Diablotin 2 session 61

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 2 session logs
Previous Session 61 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: February 20, 2011
Diablotin date: 9-6-2248

Prologue

[DiablotinNarrator] The day of Guillame and Portia's wedding dawns, grey and cloudy, though not actually rainy (yet, anyway).

[DiablotinNarrator] The ceremony will be taking place in the Greysmoke Temple in Rhenea, with the banquet afterwards to be held at Portia's manor in the Grand.

[DiablotinNarrator] Given the recent tragic deaths of the groom's mother and sister, the celebrations can be expected to be on the subdued side, or as subdued as the wedding of such high-ranking nobles can ever be.

[DiablotinNarrator] There are perhaps not as many guests in attendance as would normally be expected for such an occasion, but nevertheless many nobles, especially those of House Rat, are present, as well as friends and relations of the bride and groom.

[DiablotinNarrator] (those of you bringing guests, please let everyone know who you're with :)

[Ilphere] (I assume I came with my husband :V)

  • Sanadhil has brought his same date from the Imperial weddings.... the mysterious Zilvia Baru ;)
  • Alma has reluctantly squeezed into a dress in current fashion, and is leaning on the arm of Ser Danyel Rackley.
  • Ysabeau arrives with Martan Olivier.
  • Seth arrives alone.
  • Sanadhil sits with his lady on the groom's side
  • Alma looks for a nice spot where she can see the happy couple
  • Dominik_R arrives with Countess Fredericia Hartzell on his arms
  • Alma looks out amongst the others.
  • Seth will sit near the back, in the center, near the stone arms over the door.
  • Dominik glances around the crowd, spotting those he recognizes, and finds an appropriate seat


Guillame and Aden

[DiablotinNarrator] Guillame, you wait off to the side with Aden, who is of course your attendant.

  • Guillame frets about everything

[DiablotinNarrator] You try not to think about how much your mother was looking forward to this day, how much she would have loved to have seen it...

[Guillame] . o O (Thinks about it anyway)

[Aden_] How are you holding up?

[Guillame] ...

[Guillame] Inconsistently?

  • Aden_ nods.

[Guillame] I was just thinking how at the least, Alesia doesn't have to go through everyone paying attention to me all day...

[Aden_] :/

  • Guillame looks glum

[Aden_] You'll manage... You'll do wonderfully, in fact.

[Guillame] [q] I wish this was *our* wedding

[Aden_] ... [q] I do too.

[Aden_] [q] But look - this is going to be all right, and we'll make it work. I'm not going anywhere - you can't get away from me this easily ;)

  • Guillame smiles

[Guillame] [q] It *is* the right... a good choice, isn't it?

[Aden_] [q] I hope it is. I think it is.

  • Aden_ makes sure no one is looking, then gives you a quick kiss.

[Guillame] [q] I think so too... you're right, we'll make it work

  • Guillame smiles

[Guillame] [q] Thanks

[Aden_] Now... I think it's about time. I'll be right beside you if you need anything.

  • Guillame prepares himself
  • Aden_ and Guillame take up their places, then.


Wedding Ceremony

[DiablotinNarrator] The bride enters to the sounds of strings, following her cousin Tilda into the temple. She wears an elegant cream-coloured gown, trimmed with gold ribbon that seems to pale beside the gold of her hair.

[DiablotinNarrator] The ceremony is being performed by Reverend Father Velten, as befits the grandeur of the occasion and the status of the parties involved.

  • Portia comes to stand at Guillame's side.
  • Guillame shoots her a reassuring smile
  • Portia smiles back. She seems calm and composed.
  • Reverend_Father keeps things concise, speaking briefly of the joys and responsibilities of marriage before proceeding directly on to the important part, the ceremony itself.

[Reverend_Father] Guillame Rionet...

[Reverend_Father] Do you vow to take this woman, in the sight of all the gods, into your life, your house and your heart? To cherish her and keep her, in sickness and in health, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, for all the days of this life?

[Guillame] I do.

[Guillame] Yes.

[Reverend_Father] Portia Larache...

[Reverend_Father] Do you vow to take this man, in the sight of all the gods, into your life, your house and your heart? To cherish him and keep him, in sickness and in health, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, for all the days of this life?

[Portia] I do.

[Reverend_Father] Is there any just reason why this man and woman should not be joined here today?

[DiablotinNarrator] "The groom is sleeping with the best man, and the bride is a prostitute. The marriage is a sham," boom out loud voices from above.

[DiablotinNarrator] Everyone, of course, gasps, and looks around to see where the voices came from.

[Sanadhil] ...

[Reverend_Father] ...

[Alma] :o

  • Ilphere gasps in shock.

[Alma] [q] Oh my goodness.

  • Guillame sighs, and looks around
  • Sanadhil casts detect magic quietly
  • Ysabeau is on the alert. How shocking!

[DiablotinNarrator] "It was from the statues of the gods!" someone cries.

  • Ilphere casts detect magic also.
  • Reverend_Father looks pissed off, to say the least.

[DiablotinNarrator] (magic, if it was there, is gone now)

  • Ysabeau DMs as well.

[Ysabeau] (darn)

[Reverend_Father] A magic mouth spell - placed on the statues of the gods, no less! - is not an acceptable means of communicating an objection to a marriage!

  • Alma detects invisibility.
  • Reverend_Father says loudly and sternly, quieting the audience somewhat.

[Guillame] . o O ( Sham? No more so than most noble marriages... )

  • Ilphere looks around for a possible culprit, scowling. ]:(

[Reverend_Father] If anyone here has any valid, truthful concern about this marriage, let them say so publically and directly, with their own mouth, not hiding behind a spell.

[DiablotinNarrator] There is a long, uncomfortable silence. No one responds.

[Dominik] . o O (wow, so much makes sense now)

  • Alma looks at Aden and Guillame, despite herself

[Reverend_Father] Very well. As there is no *direct* challenge to this marriage, I see no reason why it should not take place.

  • Reverend_Father looks to the bride and groom.

[Reverend_Father] [q] That is, assuming you both wish to proceed.

  • Guillame looks a bit upset, but nods
  • Portia is pale, but nods firmly.

[Reverend_Father] Then by the power vested in me by the Seven, I pronounce you to be wed. What the gods have joined together, let no one dare to sunder.

  • Reverend_Father says this last with much more vigor than is normally put into a wedding ceremony.
  • Alma applauds ^_^
  • Ilphere joins in.
  • Portia manages a smile, taking Guy's hand.
  • Sanadhil also, hey :3
  • Guillame smiles at the applause
  • Seth applauds!
  • Ysabeau also joins in and glances at Martan beside her, getting over the shock and just enjoying the moment.

[DiablotinNarrator] With the ceremony completed successfully, the guests - no doubt more than a little bemused - will begin to make their way to Portia's home in the rain that has recently begun.

[Alma] [q] I can't believe the nerve...

  • Portia and Guillame get into their carriage to drive off...
  • Ysabeau leans over and whispers "If we decide some day to get married, remind me to suggest eloping."

[Ilphere] [q] What a disgusting, cowardly thing to do...!

[Alma] [q] Is that... Ysabeau, with Martan? o_o


Guillame and Portia

[Portia] I am going to *kill* whoever set that up. What a horrible thing to do...

  • Portia says once you are finally alone in the carriage.

[Guillame] I agree

  • Guillame says sternly

[Portia] Besides, it's not as if any of those things mean you can't get married. It's supposed to be for alerting the priest to people who are already married to someone else, or that sort of thing. Not for... spreading gossip!

  • Portia looks seriously angry.

[Guillame] Well, exactly. I was preparing to say "so what?" to the priest if he asked about it.

  • Portia just shakes her head.

[Guillame] Luckily, he was very professional.

[Portia] He's a good man... we should probably send him a gift in thanks for not embarrassing us further.

[Guillame] Yes.

[Guillame] Well, I suppose it's our turn in the gossip mill, now. We'll have to be even more discreet.

[Portia] Yes, this is going to be front-page news for at least a week :p

[Portia] But they'll forget about it as soon as something more exciting happens, like the Empress cutting her hair or something.

[Guillame] Maybe we could find a way to use it for something... show some good humor about it, get Aden involved or something.

  • Portia sighs.

[Portia] I think we just have to say it was a cruel prank, and it's all lies.

[Guillame] Yeah... it's just a shame to have the spotlight, and be limited to denying slander.

  • Portia chuckles slightly at that.

[Guillame] At the least, it seems very clear that I'm being targeted by someone, and some will be sympathetic to that.

  • Portia nods.

[Portia] It had to be someone who knows us... knows about us, I mean.

[Portia] Not just about me, or about you, but both of us.

[Guillame] Yes, indeed.

[Portia] It will blow over soon enough, I hope.

[Guillame] Soon enough, yes.

[Portia] I hope whoever did it is stewing that it didn't accomplish anything apart from being embarrassing.

[Guillame] I hope so too.


The Wedding Reception

[DiablotinNarrator] The tables are set and waiting when you arrive at Portia's house - it certainly takes a good hour or so to reach it from Rhenea.

[DiablotinNarrator] You are all announced properly as you arrive, and shown to your seats.

  • Ysabeau is indeed announced with Martan Olivier, then. ;)

[DiablotinNarrator] The first course consists of a creamy crab bisque, followed by delicate little egg-and-onion tarts. Then the meal proceeds to duck glazed with honey, topped with a light sprinkling of scallions and served on a bed of greens.

[Alma] .oO( Did she want to see me to tell me about her date, just like Sanadhil?! )

[DiablotinNarrator] A fresh fruit, biscuits, and cheese course lightens things up before dessert, which consists of crepes topped with either brandy-soaked cherries or zesty marmalade.

  • Sanadhil lets Dozilva have his meat dishes ;)

[DiablotinNarrator] Anything too lively would be indecorous while the groom is still in mourning, so instead, subdued music plays quietly in the background and guests make polite conversation.

  • Guillame is a little sullen at the start of dinner, but warms up as the evening moves along.

[DiablotinNarrator] (feel free to talk amongs yourselves, or to guests. People present include Aden & Zivia, various du Champes, Theonée, Silvia, your respective dates of course, assorted Rat nobles, friends of the bride you mostly don't recognize, etc. Oh, well, Dom recognizes one of them, since 'Ruby' is there...)

  • Sanadhil will try to keep other diners entertained while they are eating and he is mostly not ;p
  • Ysabeau is also a lively conversationalist at her table.
  • Dominik is somewhat subdued
  • Ysabeau will offer her congratulations to the couple once the meal is finished.
  • Alma says aside to Danyel, "We'll have to go talk to Ysabeau later... what in the world is she doing with him?"

[DiablotinNarrator] (True, San, you also recognize one of the young women as 'Madelen' from the cult meeting last year or whenever it was)

  • Guillame thanks Ysabeau
  • Ilphere will also drag Menard over to offer her best wishes. :3
  • Portia is polite and cheerful, putting on a good face for the guests.
  • Alma surreptitiously watches Theonee -_-
  • Sanadhil and Zilvia will likewise offer well wishes for a succesful mariage at an appropriate time

[Guillame] ["Jokes" to Aden] Well, I can forgive them for speculating about you and me [wink] but to be so vulgar about Portia...

  • Ysabeau will make small talk with you and Portia for a bit, dunno whether Martan is standing by me looking bored or what. ;)
  • Guillame receives well-wishings and congratulations graciously
  • Ysabeau greets Ilphere and Menard when they show up, and takes that as her cue to move aside and circulate with the other guests.


Alma, Ysabeau and Martan

  • Alma will navigate the crowd until she manages to reach Ysabeau and Martan.

[Alma] Ysabeau, how nice to see you :)

[Ysabeau] Oh, Sister! Good evening. Have you and M. Olivier met before?

