Ashnabis session 35

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ashnabis session logs
Previous Session 35 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: June 28, 2020
Fair Cycle date:

Introduction


<AshnabisGM> Late in Loster, the winds blow from the south, up along the coast from the Hrofnand territories. The hot warm winds bring little relief, and the rain is still scant.
<AshnabisGM> The town of Kaskind is abuzz with the news of the defeat of the Cormorant Fleet through an alliance of ships from the Fort as well as those sent by the Academy at Zhardif. Your role in the victory, though hardly the stuff of legend, is recognized at least by those at the Fort who know a little about what took place.
<AshnabisGM> In the end, much of the Cormorant Fleet was sunk but the Cormorant herself and her captain Yeggun limped away, much to the disappointment of everyone. Once the seas were clear, you were able to return to Kaskind, bringing with you Aptan and Ulutse, who are currently staying in Jimba's warehouse.
<AshnabisGM> As for you, you're looking forward to what little normalcy you can hope for - and maybe, just maybe, some rain ...

Hillisi comes to talk to Llillilli about events in Pfaeshes


<AshnabisGM> Lllillilli, you have been out of sorts since your return from Ruur. You are glad to see the island freed from the pirates of the Cormorant Fleet, and glad, too, that the people of Pfaeshes were largely untouched by the violent naval attack.
<AshnabisGM> But very torn, too, as the People of Sulise have taken hold of Pfaeshes completely in the wake of the invasion, with your trainer, King Whuthe's general Fifelus at the helm. Why can't people just leave well enough alone?
<AshnabisGM> You have not had a chance to hear yet from Thelef since the attack, perhaps unsurprisingly. The hith hatchling that you are fostering is doing well under the care of Shulilae and Helithae.
<AshnabisGM> You are returning to the Menagerie from a trip to visit the child when you see, walking along the Colony Road towards you, your trainer Hillisi, Fifelus' partner. He waves as he sees you.
* Hillisi is a strong, slender man in his thirties. He's wearing a grey-green dashi with only a small brooch made of lithus to indicate that he is a hithkindred.
<Hillisi> Llillilli, my sister!
<Hillisi> I was hoping to find you. They told me you were over here.
* Llillilli eyes him a little warily.
<Llillilli> Well I do live here.
<Hillisi> How have you been faring?
<Llillilli> Fine.
<Hillisi> Fifelus told me about your bravery in Pfaeshes. The People are again in your debt, selleluf.
<Llillilli> I guess.
* Llillilli frowns, uncomfortable.
<Hillisi> Sileshu is beloved of us. It will not be forgotten.
* Hillisi says emphatically.
<Llillilli> Hm.
<Hillisi> You are ill at ease.
* Llillilli shrugs.
<Llillilli> What did you want to see me for?
<Hillisi> Ahh ... well ... ahh, Fifelus indicated that I perhaps should check in on you.
<Llillilli> WHy's that
* Llillilli crosses her arms
<Hillisi> Sister, don't be that way.
<Llillilli> What way? I don't understand.
<Hillisi> I am trying to understand. I know you are upset. Fifelus knows too. That is why he asked me to visit.
<Llillilli> What did he say?
<Hillisi> That you were upset that he asked your friends to leave the island.
* Llillilli snorts.
<Llillilli> THe People abandoned Pfaeshes. Cut off, no communication. Your 'beloved' left to rot in the brig of the cormorant. His family left alone to be abused by the pirates. Those humans - my friends, my *family
* - were the only ones who cared to do something. To bring help to the people of Pfaeshes and bring the Heptachei back their father. And they were chased off like... trespassers.
<Llillilli> Like they had come to rob.
<Hillisi> Hmm ... I can see why you would feel that way.
<Hillisi> But it is not so simple.
<Llillilli> Hm.
<Llillilli> I'm sure you will explain it to me, brother.
<Hillisi> The People never abandoned Pfaeshes. The King is in an impossible position. They want peace with humans, and to not intervene. To intervene is to concede that humans are ... irredeemable. That the solars have been right all along.
<Hillisi> I know that they hoped that whatever the pirate lord was up to, it was temporary. That Sileshu would be released. That things could go back to normal.
<Hillisi> Taking Pfaeshes in the chaos was, as I understand it, seen as a way of taking action while not upsetting the balance of affairs among the humans - or among the People.
<Llillilli> Sure. What would I know.
<Hillisi> The People don't make the kinds of distinctions we think they ought to between the humans of the Fort and, say, Aummesh people who have been here for generations. After all, we are all descended from the Imperials.
<Llillilli> I only know what it looks like to me is they waited until the human powers came to repel the pirates and then showed up to claim the island. It doesn't look like they cared very much about those people at all.
<Hillisi> I can see that perspective, sister.
<Llillilli> They could easily have sent communications at the very least, to reassure the humans who live there.
<Llillilli> It was not so hard.
<Hillisi> They may have - I don't know.
<Llillilli> We did it. More than once,
<Llillilli> They did not.
* Llillilli says flatly.
<Hillisi> All right.
<Hillisi> King Whuthe is doing all he can to prevent a war with the humans. Surely we can agree that that is what we want?
<Llillilli> I'm not *simple
* Hillisi of course that is what I want.
<Hillisi> There is another way to look at all this. It was certainly not what anyone was thinking, but it may be to your benefit.
* Llillilli eyes him skeptically
<Hillisi> Imagine that you are hailed as the savior of Pfaeshes - that you and your friends get a big parade around the town.
<Llillilli> I don't want a fucking *parade*!
* Llillilli yells in disbelief.
<Hillisi> Well - you know what I mean, though.
<Llillilli> I am sure I do not!
<Llillilli> Please, explain to me like the idiot you clearly think I am!
<Hillisi> I don't think you are an idiot.
<Llillilli> Then stop talking down to me like a CHILD!
<Hillisi> All right ... what is it that you would like me to say?
<Llillilli> Why did you come here? What do you want from me?
<Hillisi> I came - I thought I would empathize. With being ... unwelcome, in a place where I desperately want to be welcomed and honoured.
<Hillisi> We huwhi can be thankful that we are allowed to be among the People but we also know that we are not ever of the People, not fully. That is hard.
<Llillilli> If you think any of us did that for glory...
<Hillisi> I do not think that.
<Llillilli> I am becoming very used to not belonging, anywhere.
<Llillilli> I thought I could belong in my unbelonging, but now I see that was wrong too.
<Hillisi> But I do think that perhaps, you wanted to be more accepted and recognized by the People. Because that is something that we have all wanted. That if I am honest with myself, I still want.
<Hillisi> We do not get to choose whether to be hith or human. That is not a choice any can make. Fifelus and I, our relationship is strong, but I am careful not to pretend that I am not what I am not.
<Llillilli> I know what I am.
<Llillilli> I'll never be of the People. And if the humans here knew... everything, I wouldn't be one of them either.
<Llillilli> I'm no one.
* Llillilli says bitterly.
<Llillilli> ANd I don't care.
<Hillisi> You have much of your mentor's spirit, selleluf. But Shulilae, they live a hard life, isolated.
<Llillilli> Nevertheless I grow to understand their choice.
<Hillisi> Have you spoken with Thelef, since all this happened? Or is he still at court?
<Llillilli> He is.
<Llillilli> Are you hoping he will rein me in?
<Hillisi> I am not so foolish.
<Hillisi> But he is truly as a little brother to me - our families are intertwined for centuries, even without our common bond with the People. I know this must be a hard time for him.
<Llillilli> Yes. It is.
<Hillisi> He is loyal to the king.
* Llillilli waits for him to get to the point
<Hillisi> He may have a better understanding of the king's decisions than either of us.
<Hillisi> I, like you, stand as an outsider to the court. And I have long ago given up trying to understand.
<Llillilli> Well I will look forward to having him impart that wisdom.
<Hillisi> Sister, I mourn those happy days on the beach, pfethes in hand. These simple things - I want them once more. But I see that for now that is not to be.
<Llillilli> If Fifelus wishes to speak to be themselves they know where to find me. :
<Hillisi> I am certain they will, when they can.
<Hillisi> For now, I will go.
* Hillisi heads off.

