Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session 6

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session logs
Previous Session 6 Next


Summary

The battle vs. the Maazikai and their allies. The trap works as planned, and Korivan opens the fighting by impaling the rebel Hrieffen standard bearer at great distance. Laris brings Saḫḫiru close to the goblin front lines to disrupt their demon summoning, and then duels the Ankai Hraal, who seemed to be looking for an excuse to surrender. Back at Nēšu Abamātu , May and Induriel have more of a chance to catch up, and Induriel's entourage report their assessment of the city so far.

Session

Session date: 2018-02-25
In Game date: one day after previous session

Korivan opens the battle as Kraaz draws the enemy into the trap


<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, Korivan, you are waiting in valley with the Hrieffen troops that aren't part of the raid/bait, as well as the infantry from House Lalu and your other allies.
<Korivan> (keen)
<YOAW_Narrator> The sun is still rising, and you can feel the anticipation of your people, both the living and, perceptible at the edge of perception even for the non-awakened, the dead.
<YOAW_Narrator> You're focused on your own magic, but you also sense the arrival of many small spirits, feeling their cloaking magic as hot breeze, giving a sort of heat-shimmer effect across your troops.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Apparently May did her job :p)
<May> ( :D )
<Korivan> (wooh!)
<YOAW_Narrator> After what seems like an eternity, you hear the familiar sound of rushing hoofbeats in the distance, and you spot the Hrieffen troops entering the small valley in which your trap has been laid.
<Korivan> (@_@)
<YOAW_Narrator> Not far behind them, you see former Hrieffen riders flanking them, looking like they're trying to corral Kraaz and his troops into the valley. Maazikai archers fill in the line behind them, stopping occasionally to take shots at your 'fleeing' tribesmen, along with Ankai warriors keeping a good pace.
<YOAW_Narrator> Kraaz is at the center of your riders, leading them in a rough wedge, putting distance between them and their pursuers now that it looks like they've committed.
<YOAW_Narrator> They ride past your line, forming up behind your infantry, though Kraaz reins up next to you at the front.
<YOAW_Narrator> You're fairly certain that, to the Maazikai and their allies, your numbers look pitifully small.
* Kraaz (webchat@199.38.187.9) has joined #gnomeland
* Orak (webchat@199.38.187.9) has joined #gnomeland
* Eryvet (webchat@199.38.187.9) has joined #gnomeland
<Kraaz> Good to see you, Kor. Looks like everything's going according to plan?
<Korivan> Yes... Everything is in place. They have come.
* Kraaz says after taking a drink from his waterskin, then pouring some over himself.
<Orak>
<In your head> The trap is laid.
<Eryvet>
<In your head> The die is cast.
* @Korivan nods
<Korivan> We are ready
<Kraaz> Ancestors bless and guide us, then. Let's make them proud, and let Bane sort the dead!
* @Korivan nods
<Korivan> They are with us.
<YOAW_Narrator> The Maazikai host forms up opposite your lines. It looks like they plan to make a charge with the former Hrieffen and then rush in with infantry.
<YOAW_Narrator> As they begin their charge, you hear a voice.
<Orak> Throw your spear.
<YOAW_Narrator> (They are clearly out of your range)
* @Korivan will do that anyway because.... I'm sure he knows what he is doing more than I do @_@
<YOAW_Narrator> You feel strength not your own guiding the throw.
<YOAW_Narrator> (I'm sort of imagining everyone else sees Orak kind of superimposed on you as you throw.)
<YOAW_Narrator> The spear streaks out, faster and farther than any living warrior in the tribe could manage, striking the former Hrieffen warbanner bearer in the chest, carrying them off their horse and toppling the banner from their grasp.
<YOAW_Narrator> A warcry goes up from your troops, with more voices than living soldiers, thundering through the valley.
<YOAW_Narrator> The former Hrieffen charge falters a moment, then recovers, as they are too committed to turn back now.
<YOAW_Narrator> The last coherent thing you remember seeing is Valax at the head of the former Hrieffen, clearly bearing down at you, another spear already in your hand as you set to meet him.

May scries on the battle from the city


* May is watching the battle unfold from a scrying pool in the library with the other mages.
<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, we can do some stuff with that, as you'd be getting more of bird's eye view.
<YOAW_Narrator> You see Korivan's throw, and the former Hrieffen charge. They crash on your troops like a wave, but the line holds. There's some shifting in the line of the Maazikai, but they also commit, moving in behind their allies. As they close, your archers spring the rest of the trap, raining death down upon them from the surrounding heights.
* May cheers!
<YOAW_Narrator> You can sense the swell of magic as the Maazikai summon some sort of bull demon thing (you can roll Knowledge if you really want to know), which seems to shield their leaders from the arrow storm for a moment. You don't quite catch what happens, but you clearly see the moment their control slips and the demon turns on its summoners.
<May> Haaaa! Amateurs!!!
<YOAW_Narrator> You see the Ankai screen a retreat by the Maazikai leadership, one of their champions killing the demon even as they are crushed by it.
<YOAW_Narrator> Their nobility is rendered moot, as you see the Katalal cavalry, held in reserve for the most part, rush to their pursuit.
<YOAW_Narrator> The battle is fairly quick and bloody, over well before midday.

