Thirteen 2 session 9
Skalla, Hilde and Svald go to investigate the gunshots and find a party of Tsonnontouan Atenrosra who claim to be an advance scouting group for the local Katkwarà:yę'uhchírę' Karagwasischijro who are also interested in retrieving the guns. Back at the cave, Lucas feels pulled to return. When the others return with the elves, T:chuuoneega, one of the Katkwarà:yę'uhchírę' who was serpent-marked during the war, tries to draw Lucas into his confidence. The party also investigate older tracks found at the cave.
- Session date: 2022-01-22
- In Game date: Picking up from last session
Skalla, Hildie, and Svald go to investigate the shots
<Narrator> All right, so, last we left off, you were in the cave where the cannons are buried, and you all heard gunshots in the middle distance. What're you doing?
* Pierre looks alarmed
<Skalla> We need to find out what's going on.
* Hildie readies her rifle and heads toward the cave mouth
* Skalla goes with
<Welumque> (this doesn't seem like it could be a hunting party or something like that, does it?)
<Hildie> Stay behind me
<Welumque> Let's be cautious. These are not familiar lands.
<Narrator> (A hunting party wouldn't likely be shooting this many shots.)
* Skalla nods in agreement
* Hildie will look out and see if anything is visible
* Lucas will close his eyes and try to concentrate on what the spirits might be telling him - if they are alert to danger or seem agitated, etc.
* Svald creeps up with them
* Skalla will keep her behind her and Hildie
<Skalla> let us know if you sense anyb more.. active spirits.
* Svald nods
<Narrator> (Roll me Notice, folks)
<Skalla> Lucas, I need you to keep anyone in the cave safe from.. whatever is in there.
<Svald> !roll 4d3-5
* Skalla rolls for Svald: [ 4d3-5 ] getting [ 3 2 1 1 ] for a total of [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ -5 ] totals [ 2 ].
* Skalla rolls [ 4d3-7 ] getting [ 3 3 1 1 ] for a total of [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ -7 ] totals [ 1 ]
<Hildie> !roll 4d3-6
* Skalla rolls for Hildie: [ 4d3-6 ] getting [ 1 2 3 3 ] for a total of [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ -6 ] totals [ 3 ].
<Welumque> !roll 4d3-7
* Skalla rolls for Welumque: [ 4d3-7 ] getting [ 3 3 3 3 ] for a total of [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ -7 ] totals [ 5 ].
<Svald> (wait I did that wrong)
<Svald> !roll 4d3-3
* Skalla rolls for Svald: [ 4d3-3 ] getting [ 3 1 3 2 ] for a total of [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ -3 ] totals [ 6 ].
<Lucas> !roll 4d3-6
* Skalla rolls for Lucas: [ 4d3-6 ] getting [ 1 2 3 2 ] for a total of [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ -6 ] totals [ 2 ].
<Skalla> (I also forgot if this counts as wilderness or not - if it does I get 3 instead of 1)
<Svald> (it did last time(
<Narrator> (It is)
<Narrator> (Svald, why did you roll twice?)
<Narrator> (Oh, wait, I see)
<Narrator> You can all get a sense that it's a small party to the north of where you are now. Svald and Welumque can narrow that down to it being about 300 yards northeast. Svald, you've got a little experience with this, so you'd say it's roughly 10 or so people firing.
<Narrator> Lucas, the spirits do seem agitated, but it feels more...anticipatory than angry.
<Svald> ... (q) there's about ten people shooting
<Lucas> The spirits here aren't angry, they're waiting for something.
<Hildie> Whatever it is, they're not shooting at us. Not at that distance.
* Lucas says to Skalla
<Welumque> (do I know anything / can I recall what was to the northeast of here? Or is that not where we have been / seen yet?)
<Skalla> (and are they shooting this way?)
<Skalla> well, let's go see
<Pierre> All of us?
<Narrator> (I don't think you've been out that way yet.)
<Welumque> This place is strange. I don't want to leave any of us in the cave until we know what this is. For all we know, it's far more dangerous in here than out there.
<Skalla> YOu stay with Lucas and Welumque
<Skalla> (bah, timing)
* Skalla makes a face
* Skalla looks to Lucas on what he thinks
<Svald> She's right
<Lucas> We can go to just outside the cave, and wait there?
<Hildie> Maybe the others should wait in the fort itself. Try to stay out of sight for now.
