Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session 19

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session logs
Previous Session 19 Next

Summary

Aftermath of the killing of Kepeskmiiriv. Saḫḫiru speaks with May and congratulates her on her handling of the situation. Korivan, May, Induriel, Temu and a few other casters speak to Gladius and Meghan about what needs to be done for Iosh and how to cleanse the land of Kepeskmiiriv's resonance. May decides against Korivan's idea of using the magic to create some enchanted objects so as not to offend Gladius and Meghan. Laris and Dianthea talk about the job that May offered and remaining in Nēšu Abamātu. The ritualists manage to disapate the dragon resonance and revive Iosh. Grahm checks in on Eyllia, who winds up going out to look for a fight with Lysa to burn off steam. Malliel discloses suspicions to Induriel that the elven delegation is a military unit, and Vlatherial reports progress on the Aethrennari plan to find May a suitor. Later, Laris brings Dianthea and Rufus to see his villa, and speaks further with May about her offer.

Session

Session date: 2018-09-02
In Game date: 1-2 days following the previous session

Saḫḫiru congratulates May on her work


* Sahhiru will find May wherever she happens to be the day after the dragon attack.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Pretty sure all the solos are night of/day after. Yes/no?)
<May> (Probably somewhere around the castle, dealing with logistics for rebuilding and recovery and such)
<May> (I think so)
<Laris> (I think Rufus and Laris would probably be the night after? but same thing :)
* Sahhiru will approach quietly and clear his throat to get May's attention.
* May will look up from her conversation with the soldier she is talking to and smile at her uncle. "Ok, I guess just work on getting the rubble cleared for now. We can talk to the builders once everything is out of the way."
* May will dismiss the soldier and turn to Sahirru
<May> Hi Uncle
<Sahhiru> You seem to be feeling better.
* Sahhiru will return the smile.
<May> Yeah, much. Getting some sleep helped, even if it wasn't much.
<Sahhiru> I'm glad. It's amazing you were able to sleep at all.
<Sahhiru> This was...quite the excitement.
<Sahhiru> Everything seems to be under control for now, though some issues remain outstanding.
* Induriel (Mibbit@bas1-montreal43-70-51-28-23.dsl.bell.ca) has joined #gnomeland
<May> Yeah. It was something else alright. I'm trying to deal with what I can.
<May> We still need to get underway on the ritual for Iosh
<May> They should be setting things up by now
<Sahhiru> What are your plans for helping him?
<May> Korivan thinks we can use some of the dead dragon's essence energy to revive him. I'm going to help him with it.
<May> Dragonhearts are powerful magical vessels. If anything can do it, that can.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> Recovery of such might be difficult. This dragon is certainly unusual.
<May> Yeah, I've never seen anything about this kind of thing in my books. It's kind of exciting actually. I plan to write up the ritual myself.
<Sahhiru> Mamitu's Draconic Essence Retrieval?
* Sahhiru smiles.
* May smiles.
<May> Something like that, yeah!
<Sahhiru> I'd say be careful, but I'm sure you're tired of hearing it from me.
* May shrugs, teasingly, "I guess you can say it again if you really want to."
<Sahhiru> I would like to say, however, how impressed I am at how you dealt with the attack and its aftermath. I'm sorry your mother and father couldn't be here to see how much you've blossomed into your role here. No parent could be prouder.
* May smiles and blushes.
<May> I... thanks, uncle.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<May> I couldn't have done any of it without you.
<Sahhiru> Debatable, but I'll take the compliment.
* Sahhiru will give May a hug.
* May hugs Sahirru
<Sahhiru> (heh)
<May> ( :3 )
<Sahhiru> On the note of your role here, or, more specifically, your rule here, I understand you offered Dominus Corvis a more permanent position?
<May> Oh... um... yes. I hope that was ok...
<May> It seemed to make sense given the situation.
<Sahhiru> I think it is a fantastic idea, and I hope he accepts. I'm also glad you made the decision and executed it on your own.
* May 's smile brightens
<Sahhiru> You saw an issue that needed resolution, and undertook to resolve it. I'm not sure you would have even a month or so past.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<May> Yeah... I guess not. Maybe I'm starting to get the hang of this a little.
<Sahhiru> I believe I may have indicated such might come to pass...
* May elbows Sahirru in the ribs.
<May> Is that an "I told you so"?
<Sahhiru> I wouldn't dream of stooping to such.
<Sahhiru> Now, I believe you said you have a ritual to attend to?
<May> Oh! Yes! Where are you headed?
<Sahhiru> More administrative duties. We have petitioners asking about assistance in reconstruction.
* May nods.
<Sahhiru> You're certainly welcome to handle this, if you prefer it over the ritual...
<May> Oh, gods, no.
<Sahhiru> I had a feeling.
<May> Please, go do your thing. I'll be over by the rotting dragon corpse if you need me.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Sahhiru> Be careful. Sorry, it couldn't be helped.
* May laughs.
<May> Thanks, uncle.

The ritualists consult with Gladius and Meghan about Iosh


<YOAW_Narrator> (So, say, May, Korivan, Induriel, Meghan, and Gladius?)
<Korivan> (And that woudl make sense to me Charles, if it is somethign Induriel is intrested in doing?)
<Induriel> (I don't know. But I was part of the ritual that led to this, so maybe that's important.)
<May> (And Temu)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Possibly various assistants, if you want. Temu, Halgalaz, Faasha, etc.)
<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, so, the various interested parties can meet at the keep.
* Sahhiru is now known as Gladius
* May will gather everyone up in the solar.
* NPC2 is now known as Meghan
* NPC1 (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Meghan looks a little nervous, but is mostly just hovering near Gladius.
* Gladius mostly just looks pained, but is attentive.
<May> Ok... so... thanks for coming, all of you.
<May> Temu has been clearing and setting up a ritual space near the dragon. We're hoping we can use it to help Iosh recover, but we'll probably need everyone.
* Induriel nods, trying not to sneak looks at Gladius
<Gladius> If I may, what do you plan to do?
<May> Well...
* May will gesture to Korivan since he seems to know more about the actual requirements.
<Korivan> What was his connection... to Kepeskmiiriv?
<Korivan> Is.
<Korivan> What is.
<Gladius> Iosh is dragonmarked.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Gladius> It's not one of the 'standard' ones; it came from Terus, much like yours.
<Gladius> It allows him to forge a connection with others, binding their spirits together.
* Korivan nods
<Gladius> I believe Meghan and myself are acting as anchors for his spirit.
* Korivan nods and stares at them for a minute
<Korivan> (Can I see that? Like, that that mesh with what I sw when I looked at him earlier when I was talking to Merula?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (It makes sense once you know what you're looking for. There's a kind of bleed effect to their auras, faint since they're not currently near Iosh.)
<Korivan> (Okay)
<Korivan> (Do I think that he was aso bound to this other dragon?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (You'd have to see them both to be sure, but you're fairly certain that is the case.)
<Korivan> And he was bound to Kepeskmiiriv?
* Korivan says, but less as a question
<Korivan> (I mean I kinda did know that one already ;p)
* Gladius nods.
<May> So his spirit is being pulled in two directions. That's why hes only half alive. We'll need to sever his connection to Kepeskmiiriv.
<Gladius> I believe so, yes.
<Korivan> She drew some of him with her...
<Gladius> She always was a greedy one...
<Korivan> Severance could make that... permanent @_@
* May frowns.
<Korivan> Can he control the bonds?
<Gladius> Were he conscious, yes, usually.
<Gladius> You have another, related problem.
<Gladius> But I believe they have the same solution.
<May> What's that?
<Gladius> How familiar are you with the concept of draconic resonance?
* Korivan shakes his head, though he has guesses
* May simply stares, almost physically unable to admit she is unfamiliar with a magical concept.
<Gladius> When one of my people dies, their spirit suffuses the land around them. Our elemental nature warps the land and climate of the site.
<Gladius> In short, this storm will be permanent unless measures are taken.
<Korivan> The storm callers.... perhaps... can help
<May> What measures?
<Gladius> That could help, but it's a stopgap. You'll need to sever Kepeskmiiriv's spiritual connection to this world, at the site of her death.
<Korivan> hmm
<Korivan> Yes...
<Gladius> I can advice you, but I am weakened. I fear I might not be able to withstand the rigors of the working at present.
<Gladius> And her resonance will only grow stronger.
<May> Then we should get started quickly.
<Gladius> I agree.
* Korivan nods
* Gladius can walk you through the ritual, at least the Arkhosian version. You might need to tailor it to your styles.
<Korivan> (Okay - I want to make sure that there's nothign that needs to be accounted for in terms of her having been catastropic, and also whether what we are talking about re: Iosh is diverting some of that flow to him?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Her being a catastrophic dragon will make the ritual more volatile, but the only thing to do for that is mostly just having more people on hand to handle the energy. As for Iosh, you could conceivably channel some of the energy to him through their connection, possibly giving him the leverage to sever the connection himself.)
<Korivan> (Perfect)
<May> (But would that still sever the resonnance?)
<Korivan> (yes, it should)
<Korivan> (unless he fucks up, but even then it would just be a little bit of resonance and much moe managable)
* Korivan will have someone send for Vana and her peeps
<YOAW_Narrator> They can certainly be on hand.

