Diablotin 3 session 21

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 21 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: September 13, 2015
Diablotin date:

Prologue

<DiablotinNarrator> A few days have passed since the extraction of Jean-Faust Romilly and the Flower Queen via Raimond Neherin's dream. The fey woman is being kept in safekeeping at the Orecalo home, while Jean-Faust has been subject to observation by experts in mind-affecting magics, and questioning about his actions.

<DiablotinNarrator> (where 'experts' mainly = San and Alma)

<DiablotinNarrator> While Princess Ilphere might have wished to keep this matter rather low-key by bringing the fey woman to her friend Sanadhil's house, too many people now know about what is going on for it to be completely hushed up.

<DiablotinNarrator> The Princess has therefore agreed to keep those of you who were involved in the excursion in the loop as far as what may be determined from the questioning, and indeed, once it has been determined that she doesn't pose a direct threat to health or security, you may be allowed to speak with her (under supervision).

<DiablotinNarrator> However, the risks to the security of the Empire, and the potential of what could be learned from the two escapees from the First World, all but require that other powerful people be brought into the affair...

Aubrienne brings Jean-Faust home

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, after your brother has been poked and prodded by scholars and generals and the like, you are finally allowed to take him home to your parents...

  • Jean-Faust has been determined to not *currently* be under the affects of any charms or compulsions, at any rate.

<Aubrienne> (Where has he been staying?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (at the Orecalo house)

<DiablotinNarrator> (which is in Rhenea, near the Down)

  • Aubrienne will go pick him up

<Aubrienne> You feeling up to this?

  • Jean-Faust seems subdued, but all right

<Jean-Faust> yeah. I want to see them... I mean I need to do it sometime, right?

<Aubrienne> I know all this must have been - and likely still is - pretty overwhelming.

<Aubrienne> But their just going to be happy you're home safe.

<Jean-Faust> They - the professor anyway - think my memory was changed. Maybe I don't even remember things right, like how I got there, or what happened after...

  • Aubrienne stifles a worried look.

<Aubrienne> How do they think that happened?

  • Aubrienne tries to ask neutrally.

<Jean-Faust> Magic... I guess there's spells that can do that, I dunno.

<Jean-Faust> Or maybe it's some effect of that place.

<Jean-Faust> Aubrienne... how can I trust anything anymore?

<Aubrienne> Were there people there other than Eirlys?

<Aubrienne> Well, you can trust me.

<Aubrienne> And we're going home, and you can trust Mama and Papa.

  • Jean-Faust nods slowly

<Jean-Faust> okay

<Aubrienne> I know it's rough right now, but it will be okay.

<Aubrienne> (Have they been letting him and Eirlys see each other?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (for brief periods, under observation, yes)

<Aubrienne> Have you talked to her about it?

<Aubrienne> Eirlys, I mean.

<Jean-Faust> no...

<Jean-Faust> how do you ask someone you love... you thought loved you... if they changed your memories and manipulated your feelings and...

  • Jean-Faust starts to cry
  • Aubrienne hugs him

<Aubrienne> It's okay, bratic.

<Aubrienne> Let's just take it one thing at a time.

  • Aubrienne will try to get him into the car
  • Jean-Faust seems fairly overwhelmed by the noise and number of people around outside, even though it's just average morning traffic for this neighbourhood.
  • Jean-Faust goes where you take him, though.

<DiablotinNarrator> I assume you've told your parents that you got him back, so this isn't a total surprise for them... they have been waiting impatiently for the chance to see him.

  • Aubrienne will head home, trying to keep conversation light, just neighborhood gossip, etc.

<Aubrienne> (Yeah, I figured we'd set this up with them)

<DiablotinNarrator> (*nod*)

  • Ethaine and Albaric come out onto the steps, despite the cold weather, as soon as they hear your car pull up
  • Aubrienne will give Jean-Faust an encouraging smile and step out of the car.
  • Jean-Faust follows behind you
  • Ethaine can't wait, and runs over to embrace him

<Ethaine> oh my baby, you're back, you're safe!

  • Jean-Faust hugs her back
  • Albaric comes over as well, standing there a bit awkwardly to get his chance to hug his son

<Albaric> is everything all right?

  • Albaric asks you, Aubrienne

<Aubrienne> There are some issues, but I think he'll be okay. He's been through a lot.

  • Albaric nods
  • Ethaine will usher you all back into the house, where they've got a big breakfast prepared, and where they will probably ask a lot of the same questions you've already heard JF answer, which he manages to handle all right.
  • Jean-Faust will stay with them for the time being, and they'll make sure he's looked after
  • Aubrienne is content to let him answer things, but is ready to jump in if it looks like JF is getting shaky.

<Aubrienne> (Sounds good:))

Dorien has a job interview

<DiablotinNarrator> Dorien, you have a job interview set up thanks to your father's pulling strings with old acquaintances etc, at the Capdeville rubber plant.

<DiablotinNarrator> The owner, Mme. Marita Capdeville, will see you personally.

<Dorien> (Cool)

  • Dorien will show up dressed in a nice suit.
  • Marita greets you when you arrive for the interview. She is a trim, middle-aged, well-dressed woman with brown hair and a friendly smile, and she offers you her hand.

<Marita> Good afternoon, M. Voclain. It's so nice to meet you.

  • Dorien will take her hand lightly. It's a pleasure to meet you, Mme. Capedeville.

<Dorien> Thank you for seeing me.

<Marita> I get so restless sitting down for interviews - how about if I take you on a walk around the plant while we talk?

<Dorien> That sounds wonderful, thank you.

<Marita> And, it was no trouble at all - I'm always glad to do a favour for an old friend like your father.

<Marita> How is he, by the way?

<Dorien> He's doing well, all things considered. He's stubborn enough that it'll take a lot more than that to slow him down much.

  • Marita chuckles

<Marita> Yes, that sounds like Jerry :)

<Dorien> If I might ask, how are you and my father acquainted?

<Marita> We were at school together, many many years ago.

  • Dorien nods.

<Marita> Anyhow - please, let me show you around.

<Dorien> Yes, of course. I'm eager to see the plant.

  • Marita will lead you on a tour, talking a mile a minute about everything you see. She doesn't seem to be merely a hands-off owner, but apparently has a direct knowledge of everything that goes on in her company.

<Dorien> (Does she seem like the type to be a micromanager?)

  • Marita seems like she would definitely want to be kept up to speed about things that are going on, although she isn't a chemist and might not understand the very technical details.

<Marita> But I've been chattering on for too long... tell me about yourself?

<Dorien> Oh, of course... Well, I studied alchemy and chemistry under Mme. Julienne Sormet. After that I went to work at the Valent Munitions plant. Mme Capdeville, I don't know how much my father has told you, but... I want to be completely honsest with you if I'm going to work with you. There was... an accident. A very nasty one, actually.

  • Marita nods

<Marita> I've heard about it, but of course I'd want to hear your side of the story.

