Ashnabis session 25

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ashnabis session logs
Previous Session 25 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: January 19, 2020
Fair Cycle date:

The group receive an assignment to go to Ruur and make contact with an informant there


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Ok, first things - the loot list was shared in messenger, if you haven't seen it yet check it out and make a claim on something you want (if anything)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Second - you will be levelling up after this session, wooh!
<Junan> joy
<Katenzhi> Woo!
<Ashnabis_Narrator> ok, let's get started so we can hopefully make it through everything today :)
<Daifan> oooh
<Daifan> I would absolutely take the coin, ftr
<Veznara> Embalming thread for me, obv.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> kk
<Ashnabis_Narrator> I figured that one would be an easy choice :)
<Veznara> :P
<Ashnabis_Narrator> okay - let's get started :)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> It may be the month of Kerai, but the sun still beats down on you as hard as ever, and the patina of thin cracked earth along each path you tread reminds you just how strange the Sestapor is when swampland turns to dry ground.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Kerai is supposed to be better. It ought to be better. But for now, your main solace comes from the rural community of Zhumne, where the priestesses of the Hand from Hasmala use bubun to grow crops of barley in the seasons when it's too dry for fos. The dead, at least, don't object to the dry heat.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Shipments of grain have been coming into town from Zhumne, as well as from communities down the Kaskos, to keep everyone fed well-enough in Kaskind ... for now.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> It's been a week since Lllillilli's wedding, and the events that apparently transpired on the island of Ruur on the same day. There hasn't been any movement or activity on the part of the Fort that you are aware of, although everyone is on high alert, and the few hith often found in Kaskind are largely not making themselves present on the streets.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Despite that, things still mostly continue as normal and you arrive at work for what you have no reason to imagine will be anything other than an ordinary day at the land registry.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Utus calls you into his office almost immediately, though, leading you to think otherwise.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You enter, and see him standing over a map next to none other than General Ghurtai Kiftiga herself.
<Utus> Good, you're here. Come in, sit.
<Katenzhi> O.O
* Daifan will go and sit in their customary coner
* Jimba will head in, stop a moment upon seeing the General, then greet her formally.
* Junan nods to himself
* Veznara enters and sits as directly, nodding silently in greeting to the General
* Katenzhi will stand at the back as usual.
<Utus> First of all, thank you for your recent work. I trust that the material that was distributed to you after your last mission has been received in good order?
* Junan finds a seat
<Veznara> Yes, thank you, Commissioner.
* Utus nods
<Utus> You will need to prepare for a trip of some unknown duration. A few days, at least.
<Jimba> Where to, sir?
<Utus> Officially, you are going to be travelling south, along the coast, to survey an area for potential future expansion of fos farming.
<Utus> In actuality you will be assisting the General on a mission of critical importance to the survival of this territory.
* Utus turns it over to the general.
<Ghurtai> Good morning.
* Ghurtai walks over and points to the map.
<Junan> Morning General
<Veznara> Good morning, General.
<Ghurtai> Here you can see a map of the island of Ruur. At the south, the town of Naguur, which has long been home to Yeggun Shotser and the Cormorant Fleet. And at the north, Pashas, inhabited by both human and hith and claimed by the king in Sulise as part of his realm.
* Llillilli frowns.
<Ghurtai> As you are surely aware, an attack six days ago by the Cormorants has led to Pashas being sacked and a Choradani banner raised there.
<Ghurtai> Of course, it's all nonsense. A game of some sort, a false flag, intended to sow chaos among our allies and weaken our resolve.
<Ghurtai> And while Pashas is not our territory, we hear that much damage was done there, in our name. And I will have none of it.
<Daifan> (....does she believe that?)
<Veznara> (Yeah, can I SM on her for whether she's lying?)
<AshnabisGM> (sure)
<Llillilli> (same)
<Junan> (everyone!)
<AshnabisGM> (why the hell not)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+11
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 25 ].
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+13
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 29 ].
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+6
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 24 ].
<Junan> !roll 1d20+12
* Lan-werk rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 22 ].
<Jimba> !roll 1d20
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20 ] getting [ 16 ].
<Ghurtai> (as far as you can tell she definitely believes that)
<Ghurtai> Because you have expertise and contacts in the area, you will be returning to Pashas to assist in resolving this situation by gathering critical intelligence.
<Jimba> That's good to hear, but what help are we going to offer?
<Jimba> Ah.
<Jimba> Anything in specific?
<Llillilli> They don't want us there.
<Llillilli> Last time we went they put a hole in our boat.
<Jimba> They want the Cormorants there less.
* Llillilli makes a face
<Ghurtai> As I understand your report from the last visit, the lineage elder there helped you after that incident?
<Llillilli> The lineage elder is one person
* Ghurtai nods.
<Ghurtai> Of course.
<Ghurtai> We do want a full report on the state of the town and its populace. Our ordinary lines of communication are highly tenuous right now.
<Llillilli> If you think the people of PAshas are going to open their hearts to us because he says so, or fall over in gratitude for our 'help...'
* Llillilli grimaces again, and crosses her arms.
<Ghurtai> That is not the goal.
<Jimba> I don't believe that's what the general said.
<Ghurtai> What we really hope to know is what the Cormorant Fleet is aiming at, through this endeavour.
<Llillilli> Gathering intelligence. Sure.
<Ghurtai> For some time now, we have had an informant within the Cormorant Fleet, a ... friend of a friend, I suppose you might say. A young Osnabi man by the name of Aptan Gadali.
<Ghurtai> We contacted him by means of magic recently, and have learned that the Cormorants have taken over most of the town, especially near the inn and docks. No one is permitted to enter or leave by the port itself. The townsfolk there are coooperating with Yeggun out of fear, naturally.
<Ghurtai> Our magical communications are limited to very short missives, however.
<Ghurtai> Troublingly, most of the hith who were living in the town have left, presumably for other parts of their kingdom. We have reached out to King Whuthe, but so far, we don't know much about how the hith are dealing with this.
* Daifan frowns at that
<Jimba> I'm sure we'll find out soon enough, but perhaps information can help coordinate a response that doesn't escalate matters.
<Ghurtai> You will be going to make contact with our man in the fleet, to learn more about what is going on there, and to provide any aid as needed in the moment, while remaining undetected by the Cormorants. Aptan has been informed to expect a team.
<Jimba> Where are we supposed to meet him?
<Ghurtai> He has instructed you to meet at something called the Statue of Harmony, after dark?
* Junan nods
<Ghurtai> I understand of course that you may require additional supplies. The quartermaster at the fort can provide whatever you need: fos, tools, whatever.
<Ghurtai> What I cannot provide is much time to prepare. I will need you to depart as soon as feasible.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Jimba, you recognize the name Aptan - this is Liraula's nephew whom she mentioned to you.
<Jimba> (right)
* Veznara nods
<Jimba> Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I can be ready to go pretty quickly.
* Llillilli grunts irritably
<Junan> so get there, find the lay of the land, locate the contact, get the information... anything else?
<Ghurtai> As I say, any assistance that is needed that you can provide, please do. We are not in a situation yet where sending true relief shipments is possible. Since the port itself is blocked, of course you will need to find a way there that is unobtrusive.
* Katenzhi will definitely take them up on fos supplies.
* Jimba nods.
<Ghurtai> Any further questions?
<Katenzhi> We'll do our best, but with all respect general, we're surveyors, not spies.
<Llillilli> Pashas is a sensitive place even under good circumstances.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Ghurtai> Based on your recent work, I have great confidence in your team.
* Llillilli snorts
* Katenzhi grins at that.
* Jimba barely manages not to snicker.
<Katenzhi> We'll do what we can.
* Daifan nods
<Utus> Thank you.
<Junan> we'll be fine. Worst comes to worst, we're surveyors blown of course and trying to resupply.
<Jimba> Anything we can do to help the people of Pfaeshes, we will.
<Ghurtai> All right then, dismissed!
* Jimba nods respectfully and will take his leave.
* Veznara nods, stands, and goes off to prepare...
* Junan nods and will head out as well
<Jimba> (To Kat and Lllillilli when they're out of the office) Can you two get the ship ready? I need to make a stop before we head out.
* Llillilli needs nothing and so goes back to the boat.

Llillilli lets Whellae know they can give her a ride back to the island


<AshnabisGM> Llillilli, it's been a wild week since your wedding. Thelef is now safely ensconced at the court in Sulise, where he will be for a while, at least.
<AshnabisGM> One unexpected complication of the attack on Pfaeshes has been that Whellae, who was at your wedding as a guest, has been unable to return.
<AshnabisGM> She's been staying locally at a tavern for a few days, trying to get information about how she can return home to Ruur.
<Llillilli> (oh no :
<)
<Llillilli> (well I guess I'll go tell her then)
<AshnabisGM> (seems like the thing to do)
* Ghurtai is now known as Whellae
<Llillilli> (she doesn't live right in Pfaeshes iirc?)
<AshnabisGM> (correct, just outside the town)
* Llillilli finds WHellae at the tavern.
* Whellae smiles when she sees you.
<Llillilli> Got news.
<Whellae> From home?
<Llillilli> Not exactly. The land office wants us to go to to Pfaeshes and see what's going on.
<Llillilli> We can't go into the port but Jimba will figure that out.
<Llillilli> So, if you want to go back, we can take you. It may be dangerous though.
* Whellae considers briefly.
<Whellae> I'll come. If it's truly that dangerous, I'll stay out of town entirely.
* Llillilli nods.
<Llillilli> Get your things then.
<Llillilli> Jimba wants to leave right away. I'm supposed to be getting the boat ready.
<Whellae> I ... don't have things. But I can help with the boat.
* Llillilli nods.
* Llillilli will lead her to the boat, then.