Korivan brings up the possibility of creating magic items with the resonance as well


<Korivan> (The other question is whether any of that resonnance could be harnassed or bound into a useable format while we're doing this. I mean. Theoretically. Magic items. Theoretcially.)
<YOAW_Narrator> (That'd be more difficult, but it's certainly possible. :))
<Korivan> (On the one hand I do already have a cool staff, on the other hand, staff of chain lightning anyone? Staff of storms?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Up to y'all.)
* Korivan will mention it to May
<YOAW_Narrator> (Just gotta decide before the ritual starts.)
* May will consider.
<May> Is that worth possibly failing the ritual?
<Korivan> (Woudl it be an all or nothign thing JOsh Where if we don't succeed at making the tem we also don't succeed at the rest)
<YOAW_Narrator> (If you fail at the items, you might leave some free resonance. It's not a total failure, but it may be some trouble that you'd have to deal with down the line.)
<Korivan> It wouldn't fail....completely
<Korivan> nothing unmanageable
<May> But it would mean trouble for the city.
<May> I don't know...
<Korivan> You are afraid?
<May> -_-
<May> I'm not afraid.
<Korivan> We can do this.
* May sighs.
<May> Ok, we'll try it. I guess the worst that happens is it rains for a while, right?
<YOAW_Narrator> (Okay, do you know what sort of item(s) you're going to try to imbue?)
<May> (How does that work? Like would it be harder the more GP the item costs?)
<Korivan> (I do want that staff with electrical dischaerge of some kind/weather control stuff, which I think makes sense given her energy)
<YOAW_Narrator> (It's not really a hard and fast thing, Tuck. Just, in general, what sort of item(s) were you wanting?)
<Korivan> (I can think of other things but I'm tring not to be greedy But how many other chances will you ever get to do somethign like this ;)
<May> (I was thinking of something more useful for the city. maybe something like an orb of storms? Something to influence the weather. Maybe help out during droughts or such?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (That's workable. The other factor for this is it would take time. You would need, I'd say, at least a day to prepare whatever item you want to imbue.)
<May> *Nod*
<May> (Would Gladius be ok with that?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (You can ask him. ;))
<Korivan> How much time?
* Korivan will ask him, to start
<Gladius> I'm sorry?
<Korivan> How long do we have....to start
<Korivan> it would be a shame to waste so much power
<Gladius> The sooner the better. As I said, it will just get more difficult.
<Gladius> Theoretically, I suppose an area could be cleansed years later, but it would be a massive undertaking.
* Gladius raises an eyebrow.
<Gladius> 'Waste'?
<Gladius> You want to use it for something.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Gladius> ...How long have you worked for the Turathi?
<Korivan> I work for Bane
<Korivan> And my tribe
<Gladius> Well, I'll have little enough theological leg to stand on, then. Better to press her spirit into service here then to let is pass on to eternal war with your ancestors in Avalas.
* Korivan nods
<Gladius> She was a monster; I suppose this is not an unearned end.
<Gladius> I wonder, though, if you would feel the same were it one of your people.
* Korivan listens to what the ancerstors have to say about that :V
<YOAW_Narrator> (Honestly kind of split on the issue. Some of them want the power for the tribe, some of them feel it's dishonorable, others feel like it's similar to consuming a respected enemy, some are calling that a justification...)
* Korivan shrugs, then
<Korivan> If it were.... I would ask them.
<Gladius> Do you plan to do that in this instance?
<Korivan> She is not me tribe.... or an ally.
<May> Korivan... Maybe we should reconsider.
<Gladius> That's not an answer.
<Gladius> It's not an unusual practice. The Turathi have harvested my people's power when they can, and they certainly weren't the first.
* May considers that.
<Gladius> As I said, I could not, in good faith, say she doesn't deserve it.
<Meghan> It's wrong.
<Meghan> I know we have no standing here.
<Meghan> But this would not be justice, nor is it vengeance. She is dead; the scales are balanced.
<Meghan> Destroy her power and let it go from this world, that it won't be turned to such destruction again.
<May> What about her body? There is a lot of power in her physical form as well?
* NPC1 frowns.
<NPC1> (ack)
* Meghan frowns.
<Gladius> What is left of it that will not dissipate into elemental matter, yes.
<Gladius> Our way would be to leave it to the weather and scavengers. Forgive me for saying, but you would qualify in this case. There's no case to be made against your use of her...remains.
* Gladius exchanges a sharp look with Meghan.
<May> Then I agree with Meghan. I believe we should let her spirit be. It's just asking for trouble.
* Meghan will favor May with a grateful smile.
* Korivan shrugs, then
<May> I'm sorry, Korivan...
<Korivan> Then we will prepare for the rest
* May nods.
<May> Let's go. It will only get worse.

