Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session 37

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session logs
Previous Session 37 Next

Summary

Induriel talks to Faire about Ettelea's offer, but the get derailed by disagreements over polictics and history. Faire heads to the library when he runs in to May and vents to her. She decides that maybe it is time to open the box....after they set up some wards. Laris has a meeting about city planning, and then tends to more private matters with Saḫḫiru. Dianthea consults with Korivan about possession, and Eyllia and Meghan deals with some extra planar pirates.

Session

Session date: 2019-06-02
In Game date: the beginning of Month 9

Induriel consults Faire


* Faire is around, and will likely have been visiting to try to help as much as possible.
* Induriel speak to him privately during one of his visits
<Induriel> My lord Faire, thank you again for coming to see me.
<Faire> It's very much the least I could do.
<Induriel> It is most kind of you. I hope you are well?
<Faire> I'm speaking to contacts for some assistance, but it may take longer still.
<Faire> Oh, yes, I'm well.
<Induriel> You are asking for assistance? With what, if I may ask?
<Faire> With your condition, Lord Antalanon. Certainly I can find someone with enough skill in the healing arts.
<Faire> Faerie is a big place.
<Induriel> Again, that is most kind of you! Thank you.
<Induriel> That in fact is one of the things I wished to talk to you about, to ask for your help.
<Faire> Oh? Was there something specific you had in mind?
<Induriel> Yes. However, it is... complicated.
* Induriel sighs
<Induriel> Have you heard of the fanatir?
<Faire> Well, if it was simple, I'm sure you wouldn't need help.
<Faire> The fanatir? The blind craftsfolk?
<Faire> Well, blind-ish.
<Induriel> Yes. And yes.
<Faire> Oh!
<Induriel> They were brought to my attention recently.
<Faire> It's not a cure, but it could help...
<Faire> I'm not sure how much assistance I can be, though.
<Induriel> I was hoping you might be able to research their methods on my behalf.
<Faire> Hmm.
<Faire> I can try, but it will take some time.
<Faire> And likely travel.
<Induriel> Oh, I would not ask you to leave the court!
<Faire> They don't share their secrets with outsiders.
<Induriel> Apparently they do.
* Induriel sighs again
<Faire> They don't write things down, or have them written down, to my knowledge, and they don't like...us of the Summer Court.
<Faire> Hmm?
<Faire> How do you mean?
* Induriel frowns
<Induriel> Ah.
<Induriel> That is.. unfortunate.
<Induriel> You see - I mentioned that this was brought to my attention.
<Induriel> You know, of course, that the Traitor has representatives here.
<Faire> The Loce sisters and their entourage, yes.
<Induriel> The Camellia sisters, yes. Well, Ettelëa came to see me the other day.
<Faire> Okay.
<Induriel> While I deplore what they stand for, it is politic at the moment to at least be on speaking terms with them - it pleases Mamitu. So I admitted her.
<Induriel> She mentioned that they have a nephew who is blind, and who uses these techniques to function better.
* Faire nods, then adds "Ah, interesting."
<Induriel> She then offered to teach me these techniques.
<Faire> She knows them?
<Faire> That's surprising.
<Induriel> Apparently so.
<Faire> But, if they're available...
<Faire> You're concerned about offended the Queen?
<Induriel> I did not refuse the offer; I thanked her and asked for time to consider.
<Induriel> However, as the Queen's representative, I do not want to be indebted to the representative of the Traitor, no.
<Faire> Did she ask for something in return?
<Induriel> Especially not for what I hope will be a temporary work-around. What I *really
* want is a cure.
<Faire> Well, as I said, I'm looking.
<Induriel> No, she was simply offering. But of course it *would
* put me in her debt, even if she did not ask for anything in return.
<Faire> I'm sure Nasan and Vanya are, too.
<Induriel> Oh, yes, my lord. I do not mean to reproach you or to complain!
<Induriel> But as regards this... possibility... I am loathe to accept.
<Faire> Well, you have every right to complain.
<Faire> It's a terrible situation you're in.
<Faire> But, were I you, I would consider the offer.
<Faire> If nothing else, it's a rare opportunity, even after we find a cure.
* Induriel raises an eyebrow
<Faire> Well, I'm sure we'll find one eventually.
<Induriel> But at what cost?
<Faire> I won't know until we find it.
<Induriel> Oh, for the cure, yes. But accepting this help from one of our Queen's enemies...
<Faire> I leave that to your own wisdom, Lord Antalanon.
<Induriel> ...do you not see that as a conflict of interest?
<Faire> It is not my place to say.
<Induriel> But you evidently do not have the same hesitations I do? You did just describe it as a rare opportunity, my lord.
<Faire> Because it is.
<Faire> The fanatir started as an elshalfarin tradition.
* Induriel tilts his head to one side and listens
<Faire> You might be the first eladrin to learn their techniques, even just this portion of it.
<Faire> And that's sort of the point.
<Faire> How much have we lost out on alienating other elduar?
<Induriel> Alienating them?
<Faire> Elshalfarin? Exiled. Elshadarin? Abandoned. Elalfarin? Condemned as traitors.
<Faire> Not to mention the elomeni.
<Induriel> The Elalfarin *did
* abandon *us*. While I do not blame Ettelëa for that as she had no part in it, that is not something easily forgotten or ignored.
* lan_phone (uid1351@20:67c:2f08:5::2:fbe) has joined #gnomeland
<Faire> I'm neither forgetting nor ignoring it.
<Faire> But I would not call what happened "them abandoning us."
<Induriel> How would you describe it, my lord?
<Faire> How many elven families had relatives among the elomeni in Arkhosia? I understand why the Queen made the choice she did, but she asked them to fight against their kin, then blamed them for fighting against us.
<Induriel> A difficult situation, to be sure. But is that not the true test of loyalty?
<Faire> And where would your loyalty lie, my lord? Blood or crown?
<Faire> Were you faced with the same choice.
* Induriel frowns
<Induriel> I would hope that no relative of mine would ever turn against the Crown.
<May> Well, technically they're ALL relatives of yours.
<May> Like if you go back far enough.
<May> (ww)
<Faire> That wasn't the issue.
<Faire> The crown turned against their relatives.
<Faire> And it's not as though we'd always sided with Bael Turath.
<Faire> Aethrennar, or her mercenaries, fought for both sides for centuries.
<Induriel> And had fought against Arkhosia before. In any case, this does not help with the present situation.
<Faire> I was just going to say that.
<Faire> I'll continue my search for a cure, my lord.
<Faire> If you'll excuse me.
<Induriel> I thank you, my lord.
<Induriel> I will consider what you have said most carefully.
* Induriel carefully stands and bows as Faire leaves
* Faire will make his exit.

