Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session 27

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session logs
Previous Session 27 Next

Summary

May have her date with Eren Brescia to go out on the town. Laris, Dianthea, Eyllia and the rest of the crew and passengers of the Iron Drake leave the Houses of Elemental Order and arrive back in Nēšu Abamātu. May greets them, presenting the newlyweds with some gifts. Laris introduces the suitors to her and her court, and Eyllia introduces her and Graham's new appointments. Laris and Saḫḫiru are reunited and steal a brief moment alone. Induriel speaks at length with Caelius, and then plots with Valtherial regarding the new Thantopolitan suitors. May and Eyllia have a chance to catch up. Meanwhile, Gladius and Meghan come vitis Korivan at the Hrieffen ancestral shrine. Laris gives Calkas his freedom, but the gnome chooses to stay with the Corvis household.

Session

Session date: 2019-01-20
In Game date: shortly after the previous session (why do I try /o\

May and Eren's Date


* Eren will meet you, let's say, at the archery range the next evening, as planned.
* May will show up a few minutes late, just to keep him guessing.
* Eren is likely dressed inconspicuously for him, which in this case means hunting leathers.
* May wears a loose, dark colored robe
<Eren> Heri Mamitu, a pleasure as always. I had begun to fear you'd lost your courage for this little outing.
<May> No, just making sure I wasn't spotted. My uncle would freak if he knew I was doing this.
<Eren> I'm sure that is the case, but perhaps you could remind him who the ruler actually is here.
<Eren> Shall we?
* May raises an eyebrow at that, but will nod and head off toward town.
* Eren (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* NPC2 (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Eren (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Eren> So, how're you liking your fiefdom here? You've been here less than a year, yes?
<May> A bit less, yes. It's... interesting. Very different from Aethrennar.
<May> Have you done much travelling?
<Eren> Here and there throughout the queendom. Less than I'd like beyond that.
<Eren> Yourself?
<May> Also not as much as I'd like. There's a lot of places I'd love to see. After... the cataclysm... Most of my time was spent in Aethrennar.
<Eren> Do you miss it?
* May will steer them down towards the marketplaces, which are hopefully still open for the evening.
<YOAW_Narrator> Given the number of inhabitants who are either nocturnal, not affected by darkness, or don't really sleep, the marketplace remains open pretty much around the clock (sundial?).
<May> Sometimes. I think I miss the people more. It seems like it gets harder to remember the city itself every year.
* Eren nods.
<Eren> I never had the pleasure. What do you remember of it?
<Eren> If I may ask.
* May thinks for a moment.
<May> My parents mostly. And my cousins. Our family estate near the sea. I'm glad for the port here. It makes it feel familiar in a way.
* Eren nods and smiles sympathetically.
<May> The ocean is the ocean, no matter where you are on it.
<Eren> Quite profound, if heavier than I perhaps meant for the evening. This was meant to lift your spirits, Heri.
* May smiles.
<May> It's ok. It was a long time ago. I'm not sure if this place really feels like home yet, but it's getting there.
<May> I'm much happier here than I was when I arrived at least.
<Eren> Oh?
<Eren> It was a difficult transition?
* May shrugs.
<May> It was... a shock to suddenly assume that sort of title. For me at least.
<May> It wasn't something I had ever really expected.
<May> Even if my uncle seemed to always think something like it would come along.
<Eren> But you were born to it. Even if you'd stayed in Aethrennar, surely a noble match would have been made.
<May> I was born to a lot of things. Most of them vanished within a day.
<Eren> Even with all that, Mamitu, you were born to rule.
* Eren says seriously.
* May laughs
<May> Everyone seems to think that but me.
* Eren 's face quickly turns to a smile.
<May> But I do take my responsibilities seriously.
* Vess (~vess@CPEbc4dfb296af3-CMbc4dfb296af0.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Eren> Perhaps everyone will just need to keep reminding you until you're convinced.
<May> I'm sure they will. I do want what's best for this city. It's adopted me with open arms and I want to return the favor.
* Eren smiles more at that.
<Eren> Tell me, what grand plans do you have for your adopted home?
* Vess is now known as Eyllia
<Eren> A center of learning, perhaps? Your library is quite impressive.
<May> That would be amazing. It would certainly put us on the map, as it were.
<May> A real library or academy would certainly bring people to the port.
<May> What do you think of the city so far?
<Eren> It's...interesting.
<Eren> It weirdly reminds me of Aethrennar in a way.
<May> How so?
<Eren> Aethrennar is a gathering place for many of the people of Faerie. Nesu Abamatu has a similarly diverse population.
<Eren> Differently so, but similar in breadth.
* May nods.
<May> I think that's one of its greatest strengths.
<Eren> I can see that. I don't envy you having to keep the peace, but it is a source of strength going forward.
<May> It's not an easy job, certainly. Tell me, how would you develop the city if it were your job?
<Eren> Hmm, interesting question.
<Eren> I suppose I should say the first thing I'd do is kick out the elves, but that'd just be partisanship. I love my cousin, and I don't want to make true concessions, but antagonizing them is no way to bring them back into the fold.
<May> You believe that's still possible?
<Eren> I...want to believe it's possible. Enough of them remember Alcarinel's rule, and that she is a good and wise monarch.
* May nods.
<May> I didn't know her well, but she never gave me reason to think otherwise while I was in Aethrennar.
<Eren> As more of us are born after the split, it will get harder to reconcile.
* Eren nods.
<Eren> She's fond of you, though decorum requires distance.
<May> Is she?
<Eren> I think she feels a bit of kinship with you. She's lost family, too, and took the throne younger than most.
* May nods again.
<May> I'm glad for her friendship. And Aethrennar's.
* Lan_phone (uid135102@id-135102.brockwell.irccloud.com) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
<Eren> And Aethrennar is glad for yours.
* May smiles.
<Eren> And, for myself, I hope to earn it. Are you hungry? Allow me to treat the Lady of Nesy Abamatu to the finest her city has to offer. Or at least what we can find. ;)
* May laughs.
<May> There's some great food carts over in the next block. If you'd like we can get some kebabs and walk down to the pier.
<Eren> That sounds lovely.

