Rachel & Soleil, 12/8/2002
- Rachel_ sleeps, ignorant (thankfully?) of whatever is about to befall her.
<Elanya> (That can just eb what Rachel was dreaming about, prior to the interruption ;) <Soleil> (n) Rachel is sleeping peacefully, dreaming about dancing with Nikolai at Beltaine, before things got weird. <Soleil> (n) or possibly, boobies. <Rachel_> (I have boring dreams...) <Rachel_> (Not boobies) <Rachel_> (Just *dancing* with Nikolai? ;^D) <Soleil> (well, that would be less boring, I'd think ;D) <Rachel_> (man things would be more interesting) <Soleil> (n) she looks up at her beloved, but instead sees... <Elanya> (PENISES) <Soleil> Hello, my pet. <Soleil> Sleeping well? <Elanya> (I like my answer better ;)
- Rachel_ breaks away from Soleil if she can.
- Soleil lets go of her.
<Soleil> (n) The courtyard is now empty of other revellers.
- Rachel_ eyes him.
- Soleil eyes her back. ;)
- Rachel_ isn't quite sure if she's just dreaming, or if he has dreamcraft or something.
<Rachel_> . o O (I guess it's one of the same...) <Rachel_> . o O (Except that *I'd* be in control if I were just dreaming. <Rachel_> ... <Soleil> Aberystwyth in spring... quite lovely <Rachel_> . o O (And it would still be Nik there, if I were in control...)
- Soleil looks around...
<Rachel_> Soleil... <Soleil> Yes, my dove? <Rachel_> What do you want?
- Rachel_ says, resigned.
<Soleil> What do I want? <Soleil> You said you wanted to see, later. <Soleil> It is later, now.
- Soleil quirks his head to one side.
<Rachel_> I said I *maybe* wanted to see... <Soleil> Maybe, maybe... indecision ill becomes you.
- Soleil waves his hand dismissively.
<Rachel_> Soleil -
- Soleil clicks his right thumbnail together with his silver hook, and looks expectantly at Rachel.
<Rachel_> What else can you do? I want to know *now*. <Soleil> Oh that isn't interesting.
- Soleil looks bored.
<Rachel_> Yes. It is. <Soleil> I have such sights to show you... <Soleil> And you just want to play 'I'll show you mine, if you show me yours'...
- Soleil looks disappointed.
- Rachel_ 's face twists into a disapproving expression.
- Soleil flops down onto a bench.
- Rachel_ turns a cold shoulder to him and walks away a short distance.
- Soleil taps his claw on the bench a few times.
<Rachel_> . o O (I am in way above my head.) <Soleil> (bah, nothing one couldn't do with a couple levels of Dreamcraft) <Rachel_> (I know, but she has no way of doing anything to him.) <Rachel_> (He's infuriating.) <Soleil> So pretty... <Rachel_> (Taking such liberties.) <Soleil> But a pale reflection... <Soleil> of the real thing...
- Soleil taps his claw again, and the ground beneath your feet begins to ice over...
<Soleil> (n) At least, that's what it looks like at first... <Soleil> (n) It isn't cold... <Soleil> (n) It's some kind of crystal.
- Rachel_ turns and looks back at him, glaring.
- Rachel_ crosses her arms.
<Rachel_> I see that you are going to force me to come with you whether I wish it or not. <Soleil> Come with me? <Soleil> We aren't going anywhere... <Rachel_> Well. Good. <Soleil> You're sleeping snug in your little bed, poppet; and all of this is but a dream. <Rachel_> It is not *my* dream though. <Rachel_> You are controlling it. Just being here. <Soleil> Well, it was.
- Soleil shrugs.
<Soleil> Are you finished looking at my horse's teeth yet? <Rachel_> No. I am not. <Soleil> Oh, bother. <Soleil> Well, do let me know.
- Soleil reclines on the bench, stretching out his legs.
<Rachel_> Soleil, I will repeat: what do you want from me? <Rachel_> "I am here for you. I am yours. I live to serve." <Soleil> I want to give you a present!
- Soleil says brightly.