Daifan pays a visit to Balinteze before their departure


<Balinteze> (So, you want to go see them prior to the mission to Ruur?)
<Daifan> (yeah. I have probably been putting off talking to them about other stuff anyway, but hey)
* Daifan will see if they can track them down unobtrusively, since they are proooobably at work? :x
* Balinteze is indeed probably working, but they can take a break to talk to you for a bit :3
* Daifan will trust them to find somewhere sufficiently private :x
* Balinteze can take you to a quiet storeroom for a chat
<Daifan> Hi - I'm sorry to bother you when you are working.... thanks for slipping away
<Balinteze> did you get today off work and decide to surprise me?
* Balinteze asks hopefully, with a smile
<Daifan> No... the opposite - we're being sent away for a few days, and I just have a little time to gather what I need before we go :/
<Balinteze> ah, too bad.
<Balinteze> is there anything I can help with? or you just wanted to say goodbye before you left?
<Daifan> mmmmm, well....
<Daifan> Both? ^_^
<Daifan> But - they're sending us to Ruur.
<Daifan> I thought you might want to know, too
* Balinteze smiles at that, but the smile fades on hearing that news.
<Balinteze> That sounds risky.
<Daifan> We've been there before, and Llillilli has connections there now, I guess? Since she got married last week.
* Balinteze nods
<Daifan> They want us to snoop around
<Daifan> Find out what we can about what is happening
<Balinteze> Be careful. I don't know what exactly is going on there, but I can guess that the Cormorant fleet aren't going to take kindly to strangers.
<Daifan> no, they won't, but we have some kind of inside contact we will be meeting
<Balinteze> someone inside the fleet?
<Daifan> I assume so
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> I think Jimba knows who they are
<Balinteze> huh. well, that's good - better than going in totally unawares, anyway.
<Daifan> I was wondering.... I do't expect I woudl reallyb need it, but just in case, If I could maybe borrow that mask you lent me before...
<Balinteze> Oh, sure. I don't think I'll need it in the next few days.
<Daifan> I hopefully won't either but it could be useful....
* Balinteze nods
<Balinteze> it's in my room. Want to walk over there and get it?
<Daifan> maybe I'll be more useful this time... I got so nervous when we were at the inn that I forgot to pay attention as closely as I could have....
<Daifan> can we?
<Balinteze> sure
<Daifan> I don't want to cause trouble for your cover :3
<Balinteze> I'm just helpfully showing some corpseborn servant around, no one will notice ;)
<Daifan> okay
* Daifan will give them a quick kiss before we leave this secluded storeroom though, if they are amenable ^_^
* Balinteze is quite amenable to this idea :3
<Daifan> back to your room then? I have a bit more time.... and it isn't like I can make it all the way home and back...
<Daifan> >:)
* Balinteze smiles at that
<Balinteze> Sure, I can take a little break
* Balinteze will gladly accompany you back to their room
* Daifan will go with them, but falls into a more thougtful and less flirty mood along the way
* Balinteze will get the mask for you once you're safely in their room.
<Balinteze> Here you go...
<Daifan> Thanks...
* Daifan takes it
<Daifan> I just realized....remembered? I have some other things I wanted to tell you about
<Balinteze> oh?
<Daifan> they are less fun than just making out unti I have to go though :/
<Balinteze> all right... what is it?
<Daifan> mmm....
* Daifan will curl up on their bed
<Daifan> (like, hugging thier knees)
<Daifan> do you want the more or less personal thing first?
* Balinteze comes to sit beside you
<Balinteze> Less. I guess.
<Daifan> Mmhmm. Well. I talked to Wolf and.... things are bad out there. Already one of the women is pregnant
* Balinteze sighs.
<Balinteze> We need to stop this. I just ... want to do it in a way that doesn't wind up getting any of them - or us - killed :/
<Daifan> she said the proncess has been orturing them using magic, too, to make them do what she wants, and doing other things....
<Daifan> Yes.
<Balinteze> Maybe in the meantime, we could... I don't know, slip them some herbs to help out with that problem.
<Daifan> Thats what I was thinking
<Daifan> But it doens't feel like *enough*
* Balinteze nods
* Daifan sighs
<Balinteze> When you get back, we'll do something. I don't want to sit by and wait for the authorities to decide what to do.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> yes
<Daifan> I tried talking to Veznara but she just wants to keep...waiting. As if there will ever be a *good
* time to act. And meanwhile everything gets worse. :/
<Balinteze> :/
<Daifan> I know that at least someo of the peopel I work with they would be willing to help.but I don't know how to use that
<Balinteze> How long are you going to be gone for? A few days?
<Daifan> I think so. two or three? I gues it depends on how this meeting goes...
<Balinteze> Okay. I'll see what I can come up with in that time, and when you get back, we'll do ... something.
<Daifan> thank you
* Daifan leans against them
* Balinteze puts their arm around you.
<Balinteze> what was the other thing?
<Daifan> Well...... It's Junan
* Daifan glances to see what they think of that
<Balinteze> oh?
<Balinteze> did he make a move, finally?
<Balinteze> or did you have to take charge?
<Daifan> he did!
<Daifan> I was surprised, honestly
* Balinteze chuckles a little at that.
<Daifan> I did't think he really knew what he wanted. He says.... well. he is very passionate, but I don't know how much he has really thought about things, so I am being....careful.
<Balinteze> so, are you seeing him now? or still figuring things out?
<Daifan> I told him that I'm not a girl. But I don't think he really understands. He says he doesn't care, but...well see?
* Daifan smiles shyly, relaxing a little since they aren't telling me I'm a foolish idiot
* Balinteze looks a little more concerned at that, but nods.
<Daifan> Mostly it is just.... slipping away from time to time where there are empty rooms at work >.>
* Balinteze strokes your arm, holding you close.
<Balinteze> I hope he is good to you. If he isn't, I'll ... well, I'll respect your right to deal with stupid hedal boys how you want, but if you give the word, there are lots of places to hide a body.
<Daifan> for an envoy, he is not much of a talker >.>
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> Thank you.
<Daifan> I did tell him I was seeing other people
<Balinteze> He's very cute, so I can imagine talking isn't a big priority ;)
<Daifan> I don't want him to think he can...possess me.
* Daifan grins at that
<Daifan> he is cute, isn't he :3
* Balinteze nods
<Balinteze> very cute :)
<Balinteze> were you worried I would be upset?
<Daifan> I dn't know.... Not that you would be mad but maybe.... you woudl think I'm being foolish.
<Daifan> I'm not sure I'm not being foolish.
<Daifan> He's nice to be with, but then I worry abot all the ways things could go wrong.
<Daifan> and I don't want to just.... unload on you or Moss, either.
<Balinteze> well. It's a risk, but I'm sure you know that. It might turn out wonderfully, or badly. But either way, the risk is part of the fun of it.
<Balinteze> And it's not my job to tell you to not live your life in case maybe you get hurt in the process.
<Daifan> Yes.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> And... you've helped me feel so much stronger.... :3
<Daifan> I care about you so much
* Daifan says, looking up at them
<Balinteze> I think you were always strong, but if I help you feel that way, I'm glad.
<Balinteze> And clearly you have good taste ;)
* Balinteze teases gently
* Balinteze leans down to kiss you.
* Daifan smiles, and kisses back

Jimba meets with Liraula about her nephew


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Okay - let's have a few short scenes before you set off - Jimba, you can look around for Liraula and we'll do that in here, Steve can do something else in gnomeland.
<Jimba> (kk)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> It's easy enough to track her down, with the Black Stork docked in Timiil since the attack on Pashas.
* Jimba will go to find her there, then.
<Liraula> Jimba, it's good to see you. How are you doing?
<Jimba> About as well as anyone right now. Yourself?
<Liraula> I'm all right - concerned, waiting for news, frustrated that I can't do more, but ...
* Liraula shrugs
<Jimba> Well, on that note, I may be able to help.
<Liraula> Oh?
<Jimba> We've been tasked to meet with a contact within the Cormorant fleet. I think you may be familiar with them. ;)
<Liraula> Aptan?
<Jimba> Got it in one.
* Liraula sighs in relief
<Liraula> I'm glad to hear he's all right, foolish boy.
<Jimba> Well, I wouldn't say the storm's passed for him just yet.
<Jimba> If we're to be meeting with him, in an occupied town.
<Liraula> Are you going to bring him back with you?
<Jimba> We weren't told to, but we weren't told not to, either. You want me to try to convince him to come with us?
* Liraula looks like she's ambivalent.
* Jimba shrugs.
<Jimba> I imagine he's more useful to people where he is, so I would think he'll be staying in place.
<Liraula> I guess it's up to him - he'll know better than I do what the situation is there, whether he's safe to stay or not. I worry that he'll be discovered. Yeggun isn't kind to those who betray him.
<Jimba> He's not to kind to the rest of folk, either.
<Liraula> There is also that.
<Jimba> I can't speak to his proper evaluation of them, but I'm sure Aptan knows the risks.
<Liraula> I guess just.. tell Aptan that I'm worried for him. Tell him he can always come back if he wants.
<Liraula> Here, in case you need it to earn his trust, to show you really have spoken to me.
* Liraula takes a turquoise hairpin out of her hair and hands it to you.
<Liraula> He'll know it's mine.
* Jimba will take it carefully.
<Jimba> Thank you.
<Jimba> I'll do my best to not put him in any more danger.
<Liraula> Thank you. And, if you think he's in danger that he doesn't recognize, let him know. Like I said, he might be foolhardy, but he's not an idiot. Maybe he'll listen.
* Jimba nods.
<Jimba> The same's been said of me.
* Liraula smiles at that
<Liraula> Good luck, Jimba - take care. I'll be hoping you come back safely.

