Diablotin 2 session 54

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 2 session logs
Previous Session 54 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: 2010-10-31
Diablotin date: Beginning of Fourth-month

Prologue

[DiablotinNarrator] The city is subdued but simmering in the aftermath of the Levellers' riot. Although it was put down relatively quickly and peaceably, nevertheless about a dozen people died in the chaos, whether attacked or crushed by the mob.

[DiablotinNarrator] There was also an (unrelated?) disturbance in Pearl City the following week, when members of the so-called People's Patrol clashed with guards over their perhaps over-vigorous closing of a sheen den. Three people were killed, including one guard.

[DiablotinNarrator] Now, at the opening of Fourth-month, the populace is wary and tense, uncertain what may happen next.

Enoch Walther presents the results of the Kholm Expedition to the Society

[DiablotinNarrator] Meanwhile, the Society continues its usual operations - these petty troubles can't stand in the way of scholarship!

[DiablotinNarrator] Tonight's talk is by Enoch Walther, reporting on the results of his recent expedition to the abandoned settlement of Gsran, so it is of particular interest for each of you.

  • Enoch steps up to the podium after Vianca introduces him, clears his throat, and begins.
  • Enoch relates the story of your journey quite straightforwardly, without a lot of embellishment.
  • Enoch also has a number of the artifacts you brought back out on display, including the massive carved tusk, an assortment of the coins and arrowheads, sketches made of the ruins and the paintings in the cave, and so on.

[Enoch] I would be remiss if I did not thank those who assisted me in these explorations - Princess Ilphère Kizer, Sister Alma de Béziers, Ser Danyel Rackley, M. Guillame Rionet, M. Dominik Rademacher, M. Sanadhil Orecalo, M. Seth Argo, and Mlle. Ysabeau Chanuier.

  • Enoch adds.

[DiablotinNarrator] People have many questions afterwards, as would be expected.

[DiablotinNarrator] Finally, the group breaks up for refreshments and more casual conversation.

[DiablotinNarrator] (and you can talk to one another)


Guillame, Ilphere and Sanadhil

  • Guillame heads, as usual, for the buffet
  • Sanadhil will fetch himself a glass of something - juice if there is anythig, wine if not
  • Ilphere will hit the snack table as well... :3
  • Ilphere nibbles on a pastry.

[Sanadhil] Good evening your Highness, M. Rionet....

[Ilphere] Good evening...!

  • Ilphere says brightly.

[Guillame] Hello, M. Orecalo!

  • Sanadhil smiles politely in return

[Sanadhil] this is somewhat fortuitous

[Sanadhil] I had wanted to ask you about a matter that M. Rionet may have some interest in as well.

[Ilphere] Oh...?

  • Sanadhil glances towards Alma briefly

[Guillame] Mm?

[Sanadhil] I was speaking to the countes the other day about Kavreshar, and she called him something specific - i'd meant to ask her what she meant, but the conversation took another turn

  • Ilphere picks up another tart.

[Sanadhil] In any case... she called it a hell Wyrm - which may just be a generic description, but it does seem to me that it is likely to have some demonic relationship - might you now anything about it?

[Sanadhil] it is more your area of expertise

[Ilphere] Hell Wyrm...?

[DiablotinNarrator] (you can have a K:planes roll, Ilphere)

[Ilphere] Do you mean Hell*fire* Wyrm?

[Sanadhil] possibly?

[Ilphere] (31 k: planes)

[DiablotinNarrator] (yeah, must be hellfire wyrm, Ilphere)

[Ilphere] (Shall I also roll for what I know about it?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (I think you already did at one point, didn't you? when you were originally looking into it?)

[Ilphere] (maybe... I think now that you mentioned it I rolled poorly and was going to go look it up though)

[DiablotinNarrator] (anyway - you can know the basics about it, presuming you looked it up at some point)

[DiablotinNarrator] (big, scary, radiates heat, can turn into something close to but not exactly human-looking)

[Ilphere] Well, it is a large and powerful creature...

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ilphere] They are found in what some call the plane of Hell.

[Guillame] ...

[Ilphere] It can change its shape, but cannot *exactly* approximate a humanoid form...

[Ilphere] What does this have to do with M. Rionet?

  • Ilphere asks with a puzzled look.

[Sanadhil] I was concerned that if it is taking a more active interest in the city, as your dream seemed to suggest, that it might be seeking to cause chaos through the levellers.

[Ilphere] Ah, I see...

  • Guillame nods

[Sanadhil] How close an approximation can it manage?

[Sanadhil] are there some signs?

[Ilphere] (Would I know?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (your understanding is that there would probably be some sign - unusual colouration or odour, for instance)

[Ilphere] There would be some sign... an unusual colouration, perhaps an odd smell...

  • Sanadhil nods

[Guillame] I can't think of anyone like that at meetings

[Sanadhil] well, perhaps it is nothing, then

[Guillame] But the same is true of anyone suggested as a suspect so far - anyone notable at all.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] well i would prefer to think that kavreshar continues to maintain his distance, but I'm somewhat dubious.

[Ilphere] As am I... :/

  • Sanadhil eyes the others

[Sanadhil] I'd liek to know where the Countess came upon her information, in any case

[Sanadhil] shall we?

[Ilphere] Certaibly...

  • Sanadhil looks to see if Guy is joining us, and then will head over to the other group

[Guillame] Still, it might be worth putting anyone we suspect to closer scrutiny

  • Guillame will join you

[Sanadhil] definitely.

  • Sanadhil agrees


Alma, Dominik, Seth and Ysabeau; later joined by Sanadhil, Guillame and Ilphere

  • Alma will gravitate towards Ysabeau and Dominik.
  • Dominik is being his quiet self

[Alma] Good evening Ms. Chanuier, Mr. Rademacher.

[Dominik] Sister

  • Seth will grab a drink to be polite, then head over to the group.

[Alma] Mr. Argo.

[Seth] Good evening, Sister Alma, Ms. Chanuier, Mr. Rademacher.

[Dominik] Mr Argo

[Alma] I wonder what sort of impact tonight's talk will have...

[Seth] In what respect?

[Alma] (I assume nothing was kept back, Julie? And I assume the religious bit were met with some whispers/gasps?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (correct)

[Alma] Well, the revelations of the beliefs of Aushinre's people will likely attract quite a bit of attention in the long term.

[Alma] While a number of us know, and have likely passed on the information, it is now truly "public".

  • Ysabeau turns her attention from a courteous exchange of greetings with Verity to Alma, Seth and Dominik.

[Seth] I imagine that a number of individuals will simply remain skeptical. After all, for most of the more controversial claims, there is only our word.

[Ysabeau] Good evening, Sister, M. Argo.

  • Ysabeau smiles for both of you.

[Alma] True, such things have happened before in the history of the faith.

[Ysabeau] And among those who are less sceptical, a healthy and stimulating debate may commence.

[Alma] It would be nice to have a better head start as to what its import is.

  • Alma shrugs.

[Seth] Yes, I agree. Although I am no theologian, it seems that we must all become ... amateurs ... if we are to deal with this topic.

[Alma] I suppose it's a reminder to be modest.

[Alma] Ah, you recall our discussion about my curiosity with Nash?

[Seth] I do, of course.

  • Alma steps a bit closer and lowers her voice.
  • Ysabeau listens closely.

[Alma] It is a bit more pressing now.

[Seth] How so?

[Alma] (Did I tell you about Strauch's murder?)

[Seth] (I don't think so)

[Alma] Well, there was recently a murder at the Nine Elms church at which I serve...

  • Alma explains the bare bones of the story.

[Seth] Hmm, very perplexing.

[Alma] From the speak with dead ritual, I learned that he both believed he was killed by the hush in retaliation for the murder of a woman named THeodis Maez, and that he participated in the theft of the necklace.

[Alma] When asked about his primary loyalty, he said simply "Nash"

  • Ysabeau clears her throat.
  • Alma looks to Ysabeau.

[Ysabeau] Theodis Maez also worked for the Hush.

[Alma] Yes, as did B-brother Phineas Strauch.

  • Alma catches herself stumbling over his title :|
  • Ysabeau nods.

[Seth] [q] We know, of course, that the Hush is divided factionally.

[Alma] Well, I do now.

[Alma] I only recently became aware of this ... whole disgrace.

[Seth] [q] If Strauch were killed by Olivier's faction, this would be unsurprising, but also a sign that things have escalated significantly.

  • Ysabeau raises an eloquently arched eyebrow.

[Alma] I would say that whether or not the strife is internecine is less important than the fact that one might have been responsible for freeing Kavreshar, if not intentionally.

[Seth] A potential complexity is that we do not know exactly when it became factionalized - indeed, I have suspected for some time that the matter of the wyrm is exactly the sort of thing that could lead to such factionalization.

  • Alma looks at Dominik briefly

[Dominik] A question I would like answered is which came first, the wyrm or the split.

[Ysabeau] Well, if I were on speaking terms with M. Olivier the elder I'd go ask him right away.

[Ysabeau] That is, If I thought I had any chance of getting a straight answer out of him.

[Alma] That is our plan, actually.

[Seth] Yes, although surely Nash knows more about that than she has told me, or anyone else.

[Seth] Oh? You intend to speak to Maze himself?

[Ysabeau] You know him?

[Alma] We danced at the Coronation, and he specifically asked me to look into the matter of whether Br. Phineas stole the necklace.

[Ysabeau] Sister, would it be possible for me to go with you? I should like to ask him about one Vescan Corriveau, if I had the opportunity.

[Alma] In a sense, I suppose I let him down, but as I said in my apology letter, I had nothing but his word, and I'm a priest, not a spy.

  • Alma looks to Dominik
  • Ysabeau wonders why Alma keeps looking at Dominik.
  • Ysabeau looks at Dominik.

[Dominik] Why is everyone looking at me?

[Alma] Well, you say that Vescan was in the Hush, Ysabeau?

[Alma] The issue may be related.

[Alma] Dessa's murder was certainly out of the ordinary.

  • Dominik nods

[Dominik] Didn't that already get tied back to the necklace

[Ysabeau] We don't know that for sure.

[Alma] Well, that does indicate it is related...

[Alma] But it was... who, a de Quercy who said it?

[Ysabeau] Ninon de Quercy.

[Alma] (Is she the one who sold the necklace?)

[Ysabeau] She had lost several members of her gang and thought those deaths, and Dessa's, might have been linked to the necklace.

[DiablotinNarrator] (yes)

[Alma] That still leaves the question of the portrait, and what was inside, but it does seem to connect things.

  • Sanadhil approaches the others with Ilphere and Guillame in tow

[Ysabeau] Vescan Corriveau claimed it contained a note and a lock of hair.

[Sanadhil] Good evening...

[Dominik] How's the food?

[Sanadhil] understandably sparse.

[Sanadhil] but of consistent quality.

  • Sanadhil smiles slightly, sipping his drink

[Dominik] I'm getting tired of everything tasting like salt.