Laris brings Sahhiru close enough to interfere with the Maazikai's control of their summoned demon


<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, so Laris had established the basic strategy of the battle. I'm assuming he's more in the rear where he can direct things?
<Laris> Yeah, that would make sense to me
<YOAW_Narrator> I would think then you have a small contingent of your archers with you as guards, as well as Sahhiru and some runners for messages and whatnot. Probably also like drummers and/or flag waving folks. :)
<Laris> cool
<YOAW_Narrator> So, you'll see Korivan's crazy spear throw, the charge of the former Hrieffen, and your archers drop the veil and begin targeting the Maazikai lines.
<Laris> (heh)
<YOAW_Narrator> You'll get reports relayed from Severina at the front that they Maazikai are engaged in some sort of ritual casting.
* @Laris will order them to target casters if possible.
<YOAW_Narrator> Severina will take that initiative, but, with the former Hrieffen cavalry engaged, it would be a good time to deploy your cavalry reserve to counter-attack and charge the Maazikai.
<Sahhiru> I might be able to do something about their casting.
<Sahhiru> If you can get me close enough.
* @Laris glances over at him
<Laris> How close is close enough?
<Sahhiru> Closer than I'd like, but it's the one thing they can do to turn this battle. Better to end it here, no?
<Laris> (do I think it's feasible to get him closer? I mean how dangerous would it be, given the surroundings?)
<YOAW_Narrator> You archers hold the high ground flanking the main force of the battle. You could skirt along your own lines and lead a charge that would get him near to/in amongst the Maazikai.
<Laris> How long do you need once you get there?
* @Laris tries to work out how long he's going to need to cover him for.
<Sahhiru> Depends on what they're actually trying, but not too long.
<Laris> All right. I'll get you there.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Laris> (horses? ... one horse? idk what we should use for transport. or just run like hell?)
<YOAW_Narrator> Horses.
<YOAW_Narrator> I'd been assuming you were both already mounted.
<YOAW_Narrator> Side note, should Laris have an undead horse like Agy had? They never tire and they're a good status symbol. :)
<Laris> ooh, that'd be cool :)
<YOAW_Narrator> I imagine Sahhiru has some nice elven-bred horse from Aethrennar.
<Laris> *nod*
<YOAW_Narrator> So, you two can speed off (presumably with troops in tow) along the outskirts of the battle, flanking around for your charge.
* @Laris will be watching carefully for any signs of danger
<YOAW_Narrator> As you ride, you can see a corona of power gathering around Sahhiru, barely visible like a heat shimmer.
* Sahhiru seems to be heavily concentrating.
<YOAW_Narrator> You turn, heading downhill and across the plain towards the Maazikai, where they are hunkered behind their shields under your archers fire.
* @Laris tries not to get toooo distracted by that
<YOAW_Narrator> When you are halfway across the field, what looks like an explosion erupts behind the Maazikai lines, and demon with a mix of ape and bull features rises behind them, roaring a challenge at your forces.
<YOAW_Narrator> For his part, Sahhiru rides on.
<Laris> .... typical.
* Sahhiru seems to be chanting under his breath, but breaks it for a moment
<Sahhiru> I've got it
* @Laris nods
* Sahhiru slides of his horse just short of the Maazikai, your cavalry breaking around his position. As his feet touch the ground, black and purple flames burst forth from his form.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Sorry, I've just been informed Trixie needs to go out. I'll be right back. >.>)
* @Laris will circle him, then, keeping outside the flames but also trying to make sure he's covered
<Laris> (kk)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Back, sorry. Trixie took her time)
<Laris> (np)
<Lannie> (she's still a good girl :3)
<YOAW_Narrator> The Maazikai forces rush to meet yours, but you and Sahhiru are mostly behind the front line. You do still have to fend off a few goblins and bugbears that get close.
* Sahhiru seems focused on something you can't see, moving in an almost dance, his arms tracing a pattern in the air around him.
* @Laris murders anyone who gets close.
<YOAW_Narrator> You see the demon over your troops, getting dangerously close to your position, but then you see a purple-black flame, like the ones surrounding Sahhiru, flicker to life around its eyes.
<YOAW_Narrator> You watch as it turns on it's ostensible allies, picking up a flailing goblin and ending it's protestations with a savage chomp.
* @Laris smiles with grim satisfaction at that
<YOAW_Narrator> Only a few moments later, the Maazikai line falters and breaks, as you see their leadership scatter.
* Sahhiru will fall to his knees once the area is a little more cleared out.
* @Laris glances at Sahhiru, a bit concerned about him but also wanting to go after the fleeing leaders.
<YOAW_Narrator> The demon seems to have taken to chasing the fleeing prey.
<Sahhiru> I'm all right.
* @Laris will get down and check on him (assuming he's stopped being on fire >.>)
* Sahhiru is not currently on fire. :p
<Laris> so you say... I'll get you back to safety.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Though the air around him is hot)
<Sahhiru> I'll be fine. They're fleeing. Go finish this.
* Sahhiru will take help up, though, if you offer.
* @Laris probably put out a hand to check on him, yeah. maybe not intending it to be helping him up, but if that's what it turns into, he won't pull away.
<Laris> you did well.
* Sahhiru 's skin isn't uncomfortably hot, but it is significantly warm to the touch.
<Sahhiru> Thank you. I did...adequately. It's not my strong suit, but as needs must...
* Sahhiru falters a little.
* @Laris puts an arm around him to hold him steady
<Laris> here...
* @Laris will help him back to his horse.
<Sahhiru> Thanks.
<Sahhiru> Go on, finish this. Go get some glory.
* Sahhiru says with a tired smile.
<Laris> I don't need glory. But I do need to finish this. ... Please stay back for the rest of the fight. You've done more than enough.
<Sahhiru> I think I can find it within myself to stay out of the fighting.
* Sahhiru nods towards where you can see Severina advancing with her archers along the ridge.
* @Laris nods
<Sahhiru> I'll head there, shouldn't be a problem.
<Laris> Good. I'd be quite put out if you died.
* @Laris says with a faint smile.
* Sahhiru returns the smile and mounts his horse.
* @Laris helps him onto his horse
* @Laris will also send a couple of competent warriors with him to make sure he gets back safely.
<YOAW_Narrator> They can ride off to the safety of your lines.
* @Laris watches them to make sure they are safe, and will then gather up the troops for pursuit of the fleeing Maazikai.