Faire vents to May and they make a (highly questionable) plan


* Faire will head to the library.
* Faire opens the door a bit more forcefully than really necessary.
* May is sitting cross-legged in one corner of the room with a pile of books on either side of her and several spread open on the floor in front of her. As usual.
* May will look up at the sound of the door.
* Faire stops short.
<May> Lord Roanne...
<Faire> Oh, Heri Lalu.
<Faire> I'm sorry to barge in.
<May> Is everything all right?
* Faire sighs.
<Faire> Everything is...about the same as it always is.
<May> Do you want to talk about it?
* May will clear a few books out of the way and gesture for him to sit down if he wants.
* Faire looks hesitant, but also like he wants to.
* Faire sits down.
<May> What's bothering you?
<May> Is it something I can help with?
<Faire> Not unless you can talk some sense into a whole generation of my people, starting with Lord Antalanon.
* May sighs.
<May> If only I could. What did he do?
* Faire looks unsure for a moment.
<Faire> If I tell you, I'll have to swear you to secrecy.
* May raises an eyebrow at that.
<Faire> It's not like a state secret or anything, just something I don't think he'd want getting out.
<May> Oh...
<May> Well in that case you have to tell me now. I promise I won't say anything.
<Faire> Ettelea has...not a cure, but a, hmm, a workaround for the ambassador's condition.
<May> ...that's good news, isn't it?
<Faire> And she offered to teach him, but...well, you know how he is.
<May> I've been trying to find one for weeks
<May> Oh... I see.
<May> Because they're Vanilorran.
* Faire nods.
<Faire> I think he's being foolish, and we got into a bit of an argument over things.
* Faire sighs.
<May> Trust me when I say you won't change his mind on that issue. I've tried.
<Faire> Your people are lucky. Fifteen hundred years of history isn't so much to deal with.
* May laughs at that.
* Faire smiles and chuckles a little.
<Faire> Granted, the schism is only a bit more than a century old.
<Faire> But it's just the latest in a long line.
<May> Wounds take time to heal, especially among your people.
<May> Sometimes being short lived can be an advantage.
<Faire> Wounds require care to heal.
<Faire> And we're...not so good at that.
<May> Certainly you're not the only one who feels this way.
* Faire nods.
<Faire> There's a fair amount of people in my generation that do.
<Faire> Some of them here.
<May> Truth doesn't win by convincing its opponents. It wins because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up believing in it. That just takes longer in your people's case.
<Faire> Maybe that works for your people. Mine has longer memories.
<Faire> No offense.
<May> None taken.
* May smiles.
<Faire> Out of curiosity, I know Meghan and Lord Gladius are here, but if a group of ex-Arkhosians showed up wanting to settle here, what would you do?
<Faire> I mean, they're just two Arkhosians, and barely so.
<May> Everyone is welcome here until they prove that they shouldn't be. I believe this city grows stronger by welcoming people than by alienating them.
* Faire nods.
<Faire> That's good to hear.
<Faire> I think Nesu Abamatu is really lucky to have you, May.
* May blushes slightly.
<May> It's lucky to have you too. You're in the right place if your goal is healing the wounds of the past.
<Faire> Well, I don't know how much I personally can do, but I support the idea.
<May> You can help me build this place. I want Nesu Abamatu to be an example to the world of what cooperation can accomplish. Maybe we can convince Aethrenar that way.
<May> We both know the reason you were sent here. I don't know yet what choice I will make, but regardless of what it is, I'd be honored to have you here helping me.
* Faire smiles and looks away for a second.
<Faire> I'm happy to help, however I can.
<Faire> I, um, I like working with you.
* May blushes again.
<May> ...what do you like to do for fun, Lord Roanne?
<Faire> Huh?
<Faire> Oh, uh, hmm.
<Faire> Read? Explore? The Feywild has a lot to offer.
<Faire> Why? What do you do for fun?
<May> Whatever I can get away with.
* Faire grins.
<Faire> You're in charge. Can't you get away with anything?
<May> You would think so, but I'm finding out that the more you territory you control, the less room you have.
