Diablotin 3 session 12

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 12 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: March 29, 2015
Diablotin date:

Prologue

<DiablotinNarrator> It is early in Twelfth-month, and snow drifts lightly over the city, covering it with a pristine blanket that conceals many of its flaws. For a little while, the streets are pretty, the rooftops elegantly draped with white, the windows glazed with delicate patterns of frost.

  • Hettienne mourns the end of bicycle season.

Hettie meets her new niece

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie, your brother Thierry and his wife Rosalie have a new baby girl! You've given them a couple of weeks for things to settle down and for Rosalie to recover, but now you're looking forward to going to visit them.

<Hettienne> :D

  • Hettienne has packed a basket of food and the knitted things she's made...
  • Hettienne rings the doorbell at her brother's house.

<Hettienne> (do I know the name yet?)

  • Thierry 's house is small but pretty nice, for a house in the Shambles - it's close to the edge of Rhenea, so not so bad.
  • Thierry comes to the door

<DiablotinNarrator> No, last you heard they were still debating over a name

<Hettienne> Hey there, Dad!

<Hettienne> ;)

  • Thierry grins and gives you a hug to welcome you

<Hettienne> How's everyone holdin' up?

<Thierry> Hi sis, come on in! The little one's awake, so you'll get to see her in action - or as much action as a baby ever has, anyway.

<Hettienne> I brought you some things...

<Thierry> oh, thanks :)

  • Hettienne passes over the basket.
  • Thierry takes it inside, setting it down on the table

<Hettienne> There's a pie an' a casserole - don't worry, Denise made 'em - and some bread and such I got at the bakery down the way...

<Thierry> You didn't have to, that's real nice of you.

<Hettienne> Aw well, it's the least I could do!

<Hettienne> Don't want you all wastin' away...

  • Thierry chuckles, his large frame shaking with laughter

<Thierry> Don't think there's any worry of that for me, anyway

<Hettienne> Heh.

<Hettienne> So where is the little doll? :3

<Thierry> Come on inside, Rosalie's in the sitting room with her :)

  • Hettienne resists the urge to make grabby hands
  • Hettienne follows Thierry, then...
  • Rosalie is sitting with the baby wrapped up in the blanket you made for her

<Rosalie> hi Hettie - it's good to see you :)

  • Rosalie looks pretty well, a bit tired, but that's to be expected

<Hettienne> Hi darlin'!

  • Hettienne gets close so she can see the little one.

<Rosalie> This is Avionne :)

<Hettienne> Oh! What a pretty name!

<Hettienne> She is so *precious*!!

<Rosalie> She's got her dadddy's hair - gonna be big like him too, I bet.

  • Hettienne 's voice involuntarily pitches up an octave or two... :3 :3
  • Rosalie says, ruffling the baby's thick black hair

<Hettienne> I bet she's a good eater!

<Rosalie> Here, you wanna hold her?

<Rosalie> You're telling me! She's hungry all the time, seems like.

<Hettienne> Ohhhh, of course!

  • Rosalie offers you a cute little bundle of baby :3
  • Hettienne will carefully take the tiny person in her arms.

<Hettienne> (what colour are the eyes now, just regular baby blue?)

<Rosalie> (yeah, a dark blue right now)

<Rosalie> If you don't mind, I'm gonna take the chance to run to the bathroom.

<Hettienne> Ohhh, it's been way too long since I got to snuggle one of these! :3

  • Rosalie says, stretching

<Hettienne> Aren't you just the sweetest li'l thing...

  • Hettienne coos

<Thierry> She likes you - or at least, she ain't cryin' :)

<Hettienne> I'll take it! :D

  • Rosalie excuses herself for a moment to go and take care of things that are harder to do while holding a baby ;p

<Thierry> How's things with you, Hettie?

<Hettienne> Not nearly as ADORABLE

<Hettienne> :3

  • Thierry chuckles

<Thierry> She's a sweetheart. Healthy, too.

<Hettienne> I'm so happy for you, hon!

<Thierry> Some of the old folks, you know, the ones who like to poke their noses in everything, came 'round to check that everything went okay.

<Hettienne> Heh.

<Thierry> But they saw she's got all her fingers an' toes, and went away happy.

<Hettienne> Have Alain 'n' Pat been by?

<Thierry> Yeah, Alain was here yesterday, an' Pat last week.

  • Hettienne nods.

<Thierry> I took a couple days off work but 'course I had to go back or we don't get paid.

<Hettienne> :/

<Thierry> But Rosalie's sisters are helpin' out too, and some of the neighbours come 'round when they can.

<Hettienne> Well, if Rosalie needs any help, I can come by some durin' the days...

<Thierry> I'm sure she'd appreciate that, if you got the time.

<Hettienne> Ain't no trouble at all...

  • Thierry smiles

<Hettienne> Specially if I get to spend some time with this little cutie! :3

<Thierry> Well, that's the idea :)

<DiablotinNarrator> There's a ring at the doorbell again

<Thierry> Oh, lemme get that.

  • Hettienne nods, but is mostly focused on tickling the baby's chin :3

<DiablotinNarrator> The house isn't big, so you can easily tell who it is once the door opens - you can hear Patric's voice.

<Hettienne> <w> Oooh, it's grumpy uncle Patric, booo, boo!

<Patric> Just came by to drop off a few things - some of Yvie's stuff...

<Thierry> Oh, thanks. Uh... Hettie's here. Do you wanna come in?

<Hettienne> . o O (Just say no!)

<Patric> Well... I really oughta get home to Elcie. I just wanted to make sure you got those baby clothes an' such...

<Thierry> Okay - well, thanks for thinkin' of us. We really appreciate it. Come on by another time, how about?

  • Hettienne feels a small pang of guilt... but only a small one.

<Patric> Sure - I'll bring Yvie over, she's been askin' to see the baby.

<Thierry> Yeah or, you know, we could bring her over to you, so Elcie can see her too.

<Patric> Sure, that'd be nice. Maybe for dinner on Seventhday?

<Thierry> Yeah, that sounds good. We'll see you then.

  • Patric takes his leave, then, and Thierry returns to the sitting room, where you wait with the baby

<Hettienne> Pat's still scared of his big bad little sister, huh? ;)

<Thierry> Well... I dunno. I guess maybe he just needed to get home. Things are rough right now, I think.

<Hettienne> Oh?

<Hettienne> Somethin' happen?

  • Hettienne frowns.

<Thierry> Nothin' too serious, but you know Mikel helps out a lot with Elcie... I guess he's lookin' at movin' out, an' gave some money for Pat so's they could maybe get a helper to come in now an' then instead. Pat wouldn't take it.

<Thierry> You know how stubborn he is :/

<Hettienne> Uuuughhh PAT.!

<Hettienne> Talk about cuttin' off yer nose. >:(

  • Thierry just sighs

<Thierry> He doesn't wanna have Yvie leave school, but things go on like this, I dunno what other choice they'll have.

<Hettienne> Don't he get that helpin' your family is what you're supposed to do?!

<Hettienne> Or he could just take the damn money!

<Thierry> Yeah, well...

<Thierry> he thinks it's, uh, ill-gotten gains >.>

<Hettienne> Oh, for...

<Hettienne> >_<

<Hettienne> Can't you talk some sense into him?

<Thierry> I can try.

<Thierry> Guess I'll see him on Sunday, so maybe then I can have a word.

<Hettienne> Mik should just hire the damn helper his own self.

  • Rosalie returns, looking somewhat refreshed

<Rosalie> Everything all right?

<Hettienne> Hey sweetie! :)

<Hettienne> Oh... you know, Pat.

<Thierry> Sure, no problems - Avionne's fine, just happy with her Aunt Hettie :)

  • Rosalie nods

<Hettienne> Such a sweet lil dumplin' :3

<Rosalie> Well, if she's happy to stay there, how about I make us some tea?

<Hettienne> I'm more 'n happy!

  • Rosalie will head to the kitchen to do that, then
  • Thierry will change the subject to talk more about baby-stuff and not about awkward family situations.
  • Hettienne is pleased to oblige

<Hettienne> . o O (BABIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES!!!)

Lathra and Aubrienne commission the services of Orecalo Research and Exploration Services

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra and Aubrienne, you are headed to talk to one M. Xandhil Orecalo, who it seems may have some knowledge of the matters you're investigating.

<DiablotinNarrator> M. Orecalo's place of business is an unobtrusive doorway on Griffin Road in the Castalia District, marked only by a subtle brass plate beside the door: "Orecalo Research and Exploration Services"

<Aubrienne> Well, that sounds promising.

<Lathra> This seems to be the place...

  • Aubrienne will open the door for Lathra
  • Lathra half-curtseys a thankyou

<DiablotinNarrator> The room you enter into, with the faint tinkling of a bell to acknowledge your arrival, is appointed like a comfortable lounge in a library, rather than a shopfront or office. Bookshelves line the walls, and there are various strange artifacts displayed as well - items that look very ancient, or that seem to come from far-off lands.

  • Aubrienne looks around, impressed

<DiablotinNarrator> A tall young man emerges from a back room to greet you. He's got light brown hair that sticks up somewhat, and blue eyes. As he approaches you, you can tell that he's got elven blood, probably a half-elf.

<Halfelf_man> Good day, ladies, how can I help you?

<Aubrienne> (Do we have reason to know what Xan looks like?)

<Lathra> Hello sir, we're looking into a rather mysterious and historical matter and we were told that your research institution might be the place to, well, research.

<DiablotinNarrator> (I think Aubrienne probably knows some of his other family members, at least via the temple of Serpent - his sister Em, at the least? She's red-haired and has wings, so she's fairly noticable ;)

<Aubrienne> (cool cools)

<Aubrienne> Also, I have a delivery for M. Orecalo, from Gelin te Kenep.

  • Aubrienne will produce the book.

<Halfelf_man> Certainly, you've come to the right place. My name is Leiris Cuville, and I'm M. Orecalo's assistant.

<Leiris> Oh?

  • Leiris looks at the book curiously

<Aubrienne> It was on order at the shop, and happened to be pertinent to our research interest.

<Aubrienne> Gelin let me take a look at it so long as I delivered it to M. Orecalo.

<Leiris> I see...

<Leiris> Please, have a seat. Can I offer you something to drink? Tea, coffee?

<Aubrienne> Tea would be lovely, thank you. I'm Aubrienne, by the way.

  • Aubrienne will take a seat

<Lathra> Yes, tea would be lovely. Lathra Scales, at your service.

<Leiris> Lovely to meet you both.

  • Leiris says, although maybe slightly more in Lathra's direction ;)

<Leiris> M. Orecalo is presently in a meeting, but hopefully I can assist you. If I'm not able to, I can see if he's able to meet fit you in after his present, uh, engagement.

  • Leiris will fetch some tea, and then return to join you

<Lathra> (Can I make a sense motive on that hesitation?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (sure)

<Lathra> !roll 1d20+8

  • Zola rolls for Lathra: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 20 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 28 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra, you believe that he thinks you're cute, and is being polite but flirty with you.

<Lathra> ( Well now :o )

<Leiris> So, can you explain your .. what was it, mysterious historical question?

<Lathra> (Does he seem ebarassed by the "engagement" his employer is engaged with?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (oh with a 20, you think it's probably not a "professional" engagement - maybe he's with a friend? or "friend"?)

<Lathra> ( Ok, that's what I suspected :) An, uh, "friend")

<DiablotinNarrator> (not embarrassed exactly, but maybe just not the kind of thing to discuss with potential clients ;)

<Lathra> Yes, well in broad strokes, in the course of our business we've come across various references to something called "those who came before", and "the Forestheart", and it may all be bound up with a military event that went tragically wrong.

  • Leiris makes some notes, listening

<Lathra> And we're looking to find out more about what these things are, and whether they're real, or fancy, and if they're real, what it all could mean.

<Leiris> I see... that sounds very intriguing, to be sure.

<Lathra> Isn't it?

  • Lathra flashes a smile
  • Leiris smiles back

<Leiris> Is it also connected with the book you brought - on the First World? or is that simply an unrelated delivery :)

  • Aubrienne grins to herself
  • Lathra turns to Aubrienne, inquisitively

<Aubrienne> Oh, yes, uh, we believe that these references to "those who came before" may mean the fey.

<Aubrienne> Gelin was skeptical, but, then again, he is of most everything.

<Lathra> Ooo! A name!

<Leiris> hmmm... a tantalizing possibility.

<Lathra> You didn't tell me that, Aubrienne!

  • Lathra is delighted

<Aubrienne> But it seems to line up.

<Aubrienne> (Oh, sorry, I assumed Aubrienne would have filled her in on this :/)

<Lathra> It rather deepens the question about reality in my mind, though...

<Aubrienne> It's certainly intriguing...and continues to be concerning.

<Leiris> Now, you say this is connected to .. military matters in some way? So not simply an academic question, I gather?

<Aubrienne> Not precisely.

<Leiris> You're not military personnel yourselves, though?

<Lathra> No, but we've acquaintances.

<Aubrienne> And, uh, had family members.

  • Aubrienne adds quietly
  • Leiris nods, jotting down a few more notes

<Aubrienne> The "Forestheart" was apparently some sort of magical site located at Seda Grove.

<Lathra> There was a catastrophe a while ago in a place called Seder Grove, and several of the survivors, some among my clients, have had nightmares about these themes, with startlingly similar details, and they aren't the only ones.

  • Leiris 's pencil flies more quickly, writing all this down

<Leiris> Your clients?

<Leiris> Are you a healer?

  • Leiris guesses

<Lathra> Yes,

<Lathra> I ministrate, in my work as a cleric.

