Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session 35

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session logs
Previous Session 35 Next

Summary

May and Induriel prepare a copy of Kirku Ilūtu, the Scroll of the Gods, for Lady Morelos. Induriel brings it to her in his dream, and she gives him a box for May. When he attempts to examine it, he is blinded. He informs May and Saḫḫiru. Meanwhile at the fort, Kraaz checks in with Laris and proposes a plan for their forces to learn from each other. At the Hrieffen ritual site, Korivan is given a vision of Nachtur by Bane during the ceremony to honour the ancestors. Laris and Dianthea talk some about the Kai Do Arat.

Session

Session date: 2015-05-12
In Game date: a few days after the previous session (beginning month 8)

May and Induriel prepare the book for Lady Morelos


<YOAW_Narrator> Induriel and May, I believe you were planning on trying to do something with the book to see if you could use it as a focus for scrying on Morelos?
<Induriel> And I just increased my Will and ritual casting! :D
<Induriel> So yes, why don't we look into that?
<May> Yeah, and I wanted to make sure there's nothing magically unusual about it
<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, why don't we start with some Awareness rolls, then.
<May> !roll 3d6
* Lan-werk rolls for May: [ 3d6 ] getting [ 5 6 4 ] for a total of [ 15 ].
<Induriel> !roll 2d6
* Lan-werk rolls for Induriel: [ 2d6 ] getting [ 1 6 ] for a total of [ 7 ].
<Induriel> (Unless "Base 8" adds something?)
<YOAW_Narrator> No, that's just your passive score, essentially.
<Induriel> (Alas.)
<YOAW_Narrator> May, the book radiates a faint aura of conjuration and abjuration, but that's far from unusual in your collection. It's pretty standard from Turathi texts.
<May> There's some faint traces of magic on it, but nothing that would make it out of the ordinary.
<May> But it might make hiding our focus magic easier.
<Induriel> Yes.
<Induriel> (What materials is it made of - anything about the cover, or the parchment?)
<YOAW_Narrator> The book is fairly plain by Turathi standards. Leather (which you're pretty sure didn't even come from a sentient being) and paper.
<Induriel> Hmmm. Nothing unusual in the materials, either.
<May> Yes. I don't see any reason to not let her have it.
<May> Although it means I'll have to find a replacement -_-
<Induriel> I believe Sahhiru had one of your scribes start a copy as soon as I brought the matter to is attention.
<Induriel> (his)
<May> Excellent. Then we should get started on researching a way to use it to spy on her.
<YOAW_Narrator> On that note, roll me Knowledge checks, please.
<May> !roll 7d6
* Lan-werk rolls for May: [ 7d6 ] getting [ 6 3 1 5 5 5 6 ] for a total of [ 31 ].
<May> 27
<Induriel> !roll 4d6
* Lan-werk rolls for Induriel: [ 4d6 ] getting [ 1 5 4 2 ] for a total of [ 12 ].
<YOAW_Narrator> Out of curiosity, is that including the +1 die you get from your library?
<May> (Oh, it is not!)
<May> !roll 1d6
* Lan-werk rolls for May: [ 1d6 ] getting [ 3 ].
<May> 30
<Induriel> :O
<Induriel> (I can feel your brain working!)
<YOAW_Narrator> Theoretically Induriel would also get that die, but he can't beat 30, so we're good.
* Induriel nods sagely as May expounds, pretending he thought of it too. :P
<YOAW_Narrator> May, it's good that Sahhiru had that copy commissioned. It'll be a good focus for scrying work, like to like. Turath was at the forefront of this sort of magic, so you're able to find a good ritual for this sort of work. It's not even going to involve bargaining with something this time.
<May> (Yay!)
<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, Will (Rituals) roll time.
<May> !roll 6d6
* Lan-werk rolls for May: [ 6d6 ] getting [ 2 4 5 4 5 6 ] for a total of [ 26 ].
<May> 20
<Induriel> (So it's Will 5 + 4 Rituals = 9 for me, right?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yeah, roll 9 dice, keep 5)
<May> (Five and subtract the lowest 4)
<May> (nine, sorry)
<Induriel> (And if I don't beat May this time, I'm resigning... :P )
<May> (hee)
<Induriel> (Hah, nice try, May! :P)
<Induriel> !roll 9d6
* Lan-werk rolls for Induriel: [ 9d6 ] getting [ 4 5 6 2 4 6 3 5 5 ] for a total of [ 40 ].
<YOAW_Narrator> 27?
<May> (Nice!)
<Induriel> Yep, 27
<Induriel> (Still the master! :P )
* Induriel will try to weave the magic especially subtly, as there is so little to hide it in the book itself...
<YOAW_Narrator> Induriel may not have come up with the spell, but you wouldn't think that as he helps prepare, making some adjustments to the "formula." After a few hours of ritual work, the two of you are able to bind the two books together. They should provide a conduit across the planar boundary, and the magical signature is practically indistinguishable from the book's original aura.
<May> That was beautiful. I can't even tell there's a spell on it.
* Induriel breathes a sigh of relief
* Induriel smiles
<Induriel> Thank you, Winyamo. I can only hope it is equally invisible to... her.
<May> I guess there's only one way to find out.
<Induriel> Yes. Time to test it, I suppose...
<Induriel> I shall give it to her this night, then.
<May> When you give it to her, be deferential. Let her think she has you under her control.
<Induriel> Of course.
<May> I trust you, Istyar. You'll need to be my agent in this.
<Induriel> I will do my best, Mamitu.
<Induriel> I am not used to such intrigues.
<May> I know. I'm not either. Just be careful.
* Induriel nods

