Diablotin 2 session 55

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 2 session logs
Previous Session 55 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: November 14, 2010
Diablotin date:

Prologue

Alma, Dominik, Ysabeau and Maze

  • Ysabeau will dress attractively but not tarty, in case Maze is still moved by lovely ladies.
  • Alma will pick up Dominik and Ysabeau in her carriage.

[DiablotinNarrator] (Did you guys need to talk about anything before going?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (or, in your carriage on the way)

  • Alma just runs down her list of topics.

[Alma] He's going to want to kick us out halfway through, I'm sure.

[Alma] (I think we're good.)

[Ysabeau] We'll just have to make sure we charm him so much he doesn't want to kick us out at all.

[Dominik] Then we should start with Martin and then then Strauch I think.

[Alma] Yes, I was thinking that might be a better beginning myself.

[Alma] Shorter, and possibly less entangled in the rest.

  • Ysabeau smiles.
  • Dominik has nothing more to add

[DiablotinNarrator] Dom, Ysa, and Alma, you draw up to the house on Thorne Terrace which is the headquarters of Lord Grey and his associates.

  • Ysabeau tries to calm her nerves; the Hush still scares her.

[Alma] (What precisely is the title Lord Grey again?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (it's an informal title given to the head of the Companions of Silence)

[DiablotinNarrator] (doesn't come with land or whatever, not really a title in the noble sense)

[DiablotinNarrator] The house's curtains are drawn, even though it's day, and the door is shut.

[Ysabeau] Looks like they're in mourning or something.

  • Ysabeau says with a hint of... something... in her voice.

[Dominik] bah, its likely always like this.

  • Ysabeau doesn't really mean it; she's mostly joking.

[Ysabeau] Oh, and *that* doesn't look suspicious.

  • Ysabeau grins.
  • Alma casts Owl's Wisdom before heading in.

[Alma] Well, shall we?

  • Alma dismounts and heads towards the door.
  • Alma runs through her detection abilities quickly
  • Ysabeau wishes Detect Thoughts had a longer duration.
  • Dominik nods
  • Alma will knock

[Alma] (or pull the bell, whichever)

  • Housekeeper - or at least you assume that's what she is - opens the door.
  • Housekeeper is a very large woman, tall and heavy-browed, with pale hair and a ruddy complexion.
  • Housekeeper eyes you somewhat suspiciously.

[Housekeeper] Yes?

[Alma] (We have a meeting right?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (yes)

[Alma] Good afternoon. We're here to speak with Mr. Olivier.

[Housekeeper] Do you have an appointment?

[Alma] Yes. I am Sister Alma, Countess de Béziers, and this is Dominich Rademacher and Ysabeau Chaniuer.

[Ysabeau] Good afternoon.

  • Alma smiles politely :)
  • Housekeeper lets you in, grudgingly.
  • Alma steps in

[DiablotinNarrator] The house is lit inside with magical lighting.

  • Ysabeau looks around with open curiosity and an appraising eye.
  • Dominik follows

[DiablotinNarrator] The rooms you can see into are stuffed with books, scrolls, maps, etc.

  • Alma quirks a brow.

[Ysabeau] What fun to be set loose for a few afternoons in here.

  • Ysabeau murmurs.
  • Housekeeper escorts you to a parlour on the main floor.
  • Maze is seated inside, reading what looks like a pile of correspondence.

[Maze] Oh, good afternoon.

  • Maze greets you when you are shown in.
  • Ysabeau makes a small formal curtsey,

[Alma] Mr. Olivier :)

[Ysabeau] Good afternoon, Lord Grey.

  • Housekeeper waits by the door.

[Maze] You can go, Myra, they won't cause any trouble. Will they.

  • Maze says in a not-really-a-question sort of way.
  • Ysabeau is amused that anyone thinks they would attack him in his own domain.
  • Housekeeper will grudgingly depart, shutting the door behind her. You get the sense she won't be far away, though.

[Maze] Please, have a seat.

  • Alma can, in fact, sense ^_^

[Alma] Thank you.

  • Alma takes a seat.
  • Dominik nods and takes a seat
  • Ysabeau takes a seat gracefully, arranging her skirts about her and quietly regards Maze, trying to get a mesaure of the man.
  • Maze is a thin, balding man in his sixties, dressed in simple but well-made and probably fairly expensive clothing.

[Maze] So, what is this concerning?

[Alma] Well, a number of things, actually, a surprising number of trails lead back to you, Mr. Olivier :)

  • Ysabeau leaves it to the others to speak, since they've had dealings with him before.
  • Maze just smiles slightly at that.
  • Ysabeau just watches him (I'll be SMing, obviously) and takes note of her surroundings.

[Alma] Firstly, I wanted to pass on, obviously somewhat late, that Brother Phineas Strauch was indeed involved in the theft of Noira Langevin's necklace.

[Ysabeau] (23 for my SM so I'll probably get nothing off him)

[Maze] Thank you, Sister.

[Maze] How were you able to determine this?

[Maze] I understand that he recently passed away. My sympathies.

  • Alma tries not to look too dubious.

[Alma] I found Brother Phineas, and in an attempt to help the Guard explain his murder, undertook a few divinations, and twice cast Speak with Dead.

[Maze] Ahh, I see.

[Alma] Your question has bever been far from my mind, so it was my last, that first evening.

[Maze] I appreciate your efforts, Sister. It confirms what I had suspected.

[Alma] Along with the issue of the necklace, we hoped to speak with you about a Mister Martan Olivier.

[Maze] Oh?

[Alma] Well, we have good reason to believe that Martan Olivier is an assumed persona, and that you may already be aware of this.

[Alma] It seemed like you might be an appropriate person to talk to, should that place him in danger.

[Maze] You believe him to be in danger, then?

[Alma] You're familiar with the Order of the Black Down?

[Maze] Yes, I am.

[Alma] The Order are looking for someone, according to divinations which point to him, and his mother.

[Alma] (SM 26)

[Maze] And what do you think they would do if they were to locate and identify him?

[DiablotinNarrator] (no idea)

[Alma] I'm not sure, to be honest. I'm certain that they will have their own interests in mind, however.

[Alma] Merely confirming his existence may be enough, however they may attempt to kidnap, or try to convert him.

[Maze] May I ask what your concern is in this matter? And how you became aware of all of this?

[Alma] My personal and professional concern lies in the activities of the Order as a whole.

[Alma] Though even if I considered them trivial, I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to Mr. Olivier.

[Maze] That's very good of you.

[Alma] As to how we came to know... Mr. Rademacher and I both followed a trail that led to Reverend Father Velten.

[Dominik] No small effort was taken to conceal his identity. It must have been done for a reason.

[Maze] Ahh, indeed.

[Alma] The divination was already pointing strongly at Theonée Deverara, it was merely a question of whether she had already born a child. I found entries in Matriarch Pasith's diaries which hinted that she might have done so in Greywatch.

[Maze] As for the reasons, yes...I'm sure they were considerable.

[Alma] Do you know of any of those motivations in particular, Mr. Olivier?

[Maze] To conceal the child from those who might wish it harm.

[Dominik] Who was going to do that? The cult wasn't around... sure the child was a scandal but the effort makes no sense for just that.

[Alma] Indeed, it seems like a lot of effort, for a hunch.

  • Ysabeau glances at Dominik and Alma, then turns her attention back to Lord Grey.

[Maze] No, the cult did not exist at that point, as far as I know. But that doesn't mean the child would have been safe.

[Alma] So you believe the concerns were merely ... political, nothing more?

[Maze] No, not merely political.

[Maze] ... Religious? spiritual?

  • Alma nods.

[Dominik] so back to the Arch.

  • Dominik shakes his head

[Alma] Who had these concerns? du Champe?

[Maze] Because of the child's parentage, there were always going to be those who viewed it with ... alarm, and those who viewed it with unhealthy interest.

[Maze] If she had been aware of it, the Matriarch. Concealing it from her was probably foremost in their minds at the time, I suspect.

[Alma] It appears that they succeeded.

  • Ysabeau tries to think - he means Matriarch Pasith? o_O

[Alma] (Yeah, there's a Patriarch now.)

[Alma] In hindsight, I'm not sure it was such a great idea.

[Alma] But I suppose I am just coming into this story.

[Maze] Hindsight is one of those difficult things. And once the course was undertaken, it would have been very difficult to reverse.

[Ysabeau] Does he know, himself?

[Dominik] And to continue this concealment, is that why you had me sent after Althea's journal?

[Maze] Yes. I suspected that she would have written about it - that needed to be destroyed on the off-chance someone else was looking for it.

  • Maze turns his gaze to Ysabeau.

[Maze] Which part of it?

[Ysabeau] His true identity?

[Maze] No.

[Alma] Reverend Father Velten suggested as much, at least before his trip to Greywatch.

[Ysabeau] Does he suspect?

[Maze] I think he feels that something is amiss.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] He strikes me as somewhat lonely and sad.

[Maze] Perhaps. Better lonely and sad than dead, or worse.

[Ysabeau] Possibly. It can't be much fun, being a pawn.

[Alma] So, as far as you know, there are no other... divinations or portents which pertain to Hespera?

[Alma] (SM 30 on that)

[Maze] Some were conducted at the time of the child's birth. I don't know their contents.

[Alma] Who might?

[Maze] Possibly Corwen Storms? I believe that many of du Champe's private, scholarly papers are in his keeping.

  • Alma nods
  • Alma looks to Dominik to see if he has anything else.
  • Dominik frowns

[Alma] Well, with regard to Martan Olivier, I will of course keep you abridged of anything I learn about the Order's activities.

[Alma] And you are welcome to any assistance I may offer to keep him safe.

[Maze] I appreciate that.

[Maze] Was there anything further?

[Alma] Oh yes. Mlle. Chaniuer has accompanied us today because of a matter which we once thought was connected to Martan Olivier, but that is no longer clear.

[Maze] Oh?

  • Maze turns to Ysabeau once more, with a smile.

[Maze] What matter is this?

  • Ysabeau shrugs.

[Ysabeau] I was curious if the name Underdown means anything to you.

[Maze] I have heard the name before, yes.

[Ysabeau] What can you tell me about it?

[Maze] Well, there was a girl by the name of Dessa Underdown who died... last year, I believe?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Maze] Her murder remains unsolved, as far as I'm aware.

[Maze] Does it concern that case?

[Ysabeau] Dessa was my sister's best friend.

[Maze] I'm very sorry.

  • Ysabeau cocks her head to one side, smiling.

[Ysabeau] I'm sure.

[Ysabeau] Tell me, does Vescan Corriveau work for you, or for the Warlord?

  • Alma quirks a brow.

[Maze] I would have to say that Vescan Corriveau's primary loyalty is to himself.

  • Maze looks intrigued, though.

[Ysabeau] My best guess is that he had something to do with Dessa's death.

[Maze] Perhaps last year, I would hve said, to his family, but more recent events have proven that quite untrue.

[Ysabeau] Oh?

  • Ysabeau waits for him to elaborate.

[Maze] Yes, well, the sudden demise of the remaining members of the Corriveaux, followed by Vescan's rise, suggests that he wasn't quite as loyal to them as they probably thought he was.

[Ysabeau] Is that what happened to Ninon de Quercy?

[Ysabeau] She's dead?

[Maze] I don't know if they're dead. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they were, but it's possible they've gone into deep hiding.

[Maze] Tatiane would have many resources for enabling sudden disappearances.

[Ysabeau] Altheo Renaud disappeared right around the same time...

  • Ysabeau muses aloud.

[Maze] So did Avery Veilleux. Although not his mother - the only other Corriveau left in the city, as far as I'm aware.

[Alma] Is that... La Corriveau?

[Alma] Ninon's grandmother?

[Maze] No, that was Tatiane, and I haven't heard from her in months.

[Ysabeau] You said Vescan has experienced a rise in his fortunes. To what?

[Maze] I don't believe her daughter has any interest in the family business - she's quite occupied with her own entrepreneurial activities, so perhaps that's why she was permitted to stay.

[Maze] Well, head of the Corriveau network, among other things.

[Alma] Do you suspect Vescan of involvement in the theft of the necklace?

