Diablotin 3 session 31

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 31 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: March 6, 2016
Diablotin date: End Fourth-month

Prologue

This session will be random conversations.

Dorien and Gen chat while keeping vigil over Jerard

<Dorien> Should we do this at the hospital?

<DiablotinNarrator> that would make sense, sure

<Dorien> I assume Gerard will be there for a while

<DiablotinNarrator> they are going to keep your father in for a few days at least

<Dorien> How is he doing?

<DiablotinNarrator> He's injured from your bomb, but also drained from the effects of the fungus on him over several days. Mentally he's sort of confused and his energy is low.

<DiablotinNarrator> They are keeping an eye on him, and there are reports you'll hear just from hospital staff talking that there are other people who've had similar symptoms and they will be very interested in how Dorien got the fungus off him without killing him.

  • Dorien begins researching a sleep bomb >.>
  • Dorien will start talking to the doctors about the fungicide he used and how to manufacture it

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, they'll be interested to hear about that

<Dorien> (Is Gen at the hospital as well?)

<Genevriel> (sorry, thought Tuck was still levelling

<Genevriel> (Gen could come to the hospital, I suppose? To reassure herself that Jerard isn't dead because of her negligence.:P)

<Dorien> (Cool)

<Dorien> (Dorien will hug you when you get there)

  • Genevriel hugs you back a little mechanically.

<Dorien> Are you okay?

<Genevriel> I'm so sorry, Dorien. I was watching everything carefully but then I started drinking again, and I forgot all about them...!

<Dorien> Hey, it's ok. Dad's going to be alright. At least you didn't blow him up like I did.

<Genevriel> You wouldn't have had to, if I'd been more responsible.

<Genevriel> How is he?

<Dorien> He's weak, but stable

<Dorien> Hopefully a few days and he'll be ok to leave

  • Genevriel is plainly worried about Jerard and heartbroken that she caused this whole fiasco.

<Dorien> What exactly happened? What were you using the fungus for?

<Genevriel> I was experimenting with fungicides and depriving the host plant of light and nutrients to slow its growth, to see if that would slow the fungal growth as well.

  • Dorien nods

<Genevriel> But... I burned everything as soon as I saw that Oncle had been infected. So if there were any promising results, I don't know about them.

<Dorien> It's ok. You couldn't have known this would happen.

<Genevriel> I should have been more careful.

<Genevriel> It was all for naught.

<Genevriel> How have you been, though?

<Genevriel> I don't see you very much anymore. I hope the new job suits you.

<Dorien> I've been... ok. I'm sorry I haven't been around much.

<Dorien> I've been meaning to come visit more.

  • Dorien looks kind of ashamed
  • Genevriel shrugs your shame off. She wouldn't want to visit her if she were you, so she can't hold it against you. ;)

<Genevriel> And Misery? Is she well?

<Dorien> She's good. She's got a real job too now. On a movie set.

<Genevriel> Is that the one that Mlle Romilly and M. ne Qani are involved with?

<Dorien> Yeah. Misery is working as Mme Severin's assistant. It's pretty amazing, really.

<Genevriel> I'm glad.

<Genevriel> (Are we in Jerard's room, or talking just outside of it?)

<Dorien> (I had assumed outside of it unless you wanted otherwise)

<Genevriel> (No, that's fine.)

  • Genevriel keeps glancing towards Jerard's door.

<Genevriel> Is it all right to visit him?

  • Dorien nods. "Yeah. I'm not sure if he's awake right now, though."

<Genevriel> That's all right. I just need to see him, really.

<Dorien> Of course.

  • Dorien will open the door carefully, in case Jerard is sleeping.
  • Sylvise is sitting beside her husband's bed, where he is resting.

<Dorien> <w> is it ok to come in?

  • Sylvise nods and beckons for you both to come in
  • Genevriel pads in quietly.
  • Dorien will go in and shut the door

<Sylvise> He's sleeping, but he seems to be doing all right...

  • Dorien nods.

<Dorien> How are you holding up?

  • Genevriel looks him over to reassure herself that he's doing all right.

<Sylvise> Me? Oh, I'm fine. A little tired but that's nothing.

  • Genevriel will quietly cast Diagnose Disease on Jerard to see if it's really all cleared up.
  • Dorien will put a hand on Sylvise's shoulder reassuringly.

<DiablotinNarrator> He's not affected by any diseases (including molds, slimes, etc.)

  • Genevriel sighs with relief.
  • Genevriel looks over Sylvise now with a healer's eye. Too much strain can be bad for one's health. :/

<Dorien> Have you slept lately, mother?

  • Sylvise thinks about that

<Sylvise> Not in the past two days.

  • Dorien sighs

<Genevriel> You need to sleep, Tante Sylvise, to keep up your strength.

<Dorien> Why don't you head home for a few hours. I'll stay here with father.

<Genevriel> I can help with that, too. If you like.

<Sylvise> I ... I suppose. He does seem to be doing better. I could go home for a couple of hours.

<Dorien> I'll have them call you a cab. Get some sleep.

<Sylvise> all right... thank you both

  • Sylvise will give each of you a hug before she leaves
  • Genevriel will hug her back carefully.
  • Dorien will take his mom to the nurse's station and call a taxi for her before returning to the room.
  • Genevriel sits quietly with Jerard.
  • Dorien will sit back down next to Gen.

<Dorien> So. You mentioned you had started drinking again. How long were you sober for?

  • Genevriel has to think about that for a bit.

<Genevriel> I started trying in First month. So... nearly three months.

<Dorien> Wow...

  • Dorien seems genuinely impressed.

<Genevriel> But I wasn't really sober. I mean, you have to take yourself off gradually.

  • Dorien nods.

<Dorien> Still. That's impressive.

<Genevriel> But near the end I was pretty well sober.

<Dorien> I'm... sorry I wasn't there. I should have been helping you.

<Genevriel> No, it's fine. Lathra's been helping me.

<Genevriel> I'm sure I have frustrated her a great deal.

<Genevriel> It's not easy for me, and it's worse for everyone around me, I think.

<Genevriel> And there's not really anything I can do about that, except keep apologizing, and keep trying.

<Dorien> I know it's not easy. I've seen people try to quit stuff before. Most don't make it a week or two. It's hard on everyone, but it's worth it.

<Genevriel> I hope it will be easier this time around, but I don't really know.

<Genevriel> Sometimes I just feel so overwhelmed and the easiest way to deal with that is to drink myself stupid.

<Dorien> How can I help that not happen?

<Genevriel> I honestly don't know.

<Genevriel> I'm not sure what might set me off. This time it was having to testify against Guydain Larache.

<Genevriel> That was hard.

<Dorien> I can imagine.

<Dorien> Well... maybe I can't. But I can sympathize.

  • Genevriel smiles slightly.

<Genevriel> Well, there isn't much more that can bring me down, after that, I hope?

<Genevriel> Except losing more people I love.

<Genevriel> So stay alive.

  • Dorien chuckles quietly

<Dorien> I plan to.

  • Dorien puts an arm around Gen's shoulder to hug her carefully.
  • Genevriel leans into the hug.

<Dorien> You know you can always call me. If you need me I'll come running.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> Same goes for you.

<Genevriel> I mean, if there's anything someone like me could help you with.

<Genevriel> So... what is this bomb you used...?

<Dorien> Ummmm....

<Dorien> Well...

<Dorien> The explosive kind?

<Dorien> With some homemade defoliants in it.

<Genevriel> Defoliants?

<Genevriel> Not fungicides?

<Genevriel> They must have had some fungicidal side effects.

  • Genevriel decides.

<Dorien> They're fairly broad spectrum. So far it's proven fairly effective.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I could maybe help you narrow down what actually kills the fungus, to make them more effective against the fungus alone. If you like.

<Dorien> That's not a bad idea. Maybe when we get out of here we can try a few experiments. It might help kep our mind off things, too.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> Do you have a safer lab than your mother's conservatory...?

<Dorien> I'd pretty much have to.

<Dorien> considering it's now charred.

  • Dorien grins

<Genevriel> :/

<Genevriel> It was reflexive. And terrifying.

  • Dorien stops grinning.

<Genevriel> Fire and I... are somewhat at odds.

<Dorien> Oh. Right. Sorry. It was just kind of a joke. Sorry.

<Dorien> :|

<Genevriel> No need to apologize.

<Genevriel> It's irrational; I'm fully aware of that.

<Dorien> It doesn't have to be.

<Genevriel> My fear of fire? No, probably not. I mean, I can remember a time when I wasn't terrified of it.

<Genevriel> But it's packaged up pretty tightly with multiple traumas. I am not up to trying to untangle all of that, just yet.

  • Dorien nods

<Genevriel> I may never be.

<Genevriel> One step at a time. Drinking first, because it hurts people around me, not just me.

  • Genevriel glances guiltily at Jerard.

<Dorien> So, ummm... I actually might have some ideas on that.

<Genevriel> You do?

<Dorien> For the last few months I've been working on a few things... off and on, in my spare time.

<Dorien> I don't want to get your hopes up too much. I'm not promising a miracle or anything... but they might be able to help with your pain.

  • Genevriel listens.

<Dorien> I have a few promising new formulae, but they're not tested. If you're willing... they might be able to keep it to a minimum so you can focus on other things.

<Genevriel> Good thing I can counter the effects of poison.

  • Genevriel smiles, teasing a little.
  • Dorien smiles nervously

<Dorien> Well, I'm not going to give you anything that I think might be poisonous.

<Dorien> But I can't make any promises either.

<Dorien> ...about the effectiveness. I can promise not to poison you.

  • Genevriel shrugs.

<Genevriel> It's worth a try, right?

<Dorien> I think so.

<Genevriel> What are the ingredients you're using?

<Dorien> <Insert alchemical babble>

<Dorien> :V

  • Genevriel is knowledgeable about herbs and will make some suggestions.

<Dorien> We can do some structured tests at first. Two week trials, maybe. See what happens.

<Genevriel> So, if you perfect a painkiller formula and get it patented, do I get a cut for being your test subject?

<Dorien> Heh, of course.

<Dorien> Though it's going to be a long time before that happens, even if it's successful.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> We can negotiate later. ;)

<Dorien> And that's assuming we're not buried in snow or faerie dust before then.

  • Dorien sighs.

<Dorien> I just hope it works.

<Dorien> I hate the idea of you being in pain all the time.

  • Genevriel shrugs.

<Genevriel> It becomes 'normal' after a while.

<Genevriel> You sort of adapt to it, you can work through it.

  • Dorien nods.

<Genevriel> But it tires you out, a lot.

<Dorien> Well, maybe I can help a little bit, at least.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Dorien> (Did you have anything else to talk about?)

<Genevriel> (I don't think so)

<Dorien> (Cool. I'm good, then :) )

<Genevriel> (thanks)

<Dorien> (Thank you!)

Denise tells Argent about the Cyst; Zola joins in on their conversation

<Denise> maybe catch you at work the night she gets back though?

<Argent> That would be the evening after last session?

<Denise> yeah

<Argent> just making sure im clear on timeline

<Argent> that will work...

  • Denise will slip over to an empty table when she can grab a few minutes and try and flag you down, then
  • Argent swings by, happy for the break, as he looks a little tired today.

<Argent> Hey! You made it back.

<Denise> yeah!

  • Denise looks a little roughed up still
  • Argent frowns

<Argent> Trouble?

<Denise> yeah... weird trouble, toward the end of the stay - everythin' else was real good.

<Argent> wierd trouble?

<Argent> You missed some interesting happenings here as well, still going on even.

<Denise> we were supposed to meet with some folks, an we got jumped afore they showed up

<Argent> whats the weird part, just sounds like normal occupational hazard?

<Denise> well, like, for one, I ain't even real sure what they were tryin' to do?

<Denise> but like

  • Argent nods letting Denise explain

<Denise> We took out the goons okay - this were me an' Enver, we were just checkin' thinkgs out afore the meetin' - an then the boss lady takes off

<Denise> so like, okay, she knew we were gonna kick her ass right, once the two of us were on her

<Denise> But she were talkin' all weird

<Denise> like "This one is comin' back, the cyst prepare the way"

<Denise> and like *then*

<Denise> when we had the real meetin'

<Argent> the "cyst"?