<Dorien> It was... there's not a day that's gone by since then that I don't blame myself for it. I wonder if there was anything I could have done differently. Why I'm still here and others aren't. But... it's been brought to my attention that I can't live in the shadow of it forever. I'd like to try again, and I'd be honored if you gave me that opportunity.

  • Marita nods

<Marita> I try to run a very safe, efficient operation here. But even then, accidents can happen.

<Marita> You seem like you've dwelled on this for a long time.

  • Dorien nods.

<Marita> If you're going to work here, I'll need you to put that fear of making a mistake again behind you. You don't make great advances when you're overly cautious.

<Marita> But I think that this experience... terrible as it was... can also make you a wonderful employee, if you let it.

<Dorien> You... do?

<Marita> Yes, absolutely.

<Marita> I don't think anyone has as much care and concern for his fellow workers as someone who has seen first-hand what can go wrong.

<Dorien> I... I can promise you that I will do my best. It's not something I'd ever care to see again.

<Marita> Then, if you wish, we can go back to my office and draw up a contract, M. Voclain.

  • Dorien me lets out a breathe he didn't realize he was holding in.

<Dorien> Thank you, Mme. Capdeville.

  • Marita smiles and will escort you back to the office, then.

Hugo answers a booty call

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo, in the aftermath of the excursion into the First World, you receive a phone call

  • Hugonel answers.

<Hugonel> Hello?

<Dasra> hello, Hugo...

  • Dasra sounds upset

<Hugonel> Dasra, my dear, how are you?

<Dasra> I... I just need to talk to someone.

<Hugonel> Of course. I'm always here to listen.

<Hugonel> What's the matter?

<Dasra> I just don't understand.

<Dasra> After everything that's happened, why haven't they been able to help Raimond?

<Hugonel> I don't know. It may just be a matter of time.

<Hugonel> Have you talked to Lathra since we got back?

<Dasra> Everyone is so busy...

<Dasra> I feel like all I do is bother them.

<Hugonel> I'll grant you that Princess Ilphere ... well, she's brilliant, and absolutely the best person to get to the bottom of this, but her strength isn't in thinking about people.

<Hugonel> It's more about the mystery of it, the scientific curiosity.

<Hugonel> The fact that there's a human soul affected by it is not her principal concern.

<Dasra> He's going to die, isn't he. No one wants to say it to me, but I know that's what they think.

<Hugonel> I don't know the answer to that. I hope not. Lathra, I know, cares, and hopes not.

<Hugonel> If I knew what to do, I'd do it. If I even knew who to talk to, I'd do it.

<Dasra> Nobody knows what to do, that's the problem. Nobody's ever seen something like this.

<Hugonel> Perhaps ... perhaps Sirris could help. I don't know.

<Dasra> What do you think he could do?

<Hugonel> I don't know. But he spent a long, long time trapped in another world. And he ... well, he has helped more than one person who was deeply troubled, in their time of greatest need.

<Dasra> mm.

  • Dasra makes a noncommittal noise

<Dasra> Will you come over, Hugo?

<Hugonel> Of course. I can be over in ... less than an hour.

<Dasra> Fine, that will give me time to get at least tipsy ;p

  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> I'll see you shortly.

<Dasra> all right

  • Hugonel heads over ... making sure to check his hair first.
  • Dasra is true to her word, and has obviously had a couple of drinks by the time you get there

<Hugonel> Hello, Dasra darling.

<Dasra> don't call me that... please. don't make it worse than it has to be.

<Hugonel> Very well, Mme. Neherin. Is there a drink for me too?

  • Dasra smacks you in the chest, but will pour you a drink.

<Dasra> not that either

<Hugonel> I shall endeavor to be as well-behaved as you see fit.

<Dasra> I just want someone who's awake and knows who I am and ... and can hold me, and...

<Dasra> and I'm going to hate myself later but I don't care anymore

<Hugonel> Are you sure you want this?

<Dasra> no but I'm sure I can't go on like this anymore either

  • Dasra grips the edge of the drinks cabinet with white-knuckled fingers

<Hugonel> You're a good person, Dasra. Through and through. It's not wrong to despise solitude.

  • Hugonel sips his drink.

<Dasra> he was gone for three years... and I thought when he came back, things would be all right again, but they weren't, and they won't ever be.

<Hugonel> Maybe not. These things are not for us to say. I used to think there was a Plan ... but that's not right either.

<Hugonel> If Raimond were to be back, all of a sudden, to his old self, tomorrow, things *still* wouldn't be the same as they were.

<Dasra> but they'd be better... they could get better again. not like this, where it goes on and on and I'm trapped here ...

<Hugonel> You're doing everything you can for him. But you need to do for *yourself*, not just him.

<Dasra> I wanted to have a baby... we wanted to... Even if he got better, now, it could be too late.

  • Hugonel pauses.

<Hugonel> I can't give you the life you wanted to have, Dasra. I'm not that man. But I am here for you, always.

<Dasra> I know you can't

<Dasra> if I thought you could have, I'd have married you fifteen years ago.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Dasra> Just... do what you're good at, Hugo.

<Hugonel> We were so young.

<Dasra> help me forget for a little while.

  • Hugonel smiles and kisses her.

Zola chats with Justen at the Orecalo residence

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, on to Zola...

<DiablotinNarrator> This and the next several scenes are going to be at the Orecalo house, as people wait around to get to talk to the Flower Queen and/or hear updates, etc.

<DiablotinNarrator> Zola, I know you didn't really want to interrogate her, but you're hoping you might have a chance to talk to her, or failing that, at least hear what those who have talked to her have learned

  • Zola is impressed by the ebb and flow of important folk but does her best not to let it show @_@
  • Zola is a star after all ^_^

<DiablotinNarrator> Other people are there, it's quite busy - both people who were involved in the extraction directly, and people you haven't met before, including some who are probably just part of the Orecalo family rather than directly involved in this business (e.g. probably the little 10-year-old girl isn't involved, but just wants a snack ;p)

  • Zola is dressed well, to make a good impression with our fey 'guest', if she gets to meet her.
  • Zola waves at her with a smile :D

<DiablotinNarrator> Xandhil Orecalo pays a visit, along with a rather good-looking red-haired man it takes you a moment to recognize. The .. friend? boyfriend? whatever? will hang out in the kitchen where you are.

<DiablotinNarrator> And after a moment you can figure out where you recognize him from - Ysabeau had pictures of him on her walls, no doubt ;)

<Justen> Hi there :)

  • Zola breaks out in a smile as she recognises him.

<Zola> Well we finally meet.

  • Zola reaches out her hand. "Zola"

<Justen> How is it possible that we haven't met? I'm sure I've run into all the beautiful women in this town at one point or another :)

  • Justen takes your hand to give it a kiss

<Zola> Just as charming as she assured me.

<Justen> Oh dear... is someone gossiping about me?

<Zola> I imagine no one in the city sings your praises any more than her.

<Justen> Well then, it must be my mother.

<Zola> Bingo :)

<Zola> You'd have met me sooner if you weren't galavanting about all the time... I had quite a few lessons with her.

<Justen> Oh, so are you a singer?

