Ashnabis session 12

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ashnabis session logs
Previous Session 12 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: June 9, 2019
Fair Cycle date:


Prologue


<AshnabisNarrator> Every year Fort Kaskind becomes more worthy of the name, or so you've been told by folks who've lived here several years. You can see what they mean these past few weeks.
<AshnabisNarrator> Shosolda's fine weather is ideal for construction work. New shipments of stone and lumber from abroad, as well as local materials, are being used to expand the imprint of the fort on the town of Kaskind as well as to reinforce and build up what is already here.
<AshnabisNarrator> It does make you wonder what you're defending yourself from, though.

The group receive instructions from Utus


<AshnabisNarrator> This morning, Utus has summoned you to a meeting with a representative from the fort. He has informed you to prepare for a trip that could take several days.
<AshnabisNarrator> You head to his office where he has laid out some maps of the territory, including many of the outlying areas.
<AshnabisNarrator> In addition to Utus, a sentinel in uniform stands in the room, peering at the map.
* Llillilli shows up armed and armored then...
* Sentinel is a short, stocky young woman with black hair that reaches to her shoulders, wearing the riding coat and sash of a sentinel, and carrying a sword.
* Utus is dressed relatively formally, with his envoy's cap set aside on the table but where it is still visible.
<Utus> Good morning. Please come in.
* Daifan will come in and sit in their corner after a quick look around the laid out maps
<Utus> This is Nend Zelbai, who has been sent over from the fort. She will be accompanying you on this trip.
* Llillilli glances over the maps.
* Jimba will offer a respectable greeting and sit.
<Llillilli> Trip where?
* Sentinel is now known as Nend
* Junan finds a seat
<AshnabisNarrator> The maps seem to be of the area around the colony, including outlying areas. More than that, you can't tell.
<Utus> Nend, perhaps you could explain to the agents as you explained it to me.
<Nend> Certainly.
<Nend> The General and her advisors are growing increasingly concerned with the security of the colony from the sea. Some recent pirate activity, coupled with some political tensions with the Basaian colony up the coast at Charadip, and tensions between Choradan and some of its neighbours, have given reason for concern.
<Nend> General Ghurtai has thus resolved that what we need is not simply a lighthouse, but a fortified watchtower to be set in the bay, far enough away from the fort itself to allow sufficient warning in case of a sea incursion.
* Nend points to one of the maps laid out on the table.
<Nend> That means the island of Ruur, here in the bay, occupies a great strategic importance.
<Nend> Until now, there has been little interest in Ruur, because its rocky soil is not suitable for fos farming. So we've largely left it alone. That is now going to change.
<Nend> The colony is asserting its right to protect itself and thus asserting territorial rights over the island and over the Auggi along the coast, as well.
* Llillilli frowns.
<Nend> We have relatively limited interactions with the local Osnabi populations of Ruur. To the south of the island is the town of Naguur, which is largely inhabited by pirates and troublemakers. But it is the north and east side of the island, closest to the north shore of the bay, that is of greatest strategic interest anyway.
<Nend> The village there is known as Pashas. What we know of it is that it is a mixed community of Osnabi humans and hith, very isolated, with an economy focused on fishing and whaling. Various sailors dock there from time to time - there's trade, regularly enough. But as for the island itself, well, it's largely never had a formal survey.
<Nend> Our job is to survey the area along the island's shoreline, heading south and east along the rocky coast from Pashas, to identify a location suitable for a tower that could be used to communicate rapidly with the colony across the bay, either by signal fires or with spells. It must be unobstructed in every direction, on solid and not sandy ground, and have good sources of stone for construction.
<Llillilli> do the people living there have any say in this
<Nend> It's for their own protection as well. We will do our best to not interfere with their customary land holdings, if possible.
<Utus> The General is concerned with the security of all the residents of the colony, local and newcomer alike.
* Llillilli frowns more deeply.
<Llillilli> They live there to be away from you
<Utus> My understanding is that they have lived there for centuries, long before the Fort existed.
<Utus> Regardless, that is your task.
<Nend> I doubt that the area immediately in the vicinity of the village will be what we're looking for. More likely, if we find a suitable spot, it will be further along the coast to the south east.
<Junan> Its not like theyre setting up a village, its a signal tower which will house a few very bored sentinals
<Jimba> And it might bring trade the people there will welcome. Can't hurt to check.
* Llillilli makes a dissatisfied grunt and crosses her arms, but says nothing further.
<Utus> The fact that you have a boat capable of the trip, and that you have members of your team who speak both Aummesh and the hith tongue, makes you the best people for this task.
* Utus remarks with a tone of 'just imagine how much worse it would be if I sent someone else'
* Llillilli narrows her eyes, her jaw tightening.
* Jimba nods.
* Daifan stays out of this for now :x
<Utus> We understand, of course, that part of your trip is to convey the positive intentions of the Fort and to ensure that the local population is treated with respect.
<Junan> I would think that goes without saying
<Jimba> We'll do everything within our power to conduct this trip without incident.
<Utus> I have great confidence in you. Take the time you need.
<Utus> If you have any further questions, Nend will be able to handle them.
* Nend nods briskly.
* Daifan looks super dubious
* Llillilli eyes her suspiciously.
<Junan> several day's journey, eh. The Fort supplying us for this?
* Junan takes a good look at the map
<Utus> Yes, of course. Any provisions or supplies you need will be made available to you.
* Daifan tentativekyt raises their hand
* Utus looks over at you.
<Utus> Yes?
<Daifan> My apologies but... if you wanted to send someone who speaks Hith and Aummesh, why not also send uh..Selisaeth?
* Daifan stumbles a b\t of her name
<Daifan> I thought the others also had access to a boat...
* Utus scowls a bit.
* Daifan looks innocently curious
<Utus> I have selected you as my team.
* Daifan is a simple corpseborn, how can UI be expected to understand these things O:3
<Daifan> Of course, sir.
<Utus> Very well, you are dismissed. Good luck.
* Jimba nods and heads outside.
* Nend will accompany you
<Junan> Eh Jimba, we need to round up a cart for the provisions. You gonna help Nend?
* Daifan will do likewise
<Nend> Certainly, I'm glad to help.
* Nend says with a smile
<Junan> You an ale girl or wine? Its a short journey so either will work.
<Nend> Either will do, I'm not picky :)
* Llillilli continues to semi-glare suspiciously at the sentinel.
* Llillilli sidles up to Daifan.
<Llillilli> [w] they are full of shit
<Daifan> [q] mmhmm
<Llillilli> [w] so full i hear it sloshing when they walk
* Jimba chuckles.
<Junan> Ale goes better with sea songs.
<Nend> Sounds good.
<Jimba> Well, we should get to it. Llillilli, y'all want to go get the ship ready to sail and we'll go grab provisions?
<Junan> any preferences for supplies, you two?
* Junan asks of Llillilli and Daifan
<Jimba> I figure between me and Junan, we can wheedle some good stuff out of them.
* Daifan shakes their head
* Junan will make sure we get a couple good barrels of ale and take advantage of the opportunity to stock up on some arrows for his bow
<AshnabisNarrator> (OK, anything else you need to do to prepare? otherwise we'll get you on the way)
<Llillilli> (I'm going to tell Thelef)
<Llillilli> (I don't need to rp it now... can do it at another time, or not if you don't think it's necessary)
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, that's fine. Thelef tells you to be safe and if you get a chance to talk to Sileshu Heptachei, who is the lineage head of his family and also an older hithkindred, you should do that.

