Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session 38

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session logs
Previous Session Next

Summary

The Hrieffen find some orcs on their lands that are fleeing conflict with Iter-Was. Korivan agrees to take a delegation to the city to plead with May for asylum, and keeps the rest under watch. The Ola Sornë arrive on the scene, and Laris and Induriel meet with Laito Voronwië regarding the company's plans, and later dine with the elven mercenary.

Session

Session date: 2019-06-23
In Game date: ????

Korian meets with the Ukalach


* Kariman was among the warriors assigned with home defense after the initial battles against the Osoro-allied forces.
* Kariman will come find Korivan wherever he is at his current camp.
* Korivan is just out for a walk along the beach\
<Kariman> Korivan!
<Kariman> Gaath.
* Kariman smiles and shakes her head.
<Kariman> Still takes some getting used to.
<Korivan> (JOsh what shoudl I call her? By name? Mom or some variation thereof?)
* Korivan turns when she calls out
<Korivan> Hraath...
<Korivan> It does.
<YOAW_Narrator> But it's in that capacity you're needed.
* Korivan nods
<YOAW_Narrator> There are...intruders, I suppose. They don't look hostile, but I don't know them.
* Korivan scowls at that
<Korivan> Who?
<YOAW_Narrator> We saw them while hunting earlier, and I came to get you, to treat with them.
* Korivan asks, already turning top go back to the main camp with her
<YOAW_Narrator> Orcs. A few hundred, mostly non-fighting types, it looks like: elders, children, artisans.
<YOAW_Narrator> They're camped on the beach south of here.
<YOAW_Narrator> How they got through Ankai territory unremarked, or if they did, I don't know.
<Korivan> Hmm...
<Korivan> I will...treat with them, yes.
<Korivan> Gather some others to..acccompany me
<Kariman> I'll get a guard together, just in case. I set scouts to watching them, so we'll know ahead of time to expect trouble, or know if they move.
* Korivan nods
<Kariman> It's a few hours' ride, if we push.
<Kariman> If you're up for that.
* Kariman smiles.
* Kariman is well aware of Korivan's middling horsemanship.
<Korivan> -_-
<Korivan> That will be fine
* Kariman nods and will go to gather some of the warriors.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Taking anyone else in particular with you?)
<Korivan> (I'm not 100% sure who all is here with me... Any of Luggan, Valrek, or Erryt if they are."
<Korivan> )
<Korivan> (and maybe an apprentice or two :3)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Erret is probably off with Kraaz, but Valrek and Luggan are here)
<Korivan> (keen then)
<YOAW_Narrator> It is indeed a few hours hard ride for you and your picked escort, south along the coast and just into the hills that mark the southern edge of your territory now.
<YOAW_Narrator> Per Kariman's description, there is a sizeable camp tucked into a protected coastal valley. It's early evening, but you can make out sentries posted on the rises around the camp, as pointed out by your own scouts.
<Korivan> (cool)
* Korivan can approach the camp then
* Kariman is now known as Orc_Soldier
* Orc_Soldier looks to be closer to Halgalaz's or Faasha's age than yours, but hold his spear steadily towards you as you approach. He looks at you warily and expectantly, clearly uncomfortable.
<Korivan> [G] I am Gaath Hrieffen Eryvet Korivan - you are trespassing on Hrieffen territory. Who are you, and who speaks for you here?
* Orc_Soldier frowns.
<Orc_Soldier> [O] (A string of words you take to be a greeting and likely some form of warning.)
* Orc_Soldier will hold up a hand, signalling you to wait.
