Ashnabis session 8

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ashnabis session logs
Previous Session 8 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: April 7, 2019
Fair Cycle date: Pesme, I.E. 765

Prologue


<AshnabisGM> The month of Pesme brings with it more sun and warmer temperatures, and with it more opportunities for the young folk to get into trouble. In particular, newcomers often find themselves tempted by fos, at much hazard to themselves and others.
<AshnabisGM> Just yesterday, a young man who had arrived only last week went into a frenzied rage in the middle of town after a failed attempt at spellcasting, and in the fray was killed by the Sentinels, who are now charged with determining whether he might be eligible for resurrection or whether he should instead be rendered bubun.
<AshnabisGM> But amidst these sorts of sad misadventures there is much joy, as the shops are now full of goods from the Omban successor states, such as bolts of Khutuan dyed cloth and Sharaian beadwork. And, of course, new potential marriage partners for those looking for love in the middle of a dismal swamp.
<AshnabisGM> As for you, the claims office is starting to get quite busy now, as newcomers have acclimated and are making their first claims, and of course with that any number of disputes.
<AshnabisGM> It's becoming clear that the territory will need to extend its formal reach sooner rather than later, and you've heard that a new legion of sentinels is expected overland from Choradan within a month or so to expedite that process.
<AshnabisGM> Utus has been here, there, and everywhere, seemingly constantly in meetings at the Fort these days, talking to the General and who knows who else. All of you arrive in the morning today and are instructed to immediately head to the office of the military attaché, Ismend Hengo.

The group receive their instructions from Ismend and Tiz Chomakosh


<AshnabisGM> Ismend's office is smaller than Utus' but just as well apportioned. It has various signs of his decades of military service, including a collection of arms and armor mounted on the wall, but looking as if any item could be pressed into service at a moment's notice.
* Ismend is an elderly but still fit man in his mid-seventies, short but stocky and broad-shouldered. He has a short white beard and curly white hair, and wears his Sentinel's uniform.
<Ismend> Good morning, officers.
<Veznara> Good morning, sir.
<Junan> Good morning
<Jimba> Good morning.
<Ismend> At ease, then.
<Ismend> Please allow me to introduce you to Lieutenant Tiz Chomakosh. The lieutenant is one of the General's most trusted colleagues here in the Territory and you are to give her your careful attention and respect.
<Jimba> Ma'am.
* Tiz is a very tall, striking woman in her mid-thirties or so, with the red coat of a Sentinel, and a sash marked with beads that denote her as a lieutenant. Her black hair is long but neatly braided and out of the way.
* Ismend waves his hand in her direction.
<Tiz> Good morning.
* Jimba nods in acknowledgement.
* Veznara smiles and nods in recognition
<Ismend> The lieutenant is here with a task for you, evaluating a piece of land of strategic interest to the Territory.
* Junan nods as well
<Tiz> The land I'm interested is to the south and west, near the coast, on the other side of the Sebor Inlet from Timiil. The area has been lightly settled by locals now and again, but nothing substantial. The General is concerned with risks to sea travel and the ever-present danger of pirates, so we're hoping to use this area eventually to build a lighthouse and watchtower.
<Veznara> (This is near the Temple we investigated before?)
<Tiz> And, of course, to look for fos along the way.
* Tiz adds, almost as an afterthought
* Daifan stays quiet and unassuming in their corner for now
<AshnabisNarrator> It's not really that close, no. It's more near the coast, and on the other side of the inlet.
<Tiz> It's not far, in terms of distance, but a little inaccessible to people who don't know their way around, or who are dependent on land travel. As Captain Hengo informs me, you're constrained by neither of those conditions.
<Tiz> As you can see, the plot I'm asking to have inspected for the claim abuts some traditionally demarcated territory, so obviously exercise discretion. We don't want an incident, of course.
* Tiz gestures to the map on Ismend's desk.
* Veznara comes over and examines it with interest
<Jimba> Yeah, we like to avoid incidents our own selves.
* Jimba will double check the map to be sure where we're headed.
<AshnabisGM> The map of the region shows relatively little settlement and none so far by Ombesh. Areas like these to the west along the coast are very poorly mapped. The area that Chomakosh has indicated is a strip just off the coast, perhaps a few miles west of the Kaskos.
* Daifan peeks at it with mild curiousity
<Veznara> (What is the traditionally demarcated territory?)
<AshnabisGM> Further inland, there is an irregularly-shaped patch of land demarcated simply with the label 'temple' with no further information.
<Veznara> (Still not our temple, I take it.)
<AshnabisNarrator> (You have no idea.)
<AshnabisNarrator> http://rocksfall.org/wiki/Ashnabis_Territory
<AshnabisNarrator> The claim is located just off the coast, almost a third of the way between Timiil (#6) and Apishna (#7).
<AshnabisNarrator> The temple / locally claimed plot is just inland of that, to the south/east roughly
<Jimba> (How long a trip is that?)
<AshnabisNarrator> It's like, 12 km by my eye, so, not long by boat.
<Jimba> (cool)
<Jimba> Seems simple enough.
* Veznara points to the temple
<Jimba> Short trip, survey, back quick.
<Veznara> This is the demarcated area to avoid?
<Ismend> Yes, that's it. Local sensibilities and all that, you understand.
<Tiz> The General is particularly interested in the land's elevation, view of the surrounding coastline, and whether there is a firm foundation for building a heavy structure - we don't want to put a stone tower there and have it sink into the swamp, after all.
* Jimba nods.
<Veznara> (Can I make a Sense Motive roll when she answers my question? I'm wondering if there's more to it than just what she's saying.)
* Daifan wodrs whether we are really qualified to assess that but...
<AshnabisNarrator> (sure, go ahead)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+8
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 16 ].
<Tiz> (technically Ismend answered your question?)
* Daifan glances at the others
<Junan> (do I have any idea how rough/swampy/overgrown that area is?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (K:geography?)
<Llillilli> (can I also roll on geography for the same reason as junan)
<AshnabisNarrator> (yup you can roll that)
<Junan> !roll 1d20+5
* Daifan rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 6 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 11 ].
<Veznara> (Ah, you're right. It was Ismend. Never mind. :/ )
<Jimba> (Likewise)
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+2
* Daifan rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+2 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 2 ] totals [ 21 ].
<Llillilli> (is k: geography not in class for hithkindred?)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+6
* Daifan rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 13 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> (maybe not)
<Jimba> (Oh, nice Llillilli)
<Veznara> (I assume this is already the best map we have of the area?)
<AshnabisNarrator> Llillilli, you've been up and down the coast there with Shulilae on collecting trips. The coast is a little bit elevated and not too heavily vegetated, and then as you go further south / east inland, it gets swampy.
<Llillilli> (thanks )
<AshnabisNarrator> (sure, that's a reasonable assumption, Veznara)
<Daifan> How would we know if it is good for building on?
<Tiz> Well, if you evaluate it and we decide to proceed, I'll also visit there and make an assessment. Mostly at this stage I would want to know whether it's excessively swampy, or seems to have other obvious issues.
<Llillilli> Along the coast it's not so swampy.
<Llillilli> I've been there.
<Ismend> Use your good judgement, make maps and drawings as appropriate, and return here and we can talk further.
<Jimba> Right.
<Ismend> Obviously as this is a matter of territorial strategic interest the questions are different than those that might be more strictly about land claims for agriculture.
<Tiz> This won't be the final decision, it's just to help us narrow down appropriate sites, so we don't spend a lot of time on locations that are plainly unsuitable.
* Veznara nods
* Daifan nods
<Veznara> It will be a welcome opportunity to map the area more fully, whether it is suitable for a lighthouse or not.
<Tiz> If this one doesn't work out, you may be seeing more of me :)
* Veznara smiles back
* Junan takes a good measure of the map
<Tiz> Thank you for your service on this matter. At least the weather is favourable for your trip!
<Ismend> Any further questions?
* Llillilli shrugs.
* Jimba looks to his fellows.
<Jimba> I don't have any.
* Daifan shakes their head
<Veznara> Only to Llillilli, I think. If she's been there before, perhaps she can tell us what to expect.
<Veznara> But we don't need to take up your valuable time for that.
<Jimba> A pleasure meeting you, Lieutenant. We should be back shortly.
<Tiz> Good day.
<Veznara> Good day.
* Junan nods a goodbye
* Jimba nods politely to Ismend and heads out.