Veznara speaks to the ancestor Buhin, mediated by Voice Tegus


<AshnabisGM> Veznara, your excursions to Ruur have been a distraction - however important - from some of the more important work you have set before you.
<AshnabisGM> Your quest to learn more about the enigmatic Buhin Odazhi, both through his revived kinsman Lentus and from the Ancestor himself, have had some success, but you have so many more questions about the Osnabi wars and the late imperial period.
<AshnabisGM> You have made an appointment with the high priest of the Voice, Hand Tegus, to seek additional wisdom and clarification on the matters that Lentus discussed with you.
<Veznara> (not Voice Gili? )
<AshnabisGM> (no, Voice Gili can't give you access directly - as before, Tegus will ask the questions)
<Veznara> (Okay. I shall have to be circumspect...)
* Veznara goes to the Temple of the Voice at the appointed hour
<AshnabisGM> The Temple is situated to the southwest of Fort Kaskind, a building mostly of stone with a high wooden roof. You gain access readily and are escorted into a room to meet with Tegus.
* Tegus is a heavyset man with a cherubic face and a thick shock of grey hair. He is wearing his black Voice robe tied at the waist with a leather belt.
<Tegus> Hand Veznara, welcome back.
<Veznara> Thank you, Voice Tegus. It's a pleasure to return.
<Tegus> You wish to speak again with the ancestor Buhin of the Odazhi?
<Veznara> Yes, thank you. I'm most grateful for the opportunity.
<Tegus> If I might ask - what is your interest in Buhin, really?
<Veznara> As a historian, I have many questions! He was involved in the events that began the fall of the Empire; perhaps he can provide new insight into them.
<Veznara> I'm also interested in his personal story, and that of his family.
<Tegus> Yes, yes, of course, I understand why you would have been interested the last time. But then, Lentus was not yet revived. Now, you have a ... compatriot? even friend? who was alive at that time. You could go and talk to him anytime, in person, ask all your questions.
<Veznara> I'm afraid he does not have all the answers, however, Voice Tegus. He can only talk about events leading up to his own fate, not what came afterward.
<Tegus> Yes, of course. So it is about matters after Lentus' death, but before Buhin's, that you wish to inquire?
<Veznara> Yes. And perhaps some that precede Lentus' death, but that he cannot give a firsthand account of.
<Tegus> Very well. I have had the Ancestor brought to a private viewing area. You have your questions ready?
<Veznara> (BTW, did I get anything about Isha Tertizhi from the Espali Annals?)
* Veznara nods
<Tegus> (nope - nothing there)
<Veznara> Yes, thank you, Voice Tegus.
<Veznara> Five questions, as before?
<Tegus> Yes, that's right.
<Veznara> Very well. I am ready.
* Tegus escorts you to a side chamber where the ancestor has been laid out in a carved stone box, apparently newly crafted for his eternal rest.
<Tegus> Ancestor Buhin of the Odazhi, we come with questions for you, if you would give us your wisdom.
<Tegus> All right, Hand Veznara, you may proceed.
<Veznara> My first question: what does the revered Buhin of the Odazhi know of the ultimate fate of Liuppina, daughter of Aimmoch, and of her son Taipatus Iuppach?
* Tegus turns to the body and makes the inquiry.
<Tegus> His words, as always, are in ancient form, but I will convey them as best I can.
* Veznara nods
<Tegus> He says that after his kinsman was turned to stone, Buhin married Liuppina and raised Taipatus Iuppach to adulthood - they lived long lives.
* Veznara smiles
* Veznara tempers her smile, realizing that this may not sit so well with Lentus...
<Veznara> (Does there seem to be more? Or is Tegus waiting for the next question?)
<Tegus> (that seems to be it)
<Veznara> What does the revered Buhin of the Odazhi know of where Isha Tertizhi was deployed during her time in these lands?
* Tegus asks the question.
<Tegus> He says that he knows very little of specific deployments of troops and generals. He knows that she was one of the generals present when Lentus was turned to stone, but after that, he thinks she was perhaps in the northeast. He knows nothing further.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> What does the revered Buhin of the Odazhi know or believe about the confrontations that occurred some 18 month or so before his cousin's trial, in which it is said that a regiment of Stoneguards attacked a local village and were later attacked and defeated by Osnabi raiders in return?
<Veznara> (I am watching Tegus carefully during this one! :P )
* Tegus asks the question, careful to get all those clauses right in the older grammar.
<Tegus> (sure, give me a SM check)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+13
* Daifan rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 30 ].
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 26 ].
<Tegus> (we'll take the first one, I think Heather has 2 bots in the channel)
<Veznara> (I was just going to say! Not sure why it gave me two, but I'd rather take the 30. :P )
* Tegus definitely seems disturbed at whatever answer he is getting, and pauses an inordinately long time after receiving whatever answer he gets, as if considering what to say.
<Tegus> Well.
<Veznara> Yes?
<Tegus> It is ... a complicated answer.
<Veznara> I see. What does he say?
