Ashnabis session 9

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
ashnabis session logs
Previous Session 9 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: April 21, 2019
Fair Cycle date: Pesme, I.E. 765

Prologue


<AshnabisNarrator> It's nearing the middle of Pesme, and it definitely is starting to feel like you might dry out someday soon. After last week's job at the site next to the temple, you have mostly been around the registry taking down names of new claimants and figuring out how to manage the seemingly thousands of new arrivals.
<AshnabisNarrator> Over the past week, the area around the land registry has been even harder to navigate than usual. Over a hundred bubun, managed by the priestesses of the Hand, have been carrying stone blocks and erecting a new administrative building scarcely a hundred paces from the registry.
<AshnabisNarrator> It's not that you've never seen bubun before - it's that you've really never seen so many, working in coordination, for so long. It might be their tirelessness - at the end of a long day you pour yourself out of the office on the way home, and they're still there, as fresh as always, with their handler seated under a parasol keeping an eye on things.
<AshnabisNarrator> But the bubun make quick work of jobs that would be exhausting for the living and never complain or ask for a day off. Thankfully your jobs aren't at risk of being replaced by the living dead … for now. For one thing, bubun smell awfully bad in the rain. For another, they can't write reports.
<AshnabisNarrator> Speaking of which, what did you include (or omit) in your report on the lighthouse site?
<AshnabisGM> (Basically we want to know: did you put in "hey there's a village there that's not on the map", did you put anything about the weird plant you found, and did you recommend that the land was not really suitable for a lighthouse?)
<Llillilli> (well, we definitely put in that the land is sandy and not elevated, not really what they were looking for, and I think that the area around that temple is inhabited)
<Daifan> (yeah)
<Llillilli> I was not going to mention the plants personally
<Veznara> (I think we could mention them without getting too much into it, no?)
<Jimba> (Likewise)
<Llillilli> (I am actually against mentioning the plants)
<AshnabisGM> Charles, you mean "them" as in the plants? or the people?
<Veznara> (The plants. We're already mentioning the people, no?)
<Veznara> (I mean, we are mentioning the uruun attack?)
<AshnabisGM> I just wasn't sure whether you meant "mention the people without getting much into it" or "mention the plants without getting much into it"
<Daifan> (yes but we can just ay we were attacked by horny moles)
<Daifan> (Or even say attacked by horny moles that were being affectedf by some weird plants they were eating, at most)
<Veznara> (That. The second one.)
<Llillilli> (yeah i'd be ok with that I guess)
<AshnabisGM> Does that work for folks? "There's a village around the temple, the land near the coast is sandy and not elevated, we were attacked by some moles that were feeding on plants nearby"
<Daifan> (horny moles)
<AshnabisGM> okay, horny moles :)
<Daifan> (look it is relevant! :V)
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, sounds good. Then, we begin with Veznara!
<Veznara> (I'm not putting "horny"! :P )
<AshnabisGM> hee
<Llillilli> "in season? xD"
<Veznara> (Also, I think we have to mention Atsa, no?)
<Daifan> 9I'll nget Junan to do it ;)(
<Llillilli> IT'S JUST NATURE VEZNARA
<Daifan> (why?)
<Veznara> (Because we did encounter her there.)
<Daifan> (is that relevant to wanting to build a lighthouse though?)
<Veznara> (Not per se, but it did happen. Do we usually mention things like that in our reports?)
<AshnabisGM> it's not required that your reports mention every single thing. If she lived on the land you investigated, or posed a danger there, maybe, but just "someone was gathering herbs nearby" is probably not required info for the land office.
<Veznara> (OK then, never mind.)
<AshnabisGM> it's not that you can't mention it, but she isn't a feature of the land :)
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, so Veznara, you're up.
<Veznara> (iRight!)

Veznara is summoned to dinner with Zeba, to talk about Tiz's land grant


<AshnabisNarrator> Veznara, you are at home just before work one morning when you receive an invitation sent by messenger from Zeba Mopister, requesting your presence at dinner at her home this evening.
<AshnabisNarrator> Of course, this is not the sort of invitation that you can just casually decline, although it means you'll need to reschedule your important … plans, yeah, let's go with that.
* Veznara reschedules her important plans and sends back a polite acceptance of the "invitation"
<AshnabisNarrator> You head over there at the appointed time and are welcomed in by the doorman who is clearly expecting your arrival.
* Zeba is awaiting you in her spacious and well-apportioned parlor.
* Zeba is wearing a bluish-purple full-length gown decorated with vumuri shells around the sleeves, and a fine mesh belt of silver and snake leather. Her head is adorned with a blue-grey burst of exotic feathers worked into a domed headdress.
* Veznara is wearing a reddish gown with intricate patterns, and vumuri shell jewelry
<Zeba> Veznara, so good to see you. I'm so glad you were able to come on such short notice, and I do apologize for the sudden invitation.
<Veznara> Thank you for inviting me, Zeba! I'm delighted to see you again as well. And of course I was happy to come.
<Veznara> How have you been?
* Zeba blinks several times, and then smiles.
<Zeba> Very well, thank you.
<Zeba> I thought the invitation would be less suspicious than me simply showing up at your home or work, where who knows who could have seen me or overheard?
<Veznara> Yes, absolutely!
<Zeba> I'm really not normally a suspicious sort, but I know you prefer to have a certain modicum of discretion in these sorts of matters.
<Zeba> I wanted to speak to you about your little group's most recent excursion.
<Veznara> Oh yes?
<Zeba> Yes, well ... oh how rude of me, please sit. And what can I get you to drink?
<Veznara> Thank you. To drink... may I try that wine you recommended the last time?
<Zeba> Yes, of course.
* Zeba waves a hand at a figure in the corner, who dashes off to comply.
<Zeba> So ... Tiz Chomakosh.
<Veznara> Yes!
<Zeba> Strange that after our last conversation she should come to your office with a claim, don't you think?
<Veznara> Well, I don't know. It didn't seem too strange at the time...
<Zeba> And now, how does it seem?
<Veznara> Plausible enough... except for what I saw.
<Veznara> And I can't decide whether I was meant to see it or not.
<Zeba> Which is what?
<Veznara> A temple very much like the one I told you about.
<Veznara> Like the one that Lieutenant Chomakosh seemed to find so interesting.
* Zeba nods.
<Zeba> I've done a little looking into the lieutenant. She's very close to the General, going back years.
<Veznara> Yes? I've heard that too.
<Zeba> I have learned, through my sources, that the good lieutenant has been involved with a Choradani priest, Gili Khurdafu, who is some sort of assistant to Voice Tegus.
<Veznara> (Have I heard of this person?)
<Zeba> (you don't believe so)
<Veznara> Ah. I had heard that she was "devout"...
<Zeba> Well I'm sure that's true also.
<Veznara> So she may be investigating this on behalf of this Voice Gili Khurdafu ?
<Zeba> I believe so. These temples you have found , they are Voice temples, yes?
<Veznara> Oh yes.
<Veznara> I even saw a priest exiting this last one.
<Zeba> An Aummesh priest, though?
<Veznara> Yes - it wasn't anyone I know. Not as far as I could tell at that distance, anyway! But yes, I have no doubt he was local.
<Veznara> So what is the interest of Voice Gili Khurdafu?
<Veznara> Is he simply acting on the orders of Voice Tegus?
<Veznara> Or could it be his own initiative?
<Zeba> I don't really know. He's not a figure known to me at all, and I am a reasonably devout person. Although as I don't have any ancestors here in the Territory, it's not as likely that I'd know a Voice priest.
<Zeba> I don't know - I really don't. And similarly, I don't know whether Chomakosh is doing this at the behest of the General.
<Zeba> I can tell you this - the territory is about to assert its claim on that land you investigated.
<Veznara> Ah. For what reason - do you know?
<Veznara> I take it that the lighthouse was simply a pretext...
<Zeba> I couldn't say, but I presume so.
* Veznara pauses
<Veznara> Could it have to do with those plants?
<Zeba> Why would you suppose it would?
<Veznara> Just that our team's mystic, Katenzhi, said something about them having fortune-telling properties.
<Zeba> That is ... interesting. Do you trust this Katenzhi?
<Veznara> Yes, isn't it?
<Veznara> Trust her in the sense that I believe she was telling the truth? I suppose so - I don't see why she would make something like that up.
<Veznara> She said that someone had told her about them, but she wasn't sure if they even existed.
<Veznara> ...
<Zeba> Well ... that adds an additional perspective on the matter.
<Veznara> ...and then she said they could be worth a fortune. :O
<Zeba> But does Chomakosh know that? How would she?
<Veznara> I don't know. Perhaps she doesn't. After all, the decision to take the land doesn't rest with her, does it? At least, not her alone, surely...
<Zeba> Right, of course.
<Veznara> So it was the General who made this decision?
<Zeba> Ultimately, yes, of course. But I don't know how close she was to this.
<Veznara> Of course - she depends on advisers.
<Veznara> So who advised her on this?
<Veznara> Lieutenant Chomakosh, presumably...
<Zeba> Presumably. I don't know, but I can look into it.
<AshnabisNarrator> A servant comes into the room and stands at attention.
* Veznara looks up
<Zeba> Ah, that must be dinner. Shall we?
<Veznara> Yes, by all means. But to finish business...
<Veznara> ...shall I approach Katenzhi about this?
<Veznara> It seems to be a matter of interest to her, and I'm sure she can tell me more.
<Veznara> I expect she will be interested in the news that the land is going to be taken... if it's alright for me to tell her.
<Zeba> If you think it prudent. I don't know her, and so can't speak to that.
<Veznara> I expect it will be publicly known soon enough anyway.
<Veznara> Yes, perhaps I should at least sound her out.
<Zeba> All right then. And of course do let me know if you learn anything else of interest.
<Veznara> I certainly will! Thank you so much, Zeba.
<Veznara> And now, let us enjoy this splendid dinner. I'm sure it will be wonderful.
<Zeba> Now, shall we? Tonight I understand we shall be dining on turtle steaks with a cream sauce.
<Zeba> A local delicacy.
<Veznara> That sounds delightful!