<Justen> You don't seem like the sort to play the harp or something so demure ;)

  • Zola grins broadly

<Zola> I imagine I could make the harp a little more exciting than that... but no, singing's my passion :)

  • Justen smiles back

<Justen> I feel sure I've seen you perform before... now, where was it...

<Justen> Oh! Did you used to work at Lollipop?

<Zola> (I imagine she knows that Justen and Xan are a thing from the other Oliviers )?)

<Zola> Oh dear, you caught me ^_^

  • Justen chuckles

<Zola> It's true, I wasn't always a respectable jazz singer :)

<Zola> Tits convinced me I should aim a little higher though...

<Justen> It's all coming back now... well, bits and pieces, anyway.

  • Zola quirks a brow

<DiablotinNarrator> (seems likely, yes)

<Justen> I admit sometimes my memories of those nights are a bit hazy ;)

<Zola> Well, what's important is that you had fun.

<Justen> Oh, absolutely.

<Justen> Say, are you the same Zola who was seeing Noren Errazuris? I can't imagine there are two beautiful jazz singers of that name :)

<Zola> Well, you and your boy should come see my new act sometime. Titania does know how to put on a good show.

<Zola> Ah... yes, you know Noren?

<Justen> We work together.

<Zola> Oh, that's right, you're a lawyer too!

<Justen> Occasionally I try to drag him out to a club or something ;)

<Zola> Not always the easiest thing.

<Zola> How's he been?

<Justen> Hard at work. Burying himself in it, actually, if I had to say...

<Zola> Maybe you can get one of your bosses to order him to the clubs with you?

  • Justen laughs

<Zola> Mandatory relaxation time.

<Justen> He could definitely use that.

<Zola> Well, let him know I say Hi.  :)

<Justen> Will do

  • Justen knows better than to ask why you're here - his in-laws' guests are often... unusual ;)
  • Zola sips her drink, wishing it was something a little stronger

<Zola> Busy place the past few days >_>

<Zola> Nice kitchen though?

<Justen> Yeah. My father-in-law must be going mental with all these people in his house.

<Zola> Oh? That's the professor?

<Justen> Yeah

<Zola> Bookish type, is he?

<Justen> He likes having his own space, and quiet to do his work. But I think under circumstances like this, he realizes that isn't going to happen.

<Justen> He probably escapes to his office at the Castalia for a few hours when he can't take it anymore

<Zola> I just hope they figure out what's going on soon... it's all a little scary.

<Justen> Were you, ah, involved in the whole... thing?

  • Justen waves a hand to encompass many possible 'things'

<Zola> Well, some of it... after my friend Hugo and I had some run-ins with some fey at a dinner party, we tried to learn a bit more and that's when we were pointed to your boy... he had all the books out in his mother's name :)

<Justen> heh

<Zola> And, well, Aubrienne's a friend, so we felt we should try to help her find her brother... so we were in on that as well.

<Justen> That must have been quite a dinner party.

<Zola> Yeah @_@

<Zola> We're pretty sure we were the only humans there.

<Justen> Welcome to our house >.>

<Zola> Yeah, I have noticed that :D

<Justen> But really - I know it's probably weird here. If there's anything I can do to help make you more comfortable, just let me know.

  • Zola smiles, "Ysabeau sure raised a gentleman." :)

<Justen> Well, she did her best :) any errors in deportment or good taste are my own.

<Zola> I grew up in Ariège, which isn't nearly as colourful as Diablotin... it's just a surprise sometime to think that your tailor might be a fey in disguise. But it's not bad, variety is the spice of life, after all :)

  • Justen is happy to sit and chat with you, keeping you occupied :)
  • Zola finds her flirt again, before long, but behaves for the most part, since he's spoken for :3

Argent meets Reverend Mother Alma at the Orecalo residence

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent, you are also lurking around the Orecalo home, probably also feeling sort of out of place. All these powerful and important people...

<DiablotinNarrator> Alma, do you want to lurk and stare at him for a bit, or just come straight over and sit on the couch with him? ;)

  • Alma will *of course* observe him briefly
  • Argent keeps his outward appearance calm, despite any out of place feelings

<Alma> .oO( Oh how adorable :3 )

  • Argent also makes sure he knows where everyone in the room is and any imepediments to escape... but thats just natural.

<Argent> . o O (hope this is worth it)

  • Alma will stand and smooth out her robes before heading over, a glass of refreshments in hand.

<Alma> Good day, M. Lundi.

  • Alma smiles, waiting for him to stand so she can shake his hand.

<Argent> Oh, good day. You seem to have me at a disadvantage? Have we met?

  • Argent will stand and be polite

<Alma> I don't believe we've met, no, but our paths have come quite close before.

  • Argent puts on an expression of confusion

<Alma> Oh, come now... relax.

<Argent> So you say, but I can't imagine where, and I am good with faces. Is there something I can do for you?

  • Alma quirks a brow.

<Alma> You ought to be able to name a Reverend Mother or two, no?

<Argent> I'm sure the nun's who raised me would be embarased, but it's not something I've really kept up on.

  • Argent quickly eyes the room

<Alma> Well, then, I'm Alma de Béziers, Reverend Mother of Owl.

<Argent> Oh gee, I'm so sorry for a fool, Reverend Mother.

  • Argent reddens a shade
  • Alma will find a seat near him.

<Argent> Jean Lundi, but I think you knew that all ready.

<Alma> Yes, I did :)

  • Argent sits with a nervous appearance

<Alma> It's nice to meet you.

<Argent> You too, I never expected to meet a Reverend Mother, and so openly as well.

<Argent> Is there anything I can help you with Mother?

<Alma> I've never been the best at not being open, so I tend to forego the effort.

<Alma> Oh, I'd like to hear about your adventure with the Princess into that poor man's dream.

<Argent> Ah yes, it was quite an adventure, but I'm always glad to help a friend in need

  • Alma nods approvingly

<Alma> (What IS your bluff by the way?)

<Argent> (oh +13... I can boost it too, but I'm not trying to fool you really, just everyone else)

<Alma> (Is there anyone else in the immediate vicinity, Julie?)

<Argent> Surely you've heard the details from others, and I'm not nearly as observant or schooled as they are.

<DiablotinNarrator> (well, the house is fairly crowded, but I'll say you can have the room to yourself for the moment anyway)

<Alma> Oh, don't be so modest. I hear you're quite clever.

<Argent> alas the schooled part is true... I'll try to be brief...

  • Argent ensures the room is empty and will quickly go over the events.
  • Alma lets out a sigh at the mention of Ilphere's monstrosity.

<Argent> I'll be passing along a more detailed acount soon.

  • Argent says when he finishes

<Alma> I look forward to reading it.

<Argent> Being blunt, but is the Princess Imperial the best person to be involved in the investigation?

<Argent> I know she is very skilled, but her attitude is worrisome

  • Alma smiles a bit, as much for the bluntness as in amusement over the topic.

<Alma> The reality is that some people simply can't be put by the wayside.

  • Argent nods accepting the answer

<Alma> Besides, she is terrible clever, for all the inherent problems in catching her attention.

