Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session 32

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session logs
Previous Session 32 Next

Summary

Induriel consults with Saḫḫiru over what's happening with the Gloaming Court and Lady Morrow. Severina tries to give Eyllia a pep talk. Korivan consults with Bane regarding the Hrammun. Ulkash tells Laris what his new duty is.

Session

Session date: 2019-03-31
In Game date: following directly on the last session

Induriel spills all to Saḫḫiru


* Induriel goes looking for Sahhiru!
* Sahhiru is presumably in his office/chambers.
* Sahhiru actually lives relatively austerely, so they're not large.
* Induriel knocks on the door...
<Sahhiru> Come in.
* Induriel enters
* Sahhiru will looks up from the scroll he's writing on and smile.
* Induriel smiles back
<Induriel> Hello there.
<Sahhiru> Ah, Induriel. To what do I owe the pleasure?
<Induriel> Well, since everyone else is away, I thought we could spend some time together.
* Induriel comes over and hugs Sahhiru, then sighs and steps back
<Induriel> Before that, though: there is something I need to discuss with you.
<Sahhiru> Oh?
* Sahhiru gestures for Induriel to have a seat.
* Induriel sits
<Induriel> I was actually hoping to talk to both you and May about this at the same time; but as she is not here...
<Sahhiru> Well, she is otherwise occupied.
<Sahhiru> What's wrong?
<Induriel> It has to do with the battle against Kepeskmiiriv.
* Sahhiru frowns.
<Sahhiru> That's been some time now.
<Induriel> As you may remember, I helped to dissipate the dragon's essence. I did so by dispersing it into the Feywild, where I expected it to be absorbed without further trouble.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Induriel> That certainly worked; but unfortunately, it did not go unnoticed by the powers that reside there.
<Sahhiru> Not entirely unexpected, I would think.
<Sahhiru> I assume they took offense?
<Sahhiru> Or at least feigned it?
<Induriel> Yes. Some time later... about a week, I think? I was taken in my dreams to answer for it to the court of Lady Morelos.
<Induriel> She expressed great anger, and demanded recompense.
<Sahhiru> It's been some time since I familiarized myself with the Court of Stars. Morelos is...a hag? Of the Gloaming Court?
<Induriel> Yes, that's correct.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Induriel> She offered to pardon the offense if I would bring her up to speed on events in the waking world... and an unspecified boon.
<Sahhiru> Hmm.
<Induriel> Recently, she specified the boon.
* Sahhiru raises an eyebrow.
<Induriel> She wishes for me to obtain Mamitu's copy of the Kirku Ilutu for her.
<Sahhiru> 'The Scroll of the Gods'?
<Induriel> Yes.
<Sahhiru> That's an unusual request.
<Sahhiru> I wouldn't think Lady Morelos could even make use of such.
<Induriel> Yes. As far as I know it's rare, but not particularly important.
<Induriel> She seems to expect me to steal it, and I think that may simply be a test.
<Sahhiru> Well, since you came to me with this, I hardly think you need to steal it.
<Induriel> Of course not! I may *ask
* you and Mamitu to let me take it, if we determine it is the best course of action.
<Sahhiru> It's rare, and Apis was a reasonably gifted writer and scholar, but I'd rather avoid any incidents. We can surely spare it.
<Sahhiru> We could also have a copy made, if necessary.
* Sahhiru sighs.
<Induriel> Yes. She specified that she wanted the original copy, so it would probably be best to give her that. If we give it. I expect she has ways of telling...
* Sahhiru nods.
<Induriel> Anyway, before we get as far as that: I wanted to be sure that I'm not missing anything about the book's significance.
<Sahhiru> I assumed. I meant for us to keep the copy, for Mamitu's library if for no other reason.
<Induriel> Yes, she would not give up any book easily. I know that as well as anyone!
<Sahhiru> As to its significance...
* Sahhiru shrugs.
<Sahhiru> I don't recall it being particularly important a work.
<Sahhiru> Little more than a primer, honestly, and a roll of names.
<Induriel> It was written by the philosopher Tiabu Apis, who was part of the expeditionary force that originally claimed this area for Turath. Is that important?
<Induriel> Also, one of the names it lists is that of the demon Eraklyosh. There may be something there.
* Sahhiru makes a face somewhere between anger and disgust, but it passes quickly.