Induriel takes the book to Lady Morelos and receives a gift in return


<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, so I suppose Induriel is off to sleep then?
<Induriel> (I guess so!)
* Induriel retires to his chambers, and lies down with the book in his arms...
<YOAW_Narrator> I imagine it might take a little while to actually fall asleep, given what you know is on the other side, but you eventually nod off, finding yourself in the same (you assume) thorned garden as before, facing Huinemait, Morelos' insect-elduar looking majordomo.
* Huinemait (webchat@9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Huinemait> Lord Induriel. The lady has been expecting you.
* Induriel nods
* Huinemait gestures for Induriel to follow.
<Induriel> I am here.
* Induriel follows
* Huinemait leads the way.
<YOAW_Narrator> While the garden seems darker than before, you feel as though you are able to make out more of it. Here and there amidst the vines, you see vaguely humanoid shapes in the foliage. You take them for bizarre topiary at first, but you see one twitch, and you're fairly sure you hear a groan from one of them. Huinemait pays them no mind.
* Induriel sincerely hopes he won't end up as one of them
* Lady_Morelos (webchat@9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Lady_Morelos , as before, sits at a table set for tea.
<Huinemait> Lady Morelos, Ambassador Induriel has arrived.
* Induriel bows
<Lady_Morelos> Yes, thank you Huinemait. That will be all.
* Lady_Morelos gestures for Induriel to sit.
<Lady_Morelos> Be welcome here, Induriel of House Antalanon.
<Induriel> Thank you, Lady Morelos
* Induriel approaches the table with the book in hand
<Lady_Morelos> Is that for me?
* Induriel nods
<Induriel> You tasked me with obtaining it for you, my lady. I have done so.
* Induriel does not sound happy
* lan_phone (uid135102@id-135102.brockwell.irccloud.com) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
<Induriel> I hope and trust that this satisfies our agreement - the boon you required of me.
<Lady_Morelos> Possibly.
* Lady_Morelos reaches out to take the book.
* Induriel hands it over to her
* Lady_Morelos flips idly through the book.
<Lady_Morelos> How did you come by this?
<Induriel> I obtained it from Heri Mamitu's own library, as you specified.
* Lady_Morelos nods.
<Lady_Morelos> By her leave?
* Induriel raises an eyebrow
<Induriel> Does it matter, your ladyship?
<Lady_Morelos> Significantly.
<Induriel> How so?
<Lady_Morelos> That is between us monarchs, dear boy. Now answer the question.
<Induriel> Then yes. I asked it of her as a favour for my past services, and she granted it.
* Lady_Morelos smiles.
<Lady_Morelos> That wasn't so difficult, now was it?
<Induriel> No indeed, my lady. You are a mistress whom it is a pleasure to serve.
* Induriel says, perhaps being more diplomatic than sincere.
<Induriel> I confess, I wondered at your interest in it.
* Lady_Morelos chuckles.
<Lady_Morelos> Few of my servants would agree with you, I think, but you speak pretty enough.
<Lady_Morelos> My interest is largely sentimental, if you must know. The author was...a friend.
<Induriel> I see. Then you are satisfied, and my boon to you has been performed.
* Lady_Morelos nods.
* Induriel bows
<Lady_Morelos> Your boon, yes, though information is still owed, on an ongoing basis, much as your working has had an ongoing effect on my people and lands.
<Induriel> As you say, my lady.
<Lady_Morelos> Tea?
<Induriel> Thank you, my lady.
* Induriel nods and joins her.
* Lady_Morelos will pour tea for Induriel. It's a fine tea, like you'd get back home in Aethrennar.
<Lady_Morelos> Tell me about Siru Lalu.
* Induriel looks grim
<Induriel> There was an attempt on her life.
<Lady_Morelos> Oh?
<Induriel> (Sorry, looking it up... which log number was it? :P )
<May> I think the one before last?
<Lady_Morelos> (Should only be like two session ago or so?)
<May> (Sorry, ww)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yeah, session 33)
<Induriel> As she was returning to the city after her victory, an assassin came aboard her flagship and attacked.
<Lady_Morelos> How dreadful. I trust she was uninjured?
<Induriel> Thankfully, yes. The attempt was unsuccessful.
<Induriel> She was ably defended by those who were with her.
<Lady_Morelos> The assassin was duly punished, I hope.
<Induriel> The assassin was killed.
<Lady_Morelos> that's all?
<Induriel> It was fortunate enough to be slain in its attempt, before it could be taken for questioning.
* Induriel watches Lady Morelos carefully for her reaction
<Lady_Morelos> I should think questions could be asked of its spirit.
<Lady_Morelos> Should questions need answers.
<Induriel> A worthy suggestion, my lady.
* Lady_Morelos nods graciously.
<Lady_Morelos> News is good, but that was not the intent of my question.
<Lady_Morelos> What is the lady of Nesu Abamatu like?
<Lady_Morelos> What are her intentions for the city?