* Orc_Soldier turns back and signals towards his camp.
* Korivan frowns but will wait
* NPC2 Orc_Matron
* NPC2 is now known as Orc_Matron
<Orc_Matron> (rather)
* Orc_Matron is a giant of a woman, tall and broad, taller even than Korivan. She comes striding up purposefully.
<Orc_Matron> Many greeting.
<Orc_Matron> [G]
<Orc_Matron> (To specify)
* Korivan will vary his original speach slightly
<Korivan> [G] I am Gaath Hrieffen Eryvet Korivan - you are trespassing on Hrieffen territory. Who are you, and do you speak for these people?
* Orc_Matron nods.
<Orc_Matron> [G] Sorries. My goblin is not very big. I am Urath Ukalach, and I speaks for our family. We want no trespass.
* Orc_Matron is now known as Urath
<Korivan> {g} Do you speak Turathi?
* Urath sighs gratefully.
<Urath> [T] Thank the gods.
<Urath> Yes, I do.
* Korivan can carry on iin Turathi then
* Korivan nods
<Urath> Our apologies. We did not mean to intrude. We're trying to make our way north.
<Urath> We heard there's a city that might offer some shelter.
* Korivan nods. Nēšu Abamātu....
* Korivan says
<Korivan> Where have you come from?
* Urath points south.
<Urath> Over the mountains.
<Korivan> YOu came through Ankai lands?
<Urath> The serpentfolk are trying to build an outpost, and sent mercenaries to clear their way.
<Urath> Ankai?
* Korivan frowns a little
<Korivan> The bugbears who hold the lands from the mountains to this border...
* Urath nods.
<Urath> We moved through to here fairly quickly. It's possible they saw us, but we didn't see any of them.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> The people of Nēšu Abamātu...are our allies.
<Urath> Praise be.
<Urath> We're near, then?
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> If you seek...asylum with them... my people will escort A party of yours to...treat with Sirru Lalû.
<Urath> Siru Lalu. That's the ruler of the city?
<Korivan> Yes.
* Urath smiles wearily.
<Urath> Thank you.
<Korivan> (It's like a day from, here, tops?)
<Urath> We have little to trade for your assistance, and forebearance, but I can at least offer you a meal.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yeah, a day, maybe two for a big group, depending.)
<Korivan> (I'm thinking a delegation to start, and leave peopel here to keep an eye on the rest and maybe send a message to the ankai like "wtf guys come on")
* Korivan nods
<YOAW_Narrator> (kk)
<Korivan> We will accept your hospitality
<Urath> By Yunnah, be welcome to our camp.
* Urath smiles more broadly, her tusks prominently showing.
<Korivan> (who is Yunnah? unfamiliar god?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Roll Knowledge or whatever it's called. ;))
<Korivan> (education count?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Hmm. We'll say yes.)
<Korivan> !roll 5d6
* Lan-werk rolls for Korivan: [ 5d6 ] getting [ 6 2 2 2 1 ] for a total of [ 13 ].
<Korivan> (12)
<YOAW_Narrator> (You know Yunnah is a southern hearth goddess. You're not super familiar with her, but you know the halflings there call her Yondalla. :))
<Korivan> (keen)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Do we have a Terry this week?)
<Korivan> (I thought so but maybe not?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (S'all good, just wondering. I know we're missing a Tuck)
* Urath will lead you into camp and treat you to a very delicious meal. She takes great pride in mentioning she cooked much of it herself, and what she didn't, she taught those who did how to make it.
* Korivan will be polite but distracted (as ever)
* Korivan (and my companions) can answer questions abotu the city