<Sahhiru> I should hope not, but it is a concern.
<Induriel> What is it?
<Sahhiru> Demons.
<Induriel> Nothing in particular about that one, though?
<Sahhiru> I would doubt he has any further significance, no.
<Sahhiru> His power is dispersed, and his essence likely devoured at this point.
<Induriel> ...
<Sahhiru> The Tanar'i have little mercy for the weak.
<Induriel> Not dispersed into the Feywild like certain dragons, I trust.
<Sahhiru> No, nothing like that. You were present.
<Sahhiru> His connection to Arth was broken.
<Sahhiru> We sent him back to the Abyss, and I doubt he long survived the journey.
* Sahhiru smiles a predatory smile at that.
<Induriel> Well then, this may indeed simply be a test. And an attempt to get me to incriminate myself, with the aim of extorting me into further acts later.
<Induriel> If so, it could be instructive to see what those later acts she asks for are.
<Sahhiru> I had hoped we'd have more time before needing to deal with our planar connections here, but I suppose I can take solace in that it is you upon whom it has fallen.
<Sahhiru> I'm sorry you're having to treat with the Lady Morelos, but you are more versed in the ways of the fae than I.
<Induriel> I can't say I'm delighted about it; but yes, better me than another.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Sahhiru> Once again, I find myself glad your Queen sent you to us.
* Induriel smiles back
<Induriel> So am I.
<Induriel> Anyway: I have asked Valtheriel to look into the book, just to be sure.
<Sahhiru> A reasonable course of action.
<Induriel> If she finds nothing threatening, then it seems to me that the next step is to bring this up with Mamitu herself, and decide what to do.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Induriel> If we agree that it's worth letting the hag have the book, I can go ahead and do so.
<Sahhiru> Propitiation would be the most expedient course, though it sets a precedent I mislike.
<Induriel> I can pretend I stole it; or not comment, and let her assume I stole it; or even, if it seems warranted, acknowledge that I took it with Mamitu's permission, and offer it as a gift.
<Induriel> On Mamitu's behalf, I mean.
<Sahhiru> I would prefer the latter, I think.
<Sahhiru> It would give us an opportunity to open relations.
<Sahhiru> Hopefully amicably.
<Induriel> Yes, I thought that might be a good way to approach it.
<Induriel> Then again, if she was planning to use me against Mamitu in some way, it may be better to let her think she has succeeded.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> You're the only one in a position to read that situation.
<Sahhiru> What would you counsel?
<Induriel> I don't know. I agreed to a single boon, but it isn't clear to me whether she expects this to be only the first among many.
<Induriel> I may have to decide only when I present it to her. We should discuss both scenarios, I think.
<Sahhiru> That's reasonable.
<Sahhiru> I trust your judgement in this.
<Sahhiru> And we'll discuss it further when the time comes.
<Induriel> I *hope
* it won't be necessary to refuse her. So far it doesn't seem so, but we may find out something at the last minute.
<Induriel> In which case, well, I will need to take steps to protect myself from her retaliation. :(
<Induriel> ...if I can.
<Sahhiru> I feel certain we can shield you from her wrath, if it becomes necessary.
<Sahhiru> After all, if would be a terrible insult to your Queen should be allow anything untoward to happen to you.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Induriel> Yes, quite! :)
<Induriel> But I, ah, hope there are more personal reasons as well...
* Vess (vess@CPEbc4dfb296af3-CMbc4dfb296af0.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Sahhiru> I would have thought that went without saying, but, yes, I would be most distraught should something ill befall you, Induriel.
<Induriel> Oh, good! This has been most distressing for me - I could use some, ah, *comforting*.
* Sahhiru grins.
<Induriel> And I need to be reminded that a bed can be used for something other than sleeping... ;)
* Vess is now known as Eyllia
* Induriel stands and comes around the desk
<Sahhiru> Well then, allow me to offer you comfort and demonstrate the 'personal reasons' I would prefer you remain here and unharmed.
* Induriel purrs
* Sahhiru will stand and take Induriel's hand to lead him to the adjoined bedchamber.