<Induriel> Well, she is young. Very intelligent.
* Induriel says with some pride in his student
<Induriel> She wishes to be a good ruler, and bring prosperity to Nesu Abamatu.
<Lady_Morelos> To Nesu Abamatu, or House Lalu?
<Induriel> To both, I suppose - would you not consider them the same?
<Lady_Morelos> Altruism among the Turathi is as rare as hen's teeth. I've seen few enough who cared for their subjects as more than chattel.
<Induriel> Well, as I say, she is young.
<Induriel> But even so, prosperity of her subjects is not incompatible with her own enlightened self-interest, I should think.
<Lady_Morelos> Truly, the mouthpiece of your queen.
* Lady_Morelos smiles.
<Lady_Morelos> I wonder if you would be so kind as to do me a favor, Lord Antalanon.
<Induriel> My lady?
* Lady_Morelos reaches across the table to grab a small metal box you're positive wasn't there a moment ago. It is made of a green metal you don't recognize, slightly pitted.
<Lady_Morelos> Would you be so kind as to deliver this to Siru Lalu for me? A token of my esteem.
* Induriel eyes it, hesitating
<Induriel> What shall I tell her?
<Lady_Morelos> That I wish her well, one ruler to another, and that this belongs with her people.
* Induriel nods slowly, and reaches out to accept the box
<Lady_Morelos> I must warn you, it is for her alone.
<Induriel> Very well, my lady.
<Lady_Morelos> Thank you.
* Induriel stands and bows
<Lady_Morelos> Always a pleasure, Ambassador.
<Induriel> My lady.
* Induriel bows again, and takes his leave (by waking up?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yes, essentially)
* Induriel looks at the pitted green metal box that has doubtless now replaced the book he fell asleep with
<YOAW_Narrator> It's a small chest, it's edges oddly sharp.
<YOAW_Narrator> (its, rather)
<Induriel> . o O (I will have to test this thoroughly before it gets anywhere near Mamitu...)
<Induriel> . o O (What is Lady Morelos up to?)
<YOAW_Narrator> Roll Awareness
<Induriel> !roll 2d6
* Lan-werk rolls for Induriel: [ 2d6 ] getting [ 6 2 ] for a total of [ 8 ].
<YOAW_Narrator> The box doesn't seem to radiate any sort of magical aura. It's almost a negative space to your magical senses.
<Induriel> (Can I do some sort of external divination magic to figure out what it is, or what's inside it?)
<Induriel> (Like, not trying to see inside it directly, but maybe seeing what will happen in the future if it's opened?)
<YOAW_Narrator> That's difficult, but you could try. Roll Will (Rituals).
<Induriel> !roll 9d6
* Lan-werk rolls for Induriel: [ 9d6 ] getting [ 2 1 1 4 1 4 1 5 5 ] for a total of [ 24 ].
<Induriel> (Bah! Still 20)
<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, roll me Will again.
<YOAW_Narrator> Just Will.
<Induriel> !roll 5d6
* Lan-werk rolls for Induriel: [ 5d6 ] getting [ 2 2 2 4 4 ] for a total of [ 14 ].
<YOAW_Narrator> (brb)
<Induriel> (Dammit.)
<Induriel> (About the low roll, I mean.)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Back, sorry)
<Induriel> (np)
<Induriel> (I rolled poorly. :'( )
<YOAW_Narrator> You see a vision of May with the box, tentatively opening it. There is a bright flash and an agonizing pain, you smell brimstone, and you no longer see anything.
<Induriel> :O
<Induriel> (Like, I'm physically blinded? :O )
<Induriel> (Or is that simply the end of the vision?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yes, you currently can't see)
<Induriel> (I'm still conscious, then?)
<YOAW_Narrator> It'll take a moment to come back to yourself, and you'll probably hear someone enter the room.
* Mifflepon (webchat@9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Mifflepon> Lord Antalanon!
* Induriel looks up without seeing
<Induriel> Mifflepon.
<YOAW_Narrator> You feel small hands trying to steady you as you pick yourself up from the floor.
<Induriel> (Am I still holding the box?)
<YOAW_Narrator> You are not.
<Mifflepon> My lord, your eyes...
<Mifflepon> What happened?
<Induriel> Mifflepon, do you see a box? Do not open it if so!
<Mifflepon> Yes, my lord. Here on the ground near you.
* Mifflepon will guide your hand to the box.
* Induriel breathes a sigh of relief.
<Induriel> We must put this somewhere safe.
<Mifflepon> Of course, my lord.
<Induriel> But what about my eyes?
<Mifflepon> They are...black.
<Mifflepon> With veins of red.
<Mifflepon> You are bleeding, or were.
* Mifflepon dabs at the edges of your eyes.
* Induriel reaches up gingerly with his other hand to touch his own face.
<Induriel> ...
<Induriel> I see.
* Induriel suddenly laughs at the irony
<Induriel> Ah, forgive me. I am... not quite myself.
<Induriel> Put this box somewhere safe - lock it in a chest.
<Induriel> And then, take me to Mamitu.
<Induriel> Or, no, to Sahhiru first.
* Mifflepon will get you situated reasonably comfortably, then go to put the box away.
* Mifflepon returns shortly to take you to Sahhiru.
* Huinemait is now known as Sahhiru
* Induriel insists on holding the key to the chest himself