  • Leiris nods

<Leiris> Well... I think this is certainly a fascinating topic, and one that my employer would be interested in discussing further with you. As to what services we might be able to provide, well - it rather depends what you're looking for.

<Leiris> We can provide anything from research at the Castalia or other libraries, upwards to engaging an expedition to investigate this Seda Grove site

<Aubrienne> Well, I'm not sure we can afford an expedition...

<Leiris> You don't have to decide right now, of course. And M. Orecalo may have other suggestions of what might be feasible.

<Lathra> Well, from my point of view, we have two rather pressing questions. Chiefly, do these themes refer to things which are real or fictional - and Aubrienne's book may provide a starting point there. And secondly, if real, there is also a theme or resurgence and reclaimation, and it seems prudent perhaps to take precautions against such an event.

  • Lathra looks to Aubrienne for assent
  • Aubrienne nods

<Aubrienne> Ultimately, we just want to help. This isn't exactly something we're familiar with, and, as Lathra pointed out with the them of resurgence, we're worried these issues could escalate.

<Aubrienne> So we're looking for any information or assistance.

<Lathra> Yes exactly!

  • Leiris nods
  • Leiris looks as though he's about to say more, but...

<DiablotinNarrator> At this point, from somewhere at the back of the shop, a door opens and a man - red haired, bearded, wearing a nice suit - strolls out, straightening his tie.

<Justen> Oh, hey, customers :)

<Leiris> M. Olivier

  • Leiris says politely

<Justen> Sorry, I'll get out of your way, let you get on with the real work. You still coming round for dinner tonight, Leiris?

<Leiris> Uh... probably, yes. Is M. Orecalo free now?

<Justen> Yeah, he's all set. See you later!

  • Justen gives you each a friendly wave and strolls out the door.

<Leiris> I'll just... check if he can see you now. Please wait a moment :)

  • Lathra smiles and waves to Justen
  • Leiris hustles off through the doorway to the back of the building
  • Leiris returns a few moments later

<Leiris> M. Orecalo would be pleased to see you now. If you would follow me?

<Lathra> Excellent!

  • Aubrienne follows along
  • Lathra rises with her tea to follow
  • Xandhil is a shorter, slim, blond-haired man with somewhat elven features, but it's hard to pin down exactly what he might be - not a half-elf, probably, but not fully human either. He's dressed in a Cozovode-style tunic, at any rate.
  • Xandhil 's private office is also lined with books, and there are a couple of chairs, as well as his desk, which is covered with papers (neatly organized, though, not just scattered all over)

<Xandhil> Pleased to meet you - come in, have a seat. My assistant has given me the gist of your situation, but I still have a few questions.

<Aubrienne> A pleasure to meet you as well, and thank you for seeing us.

<Lathra> Likewise pleased! I'm sure there are questions all around.

  • Lathra sits
  • Aubrienne takes a seat

<Xandhil> I know of the tragic events at Seda Grove, but perhaps you could provide some more information about how it connects to this issue?

  • Leiris is still there, however, and will keep on taking notes ;)

<Aubrienne> We're given to understand some of the soldiers stationed there before the tragedy heard voices beckoning them to "the other side."

<Lathra> Well, this all came to our attention through similarities between visions afflicting our acquaintances.

<Lathra> Yes, and several of those having visions were at Seda Grove at the time of the event.

  • Aubrienne nods

<Lathra> We should add that we ourselves experienced something rather odd that may be connected - an attack on one of the city businesses by an unusual magical creature.

<Aubrienne> Fey, in fact, which somewhat reinforces that supposition.

  • Xandhil tents his fingers, listening

<Xandhil> What sort of magical creature?

<Lathra> Oh it was a horrible little sneaky creature!

<Lathra> It POISONED somebody, can you imagine?

<Xandhil> How awful - did they recover?

<Aubrienne> Yes, the victim was fine fairly soon after. It seemed to just knock him out.

<Lathra> Well yes, with timely medical intervention, thankfully.

<Aubrienne> Our employer said the Castalia identified the creature as a quickling.

<Aubrienne> Of course.

  • Aubrienne gestures in Lathra's direction.

<Xandhil> That's odd - especially in the city.

<Lathra> Oo a Quickling! That sounds much more endearing than it was, really it was awful.

<Xandhil> Such creatures are very rare, and I've never heard of them being encountered in urban areas.

<Xandhil> Where did this occur?

<Lathra> I've never heard of one at all! And there it was, right in the building. So yes, that's why we're *extra* concerned about this "coming back" business.

<Lathra> It stole something, didn't it?

<Aubrienne> Titania's Cabaret. Some of this was in the papers...

<Lathra> Yes and some of it wasn't, so we'd appreciate a little discretion on that matter.

<Aubrienne> Well, there was a staff left behind the same night, that seemed to have some connection to the fey, and it did go missing later.

  • Xandhil nods

<Aubrienne> It was a...difficult night, for a variety of reasons.

<Xandhil> This all sounds very fascinating - I have to say, it certainly raises a number of questions.

<Aubrienne> Given how dangerous that night was, and it involved what I understand was a relatively minor fey, I think you can see our concern.

<Xandhil> Indeed.

<Xandhil> This is purely speculation at this point, as I would have to do more research to try and ascertain what might be going on.

<Xandhil> But perhaps Seda Grove was an important site for the fey, and after its destruction perhaps they have fled here? Possibly even are looking for those responsible?

  • Aubrienne casts a concerned look at Lathra

<Aubrienne> Well, that doesn't sound good for your clients.

<Lathra> It certainly doesn't - and for one at least the visions have taken a serious toll on his health.

<Lathra> What was the other thing, about the forestheart? Oh yes - we were told that it was eternal, rather like the arch. That if destroyed, it would merely show up somewhere else, later - and there were insinuations that it may have been "destroyed" at Seda Grove, and that it may even have been here at one point!

<Lathra> At least, that was the impression that I got...

  • Xandhil 's eyes widen somewhat at that

<Xandhil> I feel that this is potentially an important matter. I'm willing to take on the case, if you would like.

<Aubrienne> Really? Thank you so much!

<Xandhil> I'll waive my usual fees for research for two weeks, do what research I can locally, and we can see how to proceed from there.

<Lathra> Oh my! Thank you awfully!

<Aubrienne> That sounds amazing. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

<Xandhil> How should I get in touch with you?

<Aubrienne> (I *think* Aubrienne and Jed have a phone)

<DiablotinNarrator> (sure, seems likely :)

  • Aubrienne will write down the number for her and Jed's apartment.

<Aubrienne> You should be able to reach me here.

<Aubrienne> Or you could leave a message for us at Titania's.

<Xandhil> All right. I'll contact you when the two weeks are up, or if I find something amazingly significant, I'll be in touch sooner :)

<Aubrienne> Thank you again.

<Lathra> Our thanks again! I hope we aren't wasting your time.

<Xandhil> Thank you

<Xandhil> Whatever else it may be, the research should be interesting.

  • Leiris will finish taking his notes, and rise to show you out

<Leiris> Say, uh... Mlle. Scales, is that correct?

  • Leiris says to Lathra as you're preparing to leave

<Lathra> Yes, it is...

  • Aubrienne will move as far away as she can to give them some privacy...

<Leiris> I wondered if you might like to meet sometime? Maybe for drinks, or dinner?

<Lathra> Well how charming! I don't have a *lot* of free time, but I'm sure I can squeeze in a drink or two of an evening.

<Leiris> Lovely :)

  • Leiris offers you a piece of paper, clearly torn from his notebook, with his name and phone number on it

<Leiris> Anytime you're free, just let me know :)

<Lathra> Well yes, I'll check my schedule. Have a lovely day!

<Leiris> You too!

  • Lathra stashes the paper

<Aubrienne> Thanks for all your help, M. Cuville.

  • Aubrienne waves from the door, holding it open for Lathra and grinning at her.
  • Lathra blushes and smiles back

Dorien learns about Misery's situation

<DiablotinNarrator> Dorien, you are busy with the investigations into the odd fungus and other items you gathered, so that's been occupying most of your free time lately

<Dorien_Voclain> (I assume Misery has been helping?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yes)

<Dorien_Voclain> (Excellent. Hands on training for her :) )

  • Misery shows up a bit late one morning

<Dorien_Voclain> Well, look who the cat dragged in.

  • Misery glowers at you, brushing snow off her boots

<Dorien_Voclain> You seem annoyed. Or rather, you seemly strangely annoyed in a way that is different from your usual level of annoyance. Is everything ok?

<Misery> It's fine >.>

<Dorien_Voclain> You sure?

<Misery> Are we making some product today, or more messing with mushrooms?

<Dorien_Voclain> Well, it looks like we've probably hit a dead end with the mushrooms. Nothing that we can really use as a new product. Poisons, maybe, but that's not our bag. I still would like to know how it got there, though.

<Dorien_Voclain> But we're also starting to run behind on production, so probably back to that for today.

<Misery> Probably just some stupid wizard messing around with things that they shouldn't have been :p

<Dorien_Voclain> Possible

  • Misery does seem unusually cranky today
  • Dorien_Voclain raises an eyebrow slightly at her.

<Dorien_Voclain> You sure you're ok?

<Misery> Look, let's just get on with work, so they can see I'm being productive here and this isn't just a waste of time.

<Dorien_Voclain> They?

<Misery> >.>

<Misery> You don't even know who you're working for, do you.

<Dorien_Voclain> I try not to ask. The less I know the better. Are you saying you do?

  • Misery gives you a Look.

<Misery> Nobody, okay? You're working for Nobody.

<Misery> You're right, it's better if you think of it that way.

  • Dorien_Voclain pauses and looks Misery over. "Look, if you need to tell me something then tell me. I'm not big on games, kid."

<Misery> Nhau'kel.

<Misery> (does Dorien speak SK?)

<Dorien_Voclain> (Yes)

<Misery> (then he would know that that means "nothing". can also make a k:local check on other meanings ;)

<Dorien_Voclain> (24)

<Misery> (It's also the name of the Shadar-kai mob)

  • Dorien_Voclain nods.

<Dorien_Voclain> So is that why you're here? Your family deep in with them or something?

<Misery> My mother.

  • Dorien_Voclain nods again.

<Misery> It's this or whoring, and I won't do that.

<Dorien_Voclain> Yeah. You said. I don't blame you.

<Dorien_Voclain> Is your mom forcing you into it?

<Misery> well, it wasn't her idea. Puce suggested it.

<Dorien_Voclain> Puse is a piece of shit.

  • Dorien_Voclain looks sympathetic.

<Misery> yeah

<Dorien_Voclain> I guess he's got us both by the balls, then.

<Misery> But my mother needs to work off her debts, or they're gonna ... I don't know. Kill her, maybe.

<Misery> so here I am

<Dorien_Voclain> Shit.

<Dorien_Voclain> I'm sorry.

  • Dorien_Voclain puts a hand on her shoulder
  • Misery shrugs

<Misery> it is what it is

<Dorien_Voclain> What kind of debt are we talking?

<Misery> not just the usual 'we'll help you get set up here' kind of fees

<Misery> she borrowed money from them to set up a restaurant.

<Dorien_Voclain> Void...

<Misery> it didn't work out so well. Fucking colour guard assholes kept messing the place up. She couldn't keep it going.

<Dorien_Voclain> The Nhau'kel wouldn't help with that? seems like they would have wanted to protect their investment.

<Misery> Yeah, what good's having a criminal organization if they can't keep us safe :p

<Dorien_Voclain> Ok, fair.

<Misery> They keep a low profile - if they get arrested, it isn't like humans, where you'd get a fine or something, maybe a little jail time.

<Misery> They'll get kicked back to the Shadow Plane, or worse.

  • Dorien_Voclain nods

<Misery> anyway.. it's not your problem.

<Misery> You can just get me trained up and get out of here :/

<Dorien_Voclain> Well, I may not be able to help directly, but I can show you how to make money.

  • Dorien_Voclain looks a bit paler than before

<Misery> hey...

<Misery> sorry to dump my problems on you

<Dorien_Voclain> No, hey... it's ok.

<Dorien_Voclain> I'm... I'm sorry that things are so shitty.

<Dorien_Voclain> I wish I could fix them, you know?

  • Misery shrugs

<Misery> you're helping

  • Misery gives you a bit of a smile
  • Dorien_Voclain half smiles back.

<Dorien_Voclain> You want a drink? I think I could use one before we start.

<Misery> well... okay.

  • Dorien_Voclain grabs the bottle of gin and two glasses, pouring one for each of them.

<Misery> thanks

<Misery> and then we make, what, some cherry nectar?

  • Dorien_Voclain shrugs. "Yeah. I need to stock up the supplies for Tits' place. starting to run low."

<Misery> that stuff always seems to sell fast. people think they need it to get laid?

<Dorien_Voclain> Some people do.

  • Dorien_Voclain smirks

<Misery> that's sort of sad.

  • Dorien_Voclain raises his glass slightly, "A little. But hey, if they want to spend their money on it, I'm happy to oblige"
  • Misery nods

<Dorien_Voclain> Besides, it's not bad stuff. ever tried it?

<Misery> no

<Dorien_Voclain> It's very... relaxing.

<Misery> uh huh...

<Dorien_Voclain> I try to make it a point never to sell anything I haven't tried once. Keeps me honest.

<Misery> I guess then at least you can give testimonials to the customers.

  • Misery sips her gin

<Dorien_Voclain> Pretty much.

  • Dorien_Voclain sighs.

<Dorien_Voclain> Well, here's to better living through chemistry.

  • Dorien_Voclain downs his drink
  • Misery will drink to that

Gen turns herself in and finds an old friend

<DiablotinNarrator> I wasn't sure if we were totally done with your thread with August, but I think it was close enough to go ahead with your plan?