<May> What do you say we go and explore the city tomorrow? I can show you some great spots.
<Faire> That sounds great. I'd love to see it through your eyes.
* May smiles again.
<May> Oh... what was the work around you mentioned? The one for Induriel's blindness?
<Faire> Oh, right.
<Faire> Have your ever heard of the fanatir?
<May> I don't believe so.
* Faire nods.
<Faire> They're not a large tradition.
<Faire> They're relic makers. Magical artisans.
<Faire> They can see magic.
<May> Literally?
* Faire nods.
<Faire> Like we see light.
<May> Interesting.
<Faire> As I understand, they are all otherwise blind.
<May> Is this a skill anyone can learn?
<Faire> I don't know. They're pretty secretive.
<May> But Ettelea says she can teach Induriel this?
<Faire> They were originally a drow tradition, but I've heard of some elves and shadar-kai who have learned as well.
* Faire nods.
<Faire> So I'm told.
<Faire> Apparently she has a nephew who was recruited by them.
<Faire> He was born without sight.
<Faire> Those are their preferred students, I hear.
<May> That stubborn... he'd rather be blind than accept help from a vanilorran.
<Faire> Now you see my frustration.
<May> Do you think she would show you? Or me? Maybe we could teach him.
<Faire> Possibly. It's amazing she knows, much less that she offered to teach someone.
<May> hmmm... I don't suppose it's the kind of thing we'd be able to learn from research.
<Faire> I don't know that there's anything to research.
<Faire> It's not information they're writing down.
<Faire> Or storing in some other way.
<Faire> Again, that I know of.
<May> Maybe we should talk to Ettelea at least. But that would mean admitting we know.
* Faire nods.
<Faire> Also, if Lord Antalanon is concerned about putting himself in her debt, wouldn't this just put you in her debt instead?
<May> I\m already in his debt for his sacrifice for me. It would just mean trading who I owe.
<Faire> Yes, but I'm sure he's much more comfortable with you owing him than with you owing Ettelea Loce.
<May> I'm sure he is.
<May> Perhaps for now we should focus on finding a cure. I may be starting to get somewhere in my research in that direction, though it's always hard to tell.
* Faire nods.
<Faire> I have contacts in Faerie trying to track some things down.
<Faire> We don't know any more about what caused it, right?
<May> Almost nothing, save that it was magical.
<May> No one has been allowed near the thing just in case.
* Faire nods.
<Faire> Reasonable, but knowing more about it might give us some direction in searching for a cure.
* May sighs.
<May> Yes. But I wouldn't risk anyone who is capable of learning anything from it.
* Faire sighs.
<Faire> Right.
<Faire> Do you think it was some sort of trap?
<Faire> The magical equivalent of a box full of snakes?
<Faire> Or what have you.
<May> It certainly seems that way.
<May> But i don't know if that was the effect it was supposed to have or not. It may have been that Induriel's sensing ritual interfered with it in some way.
<Faire> Should we be concerned about that?
<Faire> I mean, that could be considered an act of war if it was meant to harm you.
<May> Trust me, I am. I just don't know what to do about it.
<Faire> It seems particularly provocative from what I've heard of Lady Morelos.
<May> It's also possible it was a trap to keep anyone except me from opening it.
* Faire nods.
<Faire> Sounds like it's powerful, whatever it is.
* May seems to be considering something.
<May> Yes...
<Faire> What?
<May> Maybe I should do it. Open it.
* May removes the key that she's been keeping on a chain around her neck.
<Faire> Whoa, now, if it is a trap...
<May> If it's a trap it's likely already spent. And even if it isn't, maybe I can figure out more about the spell. Enough to find a cure.
<Faire> That's quite a bit of supposition.
<May> Mmmm...
<Faire> You'd at least need some wards.
<Faire> As many as we could stack on.
<May> Yes. I'd want to be careful about it.
<May> ...we?
<Faire> Well, I mean, if it is genuinely only for you, I probably shouldn't be there, but that doesn't mean I can't help with the preparation.
* May grins.
<May> Tomorrow night then. After we see the city. If I do go blind... I can think of worse things to be my last sight.
* Faire can't really blush with his complexion, but is doing his darnedest.

