Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session 28

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session logs
Previous Session 28 Next

Summary

A large strategy meeting sets the goals and approaches for the coming campaign against the Osoro. Following this, Laris hosts a dinner party at his villa, ostensibly in honour of his recent marriage to Dianthea, and everyone attends.

Session

Session date: 2019-02-02
In Game date:

Strategy Meeting

In attendance: May, Sahhiru, Kadanu, Ferko, and Temu for House Lalu, Laris, Rufus, Varinia for House Corvis, Kraaz and Korivan, MOntano, Mygal and Kryx for the Ankai, Induriel and Valtheriel


<YOAW_Narrator> So folks can gather in the great hall. Tables and chairs will be set up, maps laid out, refreshments provided. I'm sure Kraaz is availing himself of them heartily.
<Laris> (punch and pie)
<Induriel> (otp)
* May will be looking over maps of the territories
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<YOAW_Narrator> (Speaking of which...)
<YOAW_Narrator> Nesu2.png
<Sahhiru> Welcome, assembled notables, friends and allies.
* Sahhiru will say, as a way of bringing things to order.
<Sahhiru> As you all know, we're here today to discuss the upcoming season, and, more specifically, plans to deal with Iaga of the Osoro.
<YOAW_Narrator> There's some general muttering assent to that.
<Sahhiru> It is our hope to resolve this matter cleanly, and with a minimum of bloodshed, but the Osoro represent a growing problem for the peoples of the valley and coast here. One that is best resolved quickly and decisively.
* Kraaz (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Sahhiru> What course of action would you suggest?
* Sahhiru motions to open it up to the room.
<Kraaz> We fall upon them in strength, overwhelm them before they can reinforce, and end this before it begins.
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Korivan nods in support
<Laris> We could attempt to remove the problem at the head, so to speak.
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Kraaz> Hmph.
<May> How so?
<Laris> Eliminate Iaga and see if the rest of them are more amenable to deal with after that.
<May> I doubt they would be very amenable to anything but attacking if we killed Iaga. Unless they didn't know it was us.
<Sahhiru> I believe that is Lugal Corvis's plan.
<Laris> Ideally, yes, they would not know it was us.
<May> Is that feasible?
* Montano (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Laris> But we should keep other options available, of course.
<Montano> It's not a bad idea, but I worry that it won't accomplish what we want.
<Korivan> There are others....they coudl turn to
<Montano> If Iaga's gone, the next most likely head is her son Jourdain, and he's...well, he's his mother's son in attitude, but not in aptitude.
<Laris> So you think her successors would ultimately continue her policies?
* Montano is now known as Ferko
<May> Hmmm...
<Ferko> There is already some interaction between the Osoro and the Amanya Hatal.
<Laris> it might still be preferable to have him in command, then, if he is less skilled.
<Ferko> It's possible we'll face some of their forces if this comes to war.
* Ferko is now known as Montano
<Montano> I'd say that's true, if it's manageable.
<Laris> perhaps a combination of plans, then.
<Laris> A massed force to draw them out, and then a targeted strike at their leader.
<May> Or vice versa
<May> If we do decide to initiate hostilities, it may help to have them in a transitional state between leaders, potentially confused and demoralized.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> From my understanding of our troop dispositions, that plan is feasible.
<Sahhiru> Ferko?
* Montano is now known as Ferko
<Ferko> That's correct, sir.
<Ferko> They outnumber us on foot, but they have almost no cavalry to speak of.
<Ferko> With the Hrieffen and the Katalal, we have a significantly more mobile force.
<Laris> What about the Amanya Hatal's forces, if they do play a role?
<Ferko> If they commit fully, we'd end up fighting a defensive battle, but we'd have the city to fall back to.
<Ferko> More likely, the Curadh and possibly the Hramunn and Yalme might join the Osoro forces. That means more infantry, and doubles their cavalry, but we'd still outnumber them in cavalry almost two to one.
<Laris> They would have to get there - through Curadh territory
<Ferko> We have the advantage in spellcasting and support, as well.
* Ferko is now known as Kadanu
<May> Will they be expecting us? If we can attack quickly enough they may not have a chance to call for any reinforcements until it's too late.
<Kadanu> Our support troops can entrench a position with a little time. We can provide an anchor point for the Hrieffen and Katalal to maneuver from.
<Sahhiru> Iaga is not a fool. Reports are she's had her people on alert, much as we have.
<Sahhiru> They're not gathered for an assault, but they're not unprepared, either.
* Korivan nods
<May> Hmm
<Korivan> Some are already... anticipating her fall.
* Kadanu is now known as Montano
<Montano> We haven't been able to completely get the word out, but there are some who might join our side if we offered good terms.
<Montano> And offering better than Iaga shouldn't be hard.
<Korivan> Yes...
<YOAW_Narrator> Nesu3.png
<YOAW_Narrator> (For reference without the borders)
* Montano is now known as Ferko
<Korivan> (Josh where were we with the Kobra Kai?)
<Laris> We could see if we could send some warships up the river to block their passage.
<Ferko> There are some political pressure points, yes.
<YOAW_Narrator> (They're willing to join your side in this. Kreez trusts Montano to act on their behalf in this meeting.)
<Korivan> (okay, then I'll let him bring that up)
<Ferko> Neither the Rionino nor the Pedernal much like the Osoro.
* Ferko Montano.
* Ferko is now known as Montano
<Montano> That's damn right. They're a bit odd, but they don't like Iaga any more than we do.
<May> What are the strengths of their forces?
* Sahhiru consults some written reports.
<Sahhiru> 300 troops between them, a mix of primals. They're a shamanic people.
<May> Hmmm
<May> That's not much... But If nothing else they can screen the Osoro from behind. Push them towards us and prevent them from escaping if need be.
<Montano> The Pedernal go more towards Lady Melora, and the Rionino older things still, but they're good folk, all in all.
<Kraaz> With them and the Kobrakai, we'd cut off their entire southern flank.
<Kraaz> And if we've go the advantage in horse...
<Kraaz> Oh, and drake.
* Kraaz adds, towards Montano.
<May> I'd say it's worth approaching them.
<Kraaz> Your imperial foot could press west along the river while we hit their rear and sides.
* Laris nods
<May> Kraaz, have I ever told you you have an amazing way with words?
* Kraaz grins.
* May grins back at him.
* Retrieving #gnomeland modes...
* Korivan grins a bit at the exchange as well, but also tried to not roll his eyes ;p
<Laris> Yes, I trust with you hitting their, ah, rear, that would be sufficiently distracting.
* Laris says dryly
* Kraaz laughs heartily at that.
<Laris> It sounds like we are generally in agreement, with a few details to be worked out - the possibility of approaching the Pedernal and the Rionino for support, of sending ships to block the approach of the Amanya Hatal or other reinforcements, and of putting together a targeted strike force to pick off their leaders.
* Korivan is mostly just listening for all of this, trying to pay attention to the people o the present and also no miss anything that the ancestors might say that coudl be relevant as opposed to just general bloodthirst
* May nods.
<May> House Lalu may be able to provide some magical support, especially for that last part. I'll begin looking into it.
<Kraaz> Moving through the Katalal lands means we can strike anywhere in Osoro territory.
<Laris> Montano, can you pass the word to the Kobrakai, and thus to the Pedernal and Rionino, that we welcome their support in this matter?
* Montano nods.
<Montano> The Kobrakai are with us.
* Laris nods
<Montano> I'll see what I can do about the Pedernal and the Rionino.
<Laris> And perhaps for the ships, we should talk to Captain Eyllia, and see what the Houses of Elemental Order might be able to offer. I know they want to avoid getting involved in our conflicts, but perhaps we can frame this as preventing broader warfare.
<Laris> My own ships are of course also available.
<Montano> Though it might help if I had someone from y'all to speak to them. I can be the connection, but it'll seem more...official if one of y'all are there.
<Montano> Not one of y'all specifically, but someone from the city, I mean.
<Laris> I will defer to the Hrieffen and the Katalal on the best grounds to attack from, as you know the territory best.
<YOAW_Narrator> Kraaz and Katalal will nod at that.
<May> I can talk to Captain Eyllia.
<May> At some point we will also need to discuss what will happen to the Osoro territories afterwards. Just so there are no... unexpected disappointments.
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
<Laris> Perhaps Ferko be amenable to being our representative in this matter?
<Laris> (would be)
* Laris suggests to May (and presumably Ferko, who is right there)
* Montano is now known as Ferko
<Ferko> (to May) As my lady commands me.
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Kraaz (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
<YOAW_Narrator> (All my peeps dropping. Grr.)
* May nods.
<May> Thank you, Ferko.
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Client Quit)
* Ferko bows with a little flourish.
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Ferko (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
<Sahhiru> Okay, so, Lugal Laris will coordinate the overall effort, and presumably command the eastern force?
* Sahhiru looks to Laris for confirmation.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Yes.
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Client Quit)
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Sahhiru returns the nod.
<Sahhiru> The eastern force will move west along the river, providing a safe fallback position from which the southern force, under Hraal Kraaz, can strike.
<Sahhiru> Is this workable?
* Kraaz (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Kraaz> We'll try to leave some for you.
<Laris> Very generous, thank you.
* Kraaz (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Client Quit)
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Client Quit)
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Sahhiru> How full should the deployment be?
<Sahhiru> We'll need to make sure the city remains defended.
<Sahhiru> The front should shield any reprisals against our civilians.
* Laris nods
<May> Still, we don't want any opportunists taking advantage of our absense.
<Sahhiru> Lalu and Corvis forces together number some 500 infantry and 300 archers.
<Sahhiru> The Ankai have a further 200 infantry, if they'll concede to join the eastern front.
<Laris> We also should remember that Gladius remains in the city and has stated that he will aid in its defense if the need should arise.
* Kraaz (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Mygal (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Korivan nods
* Mygal frowns and looks at Kraaz
* Kraaz shrugs and nods.
<Mygal> We'll fight with you.
<May> Archers are our best defense with the walls repaired. With our walls a small force should suffice even without Gladius.
* Mygal is now known as Montano
<Montano> The Kobrakai have some archers that'd join, too.
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Kraaz (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Client Quit)
* Montano (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Client Quit)
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Sahhiru> I don't want to count too entirely on Lord Gladius, but that is something to keep in mind.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Keeping back some archers makes sense, as well.
* Sahhiru is now known as Rufus
* Rufus is now known as Rufus_Metillius
<Rufus_Metillius> We could leave back your newishly-raised undead for the time being, to guard the city and act as reserve.
<Laris> yes, that might be best. They're the greenest of our troops, but even they can defend a walled city if the need arises.
<Rufus_Metillius> My thoughts exactly.
* Rufus_Metillius is now known as Varinia
<May> Perhaps 50 archers and the new undead, then.
* Varinia is now known as Sahhiru
<Sahhiru> Perhaps those should be from our troops, then.
<Sahhiru> Shared defense and all.
<May> Yes.
<May> That seems reasonable
<Sahhiru> I believe we're all in agreement, then?
* May nods.
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
<Laris> YEs
* Sahhiru (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Sahhiru> Then I believe we are down to details. The truly important part.