[Alma] No, we have not yet been introduced.

[Ysabeau] (Is Danyel with you? I'd greet him too.)

[Alma] (He is standing a bit behind me chatting with someone else perhaps.)

[Ysabeau] Sister Alma de Beziers, M. Martan Olivier.

  • Alma gives Ysabeau a bit of a What the? look.

[Alma] A pleasure, M. Olivier.

[Ysabeau] It's too bad you were unable to meet beforehand.

[Martan] Pleased to see you, Sister.

[Alma] I'm sorry I was unable to meet with you yesterday... I hope my note arrived?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] It did, Sister, thank you.

[Alma] I hope it wasn't too urgent.

  • Ysabeau glances at Martan.

[Ysabeau] Oh, no. Just an interesting riddle we wanted to share with you. It might tie in to your research.

[Ysabeau] However, this may not be the best place to discuss it.

[Alma] Yes, of course... .oO( She's saying this right in front of him... )

[Alma] I have one as well... from Mr. du Champe's notes.

[Alma] .oO( How does one discreetly ask if she's told him? )

  • Alma looks to see if Martan looks as clueless as he should...

[Alma] (SM 39 if it matters)

  • Martan seems unsurprised about this conversation - as if Ysa has already told him to expect it, anyway.

[Alma] So you and M. Olivier have ... been talking?

[Martan] We have...

[Alma] Well, then I'm sorry I've been ... speaking around you, as it were. -_-

[Martan] It's all right. You see, the riddle seems to concern me.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] Well, I'll make sure I'm available when you two have the opportunity to talk more.

[Ysabeau] Well, if we don't stay too late here, perhaps we could retire to my house or some other suitable place and discuss it?

  • Ysabeau offers as a suggestion.

[Alma] I think that should be fine. Danyel and I have no pressing plans for the evening.

[Alma] Well, afterward...

  • Ysabeau glances at Martan and raises an eyebrow.

[Ysabeau] Does that work for you?

  • Ysabeau seems to be referring to Danyel being present, more than anything.

[Martan] It's fine...

  • Ysabeau turns back to Alma with a smile.

[Ysabeau] Very well - we'll look for each other before we leave, then?

[Alma] Enjoy yourselves :)

[Ysabeau] Thanks, you too.

  • Ysabeau smiles once more.
  • Alma will go find Danyel's arm again.
  • Ysabeau turns back to Martan as Alma leaves.

[Ysabeau] That was awkward.

[Martan] It's all right... it was bound to be, I suppose.

[Martan] Since she didn't know if she could talk in front of me.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Well, we'll see how things go later on.

  • Martan smiles.

[Ysabeau] Let's not worry about it until then?

[Martan] Yes. For now, let's enjoy ourselves...

  • Ysabeau holds out her arm with a smile.
  • Martan takes it.

[Ysabeau] Lead on.

  • Martan will gladly make chitchat with people, then.
  • Ysabeau will perform admirably as his arm-ornament. I think she has the charisma to pull it off. ;)

Dominik and Zivia

  • Dominik will congratulate the couple then seek out his sister
  • Sanadhil will drift over to say hello to Ilphere and Menard as well

[Dominik] Quite a ceremony... should I expect similar at yours?

[Zivia] Hmp... what a crude, ill-mannered thing to do. As if anyone cares.

  • Zivia says with a sniff.

[Dominik] I don't really care, which is probably why I didn't notice the little nuances until it was quite loudly pointed out.

  • Seth will mill about until he has an opportunity to approach Menard.

[Zivia] well... Good, I suppose.

[Zivia] And as for you - you and Fredericia are an item now?

[Dominik] We are testing the waters to see where things may go

[Zivia] 'Testing the waters', is it.

[Dominik] I though you would be happy for me. Nabbing a countess.

[Zivia] I'll be happy when you marry her - anyone can sleep with a countess :p

[Dominik] Really now.

[Zivia] Well, I suppose it depends on the countess in question.

[Dominik] So when will you and Aden be making things official? Assuming it is heading that way.

[Zivia] Soon - I think sooner than we might have otherwise, given what happened today.

[Zivia] And probably set a date in the fall sometime.

[Dominik] So I should be expecting a niece or nephew sometime in the new year then?

  • Zivia eyes you to see if you're insinuating she's pregnant already.

[Dominik] Oh, I'm just saying, that is the point of such a marriage is it not? I figured youd want to get it out of way sooner that later.

[Zivia] Well... it will be something to discuss with Aden, of course.

[Dominik] You're not being much fun today... I was hoping to get a rise out of you.

[Zivia] I'm on good behaviour :p

[Zivia] wouldn't want to cause any *more* of a scene.

  • Zivia says, pouting a bit.

[Dominik] what could you possibly do that anyone would remember after that.

[Zivia] You'd be surprised.

[Dominik] I must admit I do feel bad for Guillame

[Zivia] Yes... he's a nice fellow, he doesn't deserve this sort of thing. I expected I might hate him, but it's fairly impossible.

  • Dominik nods in agreement
  • Zivia sighs.

[Zivia] THere won't even be any dancing at this...

[Dominik] It was good talking to you, but I should mingle some more. Maybe I should see about inviting you and Aden out with myself and Fredericia sometime.

[Zivia] Yes, that would be lovely.

[Dominik] When next I escape Marl.

  • Zivia chuckles.

[Zivia] Oh, have you seen Theron lately?

[Dominik] No... is he doing any better?

[Zivia] I don't know - I haven't seen him.

  • Dominik frowns

[Zivia] He's been spending all his time with his little whore friend.

[Zivia] Doesn't come home at all anymore.

[Dominik] I'll look into it. I assume you know about his little hide-out.

[Zivia] Of course. I don't *go* there, though, ugh.

[Zivia] Mother's worried about him, though. So if you could... it woud be appreciated.

[Dominik] Leave it to the inappropriate brother to go where others wont.

[Zivia] Well, you do it so well.

[Dominik] We all play our parts, you play yours so well too, from what I've heard whispered.

  • Zivia just smiles at that.

[Zivia] Cheers, Dom - I think I'll go see how Aden's doing now.

  • Dominik smiles and with that he'll slip away
  • Zivia drifts off as well

[Alma] (If RF Velten is here I'll pay my respects, but I don't have anything specific to talk about.)

[DiablotinNarrator] (he is, that's fine)


Ilphere, Sanadhil, Seth, Dominik and dates

  • Ilphere smiles at Sanadhil and his date...

[Ilphere] hello Sanadhil... and Mlle. Baru, how nice to see you again...!

[Sanadhil] Always nice to see your highnesses together.

[Sanadhil] I trust you are both well?

[Ilphere] Oh yes, quite... :)

[Ilphere] Although rather disgusted at that display earlier...!

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I'm sure it will be forgotten soon enough - but yes, how juvenile.

  • Ilphere nods...

[Sanadhil] Still, I was half expecting something worse.

[Sanadhil] all things considered.

  • Seth comes over, a glass of wine in hand.

[Sanadhil] Good day, M. Argo.

[Seth] Good evening.

[Seth] I must say what a disturbing display that was at the temple earlier. I wonder if anyone is investigating the matter.

[Sanadhil] I'm not sure there is much left to investigate

[Sanadhil] 'the reverand Farther is likely correct in his assessment of the spell - there was no real residual magic, just as one might expect with a low-level spell

  • Ilphere nods... "I could not detect anything either."

[Sanadhil] though... it does put me in mind of the tactics used at the recent Levellers riot.

[Seth] I would have thought that one could determine roughly when the spell was cast, and potentially determine who would have had access.

[Sanadhil] acess, perhaps

[Sanadhil] but there would have been so many people about, setting things up for the ceremony, that it woudl be difficult to narow down, I expect.

[Ilphere] It can be cast to operate on a trigger, so yes... it would be extremely difficult to determine when it was cast...

[Seth] How disturbing.

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Menard is sort of half-listening to the talk of spells etc.

[Sanadhil] if it is the same person, they've been quite ingenious

[Sanadhil] and in both cases it seems to have been tied directly to the Duke.

[Sanadhil] well, if it can be investigated.... this is probably not the best time, in any case.

[Ilphere] Indeed...

  • Sanadhil smiles
  • Dominik will wander over to his cousin and Sanadhil
  • Sanadhil makes a mental note to talk to Guillame about it later

[Dominik] Hello cousin, Sanadhil, I hope I'm not interupting any deep discussions.

[Sanadhil] Good day, M. Rademacher...

[Sanadhil] (menard is also here, and seth... I think ;)

[Dozilva] (and 'Zilvia' :)

  • Dominik acknowledge the other that are there

[Sanadhil] No deep discussions today, however.

  • Dominik nods

[Menard] It's good to see you, M. Rademacher. Are you settling in well at the palace?

[Dominik] A tragic event for Guillame's wedding ceremony... what exactly is a "magic mouth"

[Ilphere] A spell that, well... it does what you saw. It is a sort of magical ventriloquism that can be set to be triggered by particular conditions.

[Menard] Like the words "does anyone have any objections"?

  • Sanadhil nods to Ilphere

[Ilphere] Exactly...!

  • Ilphere nods to Menard.

[Dominik] and how long can such a trap be set ahead of time?

[Sanadhil] until the conditions are met, or it is dispelled.

[Dozilva] Do they use those words in all the weddings?

  • Dominik nods
  • Dozilva asks curiously.\
  • Sanadhil nods to her.

[Dominik] It is common

[Dozilva] Then it would have to have been cast after the last time there was a wedding.... how frequent are they at this place?

[Sanadhil] I'm not certian, but it should be easy enough to find out

[Seth] I wonder why they chose the Greysmoke. We could ask them about that, at least.

[Sanadhil] I thought it might have to you with the discovery you made, but it could be worth confirming.

[Dominik] its not that simple as finding out when the last wedding was... there would have been checks done before the ceremony, especially considering recent events.

  • Menard nods.

[Sanadhil] That is also something we can ask about, then - it would again narrow the time frame

[Menard] THat's true - I think especially as, uh, so many important people would be there, someone would surely have checked...

[Seth] Of course, this may not be desirable - they may wish to simply forget about it.

  • Sanadhil smiles.

[Sanadhil] (at menard's comment)

[Dominik] My gut says it was someone in attendance who did it.

[Sanadhil] Did anyone notice who made the comment about the statues?

[Sanadhil] I was concentraing on checking for residual magic at the time.

  • Menard shakes his head.

[Seth] Perhaps it's someone who's still here - if I were a mischief maker I'd want to stick around and witness the gossip afterwards.

[Menard] It could have been much worse. No one was harmed, at least.

[Sanadhil] indeed.... though I'm not certain it has cause as much of a stir as was intended...

  • Sanadhil glances around the room at the guests however, as though he might be able to catch someone looking too smug and shifty

[Ilphere] (SM THE WORLD)

[Dozilva] (the world is lying to you)

[Sanadhil] (nooooooo! ;_;)

[Ilphere] (I KNEW IT(

[Seth] Of course, there is another angle to this ...

  • Seth says quietly, looking around to see who might be eavesdropping

[Seth] If the accusations are true, then we determine who could have known them to be true.

[Menard] *Are* they true?

[Seth] I have no idea.

[Sanadhil] No, indeed.

[Menard] I just assumed it was slander...

  • Dominik says nothing
  • Sanadhil nods to seth

[Seth] They are rather specific.

[Sanadhil] they woudl have to be, to produce any effect.

[Seth] Of course.

[Dominik] Ilphere may I steal you away from these rumors for a moment?

[Seth] This is a lot of trouble to go to just to be deviously mischievous and cause a wave of shock for a few moments. Especially because the perpetrator must have known that this would not actually disrupt the wedding.

[Seth] Those are not legal grounds not to get married.