Laris catches up on city business, and also with Saḫḫiru


<YOAW_Narrator> Laris, while you are the lugal, much of the apparatus of rule is still run by people you put into place, so you still have quite a bit city business to attend to. When you return to the city, you and Sahhiru will be working on that.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Time for one of Laris's favorite things: municipal planning :))
* Laris expected nothing less (and is a little bit excited at getting back to that :)
<Laris> (did Rufus and Dianthea also return with me?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (I would think so, yes. You can leave Varinia in charge of the fort for the time being.)
<Laris> (okay. I just want to make sure that Rufus takes a little time off to rest ;)
<YOAW_Narrator> You'll find yourself for the moment in a meeting with Sahhiru and several bureaucrats: Celsa Euphrosyne, Emebiet, Lucia Jiksidur, Nakhtmin, etc.
* Faire is now known as Sahhiru
* NPC2 is now known as Emebiet
* NPC3 is now known as Lucia
<YOAW_Narrator> (I would imagine you can convince Rufus to take some time at the villa. Maybe Dianthea can go with him to make sure he rests.)
<Laris> (okay)
<Emebiet> ...With the expansion of the castle almost complete, we need to be looking toward construction in the city itself.
* Sahhiru waves his hand for Emebiet to continue.
* Laris listens attentively
<Emebiet> We're seeing a major influx from the newly...allied territories, and we don't have housing for them all.
<Emebiet> Having them camping outside the walls isn't helping anyone.
* Lucia is now known as Celsa
<Celsa> Not to mention it's strategically problematic.
<Sahhiru> So housing is a problem.
<Laris> is there room within the walls to put up more housing? or would it require expanding the walls as well?
* Emebiet looks to Lucia.
* Celsa is now known as Lucia
<Lucia> We have a little room, but we'd be best served tearing down some old structures and building insulae.
<Lucia> But, yes, eventually we'll need to expand the walls.
* Laris nods
<Emebiet> Which means we needs timber and stone.
<Sahhiru> And labor.
<Laris> With the assistance of Nakhtmin and Magus Auspex, hopefully we can provide sufficient labourers.
* Lucia is now known as Nakhtmin
<Nakhtmin> We have the raw materials, certainly. It will take some time to expand the workforce.
<Sahhiru> Perhaps this new influx can be put to work in the meantime.
* Emebiet nods hesitantly.
<Laris> Do you have concerns about that?
* Laris inquires
<Emebiet> The halflings don't always mesh well with our people.
<Emebiet> It's like when the Hrieffen are in town, but worse.
<Emebiet> There's more of them, for one.
<Laris> Do you mean in terms of size, or ... culture?
<Emebiet> Uh, the latter, Lugal.
<Emebiet> The size issue is more manageable.
<Laris> Well, the Hrieffen are beginning to see the merits of a more settled base, now that they have been exposed to its advantages. Perhaps the halflings will find the same. It may be difficult, but only in the short term.
* Sahhiru smirks momentarily at that comment.
<Sahhiru> Could we perhaps make sure there are more soldiers available for patrols in the meantime?
<Laris> If they aid in building the structures, they may feel more investment in the city as their home. I would not compel them to do so, but offering them pay for work seems fair, and likely to increase their sense that they belong here as well as anyone else.
* Nakhtmin is now known as Lucia
<Lucia> I hadn't planned to impress them, Lugal Corvis.
* Laris nods
<Lucia> Fair wages for fair work.
<Lucia> They're freemen, if not precisely citizens.
<Sahhiru> For the time being. We will, perhaps, need to revisit the concept of citizenship at some point.
<Laris> Indeed.
<Emebiet> Labor is a minor concern, really, compared to supply.
<Laris> With the river now secure, more trade should be possible.
<Emebiet> We don't have extensive timber holdings or a dedicated quarry as yet, my lords.
* Emebiet nods.
<Emebiet> If we could have permission to treat with our northern neighbors, it might be more expedient.
* Sahhiru frowns at that.
* Lucia is now known as Celsa
<Celsa> Admittedly, the western fort is taking up much of the river trade in building goods at the moment.
<Celsa> And with good reason.
<Sahhiru> Securing our hold to the west is of utmost importance, yes.
<Sahhiru> As to the north, that's a delicate situation.
<Laris> Are there any suitable areas within the new territory that could supply some materials in the meantime?
<Celsa> That depends on how much pressure we want to put on our new allies.
<Celsa> Our directly controlled territory has little enough of what we need.
<Celsa> Though we could conduct a more intensive survey.
* Laris nods, considering
<Laris> Could we conduct the trade with the Haugbror and others through intermediaries, if direct dealing is not currently a favourable option?
<Sahhiru> Ile Nyara Oorun, perhaps?
<Sahhiru> Surely the Amanya Hatal can't object to their trade.
<Emebiet> The beastfolk? That might work.
* Laris nods
<Laris> If we make it known that we are interested in lumber and stone, I feel confident that they would be resourceful enough to find a seller.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Sahhiru> Thank you, all. We'll take this all under advisement and provide directives shortly.
<YOAW_Narrator> The assembled will variously nod and take their leave.
<Sahhiru> I'm curious. Do you prefer this work or your military endeavors?
* Sahhiru says with a smile after they leave.
* Laris considers
<Laris> This work generally has fewer people trying to kill me.
<Sahhiru> Not here, perhaps. If you were in Thantopolis, or had been in Bael Turath...
<Laris> But military campaigns have a certain... direct action that is appealing. If someone objects to my plans, running them through with a sword is an option there.
<Sahhiru> I suppose it is an option here, as well, if frowned upon.
<Sahhiru> It's good to have you back.
<Laris> It's the sort of thing that might be effective once.
<Laris> After that, it only results in ... more people trying to kill me.
* Laris smiles at that
<Sahhiru> All part of the job, were you to ask my people.
<Laris> It's good to be back, as well. I can see that things have been moving along in my absence.
<Sahhiru> Well, we try our best to muddle along without you.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Laris> You manage perfectly well. I hardly came back to any chaos at all.
* Sahhiru chuckles.
<Sahhiru> How are things out west? Hraal Kraaz seems to be keeping occupied, and I hear your new fortification is at least functional.
<Laris> It has fewer holes in it now, which is preferable.