A blinded Induriel goes to Saḫḫiru and May


<Sahhiru> Induriel!
* Sahhiru shouts when he sees you.
<Sahhiru> By the Nine, what happened?
* Sahhiru guides you to a seat.
* Induriel feels for the seat and sits down
* Sahhiru seems to be examining you.
<Induriel> I have given the Kirku Ilutu to Lady Morelos. In return, she gave me a pitted green metal box to present to Mamitu.
<Induriel> She warned me it was for Mamitu only. So I did not open it.
<Sahhiru> Mifflepon, go get Mamitu, Temu, and Kalu.
<Sahhiru> Tell them to wait outside until I ask for them.
<Induriel> However, naturally, I wished to ensure it was not dangerous. So I attempted to see what would happen in the future if Mamitu opened it.
<Induriel> This was the result.
<Sahhiru> Induriel...
* Sahhiru cups Induriel's cheek.
<Sahhiru> That was...noble of you.
* Induriel leans into his hand
* Induriel smiles
* Sahhiru stands and kisses Induriel's forehead.
<Induriel> You know I would never put her in danger. Either of you.
<Sahhiru> Foolish, but noble.
* Sahhiru you can hear the smile in his voice at that.
<Sahhiru> We'll heal this, I'm sure.
<Induriel> I perhaps had too much confidence in my own abilities.
<Sahhiru> A pitfall of being so talented.
* Induriel sighs
<Sahhiru> Tell me about this box.
<Induriel> I have had Mifflepon secure it for now. It is a pitted green metal box, about so big...
* Induriel gestures with his hands
<Sahhiru> Pitted green metal...
<Sahhiru> Hmm.
<Induriel> WIth sharp edges.
<Induriel> She said it was a token of her esteem, and asked me to bring it to Mamitu.
<Sahhiru> Did she say anything else about it?
<Induriel> She said to say that she wishes Mamitu well, one ruler to another, and that this gift belongs "with her people".
<Induriel> She warned me that it was for Mamitu alone.
* May will come running down the hall and probably smack her horns on the doorframe in her haste do get in.
<May> Ow! Induriel! What happened!
* Induriel looks up at the noise
<Sahhiru> May! Be careful.
* May will look at his eyes and gasp.
<Induriel> Ah, mixed success, I'm afraid.
<Induriel> This was not the Lady's doing. Well, not directly...
* Induriel summarizes what happened.
<Sahhiru> An unfortunate incident, to say the least.
<Sahhiru> Induriel, this happened immediately upon seeing May open the box in your vision?
<Induriel> Better me than Mamitu!
<May> Don't say that. We'll get you healed. We'll fix this.
<May> It's possible the box was magically trapped against scrying.
* Sahhiru frowns, but Induriel can't see that.
<Induriel> Yes - I saw her opening the box slowly and carefully, and then there was a bright flash and pain, with the smell of brimstone.
<May> brimstone...
<Sahhiru> Brimstone, and a green metal box.
<Induriel> So my scrying did succeed in part.
<May> (Does that mean anything magically significant to me?)
<Sahhiru> (Roll Knowledge)
<May> (Education specialty?)
<Induriel> If it was not trapped against scrying, then whatever is in that box was powerful enough to affect me even through a vision.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yeah, I'd count that)
<May> !roll 6d6
* Lan-werk rolls for May: [ 6d6 ] getting [ 6 4 3 6 2 1 ] for a total of [ 22 ].
<May> 21
<Induriel> I took her warning seriously, of course - but I never imagined it would work across a vision...
* Induriel is babbling a bit...
<May> It's ok... just try to relax. You did very well, Istyar.
* May will ask a servant to bring wine for him.
<YOAW_Narrator> What Induriel describes sounds like the box is made of a substance referred to as "green steel" by the Turathi. It's a subtance from the Nine Hells and is occasionally used for the armor or weapons of some devils (gods for you. :p).
* Sahhiru will keep a reassuring hand on Induriel's shoulder, at least.
* Induriel will reach up and keep one hand on that hand. :P
<May> (What properties does it have?)
<YOAW_Narrator> Green steel, among other things, has some inherent anti-magic properties, and reacts oddly with the mortal realm.
* May will look at Sahirru.
<May> The box sounds like green steel. I don't think that could have caused this, but it isn't a veryy stable substance in this realm.
* Sahhiru nods.
<May> So it's possible, I suppose.
<Sahhiru> I would imagine its contents caused this.
<May> Yes.
<Sahhiru> Something powerful, and divine.
<May> I want very much to know what those contents are.
* Sahhiru sighs.
<Sahhiru> I do as well.
<Induriel> But surely it is dangerous!
<Sahhiru> Undoubtedly.
<May> But also powerful.
<Sahhiru> But May is of the blood.
<May> The blood? Lalu blood?
<May> Or... oh. Yes.
<Sahhiru> Baatezu blood. The blood of the gods.
<May> Of course.
<Induriel> She did say it was for you alone.
<Induriel> But I still do not trust it. She was asking about you, what you were like...
<May> What did she want to know?
<Induriel> What you are like, what your intentions are for the city.
<Induriel> I said that you are young and intelligent, and that you want the city to prosper.
* May smiles.
<May> Where is the box now?
<Induriel> Locked in a chest in my apartments. I have the key.
* May nods.
* May realizes that Induriel can't see her nod.
<May> Good.
<May> May I have the key?
<Induriel> Mamitu, I do not want to expose you to this danger! Let us at least find out whether the damage can be undone first...
<Induriel> What could it be?
<May> I will not open the box until we know more. I promise. But I don't want anyone else to do so either.
* Induriel purses his lips
<Induriel> You promise?
<May> I give you my word.
* Sahhiru frowns.
* Induriel slowly takes the key out of his pocket
* May will gently take it from him if he allows her.
* Induriel holds on to it for a second
<Induriel> Not until we know *everything
* about it, mind.
* Sahhiru squeezes Induriel's shoulder.
<May> Not until we know *enough
* about it.
<Induriel> Obviously we must assume malevolent intent, until proven otherwise.
<May> Of course. I will be careful.
* Induriel reluctantly lets her take the key.
<Sahhiru> Now, let's get the healers in to see you.
* Induriel nods
<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, we'll leave off there for now. :)
<YOAW_Narrator> Julie or Heather, do y'all have a preference for who goes next?
<Laris> doesn't matter to me
* May will have the chest moved to our most secure room and work on putting up some magical barriers to entry on it for now.