They travel to the site for the proposed lighthouse and explore


<Jimba> (Once outside) The usual? Meet at the boat?
<AshnabisGM> Did anyone have anything they want to do before leaving?
<Llillilli> Yup.
<Llillilli> (nope)
* Junan nods
* Llillilli has taken to carrying her pfethes around town, just for the record.
<Veznara> Sure. In half an hour, perhaps? I'd like to change into something that will not identify me as a Hand, I think. If the locals are nervous about their temple.
<Jimba> Whenever folks are ready.
* Veznara goes off to change and to assemble her mapmaking materials.
<AshnabisGM> Alright, you can gather at the boat when you're ready, and set out.
<AshnabisGM> The weather is fine, sunny and with a light breeze, making a pleasant change from the recent rain.
<AshnabisGM> You can have a chance to talk on the boat for a little bit, if you wish.
<Veznara> So, Llillilli: what can you tell us about the area?
<Llillilli> Just what I said.
<Llillilli> As you go west toward the coast, it gets less swampy, higher.
<Jimba> So there's a good chance this will fit the requirements?
<Veznara> That sounds promising.
<Llillilli> Yeah.
<Llillilli> As long as there's not another haunted temple.
* Jimba shudders a little.
* Veznara frowns
<Jimba> How many of those can there be?
<Daifan> mmhmmm...
* Llillilli shrugs.
<Llillilli> Not my department
<Daifan> already more than we might have liked :p
<Jimba> You said it.
<Veznara> I wonder about that. But that isn't really what we're supposed to investigate... this time.
<Jimba> Oh, I'm making it a priority not to investigate that sort of thing again.
<Jimba> Any time.
<Veznara> Llillilli, do you know of any solid land that juts out into the sea? It sounds like that's what they're looking for.
<Llillilli> (i'll roll)
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+2
* Daifan rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+2 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ 2 ] totals [ 7 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> (nope)
<Llillilli> I don't really remember.
<Junan> its not far, we'll know soon enough
* Veznara begins mapping as soon as the group enters the unknown area
<Veznara> (Prof: Cartography roll? :D )
<AshnabisNarrator> (sure, why not?)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+8
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 21 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> (you think your map looks very pretty!)
* Llillilli has her hair done up in two puffs today
<Veznara> (Never mind pretty - it's damn ACCURATE! :D )
* Junan plays an erratic tune as the boat skims the coast
* Daifan 's hair is covered as usual, but with some longer pieces free to frame their face flatteringly ;p
* Daifan also smells nice
<Llillilli> (not like persimmons at all)
<Jimba> (hee)
<AshnabisGM> The trip by boat is, indeed, quite short, and you're able to find a safe harbour not too far from where the claim begins. It's a sunny day and you're glad to be able to get out of Kaskind, which is quite malodorous due to all the new settlers.
<Daifan> (indeed)
* Veznara is in her armor and cloak as usual, but as noted is wearing a well-made traveller's clothing that does not indicate her status as a Hand of the Dead
* Daifan is wearig their armor also
<Veznara> Any idea of what the local wildlife is like? No bogwiggles, I hope...
* Jimba will put on his armor and sling his shield over his back for now.
* Daifan is getting more confident being out in the swamps, at least
* Junan will string his bow in preparation for the landing
<AshnabisGM> The terrain immediately at the coast is somewhat high and sandy - perhaps once a barrier island, but now long since attached to land. Rocks and shells are scattered across the terrain as you begin to traverse it.
<AshnabisGM> Jimba, are you bringing your dogs with you?
<Jimba> (Yeah, presumably. Early warning system, at the very least.)
* Daifan picks up some pretty shells and slips them into their pockets :3
* Veznara continues mapping, hanging a bit behind the others
* Jimba will bring his bow just in case there's some convenient game to bring down for dinner.
* Llillilli is armed and armoured
<AshnabisGM> Okay, that's fine. They're excited to get to go with you, and run around sniffing at all the new things.
<AshnabisGM> Washteppo will sunbathe on the deck ;)
<AshnabisNarrator> (ok, what are you all doing, roughly?)
<Jimba> (Is there any sort of obvious elevation nearby?)
* Daifan is keeping an eye out for things of note, but also poking around for shells a bit
<AshnabisGM> This area near the shore is somewhat elevated, but it certainly isn't a rocky promontory or anything. It's elevated compared to further inland, but that's about it.
* Llillilli is wandering around the coast, checking it out, half looking for things that might interest Shulilae.
* Jimba will try to find some high ground that might be suitable for lighthouse/watchtower purposes.
* Junan will look for trails or other signs of people using the area
<AshnabisGM> Llillilli, you can gather a few interesting shells or bits of plants to take back to Shulilae.
<AshnabisGM> Junan, you can make a Survival check I guess, to look for tracks/trails.
* Llillilli tucks them away in a pouch.
* Veznara keeps on mappin', also taking notes about the terrain
<Junan> !roll 1d20+5
* Daifan rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 10 ].
<AshnabisGM> You don't see any particular evidence of human-made trails or tracks here. If it's travelled, it must be only lightly.
<AshnabisGM> As you proceed inland, the land becomes lower, damper, and more like the marshy terrain you are used to inspecting. You see no immediate evidence that this land is being or has been used.
<Daifan> (any fos?)
<Veznara> (How far are we from the demarcated area?)
* Daifan looks mostly out of habit
<AshnabisGM> You can make perception checks if you want to look.
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+8
<Daifan> (10 - I'm clearly not that invested ;)
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 19 ].
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+7
* Daifan rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 22 ].
<AshnabisGM> You have a look around, but you don't see any in this area.
<AshnabisGM> Veznara, you believe you're probably within a few hundred meters of the edge of the territory marked on the map.
<Llillilli> (any sign of trails etc in this area?)
<AshnabisGM> Survival checks if you want.
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+9
* Daifan rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 22 ].
<Daifan> (22 survival)
<AshnabisGM> You don't see any human tracks or trails here, but you do detect a scent of smoke and, further to the south, you can see a few wisps of smoke rising into the air, perhaps from some human structure or habitation.
<AshnabisGM> Towards the southern edge of the claim, the land becomes more erratic, with unusual rises and depressions here and there. You see a couple of holes, perhaps the size of your head or a little larger, here and there and you deftly try to avoid stepping in them. The dogs are particularly interested in these holes, sniffing around them.
<AshnabisGM> Llillilli and Daifan, you see some tracks around the area of these holes - you think they belong to some sort of large rodent, but it's hard to tell precisely.
<AshnabisGM> Perception checks for anyone as well.
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+5
* Daifan rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 21 ].
<Junan> !roll 1d20+9
* Daifan rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 11 ].
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+7
* Daifan rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 20 ].
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+8
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 18 ].
<Daifan> (21 perception)
<AshnabisGM> Daifan, Jimba and Llillilli, you also spot some unfamiliar plants. Near one of the holes you find some white-purple flowers attached to a greenish stalk. Some sort of root seems to have once been attached to the end of it, but has been eaten away entirely.
<AshnabisGM> As you are treading carefully and taking your measurements and notes, you sense movement from below...

They are attacked by uruun, a large type of mole


<AshnabisGM> And now we'll go to roll20 for initiative
* Daifan scatters back from the holes
<AshnabisGM> Out of the hole right in front of you darts a black creature, perhaps the size of a small dog but with long, sharp claws. Its face has virtually no visible eyes, but all around its mouth are a circular set of dozens of strange short tendrils about two inches long.
<Daifan> why am I closes to all of them I'm gonna die :x
* AshnabisGM changes topic to '~psychic mole doo doo doot do doo~'
[Summary of the fight: they mostly kill the initial moles easily. Veznara, in attempting to cast Earsplitting Scream, renders herself mute for 10 minutes, although the spell still succeeds. Jimba has a strange experience, where although he is convinced the mole that was attacking him missed, time seems to momentarily reverse and then it hits him and he has a vision:
"Jimba, as it sinks its teeth into you, you have a vision. More than a dream, less than reality, but deeply disturbing. It is as if you see your own future before you. You have a momentary glimpse of the mast of your keelboat swaying in a storm. You see yourself, only older and with a long beard, pulling futilely on the ropes, as the mast finally snaps and collapses into the sea. You fall to your knees and weep."
He is then shaken for 3 rounds.
Junan is attacked and clawed by a mole and has a vision: "Junan, you too experience a strange vision.
Junan, you see yourself, an old man, wrinkled and grey, sitting in a tavern you don't recognize. You sidle over to a woman less than half your age, but stumble as you kick a stool, spilling your drink all over her. She yells at you, then laughs at you mockingly. Not again, you think to yourself. But always ... again."
He is then shaken for 1 round.
Mogri is bitten by a mole. "Mogri surely has a vision of Jimba telling him he's a very bad boy or something else. You don't know because you don't speak dog."
A giant mole emerges. Llillilli is clawed by it and has a vision: "Lllillilli, in your vision, you stand aside your hith compatriots, breathing the water as if air, when from behind you you feel a sharp pang as a pfethe enters your midsection. You turn, betrayed, to see the shimmering faces of your people, mocking you as your blood drips down into the briny sky below you."
She is then shaken for 4 rounds. Finally the moles are defeated.]

In the aftermath of the fight they discover an unusual plant near the site


<Jimba> Shit, Llillilli, you okay? It looked like it got you pretty good there.
<Daifan> Let me see?
* Daifan asks/offers
* Jimba moves to check on her and Mogri
<Jimba> Everybody all right?
<Llillilli> I'm bleeding, Iguess.
<AshnabisGM> Some of the moles are not quite dead, if anyone was inclined to try to take one as a specimen (or pet, Jimba ;)
<Jimba> Same, a bit.
<Jimba> (Oh, 100% if possible)
<Llillilli> (I took 9/22)
* Veznara tries to answer, then gestures to her throat and spreads her hands helplessly.
<AshnabisGM> If you want to try to bandage up a mole, someone can make a Heal check
<Llillilli> (so not quite half my hp)
* Daifan is a little bit...bit, but mostly okay
* Daifan will make a heal check for Llillilli
* Daifan eyes Veznara's flailing though
* Llillilli sits down on a mole mound.
* Daifan breaks out their healer's kit
<Jimba> What's up Veznara?
* Junan will go poke around the holes... see if there is anything in the mole-holes that explains the weird visions they were causing (like fos?)
<Daifan> (nat 20, total 29)
* Veznara gestures again to her throat, and mouths "I can't speak"
<AshnabisNarrator> Junan, make a perception check.
<Jimba> Fos?
<Junan> !roll 1d20+9
* Daifan rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 13 ].
* Jimba waggles his fingers.
<Jimba> (At Vez)
<AshnabisNarrator> Daifan, if you're doing treat deadly wounds that takes an hour.
<Daifan> (are they deadly?)
<Jimba> (It's the one that actually heals wounds)
<Jimba> (Like, heals hp)
<AshnabisNarrator> as opposed to first aid which is just stabilizing the unconscious
<Daifan> (oh true. well I mean, sure, if we have the time, and I don't thik we're in a huge rush)
<Junan> (im gonna destiny reroll that perception)
<AshnabisNarrator> ok Junan go ahead
<Junan> !roll 1d20+9
* Daifan rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 16 ].
<AshnabisGM> (I mean, you aren't in a huge rush at the moment. if you want to take an hour you can? it would let V get her voice back, and people can look around more as you do it)
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, Junan, you do see something.
* Jimba will gather the dead and not dead moles.
<AshnabisGM> Treating deadly wounds restores 1 hit point per level of the creature. If you exceed the DC by 5 or more, add your Wisdom modifier (if positive) to this amount. So 29 would exceed by more than 5, so you can add your Wis.
<Jimba> Veznara, Junan, help me string this this up.
* Jimba gestures to the big mole.
<Jimba> Hope these things taste all right.
<Daifan> (5 total then? weis is +3)
<AshnabisGM> right, 5 total
* Veznara does so, but grimaces at the mention of how they may taste
<Llillilli> You sure you wanna be eating those things?
<Daifan> why not?
<AshnabisNarrator> You didn't see it before, but others did: Near one of the holes you find some white-purple flowers attached to a greenish stalk. Some sort of root seems to have once been attached to the end of it, but has been eaten away entirely.
<Jimba> Well, I'm going to try a small amount first, see how it goes.
<AshnabisNarrator> It doesn't look like fos, but it's some sort of root.
<Llillilli> I dunno. What if they're poison? Their bite did strange things.
<Jimba> Snakes have a nasty bite, too, but they're tasty if you know what you're doing.
<Llillilli> Do you?
* Llillilli asks flatly
<AshnabisGM> Does someone want to roll to stabilize a mole, for Jimba?
* Daifan smiles
* Veznara points to Llillilli and nods in agreement
<Jimba> With snakes? Sure. With these? I'll ask around.
<AshnabisGM> that's just a 'provide first aid' so just takes a standard action
* Daifan is busy with llillilli - I assume I shudl interrupt that?
* Jimba smiles reassuringly.
<Jimba> (Or at least attempting reassuring)
<Jimba> Oh, hey, this little fella is alive.
* Junan will point out the plants withe the chewed off roots
<AshnabisGM> really you could do the mole first, as it's just a standard action, then take care of Llillilli, since she isn't about to die if she doesn't get tended to for 1 round
<Junan> these might be the cause of thier visions... a strange root...
<AshnabisGM> but I'll let you keep the 20 roll on her :)
<Jimba> Grab some? I'm sure they'll want to take a look back in town.
* Veznara nods
* Llillilli picks one or two to show SHulilae >.>
* Veznara collects some as well, and makes notes about them
<Daifan> (26 for the mole then)
<AshnabisNarrator> Llillilli, you can pick some unchewed plants. They are some sort of root crop, but unlike purplish fos, these are almost white, and smaller and spindlier than the fos you've seen.
<Veznara> (How big are the small moles compared to the big one?)
<Jimba> (I think they said small dog sized?)
<Veznara> (And to be clear I'm picking plants, not moles. Ick!)
<Llillilli> (like parsnips instead of beets)
<AshnabisGM> the small moles are like the size of a beagle, say. large mole is the size more of like a german shepard or something.
<AshnabisGM> Okay - as you are tending to the injured (humans and mole), those of you who aren't actively involved in healing or being healed can make a Perception check.
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+8
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 19 ].
<Jimba> (I am neither healing nor being healed, but I feel like I'm occupied?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (you can roll)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+5
* Daifan rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 7 ].
<AshnabisGM> definitely preoccupied ;)
<AshnabisNarrator> (clearly distracted)
<Jimba> (Okay, yeah, distracted :))
<AshnabisGM> Veznara, your voice has come back by this point.
<AshnabisGM> You hear some rustling sounds over towards the area where the temple is supposed to be.
* Veznara gestures to get everyone's attention and points toward the sounds
<Veznara> (I will speak if necessary)
<Veznara> (But only if necessary, as we may not want the attention...)
* Daifan is stitching up Llillilli and pretty focused
<AshnabisGM> Okay, folks notice Veznara waving at them (but can keep on with what they're doing if they choose, like healing ;)
* Jimba will put down the mole and put his hand on his machete.
<Daifan> (Terry is afk)
<AshnabisGM> (I'll roll for Junan)
<AshnabisGM> !roll 1d20+9
* Daifan rolls for AshnabisGM: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 10 ].
<AshnabisGM> (also very distracted ;)
<Daifan> (lol)