Severina tries to give Eyllia a pep talk


<YOAW_Narrator> Field repairs are mostly finished by the time you return to the Drake, the ships having mostly taken arrow fire during the fight and nothing more significant.
* Sahhiru is now known as Severina
* Severina , whom you recognize as the captain of Laris's personal archers, approaches you when you arrive.
<Severina> Captain D'Azzure.
* Severina salutes in the Thantopolitan style.
<Eyllia> Yes, Severina?
* Severina is short and stocky for a shadar-kai, making her mostly just wiry. Scars are visible over much of her exposed skin, mostly her arms and legs. Some of it appears intentional, the rest from a lifetime of military service.
<Severina> Mostly just wanted to let you know I was aboard, supervising the archers. We're trying to keep the river watched, make sure there's no raids.
<Severina> You weren't aboard when I came over, so...
<Severina> Belated permission to come aboard, I suppose.
<Eyllia> Permission granted of course.
<Eyllia> Has the river been quiet?
<Severina> More or less. Kraaz is landing some scouts on the far side to screen, but it'll take a while.
<Severina> On a personal note, thanks for having the Legate's back. That was some stunt you all pulled with the ghosts and the fort.
* Eyllia shakes her head
<Eyllia> It was a stunt for sure. I'm glad it ended things quickly.
* Severina nods.
<Severina> Folks are talking about what you did in the other battle, too.
<Severina> Here on your ship and taking down that croc.
<Severina> Hell of a fight, it sounds like.
<Eyllia> This is supposed to be a diplomatic mission, Severina. I didn't come here to fight.
* Eyllia says with a wink
* Severina grins.
<Severina> How did you get saddled with a diplomatic mission?
<Severina> Uh, sir.
* Severina adds perfunctorily.
<Eyllia> Just maintaining good relations with Nēšu Abamātu and thier Domina
<Eyllia> My mother doesn't want our people in conflicts at this time.
* Severina raises an eyebrow at that.
<Eyllia> Its not my fault that we were attacked while escorting the Domina, as a personal favour.
<Eyllia> personally, I'm glad I was here to help.
<Severina> Oh, you meant she didn't want you involved in our conflict with...I get you.
<Severina> Lucky she was with you, then, however unforeseen the consequence.
* Severina smiles.
<Severina> Seems like this suits you.
<Eyllia> That it does.
<Eyllia> Its also good to show what the best of Houses is capable of.
* Severina nods.
<Eyllia> to promote good diplomatic ties
<Severina> I can see that.
<Eyllia> don't you think
* Eyllia looks Severina over to get a feeling of her demeanor from the conversation
<Severina> I mean, I'm not going to dismiss the value of diplomacy, especially when it comes with a sword on our side.
<YOAW_Narrator> (That's...Awareness, if I recall)
<Eyllia> (empathy apply?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yeah, sure)
<Eyllia> !roll 4d6
* Remote is on (Ctcps,Events,Raw)
<Korivan> (try agan)
<Eyllia> !roll 4d6
* Korivan rolls for Eyllia: [ 4d6 ] getting [ 6 5 3 5 ] for a total of [ 19 ].
<Eyllia> (21)
* Severina seems pretty relaxed, though (we'll say you're on the deck) her eyes still scan the water every few seconds. You get the sense she's impressed with what she's heard of you and is genuinely trying to be friendly.