[Maze] He has ties in the palace - perhaps with Nash, but I'm uncertain of that.

[Ysabeau] Who did Theodis Maez work for?

[Ysabeau] You or Nash?

[Alma] Ysabeau, this may not be related to Maez...

[Maze] Theo was one of my best.

[Dominik] It is

[Dominik] Strauch was involved in the necklace and in Theo's death. I don't think its a coincidence

[Ysabeau] Sister, Vescan and Theodis were together when I first confronted him about what he stole.

[Alma] Perhaps Mr. Olivier knows why Vescan tried to steal the locket in the first place.

[Maze] It wasn't on my direction, I can tell you that much.

[Ysabeau] What do you know about the locket?

[Alma] We had suspected that perhaps it contained something of Martan Kizer's, which might put the reappearance of someone strikingly similar in a suspicious light.

[Ysabeau] I was asking Lord Grey.

  • Alma wasn't answering you.

[Maze] I don't know anything about a locket, apart from what you've told me.

[Ysabeau] Very well.

[Ysabeau] I'll tell you because with your network, you might be able to make some sense out of it.

[Maze] When was it stolen?

[Ysabeau] The same night Dessa was murdered, as far as I can tell.

[Maze] So someone found out about the locket from her, killed her to keep her quiet, and then came looking for it?

[Ysabeau] Not someone. Vescan.

[Ysabeau] It was a portrait of Martan Kizer, which belonged to Dessa's grandmother. Dessa inherited it from her.

[Maze] If Vescan was asked to steal it, then it was either by his grandmother, or under his own initiative.

[Alma] And you think that Vescan has turned against his grandmother?

  • Maze considers that.

[Ysabeau] Dessa had given it to me, along with some of her other possessions, because she was nervous about a shakedown or something.

[Maze] So it was a locket, with a portrait of Martan Kizer. Did it contain anything else?

[Alma] That is what we were hoping you might know.

[Ysabeau] Vescan claims it held a lock of hair.

[Ysabeau] Wrapped in a note.

[Alma] Have you heard of something like this?

[Maze] He claims?

[Ysabeau] But he could well have been lying. I didn't know it was a locket when Dessa gave it to me for safekeeping, so I didn't think to open it to see what it contained, until after Vescan had broken into my house.

[Maze] There has to have been something, though...

[Ysabeau] I only learned it was a locket when Dessa's friend came by; he noticed.

  • Maze is obviously thinking this through.

[Ysabeau] So then Dominik and I tracked Vescan down, and that is when he told me it contained a lock of hair and a note.

  • Maze stands to pace while he thinks.

[Ysabeau] He also claimed that the portrait was 'lying' - that it was pretending to be someone other than Martan Kizer.

[Ysabeau] All i can figure is that the note was from someone else in the Kizer family, perhaps Leonien.

[Maze] Maybe the contents belonged to someone other than Martan Kizer.

[Alma] We do have reason to believe the locket was once owned by Martan Kizer...

[Alma] Do you know if Vescan was left-handed, Mr. Olivier?

[Maze] Stop asking irrelevant questions and let me think.

[Ysabeau] Let him think, Sister. We can ask that very relevant question once he's finished.

[Maze] Vescan has to have known about this item from someone. Either he found out from Dessa before her death - whether or not he personally killed her - or he learned it from another source. The only other likely source is his grandmother, Tatiane.

[Maze] I think the latter is more likely. Even if he was somehow speaking to Dessa coincidentally and she mentioned the locket, why would he find it important enough to try and steal on that basis alone?

[Alma] (Nobility 16 to know about Leonien Kizer)

[DiablotinNarrator] (sure, he's the Duke of Friaul)

[Maze] So let's assume Tatiane knew about this item, and wanted it for her own purposes.

[Maze] But that backfired on her, badly.

[Maze] The note... if Vescan read the note, and its contents made it clear to him why this was important, he used that knowledge somehow...

[Maze] There are pieces missing here.

[Maze] Tell me everything you know about this locket.

[Ysabeau] Lord Grey, we're not all blessed with wits as quick as yours, or the knowledge you hold in your head... how did it backfire on Tatiane...? When you're finished thinking aloud, some explanations would be helpful, for me, at least.

[Ysabeau] Um...

  • Ysabeau tries diligently to keep up with him.

[Ysabeau] It was a miniature portrait, which I've been able to determine is of Martan Kizer.

[Alma] I suspect the locket belonged to Martan Kizer, and was given to Althea Deverara during her infancy. Later, at about fifteen, it was stolen by her foster sister, the grandmother of Dessa Underdown

  • Maze snaps his fingers.

[Alma] I do not believe anyone else has owned the locket for any extended period of time.

[Ysabeau] Lady Cordovera, Princess Ilphere's late grandmother, confirmed that it was of Martan Kizer.

[Maze] That's it. That's it!

[Maze] Of course, Althea...

[Maze] Then... void, yes, that would explain it.

[Alma] Althea hid something within it?

  • Maze stops pacing.

[Ysabeau] Althea or her daughter?

[Ysabeau] No that makes no sense

[Maze] Her foster sister - don't you see?

[Maze] No, of course - that's all right.

[Maze] Althea Deverara. *Deverara*.

[Alma] We had hoped to ask around to find out who exactly Dessa Underdown's grandmother was, to see who might have been her foster-sister.

[Alma] (k nob 15 on her for her foster-sister :P)

[Alma] I'm not familiar with much of Althea Deverara's family, Mr. Olivier.

[Housekeeper] ...

  • Housekeeper taps at the door.
  • Maze goes to open it.

[Housekeeper] Sir, your next appointment...

[Maze] Oh, of course. Damn.

  • Alma suppresses an exasperated sigh.

[Ysabeau] Can we return at another date, Lord Grey, to continue this fascinating line of thought?

[Maze] There are some things I can't tell you - it would be... detrimental to my position, let's say.

[Maze] But if you follow the path to your own conclusions, well.... that's not my fault.

[Alma] This includes the name of Althea Deverara's foster-sister?

[Maze] I don't know her first name - but her last name would have been Dark.

[Alma] I see.

[Ysabeau] I just need to know what to tell my sister about why Dessa was murdered.

  • Ysabeau sighs.

[Alma] We really must speak again soon, Mr. Olivier.

  • Dominik stands to leave

[Alma] I would like to tell you how I might learn more about the body in the Hall of Worthies.

[Maze] Thank you for coming.

  • Alma nods politely

[Ysabeau] Have a good afternoon, Lord Grey.

[Maze] Good afternoon.

[Dominik] Afternnon

Alma, Dominik and Ysabeau

[Ysabeau] Well, that got me nowhere fast.

  • Ysabeau says, sounding frustrated, once we are back in your carriage.

[Ysabeau] Hopefully you got what you wanted.

[Ysabeau] Thanks for allowing me to tag along.

[Dominik] It sounds like we should track down Vescan and be persuasive with him.

[Alma] That sounds like it might be more difficult than it once was, if he is suddenly in control of a major crime organisation.

[Alma] .oO( Not that I'm not sure the Hush is much different. )

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Dominik] sounds like a challenge then

[Ysabeau] For some people, maybe.

[Dominik] I'm tired of all these secrets and manipulations and games. Seems to me that we have a good indication that Vescan is up to something or knows something.

[Alma] He may not know anything at all to do with issues relating to the Arch, however.

[Dominik] All these threads are related.

[Alma] Maybe.

[Alma] We didn't get to talk about Nash *at all*

[Ysabeau] We'll just have to go back.

[Alma] I'll have to make another appointment, apparently.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Dominik] No but the main purpose I had was to learn who was moving around before Nash became Warlord. Now we have an idea who.

[Alma] This was all about the same time, no?

[Dominik] The necklace was stolen before the corination, before Nash was appointed.

[Alma] So you think Tatiane Corriveau was involved in that?

[Alma] It was her who sold it.

[Dominik] Strauch was involved with the necklace. This locket may or may not be tied in with that but its the best lead we have.

[Dominik] Using Vescan.

[Alma] Why would she have her own necklace stolen?

[Dominik] Vescan has ties to the Hush so someone not knowing the ins and out would just assume they are all one big happy family

  • Dominik shrugs

[Dominik] Easiest way to make you look inocent?

[Alma] Perhaps.

[Alma] And then Vescan later makes his move, wiping out the Corriveaus and making it look like it's about the necklace?

[Dominik] Or there is a power behind them and Vescan got tired of his mother being between the two and traded up.

[Dominik] I can't help with finding anything out about this foster sister, but I can deal with Vescan.

[Alma] There is also the grandmother to look into... Grandmother Dark, or Underdown

[Alma] Alone?

[Dominik] If I have to.

[Alma] I think it would make more sense to have us along.

[Alma] Ysabeau is a bard, after all.

[Alma] And I can create a Zone of Truth and Discern Lies.

[Dominik] I won't turn down any help offered.

[Alma] I wonder what it is that Mr. Olivier seems to know...

  • Ysabeau is just gazing out the window.

[Alma] Could it have contained the ring of Wishes?

[Alma] Is that how Theodis got it?

[Alma] I should have tried to get something of Mr. Olivier's...

[Alma] I am such a fool.

[Dominik] The ring was Loick Silveira's

[Alma] Ah, for some time then?

[Dominik] I assume so... a family heirloom

[Alma] Surely someone would have noticed something so powerful over half a century if it were in the locket anyhow...

  • Ysabeau turns back to you guys and nods.

[Ysabeau] Only a very plain ring could have fit in the locket, Sister. You've seen how much space there is in there.

[Ysabeau] That's not to say that a ring of wishes couldn't be a simple, unadorned band.

  • Ysabeau shrugs.

[Alma] True, however many magic items are able to change their shape depending on the wearer, perhaps after being taken off of a slender finger it would fit better, for example.

[Ysabeau] Anyway, no sense wondering since Dominik says it was Loick Silveira's.

[Ysabeau] How could he know that if it was a secret in the locket for decades?

[Alma] Perhaps something written in the diaries of Althea Deverara.

[Ysabeau] Dominik is here; you could ask him how he knows.

  • Ysabeau shakes her head and smiles at him. Alma is so strange some times. ;)

[Alma] I mean, other diaries... the Matriarch's were volumes.

[Alma] Perhaps though, that book could contain something since you weren't looking for it.

[Ysabeau] I'm sorry, Sister, you've completely lost me...

[Alma] Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you meant how could Vescan have known about the locket's contents.

[Ysabeau] No, I meant Dom.

  • Alma nods

[Ysabeau] So, I guess we'll go ask Mrs. Underdown-Dark's neighbours for the first name they knew her by.

[Ysabeau] Let's put off confronting Vescan until we've done that, so we are armed with more knowledge.

[Alma] Perhaps you ought to come with us for that anyhow, Dominik?

[Dominik] Sure why not... its not like Ilphere has me doing much these days.

[Ysabeau] If Dom comes then Danyel better not.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] Wouldn't want to look like an army :)

[Ysabeau] We'll attract too much attention and people will be suspicious if we have two obviously competent fighters, a woman who doesn't seem quite like she fits in the Shambles, and me.

[Ysabeau] Void, that'll be bad enough.

[Alma] Someone will also have to speak with Corwen Storms.

[Alma] That should be considerably less risky :)

[Ysabeau] Who is Corwen Storms, again?

[Dominik] I'm sure you can disguise us enough to pass without much suspicion

[Ysabeau] It's not just the clothes, it's your bearing, too.

[Alma] Head of the Castalia

[Ysabeau] Yes, I know that but why do we need - oh, Loch du Champe's writings,

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] Sorry, I was thinking broadly...

[Ysabeau] It's also how you speak. And how I speak, now.

  • Ysabeau looks at Dominik.

[Alma] I imagine I just sound like I'm from the country?

[Ysabeau] You sound upper class. ^-^

[Dominik] Bah I can curse and swear and glare like the best of them

[Ysabeau] People only do that when they're drunk in the Shambles, Dom.

  • Ysabeau laughs.
  • Alma considers her spell options.

[Ysabeau] No one *wants* to attract attention when they're sober. Someone is sure to take offense.

[Dominik] so I spill some beer on me and nobody will know the differnce.