<Denise> we asked 'bout who these Cyst were 'cause like - are they a problem?

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> and the folks... shadar kai folks, said they were real bad nows

<Denise> like

<Denise> they can take over folks bodies and you woudln't even ever know @_@

<Argent> Yeah that is not good at all

<Denise> nuh uh

<Denise> they said ther were aliens?

<Denise> I ain't real sure what that means, but that sounds like your kinda job :p

<Argent> (have I heard of the cyst in my ocupation, assuming I didn't get the whole Xan info?)

<Argent> (I do have a poor K-planes)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you can roll that)

<Argent> !roll 1d20+4

  • Zola rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 18 ].

<Argent> (I get +6 to identify monsters if that helps)

<DiablotinNarrator> (You think you've heard the name mentioned before, but you don't know the details about it. Maybe Briony would know more?)

<Argent> I've heard of the Cyst before... I just can't recall much about it.

<Denise> well, they're up in Ariege, I guess. An I still don't know what they were after with us?

<Argent> I can create a ward against evil possession... it won't get rid of the possession, but it will free them while they are within it...that is if you suspect someone is.

<Denise> huh

<Denise> I dunno how we'd tell though!

<Argent> I might be able to see it in thier aura... I'm not sure though, I've never tried.

<Argent> Detect the evil presence

<Denise> huh

<Denise> you do yo even learn a thing like that - is it like magic?

  • Zola will wander over with a cherry bomb and a lit cigarette.

<Zola> Hey kids...

<Zola> How was your trip to Ariège?

<Denise> hey Mlle Zola!

  • Zola butts in

<Zola> :3

<Denise> It were mostly real good

<Argent> Hi Zola

  • Denise looks a little bruised up still
  • Zola gives them both a bit smile, though there's some leftover exhaustion in her eyes from yesterday.

<Zola> You get into a tussle?

<Denise> uh huh

  • Argent looks a little worn out as well

<Denise> a weird one

<Zola> Faeries made it to the coast?

<Argent> no, somone claiming to be from the "cyst"

<Denise> no, somethin' called The Cyst that's maybe outta the shadow plane or somethin'?

<Zola> ... come again?

  • Zola blink blinks
  • Denise repeats the story she told Argent

<Zola> Well isn't that just lovely.

<Zola> This Cyst, I guess it's all tied up in what's going on here... or probably is...

<Denise> oh yeah?

<Zola> You know how the elves, shadar-kai and the fey are all kinda related?

<Denise> ....no?

<Denise> are they?

<Zola> Yeah.

<Zola> I guess there was another group that wandered off to whereever Princess Ilphere pulls her friends out of and became so warped they can't come back... unless they possess someone.

<Denise> o_O

  • Zola tries to explain all of what Xandhil told her.

<Denise> they're like that thing?

<Denise> D:

<Zola> Hugo & I met up with Linthira too, and she said she doesn't think Amanita is herself, like maybe the Cyst is involved in the blight too. Maybe she's possessed?

<Zola> And the Irminsul, it might be like a gate to come back...

<Argent> Its possible

<Argent> Does that make it good that the army is trying to destroy it?

<Zola> Well... the Emperor's folk were all planning to bomb the thing to hell... but we got Tits to call her daddy and have him hold off on it.

<Zola> Linthira had some concerns about that...

<Zola> I mean, you'd expect that, right? But she said that what they did last time, at Seda Grove, would be dangerous...

<Denise> wait, they're gonna bomb the shade? D:

<Zola> Yeah, that's why it's been evacuated...

<Zola> Get this... when they drained off the power of the last Irminsul, that's when they created the Warforged... but this time, the tree's tainted... so the power would be tainted too...

<Zola> What in Gods' name would we get out of that? Blightforged?

<Denise> that don't sound like a real good plan...

<Zola> Or perfect hosts for the Cyst...

<Zola> Yeah, I don't know how it got out of the draft stage myself...

<Zola> Maybe the Cyst's terrified them out of their wits.

<Argent> or are playing both sides?

<Argent> thats a scary thought.

<Denise> huh

<Zola> Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there's people whispering in ears that aren't whispering the right things.

<Denise> :|

<Zola> (I forget if people said there were bloodforged at the site)

<Zola> And I guess the Irminsul will reform if it's destroyed, but it, and Linthira, will be weaker... and the Cyst might not stop... so maybe it'll just leave us all in a worse situation...

<Zola> I mean, as a world... we might just be moving the sewer pipe to someone else's yard but if it isn't turned off it's going to flood us all.

<Argent> have you heard of way to kill the blight, other than that blue goop?

<Denise> what blue goop?

<Argent> Oh, the soldiers were spraying a blue goop, I think Dorien was experimenting with a similar stuff, from a farm outside the city.

<Zola> Well, I guess Linthira thinks they can put a stop to it...

<Argent> Yeah, soldiers were spraying it and were backed up by a squad of half-warforged.

<Zola> Haft says there's something wrong with bloodforged... like maybe they'd make good Cyst hosts too.

<Argent> or their half crazy

<Argent> (they're)

<Denise> well, they're all assholes as far as I tell :p

<Denise> liek, real crazy Colour Guard types

<Zola> Well, they might not have been, once upon a time.

<Zola> It's something about the process, I guess?

<Argent> so what is Linthria's stop?

<Zola> She's gotta call a family meeting.

<Zola> Her, her sisters, including Amanita, and her frozen brother.

<Zola> You can see the catch there.

<Argent> yeah, a window of opportunity could be rapidly closing

<Zola> Well, she's not even sure she can ... fix Amanita.

<Denise> :/

<Denise> well... if we could get the...thing out of her for a bit....

  • Denise eyes Argent

<Zola> But unless the Emperor himself has Cyst for brains, he'll agree to meet with her and find out her side of things.

<Argent> ... its possible.

<Argent> How long is that going to take?

<Zola> Hopefully she's convinced him already...

<Argent> and then we will have to get Amanita.

<Denise> without no one gettin' infected

<Denise> like, with anythin'

  • Zola looks repulsed
  • Zola tries to think if there's anything else of note to bring up...

<Argent> we should go in the sewars after her.

<Zola> Uh, Linthira thinks the attacks from Eranthis' folk is just bad blood, not official policy.

<Argent> with the soldiers above in conflict, its a good opportunity

<Denise> who do you mean, 'we'?

  • Denise asks, honestly curious

<Zola> And Jonas took me back to his place :V

<Zola> But I didn't learn anything there that's particularly topical >_>

<Argent> Us, our little cabal, with whatever other help we can muster.

<Zola> That seems a little insufficient...

<Zola> Then again, maybe the Guard and the Church are all too busy with what's in the Shade already...

<Denise> :/

<Zola> Then again, Xandhil's brother didn't say anything about the Church...

<Argent> The guard and the church may be too in bed, eager to make more 'forged or something else with the energy they plan on stealing.

<Zola> He said... the Warlord, the military, the Chief Sorceror... the Emperor... and some other folks, but surely if it was the church he'd have known that... he made it sound like they were scientists.

<Denise> huh

<Denise> well...

<Denise> they are linked too though

<Denise> like

<Zola> Well once Linthira points out the glaringly obvious, that the tree is tainted, they'll surely discard THAT approach

<Denise> I herd some things, like its church folks who got the bloodforged made

<Denise> (heard)

  • Zola looks surprised at that

<Argent> those same folks would be quick to discredit anything Linthira says, because she's not human

<Zola> Well... I guess if the goal was to patch up the wounded it kinda makes sense...

<Denise> yeah I bet so

<Denise> I dunno Zola

<Zola> They didn't plan on them being assholes.

<Denise> I think the point were to get folks who could go tallk out folks who weren't human :p

<Denise> an maybe folks who were hurt that bad were pretty desperate for any kinda help

<Zola> I thought the Evictors were all drummed out :/

<Denise> like , nmaybe they didn't plan on 'em bein' asshioles, but they ain't real upset 'bout it, neither

<Denise> the who?

<Argent> The pro-humanist faction in the Church

<Zola> (You totally said evictors in session 18 :P)

<Denise> (did I? heh)

<Denise> Oh, yeah

<Denise> them

<Zola> Well... maybe the problem is the wrong people in the Church are involved... if that Reverend Mother who was at the meeting we went to is an Evictor, maybe we should tell someone else?

<Zola> Maybe my friend Valeen could get us a meeting with someone in the Order of Cat?

<Denise> >.>

<Argent> Worst possible choice

<Denise> no, I think that's be a bad choice

<Zola> What?

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> like

<Zola> Why?

<Denise> 'cause she might be the one, like.

<Argent> she's the one directing the blood-forged, you like to call them, or at least thats whats been hinted to us by others.

<Zola> ... what? Where'd you hear that?

  • Argent looks to Denise

<Denise> I know someone who got a chance to talk to thet guy who tried to take out Geff's man

<Zola> o_o

<Zola> Well... shit.

  • Zola pulls a drag off her cigarette.

<Denise> uhhuh

<Argent> The Reverend Mother from that meeting may be more ammenable, but meeting may take time.

<Zola> Well, surely we ought to tell SOMEONE?

  • Denise looks at Argent

<Zola> Well you'd think if she's been involved from the beginning she must be in with Reverend Mother Nydia?

<Argent> I said it might take time, not that its not going to be done.

<Zola> Maybe we should just ask Tits to tell her father.

<Zola> Well, depending on how her meeting went >_>

<Denise> i dunno, it'a all real above my head

<Denise> Just like... I cant figure on why they'd wanna jump me an 'enver.... like, what were that about?

<Denise> were they gonna get in our heads?

<Denise> we don't know shit :/

<Zola> Yeah, maybe they wanted a ride back to the city >_>

<Denise> I guess He knows about the tunnels, but like, why would they care 'bout that?

<Denise> :/

<Denise> Yeah an lik e- did they know who we were?

<Zola> (They were SK goons?)

<Argent> are they still looking for something?

<Denise> maybe they just hang out on the docks an pick off folks they think are alone?

<Denise> (yes, SK goons)

<Argent> or Ander was the real target?

<Denise> he weren't there!

<Zola> Maybe the Cyst has inroads in the Shadow Plane? So like, they are set up in Ariege but are still trying to get to Diablotin?

<Zola> In numbers

<Denise> unless hey were gonna use us to get to him D:

<Zola> Why would they want him?

<Denise> he knows lotsa stuff, lotsa folks...

<Denise> plus, like.. of I dunno

<Zola> Yeah but that's not exactly something that gets written in the papers "Ander, knower of folks"

<Denise> they'd have to already know all that stuff too D:

<Zola> So how they'd think to target him >_>

<Denise> yeah

<Argent> we dont know the motive, and really dont have enough information so all we are doing is guessing

<Zola> I just remembered... Hugo was talking about Reverend Mother Nydia just the other day...

<Zola> ... Raimond, with the tree in his head? His mother has been trying to interfere in his care.

<Zola> Hugo went to talk to her, and she was trying to suggest some people who might be able to cure him

<Zola> Reverend Mother Nydia was one... which seemed odd because of all the people checking in on him already... and some woman named ... Claar?

<Zola> ... that seems to suggest that at least the Chief Sorcerer doesn't work hand in hand with her >_>

<Zola> And whoever from the Church has been looking into his predicament...

<Zola> Otherwise she wouldn't have to try through his mother.

<Argent> Claar was at Seda Grove

<Argent> if its the same Suzetta Claar

<Argent> She was in charge of the operation.

<Zola> :o

  • Denise looks lost

<Zola> Yes, I think that's who Hugo said it was...

<Argent> great... so a faction in the Church, is in league with Claar, who was in charge of syphoning off the tree in Seta Grove, and is likely involved with whats going on out there right now.

<Argent> (Seda)

<Argent> (sigh)

<Argent> and it just happens to be a racist faction, with blood-forged working for them.