They arrive on the island of Ruur in the village of Pashas in time for a local festival


<AshnabisNarrator> You pack everything onto the boat and prepare to embark. The trip is not actually that long, perhaps 6 or 7 miles from Kaskind to Pashas, which will take you a couple hours in good weather.
<AshnabisNarrator> You dock your boat at the small harbour on one side of a rocky point at the small community of Pashas. You've been here before a few times, Jimba, as a trader, but haven't really spent any real time here - honestly there's never been much to do.
<AshnabisNarrator> Llillilli, your friend Whellae lives here, so you've been in the area before, although her home is on the outskirts of the village and you have mostly steered clear from the main section of the community.
<AshnabisNarrator> There's one tavern, the Floating Otter, something that passes for a shipyard, a smithy, and perhaps a couple dozen houses. At the tip of the point are small huts for salting fish, and there's a small market square in the center of town. And not much else, or so you thought.
<AshnabisNarrator> The smell of the place is overpowering - both fish and whaleflesh permeate the environment as you disembark.
<AshnabisNarrator> Upon taking a few steps, you immediately see little signs that this is not an Aummesh town. For one thing, because the island is largely devoid of lumber forests, there isn't as much wood construction as in Timiil or any of the mainland towns, and most of it is stone.
<AshnabisNarrator> Several of the buildings, including the Temple of the Hand and the Voice at the south end of the town, are built with roofs partly constructed of whale ribs, visible as beams across sealskin roofs.
<AshnabisNarrator> Two major lineages, the Heptachei and Chetsu, have lineage houses in town - built largely, again, with stone and whalebone. But you also see, upon looking around, that some of the buildings have ornaments or even windows made with lithus.
<AshnabisNarrator> The architecture is distinctly alien to most of you - in place of low, flat roofs and fluted columns there are graceful curves and angles to the place.
<AshnabisNarrator> Perhaps the most impressive building in size and scope is a great longhouse-style building made almost all out of lithus, at the south end of the village, around which several large square pools of water have been erected.
<AshnabisNarrator> And it is looking around at the people - who are looking back at you with what you imagine are similar stares - that you see more differences.
<AshnabisNarrator> Walking here and there are numerous hith, perhaps one for every two humans, and with great diversity in size and colour. None of you have ever really spent any time with hith young, which are largely aquatic. Yet here you see a hith pass by you carrying a youngling which looks much like an oversized black tadpole, its hindlimbs still not yet developed enough to walk on land.
<AshnabisNarrator> No one seems to pay the hith any mind. The human inhabitants, who perhaps skew towards the old judging from the gathered crowd, seem far more interested in you as intruders on whatever is going on here. And something surely is going on, as this is no ordinary market day.
<AshnabisNarrator> (OK, you guys are now in the town and have docked the boat up at #9 on the map.)
* Nend looks around curiously as we enter the village
* Daifan aqlso, but will stick near Llillilli
<Jimba> Llillilli, Thelef said to talk to the Heptachei lineage head?
* Llillilli nods.
<Llillilli>
<hith> he did
<AshnabisNarrator> A tall woman comes over to you.
<Llillilli> [h] but I don't want to bring her.
* Utus is now known as Emme
* Emme is a tall, white-haired woman. Despite her pale hair, she doesn't seem extremely old, perhaps only in her early 40s. She wears an elegant pale pink auna and dashi, and lingers at the edge of the crowd.
<Junan> no messages today folks, but if you need some delivered I'll make sure I let you know when I'm leaving
<Emme> Good afternoon.
* Junan gives a warm Envoy greeting
<Llillilli> Hello.
<Emme> Are you ... here for the festival?
<Jimba> Festival?
<Emme> I'll take that as a no.
<Daifan> we hadn't heard about it...
<Daifan> ...
<Junan> I'm not one to shy away from a good party, but this is news to us. Can you explain?
<Emme> Yes, of course. Ah, my apologies. I am Emme of the Chetsu.
* Daifan glances at Nend to see if she seems surprised
<Jimba> Jimba of the Ghughife.
* Nend is trying to follow this at all, she probably doesn't speak Aummesh (or at least not well).
<Jimba> Pleasure to meet you.
<Junan> Junan Ghez
<Daifan> (okay)
<Llillilli> I am Llillilli.
<Daifan> Daifan.
<Junan> our bewildered companion is Nend Zelbai
<Emme> Well ... welcome to Pashas.
* Nend nods politely
<Daifan> thank you.
<Jimba> Thank you.
<Emme> The Floating Otter has a few rooms for guests, although those are few enough that you may need to share. You are here from Kaskind, on some sort of business? Trade?
* Emme asks, as if pretty sure that isn't it.
<Jimba> Business, actually, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy a festival if we wander upon one.
* Jimba tries to smile disarmingly.
<Emme> Hmm.
<Daifan> that sdaid... we came on business, and it should not be necessary to intrude.
<Emme> Well, the Nemmotam is a celebration of the return of those who have been fostered away, and the departure of those heading to Sulise. It is our custom.
<Daifan> (said)
<Jimba> Oh, , interesting.
<Emme> My son Liwhis has returned after five years of learning and training at the court.
* Daifan glances at Llillilli, because that sure was some words
<Jimba> Congratulations.
<Llillilli> (have I ever heard of anything like this)
<AshnabisNarrator> Not really, Llillilli, although you do know that sometimes humans do go to the court in Sulise at King Whuthe's behest. You're too new to this area to really know all the details.
* Llillilli takes a chance that she speaks hithaeli...
<Llillilli> [h] fostered away?
<Emme> [h] I apologize, Hithaeli speak not good. Yes we send young to Sulise, they learn there, and send their young here.
<Llillilli> [h] What a beautiful custom.
<Emme> [h] Yes, very beautiful. I think maybe you knew Liwhis which be why you come here. But you can stay, if no.
<Llillilli> [h] Liwhis?
<Jimba> [h] We don't want to impose.
<Emme> [h] My son. He is like you, huwhi.
* Llillilli nods.
<Llillilli> [h] Do you know of Thelef Aanilaus?
* Emme nods.
<Emme> [h] Yes, of course.
<Llillilli> [a] He told me I should speak with Sileshu Heptachei if I came here... Could you please direct me to their Lineage house?
<Emme> Oh but of course! Sileshu is my father-in-law and grandfather to Liwhis. But today, is perhaps not the best day? Because of the festival. We'll all be there.
* Llillilli nods.
<Llillilli> [h] Perhaps tomorrow then :)
<Emme> All of you are welcome to bear witness to the exchange. It starts soon, at the statue of harmony.
* Jimba looks at everyone else to gauge opinion.
<Llillilli> [a] Thank you, I am most excited to see this :)
<Nend> [q] she's saying there is a celebration of some kind going on?
<Emme> You must excuse me, I must be on my way.
<Llillilli> Of course.
<Llillilli> Enjoy the festival :)
<Daifan> Thank you!
* Jimba smiles.
<Junan> Yeah, local custom... we've been invited to watch if were interested.
<Nend> oh, interesting
<Jimba> Shall we? It'll help to get the lay of the land, as it were.
<Nend> well I suppose we can take a little time to watch.
<Junan> sounds like the respectful thing to do
<Nend> We aren't in a rush.
<Llillilli> Mm.
* Jimba will head that direction.
<Llillilli> Junan, [h] do you speak the language of the people?
* Junan pauses, trying to put together a word
<Junan> [h] Simple... no... try?
<Llillilli> Ah... never mind then
<Junan> I can follow... not as practiced as I would like considering the local
* Llillilli nods.
<Llillilli> [a] Well, to the Festival then.
<Nend> at least there are probably drinks there? :)
<Junan> If not, I may have brought my own
<Nend> planning ahead, I like that.
<AshnabisNarrator> All right, everyone seems to be headed over to the market square in the center of town.
* Llillilli dislikes how chummy Junan is getting with the Sentinel :|