<Tegus> The stoneguards in question were friends of his - people who corresponded with him during the war, but part of a unit to the south of them. They were involved in a strange quest - a search for a legend ... a myth, really. Rushultagri, the lost child. A folk story told in the old days.
<Tegus> But then, this accusation that you describe occurred - his friends lost, their bodies lost, and with them, any hope of learning what they had been looking for, or what they found.
<Tegus> After that point, the Ancestor lost much trust and faith in those things he had once held dear.
* Tegus concludes, thoughtfully.
* Veznara frowns
<Veznara> I am sorry to hear it. Does he explain what the legend was about, or why these events led to his loss of faith? Or would those have to be separate questions?
<Tegus> (give me another SM, and no you can't take the 26 from before)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+13
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 20 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 33 ].
<Veznara> :D
<Tegus> (well)
<Tegus> That is really all that the ancestor says.
* Tegus lies.
<Veznara> Hmmm.
<Veznara> Well, my next question, then: what can the revered Buhin of the Odazhi tell us about the descendents, if any, of his stepson Taipatus Iuppach?
* Tegus asks the question.
<Tegus> Taipatus Iuppach, in time, married and had children of his own. But the Ancestor was always careful to have him remember that Lentus was his father - and indeed, to honor his father as ancestor.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> Before my last question to the revered Ancestor, Voice Tegus, I wonder if you yourself know anything of this legend he mentions?
<Tegus> Yes, it is known to me. Rushultagri is, purportedly, the son of Zunuga herself, who was, many hundreds of years before even the Ancestor was alive, supposed by some to have survived and taken to safety. It is a story - and one now mostly forgotten, even to the learned.
<Veznara> I see. Thank you - perhaps we can discuss it after this. For my final question, then...
<Veznara> Who does the revered Ancestor Buhin of the Odazhi believe was truly responsible for stopping his friends from completing this quest?
<Tegus> The ancestor says that he does not know.
<Veznara> (Is he lying again?)
<Tegus> (give me another SM)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+13
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 21 ].
<Tegus> (you're not sure if he's lying, but he definitely doesn't seem to be giving you the whole truth)
<Veznara> I see. Thank you, Voice Tegus, and my thanks to the Ancestor Buhin of the Odazhi for imparting his wisdom and his knowledge.
<Tegus> The blessings of the ancestors be upon you, Hand Veznara.
<Veznara> (Well, that seems like a dismissal...)
<Veznara> And upon you as well, Voice Tegus.
<Veznara> Could you tell me more about Rushultagri?
* Veznara asks after they leave the presentation chamber
<Tegus> Well ... as I say, it is a legend. And like all legends, it has many tellings.
<Tegus> You must understand, we are now talking about a time before or just at the foundation of the Empire. Centuries before Buhin and Lentus lived.
* Veznara nods
<Tegus> I do not know what She is to the Hand, really, but to the Voice, she is not just the founder of the Corps, she is the first revenant, Of Herself Reborn, and more. So it is inevitable that there would be stories - like this one, that she had a secret lost child who lived somewhere.
<Tegus> And Osnabis, during the Osnabi campaigns, would have been a very strange place - full of weird tribes and unusual customs. I can imagine that a group of stoneguards would have got it in their heads to look there.
<Veznara> Perhaps they had some sort of clues leading them to look here.
<Tegus> Perhaps - or perhaps they were bored and disillusioned with a war that was not going well.
<Veznara> There is that, too.
* Veznara frowns
<Veznara> But why would the events the Ancestor describe have led him to lose faith?
<Tegus> I couldn't say.
<Veznara> Hmmm.
<Veznara> (SM?)
<Tegus> (I mean, the whole conversation is weird, but there's nothing more to learn here, so, no)
<Veznara> Well, if this story of Rushultagri was confirmed, what would the implications be?
<Tegus> I don't know. Perhaps none. But I don't know why we should give it any credence, on the basis of a secondhand account filtered through an Ancestor about events three hundred years ago.
<Veznara> Perhaps not.
<Veznara> In any case, I am happy to know that Lentus' wife and son did live full lives.
<Tegus> Indeed. It provides further confirmation to the notion that the Lentu lineage is descended from that line.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> It will also make Lentus himself happy, I'm sure.
<Tegus> I presume you will be sharing all these answers with him?
<Veznara> If I get a chance, yes. At least... those that pertain to him.
<Veznara> I'm not sure he'll be so happy to learn that his cousin married his widow...
<Veznara> But then, we have a duty to speak the Ancestors' truth. And he has a right to know.
<Tegus> Perhaps. Although, that is hard to say. That is not so unusual, especially in older times and among the nobility. It protects the widow by keeping her within the lineage.
<Veznara> Yes. Perhaps it was simply a question of Buhin fulfilling his duty.
<Veznara> Well, thank you again, Voice Tegus.
* Veznara smiles