Eyllia and Grahm are given new positions by the Council


<YOAW_Narrator> Eyllia, they'll summon you to the council chambers. presumably the next day.
* Eren is now known as Grahm
* Grahm will be waiting outside the chamber.
<YOAW_Narrator> (brb)
* Eyllia will arrive in less formal dress, in her typical ship's outfit
* Grahm is dressed in his usual simple tunic and robe.
<Grahm> You got summoned, too, huh?
<Grahm> I assume this about the islands and the city?
<Eyllia> so do I
<Eyllia> Its nice to visit home, but now I just want to be done with the discussions and move on
* Grahm nods.
* NPC3 is now known as Brahm
* Brahm will open the door.
<Brahm> Eyllia, Grahm, come on in.
* Brahm is now known as Eyricia
* Eyllia looks at Graham and will go inside
<Eyricia> Please, sit.
<YOAW_Narrator> The high council is in session, if relatively informally it seems. Eyricia sits at the head of the table, as usual, with Pharcia and Siolina flanking.
* Eyllia nods and takes a seat
* Eyllia looks at the council, trying to read the mood of the room
<YOAW_Narrator> The mood seems pretty good, all in all. Pharcia seems a bit contemplative, Eyricia pleased, Siolina slightly distracted as usual, and Brahm is smiling as he takes a seat.
<Eyricia> The council would first like to commend you on your recent endeavors, Captain D'Azzure, particularly in regards to establishing relations with Nesu Abamatu.
* Eyllia smiles
<Eyllia> Thank you all
<Eyricia> It is the council's wish that, for the time being, you continue your efforts.
<Eyricia> We would like you to return to Nesu Abamatu, as planned, and formalize agreements over the newly arrived territory.
<Eyllia> Alright, that should not be an issue. I was heading there anyway.
<Eyricia> Would you be interested in a more permanent posting along those lines?
* Eyllia thinks for a moment
<Eyllia> I like the Drake and am not keen on loosing her... but I do understand that this needs to be done for our people
* Eyricia both smiles and looks surprised at that.
<Eyllia> I could agree to linger there until everything is established
<Eyllia> as long as I keep my ship
<Eyricia> The Emerald Drake with remain under your command for the time being.
<Eyllia> Then I'm agreed
<Eyricia> The council would like to name you special envoy in this endeavor, but a more permanent diplomat needs to be named.
<Eyricia> Grahm D'Terra, the council hereby appoints you as it's official representative to the city of Nesu Abamatu, effective immediately.
<Eyricia> Captain D'Azzure, you are to escort Ambassador D'Terra to the city, and together formalize our relationship with Nesu Abamatu.
* Grahm looks a little dumbstruck.
* Eyricia is now known as Brahm
* Brahm looks very proud.
<Grahm> I will do all in my power to serve our people, Councilors.
<Eyllia> Congratulatios Grahm
* Grahm smiles tentatively at Eyllia.
* Brahm is now known as Eyricia
* Lan_phone (uid135102@id-135102.brockwell.irccloud.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Eyricia> Now, Captain, I believe you both have a boat to catch?
<Eyllia> That we do... and I'm sure Grahm has a chest full of documents and what not to read to get himself ready for his new job... so we'll be off
<Eyricia> Dismissed.