Laris fights and accepts a surrender from the Hraal of the Ankai


<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, you can gather warriors and lead the pursuit of the fleeing Maazikai.
<YOAW_Narrator> Your archers will have moved to try to cut off their escape, and you find the Ankai, at least, gather their forces for a stand.
<Laris> (what kind of troops are the Ankai?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Bugbear raiders)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Infantry)
<Laris> (okay)
* @Laris feels pretty good about our cavalry's chances.
<YOAW_Narrator> Charging in, then?
<Laris> (yeah)
* @Laris will lead the charge
<YOAW_Narrator> You and your forces crash into the Ankai lines, you and the Hrieffen cavalry with you head on, some of the Katalal raptor cavalry leaping headlong into their formation.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Can I get you to roll a Fighting test?)
<Laris> (sure)
<Laris> (once I open my sheet :)
<Laris> (including my specialty in short blades?)
<YOAW_Narrator> Yeah, that would make sense.
<Laris> (okay)
<Laris> !rol 4d6
<Laris> (helps if I type it right...)
<YOAW_Narrator> And, don't forget, you have Destiny points, which will refresh after this. :)
<Laris> !roll 4d6
* @Lannie rolls for Laris: [ 4d6 ] getting [ 6 3 2 3 ] for a total of [ 14 ].
<Laris> (so 12 I guess?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (brb, need to make some oatmeal for my mom)
<Laris> (I have only 1 destiny left, I used 2 last time)
<YOAW_Narrator> (sorry)
<Laris> (so I guess I might as well use it now?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (ah, gotcha)
<Laris> !roll 1d6
* @Lannie rolls for Laris: [ 1d6 ] getting [ 3 ].
<Laris> (welp okay)
<Laris> (and, np, I'll go grab a quick snack as well)
<YOAW_Narrator> (back, sorry about that)
<Laris> (np)
<YOAW_Narrator> So, you ride in at the front of your troops, putting down several Ankai (wounded or dead, you're not sure which in the heat of battle).
<YOAW_Narrator> (Can I get you to roll me an Animal Handling or Agility test, your choice which?
<Laris> (they're the same, so...)
<Laris> !roll 2d6
* @Lannie rolls for Laris: [ 2d6 ] getting [ 6 3 ] for a total of [ 9 ].
<YOAW_Narrator> One of the Ankai charges into your horse, knocking it to the ground, but you manage to roll free with minimal damage, your sword (and I assume shield?) up and ready.
<Laris> (yeah, I wasn't sure if he fights with short sword + shield, or two short swords? probably sword + shield is more practical tho)
<YOAW_Narrator> The massive bugbear closes with you, wielding an equally gigantic metal-studded club.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Sword and shield seems more Roman, though two swords seems more Shadar-kai. :) Up to you.)
<Laris> (let's go with two swords - though I assume he can also use a shield if he needs to :)
* Sahhiru is now known as Bugbear_Warrior
<Bugbear_Warrior> Make this look good, Imperial.
* @Laris gives a curt nod.
* @Laris will let him charge if that makes him feel better about his imminent demise :p
* Bugbear_Warrior rushes you, raining down strikes that, while bone-shaking to deflect, seem to be held back somewhat.
* @Laris will let the fight go for ... a respectable amount of time. at least so it's not over embarassingly quickly :p
* @Laris will move to subdue him if he can, rather than killing him.
<Laris> surrender and tell your warriors to stand down.
* Bugbear_Warrior nods, breathing heavily.
<Bugbear_Warrior> Ankai!
* Bugbear_Warrior will kneel, laying her club before her.
* @Laris will accept their surrender
<Bugbear_Warrior>
<quietly> Thank you, Imperial.
* @Laris nods
<YOAW_Narrator> The rest of the Ankai follow their Hraal's lead, laying down arms, though some more reluctantly than others.
<Laris> You fought bravely. I will see that your people are treated with justice.
* Lannie is now known as Korivan
<Bugbear_Warrior> That would be a welcome change.
* @Laris nods