Katenzhi takes the sample of the plant to Bivizmi and they test it out


<AshnabisNarrator> Katenzhi, it's too bad you missed all the fun that your compatriots had on the last mission. Although being bitten by a psychic mole has its appeal, you probably were better off staying at home, honestly. And at least they had the decency to collect five of these roots for you, which do look an awful lot like the 'pale oracle' that Bivizmi asked you to look into.
<AshnabisNarrator> You rightly noted, upon learning about this, that this discovery could be valuable … presuming it is what you think it is, and that it has a useful effect on non-moles. There are obviously direct ways to figure that out by testing it out yourself. Or of course you could take it to Bivizmi to have it prepared as if it were fos.
<AshnabisNarrator> (Some things that you could do to test the plant include trying to cast some simple spells, and see how it reacts, and taking some doses and voluntarily failing, to see if it has any unusual side effects that differ from normal fos.)
* Katenzhi considers trying it raw, but after hearing her compatriots describe its effects, she decides to do the prudent thing for once and take it to Bivizmi.
<AshnabisNarrator> The Pindevuzi workshop is located at the eastern outskirts of Kaskind, where the pungent odors of alchemical work won't be so noticeable. The building itself is entirely stone with a slate roof and two high-vaulted chimneys, one on either end, both with fragrant grey smoke wafting eastwards towards the swamp.
<AshnabisNarrator> The Pindevuzi originate in Choradan, where they are a major craft lineage of alchemists going back generations. Of course, in those days fos was rare and most of their work was more mundane. With the fos boom, the family sent what seems like an endless horde of their younger, highly talented generation to Kaskind to set up shop.
<AshnabisNarrator> Now they run a major enterprise here, Bivizmi and her sisters and brothers and cousins and whatnot - you can't keep them all straight.
<AshnabisNarrator> You enter the shop and are surrounded by a flurry of activity, with apprentices running here and there with jugs, and coals burning in braziers everywhere.
<AshnabisNarrator> You see Bivizmi in one corner, and she looks up as you enter.
* Katenzhi waves
<Katenzhi> Ahoy there!
* Bivizmi is wearing a supple light brown leather coat over a blue checked dashi tied high over one shoulder. She is wearing her hair braided tightly with a simple blue cap atop her head.
* Bivizmi speaks a few words to a young woman standing next to her, who takes over whatever it was she was doing.
* Bivizmi comes over to see you.
<Bivizmi> Katenzhi, good to see you. You here to place an order?
* Katenzhi grins.
<Katenzhi> Actually, today I have something for you!
<Bivizmi> Oh?
* Bivizmi perks up instantly.
<Katenzhi> So tell me, who's your favorite manifest in the whole world?
* Katenzhi will reach into her pocket and pull out three of the roots and show them to her.
<Bivizmi> Well, I've always been fond of my uncle Lailam, but ... well!
<Katenzhi> Well, fine, if you're gonna be like that...
<Bivizmi> Put them away for now.
* Katenzhi does so and looks around.
<Katenzhi> Oh...
<Katenzhi> Ok...
<Katenzhi> What's up?
<Katenzhi>
<Bivizmi> Here, come upstairs.
* Bivizmi takes you up to the second level of the building, which has a number of small chambers.
* Katenzhi will follow her
<Bivizmi> All right, get them out again.
<Bivizmi> Let's have a look.
* Katenzhi will hand the to her.
<Katenzhi> I think they're what you were looking for.
* Bivizmi takes one and takes a sniff, experimentally.
<Katenzhi> I wasn't there when they were found but my partners brought them back for me. They said they produce visions of some sort. I've been a little hesitant to try them myself.
<Bivizmi> Well ... I could prepare some for us.
* Katenzhi shrugs. "I've got nothing to do for a bit."
<Bivizmi> Just let me grab a few things. Sit tight.
* Bivizmi runs off excitedly and returns to the room a few minutes later with a collection of materials.
* Bivizmi sets up a small fire in a small brazier and then takes the roots and begins to prepare them. She chops them up, then grinds them with a mortar and pestle, then adds some additional powders and a liquid.
<Katenzhi> Why all the secrecy? Aren't most of the people here family?
* Bivizmi looks at you strangely.
<Bivizmi> Yes, exactly.
<Bivizmi> When you're the baby of the family, even when you're the best, you get no respect. My brother hears about this, all of a sudden he's the discoverer of the pale oracle, not me.
* Katenzhi grins.
<Katenzhi> Gotcha.
* Bivizmi works at it for a bit. You may never have seen fos being prepared before so you're not sure what you're supposed to be seeing, but she seems intrigued.
<Katenzhi> For what it's worth, I know fos, and you *are* the best.
* Bivizmi smiles.
<Bivizmi> You're just saying that because I'm making you fos. But you're right, I am the best.
<Bivizmi> There, I mean, it isn't a thing of beauty, but it should do the trick.
* Katenzhi examines the powder.
* Bivizmi scrapes a crusty powder out into two small ceramic bowls.
<AshnabisNarrator> The pale oracle is, well, pale - almost pure white with just a few flecks of purple and black here and there.
<Katenzhi> Well... I guess here goes nothing.
* Katenzhi will clicnk her bowl against Bivizmi's in a mock toast.
<Bivizmi> You go first. In case ... well, I have my healer's kit here, in case.
* Katenzhi raises an eyebrow at that, but then nods and tosses it back.
<AshnabisNarrator> The pale oracle has a different taste and texture than ordinary fos - almost a bit sweet and creamy. As you eat it, you feel power coming into you, but it is quite unlike the feeling of fos. When you take fos, it sits heavily on you, as if building in your gut and legs, as if you were tapping into the root of the universe.
<AshnabisNarrator> The pale oracle is all in the head, thrumming against the inside of your skull as if it were trying to escape through any orifice, but you can keep it at bay without too much difficulty. It's strange, but it is still a kind of fos, and the tricks you have learned from Sajan serve you just as well.
<AshnabisNarrator> (how many doses are you taking?)
<Katenzhi> (How many did she make me?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (well, if there were 3 plants, that would normally make 6 doses ... so 3 doses each?)
<Katenzhi> (Just 1 dose for now then. I wasn't sure if she used all of them.)
<AshnabisNarrator> (what are you going to do with just one dose? even a 1st level spell takes 2, right?)
<Katenzhi> (Oh right)
<Katenzhi> (I Guess all three then)
<Bivizmi> How does it feel? What are you going to cast?
* Bivizmi seems super excited.
* Katenzhi sits quietly for a second, concentrating on the feeling of it.
<Katenzhi> It's... different. Much more in the head than regular fos. It's... I feel like my head is vibrating.
<Katenzhi> Let's try this...
* Katenzhi attempts to cast invisibility.
<Katenzhi> (Or wait, that would take four doses)
<Bivizmi> (you don't have enough fos to cast invisibility ... that would take 4 doses)
* Katenzhi will cast disguise self.
* Katenzhi will attempt to look like Bivizmi.
<Katenzhi> :V
<Katenzhi> (Magic check?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (no, you don't know what you're doing ... yet)
<AshnabisNarrator> Katenzhi, you feel the fos draining out of you. It's much more challenging than you had expected - the Source energy flows out of every part of you, it feels like. The spell seems to work, though.
* Bivizmi smiles.
<AshnabisNarrator> Then, as you cast the spell, the area around you comes in to crystal clear focus. It is as if you can see every crack in the wall, every spider, every half-mopped-up stain on the floor. As you wonder at this, the world transforms. The orange coals in the brazier turn to black, while the shadows it leaves behind turn as bright as day.
<Bivizmi> It worked! ... Katenzhi?
* Katenzhi boggles at what she's seeing and looks around her in astonishment.
<Katenzhi> Biv... are you seeing this?
<Bivizmi> I'm seeing myself, or at least, an approximation of myself. You do a good job, really.
<Katenzhi> No... this...
* Katenzhi gestures around her.
<Bivizmi> What?
<Katenzhi> Everything is... weird.
<Bivizmi> Your eyes look different. They're too dark, like ... black.
<Bivizmi> Change that.
<Katenzhi> (Can I?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (no ... and you definitely did not ask for black eyes when changing form)
<Katenzhi> I... can't...
<AshnabisNarrator> (also, you note that all the fos you took is gone)
<Katenzhi> (All three doses?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (yup)
<Katenzhi> (k)
<Bivizmi> Here. Let me ...
* Bivizmi takes her doses.
<Bivizmi> I see what you're saying about the feel in the head.
<Bivizmi> It's remarkable.
<Katenzhi> Just wait...
<Katenzhi> Try casting something.
<Bivizmi> I'm going to try to figure out what's going on.
* Bivizmi casts a spell.
<Bivizmi> Huh ...
<Bivizmi> Strange.
<Katenzhi> What happened?
* Bivizmi pulls out a notebook and begins scrawling down some records.
<Katenzhi> What did you cast?
<Bivizmi> Just detect magic. I wanted to see what had happened to you.
<Bivizmi> You have two effects on you. An illusion, and a transmutation.
<Katenzhi> Transmutation?
<Bivizmi> Your eyes. It's as if they have changed.
<Bivizmi> What are you seeing?
<Katenzhi> Weird...
<Katenzhi> (Are her eyes different?)
<Bivizmi> (nope)
<Katenzhi> Things are... brighter... but also darker. Everything is so much... more. I don't know how to explain it.
<Bivizmi> I also ... I still have a lot of source left in me.
<Katenzhi> Why aren't you seeing it?
<Bivizmi> I don't know.
<Katenzhi> Mine is all gone.
<Katenzhi> I'm out.
<Bivizmi> Well ... now I'm not sure what to do with the rest of it.
<Katenzhi> Wait...
<Katenzhi> Try casting some other kind of divination.
<Bivizmi> All right, like what?
<Katenzhi> I don't know... detect poison or something?
<Bivizmi> All right.
* Bivizmi casts.
<Katenzhi> Did it work?
<Bivizmi> It did. I mean, I don't have any poison here, but ... yes.
<Katenzhi> Do you still have more left?
<Bivizmi> Yes ... almost all of it.
<Katenzhi> Now try... ghost sounds.
* Bivizmi tries that.
<AshnabisNarrator> Weird, ghostly sounds fill the room.
<Katenzhi> Anything different?
* Bivizmi tries to speak, but the words come out only slowly and with effort.
<Bivizmi> Hard ... to ... talk.
<Katenzhi> Thaaaat's what I thought.
<Katenzhi> You ok?
<Bivizmi> Think ... so. Fos is ... gone.
<Katenzhi> Yeah.
<Katenzhi> It doesn't like to cast anything but Divination.
<Katenzhi> It gets all weird when you try to.
<Katenzhi> But for that it's super efficient.
<AshnabisNarrator> Katenzhi, the world turns back to its normal colours and you can see normally again.
<Bivizmi> Your .. eyes.
<Bivizmi> Back.
<Katenzhi> Man...
* Katenzhi rubs them a bit and blinks a lot
* Katenzhi will get Bivizmi a glass of water for when she comes down.
<Katenzhi> Just relax, it'll pass soon.
<AshnabisNarrator> A moment later, Bivizmi relaxes.
<Bivizmi> That was very weird.
* Bivizmi coughs several times as if clearing her throat of some blockage.
<Katenzhi> Yeah.
* Katenzhi hands her the water.
<Katenzhi> Not exactly what I was expecting.
<Bivizmi> What were you expecting?
<Katenzhi> I have no idea.
<Katenzhi> Visons, maybe?
<Katenzhi> It was more like just a hyper-reality.
<Bivizmi> Well, now what do we do?
* Katenzhi shrugs.
<Katenzhi> You're the one who wanted it. Do you think you can sell it?
<Katenzhi> It seems useful.
<Bivizmi> Is there more of it? Where did you find it?
* Bivizmi starts taking more notes.
* Katenzhi will tell her the general area where it was found.
<Katenzhi> Again, I wasn't there myself.
<Katenzhi> I have two more back at my boat.
<Bivizmi> Well, to sell it, we'd need a lot more than that. And we'd need to figure out about some of these effects.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Bivizmi> It may be that we're just not used to it yet.
<Katenzhi> But hey, at least we know it's real.
<Bivizmi> Yes.
<Bivizmi> All right ... so, partners?
* Katenzhi grins.
<Katenzhi> Sounds good to me.
<Katenzhi> I can talk to my friends and maybe we can take another trip out there.
<Bivizmi> All right. I may go to see it myself. But we need to keep a little bit quiet about its properties, at least for now.
<Bivizmi> This is the sort of thing that causes panic.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> If we go, do you want to come with? Might be easier.
<Bivizmi> Sure. That sounds great. I mean, your friends already know it's there, so as long as they're all right with it.
<Katenzhi> I'll talk to them as soon as I get a chance. And I'll try to keep it quiet.
* Bivizmi smiles.
<Bivizmi> Talk soon, then.

Veznara and Katenzhi talk about the plant


* Veznara goes off in search of Katenzhi
* Katenzhi is very likely either on her boat or at a tavern.
<Katenzhi> (Take your pick ;) )
<Veznara> (Wherever we can have a chat more privately... boat?)
<Katenzhi> (Sure)
* Veznara approaches Katenzhi's boat, then
* Katenzhi is going over current inventory below decks while Jimba is out hunting.
<Veznara> Hello?
* Katenzhi will poke her head up after a few moments.
<Katenzhi> Oh hey!
<Katenzhi> What's up, Veznara?
<Veznara> Katenzhi! Hello.
<Veznara> Are you here all alone?
<Katenzhi> Yeah, just doing some inventory. You want to come up?
<Veznara> Yes, thank you.
* Veznara makes her way 'up' (a gangplank?)
* Katenzhi will help you up the plank.
<Katenzhi> (I think so!)
<Veznara> Ah, thank you. I'm not used to the naval life. :)
<Veznara> I am working on it, though!
<Katenzhi> No problem. It takes a while to get your sea legs.
<Katenzhi> Even on a river.
<Veznara> So you're doing inventory?
<Katenzhi> Yeah, just seeing what we've sold and what we haven't. It's boring but it needs doing.
<Veznara> Ah. Well, I don't want to interrupt... I did have something to talk to you about, though, if you can take a break.
<Katenzhi> I will take any excuse to. Want a drink?
<Veznara> Thanks!
* Katenzhi will get soe wine and pour two cups.
* Veznara picks one up and salutes Katenzhi
<Veznara> Cheers!
* Katenzhi will toast with you happily
<Katenzhi> So what's on you mind?
<Veznara> Well, it's about those plants we found on the proposed lighthouse site.
<Veznara> You seem to know something about them. Could you tell me more?
* Katenzhi stops mid-sip for a moment.
<Katenzhi> Ummm... sure.
<Veznara> (Sense Motive? :D )
<Katenzhi> I was actually gonna talk to you about them. Well, you and everyone else.
<Katenzhi> (lol, you just caught her off guard ;) )
<Katenzhi> I have a friend who processes fos. She's the one who originally told me about them. She found a scroll that talked about them and wanted to know if I'd ever seen them.
<Veznara> Oh yes, you mentioned something about that at the time, I think.
<Katenzhi> Yeah. So yesterday I brought some of if down to her and she processed it into a few batches of powder.
<Katenzhi> And we tried it.
<Katenzhi> I think I might have figured out what it does.
<Veznara> Oh? So what does it do?
<Katenzhi> How much do you know about magical schools?
<Veznara> A bit. I have studied them somewhat, but I'm no expert.
<Katenzhi> That's fine. You know the basics, though? Magic is divided into a bunch of different schools based on its effects.
<Veznara> Divination, Enchantment, and so on.
<Katenzhi> Exactly.
<Katenzhi> One of those is divination. Scrying, identifying, that sort of thing.
<Katenzhi> This plant has some sort of affinity for it, I think. It... well for lack of a better word it "Likes" casting it.
<Katenzhi> It seems to be much more efficient at it.
<Katenzhi> But try casting something else... and it gets nasty.
<Veznara> Ah. Yes, you did say before it was supposed to have fortune-telling properties.
<Veznara> But I hope you didn't have any bad experience!
<Veznara> What does "nasty" mean, in this context?
<Katenzhi> Nothing worse than some other things I've tried. It fades quick enough.
<Katenzhi> But she's interested in possibly trying to market it. I was hoping to convince the group to go back there with me and her to investigate it some more.
<Veznara> Ah. Well, I'm afraid there's a complication... that's why I wanted to talk to you, actually.
<Veznara> I have it on good authority that the territory is going to claim that land after all.
<Katenzhi> Shit.
<Katenzhi> When?
* Veznara shrugs
<Veznara> I don't know. I've just been told that it's coming.
<Veznara> I doubt it will be too long, but I really can't say.
<Veznara> I expect that our surveying it for a "lighthouse" was just a pretext.
<Katenzhi> Yeah. SOunds like someone else knows it's there.
<Katenzhi> Well... that's not great news. Maybe we can get up there and get enough to cultivate before they drop the net.
<Veznara> Yes, sooner rather than later, I think.
<Katenzhi> Yeah.
<Katenzhi> Do you think people would be willing to go back? Maybe tomorrow?
<Veznara> I suppose I can - we'll have to ask the others.
<Veznara> I'm not certain that this plant is the reason, mind you. But after what you said, it seems like a strong motivation.
<Veznara> The question is, though, who else would know about it?
<Katenzhi> Beats me.
<Veznara> Well, Atsa didn't seem to make a big deal about it.
<Veznara> Hmmm.
<Katenzhi> Atsa?
<Veznara> Oh, yes. Didn't we mention that? We met her while we were surveying the area, shortly after we were attacked by those creatures.
<Katenzhi> Oh right.
<Veznara> But we were speculating that the village must know something about it. She certainly did, at least enough to say that it caused hallucinations.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> Ok. Well, I'll need to get word to everyone to meet me at the boat tomorrow. And I'll need to let Bivizmi know that the timetable has been sped up.
<Veznara> Bivizmi? That's the person who told you to be on the lookout for this, correct?
<Katenzhi> Yeah
<Katenzhi> We're going in on it 50/50, but I'm willing to split my share with everyone. You guys were the ones who found it after all.
* Veznara smiles
<Veznara> That's generous of you.
<Veznara> I'm more interested in finding out what's going on.
<Veznara> Though I'll still accept a share, of course. :)
<Katenzhi> Yeah, that would be a nice side benefit.
<Katenzhi> Heh
<Katenzhi> I bet
<Katenzhi> ;)
<Katenzhi> Well, I'm glad you came to see me about it. I should get going if I'm gonna talk to everyone before nighttime.
<Veznara> I'm glad too. :)
<Veznara> I'll leave you to it, then.
<Veznara> Thanks for the drink - see you tomorrow!
<Katenzhi> (Good there?)
<Veznara> (Sure!)
<Katenzhi> See you then!


Daifan and Llillilli sneak around Galdai Ebesnata's plantation and find some disturbing things