Veznara leaves her bubun in Dezmali's care


* Veznara goes to the temple, and approaches Dezmali
* Whellae is now known as Dezmali
<Dezmali> Veznara, good morning.
<Veznara> Good morning, Dezmali. Do you have a moment?
<Dezmali> Yes, of course. Is something the matter?
<Veznara> No, not as such. But I am in a hurry. I've been given an assignment at the Land Registry - I'm going to Pashas.
<Dezmali> Ah, I see ... no, I don't. Why?
<Veznara> We've been asked to find out what's been happening since the recent raids.
<Dezmali> Ah.
<Veznara> That means we need not to attract attention. So I would like to leave the bubun in your care, until I return.
<Dezmali> Of course, naturally.
<Veznara> I also want to check in at the Temple there, if I get a chance. Is there anyone in particular I should talk to?
<Dezmali> The head of the temple there is Shima Heptachei. I understand that lineage is very important there, I think practically everyone in town is named Heptachei. I've only met her once, a tiny woman, very forthright, clear of purpose.
* Veznara nods
<Dezmali> But I don't know her well. She has a complex life there, what with all the followers of the hith sun-god.
<Veznara> Hmmm. I imagine so. I'd love a chance to ask her about that... under better circumstances.
* Dezmali nods.
<Dezmali> Is there anything else?
<Veznara> I'm sure she'll have some insight into what's going on there, then.
<Veznara> No, I think that's it. I should go change. Thank you, Dezmali! I hope I'll be back soon. :/
<Dezmali> Be safe, sister.
<Veznara> Thank you, sister.
* Veznara leaves the bubun in Dezmali's care, and goes to change into inconspicuous traveler's clothes...

The group sail to Ruur and land near Batsrau's home, where he speaks with them about the situation in town


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Once everyone is regathered, you travel out of Kaskind and take a long route out of the town, travelling south by boat for an hour or more to preserve the ruse that you are on a mission for the land registry, just in case you are seen.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> The weather is relatively clear and breezy, and it would otherwise be a pleasant trip.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You come at Ruur from the opposite side, then, moving north along the eastern coast of the island. Soon, you come across the beach where the Firebrand was beached and where you encountered the strange bunyip, and were aided by the local family headed by Batsrau.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Llillilli's friend Whellae is along with you for the trip.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> There is little left of the ship itself, which the family had indicated they were going to set ablaze.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> It would certainly be possible to land here - not easy, perhaps, but feasible for a skilled sailor. It's far enough away from the town that you likely wouldn't be noticed by the pirates and could safely anchor without being detected.
<Junan> (and we know the route back to town)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (yes)
<Katenzhi> This might be a good place to tie up.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Jimba, you could make a Sailing check to see how the approach goes.
<Daifan> maybe we can get some clearler inforation, also
<Daifan> if the family who lives here knows anything about what's been happening in town...
<Jimba> (Can folks aid my check?)
<Veznara> I can check in at the Temple, and see whether they have any important news.
<Katenzhi> (I can)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (yup - in fact, if Kat's score is higher, she can roll and you can assist her. either works :)
<Jimba> (Mine's +9)
<Katenzhi> (+10)
<Jimba> (Then I'll aid, technically)
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 13 ].
<Katenzhi> (Yeesh)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+9
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 11 ].
<Jimba> (Oof. Well, still, adds 2 to yours.)
* Daifan can give you some better fortune? ;p
<Ashnabis_Narrator> It's kind of rough - there are rocks, as you recall from your last time here, and the cove is difficult to navigate safely. You manage to get safely anchored but it's touch and go for a little while, as you get worryingly close to the rocks in the rough currents.
<Jimba> Well, that wasn't fun, exactly, but we're here in one piece. Now let's try to stay that way.
<Jimba> (What time of day is it?)
<Katenzhi> Let's not do that again soon. I don't want to make getting a hole in the boat a tradition here.
* Jimba smiles at that.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> The trip normally takes a couple of hours, it was a little longer than that since you detoured and took a longer route. Let's say it's mid-afternoon by the time you reach shore.
<Llillilli> Are you alright to get home from here?
* Llillilli asks Whellae.
* Dezmali is now known as Whellae
<Whellae> I should be ... I'll take the back ways.
<Llillilli> I could go with you if you want.
<Whellae> No ... your friends need you, esteemed one. If you need me, though, you'll find me at home.
<Llillilli> I'll come check on you.
<Llillilli> Be safe.
<Whellae> You also.
<Jimba> All right, I'm thinking we make our way over, see if we can get a look from a distance, but wait to head into town until after dark?
* Liraula is now known as Batsrau
<Junan> lets find that family you ran into first
<Veznara> Yes, they may have information we can use.
* Batsrau approaches from the direction of his family's house, looking less fearful once he sees who it is.
<Batsrau> Ah, it's you! I was worried it would be some of those pirates.
<Katenzhi> Hello again!
<Daifan> hello :)
<Junan> Nice to meet you. I missed out on our last visit. I'm Junan
<Daifan> we're not pirates.... have they been around here?
* Jimba smiles and waves.
<Batsrau> Not here, but they're in the town.
<Junan> yes, anything you can tell us about what's happened here would be appreciated.
<Jimba> Have they been out this far, or have you been to town?
<Batsrau> I've gone close enough to see, but not into town. I don't need that kind of trouble for me and my family. There were fires, some people were killed I think.
* Llillilli frowns, and looks upset.
<Daifan> oh no...
<Batsrau> I'm hoping that things will calm down. Until then, we're staying out of the way.
<Jimba> That's smart.
<Jimba> I'm glad you and your family are all right.
<Batsrau> What are you here for?
<Katenzhi> Yeah, keep your heads down for now. You should be safe out here.
<Jimba> To get more information. Probably best you don't know more.
<Jimba> Don't want to put you in any danger.
* Daifan nods
<Batsrau> Well... I think the Heptachei lineage house is still standing, or it was a few days ago. Some people who didn't have other places to go were gathering there. It's right on the edge of town, so I could see them.
* Daifan nods
* Jimba nods.
<Batsrau> If you need to get information from people in the town, it's probably the best place to go. They aren't any friends of Yeggun there, for certain.
<Daifan> that sounds promising, f they're taking people in
<Jimba> Thanks.
* Junan nods in agreement
<Batsrau> We have enough food and supplies to last us a while yet, so we'll just keep our heads down and stay indoors, until things seem quieter.
* Katenzhi nods.
<Batsrau> If you follow the road that leads into town, you won't miss it.
<Veznara> Do you know if the pirates are watching that road - if they've posted guards, or anything?
<Daifan> thank you
<Batsrau> I don't think they have. They aren't worried about an approach from that direction.
* Veznara nods
<Katenzhi> Thank you. We'll probably be back this way soon. We'll make sure we don't lead anyone back to you.
<Veznara> Thank you.
<Batsrau> Be safe - they are dangerous.
<Katenzhi> You too.
* Jimba tries to smile encouragingly.
* Batsrau will bid you farewell and head back to his family's house, then.