<Zola> And they may, or may not, be run by people possessed by gross extraplanar faeries

<Argent> what a mess

  • Denise looks concerned

<Zola> Maybe Jonas will let me build a little cabin next to his and I can just live there until this all blows over >_>

<Denise> it is real pretty down there

<Argent> I have to get to work.

<Denise> :/

  • Argent stands to go
  • Denise glances back over

<Denise> yeah, I gotta go check in too

<Zola> It really is, and he has a little hidey hole of his own with a nice house and everything :3

<Zola> Ciao, don't get mushbrained!

<Argent> thanks for keeping us informed Zola

<Argent> I can look at those bruises after work Denise

<Denise> oh, thanks :)

  • Zola remains seated, finishing off her vices :V

Hettie and Aubrienne discuss the mighty Harrow deck with Lyth du Champe

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie, the movie is running into some delays. A lot of the Shadar-kai actors and workers are either refusing to work, or having trouble getting there, due to the disruptions around the Shade. Korisse is able to shoot around it for now, but if the disruptions continue longer than another day or two it will start running into bigger problems.

<DiablotinNarrator> Denise is back from her trip although you've barely had a chance to see her. Nycki is very busy right now with work stuff that she can't talk about.

  • Hettienne grumps.
  • Denise did lieave you a beach picture though ;3

<DiablotinNarrator> With the disruptions to filming, let's say you and Aubrienne are leaving about the same time, so you can catch a ride with her in the hired car they have for the talent ;)

<Aubrienne> I still say this seems excessive, but Kori says it's how things are done.

<Hettienne> I ain't complaining.

<DiablotinNarrator> (where is Aubrienne staying atm, anyway?)

<Aubrienne> (We'd said Tit's place last time, though I'm assuming she's bouncing between there and her parents' place. Don't want to outstay the welcome :))

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay, cool)

<Aubrienne> (Now that I think about it, where is Jed staying?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (he might have been able to talk his way into a guest room at the palace ;)

<Aubrienne> (Hee)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - you drive along, and will eventually arrive at, let's say Tits' place if that's where Aubrienne is staying right now. There's a man standing outside on the step, looking around a bit. Aubrienne, you recognize him, but Hettie, you don't.

  • Lyth du Champe is the head of the Vjestaci, Aubrienne (the guy who looks like Brian Blessed in my mind ;)

<Aubrienne> (Ah, right)

<Hettienne> (a human I assume)

<Lyth> (yes - a hefty-sized older man)

<Aubrienne> Ah, M. du Champe, to what do I owe the pleasure?

<Hettienne> (should I know the name?)

<Aubrienne> (I imagine he'd be reasonably known among Rats, right?)

<Lyth> (Hettie would know the du Champes in general - they're highly known among Rats anyway)

  • Hettienne perks up her ears at the name.

<Lyth> Mlle. Romilly, I hoped I'd find you. It's been quite a challenge to track you down.

<Aubrienne> I believe we've all had a bit of upheaval of late. I apologize for the inconvenience.

<Lyth> It's about your recent... discovery.

<Aubrienne> Oh.

<Aubrienne> Not mine, actually.

  • Lyth says obliquely, not knowing your companion or whether she knows anything about all of this.
  • Hettienne narrows her eyes, slightly.

<Aubrienne> (in Rat) May I present Hettienne Murodea

<Aubrienne> <r> One of the, ah, procurers of the object in question

<Hettienne> <r> Charmed.

<Lyth> <R> Good afternoon

  • Hettienne looks him over. *sense motive*

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+12

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 15 ].

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+12

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 28 ].

<Hettienne> (28 it is... just to get a sense of what he's after here)

  • Lyth seems curious and quite tense, but is trying to act calm

<Lyth> <r> We... my associates and I... are very interested in examining the item in question.

<Hettienne> <r> Examinin' it how?

<Aubrienne> (I'm assuming this in is Rat from here out, if that's okay)

<Lyth> (yes, that's fine)

<Aubrienne> To what end, if I may ask?

<Lyth> To study it, determine whether it's really what it is claimed to be.

<Aubrienne> Is it possible to do so without, ah, activating it?

<Aubrienne> We were incredibly lucky in our examination.

<Hettienne> An' when you find out it is what we say, are you gonna try an' keep it?

<Lyth> Believe me, we don't have any wish to cause some of the more alarming effects to occur.

<Aubrienne> And, while it's somewhat spotty, my understanding of the artifact is that there are much more dangerous possible outcomes.

<Aubrienne> All right.

<Lyth> We would be extremely cautious in our examination.

  • Lyth turns to address Hettie's question

<Aubrienne> Hettie's question stands: What will you do if and when you determine its authenticity?

<Lyth> If it's found to be genuine, of course it would have to remain safe and secure, so that it couldn't be abused.

<Hettienne> With you.

<Lyth> Yes.

<Hettienne> Cause no sorceror never abused their power.

<Aubrienne> Hettie, this is what we discussed.

<Aubrienne> Or, at least, a possibility.

<Hettienne> Yeah, but we ain't said they could keep it. And we ain't talked to the channels yet.

<Lyth> Not myself alone - the Vjestaci would have checks in place to ensure its safety.

<Aubrienne> I think, M. du Champe, we would be more comfortable with some assurance that no one would have access to it.

<Lyth> I understand if you need time to consider the matter. We are of course very concerned about the issue, but we also don't wish to rush into any decisions.

<Hettienne> We gotta at least talk to my partners.

<Hettienne> those of us what found it.

  • Lyth nods

<Lyth> We would also be very interested to speak with them, and learn more about how it was discovered.

  • Aubrienne glances at Hettie

<Hettienne> I'll see what they say.

<Lyth> Thank you.

<Lyth> Even if it is 'only' a very old Harrow deck, it would have great historical value. A reward could be arranged for its recovery and our gratitude.

  • Aubrienne will give Hettie an encouraging smile.

<Lyth> But I'll give you a chance to discuss it with your companions, of course.

<Hettienne> Aright.

<Lyth> Good day, ladies.

<Hettienne> Nice meetin' you.

<Lyth> You as well.

<Aubrienne> And to you, M. du Champe. We appreciate your efforts in this matter.

  • Lyth nods and will depart be teleporting away because what good is being a high level sorc if you have to walk places like some commoner ;p

<Aubrienne> Well, that just seems unnecessary.

  • Aubrienne says, mostly out of jealousy that she can't do the same.

<Aubrienne> Okay, well, that seemed to go all right.

<DiablotinNarrator> (I think Hettie had to run away ;)

<Aubrienne> (Heh, yes, I just saw :p)

Hugo confers with Loick about fixing the city's fairy problem

  • Loick will meet with you at his office at the palace
  • Hugonel will dress nicely but not *too* flashily to go visit Loick.
  • Hugonel will also have cast Friendly Face on himself before going.
  • Hugonel will wear his 'classy sorcerer' scarf, for instance.
  • Loick seems tired and harried when you finally get in to see him

<Hugonel> Uncle. It's good to see you. I'm sorry it's been so long since I came by to talk.

<Loick> It's all right - I'm sure you're very busy, as are we all.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Hugonel> There are a few matters we really do need to discuss.

<Hugonel> I appreciate you making the time, but I think you'll find it worthwhile.

<Loick> Can I get you something to drink?

<Hugonel> Just water, thank you.

<Loick> well, that's good - the whiskey's empty.

  • Loick will get you some water.

<Hugonel> First things first, then: Drusilla Neherin. Has she spoken to you at all?

  • Hugonel sits and sips his water.

<Loick> I... don't believe so? The last time I ran into her was at a dinner party about six months ago. Why do you ask?

<Hugonel> She is concerned that her daughter-in-law is not taking appropriate care of Raimond. And she has enlisted Suzetta Claar to attempt to find alternate solutions to his condition. I thought you might want to know that.

  • Loick frowns slightly at that

<Loick> Well, I'll make a note of it, but you must know I'm somewhat preoccupied with more urgent matters right now - I can't promise I'll be able to look into it quickly.

<Hugonel> Yes, I understand. Of course, it's all related.

<Hugonel> But that's not the only thing - there's something more significant.

<Hugonel> As I alluded, when we spoke last, in mixed company, I have a connection to allow me to speak to Linthira. I suppose it does not take a great deductive mind to conclude this, but I should disclose that my contact is Eirini.

  • Loick nods, listening

<Hugonel> She and I have had a number of conversations over the past several weeks and I reached out to her to seek an audience with Linthira, which I was granted just a short while ago.

<Loick> How did that go?

<Hugonel> Well enough, insofar as I am not personally trying to weaken her or bring about chaotic consequences related to the Blight.

<Hugonel> But to say that she is concerned would be a deep understatement.

<Hugonel> What is the state of activity regarding the plan to ... repeat the events of Seda Grove?

  • Loick frowns

<Loick> I was, and remain, opposed to it, but apparently being Chief Sorcerer of the Empire doesn't mean anything.

<Hugonel> Who is most strongly in favour? The Emperor himself?

<Loick> The Emperor is in favour, although he too has doubts, but they have been overridden in this case due to the perceived immediate threat to the city and its inhabitants.

<Hugonel> Linthira emphasized to me that the risk of draining the Irminsul of its power are enormous. To create Warforged from that power would be ... catastrophic.

<Loick> In order for the Irminsul to be removed, its power needs to be diminished to the point where its resistances and defenses can be overcome. What happens to that power afterwards is ... as yet unclear to me.

<Hugonel> You understand, of course, that we are not just in a conflict with a single faction, but are stepping, half-blind, into a conflict about whose parties and interests we know almost nothing.

<Loick> Making Warforged is not the goal here, at least as far as I'm concerned - the goal is to safely remove the tree, which is nearly at the point where its portal will open, allowing passage of who knows what beings into the heart of the city.

<Hugonel> The Blight is such a threat ... Linthira believes that it has affected the mental state of her ... sister? ... Amanita, to the point where she herself can't heal her.

<Hugonel> I am coming to you today with a message from Linthira herself, Uncle, an invitation for you, or anyone else with any power here, to meet with her, so she might entreat you to work against this more vigorously.

<Loick> I would be willing to meet with her, certainly, although I don't think I need any entreaties.

<Hugonel> She is desperate, and her children are desperate, as are those of the other fae factions. Under such conditions, I shudder to think what the long-term consequences will be.

<Hugonel> I'm not saying we should trust her fully.

<Hugonel> Of course, she has her own interests, and those are not ours.

<Hugonel> Just that ... at the moment, our interests seem to coincide, insofar as the Irminsul itself is not a threat.

<Loick> It's a serious threat.

<Loick> As I just said, from what we are able to tell, its portal could open any day.

<Hugonel> I understand that.

<Hugonel> I just mean ... if it needs to be destroyed so that it can reopen somewhere else, it needs to be with her consultation.

<Hugonel> We can't be working at cross-purposes to her.

<Loick> I agree that having her aid in this matter could be considerable... but as you said, her motives may be suspect.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Hugonel> I think that she is frightened enough that she is willing to speak close enough to truth to assist us, right now.

<Hugonel> And she doesn't understand our motivations - and I have to admit, neither do I, for the most part.

<Loick> Would she be willing to meet here, at the palace?

<Hugonel> I don't know. I can ask.

<Loick> it would be easier to gather the relevant parties, and there would be a great many safeguards in place that would help to ensure everyone's security

<Hugonel> I want to be more involved, Uncle. I think ... I won't say I deserve it, because I know I haven't always been the most mature, but ... I'm asking for more responsibility here.

  • Loick smiles at that

<Loick> Well, I've only waited to hear you say that for, what, fifteen years now?

  • Hugonel smiles.

<Hugonel> I suppose having something to care about other than myself has helped put this in perspective.

<Hugonel> Also I'm so damn cold. I think that has cleared my mind.

  • Loick chuckles

<Hugonel> I've been practicing my skills, and I think I have something to give here, something that you admittedly haven't seen before.

  • Loick nods

<Loick> So you said you think this Amanita requires some sort of healing or other aid, to recover from the Blight?

<Hugonel> That's what Linthira said. That this affects her judgement and has led to the present trouble.

<Hugonel> The broader metaphysical and theological implications, I admit, still elude me. The relationship between fae and shadar-kai and all of that. I've been reading, though.