[Sanadhil] indeed....

[Guillame] M. Rademacher... could I have a moment of your time at some point?

[Dominik] Sure

[Dominik] We can talk now if you want.

[Sanadhil] I actually had a question for the countess... Unles we are interrupting anything?

[Dominik] just discussing the ever mysterious necklace.

[Alma] No, we were just discussing the theft of Noira Langevin's necklace.

[Sanadhil] ahhh

[Sanadhil] any new information there?

[Ysabeau] Vescan also implied that the portrait was hiding its true identity... i guess the note might have been written by someone other than Martan Kizer.

[Guillame] Well, in a little while, maybe?

[Dominik] sure

[Ysabeau] I'm not sure why else he'd say it was pretending to be Leonien Kizer, when in fact it was an older scion of that house.

[Seth] Perhaps that was just what he was told.

  • Ysabeau shrugs, plainly frustrated by the whole thing.

[Alma] Odd, how would a painting pretend to be someone else?

[Ysabeau] That's just Vescan's way of talking.

[Alma] (We did DM it didn't we?)

[Ysabeau] He likes to think he's a poet.

[Sanadhil] it could have been magically altered

[Alma] As for new information: yes.

[Sanadhil] or forged in some more mundane method

[Alma] It appears that Brother Phineas Strauch was involved in the theft.

[Sanadhil] who?

  • Sanadhil idly wonders what it is about this place and mysterious magic necklaces
  • Guillame looks blank

[Alma] The late Brother Phineas was a priest at the Nine Elms in Rhenea. When I found him, I used whatever powers I could to determine what happened.

[Sanadhil] I see....

[Alma] It appears that under the initiative of the Hush, the necklace was stolen. He was then killed by the Hush in retaliation for his murder of a woman named Theodis Maez.

[Sanadhil] Hmm.

[Ysabeau] Who also worked for the Hush.

[Seth] Why did he kill Maez?

[Alma] He may, or may not, have been working for Cornelia Nash.

[Ysabeau] Which suggests Theodis Maez was working for Maze Olivier.

[Alma] Maez was in possession of a Ring of Wishes, at one point.

[Alma] AT least, that is my assumption based on the response to Speak with Dead.

[Seth] O_o

[Seth] Well, that *is* worth killing for. Where did the ring come from?

  • Sanadhil raises his eyebrows

[Alma] I'm not sure, the ritual is quite limited.

[Alma] It would require weeks of carefully crafted questions to determine more.

[Seth] Or I could go and speak to Nash.

[Alma] That might be ... unsafe.

[Sanadhil] would it be safe for you to reveal that you are in possession of this information?

  • Sanadhil nods to Alma

[Sanadhil] We know she is willing to kill over this, already.

[Seth] No, I don't think so. Nash values me for my powers. And she does not know what else I might know.

  • Dominik will take a subtle glance around for the ring's "owner"

[Seth] I am surprisingly difficult to imprison.

[Sanadhil] I don't think imprisonment would be the concern

[Alma] I would prefer we start somewhat less ambitiously, Mr. Argo.

[Seth] Ah, so we return to your plan to have me pilfer something belonging to the Warlord?

  • Alma frowns.

[Alma] Well I suppose as of today that implication would be accurate.

[Alma] But yes.

  • Ysabeau looks around to see how many people are listening in to our conversation.

[Alma] I'm not sure Nash values your powers to the extent that she would not hesitate to kill you if she knows you may suspect she is responsible for freeing Kavreshar, and maybe killing several other people.

  • Sanadhil wonders if there is anyone who might keep track of powerful magical trinkets passing around the city..... collectors, or what have you

[Sanadhil] precisely.

  • Sanadhil nods to Alma

[Seth] She is the Warlord. It's part of her job. It's not illegal for her to kill enemies of the state.

[Sanadhil] Though... do you suspected her of freeing kavreshar?

[Ysabeau] Is this public venue really the best place to be having this discussion?

[Ysabeau] Might I suggest we move to one of the study rooms.

[Seth] I do not suspect her of that.

  • Sanadhil nods to Ysabeau

[Ilphere] It would rather explain her unwillingness to even consider the ideas we presented to her...

[Sanadhil] at least, the spell propecy implied that it was not intentional...

[Sanadhil] hmm.

  • Sanadhil will start to head towards oen of the larger study rooms, and see if anyone else moves with
  • Alma will follow.
  • Dominik will nab some food on the way
  • Ysabeau will urge the others along as she follows Sanadhil.
  • Guillame will go with
  • Seth follows along also.
  • Ilphere goes along with San
  • Alma also privates it up

[Seth] Certainly I do not think that she is telling me everything that she knows. But I also do not think she is lying to me about what she has told me to date.

[Alma] Well, I don't know for certain, but Brother Phineas was an awful man.

  • Ysabeau takes a second look around to see if anyone might have overheard us, before pulling the door shut behind us.

[Alma] Now, perhaps Nash was unaware, or felt he had uses...

[Sanadhil] what are her motivations in telling you anything?

[Alma] But until we're certain, I don't think it's wise to assume she is simply fulfilling her role. We don't even know if she is human.

[Seth] I don't believe she is human, at least not an unaltered human.

[Seth] Then again, neither am I.

[Ysabeau] Ilphere, what does being plane-touched mean to you?

[Ilphere] (roll?)

  • Sanadhil suppresses the urge to roll his eyes

[DiablotinNarrator] (sure)

[Ilphere] (35)

[DiablotinNarrator] (someone who is descended from an outsider/extraplanar creature, or otherwise affected/influenced by the planes in some fashion)

[Ilphere] It's someone who is descended from an outsider/extraplanar creature, or otherwise affected/influenced by the planes in some fashion... it's a term with a fairly broad definition.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Fair enough.

[Alma] That is not something which True Seeing would necessarily pick up...

[Sanadhil] if she was chosen by the center as a guardian of the arch, that codl explain iut, then?

[Alma] Yes, it could.

[DiablotinNarrator] (planetouched people, unless they're hiding their appearance somehow, wouldn't look any different under True Seeing)

  • Alma thinks.

[Sanadhil] (K;Arcana to see how you could detect it?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (you can roll)

[Sanadhil] (22)

[Alma] (21)

[DiablotinNarrator] (you don't know)

[Sanadhil] hmmm.. I can't think of a way you could detct it...

  • Sanadhil looks to Ilphere
  • Sanadhil looks back to Ysabeau though

[Sanadhil] Why do you ask?

[Alma] There is likely some way to detect extraplanar influence, but I would have to look into the issue more.

[Seth] I'm not certain what the value of this is. We know that Nash has been touched by the Centre.

[Sanadhil] indeed...

[Alma] Yes, that is true.

  • Alma smiles :)

[Alma] Well, I admit I do not know the Warlord to any extent, and my main concern is her association with someone like Strauch.

  • Sanadhil waits to see if Ysabeau will answer?

[Ysabeau] I heard the term recently and was curious.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Alma] If you are confident that you would not be at risk...

[Seth] I am reasonably confident, yes.

[Alma] I would still feel far more comfortable if we had an indication of whether one side or another in this rift in the Hush was ... the right side...

[Ysabeau] How do we judge who is right and who is wrong?

[Alma] Well, if the freeing of Nash was intentional, it's fairly straightforward.

[Seth] I am not at all confident that we have any basis to make judgements.

[Sanadhil] ...of kavreshar?

[Alma] Not at the moment, no.

[Alma] That's precisely why I'd prefer to wait...

  • Sanadhil nods.

[Alma] .oO( Unfortunately it looks like both sides participate in brutal murder. )

[Ysabeau] Well.

[Ysabeau] Anything else?

[Sanadhil] Actually, yes.

[Sanadhil] It was a question about Kavreshar that brought me over here initially, Countess...

[Alma] Oh?

[Sanadhil] When we werespeaking the other day, you referred to him as a hell wyrm, or a hellfire wyrm.,...

[Sanadhil] i was wondering where you had heard that?

[Alma] Oh, it was from...

[Alma] Well if not you... Mr. Argo?

  • Alma looks.

[Sanadhil] Certainly not me...

[Dominik] what is a hellfire wyrm?

[Seth] I heard about it from Nash.

  • Sanadhil will give the basic info - feom hell, extra plana firey dragon, can look almost humanoid

[Sanadhil] (from)

[Seth] I told M. Rionet.

[Sanadhil] oh? hmm.

[Seth] And yes, I believe I also told you, Sister.

[Alma] Now that you mention it, it was confirmed by Reverend FAther Velten.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Well, it gives us somethign else to be on the look-out for.

[Sanadhil] I still wonder whether he might be stirring up chaos, like the recent riot, and the fire.

[Dominik] that would be difficult if he could be noticed... could magic hide the features you mentioned?

[Alma] Yes, though True Seeing WOULD reveal that.

[Alma] I would seriously consider giving up one of my arms for a Gem of True Seeing.

[Sanadhil] potentially?

  • Sanadhil considers

[Alma] True Seeing is quite difficult to account for.

[Alma] I'm not even sure how one would.

[Sanadhil] some sort of mundane sdisguise

[Sanadhil] or other cover story

[Ysabeau] Black eyes eventually fade to yellowish bruises.

[Sanadhil] pardon?

[Ysabeau] A cover story for the ointment required when one uses True Seeing.

[Alma] I did learn from that Matriarch's diaries that Nash had unusual eyes long before Nash.

[Alma] Ah, well, the ointment is not really that yellow...

[Seth] Long before ...?

[Alma] KAvreshar.

[Alma] Sorry.

[Seth] Ah yes, well, again, that accords with what she has told us previously.

[Alma] Yes, there was no real implication in that... I suppose the context suggested it... it was the eyes that reminded me.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Alma] An additional aside is that I determined that she likely dreamt in this world of her sacrifice to the Arch in the other.

[Alma] Sorry, the Matriarch.

[Alma] Not Nash.

  • Alma looks embarassed.

[Alma] You'd think wearing this choker would put an end to that sort of thing.

  • Alma is a bit flushed.
  • Sanadhil smiles

[Guillame] [w to Ilphere] Wait... did you say.. an odour? If a hellfire wyrm was disguised?

[Ilphere] Hm?

[Ilphere] Oh, yes, they might have a strange smell.

[Guillame] [w] There *is* somebody who I think might have been causing trouble for the levellers, and he smelled like burning last time I was close to him... but he had been in a fire recently...

[Ilphere] Hm...

[Ilphere] [q] Perhaps you could try to talk to him now and try to... ah, smell him..?

  • Alma looks at the two whispering o_o

[Guillame] I could certainly try...

  • Ysabeau does as well, since no one else is talking at the moment.

[Sanadhil] hmm?

[Ilphere] [q] Who was it...?

[Ilphere] (oh just PL me San ;)

  • Ysabeau raises an eyebrow; even she knows it's rude to whisper in company.

[Guillame] Sorry...

[Alma] Well, anyhow...

