Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session 29

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session logs
Previous Session 29 Next

Summary

Everyone is preparing for campaign season. Laris consults with Rufus about the defense of the city. Meghan asks May if she can play a part as well, since May is planning to go with Laris's troops. Korivan brokers an alliance with the river spirit. May asks Eyllia is she will join as well, and she agrees to take May and her escort, including Marcus aboard the Iron Drake. Laris consults with Harbinger, who declares that he must come, as he has work to do. May spends some time getting to know Marcus on the ship. And in a flashback to the earlier part, Laris and Rufus speak with Saḫḫiru.

Session

Session date: 2019-02-17
In Game date: In the days following the strategy meeting

Planning


<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, so, to recap war plans, y'all were going to move ships up the river, move infantry west to draw out the Osoro, and send your cavalry south to hit attack from there? At the same time, Ferko would be going to meet with the Rionino and the Pedernal about switching to y'all's side?
<Laris> I believe that's right
<May> Sounds like a plan.
<YOAW_Narrator> How soon were y'all planning to execute that?
<May> Hopefully we can encircle them.
<May> How long would it take for Ferko to get to the Rionino and them to be ready?
<May> That seems like the weakest link timewise
<YOAW_Narrator> 2, 2 1/2 days out there.
<YOAW_Narrator> However long negotiations take, then the same back.
<May> So like a week total?
<YOAW_Narrator> More or less.
<Laris> I say we start moving before he's back. It's possible he might not succeed, in which case, the Rionino probably go warn the Osoro or other allies about what we're doing.
<May> Fair point.
<YOAW_Narrator> That'd be him traveling on his own, and seeing if you can get Iowa to make the intro, instead of Montano.
<Laris> If we are already moving they can join in, but if they don't join, then at least we aren't held back by it
<May> Then yeah, we march on the second day and hope they meet us there.
<YOAW_Narrator> *nod*
<May> I can scry on him so we know what's happening as soon as he does.
<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, so, Laris is obviously leading the infantry and foot archers. May is likewise presumably staying in Nesu Abamatu? Is Korivan accompanying the cavalry?
<Korivan> yes
<Korivan> #splittheparty
<YOAW_Narrator> Any particular preparations in mind before you leave?
<YOAW_Narrator> Heh
* May would argue that she should go too...
* Korivan has literally invited you so :V
<YOAW_Narrator> Well, if you do go, you probably shouldn't go with the cavalry.
<Korivan> I don't thik you should stay, but he thinkis it is important for her to see in person'
<Korivan> yeah
<Korivan> you shoudl go with Laris
<Laris> okay
<May> Ostensibly so she can scry and feed information to the army, but really just because it's exciting and gets her out of the town :3
<May> Sure
<Laris> are some of my suitors coming with me too? because... I mean, I wouldn't NOT get them to hang out with May as protection for her ;)
<May> Heee
<Korivan> yessss
<YOAW_Narrator> Well, we can talk about that in-character a little. ;)
<May> I assume Induriel would try to maneuver his minions likewise
* NPC1 is now known as Rufus_Metillius
<Korivan> also I feel like maybe some stuff to help ud get a sense more of tha lay of the land and have friendly spirtis, ancestral or otherwise, on hand?
<May> If they are coming
<Korivan> I'm sure we have lots of usual prep rituals too that are more cermonial/religious in nature too
<Korivan> call on bane to bless this campaign
<Korivan> promising the ancestors good loot, etc
<YOAW_Narrator> *nod*
<Korivan> but I thikn the other stff is more purely practical. (asking bane for his blessing isn't *not* practical.. but you know what I mean ;)
<YOAW_Narrator> Heh, right
<Korivan> especially where we're going into less familiar territory
<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, cool. Then we'll go May, Laris, Korivan, ftm, and then see where we are from there. These initial scenes might not be too long. :)
<Korivan> kk
<YOAW_Narrator> Sorry, Laris, May, Korivan.
<Laris> ok
<May> cool


