Thirteen 2 session 5
Lucas meets and treats Prelated Beaufort, who seems to have a spiritual ailment. Mina leads Skalla, Hildegard and Svald to meet with Leandra and clinch their deal with the marked papers. They are ambushed by Bluecoats, but are able to get away with the goods. Gillis of the Säteri approaches Welumque to enlist her aid i making connections with a local Lèxkweyok Halfling group, the Koowäho’ke. Pierre is employed by Hjalmar, alias Kaldrgaldr, to get his printing presses running.
- Session date: 2021-09-11
- In Game date: a week from previous session, more or less
Lucas meets and treats Prelate Beaufort
<Narrator> Lucas, perhaps a week after your last session with M. Beaulieu, you'll receive word from Mme. Beaulieu that arrangements have been made for you to meet with Prelate Beaufort the day after tomorrow. You're to meet Mme. Beaulieu at their house in Lequeot.
* Lucas will go to meet them at the planned time, then.
<Narrator> The Beaulieu townhouse is appropriately large and fancy, as befits a family of their station. A servant will show you in to a study that is an almost exact replica of Mme. Beaulieu's one at their farm.
* NPC1 is now known as Alienor
* Alienor enters shortly thereafter.
<Alienor> M. Flood, thank you for coming.
<Lucas> Thank you for having me.
<Alienor> Your trip down wasn't to arduous, I hope?
<Lucas> No, it was no trouble.
<Alienor> Excellent, then we can go to meet Prelate Beaufort immediately. As we discussed, discretion is important, so I wonder if you would be opposed to something of a disguise?
<Lucas> Ah, I suppose that would be all right. What sort of disguise?
* Uhleeshuh (firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined #thirteen
<Narrator> A servant enters with a small pile of clothing, which he hands to Lucas.
<Alienor> Thank you, Edmond, that will be all.
* Lucas takes a look at the clothing.
<Narrator> It looks to be a set of robes for a novice priest.
* Uhleeshuh is now known as Mina
<Narrator> (Or priestess, I suppose. Basically the same garment.)
<Lucas> (is it something I can just pull on over my current clothes or do I have to totally get changed?)
<Narrator> (You can probably just pull it over what you're wearing now.)
* Lucas will put it on, then.
<Alienor> Excellent. Her household knows me, so we shouldn't have much problem.
* Lucas nods
<Alienor> Shall we?
* Alienor will lead the way to a waiting carriage.
* Lucas will follow her.
<Narrator> It is, on the whole, not a long ride to the large and, for the colonies, ornate Basilica of Saint Callidora. The carriage moves past the central building into the church complex to a surprisingly simple home not too distant.
<Narrator> A sister of the church comes out to greet Mme. Beaulieu, steadfastly paying no attention to Lucas. She'll take you both inside and lead you to a small bedroom.
* NPC2 is now known as Prelate_Beaufort
* Prelate_Beaufort lies on the bed, resting. She is an older human woman, perhaps in her late seventies, with long gray hair. Even still, she gives a sense of vitality, dimmed now by whatever malady has beset upon her.
* Alienor approaches the bed quietly.
<Narrator> (Roll me Notice, Julie)
<Narrator> (And you can add your stuff for spirits)
<Lucas> (oh sure, make me open my sheet ;)
<Lucas> (I don't have a bonus to notice on spirits, just to empathy. I could apply my spirit-haunted seer if that's what you mean?)
<Narrator> (Ah, okay. You can add that if you want to spend a fate point, which does seem appropriate here)
<Lucas> (ok, I'll do that)
<Lucas> (does that give me a +1? I forget)
<Lucas> !roll 4d3-4
* Lannie-werk rolls for Lucas: [ 4d3-4 ] getting [ 3 1 2 3 ] for a total of [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ -4 ] totals [ 5 ].
<Lucas> (I think that's right then. -8, -6 because notice is 2, -2 more because of spirit-haunted)
<Narrator> (Basically, you can always spend a Fate point for a +1, but, if you have aspects that would come into play, you get +2)
<Narrator> (And that can be per aspect, so if multiple one's would work, you can spend multiple fate points to get the bonus multiple times)
<Narrator> Lucas, you can hear the phantom sound of scales sliding against one another that signals some attention from your (former) patron, and you can sense the presence of powerful spirits.
* Alienor says gently.
* Prelate_Beaufort opens her eyes and turns to regard Alienor with a smile.
* Lucas tenses up, wary of whatever is here.
<Prelate_Beaufort> Alienor, it's good to see you, but certainly you have better things to do than visit a dying old woman.
<Alienor> You're not there yet and, gods-willing, not for some time.
<Alienor> I brought someone to see you.
* Prelate_Beaufort looks at Lucas.
<Prelate_Beaufort> And who might you be, young penitent?
<Lucas> My name is Lucas Flood, Prelate. I am a healer - I was asked to see if I might be able to help you.
<Prelate_Beaufort> I'm sorry to waste your time, Lucas, but I suppose Alienor should get her money's worth.
* Prelate_Beaufort says, her voice kindly.
<Prelate_Beaufort> And you may call me Agnès.
<Lucas> No time spent trying to ease another's suffering is wasted, I think.
* Prelate_Beaufort smiles at that.
<Prelate_Beaufort> I could not agree more.
<Lucas> Can you tell me about your condition, and I can examine you?
* Prelate_Beaufort nods.
* Prelate_Beaufort shakily holds up her arm, which is barely more than skin and bones.
<Prelate_Beaufort> It's been progressing for some years now, but lately I'm so weak I'm essentially confined to bed. I think I'll soon be called to higher service.
* Lucas will carefully take her hand to examine her.
<Narrator> (Roll me Will)
<Lucas> (can I apply a Fate point?)
<Lucas> (since my will is terrible i need all the help i can get ;)
* Pierre (Mibbit@bras-base-mtrlpq4396w-grc-01-65-92-225-94.dsl.bell.ca) Quit (Quit: https://mibbit.com Online IRC Client)
<Lucas> !roll 4d3-6
* Lannie-werk rolls for Lucas: [ 4d3-6 ] getting [ 3 3 1 3 ] for a total of [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ -6 ] totals [ 4 ].