They witness the ceremony of the Nemmotam


<AshnabisNarrator> What must be most of the community has gathered at the north end of the market square (#6 on the map). There sits a most peculiar statue - a crested hith, carved in stone, and a human man fashioned in lithus, facing one another, as a sort of symbol of the harmony of the two peoples.
<AshnabisNarrator> Human and hith similarly stand amongst one another in the crowd. You even see a couple holding hands.
* Daifan trails around with everyoe else, tryinfg to notice if a: there are obvious corpseborn here and b: whether peopole seem to care that they are the way most aumesh and ombesh do
<AshnabisNarrator> At the front of the statue, what you imagine must be a hith priest stands next to a human woman wearing the garb of the Hand of the Dead.
* Llillilli keeps an eye out for Whellae
* Nend is now known as Huthishu
* Llillilli is all heart eyes for this place
<AshnabisNarrator> Daifan, you don't see any obvious corpseborn. You do get a lot of strange looks but there could be any number of reasons for that.
<Daifan> (yeah, fair >.>)
* Shima is very short and plump, around 40, with a few strands of grey in her straight black hair. She wears the white robe of a Hand, and has a turquoise cape over her shoulders.
* Huthishu is a rotund hith, with a large crest that rises from the back of their head. They are a striking royal blue shade, and wear the copper disc of a solar.
<AshnabisNarrator> Lllillilli, you do see Whellae over in the crowd but you're not sure whether she saw you yet.
* Llillilli waves at her
<AshnabisNarrator> (after all, you expect to see her but she doesn't have any reason to expect you)
<Llillilli> (I won't be offended if she doesn't see me :v)
* Whellae is a dark-skinned woman in her mid-twenties, with short-cropped black hair, wearing a simple beige dashi.
* Whellae spots you and waves back shyly, a bit confused to be seeing you at all.
* Whellae is now known as AshnabisNarrator
<AshnabisNarrator> Four young people, two human and two hith, face the two priests. Each of them is wearing an amulet fashioned, similarly to the statue, of metal and lithus, and they are wearing long white capes.
<AshnabisNarrator> A trio of hith singers come together in a breathy song-poem, and most of the audience seems to at least understand what they are singing about.
<AshnabisNarrator> (for those of you who understand Hithaeli, it's a song about the meeting of old friends)
<AshnabisNarrator> The cloud cover of this morning has cleared and the sun shines down on the crowd.
<AshnabisNarrator> The two priests begin the ceremony, each speaking their own language.
<Shima> Today we are gathered to celebrate the Nemmotam, our community's oldest and most important celebration of the unity of our two peoples.
* Shima begins, in Aummesh.
* Huthishu repeats the same words, in Hithaeli
<Shima> Just as Soesoe and Pappe many generations ago, we come together in recognition that iron and lithus together are more beautiful than either alone.
* Huthishu repeats the same words, in Hithaeli
<Shima> But too, we come together to remember that this fusion is only achieved through labour and effort, always fragile and in need of renewal. It is not an easy bond - but things of value are rarely easy.
<Shima> It is through constant vigilance and defense of our traditions that we continually forge this union.
<Llillilli> ♥_♥
<Shima> It is a day of sadness, as we say farewell to one of our own, and joy as we welcome one back. Sadness, as our guest from Sulise departs home, and joy as a newcomer joins us. Joy and sadness, hith and human, iron and lithus, come together as one, on the Nemmotam.
<Shima> Liwhis of the Heptachei, stand forward.
* Liwhis is a tall, handsome, strapping young man of about 20, with short black hair that falls in a wave over his forehead. He is dressed in a red linen tunic with black and white embroidery, and has an amulet at his neck.
<Shima> We welcome you back, grown to a man among both our peoples in your time away. May your time in the deep never leave you as you grow in wisdom.
* Liwhis beams proudly
<Shima> Silloeth, stand forward.
* Liwhis is now known as Silloeth
* Silloeth is a young, strongly built hith, with green skin bearing a pattern of darker green spots across their shoulders and arms. They carry a pair of pfethes strapped to their back, and likewise wear the same amulet.
<Shima> We bid you farewell, as you return to the deep. May your step always bear the sign of your time in our community.
* Silloeth makes a slight bow of respect to the priestess.
<Shima> Tseiru of the Meglaar, stand forward.
* Tseiru is a girl of about 13 years old, slender, with straight black hair tied neatly in a braid. She wears a blue dress of fine milkweed cloth, a bit too large for her, and has the same amulet around her neck. She looks nervous.
