Ashnabis session 22

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ashnabis session logs
Previous Session 22 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: December 1, 2019
Fair Cycle date:

Prologue


<Ashnabis_GM> You never thought you'd hear yourself say this, but you really wish it would rain.
<Ashnabis_GM> The clay side streets of Kaskind, normally moist and pliable, have turned to dust, which cakes your hair, your clothes, anything that is exposed and some places that aren't.
<Ashnabis_GM> Gugivas is always dry and always hot, but this is extraordinary; the old-timers in Timiil are saying that they haven't seen it this way in a generation. Some even go so far as to blame the mystics up-coast in Charadip for meddling with the weather.
<Ashnabis_GM> You find yourself walking out into the swamp just to get a little moisture in your lungs from time to time, although there's little enough work this time of year.
<Ashnabis_GM> But today, around an hour before you were going to leave the registry and head for home, Utus summons you to his office.
* Jimba will head into his office.
* Daifan is glad to live more into the swamp, for once :x

The group receives a task to go and investigate a ruined fort in search of a lost family sword


<Ashnabis_GM> You enter the office where Utus is standing with two men. The taller one is dressed in extreme finery, while the other, a short, stocky, dark-skinned bearded man, stands a step behind him. Both of them have a long thin sword sheathed at their sides.
<Ashnabis_GM> Veznara, you recognize the taller man as Dezren of the Tertizhi.
* Veznara nods to him and smiles slightly in greeting
* Llillilli eyes them warily.
* Dezren is a clean-shaven man just past thirty, perhaps, dressed in very traditional Omban finery, with a long robe with a wide silver silk belt around the waist and a green cloak over it all.
* Daifan will go to their usual spot, looking over these guys curiously
* Artep is extremely short and quite rotund, though clearly massively muscular, with a thick black beard extending well past his chin. He is dressed more simply, with a long grey dashi and a leather belt to which his scabbard is strapped.
<Utus> Come in, we have an assignment for you. Dezren will explain the details of the required task.
* Jimba nods in greeting.
<Dezren> Ah, yes, quite so. I am Dezren of House Tertizhi, and it is my understanding that you are the team assigned to my case. Welcome.
<Dezren> Please allow me to introduce my associate, Artep of the Nugoptu.
* Llillilli 's hair is coverd by a dark orange wrap. Her dashi is around her waist and her pfethes are on her back, as usual.
<Artep> Pleased to meet you!
* Artep speaks Ombesh with a thin but noticeable Aummesh accent.
* Katenzhi will give a half-hearted wave at the pair, obviously thinking about other things.
* Veznara also nods to Artep
<Veznara> How do you do?
<Artep> Very well, very well. My pleasure to be able to help out here.
* Artep seems earnestly thrilled.
<Dezren> My quest for you is related to a broader mission in which I, and my associates, have been duly engaged for nearly a decade now.
<Dezren> As you may be aware, or perhaps not, I have for some time been conducting historical research into the location of a silksword, a khazkamma, that once belonged to my ancestors, but was lost here in Osnabis some centuries ago during the Imperial occupation.
* Veznara nods
<Dezren> It is my duty to my lineage and my ancestors to find it and restore it to its proper home.
<Dezren> To date, we have had many leads but few concrete results. Recently, however, with the change in the weather, an area to the east of the colony has become newly accessible to us. We have identified an Omban fort that was once located there.
<Daifan> hmm
<Katenzhi> You think it might be there?
* Dezren points to a map on a desk, indicating a place east of the colony proper. There is indeed a ruined fort marked on the map.
<Dezren> I think it might - or at least that it would provide additional information leading to its discovery.
<Llillilli> What happened to the fort?
<Dezren> Uncertain. It was one of numerous forts built here by the Empire during the Osnabis campaign, but of course most of the Imperial forces left at the end of that campaign and most of the stonework was simply left, particularly in the Sestapor region.
* Llillilli frowns.
<Veznara> (Where is this on the map?)
<Llillilli> (yeah and what do I know about that area if anything)
<Dezren> This one, in particular, is in a deeply inaccessible region of the swamp, such that it has not been available for use.
<Jimba> (same)
<Utus> The landscape has shifted over the centuries, of course, and rendered the area difficult to reach or use.
<Llillilli> Mm-hm.
* Dezren points to a region east of Lake Tsidul, in a region with no claims in the area at all.
<Dezren> (Lake Tsidul is marked as F at http://rocksfall.org/wiki/Ashnabis_Territory )
<Veznara> Do you know anything else about the history of the fort? Who commanded it, whether it performed a special function at the time?
* Veznara is clearly very interested!
<Dezren> That, we do not know for certain. Because it is so inaccessible, it has not been investigated since the founding of the Kaskind Territory.
<Dezren> While the area is not considered desirable for fos, because it is normally heavily saturated with water and not really fit for agriculture, at this time, at the height of a very dry season, we are interested in placing a claim and having it examined by your office.
<Jimba> You know the weather is unusual, right?
<Jimba> I mean, I get that you have other reasons for doing so, but it'll go back to being inundated, presumably.
<Dezren> Yes, of course. That is exactly why we would like to have it examined now. We do not need the claim in the longer term.
<Daifan> We only have to find the sword once.
<Jimba> Fair point. Just checking.
<Veznara> (What do I know about the history of this place?)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+16
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+16 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 16 ] totals [ 28 ].
<Utus> Since it's an ancient fort, it's possible there are other valuable goods there, even if the sword is not found. Certainly if you locate anything of historical interest, it should be brought back - it may not be possible to return there easily once the weather changes.
* Jimba nods.
<Katenzhi> I can't imagine there's much left after centuries underwater.
<Dezren> I will be sending with you my man here, Artep of the Nugoptu, an Osnabi man, to assist you. He is familiar with much of the work we are conducting and will, I believe, be of great help to you.
* Artep smiles broadly.
<Artep> Pleased to help however I can!
* Llillilli gives a little 'I guess' shrug
* Daifan looks him over again
<Veznara> (Insight on Artep?)
* Daifan nods
<Veznara> (Er, I mean, Sense Motive? :P )
<Jimba> [Aummesh] Welcome aboard.
<Ashnabis_GM> You can roll, Veznara.
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+11
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 13 ].
<Veznara> (Oh, man. :P)
<Ashnabis_GM> He seems cheerful and eager to help.
<Veznara> I'm sure your knowledge will help a great deal!
<Ashnabis_GM> You don't really know much more than that.
<Daifan> (let me see now ;p)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+13
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 23 ].
<Veznara> (I'm just wary of his cheerful eagerness...)
<Ashnabis_GM> Daifan you also think he's happy to be here and help, but presumably also is there to keep an eye on you for Dezren and make sure you don't, say, abscond with his precious sword or something.
* Daifan is not eally interested in his stupid sword so whatever
<Llillilli> When do we leave?
<Daifan> . o O (Though I guess you could probably ransom it to this guy for a fair lot of horns...)
<Jimba> Shouldn't take us too long to get ready.
<Jimba> Though it sounds like the trip will be tricky.
* Daifan nods
<Ashnabis_GM> Veznara, you believe that the fort was called Kinjilai. It was abandoned some time before the formal end of the military campaign, for what reasons you don't know.
<Veznara> Hmmm.
<Veznara> We should be careful... if I remember correctly, this particular fort was abandoned before the military campaign was actually over.
<Jimba> Something to keep in mind, sure.
<Veznara> That may be because of the shifting terrain... or it may be for some other reason.
<Dezren> I presume you will be careful regardless.
<Jimba> (Anything K:Local or K:Georgraphy might tell us?)
<Llillilli> (yeah pls)
<Veznara> Of course!
<Dezren> (sure you can roll)
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+11
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 19 ].
<Jimba> (K:Local)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+9
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 13 ].
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+7
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 11 ].
<Daifan> (local)
<Jimba> (Bleh, Geo)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+3
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+3 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 3 ] totals [ 11 ].
<Daifan> (geo... so not much from me)
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+7
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 22 ].
<Katenzhi> !roll 1d20+8
* Lan-werk rolls for Katenzhi: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 19 ].
<Llillilli> (that's local)
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+3
<Katenzhi> (local)
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+3 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 3 ] totals [ 15 ].
<Llillilli> (and that's geo)
<Dezren> (honestly as far as you know this area has been fully waterlogged throughout your lifetime, not really used for much of anything. The locals don't use it as far as you know. Lots of wildlife out there, though, for sure)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+11
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 29 ].
<Veznara> (That was Geography)
<Daifan> Things could have changed, anyway... I'm more worried about what might be dangerous today than what happened hundreds of years ago.
<Llillilli> Bogwiggles.
<Daifan> mmhmm :|
<Katenzhi> Hopefully they're all desiccated.
<Llillilli> some animals can go into torpor when it gets dry and then come out if it rains again >.>
<Katenzhi> Then we should go before it does.
* Jimba nods.
<Llillilli> I'm ready whenever.
* Llillilli shrugs again
* Daifan wonders where Junan is :x
<Ashnabis_GM> The trip will probably take somewhere between 1-2 days each direction, depending on the terrain and what obstacles you might encounter.
<Daifan> Shall we meet at the boat?
<Veznara> (Hey, do we have time for me to consult the Espali Annals before we go?)
<Jimba> Sounds like a plan.
<Ashnabis_GM> You'll be walking most of the way, as the river doesn't connect to the lake except by taking a very long way around.
<Daifan> (Its still where most of you live and a reasonable point to organize from :x)
<Ashnabis_GM> (yes, that's fine. just wanted to clarify :)
<Ashnabis_GM> It's late in the day today - you could make whatever preparations you want tonight and set out in the morning, if you want. Or you can try to leave tonight although you'll have to camp somewhere along the way.
* Llillilli will let Thelef know what's up, as probably wedding stuff is getting into high gear soon if it isn't already >.>.
* Katenzhi will also let Bivizmi know.
<Veznara> (Well in that case, Espali Annals it is! :D )
<Jimba> Let's meet up in the morning. Try to travel a bit before it gets so hot.
* Daifan will let their peeps know as possible :3
<Ashnabis_GM> (just working on what Veznara might be able to find in the annals)
<Veznara> (Sorry to be so much trouble! But hey, I feel this is practically designed for me. :) )
<Ashnabis_GM> Veznara, the information about it is very sparse, much less than other key locations during the Omban occupation. It is unusually poorly described.
<Ashnabis_GM> What you are able to find is merely a single line: The lost Fort Kinjilai was a cursed place, and was brought down by the generals themselves after they suffered a major defeat at the hands of the locals.
<Veznara> (Do I know more about that defeat? Was it connected with the place, or just incidental ?)
<Ashnabis_GM> (that's all you got)
<Ashnabis_GM> (one can guess the defeat took place there or near there perhaps, but you don't actually know what it's referring to specifically.)
<Veznara> (OK! Cursed... :/ )
<Ashnabis_GM> All right, you can set off in the morning, having made your various preparations. Jimba, are you bringing the dogs even though you're not going by boat? (it's fine if so, I just wanted to inquire :)
* Daifan will have tried to spend the night with a Boy :3 Very important to establish.
<Ashnabis_GM> (aw :)
<Jimba> (Hmm. I think I would. I know I need to keep them out of combat, but they're still useful along the way.)
<Ashnabis_GM> (ok, sounds fine. They might be a useful warning system at least ;)