Laris has his delayed dinner with Dianthea, and asks her about remaining


* Laris would like to have arranged for a meal with her at the inn, again taking advantage of his ownership to have a private room set up for them ;)
<YOAW_Narrator> (schmancy)
* Laris will also ask Calkas to get some flowers for him to give to her
<Dianthea> Oh, that's so sweet!
* Dianthea will put one of them in her hair.
<Dianthea> How does it look?
<Laris> It looks very nice.
* Dianthea smiles.
<Laris> I wanted to make amends for the circumstances of your arrival here - I had hoped for a more pleasant introduction.
<Dianthea> I appreciate that, but it was hardly your fault.
<Dianthea> Is it always this exciting around here?
* Dianthea asks teasingly.
<Laris> It goes through phases... often it can be peaceful for a month or two at a time.
<Dianthea> A whole month? Fascinating. ;)
* Laris nods
<Laris> I hope you will not mind staying, if that is the case. I have been asked by Domina Mamitu to take up a more official position here.
<Dianthea> Oh.
<Dianthea> I mean, oh?
<Dianthea> What position?
<Laris> Lugal - it is a military leadership position, I take it.
<Laris> I have not said yes yet - I wanted to talk to you first.
<Dianthea> I appreciate that.
<Dianthea> Do you want the position?
* Laris considers how to answer that
<Laris> I think it is appropriate if I am to remain here that I have some official role - as it is now, I simply do what I believe is best for the city, and people follow my instructions because they are accustomed to doing so, or they have no other guidance. But having some official position would give me the authority that now I hold only out of habit.
<Laris> But, if you do not wish to remain here, I would not wish to take the position if it would make you unhappy.
* Dianthea frowns, considering.
<Dianthea> I don't think it would make me unhappy...
<Dianthea> I have some concerns over what my role would be, here.
* Laris nods
<Dianthea> But I'm not against the idea.
<Laris> Can I help address those concerns in any way?
<Dianthea> I'm not sure? I am a priestess, and a healer, but I have heretofore mostly dealt with the risen rather than the living.
* Laris nods
<Dianthea> There's no one here that really needs my aid in that capacity.
<Dianthea> But I'm not against the idea of trying something new.
<Dianthea> I'm just not sure what that would be.
<Dianthea> The city has a temple to the Queen, and Merula seems to have it in hand.
* Dianthea pauses, thinking.
* Laris will also think.
<Laris> I can introduce you to Nakhtmin if you would like - the necromancer here. Perhaps there would be some way you could work together.
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> I'd like that regardless. Rufus spoke highly of them, though he has some...professional disagreements with their methods.
* Laris nods
<Laris> They are not of our faith or traditions, but they have considerable skill nevertheless.
<Dianthea> Right.
<Dianthea> It's somewhere to start, I suppose.
<Dianthea> How long were you thinking of staying, if you've considered it?
<Laris> As well, Domina Mamitu would likely benefit from female advice and companionship. She is currently somewhat surrounded by men, and might appreciate a feminine presence.
<Laris> Ah... I had not thought that far ahead. But I would not wish to take on a position and then rapidly leave it, as it would only cause more chaos than if I had not accepted it in the first place. Barring other complications, I would hope to remain at least several years?
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> That makes sense.
<Dianthea> You've been here ten years already. What's a few more?
* Dianthea smiles.
<Laris> Now that I have companionship here, I could stay as long as I am needed.
* Laris says with a slight smile in return.
<Dianthea> I hope my being here hasn't added to the already significant stress.
<Laris> No.
<Laris> I ...
* Laris pauses, even though I'm sure he thought this out ahead of time, because he wants to make sure he says it right.
<Laris> I care for you very strongly, even though you have not been here long. I want to make this a place you would be happy to stay - and for you to be happy to stay with me.
* Dianthea smiles at that, then frowns a moment in thought.
<Dianthea> I care about you, too, and I hope that my concerns about staying here don't seem like concerns about you. I know letters can't capture a whole person, but, ah, I've known what I was getting into for a long time. I'm happy to be here, and happy to stay with you, and happy to figure out, well, what all that means.
* Laris is concerned that maybe he messed it up, despite his efforts
* Laris nods, relieved a bit
<Laris> ...you know that I have feelings for Rufus as well, I imagine? >.>
* Dianthea laughs a little at that.
<Dianthea> That seems like an understatement, from my understanding.
<Dianthea> But, yes, I know about you two.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I didn't want to make things awkward, but I suppose it's something we need to talk about when making decisions about staying here longer.
<Dianthea> Well, I believe Rufus is officially dispatched to the Thantopolitan representative here.
<Laris> That's correct.
<Dianthea> So he'll be here regardless, and I assume you'd prefer to stay here where he is.
<Laris> Given the choice, yes...
<Laris> I haven't always been given a choice.
<Dianthea> I certainly don't want to take it away from you.
* Dianthea smiles.
<Laris> I appreciate that.
<Dianthea> Laris, I love Rufus, though not as you do, obviously. If you two make each other happy, I have no issue.
* Laris nods, relieved at that at least
<Laris> I also... have an involvement with Sahhiru. Obviously not as of long duration - much more recent, really. I... don't know how that will proceed, or how it might complicate matters.
* Laris figures, ughh, just get it all out right now, while we're talking about it -_-
<Laris> this complexity wasn't what I expected... it really isn't, ah, customary for me @_@
<Dianthea> Oh, hmm.
<Dianthea> Uh, I wouldn't have thought so, no.
<Dianthea> And you're wanting to, ah, proceed with Sahhiru?
<Laris> Matters are in flux at the moment. We are still settling them, as best as we can. We agreed for now that we would like to continue, but .. there are complications on both sides.
* Laris looks awkward as he is extremely bad at explaining this :p
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> I can imagine.
* Dianthea says a little flatly.
<Laris> I don't mean you - you aren't a complication.
<Dianthea> I appreciate that.
* Laris rubs his forehead, a bit stressed
<Dianthea> I'm not here to upend your world.
* Eyllia (vess@CPEbc4dfb296af3-CMbc4dfb296af0.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Dianthea> And I'm not so naive to think that this will be all songs and flowers.
<Dianthea> I care about you, and I want you to be happy. I will do my best to aid that, but I know it's not my sole responsibility.
<Laris> I want to be honest with you. This is what my current situation is. If you choose to stay, I want us to always be able to be honest with one another.
<Laris> I care about you, and I never want to hurt you if I can avoid it. If something is bothering you, I want to know it.
<Dianthea> I'm not...bothered. I don't exactly know what I am.
* Laris nods
<Dianthea> It sort of feels like I'm jealous, but why would I be of Sahhiru and not Rufus? Maybe I just need to get to know Sahhiru more.
<Laris> if you want, certainly.
<Dianthea> And, if we're being honest, my tastes haven't usually ranged towards men, so I have been a little nervous.
* Laris nods again
<Dianthea> I do want a family and everything!
<Dianthea> Just to clarify.
<Dianthea> Nothing against you, and maybe it's been situational...
<Dianthea> Now I feel like we're being *very* honest.
<Laris> If you found you were happier seeking ... companionship of that kind with someone else, I couldn't possibly object.
* Dianthea gives a fragile smile.
<Dianthea> I didn't have plans, Laris. I *did* come here for you.
<Dianthea> Well, and Harbinger, but that's a whole different thing.
<Laris> I ... have very little experience with women, but again, I think mainly due to my situation? I am not, ah, constitutionally opposed to such relations.
* Dianthea laughs a little at that.
<Dianthea> I'm sorry, I don't mean to make light.
<Laris> it's all right
<Dianthea> I think staying may be a good idea. There's certainly stresses here, but less than there would be back home.
<Laris> I think ... here, at least, we have a chance to make a life that we can be satisfied with, without the complications that might arise in Thantopolis. I don't mean to say we could never return there, of course, but at least, if things go well, we could do so on our own terms, with enough wealth and prestige that if our ... domestic arrangements are unconventional, what are they going to do about it?
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> That sounds reasonable.
* Laris takes her hand carefully
<Laris> I am very glad and honoured that you came here for me, Dianthea. I want you to be happy, and I'll do whatever I can to assist with that.
<Dianthea> I'm glad that I came, despite recent events separate from us, and I will do everything I can to help you be happy.
<Laris> perhaps soon we can go out to the villa, so that you can see another aspect of what I've built here.
<Dianthea> I'd like that.