[Sanadhil] indeed

[Ilphere] Hm? Oh, of course...

[Ilphere] Excuse me for a moment everyone... :)

[Dominik] Thank you...

  • Sanadhil glances at Dom and Ilphere and nods to them as they slip off

[Ilphere] (main channel ?)

[Sanadhil] :[to Ilphere] I hope you'll let me know if it is anything interesting :)

[Seth] I would think that at the very least, the perpetrator believes them to be true and hopes to use the dissemination of this information for some greater purpose, such as discrediting M. Olivier, for instance.

[Ilphere] :of course... :V :

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I was wondering as much - whether this might be part of some larger scheme

[Sanadhil] It is likely wirth talking to the couple about but I woudl rather let them have some peace of mind this evening

[Menard] Indeed - who wants to bring it up again at this stage, anyhow?

  • Seth slides over towards Menard.

[Sanadhil] Precisely.

[Seth] [q] When you have a moment, could we speak?

[Menard] Hm? Oh, of course. I was just thinking of going to get a drink in any case.

[Menard] I hope you all enjoy the rest of the evening.

  • Menard says politely, then wanders off, permitting Seth to follow him.
  • Seth follows along

[Sanadhil] Good day then, gentlemen.

  • Sanadhil will take D off to chat with some other random people, possibly Bessa!


Dominik and Ilphere

  • Dominik slips away from the group with Ilphere

[Ilphere] What is it...?

[Dominik] Theron is being reclusive. My family is worried about him.

[Ilphere] AH, I see... :/

[Dominik] I have no issue in barging into his buisiness, but if his dreams are troubling him worse, there is little I can do for him.

[Ilphere] You think that I might be able to help him...?

[Dominik] If someone can, it seems likely that it would be you.

[Ilphere] I would certainly be willing to try... I feel badly that he suffers so. :/

[Dominik] I'm going to try and bring him to you, unless you would be willing to join me in visiting his appartment.

[Ilphere] whichever you think would be easier...

[Dominik] It's hard to say either way... it may be best to ambush him.

  • Ilphere nods...

[Dominik] He's a mean bastard that deserves to suffer, but not like this.

[Ilphere] He may not wish to leave his home... forcing him could be counterproductive.

[Dominik] I'll send you a message when I can arrange the time to intervene

[Ilphere] Very well...

[Ilphere] I hope I will be able to help...!

[Dominik] Thank you

[Dominik] I should introduce you to Fredericia... she's mingling on her own.

[Ilphere] Oh, certainly... :)

  • Fredericia will gladly come over to be properly introduced.
  • Dominik makes the formal introductions

[Dominik] (although I suspect they have met casually all being wolf nobility)

  • Ilphere is happy enough to make small talkish chat...

[Ilphere] (yeah probably)

[Fredericia] (yes, probably related somehow ;)

[Fredericia] (actually wasn't she one of your bridesmaids? I forget ^-^)

[Sanadhil] (I think so, yes)

[Dominik] (oh crap)

[Fredericia] (man, you're all related - you can't screw another house wolf noble without findiing out she's your third cousin ;)

[Dominik] (ah the tangled noble web of House Wolf)

[Dominik] (besides third cousins is probably socially acceptable amongst the nobility)

[Fredericia] (hell, first cousins is acceptable ;)

[Dominik] (see, nothin stopin that Fredericia, Ilphere, Menard, Dominik foursome then!)

[Fredericia] (ahahah)

[Ilphere] (except me throwing up in my mouth)

[Dominik] (haha)

  • Dominik subtly looks for Ysabeau and Martin while we small talk


Seth and Menard

[Menard] What is it, Seth?

  • Menard asks once you're a little ways off from the group.

[Seth] I just wanted to talk to you.

[Menard] Oh... all right.

  • Menard seems a little awkward, but smiles.

[Seth] Is something wrong?

[Menard] No, it's just... you know.

  • Menard shrugs.

[Seth] Are you worried that Ilphere will be upset with me for talking to you?

[Menard] ..maaybe.

[Menard] She's still not forgiven you, not really.

[Seth] Well look at it this way, at least I didn't cast a magic mouth on your wedding ceremony.

[Menard] ...thanks for that?

  • Seth laughs.

[Seth] No problem.

  • Menard chuckles too.

[Seth] So I have a question for you. How well do you know the Chancellor?

[Menard] Hm? Not really well. I mean, I know her to say hello, but we don't chat or anything.

[Menard] Why do you ask?

[Seth] Ahh, well, it's sort of complicated, but I was hoping to speak to her.

[Seth] She does know me, at least by name, but I didn't know how complex that would be to arrange.

[Menard] Well, that wouldn't be a problem, I don't think. I mean, she's just over there, I could introduce you.

[Seth] Not here - I mean, privately.

[Menard] Oh. Well, I suppose it could be arranged. What did you want to talk to her about?

[Seth] Ahh ... it's really best if I don't talk about it here.

[Seth] I could tell you in private, another time, though.

[Menard] Well, sure.

[Menard] You know where to find me :)

  • Menard gets himself a drink.
  • Seth will get one too.


Sanadhil and Bessa

  • Sanadhil will try to catch Bessa, since she is here.
  • Bessa smiles when she sees you.

[Bessa] Good to see you, M. Orecalo :)

[Sanadhil] Good day, Mlle. De Champ.

  • Sanadhil smiles politely in return.

[Sanadhil] I trust you are well?

[Bessa] Quite well, thank you. And yourself? Keeping busy with your research, I assume :)

[Sanadhil] quite, yes!

[Sanadhil] I had wanted to ask you, on that matter, if you had an opportunity to look for any of your grandfather's notes?

[Bessa] Oh.. yes, I had.

[Sanadhil] did you have any luck?

[Bessa] Most of them, as I sort of suspected, are with Chancellor Storms, who was his apprentice. I believe he keeps them in his office at the Castalia.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Ahh, very well.

[Sanadhil] I wasn't certain if he might have decided to keep anything back, but I can certainly speak to the Chancellor.

  • Bessa nods.

[Bessa] Sorry I couldn't be more help...

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] Its fine, thank you.

[Sanadhil] I've certainly had enough to keep occupied with regardless!

[Bessa] That's good to hear.

[Sanadhil] have you had any advances yourself?

[Bessa] Perhaps... but I would prefer not to bore you at such a pleasant party :) Perhaps another time?

[Sanadhil] of course - I will look forward to it.

  • Sanadhil smiles


The Wedding Party ends

  • Portia will leave with Guillame at some point, and the rather subdued party breaks up soon after.
  • Portia lets Guy sleep in her room, but no touching :p


Alma, Ysabeau and Martan

  • Alma will look for Ysabeau at a positively respectable time to begin winding down the party.
  • Ysabeau and Martan aren't preoccupied with anyone, and can be pulled away.

[Ysabeau] (We're in the Grand, aren't we?)

[Martan] (yes)

[Alma] Danyel and I were thinking of taking our leave...

[Ysabeau] Things do seem to be winding down, don't they?

[Ysabeau] I was thinking - your houses are actually closer than mine.

[Alma] You'd be welcome at mine... if that would be alright?

[Martan] It's fine with me, thank you.

[Ysabeau] Very well.

  • Alma invites you to ride with her, then.
  • Ysabeau and Martan follow you to your house in their own carriage.
  • Alma gets you both settled in to a tea room and has Marielle serve tea. Danyel is off reading.
  • Alma pulls out her ever-growing notes on ... the associated dramas of the Antiquarian Society.

[Ysabeau] Right then... where to start?

[Alma] Yes, exactly...

[Alma] Would you like me to read what Corwen Storms found in the notes of Loch du Champe?

  • Ysabeau takes Martan's hand, raises a questioning eyebrow. She is really trying to give him control over the situation.

[Martan] Please, go ahed.

[Alma] "When a woman fathers a child, ...

[Alma] and her daughter to Greywatch is kin

[Alma] when the starlight returns to its first form,

[Alma] as the serpent at last sheds its skin

[Alma] then the mother of mercy seeks vengeance,

[Alma] and the wheel shall soon cease to spin."

[Martan] ...

  • Ysabeau probably can't hide her surprise.
  • Martan looks surprised as well.

[Ysabeau] That's... eerie.

[Alma] Now, that's ...

[Alma] What is? It seems fairly ... similar to others we've had.

[Ysabeau] I cast Legend Lore on him the other day, Sister. That's what I got, as well.

[Alma] Oh?

[Alma] :o

[Ysabeau] Word for word.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] Well, I suppose that's... not completely odd?

[Alma] This one was in the notes of Loch du Champe from 2221.

[Alma] I surmised it was a Legend Lore as well.

[Martan] So if the spell was cast on me when I was small, it would have said the same thing?

[Alma] Perhaps your ... import has not changed since then, so the result is the same?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] (That seems reasonable to me? Any other potentials? :P)

[Ysabeau] It seems the most plausible explanation.

[Martan] (seems most likely explanation to you)

[Alma] Now, du Champe had some suggestions for the meaning, but knowing a bit more, I see more ambiguity...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] The woman who fathers a child would likely be Empress Tristane...

[Ysabeau] That's one possible interpretation we had thought of, as well. Go on, Sister.

[Alma] So that child may be Theonée Deverara.

[Alma] But is the daughter in the next part referring to Theonée, or the daughter of Theonée, which would be ... Hespera.

  • Alma looks at the two of you sitting close across from her.
  • Alma blinks

[Ysabeau] Indeed.

  • Martan nods.

[Alma] Ah... this may seem a little forward...

[Alma] Are you two ... seeing one another?

[Martan] Yes, we are.

[Ysabeau] We are.

  • Martan says with a smile to Ysabeau.
  • Ysabeau says at the same time, smiling back at him.
  • Ysabeau turns quickly back to Alma, though.

[Alma] ... you're from Greywatch, aren't you, Ysabeau?

  • Alma asks rhetorically.

[Alma] .oO( Now that is eerie. )

[Ysabeau] I'm from Greywatch, but not related to the nobles there, so far as I know. I'm completely House Owl, always have been.

[Ysabeau] We have also thought of the other possible interpretation of a woman fathering a child, Sister.

  • Alma nods.
  • Ysabeau clears her throat.

[Alma] Well, I wouldn't normally presume to comment on such things, but... if that is what is meant...

[Ysabeau] We're being careful.

  • Alma looks down at her notes.

[Alma] The odd thing about this reading is ... if the second line is to refer to the freeing of Rat and the return of its constellation, and the freeing of the Serpent from the Arch, then it is out of order.

[Alma] Do you recall the oracle that Seth overheard, Ysabeau?

[Ysabeau] Yes; he knows it, too.

  • Ysabeau glances at Martan.

[Ysabeau] That also has not escaped our thoughts.

[Alma] I was thinking primarily of the line "...but she bears the light of the stars within her."

  • Martan nods.
  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] Which I suppose suggests that the event might be your return to a female form.

  • Ysabeau squeezes Martan's hand gently, glancing at him with affection and support.
  • Martan breathes deeply, but nods.

[Ysabeau] It's certainly a possibility, Sister. But it might also refer to some other sort of transformation.

[Alma] (Julie, would there be any ... metaphysical justification for dismissing the idea of Martan being the "woman who fathers" based on the fact that he's not actually a woman... or is that ambiguity known to be fair game for divinations even when other divinations don't pick it up?)

[Martan] (you could discuss it, at least - I mean, divinations are usually ambiguous somehow)

[Ysabeau] That's the trouble with these things, isn't it?

  • Alma nods

[Alma] Well. Du Champe thought that perhaps the "mother of mercy" was Matriarch Pasith Belden, and that I think is perhaps why he and the others made the effort to hide your birth from her...

[Ysabeau] It is possible.

  • Martan nods...