[Ysabeau] As long as you don't rouse the bravos with your glares.

  • Alma frowns at that idea.

[Ysabeau] Neither Sister nor I would want to see you overwhelmed by a swarm of angry men.

[Ysabeau] And once you're down, their attention will surely be drawn to us. I really don't think Sister wants to experience that.

[Alma] I'll just poof us away!

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] When are we next all free to do this thing?

[Alma] Perhaps we ought to take Danyel with us to see Vescan though...

  • Alma muses.

[Dominik] well figure out a time soon enough

[Ysabeau] Vescan's a different story.

  • Ysabeau agrees.

[Ysabeau] Attention is probably good, with Vescan.

[Alma] Well, we have much to think about.

  • Alma will drop you both off where you ask.

Dominik and Ysabeau

  • Ysabeau alights gracefully from Alma's carriage and smiles for Dominik.
  • Dominik will step out

[Ysabeau] How do you think it went?

[Dominik] I agree with Sister Alma that more time would have been good, but what time we did have was well put to use.

[Ysabeau] I hope my thing didn't detract from time you and Sister Alma could have used for your questions.

[Ysabeau] I didn't think it would distract him quite as much as it did. I'm sorry.

[Dominik] I still believe much of what is going on is all interconnected... at least in some minor way

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I wish I knew who was pulling the strings on all of us.

[Dominik] I promised you I would tell you everything that I've been up to with Maze after we met him, and so I shall... but we should go someplace private.

[Ysabeau] Very well. My house? Your rooms at the palace? A private room in a tavern? Study room at the Society?

[Dominik] We'll find a nice room at a tavern

  • Dominik will track down a decent private room.

[Dominik] I hope this place will do... at least we can have some wine while we talk.

[Ysabeau] It's fine. :)

  • Ysabeau settles herself and her skirts

[Dominik] Oh how you distract me so.

  • Dominik takes a seat

[Ysabeau] What? I didn't even show my ankles.

[Dominik] Just the thought of.. never mind.

[Ysabeau] Ah, you are an 18-year-old.

[Ysabeau] Everything sets you off. ;)

[Dominik] A few weeks after the coronation I was approached by Fredericia Hartzell.

[Ysabeau] All right.

[Dominik] oh I am so sorry, I didn't realize I was in the presence of my distinguished elders

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Dominik] continuing on...

[Dominik] We knew eachother from the training yard. She asked me if I would be interested in using my skills for some descrete work.

[Dominik] At the time watching Ilphere was quite a dull job so I said sure.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I know how much you pine for excitement, as you call it. :)

[Dominik] shortly after that I was approached by Theo Maez and asked to look into something regarding Phedre's daughter going missing.

[Ysabeau] Ooh... is that how you recognized her at the party?

[Dominik] Yes

[Dominik] I didn't make much progress in my investigation.. I'm not much of a information sniffer.

[Dominik] I tried to get chatty with Altheo since he knew someone connected with the daughter. I enjoyed chatting with Altheo and his establishment more than I cared for investigating.

  • Ysabeau nods, drawing pictures with a drop of wine on the table.

[Dominik] and then he went missing... I like the man, I hope he is still alive.

[Ysabeau] Me too.

[Dominik] A little bit after that was when we went to investigate Desa's murder. I recongnized Theo then but I didn't know how much my work efforts had gotten me in to the organization to ask questions.

[Dominik] My thinking at the time was I should try and keep with them hoping that I may be able to dig up something on Dessa from the inside, if they were involved in her death.

  • Ysabeau glances at you and nods.

[Dominik] That didn't really work out well... Theo never contacted me for a while then when she finally did, I was to help be her muscle

[Dominik] We intimidated Loick Silveira to give up his ring, although I didn't know what it was at the time. He had implied he tried to use it to help him get the throne, but it didn't work.

[Dominik] I never helped Theo with another task after that... we found her corpse a little while later.

[Ysabeau] Oh...

[Dominik] I was a little steamed about it and helped someone track down who they htought was responsible, Strauch... but you know how that story goes.

  • Ysabeau thinks.

[Ysabeau] That's when you told me about the dogs?

[Dominik] No... I thought Strauch wasn't involved but he ended up being and now hes dead.

[Ysabeau] But when you helped that person track Strauch down, that's when you told me about the dogs.

[Ysabeau] You thought he'd bitten you as your brother had.

[Ysabeau] I'm just trying to sort it all out.

[Ysabeau] Anyway, go on.

  • Dominik nods

[Dominik] I skipped an important detail... before Theo was killed, the night of, or the day before, I'm not sure, I was taken to meet Maze Olivier.

[Ysabeau] I suppose he was curious to meet his newest recruit from the noble ranks.

[Dominik] He wanted me to stay with Ilphere and keep an eye on her and Menard after they were married.

[Ysabeau] Which you're doing.

[Ysabeau] Do you have any idea why he'd ask you to do that?

[Ysabeau] They're not implicated in anything, are they?

[Dominik] Protect the royal family is one possible reason.

[Ysabeau] They have guards for that.

[Dominik] I suspect he knows of Ilphere's connection to the Order of the Black Down and the risk they could pose to Martin.. although not from me, as I have never discussed it much.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] That's a little more believable.

[Dominik] At the time I wanted to stick with Ilphere anyway so it was just as convenient for me to agree

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Dominik] as I was saying Fredericia was my contact after that.

[Dominik] After the wedding I was asked to help her with a job, shaking down a loan shark who was causing problems.

[Dominik] There was myself, Fredericia, and a mage who was called Ruby.

  • Dominik pauses and takes a drink
  • Ysabeau erases what she was drawing and starts tracing another picture with her finger.

[Dominik] I had a liason with Ruby afterward. I had been maintaining a certain bravaudo when around those associated with Maze... I was afraid acting differently would raise suspcicion.

[Dominik] I was also mad at alot of things at the time.

  • Ysabeau glances up at you.

[Ysabeau] Including me?

[Dominik] Including you

[Ysabeau] What had I done, exactly?

[Dominik] I was mad at my mother over the whole Laurine and secret of my father.

[Ysabeau] In which I played what integral role, exactly?

[Dominik] I wanted to talk to you, at least say what I was feeling, and why I was so angry, but you had already made up your mind about the whole situation, or at least it seemed to me.

  • Ysabeau sighs.

[Ysabeau] Dominik, you should have talked to me, even if my mind was made up. Minds can be made to change, in the face of overwhelming evidence.

[Dominik] It just flared things up in me, but I didn't want to lash out at you, so I left angry.

[Ysabeau] Which you should not have done.

[Dominik] I know... I should have yelled it out right then and there.

[Dominik] And then you could have left me then and I wouldn't have done this to you.

[Ysabeau] No.

[Ysabeau] Yelling seldom helps.

[Ysabeau] It would have been a heated discussion, but that kind of thing needs to happen, sometimes, to make sure both partners in the relationship understand each other.

[Ysabeau] Communication is *so* important, Dominik.

[Ysabeau] But you didn't really have any way of knowing that. I understand.

[Dominik] Unlike you I'm not an expert at communication... words are powerful in your hands... in mine they jsut make a mess

  • Ysabeau rests her forehead on the palm of her hand, turned slightly away from you; she is trying to think, plainly.

[Dominik] I am trying to be better.

[Ysabeau] I know Dominik. I know.

  • Ysabeau says, sounding pained.

[Ysabeau] Or you wouldn't be doing this today.

  • Ysabeau stands up and starts pacing.

[Ysabeau] Did you pay for a Remove Disease afterwards?

[Ysabeau] Sometimes people look fine but they're not.

  • Ysabeau sounds like she may be speaking from experience. ;)
  • Dominik shakes his head no

[Dominik] She works at the Jewel Box... I just assumed she would be ok

[Ysabeau] ...

[Dominik] I don't exactly have a lot of experience with these sorts of things

[Ysabeau] I'd say she is more *likely* to be okay, but that's about as far as that goes.

[Ysabeau] Oh, Dominik...

  • Ysabeau stops her pacing.

[Dominik] I just feel more of an ass for hurting you in ways I didn't even think of

[Ysabeau] If she had anything, I don't have it anymore, anyway.

[Ysabeau] I went to the Temple the morning of the day you came to find me, after Dryden.

[Ysabeau] He looked fine, too, but...

  • Ysabeau looks at you and shrugs helplessly.
  • Dominik nods
  • Ysabeau rubs her temples.
  • Dominik fills his cup

[Ysabeau] Dominik, I forgive you. I forgive you for joining the Hush. Your heart was in the right place.

[Ysabeau] I forgive you for sleeping with Ruby.

[Ysabeau] You're eighteen years old.

[Ysabeau] And rather less worldly than I am.

[Ysabeau] What I can't forgive you for...

[Ysabeau] Is planting the seeds of doubt in my heart.

[Ysabeau] For the rest of my life with you, I'd wonder "Is he holding something back from me?"

[Ysabeau] "Is he sleeping with someone else on the sly? Will he leave me if she can give him a child and I can't?"

[Ysabeau] And that would kill us both, slowly.

[Ysabeau] I don't want to twist what we have with my own insecurities.

[Dominik] First of all... I may not be as worldly as you but I'm no fool either.

[Dominik] As for holding back from you, that's done with now, but EVERYONE has secrets Ysabeau, not just me. I'm not going to be sleeping around on you on the sly and as for children...

[Dominik] that's a little farther down the path than today.

[Dominik] The only one who is twisting this in you is you. I may make mistakes but I've always accepted you for who you are.

[Dominik] If you wan't to walk away, then do it.

  • Ysabeau nods, after a long pause.

[Ysabeau] There are so many different kinds of love.

  • Dominik 's body language is filled with tension

[Ysabeau] I'm sorry, Dominik.

  • Ysabeau walks close and kisses you on the forehead.
  • Dominik pulls back from you

[Dominik] Don't

[Ysabeau] My home is always open to you, if you need to get away from things, or you need to talk.

[Dominik] [w] Please go

[Ysabeau] I do love you, Dominik. But somewhere along the way, it changed.

  • Ysabeau quietly leaves.
  • Dominik sits and watches her go, counting to twenty
  • Ysabeau pays for the wine and leaves some extra money to cover whatever else Dominik needs to drown his sorrow in.
  • Dominik then tosses the table, cups, bottles and all as hard as he can into the wall of the private room

Seth and Cornelia

[DiablotinNarrator] Seth, you wanted to speak with Nash?

[Seth] (yes, in her office. the idea is to attempt to get her to give me something so I don't have to steal it. Oh, and ask her questions)

[DiablotinNarrator] (ok then!)

  • Cornelia receives you in her office at the palace.

[Seth] Good afternoon, Warlord. Thank you for meeting me with such expediency.

[Cornelia] Not at all. How are you doing, M. Argo?

[Seth] Quite well, thank you.

  • Seth looks over the office to see if there is something he could either request of her or take without her caring.

[Seth] And yourself?

[Seth] (Search?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (sure, you can make a roll)

[Seth] (only 29, sigh ... ;)

[DiablotinNarrator] (hahah)

[DiablotinNarrator] (Something like a piece of paper, a book?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (there are probably some books you could ask to borrow)

[Seth] (yeah, ok)

[Cornelia] I'm fine, thank you for asking.

[Cornelia] So, what brings you here today?

[Seth] I have come today to request information from you regarding the Arch.

[Seth] I have been very forthcoming with you to date, and I am hoping for the same courtesy.

  • Cornelia nods.

[Cornelia] I'll do what I can.

[Seth] I want to understand by whom (or what) and for what reason the Arch was created. Moreover, I wish to know more about what happens when one entered the Arch while it was still active.

[Cornelia] By whom it was created... I don't know, other than the Universe. I think its creation is beyond even the gods.

[Seth] Was it always here, at this place?

[Cornelia] No.

[Cornelia] It came into being at some point after the creation of this world, at least.

  • Seth nods.

[Seth] Given that I can travel into the Arch and enter the ... realm within, it obviously still retains power in some sense.

  • Cornelia nods.

[Cornelia] Residual power, perhaps.

[Seth] Perhaps. But are we to think then that the trapping of entities within the Arch was not originally intended?

[Cornelia] Intended as its purpose?