Laris and Kraaz plan for a stronger alliance through cross-training programs


<YOAW_Narrator> It's been a few weeks, and repairs to the fort continue apace. Rufus's undead are helping speed the process, and you've had little enough trouble from an Osoro loyalists. Kraaz has taken to having a base of sorts to work from, leading sorties out and coming back to rest at the fort every few days.
<YOAW_Narrator> Dianthea has spent more time with Ulkash, trying to learn more of the Kai Do Arat.
* Sahhiru is now known as Kraaz
* Kraaz will speak to Laris at some point, observing the repairs to the fort.
<Kraaz> It's amazing what your...people can accomplish in so short a time.
<Laris> They don't need to rest in the same way as the living.
<Laris> How was your latest excursion, Hraal Kraaz?
<Kraaz> Quiet enough. Rode out to the Nernehta lands, knocked some heads.
<Laris> but quiet knocking? :)
<Kraaz> Well, they're so small. It doesn't make a lot of noise. :)
<Kraaz> Things seem to be going well here. Strong bones, as it were.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Yes, I think this will be a good stronghold once the repairs are completed.
<Kraaz> It's been useful, too. Less need for our own guards, safer place for our wounded, what few there are. We can rest easier, too.
<Kraaz> Almost makes me want one of my own.
<Laris> oh?
<Laris> I didn't think your people had much call for permanent fortifications. But I'm glad you're finding it useful. Of course you and your troops are welcome here.
<Kraaz> Yeah, it's better this way. We get the benefit, and you get the headache of running it.
* Kraaz grins.
* Laris smiles at that.
<Kraaz> If we tried to do this, we'd need thralls, and people to mind the thralls, and...it would change us.
<Laris> It would certainly be a change.
<Kraaz> Our strength comes from our freedom. This ties you down, though it has its own strength.
<Kraaz> Good thing we made friends with those who have them, eh?
* Kraaz smacks a wall for emphasis.
<Laris> There is strength in stability. But I value your ability to move quickly and change your course as required by the currents of fortune.
<Kraaz> This alliance is better for the both of our peoples.
<Kraaz> Maybe we can encourage that.
<Laris> oh?
<Laris> what did you have in mind?
<Kraaz> Have some of your folks ride with us. Some of us stay and learn with you. Like Ankai Kuret Faasha is doing with Korivan.
<Kraaz> We're already getting more used to working with your troops.
<Kraaz> We'll coordinate better the more we understand each other. I already see it with the Katalal.
* Laris considers that.
<Laris> It's an interesting proposal. It might have considerable benefits for each of our forces.
<Laris> Varinia would be the best person to have weigh in on this - she would know which troops would be well-suited for such a plan.
* Kraaz smiles.
<Kraaz> Always happy to speak with her.
<Kraaz> Almost Hrieffen, that one.
<Laris> how so?
<Kraaz> This is one of those things where you keep your distance, isn't it?
<Kraaz> Like, she's your battle companion, but you two never fucked, did you?
* Laris clears his throat.
<Kraaz> Well, haven't, I guess. Never say never.
<Kraaz> Your people have a long time to live.
<Laris> I've served alongside her for longer than you've been alive. We have a strong bond of loyalty and friendship. But not in that particular area, no.
<Laris> I don't think we would be suited to one another.
<Laris> But any perceived distance between us is based on professional courtesy, not on ignorance of one anothers' lives. It's hard to avoid knowing some things about one another after this length of time.
<Kraaz> Why not? You don't like [goblin word for people with female-presenting genitalia]?
<Kraaz> [feminine coded, rather]
<Kraaz> (You know what I mean)
<Laris> No, I... hm. It isn't that.
<Kraaz> Right, because you're 'married' to a [same word].
<Laris> It doesn't have to do with her, uh, configuration, more with her temperament, and mine.
* Kraaz nods.
<Kraaz> Well, that's a smart reason, I guess, but you're missing out.
<Kraaz> She's happy to share that sort of connection, with those of the right temperament, I guess.
<Laris> I don't think I'm assertive enough - or she's more assertive than I would prefer, or both. But I feel like perhaps we're getting slightly off track here... >.>
<Kraaz> Oh, you're a bottom?
<Laris> mmm.
* Laris is very absorbed in the masonry.
<Kraaz> I know types like that. I like it both, well, all ways.
<Kraaz> To each their own, Lugal.
<Laris> Yes, certainly.
<Laris> In any case, I can consult with Varinia to determine some suitable troops who could benefit from traveling with your people for a time.
* Kraaz smiles.
<Kraaz> Sounds good.
<Laris> If you have some you would recommmend for a corresponding trade, I'm glad to accept.
<Kraaz> I have some in mind, but I'll talk with my people, too.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Very well.
<Kraaz> Sounds good. Grub?
<Laris> Certainly.
* Laris will have grub ;)