Elegant Dinner Party Pt 1: Laris and Dianthea

IN attendance: <Laris> (uhhh okay, let's see if I can remember it all - Sahhiru, May, Kraaz, Korivan (and if they want to bring a few guests they can), Eyllia (and Grahm and Lysa if she wants), Induriel and his posse of peeps, Varinia, Merula, my trio of suitors... Dianthea, Rufus, Calkas, the elves, Meghan, Gladius, Faasha and Halgalaz, one of Kraaz's lieutenants


<Dianthea> (To Laris, beforehand)
<Dianthea> I'm nervous.
<Dianthea> I know we pretty much know everyone, but still.
<Dianthea> It's like having to do a first impression all over again.
<Laris> We do. And I'm a bit nervous as well. I don't usually have guests here, so this is new.
<Dianthea> How're you feeling?
<Laris> Just that I hope it goes smoothly. It's a large group of people to have here, and I hope they'll ... behave themselves.
<Laris> But I think it will be all right.
<Dianthea> Well, we don't want them to behave too much.
* Laris smiles at that
* Dianthea smiles and takes Laris's hand.
<Laris> no, not that much. I want it to be a bit more relaxed, at least, than the wedding was. We should enjoy ourselves.
<Dianthea> Me, Rufus, *and* Sahhiru all here. How could you not relax?
* Dianthea smirks.
* Laris gives a little laugh at that
<Laris> well... I'll rely on you all to help me stay relaxed, how about that? :)
<Dianthea> We'll do our best.
* Dianthea leans in to kiss Laris.
<Dianthea> I'm sure you'll be fine.
<Laris> and you as well - you're a wonderful hostess and I know you'll do well. And it's only one night.
* Dianthea nods.
<YOAW_Narrator> A servant will enter to announce the arrival of your first guests.
* Laris will offer Dianthea his arm so we can go greet them.
* Dianthea will take it and accompany Laris gladly
<YOAW_Narrator> (I don't think we need to do each individual group arriving. Any NPCs people are particularly interested in interacting with?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (I also encourage PC interactions in other channels :))
<May> (The various suitors in general, particularly the Thantopolitan ones as I havent really talked to them yet)
* Laris 's house is super nice - I'd say the aesthetic is "classy but austere" - everything very expensive and very high quality and tasteful ;) plus there are pools.