<Loick> If - and this is a big if - the Emperor can be convinced that there is another means of ensuring the city isn't at risk from the Irminsul, then it might be possible to change his mind. But it will need to happen quickly. I know he's delayed the attacks briefly, at a request from Princess-Imperial Titania, but that won't last long.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Hugonel> I'll get the meeting set up immediately. Is there anything else you need from me at present?

<Loick> Well, any more information that you can find out could help.

<Hugonel> I'll see what I can do. Of course if I learn anything, I'll share it with you.

<Loick> Very well.

<Loick> I'll speak with you again soon, I hope.

<Hugonel> Absolutely. As soon as I know anything, one way or another.

  • Loick nods

Argent asks Briony about the Cyst

  • Argent is loathe to bother Briony at home, but feels he has little choice with the current urgency of ongoing events.
  • Argent arrives early after work, and knocks(rings).
  • Briony will answer the door, looking a bit surprised to see you there. The sounds of a child playing can be heard in the background.

<Briony> Come in, what's up?

<Argent> Hi, I know the timing is not well, but I think I need to talk with you.

  • Argent steps in

<Briony> What's the matter?

  • Briony asks, closing the door behind you to keep out the cold.

<Argent> I've put some troubling pieces together on what is going on... can we sit and I can explain.

<Briony> Of course.

  • Briony brings you into her kitchen so we can sit down at the table

<Argent> Have you ever heard of the Cyst?

  • Briony frowns, looking worried

<Briony> I have... I don't know a lot about them, but I can tell you what I do know.

<Argent> ok

<Briony> Them? It? I don't know.

<Argent> let me know what you know and I'll try and fill in any gaps from what I've heard.

<Briony> Anyway... what I've heard about was from a Spokesman. He said that a long while ago - maybe twenty-five or thirty years back? - there was a woman who was possessed by something that said it was part of the Cyst, or came from the Cyst, or something like that.

  • Argent nods

<Briony> This being could only survive inside a host. Once it was driven out of her, it died, or was very weak at any rate. It was finding out that it was there at all that was the hard part.

<Briony> It seemed like it could observe things from within her, and take control of her actions when it wanted to.

<Argent> That fits what I've been told.

<Briony> What have you heard?

<Argent> Well... supposedly, the Cyst are related to the elves, fey, and shadar-ki, same origins, but they decided to head out into the far realms

<Argent> and were 'changed' out there so much that they cant exist here without possessing a being here

  • Briony nods

<Argent> they're likely involved in generating the blight and may have already possessed the fungus queen

<Briony> That seems bad.

<Argent> also my friend Denise, ran into an SK claiming to be from the Cyst in Ariege

<Argent> yeah really bad

<Briony> When I was told about it, it came with instructions that, if I ever encountered anything like that, or heard about anything that sounded like it, I was to bring it to Ser Danyel de Béziers.

<Briony> Well, bring the news - or I suppose the person, if it came to that.

<Argent> and to change gears... remember Servan?

<Briony> He hadn't slipped my mind, no. What about him?

<Argent> Friends of friends had a chance to question him... he said he was working for a reverend mother.

<Argent> the red priestess

<Briony> Working for her directly?

<Argent> apparently... like he was recieving orders on non-humans to target.

  • Briony seems a bit puzzled/concerned by that

<Briony> Does he mean Reverend Mother Nydia?

<Argent> which confused me too, until I learned that Rev Mother Nydia is also assoicated with Suzetta Claar.

<Argent> who was in charge of the operation in Seda Grove

<Argent> and there is also a squad of those half-warforged, bloodforged, some people like to call them, that I witnessed battling the fey in the Shade.

  • Briony looks more worried

<Briony> We need to get in there and find out what's happening on the ground

<Argent> well I was there the night before, checking things out.

<Argent> hence, why I know about the bloodforged.

<Briony> Why does that not surprise me...

<Argent> and the blue goop theyre using to kill the blight, likely from that farm I mentioned

  • Briony nods

<Briony> I think I need to report what you've told me - about the cyst at least. I can leave out the parts about your running around in restricted areas.

<Argent> So, there may be away to try and end this without using Claar's energy draining technique... Linthira... who is one of the head fey, may be able to cleans the blight, with help of her family, which includes the Fungus Queen.

<Argent> who may be possessed by the cyst

<Briony> great.

<Argent> and her cold brother, who I forget whos it is, but I did manage to save the Cold Rider from being killed by soldiers, while I was in the restricted area, so there may still be diplomatic means to get him in line.

<Briony> ah... all right @_@

<Argent> and I think Linthira is trying to meet with the Empire's higher ups to push her resolution... not sure how well that will go...

<Briony> I'm going to take this information to Ser Danyel, because that's what I was told to do when it concerns the Cyst ages ago, before any of this started.

<Briony> I think that much is safe at least

  • Argent nods

<Briony> If they need to ask you questions, are you willing to tell them what you know?

<Argent> but I also think we need to press to try and nab the Fungus Queen now, while her forces are distracted with the activities in the shade

<Argent> Of course.

  • Briony nods

<Briony> You're planning to try and kidnap the Fungus Queen?

  • Briony double-checks she just heard that correctly

<Argent> I would like to try, but it may be beyond my capablities, I have to admit.

  • Briony thinks about it for a moment

<Briony> I could get you some equipment if that would help.

<Briony> And... I assume you wouldn't be trying this alone.

<Argent> If she is possessed, I was thinking a circle of protection, may... a big may, give her a chance to restore her own will, even if temporarily.

<Argent> No I would not go alone... as much help as I can get would be good

  • Argent smiles

<Briony> All right.

<Briony> How long until you try this?

<Argent> I soon as I can get things organized... probably should talk to Ser Danyel first... see if he has any advice.

<Briony> All right. I'll try to get in to see him today, if I can, and if I have any news I'll come by your workplace tonight to let you know.

<Argent> ok

<Argent> if we are successful, we'll need a place to bring her.

<Briony> Ser Danyel might be able to help with that too, I imagine.

  • Argent nods

<Argent> I guess I'll see you tonight

<Briony> all right, talk to you later

Argent begins assembling a crack squad

  • Zola lounges in the green room.
  • Argent will look to see who is about before the start of work, and try and nab as many of the crew as he can for a quick discussion.
  • Genevriel is just finishing up her supper in the green room.
  • Hugonel is sitting pensively going over scripts.
  • Aubrienne likely arrived whenever Tits did and is probably just futzing about backstage
  • Zola reads the gossip papers, sips a cherry bomb.
  • Argent will go up to each of them individually and ask if they can come have a chat, real quick, he has something important to ask.
  • Genevriel is surprised and shrugs her assent.

<Zola> Where's this?

<Argent> (just a quiet corner some where)

  • Zola nods and heads over to the quiet corner ... with her drink

<DiablotinNarrator> (you could hide out in the gambling room since it's before work and there won't be any players there yet ;)

<Argent> (sounds good)

  • Hugonel strolls over, script in hand.

<Zola> Hey hun, you got recruited too/

<Zola> ?

<Hugonel> For what?

<Aubrienne> So, what's the what, Argent?

<Argent> There is no easy way to broach this, but I'm looking for whatever help you all are willing to give.

<Zola> On the hook with a bookie? :)

<Aubrienne> With...?

<Argent> I want to go into the sewers in the Shade and capture the Fungus Queen.

<Zola> ... seriously?

<Genevriel> and do what with her?

<Argent> With all the fighting going on, its probably the best time to do it.

<Hugonel> Not to sound cowardly, but do we have any notion of whether we are even capable of that?

<Aubrienne> Capture her how?

<Zola> Yeah, that's ... a bit of a stretch, you don't think?

<Argent> And we need her if Linthria's plan is going to work.

<Argent> I've wrangled some help, and I need to hopefully meet with a fellow named Ser Danyel, who many be able to give us clue on dealing with the Cyst aspect.

<Genevriel> Cyst aspect?

<Hugonel> ... maybe you could elucidate a little further how exactly this is going to help, and what exactly you are proposing that we do?

<Zola> Also, what army are we bringing? o_o

<Aubrienne> Ser Danyel de Beziers?

<Argent> No army, were just trying to get in quick and quiet and get out.

  • Argent nods

<Zola> He related to the Reverend Mother?

<Argent> Possibly, I didn't ask.

  • Aubrienne shrugs

<Argent> You all have skills in magic, that would be invaluable.

<Aubrienne> I just had a friend who said he might be able to help with, well, everything that's going on.

<Aubrienne> Hadn't had a chance to follow up yet.

<Genevriel> I'm sorry; I'm confused. What is this 'Cyst' you speak of, and should we succeed in taking the Fungus Queen captive, what then?

<Aubrienne> We're performers, Argent.

<Zola> I think that's his wife... the Reverend Mother...

<Aubrienne> Not battle sorcerers.

<Zola> Oh, well, perhaps we ought to explain to Gen >_>

<Aubrienne> I guess I can help with the getting in quietly part...

<Genevriel> Please.

<Aubrienne> Oh, they're alien being related to the fey that can possess people in our world.

<Argent> that

  • Zola will recap what Xandhil said about the fey races, including the Cyst.

<Aubrienne> And the tainted Irminsul in the Shade may give them greater access to this plane.

<Zola> It seems likely they're using Amanita to spread the Blight, and that the Irminsul will open a gate to whatever outer plane they're from... maybe wherever PrincesS Ilphere pulls her terrors from D:

<Hugonel> I have been speaking to Linthira recently, and also to my uncle, to broker a meeting between the two

<Zola> Also there's something going on in Ariege, Denise said...

<Zola> We, honey. :3

<Aubrienne> Something Cyst- or fey-related?

<Hugonel> If we step in and take some action that isn't warranted, or that does harm, couldn't we make things much worse, Argent?

<Argent> I know this seems bold and risky, but we have a limited opportunity, and its worht a try, and things there cant get much worse, its open war right now.

<Zola> Linthira says that all four of them, E... ... the ice guy, Eirlys, Linthira and Amanita together can fix the blight.

<Aubrienne> I understand how cliche this question is, but worse how?

<Aubrienne> Yeah

<Aubrienne> Eranthis, sweetie.

<Zola> Well, maybe we could talk to Eirlys and Linthira to ask them how to do it without hurting Amanita?

<Zola> Right, Eranthis...

<Aubrienne> I don't think Argent wants to hurt Amanita.

<Zola> Well we might accidentally anyway, want or not.

<Aubrienne> Just, you know...kidnap her...a little.

<Hugonel> I understand that, but we don't have any real conception of her power or limitations. How can we 'capture' her without that knowledge?

<Argent> not if we can avoid it...

  • Zola nods at Hugo

<Zola> The two Fey Queens might be able to tell us though.

<Aubrienne> Yeah, they've been rivals for ages, right?

<Argent> If she is possessed, it possible if we can get her into a circle of protection, it may allow her to regain control of herself.

<Aubrienne> They must have some idea of her abilities and limitations.

<Argent> at least temporarily

<Zola> They might be more like rival-siblings?

<Aubrienne> Okay, that sounds feasible, Argent, but that doesn't stop her from trying to kill us under her own power.

<Aubrienne> I imagine she'd be happy to get out from under whatever control the Cyst is maintaining, but they fey aren't exactly reasonable.

<Argent> once under her own will, some of our more silver tongued colleages may be able to convince her otherwise.

<Hugonel> I'm not even sure we know what circle of protection we would need .. are we?

<Aubrienne> Well, we could do detect spells, if it comes to that.

<Aubrienne> Though that doesn't help us with preparation...

<Argent> Ser Danyel I'm hoping has some insight... my gut says evil, just a guess.

<Aubrienne> I could see about getting all the circles for my spellbook, and switching to whatever we need once we're there.

<Genevriel> I can manage one against evil, if that's the kind you need.

<Hugonel> I'm not sure that any of the various parties to all of this are evil. Just deranged, or misunderstood, or angry, in some combination.

<Aubrienne> Well, there'd still be some circle that would work, conceivably.

<Zola> Not necessarily?

<Argent> and if Aubrienne can prepare them.