The new suitors are presented at court


<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, presumably someone (Calkas) can be sent ahead to let May know folks are back and coming to the keep.
<Laris> (ok)
* May will have the usual preperations made for newcomers
<YOAW_Narrator> Any preparations for the suitors? Words of warning/encouragement/"don't screw up"?
* Laris will make sure they look presentable, and tell them to generally be polite and respectful, but I am hoping they don't really need to be told that ;)
<YOAW_Narrator> (One would hope)
<YOAW_Narrator> May, Sahhiru will get you to the main hall to receive your guests.
<YOAW_Narrator> And, I suppose, rereceive your Lugal.
<YOAW_Narrator> Laris, the suitors will accompany you to be presented.
* May will wear intricately embroidered Turathi robes, as usual for these sort of events.
* Laris would see if Dianthea wants to join us too
<YOAW_Narrator> She will definitely do so.
<Laris> (okay)
* Eyricia (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Grahm (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Laris will head into the main hall, relived to be back although also a bit apprehensive at what might have happened while he was away.
<May> Lugal Corvis, Captain D’Azzure, Lady Pertinax, it's good to see you all returned safely.
* May smiles genuinely at you all.
* Dianthea (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Laris> Thank you, Domina Mamitu, it's good to be back.
<Eyllia> Brought them all back safe and sound
* Eyllia winks at May and smiles
* May smiles back.
<May> And congratulations, of course, on your wedding. I hope all went well.
<Laris> Yes, thank you.
<Dianthea> It was quite the event. We're sorry you couldn't attend.
<May> I'm sorry as well. I would have loved to, trust me.
<Laris> I trust things have been going smoothly here in our absence?
<May> Smooth enough. No new dragons so far.
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Sahhiru> Just the one that was here when you left.
<Laris> Very good.
<Sahhiru> Nesu Abamatu welcomes you back, Lugal and Lady.
* Dianthea smiles at that.
<May> Indeed.
<Laris> Thank you.
<Laris> (is it time to introduce suitors?)
<May> (Sec)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Sure)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Suitore number one, come on dooooown!)
<Induriel> (You're the next contestant...)
<May> Lugal Corvis, while you were gone I took the liberty of having a few small gifts prepared for you and Lady Pertinax in honor of the occasion.
<Laris> Oh... thank you. That's very thoughtful of you.
* May will signal for one of the servants to bring out a large wooden box.
<May> (Inside are a diamond necklace for Dianthea and the deed to a parcel of land in the city.
<Dianthea> Oh, May, it's beautiful.
<May> And I also had this made for you, in recognition of your new office.
<Dianthea> Thank you.
* May hand Laris a small box with an engraved gold signet ring
<May> You're very welcome.
<Laris> Thank you. This is very generous - we are honoured.
* Laris admires the ring.
<Dianthea> Well, I hope you like what we brought back with us for you. >.>
<May> Oh?
<Dianthea> Husband?
<Laris> We bring with us some guests from the Eternal City, who seek to make your acquaintance, and to further their families' interests here.
<Laris> May I present Caelius Latens Sakkors, Marcus Castus Zorika, and Sagax Nykona.
* Laris gestures to each of them in turn, so she knows which one is which.
<YOAW_Narrator> The three of them will approach and bow.
* May nods at the new guests.
* Dianthea gives May an encouraging and somewhat apologetic look.
<May> Welcome to Nesu Abamatu
* Sahhiru is now known as Caelius
* May smirks back at Dianthea.
<Caelius> (in elduar) The sun shines on the our of our meeting, Lady.
* Caelius is now known as Marcus
<Marcus> Fate is kind to have brought me to your presence, Domina Lalu.
<Marcus> (Hour, for Caelius, sorry)
* Marcus is now known as Sagax
<Sagax> (in Turathi) Nine blessings upon your house, Siru.
<Sagax> And quite a house it is.
* Sagax takes in the hall with a broad glance.
* May grins. "It's one of the perks of the job."
<Sagax> You'll have to tell me the rest sometime.
<Sagax> Siru.
* Sagax adds the last after a glance at Sahhiru.
<May> Perhaps another time. For now I'm sure you all want to get settled in after your long trip.
* Sagax is now known as Marcus
<Marcus> That would be most kind, Domina. I hope our presence is not too much of a burden.
<Laris> Yes - we will need to discuss accomodations, I expect space will be in demand.
<May> I'm sure we can make room for a few more. Although even this place does have a finite number of rooms.
<May> I really need to talk with the builders about expanding it.
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Sahhiru> A pertinent discussion, for another time.
<Sahhiru> Please, be welcome to our hall, and we'll see to your accommodations.
<May> Indeed. I'll make sure you get some refreshments and are taken care of. Please let me know if there is anything you need.
<YOAW_Narrator> The three suitors will bow again and take their leave for the moment.
* May will catch Dianthea's eye and roll her eyes surreptitiously.
* Dianthea will smile at that as covertly as possible.
<Eyllia> Well now, before everyone runs off I do have to introduce someone
<Sahhiru> Apologies, Captain D'Azzure.
* May admirably keeps herself from sighing.
<Eyllia> Domina, I present to you the Ambassador of the Houses of Elemental Order, Grahm D'Terra, here to formalize the relations between the Houses and Nēšu Abamātu
* Marcus is now known as Grahm
* Grahm will step forward and bow.
<May> Oh! Welcome, Ambassador D'Terra. I'm glad to see that the houses are deciding to advance their relationship with us.
<Grahm> Thank you, Siru Lalu, and I look forward to prosperous and amicable relations between our peoples.
<May> As do I.
<Eyllia> he also means profitable for both as well
<May> Well of course! I would hope so.
<May> There's no sense being a trade city That's the great thing about being a trade city, after all.
<May> (Gah, ignore the first part of that)
<Eyllia> I've also been asked to serve as a special envoy from our ruling council, with Grahm's assistance, to conclude negotiations on the islands discovered off the coast.
<Sahhiru> Negotiations?
<May> What negotiations?
<Laris> The Houses of Elemental Order seek a more permanent land, and these islands seem well-suited to their purposes. The negotiations would be to ensure that those already dwelling there are not impeded, and that other factions do not take up residence there in the meanwhile. But certainly that is still to be discussed at greater length.
* May glances at Sahirru
<Sahhiru> A reasonable course of action. Perhaps we can speak of this tomorrow. Captain, Ambassador?
<Eyllia> Of course
* Grahm nods.
* May nods as well.
<May> Until then, welcome again to the city, Ambassador.
<Eyllia> That's all the additional formality I had
<Grahm> My thanks, Siru.
<May> And thank you again for your efforts, Captain.
<Sahhiru> If that concludes official business for the moment, please, avail yourself of our hospitality while preparations are made for another welcome dinner.
<Laris> As well, now that we have returned, I would like to invite you, along with other guests of course, to my villa for a dinner in celebration of our wedding.
<Laris> Date to be determined...
* Laris says with a smile at Dianthea.
* Dianthea smiles at Laris.
<May> Oh! I'd be honored, of course.
<Sahhiru> A worthy celebration, to be sure.
<Sahhiru> Lugal, if I might have a moment of your time, at your convenience?
<Laris> We have celebrated with our families at home, but we don't wish to neglect our friends here.
* May smiles at that.
<Laris> Oh, certainly.
<May> I'll go see to the guest's arrangements then.
* Eyllia will catch up to May
<Eyllia> Can I steal you for a minute?
<May> Of course...