The group sets off, and Daifan and Katenzhi talk as they travel


* Artep arrives dressed in a breastplate and round bronze helmet, with a shield strapped to his back.
<Ashnabis_GM> You make your way on foot through the dense vegetation, moving cautiously to avoid patches of swampy ground. Normally much of this area would be under water, but with the recent stretch of dry weather, the water is lower and parts of the terrain that are normally concealed are instead visible.
<Ashnabis_GM> The ground is thick with dried mud and plant life, and clouds of buzzing insects surround you as you push your way through the difficult terrain.
<Ashnabis_GM> (You can talk on the way for a bit if you want.)
<Ashnabis_GM> (esp. while we wait to see if Charles makes it back online...)
* Daifan will talk with Katenzhi... and also get themself a tall stick for testing the ground :x
* Daifan will try and find Katenzhi in a quiet place once we're underway
<Daifan> Kat?
<Daifan> (well, draw you to the side of our little convoy I guess - I keep forgetting were not on the boat ;)
<Katenzhi> (heh, I was gonna say)
* Katenzhi looks over, already sweating from the walk even though the day isn't that hot yet.
<Katenzhi> Yeah? What's up, Daifan?
<Daifan> I wanted to talk to you about something.... about your friend who died and came back
* Katenzhi looks a bit surprised at that.
<Katenzhi> ...what about her?
<Daifan> You were looking into how she died, weren't you?
<Katenzhi> Yeah. I've been coming up kind of short, though.
<Daifan> Hmm.
<Daifan> I.... found out something that I don't know if it is related or not. but... maybe? So I thought I shoudl let you know
<Katenzhi> What did you find?
<Daifan> Do you remember the Daligashi woman who wanted land to build an inn, and then we found the person who owned it had been mysteriously murdered?
<Katenzhi> Yeah, sure, near where we got hit by those bogwiggles, right?
<Daifan> Yes.
<Daifan> She is connected to a powerful trade faction from Daligash, called the Fand
<Katenzhi> Well she did say she was a trader.
* Daifan nods
<Katenzhi> What about them?
* Dezren is now known as AshnabisNarrator
<Daifan> I think there is more to it than just trade... or at least they are willing to go above and beyond to secure their place in trade, like with the inn she has built...
<Daifan> But.... I know that they had been ....very interested in the Pindevuzi businesses
<Katenzhi> What do you mean?
<Daifan> making notes about who they are trading with.... specialty products... that sort of thing.
<Katenzhi> You think they might have had something to do with it?
<Daifan> I don't know
<Daifan> They also have some business with... Utus Rorifiti?
* Katenzhi spits on the ground.
<Katenzhi> That fucker.
<Daifan> he was doing some work for them...
* Daifan shrugs, not really knowing any more than that
<Daifan> It seemed like something. I don't kow what though
<Katenzhi> I originally thought he was involved but then I wasn't so sure. Then I thought maybe it was someone from the village near where we found the pale oracle. Now I don't know what to think.
<Daifan> That's the new fos right?
<Katenzhi> Yeah.
<Daifan> I think they are probably interested in controlling it.... maybe they hope he will help them with that.
<Daifan> I do thinkn.... though I have no proof... that they had that man killed ofr his land, and discredited his neighbor so they could seize his land as well
<Katenzhi> Hell of a way to do business.
<Daifan> so.... if that is true, they are very dangerous
<Katenzhi> I feel like I stumbled into a hornet's nest. Backwards.
<Daifan> I understand the feeling
<Katenzhi> I'm no detective. I just want my... I just want Bivizmi to be safe.
<Daifan> :|
<Katenzhi> Well, thanks. I appreciate the info.
<Katenzhi> You're a good friend.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+13
* @Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 31 ].
<Daifan> So.... *your* Bivizmi, is it? ^_^
* Katenzhi blushes a bit and turns away.
<Katenzhi> I didn't say that.
<Daifan> Not with words.... :3
<Katenzhi> It's... complicated.
<Daifan> That sounds familiar.
<Daifan> Hopefully it is worth it.
<Katenzhi> Yeah. I mean... I just really hope this all settles down quickly but I have a feeling it's just the start.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I understand that feeling too...
<Katenzhi> So what is it that's got your life complicated? Other than working for the registry.
<Daifan> Oof.... so many things.
<Daifan> but definietly relationships :x
* Katenzhi smiles and raises an eyebrow.
<Katenzhi> Oh? Who've you got on the hook?
<Katenzhi> Anyone I know?
<Daifan> mmmmm maybe ^-^
<Daifan> there's a few - I don't know everyone you know though
<Katenzhi> Fair enough. I don't know how you can juggle that. I have my hands full already.
<Katenzhi> ...metaphorically.
* Daifan grins
<Daifan> well I did say it was complicated
<Daifan> But in some ways it is nice, too
<Katenzhi> I bet
<Daifan> Mmhmm ^-^
* Katenzhi laughs
<Daifan> Thyr'e all very different.
<Daifan> that's nice
<Katenzhi> Well, variety is always good.
<Daifan> there's that.... but slso I don't need any of them to be everything for me.
<Katenzhi> I don't need anyone to be everything for me. I just want someone to be there for me.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I'm very lucky that way, even without any of my partners.
<Katenzhi> Yeah, me too I suppose. I mean I have my family... difficult as that can be sometimes.
<Katenzhi> And you guys.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> one of the joys of being corpseborn is that we can choose our families.
* Katenzhi smiles.
* Katenzhi puts a hand on your shoulder.