<Alma> (terribly)

<Argent> Is there anything else I can be of help with Mother?

<Alma> Oh, no, I'm mostly here to have a chat. I'm not so impatient I can't wait for the full story :)

<Argent> Well then, I'm sure you've heard about some of the encounters with the fae in the city.

  • Argent will continue

<Argent> some of the poorer areas are not as well protected by the guards as others.

<Alma> Yes, of course.

  • Alma nods

<Alma> A problem not unique to this issue.

<Argent> so some of the House Rat families have been trying to organize our own patrols, to try and help keep people safe.

<Alma> That's a very good idea.

<Alma> Have you run into any malevolent fey on these patrols?

<Argent> it is except that there not well equiped, or even well trained, and have limited resources to help people even after they've been extracted from any problems.

  • Alma considers

<Argent> I understand it may not be something that the church can help with, but I feel I would be remise if I didn't at least bring it up, since we're chatting.

<Argent> as for encounters with the fae, I've had my own personal encounters... as for any of the patrols, I've been a little distracted to keep up on current events there.

<Argent> Dream traveling and all

<Alma> Certainly the Church should assist in keeping the city safe... but something so disorganized... I worry that we might get some people into more trouble than they can handle.

<Argent> you may be right, but thier heart is in the right place, and thier actions are better than doing nothing. It's not like there is an end in sight for this.

<Alma> It is a difficult situation. And you're certainly right about their intentions and about doing nothing.

<Alma> I'll consider what we might be able to do to help.

<Argent> thats all that I can ask

  • Alma smiles

<Alma> Now, tell me about your work at the Cabaret, how is that going?

<Argent> It's fine. There are some interesting moments, but most of the time its mundane.

<Argent> Have you ever been hunting?

<Alma> As is day to day life. Every day can't be a trip to the First World?

<Alma> Oh, yes, not in some time though. I went with my late father a few times when I was young, in Béziers.

<Argent> I look at it that way... stalking really ends up being a lot of quietly waiting. Patience and vigilance.

<Alma> Patience is a necessity, yes... even if only for your sanity. At worst bad timing can ruin everything.

<Alma> To be honest, it isn't really my thing, hunting. I'm more interested in observing... animals in the wild can be quite beautiful, and the experience so serene.

<Argent> There was one, called Val, a companion of Azarea vas Andras one night.

  • Alma quirks a brow at Azarea's name

<Argent> You know the name?

  • Alma chuckles. "You'd expect me not to know the vak Andras children?"
  • Argent shrugs

<Argent> not really my social circle

<Argent> Something will need to be done about the one calling himself Val.

<Alma> Their grandmother was instrumental in the restoration of Serpent, and they carry on her degenerate cult.

<Alma> You suspect he's an outsider?

<Argent> His aura was palpable and evil.

<Argent> so yes, I suspect

<Alma> Well, it certainly couldn't be a surprise for one of them to be consorting with a demon or the like... we'll have to look into it.

<Argent> If there is action taken, I'd like to be involved.

<Alma> Hmm, well of course the depends on what sort of problem this Val represents.

<Alma> (that)

<Alma> But I'll keep you in mind.

  • Alma is honest, but noncommittal.

<Argent> thank you

<Alma> Well, it has been a pleasure meeting you, M. Lundi.

<Argent> The honor has been mine, Mother.

  • Argent bows his head in respect
  • Alma smiles a bit awkwardly, "Reverend Mother" is how it usually goes.

<Alma> Thank you for your hard work :)

<Argent> My appologies

  • Alma make her way back to the kitchen

<Alma> Oh, no offense taken, M. Lundi.

Lathra meets and converses with Dozilva

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra, you also are lingering around the Orecalo household. The lady of the house, Dozilva do Baru, is a well-known figure in the SK community, as one of the, if not *the* first immigrants to arrive on this plane.

  • Dozilva pays particular attention to you, and will offer you a cup of tea (speaking in SK with you, naturally)

<Lathra> (sk) I would love one, thank you Madam

  • Dozilva smiles

<Dozilva> <sk> You haven't been here too long, I guess?

<Lathra> <sk> Well... not *very* long, no. A couple of years...

  • Dozilva nods

<Dozilva> <sk> Are you settling in well?

<Lathra> <sk> I'd say so... yes, I think so.

  • Dozilva asks, pouring your tea, and one for herself as well

<Dozilva> <sk> Good, I'm glad to hear it.

  • Lathra accepts the tea gratefully, and tries to shake off the lingering formality.

<Dozilva> <sk> As a priest of Serpent, at least you already have some built-in networks here.

<Lathra> <sk> Yes! I was able to really throw myself into that world when I arrived.

  • Dozilva is using terms of address etc. that indicate she views you as an equal, btw, since that's a thing in SK :)

<Dozilva> <sk> I know it can be quite an adjustment coming here.

  • Lathra is trying to, but is occasionally using habitual honorifics like a noob

<Lathra> <sk> It's been... wonderful, to tell you the truth.

  • Dozilva smiles at that

<Dozilva> <sk> That's great!

<Dozilva> <sk> That's what I always hope to hear, although I know it isn't always the case.

<Lathra> <sk> It's not been... uniformly wonderful, but I am finding it much more easy to... exist? In this culture. To find a place.

<Dozilva> <sk> It can be much more open, yes, if you can find your way in it. People here are not just allowed to change, they're expected to.

<Dozilva> <sk> A society that sees change as something to be embraced instead of crushed... well. There are reasons I came here, apart from my love :)

<Lathra> <c> "Expected to change..." Yes! Yes that's a very good way to describe it.

<Lathra> <sk> Back home... excuse me, I don't normally talk about this sort of thing. But back home I though I had found my place, but I couldn't make it 'right' for myself.

  • DiablotinNarrator nods

<DiablotinNarrator> (ww)

<Dozilva> <sk> It was much the same for me. I had a good job, it was comfortable, I thought I knew what I would be doing for.. well, for the rest of my life.

<Dozilva> <sk> but at some point, it seemed so... limiting.

<Dozilva> <sk> For some people, those confines can be comforting. My middle son, for instance, chose to live there - he works at the library in Llorfir, and he seems happy with it. But he chose that, he didn't have it impressed upon him since he was born.

<Lathra> <sk> That's wonderful! I can't imagine what my life would be like if I'd stayed - would I have learned to accept my place and grown to love it? Or would I have consumed myself?

<Dozilva> <sk> Even if you did go back there now, you'll have been changed by the experience of living here.

<Lathra> <sk> Undoubtably, yes!

<Dozilva> <sk> Well, I should probably see how things are going upstairs... but if you need anything - either today, or another time - you can let me know, Lathra.

<Lathra> <sk> Well now thank you! I most certainly well, Dozliva... dear?

  • Lathra shakes her head

<Lathra> <sk> I think it only works in common

  • Lathra :/
  • Dozilva chuckles

<Dozilva> <sk> It does sort of make us sound like we're lovers this way :)

<Dozilva> <sk> But I take your meaning

<Lathra> <sk> Yes... sorry about that

  • Lathra blushes a bit

<Dozilva> <sk> Oh it's fine!