===Saḫḫiru steals Laris away for a few private moments===-
* Sahhiru will take Laris aside when possible.
* Laris will go to talk to him
<Sahhiru> Your trip seems to have gone well. You look...content.
* Sahhiru smiles, maybe a little wistfully.
<Laris> Yes, it went well, for the most part.
<Laris> I'm glad to be home again, though.
<Sahhiru> I'm glad you're home as well.
* Sahhiru pauses a moment.
<Sahhiru> These islands, and this thing with the Houses of Elemental Order, you believe it to be the correct course?
<Laris> Well... I think that since the islands are there, someone is going to want them. And I'd prefer it be an ally who has demonstrated their willingness to cooperate with us than someone less accomodating.
<Sahhiru> I suppose we lack the manpower to hold them.
* Sahhiru frowns.
<Sahhiru> You met with them then?
<Laris> With the leaders of the Houses of Elemental Order? Yes.
<Sahhiru> What was your impression of them?
<Laris> Or did you mean with the inhabitants of the islands?
<Sahhiru> Both, honestly.
<Laris> The leaders of the Houses seem generally favourably inclined, if cautious about involving themselves in local disputes or politics at present.
<Laris> But the fact that they've sent one of their own to be a representative here indicates a willingness to engage at least.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Laris> They have been through a difficult period, I think. They are very limited in their lands, such as they are, and if we don't grant them these islands, I think they will struggle to maintain themselves on what they have now. Perhaps I'm wrong and they can persist on the small earthmotes they command, but it's a difficult future ahead for them if so.
<Sahhiru> What do they have to offer?
<Laris> Weapons, mainly.
<Sahhiru> Oh?
<Laris> They have excellent forges, and seemed willing to offer their blades for our soldiers to wield, even if they themselves currently do not wish to get involved in battles on our behalf.
<Sahhiru> Well, mutual benefit is the best foundation for alliance.
* Laris nods
<Sahhiru> If they can hold the islands, I'm sure May will have opposition to them doing so.
<Sahhiru> (no opposition, rather)
<Laris> And who knows, as the relationship develops, other trade options may be found. Their fleet is also a respectable force, and having them patrol for pirates and raiders would be to both our benefits.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> On the note of blades, signs point to the rainy season ending soon.
* Laris nods
<Sahhiru> It's time to mobilize if we plan to, and I think it in our best interests.
<Laris> I am glad I didn't miss the beginning of the campaign season.
<Sahhiru> We would have been poorer for it, yes.
* Sahhiru smiles.
* Laris smiles back shyly
<Laris> (how private are we?)
<Sahhiru> Your new bride is waiting, and soon you'll be off on campaign, but I hope we can find some time before then.
<Sahhiru> (Let's say in a room just off the main hall?)
<Laris> yes... I hope so as well.
* Laris won't risk a kiss or anything, then, as it's a bit too close to everyone else for privacy
<Laris> I'll try to find an opportunity.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> Now, I really do have to go make preparations. At this rate, the castle will be full and our larders empty.
<Laris> Yes. I'm happy to assist however I can - I know some of the new guests are my fault, and I apologize -_-
<Sahhiru> The cost of doing business. Never fear, we'll manage somehow.
* Laris nods
* Laris takes his hand for a moment, at least
<Sahhiru> You might want to make sure someone is sent out for the Hrieffen. As I said, campaign season is upon us, and Hraal Kraaz would be quite wroth at being left out.
* Sahhiru will squeeze Laris's hand.
<Laris> Yes. That's a good suggestion. I'll be sure to do that.
<Laris> [q] I've missed you. We'll talk again soon.
* Sahhiru smiles and nods.
<Sahhiru> [q] I look forward to it.
* Sahhiru will let go and take his leave.
* Laris will go back to his folks and let Sahhiru take care of his business, then.

