Diablotin 2 session 78

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 2 session logs
Previous Session 78 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: October 30, 2011
Diablotin date:

Prologue

[DiablotinNarrator] It is drawing near the end of Twelfth-month and the year. There has been snow in the air a few times, but not enough to stay on the ground quite yet.

[DiablotinNarrator] The fire that consumed much of the Antiquarian Society's hall and its contents is under investigation. Killed in the fire were Professor Benalda Grenrake and a servant girl named Lora, surname unknown. All other injuries were fortunately minor.

[DiablotinNarrator] The greatest loss to the society, however, were the books and artifacts that were destroyed in the blaze. Those that were salvaged are being stored temporarily at the Castalia, and the items that were only partly damaged are gradually being reconstructed using magic. Hopes are high that the building itself will be restored to its former state within a few months.

[DiablotinNarrator] The decision-making process for selecting the new Patriarch is finally complete, although it took longer than usual this time, due to divisions in the church. Reverend Father Theron of the Order of the Owl has assumed the white robes as Patriarch Theron. The race to fill the position he has vacated is now officially underway


Dominik and Seth, War

[DiablotinNarrator] Dominik and Seth, you are both summoned to an important meeting with the Warlord.

  • Dominik will, of course, arrive promptly on time.
  • Seth comes along, fearful of what will be asked of him though!

[DiablotinNarrator] There are about 16 people present when you arrive, only a few of whom Dom recognizes, and I believe Seth recognizes none of them (apart from Dom...)

[DiablotinNarrator] Dom, you remember Nais, who assisted you on the bridge, 'Opal', whose real name you don't know, Byram Verret, a fellow Lord of the Privy Chamber, C sar de B ziers, and Laurine's husband Sylvain Marcoux.

[DiablotinNarrator] And, rather unexpectedly, Seth, of course.

  • Dominik raises a curious eyebrow to Seth's presence

[Fredericia] Thank you all for coming. I hope I don't need to tell you that this meeting is of the utmost secrecy, and anything discussed here does not leave these walls.

  • Fredericia says once everyone has settled down.

[Fredericia] We are formulating a strategy which, if successful, should secure a quick and relatively bloodless end to the conflict with Psyra.

[Fredericia] If you do not wish to participate in what may be a very dangerous mission, you can leave now, and we'll find a replacement.

  • Seth suspects that this is not true of him. :/

[DiablotinNarrator] No one else leaves.

[Fredericia] Good.

[Fredericia] The current plan is as follows: You will pass through the teleportation circle to Nys, the capital of Psyra. The circle is located within the ducal palace, so it will certainly be well-defended. You take out the defenders and some of you remain to hold the circle and prevent a retaliatory attack.

[Fredericia] The remainder of you then proceed to locate the duke. We have maps of the palace which should be accurate. Immediately prior to your departure, we will have a Discern Location cast on him, in order to ascertain exactly where he is. He'll have some time to move, but hopefully not much.

[Fredericia] You will be equiped with appropriate magic weapons and armor if you don't already possess them, and hopefully you will be more than a match for any resistance you meet in the process.

[Fredericia] You secure the duke and remove him via the teleportation circle, bringing him here to stand trial for treason, along with his son.

[Fredericia] Our armies are building their ranks and training new recruits, but it is our hope that once the duke is out of power, they will not be necessary except as a deterrent.

[Fredericia] The current composition of this strike force is as follows: six fighters, two rogues, three sorcerers, one bard, three clerics.

[Fredericia] However, you will also have some additional assistance in this task, provided by one of the Great Constructs under the direction of M. Argo here.

  • Fredericia indicates Seth.

[Fredericia] Perhaps you could give us a quick briefing on the construct's abilities, M. Argo?

[Seth] Ahh ... well, yes, certainly. Essentially impervious to all but the most potent attacks, Karik's offensive strength is also great, but I would imagine that its most significant use would be defensive and strategic, along with the sheer terror its use might inspire.

  • Fredericia nods.

[Seth] I would say, however, that the greatest challenge given this particular strategy would be the golem's size, which might prevent its ingress into chambers.

[Fredericia] I imagine it would be most useful holding the circle, along with some other defenders of course.

  • Seth nods.
  • Fredericia suggests.

[Seth] Yes, I agree.

[Fredericia] Glad to hear that.

[Fredericia] If you fall, can another person pick up the creature's amulet to control it?

[Seth] Yes ... that is possible. I will not fall, however.

[Fredericia] Very well.

[Fredericia] You seem quite sure of that.

[Seth] I have a capability ... to enter into stone objects. This would include the golem, if necessary. From within, I would be as untouchable as the golem itself.

[Fredericia] I... see.

[Seth] I imagine this is why the Emperor has requested my presence particularly, in addition to my scholarly knowledge of constructs.

[Fredericia] That would make sense, yes.

[Seth] I am certain that the previous Warlord must have left some information on my particular capacities in her notes for you, Warlord.

[Fredericia] Quite likely. I'll attempt to track them down.

[Dominik] Who will be in the van with the golem?

[Fredericia] You will have approximately two weeks to train together, learn each others' strengths and weaknesses, and formulate your combat strategies.

  • Dominik nods

[Fredericia] Once I've observed you at work, I'll have a better idea how I want to deploy you.

[Fredericia] Any other questions?

[Fredericia] All right. Quarters will be made available to you in the palace for the next two weeks, for those of you who don't already have accomodations here.

[Fredericia] I expect you up at dawn, mornings and afternoons to be spent in training, evenings are your own, don't do anything stupid like go get drunk and blab our plans.

[Fredericia] See the Chamberlain for room assignments.

[Fredericia] Oh, and... how will we get the golem in for training?

  • Fredericia asks Seth.

[Seth] In where?

[Fredericia] The north training yard. Can it just walk over there?

[Seth] (can it?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (should be able to, as far as you know - maybe have to avoid some doorways, but hey, they probably can get horses in there, so.)

[Seth] I don't anticipate any difficulty, no.

[Fredericia] All right.

[Fredericia] Oh, and you all should also consult with the Treasurer about weapons and armor. We have to strike a balance - we don't want anything irreplaceable falling into enemy hands, but you need to be well-equipped.

[Fredericia] I'll inform him to expect you.

[Fredericia] You're dismissed until tomorrow morning, then.

[DiablotinNarrator] (if there's anybody there either of you wanted to talk to, you can, or if you want to talk to each other, you can do that in gnomeland)

[Dominik] (ill chat with seth for a bit)

[DiablotinNarrator] (ok)

[Dominik] So a personal invite to the war from Marl. That must have been an interesting discussion.

[Seth] Ahh ... yes, you might say that. One might even say I have been involuntarily conscripted.

[Dominik] If this works, then it may end this before it really starts. Why wouldn't you be willing to go along?

[Dominik] Besides, you'll never get another chance like this to control a golem.

[Seth] ... well, yes and no.

[Seth] I have some exciting news. I have managed to reconstruct and reactivate the golem Schesutte.

[Dominik] That is good news. Also explains why Fredie may be more willing to risk the other one.

[Seth] I am currently engaged in significant research into her abilities and capacities. This is a ... significant intrusion.

[Seth] I also believe, based on what we learned from Thea, that Kavreshar may be using this war with Psyra as a distraction.

[Seth] And what better way than to take major defenses out of the city, then attack when the moment is right.

[Dominik] That's a possibility, but leaving the distraction to fester to more on its own isn't the best plan either.

[Seth] Of course not. But I am not seeing the true value of bringing Karik on this sort of mission.

[Dominik] If I knew a way to lure Kavreshar out on our terms, I would jump on it. That threat needs to be dealt with, but I don't know how.

[Dominik] Hoping in by the circle isn't going to be the easiest or safest tactic. The area is either heavily guarded or sealed up to prevent such an action.

[Dominik] Karik gives options to punch through those defenses that we just wouldn't have.

[Dominik] I think its a brilliant idea and use of the construct.

[Dominik] and it's likely the only way the first few through the circle will live.

[Seth] No doubt. Given the strategy that has been decided upon, it makes sense. But there are many other strategies that one could have used - say, discreetly teleporting in, not using the circle, with a properly-trained squad of trusted officers. I have no reason to think that this is the case.

[Seth] After all, the Emperor trusted me, when I have given him no special reason to do so. Do we trust all those other individuals? Do we know that none of them are infiltrators?

[Dominik] I'm sure nobody was in that room that hadn't been properly vetted. Too much is riding on this.

[Dominik] As for Marl, arn't you and his brother close? or were at least?

[Seth] The Warlord is very new to her position. I can't see how she can have such a level of confidence. Given what we know about Kavreshar, this is very risky.

[Dominik] At least its doing something instead of waiting for Kevreshar to act.

[Seth] But, as I say, I don't believe that we are moving *against* Kavreshar - I believe that we may be doing exactly what Kavreshar wants us to do.

[Seth] But I have already expressed these concerns, as best as I could, to the Emperor.

[Dominik] Things could change in the next two weeks.

[Seth] Yes, of course.


Sanadhil and Bessa

[DiablotinNarrator] San, you are looking for the starflake. I assume you got my email?

[Sanadhil] yes

  • Sanadhil will try and find Laeken @_@

[DiablotinNarrator] That is a more difficult task than usual, but you eventually manage to locate him - at the Castalia library, sitting on a desk with a pile of books.