Liraula comes to see Jimba and talk about Aptan's future


* AshnabisNarrator changes topic to 'she is a MILF... "Mystic" ILF'
<AshnabisGM> When you bought the warehouse, Jimba, you assumed it would be for housing wares. Not 'whatever straggler we happen to have collected on our travelers'. What would that be, a 'bumhouse'? No, that's something different.
<AshnabisGM> You will say, though, given the choice between an ancient elder revived from a stony fate, and a couple of horny teenagers ... well, Lentus was a lot cleaner and quieter, is all you're saying. But he's off enjoying his new life with the Lentu lineage.
<AshnabisGM> Aptan and Ulutse, however, are with you for the time being. Fortunately Liraula is coming to visit today to talk to you about the situation, and next steps.
* Tegus is now known as Liraula
* Liraula comes over one evening to meet you at the warehouse.
* Widiil is now known as Aptan
* Jimba will be ready to greet her.
* Liraula has her long grey hair loose flowing over her shoulders today.
<Liraula> Captain. Welcome back. May your victories strike fear and your defeats remain silent.
* Jimba grins.
<Jimba> Good evening, Captain, and likewise, though I prefer my victories strike bargains and my defeats...not exist. ;)
<Liraula> Ah, it's an old riverfolk saying.
<Jimba> (I assume I'd know that?)
<Liraula> (maybe, you don't know if you've heard it before though)
<Jimba> (kk)
<Liraula> You have achieved a great victory! And bargaining with Yeggun is like bargaining with an eel. Better not to try.
<Jimba> It's not really my victory, but thanks.
<Liraula> You have done me a great service. Here, take this.
* Liraula hands you a hefty bag of coins.
* Jimba takes it.
<Jimba> You're too kind.
<Liraula> Not at all. I understand that you've experienced some costs recently. This should cover that, as well as a good weight more for all your troubles.
<Jimba> Happy to help.
<Jimba> Honestly.
<Liraula> You're so accommodating. Has anyone ever suggested that you should become nastier?
<Jimba> I prefer to remain cordial as long as possible.
<Jimba> Friend are better than enemies, catch more flies with honey, and so on.
<Jimba> That said, plenty who have crossed me and my family have regretted it.
<Liraula> I hear your sister keeps them in line.
<Jimba> Kat's no slouch, either. We all make a good team.
<Liraula> Good, good. Well, feel free to give some of this to them, then. Or not, your choice.
<Jimba> We share profits.
<Liraula> Have the young ones been giving you any trouble?
<Jimba> Keeps the crew happy. :)
* Jimba sighs.
<Jimba> Not exactly.
<Jimba> They're just...young. And I'm not exactly an elder myself.
<Liraula> They in the back?
* Jimba nods.
<Liraula> Aptan! Get out here, boy!
* Liraula barks.
* Jimba chuckles.
* Aptan emerges, straightening out his dashi.
<Aptan> Auntie :) good to see you again.
<Liraula> You had us all worried there for a while.
* Aptan shrugs, a mix of embarrassed and dismissive
<Liraula> You did well too.
<Aptan> It wasn't so bad.
<Liraula> Anyway, Jimba, we need to talk about next steps.
<Liraula> Yeggun escaped, I presume you heard?
* Jimba nods, clearly unhappy.
<Jimba> Yeah...
<Liraula> The Cormorant won't ever go down easily. And Yeggun is dangerous when his mind is set to revenge.
<Liraula> Surely that puts many people at risk. Certainly, these two here - Yeggun is not known for his great tolerance for defectors.
* Junan is now known as Junan_AFK
<Jimba> Can't be much of the Cormorant Fleet left, can there?
<Liraula> Hard to say. They weren't all at Pashas.
<Jimba> :/
<Liraula> Any ship becomes a Cormorant ship, as long as it has a crew loyal to Yeggun.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> You have a plan, then?
<Liraula> Well ... You and yours might also be at risk. Were any of them seen in a way that they could be identified?
<Jimba> (Were we?)
<Jimba> (To my knowledge?_
<Liraula> (well, there was the part where you charmed Sileshu's guard Kayibir)
<Jimba> (Oh, right, heh)
<Jimba> Well, ah...
* Jimba scratches the back of his neck.
<Jimba> Yeah, my family and I might have been identified.
<Liraula> Oh?
<Jimba> Or, someone saw us. We gave different names.
<Liraula> You spoke to someone?
<Jimba> In rescuing Sileshu, we had to charm and talk our way past a pirate named Kayibir. I believe she is Yeggun's niece.
* Aptan nods
<Liraula> ... yes. Yes she is.
<Liraula> Well, hopefully she was killed in the battle.
<Aptan> :/
<Jimba> Well, we'll keep an eye out.
<Jimba> There was always a chance of reprisals.
<Liraula> Make sure that you do. You're a very valuable asset to the team.
<Liraula> As for these two ... it's complicated.
* Liraula waves generally in the direction of Aptan.
<Jimba> Oh?
<Liraula> I'm assuming you're not looking to house them here long-term.
* Jimba chuckles.
<Jimba> I hadn't planned on it.
<Liraula> I'd take them on the Black Stork, but even there, not everyone is going to just welcome them with open arms.
<Jimba> Though if they want to start moving boxes... ;)
<Aptan> Do I get any say in this, auntie?
<Liraula> No, of course not.
* Aptan sighs.
* Liraula says perfectly matter-of-factly.
<Liraula> You're a traitor to the Cormorants, and some of the Black Stork may think you're a traitor to them too.
* Jimba frowns.
<Aptan> I mean... fair enough I suppose.
<Aptan> But what am I supposed to do? Just decide to be a shoemaker or a butcher or something from now on and never go near the sea again?
* Jimba looks to Liraula.
<Liraula> Hey now, butchering is a fine profession! Shoemakers, they can be damned, though.
* Liraula says, probably kidding.
* Jimba chuckles.
<Liraula> Jimba, I think the first order of business should be to ensure that Aptan is safely accompanied to your colleagues at the Fort. They will surely have questions for him about Yeggun's operations.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> I think that can be managed.
<Liraula> As for the girl, maybe she goes back to Ruur.
<Jimba> She can't.
<Jimba> (As I recall?)
<AshnabisGM> (well, it would be complicated)
<Jimba> (*nod*)
<Aptan> I don't want her to.
<Aptan> Even if she could.
<Jimba> Okay.
<Liraula> Well, maybe she knows something of use to the Fort too.
* Jimba nods.
<Liraula> You can make that arrangement, then, Jimba? You're the one with the best contacts there.
<Aptan> What about after that, though? I mean, I can talk to the people at the fort, sure, but I'm not moving in there.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> I'd have to talk to Kat and Llillilli about it, but the Menagerie could use more crew.
<Jimba> Gotta start expanding at some point, right?
* Aptan smiles a bit at that.
<Liraula> That's an option.
<Liraula> I'm not saying you can never come back aboard the Stork, child. Just - right now, there'd be some who would be sore, and others who might sell you out to Yeggun given the chance.
<Aptan> I get it.
<Liraula> As for this Kayibir business, you should assume that even if you gave fake names, they will be able to figure out who you are. How many of you met her?
<Jimba> Me, Llillilli, and Kat.
* Liraula sighs.
<Liraula> All right. Well, definitely let them know to be alert, for the next while at least. I'll try to find out what happened to Kayibir.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> We'll be wary.
<Jimba> We were going to make an enemy of Yeggun one way or another in all this.
<Liraula> Fair.
<Liraula> All right, then. For now, you take care of yourself, get these two out of your hair, and we'll go from there.
<Jimba> All right.
* Aptan nods, looking a bit unhappy
<Jimba> Problem, kid?
<Aptan> No, I just... it's a lot of changes all at once. I'll manage.
<Liraula> All right then. Listen, I have to run. Business is good, with the competition in disarray.
<Jimba> I can imagine.
<Liraula> Thanks again, Jimba.
<Jimba> Let me know if you've got any more work or merchandise for me.
<Jimba> Always a pleasure, Liraula.