  • Dozilva pats your hand warmly before heading off to offer other people tea
  • Lathra lets herself breathe again.

Gen and Madds reunite in a mall

<DiablotinNarrator> Gen, you are just starting to get settled in at your aunt and uncle's house, when you receive a note there. It's unexpected, as probably very few people know your address here yet.

  • Genevriel will open it warily.

<DiablotinNarrator> "Dear Genny, I hope you're well. I heard about how the trial turned out, and I can imagine that things must be difficult right now. When you're feeling up to it, though, I'd like to see you again - if you don't hate the very thought of seeing me, that is. If you'd rather not hear from me again, then simply ignore this letter. I promise I won't be a jackass and pester you with further communications. Sincerely yours, Madds"

<Genevriel> (His address was provided so that I could respond, I assume. ^-^)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yes)

  • Genevriel takes some time to think about things... like maybe a day or two even.
  • Genevriel will then write back to say she wouldn't be averse to spending some time with him.

<Genevriel> (She would propose a neutral, public space, though.)

<DiablotinNarrator> (a public space like a restaurant, or more like a gallery in a shopping area or something of that sort?)

<Genevriel> (Somewhere indoors that affords some privacy for conversation but not so much privacy that hanky-panky can go on.)

<Genevriel> (A gallery might work, actually)

<Madds> (okay, that is fine)

  • Madds will agree to meet you at wherever you request, then
  • Genevriel decides to wear the outfit Dorien bought her for the office party and heads out, not really sure what to think but willing to see if they can be friends again.
  • Madds meets you there, wearing a suit and walking with his cane.

<Madds> Hello.

<Genevriel> Hi...

  • Genevriel replies, lots of questions in her eyes.
  • Madds smiles faintly

<Madds> How are you doing, Genny?

<Genevriel> Honestly? Getting by. And you?

<Madds> Much the same, I guess.

<Madds> I can't say it's been great to be back here... but it's better than the other available alternatives, so I'll take it.

<Genevriel> You used to wax on and on about Diablotin, so I'm sorry to hear that.

<Genevriel> But I know the war has changed me, so I expect you haven't escaped unscathed, either.

<Madds> I suppose I haven't.

<Madds> Not just the busted leg, either.

  • Genevriel glances at the leg in question and looks for somewhere they can sit, in case it is painful for him to stand.
  • Madds will sit on a nearby bench with you

<Genevriel> Normal people would ask "So what happened? Do you want to talk about it?" but those sorts of questions just seem too rude and painful to ask veterans.

<Madds> I don't mind from you.

<Madds> But we don't need to talk about it now.

<Madds> I'm sure you have a pretty good idea, anyway.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Madds> They can use healing potions, but that doesn't replace bone that was obliterated, just kind of ... pieces what's there back together.

  • Genevriel nods again.

<Genevriel> Can you ride, still?

  • Genevriel asks cautiously and with sympathy.

<Madds> I haven't tried. I think I'm afraid of what the answer might turn out to be.

  • Genevriel thinks of several answers but none that might not be painful.

<Madds> So, the Voclains... they're relatives of yours?

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> My aunt and uncle.

  • Madds nods

<Genevriel> I told you we were not rustics.

  • Genevriel tries to joke.

<Madds> No, certainly not, with a judge for an uncle :)

  • Madds cracks a smile for you

<Madds> I mean I'm sure they don't even *have* judges out in the country.

  • Genevriel rolls her eyes.

<Madds> Do they resort to ducking people in ponds to see if they're guilty or innocent?

<Genevriel> Only suspected witches.

<Madds> Ahh, so you must have been dunked plenty when you were growing up ;)

  • Madds teases, almost like old times

<Genevriel> With no magical talent to speak of? Use your brains.

<Madds> It's more about personality, surely

  • Genevriel glares at Madds, almost like old times.

<Madds> ... I missed you.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I missed you, too. And I - I'm sorry I was too angry with you to say good-bye.

<Madds> It's understandable.

  • Madds says with a slight shrug

<Madds> I was an ass, anyway.

<Genevriel> You were right; I should have waited at least until I was 20. That would have given me a few months to sort out what - what I was feeling about my family. But I still haven't forgiven you for commandeering my horses.

  • Madds looks guilty about that

<Genevriel> They were all I had left. I know in my head that you had to, but in my heart I just feel like you took the last connection I had with my family.

<Madds> ... would you like to see Miel?

  • Genevriel looks a little incredulous that she could have survived when so many people and animals didn't.

<Genevriel> Um... all right?

<Genevriel> And Khalif? Did he make it, too?

<Madds> No.

<Genevriel> I'm sorry. I know you loved him.

<Madds> I was riding when I was hit...

<Madds> but I did bring Miel back to my family's estate. I couldn't just leave her out east - she was all that I had left of you.

  • Genevriel looks rather frightened by those words.

<Madds> Besides, I sort of thought one day you might come looking for the horses, and I was scared of not having anything to show you ;)

  • Genevriel smiles.

<Genevriel> Smart.

<Madds> We can plan a time to go see her, then, if you like.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I would. Like that, I mean. It will give me more time to get to know the new you.

  • Madds nods

<Madds> All right.

  • Madds makes sure you have his number and various ways to get in touch with him.

<DiablotinNarrator> (home address, work contact info, whatever)

  • Genevriel thanks him and makes sure he has the same for her.
  • Genevriel tucks Madds' contact info carefully into her satchel. (So unstylish, no purse. :P)

<Genevriel> Do you have your own place, or are you staying with family, as I am?

<Madds> Ah, a bit of both, I suppose.

<Madds> I've got a room at my parents' home, but I'm also renting a place near work, so that I can walk there.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> How are your parents? And your sisters, and nieces and nephews? They must be glad to have you home. :)

<Madds> They're well, more or less.

<Madds> The usual sort of family disagreements and difficulties, but nothing too serious.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Madds> It all feels rather... unreal, I guess.

<Genevriel> The contrast between the front and home life?

  • Genevriel hazards a guess.
  • Madds nods

<Madds> Being home at all.

<Madds> Like there must surely have been some mistake, and I'll be called back to the front tomorrow.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Madds> At least, I have a lot of dreams where that's the case.

<Genevriel> I keep thinking I must be dreaming and I'll wake up and have to go back and fight more, too...

  • Madds nods

<Genevriel> Do you think it will ever fade away?

<Madds> It has to, doesn't it? It can't be like this for another forty or fifty years, surely.

<Genevriel> I hope not. Hopefully it's like grief, and it gets easier to bear as time passes.

  • Madds nods

<Genevriel> But I doubt we'll ever be completely rid of it. I mean, not without going senile or something. :P

<Madds> That seems like a bleak prospect.

<Genevriel> Things have been pretty bleak for me for nearly four years. I think maybe they're starting to get a little better, though?

<Madds> I'm glad to hear that.

<Madds> I know I've had it easier than some.

<Genevriel> It's all relative, isn't it?

<Madds> At least I had family to come home to, and was able to have a job that I could still do.