[Sanadhil] (is it evening?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (yes, late)

[Sanadhil] (so, empty library?)

[Sanadhil] (or are there still students about?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (more or less... the Castalia is generally more busy than the Society was, but at this time of night and this time of year, right before holidays, it's pretty dead. No one in the immediate vicinity.)

[Sanadhil] (cool)

  • Sanadhil speaks quietly

[Sanadhil] Good evening - I'm sorry to disturb you.

  • Laeken turns when he notices it's you.

[Laeken] Oh, not to worry.

  • Sanadhil sits and casually flips through one of the unopen boos so that ti doesn;t just look like he's stanbding there talking to a

skull @_@

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Did you hear about the fire at the Society?

[Laeken] Yes.

[Laeken] Fortunately I had already read most of the useful books there.

[Sanadhil] Yes, a shame for the rest of us, however, if we had not.

[Laeken] I suppose so.

[Sanadhil] But aside from that, something was discovered missing after the fire that was of greater interest. I was hoping to convince you to help me track it down.

[Laeken] Oh? What is that.

[Sanadhil] An artifact we recovered from the Shadowplane. For lack of any better name, we'd been referring to it as The Starflake

[Laeken] Having never seen this item, I will likely be unable to locate it. Unless it is it the possession of someone I am familiar with?

[Sanadhil] it may be...

[Sanadhil] Have you met Bessa DuChamp?

[Sanadhil] She is a society member

  • Sanadhil will describe her

[Laeken] Then I have seen her. I have seen most if not all of the members of your society.

[Laeken] Yes, she is familiar to me.

[Sanadhil] she may have it, but I am not certain

[Laeken] You wish me to ascertain her location?

[Sanadhil] Yes. Please.

[Laeken] Very well...

  • Laeken will cast the spell.

[Laeken] The Well of Stars, Sarasagel, The Shadow Plane.

[Sanadhil] .... thank you.

  • Sanadhil stands suddenly.

[Laeken] I take it that answers your question.

[Sanadhil] Yes

[Laeken] Good evening, then.

[Sanadhil] thank you.

  • Laeken goes back to his book.
  • Sanadhil looks a little pale though Laken probably doens't care
  • Sanadhil will cast mage Armour, and shadow walk

[DiablotinNarrator] All right, where are you going?

[Sanadhil] (I'm trying to remember what all precautions may have been left at the well... but I'll teleport there)

[DiablotinNarrator] You arrive at the Well. The swirling lights seem brighter than before, more vigorous.

  • Bessa stands at the edge of the well. The starflake - starsoul?- is in her hands.

[Sanadhil] Bessa!

  • Bessa turns to see you, seemingly unsurprised.

[Bessa] This is the right thing to do, Sanadhil.

[Sanadhil] You have no idea what you're doing.

[Bessa] The song tells me that it's right, though.

[Bessa] It's necessary for the restoration of the Serpent. Part of its essence is trapped here. Freeing it will give it the strength it needs to be truly reborn.

  • Sanadhil will try to cast dominate

[DiablotinNarrator] (what's the dc on that?)

[Sanadhil] (22, 23 if she'ca caught by surprise ;p)

[DiablotinNarrator] (ok, just looking up something)

[DiablotinNarrator] You also need to roll a Will save for being within 5 feet of the Well and hearing the song.

[DiablotinNarrator] (DC 21, mind-affecting)

[Sanadhil] (I can't actually fail... but I rolled a 32)

[DiablotinNarrator] All right - you hear the song and understand its message - the understanding that the Shadow Plane can live again, and that the memory of starlight is the key - but are not compelled by it.

[Sanadhil] (But I'm not hearing anythign about the serpent?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (not in the song, no)

[Sanadhil] (okay)

[Sanadhil] Come away

  • Bessa takes a step away from the well, and the ground begins to shake beneath you.

[Sanadhil] ...

[DiablotinNarrator] Make a reflex save, DC 15.

[Sanadhil] (15 D:)

[Sanadhil] Stop

[DiablotinNarrator] Ok, you manage to stay standing despite the earthquake... Also roll percentile, you want to get above 25%.

[Sanadhil] (47)

[DiablotinNarrator] Fissures are opening up in the ground around you, but you don't fall down any of them, luckily for you.

[Sanadhil] (how is Bessa?)

[DiablotinNarrator] You also have to make a Concentration check on your spell, I think. DC 20 + level of your spell.

[Sanadhil] (which spell?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (your Dominate)

[DiablotinNarrator] (maybe not, actually, since you're done casting it...)

[Sanadhil] (yeah... just made it, though :3)

[DiablotinNarrator] (yeah, nm on that. I think that only applies if you're casting while the earthquake happens)

  • Bessa looks at the star in her hands.
  • Bessa holds it up over her head...

[Sanadhil] No!

[Bessa] I... have to.

  • Sanadhil braces himself for further craziness @_@
  • Bessa looks like she's struggling, but she snaps the star in two nevertheless. It shatters with a light so bright it blinds you.

[Sanadhil] YOu'll die.

[Sanadhil] ...

  • Sanadhil says as she snaps it, the world going black... agian...

[DiablotinNarrator] The light surrounds you. It hurts, but it's comforting too... warm, protective... The pain fades somehow, and you are in a space of white nothingness. You feel the sense that here, wherever 'here' is, you could make anything happen.

[DiablotinNarrator] You've taken 52 points of damage, and you have a single wish.

[Sanadhil] (ahhhh I don't knooooow @_@)

[DiablotinNarrator] The light begins to fade, and you are left in the darkness once more, lying on the ground near the well... There is no light now coming from it - the cracks seem to have sealed themselves. Bessa is also lying on the ground. As you look up, you realize that the sky isn't completely black. There are stars.

[Sanadhil] Bessa!

  • Sanadhil crawls over to her
  • Bessa is lifeless.
  • Sanadhil will....wish that her sacrifice is not in vain, that the locked away essence has been released
  • Sanadhil wishes that he'd been a little better mentally prepared, also @_@

[DiablotinNarrator] You feel slightly more... mentally prepared.

[DiablotinNarrator] (+2 Wis.)

[Sanadhil] damnit.

[Sanadhil] Then I could have save you, fool. :(

[Sanadhil] I'm sorry, Bessa.

[Sanadhil] I wish I could have been sure -_-

  • Sanadhil looks up to the sky, at all the unfamiliar stars @_@


Ysabeau and Alma, Kavreshar

[DiablotinNarrator] Ysabeau, you are heading over to Alma's house to pay a visit to the babies... How are you travelling?

[Ysabeau] (By carriage, I suppose...)

  • Ysabeau only travels during daytime...

[Ysabeau] (harder to be ambushed when one can see... ;_;)

[DiablotinNarrator] All right. As you rattle over the stones of the road, you hear a voice in your mind, not one you recognize. "It's such a nice sunny day. Why not take the babies outside for a walk in the Firefly Gardens?"

[DiablotinNarrator] Will save DC 27.

[Ysabeau] (29, ha!)

[DiablotinNarrator] All right. You feel no compulsion, but you can reply to the sender in 25 words or less.

[Ysabeau] (spellcraft on what the compulsion effect was.)

[Ysabeau] (25)

[DiablotinNarrator] (no idea)

  • Ysabeau will think it's a lovely idea in case he has a mind link but not reply, so he can think he's ever so subtle, and continue on to Alma's house, heart in her throat.

[DiablotinNarrator] All right, you arrive at Alma's house.

[Ysabeau] (Is the driver one of Maze's peeps?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (yes, you have seen him before)

  • Ysabeau will send him home to Maze's with a written message to the effect that she thinks Kavreshar is trying to get at the babies, he failed to compel her, but help might be needed at Alma's.

[DiablotinNarrator] Ok.

[Ysabeau] (more detailed, probably, I just don't want to take forever writing it)

  • Ysabeau knocks on Alma's door.
  • Alma will answer with promptness based on whether you sent word ahead of your visit.

[Alma] Good afternoon, Ysabeau :)

[Ysabeau] Alma, hello! It's such a lovely day, I was thinking of taking the babies for a stroll in the park!

  • Ysabeau will step inside, where she hopes they are safe from scrying.

[Alma] I ... well I imagine we can step out back for some sun...

  • Alma looks at Ysabeau oddly and will close the door.

[Alma] Is everything alright, dear?

[Ysabeau] Do you have a nice jade sculpture, by any chance?

[Alma] I... don't think so...

[Alma] Why do you ask?

[Ysabeau] False Vision...

[Alma] I don't recall any priestly spells which utilize Jade, so it's not a component I have...

  • Ysabeau looks a bit pale and possibly a bit shaky.

[Alma] What's wrong?

  • Ysabeau leans in close enough that someone watching couldn't read her lips due to Alma's hair being in the way, and whispers.

[Ysabeau] [w] Someone tried to compel me to take the babies to the Firefly Gardens. I didn't succumb, but I think we all might be in very great danger.

  • Alma nods :|

[Ysabeau] [w] I sent the driver back to Maze's with a message asking for help, but I don't know if any will come. What should we do?