[Ysabeau] But that might also refer to... the good power that balances the Serpent.

[Ysabeau] I think if you asked Sanadhil and Ilphere, that might be their interpretation.

[Alma] I find it a bit of a contradiction that the mother of mercy would seek vengeance...

[Ysabeau] Well, if vengeance is actually Kavreshar, her counterpart, then she might well seek him out.

[Alma] Oh! I hadn't thought of that.

[Alma] Yes, excellent...

  • Ysabeau spares another glance and smile for Martan. How's he doing?
  • Martan is just listening, trying to take it in.

[Ysabeau] Did du Champe have any suggestions for "as the serpent at last sheds its skin," other than the most literal one?

[Ysabeau] I'm afraid I haven't got too many ideas about that phrase.

[Alma] No, at the time the most plausible explanation seems to have been the moving of the Arch.

[Alma] However if the Serpent is in a state of dysfunction, perhaps simply fixing that would be considered the shedding of old skin

[Ysabeau] Possibly.

[Martan] Sister... do you think that these sorts of things are... changeable? I mean, is this going to happen regardless of what we do?

[Alma] I'm certainly proceeding under the assumption that it is.

[Alma] But considering it ... philosophically?

[Alma] Perhaps if this was an omen from the Gods, and the Gods were in unison, it might prove too much for one mortal, or perhaps even an entire Empire to change.

[Alma] Even then, that's assuming the Gods wouldn't allow the possibility of change.

[Alma] This may be different. The Seven and the Serpent are in conflict.

  • Martan nods.

[Alma] Does this prophecy come from one, or the other? From somewhere even higher perhaps?

[Alma] I think we should address this like we address anything in life... with a spirit of hope, and faith that the Seven will provide us the tools to safeguard those we love.

  • Alma seems a little ... committed as she goes on.

[Martan] I hope that's so.

  • Martan sounds uncertain, though.

[Ysabeau] I feel the same, my dear.

[Alma] I'm certainly not going to sit around while the wheel stops turning unless the Seven want it to be so :)

[Alma] Ysabeau's mentioned the Order has she?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] And Lord Grey has, too.

[Ysabeau] We still need to see him about this Legend Lore... we were thinking he might have some other leads.

[Alma] The first oracle implied that Theonée was the one they need, but this new Legend Lore has the potential to imply they may want something from you... so I would be careful.

[Ysabeau] Sister, do you think Communing with Owl might... shed some light on what it means? At least, the part about the wheel no longer spinning.

[Alma] Perhaps. The questions would have to be carefully crafted. I never seem to do it quite right... (she says ruefully)

[Alma] I will think on it.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] Well, I suppose we've had a long evening. I would be happy to have copies made of all my notes on this topic for you Mr. Olivier, so that at least you have as much information as you can.

[Martan] Thank you, Sister, I appreciate your help.

[Ysabeau] Would it be useful for you to use your ability on something of mine, in case it suggests a stronger tie to Greywatch than having been born there?

[Ysabeau] Would something of Martan's, if he's willing, still be of any use?

[Alma] I think that might actually be enough to be considered "kin of Greywatch". The stars may not care about our noble titles...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] If you'd like to leave something of yours Mr. Olivier, I could see what I can learn from it tomorrow. I'm afraid I wore myself out treating it like a party trick this evening.

[Martan] That would be fine - would a handkerchief do?

[Alma] Certainly, anything you consider a possession of yours.

  • Martan will hand one over, then.
  • Alma will set it with her notes and chat a little more casually until they go.
  • Ysabeau and Martan will probably head out before too long. :)


Tomb Raiders

[DiablotinNarrator] A few days after Guillame and Portia's wedding, you receive your official permission from the Patriarch to investigate the tomb of Patriarch Thaleus Rademacher.

[DiablotinNarrator] You can gather your group and your tools together and wait for a non-rainy day to pay a visit to the Saltgrove.

[Alma] (Does it say anything that implies I should be protecting items in the Church's interest, or would it be Society stuff?)

  • Ilphere will have described the vessel she saw in her dream in detail to Sanadhil... although of course it may not look anything like that.

[DiablotinNarrator] (is everyone invited? I forget what the final decision was. If you wanted to invite someone and didn't get to talk to them, you have some days to do that off-screen :)

  • Sanadhil has a crowbar and a bag of holding, what else might I need? :V

[Sanadhil] (no, everyone is invited from the main gang, also bessa if she wanted?)

[Alma] (I bring my boy.)

[DiablotinNarrator] (ok, main gang + Bessa and Danyel)

[Guillame] (kk)

[DiablotinNarrator] The Saltgrove, which lies outside the city to the east - though certainly much closer now than when it was first established - is south of the river, in a lightly-wooded and somewhat marshy area.

[DiablotinNarrator] Between the Saltgrove and the outskirts of the city, you pass through numerous saltworks, which gather or even pump out the briny water that comes up from below ground in this area and evaporate it on large trays to provide salt for the city.

  • Seth is decidedly uncomfortable-looking and pale.

[DiablotinNarrator] You make your way into the quiet shade of the Saltgrove, with its tombs dating back over two thousand years. Some of the more recent ones are quite elaborate, above-ground mausoleums that border on shrines, but older ones are carved sarcophagi, or even simply slabs of stone that top burial mounds.

  • Sanadhil will dress appropriately - travel-elf with good boots

[Alma] Is there anything I can do to help, Mr. Argo?

[DiablotinNarrator] (Alma - it basically says that anything found should be treated with respect, and the Church reserves the right to take any of it into their possession.)

[Seth] I'm afraid not, Sister - my discomfort relates to being outside the proximity of the city.

[DiablotinNarrator] (also any remains should be reburied, with proper dignity)

[Alma] (Coo')

[DiablotinNarrator] You are able to locate Thaleus's grave without too much difficulty - it is one of the oldest ones there, of course, the carvings very worn from the elements.

[DiablotinNarrator] The symbol of the wheel, supposedly the first one to have been marked on one of these monuments, is visible, but barely so - more like a circle these days.

  • Seth will pull out his pad and sketch, mostly to keep himself distracted.
  • Sanadhil makes some quick sketches and notes before we start the actual breaking in
  • Guillame brings a lantern up close to it, to see if any details remain

[Alma] Yes, I recall our trip to Kholm... I thought perhaps you'd learned of something htat might help.

  • Alma smiles supportively

[DiablotinNarrator] Guillame - very, very faintly, you can see the hub at the centre, and hints of where the spokes once might have been.

  • Guillame takes a sketch too, for posterity

[Sanadhil] Are we ready?

  • Ilphere nods eagerly...!
  • Alma will look as well

[Alma] (7 spokes?)

[Sanadhil] Do we have any reason to suspect it might be trapped, to deter incursion?

[Alma] (If we can make them out)

[DiablotinNarrator] (Alma - six, you think...)

[DiablotinNarrator] (but it's really really faint and questionable)

[Alma] Seth, can you tell if this has been re-carved?

[Alma] Just... curious.

  • Seth inspects it closely.

[Seth] (what roll? search?)

[DiablotinNarrator] sure

[Alma] I suppose we can look at the outside anytime... silly me.

[Seth] (36)

[Alma] I don't imagine the outside would be trapped, but inside perhaps?

[DiablotinNarrator] Seth - your professional opinion is that there were six.

  • Ysabeau looks around the area as the cluster works on the tombstone.

[Seth] Only six. No sign of any alterations or re-carving.

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Alma nods

[Sanadhil] Very well...

  • Sanadhil will see if Knock is sufficient to open the tomb, once we're all ready

[Alma] You can't step through the stone anymore, can you Mr. Argo?

[Seth] No, not outside the city.

[Sanadhil] (and by see, I mean, cast it :x)

  • Alma nods, realising perhaps she should drop that -_-
  • Ysabeau smiles at Dominik, who is probably looking bored but bristling with weapons.
  • Dominik notices Ysabeau smiling, seems to flush a little bit and looks away, trying to focus on being on guard.

[DiablotinNarrator] San, you can cast knock, and the stone slab will (grudgingly) slide aside - pushing lots of dirt and grass and stuff with it as it goes, no doubt.

  • Sanadhil smiles in satisfaction
  • Alma nods appreciatively.
  • Sanadhil will then cast arcane sight
  • Ilphere peers inside...!
  • Ysabeau doesn't push Dom; he's a bit like a wild creature. If he wants to talk to her, she'll leave that decision with him.
  • Alma will alternately look for living creatures and undead, spirits and the invisible.
  • Alma directs Danyel to keep his eye out for her since she'll be a little distracted.
  • Sanadhil looks to Guillame
  • Guillame will check for nasty surprises

[DiablotinNarrator] The burial chamber below is simple - rocks laid into the sides of the grave to sort of keep it grave-shaped. Not really a tomb per se, but a rock-lined hole in the ground. It seems to go down a very long way...

[Alma] (I ignore corpses for the time being :P)

[Sanadhil] Thank you, your grace...

  • Sanadhil says as Guyl gets to it before he has a chance to ask
  • Sanadhil will follow a little ways behind him so that he can spot any magic that might pop up in the next 10 min or so

[Alma] (I don't think you can really follow? Is it just sortof a pit?)

[DiablotinNarrator] Guy, you can make a Search.

[DiablotinNarrator] It is a hole of about say 4x6, going straight down.

[Sanadhil] (oh, my bad :x Wewll I can see pretty far down the hole, anyway ;)

[Alma] Hmm.

[Alma] How deep does it seem?

  • Guillame rolls 1d20+16: (5)+ 16 = 21

[Ilphere] (Can I see to the bottom with darkvision?)

[Sanadhil] I have a spell I can cast on some to alow us to climb down more easily...

[Guillame] (Also darkvision)

  • Ysabeau starts singing to Inspire Competence while people are doing their scouting.

[DiablotinNarrator] Guy, you can see that at some point the stones along the wall stop, at about where there's a thick layer of rock-salt, and beyond that it seems to open up into a bigger chamber below. Possibly the floor of the grave has collapsed into a cavern or something of that sort over the centuries.

[Alma] I also have a few ideas...

[Ysabeau] (+2 to all your rolls, Guillame.)

  • Guillame communicates that to the others

[DiablotinNarrator] Those of you with darkvision can see much the same - it opens up about, say, eight or ten feet down, into a much larger chamber.

[Guillame] Maybe a cave-in?

[Sanadhil] (how about low light? ;)

[Seth] If we had some light, I could tell quite readily.

  • Seth says, possibly tinged with a hint of nausea and annoyance.

[Ilphere] There's a larger chamber about ten feet down...

[Ilphere] Yes, it looks like the original floor might have caved in...

  • Ilphere nods to Guillame.

[Alma] Hm.

  • Sanadhil eyes Ilphere

[Alma] I suppose we could just drop a Light-lit pebble down, if we aren't concerned about ... surprises.

[Ysabeau] I have sunrods.

[Dominik] we'd be the ones being surprised anyway

  • Ysabeau tosses one over to those by the pit.

[Alma] That's what I meant, we might forewarn anything below.

[Alma] Though, I don't think I sense anything.

  • Alma looks down and walks around the pit
  • Sanadhil looks to guy

[Sanadhil] Would you like to try climbing down?

[DiablotinNarrator] Alma - not within range, anyway.

  • Seth looks around to see what has happened here, and whether there is any danger of further cave-ins.

[Ilphere] Yes, I think so..!

  • Sanadhil will cast spider climb on him

[Guillame] I can probably make that, yes... a rope would be appreciated though, in case.

[Sanadhil] you'll be able to climb easily in the walls, and even the cavern ceiling, though you'll need your hadns free to do so

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Sanadhil can probably pull one out of his bag of holiding :)
  • Guillame climbs down, once the rope is secured

[Sanadhil] (if no one else has one, i'm supposed to be in change here anyway, right] :V)

[DiablotinNarrator] You can either hold onto the rope, or secure it to a nearby tree.