[Cornelia] Or intended by those who did it?

[Seth] The former.

[Cornelia] No, that was not its purpose.

[Seth] What was its purpose, then, as far as you can discern?

[Cornelia] It enables... communion. Communication.

[Seth] With what?

[Seth] And how?

[Cornelia] You know of its ability to grant visions.

[Cornelia] The past, the future...

[Seth] Yes, of the past and of the future. So ... this, you think is unrelated to the entity or entities trapped within?

  • Cornelia considers.

[Cornelia] Not unrelated, no.

[Cornelia] But not... dependant upon.

  • Seth nods.

[Cornelia] The same ability, the same power, that draws humans to it, also draws the gods.

[Seth] You said once that you thought my powers might derive in some way from the fragments of the souls of dead emperors? Do you still think so?

[Cornelia] I don't know. It was speculation, but I see no reason to disbelieve it at present.

[Seth] Communion with the Arch is very ... complex, and does not seem to be freely accessible as it once was.

  • Cornelia nods.

[Cornelia] It is ... damaged, in some way, perhaps.

[Cornelia] Certainly it is not as it was when it was whole, but neither is it as it was when it was separated.

[Seth] Explain.

[Cornelia] When it was whole, it was a conduit - a channel between deities and man, between worlds themselves.

[Cornelia] When it was broken, it was no longer a passage between worlds, but it was still a vehicle for ... visions, if you like. For communication, I would prefer to say.

[Cornelia] Now it is... neither of those things, except in a very limited fashion.

[Seth] Indeed - although the only visions we have records of are the few in the Codex Lunaticium, and those are ... prone to misinterpretation due to the mental states of their authors, shall we say.

[Cornelia] Those are... residual, perhaps.

[Cornelia] Minds touched too roughly.

[Cornelia] The visions within the Arch itself would have been far clearer, at the time.

[Seth] Yes, I understand.

[Seth] Did I mention to you that I know of one additional person who has recently visited the under-Arch and had a vision there?

[Cornelia] No, who is that?

[Seth] I do not wish this person to receive an unpleasant visitation.

[Cornelia] Very well.

[Cornelia] Who is it?

[Seth] Sanadhil Orecalo.

  • Cornelia makes a note of that.

[Cornelia] There is one person who might be able to speak of what it was like to pass through the Arch when it was separated...

[Seth] Oh?

  • Cornelia says, considering her words.

[Cornelia] Raimar Langevin.

[Seth] O_o

[Seth] I had assumed he was long dead.

[Cornelia] I had assumed so as well, before I took this position.

[Seth] So ... he lives, imprisoned in the Palace still?

[Cornelia] He's the last resident - perhaps the last ever - of the tower once reserved for those who were broken by the test.

[Seth] Who else knows this?

[Cornelia] There are guards who care for him, although even then I'm not certain they realize who he is. Other than that...

  • Cornelia shrugs.

[Cornelia] Presumably the previous Warlords have known, and probably other officials as well.

[Seth] How would I gain access to speak to him? Could you ... I don't know, write a letter bearing your seal, authorizing me to do so?

[Cornelia] I could probably arrange that, yes.

  • Cornelia will prepare you such a letter.

[Seth] I would be greatly obliged.

[Seth] As always, Warlord, I am greatly appreciative of your time and effort on my behalf.

[Cornelia] As I appreciate you, Seth.

  • Seth folds up the letter and puts it someplace safe.

[Seth] Good day.

[Cornelia] Farewell.

Ilphere and Lystain

[DiablotinNarrator] Ilphere, following your great-grandmother's death, your family (and indeed the extended Imperial family) is in mourning.

[DiablotinNarrator] The funeral is a more elaborate affair than you might have expected, with people who a year ago would have ignored your family now coming to pay their respects.

[Ilphere] (does Leonien Kizer come? :p)

[DiablotinNarrator] (but of course!)

  • Ilphere waits for what seems like an opportune moment to ask her father about the picture.
  • Lystain is busy after the funeral going through his grandmother's things (apart from those you already, uh, went through yourself ;)
  • Lystain can be found at your family's home.
  • Ilphere will help out as much as she can...
  • Lystain is sorting through bunches of old letters at the moment.
  • Ilphere will take a break to speak with him... seems as good a time as any...!

[Lystain] Oh, hello dear.

  • Lystain sets aside one lavender-scented bundle.

[Ilphere] Hello Father... How are you making out...?

[Lystain] Well, there are a lot of papers - with such a long life, I suppose it stands to reason.

  • Ilphere nods sadly.

[Lystain] But I think I'm making progress.

[Ilphere] I... I found something I wanted to show you.

[Lystain] Oh?

  • Ilphere holds out the yellowed old sketch.
  • Lystain takes it carefully, with interest.

[Lystain] Oh... it's lovely. Where did you find it, in her room?

[Ilphere] It was in the back of her wardrobe...

  • Ilphere nods.

[Ilphere] Is that my grandfather, do you think...?

  • Lystain flips it over to look at the back.

[Lystain] Yes... the oldest one, I suppose.

[Ilphere] And the others...?

[Lystain] Well... they must be the two that died. She would barely speak of them...

[Lystain] This must have been not long before they died, I would think.

[Lystain] I know that my father barely remembered them himself, so he couldn't have been much older than this.

[Ilphere] Ah, I see... :/

[Ilphere] How... how did they die?

[Lystain] Well, as I understand, they had taken my father to Alarches with them, leaving the two younger children at home with their nurse. While they were away, the younger ones fell suddenly ill, and died within a day.

[Ilphere] How awful... :(

  • Lystain nods.

[Lystain] She never had any more children - I always assumed because it was too painful to imagine losing them.

[Ilphere] It must have been a terrible sickness, if they couldn't have them healed magically in time. :(

[Lystain] I gather the nurse didn't think it serious - a mild fever, perhaps. She put them to bed...

  • Lystain shrugs.

[Lystain] We could look for anything further about them, perhaps, if you're curious. Maybe in her letters, or the household records somewhere...

  • Ilphere nods again...

[Ilphere] I would like that...

[Lystain] I'm not back nearly that far in the letters yet - as much as they're organized at all - but the record books should be easy enough, they just go year by year.

[Ilphere] If Grandfather is the oldest one, this would be... about 2186?

[Lystain] Uh.. yes, that would be about right.

  • Lystain will go with you to the attic to look through dusty old household accounts.

[DiablotinNarrator] The volumes were much more elaborate when your family was actually rich... thick leather-bound books, organized by year.

  • Ilphere searches through, looking for the relevant year(s).

[DiablotinNarrator] You find the early 2180s easily enough.

[Lystain] So the little girl, Jessamine - she would have been born about 2183 or '84, by the looks of things, and the baby in 2185 or '86...

  • Ilphere nods...

[Lystain] I can look through some, you check the others?

[Ilphere] That sounds like an excellent plan...!

[Ilphere] I will try 2185, perhaps...

[Lystain] All right, I'll check the earlier ones.

  • Ilphere picks out the 2185 volume and begins carefully turning the pages...

[DiablotinNarrator] You leaf through the old parchment pages, looking for anything of interest... The sunlight slants through the small attic windows, giving you enough light to read the faded ink.

[DiablotinNarrator] In late 2185, you find mention of the birth of Jeremez.

[Ilphere] (what does it say?)

[DiablotinNarrator] Well, it's household records, so really it probably says stuff about the purchase of baby-related things.

[DiablotinNarrator] Engaging a new nurse, etc.

[DiablotinNarrator] You keep looking forward after 2185, I suppose?

[Ilphere] (yes)

[DiablotinNarrator] 2186 brings more purchases of things related to children, amidst the general accounts - clothing, toys, etc.

[Ilphere] (nothing that jumps out as unusual or interesting... :/)

[DiablotinNarrator] After early 2187, those sorts of records just stop. Payments for Master Jacobin's stuff continue, of course, but nothing for a girl, or a littler kid.

[Ilphere] This must have been when they died...

[Ilphere] :/

  • Lystain looks over.

[Ilphere] I wonder why they didn't take the little ones to Alarches...

[Lystain] I don't know...

  • Lystain comes to read over your shoulder.

[Lystain] Hm, that's odd.

[Ilphere] What is...?

[Lystain] I saw one of these payments in the book I was looking at as well - I don't know what they mean.

[Ilphere] Which one...?

  • Lystain points to a line that just says "Payment N.I. ---" and no record of a specific sum of money.
  • Ilphere frowns, looking at the list of figures...

[Ilphere] N.I. ...?

  • Ilphere tries to think of a person those initials could fit.

[DiablotinNarrator] (city lore?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (K: nob too)

[Ilphere] (24 on nob... do I roll both or just one?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (roll both)

[Ilphere] (29 CL)

[DiablotinNarrator] (ok, sec)

[Ilphere] Who could that be...? Or what...?

  • Ilphere muses, deep in thought.

[DiablotinNarrator] (Nouel Izaguirre, maybe? You don't know much about him, but you would know the name at least.)

  • Ilphere looks to her father - does it seem like he has any clue...?
  • Lystain seems puzzled.

[Ilphere] The name Nouel Izaguirre comes to mind... I don't know anything much about him, but the initials and timing would fit...

[Lystain] Wasn't he ... some sort of criminal?

[Ilphere] Was he...? Why would they be giving him money, then...? I can't imagine...

[Lystain] Well... maybe they had incurred a, uh, debt?

  • Ilphere looks for more N.I. payments in later pages...
  • Lystain looks a bit ashamed at that.

[DiablotinNarrator] Ilphere, you don't see any more after that one in early 2187.

[Ilphere] They seem to stop... around the same time as Jessamine and Jeremez would have passed away...?

[DiablotinNarrator] In fact, you only find the two - the one your father had found, in 2185, and then the one in 2187.

[Lystain] What could that mean?

[Ilphere] I have absolutely no idea... O_o

[Lystain] It's puzzling.. maybe it's not connected to the children?

[Ilphere] Maybe not... it is an odd coincidence, though.

  • Lystain nods.
  • Ilphere sighs.

[Lystain] Well - if I find anything further as I'm going through the letters, I'll let you know.

[Ilphere] Thank you... I am most curious now.

[Lystain] And I'll read the ones from that period particularly closely.

  • Ilphere nods...
  • Lystain puts a hand on your shoulder.
  • Ilphere looks up at him.

[Lystain] Take a break... you've done so much already.

[Ilphere] I guess I.. just don't know what else to do.

  • Lystain nods.

[Lystain] All right. Thank you.

  • Lystain descends from the attic to go back to the correspondence.

Seth and Alma

  • Seth arranges to meet Sister Alma at the Society
  • Alma is pleased!

[Seth] Good evening, Sister Alma. Thank you for meeting me on such short notice.

[Seth] I believe you will be very pleased with what I have for you.

[Alma] Oh?

[Alma] :)

  • Seth pulls out the sealed letter

[Seth] This letter was written by the Warlord in my presence, and then given directly to me.

[Seth] I suppose it is now fully in my possession, as I will be required to use it at a later date. But certainly it was in Nash's possession before that.

[Alma] May I?

[Seth] Certainly. However, it is imperative that the letter remain sealed for now.

[Seth] I trust that does not interfere with your power.

[Alma] No, I don't imagine, unless there's an outer sheath that wasn't the Warlord's

[Seth] No, nothing of the sort.

  • Alma ponders her questions.
  • Alma casts Guidance and Owl's Wisdom
  • Alma takes the envelope and closes her eyes for a moment.

[Alma] It's all quite mundane...

[Alma] Though that might be puzzling in itself.

[Seth] Oh? Please explain.

[Alma] She's hiding her true nature for some reason or other... like Phedre and Earric... but everything else fits.

[Alma] A human woman, 65, of House Cat...

[Alma] She got the paper from a supply closet at some point, I assume.

[Seth] I suppose so.

[Alma] I was expecting her age to be ... off, if nothing else.

[Seth] Why?

[Alma] I suppose I thought if she was guardian of the Arch that it might have prolonged her life somehow.

[Seth] Do we have any reason to think that to be the case?

[Alma] No, I ... well I thought I remembered something but I guess it was my imagination.

[Alma] It's hard to sort out the dream plane sometimes.