<Severina> You and your ship headed back to the city?
<Eyllia> probably soon
<Severina> What with most of the riverine fighting probably done for now.
<Eyllia> exactly and I don't see the Domina staying for the prolonged scouting and skirmish phase of the season
* Severina chuckles.
<Severina> I wouldn't think so.
<Severina> She's one of the good ones, I think, but this isn't really her space.
<Severina> After that? You stuck making nice in the city?
<Eyllia> I suppose you and the Legate are here for the long run
* Eyllia shrugs
<Severina> I am at that.
<Severina> Someone has to oversee this chimera of an army, and someone's got to watch his back.
<Severina> Well, I guess Rufus will do that bit, too.
<Severina> Uh, Magus Auspex, as it were.
<Eyllia> I was gonna say... I'm quite sure he is already
<Severina> Okay, well, someone needs to be more...dispassionate about it, I guess.
<Severina> Though he's good at his job.
<Severina> I don't mean to give the wrong impression.
<Eyllia> no misimpressions given
<Eyllia> I understand what your doing
<Severina> Hmm?
<Eyllia> about watching the Legate's back. Its good to have somone with a responsibility to protect the ones in charge.
<Severina> Yeah, they've got other things on their mind.
<Severina> You, ah, gonna see Fata Dianthea when you head back?
* Eyllia thinks for a second
<Eyllia> I'm not planning to... unless I'm very unlucky or bored on the trip back, but no it's not my intention.
* Severina nods.
<Severina> Thought that might be the case.
<Severina> I take it Thantopolitan...politics didn't suit you?
<Eyllia> sometimes politics just isnt enough
* Severina smiles at that.
<Severina> I think maybe I was trying to be too clever there.
<Severina> Your people are less free with their affections, I take it.
<Severina> We...almost have to be.
<Eyllia> more like I'm less free
<Severina> That's fair.
<Severina> I hope you don't think too poorly of the Legate and the Fata for their situation.
<Severina> They're doing the best they can.
<Eyllia> It's neither of thier faults... I treated it like a swordfight, since that's what I know best... except the fight was over before I even joined... live and learn
* Severina nods.
<Severina> And fight again another day.
<Severina> Plenty of 'opponents' out there, I'm sure.
<Eyllia> I'm trying to learn how to be more free with my practice partners... its not easy
<Eyllia> always opportunities
<Severina> Being somewhat practiced myself, there's nothing wrong with keeping to one partner.
<Severina> Though I could see how finding that match here might be difficult.
<Severina> Us, the Turathi, the Hrieffen, all the moon-worshippers...not a lot of folks around here cleave one soul to another.
<Eyllia> very true
<Eyllia> maybe I just need to learn to be more open minded
* Eyllia shrugs
<Eyllia> If I get too frustrated, I can always practice solo
* Eyllia giggles
* Severina laughs heartily at that.
<Severina> Well, I'm sure there's plenty around willing to, ah, lend a hand.
<Severina> I should make sure the watches are well set.
<Severina> Good talking to you, Captain.
* Severina will salute, still chuckling to herself, and turn to go.
<Eyllia> and you
* Eyllia will be on her way