Rufus comes to speak to Laris in his official capacity


* Rufus_Metillius will knock on Laris's office/chamber door.
<Laris> come in
* Rufus_Metillius will enter as Laris says that.
<Rufus_Metillius> Hey, do you have a moment?
<Laris> For you, certainly.
<Laris> What's going on?
* Rufus_Metillius closes the door.
<Rufus_Metillius> Anybody about?
<Laris> Not at the moment.
<Rufus_Metillius> I'm actually here on business, but it doesn't have to be all business.
* Laris smiles a little at that
<Laris> All right. What's on your mind?
<Rufus_Metillius> The troops we're leaving in the city.
<Laris> The green undead?
* Rufus_Metillius nods.
<Rufus_Metillius> They'll obey orders well enough from whoever you set over them, but I'd be more comfortable with an actual necromancer here to watch over them.
* Laris nods
<Laris> All right, that makes sense.
<Rufus_Metillius> Clearly, I don't want to miss out on the excitement, and I'm not letting you go off without me.
<Rufus_Metillius> Sir.
<Laris> Would Nakhtmin be capable of the task?
* Rufus_Metillius smiles.
* Laris smiles at that.
<Rufus_Metillius> You know, I hadn't considered that.
<Laris> Oh, did you have someone else in mind?\
<Rufus_Metillius> They're not military, but it's mostly light duty anyway.
<Rufus_Metillius> Well, none of my apprentices are up for it. I was actually going to suggest Magus Nykona, but I was a little concerned about the political ramifications.
<Laris> ah.. yes, I see.
<Rufus_Metillius> I know we can't treat the Senate's suitors as a package deal, but...
* Rufus_Metillius shrugs.
<Laris> I don't want to cause him offense by suggesting he stay behind while the others go. But if we frame it as an opportunity to demonstrate his skills in managing the city, perhaps.
<Rufus_Metillius> That was my thought.
<Rufus_Metillius> He knows the Art, he's had some military experience.
* Laris nods
<Rufus_Metillius> It's not a difficult job, but it's a necessary one.
* Laris thinks about it for a moment
<Rufus_Metillius> Maybe we could ask Nakhtmin to shadow him, offer assistance, gauge their interest for future tasks of this nature.
<Rufus_Metillius> Free up Nykona for later.
<Laris> Perhaps - if the situation grows more fraught, we could ask him to join us later? Or ... possibly to come and escort May home, if needs be.
* Rufus_Metillius nods.
<Rufus_Metillius> Do you know what you're going to do with the other two?
<Laris> I feel like Marcus might be well placed to provide ... liaison support with the naval contingent. To rendezvous with them and help coordinate?
<Rufus_Metillius> Seems reasonable.
<Rufus_Metillius> Though I assume we'll be staying near them for the first part of this.
<Rufus_Metillius> Keep the river on our flank and all.
<Laris> As for Caelius, I thought perhaps allowing him some opportunity to command troops - as a tribune or the equivalent, perhaps, give him some smaller forces to command and see how he fares.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I also want to see about Harbinger... whether he intends to remain behind in the city, or wishes to join us.
<Rufus_Metillius> Right.
<Laris> Do you think that's a good idea?
* Laris asks more re. Caelius (he can deal with Harbinger on his own ;)
<Rufus_Metillius> What forces were you thinking of giving him to command?
<Laris> Well, I don't want to step on Varinia's toes. Maybe I could put her in charge, and let him report to her?
<Laris> of some group of archers, I mean
<Rufus_Metillius> She's not going to take offense. Let him be in charge, she can watch and make sure he doesn't screw up.
* Laris nods
<Rufus_Metillius> You know, like she did for you. ;)
<Laris> Yess.... something like that.
* Rufus_Metillius grins.
<Rufus_Metillius> I mean, you didn't screw up, but that's what centurions are for.
* Laris nods
<Laris> All right - let's try that. I know she won't let him do anything too stupid.
<Rufus_Metillius> What's that Apranius quote? "Gods save me from officers"?
<Laris> heh
<Laris> sounds about right
<Rufus_Metillius> It's a solid plan, and it includes all our people.
<Rufus_Metillius> The ambassador going to make waves if his people aren't likewise included?
<Rufus_Metillius> I know they're not formally here as military.
<Laris> Oh, probably.
<Rufus_Metillius> Obviously.
<Rufus_Metillius> They're not formally here as anything.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Let's allow them to come, and we can find a place for them as we go.
<Laris> unless you have a suggestion
<Rufus_Metillius> Leave them here and screw the insult?
<Laris> heh
* Rufus_Metillius sighs.
<Laris> I don't want them to cause trouble if they're left behind >.>
<Laris> I'd rather keep them where I can see what they're doing
<Rufus_Metillius> Brescia is a good archer, I have to give him that. He can accompany some unit.
<Laris> all right
<Laris> not whatever one Caelius is with, though.
<Rufus_Metillius> Roane is a caster, he can stick with Temu's group, I would think.
<Laris> I don't want them trying to kill each other :p
<Rufus_Metillius> Lend a hand there.
<Rufus_Metillius> Eh, he and Caelius seem to get along.
<Laris> yes, but put one in charge of the other and that could change rapidly
<Rufus_Metillius> Then again, campaign is different from wine at the villa.
<Rufus_Metillius> Yeah.
<Rufus_Metillius> Well, that's all the business I had for the moment, unless there was something else?
<Laris> I don't think so. Thank you for helping take care of all this.
<Rufus_Metillius> As usual, you seem to have things pretty well in hand.
<Rufus_Metillius> Hey, I'm here to help, however I can.
* Laris nods
<Laris> Well, stay for a little bit and have a cup of wine? unless you need to get going immediately.
<Rufus_Metillius> No, I've got time. Like I said, this needn't be all business.
* Rufus_Metillius grins.
* Laris smiles