Korivan and Kraaz face down Valex


<YOAW_Narrator> Korivan, you come back to yourself (as much as you ever are) facing down a bleeding Valax alongside Kraaz.
<YOAW_Narrator> Kraaz (or you) waved the rest of your troops away.
* Eryvet is now known as Valax
<Valax> Imperial pets!
<Valax> Lickspittles! Mongrels, waiting for scraps!
<Valax> Go on then. Finish your work of killing the Hrieffen.
<Korivan> You are not Hrieffen. You are nothing. As dead as Bael Turath.
<Kraaz> (Check)
<Korivan> (?)
* Valax spits at your feet.
<Kraaz> (I'd forgotten which window was which for a second)
* Kraaz closes with Valax.
<YOAW_Narrator> Both are tired from the battle, but Kraaz is younger, stronger, and filled with a sense of righteous vengeance.
* @Korivan will let Kraaz have this - he's Hraal, after all
<Korivan> (I dunno maybe I can buff him up a little though? I'm still not sure exactly how battle magic works atm)
* Valax strikes first, faster than one would think a man as wounded as he could, but Kraaz is quicker.
<YOAW_Narrator> The two trade blows for a few moments, Kraaz deflecting Valax's, Valax taking several more wounds, though he manages not to cry out.
<YOAW_Narrator> Finally, a turn of his shield and a quick strike by Kraaz sends Valax's spear flying.
<YOAW_Narrator> He tries for a shield rush, but the young Hraal throws him back, dashing him to the ground.
<Kraaz> Kraaz stops, his spear at Valax's throat, and glances at Korivan.
* @Korivan nods
<Korivan> Finish it
* Kraaz nods.
* Kraaz pulls his spear back and thrusts it forward, ending the wayward Hrieffen and his threat to your people.
* @Korivan will spit on his corpse
<YOAW_Narrator> A cheer goes up from your people, "Kraaz! Hraal! Kraaz! Hraal!", but Kraaz looks at you, beginning to chant himself, a different cry, simply, "Hrieffen! Hrieffen! Hrieffen!"
* @Korivan can take up that chant!
<YOAW_Narrator> It will take a while to sort out prisoners and wounded and such, but your battle is over. Halgalaz will bring you want and probably some form of food.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Korivan's gonna need five minutes and a sandwich :p)
<Korivan> (Yeah, at least ;p He's probably pretty spent on a number of levels)

May and Induriel catch up some after observing the victory


<May> As the battle is winding down and the maazikai are being wiped up, May will turn to Induriel. with a grin.
<May> We did it!
* Induriel smiles very slightly
<Induriel> Yes, we did.
<May> Thanks for your help. I'm glad you were there.
<Induriel> You're welcome, Winyamo. I'm glad I was able to contribute.
<Induriel> It seems to have turned out very well indeed.
<Induriel> I hope this means the war is over.
<May> From the looks of it they Maazikai won't be recovering anytime soon.
<Induriel> So much for the external threat, then.
* Induriel puts a slight emphasis on 'external'
<May> Are you implying there's an internal one?
* May cocks her head slightly
<Induriel> Not implying so much as asking, Mamitu.
<May> Oh... I don't know, really. That's more Sahhiru's area.
<Induriel> Ah. I see.
<Induriel> And what of the former ruler? This Valerius Corvus?
<May> Laris? I get the impression he doesn't even want to be here sometimes.
<Induriel> Hmmm. That's either very good, or very bad.
<May> He's ok. A little overbearing, but I'm used to that.
<May> Why do you ask? Is there some reason I should be worried? Is that why the queen sent you all the way out here?
* Induriel shakes his head
<Induriel> No, Winyamo. This is simply me worrying for no particular reason. Forgive me.
* May laughs.
<May> You don't have to worry about me. There are plenty of peope doing that already
<May> But thanks
<Induriel> Please forget I said anything! The habit of questions is hard to break, I'm afraid.
* May smiles
<May> So what *DID
* her royal eladrinness send you out here for?
<Induriel> To establish solid relations with the new ruler of Nēšu Abamātu. Who now clearly will be ruler for a very long time.
<Induriel> As I shall be very happy to report.
* Induriel sighs
<May> What's wrong?
<Induriel> I'm don't like the idea of getting involved in all this... politics.
<May> Oh my god, you and me both...
<May> (gods)
<May> (>.>)
<Induriel> Ah. Forgive me, there I am being negative again! And today of all days - this is a day for celebration!
* May smiles
<Induriel> After all, the politics of the situation have just been greatly simplified.
<May> Oh, I'm sure the Hrieffen will have plenty of celebration waiting for us when they get back. They can really throw a party.
<May> You'll be there, right? I mean, you're part of the reason the spell worked. It's your victory too.
<Induriel> I should be delighted, of course!
<Induriel> Though I have to admit, having seen how they fight, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with the festivities!
<May> Oh come on, you're not *that
* old.
<Induriel> Well, thank you for that. :)
<May> Are your quarters ok? Did Sar-ili show you around the place?
<Induriel> The apartments are wonderful, thank you. I haven't seen the rest, though - there wasn't enough time.
<May> Yeah, I'm sure you and your party will want to rest. Sorry I pressed you into service so quickly. Time was kind of a limited commodity at the time.
<Induriel> Of course! There simply wasn't time.
<Induriel> Now we can take time to appreciate it properly.
* May smiles.
<May> Well, go get some rest. When you're ready I can show you around and hopefully Sahhiru and the rest will be back by tomorrow morning.
<Induriel> I hear and obey the unchallenged ruler of the city!
* Induriel bows deeply, then smiles
* May rolls her eyes but smiles.
<Induriel> Make sure you do the same, Mamitu!
<Induriel> It's been quite a day.
<May> Oh, I'm way too keyed up to sleep. I think I'll go read Thamulsius' History of Magical Theory until I pass out.
<Induriel> I can't object to that!
* May laughs
<May> Till later then, Istyar.
<Induriel> Until later, Winyamo.
* Induriel bows again, and takes his leave
* May will also congratulate the other mages for their efforts and help with the spell before retiring to the library.