<Sahhiru> The same is true of our troops, thanks to you.
<Sahhiru> Well, fewer holes than there might have been.
<Laris> Other than that, things are stable enough. As you noted, Kraaz is chasing down any stragglers who remain unconvinced of our claim over the area, and the trading route along the river is improving.
<Sahhiru> Excellent.
* Sahhiru sighs.
<Sahhiru> Emebiet's proposal does press the question of the Amanya Hatal.
* Laris nods
<Sahhiru> May's preoccupied, but perhaps we should attempt to open diplomatic relations.
<Sahhiru> However much those have failed before.
<Laris> I'm not opposed to that. We may have more to offer as potential allies now than we did before.
<Sahhiru> I feel we're most likely to secure peaceful relations in spite of the Amanya Hatal, rather than because of them, but the effort needs be made.
<Laris> And if not... at least we would have the opportunity to find out where we stand.
<Sahhiru> We'll have to speak to them first, of course, but it's their allies we'll truly need to court.
<Laris> Would you propose sending a diplomatic delegation there, or inviting them here?
<Sahhiru> There are issues either way, but I think we'll have to send a delegation. They're likely to ignore an invitation.
* Laris nods
<Sahhiru> By the Nine, they're likely to ignore a delegation, but at least that we can make more of an effort with.
<Laris> it's a little harder to completely ignore, at least. They would have to at the bare minimum tell us to go away.
<Sahhiru> Which is at least contact.
<Laris> Yes. And we would have better cause for responding accordingly.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Sahhiru> That direct action you find so useful, eh?
<Laris> Well. If the softer touch fails.
<Sahhiru> "Diplomacy through other means," I think is the phrase?
<Laris> Indeed.
<Sahhiru> That would secure the valley, and Nesu Abamatu, for the time being.
<Sahhiru> Give Mamitu so breathing room for her dream.
<Sahhiru> (some breathing room)
<Laris> It could bring a temporary reprieve, but perhaps that's enough.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Laris> Who would you recommend sending on such an important mission, then?
<Sahhiru> An excellent question.
<Sahhiru> Mamitu might do, but it could be dangerous. I have little enough official standing, but it's conceivable. I would of course trust you with it, but your position here might send the wrong message.
<Sahhiru> Master Pesha has made some contacts. He might suffice...
* Sahhiru sighs.
<Sahhiru> I'll have to consider it further.
<Sahhiru> Who would you send?
<Laris> If Mamitu had chosen a partner, it might be feasible to send them - someone close enough to her to speak in her interests, but less immediately threatening. I would also of course be willing to attempt it, but my skills are not in diplomacy, I fear. I could provide protection and lend some additional weight to someone else's mission, though.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> I'll be sure to let her know more hangs upon her decision of a consort. :)
<Laris> Ah, do you know if she has shown any favour towards one over the others?
<Sahhiru> She seems fond of Lords Zorika, Faire, and Nykona.
<Sahhiru> Though she dislikes none of them, it seems.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I know it's already a great deal of pressure on her, but her choice does affect all of us, in some measure.
<Sahhiru> She is well aware of that, believe me.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I have no wish to rush her. I can understand taking one's time over such matters.
<Sahhiru> How is Dianthea, by the way?
* Sahhiru smirks a little.
<Sahhiru> Settling in well?
<Laris> I think so. She is still considering how best to devote her time here - she wants to feel useful. But I hope that she will find a calling that appeals to her.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Sahhiru> She have any interest in diplomacy?
* Laris smiles at that
<Laris> It's not the worst idea I've heard. I could put the suggestion to her, at least. But I think she is more inclined to stay close to home.
<Sahhiru> I'm only half-joking. She's a woman of station, personable, and with experience dealing with long-lived beings perhaps out of touch with the wider reality.
* Laris nods
<Laris> If I did go, it might be a way of .. tempering the appearance of my station, if that makes sense. I would appear less militarily-focused if I brought my wife with me.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> I thought something similar in the idea of sending Dianthea, were she interested. Her connection to you holds the tacit promise of reprisal should they harm her in any way.
<Sahhiru> Not that I think they would, but, still.
* Laris frowns slightly, but nods.
<Sahhiru> Something to consider, and perhaps discuss with her.
<Laris> I can bring it up and see how she feels about it.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> We'd need to send Lalu troops with you, if you went.
<Sahhiru> In addition to whatever forces you thought necessary.
<Sahhiru> Nothing large, but enough to act as deterrent.
<Laris> Yes - make it clear that it is House Lalu's interests that are being represented, not my own.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> Though I would hope this would be in your best interests as well.
<Laris> Certainly, yes. But I know that there are some who are as yet unconvinced that I'm not the one in charge here.
<Sahhiru> Right.
<Sahhiru> Well, perhaps we will have to send Mamitu.
<Sahhiru> If you were to go with her as a military escort, though...
* Laris nods
<Laris> Well, it would certainly show our seriousness.
<Sahhiru> Perhaps a grand gesture is what's needed.
<Sahhiru> And May can best speak for her desire for peace.
<Laris> If they ignore that, at least no one can say we didn't make our best effort.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> I believe we've had some contact from the Nalta Yaru desiring peace. If they grant safe conduct, we can get a delegation to the Amanya Hatal safely.
<Sahhiru> Well, as safely as possible.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I imagine proceeding soon would be best.
<Laris> Before the weather changes for the rainy season.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> We've a little time, but much to do.
<Laris> I'll speak with Dianthea, and you can raise the issue with May, then. And we can work on putting together the remainder of the delegation.
<Sahhiru> Sounds good.
<Sahhiru> For the time being, I understand Dianthea and Rufus are at your villa for the evening?
<Laris> Yes, that's correct.
<Sahhiru> Would you care to stay for dinner?