<Rachel_> So you just force your way into my mind. My innermost thoughts. <Rachel_> Well thank you very much but I don't think I wish to receive a gift from one who is little better than a rapist. <Soleil> Have you ever enchanted anyone? <Rachel_> It's not the same thing. <Soleil> Careful how you sling your mud, my dear... <Soleil> Some is like to splash back on your face... <Rachel_> It is not the same thing.
- Soleil hops up and stands on the back of the bench, holding his arms out for balance.
<Soleil> Some would differ... <BalthCat> (Like me!) <Rachel_> When a person is enchanted, you don't break in to their mind. <Rachel_> It is external.
- Soleil looks rather cheerful and untroubled.
<Soleil> Don't you? <Soleil> You tear down barriers which they have carefully erected, through the centuries, to protect their very sanity... <Soleil> And when it is over, they are confused and disoriented... unable to even understand what has happened to them. <Soleil> My little present will have no such unpleasant side effects!
- Soleil skips.
<Rachel_> ... <Rachel_> Won't it? <Soleil> it is, as I said, just a dream... <Rachel_> How can I ever trust you, knowing you can slip into my thoughts whenever you wish? <Rachel_> How can I ever feel secure, knowing you are around? <Soleil> Oh, not whenever I wish... <Soleil> It requires a great deal of effort <Soleil> I would never harm you. <Soleil> Whether you believe that or not, it is true all the same. <Rachel_> You keep *saying* that. But what good is the word of a ghost. <Soleil> The proof is in the pudding, my dear Rachel <Soleil> If you'd care to partake. :) <Soleil> Oh let's do have just a little look-see, shall we?
- Soleil hops off the bench, and walls of crystal spring up around you.
- Rachel_ 's eyes glitter coldly and angrily.
<Soleil> Count Anathene's Crystal Hall... <Rachel_> I presumed as much.
- Rachel_ says tersely.
<Soleil> Pretty, isn't it? <Rachel_> Not nearly so pretty as my father's garden.
- Soleil laughs lightly.
<Soleil> An unnecessary boast... <Rachel_> Laugh if you will. <Soleil> Now, one of the rare creatures who inhabits these hallowed halls... <Rachel_> My father's garden is alive and vibrant. <Rachel_> This place is cold and dead, like you.
- BalthCat is now known as Jennie
<Soleil> It is now... sadly <Soleil> Really... Arcadia doesn't impress you as much as it ought. :P <Soleil> Your father would be green with envy. <Rachel_> This isn't really Arcadia. <Soleil> But no matter! <Soleil> A dream is better than nothing... <Soleil> There are fae who would kill for a dream as real as this. <Soleil> The fae have forgotten... <Soleil> But the dead remember. <Rachel_> Not all of them. <Soleil> Now where was I... <Soleil> Ah yes, our Lady Diamond.
- Sascha has joined #changeling
- ChanServ sets mode: +o Sascha
- Rachel_ waits impassively.
- Sascha is now known as Lady_Diamond
- Lady_Diamond appears between the two of you.
- Lady_Diamond does not appear to see either of you, or indeed anything at all.
- Lady_Diamond seems younger than she does now, and even more resplendent...
- Rachel_ does not appear impressed. She is determined not to have fun.
- Lady_Diamond appears to have been frozen in the midst of some dance; a veil of diamonds arcs through the air behind her as she spins balanced on one toe. Six beautiful iridescent wings spring from her back, her crowning glory.
<Soleil> Oh, don't pout. I know you want to learn what I have to tell you. <Soleil> It's in your blood. <Soleil> It *burns* within you. The desire, the thirst for knowledge... <Rachel_> I would prefer to learn it on *my* terms.
- Rachel_ says viciously.
<Soleil> This is the only way.
- Soleil says with an untroubled shrug.
<Soleil> Phantom Shadows and other tricks of Chicanery are sadly lost to me. <Rachel_> What about courtesy? <Soleil> What of it? :) <Soleil> Surely we can dispense with stuffy formalities. Isn't that what you wish from your family? <Soleil> Oh, I prithee, my lady Baroness, to grant me an audience... etc, etc...
- Soleil seems to be in quite an upbeat mood this evening.
<Rachel_> That is not what I mean and you know it. <Soleil> I'm not psychic, either. <Soleil> More's the pity...