<Genevriel> You don't need evil, Mlle. Romilly, if I'm with you.

<Aubrienne> Well, I don't actually have to prepare them ahead of time.

<Genevriel> Shouldn't it be possible to narrow down what type of protection we need by interviewing the other Faerie Queens and perhaps these people who have encountered the Cyst before?

<Aubrienne> But one less to worry about is good.

<Argent> We will

<Argent> I also have a few other people to ask.

<Aubrienne> Also, Argent's plan means we need something that affects the Cyst, not necessarily Amanita.

<Zola> Well, if they're descended from fey, perhaps cold iron still works?

  • Genevriel nods.

<Hugonel> I'll talk to my uncle about this. He'll be meeting with Linthira soon. And to be honest, I'm not going to go behind his back on this.

<Aubrienne> Maybe Princess Ilphere might have some insight?

<Genevriel> That is why interviewing someone who has dealt with the Cyst before seems like a sensible course of action before heading off into the precipitous unknown.

<Aubrienne> If the Cyst are from or went to the place her....'friends' are from.

  • Zola shudders

<Hugonel> Of course, the Princess might think this is all a great lark and want to come along.

<Aubrienne> What's our time frame, Argent?

<Aubrienne> It does seem like we don't have a lot of it.

<Zola> Hugo, dear, I think that conversation seems like it's more your speed than mine :)

<Argent> Soon, a day at the most to get ready, I'm hoping.

<Argent> but well take the time we need.

<Aubrienne> Then I think we'll need to divide and conquer this whole interview process.

<Zola> Goodness, we'll have to warn Christofel about the schedule...

<Argent> I agree

<Aubrienne> "Oh, yeah, Chris, you might be short a headliner, another act, the emcee..."

<Aubrienne> Toodles.

<Argent> Who is talking to whom?

<Genevriel> The Shade is still in a state, isn't it? Perhaps the performers from...

  • Genevriel snaps her fingers, trying to remember the name of that club.

<Aubrienne> The Penumbra.

<Zola> That's not a bad idea, for his sake, at least!

<Genevriel> Yes, them. Perhaps they'd be interested in filling in for you.

<Hugonel> I'll notify Loick ... I'll ask Loick about this.

<Aubrienne> I'll talk to Tits and get Jed to talk to his mother.

<Aubrienne> That's a good idea, Gen.

<Zola> And the Princess? And Linthira?

<Zola> I could speak with Linthira if Eirini'd trust me, I suppose... and perhaps Jonas might know something of use...

<Aubrienne> I'll need to talk to a friend about the circles...and I think I can talk to Sir de Beziers, unless you want to do that, Argent.

<Argent> We should both if it works out.

<Aubrienne> All right.

  • Zola keeps volunteering Hugo to talk to Ilphere until it sticks

<Hugonel> I'll talk to Eirini as well, Zola, that's fine.

<Hugonel> (nooooooo)

<Aubrienne> I don't mind talking to the Princess, Hugo, if you're not a fan. ;)

<Zola> Well, I suppose Aubrienne should talk to Eirlys too, after all the talking they've done?

<Zola> That doens't leave me with much to do >_>

<Zola> I suppose I could go with someone?

<Aubrienne> I think you're welcome in pretty much any of these meetings, Zola.

<Aubrienne> And, like you said, Jonas might know something.

<Zola> I think I'll sit out the meeting with the Princess, in case she eats something from another plane and I make a face and she gets angry and it all goes wrong from there.

  • Aubrienne smiles at that

Solos

Denise tells Elcina about the Ariege branch

  • Denise will visit her mom the morning after she gets back

<Denise> (so gets back, is at the club that night to talk to Argent, then goes to see her mom)

  • Elcina is up and listening to a new radio when you get there

<Denise> hey mam :3

<Denise> that a new radio?

<Elcina> oh, hello sweetheart :)

  • Denise asks her after she hugs

<Elcina> yes, it's so much less scratchy than the old one.

<Denise> did da get it?

  • Elcina nods

<Elcina> As an anniversary gift for me :3

<Denise> aww, that's real nice

<Denise> I forgot :/

<Elcina> oh, no, it's fine.

<Elcina> how was your trip?

<Denise> well, it was real good I think, mostly

  • Denise opts against telling her mom about the creepy aliens

<Denise> I got somethin' to show you :3

<Elcina> oh?

  • Denise will pull out the picture she got to put in the paper

<Elcina> oh, that's lovely :D

<Elcina> you both look so happy

<Denise> un huh...

<Denise> we were thinkin' about puttin' it in the new paper

<Denise> like a real engagement picture

  • Elcina smiles

<Elcina> That's a wonderful idea!

  • Denise smiles back

<Denise> an like, we maybe got a dog >.>

<Denise> well we did

<Elcina> a dog?

<Denise> we found 'er down at the docks in Ariege

<Denise> un huh

<Denise> she's real sweet an she's takin' to trainin' real well too

<Elcina> well, that's nice :3

<Denise> we can bring 'er by sometime so you can see 'er

<Elcina> I'd like that :)

  • Denise nods

<Denise> Mam, there's some things I found out about in Ariege that i dunnio what to do about

<Elcina> oh?

<Elcina> did you have any breakfast yet, honey?

<Denise> Like... lots of things @_@ but... some of it is family stuff

<Denise> uh, no...

<Elcina> well, there's still some porridge on the stove - have the rest of that, and a cup of tea, and tell me what's bothering you.

<Denise> okay

  • Denise will do that and get some tea for herself and her mother

<Elcina> thank you, sweetheart

  • Denise will wolf down some porridge >.>

<Denise> okay, so...

  • Elcina sips her tea

<Denise> YOu know how da's mam came from Ariege?

<Elcina> yes...

  • Elcina can sort of see where this is going

<Denise> Since I were goin' there, I got Aunt hettie to tell me her folks' names, so I could see if maybe I cold find out some more, 'cause we never knew much about her people, right?

<Denise> an, like - I found 'em!

<Elcina> you did? :o

<Denise> un huh!

<Denise> like, it were real easy, too

<Elcina> how?

<Denise> But I found out some things that I weren't expectin' an I don't know how folks are gonna take it

<Denise> Oh, we found some Rats down at the docks an they pointed me the right way ^-^

  • Elcina nods, listening

<Denise> but, so - okay.... I guess Gran Yvonne, like.... she were married afore she came here, but her husband got done in for debts to the wrong sorts

<Denise> an she came here so they wouldn't come after her, an that's why she never talked to her folks, 'cause she were scared, I guess

<Denise> an she wanted a new life, an such

<Elcina> oh dear :/

<Denise> an...

<Denise> she had a baby there, an she left her with her folks to bring up

<Elcina> ...

<Denise> yeah.

<Denise> Like, there ain't no question - she look just like aunt hettie, 'cept older an if she had her hair all blonde

<Elcina> you met her?

<Denise> un huh

<Denise> she runs her own inn :3

<Elcina> what's her name?

<Denise> Aina

<Elcina> oh :(

<Denise> what?

<Elcina> no, it's just... I just remembered something your grandmother said once, when I was pregnant with you.

<Elcina> she hoped so much you would be a girl

<Denise> :/

<Denise> what did she say?

<Elcina> She had this little peach coloured dress she stored away, and she got it out to give to me. It had been your aunt Hettie's, I thought, but then she told me that before that it had belonged to a little baby girl that she lost.

<Denise> oh...

<Elcina> she just said she'd always kept it to remember her by.

<Denise> :/

<Elcina> an' I asked her name, 'cause I thought maybe it'd mean somethin' to her if you got named after that baby, but she didn't wanna say, or talk about it no more after that

<Elcina> Aina's a pretty name, though

  • Denise nods

<Denise> I liked her

  • Elcina nods

<Denise> but like... I dunno what I oughtta say

<Denise> I ain't had time to see aunt hettie yet

<Denise> but I can't like... not say nothin'

<Denise> but I oughtta tell everyone, right?

<Denise> only I don't want folks...well, da.... to get upset

<Elcina> Well, I think they should be told. But it doesn't have to be you that tells 'em all, if you don't feel up to that.

<Elcina> I can talk to your father if you want.

<Denise> you think tha's be okay, if I just tell 'em piece by piece, like?

<Denise> If da wants to ask me bout it. I could talk to him more, I guess...

<Elcina> I think so. Well really I think if you tell one or two of them, it'll get around.

<Denise> maybe that would be okay

  • Denise nods

<Denise> I just don't want no one to get put out 'cause i didn't come tell 'em >.>

<Denise> I guess mostly the Murideas got more sense 'n that though >.>

<Elcina> your da might have questions, more than I can answer, so ... if you would talk to him, if he wants, that'd be good

<Denise> okay

<Denise> I can do that

<Denise> an i can talk to aunt hettie when I see 'er an we both got a bit of time.... there other stuff I gotta talk to 'er on anyway

  • Elcina nods

<Elcina> I don't know how your father will feel about it.

<Denise> I was kinda neat findin' all these other folks.... they were right kind, too, an had us over for a big family dinner to meet everyone ;3

<Denise> they were good folks

<Denise> They said they did get the letter ganpa sent, when she died, but not for a long while, and they couldn't make it all out

<Elcina> that's good... I mean, that they're good people. I think he'd like to know that.

  • Denise nods

<Elcina> he loved his mother very much... I don't know how he'll take this.

<Denise> Aina said she used to be real mad about it, when she were youngerm but nwo she has her own kids an stuff, and she's got an inn, an her granfolks took care of her real well

<Denise> I know

<Denise> She were real young though, right?

<Elcina> yes...

<Elcina> and I think if he can see it as her doing what she thought was right for her family... then he'll understand that.

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> like, she didn't think she could take care of 'er, an keep her safe, if she had to leave an take her with her

  • Elcina nods

<Elcina> going alone to a new city, with a baby, would have been very hard

<Denise> un huh

  • Denise agrees as if she would really know >.>

<Elcina> I think your da might be sad that he never knew about it - that she never told him.

<Denise> yeah...

<Elcina> but I don't think he'll be angry, or blame you or ... or Aina, or anything like that.

<Denise> no, I guess I just don't want him to get sore, 'bout things that happened in the past, like when she died, an all

<Elcina> oh, well... :/

<Elcina> sore with your Aunt Hettie you mean?

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> well, more than usual >.>

<Elcina> :/

<Denise> maybe there ain't nothin' to do about it

<Denise> maybe it'll be better to tell 'em separate

<Elcina> If they feel like they need to talk about it, they're adults

  • Elcina points out

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> yeah...

<Denise> I guess it ai't up to me to sort that, anyway

<Denise> or anyone but them

<Denise> thanks mam

  • Elcina pats your hand

<Elcina> are you all right?

<Denise> Oh, yeah!

<Denise> I'm okay

<Denise> There's just a lot of things goin' on I guess

<Denise> :/

  • Elcina holds your hand

<Denise> (At least Argent healed me after work so I didn't have to go visit still looking beat up ;)

<Elcina> You can always talk to me about it, you know, sweetheart, if things are bothering you

<Denise> I know know, mam...

<Denise> There's just lotsa things in the world right now that ain't right, an are real scary, that's all

<Denise> It ain't the sorts of things talkin' can fix

  • Elcina nods even though she really isn't sure what you mean

<Denise> like - they'[re talkin' bout bombom' the shade, that sorta thing

<Denise> (bombin')

<Elcina> :(

<Elcina> They have to do these things to keep people safe, I suppose.

<Denise> I don't think they know at all what they're doin', or what's keepin' folkd safe >.>

<Denise> anyway :/

  • Denise squeezes your hand

<Denise> I love you mam

<Elcina> I love you too, sweetheart. I'm glad you're home safe.

<Elcina> do you think we could get a copy of that picture?

<Denise> me too @_@

<Denise> oh!