They go to the Heptachei lineage house and speak with Sileshu about the attack


<Daifan> well.... maybe you can go to the lineage house, and I can see what things are like in town?
<Junan> sounds reasonable.
<Junan> lets get there first
* Daifan nods
<AshnabisGM> The earthen path leading towards the back end of the town of Pashas is fairly easy to pick up, and is reasonably easy to traverse. Out here, there is no sign of anything amiss.
<AshnabisGM> As you approach the town of Pashas, you are able to detect signs of the recent conflict even before you set eyes on it. A smell of smoke lingers over the area despite the sea air, and while previously there were any number of small fishing boats out in the sea near the town, now most are either gone or docked.
<AshnabisGM> Even the usual droves of seagulls seem to have vacated the area for the time being, lending an eerie quiet to the town.
<AshnabisGM> The Heptachei lineage house is at the outskirts of town, right along the back path, so it isn't too difficult to reach it without attracting undue attention.
<AshnabisGM> (you can find the map over in roll20 if you want to see it)
<AshnabisGM> It used to stand next to the hith bathing pools, a popular gathering place for the town's hith inhabitants, but as you approach you can see that those structures have been burned down and lie in ashes.
<AshnabisGM> The lineage house itself seems mostly intact, although there are some signs that there was fire damage to its roof that has been hastily patched.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (I put you guys on the previous map of the town, just in case you need a reminder of it)
<AshnabisGM> Standing outside the house are a couple of kids, young teens or so, keeping watch.
<Llillilli> (is one of them Luwhis or wtf his name was)
<AshnabisGM> (Liwhis is not there - these are really younger than he is)
<Jimba> (I guess we go up to them? Y/N?)
* Junan with his hat on will walk forward to the kids
* Daifan can separate to go skulk around town more
<Junan> No need to making a ruckus, were here to help
* Whellae is now known as Kid1
<Kid1> Halt! State your business!
* Kid1 remarks in the most authoritative voice she can muster.
* Katenzhi smirks at the kid.
<Junan> I'm Junan, an Envoy, as you can see and these are my companions. We've visited before.
<Katenzhi> We come in peace.
<Kid1> I see you ... Imperials from Kaskind, no doubt, probably Choradani.
* Llillilli snorts.
* Junan tries not to chuckle at that
<Kid1> What is your business?
<Llillilli> My name is Llillilli. My husband is Thelef Aanilaus and we want to speak to the lineage elder.
<Junan> We are from Kaskind, but no Choradani, I can assure you, or friend of Cormorants
<Jimba> [Hithaeli] Maybe you prefer this?
* Kid1 looks at you suspiciously still, but is surprised, clearly.
<Kid1> All right, you may enter.
<Llillilli> Thanks
* Jimba smiles at them as we enter.
<Junan> Thank you.
* Katenzhi will salute her on the way in.
<AshnabisGM> Inside the lineage house, there are quite a few people gathered. Sileshu, the lineage elder, sits near where his wife Soba lies on a pallet on the floor. She seems to have been injured, with bandages around her arm and torso.
<AshnabisGM> Many of their younger descendants - children and grandchildren, nephews and nieces - cluster near the fire, or at the back of the house trying to get some rest. Everyone seems hushed and anxious. Some have signs of less-severe injuries, cuts and bruises and minor burns.
* Batsrau is now known as Sileshu
* Sileshu stands when you enter, coming closer to see who is there.
<Sileshu> Oh, it's you. How did you get here? did you avoid the Cormorants?
<Jimba> They haven't seen us, no.
* Sileshu nods sadly. He looks exhausted and under great strain, though still with a will to fight.
<Jimba> We were hoping to get some information about what's going on, but, first, is there anything we can do?
* Kid1 is now known as Soba
<Sileshu> If you have healing skill, my wife is badly injured, and there are others with lesser injuries as well.
* Jimba looks at Soba's wounds with concern.
<Jimba> Veznara?
<Soba> You could kill those bastards first. I'll be fine.
* Veznara takes out the healing kit and approaches Soba
* Soba says from her bed, though clearly not fine.
<Veznara> With your permission?
<Llillilli> HOw many are there?
<Jimba> Any particular bastards first?
<Llillilli> Pirates I mean.
* Veznara tends to Soba.
<Soba> Dozens? Less than a hundred.
* Sileshu nods to that.
<Sileshu> Maybe sixty or so, give or take. It's hard to say exactly - everything happened so fast.
<Junan> what exactly did happen?
<Sileshu> The attack was sudden - it took our people by surprise. They approached by sea, landing and sending out raiders to attack. Those who could tried to fight back, but the Cormorants were too many.
<Llillilli> How many ships?
<Sileshu> Six.
<Llillilli> :|
<Llillilli> ANd when... when did the People leave?
<Sileshu> Some people were killed in the initial attack. Lileshi, our strongest thorn, fought bravely but was overwhelmed. My wife Soba was wounded, but she survives.
* Jimba nods.
<Sileshu> We realized that Yeggun's pirates were targeting the hith especially - in the fighting, but also when they burned the pools. Many of the People fled when they realized. Thankfully they have the option to seek safety beneath the sea.
<Sileshu> We helped Huthishu, our solar, to the shore, to make sure that they escaped the attack. I can only pray that they have made it to safety in Sulise.
* Llillilli looks horrified.
<Llillilli> THe pools?
* Sileshu nods
<Jimba> That's...monstrous.
<Llillilli> They are monsters...
<Jimba> Do you have any idea why?
<Sileshu> I'm not sure. Yeggun raised the Choradani flag and called for us to surrender - said that those who didn't resist wouldn't be harmed. Hah. He would as soon kill someone who looked at him the wrong way!
<Sileshu> After the initial fighting was over, those of us who were able took stock of who was alive, who was dead... some are still missing, though I hope that they were able to escape. Some made it to fishing boats and tried to get away. I assume if word reached you in Kaskind, at least a few must have made it.
<Veznara> What of the Temple?
<Sileshu> The Temple is safe - it wasn't a target in the attack.
<Sileshu> For now, Yeggun has set up in the Floating Otter, acting as if he was lord of the town, his sailors all feasting and drinking.
<Llillilli> Of course not.
* Llillilli says bitterly.
<Sileshu> And then... my grandson Liwhis. You can imagine, I suppose, that he thought he could deal with Yeggun's fleet like any other unwanted guests - sabotage their ship so that when next they set sail, they take on too much water and founder.
* Sileshu gives you a look like "I mean... you know."
<Llillilli> Oh no...
<Jimba> What happened to him?
<Sileshu> I'm not certain if he acted alone. Certainly some of his friends were probably also stupid enough to join in his plan. But he alone was caught.
<Llillilli> -_-
<Sileshu> Yeggun keeps him chained outside the Floating Otter. At some point, no doubt, he'll tire of tormenting the boy and hang him, as an example to the rest of the town of what happens to those who try to mess with him.
<Jimba> Is he guarded?
* Sileshu sort of shrugs.
<Sileshu> The pirates come and go from the inn - I don't know if there is a formal guard, but there are many of them about, unless they're asleep or drunk.
* Jimba nods.
<Sileshu> If there's a chance you can rescue him, you would have my deepest gratitude.
<Jimba> Kat, could you do anything about the chains?
<Katenzhi> I can if we can get close enough. But if we do free him, will they hurt others in reprisal?
<Jimba> I was thinking about that. Maybe we can make sure they know it wasn't anyone in town?
<Soba> Or they may simply recapture him. It's a small town, and they know everyone. Also my grandson is an idiot and may decide to try again.
<Llillilli> We could take him back with us
<Katenzhi> We could take him with us.
<Sileshu> I think I and my family will be the most likely suspects, if he's freed. And Yeggun doesn't dare target me - he would lose all chance of controlling the town then.
<Jimba> He's hithkindred, right?
* Sileshu nods
<Jimba> Worse comes to worst, he can escape to the sea, at least for a bit, can't he?
<Soba> He can.
<Jimba> But, if he's willing, we're willing to provide him passage off the island for now.
<Sileshu> If you can get him away, he can choose where to go from there. But he won't be safe if he stays on Ruur.
* Llillilli nods.
* Jimba nods.
<Katenzhi> We'll do what we can.
<Sileshu> Thank you. Don't risk your own lives, though. I have enough on my conscience without also bearing the weight of your deaths too.
<Jimba> Well, anything happens to us, it's our choice, not yours.
<Llillilli> I won't die >:|
<Jimba> Though I assure you we're going to do our very best not to die.
* Sileshu manages a smile at that
<Jimba> Well, I will do my best. Llillilli is making a guarantee.
<Jimba> And I'm supposed to be the foolhardy one.
<Jimba> Is there anything you need? It's a short sail, and we managed to sneak in once.
<Sileshu> Can I offer you something to eat? We don't have very much, but you're guests here - anything we have is yours.

Hiramam arrives to let them know his daughter Ulutse is missing and Katenzhi scries on her


<AshnabisGM> As you talk with Sileshu, the doors to the lineage house open again and a man enters the hall. You recognize him: the smith, Hiramam Meglaar.
* Soba is now known as Hiramam
<Sileshu> Hiramam? Is something wrong?
* Hiramam looks worried and tired, like everyone else.
* Hiramam notes your presence, with a moment of alarm, but then recognizes you ... and still seems confused, but continues.
<Hiramam> My daughter, UIutse, is missing. I haven't seen her in two days. I know she survived the first attack - she hid in the smithy with the rest of us.
* Sileshu looks worried
<Hiramam> She took some of her things and left without telling us. My wife Ripra is beside herself, not knowing where she might have gone.
<Llillilli> What kind of things did she take?
<Jimba> You have no idea where she might have gone to?
<Hiramam> Just ... her own things, some clothes, a little money and food, a couple of pieces of jewellery.
<Hiramam> Ripra is a cousin of Yeggun Shotser - before we were married, she used to sail with his fleet, but she's settled down since then. But I wonder if, knowing of her mother's connection, Ulutse might not have thought to join up with the Cormorant.
* Sileshu frowns at that
* Llillilli grimaces.
<Jimba> Hrm.
<Sileshu> If she has... that is her choice, not one we can change.
<Hiramam> Please, Sileshu, I implore you for your aid.
<Hiramam> I know she is imperfect, I know that she is already twice-born, you have no reason to extend her anything.
<Hiramam> But she is my daughter.
<Hiramam> You know that she was to be huwhi, like you, like your grandson who sits even now in chains. That but for one moment, she would be in Sulise now.
<Sileshu> I have sympathy, Hiramam. But what do you want from me? To know she's safe and with the Cormorants, by her own choice? It might not be possible to recover her, if she's decided to join with our attackers. If it isn't by her own choice, or if she's gone elsewhere, then perhaps it might be possible to locate her.
<Katenzhi> I could try to locate her magically. Or at least what direction she went.
<Hiramam> I would be forever in your debt, good lady.
<Junan> lets find her a quiet corner so she can do her thing
<Sileshu> of course.
<Katenzhi> Yeah. I'll try not to explode anything.
* Katenzhi will find a spot away from everyone and cast Locate Creature on Ulutse.
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+9
* Lan-werk rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 27 ].
<AshnabisGM> You cast your spell. At first, nothing. Then, you sense a signal. She is just off the coast, on the water, not currently travelling. You think if you were down by the port you could figure out which ship she's on.
<Katenzhi> She's... on one of the ships.
<Llillilli> Mmm. :|
<Katenzhi> I'm sorry.
<Hiramam> Can you tell if she's been well-treated?
* Katenzhi shakes her head.
<Katenzhi> Just where she is.
<Hiramam> But alive.
<Katenzhi> Yes.
<Hiramam> Thank you. I ... don't even know your name.
<Katenzhi> Katenzhi. It's no trouble. I wish I could do more.
<Sileshu> Hiramam... I'm sorry. Your daughter may have made a rash choice, but perhaps we can hope she will come to her senses and return one day. She's alive and that is something, at least. While she lives, there's always hope.
<Katenzhi> There is... maybe one other thing I could try.
<Hiramam> Please, anything.
<Katenzhi> Give me a moment, then.
* Katenzhi will try scrying.
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+9
* Lan-werk rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 17 ].
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d100
* Lan-werk rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d100 ] getting [ 54 ].
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d100
* Lan-werk rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d100 ] getting [ 88 ].
<AshnabisGM> (spell's results are delayed for 3 rounds? or fall unconscious for 1 minute?)
<Katenzhi> (Yeah, we'll go with the delay. No need to be dramatic about it ;) )
* Junan will entertain the kids with a few songs and music in the interim
<Hiramam> !roll 1d20+4
* Lan-werk rolls for Hiramam: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 16 ].
<AshnabisGM> After a wait that seems endless, you see a cabin in a ship. Ulutse is there, apparently unharmed, a flask in her hand, drinking merrily away.
* Katenzhi grimaces.
<Katenzhi> She's... being treated well. She's there willingly.
<Katenzhi> But she's safe.
<Katenzhi> I'm so sorry.
* Sileshu puts his hand on Hiramam's shoulder to console him.
<Hiramam> No, no, it's the best I could have hoped for! She has relatives still, in the Cormorant, beyond Yeggun.
<Sileshu> Give my best to your wife. If you need anything, you can always come here.
<Sileshu> And at least you know both of your daughters are safe.