* Welumque nods.
<Pierre> Well... alright, Mademoiselle. Please be careful.
<Skalla> (Is there any fort left standing?)
<Narrator> (There's bits, yeah. A couple of pieces of wall that you could hide behind.)
<Narrator> (Okay, so who's going where?)
* Hildie is going to investigate
* Lucas will go to the outside of the cave and wait.
<Svald> (as skalla)
* Welumque is with Lucas, as always.
<Narrator> All right, how do y'all want to approach?
* Pierre follows Wellumque and Lucas
<Svald> (there aren't really animals around iirc?)
<Narrator> (Lucas, Welumque, and Pierre in #thirteen02 if y'all want to discuss things/just talk?)
<Narrator> (How do you mean? None immediately within sight, but I'm sure there was birdsong earlier, the usual type stuff)
<Svald> (ok well I would like to borrow a bird)
<Narrator> (How so?)
<Svald> (can I sort of cast about spiritually and find a bird to look through to see what's happening?)
<Narrator> (I'm going to rule you need to be able to see a specific bird, but you could try calling one to you first)
<Svald> (ok I will do that)
<Narrator> (Roll Will)
<Svald> !roll 4d3-4
* Skalla rolls for Svald: [ 4d3-4 ] getting [ 2 2 2 2 ] for a total of [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ -4 ] totals [ 4 ].
<Narrator> (So many fun choices for this, but) A blue jay will alight on a rock a few feet away.
<Narrator> (Are Skalla and Hildie pausing for Svald to do this?)
<Svald> (q) hello, friend... I need to borrow your eyes
<Hildie> (If they say that's what they are doing)
<Skalla> (If Svald stops, I'll stop and gesture for Hildie to slow down)
<Narrator> The bird chirps nervously, but hops and seems to signal assent.
<Svald> (q) thank you...
<Svald> (bird time!!)
<Narrator> It's always a little bit of an adjustment, but your senses shift to those of your new friend, and you can mentally nudge her to take flight towards the gunshots, which have faded away. It's a quick flight for her, and you can see figures moving around and billows of smoke still disappating near a small pond to the northeast.
* Svald will alight near them and try to figure out what's going on.
<Narrator> There's a group of native elven people with the look of warriors. A few of them have arrow wounds, which are being seen to. They look wary but not frightened, scanning the surrounding trees.
<Svald> (and they hhave guns?)
<Svald> (and how many are there)
<Narrator> (Most of them are armed, yes, and there look to be about twelve)
<Svald> (are they saying anything that I can understand?)
<Narrator> (I don't think you speak Atenrosera, do you?)
<Narrator> (They're a major tribe north of where you live, with one or two nations between you, depending on how you count it.)
<Narrator> (I don't *think
* Svald has had much contact with them.)
<Svald> (I do not)
* Svald will fly back to the group, and release the bird from their influence, thanking her again.
* Svald shudders slightly.
<Skalla> see anythign?
<Svald> There are about a dozen. Indigenous people. warriors, armed. Something attacked them with arrows. I didn't see what.
<Svald> I think they are Atenrosera. I couldn't understand what they were saying; they seemed wary but not... afraid.
<Svald> If we approached carefully, maybe they would speak to us and tell us what's going on.
<Svald> I mean, speak to you. not me.
<Hildie> Arrows. Probably got ambushed by another native group.
<Svald> I didn't see anyone else.
<Hildie> Any bodies?
* Svald shakes their head.
<Skalla> Well, they were shooting at someone
<Svald> SOme were wounded, but not seriously.
<Hildie> Well, at least we know both sides were probably lousy shots.
<Skalla> pfft. I woudln't assume that.
<Skalla> But I am wary pf approaching them - they outnumber us, we don't knwo who their enemies are, or what they're doing here
<Hildie> Maybe they'll leave on their own, but either they or their enemy might comne this way.
<Svald> (did it look like they had been coming our way?)
<Skalla> this is't really their territory, and Svald sais warriors, not just traders
<Hildie> You think they came for the guns too?
<Skalla> no, unless they're part of a bigger group.
<Svald> It would be a long way to take them back to their lands...
* Skalla nods to svald
<Skalla> we brought wagons for a reason
<Hildie> And a helluva coincidence besides.
<Hildie> So do we try to talk to them?