[Guillame] There's somebody at the leveller meetings who I don't trust - I was going to see if I could find out if he had anything to do with the riot, but I just remembered that last time I was close to him he smelled a little like a fire.

[Ysabeau] Oh... interesting. :)

[Guillame] He had been in a fire recently though, so I can't say for sure... but I can probably find out if he usually smells like that.

[Alma] Oh?

[Ysabeau] Do keep us posted!

[Alma] Well... should I prepare the ointment for True Seeing then?

[Ilphere] Who was it...?

  • Ilphere asks again
  • Ysabeau smiles warmly at Guillame.

[Alma] .oO( I'm going to need a half dozen batches... what is the world coming to? )

[Guillame] I don't know much about him - he's one of the levellers.

[Alma] Was he present at the riot?

[Guillame] I didn't see him there... he wasn't at the meeting beforehand

[Seth] Hellfire wyrms are known for that sort of activity, apparently.

[Sanadhil] yes, precisely

[Alma] Well, if you wish for me to meet somewhere in order to observe him while under the effect of True Seeing, simply let me know.

[Alma] I will prepare... several batches of the ointment.

[Sanadhil] perhaps you coudl attend a meeting.... or have they been banned?

[Guillame] We've been told to desist for now... we weren't banned, exactly.

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Sanadhil thinks

[Guillame] But I'll talk to some people first... see if they noticed the smell too.

[Sanadhil] somethig could certainly be contrived

[Alma] Well, as long as you think that's safe. If the wyrm can ... read minds or even faces...

[Alma] The ointment may be expensive but it's hardly worth putting yourself in danger :)

[Sanadhil] indeed...

  • Sanadhil looks to the others to see if there is more to discuss

[Guillame] Well... it just seems safer to speak to others than to confront it directly.

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Alma nods.

[Sanadhil] of course

[Sanadhil] If I can thinkin of any assistance I might be able to offer in the matter, I'll let yo know

[Alma] I am pursuing some leads from the Matriarch's diaries, and will follow up with you all if they lead anywhere advantageous.

[Sanadhil] excellent

  • Alma looks to the others and prepares for the group's dissolution
  • Sanadhil nods good evening to the assembled, then, and will head back out to the main room if there is nothing else to say :o


Sanadhil and Nycaise

[DiablotinNarrator] Sanadhil, Nycaise approaches you when you are free.

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] Good evening, Mlle L'Averti.

[Nycaise] Good evening. Could I have a word?

[Sanadhil] Of course.

  • Nycaise will take you aside to speak privately, then.

[Nycaise] I believe - at last - the arrangements are in place for you to speak with my... contact. It remains but to set the date.

[Sanadhil] Oh, excellent!

[Sanadhil] I will have to consult with some of the others, but should be able to get back to you quite quickly.

  • Nycaise nods.

[Nycaise] Who will be accompanying us?

[Sanadhil] Initially i was planning to bring her Highness and M. Argo.

[Sanadhil] If they both retain interest, then I would continue with that plan. Otherwise, I will have to consider my options.

  • Nycaise nods.

[Nycaise] Well, that would be fine. If you wanted to bring others, it would also be possible, though I would want to inform them first so that there are no surprises.

[Sanadhil] of course...

[Sanadhil] Inform them of what, in particular?

[Nycaise] Just of numbers - if I had told them to expect four of us, and suddenly seven appear, it might be alarming.

[Sanadhil] oh, yes

[Sanadhil] of course

[Sanadhil] I don't think there woudl be a large change in that regard

[Nycaise] Very well.

[Sanadhil] A smaller group is likely to be more efficient

  • Nycaise nods.

[Nycaise] Have you considered going back to the Spire? To go into the dream-world again?

[Sanadhil] is there anything in particular we shoudl know about your contact?

[Sanadhil] I....have considered it

[Nycaise] I confess I would be most interested to participate this time, if you were to make such a trip.

[Sanadhil] that would certainly require her Highness's assistance, of course.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Nycaise] Of course.

[Sanadhil] At least, if things went the same way as last time, we may be better prepared...

  • Nycaise nods.

[Sanadhil] but it would be more *useful* if we managed to keep ourselves separate.

[Sanadhil] I can speak to her - I believe she is developing more expertise with the spell involed, as well

[Nycaise] Very well - please, do keep me informed on that front.

[Nycaise] As for my contact...

[Nycaise] His name is Rhyl ussQu'rret. He's a scholar of the planes.

[Nycaise] ...also, my grandfather.

  • Sanadhil looks surprised a little

[Sanadhil] Fascinating!

  • Sanadhil smiles
  • Nycaise gives a slight smile back.

[Nycaise] I dye my hair, and fortunately my skin is human enough.

[Sanadhil] that does explain your connection, then - i had been curious.

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Sanadhil tried to remember if she has anyfamily that he is aware of

[Nycaise] His clan name, ussQu'rret, is similar to noQu'rret - I don't know if there's any connection between them, my knowledge of their genealogy is not extensive.

[Sanadhil] (what is noQu'rret from? o_O)

[Nycaise] (Imraen?)

[Sanadhil] (oh right :D)

  • Sanadhil tries to think if the different prefixes have any linguistic relevance?
  • Sanadhil nods

[Nycaise] (you would translate them as noQu'rret = sacred to the Void; ussQu'rret = heirs to the Void)

[Sanadhil] t would make sense - perhaps a descendant or cousing lineage?

[Nycaise] It could well be. I suppose it's something to ask him about.

[Sanadhil] but that *is* fascinating. i will speak to her highness and let you know.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Nycaise] Very well. Until we meet again...

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Good evening.

[Nycaise] And good evening to you.


Ysabeau and Terral

[DiablotinNarrator] Ysabeau, Terral is present at the meeting, and gives you a nice smile when you look his way.

  • Ysabeau is happy to see him, as well.
  • Ysabeau will move towards him to exchange pleasantries.

[Terral] Good evening, Mlle. Chanuier.

[Ysabeau] Good evening, M. Eichorn. I trust that M. Walther was able to round out any lingering questions you may have had about our expedition.

[Ysabeau] :)

[Terral] Yes, quite fascinating!

[Terral] Your encounter with the frost salamander was of great interest to me.

[Ysabeau] How have you been?

[Terral] Busy, but well. And yourself?

[Ysabeau] Well enough, thank you.

  • Terral smiles.

[Ysabeau] I'm looking forward to the end of this winter, and hopeful that the growing season will be good.

[Terral] Indeed...

[Ysabeau] I can't imagine what will happen to our poor Empire if we suffer more drought.

[Ysabeau] Well, perhaps I can, but I'd rather not.

  • Ysabeau smiles a little anxiously.

[Terral] Surely our prayers will be answered.

[Ysabeau] I certainly hope so. My knees are nearly worn to the bone.

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Terral] Are you busy after the meeting, or would you perhaps care to join me for dinner?

[Ysabeau] Oh, M. Eichorn... that sounds lovely. However, I'm afraid I must decline. M. Rademacher and I have been experiencing... troubles, of late. However, we have had a few conversations and are trying to mend things...

  • Ysabeau says apologetically and perhaps also somewhat regretfully.

[Terral] Oh, of course. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

  • Terral says sympathetically.
  • Ysabeau smiles warmly.

[Ysabeau] Thank you for your kindness and understanding, M. Eichorn.

[Ysabeau] I do appreciate it, truly.

  • Terral smiles.
  • Terral has a dimple when he smiles. *sigh*

[Terral] Well, I have no wish to bother you if you have other plans.

[Ysabeau] It isn't a bother, at all. I do enjoy your company.

[Terral] I'm glad to hear that.

[Ysabeau] Perhaps we can get a group together for a drink after the meeting?

  • Ysabeau suggests, as that ought to be socially acceptable.

[Terral] Certainly, if you like.

[Ysabeau] I would.

[Ysabeau] Meanwhile, since we are scholars at a scholarly gathering, I would ask for your expertise about glabrezus.

[Terral] About... uh, glabrezus?

  • Terral seems puzzled by the sudden change of subject.

[Ysabeau] If you are so inclined, I should like to know about them. It gives us a legitimate reason to continue conversing.

  • Terral smiles at that.

[Terral] It's not a subject I am expert in, but I can tell you what I do know.

[Ysabeau] Please.

  • Ysabeau smiles again.

[Terral] They are huge, perhaps twice the height of a man or more. They have black skin and violet eyes.

[Terral] They have four arms, with pincers.

  • Ysabeau shudders, imagining such a hideous creature.
  • Terral makes a sort of 'clampy clampy' motion with his hands.
  • Ysabeau laughs.

[Terral] Unlike many demons, they have no innate ability to change their appearance, so they're rarely seen.

[Ysabeau] Is that so?

  • Ysabeau looks puzzled.

[Terral] I believe so - I can double-check, but that's my recollection.

[Ysabeau] I was under the impression that they could change, but their eyes remain violet in whatever form they take.

[Terral] Perhaps I'm misremembering, then.

[Terral] They can grant wishes, I do recall that for certain.

[Ysabeau] Hmmm.

[Terral] Why do you ask? :)

[Ysabeau] You may not be mistaken; I assume it's possible for their appearance to be changed by external means?

[Terral] Yes, I suppose it could be - by a magic item or something of that sort.

[Ysabeau] A Polymorph Other spell, and Permanence, perhaps.

[Ysabeau] Something like that.

  • Ysabeau sighs.
  • Ysabeau looks at Terral.

[Ysabeau] Well... you *are* with the guards...

[Terral] I am, it's true.

[Ysabeau] I've come across some intelligence that there may be one in disguise in the city.

[Terral] Oh?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Terral] Do you know who?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] If my source is not wrong.

[Ysabeau] Along with at least two succubi other than Earric Boyne, and one other of unknown race. If race is the correct term.

[Terral] It's as good as any.

  • Ysabeau will lead him into the library if it's mostly empty, or a study room if that's better, and pass along the information she has.
  • Terral looks shocked.

[Ysabeau] I know.

[Ysabeau] I wish I had True Seeing and could confirm it.

[Ysabeau] I have asked a priest to look into it on my behalf.

[Terral] I don't know how he could be... I mean, don't they use the Disenchanter's Stone at their council meetings?

[Terral] But... well. I can look into it as well, if you'd like.

[Terral] Not with True Seeing, alas.

[Terral] But I do have other resources at my disposal.

[Ysabeau] If you have ways of looking into it, please do. Only *please* be careful.

[Terral] Of course.

[Ysabeau] I doubt they'd hesitate to kill anyone inconvenient, and that would make me sad.

[Terral] Thank you for telling me this, Mlle. Chanuier.

[Ysabeau] You're welcome, M. Eichorn.

  • Terral takes his leave of you, then.
  • Ysabeau returns to the main room not long after Terral leaves.


Guillame and Dominik

  • Guillame catches up with Dom
  • Dominik went back to fetch something to drink
  • Alma puts off her talk with Dominik for now ^_^

[Dominik] So whats on your mind Guillame?