Korivan calls on Bane


<YOAW_Narrator> So, Korivan gonna go get *suuuuuper
* high.
<Korivan> (I mean the gods are like way up there, i'ts hrd to reach without help :V)
<YOAW_Narrator> (hee)
<Korivan> (arg sec)
* Korivan will let eople know he is planning to commune with Bane, so not accessible for mundane conversation ;p
<YOAW_Narrator> Faasha and Halgalaz will help with the preparations, then leave him to it. They'll stay relatively close just in case, though.
<Korivan> (Baclk. ANd yes, best not to commune without supervision so you don't wind up chocking on your tongue or vomit or whatever ;p)
<YOAW_Narrator> It will take some time, and likely either a sacrifice or some delicious, delicious Hrieffen heart to conduct the communing.
* Korivan can arrange these things, though the latter is probablyb more easily accessible rn
<YOAW_Narrator> Korivan has the now somewhat familiar, if never entirely comfortable, sensation of fading from the mortal, waking world into that of the spirits and the gods.
<YOAW_Narrator> Korivan finds himself in a small campsite. A figure sits before a small fire, keeping the surrounding darkness at bay. Korivan has no sense of what waits beyond the firelight except for a sense of foreboding and deep dread if he contemplates it for too long.
* Severina Hobgoblin
* Severina is now known as Hobgoblin
* Korivan will stay focused on the other hobgoblin then, as much as he can
* Korivan will approach the figure
* Hobgoblin tends the fire carefully. He appears to be an older warrior, 30 or so, perhaps. He's neither tall nor short, neither broad nor thin, but there is a sense of contained power to him; might perfectly contained and directed by will. A familiar helmet rests on the ground next to him.
<Hobgoblin> Sit, Hrieffen Eryvet Korivan.
<Hobgoblin> Be welcome at my fire.
* Korivan will do as instructed
<Korivan> I come seeking the counsel of Bane @_@
<Hobgoblin> I know.
* Korivan nods
<Hobgoblin> You want to know what to do about the Hramunn.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Hobgoblin> You won't like the answer.
* Hobgoblin sighs.
<Korivan> Mmm... Does it matter what I like.
* Hobgoblin smiles at that.
<Hobgoblin> Good answer.
<Hobgoblin> Heal them.
* Korivan frowns
<Korivan> of what?
<Hobgoblin> An old wound.
<Hobgoblin> Help them believe again.
<Hobgoblin> You'll need their strength.
<Korivan> That wound.... festers.
<Hobgoblin> They do, when left untreated.
<Korivan> It poisons their minds... but you know that.
* Hobgoblin nods.
* Korivan considers what he dares to ask here, >.>
<Korivan> It could be useful to know how it was incurred
<Hobgoblin> Diplomatically put.
<Hobgoblin> I failed them.
<Hobgoblin> They remember.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Hobgoblin> They cannot forget, no should they.
<Hobgoblin> But they are needed.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> This will be...difficult @_@
<Hobgoblin> No task worth doing isn't.
<Hobgoblin> You are Gaaburrim. 'One who struggles.'
<Hobgoblin> I only command that you be what you are.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> I accept this challenge.
* Korivan says, though he is still apprehensive
* Hobgoblin nods.
<YOAW_Narrator> A shrieking, inhuman howl echoes from the darkness, closer than entirely comfortable.
* Hobgoblin looks up and sighs.
<Hobgoblin> The war waits for none.
* Korivan looks up in the direction of the howl, startled out of other thoughts
* Korivan nods
<Hobgoblin> If you've other questions, Korivan, ask them quickly. My time is precious.
<Korivan> I ask only for what guidance you can give me to achieve this.. But I will... persevere, regarldess.
* Hobgoblin nods.
<Hobgoblin> It will take them time to forgive.
<Hobgoblin> Win them to your side, first. Then to mine.
* Korivan nods as well
<Korivan> Wise, yes...
<Korivan> I thank you for your counsel.
<YOAW_Narrator> An impossibly deep rumbling echoes around the camp, the lulls in the sound filled with a horrid whispering that claws at the mind.
<Hobgoblin> Be you return, Gaath Hrieffen.
* Hobgoblin reaches for his helmet and spear, settling the helmet on his head.
<Hobgoblin> (Best, rather)
<Korivan> Yes. Fight well @_@
<Hobgoblin> And you.
* Korivan will stand and ....go back how he came?
* Hobgoblin turns as your vision fades. He looms impossibly large in your mind's eye and you hear the sound of metal meeting flesh just before you find yourself back in your ritual space.
<Korivan> @_@
<YOAW_Narrator> (hee)
* Korivan will wait until he is more sober to talk to anyone else about this, and maybe go back to the Hramuun