  • Seth sends Nell down ahead of him.

[DiablotinNarrator] Anyone got Rope Use? ;)

  • Alma ALSO checks for evil.
  • Seth will tie the rope off.

[Seth] (yes!)

[DiablotinNarrator] (ok then :)

[DiablotinNarrator] All right, so Guillame is going down the hole, with Spider Climb + rope in case of emergency?

[Ysabeau] (He can take my sunrod with him; eventually us non-nightvision types will be in the hole.)

[Sanadhil] Mr rademacher - would you care to asecnd as well, just in case of surprises?

[Guillame] (Yup, I guess so - forgot that climb is STR, not dex, but spider climb should make it pretty easy)

  • Dominik nods

[Alma] You know... we might have to do this in another tomb as well...

[Alma] Perhaps I ought to just cast Wind Walk

[Alma] That's ... five of us.

[Dominik] I can climb thanks

[Alma] For... half a day.

  • Dominik will climb down using the rope after Guillame has descended
  • Sanadhil nods

[DiablotinNarrator] Ok, roll Climb, Dom.

[Dominik] (30)

[Alma] Who ever'd like the benefit come step over here.

[DiablotinNarrator] Yeah, you're fine.

  • Ysabeau moves closer to Alma

[Sanadhil] that does seem eficient, thank you countess

[Ysabeau] Yes, thanks. :)

  • Ilphere will accept the spell...

[DiablotinNarrator] You descend about another 20 feet past the bottom of the grave, and find yourselves in a natural cavern.

  • Sanadhil will see if the spaces fill up, and if not, will claijm one :3

[DiablotinNarrator] The walls and ceiling of the cavern are coated in - or perhaps entirely made of - salt. Water drips throughout, and there is a large body of water covering much of the floor of the chamber - fortunately, here, it's quite shallow, only about a foot deep.

  • Danyel can climb down as well.
  • Guillame will check for traps again just in case, before descending to the bottom and loosing the rope
  • Dominik scans around sword and and shield drawn once he has footing
  • Alma casts it upon Danyel, Ysabeau, Ilphere and Sanadhil unless Bessa jumps in before the half-elf.

[Alma] (And herself)

  • Bessa will wait upside in case you all die :)

[Alma] (Haha)

[Bessa] Good luck - yell if anything happens!

[Alma] Now you can just will yourself back into a solid state in short time when you need to.

  • Alma floats down after the boys.

[Sanadhil] I'm sure there will be plenty of yelling....

[Ysabeau] It's really quite pretty, isn't it?

[DiablotinNarrator] Your lights glint off the salt crystals, making them sparkle in the darkness.

  • Ysabeau says of what she can see i the dim light filtering in from above.

[Ysabeau] Almost like diamonds.

  • Sanadhil floats down and tries to keep his mind focsed on task at hand and not panic

[Sanadhil] ...

  • Sanadhil takes a deep breath and will look around not at the ceiling

[Ysabeau] Lovely.

  • Ysabeau turns in place to admire all the crystals.

[Sanadhil] ((I'm not sure if the arcane sight woudl still be going, but if not I cna recast it, lemme know if you want a concentration check ;p)

[DiablotinNarrator] You can recast, yeah, and I think a concentration check is in order due to oncoming panic attack ;)

  • Ilphere will will cast Detect Magic as she touches down.

[Sanadhil] (26)

[Ysabeau] I have three more Sunrods, if we need them.

  • Sanadhil closes his eyes as he casts the spell again.

[DiablotinNarrator] (that's fine, you can cast it)

[Alma] Oh, no, save your Sunrods

  • Alma wills herself solid again.
  • Alma finds a pebble and casts Light on it
  • Sanadhil opens them again and they are glowing a soft magic-y blue

[Ysabeau] (There's 4 sunrods all told, let me know if we use any of them, please.)

[Sanadhil] Anything form the grave shouo bhave fallen directly through, unless there is anything here that may have scattered or disturbed it

  • Sanadhil says, somewhat curtly

[Alma] (A reminder that in order to go back and forth to and from mist form takes time.)

[Alma] (5 rounds)

[Ilphere] (can we not cast as mist?)

[Ilphere] (that's only like 30 seconds)

[DiablotinNarrator] There is no obvious sign of grave debris right underneath, San (and others) - possibly the water has moved things about.

[Alma] (Yeah, you can. I suppose all us casters might be better off staying mist :P)

  • Ilphere will keep her concentration up and begin to search around...
  • Sanadhil looks around also, but seems a little anxious, perhaps

[DiablotinNarrator] San, you do spot something radiating magic further away in the cavern.

[Alma] (You -cannot- cast in gaseous form)

  • Alma checks for life/unlife/corpses
  • Ysabeau stops her mist form and gets down to business.
  • Sanadhil will head towards it then (and will have resolidifies prior to casting, apparently)

[Ilphere] (OK then I will de-gas before casting)

  • Guillame looks for interesting things, signs of why the cavern caved in, how long it's been here.
  • Ysabeau looks around for anything out of place.
  • Sanadhil looks around for additiona terrifying things, other than the cavern itself

[Sanadhil] (as he approaches the magic thiiing)

[DiablotinNarrator] Guillame - your best guess is that this area was once filled with water. As the water level has lowered, for whatever reason, the cavern has formed.

  • Ilphere will stick close to San as he approaches the magic thing, keeping an eye out for other things of interest as well.
  • Alma follows Sanadhil and Ilphere, relying on their search as she checks for spirits, evil, etc.

[DiablotinNarrator] The water is deeper in this area, Ilphere and San - you will be wading at least up to your waists, if not deeper, if you proceed.

[Sanadhil] (if she is sticking close and paying attention, she may notice that he is actvely trying to keep his hands, at least, from shaking)

[Ilphere] (I'll keep going for now)

  • Sanadhil will cast freedom of movement

[Alma] :/

[Guillame] (Is this cavern isolated, or is/are there (a) tunnel(s)?)

[Alma] Perhaps I ought to check to see if there's anything in the water.

  • Alma checks for life/unlife again @_@
  • Ysabeau tries to make herself useful.

[DiablotinNarrator] (does that detect totally dead things too?)

[Alma] (Yes, as long as you still consider it a creature.)

[DiablotinNarrator] You can detect that there is something dead up ahead, then, Alma.

  • Sanadhil will cast FoM on Ilphere too, once he gets back up with her

[Alma] There's a body ahead, but nothing alive or undead...

[Alma] Perhaps it's the Patriarch.

[Sanadhil] Good.

[DiablotinNarrator] Guillame, you think there may be tunnels leading off, yes.

[DiablotinNarrator] You can't be sure how far they go.

  • Guillame takes a look down each, and sniffs the air coming from them

[DiablotinNarrator] Scent check :)

  • Sanadhil will stop if the water is really more than his frail frame and panic can handle even with the spell (if it is much more than waist high, say)

[DiablotinNarrator] Waist deep is about as bad as it gets, San.

[Alma] .oO( Oh, I suppose I could maybe get rid of this water? )

[Alma] .oO( Oh Owl, you make me so useful ^_^ )

[DiablotinNarrator] The magic whatever it is, and the dead whatever it is, are on an outcropping of salt sticking out from the water.

  • Guillame rolls 1d20+5: (12)+ 5 = 17
  • Sanadhil makes his way over, then, to see ;3
  • Ilphere is right there also...!

[DiablotinNarrator] Guy - you think most of them go deeper underground - water has flowed through here in the past, but now the level isn't really high enough to do much except stagnate.

[Guillame] Seems like there could be a whole tunnel network down here - mostly old waterways, though.

[DiablotinNarrator] Ilphere and San, you make your way, dripping, up onto the little island of salt.

  • Alma checks around the island for life/unlife still.

[DiablotinNarrator] You can barely make out the outlines of a skull and some bones, crusted beneath centuries of salt that have built up on them.

[Alma] I suppose I ought to see what the corpse is.

  • Alma climbs up too.
  • Sanadhil drips shakily, looking a little pale and distant b=perhaps, but still angling for the...whatever
  • Ilphere crouches down and tries to focus on the magical item.
  • Sanadhil just nods

[DiablotinNarrator] The magic thing is under layers of salt - you can dig for it.

  • Ilphere takes out her tool kit and will begin carefully excavating.
  • Sanadhil takes a deep breath

[Alma] (Julie, do you think that Control Water would be likely to push artifacts out of the way, or could it be cast in a way that would get rid of the water gently?)

[Ilphere] (it's masterwork :V)

  • Sanadhil stands back and lets her work, as his own spell is likely wearing off and the thought of digging for anything right now is really too much
  • Ysabeau kneels beside Ilphere and offers her assistance with sifting through the debris you pick away at.
  • Sanadhil stands back, dripping wet, his arms crossed over his chest, with sort of a blank look, lokoking kind of through ilphere

[DiablotinNarrator] You can excavate the body and what's around it.. the salt flakes away quite easily beneath your tools, Ilphere.

[Ysabeau] Are you all right, M. Orecalo?

  • Alma tries to determine what species the skeleton belongs to, in case it is not human.
  • Sanadhil smiles curtly and nods.

[Alma] (Heal?)

[Alma] (28 if so)

[DiablotinNarrator] Alma - human, definitel.

[DiablotinNarrator] (+y)

[Ysabeau] (14 for my heal to gauge his health)

[Ysabeau] (San's)

  • Ilphere continues to work on the body and... whatever it is. :3
  • Alma will poke through the detritus looking for mundane artifacts or if nothing else, a scrap of the clothing or wrap the body was buried in

[DiablotinNarrator] You remove enough of the salt to be able to make out more details - the body is lying on top of the remains of something ceramic - a jar or something of that sort, Ilphere?

  • Ysabeau is not going to embarrass Sanadhil by drawing attention to him more than she already has, so she goes back to work helping Ilphere, and will glance at San once in a while to see if he looks better.

[Alma] That's magic, yes?

  • Sanadhil will eventually close his eyes

[DiablotinNarrator] Alma, there are some bits of salt-crusted stuff that might have been cloth?

[Ilphere] It's shattered... I'm not sure if that is the source of the aura.

  • Alma takes some just in case.

[DiablotinNarrator] But they're so old basically when you touch them they crumble.

[Alma] Feh

  • Ilphere attempts to excavate the fragments from underneath the body.

[Alma] (Shouldn't the aura die if the jar shatters Julie?)

[Ilphere] (exactly)

[DiablotinNarrator] Yes, but does anyone even still have a DM going now? it's been a while.

[Ilphere] I forget how long it lasts

[Alma] Sanadhil?

[DiablotinNarrator] 1 min/level.

  • Alma just casts Detect Magic herself

[Ysabeau] Excuse me, Ilphere. I'm getting chilled.

  • Ilphere will re-cast then.

[DiablotinNarrator] The aura is not from the broken pot, but from a ring on the skeleton's hand.

[Sanadhil] hmm?

[Alma] Ah, not the pot at all.

  • Alma focuses on the school

[Ilphere] The ring...

  • Sanadhil 's eyes snap open wth a wild look.
  • Ysabeau goes to rummage through her pack and pulls out a thick warm cloak...
  • Ilphere will continue to try and get the pot shards out for now.

[Ysabeau] M Orecalo?

[Ysabeau] You look like you could use this more than me, actually.

[Alma] (Spellcraft 33 for round 3)

  • Sanadhil looks at her after a moment, but again seems to almost be looking through her

[Sanadhil] What?

[Ysabeau] You look cold. Here.

[Sanadhil] oh.

  • Ysabeau presses her cloak into his hands, and waits for him to put it on.
  • Sanadhil takes it, looking at it blankly for a moment before wrapping it around his shoulders
  • Ysabeau smiles approvingly.