[Seth] But you think that she is concealing her race magically?

[Alma] I don't have any indication of that, no.

[Alma] Not unless she IS older than 65.

[Seth] So, it confirms that despite her oddness, the Warlord is an ordinary middle-aged human woman.

[Alma] Yes, though it's possible a spell such as Misdirection might be capable of fooling my ability. I don't have much practice with it to know.

  • Seth nods.

[Alma] I suppose I could experiment sometime.

[Seth] I suppose. Although in the case of the Warlord, it seems most parsimonious to simply assume she has no overwhelming reason to conceal her race magically.

[Seth] It is not frequently a question one is called upon to discern magically, I imagine.

[Alma] No, though one assumes she is aware of my involvement in all of this, it is still a bit of a stretch.

  • Seth takes back the letter and stores it safely away.

[Alma] Perhaps I ought to acquire a scroll and see if it works.

[Seth] If you wish.

[Alma] Well, there's always True Seeing :)

  • Alma looks not entirely satisfied by the whole thing.

[Seth] Honestly, Sister, although others seem to have a number of doubts, I for one think Nash is generally as honest as her position permits.

[Alma] The issue with the Hush, and Brother Phineas, are not encouraging on that account...

[Alma] But I should perhaps not be so suspicious.

  • Alma reaches up to hold the silver wheel lying against her chest.

[Seth] Simply because Strauch's loyalty was to Nash does not mean that Nash knew or approved of all of his activities.

[Alma] No, of course not.

[Alma] I should be glad she's not some horned demon from the Abyss, but when there are ways to hide things, it's almost like the opposite of an answer.

[Alma] But if I think like that, there are never any real answers :)

[Seth] Yes, one's imagination can be let wild ...

[Alma] We're taught of a similar dilemma, actually... how do you find out if someone has been charmed simply by asking them?

[Seth] Hmm, very interesting - is there an answer?

[Alma] Not a good one.

[Seth] Fair enough.

[Alma] They're certainly not going to believe they've been charmed :)

[Alma] Anyhow... thank you for bringing this to me.

[Seth] You're quite welcome, Sister.

[Alma] Well, I had best be going.

  • Alma takes her leave

Guillame and Thea

[DiablotinNarrator] Guillame, you are surprised when Thea pays you a visit at home.

[Guillame] . o O (Convenient!)

[Guillame] Welcome to my family's house, Thea!

  • Thea looks a little thinner, maybe, than the last time you saw her, but she's clean at least.
  • Thea looks around at the impressive surroundings.

[Thea] Yes.

[Thea] I wanted to let you know that we're all out from our 'questioning', and everyone is all right.

[Thea] Since there won't be any meetings anytime soon...

[Guillame] I'm relieved - thank you for coming to tell me.

  • Guillame shows Thea to a study, or somewhere else private
  • Thea follows you.

[Guillame] I actually wanted to come and speak with you... I have sort of an odd question.

[Thea] ...oh?

[Guillame] Last time I saw Phelix, he had an odd smell... like smoke. I wanted to ask you if that was usual for him... if he ever smelt that way before, or since?

[Thea] ... you think I spend a lot of time smelling Phelix?

  • Thea says, defensively.

[Guillame] I could smell it just from standing near him to talk to him... I just thought you'd have spoken to him on other occasions than I had.

[Guillame] I'm sorry if I caused offense...?

  • Thea softens a little.

[Thea] He smokes cigars - he does smell of them, I suppose.

[Guillame] To be honest, I put it down to the granary fire initially.

[Thea] Well, that could be too...

[Thea] Why do you ask?

[Guillame] We know there's somebody messing with our meetings, and with our reputation. I'm starting to think that it's Phelix.

[Guillame] Some of the reasons are sort of... outlandish, so you might have to bear with me.

  • Thea listens.
  • Guillame explains about Kavreshar, what we know of Hell Wyrms, and sort of vaguely mentions Raina's message without going into the "hereditary rat-seer" thing

[Guillame] I don't want to accuse or move against him without being certain, of course.

[Thea] ...

[Thea] You're suggestion that Phelix is .. some sort of dragon-thing?

[Guillame] It sounds ridiculous but... somebody is.

  • Thea sounds incredulous.

[Guillame] And he fits better than anyone else I've seen.

[Thea] I... I don't even know what to say to that!

[Thea] It's so ridiculous :o

  • Guillame looks a little glum

[Guillame] Yeah, it is.

[Guillame] I have a colleague who could tell us for certain. A member of the clergy.

[Guillame] She'd just have to see him.

[Thea] I know what it is - you're jealous!

[Guillame] ... what?

[Guillame] Of what?

[Thea] You have some sort of issue... maybe Aden calls out my name in bed, I don't know - and you're trying to sabotage my relationship.

[Guillame] Oh!

[Guillame] Oh, Thea - I'm so sorry.

[Guillame] I didn't know.

[Thea] I don't have to listen to this.

[Guillame] Look, you're right. It's patently ridiculous.

[Guillame] I didn't know that you knew him...

[Guillame] ... well.

[Thea] Yes, well.

[Guillame] If you trust him, that's enough for me.

[Thea] ...all right.

  • Thea still sounds dubious, but less angry anyway.

[Thea] I *do* trust him, for what it's worth. And I'm leaving now. I don't know when I'll see you again - I'm looking into what we might be able to do without bringing down the army on our heads.

[Guillame] Wow, I must sound like a paranoid lunatic.

[Guillame] Thanks, Thea.

[Thea] Good day, M. Rionet, I'll show myself out.

[Guillame] Let me know if you find something we can do.

[Guillame] Good day.

  • Thea nods, and leaves.
  • Guillame waits until she's left, and immediately goes to try and find Alma
  • Guillame goes to Alma's church

Guillame and Alma

  • Alma is there, for the sake of convenience!
  • Alma is distributing some food she has recently created.

[Guillame] Good day, Sister... do you have... some time?

[Alma] Yes, I will shortly, M. Rionet :)

[Alma] (You look a little anxious? SM 34)

[Guillame] (What do I roll to hide that? Bluff?)

[Alma] (If you're actively hiding, don't bother. I'm just rolling reflexively.)

  • Alma finishes distributing the foods first.

[Guillame] (Well, I'm trying to remain composed, but I can't beat 34 ;) )

[Alma] So, how can I help you?

[Alma] Did you learn anything new?

[Guillame] Yes... I learned that the man I spoke of usually smells smoky - he smokes cigars. However, I also tipped my hand to someone who may well tell him about our conversation.

[Alma] Our conversation at the Society?

[Guillame] No, my conversation with her... I was quite forthright, as I didn't realise that she was close with him.

[Alma] Oh ... :/

[Alma] Well, if he smokes cigars, and could have smelled of the fire that day, are you still concerned that he might be an outsider in disguise?

[Guillame] She was offended at the insinuation, so I tried to smooth it over, but I can't guarantee that she won't mention it to him anyway, and I didn't want to try and swear her to secrecy over it, as then she wouldn't believe that I thought it nothing.

[Guillame] More so than if he'd only smelled on that day... it seems to me that if the flaw in your disguise is a smell of smoke, that smoking cigars would be an excellent cover.

[Alma] That is true. Do you know how long ago he took up smoking though?

[Guillame] Not at all, sorry.

  • Alma thinks.

[Alma] Would you even know where to find him on short notice?

[Guillame] I suppose not. His name is Phelix Valtieras.

  • Guillame tries to remember anything he knows about Phelix

[DiablotinNarrator] (very little - you think it's been suggested/mentioned that he has military training or experience of some sort? beyond that, you don't really know much abotu his background, I don't think)

[Alma] If she does tell him... and he is Kavreshar, he could either flee from that form, which will answer our question; he could come after you, which would be dangerous, but also answer our question; or he could do nothing, at which point we could try anyway.

[Guillame] (K. Local? City lore?)

[Guillame] So... we should keep an ear out for his disappearance, and otherwise engineer a way to encounter him.

[Alma] Yes, we could try.

[Alma] A possession of his might be an easy way as well. For that matter, the butt of a cigar...

[Alma] But I have prepared ointments for True Seeing, so I can cast it whenever needed.

[Guillame] I will contact you and the others if I am attacked by a dragon ;)

[Alma] I hope it doesn't come to that D:

[Alma] .oO( And technically it's a wyrm. )

Solos

Ysabeau and Murienne

  • Ysabeau looks a little worn down when she comes home one evening.
  • Murienne is setting the table for supper.
  • Ysabeau drops her satchel before mustering herself enough to meet Rye's enthusiastic greeting.

[Ysabeau] Hi, boy. Good dog.

[Ysabeau] Hi Murienne.

[Ysabeau] How was your day, sweetie?

[Murienne] Hello! I got some lamb at the market, I hope it's all right.

  • Ysabeau goes over to the table to help her set it.

[Ysabeau] Lamb, really?

[Ysabeau] I guess it is spring.

  • Murienne nods.

[Murienne] It was the first time I'd seen it, so I had to get some, even though it was expensive...

[Ysabeau] I'm glad some sheep are having babies. Hopefully it will bode well for this year's growing season.

  • Murienne nods.

[Ysabeau] It's fine, Murienne. We can afford to treat ourselves once in a while.

  • Murienne smiles at that.
  • Ysabeau flashes her a small smile.

[Ysabeau] It sure smells good.

[Ysabeau] Do you need a hand with anything?

[Murienne] Other than the table? No, everything should be ready soon.

[Ysabeau] Thanks...

[Ysabeau] I needed this, after the day I've had.

[Murienne] Oh, what happened?

  • Ysabeau takes a deep breath.

[Ysabeau] Dominik had some things to tell me...

[Ysabeau] Some things I couldn't get over.

[Murienne] Like what?

[Ysabeau] Well, I could tell he hasn't been quite straight with me for months.

[Ysabeau] He often deflected questions I asked, for example.

[Ysabeau] He came clean today.

  • Murienne listens.

[Ysabeau] He joined the Hush months ago... not long after Dessa died, I guess.

[Ysabeau] He says it was in part because he thought he could find something out about why she was killed.

[Ysabeau] Which is sweet, in a way, I suppose.

[Ysabeau] So he's been keeping his activities with them from me, which hurt. Maybe it shouldn't, but it did.

  • Murienne nods.

[Ysabeau] Then earlier this year... just after Ilphere's wedding, he was doing something with the Hush and a woman named Ruby.

[Ysabeau] He slept with her.

[Ysabeau] He admitted that in part it was because he was mad at me.

[Ysabeau] And really, who am I to hold that against him?

[Ysabeau] I've slept with half the city.

[Murienne] :/

[Ysabeau] I don't know, Murienne...

[Ysabeau] I'm all confused.

[Ysabeau] I forgave him for that stuff.

[Ysabeau] What really upset me is that he hasn't been open and honest with me about it...

[Ysabeau] I don't know.

[Murienne] So you didn't really forgive him.

[Murienne] I mean, not that you should have - that was awful of him.

[Ysabeau] Not for that part, no.

  • Ysabeau ducks her head.

[Ysabeau] When we were first getting to know each other, that's what he admired about me... that I was open and honest with him.

[Ysabeau] Stupid me, I just assumed that he'd be the same in return.

[Ysabeau] I feel like that was the foundation of our relationship... so when he told me this...

  • Ysabeau shakes her head, eyes tearing up.
  • Murienne comes over to hug you.
  • Ysabeau hugs her back.

[Ysabeau] Thanks, sweetie.

  • Ysabeau whispers.

[Ysabeau] I don't think I could ever trust him again.

[Ysabeau] I told him so.

[Murienne] That's understandable.

[Ysabeau] I feel so guilty, though.

[Ysabeau] Like I gave up on him.

[Murienne] And why should you feel guilty?

[Ysabeau] I did, I guess.

[Ysabeau] Because in a way I guess I've betrayed his trust too. By giving up on him.

[Ysabeau] I'm so worried that this will just make him... turn inwards even more.

[Murienne] Well, it's not your job to take care of him.

[Murienne] He's a grown-up too, and maybe this will make him recognize that he was being a jerk.

[Ysabeau] I know. But I kind of took him under my wing.

[Ysabeau] I guess I hoped I could do for someone what Merrow and Altheo did for me.