<Shima> We bid you farewell, as you go as our ambassador to Sulise, to learn and to share. May the sea's cool waters harden your spirit against dangers and fears.
* Tseiru nods, serious and perhaps a bit anxious.
<Shima> Thisileth, stand forward.
* Thisileth is a very young hith, quite skinny, with mottled brown skin and large black eyes. The same amulet is about their neck.
<Shima> We welcome you to this community of Pashas, formed in the bond of two peoples. May you learn to love your new kin as your own.
* Thisileth looks up with big eyes and nods.
<Shima> Now let me enjoin you all to congregate, to celebrate, and honour that which our ancestors have taught us.
<AshnabisNarrator> A rousing cheer comes from the gathered crowd, who roar in approval.
* Llillilli cheers along.
* Jimba will cheer a little, too.

Whellae speaks with Llillilli


<AshnabisNarrator> As if seemingly in an instant, various purveyors of food and drink appear with trays full of food and drink in celebration of this great day.
<Llillilli> [h] this is the most wonderful festival I have ever seen
<Jimba> Oh, hey, nice.
<Daifan> hmm?
<Jimba> [h] It's certainly something.
<Jimba> Seems like a nice town.
* Thisileth is now known as Nend
<Llillilli> ♥_♥
<Nend> so... what is the occasion they're celebrating here?
* Daifan looks between the twins and then shrugs
<Llillilli> It's beautiful
<Jimba> Oh, it's a cultural exchange.
<Jimba> Fostering.
<Jimba> One of the humans goes to live with the hith, and one of the hith come to live here.
<Jimba> Sounds like they've been doing it for a long time.
<Nend> oh... that's interesting. The humans go live underwater? :o
<Jimba> I thought that was a more advanced skill, but I guess so.
* Jimba shrugs.
<Llillilli> It might have something to do with those amulets
<Junan> or they have a place for the humans to live thats not always underwater?
<Nend> I didn't know the hith and humans were so close here. I always heard they sort of kept to themselves.
<Jimba> Well, if you make the effort to understand and respect them, they can be quite hospitable.
<Llillilli> This is a special place.
* Nend nods
* Nend takes a few snacks and a cup of ale, since they're being offered.
* Junan will gladly as well
* Daifan also
<Llillilli> [h] I wish now I had taken more time to explore Pashas sooner
<Junan> I suggest that we show the proper respect for thier festival and make sure we participate appropriately
* Whellae comes over to your group.
* Whellae smiles a little.
<Llillilli> Whellae! Hello!
<Llillilli> Everyone, this is my friend.
* Daifan smiles at her
<Whellae> Hello, sister Lllillilli. I didn't expect to see you here today.
* Jimba smiles in greeting.
<Junan> Hello
<Llillilli> Whellae: my brother Jimba, my friend Daifan, and Junaan who I work with.
<Llillilli> And... Nend. Who I just met.
* Junan waves a greeting
<Jimba> Nice to meet you.
<Daifan> Hello.
<Whellae> Very nice to meet you all.
<Llillilli> We had to come for work; I did not know this was happening.
<Llillilli> But such a privilege to witness it.
<Nend> Hello.
<Whellae> Yes, it is a special day. This is unique to Pashas. I don't think even the Aummesh do this anywhere else. Certainly not in Timiil or Kaskind.
<Llillilli> No, definitely not...
<Llillilli> It's amazing.
* Llillilli is more excited and animated than most of you have ever seen her.
<Whellae> So what is the work that brings you here?
<Llillilli> Oh. that.
* Llillilli deflates somewhat.
<Llillilli> [h] They want to build some fort or something near here. I don't like it.
<Llillilli> [h] they want us to look at spots.
<Llillilli> [h] a watchtower, they said. to defend against threates from the sea.
<Whellae> [h] Ah, I see. And this one, Daifan, this is the friend you talked to me about, yes?
<Llillilli> [h] yes, that's right.
* Whellae nods.
<Whellae> [h] Well, we will have to talk while you're here!
* Daifan can probably still catch their name, and looks uncertain for a moment
<Llillilli> [h] Yes I think that would be great!
<Whellae> I hope you all enjoy the festival. It's my first time seeing it too.
<Llillilli> How often is it held?
<Whellae> Only every few years, when people return or leave.
* Llillilli nods.
<Llillilli> Do you know how long it has been happening?
<Whellae> Many, many years. Decades, at least. Maybe longer. Soesoe and Pappe, who are the people in the statues, were the first.
<Whellae> You'd really need to ask someone who was born here.
<Llillilli> Amazing :3
* Daifan looks at them
<Daifan> (the statues I mean)
<Llillilli> Well, I have to go talk to one of the lineage heads tomorrow...
* Daifan will wander over for a closer look, with a drink in hand