Elegant Dinner Party pt. 2: May and Sagax


* Sagax will try to find time to approach May when she's not surrounded by people.
<Sagax> Siru Mamitu, good evening.
* May will be mingling somewhat awkwardly, clearly out of her element, but trying.
<May> Lord Nykona. It's nice to see you here.
<May> How have you been enjoying your stay so far?
<Dianthea> It's been eye-opening already. My family is Turathi originally, but we're practically Thantopolitan at this point. The mix of the old Turathi style with newer Thantopolitan construction here...oddly comforting.
<Dianthea> (Sagax, obvs)
<Sagax> (Whoops)
* May smiles.
<Sagax> I think you're making something truly special here.
<May> Yes, like the two of us this city is a bit ecclectic in its background.
* Sagax smiles.
<May> Thank you. I'm proud of what we've already done in a short time.
<Sagax> You absolutely should be. From my understanding, there was never exactly the will to see this city become more than an outpost. You've changed that.
* May blushes slightly.
<May> I've had a lot of help.
<Sagax> A wise ruler heeds good counsel, finds trustworthy aid.
<Sagax> I understand you're a willworker, like myself?
<Sagax> Different traditions, I think, but there are always commonalities.
<May> There are indeed. I'm actually preparing a treatise on the commonalities of various traditions. Although of course, it's still in preliminary stages.
<Sagax> I'd love to compare notes, as it were.
* Dianthea is now known as Faire
<May> That would be nice. Perhaps you could give me some further insights into Thantopolitan practices?
<Sagax> I'd be happy to show you how things are done in Thantopolis.
* Sagax smiles slyly.
* May laughs.
<May> I suddenly wonder if we're talking about the same thing.
* May grins.
<Sagax> I can't imagine we're not.
<Sagax> I'll let you get back to mingling, Siru. I'm sure you have many clamoring for your time.
<May> I'm sure I do. But I hope we get a chance to talk further. Perhaps I can show you the library some time
<Sagax> I look forward to it.
* Sagax will then nod and leave. :)
* May will do likewise.

Elegant Dinner Party pt. 3: May and Caelius


* Caelius will approach May a little later.
<May> Lord... Sakkors? I hope I'm getting that right. I admit I'm not the best with names.
<Caelius> [in Elduar] Most gracious blessings upon you, Lady.
<Caelius> Yes, that is correct.
<Caelius> There are more than enough to keep track of, I'm sure.
* May will continue in Elduar, then.
<May> It's good to see you here. How are you finding the city?
<Caelius> Pleasant enough. I fear I've seen little of it thus far. I must make a point to see more of its charms.
<May> You should. It's small, but it has a lot to offer.
<Caelius> What would you suggest? Is there a good tavern, perhaps? An artisan you favor, or some natural site of your lands that holds beauty for you?
<May> Well, I'm always fond of the markets and the docks. I like seeing so many people coming from so many places to help build something together. It's inspiring, honestly.
* Caelius smiles.
<Caelius> You see the prosperity of the realm comes from its people. Many are not so wise, Heri Lalu.
<May> Thank you, although I try to surround myself with people who feel likewise.
<Caelius> A doubly wise policy.
<Caelius> Do you get out among your people often?
<May> Not enough. And not as much as I'd like. It seems there's always something else that demands attention, whether I like it or not.
<Caelius> Perhaps you'd like a companion? I'd be delighted to see the city from your perspective.
<May> I'm sure that could be arranged.
<Caelius> I look forward to it.
* May smiles
* Caelius returns the smile.
<YOAW_Narrator> (good thing, I think)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Good there, rather)
<May> (I imagine they just kind of smile awkwardly at each other for a while and then sort of drift away :3 )