[Ysabeau] The colour suits you. ;)

  • Ysabeau goes back to work with Ilphere... still glancing at San once in a while.
  • Sanadhil forces a smile.

[Sanadhil] Did you find anything?

[Ilphere] Sister Alma is investigating a magical ring.

  • Sanadhil 's voice seems a bit shaky

[Sanadhil] ah.

[Ilphere] Ysabeau and I are attempting to excavate some kind of vessel.

  • Ilphere is concentrating on her work and doesn't look up.

[Ysabeau] Indeed.

  • Dominik watches the girls work, waiting somewhat impatiently

[DiablotinNarrator] (moderate transmutation on the ring, Alma)

[Alma] Transmutation.

  • Alma will remove it from the remains.

[Ilphere] How strong?

  • Danyel can hang out with Dom and watch the other work, secretly hoping maybe they'll get attacked ;)

[Alma] Moderate

  • Ysabeau crouches down and goes back to the serious business of sifting through the debris Ilphere is creating.
  • Alma will put it in some sample container she's brought with us.

[Ilphere] (any idea what it could be, based on that?)

  • Ysabeau rescues a few very fragile fibres and slips them in an envelope. Hopefully it's acid-free, lol.
  • Ilphere pauses for just a moment to consider the ring.
  • Ysabeau carefully labels the envelope. ^-^

[Ilphere] (arcana?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (you can roll)

[Ilphere] (35)

  • Alma gets a container ready for the pottery.

[DiablotinNarrator] (probably something that enhances or provides an ability to the wearer - like blink, evasion, telekinesis, a bonus to some skill, that sort of thing)

[Ilphere] Hm...

[Dominik] [q] so Danyel, how are things at the Order these days... any luck finding the big dragon?

  • Ilphere returns her attention to the broken vessel then.

[Danyel] [q] Heh... not as such, no.

[Dominik] [q] probably spending too much time digging in old salty tombs

[DiablotinNarrator] Those of you working on the pottery, you can manage to pry the bones off the top of it, to get a better look at what's below.

[Ilphere] (OK)

  • Ysabeau is careful, careful, careful with the bones, and very respectful.

[DiablotinNarrator] It too is covered in salt, so if there are designs or anything on the shards you can't see them. But it was clearly a jar of about 12-14 inches in height, with a handle. It's now in about 5 pieces.

[Ilphere] (does it look... familiar to me?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (it is ...reminiscent, yes.)

  • Ilphere will reverently retrieve the pieces... :o

[DiablotinNarrator] Alma - the fabric is too fragile to try and retrieve, but there is a piece of leather that may once have been a belt or something of that sort, which you could get.

  • Alma will set that in with the shards so she can touch it later.

[DiablotinNarrator] All right - you believe you have gotten everything from around the body, at last.

  • Ilphere will not let the vessel out of her sight...

[Alma] (SM 44 on Ilphere and her attention to the shards.)

[Dominik] So we done tomb robbing or is there more we need to look for?

[Alma] Well we don't really know... there's no checklist :)

[Ilphere] (yeah I can't beat that... I am very interested in them but not in a greedy way, more reverential)

[Alma] (Which is strange for you, yes?)

[Sanadhil] (no?)

[Ilphere] (I dunno, you don't know me that well :p)

[Ilphere] (ALma)

[Ysabeau] If this is the Patriarch, do we just leave him like this? He might wash away if the rain keeps up.

[Ysabeau] Maybe he ought to be re-interred?

[Ilphere] They did wish any remains to be reburied...

[Ilphere] But the floor of the tomb is gone...

[Danyel] Perhaps someone could move the earth to reconstruct a floor to the tomb - though it might just fall apart again in a few centuries, I suppose.

[Dominik] Pack the bones up and re-bury them in a new tomb?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] That's a good suggestion, Dom. Do you think the Church would allow it, if they knew the state of this tomb, Sister?

  • Sanadhil remains quiet(ly freaked)

[Alma] I'm not sure which is the best course.

[Alma] Perhaps I could repair the tomb as a temporary measure.

[Alma] And the Church can decide if more is to be done.

[Ilphere] Well, he is not likely to go anywhere in the next few days if we repair it.

[Ilphere] And then they can decide, yes.

[Dominik] Either way, your gonna have to move the bones.

  • Ysabeau nods.
  • Alma nods and will prepare to gather the bones up to be moved.

[DiablotinNarrator] San - you hear something move in the darkness. A splash in the water, you're sure of it...

[Ysabeau] I'll do what I can to package them up.

  • Sanadhil 's head snaps to the side, looking at something

[Sanadhil] what?

  • Ilphere will hang onto whatever the shards are in while Alma gets the bones.

[DiablotinNarrator] You can't see anything there - but that doesn't mean it's not lurking behind a pillar or down a side-tunnel...

  • Ysabeau whirls.

[Ysabeau] M. Orecalo?

[Sanadhil] There's...

[Alma] Something the matter?

[Ilphere] Sanadhil... put this in your bag, for safekeeping...!

  • Seth draws his swords.
  • Ilphere says with urgency as people seem to be arming themselves...
  • Sanadhil 's attention snaps to Ilphere

[Sanadhil] what?

  • Alma checks for life/unlife

[Ilphere] The vessel...!

[Alma] (30')

  • Dominik gets his sword out as well

[Ysabeau] M. Orecalo, there's what?

[DiablotinNarrator] You don't detect anything in range, Alma.

  • Alma will put away her array of little sample bags and prepare herself as well.
  • Alma Detects Evil in 60' in the direction Sanadhil seems to be worried about.

[DiablotinNarrator] No evil there either.

  • Ilphere tries to hold San's gaze and holds the container out to him.

[Alma] Nothing's particularly close at least...

[Danyel] Maybe we should get out now, before anything gets closer, then.

  • Sanadhil si sort of staring blankly at Ilphere for a moment before...something? attracts his attention, and he glances at the pretty cavern ceiling with a look of anxious terror

[Ilphere] Sanadhil...?

[Sanadhil] ..

  • Ilphere looks worried now.

[Alma] It would be easier to begin repairing the tomb from below, I think :/

[Ilphere] I think we should leave...

[Ysabeau] Well, do we all need to be below to repair the tomb, or can we leave enough to do that while some return to the surface?

  • Sanadhil looks back at ilphere, will drop Isabeau's cloak to take what she is holding out, and teleport back to the surface

[Alma] M. Orecalo seems a bit agitat-

[Alma] ed

[Ysabeau] Or do that.

[Ilphere] :o

[Alma] I'm not even sure he saw anything real...

[DiablotinNarrator] (are you going just to outside the tomb, where Bessa is, or further away?)

  • Ysabeau sighs, and bends to pick up her cloak, now sopping wet.

[Ysabeau] Is he going to be all right?

[Alma] Mr. Argo could you suggest where I might place new stone to help shore up the tomb?

[Ilphere] I will see if he is above...

  • Alma explains the Wall of Stone spell

[Sanadhil] 9Outside where bessa is)

  • Ilphere will TP 'upstairs'
  • Bessa is mildly surprised when you appear.

[Seth] (can I? roll, what, profession engineer? knowledge architecture?)

[Bessa] Everything going all right?

[DiablotinNarrator] (sure, whichever is higher)

  • Dominik sighs

[Seth] (28)

[DiablotinNarrator] You can give instructions to Alma on the best ways to reinforce the floor of the tomb, then.

[Ilphere] Sanadhil...?

  • Sanadhil stares at her, soaked from the waist down, shakingm, and clutching the jar remains Ilphere handed him, blinking in the light
  • Bessa helps you to sit down, looking concerned.

[Seth] I believe this will work, although I am no expert in the effects of so much salt on stone over long periods.

  • Alma will cast Wall of Stone once below to support the floor which she'll replace when she casts it above as well.

[Alma] Are we finished?

  • Ilphere sits next to San...
  • Alma checks around for bodies one last time.
  • Guillame tries to work out which of the tunnels points most in the direction of the undercity, from what he can work out of the orientation down here, while people are working/fannying about
  • Sanadhil sits, looking kind of distant

[DiablotinNarrator] Guillame, you think you could do a pretty good map of this chamber once you get out if you wanted.

[DiablotinNarrator] Alma, no further bodies in this area.

  • Guillame will make a mental note to do so

[Ilphere] Do you want to go back to the society...?

[Alma] Short of exploring off into the tunnels, I think this is everything...

  • Sanadhil turns to look at her, and then looks down at the jar fragments in his hands

[Sanadhil] The...other tombs...

  • Ilphere looks to Bessa... [w] This may be the vessel we've been looking for...
  • Bessa nods imperceptibly.

[Dominik] I'm up for exporing or whatever... you're the lead here

[Alma] I think perhaps the other tombs might be more productive. We're aware of what's here, and we could always return, by teleport perhaps.

[Seth] I think that given M. Orecalo's current state, we should not press our luck today.

[Ilphere] Are you sure you're alright to go on to the other ones...? :(

[Alma] Well everyone out? Remember you can just will yourself into mist again, Ysabeau.

[Sanadhil] I'm fine.

[Ysabeau] Yes, thank you, Sister.

[Ilphere] (SM :P)

  • Ysabeau does so.
  • Danyel will begin the climb back up, then.
  • Dominik shrugs and will hand over hand back up the rope

[Ilphere] (23)

[Guillame] (How long does the spider climb last?)

  • Ysabeau floats upwards.

[Alma] Are you sure that's ... safe?

  • Sanadhil is certainly trying to act fine, but hasn't really got the hang of it

[Sanadhil] (~2 hours)

  • Ilphere nods then, but is clearly unconvinced.
  • Alma looks up a little worried at her fiance
  • Guillame will climb out on the walls, then

[Sanadhil] We're already here

  • Alma stands below with a spell on her lips to help in case someone does fall.
  • Danyel can manage :)

[Ilphere] Alright then...

[Ilphere] Put the container in your bag though, please...!

  • Sanadhil nods and will do so
  • Ilphere gives him what she hopes is an encouraging smile...
  • Alma waits for Seth to go up, and then will turn turn to mist and billow up through the hole.
  • Seth will do so
  • Sanadhil looks very pale and young, probably

[Guillame] I wonder if I'd be able to get permission to return and explore those tunnels...

  • Alma will cast her final Wall of Stone to fill in the floor of the Tomb and replace the bones.

[Guillame] Thank you for the climbing help, M. Orecalo

[Alma] I should imagine it might come easier than requesting this particular excavation, as those tunnels are really ... just tunnels.

[Alma] If you could get in again another way, perhaps via teleport.

[Sanadhil] most welcome...

  • Sanadhil says distantly

[DiablotinNarrator] All right - you all make your way safely back up above-ground, and can consider what you'll do next. But the end, for now ...

Solos

Alma and Ysabeau

[Alma] So is this on the way to the society, or on the way from the society to my place?

[Alma] or does it matter?

[Ysabeau] (I figured on the way to the Society, since the Salt Grove is some distance out of town, and therefore, I would need a ride.)

[Ysabeau] (Once in town, I can get a cab to take me home. :) )

[Alma] k

[Ysabeau] (I need to dry off and clean up anyway, so I don't think I'd go to your place! ;) Alma/Ysabeau girl-on-girl bath action? Can't see Alma agreeing.)

  • Alma has suggested that we get out of our wet clothes and let them dry a bit in the sun on our trip back, thus Danyel has politely offered to ride up with the driver ^_^
  • Alma has spare blankets in the carriage.
  • Ysabeau isn't really all that shy about wearing her skivvies in front of you.

[Alma] Well, that's better... though I suppose we ought to take our garments in before we get too far into the city or people will be talking -_-

  • Ysabeau giggles.