<Denise> uh, I dunno how it works - I can try an find out? At least we can get copis if it goes in the paper ;3

  • Elcina nods

<Elcina> we'll figure it out

  • Denise puts that on a list of things to ask Dorien about :V

<Elcina> do you two have a date picked yet? we could have a little announcement in the paper and everything :3

<Denise> naw... I was thinkin' maybe a year from when we first went out, or when he ased me out..... but only if enver remembers wher that were, 'cause i don't >.>

  • Elcina nods, smiling

<Elcina> that's a good idea - you should ask him :)

<Denise> else we can guess... it were sometime in eleventh month maybe?

  • Elcina nods

<Denise> I will

<Denise> an I'll lwet you know, when we pick, afore we put it in the paper ;3

<Denise> :3

<Elcina> all right :)

  • Elcina gives you a hug
  • Denise hugs back

<Elcina> (Aww)

Aubrienne asks Eirlys about Amanita

<Aubrienne> Just to be polite.

<Eirlys> I imagine San's house is a bit uhhh hectic right now @_@

<Aubrienne> Heh, yeah.

<Aubrienne> Will they let Eirlys out? Maybe a walk or something, so she's not shut in all the time?

<Eirlys> probably Arek can be there to show you in/provide adult supervision though, even if San and Dozilva are both being run ragged. Nobody needs Arek.

<Aubrienne> It doesn't seem like she's going anywhere.

<Eirlys> with San and Dozilva being both caught up in the stuff in the Shade

<Eirlys> hey, if you don't mind Arek strolling 10 feet behind or whatever, I suspect she could go out somewhere.

<Aubrienne> Heh, fair

<Aubrienne> Well, Aubrienne wouldn't want to be a hassle.

<Eirlys> they have a rooftop ... well, patio might be overexaggerating its grandeur

<Aubrienne> That works.

<Eirlys> but they have a rooftop place where you can sit and look out at the Down :)

<Aubrienne> They have a rooftop...well, they have a rooftop.

<Eirlys> basically yes :)

<Aubrienne> Okay, well, Aubrienne will apologize profusely for any inconvenience, particularly with everything going on.

  • Eirlys is hugely pregnant by this point, also

<Aubrienne> How are you feeling?

<Eirlys> I didn't think it would take this long. Does it always take this long with humans?

  • Eirlys says, putting her hand on her belly

<Aubrienne> (How long has it been again?)

<Eirlys> (ahh how long since she came here? or how long since she was knocked up?)

<Aubrienne> (The former. We don't entirely know the answer to the latter, do we?)

<Aubrienne> (It seemed like time ran weird over in the First World)

<Eirlys> (indeed. it's been a little over 2 months since she came here)

<Aubrienne> Well, it takes us some time. How long is usual for your people?

  • Eirlys sort of shrugs, and a few petals float away on the breeze

<Eirlys> Just... when it's time.

  • Aubrienne frowns at that.

<Aubrienne> I'm not sure what to tell you, then.

  • Eirlys sighs

<Aubrienne> Maybe it's different because of Jean-Faust?

<Eirlys> It's just so... timey here. Everything going along so same-ish.

<Aubrienne> ...I'm sure it takes some getting used to.

<Aubrienne> Though I wonder if there might be a way to ensure it being safe for you to return home.

  • Eirlys looks over at you, not too sure what you mean

<Eirlys> How?

<Aubrienne> Recently, we've been in contact with your...sister? Linthira.

<Aubrienne> My understanding is she has a plan to cleanse the Blight, but it requires a unified effort from the four of you.

<Eirlys> She does?

<Aubrienne> Again, this is my understanding.

<Aubrienne> Does that sound feasible, to you? Or possible, at least?

  • Eirlys considers

<Eirlys> Linthira is a strong healer... maybe she's found a way to cure it for good.

<Aubrienne> Would you be willing to assist her?

<Eirlys> Well, if it would cure the blight... it would help my child.

<Aubrienne> I should think so, yes.

<Eirlys> then yes... I'd try to help however I could.

<Aubrienne> Thank you.

<Aubrienne> I was also hoping you might be able to tell me more about your other siblings.

<Aubrienne> Most specifically Amanita.

  • Eirlys makes a little 'ew' face.

<Eirlys> What about her?

<Aubrienne> What can you tell me about her?

<Eirlys> well, she's ... the Lady of Fungus. Decay, and the growth that comes out of decay.

<Aubrienne> All right.

<Aubrienne> So, not quite inimical to your purview, but different?

  • Aubrienne worries she just said something really offensive.

<Eirlys> she's supposed to be. I don't know what she is now.

<Aubrienne> Has she ever used something like the Blight before?

<Aubrienne> Is this different from her usual...operations?

<Eirlys> She keeps to herself usually... not like this, spreading all over the place. So rude.

  • Aubrienne can't help but smile a bit at that.

<Aubrienne> Indeed.

<Aubrienne> So it's safe to say she's acting strangely for her?

<Eirlys> Yes

<Aubrienne> We think she may not be acting of her own volition.

<Aubrienne> In fact, I suppose we're counting on it.

  • Eirlys nods uncertainly

<Aubrienne> How...I don't know how to ask this. How powerful is she?

<Aubrienne> We want to help her, but, given she might be at least influenced, we need to know how dangerous she is.

<Eirlys> She can... could... command other fungus beings. They'll defend her.

<Aubrienne> That's to be expected, I would think.

<Eirlys> She'll try to cloud people's minds, or sway them to do her bidding.

<Aubrienne> All right, something to be on guard for.

<Aubrienne> Out of curiosity, I don't suppose you could describe her appearance for me, could you?

<Eirlys> From the waist up, she looks like a woman with sickly pale green skin.

<Aubrienne> And a mass of fungus from the waist down?

<Eirlys> Her lower half is just ... mounds of fungus stuff.

  • Eirlys nods
  • Aubrienne nods and sighs.

<Aubrienne> I had a hunch.

<Aubrienne> All right.

<Aubrienne> Is there anything else you think I should know?

<Aubrienne> We're going to do everything we can to stop the Blight.

<Eirlys> oh - she'll spread her spores all over everything, I imagine. If you can keep from breathing them or touching them it would be better for you, probably.

<Eirlys> And creatures that fall to her power might come back. because... life comes out of decay, and all of that, I suppose.

<Aubrienne> Thank you.

<Aubrienne> We'll do our best.

<Aubrienne> Is there...anything I can do for you? I know you're not exactly a fan of, well, basically our whole plane, it seems, but...

  • Aubrienne shrugs

<Eirlys> Oh... well. Some things here aren't so bad. I like the ... what is it called? Soda?

<Aubrienne> It's pretty nice, yeah. I'll remember to bring you some next time I'm here.

<Eirlys> thank you :)

<Aubrienne> No problem. Thanks again, and hopefully we can pull this off. I appreciate your help.

  • Aubrienne will give Eirlys a quick hug
  • Eirlys hugs you back.

Zola tells Haft about his possible origins

  • Zola will pop over near him at some point and tell him to come see her when he has a bit
  • Haft will come to your dressing room, then, at some point

<Zola> Hey big fella ;)

<Haft> Hello, Zola.

<Zola> Make yourself comfy for a bit, I've got a bit of a tale to tell.

  • Haft sits down, placing his hands on his knees.

<Zola> Do you know much about all the fey stuff that's going on right now? With the Shade and everything?

<Haft> Some of my kind who are in the guard or the army still have been called in to defend the city.

<Zola> Well, there's a quartet of faerie big-wigs in the area right now, I guess... one's behind the Blight, another's knocked up with Aubrienne's brother's kid, and another's behind the extra-long winter we've been having... and then the last one's Linthira, she's the one tied to the Irminsul, that big tree that was in Seda Grove and has grown back in the Shade...

  • Haft nods, listening

<Zola> We - Hugo and I - met her a few days ago.

<Zola> Do you know much about how you were all brought about?

<Haft> We were made by scientists and sorcerers. They built our bodies and put our life-force into them.

<Zola> Do you know where they got force?

  • Haft shakes his head

<Zola> Well, Linthira told us where she thinks it comes from, if she's not spinning a yarn... she says it came from the Irminsul in Seda Grove...

<Zola> I thought you might want to know that.

<Zola> Does it match up with things, time wise?

<Haft> It could.

<Zola> That's part of why a bunch of us've been running around these past few days too... trying to get them to slow down their plan in the Shade in case she's right... Linthira that is... she was worried they'd try that again here with the tainted power in the blighted Irminsul...

<Haft> To make more of us?

<Zola> Yeah... and with corrupted power too... that's what she was afraid of... well, on top of them destroying the Irminsul... which she really wouldn't like.

<Zola> You're a sweetie, but I'm not keen on meeting a blightforged.

<Haft> They would have to have the bodies prepared. It takes a long time to build one of us.

<Zola> I suppose, we never did think of that.

<Zola> Really, we ought to have...

<Zola> >_>

<Zola> I guess Linthira might not know how that all works though... so if there's no warehouse filled with bodies it might not be a sign of bad faith >_>

<Haft> Unless they have some way to store the life force before they put it into a body.

<Zola> There's some sort of machine there, I guess...

  • Zola shrugs

<Zola> Hopefully Hugo and Tits have got folks thinking about that sort of stuff.

  • Haft nods

<Zola> She also said it's like you're all her children, in a way... what with her tie to the Irminsul. I thought you should know that too. I don't know if that means anything more to her than that... or to you.

  • Haft considers that

<Haft> I have never had a mother. I don't know what it means either.

<Zola> Mothers are supposed to be loving, and caring, and nurturing, and all that noise... but it doesn't always work out that way.

<Haft> Do you think that is what she is?

<Zola> I'm not sure... she's not from around here, after all.

<Zola> Maybe she could be those things, in her own way?

<Haft> Geff is caring and nurturing to me. He is more my mother than someone I have never met.

<Zola> Hah!

<Zola> That's true... my aunt... she was like a mother to me...

<Zola> She helped me so much in learning about who I was...

<Zola> But you don't get to pick your mother.

<Haft> I am still learning about who I am. This can be another piece of me.

<Zola> It already is, if you think about it.

<Zola> Whether it's a big part or a good part, remains to be seen :)

  • Haft nods

<Haft> Thank you for telling me about this.

<Zola> You're welcome, honey. I figured you'd like to know, even if you didn't want to rush off and give her a hug :)

<Zola> If you decide you want to invite her to coffee or something sometime, you can let me or Hugo know... maybe we can get her mailing address :)

<Haft> Do the fey drink coffee?

  • Zola tries to remember if Jonas drinks coffee.

<Zola> (Do you have an opinion on that one :P)

<Haft> (I don't see why they couldn't... apparently Eirlys likes pop ;)

<Zola> I don't know if it's a common thing, but I'm sure she could try :P

<Zola> I can't remember if Jonas likes tea or coffee better...

<Haft> All right.

<Haft> I should go back to work.

<Zola> Yeah, probably.

  • Zola will get up to give him a hug and a peck on the cheek before he goes
  • Haft hugs back
  • Zola suppresses the urge to make a joke about Haft and Geff both being faeries

Argent and Aubrienne prepare for the expedition by visiting Ser Danyel

  • Argent will locate Danyel's office, hopefully Aubrienne will be waiting nearby.
  • Danyel will meet with you at the appointed time
  • Aubrienne would have been happy to give Argent a ride

<Danyel> (probably there's a secretary to show you in)

  • Argent would have accepted, saving his poor feet or a bus ride

<Aubrienne> (heh)

<Aubrienne> Well, here goes.

  • Argent nods
  • Danyel will rise from his desk to shake hands with you when you step inside. He is a handsome older man, around 60 or so, with grey hair and bright blue eyes.

<Argent> Pleasure to meet you, Ser.

<Danyel> Hello, and thank you for coming.

<Aubrienne> Thank you for seeing us, Ser.

<Danyel> Please have a seat.

  • Argent will sit once Aubrienne has chosen her chair
  • Aubrienne gives a small smile and sits.

<Danyel> So... tell me what you know about the Cyst.

<Aubrienne> Well, I'm given to understand that they share an origin with the fey, the shadar-kai, and the elves.

<Aubrienne> That they emigrated to a plane whose properties, over time, made them unable to exist physically on our plane.

<Aubrienne> And that they are now able to project their consciousnesses into our world to control or manipulate.

<Danyel> More or less, yes.