Llillilli, Artep, and Veznara talk along the way


* Artep walks alongside Llillilli.
<Artep> So, it seems we are to be a sort of kin, soon enough!
<Llillilli> (yeah! I have a pole too! :D)
<Llillilli> Oh?
* Artep nods.
* Katenzhi will complain bitterly about having to walk instead of sail.
<Llillilli> Are you realted to Thelef?
<Artep> My wife Habashni is an Aanilaus, and cousin to him.
<Llillilli> (related)
<Llillilli> Ah, I see.
<Artep> I'm afraid I'm not fine with Hith words, your name, it is pronounced Lli-lli-lli, yes?
* Artep tries hard, it's close.
<Llillilli> Yes, that's pretty close.
* Llillilli smiles.
<Artep> My apologies.
<Llillilli> You don't have to... Really, it's better than most humans.
<Llillilli> A lot don't even try.
<Artep> Ah, well, that is too bad.
<Artep> You know that the sword is not going to be at this place, right?
<Llillilli> I mean... I hadn't really thought about it a lot one way or the other
<Llillilli> But what makes you say that? And why are we going if it isn't?
<Artep> I suppose one can never tell. But his lordship, he simply follows every lead he can find.
<Artep> He's a good man, very devoted to his ancestors, and to this cause.
<Llillilli> Ah.
<Llillilli> Well it's less stupid than our last job, anyway.
<Artep> And he has enough wealth that he can afford to pursue every possible path.
<Artep> I believe his mother is one of the Omban senators.
<Llillilli> Huh.
<Llillilli> Good for him, I guess?
<Artep> As I say, he's a good man. Bold, kind, fair. But he doesn't have much sense of the ordinary life.
<Jimba> Maybe he should have come out with us.
<Artep> He might have, if you asked him to, I think he would have.
<Artep> Honestly I think he may know that this isn't a likely lead, which is why he paid to have you sent, rather than going himself. I don't inquire as to the lordship's motives.
* Jimba nods.
<Llillilli> Guess we'll see
<Artep> I've worked alongside him for quite some time now. Our Order is, as any institution comprised of humans, deeply flawed. But some sentinels truly do embody the old values.
<Llillilli> What are those?
<Artep> Care for the weak, respect for the strong, love of ancestors. To not draw the khazkamma unless to use it well.
* Veznara nods
<Artep> I know it is strange that I should be loyal to him. There are many of my kin who have no love of Ombesh people. It is strange that I should be a sentinel at all, but he treats me as is proper, even though he uses old words like Osnabi to describe me.
<Llillilli> DO you mind it?
<Artep> Mind what?
<Llillilli> that he calls you that?
<Artep> Well, it is a fair description. This land is, or was, Osnabis.
* Llillilli nods.
<Llillilli> I don't think it's strange, if it satisfies you.
<Llillilli> People think it's strange that I should choose the ways of the People, to take a name in their language...
* Llillilli shrugs.
<Llillilli> I don't really care what they think.
<Artep> When one is as connected to one's ancestors as Dezren is, it is perhaps not surprising that he adopts their mannerisms.
<Artep> And my own clan, the Nugoptu, as with the Aanilaus and others, we have our own proud heritage, going back to the Empire. And he respects that also.
<Veznara> I wonder, Artep - do you know much about the area we're going to?
<Artep> I don't, not really. It's not an area any local folk have used, to my knowledge. Perhaps some of the riverfolk who live off the land?
<Veznara> Perhaps. I suppose we can ask any we come across on the way.
<Veznara> I understand that this place, Fort Kinjilai, had a bad reputation of being "cursed", though.
<Artep> I hadn't heard that.
<Veznara> Well, I'm not sure that it means anything.
<Artep> I do know that his lordship respects your learning, Hand Veznara. I believe that is why he requested your team to accompany me.
* Veznara smiles
<Llillilli> Cursed?
<Veznara> I'm glad. I have tried to help him and Lady Hegha in their inquiries before, and perhaps this time we'll be able to present them with real news!
<Veznara> Yes, Llillilli. Though that may only be from the point of view of the Ombans.
<Veznara> They withdrew from the fort a bit earlier than they did from other fortifications and settlements in the area.
<Llillilli> Better not be any persimmons
* Veznara grimaces
<Veznara> I guess we'll see.