Solos

Dianthea asks Korivan for advice on spirit possession


* Dianthea will have sent a message ahead that she would like to speak with Korivan, then head to the Hrieffen camp at the appointed time.
<YOAW_Narrator> Fasha can inform Korivan that his visitor has arrived.
<YOAW_Narrator> Faasha, rather.
* Korivan will have her see her in
<Dianthea> Thank you for seeing me, Gaath Korivan.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> Of course _
<Dianthea> I was hoping to discuss the topic of possession with you?
<Dianthea> You might call it channeling, or riding?
<Korivan> Yes....
<Korivan> What of it?
<Dianthea> Well, I've discussed the idea of it with our new allies, and they and I are both interested in it. In my vocation back in Thantopolis, it was seen as a remarkable therapeutic tool, though I myself have never employed it. I understand your people practice it ritually.
<Dianthea> And, of course, you have some special insight.
<Korivan> Hmmm.... the connection I have is... different. But I am still...very familiar.
<Dianthea> Do you not use ritual for communion then?
<Korivan> oh yes _
<Korivan> but it is...different for me
<Korivan> But I know the rites.
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> What's it like?
<Korivan> ...which?
<Dianthea> Both, if you don't mind.
<Dianthea> Your 'mark is fascinating.
<Korivan> For me it is...turning to an inward path
<Korivan> Whatever ...channel connets me to them, I can follow
<Dianthea> Hmm.
* Dianthea looks thoughtful.
<Dianthea> And through ritual?
<Korivan> yes.
<Korivan> I can speak with them.... more directly
<Dianthea> Sorry, I meant is it different through ritual?
<Dianthea> (Scratch that)
<Dianthea> (Misunderstood)
* Biggles (Mibbitbas1-montreal43-70-51-28-229.dsl.bell.ca) has joined #gnomeland
<Dianthea> More like how we're speaking now?
<Korivan> yes....
<Korivan> and... in their places _
<Dianthea> That sounds amazing, and terrifying.
<Korivan> yes....
<Dianthea> I understand, in the battle at the river, you gave at least some control of yourself to the river's spirit. Am I getting that right?
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> We had... an arrangement _
* Korivan grins though
<Dianthea> I'll bet.
* Dianthea smirks.
<Dianthea> What was that like?
<Dianthea> I feel that might be more similar to the situation with the Kai Do Arat.
<Dianthea> Being manifested spirits and all.
<Korivan> That was... a shared awareness.
* Dianthea nods.
<Korivan> It was the same in the final battle against... the Maazikai
<Dianthea> Oh?
<Korivan> we manifested the ancestors then _
<Dianthea> A similar "shared awareness"?
<Korivan> yes
<Korivan> a more... direct gguidance _
<Dianthea> So you are still in control of yourself?
* Korivan considers
<Korivan> The medecines for the rites... induce a certain lack of control _
* Dianthea chuckles a little.
<Dianthea> An intrinsic part of the ritual.
* Dianthea smiles.
<Korivan> yes.
<Dianthea> How do you determine if someone is ready for such a ritual?
* Korivan grins again
<Dianthea> Among your people, I mean.
<Korivan> When someone joins the booyagh... there is a term of learning.... assisting without participation...
<Korivan> The elders can... make that judgement.
<Korivan> Some are more suited than others _
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> What makes one more or less suited?
<Dianthea> Among my temple, there is a debate of body versus mind.
<Dianthea> Strength of spirit or strength of flesh.
<Dianthea> Though perhaps the latter has to do with the mortification of flesh common to our ritual.
* Dianthea smirks again.
* Korivan frowns slightly
<Korivan> what do you mean?
<Dianthea> Bloodletting, burns, frostbite...
* Dianthea shrugs.
<Dianthea> Pain is a powerful route to the divine.
<Korivan> ahh... yes.
<Korivan> Both are needed.... but without strength of spirit, you can... lose yourself.
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> So I've heard.
<Dianthea> I suppose there's only so much preparation one can do for that, though.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> The intent of the spirits....also matters
<Dianthea> I'm sure that's true, but how do you mean?
<Korivan> If the river had wanted to overwhelm me.... more.... she could have.
<Korivan> She.... kept to our arrangement, by her nature
<Korivan> But spirits can have... different natures
* Dianthea nod.
<Dianthea> Is it more of a partnership with your ancestors?
<Korivan> yes. or like... other elders.
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> Well, you've given me a lot to think about.
* Dianthea looks like she might have another question or two, but moves towards the opening of the tent.
<Korivan> I will... be here for a littlwe while, if you have,... other questions
<Korivan> or seek more... concrete guidance
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> I'll think about it.
<Dianthea> You should come out to the villa again at some point. Bring your...apprentices? They seemed to like it.
<Dianthea> Though I'm sure we'll have another celebration soon enough.
<Dianthea> Here in town, at the very least.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> yes, soon.