<Narrator> In a moment, you have something like a flashback to the war, the horror of battle, battle cries and screams in cacophony. Through it, you have the impression of a shield with a compass rose, battered but still held strong.
<Lucas> (does that symbol mean anything to me?)
<Narrator> (You're probably aware it's the symbol of St. Callidora, the Pangaian patron of the eponymous land.)
<Lucas> (ah okay!)
* Lucas is slightly shaken by the vision, but will try to keep his expression calm.
<Prelate_Beaufort> Are you all right?
<Lucas> I saw a sign of the shield of your faith, attacked in battle but still holding strong. I imagine it indicates your struggle for many years, as you said.
* Pierre (~Mibbit@bras-base-mtrlpq4396w-grc-01-65-92-225-94.dsl.bell.ca) has joined #thirteen
<Lucas> But if this means something else to you, it would be good to know...
<Prelate_Beaufort> When you say the symbol of my faith, which do you mean?
<Lucas> A shield with a compass rose.
<Prelate_Beaufort> Ah, St. Callidora. She is my patron, yes.
<Prelate_Beaufort> Though I've never borne her shield in battle.
<Prelate_Beaufort> That has never been my calling.
<Lucas> The battle may be a symbol of the struggle you are enduring. Some force or illness attacking you...
<Alienor> What sort of force?
<Lucas> I am not certain. I sense there are powerful spirits here but I am not sure of their nature or purpose yet.
<Lucas> (can I try to get a better sense of the spirit(s) here? if they're malevolent or beneficial or otherwise involved in her illness in some way?)
<Narrator> (Sure. Roll Empathy.)
<Lucas> !roll 4d3-4
* Lannie-werk rolls for Lucas: [ 4d3-4 ] getting [ 1 1 1 1 ] for a total of [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ -4 ] totals [ 0 ].
<Narrator> (That was rough. I think you have one more fate point left?)
<Lucas> (I do, but I was kind of intending to save it for if I need ot try and heal her)
<Narrator> (Heh, okay)
<Lucas> (I'll just take whatever terrible thing is coming to me ;)
<Narrator> You take time to open yourself to the spirit world, and the chaos of battle descends again upon your senses. You see a battlefield in chaos. Though you hear cannon and musket shot, the combatants seem to be animals. A pair of lions mauls one another, while nearby a giant snapping turtle hisses at the bear attacking it. Overhead a pair of winged humanoids clash, one with two faces and one with four wings. Stars plummet as a
<Narrator> crescent moon hangs overheard like a scythe about to fall.
<Narrator> (Take 2 Stress)
<Lucas> (ok - physical or mental? I have 2 boxes)
<Narrator> (So it should just tick off your +2 box)
<Narrator> You find yourself caught by Alienor as you stumble.
<Alienor> M. Flood!
<Lucas> I'm all right... the spirits are warring.
<Lucas> It is troubling.
* Prelate_Beaufort nods and lays back.
<Prelate_Beaufort> What did you see?
<Lucas> I saw a battlefield, with two lions fighting one another, as well as a giant turtle fighting against a bear. In the air, two human figures fought, one with two faces and one with four wings.
<Lucas> The stars were falling and there was a crescent moon.
* Prelate_Beaufort nods and sighs.
<Prelate_Beaufort> I think I am not the only one condemned.
<Lucas> What do you mean?
<Prelate_Beaufort> The war with the great serpent is over, for now, but conflict still plagues us.
<Prelate_Beaufort> People are forgetting the lessons of the last war already.
<Lucas> I think for those who were there, it is not forgotten so easily.
<Prelate_Beaufort> I can only pray you are correct.
<Lucas> Let me see if there is anything I can do to make you more comfortable.
* Prelate_Beaufort closes her eyes but nods.
* Lucas will see if he can come to any conclusions about her illness and possible treatments or at least something to ease her suffering.
<Narrator> (Roll me...I think we said Lore?)
<Lucas> (sure - with the +2 for healing-related knowledge?)
<Lucas> (can I also use my last fate point to add my spirit-haunted healer aspect to this roll?)
<Lucas> !roll 4d3
* Lannie-werk rolls for Lucas: [ 4d3 ] getting [ 3 2 1 2 ] for a total of [ 8 ].
<Lucas> (does my stress do anything to that? is it a minus?)
<Narrator> (No, it doesn't do anything.)
<Narrator> Trying a few different techniques, you're able to at least allow her to rest comfortably for the time being. You'll need to take some time to work on the overarching problem, which, while certainly not entirely natural, isn't helped by the Prelate's age.
<Narrator> She'll manage to drift off to a peaceful sleep and Mme. Beaufort will walk you back out.
<Lucas> I hope this helps a little. I will continue to examine the broader issue...
<Alienor> I appreciate anything you can do to help.
<Alienor> Agnès is like a second mother to me.
* Lucas nods, but remains troubled by the vision.
Mina brings Skalla, Hildegarde and Svald to meet Leandra and make the exchange for the totally legitimate marked papers
<Narrator> Mina, Leandra will send a messenger to tell you to meet her at midnight on Svart Tomine's Island, a small island in the bay that's a popular point for smugglers, as jurisdiction over the island is not entirely agreed upon.
* Mina will wear the appropriately dark clothing
<Narrator> (Presumably y'all can meet up prior to plan, etc.)
<Narrator> (Oh, hey, perhaps at Charlotta's)
* Hildegard will bring my sword and and a pistol, just in case. Pistol tucked into her overcoat.
* Svald hangs back with Skalla, hands stuffed in their large pockets
<Skalla> (Pistol probably reasonable yeah, though not Skalla's preference)
<Narrator> (I guess I do have a logistics question. The island is a bit less than 10 miles from Fastning Irena. Do you want to row all that way, or ride up the peninsula, get a boat there, cross, and come back?)