<Narrator> (As they had paused to take care of wounded, it's hard to say which direction they were headed)
<Skalla> yeah. This is probably the best time - but keep your eyes peeled for anyone else in the area
<Svald> if they come this direction, there is no way we will escape their notice
<Hildie> Ugh... I hate that expression. Reminds me of peeling grapes. But yeah, I will.
* Skalla nods to Svald
* Svald nods to Skalla
<Narrator> You can make your way over in that direction. How do you want to do this?
<Hildie> We should probably make ourselves known. Sneaking up on them would be a bad idea right now.
<Skalla> yes. We'll just take a direct route and announce ourselves when we get closer
* Hildie nods
* Hildie keeps her gun at her side, but loaded and ready.
<Svald> Just tell the truth... we heard the shots.
* Svald shrugs
<Hildie> And if they ask why we're here?
<Skalla> I'll handle it Hildie
* Svald looks to Skalla.
<Hildie> You're the boss.
<Skalla> let's go
They approach the Atenrosera party
<Narrator> You can enact your plan, which works in that they don't shoot you, but you are greeted by several rifles pointed in your direction.
<Skalla> Hey there
* Skalla raises her hands in a non threatening way
<Skalla> We heard gunshots
* Svald raises their hands as well, watching the Atenrosera with unguarded curiosity
* Hildie reluctantly raises her hands, but keeps hold of her rifle
* Atenrosera_Man (firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined #thirteen
* Atenrosera_Man steps to the front of the group, but none of them lower their weapons.
<Atenrosera_Man> Who are you?
* Atenrosera_Man asks in pretty good Stordammer.
<Narrator> (Actually, scratch that last bit)
<Narrator> (He'll answer in Tsonnontouan dialect)
<Skalla> I am Skalla Beritsdottir of the Stormsvallvåg, and these are some of my people
* Atenrosera_Man nods.
<Atenrosera_Man> Óhontekahèn:ta of the Tsonnontouan.
* Atenrosera_Man is now known as Ohontekahenta
<Skalla> we are both fairly far from home out here - who attacked you?
<Ohontekahenta> We didn't get a good look. They ambushed us, but luckily they were mostly poor shots.
* Ohontekahenta nods towards where two of his group are tending to the three wounded, none of them looking serious.
* Skalla nods, survey the injured
* Ohontekahenta looks over the three of you.
<Skalla> (Can I guess, uh, based on the size of the arrows, if it was more likely halflings or elves?)
<Skalla> We're here to survey the fort
<Narrator> (Looks like it could be a mix.)
<Ohontekahenta> Similar. What is your interest in the old fort?
* Skalla grins, recognizing that they still have guns trained
<Skalla> I suspect rather different than yours, if this is your party
<Skalla> maybe we can help each other out, if we can speak in friendship
* Ohontekahenta looks at Skalla, then turns his head and nods to his men, who lower their weapons.
* Svald puts their hands down then
* Hildie will as well
* Skalla also, and extend one for a more formal greeting
* Ohontekahenta steps forward to shake Skalla's hand.
* Skalla can shake, then
<Ohontekahenta> We're here on behalf of the Katkwarà:yę'uhchírę'.
<Skalla> (Do I know who or what that is?)
* Ohontekahenta nods again, this time towards the tallest member of his group. They're unusually dressed, in the usual mix of native and colonial styles, but with a scarf wrapped around their lower face and a wide Mariannais hat covering most of the rest.
<Narrator> (It's a Karagwasischijro tribe, you know that much.)
* Skalla looks up at him, guessing he is probably serpent marked
<Skalla> I know of them, a little
<Narrator> You can't see much, but you can probably see a bit of scales on the thin line of skin showing above the scarf.
<Skalla> Are you here because of the spirits?
* Ohontekahenta narrows his eyes.
<Svald> There is... something here.
<Svald> I am, uh, I sense it.
<Skalla> As do other in our group.
* Ohontekahenta turns towards the two healers. One of them looks up, pauses for a long moment, and frowns, shaking his head.
<Ohontekahenta> That's not our concern here, but it is a concern.
* Skalla nods
<Ohontekahenta> I ask again: what is your concern with the fort?
<Skalla> We're recovering some materials that were left behind
<Ohontekahenta> What sort of materials?
<Ohontekahenta> Then we're at cross-purposes, I'm afraid, as that's why we're here as well. The Katkwarà:yę'uhchírę' wish to recover said cannons.