Elegant Dinner Party pt. 4: Induriel and Dianthea


* Induriel and his entourage approach Dianthea at some point in the evening
<Dianthea> Ambassador Antalanon, thank you for joining us.
<Dianthea> We are honored by your presence.
<Induriel> Thank you, Lady Dianthea. We are all most pleased to be here.
<Induriel> May I present Lord Eren Brescia, cousin of our glorious Queen Alcarinel?
* Faire is now known as Eren
<Dianthea> Welcome to our home, Lord Brescia.
<Eren> Thank you for your hospitality, Lady Corvis.
<Induriel> How are you settling in to your new home?
<Dianthea> Well, I had a little bit of time here before the wedding.
<Dianthea> It's an adjustment, but I like it here.
<Induriel> I'm glad!
<Dianthea> And you? How are you liking Nesu Abamatu?
<Induriel> (Was that to me, or to Eren? :P )
<Dianthea> (Both, really)
<Induriel> Quite well, thank you. As for you, for me it has been something of an adjustment, of course.
<Induriel> However, it is fast becoming a place of note. Due in no small part to the skilled efforts of your husband.
<Dianthea> You're kind to say so.
<Induriel> I hear he has even built Thantopolitan style baths!
<Dianthea> Have you not been? They're quite lovely.
<Dianthea> We have them here at the villa, as well.
<Induriel> I confess, I have not yet had the opportunity.
<Induriel> However, since you recommend them, I will be sure to make the time.
* Dianthea smiles.
<Induriel> I expect the other new arrivals from Thantopolis will also enjoy them. It is not as much of a custom here, but perhaps it will soon become so.
<Dianthea> We're trying to bring some of Thantopolitan culture with us.
<Dianthea> To help our people here feel at home.
<Induriel> To our profit!
<Dianthea> That too.
<Induriel> I hope the Lords Caelius, Marcus, and Sagax are also settling in well?
<Dianthea> They seem to be. As you said, it's an adjustment.
<Dianthea> I believe they will be useful additions to Mamitu's court.
<Induriel> I am sure they will. Were you acquainted with all of them before they joined you on the journey here?
<Dianthea> We'd had dinner with them once, if that's what you mean.
* Dianthea laughs.
<Induriel> Oh?
* Dianthea (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Dianthea (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Dianthea> The Senate assigned them to us. I believe they have some form of official standing, under my husband's leadership, but we all know why they're here.
<Dianthea> Or, the main reason. We hope they'll find the city to their liking regardless.
<Induriel> Yes. I must introduce myself to them at some point - I'm sure they'll all be an asset to the city, whatever happens.
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> And your guests? Will they be staying long?
<Eren> It's possible, Lady Corvis.
<Eren> I'm still acclimating to the city and its opportunities.
* Dianthea gives Eren a pleasantly flat look.
<Induriel> I have hopes that all the new arrivals may find the city to their liking, yes.
<Dianthea> Splendid. Then we can all work together towards Nesu Abamatu's benefit, I'm sure.
<Induriel> Yes. Aethrennar and Thantopolis may be independent, but we have always been good friends. I am sure that will continue, both here and elsewhere.
<Dianthea> I'm sure.
<Induriel> We are delighted that you have come to stay with us, Lady Corvis. I wish you and the Lugal many happy years together.
* Dianthea smiles.
<Dianthea> Thank you, Ambassador.
* Induriel smiles back
<Dianthea> If you'll excuse me, I should probably go find my husband.
<Dianthea> Please, make yourself at home.
<Induriel> Of course. Thank you again for inviting us to share in your celebration.
* Dianthea nods graciously and takes her leave.

Elegant Dinner Party pt. 5: Induriel and the Clash of Suitors


* Induriel spots them and escorts his entourage over to greet them
<Induriel> Lord Zorika, Lord Nykona. Greetings! May I extend my personal welcome to you both?
<Marcus> Ambassador...Antalanon? A pleasure.
<Sagax> Thank you, Ambassador. You're most kind.
* Induriel smiles
<Induriel> The pleasure is mine. May I introduce Lord Eren Brescia, the cousin of Queen Alcarinel?
* Eren (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Eren> Charmed.
<Induriel> I hope you are both settling in well?
<Marcus> A pleasure as well, Lord Brescia. What brings a cousin of the Summer Queen to Nesu Abamatu?
<Sagax> Well enough. It's something of an adjustment. Not the worst billet I've had outside the Eternal City. Quite lovely in its way.
<Induriel> (Oops, didn't mean to interrupt the conversation with royalty. But they are all NPCs, so...)
<Eren> I accompanied a few friends as they came to visit their uncle, Ambassador Antalanon here.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Heh)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Also, that usually means something different in AW :p)
<Induriel> Yes, there have been a few visitors arriving from Aethrennar as well. And I believe they too find it something of an adjustment, though a pleasant one.
<Marcus> Less of an environmental adjustment for you, at least. It's much warmer than I realized.
<Induriel> Well, I know the Lugal has had some Thantopolitan-style baths constructed recently.
* Sagax (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
<Induriel> Did you know him well before coming here?
<Marcus> I didn't. Sagax?
* Sagax (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Sagax shakes his head.
<Sagax> No, just got assigned by the Senate.
<Sagax> I think I'm a...Magus Supernumerary attached to the...what is this again? 4th century of the 12th?
<Induriel> Ah. And yourself, Lord Zorika?
<Marcus> Tribune Sacratus.
<Marcus> Largely nominal, but I hope we can help where able.
<Induriel> A sign of the importance your Senate is beginning to attach to Nesu Abamatu. And a boon for us, since it brings you here.
* Eren (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Marcus nods politely.
<Sagax> Well, it's a sign of importance only if you think of us as important, which is a bit of a stretch.
<Marcus> But we'll try to do right by the city and our people.
* Marcus hurriedly interjects.
<Induriel> You are too modest, Lord Sagax! I'm sure you have great skills that will be of benefit to the city. To *both
* cities.
<Induriel> Have you each been given particular assignments here?
<Sagax> You're too kind, Ambassador.
<Sagax> How are you enjoying your posting? I can't imagine it's been entirely easy.
* Sagax pointedly looks over to where the elves are.
* Induriel tries not to let his pleasant smile waver
<Induriel> It has been most rewarding. Though with occasional... disappointments.
<Induriel> As you have noticed.
* Marcus (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Marcus (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Marcus> Domina Lalu seems to be keeping the peace between the various factions, at least. Surely that's worthwhile.
<Induriel> The peace could be better assured by keeping *some
* factions altogether out of the city.
<Sagax> I'm sure Caelius would agree with you.
<Induriel> And you, Lord Sagax?
<Sagax> I would prefer to avoid an incident, Ambassador Antalanon. Perhaps my opinion is best left unvoiced.
<Induriel> I see. Lord Marcus?
* Sagax (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Lan_phone (uid135102@id-135102.brockwell.irccloud.com) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
* Marcus (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Marcus (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Marcus> I'm less diplomatic than my friend here. I respect your people, Ambassador, and your Queen, but Vanilorra has every right to have representatives here. They've kept their peace with us since the Fall, and I would mislike seeing them falter. Prosperity is a better seed for peace.
<Induriel> I must admit, I am disappointed to hear you say so. Aethrennar and Thantopolis have long been friends; I had hoped you would be more supportive of our Queen, and less accepting of the rebels against her rightful authority. Is this a common view in the Eternal City, i wonder?
<Marcus> It's not uncommon.
* Sagax (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Marcus> One hundred years ago, they were rebels. Clearly, they are their own people now, with their own fate, separate from that of Aethrennar's.
<Sagax> It is a difficult issue, to be sure.
* Sagax seems a little uncomfortable.
* Eren (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Induriel> Alas, they are led by the same traitor who violated his most solemn oaths, and rebelled against his rightful monarch. To oppose the side that Thantopolis was on.
<Eren> I'm sorry, I must be misunderstanding you.
* Induriel looks up
<Induriel> No doubt. Perhaps we should discuss the matter... some other time.
<Induriel> For now, we should let others add their own welcomes to the city.
<Induriel> Lord Sagax, Lord Marcus.
* Induriel nods, and steers Eren away from them!
* Eren will bristle a little bit, but allow you to steer him away.
* Induriel whispers to Eren once they are out of earshot
<Induriel> (w) Forgive me, my Lord.
<Induriel> (w) I assure you, I am profoundly offended at their insolence. But...
<Eren> Those...faithless, presumptuous...
<Induriel> (w) Causing an incident can only damage our chances, my Lord.
<Induriel> (w) I beg you to put your mind to more pleasant thoughts.
* Sagax (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Eren seethes.
* Induriel does his best to divert Eren's attention, and/or escorts him back home if necessary!
<Eren> I shall do my best to avoid them, for the Crown's sake, Ambassador, but I will not stay my tongue nor hand forever.
<Induriel> Thank you for your forebearance, my Lord.
<Induriel> Remember, if you manage to win Heri Mamitu's hand, all accounts can be addressed *then*.
* Eren sighs.
<Eren> I will occupy myself elsewhere for now.
<Induriel> Perhaps the gardens?
* Induriel steers him away to vent somewhere safe, then gradually coaxes his attention to something completely different.
* Induriel will STILL stick to him like glue, however! :/