[Guillame] I wanted to ask if you knew Zivia Rademacher?

  • Dominik laughs

[Dominik] What do you want to know about my sister?

[Guillame] Oh, your sister?

[Guillame] A friend of mine has apparently become very close with her, and was considering pursuing a proposal... I just thought I'd ask what you thought of it?

[Dominik] Who wants to marry Zivia?

[Guillame] Well, I'm not sure that he's certain yet, but Aden Olivier tells me that he's become quite taken with her...

[Dominik] she does have quite a way with the men... sometimes not the men she really wants.

[Guillame] What do you mean?

[Dominik] She was chasing after Marl after his rise, but that didn't work out. I supose Aden is influential enough for her.

[Guillame] Hm... you make her sound... insincere?

[Dominik] Insincere? Scheming is more like it.

[Guillame] Oh...

[Dominik] You want me to talk to her? Find out what she's planing

[Guillame] Um... I didn't really want to meddle, to be honest. But now... I suppose that would be prudent.

  • Guillame seems disappointed

[Dominik] Hey my pleasure. Its fun to ruffle her feathers a bit.

  • Dominik slaps him on the back

[Guillame] Th... thanks.

[Dominik] Relax... it's not like she's been very successful with her schemes lately.

[Dominik] At least Aden is probably getting a good time out of it.

[Guillame] Hah... well, maybe if she's been so unsuccessful, she's given up scheming?

  • Guillame jokes
  • Dominik laughs

[Dominik] He can hope


Alma and Dominik

  • Alma will find you while she sees Ysabeau is engaged with Terral.

[Alma] Mr. Rademacher...

[Alma] Do you have a moment?

[Dominik] Sure Sister

  • Alma leads you aside somewhere less public

[Alma] I was planning to talk to you about whether we should let Ysabeau know about the situation with Martan Olivier, but now it seems like the question is answered, if she will be coming with us.

[Dominik] I hadn't intended to bring her along.

[Alma] No, but she does have a good point, that Dessa's murder may be related.

  • Dominik nods

[Alma] Do you think that it would be a problem?

[Dominik] And she does have her ways of convincing people to talk.

[Alma] I wasn't sure if your... activities were known to her...

[Dominik] I really didn't want these people to have any more leaverage or targets than necessary.

[Alma] Yes, I can understand that completely...

[Dominik] So I've been keeping most of my activities a secret from her.

[Alma] So we have a dilemma...

[Dominik] Not really... just have to change strategy.

[Alma] Ah, so you aren't going to try to keep her from coming.

[Dominik] We're probably strong enough, the three of us, to handle anything that can be thrown at us if things turn bad at the meeting.

[Dominik] I'll just have to fully disclose to her. I hope she understands why I've kept things from her.

  • Dominik ponders

[Alma] I think that she'll understand.

[Alma] And it's clear that for the right reasons, she is willing to face danger...

[Alma] She did manage to find out about possible outsiders in the city.

[Alma] If anything does happen at the meeting, withdraw beside me. I can teleport us away.

[Dominik] Everything has a price Sister. Sometimes the price can be quite steep.

[Dominik] I'll talk to Ysabeau

  • Dominik heads off to track down Ysabeau


Dominik and Ysabeau

  • Dominik spots her leaving Terral

[Dominik] Ysa, we need to talk...

[Ysabeau] Certainly, Dominik.

  • Ysabeau smiles, perhaps a bit concerned by your pressing need to talk.

[Ysabeau] Here, or in private?

[Dominik] Private

[Ysabeau] Alright.

  • Ysabeau leads you right back to the room she just vacated.

[Dominik] Do you still want to meet Maze Olivier?

[Ysabeau] I'm not certain that 'meet' is the correct word for it. 'Question' might be more appropriate.

[Ysabeau] But yes. I haven't given up on learning why Dessa died, though I haven't been able to concentrate on it much in recent months.

[Dominik] Then you should come with myself and Sister Alma when we go talk to him.

[Ysabeau] Oh, you're going, too?

  • Dominik nods

[Ysabeau] Is that why she kept looking at you during our earlier conversation with M. Argo?

[Ysabeau] I was wondering what that was about.

[Dominik] For a few reasons. I had a long talk with her a few days ago about several things that I had asked her to keep in confidence.

[Ysabeau] Ah. There's a lot of that going around, it seems.

  • Dominik nods

[Dominik] There are some things you should know. I've been keeping some of the things I've been up to secret from you.

[Ysabeau] Oh.

[Dominik] My reasons were to avoid any risk on anyone else.

[Ysabeau] Very noble reasons, I'm sure.

[Dominik] I was approached shortly after the corination and asked to do some tasks for the Hush.

[Ysabeau] Oh...

  • Ysabeau looks away briefly.

[Ysabeau] So... so, you work for them?

[Dominik] I knew about your investigations into Dessa... and everything else going on and figured this was a way to try and learn what is going on.

[Ysabeau] So... Fredericia?

[Ysabeau] Is that why you were deflecting my questions about her, about your friends?

[Dominik] Yes... I wasn't ready to get you involved. I wanted you to be away from it so if anything went badly you wouldn't have been a part of it.

[Ysabeau] Dominik...

[Ysabeau] We've been seen in public a multitude of times, obviously a pair.

[Ysabeau] If the Hush wanted to use me against you somehow, they could do so easily.

[Ysabeau] I don't understand why my not knowing about your involvement makes it less dangerous for me.

[Dominik] You're probably right... I just felt if I kept it away from you it wouldn't affect you.

[Ysabeau] I'm... I'm really feeling quite hurt right now that you didn't trust me.

[Ysabeau] But give me a few days and I'll probably be able to rationalize it to myself.

[Ysabeau] I am glad you have seen fit to tell me now, but I wish it hadn't been because it is now strategic to do so.

  • Ysabeau stands up.

[Ysabeau] Is that everything?

[Dominik] For now... after we meet Maze I'll tell you everything that I've been up to.

[Dominik] I promise

  • Ysabeau looks at you sadly.

[Ysabeau] I've told Sister Alma and M. Eichorn about the demons.

[Ysabeau] Sister so she could confirm the intelligence with True Sight.

[Ysabeau] M. Eichorn because he works for the guard and I am inclined to trust him.

[Dominik] She's impressed with the information but unaware what it took to get it.

[Ysabeau] I am thinking of mentioning it to M.Argo, as well. His newfound talents could be useful in spying on them, if he's so inclined.

[Ysabeau] But M. Orecalo, and also Ilphere... I am wary of telling.

[Ysabeau] I don't know about M. Rionet.

[Ysabeau] I hardly know him.

[Dominik] I'd wait until after we talk to Maze to inform Seth.

[Ysabeau] Why is that?

[Dominik] So we have a better understanding of how things are playing out with the Hush and with Nash.

[Ysabeau] Right.

[Ysabeau] A lapse on my part.

[Ysabeau] He is in contact with Nash, isn't he.

  • Ysabeau sighs.
  • Dominik nods

[Ysabeau] Very well. i shall wait to mention it to him.

[Ysabeau] I was hoping to get a little group together to go for a drink after the meeting.

[Ysabeau] Would you like to come?

[Ysabeau] Invite anyone you'd like.

[Dominik] One more thing, and this is important... Alma and I have found out who we think the Cult is looking for.

[Ysabeau] Oh?

  • Ysabeau turns back towards you.

[Dominik] This must be kept in total confidence...

[Ysabeau] Yes, Dominik.

[Ysabeau] I promise.

[Dominik] Theonee had a daughter. The child was hidden by magically changing the sex of the child.

[Ysabeau] So she's a boy, now?

  • Ysabeau raises an eyebrow.

[Dominik] They now go by the name of Martan Olivier. THey are one of the subjects that the SIster and I are going to talk to Maze about.

[Ysabeau] Oh...

[Ysabeau] I sent him a note, recently. I wanted to talk about Greywatch with him.

[Ysabeau] I was going to try to get something of his for Sister Alma to do her thing with.

[Dominik] You may get your chance.

[Dominik] to talk to him at least

[Ysabeau] We danced at the wedding, when you wouldn't.

[Ysabeau] He seemed like a very nice young man, though perhaps a little sad and lonely.

[Dominik] I can't fault him for wanting to dance with you.

  • Ysabeau half-smiles.

[Ysabeau] Flatterer.

[Dominik] No flattery... just the truth.

  • Ysabeau smiles again, a little sad and weary looking smile.

[Ysabeau] I need a drink.

  • Ysabeau moves towards the door.
  • Dominik follows


Seth and Aldrian

[DiablotinNarrator] Seth, in order to talk to Aldrian, it seems the least obtrusive way would be to pay another visit to Squire's. Strictly for the purposes of research, of course...

[Seth] (of course!)

  • Seth will have cleaned himself up nicely for this visit.

[DiablotinNarrator] (anything you're doing before you go that I need to know about?)

[Seth] (no, I don't think so - trying to go in pretty unobtrusively of course)

[DiablotinNarrator] (ok)

[DiablotinNarrator] The place is quieter than the last time you visited.

  • Aldrian is having a drink at one of the tables, with a middle-aged gentleman with a moustache.
  • Seth will catch Aldrian's eye and then similarly sit down for a drink, at another table.
  • Aldrian notices you, and excuses himself from his guest for a moment to come over and speak with you.

[Aldrian] Hey.

[Seth] Hi. How are you?

[Aldrian] All right, how about you?

[Seth] Well enough. I was hoping you were free for a while.

[Aldrian] Well. I will be in about... twenty minutes ;)

[Aldrian] If you don't mind waiting?

[Seth] No, I'm happy to wait here.

[Aldrian] Great. I'll be quick, then.

  • Aldrian lets his hand rest on your back for a moment before going back to his punter.
  • Aldrian 's estimate was quite accurate. You have time for a drink or two before he returns.
  • Aldrian joins you at your table when he gets back.

[Seth] Hmm, very prompt.

[Aldrian] I try.

[Aldrian] I wondered if I'd see you here again.

[Aldrian] Worried you might have been scared off ;)

[Seth] Well ... my life is very different now than last time.

[Seth] I no longer live at the palace.

[Aldrian] What happened? You and ...uh, your friend have a fight?

  • Aldrian quite obviously cuts off before saying 'Menard'.

[Seth] Sort of. It's complicated.

[Seth] Can we go somewhere more private?

  • Aldrian nods

[Aldrian] Sure, of course.

  • Aldrian will take you up to his room.
  • Aldrian wraps his arms around you once the door's shut.

[Seth] Ahhh ... before ... I need to speak to you. Before.

[Aldrian] Oh, okay.

  • Aldrian unwraps.

[Seth] Tell me, Aldrian ... why do you work here?

[Aldrian] Well... you get a good calibre of customer, it's clean, it's safe...

[Seth] Not *quite* what I meant. Why do you do this kind of work at all? You're a nobleman from a good family, and you are a priest as well.