[Alma] (Is anti-scrying on the list of MAze/Chief Sorceror provided protectives?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (yes, also anti-teleportation)

[Alma] We're safe from scrying and teleportation here...

  • Ysabeau looks relieved.

[Alma] I ... I'm not sure what to do... I hoped we had more time.

[Ysabeau] I wasn't sure if you'd have been able to get that done already.

  • Alma nods

[Alma] I ... well I doubt the Chief Sorceror or anyone else are ready to try to trap him... now would have been the perfect time...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I can't cast Sending to ask.

[Ysabeau] Whoever was trying to get me to do that did use Sending, but I didn't reply...

[Alma] (I'll probably have Hallowed it as well Julie?)

[Ysabeau] I didn't know what I could possibly say.

[DiablotinNarrator] (yeah, I assumed you would)

[Ysabeau] Can you get a message to the Chief Sorceror?

[Alma] That's fine dear...

[Alma] Yes, I can... let's go up to see them.

  • Ysabeau follows you upstairs.
  • Alma will take Ysabeau up to see the babies to help her calm down. She'll also cast Wind Walk on all three of us so that we can flee quickly if needed.
  • Ysabeau will play with the babies and try to remain calm.
  • Alma will cast Sending to inform the Chief Sorceror: Unknown being attempted to compel Ysabeau Chanuier to take the babies to

Firefly Gardens on way here. Unsure of how to proceed.

[Ysabeau] I don't know how long we'll have before they think it's high time I appeared with these two in a pram?

[DiablotinNarrator] Loick will reply: Remain where you are, I'll come to you, we can formulate a plan there.

[Alma] The Chief Sorceror is coming here.

[Alma] I'll wait by the door.

  • Alma leaves the babies with Ysabeau

[Alma] (Oh wait)

  • Ysabeau glances out the window frequently as she plays with the little ones.

[Alma] (nm I can't scry her)

  • Alma will cast Status on Ys/MArla/babies
  • Loick walks up the drive to your house after a short while. He presumably teleported to somewhere nearby and walked the rest of the way.
  • Alma will Detect Evil, See Invis

[DiablotinNarrator] You don't detect evil or anything invisible as he knocks at your door.

  • Alma casts Detect Magic
  • Loick probably has some magic on him... he usually does ;)

[Alma] (Well at least he's not immune to divinations @_@)

  • Alma will open the door.

[DiablotinNarrator] (nope)

[Alma] Come in Your Grace...

[Alma] Good to see you.

[Loick] I came as quickly as I could. I hope everything's all right?

  • Loick steps inside.

[Alma] It seems to be, yes.

[Alma] May I take your coat?

[Loick] Oh, certainly.

  • Alma will take it and check for race/alignment.

[Alma] (That's way below my auto-succeed)

[DiablotinNarrator] (human, CG)

  • Alma smiles in relief :)

[Loick] What precisely happened? Is Mme. Olivier still here?

[Alma] (Oh yes, Olivier :P)

[Alma] Yes, she's up with the children. If you'll follow me.

  • Loick does so.
  • Alma leads him to the nursery where Ysabeau and the babies are, and perhaps a nervous Marla.
  • Ysabeau gently jiggles Justen in her arms and is singing reassuringly for everyone's benefit.
  • Ysabeau glances up at Loick anxiously.

[Loick] Good day...

[Ysabeau] Good day, my lord.

[Alma] If you'll tell His Grace what happened?

  • Ysabeau would curtsey if she weren't holding an infant.
  • Loick sits down to listen.
  • Ysabeau explains what happened.

[Ysabeau] (was the voice gendered?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (male)

[Ysabeau] It was a male voice which I didn't recognize.

[Ysabeau] I continued on here so it would think perhaps it had succeeded.

[Ysabeau] But now what?

[Loick] Hm... it sounds like a Demand spell. Basically a sending plus a suggestion. You were fortunate to escape its effects.

[Loick] The caster wouldn't have had to be near you - could even be on another plane, although that seems less likely.

[Ysabeau] I sent my driver home with a message and asking for more help. I don't know if any will come.

[Loick] The suggestion that you come to a particular place suggests that whoever it is will be waiting there, or has accomplices waiting there.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] Indeed.

[Ysabeau] If I stay here indefinitely then it will catch on that the compulsion failed.

[Loick] Yes - it may simply try again, though.

[Alma] I'm assuming that no plan is near enough to completion that it could be put into effect?

[Loick] Not yet...

[Ysabeau] If it is Kavreshar, I'm not certain that we could apprehend it, if we went... He must be pretty powerful.

[Loick] Indeed.

[Loick] I would suggest that you and I, Sister, go to the park, possibly in disguise, and scout the area.

[Ysabeau] It would be nice if we could make some changelings that would fool him. ;)

[Ysabeau] But I doubt he could be so easily fooled.

[Alma] It is possible that Kavreshar himself uses a sort of True Seeing effect. He saw us immediately when we encountered him below the Bonemire.

[Alma] Perhaps if we were in the Ethereal plane?

[Ysabeau] I know, that's why I figure it wouldn't work.

[Loick] Hm, that's worrying. Maybe a mundane disguise would fool him, however?

[Alma] Yes, perhaps.

[Loick] Can you employ True Seeing from the Ethereal Plane?

[Alma] Hmm.

[Alma] (I'm not sure OOC. You can focus to see from the Material into the Ethereal using TS. I'm assuming that you'd get TS's benefits but with the same blurriness of the Etherealplane-seeing-the-material)

[Alma] (Kplanes 39)

[DiablotinNarrator] Yeah, I think that's reasonable.

  • Alma will say as much

[Loick] All right...

[Alma] It could make it harder for us to see important details though...

[Alma] I am willing to try a mundane disguise ...

[Ysabeau] Am I to just stay here, then...?

  • Alma does sound a little dubious about her abilit.

[Alma] Someone ought to stay with Marla and the infants...

[Alma] :/

[Ysabeau] I know... :/

[Ysabeau] When will you be back?

[Loick] Can you provide any assistance with disguises?

[Ysabeau] When should I worry if you don't come back?

[Loick] I would think covering our hair would be most necessary.

[Ysabeau] I didn't bring my magic hat. Wouldn't he see through it anyway?

[Ysabeau] I have no spells that could help, I'm sorry.

[Loick] Mundane disguises, I meant.

[Alma] Oh... Ysabeau, you could use the Crystal ball

  • Ysabeau smiles apologetically.

[Ysabeau] I don't have those sorts of skills, my lord... You'd need my husband for that.

[Alma] Once we're at the bounds of the protectives, I will try to consent to your attempt...

  • Alma will try to find things about the house.
  • Loick will basically attempt to stuff his hair up under his hat, so it's not so visible.
  • Ysabeau will help tuck his hair up after putting a baby down. :/
  • Ysabeau feels pretty wretched that she can't help any more than that.
  • Alma uses what she tried to use when spying on Leonien
  • Ysabeau will do what she can for Alma, too.

[Ysabeau] ...

[Ysabeau] What if someone comes here while you're gone?

[Ysabeau] You let Vescan go.

[Alma] Hmm?

[DiablotinNarrator] There is a knock at the door.

  • Ysabeau tries not to sound accusing.
  • Alma will go to one of hte windows on this floor and peek out.

[DiablotinNarrator] It is several people, one of whom looks to be Martan.

[Alma] It looks like your husband now...

[Ysabeau] Hopefully it is, and not someone pretending to be him. Can you tell?

[Alma] I will do my best.

  • Alma will go to the door, scanning through her detection list (invis, evil, deathwatch)

[Alma] (The Deathwatch will also tell me if people are immune, if I see someone who doesn't register)

[DiablotinNarrator] they all seem clear.

  • Alma will open the door.

[Alma] M. Olivier, how good to see you. Ysabeau will be so relieved.

[Martan] I came as soon as I got her message - is she all right?

[Alma] Yes, everyone is well.

[Alma] We could still use your help, though... come in.

  • Martan does, along with his assorted minions.
  • Alma will bring Martan and whoever he seems inclined to invite up to get filled in.
  • Ysabeau actually looks a little more anxious when she sees Martan.
  • Martan hurries to his wife's side.

[Ysabeau] You shouldn't be here...

[Ysabeau] All four of you in one place?

[Ysabeau] That might be just what he wants.

  • Ysabeau squeezes Martan's hand but really looks quite worried.

[Martan] I wasn't going to stay away from you when you needed me.

[Ysabeau] I know, I understand. But that doesn't change the fact...

  • Loick and Alma have done what they can to disguise themselves using scarves and bits of clothing and so on.

[Loick] Any assistance with this?

  • Loick asks, looking a bit frazzled.

[Martan] ...Oh, dear. Yes.

[Alma] Yes, this is not at all a strength of mine ... -_-

[Ysabeau] Can you go with them to the park? It will split us into two groups. More targets.

[Martan] If you want me to, I will.

  • Martan provides assistance to improve your disguises.

[Alma] Much better.

[Ysabeau] I don't know if I exactly do, but I do think it's better than having us all in one spot.

[Martan] Look. He wants the babies alive, right?

[Alma] A very good assumption.

[Martan] He can't target this place, or anywhere they might be, with large-scale damage. No fires, that sort of thing.

[Alma] Something I have been counting on -_-

[Martan] And I suspect he can't easily get in here? Correct, Sister?