<Genevriel> I think so... I figured we were done.

<DiablotinNarrator> okay, cool

<DiablotinNarrator> So, how is Gen going to turn herself in?

  • Genevriel was just going to get herself to whichever authorities are in charge of war crimes and identify herself. She hasn't really thought about it much beyond that.

<Genevriel> (I wasn't sure if there were military police, or if it'd just be normal imperial guard types)

  • Genevriel was going to work out which day she and August would both be free to do this, though.

<DiablotinNarrator> There's a military justice system which is (more or less) separate from the ordinary legal system. There's a headquarters where they hold courts-martial and such on the Imperial Isle, that would be the most likely place to turn yourself in.

  • Genevriel will go there, then. She makes sure she is as clean and presentable as she possibly can be, and wears her best clothes (not that they're anything to write home about...)
  • Genevriel will have arranged to meet August somewhere on the way to the military justice HQ
  • August accompanies you

<August> Is there anything you'd like me to do? Or just be there?

  • Genevriel looks pale and anxious.

<Genevriel> Just be here, please. You don't know me well enough to try to say anything on my behalf. I'm not expecting you to do anything like that.

<August> All right.

  • August puts a hand on your arm, comforting you
  • Genevriel smiles wanly as she lays her own hand over top of his.

<August> Whatever happens, I'll be there.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> That's all I need. To know I'm not completely alone.

<DiablotinNarrator> You approach the building, a stern brick structure with soldiers posted out front

  • Genevriel approaches the soldiers with trepidation.
  • Genevriel isn't sure if she has to announce herself to them, or if she can just walk in.

<DiablotinNarrator> People are walking in and out of the doors, but probably none of them are criminals... you think...

  • Genevriel walks towards the doors... no one can tell she's a criminal either. :P
  • August sticks near you
  • Genevriel wants to do this with as little fanfare as possible so hopefully the guards don't give a shit as we walk past them.

<DiablotinNarrator> Nobody interferes with your progress up the stairs and through the doorway

  • Genevriel steps inside and gets her bearings... is there a wicket or anything like that with a receptionist?

<DiablotinNarrator> Inside is a large entry hall, and to the left there's a window with a young man sitting there who seems to be directing people or answering questions for them

  • August gestures in that direction
  • Genevriel nods and heads there.

<DiablotinNarrator> After a short wait, you are at the front of the line

<Receptionist> Next?

  • Genevriel swallows anxiously.

<Genevriel> Good afternoon. My name is Genevriel Doucette... formerly a Sergent with the Fifth Squadron, Princess Tessera's Royal Infantry.

<Receptionist> How can I help you?

<Genevriel> I've recently encountered some of my old squadmates who... told me that our squadron might be under investigation for war crimes. So I've come to... cooperate with the investigation.

<Receptionist> I... see. Please hold on a moment.

  • Receptionist steps aside to make a phone call
  • Genevriel glances at August, uncertain now if this is the right decision, but it's too late to turn back now.
  • August gives you a slight reassuring nod
  • Receptionist returns after a moment.

<Receptionist> Wait on the bench over there, and someone from the war crimes division will be here to see you in a moment.

  • Genevriel nods.
  • Receptionist gestures to a bench against the opposite wall

<Genevriel> Thank you.

  • August will accompany you to sit on the bench, then

<August> there... that part wasn't so bad, at least.

  • Genevriel takes a seat rather woodenly, and nods absently at August's comment.
  • Genevriel turns to him after a few moments.

<Genevriel> I don't know if I can do this. I'm going to have to talk about it. Relive it.

<August> You'll have to talk about it, but it won't be the same as going through it.

<August> I have faith that you can do this.

<DiablotinNarrator> You wait for what feels like hours, but isn't really that long.

  • Genevriel struggles to maintain control and not bolt.

<DiablotinNarrator> Probably in fact only about fifteen or twenty minutes have passed when someone approaches you.

  • Genevriel probably only doesn't bolt because August is there.
  • Genevriel tries to take the measure of the person approaching us.

<DiablotinNarrator> He's tall - very tall - and walks with a limp. He has his face down, looking at some papers, as he approaches, but looks up to see you sitting there, and you recognize Madds.

<Madds> ... Gen?

<Genevriel> ... Madds?

<Madds> I... I didn't know if it would really be you.

  • Genevriel is losing her hard-won control.
  • August puts a comforting hand on your back, but has no idea what is going on here, other than that you evidently know each other

<Madds> Will you come with me?

  • Madds asks, trying to maintain a professional tone
  • Genevriel glances with panicky eyes at August.

<Genevriel> Alone... or... can my friend come?

<Genevriel> He's just here to support me.

<Madds> If you're all right with having him there, he can come. This is just a preliminary briefing.

  • Genevriel nods gratefully.

<Genevriel> Do you mind, M. Merrion?

<August> Of course, that's fine.

  • Genevriel wants to make sure August is comfortable with this.
  • August will rise, offering you his hand
  • Genevriel takes it and follows Madds wherever we're going.

<Genevriel> I'm... I'm glad you made it through, Madds.

  • Genevriel says softly as he leads us wherever.

<Madds> You too.

  • Madds leads you both downstairs, along some hallways, and into a small office.

<Genevriel> I should have... I should have listened to you.

<Madds> Don't... let's not talk about that now.

  • Madds says with a slight glance around

<Genevriel> (Too late, I am crying and having trouble breathing.)

  • Madds gets you inside the office and will shut the door. He offers you a handkerchief.
  • August also tries to help calm you down
  • Genevriel struggles to conquer her inner demons.

<Madds> Gen, listen... whatever happened, we'll sort this out.

  • Genevriel shakes her head.

<Genevriel> I don't think it's right for you... for you to be the one doing this.

<Madds> The first thing we're going to do, is get you an advocate. Uh, unless.. you're not a lawyer, are you?

  • Madds says to August

<August> Not as such, no.

<Madds> Okay.

<Madds> You're right, Gen, I can't be the one to handle this case. But I can make sure that you get fair treatment.

  • Genevriel nods through her tears.
  • Madds goes to his desk and gets a card out of a drawer

<Madds> This guy is good, he can help you out.

  • Madds hands the business card to you
  • Genevriel glances at it, but probably has trouble reading since her eyes are leaking.

<DiablotinNarrator> The card, once you can make it out, says "Noren Errazuris" and has contact information

<Genevriel> Thank you. But I... I don't even know what the charges are, yet?

<Madds> It doesn't matter - you need advice from someone on legal matters, and he'll be able to help.

<Madds> Now, here's what I can tell you.

  • Genevriel slips one hand into August's and dabs at her leaky face with the other.

<Madds> There is an ongoing investigation surrounding your squad. They are definitely going to want to talk to you, and that's why you will have a lawyer present.

<Madds> I can't say whether there will be charges, or whether they'll just need to interview you.

  • Genevriel nods, listening.

<Madds> Coming here was a good decision, though. It'll make things go smoother.

<Madds> It shows that you want to cooperate, and they'll appreciate that.

<Madds> Now, I'll set up a meeting for you with the people in charge of the investigation, and you should go and talk to your lawyer.

  • Genevriel nods, sniffling.

<Madds> It'll be all right, Gen.

<Madds> We look after our own.

<Genevriel> I don't want strings pulled. I want whatever happens to be justice.

<Madds> Let's just get your contact information down here...

  • Madds will take down your address and place of work and so forth, whatever ways of getting in touch with you are available
  • Genevriel hesitates before telling him that stuff, embarrassed that she lives in the slums.

<Madds> All right. Someone will be in touch with you soon, I expect.

<Madds> It won't be me, but like I said - I'll try and keep an eye out for you.

<August> Thank you

<Genevriel> Thank you.

  • August says with a polite nod
  • Genevriel plainly has mixed emotions about having someone looking out for her. :P

<Madds> And... I'm glad you made it.

  • Madds says as he sees you out
  • Genevriel nods, wisely keeping to herself that she wishes she didn't.

Hugo and Zola go to Luc Berthillon's funeral

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo, you are perusing the papers idly in your dressing room backstage when a familiar name catches your eye. Scanning back, you read the following story:

<DiablotinNarrator> "Celebrated author Luc Berthillon, 34, was found dead yesterday at his home in the Place D'Iena. He had not been seen by neighbours or friends in over a week. At last, fearing the worst, his door was opened by officers of the city guard, who discovered his remains. The cause of death is currently undisclosed, but sources indicate it is under continued investigation."

<DiablotinNarrator> "Berthillon was the acclaimed author of "The Setting Sun", his first novel, published when he was only 22, which was a great popular and critical hit, and has recently begun filming as a movie. However his second and third books did not reach the same levels of success, and he struggled to live up to his early promise."

<DiablotinNarrator> "Sources who were at the scene spoke on conditions of anonymity of a considerable amount of paper on Berthillon's desk - perhaps one final manuscript? His publisher, Jirair Kienast, refused to comment on the matter."

<DiablotinNarrator> "Berthillon's funeral will be held in two days' time, at the Ring Cross Temple. He is survived by a sister, Norma, and two nephews."

<Hugonel> Oh ... oh my! That poor man ...

  • Hugonel muses aloud, thinking to himself how lucky he is to have survived.

<Hugonel> I shall have to purchase a new scarf for the funeral.

  • Hugonel resolves steadfastly, then goes out shopping.
  • Hugonel goes to talk to Zola later that day, newly enscarfened.
  • Hugonel knocks on your dressing room door.

<Zola> Who is it?

<Hugonel> It's me, Hugo.

<Zola> Oh, come in!

  • Hugonel enters.

<Hugonel> Did you hear about M. Berthillon?

  • Zola is in the middle of putting on her face before a brightly lit vanity

<Zola> The author you told me about?

  • Zola can be assumed not to have heard anything of interest, from her tone.

<Hugonel> Yes ... he died, mysteriously.

<Hugonel> It was in the news earlier today.

<Zola> Jeepers creepers!

<Zola> Do you think it was his red haired friend?

<Hugonel> I'm afraid I do. The death is under investigation by the guard. He was found at home - hadn't been seen for a week.

<Hugonel> The papers said there were manuscripts and papers found scattered about, which I suppose could just be a new novel - or something else.

<Zola> That's so sad, you said he was quite taken with her :(

<Hugonel> I just don't understand why she'd kill him, and not me? Not that I'm objecting, mind you.

<Zola> What if she's some sort of... vampire muse... ensnaring brilliant minds and then draining them of their energies ;_;

<Hugonel> Then my question is even more pertinent, don't you think?

<Zola> If it's the same songbird, well... perhaps it's only because of all the drama that night scaring her off.

<Hugonel> I'm going to go to the funeral.

<Hugonel> I bought a new scarf.

<Zola> Yes, it's a lovely shade.

<Zola> Do you need a companion?

<Hugonel> Would you like to come? I probably could use the company to keep my courage up.

<Zola> I'm sure I could spare the time, though I don't imagine she'll be there anyhow, if she truly is responsible for his demise.

<Hugonel> Maybe not. But he was well-loved and there will be a lot of people there.

<Zola> Since when do you need courage in crowds? :)

  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> When my life is in danger, I suppose.

  • Zola looks at him.

<Zola> You really think you're in danger there?

  • Hugonel considers.

<Hugonel> No, probably not.

  • Zola nods, and turns back to the mirror and begins to outline her lips with a pencil.

<Zola> I didn't think so either... surely she'd need a few days to ensnare you with her charms and work you into a creative frenzy.

<Hugonel> No doubt.

<Zola> What if she isn't there?

<Hugonel> Well, Klara Dannan certainly will be. They're good friends.

<Zola> Hmm.

<Zola> Still haven't figured out of whom they remind you?

<Hugonel> No, I really haven't.

<Hugonel> That's partly why I want to go there.

<Zola> If you didn't say the same thing about her as Klara I'd accuse you of just having an infatuation with Eirini.

<Hugonel> It truly is odd.

  • Zola presses her lips together a few times and puts her things away

<DiablotinNarrator> okay - so you two are going to go to the funeral?

<Hugonel> (yup)

<Zola> Well, the least I can do is come along and keep people from thinking you're there to troll for sad young ladies.

  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> Not only.

<DiablotinNarrator> You can attend the funeral in two days' time, then.

<DiablotinNarrator> It's in the morning, so you'll have to actually get up before noon - or just stay up after work.

  • Hugonel will try to be well-rested, in case someone tries to ensorcel him.

<DiablotinNarrator> As you predicted, Hugo, the temple is quite packed with people. You do see some you recognize - Klara is there, as you anticipated. Dasra is also there, and a number of other people you recognize from her salon, and from other artsy circles.

  • Zola dresses rather conservatively, in a black dress, dark wool coat, and a black wool hat to keep out the winter chill.
  • Hugonel has a long black jacket and, of course, his new scarf.
  • Hugonel will make sure to sit/stand where he will be seen.

<DiablotinNarrator> The funeral proceeds fairly normally - nothing untowards happens during the ceremony. People seem upset, there are certainly some who are weeping, but it's not anything especially unusual.

  • Zola keeps an eye out for Eirini, and Klara
  • Hugonel definitely is scanning for anyone with red hair.

<DiablotinNarrator> You don't see Eirini there.

<DiablotinNarrator> Is there anyone you'd like to try and talk with after the service?

<Hugonel> (Klara, definitely, if she's available)

  • Zola lets Hugo lead the way.
  • Klara has a cluster of people around her, but you can get over to see her

<Klara> Oh, thank you for coming, so good to see you...

<Hugonel> Klara, I'm so sorry.

  • Klara nods sadly

<Klara> It was so unexpected...

<Hugonel> Have they said anything about what happened?

<Klara> I know he had been working on a new novel... he felt it was going to be his best yet. He was devoting all his energy to it.