<AshnabisGM> Daifan, you are planning to go and investigate the plantation of Galdai Ebesnata, with assistance from Llillilli. If your information is correct, the shipment of budal could be arriving soon, and you hope to learn more about the situation they will be entering into.
<AshnabisGM> You set out towards her plantation, which is located about five kilometers out of town, east of the Colony Road. You can follow the road for some distance before you have to turn off near a large willow tree and take a less well-trodden path.
* Daifan will have made a plan with Llillilli, at least, regardine when we are doing this (early evening)
<AshnabisGM> It'll take you a couple of hours to walk there, so setting out in the early evening would get you there after dark, if that's your aim.
<Daifan> We should be careful not to be seen if we can.... If we are, we can say that...you are showing me some ways of navigating from landmarks and we got turned around?
<Daifan> does that make sense?
* Llillilli shrugs
<Llillilli> Sure.
<Daifan> okay
<Daifan> When we are there.... I have soimething I have borrowed which shoudl help me get closer, if you can keep a watch
<AshnabisGM> The night is warm and the air is still and humid. You hear the humming of insects and the occasional screech of a night bird as you make your way along the path.
<Llillilli> What is it?
<Daifan> a magic mask.
<Llillilli> Huh.
<Llillilli> Okay
<Daifan> it helsp you be not noticed, and impersonate people if you need to... in cse there are any guards or workers
<Llillilli> Sounds good
* Daifan nods
<AshnabisGM> The area of Galdai’s large plantation is marked off with a wooden fence - not a particularly difficult one to surmount, however, only intended as a demarcation of the boundary, perhaps.
* Llillilli isn't sure why you need her to be here if you have this magic mask but ok
* Daifan is not wearing their armour so they can be more quiet and move around more easily, but has brought a small bag
<Daifan> [q] I know this is supposed to be near the fields.... we shoudl stay as far away from the hosue as possible
<AshnabisGM> Okay - so you're climbing over the fence?
<Llillilli> (seems like)
<Llillilli> (I'm wearing mine)
<AshnabisGM> You climb over and can make your way stealthily towards the central clearing where you're given to understand the buildings are located. Make Stealth checks, to see how well that goes for you.
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+9
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 26 ].
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+6
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 17 ].
<AshnabisGM> (is that including the bonus from the mask?)
<Daifan> (no)
<AshnabisGM> (ok)
* Daifan can put that on though and get a +5 ;p
<AshnabisGM> First and foremost, through the trees, you can see a large manor house, presumably where the princess stays when she is not at her home in town. Currently there are no obvious signs of habitation there - no lights burning or smoke from the chimneys.
<AshnabisGM> You are also able to see, at some distance from the manor, a number of other wooden structures, more simple and more hastily erected. You can make your way towards those.
* Daifan will steer well clear of the manor, yes
* Daifan is not any rush though, I'd rather be careful :x
<Llillilli> (yeah)
<AshnabisGM> You can make Perception checks as you approach that area.
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+8
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 27 ].
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+7
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 21 ].
<AshnabisGM> (nice!)
<AshnabisGM> From your position, you can see a barn, of a typical type that might be used in fos farming for drying the harvested plants and storing tools and the like. You can observe a small hut that is located closer to the manor house, and has some smoke coming from the central hole in its roof - perhaps the home of a guard or other servant.
<AshnabisGM> As you keep watch, you both see a man emerge from around the side of the house, walking at a leisurely pace. He is young, fit, and carries a spear - presumably a watchman on patrol.
<Llillilli> <w> what's he guarding
<AshnabisGM> But due to your good Perception checks, you can take cover before he spots you.
* Daifan will se if they can get a good look at his face ;p
<AshnabisGM> Sure, with a 27, you can have had a pretty clear look at him.
<Daifan> (good good)
<Daifan> (does the barn look new?)
<AshnabisGM> Once the guard passes out of sight again, you can make your way closer to the buildings.
<Daifan> (or have we not found what we're looking for yet?)
<AshnabisGM> No, the barn looks like it's been there a while. But you can also see three other structures whose purpose is not immediately clear to you. There is a large building, long and low, with narrow windows and a single door. There is another building that is similar in style, but much smaller in size. And there is another building of two stories in height, not especially large, with no windows.
<AshnabisGM> Those all look relatively newly constructed.
* Daifan frowns
<Daifan> {q} can you gve me some kind of sign if he comes back?
<Llillilli> (q) I'll make a sound like a bogwiggle
* Daifan raises an eyebrow, then nods
<Daifan> (Where has the guy gone?)
<AshnabisGM> He walked across this clearing area and swung back around the other side of the manor house.
<AshnabisGM> It's a fairly big area so if he's making a circuit, it would probably take him at least 15 or 20 minutes to come back this way, if not longer.
<Daifan> (okay, as long as he's passed bthrough already, then I'll go over to the buildings
<AshnabisGM> Okay, make another Stealth check as you approach them. Llillilli, are you staying back in the bushes to keep watch?
* Daifan will try the building with a single door first, and have a listen at the door before they open it
<Llillilli> (yup)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+11
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 27 ].
<AshnabisGM> okay, cool
<AshnabisGM> The single-story buildings, both the larger and smaller ones, have a bar that can be used to lock the door from the outside - simple enough to open from this side of the door.
<AshnabisGM> You can make a Perception check to listen at the door.
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+8
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 22 ].
<AshnabisGM> It seems to be totally silent inside.
* Daifan will go in then, closing the door behind them
<Daifan> (if the bar is removable, I'll bring it inside with me and lean it against the door on this side)
<AshnabisGM> Yes, it's removable. You can do that.
* Daifan will have a look around? I suppose I might need a candle or a lantern or somethign since there are no windows :p
<AshnabisGM> There are narrow ones
<AshnabisGM> Just the two-story building has no windows
<Daifan> (oh right - then I'll liove by moonlight if I can manage)
<AshnabisGM> Yeah, you can see enough to make your way around carefully.
<AshnabisGM> Inside, you find that the building is set up like a dormitory, with a series of simple wooden beds, about fifty in total. The building also contain a basic dining room with benches on either side of a table, and a few other amenities such as an area for bathing, some storage cupboards, and so on.
<AshnabisGM> It seems fairly basic, but not *bad*. Like it isn't a prison, but it isn't a fancy guest house either.
<Daifan> (so not the *worst* conditions other then being locked in :p)
<AshnabisGM> Right.
* Daifan feels a little better about that at leasy... a little :p
* Daifan will check that windowless building next, leaving the door to this one as they found it
<AshnabisGM> Okay. Around the side of the windowless two-story building, you can see that there are several large crates stacked up. They have been opened, and whatever was in them presumably unpacked.
<AshnabisGM> The crates are stuffed with straw, which is also strewn around the area. Presumably it was packing material for something fragile or valuable that was inside them. They bear a stamp on the outside that indicates which way is up, and some other markers you don’t recognize.
* Daifan will try and remember the symbols nso they can try and copy them later for someone who can read
<AshnabisGM> (okay)
<AshnabisGM> Next to one of the crates, you find some broken glass, very fine and translucent (although unfortunately shattered).
* Daifan will take a piece
<AshnabisGM> Okay. It's hard to tell with it being broken, but you think it could have been part of a vessel or container. Not like something flat like a window or the like.
<Daifan> (yeah I figured)
* Daifan will go inside wafter looking around outside for a bit
<AshnabisGM> Okay. When you open the door to the two-story building, you hear the sound of a bell ringing, piercing the quiet night air.
<Daifan> @_@
* Daifan will hiiiiide pronto
<AshnabisGM> There is some commotion from the hut - probably another guard who was resting but now is coming to see what is going on. You can make a Stealth check. Are you trying to hide outside the building, or ducking inside to hide there?
<Daifan> (actually. I'll make myself look like guard 1)
<AshnabisGM> Okay.
<AshnabisGM> You do so. And then what - stand outside the building to wait for Guard 2?
* Daifan will head over to meet him
* Guard2 sees you there and comes over in your direction.
<Guard2> What's going on?
<Daifan> My fault - I thought it looked like the bar had slipped\, so I tried to fix it.
<Guard2> Pft. You need to be more careful. You know we aren't supposed to go in the buildings.
* Guard2 is pretty young, a teenager really, and just looks tired and grumpy at being woken up.
<Daifan> yeah., no kidding -_-
<Daifan> It should stop soon though tright?
<AshnabisGM> It stops after 1 round so yeah, it's probably already stopped by the time he gets there.
<Daifan> (nm then)
<Guard2> Where's your spear?
<Daifan> Go back to bed.... sorry I woke you up -_-
<Daifan> I dropped it by the building when the alarm went off :p
* Guard2 just sort of shakes his head in a 'typical, really' kind of way.
* Daifan shrugs haplessly
<Daifan> Not my night.
<Guard2> I'm going back to bed. Try not to trip over your own feet, or get eaten by a slurk.
<Daifan> I'll try.
* Guard2 heads off, hopefully to go back to bed.
* Daifan still wants to take a quick peek inside the building but knows they really don't have much time
* Daifan will head back over to 'retrieve his spear'
<AshnabisGM> Okay, you can do so. And peek inside while you're there? It will be dark inside this place, since there's no windows, but maybe you can prop the door open to let in some light.
<Daifan> (yes)
<Daifan> (also, candle?)
<AshnabisGM> You can light a candle, sure.
<Daifan> (keen)
* Daifan really hopes that spell only happens once but hey I can probably BS it again if I need to :x
<AshnabisGM> Okay. The alarm does not sound a second time. You peer inside the dark room, trying to make out what you're able to see by the light of the candle. You find a room with shelves lined with glass jars of various shapes and sizes, and what at first you think is a mirror on one wall, but as you draw closer, you realize it's actually a window looking into the next room.
* Daifan looks through to see what's in there?
<AshnabisGM> The next room contains a bed, with some chains at each of the four posts that could be used to restrain someone in a spread-eagled position.
<Daifan> O_O
<AshnabisGM> Whoever was at this window would have a good view of whatever was going on in there.
* Daifan is Shook
<AshnabisGM> Okay - do you want to look around further, or just get out?
<Daifan> (I mean no literally but like there's all my worst fears fulfilled)
<Daifan> (How long has it been?)
<AshnabisGM> (only a few minutes)
<Daifan> (and was that alarm loud enough to bring the guard running back?)
<AshnabisGM> No - the alarm sound travels only about 180 feet in quiet conditions, so he probably didn't even hear it.
<AshnabisGM> Only the one in the hut nearby did.
<Daifan> (sweeet. Then I will look around more)
<AshnabisGM> well, there's a staircase leading up to the second floor, if you want to look there.
<Daifan> (yes)
<AshnabisGM> Okay. You can make your way up the stairs, again moving carefully by candlelight. In the upper floor, you find an office, or at least that's what it looks like. A desk, chair, some shelves with books and scrolls.
<Daifan> (how fancy does it look?)
<Daifan> (Fancy enough for a princess?)
<AshnabisGM> It looks practical, not overly fancy. The chair is just a wooden chair, the desk is just a plain desk.
<Daifan> (okay)
<Daifan> (well wtf do I know about princesses. Too bad I can;'t read the books or scrolls, and I'm not dumb enough to take any)
<Daifan> (tat's the whole top floor though?)
<AshnabisGM> Yes, that's the whole of the upper floor.
<AshnabisGM> It doesn't look heavily used. Like the desk is neat, not covered in papers, there's a pen and ink but not open. Maybe it's just set up and prepared for someone, not currently in use.
<Daifan> (yeah)
* Daifan won't touch anything, and then will leave :x
<AshnabisGM> Okay. Checking on the third building, or just getting tf out of here?
<Daifan> (I'm just goign to take a quick look in the windows there, in case it is alarmed also)
<AshnabisGM> Okay. You can peek in the window and from what you're able to see, it looks like another, smaller dormitory. Like maybe only about 10 beds in this one.
<Daifan> (okay)
* Daifan will get out then, still trying to be careful/quiet
<AshnabisGM> Okay - you can sneak back over to Llillilli in the bushes.
<Daifan> {q} This is...a bad place.
<Daifan> :|
<Daifan> {q} we shoud go.
<Llillilli> Alright
<AshnabisGM> (do you still have the guard's face on btw? ;)
<Daifan> (oh, heh. I'll say not when I come back over to her)
<AshnabisGM> (okay)
* Daifan looks angry
* Daifan will head back out though
<Daifan> (of the compound, sneaky sneaky)

Llillilli and Daifan confer on the walk home


* Daifan will wait until we are further away from the buildings and guards, back towards the fence
<Daifan> The low buildings... arwe living areas. Not too bad, really
* Llillilli nods.
<Daifan> the other one...
<Llillilli> What was it?
<Daifan> tyhere is a room in there to tie someone down, and a window for someone else in there to watch and make notes
<Daifan> :|
<Llillilli> I don't understand
<Llillilli> Why would they need that?
<Daifan> very neat and tidy, with lots of... I don't know. magic or alchemy things, and a little desk upstairs to write everything down :|
<Daifan> they don't need it at all.
<Llillilli> It sounda like... a dungeon or something
<Llillilli> (sounds)
<Daifan> They want to be able to watch what is happening to someone whoo is chained down...
<Daifan> I think probably it is supposed to be some kind of research
<Llillilli> ... THat is a bad place
<Daifan> to study .... who knows. Probably to learn more about magic or fos :p
<Daifan> yes.
<Llillilli> They can't be allowed to do this.
<Daifan> so the Corpseborn, mostly, will work the fields, but also thery will be used for this.
<Daifan> I know there are 60 of them, more or less. The one building, the big one, would hold most of those, and the other building will hold ten or so?
<Daifan> But... I don't know, there is something else to it.
<Daifan> and we are not people
<Daifan> who would stop them?
<Daifan> out here on her own lands....
<Daifan> who will care?
<Llillilli> Accidents happen
<Llillilli> I care!
* Llillilli growls
<Daifan> I know
<Daifan> I care.
<Daifan> Other corpsebiorn will also, but it is hard for any of us to act. But we will figure something out.
<Llillilli> When are they coming?
<Daifan> soon. They areprobably on their way.
<Llillilli> Someone should burn this place to the ground.
* Daifan smiles at that
<Daifan> I thought about just... dropping the candle
<Daifan> but the woman who owns this place is a very powerful mystic
<Daifan> and I don't know enougyh about magic to protect myself or anyone else form that
* Llillilli throws her hands up and growls with frustration.
<Llillilli> Jimba knows pirates
<Llillilli> We could stop the boats.
<Llillilli> Maybe.
<Daifan> What do you think pirates would do with a ship full of Corpseboirn criminals?
<Llillilli> I don't know. recruit them?
* Daifan looks dubious
<Daifan> I would not be so hopeful about that
<Daifan> Pirates are still... not corpseborn.
* Llillilli turns silent and sullen.
<Daifan> I'm sorry :/
<Daifan> We will figure something out
<Daifan> And...it isn't only on us.