[Ysabeau] I wanted to be able to give back some of that.

[Ysabeau] I failed.

[Murienne] No, he failed you.

  • Ysabeau dashes tears away from her eyes.

[Ysabeau] We should get the food before it burns.

[Murienne] Oh, right!

  • Murienne hurries to take it off the fire.
  • Ysabeau tries to smile and gets up to help Murienne with that.

[Ysabeau] This looks really wonderful, Murienne.

  • Ysabeau says through sniffles.
  • Ysabeau helps serve the food up, etc.

[Murienne] Thanks...

  • Ysabeau smiles wanly.

[Ysabeau] I'm going to feel responsible for that boy for the rest of my life.

[Murienne] I hope not!

[Murienne] He doesn't deserve it.

[Ysabeau] Oh Murienne... how can you say that?

[Ysabeau] I wasn't so very different from him, just a few years ago.

[Ysabeau] I still love him.

[Murienne] Except that you weren't a jerk to people who cared about you :p

[Ysabeau] I was, sometimes.

  • Murienne shakes her head.

[Ysabeau] I used to tell Merrow to shove it when he tried to send me to Altheo's. Until THAT day, when you found me, I thought I could get by on my own.

[Murienne] Telling someone to shove it isn't the same as betraying their trust.

[Murienne] Cheating on them and lying about.

[Ysabeau] Dominik forgave all my faults.

[Ysabeau] But I couldn't forgive that one of his.

[Ysabeau] He said as much, too.

[Ysabeau] I don't know if he'll ever speak to me again, and that is sad, too.

[Murienne] Ysa - it's all right that you can't forgive him for this.

[Murienne] I'm sure there are things you could have done that he wouldn't forgive either. Just because you didn't do any of them doesn't make him the better person.

[Ysabeau] You might be right. I am just too sad to think straight right now.

[Murienne] Have some dinner... then sleep. You'll feel better in the morning.

  • Ysabeau puts on a brave face and tries to enjoy the supper, which isn't hard really, since lamb is good. ^-^

[Ysabeau] Thanks, Murienne.

[Murienne] I just know you'll find someone better - someone who won't hurt you.

[Ysabeau] I don't know. I think when you love, it opens you up to hurt. It's just part of the whole package.

[Ysabeau] Maybe the best I can hope for is someone who won't hurt me as much.

[Murienne] You deserve the best.

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] I have the best sister.

  • Murienne smiles back.

[Murienne] So do I.

  • Ysabeau grins.

[Ysabeau] I would like to give something back, though...

[Ysabeau] I mean, I'm pretty secure now so I feel like it's something I should do.

[Ysabeau] I've tried with the playing music for the bread lines and bartering that music for donations to the poor.

[Ysabeau] But there must be something more I could do.

[Murienne] Yes, but your relationship isn't a charity.

[Ysabeau] I know.

[Ysabeau] I'm trying to think of something more positive now.

[Ysabeau] I don't have a relationship any more, anyway.

[Murienne] I just meant, you shouldn't feel that dating someone is part of 'giving back'.

[Murienne] Whoever you end up with.

[Ysabeau] You're right, of course.

[Ysabeau] Before the festival days I was toying with the idea of offering my assistance with the People's Patrol... but after the trouble they got into in Pearl City, maybe I shouldn't get involved.

[Ysabeau] Maybe I'm just a coward.

[Ysabeau] I need to do something, though. I'm just not sure what would be an appropriate outlet.

[Murienne] I don't think that's likely.

[Ysabeau] If you hear of anything I might be useful for from your contacts in the Church, would you let me know?

[Murienne] Of course.

[Murienne] (anything else?)

[Ysabeau] (Nah, I think I'm good)

[Ysabeau] (Thanks)


Ysabeau and Ilphere

[Ysabeau] (It'll have been a few days since I dumped Dominik, let's say. We'll be at the Castalia?)

[Ilphere] (sure!)

  • Ysabeau has been scarce lately, or so it might seem to you, anyway. ;)

[Ilphere] (well I have been sorting through my grandmother's things ;_;)

[Ysabeau] (If you even notice such things when there are so many books to read! LOL)

[Ysabeau] (OK, we've both been scarce. ;) )

  • Ilphere is helping out at the library today.
  • Ysabeau happens to be dropping some books off and she spots you.

[Ysabeau] Ilphere!

[Ilphere] Oh... hello!

  • Ysabeau 's eyes widen and she covers her mouth, realizing that was a bit too loud for the library.
  • Ilphere looks up from the book she was examining.
  • Ilphere is wearing a smart black gown with a little veiled black hat.

[Ysabeau] [w] Sorry...

  • Ilphere waves to you...!

[Ilphere] It's okay... not many people around right now in any case.

  • Ysabeau walks up to you, looking concerned.

[Ysabeau] Hi, how have you been?

[Ilphere] Well, busy...

  • Ysabeau asks sympathetically.
  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ilphere] Grand-Mère, you know, she had such a long life... there is a lot to sort through.

[Ysabeau] It was really sad to hear of Lady Cordovera's passing.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ilphere] I have been helping my father...

[Ilphere] She raised him, mostly...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] She meant a great deal to you, though, too.

[Ilphere] We will all miss her very much. :(

  • Ilphere nods.

[Ysabeau] That much was obvious.

[Ysabeau] Yeah. :/

  • Ysabeau will give you a comforting hug.

[Ilphere] I still have a difficult time believing it, some days.

  • Ilphere hugs you back, and sighs.

[Ilphere] How have you been...?

[Ysabeau] Oh dear, that's a loaded question, kind of.

[Ysabeau] How has Dominik been? Have you seen him at all, lately?

[Ilphere] Not really, I suppose... Not much need for a bodyguard to watch me sort through old books and ledgers.

[Ilphere] Why...?

[Ysabeau] Oh...

[Ysabeau] I broke up with him.

[Ilphere] Oh, I'm so sorry... !

[Ilphere] What happened...?

  • Ilphere asks sympathetically.
  • Ysabeau takes a deep breath.

[Ysabeau] Well, he's been in the Hush for months, didn't think to tell me that.

[Ysabeau] That explains how he knew some things, though.

[Ysabeau] And not long after your wedding he decided to sleep with someone both as part of his Hush cover and because he was mad at me.

[Ilphere] Wait... he is in the Hush...?

[Ysabeau] Sort of. He does the odd job for them.

[Ilphere] Yes, I did know that much, I suppose..

[Ysabeau] :/

[Ilphere] So he slept with someone because he was mad at you...?!

[Ysabeau] Also so he wouldn't tip his hand to the Hush, he said.

[Ysabeau] I forgave him for that stuff.

[Ysabeau] I'm not perfect, either.

[Ilphere] Well you are kinder than I would have been...

[Ilphere] What made up your mind, then...?

[Ysabeau] He kept all that from me. For months.

[Ysabeau] That hurt me.

[Ilphere] But he told you eventually...?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] When he had to.

[Ilphere] Ah, I see...

[Ysabeau] When we were first getting to know one another... that's what he admired about me: I was honest and open with him.

[Ilphere] And he could not give you the same...

[Ilphere] I am very sorry things ended up this way for you... :(

  • Ysabeau nods, rubbing her eyes.

[Ysabeau] It's all right.

[Ysabeau] Things were changing, anyway.

[Ilphere] I hope it will not be too difficult for you, seeing him around the society, working for me and so on... :/

[Ysabeau] It won't be. I mean, I still care for him, love him even. But it's not the right kind of love, if you know what I mean.

[Ilphere] I think so...

[Ysabeau] I just hope he will talk to me again, some day.

[Ilphere] He is...

  • Ilphere hesitates...

[Ilphere] Well, that may take some time...

[Ysabeau] I know.

[Ilphere] He is, well... I don't think he is as mature as you in that regard.

  • Ysabeau smiles bittersweetly.

[Ysabeau] Yes, I think that was part of why my feelings for him were changing.

[Ysabeau] I feel responsible for him...!

[Ilphere] I see... I am surprised that didn't bother him as well...!

  • Ysabeau laughs anxiously.

[Ysabeau] I suppose it didn't show, that much. I mean, I didn't even figure it out until the past month.

  • Ilphere nods. :/

[Ysabeau] Anyway... I'm really worried about him.

[Ysabeau] I'm afraid that this will just make him more bitter and angry.

[Ysabeau] I think from his point of view, I've betrayed him.

[Ysabeau] He had told me he loved me, not so long ago. I think that was a difficult thing for him to do.

[Ilphere] Oh dear... :(

[Ilphere] I don't really know what to say, I don't have that much experience with men...

[Ilphere] Maybe it would be better to leave him alone for a little while...? Until he calms down...?

[Ysabeau] I guess so.

[Ysabeau] I hope he heard what I said.

[Ysabeau] :/

[Ysabeau] I mean, really heard it.

[Ilphere] What did you say...?

[Ilphere] Oh...! You don't have to tell me.

  • Ilphere blushes a little.

[Ilphere] If that is too personal, I mean...!

[Ysabeau] That I was sorry. That I still loved him, but in a different way.

[Ysabeau] The truth.

  • Ilphere nods...

[Ilphere] That might be... hard for someone like him to understand, I think.

[Ilphere] :/

[Ysabeau] I know. :(

[Ysabeau] Anyway, if you see him around, I thought you ought to know.

[Ilphere] But listen, Ysa... you *aren't* responsible for him, or his happiness...

[Ysabeau] Murienne said that too.

[Ilphere] I know you are sad but... please don't be too hard on yourself...!

[Ilphere] Well she is a very smart girl...!

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] She is.

[Ysabeau] I think that I did the right thing, for me, without doubt.

  • Ilphere nods.

[Ysabeau] But I don't know if it was the right thing for him.

[Ysabeau] I mean, in the long run it would have been...

[Ilphere] You can't worry about that...

[Ysabeau] I guess not.

[Ilphere] ANyway, he is still quite young... I am sure he will be able to move on...!

[Ysabeau] I hope so. :/

[Ysabeau] Well, he'll probably be more touchy than usual. Now you know why.

[Ilphere] Thank you for the warning...! ;)

[Ysabeau] I feel kind of silly for asking, but will you let me know how he's doing if you see him?

[Ilphere] If you like...

[Ysabeau] I think I need to know.

[Ilphere] We never really talk about very personal things, though...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I suppose not.

[Ysabeau] I'd ask him myself if I thought I'd get anywhere.

[Ilphere] :/

[Ysabeau] Well, thanks for listening. I appreciate it, especially considering your own much deeper loss.

[Ysabeau] I only met her the once but she was a lovely lady.

[Ysabeau] Oh, um... when you're not so busy, do you think you could go over the paper I wrote about Aushinre's spell?

[Ilphere] Oh, certainly...!

[Ysabeau] It will be a chapter in my thesis but I thought maybe I could present it to the Society, too.

[Ysabeau] I haven't really done anything like that before, though.

[Ilphere] Well I'm sure you will do wonderfully...!

[Ysabeau] And I'm a little intimidated by your work, and M. Argo's.

[Ysabeau] You're both much smarter than I am.

[Ilphere] Oh, don't say that...!

  • Ysabeau shrugs

[Ysabeau] It's only the truth.

[Ilphere] Well, in any case I would be glad to look it over for you...

[Ilphere] On one condition...

[Ysabeau] I think the spell could be learned by people other than bards, too...

[Ysabeau] Oh?

[Ilphere] You must let me take you to lunch...! :)

  • Ilphere hooks her arm around yours.

[Ysabeau] Oh, sure! :)

[Ilphere] Wonderful... I am famished..! :)

[Ysabeau] Where would you like to go?

[Ilphere] Well, let me think...

  • Ilphere starts rattling off names of some of her favourite cafes...

[Ilphere] (that a good place to call it?)

[Ysabeau] (sure :) )

[Ysabeau] (Thanks)

[Ilphere] (np :)


Sanadhil and Rijeka

  • Sanadhil is gogn to prepare as best he can for the expected weather (which i'm not ooc what that would be?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (are you going to the area of the waterfall?)