- Soleil watches Diamond spin in place.
- Rachel_ shakes her head.
<Rachel_> I do not believe the dead could be so dense, being intangible. <Soleil> Were you never taught to respect your elders? Such manners. <Soleil> Will you really throw away your only chance to see her as she was?
- Soleil seems curious
<Soleil> For the sake of your pride?
- Rachel_ 's features darken.
<Rachel_> If it's my *only* chance, then I suppose I have no choice. As with everything else involving you. <Rachel_> Go on then. <Soleil> You do have a choice, my dear. <Soleil> You can stay, or you can leave.
- Soleil indicates the door leading out of the high hall.
<Soleil> Leave, and go back into the arms of dear old Nikolai. <Soleil> Or stay, and enjoy my pageant of ghosts! <Soleil> :) <Rachel_> What sort of choice is that? <Soleil> A simple one? <Rachel_> . o O (I hate you.) <Rachel_> You know my House. Thus: no choice at all, really. <Soleil> (hey, you could make a willpower roll ;D) <Rachel_> (No.) <Soleil> As I said, a simple one. <Soleil> Goody-goody!
- Soleil claps his hands together.
- Rachel_ shows no sign of any emotion save her annoyance and anger towards Soleil.
<Soleil> Let's start at the beginning, shall we... <Rachel_> It's the very best place to start.
- Soleil disappears, as does the image of the young Diamond.
- Rachel_ says dryly.
<Soleil> In the dead of the lingering winter...
- Soleil sounds far away.
<Soleil> (n) suddenly your surroundings shift, as capriciously as they might in the dreaming... <Soleil> (n) You are in a stone room, lit by torchlight. <Soleil> (n) A group of women are huddled around a figure reclining on a cot or table, murmuring softly. There are three boggans, dressed in simple grey gowns, and two eshu.
- Griselda is a grump eshu, with frizzy gray hair that seems to form a curly
triangle around her leathery face.
- Rachel_ tries to see the reclining figure's face. She assumes it is a female ancestor in childbirth.
<Griselda> Fomaline, take the child... <Griselda> (n) One of the boggans, a portly brunette wilder, lifts up a tiny red creature with six wings, screeching mightily and beating its tiny fists in the air. <Rachel_> . o O (Babies are so ugly.)
- Tamara is a sidhe woman, thin as a rail, with shimmery, iridescent hair.
- Tamara 's eyes are glazed with pain; her arms flail weakly at the air until she is restrained by the other two boggans. The gown she is wearing, white linen, is soaked red from the waist down.
no, no, no...
<Tamara> (n) <Boggan> It won't stop...
<Griselda> Do your best.
- Rachel_ feels sick in spite of herself.
<Griselda> (n) the Eshu and Boggans appear to be casting cantrip after cantrip, but still the blood comes.
<Griselda> (q) frost and snow...
- Griselda curses.
<Griselda> Hush, my lady... save your strength.
- Griselda says gently.
- Griselda sponges the woman's brow.
- Tamara looks up at her with wild crystal violet eyes.
- Tamara rasps.
<Griselda> <w> A girl, your excellency... a beautiful child.
- Michael_ opens the door.
<Michael_> (n) the boggan who was cleaning up the baby looks up and gasps. <Michael_> <Boggan> You can't come in..! <Griselda> Look to my lady,
- Griselda says to the other eshu, who seems to be her apprentice.
- Griselda strides over to the sidhe lord, heedless of the fact that she's steeped to the elbows in blood.
- Michael_ looks much younger, a wilder. He looks very like the portrait in Diamond's hall; tall and dark and strong. He clutches in his hand the scythe you recognize as your father's.
- Michael_ looks the old woman up and down.
<Michael_> The Countess?
- Michael_ asks tersely.
<Rachel_> (he was way older than Diamond, ew...)
My lord, she will not live.
- Michael_ frowns.
<Griselda> We have cast all the magicks we can... <Griselda> But we cannot put the blood back into her.
- Griselda whispers.
<Griselda> It is fate. <Michael_> The child, then?
- Michael_ asks in a business-like manner
my baby, my baby...
- Griselda looks back over her shoulder at the countess.