[Alma] Yes, there are numerous protectives, including Hallow, Dimensional Anchor.

  • Martan nods.

[Martan] So he has to try and get the children out in order to seize them.

[Alma] Without risking us vanishing with them, as we vanished with Thea.

[Martan] Exactly.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] We had considered the Ethereal Plane as an approach...

[Loick] You should be all right here. I'll come back as soon as I can.

[Ysabeau] Can he cast Demand through the protectives?

[Loick] I don't know.

  • Ysabeau knows Martan probably wouldn't be able to resist it well.
  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Go with them, please, love.

[Alma] Hallow will make it more difficult.

[Loick] But if any one of us begins to act strangely, the rest of us will notice.

[Loick] I think we should presume any attempt to take the children outside is motivated by external forces.

[Alma] If not block attemptsc completely.

[Ysabeau] If Martan stays with me here, and he succeeds in compelling one of us, will I be able to attack my husband? Will you be able to attack me?

[Ysabeau] Go with them, please.

[Martan] I will.

  • Ysabeau kisses him.

[Ysabeau] Thank you. I love you.

  • Martan kisses her back.
  • Martan will go with the others to the park, then.
  • Ysabeau hopes she made the right decision. He could get in trouble at the park too.
  • Ysabeau will stay and be strong for herself and Marla and the babies.
  • Alma will check with Martan to see if trying via the Ethereal First is best, or if we should just go in disguised.

[Alma] (Alma sucks at bluffing so she could be ethereal alone even :P)

[Martan] I think the disguises are our best bet. We don't know what he may be able to perceive with his magic...

[Martan] This way we attract least attention, hopefully.

  • Alma nods

[Loick] Do you have True Seeing cast?

[Alma] I will cast it once we are somewhat nearer - maybe 2-3 minutes away?

[Loick] All right.

  • Loick offers you his arm, then, so you look like you're just going out for a nice stroll.
  • Alma will then cast it on herself and Martan
  • Alma takes Loick's arm, comfortable at least with seeming friendly with a good man, even though she's still nervous.

[DiablotinNarrator] You walk to the Firefly Gardens, which are not too far from Alma's house.

[DiablotinNarrator] The weather is sunny but a bit chill, so there aren't huge crowds of people there.

  • Alma relies on her diplomatic training to provide her with things to seem to be talking about.

[DiablotinNarrator] Alma, your true seeing gives you an unsettling sight as you approach. You can see a dragon in the garden.

  • Martan evidently sees it too, you hear him breathe in sharply.

[Alma] [q] Oh Owl protect us.

[Alma] (A dragon not a hellfire wyrm?)

[Loick] [q] What is it?

[DiablotinNarrator] (well, yes. a hellfire wyrm, if you want to be specific :)

[Alma] It's Kavreshar..

[Alma] [q] Shall we go back?

[Loick] [q] Yes, I think that's best.

  • Alma will comment on how cold her toes have become @_@
  • Loick will pass on by the park a little way, cross the street, and take another route back towards your house.

[Alma] (Did we get close enough to see if he's still masquerading as Phelix?)

[Loick] [q] For what it's worth, I saw only an old beggar there.

[Alma] It was definitely him...

[Loick] [q] So evidently a new disguise.

  • Alma shakes her head .oO( That /thing/ knows where I live D: )

[Martan] [q] Gods, what would have happened if Ysa hadn't resisted him...

[Alma] It's no matter, because she did, and now we're forewarned.

  • Martan nods.

[Alma] And it would also have seemed a strange fixation, despite her affection for them...

[Alma] .oO( Now if I was out ... o_O )

[Martan] [q] Would it be prudent to move the babies? Teleport them to us for a few days, say? Or do you think he would be able to find them again even with precautions in place?

[Alma] I'm not sure if he could find them again quickly...

[Martan] Maybe if we keep moving them, then.

[Alma] Or should we chose someplace where we feel them safe even if he does find them?

[Martan] I know it's inconvenient for everyone, but maybe that's safest for now. It would also spare you a bit, Sister - you shouldn't have to bear all of this on yourself.

[Loick] Where would that be?

  • Alma sighs, not really sure where that would be -_-

[Alma] I don't know.

[Alma] That might be best, I suppose.

[Martan] I know Ysabeau is willing to shoulder some of the burden in caring for them. And our place is as well-defended as anywhere...

[DiablotinNarrator] You arrive back at Alma's house without further incidents.

  • Ysabeau is very relieved that you're all alive, especially if you tell her it was Kavreshar there. D:
  • Alma takes them back up to where Ysabeau is waiting.
  • Ysabeau is hugging little Mercy.

[Ysabeau] [q] Thank the gods.

  • Martan gives Ysa a hug, careful of the baby.

[Alma] Martan has suggested that to keep Kavreshar in the dark, you take the two with you by stealth...

  • Martan nods.

[Ysabeau] ...

  • Alma looks to see what Loick's thoughts on that are.

[Alma] (sm)

  • Alma rolls [ 1d20+35 ] getting [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 35 ] totals [ 39 ]

[Loick] I think moving them to another secure location is prudent. As long as we're all aware now that anyone who tries to take them outside may be under the influence of that... thing.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] I trust Marla would appreciate being hidden as well, if she's willing to continue...

[Loick] We'll just have to make sure we find a few other secure locations, as necessary.

[Ysabeau] If he catches on, there are all the servants at Maze's house, who could be compelled.

[Ysabeau] As well as us, and...

[Alma] Hmm... I suppose at their age it would be difficult to hide their presence.

[Loick] Silence on the room?

[Loick] I'll give it some further thought.

[Martan] As long as people who are trusted - and strong-willed - can stay with them, then if someone tries to take them away, they can be stopped.

[Alma] Hallow might also benefit as well.

[Alma] It would protect against anyone inside being influenced.

  • Loick nods.

[Ysabeau] It's really just going to be a race between us and him, isn't it? :/

[Loick] We're working on ways to stop him.

[Alma] It always was, dear... but at least now we know to run.

[Loick] We just have to keep ahead of him long enough to put one of those into effect.

  • Alma will give Ysabeau a side-hug.
  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Well, it's a good thing my schedule's looking pretty clear, then. I won't be leaving the house for a while. ^-^

[Martan] It's practice for our own little one :)

[Loick] All right. I should be going, but I'll be in touch.

[Alma] Thank you, Your Grace.

  • Alma will see him to the door.

[Ysabeau] If I were a clever hellwyrm, I'd be having the house watched.

[Ysabeau] This one. So... if we take the babies by stealth, we'll have to return by stealth and leave obviously.

[Ysabeau] It might just be easier for us to go, and you to bring them, Sister.

[Martan] Agreed. We'll leave as normal, and Sister Alma can bring the babies by other means, if that's all right.

  • Alma nods

[Alma] I'll get everything together and see if Marla is willing to continue on.

[Martan] To the back door, I think :)

[Alma] Hmm, I have not been there... could you describe it to me?

  • Martan will do so.
  • Alma nods

[DiablotinNarrator] All right - you make your various preparations, and Alma can bring over the babies later that day.

  • Alma will let a dimensional Ward drop and teleport them
  • Ysabeau will thank Martan's dudes who came with him for their help. I'm guessing they stayed with me and Marla while you went to the park.

[DiablotinNarrator] (yes)

[Alma] (Lock even)

  • Ysabeau will have been making it a goal to remember all of Maze/Martan's henchmen by name
  • Alma probably does put out the candle int he nursery with a teeny bit of melancholy.

[Curtana] awww

[DiablotinNarrator] The end, for now...

Solos

Ilphere, Sanadhil and Phedre

[DiablotinNarrator] Ilphere, it's fairly late at night when you receive San's sending - maybe 11 pm or so. Menard is in bed. What do you do?

[Ilphere] (Hm)

[Ilphere] (Is he actually asleep?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (he's dozing, you think)

[Ilphere] Menard...?

[Menard] ...hm?

  • Menard rolls over.

[Ilphere] I have to go out for a bit... I just had a Sending from Sanadhil, and he is having... a personal crisis... :/

[Menard] What's wrong?

[Ilphere] He only had 25 words...

[Menard] ...right... where are you going?

[Ilphere] ... He's at Mme. Lozada-Boyne's house.

[Menard] huh...

[Menard] is that safe? I mean... I'm sure it's safe. But you know... tabloids...

[Ilphere] I'll teleport, don't worry...! :)

[Menard] All right.

  • Menard gives you a kiss.

[Ilphere] I'll be back soon...!

  • Ilphere gives him a kiss before going.

[Menard] I hope everything's ok.

[Ilphere] So do I...!

  • Ilphere will poof on over to Phedre's place.
  • Ilphere knocks on the door, wrapped up in a big cloak.

[Ilphere] (AND CLOTHES)

[DiablotinNarrator] (heheh)

  • Phedre opens the door, looking anxious.

[Phedre] San... oh. Good evening.

[Ilphere] He said that I should come here...

[Ilphere] He isn't with you..?

[Phedre] Not yet.

[Phedre] He contacted you as well?

  • Phedre steps aside to let you in.
  • Ilphere nods.

[Phedre] Did he tell you what happened?

  • Ilphere comes inside, lowering the hood of her cloak.
  • Phedre closes the door behind you.