Atsa Lerushti is gathering plants nearby and they talk with her


* Veznara speaks hoarsely in Aummesh
<Veznara> [A] Hello? Is anybody there?
<AshnabisGM> The rustling sound pauses, as whatever it is presumably freezes.
<Veznara> [A] Please, we don't mean any harm. Will you come out and talk to us?
* Veznara looks carefully in the direction she heard the sounds, but does not draw a weapon or go for her fos pouch
<AshnabisGM> After a moment, there's another rustling sound and a woman steps out of the trees. A few of you recognize her - - it is the shopkeeper from Kaskind, Atsa Lerushti.
<Llillilli> Oh :o
* Atsa is a tall woman with simple but stylish short hair, quite elegant and comely, perhaps around 30 or so. She wears a dashi patterned with blue and yellow, and another wrapped over her shoulders.
* Atsa has a woven hat on to protect her from the sun, and carries a woven basket with some plants and herbs in it.
<Veznara> (Do I notice that the others recognize her? I don't think I do myself.)
<Jimba> Oh, hey!
<Veznara> (Guess so. :P )
* Jimba waves.
<Atsa> Ah, hello - what are you doing out here?
<Llillilli>
<a> You alright?
* Atsa seems quite surprised
<Jimba> Surveying.
<Llillilli> Work.
* Atsa speaks to you in Aummesh, since that's how Veznara addressed her to begin with
* Llillilli shrugs.
* Daifan will turn their focus and hope they aren't recognized while they work on patching up Llillilli
<Jimba> You out gathering plants?
<Atsa> Yes.. just gathering some supplies.
<Daifan> (turn their head)
<Jimba> Hey, maybe you can help us.
<Atsa> Are you all right? It looks like there was some trouble here with the uruun.
<Veznara> Hello. You've all met already, then?
* Atsa gestures to the dead moles.
<Jimba> Uruun, huh?
<Jimba> I guess we did.
<Llillilli> They were very aggressive.
<Jimba> You know anything about them?
<Atsa> Well, they do get quite aggressive around breeding season...
<Jimba> Ah, that would explain it.
<Atsa> That big one is a female, and the others would be males trying to mate with her, I suppose.
<Jimba> Are they poisonous?
<Atsa> No, not poisonous. Although the meat is not very tasty. A bit greasy, I would say - although of course people eat it when the need is great.
<Llillilli> Venomous?
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> Bashi and Mogri will probably like it fine, then.
* Jimba smiles, petting his dogs.
<Veznara> How do you do? I am Veznara - I don't believe we've met, though evidently you have met everyone else!
<Daifan> . o O (I'd take it home >.>)
<Llillilli> Their bite produced some kind of... hallucination
<Jimba> We thought it might be from these plants.
* Jimba points.
<Atsa> I'm not sure, I haven't heard of that before.
* Atsa says re. the bite
<Atsa> My name is Atsa - I met some of your companions at my shop in Kaskind.
* Atsa says to Veznara
<Jimba> Do you know what these are?
<Jimba> Oh, right, sorry.
* Veznara smiles and nods
<Veznara> Nice to meet you.
<Llillilli> And that guy is Junan.
* Jimba gives a surreptitious look towards Daifan.
* Daifan has their back partly turned
* Daifan is working on their stitchignm very delicate here please don't interrupt >.>
<Jimba> Do you happen to know what these plants are?
* Atsa will have a look at the plant in question
<Atsa> This is called shulur... the roots are very dangerous to consume. It can cause hallucinations.
<Llillilli> There it is.
<Veznara> That explains a great deal,then.
<Jimba> Do the uruun usually eat it?
<Atsa> I don't really know - I suppose they might if it grows near their den. I think they eat roots and bugs and worms and other small animals - whatever they can get, really.
<Jimba> Huh. I guess it made them a bit more dangerous, but (looks at Llillilli) we're more or less all right.
<Jimba> I'd say be careful, but I guess you already know that.
<Atsa> Oh, if you're hurt, can I help anyone? I do know some herbal remedies.
<Daifan> (how farinto this hour am I?)
<AshnabisGM> let's say like half an hour
<Daifan> (k)
* Daifan will let Llillilli decide on that, and keeps quiet
<Llillilli> I'm alright
* Daifan is a little hurt themselves but will probably be okay after a night's rest (assuming Shira allows it :3)
<Jimba> Oh, I guess if you wouldn't mind looking at these scratches?
* Jimba will show where he got clawed and bit.
<Atsa> Let me have a look...
<Jimba> Also, if you know anything about dogs, Mogri could use help first.
<Jimba> I can wait.
* Jimba smiles.
* Daifan keeps an ear open in case she says anything about hat she's using
<Atsa> oh, poor dog :o I'll certainly do what I can.
* Atsa will tend to Mogri.
<Jimba> Fortune smiles, that we should run into you.
* Atsa smiles at that.
<Atsa> Did you have good fortune before that, in your exploring?
<Atsa> other than the uruun, that is
<Llillilli> ENh.
* Llillilli shrugs.
<Veznara> It seems you know this area well, Atsa.
<Jimba> Oh, this was most of the extent of what we'd found so far.
<Atsa> Oh, well, I do gather my supplies where I can.
<Jimba> We're trying to find a good building site, if you happen to know of any land around here that might work.
* Atsa says modestly
<Atsa> Building? What sort of building? Like a house?
<Jimba> A lighthouse.
<Veznara> (Sense Motive for how she feels about that?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (sure, roll)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+8
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 20 ].
<Jimba> (Same, I guess, though she hasn't responded)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20-1
* Daifan rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20-1 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ -1 ] totals [ 4 ].
<Jimba> (Jimba is oblivious)
* Atsa seems a bit uneasy with that, Veznara.
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+3
* Daifan rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+3 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 3 ] totals [ 16 ].
<Atsa> A lighthouse? I suppose it would need to be near the sea, then - right here is surely too far inland? I think there might be better spots further south along the coast.
<Llillilli> Probably.
<Jimba> I'm inclined to agree. None of this looks particularly suitable.
<Llillilli> Too swampy.
<Jimba> They need stable ground, and some natural height.
* Jimba shrugs.
<Atsa> Even the area near the shore here is more crumbled up shells and rocks and so on - it isn't very solid, as far as I know?
<Llillilli> Lots of sand.
<Jimba> If it's not here, at least it won't interfere with your gathering.
<Jimba> Wouldn't do to clear out the vegetation around here, it seems.
* Atsa nods
<Atsa> Yes, I really don't think this would be a good location.
<Veznara> (Sense Motive - is that really why she's uneasy, the vegetation? Or could it be... something else? :P )
<Jimba> (How far out did you say this was?)
<AshnabisGM> it could be something else, sure? No way to really know.
<AshnabisGM> and it's about 12 km from Kaskind, but difficult to reach by land, Jimba.
<AshnabisGM> not impossible, just harder than going by water.
<Veznara> Have you gone farther afield, Atsa? Perhaps you could recommend a better site.
<Atsa> Ah, well, I don't know about the land claims, that might complicate matters somewhat, but I think there are some higher areas further to the south.
<Jimba> Do you usually gather this far out?
<Jimba> It seems a long way to go, especially by yourself.
<Jimba> You should at least get a good dog to accompany you.
<Atsa> From time to time. At this season, it's a good location for some of the plants I require. And as well, I have family along this way, so it's a chance to visit.
* Jimba smiles and pets Mogri.
<Atsa> perhaps I should :)
<Jimba> Oh, that's nice.
<Jimba> (To the family bit)
* Junan will move closer to better listen to the conversation and screen Daifan
<Jimba> What sorts of plants are you gathering?
* Daifan feels somewhat relieved and will flash him a quick smile before going back to their work
* Jimba will try to keep her distracted and not noticing Daifan, maybe walking her further away to ask about local flora.
<Veznara> Yes - what do you sell in your shop?
<Atsa> Oh, cosmetics, perfumes, and various ointments and salves. This time of year, bug repellant is quite popular among the newcomers, and sunshade, things like that.
<Veznara> Oh, yes, please! :/
<Veznara> I'll hope you've managed to collect everything you need for bug repellent, because I'm sure I'll want to get some.
<Jimba> She has this great salve for your hands, for working with ropes and stuff.
* Atsa nods to Jimba
<Atsa> I have a number of things here - some soapsalve, beebalm, and persimmon flowers... I don't think I could put together a bug repellant right now, but surely if you stop by my shop anytime I'm there, I would be happy to help you out.
<Daifan> , o O (SOme nice perfumes, some... interesting ones ;p)
<Veznara> Hmmm. Well, I don't do that so much. The perfumes and cosmetics sound interesting, though. And sunscreen.
<Veznara> Persimmons?
* Atsa nods
<Veznara> For the perfumes, I take it?
<Atsa> Yes, that's right. I extract the essence of the flower for perfume.
* Daifan wonders if she has any clue what they smell like >.>
<Veznara> It sounds like I should look you up as soon as we get back!
<Atsa> You'd be most welcome - you have such lovely skin, it would be a delight to help find something that would suit you. 6
* Atsa says with a warm smile
* Veznara chuckles
<Veznara> Oh, you are too kind.
<Atsa> How did you get here, if I might ask? Did you come by boat?
<Jimba> My family has one. We use it for official business like this sometimes.
<Atsa> Oh, that's quite helpful I'm sure :)
<Atsa> Do you think... well, would it be very much of an imposition if I asked for a ride back to Kaskind, if you're going in that direction?
* Atsa says with a (maybe flirty?) smile to Jimba
* Daifan dies
<Llillilli> (sense motive)
<AshnabisGM> (sure)
* Jimba glances at Daifan.
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+3
* Daifan rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+3 ] getting [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 3 ] totals [ 7 ].
<Llillilli> (noooope)
<Jimba> (Sigh, can I Sense Motive?)
<Veznara> (Dude! She's totally into you...)
* Atsa might be wanting to spend more time with Jimba because he's so handsome and charming :3
<Atsa> (you can try, sure, Jimba)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20-1
* Daifan rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20-1 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ -1 ] totals [ 15 ].
<Veznara> (Not bad for someone so socially oblivious! :D )
<Junan> Jimba, we're gonna be hours finishing up here... still have to mark the plot and all that. Why don't you just take Atsa back to town and come back for the rest of us.
<AshnabisGM> Jimba, you're not sure - I mean, she could be hitting on you somewhat, or maybe she just wants an easier route back to town?
<Jimba> Oh, yeah, I could do that. Least I can do to repay you for patching me and Mogri up.
<Jimba> You guys will be fine out here for a few hours, right?
* Daifan glances at Llillilli
* Atsa looks a bit flustered
<Atsa> oh, only if you're sure it wouldn't be any trouble?
<Llillilli> UH, sure?
<Jimba> Yeah, it's manageable.
* Daifan pulls a stitch closed ;p
<Atsa> well... I certainly do appreciate your kindness.
* Llillilli winces.
<Jimba> Well, if you're done gathering your ingredients, we can set off now.
<Jimba> Don't want to lose the light.
<Junan> we'll keep Bashi with us... you should bring Mogri. Give Atsa more time to have a look at em.
* Jimba nods.
<Atsa> If you're really sure you don't mind?
<Jimba> She knows to mind Llillilli. She'll keep a look out for more uruun, if they pop up.
<Jimba> Llillilli, you fine here?
* Llillilli grunts.
<Jimba> All right.
<Jimba> Shall we, ma'am?
<Atsa> Thank you very much. Well, be careful out here, the rest of you.
<Junan> we'll be fine
* Atsa will set off with Jimba and Mogri towards the boat, then.
* Junan will slump on the ground and pull out his wineskin once they are clear
* Daifan huffs quietly but will keep working until they are finished
<AshnabisGM> Daifan, you can finish up shortly thereafter.
* Daifan will stp back
<Daifan> there, that's the best I can do
<Llillilli> Thanks.
* Llillilli touches the stitches gingerly.
<Daifan> you shoudl still take care
* Llillilli nods.
* Junan idly scratches Bashi behind the ears while drinking
<Daifan> I would have sent you back with Jimba >.>
<Veznara> (I take it that Atsa and Jimba are gone now?)
<Llillilli> I'll be fine.
<AshnabisGM> yes
* Daifan nods
<Llillilli> Did you see anything when they bit you?
* Daifan will wash the blood off their hands in the little pond nearby
<Daifan> me? no.
<Veznara> Who was that person? You met her at her shop?
* Daifan lets llillilli field that
* Daifan was clearly never there
<Llillilli> Yeah.
<Llillilli> It's her store.
<Veznara> She seemed nervous about our being here.
<Llillilli> She makes... cosmetic stuff, like she said, out of local things
* Llillilli shrugs.
* Daifan will then go plonk down near Junan and psychically sugest he shoud share his wine ;p
<Llillilli> Maybe so.
<Daifan> (with me, to be clear. though I sadly lack psychic powers)
<Daifan> Thank you...
* Daifan says to him
<Junan> a local being bothered by surveyors discussing building a rather permenant structure... its not surprising
<Daifan> I am glad she did not ask any questions >.>
<Veznara> Before we were attacked, I noitced there was smoke further south of here.
<Daifan> She said she has family who live out this way
* Junan will conveniently set his wineskin down between them
<Veznara> Yes.
* Daifan will steal it for a drink mayeb while he is conveninet looking the other way at Veznara
* Daifan wont put their mouth on it though
<Junan> does this look bad?
* Junan will show the wounds were he was clawed and gnawed.
* Junan is actually down to about 50% hp
<Daifan> uuuh... it is not great
<Daifan> I could help, or Liillilli could
<Junan> I'll close my eyes and have a nap... if someone helps, who am I to know.
<Junan> Bashi... keep watch will ya
* Daifan will do a heal deadly wounds check for Junan while he 'sleeps', since we need to wait for JImba and they;re off poking around
<Daifan> (17)
<AshnabisGM> (okay)
<Daifan> (I don't know what the dc is but that's a least 2)
<Daifan> (if llillilli wants to assist when she cgets back we coudl probably boost it to a 19 if that wold help get ti to over 5)
<AshnabisNarrator> house rule: Heal: Treat Deadly Wounds takes only one use of a healer’s kit, and has a DC of 15 instead of 20. It still takes an hour to work.
<AshnabisGM> so even a 19 wouldn't get it to 5 over, but you can heal him for 2 at least.
<Daifan> okay
<Daifan> yeah
<Daifan> man I'm never gonna be able to afford another one of these kits
<AshnabisGM> maybe Atsa will make one for you at a discount ;)
<Daifan> maybe >.>