* Skalla frowns
<Skalla> they should talk to the [Owähé'sda'ga'gá' 's tribe]
<Ohontekahenta> Perhaps that is so, but these are their lands.
<Skalla> (are they?)
<Narrator> (Roll me...Lore or Contacts, your choice)
<Skalla> (I will roll lore and can I use my ties to the Karagawsischijro?)
* Skalla rolls [ 4d3-6 ] getting [ 1 2 3 1 ] for a total of [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ -6 ] totals [ 1 ]
<Narrator> (Sure, you just spend a Fate point for +2)
<Skalla> (so 3)
<Narrator> He's technically right, but it's not like that's an entirely convincing legal argument, tribal or colonial, in regards to the guns. It's basically salvage.
<Skalla> Sure, but not their guns. You don't seem equipped for it, though.
<Ohontekahenta> We're the advance party. They've left these lands alone for some time, and were worried who might be here. Clearly, they had reason.
<Skalla> what timing we all have!
* Ohontekahenta nods.
<Svald> Who was shooting at you?
<Ohontekahenta> I'm not sure who or what that was. Karagwasischijro would have charged, and I don't think they were Lèxkweyok.
<Skalla> Look. I'm a buisnesswoman. I think we can figure out some kind of compromise here.
<Skalla> At the moment, it doesn't seem like any of have anything in hand to fight over
* Ohontekahenta nods.
* Skalla nods to the wrapped up person.
<Skalla> Are you able to soeak for the Katkwarà:yę'uhchírę', or is he?
* Katkwarayeuhchire_Person (email@example.com) has joined #thirteen
* Katkwarayeuhchire_Person steps forward a bit awkwardly.
<Katkwarayeuhchire_Person> I suppose I can, yes.
* Skalla nods
<Katkwarayeuhchire_Person> I am T:chuuoneega.
* Skalla offers him her hand to shake
* Katkwarayeuhchire_Person is now known as Tchuuoneega
* Tchuuoneega pauses a moment, then reaches out to shake Skalla's hand.
* Skalla shakes
<Skalla> I am surprised tat your people knew of the canons - they were well hidden when the place was abandoned
<Tchuuoneega> ...I was here when the cannons were hidden.
<Skalla> With the fort's forces?
* Tchuuoneega stares angrily at Skalla for a moment.
* Svald shifts her weight uncomfortably
* Skalla just nods
<Skalla> (sec, dog)
<Skalla> We were told of them by another veteran
<Skalla> I guess he considered them more fair game.
<Hildie> Interesting that we both came looking for them at the same time.
* Skalla nods to Hildie
<Skalla> regaedless - we came here prepared. It would save your people some effort, wouldn't it if we can work this out
<Ohontekahenta> We have more people coming.
<Tchuuoneega> They are on *our
<Skalla> (is Ohontekahenta bluffing?)
<Skalla> Sure, but you know that doens't make them yours.
<Narrator> (Roll Empathy)
* Skalla rolls [ 4d3-8 ] getting [ 3 1 2 2 ] for a total of [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ -8 ] totals [ 0 ]
<Skalla> If they are yours and your people wnt them - why not send your own people?
<Narrator> (Got anything you can invoke with a Fate point?)
<Skalla> (I'm not sure anything applies without stretching - I culd say that I am part of a trading family and probably have some experience in these situations, or that I'm tryng to look out for my own by protecting my friend's interest here)
<Narrator> (I'd be okay with the latter)
<Skalla> (okay, then I'll take the +2)
<Narrator> There's definitely more to it than he's saying. If you had to guess, he's just here for the cannons and some or all of them aren't going to make their way to Tchuuoneega's people.
<Narrator> As to more folks coming, that would almost certainly have to be the case, but there's no telling when.
<Skalla> (cool, thats about what I figured)
<Skalla> We could take some of these guns to your people, and some for my friends, now.
<Skalla> My family trades fairly.
* Tchuuoneega looks nervously at Ohontekahenta.
<Ohontekahenta> Why would the Katkwarà:yę'uhchírę' pay for cannon already under their control?
* Skalla considers.