Korivan talks to Kraaz about what they want to get out of this fight for the Hrieffen


* @Korivan will probably do a fair amount of delegating to the rest of the Booyaghi who are maybe less drained (sorting out and accounting for the dead and such, preparing for necessary rituals, etc), but will make time to seek out Kraaz
<YOAW_Narrator> Cool cools
<Korivan> (I'll giev it some time, as he probably also has things that demand his immediate attention)
<YOAW_Narrator> (It's just Booyahg, btw. It's a collective noun. :p)
<Korivan> (my bad, I don't know where I picked up the i ;p)
<YOAW_Narrator> You can find him with his wounds being seen to by one of the booyahg and some apprentices.
* Kraaz is munching on a chicken leg as the stitch him up.
<Induriel> Heh. It's "Booyah!" with a 'g' at the end for 'goblin'!
<Induriel> (ww)
<Kraaz> Kor! Well met and well fought.
* @Korivan nods
<Kraaz> A battle to sing about, and add to the histories.
<Korivan> YOu as well, Kraaz
<Kraaz> That spear throw... @.@
<Kraaz> I don't think even I could have done that.
<Kraaz> Not that I won't try. ;)
<Korivan> That...was Orak
* Kraaz frowns for a moment and then laughs.
<Korivan> He lent me his strenght
<Kraaz> Seems my ancestor likes you, then.
<Kraaz> His aid was greatly appreciated.
<Korivan> Yes.
* @Korivan agrees, though after a slight frown at the initial laugh
<Korivan> He had questions... Things I have heard from the living as well
<Kraaz> Oh?
* Kraaz waves with his chicken leg for you to continue.
<Korivan> The last words of Valex-abar...
<Korivan> People don't understand that the empire is dead.
* Kraaz nods.
<Korivan> They see the city as.... more than it is
<Korivan> and fear that they can control us
* Kraaz looks concerned at that.
<Korivan> They need so see...what this alliance bring us
<Kraaz> Leave us
* Kraaz says to the healers.
<YOAW_Narrator> Halgalaz will glance at Korivan with a worried look, but move to go.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Sorry, meant to say earlier it was her. She was the booyahg there all along. :p)
<Korivan> (np ;p)
<Korivan> (enh, Korivan may not have actually realized :p)
<Kraaz> (heh)
<Kraaz> It is a symbol, I agree.
* @Korivan 's gaze does settle on her as she departs, though
<Kraaz> But I think it can be one we can use.
<Korivan> Yes
<Korivan> The city needs us
<Kraaz> And will only become more indebted.
<Kraaz> I'll hand it to him, Kadanu and his men fight well. But they're a few hundred, and they won't be getting reinforcements.
<Kraaz> But we will continue to grow, and we can add to our host.
<Korivan> They seek other alliances
* @Korivan points out
<Kraaz> The Osoro? Tiny traders with sticks.
<Korivan> The Katalal fight well enough..,
<Korivan> but they will keep reaching. It is their way.
<Kraaz> The Katalal don't even like Iaga. If we give them a chance, they'd be happier to fight with true warriors.
<Kraaz> But you are not wrong.
<Korivan> Have you decided....what we will take form this?
* @Korivan gestures vaguely at the carnage of the battle field, and then looks back at Kraaz
<Kraaz> Captives, lands...hopefully the Ankai, if they can see wisdom.
* @Korivan nods
* @Korivan thinks about that and sees if there are any useful insights
<Korivan> (from the voices.... possibly the ancestors are done with me for the day tho)
<YOAW_Narrator> They seems to be pretty quiet at the moment.
<Korivan> Perhaps...
* @Korivan will notice that you are half stitched up, and sit to at least finish that off
<Kraaz> What did you think we would get out of this?
* Kraaz doesn't seem fazed by bone needles and sinew going through his flesh.
<Korivan> The first step to healing the tribe...
<Korivan> was the death of Valaxabar anir'Myreth anir'Hrieffen...
* Kraaz spits.
<Kraaz> Good riddance to him.
* @Korivan nods
<Korivan> Now...
<Korivan> The tribe needs to see that we are ewquals, at least, to our allies
<Kraaz> Did you have something in mind?
* @Korivan frowns, thinking
<Korivan> Not yet
* Lan-phone (uid135102@id-135102.tooting.irccloud.com) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
<Kraaz> Well, I'll think about that, then.
* @Korivan nods
<Kraaz> I think *our
* tribe knows we are their equal, but a show of strength is not a bad idea.
<Korivan> yes
<Korivan> It will be good... for the Ankai, as well, to see
<Kraaz> We will claim their Hraal, then I thought we would speak with their Gaath.
<Korivan> Yes...
<Kraaz> If they acknowledge our strength, they would make good allies.