Daifan learns about how Ughiva became a folfi, and helps bring rain to Banei


<AshnabisNarrator> Daifan, in your spare time you have been undertaking some training from Ughiva on the unusual methods of spellcasting she has mastered, the way of the folfi, or 'witches' as they are called by hedal.
<AshnabisNarrator> You're still very new at this, and so it is a bit of a surprise when she asks you to join the group in helping to cast a spell to influence the weather, which you know to be a powerful undertaking.
* Daifan is very interested but also wary because they've never really dabbled much in any magic or sue of fos before
<AshnabisNarrator> Still, the rain is badly needed, and so you go to assist in whatever modest way you can.
* Daifan can be a fos resevore at the very least
<AshnabisNarrator> You make your way to the warehouse where the group has been staying. The conditions are not ideal, but still better than their situation at Galdai's estate, and they have taken some steps to make it more comfortable, adding hammocks, beds, and a cooking area, from which drifts the aroma of some fish stew.
* Ughiva gives you a nod when you arrive, getting up from the rope hammock she was lounging in with her partner, Kida.
<Ughiva> How are you doing, Smiles?
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> Nothing is on fire yet today
<Daifan> for beter or for worse
<Ughiva> That's good, at least.
* Ughiva seems to be in a good mood today, perhaps in anticipation of the magic that is to be performed, or perhaps simply cheered by the mug of beer in her hand.
<Ughiva> Are you ready to have a lesson today?
<Daifan> yes.
<Ughiva> The others will gather in a little while, so we can begin our working. I thought in the meantime, I could tell you a bit more about the way I learned this path.
<Daifan> If nothing else, Im eager to see what we can accomplish
* Ughiva nods
<Daifan> I would love to hear more.... I can't imagine how you even came up with the idea to try something like this @_@
<Ughiva> I think I told you once that I didn't have a teacher, which is true in one sense, and false in another sense.
<Ughiva> I didn't have a teacher in the way that you have a teacher - a kind, benevolent person who would sit and explain things to me, correct me when I make mistakes, and so on.
* Ughiva says with a chuckle
<Daifan> pfft
<Daifan> but there was someone?
<Ughiva> Well, the idea for this kind of magic didn't simply spring into my mind one day all on its own.
* Daifan nods
<Ughiva> Our aizer was in an area of rocks and hills, not good for growing much, but good enough for goats.
* Daifan will find somewhere comfortable to settle in, and maybe see if there is any more of that beer around
<AshnabisNarrator> You can certainly find some beer to partake of while you get settled.
<Ughiva> I was out late looking for one of my goats that hadn't come back with the others. It was getting dark, especially in the valleys between the hills, and my good sense said that I should probably head back, but I was stubborn and kept searching.
* Daifan smirks a little at that
<Ughiva> There was a cave in the hills that everyone avoided - they called it the witches' cave. If there was a reason for that name, it had been forgotten many years ago. People just told of it being a bad place to go, maybe haunted. I wasn't thinking about that then, just of finding my goat and getting home.
<Daifan> (does she use witch or folfi?)
<AshnabisNarrator> In that case, she used witch.
<Ughiva> I heard the goat bleating and followed the sound into the cave. It was dark, very dark inside, and I took some fos, just enough to be able to make a light.
<Daifan> so you already used some magic?
<Ughiva> Yes - this was after we had found the fos, but we were all still quite cautious in making use of it. Still, most of us carried a little with them when going out of the aizer, in case of need.
<Daifan> I don't think I ever saw any at home
<Ughiva> Well, the way we came upon it was another strange story.
<Daifan> Mmmhmmm. I am interested in that one too.... but tell me about the cave :x
* Ughiva nods
<Ughiva> So, I had entered into the cave, taking a little bit of fos as I did so. But before I could use it, out of the dark, I started to see little lights that I hadn't made. Little green glowing flames, all around me.
<Ughiva> Then suddenly I saw a woman - green and glowing, like the lights. She looked young, pretty, but I felt sick just seeing her. Like I knew there was something unnatural about her.
<Daifan> a ghost?
<Ughiva> Maybe. I don't know what she was, but she wasn't a living person.
<Ughiva> She reached out her hand towards me and some of the green light flowed out from her and hit me in the chest.
* Ughiva mimics the gesture, holding out her hand.
<Ughiva> It hurt, but not like fire. I thought I was probably about to die. I remember thinking it was so stupid, to die for a lost goat, and I laughed at how pointless it all seemed.
<Daifan> that sounds right.
* Daifan smirks again
<Ughiva> I think the laugh might have been what saved me. Or maybe the fos I had in my system. In any case, she didn't kill me, although I believe she could have. Instead, she spoke to me. Her words were old, but I could make them out well enough.
<Ughiva> She said that since I was brave or foolish enough to laugh in the face of death, she would teach me a lesson instead.
<Ughiva> Her hand went into my chest, through me, and for a moment I felt like I was part of something bigger. Like I was feeding her power, as she drained the fos out of me, but also like the energy was spread out through me and all the other little green lights...I wonder if maybe they were people who had fallen victim to her before, but I don't know.
<Ughiva> I must have blacked out then, because the next thing I remember was stumbling back into the aizer the next morning. Kida was frantic with worry because I'd been gone all night.
* Ughiva says with a smile to her beloved, who nods in agreement.
<Ughiva> The goat had come back on its own, too, hours before... stupid creature.
<Daifan> they are like that.
<Ughiva> I was sick for a week afterwards, just drained and exhausted, so that I could hardly get out of bed.
* Daifan nods
<Ughiva> But I remembered how that felt - to be a part of that circle, to share energy between many, to give power to another. I began to think, could I do that too, if I tried? Not that I wanted to harm my friends, of course, but to take just a little from each... And there was fos to experiment with, as long as I was cautious...
* Daifan nods
<Ughiva> It took some time to convince any of the others to try this method, and I didn't know what I was doing at first, but then it began to come to me - the strands of energy that united us, that I could draw on to increase my ability.
<Daifan> but you do think it is because we are budal?
* Ughiva considers that.
<Ughiva> I think it's possible the woman I saw was - or had been - budal, but then I also think perhaps she could have made herself look like anyone she wanted. Maybe she was imitating me because she knew what I was.
* Daifan nods
<Ughiva> I think that the strength of our ties to one another give us an advantage in this type of spellcasting. Maybe someone else could learn it, but I wouldn't teach it to them - they don't need more tools to use against us.
<Daifan> The Corps would say she could not be budal because we don't have souls like they do.... but they're wrong.
* Ughiva nods
<Ughiva> They're wrong about a lot of things.
* Ughiva says with a shrug.
<Daifan> they really are.
<Ughiva> I don't know why she didn't kill me, and I don't know if what I learned came more from her - from things she might have done or shown me that I no longer remember - or from myself.
<Ughiva> I like to think it was myself - that I developed it because of that experience, but not that she told me how. In which case, I think it is bound up in my nature, because I am budal, that I was able to find this method.
<Ughiva> But it may always be a mystery.
* Daifan nods
<Ughiva> It's not as if I can go back to that cave anytime soon to ask.
<Daifan> No, indeed not.
<Daifan> And it is a good story
<Daifan> They should be telling it in our aizers a hundred years from now
* Ughiva smiles at that
<Ughiva> Perhaps they will.
<Ughiva> Now, I think enough are gathered and ready that we can begin the weather spell.
* Daifan will finish their beer then
<Daifan> Alright then.... show me what we need to do :x
* Ughiva gathers the assembled group of about a dozen or so people together in a circle, making sure each has several doses of fos ready as they join hands.
* Ughiva begins to cast the spell, gathering the power that is shared among the circle. You can feel a similar sensation to when you helped in casting the spell at Galdai's estate - a feeling of union with the others, with Ughiva drawing on your combined power as you support her.
<AshnabisNarrator> The spell takes about ten minutes to complete, and when it is done, Ughiva sits back, seemingly satisfied, although you see no immediate change in the weather - it remains as hot and dry as ever.
<AshnabisNarrator> After about another ten minutes, though, you feel a shift in the air - a drop in pressure, perhaps, followed by the sudden rumble of thunder. The sky darkens swiftly as clouds roll in, and soon the rain begins to fall in heavy torrents.
* Daifan smiles, eventhough they are quickly soaked to the skin
* Ughiva stands out under the downpour for a little while, laughing, while everyone else celebrates the much-needed rain.
* Daifan is very happy to celebrate also, wth everyone else :3
<AshnabisNarrator> The rain keeps up for a full day, and covers an area of a couple of miles, centered on Banei.
* Ughiva can do that again every day or two, for as long as people are willing to keep supplying her with the needed fos, and this seems to greatly improve the disposition of many people in the village towards her.
<Daifan> (I'm a genius ;)

Gefraz and Katenzhi make plans to visit his family and secure their blessing for the match