Laris receives notice the the Ola Sornë have arrived


<YOAW_Narrator> Is Laris staying at the keep or the villa atm?
<Laris> I imagine there's a lot to do at the keep, so maybe staying at the keep and going back to the villa on occasional breaks?
<YOAW_Narrator> Sounds good.
<YOAW_Narrator> A few days later, before Korivan leads the Ukalach to NA, a runner will arrive with a message from the fort:
<YOAW_Narrator> "Legatus-
<YOAW_Narrator> Members of the Ola Sornë have arrived. We're currently offering them hospitality such as we can. It seemed meet to keep them here until we received further orders.
<YOAW_Narrator> -Centurion Severina"
* Laris sighs
<Laris> It seems I will be returning to Nesu Abamatu a little sooner than expected.
* Laris says to whoever might happen to be around
* Orc_Soldier is now known as Sahhiru
<Sahhiru> (let's say)
* Sahhiru sighs.
<Sahhiru> Mamitu is...otherwise occupied.
<Laris> (oh okay, I thought you were saying I was at the villa. but this is fine.)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Oh, sorry, was assuming the keep ftm)
<Laris> (it's fine)
<Laris> I suppose I should go and see what's happening. Greet them, talk to their leader.
<Sahhiru> If you wouldn't mind terribly.
* Sahhiru smiles sympathetically.
* Laris nods
<Sahhiru> Hopefully you can get some more information about what they're doing here.
<Laris> I'll see what I can do.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> I know you're not likely going to be happy to hear it, but you should take Induriel with you.
<Laris> Yes, you're probably right.
<Sahhiru> Have I told you lately how much I appreciate you?
* Laris smiles slightly.
<Laris> I was not unaware. But thank you.
* Laris will take his hand for a moment, if we're in reasonable privacy, and then will go to see what these clowns are up to.
* Sahhiru smiles and nods.