They reach the ruins and investigate the area


<Ashnabis_GM> Okay, your travel continues throughout the day, and you can make camp overnight without too many problems.
<Ashnabis_GM> The next morning you can continue onwards, making slow but steady progress towards your goal.
<Ashnabis_GM> At last you begin to see a few signs that humans have been here, although by the condition of the weathered stones, it was many centuries past. Hints of a former road underfoot make your destination more evident, though.
<Ashnabis_GM> Eventually you reach what might once have been a landing, a stone platform with steps, now cracked in half by the shifting of the land beneath it. It still juts out into the water, but now slanted at an uneasy angle.
<Ashnabis_GM> Beyond that, you can see the remains of a larger structure, a fort. Its stone foundations are green with moss and algae, but beneath that you can see the basic outlines of its shape, rectangular and once-imposing.
<Ashnabis_GM> It must once have been a much larger structure, but presumably any wood has long since rotted away in the wet conditions of the swamp, leaving only the stones to tell that anyone was here.
<Ashnabis_GM> It is on the highest ground around, which still isn't especially high in this area, but enough that you imagine some of its stones must be visible even when the water is much higher, leading to the tales of this site that the locals tell.
<Ashnabis_GM> A slow-moving stream meanders through the midst of this area, pooling out into a few wider ponds before moving sluggishly off to the east.
<Ashnabis_GM> No doubt the river's path has changed in the intervening centuries, leaving some parts of the ruins cut off from others. Jutting up from the murky water, you can see stones, indicating that some structures still lie below the surface.
<Ashnabis_GM> To the south of the stream, you can see some more ruins, these ones even more decrepit and crumbling than the larger building to the north. These areas are no doubt under water most of the time, only exposed now by the unusually dry weather.
<Katenzhi> Well... that looks inviting.
<Ashnabis_GM> (This is the area you can see in roll20. I just put you guys sort of in between the landing area and the fort.)
<Artep> Indeed.
* Artep replies, in a way that you aren't quite sure is sarcastic.
<Llillilli> (is it totally dry now, or still sort of swampy?)
<Daifan> mmhmm :|
<AshnabisNarrator> The area in the north, where the big fort is, is quite dry. But to the south, around the stream, it is still swampy.
<Katenzhi> Even if the sword is in there, wouldn't it have rusted to bits by now?
<Jimba> There might be bits of it left.
<Artep> It is one of the most ancient and powerful khazkamma swords. It will not have rusted.
<Jimba> Ah, okay.
<Jimba> Good to know.
<Katenzhi> Huh.
<Artep> One of those from the battle at Endazh, centuries before this fort was built, even.
<Artep> Once there were ninety, but of those, only forty-nine still survive in our Order's possession.
<Llillilli> Alrighty
<Daifan> hmm
<Veznara> (Can I tell which parts of the fort might have served which purposes? Like, where would the barracks me, and where would records be kept?)
<AshnabisNarrator> (not really ... it's pretty ruined)
* Veznara frowns
<Ashnabis_GM> So, let us know how you want to proceed from here - if you want to look closer at any specific areas or whatever.
<Veznara> (Is that circular area a well?)
<Katenzhi> Well... I guess we should check the drier parts first. Unless anyone is just dying to go swimming in that.
<Ashnabis_GM> the little circle straight north of you guys? yes, it was a well.
* Llillilli shrugs
<Daifan> no thank you :x
<Daifan> I think that makes sense.
<Veznara> As long as we stick together...
* Jimba will make sure the dogs are on alert.
<Jimba> I guess let's search this building in front of us? Have to start somewhere, right?
* Daifan nods
<Veznara> I suppose. There is that guard-tower looking thing behind us, but it seems to be mostly collapsed...
<Jimba> Everything in turn, right? I imagine we'll have to search the whole place.
* Veznara nods.
* Daifan will just lean on their stick and wait for someone to make a decision
<Katenzhi> Well, I plan to stop if we find the sword.
<Katenzhi> Personally.
<Veznara> Did we bring poles to test whether the ground is solid?
<Llillilli> I did.
<Daifan> Mmhmmm
<Daifan> I don't want to fall into anything
<Ashnabis_GM> Okay, you can move yourselves as appropriate, and make Perception rolls as you look at the main fortification area (or what is left of it).
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+11
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 30 ].
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 27 ].
<Ashnabis_GM> Looking around the fort, it seems to be pretty thoroughly picked clean of anything that might have been left here. Presumably this area, being on the highest ground, is more often accessible when water levels are low, so if there ever was anything of value left here, it's been long since removed.
<Veznara> (Any areas that look like they may *not* have been picked clean - partially concealed, or what have you?)
<Ashnabis_GM> However, Veznara and Llillilli, you do get a bit more of a sense of the layout of this place at least. The area to the south of the water must be where the barracks and storage buildings were, while this was the fortified area they would keep watch from, or retreat into to defend if necessary. Probably if anything remains of interest, it would be in the more southern area, which is more
<Ashnabis_GM> usually covered by water.
<Llillilli> We're gonna have to go into the muck.
<Ashnabis_GM> You two, as well as Jimba and Daifan, can also see something from the higher vantage point: You notice what looks like the head of a stone statue sticking up from the center of one of these pools of murky water. It is covered in mud and moss, but recognizable as a human figure nevertheless.
* Daifan sighs in resignation
<Katenzhi> Well... I might be able to help with that a bit.
* Veznara grimaces and nods
<Veznara> Yes. If we find anything of interest, I suspect it will be there.
<Jimba> Well, let's to it, then.
<Katenzhi> I've never done this myself but I saw another manifest lower the water level in a river once. It might be worth a shot.
<Jimba> Or me and/or Llillilli can go check it out. It's not a big deal.
<Llillilli> I don't mind getting dirty.
<Katenzhi> Wouldn't you be blind in that mud?
<Veznara> It's not dirt I'm worried about! It's the creatures that may live there. :/
* Llillilli shrugs
<Llillilli> We can try your spell if you want.
<Jimba> How hard is it to lower the water level?
<Jimba> And how much can you lower it?
<Katenzhi> I mean the manifest I saw do it went blind for three days, but also she was kinda crap, so...
<Katenzhi> Maybe about ten feet?
<Llillilli> where did the water... go?
<Katenzhi> To the sides.
<Jimba> I'd say be careful, but, I mean, there's not much for it.
<Daifan> ...
<Veznara> (What would that human statue be? Would it represent a particular part of the fort?)
<Ashnabis_GM> You don't think it would be a typical standard part of a fort, Veznara.
<Ashnabis_GM> So you aren't sure what it might represent.
<Katenzhi> I mean if one of you wants to go down there, I'm perfectly willing to save the fos.
<Katenzhi> Just giving us options.
* Llillilli sighs.
<Llillilli> Alright, I'm going.
<Veznara> Be careful, Llillilli!
* Llillilli picks up her pole and heads to the pool.
<Llillilli> Yup
<Katenzhi> Yeah, first sign of trouble you run.
* Jimba will go with her.
* Daifan will at least move close enough to give them good luck :3
<Ashnabis_GM> Ok, another Perception check please.
<Jimba> !roll 1d20+9
* Lan-werk rolls for Jimba: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 14 ].
<Jimba> (ugh)
<Ashnabis_GM> (and put yourselves wherever you want to be on the map)
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 28 ].
<Veznara> (Don't forget the dogs!)
<Daifan> (I moved you on the map Hazel)
<Llillilli> (ty)
<Veznara> (They too should be within Hallowing distance. :P )
<Llillilli> (I'm starting my gravy rn but still trying to keep up ^-^)