Bane shows Korivan a vision of a goblinoid city and tells him that this is their goal


<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, so, you can make your way back to the Hrieffen sacred lands with your new loot and sacrifices.
* Korivan is glad to get away from that fort
<YOAW_Narrator> While it's not the end of the raiding season, obviously sacrifices are in order for your victories.
* Korivan can get things organized for the necessary rites
<YOAW_Narrator> Preparations will take a day or so, with fasting, drugs, and a lot of chanting for Korivan.
<Korivan> (yup)
<Korivan> (sec hota let beans out real quick)
<YOAW_Narrator> (kk)
<Korivan> (back)
<YOAW_Narrator> As you reach the zenith of the ritual, you find yourself pulled beyond your mortal body, a sensation that will somehow never be familiar however many times it happens to you.
<Korivan> (so many times)
<Korivan> (was this expected or not?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (It's unusual for a celebratory rite)
<Korivan> (okay goody)
<Korivan> (and where am I pulled to?)
<YOAW_Narrator> You find yourself in an unfamiliar city (in this case meaning not Nesu Abamatu, as that's the only city you know). Like NA, it stretches along a river, ships and boats of strangely familiar construction plying its waters. Around you, a busy river-side marketplace hums with activity, gaaburrim of all kinds and ages going about their business: merchants hawking wares, fisherfolk carrying their catch, children playing underfoot.
<YOAW_Narrator> Across from you, you notice a familiar hobgoblin soldier sitting on a crate, polishing his helmet. A shadar-kai woman stands just behind and to his side.
* Kraaz is now known as Hobgoblin
* Mifflepon is now known as Shadar-Kai
<Korivan> (Familiar in a specific way?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (You saw him in your last vision.)
<Hobgoblin> Well met, Gaath Hrieffen Eryvet Korivan.
<Hobgoblin> And well done, at least as a start.
<Korivan> Lord Bane...
* Hobgoblin smiles.
* Hobgoblin stands and places his helmet upon his head.
<Hobgoblin> Walk with me.
* Korivan nods and will do so
* Hobgoblin will start strolling along the river.
<Korivan> What is this place? @_@
* Shadar-Kai follows a little ways behind.
<Hobgoblin> A future. One I hope to bring to pass.
<Korivan> (Is that the Raven Queen? Thats' the Raven Queen isn't it >.>)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Well, he hasn't said anything about her yet)
<Korivan> Yes...
<Hobgoblin> Tell me, what do you see?
* Korivan considers
<Korivan> A city.... of our own. Change. A different strength...
* Hobgoblin nods.
<Hobgoblin> Good.
<Hobgoblin> And not a different strength.
<Hobgoblin> An evolution of that strength.
<Korivan> Hmm...
* Hobgoblin points out a few things.
<YOAW_Narrator> In the distance, under the tall and broad walls of the city, you see youths on horseback, playing at the same sort of games your own people do to test their horsemanship. As you watch, one goes leaping off their horse, tackling another youth off theirs, and they both crash to the ground and come up wrestling and laughing.
* Korivan will pay as close attention as he can manage (though I assume it is easier when I'm pulled out of body like this)
<Korivan> I see @_@
<YOAW_Narrator> Nearby, an older bugbear sits on a step, instructing several goblins (of various kinds) in proper spear technique.
<YOAW_Narrator> Not far, a young hobgoblin is painting warding signs above a doorway, their form the same as many you use now.
<Hobgoblin> They remember the old ways, and lead the new.
<Korivan> Good...
<Korivan> How do we achieve this vision?
<Hobgoblin> Build it.
<Hobgoblin> Unite your people under my banner.
<Hobgoblin> Learn from your allies, as I called upon an ally to show you this.
* Korivan nod, brow furrowed in thought
* Hobgoblin nods towards the Shadar-kai.
* Korivan glances at her
<Shadar-Kai> I am my lady's humble servant, Lord Bane.
<Korivan> Hmm.
<Hobgoblin> Be careful, however.
<Hobgoblin> Your allies can teach you much, but they are not mine.
<Hobgoblin> It is a difficult path you must forge.
<Hobgoblin> But you have taken your first steps.
<Korivan> I will move us...forward.
<Hobgoblin> Good soldier.
<Korivan> Where is this place?
<Hobgoblin> And land you do not know, and will never know, one that has not been made yet. With your guidance, and your successors', your people will find and name it "Nachtur."
<YOAW_Narrator> (Which, if I recall, is basically goblin for "Our Place," or something similar.)
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> We will.
* Hobgoblin smiles.
* Hobgoblin will clap Korivan on the shoulder, and Korivan will find himself back in the ritual space, the hum of the city echoing for a few moments in his ears.
<YOAW_Narrator> Korivan will find he has a black hand print on his shoulder where Bane touched him.
<Korivan> (Like a burn/tatto?)
<Korivan> @_@
<YOAW_Narrator> More like a tattoo, I suppose, but it won't fade.
<Korivan> (right, a permanent mark, anyway)
<YOAW_Narrator> Yes
<Korivan> Bane has given me a vision @_@
* Lady_Morelos is now known as Halgalaz
<Halgalaz> Gaath?
* Halgalaz will offer you water.
<Korivan> A city.... Nactur... for all Gaburrim, under His banner @_@
* Halgalaz frowns.
<Halgalaz> A city?
<Korivan> (Nachtur)
<Korivan> New strength for the old ways @_@
<Halgalaz> As you say, Gaath Korivan.
* Korivan nods, and will take that water now
* Korivan will touch the mark on his shoulder
* Korivan will let her take care of him, anyway :x