<Zola> So tragic ;_;

<Klara> I don't know what happened, but I worry that perhaps he was overindulging in substances to help him work longer hours, and it could be that it affected his health... but please, don't repeat that - I don't know, and I don't wish to start rumours.

<Hugonel> No, no, of course not.

<Klara> We can only hope that, whatever he was working on, he managed to finish it - as his legacy.

<Hugonel> What of that 'songbird' he was seeing? Is she here?

  • Klara shakes her head

<Zola> She must be devastated.

<Klara> I haven't seen her, and ... truthfully, I don't know if they were still together. He seemed purely devoted to his work the last few times we spoke.

<Hugonel> Ah ... I can only imagine that they broke up, if she's not here.

  • Zola looks sad at that.

<Klara> Relationships with artists can be so difficult...

  • Hugonel chuckles.

<Hugonel> Do tell.

<Klara> Would you care to join a few of us for dinner later?

<Hugonel> I'd be delighted ... Zola?

<Zola> Yes, it does sound lovely.

<Zola> I wonder if we should send flowers of condolence to ... I'm sorry, I don't think Hugo told me her name...

<Klara> To his sister? Her name is Norma, I believe. He didn't have any other family as far as I'm aware.

<Hugonel> I think Zola was talking about his lover.

<Zola> I just think of how dreadful she might feel if she stayed away because she ended it... unable to cope competing with his other love...

<Klara> Oh... her name was Laurel. I'm afraid I don't know an address to send anything, though.

<Zola> A pity.

<Hugonel> Probably best not to interfere. And I'm sure the family will have a lot to sort out with the estate.

  • Klara nods

<Klara> Well, if you wish to join us for dinner, we'll be at my home, on Lilac Close in the Pav. Just a small gathering, really, nothing fancy.

<Hugonel> We'll be there.

  • Zola nods earnestly

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay - gotta move on or we'll be super over time, but you guys can plot for that, and we can do it as a solo or a thread, whichever you'd prefer)

Argent and Denise sell their hot knife

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent, you receive a message at the post office box you had set up

<Argent> (sweet!)

  • Argent will gather the Swarm to review the details... i'll read it first in private (with detect magic to avoid any potential traps)

<DiablotinNarrator> "I would like to meet with you and discuss the knife you've come across. Please meet me at the cafe on Piper's Green at 2 on the 8th of the month."

<DiablotinNarrator> It's unsigned, but the paper is clearly expensive

<Argent> So... who's going?

<Collete> Well, I guess you oughta. An' maybe Denise, as backup?

<Denise> :D

<Denise> I'll prolly just keep my mouth shut, though >.>

<Collete> I'm tryin' to decide if you oughta take the knife with you or no

<Argent> Maybe we can get a photo done of it

<Collete> I mean, if we want her to pony up cash for it, she'll have to know it's the right one... but we don't wanna just let her grab it.

<Argent> safer than bringing the knife

<Collete> yeah, that could work

<Collete> Good thinking :)

<Argent> pose it with todays paper, like in the movies

  • Francois nods

<Argent> See... I was watching a little bit

  • Argent comments to Denise

<Francois> Let's get that taken care of, then, an' then you can meet with her to work out the terms

  • Denise grins

<Argent> ok

<Collete> I really don't know what we can expect for this. Just as much as you can get, I guess. See how bad she wants it back.

<Denise> what is it ain't cash she's got to offer, like?

<Francois> like what?

<Denise> I dunno... If she used to be in the hush though, who knows >.>

<Collete> if she's really Hush, like a get outa jail free promise or somethin?

<Denise> yeah, or somethin'

<Collete> I'd rather have cash, but honestly, we ain't gonna unload this knife anywhere, it's too distinctive.

<Denise> yeah

<Collete> so.. I guess we take what we can get.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> as long as it covers us all

<Collete> yeah

<Collete> An' you can always say you gotta think it over

<Collete> if you ain't sure if it's a good deal

<Argent> So what do we know about the meeting place?

<Denise> !roll 1d20+6

  • Zola rolls for Denise: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 7 ].

<Denise> uhhhh

  • Denise shrugs

<Denise> I don't even know where in the city that is >.>

<Collete> Piper's Green, it's like a little park in the Place D'Iena, an' there's this shop in the middle of it where folks can sit out with their coffee an' watch the other folks walk by

<Denise> huh

<Argent> wide open and lots of public

<Collete> Yeah

<Denise> that's good

<Collete> We could even be nearby, like, in case somethin' goes wrong.

<Argent> we can do a walk by the day before, spot the best escape route if things don't turn out well.

<Collete> Maybe hangin' out in the bushes or whatever

<Argent> sounds like we know what to do.

  • Francois nods
  • Denise nods

<Collete> All right, let's do this :)

  • Denise grins again

<DiablotinNarrator> You can get a photo of the knife (with today's paper for proof) and scope out the cafe the day before, and Collete and Francois can find a good hiding spot nearby, where they can see the cafe

  • Argent will arrive for the meet with Denise

<DiablotinNarrator> The cafe is busy on this wintery day, as people stop in to get a cup of hot chocolate or tea or coffee to warm up on their walk.

<DiablotinNarrator> Are you going to arrive a bit early, or right on time, or late? ;)

  • Argent will follow suite with a couple cups of hot chocolate

<Argent> (a little early)

<Denise> (a little early)

<Denise> thanks!

<Argent> no sense freezing

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> if we have to wait too long, I can get the next round

  • Argent will keep an eye out for our would be buyer

<DiablotinNarrator> You are getting your drinks when a woman walks in - old, well-dressed in a fur coat, and looking around the place

<Argent> <w> thats likely our girl

  • Argent will check to see if there is anyone with her

<DiablotinNarrator> She goes to the counter and asks for a cup of tea, and a muffin with butter. "And could I have a knife with that," she asks the server, who will give her one politely.

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent, you can make a Perception check

<Argent> !roll 1d20+15

  • Zola rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+15 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 15 ] totals [ 16 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> she's clearly alone

  • Denise nods and looks around as well

<Denise> !roll 1d20+6

  • Zola rolls for Denise: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 8 ].

<Denise> (lol)

  • Denise loks to Argent

<Denise> <w> Well?

  • Old_woman looks around for a place to sit
  • Argent will approach her once she is seated
  • Denise tags along

<Old_woman> Good afternoon, young man :)

<Argent> Good afternoon... I overheard you were looking for a knife. I may have one that you could be intersted in. May I have seat so we can discuss?

  • Old_woman is quite small, slender, with long slim fingers as she offers you a seat.

<Old_woman> Certainly.

  • Argent will pull a chair out for Denise then take a seat for himself

<Old_woman> To whom do I have the pleasure of speaking?

  • Denise smiles at him and nods to the old woman

<Argent> People call me Jean

  • Old_woman glances to Denise as well

<Denise> Den, ma'am

<Old_woman> Very well, Jean and Den. Tell me about this knife.

<Argent> easier to show you, I brought a recently aquired photo. It should cement any interst you have, or not.

  • Old_woman nods
  • Argent will slip her the photo in an unsealed envelope and guage her reaction as she looks at it.

<Old_woman> !roll 1d20

  • Zola rolls for Old_woman: [ 1d20 ] getting [ 10 ].

<Old_woman> (you can roll a sense motive check)

<Argent> !roll 1d20+14

  • Zola rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+14 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 14 ] totals [ 28 ].
  • Old_woman keeps her face relatively impassive, but you sense that she has seen this before, and that it has some kind of meaning to her

<Old_woman> And you took a photograph with a newspaper, too, how clever of you :)

<Old_woman> I do have an interest in the item in question.

<Old_woman> But I also have an interest in how it was acquired - where it came from.

  • Denise lets Argent do te explainming >.>

<Argent> both the item and where it was found is available for the appropriate compensation, of course

<Old_woman> Of course

<Old_woman> and what would be appropriate compensation, in your opinion?

<Argent> (did we have a price in mind?)

<Argent> (its worth like what 8K?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yeah, that would be its sale price)

<Argent> Eight

<Old_woman> Eight imperials? You've undervalued it a little, if I may say so.

<Old_woman> Don't sell yourselves short.

<Argent> thousand

  • Old_woman smiles slightly
  • Argent is a little put off by the comment and purposely shows it

<Old_woman> I think we both know that's not going to happen.

<Old_woman> But permit me to make a counter-offer.

  • Denise tries not to sigh

<Argent> by all means

  • Old_woman looks to 'Den' for a moment.
  • Denise blinks

<Old_woman> Girl - are you a Murodea? You look like one.

<Denise> uhh.

<Denise> yes ma'am

<Old_woman> I thought as much.

  • Denise is a little surprised, not that she looks like her family, but that someone like her would know

<Old_woman> Your... hmm... Not mother, surely. Aunt? Made quite a name for herself.

  • Argent is on edge now, looking for an ambush, while keeping straight faced, as if unphased by the questioning
  • Old_woman looks back to 'Jean'

<Denise> Oh, yeah. I mean - yes' ma'am

<Old_woman> Two thousand.

  • Old_woman makes her counter-offer, though still perhaps musing on other matters

<Argent> Six seems more reasonable to me

  • Old_woman smiles as if this is all very cute

<Old_woman> Two and a favour from me at some point in the future. I'll do what I can to help you on a matter of your choice.

<Old_woman> With that comes not only the knife, but the full story of how you acquired it.

<Argent> and thats the most you're going to offer?

<Old_woman> Well, I doubt you'll be able to dispose of it elsewhere.

<Old_woman> Certainly not at a better profit than that.

  • Denise eyes argent
  • Denise purses her lips because clearly he will think of this >.>

<Argent> I have to take you're offer back. If its acceptable there will be another letter with a place to do the swap... it will be like this. The story comes with the knife then.

<Old_woman> All right.

<Argent> Thank you for your time Miss?

<Old_woman> I appreciate your candour, and I'll look forward to hearing from you again.

<Denise> ummm

<Old_woman> And girl - say hello to your grandfather from Alea, if he's still kicking.

<Denise> o_O

<Denise> yes ma'am...

  • Old_woman finishes her muffin and tea, and will depart before you, because that's just how polite criminals work

<Denise> well... huh

  • Denise says after she's gone

<Argent> Lets go

<Denise> yeah...

  • Argent will get up and head out to stroll the park, making sure they are not being followed

<DiablotinNarrator> You can do so, and you don't think you're being followed

<Denise> I guess grampa was in the guard,,,

<Argent> well that was intersting

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> well, like 500 each - that still lots of cash, right?

<Argent> it is

<Denise> it really ain't like we got any other choice

<Argent> assuming the drop goes well

<Denise> yeah

<Argent> true enough

  • Collete and Francois will join up with you from their hiding spot, eventually

<Collete> How'd it go?

<Argent> as well as it could when the person knew we didn't have much other choice than to sell it to them

<Denise> she said 2 thou an' a favour

<Collete> Two is still pretty good...

<Denise> but she want the full story, too

<Collete> and a favour... well, I dunno what that's worth, but I guess it's better than a kick in the teeth.

<Denise> of how we got it

<Collete> So, we can tell her - it ain't gonna bounce back on us, *we* didn't steal it.

<Collete> well... not from her.

  • Collete amends slightly

<Argent> thats why I didn't argue too much about the story

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> I dunno if, like, that coulnts all of how we found out about the place or just how we got in or what

<Collete> Five hundred apiece is still better than nothing.

<Denise> yeah

<Argent> more than the rest combined

  • Collete nods

<Collete> Okay - I say we make that deal.

<Collete> You can handle gettin' back in touch with her? Maybe wait a couple days so she worries more :p

<Argent> you pick a place and ill get the note delivered. Pick something like that cafe

<Collete> Sure thing.

<Argent> I'ld rather do it quick so if she's up to anything squirly she doesn't have much time to set it up

<Collete> Good work :)

<Collete> Yeah, that's a good point I guess. We can do it pretty soon.

<Francois> We shoulda got a hot chocolate too.

  • Argent laughs
  • Francois rubs his hands together from sitting freezing in the bushes

<Collete> Well, once we get paid, we can do that, baby.

<Collete> All the hot chocolate you want ;)

Solos

Hettienne and Denise vent their frustrations about Patric

  • Denise will be home when hettie gets back from her babby visit, say
  • Hettienne shakes off her coat and hangs it up.

<Denise> Hey aunt Hettie!

<Denise> how's the baby?

  • Denise asks, grinning

<Hettienne> Ohhhh! So cute! :3

<Hettienne> You gotta go see her.

<Denise> I will!

<Hettienne> Avionne, she's called.

<Denise> Aww, that's real cute1

<Denise> they finally settled?

<Hettienne> Yeah, 'bout time too!

<Denise> whose she look like more?

  • Denise grins

<Hettienne> She's a big 'un. ;)

<Denise> aww, a real Murodea then!

<Hettienne> Lotsa hair, too.

<Denise> what colour?

<Denise> did they like the pie?

<Hettienne> (I forget >.>)

<DiablotinNarrator> (black)

<Denise> (black)

<Hettienne> Black.

  • Hettienne smiles

<Hettienne> And of course they did!

<Denise> I'll try an go soon, just I was having my first drivin' lesson today @_@

<Hettienne> Oh, how's that goin'?

<Denise> uh, okay I think!

<Denise> I didn't break nothin' or hit no one!

<Hettienne> Attagirl. ;)

<Denise> and we went up around in the Pav

<Denise> but how's Uncle Thierry and Aunt Rosalie doin'?

<Hettienne> Tired, y'know... He only got a couple days off work.

<Hettienne> They've had her family over to help some though, and I said I'd come by in the afternoons when I can...