Soba greets the group


<AshnabisNarrator> As you are chatting, an older woman approaches your group.
* Soba is an older woman, rather darker in complexion than most of these people, short and quite thin, with wavy grey hair. She wears a deep red dress, bound at the waist with the unmistakable sash of a sentinel, and through which she carries a sword.
* Jimba nods acknowledgement of her.
<Soba> I do not mean to interrupt. I am Soba Rugul. Welcome, strangers.
* Daifan sees her approach and will drifrt back to the others
<Junan> Hello. Thank you for the welcome.
<Jimba> Nice to meet you.
* Junan will make quick introductions
<Nend> Oh! Greetings, Ensign Rugul. I didn't expect to find another Sentinel here.
<Soba>
<omb> Our community is honoured to have guests from Kaskind. Even unexpected ones. We did not hear dignitaries were being sent for the Nemmotam.
* Soba speaks Ombesh formally, with a Choradani accent.
<Nend> We were sent for another purpose - this was a pleasant coincidence.
<Jimba> And we're hardly dignitaries. :)
<Jimba> (That would have been in Ombesh)
<Soba> Another purpose?
<Daifan> Mmmhmm..
<Daifan> Perhaps you would lie to explain?
* Daifan suggests to Nend
<Daifan> (like, but lol)
<Nend> We are seeking a location to built a lookout tower, to better guard over the inner bay. Something on a higher point, and with a good view of the strait, would be ideal.
<Nend> Do you know of any such areas?
<Soba> Ah, I see.
<Llillilli> (sm to see what soba thinks of that?)
<Soba> (sure, roll)
<Llillilli> (not that I'm very good at it but)
<Llillilli> !roll 1d20+4
* Lan-werk rolls for Llillilli: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 17 ].
<Soba> (not super impressed)
<Daifan> (does Nend seem surprised though? ;p)
<Daifan> (or oblivious ;p)
<Soba> Well my husband Sileshu might know more. But he is very busy, during the Nemmotam. Our grandson has just returned to the community.
<Llillilli> So I hear!
<Llillilli> :3
* Nend seems surprised to see another sentinel here, and oblivious to her signs of not being very helpful in this matter
<Soba> Are you planning on being here for some time?
<Nend> Well, we will need to scout the area along the coast. Perhaps a few days?
<Junan> depending on how the surveying goes
* Nend nods in agreement
<Daifan> Long enough to have something to report back to the fort, in any case.
<Nend> If we find a suitable place quickly, then it might be sooner.
<Soba> I see. Well, I do hope the General finds what she is looking for.
<Llillilli> Mm.
<Llillilli> ¬_¬
* Llillilli doesn't bother concealing her lack of enthusiasm