Elegant Dinner Party pt. 6: Laris and Calkas


<Laris> (so what is it that I've noticed? they're talking/holding hands/doing something even Laris can't overlook, like smooching? ;)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Hmm. I would imagine mostly talking and holding hands, but let's say Laris sees them smooch at some point. :))
<Laris> (hee, okay)
* Laris is surprised but doesn't want to barge in or anything, so will wait until he has a chance to talk to Calkas
* Calkas presumably is away from Merula at some point. Getting refreshments, say.
<Laris> Ah... good evening.
* Laris is still getting used to this 'he's a guest, not your slave' thing, but is trying ;)
<Calkas> Good evening, Dominus. Are you enjoying your party?
<Calkas> Thank you again for the invitation. Familiar as I am, I feel somewhat out of place with this company.
<Laris> Everything seems to be going ... more or less well, yes. Perhaps a bit of tension in some quarters, but I hope nothing too serious.
<Calkas> To be expected, I suppose, given the guest list. They seem to be behaving themselves.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Are you ... ah... well. I see that you are enjoying yourself too >.>
* Laris says, feeling weird even bringing it up
<Calkas> I am at that.
* Calkas grins.
<Calkas> She's a rare woman, our Fata Merula.
<Calkas> Fate is too kind, she would say.
<Laris> is this a recent development? I admit I am surprised. but of course, happy for you.
<Calkas> Somewhat. We'd been friendly before, but, since the trip to Thantopolis...
* Calkas shrugs sheepishly.
<Laris> I suppose I was rather preoccupied during all of that... I wasn't aware.
<Calkas> Well, you had a lot on your mind, as you say.
<Calkas> You never actually answered my question, though.
<Laris> Ah.. about whether I'm enjoying the party?
<Calkas> Yes.
<Calkas> You said it was going well, but that's not the same thing.
<Calkas> This is near unprecedented for you. I wanted to make sure you're all right.
<Laris> Well, it isn't really my... preferred circumstances. But it's fine. I can get through anything for a few hours. And it's good to see everyone gathered together and ... I think... enjoying themselves.
<Laris> It's nice to have the place get used to its full extent.
* Calkas smiles.
<Calkas> I agree.
<Calkas> I know this place is a refuge, and it should be, but it's also nice to see it so full for once.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Are you and Merula... ah... well, it's really none of my business. But I hope that things will proceed well there.
<Calkas> I hope so, too.
<Calkas> And you can ask.
<Laris> How... serious are things?
<Calkas> There's only so much to tell so far, but...I'm happy, and she seems happy as well.
<Calkas> I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I'm pleased for you. For you both, really - she couldn't have chosen a better man.
* Eren (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Calkas smiles.
<Calkas> Nor could Dianthea. (quietly) And Rufus. And...
* Calkas winks.
* Laris looks embarrassed, but smiles.
* Calkas (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Calkas (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Calkas> It's okay to be happy, Laris.
<Laris> I don't deserve any of them. But somehow they don't seem to have noticed that :3
<Calkas> It's three against one. Maybe they're the ones seeing more clearly.
<Laris> Maybe.
<Laris> I'll try to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.
* Calkas sighs and smiles.
<Calkas> That's all any of us can do, I suppose.
* Laris nods
* Calkas pats Laris on the arm.
<Calkas> You're doing fine. No go try to enjoy your party.
<Calkas> I believe I have someone waiting on me.
<Calkas> (Now go, rather)
<Laris> All right. I should see how they're doing too.
* Laris says, having a glance around for wherever his partners have gotten to.
<Laris> Enjoy your evening... and thank you.
<Calkas> You as well, on both counts.

Elegant Dinner Party pt. 7: Laris and Korivan


* Laris will mingle his way over to Korivan at some point in the party
* Korivan is a pretty stationary object tbh
<Laris> Gaath Korivan - I hope you're enjoying the party?
* Korivan nods a bit absently, refocusing his attention
<Korivan> YOu are always....very generous, Lugal
<Korivan> It is good to see how you live @_@
<Laris> It is a bit different from your people's festivities, but I hope still pleasant enough.
* Laris says in the understatement of the year
<Korivan> It serves...a different purpose
<Laris> I wanted to thank you - and Hraal Kraaz of course - for your generous gift. They are marvellous horses, and will be well cared for.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> It is an occasion worth marking, yes? And you are a ...strong ally
<Laris> Thank you.
<Korivan> She will serve you well on the eastern front
* Laris nods
<Laris> I value your support and the trust we place in each other. I hope that it will continue for many years to come.
<Korivan> As do I.
<Laris> I know that with campaign season upon us, everything is very busy, but I hoped to talk with you, if we have the opportunity, about some of the matters we discussed previously. Concerning.. spirits of the dead.
<Korivan> ahhh... yes...
<Korivan> what of them?
<Laris> I know that your people have different traditions and understanding of how they deal with them than my people do. And I am sorely aware of my own limitations in this subject. I would like to learn more from you - if you are willing to talk with an outsider. I think that having an understanding from a different perspective might be beneficial.
<Korivan> There are some things.. I can share with you
<Korivan> Whether it will give you any answers....
* Korivan shrugs
<Laris> I accept that there are some answers I might never know. And perhaps that there are some where, if I did find answers, I will wish I hadn't. But I can't... simply forget about it.
<Korivan> YOur own priests... cannot help?
<Laris> They could. Perhaps even would, if I asked. But... the relationships I have with them are too close. My wife, and Fata Merula... I think they would be more concerned with my well-being, and so discourage me.
<Laris> Perhaps I'm wrong about that. And I don't rule out asking them for advice and guidance as well.
* Korivan raises his eyebrows
<Korivan> hmm
<Korivan> Come and see me later.... we can discuss this....further
<Laris> Very well. Thank you.
<Laris> Please enjoy yourself - I hope the festivities will be to your liking.
<Korivan> I am sure...I will.
* Laris will leave Korivan to it, then