Solos

Laris and Dianthea have dinner and discuss the Kai Do Arat


* Dianthea will likely be at dinner before Laris. He is presumably a bit busier with fort repair, troop drills, etc.
* Laris will arrive and apologize for being late.
* Dianthea smiles.
<Dianthea> It's not like we have a set time.
<Dianthea> Sit, get some food in you.
* Dianthea will pour Laris some wine.
<Laris> Thank you.
* Dianthea will have a scroll, ink and pen, writing things down while idly nibbling on some olives.
<Laris> The repairs are proceeding well, although they often need to seek my counsel on various matters.
<Dianthea> Well, good thing the Lalu forces are still available. We don't have an architect or engineer on staff.
* Laris nods
<Dianthea> Though I suppose we could send to Thantopolis for someone.
<Laris> Perhaps, although I'm hopeful we can get the majority of the repairs done before the end of the season. But if further changes or expansions are needed, it might be worthwhile.
<Dianthea> Well, I mean, it does seem like it behooves us to reinforce this place.
* Laris nods
<Dianthea> I'm no military mind, but...
* Dianthea shrugs.
<Dianthea> We can't rely solely on the Kai Do Arat. Or the rest of the Kai Do Arat, I suppose.
<Laris> Right now I'll be content with blocking the holes in the walls and making sure nothing is going to collapse. Further reinforcements would be desirable after that.
* Dianthea smiles.
<Dianthea> Rufus is jealous of our lack of need for sleep right now, I can tell you that.
* Laris smiles a little at that.
<Dianthea> He trusts his people, but he still hates leaving things to subordinates.
<Laris> We should make sure he gets some rest.
<Dianthea> Already asleep, at my urging. :)
<Laris> Good.
<Laris> How has your day been? I see you're making some notes.
<Dianthea> Just trying to get things down before I forget. There's so much to learn from Ulkash and the others.
<Dianthea> Granted, most of it isn't Arth-shattering like some things she's told us, but still interesting.
<Laris> What sorts of things have you gleaned from them?
<Dianthea> Oh, loads. Bits of language that have fallen out of use, tactics and weapons they used to use, stories about the sorrowsworn...all kind of things.
* Laris looks interested
<Dianthea> I knew the sorrowsworn predated the Queen's reign, but did you know they predate...her predecessor's, too?
<Dianthea> They may in fact be the original inhabitants of the Shadowfell.
<Laris> No, I didn't.
<Dianthea> Like angels to the Astral Sea, or elementals to the Chaos.
<Dianthea> It's fascinating.
<Laris> Hm. Interesting.
<Dianthea> It's all cloaked in Kai Do Arat traditions and such, but Ulkash and her people like sharing them. At least with us, now.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I would like to have more time to talk with them... I suppose things won't always be as busy as this.
* Dianthea smiles.
<Dianthea> I should hope not.
<Laris> I'm glad that you're here to be able to mediate somewhat, and that they are willing to talk with you.
<Dianthea> This is more your area of expertise anyway.
<Dianthea> The fort, I mean.
<Dianthea> Pacifying new lands, all that.
<Dianthea> And talking to the long dead is something of a specialty of mine. :)
* Laris smiles at that
<Laris> I imagine they are a bit different than your usual... subjects, though.
<Dianthea> Actually, yes.
<Dianthea> Far more cogent than I would have thought.
<Dianthea> I'm not sure they're ghosts, per se.
<Dianthea> Closer to, ah, petitioners.
<Dianthea> The chosen.
<Dianthea> Choose your nomenclature.
<Laris> They did seem very, hm, aware of current matters? Perhaps a bit out of touch but not completely disconnected from the present day.
<YOAW_Narrator> (brb, sorry)
<Laris> (kk)
<Dianthea> Yes, exactly. They're very, hmm, focused, but not completely out of touch. I had clients in Thantopolis who didn't think we'd joined Turath yet.
* Laris gives a faint laugh at that.
<Dianthea> Ulkash isn't particularly aware of the outside world, but she's not senile or anything.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I don't imagine she gets out much... But she seems completely coherent.
<Dianthea> I'd like to see how far she's tethered, if at all.
<Dianthea> Maybe a trip back to Nesu Abamatu sometime, or maybe the villa first. I don't think the Kai Do Arat have seen a city before.
<Laris> She seemed to indicate that she would be able to manifest where I was. I don't know if that means *anywhere
* I go, but it would be useful to find out.
<Laris> Certainly once matters are under control here, it would be good to go home and see what troubles have arisen there while we've been away.
* Laris says with a slight smile
<Dianthea> Hopefully little enough.
<Dianthea> But, yes.
<Dianthea> Not that this place doesn't have a sort of rustic charm.