The ritual to dissipate Kepeskmiiriv


<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, so, folks will gather for the ritual in the field north of Nesu Abamatu around the corpse of Kepeskmiiriv.
* May will be taking careful notes.
<YOAW_Narrator> Gladius will talk you through preparations, but presumably you all have a few alterations based on your own magical styles.
<Korivan> (cool)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Who all is participating in the ritual?)
<May> (raises hand)
<Korivan> (me, and I'd take Halgalaz for sure - I don't know how much ritual experience faasha has and this might be a little advanced for an initiate, dragonmarked or not :p)
<May> (Temu)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Faasha would at least ask if she can come along, even if she can't participate.)
<Korivan> (Vana, if she'll come, and any of her peeps?)
<Induriel> (Sure)
<Korivan> (Yes that's fine. I'll see if I can find her some assistive task so she can have some role even if she's not drectly involved.)
<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, all my PCs, can I get you to make Will checks?
<Korivan> (I'm taking my ancestor die for this)
<YOAW_Narrator> (k)
<Lan_phone> !roll 6d6
* Korivan rolls for Lan_phone: [ 6d6 ] getting [ 5 1 6 2 4 3 ] for a total of [ 21 ].
<Induriel> !roll 6d6
* Korivan rolls for Induriel: [ 6d6 ] getting [ 1 4 4 1 1 6 ] for a total of [ 17 ].
<May> !roll 4d6
* Korivan rolls for May: [ 4d6 ] getting [ 2 2 1 6 ] for a total of [ 11 ].
<Korivan> (so 18)
<May> yeesh, only 10
<Induriel> (That goes down to 15 for me)
<May> (Oh, wait, I was one die short)
<May> !roll 1d6
* Korivan rolls for May: [ 1d6 ] getting [ 5 ].
<May> (15)
<May> (Much more respectable
<May> )
<YOAW_Narrator> The ritual itself is not particularly elaborate, but it does take some time, largely because you need a ritual circle around Kepeskmiiriv.
<YOAW_Narrator> Gladius will have translated the wording into Turathi, most likely (though something else if everyone prefers).
<Induriel> (Something Elduar? :D )
<YOAW_Narrator> Your various attendants will hold censers full of burning herbs and the like, wafting the smoke over you.
<YOAW_Narrator> (He could translate it to Aethrennari if you prefer, but it needs to be the same for everyone.)
<May> (I think Turathi is best bet for that ;) )
<Korivan> (yeah)
<Induriel> (Turathi it is, then)
<YOAW_Narrator> The smoke seems to amplify in your vision, getting thicker, and you hear a rumble of thunder that has no counterpart in the physical realm.
<YOAW_Narrator> You find yourselves (likely along with Temu and Vana, as the five most accomplished magic users and thus likely foci of the ritual) seemingly floating in mid-air in the middle of a thunderstorm, lightning flashing through dark clouds around you.
<YOAW_Narrator> Korivan bears armor of some dark metal with red highlights running through it, pulsing in time to his heartbeat, bearing a spear of the same material.
<YOAW_Narrator> May's horns and tail are whole, and a pair of wings sprouts from her back. Her ritual robe looks to be made of smoke and fire, and a burning crown floats just above her brow.
<YOAW_Narrator> Induriel is difficult to look upon, the power of the summer court making a haze around him. His eyes and hair appear almost gold in truth, shimmering as he moves.
<YOAW_Narrator> Temu is perhaps closest to her 'normal' self, but her armor appears new and bright, a brass rod etched in glowing runes held in her hand.
<YOAW_Narrator> Vana is nearly invisible, drifting into wisps of air that don't seem to respond to the phantom winds of this place.
<YOAW_Narrator> You all feel a presence here, though it is hard to distinguish from the storm itself.
<YOAW_Narrator> A dark shape darts through lighter portions of the clouds, circling you.
<Korivan> (should we be reacting to this or is thee more description?)
<Korivan> (and also - is this expected?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (No, sorry, you can react. Gladius couldn't be sure what form this would take, but it's not unexpected. Presumably, the dark shape is Kepeskmiiriv's spirit.)
* May opens her (presumably glowing red) eyes and looks around at the assembled ritualists.
<Korivan> (and what shoudl we be doing at this stage? fighting or is it uncertain?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Fighting or convincing her to move on.)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Gladius assumed the former.)
<Korivan> (Legit)
<Korivan> (How does the Iosh stuff play into this scenario?)
<Korivan> (Like, is that being taken care of by some other aspect of the ritual or is is somethign we need to deal with here?)
<Korivan> (Sorry, just tryng to sort out what our goals are :x)
<YOAW_Narrator> (I get you. When you kill her here, take her 'heart' and bring it back for Iosh. It will be "physical" here, but a magical construct in the real world.)
<Korivan> (Got it, perfect :)
* Korivan looks around at the others, and the up towards where the dark shape is
<Korivan> Kepeskmiiriv! Show yourself!
* Dianthea is now known as Kepeskmiiriv
<Kepeskmiiriv> YOU'VE MADE A GRAVE MISTAKE, MORTALS!
* Meghan is now known as Temu
<Temu> Ugh, spirits.
* May flaps her wings to test the air and opens her mouth, exhaling smoke and flames. "If we're the mortals, how come you're the one who's dead?"
* NPC1 is now known as Vana_mage
<YOAW_Narrator> (Tuck, what's May's Cunning?)
<May> (4)
<Korivan> 9We're not.... *not
* dead)
<YOAW_Narrator> Sensing a response, you shift to the side as a bolt of lightning lances through the space you just occupied.
* Kepeskmiiriv roars.
<YOAW_Narrator> The dragon-spirit seems to wheel about to come towards you.
<Induriel> (I'd like to use illusions/distractions to create false targets for Kepeskmiiriv to shoot at.)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Roll Will)
<Induriel> (Or attack, if she's charging.)
<YOAW_Narrator> (With any magic specialties, etc)
<Induriel> (So with casting bonus?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yeah)
<Induriel> !roll 6d6
* Korivan rolls for Induriel: [ 6d6 ] getting [ 1 3 3 6 4 1 ] for a total of [ 18 ].
<Induriel> (16)
* Induriel dispatches beautiful shimmering lights that dance in hypnotic patterns, in an effort to confuse the dragon.
* Korivan needs a better target to take a shot, so hopefully someone can draw her out
<Korivan> 9I assume this is a throwing spear anyway, please let me know if not :V)
* Kepeskmiiriv rushes just beneath you, drawn off target by Induriel's illusions.
<YOAW_Narrator> (It can be thrown, yes. :))
* May will attempt to wreath herself in hellfire and use it to attack back.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Will again)
* Korivan will take aim and go for it, then
<Korivan> (GOds I hope that's a will for me :V)
* Vana_mage will move towards Korivan.
<Vana_mage> I will guide your spear, shaman.
* Korivan nods
* Vana_mage 's form seems to swirl around you, concentrating on the spear.
* Korivan will make the throw
<Temu> Siru, aim for his right, we will stall him for the Gaath's throw.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Tuck, roll Will for me?)
* May nods to Temu
<May> (Does ritual help?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (It wouldn't in this particular case)
<May> !roll 4d6
* Korivan rolls for May: [ 4d6 ] getting [ 4 3 5 3 ] for a total of [ 15 ].
<May> (15)
<YOAW_Narrator> May's halo of hellfire explodes towards Kepeskmirriv where she wings around for another pass.
<YOAW_Narrator> At the same moment, Temu's brass implement flares and a second streak of fire blasts forth.
<YOAW_Narrator> The dragon stalls it's advance for just a moment, the motion exposing its underside.
* Laris (~Curtana_n@d24-57-147-225.home.cgocable.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 180 seconds)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Heather, roll Will)
<Korivan> (does Dedication help?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (I don't think for this, no)
* Laris_ (~Curtana_n@d24-57-147-225.home.cgocable.net) has joined #gnomeland
<Lan_phone> !roll 4d6
* Korivan rolls for Lan_phone: [ 4d6 ] getting [ 5 5 6 6 ] for a total of [ 22 ].
<Korivan> (:V)
<Korivan> (17)
<Korivan> (no derp, that really is a 22)
* Laris_ is now known as Laris
<YOAW_Narrator> A streak of lightning hits Korivan's spear just as it leaves his hand, making it a bolt of electricity streaking across the skies towards its target. Korivan, you find yourself holding the spear as it lands, a clap of thunder that would have shattered your physical ears echoing your roar of triumph and the dragon's wail of defeat.
<YOAW_Narrator> Korivan holds the spear amidst the spirit's death throes, both of them seeming to fall through the endless sky. The rest of you feel a sort of gravity pulling you along.
<YOAW_Narrator> A glow seems to rise from its chest, moving into yours and imbuing you with a momentary oneness with the dragon and storm.
<YOAW_Narrator> You all feel that falling sensation, faster and faster, the storm growing denser, until you find yourselves once more in the physical world, your appearances back to their usual mundanity.
<YOAW_Narrator> (such as it is for some of you ;))
* Korivan need to put this...power into Iosh presumably
* Kepeskmiiriv is now known as Gladius
<Gladius> You're alive, thank the gods.
<May> We did it...
<Gladius> Quickly, Iosh is here.
* Korivan turns to him
* Gladius will be standing over the kobold, currently laid on a stretcher.
* Temu is now known as Meghan
* Meghan seems to be praying, watching you all.
<Korivan> (Where is Iosh's dragon mark again?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (On his chest)
<Korivan> (cool beans)
* Korivan will trace the shape of it with his ritual knife, then cut his own hand deeply and put it over it - blood to blood
* Meghan winces as you do so.
* May puts a hand on Meghan's shoulder.
<YOAW_Narrator> You feel the power you had absorbed move from you into Iosh, and both of your dragonmarks flare.
<YOAW_Narrator> A moment later, he shakily opens his eyes.
* Vana_mage is now known as Iosh
<Iosh> (in Hrieffen, somehow) Thank you.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> [H] Be strong
* Meghan lets out a short, happy sniffle and turns and hugs May (being the closest person)
* May will be caught off guard but after a moment return the hug.
* Iosh nods, then rests back on the stretcher.
* Gladius will kneel next to the Korivan and Iosh.
<Gladius> (In a dialect similar to Hrieffen, but not quite correct) You have done us a great service.
* Meghan moves over to give Korivan a hug, and basically everyone involved.
<May> When he's ready, we'll take him back to the keep to recover. I'll make sure he's attended to.
* Korivan is probably startled by the hug, but nods to Gladius