  • Aubrienne looks to Argent for confirmation/assistance.

<Argent> Thats the short of it at least

<Danyel> I admit that the finer points of their origin are not my area of expertise. My wife knows more about that side of things.

<Danyel> However, I share her concern with the influence they can exert on unsuspecting people.

<Aubrienne> As do we, specifically as it pertains to our current troubles.

<Argent> I was given to understand that you've had experience dealing with someone inhabited by one of these outsiders.

<Danyel> Yes. Twice we've had success in expelling them from a human subject.

<Argent> How was that accomplished?

<Argent> If you don't mind me asking.

<Danyel> The short version is that two things are needed: a way to force the creature to leave its human host, and a way to keep it from immediately retreating to another plane and disappearing.

<Aubrienne> Simple enough, at least conceptually.

<Danyel> We accomplished this using Dimensional Lock to prevent escape, and Banishment to force it out of the body it was inhabiting

<Danyel> But there could be other means of doing it.

<Aubrienne> Hmm. Those may not be quite within our means...

  • Argent nods

<Argent> Could a protection circle or spell temporarily suppress the Cyst control? Was that tried?

<Danyel> They are beings of evil, so a protection against evil could possibly affect them.

<Aubrienne> What are their goals, if I may ask?

<Danyel> I wish I knew. The ones we have encountered seemed to be scouts, as far as we were able to tell. Their victims recounted later that the being seemed to observe things through them, and sometimes would exert a greater control to make them take actions, which they could not recall.

<Argent> and there is no easy way to detect the possession, at least from what we've been told. Is that correct from your experience?

<Aubrienne> So more complete control hasn't been evident over long periods of time?

<Danyel> It's not easy to detect, no. As they hide inside a host, the host is what will be picked up by detection spells and the like, as far as I'm aware.

<Danyel> We... previously had an ally who was able to perceive them.

  • Danyel sounds rather sad at that

<Aubrienne> Is it necessary to contain or destroy them? You mentioned measures to keep them from escaping, and, while I'm loath to let such an entity escape, if our more immediate concern is freeing it's thrall, those measures aren't immediately necessary. Right?

<Aubrienne> Your ally can no longer detect them?

<Danyel> Yes.. although unless the creature is killed, I suppose there's always the chance that it could return at some point in the future and attempt to regain control.

  • Aubrienne says, hoping it's that rather than the obvious alternative.

<Danyel> Unfortunately, he was killed.

<Aubrienne> I'm sorry.

<Danyel> It was ... I was never completely comfortable with him, but I recognized his willingness to help.

<Aubrienne> We all do our best.

  • Aubrienne offers as comfortingly as possible.

<Danyel> I understand that people are afraid of demons and demon-kin, but... if he had no hope to overcome his nature, then what hope do any of us have?

  • Argent nods in agreement

<Aubrienne> With, ah, with ending the mental influence as the primary goal, we might be able to use a slightly different strategy.

  • Danyel nods

<Danyel> They *can* exist in our world, but they are physically very weak when not inhabiting a host.

<Aubrienne> Dismissal is significantly less difficult than Banishment, and a normal protection spell should prevent further intrusion.

<Argent> As you may already have been told, we suspect Aminata, the Fungus Queen, is under the influence of the Cyst, and together they are responsible for the Blight.

<Aubrienne> Do they have any other capabilities? Something need not be physically strong to present a threat.

<Danyel> They can wield magic - at least the second one we encountered was able to do so.

<Danyel> Honestly I killed the first one too quickly to be sure - Alma made me wait with the second one so we could get a better sense of its capabilities :p

<Aubrienne> Dangerous, but practical.

<Argent> Sorry, before moving on to more practical issues, is there more you wanted to ask Aubrienne?

<Danyel> If your theory is correct and you're able to force the being out of Amanita, what would your next step be?

<Aubrienne> I believe my curiosity is sated for now. We don't have much time, and I'm concerned more for everyone's safety for the moment.

<Argent> Your question was a good one, something I hadn't considered.

<Aubrienne> Well, it's just as dangerous, perhaps, but we hope to convince Amanita to work with the other fae royalty in ending the Blight. We believe she will recognize the threat it poses with the Cyst's involvement.

<Aubrienne> Apparently such cooperation isn't entirely unprecedented.

<Aubrienne> And, if she's an unwilling host, she may hold a grudge.

  • Danyel nods

<Argent> Where we are at, right now, is planning on how to get in to the grove and capture Amanita. My strategy is to get her within a magic circle of protection, to allow her to regain some of her control, so we can whisk her away to a more secure location, where the being inside her may be able to be better dealt with.

<Argent> You've confirmed the type that we need, which is a help.

<Danyel> that seems like a reasonable plan - if she's able to be freed from its effects, she might be better able to assist as well

  • Aubrienne nods.

<Argent> Assuming we are successful, is there a secure location we can bring her to?

<Danyel> well... I probably ought to ask my wife before volunteering our house, but... you could bring her to our house.

<Argent> If you are volunteering, you know you need to be ready in case the Cyst regains control before we can extract it... or if Amanita is not so keen to accept your hospitality before she can meet with her family.

<Danyel> To be quite honest, my wife has been preparing for this for thirty years.

  • Argent is surprised by the comment
  • Danyel says with a slight smile

<Aubrienne> Seems strange to say, but I'm sorry her preparations weren't in vain.

<Danyel> Well, this among other possible extraplanar complications.

<Aubrienne> Fortune favors the prepared, I suppose.

<Danyel> I hope so.

<Argent> Looks like we have a place to take her, and a potential means to wrest control away from the Cyst, if for the short term... just need to fill in the rest of the details and get to it.

<Danyel> is there anything further I can help you with?

<Argent> Just your discretion in the short term... we'll contact you when we plan to act, so you and your wife can be ready.

<Danyel> of course

<Argent> And honestly, any resources you can supply us from the Spokesmen's treasury that can help us would be good as well.

<Aubrienne> Or if you happen to have an army to spare...

<Danyel> Well, I do, in a way, although they're not really mine to command.

<Danyel> But I can certainly help with some equipment if that would be of use.

<Aubrienne> Oh, I was joking.

  • Aubrienne looks sheepish.

<Aubrienne> But equipment would be good.

<Aubrienne> Oh!

<Aubrienne> Eirlys mentioned something.

<Danyel> yes?

<Aubrienne> I don't suppose there would be a way to get a hold of some gas masks?

<Danyel> Oh, yes - that should be possible. How many would you need?

  • Aubrienne looks at Argent.

<Aubrienne> How many people do we have, now?

<Argent> I would get a dozen at least

<Danyel> All right, I'll see what we can do about that.

<Aubrienne> Thank you.

<Argent> I meant to talk to Dorien about that, but things have been busy.

  • Danyel will take you both personally down to the armory to get some things.

<Aubrienne> Dor probably would have come up with the same thing, but Eirlys happened to mention it when I spoke to her.

Denise and Hettie catch up

  • Denise will *finally* catch up with her aunt!

<Denise> Aunt Hettie!

  • Denise chirps on seeiong you, way too chipper

<Hettienne> Oh hey girlie!

<Hettienne> Was wonderin' when I'd see more of you than a basket o' rolls ;)

  • Denise grins

<Denise> Did you get that picture?

<Hettienne> Yeah, thanks!

<Hettienne> It's swell :3

<Denise> We did get one if us, too, for the paper..

<Denise> but man

<Denise> Like

<Denise> Aunt hettie there's so much stuff I gotta tell you about I don't even know where to start @_@

<Denise> I'm gonna make some coffee

<Denise> an' maybe put somethin' in it, 'cause you're maybe gonna need it

<Hettienne> Sounds ominous...

<Denise> some bits are :|

<Denise> but some of it ain't bad... just kinda a shoock

<Hettienne> Hrm.

  • Hettienne sits back in the kitchen chair, crossing her arms.

<Hettienne> Aright...

<Hettienne> You got my interest!

<Denise> so, like - there's personal family stuff, an then there's crazy shit gon' on in the world stuuf...

<Hettienne> Oh... You found Mam's people?

<Denise> yeah

  • Hettienne is interested but a little apprehensive.

<Hettienne> How'd that pan out?

<Denise> I think it went good - they're all real swell folks, the ones I met

<Denise> but there's things I gotta tell you

<Hettienne> Things?

<Hettienne> What kinda things?

<Denise> things about your mam, is what

<Hettienne> Spit it out

  • Denise pours that coffe and pulls out a bottle in case you decide you want it

<Denise> Okay

  • Hettienne eyes the bottle with a frown

<Denise> so like - she were married, an then widowed afore she came here

<Denise> like, real young I guess

<Hettienne> What?

<Hettienne> ...What?

<Denise> her first man - he'd got debts to the wrong kinda folks

  • Denise nods

<Hettienne> ... An they whacked him?

<Denise> yeah

<Hettienne> Damn...

<Denise> an she were afirad they were gonna come after her to settle up

<Hettienne> That why she left Ariege?

<Denise> puttin' her to work, say

<Denise> un huh

<Hettienne> :/

<Hettienne> No wonder we never saw 'em...

<Denise> an why she tried to keep away form her family, so's they couldn't trak her down

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> ...there's more though

  • Hettienne looks sad.

<Hettienne> MOre?

<Denise> :/

<Denise> un uh

<Denise> She ...had a baby, with her first man, and she left her behind for her folks to take care of

<Hettienne> Wh... huh?

  • Hettienne is reeling. O_o

<Denise> 'cause, like, she didn't know what was gonna happen here, I guess, comin' to a whole new big place, an being so scarewd...

<Denise> its... I know

<Denise> it were a big shock an she weren't even my mam

<Hettienne> WHat happened to th'babe?

<Denise> I had more time

<Denise> She did real well for herself

<Denise> Her name's Aina

<Denise> She looks just like you if you had on a blonde wig

<Hettienne> You met her..?

<Denise> un huh

<Hettienne> I got a sister...?

<Denise> She's got her own inn up there, the Sunset Sails

  • Hettienne 's mouth is kind of hanging open

<Denise> yeah :3

<Denise> she's real swell

<Hettienne> I... I dunno what t'say.

  • Hettienne blinks her watery eyes.

<Denise> You don't gotta say nothin' to me

<Hettienne> How come none of them ever contacted us?

<Hettienne> After she died...

<Denise> I asked 'bout that

<Denise> They did get the letter

<Hettienne> They never came to help us bury her...

<Denise> but like, it took a real long time, ;cause it dfidn't have no address or nothin' on it, an it weren't real clear who it was from

  • Hettienne is choking up a bit

<Denise> hey never told Aina...

  • Denise reaches over to offer her hand
  • Hettienne takes it and holds on real hard.

<Denise> :/

<Hettienne> You ain't told yer Da... have you?

<Denise> I talked to mam...

<Denise> she said she would tell 'im...

<Denise> he's gonna be real upset

<Hettienne> What?

  • Denise squeezes your hand

<Hettienne> I... I dunno if that was best

<Denise> no?

<Hettienne> It shoulda been one of us...

<Denise> oh...

<Denise> I dunno

<Hettienne> Thierry maybe

<Hettienne> well it's done

<Denise> i though... maybe he wouldn't wanna believe it

<Denise> mam's better at talkin to him than I am

<Hettienne> We're gonna need some kinda family meetin' or something ...

  • Denise nods

<Hettienne> I gotta go see Thierry.

<Denise> I was tryin' to figure if that would be best, or just tell folks an let it get around...

<Denise> :/

<Hettienne> Well even if it's around we gotta figure it out together

  • Denise nods

<Denise> ...

<Denise> what's to figure?

<Hettienne> She was our Mam, and Aina's our... sister

  • Denise nods

<Hettienne> Well I don't know!

<Hettienne> I just need to talk to my brothers.

<Hettienne> ;_;

<Denise> okay...

<Hettienne> I'm sorry girlie, I don't mean t'snap...

<Hettienne> it's just... it brings back a lot of shit, from when she passed... it's hard.