The Iron Drake rescues a merchant craft from extraplanar raiders


<YOAW_Narrator> So, the Drake has been drafted into the patrols for whatever is causing the disappearance of ships in the Houses' new territory.
<YOAW_Narrator> As previously discussed, several fishing boats, yours and the Kahewai, have gone missing, presumed destroyed.
<YOAW_Narrator> Some bits of ship or cargo (more like supplies) have been found floating, though searches of the seabed by watersouls like Eyllia have found no trace of the ships.
<YOAW_Narrator> No one is entirely sure what's going on, but it's definitely putting a crimp in food production and new trade with Nesu Abamatu.
* Eyllia is clearly frustrated by the situation
<YOAW_Narrator> The crew is, too. Another boat, a Kahewai one, goes missing about the beginning of the second week.
<Eyllia> (any chance we are lucky enough to be nearby)
<YOAW_Narrator> As you're patrolling a few days later, Vana will signal from her aerial vantage point (she and her windspeakers have been pushing themselves in the scouting department) that she spots a friendly ship in the distance, as well as a signal that's usually used for Change phenomena.
* Dianthea is now known as Vana
* Vana will fly back down to the deck.
* lan_phone (uid135102id-135102.brockwell.irccloud.com) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
* Vana rushes to Eyllia.
<Vana> Some kind of tear in the sky, Captain. Planar rift, by my guess, but it looks much too stable.
<Eyllia> Its the first clue we've found... how dangerous is it?
<Vana> Hard to say. It looks like it's widening. The boat is pulling up their nets, but it'll take them some time to come about.
<Vana> We can handle some leakage from the Chaos if necessary.
<Vana> Though nothing is forthcoming so far.
<Eyllia> Then we make for it and find out if its the source of our problems
* Eyllia will call out the course
<YOAW_Narrator> The crew heaves to and the Drake begins closing with the rift and the small vessel.
<Eyllia> Lysa, get arms ready... we don't know what were heading for
* Vana is now known as Lysa
<Lysa> Aye!
* Lysa begins barking out orders to that effect.
<YOAW_Narrator> As the Drake closes the distance, you can clearly see the rift rising from the sea, a split in the air through which you can see a different horizon.
<YOAW_Narrator> Suddenly, a ship of unfamiliar design comes out of the rift at speed.
<YOAW_Narrator> It's course is taking it quickly to the fishing vessel, and you can see figures on board, as well as a few ballistae.
<Eyllia> (can I tell what kind of ship? cargo? war? bigger or smaller than the Drake?)
<YOAW_Narrator> The ship looks a bit bigger than the Drake, and you'd guess it's a war vessel of some kind. You've never seen a similar design. It's sails have an iridescent sheen to them, and the vessel has a low-built design that definitely looks out of place in these waters.
<YOAW_Narrator> The ship's ballistae wait to fire at close range, and you see cables attached to the projectiles.
<Eyllia> (will we be able to close to firing range for out balistas before they get to fire theirs at the fishing boat?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (No, it was closer to begin with.)
<YOAW_Narrator> (If you want to swing around, you could get a good shot at it as it's tethered.)
<YOAW_Narrator> (You could also try to overshoot and just hit the ship as it's pulling the two together.)
<Eyllia> (I was hoping just to get a shot off to make it clear that we were a threat... just has to be close)
<YOAW_Narrator> (You can do that.)
* Lysa directs the Drake's...gunners? archers? ballisters?...to let fly.
<YOAW_Narrator> The new ship seems to falter for a moment in it's work of bringing the ships together, but then continues.
<YOAW_Narrator> You'll be close enough to make out the figures on the new ship a bit more, small, dark-gray-skinned humanoids as the first of them jumps to the fishing boat, apparently wielding a spear and net.
<Eyllia> Lysa, we'll engage and try and rescue our allies and try and nab one of them, but I don't want to get hauled through that rift.
<Eyllia> Vana, were going to go closer, learn all you can about that rift
<YOAW_Narrator> Both officers will acknowledge your command, and the Drake closes the distance. The crew of the new ship seems to be attempting to capture or subdue the fishing boat's crew.
* Eyllia will form up with a group of boarders getting ready to engage
<YOAW_Narrator> It won't take them long, and they are positioning the fisherfolk so as to shield them as the Drake closes the distance. It looks as though one of them is examining the fisherfolk as the rest prepare to receive the Drake.
<YOAW_Narrator> The Drake closes the distance, and you and your boarders can cross to the fishing boat as a three of the strange humanoids, including the one doing the examining, haul the single fisherman towards their ship.
* Eyllia will leap across with her boarders
<Eyllia> [in Primordial] LET THEM GO!
<YOAW_Narrator> (Roll Fighting (Like it's not going to be gross. :p))
<Eyllia> !roll 8d6
* Lan-werk rolls for Eyllia: [ 8d6 ] getting [ 4 3 6 4 6 4 1 1 ] for a total of [ 29 ].
<YOAW_Narrator> They shout back at you as they rush to meet you and your boarders.
<Eyllia> (so 24 +1 for weapon quality = 25)