[Aldrian] Oh.

[Aldrian] Well, for the money. My family might be good, but they're not rich, and I'm *certainly* not rich.

[Seth] I see. And you enjoy it?

[Aldrian] It's easier than a real job.

[Aldrian] Less embarrassing, too.

[Aldrian] I don't think I want to do it for years and years, but it's all right for now.

[Seth] Does anyone in your family know what you do?

[Aldrian] ...My sister does. I haven't told anyone else.

[Aldrian] Why?

[Seth] ... so what do you suppose I do?

[Aldrian] .. for a living?

[Aldrian] Or in your spare time.

[Seth] Either, I suppose. But I meant the former.

[Aldrian] Well, you're an Argo. So you work for the Kizers. I know you're friends with Menard...

[Seth] All true.

[Seth] Menard's grandfather asked me about you the other day.

[Aldrian] Oh, shit.

  • Aldrian sits down on the bed.

[Seth] He said something about some gambling debts?

[Aldrian] Yeah...

[Aldrian] Stupid of me, I know.

[Seth] Well, yes.

[Seth] So I've come to inquire whether I should tell him that you work here. Because he has the idea that you are working for your Sister and the Hush.

  • Aldrian looks startled at that.

[Seth] (sm?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (roll away)

[Seth] (only 21)

[DiablotinNarrator] (seems genuinely surprised that anyone could think that)\

[Aldrian] I'd be a pretty awful spy, I think.

[Seth] Perhaps so. He doesn't know you work here, so you've managed to keep that from him.

  • Aldrian sighs.

[Aldrian] It's not the sort of place he keeps an eye on. Well, unless he's doing it through you.

[Seth] Not yet he's not.

[Seth] I obviously have to tell him something.

[Aldrian] Well.. it's better you tell him about this than that he thinks I'm a spy, I guess :o

[Aldrian] Although spys are kind of sexy.

[Seth] So you don't talk to your sister about her work?

[Aldrian] Mostly she doesn't want to talk about it, and I don't want to hear about it.

[Seth] And she hasn't asked anything of you? To hold something for her, or to keep an eye on anyone?

[Aldrian] No...

[Aldrian] I think she has underlings to do that sort of thing for her.

[Aldrian] Actual competent ones.

[Seth] All right. I believe you.

  • Aldrian looks relieved.

[Seth] Once your debts are repaid ... are you going to stop working?

[Aldrian] ...Would you like that?

[Aldrian] Or would you be a little disappointed? ;)

[Seth] Ahhh ... well, I'm not sure. Both ... I suppose.

  • Aldrian smiles.

[Aldrian] So, now that you've finished your job, are you going to let me do mine?

[Seth] To be honest, I was half convinced, when Leonien asked me, that he knew that ... I'd been here before. But that's not plausible.

  • Aldrian nods.

[Seth] I ... yes, I suppose now that I've come this far, I could ... come a little more.

  • Aldrian laughs.

[Aldrian] How anyone can say you don't have a sense of humour is beyond me.

  • Seth laughs.

[Seth] It's a little dry, I suppose, for most tastes.

[Aldrian] I have lotions that can help with that :p

  • Aldrian will take very good care of you, then.


Ilphere and Cordovera

[DiablotinNarrator] Ilphere, you are in one of the palace's many drawing rooms, reading a simply *fascinating* book about Emperor Ruchard's short reign, when a maid approaches you hesitantly.

[Maid] Your highness, the Countess of Alarche is not well. She... um, your noble father believes she is dying.

[Ilphere] Oh no...!

[Ilphere] Oh no, oh no...!

[Ilphere] I must go to her right away...!

  • Maid will escort you there straight away.

[Maid] She will have no priests try and heal her, she refuses them, but she is fading in and out of consciousness...

[Maid] I heard that she got up in the night and fell.

  • Ilphere rushes to her family's rooms.
  • Lystain is seated at his grandmother's bedside when you arrive, and your mother stands at the other side of the room.

[Ilphere] ...Please tell Prince Menard what has happened.

  • Ilphere instructs the maid.

[DiablotinNarrator] The maid will do so, and departs quickly.

[Lystain] Ilphere, thank goodness. She was asking where you were a few moments ago. She's quiet for now, but I don't think there is much time remaining.

  • Cordovera looks very small, smaller than usual, lying in the large bed. Her thin white hair has been braided as neatly as possible under the circumstances, but many wisps frame her sunken face.

[Ilphere] Oh, oh...

  • Cordovera 's eyes are closed, her breath shallow.
  • Ilphere 's eyes well up.

[Ilphere] What happened... I heard thata she fell...?

  • Lystain nods.
  • Ilphere approaches the bed.
  • Cordovera whispers something that could be your name.

[Lystain] She's here, Mémère.

[Ilphere] I'm here, grand-Mère...

  • Cordovera opens her eyes ever so slightly.

[Cordovera] [w] No, it's not her.

[Cordovera] Elfea, I said. Not Ilphere. Don't you listen?

  • Cordovera says, her voice growing stronger.

[Ilphere] (who's Elfea again?)

[Cordovera] [w] I wanted to tell her I was sorry.

[Ilphere] (or should I roll K:N)

[Cordovera] (you can have a k:n roll - it's no one in your family that you're aware of)

[Ilphere] (32)

[Cordovera] (There was an Elfea Rademacher, later Elfea Casavant, but she's been dead for quite some time. She's be of a comparable age to Cordovera, so perhaps they were friends?)

[Cordovera] [w] No matter now.

[Cordovera] [w] It's cold in here.

  • Cordovera is shivering, though there's a good fire burning in the chamber and she has several blankets.

[Ilphere] We'll tell her, Grand-Mère... :(

[Cordovera] This isn't my room. Take me back to my room!

[Lystain] [q] She must have gotten disoriented when she got out of bed. The move was hard on her...

  • Ilphere blinks the tears out of her eyes, nodding.
  • Cordovera falls back into a restless silence, occasionally sighing or moaning to herself.

[Cordovera] [w] Is the baby healthy, Leon?

[Ilphere] [q] She won't accept any healing...?

  • Lystain shakes his head.
  • Lystain glances back to his grandmother, looking slightly puzzled.

[Lystain] [q] I don't know if it would do any good at this point anyway...

[Ilphere] [q] Do you know who these people are, the ones she's been talking about...?

[Lystain] [q] Some...friends and family who've been dead for years, mostly. Leon, that's not one I've heard before, though.

[Lystain] [q] After my father was born, I know she had some babies that died. Maybe she's thinking about them... :/

  • Ilphere nods sadly.

[Lystain] [q] Maybe one was named Leon, I don't know.

[Cordovera] Ben, please, don't send him away, oh please, I love him...!

  • Cordovera is weeping, tears running down her wrinkled, hollow cheeks.

[DiablotinNarrator] Benedict was your great-grandfather, that name at least you recognize.

[Lystain] Hush, my dear, of course we won't send him away.

  • Lystain says, trying to calm her down.
  • Ilphere will take her hand if she will allow it...
  • Cordovera opens her watery eyes when you take her hand, and seems to see you for the first time.

[Cordovera] Ilphère...!

[Ilphere] (I'm gonna roll K:N on possible Leons fwiw)

[DiablotinNarrator] (sure)

[Ilphere] (27)

[Ilphere] Hello Grand-Mère...

  • Ilphere musters up a smile. :)

[DiablotinNarrator] (There's... Leonien Kizer? You can't think of anyone else who might be/have been close to her, but you're not sure if he makes sense anyway, or whether anyone calls him Leon.)

[Cordovera] Are you happy in the palace? Your prince makes you happy?

[Ilphere] Yes... he makes me very happy...! :)

[Cordovera] Good... that's good. I always wanted you to be happy, my darling.

  • Cordovera pats your hand weakly.

[Ilphere] I know, Grand-Mère...

[Cordovera] Come closer, let me whisper to you...

  • Ilphere leans in...

[Ilphere] What is it...?

[Cordovera] [w] Look in the bottom of my wardrobe, I hid something just for you there.

  • Ilphere nods...
  • Cordovera slumps back onto her pillows, closing her eyes once more.

[Lystain] What did she say?

[Ilphere] [q] Thank you...

[Ilphere] (is she dead?)

  • Cordovera is still alive, for now.

[Ilphere] I- I'm not really sure...

  • Ilphere isn't certain if she was supposed to keep it a secret...!

[Lystain] :/

[DiablotinNarrator] Menard comes to sit with you during your vigil. Your great-grandmother hangs on about another hour, but doesn't speak again before she dies.

  • Ilphere makes sure to tell her that she loves her before she goes... :(


Guillame and Portia

[DiablotinNarrator] Guillame, your fiancée is joining your family for dinner this evening, which rather obliges you to be there too!

[DiablotinNarrator] Your mother continues to be overjoyed about your engagement to Portia, almost to the point where you think she might have put all that business about you liking boys out of her mind...

  • Guillame is happy to have dinner, but a bit distracted

[Janelle] Can I offer you a little digestif after dinner, Portia dear?

  • Guillame also will let his mother have her fantasies, if she wants.

[Janelle] Can I offer you a little digestif after dinner, Portia dear?

  • Janelle says once the youngsters are packed off.

[Portia_] Thank you, I wouldn't say no to a glass of sherry.

  • Janelle pours some of the best sherry for each of you.

[Janelle] So, only two more months until your wedding!

  • Janelle says cheerfully, and sips her drink.

[Guillame] Yes... it's really creeping up!

  • Portia nods.

[Janelle] Can I ask you a question? You can tell me if I ought to mind my own business, but...

[Portia] ...all right?

  • Guillame listens, interested
  • Portia says, with a glance at you.

[Janelle] Do you think you'll have children... soon, or... ?

  • Janelle sounds hopeful.
  • Guillame looks at Portia
  • Portia looks back at you.

[Portia] We... haven't really decided yet.

[Janelle] Well, plenty of time, I suppose! It's bound to happen sooner or later...

[Guillame] Yes... we hadn't discussed a timescale... to be honest, I'd not expect it right away

[Guillame] But who knows?

[Janelle] Well quite :)

[Portia] No doubt.

  • Portia says lightly.
  • Janelle chats about wedding plans (mostly with Portia) for a while longer.

[Janelle] Goodness, is that the time? No wonder I'm yawning.

  • Portia stands when your mother stands.
  • Guillame tries to be involved in the wedding plans, even if Mother is bypassing him
  • Guillame stands also

[Janelle] Oh, don't feel as though you must go, my dear. You young folks can stay up as long as you like. Make yourself *quite* at home.

  • Janelle smiles encouragingly.
  • Janelle departs.

[Portia] Is your mother trying to get us to sleep together?

  • Portia asks once she's safely upstairs and (presumably) out of earshot.

[Portia] Is that what "quite at home" and "stay up as long as you like" means?

[Guillame] Oh, probably.

  • Portia nods.
  • Portia sits back down.