Meghan volunteers for the campaign


* Meghan will try to catch May alone at some point.
<Meghan> (Library, chambers, etc. Your choice)
* May will likely be making preperations to head out with Laris' group in her chambers.
* Meghan will knock politely then.
<May> Come in.
* May is preparing her personal effects for the trip.
* Meghan will enter.
* May smiles to see her.
<Meghan> I hope I'm not interrupting, Siru.
<May> Not at all, Meghan. What can I help you with?
<Meghan> I was hoping to speak to you about your coming campaign.
<Meghan> My father has made his intention to remain in the city as a passive defender well-known.
* May pauses in folding her dresses and puts on her "Business" face.
<May> Of course. We appreciate his help.
<Meghan> I'm, ah, under no such compunction.
* Meghan smiles a little awkwardly.
* May raises an eyebrow.
<May> You want to come with us?
<Meghan> I thought I might offer my assistance, if it would be welcome.
* May smiles.
<May> Of course it would be welcome! I would love the company, if nothing else.
<Meghan> I'm only one person, but I'm relatively skilled. I'm a good fighter and scout, and I have some facility against magic...
* Meghan seems like she's giving you her resume.
* May laughs. "I have no doubt you're quite formidable."
<May> Does... your father know about this?
<Meghan> He's down in the Hrieffen lands, communing. Our people are well-defended by these walls, and Iosh is here to watch over them.
<May> Would he object to you helping us? I know we're allies, but you're still his daughter.
<Meghan> I don't think he'd object, ultimately. He has some concerns about being used as a weapon, like he was by Arkhosia, but I'm volunteering for this.
<Meghan> I...like what you're doing here.
<Meghan> The city, and it's different people, I think it's important.
* May smiles.
<May> Thank you.
* Meghan smiles.
<May> Your help is always welcome. And there's always a place for you here as long as you want there to be.
* May sighs.
<Meghan> What?
<May> Gds, I was starting to sound like my uncle for a minute earlier.
* Meghan chuckles a little.
<Meghan> I know something of what that's like.
<Meghan> Sometimes I speak, and I'm sure it's my father's words coming out.
* May grins
<May> We're leaving tomorrow. Can you be ready by then? I'll let Laris know to expect you to be with us.
<Meghan> Absolutely. I travel pretty light.
<Meghan> I'll see you then. Thank you, Siru.
<May> Thank you.
* Meghan will nod, then turn and leave.