Jimba receives some money and an offer from Liraula of the Black Stork


<AshnabisNarrator> Jimba, you are hanging around your boat one afternoon, idly doing some light repairs and otherwise keeping her in good shape, when you see a young girl approach the ship. You don't recognize her, but she looks to be Aummesh by her garb, and perhaps a dozen years old.
* Girl is dressed in a simple unornamented dashi. Her hair is short-cropped and wavy. She looks at you strangely.
<Girl> Hello.
<Jimba> Hello yourself, young miss. How do you do?
<Girl> Ah, good.
<Girl> You are Yimma of the Huggip?
* Girl pronounces your lineage name with what is surely the most adorable mispronunciation you've heard.
<Jimba> More or less, yes.
* Girl looks confused.
* Jimba smiles encouragingly.
<Girl> Are you Yimma of the Huggip?
<Jimba> Yes, I'm [Jimba of the Ghughife with an Aummesh pronunciation].
<Girl> I am Shiri of the Wartibar.
<Girl> This is for you.
* Girl holds out something small in her hand.
* Jimba raises an eyebrow and reaches out to take it.
* Girl hands you a wooden token, around the size of your thumbnail, on which the image of a black stork has been burned on one side.
* Girl is now known as Shiri
<Shiri> Take this to my lady.
<Jimba> (Meaning Liraula?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (you can only presume so)
<Jimba> As you say.
* Jimba will flip her a fang for her trouble.
* Shiri smiles and runs off, pleased at her accomplishment.
* Jimba will go and see Liraula as soon as conveniently possible, then.
<AshnabisNarrator> The Black Stork is in port at Kaskind, which is a little unusual - her home port is down the coast in Timiil, but when she's here in Kaskind, it's impossible to miss.
<AshnabisNarrator> The Black Stork is a large, sleek, two-masted brigantine with secondary oars. It is so dark brown in color, it may as well be black. Atop it lies a great deep golden coloured flag on which the black stork emblem sits at the centre. The ship is abuzz with activity.
* Jimba sighs, seeing it.
<Jimba> Someday...
* Jimba will approach and ask to see Liraula.
* Liraula is a tall, slender woman of middle years, still very striking and attractive. Her long steel-grey hair is tied in dozens of tiny braids that fall to her waist and are bound back in a thick bundle at the nape of her neck.
* Liraula has a teal blue sash tied around her chest, and a dashi of a somewhat darker shade tied high. Her ears are pierced multiple times, and she has an assortment of gold rings in them.
<Liraula> Jimba. That was quick.
<Jimba> It wouldn't do to keep a friend waiting. I assumed it was important, with a messenger and all.
<Liraula> I'm glad that Shiri found you. I try to give her things to do she can be good at. She's a kind girl, but not too bright.
<Liraula> So, are you going to just stand there on land like a fool?
<Jimba> Here I am, so I'd say she did well enough.
<Jimba> Permission to board, Captain?
* Jimba grins.
<Liraula> Granted.
<Liraula> We'll go to my cabin. We have business to discuss.
* Jimba will board the ship.
<Jimba> I'm flattered, but money's not that tight yet.
* Jimba will follow anyway, smiling.
* Liraula laughs.
<Liraula> You're flattering yourself.
<Liraula> Also Bohin would kill you.
<Jimba> Well, that's a storm I'd prefer not to weather, alas.
* Liraula enters the cabin and waits for you to pass through, then closes the door.
<Jimba> Something wrong?
<Liraula> Not at all.
<Liraula> I am happy to report that Tertu and Sezlo Vunughi have been successfully extricated from their situation. Safely deposited discreetly at Fort Kaskind last night.
<Jimba> Good to hear. :)
<Jimba> I trust the transaction was none too difficult?
<Liraula> Well ... don't ask too many questions, but no, no severe difficulties.
<Liraula> And, with an appropriate fee paid, I'm pleased to say I'll be making some much-needed additions to the fleet.
<Jimba> Oh?
<Liraula> Definitely! These rivers aren't going to pirate themselves, after all.
<Jimba> And we can't have them go unpirated.
<Liraula> Right. Say, do you know much about Basai?
<Jimba> Lot of mystics, bunch of cheap bastards.
<Jimba> (Sorry, had to look up my correct stereotypes)
<Jimba> Don't know much about the nation. Why do you ask?
<Liraula> Hmm, cheap seems right. Sounds like Yeggun's type. I hear he's working with a bunch of mystics living up the coast at Charadip.
<Liraula> Seems like there's some complaint between them and Kaskind, not sure what that's about.
<Jimba> Who doesn't have a complaint with Kaskind?
* Liraula laughs.
<Liraula> Careful, they'll think you're one of us. Which reminds me.
<Liraula> This is for you.
* Liraula hands you a small burlap sack that jingles with coin.
<Jimba> Oh, hey now.
* Jimba will take the sack.
<Jimba> Thank you kindly.
<Liraula> You make a good middleman. Just honest-looking enough that people think you're a bit slow, but just clever-looking enough that people don't know for sure.
<Jimba> Happy things worked out well.
* Jimba grins.
<Jimba> I'll take that in the spirit in which I assume it was intended.
<Liraula> You be sure to do that.
<Jimba> So, these Basai.
<Jimba> And Yeggun.
<Jimba> I assume you're bringing them up to me for a reason?
<Liraula> Yeah, I don't know what's up with that, but I think that was what the stuff was with these Hasmalan nobles.
<Jimba> Ah, okay.
<Liraula> And you know, Ombesh don't often make a lot of sense to me.
<Jimba> Well, something to keep in mind.
<Liraula> You know I could use someone like you, in the future.
<Jimba> ...my immediately response was, "I could be used," but I think we covered that.
* Liraula laughs.
<Jimba> I'm happy to help however, though. Middlemanning suited me fine.
* Liraula nods.
<Jimba> Not forever, mind, but I can be patient.
<Jimba> Anything in particularly you need handled?
<Jimba> (in particular, rather)
<Liraula> Well, look, you want a captaincy in the Fleet, we can talk about that down the line. You have to wait your turn though. That's a line you don't want to cut into lightly.
<Liraula> But like you say, you're more useful where you are. Well-connected.
<Jimba> Oh, hey, I'm not trying to take anyone's place.
<Liraula> And Bohin likes the way you've handled yourself. Which matters to a simple girl like me, that her man approves.
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> I can sympathize.
<Liraula> I'm not proposing anything like a formal agreement, you understand, but perhaps you'd like to make yourself available to the Fleet on an occasional basis, as needed, to serve our interests.
<Jimba> Well, sure, but you didn't really need to specifically ask.
<Jimba> I'm genuinely happy to help when and where I can.
<Liraula> But you understand, right now we're on good terms with Fort Kaskind, but that's not an inevitability. And it means that, as long as you carry that token Shiri gave you, that's you saying that you're on our side, if it comes to sides.
* Jimba frowns.
<Jimba> I want to say this right, and I don't mean any disrespect, so please bear with me a moment.
<Jimba> I value your friendship, and not just...
* Jimba shakes the sack of coins
<Jimba> Monetarily.
<Liraula> Mmhmm.
<Jimba> I wouldn't say I'm particularly loyal to the Fort, and I'm more loyal to you than them, I'd say, but, if it comes to sides, I think I'm on the side of, well, the most benefit for the most people?
<Jimba> I think you have a positive effect for the people of Kaskind as a whole. I'm with you so long as that's the case.
<Jimba> Same as I'm happy to work for the Fort, so long as I think they help, overall.
<Liraula> No one's asking you to do what's wrong. I will note that that five thousand to save two noblewomen could have been used to benefit a lot of people in the Fort. And now, that's going to help a lot of people in the Black Stork.
<Liraula> That's all I'm saying.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> And I think more people benefit from the Black Stork having that money.
<Jimba> Hence my coming to you.
* Liraula nods.
<Liraula> All right then. Let's leave it there.
<Liraula> You hang on to that token - it'll serve you well if you get into the right kinds of trouble.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> I hope I'm not coming off as ungrateful here.
<Liraula> And come by anytime, no introduction necessary. The Stork is open to you now.
<Jimba> I'm glad to work with and for you.
<Liraula> I'll be happy to introduce you around.
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> Thank you.
<Jimba> I'll keep my ear open at the Fort for anything that might be of interest.
<Liraula> I'm confident you will.
<Liraula> All right, Jimba, we've been in here long enough to arouse the suspicions of the crew, so we should move along.
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> I wouldn't want to cause trouble with that fine man of yours.

Thelef proposes to Llillilli


<AshnabisGM> Okay, Llillilli's up :)
<AshnabisGM> Llillilli, you are doing some training after work hours, practicing with your pfethes as Fifelus has instructed you.
<AshnabisGM> You are working on your footwork in difficult terrain, in the muddy area at the shore near where the boat is moored. Your feet and legs are covered in mud as you practice turning and striking swiftly without slipping.
<AshnabisGM> You make a swift stride, spinning as if to strike at an opponent approaching from your rear, sending up a splash of mud, and find Thelef standing there watching you.
* Thelef takes a step back to avoid getting splashed. He wears a coppery red dashi and has his hair tied back in a knot.
* Llillilli is filthy.
<Llillilli> Oh.
<Llillilli> Sorry.
<Thelef> Don’t let me interrupt - it’s very impressive. You're making a lot of progress, it seems.
* Llillilli shrugs.
<Llillilli> I guess.
<Llillilli> No one's tried to kill me yet so I dunno.
<Thelef> Well, just give it time :)
<Thelef> Can we speak for a few moments, privately?
<Llillilli> Uh, sure
<Llillilli> How privately?
<Thelef> Maybe on board the ship, if that's all right with you?
<Llillilli> Sure.
* Llillilli will rinse off some of the mud in the river on the way.
* Thelef will follow you up the gangplank.
<Llillilli> I don't think anyone else is home.
* Thelef nods.
<Thelef> Well. I’ve been thinking about what you said - that in order to get my aunts off my back, what I needed was to find someone I don't hate.
<Thelef> And I gave it a good deal of thought. And what I eventually decided was...
<Thelef> Llillilli, I don’t hate you.
<Llillilli> You don't?
<Thelef> Actually I like you. And we understand one another, where we’re coming from, and our goals are in the same direction.
<Llillilli> Uh. Okay...
<Thelef> So... Would you be willing to help me with this?
<Llillilli> With... what are you asking me?
* Llillilli is in disbelief
<Thelef> Well... I guess I'm asking if you would marry me. By .. by human standards. Obviously it wouldn't mean we would really be married - not how we both understand it.
<Thelef> I realize this is a swamp of problems you might not want to step into, and I would understand if you say no.
<Llillilli> What would we have to do?
<Thelef> Uh... you mean what steps would be next? Or more long-term plans...?
<Llillilli> Both I guess.
<Thelef> Well, first I would need to bring you to be introduced to my aunt Kiklatsa. My father's older sister - she would be the one who would normally be making wedding plans for me. We would have to convince her that you're the match I've chosen, and anyone else is never going to be as good for me as you.
<Llillilli> Okay...
<Llillilli> How do we do that?
<Llillilli> Most people don't like me.
<Thelef> Well, I'll tell her I'm in love with you. I'll mostly be the one who has to sell it, I expect.
<Thelef> Then, assuming she agrees to the marriage, we'd have a wedding ceremony. After that, well, I guess we could work out the details. I wouldn't be expecting any... ah... consummation of the marriage, of course. I don't know whether you would want to live with me, or continue on with living here. We would be able to be flexible on that, I think, because of your work requiring you to travel
<Thelef> a lot.
<Llillilli> Right...
<Llillilli> Well. Nobody's busting down my door trying to marry me or get me married... but I guess this means I wouldn't ever have to worry about it either
* Llillilli says thoughtfully
* Thelef nods
<Llillilli> So... sure, why not...
* Thelef smiles, looking relieved (and a bit nervous)
<Thelef> Great :)
<Thelef> Thank you, Llillilli. You're a good friend.
<Llillilli> Well... you're welcome.
<Llillilli> I never got married before.
<Llillilli> I mean, obviously.
* Llillilli laughs nervously.
<Thelef> Me neither :)
<Llillilli> I've never been to a wedding.
<Llillilli> Do I need to have make -up?
<Thelef> Let's worry about convincing my aunt first. Probably for that, it would be good to dress... more formally. You don't need to pretend to be what you aren't, though. Whatever you are comfortable with.
<Llillilli> You mean I should wear a top.
<Thelef> Right. And maybe not be covered in mud :)
* Thelef says with a smile.
<Llillilli> I can probably do that.
<Llillilli> And... pfethe?
<Thelef> Probably leaving them at the door would be fine.
<Llillilli> I guess I could do that too.
* Thelef nods
<Thelef> Thank you. Again, I really appreciate this. I'll try not to make it too unpleasant a process.
* Thelef considers and reaches out to shake your hand.
* Llillilli will take it.
<Llillilli> c:
* Thelef will head out, then, leaving you to ponder this new development.

Junan and Lutsi learn about the properties and lore of the pearl, and strike a deal with Ghendalt


<AshnabisNarrator> Junan, your dreams have been mixed of late. On the one hand, the idea of being an old, pathetic man stumbling and spilling your drink has come back more than once. But then that dream passes, and another one, the one where you sell magic items for a fortune and live the easy life, takes its place.
<AshnabisNarrator> Ghendalt has arranged for you and Lutsi to meet him privately this evening. Lutsi is coming over to your house in advance, to try to figure out what he should say.
* Lutsi seems pretty nervous when he shows up at your place.
<Lutsi> Hey Junan.
<Junan> Hi Lutsi
<Junan> You ready for this?
<Lutsi> Uh, not really.
<Lutsi> You've known this Ghendalt a long time? Do you think he can be trusted?
<Junan> I've known him about as long as I've been in Kaskind
<Junan> as for trusting him, he's a business man... likes to make money and doesn't like to risk it unless its worth it.
<Lutsi> What should we be asking for? What does he want out of this? I just don't know about this.
<Junan> You wanted me to set this up. Calm down and you'll come out fine.
<Lutsi> I know. I know. You're right.
* Lutsi manages to mostly compose himself.
<Junan> Just to be sure, there is nothing else to add from the story you told me... right?
<Junan> no unexpected twists and such?
<Lutsi> I swear it. I've told you everything I know.
<Junan> then is should go smoothly
<Junan> you need a drink before we go?
<Lutsi> Ahh ... yeah. Sure.
* Junan will get a cup and poor him some wine from a bottle in the room
* Lutsi downs it, and seems to be at least somewhat more composed.
<Junan> good start
<Junan> Remember I'm here to make sure this works out for everyone
<Lutsi> Thanks. I will.
* Junan will head off to me with the Senator with Lutsi
<AshnabisNarrator> You travel to Ghendalt's house. The doorwoman immediately ushers you in and through a hallway to a small but well-decorated sitting room. Ghendalt is there, along with a woman who you recognize as Funa Ildondi.
* AshnabisNarrator is now known as Ghendalt
* Ghendalt smiles warmly as you enter.
* Balinteze is now known as Funa
* Junan smiles back
* Funa is a thin woman perhaps around forty, but with a full head of waist-length, straight white hair that flows freely down her back. She is wearing a dark green skirt and a green and grey silk blouse, with a bronze pendant around her neck.
<Ghendalt> Thank you for coming. Junan, I believe you've met my colleague Funa of the Ildondi? And you must be Lutsi. I am Senator Ghendalt Rumordi.
<Junan> Ghendalt, I'd like to present you my friend Lutsi
* Lutsi smiles and tries his best to stay calm.
<Lutsi> Good evening, Senator.
<Junan> Lutsi, Ghendalt Rumordi
<Ghendalt> I want to acknowledge that it takes considerable courage to trust me, given the stakes here - and that I take that trust seriously.
<Junan> I wasn't expecting anyone else to be with you, Ghendalt. Funa, a pleasure to see you again.
<Ghendalt> We get rich neither through idleness, but also not through idly trusting.
* Funa nods politely.
<Ghendalt> Yes, well. Let me explain.
<Ghendalt> The last time you were here, Junan, I cast a simple incantation to detect the presence of magic on your item, and we found it. But I am no expert and would not be qualified to know more. I have asked Funa here as a favor, to assist us in determining its nature. I wanted you to be here to see this process.
<Ghendalt> That way we all work from the same information.
<Ghendalt> Once that is done, we can work out an agreement, just the three of us. If that works for you.
* Lutsi nods.
<Lutsi> Yes. That would work.
<Ghendalt> Funa is a trusted friend, and she also has more than enough money that she doesn't need our little enterprise to make more.
* Funa smiles slightly at that.
<Junan> In that case, Lutsi, you should let Funa take a look at the necklace.
* Lutsi nods.
<Funa> For a friend such as you, Ghendalt, it is no trouble.
* Lutsi pulls it out and hands it over.
* Funa pulls out a pouch of fos and takes a substantial dose.
<Lutsi> Be careful with it.
<Funa> of course.
* Funa takes the necklace in her hands, examining it.
<Funa> First, I am going to try to determine the properties of this item, if I can.
<Junan> its ok Lutzi, she's a mystic.
<Junan> she knows what she's doing
* Funa casts a spell
<Funa> The pearl is a sort of focus for magic. It allows the person bearing it to recall and recast magic they cast earlier. Quite unusual.
<Ghendalt> Hmm, interesting, I have not heard of such a thing.
<Junan> recast it without fos?
<Funa> Yes.
<Funa> I am now going to attempt to learn more about the item's history. This will take longer, but please be silent and don't interrupt.
* Lutsi sits impatiently and tries to be good.
* Junan nods and will get Lutsi a drink
* Funa casts another spell, closing her eyes. The silence stretches on for 10 long minutes, until at last she opens them.
<Funa> Very interesting...
<Funa> This pearl was once in the possession of a hith named Faethu, who was a powerful priest of some kind, many years ago. Faethu was not its first owner, but recovered this item from a human shipwreck - it seems, after some sort of great battle, and then cast it into a cave on an island covered in mists as an offering to a great serpent who dwelt within its depths.
* Funa recounts
<Lutsi> Sednidze.
<Lutsi> That's the island.
* Funa passes the necklace back to Lutsi, having completed her casting.
* Ghendalt pulls out a notebook and scribbles a few things down.
<Ghendalt> I know you envoys will remember all that for me, but my memory is not what it once was.
<Ghendalt> Funa, thank you so much for your efforts on our behalf.
<Funa> Of course.
<Ghendalt> Oh, and, please allow me to congratulate you and Vimus on the betrothal of your son. Kirikha's a lovely girl and will make a beautiful bride. She's a fine assistant and will prove an able manager of household business.
* Funa smiles, nodding.
<Ghendalt> Let me get my man to get your cloak.
<Funa> Thank you, I know you will be sad to lose her, but there will be other assistants.
<Ghendalt> True, true.
* Funa receives her cloak and will head out, then, to leave you to your negotiations.
<Ghendalt> Well, gentlemen, it appears that we are, at least potentially, in possession of an item of some value, with the prospect of perhaps more to be had. I am confident that I have multiple buyers for the item and am willing to sell it on your behalf, Lutsi, for a small fee, of which Junan, you would be entitled to a percentage yourself for your time and effort.
<Junan> I don't believe I've met Vimus... not fond of your parties?
<Ghendalt> He's older than Funa by a decade or more, and ... very religious and a bit puritanical. I don't think he likes me much.
<Ghendalt> He's tight with his money too, not the kind to spend in the shop.
<Ghendalt> Kivis, the son, is a work in progress. Young.
<Junan> I'm sure Kirikha is thrilled at the proposal
* Ghendalt tilts his head.
<Ghendalt> Yes, I'm sure.
<Junan> appologies for the distraction, we have business to attend.
<Ghendalt> Indeed.
<Ghendalt> It appears that we are, at least potentially, in possession of an item of some value, with the prospect of perhaps more to be had. I am confident that I have multiple buyers for the item and am willing to sell it on your behalf, Lutsi, for a small fee, of which Junan, you would be entitled to a percentage yourself for your time and effort.
* Lutsi looks over at Junan.
<Junan> its a good offer Lutsi, and we can work out the finer details. If this goes well, it will be seed money to invest in a full expedition.
* Lutsi nods.
<Lutsi> I agree.
<Ghendalt> Going forward, I would be pleased to finance a trip to this misty island, whereby you and any companions you would care to enlist would go to retrieve any further items. Obviously, in that case, you would be taking some physical risk onto yourselves, while the financial risk would be mine.
<Ghendalt> I will admit that a serpent living in a cave in a misty island does not sound *especially* enticing.
<Ghendalt> But sometimes legends are exaggerated. While Funa's magic leads her true, it doesn't tell us much about whether such a creature would even still be alive.
<Junan> its not like she was specific on the many years
<Lutsi> Right. Yeah. Although the locals did say it was cursed.
<Junan> guess we'll make sure we bring a curse-breakers when we go
* Ghendalt smiles.
<Junan> lets get down to the finer details shall we...
* Junan makes a good show of haggling for his friend
* Ghendalt is a much more experienced negotiator than you ... but seems to have a soft spot in his heart for you nonetheless. You suspect he's going a bit easy on you.
* Junan will still make a good Daligashi show of it
<Ghendalt> All right, well. I can have my reckoner draw up the appropriate documents, if that works for you.
* Junan looks at Lutsi
<Lutsi> All right. That sounds good. And the pearl?
<Ghendalt> You can leave it with me tonight - of course I can draw up a receipt - and I will be on the lookout for the right kind of buyer. Which in this market, and given its power, should be no difficulty at all.
<Junan> I'm sure thats fine
<Ghendalt> All right then. Thank you for coming over, gentlemen. It has truly been a pleasure.
<Junan> to the beginning of what will be a very profitable relationship for all involved