Daifan scouts around the town and sees Liwhis chained up outside the inn


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Okay, let's move over to Daifan. You are looking around the town - anywhere in particular you want to go to?
<Daifan> (Mostly I just want to see if theres more damage elsewhere, get a sense for what the pirate presence is like and where theyre congregating, and see if there are any locals about)
* Daifan will try to be as unobtrusive as possible and is in no particular rush
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Okay. Make a Stealth check and a Perception check, then, as you move around town.
<Daifan> (I don't think I can actally take 20 on this kind of thing, can I?)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+9
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 25 ].
<Daifan> (stealth)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+12
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 13 ].
<Daifan> (perception. lol)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+12
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 14 ].
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Well, you can move around the town undetected (you believe - at least, no one stops you or asks you who you are). So far as you can tell, most locals are staying indoors or out of the way. The pirates are mostly congregated around the area of the inn and the docks. Several of their ships are still anchored at shore here - you count 4.
* Daifan will watch the pirates at the inn for a bit and maybe see if they can hear r see anything useful there, but if not will drift back towards the lineage house
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You can also see, outside the tavern area, a man who is chained to a post. As pirates go by they often take a moment to throw a rock at him or otherwise casually hurt him.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Mostly what you can hear is pirates singing, laughing, loudly talking to one another, drinking, etc. They seem to be having a good time.
<Daifan> (is it anyone I recognize?)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You would have to get closer to recognize him - he's very beat up.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> A young man with dark hair, that's about all you can tell from this distance.
<Daifan> (That's probably worth a closer look)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Ok, you can move closer.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You can get close enough to see that it's Liwhis, the hithkindred who (presumably) tried to sink your boat the last time you were here.
* Daifan sighs a bit, unsurprised
<Ashnabis_Narrator> There doesn't seem to be a formal guard on him, but enough people regularly passing by that you don't think you can get really close to him.
<Daifan> (How is he holding up?)
<Daifan> (at a glance, anyway)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> hm, you can make a Heal check to assess that I guess?
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+13
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 29 ].
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You're not sure how long he's been chained here, but he looks rough. He seems like he has probably been given food and water, at least, but also beaten and badly hurt.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> He could have some broken bones, possibly. Certainly a lot of bruising and cuts and so on.
<Daifan> (well, not much I can do from here)
<Daifan> (ot without a costume change, anyway, and I'll save that for when its darker)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Indeed. You want to go back to the lineage house, then?
* Daifan will watch for a bit, and then head back

They regroup and wait until nightfall, tending to the injured meanwhile


<Ashnabis_Narrator> You can regroup at the lineage house, then, and you have some time before it will be fully dark, when you're theoretically supposed to be meeting Aptan near the statue. The statue is just across the market square from the lineage house, so you should be able to keep an eye out and see when he arrives.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> If you want to take some time to talk before that, feel free :)
<Daifan> (Are they letting me come in? :x)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> I think at this juncture they aren't going to be too picky.
<Daifan> (Nice)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You can sit on the floor ;)
<Daifan> I saw 4 ships in the harbour.... mostly the pirates are hanging around the docks, and the inn.
<Daifan> They have Liwhis chained out outside though :|
* Daifan will tell folks form the party
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> So we heard... apparently he tried to sabotage a ship, but was caught. :/
<Veznara> They're staying well away from the Temple of the Hand, then? I could go and ask for news, but I don't know whether they'd be able to tell us much more than we've learned already.
<Junan> we should wait for our contact, see if we can help the poor misguided youth, then get away from here so we dont bring down more trouble on these folks
<Jimba> Junan's right.
<Jimba> There's only so much we can do.
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> In the meantime, I'll continue to tend to these people as well as I can.
* Junan nods
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I can help wth that, it they'll let me
<Ashnabis_Narrator> I think if you're helping Veznara with healing, they probably won't ask too many questions.
<Junan> glad you made it back safe... though I knew I didn't need to worry
* Veznara nods
<Veznara> We can pretend you're my assistant.
* Llillilli snorts
<Junan> (ok time passes?)