Laris checks in on Sahhiru


<Laris> (where should we pick up? getting back to our camp, or during the, ah, celebration aftermath that I gather ensues?)
<YOAW_Narrator> Back at camp, I think.
<YOAW_Narrator> Presumably Sahirru is passed out in his tent.
* @Laris is probably fairly exhausted when he gets back too, but will do his best not to show it and get any status reports/updates from commanders that he needs to get.
* @Laris presumably also has the requisite bunch of minor injuries, the kind of things you get when people knock you off your awesome undead horse and then beat on you with clubs for a while :p
<YOAW_Narrator> (Heh)
<YOAW_Narrator> Your sub-commanders will get reports to you, but it doesn't seem like there's anything that needs your immediate attention.
<YOAW_Narrator> The Turathi support troops can see to your wounds.
<YOAW_Narrator> (I assume you'd go with them over letting the booyahg do whatever they would do)
<Laris> (yeah that seems... better)
<Laris> (no thank you I don't need you to rub garlic and chicken blood on me or whatever you people do that passes for medicine >.>)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yeah, the Turathi know it's all about ginger and goat bile)
<Laris> (exactly)
* @Laris looks around to see if he happens to see Sahhiru anywhere. like... just to check on him. for reasons.
<YOAW_Narrator> Like I said, if you look, you can find him in his tent.
* @Laris will wander in that direction, then.
* Bugbear_Warrior is now known as Sahirru
* Sahirru snores quietly
* @Laris clears his throat, seeing if maybe he'll wake up or if he's too far out for that >.>
<Sahirru> Hmm.
* Sahirru stirs.
<Sahirru> Whazzat? What had happened about me?
<Laris> ... we won...
<Sahirru> Go us...
* Sahirru says weakly.
* Sahirru manages to focus on you.
<Sahirru> You seem to be mostly intact.
<Laris> are you all right?
* Sahirru smiles.
<Sahirru> I am...likewise intact. Merely spent.
* @Laris nods
<Laris> I should not have disturbed your rest.
<Sahirru> There's wine, if you want.
* Sahirru gestures vaguely at a camp table nearby.
<Sahirru> No, please, it's all right.
<Sahirru> I...thought I might see you, after.
<Laris> you did?
* @Laris does want, so will go and help himself, as well as offering some to Sahhiru if he wants.
* Sahirru shakes his head.
<Sahirru> No thank you, I'd go right back to sleep.
* Sahirru pushes himself towards a sitting position.
* @Laris is thirsty, and will have some more wine.
<Laris> it took a lot out of you, it appears.
<Sahirru> It's a risk, but worthwhile, I think.
<Sahirru> It looks like it took a fair bit out of you.
<Sahirru> As well.
<Laris> it's been a long several days. and we will need to ride back to Nesu Abamatu before we can truly get some rest.
<Sahirru> I'll take what I can get right here.
* @Laris nods
<Laris> thank you for your aid. it would have been much more difficult without your help.
<Sahirru> I'm happy to have helped. Demons are...something of a sore spot.
<Laris> oh?
<YOAW_Narrator> Ancient enemy of my people. Hence my facility with dealing with them.
<YOAW_Narrator> (ww)
<Sahirru> Ancient enemy of my people. Hence my facility in dealing with them.
<Laris> ah, I see. I hope it was not too distressing for you, then.
<Sahirru> It's been a while since I took part in the Great War. I'm practically a hero.
* Sahirru smirks.
* @Laris nods
<Laris> and it appears that your ward's magics were also effective.
<Sahirru> She's a good girl.
* Sahirru still seems very tired, a little loopy.
* @Laris nods
<Laris> The Hrieffen fought well, with the strength of their ancestors to spur them on.
* @Laris realizes he doesn't really need to update Sahhiru on all of this, he was there for most of it >.>
* Sahirru nods
<Sahirru> I remember Korivan's throw. That was something.
* @Laris absently rubs the back of his neck, feeling awkward and uncertain why he's here.
<Laris> yes... very remarkable.
<Laris> I am keeping you from your rest, though. I should leave you to sleep.
<Sahirru> You don't have to go.
* @Laris freezes
* Sahirru smiles sadly
<Sahirru> I don't mean to scare you.
<Laris> But I should... I ...
<Laris> I am not scared >:|
<Sahirru> It's okay.
<Sahirru> I'm just offering. There's a bed here, too.
<Laris> what are you offering, exactly?
<Sahirru> Right now? Sleep.
<Sahirru> And, I suppose, warmth. You shadar-kai like the cold, but there's something to be said for some warm comfort.
<Laris> ...
<Laris> I just wanted to know that you were all right. I've determined that you are, so I'll leave you to your rest. I ... I wouldn't be able to sleep here...
<Sahirru> Of course, you should get your rest.
* Laris wavers slightly
<Laris> but... perhaps when we are back, we can ... reconsider this >.>
<Sahirru> Of course. Rest well, Dominus.
* @Laris nods and will depart for his own tent and probably not much rest there either -_-
* Sahirru will settle back into his camp bed.
* Sahirru opens his eyes to watch you go, smiling to himself.