Solos

Daifan brings news of the plantation to Balinteze and stays the night with them


<Balinteze> (where do you want to talk to them?)
<Daifan> (well, I don't think I know where to find them outside of work, do I?)
<Daifan> (If I do I mght try and find them sooner rather than later though)
<Balinteze> (well, they live at the fort, so outside of work is still the same place as inside of work, more or less.)
<Daifan> (Yeah, I wasn'ty sure if I woudl be able ti get in as easily outside of work, but I can try)
<Balinteze> (I assume people who live in/around the fort must be able to have visitors, so probably you could just say you're there to see Kemai and assuming the guards don't decide to hassle you, get in that way)
<Daifan> (yeah, or there to see someone, anyway, I don't know if they want to be publically associated woth me as Kemai ;)
<Balinteze> (fair)
<Daifan> (I'm sure I can talk my way in somehow if I need to, I guess)
<Balinteze> (yeah)
<Daifan> (If Daifan can't get in , maybe Zola can ;)
* Balinteze has a room in the servants' quarters, and we'll say you can talk your way in to get there and find them - when would this be, the next day? or did you want to try to go right when you get back, like at 1am or whatever it is)
<Daifan> (I might try, yeah)
<Balinteze> (okay, 1am it is)
<Balinteze> (let's just have you make a diplomacy check to see how talking your way in goes)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+8
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 24 ].
<Balinteze> (okay, no problem :)
* Balinteze will be woken up when you come to their room. Their hair is down and a bit messy from sleep, they have no makeup, and they look younger and more vulnerable this way.
* Daifan will knock on their door
* Balinteze opens the door and looks surprised to see you there
<Balinteze> Oh... is something wrong?
<Daifan> Mmm... Yes.
<Balinteze> come in, we can talk in here.
<Daifan> Thank you...
* Balinteze brings you inside and closes the door. Their room is a simple servant's chamber, a single bed, a chair, small table, chest with presumably some possessions in it, etc.
* Balinteze lights a lamp so we can talk.
* Daifan gives a brief look around but is still preoccupied with what they saw
<Daifan> Here.
* Daifan will give them back the mask.
<Balinteze> thank you. how was the trip?
* Balinteze gestures for you to sit down on the bed if you want.
<Daifan> It was fine. I did need to use it - one of the buildings had some kind of... magical alarm on it
<Balinteze> uh oh - did you get caught? :o
* Daifan will sit and shuck their boots so they can curl thier feet up.
<Daifan> I used the mask, and I convinbced the one guard that came that I was his fellow and was just being a fool. he was tired enough to believe it, and went back to bed.
* Balinteze sits down next to you, having put away the mask in the chest.
<Balinteze> That's good.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> That building.... is very worrying.
<Balinteze> how do you mean?
<Daifan> I did go inside, after
<Daifan> it had no windows, so you know it is nothing good.
* Balinteze nods, listening
<Daifan> ...all the buildings had bars on the doors on the outside, but this was worse
<Daifan> Inside there was a room, with a wimdow into the other room, with all kinds of bottles and vials of... I don't know what.
<Daifan> The window is there so that whoever is in that room can look into the other and watch, and upstairs is a room with a desk and books and scrolls and implements to take notes
<Daifan> And in the other room downstairs is a bed with heavy chains, waiting for some Budal to be put in there and... done whatever to >:|
* Balinteze frowns
<Balinteze> like for someone to be chained to the bed?
<Daifan> Yes.
<Balinteze> ...There is nothing good that that could be for.
<Balinteze> well. Not like this, anyway.
<Daifan> So... I think that the idea that budal are being brought here just to work ion fieolds is a lie, or a cover for somethign much worse.
<Daifan> Indeed.
* Balinteze nods
<Balinteze> We need to do something about it, but I'm not sure what.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Do you think Kikash would be involved in something like that? That he would know?
<Balinteze> you mean, would he have approved something like this, if he knew what it was?
<Daifan> Yes.
<Balinteze> I mean... it wouldn't be entirely his decision. There would probably be several different parties involved, assuming this was even approved by anyone. But I don't think he would support it if he knew what was really going on.
<Balinteze> I could put in a request for help from ... higher up. But I don't get to use those every day. I would want to be very sure that this was the right reason to do it.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> If he didn't support it, would he be able to do much?
* Balinteze considers
<Daifan> or, is there someone else who could?
<Balinteze> He has a lot of sway with the Sentinels, so if he wanted to, he could try to convince them that whatever is going on there is illegal. Whether they would decide they could enforce the law against her... I'm not sure.
<Daifan> hmm.
* Daifan makes a face
<Daifan> I wondred if maybe you could get him out there to see... but maybe that woudln't be enough.
<Balinteze> If we can try to handle it that way, though, that would be preferable. At least if they refuse, there would be some record of what happened - and that they didn't do anything about it >.>
<Daifan> Yes.
<Balinteze> If I do end up having to call in a favour from on high, being able to prove that I tried to handle it other ways first would be better.
* Daifan nods
<Balinteze> I'll try to sound him out - see what impression I get.
<Daifan> Llillilli suggested that we coudl have the budal intercepted and they can all run off to be pirates.... I dn't tink I trust any pirates wenough with their lives.
<Daifan> which is too bad - imagine how pretty their sails would be :p
* Balinteze smiles faintly at that
<Balinteze> They would be gorgeous.
<Daifan> they would.
<Daifan> I'm sorry to have woken you up with such news.... maybe it coudl have waited
<Balinteze> I'll think on this a bit more. Maybe there are other options we can try too. But we're not just going to let... whatever this old witch has planned... go according to her plans, okay?
* Balinteze shakes their head.
<Balinteze> It's alright - I don't mind.
<Daifan> I thought very hard about just burnign the place down when I was there, but.... I didn't think that woudl really be enough :p
* Balinteze nods
<Balinteze> Unfortunately, I think you're right.
<Balinteze> It would get you in trouble for nothing, and she would rebuild.
<Daifan> yes.
* Daifan sighs
* Balinteze puts an arm around your shoulders.
* Daifan leans against them
<Balinteze> you did such a good job, finding this out, not getting caught... we can figure out where to go from here.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> We will. I will see if I can think of anything else, and if you need anythign else fomr me... I will do what I can.
* Balinteze nods
<Balinteze> you must be tired.
<Daifan> Yes, but.... I usually am these days :p
<Balinteze> ... you can stay here if you want. at least you wouldn't have to walk out to Banei, and then back tomorrow morning. plus, I promise I don't cry in the middle of the night ;)
* Daifan chuckles
<Daifan> That sounds very nice....but Spider and Sheepstealer might worry about me :x
<Balinteze> where did you tell them you were going?
<Daifan> Oh, they knew.
* Balinteze nods
<Balinteze> I could get a message delivered in the morning, if that would help reassure them. But it's up to you.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> yes, they might just hope I've crashed with my hedal anyway
* Balinteze nods
* Daifan snuggles up
<Balinteze> Do you want to take the bed, or share it? it's kind of small, but we can squeeze.
<Daifan> I don't mind sharing.
<Balinteze> okay.
<Daifan> if you don't, anyway
* Balinteze will find a way to get us both reasonably settled in and comfortable, then :3
* Daifan will pull back from the snuggle a little just in case
<Balinteze> no, it's fine. it's ... nice to have company.
<Daifan> It is.
* Daifan will get snuggly for actual sleep then :3
* Balinteze will snuggle up and then lie there all night not actually sleeping and going "omg what is even happening" quietly to themself.
<Balinteze> (finally falling asleep like 4am ;)
<Daifan> (hee)
* Daifan is just snuggly when they have a chance to be, that's all :3