<Denise> :/

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> stupid factories >:/

<Denise> and uncle Thierry even had a good place

<Hettienne> Now *that*'s a crime.

<Denise> yeah...

  • Denise makes a grumpy face

<Hettienne> Speakin' of stupid, an' factories...

<Denise> oh yeah?

<Hettienne> Your Da is flippin' his nut over Mikel leavin'. Won't take the money Mik wanted to give him for a helper for yer Ma.

<Hettienne> "Ill gotten gains" or some horseshit.

<Denise> >.>

<Hettienne> Thierry said they might take Yvie outta school to do it.

  • Hettienne gets mad just thinking about it.

<Denise> WHAT!

<Hettienne> I KNOW!!

<Denise> They CAN'T!

<Hettienne> I say Mik oughtta just hire someone anyway.

<Hettienne> Have them come when Pat ain't there, what's he gonna do?

<Denise> They can't do that to Yvie >:|

<Hettienne> It turns my stomach.

<Denise> I ain' gonna let that happen >:|

<Denise> Ma'am wouldn't let him!

  • Denise is still sorting through her incredulity

<Hettienne> Y'all need to have an intervention.

<Denise> an anyway - she ain't strong enough

<Denise> she can't lift ma'am into bed and all, or nothin'!

<Hettienne> I don't know what he's thinkin'.

<Hettienne> He wants to see his family scrabblin' in the dirt, no schoolin' or nothin', just so he can say he's on the straight 'n' narrow

<Denise> maybe he's too good to tak my money, that doens't mean he gets to be the only one who has a say 'bou ma'am

<Hettienne> When the jackholes he works for are the biggest crooks of all

<Denise> I Know!

<Denise> An like

<Denise> he won't even talk to no one 'bout the unions 'cause he thinks *they're* all corrupt

<Denise> its so dumb!

<Denise> they're the only ones lookin' out for folks in there >:|

<Denise> An if they're gonna, they gotta get support somewhere, ya know?

<Denise> ugh!

<Hettienne> FOr sure.

<Hettienne> Well he ain't gonna listen to just you or me.

  • Denise scowls darkly

<Hettienne> Maybe we *should* get the family together.

  • Denise hesitates though, then sighs

<Denise> I dunno.

<Denise> I dunno what ma'am thinks

<Hettienne> Maybe *she* could talk some sense into 'im...

<Denise> Maybe :/

<Denise> Liek though - I don't never get to see her no more, not really

<Hettienne> How come?

<Denise> anytime I can go its like, she just taken her teas and all

<Denise> and she on her way out :/

<Denise> 'cause mostly she sleeps in the afternoons :/

<Hettienne> Maybe you could take her to that church sometime, she's awake for that ain't she?

<Denise> yeah I guess

<Denise> or maybe sometime when she goes to visit granda

<Denise> maybe he knows what's wrong with da >:|

<Hettienne> Maybe... I reckon he probably don't feel he's got the right to say nothin' though.

<Denise> I guess

<Hettienne> Still might give ya some ideas.

<Denise> I just mean like - why is he like that! YOu ain't, and Thierry ain't, an all... :/

<Denise> Was Granma real ... narrow leanin' like that?

<Hettienne> He's been that way ever since I can remember, hon. :/

<Hettienne> Naw... she was a real hard worker though.

<Denise> well, da's got that at least >.>

<Denise> too bad it all for shit >:|

<Hettienne> She was our rock... :/

<Denise> I wish I'd got to know her

<Hettienne> Pat wanted to leave school an' get a job when he was fourteen... she wouldn't hear of it.

<Denise> what, an he listened? :p

<Hettienne> Everyone listened to Mam. ;)

  • Denise smiles at that

<Hettienne> She was little like me, but when she had somethin' t'say... well watch out!

<Denise> that's still like you, aunt hettie

<Hettienne> Heh, I guess I do got a mouth on me. :v

<Hettienne> Too bad it don't work on pat like hers :v

<Denise> I dunno

<Denise> Da makes me so mad!

<Hettienne> SHe'd be rollin' ver in her grave if she knew Pat was thinkin' of pulling Yvie out of her schoolin'.

<Denise> but I worry 'bout him, you know?

<Denise> yeah well.

  • Denise grump again
  • Denise is definitely leaning on the 'mad' side of things right now

<Hettienne> Me too, sweetie... :/

  • Denise sighs again

<Denise> I guess I gotta find a time I can get up real early

<Denise> and then I can go meet Avionne, too :)

<Denise> (done?)

<Hettienne> (yeah, I need to sleepos if I can)

<Denise> (thanks!)

Gen meets with her lawyer, Noren Errazuris

  • Genevriel assumes she would have had to make an appointment to meet with Noren.

<Genevriel> (So this would be some time after the trip to Military Justice/Madds?)

<DiablotinNarrator> Yes, it would be after that, maybe a week or so?

<Genevriel> (OK)

  • Noren has an office in the Pav where you can meet with him
  • Genevriel will have prepared by trying to find some clothes suitable for meeting a lawyer, which in her case probably means a second-hand men's suit which she attempts to soften with a more feminine scarf... It would be hard to find women's clothes that fit her!
  • Noren is a tall, rather stout man with glasses and a mustache

<Noren> Good afternoon, Mlle. Doucette

  • Genevriel will also have tried to abstain from drinking in the hours leading up to the meeting... Smelling like booze probably isn't great if one hopes to be found a reliable person in a legal sense...
  • Noren says as you arrive

<Genevriel> Good afternoon, M. Errazuris.

  • Genevriel is probably rather pale and her hands might be trembling a little, but she tries to hide it.

<Noren> Can I offer you a coffee or anything?

  • Genevriel smiles nervously. "Oh, yes, please."

<Genevriel> A coffee would be fine.

  • Noren gets one of the assistants to get that for you, and will then escort you into his office and close the door behind you.

<Noren> All right. I want you to know that I'm here to support and help you through this process. Anything you tell me will be confidential.

  • Noren says once you're settled in.
  • Genevriel nods, swallowing.
  • Noren has a file on his desk that he opens, and a notepad as well.

<Noren> Do you have any questions for me before we start?

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I was curious what your rate is, so I can budget accordingly.

<Noren> Oh! Oh, I see. There must have been a misunderstanding.

<Noren> Your fees are being paid by a third party.

  • Genevriel tries not to let her frown show.

<Genevriel> Does this third party wish to remain anonymous, or is it a government organization?

  • Genevriel asks politely.

<Noren> No, no - an individual. Uh, I don't see any reason why I can't let you know. It's a M. August Merrion.

<Genevriel> Ah, I see. Thank you.

<Genevriel> Well, I've never been in any sort of legal trouble or through any sort of legal proceeding before, so if you could perhaps explain what I ought to expect, that would be helpful.

  • Genevriel forges on.

<Noren> Yes, I can try to explain.

<Noren> The 5th Squadron of Princess Tessera's Royal Infantry, uh, your former squad, are under investigation for certain incidents that took place during the war.

  • Genevriel pulls out a little notebook and pen so she can write things down if she feels she needs to.

<Noren> Specifically, causing civilian casualties and unnecessarily harsh interrogation techniques.

<Noren> There haven't been any charges laid yet. It's still in the investigative stages.

<Noren> They're working to contact the other members of the squadron in order to question them.

  • Genevriel nods. She is surprised by the civilian casualties, but not by the harsh interrogation techniques.

<Noren> It's my understanding that they've managed to get in touch with most of your team.

<Genevriel> I know they have spoken with Polly Hayn, and I think they have with Guydain Larache.

  • Genevriel agrees.
  • Noren nods

<Genevriel> They're the only two I've seen since before the peace treaty was signed.

<Noren> Still looking for ... Alric Thovas and Meg Topher. If you have any information that could lead them to those two, it would be helpful.

  • Genevriel shakes her head.

<Genevriel> I don't; I didn't even run into Polly and M. Larache until the past month or so. But if I become aware of anything, of course I will pass the information along to... you? Or the military justice branch?

<Noren> If you pass it to me, I can get it to the proper channels.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Noren> So... there are a few options for you here. I'll try to explain.

<Noren> The military doesn't really want these sort of issues to become widely known. They may have a vested interest in keeping things quiet.

<Genevriel> ...

<Noren> Depending on what role you played in these events, it may be possible they would be willing to make a deal with you. I don't know precisely what that would be, we'll have to wait and find out.

  • Genevriel nods.
  • Genevriel jots down options as Noren explains them.

<Noren> If you aren't offered a deal, or elect not to take it, then there could be charges laid, and you could be tried before a military court.

  • Genevriel nods, listening.

<Noren> If that is the case, the maximum punishment would be execution. Lesser punishments could also be possible, if it was determined that your involvement was less than others, or that the crimes were not as serious as described.

  • Noren pauses to give you a moment on that one

<Genevriel> Execution? For civilian casualties, if it's true, I suppose. It would be murder if that were the case.

  • Noren nods

<Noren> Of course I'll be working to try and avoid that for you.

<Noren> There could be mitigating factors that would work in your favour.

  • Genevriel is pretty sure she only killed rebels...

<Noren> Accidents happen during wartime. People can act in what they think is self-defense.

<Noren> I was in Psyra too. I know how it was there.

<Noren> If it does come to the point where you're facing charges, testifying against your former comrades may be your best option at that point.

<Noren> Is that something you could do, if necessary?

<Genevriel> I don't think we killed any civilians. They were all people who had been directly or indirectly involved in killing our troops.

<Noren> All right.

<Genevriel> But I am curious... are you representing all of us, M. Errazuris?

<Noren> No, only you.

<Noren> The others who have been contacted have their own counsel.

  • Genevriel looks somewhat relieved.

<Noren> I should also warn you - the process may be slow. Military Justice deal with a large number of cases, and are relatively understaffed.

<Noren> In the time that this investigation is going on, I'd ask you to remain in the city, where I can reach you as needed.

<Genevriel> Yes, of course I would stay. I don't have anywhere else to go.

<Genevriel> I don't know if I can be charged with anything, so I don't know if I would accept some sort of deal or not. But regardless of the outcome for me, if some of the others choose to go to trial, I assume that I might be called to testify against them.

<Noren> Yes, but you could elect to protect them. Sometimes bonds of loyalty can be very strong. I'm asking if you would be willing to say things that might incriminate them.

<Genevriel> ...

<Noren> If it's not something you're willing to do, that's all right. I just need to know what options we have on the table.

<Genevriel> There's one person... if I testify against that person, I think I would justifiably fear for my own safety.

  • Noren nods

<Noren> All right. We can deal with that if and when we come to it.

<Noren> Who is it?

<Genevriel> I...

  • Genevriel struggles with whether to trust you or not!

<Noren> It's all right if you can't tell me now. I understand we just met.

<Noren> I can only tell you again that I promise anything you tell me will be held in confidence.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> Larache.

  • Noren nods

<Noren> Thank you.

<Noren> I know this must be difficult for you.

<Noren> I guess I'd like to know - since you came forward of your own accord, what are you hoping the outcome will be?

<Genevriel> Justice for the victims.

  • Noren nods

<Noren> Even if that means your own punishment?

  • Genevriel nods, swallowing.

<Noren> well - I'm here to support you.

<Noren> if what that means is you want to plead guilty, for instance, I can work to get a fair sentence for you.

<Noren> but let's wait until we find out more about what's under investigation.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Noren> There's one other thing I'd like to suggest to you, if you're willing.

<Genevriel> That's what M. Merrion is paying you for, isn't it?

  • Genevriel gives him a wan gallows-humour smile.

<Noren> Yes, certainly :)

<Noren> But this would be up to you.

<Noren> Would you be willing to speak with a healer about what happened during the war? It wouldn't be part of this investigation at all - it would be for your own health and well-being.

<Genevriel> ...

<Genevriel> Did M. Merrion put you up to this?

  • Genevriel asks suspiciously.

<Noren> No, but I've benefitted from it myself to some degree, as have some others of my clients.

<Genevriel> I'm not very good at talking about my feelings.

  • Noren nods

<Noren> I understand that.

<Genevriel> What was it like?

<Genevriel> What did your healer expect you to do, I mean?

<Noren> Well, mostly she lets me talk about what's bothering me. She doesn't place a lot of demands on me - it's not really how she works.

<Noren> She thinks that just being able to talk with someone who isn't wrapped up in the issues, and isn't judging, can help.

<Noren> I have to say, for me anyway, it's helped.

<Genevriel> So, how is that different from telling friends about what happened?

<Noren> Well, I don't know how your friends are, but ... if you start talking to them about depressing subjects, or things that are uncomfortable, they may change the subject, or say "oh surely it wasn't really that bad"

<Noren> Friends can be a great help, but sometimes they aren't really able to cope with things that are too upsetting to talk about.

<Noren> And I don't want to be a burden to them either.

  • Noren admits
  • Genevriel nods; that seems to have caught her attention.

<Noren> You don't have to decide now. I can pass you her information, and it's up to you if you want to contact her.

<Genevriel> Is your healer religious or secular? Because religious people might have a problem with me.

<Noren> She's not a priest, if that's what you mean. I... honestly don't know about her personal religious beliefs, but she's never brought them up with me, if they exist.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I'll think about it.

  • Noren nods
  • Genevriel passes her notebook and pen over to Noren so he can write down her contact info.
  • Noren jots down the name - Crescence Weldreth - and a phone number and address in Rhenea.

<Noren> There you go.

<Genevriel> Thank you.

<Noren> you're welcome

<Noren> If you have any further questions, you can always contact me. I'll be in touch when there are any further developments.

<Genevriel> All right... When they want to question me, will they go through you or come directly to me?

<Noren> They'll come to me.

<Noren> Now that I'm representing you.