[Ysabeau] That would be interesting, I think.

[Alma] Oh, I've still got the ring, if you'd like to see...

[Ysabeau] Oh, please!

  • Alma will hand you the little fabric bag with the salt encrusted ring inside.

[Alma] Moderate transmutation of some sort.

  • Ysabeau carefully undoes the bag and takes out the ring, being careful not to drop it in the bouncing carriage.

[Ysabeau] Hmm

[Alma] I'm sure it will look better all cleaned up :)

  • Ysabeau will scrutinize the ring for any unusual features, and try to remember if there are any stories about Thaleus Rademacher having a ring of any sort.

[Ysabeau] I'll try to remember if there's any legends or stories about rings belonging to the ancient Patriarchs and Matriarchs. Nothing comes to mind immediately.

  • Ysabeau carefully puts the ring back in the bag and hands it back to you.

[Alma] It would be quite old :)

  • Alma tucks it away safely.

[Ysabeau] . o O (I wonder if Hesperus could palm something like that, if he were so inclined?)

[Ysabeau] Yes, indeed.

[Ysabeau] Sister, I had a thought about the Legend Lore.

[Alma] Oh?

[Ysabeau] I am wondering whether the line about the wheel ceasing to spin might simply mean that the current progress of souls through the different Houses would stop.

[Ysabeau] Which is a nicer prospect than the end of the world.

[Ysabeau] Though I admit that it would be problematic for our current social organization and the Church.

[Alma] Well, I don't think it fortells the end of the world so much as the end of the world as we know it...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I hope so! I had hoped to live to a ripe old age, surrounded by little grandchildren. :)

  • Alma smiles, though she's not comfortable with the thought of the cycle being broken...

[Ysabeau] But if that's what you think, then my interpretation isn't at odds with yours, really.

  • Ysabeau sighs.

[Alma] The question becomes... what replaces the Wheel? the Cycle?

[Ysabeau] Could be.

[Alma] If nothing, will we still be guided towards the Centre?

[Alma] Are we subject to the will of a God that once destroyed our civilisation?

[Ysabeau] I don't know, Sister. I wish I did, as I'm sure you do as well. :/

  • Alma nods

[Ysabeau] Like you said, though... I guess we just have to place our trust in the gods.

[Ysabeau] Take a leap of faith.

[Alma] It would be nice if we had their feedback on this particular issue though...

[Ysabeau] I agree.

[Ysabeau] But maybe that is the point... they want us to decide our future.

[Ysabeau] Not have them decide it for us.

[Ysabeau] I don't exactly feel qualified to decide the future for everyone in the Empire, though...

[Alma] There's also a difference between making an informed choice, with the help of a wiser power, and making one blind...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I know. :/

[Alma] I'm not sure whether anything we've found today will tell us anything helpful...

[Ysabeau] I wish we could brief the Emperor on all this... I mean, it's his job to make the tough decisions with the guidance of his Council isn't it?

[Alma] A broken pot, a rotten belt and a magic ring, which is probably "run of the mill" as far as magic rings go.

[Alma] I would assume that the Emperor is aware of some of this, certainly through the Reverend Council and Cornelia Nash.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I would hope so. Do you think he would know enough, though?

[Alma] Possibly Maze Olivier as well, seeing as how tangled up 'the Hush' seem to be with everything.

[Ysabeau] Actually...

[Ysabeau] The Emperor probably doesn't know much at all that Maze knows.

[Ysabeau] I asked Martan about the split in the Hush.

[Alma] Oh?

[Ysabeau] He explained to me that Nash dislikes the fact that the Hush was created to exist outside the law... she thinks it should be subject to the law. But in some respects that would hamper its function.

[Ysabeau] Anyway, she has been manoeuvering to prevent Lord Grey having any access to the court.

[Ysabeau] So he is working on his own, without access to or guidance from the Emperor, trying to do his best to hold the Empire together.

[Alma] So Olivier wants the government's hands off his business, and Nash thinks that in order to discourage him from having his way she should block his involvement with government?

[Ysabeau] Well, I don't think that is quite right.

[Ysabeau] It sounds to me like Lord Grey wants to report to the Emperor, as the position was meant to when it was first created.

[Ysabeau] But he is being prevented from doing so.

[Ysabeau] That's my understanding, anyway.

[Alma] So Mr. Olivier wants the law out of his business, but not the Emperor.

  • Ysabeau smiles wryly.

[Ysabeau] I think Mr Olivier wants the freedom to get what needs to be done, done, in order to serve the Empire.

  • Alma makes a face of distaste.

[Alma] Yes, and then the next Mr. Olivier decides not to bother consulting the Emperor at all... and we have the sort of garbage that's been going on *and* without any accountability.

[Ysabeau] That's highly doubtful, Sister.

[Ysabeau] No Emperor would allow such a potentially powerful organization to exist if it wasn't accountable to him.

[Ysabeau] All the Emperor would have to do is tell the Warlord to hunt down a rogue Lord Grey.

[Alma] Is it? Power structures aren't that easy to stamp out... especially when it's their business to go underground.

[Ysabeau] I doubt there are enough spies in the Hush to fend off the entire army and the guards.

[Alma] All it takes is one powerful man with connections who starts believing that he, and only he, has the intelligence and wisdom to properly protect the Empire.

[Ysabeau] On the other hand, I do not think it is wise for one person, the Warlord, to have control of the army, the guards AND the spy service.

[Ysabeau] Don't you see how easy that would make it for a rogue Warlord to make a coup?

[Alma] I'm not particularly convinced that Ms. Nash would need Olivier's spies to cause damage.

[Ysabeau] Possibly not.

[Alma] Perhaps Mr. Olivier should be in charge of... information gathering in the city and the Empire, without Nash's interference... but I know for certain that they shouldn't be murdering people and leaving them in churches.

[Alma] Along with some lazy attempt to frame a cult. ]:|

[Ysabeau] Do you even know for sure that that was the Hush?

[Alma] Yes.

[Ysabeau] Do you know which faction of the Hush did it?

[Alma] Indication, yes...

[Alma] Olivier said that Theodis Maez was one of his best. Br- Phineas Strauch killed Theodis for a Ring of Wishes, and when I asked to whom Strauch was most loyal, his body said Nash.

[Ysabeau] So both sides appear to be guilty of murder.

[Alma] Then again, perhaps he stole the Ring of Wishes for himself, and Nash punished him for stepping outside the law. I'm not sure, but I do know that this is not how things should be done.

[Alma] I mean... what if it had been someone else who found that hideous sight?

  • Alma shakes her head

[Ysabeau] I'm sure they'd have been shocked like you, traumatized possibly.

[Ysabeau] But having been someone who stumbles across hideous sights from time to time, I know that eventually you get over it.

[Alma] Or worse. And if it hadn't been me, I might not have dug into the situation and found out the truth. Then we'd have a city that thinks the Order is going around murdering people, priests even!

[Ysabeau] Do we know what Theodis or Phineas meant to do with the ring of wishes?

[Alma] No, I don't know where the Ring ended up, or where it came from.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] Oh, no, Dominik said it belonged to... Loick Silveira.

[Alma] The new Chief Sorceror.

[Ysabeau] What if someone had meant to do something truly terrible with that ring - would you save the life of one person over the lives of many?

[Alma] I'm not saying anything like that, Ysabeau. Strauch murdered Theodis Maez, and could have met his death in accordance with the law.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] It's this vulgar clandestine murder I have a problem with.

[Ysabeau] If there had been sufficient evidence to convict him, he could have, yes.

[Ysabeau] I don't disagree with you Sister.

[Ysabeau] I'm just thinking... that if we don't have all the information, it is difficult to understand why certain actions were taken.

[Alma] We never have all the information, we have to have some sort of faith in our judgement... and leaving a man splayed out in a church doesn't need contextualising.

[Ysabeau] Would it have been better to drag him off and dump him in a canal in the Shambles where random corpses are sadly not that shocking an event?

[Alma] I'm sure I can come up with a list of suggestions.

[Ysabeau] What a gruesome turn this conversation has taken!

  • Alma chuckles.

[Ysabeau] I'm sorry Sister.

[Alma] It's alright, dear. Our current circumstances are sometimes a little morbid...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I think I have trouble seeing things in terms of black and white, too.

[Alma] I think that's what bothers me too. Sure, you and I have seen things which we can cope with... and maybe even most people have the strength to cope with them... but why should they have to?

[Ysabeau] To me it's all a mess of grey.

[Alma] And those who can't... those who'll have nightmares... why add that to their lives?

[Alma] Not that I didn't have nightmares about the dream...

[Alma] But you know...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Sister, you don't really know a lot about me.

[Ysabeau] A lot of bad things have happened in my life - things like you're talking about.

[Ysabeau] I don't know that I would wish them all away, though.

[Ysabeau] Those experiences made me grow as a person, become stronger.

[Ysabeau] I learned something from every single one.

[Ysabeau] Maybe that's the only reason for such events.

[Ysabeau] So that we can learn, and grow, on our paths.

  • Alma nods, unsure of where to proceed on such a personal topic...

[Ysabeau] I think you just have to have faith that all things have a reason.

[Ysabeau] Even though it may be really difficult to see what that reason is.

  • Ysabeau takes your hand and squeezes it comfortingly.
  • Alma laughs.

[Alma] I think that's my job.

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Alma] I just don't want to preach at you like I know something, when I haven't lived in your shoes.

[Alma] I'm sorry that you had to bear witness to darkness, but I'm glad you've found peace with it.

  • Ysabeau smiles.
  • Alma squeezes your hand in return.

[Ysabeau] You don't have to apologize for any of it.

[Ysabeau] That's just how things have been for me.

[Alma] Ah, I meant the other kind of sorry...

  • Ysabeau laughs,

[Alma] If I had my way, it wouldn't have happened. I understand what you're saying, in a way... perhaps we should all face just as much suffering as we can bear. It just doesn't sit well with me.

[Alma] I guess I'll take my chances breeding a generation of softies? :P

[Ysabeau] Good luck with that! ;)

[Ysabeau] Sooo.... your marriage is looming closer and closer.

[Ysabeau] You must be excited!

[Ysabeau] OH!

[Ysabeau] Also...

[Alma] Yes, it's next month, officially. I'm barely even involved in setting it up, and I'm so glad for it...

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] I think if I ever marry, I'll just elope.

[Ysabeau] I don't want to hear what someone would say about me at my wedding!

[Alma] Danyel suggested it for us, actually...

[Alma] Before that disgusting sabotage, even.

[Alma] The night of the Bridge of Vanities...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] :/

[Ysabeau] Someone really seems to have it in for M. Rionet.

[Alma] I told him we needn't run off and ruin his mother's fun, as whether we're married or not is irrelevent.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Best not antagonize the future mother in law.

  • Ysabeau agrees sagely.

[Alma] Though we did sort of exchange vows of a sort...

[Alma] Maybe as a priest it's official, I don't know :P

[Alma] We'll just keep that quiet though.

[Ysabeau] Awww... ^-^

[Ysabeau] Before I forget to mention it to you, I found out from M. Deverara that Renald Underdown is indeed the stablemaster at his family's estate in Rosyvor.

[Alma] I wish I could have helped Guillame more :(

[Ysabeau] My clever ruse for explaining why I wanted to discover if such a person still existed was to say I wanted to send Dessa's things to her surviving family members.

[Ysabeau] So, M. Deverara has offered to send Dessa's things there.

[Alma] Do you think you, or we [said as an offer], should contact Mr. Underdown?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I had hoped to...

[Ysabeau] So... I was wondering whether you think I should send a letter with the things, asking about the family history and all that?

[Ysabeau] The problem is, there's no guarantee he'd write back.

[Alma] Well, we could *go* to Rosyvor...