Jimba and Llillilli share each others' respective big news


* Jimba will return from speaking to Liraula, whistling quietly to himself and contemplating his windfall.
* Llillilli is sitting on the deck, dangling her legs off the side of the boat through the railing
* Jimba grins when he sees Llillilli.
<Llillilli> Howdy.
<Jimba> Howdy yourself.
<Jimba> How's things?
* Jimba says like he clearly has things of his own to share.
<Llillilli> You first
<Jimba> Well, I just got a *considerable* sum for helping Sizhif with that kidnapping problem.
<Jimba> So, dinner's on me.
<Llillilli> oh, nice
<Jimba> Sounds like you have some news, too?
<Llillilli> Maybe?
<Llillilli> I might be getting married.
<Llillilli> If his aunt likes me.
* Llillilli shrugs.
<Jimba> ...
<Jimba> Come again?
<Llillilli> Yup
<Jimba> To whom?!
<Llillilli> Thelef.
* Jimba will come up and take a seat next to Llillilli, legs through the railing and all.
<Jimba> When did this happen?
<Jimba> How did this happen?
<Llillilli> while you were out
<Jimba> Where...I feel like I did this bit with Daifan recently, and I don't want it to become a thing.
* Jimba shakes his head.
<Llillilli> Huh?
<Llillilli> Is Daifan getting married too?
<Jimba> No, the series of questions.
<Jimba> Not important.
* Jimba waves his hand dismissively.
<Jimba> Thelef is another one of the [hithkindred], right?
<Jimba> (Sorry, I forgot the word and don't want to slow things down too much searching for it)
<Llillilli> (yeah I feel that)
<Llillilli> Yeah.
<Llillilli> He's kind of a big deal
<Jimba> Have you been seeing him? I feel like I'd know.
<Llillilli> Sort of the leader I guess.
<Jimba> Wow.
<Llillilli> I mean I see him all the time.
<Llillilli> It's not a very big place
<Jimba> Right, sorry. I mean, have you been romantically or sexually involved with him?
* Llillilli makes a face.
<Llillilli> No.
<Jimba> Okay, okay, I didn't think so.
<Llillilli> He needs to marry someone so his family will leave him alone. The salamander isn't working anymore.
<Jimba> It's just, you know, a common precursor to these things.
<Jimba> The sala...
<Jimba> All right.
<Jimba> So he just came and asked you to marry him?
<Llillilli> So I told him he should just pick someone he doesn't hate.
<Jimba> And he doesn't hate you.
<Llillilli> And he picked me, so.
* Llillilli shrugs.
<Llillilli> That seems fine.
<Jimba> So you said yes?
<Llillilli> Yup
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> But you still need to meet his family, I take it.
<Llillilli> Assuming his aunt also doesn't hate me I guess
<Llillilli> Yeah.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Well, I mean, if it's what you want, I'm happy for you.
<Llillilli> Well, we are friends. I'm happy to help him.
<Jimba> Right.
<Llillilli> And not that anyone is asking but it would make them leave me alone too if they did.
<Jimba> Right.
<Jimba> That's a plus, I guess.
<Jimba> So he's just looking for someone to cover for him, basically?
<Llillilli> Yeah
<Jimba> Makes sense.
<Jimba> You weren't really planning on this otherwise, huh?
<Jimba> Marriage and whatnot.
<Llillilli> I mean... not really.
<Llillilli> I didn't really think that was in my future.
* Jimba looks thoughtful for a moment.
<Jimba> Like I said, I just want you to be happy.
<Jimba> This seems mostly neutral, really, but you're helping a friend.
<Jimba> Which I figure is good.
<Llillilli> Mm-hm.
<Jimba> What if his family bugs you two for children?
<Llillilli> Well I'm not old enough to lay eggs, so.
<Jimba> Okay, but, it's his human family you're getting married to appease, right?
<Llillilli> Yeah.
<Llillilli> But they don't understand hith stuff.
<Llillilli> So it's easy to confuse them.
<Llillilli> Like with the salamander.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> So you two should be able to put them off for a while with that.
<Jimba> Who are they, anyway?
<Jimba> His lineage, I mean.
<Llillilli> Yeah it took Hefeth years to get to be a lethillae...
<Llillilli> Aanilaus.
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+8
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 6 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 14 ].
<Forthright> (you know that they are the most pro-colonial, pro-Kaskind of the major local families. You also know that many of their members have actually moved to Kaskind rather than living in Timiil)
<Jimba> He's one of the Aanilaus?! .
<Llillilli> That's what I said, yeah
<Jimba> *And* a leader among the [hithkindred]?
<Llillilli> Yup
* Jimba raises an eyebrow.
<Jimba> Do you not *know* how big a thing this could be, or do you not *care* how big a thing this could be?
<Llillilli> Uh... for who?
<Jimba> Either is fine, I'm just gauging.
<Jimba> For us! For you, if you wanted, but I don't think this falls under your interests.
<Jimba> But, for Kat and me...those are important connections.
<Llillilli> Then no to both I guess.
<Llillilli> I mean I know his family are rich.
<Jimba> And influential in the area.
<Jimba> And...
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> This isn't about me and Kat, beyond us loving and caring about you.
<Jimba> I don't want to lose sight of that.
<Jimba> But it *could* be helpful to more than your friend, I guess.
<Jimba> Not that that should influence your decision, because we're doing fine, and you can do what you like.
<Llillilli> Well I already made it.
<Jimba> Right.
<Jimba> So, presumably, it didn't.
* Jimba smiles.
<Llillilli> Nope.
<Jimba> Does that mean...are you going to go to live with him?
<Llillilli> maybe some of the time.
<Llillilli> We haven't really got that far.
* Jimba nods, looking a little bummed.
<Jimba> I imagine there's a fair bit of logistics to work out, once you meet his family and get the go-ahead.
<Llillilli> It's not like I would go very far Jimba.
<Jimba> No, I know.
<Llillilli> Someone has to keep an eye on you.
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> I swear, I can take care of myself.
<Jimba> I figured you'd be moving out to Pfaeshes or something eventually...
* Jimba shrugs.
<Jimba> I just like having you around.
<Llillilli> Katenzhi is a bad influence.
<Jimba> Undoubtedly, but how did you mean? :)
<Llillilli> Reckless.
<Jimba> If anything, Kat is wreck-full.
<Llillilli> Exactly!
<Jimba> I, myself, am thus far wreck-less, yes.
* Llillilli rolls her eyes.
* Jimba grins.
<Jimba> So, uh, am I supposed to negotiate with his family on your behalf? Or Kat, maybe? She *is* the oldest.
<Llillilli> No. That's not necessary.
<Jimba> Are you sure? The Aanilaus's are, to borrow your wording, kind of a big deal.
<Jimba> I feel like they're going to want to talk to your people, and we're your people.
<Llillilli> Well if they need to, I guess.
<Jimba> Is this going to mean anything among the Hith?
<Jimba> I mean, you won't be partners there, right?
<Llillilli> No, I'm too young.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> And also there's no need for you two to do so.
<Llillilli> Right.
* Jimba shrugs.
<Jimba> Well, I mean, it all sounds fine, then?
<Jimba> Can I ask...why he needs someone to cover for him? Does he also not actually want to marry, or does he already have a partner his family disapproves of, or...?
<Llillilli> He doesn't have anyone, no.
<Llillilli> But his family are always trying to marry him off to people he doesn't know, or doesn't like.
<Jimba> Sounds like you're doing a really nice thing for him, then.
<Llillilli> He's nice.
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> That's a big endorsement, coming from you.
<Llillilli> If you say so
<Jimba> When do you meet with his family?
<Llillilli> SOon.
<Llillilli> Don't have the exact day yet.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> You should invite him to come have dinner with us sometime.
<Llillilli> Oh, that reminds me.
<Jimba> Oh?
<Llillilli> I'm supposed to invite you and Kat to Shulilae's.
<Jimba> Oh, wow, really?
<Jimba> That's quite an honor.
<Llillilli> It's not a big... thing
<Jimba> Yeah, but we're not *huwhi*.
<Jimba> (Looked it up finally :))
<Llillilli> You're my family, they want to know you.
<Jimba> Well then, I'm sure we can do that whenever you like.
<Llillilli> Great. c:
<Jimba> Oh, that sort of reminds me.
<Jimba> Umm, I didn't just get paid for helping with that kidnapping thing.
<Llillilli> You got paid for something that wasn't kidnapping related?
* Jimba laughs.
<Jimba> No, I just got this in addition to getting paid.
* Jimba will hold out the Black Stork token.
<Llillilli> What's this?
<Jimba> It's an alliance, of sorts. Maybe also a job offer.
<Llillilli> From who?
<Llillilli> A bird?
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> The Black Stork Armada.
<Llillilli> OH, the pirates.
* Jimba nods.
<Llillilli> Hm.
<Jimba> I didn't say yes, but I did take the token.
<Jimba> So I didn't say no, either.
<Llillilli> You should be careful.
<Jimba> I'm doing my best.
<Llillilli> Mm.
<Jimba> But, like it or not, they're a major power in the area.
<Llillilli> Are there Corpseborn pirates, do you know?
<Jimba> Huh?
* Jimba is caught off guard for a second.
<Llillilli> Corpseborn. Who are pirates
<Jimba> Uh, not that I know of. Most people consider them pretty unlucky.
<Llillilli> They could have their own ships.
<Jimba> If they had the money, or took one, yeah.
<Llillilli> "Give us your money or we'll touch all your things." Like that.
* Jimba laughs.
<Jimba> That sounds like a pretty good tactic, really.
<Llillilli> Well I thought so.
<Jimba> I imagine they'd be pretty scary to, you know, idiot assholes who don't like them already.
<Jimba> Huh, it's an interesting idea.
<Jimba> Why do you ask?
<Llillilli> No reason
* Jimba raises an eyebrow.
<Jimba> Daifan considering a career change?
<Llillilli> Hah, no.
<Jimba> I mean, if she wants to, I guess I know people.
<Llillilli> No... she didn't think it was that good an idea
<Jimba> Soooo, you brought it up with her?
<Llillilli> That the other pirates wouldn't let them.
<Llillilli> I guess.
<Jimba> Well, for one person, maybe, but if you had your own ship, you could do whatever you want.
<Llillilli> Yeah. But they
<Llillilli> 'd need help to get the ship.
<Llillilli> The first one anyway.
<Jimba> Is there a shipload of corpseborn I'm missing here?
<Llillilli> UH
<Llillilli> ...
<Jimba> ...
<Jimba> I was joking.
<Jimba> Now I feel like I'm missing something.
* Llillilli sighs.
<Llillilli> I am not supposed to say. But I am very bad at lying. :c
<Llillilli> I guess she did say I could tell*you*.
<Jimba> It's okay if you don't want to.
<Llillilli> But don't... don't let it get around, to the others.
<Jimba> If it's a secret, you don't have to tell me.
<Llillilli> There is a lady, a princess from Taizi, who is bringing a ship full of them here
<Llillilli> She says it is to work her field but it's a lie.
<Llillilli> And she won't let them live with the others in Banei, she is making a prison camp for them on her lans.
<Llillilli> And not jsut that.
<Jimba> o.O
<Llillilli> She is going to hurt them.
<Llillilli> Just to see what happens...
<Jimba> What?!
<Llillilli> I went, with Daifan, to see.
* Jimba frowns.
<Llillilli> They have a building with no windows, and in the building there is a room with chains on the bed, and a window through to another room where there is a sort of... a place to make notes?
<Jimba> Just the two of you?
<Llillilli> And all the windows in the living places have bars on the windows.
<Llillilli> Yes.
<Jimba> I can understand that, for stealth's sake, but why didn't you tell me?
<Llillilli> Well...
<Llillilli> I forgot.
<Jimba> I could have stood watch or...
* Jimba tries to look serious and loses it, laughing.
<Jimba> I guess I can't be upset at that.
<Llillilli> But this ship, it is coming soon.
<Jimba> Well, shit.
<Jimba> From Taizi?
<Jimba> Do you know when?
<Llillilli> We need to keep this awful woman from getting her hands on these people
<Jimba> Agreed.
<Llillilli> Not exactly, no, but they are on the way
<Llillilli> If they were in Banei they would be safer.
<Jimba> Do you know how many it is?
<Llillilli> LIke 50 or so.
<Llillilli> Maybe 60.
<Llillilli> And these people... they didn't have a choice in coming. They were accused of WITCHRAFT, which is RIDICULOUS, and told they would be put to death if they didn't
<Jimba> Witchcraft? What does that even mean?
<Llillilli> RIGHT??!
<Llillilli> In a world where anyone can eat a magic turnip and cast a spell!
<Llillilli> It's idiotic.
<Llillilli> So*I* thought maybe you could get your friends to take over their boat, and then they would have the boat. But Daifan thinks... they would not.
<Jimba> Well, you mentioned a Taizi princess, right?
<Llillilli> Yeah.
* Jimba frowns in thought.
<Jimba> There might be something there.
<Jimba> We don't have money to hire a crew, but if we could offer them something, or someone, valuable...
<Jimba> You wouldn't happen to know who these people are, do you?
<Jimba> The folks being brought in, I mean.
<Llillilli> Not specifically, not names.
<Jimba> I mean, it sounds like maybe they're just general laborers. Yeah?
<Llillilli> Just a whole bunch of Corpseborn from Taizi.
<Llillilli> Supposedly witches.
<Jimba> Hmm.
* Jimba chuckles again at that.
<Jimba> Right.
<Jimba> Does Daifan have a plan already?
<Llillilli> No.
<Llillilli> Like I said she didn't like my pirate idea.
<Llillilli> And we can't burn down the buildings because she is some kind of mystic and she'd know we did it...
<Jimba> The camp, there are guards?
<Llillilli> Yes.
<Jimba> Wait, who's a mystic? The princess?
<Llillilli> Yes.
<Jimba> Would she also know if we freed people?
<Llillilli> I don't know how it works.
<Jimba> Hmm.
<Llillilli> If she needs some kind of evidence to work from or not.
<Llillilli> Like if you burn a building, there's ashes and stuff, but if you just let the people go maybe that is not... Ugh, I don't know.
<Jimba> Maybe Kat might.
<Jimba> Can we ask her?
<Llillilli> I guess.
<Llillilli> ¬_¬
<Llillilli> Can she keep it quiet?
<Jimba> We wouldn't need to give specifics, not right now.
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> Her being a mystic definitely complicates things.
<Jimba> I'll think on it some.
<Jimba> We've got a little time, you said?
<Jimba> Not long, but, like, they're not here yet.
<Llillilli> Right.
<Jimba> Okay, well, like I said, I'll try to figure something out. Talk to Daifan, too, if I can.
<Jimba> It sounds like a bad situation, and I wouldn't want anyone being put in it.
<Jimba> We'll figure something out.
<Jimba> Thank you for telling me.
<Llillilli> You're welcome, I guess.
* Jimba smiles wanly.
<Jimba> It feels weird to celebrate anything in light of that information, but do you want to go get dinner?
<Jimba> We did just come into some money.
<Jimba> And you just got engaged.
<Llillilli> Sure!
<Jimba> Sounds good. Anywhere you want, whatever you want.
* Jimba goes for upbeat.

Katenzhi, Jimba, and Llillilli talk about Llillilli's engagement, and what to do with the pale oracle


* Katenzhi has probably just gotten back from tripping balls at Bivizmi's place.
* Llillilli and Jimba can be coming back from dinner
<Jimba> Hey Kat!
<Jimba> (To Llillilli) Hey, you can share your big news.
<Katenzhi> Hey guys! I was hoping you'd be here!
<Katenzhi> Oh... uh... big news?
* Llillilli blinks blankly
<Llillilli> News?
<Llillilli> Jimba made a bunch of money from pirates
<Katenzhi> Awesome!
<Katenzhi> But how is that *your* news?
<Llillilli> Well
* Katenzhi tilts her head confusedly.
<Llillilli> I guess not
<Llillilli> I'm probably getting married, but I don't know for sure yet.
<Katenzhi> ...
<Katenzhi> ...
* Jimba grins.
<Katenzhi> Like... married married?
<Jimba> As opposed to fake married?
<Katenzhi> To who?
<Llillilli> Thelef.
<Llillilli> My friend.
<Jimba> Thelef Aanilaus.
* Jimba puts a slight emphasis on his last name.
<Llillilli> Yup.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> Riiiiiiight.
<Katenzhi> Ok.
<Katenzhi> Congratulations!
<Llillilli> THanks c:
<Katenzhi> I fully support your choices.
* Jimba chuckles at that.
<Llillilli> Good
<Jimba> She still has to run the family gauntlet, but I'm sure it'll be fine.
* Katenzhi smiles.
<Jimba> And I guess he has to run yours, but, like, that's just us here, and we're not going to hassle him.
<Katenzhi> Well, I might.
<Katenzhi> But just for fun.
* Jimba grins.
<Jimba> You said you were hoping we were here. Something up?
<Katenzhi> Oh! Right! Yes.
<Katenzhi> Nothing nearly as cool as my cousin getting engaged, though!
<Jimba> Well, yes.
<Katenzhi> Seriously, I'm happy for you. You just caught me a bit off guard.
* Katenzhi offers Llillilli a big hug.
* Llillilli allows it
<Katenzhi> :3
<Katenzhi> Ok... so...
<Katenzhi> Obviously this calls for a party.
<Katenzhi> And we'll have one as soon as we get back.
<Jimba> Get back?
<Katenzhi> Yeah... that's what I wanted to talk to you guys about.
<Katenzhi> You remember that plant? The one that causes hallucinations and shit?
<Jimba> Vividly.
<Katenzhi> Bivizmi and I were experimenting with it today. We discovered that it has some interesting properties. She can process it into fos and she thinks there's a market for it. If we can show her where it is she's willing to go 50/50 with me on it, and I'm willing to split my share evenly with the whole group, since, you know, you guys are the ones who found it. We just need to get her there before the land gets snapped up.
<Jimba> What sort of interesting properties?
<Llillilli> Uh what
<Llillilli> I don't think we should be marketing that stuff
<Katenzhi> Somehow it knows the difference between schools of magic. If you use it to cast divination spells it's super effiicient. Like much more than regular fos. If you use it for anything else... well, you saw what happens then.
<Katenzhi> But that's just when you use it wrong. All we have to do is make sure people know it's for divination only.
<Jimba> So, the moles...that's what happened if you try to use it to cast other types of spells?
<Katenzhi> Exactly.
<Jimba> Huh.
<Jimba> There could be a market for that.
<Katenzhi> At least that's our hypothesis so far. We'll need to run more tests.
<Llillilli> :|
<Katenzhi> But if it's marketable, even with a fractional share each we can make ggood money.
<Llillilli> I do not want any part. I think you should leave it alone.
<Katenzhi> ...oh.
<Jimba> Why?
<Llillilli> It's dangerous. And it will bring even more humans here, to cause more problems.
<Katenzhi> It's not any more dangerous than regular fos, really. And humans are coming here for that regardless.
* Jimba nods and shrugs apologetically at Llillilli.
<Llillilli> You know the people living up there wouldn't want a bunch of Ombesh digging around.
<Jimba> Right. Which is why I propose we go to them first.
<Llillilli> You know that! You know this will bring problems!
<Llillilli> And what will you do when they say no, we do not want this
<Katenzhi> All we need is enough of it to start growing our own!
<Llillilli> Will you do it anyway?
<Katenzhi> Someone is going to get that land and start growing this stuff regardless of what we do.
<Jimba> That's not necessarily true.
<Jimba> We have some pull at the land office.
<Jimba> Not much, but we can try to make things difficult for people to claim the land.
<Katenzhi> Not that much. This is above our heads.
<Jimba> That's not an excuse to profit from it at the expense of other people.
<Katenzhi> ...
<Katenzhi> If we don't get in on this, someone else will.
<Llillilli> that doesn't make it right to do
* Jimba now nod and shrugs apologetically towards Katenzhi.
<Jimba> Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
* Katenzhi looks back and forth between her cousins.
<Jimba> We can talk to the people of that village and see what they say.
<Jimba> Maybe they'll welcome the income.
<Jimba> And, if the land is taken over, we might be able to give them enough warning to move the plants or otherwise prepare.
<Katenzhi> Of course! I'm not saying we steal it, for the ancestor's sake.
<Jimba> I*do* think the ship has sailed on the "this will bring more humans" argument.
<Jimba> Much of the area is already settled with Aummesh.
<Jimba> And Ombesh are coming regardless.
<Jimba> But we can try to minimize the conflict and damage.
<Jimba> As best we can.
<Katenzhi> WLet's just... take Bivizmi up there. We can decide what to do after we talk to the people there.
<Katenzhi> Is that reasonable?
* Llillilli shrugs stiffly, arms crossed.
* Katenzhi stops for a minute and sighs.
<Katenzhi> Maybe... maybe you're right.
<Jimba> Well, I think talking to them is reasonable.
<Katenzhi> I mean... I was hoping this would be good for everyone, but... I don't want it if it's going to make you upset, Llillilli. You guys mean more to me than the money.
<Llillilli> I can't tell you what to do.
<Jimba> Riiiight.
<Jimba> But we care about your opinion.
<Llillilli> Well I gave it to you
<Jimba> :/
<Katenzhi> Ok.
<Jimba> Well, we have other opportunities, anyway.
<Katenzhi> I'll tell Bivizmi it's off.
<Katenzhi> But she's going to go up on her own, I can guarantee it.
<Jimba> Well, I don't think we can completely extract ourselves from the situation.
<Jimba> Maybe we can talk to Atsa, see if that is her family, and try to get an introduction?
<Jimba> And try to slow things down at the office in the meantime?
<Llillilli> It would be good to tell her if there will be more people coming I guess.
<Llillilli> If nothing else
* Jimba nods.
<Katenzhi> Ok.
<Katenzhi> We can give that a shot
<Katenzhi> And afterwards we can all go out and celebrate your upcoming wedding. :3
* Jimba smiles at that.