Laris, Induriel, and their entourages meet with Laito


<Induriel> (I take it we're all heading out, then? Malliel & Valtheriel included?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (If you want them with you, yes)
<Induriel> (I think so. I will need advice. :/ )
<YOAW_Narrator> All right, you can gather up what folks you both would like to accompany you and head out.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Laris, anyone in particular?)
<Laris> (I guess I'll bring Rufus if I can? Varinia is already there so I'll want to confer with her when I can)
<YOAW_Narrator> (kk)
* Urath is now known as Rufus_Metillius
<Laris> (I feel like bringing Dianthea might be iffy at this point, but if she's in town I will let her know what's going on of course)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Out of curiosity, ship or horseback for the trip out there?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Ship being easier and likely faster, but with more potential for danger)
<Laris> (well, if Induriel is going with us, I presume ship since probably he can't ride atm?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (He probably could, just not quickly.)
<Induriel> (I can sit in a saddle, but I expect I can't steer a horse. :P )
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yeah, Malliel or Valtheriel would have to lead his horse)
<Laris> (let's say ship)
<YOAW_Narrator> All right, you can make the trip fairly quickly, a day and a bit, upstream to the fort.
* Sahhiru is now known as Severina
* Severina will meet you at the newly constructed (and still under construction, really) river dock at the fort.
<Laris> Greetings, Centurion. What is the situation currently?
<Severina> Salve, Legatus. A group of ten of the Ola Sornë arrived four days ago, including their captain. They rode ahead of their column by a fair bit, from what I understand, to verify their welcome.
* Severina says the last somewhat sardonically.
* Induriel frowns at her tone
<Laris> Very prudent of them.
<Induriel> Indeed.
<Severina> Sounds like their people are back west in shifter lands for the moment.
<Laris> Thank you for alerting me, and for providing them with a suitable welcome in the meantime.
<Severina> We don't have many amenities to offer, but we gave them a roof and food.
* Severina gives a small smile.
* Laris nods
<Rufus_Metillius> Better than we've had in plenty of places.
<Induriel> I am sure they are duly grateful.
<Laris> Well, let us go and speak with their captain.
<Induriel> Laito Voronwië. One of great honour and repute.
* Severina will lead the way. A pair of soldiers is, not guarding the door where Severina leads you, but they're definitely keeping an eye on it.
<YOAW_Narrator> A pair of soldiers, one eladrin, one elven, are standing next to the doorway on the inside. They nod to Severina as she enters with you. A group of soldiers is sharing a meal at a table in the large, shared room, cots close at hand.
<YOAW_Narrator> An elf sits on one of the cots, idly strumming a complicated stringed instrument.
* Rufus_Metillius is now known as Laito
* Laito will put it away and rise.
<Laris> Greetings, soldiers. I am Lugal Laris Valerius Corvis, on behalf of the city of Nesu Abamatu.
<YOAW_Narrator> The soldiers echo their leader in standing.
<Induriel> I am Induriel of House Antalanon, Her Majesty's Ambassador to Nesu Abamatu.
* Induriel nods in the direction of the sound of people standing
* Laito makes a deep, solemn bow, those smiles widely as they do so.
<Laito> Greetings, Lugal. I am Laito Voronwië, called Uraiwë, Captain of the Ola Sornë. We thank you for your hospitality, and ask the blessings of Summer to follow you and yours throughout your days.
* Laris inclines his head politely - not really a bow, but at least a nod.
<Laito> And greetings to you, Ambassador of her shining majesty, Alcarinel of Brescia. It is a boon to see a friend of the Queen in these lands.
<Induriel> I thank you, Laito Voronwië. It is an honour to meet one of such great repute.
<Laris> What brings you to this region?
<Laito> Vocation and inclination, Lugal. Iter-Was pays shining gold for the tusks of orcs.
<Induriel> (Who is Iter-Was?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Iter-Was is the northernmost of the yuan-ti (called wadjet here) city-states, a good ways to the south).
<Laito> Among others, of course.
<Laito> Quieter neighbors for you, I'm sure.
<Laris> How long do you intend to remain?
<Laito> There's a few months left of the season, so that at least. We'd love to 'winter', as it were, in Nesu Abamatu and pick up again when the weather permits. It's not likely to be quick work.
<Laito> We wouldn't be in the city much at first, of course.
<Laris> How many troops do you bring with you?
<Laito> Five hundred. 300 regular cavalry, 200 mounted archers, though I've a feeling we'll be operating on foot for the most part, from what I hear of the terrain.
<Laris> That is... a considerable number.
* Laito shrugs.
<Laito> It is not a small job.
<Laris> Where specifically do you intend to wage your campaign?
<Laito> South, over the mountains, for the most part. So far as I can tell, we wouldn't be interfering in your sphere of influence.
<Laito> Though, of course, our services would be available to Heri Lalu.
<Laris> Mm.
<Laris> How long until the remainder of your troops rejoins you?
<Laito> A few weeks, at least. I can make my way back and reroute to the south, if necessary.
<Laito> We'd just hoped to take advantage of some civilization when the chance arose.
* Laris nods
<Laris> The management of the city is under Heri Lalu's aegis, so it will ultimately be her decision. In the meantime, you are welcome to food and shelter for you and your entourage.
<Laito> Your people have been most accommodating, thank you.
<Laito> I look forward to an amicable and productive relationship.
* Laris will nod again and head away to confer with Varinia, Rufus, and (I suppose) Induriel.
<Induriel> (Yes, let's excuse ourselves to freshen up & then talk amongst ourselves.)
* Laito gives another respectful bow as you leave.