A metal-encased being emerges from the water and attacks them


<Ashnabis_GM> Llillilli, you notice a ripple in the water, something large moving beneath the surface, coming in your direction.
<Ashnabis_GM> With a grinding, metallic sound, a figure emerges from the water, striding implacably in your direction. It looks like a man fully covered in ancient armor, carrying a large hammer, dripping mud and water and trailing weeds as it approaches you, raising its weapon...
<Ashnabis_GM> (so we will go to roll20 and roll initiative)
<Katenzhi> ...that's definitely a sign of trouble.
<Llillilli> Ew
<Veznara> (Does this look like a bubun?)
<Ashnabis_GM> it looks like a suit of armor. it's fully made of metal as far as you can see.
<Veznara> (Aw. And here I was hoping I could get a second friend. :P )
<Ashnabis_GM> (well, on your turn you can make a k:religion roll if you want to)
<Jimba> I'll move over to stand by Llillilli and between the thing and everybody else. I'll ready an action to attack if it closes, and I'll call out, "Hey, we don't want any trouble."
<Ashnabis_GM> Ok - you are shaken (meaning -2 to your rolls). You can still take that action though.
<Ashnabis_GM> Alright, Artep's turn I guess? he can also make a save.
<Ashnabis_GM> ok, Llillilli's turn to make a Will save.
<Llillilli> (I'm assuming this save is fear based)
<Ashnabis_GM> it is.
<Ashnabis_GM> that makes it, so you are unfazed by this thing.
<Llillilli> (NICE) (I will ready an action to attack if it makes an aggressive move).
<Ashnabis_GM> now the creature's turn. it will come onto land and try to attack Llillilli since she's closest. so you can take your actions, those who were readying I guess.
<Ashnabis_GM> Okay, you stab at it with your pfethes. You hit, but it doesn't seem to have too much effect on the creature, at least not as much as it normally should.
* Llillilli frowns, but isn't surprised tbh
<Ashnabis_GM> ok, then the creature takes its swing at Llillilli with its hammer.
<Ashnabis_GM> ok, it swings and misses as Llillilli evades it. Daifan's turn.
* Daifan will use Fortune (+2 now bonuses now :)
<Ashnabis_GM> ok, Veznara's turn
<Veznara> (Do I get that K:Religion roll as a free action?)
<Ashnabis_GM> let's say it's a move-equivalent action, as you need to examine it a bit. you can make the roll to see if you've ever heard of anything like this creature, and then you can also move or take an action, but not both as well as examining it.
<Ashnabis_GM> You do believe that this is somehow related to stoneguards - the hammer is a key symbol of that group, which means this being is guarding something. You could attempt to command it like a bubun and see if that works, but you really don't know if it would or not.
<Veznara> (I will then use Hallowed Shroud to ensure that even if it hits, it has a 20% chance of missing anyway.)
<Ashnabis_GM> (I realized I had to check how many rounds Jimba was shaken for. the answer is 5)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> and Artep too
<Ashnabis_GM> yes, we'll assume the same for him
<Veznara> Oh great and revered Ancestors, provide us your protection! Lead the strikes of this opponent astray, and defend us against its attacks!
<Veznara> (With Frightful Hallow it now has to make a fear save of its own, except I'm sure it's immune to fear. :P ) (But DC 17, just in case! ^_^)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> uh huh
<Veznara> (I assume I can't also try to command it this turn.)
<Ashnabis_GM> correct, that would be next turn if you want to try it. Katenzhi, your turn to make a Will save (at a +2 bonus thanks to Daifan)
<Ashnabis_GM> ok, you're shaken, so -2 to your rolls for 5 rounds.
* Katenzhi will activate her zone of confusion. This thing can just suck on two different 20% miss chances.
* Katenzhi will also do a step to the left.
<Ashnabis_GM> okay - I think that brings us back to Jimba
<Jimba> Can I move through the water?
<Ashnabis_GM> the water at the edge (the area that is slightly lighter blue) can be waded through though it would be difficult terrain. the darker blue areas would be over your head and you'd need to swim.
<Jimba> I'll move around to there and attack.
<Ashnabis_GM> ok. Much like Llillilli, you know your attack connected but you don't think it did as much damage as it normally would have. The thing is heavily armored.
<Ashnabis_GM> Llillilli's turn
<Jimba> We might want to think about running!
<Llillilli> (Ugh. I'll try to disarm it. I don't know.)
<Ashnabis_GM> Ok. You try to disarm it, but are unable to do so. It gets an AOO as you try, also.
<Llillilli> (I probably should have just used one attack but oh well)
<Ashnabis_GM> and misses you again
<Llillilli> (ha ha suck it)
<Ashnabis_GM> ok, I guess Artep is up next
<Ashnabis_GM> that'll hit
<Ashnabis_GM> ok, his sword clangs on the metal as it connects. The creature's going to swing at Artep this time, since it can't seem to hit Llillilli for shit ;p
<Llillilli> :3
<Ashnabis_Narrator> yes, indeed, it did roll a :3. Twice.
<Ashnabis_GM> and it can take a full attack since it isn't moving this round, so two swings of the hammer against Artep
<Ashnabis_Narrator>I shouldn't have mocked it
<Veznara> (Noooooo! Artep! D-: )
<Ashnabis_GM> do both those hit, or just one?
<Ashnabis_Narrator> looks like both
<Katenzhi> Don't forget miss chances
<Ashnabis_Narrator> oh right
<Ashnabis_GM> yes, so I have to roll above 20% twice? for each attack?
<Ashnabis_Narrator> twice for each, yes
<Veznara> (Come on, Ancestors... :/ )
<Ashnabis_GM> okay the second one is a miss, then
<Veznara> (Yay!)
<Katenzhi> (If you can't beat 'em, annoy 'em!)
<Ashnabis_GM> 9 damage to Artep
<Ashnabis_GM> Daifan's turn next
<Daifan> (Fortune again, and I will make that prception roll if I can?)
<Ashnabis_GM> to look for weaknesses or anything?
<Daifan> (yeah)
<Ashnabis_GM> Daifan, you think that it's staying near to the body of water. You're not sure if it's literally unable to go too far away from that, or if it's choosing to stay close to the water, but it doesn't seem inclined to move too far from that area.
<Daifan> It doesn't want to leave the water...
<Llillilli> ... So that's probably where the sword is
<Ashnabis_GM> :Veznara is up next, if Daifan is finished?
<Veznara> (Then I will try to command it to stop.)
<Ashnabis_GM> Ok. you have to make a Diplomacy check.
<Ashnabis_GM> it resists your command. But you think it can be commanded, it just isn't listening to you.
<Veznara> (Next round! )
<Ashnabis_Narrator> Katenzhi.
<Katenzhi> Can I use Ice Spear? I assume there's water all around us.
<Ashnabis_GM> yes, there is
<Katenzhi> Cool, then reflex save from it
<Ashnabis_GM> presumably you have to roll to cast the spell first...
<Katenzhi> Oh right, duh
<Veznara> (Please don't spontaneously generate a Fireball around you. :/ )
<Katenzhi> ...(That... that's my third nat 1 tonight.)
<Ashnabis_GM> I literally just heard Steve clapping from all the way downstairs
<Ashnabis_Narrator> heeee
<Ashnabis_Narrator> so the spell still takes effect, you missed by 6, and you have spell success and you roll twice for bad things
<Katenzhi> On 2b, correct?
<Veznara> (I notice that I'm closest if she goes into berserker rage. >_< )
<Ashnabis_Narrator> yes
<Ashnabis_Narrator> hallucinations for the next 10 minutes, or the next time you use fos it takes twice as much?
<Katenzhi> What are the effects of the hallucinations?
<Ashnabis_Narrator> idk, actually
<Katenzhi> I guess I'd have to find out.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> like dropping acid for the first time, you won't know till you try :)
<Ashnabis_GM> I would assume it would impede your actions for the next 10 min.
<Veznara> (You think we're all turned into steins of beer and skinsful of wine. :/ )
<Nary R (GM)> how much, I guess we'd have to determine.
<Katenzhi> Sure, why not. Let's go with that one and spice things up a bit.
<Ashnabis_GM> ok, spicy hallucinations ahoy :)
<Katenzhi> so reflex roll?
<Ashnabis_GM> yes, I guess it still needs to make that.
<Katenzhi> 5 piercing, 8 cold and 24 for the trip attack
<Ashnabis_Narrator> ok that's fine, it doesn't trip
<Katenzhi> (cool)
<Ashnabis_GM> and you also need to make a caster level check. which ... is just a level check, really, since anyone can be a caster, but whatevs.
<Ashnabis_GM> ok, cool, that did seem to hurt it somewhat. Jimba's turn.
<Ashnabis_GM> you are flanking with Artep, yeah. so with that, you do hit. (if it's 22 instead of 20)
<Jimba> Seriously, we should pull back if it's staying near the water.
<Jimba> (And ready an action to move away if everyone else does.)
<Ashnabis_GM> ok. Llillilli's turn next.
<Llillilli> >:| I'm going to try to disarm it again :v
<Llillilli> (fuck youuuu buddy)
<Ashnabis_GM> that succeeds in disarming it. You manage to extract the hammer from its gauntleted hands. it gets an AOO as you do so though.
<Katenzhi> (Nice!)
<Llillilli> (HA HA HA HAHAAAAAAAAAAA... can I take a move eq to kick it away tho)
<Ashnabis_GM> I'll presume it makes one last swing with the hammer at you as you are pulling it out of its hands, basically.
<Ashnabis_GM> it misses
<Katenzhi> (Wooo!)
<Veznara> (W00t!)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> dangit!
<Llillilli> (YES>>> LLILLILLI RULESSSSSSSSSSS)
<Katenzhi> (lol)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> I mean .. I have no opinion on this matter
<Ashnabis_GM> Ok, the hammer is out of its grasp and you can kick it aside.
<Llillilli> (ho ho ho)
<Llillilli> (artep should grab it >.>)
<Llillilli> (actually...)
<Llillilli> Grab it, Artep!
* Llillilli shouts
<Ashnabis_GM> Artep's turn
* Artep grabs the hammer, then
<Artep> (can I also attack?)
<Daifan> (man just chuck it inland in case it goes after it :V)
<Ashnabis_GM> I would assume you can attack, yeah. not a full attack since you presumably had to drop and pick up a new weapon, but I can't find anything in the rules that tells me differently at least
<Katenzhi> (Usually picking up or stowing a weapon is a move action, yeah)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> All right, I'll attack ... with the hammer I guess?
<Ashnabis_GM> Artep: on the one hand... the traditional sword of my honored ancestors. onthe other hand, magic weapon?