Caelius introduces himself to Induriel


* Caelius will track down Induriel in the great hall if possible.
* Induriel can still be there, quietly talking to Valtheriel
<Caelius> Ambassador Antalanon?
* Induriel looks up
<Induriel> Caelius Latens Sakkors. Welcome to Nesu Abamatu.
<Caelius> Thank you.
<Caelius> You probably don't remember me, but I attended several of your lectures in Aethrennar.
<Caelius> Summoning isn't my forte, but they were illuminating.
* Induriel searches his memory...
<Induriel> (Do I remember him?)
<Induriel> Thank you. I am flattered that you found my teaching useful.
<YOAW_Narrator> (I'll leave that up to you. His mother was an emissary to Alcarinel's court)
<Induriel> (How old was he at the time?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (So he grew up in Aethrennar)
<Induriel> (How good a student was he?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (He'd have been, let's say, like 15-20?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (A pretty good student, but, as he said, not really a summoner)
<Caelius> It was an honor to learn the arts of Aethrennar from such.
<Induriel> You are most kind! And too modest - I do remember you, well enough at least to regret that I did not have a chance to teach you further.
<Induriel> Your considerable talents took you in other directions, as I recall.
* Caelius smiles.
<Caelius> I work better with immediate solutions to problems.
* Caelius gestures towards the sword at his hip.
<Caelius> But I appreciate the more esoteric arts.
<Caelius> I was glad to hear the queen had an ambassador stationed here. It speaks well of this place.
<Induriel> Yes, the town has great potential.
<Induriel> And Heri Mamitu is fortunate enough to have the Queen's good regard.
<Induriel> So your family has decided to send you here to pursue, ah, business interests?
* Caelius nods.
<Caelius> Also Heri Mamitu's hand, if she chooses such.
<Induriel> I see.
<Induriel> I take it your companions may have similar hopes?
<Caelius> Of course.
<Caelius> Nesu Abamatu is poised to become a major player, if one takes the long view.
<Caelius> And we can afford to do so.
* Induriel nods
<Induriel> Indeed.
<Induriel> I take it you have studied the city.
* Caelius nods.
<Caelius> It has an interesting history.
<Caelius> And a violent one at that.
<Caelius> My hope would be for it to become more of a crossroads, where Aethrennar and Thantopolis might meet and unite the continent once more.
<Caelius> Not Turath, perhaps, but a return to old alliances.
<Induriel> Indeed. That would be a most fortunate turn of events.
<Induriel> Thankfully we seem to have achieved a measure of peace, at least for the time being.
<Induriel> Have you had a chance to tour the city for yourself?
<Caelius> No, we just arrived.
<Caelius> I had hoped to take in the city proper soon, though.
<Induriel> Well, once you are settled in, I would be happy to show you some of it.
<Induriel> Have you been settled in?
<Induriel> I don't know the town as well as Laris Corvis, of course.
<Caelius> I'd like that. It would be nice to get a different perspective.
<Caelius> I get the impression our settling in may take some doing. It's apparently quite crowded.
<Induriel> Increasingly so every day, yes.
<Caelius> I hope our contributions will outweigh the burden, then.
<Induriel> But when the new visitors are so distinguished, that cannot be seen as anything other than a boon.
<Induriel> I am sure they will.
* Caelius nods graciously.
<Caelius> A pleasure, again, Ambassador. I don't want to take up too much of your valuable time. I'm sure we'll speak again.
<Induriel> Have you had any refreshments since your arrival? I was about to have something myself, and I would be most pleased if you could join me.
<Caelius> Oh, I'd be delighted.
* Induriel smiles
<Induriel> Wonderful! You can tell me all about your travels since you were last in Aethrennar.
<Induriel> Please, this way...
* Caelius will accompany Induriel
* Induriel escorts Caelius back to his apartments, where they have a light meal and continue the conversation
<Laris> (ftr I will indeed send a message to the Hrieffen to be like "please return to the city at your earliest convenience for celebrations and strategy. BYOB.")
<Laris> (stands for Bring your own Booyagh)
<Caelius> So, I'm curious, how did you get this posting? I hadn't realized politics were an ambition of yours.
<Induriel> I was Heri Mamitu's tutor in Aethrennar, so naturally the Queen thought of me when she decided to establish an embassy here.
<Induriel> I didn't have any particular political ambitions, but of course I was happy to come see my former student.
<Caelius> (Is intelligent, inquisitive, and clearly a big fan of Aethrennari culture)
<Caelius> (He even dresses in something of a mix of Aethrennari and Thantopolitan styles)
<Induriel> (Oh good! :) )
* Induriel spends a pleasant part of the afternoon in Caelius company, then, before seeing that he is returned to the Thantopolitan delegation

Induriel and Valtheriel plot


* Valtheriel will enter after Caelius leaves.
<Valtheriel> Well? What do you think of the competition, Ambassador?
* Induriel frowns and then shrugs
<Induriel> They are all handsome enough. And Caelius does seem a likely candidate.
<Induriel> I don't know anything about the others - who are they?
<Valtheriel> Marcus Castus Zorika and Sagax Nykona.
<Valtheriel> House Zorika is an old Thantopolitan House with, theoretically, blood ties to the first elshadarin to leave the Courts.
<Induriel> Hmmm.
<Induriel> And Nykona?
<Valtheriel> House Nykona is the House which negotiated Thantopolis's alliance/inclusion into Turath.
<Induriel> Both are nobles of great distinction, then. Which is to be expected.
<Valtheriel> They had more substantial holdings in Thantopolis than Bael Turath, so the cataclysm didn't hit them as bad.
* Valtheriel nods.
<Induriel> But ultimately the choice is Mamitu's. What are they like personally?
<Valtheriel> I had minimal interactions, but I'd say Zorika seems stiff, while Nykona has an informal streak that might appeal to Heri Lalu.
<Induriel> Yes. There was that moment during the audience...
* Induriel sighs
<Induriel> Do we have any sense of how our own candidates are progressing?
* Lan_phone (uid135102@id-135102.brockwell.irccloud.com) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
<Valtheriel> She seems to get along well with both of them.
<Valtheriel> Clearly, Faire suits her more in sentiment, but Eren is not without his charms.
<Valtheriel> Faire has the greater connection to pursue, through their shared scholarship.
<Induriel> Yes. Caelius may challenge him a bit on those grounds, I think.
<Induriel> But, I hope, not enough.
* Dianthea (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Valtheriel (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Valtheriel (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Valtheriel nods.
<Induriel> Politically, Eren is far and away the most distinguished connection.
<Valtheriel> Do you have a plan for dealing with these new...developments?
<Valtheriel> Without a doubt.
<Induriel> I'm not sure there's anything to be done. We already got the jump on them by introducing our candidates first. I hesitate to get too directly involved in trying to influence Mamitu's choices - I doubt she would appreciate the interference. :/
<Induriel> We did also have Curu Monthois and Mahalma Limoges on the backburner as possible candidates.
<Induriel> Introducing them now would only muddy the waters, I think. Besides, they weren't our first choices.
<Induriel> Do you have other suggestions? We could investigate the Thantopolitan candidates, I suppose.
<Valtheriel> I'll be looking into them, of course.
<Induriel> However, while we don't want one of them to win, I'm not eager to offend any of them either.
* Valtheriel nods.
<Valtheriel> I'll get more specific information on them, Ambassador.
<Induriel> Caelius was clearly making an overture to us today. So that is positive.
<Valtheriel> He's at least known back home.
<Valtheriel> Fought with our troops a few times, giants, spriggans, things like that.
<Valtheriel> Skirmishes, but by all accounts he acquitted himself well.
<Induriel> The other two are the ones we know least about, then.
<Induriel> I hope none of them are hostile to Aethrennar, at least.
<Valtheriel> I would tend to doubt it. Not to speculate too much, but while we may no longer fall under the same empire anymore, Thantopolis and Aethrennar are still on the same side of most issues.
<Induriel> Yes. But then, I have already been unpleasantly surprised by Laris Corvis' attitudes on certain questions.
<Induriel> Let us find out what we can.