Elegant Dinner Party pt. 8: Korivan and May


* Laris will mingle his way over to Korivan at some point in the party
* Korivan is a pretty stationary object tbh
<Laris> Gaath Korivan - I hope you're enjoying the party?
* Korivan nods a bit absently, refocusing his attention
<Korivan> YOu are always....very generous, Lugal
<Korivan> It is good to see how you live @_@
<Laris> It is a bit different from your people's festivities, but I hope still pleasant enough.
* Laris says in the understatement of the year
<Korivan> It serves...a different purpose
<Laris> I wanted to thank you - and Hraal Kraaz of course - for your generous gift. They are marvellous horses, and will be well cared for.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> It is an occasion worth marking, yes? And you are a ...strong ally
<Laris> Thank you.
<Korivan> She will serve you well on the eastern front
* Laris nods
<Laris> I value your support and the trust we place in each other. I hope that it will continue for many years to come.
<Korivan> As do I.
<Laris> I know that with campaign season upon us, everything is very busy, but I hoped to talk with you, if we have the opportunity, about some of the matters we discussed previously. Concerning.. spirits of the dead.
<Korivan> ahhh... yes...
<Korivan> what of them?
<Laris> I know that your people have different traditions and understanding of how they deal with them than my people do. And I am sorely aware of my own limitations in this subject. I would like to learn more from you - if you are willing to talk with an outsider. I think that having an understanding from a different perspective might be beneficial.
<Korivan> There are some things.. I can share with you
<Korivan> Whether it will give you any answers....
* Korivan shrugs
<Laris> I accept that there are some answers I might never know. And perhaps that there are some where, if I did find answers, I will wish I hadn't. But I can't... simply forget about it.
<Korivan> YOur own priests... cannot help?
<Laris> They could. Perhaps even would, if I asked. But... the relationships I have with them are too close. My wife, and Fata Merula... I think they would be more concerned with my well-being, and so discourage me.
<Laris> Perhaps I'm wrong about that. And I don't rule out asking them for advice and guidance as well.
* Korivan raises his eyebrows
<Korivan> hmm
<Korivan> Come and see me later.... we can discuss this....further
<Laris> Very well. Thank you.
<Laris> Please enjoy yourself - I hope the festivities will be to your liking.
<Korivan> I am sure...I will.
* Laris will leave Korivan to it, then
* May will bounce around between suitors for a while and then head over to Korivan for a bit of a break.
* May ...out on the balcony :V
* Korivan has stepped out to get away form the crowd noise for a bit, watching out at the horizng, and doesn't notice you at first
<Korivan> (horizon, sheesh fingers)
* May smiles.
<May> You seem even more brooding than normal.
<Korivan> hmm?
<Korivan> Ahh, May...
<May> Needed a break too?
* May will come lean on the railing beside you.
<Korivan> Everything is so bare.... it's loud.
* May nods.
<May> You get used to it.
* Korivan shrugs
<Korivan> I don't expect... I will need to
<May> I don't expect you would want to...
* Korivan looks at you at that
* May sighs.
<Korivan> Mmm.
<Korivan> Are you... getting used to it?
* Korivan glances back at the room full of men who theoreticaly want to marry you ;p
<May> I don't know. Sometimes I think so. Other times I'm not so sure.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> you did well...at the council
<May> Thank you. I've been reading up. Studying tactics and strategy and politics in addition to rituals. I'm trying to keep the good of the city in mind.
<Korivan> you and your books...
* Korivan smiles though
* May laughs.
<Korivan> YOu should see what it is like....for yourself
* May shrugs.
<May> Do you need to be struck by lightning to understand its power?
<Korivan> sometimes @_@
<May> Have fun with that.
<Korivan> mmm.
<May> I prefer to learn from others mistakes rather than make them again.
<Korivan> I was not telling you... to make mistakes
<Korivan> The symbols on you....pages, they may be written in blood... But you cant feel it on your skin.
* May rubs her hand over her dragon mark absently.
<May> Maybe.
<Korivan> you might like it
* Korivan says, tone more teasing again
* May grins at him.
<Korivan> What do you think...of this place?
<May> The city?
<Korivan> No....
* Korivan gestures at the villa and the surrounding gardens or whatever the balcony overlooks ;p
<May> (Oh duh ;P)
<Korivan> The city is yours...to make what yu will of
<May> It's nice. I imagine it must be nice to be able to get away from things out here.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> maybe...you need some place like it
<Korivan> more space...for your library
<May> Maybe. Right now I need to be in the city. there's too much to do. But maybe one day...
<Korivan> it's not so far
* Korivan shrugs.... but he's a nomad who travels all over the place so maybe his perspective is skewed ;p
<Korivan> Would you like to....explore?
* May looks around to see if anyone is paying attention to them.
<May> That could be fun.
* May grins.
<Korivan> I saw....some baths...