[Sanadhil] (yes, mostly because it seems liek a safe place to appear ;p)

  • Sanadhil will pack to be away for a few days, in terms of clothes/food/etc and is grateful for the bag of holding :p

[Diablotin_Narrator] (spring in the mountains.. could be warm in the daytime, if it's sunny... probably still cold at night)

[Sanadhil] (that's about what I figured)

[Sanadhil] (I'm just checking my spells and such)

[Diablotin_Narrator] ('k)

  • Sanadhil will cast seeming on himself to appear as more generically Elfy for now, also

[Diablotin_Narrator] ok

  • Sanadhil will try to time his arrival for ealy morning, but I don't know how much of a sense of time zones we have o_o

[Diablotin_Narrator] (people teleport all the time, I'm sure it is at least somewhat known)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (like if you leave in the middle of the night, you'll get there in the morning, sort of thing)

[Sanadhil] (cool)

  • Sanadhil will actually try and sleep the night before also, so he can get away with meditating rather than sleep as necessary
  • Sanadhil rises extra early, though, can will teleport himself and his gear to the waterfall

[Diablotin_Narrator] The area looks much as it did in your vision, hilly and wooded, although there are only buds on the trees.

  • Sanadhil will look around to see if there is much evidence of people being in this place, and if there are any, sy, habitations visible

[Diablotin_Narrator] The air smells different here, full of scents you haven't smelled in years.

[Sanadhil] (It's been about 2 years since he was in Cozovode.... I didn't think he'd ever been here though...?)

[Sanadhil] (Is it just Elf Culture smells?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] not here specifically - but certain herbs that only grow in these lands, say...

[Sanadhil] (gotcha)

[Diablotin_Narrator] This area shows some signs of habitation - you can find some paths - but you don't see any dwellings immediately nearby.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The trees are thinned, also, not totally wild and overgrown.

  • Sanadhil will pick what looks like a more travelled path, and go from there

[Sanadhil] (Also - elfy travelling clothes)

[Diablotin_Narrator] Heading up into the hills, or down?

[Sanadhil] (The village I saw was in the valley, yes?)

[Sanadhil] (Down makes more sense, I believe)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (ok)

[Diablotin_Narrator] You walk down the path. By the time the sun is midway to noon, you can see the tiled roofs of buildings below - looks like an estate, one larger dwelling and some smaller outbuildings etc.

  • Sanadhil keeps an eye out for people
  • Sanadhil will find a good vantage point to watch the village from once he is a little closer, and stop and hve lunch

[Diablotin_Narrator] Some people - you assume slaves - are in the yard, doing chores - spring cleaning sorts of things, beating rugs and airing linens.

[Sanadhil] (wel I'll say a snack more than lunch proper..... sop long enough to get a sense of the activity, anyway)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (ok)

  • Sanadhil vaguely worries that his language skills will be to poor ir something..... haven't really spoken with actual Cozovode much in a while D:

[Sanadhil] (But I will press on, anyway)

  • Sanadhil will look for someone worth talking to as he gets closer

[Diablotin_Narrator] (what counts as worth talking to?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (slave-in-charge? someone elfy?)

[Sanadhil] (Not just a completely lowly slave?)

[Sanadhil] (yeah slave in charge or esomeone elfy)

[Diablotin_Narrator] There is a human woman, short and a bit plump, who seems to be giving the orders to the more lowly slaves.

[Sanadhil] (How do we generally address slaves? Just... hey byou? Slave?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (sure, that works)

  • Sanadhil will approach her, then

[Diablotin_Narrator] (anything demeaning would probably be expected ;)

[Sanadhil] Woman - whose estate is this?

  • Woman turns and abases herself when she sees you're a strange elf whose rank she doesn't know.

[Woman] Noble stranger!

  • Sanadhil waits for her answer.

[Woman] This is the estate of my lady Rijeka, of the Aspadana clan.

[Sanadhil] (should I make some K: elf rolls to see if that means anything to me?)

[Woman] (sure)

[Sanadhil] (ha - 2. i don't k now anything OOC about clans and such though :x)

[Sanadhil] (12!)

[Woman] (no idea!)

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] And your place here is?

[Woman] Noble stranger, I am the overseer of the female slaves.

[Woman] As you are a traveller, may I be permitted to bring you refreshment?

[Sanadhil] Yes, you may.

  • Woman sends one of the other slaves to do so, doesn't actually do it herself of course.
  • Woman will pour your drink when the slave returns with a pitcher and a platter of various nibbly things.

[Sanadhil] Tell me about this estate...

[Woman] Noble stranger, this estate has a vineyard and orchards, and raises sheep for their fine wool.

  • Sanadhil tries to convey practiced authority when he really feels very strange about it all

[Sanadhil] Is your lady prsent?

[Woman] She is, noble stranger. Should I bear your greetings to her?

  • Sanadhil nibles a snack as he considers what greetings to send
  • Sanadhil tries to remember any of he travellers he might have met or heard of at the monastery D:

[Woman] (do you need me to supply something? or are you making something up? :)

[Sanadhil] I am Aorisin, a travelling scholar, bring to her my greetings and thanks for her hospitality.

  • Woman abases herself once more before departing to bring that message to her mistress.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The other slaves avoid you as they go about their business.

  • Woman returns a short while later.
  • Sanadhil watches them work, and will possibly look around the courtyard some

[Woman] Noble scholar, my lady offers you her welcome, and continued hospitality for the night, if you so desire.

[Sanadhil] I am pleased to accept her offer.

[Woman] Permit me to escort you into her presence.

[Sanadhil] And I would be most honoured to express my gatutude in person.

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Woman will escort you into the villa. It is quite elegant, but appears to you as if perhaps it has had some lean times of late.
  • Sanadhil will try not to gawk as he takes it all in ;p

[Sanadhil] (Dp they seem to have a reasonable amount of slaves, at least? also I will totally still/silent cast DM)

[Woman] (yes, a fair number of slaves. Lean times indicated by, say, minor damage to furniture or walls not repaired, somewhat threadbare rugs and cushions, that sort of thing)

[Sanadhil] (*nod*)

  • Woman leads you into one of the inner chambers, overlooking the inner courtyard, where a young elven woman sits, apparently waiting for you.
  • Sanadhil will give her a courteous bow

[Rijeka] Scholar Aorisin, be welcome in my home.

[Sanadhil] Many thanks, my lady, for your hospitality and kindness.

  • Rijeka has a fairly dark complexion, curly brown hair, a slender figure, and looks quite young, probably barely of age.

[Rijeka] What brings you to these lands?

[Sanadhil] (we are close to the border, aren't we?)

[Rijeka] (yes, well, it's just on the other side of the mountains or so)

  • Sanadhil smiles politely

[Sanadhil] I am a seeker of knowledge, my Lady - I have been abroad, and your estate lay along the path of my return home

[Rijeka] Oh, you have been in the barbarian lands? How fascinating.

[Sanadhil] Indeed - but it is quite refreshing to return even after a short visitation

[Rijeka] I can only imagine.

[Sanadhil] I would be happy to share tales of my travels, if it would entertain you

[Rijeka] Certainly. I would very much like to hear such tales. Would you care for further refreshments while we converse?

[Sanadhil] Thank you.

  • Sanadhil will tell her some random stories about places he has been in the Empire, the city, etc
  • Sanadhil will couch it moe in terms of "oh those silly barbaric humans, ha ha" though
  • Rijeka laughs at appropriate moments.
  • Sanadhil will try to be cordially charming, generally....

[Rijeka] Another scholar will be joining us later this evening, I expect he will be most fascinated to hear of your travels as well.

[Sanadhil] oh?

  • Rijeka nods.

[Rijeka] The wizard Dinthanir dwells nearby, and often joins me for dinner.

  • Rijeka says with perhaps the slightest hint of ... distaste?
  • Sanadhil nods slowly.

[Sanadhil] I see...

[Rijeka] It will be nice to have some other company as well.

  • Sanadhil smiles with the slightest hint of sympathy, then

[Rijeka] Perhaps you will excuse me - I must prepare for dinner.

  • Rijeka says even though it is probably several hours away still.

[Sanadhil] Of course.

[Rijeka] Raiya will show you to the guest quarters, where you may take your ease until then.

  • Rijeka 's slave bows to you.

[Sanadhil] Thank you, my lady.

[Rijeka] Thank you for your company, scholar.

  • Sanadhil tries to get a read on her before she goes?

[Diablotin_Narrator] (She seemed sort of relieved to have someone else there, and glad of the conversation - possibly bored?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (I mean, bored here, not bored of you)

[Sanadhil] (cool)

[Sanadhil] (wasted roll of a 34 there, methinks :V)

[Diablotin_Narrator] You are escorted to a guest room, with adjacent bath, and the slave leaves you there.

[Sanadhil] me will follow the slave to the gues chambers and clean himself up some, though really he is proba bly pretty clean

  • Sanadhil does that

[Diablotin_Narrator] (you can never be too clean! and besides - bathroom!)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (not a tin tub in your kitchen ;)

[Sanadhil] (indeed ^-^)

  • Sanadhil will take advantage

[Diablotin_Narrator] Some hours later, a different slave returns to inform you that dinner will be served shortly.

  • Rijeka and her guest are conversing when you arrive.
  • Sanadhil will dm him for sure....
  • Dinthanir is a man of maturity, not quite middle-aged yet but drawing near. His head is shaved, and he wears a simple robe.
  • Sanadhil gives a polite bow
  • Dinthanir has a magic ring, nothing else on him.
  • Dinthanir inclines his head politely to you.

[Rijeka] Wizard Dinthanir, this is Scholar Aorisin.

  • Rijeka introduces you.

[Rijeka] He has recently been journeying in the human lands, and is now returned.

[Sanadhil] Well met, Wizard.

[Dinthanir] And you, scholar.

[Dinthanir] I travelled in those lands myself as a youth - it is a strange and remarkable culture.

[Sanadhil] Indeed.

[Dinthanir] Remarkable that they can achieve so much, with such short lifespans...

  • Sanadhil nods in honest agreement at that.

[Rijeka] Come, please, be seated.

  • Sanadhil will sit as directed

[Sanadhil] It is one way in which their impatience serves them well.

  • Rijeka 's slaves start bringing in dishes once you are seated. You haven't seen such wonderful non-meaty food in quite some time ;)
  • Sanadhil tries to retrain himself @_@

[Dinthanir] Indeed. I have read an account which attributes their short lifespans to that very impatience which is characteristic of their race.

[Sanadhil] oh?

[Dinthanir] Their inability to meditate properly, it was implied, shortened their lifespans. I do not know how much stock to put in it, but it was an intriguing theory.

  • Dinthanir strikes you as the pedantic bore type of scholar, happy to drone on about irrelevant crap ;)

[Sanadhil] (Seth!)

[Rijeka] So, tell us more of your travels, Aorisin :)

  • Rijeka will steer the conversation so that you can do more talking.

[Sanadhil] Gladly.

  • Sanadhil smiles, and will talk a bit about some of the things that have been happening in the city - the coronation and such...

[Sanadhil] (the weddings..... big exciting things, wooh)

  • Rijeka listens avidly, while Dinthanir will interject as often as possible with his own 'wisdom'.

[Sanadhil] but tell me - though I have not been aay so very long, the pace of life in the human lands is disconcerting, I I feel as though I am out of touch.

[Sanadhil] Has your clan long held these lands, my lady?

[Rijeka] My family's roots in these lands are deep, yes. My illustrious father was lord here before me.

[Rijeka] He went to the stars five years ago.

[Sanadhil] May I ask his name?

[Rijeka] His name was Anpkaros.

[Rijeka] Did you know him?

  • Sanadhil smiles apologetically

[Sanadhil] I did not have the honour.

[Dinthanir] Alas... the late lord was a wise man, if unfortunate...

  • Rijeka gives him a bit of a sharp look.
  • Sanadhil looks betwen the two

[Sanadhil] ...Unfortunate?

[Rijeka] My family had some... difficulties when I was a child. They are passed now.

  • Rijeka says firmly.

[Dinthanir] Indeed, most thankfully past. You have assumed your father's mantle and done well, my lady.

[Rijeka] Thank you.

[Sanadhil] Yes, your estate is most well ordered

  • Rijeka nods politely.
  • Sanadhil is going to still/silent cast detect thoughts

[Rijeka] (what's the DC?)