)


<Ashnabis_GM> sure go ahead and attack with the hammer
<Katenzhi> (Oh man, if you kill this thing with its own weapon... mega badass points)
<Veznara> (Rip off one of its arms and beat it to death with that! :-D )
<Ashnabis_GM> that seemed to affect it much more than previous attacks
<Llillilli> (How curious! :v)
<Ashnabis_Narrator> By Grabthar's hammer, what a savings!
<Ashnabis_GM> hee
<Ashnabis_GM> the creature is going to attack Llillilli and Artep with one slam attack each, I guess. Just Frankensteining it with both hands.
<Ashnabis_GM> Llillilli first, then Artep, and then I'll roll for miss chances.
<Ashnabis_GM> first one, on Llillilli, misses, Artep is hit however.
<Veznara> (Poor Artep. :/ )
<Llillilli> (miss me miss me now you gotta kiss me)
<Ashnabis_GM> 12 damage on Artep
<Veznara> (Ow. Ow. Ow. :/ )
<Ashnabis_Narrator> ouch.
<Ashnabis_GM> he's still standing?
<Ashnabis_Narrator> sure is!
<Ashnabis_GM> ok, cool. Daifan next.
<Daifan> Fortune from me
<Ashnabis_GM> Veznara's turn
* Veznara tries once more to take control of the construct and make it stop.
<Katenzhi> (NICE)
<Ashnabis_GM> you feel its will bend to your own, but it's a struggle. You don't think you can hold it very long.
<Veznara> In the name of the Ancestors, and the great General Kezondo, stop!
* Veznara visibly strains to force it to obey her will!
<Ashnabis_GM> The creature stops.
<Veznara> Hurry... I cannot hold it long...
* Artep cries out "Shall I smash it further, good Hand?"
<Katenzhi> (Veznara, now is the time for some "Stop hitting yourself!")
<Veznara> Hold for now... attacking it may break the control!
<Jimba> (The water is all murky, right?
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (yes, Jimba)
<Jimba> (fuck it)
<Katenzhi> Jimba, LLillilli! Go see if the sword is down there!
* Jimba is going to dive into the pool to try to find the sword.
<Ashnabis_GM> ok, you can be doing that. Llillilli's turn is next.
<Katenzhi> I'm downing fos and readying another Ice Spike for if she loses control of this thing.
<Ashnabis_GM> ok (sorry, skimming along quickly here, so we can get done with this bit before Tuck has to leave, hopefully)
<Llillilli> (how about I look for the sword :p)
<Ashnabis_GM> You can also jump in the water and look around.
<Llillilli> (since I can't drown and I have zero move penalties)
<Ashnabis_GM> Artep's turn - is he just continuing to hold his action in case it breaks free?
<Ashnabis_Narrator> sure I guess so
<Jimba> (Hey, I can hold my breath for 13 minutes. I can help. :p )
<Veznara> (I'll just concentrate on keeping the construct under control, and warning folks when I think it's about to break free...)
<Ashnabis_GM> the creature stands there on its turn. Daifan, your action?
<Ashnabis_GM> Veznara, for what it's worth, a bubun - or whatever this is - would not turn against you if you attack it. it's not like a charm effect. so in theory you could just tell folks to whale on it until it falls down, maybe. I mean, this is a weird case, so you can't be sure, but if it was a bubun you could do that.
<Veznara> (I will explain that, then, if it looks like it will take more time to explore this area...)
<Veznara> (I'm just worried that since is isn't a bubun, it may not work that way. :P )
<Ashnabis_GM> or you could go up to it and try to open up the armor, or something like that.
<Jimba> (Does it count as helpless? Can Artep coup de grace it?)
<Ashnabis_GM> if she commands it not to defend itself, I assume he could. for now she just told it to stop.
<Veznara> (Will attempting the second command cancel the first one?)
<Ashnabis_GM> no, once you have command you can give it other commands (within reason) for the duration you have control. So you could say "turn around and go back in the lake" or "sit down" or whatever and that doesn't require a different check.
<Daifan> (i'm going to hold off on fortun if it looks to have stopped)
<Daifan> How long will it obey for?
<Veznara> (Okay then, maybe that's safer. Loathe though I am to destroy a guardian...)
<Ashnabis_GM> 7 rounds in this case. but I don't think Veznara can know the duration - just that she doesn't think it will last very long.
<Veznara> Not long. I can perhaps hold it in place while you destroy it.... Llillilli, Jimba, if you don't find something quickly, that may be the best course.
<Ashnabis_Narrator> (artep smash?)
<Ashnabis_GM> Artep can hammer at it until it falls over, sure. it just stands there and takes it until it collapses.
<Artep> For the honour of the Nugoptu!
* Veznara will go over and examine the remains and the hammer, and say a blessing
<Veznara> Now your watch is ended... :(