Llillilli and Veznara explore the edge of the property and see a village


<AshnabisGM> Llillilli and Veznara can take a look around to see what you see at the furthest southern edge of this property (still staying on your side of the land though)
<AshnabisGM> Further to the south, through some light trees and shrubs, you see signs of local settlement. A few simple houses, mostly wood, lie in a rough cluster around a large, well-built stone temple, though you can't see any details from here. There is a familiar smell of persimmons in the air.
<AshnabisGM> The temple is clearly a temple of the Voice, at least a century old but well-maintained and clearly in use. Smoke rises from the roof through a central chimney. Other than its state of repair, it appears very similar to the abandoned temple you saw in the swamp a couple months ago, from the outside at least.
<AshnabisGM> Alongside the temple sits a grove of persimmon trees, strikingly like the one at the previous temple. Below the trees grow more of the small white and purple flowers, like those you found before.
<AshnabisGM> Several cozy wooden houses, raised on low poles, lie beyond the temple, further down the gentle slope of the hill. They all appear to be inhabited and well-maintained. Some have clothing hung out to dry in the sun, and pens for ducks or goats.
<AshnabisGM> Most have small kitchen gardens beside them, with the first crops just now about ready for harvesting, and bundles of herbs hung to dry in the sheltered area under the eaves or beneath the house.
<AshnabisGM> On one of the sheltered porches, you can just make out that an older woman sits working at her weaving, occupied with the complex pattern of threads, and an older man in a black robe exits from the temple and makes his way into another house nearby.
<AshnabisGM> (there you go - that gives you a glimpse and you can make your way back without intruding further, and then wait for Jimba to pick you up ;)
<Veznara> (Yeah, that's enough. Let's sneak away...)
<Veznara> I think it would be best that nobody let Atsa know we saw that place. :/

Solos

The group talk on the boat ride back about what to do


* Veznara and Llillilli return to the group
* Daifan is cleaning up from their attempt at stabilizing Junan, who appears to be napping
<Daifan> What did you find?
<Llillilli> A problem
<Llillilli> There's a whole ass village back there.
<Veznara> Yes. There is a temple, too. But it is obviously not abandoned.
<Llillilli> Which Atsa obviously knows about, and obviously didn't want us to find
<Daifan> huh
<Veznara> Yes. How do you know her, again? You went shopping, and met her in her shop?
<Llillilli> Yeah
<Llillilli> WE're not bosom buddies.
<Daifan> hmm
<Veznara> Do you know her full name?
<Daifan> should we have known there was a village?
<Veznara> All the map says is 'temple'.
* Veznara takes it out and shows it to the group.
<Llillilli> Lerushti?
<Llillilli> I think
* Daifan looks at it and shrugs
<Veznara> Atsa Lerushti. Hmmm.
<Daifan> but nothing else here is well mapped, is it?
<Daifan> She said she had family who lived out this way
<Llillilli> Yeah. It's more that she didn't want it to be found than that it's not there already
<Daifan> well, or she didn't want a lighthouse built here
<Veznara> No, I think Llillilli is right. Obviously she doesn't want a lighthouse here, but I think that's why.
<Llillilli> Well, they're also farming that root, so there's that
<Veznara> The temple in that village looks very much like the one we found at the swamp.
<Veznara> I think they may have a great deal to hide here.
<Veznara> Whoever "they" may be.
<Veznara> There was even a grove of persimmon trees right by the temple...
<Daifan> hmm.
<Llillilli> Maybe they just want to be left alone to... do whatever they're doing.
<Veznara> No doubt.
<Veznara> Still, I imagine they would not be happy to find out that we've seen them.
<Llillilli> They know people would come and try to take their ways from them.
<Daifan> Mmhmm.
<Daifan> I don't think it is any of our business
<Daifan> we can just tell the land office there are peopel living here.
<Veznara> Well, did we determine that this is *not* a good site for a lighthouse? It seems unpromising to me.
<Daifan> It doesn't seem it is suitable for what they want anyway, is it?
<Llillilli> Yeah it's kind of sandy.
<Llillilli> Not great.
<Daifan> we can take some of the root back to look at, that's interesting.
<Veznara> It must have some uses...
<Llillilli> Maybe they use it for religious stuff.
<Daifan> ...do you think it could hve been used by someone to make a vision likewas had at the other temple?
<Llillilli> I dunno, maybe.
<Llillilli> But Jimba didn't eat any strange vegetables while we were there; neither did I
<Daifan> no but you didn not eat any today either
<Daifan> the Uruun did
<Veznara> Perhaps it's used in the ritual that caused them, though.
<Daifan> and they gave the visions
<Llillilli> I thought it was just because they'd been eating them and it was ... in them
* Llillilli frowns.
<Llillilli> Maybe though.
* Kennesaw_ is now known as Jimba
<Llillilli> Maybe it's... like fos, but for mind things
* Veznara takes out paper and drafting tools and begins to sketch a map of the village
<Veznara> (Can I make a roll? :D )
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+8
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 13 ].
* Veznara frowns
<Daifan> can't fos already do this kind of magic?
<Veznara> Not very good, I'm afraid. it only gives a basic idea...
<Llillilli> I dunno
<Llillilli> Not my department
<Veznara> Well. I'm sure Atsa will want to know what happened after she went off with Jimba. What will you tell her, the next time you see her?
<Llillilli> That it wasn't a good spot for a lighthouse?
* Llillilli shrugs
<Veznara> And if she asks how far we explored?
<Llillilli> We met her *once* before this. We don't have... a relationship
<Veznara> I understand. But I get the feeling that she may seek you out to ask about it, if she's nervous.
<Veznara> Maybe under the pretext that she has new products you may be interested in... and then slip in the question as idle small talk.
<Llillilli> SHe doesn't know where I live
* Llillilli gives you an odd look
* Daifan also
<Daifan> You are very paranoid, Hand Veznara
* Jimba 's boat can be seen in the middle distance.
<Veznara> Perhaps.
<Llillilli> Oh look there's Jimba.
* Veznara looks up
<Veznara> Oh, good.
* Jimba will pilot the boat to shore, or as close as feasible.
* Katenzhi pokes her head up over the side of the boat as it approaches.
* Daifan waves
<Veznara> Anyway, it's a small town. I'm sure we may all run into her again
* Veznara waves
<Katenzhi> I hear there's adventure afoot?
<Llillilli> uh... sure
<Llillilli> Hey Jimba, guess what
<Jimba> We miss anything? Everyone seems more or less as intact as they were when I left.
<Jimba> What?
<Llillilli> There's a whole village back there
<Jimba> Where?
<Llillilli> WHere the temple is
<Daifan> where there is a temple on the map
<Jimba> How?
<Daifan> ...presumably people built it
<Llillilli> It's around the temple.
<Jimba> Why?
<Llillilli> They're farming those roots.
<Katenzhi> What roots?
<Jimba> Who?
<Katenzhi> Where?
<Llillilli> The village people
<Katenzhi> Ahhh.
<Jimba> ...When?
<Daifan> these roots
<Veznara> Why don't we all get on the boat, and we can tell you on the way back?
<Jimba> Just thought I could manage all of them.
* Daifan points to a little pile we collected from around the uruun burrows
<Jimba> Okay, so, there's a village here?
<Veznara> I don't think we should stay around here too long.
<Jimba> Huh.
<Daifan> (white roots with purple flowers)
<Katenzhi> (I assume I recognize them from the drawing?)
<Veznara> Yes, right where the map said there was a temple.
<Jimba> Atsa's family she mentioned, maybe?
<Llillilli> I guess so yeah
<Jimba> Oh, yeah, hop aboard, folks.
<Llillilli> We didn't get too close.
<Curtana> (yes, Kat, you would recognize from the drawing)
<Llillilli> Kind of got the immpression they want to be left alone
* Jimba will help folks aboard as necessary.
<Jimba> Not unusual in these parts.
<Llillilli> Yeah. Relatable
<Veznara> There are a good ten huts or so. It depends how big Atsa's family is, but I think it must be more than just them.
* Daifan will take the samples, and maybe uruun meat it there's any spare >.>
<Veznara> So how was Atsa on the way back, Jimba?
<Jimba> Well, she could have meant her lineage.
<Jimba> In which case, ten huts may just be a few of them.
<Jimba> She was fine?
<Jimba> We chatted. She's friendly enough.
<Katenzhi> Holy shit... this looks like that stuff Bivizmi was telling me about...
<Jimba> What stuff?
<Katenzhi> Pale... something. Pale oracle maybe?
<Jimba> What do they do?
<Katenzhi> Bivizmi said something about them having fortune telling properties. She wasn't even sure it existed, though.
<Veznara> They do seem to provoke visions.
<Jimba> Well, it seems like they exist.
<Katenzhi> No kidding.
<Katenzhi> Guys this could be worth a fortune.
<Jimba> And they do seem to give visions. Shitty, downer visions.
<Daifan> hmm.
<Veznara> But nobody knows about it?
<Katenzhi> Well... we do now.
<Jimba> Hand Veznara, there's lots of things out here we Ombesh don't know about.
<Jimba> Remember how none of us had heard of bogwiggles?
<Katenzhi> I'm guessing at least a few other people do if they're farming it.
<Jimba> Or uruun, for that matter.
<Katenzhi> Unless they don't know what they've got.
<Veznara> Yes, but it isn't currently being sold in Kaskind.
<Jimba> If they're cultivating it, I'm assuming they know what it does.
<Katenzhi> They could just think it's regular fos
<Veznara> So either they don't know what it is... or there's another reason why they're keeping it to themselves.
<Jimba> Neither are bogwiggles or uruun. Not everything is a commodity.
<Llillilli> No, Atsa knew what it was.
* Jimba nods.
<Veznara> Yes. She seemed to me to want to lead us away - I think she was taken aback when you offered to take her and leave us behind.
<Llillilli> If it's a religious thing maybe that's why
<Jimba> Yeah, there couldn't possibly be a reason they might keep it from market. It's not like the fos rush had any detrimental effects on the Aummesh, not at all.
* Llillilli snorts
<Daifan> she said they cause hallucinations, and are dangerous.
<Katenzhi> So is regular fos.
<Daifan> mmhmm
<Jimba> And it *can* cause hallucinations.
<Jimba> Among other maladies.
<Jimba> Did the people in the village *do* anything?
<Jimba> Or are they just here, and not currently mapped?
<Veznara> They seemed to just be living there. There was an old woman weaving, people had hung up clothes to dry...
<Veznara> There was the temple, though. It looked very much like the ruins we found - there was even a persimmon grove beside it.
<Llillilli> Yeah it's just... a village.
* Llillilli shrugs
<Daifan> Maybe Atsa would be a good person to ask about their significance
<Katenzhi> huh
<Jimba> Or about the village.
<Veznara> Or she may not be happy at all that we found it.
<Jimba> I mean, if they're not mapped, maybe they have a reason to avoid contact with outsiders. That's their prerogative.
<Veznara> What did you talk about on the way back to town?
<Jimba> What does it matter if she's happy or not? Anybody planning on coming to get more, or cultivate it?
<Jimba> We chatted. Weather, family, market stuff. You know, small talk.
<Veznara> Any questions about the lighthouse?
<Katenzhi> Yes.
<Katenzhi> What lighthouse?
<Jimba> I think she meant if Atsa asked.
<Katenzhi> Oh.
<Katenzhi> Right.
<Jimba> We came out here to scout a building location for a new lighthouse and watchtower.
* Llillilli laughs. Once.
<Veznara> Yes. That was why we were here, and Atsa didn't seem too happy about it.
<Katenzhi> Ahhh
<Veznara> It seems likely that the village is the reason why.
<Jimba> Again, I wonder if she might not want an Ombesh outpost right next to her family's village.
<Jimba> It's a mystery. -_-
<Daifan> Mmhmm
<Daifan> that seems a reasonable concern
* Llillilli nods.
<Veznara> Yes.
<Daifan> and I think the office might not want to do so anyway - they told us to be respectful of the borders
<Llillilli> That's right...
* Jimba nods.
<Veznara> It doesn't seem like a good site anyway, from what we saw.
<Jimba> Exactly.
<Jimba> Isn't this all mostly a non-issue?
<Daifan> yes.
<Llillilli> As long as people don't get too interested in those roots
<Jimba> I guess the revelation radishes might be significant.
<Jimba> But that's not really our business.
<Jimba> I mean, I don't see a lot of market in them, unless they can maybe see good futures, too?
<Llillilli> I don't know. People around here will put anything in their bodies.
<Jimba> If they just work like the uruun, a plant that you eat so you can bite people and make them sad...not a ton of value there, I think.
<Katenzhi> Bivizmi seemed to think there would be a market for it.
<Veznara> What sort of visions did you have, then?
<Jimba> Oh, me, on a boat, as it was sinking.
<Katenzhi> That's not too far fetched with the way you steer.
<Jimba> Hey, it was because of a storm, in the vision. Though presumably I steered into the storm...
<Veznara> Maybe it was because you were already in a dangerous situation when the vision happened?
<Katenzhi> Even if it only tells bad futures, think how useful it could be if it can help you avoid them
<Jimba> If it was showing a future, and not, just, you know, something scary or depressing.
<Katenzhi> yeah
<Daifan> or even any kind of true future
<Jimba> Getting bitten by a mole, my first thought was not, "Oh, this must be the one true future."
<Llillilli> I refuse to believe a vegetable knows my future.
<Katenzhi> Really? that's where you draw the line?
* Jimba taps his nose and nods towards Llillilli.
<Llillilli> I can draw lots of lines
<Llillilli> It's really easy
* Katenzhi laughs
<Jimba> They're just lines.
* Llillilli draws her finger through the air to demonstrate.
<Jimba> It's like the easiest thing to draw.
* Daifan purses their lips to suppress a chuckle
<Veznara> One last thing, Jimba. Did you mention that I was a Hand?
<Jimba> I don't know? I don't think I talked about you on the way home, and I don't remember if it was mentioned when we introduced folks back there. Why?
<Veznara> It wasn't mentioned. When I saw that there was a temple marked on the map, I thought it might be a bad idea to look too obviously like a Hand, in case it would make anyone we found nervous.
<Veznara> So I just wonder, that's all.
<Veznara> The temple in that village just looks very much like the one we found.
<Jimba> Fair enough, I guess.
<Jimba> Okay, well, I mean, it's their land.
<Llillilli> They did have persimmons
<Llillilli> I guess that's where Atsa got them
* Daifan just shakes their head
* Veznara smiles
* Jimba snickers.
<Veznara> Am I being too paranoid, again?
<Daifan> yes.
<Jimba> Again?
<Veznara> I certainly hope so.
<Veznara> Daifan thinks I'm worrying about this too much.
<Jimba> About weird and creepy Aummesh temples?
* Veznara spreads her hands
<Jimba> I mean, that last one, sure, it's something to worry about, if you're dumb enough to go back.
<Llillilli> They are just... not for you
<Veznara> I wasn't planning on it.
<Jimba> Yeah, so, not a problem.
<Veznara> I hope not.