<Skalla> Well, I wasn't saying we would sell them. As for their control - my people are the ones who are on site right now
* Pierre (Mibbit@bras-base-mtrlpq4396w-grc-01-65-92-225-196.dsl.bell.ca) Quit (Quit: https://mibbit.com Online IRC Client)
<Ohontekahenta> But they are not here right this moment.
<Narrator> The Atenrosera tense, not raising their weapons, but clearly ready.
* Hildie does the same.
<Skalla> no, they're on alert, because of the gunshots
* Pierre (~Mibbit@bras-base-mtrlpq4396w-grc-01-65-92-225-196.dsl.bell.ca) has joined #thirteen
<Skalla> So - what would you like to do, T:chuuoneega?
* Tchuuoneega pauses, looking nervously looking back and forth between Skalla and Ohontekahenta.
<Tchuuoneega> Why don't we all just secure the cannons first?
* Skalla nods
<Tchuuoneega> So we're not arguing about something not in hand?
* Ohontekahenta scowls, but, after a second, nods.
<Skalla> a reasonable compromise for the moment
* Skalla smiles at him
<Ohontekahenta> Let us go, then.
<Skalla> The cave is this way.
<Narrator> The party will accompany you, still watching their surroundings.
Meanwhile, Welumque dissuades Lucas from reentering the cave
- Pierre looks worried
<Welumque> It's not all like this, young Pierre.
<Welumque> Nature, out here, it's dangerous, yes, but beautiful.
<Welumque> My people have walked these forests for centuries.
<Pierre> Yes, it is beautiful.
<Pierre> I'm just concerned about the shots.
<Welumque> And so you should be. But whoever is out there shooting, they aren't shooting at us or our party.
- Lucas is mostly trying to keep focus on the spirits and so is fairly quiet for now
<Pierre> No... I don't suppose it's just a hunting party, though?
<Welumque> No, I don't suppose so.
<Pierre> And who are they shooting at? Perhaps there are two groups.
<Welumque> It could be. <Pierre> No point speculating, I suppose.
- Pierre watches Lucas in his apparent trance
<Pierre> (to Welumque)
What about the, ah, the spirits? Are they guarding this place? Do we have to appease them in some way?
<Welumque> These words ... guard ... appease ... they are often not the right ones, when it comes to spirits. But perhaps, yes. We don't know yet why they are here, what are their intentions. <Pierre> I suppose Lucas will be able to tell us, once he's done?
<Welumque> I hope so.
- Pierre looks around the area
<Pierre> !roll 4d3-5
- Skalla rolls for Pierre: [ 4d3-5 ] getting [ 2 3 3 3 ] for a total of [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ -5 ] totals [ 6 ].
<Narrator> (You do see some tracks in the area that look like they wouldn't have come from your party: human- or elf-sized, older than y'all's recent tracks, but relatively recent.)
- Pierre points them out to Welumque
<Pierre> These could be the same people who were shooting... <Welumque> Hmm, perhaps. <Pierre> (Can I tell how many people the tracks represent?)
- Welumque looks at the tracks; can I tell anything more about them?
<Narrator> (You're not quite sure. Several different people, at least.)
<Narrator> (Roll...Investigate, Steve) <Welumque> !roll 4d3-5
- Skalla rolls for Welumque: [ 4d3-5 ] getting [ 1 2 2 3 ] for a total of [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ -5 ] totals [ 3 ].
<Narrator> The tracks go into and out of the cave, over time it looks. You know it hasn't rained in a few days, so they're reasonably fresh. You'd guess they were elven; lighter than humans but the same size.
<Welumque> Elves, most likely. Recent, but more than one trip, and more than one individual.
<Welumque> This is their land, I suppose we shouldn't be surprised.
<Pierre> (Did the tracks go into the cave, or are they just in the area?)
<Narrator> (They do go in and out)
<Pierre> They do go into the cave. :/
<Welumque> I'm not surprised. We should not be so arrogant as to assume we are the only ones who know of this place.
<Narrator> (Lucas, the spirits seem a bit disappointed at this point.)
<Pierre> No, but I hope they won't object that *we* are going in there.
<Lucas> (disappointed like "oh nobody's going to kill each other?" disappointed we left the cave or something?)
<Narrator> (The former, you're guessing)
<Welumque> Well we don't know what their connection is to the guns we've come for. Not really. But one thing's clear, this place is more than just a cache of war loot.
<Lucas> The spirits are ... settling down. I think there will not be violence right now.