Induriel and Laris consult about the encounter


* Severina will lead you all back to a central meeting room.
* Laris waits until we are in private again to say "What is actually going on here?"
<Induriel> Exactly what the Captain said, as far as I can tell, Lugal Corvis.
* Laito is now known as Rufus_Metillius
<Rufus_Metillius> (To Laris) What're you thinking?
<Laris> I'm thinking that five hundred mercenaries wanting to traverse our lands and stay in our city over the winter is liable to prove extremely disruptive just on numbers and lack of accountability alone. Laying aside what effect it might have on allies and those who we might hope to make our allies in the future.
<Induriel> Their arrival was not entirely unexpected, Lugal. Unfortunately, there was no way to communicate with them earlier while they were en route.
<Laris> Who do they answer to? Only their captain? or do they have a higher authority?
<Induriel> To their captain and to whoever hired them, I imagine. They are not part of the Aethrennari forces.
<Induriel> I understand that they do have an excellent reputation, as far as mercenaries go.
* Laris looks unconvinced, but I suppose Induriel can't see that ;)
<Laris> Can they tell the difference between hobgoblins and orcs? ;p
<Laris> or do they care?
<Induriel> I would hope so. They are professionals...
<Laris> mmm.
<Induriel> But what about the orcs? Does their story sound reasonable to you?
<Laris> (who are the orcs in the area? like what tribes/groups are they probably referring to?)
<Induriel> We did know they were coming, after all. Just not exactly why.
<YOAW_Narrator> You know there are several tribal alliances of orcs to the south, in the mountains and beyond. They pushed out a lot of goblin tribes when they moved north and east. They have reputations as not being terribly friendly to outsiders, especially the mountain tribes.
<YOAW_Narrator> (You can roll Knowledge (or possibly Warfare, I think it's called) for more info if you like)
<Induriel> (And do I know this too? Or can I be so advised by Malliel or somebody? :P )
<YOAW_Narrator> (He and Valtheriel can report at least that much, yes.)
<Laris> (Warefare is better for me, so I'll roll that)
<Laris> !roll 4d6
* Lan-werk rolls for Laris: [ 4d6 ] getting [ 3 4 3 4 ] for a total of [ 14 ].
<YOAW_Narrator> (You're reasonably familiar with the northern edge of the mountains, and the tribes that live there. The coastal ones are occasionally a hazard for ships, with skilled weather-workers who can foul a ship, allowing small craft to swarm them. You've always had the buffer of the Hrieffen and Ankai (and Maazikai), so they've mostly been a nuisance, and you never had the troops to really deal with them.)
<Laris> I would like to consult with Nakhtmin about this bounty from Iter-Was - what it might mean from their point of view. If the wadjet are involving themselves in these matters, that concerns me as to their future plans.
* Rufus_Metillius nods.
<Induriel> If they are expanding northward, what does that mean for Nesu Abamatu?
<Laris> It could mean a future danger. We don't know yet.
<Induriel> Even if they do not intend to come so far north themselves, are they pushing these orcs northward?
<Severina> It'd be the most likely route.
<Laris> Have these troops been good guests so far?
* Laris asks her, just to get a sense of how things have been with them there
<Severina> Model guests, sir.
<Severina> Friendly, professional.
* Induriel nods
<Induriel> That is in keeping with what I have heard of them.
<Severina> You saw their posted guards. They keep two on watch at all times.
<Laris> Well. It's easy enough to keep ten soldiers under control for a few days, when they need to make a good impression. Five hundred, over several months, is a different question.
<Severina> The rest are certainly unwinding, but they haven't caused any trouble.
* Severina nods.
<Rufus_Metillius> Maybe we can negotiate a rainy season contract?
<Rufus_Metillius> At a good price, of course, given our forbearance.