<AshnabisNarrator> Katenzhi, your parents are delighted with the match you've made with Gefraz Argolda. Maybe almost as delighted as you will be to have them off your back!
<AshnabisNarrator> However, before the arrangement can be finalized, it needs to be approved by his family and lineage elder back in Choradan. Until that is settled, you can't quite stop worrying that it might still all fall apart.
* Ughiva is now known as Gefraz
* Gefraz asks you to join him for dinner one evening at his home.
* Katenzhi will do so readily. If nothing else he has good wine.
* Gefraz has not actually cooked said dinner, but has brought in a good selection of prepared foods from some of the nearby vendors - some grilled sausages, steamed squashes seasoned with salt and spices, warm flatbreads, and an assortment of small, tart yellow plums.
* Gefraz also has a bottle of wine on hand, so that surely helps ;)
<Gefraz> Good evening, Katenzhi - I hope this is to your liking?
<Katenzhi> Hello again. This looks great :)
* Gefraz seems proud of his ability to provide a decent meal for you :)
<Katenzhi> I could get used to this!
<Gefraz> I hope so.
<Gefraz> I've been giving some thought to how we might be able to take care of several issues at once.
* Katenzhi laughs.
<Katenzhi> Oh?
<Gefraz> A trip back to Choradan by boat would take a substantial length of time - too long for either of us to be away from our businesses right now, certainly.
<Gefraz> But there are other options, if we're willing to expend some money.
* Katenzhi raises an eyebrow.
<Katenzhi> Like magical options?
<Gefraz> There's a woman named Uzeld Nampai who hires herself out to transport people or goods back and forth from Choradan, using magic. It isn't cheap, but it would be fast - we could be there and back within a few days.
<Katenzhi> Huh... Is she a mystic?
<Gefraz> Yes, that's correct.
<Katenzhi> If I knew Choradan better I could do it myself, but... I haven't been there since I was a child. I'd be just as likely to drop us in the ocean.
<Katenzhi> Hmmm
<Gefraz> We would need to bring at least your father along with us - maybe both your parents, if they wanted? But your father would be needed to finalize the arrangements with my family.
* Katenzhi nods, considering.
<Gefraz> And of course, while we were there, we could also take the opportunity to introduce you and Divrola, and make sure the plan is all right with her too.
<Katenzhi> How much is she asking?
<Gefraz> It would cost us 150 horns each way. I can come up with two-thirds of that, if you and your family could cover the other third.
<Gefraz> Of course, assuming the agreement is finalized, your family would be more than repaid for the costs.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> Of course. I don't think that would be a problem. I have some savings I can dip into if it helps to move things along and I'm sure my parents will be eager to help. And once we're there I can get a feel for the place and if we need to go back I can take us myself.
* Gefraz nods, smiling.
<Gefraz> Wonderful! Assuming we can manage the cost, then, we could leave in a few days' time, if that isn't too much of a rush?
<Gefraz> I know you might want a little time to prepare - to talk to your parents and other kin, at least. And if you have any, ah, clothing or jewelry or anything else that you want to pack before meeting my parents and the rest of my lineage...
* Katenzhi frowns a bit at that.
<Katenzhi> Oh... right.
<Katenzhi> I guess I'm not exactly... presentable.
* Katenzhi looks at her worn dashi.
<Gefraz> Well, I think you look fine, myself.
* Gefraz says with a slight smile.
<Gefraz> But my parents will want to see the best possible impression each of us can make.
* Katenzhi laughs.
<Katenzhi> Careful, you'd think you were trying to court me or something.
* Gefraz chuckles.
<Katenzhi> But I do know someone who might be able to help with that.
<Katenzhi> They know clothes a lot better than I do.
<Gefraz> I merely mean, I don't think you are ... unpresentable, by any means. But expectations in Choradan, and in my family in particular, may be different.
* Gefraz says a bit awkwardly.
<Katenzhi> Yeah, fancy people, fancy clothes. I'm not dumb enough to think I can go there looking like this. I'm just hoping I don't say anything too stupid while I'm there.
<Gefraz> I can try to help prepare you for the experience as well, if you wish. At least, I know my family better than anyone, so I can give some ideas of topics to discuss and those to avoid, for instance.
<Katenzhi> I would be hugely appreciative.
<Gefraz> Well - they definitely want me to marry, so I think they'll be happy to meet you no matter what, but I can try to make the whole event go smoothly as much as possible.
* Katenzhi smiles.
<Katenzhi> I like to think I'm something of a gem even if I'm a bit roughly cut and unpolished.
<Gefraz> There's a great deal to like about you. I mean for them to like.
<Gefraz> Of course there are many things to like about you in general, but they'll be particularly pleased with your business foundation and prospects in that regard.
* Katenzhi laughs.
<Katenzhi> I hope so.
<Katenzhi> And my parents are already in love with you ;)
<Katenzhi> You do have many excellent qualities. Including your taste in wine and food.
* Gefraz smiles at that.
<Gefraz> My family are a lesser branch of the Argolda lineage. To finalize the agreement, we need not only their consent, but that of the lineage elder, my grandfather's cousin Demis.
<Katenzhi> Are they likely to grant it?
<Gefraz> I think if my father and mother and immediate family agree, he will likely also agree, provided nothing goes terribly wrong. Honestly he has enough nieces and nephews and grandchildren and so on that the marriage of any individual one of us is probably not his highest concern, but you never know.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> I'll try not to put my foot too badly in my mouth.
<Katenzhi> I'm looking forward to meeting Divrola, too. I hope we can get off on the right foot. It's important to me that she be a part of this.
<Gefraz> I think she'll like you, once she has a chance to get to know you. But it might be best if I go see her before you do, so I can explain things ahead of time.
<Katenzhi> Right. That makes sense.
<Gefraz> And... well, I would like the chance to see her privately, of course.
<Katenzhi> Of course.
<Katenzhi> Do you want to go out a few days before me?
<Gefraz> The cost would be increased, so I think it is not worth it. If we need to take a little while to prepare once we get there, I'm happy to suggest an inn you and your family can stay at until we're ready to proceed.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> Works for me.
<Gefraz> For that matter, if your parents have any business dealings they wish to conduct, or goods to procure, we can allow time for that as well.
<Katenzhi> Oh I'm sure they will. I might even want to do some shopping while we're there.
<Katenzhi> It's not every day I get to see my homeland again.
<Gefraz> There are certainly many things that are more difficult to obtain here, that can be found readily in Kindi Nasku.
<Gefraz> (did you have more questions for him? we can assume he can give you a rundown on his family and who is who and so on, which I can make up and let you know about later ;)
<Katenzhi> (That sounds good :) I think we're good for now.)
<Katenzhi> (We can enjoy the wine and food:3 )
<AshnabisNarrator> (cool - if you want to do shopping/makeover times with Daifan, you can if you both have time now, or otherwise later I'm sure :)
<Katenzhi> (Cool)