- Pierre turns to look at him
<Pierre> Oh... that's a relief. I hope they're right. <Narrator> (Lucas, you probably do feel a pull towards the cave, even out at the mouth now.)
- Lucas turns his gaze towards the interior of the cave
<Lucas> I need to go back in... <Welumque> Not now, Lucas. For now we must stay here.
- Lucas looks uncomfortable with that, and will try to reach out to the spirits inside nevertheless, to get some idea of what they are trying to achieve from him.
<Narrator> (Roll Empathy)
- Pierre also looks uncomfortable at these statements, though probably for different reasons
<Welumque> (me or Lucas?) <Lucas> !roll 4d3-3
- Skalla rolls for Lucas: [ 4d3-3 ] getting [ 2 3 2 1 ] for a total of [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ -3 ] totals [ 5 ].
<Lucas> (that's with my +2 for dealing with spirits, if that doesn't apply then 3)
<Narrator> (There's a sense of searching, like a child reaching for their mother.)
<Narrator> (That shouldn't have been in parentheses :P )
<Lucas> I'm sorry, but I do need to go back in. I won't go far.
<Pierre> I... are you sure? Mademoiselle did say to wait here..
<Welumque> Lucas, mem. Do not go in. Not now.
<Welumque> (is this something I can do something about, to reduce the pressure on Lucas?)
<Narrator> (Oh, actually, yes. You'd roll something like Rapport to create an Advantage that Lucas can use to resist)
<Welumque> !roll 4d3-5
- Skalla rolls for Welumque: [ 4d3-5 ] getting [ 3 3 3 2 ] for a total of [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ -5 ] totals [ 6 ].
<Welumque> (not too shabby)
<Welumque> Child, you don't need to do this now. They'll be here still, waiting for you, when the time is right.
<Narrator> (Basically, Welumque is making a pretty good argument, but I will leave it up to Julie whether or not Lucas listens. :) )
<Lucas> but they need me
- Lucas looks unhappy
<Welumque> I need you, mem. Come, sit with me.
- Lucas will compromise by staying outside the cave and going to sit with Welumque, but continuing to try to communicate with the spirits mentally, in a way to try to keep them calm.
<Narrator> There's a lot to sort through, but you have a sense of dangerous innocence, like an immature viper, coiled and frightened, unaware of how dangerous it is.
<Welumque> That's it. I'm here with you.
<Narrator> (Ugh, double dangerous. That's what I get for writing on the fly :P )
<Lucas> (I guess question - do I feel like this is one single spirit/entity, or do I feel like there are multiple at play here?)
<Narrator> (Prrrrrobably just one, if you had to guess, but they can be weird like that.)
- Pierre watches them for a bit, unwilling to interfere, and settles on keeping an eye out for anyone approaching instead
Skalla, Hildie, and Svald bring the elves back to camp, and T:chuuoneega approaches Lucas
<Narrator> Pierre, Lucas, and Welumque, your companions return with quite a few new faces.
* Skalla will turn to take the lead, making an "FUCK, ARGH" kind of face at Hildie and Svald
* Pierre shifts uneasily
* Welumque stands, making sure Lucas gets up with her too.
* Lucas looks up as the others approach and will stand when Welumque remind him to.
* Hildie looks tense.
<Skalla> Thank you for your patience
* Skalla says to those who were waiting
* Pierre nods
<Pierre> Is, ah, is everything alright, Mademoiselle?
* Ohontekahenta nods curtly in greeting.
<Welumque> These are not the shooters, then, I take it.
<Skalla> This is T:chuuoneega of the Katkwarà:yę'uhchírę, and a vetran of the conflict at the fort hre - his poeple also have an interest i the cannons. Óhontekahèn:ta of the Tsonnontouan and his peopel are here acting for them as an advance party for their own recovery project.
<Skalla> For the moment, we have agreeed to work together to secure the cannons, and then we will... continue out dicsussions as to how we will distribute them.
<Welumque> That's well enough I suppose, except for the fact that you folks were just being shot at.
* Ohontekahenta nods again.
<Hildie> Yeah, that is still concerning.
<Skalla> there is that detail.
<Ohontekahenta> We should all be on guard. There's someone else out there.
<Svald> (m) or something
<Ohontekahenta> Have you set up your camp?
<Skalla> Oh yes. That is where the rest of our guards are - we were confirming the location within the cave when we heard the shots
<Skalla> We would not recommend camping at the fort.