They make contact with Aptan, the spy in Yeggun's fleet


<Ashnabis_Narrator> All right - you can wait, passing the time until night falls, occasionally taking a peek out the door to see if anyone comes near the statue. Once it's fully dark, you can just make out a figure approaching, looking around cautiously, and standing nearby in the shadows.
<Veznara> (So are we all going in an inconspicuous clump? :P )
<Jimba> (I think maybe I should go talk to him.)
<Junan> (a couple people should go)
<Jimba> (Daifan and Llillilli maybe sneaking nearby for quick backup, and other folks at the ready if more help is needed.)
<lan_phone> (works for me)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Okay.
<Veznara> (Okay, so Jimba goes to meet him and the rest of us hold back at the ready?)
<Junan> (me and Jimba... wanna be sure he's being honest with us)
<Llillilli> (we are the sneakiest ones)
<Jimba> (Oh, fair. Need Junan for reading people.)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> The statue is a mournful sight now - not damaged, but as a symbol of the harmony that this town previously embraced, it is a sad reminder of how things have changed. Jimba and Junan can go across the square to meet your contact, as Llillilli and Daifan lurk nearby, keeping watch.
<Jimba> (I'm not so great at Detect Honesty.)
* Hiramam is now known as Aptan
* Aptan is a slender, wiry, dark-skinned young man, perhaps eighteen or so. His long curly dark hair is tied back in a ponytail. You can see something of Liraula in him, for sure. He wears a thin leather jerkin with a green scarf, and a simple brown dashi, and has line tattoos on his cheeks.
* Aptan emerges from the shadows but stays wary.
* Jimba will approach but try to seem nonchalant, while actually remaining vigilant. (Or as vigilant as Jimba can be.)
* Junan is very aware of how dangerous this could be
<Jimba> Evenin'.
<Aptan> Care to tell me who you are? Or should I not ask?
<Jimba> May be best for us both if you don't, but I have something to establish some bona fides.
* Jimba will produce the hairpin.
* Aptan approaches warily, a little closer.
* Aptan extends his hand to take it.
* Jimba will warily hand it over.
* Aptan examines it.
<Aptan> Well, either you're the people I'm here to see, or you took this from my auntie, in which case you're about to die.
<Aptan> Either way, I suppose I can talk to you.
<Junan> good and be quick about it. best for everyone involved.
* Jimba smiles.
<Jimba> So, what the fuck is going on here?
<Aptan> Good question, really.
<Aptan> We knew we were sailing to Pashas, but that's nothing unusual. We come here all the time. Then perhaps two hours from port, we hear that we're attacking the town.
<Aptan> Yeggun has his reasons for things, even when we don't know them. This one - this was a lot, though.
<Aptan> We all know people from here. Especially Yeggun's own kin.
<Aptan> Ruur is full of Shotsers.
* Jimba frowns.
<Jimba> Any of them targeted by the raid?
<Aptan> No. Actually, we were specifically told to target hith, if we had the chance. To run them off, to injure them, kill them if needed.
<Aptan> Which makes a sort of sense. Hith can do a lot of damage to us if they're still here. But making them all angry ... that seems maybe worse.
<Jimba> Yeah, that's...a really bad idea, long term.
<Jimba> Anyone unusual meet with Yeggun in the last, oh, few weeks before the attack? He go anywhere unusual?
* Aptan pauses, composing his thoughts.
<Aptan> For the past two months we've been travelling with a new companion, a woman named Obin who we picked up in Charadip during one of our longer stays. A guide, Yeggun says. I think what he means is, a guide to worlds and knowledge beyond our ordinary existence.
<Aptan> A mystic, is what she is, and a powerful one, unless I miss my mark. A northerner, speaks Aummesh as if learned from a book.
<Jimba> Ah.
<Jimba> That makes sense, then. At least I think it does.
* Daifan (~Korivan@dhcp-198-2-104-116.cable.user.start.ca) has joined #ashnabis
<Aptan> Since she arrived, others in his inner circle - myself, I guess, but also others, have been less involved in his plans.
<Junan> it fits
<Aptan> Labaun, his first mate on the Cormorant. Checheil, his own cousin, who captains the Angry Goose. Wabaan Wartibar, his envoy who rallies the folk at home when men or supplies are needed.
<Aptan> We talk, but he doesn't ask our counsel.
<Junan> Yeggun asked for the flag to be raised as well, eh?
<Aptan> He did.
<Aptan> I'm not sure who's fooled. No one hates Kaskind more than Yeggun.
<Junan> you know how long you're staying?
* Aptan shakes his head.
<Aptan> Is the Fort planning on attacking us? That's what everyone's worried about.
<Junan> (i get the impression he's being honest with us?)
<AshnabisGM> (you can roll I guess?)
<Junan> I don't think the General has finalized her decision on how to respond
<Junan> !roll 1d20+12
* Lan-werk rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 13 ].
<Daifan> (is there anyone else spying on this conversation?)
<AshnabisGM> (you can make a perception roll Daifan ... don't roll a 1)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+12
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 6 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 18 ].
<AshnabisGM> Junan, this guy seems shifty to you.
<AshnabisGM> Daifan, you don't see anyone spying on you.
<Daifan> (cool)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20 ] getting [ 16 ].
<Junan> Although you might want to council Yeggun not to stick around. If he listens or not?
<AshnabisGM> (Jimba he seems fine to you)
<Jimba> (To get a sense of the guy)
* Junan shrugs
<Jimba> I'd be less worried about the fort and more worried about the Hith.
<Aptan> Yeggun isn't a fool. And you shouldn't underestimate him. He doesn't make mistakes, so there's some plan here.
<Jimba> There's a long trip between a plan and a good plan.
<Aptan> How is my aunt?
<Jimba> Worried about you.
<Aptan> I'm fine. Yeggun trusts me.
<Jimba> You can be in danger from more than him.
<Jimba> This whole misadventure...it's going to go bad for him in the long run.
<Jimba> Plan or no.
<Aptan> I know what you're thinking ... that he's fallen under the influence of this Obin. But I don't think so. I think he knew exactly what he was getting when he took her on board.
<Jimba> I don't think he 'fell under the influence.'
<Jimba> I just think their short-term goals coincided, and sometimes Yeggun's long-term planning isn't as good as he likes to think it is.
<Jimba> He can be smart, and cunning, but I'm not sure he has a complete appreciation of the politics involved.
<Junan> a plan which he is keeping to himself
* Aptan shrugs.
* Jimba shrugs, too.
<Aptan> What can I tell you? He gives the orders, we follow them.
<Junan> they gonna hang the boy in front of the tavern?
<Aptan> ... maybe. That's personal.
<Jimba> How do you mean?
<Aptan> The boy, Liwhis Heptachei, he's the grandson of the lineage elder, the ifti. Yeggun has lived here on Ruur his entire life. Is probably kin to the boy in two or three different ways. And you don't piss off the ifti without good reason.
<Jimba> Right.
<Aptan> The boy did him wrong, needs to be made an example of, sure. But my guess is, he won't kill him.
<Aptan> I'm not from Ruur, remember. I don't always know how things work here.
<Jimba> What do you think's going to happen to him? Did he do more than just attack a boat?
<Aptan> Well, they might cut off a hand or two.
<Jimba> Fuck.
<Junan> Time to be moving on
<Jimba> If, say, the boy were to disappear, would that make Yeggun mad enough to piss off the ifti?
<Aptan> ... I don't know. Maybe? Or to track him down?
<Aptan> I think he has bigger issues.
<Jimba> Good to know.
<Junan> Not sure what he would do if some hith friends nabbed him and they swam off, what could he do?
<Jimba> So I can tell your aunt I asked, you're sure you're fine here?
<Aptan> Yes, I'm fine. Yeggun takes good care of me.
<Jimba> All right, just had to ask.
<Jimba> Best not to loiter, I guess. Anything to add? (To Junan)
* Junan shakes his head no
<Jimba> Well, let's not linger. Thank you for the talk.
* Aptan nods, and slips off into the shadows.
<Jimba> Well, this still seems like a clusterfuck.
* Junan nods

They formulate a plan to rescue Liwhis


<Ashnabis_Narrator> Okay, you want to regroup with the others and decide what to do next?
<Junan> lets see if we can get the second step done and get out of here
<Junan> (ok)
<Jimba> (*nod*)
* Jimba will head back and recap that for everyone.
<Jimba> (Or let Junan do it, with his perfect memory.)
* Junan will do so
<Daifan> hmm, so it is Charadip...
* Llillilli makes a face.
<Junan> but I don't exactly trust the guy. If he's happy where he is at, why is he providing info to Kaskind?
* Veznara frowns
<Jimba> He's got a complicated life, man.
<Daifan> or if he is so confident of Yeggun's plan...
* Daifan shrugs
<Jimba> His loyalty's to Liraula, ultimately, not the Cormorant or Kaskind.
<Jimba> And he's useful where he is.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> What else do they need from us here?
<Junan> at least we got some of the picture we were looking for. Time to finish up and go.
<Jimba> I think our duties are pretty much over, officially, but young Liwhis...
<Llillilli> We have to get Liwhis out.
* Jimba nods to Llillilli.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> he's pretty injured... he will need helpb even if we can get him free of his chains
<Jimba> Good thing there's several of us, and several of us are pretty strong.
<Llillilli> Katenzhi can you use magic to break the chain?
<Daifan> He wasn't being watched earlier, but there were always people around
<Daifan> if peopel are too drunk or passed out this late a night it will be easier to get close
<Veznara> Or perhaps in the early morning.
<Llillilli> Maybe a distraction would help.
<Junan> darkness would be better, there are more of them than us.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (Katenzhi affirms that she can get him out of his chains with magic)
* Daifan nods
<Junan> a distraction yes, but we dont want to damage the ships or bring retaliation down on the townsfolks
<Jimba> Any ideas?
<Veznara> Maybe a fight between pirates further away from the inn? If we could arrange that somehow...
<Jimba> *Between* the pirates?
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Katenzhi might opine that it depends how many people you need to distract. A small number, she can do something like sleep or charm. A larger number, maybe an illusion?
<Junan> (hypnotic patern in front of the inn, run in grab the guy, run out)
<Llillilli> An illusion, yes.
<Daifan> that sounds easier than starting a fight
<Daifan> but maybe less amusing ;)
<Jimba> Well, starting a fight is very easy.
<Jimba> Starting a fight we're not in is a lot harder.
<Veznara> I'll gladly give up amusement for efficiency.
* Daifan shrugs
<Llillilli> Mm.
<Veznara> What sort of illusion, then?
<Llillilli> Can they make noise?
<Llillilli> A loud illusion would be great.
<Junan> I'll cover with my bow, I'm faster on foot than most so if I need to bolt aftwards I can meet you back at the boat
<Veznara> Nothing too loud, though.
<Daifan> we need to distract eough people but not the whole town...
<Veznara> What about something to obscure what's happening, like the illusion of a cloud of fog?
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (she can do an actual cloud of fog)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (that would probably be good to obscure the general area, let someone sneak in close and break him out, and then get away, if they're stealthy enough)
<Veznara> (But she can't see through that if it's real, while she can see through her own illusion)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (yeah but the pirates also don't get a save vs. real fog, they do against an illusion)
<Daifan> (part of the problem is that Kat is the least stealthy ut is the one with the break-out magic)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (yup. so concealment might be important, I would think. Distractions can be planned too, though, of course, if they are needed.)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (I mean for instance, Liwhis is at the front of the inn. You could station someone at the back to just make some noise if things start to go bad, in order to draw pirates out that way.)
<Daifan> well, we can step in to provide other distactions if necessary, if just one or two of them come around, I can pobably handle that
<Llillilli> (yeah there can be non-magic distractions)
<Daifan> make some noise and slip away
* Jimba nods.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (Ok. So I think the consensus is, make fog to obscure the area from sight, get Kat close enough to do Knock on his chains, and get away fast?)
<Jimba> (Sounds like it.)
<Daifan> (yup, sounds good!)
<Llillilli> (I will be ready to help Liwhis)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (she can do knock from like... 100 feet away or something, so she doesn't even have to be the stealthy one who gets close ;)
* Daifan will reinforce that he won't be able to get away fast on his own power
<Daifan> (yeh llillilli is probably the best one for it)
<Llillilli> (I will get close)
<Daifan> (I thnk? is she okay at stealth? or should it be me?)
<Llillilli> (I am)
<Daifan> (okay, then yeah)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Okay, sounds good.
<Daifan> (I'll stand by as backup distraction and can help him once we're more away)
<AshnabisGM> (I'll roll for Katenzhi's spells as needed)
<Veznara> (Anything I should do, other than be ready to leave?)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (Veznara, you might be needed for healing purposes, depending how injured he is?)
<Veznara> (Well, I don't have a 13. But yes, I can be ready to do that once they get him away...)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (like get him to a somewhat safe location, then heal so he can maybe walk to the boat with you guys? just in case)
<Daifan> (I can do that :p)
<Daifan> (she can help me ;)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (heh, yes)
<Veznara> (Well, I suppose. :P )