Widiil comes to Junan with concerns about her missing nephew


<AshnabisNarrator> Lately, Junan, there have been a lot of Malfanders in the taverns - you're not sure why. You never really learned any Malfander music growing up - you always thought of Daligash's southern neighbors as a bunch of rural bumpkins without much art.
<AshnabisNarrator> But the prospect of paying customers has inspired you to learn a few tunes, and so you're retuning your lute to the strange, almost offputting intervals you need for these ballads to make sense, and getting ready to spend a quiet night in, practicing.
<AshnabisNarrator> That is, until, a couple hours after dark, there is a quiet but firm rapping noise at your door.
* Junan sighs at the interruption
* Junan goes to open the door while talking at the same time
<Junan> Who's there?
<AshnabisNarrator> You see that it is Widiil Laulida, the mystic from Charadip who has been holed up in Fort Kaskind, presumably since you talked to her last a couple of months ago.
* Widiil is a small, thin, dark-skinned woman, perhaps around forty, with her hair in tight complex black braids across her scalp. She is wearing a plain brown dashi and a lightweight black shawl.
<Widiil> Junan Ghez. I apologize for my intrusion on your evening. I would speak with you on a matter of grave importance.
<Junan> well if its of grave importance, you'd best step inside.
* Junan will let her in
<Widiil> Thank you.
* Widiil steps inside, removing the shawl from over her head and lowering it to her shoulders.
* Junan will pick his lute off his chair and offer it to her
<Junan> I have some wine if you care for some
<Widiil> Perhaps just a small glass, yes.
* Junan will half fill one of his cups and give it to her
<Widiil> Thank you for this kindness.
* Widiil sips the drink slowly.
<Widiil> I have a nephew, Atsusei, my older brother's son. Like you, he is an envoy. I am trying to find him, but I have not been successful.
* Widiil says cautiously.
<Junan> (have I ever heard of him?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (you can roll k: local I guess?)
<Junan> !roll 1d20+11
* Daifan rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 25 ].
* @Lan-werk rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 14 ].
<AshnabisNarrator> (we'll take the first roll ;)
<AshnabisNarrator> You believe you recall the name, although he's not someone you know well. You met him briefly at the nambimoshe, one of the envoys from Charadip, but you really don't remember much about him other than him being a man around 30 or so.
* Junan will give her a quick description
<Junan> That Atsusei?
<Widiil> That's him, yes.
<Widiil> You know him?
<Junan> I briefly met hit at the nambimoshe, so I know what he looks like.
* Widiil nods
<Widiil> He is a good man, but not one possessed of great sense. I come to implore you for your help.
<Junan> is he supposed to be in Kaskind?
<Widiil> Well, for some time now, he has been serving at the Academy. Mystics have less need for envoys than do ordinary folk, but still there are times when their services are useful.
<Widiil> I do not normally inquire much into his work, but I know that he was communicating with the envoys at the new kelta here, up to and perhaps even after the point of your meeting with the mystics there, although he was not one of those directly in attendance at that negotiation as far as I know.
<Junan> I should have seen him if he was, and I did not.
<Junan> at least directly involved in the negotiations
* Widiil nods
<Junan> It should be easy enough to enquire at the kelta if he has been visiting though
<Widiil> Normally I communicate with him in one way or another every week or so. But recently, I have tried to send him magical messages, with no response. I have tried to scry on him, with no success. All my efforts have failed. So ... either he is being held in some place where he cannot be reached magically, or he is dead.
<Widiil> I fear that this may be my fault. When I left the Academy's security, I did not anticipate that the consequences would pass beyond my own self.
<Widiil> There are many forces among your people who seek war. I know that you have worked hard to prevent war, but your efforts may be fruitless. Atsusei knew, as I had come to know, that some regarded it as an inevitability to be hastened. And he knew that I despised it, that I saw nothing in it to be gained for Aummesh people.
<Widiil> That is why I left. Not out of loyalty to Kaskind, but simply out of an unwillingness to serve forces that would lead to war in this land.
<Junan> Killing an envoy isn't likely to win any allies
<Junan> and the Ruur operation has likely diffused some of the tentions
<Widiil> Perhaps. The last time I spoke with him, Atsusei was working with your kelta, with the envoys there, but not, I think, on a cause of peace. He was sorely disturbed, I know that.
<Junan> That is troubling
* Junan rubs his chin
<Junan> (Do I get a sense she is being honest with me, or is this a setup?)
<Widiil> (you can roll sense motive)
<Junan> !roll 1d20+14
* @Lan-werk rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+14 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 14 ] totals [ 26 ].
* Widiil seems to be telling the truth, but perhaps leaving some things out, or at least trying to get a sense of what she can safely share with you.
<Junan> If something clandestine is going on, Zefa is not likely to be very forthcoming with me... we don't really see eye to eye.
<Widiil> What do you think of Zefa? Is she the kind of person who would do harm to a fellow envoy in order to preserve her own plans, or her own skin?
<Junan> It's a difficult question you ask. Even if Zefa and I are not friends, we are both still envoys.
* Widiil nods
<Junan> I can tell you what I know. Zefa has very little respect for the envoys in Kaskind, so much so that she plays short sighted games to slight them.
<Widiil> I understand that envoys share a common bond, but... there must be cases, situations, where that bond is strained, or even broken, in service to another cause.
* Widiil nods, listening
<Junan> And the previous owner of the land she has built the kelta was a prospector who died with a pitch fork in his back.
* Widiil frowns at that.
<Widiil> You believe she was responsible for that death, in some way? even if perhaps not the hand that held the weapon?
<Junan> Lets just say if such a truth were to come out, you would not color me surprised.
<Junan> I know this isnt reassuring to you for Atsusei
<Widiil> This gives me greater concern for Atsusei's safety. I had hoped - perhaps - that the best possible option was that he was being held by the Academy, in a secure location where I couldn't reach him. This news makes me fear the worst, however.
<Junan> my hope is that you can feel that I can truely represent your interest here.
<Junan> and in doing so, you can trust me
* Widiil nods slowly.
<Widiil> He is a stout-hearted man, and honest - if he learned of some information that he felt was wrong or dangerous, I feel he would have tried to tell someone of his fears, but perhaps he trusted in the wrong person to tell.
<Junan> I'm no warmonger
<Junan> I want peace. I want to save lives.
<Widiil> Then we share that much, to be sure.
<Widiil> The mystics - not all mystics, perhaps, but enough - regard themselves as being truly special. We see our unique connection to Source as evidence that we are not bound by the rules that govern you. That can lead to arrogance.
<Widiil> They would have believed - they do believe - that when there is war, they will inevitably win, because they simply have too much power. I don't know - they may be right. I have to hope that they are wrong, however.
<Widiil> If there cannot be peace, then I at least hope for a swift resolution and a defeat of my former colleagues.
<Junan> My hope was to not give Charadip a reason to unite... a lack of a common threat, so that the internal devisions would split them into inaction.
* Widiil nods
<Widiil> It might still transpire. I cannot believe that all of them are so greedy for power and control over this land that they would sacrifice so many lives to make it happen.
<Widiil> If you are able to learn anything of what might have happened to my nephew, I would be very grateful for any information you can bring me. And if there is anything I can do for you in return... please let me know.
<Junan> Have you told me all he said to you? The less surprises the better when dealing with this.
<Widiil> I know he had been bringing messages back and forth between the members of the Academy and the kelta - I presume to Zefa herself, although I am not positive of that. Of course he couldn't tell me in confidence of the contents of the messages.
* Junan nods
<Junan> Its a place to start
<Junan> So are you free to roam from the Fort now, or should I keep this visit discrete?
<Widiil> But I know that whatever it was, he was troubled by them, particularly recently. He said something about the agreement that was made being false or untruthful in some way.
* Junan nods to that comment
<Widiil> I am not a prisoner there, but it's likely in my best interest to remain out of sight - many don't know I'm there, and if word reached too widely, it could be a problem.
<Widiil> If you need to say that I spoke to you, that is fine, however. There are many ways I could have delivered such a message.
<Junan> I can finesse any discussions to limit your involvement.
<Widiil> I appreciate it.
<Widiil> If it does turn out that he is dead... I would want for his body to be recovered, if possible. Then we could at least do the proper rites for him, or even restore him to life if we were fortunate enough that the time was short enough.
<Junan> If you care to stay for a little distration, I am practicing a few new songs... and there is more wine if that is your interest. Heavy times can use some uplifting to help get through them.
<Junan> That needs not be spoken, it is assumed.
* Widiil nods gratefully
<Widiil> Then... thank you, I'll be glad to accept your offer of another drink and some songs. It's been long enough since I've had much to take enjoyment in.
<Junan> I will do my best to make it worth your time.
* Widiil smiles at that.