Grahm checks in on Eyllia


<YOAW_Narrator> Just a few minutes after your drink with Korivan, you'll hear a knock on the door.
* Gladius is now known as Grahm
<Grahm> Captain?
<Eyllia> Come in Grahm
* Grahm will enter.
<Grahm> I heard the...Hrieffen Gaath was here. Everything all right?
* Grahm makes sure to enunciate the unfamiliar words.
<Eyllia> oh yes. Everything is fine. He was just checking up on his people afteer the ritual
<Grahm> From what I hear, they seem to be recovering fine.
<Grahm> And you? How're you feeling?
<Eyllia> that is good then.
<Eyllia> Was there something else you wanted, or were you worried I couldn't handle the Hrieffen?
<Grahm> What? No, I just, I know you can handle yourself fine.
<Grahm> I just hadn't spoken to you since the ritual, and...I was worried.
<Grahm> It was quite the working.
<Eyllia> yes... it was quite an experience, thats for sure
* Eyllia smiles
<Grahm> A good one then, I take it.
<Eyllia> nothing you would enjoy though, being rain and wind and all
<Grahm> It sounds...messy. -_-
<Eyllia> messy can still be good
* Eyllia smiles wryly
<Grahm> In the right context, certainly.
<Eyllia> and it has increased our reputation amongst our hosts by quite a bit, I would estimate
<Grahm> This, however, was a battle with an unknown enemy in an unfamiliar city, with an unfamiliar caster working an unknown ritual. That's a lot of 'uns'.
<Grahm> That's true.
* Grahm says thoughtfully.
<Eyllia> if you live youre life worrying about all the 'uns' in it, its not much of a life
<Eyllia> besides...
<Eyllia> I have you to worry about the 'uns'
<Grahm> Someone around here has to.
* Grahm smiles as he says that, though.
<Grahm> I'm glad you're safe Eyl...Captain. I don't want to take up...
* Meghan is now known as Lysa
<Eyllia> I know that's what you do, and even though I give you a hard time for it once in a while, I do appreciate you bringing them up
<Lysa> Leave her alone, Grahm. She beat the thing, let her rest or whatever.
* Lysa says from the door of your cabin, which she opened without knocking.
* Grahm looks over at Lysa and rolls his eyes.
<Grahm> (To Eyllia) Captain.
* Grahm nods and moves past Lysa.
<Eyllia> Is there anything else Grahm?
<Grahm> Nothing pressing. I'll make sure our guests are comfortable.
<Eyllia> thank you
* Eyllia will move to close the door behind Lysa
* Grahm gives a small smile and walks off.
<Lysa> What'd fussy-boulders want?
<Eyllia> just being his worrying self.
<Lysa> It's what you pay him for.
<Lysa> Or your mother does.
<Lysa> Does he get paid?
<Lysa> Do *we
* get paid?
<Eyllia> Last time I checked, that was a door, and people knock on the Captain's door before just walking in.
* Lysa will go to take a seat.
<Lysa> It was open?
<Lysa> Okay, well, it was unlocked.
<Eyllia> It doesn't look like your legs
* Lysa nods respectfully at that.
<Lysa> I'm sorry, did you want more time with Grahm?
* Eyllia colapses dramatically on top of her table
<Eyllia> Oh yes, more time with Grahm... I was almost asleep again
* Eyllia wraps her arms around herself
<Eyllia> what brings you by cousin?
<Lysa> You okay? You look...off.
* Eyllia rolls onto her side
<Eyllia> I was a storm cloud a few hours ago... it leaves one a little stretched afterward
<Eyllia> ... that and I had some rum to take the edge off
<Lysa> Any more around here?
* Eyllia eyes the standing chest
* Lysa will go to get herself some.
<Eyllia> I just feel so small
<Lysa> I feel like there's a response regarding your leg remark and being a little stretched...
<Lysa> It'll come to me.
<Lysa> You are small.
* Lysa says, deadpan.
* Eyllia rolls her eyes
<Eyllia> smaller?
<Lysa> Fair.
<Lysa> I hear that happens. This aeromancer I was...I knew could become a whirlwind. Said it felt strange coming back to himself after.
<Lysa> Like there was more of you and now there isn't again?
<Eyllia> oh and Korivan was here so you could pull a stretched remark off that likely... he is tall... and maybe proportional?
<Lysa> So not so much stretched now as you would like to be later?
* Lysa raises an eyebrow.
* Eyllia giggles
<Eyllia> that one has quite a bit to learn... but he is learning
<Lysa> You wanting to stick around to teach him?
* Eyllia flops back onto her back
<Eyllia> We should stick around to leverage all the good will we've earned
<Eyllia> and there is a victory celebration
<Lysa> Yes, there is that.
<Eyllia> it could be entertaining
<Lysa> Oh, I intend to make sure it is.
<Lysa> For me, at least.
<Eyllia> I stand... or at least lay for now, by my door comment
* Lysa shrugs.
<Lysa> Not really disputing it.
<Lysa> What can I say, I'm good with all types of swords.
<Eyllia> Oh Lysa! I'm tired, restless, and buzzing... what am I to do?
<Lysa> Well, I could stand some practice; real swords, not the other. Or we could make our way into town and see what kind of trouble we get into.
<Lysa> We were sent here as explorers.
<Eyllia> Yes! Exploration!
* Eyllia raises and arm in victory
* Eyllia hops up off the desk, pulling her toga into proper order
<Eyllia> Do you think if we got into a fight, it would be worth the effort?
<Lysa> Only one way to find out.
* Lysa will stand up, drain her drink, and head to the door.
<Lysa> Captain?
* Lysa holds the door open.
* Eyllia straps on her weapon belt
<Eyllia> Why thank you!