Eyllia tells May about her Dramaz


<Eyllia> I wanted to appologize for dropping that on you cold like that... if I there was time I would have warned you first.
<May> Not your fault. I'm used to shocks at this point. But thanks for the concern :)
* Eyllia smiles
<May> I didn't realize the Houses were looking to claim the islands. I suppose I should have.
<Eyllia> Laris knew as soon as I proposed visiting Hearthspire on our return trip
<May> Well, it's the logical move.
<Eyllia> but forget all that... how have you been?
<May> ...eh.
<May> Good and bad.
<May> There's a lot of pressure right now.
<Eyllia> oh I understand
<May> The keep is slowly filling up with young men that want into my pants and onto my throne.
<May> But at least some of them seem interesting.
<Eyllia> Oh, there are others than the three Laris brough with him?
<May> Induriel has his own contingent. And the elves or who knows who else may try to make their own presentations.
<May> I guess I had tried to block out this part of being a ruler for as long as I could.
<May> But now the dam is breaking.
<Eyllia> It's nice to feel wanted, as long as its for the right reasons
<May> heh, exactly
<May> How am I suppose to know what their reasons are?
<Eyllia> you could ask
<Eyllia> I mean, its not a secret they're here to court you... if they deny it, then there just being shifty
<Eyllia> or thinking you like them being shifty
<May> I suppose. That's kind of what one of them did the other night.
<May> But I'm guessing you didn't sail all the way back here just to hear me complain that I'm spoiled for choice.
<May> How was the trip?
<Eyllia> I don't mind the complaining... its good to get it out...
<Eyllia> as for the trip?
* Eyllia shakes her head
<Eyllia> It was good to visit home, see my family, but I'm glad we didn't stay long
<May> Why?
<Eyllia> things at Hearthspire... I find them confining
* May nods.
<May> I can understand that, certainly.
<Eyllia> and the rest of the trip... well I made it my own torture
* May frowns.
<May> I thought you loved being out on the ocean?
<Eyllia> Oh I do...
<Eyllia> I just fell hard for someone I shouldn't have
<Eyllia> and made a mess of it for myself
<May> Oh... dear. Dare I ask who?
<Eyllia> I'll tell you, only because I'm going to end it... besides, she has a husband now
<May> ...
<May> Oh.
* Eyllia says with a little bitterness
* May puts a hand on your shoulder.
<May> That's... rough.
<May> How does she feel about it?
<May> Or does she even know?
<Eyllia> She is fine with us... I just can't share
<Eyllia> or I haven't learned how to yet
<May> Ah.
<Eyllia> So I have to end it for me
<May> I'm sorry.
<Eyllia> I appreciate that
* Eyllia gives May a little hug
* May returns it.
<May> At least you're back now and not stuck on a boat with her.
<Eyllia> if any of those ~boys~ messes with you, let me know... I can teach em a few lessons
* May laughs.
<May> I'm sure you would.
<Eyllia> Its a wide horizon from here on out
<Eyllia> I'll let you go. We can talk or go dancing later
<May> Will you be staying around here for long?
<Eyllia> I'm gonna be around town for a while
<May> Oh, good :)
<May> If I ever get a break from interviewing husbands I'll come and kidnap you for a night.
<Eyllia> that sounds fun!
* Eyllia smiles
* May hugs her again.