Ulutse confronts them but is led away by her father


<Jimba> Have you had any trouble around here?
<AshnabisNarrator> A young woman and a man who you imagine is her father wander by your group.
* Jimba nods a greeting.
<Soba> No trouble, no.
<Ulutse> [a] What are you doing here, outsiders? This isn't your business to come into our sacred rites!
* Ulutse is perhaps 14, thin and with wavy black hair that is somewhat unkempt and messy. Her yellow dress bears the stains of spilled drinks and sweat, and she walks unsteadily, perhaps being somewhat steered by her father.
* Hiramam is a man in his mid-thirties, slender but quite strongly muscled, with wavy black hair. He has a proud smile beneath his voluminous mustache.
<Hiramam> Ulutse!
<Jimba> [h] We apologize for any offense.
<Hiramam> Come, now, leave these people alone. Let's go find Tseiru.
<Jimba> [h] I assure you, none was intended.
<Ulutse> [a] this isn't supposed to be how it happens...
* Ulutse sounds upset
<Hiramam> We apologize, kind sir.
<Hiramam> You have given us no offense.
<Jimba> [a] Not at all. What are you expecting to happen?
<Ulutse> [a] she doesn't even want to go!
* Ulutse says, tearing up
<Daifan> :/
<Jimba> (to Ulutse) Are you referring to the young lady who is going to court?
<Ulutse> [a] to my sister Tseiru - it wasn't supposed to be her, but they needed someone...
* Ulutse sounds like she's fairly drunk, slurring her words a bit
<Daifan> who was is supposeed to be?
* Daifan asks gently in Aummesh
<Hiramam> Come along, Ulutse.
* Hiramam pulls his daughter along.
<Daifan> :/
<Hiramam> Thank you for coming on our special day.
<Ulutse> it's none of your business, corpseborn filth! this is our private ceremony!
* Ulutse says miserably, getting led off by her father
<Jimba> Hey!
* Daifan just sighs
<Daifan> It's okay, Jimba
* Jimba frowns but lets them go.
* Ulutse is now known as Nend
<Nend> uh... what just happened? :o
* Junan looks to the group around
<Daifan> She doens't want us here.
<Daifan> I'm sure she isn't the only one
<Junan> She's drunk right? Just upset her sister is leaving?
<Nend> should we head out before things get awkward? leave them to their celebrations?
<Jimba> (To Llillilli) [h] Should we ask someone about that whole "she doesn't even want to go" thing?
<Llillilli> [h] not today
* Jimba frowns, but nods.
<Jimba> [h] If you say so.
<Daifan> perhaps that would be best.... we can at least go to the Inn and see what arrangements we can make there >.>
<Jimba> I'm happy to sleep on the ship, but it'd be crowded with all of us. The inn sounds like a good plan.
<Junan> I agree. Time to be moving on.
* Daifan will finish their drink and head back that way, then

Some of the group take rooms at the Floating Otter


<AshnabisGM> You can head over to the inn, then. Some of the celebration has moved in there as well, as the staff are among the people providing food and drink for the festivities.
<AshnabisNarrator> OK, you folks head over to the Floating Otter, the only inn/tavern in the village.
<Junan> (so how many rooms can we get?)
<AshnabisGM> They have four rooms total, and all are currently available. You could book all of them, or some of them, as you prefer.
<Llillilli> (I'm happy to stay on the boat)
* Jimba is boating, obvs. :)
* Daifan can too if that's easier/causes less drama >.>
* Tiluntom is a balding gray-haired man, perhaps in his fifties or sixties, who walks with a noticeable limp and whose left arm hangs loosely at one side.
<Tiluntom> Hello, and welcome to the Floating Otter! How can I help you strangers?
<Junan> Need some rooms if you have them.
* Junan looks over the group.
<Tiluntom> All ... right then. Come here for the festival?
<Junan> At least two, if not three
<Junan> Alas no, just stumbled into it, to be honest.
<Junan> We can keep to ourselves if we need to.
<Tiluntom> Interesting. Welcome! Tiluntom Chetsu, at your service. Been running this place for twenty years now.
<Junan> Pleasure to meet you.
* Junan will make introductions
* Daifan smiles when they arer introduced
<Tiluntom> I can spare you some rooms, but I'm afraid the price has to be a horn a night for each.
* Daifan will let those who are taking them answer that
<Nend> [q] if it's about the price, we can cover that
<Daifan> (Just Junan and Nend at this point, right?)
* Nend says quietly
<Junan> A horn a night, per room! Thats outrageous
<Junan> I understand its a festival, but you yourself said the rooms were all available.
* Llillilli keeps her distance since she is not in need of a room
<Tiluntom> Sir, you've come during a festival that happens once only every five years. I have no idea who might need these rooms tonight.
<Tiluntom> That price is firm.
<Tiluntom> You're welcome to try any of the other establishments in town.
* Llillilli snickers behind her hand at that
<Junan> In that you have the market cornered!
<Tiluntom> I am pleased to be the proprietor of the very best establishment in Pashas.
* Daifan smirks at that
<Junan> My counter proposal... three rooms for two horns and I can help entertain your patrons this evening... this lute I carry is not just for its stylish appearance.
<Junan> What say you to that?
<Tiluntom> (oh sure, make a diplomacy roll)
<Junan> !roll 1d20+10
* Lan-werk rolls for Junan: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 22 ].
<Tiluntom> Very well, sir. I relent.
<Junan> and you'll wont regret it