Induriel consults with the members of his entourage


<YOAW_Narrator> I'm thinking you peeps are waiting for you when you get back to your quarters.
* Induriel is in the apartment assigned to his entourage, considering the day's events
* Kraaz is now known as Valtheriel
* Valax is now known as Malliel
* Orak is now known as Mifflepon
<Malliel> Any news on the battle?
* Induriel smiles
<Induriel> A convincing victory.
* Malliel smirks.
<Malliel> So not entirely useless, then.
<Valtheriel> And the summoning Heri Lalu wanted your help with?
<Induriel> I'm happy to say it played a key role in the victory; and I played a key part in making it happen.
<Valtheriel> Oh?
* Mifflepon will kind of putter around making sure everyone has drinks and snacks if they like.
<Induriel> Yes. The new Regent is grateful.
<Induriel> So I think we're off to a good start.
<Valtheriel> Excellent.
<Valtheriel> I thought tomorrow we might spend some time around the..city, see what we can find out?
<Induriel> Yes, that sounds like a good idea. There are going to be celebrations, wine will be flowing, and people should be speaking more freely.
<Induriel> It does seem that Mamitu Lalu has been doing a good job so far.
<Malliel> With what she has to work with.
<Valtheriel> Honestly, there's a lot of potential here.
<Induriel> Well, of course. She's one of MY students.
<Valtheriel> This is a convenient stop along eastern trade routes, and the tribals in the area offer plenty of opportunities for slaves to sell. We might even be able to establish trade back towards home.
<Induriel> Ah, you mean the city. Yes, that's certainly true.
<Induriel> Now that the enemy army has been defeated, the city should prosper even more.
<Induriel> What do we know about Laris Valerius Corvis?
<Valtheriel> I don't mean to disparage your student, my lord. I just haven't had the opportunity to evaluate her.
<Valtheriel> Thantopolitan nobility, obviously. Father a member of the senate, so fairly high ranking. Given this post as a temporary assignment ten years ago. He's done a remarkable job with so little support from home.
<Valtheriel> I get the impression they had other priorities.
<Induriel> The Thantopolitans had other priorities, you mean?
<Malliel> Laris Valerius Corvis? With the archers? I seem to recall hearing good things from some of the Thantopolitan military types, from that ambassadorial trip a few years back.
<Valtheriel> Yes. They wanted to hold this, but didn't put too many resources towards it. I think their western expansion taxed them.
<Induriel> And that is why Corvis is no longer in charge?
<Induriel> Mamitu said she didn't think he really wanted to be here.
<Valtheriel> Ah, no, that's a legal matter. The Thantopolitans never actually had claim to this land in their own right.
<Valtheriel> They had stewardship over it at the time of Bael Turath's destruction.
<Induriel> That wouldn't stop them if they had the power to back it up, though.
* Valtheriel shrugs.
<Induriel> I just can't help but wonder how he feels about it.
<Malliel> We'll, if it lets him get himself out of this backwater...
<Malliel> I know I'd jump at the chance.
<Malliel> (well*)
<Induriel> That's possible, and that's certainly the impression he seems to be giving off.
<Induriel> But what is he going back to? Less power, I imagine. And that may not sit kindly.
<Induriel> I look forward to meeting him for myself - maybe that will give me a better idea.

Solos

Laris consults Korivan about possible enchantments


* Kennesaw is now known as YOAW_Narrotr
* YOAW_Narrotr is now known as YOAW_Narrator
* Xandhil is now known as Korivan
* @Laris will ride up alongside Korivan on his undead horse
* @Korivan probably notices your horse before he realizes who is riding it exactly
* @Korivan probably does still look tired, but not unaccountably so
<Laris> Gaath Korivan, can I have a word with you?
<Korivan> Dominus...
* @Korivan nods
* @Laris will beckon for us to ride aside from the others slightly
* @Korivan will follow your lead, wondering what this is about and why the ancestors seem....amused
* @Laris seems a bit uncomfortable with whatever he is trying to get around to talking about
<Laris> Would it be possible for you to tell if someone was... under the effects of magic?
<Korivan> Of course.
<Laris> very well...
* @Korivan frowns
<Laris> could you... examine me? >.>
<Korivan> Hmm.
* @Korivan stares at you with more direct focus for a few moments
<Korivan> I see only your own magics within you.
* @Laris nod, but looks somewhat perturbed at that, narrowing his lips as he considers your answer.
<Korivan> ...Your own witches couldn't tell you this?
<Laris> I assume they could have. But it would have been... challenging to explain to them why I would want to know.
* @Korivan tilts his head
<Korivan> Why did you want to know?
<Laris> You already have your own suspicions about the Domina's advisor. It would not be surprising to you if I also had concerns about him.
<Korivan> Mmm, yes... I see no fire on you.
* @Laris nods
* @Laris resists the urge to ask you to check again :p
<Laris> Very well.
<Laris> I appreciate your assistance.
* @Korivan nods
<Korivan> Of course, Dominus
* @Laris will ride on ahead, then.