<Genevriel> But you were... are an officer, so you had to make a lot of difficult choices during the war.

  • Madds grips his leg for a moment, as if it pains him.

<Madds> So did everyone.

<Genevriel> Well, I was just an enlisted soldier. All I had to do was follow orders. But I wasn't very good at that, in the end, was I?

  • Genevriel laughs rather ruefully.
  • Genevriel noticed his pain and is concerned, which probably shows, too.

<Madds> It was a long series of impossible choices, impossible acts. I suspect you did your best, and you seem to have come out with your ... your humanity intact, and that's more important than medals or a pension.

<Genevriel> ...

<Madds> I'm sorry, that sounds awfully pretentious of me.

<Madds> The pension money was probably pretty important too.

  • Madds says with a slight smile

<Genevriel> Pretentious and Madds go hand in hand. And yes... losing it is why I've had to move in with my aunt and uncle. But... I guess, in a way, that's... a better way of looking at it.

<Madds> Like I said - I know I've had it easier than many. The pension money doesn't make a big difference to me, but I know for a lot of people it's what lets them keep a roof over their head or food on the table.

<Madds> If there is anything I could do to help...

  • Madds says with an awkward glance

<Genevriel> No! Oh, gods no, please, I don't need charity from you.

<Madds> not necessarily money!

<Madds> I mean if you wanted to ... ah, I don't know, meet for coffee and talk now and then, or .. or if you were looking for work, maybe I could see if I know anyone hiring... or if there's anything I could help with in terms of navigating the military bureaucracy ... or if you just wanted some company.

  • Madds says hastily, growing quieter as he continues
  • Genevriel tries to figure him out.

<Genevriel> I...

<Genevriel> Just - this. Your company is plenty. Thank you.

<Madds> All right.

<Genevriel> There's a lot of other veterans at the Cabaret, but I... don't know any of them.

<Genevriel> So having a veteran who's a friend I can talk to - that's helpful.

  • Madds nods

<Madds> Don't overlook the offer of coffee, though, at least ;)

  • Genevriel smiles.

<Genevriel> I won't. And there's also a trip to the country to see Miel.

<Madds> Yes, true.

<Genevriel> Oh... There is one thing, but it's... maybe more for my aunt?

<Madds> oh?

<Genevriel> She would like to erect a monument for all the... war dead at the cemetery in Arguvan.

<Genevriel> I suppose there must be a bunch of paperwork for something like that.

<Madds> oh, yes. But I'd be honoured to help, or at least put her in touch with the correct people to talk to.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I thought you might know who she needs to talk to, at least.

<Madds> It shouldn't be too difficult, if she is willing to throw money at the issue anyway.

  • Madds says a bit dryly
  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I think she's aware of the ramifications.

<Madds> It's a thoughtful gesture...

<Genevriel> Maman was her baby sister...

  • Genevriel rubs at her eyes.
  • Genevriel takes a deep breath.

<Genevriel> Sorry.

  • Madds nods

<Madds> nothing to apologize for

  • Genevriel nods and swallows her grief.

<Madds> I only meant it's thoughtful of her to want to do something for people beyond her own family members who died.

  • Genevriel smiles faintly.

<Genevriel> At first I was a little horrified that she did mean just for my family. I don't know her very well, yet. I mostly grew up knowing them through letters. They did come to visit once, when I was six.

<Genevriel> I'm glad that I was wrong.

  • Madds nods

<Genevriel> She is... strong-willed is the nice way of saying it, I suppose.

<Madds> Sounds like she would get along well with my mother.

<Madds> Actually for all I know, they may know each other...

<Genevriel> Oh... possibly, I suppose. :o

<Madds> Is she the sort to be involved in all sorts of social groups and charitable organizations and sit on the board of this or that, or host a tea to raise money for war orphans? ;)

<Genevriel> (Is she? Or does Gen not know her well enough to say, yet?)

<Madds> (I guess you haven't seen direct evidence of that sort of thing, but it seems like the kind of thing she might do if she had time? she does have a job, probably unlike Madds' mother, so she might not host the tea, but she might go to it ;)

<Genevriel> (Madds' mother helps her hubby run a textile factory, at least in the story. But that doesn't mean all her time would be taken up by it! She probably can sit on a board or two.  ;) )

<Madds> (fair, I wasn't sure how much day-to-day work she actually did)

<Genevriel> (Up to you :) )

<Genevriel> Tante Sylvise teaches at one of the academies so I'm not sure how much time she has for all of that, but I can picture her *going* to teas like that, at least.

<Madds> (I imagine since GEn moved in, Sylvise hasn't been undertaking a lot of social activity - certainly not having lots of people over or anything. she may go out from time to time though :)

  • Madds nods

<Madds> Well, quite possibly their paths have crossed, I suppose.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> For such a large city, Diablotin certainly is strangely incestuous.

<Genevriel> I came here thinking I could disappear, but first I run into my cousin, now you.

<Genevriel> Former squad members, can't forget that.

<Genevriel> It hasn't yet been a year.

  • Madds nods

<Genevriel> ...

<Genevriel> Madds?

<Madds> hm?

<Genevriel> How much of my military records have you actually read?

  • Genevriel asks, a little uncertain that she really wants to know the answer.

<Madds> I bent the rules enough to get your current address from Noren. Other than that, anything I know is from the summary of the hearing, which was brief and didn't go into much detail.

  • Genevriel nods, seemingly relieved.

<Madds> I know the outcome, and I know the official reasons given for it, and that you are supposed to stay in the city in case you're called for further testimony.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> Thank you for... not prying too deep. There may come a day when I will want to talk about it. It's good that I'll be able to do so on my own terms.

  • Madds nods

<Genevriel> It's been good to see you, Madds.

<Madds> You too, Genny.

<Madds> I hope we'll be able to get together again soon.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> ... Most people call me Gen, nowadays, if you'd like to spare yourself the extra syllable. But I don't mind Genny, from you.

  • Madds smiles slightly at that

<Madds> I think I can make the effort of the extra syllable, then.

  • Genevriel smiles back.

<Genevriel> Do you have far to go to catch your ride home?

<Madds> Not too far - there's a bus stop outside.

<Genevriel> Well, we're headed in the same direction, at least that far, then.

  • Genevriel smiles and offers him a hand up once she's standing, rather like old times.
  • Madds accepts with a smile in return

<Genevriel> (He might notice her wince when he takes it; stupid Blackened Arms curse.)

<Madds> (Aw)

  • Genevriel will head out to the bus stop with him, though, and that's probably as good a place as any to stop.

<Madds> (ok)

Hettie and Denise go for a romantic sewer crawl double date with their SOs

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie and Denise! You have plans for an exciting double-date... I mean, excursion into the undercity.

<DiablotinNarrator> So, did you have thoughts on where to start, or are you leaving that up to the people who are more expert in the ways of the Rat? :)

  • Denise has no idea, yeah @_@
  • Denise will have told Enver more about nycky though isi she's in the hush and can be tricksy so becareful >.>
  • Enver feels that the 'boneyard' is likely the most obvious place to start, anyway.
  • Enver is stumped about what the rest of it means, however

<Denise> maybe we can figure it out when we're there?