Solos

Elegant Dinner Party pt. 9: Korivan, the apprentices, and Sagax


* Korivan is looking for them to see how they are doing considering they dn't really know anyone else here and such
* Faasha and Halgalaz look a little skeptical as Sagax seems to be explaining some finer point of Turathi ritual.
<Halgalaz> That doesn't make any sense. Why would the blood of an enemy be pleasing to the gods for that? Wouldn't you want a willing sacrifice?
<Sagax> I feel like you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who will allow you to flay them.
<Faasha> Maybe you would.
<Korivan> Some might find it...an honour.
<Korivan> But...he speaks of different gods.
* Halgalaz nods towards Korivan.
<Halgalaz> Exactly!
* Korivan says, looming sorta unintentionally over this guy
<Sagax> I suppose some might, depending upon the circumstance.
<Sagax> Sagax Nykona.
* Sagax extends his hand in greeting.
<Korivan> Gaath Hrieffen Eryvet Korivan
* Korivan vaguely remembers what you are supposed to do with that, after a moment
<Sagax> Oh, the Hrieffen leader. Or one of them, I understand.
<Sagax> A pleasure to meet you.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Korivan> Gaath is the heart... of the people
<Sagax> The heart, eh?
<Sagax> And your counterpart?
<Sagax> The head? The fist? The...ahem.
* Sagax looks at Korivan innocently.
* Faasha frowns.
<Korivan> The Hraal... is the hand that wields.
* Halgalaz kind of shrugs and nods.
<Sagax> Interesting.
* Korivan says raising both eyebrows
<Sagax> And you two are...equals?
<Korivan> Yes. Though not in..all things.
<Sagax> Oh?
<Korivan> In some matters... one will have more weight.
* Faasha (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Halgalaz (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
<Sagax> How is that determined?
* Sagax *seems
* genuinely interested, but it's hard for Korivan to tell.
* Korivan shrugs. "Tradition."
<Korivan> The Hraal lead in battle
<Korivan> The gaath in... other matters
<Sagax> All other matters?
<Sagax> So the Hraal is just a warlord, a general?
* Korivan frowns at that
* Faasha (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Halgalaz (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Korivan> We are all warriors... to lead that... is a great honour
<Sagax> I didn't say it wasn't. I'm sorry if my tone was flippant.
<Sagax> War is...different among my people.
<Halgalaz> Your people are warriors. We've fought alongside them.
<Korivan> Mmm... if he means..Thantopolis, yes.
<Sagax> I meant Turathi.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> M...Siru May's people.
* Korivan tells Halgalaz
<Sagax> To come to direct physical blows is acceptable, if necessary, but considered a failure. Strength of will is more valued.
* Halgalaz nods, a little frustrated.
<Faasha> Will and might, it is the same, ultimately.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Sagax> I beg to differ. I wouldn't be able to defeat say, an ogre, in physical combat, but I could summon and bind something that could. My will would prove the mightier than its muscle.
<Faasha> Pff.
* Faasha waves her hand dismissively.
<Korivan> it would still...come down to might.
<Sagax> In a simplistic viewing, I suppose.
<Sagax> Would you consider it might if I, hmm, broke the ogre's mind? Burnt it will divine fire?
<Sagax> Both would be extensions of will, the same as a summoned ally.
<Korivan> Strenghth...is strenght.
<Sagax> Then why do your people have two leaders?
* Korivan shakes his head.
<Korivan> We value all strength. For different matters. But not one...above another.
* Halgalaz and Faasha both nod.
<Sagax> An...interesting viewpoint, particularly from a willworker.
<Sagax> You should speak to Caelius. He's likely to share your sentiment.
* Korivan shrugs
<Sagax> Alas, my cup is empty, and I find I'm thirsty. If you'll excuse me, Gaath, ladies.
* Sagax nods politely.
* Sagax will take his leave.
* Korivan nods as well
<Halgalaz> Hmph.
<Halgalaz> Imperials.
* Faasha rolls her eyes.
* Korivan glances at the apprenctices
<Korivan> mmm.
<Faasha> They have good food, though.
<Korivan> not...impressed?
<Halgalaz> With him? His aura is strong, but he's arrogant.
<Halgalaz> I'll be impressed if he does something impressive.
* Faasha nods.
<Faasha> Talk is talk.
<Korivan> (I'm just going to assume her assessment re: his aura is good ;p)
<Korivan> Yes...
<Halgalaz> (You would have gotten a sense of it when you shook hands. It's pretty strong, and more vibrant than, say, Temu. You'd wager he can cast in combat, at least somewhat.)
<Korivan> (cool)
<Korivan> And the rest?
* Korivan glances at the Villa where moe 'party' is going on
<Faasha> We talked to the red-haired one. He's very serious.
* Korivan nods
<Halgalaz> He was polite, and asked about us.
<Halgalaz> Stiff, but friendly.
<Halgalaz> He needs more wine.
<Faasha> Or something.
* Korivan grins
<Korivan> I should.... speak with the others.
* Korivan says without a huge amount of enthusiasm
<Faasha> Why?
<Korivan> They're here to make... an alliance
<Korivan> Whichever one succeeds....will have power here, with May.
<Faasha> I still don't get that.
<Halgalaz> They're her people. Why does fucking her bring power?
<Faasha> Yeah, that's dumb.
<Halgalaz> If I went and slept with, uh, Severina, I don't get to command her archers.
<Halgalaz> Right?
<Korivan> It's not about....the fucking
<Korivan> I don't think....that part is true. They just....pretend it is. And fuck who they want.
<Faasha> See? That makes no sense.
<Korivan> It doesn't matter... if it makes sense or not.
<Faasha> I guess.
* Faasha clearly thinks it's dumb and bad.
* Korivan is not really goign to argue that
<Korivan> Think of them as....champions
<Korivan> I just want to be sure.... noen of them will undermine...our alliance
<Halgalaz> You think they would?
<Korivan> They coudl... try.
<Korivan> Aethrennar cares only for...the city
<Faasha> And we care about Ga...Domina Mamitu?
<Halgalaz> She's been a good ally so far.
* Faasha shrugs.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> Who controls the city...matters.
<Korivan> Some of these people...could live...a very long time
<Korivan> Generations...on generations
<Halgalaz> Right.
* Halgalaz still seems somewhat in awe of that concept.
<Halgalaz> So we have to keep in mind for when we're ancestors.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Faasha> So what does that mean for us now?
<Korivan> I'd rather whoever she...chooses...not be someone...mm... terrible >.>
<Faasha> Which means what, exactly?
* Faasha narrows her eyes a little bit.
<Korivan> Someone who could...damage relationships. Abuse their power.
<Halgalaz> Oh, so not the pretty one from Aethrennar.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Halgalaz> The prettier one, I mean.
* Halgalaz corrects herself.
<Halgalaz> He's a tool.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Halgalaz> The other...he's nice, but soft.
<Faasha> Which isn't necessarily bad.
<Faasha> But not what Domina Lalu needs, I think.
* Faasha gives Korivan a pointed look.
* Korivan shrugs
<Korivan> She doens't have to get....everything she needs.... from her "mate"
<Halgalaz> Well, that's good, then.
<Korivan> Mmm.
<Korivan> But I'd like to have...some sense of them
* Faasha and Halgalaz both nod.
<Korivan> even if this whole thing is... stupid.
<Halgalaz> Better you than me.
<Faasha> Or me.
* Halgalaz and Faasha both laugh, dangerously close to giggles.
<Korivan> A Gaaths work requires many kinds of strenght :p
<Faasha> Bane lend you strength.
* Halgalaz Halgalaz laughs at that, then they both can't help themselves.
<Korivan> -_-
* Korivan waves them off and will maybe go find something to drink first :x