Korivan makes an alliance with the river


<YOAW_Narrator> So, you're wanting to commune with the land some, to try to get a feel for it?
<Korivan> (yes!)
<Korivan> (I might takes a few peeps out wih me early - small group less likley to be noticed)
<YOAW_Narrator> How far out are you wanting to go?
<Korivan> (lemme look at the map)
<Korivan> (east along the river... or along that square, anyway)
<Korivan> (I'm not sure how far we need to though... like a day's travel past our borders?)
<YOAW_Narrator> I was going to say, if you go a little roundabout, and head to that northernmost of the Katalal hexes, that'd probably let you look into all the Osoro territory with enough ritual oomph.
<Korivan> (okay, that works)
<YOAW_Narrator> Who all are you bringing with you?
<Korivan> (Halgalaz - Faasha can stay with the troops, she's good for morale ;) Maybe Valrek if he's been behavig still, he's experienced. and like... one more?)
<Korivan> (Luggan?)
<YOAW_Narrator> Okay
<Korivan> (I'm gonna take Erret as a guard... I think they're the one we said was like, a proto paladin ;p)
<YOAW_Narrator> You and your companions can arrive at a decent spot, a small hill looking out over the valley, a creek running at the foot of it.
<YOAW_Narrator> *nod*
<Korivan> (cool)
<YOAW_Narrator> Your physical defenses will be a little shaky, as you're going to have to get very, very high for this. ;)
<Korivan> (Oh yes, I figured. I feel like it's Erret and Halgalaz's jobs to babysit ;p)
<Korivan> (also brb real quick)
<YOAW_Narrator> You are painted in ritual unguents, down the concoction of hallucinogenics, and sit patiently as your associates chant and drum, calling the spirits of the land.
<YOAW_Narrator> (kk)
<Korivan> (back)
<YOAW_Narrator> After a while, you realize you're no longer just hearing the drum, but feeling it a a pulse, through the ground, through your whole body.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Heather, can I get a Will roll?)
<Korivan> (rituals applies?)
<Korivan> (or dedication ;p)
<Lan_phone> !roll 5d6
* Korivan rolls for Lan_phone: [ 5d6 ] getting [ 3 2 4 4 4 ] for a total of [ 17 ].
<YOAW_Narrator> (Uh, hmm. Rituals, I suppose)
<Korivan> (15)
<YOAW_Narrator> You feel thirsty, and compelled to walk down to the nearby creek.
<Korivan> (seems legit)
* Korivan will rise and make his way down to the creek
<YOAW_Narrator> You kneel to take a drink, and the water is pure and cool, soothing your parched throat. As you look up, a figure stands upon the water of the creek, looking upon you with curiosity.
<Korivan> (water spirit I assume?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Presumably, though it's feature are indistinct at the moment)
<YOAW_Narrator> (It looks like moonlight upon rippling water, in the vague shape of a person)
<Korivan> Great spirit...YOur waters are most welcoming
* Meghan is now known as Spirit
<Korivan> I thank you
<Spirit> You're polite. I like that.
<Spirit> Few enough are these days.
<Korivan> The hrieffen...respect your power
<Spirit> I thought you were the Conqueror's people.
<Korivan> We are.
<Spirit> I thought he brooked no others.
<Korivan> We see the sprits.... the land.... as allies.
<Spirit> And that is what you seek here? An ally? Not a conquest?
<Korivan> In you? Yes.
<Spirit> What do you offer for such an alliance?
<Korivan> What desires does the water hold? We would make offerings, and sacrifices
<Spirit> As is right and proper.
* Laris (~Nary@108.161.119.251) Quit (Ping timeout: 190 seconds)
<Spirit> But what do *you
* offer, speaker for the Hrieffen?
* Laris (~Nary@108.161.119.251) has joined #gnomeland
* Korivan contemplates
<Korivan> There are several things I could offer....one such as you.
<Korivan> I could offer... the use of my power... or my body. YOu could join me....fot the coming battle.
* Spirit makes no movement, but is suddenly much closer to Korivan, just at the water's edge.
<Spirit> You offer yourself?
<Korivan> For...a time. My tribe...will need me for what is coming.
<Spirit> How long?
<Korivan> That... depends. If you want me...now.... then you may have...whatever remains of the night @_@
<Korivan> Or.... if after the battle... a day and a night
<Spirit> And if I want both?
* Spirit still hasn't formed features, but you somehow get the impression of a raised eyebrow.
<Korivan> Then.... a stronger commitment....would be needed.
<Spirit> I promise you, you'll have no cause to regret our alliance.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> (do I have any sense of how powerful this spirit is?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Roll Perception?)
<Lan_phone> !roll 5d6
* Korivan rolls for Lan_phone: [ 5d6 ] getting [ 1 6 5 5 5 ] for a total of [ 22 ].
<Korivan> (16)
* ChanServ sets mode: +o YOAW_Narrator
* ChanServ sets mode: +o May
* ChanServ sets mode: +o Laris
* ChanServ sets mode: +o Zari
* ChanServ sets mode: +o Curtana
<YOAW_Narrator> (You recognize this is merely a manifestation of the spirit, but it radiates power. You're sure you'd have had difficulty escaping its might if it had started this encounter angry with you. You're almost positive this is the spirit of the whole river, diminished somewhat by channeling through this small appendage of itself. It's total power would be magnitudes greater.)
<Korivan> (That's what I suspected, keen :x)
<Korivan> (Have we dealt with the river like this before? I mean it does run through our lands :x)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Never this directly. You tend to speak mostly to the ancestors and Bane.)
<Korivan> (Okay keen)
<Korivan> Yes.... I see this @_@
<Korivan> Then... if that is what you desire... I would consent @_@
<Korivan> So long as you do return me to my tribe... alive.
* Spirit gives you the sense of a conciliatory smile.
<Spirit> If you still wish it so, afterward.
* Korivan nods
* Spirit places its hands on either side of Korivan's head, and draws its face close to his, pulling him towards the water.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Fade there :p)
<Korivan> (word)
<YOAW_Narrator> Korivan will come back to himself at camp the next morning, seemingly never having left the campfire, though you are completely soaked, and exhausted.
<Korivan> (do I remember any details?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Nothing especially coherent, though you remember it being exceedingly pleasurable. You can feel a bit of its power maintaining connection with you for the time being.)
<Korivan> (cool)
<YOAW_Narrator> You also have a sense of all the lands the river touches, though it remains focused on the nearest aspects for now.
<Korivan> (okay... I'll let my peeps know thr gist of how that went down... nd now we can wait for Kraaz @_@)