<Narrator> (Either is fine, it's just a lot of rowing. ;) )
<Skalla> (can we go when the tides are changing to make it easy going bith ways? If that's the case row all he way is fine, I think, between the two of us. We can change plans on the way back if necessary)
<Narrator> (That works.)
<Narrator> (Can I get folks to roll me Physique, please)
<Hildegard> !roll 4d3-5
* Lannie-werk rolls for Hildegard: [ 4d3-5 ] getting [ 2 2 2 2 ] for a total of [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ -5 ] totals [ 3 ].
<Skalla> !roll 4d3-5
* Lannie-werk rolls for Skalla: [ 4d3-5 ] getting [ 2 3 2 1 ] for a total of [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ -5 ] totals [ 3 ].
* Lannie-werk rolls for Mina: [ Error. The syntax is !roll xdx+x. ].
<Mina> !roll 4d3-8
* Lannie-werk rolls for Mina: [ 4d3-8 ] getting [ 3 2 1 1 ] for a total of [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ -8 ] totals [ -1 ].
<Mina> (sorry, you said folks, and now I'm thinking you meant the rowing ones)
<Narrator> (Well, maybe you all take turns.)
<Narrator> (Hildy and Skalla are fine. Mina, you're a little tired, but otherwise okay.)
<Skalla> (we can let Mina think she has to take a turn and then gently laugh at her a bit and then take over again ;)
<Mina> (Yeah, Mina's method of spying and thieving is not very...active.)
<Narrator> Svart Tomine's Island is a forested rock at the north end of the bay, situated between Vinmark to the west and Khalijan to the east. It's a bit cloudy tonight, but that's not as much of a problem for everyone but Mina.
<Narrator> You're supposed to land on the north side of the island, and, per Leandra's message, you'll get a quick double flash of a hooded lantern to signal you.
* Svald is committing these images to memory
<Skalla> fun bit of nonsense for some magic rags, ja?
* Skalla winks at her coconspirators
<Hildegard> Seems a bit overkill...
<Svald> It's pretty.
* Skalla shrugs
<Skalla> Maybe, maybe not?
<Narrator> As you get close to shore, you can make out two figures waiting for you. Mina, with what little light you have, you recognize Leandra.
* Alienor is now known as Leandra
<Mina> Leandra. How fares it?
<Leandra> Good tides. Yourself?
<Skalla> Didn't thikn this was a names kinda meeting
<Skalla> but well met nonetheless
<Leandra> Ordinarily, it wouldn't be, and I don't need to know yours.
<Leandra> But I've known Mina since she was tiny, so...
* Leandra shrugs.
* Skalla grins
<Hildegard> She's still tiny.
<Skalla> taller'n you!
* Leandra laughs.
* Hildegard grins.
* Mina rolls eye
<Leandra> Shall we see what we're going to all this trouble over?
<Skalla> Yes, let's get down to it
* Leandra signals her associate, who steps away for a moment and comes back with a crate, which he sets down a few feet from your group.
<Skalla> Mind if we do a quick inspection?
<Leandra> I'd be almost offended if you didn't.
* Skalla will open the crate and check that thigs look right then waive Svald over to check the magic
<Narrator> It looks like paper, with the appropriate mark in the bottom left corner.
<Hildegard> Yup. Looks like paper.
* Svald picks up one of the papers and runs their thumb lightly over the mark
<Skalla> (how many paprs are we talking here?)
* Svald will try to feel out the magical energy if any
<Narrator> You'd recognize it anywhere. Every army mage is taught this specific mark fairly early on in their training.
<Svald> (so it's the right one?)
<Narrator> (This crate is decent-sized, but you can see there are others.)
<Narrator> (It is the correct one, yes.)
* Svald sets it down.
<Svald> It's genuine.
* Pierre (~Mibbit@bras-base-mtrlpq4396w-grc-01-65-92-225-94.dsl.bell.ca) Quit (Quit: https://mibbit.com Online IRC Client)
<Svald> DO you want me to check the other boxes?
* Svald asks Skalla
<Skalla> seems wise.
<Leandra> (To Mina) Not the most trusting. I can respect that.
* Svald will do so, then.
* Mina shrugs
<Mina> New business is risky business for all.
<Leandra> (Actually, that was probably in fake fantasy Italian ;) )
<Mina> (And replied as such)
<Skalla> (Maybe not all of them, but not just the ne they set out for us anyway. and not just the ones on top)
<Narrator> Leandra's associate will go with Svald to open the other crates to check. It'll take a little bit, but they all seem genuine.
<Svald> They're the same.
* Svald nods to Skalla.
* Leandra seems pretty nonchalant.
<Skalla> Stunning. Sounds like the deal is on for now then, but lets talk specifics
* Leandra quotes a high prices, but not entirely unreasonable.
<Mina> (To Leandra, in Faux-talian) Maybe knock a bit, get a repeat client?
* Skalla considers and will make a coutneroffer that's on the lower end of reasonable. "Lot of risk here, I'm sure you can appreciate, and who knows when they might shange the rules again."
* Leandra considers.
<Leandra> Friend of a friend. That'll do.
* Leandra steps forward to shake Skalla's hand.
* Skalla shakes
<Narrator> There's an (obviously fake) bird call from the trees behind Leandra.
* Leandra turns quickly.
* Hildegard puts her hand to her sword.
<Leandra> Were you spotted?
<Svald> I didn't think so...
<Hildegard> Were you?
<Skalla> not that we saw
<Leandra> (to her associate) Watch the goods.
* Leandra runs uphill.
* Skalla will go with her
* Hildegard draws pistol and sword and looks around.
* Svald scans the water, and the treeline, a bit at a loss at what else to do
* Leandra comes to a stop next to someone you assume to be one of her crew, who hands her a spyglass and points.
* Skalla will see if she can see anything from here but assumes not
* Leandra takes a look.
* Leandra will turn and offer the glass to Skalla.