Solos

Daifan helps Katenzhi find appropriate clothing to meet her potential in-laws


* Katenzhi will meet Daifan at the town square, then on our day off.
* Daifan can then meet you at the boat at a prearranged time, done up in a disguise to they can pass more freely among the shops
<Daifan> (Or in the square. lol, we'll get there ;)
* Daifan waves to make sure Kat recognizes them ;)
<Katenzhi> Heya Daifan! Thanks so much for doing this!
<Katenzhi> I uhhh... I have to admit I'm a bit worried here.
<Daifan> Dont worry, I promise you are in good hands ^-^
<Daifan> So remind me, what are wel looking for, ecactly?
<Daifan> also to day I shoudl be Zola again, so that we won't have any trouble at the shops.
<Katenzhi> Oh, right. Sure. Sorry. Ummm... well, I need to impress Gefraz's parents and lineage elder so I need some fancy new duds and maybe some jewelry? I know fuck all about clothes and manners and shit.
<Daifan> mmmm... and you sid they are Choradani?
<Katenzhi> Yeah. Pretty high class too.
<Katenzhi> I mean they're a minor branch of the family but apparently his cousin is a big shot.
<Daifan> Hmmmm
<Daifan> SSo... suffy formal then
* Katenzhi makes a face.
<Daifan> There are some places here I think hat we can fond the sorts of things that will look right
<Katenzhi> It's gonna be uncomfortable isn't it?
* Daifan considers
<Daifan> We'll strike a balance. YOu need to show that you understand what they are looking for, but you are still your own person, and you're not really from there
* Katenzhi nods.
<Katenzhi> That sounds fair.
<Daifan> fortunately you do look very nice in red!
* Katenzhi laughs.
<Katenzhi> Thanks :3
<Daifan> How much time do you have to prepare this?
<Daifan> me says, considering
<Katenzhi> Not long. A few days.
<Daifan> OKay, then I have a better plan
<Katenzhi> Better than wearing clothes?
<Daifan> We will go look at what is available here, and figure out what you like from it.... and then we will get nice lighter fabrics and I will take you hoem to meet one of my roommates and she will make you somethin wuth that that will be *perfect*. I know she has been looking for work, and she likes these kinds of challenges.
* Daifan smirks at that though
<Katenzhi> Oh! Sure, we can do that. You think she can have it ready in time?
<Daifan> yes.
<Katenzhi> Ok then. Honestly it'll probably be cheaper that way too. This trip is really gonna cut into my savings already. And I'm happy to help out your friend.
<Daifan> as long as we can get everything to her today, so... lets get shopping :)
* Katenzhi smiles
<Daifan> this is more fun too bcause you get to turn everyone down ;p
<Daifan> or... maybe its just me that enjoys that ;)
* Katenzhi laughs.
<Katenzhi> Ussually Jimba's the one that does the haggling and turning people down.
<Daifan> well, I can manage it for you if you like ^-^
<Katenzhi> Well, you seem to be quite eager ;)
<Daifan> Shopping here is not something I get to do very much.... Though I have gone some with Junan, and that was very delightful :3
<Katenzhi> heh... poor Junan. I still owe him a drink or something for that awkward mess I put him through.
<Daifan> He will happily have a drink with you, I am sure.
<Daifan> Are you happy with this arrangement though?
<Katenzhi> Hey, you're the expert. I'm in your hands today.
<Katenzhi> Or... did you mean the marriage arrangement?
<Daifan> yes.
<Katenzhi> Oh.
<Katenzhi> I'm... not unhappy with it. I mean I barely know him but he seems alright.
<Katenzhi> At least my parents will hopefully leave me alone for a while.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> And it wil let you stay with your sweetheart?
<Katenzhi> Yeah... we're both in similar situations.
<Katenzhi> :/
<Katenzhi> So I guess it works out.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I hope it will.
<Katenzhi> It just feels so... I don't know...
<Katenzhi> Me too.
<Katenzhi> I'll be meeting his... lover? I don't even know what to call her... when we go out there.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Does she know this is coming?
<Katenzhi> I don't think so. News takes a while to get back there. He's gonna meet with her first before he introduces me to her, though.
<Katenzhi> Damn. There's so many things that could go wrong on this trip.
<Daifan> btu they could go right
<Daifan> I wish you the best fortune for everything you are facing
* Katenzhi smiles and puts a hand on Daifan's shoulder.
<Katenzhi> Thanks.
* Daifan makes the little corpsebor fortune handsign with a smile, then stops and makes sure no one was payng attention >.>
* Katenzhi sighs.
<Daifan> what is it?
<Katenzhi> I suppose we should get to the shopping part.
<Daifan> oh yes ^_^ I promise, it won't be as bad as you are fearing.
* Katenzhi grins.
<Katenzhi> Well, at least I have you to protect me.
<Daifan> yes!
<Daifan> I wanted to tell you, also - I have started learning to use magic from Ughiva
<Katenzhi> Oh! Really? Like the crazy group magic stuff?
<Daifan> yes
<Katenzhi> That's awesome!
<Daifan> you may have heard it rained in Banei the other day...
<Katenzhi> Was that you guys?
<Daifan> not, of course, that I could claim any connection to these things ;)
<Katenzhi> Damn... that's really powerful stuff.
<Katenzhi> That earthquake at the compound... that was something I'd never seen before.
<Daifan> mmhmm. My people have a very strong community, and see it expressed that was.... it was very powerful, as you say.
<Daifan> It is a very special thing to be part of
* Katenzhi nods.
<Daifan> but it is all very new to me
<Katenzhi> It's fun, isn't it?
* Daifan smiles
<Katenzhi> Being able to control the world around you?
<Daifan> it's a little scary, right now.... but easier knowig i am not alone
<Katenzhi> Man, the first time I tried fos I nearly shit myself. But that feeling... it never gets old.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> its a little exhilerating.... but imaging feeling it with so may others @)@
<Katenzhi> Damn... I can't even imagine that. It's such a personal thing, you know? I'd be kinda embarrassed, honestly.
<Katenzhi> Like being at an orgy or something.
* Daifan laughs at that
<Daifan> I wouldn't know about that O:)
* Katenzhi laughs
* Daifan can take you around so we can get a sense of what is in style and what you like, then go get some fabric and stuff.
<Katenzhi> :3
* Daifan can make make up and jewelery a separae trip if Kat doens' have the shopping stamina to do ti all, or at least make sure we get a few driks in after lunch before continuing ;)
* Katenzhi will let them lead her along and nod appropriately at all the fabrics they point out.
* Katenzhi will happily do the jewelry after a few drinks ;)
* Katenzhi will then go back with her to meet spider and get measured for CLOTHES.
* Daifan will give you a fun time and then bring you home to meet the roomies and stuff