May enlists Eyllia


* May will try to find captain D'Azzure, presumably on or near her ship.
* Vess is now known as Eyllia
<May> (Or should we do this in another room?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (No, this is fine)
<Eyllia> (just trying to gets some info to set the scene)
<Eyllia> (the crew of the Drake points May to a small cove near town where Eyllia has been spending her spare time as of late)
* May will make her way over there, keeping an eye out for Eyllia.
* Eyllia is knee deep in the water, going through her dance forms when May arrives at the beach
* May will approach slowly, not wanting to interrupt her too suddenly.
* Eyllia sees her and smiles continuing through the form, then pausing, one leg raised out of the water
<Eyllia> Hey there!
<May> Hi Eyllia! You're crew said you might be here.
<Eyllia> It's true, and here I am! Come for a swim?
* May laughs and glances down at her dress.
<May> I'm afraid I'm not dressed for it.
<Eyllia> Too bad. I would say just take it off, but its not that private here.
* May grins.
<May> Even I'm not that brave.
<May> I can see now why you're such a good dancer, with moves like those.
* Eyllia places both blades in her left hand, and steps slow and deliberate to the shore, without a hint of a splash from her footfalls
<May> Now you're just showing off ;)
<Eyllia> It takes talent and practice. I can show you some some time :)
<Eyllia> but I'm sure thats not has brought you here
<May> I'd like that :)
<May> No, unfortunately I'm here on official business today.
<Eyllia> I appreciate any visit from you, even official
<May> I was hoping that I could persuade you to join us on a raid we're planning up river. We could use another ship to block the river crossings during the battle.
* Eyllia picks up a cloth laying next to her sandles on the sand and starts to wipe down her blades.
<Eyllia> The season's barely started and jumping both feet in are we. Who is recieving such personal attention?
<May> The Osoro. A tribe to the west of here.
<May> We're hoping to be able to encircle them before they know what's coming.
<Eyllia> What have they done to recieve such ire, if I may ask?
<May> They've been making moves towards blocking trade along the river. I'm sure you know how serious that is for us.
<Eyllia> Very irksome, indeed. They are not ammenable to correcting this behaviour through negotiation, then?
<May> Not with their current leader.
* Eyllia finishes cleaning her weapons and slips on her sword belt
<May> I know it's not your fight.
<May> I'm asking you to help as an ally. If you can't, I understand.
<Eyllia> You're asking me, and for you I would gladly offer aid
* May smiles at that.
<Eyllia> there is other concerns though...
<May> What concerns?
<Eyllia> For one, I have but a single ship here, and its keeled for the sea. While it is true the Drake is shallow and swift, its not native to the river, so its capabilities are limited.
<Eyllia> If I could get heavier ships, they would be in worse state
* Eyllia frowns
<Eyllia> So that limits the help that can be provided
* May considers this.
<Eyllia> and the worst stumbling block is my mother.
<May> You think she would object?
<Eyllia> She was not keen in engaging our people in any conflict.
<May> I understand.
<May> I won't ask your ship to make such a trip then.
<May> But if, say, you yourself wanted to come with us as a... naval adviser... I would consider it a great honor to have you.
<Eyllia> I'm not saying I agree with here, or that there are those in her council who would not mind the opportunity to test our troops skills... its just that she is very... careful
<Eyllia> I take it, this is happening soon?
<May> Yes. We leave in two days.
<Eyllia> Well, nothing is stopping me from taking the Drake on a diplomatic mission up river... I said it would be limited, not incapable
* Eyllia smiles
* May grins.
<Eyllia> If conflict breaks out, of course I am obligated to defend my friend and allies
<Eyllia> how could I have knowing it was going to happen?
<May> Especially since I never mentioned anything to you about any battle.
<Eyllia> I could offer you a cabin if you were looking for a comfortable way to travel
<Eyllia> if you were
<May> I'll have to see what Laris says, but I would very much like to take you up on that.
<May> Assuming you have the room, of course...
<Eyllia> I'm sure he would appreciate you being kept safe, but accessible... and I'll make sure you have room.
<May> Then I'll see you at the docks in two days for our... diplomatic mission?
<Eyllia> sounds wonderful... I'm sure we'll both be busy making arrangements... you could send someone with more details in the meantime, so we're not blundering on this diplomatic mission
* Eyllia will give May a quick hug
<May> Of course.
* May will return the hug warmly
<Eyllia> Good to see you again, regardless
<May> And thank you.
<May> You too. We need to go dancing again soon.
<Eyllia> Its a different dance first, but for sure!

Marcus shows up early and asks Eyllia to put him to work


* Marcus will make his way to the Drake early in the morning the day you're supposed to set out.
* Eyllia is about the ship, making ready for the river trip
<Marcus> Ahoy, Captain D'Azzure! Permission to board?
<Eyllia> Eh? Who's there?
* Eyllia comes to the rail to see
* Marcus waves a little awkwardly.
<Eyllia> Oh, I remember you I think...
<Eyllia> what was your name again?
<Marcus> Marcus Castus Zorika.
<Marcus> I'm here to guard Domina Lalu? Or, rather, that's what I will be doing, when she arrives, but I thought I'd come early and see if I could help out at all.
<Marcus> I'm a fair hand.
<Eyllia> Ah Marcus, now I remember. Come aboard.
* Eyllia smiles slyly
<Marcus> Thank you.
* Marcus will come aboard carrying his armor and such.
<Marcus> Should I stow this somewhere? I'm not picky about berth or anything. The weather's so nice, one could simply camp on deck.
<Marcus> As I said, I'm happy to help out wherever necessary.
<Eyllia> Oh worry not, arrangements have been made for a place for you near your charge. We'll get you situated once she arrives.
<Eyllia> The offer is appreciated, but the crew of the Drake know there roles.
<Marcus> Oh, I'm well aware. Your vessel and her crew are quite admirable.
<Eyllia> I'd offer you a tour, but I know you're familiar with the ship.
* Marcus smiles politely.
<Marcus> Indeed. Thank you again for passage from Thantopolis.
<Marcus> I was just looking for something to do, I suppose. I'm not one for idleness.
<Marcus> Don't let me get in your way, though, if you're occupied.
<Eyllia> You miss the work on the ship? I know you mentioned time on them before.
* Marcus shrugs.
<Marcus> I like it well enough. Work is its own reward, usually.
<Marcus> Your ships requires different work than ours, though. No rowers, for one. That must be nice, supply-wise.
<Eyllia> Thats a crap answer. We all have that which we love... sailing, blades... other things... and that which we don't, like cargo manifests reviews
<Eyllia> as for sails, its good at sea, but I'm having half of them furled for the river
<Eyllia> The Drake will be plenty fast agains the current
<Marcus> I would imagine.
<Marcus> Have you done much riverine work?
<Eyllia> I was born at sea and have spent my life there, but I've learned other others who have, and I've got my feet in the current so I have a feel what were into.
<Eyllia> (from others)
* Marcus nods.
<Eyllia> Ah, I do have a task for you, if you want a useful work.
<Marcus> Oh?
<Eyllia> The balista in the aftcastle should be ranged and run-over before we leave... think you can handle it? it will be some heavy work.
* Marcus smiles.
<Marcus> I think I can manage that, Captain.
* Eyllia calls some crew to aid
<Eyllia> Then be at it.
<Eyllia> I'll have my eye on you
* Marcus salutes and heads off to go do that.