<Enver> Hope so!

  • Denise has got hee sewer crawlin' gear on, but has brught some cold iron knuckles and bullets just in case
  • Nycki will also be dressed down, and warmly - gets cold in the underground

<Nycki> Well, everyone ready to go?

<Hettienne> Yup!

  • Hettienne has got some old sneakin' clothes on, and a knitted wool toque
  • Denise nods
  • Enver has his usual sewer clothes, sturdy boots, and the gloves Denise made him :3
  • Hettienne is bringing the multi tool and trap glasses, along with her usual stuff.
  • Denise has her wraps on under her clothes, of course :3

<Enver> I figure we'll see about gettin' into the old catacombs first. That's gonna be tricky just on its own, they keep it all sealed up.

<Denise> :D

<Denise> ...should we be worried 'bout sealin' it up again after?

  • Denise asks, thiking about that rat >.>

<Nycki> Prolly should, yeah.

  • Enver nods in agreement

<Denise> well, we can figure that out when we get back out I guess :3

  • Enver will lead the way to a sewer entrance that should be near-ish to the catacombs, then.

<Enver> Ge....we, uh, I mean, we usually stay away from this part.

<Enver> Sometimes nasty things 'round here.

<Enver> (you guys can open roll20 btw)

  • Denise nods
  • Hettienne is a small woman
  • Denise looks at the grate the fungus rats were gnawing on to try and see if she could fit in there >.>

<DiablotinNarrator> You can manage to squeeze through the grate, once you guys open it - Hettie, your tool comes in handy, I'm sure

<Hettienne> (yay!)

<Enver> D'you think they were tryin' to get in here too?

<Hettienne> Seems.

<Nycki> Are those things usual round here?

<Hettienne> Maybe there is *somethin* down here... Somethin those mushroom buggers want. <Enver> I never seen 'em before.

<Nycki> Maybe we should take one of them bodies, like... get someone to check it out?

<Denise> hrm

<Denise> we better for sure seal it when we go, then

  • Enver nods

<Denise> an that, yeah

<Denise> Give it to the Channels

<DiablotinNarrator> The grate opens up over a large cavernous space. It will be hard to lower yourselves down - you might need to return with a longer rope, and/or some other way of getting down there.

  • Denise can climb >.>
  • Enver has rope, but not enough
  • Denise sighs

<Denise> I guess we pur the grate back, an' try again?

<Enver> Yeah... we can come back again, now we know this is here. An' that way we don't gotta carry a rat-shroom down with us, neither.

  • Enver pokes one of the things with the toe of his boot warily.

<Denise> you okay?

<Enver> Just feel a bit off. I'll be okay.

  • Nycki seems a bit frustrated/discouraged at getting here and then not being able to go further

<Nycki> We gotta come back soon - specially if someone, or somethin' else is tryin' to get in there too.

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> we can take one of these things, an make sure them spores ain't gonna be no trouble

<Hettienne> Maybe we could take some kinda mask next time, keep the spores out.

  • Nycki nods reluctantly

<Nycki> That might not be a bad plan, yeah.

<Denise> gas masks?

<Denise> like from the war?

<Nycki> I could get us some, I bet.

<Denise> 'kay

<Hettienne> We're gonna look a sight :v

  • Enver will seal the grate back up, then, as well as he can.

<Denise> well, that's true any time you come down here, really >.>

<Enver> heh

<Enver> It was kinda fun, though, right?

  • Enver says to Denise, mainly ;)

<Denise> yeah :)

<Denise> it'll be better when we can get all the way down, though :D

<Enver> next time

<Denise> get some more rope, an maybe some other stuff :3

  • Denise nods

<Nycki> Well.. thanks for gettin' us this far, anyway. We'll have to do it again soon.

  • Enver will grab up one of the mushrats to take back for examination

<Denise> we'll let you know what we find out about 'em

<Nycki> thanks

  • Denise will go with him to make sure he also gets checked out because fuck mushrooms forever >.>

<DiablotinNarrator> (Enver's Str is down 1 - it will come back with rest though)

<Denise> (okay)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - going to stop there. I will write an email to folks detailling what you are able to find out so far about the Flower Queen stuff (via whatever San, Ilphere, etc. are willing to tell you) and next time we'll plan to start with that - we'll just assume it's taking them a bit longer than expected to make sure she's not going to infest you all with plague or something.

<DiablotinNarrator> because I think if we start that today, we will be here another 2 hours ;)

Solos

Denise asks Ander about the Rat treasure

  • Ander is still giving you driving lessons maybe?

<Denise> (sure, maybe more necessary now that it is winter ;)

<Denise> (maybe more are, etc, esp if it is super icy)

<Ander> (makes sense)

  • Denise is navigating around an area where the streets are a little more clear and dry, so it is easier

<Ander> doin' good, Dee

<Denise> thanks boss :)

<Denise> can I ask about somethin' then?

<Ander> sure, what's up?

<Denise> YOu ever heard of some kinda treasure that got left down in the undercity?

  • Ander glances over at you

<Denise> what?

<Ander> There's some stories.

<Denise> oh yeah?

<Ander> Why, you goin' treasure-huntin'?

<Denise> ummmm...

<Denise> maybe? :3

<Ander> well... with your fella?

  • Denise be's quiet while she tries to get a sense of what Ander thinks of that idea
  • Ander seems a little concerned, but not actively upset or anything about it

<Denise> Well...

<Denise> yeah....

  • Ander looks a bit relieved at that, in a way

<Ander> Okay - so long as you ain't wanderin' around down there by yourself, I guess.

<Denise> oh no!

<Denise> I ain't dumb

  • Ander nods

<Denise> but you ever hear of anything?

<Ander> My grandmother used to have some stories 'bout that kinda thing

<Ander> There's a few different things, maybe they're all kinda mixed up together, I dunno.

<Ander> The stories, I mean.

<Denise> like what?

<Ander> One was that the queen back then - Iana, her name was - she made all sorta deals with the folk up here, right, before she'd agree to us comin' up.

<Ander> Like that's how come we got Rat nobles an' so on - she said we needed to be like the same as the other Houses, or it wouldn't work.

<Denise> right

<Ander> But she also knew, or was clever enough to figure out, that the folk up here wanted stuff from us too. They weren't just givin' away titles an' land like candy.

  • Denise nods

<Ander> An' there was stuff down there, old stuff, that we'd found, or kept, or I dunno.

<Denise> like stuff we found in the sewers, like?

  • Denise is thinking of Enver's collection

<Ander> Right, like my gran wasn't quite clear on whether it was stuff we found while we was down there, or stuff we had already.

<Ander> Just that it was real old, like older than the city.

<Denise> wow :o

<Denise> but she didn't give it to 'em, then?

<Ander> But the way she talked it up, it was like we had this sacred duty to protect it.

  • Denise frowns at that

<Ander> So Iana - well, I dunno if it was her, right, she was a queen, maybe she had someone else do it - she hid some of it where no one would get it.