Junan and Daifan share some wine and flirt on the way back to town


* Daifan will come and check on you once we are all loaded back into the boat after JImba's Super Awkward trip to Kaskind ;)
<Daifan> Are you feeling any better?
<Junan> Still burns where I was nipped, but the wine dampens it a bit. Nothing I cant tolerate.
<Junan> Someone did some nice patchworking on me
<Junan> its appreciated
<Daifan> did you have a vision from these things?
<Daifan> llillilli and Jimba both mentioned it, but I didn't see anything
* Junan nods
* Junan picks up his lute and plucks a few notes
<Junan> you didn't miss out
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> not good then?
<Junan> did you want to hear what my dark mind conjured up to shaken my resolve?
<Daifan> if you want to tell
* Junan shrugs
<Daifan> better or worse than a burning temple?
<Junan> depends on your perspective
<Junan> I saw myself, old, drunk, and alone, longing for a pretty girl in a bar...and I spilled my wine trying to get to her.
<Daifan> well, that doesn't seem so likley
<Junan> exactly... I would never spill my wine
* Daifan smiles
* Junan strums a few cords
<Daifan> the skins are good for that
<Junan> that girl... you knew her?
<Daifan> Well.
* Daifan gives you an appraising look
<Daifan> Maybe...
<Daifan> I may have gone to her shop with the the others.
<Daifan> what would you think of that?
<Junan> I may not understand completely the others attitude, but I am surprised that the shopkeeper was so... accepting?
<Daifan> well, you are right, I don't expect many shopkeepers would be very accomodating, so why give them the trouble, hmm?
<Junan> You have such a pretty face, how would they forget you?
<Junan> although that one seemed to only have eyes for one person
<Daifan> that is true, she did
<Daifan> Though I hadn't noticed her interest when we were there
<Daifan> But she might not have recognized me today
<Daifan> I am glad she did not - trouble best avoided
* Junan nods
<Junan> its not like there aren't better things to worry about around here... you did her a favour
<Daifan> I did
<Daifan> Though
<Daifan> she did try to sell me her persimmon perfume
* Daifan wrinkles their nose
<Daifan> The aummesh have some strange ideas, I think
<Daifan> I don't know why you would want to smell like that.... and there are more fun ways to do so.
* Junan chuckles
<Junan> its not like Daligash... the fineries are not so easily obtained here... they must do with what they have... although I don't disagree on the sentiment
<Junan> its seems you found something that suited you regardless
<Daifan> I did... she did have other things that were very nice
<Daifan> But you are right, the nice things from home are harder to obtain
<Daifan> We tried another shop as well, but the owner wouldn't sell us anything because we all looked too poor.
<Daifan> "oh no, we have no stock, it's all spoken for for six months", when I can see it sitting on the shelf behind her, plain as day
* Junan picks some low ominous cords
<Daifan> her loss, in the end
<Junan> It displeases me to hear of my friends abused such
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> sadly I think that shop is one of the few places to buy such things from back home.
<Junan> I would have no issue tormenting her, if you wanted... or I could simple aid you in aquiring your desire.
* Junan muses
<Junan> what would be your want?
<Daifan> I thikn we provided sufficient torment of our own
* Daifan smiles though
<Daifan> I was looking for a bottle of Eghispe's Mystery.... but I did find something else at the local shop
* Junan nods
<Junan> Still I am loathe to leave the offence unresponded, but as not the wronged party, I accept your judgement.
<Daifan> well, I can't tell you what to do
<Daifan> I believe JImba was going to sully her name to his friends of note
<Junan> as long as something is being done
<Junan> didn't you take a little nip from those aggressive ground rats? nothing serious?
<Daifan> oh, no, nothing too bad, just a scratch
<Daifan> nothing like bogwiggles _
<Daifan> hardly worth wasting supplies on, I'll just check it when I get home
<Junan> If you're sure. It's not like I could do more than look and describe, or just hold things, but I don't mind helping.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> no, it will be alright
<Daifan> not worth peeling off the rest of my armour
<Daifan> I'd just have to put it back on, or carry it :p
<Daifan> Besides, I have alredy bled enough on this boat -_-
<Junan> I don't remember the land survey office mentioning the number of critters that munch on you with this job... oh they talked about the flies, but I'm sure vision inducing rodents and fanged frogs where not described
<Daifan> no, I am sure it was not!
<Junan> fortunately I do the reporting on such assignments. I'll make the recomendation to update the job description.
<Daifan> but then no one will apply ;)
<Junan> or if they do, they'll be better prepared
* Junan plays a few quick cords
* Junan picks up the wineskin
<Junan> glad this is a short boat ride
<Daifan> yes, that's a nice change
* Junan sets the skin down for her
* Daifan will take a swig
<Daifan> ...thank you
* Junan smiles
<Daifan> this is pretty nice stuff
<Junan> advantage of having the new stock arrive... get to pick the best.
<Junan> especially if you happen to know the right people
<Daifan> well I promise not to tell them who you are wasting it on ;)
<Junan> neither will I. Don't want them to be jealous.
* Daifan smiles wryly at that
<Daifan> Is this from Daligash?
* Daifan asks, taking another sip
* Junan nods
* Daifan wipe then set it down
<Junan> enjoy it while it lasts... was able to nab a couple of bottles from the Senator's delivery
<Daifan> the senator? Oh my
<Daifan> very fancy
* Daifan will defninitely have some more :V
<Junan> let me describe the scene to you... me... these look good, mind if I take a couple...
<Junan> Senator: waves hand dismissively
<Daifan> think nothing of it, my young friend?
<Junan> which is "Senator" for just pay for them
<Daifan> heh
<Daifan> well that is very Daligashi
<Daifan> Everything has a price, no matter who you are
* Junan nods
<Daifan> do you miss it, or are you glad to be away from more than boring family business?
* Junan picks a few slow notes
<Junan> I don't miss the family business
<Junan> and the rest... well... we all have our reasons for being here... some good some bad.
<Junan> but I think mole bites is enough of the bad for today.
<Junan> and you? Waiting to strike your fortune here?
<Daifan> I am starting to think my fortune will be to be eaten by something out in the swamp\
<Junan> not my prefered local for lunch
* Daifan bursts out laughing
<Daifan> that was bold
* Daifan tries to gauge if you actaully meant that to coe out how it did
<Daifan> or maybe you meant smething else?
* Junan plays a few light hearted notes
<Junan> I'm cursed to be alone... who can say?
<Daifan> oh I woudln't put to much stock in the foresight of some dead groundrats
* Junan sings a few quick bars in Tzameddi
* Junan gives a sly smile
<Daifan> what's that?
<Junan> ~try as I may ~ my lady will always have her way~
<Junan> rough translation
<Daifan> mmmhmmm
<Daifan> Well, once you find her, I am sure you will be all set
* Daifan says, managing to recover a little reserve
<Daifan> Though I don't know, I am not so sure it is love you are loking for
* Daifan teases
* Junan plucks a few high notes
<Junan> alas she has pierced me true... would I even know love if I found it?
<Junan> some songs last forever, others just the moments they are played. Even if both are true, does that mean we should not play the cords?
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> Not all songs are worth hearing
* Junan chuckles
<Daifan> Some are dull, or tired, other can be more...discordant
<Daifan> and then, it depends on the audience, too, doens't it?
<Junan> I would say sometimes the tunes you least expect are the ones that stick with you.
<Junan> regardless, tonight no songs will be sung my me... I'm just going to be nursing my wounds
<Daifan> Mmhmm, you can think of a good story to tell about your scars
<Daifan> We should have had Atsa look at you instead of the dog though
<Junan> thats hardly the story I wanted
<Daifan> oh I see...
<Daifan> Well. I should let you rest up
<Junan> you rest well too
<Daifan> I will - and you can think about what kind of ending this story you are working on might really have.
* Daifan will get up and leave you to your wine and song and/or nappig and go mentally scold themself a bit :x
* Junan smiles as she goes