Laris is informed of his new duty by Ulkash


* Rufus_Metillius is ready whenever Laris is.
<Laris> (just how ruined is this fort? like can we probably walk around it safely, or will it need special precautions?)
<Laris> (or did they leave booby traps for us ;)
<YOAW_Narrator> (What's intact is pretty intact, if that makes sense?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (It's missing walls here and there, but it's stable)
<Laris> (okay. so it should be pretty evident if there's something that isn't safe and we can avoid it if we're sensible?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yeah)
* Laris will find some time, when things are slightly calmer, to have a look around the fort, then.
<Laris> (for some value of 'calmer')
<Rufus_Metillius> Well, the place has good bones, I'll give it that.
<Rufus_Metillius> No pun intended.
<Laris> (oh yeah, does my feeling of knowing my way around/familiarity persist?)
<Laris> heh. It's certainly in surprisingly good shape, considering.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yes, and it's harder to notice, if that makes sense. Mostly Laris just finds himself avoiding a loose stone, or know the stairs are right around the corner, etc.)
<Laris> (*nod*)
<Laris> How old do you think it is?
<Rufus_Metillius> Based on the dead we raised, and the resonance...this place might predate the empires. 2000, 2500 years, give or take.
<Rufus_Metillius> Could be older, even.
* Laris nods
<Laris> So, based on what they said, do you think there's something special about this place that helped them... endure so long?
<Rufus_Metillius> That would be my guess. Whatever kept the placed unChanged, most likely.
<Rufus_Metillius> Haven't had a chance to ask them, huh?
<Laris> I'm not really sure how to raise the subject...
<YOAW_Narrator> (I'm presuming this is all happening as you both walk through the place looking at stuff.)
<Laris> (okay)
<YOAW_Narrator> (So imagine occasional interruptions to duck under something or go over rubble or what have you)
* Laris runs his hand over the stones around an arrowslit, just idly examining them.
<Laris> honestly I'm a little ... cautious about it. I don't know, maybe it's unreasonble. But I feel like there's a connection there, and I don't understand it, which makes me wary.
<Rufus_Metillius> Not unusual for you.
* Rufus_Metillius says with a smile.
<Laris> mm. I like knowing what I'm getting into >.>
<Laris> This was unexpected.
<Rufus_Metillius> Yeah.
<Rufus_Metillius> Hard to imagine something all the way out here.
<Rufus_Metillius> I don't think this place was particularly mentioned by anything I've seen by the old Turathi expeditionary force.
<Laris> Maybe there'd be information about it in the Eternal City, but it isn't exactly convenient to pop over there and use the library.
<Rufus_Metillius> Noted, maybe, but everyone seems to avoid it.
<Rufus_Metillius> Hmm.
<Rufus_Metillius> Maybe Dianthea could contact some of her friends?
<Laris> Maybe.
<Rufus_Metillius> She's in good with the *really
* old guard.
* Laris nods
<Laris> That's true, that might work.
<Laris> I'll certainly be interested to hear what she makes of all this...
<Rufus_Metillius> Oh, she'd be fascinated, I'm sure. Especially to meet your new friends.
<Rufus_Metillius> I hope you plan on reinforcing this place, because she's going to want to head out here as soon as word gets back.
<Laris> Yes - I think it makes sense to use this as a secondary base of operations, to help secure this area and maintain our hold.
<Rufus_Metillius> I figured that'd be the case.
<Rufus_Metillius> It's workable, though I'm not sure how many are going to relish being stationed out here.
* Laris nods
<Laris> We'll have to work on the details. Maybe we can arrange to rotate troops in and out.
<Rufus_Metillius> Well, we can station mostly undead here to start with, though it might behoove us to put some of Kadanu's boys here, too. Get them more used to working with the Risen.
<Laris> That's true.
<Laris> But they still need someone to direct them.
<Laris> ... the undead. I mean, probably Kadanu's troops too, but ... you know what I mean.
<YOAW_Narrator> Your path takes you into the underground of the fort, back to the crypts where you first entered and encountered the Kai Do Arat.
<Rufus_Metillius> I can manage out here for a bit, and I have, you know, underlings.
* Laris looks around, taking in more now that he's not as concerned about enemies and threats.
<Rufus_Metillius> Like we mentioned, we could see if Nakhtmin has any interest in moonlighting with the military.
<Laris> Maybe so.
<Rufus_Metillius> This place is...creepy is not a word used lightly in my branch of the service, but...
<Rufus_Metillius> Off-putting, I'll say.
<Laris> It's odd. But I don't find it unsettling, except for the sense of familiarity. Maybe that's drowning out the other creepiness ;p
<Rufus_Metillius> Well, creepy might not be the right word.
<Rufus_Metillius> Like a temple? Not sacred, but...off-limits?