* Skalla will look
<Narrator> (How's Skalla's naval knowledge?)
<Skalla> (uhhhh... basic?)
<Skalla> (I think she'd know more about the who's who f the officers and such than like... know anything about maneuvers and whatever)
* Pierre (Mibbit@bras-base-mtrlpq4396w-grc-01-65-92-225-94.dsl.bell.ca) has joined #thirteen
<Narrator> There's a small ship anchored off the island, and you can see two rowboats full of soldiers just hitting the water.
<Skalla> we'll be okay.
<Skalla> Come on
* Skalla hurries back down the hill and points to Svald
<Leandra> That's the Sjöhäst from the fort. Didn't know your garrison had a good enough mage to pull off getting this close without being noticed.
<Skalla> We need cover, like that mist again if you can
* Leandra follows along.
<Svald> ah, okay...
<Skalla> get stuff loaded and then see if we can avoid them on the water. Can you do that or do we need another plan?
* Svald starts motioning to pull up the mist
* Hildegard will start helping load things
<Mina> Some misdirection could help, as well.
<Leandra> Might do.
<Leandra> (to her crew) Help them get loaded.
<Leandra> (To Mina) How fast are you feeling?
<Skalla> draw the off course from where we are now, then call up a wind that's good for us and not for them
<Mina> (To Leandra) I could use a run.
* Mina grins
<Leandra> Come with me.
* Mina follows
* Leandra head's southeast on the island.
<Leandra> (Svald, roll me Will)
* Skalla starts thikning abut where we can land back on the main island that's closer and more covered
<Narrator> (Skalla, roll me...Lore?)
<Svald> !roll 4d3-4
* Lannie-werk rolls for Svald: [ 4d3-4 ] getting [ 2 1 1 1 ] for a total of [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ -4 ] totals [ 1 ].
<Svald> (can I use my powers attuned to nature aspect for a +2)
<Skalla> !roll 4d3-6
* Lannie-werk rolls for Skalla: [ 4d3-6 ] getting [ 3 2 2 3 ] for a total of [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ -6 ] totals [ 4 ].
<Narrator> It's difficult, but you can begin conjuring up a fog that will cover a sizable area.
* Svald frowns with concentration.
<Narrator> (Skalla, while you're not yourself a smuggler, you've sailed around the bay many times in your life. You think you know a spot to the northwest that'd be a good landing, and you could make your way down the peninsula.)
* Skalla grins at Hilde as the mist rolls in
<Skalla> Seem like overkill now? There's a ship out there and two longboats of soldiers...
<Hildegard> Point taken.
<Hildegard> You should get in the boat. If anything goes wrong you need to not be here.
Leandra and Mina try to distract the soldiers
* Leandra will lead Mina to the southeast point of the island, where you can now fairly clearly see the ship and the approaching rowboats.
<Leandra> You armed?
* Leandra (email@example.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Leandra> Okay, so, on my mark, we're going to fire everything we've got into the air. Just to give them something to focus on.
* Mina nods and readies
<Leandra> They we hightail it back as fast as these old bones can run and shove the hell off.
* Lucas (Nary@d24-57-67-2.home.cgocable.net) has joined #gnomeland
* Zari-werk (firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined #gnomeland
* Leandra fires a pair of pistols.
* Mina fires
* Leandra takes off running.
* Mina runs
Mina makes it back to the boat just in time to get away with the others
<Narrator> You guys can get things loaded relatively quickly, and Leandra's present crew will head west along the shore.
<Skalla> so we're going to head to a place I know on the north shore and hole up there untill we cna get someone to retieve the crates
<Skalla> An none of us can get caught here, so off we go.
* Hildegard nods.
<Skalla> Come on girl, now we gotta get past them on the water
<Hildegard> What about Mina?
<Narrator> You all hear gunshots
<Skalla> She's with friends - come on.
* Hildegard gets in and grabs the oars
* Svald hops into the boat
* Skalla will push us off and get rowing
<Narrator> (Roll me athletics again, Mina)
* Svald will get us a tailwind for a boost.
<Mina> !roll 4d3-6
* Lannie-werk rolls for Mina: [ 4d3-6 ] getting [ 3 2 1 3 ] for a total of [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ -6 ] totals [ 3 ].
* Hildegard will row like the genetic beast lobster she is.
<Narrator> Mina comes running over the hill to see her boat shoving off without her.
* Mina swears in Faux-talian
<Narrator> (You might be able to make it...)
* Mina will try to make it
<Narrator> (Let's do one last Athletics roll)
<Narrator> (And assume you guys can see her now)
<Skalla> Fuck - I thought she was twith them >.>
<Hildegard> Row back!
* Skalla will hold where we are at least
<Svald> ... you have the oars
<Hildegard> (We both do)
<Mina> !roll 4d3-6
* Lannie-werk rolls for Mina: [ 4d3-6 ] getting [ 3 1 1 3 ] for a total of [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ -6 ] totals [ 2 ].
<Svald> (if she's jumping can I do like a puff of wind to get her a boost?)
<Narrator> (Sure, roll me Will)
<Svald> !roll 3d4-4
* Lannie-werk rolls for Svald: [ 3d4-4 ] getting [ 4 1 4 ] for a total of [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ -4 ] totals [ 5 ].
<Narrator> Mina bolts down the hill, leaps, and sails much further than she has any right to, landing in a bit of a tangle with the folks in the boat, but safe.
* Mina lands with a thump and begins laughing maniacally.
<Skalla> Damnit, I thought you were stayng with them when you ran off
<Skalla> lets get out of here
* Hildegard will start rowing again
* Svald helps Mina to her feet.
<Narrator> You can hear some shouts on the island, but no more shots, and no one seems to be coming after you.
* Mina nods in appreciate and take a seat
Welumque is approached by an older dwarf named Gillis of the Säteri family, whi wants her help making connectiosn with the Koowäho’ke
<NPC2> Welumque, one evening as you're taking your dinner at Charlotta's, you're approached by an older dwarven woman.