* Skalla says, glancing at Tchuoneega, and the cupke of healers she noticed earlier.
<Tchuuoneega> Hmm. That's probably for the best.
<Skalla> (couple, bah)
* Tchuuoneega nervously casts his gaze about, which lingers for a moment on Lucas before continuing.
<Narrator> The healers do look a bit concerned, now that they're this close.
<Skalla> Would you liek to set up your own first?
* Lucas is used to being stared at.
<Ohontekahenta> Perhaps we should consolidate our camps, in case whoever that was before returns.
* Skalla nods
<Skalla> alright then.
* Skalla will take them up to her camp
<Skalla> I'm sure your men and ours can work out a watch system that will be amenable to all
<Skalla> Hildie can help coordinate
* Hildie will set that up
<Skalla> (actually scrap the 'help', and I'd probably use her rank/title)
<Narrator> You can get camp sorted, with the Atenrosea and their ally(?) incorporated.
* Tchuuoneega will try to catch Lucas alone at some point during that.
* Lucas looks up at the newcomer with some wariness
<Lucas> what do you want?
<Tchuuoneega> (quietly) Brother, it is good you answered the call.
<Lucas> I came to help my friends. I didn't hear anything until I got close to here.
* Tchuuoneega lowers his scarf to reveal scales across much of his lower face and along the right side.
<Tchuuoneega> But you feel it? The serpent calling to us.
<Lucas> Yes. It's ... young. like a child.
* Tchuuoneega nods.
<Tchuuoneega> It needs care.
<Lucas> is that why you came here? not the cannons?
* Tchuuoneega nods.
<Lucas> what about the others?
<Tchuuoneega> I would imagine it's why you are here, as well, though you may not have known it.
<Tchuuoneega> Hmph. Tsonnontouan bullies.
<Lucas> so what is your intention? to let them take the cannons they came for, and stay behind?
<Tchuuoneega> They will not have the cannons.
* Tchuuoneega says, his voice hard.
* Tchuuoneega pauses, giving Lucas an evaluating look.
<Tchuuoneega> Can I trust you, brother?
<Lucas> You do not know me. Perhaps we share some... past experiences. But I am not what you think I am.
* Tchuuoneega nods, looking a little disappointed.
<Tchuuoneega> Then trust at least that what I say is true. And your friends had best be wary.
* Tchuuoneega puts his scarf back in place and walks away.
Everyone else checks in with Lucas. They investigate the tracks to the cave and briefly discuss options
* Lucas will go back to Welumque and Skalla, unsettled.
<Welumque> What is it, mem?
<Skalla> YOu okay?
<Lucas> The one with them, who keeps his face covered, spoke with me. He came with them to answer the call of this spirit.
<Lucas> He thinks the same of me, I believe.
<Skalla> I wondered. The Tsonnontouan want those cannon for themselves
<Svald> SO this isn't going to go well.
<Lucas> He says they will not have them. I don't know why he is so certain of that, but I fear there are several answers, none favourable.
* Skalla nods
<Skalla> I have been worried about that - whether theres some kind of magic on the canon, plus whatever svald sensed in there...
<Lucas> The spirit in there is like a child, young, new. It will seek... nourishment to grow.
<Welumque> One must ask why the locals hadn't simply taken them before, if it was so easy.
<Skalla> I don't knwo that the locals all knew about them
<Skalla> T:chuuoneega was here when they were hidden
<Skalla> but if the spirit called him, that explains the timining
<Skalla> well I'm not really keen oh, uh, feeding any fledgeling snake spirits
<Skalla> but the Tsonnontouan are goig to be a problem
<Lucas> could they be dissuaded, with reason?
<Skalla> I don't know what kind if reason we have to apply here
<Skalla> they do have people coming, I'm just not sure when
<Welumque> Whereas we have everything here already to take them with us now.
<Skalla> maybe they yes, but there are nearly half a dozenof them, and their warriors are tough
<Welumque> Oh, of course we can't take them by force.
<Welumque> I simply mean, they had planned perhaps to come, find them, then leave and come back. But now they can't leave, because we're here.
<Skalla> I'm hoping they feel the same at this point
<Skalla> but if their reinforcements are close.... then that tips things again
<Skalla> I don't get the sense that they are, though
<Skalla> Lucas, how dangerous is that spirit?