<Denise> huh

<Ander> All the riches - like, whatever that was for us back then, furs and I dunno what - we brought with us.

<Denise> an' left that other thing behind?

<Ander> Yeah.

<Denise> huh

<Ander> The way she said it, like, maybe we *couldn't* take it

<Ander> She was a bit hazy on that

<Denise> like, couldn't it were too big, or couldn't it were a bad idea?

<Ander> Like it couldn't move from where it was.

<Denise> hmm

<Ander> or if it could, it would be a real bad idea.

  • Ander seems like he's weighing some thoughts about what to say
  • Denise glances over

<Ander> Well, there's another story too.

<Denise> yeah?

  • Ander seems a bit less happy to talk about this one, but continues anyway.

<Ander> My gran's dad, he was sorta ... I dunno. He wasn't on board with the whole 'comin' out of the sewers' thing. Maybe not quite right in the head, too.

<Denise> Okay...

<Ander> He, an' a few other folks who thought the same as him, they stayed down there.

<Denise> in the undercity?

<Ander> yeah

<Denise> ...

<Denise> what happened to em...?

  • Denise glances over again, sort of assuming the answer was 'nothing good'

<Ander> I dunno. It depended what kinda mood gran was in.

<Ander> When she was spinnin' a good scary story, she said that what they did was, they all shifted to rats, an' when we stopped bein' able to change, they just stayed that way forever.

<Denise> that wouldn't be....so bad....

<Ander> But when she was more down to earth, like, she said prolly they all died down there.

<Denise> :|

<Denise> that was her da?

<Ander> yeah

<Ander> he was a sorc, same as me.

<Denise> yeah well, you ain't crazy, boss o_O

<Ander> My gran's brothers, too, that was older'n her, stayed with him too.

<Ander> heh...

<Denise> ...huh

<Denise> that's like...

<Denise> that's kinda scary....

<Denise> creepy

<Ander> yeah

<Denise> bbut like

<Ander> well, we thought it was pretty scary when we was kids

  • Denise nods

<Denise> but like

<Denise> I don't mean to sound like.... rude?

<Denise> how does that fit with the treasure stories?

<Ander> well, like I said, 'cause it's kinda tangled up together. So, like, whatever the queen thought had to stay down there - that thing we had a sacred duty to protect - that was part of why they stayed.

<Denise> huh

<Denise> okay

<Ander> but here's what I think

  • Ander says, quite serious now

<Ander> The thing that they were willing to stay, an' maybe die, to protect - the thing that couldn't move out of the undercity, or if it could move, it shouldn't 'cause somethin' terrible would happen...

<Ander> I don't think it's there anymore.

<Denise> oh.

  • Denise looks a little relieved, maybe

<Denise> okay

<Ander> D'you know 'bout Emkathon? Like, they got that temple an' stuff for her?

<Denise> yeah, up in Rhenea, right?

<Ander> Uh huh

<Ander> She's some kinda... angel, or somethin', I ain't a priest. But before that, she was down in the undercity somewhere, like... watchin' over stuff, or I dunno what.

<Denise> ...huh

<Denise> you think that she was the treasure?

<Ander> An' I think it was her they couldn't leave, but couldn't bring with 'em.

<Ander> Maybe.

<Ander> It makes sense to me, anyhow.

<Ander> Before it got too hard to get her outta the house, my ma used to take my gran to that temple. She really liked to be there.

<Denise> huh

<Denise> I dunno

<Ander> Anyway... I don't wanna discourage you from lookin' for stuff down there. I'm sure there's a lotta interestin' things.

<Denise> We heard somethin abour somethin' anyway, down in the old citys that's all closed up

  • Ander nods

<Denise> maybe there's more than one treasure :3

<Denise> but, like, th' other thing is, we went to go lookin', right?

<Ander> yeah

<Denise> an' you know I told you 'bout the mushroom farm, right?

  • Ander nods

<Denise> we got to a place where we thoughth we could get in, an there were these rats there, tryin' to get it too

<Denise> but they were all wrong, like they were all half rat, half mold D:

<Ander> ugh

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> we brought one back so as maybe we can get one of the channels to look at it

<Ander> that's prolly a good idea

<Denise> yeah, I ain't had tme yeatm, gonna try after work, if Mickey 'll take me

<Denise> an we didn't even get to go in 'cause we didn't have enoough rope :/

<Denise> but I don't liek the idea of them fey or whatever pokin' around down there

<Ander> they were tryin' to get in somewhere?

<Denise> it lookied like, yeah

<Denise> they were big big rats

<Denise> an' it looked like they were tryin' to get in the same place we were

<Ander> huh

<Denise> maybe they're just lookin' around

<Denise> I dunno

<Denise> but I don't muchlike it

<Ander> yeah...

<Ander> you be careful, okay?

<Denise> yeah, we will

  • Denise nods, determined

<Denise> I'll tell ya if we find somethin' good :)

<Ander> an' if you get in over your head or anythin', I'll help

  • Denise grins

<Denise> we'll yell real loud ^-^

  • Ander says as if there's anything he could do ;)

<Denise> I ain't plannin on gettin in anythin' over my head down there though :D

<Ander> okay

<Ander> an' like you said, if you find anythin' good, lemme know :)

  • Denise nods, still trying to decide if she should me ntion the Nycki thing or not
  • Zari (Mibbit@38.103.208.34) Quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client�)
  • Denise sighs

<Denise> so, okay, like, there is one other thing >.>

<Ander> yeah?

<Denise> well

<Denise> the person who heard about the treasure an whose idea it was to go lookin'....

<Denise> is Nycki >.>

<Ander> oh, yeah?

<Denise> yeah

<Ander> well, I guess she can prolly take care of herself

<Ander> an' you lot too, if you get in trouble ;)

  • Ander teases a bit

<Denise> okay

  • Denise seems a bit relieved that you're not concerned on account of her being in the Hush or whatever

<Denise> Aunt Hettie says she can turn into a rat

<Denise> so I guess there's that

<Ander> I imagine that'd come in handy...

  • Ander says sort of noncomittally

<Denise> yeah, i bet - I ain't seen her do it, but Hettie says she has

  • Ander nods

<Ander> well, if you get the feelin' like maybe she's up to somethin' more'n just lookin' for gold or whatever, you let me know, okay?

<Denise> yeah

<Ander> I figure Enver's got a good head on his shoulders, ain't gonna go showin' her all the route we use or anythin' like that.

<Denise> yeah...

<Denise> I *were* her idea though, for me to ask him

  • Ander nods

<Denise> is what aunt Hettie says :p

<Ander> well, if you feel like she's gettin' up in our business, 'stead of just your aunt's, you can tell her no. I'll back you up.

<Denise> -_-

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> I will

<Denise> thanks boss :)

<Ander> okay

<Ander> hey, turn in here, d'you want some food? there's a good lunch place down here...

<Denise> oh sure...

  • Denise does as instructed!

<Denise> anythin' but mushrooms...

  • Ander laughs