Laris checks in with Harbinger


* Harbinger will be at the temple, feeding the birds, as usual.
* Harbinger seems to have taken to being in the rafters with them to do so, though.
<Laris> good day - how are your charges?
* Laris asks, looking up
<Harbinger> They are not mine. They are their own. But they are well.
* Harbinger scatters some seed along the rafter and sets down the one that was perched on his hand.
<Harbinger> How are you, Domi...Legatus?
<Laris> I am well.
* Harbinger slips off the rafter, landing silently.
<Laris> We are making preparations to go out on campaign.
<Harbinger> I am glad to hear you are well.
* Harbinger nods.
<Harbinger> I have heard such. May I accompany you?
<Laris> I wanted to inquire whether you would like to join me, yes.
<Harbinger> I believe I should.
* Harbinger (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Harbinger (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Laris> All right. Do you know what is drawing you to be there? Or is it a personal desire?
<Harbinger> I have a purpose there.
<Laris> Very well.
<Harbinger> A thread is to be cut.
<Harbinger> I am the blade.
* Laris nods slowly
<Laris> I hope that I can help you to achieve your purpose, then.
* Harbinger nods.
<Harbinger> For myself, I would take it amiss were anything to happen to you, Laris Corvis. The weave would be poorer for your absence.
<Laris> Very well - we will depart soon. I imagine you don't need to prepare very much, but if there is any assistance I can offer, let me know.
<Laris> Thank you.
* Harbinger nods.
<Harbinger> I will see you then.
<Laris> Indeed.
* Laris will bid farewell and go to continue with his own preparations, then
* Lan_phone (uid135102@id-135102.brockwell.irccloud.com) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
* Laris will make sure to have a night at home with Dianthea before we leave

Laris says farewell to Dianthea


<Dianthea> I know this is necessary, and I'm not scared, per se, but I still worry.
<Dianthea> (Is this at the villa or the keep?)
<Laris> (let's say the villa)
<Laris> I know. I don't want to worry you. It will be all right.
* Laris takes her hand.
<Dianthea> I know.
* Dianthea squeezes Laris's hand.
<Dianthea> This isn't as dangerous as some of the things you've had to do.
<Laris> I haven't had... someone waiting for me to come back before.
<Dianthea> Well, you've had someone along with you before. And still will.
* Laris nods
<Dianthea> You and Rufus will keep each other safe, right?
<Laris> Yes. We'll look out for each other. And there will be many others also to help keep us safe.
<Laris> I'll return as quickly as I can.
* Dianthea smiles.
<Dianthea> I know.
<Dianthea> It seems like everyone is going with you.
<Dianthea> It'll just be me and Merula. And Sahhiru.
<Dianthea> And I guess Sagax.
<Laris> well, there will still be people in the city. Sagax is staying to provide guidance for the undead.
* Laris nods
<Laris> You are always welcome to stay in the city if you want - this is your home, but you aren't obliged to remain here if you're bored or lonely. There is more to do in the city.
<Dianthea> Oh, I know.
<Dianthea> I was planning on going to the keep.
<Dianthea> Just in case.
* Laris nods
<Dianthea> I can help Merula at the temple, and I imagine wounded will be sent back.
<Laris> I'm sure she would appreciate your aid.
<Dianthea> Is May going to be safe out there with you?
<Dianthea> She's not actually going to be in any fighting or anything, is she?
<Laris> If I ever feel that she's not safe, I'll send her back with an escort to ensure her safety.
<Laris> She should never be near any fighting.
<Dianthea> Okay.
<Dianthea> That's good.
<Dianthea> She's the ruler here, and she needs some experience in this, but it's...not who she is.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I agree - I think she wants to go because it is something exciting, and once she sees it for what it really is, I think it will be less .. appealing to her.
<Dianthea> That's...good isn't the right word.
<Dianthea> But maybe necessary.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I hope that it won't be too difficult, and we'll return quickly.
<Dianthea> As do I.
<Laris> I will write to you... I used to always do that, it's felt strange not having to :3
* Dianthea smiles.
<Dianthea> We could do it still. Just because.
* Laris nods
<Laris> but for now, anyway... I don't need to be back tonight, and maybe writing letters isn't the best option for our evening together :)
<Dianthea> Oh, no, I had other plans in mind.
* Laris smiles at that
<Laris> I'm very interested to hear about them...