[Ilphere] Yes... Bessa...

  • Phedre nods.

[Phedre] Poor girl.

[Ilphere] How did she even get it...?

[Phedre] I don't know.

[Ilphere] (le SM)

[DiablotinNarrator] (you can roll)

[Ilphere] (pff 24)

  • Phedre seems genuinely confused.

[Phedre] I know she had been fascinated by it - she was convinced it held the key to the Serpent's rebirth. I could imagine her taking it into her head to try and experiment with it...

[Ilphere] I wonder if she knew it would kill her... :/

[Phedre] I don't know. But I ... I think it's a risk she would have taken willingly, for such a cause :/

[Ilphere] (wait, sec, I don't actually know she's dead_

[Sanadhil] (no, but you might guess based on the LL)

[Ilphere] (alrighty)

  • Sanadhil knocks
  • Ilphere glances toward the door...
  • Phedre hurries over to answer it.
  • Sanadhil is at the door, looking pretty okay thanks to an illusion spell that he will let drop once he is inside
  • Phedre helps you in.

[Phedre] Come, sit down, let me heal you...

  • Sanadhil then looks pretty beat up, as if he was standing very close to a massive magical explosion @_@

[Sanadhil] Thank you.

  • Sanadhil will sit gratefully.
  • Phedre ushers you into a sitting room, and guides you to a couch.

[Sanadhil] Do you have anything to drink?

  • Ilphere follows along.

[Phedre] Of course...

[Phedre] Ilphere, if you could?

  • Phedre gestures to the drinks cabinet.
  • Phedre then begins to pray, casting a healing spell.

[Ilphere] What sort of thing...?

  • Ilphere looks over the selection...
  • Sanadhil shakes his head

[Sanadhil] Wine perhaps?

[Sanadhil] something stronger would be fine.

  • Phedre heals you up, with a couple spells.
  • Sanadhil stretches, feeling less tender.
  • Ilphere will choose a nice cognac or something. :3

[Sanadhil] I had hoped to bring back Bessa's remains, but it wasn't possible. I left her at the Well.

  • Phedre nods.

[Phedre] I can ... go find her, later.

  • Sanadhil nods.

[Sanadhil] good.

[Phedre] Are you feeling stronger now?

[Sanadhil] yes, much better, thank you.

  • Ilphere passes you the glass.

[Ilphere] Here...

  • Sanadhil takes the drink gratefully though

[Phedre] Can you tell us what happened? Or do you need to contact anyone else?

  • Sanadhil takes a drink

[Sanadhil] I need to speak to Vianca Belden, but I can do that later, I think.

  • Phedre nods.

[Sanadhil] As for what happened... I learned that she was at the well, and went there immediately - I didn't know if I would be in time as it was.

[Sanadhil] She had the starflake, and had been quite drawn in - either by the song of the well, or simply her own convictions, I'm not certain.

[Sanadhil] She told me that she was certain that this would release the essence of the Serpent that was trapped on that plane.

  • Phedre sits down beside you to listen.

[Sanadhil] The artifact seemed to give her power over the plane, as the legend lore suggested. I tried to convince her to consider her actions, and she caused a great earthquake.

[Phedre] Deliberately? :o

[Sanadhil] I'm not certain.

[Phedre] Trying to harm you deliberately seems so unlike Bessa.

[Sanadhil] Perhaps the flake itself was workign against my interruption.

[Sanadhil] She was not wholly in her own mind though.

[Sanadhil] I'm fairly certain of that.

[Ilphere] :/

[Sanadhil] I'm not sure if it would have been, though.

[Sanadhil] She told me once that she would have willingly seen the arch here destroyed, and all of the city with it, if it might heal the damage done to it @_@

[Sanadhil] The Arch I mean, and the Serpent.

[Ilphere] Oh my... :o

[Sanadhil] Mm.

[Sanadhil] It's done now, though - the shadowplane has stars again.

[Phedre] How amazing...

[Sanadhil] the power that was released was... incredible

[Sanadhil] Amazing, yes, and overwhelming.

[Sanadhil] I hope that her desires were effected, in anycase.

[Ilphere] Yes...

[Ilphere] How might we ascertain that...?

[Phedre] I hope so too.. that she considered her sacrifice worthwhile.

  • Sanadhil nods.
  • Phedre considers.

[Phedre] With the ball coming up, I had hoped to gain access to the Arch chamber at the palace once more, and commune with the Serpent there.

[Phedre] Perhaps because of the residual energies of the room, I find my contact is stronger there, and at the Down of course, but that is less feasible.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] it would be wise to ward the room against scrying, if possible

[Ilphere] A Sanctum spell should accomplish that...

[Sanadhil] your last rite there was spied upon

[Phedre] How?

[Phedre] The room is strongly warded - the protections that were in place there when it contained the Arch have not been removed.

[Ilphere] Seth...

[Sanadhil] I think the timing was coincidental...

[Sanadhil] but yes, we know of someone who has the ability to move himself *into* stone, and can hear, if not see, what happens around him

[Sanadhil] he lurked in the wall

[Ilphere] I am not sure how one would stop him from doing that...

[Sanadhil] Zone of Silence would be sufficient if he was not within it

[Sanadhil] he would have to emerge from the wall to see anythign if the area is protected from scrying

[Phedre] Hm... that is difficult to defend against, but, as you say, a Sanctum might be best.

[Ilphere] Yes... but how to be sure?

[Phedre] And, if the timing was coincidental, the odds of him stumbling upon us again are low, I hope.

[Sanadhil] were he someone else it might be easy to ensure he was distracted at the ball...

[Sanadhil] I'm not even sure he woudl be in attendance

[Sanadhil] on the other hand, I think he is quite tied up with his new project - it may not be an issue

  • Phedre nods.

[Phedre] Well, if when we reach that point you feel it is a concern, we will take additional precautions.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] The Countess de Beziers may try to scry as well, but if the area is already protected that is less of a concern

  • Phedre nods.

[Phedre] I hope that communion with the Serpent will provide us with the answers we seek.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] what are the answers we seek, at this time?

[Phedre] I will be compiling a list... I think foremost among them after these events has to be whether the Serpent is once again ... whole.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Phedre] If either of you have suggestions, I would welcome them - I will be able to ask several questions.

[Sanadhil] I will giev the matter some thought

[Phedre] Yes or no questions are best.

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Phedre adds.
  • Sanadhil sips his cognac some more
  • Earric wanders downstairs in his dressing gown.

[Earric] Aren't you coming to bed... oh, hello there :)

[Sanadhil] Good evening...

[Earric] And Princess Ilphere, too!

  • Earric bows politely, smiling.

[Ilphere] Ah, hello...!

[Earric] It's been much too long since we've had the pleasure.

[Earric] I apologize for not being more presentable ;)

[Sanadhil] We present an unexpected intrusion - it is no matter.

  • Sanadhil is healed but still probably looks like, well, he was in the middle of an explosion @_@
  • Earric goes to help himself to something to drink, then.

[Earric] What brings you here at this hour?

[Earric] Not the usual, I assume, by your look.

[Sanadhil] No.

[Ilphere] The usual...?

[Sanadhil] Bessa DuChamp is dead..

[Earric] Tsk... that's too bad. What happened?

  • Sanadhil eyes Phedre

[Phedre] She died restoring the stars to the Shadow Plane.

  • Phedre says after a brief moment of consideration.

[Earric] She what? :o

[Sanadhil] Yes.

[Sanadhil] She broke the starflake. @_@

[Earric] Well, that was monumentally unwise.

[Sanadhil] Fatally. -_-

[Ilphere] :/

[Earric] And the consequences... who knows.

[Sanadhil] indeed.

  • Sanadhil sips his cognac :|

[Earric] Were you there?

  • Earric asks Ilphere and San.

[Sanadhil] I was. I was unable to stop her...

[Earric] But you're all right?

[Sanadhil] I am now, yes.

  • Earric seems genuinely concerned for San, for those watching ;)


Sanadhil, orgy

  • Sanadhil will see Ilphere off home, and excuse himself to Send another message to his companion back at the palace @_@
  • Sanadhil sends her the following: I am well, but Mme Lozada Boyne wishes me to stay , I will send tomorrow to let you know when I should be home.

[DiablotinNarrator] Dozilva replies: I am glad to hear you are well, I will see you soon.

[Sanadhil] (and where are they going to settle me - in their room? ^-^)

[DiablotinNarrator] (of course ;)

[Sanadhil] (hah ^-^)

[DiablotinNarrator] As you are on your way upstairs you hear a knock at the door.

  • Phedre turns back to see who it is.

[Earric] ...busy night.

[Sanadhil] Mmm.

[Phedre] ... M. Orecalo? The door is for you.

[Sanadhil] ...ah?

[Sanadhil] (how fast did she get here? o_O)

[Dozilva] (fast enough to have teleported)

[Sanadhil] (ahh)

  • Sanadhil goes to the door

[Dozilva] (although you may have spent more time talking than we have covered here)

[Sanadhil] (fair)

[Sanadhil] Ahh... hello, my dear.

[Dozilva] Good evening. I see you are well.

[Sanadhil] Yes... as I said @_@

[Dozilva] I thought I would come to see for myself.