[Portia] We probably ought to discuss that, in any case.

[Guillame] I think she's just embracing the fantasy - I don't mind if she wants to live the facade.

[Portia] Oh, nor do I.

[Portia] I was wondering - are you expecting me to stop working after we're married?

[Portia] If you feel strongly about it, I will, but I would prefer to continue, since it may be rather challenging to find another suitable outlet for my... energies.

[Guillame] Sorry, remind me... what's your work?

[Portia] Oh, of course. I work at the Jewel Box. You've probably heard of it?

[Guillame] I have, but from teenaged friends when I was younger, so we should probably assume what I know is inaccurate.

  • Portia chuckles at that.

[Portia] Well, it's a very exclusive establishment.

  • Guillame nods

[Portia] I work there, normally four nights a week.

[Guillame] If my friends were right, it's some sort of brothel, only not?

[Portia] Oh, it's a brothel.

  • Portia agrees.

[Portia] Just a very expensive one.

[Portia] The owner sets appointments for us, she's very careful to screen people before they are admitted.

[Guillame] I don't really have anything against it in principal... I mean, I assume that there must be clients that already know you work there?

[Portia] Well, they don't know our real names. But it's quite possible that one or another has recognized me, I suppose.

[Portia] If they revealed it, they certainly wouldn't be permitted back.

[Guillame] Well, by then, any damage would be done I suppose. However:

[Portia] Yes?

[Guillame] The way I see it is this; I don't recall having heard any scandals about anybody being 'revealed' to work there, I'm sure it's very important to them to protect you, and it's important to you to have your outlet - after all, that's why you're marrying me.

  • Portia nods, listening.

[Guillame] So it'd hardly be reasonable for me to ask you to stop.

[Portia] I'm glad to hear that.

[Portia] It's not something I'll be doing forever, of course. My age, if nothing else, will probably put a stop to it.

[Guillame] And if any scandal does come of it, I'm sure we can help each other to deal with it.

  • Portia smiles.

[Portia] Good.

[Portia] On the question of children, do you think it might be best to have one quickly, to allay any worries? Or do you prefer to wait?

[Guillame] I suppose it's only fair that I ask you whether you approve of my work?

  • Guillame asks, semi-teasing

[Portia] Oh, I think your work is splendid :)

[Guillame] I'll have to show it to you some time! It'll be... very boring, I'm sure.

  • Portia smiles at that.

[Portia] I don't think of it as a job, really - more of a hobby. I donate the money to charity.

[Guillame] Well, I'm not averse to starting a family, but... I think it's probably reasonable that we wait a little while. Make sure that we work well together, at least, and give ourselves a chance to get ready for it.

  • Portia nods.

[Portia] I've considered the various options as far as conceiving a child with you, and I have a thought, if you're also agreeable to it.

[Guillame] I'd love to hear it?

[Portia] Well... First, I suppose it depends if you think you can have sex with a woman. Have you?

[Guillame] I have... it didn't go especially well, although nothing was wrong... mechanically.

[Portia] Hm. Was it that it just felt uncomfortable, or was the situation not conducive...? Did you start off all right and then things went wrong in the middle?

  • Portia sounds quite clinical.

[Guillame] Well...

[Guillame] I think I was ok going along with it, because I thought it was what I was supposed to do.

  • Portia nods.

[Guillame] But I felt very uncomfortable about it... not physically, it just seemed like something was wrong.

[Portia] But it didn't feel ... right? Not as exciting as everyone had told you it should have been?

  • Portia nods again.

[Guillame] That, yes. And sort of unpleasant, too.

[Portia] All right.

[Portia] Well, if there are no physical impediments - if you're able to complete the task, so to speak - then it ought to work.

[Portia] If you disguise yourself - using magic, preferably - and come to my... place of employment, then I wouldn't know it was you, and... and things might work all right. And if you told me afterwards, I'd just not take my potion that day.

  • Portia seems as if she's thought this through.

[Guillame] Oh, I can work something out for that, certainly.

[Portia] I could tell you a range of, say, three days or so when the timing should be right.

[Portia] If you feel like you'd benefit from some assistance, you could always bring M. Olivier along too, also disguised of course. It's not at all uncommon.

[Guillame] That seems like an excellent plan. And a very generous offer, too.

  • Portia looks pleased.

[Portia] Very well. When we decide the time is right, then, that's what we'll do.

[Guillame] Fantastic. And of course, if either of us develop strong feelings about the matter, we'll bring it up again immediately?

[Portia] Of course.

  • Portia offers you a somewhat awkward hug before she leaves.
  • Guillame tries to make his hug sincere

Solos

Sanadhil and Ilphere

  • Ilphere comes to find Sanadhil in a place that is definitely his office, yes :p
  • Sanadhil is reading and making notes, but smiles when you knock

[Sanadhil] Oh, excellent, good day! [Ilphere] Hello...! [Sanadhil] I wasn't certain whether you woudl be in today.... [Ilphere] I came as soon as I could... :)

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] well. [Ilphere] Well I... I am trying to keep myself occupied I suppose... [Sanadhil] Do you remember when Mlle L'Averti came with us to the Shadow Plane?

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ilphere] Yes, of course...! [Sanadhil] I spoke with her after the meeting, and she is prepared for a small group of us to meet her contact [Sanadhil] Otriginally I had planned to bring yourself and M. Argo... [Ilphere] Oh, wonderful...!

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I don't know who else I shoudl include, in any case. [Sanadhil] Who might have the interest, and be less biased...

  • Sanadhil frowns a little

[Sanadhil] In any case.... his name is Rhyl ussQu'rret.

  • Sanadhil waits to see if that twigs anything for her

[Ilphere] (does it?) [Sanadhil] (his last name is very similar to Imraen's last name @_@) [Ilphere] Well... it is similar to Imraen's family name... [Ilphere] ... I take it that is not a coincidence? [Sanadhil] we're not certain [Sanadhil] it is possible there coudl be a connection.... it is certainly worth asking him. [Sanadhil] What is more interesting.... is that he is her grandfather.

  • Ilphere raises her eyebrows.

[Ilphere] Truly...? [Sanadhil] yes! [Ilphere] Fascinating... [Sanadhil] I did not press her for details

  • Ilphere nods.

[Sanadhil] Aparently he is a scholar of the planes [Sanadhil] I'm quite looking forward to the encounter, in any case! [Ilphere] As am I... When will the meeting take place..? [Sanadhil] I'm not certain - I need to ascertain whether M. Argo is still interested, and then I will make the arrangements [Sanadhil] Mlle also asked about a related matter..... whether we might consider going back to Imraen's dream.

  • Ilphere frowns slightly...

[Ilphere] I am not sure... There would be many factors to consider... [Ilphere] Such as whether we could prepare ourselves so as to exert greater control over our dream-selves, for instance... [Ilphere] Also, Imraen might become aware of our presence more quickly, and she was none too pleased with us last time...!

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I think we were somewhat....disruptive. [Ilphere] Indeed... [Sanadhil] However, if we could maintain control, we mighht be able to speak with her [Ilphere] What does she hope to learn there...? [Sanadhil] I'm not certain, but I think she is interested to look more into the matter of the names... Apparently it is a clan name. [Sanadhil] her grandfather's in any case

  • Ilphere nods.

[Ilphere] Well, if we could make our presence less disruptive, as you say, perhaps she would be more receptive. [Ilphere] I am just not sure how to guarantee that... [Ilphere] Maybe if I could consult a more experienced dream traveller...

  • Ilphere muses.
  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] we may be able to find some way to prepare our own minds as well [Sanadhil] implant some suggestion, perhaps? [Sanadhil] to aid us from being too drawn in [Ilphere] Yes, that is a good suggestion... [Sanadhil] She said that she would liek to participate if we do attempt it again [Sanadhil] a smaller group may be more manageable, as well [Ilphere] Well, if we do so, she would certainly be welcome...!

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ilphere] So, it would seem that some more research is needed... [Sanadhil] yes [Sanadhil] if you would like some time before we arrange the meeting, that shoudl not be an issue [Ilphere] If we can find a way to prepare our minds, as you say, to be sure that we will not simply be subsumed by her dream again... then I would be willing to make another attempt.

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Ilphere nods.

[Sanadhil] some experimentation may be in order, on that front [Sanadhil] but it should be possible [Ilphere] I will try to contact Ruchard again, but I do not have the skill at controlling dreams that he has acquired... [Ilphere] Not yet, at any rate...!

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] he may have soem advice [Sanadhil] I have been considering also.... if Imraen's mind is active in her suspended state, I may be able to contact her mentally....

  • Ilphere nods.

[Ilphere] I don't recall if anyone attempted to cast Detect Thoughts on our last visit... [Sanadhil] hmmm... [Sanadhil] I think that if it was attempted, it was unsucessful [Sanadhil] she likely has a very strong will [Ilphere] Very strong... [Sanadhil] Indeed [Sanadhil] there is another matter [Ilphere] Oh...? [Sanadhil] well, it is more of a personal issue. [Ilphere] What is it...? [Sanadhil] I told you that when I visited the underarch, I saw a vision of sorts? [Ilphere] Yes...? [Sanadhil] I have been considering the matter, and it is something that I want to investigate more carefully, so I am plannign to undertake a short trip. [Ilphere] Where? [Sanadhil] Cozovode. [Sanadhil] more specifically I can't say - I am relying in part on my vision from the arch to guide me, on that front. [Sanadhil] I hope not to be gone more than a few days, but I thought it woudl be prudent to inform someone of my absence... [Ilphere] You plan to go alone, then...? [Sanadhil] Yes. [Sanadhil] No one else is familiar enough with the culture, I think - it might not be safe. [Ilphere] Ah, I see... [Ilphere] When will you be going? [Sanadhil] sometime in the next few weeks - I need to make sure my affairs here are in order. [Sanadhil] but if I speak to M. Argo, I can try and set up our trip shortly afterwards, if Mlle L'averti is amenable

  • Ilphere nods.

[Ilphere] Well, please let me know when you have more details... If you are gone too long I shall have to, I don't know, send out some kind of search party...! :x

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] I'm sure it will not be necessary, but as I have more details, I will let you know. [Ilphere] Well.. I hope it will be a productive trip for you. :) [Sanadhil] thank you :) [Sanadhil] We shall see. [Sanadhil] it made me a mistake to pursue it..... but I find I cannot let go of the idea. [Ilphere] I understand...

  • Sanadhil smiles again, but will also SM you

[Ilphere] (go ahead) [Sanadhil] (18 -_-) [Ilphere] (I believe you need to break 20 even if I don't bluff :p) [Ilphere] (but anyway I seem to be genuinely sympathetic) [Sanadhil] (yeah) [Sanadhil] in any case... It's been over a year since I've been home at all - I'm sure the trip will be good on that account, at least.

  • Ilphere will chat with Sanadhil about his trip, etc...