Solos

May spends some time with Marcus on the ship


* May will probably spend much of the journey hanging out by the prow of the ship taking in the scenery.
* Marcus will inadvertently provide some of that scenery. ;)
<May> :3
* May will sneak glances.
* Marcus will be, let's say, scrubbing the deck, shirtless in the heat, humming quietly to himself.
<May> (heeee)
* Longpig (Longpig@104-195-210-95.cpe.teksavvy.com) has joined #gnomeland
* ChanServ sets mode: +o Longpig
* May will approach him with two drinks in her hands.
* Marcus mostly seems like he doesn't have a care in the world, which is a little unusual on short acquaintance, but you also notice he still has his sword on his belt and his eyes dart to the northern bank fairly often, keeping a watch.
<May> You look hot.
<Marcus> Oh, Domina, ah, Siru Lalu.
<Marcus> I didn't see you there.
<Marcus> I admit, I'm not used to your southern weather as yet.
* May will hold out the refreshing beverage for him.
<May> I was under the impression your people didn't really care for so much sunlight.
* Marcus will accept the drink gratefully.
<Marcus> I suppose that depends.
<Marcus> It doesn't harm us, as such, but we do burn easily.
<Marcus> But we also heal quickly.
* Marcus shrugs.
<May> Ahhh
<May> That's useful
<Marcus> A reasonable trade for a novel experience.
<May> How are you liking the south so far?
<Marcus> It's new, which is itself pleasing, and the company has been good.
<Marcus> (You get the impression that came out smoother than he meant.)
<May> (lol)
<Marcus> Thank you for the refreshment.
<Marcus> I suppose I was working up a thirst.
<May> Your welcome. It seemed the least I could do.
<Marcus> To the contrary. It speaks well of you you didn't just send a servant.
* Marcus smiles.
<Marcus> A courtesy means more when it's personal.
<May> I don't mind getting my hands dirty sometimes. If the situation warrants.
* Marcus smiles again, and is unable to hide a blush with his pale complexion.
<Marcus> Hence your accompanying this expedition?
<May> Partly. Honestly, I'll take any excuse to get out of the keep for a while. I don't get to travel nearly as much as I'd like
<Marcus> You're only now taking the reigns of power. I'm sure fate will allow greater, ah, geographical latitude as time goes on.
<Marcus> When things are more stable.
<May> I hope so. There's lots of places I'd love to see. Thantopolis, for example.
* Marcus grins.
<Marcus> The Eternal City is a sight, to be sure.
<Marcus> Though it would take lifetimes to see all of it.
<Marcus> As its people will tell you.
<May> Then it's lucky that time is something its residents have in spades.
* Longpig is now known as Llillilli
<Marcus> A great many of them, yes.
<Marcus> Even discounting the Queen's gift.
<May> How does our little town compare to that sort of majesty?
<Marcus> It's...like this.
* Marcus gestures to the deck and his (mop, I assume?)
<Marcus> It's good work.
<May> Oh... so not like a dirty mop then.
<May> ;)
* Korivan is now known as Daifan
<Marcus> Sorry, I'm not always the best with...words.
* May laughs.
* Forthright is now known as AshnabisNarrator
* NPC5 (~Curtana_n@d24-57-147-225.home.cgocable.net) has joined #gnomeland
<May> No, it's fine. I'm not either, honestly
* NPC5 (~Curtana_n@d24-57-147-225.home.cgocable.net) has left #gnomeland
<Marcus> No, I mean, you're doing good, necessary work. Making the place better, for everyone, it seems.
<Marcus> That's harder than making it better for one person or people, but better in the long run.
<Marcus> Makes the Weave stronger.
<May> I hope so. I don't see any reason that Nesu Abamatu can't be a place for everyone. I don't feel any particular need to keep up the old feuds just for the sake of tradition. It's a different world now. The... loss... of Bael Turath chnaged things. It tore a piece out of the weave, I guess you might say. I'm trying to pull some of the strands back together.
* Marcus smiles at that.
<Marcus> That's a noble goal. One I'd be proud to help with.
* May smiles.
<Marcus> In whatever capacity.
<Marcus> I'm sure you know why my associates and I are here, but I hope you don't think that's the only reason we'd stay.
<May> Tell me, then... what kind of future do you see for Nesu Abamatu?
<Marcus> It could be something the world truly needs, something it couldn't have when the empires reigned. A place where all peoples can come together, to learn from one another, to settle disputes, put aside old rivalries, and build something new.
<Marcus> Perhaps that's idealistic, but I've been called a dreamer before.
<May> Well... you're not the only one.