Elegant Dinner Party part 10: Sahhiru greets Dianthea and Laris


<Sahhiru> (Actually, come to think of it, this should probably right when he arrives)
<Laris> (okay)
* Sahhiru will let whoever else is with him go ahead on into the party after paying their respects.
<Sahhiru> Nine blessings upon your house.
<Laris> Thank you, and welcome.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Sahhiru> I have a few things for you, as I believe is customary in such situations.
<Laris> oh... that's very thoughtful.
<Dianthea> That wasn't necessary, Lord Sahhiru.
<Sahhiru> Nonetheless.
* Sahhiru turns to Dianthea and offers her a bound scroll.
* Dianthea looks at him quizzically and takes it.
* Laris is quite curious what it might be
<Sahhiru> My people are not given to creation for it's own sake, but, from time to time, art comes of our endeavors. This is an Aethrennari transcription of a play by one of my people.
<Dianthea> Oh my.
* Dianthea 's eyes get big.
<Dianthea> I'm not sure what to say.
<Dianthea> Thank you.
* Sahhiru nods graciously.
<Laris> Indeed, thank you - that's very generous.
<Sahhiru> You are most welcome.
* Sahhiru turns to Laris.
<Sahhiru> In a similar vein, my people do not make wine, per se, but we have our own forms of food and drink.
* Sahhiru offers Laris a small, oddly unassuming bottle.
* Laris takes it, turning it over in his hands to have a look.
<Sahhiru> I know it is the custom of your people to offer the products of their vines. Alas, I have none.
<Dianthea> That's similarly generous. Thank you.
<Laris> Yes - thank you. I'm very honoured.
<Sahhiru> It is best partaken of in significant moderation for those of...mortal constitution.
<Laris> I will be... restrained.
<Sahhiru> I've no doubt you will.
* Sahhiru looks slyly at Dianthea.
* Dianthea smiles but suppresses a full out laugh.
* Laris says, and then realizes what he said, and then looks mildly embarrassed but tries to not show it.
<Sahhiru> Many happy returns to the both of you.
<Laris> Thank you. Please, be welcome here - make yourself at home.
* Sahhiru will nod politely and move along.
<Dianthea> (after Sahhiru has moved inside)
<Dianthea> I don't dislike him, husband, but...
<Dianthea> Somehow this is both sweet and terrifying.
* Dianthea holds up the scroll.
<Laris> How do you mean?
<Dianthea> His 'people' aren't known for gifts.
<Laris> Do you think it carries some other significance?
<Dianthea> I'm not sure. I could be being silly.
<Laris> I don't think you're silly. If you're concerned, I would like to know about it.
<Dianthea> It's not a significant concern. Just a feeling.
* Dianthea sighs.
<Dianthea> It could be nothing more than my not knowing him well.
<Dianthea> It's not as though the Queen Beyond the Veil doesn't have her own darker exploits.
<Laris> I know that no doubt he has his secrets, and that it's likely there is much I don't know or understand about him. I can be... bad at reading people.
<Dianthea> Well, Rufus and I are here now. We'll help how we can.
<Laris> I don't want to cause you discomfort.
* Dianthea reaches over to take Laris's hand.
<Dianthea> You're not.
<Dianthea> It was a momentary thing. Maybe I should just make time to talk to him inside.
<Laris> All right. I hope that it will be a pleasant evening. ... I did also suggest, if there's an opportunity before the campaign season begins, that we might have a more private dinner with just the four of us. But if you don't wish for that, we can always plead a lack of time.
<Laris> I just imagine that at a party like this might not be the ideal situation to get to know someone better.
<Dianthea> No, no, that sounds like a fine idea.
<Dianthea> It will be all right, I promise.
* Laris squeezes her hand
* Dianthea smiles.
<Laris> Thank you. I appreciate you giving him a chance. And your honesty in sharing your feelings with me. I am not offended, I just want to reassure you - you can always tell me how you feel, and I won't think it's silly.
<Dianthea> I know, and likewise.
<Dianthea> I know we're still sorting things out, but I *am* happy to be here, with you.
<Laris> And I with you. It feels more comfortable to have guests here with you to help host. And I like knowing that after they've gone home, you'll still be here.
* Laris says with a slight smile.
<Dianthea> For quite some time yet, I would think.
* Dianthea smiles and pulls Laris down for a kiss.
* Laris returns the kiss.
<Laris> Shall I put these things away for safekeeping?
* Laris asks, of the gifts
<Dianthea> Sure. I can man the gates for the time being.
<Laris> Thank you.
* Laris will take the scroll and bottle to put away somewhere out of the way, but will take the chance to have a peek at the scroll while he does so.
<Sahhiru> (At a glance, it looks like a perfectly normal scroll. How much of it are your reading?)
<Laris> (well, what language is it in? it probably depends how readable it is for Laris, whether he'd do more than look at the first little bit)
<Sahhiru> (It's in Aethrennari Elduar, easy enough to suss out)
<Laris> (I guess he'll read the first little bit, then - he doesn't want to be gone from the party for too long, so not delving into it too deeply, but read as much as he can read in a few minutes?)
<Sahhiru> (It seems to be a story about the defenders of a border outpost, though it's non-specific as to where)
<Sahhiru> (Some of the stage directions seem a bit odd, like exit stage top)
<Laris> (heh)
<Laris> (okay, as long as it doesn't seem super crazy or disturbing from a brief look he'll just put it, along with the bottle, in his office, where HOPEFULLY no party guests will be getting up to any shenanigans)
<Laris> (*eyes Korivan*)