- Tamara starts flailing around weakly.
where is she...
Where is she, my precious, my precious jewel, my diamond...
<Tamara> (n) The boggans try to calm her down, while Michael looks disapproving.
<Griselda> The child will live.
- Rachel_ might smirk if she were in a better mood.
<Griselda> She is strong. <Michael_> A girl... <Michael_> His excellency will be disappointed. <Griselda> ... <Michael_> Have the child cleaned up, and then bring it to me. <Rachel_> (Soleil is forcing family history on Rachel)
- Michael_ exits, closing the door behind him.
<Michael_> (n) The scene fades away.
- Diamond_ sits in her bedroom, draped in a shimmery cloak/robe thing.
- Diamond_ stares into her mirror, looking petulant.
- Rachel_ does smirk this time...
- Diamond_ flutters her wings.
<Rachel_> (how old is Diamond here?)
- Diamond_ sighs expansively and puts her chin on her hand.
<Diamond_> (She looks about sixteen.)
- Griselda bustles into the room.
- Diamond_ looks over her shoulder.
<Diamond_> Oh, don't you ever knock?
- Diamond_ doesn't sound terribly troubled.
<Griselda> You haven't got anything I've not seen, my lady. <Diamond_> Ugh.
- Diamond_ rolls her eyes.
- Griselda looks Diamond up and down.
<Griselda> You'd best hurry up, you've not even brushed your hair! <Diamond_> Pfah, I care not. <Diamond_> I'll not brush my hair, I'll not put on that silly frock, I'll not wear any of that ridiculous paint, and I'll not go out at all! <Rachel_> . o O (And she thinks I'm a brat...) <Griselda> *I'll* brush it, then.
- Griselda starts unbraiding Diamond's long shimmery hair.
<Griselda> It won't be so bad, dear. <Griselda> Not so bad as... well, we'll not say that.
- Diamond_ lets the eshu brush her hair.
<Diamond_> I don't want to do it.
- Rachel_ 's anger is wearing off, now that she's seeing Diamond actually... "human".
<Diamond_> I feel like... <Diamond_> Like a prize sow on display at the fair! <Diamond_> Trotting me out for his boorish friends, again <Griselda> Don't you like to dance, my lady?
- Diamond_ purses her lips.
<Diamond_> Not for them. I loathe it! <Diamond_> And he knows I do, that's why he does it. <Griselda> You mustn't say such things, dear. <Diamond_> Oh, he loves me not!
- Diamond_ says angrily.
<Diamond_> I curse my mother for dying and leaving me with such an oaf for a father. <Griselda> Wisht.
- Griselda says sharply.
<Griselda> You know what will happen if he hears you speaking thus!
- Diamond_ shrinks a bit.
<Diamond_> ... <Diamond_> Will Lord Adshe be there this evening? <Griselda> I expect so, dear. <Diamond_> HE always is, to inspect his prize cow :P <Griselda> Now now, the two of you have been betrothed since you were both babes in arms, and he has no more say in it than you.
- Griselda reproaches.
<Diamond_> Well, I hope he chokes. <Griselda> Lady Diamond, that is quite enough of that!
- Diamond_ sighs unhappily.
<Diamond_> I am sorry... <Diamond_> I ... I loathe the thought of all of them watching me. <Rachel_> . o O (Why does she remind me of Isabel?) <Diamond_> I am but a toy to them. <Diamond_> A pretty little toy. <Diamond_> I can feel their eyes already... It makes my skin crawl. <Diamond_> Even when I'm not on display he has me watched, you know.
- Griselda lets her prattle on.
<Diamond_> His wizard has spies everywhere, I'm certain... <Diamond_> Such cold black eyes... Blue is by far a gentler hue. <Griselda> Lord Ashe's eyes are blue. <Diamond_> Bah... His are like... cheap painted glass compared to my dear one!
- Griselda shakes her head.
<Griselda> I like not the path you tread... <Griselda> It leads to ... dark places.
- Diamond_ hmfs.
<Diamond_> I wish I had a brother. Then I wouldn't be bothered with this nonsense, and Father would let me alone.
- Rachel_ starts looking at other things in Diamond's room. She knows all this already.