<Genevriel> I'll need to notify them, then, or is that part of your job?

<Noren> It's all taken care of.

<Genevriel> I see.

<Genevriel> Well, then, are we finished for today?

  • Genevriel asks politely.

<Noren> Unless you have any other question, I believe so.

  • Genevriel shakes her head.

<Genevriel> None at the moment.

<Noren> Very well.

<Noren> Good to meet you, Mlle. Doucette.

  • Genevriel extends her hand for a businesslike shake.

<Genevriel> And you, M. Errazuris.

  • Noren shakes back

Denise visits her mother and complains about her father

  • Denise will get up eaaaaaarly and go to her granpa's house, where her mom will hopefully be found
  • Denise will knock?

<Denise> (i dont' know if I can just let myself in :o)

<Elcina> (probably you know where a spare key is? ;)

  • Denise will knock first :3

<Denise> (but if no answer, will warily let herself in)

<Denise> hello?

<Elcina> hello, dear!

<Denise> Anyone home?

<Denise> mam! :)

  • Denise will give you a careful hug
  • Elcina hugs you back

<Elcina> what are you doing here? not that I'm not glad to see you...

<Denise> Ummmm

<Denise> I wanted to talk to you, is why

<Elcina> oh, well :)

<Elcina> there's some tea and biscuits if you want any breakfast

  • Elcina gestures to the kitchen

<Denise> okay!

  • Denise wanders in
  • Denise looks around for signs of her grandpa

<DiablotinNarrator> (his usual chair in the corner of the kitchen is empty, at the moment anyway)

  • Denise will also have tea and biscuits even if she had something at hime because she is allllwasy hungry these days

<Denise> is granpa not here or not up yet?

  • Denise asks, settling into another seat

<Elcina> He went out to get a few things from the market.

<Denise> ahh, okay

<Denise> . o O (Good)

  • Denise fidgets with her tea cup

<Denise> how are you doin', though?

<Elcina> Well, I'm all right.

  • Elcina says in her usual 'can't complain' way

<Denise> how's Mick and Yvie?

  • Elcina looks a little strained at that, but smiles.

<Elcina> Yvie's doing real well at school. She got a perfect mark on her latest arithmetic test.

<Denise> of course she did.

<Denise> She's the smartest Murodea ever

  • Elcina smiles

<Elcina> And she loves her little kitten - they play together all the time.

<Denise> she *did* get a kitten?

<Denise> :3

<Elcina> Oh yes - a little orange one. She calls it Spark.

<Denise> that's a good name

  • Elcina nods, smiling
  • Denise says, suddenly feeling overwhelmed with missing her sister
  • Denise pokes at her tea cup

<Denise> ...what about Mickie?

<Elcina> Well... things have been difficult, you know :/

<Elcina> He's out a lot, and he and your da argue when they're both home.

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> I heard that Da won't let him find someone to help you if he moves out

  • Elcina sighs

<Elcina> He's concerned about where the money for that will come from.

<Denise> yeah well.

<Denise> it ain't his money, is it

<Denise> to be concerned about

<Elcina> No, but that's what bothers him.

<Elcina> well, partly...

<Denise> yeah?

<Elcina> Your father's always worked hard to provide for us.

  • Denise tries to keep from getting angry about it already >.>

<Denise> I know that, mam, but it ain't enough.

<Elcina> for Mikel to come up with this money... from wherever... well, he feels like he can't do enough.

<Denise> well he can't!

<Denise> that's so stupid!

  • Elcina sighs

<Elcina> Darling, please...

<Denise> well what then?

<Denise> What's Mikel suppsed to do?

<Elcina> I don't know.

<Elcina> I don't want him to feel... trapped by me. I never wanted that for any of you.

<Denise> mam we just want to take care of hyou how we can

<Denise> And da won' *let* us!

<Elcina> :(

<Denise> like

<Denise> he ain't the only one who can work, you know

<Denise> just 'casue he don't like it, that's his problem

<Elcina> He doesn't see what you're doing... what Mikel's doing... as work.

<Denise> >:|

<Denise> I like my job - an' I'm real good at it, too.

<Elcina> I'm sure you are, darling.

<Denise> I like...

<Denise> I like knowin' that.... people are gonna be taken care of right

  • Elcina nods

<Denise> but I can't even do that for my own family :(

<Elcina> well... your father feels that way too.

<Denise> yes but - I don't gewt mad at da for workin' in a stupid factory for *nothing* if it helps!

<Elcina> :/

<Elcina> you sound mad, Denise.

<Elcina> please, calm down...

  • Denise sniffs

<Denise> I am mad, but not at that!

<Elcina> I don't want you to be upset :/

<Denise> well I am!

<Denise> it's not fair!

<Elcina> how do you want things to be?

  • Elcina asks gently
  • Denise sniffs again

<Denise> I just want like.... for someone to come in an look after you

<Denise> so Mik doesn;t have to always

<Denise> and Yviev can stay in school

<Denise> and maybe da won't have to work *so much*

<Elcina> and you have the money for that? steady, not going to disappear? :/

  • Denise thinks of that 500 gold...

<Denise> I have it comin'

<Denise> plus whatever mik's got now

  • Elcina puts her scarred hand over yours

<Elcina> I'll talk to your father. I'll tell him ... that it can't go on like this.

<Denise> okay

<Elcina> I don't want this to drive you and your brother away.

<Elcina> or Yvie too, someday

  • Denise nods

<Elcina> I just want to be able to have my children around to visit and not have a fight over it.

<Denise> :|

<Denise> I'm sorry I yelled :(

<Elcina> I love you, Denise

<Elcina> give me a hug?

<Denise> I love you too mam

  • Denise sniffs again and will getv up and give her mother a hug and try not to cry because she is tired and still upset

<Elcina> it'll be all right somehow

  • Elcina tells you as she hugs you
  • Denise nods

<Denise> We'll make it be okay >:|

  • Elcina nods

<Elcina> now come on... finish your tea and tell me how you've been.

<Elcina> It's been too long since we talked.

  • Denise will let you go and sit back down

<Denise> yeah.... it's hard with always workin' so late :/

<Denise> I been learnin' to drive though

  • Elcina nods

<Elcina> oh? that sounds exciting. I hope you're being careful...

<Denise> oh yeah

<Denise> drivin' all around up in the pav'n stuff, cause they got better streets

  • Elcina smiles, listening

<Denise> the houses there are so big an' pretty @_@

<Denise> um

<Denise> oh

<Denise> I kinda had a date?

<Elcina> you did? :) who was it with?

<Denise> I guy I know, his name

<Denise> 's Enver

<Elcina> Is he a nice boy? did you have a good time?

<Denise> we went out to the movies, with Mireva an' Argent

<Denise> yeah, he's nice

  • Elcina smiles

<Denise> he's real smart

<Elcina> what does he do?

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> he's.... kind of like a guide, say >.>

  • Elcina looks a little puzzled, but nods

<Denise> He lives in Rhenea, near the wall, I guess

<Elcina> well, do you think you'll see him again?

<Denise> for another date?

  • Elcina nods

<Denise> Well, he ain't asked or nothin', but we're both real busy with work stuff

<Elcina> do you want to?

<Elcina> you're allowed to ask him too, if you're interested :)

<Denise> I guess?

<Denise> I mean, I guess it'd be nice to maybe have a real , like just us date an see what that's like?

  • Elcina nods
  • Elcina pats your hand

<Elcina> Just be careful, hm? But have fun, if you do decide to go out with him again.

<Denise> there ain't much to be careful abou, I don't think :p

<Elcina> well, you never know :3

<Denise> I guess..

  • Denise says, somewhat dubiously bowing to maternal wisdom
  • Elcina smiles fondly

<Denise> have you gotten to see the new baby yet?

<Elcina> oh yes - they brought her over, she's lovely.

<Elcina> such a pretty girl :3

<Denise> yeah!

  • Denise will chatter about happier things

Denise extends her visit to ask her grandfather about Alea Pervenche

  • Corbin will come home from the market eventually, and nod a greeting to you when he sees you there

<Denise> hey

<Corbin> came to see your mam, hm?

  • Corbin assumes it wasn't to see him

<Denise> mmmmm.... actually, I got a question for you :3

<Corbin> oh yeah?

  • Corbin sets the things from the market down on the table and will go sit in his usual seat by the fireplace

<Corbin> Make yourself handy an' put away the bread an' all, then, an' let's hear it.

  • Denise drags herself out of her chair with a restrained 16yrold eyeroll and will put away granpa's groceries :p

<Denise> So, did you know Alea Pervenche?

<Corbin> huh?

<Corbin> why'd you wanna know?

  • Denise shrugs

<Denise> (is he surprised? grumpy? concerned?)

  • Corbin seems surprised and maybe a bit suspicious

<Denise> just curious like

  • Denise says, totally nonchalant

<Denise> (>.>)

<Corbin> Yeah, I knew the old witch.

  • Corbin amends his vocabulary slightly in front of his granddaughter ;p

<Denise> how?

<Corbin> well, she's some kinda cousin or somethin' of my Da.

<Denise> o_O

<Denise> ain't she a nob?

<Corbin> back in the undercity, though, everyone's everyone's cousin somehow.

<Corbin> sure, for whatever that means.

<Denise> ahh, i guess, yeah

<Corbin> we coulda been nobs too, if we'd kissed the right asses.

  • Corbin shrugs

<Denise> huh

<Corbin> back when I was in the guard, she'd come 'round some, all "oh can you help me out with this or that, since we're family", that sort of crap.

<Denise> pffft

<Denise> yeah, I bet

<Denise> i heard she was in the Hush, is what I heard

<Corbin> yeah, wouldn't be surprised

<Corbin> are you messin' with that sorta crowd?

<Denise> what, the Hush? o_O

<Denise> nu-uh

  • Corbin nods

<Corbin> you wanna stay outta their way

<Denise> yeah, I know >.>

<Corbin> good

<Corbin> that sort, they'll double-cross you before you can blink

<Denise> yeah?

<Denise> I guess

<Denise> anyone whose playin' both sides, an' all

<Corbin> that's right

<Corbin> at least the ones you run with, you know they've got your back

<Denise> yeah :D

<Denise> I wish Da saw it that way though :|

<Corbin> Your da's a pigheaded one.

<Denise> yeah :p

<Denise> he always been like that? :p

<Corbin> pretty much.

  • Corbin says with a shrug
  • Denise sighs

<Corbin> don't take it personal

<Corbin> it's just in his nature

<Denise> >.>

  • Denise sighs again

<Denise> be easier if *he* weren't so personal 'bout it >:|

<Denise> anyway

<Denise> prolly I should go home an have a nap or somethin

<Corbin> take it easy, then

<Denise> you too!

  • Denise will go do that, then :3

Denise visits Enver on her way home

  • Denise actually decide she will poke her head inthe cellar and see if there is "anyone" around at this time of day

<DiablotinNarrator> (it's pretty quiet, a few people are around though. Enver and Georn are there, having some breakfast - they look grimy, and tired, and like they've been up all night)

  • Denise looks around and give sthem a little wave

<Enver> oh, hey Denise :)

<Denise> hey :)

<Denise> Long night?

  • Enver brightens up when he sees you, despite looking exhausted

<Enver> yeah, lotta work

<Denise> oh yeah?

  • Denise will pull up a seat
  • Enver nods

<Enver> just havin' some eggs an' sausage an' then I'm gonna go sleep

<Enver> you're up early too, huh/

<Enver> ?

<Denise> yeah... I had some family stuff to do

  • Enver nods

<Enver> everythin' okay?

<Denise> mm >.>

<Denise> same as ever, I guess

  • Enver nods

<Denise> anyway, I thought I'd come an' see who was evern here at this time of day, so hey :)

<Enver> well, it's real nice to see you :)

<Enver> I was hopin' we'd run into each other again soon

<Denise> yeah, me too :3

  • Enver smiles at that

<Enver> I wish I was more fit for company

  • Enver says, glancing down at his dirty clothes
  • Denise shrugs

<Denise> you been workin' all night

<Enver> yeah

<Denise> ain't like you weren' plannin on goin' dancin :)

<Enver> heh, no...

<Enver> would you like to, though?

  • Enver asks lightly

<Denise> what, go dancin'?

<Enver> sure, if you wanted. or at least, go out again somewhere.

  • Denise smiles

<Denise> I'd like to go out again - I don't know too many dances though

<Enver> me neither, really

  • Enver says with a grin

<Enver> we could go to the movies again if you wanted

<Denise> well, I bet we could find somethin' fun, anyway

<Enver> or like... just get some dinner someplace, maybe.

<Denise> okay :)

<Enver> okay, great :)

<Enver> when d'you wanna get together?

  • Denise thinks

<Denise> gosh its like alost festival days, ain' it :o

<Enver> yeah, gettin' close

<Denise> well, I gotta check with Ander, see if he don't need me

<Enver> okay

<Enver> you let me know, 'kay?

<Denise> yeah :)

<Denise> say, like - you want me to walk you home?

<Enver> oh, uh... sure!

<Denise> you look pretty tired, is all

  • Enver nods

<Enver> just lemme finish up with my food

<Denise> swell

  • Enver scarfs down the rest of his breakfast, and says bye to Georn, grabbing his coat to leave with you
  • Denise says bye too, and will head out with boy

<Enver> it's not too far...

<Denise> by the wall, right?

<Enver> that's right

<Enver> well, what's left of it

  • Denise nods

<Enver> it's a pretty good place though

<Enver> I got it to myself

  • Enver says proudly

<Denise> oh yeah?

<Enver> yeah... it ain't fancy, but it's good enough for me

<Denise> I'm just stayin' with my aunt still

<Denise> but her place is real nice

  • Enver nods

<Enver> that's good - you're lucky you got family to stay with :)

<Denise> I got a big family

  • Enver nods

<Denise> you?