[Sanadhil] That was very...considerate. I'm sorry to have concerned you.

[Phedre] Well, you are of course welcome to come in, my dear, and confirm that he's quite well.

[Dozilva] Thank you.

  • Dozilva will step in, taking off her cloak.

[Sanadhil] ...Of course.

  • Earric returns down the stairs.

[Earric] Well good evening :)

  • Sanadhil smiles somewhat tightly

[Dozilva] Good evening. I think we have not been properly introduced.

[Sanadhil] No.

[Sanadhil] Mr. Earric Boyne and Mme Phedre Lozada-Boyne, this is Mlle. Zilvia Baru.

[Earric] A pleasure to meet you.

[Phedre] Yes, quite.

[Dozilva] Likewise.

[Sanadhil] (to D): PLease be careful.

[Dozilva] :oh?

[Sanadhil] :...yes.

[Dozilva] :he's the one, isn't he.

  • Sanadhil just nods

[Phedre] Will you be taking our guest home, then? He's had a very tiring day.

  • Phedre says with a smile.

[Sanadhil] That would be a good idea, I think.

[Dozilva] He wished to stay, I believe.

  • Sanadhil looks to her.

[Sanadhil] But, now that you have come all this way...

[Earric] [m] of course he did.

[Phedre] Well, we are happy to host you both, of course, if you wish :) There is more than enough room.

  • Sanadhil glances at him.

[Sanadhil] :Stay away from her @_@

[Earric] :ooh, fierce ]:)

[Sanadhil] :I'm not playing.

[Earric] :Of course not.

  • Dozilva glances to San.

[Sanadhil] ...

[Sanadhil] I'm sure there is, of course @_@

[Dozilva] Good, then.

[Dozilva] I was so worried about him, you know. Even though he kept saying he was fine.

  • Dozilva says to Phedre.

[Sanadhil] :to D:What are you doing @_@

[Phedre] I understand completely, my dear.

[Dozilva] :I am getting to know your friends.

[Sanadhil] :No.

  • Sanadhil shakes his head.

[Phedre] Is something wrong?

  • Phedre asks, concerned.

[Sanadhil] :I'm sorry, it just unexpected.

[Sanadhil] It has been an unexpectedly exerting day, is all.

[Phedre] Of course... you poor thing, and we're keeping you standing here talking, when you should be in bed.

[Sanadhil] ... yes.

[Sanadhil] :This will just require more explanations...

[Sanadhil] (to E&D)

[Dozilva] :I can explain myself.

[Sanadhil] :Not just of you.

[Earric] :Oh, you haven't told her?

[Sanadhil] :No.

[Earric] :Well, she'll learn.

  • Phedre begins ushering you up the stairs again, making sure that Dozilva is also following.

[Sanadhil] :She knows some things.

  • Sanadhil take's D's hand
  • Dozilva squeezes your hand.

[Sanadhil] :but not...everything.


Sanadhil and Vianca

  • Sanadhil will Send Vianca a message mid-morning the next day saying he can meet her at the society shortly if she's available
  • Vianca will reply, reminding you that there is no place to meet at the Society, but you are welcome to come to her house.

[Sanadhil] (LOL man brain fart on my part, bleh...)

[Vianca] (well, it's understandable :)

[Sanadhil] (Fair :3)

  • Sanadhil will head there then, after a moment of self-annoyance
  • Vianca greets you when you arrive.

[Sanadhil] Good Mornig, Madam, I apologize for my thoughtlessness, and my tardiness...

[Sanadhil] And my news :/

[Vianca] Of course, that's fine. Come in, please.

  • Sanadhil will do so

[Vianca] Can I get you anything? There are biscuits, and there's tea...

[Sanadhil] tea woudl be lovely, thank you.

  • Vianca gets some tea, and brings biscuits as well in case you decide you want some too.
  • Sanadhil will take some tea, then.
  • Vianca sits down with you in her little parlour.

[Sanadhil] I sought out Laeken after I spoke with you yesterday

  • Sanadhil begins

[Sanadhil] I didn't find him until the early evening - he's established himself at the Castalia library, for the moment.

[Vianca] Hmm. I wonder how long that will last.

  • Sanadhil shakes his head

[Sanadhil] He seemed to accept my interruption well enough at least, and was willing to aid me.

[Sanadhil] As he wan't familiar with the artifact itself, I asked him to find Bessa.

[Sanadhil] His spell revealed that she was already on the Shadow Plane - though how she arrived there I'm not sure - at the Well of Souls.

[Sanadhil] I didn't think I had time to seek any assitance at that point, but carried myself there directly.

  • Vianca nods.

[Sanadhil] Mlle duChamp was there, of courtse, with the Starflake in hand. She was very caught up in it - I don't know if she was acting by her will alone, or had been seduced in part by the song of the Well...

[Sanadhil] She told me she felt what she was doing was right.

[Vianca] Of course, she would...

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I tried to compell her magically to come away, and seh seemed at first to comply

[Sanadhil] There was an earthquake though - something like the spell, and I'm not certian whether it was something she caused to try and deter me.

  • Sanadhil sighs

[Sanadhil] In any case, I was not able to prevent her breaking it.

[Vianca] If she was under the mental control of another force, perhaps it was not her own volition.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] it is possible

[Sanadhil] but there is no way to know, now

  • Vianca nods.

[Sanadhil] I had wondwered if she might have fallen under the sway of kavreshar somehow - the theft or the artifact, and the destruction oif the society seem very conveniently timed

[Vianca] It could be. I don't think we can discount that possibility, at lease.

[Vianca] (least)

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I was not in any state to recover her, afterwards...

[Sanadhil] This was all she had on her at the time

  • Sanadhil produces the ring

[Sanadhil] Perhaps it shoudl go to her family.... though I'm not sure what we can say.

[Vianca] Was this something she usually wore?

[Sanadhil] (Do I remember seeing it before?)

[Vianca] (you don't recall seeing it, but you might not have noticed... it's not really flashy or anything)

[Sanadhil] I'm not certain.

[Vianca] Nor am I. I think perhaps I should examine this, in case it played any role...

  • Sanadhil nods, and passes it to her

[Vianca] If it's harmless, of course we can return it to her family.

[Sanadhil] Very well.

[Vianca] After she broke the star, what happened next?

[Sanadhil] There was an explosion of magical energy... very powerful

[Sanadhil] The resulting energy was very potent, but it dissapated very quickly

[Sanadhil] In that brief moment I felt like I could have achieved anything... but as I said it passed quickly, and in the end I just wished I had been better prepared to deal with all that had occured -_-

[Sanadhil] by the time I recovered my senses, I could see again, and the sky was full of stars...

[Vianca] Fascinating...

[Sanadhil] (Were they stars/constellations that I recognized at all or were they all completely different?)

  • Sanadhil nods

[Vianca] (different)

[Sanadhil] It was - and very disconcerting

[Sanadhil] At that point I contacted yourself, and Princess Ilphere, as I had previously confided in her about the disappearance of the artifact...

[Sanadhil] As it was clear that I coudl do nothing firther for Mlle duChamp, I made arrangements to see to my own recovery.

  • Vianca nods.
  • Sanadhil waves his hands as if to say 'and now I'm here.'

[Vianca] I'm glad you were able to make your way back safely, and recover.

[Sanadhil] (sm ;)

  • Vianca seems genuinely relieved that you didn't die, but also maybe slightly skeptical that it took you that long to get healed up ;) but she's not upset with you.

[Sanadhil] (hey it was late and I was...sleepy @_@)

[Vianca] (yes)

[Vianca] Very well...

[Vianca] This will have to be disclosed, of course. But I believe we should minimize your involvement in it, if possible.

[Sanadhil] That would be... ideal

[Vianca] Who already knows that you were there?

[Vianca] Princess Ilphere...

  • Sanadhil nods

[Vianca] Anyone else?

[Sanadhil] I had to make some explanations to my companion, mlle Baru, as well, but she will not pose any difficulty.

  • Sanadhil admits
  • Vianca nods.

[Sanadhil] But that is all.

[Vianca] And obviously Laeken? But again, I don't know whether he is likely to reveal it.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I don't think he is likely to seek anyone out

[Vianca] Indeed...

[Sanadhil] I suppose if he is asked he may not be inclined to dissemble

[Vianca] THat's possible, but someone would have to ask.

[Sanadhil] indeed.

[Sanadhil] That seems unlikely.

[Vianca] Yes.

[Sanadhil] then how should we explain.... that the starflake was already missing when you gave me the box? And the doscovery of Bessa's involvement.

  • Vianca considers.

[Vianca] I will inform those who need to know that I discovered the starflake was missing after the fire. I had sent various valuables to safety, but it was not among them, so it must have been taken earlier. I remembered that Bessa had been in my office and would have been the only person with opportunity to take it.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] all true :/

[Vianca] With divination spells, I determined where she was, and went after her, but too late to stop her - she was already dead when I arrived, so I have retrieved her body and brought it home with much regret.

[Vianca] You are only involved insofar as you were the one who helped take other valuables to safety. Does that seem satisfactory?

[Sanadhil] yes.

[Vianca] Good. Speaking of which, I can take those back anytime.

  • Sanadhil nods and will retieve the box from his BoH for her

[Vianca] Thank you.