Llillilli visits Shulilae to ask about the unusual plant


* Llillilli will seek Shulilae out at their home
<Shulilae> Ah, hello, Llillilli. It is good to see you.
<Llillilli> Hey.
<Llillilli> We found some weird plants today at work. I brought some back.
<Llillilli> You probably already know what they are but...
* Llillilli pulls them out of her puch.
<Shulilae> Oh? How interesting.
* Shulilae looks at them
<Llillilli> I thought maybe you'd be interested anyway
<Shulilae> !roll 1d20+16
* Lan-werk rolls for Shulilae: [ 1d20+16 ] getting [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 16 ] totals [ 20 ].
<Shulilae> Hmmm ... I will admit, I have not seen these before.
<Shulilae> They look like fos, only the purple is in the flower and not in the root.
<Llillilli> Oh.
* Llillilli is excited to show you something new
<Shulilae> Where were these?
<Llillilli> They make you see stuff.
<Shulilae> Hmm? What do you mean, 'stuff'?
<Llillilli> LIke visions. Hallucinations I guess? I dunno.
<Llillilli> Someone called it the 'pale oracle'
<Shulilae> You have eaten it?
<Llillilli> We found some animals eating it, and when they bit us, some of us saw things.
<Llillilli> Things that looked like... well like they could be the future, I guess.
<Shulilae> What sort of animals?
<Llillilli> But I don't trust a vegetable to know that.
<Llillilli> Burrowing creatures.
<Llillilli> Small, furry, with sort of tentacles on their noses.
<Shulilae> Those I have seen. But I have never been bitten by one, thankfully.
<Llillilli> I'm given to understand they don't usually have that effect.
<Shulilae> Given to understand by whom?
<Llillilli> This was near the coast, southwest of the river mouth.
<Llillilli> A local woman.
<Llillilli> She called the root 'shulur', said it can cause hallucinations
<Llillilli> Her name is Atsa, she has a shop here.
<Shulilae> Hmmm. I have never heard the word, but then, there are many human words I don't know.
<Shulilae> I wonder though.
<Llillilli> Wonder what?
<Shulilae> If you get a snake drunk and then it bites you, its venom does not make you drunk, just dead.
<Llillilli> Oh.
<Shulilae> And these animals, if they don't have venom, how would they cause you to have a vision?
<Shulilae> There are many things about fos, and human magic, that I don't understand, of course.
<Llillilli> What about those frogs. The ones that eat all the poison bugs.
<Llillilli> ANd then they become poisonous too.
<Shulilae> I see what you're saying. I've just never heard of fos working that way.
<Llillilli> You think they're related? I guess it does look pretty similar
<Shulilae> That is obvious. It is a different species, but related.
<Shulilae> Perhaps it grows in a slightly different soil, or a different environment. Where was it exactly?
* Llillilli tries to describe the area as precisely as she can.
<Llillilli> There was also... a little village, a bit further inland. We saw people there farming these plants.
<Llillilli> Humans, I mean.
<Shulilae> Ahh, so perhaps they have been cultivated for this purpose.
<Llillilli> Yeah, these ones weren't in the village, but they could have spread
<Shulilae> But the woman you spoke to, she didn't tell you any more than that?
<Llillilli> No... I think she had come from the village, but she didn't say.
<Llillilli> I don't think they want people to know it's there.
<Llillilli> The village I mean.
<Llillilli> She didn't seem to care if we knew about the roots.
<Shulilae> Hmm, that is very strange, don't you think?
<Llillilli> Well, I don't know.
<Llillilli> The humans here had their own ways before fos was discovered and the Ombesh came
<Llillilli> The Ombesh want them to change their ways. Maybe they don't want to.
<Llillilli> I wouldn't want to.
<Shulilae> Hmm, yes, no one is saying they should. But it sounds like few even know about these shulur roots.
<Shulilae> I think I would have heard of them before, if they were commonly known.
* Llillilli nods.
<Llillilli> Probably they saw what happened with fos
<Llillilli> And they don't want even more people coming
<Llillilli> That'd be a good reason to keep it quiet
<Shulilae> I suppose so. Still, it's odd.
<Shulilae> So ... what do you plan to do with this new knowledge?
<Llillilli> Bring it to you, I guess.
<Llillilli> I don't really have any use for depressing plants.
* Shulilae laughs.
<Shulilae> If these burrowing creatures are eating it and it gives them a defense mechanism, that would explain why it has the effect it does if you are bitten.
<Shulilae> That wouldn't mean it has the same effect if you eat it, or prepare it like fos.
<Llillilli> I'm not really keen to test it
<Llillilli> maybe Katenzhi will.
<Llillilli> I mean... probably she will.
<Shulilae> A human herbalist would be better suited to determine and test its properties. I presume that it would be as ineffective on hith as fos is.
<Llillilli> If it's the same family, that's probably true
<Llillilli> I don't think I know any herbalists.
<Shulilae> If you would like to leave one with me, though, I'd be happy to try.
<Llillilli> Of course!
<Llillilli> And I can show you where we found them... On a map, or we could go on the boat.
<Shulilae> Either way would be fine, but if the humans in the area are already nervous, it might seem bad if we were to return so soon.
<Llillilli> Yeah I guess.
<Shulilae> If you can show me and tell me where it is, I may go out there on my own - the humans won't bother me.
<Llillilli> Sure!
* Llillilli will show them on a map, and leave the roots she brought.
<Shulilae> I will see what I can discern.
<Shulilae> How have you been, otherwise?
<Llillilli> Okay.
<Llillilli> Well. I mean.
<Llillilli> Nobody's tried to kill me.
<Llillilli> And Fifelus and Hillisi have been showing me some things.
<Llillilli> SInce, you know, the thing that happened
<Shulilae> Ahh, I see.
<Shulilae> Fifelus is extraordinarily well-connected in the king's inner circle. A good ally to have, if indeed you can build such a bond.
<Llillilli> Oh, really?
<Llillilli> I mean, I guess I knew they were a war captain
<Shulilae> We share many ideas in common with, and yet, perhaps due to being more politically astute, Fifelus has managed to not make quite so many enemies.
<Llillilli> Have you seen Hefeth since what happened?
<Shulilae> Hefeth? Oh, yes, just last week. Seemed unfazed, really.
<Shulilae> That's the second time you just said 'what happened'. Are you having difficulty with your vocabulary? Or with the concept that you were attacked by a hith?
<Llillilli> ...
* Llillilli shrugs guiltily.
<Shulilae> You will come to understand, soon enough if not already, that binding yourself to hith ways is not an escape from the pettiness and viciousness which you have come, wrongly, to see as solely human.
<Llillilli> Oh I'm understanding.
<Shulilae> There is much beauty in our ways, but in choosing to learn from me, you close off other paths. And that is all right - it is how it must be.
<Llillilli> At least it makes more sense.
<Llillilli> Your ways don't include stealing babies for a stupid made up reason.
<Shulilae> That is true ...
* Shulilae pauses as if wondering whether to say something.
<Shulilae> Well.
<Shulilae> Thank you for bringing me these fascinating roots. Do I have your permission to cut it apart to analyze it?
<Llillilli> Sure.
<Llillilli> I brought them for you.
<Shulilae> Next time, perhaps you will join Helithae and I for dinner, and we can talk? Perhaps you could even bring your family to visit? We would be honoured to have them as guests.
<Llillilli> Okay...
<Llillilli> I will bring them sometime.
<Shulilae> Thank you for coming by. I am not good with company, but yours always brightens my day.
<Llillilli> I'll let you know if I find anything else interesting.