Alma and Ysabeau

  • Alma has invited you over for tea in the afternoon, and has offered to send her carriage 'round.
  • Ysabeau will have accepted, curious as always.
  • Alma included indication it was about the locket, but no details ^_^

[Alma] * Marielle lets you in when you arrive. [Ysabeau] Thank you, Marielle. :)

  • Ysabeau follows your servant to wherever you want to talk to me.\
  • Alma steps away from her desk and will meet you along the way to a room more appropriate for tea, though she carries a bound notebook with her.

[Alma] Good afternoon Ysabeau :) [Ysabeau] Good afternoon, Sister. [Ysabeau] How have you been?

  • Alma indicates two chairs in a corner of the room, separated by a short table.
  • Ysabeau thanks you and takes one of the seats, settling her skirts neatly around her.

[Alma] I've been well. Plans are proceeding nicely for the wedding :) [Ysabeau] I was wondering. :) [Ysabeau] Have you set a date, then? [Alma] We're almost decided on (insert date here), but we're not committed yet.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] * Marielle brings tea and munchables. [Alma] Thank you, Marielle :) [Ysabeau] Thank you. :)

  • Ysabeau thanks her too.

[Ysabeau] So, you learned something more from the locket? [Alma] Yes, I wanted to talk to you about your friend again... I've come across something very peculiar.

  • Ysabeau asks curiously once Marielle has left.

[Ysabeau] Oh? [Ysabeau] Do tell. [Alma] It's almost disconcerting... out of curiosity I checked the locket again, to confirm what I learned before... only I received a different result. [Ysabeau] What?

  • Ysabeau looks puzzled.

[Ysabeau] How is that possible? [Alma] It troubled me, because it would be the first time that I would have detected a... mistake?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I was going to ask... [Alma] Now, maybe this is just me defending my previous accuracy, but I did some thinking, and I realised it actually fits with the idea that this is Martan Kizer. You see...

  • Ysabeau gives you a concerned/sympathetic look... that would have to be troubling, for you! Possibly raise doubts about every reading you've ever done. :/

[Alma] My first result showed that the man was older, and gave the item to a lover... just a few days ago, however, he was younger, and gave it to his daughter. [Alma] That would fit, actually, with the idea that Martan Kizer had ... relations with his daughter, Althea Deverara. [Ysabeau] o_O [Alma] I'm not sure why I received the initial impressions... it's quite confusing, but our supposition is not in any way harmed if BOTH readings are accurate. [Ysabeau] I can see the lover and the daughter aspect... [Ysabeau] But older and then younger? [Ysabeau] I don't see how that makes sense. [Alma] That is the most confusing, and I can only come up with one suggestion so far... [Alma] And I admit this is purely conjecture... [Ysabeau] Oh, wait. [Alma] The locket was given to the daughter, who may be Althea, and was stolen by Dessa's grandmother...

  • Ysabeau nods, listening, waiting for you to finish.

[Alma] Perhaps if Althea later was near the locket, or even noticed it, and realised it was hers, but failed to actually come into direct contact with it... perhaps it could have caused some sort of ... conflict. [Alma] The "rightful" owner comes close, her emotional state of ownership attempts to assert itself, "updating" the impressions in the locket... but not completely so. [Alma] Though that wouldn't necessarily account for the age being appropriate for our theoretical "Martan", now that I think about it. [Alma] I suppose he himself could have had a conflicting response to seeing the locket.

  • Ysabeau raises a sceptical eyebrow.

[Ysabeau] How do you explain Martan giving it to Althea twice? [Alma] No, he didn't give it to her twice... [Ysabeau] Okay, I am confused. [Alma] I'm just suggesting that if Martan or Althea left a secondary impression somehow, it might have left information about their later relationship. [Ysabeau] Oh, possibly. [Alma] Well, you see, if Martan Kizer is the original owner, and it was given to Althea when he was 54, she was merely an infant.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] By extension, at 70, Althea was older than the age at which she lost the locket, meaning it was in the possession of Dessa's grandmother. [Alma] I admit it's... guesswork. [Alma] But I'm certain I wasn't just imagining the first reading.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Dessa's grandmother lived in the Shambles. [Ysabeau] But Althea was a noblewoman. [Ysabeau] How would they have known one another? [Alma] Yes... that is exactly what I hoped you might be able to find out.

  • Ysabeau asks curiously, not really expecting an answer.
  • Alma reads you the full results of her reading.

[Ysabeau] Me? [Alma] You see, Althea and Dessa's grandmother may have been foster-sisters. [Alma] If we can even get a hint that this might be the truth, I think we can confirm the locket belonged to Martan Kizer. [Ysabeau] Well... I can try to track her down. I think she is still alive.

  • Ysabeau sounds doubtful.

[Alma] Oh is she? [Alma] I thought this was left from when she passed... [Ysabeau] I'm not really sure, actually. [Alma] Well, I suppose the impression I got was that it was "passed on" to Dessa. Perhaps she was simply disinvesting herself of her possessions for some reason or other... [Alma] Would this... be something uncomfortable for you?

  • Alma says, realising in the midst of her curiosity that she is talking about your friend.

[Ysabeau] Well, I don't really know how I'd find out what you want. [Ysabeau] But I do want to get to the bottom of the mystery of her death. [Alma] I thought perhaps you might know some other relatives of hers, or friends, who might know more about her grandmother... [Ysabeau] No. She was a runaway. I only knew of her grandmother. [Ysabeau] I could ask Murienne, but I doubt she'd know things like that about Dessa's grandmother. [Ysabeau] Ninon de Quercy went missing at the same time as Altheo. [Alma] Anything at all might help, and allow me to do more digging on my own. For example, if we have a name and birthdate, I might find something in old church records. [Alma] de Quercy is missing? and Altheo Renaud? [Ysabeau] She might have known something like that, possibly. But only if Dessa herself knew, and told Ninon about it. [Alma] I ... Mr. Renaud's establishment did not indicate he was missing. [Ysabeau] Yes. They say he went on a business trip but no one's heard from him since. [Ysabeau] It's not really like him, to just up and leave his work like that. [Alma] I suppose it has been some time since I last asked... Mr. Renaud brought Felise here. [Alma] Did Dessa Underdown know Mlle. de QUercy? And Mr. Renaud? [Ysabeau] Dessa was in Ninon's gang.

  • Alma mulls this over.

[Alma] What about Theodis Maez? [Ysabeau] What about her? [Alma] Was she connected to de Quercy? [Ysabeau] Not that I know of... she worked for the Hush. [Ysabeau] She was with Vescan Corriveau when I tracked him down. [Ysabeau] Something I need to do again. [Alma] Corriveau was the one who stole the locket in the first place, correct? [Ysabeau] Yes, Sister. [Alma] I agree, though it may not be necessary after we speak to Maze Olivier, if Vescan was working under his command.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] It's not something I'm really looking forward to, anyway... [Alma] I have quite a long list of topics to discuss with the Lord Grey [Ysabeau] I only have one.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] Well, I have this awful feeling they may be all interconnected somehow... [Alma] If only through the Hush. [Ysabeau] It's possible that Dessa's death had nothing to do with the theft of the locket. [Ysabeau] The boy who told us said he thought that she died because of the necklace... [Ysabeau] I guess several of de Quercy's gang had been killed right around then.

  • Alma frowns.

[Ysabeau] It was just my theory since I didn't know how else Vescan would have known that I had the locket, or who I even was. [Alma] Yes, it's possible... [Ysabeau] But it is entirely possible that everything is connected, too. [Ysabeau] I don't know. I'm not a guard, I'm a bard. [Ysabeau] Intrigues are not my strong point. [Alma] We'll keep looking.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] If you'd like, I could come with you while you ask around about Dessa? [Alma] her grandmother, that is.

  • Ysabeau looks and sounds kind of frustrated.

[Ysabeau] I'm sure you can take care of yourself in the Shambles... but you'll have to dress down so you don't attract attention.

  • Alma reaches out to rest her hand on yours supportively

[Alma] I can keep us safe :) [Alma] We'll be halfway across the empire in a flash :) [Ysabeau] I know you can but we'll get further if you don't look like a Countess and a Priestess. [Ysabeau] But I'm going to ask Lord Grey about everything before I start trying to find Dessa's grandmother who may well be dead, I don't know. [Alma] Yes, that's a good idea. Our meeting is soon, and then we can delve into it. [Alma] I'll ask around to see what sort of dress would be appropriate for a sister in the Shambles.

  • Alma looks down at herself reflexively, unsure of what exactly would be unsuitable.

[Ysabeau] How about you just look like an impoverished woman? [Ysabeau] I'm not sure how well received the clergy would be in the Shambles with the food crisis going on. [Alma] The Church has been providing food as quickly as possible... [Ysabeau] I know, but a fair number of people don't think the Church has done enough. [Alma] The Revelators have been no help there.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] I'd like to get my time in Stavanger's ear.

  • Alma scowls.

[Ysabeau] Their words wouldn't have as much power, if people weren't already thinking what the Revelators say. [Ysabeau] I can lend you some of my old clothes. [Alma] Well, if you think they would fit...

  • Alma looks a little disappointed. .oO( Hiding myself? Maybe she's right. I shouldn't let pride get in the way of her answers. )

[Alma] Well, I suppose that's hardly their fault. It's easy to assume that because there is money somewhere, that it can just be spent to get more food... [Ysabeau] I think they'll fit all right, with only a few alterations. [Ysabeau] You're a bit taller than me, but no one will think anything of a Shambles woman's skirts being a bit too short.

  • Alma looks down at her silver holy symbol.

[Alma] I must have a wooden one about someplace. [Ysabeau] You can tuck it under your bodice. [Alma] Should I leave anything magic at home?

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Alma] This choker would be helpful talking to people... [Ysabeau] I'm not sure how many people in the Shambles would have Detect Magic. [Ysabeau] The ones that do are probably the worst threat. They'll be thieves. [Alma] Well, it is a basic spell, I thought I'd check first :) [Alma] Should we bring Danyel?

  • Ysabeau thinks.

[Ysabeau] Hard to say... most ordinary women wouldn't have a body guard. [Alma] He could just be my fiancé :) [Alma] Well, you think it over and let me know if I should ask him to come with us.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I'll do that, Sister. [Alma] I think if anything happens, I can just teleport us out of there in a flash. [Ysabeau] Hopefully. [Ysabeau] Hopefully Lord Grey will be extremely talkative and we won't have to attempt a covert operation in the Shambles. [Ysabeau] If I'd wanted to be a spy I'd have applied to Lord Grey. :P [Alma] Yes, that is much like what I told him when I responded to his request to investigate Brother Phineas! [Alma] I'm a priest, not a spy! [Alma] The least he could have done was provided some sort of tips :) [Ysabeau] Well, i am quite sure there are priests who are also spies, as much as there are bards who are also spies. [Alma] Yes, I don't doubt it, after seeing who Strauch was. [Alma] I feel a little guilty that I didn't try harder... [Ysabeau] Hindsight is always sharp. Don't beat yourself up over it, Sister. [Ysabeau] Just take it as a lesson for the future. [Alma] Well now it's abundantly clear that Maze Olivier's words are worth marking, even if he's wrong. [Alma] I just wonder if Mlle. Maez might have been saved... [Alma] Anyhow. [Ysabeau] She chose her life with the Hush, Sister. She must have known the risks.