Malliel reports to Induriel on the Elven unit


* Malliel will want to track down Induriel after getting some medical attention following the dragon fight.
* Induriel is most likely back at the keep at this point, gathering reports & preparing for further rituals
<Malliel> Once again reporting for duty, my lord. I apologize for my absence.
* Malliel is more subdued than usual.
* Induriel nods
<Induriel> No matter - it was I who rushed off.
<Induriel> But what have you to report?
<Malliel> Little you don't already know, I believe.
<Induriel> (What have I heard?)
<Malliel> The dragon is dead, as are three of our elven counterparts. The goblin Hraal lives, the city is safe for the time being.
<Induriel> You escorted the Hraal Kraaz back from the field of battle, correct?
* Malliel nods.
<Malliel> He's crazy. He's good, but he's crazy.
<Malliel> Would have charged that thing alone if we hadn't rushed after him.
* Induriel shakes his head
<Malliel> Someone needed to bring him back, and it seemed the honorable thing to do.
<Induriel> These Hrieffen... well, I trust he appreciated it?
<Malliel> He was unconscious last I saw him.
<Malliel> I wasn't feeling so great myself.
* Induriel scans him for obvious wounds
<Induriel> Have you been attended to yourself?
* Malliel has a few bandages here and there, but seems unhindered.
<Malliel> The matron at the Raven Queen temple saw to me. They're pretty full.
* Induriel nods
<Induriel> I imagine they will be busy for some time.
<Malliel> And to think, the city just finished repairing the walls.
<Malliel> On the note of information you already have, I wanted to bring something up. More specific information, I guess.
<Induriel> Yes?
<Malliel> The elves aren't just a diplomatic corps.
<Malliel> They fought together too well. They're a unit of some kind. They've seen combat before, alongside each other.
* Induriel frowns
<Malliel> I suppose that could be what the rebels pass a diplomats, but it just seems suspicious.
<Malliel> They fought well and all, and some of them paid the price, but it seemed worth mentioning.
<Induriel> Oh, I think that the Traitor chose them with care.
* Malliel nods.
<Induriel> But to what end? I suppose they could be an assassination squad...
<Malliel> They can afford to take the long view, of course.
<Malliel> Wait for their chance.
<Malliel> I'm not sure.
<Induriel> What about their fighting style did you notice in particular?
<Malliel> The elves, provincials like most of the traitors, they don't fight like us. I've heard it called the "Thousand Heroes" style. Individual skill over unit tactics.
<Induriel> But this squad was different.
<Malliel> These...they fight like that, but all together. Setting each other up for attacks, one distracting, one striking.
<Malliel> I've only ever seen it among groups that have served together for a while. Veterans, kept as a unit.
<Malliel> A newer style, as it were.
<Induriel> And was it effective against the dragon?
<Malliel> Lethally so.
<Induriel> That is... disconcerting.
<Malliel> They might have lost a few more without the goblin's deathblow, but I think they would have killed it on their own, too.
<Induriel> Hmmm.
<Induriel> If they send to Vanilorra to replace the fallen, would the new recruits be similarly in sync with the rest of their unit? I imagine it may take time and practice for that, which we may be able to observe.
* Malliel nods.
<Induriel> (Under the terms of the treaty, would it be a violation for the Vanilorrans to be a crack military team? Or did the treaty just specify a limited number of diplomatic guards, without specifying that they had to be purely ceremonial?)
<Malliel> (I doubt there was anything in the treaty about how effective the guards could be, no.)
<Induriel> (No, I didn't think so. :/ )
<Induriel> Well, strictly speaking, I do not think this is a violation of the terms of the Vanilorra-Nesu Abamatu agreement.
<Induriel> Still, it is disquieting.
<Induriel> I take it the Traitor has a limited number of such squads?
<Induriel> Or has he been training up more and more of them?
<Malliel> I believe it's more common than it used to be, but I couldn't say for sure.
<Malliel> Maybe we can push for a bigger contingent here, just in case?
* Induriel frowns
<Induriel> I fear that Heri Mamitu may take that ill.
<Induriel> I already offered to bring in reinforcements, but she refused.
<Malliel> Why?
<Induriel> I'm afraid she's taken with this idea of putting aside old feuds, and with demonstrating that she is not a "puppet" of Aethrennar.
<Induriel> She did not want to establish too much of an Aethrennari presence here.
<Induriel> Though come to think of it, the issue was tabled rather than refused outright.
* Eyllia is now known as Eyllia_AFK
<Induriel> Perhaps now is a good time to raise it again.
* Malliel nods.
<Malliel> In any event, I just thought it worth noting.
<Induriel> I think I shall sound out Sahhiru first. If he agrees, that will carry weight.
<Induriel> In either case, they deserve to be warned - whether they take the warnings seriously or not.

Valtheriel reports to Induriel about their plans to introduce suitors to May


* Malliel is now known as Valtheriel
* Valtheriel will approach you the day of the dragon ritual, after you return to the keep.
<Valtheriel> My lord, is this a good time?
* Induriel nods
<Induriel> Certainly. What is the matter?
<Valtheriel> Certain of your plans have reached another stage. We've received interested responses from the families of two of our candidates for Heri Mamitu's hand.
* Valtheriel will produce letters for you.
<Induriel> Ah, excellent!
<Valtheriel> Arrived two days ago, apparently, but everyone has been occupied.
* Induriel smiles
* Induriel peruses the letters that Valtheriel has handed him
<Induriel> (I don't even remember the session number when I started this! :P )
<YOAW_Narrator> (9, apparently :))
<Valtheriel> Naina Roanne, mother of Fairë; and Oron Brescia, father of Eren; have both expressed interest in the match.
<Induriel> (Curses - the site is timing out on me)
<Induriel> Well, those are both positive developments. They do understand that we are in no position to promise anything, of course?
<Valtheriel> They seem perfectly cognizant of out standing here, and hope that a match might improve our kingdom's here and their House's back home.
<Valtheriel> (our standing, rather)
<Induriel> Excellent.
<Valtheriel> How would you like me to respond?
<Induriel> And what of the others? Have they replied with a refusal, or not replied as yet?
<Valtheriel> No replies as yet, my lord.
<Induriel> So Mahalma Limoges and Curu Monthois may yet show interest.
<Induriel> Still, I believe that Lord Faire and Lord Eren are excellent candidates.
<Induriel> Are they planning to visit?
<Valtheriel> They await your word.
<Induriel> Ah. I have a matter to discuss with Sahhiru, which may provide an excellent pretext for their coming here.
<Induriel> Let me try that approach. If it fails, we can still have them visit as private citizens.
<Valtheriel> Of course, my lord.
<Induriel> Either way, this is good news.
<Induriel> Was there anything else?
<Valtheriel> Not at the moment. I presumed you might want to rest after the ritual.
<Induriel> Very well. Thank you, Valtheriel - this news cheers me a great deal.
* Valtheriel will give a short bow and take her leave.