<Narrator> (That was supposed to be narrator, my bad :P )
* NPC2 is now known as dwarven_woman
* Welumque looks up. Presumably not someone I know?
<Narrator> (Roll Contacts)
<Welumque> !roll 4d3-4
* Lan-werk rolls for Welumque: [ 4d3-4 ] getting [ 2 1 1 2 ] for a total of [ 6 ] which, after the modifier [ -4 ] totals [ 2 ].
<Welumque> (that's fine, not worth spending points on)
<Narrator> You're familiar enough with the old families in town to recognize one of the Säteri by familial resemblance, but you don't know which one.
<Welumque> Yes, can I help you?
<dwarven_woman> May I sit with you a moment?
* Welumque tilts her head to the side curiously.
* dwarven_woman takes a seat.
<dwarven_woman> I don't believe I've had the pleasure. Gillis Idunsdottir Säteri.
* dwarven_woman extends her hand.
* dwarven_woman is now known as Gillis
* Welumque shakes her hand.
<Welumque> My pleasure.
* Welumque says, still keeping a calm distance in her voice.
<Gillis> I was hoping to consult with you about putting together a trade mission to Óhchuwike (the northern portion of Lèxkweyok territory).
<Welumque> All right. What sort of mission?
<Gillis> The usual, I would think. Metal goods for furs.
<Welumque> I see. Metal goods being weapons? Tools? something else?
<Gillis> Our family doesn't have any major connections with the Koowäho’ke (local Lèxkweyok band).
<Gillis> Well, that's part of what I wanted to consult with you on.
<Gillis> What would make the best impression?
<Welumque> If your goal is to make a good impression, it may not matter most what kind of goods you trade, as long as the quality is good.
<Welumque> What the Koowäho’ke will value is a fair trader who treats them as equals and doesn't bring any nonsense with them.
* Gillis nods.
<Gillis> By nonsense, you mean...?
<Welumque> Pretense. Bluster. Shows of military might. More guards than you need. I could go on.
* Gillis chuckles lightly.
<Gillis> Duly noted.
<Gillis> I wasn't thinking anything like that.
<Gillis> And it *is
* as equals I'd like to approach them.
<Welumque> Why me?
<Gillis> You know people everywhere, you're also known to be an honest and fair trader, and...I think we share some concerns about the general state of things in the colonies.
<Welumque> Do we? How so?
* Gillis takes a moment to size Welumque up, then looks around for a moment.
<Gillis> I suppose this is the place to speak frankly about such things. I believe that the time is soon coming when the colonies will need to assert their own sovereignty, and I think such an eventuality is in the best interests of both our peoples. I'd like to establish relationships such that the transition will be...less difficult.
<Welumque> You suppose that it would be easier if you don't have to fight my people as well as your own?
<Gillis> More or less.
<Gillis> I would hope no one would have to fight, but I don't have that kind of faith.
<Welumque> Any such faith I once had vanished during the last war.
* Gillis nods.
<Gillis> Hence why I'd like to be prepared.
<Welumque> The six clans have been watching you all for many years now. Learning. It is high time some of you returned the favour.
* Welumque says, trying to sound only a little judgemental.
<Gillis> (in Lèxkweyok) I know a small. I want to learning.
<Welumque> Your accent will do, though you need work on the words. But the effort counts for something.
* Gillis smiles apologetically.
<Welumque> Weapons would not be a terrible idea. To trade in arms, could be interpreted as a sign that you respect us enough to equip our military. And your weapons are of fine quality.
* Gillis nods.
<Gillis> I think that can be arranged.
<Welumque> When were you looking to go? I have other commitments.
<Gillis> Though I'll need to take some time and be careful about amassing them.
<Gillis> In a few weeks, perhaps. I'd like to be back before the winter, certainly.
<Narrator> (For reference, it's basically the last week of August right now)
<Welumque> You certainly would, I'm sure! The hills up there get very snowy very early.
* Gillis nods.
<Gillis> My family has farms out in Grand Valley, and the hills north of there get hit pretty bad.
<Gillis> I haven't been too far north of there, at least not inland.
* Welumque nods.
<Welumque> How many would be in your party?
<Gillis> Well, given your advice...maybe ten? Enough to handle teams and such.
<Welumque> That would be fine. As long as the group in total, including me and any of mine, doesn't total eleven. Inauspicious.
* Gillis nods.
<Gillis> You'd be willing to accompany us? That would be quite helpful.
<Welumque> Well let's not be too quick. We haven't discussed any terms yet. But you need someone who knows the land and the language.
* Gillis nods.
<Gillis> What sort of terms did you have in mind?
<Welumque> Well that all depends on the length of the trip, and what exactly you would need. It could be that one of my assistants would be well suited for the task, for instance.
<Welumque> I have helped a lot of my folk get acclimated to life here, especially after the war. These are no babes in arms.
* Gillis nods.
<Welumque> You are not going to send a party of dwarves up into the high hills without someone of my people. That's for certain. Not if your goal is to inspire trust.
<Gillis> Of course not.
<Gillis> I am, essentially, trying to open diplomatic relations with your people on behalf of...a nation that does not yet exist.
<Welumque> They will want a seat at the table. A full voice. I know that will not sit well with some of yours.
<Welumque> Every acre of our traditional lands is claimed by either Vinmark or Mariannas. That is a ... hard fact for your fledgling nation.
* Gillis nods.
<Gillis> I know we won't be able to hold all of that. Gods know we don't even right now.
<Gillis> I can't say it won't be contentious for some, but I agree that ultimate sovereignty of that land belongs to your people.
<Welumque> All those parts up in the north, in Karagwasischijro ... if you think you have problems with *us*, well ...
* Welumque leaves the rest unstated
* Gillis takes a breath.
<Gillis> Believe me, I know. Ironically, the icier relations means we have better communication with the Karagwasisijro than with some of your people.
<Gillis> The Lèxkweyok welcomed our people, and...I know we haven't always done right by them.