<Rufus_Metillius> Like I'm not supposed to be here.
<Laris> Ah. Just here, or in the entire fort?
<YOAW_Narrator> Laris, if anything, has the opposite feeling.
<Rufus_Metillius> Uh, here, now that you ask. Above ground, it's fine, but basically once we descend those last stairs...
* Rufus_Metillius gives an exaggerated shiver.
<Rufus_Metillius> Now I'm sounding like Nakhtmin.
<Rufus_Metillius> I promise I'm not going woo on you.
<Laris> heh
<Laris> I believe you. It doesn't feel that way to me, but I think that's probably part of ... whatever this broader sense of belonging that I feel here.
<Rufus_Metillius> There are different patterns, even among necromantic energy. I'm sure it's just an opposing one, interacting with my aura.
<Laris> If you want to wait upstairs, I won't be offended. I'd like to look around a little more.
<Rufus_Metillius> No, I said I'd accompany you. It's not like this is worse than battle.
* Rufus_Metillius smiles, and reaches over to take Laris's hand.
<Laris> Alright.
* Laris squeezes his hand.
<Laris> I appreciate it.
* Ulkash (webchat@199.38.187.9) has joined #gnomeland
* Ulkash appears before you.
<Laris> Ah! Greetings.
* Rufus_Metillius starts, raising his hand in a casting gesture before catching himself.
<Ulkash> Greetings, champion.
<Ulkash> Shaman.
<Laris> I hope we are not intruding here.
<Rufus_Metillius> Magus, but it doesn't matter. Greetings.
<Ulkash> You could not do so.
* Vess (vess@CPEbc4dfb296af3-CMbc4dfb296af0.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 183 seconds)
<Ulkash> And it is within your role to bring others here as necessary.
<Laris> My role?
<Ulkash> I caution you against liberal admittance.
* Laris nods
<Ulkash> Champion. Guardian of the...
* Ulkash looks at Rufus, then at Laris, the latter questioningly.
<Laris> It's all right to talk in front of Magus Auspex - he has my utmost trust.
* Laris says, if that's the concern
* Ulkash nods.
<Ulkash> Guardian of the Blade.
<Ulkash> The sacred charge of the Kai Do Arat.
<Laris> Ah... Forgive me, but I don't know what that is. Can you tell me more?
* Ulkash nods.
<Ulkash> There are...considerations.
<Ulkash> Your duties can be performed without this knowledge, and it is dangerous beyond measure.
* Laris nods
<Ulkash> Are you certain you wish to know?
<Laris> Maybe you could tell me more about the duties part first...
<Ulkash> Deep within this fortress, in a chamber inaccessible to all but the champion, lies a weapon of fearsome form and terrible power. It is the duty of the Champion and all Kai Do Arat to see that it is never again wielded upon Arth or beyond, excepting the direct command of the Queen herself.
<Laris> ... ah.
<Laris> So defending this weapon is my responsibility?
* Ulkash nods.
<Ulkash> Anonymity, and my kindred, seems to have sufficed thus far.
<Ulkash> But it falls to you, as it must.
<Laris> You said wielded again. When was it last wielded?
<Ulkash> It saw it's last battle just after the Dawn War, when the titans were bound in their prison and our Queen ascended her throne.
<Laris> Who wielded it on that occasion?
<Ulkash> The answer to that would be one of those pieces of dangerous knowledge.
* Laris nods
<Laris> All right. It suffices that I know the ... broad strokes at this point.
* Rufus_Metillius sighs in relief.
* Ulkash nods.
<Ulkash> As you wish.
<Laris> My intention is to rebuild this fortress, and have troops stationed here. Will that impede this other purpose? if I ensure that they stay out of this area.
<Ulkash> I would think not, if care is taken.
* Laris nods
<Ulkash> As I mentioned, the chamber is not easily accessible.
<Ulkash> And the Kai Do Arat will remain to dissuade investigation.
<Laris> I have a further question, if I may.
* Ulkash waits.
<Laris> Why me? Why was I chosen for this role?
<Ulkash> You are of the blood.
<Ulkash> However distantly, you must be one of the Kai Do Arat.
<Laris> It's a lineage?
<Ulkash> A people.
<Ulkash> Going back to when our people *became
* the shadar-kai.
* Rufus_Metillius raises an eyebrow at that.
<Rufus_Metillius>
Gods...
* Laris glances at him
<Rufus_Metillius> Just, ah, that's something.
<Ulkash> Quite.
<Laris> (do I have a sense of what that means? I mean, is this something I'd have learned about or is it pretty mysterious to Laris too? :)
<Laris> (like the idea that we became shadar-kai, or what we might have been before, etc)
<YOAW_Narrator> (No, it's pretty common lore. Most SK know it reasonably well.)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Well, the broad strokes, anyway.)
<Laris> I see...
<Laris> I appreciate your aid as I learn my role here.
<Ulkash> I'm somewhat familiar with the burden, Champion.
<Laris> You've done this before?
<Ulkash> I was the Champion, when I was alive.
<Laris> Ah... well, that explains... a lot.
<Laris> Thank you for your service. I will do my best to fulfill the expectations you've laid out before me.
* Ulkash nods.
* Laris salutes her.
* Ulkash pauses and returns the gesture.
<Laris> We'll speak again soon, I'm sure. Until then.