Gladius and Meghan come to visit Korivan


<YOAW_Narrator> Mid-morning one day, a dragon you can only presume to be Gladius is seen circling the site from above, then coming down to land , you're fairly certain, at the edge of the swamp/bog/whatever.
* Korivan will take a few peeps out to meet him then
* Gladius (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Meghan (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Gladius will be waiting with his daughter in human form, just outside the swamp as you thought.
<Gladius> [goblin] I hope I'm not intruding.
<Korivan> [g] Not here.... It is good to see you recovered.
* Gladius will continue in goblin for the time being.
<Gladius> Thank you.
<Gladius> I had wanted a chance to speak to you, if you have time.
<Korivan> (same)
<Korivan> I do.
* Korivan considers where would be maybe a better place for this
<Korivan> I will have a tent prepared.... on the rise
* Gladius nods.
<Gladius> As you wish.
* Korivan indicates where he means
* Gladius will head over there.
<YOAW_Narrator> Korivan's minions will go get a tent.
* Korivan will have his peeps get that together, and also a welcoming spread
<Meghan> You're quite gracious, Gaath Korivan. We thank you for your welcome.
<Korivan> We welcome few guests...here.
<Gladius> Of course.
<Gladius> Your sacred lands lie within, yes?
* Gladius motions towards the swamp.
<Korivan> Within... Is that what you expected?
<Gladius> I looked from above. Do you mean that impression?
* Korivan nods
<Gladius> It is a strong and well-protected spiritual edifice.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Gladius> Are these your original ancestral lands?
<Korivan> When we came here....we carried the heart of the land with us.
<Korivan> So no...and yes.
* Gladius nods.
<Gladius> Did your people have the mark by then?
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> It was...new.
<Gladius> When was that, if you know?
<Korivan> The mark?
<Korivan> or the...move
<Gladius> Either, really.
<Korivan> The mark.... in the time of Gaath Hrieffen Eryvet Galra
<Korivan> We took the lands.... under Hraal Yetka Erez
<Korivan> So...
* Gladius nod.
* Korivan thinks, fitting things together
<Gladius> Do you know why you received the mark?
<Korivan> hmm? Yes.
<Korivan> gifts... to lead. Unite. Uplift.
* Korivan says, thinking back to the converstaion wiht the other mark holders
* Gladius nods.
<Korivan> To share....your war
<Gladius> Hmm.
<Korivan> Is this...what you thought?
<Gladius> It makes sense.
<Gladius> The siblings...brought others into their conflicts, yes.
<Korivan> not that conflict @_@
<Korivan> Bane's war
<Korivan> The Abyss
* Gladius nods.
<Gladius> Terus's war was different than their siblings'.
<Korivan> Terus....brought strength
<Gladius> Right.
<Korivan> Was it?
<Gladius> You think of it as Bane's war, but he is not the only one fighting it.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Korivan> many gods...and others.
<Korivan> (sec I need to let jola out brb)
<Meghan> Yes.
<YOAW_Narrator> (kk)
<Korivan> (bacK)
<YOAW_Narrator> (wibs)
<Korivan> But Bane also brings.... strength.
* Korivan shrugs, he knows you're not really here to talk about Bane
<Gladius> He does.
<Gladius> I'm sorry, my people have a different relationship with the gods.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> What did you come to learn?
<Gladius> I don't know yet, actually.
<Gladius> Wisdom coming in knowing you don't know.
<Gladius> (comes, rather)
* Korivan nods
<Gladius> For now, I'm just curious about your people.
<Gladius> It seems you are again in line for a change.
<Korivan> Things are always changing... new tests.
<Gladius> Of course.
<Korivan> Do you mean the Hrieffen.... or the Gaburrim?
<Gladius> The Hrieffen at least. And I think that may mean the Gaburrim as a whole, in time.
<Korivan> (do I, or the ancestors, have any idea what he is talking about? >.>)
* Gladius (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
<YOAW_Narrator> (The ancestors seem concerned about that line, at least)
* Gladius (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Korivan> How do you mean, then.
<Korivan> ?
<Gladius> I'm not clear myself.
<Gladius> May I stay here for the time being?
<Korivan> You may both stay.
<Meghan> Thank you, Gaath.
<Meghan> Though I may return to Nesu Abamatu.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> someone here can attend to you... if you wish.
<Gladius> I appreciate that, but I assure you, I can take care of myself.
<Korivan> I am sure.
<Korivan> It would be...their honour.
* Korivan is not concerned
* Gladius nods.
* Korivan looks to Meghan then
<Korivan> Do you need....a mount?
<Meghan> No, I should be fine.
<Meghan> But thank you.
<Meghan> I'm sure I'll see you in the city, soon.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> It will be raiding season soon
<Meghan> I assume you have preparations to make?
<YOAW_Narrator> (brb)
* Korivan nods