<Denise> no, it's okay I just.... I dind't figure how to tell folks at all :/

  • Hettienne is trying not to sob.
  • Denise nods and will give you a hug

<Hettienne> I miss her... ;_;

<Denise> I'm sorry :/

<Denise> but I knew it'd be important to tell you

<Denise> maybe someday you could go an meet her

<Hettienne> Yeah...

<Denise> or write her a letter or somethin'...

  • Hettienne nods, wiping her eyes.

<Hettienne> Ya wanna pass me that bottle...?

<Denise> I were gonna go an see if maybe she'd wann send somethin' for folks, but we had to skip town real quick >.>

  • Denise pases the bottle
  • Hettienne pours a generous glug into her cup.
  • Denise gives you a minute
  • Hettienne takes a few drinks to compose herself.
  • Denise sips her own coffee quietly
  • Hettienne clears her throat...

<Hettienne> So... what were t'other thing?

<Denise> well, gosh, that's evem more of a mess @_@

<Hettienne> HOw?!

<Denise> uhhh...

<Denise> so you know all that mess with them big tree in the shade, an the mushroom folks livin' under the area?

<Hettienne> Ugh, them fuckin' mushrooms.

<Denise> un huh

<Denise> well like.... I guess them trees are some kinda portal to some real creepy place

<Denise> an the things what likve there.... they're called the Cyst...

<Hettienne> Well, that's gross.

<Hettienne> Sounds like sorceror problems t'me.

<Denise> they can come here already, an live in folk's bodies an take over their minds an make 'em do stuff

<Hettienne> ... Like them rats?

<Hettienne> No wait, that were mushrooms.

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> but like, maybe them mushrooms is just clearin the minds ou of the way so as its easuer >.>

<Hettienne> Gods.

<Denise> so, like, there is this faerie who is suppsed to be the queen of the mushrooms, but now it looks like she's got oe of them aliens in her head

<Hettienne> THat is *definitely* sorceror problems.

<Hettienne> WAY above my pay grade.

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> yeah, excpt, like, the sorcerers who are the ones who are tryin' to take charge

<Denise> they're the same ones who fuck up the whole thing to start with

<Denise> *ANd* they're the same folks who made the bloodforged

<Hettienne> Oh fuck me.

<Denise> un huh

  • Hettienne holds her head in her hands. How come you know all this? And why're you tellin' *me*?

<Denise> like, that's who they got in there, in the shade now :p

<Denise> well, couple a reasons

<Denise> like

<Hettienne> I'm just a girl from the shambles. Sometime a burglar, sometime a seamstress. I ain't no... Interdimensional shit-fixer.

<Denise> first off, when I was in Ariege, Enver an I went out to chek out this meetin' place afore we were supposed to have a big meetin' with some Shadar-kai folks up there for some businessy things

  • Denise shrugs at that

<Denise> Well, I ain't really no one either, 'cept someone's gotta do it an a lot of times the folks who shoudl do things maybe don't or won't or can't an someone's gotta, right?

<Denise> I ain't gonna just sit around while some inter..dimensional...shit goes down when I could done somethin', I guess

<Denise> anyway

<Denise> so, we got jumped when we were there

<Denise> by this other shadar kai lady an some goons

<Denise> and she run off when we took them out

<Denise> but then she was all goin' on about the cyst

<Denise> like "this one shall return, the cyst prepares the way."

<Hettienne> So... I ain't followin'.,

<Denise> So like - I ain't now what it was about, 'cept then it feels less like someone else's problem >.>

<Denise> (know)

<Hettienne> I still don't really know why you're tellin' all this t'me.

<Hettienne> "Ceptin' if you wanna make me mpre worried about you?

<Denise> :/

<Denise> no.. well

<Hettienne> What am I gonna do? Sew someone one special mushroom' fightin gown?

<Denise> No, but you could come down in the sewers with us an catch that mushroom lady an see if we can't get that thing out of her head, an make her fix what's all goin' on

<Denise> like

<Denise> if we get rid of the mushrooms, we can get rid of the *cold* too

<Denise> 'case that's her to keep 'em from spreadin', I guess

<Hettienne> Oh well. If you want me to sneak underground and shoot some shit up, why didn't you just *say* so*?

<Denise> well... 'cause prolly you woulda looked at me funny >.>

<Hettienne> Heh.

<Denise> anyway, you're smarter than I am, I figured maybe you coudl make more sense of it -_-

<Hettienne> Well... who's "us", anyhow?

<Denise> its gonna be pretty soon

<Denise> Argen's puttin' it together I guess

  • Hettienne nods.

<Denise> plus all them other folks at the club, the ones who been in on stuff liek the mushroom farm an tryin to get that other faerie lady outta the tree in that guy's head

<Hettienne> That don't really tell me who...

<Hettienne> Not like... Zola, right?

  • Denise thinks as she lists names

<Denise> I think so?

<Hettienne> What. O_o

<Denise> me, enver, Argent... Aubrienne...

<Denise> Maybe Lathra?

<Hettienne> Honey I love Zola an' all. EVeryone does. But it's awful hard to picture her runin' around the sewers fightin' mushroom folk

<Denise> Dorien an Gen

<Denise> yeah...

  • Hettienne makes a face at Dorien's name

<Denise> I guess she's, liek, a trained bard, though

<Hettienne> Huh.

<Hettienne> Live an' learn.

<Hettienne> At least it ain't Hugo.

<Denise> uh, maybe? I dunno, somoen said his name but I don't think it werwe a for sure thing

<Denise> I guess he's like, a real sorcerer, so maybe it can be his problem :p

<Hettienne> He's a real *moron*.

  • Hettienne mutters

<Denise> they can stay in the back - we know whp'll be doin the real fightin' anyway >.>

<Hettienne> Probably hightail it as soon as his scarf gets dirty.

<Denise> heh

<Denise> he;s got magic *for his scarf*

<Denise> I seen that, when we got Aubrienne's brther back

<Hettienne> Oh my gods.

  • Hettienne rolls her eyes.

<Denise> anyway, them folk can deal with what we do if we catch her :p

<Hettienne> If he were anymore up his own ass he'd be comin' out his own face.

<Denise> heh

Denise talks to Ander about the Cyst

<Ander> (where/when do you want to talk to Ander?)

<Denise> (Well, it might even be the same night I talk to Argent? I don't think I would seek him out, I see him pretty regulary, anyway)

<Ander> (okay. I just wasn't sure if you wanted to try to get him alone, or talk to him at work, or what)

<Denise> (I don't know that she would worry about it to that exctent - Ralf was there when she told him about the Cyst stuff, and was there to interrogate that guy, so I don't think she would feel liek she needed to keep him out of it if he was around)

<Ander> (okay)

  • Ander probably has a lot of people who want to get his attention now that he's back, but you can catch a few minutes between conversations

<Denise> (man I hadn't even thought about that -_-)

<Denise> boss, 've you got some time I can talk to you, or many should I just wait until maybe later on the way home..?

<Ander> Seems like I got a bit of a break here, what's on your mind?

<Denise> oh man

<Denise> @_@

<Denise> Well, uh

<Denise> I guess it's that stuff form Ariege, that's a place to start

<Denise> the Cyst

  • Ander nods

<Denise> so, like

<Denise> I guess they ain't just in Ariege

<Ander> Well, I figure they're on the Shadow Plane at least

<Ander> you mean more'n that?

<Denise> well, they're all mixed up in whatever's goin on in the Shade

<Denise> an with them mushrooms down in the sewers

<Ander> they are?

<Denise> yeah

<Ander> how so?

<Denise> well

<Denise> okay

<Denise> so I ain't sure I get this all right

  • Denise warns

<Denise> but they're like related to the shadar kai an the elves an the fey, some way?

<Denise> an they're tryin to use them trees to make a portal to come back here from...wherever place they're at that makes 'em aliens

<Denise> but liek

<Denise> they can't just come here, so they gotta be inside people, like the lady said in Ariege

<Denise> but

  • Ander frowns, listening

<Ander> how're they comin' here already if they gotta go through a portal?

<Denise> the fey who is makin' all the mushrooms - she might hve one of 'em in her makin' her do all this stuff

<Denise> I...don't know

<Denise> Like

<Denise> maybe it's like scouts?

<Denise> like, a few can come, but they wanna *all* come back?

<Ander> okay...

<Denise> an there's more stuff to it too

<Denise> like

<Denise> it turns out, that stuff from Seda grove, where that place got burned down?

<Denise> There was one of these bog magic fey trees there, but there were some sorcerers who draine all the power away

<Denise> an used it to make the warforged?

<Denise> an they're the same folks who made those fuckers like Servam Aigel

<Denise> who, turns out, used to work for the church an maybe still does, goin' around pickin' off folks who ain't all human

<Denise> an its all this big mess

<Ander> o_O

<Denise> they got them bloodforged folks fightin' in the shade right now

<Ander> Pickin' off folks like these Cyst types?

<Denise> *an* they're talkin 'bout *bombin' the shade*!

<Ander> well, they can't do that

<Denise> They seem to think maybe the can

<Denise> to get rid of them treees

<Denise> or something

<Denise> drain' up the power in 'em to use it for something

<Ander> Maybe they don't mean with explosives... maybe they're thinkin' magic or somethin'.

<Denise> even though it's all messed up cause of the mushrooms

  • Ander says, semi hopeful that maybe they're not idiots

<Denise> even if they use magic, there's still folks who live there!

<Ander> yeah but with magic they could target it a lot better than with bombs @_@

<Denise> I don't know, I just know what I heard

  • Ander nods

<Ander> I know... I'm just sayin', there's a lot of crazy rumours flyin' around right now, an' maybe they ain't all true.

<Ander> It might be that some stuff got messed up.

  • Denise looks like she wants to be reassured, but is still uncertain

<Denise> sounds like all kinds a stuff is mesed up >.>

<Denise> Argent was in there

<Ander> Hey... I know you're worried. It's scary stuff.

  • Ander puts a hand on your shoulder

<Denise> :/

<Denise> well

<Ander> Do you know where your friend's at? The shadar-kai girl, what's her name, Mireva?

  • Denise shakes her head

<Ander> Maybe you'd feel a bit less worried if we can track her down an' know that she's okay.

<Denise> I don't know who she's stayin' with , and it ain't like I got a phone an she can call....

<Denise> prolly she don;t even know I'm back in town :/

<Denise> She'll be okay

<Ander> Well, lemme put one of our fellas on it. Swynny can have a look around for her.

<Denise> okay...

  • Ander will get Ralf to call over to the Cellar and do that ;)

<Ander> On the other stuff, I dunno what to say :/ I ain't real sure what all we can do 'bout it, anyway.

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> I'm gonna go with Argen an some folks an see if we can't catch the mushroom queen

<Denise> so that we can sort out if there's somethin' in her head or not

<Denise> an then get her to fix things with the other fey

<Denise> so there's no more bloght, an no more winter :p

<Ander> oh...

<Ander> Dee, be careful. You're messin' with stuff that you don't understand. Maybe no one understands.

<Denise> I know, but I can't just let it happen an not do somethin' right?

<Ander> :/

<Ander> Well, I know you wanna do what's for the best. I'm just worried.

<Ander> I dunno what I'd do if I lost you.

<Ander> Maybe I can get you some kinda ... somethin' to protect you.

<Denise> can you get, like, a gas mask?

<Ander> I dunno bout that, but we got a few odds an' ends stashed away. Maybe there's somethin' in there you could use, or your fella could.

<Ander> .. he's goin' too, right?

<Denise> un huh

<Ander> okay

  • Ander feels fractionally better about that ;p

<Denise> man I can't figure on goin into the sewers an not take him, that's just dumb :p

<Ander> when are you goin'?

<Denise> I dunno - soon

<Denise> I'll try an let you know when I fond out

<Ander> okay

<Ander> well, after we get off work here, we can swing by the Cellar

<Denise> but like, the idea is to go while shit's goin on in the shade 'cause there's so much fightin' there is shoudl be easier for us to get through

<Ander> maybe Swynny will have some news, but more'n that, maybe we can find you somethin' handy to take

<Denise> okay

<Denise> :3

  • Ander gives you a hug
  • Denise hugs back

<Denise> thanks boss