Solos

Laris brings Dianthea and Rufus to see his villa


* Laris_ is now known as Laris
* Dianthea (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Rufus_Metillius (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<YOAW_Narrator> So, when were you wanting to take them out to the villa?
<Laris> well, I'm not sure how it would fit in with other planned activities (talking more with Gladius, the party to celebrate not dying)
<Laris> but I would sort of assume it would be after talking to Gladius (since that probably wont' affect this scene) but before the party?
<Laris> like if we talk to Gladius for post-battle debriefing the following morning, then maybe Laris would take them out there in the afternoon? or something like that. He isn't necessarily planning to have them stay long this time, but depending on what they feel like he can adjust :)
<YOAW_Narrator> That works for me.
<Laris> cool
<Laris> I am assuming the party takes a bit of time to prepare, with needing repairs to the city and such, and also clearly we need to wait for Kraaz to be back on his feet :)
<YOAW_Narrator> *nod*
<YOAW_Narrator> Meeting up at the keep and riding out, I assume?
<Laris> yeah, that works for me
<Laris> and I would have had Calkas go out earlier (maybe in the morning) to get things ready
<Laris> make sure guest rooms are made up and there's food and so on ;)
<Laris> Calkas: I'm not even going to ask how many guest rooms, this is your problem to sort out. I'll make up 3 :p
<Laris> Laris: but I only have 2 guests.
<Laris> Calkas: I know.
<YOAW_Narrator> Hee
* Laris will lead the way, since the other two have no idea where we're going ;)
<Laris> It's a bit out of the way...
<Rufus_Metillius> Sort of the point, isn't it?
* Laris nods
<Dianthea> Besides, we get to see the countryside a bit.
<Laris> Yes... when the weather's nice, it can be a pleasant ride.
* Laris looks at the somewhat cloudy skies.
<Laris> At least it isn't raining.
<Dianthea> I usually like the rain, but, given the past few days...
<Laris> The seasons here are basically hot, and rainy. Those are the choices. Also it being rainy doesn't mean it's not also hot :)
<Rufus_Metillius> Going to take some getting used to no snow.
<Dianthea> Oh, I don't know. I can see what I can do.
* Laris smiles at that
* Dianthea smiles at Rufus and Laris.
<Laris> I had been meaning to ask - how are your families doing? I don't get a lot of news from home...
<Dianthea> Oh, well...
<Rufus_Metillius> They're doing...
<YOAW_Narrator> They both begin to speak at the same time.
* Laris smiles at that as well
* Rufus_Metillius motions for Dianthea to continue.
<Dianthea> They're well. Mother is still an auditor, father commands the 4th. Pris is out there with him right now.
* Laris nods
<YOAW_Narrator> (You'll recall that Vita Prisca is her oldest sister.)
<Laris> (cool)
<Laris> Where are they stationed?
<Dianthea> Romenor, in the Silver Forest.
* Laris nods
<YOAW_Narrator> (Gnomish and elven lands, on the far frontier for Thantopolis. Way west of the city, over the mountains.)
<Laris> Hopefully having a quiet time of it.
<Rufus_Metillius> Not from what I hear, but I'm sure Gnaeus knows what he's doing.
<Laris> Mm... I hope so.
<Dianthea> It has been...difficult, but, yes, my father has it in hand, I'm sure.
* Laris realizes that might sound like he doesn't think her father is competent :p
<Laris> I'm sure they will be fine. He certainly knows what he's doing.
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> You two weren't too far from there when you were with the 4th, no?
<Rufus_Metillius> A bit north, but, yeah.
<Laris> In that region, yes.
<Laris> It was always a challenging area to deal with.
<Rufus_Metillius> Pretty country, though.
<Laris> I had hoped it might have quieted down in the past few years, but I guess not.
* Laris nods to that
<Rufus_Metillius> Well, we're pushing further and further. The elves don't really consolidate well, and that good for us.
<Rufus_Metillius> If they got their...stuff together, we'd be in trouble.
* Laris nods
* Dianthea rolls her eyes.
<Dianthea> I've heard the word "shit," Rufus.
* Laris can't help a little laugh at that
* Rufus_Metillius laughs at that.
<Rufus_Metillius> Sorry, just trying to be polite.
<Dianthea> Honestly.
* Dianthea fake scowls at him.
<Laris> well you can take the soldier out of the shit, but not the shit out of the soldier :p
* Dianthea laughs at that.
<Rufus_Metillius> How many latrine ditches did we have to dig when we were younger? You know that's not true.
<Laris> It's true, that is a complete lie.
* Rufus_Metillius laughs.
<Laris> At least now when we need pits dug, I can have someone else do it :p
<Rufus_Metillius> The benefits of command.
* Dianthea smiles at Rufus and Laris's banter.
* Laris is feeling much more relaxed and happy than he has in ages, tbh
<Laris> What about your family, Rufus? Are they doing well?
<Rufus_Metillius> Well enough. Aelius and Marius are both up north with the Borean Fleet, Gallus is with your brother in the 5th, and Vitus just made centurion in the 1st.
<Laris> That's good news :)
<YOAW_Narrator> (These would be Rufus' 4 older brothers, with Vitus the oldest and Gallus the youngest. The 1st Legion is also the home guard of Thantopolis, a prestigious assignment.)
* Rufus_Metillius shrugs modestly.
<Rufus_Metillius> It's what we do.
<Laris> It's a prestigious post.
<Dianthea> Very much so, and you should be happier for your brother.
<Rufus_Metillius> I am, I just don't think we need to go crowing about it.
<Rufus_Metillius> The position speaks for itself.
* Rufus_Metillius still can't help smiling.
* Laris smiles
<Laris> This might be an odd question, and maybe you don't know, but... how are my family doing? I get a letter now and then, but you know... it isn't always easy to tell from letters.
<Dianthea> They're well, to my knowledge. Meria is a numeraria with the 5th, and your brother was recently named a magus with them.
* Rufus_Metillius nods.
* Laris nods
<Rufus_Metillius> Your father's pretty popular these days. The Tubae are certainly in favor right now.
<Laris> oh?
<YOAW_Narrator> (The Tubae are a pro-military political part of which Laris's father is a member.)
<Rufus_Metillius> Yeah, he's spoken repeatedly about the need to press our territories west as much as possible.
<Laris> I try to keep up with goings on at home, but by the time I get news it's probably out of date anyway. It's good to hear from someone who's been there, at least.
<Dianthea> It's been...chaotic these past years.
<Dianthea> Though still less so than here, I'm sure.
<Laris> Well... the politics here are not so complicated. I suppose they could have been, if I hadn't been willing to step aside for Domina Mamitu.
<Laris> There are crises to deal with, but they normally revolve around external issues, I suppose you could say.
<Dianthea> But dragons aren't a regular occurance, right?
* Dianthea says with a smile.
<Laris> Not in my time here, no.
<Rufus_Metillius> I believe I heard something about demons, too.
<Laris> But attacks from rival goblinoid tribes, or threats from other external forces, yes.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Before I was able to solidify our alliance with the Hrieffen, it was touch and go for a little while.
<Dianthea> And now?
<Laris> They have been strong forces to keep the lands around the city safe. My own troops were able to defend Nesu Abamatu itself, but never enough to also fortify the countryside.
* Dianthea nods.
<Laris> The Hrieffen have managed to subdue the most immediate threats, but it also means they are now coming into conflict with some of the other neighbouring tribes as they consolidate their territory. We shall see what comes of that.
<Rufus_Metillius> Is that a concern, or an opportunity for expansion?
<Laris> It can be both.
<Laris> For myself, I am satisfied with keeping the city under control and safe for trade. What the Hrieffen do at the borders is, to some extent, their business, although I'll support them where I can, because they're our allies. I don't have a strong desire to expand our holdings when they can do it for us and we can reap the financial benefits.
<Laris> They don't have a city of their own - they need ours, now that they've seen the benefits it can provide them.
* Rufus_Metillius nods.
<Rufus_Metillius> Makes sense.
<Rufus_Metillius> I'm glad your here to make those distinctions. I think I would be right there with, ah, what's his name, Kravan? Cravat? Anyway, pushing the expansion.
<Rufus_Metillius> I'm just a soldier at heart.
* Laris smiles
<Dianthea> Kraaz, Rufus. Or maybe Korivan. I'm not sure which one you mean.
<Laris> To be honest I had a hard time with their names at first too - I had been dealing with their predecessors in the positions, and then suddenly they were dead and these ones shows up. They're competent, despite their young ages.
<Laris> (showed up)
<Dianthea> They are that. Korivan can't be more than, what 20?
<Laris> I have a hard time judging their ages. They grow up quickly. I think he's younger than 20. Probably 16 or 17?
<Laris> They're both young for their roles, I believe, but crisis forced them into it, and they've handled it well.
<Dianthea> That speaks well of them.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Anyway, Kraaz is the Hraal - the fighting chief - and Korivan is the Gaath, like their spiritual leader I suppose you could say. They share power but each defers to the other in their realms of expertise.
<Dianthea> Interesting.
<Rufus_Metillius> And they're both pushing to expand, you think?
<Laris> I think they will, because they're young and ambitious, and they've come off several strong victories. I hope they won't bite off more than they can chew, though.
<Dianthea> I suppose that's what allies are for?
* Laris nods
<Dianthea> What about Mamitu? Is she looking to expand her influence?
<Laris> They aren't, hmm, violent for the sake of it - if they can peel off some of the smaller tribes and bring them onto their side, they'll do that. I've seen it happen before.
<Laris> To be quite honest... May barely wants to be here at all >.> I think she is coming around to the idea, but she is young and not particularly devoted to being a ruler.
<Dianthea> Oh?
<Laris> She is bright, and skilled at magic, but she's still learning how to govern.
<Laris> It's the main reason I've stayed thus far - to try and help make a smooth transition of power.
<Laris> I have hopes that she'll grow into the position.
<Laris> She has the benefit of not being bound by the past - she's willing to move forward and make new alliances that will benefit the city.
<Dianthea> That sounds wise. No need to keep old grudges that aren't hers.
<Rufus_Metillius> Wait, you were thinking of not staying? I got the impression the Senate was asking you to stay.
<Laris> (had I had any letters or instructions telling me to stay?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Not that you've seen.)
<Laris> I hadn't had any instructions to indicate that.
<Dianthea> They were? I didn't hear anything about it.
<Rufus_Metillius> Yeah, I got the impression it was kind of a formality.
<Rufus_Metillius> They assumed you'd take it just to keep your investment.
<Rufus_Metillius> Huh, strange.
<Laris> But... I suspect I'm not always receiving instructions. I don't know if it's that they're being intercepted or lost in transit or ...
* Laris shrugs a bit
<Rufus_Metillius> I guess messages, and ships, go awry...
* Laris nods
<Laris> I hope that maybe with the new fleets that have arrived recently, we can bargain with some of them to patrol our waters more regularly.
<Laris> If some of them are wanting to stick around longer and use our port, it only seems a fair trade.
<YOAW_Narrator> (I think we can say y'all are within sight of the villa?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Also, I'll brb, bio)
<Laris> (okay)
* Laris gestures to the villa up ahead, as we crest a hill and can finally see it.
<Laris> There it is :)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Did you have any reference for what it looks like?)
<Laris> (I imagine it's pretty nice, with trees around it for shade, etc. Villa-of-the-Mysteries-Wealthy-Roman-Suburban-Lifestyle-Outside-Pompeii-1st-century-AD-3093.jpg maybe? except I think I've also said that it's near the cliffs that drop down into the ocean, so something like that but with an ocean view ;)
<YOAW_Narrator> (*nod*)
<Laris> (courtyard, pools, columns, mosaics, etc.. he's had it done up nice :)
<Dianthea> Oh, Laris, it's beautiful.
* Laris smiles
<Rufus_Metillius> Not too bad.
* Rufus_Metillius says with a smile.
<Laris> I hope you'll like it as much inside.
<YOAW_Narrator> The three of you can finish your ride to the castle, Rufus and Dianthea asking some questions about the villa's construction and the surrounding land.
* Laris will answer in detail :)
<YOAW_Narrator> Servants will be ready to take your horses, and Calkas will be standing by if you need anything.
<Laris> Well... shall I show you around?
* Laris asks them once we've dismounted
<Laris> Or do you want to have a chance for refreshments first?
<Dianthea> I want to see everything. :)
<Laris> certainly :)
* Rufus_Metillius motions Laris to lead on.
* Laris will gladly show them around - taking them around through the library, the dining room, showing them where the bedrooms are, of course the baths...
<Rufus_Metillius> Rather expansive for one, no?
<Laris> Well... yes.
<Rufus_Metillius> Didn't think you'd be one for guests.
<Laris> I didn't know what the situation would be when I had it built. I suppose I overestimated the need for extra rooms and hosting parties and so on.
<Dianthea> Well, better to be prepared.
<Dianthea> And, who knows, maybe you can now with all your allies.
<Dianthea> If you want to.
* Dianthea adds quickly.
* Laris smiles a bit at that
<Laris> I hope that it will be less empty in the future.
<YOAW_Narrator> They'll both smile at that.
<Dianthea> I suppose you'll still have to spend much of your time in the city if you take Mamitu's offer.
<Laris> Well... quite a bit, yes. But the ride out here isn't so bad.
<Rufus_Metillius> It's nice in and of itself.
* Laris nods
<Rufus_Metillius> Though maybe less so in the heat.
<Rufus_Metillius> ;)
* Laris smiles
<Laris> That's why there's a cold bath :)
<Dianthea> Oh, I plan to take full advantage of that.
<Laris> If I take the offer, I want to try to make sure that I have a more... hmm, reasonable balance of duties.
<Dianthea> And I won't even need to use my mark.
<Rufus_Metillius> Oh?
<Laris> I know that it will still be a lot of work - and we never know what will happen.
<Dianthea> At least you can share your burdens now.
<Laris> But I want to be able to have time for my... myself, and my companions.
* Laris doesn't quite say 'family' yet as maybe that's not appropriate yet >.>
* Rufus_Metillius will walk over to take Laris' hand.
<Rufus_Metillius> I'm happy to have time at all.
* Dianthea smiles at that.
<Laris> it's a change from the army, isn't it :)
* Dianthea makes a happy little squeal and rushes to hug Rufus and Laris together.
<Dianthea> Sorry, couldn't be helped.
* Dianthea says, still hugging.
* Rufus_Metillius laughs.
* Laris smiles and puts his free arm around her
* Rufus_Metillius does the same.