<Laris> If we pay them and they wind up spending their pay back into the city's coffers, I suppose that could be beneficial.
<Induriel> Forgive my ignorance, Rufus Metillius; but what is a "rainy season" contract? Having them on retainer?
<Rufus_Metillius> I just mean a contract during the rainy season.
<Rufus_Metillius> City guard duty, maybe outlying patrols.
<Rufus_Metillius> That sort of thing.
<Induriel> Ah. I see. Er, I understand.
<Laris> But ultimately this is something Domina Mamitu will need to decide. I can take word back to Nesu Abamatu and give her my impressions, as well as seek further guidance.
* Rufus_Metillius nods.
<Induriel> Yes. In the meantime, what shall we say to Laito Voronwië?
<Induriel> When this issue first came up a while back, Mamitu indicated that there were, ah, logisitical difficulties in accepting so many mercenaries into the city at that time.
<Rufus_Metillius> She's not wrong.
<Rufus_Metillius> And for them to be mounted...
<Rufus_Metillius> We'll have to talk to the Hrieffen and the Katalal about that.
<Rufus_Metillius> Share some pasturage.
<Laris> There are, but with some months to prepare for them, we would at least be in a better position. But we will need to carefully consider what the city can bear, and what alliances we want to encourage.
<Rufus_Metillius> What the man said.
<Induriel> So in practical terms, what does that mean as far as the Ola Sornë troop dispositions are concerned?
<Laris> It means they can wait here until we make up our minds.
<Induriel> Will this place be able to support their presence?
<Laris> I presume they are capable of camping.
* Laris says dryly
<Induriel> I was thinking more of supplies, Laris Corvis.
<Induriel> As long as you are satisfied that they will not put undue strain - or that they will be able to forage.
<Laris> If it becomes an issue, let me know.
* Laris says to Varinia.
* Severina nods.
<Severina> As you command.
<Induriel> There is also your point about the Hrieffen. While I'm sure they know the difference, I expect it cannot hurt to emphasize that they are Mamitu's allies.
<Laris> Certainly.
<Induriel> In fact, from the sound of things they may want to work together.
<Laris> I can't speak for the Hrieffen. It would be at their leaders' discretion.
<Induriel> Of course. But if the orcs have been a thorn in their side in the past, surely Gaath Korivan will be open to discussions.
<Laris> It would be more Hraal Kraaz's area, but it's possible.
<Laris> He does enjoy fighting.
<Induriel> I'm not clear from Laito's response whether they are here on a specific contract, or simply for a general bounty that the wadjet offer. We should find out.
<Laris> it sounded like a general bounty to me, but we can attempt to clarify.
<Laris> Is there anything else you wanted to raise while we're here?
* Laris asks Varinia
<Severina> What, like more troops?
* Severina grins.
* Laris smiles
<Severina> No, sir, this is the pressing issue. We're reinforcing and rebuilding, everything on schedule.
<Laris> Very good.
<Laris> I'll remain tonight and head back to Nesu Abamatu in the morning, then.
<Severina> Very good, sir. Your quarters are ready for you. I took the liberty of making sure there are appropriate accommodations for the ambassador as well.
* Induriel nods
<Induriel> Thank you.
<Laris> perhaps we can have dinner with Captain Voronwië.
<Severina> I'm sure it can be arranged.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Did y'all want to skip to that, or were there more private conversations to be had first?)
<Laris> (I didn't have anything further, unless someone wanted to talk to me privately)
* lan_phone (uid135102id-135102.brockwell.irccloud.com) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
<Induriel> (Well, perhaps a quick chat with Malliel and Valtheriel - but that isn't really necessary. I assume they confirm the general situation re: orcs and wadjet)
<YOAW_Narrator> (I'm sure Rufus will, but it'll just be more mulling this over.)
<Induriel> (Ahead to dinner, then?)