Daifan's roommates console them after their rough day


* Daifan will come home from work mopey and covered in blood (not theirs)?
* Idovo is taking care of the baby while Chimi makes dinner.
* Idovo looks shocked when you arrive, though.
<Idovo> Are you okay? :o
<Daifan> oh... just fine.
<Idovo> what happened? are you hurt?
* Idovo comes over to look you up and down and make sure you're not bleeding
<Daifan> I'm fine, really.
<Daifan> We were attacked by some more wildlife. They didn't even touch me.
* Chimi looks up from preparing some dough for flatbread.
<Daifan> some of the others were more hurt, and I helped them as best I could
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> they'll be okay
<Chimi> Oh, ugh... that sounds awful ::(
<Daifan> it was mostly just strange.
<Idovo> Here, there's some water in the bucket, and I'll find you some clean clothes to change into, if you want to wash up.
<Daifan> thanks
* Idovo gestures to the bucket that is for washing.
<Chimi> What happened?
<Daifan> we were looking at some land out in the bay to the east
* Idovo goes to retrieve some clean clothig for you, setting baby Shira down on the bed for a moment to do so.
<Daifan> there were some creatures that lived there - I guess they were in some kind of mating season, so they were aggressive.
<Chimi> D:
* Daifan keeeps an eye on her, though she's hardly going anywhere at this age :3
<Daifan> the males were baerely bigger than lil' asshole... they had weird tentacle faces
<Chimi> gross
<Daifan> the female was bigger
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> they're kind of cute when they're not trying to bite you
<Daifan> but if they bit you, sometimes it made people see some kind of vision of the future
<Daifan> or a future, anyway
<Idovo> that's weird
<Daifan> it didn't happen to me.
<Daifan> yes
<Daifan> They were eating some weird plant - not fos, but maybe something like it
* Idovo brings you a clean dashi and will go back to tending the baby, so you can wash/change in "private"
* Daifan will do that
<Chimi> but you're okay
<Daifan> mmhmm.
* Daifan plop themself down on the floor once they are changed and clean.
<Daifan> I'm fine :|
* Idovo brings over Shira and will sit down with you, propping her up in his lap so she can look around.
<Idovo> You know what makes everyone feel better? Babies.
<Chimi> That's a lie and you know it :p
<Idovo> Maybe. But I thought it might help in this case :3
<Daifan> :/
<Daifan> I don't know. She's very cute but I don't think that's helping
<Idovo> :/
<Idovo> Is something else bothering you?
<Chimi> Other than him, he means.
<Daifan> Just me being me, that's all :/
<Idovo> What's that mean?
<Daifan> Oh... I don't even know. :/
<Daifan> I just...made myself sad
<Chimi> Is it hedal trouble? Are they being jerks?
<Daifan> no, they're all being very nice
<Daifan> They really don't understand.
<Daifan> it isn't even that though
<Daifan> though it doesn't help
* Chimi puts the first flatbread into the frypan so the smell of cooking bread drifts through the house.
* Chimi flips it, as it only takes a few minutes to cook.
<Chimi> Here - have some food, that helps.
<Daifan> I would have brought home some meat if I wasn't worried it would make us all see things.
* Chimi takes it out and adds crab meat, topped with some shredded cabbage and pieces of pickled melon.
* Daifan says continuing to lie on the floor
* Chimi brings you the bread wrapped around the filling.
<Daifan> thanks
* Daifan will eat even though they aren't really feeling hungry because when there is food you eat it.
<Idovo> are you missing home?
* Idovo guesses, uncertainly
<Daifan> I'm....thinking about it a lot.
<Daifan> :|
* Daifan chews very deliberately
<Daifan> I'm really trying not to
<Idovo> well... you know we're here for you.
<Daifan> I know... It's just nothing new.
<Daifan> just the same old things, and I should know better than to think things couold ever really be different.
<Chimi> What would you want to be different, if you could?
<Daifan> oh... I don't know where to start :/
<Daifan> Maybe that I could just be happy wityh what I have :|
* Chimi brings Idovo over his dinner, and then will make one for herself as well.
<Chimi> It's okay to want more, though. That's why I came here - to try and get more than what we could get back home.
<Daifan> maybe I just want the wrong things :/
* Idovo frowns slightly as he eats, dropping a piece of cabbage on the baby.
* Daifan picks it off her
<Idovo> oops
<Chimi> Oh no. wait. is this a crush?
<Daifan> NOt...not really.
<Chimi> but sort of?
<Daifan> it's bigger than that.
<Daifan> I mean
<Daifan> Not the crush, that's not so serious....
* Chimi makes a "yessss I was right" face but goes back to listening seriously.
* Daifan frowns
<Daifan> I told you how I went to thosew shops with the hedal?
* Chimi nods
<Daifan> we came across the woman who ran oen of them - the nice one
<Daifan> I was so scared she would recognize me, but she didn't.
<Idovo> well... that's good, at least.
<Daifan> it made it seem so... foolish, when before it was just fun
<Daifan> and for what?
<Daifan> What do I need make up for, really, or perfume :|
<Chimi> To feel pretty and smell nice? It's okay to want those things - for yourself or for someone else.
<Daifan> it feels... not okay.
<Daifan> pointless, in so many ways :/
<Chimi> Well, I like it. I think you look beautiful when you get all fancied up.
<Idovo> you look beautiful anyway :p
* Idovo corrects, with his mouth full.
<Chimi> But you don't need to do it, if it doesn't feel right for you right now.
<Daifan> nothing feels right for me right now :/
<Chimi> :/
<Daifan> I have so many other things I shoudl be worrying about, too, and I feel like I can't do anything about any of them either :\
<Chimi> like what?
<Daifan> the budal who are coming...
<Idovo> well, we can do something about that. Weren't you going to talk to Adachu and Labu about whether they could help?
<Daifan> I feel like I hven't really done anything to help them... they could be here any time now
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I still don't know what to say to them, but I guess.... something is better than nothing
<Daifan> but even then... they're still going to be trapped on that evilo witch's lands
<Idovo> there's a lot that can happen once they're here
<Daifan> I guess...
<Idovo> we've gotten through worse than this before.
<Daifan> okay.
<Daifan> I guess... I shoudl go and do that
<Chimi> good luck...

Daifan visits Adachu to seek help with housing the incoming corpseborn


<Chimi> (okay, over to Adachu and Labu's house?)
<Daifan> (okay :)
* Adachu and Labu have a large, newly-constructed home towards the edge of Banei. When you approach, he's sitting out on the sheltered porch, having an evening pipe.
<Adachu> Ah, Smiles - good evening.
<Daifan> Evening, Fleabite
<Daifan> bugs not too bad out here? or does the smoke keep them away?
<Adachu> I find it helps, yes. Come on up and join me, if you like.
<Daifan> thanks
* Adachu is a balding man in his early 30s, with a drooping mustache and dark hair
<Adachu> How are you doing?
<Daifan> There's something I'd been hoping to talk to you about, anyway
<Adachu> oh?
<Daifan> Somethintg I heard about that I think will affect the community here very deeply
* Adachu furrows his brow, looking concerned
<Daifan> it is not something I know how to prepare us for, because it will be a matter, I think, of resources.
<Daifan> DO you know Galdai Ebesnata?
<Adachu> I know the name - I don't know her personally or anything.
<Daifan> she's a princess from Taizi
<Daifan> I think she doesn't liek that the Hand here control all the labor for the plantations, because they handle the bubun
* Adachu nods, listening
<Daifan> so, she has been looking ffor other ways to meet her needs
<Daifan> So - this is somethign I heard wehen I was at the fort for work one day, and I am not supposed to know it.
<Daifan> But she is bringing in budal, from Taizi
<Daifan> many of them, though I don't have a good idea of the number
<Adachu> to work at farming fos?
<Daifan> at elast 50, maybe twice that, or more
<Daifan> yes
<Adachu> oh... that's a lot.
<Daifan> these will be people that taizi has declared the worst sort of criminals - however many 'criminals' they need to satisfy a princess who needs cheap workers
<Daifan> Mmhmm, it is a lot
<Daifan> they will be told thqat they have a choice to either be sentenced to death for their crimes, or else come here and serve her.
* Adachu frowns
<Daifan> She is building a camp on her lands, and she intends to keep them there
<Adachu> That is one of those things that could either be good or bad. I'm guessing from your tone that you don't think it will be good.
<Daifan> I really don't, no
<Daifan> She is a cruel woman
<Daifan> she wants these people in debt to her, and away fomr anyone who could help or bsupport them.
* Adachu nods
<Daifan> I don't know when they will be here, but soon I think
<Daifan> They may all be form the same aizer
<Adachu> A lot of criminals, all from the same aizer? What did they do?
* Daifan waves a hand
<Daifan> be budal?
<Daifan> maybe they wrote a mean poem about their emperor :p
<Adachu> :/
<Adachu> That is quite a predicament.
<Daifan> it is
<Daifan> I think it woudl be much better for the4se people if we could have them in Banei.... but that is a lot fo people to bring in all at once
* Adachu puffs at his pipe, considering
<Daifan> and some people would...resist the idea of accepting so many Ombesh
<Adachu> It would be, yes. There would need to be places for them to stay, to start with.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I know the new hedal when they came in the rainy season, sytayed in large tents for a while...
<Adachu> That's one possibility. But setting up something like that would be costly, and also give away the plan for them to come here, rather than staying on her plantation.
* Adachu considers a bit more
<Adachu> It's not impossible - definitely something to keep in mind. But there might be other options that are less obvious.
<Daifan> such as what?
<Adachu> Well, one option is that people here might be able to accommodate new arrivals in their homes, at least for a short while. It would depend on the numbers, of course, and I'm sure not everyone would be willing. But it would have the advantage that we wouldn't need any extra out-of-the-ordinary supplies, like tents.
<Adachu> Another, which would require a bit more coordination, is that we could build a structure to help house them temporarily. Something that we could disguise the purpose of - pass it off as a barn, perhaps, for storing supplies or housing animals.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I'd thought of that - building a structure, but yes, we would need a good cover for it
<Daifan> and as I said.... it is a matter of resources.
* Adachu nods
<Adachu> I understand why you thought to approach me, then.
<Daifan> Yes.
<Daifan> I know there are some who see you and Wetfoot at a distance to the rest of the community here, because of what you have managed to achieve... but I don't think that is true.
<Adachu> We've been lucky.
<Daifan> Sometimes that n happens to us
* Daifan gives a small smile
<Adachu> Perhaps it's time we gave something back to the town. Something like a good-sized granary, for instance, that could be used to dry and store produce for the whole town.
<Daifan> I think that would be a wonderful idea.
<Adachu> I'll talk it over with my wife, but I think I can persuade her of the soundness of this idea.
<Daifan> Thank you - this eases my mind significantly
* Adachu smiles
<Adachu> Thank you for bringing this to me.
<Daifan> I only wish I had not waited as long as I did.
<Adachu> Well, we will do what we can.
<Daifan> I will keep my ears open to learn more
<Adachu> Very well. Take care, Smiles.
<Daifan> you too, Fleabite.
* Daifan will head off back home, feeling a little better at least

Daifan returns home to a nice surprise


* Chimi welcomes you back in when you get home, but tells you to close your eyes.
<Chimi> It's a surprise.
<Daifan> okay....
* Daifan will close their eyes
* Chimi leads you in, steering you so you don't bump into anything
<Chimi> Okay, you can open them now.
* Daifan will do so
* Chimi has set up part of the small house with a curtain for privacy, and a hot (if small) bath, into which she's apparently dumped some kind of flower petals (not persimmons though ;) to make it smell nice and look pretty.
<Chimi> I thought, you didn't really get to clean up properly earlier, and maybe this would be nicer...
<Daifan> ohhhh :x
<Daifan> its lovely :x
<Chimi> Anyway, go to it before the water gets cold - I'll leave you alone :)
* Daifan will give her a hug
<Daifan> Thank you :x
* Chimi hugs you back, and then will leave you to your bath
* Daifan sniffs but will very much luxuriate in the bath until it is gone cold