They succeed in freeing Liwhis and helping him escape with them off the island


<Ashnabis_Narrator> You can make your way cautiously through the town, in the middle of the night, hoping that most of the pirates will be asleep or passed out drunk by this point.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> As you draw near to the inn, it's fairly quiet - sounds of carousing have become subdued.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> There's one pirate (you assume) standing outside, looking pretty bored, but presumably there as a guard.
<Daifan> (is liwhis ther still?)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (yes, he's in the square, should be visible on the map)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> So, first Kat will cast her fog cloud.
<AshnabisGM> !roll 1d20+9
* Lan-werk rolls for AshnabisGM: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 24 ].
<AshnabisGM> (ok, no problem there)
* Llillilli gets into position...
<Ashnabis_Narrator> The fog rolls out, filling the area. I assume she's clever enough to make its 'source' be towards the sea, and away from you guys ;)
* Daifan will be on standby
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Next, Llillilli can sneak to the prisoner. So, a stealth check for that.
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+13
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 28 ].
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You move silently through the fog, past the unobservent guard, until you get to Liwhis. He is sort of half-dozing in his upright position, as much as he can anyway.
* Llillilli lightly touches his shoulder, then holds a finger to her lips if/when he wakes up.
* Aptan is now known as Liwhis
* Liwhis twists and groans slightly. He sees you but you're not sure whether he knows he's awake.
<Llillilli> <w, h> we are going to the water
<Liwhis> <w> thank you, mother
<Llillilli> . o O (oof)
* Llillilli gets ready to support his weight.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (Then Kat can cast Knock)
<AshnabisGM> !roll 1d20+9
* Lan-werk rolls for AshnabisGM: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 21 ].
<AshnabisGM> (ok, no problem again)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> The chains release with a clank, but since you're close you can stop them fully falling to the ground. It still makes a sound, but not a huge one.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> You can also get Liwhis, who staggers as he's freed.
<Llillilli>
<w> come on
* Llillilli will start trying to move him toward the water.
<Liwhis>
<w> it hurts
<Llillilli>
<w> I know... we'll be out of here soon, and there are people who will help you
* Liwhis staggers along, following you
<Llillilli> (I'm helping him along as much as I can)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> The rest of you, it is probably time to make your getaway too, and hook up with the others once they are safe? I think she is going to swim/drag Liwhis along the shore a ways and then rejoin you, was that the idea?
<Daifan> (yup, can do)
<Llillilli> (yup)
<Veznara> (Sounds good!)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Okay. Once you get out of the fog area, this is much easier, but you need to move cautiously until then.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Are you heading straight out of town, to the boat? or did you want to try and bring Liwhis to somewhere to help him first?
<Llillilli> (he's not going to get *worse
* in the water, so I figured I'd take himback to the boat)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Okay, that will take a while, not impossible but just challenging - how about a Swim check to see how it goes?
<Llillilli> (I can take 10 on swim checks always)
<Llillilli> (so maybe I'll just... do that :V)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (legit)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Ok - it's painstaking, you're mostly dragging him along, but you can manage.
<Veznara> (I guess Daifan and I will tend to him as soon as they arrive.)
<Daifan> (yup, we can have things ready)
* Llillilli pulls him up onto the shore.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> The rest of you can slip quietly out of town and be well along the way back to the boat before the sun starts to rise. You wait anxiously for Llillilli and Liwhis to join you, and finally you spot them, moving through the water, wet and tired, but safe.
* Llillilli pats his face a little to rouse him.
* Jimba will help Llillilli get him aboard.
<Liwhis> <w> thank you ... sister?
* Llillilli smiles.
* Daifan can tends him and not make *too
* many snarky remarks about 'good thing we have this excellent ship here' and ' lets try not to make more holes where there shouldn't be any, hmm?'
<Llillilli> Yes.
* Ashnabis_Narrator changes topic to '
<Llillilli> i've only had liwhis for an hour and a half but if anything happens to him i'll kill everyone on this boat�'
<Jimba> (hee)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> As the sun is rising, you are able to set sail safely back to Kaskind, then.

Solos

Daifan and Junan talk on the boat on the way back


* Daifan can have hung some fabric to make a little privacy and then lured you over :3
* Junan is easily lured
* Junan brings some wine
<Daifan> (oh I know :V)
<Daifan> mmm,how thoughtful ^-^
* Daifan will have some and then pass it back
* Junan takes a drink
<Junan> after all the effort of setting this up, I thought you might be thirsty
* Daifan grins
<Daifan> well, this is mjuch better
* Daifan will lean against you
* Junan smiles
<Daifan> like everything else is just.... paused for a moment :3
<Junan> it is... so now we snuggle and talk conspiratorially
<Daifan> Mmmhmmm... what woudl you like to sonspire about?
<Junan> our productive trip
<Junan> which was just my plan to get you alone away from Kaskind... success on my part
<Daifan> You set this whole thing up did you? very resourceful ^_^
<Daifan> did you hire the pirates too?
* Daifan teases
<Junan> no that wasn't me, but I did drop a few suggestions on a few ears... and here we are
<Junan> I have coin, but Pirates are dreadfully expensive
<Daifan> Hmmm, I didn't realize you had such influence
<Junan> I know a few people. Not just a pretty face.
<Daifan> but also that
* Junan gives a slight shrug
* Daifan smiles, but seems to be considering something
<Junan> something on your mind?
<Daifan> what if I had a different, very serious, problem?
<Daifan> or.... not my problem, but one I care about very deeply?
<Junan> if there was something I could do to help, I would try
<Daifan> I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out what I can do, or anyone else.
<Daifan> You heard about those Corpseborn convicts that were brought to work for Galdai Ebesnati?
<Junan> I heard about there arrival yes. Not much else.
<Junan> I thought the whole thing a little odd
<Daifan> So much stranger than you could imagine....
<Junan> So they're not just pulling weeds in the garden
<Daifan> No. She's using them for some kind of experiments, because they learned a new way of using fos.
* Daifan waits to see if you;ll say they are crazy
<Junan> well that's not what I expected and feels very wrong
<Daifan> it is very wrong
<Daifan> t is.... worse than it sounds, even
<Junan> and experiment isn't just another way of saying torture?
<Daifan> Oh, there is torture. And.... coersion of other kinds. She's an enchantress.
<Daifan> she want to make them have babies.
<Daifan> Veznara has been going out to check on them, because the Hand know somethign is wrong, bt they cna't prove anything and won't act.
<Daifan> no one else cares about us. Especially not convicts.
<Junan> seems like a lot of effort when all you had to to was put them together, let them live their lives and you would get some anyway.
<Junan> babies that is
<Daifan> well, she is very old :p
<Daifan> maybe tha's not fast enough.
<Junan> add lots of wine?
<Junan> I know... its very serious.
* Junan stops the rebuke before it happens
<Daifan> it is. They're all from the same community.... the ones that weren't sent here were all killed.
<Daifan> except the children... we think
<Daifan> but all the other adults, the old people... the people like me :/
<Junan> did they actually rebel? Royals get a little touchy about that... but still...
* Junan shakes his head
<Daifan> I don't think so. There's a lot of questions I don't have the aqnswers to yet - liek how they even got the fos they were using to larn all this magic.... how they were caught...
<Daifan> but it keeps getting worse, everything I'm hearing from there
<Junan> answer to both questions might be the same
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Yes, I suspect so.... I want to know how deep this princess's influence goes in this >:|
<Daifan> I thought it was bad enough when just.... they were going to start using us like slaves
<Daifan> (like bubun, rather)
<Daifan> peopel who have no rights at all, completely siolated from the others of their kind...
<Daifan> but no, worse and worse :(
<Junan> did anyone manage to escape? Have first hand knowledge of whats happening?
<Daifan> yes. The ones that were seized by the Hand when they first arrived - so they don't know what is happening now. But they know everythihg that happened before they came.
<Daifan> It's difficult for anyoen to have a chance to speak with any of them.
<Daifan> she's very careful
<Daifan> even the torture is all.... in the mind
<Junan> Damn... magic... just keeps makin' everything a mess
<Daifan> Using magic to mke them want things so badly it drived them out of their heads
<Daifan> it doesn't have to be that way >.>
* Daifan sighs
<Daifan> none of this has to be this way.
<Daifan> I have a friend, back in town and we have decided that we can't wait anymore for the time to be right, or for there to be some evidence that is 'enough' to stop a princess
<Daifan> I dn't kow what we will do but... something. It hurst too much to know this is happening and do nothing.
<Junan> If your that set on doing something you need to be smart about it.
<Daifan> I know.
<Junan> learn a lesson from what we just went through.
<Junan> Aim the blame on someone else
<Daifan> Hmmm, interesting
<Daifan> I wonder
<Daifan> she *is
* a mystic
* Junan smiles
<Daifan> >.>
<Daifan> she woudl never betray her nation I don't think - too useful - but it could make her a target.... if someone was trying to stir up trouble, say, with Basai?
<Daifan> Is there somethign there?
<Junan> Chiradip may not be keen on mystics outside of thier control gaining an "advantage"
<Daifan> yes, precisely
<Daifan> hmmm.
<Junan> the best lies have speckles of truth
<Daifan> I knew you were more than a pretty face ^-^
<Junan> now as an envoy trying to promote stability in the region, I should be advising against taking actions that increase the risk of conflict...
<Junan> but fuck that crazy Tazi mystic
<Daifan> She's an evil old hag
<Daifan> woudl you maybe be willing to talk o my...friend?
<Daifan> I they are willing, I suppose..
* Daifan considers
<Daifan> I think probably the two of tyou could come up with some very clever things.... cleverer than I could
* Junan brushes some hair from Daifan's cheek
<Junan> You want me to meet him and see if I can help?
<Daifan> yes....
<Daifan> they're another of my partners though....
<Daifan> so maybe you wouldn't want to. I'd understand.
<Junan> I thought I got around.
* Junan chuckles
<Junan> To help you I'll meet them
* Daifan smilews
<Daifan> theyre' only the three of hyou.... I only have so much energy and time :3
<Junan> good to know there are no more surprises on that front
* Junan sighs
<Daifan> well... I'll try to be worth it :3
<Junan> and I'll try to make your effort well rewarded
* Junan winks
<Daifan> mmm.... well... yes...
<Daifan> that is probably somethign else we shoudl talk about, isn't it?
* Junan nods
<Daifan> Sex is different for me.
<Daifan> I enjoy it but.... not the same way.
<Junan> ok
<Daifan> mmm, that was easy :x
<Junan> so what way do you enjoy it?
<Daifan> I like to jus.... be with you. Or make you happy,
<Daifan> but I don't really have the right... parts for more.
<Daifan> but there are many many ways I can make you happy >:}
<Daifan> if you would liek to see...
<Junan> I would, but endulging a selfish guy like me may make me fall for you even harder