* Welumque rubs her nose idly.
<Welumque> Well those are some fine words to say and to hear.
<Gillis> But actions speak louder. I know.
<Welumque> You and I, we've been around long enough to know better, Gillis. But the younger generation are the ones who create change, and I have little faith in that coming to good. Not anymore.
<Welumque> But I will help you and your expedition, nonetheless. As needed, with financial terms to be settled once you have details.
* Gillis nods.
<Gillis> That sounds good.
<Gillis> Thank you for your time.
<Welumque> You're welcome.
Pierre is employed by Hjalmar, alias Kaldrgaldr, to get his printing presses running
<Narrator> Pierre, a relatively busy night in Charlotta's is winding down, with most beginning to clear out. A young dwarven man is nursing his third cup in a corner, and you think he might be watching you.
* Pierre continues tidying up.
* Pierre keeps an eye on the dwarf as others leave, eventually coming up to him. He smiles.
* NPC1 is now known as dwarven_man
<Pierre> Good evening, Monsieur. I'm afraid we're about to close...
* dwarven_man gives a nervous smile.
<dwarven_man> Right, right. I should get going...
<dwarven_man> You're Pierre Bodin, right?
* Pierre cocks his head to one side.
<Pierre> Yes, Monsieur, that's right.
<Pierre> Do I know you?
<dwarven_man> Oh, no, we have a mutual friend. Kaarina Jokela?
<Pierre> Oh! I didn't realize. How do you know Kaarina?
<dwarven_man> Through the Säteri's shop. She said you helped her with their new presses?
<Pierre> Oh. I see. Yes, she said there was a problem with them, and I offered to have a look.
<Pierre> It was a simple problem, really. But you are... one of her colleagues at the print shop, then?
<dwarven_man> Customer, actually.
* dwarven_man is now known as Hjalmar
* Hjalmar extends his hand a little awkwardly.
<Pierre> Hjalmar. How do you do!
* Pierre smiles and shakes his hand
* Hjalmar smiles.
<Hjalmar> I was hoping I might be able to get you to help me out with a similar project? I can pay.
<Pierre> Oh? I could certainly try. What problem needs to be solved?
<Hjalmar> Well, uh, you see...I've been trying to do some printing of my own, on a small scale, you understand, but I purchased a small press...third hand? Maybe more?
<Hjalmar> And I don't...entirely know what I'm doing.
<Pierre> Oh. Well, I'm afraid I'm not a specialist with printing presses in particular, you understand... I'm just a bit of a tinker, so I was able to fix something that was misaligned.
<Pierre> If you need something printed, why not ask Kaarina? She's the one with expertise in actual printing.
<Pierre> And I know she's, ah, looking for a job...
<Hjalmar> Right, I guess that would make sense...
<Hjalmar> I mean, I'm not looking to hire someone in an ongoing capacity.
<Hjalmar> And, well, with what her shop is already going through...
<Pierre> (Can I make an Empathy roll to get a read on this guy?)
<Pierre> !roll 4d3-5
* Lan-werk rolls for Pierre: [ 4d3-5 ] getting [ 2 3 3 2 ] for a total of [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ -5 ] totals [ 5 ].
<Narrator> He seems a little shifty, but not maliciously so. Just nervous and generally a bit awkward, but definitely not telling you the whole truth.
<Pierre> Yes... that was most unfortunate. I hope they'll be able to open again soon.
* Hjalmar nods.
<Pierre> I'm sure it must be some sort of misunderstanding... Mme Sateri should have it sorted out before too long.
<Hjalmar> It's ridiculous they shut them down for the stupid mark law.
* Hjalmar nods.
<Hjalmar> Yes. And then, hopefully, Kaarina can get right back to work.
<Pierre> Well, I can take a look at your press if you'd like. As I say, I don't know about printing itself; but I can check the alignment, tighten the bolts, that kind of thing.
<Pierre> And your offer of a gratuity is most appreciated. :)
<Hjalmar> Thank you, yes, that's all I was hoping for. Tomorrow, perhaps? I can give you directions.
* Hjalmar smiles and will do so.
<Pierre> À demain!
<Narrator> Pierre can finish up and get a good night's sleep (presumably). When the next day do you want to head to where he said?
* Pierre closes up after him, and the next day he goes to the appointed place with his toolbox.
<Hjalmar> The directions lead you to large house in the nice part of town.
<Pierre> . o O (Oh my.)
* Pierre goes up to it somewhat hesitantly, but knocks on the door.
<Narrator> A servant will answer the door.
<Narrator> (Wait, front door?)
<Narrator> (Just to check)
<Pierre> (Did he say which door to go to? Did he indicate whether he was the master of the house, or a servant?)
<Hjalmar> (He did not say :P )
<Pierre> (And how grand does this house look?)
<Narrator> (Pretty grand)
<Pierre> (And how well was he dressed yesterday?)
<Narrator> (Fairly nice, though the Stordammers dress a little blandly to your tastes ;) )
<Pierre> ( If he bought his own press, even a small one, he must be pretty rich, right? )
<Hjalmar> (Almost surely)
<Pierre> (Yeah... I'm tempted, but I'll go around to the back and ask at the servants' entrance)
<Narrator> The servant who greets you says, "How may I help you, sir?"
<Pierre> Oh, hello. Excuse me... is there a Hjalmar here?
<Narrator> "Ah, yes, I believe Master Hjalmar said he was expecting someone. This way."
<Pierre> Thank you.
<Pierre> . o O (*Master
* Narrator will lead you upstairs to a room, whereupon he knocks and Hjalmar answers.
<Hjalmar> Ah, yes, Pierre, come in, come in.
* Pierre bows slightly when he sees Hjalmar
<Pierre> Thank you, Monsieur.
<Hjalmar> That will be all, Dag, thank you.
* Hjalmar steps aside for you to enter.
* Pierre does so
<Narrator> The room is a small study, and you can see an open door leads to an adjoining bedroom.
<Pierre> (What are the furnishings like?)