<Diamond_> (It's clean...) <Rachel_> (Any stuffies? ^-^) <Diamond_> Oh, when I am Countess, I shall have all of those eyes... to command, or to feed to the ravens. <Griselda> You don't mean that... <Diamond_> no...
- Diamond_ looks sad.
<Diamond_> But I wish I did. <Diamond_> (no :/) <Rachel_> (Anything out in the open?) <Diamond_> (like what?) <Diamond_> (There are a lot of books with titles you don't recognize, stacks of sheet music... she has some paintings) <Diamond_> (There are prisms dangling in the windows :D) <Rachel_> (A book next to the bed, a necklace on a stand near the mirror, anything that might be a prized possession?) <Diamond_> (Her dressing table is cluttered with *stuff*, including a silver jewel box) <Rachel_> (Anything I recognize that she has now, in the real world?) <Diamond_> (I don't believe you've been in her bedroom ;) <Rachel_> (Are you sure? Not even as a little girl adoring her beautiful grandma?) <Diamond_> (yes) <Rachel_> (She's such a bitch... ^-^) <Diamond_> (n) things fade away again...
<Soleil> Enjoying the show?
- Rachel_ is jolted back into annoyance by the ghost's presence.
<Rachel_> Some of it.
- Rachel_ admits.
<Soleil> Oh, I'm glad.
- Soleil says, sounding sincere.
<Soleil> But, unless you wish to sleep the day away, this is where it ends. <Rachel_> ... <Soleil> I can show you more at another time... <Soleil> If you so desire. <Soleil> Think on thy answer. <Rachel_> . o O (He could just be making everything up...) <Rachel_> If we do it again, I would like to know in advance.
- Rachel_ says finally.
<Soleil> Oh, that will never work. <Soleil> With all the excitement, you'd not be able to sleep! <Rachel_> Soleil, I get excited when I know Nikolai will be visiting. I am sorry to tell you that you don't have quite the same effect. <Soleil> Will you go? Yes or no? <Rachel_> ...
- Rachel_ searches Soleil's gaze, hoping to find something there. What, she's not sure.
<Rachel_> Why are you so anxious to do this?
- Soleil looks eager.
<Soleil> Call me nostalgic. <Rachel_> Nostalgic? <Rachel_> Weren't you dead long before my grandmother's time? <Soleil> Well, I'm sure you wouldn't be interested in *that* <Rachel_> You aren't psychic. How would you know what interests me, and what doesn't? <Soleil> Their names and deeds would mean nothing to you.
- Soleil shrugs.
<Rachel_> Frankly, tonight's little display has showed me nothing I didn't really know already. <Rachel_> Except maybe that the countess was, once, "human." <Rachel_> Things I don't already know interest me more. <Soleil> So, is that a yes, or a no? <Rachel_> Must I answer you now? <Rachel_> You did tell me to think on it. <Soleil> Hmmm, I think so. <Rachel_> Why.
- Rachel_ is losing her patience once more...
<Soleil> Oh, because it bores me to argue it over and over, mostly. <Rachel_> How would my thinking about it and then giving you an answer at a later date construe arguing it over and over? <Soleil> Of course... you could always *command* me to show you something later <Soleil> Your ladyship. <Soleil> Oh it will never be so quick.
- Soleil says with a frown.
<Soleil> Mulling it this way and that, asking me question after question... <Soleil> on and on <Soleil> My, whatever would you do if you really had to make a snap decision? <Soleil> ... Is that a bird I hear?
- Rachel_ 's eyes darken to a deep red angrily.
<Soleil> * distant chirping* <Rachel_> I make snap decisions often. <Soleil> Until next time, poppet... <Soleil> <bird> *chirp* <Rachel_> But not when they involve a creature whose intentions I still cannot be sure of, who speaks only in riddles, and whose sole joy in afterlife is making my life a misery.
- Soleil is now known as A_Bird
- A_Bird is chirping outside Rachel's window
<Rachel_> . o O (Kill it.) <A_Bird> chirpy-chirp chirp
- Rachel_ sits up and opens her eyes.
- A_Bird trills a happy little bird tune
- A_Bird hops lightly from branch to branch, singing
- Rachel_ doesn't feel rested at all.