* Dianthea smiles.
<Laris> We can make it more ... comfortable.
<Dianthea> Oh?
* Dianthea grins.
<Laris> I know that it isn't quite like the villa, but I do expect we'll need to spend time here, so I'd like it to be ... at least somewhat pleasant for you.
* lan_phone (uid135102@id-135102.brockwell.irccloud.com) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
<Dianthea> Well, I was thinking we might put in a proper chapel at some point.
* Laris nods
<Dianthea> Maybe with a small sacred grove.
<Dianthea> But that's down the line.
<Dianthea> We can afford to wait.
<Laris> I was thinking more along the lines of more comfortable bedrooms, maybe a library, but you make good points.
<Dianthea> Perhaps a, ahem, recreation room for you?
* Dianthea smugly does not smile at that.
<Laris> mmm... that would be... yes. I would like that >.>
* Laris says, covering his embarassment with a drink of wine.
<Dianthea> This is a more secure point in the long term, however much I love the villa.
<Dianthea> That's a home, this is a castle. Or it will be.
* Laris nods
<Laris> It's good to have both options. The villa is home, as you say, but it isn't easily defensible, if the situation necessitated it.
<Dianthea> Well, it's more defensible than most points around here.
<Dianthea> Didn't Kraaz mention something about wishing he had something like this?
<Laris> Yes. But also that he was content to make use of his allies' fortresses rather than having to go to the work of maintaining them himself.
* Laris says with a slight smile.
<Dianthea> Can't fault him there.
<Dianthea> I doubt the Hrieffen have the resources to build and maintain one of these right now.
<Dianthea> House Corvis, on the other hand...
* Dianthea smiles.
<Laris> We have the resources, yes. We should put them to use.
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> On the note of the Hrieffen, I believe I'll need to talk to Gaath Korivan again at some point regarding the Kai Do Arat.
<Laris> Oh?
<Dianthea> There's...something I'd like to try.
<Laris> What is that?
<Dianthea> Possession. I think Korivan would have particular insight.
<Laris> Possession of who?
* Laris asks cautiously.
<Dianthea> Oh, me, of course.
* Laris looks concerned
<Dianthea> It's not an unheard of practice back home, you know.
<Dianthea> I've seen it done, but I've never undergone it myself.
<Laris> No, I know, but it seems ... risky? I don't know. What do you think the benefits would be?
<Dianthea> To me? Mostly experiental. For the Kai Do Arat, it's a good anchor in the present.
<Dianthea> It's not permanent, if that's your concern.
<Laris> Oh... no, I didn't think it would be. I just wasn't sure what it might entail. But I defer to your judgment on matters of this sort, it's certainly something you know more about than I do.
<Dianthea> It might offer some other benefits, as well, regarding the distance they're able to travel and the like.
<Dianthea> But that will need some testing.
<Laris> If you think it would be helpful or informative, then certainly, I'm glad to assist however I can.
* Dianthea smiles.
<Dianthea> It's a little ways down the road, at the very least. There's still plenty to learn just talking to them.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Gaath Korivan would probably be a good person to talk to, as you say, and he's currently occupied elsewhere.
* Dianthea nods.
<Dianthea> I get the impression there will be another gathering in Nesu Abamatu when everything is settled.
<Dianthea> I can talk to him then.
<Laris> Yes, I think that's the aim. We will need to confer about our next steps, and of course there should be some sort of celebration.
<Laris> Who knows, perhaps a betrothal...
* Laris says with a slight shrug
<Dianthea> You think?
<Laris> Ah, I don't know. I might be getting ahead of things.
<Dianthea> It's still a balancing act for May.
<Laris> It would be nice to have that settled, but I don't know if Mamitu has made any decision on that matter. I know there are many factors to be considered.
<Dianthea> If she's not married or betrothed, she can play us factions off each other. If she does get married, she secures a specific alliance.
* Dianthea shrugs.
<Laris> Yes.. it's too bad her parents didn't plan all of this when she was a child ;)
* Laris says with a wry smile.
* Dianthea laughs.
<Dianthea> Well, I feel like it's worked out well enough for us.
* Dianthea smiles.
* Laris reaches over the table to take her hand.
* Dianthea reaches out to reciprocate.
<Laris> I have been very fortunate.
<Dianthea> Fate has blessed us.
* Laris smiles
<Laris> I don't wish to tear you away from your notes, but perhaps if you've had enough to eat, we might retire for a time. To, ah, celebrate those blessings.
* Dianthea grins.
<Dianthea> Oh, I think this can wait.
* Dianthea will stand and lead the way to go do that.