[Ysabeau] Do you think?

  • Alma thinks for a moment.

[Ysabeau] I could tell M. Deverara that I'd rather deliver the items myself, since Dessa was dear to us, and I'd like to meet her relatives for sentimental reasons.

[Ysabeau] If we are able to go, do you think Murienne could come?

[Ysabeau] I think it might do her good to meet Dessa's living cousins.

[Alma] Yes, perhaps...

[Ysabeau] And she really needs closure about Dessa's death, even more than I do.

[Alma] I don't really know any landmarks in Rosyvor well enough to teleport... though that could be remedied. The other alternative is a rather long trip as mist.

  • Alma nods.

[Ysabeau] What about using the circles in the Palace?

[Ysabeau] I wonder if a lowly court composer can ask to use them?

[Alma] Oh, I suppose, though I hear those were not really meant to be used casually.

[Ysabeau] I know, that's why I'm hesitant to ask.

[Alma] You recall how ruffled the old gendarme was in Kholm :P

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] This wind walk we're under the effects of now... allows quite fast travel, if the winds allow. We'd probably be home already if we flew.

[Ysabeau] Oh really?!

[Ysabeau] The other thing with the Underdowns is... do you think we should keep the portrait of Martan Kizer?

[Ysabeau] Or give it to M. Underdown?

[Ysabeau] I'm not sure if it will ever tell us any more than it already has. :/

[Ysabeau] Seeing it might jog M. Underdown's memory, though...

[Ysabeau] He might know what used to be in it.

[Alma] That's a good question... though it would likely be his by rights :|

[Ysabeau] I know, that's why I'm indecisive about it.

[Alma] I'm not sure what else there is to learn from it though...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] I suppose in theory if we kept it, we could argue we're like the Hush, trying to solve a crime outside the law -_-

[Alma] After all, the guards keep evidence, if they must.

[Ysabeau] True

  • Alma looks a little stumped on this question...

[Ysabeau] That wouldn't trouble me, honestly. Unless it hurt someone.

[Ysabeau] But you know I think we should ask M. Underdown about it.

[Ysabeau] Which will be tipping our hand to him, he'll know we have it regardless.

[Alma] Yes, I was thinking that exactly.

[Ysabeau] So then it would be hard not to give it to him.

[Ysabeau] Unless he didn't want it.

[Ysabeau] Maybe he'd sell it to you? ;)

[Alma] And perhaps if we do, we could say that it's in my care...

[Alma] Yes, or that...

[Ysabeau] I don't need it, myself. I have a very similar-looking Martan to look at whenever I want, and he is alive. ;)

[Alma] I wonder if an artifact belonging to Martan Kizer would be of particular value...

  • Ysabeau shrugs.

[Alma] So does he look that way naturally? Well, as naturally as one could expect? He's not under the influence of any illusions or transmutations?

[Ysabeau] He looked exactly as he does with the True Sight you gave me at the Hall of Worthies party.

[Alma] How interesting.

[Alma] Despite the Wish, a resemblence to his grandfather.

[Ysabeau] Well, aren't Wishes tricky things?

[Ysabeau] They wanted to hide his identity, right? So the Wish turned him into a boy. Wouldn't it be just like a Wish to keep his strong family resemblance intact?

[Alma] Well, I wouldn't necessarily say "tricky", but I imagine that it would only change the things required, so whatever it is that makes us like our families would remain the same... unless specifically mentioned.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] For example, if they'd Wished for him to be a boy of his adopted family's blood.

[Alma] You could say it's a lazy spell? :)

[Ysabeau] Or a lazy caster. ;)

[Alma] Perhaps, though I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. du Champe simply didn't know who fathered Theonée.

  • Ysabeau nods. She has really brightened and become more animated since the conversation turned to Martan Olivier. ^-^

[Alma] A very clever man though. I spoke with Corwen Storms at the Castalia and got access to his notes on the events of the city's foundation.

[Ysabeau] Oh yes? Do tell me what they say!

  • Alma will tell you some rough details on the events.
  • Ysabeau listens with interest and asks intelligent questions.

[Alma] I'll tell you more when I have my notes around sometime...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Fair enough!

[Alma] (I haven't finished rereading the logs yet :P)

  • Ysabeau glances out the window.

[Ysabeau] Oh! We better ask the coachman to stop - we're approaching the city gates.

[Alma] Oh! Time to bring in the wash :)

[Ysabeau] Indeed it is!

  • Ysabeau will help Alma back into her dress and make small talk the rest of the way to the Society.

[Alma] (Actually I'd be in robes so it's probably pretty easy :P)


Sanadhil and Ysabeau

  • Ysabeau is just heading out to catch a cab and get herself home so she can get cleaned up and changed out of her salt-encrusted clothing.
  • Sanadhil is also just heading out home to change and try and relax.

[Sanadhil] ahh, Mlle Chanuier.

  • Ysabeau smiles warmly.

[Ysabeau] M. Orecalo.

[Ysabeau] Looking forward to getting home so you can wash up? I never knew salt would make my skin feel so itchy. Did you?

[Sanadhil] Oh... yes. It's the same in the ocean, I find.

[Ysabeau] You'd know!

  • Ysabeau says cheerfully, remembering your trip south to the island where you met your redheaded girlfriend.

[Ysabeau] Hopefully I'll see the ocean some day. ^-^

  • Sanadhil nods, and gives you a wan smile, still feeling pretty drained.

[Sanadhil] Its very relaxing.

[Ysabeau] Complete opposite of caves, eh?

[Sanadhil] ...yes.

  • Sanadhil sighs.

[Sanadhil] and thank you, mlle, for your concerns.

  • Ysabeau shrugs.

[Ysabeau] I have felt the way you looked a few times myself, though for a different reason.

[Ysabeau] I am sorry if I drew too much attention to you for your comfort...

[Ysabeau] I was really worried about you, though.

[Sanadhil] Ahh.

  • Ysabeau does look sincerely apologetic and concerned.

[Sanadhil] I a- ... will be fine. My apologies for repaying your concerns by drenching your cloak -_-.

  • Sanadhil still seems a litle shaken, though the walls are going back up as he recovers himself.

[Ysabeau] It's all right. I imagine salt washes out...

  • Sanadhil nods.

[Ysabeau] Really it's more important that you'll be all right, M. Orecalo.

[Sanadhil] I expect so, but if you need to have it laundered, please let me know, and I can repay you.

  • Ysabeau grins.

[Ysabeau] I doubt that will be necessary; Murienne and I do our own laundry.

[Ysabeau] And if that fails, I can always toss it in the palace laundry next time I'm there for work. ;)

[Sanadhil] ahh, yes, of course.

[Ysabeau] No charge to anyone save the Emperor, that way.

[Ysabeau] ;D

[Ysabeau] I think he can probably cover it.

[Ysabeau] Shameless, aren't I?

[Sanadhil] Hmm. I don't expect he'll be too troubled.

[Ysabeau] He won't even know, I'm sure.

[Ysabeau] There must be mountains of laundry generated there every day.

[Sanadhil] Well - I suppose we shoudl be going if we wish to do any more exploring today.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] You take care, M. Orecalo.

[Ysabeau] Hopefully there won't be too much more subterranean exploration required.

[Sanadhil] You as well, Mlle.

[Ysabeau] Right then. See you later!

  • Ysabeau smiles.
  • Sanadhil nds once more and will set off home to clean up and try to relax somewhat...
  • Ysabeau waves and picks up a dripping burlap sack she had left just outside the front door.


Sanadhil and Earric

  • Sanadhil sighs in relief as he arrives home, finally settlig on tea rather than wine to settle his nerves, and sets thr pot to boil as he strips out of his salt-crusted clothing, and draws a bath.
  • Sanadhil slips into a loose robe while he waits for both, sitting down to try and clear his mind

[Earric] Rough day?

  • Earric is standing behind you. You didn't see/hear him come in.
  • Sanadhil freezes, comspletly caught off guard

[Sanadhil] what!?

  • Earric holds his hands up non-threateningly.

[Earric] You seem upset.

  • Sanadhil takes a step backwards regardless.

[Sanadhil] This is.... not a good time for a visit.

[Sanadhil] . o O (AHHH)

[Earric] Dear me. I do apologize for intruding.

  • Earric does not sound especially apologetic.
  • Sanadhil 's gaze wanders wildly around the room for a moment before settling back on Earric.

[Sanadhil] What do you want.

[Earric] To see you.

[Earric] Isn't it obvious?

  • Sanadhil crosses his arms over his abdomen defensively.

[Sanadhil] Why?

[Earric] You had a brush with... something unsettling, didn't you.

[Sanadhil] And you wanted to see me unsettled?

[Sanadhil] is that it?

  • Sanadhil feels cold and not at all composed.

[Earric] I thought someone ought to be here for you.

[Sanadhil] No.

  • Sanadhil shakes his head.

[Earric] No, they shouldn't, or no, you don't believe me?

[Sanadhil] ...

[Sanadhil] both.

  • Earric sighs.

[Earric] How sad.

  • Sanadhil pushes his hair back out of his face, and says nothing, fighting to maintain a neutral expression.
  • Earric reaches out his hand to yours.
  • Sanadhil moves back again out of reach.... though there isn't much room in the kitchen
  • Earric isn't being grabby - oddly respectful, you think :o

[Sanadhil] (sure, kitchen.... that works :3)

[Sanadhil] why?

  • Sanadhil asks again, fighting to keep his voice from breaking.

[Earric] Because I feel responsible.

  • Sanadhil just looks confused at that, and maybe a little suspicious
  • Earric continues to hold his hand out, not moving forward.

[Sanadhil] Please just leave.

[Earric] May I... before I go, may I touch your hands?

[Sanadhil] ...

[Earric] It's not a trick.

[Sanadhil] If you'll go.

[Earric] I promise.

  • Sanadhil is still not convinced, but will each out one hand towards him, holding his robe closed with the other.
  • Earric takes your hand almost reverently between his, running his thumb over the salt-stained lines of your palm.
  • Sanadhil sniffs and swallows.
  • Sanadhil 's hand is shaking somewhat

[Earric] ...you touched divinity today. Whatever else you went through, you have that at least.

[Sanadhil] I didn't touch anything.

[Earric] I can tell you did. I can feel it.

[Sanadhil] Is that what you wanted.

[Earric] No.

  • Sanadhil curls his hand int a tight fist.

[Earric] Actually, it hurts quite a lot.

  • Earric says with careful control.
  • Sanadhil nods, though he hadn't considered that.
  • Sanadhil rubs his temples insteadm, but the divinity doesn't seem to help or hinder him much.

[Sanadhil] I'm...

  • Sanadhil stops himself for apologizing.

[Earric] It was a sad, broken little thing, wasn't it.

  • Sanadhil pales a bit and closes his robe again

[Sanadhil] What do you know about it.

[Earric] What I can feel from you.

  • Sanadhil closes his eyes for a moment

[Sanadhil] I haven't given it much thought.

[Earric] No... but you will.

  • Sanadhil nods.
  • Earric is still holding your hand in his, unless you've taken it away.

[Sanadhil] (no but it is still balled)

[Sanadhil] Of course.

  • Earric gently unfolds your fingers from their fist.
  • Sanadhil can hardly really resist, but doesn't make much effort anyway
  • Earric kisses your palm, once, then releases you.

[Earric] I'll go.

  • Sanadhil 's arms wrap around his waist again, and he nods silently, though his eyes are looking a little red.

[Sanadhil] (or watery, maybe)

[Earric] Be safe, Sanadhil.

  • Earric vanishes.
  • Sanadhil sinks to the floor after he is gone, feeling completely drained
  • Sanadhil spends a bit of time starung at his hands and trying not to cry before he remembers the bath and tea