<Narrator> Everything looks well-made, but obviously lived in. Books and papers are spread across many surfaces, and an easel holds a seascape painting about half finished. The press stands roughly in the middle of the floor at the moment, in several pieces.
<Pierre> (Do I think I can put it together?)
<Hjalmar> You really don't have to bow or anything. No one here is nobility.
<Narrator> (Roll me Crafts)
<Pierre> !roll 4d3-4
* Lan-werk rolls for Pierre: [ 4d3-4 ] getting [ 2 3 1 1 ] for a total of [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ -4 ] totals [ 3 ].
<Pierre> Oh... well, if you say so, Monsieur. Hjalmar.
<Pierre> I was just taken aback... this is a grand home.
<Pierre> Anyway, this is the patient?
* Hjalmar laughs.
<Hjalmar> Yes, such as it is. I'm worried it's a lost cause.
<Pierre> Well, let me see...
<Narrator> (Which you do not think to be the case. It'll take some doing, but it's not impossible by any means.)
* Pierre examines it for a while.
<Pierre> Hmmm. Well, I think all hope is not yet lost...
<Pierre> It may take me a while. But there may yet be a full recovery...
* Pierre rolls up his sleeves, and sets to work!
<Pierre> (Another Crafts roll?)
<Pierre> !roll 4d3-4
* Lan-werk rolls for Pierre: [ 4d3-4 ] getting [ 3 2 3 1 ] for a total of [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ -4 ] totals [ 5 ].
<Narrator> (And, actually, roll me Notice as well)
<Narrator> It'll be the better part of the morning, but you can get all the pieces where they're supposed to go, and the machine works perfectly. Whether Hjalmar really knows how to use it is a whole other matter, and not really your concern.
<Pierre> (Since I'm such a Hopeful and Hardworking Young Immigrant, I'll spend a Fate point to throw an extra +2 on there)
<Pierre> !roll 4d3-7
* Lan-werk rolls for Pierre: [ 4d3-7 ] getting [ 2 3 2 3 ] for a total of [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ -7 ] totals [ 3 ].
<Pierre> (And maybe I'll add another +2 to that, since I'm always so wide-eyed in this O Brave New World)
<Narrator> While working, at some point when Hjalmar exits the room for a little bit, you spot a piece of paper with handwriting on it. Your curiosity getting the better of you, you take a look, and realize its the text of one of Karl Kaldrgaldr's latest manifestos, one of the last before the Sateri print shop was closed.
<Pierre> (But handwritten, not printed... so the original copy, presumably.)
<Hjalmar> (You would think, yeah)
<Pierre> . o O (*!!!*)
* Pierre pauses for only a second, then quickly gets back to work.
* Pierre finishes, and wipes his brow.
<Pierre> I think that's done it, Monsieur. Er, Hjalmar.
<Pierre> Should we give it a try?
* Hjalmar2 (email@example.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Hjalmar2> (Had to change comps for a sec)
<Hjalmar2> Yeah, looks good. Let's do it.
* Pierre nods, and puts the paper in place, but lets Hjalmar select the plate to print.
* Hjalmar2 will prep the paper and a print, rolls on the ink, and it prints perfectly.
* Pierre grins in satisfaction
<Hjalmar2> You're a miracle worker.
* Pierre laughs
<Pierre> Oh, you are too kind, Monsieur.
<Hjalmar2> This is so great.
<Hjalmar2> I was about to say you've cost Sateri's a customer, but I'm sure that's not true. I know I'll still get things there. :)
* Pierre smiles and bows
<Pierre> I'm glad to hear it, Monsieur. I hope they'll soon be in business.
<Pierre> Until then, however, you should be able to print whatever you need in the meantime!
* Hjalmar2 smiles.
* Pierre assembles his tools.
<Hjalmar2> Come on, let me get you your payment. You've more than earned it.
<Pierre> Thank you, Monsieur.
* Narrator is now known as Kennesaw
Skalla approaches Lucas and Welumque about her expedition
* Skalla will gather her two favourite halflings at Charlotta's when theyre both there (and if they are together so much the better)
* Lucas will be there with Welumque, having a bite to eat.
* Skalla will grab a coffee and come and sit with the pair
<Skalla> Mind if I intrude?
<Skalla> I have a proposition I'd like to run by you
<Welumque> No intrusion at all. Come, sit.
<Skalla> ahh great
<Skalla> So, I'm gathring some folks to head up north for a bit on a little expedition. GOt some business to deal with for some Karagwasischijro friends, and there's some things I want to show Svald for her art
<Welumque> North, you say? How far?
* Skalla will let her know he general area
<Skalla> We're still planning routes and other details
* Welumque nods.
<Skalla> If there's places you need to stop - I know you're good to help us work out supplies along the way if we need 'em
<Welumque> What's the business?
* Skalla lowers her voice after making sure no one problematic is listeig
<Skalla> Salvage up at one of the forts form the war
* Skalla touches her nose
<Skalla> But you know... general trade, exploration, usual kind of things
<Skalla> Get out of the city for a bit
<Lucas> Are you expecting trouble?
* Lucas asks, a bit cautiously
<Skalla> no, but its always a possibility, right?
<Skalla> Especially off the main roads
<Welumque> Can be trouble anywhere.
<Welumque> There's enough trouble here these days, might be safer anywhere but here.
* Lucas nods
<Skalla> there's that
<Lucas> I have patients I'd want to check on, but if we weren't gone a very long time, it should be fine.
* Skalla can give them a broad time frame
<Skalla> I get that. Let me know if it'll work for you.
<Skalla> Maybe a chance to get some things you can find in the city?
* Lucas nods
<Welumque> Who else do you have with you on this trip?
<Lucas> It would be good to have a chance to do some gathering. I'm interested in learning more about the local plants.
<Skalla> We can work that out I'm sure
* Skalla will tell Welumque
<Skalla> (Hildy, Svald, Mina, pierre maybe, maybe some other house guards for brawn, idk)
* Welumque nods.