Jimba and Daifan discuss corpseborn issues


* Jimba will try to catch Daifan after work the next day.
* Daifan will hold up if they notice you're trying to get their attention
<Daifan> (well, when ;)
<Daifan> Hi Jimba
<Jimba> Hey, you want to grab some food? I was hoping to bend your ear a little.
<Daifan> ahh...
<Jimba> Or whatever is convenient.
<Daifan> Did you have somewhere in mind?
<Jimba> Would just a walk be easier?
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> It might be.
<Jimba> I swear, I'll get it eventually.
* Jimba smiles and gestures for them to both start walking.
<Daifan> its okay... I still think it's strange that you're not already used ti it... but I understand
<Jimba> Well, I haven't spent a lot of time with, uh, folks like you.
* Daifan will walk with you then, keeping to areas where I'm less likelyl to get bothered or noticed.
* Jimba stumbles a bit over not saying "other corpseborn".
<Daifan> Well.... most people haven't, or don't.
<Daifan> at least... well, back home it was different
* Jimba nods, a little grim.
<Jimba> Oh?
<Daifan> there were certain kinds of places...
* Daifan shrugs
<Jimba> Ah.
<Daifan> Its not the same here.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> So, Llillilli told me about y'all's excursion the other day.
<Jimba> And about what prompted it.
<Daifan> Mmhmm.... what did she say about it?
<Jimba> It sounded pretty bad.
<Jimba> Folks being held, experimented on or something.
<Jimba> Well, going to be held
<Jimba> Currently transported.
<Daifan> yes.... no one is there yet
<Jimba> So, I guess, I just wanted to say I'm willing and ready to help, however I can.
<Jimba> Llillilli mentioned her idea to have them intercepted, but I don't have that kind of pull and nothing to offer.
<Daifan> yes... I feel like it is not something that many would find incentyive to to otherwise, and it woudl stilll not fix everything.
<Daifan> they woudl have nowhere safe to go
<Daifan> and it would put anyone who helped them at greater risk
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Do you have a plan?
* Daifan sighs
<Daifan> I have... a test, I suppose.
<Jimba> A test?
<Daifan> I am not the only one who knows about this so....we will see what those who have real power do if they learn about it.
<Daifan> meanwhile, I am helping to make sure that there is a place in Banei for them to come/
<Jimba> Do you think they will?
<Daifan> but... I was not expecting what I found.
<Jimba> Do something, I mean.
<Daifan> I don't know.
<Daifan> I don't know what they can do
<Daifan> or what they know
* Jimba frowns.
<Jimba> I suppose trying to free them and burning the place to the ground is always a backup option.
<Daifan> Mmhmm.
<Daifan> a risky one, for everyone, but one I haven't ruled out.
<Jimba> I...was kidding, mostly, but I'll follow your lead.
<Jimba> You know the situation.
* Daifan sighs
<Daifan> thank you. I will let you know, if I think of something you can help with.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Would it be safe to ask Katenzhi some general questions that might pertain to this? Llillilli thought, or said you thought, I forget, there might be some magical ways to track us if we do intervene. I thought it might be worth running past Kat to see what precautions we could take or what to expect.
<Daifan> well, I don't know anything about magic, really. I just want to be careful.
<Daifan> She had some kind of spell on the one building, and it sounded a loud alarm that brought the guard running
* Jimba nods.
<Daifan> It seesm like it woudl take a lot of magic to make a spell like that last long enough to matter
<Daifan> if you wanted to ask Katenzhi general thing then go ahead
<Daifan> I just don't know what would be useful to know.
<Jimba> Yeah, I don't know a lot about magic, either.
<Jimba> And I know she'll be curious, but I think I can put her off.
<Daifan> "What can a powerful magic user do if they want to find out who did something they don't like? What can they do if they find you?"
<Daifan> Something very unpleasant Im sure.
* Daifan nods
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Do you have any idea what sort of time constraints there are? When they'll arrive, that sort of thing?
<Daifan> No. I know they have left, that they are coming by ship from somewhere in Western taizi, but that's all.
<Jimba> That's quite the trip.
<Jimba> It could take some time.
<Jimba> I'll keep my ear to the ground.
<Jimba> Or water, as the case may be.
<Daifan> thank you, that wouold be very helpful. I still think that, if most people came a cross a ship full of corpseborn convicts that their first instinct would not be to help them but.... news would be useful.
<Jimba> I'll keep it quiet.
<Daifan> thank you
* Jimba shrugs.
<Jimba> Happy to help. Not so much that help might be needed, but still.
<Daifan> I understand.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> I hope you have other things going on than just worrying about this though
<Jimba> Oh, yeah, I mean, work and such.
<Jimba> Looking at some investments.
* Jimba chuckles.
<Daifan> the merchant life?
<Jimba> More or less.
<Jimba> I mean, that's most of what I'm doing.
<Jimba> Grab drinks with folks now and then.
<Jimba> But that can be a business thing, too.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> What do you trade in? Fos, like everyone else?
<Jimba> Whatever comes my way. I don't really have the capital to specialize yet.
<Jimba> So, fos is a major product, but shells, furs, whatever.
* Daifan nods
<Jimba> I thought about looking into selling in Banei, but I don't want to cause trouble.
<Jimba> I thought maybe I could offer products folks here won't sell.
<Daifan> hmmm....
<Jimba> But...
<Jimba> *shrug*
<Jimba> That's like legal smuggling, almost.
<Jimba> I don't want to disrupt things, and, much as I don't like it, getting caught could be...problematic.
<Daifan> yes... I think the issue would be not letting people know where your money is coming fom
<Jimba> Well, I work with a lot of people. I think I could obfuscate fine.
<Daifan> but.... I know people in Banei
<Daifan> hmm.
<Jimba> Well, if you think there's a market for it...
<Daifan> let me do some asking
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Thanks. It's nothing major, but if it seems like a possibility, I'd be happy to pursue it.
<Daifan> what abput taking products from Banei?
<Jimba> Yeah, I think I could do that. Offer fair prices for goods.
<Jimba> Basically what I do anyway. I do my best to have good contacts among the Aummesh around here.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> contacts you are prepared to obfuscate with?
<Jimba> Well, let's be honest. Ombesh are doing most of the buying around here.
<Jimba> And them, I definitely don't mind being perhaps less than completely upfront with.
<Jimba> Despite being one myself.
<Daifan> its true
<Daifan> But you might still have to answer to other contacts, mightn't you?
<Jimba> So long as I stay roughly available and keep business going, it shouldn't be a problem.
<Jimba> I'm sure Kat will be fine with it.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> well. I will do some asking around, then.
* Daifan eyes you up and down
<Daifan> I have a friend who I think will be very interested to hear about this non-corpseborn who is so interested in beign helpful to us.
* Daifan says with a little smirk
<Jimba> Oh?
<Jimba> I'm always glad to meet new people.
<Daifan> well. we will see ^-^
* Jimba gives you an odd look.
* Daifan is the picture of innocence ^-^
* Jimba chuckles and shrugs.
<Jimba> Fair enough.
<Jimba> So, how are things with you?
<Daifan> Mmm... Better, I think
<Jimba> Oh?
<Daifan> I have good friends.
<Daifan> They look out for me.
* Daifan says with a smile
* Jimba returns the smile.
* Daifan considers
<Daifan> My roomates have a new baby - I don't think I mentioned that.
<Jimba> Oh, that's nice.
<Jimba> For them.
<Jimba> I mean, I'm sure the baby is great, but that can't make sleep easy to come by.
<Daifan> it is. She is a very sweet baby, though, so we are all lucky with that so far
* Daifan makes a little sigh with their hands
<Jimba> When did they get her?
<Jimba> Adopt her, maybe? "Get her" sounds like they went to the market.
<Daifan> a few weeks ago.
<Jimba> Oh, she's still all brand new.
* Jimba smiles.
<Daifan> yes, very small :3
<Jimba> That's great.
<Jimba> A little sad, I guess, but good the girl has people.
<Daifan> ...why do you say it is sad?
<Jimba> Sorry, probably me putting my foot in my mouth again. Just, if your roommates have a new baby...they got it from the church, right?
<Jimba> (Temple, whatever the correct term is)
<Daifan> yes.
<Jimba> Well, if there was a child available, someone passed away.
<Jimba> I just thought that was a little sad.
<Daifan> mmm.... it is complicated, Jimba.
<Jimba> I know.
<Jimba> Because, if your friends wanted children, and had their own...


* Jimba frowns and looks awkward.


<Daifan> They wouldn't do that.
<Daifan> Having a baby.... getting pregnant, I mean... that is not how you make a family.
<Jimba> It's one way.
<Jimba> Though I get that it's at best a very difficult option for...corpseborn.
<Daifan> its not how we make family.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> In fairness, it's really not how anyone does. It's just how most folks make more people.
<Jimba> To add to their family, but it's how you treat people that makes family.
* Jimba concedes.
<Daifan> mmhmm.
<Daifan> You have lineages...
<Jimba> Though that's no guarantee of a real family.
<Daifan> but what I mean is... It's different.
<Daifan> what you think will happen, what you expect...
* Jimba scrunches up his brow, listening.
<Daifan> you don't see.... the same kind of future.
<Daifan> YOu don;t imagine that a baby will be part of your future.
<Daifan> just because it comes out of your body
<Daifan> that doesn't mean it is easy, but its.... not the same.
<Jimba> I wouldn't imagine so.
<Daifan> We understand where corpseborn babies come from but for them to come to us, to people who want them and will love them and take carre of them and ...let them be who they are without judgement...
<Daifan> that is not a sad thihng.
<Jimba> I'm sorry.
<Jimba> I wasn't saying your friends' new baby was a sad thing, or her coming to them was a sad thing.
<Jimba> I apologize.
<Daifan> I know you didn't mean that.
* Daifan sighs
<Jimba> I know, but I keep stepping in it anyway.
<Jimba> I appreciate you being willing to share your knowledge and experience of these things with me.
<Daifan> well. Most noncorpseborn don't even care or try to understand.
<Jimba> Well, I'm not corpseborn, but I'm not *not* corpseborn, either.
<Daifan> I know
<Jimba> I never got to learn all of this.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Llillilli said you didn't know until you were older?
<Jimba> (Hold on, let me check :p)
<Longpig> (that is true)
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Yeah, though, in retrospect, I'm surprised Uncle kept it in that long.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> It makes your aunt sound all the more remarkable
<Jimba> I think she must have really loved my mother, and Llillilli and me.
<Jimba> Well, present-tense on me and Llillilli.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> hmm
<Daifan> Maybhe I have been thoughtless too
* Jimba frowns.
<Jimba> How so?
<Daifan> well... Maybe it is difficult for you to separate your thoughts from your own family, and your mother?
<Jimba> I try not to think about it much.
<Daifan> :/
* Jimba shrugs.
<Daifan> Ahh, I'm sorry
<Jimba> I know that might not be the healthiest thing.
<Jimba> But I'm happy here, with friends and family, and the blurred line between.
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> Leaving was...difficult, and I'm not sure returning ever would be any better.
<Jimba> So I tend to look towards the future.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> well, I think that's why a lot of us wound up here
* Daifan smiles
* Jimba returns the smile.
<Jimba> Yeah, I think it's a common thread.
<Daifan> Thank you for the walk and talk
<Jimba> Likewise.
<Jimba> I'll let you get home. I wouldn't want your roommates to worry, and I'm sure they'd welcome the extra hand with the new baby.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Yes. They will be worrying by now I am sure >:3
<Daifan> have a good night, Jimba!
<Jimba> You too, Daifan.

Daifan returns home and shares news with Chimi and Idovo


* Daifan is late getting home the next day, though they did manage to send word that they were okay before work
<Daifan> (yeah)
<Daifan> hello?
<Idovo> oh, Daifan!
* Idovo comes over to hug you.
* Daifan hugs back, but is a bit surprised
<Idovo> We got your message but I figured, you wouldn't send a message unless there was a reason to be worried.
<Idovo> Chimi said that was stupid though.
<Daifan> I'm fine.
<Idovo> I'm glad you're okay. How did things go?
* Daifan pets him on the shoulder
<Daifan> (err, on his)
<Daifan> They went okay
* Idovo has saved some dinner for you, it's crab and wild rice and some greens.
<Daifan> we didn't get caught, though I had to lie to the guard to make him go away.
<Daifan> ooooh, thank you....
* Daifan will sit down to eat.
<Daifan> what I found - that was less okay
* Idovo sits down with you.
* Daifan will describe the three buildings, starting with the dorms, and then the other windowless building with it's concerning contents
* Chimi emerges from the other room with the baby on her hip to listen as well.
<Chimi> that's weird
* Chimi says, listening to your description
<Daifan> Mmhmm.that's one word for it...
<Daifan> I can't think of a single*good
* reason to set up a place like that.
* Idovo nods
<Idovo> That's a set-up for perverts or ... or evil experiments or something.
<Daifan> or both!
<Idovo> You don't do that sort of thing for farming :p
<Daifan> no
<Daifan> I think the farming is just a cover
<Daifan> or well... a convenient excuse maybe
* Idovo nods firmly
<Daifan> I'm going to see what happens if people at the fort know.... and then we'll see from there. if they do nothing, then we figure out something else
<Idovo> alright...
* Idovo seems sort of unconvinced that people at the fort will care, but nods.
<Idovo> So you got back okay but it was late?
* Daifan isn't really convinced either, nbbut it is a first step :p
<Daifan> yes.
<Daifan> I just crashed in town with Pinkberry, rather than coming all the way here alone by myself.
<Idovo> oh, that's good.
<Idovo> that they could put you up, I mean.
* Daifan nods and smiles
<Idovo> Sort of... friendly? or... ?
* Idovo probes for a bit more info ;)
* Daifan rolls their eyes
<Chimi> Pft, it's not your business.
* Chimi tells him.
<Daifan> as friends
<Idovo> I was just curious.
<Chimi> Mmhmm.
<Idovo> Anyway - I'm glad you got back okay, and that you had a friend to stay with. And I hope you're right that maybe the people at the fort will do something, but if they don't, we're ready to help however we can.
<Daifan> thank you.
<Daifan> I know you will
<Daifan> These peopel are very lucky, I think.
<Daifan> we'll make sure they are safe
* Idovo nods