Laris asks Calkas for advice


<YOAW_Narrator> You're planning to talk to Calkas when you get back to town?
<Laris> Yes, thought depending on when we arrive he might try to get some rest first, then talk in the morning?\
<YOAW_Narrator> That'd work. We can pick up with Calkas coming to wake/rouse him, depending on if he's sleeping or trancing.
<Laris> okay, cool
* @Laris will have tried to sleep... maybe managed a couple hours between restless tossing and turning :p
* YOAW_Narrator is now known as Calkas
<Calkas> (Sorry, frozen comp for a sec)
* Calkas will come in to rouse you a little later than normal (unless otherwise instructed)
<Laris> (that's fine)
<Calkas> Dominus?
<Laris> ah... good morning, Calkas
* @Laris looks... pretty rough, probably.
<Calkas> A battle well-fought and well-celebrated, it would seem, Dominus.
<Laris> I did hear there was some celebration, yes.
<Calkas> I have your clothes for the day laid out for you, and a, ah, light breakfast.
* @Laris nods
<Calkas> None for you? You seem, if I may, somewhat worse for wear.
<Laris> My rest has been troubled. Not merely last night, although to be restless the night before a battle is nothing new.
<Calkas> Of course, Dominus. Does something trouble you?
<Laris> Mm... yes. I suppose it does.
* Calkas gives you an imploring look.
<Laris> After the battle had ended, Sahhiru issued an... invitation to me, to ... to rest with him.
* @Laris decides to go with the most obvious cause for his concerns, at least to start with
<Calkas> Ah. Well, the Turathi are said to be quite...accommodating in that way. I suppose it is not unusual.
<Calkas> How did you respond?
<Laris> I refused his offer on the grounds that I did not feel it would be conducive to sleep >.> Then I ran away.
* Calkas maintains a studiously neutral face.
<Laris> I ... could have handled it better. I was surprised.
<Calkas> It was, perhaps, not the most diplomatic of responses.
<Calkas> But understandable.
<Calkas> Are you concerned he was offended?
<Laris> he didn't appear to be, but I have ... not spoken at length with him since then.
<Laris> but I told him we could revisit the issue later -_-
<Calkas> Ah
<Calkas> And do you have a plan in that instance?
<Laris> ... I suppose pretending I never said it and ignoring it forever is not an option >.>
<Calkas> Likely not, no.
<Laris> then, no.
<Laris> I do not have a plan, and I'm goign to need to see him today, if we are to arrange some form of festivity to celebrate the victory.
* Calkas lets a frown slip.
<Calkas> I have preliminary plans for such, pending approval, but it would seem additional planning is in order.
<Laris> oh... good. yes, your plans will be much appreciated.
<Calkas> They're sitting with their breakfast, Dominus.
* @Laris nods
<Calkas> As to the Domina's uncle...what is your ultimate goal? He certainly has a significant amount of influence over the new lady of the estate.
<Laris> I am not skilled at ... at using charm to bend people to my will.
* @Laris says in the understatement of the year
<Calkas> I have been your teacher these few years.
* Calkas gives a small smile.
<Laris> What are *his
* goals in regards to me? Does he think he can tempt me to stay longer with such offers?
<Calkas> I'm aware of your strengths.
<Calkas> That's certainly a possibility. Perhaps he hopes to influence you before you return home, to have a closer ally in Thantopolis,
* @Laris nods, considering that
<Calkas> Or, conceivably, he simply finds you attractive. It's not outside the realm of possibility.
<Laris> mm >.>
* Calkas 's smile accentuates his gnomish features with fox-like quality.
<Laris> He has known me only a short while, what can he possibly desire from me? >.>
<Laris> Or... rather... anything he could desire from me is based on either politics, or lust. Neither is ideal.
<Calkas> The two are not mutually exclusive, nor are they to be dismissed.
<Calkas> You cannot afford to build a...romantic relationship here, but otherwise, there are advantages.
<Calkas> Beyond the obvious.
* @Laris blushes (thankfully it's probably not obvious ;p)
<Laris> He would have the advantage over me.
<Calkas> How so?
<Laris> because he knows what the hell he's doing, and I don't >.>
<Calkas> In certain arenas, yes. However, Laris, you are perhaps the most self-controlled person I've ever met. If you maintain a set of goals and parameters of behavior, I would imagine Sahhiru is more in danger of entanglements than you would be.
* @Laris looks pained
<Calkas> Something to consider, at least. For now, we can sit you on opposite sides of the dais, and use our allies as buffers.
<Calkas> If you prefer.
<Laris> ...
<Laris> it's only delaying the inevitable
<Calkas> What would you prefer, Dominus?
<Laris> I will need to speak with him at some point... whether before the celebration or after, I suppose.
<Calkas> Why don't we maintain a respectable distance for the official portions of the celebration, and you can speak to him later at your leisure.
* @Laris nods
<Laris> yes... all right.
<Laris> and perhaps after breakfast you can aid me in some meditation, to help calm myself and focus.
<Calkas> As you wish, Dominus.
* @Laris will finish dressing, then, so he can go have this light breakfast and try not to freak out about tonight.