<Skalla> or the cave?
<Lucas> I think it doesn't know its own power. It is ... innocent, but may be dangerous without intent to harm.
<Skalla> what do you mean by innocent?
<Lucas> I don't feel that it is malicious. I think it is dangerous, potentially, but not because it wishes to hurt people.
<Lucas> It may harm if it feels threatened, or because it doesn't understand... but that is just my sense of it.
<Skalla> or because its hungry?
<Lucas> Maybe. I still think I could try and communicate with it further, and maybe understand more. But there are... certain risks to that.
<Skalla> what kind of risks?
<Lucas> Mm... it's hard to explain >.>
<Welumque> Risks to you personally? To all of us?
<Lucas> this is a part of my life I have tried to put behind me, and doing this may open me up again to such spirits.
* Lucas says as carefully as he's able
<Skalla> I'm not asking you to do that
* Skalla says firmly
<Lucas> I don't think simply communicating would put you at any greater risk.
<Skalla> what about the markings that svald saw?
<Lucas> (what do I think about those, if anything? does it seem like there was some ritual or symbolic purpose to them that I might recognize?)
<Narrator> (They seemed both ritual and symbolic, but not one you're familiar with. They seemed haphazard, unskilled.)
<Lucas> (I forget if this was mentioned, apologies if so, but did they seem new or like they'd been there a while?)
<Welumque> This is a place that the elves have visited. They know about it, and probably know more than we do. Pierre found some footprints that show they've been here recently.
<Welumque> I know little of elven marks - but surely these were left by them?
* Skalla frowns
<Skalla> Lucas do you think this spirit could have been 'fed' before? >.>
<Skalla> maybe this isn't the first group he'd guided here
* Lucas shrugs
<Lucas> It could be...
<Narrator> (They've been there at least a little while)
<Lucas> I don't know, but it's possible.
<Skalla> I want to see those tracks
* Welumque can show Skalla where they are
<Welumque> Good eyes on that Pierre there, to spot them. If I were fifty years younger, perhaps ...
* Welumque chuckles to herself
<Skalla> (first I want to look back at the tracks we made on the way here and uh, familiarizi myself with someon fo them >.>)\
* Skalla gives Welumque a bemused look
<Narrator> (You can familiarize yourself with the tracks easily enough.)
<Skalla> (Okay, then back to the cave to look - I want to see if there are any that match up at all, but also get a sense of like - is there the same amount of tracks out as in, can I get any sense of general numbers. I feel like one of my wilderness specializations wshould help here, depending on whether it is perception or survival)
<Narrator> (Roll Investigate, and you can invoke an aspect)
<Skalla> (nuts, but yea
* Skalla rolls [ 4d3-8 ] getting [ 2 2 1 2 ] for a total of [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ -8 ] totals [ -1 ]
<Skalla> (pfffft, well, I can invoke my comfortable outdoorswman I guess)
<Skalla> (for a 1 :p)]
<Narrator> It looks about the same amount going in as out. You'd guess somewhere between five and ten people, over the course of the last week or two, depending on environmental factors you can't be entirely sure of.
<Narrator> None of them match your new "companions."
<Skalla> well. This is someoe different.
<Skalla> aybe someone else answering the call
<Skalla> maybe whoever attacked them in the woods
<Svald> That would make sense...
<Skalla> well, form the weaponry that seemed like a more mixed group
<Svald> I wonder if there is a reason they didn't attack us
<Svald> Or if we just passed through when they weren't around.
<Skalla> maybe its because Lucas doens't hide himself as much, who knows
<Skalla> whoever these people are aren't ooking for the canon as far as I can tell
<Skalla> we'd have to look at the tracks *in* the cave to get a sense of that though
* Svald nods
* Skalla looks aroudn at (whoever is with us I guess) to see if they seem up for that or not
<Welumque> I think we should be careful. That cave is a powerful place.
<Svald> Yes... very careful.
* Svald peers in uneasily
* Skalla nods
<Skalla> well, we're going back in for the cannons, at least. I can see then
<Skalla> I'm torn between just tryng to scare off the Tsonnontouan or having them on hand in case we do need extra support if we get in trouble in there
<Skalla> Svald, do you think you cood see if you can find who or where this other grou out there is?
<Skalla> maybe we can make contact there too, or at least get some more information