Daifan confers with Balinteze about future plans after they return


* Daifan will come and see Balinteze not too long afte they get back from their 'trip down the coast'
* Balinteze can talk to you in their room, that's probably the easiest place to locate them and talk privately.
* Balinteze gives you a hug on seeing you
<Balinteze> Glad you're back safe.
* Daifan hugs bak tightly
<Daifan> Yes... and I can return your mask, unused.
* Daifan can pass that back to them
<Balinteze> thanks
* Balinteze puts it away safely.
<Daifan> we learned some things.... nothign we didn't really alredy know I think And we rescued someone, even if he is the same one who tried to sink our boat when we were there before.
<Balinteze> well... good, I guess?
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I think.... probably good, on the whole. They seemed to have been targeting the Hith, and he's one of their kindred, like Llillilli.
<Balinteze> Targeting the hith how?
<Daifan> literaly >.>
* Balinteze frowns
<Daifan> they're all gone, chased off or killed and they attacked the bathing pools and destroyed them as well
<Balinteze> Are they trying to cut the town off from its strongest protectors, or what?
<Daifan> possibly. Or turn the Hith against Kaskind.
* Balinteze considers that, sighing.
<Daifan> The pirate who is heading the fleet is from Ruur, I guess?
<Daifan> so, I guess he must have some idea what he is doing
<Daifan> and oh!
<Daifan> yes, he has picked up a Basain mystic on his crew
<Daifan> and is cutting out all his other advisers fomr his plans
<Balinteze> huh.
<Balinteze> That sounds like a worrying development.
<Daifan> yes.... but.
<Daifan> I was talking to Junan, about the plantation
* Balinteze nods
<Daifan> he suggested that some misdirection there might be in order
<Daifan> I dn't know if that woudl be useful, it pin an attack on her on say, Charadip. It woud account for any magic that gets used....
<Daifan> is that bad idea?
<Balinteze> well... Galdai is a mystic, but I don't think she's particularly associated with the ones in Charadip. Maybe there's something there that could be useful.
* Balinteze thinks about it for a moment
<Daifan> yes, precisely
<Daifan> she coudl be a threat, or an example To them. In theory.
<Balinteze> They don't like mystics operating outside their control. Well, probably they don't like anyone operating outside their control, but you know - especially other mystics.
<Balinteze> It might be possible to make an attack or an escape attempt look like it came from mystics, although it's a bit harder to make people assume it's Charadip specifically.
<Balinteze> but we could try to think of a way.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I just don't know if that would be good for whatever is going on, or not
<Daifan> I mean, with the fort, and if Charadip is beind this attack and it isn't just one person manipulating this pirate
<Balinteze> it could stir up more trouble, but the trouble is getting stirred regardless, I think :/
* Daifan nods
<Balinteze> so it might be a good cover, at least - deflect attention away from us.
<Daifan> it would giev the frt an excuse to be aggressive, if we can pull it off. Or if we acn' that convincing but they want to use it anyway >.>
<Daifan> (aren't that convincing)
<Daifan> but yes, not getting caught is more important. Obviously :x
<Balinteze> yes, well - if these pirates can raid a town under a Choradani flag and figure that's enough to convince people to fight them, I think we can be at least as convincing as that ;p
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> so... it isn't a bad idea?
<Daifan> just needs some polishing?
* Daifan thinks
<Balinteze> well. I don't know what will come of it, and the main thing I want is to make sure this doesn't backfire on us, or on the people in Banei.
<Daifan> yes
<Balinteze> If we can do this without adding extra risk, then I don't think it hurts. If it deflects some attention in other directions, that's fine. Galdai is going to be furious no matter what, presumably. I don't know how the fort will respond.
<Daifan> Oh. >.>
<Balinteze> oh. were you expecting to kill her? >.>
<Daifan>
<.
<
* Daifan shrugs
<Daifan> I feel like... Spoons will try.
<Daifan> unless we can keep her away somehow
<Balinteze> I think... as tempting as that is... the priority has to be getting the prisoners to safety. Taking her on directly is a big risk. Powerful mystics can take out a lot of people in a single strike. Or - we know she works with mind control. She could dominate some of us and turn us against one another, or... it could be very bad, I guess is what I'm saying.
* Daifan sighs and nods
<Daifan> we would have to really get the drop on her, somehow - catch her wit no fos, or something...
* Balinteze nods
<Daifan> but you're right, that's secondary
<Daifan> but then we need to get people away and make the situation be such that she won't come looking, or wants them gone
<Daifan> We have places in Banei we coud put them, at least
* Balinteze nods
<Balinteze> I wonder if a combination of pressure from the church and the mystics could help curb her... experiments. Obviously the church is already not pleased, and if we could get some information to the mystics about what she's been doing, they wouldn't be either, I imagine.
<Daifan> Hmmm....
<Daifan> maybe. Or they might want to take up her research >.>
<Balinteze> It wouldn't bring her under control, necessarily, but make it awkward enough for her to keep operating the way she has been - so she can't just request another batch of prisoners or something.
<Daifan> this is for aftr we get them out?
<Balinteze> Yeah. And I can keep working on my contacts here, to get them to do something as well. Even if just to tell her she can't operate here, or somehow to legally prevent her owning slaves, basically.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> okay
<Balinteze> A combination of different pressures that make it sufficiently uncomfortable for her to keep going as she has.
<Daifan> alright
<Daifan> then we have somewhere to bring them, a vague cover plan, and we have some idea of ho to follow up so no one else is endangered...
<Balinteze> so you said you'd talked to Junan about this - is he planning to help?
<Daifan> he might....
<Daifan> I know Jimba would, and Llillilli.
* Balinteze nods
<Daifan> and Katenzhi, if I asked her
<Daifan> Veznara.... might be best to keep her out of it so she isn't compromised for the follow up?
<Balinteze> Maybe. But she could be a useful distraction too, maybe. She's the one who has a reasonable excuse to be in the house, right? If she is meeting with Galdai, or otherwise in the household for some reason, she can keep an eye on what is going on in there.
* Daifan nods
<Balinteze> while we do our thing outside >.>
<Daifan> she might be willing to do something of the sort
<Balinteze> It might be prudent if she doesn't know exactly what we're up to, though. We can keep that information from her, so that she can't be forced to reveal it.
<Balinteze> If she's interrogated she can honestly say she didn't know what was planned.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> yes, that makes sense
<Daifan> once we plan in.
<Balinteze> Maybe we can get the group together to discuss plans.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> I was just going to suggust that
* Balinteze smiles back
<Daifan> and I shoudl talk to Spoons
* Balinteze nods
* Daifan says more seriously.
<Balinteze> Yes... it seems fair to include her, but ... she's unpredictable.
<Daifan> I haven't told her yet, what's been happening
<Daifan> but that is one word for her >.>
* Balinteze looks grim.
<Daifan> Maybe I shoudl do that.... and see what she says
<Daifan> and what she will do
<Balinteze> All right.
<Daifan> if I do't think we can rely o her.... then we plan without her
* Balinteze nods
<Daifan> but she doens't care about anhything other than her own people, and I'm not even sure if it is all of them or not.
<Balinteze> Mm... but she doesn't want to get them, or herself, killed... presumably. Or she'd have gone off already on a suicide mission.
<Daifan> that's true
<Daifan> Maybe she will care more about Banei if her people can make a place there.
* Balinteze nods
<Daifan> I'd love to see her and Prickles face off ;)
* Balinteze chuckles at that.
<Balinteze> I hope so. Or even if they can't - if they need to leave for safety - at least they'd be together, and she'd be less angry. I hope.
<Daifan> Maybe if we get her girlfriend back, she'll calm down ;)
* Balinteze nods, smiling a little.
<Balinteze> Understandable, really.
<Daifan> mmhmm....
* Balinteze puts their arm around you.
* Daifan leans in
<Daifan> I can appreciate the sentiment...