<YOAW_Narrator> The raiders seem oddly heavily-armored for marines, and their armor is a metal you don't recognize, a few shades darker than their skin. It repels your specially-forged blades well, but you're more than skilled enough to find the weak points.
<YOAW_Narrator> Several of the raiders fall beneath your blades and those of your marines, though the raiders fight with an almost frenzied zeal.
<YOAW_Narrator> You see Meghan go soaring overhead, dropping down to set upon the trio dragging the fisherman.
* Eyllia will press to help her friend
<YOAW_Narrator> You only catch glimpses of that assault, being yourself occupied, but there is a strange feeling of vertigo and you see Meghan go flying across the deck, not under her own power. A glimpse shows one of the trio dead, a second barely managing her grip on the fisherman, bleeding from a leg wound. The third, the one who was conducting whatever examinations occurred before, has a hand extended towards Meghan's direction.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Are you wanting to break off where you are and head that way, then? Try to get around the folks you're engaged with currently?)
<Eyllia> (I do want to bypass them if I can)
<Eyllia> (and head that way)
<YOAW_Narrator> You can use your watersoul ability to literally flow between them, closing the distance to the now duo. The wounded one let's go of her prisoner to meet you sword-to-sword, barely getting her blade into a defense in time. The caster mutters something and the fisherman goes limp.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Roll Fighting again :))
<Eyllia> !roll 9d6
* Lan-werk rolls for Eyllia: [ 9d6 ] getting [ 5 2 2 4 1 3 1 1 2 ] for a total of [ 21 ].
<YOAW_Narrator> (19?)
<Eyllia> (otherwise yeah 19)
<YOAW_Narrator> The raider manages to hold her own against Eyllia for a moment, skillfully taking hits on her armor or blade as necessary. The caster begins hauling the unconscious fisherman over the gunwale.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Roll Will, please)
<Eyllia> (I will spend 1 destiny to remove my -1d)
<Eyllia> !roll 3d6
* Lan-werk rolls for Eyllia: [ 3d6 ] getting [ 3 3 4 ] for a total of [ 10 ].
<YOAW_Narrator> You feeling a crushing despair, as though you had been lost at sea, alone, for days. You blink away tears and your limbs feel heavy and leaden. A strange, howling wind echoes in your ears.
<YOAW_Narrator> Despite the furor of the battle, you can hear a low, steady chanting.
<Eyllia> (can I try and roll into the water? Drown out the chanting?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Sure. Roll Agility)
<Eyllia> (acrobatics apply?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Sure)
<Eyllia> !roll 6d6
* Lan-werk rolls for Eyllia: [ 6d6 ] getting [ 2 6 5 6 4 1 ] for a total of [ 24 ].
<Eyllia> (21+6 = 27)
<YOAW_Narrator> You manage to lurch your way to the gunwale and over, plunging into the waiting ocean.
<YOAW_Narrator> You can still hear the chanting and the winds, but you feel your connection to the vastness of the sea, and find surcease in the calm, endless depths.
* Eyllia will recenter herself while assessing the scene underwater
<YOAW_Narrator> Looking up, and with perfectly clear vision through the water, you can see the raider ship beginning to cut cables to loose itself from the fishing vessel.
* Eyllia will swim up back to the fishing boat to learn the condition of her boarders
<Eyllia> (and Meghan)
<YOAW_Narrator> One of your marines will give you a hand up as you surface. Your boarders seem to have the boat, with several of the enemy wounded and captured.
* Lysa is now known as Meghan
* Meghan is on her feet, but looking a little shaken. She also appears ready to take wing over to the raider ship as it is attempting to come about towards the rift.
* Eyllia puts a hand on her larger friend
<Eyllia> I want to head over there just as much as you do but we can't afford to be caught on the other side of that rift if it closes
<Eyllia> ... or when it closes
* Eyllia will call to Lysa
<Eyllia> MAKE THIER ESCAPE HURT!
<YOAW_Narrator> A cheer goes up from the Drake's crew as the ballistae and archers open up on the fleeing ship.
* Eyllia to Mehgan and the boarders
<YOAW_Narrator> It's hull seems remarkably resilient, but the ship rocks under the hits, and you see several figures collapse under arrow fire. Session Time: Thu Jun 06 00:00:02 2019
<Eyllia> They got away with one of those we were to protect.. but we have a few of theirs too... and we will know who our enemy is next time.
<YOAW_Narrator> You get grim nods from your boarders and Meghan.
<Meghan> That spell...
* Meghan frowns and growls.
<Meghan> Usually that sort of thing slides off me.
<Eyllia> lets see what we can learn from the prisoners and thier gear... that may have some answers
* Meghan nods.
<Eyllia> and their losses may give them pause on another attempt
<YOAW_Narrator> Several of your marines are guarding a small group of prisoners.
<YOAW_Narrator> The prisoners look oddly calm.
<YOAW_Narrator> The enemy ship, kept under fire from the Drake, glides back through the rift, which slowly closes behind it.
<Eyllia> (what do they look like under thier armor/helms?)
<YOAW_Narrator> Somewhere between dwarves, gnomes, and goblins, but completely bald.