<Enver> 's just me

<Denise> aw, really?

<Enver> My mam died when I was a kid.

  • Enver nods

<Denise> I'm sorry :/

<Enver> dunno about my da... never knew him.

<Enver> it's okay

<Denise> . o O (Why is it non of my friend got any family o_O)

<Denise> well, you can have mine :p

<Denise> ugh

<Enver> why, what's wrong?

<Denise> he's just.... stupid stubborn >:|

<Denise> he won't take money from me, or even if he thinks its from me

<Enver> :/

<Enver> why not?

<Denise> not clean enough for him :p

<Enver> oh :/

<Enver> I wonder if we could find a way to clean it up.

  • Enver says thoughtfully

<Denise> i dunno.

<Denise> I tried givin' it to my brother but that didn't work neither

  • Enver nods

<Enver> I can try an' think about it, sometime when I ain't half-asleep

  • Denise smiles

<Denise> if you do, you lemme know

<Denise> Mam was gonna try and talk some sense into him but we'll see

  • Enver nods

<Enver> my place is right down here...

  • Enver says, leading you around a corner and down a sloping street towards the old stone walls that once marked the edges of the city however many centuries ago
  • Denise looks where indicated, trying to pull her thoughts away from depressing family things again
  • Enver points up - but it still takes a second to realize that it's actually *above* the wall, like an old gatehouse or something.

<Denise> woah neat!

<Enver> yeah :)

<Enver> it's kinda run down, so I got it pretty cheap... but I like it.

<Denise> that's still pretty cool

  • Enver heads to a ramshackle staircase that leads up the wall to the door of the house

<Enver> well... yeah, so this is where I live

<Enver> did you wanna come in, or...?

  • Denise had not thought this part through @_@

<Denise> Ummmm....

<Denise> Probably I should let yo go to bed...?

<Enver> yeah, okay

  • Denise says uncertainly

<Enver> well, bath an' get to bed

  • Denise smiles

<Denise> okay

  • Enver reaches out his hand to you
  • Denise reaches back?

<Denise> Um, I'll let you know after I talk to Ander?

  • Enver gives your hand a squeeze

<Enver> oh, okay, yeah

  • Enver sets foot on the stairs, getting up a step so he's even with your height
  • Enver leans over and kisses you

<Denise> !

  • Denise is caught very by surprise!
  • Enver draws back after a short kiss

<Denise> *blink*

<Enver> I'll see you soon

<Denise> ...okay

  • Denise puts a hand to her freshly kissed lips
  • Enver smiles
  • Denise smiles a little shyly

<Enver> bye :)

<Denise> bye!

  • Denise will wander home dazed to have confusing naps

Zola and Hugo attend a weird party

  • Zola picks out a completely different black dress to wear to dinner

<DiablotinNarrator> anything you two want to discuss before you go?

<Hugonel> I don't even know if we should be doing this, Zola. What are we doing, really?

<Zola> I assumed we were attending a social event?

<Zola> Were you thinking something more clandestine?

<Hugonel> I don't know. I mean, no, of course, we're going to dinner. But ... well, you know ...

<Zola> Well unless Berthillon's doll shows up, I didn't imagine we'd discover much of anything. You made it sound like Klara didn't much remind you of anything important.

<Hugonel> I know.

<Hugonel> Let's just go and be our dazzling selves.

<Zola> That was my plan. :)

  • Hugonel smiles.

<Zola> If this Eirini thing is still bothering you, maybe we should figure out something more concrete to do... other than attending funerals and parties.

<Hugonel> Attending things is what I do best.

<Zola> Well perhaps how we usually exercise our social skills may not be as useful in investigation :)

<Zola> Maybe we could seduce a nice investigator couple?

<Hugonel> I think perhaps not.

<Zola> Well I think we *could* ...

  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> Let's get on our way.

  • Zola nods

<DiablotinNarrator> So, you head over to Klara's address?

<Hugonel> (sure)

<Zola> (Would we have brought something?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (up to you?)

<Zola> (not sure about post-funeral dinners)

<Zola> (Is it customary?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (well, it's not the close family of the deceased, so you wouldn't be any more obligated to bring them something than you would at any dinner party?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (like they probably don't need a casserole, but a bottle of wine might be polite?)

<Zola> (OK, if a bottle of wine would be customary, Zola would bring one)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)

  • Zola tries to get one at an OK price from the club? :P

<DiablotinNarrator> (heh. it's only slightly used!)

  • Zola aims higher than she normally would since music reviewer >_>
  • Zola links arms with Hugo as we walk to the entrance :3

<DiablotinNarrator> Klara's home is in a rather nice part of the Pav, Lilac Close. It's fairly large for a single person (you assume she lives alone) and is on a large lot with several trees and what looks like an extensive garden.

  • Klara will answer the door when you arrive

<Hugonel> Good evening, Klara.

<Klara> It's lovely to see you both, I'm glad you could come.

<Zola> It's our pleasure.

<Zola> Such a charming home... and lovely grounds.

<Klara> Thank you

<Klara> Please, come in.

  • Hugonel enters and surveys the scene.
  • Klara ushers you into her home. A handful of other people are standing or sitting in the parlour, and turn to look at you as you enter
  • Zola will step in. "We brought a little something... Hugo dear?"

<Hugonel> Ah, yes.

  • Hugonel proffers our wine which we definitely did not abscond with from the cabaret.
  • Zola paid for it >_>

<Klara> Oh, lovely, thank you :)

<Hugonel> (do I recognize anyone else here?)

  • Klara will go around to introduce you to the assembled guests.
  • Zola smiles for the assembled, and looks to see if she recognizes anyone

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo and Zola, you do both recognize one person, Jonas Steinrenne, who is the violinist at the cabaret.

  • Zola smiles broadly at the ghoul

<Hugonel> Jonas, how nice to see you.

<DiablotinNarrator> The other guests are introduced as Vernel Nicandor, whom you may have heard of as a fashion designer, Tiazi, who is an elven opera singer, Jaida Misain, who apparently owns vineyards and deals in wine, and Peladan Allais, who is a diviner and appears to be blind, by his dark glasses.

<Jonas> Yes, good to see you both. Unexpected, but pleasantly so :)

<Hugonel> Were you at the funeral as well?

<Jonas> no, I didn't really know M. Berthillon - but as I'm friends with Klara, I wanted to be here to support her.

<Hugonel> Of course.

<Klara> I'll just take this to the table with the others

  • Klara says re. the wine, whisking it to the dining room

<Zola> How long have you two been acquainted?

<Jonas> Since she came to the city, oh, I suppose it was about six or seven years ago now?

<Zola> We've only met recently... Hugo invited her to the Cabaret, I'm sure she mentioned it.

<Jonas> I'm impressed you were able to talk her into going - she's usually a bit more highbrow ;)

<Zola> (And that would definitely be because you're friends and not because Zola was amazing >_>)

  • Jonas teases

<Zola> Our Hugo can be a real charmer :)

<Hugonel> What can I say to that?

  • Hugonel laughs.
  • Jonas does as well

<DiablotinNarrator> Oh yes, for the record, both Jaida and Peladan have red hair, although they're also both a bit older in appearance, so maybe with some grey mixed in.

<DiablotinNarrator> just thought you'd want to know, for conspiracy purposes ;p

<DiablotinNarrator> Vernel is quite thin, with curly brown hair, and Tiazi has brown hair as well.

  • Hugonel will look for where the wine is being served and get himself some.

<Zola> (And me, jerk!)

  • Klara can pour you a glass of wine, certainly

<Klara> (do you want some of the kind you brought, or some of whatever she's already got on hand?)

<Hugonel> (whatever)

  • Zola won't be picky.

<Hugonel> (and get your own!)

  • Zola will find herself some wine then, if Hugo's not going to be a gentleman *sniff*
  • Klara will pour some of the wine she already has, then, saving your bottle for later

<DiablotinNarrator> ... remind me whether either of you tried the wacky wine at the club that night?

<Zola> (Not I.)

<Hugonel> (uhh, I forget, sec, let me check)

<Hugonel> (no)

<Hugonel> (unless what's in the wine is the same as whatever is in Eirini's 'hairpin')

<DiablotinNarrator> (well, even if it was, you didn't taste the hairpin ;)

<Hugonel> (nope)

<DiablotinNarrator> In any case, this wine is very mellow and doesn't at all make you go crazy

<Zola> (Hee)

<Klara> This is from one of Jaida's vineyards - you'd have to ask her which one, I'm not an expert.

  • Zola will hold it up for a sniff and appreciative sip before commenting on how lovely it is.

<Hugonel> Oh, this is a lovely vintage.

  • Zola nods in agreement.

<Klara> Yes, isn't it? It's very sad - so much of the best winemaking territory was ruined in the war, and it'll take years, decades, for it to regrow.

<Hugonel> Indeed.

<Zola> Oh, did she lose much of her vineyards in the war?

<Klara> Yes, I believe so. She's been working on rebuilding, but it's difficult.

<Klara> On the plus side, she tells me, prices for the older vintages have skyrocketed.

<Zola> That should help make up for her financial losses at least...

  • Klara nods

<Klara> well, I should just check on dinner - help yourselves if you would like some more, of course!

<Zola> Thank you :)

  • Hugonel circulates around, being his usual charming self.

<Zola> And if we brought a competitor's vintage tonight, feel free to tuck it out of sight :)

<Klara> heh

  • Zola sticks with Hugo to start

<DiablotinNarrator> anyone specific you wanted to talk to?

<Zola> (Alma wants to talk to PEladan)

<Hugonel> (yes but she's not here, so butt out)

<Zola> (She might be watching?)

<Hugonel> (Seth is watching you from the walls)

<DiablotinNarrator> (and Seth could be standing in a wall right now)

<DiablotinNarrator> (lol)

<Hugonel> (back to our current characters ... I'll go talk to Vernel)

  • Zola will probably whisper to Hugo that we should compliment Jaida on her wine and hit up the opera singer.

<Zola> (That works :3)

<Hugonel> M. Nicandor, so very nice to meet you. I am Hugonel Silveira.

  • Vernel is, of course, dressed very elegantly, quite cutting edge fashion

<Vernel> Enchanted.

  • Vernel says politely, with a smile

<Zola> And I'm Zola :)

  • Vernel smiles warmly, offering his hand

<Vernel> It's lovely to meet you. May I ask, where did you get that frock?

  • Zola takes his hand with a smile in return.
  • Zola will mention she got it from some nice but not very prestigious boutique... she's probably dressed up above her parents' store for tonight :P

<Zola> I'm afraid I don't know the designer...

  • Vernel looks you up and down, even going so far as to stroll around you

<Zola> Oh dear...

<Vernel> It's not bad - black is a good colour on you, at any rate. Not everyone can carry it off.

  • Vernel assures you
  • Zola smiles.

<Vernel> I imagine during your performances your attire is more vibrant, though?

<Zola> Oh, of course, unless I was hoping to set a sombre tone...

<Zola> My favourite is a bright and flashing red.

  • Vernel nods

<Vernel> That would be excellent, yes, I can see it now :D

  • Zola describes a few of her favourite dresses for performing, and her accoutrements...
  • Vernel nods

<Zola> A few elements would be quite over the top out and about, but that's showbiz for you :)

<Vernel> Oh, nonsense, I can tell you're a woman of taste and refinement :)

  • Hugonel nods eagerly, smiling.
  • Zola blushes a little

<Zola> What sort of lovely things are you working on currently?

  • Vernel can describe some of his current projects
  • Zola listens with interest, will comment if anything fits her particular style.

<Vernel> Would you like to come to my studio one of these days? Perhaps we could reach an arrangement - I'm sure many people visiting your club must emulate your choices in fashion.

<Zola> That does sound like a smart idea :)

<Vernel> Excellent!

  • Vernel gives you the address of his studio, then
  • Zola will get the address or phone number to call and arrange something.
  • Zola will write it down and slip the notepad back into her clutch.
  • Zola smiles earnestly

<Zola> I look forward to being a shining example of your designs :)

<Vernel> I'm sure you will be :D

  • Zola nudges Hugo a bit and gives him a smile :D
  • Hugonel smiles broadly.

<Hugonel> M. Nicandor, it really is a pleasure. Thank you for your time.

<Vernel> Of course!

  • Tiazi is a small, delicately-featured elven woman with long, curling brown hair and an olive complexion.
  • Hugonel and Zola head over to talk to Tiazi

<Hugonel> Good evening.

<Zola> A pleasure to meet you. I'm Zola, and this is Hugo.

<Tiazi> Hello

  • Tiazi says with a smile
  • Tiazi speaks with a slight accent

<Tiazi> It's very nice to meet you too.

<Zola> (Is her name recognizable to Zola?)

<Tiazi> I understand you are a singer as well?

  • Tiazi is the new big name at the Imperial Opera - she's very well-known, especially if you read things like the tabloids ;)

<Zola> (Oh, heh.)

<Zola> (Scandalous then?)

<Tiazi> (well... a subject of speculation, at least. there haven't really been any other major Cozovode celebrities yet, so she's exotic and interesting regardless of what she does)

<Zola> Yes, I perform at Titania's Cabaret, where Hugo here is emcee.

<Tiazi> How interesting! What is a cabaret, exactly?

<Zola> I recognized your name as soon as Klara told us who you were.

<Zola> Ah... it's a more casual venue for night-time entertainment?

<Zola> Titania's features a variety... song, dance, comedy...

<Hugonel> You should come by when you have a night off. I'm sure that Princess Titania would be honored by your presence.

  • Zola nods in agreement.