  • Sanadhil really hasn't touched them other than rifling through the box a zillion times in panic to be sure it really wasn't there @_@

[Vianca] Of course, the matter of whether she was acting in conjunction with Kavreshar is still unresolved.

[Sanadhil] I'm not sure how we can determine that at this distance...

[Vianca] Nor am I, unless that ring does turn out to have some significance.

[Sanadhil] or... whether he was the cause of the fire.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Vianca] I believe that he was. I cannot think of any other possible explanation...

  • Sanadhil nods

[Vianca] Now, whether it was deliberately targeted to cover the theft, or to harm specific individuals, I cannot say.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Very convenient for him, in any case.

[Vianca] Do you think this benefits him? The restoration of the stars to the Shadow Plane?

[Sanadhil] Its possible, yes.

[Sanadhil] Some of our research has suggested that the initial sabotage, and the trapping of the stars, was done to prevent the interference of The Serpent on that plane, and may have had some detrrimental effect on its power as well

[Sanadhil] this was before the destruction of Am.... and I wonder if the previous experience may have informed the reaction to ...whatever it was they were attempting there.

[Sanadhil] Releasing the stars will certainly grant divine influence on that plane again

  • Vianca nods.

[Sanadhil] and perhaps have some effect on the power the Serpent can draw on, at least

[Vianca] Well... the long-term results remain to be seen.

[Sanadhil] indeed.

[Sanadhil] :|

[Vianca] I appreciate your efforts, even if you were unable to prevent her.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] If I had had my thoughts more ordered, I may have been able to at least prevent her death...

[Sanadhil] :|

[Vianca] But to what end?

[Vianca] For her to return and face punishment?

[Sanadhil] I suppose.

  • Sanadhil still seems dissatisfied with himself.

[Sanadhil] At least she would have perhaps been abnle to answer some questions.

  • Sanadhil shakes his head.

[Sanadhil] I thank you for your support, and understanding.

[Vianca] You're welcome. And I appreciate your telling me all of this.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Of course.

  • Sanadhil smiles demurely

[Sanadhil] (done :3)

[Sanadhil] (?)

[Vianca] If you need to tell people about this, you can use the story we've devised I suppose. Although it might be preferable to wait until I've actually retrieved her body and spoken to her family.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Vianca] I'll do that today.

[Sanadhil] If you require any further assistance, please let me know

[Vianca] And you. Thank you again.


Sanadhil and Ysabeau

  • Ysabeau hires a carriage to take her to meet Sanadhil somewhere.
  • Sanadhil will meet you at his office :D
  • Ysabeau steps in, all bundled up against the cold outdoors.

[Ysabeau] Good afternoon, M. Orecalo.

[Ysabeau] How are you?

[Sanadhil] And you as well, Mme Olivier

[Sanadhil] Well enough....

  • Ysabeau undoes the fastenings of her overcloak now that she is somewhere warm. Her belly is ginormous.'

[Sanadhil] I've had some news from Vianca that I thought you would care to hear.

[Ysabeau] All right. Is it something I need to sit down for?

  • Ysabeau jokes?

[Sanadhil] You may like to!

  • Sanadhil smiles though, indicating the chairs
  • Sanadhil mostly means on account of you being ginormously pregnant though v@_@
  • Ysabeau smiles.
  • Ysabeau finishes taking off her cloak and settles herself in a chair.

[Ysabeau] Thank you.

[Sanadhil] I suspect news will be disseminating soon enough...

[Sanadhil] But it seems that Bessa DuChamp took the starflake, and she used it on the shadowplane... restoring the stars there.

  • Ysabeau takes a deep breath.

[Ysabeau] All right.

[Ysabeau] Did she die?

[Sanadhil] She did.

[Ysabeau] That's... sad. :/

[Sanadhil] Yes.

[Ysabeau] I didn't really know her, though.

  • Sanadhil agrees

[Ysabeau] Does anyone know why?

[Sanadhil] Its not clear, no.

[Ysabeau] Oh well.

[Ysabeau] I wish I knew for certain if that fulfills the "When the starlight returns to its first form" clause. Martan would possibly be relieved, if we could know for sure.

[Sanadhil] I understand...

[Ysabeau] Legend Lores are the bane of my existence, M. Orecalo.

  • Ysabeau says dryly.

[Sanadhil] But I thought you would at least like to be informed. As I said, I suspect the news will be disseminated more broadly soon enough

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Sanadhil] I can imagine, at this point.

[Ysabeau] Thank you for letting me know. I'll pass the information on to my husband.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I understand Vianca is trying to keep the information discrete until the family has had more time to cope... I expect I can trust you to respect that as well.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Will you be going to the ball in a few days?

[Sanadhil] I expect so, yes.

  • Ysabeau smiles slightly.

[Sanadhil] will you be attending as well?

[Ysabeau] I hope we'll be able to go, yes. But I might not be able to stay very late. You would not believe how tiring making babies can be.

  • Ysabeau says it with a straight face, though it is a double entendre.

[Sanadhil] Mmmhmnmm.

[Sanadhil] I can imagine

  • Sanadhil replies, equally striaght faced
  • Ysabeau smiles michievously.

[Sanadhil] are you prepared for your defense?

[Ysabeau] As prepared as I can be, yes.

[Ysabeau] I'm trying not to think about it too much because it makes me feel nauseated.

[Ysabeau] Will you be coming to it?

[Sanadhil] I hope to!

[Sanadhil] I'm sure it will be fascinating

[Ysabeau] One can hope.

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] Martan and Verity will be there, too.

  • Sanadhil smiles in return as well
  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I'm sure some of your other fellows from the society will be in attendance as well

[Sanadhil] I believe Ilphere intends to come.

[Ysabeau] Symon might come, yes.

[Ysabeau] Oh, she does?

[Sanadhil] That was my impression, in any case

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I'm looking forward to having it done with.

[Ysabeau] I always feel a little inadequate around you and Ilphere.

  • Ysabeau admits
  • Sanadhil shakes his head

[Sanadhil] I think we've had this discussion before - its really unmerited.

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] I know. Vestiges from my past, I suppose.

[Sanadhil] You do yourself and your talents a great disservice.

[Ysabeau] Oh, I write some damn fine music, don't get me wrong. ;)

[Sanadhil] Your training is more than purely scholastic in any case, and your position certainly speaks to your musical success!

[Ysabeau] Did you see the size of her water elementals?

[Ysabeau] I think they put out mine. ;)

[Ysabeau] Anyway. That's neither here nor there.

[Sanadhil] yes, and you're comparing apples and oranges.

[Sanadhil] But I wish you the best of luck, and wish I could have given you more certain information

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Thank you for telling me what you could.

[Ysabeau] Are you worried about how it will all turn out?

[Sanadhil] I hope for the best.

  • Ysabeau stands up and nods.

[Ysabeau] That's all I can do, too.

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Sanadhil stands as well

[Ysabeau] We stopped by Nine Elms the other morning... Emkathon feels a little stronger.

  • Sanadhil blinks

[Sanadhil] That is good to know, thank you

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I've been praying to her.

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Ysabeau] Gods, I hope he doesn't do something to her.

[Sanadhil] He can't, not as yet.

[Sanadhil] But... we need her.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I wish I could talk to her.

[Ysabeau] But I'm worried about the baby, and with all those weird effects down there.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] There are spells that would protect you

[Ysabeau] And anyway, even if I was holding her prison, I couldn't hear her.

[Sanadhil] I would have like to take Thea there....

[Ysabeau] :/

[Sanadhil] Not personally, perhaps

[Sanadhil] Ahh well :|

[Sanadhil] You would feel her, though @_@

  • Sanadhil sort of absently touches his chest

[Sanadhil] It's... remarkable.

  • Ysabeau smiles sadly.
  • Sanadhil understates
  • Ysabeau awkwardly tries to drape her cloak around her shoulders again.

[Ysabeau] Well, take care, M. Orecalo.

[Sanadhil] You as well - Good day, Mme.

  • Ysabeau smiles a little more bravely, and will head out.
  • Sanadhil sees you out of his office

Ilphere and Laeken

[DiablotinNarrator] Ilphere, you have been working away in whatever spare time you can find on your final project for the Castalia. This necessarily brings you to the library there, especially since the Society's library was decimated.

  • Coco knows your work well enough to set things that might be of interest aside for you, so you usually check with her when you come in.

[Ilphere] Good morning...!

[Coco] Oh, good morning, Princess Ilphere! I have a few things here for you...

  • Coco draws out some books and scrolls and offers them to you for your inspection.

[Ilphere] Oh, wonderful...! :)

  • Ilphere looks through them... (anything of particular note?)

[Coco] I hope they'll be useful.

[DiablotinNarrator] (it looks to be useful stuff, but nothing important enough for me to make up a title ;)

[Ilphere] Yes, I think so...!

[Coco] Wonderful!

[Ilphere] Thank you...! :)

[Coco] Listen, do you have a moment?

[Ilphere] Of course... what is it?

  • Coco glances around to see if anyone is nearby, and seeing no one, she continues in a lower voice.

[Coco] [q] This might sound mad.