  • Ysabeau looks a little sad... maybe thinking of someone else in the Hush. :P

[Alma] Sometimes people take risks for the right reasons. [Alma] Like heading into the shambles to investigate the death of a friend. :)

  • Ysabeau clears her throat.

[Ysabeau] It's not such a risk, for me... [Ysabeau] I grew up there. [Ysabeau] There aren't that many options for orphans.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] Did you know your parents? [Ysabeau] I'm mostly worried about how to make you blend in. [Ysabeau] Oh, yes. [Alma] How old were you? [Ysabeau] I was 10 when they died. [Alma] And Murienne? [Ysabeau] She was six. [Alma] That must have been hard. [Alma] It was hard enough for me, with a younger brother, and I had all sorts of help.

  • Ysabeau nods. She maybe seems like she doesn't want to talk about it.

[Alma] Y-you know, I bet they would be very proud of you both.

  • Alma nods too, her eyes shining a little.

[Alma] Sorry...

  • Ysabeau cracks a weird sort of smile.

[Alma] I didn't mean to pry. [Ysabeau] They'd be proud of Murienne, anyway. [Alma] You do yourself a disservice. [Ysabeau] I have some work to do, Sister.

  • Alma nods

[Alma] You're both welcome to drop by anytime. [Ysabeau] I should probably get going. You and Dominik will let me know when we have our meeting with Lord Grey? [Ysabeau] Thank you, Sister. [Alma] If Murienne needs anything for reading material for her studies... anytime. [Alma] A snack even :) [Alma] I'll leave word with the staff. [Ysabeau] Thank you. I'll let her know. That's very kind.

  • Alma will get up to see you out.

[Ysabeau] Have a good afternoon, Sister. [Alma] .oO( Oh you foolish woman, she's musician to the Emperor, she can surely buy her sister books. ) [Alma] You too :)

  • Ysabeau takes her leave, a bit relieved.

Alma and Cesar

  • Alma will drop in to visit César not terribly long after the announcement is made public.

[Cesar] (what time of day? ;)

  • Alma aims for noon.
  • Alma has Sagesse put together a basket of nutritious food.
  • Cesar 's valet opens the door and admits you and your basket.

[Alma] Good afternoon :)

  • Cesar is lounging on the sofa, in dressing gown.

[Cesar] Morning, Alma.

[Alma] Up bright and early relaxing, I see :)

[Alma] I brought you a few things from the kitchen that might fill in some of your nutritional gaps.

  • Alma gives the valet the basket.

[Cesar] Lovely :)

[Alma] Anything exciting planned for the day?

[Cesar] Nothing exciting happens during the day ;)

[Alma] Oh now I know that's a lie. There was a riot not long ago.

[Cesar] So you want me to go start a riot?

[Alma] I'm just saying don't let the sun lower your expectations :)

[Cesar] So, I saw that you and M. Rackley are getting married. Congratulations :)

[Alma] Yes :)

[Alma] Thank you.

[Alma] I've actually come about that very thing.

[Cesar] Oh?

[Alma] I was hoping you would stand with us :)

[Cesar] Oh, certainly!

[Alma] Danyel's mother has picked you out a lovely dress.

[Cesar] :p

[Alma] :)

[Alma] Unless of course you might like to stand on his side instead :)

[Cesar] That might be preferable.

[Cesar] I mean, it wouldn't be the first time I've worn a dress, if that's your preference...

[Alma] D:

  • Cesar smirks.

[Alma] No, that'll be fine -_-

  • Alma looks to see if he's serious
  • Cesar is (probably) joking?

[Alma] Maybe I should be sending someone 'round to check out your parties

[Cesar] (but hey, military school...)

[Alma] Though I suppose that's hardly something to /worry/ about.

[Alma] >_>

  • Cesar laughs.

[Alma] How has everything been, aside from your fashion shows?

[Cesar] Oh, not bad. I try to keep busy ;)

[Alma] Do you still see uh, Genevea Deanda?

[Cesar] "See"?

[Alma] Well, in any capacity? :P

[Alma] I am not out and about to see who else you might be spending your time with :P

[Cesar] She's a nice girl... Not really the 'seeing' type.

[Alma] Ah, that's a shame.

[Cesar] Oh, no, it's fine.

[Cesar] I mean, I can take her to parties and so on - she just insists on being taken home afterwards ;)

[Cesar] You'd like her.

  • Alma rolls her eyes.

[Alma] You could probably use a few quiet nights yourself, you know.

[Cesar] Maybe I should come up with some ancient ruin to explore and invite her along for the camping trip, I hear that works ;)

[Alma] Well, perhaps it would ^_^

[Alma] Though I'll say he did ask me first well before the trip to Kholm...

[Cesar] Has her father come to talk to you yet?

  • Cesar asks, mildly curious.

[Alma] The Count of Ilorin?

  • Cesar nods.

[Alma] No. Are you worried I'm making plans for you?

[Cesar] Just keeping tabs on my potential marriageability.

[Alma] Well, you've quite a bit more leeway for that, and you can take your time.

[Alma] Though... you should let me know if there /are/ any good prospects I could help you with.

  • Alma looks briefly unsure of her wording.

[Cesar] I'm not in a hurry.

[Cesar] I mean, even if I wait until I'm ancient, like thirty, there are always eligible girls.

[Alma] Genevea is not a bad choice, you know. It's possible she might inherit the county... Maybe when you've worn yourself out, you might be knocking at her door for someone a little more...sedate :)

  • Alma nods

[Cesar] Well, I wouldn't object to her outright. As I said, she's pleasant, and pretty as well.

[Alma] Well, if there's no magic, there's no magic.

[Alma] I hope you're as lucky as I am, and find someone perfect :)

  • Cesar smiles.

[Alma] Do you see much of Patric?

[Cesar] Sure.

[Alma] Is he keeping out of trouble?

[Cesar] When he's not busy helping the emperor pick out a tie.

  • Cesar shrugs.

[Cesar] What sort of trouble?

[Alma] Oh, I'm just curious for Biatrix's sake :)

[Cesar] Ahh.

[Cesar] Then, for the elderly maiden aunt, he's behaving himself perfectly.

[Alma] Mmhmmmm.

[Cesar] Well, what am I supposed to say?

[Alma] Well you could tell ME to do the fibbing :P

[Alma] But it's ok.

[Alma] She's already aware he's a scamp.

[Alma] :P

[Cesar] You probably don't want to hear the details either, though ;)

[Alma] No, not the details -_-

[Cesar] You're practicing for your future career as an elderly aunt ^-^

[Alma] I ...

[Alma] You behave.

[Cesar] Heh.

[Alma] I mean that generally too.

[Cesar] You mean so that I don't make you an aunt anytime soon? ;)

[Alma] Well since I'm married first, and I'm in no hurry, it's only sensible that you be second.

[Alma] Stand and give me a hug.

  • Cesar will do so.

[Cesar] Thanks for the basket.

[Alma] Wouldn't you rather be an uncle to teach my child bad habits than a father? :)

[Cesar] For now, absolutely.

[Alma] Ohhhh.

[Alma] But somewhere in the midst a child exists as a glimmer ? :)

[Cesar] Don't rush me ;)

  • Alma hugs tight.
  • Cesar hugs you back.

[Alma] I'd be glad to be an old frumpy aunt when you're ready :)

[Alma] You take care.

[Alma] And go out and get some sunlight

[Cesar] Oh, all right.

[Alma] You look like a ghost.

[Cesar] I always look like that :p

[Cesar] So do you, for that matter.

[Alma] Yes but *I* have a nice rosy tinge

[Alma] Or do you find the vampire look works? :3

[Cesar] I just get more freckles.

[Alma] Freckles are cute!

[Cesar] Pft.

[Alma] Maybe Genevea likes freckles.

[Cesar] You need to have children, so you can mother someone else ;)

[Alma] You know very well I'm unlikely to stop mothering you until you have a good source of income or a stable partner, and even then I'll just cut back.

[Alma] -_-

  • Cesar rolls his eyes as he sees you to the door, but doesn't seem overly annoyed.

[Alma] I did /try/ not to today, I just slipped :)

[Cesar] Suuure.

  • Alma takes her leave.


Alma and Felise

  • Alma will stop in to chat with Felise while she's in a sitting room or such.
  • Felise is always glad to chat with you :)

[Alma] How are you doing today? :)

[Felise] I'm very well, thank you. The weather is finally warming up, and sitting here in the sun is lovely...

[Alma] It is quite nice. I was out in the garden thinking about what might look nice there this spring.

  • Felise nods.

[Alma] Speaking of spring...

[Felise] Yes?

[Alma] I was hoping you might free your schedule once Danyel and I... and his mother, decide on a proper date.

[Alma] And that you would like to stand with us during the ceremony :)

[Felise] Oh! :D

[Felise] I'd love to, Alma!

[Alma] Excellent :)

  • Alma will give Felise a hug!
  • Felise hugs back tightly.

[Felise] I'm so happy for the two of you - you're just the perfect couple.

[Alma] Thank you :)

  • Alma blushes a little, proving she is not a ghost ^_^

[Alma] I'll have to take you by to introduce you to his mother, Elsa Rackley, she'll want to meet you. She's very hands on.

  • Felise chuckles.

[Felise] Well, I'm used to domineering mothers ;)

[Felise] As long as she doesn't try to mind-control me we should get along fine.

  • Alma does her best to chuckle.
  • Alma might let a flash of anger at Phedre show through.

[Alma] I think she just relies on being a pain in your side until she gets her way ;)

[Felise] That's fine!

[Felise] You can complain about her to me in private.

  • Alma grins.

[Alma] She did turn around rather quickly when she learned that we were going to be married. Still frosty, but not nearly as bad at the weddings.

[Felise] I'm glad to hear it. Maybe she was relieved.

[Alma] Well, I'm sure she was, but for what exactly? That her son wasn't simply seeing someone... It's not like that seems to affect a man's image :|

[Alma] .oO( Don't think about the Scourge, you silly woman. )

  • Felise nods...

[Alma] Honestly, I'm glad she's taking over some of the planning... it's a lot of work, and I don't want to be bothered with a lot of that stuff. I'm sure she'll make it beautiful enough, and I trust her to take care of pesky image problems :P

[Felise] It's probably good to keep her busy.

[Alma] I hadn't considered that... maybe the entire household will benefit :)

[Felise] Danyel's siblings will thank you.

  • Alma smiles.
  • Alma chats more watching to see if Felise is doing well.
  • Felise seems quite cheerful.
  • Alma talks about dresses and things woo