Solos

Llillilli and Daifan go talk to Whellae


* Daifan will go with Llillilli to meet this friend of hers
<AshnabisNarrator> You can find Whellae out at her hut sometime after the festival, then.
* AshnabisNarrator is now known as Whellae
* Llillilli knocks on the door.
* Whellae opens it.
<Whellae> [h] Sister Llillilli. I had hoped you would come by!
<Llillilli> [h] Hello! I... brought my friend, I hope that's alright... After we talked I wasn't sure whether you meant me to do that or not, but
* Daifan is curious but also a little wary, because reactions have been mixed to them here :x
<Whellae> Oh, yes, of course, that's fine. Hello, you are Daifan?
<Daifan> Hello, yes... nice to meet you, Whellae :)
<Whellae> Come in. :) I'll put on some tea.
* Llillilli steps inside.
<Whellae> The Nemmotam was remarkable, wasn't it?
<Llillilli> Amazing...
<Daifan> thank you
<Whellae> As I understand it, the festivities will go on for a week or so.
* Daifan will aslo come inside
<Daifan> when do they actually leave?
<Whellae> After that, I suppose.
<Whellae> I don't really know - you know, I'm not from here originally. This is the first time I've seen it.
<Daifan> (Does she have a recognizable accent?)
* Daifan nods
<Whellae> (Daligash, you think)
<Daifan> where are you from?
<Whellae> A little town in western Daligash, originally.
<Llillilli> >.>
<Llillilli>
<.
<
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I'm from Kindalto :)
<Whellae> Ah, I hear it's nice there, on the water.
<Daifan> Mmhmm, it can be, anyway!
<Daifan> we got some crazy weather sometimes
<Whellae> How long have you been living in Kaskind?
<Daifan> oh, hmmm... 8 months? I think?
* Whellae nods.
<Daifan> how long ago did you come out here?
<Whellae> A little more than two years. This is my third summer here.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> Is that since you came to Kaskind, or to Pashas?
<Whellae> To Kaskind ... but I didn't spend long there.
* Daifan nods
<Whellae> I do like it better out here.
<Llillilli> I was wishing I had spent more time out here, after today.
<Whellae> It's very different.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> peopel have been welcoming.... more than I expected
<Whellae> That's good.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> (is she being awkward or are we just moving sloely? >.>)
<Whellae> (mostly awkward)
<Daifan> (Like what kind of awkward? Like generally socailly awkward or is she uncomfortable with me being here?)
<Whellae> (mostly the former you think? you don't know her though)
<Llillilli> (what do I think? >.>)
<Daifan> (I mean I coula actually roll SM too if that would give me more insight ;p)
<Whellae> (well, Whellae mostly lives by herself and doesn't get to know a lot of new people)
<Llillilli> There were a couple people who were a bit weird about it.
<Whellae> Oh?
<Llillilli> That girl's sister... she was not happy already, and didn't like Daifan talking to her
* Llillilli frowns
* Daifan shrugs
<Whellae> Oh ... Ulutse, was she drunk?
<Llillilli> Definitely.
<Whellae> Oh, that's sad.
<Whellae> It wasn't about you, Daifan.
<Llillilli> She said something about how her sister didn't want to go...
<Daifan> I didn't think it was. her father was very apologetic
* Whellae nods.
<Whellae> Hiramam is a good man. He's the smith who made those amulets, actually. He trained with the People, years ago.
* Daifan nods
<Whellae> Some of his work is housed at the court in Sulise, I've heard.
<Daifan> Do you know what the story is then? Is it true her sister didn't want to go?
<Whellae> Ahh ... maybe? It's very complicated.
<Daifan> I heard someone else was supposed to go?
<Daifan> was it Ulutse?
<Whellae> Ulutse was supposed to be the one to go. I think that getting to foster a child at Sulise was ... maybe Hiramam's reward for his service and accomplishments?
<Llillilli> Ooooh.
<Whellae> But then she died, it was shortly after I arrived in Pashas, and when she was reborn, she was ... too different. She turned to drink.
<Daifan> oooh, I see
<Llillilli> Oh. That *is
* sad.
<Daifan> That is very sad :/
<Whellae> And so that was how Tseiru got picked.
<Daifan> I can see how that would be rough
<Daifan> Hopefully she'll hafve a chance to talk to the ones who are coming back a bit, about what it will be like
<Daifan> maybe that will help, if she's nervous
<Llillilli> Five years in Sulise... that would have been a dream for me.
<Daifan> but five years away form here?
* Daifan teases her
<Daifan> I think we will have a hard time dragging you away if we are here more than five days :3
<Llillilli> Maybe :p
<Whellae> It's really complicated. I try to stay out of those kinds of things.
* Daifan nodsa
<Whellae> I'm not really ... an insider here. Pashas is such a small place, you basically have to be born here or else you're always considered a bit of a stranger.
* Llillilli nods.
<Llillilli> Yes, I get that sense...
* Daifan nods
<Whellae> Even Soba, Sileshu's wife, she has a hard time sometimes and she's lived here forty years. But she still wears her sash, you know.
<Daifan> I suppose we came at a time when people are feeling more joyous, so that's helped. I'd heard this place had a repuytation for being insular, so I was surprised.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> We met her earlier
<Whellae> It is insular ... but people in a little community like this know how to be very polite. Polite doesn't mean friendly. I'm sure they're trying to figure out why you're really here.
<Llillilli> So are we.
* Llillilli says bitterly
* Daifan sighs
<Daifan> I don't usually get 'polite' either, so its still strange.
<Daifan> btu yes
<Llillilli> They sent us here with that sentinel to scout out a spot for a watchtower. "to defend against threats from the sea" they said.
<Daifan> the timing is quite a coincidence
<Llillilli> It gives me a bad taste in my mouth.
<Whellae> Hmmm ... well, not too many people from the mainland know about the Nemmotam. It really is just a local custom.
<Llillilli> This isn't the first time they've sent us somewhere and we've found something they aren't 'supposed' to know about
<Llillilli> They are full of lies.
<Daifan> mmhmm.
<Daifan> its true
<Daifan> They coudl have sent the other team, except they're all Aummesh. I thikn that's it.
<Llillilli> I am just grateful Veznara isn't here
<Daifan> mmhmm.
<Whellae> Who is Veznara?
<Llillilli> A Hand.
<Daifan> She's surely see all this as some kindf of heresy :p
<Llillilli> She is... Yes.
* Daifan nods
<Llillilli> And she's obnoxious about it.
<Daifan> she is very concerned with propriety
<Daifan> in some ways
<Daifan> She doesn't mind me too much, at least
<Whellae> Well, Shima is a Hand. I mean, it's different because her mother is from away and her father is the lineage elder and a huwhi, but it doesn't seem to bother her at all, the little differences.
<Whellae> You know most of the humans here in Pashas, they worship the Corps, not the solar faith.
* Llillilli nods.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> I haven't seen any other corpseborn, though
<Llillilli> >.>
<Llillilli>
<.
<
<Whellae> There aren't any here.
<Daifan> hmm?
* Daifan glaces at Llilliulli's shifty face, but nods to Whellae
<Daifan> do they not follow the custom, or just send them... away? >.>
<Whellae> I mean, there aren't any on the island. It's too small. There are only, what, forty children in the whole town? So I think when there are Corpseborn babies born they're sent to Banei.
* Daifan nods
<Whellae> I don't really know. There aren't really as many human children born here as there used to be, or that's what people say.
<Daifan> I did see a lot of older people
<Whellae> A lot of the younger families have moved to the mainland, because of the fos.
<Llillilli> Ah.
<Daifan> the price of being insular, maybe
<Daifan> or that
<Whellae> It's something people talk about a lot, around here . Whether the traditions here can be maintained.
<Daifan> well, if any kind of watchtower goes up, I'm sure it will be all the harder.... if that's really what they want
<Daifan> last time they sent us scouting, it was just a ruse for something else
<Whellae> Ah, that's too bad.
<Whellae> I don't really know if anyone cares about the tower. But if a lot of Ombesh people start coming here, that would be a problem.
* Daifan nods
<Daifan> it would mean sentinels around more at least. But maybe Soba couold help manage them
<Whellae> Hmm, maybe.
<Daifan> well we'll see I guess. We'll probably start scouting tomorrow.
<Llillilli> I guess.
<Llillilli> ¬_¬
<Whellae> Well, good luck!
<Daifan> thanks, I guess?
<Daifan> And thank you for the tea, it was nice to meet you.
<Daifan> Would you like so time to just catch up with Llillilli, though?
<Whellae> I wouldn't want you to be excluded.
* Daifan smiles
<Daifan> and I woudln't want to get in the way of friends who don't see each other often.
<Daifan> I can find my own way back to the inn, it's not a big place.
<Whellae> We'll catch up soon, Llillilli. Come back after you've been out scouting.
<Llillilli> I will! :)