Laris talks to May about the offered position


* Laris will seek out May, finding her at the ... archery range???
* May is holding a fancy looking, but otherwise normal bow, attempting to hit a few medium range targets. She seems to be decently trained but maybe a bit rusty.
* Laris will wait until she's not in the middle of firing before approaching. Just in case.
<May> (lol)
<Laris> Domina Mamitu, may I speak to you for a moment?
* May will turn and smile at seeing you.
<May> Oh hey, Laris. Of course.
<May> What's up?
* May will set the bow and quiver aside
<Laris> I have considered your offer and wished to discuss it.
<May> Oh! Right. Do you have some concerns?
<Laris> I would say rather that I have some ... stipulations, if I am to accept it.
<May> Ok. What stipulations?
<Laris> With the arrival of Dianthea Lucilla, I will have increased obligations to her. This work can become all-consuming if some checks are not put in place, as I well know. I would wish therefore to ensure that I have sufficient time for ... for personal business.
* May nods.
<May> That's easy enough.
<May> I'll just kick you out the door on the weekends.
* May grins.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Obviously in the event of an emergency, I will remain.
<Laris> And, in discussing the prospect of remaining here with Dianthea, she also noted that she will need something to occupy her time. I have proposed some options to her, but if you have any suggestions as well, perhaps you might consider speaking to her about them.
<May> Oh, I'm sure we can find a place for her. Maybe we can find her something to do around the keep so you guys can be closer. Besides, I'd love to have her around the keep more often.
* Laris nods
<May> I'll make a point to talk to her about it.
<Laris> Very well.
<May> Is that all?
<Laris> I would also wish to be assured that Kadanu is not ... troubled or offended by this decision. To ensure that we can work together satisfactorily.
* May nods.
<May> I can speak to Kadanu if you want and let them know. I had been waiting o say anything until you accepted. Perhaps you might want to arrange a meeting yourself.
<Laris> Very well.
<Laris> In that case, although we can work out the details, I provisionally accept your offer.
* May smiles.
<May> Great! I'm sure uncle will say we need to have a big ceremony of some kind, and we'll work all that out after the party. Or hey... maybe we can make it part of the party!
<May> After all, you did have a hand in killing the dragon
* Laris gives a modest 'ah it was nothing' nod.
<Laris> I also wished to... ah... when you have time, that is... perhaps after the celebration... invite you and a few others to my villa. For... a dinner party.
* Laris has to force those last few words out :p
* May looks nonplussed for a moment and then smiles.
<May> Oh! Ummm... Of course!
<May> I mean, that sounds wonderful
<May> I've never been out to your villa before. I hear it's beautiful.
* Laris nods
<Laris> We can make arrangements for that later, then.
* May nods
<Laris> I won't keep you from your practice any longer. Please continue - and keep your draw hand higher.
* May laughs.
<May> I don't suppose you want to shoot a few rounds? Show me how it's done?
<Laris> Ah... I suppose I could.
* Laris will do that, then.
* May will grin and offer you the bow.