<Welumque> How long you expecting to be gone?
<Welumque> I got my folks here to be concerned about.
<Skalla> (Theoretcally I already answered that ;p)
* Skalla nods
<Skalla> I know you have business out of town sometimes
<Skalla> besides - migt be a chance to pick up some things your folks can make use of too
<Skalla> no pressure though
<Welumque> I'll think about it.
<Skalla> sounds good
<Skalla> thanks friends :)
Lucas has breakfast with Chemames
<Lucas> No, well, I guess I go to the coffee house sometimes, Charlotta's?
<Chemames> That sounds good.
* Chemames will open the door for Lucas and head out.
* Lucas will accompany him
<Chemames> They said you'd been gone for a little while. More patients?
<Lucas> Yes, I was down at the south end of the island, dealing with some patients there.
<Lucas> Rich folk - they don't mind paying for me to travel, I suppose.
* Chemames nods.
<Chemames> Sounds like decent work. Better than lifting and fishing at the dock, at least.
<Chemames> You like it?
<Lucas> I'm glad when I can help people.
<Lucas> Sometimes it can be hard... when not everyone can be helped.
<Chemames> Were you able to help the folks at the south end?
<Lucas> Well... maybe, some. It will take time to tell.
<Chemames> I guess it's not always immediate and dramatic.
<Lucas> If nothing else, I can make them more comfortable. It might not save them, but it's still something.
* Lucas shrugs
<Lucas> What about you... do you work at the docks?
* Chemames nods.
<Chemames> Like I said, mostly lifting and fishing. Just local, though, not far out.
<Lucas> What brought you to that living?
<Chemames> My family came east during the war. We lived in Amànkepahsaèk, but when the Monitokeh came...
* Lucas nods a bit awkwardly
<Chemames> We ended up here on Sisawinak. Ocean fishing took a little getting used to, but there wasn't really land for us to farm. Not for ourselves, anyway.
<Chemames> It's decent enough work.
<Lucas> So the rest of your family came here too?
<Narrator> (We can say y'all reached Charlotta's at this point.)
* Chemames nods.
* Lucas will find us a seat somewhere
<Chemames> A fair number of them, anyway.
<Lucas> That's good. I mean... good that you have family nearby.
<Chemames> I was a little too young to fight by the time the war ended, but some of my older brothers and uncles did.
* Chemames nods.
<Chemames> What about you? What brought you to Sisawinak?
<Lucas> Well... similar, in a way. I came here to get away from the war.
<Chemames> Ah, gotcha.
<Chemames> Did your family come with you?
* Chemames tries to ask gently.
<Lucas> No. There's a woman named Welumque who helped me get here. She's helped a lot of people who didn't have anywhere else to go.
<Chemames> Oh, yeah, I've heard of her. She's kind of a big deal around here.
<Chemames> At least for our folk.
* Lucas nods
<Chemames> So, what's good here?
<Chemames> I assume the coffee? ;)
<Lucas> It's not bad :)
* Lucas says with a smile. He tends to cover his mouth with his hand when he smiles.
* Chemames will call for someone (presumably Pierre) to bring them coffees and whatever breakfast is that morning.
<Lucas> Thank you.
<Chemames> Least I can do, really.
<Chemames> I owe you my life, twice over I think.
<Lucas> It was my fault, though.
<Chemames> How do you mean?
<Lucas> I mean... the second time. It was because I didn't... didn't do things right the first time. >.>
<Lucas> You wouldn't have been in that situation except that I messed it up, so I had to fix it...
<Chemames> Well, no harm d-okay, harm done, but fixed. :)
<Chemames> And you didn't do the original harm.
<Chemames> Those crazy rioters did.
* Lucas nods reluctantly
<Chemames> I'm surprised only one person died, honestly.
<Chemames> I don't really understand all that's going on with their great council, but...I'm definitely more worried than I was.
<Lucas> It could have been worse...
* Chemames nods.
<Chemames> And you helped it not be.
* Chemames smiles.
<Narrator> (Is that a kind of evasive "Mmmhmm"?)
<Lucas> (I guess noncommittal.)
<Lucas> (evasive, is fair ;)
* Chemames is quiet for a pause.
<Chemames> This is the "independence" coffee house, right?
<Lucas> Is that what they're calling it now?
<Chemames> Well, I've heard some things.
<Chemames> A lot of the roundears who come here want to break away from their people over the sea, right?
<Lucas> It seems that way.
<Lucas> I don't really understand it all, though.
<Chemames> Me neither. Though I don't entirely understand how they're the same people still.
* Chemames shrugs.
<Chemames> Seems they've got more in common with us right now than someone months away by boat.
<Lucas> I'm not sure how the ones far away can rule over the ones here?
* Lucas likewise shrugs
<Chemames> Well, one more reason for us shortfolk to look out for each other. Never know what the roundears are going to do.
* Lucas nods
<Chemames> And, on that note, I think here comes our breakfast.
* Chemames grins.
<Lucas> When you're not working, what else do you like to do? I mean... for fun?
* Lucas ask a bit shyly
<Chemames> The usual, I guess. A bit of hunting, general wandering, swimming, some [ball game I don't have a name for right now but probably like lacrosse].
<Chemames> How about you?
<Lucas> I guess I go look for plants, but that's kind of work too.
<Lucas> I don't really do much else... I don't know a lot of people here my own age. Welumque is great of course, but I don't expect her to, well, play games or anything.
<Chemames> Well, hey, you should come join me and my friends when we do. You'd be more than welcome.
<Lucas> oh... I'm probably not very good at it, but ...maybe.
<Chemames> You don't have to be good at it. It's just for fun.
* Chemames smiles encouragingly.
<Lucas> if you say so :)
<Chemames> You'll see. I'll come and get you next time, if you're around.
<Lucas> All right.
* Lucas will eat his breakfast and try not to be socially awkward ;)
* Narrator is now known as Kennesaw
* Lucas is now known as Nary