Junan and Nend share a drink at the Floating Otter and then go to test the beds


* Nend will hang out with Junan at the Floating Otter, while the others are occupied.
* Junan will get them a couple of ales while he tunes up
<Nend> This is really.. not what I expected.
<Junan> oh don't worry, the long hot treks through rough coastline are yet to come
<Junan> I'm sure they wont disappoint
* Nend smiles at that
<Nend> I meant the village, I guess, but that too.
<Nend> I suppose you must travel to a lot of places with the land office, but I've really only been in Kaskind since I came here. I haven't seen a lot of the rest of the colony.
<Junan> I've been here and there, part of the trade of an Envoy and the office helps that too.
* Nend nods
<Junan> Its just luck we arrived in the middle of a once every few year festival
<Nend> Yes, that's interesting. They have such a different way of doing things here.
<Junan> where did you hail from, before Kaskind?
<Nend> Kindi Nasku, in Choradan.
<Junan> and they never warned you about chatting with Daligashi boys?
<Nend> Well, my father did, but he's not here :)
* Junan picks a few notes to accentuate
<Nend> I've only been stationed here a few months, but it's been quite eye-opening so far.
<Junan> Songs and stories about travel never live up to the real thing, thats for sure.
<Nend> What about you, where is your family from?
<Junan> although if you plan to stay long you should work on your Aummesh
<Nend> oh... yes. I probably should try to learn more of it.
<Junan> I can help with that if you want... I'm skilled with several languages
<Junan> Me, my family is from Zhuru
<Junan> Its been a few years since I've been back
* Nend nods
<Nend> Do you miss it much?
<Junan> depends on the day... when I cant find a good wine I do miss it
* Nend laughs at that
<Junan> but there is more than enough here
<Junan> that I don't regret coming out this way
<Nend> well, that's good.
<Junan> so is this the adventure you were hoping for?
* Nend considers that
<Nend> Surveying land is part of my job, of course... I expected to do that. I didn't expect how complicated it would be. I'm used to Choradan - Sentinels say things, it happens.
<Nend> Here it seems like everyone is more careful - trying to avoid causing trouble, I guess. They act less directly - more politics.
<Junan> It is a quagmire of local legacies and traditions mixed with old world rivalries, all played out in the mix of heat and rain.
<Nend> That's a good way of putting it.
<Nend> I feel like I'm in over my head sometimes. I'm just trying to do my job.
* Junan nods
<Junan> I try not to dwell on it too much, else you sink into the swamp
* Nend gives a slight chuckle at that
<Nend> Well, this island seems very rocky. Not swampy at all. Nice and solid.
<Junan> A rock of tradition that may be what sinks it in the end
<Nend> If they do decide to built a watchtower out here, I suppose I might wind up stationed at it.
<Junan> I'm just happy I got to hear more Hith spoken, and if I'm lucky may hear or learn a few songs
<Junan> sounds lonely
* Junan picks a slow tune
<Nend> maybe.. depends who else is stationed here ;)
<Junan> or what fun memories you may have
<Nend> true
<Nend> it seems like we're not going anywhere today, at this rate... but I suppose they did say to take all the time we need to properly investigate.
* Nend takes a swig of her drink
<Junan> since we are likely here for the day, do you have any priorities in mind?
<Nend> hmm
<Nend> I feel like maybe we should check out the rooms upstairs. You know. To make sure they're suitable.
<Junan> I reasonable suggestion... who knows what the consistency between the rooms are in a place like this
* Nend nods
<Nend> Better test the bed, to make sure it's sturdy.
* Junan will stand, finish his ale
* Nend finishes hers up as well.
<Junan> We do need to make sure we get a good rest. It will be a busy day tomorrow.
<Nend> Rest later, follow me now :)
* Junan chuckles
* Junan will do so