They find a stone statue of a man in the water, as well as various other goods


<Llillilli> (swim swim swim)
<Veznara> Artep, you are wounded! :/
<Daifan> What was that?
* Artep pants heavily - he has clearly been seriously injured, but is invigorated from all the smashing!
<Ashnabis_GM> Veznara, inside the shell of the armor, where it's broken open, you can see the remains of preserved human skin and bone - someone was sealed inside the metal vessel.
<Artep> That was ... that was brutal.
<Katenzhi> Yeah, no kidding. Why is the sky red?
<Daifan> mmhmm...
<Artep> Why is ... what?
* Katenzhi is staring at the sky.
<Daifan> what?
<Daifan> are you okay?
* Daifan asks Kat
* Veznara frowns
<Ashnabis_GM> It looks like a very old and worn-out bubun, except that you can see what looks like metal thread sewn through the skin in places as if to reinforce it or hold it together. Clearly the body was treated before being put into this casing, for it to have lasted this long, but it is not really identifiable as any particular age or sex any longer.
<Veznara> (Do I know anything about this sort of practice?)
<Daifan> huh
<Ashnabis_GM> Llillilli and Jimba, you can search around in the water to see what you are able to find. You can swim down into the murky water and dig around in the mud, basically.
<Katenzhi> Are the clouds... I'm not... I don't feel so great.
<Ashnabis_GM> The main thing you find is the statue that had been visible from the surface.
* Daifan peeks at ti but is trying to keep an eye on the swimmers in case there's any more trouble, and is also worries about Kat
<Daifan> You shoudl sit down
<Veznara> Oh, Artep - you are wounded! We must tend to you.
* Daifan will lead her over to a rock or someplace drier
<Artep> I am ... I am well enough, Hand Veznara.
<Daifan> both of you
* Katenzhi will sit but keeps staring at her hands.
<Ashnabis_GM> The sculpture is the figure of a man dressed in ancient Omban clothing, but not a heroic statue of a triumphant warrior. This man seems to be strong and still fairly young, perhaps in his 20s or 30s, but is scarred with wounds and his face is lined and contorted with pain and sorrow. His neck and limbs are all skewed at unnatural angles.
<Ashnabis_GM> All in all, it is a highly detailed and realistic sculpture of a man who seems to have undergone some kind of torture or suffered serious injury. It rests on the bottom of the pond, up to its knees or so in mud.
<Llillilli> (is there anything around/in the base of the statue?)
<Veznara> I am sure you are. But we have a moment... let us take advantage of it to be sure.
<Ashnabis_GM> At the foot of the statue, once you clear away mud, are some items - perhaps lain there as offerings or tribute, or deposited involuntarily by unfortunate victims of this metal-clad guardian?
<Ashnabis_GM> Searching around in the muck of this area, you can locate a gold-plated drinking horn, a copper torc, a handful of ivory game pieces, a number of old coins and some other items of jewelry, and, at the very base of the statue, a green silk banner that has somehow survived being submerged and coated in mud for who knows how many years. No sword, though.
* Veznara will examine Artep's wounds and make sure he's okay
* Jimba will help haul all that up.
* Artep is very seriously tenderized.
<Veznara> (Can I do anything to help him? Beyond basic bandaging, I guess.)
<Veznara> (I have Healing now. :D )
<Ashnabis_GM> The swimmers can safely emerge with those items, and people can look around further now that the immediate threat is passed if they choose.
<Artep> What did you find?
<Llillilli> Just a bunch of junk. And a scarf that might be magic, I dunno
* Daifan will make sure Kat is relatively okay and that Veznara isn't making anything wirse for Artep
<Katenzhi> Where did all these rabbits come from?
<Daifan> (worse)
* Llillilli holds up the green silk.
<Daifan> You're seeing things...
<Veznara> (Thpffft.)
<Artep> This hammer is no ordinary tool.
* Katenzhi holds out her fingers and makes cooing noises to an invisible bunny.
<Jimba> I shouldn't think so, no.
<Artep> Those things, they were ... just down there in the water?
<Jimba> At the base of the statue.
<Artep> ... The Stone Prince.
<Veznara> (Does that mean anything to me?)
<Llillilli> That statue is really messed up looking.
<AshnabisNarrator> (you can make a ... K:local, perhaps, Veznara?)
<Ashnabis_GM> Llillilli, as you unfurl it, you can make out a symbol in gold on the banner, three diamond shapes stacked.
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+7
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 9 ].
<Jimba> Yeah, it's a bit disturbing.
<Veznara> ...I don't know who that is.
<Artep> It's just a story told by the small folk. The Stone Prince and the Iron Knight.
<Veznara> Oh?
<Artep> I would tell it, but your friend seems greatly to need aid.
<Llillilli> (does the symbol mean anything to us?)
* Artep motions to Katenzhi.
<Ashnabis_GM> (I guess if anyone has k:nobility they can try to roll it)
* Katenzhi is nodding meaningfully at a bush.
<Llillilli> (lollll nope... we need junan)
<Veznara> !roll 1d20+7
* Lan-werk rolls for Veznara: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 15 ].
* Daifan will lead her over to him if she'll let him
<Artep> !roll 1d20+4
* Lan-werk rolls for Artep: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 20 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 24 ].
<Daifan> She's living in her imagination right now.... having a real good time -_-
<Daifan> its probably the fos?
<Ashnabis_GM> Veznara, you don't recognize the symbol.
<Artep> It is the banner of the Odazhi lineage. That has not existed for a long time.
<Veznara> (Roll something for the lineage? :D )
<Ashnabis_GM> k:nob again, based on the name
<AshnabisNarrator> (no, you rolled already for that)
<Ashnabis_GM> (oh okay, fair. it's true, you did already roll)
<Llillilli> (GM FIGHT)
<Veznara> Who were they?
<Artep> One of the old Omban families. They went extinct during the occupation here.
<Artep> Do you suppose the Prince and his knight were Odazhis?
<Jimba> Could be.
<Jimba> Do you think there's more to find?
* Jimba glances around.
<Artep> I don't know. The story doesn't say.
<Daifan> What is the story?
<Artep> Is your friend ... well enough for me to tell it?
<Daifan> Can you help her?
* Llillilli shrugs. "Can't hurt to look around some more."
<Artep> I cannot.
<Llillilli> WHat *is
* with her?
* Daifan shrugs
* Artep sits back and recounts a tale.
<Artep> ( http://rocksfall.org/wiki/The_Stone_Prince_and_the_Iron_Knight )
<Daifan> (I mean I can look her over with a heal check bt I assume there's nothing obviously wrong other than she was doing magic)
<Daifan> !roll 1d20+13
* Lan-werk rolls for Daifan: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 22 ].
<Daifan> I think its fos...
<Daifan> Hopefully ti will pass
* Daifan says, peering close in Katenzhi's eyes