Solos

Laris freaks out at Rufus


<Rufus_Metillius> Well, that was...enlightening.
<Laris> That's one word for it.
* Rufus_Metillius is now known as Rufus_Metillius_Auspex
* Laris searches around for a bottle of wine.
* Rufus_Metillius_Auspex is now known as Magus_Rufus_Metillius_Au
* Magus_Rufus_Metillius_Au is now known as Rufus_Metillius
<Rufus_Metillius> This is so far above my pay grade.
<Rufus_Metillius> And yours, come to it.
* Laris gives a short laugh
<Laris> yes. I don't think this was included in my brief from the Senate.
<Laris> maybe I overlooked that part.
<Rufus_Metillius> And you're usually so meticulous.
* Laris comes up with some wine and will open it. Looking around for a cup, he fails to find one immediately and takes a drink from the bottle instead.
* Rufus_Metillius raises an eyebrow at that.
<Rufus_Metillius> Okay, so, containment, right?
* Laris offers you the bottle so he can keep looking for a cup, because this is ridiculous.
<Rufus_Metillius> No need for anyone else to know about this right now. Yes?
<Laris> I guess that's the first step, yes.
* Rufus_Metillius takes the bottle and takes a pull from it.
<Rufus_Metillius> I don't think, and I hope, this will be an immediate concern for Mamitu and everybody.
<Laris> People are going to know about the Kai Do Arat. That part was ... quite public. But they don't need to know the details.
<Rufus_Metillius> Right.
<Rufus_Metillius> Ghosts and the like, that's what we do.
<Rufus_Metillius> Nothing unusual there.
* Laris nods
<Laris> but what do I tell Dianthea?
* Rufus_Metillius sighs.
<Rufus_Metillius> Yeah.
<Rufus_Metillius> ...
<Rufus_Metillius> You should tell her.
<Rufus_Metillius> She's your wife, she needs to know.
<Rufus_Metillius> That you took on a new job, at least.
<Laris> Yes. I should give her a chance to leave if she wants. Before... before there are children involved, or ...
<Rufus_Metillius> She won't do that.
<Rufus_Metillius> Laris, this is...genuinely awesome. As in, inspiring awe, and not a little terror, but it is apparently a divine task set down by the Queen herself.
<Rufus_Metillius> Dianthea won't shirk that, or abandon you in your taking it on.
<Rufus_Metillius> You know her better than that.
<Laris> She didn't ask for it. *I
* didn't ask for it.
* Rufus_Metillius shrugs.
<Rufus_Metillius> We mortals rarely do.
* Laris covers his face with his hands.
* Rufus_Metillius will set the wine done and move to embrace Laris.
<Rufus_Metillius> (down, rather)
* Laris needs a few minutes to compose himself (sort of)
<Rufus_Metillius> I'm sorry this happened.
* Rufus_Metillius says a little awkwardly.
<Laris> now what does this mean... I can never leave here? I don't know how I could go back home and just... leave all this here and not be constantly worried about it.
<Rufus_Metillius> I don't know.
<Laris> I know they defended it up to now, without me, but now there are going to be more people around this place...
<Rufus_Metillius> It's stood there this long without you, with people in the area.
<Laris> but if something happened then, it wouldn't have been *my fault*
* Rufus_Metillius sighs and frowns sympathetically.
<Rufus_Metillius> Like she said, anonymity has been protection enough for a long time.
<Rufus_Metillius> There's no reason for folks to go poking around down there.
<Laris> I know you meant containment like... not telling people. but we need to also think about containment physically. there's a hole in the wall that just leads straight into the crypts. and I know she said it's further, but still.
* Laris says, talking a bit too fast
<Rufus_Metillius> Well, that can be taken care of.
<Rufus_Metillius> We can wall it off as part of the repairs.
<Laris> so if we get the engineers working on closing that up, and restricting other access to that area, but without telling them *why*, then maybe we can get it dealt with...
<Rufus_Metillius> Use Risen for it, no one to speak of it.
<Laris> oh. yes. that's a good idea.
<Rufus_Metillius> I guess maybe an engineer to tell us how to plug it up, but, like you said, they don't need to know why.
<Rufus_Metillius> We can say it's to keep them from being disturbed further.
<Rufus_Metillius> I figured we'd put the bodies back to rest.
<Rufus_Metillius> It sounds like they've done their duty.
* Laris nods
<Laris> And then we'll stay here until that's sorted out at least, and ... I guess I can write to Dianthea to ask if she will come out here, and ... I don't know what else...
* Laris is hyperventilating a bit.
* Rufus_Metillius will wrap his arms tightly around Laris to apply pressure, hopefully comfortingly.
<Rufus_Metillius> It's all right for now.
* Laris leans against you.
<Rufus_Metillius> It can wait a little while.
<Rufus_Metillius> You don't have to consider all of it at once.
<Rufus_Metillius> You won the battle.
<Rufus_Metillius> We're safe, because of you.
<Rufus_Metillius> You're safe.
<Rufus_Metillius> Breathe.
* Laris tries
* Laris looks up at you, chest still hitching unevenly as he tries and only semi-succeeds in calming himself
<Laris> help me
<Rufus_Metillius> I'm...not sure what you're asking, but I'm here for you.
* Laris nods
<Rufus_Metillius> I love you, whatever you need.
<Laris> just.. stay. keep holding me.
* Rufus_Metillius gives a small smile.
<Rufus_Metillius> I wasn't going anywhere.
* Laris buries his face back in your shoulder and takes a good long time to just try and focus on breathing and not freaking out.