[Ilphere] [q] Oh...? :o

[Coco] [q] I don't know if you ever noticed it, but there was a skull that someone had placed in the Society's library. I used to notice it in different places - I thought it was odd that whoever donated it didn't just leave it in one place.

[Ilphere] Right...

[Coco] [q] Well, since the fire, I've noticed it - or at least, a skull of some sort - here! At first I thought I must be imagining it, but I've seen it several times, sitting on a windowsill or a table...

  • Coco shakes her head.

[Ilphere] Someone must have taken it out of the building and brought it here...

[Coco] [q] I tried to see if it might be magical, but it wasn't. Just an ordinary skull.

[Ilphere] [q] Are you sure it's the same one? Skulls look much the same to me.. :o

[Coco] It's true... But why would someone bother to move it around? I was puzzled why someone would even bother to donate it to the Society in the first place, but then, people do find the oddest things in their studies...

[Ilphere] Students find amusement in the most peculiar ways...

[Ilphere] It might be a sort of game...?

[Coco] Well, that's certainly true... it could be, I suppose.

  • Coco seems slightly reassured at that.

[Coco] Next time I see it, I'm going to take it and ... I don't know, lock it away in a cabinet.

[Ilphere] It bothers you that much...?

[Coco] It seems disrespectful to whoever it used to be.

[Coco] Perhaps it should be reburied...

  • Ilphere makes a mental note to let Laeken know to be more discreet :x...

[Coco] Well, I've troubled you long enough, I'm sure!

[Ilphere] I don't know, I could think of worse things for my skull to be doing than wandering about a library...! ;)

[Ilphere] But I can certaibly see how it would be disconcerting.

  • Coco chuckles at that.

[Coco] I'm sure it's probably quite harmless.

  • Ilphere nods...

[Ilphere] Now I'm going to be looking for it...! ;)

[Coco] Well, perhaps you'll have more luck than I have at seeing who's moving it about!

[Ilphere] I will let you know if I discover anything...

  • Ilphere laughs lightly
  • Coco does too.
  • Coco returns to her work, then, and lets you get on with yours.
  • Ilphere gets down to business... but will keep an eye out for Laeken. ;)

[DiablotinNarrator] You meander through the corridors and chambers of the grand library, and eventually you do spot him, sitting on a windowsill with a stack of books.

  • Ilphere glances around to make sure no one is within earshot...

[DiablotinNarrator] You seem to be in the clear.

[Ilphere] [q] Hello...?

[Ilphere] (what does it look like he's reading?)

[DiablotinNarrator] The book that's open is a study of diplomatic relations between Psyra and Aveyrone, prior to Psyra's incorporation into the Empire.

[Laeken] Yes?

  • Laeken says, perhaps having waited to finish the page he was reading before replying.

[Ilphere] [q] I just wanted to let you know that the librarian here has started to notice your... displacements...?

[Laeken] ...and?

[Ilphere] [q] I mean, do whatever you like with that information... it's just that she may try to put you in a cabinet.

[Laeken] Oh no.

  • Laeken says dryly.
  • Ilphere shrugs slightly.

[Laeken] I imagine it would bother her if I disappeared from her cabinet.

[Ilphere] Possibly...

[Laeken] I do not wish to attract unnecessary attention.

[Ilphere] Anyhow, I told her it was probably just students mucking about.

[Laeken] Do students do that?

  • Ilphere nods...

[Ilphere] Younger ones, usually.

[Laeken] Hm.

[Laeken] Well, it will be just as well - they won't be around long.

[Ilphere] ... I'm not sure I take your meaning?

[Laeken] The war. I overheard some speak of being drafted, of the university being shut down...

[Laeken] It will be delightfully quiet then.

[Ilphere] Oh, yes, I suppose so... :/

[Laeken] You appear to be near your date of parturition.

[Ilphere] Yes, that's right...

[Ilphere] I am attempting to get as much as possible done beforehand...

[Laeken] That seems wise.

[Laeken] Infants at any proximity make studying next to impossible.

  • Laeken speaks as if from some long-distant but still keenly-recalled memory.

[Ilphere] So I'm told...

[Laeken] I will hope that you survive the experience unscathed.

[Ilphere] Thank you...!

  • Ilphere says sincerely.

[Laeken] And the child as well, I suppose.

  • Laeken adds as an afterthought.

[Ilphere] Well... I should return to my studies, and leave you to your reading...

[Laeken] Yes, very well. I shall attempt to be more ... discreet in future.

  • Ilphere smiles...

[Ilphere] Good day, then...!

[Laeken] Good day.

  • Laeken goes back to his book...


Guillame and Aden

  • Aden invites you over to his house for dinner and ... whatever.
  • Guillame accepts, of course
  • Aden greets you warmly when you arrive.
  • Guillame beams

[Guillame] How has your day been?

[Aden] Oh... busy, but not too bad. It keeps me preoccupied, at any rate.

  • Aden worries distractedly with a cufflink.

[Guillame] Preoccupied from what?

[Aden] The wedding... It's coming up surprisingly quickly.

[Guillame] Oh my, I suppose it is!

[Aden] Three weeks.

[Guillame] You'll have to find lots of ways to keep yourself preoccupied.

[Aden] Well, Zivia and her mother are taking care of most everything. All I have to do is show up wearing what they tell me to wear.

[Guillame] Have they told you yet? What to wear?

  • Guillame has a curious grin on his face

[Aden] Uh... more or less. I still have a fitting for the coat.

[Guillame] Ooo! When can I see it?

[Aden] Probably about two weeks? :)

  • Aden manages a smile, but seems a bit anxious.

[Guillame] I'm sure you'll look absolutely dashing

[Aden] I'm not worried about how I'll look.

[Aden] :/

  • Guillame nods, managing to control himself long enough for a little sympathy.

[Aden] I'm just... having second thoughts.

[Aden] It's probably too late for that, isn't it.

[Guillame] I... don't think that it is...

[Aden] I'm probably being foolish.

[Guillame] I mean, there would be some scandal maybe, and I'm sure the Rademachers would be upset, but it's not really too late until you've made the vows.

[Aden] It's not as if I didn't know...

[Guillame] Is it something to do with you and Zivia? Or getting married itself?

[Aden] Zivia... I overheard her talking to her friend Ida.

[Aden] I shouldn't have eavesdropped, I know.

  • Guillame listens

[Aden] She was talking about a party at the palace... a private party.

[Aden] She was complaining, really - about the manners of some of the, uh, guests.

  • Guillame keeps listening, confused.

[Aden] Look, I know about the Emperor. I can understand that - he's *the Emperor*.

[Aden] But some random half-elf... I don't know if I can understand *that*.

[Aden] I know, I can't expect her to tell me all of these things...

  • Aden shrugs.

[Aden] Maybe it's foolish to be bothered by that sort of thing.

[Guillame] Well, I'm not sure if I followed all of that, but... if you *are* bothered by it, then you should probably try to resolve that before you get married, I suppose.

[Guillame] . o O (How many half-elves are there in this city?)

[Guillame] Have you talked about this with her before? Was it something you already knew about?

[Aden] Well, I only heard part of it myself, so I don't know if I know all the details either. There was some sort of gathering at the palace, she ...disported herself with a half-elven gentleman, and complained about his ill manners.

[Aden] I knew about the Emperor. I suppose I should have guessed there would be others too... it wasn't something we had specifically talked about, though.

[Guillame] I guess if you piss off Zivia, she'll probably tell people about us... I'm rather less worried about that nowadays, though.

  • Aden nods...

[Guillame] After everything that's happened with my family, and the big disaster of *my* wedding :)

[Aden] I don't want to piss her off. I do care for her. I just feel a bit... ignored.

[Guillame] Well, we can't have that, can we? I bet I know someone who can help you to feel less ignored...

  • Aden laughs.

[Aden] You're right, I should just talk to her, shouldn't I. I just feel embarrassed for eavesdropping on her.

  • Guillame nods

[Guillame] I don't know Zivia very well, but if you're ok with her, um, disportations, and really just want more time with her yourself, that doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

[Aden] I suppose I would rather hear about them from her, rather than overhearing them - or reading about them in the tabloids.

[Aden] After all, whatever she tells Ida, half the town will know :p

[Guillame] I'm sure she'd be pleasantly surprised to hear that. You could always tell her that somebody came to you in concern and confidence, if you don't want to admit to overhearing?

[Aden] I could... that might work, yes.

  • Aden sighs.

[Aden] It's not as if I've had a lot of time for her lately, either... I suppose it's unfair to her.

[Guillame] It's a rather common symptom of impending marriage, sad to say.

[Aden] How are things with you and Portia?

[Guillame] Well, from my point of view.

[Aden] I'm glad :)

[Guillame] I suppose you might have been wondering what became of our appointments together...?

[Aden] Well, I didn't think it was my business to inquire, but... success?

[Guillame] Sadly not yet, but because of the lack of success, we're trying another approach.

[Guillame] Fingers crossed :)

[Aden] Oh? Well, best of luck, certainly!

[Guillame] Aden, if you get nervous about the wedding, think of it like this; it couldn't possibly go worse than mine did, and that worked out just fine.

[Aden] Heh. I suppose that's true...

  • Aden takes your hand.

[Aden] Thank you for the encouragement.

  • Guillame squeezes Aden's hand back