Dinner with Laito


* Laris will arrive as expected, dressed appropriately for such an occasion.
* Laito will give another respectful bow and wait for Laris and Induriel to sit.
* Induriel is also dressed in formal Aethrennari fashion, as are his attendants
<Induriel> Captain, I'm so glad we could have this meal together.
<Laito> Again, I am indebted to Nesu Abamatu's hospitality.
<Induriel> How was your journey?
<Laito> Pleasant enough. Some of it was through the Feywild, which is its own adventure.
<Laito> The lands here are interestingly different from home.
<Induriel> Ah. Beautiful, but with their own dangers.
* Laito nods.
* Induriel does not see him nod
<Laris> You seem to know a great deal about Nesu Abamatu. Has word of our little city spread so far?
<Laito> We had some good hunting along the way. Drakes and the like.
<Laito> I tried to gather what information I could.
<Laito> Hoping to use it as a base of operations, as I was.
<Laris> Where were you before this?
<Laito> Our last contract was out on the northwestern borderlands, driving back the dwarves for House Elessar.
<Laito> We crossed much of the continent to take this contract.
<Laris> It must be quite lucrative, then.
<Laito> It has its incentives.
<Laris> Oh?
<Laito> Queen Alcarinel hoped we might be able to lend assistance to her friend Heri Lalu at need.
<Laito> And Iter-Was is paying handsomely.
<Laito> I understand this fort was until recently in other hands.
<Laris> Is it more of a general bounty that they have put out to anyone, or did they specifically contract with your troops?
<Laito> Both, actually.
<Laito> I don't believe we're the only company contracted for the work, but they have put out a general bounty as well.
<Induriel> So other companies may be involved?
<Laito> That's my understanding.
<Laito> They're looking to shore up their influence in the area.
<Laito> They've pushed north quite a bit since Turath's downfall.
* Laris nods
<Laris> You're correct that we have only recently taken possession of this fort, although I think it would be more accurate to say that it was most recently relatively vacant - used only as a last resort, and mainly in disrepair.
<Laito> Then I'm doubly impressed. It looks quite serviceable. Your people have done excellent work.
<Laris> Most of the credit should go to Centurion Severina.
* Laris says with a nod towards her.
<YOAW_Narrator> Severina will nod graciously.
<Induriel> Lugal Corvis and his people are particularly skilled at logistics. I understand it is an aspect of warfare that is too often undervalued.
* Laito smiles.
<Laito> I'm inclined to agree. We make due with a lean support staff, but they're no less heroic than the rest of my troops.
<Laito> I apologize for the short lead time before our arrival. I'm sure it has caused at least some consternation.
<Laito> Rest assured we are adept at living off the land, without over-taxing, of course.
<Induriel> I imagine there is some urgency to this contract with Iter-Was?
<Laris> Our primary concern is for the security and health of the city and its allies.
<Laito> As it must be, of course.
<Laris> How is your company structured? And how do you replenish from losses?
<Laito> For now, we're newly replenished, and we're unlikely to recruit again for some time, barring catastrophic losses.
* Laris nods
<Laito> As to structure, we've found it easiest to adopt a flexible structure of roimë consisting of 25 troops apiece.
<Induriel> I trust your most recent campaign went well, then?
<Laito> We often mix archers and melee cavalry as needed.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Calvary on horseback? or do you have other mounts?
<YOAW_Narrator> (Roimë would translate as "hunt" or "hunting party")
<Laito> It did, Lord Antalanon, thank you. The dwarves are worthy opponents, and they hold a great deal of desirable land.
<Laito> (Back to Laris) Mixed. Three hundred on horses, two hundred on [elduar word meaning "great deer"].
<Laito> (Tried to find a Quenya word but couldn't. :/)
<Laris> ah. interesting.
<Laito> We find they work a bit better in wooded environments.
<Laito> They don't have the same speed and endurance as a horse, but they're more maneuverable and handle rough terrain better.
* Laito shrugs.
<Laris> what about their feeding requirements?
<Laito> Much the same as horses, and actually less picky.
<Laito> We can't all field troops and mounts that don't eat, eh?
<Laris> indeed.
<Laris> It's just that this may impact our ability to provide winter accomodations for your company. Our allies the Hrieffen are powerful horse-riders, and they require considerably grazing area for their herds. It would mean some negotiation to also support hundreds more mounts. But if some of your steeds will eat fodder horses won't, that might mitigate the issue somewhat.
* Laito nods.
<Laito> I understand. We're happy to work for our keep as necessary. We weren't expecting charity.
<Laris> Of course.
<Laito> We passed considerable plains and the way here. I'm sure we can find somewhere for our mounts to graze, with you and your allies' permission.
<Laito> (on the way)
<Laris> It will be a matter for some discussion, certainly.
* Laito nods.
<Laris> In the meantime, you are welcome to continue to partake of our hospitality here, or to come with a small contingent to Nesu Abamatu.
<Laito> I'd be delighted to accompany you back to Nesu Abamatu. I'm excited to see it finally.
<Laris> Very well. We'll depart in the morning.
* Laito smiles.
<Laito> Excellent.

Solos