<Jimba> Huh. So, this would be the Iron Knight?
* Llillilli frowns.
<Artep> Evidently. And the statue the Stone Prince.
<Jimba> So, the cursed sword...
* Jimba looks back at the pool.
<Jimba> I'm getting real sick of ruins and curses.
<Artep> It may be in there? I don't know. But this does not look like an ordinary knight.
* Artep gestures to the armored thing.
* Veznara frowns
<Artep> Perhaps we should examine its armor?
<Llillilli> It looks like a dead guy.
* Llillilli says flatly.
<Artep> It does, true. But also like a Stoneguard, with its hammer. A knight would have a sword, most likely.
<Veznara> No. I've never seen such a thing before...
<Veznara> In any case, I think we must bring it back with us, and see that the remains are treated properly.
<Daifan> And take him away from his prince?
* Jimba gives Veznara a look.
<Daifan> That seems the wrong way to treat him :
<Jimba> Do you know how much this thing must weigh?
<Daifan> :x
<Artep> We cannot simply leave it out here like this, though.
<Veznara> He can protect his Prince no longer.
<Ashnabis_GM> (about 500 lbs!)
<Veznara> He no longer needs the armor.
<Ashnabis_GM> (according to the book anyway. it seems like alot. but you could indeed remove the body from the armor and just take that, if you were so inclined.)
<Daifan> can't yo just put him to rest here?
<Artep> Come, let's take the armor off him then.
* Jimba nods and will help Artep.
<Jimba> I guess if we have to.
<Daifan> :/
* Artep clearly knows his way around a suit of armor, and makes quick work of it.
<Ashnabis_GM> Inside the metal shell, you find a stone tablet engraved with an inscription hung about the corpse's neck - like the bustul worn by family members of bubun, perhaps, although it isn't quite the same, being worn in this case by one already dead.
<Ashnabis_GM> The letters are quite archaic, but you can try to read them (assuming you can read).
* Veznara examines the bustul carefully.
<Ashnabis_GM> The inscription as far as you can make it out reads: "Buhin Odazhi, kinsman of General Lentus Odazhi, gave his life as guardian of the stone."
<Ashnabis_GM> Also within the casing, you are able to find a gold earring, a brooch or clasp made of tortoiseshell, and a belt buckle of tarnished copper. Any other clothing or items have long since rotted away.
<Katenzhi> Ugh... what the fuck... is going on...
<Daifan> you were hallucinating...
<Katenzhi> Bring back the rabbits...
* Veznara will Hallow once more in reverent prayer
* Katenzhi rubs her temples.
<Jimba> Hey, welcome back, Kat.
<Katenzhi> Fuck... Whatever I did remind me to never do that again...
<Veznara> We must take this body to the Temple of the Voice.
<Artep> That's a long haul across difficult land. But you're right.
* Veznara nods
* Daifan just sghs and shrughs
<Daifan> . o O (sorry princey)
<Artep> And ... the ... prince?
<Jimba> Still seems odd. I mean, if he wanted to be laid to rest here, we should honor that.
<Daifan> may as well smash him too :p
<Veznara> I don't know... do you suppose there is another body encased in that stone?
<Veznara> The Voice will be able to consult this Ancestor, Jimba. If that is what he wants, he will tell them.
<Artep> I don't know.
<Artep> Llillilli, you said something about its appearance?
<Daifan> They won't bring him back out here.
<Daifan> you know that.
<Veznara> I don't know what they will do. But perhaps this is why the Ancestors permitted the water level to fall here - so we could find this, and bring the body back.
<Veznara> Or both bodies, if there is indeed another.
<Llillilli> Oh the statue?
<Jimba> I don't think that's how that works...
<Llillilli> He looked all cut up.
* Artep nods.
<Artep> Well ... you are right that there is nothing else to be done here. Can your bubun carry the body alone or do you need me to help?
<Veznara> (Can the bubun do it? I imagine so, once the armor is off.)
<Ashnabis_GM> (yeah, once the armor is off it's quite light really.)
<Artep> (yes once the armor is off)
<Veznara> It should be able to do it, Artep. You should take it easy anyway - you are still bravely wounded.
<Veznara> I suppose we could also take the armor, in pieces, if it doesn't weigh too much.
<Veznara> But the body is the most important. He deserves to take his place among the Ancestors.
<Ashnabis_GM> the armor is very heavy, it would take everyone carrying some pieces of it and even then it would be a lot of extra weight.
* Daifan rolls their eyes so hard
<Artep> Was that a text around its neck, like a bustul?
* Daifan is not going to do that
<Veznara> Yes. We should take that, at least.
<Veznara> It identifies him as Buhin Odazhi, kinsman of General Lentus Odazhi.
<Daifan> YOu're taking him *away* form his kin :p
* Artep considers that for a moment.
<Daifan> his lineage is dead - what are the voce going to do :p
<Artep> Perhaps.
<Veznara> Daifan, ENOUGH.
<Daifan> why?
<Jimba> Yeah, she can speak her mind like everyone else.
<Daifan> YOu don't get to tell me what to think, or say :p
<Daifan> What you are doing is wrong.
<Jimba> And I, for one, am finding her argument pretty convincing. It feels like we should just lay him to rest here.
* Veznara glares at Daifan.
* Daifan is unphased, or at best, disdainful
<Artep> I think we should take the body to its descendants.
<Veznara> This is a religious matter. The remains of Ancestors are the province of the Hand and the Voice.
<Daifan> what descendants.
<Daifan> You said the ineage is dead.
<Artep> The Odazhi lineage, yes.
<Artep> But not the Lentu.
<Daifan> I don't think this guy was making any descendants :p
<Artep> Lentu is an Aummesh word ... it means 'pebble'.
<Jimba> But it was laid to rest here, wasn't it?
<Llillilli> yeah.
<Veznara> No.
<Llillilli> Pretty deliberately, seems like.
<Veznara> He was not "resting".
<Artep> It was not laid to rest here. It was ... transformed.
<Artep> And now, here in the swamp, it will surely rot away.
<Artep> It must, at least, be preserved.
<Artep> That is something a Voice priest alone could do.
<Artep> If we wish to speak to it, to consult it on its wishes.
* Jimba sighs.
<Llillilli> Whatever, it's a corpse no one has missed for... hundreds of years, but you do what you want
<Veznara> As only the Voice can do.
<Artep> I am suggesting that this ... Buhin ... may have descendants. How would we know?
<Jimba> I still don't like it, but if you're planning on consulting him, fine.
<Daifan> . o O (I hope he curses you :p)
<Artep> The Lentu lineage are simple folk, with no ancestor that I know. But what if this is one?
* Daifan doesn't think he can, but hey
<Veznara> It is for the Voice to determine. Come, Artep. Let us see that this is done as it should be.
* Artep helps!
<Llillilli> Fuck they're obnoxious,
* Llillilli mutters to Jimba and Daifan
<Daifan> mmhmmm.
<Jimba> [q] Poor Artep. He's just trying to help.
<Jimba> All right, well, I guess we should get going. Don't want to waste the daylight.