[Sanadhil] (18)

  • Dinthanir is thinking that the poor girl is in over her head, her estate will be bankrupt before long, she will be so grateful

for his help...

  • Rijeka 's thoughts remain out of your reach.

[Dinthanir] Perhaps after dinner, you would grace us with your music, my lady?

[Rijeka] I apologize, but I am feeling quite weary. I believe I shall retire after dinner. Thank you for your company, though.

[Sanadhil] (sm)

[Rijeka] (on her or him?)

[Sanadhil] (her)

[Rijeka] (you can roll)

[Sanadhil] (32)

  • Rijeka wants to get rid of him, and seems kind of annoyed with him, though hiding it well.

[Sanadhil] (well as long as she isn't annoyed with me ;)

[Rijeka] (doesn't seem to be, no)

[Sanadhil] (good enough)

  • Dinthanir will take his leave of the lady politely when dinner is concluded, then.
  • Sanadhil will give gim a cordial goodbye
  • Dinthanir returns it, though he looks like he might want to say something more...
  • Sanadhil will see him into the hall or something

[Dinthanir] [q] You must forgive the lady Rijeka - she receives few visitors.

[Dinthanir] [q] Apart from myself, naturally.

[Sanadhil] [q]of course - she is quite young to head an estate, as well.

  • Dinthanir nods.

[Dinthanir] [q] Her father took his own life... very shocking. You may not have heard, as you were travelling.

  • Sanadhil looks shocked indeed!

[Dinthanir] [q] I thought you ought to know, at any rate.

[Sanadhil] [q] Indeed..... yes, thank you. But what could have cause such a...

  • Sanadhil is at a loss for words

[Dinthanir] [q] I cannot say what was in his mind, alas.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] [q] of course.....

[Sanadhil] (26 sm - does he really have no idea?)

[Dinthanir] [q] But now I'm sure you see why the lady is not... often troubled with guests.

  • Dinthanir seems to know more, but isn't telling you.
  • Sanadhil nods

[Dinthanir] [q] You would do well to be on your way in the morning.

[Sanadhil] [q] Understandable.... Indeed.

  • Dinthanir says by way of warning... or threat... or something?
  • Sanadhil dt's him again

[Rijeka] (still 19? he made it this time)

[Sanadhil] (damn)

[Dinthanir] Good evening, Scholar Aorisin. Safe travels.

  • Dinthanir turns to depart.
  • Sanadhil will let him go, and then return to se if the lady has truly retired
  • Rijeka is not in the dining room, when you return there.
  • Sanadhil will wander about the estate for a bit, then?

[Rijeka] (You can hear music coming from somewhere not too far away, though)

  • Sanadhil will head that direction then

[Sanadhil] (unless it is clearly like, a private area)

[Rijeka] (it is in the inner area of the house, but not locked away or anything)

  • Rijeka can be found in what is apparently a music room. She is playing a dulcimer, quite beautifully.
  • Sanadhil will stand at the threshold listening until she either notices or stops her current piece?
  • Rijeka has tears in her eyes when she looks up, and quickly lifts her hand to wipe them away.

[Rijeka] Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't hear you... Please, forgive me.

[Sanadhil] Oh, I am sorry - I didn't meqan to disturb you.....

  • Rijeka composes herself.

[Rijeka] Not at all. I found I wished to play after all... perhaps I was not so tired as I thought.

[Sanadhil] I was simply enraptured by your playing.... It blinded me to the fact that you were upset

  • Sanadhil nods

[Rijeka] I am only upset that I have not been a better host to you.

  • Rijeka lies.
  • Sanadhil smiles sympathetically, and will charm her if he can (dc 18)
  • Rijeka smiles back, shyly.

[Sanadhil] I have been away long enough that the prersence of a charming lady such as yourself is well hospiality enough...

  • Rijeka blushes at that.

[Sanadhil] It troubles me to see you have been upset, I can see that your other guest has upset you...

[Rijeka] I... I do not often have visitors, and one so handsome...

  • Rijeka looks aside, embarrassed.
  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] . o O (sigh)

[Sanadhil] May I enter? i do not wish to disturb your further, but perhaps you would care for a kind ear to sahre your troubles...

[Rijeka] Of course you may...

  • Rijeka slides over to make room for you to sit beside her
  • Sanadhil will sit then.

[Sanadhil] It must be difficult.... lonely, for one so young to live in such isolation - have you no other neighbours?

  • Sanadhil asks with an undertone of 'who aren't skeezy jerks'?

[Rijeka] A few, but after my family's troubles.. they wish for little to do with me.

[Sanadhil] What troubles could be so terrible as to keep them away from one so gracious?

[Rijeka] So many troubles as to seem that we must be ... cursed :/

[Sanadhil] Cursed?

[Rijeka] I exaggerate, perhaps...but it does feel that way at times.

[Sanadhil] but why?

[Rijeka] My mother died in delivering me... my brother abandoned us and left for the human lands... and then my father, always so wise and thoughful, took his own life unexpectedly. Since then, we have had poor harvests, our sheep have been sickly, slaves have run away...

[Rijeka] It may come to selling the estate, if I can no longer manage :/

[Sanadhil] You had a brother?

[Sanadhil] Hmm.

[Rijeka] Yes.. this would have been his responsibility, had he not left.

  • Rijeka says bitterly.

[Sanadhil] What was his name?

[Rijeka] Anxikaril.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Rijeka] I have not seen him or heard from him since I was a child.

[Sanadhil] What happened?

[Rijeka] I do not know - my father would not speak of it with me, as I was too young to understand. There was some scandal with a slave... I do not know more than that.

[Sanadhil] and when he left, you would have been the sole heir....

  • Rijeka takes your hand, without thinking.

[Sanadhil] How long has Dinthanir been your neighbour?

  • Sanadhil pets it comfortingly

[Rijeka] Oh, many years. He and my father were friends.

[Sanadhil] oh?

  • Sanadhil seems surprised to hear that :V

[Rijeka] He is the only one who has not shunned me... but then, I suppose wizards are above such petty concerns.

[Rijeka] He has been very good to me, really... :/

[Sanadhil] perhaps....

[Rijeka] He offered to buy our lands at a reasonable price... I would not sell them when he first asked, but if things continue... I may have little choice.

[Sanadhil] Hmm.

[Sanadhil] Do you know what is the focus of his studies?

[Rijeka] I am not a scholar, so I do not know all the details... but I believe he studies illusion magics.

  • Rijeka leans against you for more comforting.
  • Sanadhil nods
  • Sanadhil will not get.... too comforting with his aunt -_-

[Rijeka] I fear I am burdening you with my troubles...

[Sanadhil] no - it is no burden, I assure you.

[Sanadhil] But it must be distressing to dwell on.

[Rijeka] I try not to... but you seem so easy to speak to.

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] then let us spea of more pleasant things....

[Rijeka] Yes...

  • Rijeka kisses you.
  • Sanadhil will carefully disengage

[Rijeka] ...?

[Sanadhil] I.... I'm sorry. There is...someone waiting for me at home.

  • Sanadhil blushes

[Rijeka] Oh... I... I am sorry for my boldness.

[Sanadhil] It is not you.. I have.... been too long away, and i forget myself.

  • Rijeka nods, but regretfully.

[Rijeka] Perhaps I should do well to retire after all.

  • Sanadhil says with some shame and an appropriate inability to meet her eyes.

[Sanadhil] Perhaps i shoudl do the same - and continue to hy home in the morning.

[Rijeka] Thank you for your companionship today, and for listening to me. My slaves will provide you with provisions for your journey tomorrow.

[Sanadhil] You are most gracious, lady.

  • Rijeka nods and departs hastily.
  • Sanadhil will go back to his room and think
  • Rijeka does not appear to bid you farewell in the morning.
  • Sanadhil will collect his tasty elf snacks @_@

Sanadhil and Seth

  • Sanadhil will use Sending to contact Seth - it is the easiest way.
  • Seth is pretty used to strange voices in his head

[Sanadhil] "M. Argo, I was hoping to speak with you about a professional matter. Could we meet in the afternoon at the society sometime this week?"

[Seth] "Very well, I agree to convivially join with you tomorrow afternoon at the Society, M. Orecalo."

  • Sanadhil will be waiting, then, in the afternon, since you didn't specify what time
  • Seth will show up freshly shaven and bathed.
  • Sanadhil is reading in the library

[Seth] Ah, good afternoon, M. Orecalo. I trust I have not kept you waiting too long.

  • Sanadhil smiles, closing the book with a marker to keep his place

[Sanadhil] No, of course not.

[Sanadhil] I have reserved a study room for our discussion.

[Seth] Very well.

  • Sanadhil stands and will go with you then.
  • Seth settles in.

[Sanadhil] I was speaking to Mlle. L'Averti after M. Walther's recent presentation.

[Sanadhil] She wanted to know if we were still interested in meeting with her contact in the modern Shadar Kai homelands.

[Seth] I see.

[Sanadhil] I am certainly still keen to do so, as is Her Highness.

[Sanadhil] But I wished to ascertain your opinion

[Seth] Ah, well, I am most flattered that you would think of inviting me.

[Seth] I do admit, I feel that much of the work we initiated with regard to the Shadow Plane remains woefully unfinished.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Hmmm... I thought I had spoken with you about this when planning the second expedition, where Mlle. joined us, and we visited Imraen's dream.

[Sanadhil] her presence on that trip was, in fact part of the arrangement.

[Seth] I do not believe so, or if you had, there was no plan in place. I take it that there is now something more firmly in place.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Indeed, there was no plan in place as yet.

[Sanadhil] But now, arrangements are being made.

[Sanadhil] her contact there is a scholar of the planes, and has agreed to meet wth a small group of those who were part of the initial exploration, I thought you might be among the most interested.

  • Seth nods.

[Seth] That is likely so. What specific role do you foresee for me in this meeting?

[Sanadhil] Specific role? How do you mean?

[Seth] Well ... let me ask it another way. With whom are we meeting, exactly?

[Sanadhil] My understanding is that we are meeting with a gentleman named Rhyl ussQu'rret, with whome Mlle. L'averti has had personal contact for some times.

[Seth] Obviously I will want to ask him not only about the Arch, but also about the golem Schesutte.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Of course.... though I admit I remain somewhat confused as to why you believe there to be a connection between the missing construct and the Shadar Kai

[Sanadhil] I hope to speak to him about the Sarasagel, the city on the Shadow Plane, which they believe to be cursed, and the sleeping Queen

[Seth] Well, because of our initial foray to the Greysmoke Temple, more than anything. It is not that I am convinced that it is there, just that it would not be implausible.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Seth] And of course, since Shadar-kai live longer than humans, their records may be better than ours.

[Sanadhil] indeed, I hope this will enable us to have somewhat freer access to them

  • Seth nods.

[Seth] So ... is the Princess Ilphere amenable to my attendance at this gathering?

[Sanadhil] I informed her of my intent to invite you - she did not express any particular opinion on the matter, one way or another.

[Sanadhil] I expect she can be cordial.

[Seth] Very well.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Mlle also presented another request, which her Highnes and I are currently considering - the opportunity to return to Imraen's dream

[Seth] Do you think that wise?

[Sanadhil] Only if we can devise some way not to have our consciousnesses subsumed into the dream itself.

[Sanadhil] The princess intends to amass more experience with the spell, and dreamwalking, and I am looking in to the possibility of using magic to create some kind of mental trigger that will allow ourselves to 'wake up' properly inside, if necessary....

[Seth] Indeed. While I admit that there is likely much that we can learn, I am rather wary of that prospect.

[Sanadhil] I understand.

[Sanadhil] She was particularly interested in the possibility that there may be some relationship between the Queen and her contact's clan.

[Seth] The Princess?

[Sanadhil] on, no, Mlle. L'averti

[Seth] Ah, I understand.

[Seth] Very well.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] the opportunity to speak to Imraen may clarify the matter somewhat

[Seth] This sounds very promising. Hopefully her contact is well-disposed towards us.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I will speak to you again once I have firmer arrangements, then.

[Seth] Very well, I look forward to it.