Moss asks Daifan over for dinner


<Idovo> (do you want to switch to Moss now?)
<Idovo> (maybe he could join you on the walk into Kaskind the next morning)
<Daifan> (Sure :)
* Idovo is now known as Sulidein
* Sulidein will come to the house in the morning and knock at the door
<Daifan> (I feel like that is fairly common, at least?)
<Daifan> coming!
<Sulidein> (yeah probably, I assume you walk in together often enough)
<Sulidein> (unless one of you had to stay overnight in town, or isn't going there that day or whatever... ;)
* Daifan finishes fixig their scarf and will grab their stuff
<Sulidein> Morning :) I missed you on the walk yesterday - Spider said you had stayed in town.
<Daifan> Yeah, I was out late so I stayed with a friend
* Sulidein nods
<Sulidein> Just having fun, or was it work or something keeping you late?
<Daifan> extra work?
* Sulidein nods
<Sulidein> well, I can understand that... picking up a bit of extra money?
<Daifan> mmm... more like - community service?
<Sulidein> ahh.
<Daifan> anyway
<Daifan> not a regular thing, I hope.
<Daifan> How are you?
<Sulidein> oh, I'm doing fine. This is the busy season at work, so there's plenty to do.
<Sulidein> I'll be glad when it slows down a bit again.
<Daifan> yeah, that will be nice
<Daifan> have they had you out looking for someplace to put the new lighthouse too?
<Sulidein> Nope, I haven't had that one. Just lots of the usual - people looking for good fos farms, mainly.
<Daifan> hmm.
<Daifan> they sent us out to some place on the bay... that was what they said they were after, anyway
<Sulidein> oh yeah?
* Daifan shrugs but looks thoughtful
<Daifan> it wasn't really what they were looking for - but then I'm surprised they haven't kept looking.
<Daifan> maybe its too busy with everything else...
<Sulidein> What do you think they were really looking for?
* Daifan seems dubious
<Daifan> I dont know
<Daifan> but there was a village in the area that wasn't on their maps, near an old temple
<Sulidein> huh
<Daifan> and some other things.... strange plants
<Sulidein> that's ... an odd coincidence. You think they knew those things were there and just wanted to pretend they were looking for a place to put a lighthouse?
<Daifan> have you vever heard of something like that?
<Daifan> I hadn't thoughth that, but now I wonder...
<Sulidein> well, sure, I suppose... there's lots of little villages that are really just three or four houses that aren't marked on the maps. Either they weren't there when they made the maps in the first place, or nobody noticed them, or bothered to mark it.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> the plant though - shulur, I think is what it was called?
<Daifan> have you ever heard of it?
<Sulidein> it's a purple flower, I think?
* Sulidein says after a moment's thought
<Daifan> mmhmm. The roots are white
<Daifan> It's kind of like fos?
<Sulidein> it is?
* Sulidein seems surprised
<Daifan> I guess so.
<Sulidein> I just thought it was a wildflower.
<Sulidein> Not even a really common one. although I guess if it was common, and it could be used like fos, that would change a lot of things.
<Daifan> the uruun? were eating rthem, and then when they attacked people, they would have visions
<Sulidein> wow :o
<Daifan> but I guess some people knew about it
<Daifan> Katehnzhi was very excited
* Sulidein nods
<Daifan> I don't think we put that in the report, but still... I wonder.
<Sulidein> I suppose that's the kind of thing people would be interested in claiming, if they knew about it, and they might make up a story about something else, like a lighthouse, if they didn't want people to know about it.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> yes...
<Daifan> Hmm.
* Sulidein lets you ponder in silence for a bit
* Daifan sighs, and then shrugs
<Sulidein> Ah...well, on another subject, I have a question for you.
<Daifan> mmhmm?
* Daifan looks over
<Sulidein> I wondered if maybe you'd like to come over to my house for dinner sometime.
* Sulidein says with a nervous smile.
<Daifan> Oh!
<Daifan> That could be nice...
* Daifan smiles at him
<Sulidein> great :)
<Daifan> sometime?
<Sulidein> um... how about tomorrow?
<Sulidein> or later... whatever you prefer....
<Daifan> tomorrow owould be fine
<Sulidein> alright :)
<Daifan> Just... after work?
<Sulidein> sure. I know we don't always make it back at the same time, so it's a bit hard to say, but if I get back first, I'll wait fro you at the office.
<Daifan> or hmm... I might want to clean up first, who knows what they'll have us doing...
<Sulidein> or... well.. yeah, that's true.
<Daifan> it would be less fun, I think, if we've been sloging through the swamp for hours
<Daifan> but we can walk back together and make better plans then?
<Sulidein> sure. We can walk back and then we'll arrange to meet later, whenever you are ready? and I'll make food.
<Daifan> that sounds nice.
<Sulidein> I hope so :)
* Daifan smiles and totally isn't nervous at all, nope :x
* Sulidein can go back to making small talk on the rest of the walk in, and also definitely not be nervous.

Jimba gets some gossip from one of Liraula's crew, Kigar


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Okay, Jimba, when should this be? I guess it could be before you leave the Black Stork, or you could come back another time before it leaves port again.
<Jimba> I guess I'll head back, as I've done a fair bit of stuff since then?
<Ashnabis_Narrator> okay
<Ashnabis_Narrator> you can check in to see how things are going there, then.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> just stroll casually by to admire it ;)
* Jimba strolls casually by to admire the ship :p
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (what time of day? maybe early morning before you go to work?)
<Jimba> (Yeah, that would make sense)
<Jimba> (Do a stroll-by on the docks, see what's happening)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> When you pass by this early morning, a few of the sailors are unloading some cargo, while another man stands on the dock supervising.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> One of the sailors notices you and waves you over - "Hey, you - give us a hand with this"
* Jimba smiles and goes to help.
* Sailor is a wiry, fairly light-skinned man in his 30s with a beard and a red bandana holding his dark brown hair back.
<Sailor> You're Jimba, right?
* Jimba nods.
* Sailor pronounces the name in the Ombesh manner, a bit carefully
<Jimba> [Aummesh pronunciation] is fine.
<Jimba> Have we met?
<Sailor> (I think Aummesh would say it as Yimba :)
<Sailor> Oh, I've seen you, talking with the Captain.
<Sailor> I'm Kigar. Get around that end and help push, will you?
* Sailor is now known as Kigar
* Jimba nods and goes to.
<Jimba> Nice to meet you, Kigar.
<Jimba> Can I ask what we're loading today? (Assuming it's not obvious)
<Kigar> (you're unloading heavy sacks that seem as far as you can tell like sacks of grain, although you're not sure what kind)
<Jimba> Is this your usual sort of cargo?
<Kigar> Rye, out of Khutu.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Where're you headed from here?
* Kigar shakes his head a bit, glancing over at the tall man with curly grey hair who is keeping an eye on the process. He stands beside a cart where the sacks are being loaded up.
<Kigar> After here, probably out around the bay, then west toward the Tzameddi coast. Always good pickings there.
<Kigar> Lots of little islands. Lots of rocks. Lots of ships who don't know their way :)
* Jimba smiles at that.
<Jimba> Lot of traffic out that way, huh?
<Kigar> 'Tis the season for it.
* Kigar stands firm to receive the weight of the sack you're shoving towards him, grunting a bit as he hauls it onto his shoulder.
<Kigar> Now this one...
* Kigar says with a glance over to the man by the cart
* Jimba listens curiously.
<Kigar> ...not one I'd choose as a partner, but I suppose the Captain knows her business.
<Jimba> Who is he?
<Kigar> Etsem Tauppashku. He's got a mill, so might explain why he's in the market for grain and not too concerned where it came from.
<Kigar> But he's a slippery one. Got those dead fish eyes.
<Jimba> Does the captain deal with him often?
<Kigar> Sure, they go way back.
<Kigar> Back before she was married, so I heard.
<Jimba> Really?
<Jimba> Sorry, really?
* Kigar smirks a bit
<Kigar> Well, I'm not one to gossip.
* Kigar says, plainly lying
* Jimba smiles encouragingly.
<Kigar> You know... things have been strained with her and Bohin. He's a good fellow, don't get me wrong, I'd never say a word against him. But he can't sail anymore. And she's not about to stop. Puts a bit of a cramp in their marriage.
<Jimba> You're not suggesting...
* Jimba makes a "you know" head gesture.
<Kigar> Oh I wouldn't. But if an old 'friend' of hers is suddenly being friendly, doing business, coming around the ship, well, people are bound to assume.
<Kigar> Maybe there's nothing to it. I mean, he's a miller, he needs something to mill, it all works out nice and neat.
* Jimba tries to keep "And by people, you mean you" off his face.
<Jimba> Good contact to have, if you're offloading grain shipments.
* Kigar nods
<Kigar> I've got nothing but respect for the Captain. Her business is her own. But I'm just saying, I don't know about this fellow - how it looks and all.
<Jimba> How long has he been around, recently?
<Kigar> Oh, right when we got into port, he came nosing around. Maybe he had some word in advance we were coming, I don't know.
<Jimba> Oh, hmm, that is odd.
<Jimba> If there is something odd about it, though, I wouldn't think it's anything with the captain. Last I spoke to her, she was bragging about her man.
* Jimba smiles.
* Kigar chuckles at that
<Kigar> Well, you know, she's probably got enough energy for two. But she does love Bohin, or she'd have ditched him when the whole... thing happened.
<Jimba> (Do I know what the thing is?)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (you know that Bohin died a while ago in an accidental drowning and was brought back, but since then has had a perhaps understandable unwillingness to go back on the ship)
<Jimba> (gotcha)
* Jimba nods.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (at least, you'd assume that's what he's talking about. if there's another "thing" you're unaware of it :)
<Jimba> (Does it seem like he needs more help?)
* Kigar lugs another sack over to the cart and returns, dusting his hands off.
<Kigar> Thanks for the help, friend.
<Jimba> Happy to lend a hand.
* Kigar smiles at that
<Jimba> Maybe I'll catch you and the (Is the ship called the Black Stork? I forget) next time you're in port.
<Kigar> (yes)
<Kigar> I hope so! Come by the Moon and Dagger tonight if you want, we'll be drinking there until it's time to ship out tomorrow :)
<Jimba> Hey, now that sounds like a plan.
<Jimba> I'll try to stop by after work.
<Kigar> Great - don't work too hard, now :)
* Jimba will smile, wave, and head out.

Daifan goes to Sulidein's home for dinner

@Sulidein will meet you as planned, after work :)
<Daifan> Hey - how was your day?
<Sulidein> Not too bad. We were checking on some claims that looked promising.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> same - nothig too strenuous or far today, at least
<Daifan> one of the plots was swampier than expected but...
* Daifan shrugs
<Sulidein> I wanted to ask, about dinner - is there anything you especially don't like?
<Daifan> no, I'm not too picky, I don't think...
<Daifan> I'll try anything
<Sulidein> alright :)
* Daifan smiles a bit shyly
<Sulidein> What about spicy things?
<Daifan> I don't think anyone has asked me over for dinner like this before...
<Daifan> oh, yes, spicy is great!
* Sulidein smiles
<Sulidein> I'm a little surprised. But I'll try to make your first dinner at someone's house a nice one.
<Daifan> I'm sure it will be.
<Sulidein> (okay, we can skip along to dinner, then? assuming they walk back home and each go to get cleaned up and so on)
<Daifan> (yes)
* Sulidein 's house is a simple but cozy-looking place, on low stilts and with a thatched roof.
* Daifan will go and get freshened up btu not too tarted up, angsting about the line between the two, but will go to his house, which I presumably know where it is ;p
* Sulidein has changed into a clean dashi and clearly tried to run a comb through his curly hair at least.
<Sulidein> Hi, come on inside :3
<Daifan> thanks...
* Daifan looks around with a bit of curiousity
* Sulidein has a one-room house, with a small stove for cooking, a table which he's pulled a spare stool up to so there will be two seats, and a hammock that is draped against one wall, presumably only extended for sleep. It's well-ventilated and not too hot inside, despite the cooking that's currently going on.
<Sulidein> it's not much, but it's comfortable enough for me :)
<Daifan> its nice - I like the hammock, that's a nice idea...
<Sulidein> Having a bed takes up so much room all the time, so I like being able to put it aside when I'm not using it.
<Daifan> mmhmm, yes...
<Sulidein> I hope you're hungry, because I think I overestimated a bit on the food - I'm not used to cooking for more than myself.
* Daifan says, like someone who is taking mental notes for their own place ;p
<Daifan> well, I'll do what i can to help :)
* Sulidein smiles and will start to serve it up, then.
<Daifan> what is it?
<Sulidein> It's a mix of peppers and marsh onions - you know, the little white ones - you cook them in oil until they're softened, and then add eggs right at the end, so they cook in the sauce.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> it smells good, anyway
<Sulidein> Then sprinkle on some of this goat cheese, and it melts into it. And you can top it with some guyaar if you like spicy :)
* Sulidein gestures to a little bowl of some green paste/sauce.
<Sulidein> And I got some bread to go with it...
* Daifan eyes him, and will take a little taste on their little finger and lick it off to guage the spicyness level :x
* Sulidein brings out some nice fluffy flatbreads.
<Daifan> mmm
<Sulidein> (it's fairly spicy, or at least strong? I'm imagining it like the cilantro sauce you get in Indian restaurants, sort of. herbs + citrus + salt kind of thing ;)
<Sulidein> My mimir used to make it so strong it would melt your tongue off, I tried to go easy on it a bit :)
<Daifan> well, I like it.
<Sulidein> I'm glad. I can make it stronger next time if you want. I mean... if there is a next time. I don't want to assume...
* Sulidein says a bit shyly
<Daifan> well... so far so good?
* Sulidein smiles and starts by scooping up some of the peppers and onions and eggs and cheese mix, wrapping it in some bread, and drizzling the green sauce over the top
<Sulidein> so... how are things at home, with the new little one?
<Daifan> They're good - she's been an easy baby so far, but she's still small. She sleeps pretty well, and there's three of us, which makes it easier.
<Sulidein> That's good. Hopefully she stays agreeable even when she's bigger :)
<Daifan> she'll be lovely
* Sulidein nods
<Daifan> I thik other people will be more trouble for her though... >.>
<Sulidein> oh?
<Daifan> Big Mouth thinks she's related to his saint, so he is going around telling everyone :p
<Sulidein> oh... that sounds, ah, potentially messy.
<Daifan> it's annoying, but we'll manage. I just want to make sure she gets left alone until she's older, as much as possible :p
* Sulidein nods
<Daifan> hopefully other people can respect that too >.>
<Sulidein> If it's any consolation, I think most people think he's just crazy >.>
<Daifan> yes... and I don't weant her to have to be associated with that, either :|
<Sulidein> that's understandable
<Daifan> at least it doesn't trouble her too much yet, she's still figuring out her own toes :3
* Sulidein smiles at that
<Sulidein> for after dinner, if you're not too stuffed, there's some mangoes - they're the first ones I'd seen this season so far.
<Daifan> oh! do they grow around here?
<Sulidein> Yes, south of here there are some. I could show you where they grow if you want. I mean... not right now, but another time :)
<Daifan> okay...
<Daifan> I'd love to have a source :)
* Sulidein will cut up some fresh mangoes with his knife, while you finish up dinner.
* Daifan does not shy from spicy sace sorta tacos but will try not to get them all over their clothes ;p
* Sulidein offers you a piece of fruit, holding it out to you.
<Daifan> thanks
* Daifan will take it
* Sulidein eats a slice as well - it is juicy and hard to eat neatly, but he'll try anyway :)
* Daifan smiles nervously and will try top do the same
<Sulidein> mm, good - I was worried they wouldn't be quite ripe, but they're perfect.
<Daifan> mmhmmm...
* Daifan says, licking some juice off their fingers
* Sulidein does the same
<Daifan> delicous
* Sulidein nods, smiling
<Sulidein> well... I don't know how soon you wanted to get home, I know it's been a long day and everything... but you're welcome to stay and just... we can sit and talk by the fire if you want.
* Sulidein offers nervously, not really sure what to expect.
<Daifan> umm...
* Daifan hesitates
<Daifan> Maybe...another night?
<Sulidein> Of course. I'd like that :)
<Daifan> okay.
<Daifan> Me too.
<Daifan> Thank you though - dinner was very nice.
<Sulidein> I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for coming over.
<Daifan> :)
<Daifan> Do you want any help cleaning up?
<Sulidein> oh... okay :) If you don't mind.
<Daifan> of course. It's the least I can do.
* Sulidein can give you some easy cleaning up tasks and take the more involved ones for himself.
* Daifan will do what they can to assist, then.