Solos

Laris gives Calkas the gift of freedom :3


<Kennesaw> You can easily find time to talk to Calkas sometime in the next day or two.
<Laris> okay
* Laris will ask Calkas into his office, then
* Calkas will arrive promptly.
<Calkas> Dominus?
<Laris> Ah, yes, good morning.
<Laris> I had a few matters I wished to discuss with you, now that we're home.
<Calkas> Of course. How may I serve?
<Laris> First is the intended celebration here - if I draw up a guest list, perhaps you can begin preparations for that. I was hoping for something... not quite like the celebrations the Hrieffen may be used to, but I understand that a full Thantopolitan dinner party may not be in the cards.
<Laris> Something that ... bridges the gap there, I suppose.
* Calkas nods.
<Calkas> Civilized, but not overly so.
<Calkas> I understand.
<Laris> Yes, I suppose that's one way to put it.
<Calkas> I mean no offense, but I would despair of our couches with the Hrieffen in attendance.
<Calkas> Perhaps something more in the Aethrennari style, benches and table?
<Laris> Yes... a sensible concern, I think. Would it be more prudent to put out some... ah, secondary furniture? or cover the existing couches.
* Laris nods
<Calkas> How many of the Hrieffen were you planning on having attend?
<Laris> Kraaz and Korivan, perhaps with a few of their retinues? I don't think they do "plus ones" ;p I would think, depending on their preferences, perhaps anywhere from four to a dozen might be in attendance.
* Kennesaw is now known as Calkas_
<Calkas_> (Using two comps, sorry)
<Calkas_> And overall?
* Laris does some quick mental tallies.
<Laris> Mamitu and Sahhiru, of course. Captain Eyllia if she wishes to attend, with some of her compatriots. Some of the ambassadors, I suppose. Fata Merula, certainly. Varinia, perhaps a few others if they are available. I'd say somewhere around ten or twelve, perhaps, plus the members of this household, and an indefinite number of Hrieffen.
* Calkas_ nods.
<Calkas_> A not inconsiderable gathering.
<Laris> Yes, I hope it will not be too taxing.
<Laris> As you say, the level of formality can be... casual.
<Calkas_> No doubt the Hrieffen will help with that.
* Laris nods
<Calkas_> And the suitors?
<Laris> Yes, certainly, I think Father would disown me if he heard I hadn't invited them.
<Calkas_> Then should Lord Brescia and Master Roanne be invited as well?
* Laris considers that
<Calkas_> Or shall we give our suitors a leg up, as it were?
<Laris> I think it's only fair. To be quite honest, I have little stake in which young man she chooses. I'm more interested in providing opportunities for them here that don't revolve around marrying May. After all, she can only marry one of them ... presumably. But they all may have skills and talents that would be an asset to the city.
* Calkas_ nods.
<Laris> It's good for them to meet people aside from her, and hopefully find ways that they can occupy themselves and be useful.
<Calkas_> Should we be looking into ways to facilitate their finding stations here? Finding tasks for them and the like?
<Laris> If it was a choice between her marrying one of them and the other two departing for Thantopolis, I would rather see her choose none of them but have them decide to stay for reasons that go beyond marital alliances.
<Laris> Yes, I think that would be good. If you have suggestions, I'm eager to hear.
* Calkas_ nod.
<Calkas_> Increasing the talent pool, as it were.
* Calkas (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
<Laris> Yes. If we create a sense that this is a place of opportunity, we can draw more promising people from Thantopolis. Such a hold is, I think, more lasting than a single marriage. Not that I discourage the marriage by any means, but it is only one union. What I would prefer to see is ... a talented elite who can help guide the city through many different channels.
<Calkas_> Master Faire and Magus Nykona both have mystical expertise that might assist our forces, or aid in projects closer to home. Tribune Sakkors and Sanctus Zorika have a more martial bent, and we do presumably have campaigns forthcoming.
* Laris nods
<Laris> If we can include them in such matters, without causing affront to our current allies, then I think that is all for the best.
<Calkas_> Lord Brescia is likewise spoken of as a redoubtable warrior.
* Calkas_ places a little emphasis on "spoken of"
* Laris nods
<Laris> Let's try not to get any of them killed this season, though, if we can avoid it.
<Calkas_> It would be costly on many fronts, yes.
* Laris nods
<Laris> This is all a bit out of scope for the dinner party, but I suppose it's worthwhile to discuss for the future.
<Laris> If anyone gets killed, it will definitely have gone too far into Hrieffen levels of celebration.
* Laris says dryly.
* Calkas_ smiles.
<Laris> There's another matter I hoped to discuss with you.
<Calkas_> Should we focus on local fare, a celebration of the city, or is it better to use some of what we brought back with us to reinforce Thantoplis's role here?
<Calkas_> Oh?
<Laris> Ah... a mix of the two would be quite good, I think.
<Calkas_> We'll strike a balance
* Laris nods
<Laris> Thank you.
* Laris clears his throat slightly, like he's not quite sure how to bring up the next thing he wanted to talk about
<Laris> The other thing...
<Calkas_> Dominus?
* Laris takes a deep breath.
<Laris> Calkas, you have been a faithful and diligent servant for thirty years. Better than I've deserved. I want to... to give you your freedom. I understand that in making this offer, you would be free to leave if you so choose, and I accept that if it's the case. Although... I would miss you very much.
* Calkas_ looks stunned.
<Calkas_> Dominus...
<Calkas_> If you'll forgive the impertinence, Laris, I have to admit, I had hoped this day might come. Now that it has, I seem to be at a loss.
<Laris> I should probably have done it a long time ago. But... I was afraid to lose you.
<Calkas_> My freedom would be a gracious gift, but must say I would as soon not leave House...your service.
* Laris nods, relieved
<Calkas_> I believe, as you do, there is good to be done here, and I believe you are in a position to do it.
<Calkas_> I would like to continue to aid in whatever way I can.
<Laris> You will always have a place here, if you want it. I welcome your aid, as an ... advisor?
<Laris> I don't know what else to call you.
* Calkas_ smiles.
<Calkas_> Titles don't hold much appeal to me.
<Laris> Except my friend, and a part of my ... family, if you choose. I don't want to presume.
* Calkas_ smiles wider, clearly keeping himself from tearing up.
<Calkas_> I would like that.
* Calkas_ composes himself.
* Laris is having some trouble composing himself as well
<Calkas_> I will, ah, have the appropriate papers drawn up.
<Calkas_> Ahem.
<Laris> Thank you.
<Calkas_> And there is much to do before the party.
<Calkas_> I...thank you, Laris.
<Calkas_> You're a good man.
<Laris> We can discuss at further length if there are any changes you'd like to make as a result of this... adjustment. If you wish for different quarters, or to arrange for a salary for your services, or... we can work that out.
<Laris> I'm grateful that you wish to stay on here.
<Calkas_> I suppose I will need both of those at some point, but there's no need to discuss it just now.
* Laris nods
<Calkas_> I am proud to stay.
* Laris hesitates a bit and then gets down awkwardly so he can give Calkas a hug.
* Calkas_ will return the hug less awkwardly.