<Tiazi> Ah, it sounds very interesting. And it is one of your Princesses who .. operates it?

<Hugonel> She's the owner.

<Tiazi> How fascinating...

<Hugonel> It's a lively performance, warm, friendly, the sort of place one brings new friends or the best of old friends.

  • Tiazi smiles at that

<Tiazi> I have only begun to make friends here in this city

<Hugonel> How long have you been here?

<Tiazi> Not quite a year yet.

<Hugonel> So short! I heard of you shortly after your arrival, then!

<Tiazi> I have been fortunate to meet people like Klara, who was able to help me secure auditions and connect with the right people

<Zola> Fortunate indeed, you're already the talk of the Imperial Opera :)

<Hugonel> Your Aveyronnais is impeccable. I'm afraid my Cozovode is a little rusty - not much opportunity since my studies at the Castalia.

<Tiazi> thank you

  • Tiazi says to both of you

<Tiazi> (you can make a Perception check, both of you)

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+6

  • Zola rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 7 ].
  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 16 ]

<Tiazi> (Zola, you notice something sort of ... odd as you look at her. Her hair, which is hanging loose down her back, seems to... move slightly on its own, not with her motions. Hugo, maybe you're too distracted by boobs?)

<Hugonel> (booooobs)

<Zola> Well, we would be so thrilled to have you visit the Cabaret sometime... perhaps you might meet some worthy friends :)

<Zola> Oh, Jonas plays the violin there as well...

  • Tiazi nods with interest. A strand of her hair curls up like a curious tendril and then retreats again

<Tiazi> I shall have to make a visit, then.

  • Zola looks a little distracted

<Zola> Ah... you have such lovely curls...

<Zola> Are they enchanted?

<Tiazi> oh.. thank you. the ladies here, so many wear their hair short, I understand long hair is not in fashion now.

<Tiazi> but I cannot part with them.

  • Tiazi chuckles a little

<Tiazi> they have a little bit of a mind of their own

<Zola> I thought perhaps it was a style from Cozovode...

  • Tiazi nods

<Zola> To have your locks enchanted...

<Tiazi> or perhaps it is a very sad curse I am under - to suffer with such troublesome hair :)

<Zola> All curses should be so fetching :)

  • Hugonel laughs.
  • Tiazi smiles mysteriously

<Zola> Hugo, we should attend one of Tiazi's performances very soon.

<Hugonel> Of course, what a wonderful idea!

<Tiazi> oh, yes, you should!

<Tiazi> and I will also come to yours

<Tiazi> it will be very interesting I'm sure

  • Tiazi says with a charming smile to Hugo
  • Zola will tell her the address of the Cabaret
  • Hugonel smiles warmly.

<Hugonel> I'd be delighted.

<Zola> Klara or Jonas will know all that anyhow :)

  • Tiazi nods
  • Zola drinks the last of her wine

<DiablotinNarrator> The wine is indeed *very* calming, Zola. even weird mobile hair doesn't freak you out the way it otherwise might.

<Klara> Dinner is ready, please, come into the dining room.

  • Klara announces to her guests

<Zola> We should get another glass before we say hello to Mlle. Misain (Mme?)

<Zola> Oh, no time :)

<Hugonel> Indeed not. Time to eat!

  • Klara has everything elegantly laid on the table, and each of you can find a seat. Zola, you're sitting between Peladan and Hugo, and Hugo, on your other side is Jaida.
  • Zola gives Hugo her arm

<Zola> (Well, to the table)

<Zola> Good evening, M. Allais I believe?

<Zola> I'm Zola, it's a pleasure to meet you.

  • Peladan turns to you, despite (presumably?) not being able to see you.

<Peladan> And you as well.

<Peladan> You came here looking for answers. Have you found them yet?

  • Peladan gives you sort of a weird vibe, Zola. Sitting next to him, it feels almost like the air is ... rippling, somehow?
  • Zola is a little taken off guard, not expecting him to go all seer on her randomly at the dinner table.

<DiablotinNarrator> The meal consists of a clear broth with small dumplings and leeks, ample servings of roasted root vegetables, rice garnished with lemon and almonds, and a platter of baked trout.

<Zola> Hmm. Well, I haven't, I suppose, but I didn't truly expect any. I think I truly came more for the opportunity to meet interesting people...

<Zola> ... that I did find, certainly.

  • Peladan smiles at that

<Peladan> You weren't expecting answers, but I see you've nevertheless kept an open mind.

<Zola> Did you have any advice about the former?

<Peladan> Perhaps... for a price.

<Zola> Hah.

<Klara> Now, no business at the dinner table :)

  • Klara says mock-sternly to him

<Zola> We all need to make a living, don't we? :)

<Klara> True, certainly - but you're my guests tonight, and I'm obligated to protect you, even from the machinations of my other guests ;)

  • Klara says with a playful tone but might not actually be joking

<Klara> Now, is everyone's glass full? We should have a toast before we eat.

  • Jaida will make sure everyone's got some wine
  • Hugonel will take a new glass, because hey, why not?
  • Zola is quite appreciative of that
  • Klara lifts her glass.
  • Zola prepares to toast

<Klara> To those who can't be with us tonight. From the exiles, to the missing and the dead.

<DiablotinNarrator> "From the exiles, to the missing and the dead" echo the others solemnly.

  • Zola will toast, somewhat mechanically.

<Zola> (That phrase is presumably not a common toast :P)

<DiablotinNarrator> (nnno.)

<Zola> (I'm also assuming the empire is too big to bother exiling people :P)

  • Hugonel will toast politely.

<DiablotinNarrator> (yeah, it's not really a thing. where would they go?)

<Zola> (And it's not like they couldn't just sneak back in somewhere.)

  • Zola sets her glass down after the toast.

<DiablotinNarrator> After that, the meal seems to pass in something of a blur. You can remember bits and pieces of conversation, laughter, excellent food and wine... but the details are just a little hazy. Maybe the wine?

<Hugonel> (wheeee!)

  • Zola was going to /try/ to see if she could tell with SM if Allais could see things through other means >_>

<DiablotinNarrator> (you can try a SM)

  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 26 ]

<DiablotinNarrator> Zola - you have the impression that he is looking at things, yes.

  • Zola notes this curiously... it's not as if seeing without sight is an unheard of thing >_>
  • Jaida puts away *a lot* of wine, Hugo, you can definitely recall that much
  • Jaida gets louder and more belligerent as the evening wears on. She turns to you once, and you would swear her face is like an animal's, snarling fangs. Her fingers dig into your arm like claws.
  • Klara says something to her soothingly, and she seems to calm down again - especially once she has a bit more wine.

<Hugonel> (did that actually happen? or am I just imagining it?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (good question!)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I guess you can check your arm for clawmarks later)

<Hugonel> (eep!)

  • Klara said something like "keep peace under my roof, handmaiden," you think. which when you give it more thought, when your brain is less fuzzy, is an odd thing to say.
  • Zola spends her time derpily charming Allais :V
  • Peladan asks you odd questions, Zola. You can sort of recall them later, or you think you can... but it's almost as if the things he was asking you were masks for the deeper questions?

<Peladan> What is your most treasured childhood memory?

  • Peladan asks, for example
  • Zola tells him about learning about magic from her aunt.
  • Peladan smiles, nodding as he absorbs your story
  • Zola also tells him about Bastien of course.
  • Zola describes Bastien's favourite hats

<DiablotinNarrator> The meal lasts long into the night, or it feels like it does.

  • Klara will finally bid you good night, with her thanks for coming.

<Hugonel> I ... thank you, Klara, for a most interesting evening.

  • Hugonel says, tipsy or confused or both.

<Zola> Yes, quite lovely.

  • Klara smiles

<Klara> It was marvellous to have you both. Just what I needed tonight.

  • Klara gives each of you a kiss on the cheek before you go.
  • Zola takes Hugo's arm as we head to the cab.
  • Klara sends you off into the night, rather dazed. The trees around her house sway in a breeze you can't feel.

<Zola> That was ... odd.

  • Zola says tiredly.

<Hugonel> Yes. Did that ... happen?

<Zola> It did, but...

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo, the sleeve of your jacket is definitely torn in strips, and there are parallel scrapes on your arm.

<Hugonel> Damn.

  • Hugonel says, looking at his arm.

<Zola> What happened there?

<Hugonel> I think ... it was Jaida?

<Zola> What? When?

<Hugonel> When ... Zola, I just don't know. I thought it was that I was drunk. She looked like ... well, maybe, I don't know ...

<Zola> Why didn't you say anything? You must have been bleeding.

<Hugonel> I didn't think it happened. It ... seemed like maybe I imagined it.

<Zola> This whole night stinks, Hugo.

<Zola> Something's not right. That toast, what sort of wierdness was that? And Tiazi's hair /moved/. I was going to see if it was enchanted but Klara called for dinner.

<Hugonel> I was wondering what you were talking about.

<Hugonel> I didn't see that.

<Zola> Allais asked me if I found the answers we were looking for by coming here... and Jonas... well he just looks wierd.

<Hugonel> Yes, but that's not new. He always looks weird.

<Zola> Yes, it's nothing on its own...

<Zola> Did Vernel seem wierd?

<Hugonel> Not especially so to me ... did you think so?

<Zola> No...

  • Zola doesn't seem satisfied by that answer.

<Hugonel> I just ... I think I just want to go home. I need to clear my head.

<Zola> Yes, that's a good idea.

<Hugonel> But ... remember what you can. And ... let's remember together.

<Zola> We should write it down once we find a cab.

<Hugonel> Yes, all right. I don't have a pen, or paper, or ... anything.

<Zola> Especially that creepy toast.

  • Zola shakes her clutch

<DiablotinNarrator> You can catch a cab once you make it out to a main street

  • Zola writes a few things down under the street lights
  • Zola rereads it to make sure she isn't writing like a stoned person too :P
  • Zola will write out Hugo's wierdness too

<DiablotinNarrator> All right, you can both head home and sleep very soundly after that.

  • Zola cuddles Bastien and her notebook >_>

(OOC stuff below)

<DiablotinNarrator> so - in light of this, I'm interested to know your intentions for game tomorrow. I didn't want to make plans for you before this, since I thought maybe it might affect your plans.

<Hugonel> uhhh ... yeah

<Hugonel> who do I know who might be able to sort out some of this stuff? Loick?

<DiablotinNarrator> well, he does know a lot about magic stuff

<DiablotinNarrator> he could be a good person to talk to

<Zola> We might want to visit the library that I didn't buy a membership to >_>

<Elanya> Xan has takewn out all the Fey books :p

<Zola> Can sober Zola get roles on anything?

<Zola> rolls

<Zola> blind seers, handmaidens, and the toast?

<Zola> also hair

<DiablotinNarrator> what sort of rolls?

<Zola> moving hair

<Zola> K?

<DiablotinNarrator> K:weird?

<Zola> Yeah

<Zola> All Ks are in class so :P

  • Zola rolls em all

<DiablotinNarrator> heh

<Zola> er, can be used untrained even, is more pertinent

<Hugonel> I'll do that then unless you have some better idea. I don't think Hugo's up to actually confronting Klara or anyone else

<DiablotinNarrator> K: nature I guess, Zola

<Zola> Do we want to talk sober before our scene Steve?

  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 18 ]
  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 19 ]
  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 16 ]

<Zola> for seers, handmaidens and the toast

<Zola> clawed things seems pretty vague :P

<Hugonel> I only have K: arcana, history, local, and nobility, so probably I'm no damn use

<Zola> well the phrase might have historical meaning ?

<Hugonel> I doubt it?

<Hugonel> but maybe

<DiablotinNarrator> you can roll k:history about the toast if you want, Hugo

<DiablotinNarrator> at least it might tell you if it *doesn't* have some historical meaning

<Hugonel> ... do I get my human-related bonuses? ;P

<Zola> haha

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+15

  • Zola rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+15 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 15 ] totals [ 27 ].

<Hugonel> so it's that, or 22 if it's not human-related

<Elanya> I am assuming it is not :p

<Zola> Alas, our Overwhelming Beauty won't work on them, Hugo :(

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo - you don't think that phrase relates to any part of Aveyronnais history that you know about. Exile isn't really a ... thing here. It's not a Psyrene thing either as far as you know.

<Hugonel> no surprise

<DiablotinNarrator> nor is it a quote from some famous work of literature or song or whatever, at least not that you know about.

<DiablotinNarrator> Zola - the toast you can't get much out of.

<Zola> curse you middling rolls!

<DiablotinNarrator> Seers, well, there are a lot of stories/tales about seers, particularly blind ones. You think you have some inklings there of legends

<Zola> Even somewhere to start looking if we get into the library might be useful >_>

<Zola> Sooo Hugo, do you know anyone who can get us in without coughing up al ot of cash? :P

<DiablotinNarrator> probably the best you can manage is in regards to 'handmaidens' with some sort of animal/savage aspects.

<DiablotinNarrator> You seem to have an idea that in Psyra, they had some different religious traditions (not a lot of ideas what those were, but ... something before the Way of the Wheel, anyway)

<DiablotinNarrator> Servants of the animal gods they followed there might have been 'handmaidens'? that sounds sort of familiar to you anyway. a place to look into.

<Zola> (I have the same score in K-R if that matters :P)

  • Zola nods

<DiablotinNarrator> you can roll k:r

<Hugonel> I can get us into the Castalia library

  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 11 ]

<Zola> lol

<DiablotinNarrator> yeah, nothing really more than that

<Zola> If she was more into classical themes she'd probably already have a membership

<Zola> But Zola's pretty contemporary :3

<DiablotinNarrator> okay, so your plan is to talk to Loick and go to the library?

<Zola> Suuuure.