Veznara visits the scholar Wu'aranxe


* Veznara travels to Timiil one morning to call upon the Hrofnander scholar Wu'aranxe
* Wu`aranxe lives in a small, simple hut on the outskirts of the town.
* Veznara goes over there after checking in at the Timiil temple
* Veznara will knock at the door
* Wu`aranxe is tall with unkempt straight brown hair and piercing hazel eyes, perhaps your age or a bit older. His eyes are sunken and he wears his beard long and uncombed. He is wearing a dashi with a leather belt studded with bone and stone ornaments, and a copper and leather headdress woven in a complex pattern. Across his chest he wears a thin bone slab engraved with complex designs, looped around his neck with a thin cord.
* Wu`aranxe looks at you as if trying to place you.
<Wu`aranxe> Yes, do I know you?
<Veznara> Hello. Scholar Wu'aranxe? I am Hand Veznara Kezondo.
<Wu`aranxe> Scholar, hmmm? Strange upon strange.
<Wu`aranxe> Hand - a priestess?
<Veznara> Yes.
<Wu`aranxe> I have no need of new faith.
<Veznara> Oh, no, I'm not here on Hand business.
<Veznara> I recently went to consult Lady Hegha Arevagho for help deciphering a historical text, and she was good enough to suggest that you might be able to help me.
<Veznara> I hope I'm not disturbing you? I could come back at a later time, if that is more convenient.
<Veznara> If you're willing to help, that is. Which I hope you are.
<Wu`aranxe> I ... no, that is, yes, I would be ... you say that Hegha sent you?
* Veznara smiles
<Veznara> She recommended you as someone who could help with this text I've been looking at. I don't know if that counts as "sent', exactly.
<Wu`aranxe> I'm not sure how I can decipher a text. I don't read your languages.
<Veznara> It's certain names in the text - they appear to be derived from the Hrofnand language, and I was hoping you might be able to tell me more about them.
<Veznara> (We are speaking Aummesh, correct?)
<Wu`aranxe> (yes I assume so. That's how he would have addressed you initially)
<Veznara> I'm afraid they may be mangled - it's from an Ombesh text, so the writer most likely distorted them slightly.
<Veznara> Still, I hoped you might be able to help me puzzle it out, if you're willing.
<Wu`aranxe> Ombesh? My people have never spoken to the Ombesh in ten generations.
<Veznara> (It was Ombesh, wasn't it? :P )
<Veznara> Yes. It's from a very old text about the history of this area.
<Wu`aranxe> Hmm. Well ... why should I help you?
<Veznara> Well, I understand that you are a storyteller of your people; and this is a story that pertains to them.
<Wu`aranxe> I am the Channel of the Xaswat, yes, the keeper of my people's tales.
<Veznara> Well, here - I did bring a modest gift.
* Veznara offers him the bottle of wine
* Wu`aranxe takes it.
<Veznara> Should we perhaps discuss further arrangements?
<Veznara> Would you wish an honorarium of some kind?
<Wu`aranxe> A ... I don't know that word.
<Wu`aranxe> (and honestly your Aummesh is probably not good enough anyway so you just used the Ombesh word for 'honorarium', you elitist snob! :)
<Veznara> A consultation fee.
<Wu`aranxe> Yes, I will take a fee in exchange for my ... scholar services.
<Veznara> What are your rates?
<Wu`aranxe> I will take ... two gold horns for each visit you require.
<Veznara> (Can I Sense Motive to see whether he's setting the price high & I can haggle? But I guess we don't have the rolling app up...)
<Wu`aranxe> (honestly you think he just made up a number)
<Veznara> (That's like 2gp? The equivalent of 4 nights' stay at a common but not poor inn?)
<Wu`aranxe> (something like that)
* Veznara looks at him carefully for a moment, then smiles and nods
<Veznara> Very well. Lady Hegha speaks highly of you - I'm sure you will be most helpful.
<Wu`aranxe> All right, come in then.
<Veznara> Thank you.
* Veznara enters the hut as invited
* Wu`aranxe opens up a window - the place stinks like something, you're not sure what. He deposits the wine bottle on a shelf and sits on a rough-hewn stool, and pulls up an upside-down crate for you.
<Veznara> Thank you.
* Veznara sits gracefully, and takes out the scroll
<Veznara> (Were there any pertinent maps or illustrations? If so, I assume I've copied them over as well...)
<Wu`aranxe> (probably not really)
<Veznara> So, I was thinking I could read these sections out to you, and that you could tell me whether you recognize the names - or something close to them.
<Wu`aranxe> Hmm, yes. Go ahead.
* Veznara does so, occasionally pausing to see whether he has anything to say
<Wu`aranxe> Well ... hrrrrm ... there are dozens of languages of the various nations. I don't speak them all.
<Veznara> Do you recognize some of them?
<Wu`aranxe> My own people, the Xaswat, are very old and have many stories that go back to those times.
* Veznara nods
<Wu`aranxe> We have interacted with you deathfriends for as long as we can remember.
<Veznara> Do you recognize anything here?
<Veznara> I imagine it may be from a very different perspective... but still?
<Wu`aranxe> Well ... frankly you're butchering whatever it is that you think might be our language. But ... yes, I think that some of the names of people might be Xaswat names.
<Wu`aranxe> I'm not sure what you want me to say.
<Veznara> Can you tell me which names? And what do they mean?
<Wu`aranxe> Well, the name you said as Zutoregu ... One of my ancestors, from long ago, is Zdreig. That could be the same person.
<Wu`aranxe> You Ombesh always end up putting in more sounds than you need to in our names.
* Veznara smiles
<Veznara> I apologize. I hope you will tell me how to pronounce them correctly. "Zdreig", you say.
<Wu`aranxe> I understand, you're just reading what's there.
<Wu`aranxe> What kind of book is this that you're reading to me from? These are ... priests?
<Veznara> Yes. It's from a very old text about priests who traveled through these lands, and an accounting of what they saw here.
<Veznara> Priests and priestesses both, actually.
<Wu`aranxe> I don't think any of our people were ever deathfriends.
<Veznara> Perhaps not. This was a time when they were trying to spread our faith. But I do not think they had much success.
<Wu`aranxe> I don't understand what it is that you really want to know.
<Wu`aranxe> Even if you can find an old name that is a Xaswat name, how does that help you?
<Veznara> I don't know. Perhaps to connect it to a more modern name.
<Veznara> For example...
* Veznara mentions the name of the local chieftain who adopted the child, preferably without connecting it with the event (was it Zdreig?)
<Veznara> Does that mean anything in particular?
<Wu`aranxe> No ... but I would need to think about whether it refers to another language, or perhaps one of the Lost Tribes.
<Veznara> The Lost Tribes?
<Wu`aranxe> Those who have not survived to the present, and exist in our memories only.
<Veznara> Ah. I see.
<Veznara> As a Channel of the Xaswat, I imagine that remembering them is one of your responsibilities?
<Wu`aranxe> Yes, that's right. My role is to keep the lore, the stories, all of it, alive, and to pass it on.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> But none of these names suggest such a connection to you offhand.
<Wu`aranxe> Perhaps ... I would need to think on this more. This is not something I have considered.
<Veznara> Very well. Perhaps I should come back in a few days, when you have had time to think on them?
<Wu`aranxe> Yes, that would be ideal.
<Veznara> I shall do that, then.
* Veznara rises, and places two gold horns on the table.
<Wu`aranxe> Thank you, Hand Veznara Kezondo.
<Veznara> Thank you, Wu'aranxe. I look forward to consulting with you again.
<Veznara> In a few days, then. Perhaps some answers will become clear in that time.
* Veznara smiles and nods, then leaves

Balinteze visits Daifan to give them some information and an item to help in their snooping at Galdai Ebesnata's estate


* Balinteze will catch you after work, before you go back to Banei one day. By which I mean, you'll see Kemai loitering around outside, and get the hint to go talk to them ;)
* Daifan slips over
<Daifan> Hey...
<Balinteze> Hi. Can we talk?
<Daifan> Sure.
* Daifan probably knows somewhere a little out of general notice we can go
* Balinteze will walk aside with you, into a small courtyard beyond the next few buildings.
* Balinteze looks a bit conflicted over something.
<Daifan> Did you learn something new?
<Balinteze> well, first I wanted to say I'm sorry.
<Daifan> It's okay.
<Daifan> I'm sure you know your business much better than me.
<Balinteze> Maybe. But you're allowed to make your own decisions. And I'm the one who told you about this in the first place, so it isn't really fair of me to expect you not to try to do something.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Well I haven't yet.
<Daifan> Well. I talked to Fleabite.
<Balinteze> Okay. What did he say?
<Daifan> he and Wetfoot are looking to build a granary for Banei, it seems.
<Daifan> a nice big one.
<Balinteze> that seems like a prudent plan.
* Daifan nods
<Balinteze> store up food for the community and so on...
<Daifan> indeed.
<Balinteze> And they have enough to give a little back.
<Daifan> Mmhmm.
<Daifan> anyway, that's one piece.
<Balinteze> It's a good start.
<Balinteze> So, I said last time I was going to talk to people back home, and see what more I could learn?
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> any luck?
<Balinteze> I did, and I found out something more about the prisoners.
<Balinteze> They're all from the same aizer, and they were convicted under some old law of the Empire, one that really never gets used anymore.
* Balinteze lowers their voice a bit.
<Balinteze> They were convicted of witchcraft.
* Daifan mentally braces themself
<Daifan> oh sure, so go send them to work for the mystic :p
<Daifan> on a fos plantation
<Daifan> perfect logic
* Daifan rolls their eyes\
<Daifan> what are they supposed to have done?
<Balinteze> I don't know, specifically. As far as I can tell, that law kind of covers 'harmful magic stuff that isn't covered elsewhere'. My first guess was, maybe they're using it to try and prosecute them for pengi?
<Daifan> bah. They are using it to fill a quota. >:|
<Balinteze> Well, that's probably true.
<Balinteze> It's a bullshit law however you look at it.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> how many?
<Balinteze> If you kill someone with magic, that's just murder. If you harm someone with magic, that's still just assault. If you steal something using magic, it's theft. What the fuck is "witchcraft" supposed to be?
* Balinteze simmers down a bit
<Balinteze> My contact said it was around 60 of them.
<Daifan> okay
<Daifan> that;s better than a hundred...
* Balinteze nods
<Balinteze> Anyway, that's all I could get.
<Daifan> do we have any better idea of when to expect them?
<Daifan> okay.
<Daifan> Thank you.
<Balinteze> Only that my contact said the ship had left. But their arrival could be delayed by weather or who knows what other troubles...
* Daifan sighs
<Daifan> Do you know anything about the ship itself?
<Balinteze> No.
<Daifan> Hrm, too bad.
<Daifan> Jimba knows lots of ship people, maybe someone could have kept an eye out
<Balinteze> My contact's not a ship expert, I think they all look the same to him ;)
<Daifan> I can tell them apart but I still woudn't be able to describe one well.
* Balinteze nods
<Balinteze> So... you're still thinking of going to have a look at the, ah, prospective housing situation?
<Daifan> yes.
<Daifan> I should probably just do it and stop putting it off
<Balinteze> Alright.
<Daifan> I have lots of excuses I could use if someone questions why we are there
<Balinteze> If you're going to, then... take this. Just bring it back, okay?
* Balinteze takes out from a pouch at their belt what looks like a plain grey silk mask.
<Daifan> ...what is it?
<Balinteze> It's probably easiest if I show you.
* Balinteze looks around again to make sure no one happens to be walking down the alley right this moment, and puts the mask on. They immediately get a sort of grey, washed out appearance over their entire body, which helps them blend into the shadows of the courtyard.
<Daifan> :o
<Balinteze> That's only part of it.
* Balinteze gazes at you for a moment and then their face seems to shift, until it looks like you. It's like looking into a slightly off mirror of yourself.
<Daifan> :o :o
<Daifan> that is powerful magic...
* Balinteze slips the mask off, and is themself again.
<Balinteze> It's useful. The ability to hide is always enhanced, but the face switch can only be done once a day, and only on a person you can see at that moment.
<Balinteze> So, for instance, a guard, or a servant, or someone who is supposed to be where you're trying to get to.
<Balinteze> It lasts for about an hour when you switch to another's face. And it isn't perfect - it just helps you look more like them, so you could pass in a pinch.
<Daifan> okay...
* Balinteze passes the mask to you.
<Daifan> It would only work for me though, so maybe it woudl be better to go alone. I'd been planning to bring someone else with me.
* Daifan will take it with a little awe
<Daifan> how do you use that?
<Daifan> the...face copying
<Balinteze> uh, you just have to look at the person, and kind of concentrate on looking like them. It's hard to explain.
<Balinteze> As for the other, well... that's up to you, I guess. I wasn't sure if you were going to try to get really close, or even inside the buildings. Maybe your friend could keep watch outside, or something?
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Yes, that might work..
<Balinteze> Maybe I can't protect you as much as I might want, but I guess I figure if you're going to go, you might as well be a little protected :3
<Daifan> thank you....
<Daifan> I do really appreciate that.
<Balinteze> Please don't lose it in the swamp, that's all I ask :)
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> I won't!
* Balinteze gives you a slightly awkward hug.
* Daifan rolls ti up and sticks it in one of the secret pockets in their work clothes
* Daifan returns the hug with more warmth
* Balinteze will smile and relax a bit as you return it.
<Balinteze> Take care, and let me know what you find out.
<Daifan> I will.