At the earlier party, Laris and Rufus speak with Sahhiru


<Laris> (I was guessing this would be at the party, even though that means going back in time slightly, but if you want it can be later)
* Kennesaw is now known as Sahhiru
<Sahhiru> (No, that's fine. It's not especially far back or anything.)
<Laris> (cool cool)
<Sahhiru> (How were you picturing this scene?)
<Sahhiru> (Laris and Rufus approaching Sahhiru?)
<Laris> (yeah, that probably makes the most sense, and more likely Rufus being a bit more of the initiator, since I think Laris is a bit nervous? Like Rufus being like "come on, let's go talk to him" kind of thing?)
<Sahhiru> (Okie doke)
* Rufus_Metilius will maneuver Laris over towards Sahhiru at some point during the evening's festivities.
* Laris is still a bit cautious about this whole situation, but is willing to go along and try to make polite conversation because that's what well-adjusted, normal adults do ;)
<Rufus_Metilius> Good evening, Lord Sahhiru.
<Laris> Hello again... I hope you're enjoying the party?
<Sahhiru> And to you, Magus Auspex, Lugal Corvis.
* Sahhiru says with a smile.
<Sahhiru> It's quite the occasion.
<Laris> Yes... this place has not seen a gathering like this before.
* Laris says, glancing over at whatever nonsense the hobgoblins are getting up to.
<Sahhiru> Nesu Abamatu has little in the way of 'society,' thus far. I'm sure our Aethrennari friends are feeling more at home already.
<Rufus_Metilius> Yes, I'm sure this is just what they're missing.
* Laris smiles slightly at that.
* Rufus_Metilius chuckles.
<Sahhiru> It's good, to let the leaders of our various factions mingle in a social setting. Form bonds beyond strategic necessity.
* Laris nods
* Rufus_Metilius will nod towards Kraaz chatting up one of the elven contingent.
<Laris> Well, I hope that's the case, at any rate.
<Rufus_Metilius> Some are better at it than others.
<Sahhiru> I'm not sure he would consider what he does bonding, per se.
<Laris> I always find the Hrieffen's celebrations somewhat... overwhelming. It doesn't allow so much opportunity for conversation.
* Rufus_Metilius grins.
<Sahhiru> Indeed, though they serve a different purpose, for the most part.
<Sahhiru> Or multiple such.
<Laris> Yes, that's quite true.
<Rufus_Metilius> Well, they seem to managing our type of celebration reasonably well. No one's injured and nothing's broken.
<Laris> So far, at any rate...
* Rufus_Metilius dips his hand in his wine and flicks a bit over his shoulder for luck.
<Rufus_Metilius> (fingers, rather)
<Rufus_Metilius> (Not his whole hand :p)
<Laris> (heh)
<Rufus_Metilius> And M - Domina Mamitu? She seems to be having a good time.
<Rufus_Metilius> I imagine things like this will be both exciting and a bit of a chore for the foreseeable future.
<Laris> Do you have a sense of whether she has formed any opinions of the young gentlemen yet?
<Sahhiru> I get the impression Lord Roanne has acquitted himself well.
<Sahhiru> And Lord Nykona seems to have managed to capture some attention.
* Sahhiru sighs and shakes his head.
<Sahhiru> One never really knows, though, does one?
<Rufus_Metilius> I hope it's not untoward to ask, but she was never betrothed? Promised, nothing like that?
<Laris> I suppose not. I admit, even though I tried to advise my father on what characteristics might appeal to her, I am somewhat in the dark as far as what she would actually appreciate in a spouse.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Sahhiru> I'm not sure Mamitu knows what she would appreciate in a spouse, honestly.
<Laris> She is quite young. What seems appealing initially might not be what is actually beneficial for her, as well.
<Sahhiru> As to your question, Magus, she was, long ago, but I'm afraid her intended is...unavailable.
<Rufus_Metilius> Gods, do I feel old having this conversation.
<Rufus_Metilius> And Rufus is fine.
* Laris smiles slightly.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Laris> Well, some are capable of making rational decisions when they're teenagers... occasionally...
* Laris says with a smile to Rufus
* Rufus_Metilius grins.
<Sahhiru> I would have a hard time imagining you as ever having been...impulsive?
<Rufus_Metilius> You have no idea.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Laris> >.>
<Rufus_Metilius> Quite the stickler, this one.
<Rufus_Metilius> Still is, really.
* Rufus_Metilius gives Laris an appreciative smile.
<Sahhiru> To his credit, I would say.
<Laris> I don't easily rush into things. It means that when I do make up my mind, hopefully it's well deserved >.>
<Rufus_Metilius> And to the city's benefit.
* Sahhiru frowns for a brief moment in an emotion you can't quite identify.
<Laris> But for Mamitu, I suppose there is not a great rush? She can take her time to decide as well.
<Sahhiru> Yes and no?
<Sahhiru> An heir would...solidify things here in a way no alliance or treaty can.
<Laris> I suppose there is that.
<Sahhiru> May is young, and in no particular danger, campaign aside, but...fate can be fickle.
* Laris nods
<Rufus_Metilius> Well, she has a keep, and walls, and troops, and allies. We'll make sure she has the time she needs.
<Laris> Do you believe you have some influence over her choice? Or will you allow her free rein to decide among the available candidates?
* Sahhiru raises an eyebrow.
<Sahhiru> I have as much influence as any parent, I think. Which is to say, complete and none at all, at the same time.
* Rufus_Metilius laughs.
* Laris smiles at that
<Sahhiru> I have my preferences, but it will take a gentle hand to guide her.
<Sahhiru> She mislikes feeling pushed.
<Laris> Well, hopefully you will feel that her selection is a good one, and your guidance will be merely to encourage her that you think she's making a wise choice.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> Well, Lord Roanne is studious lad, and they share a lot of interests, so he could be helpful in augmenting her sorcerous capabilities.
* Sahhiru still doesn't sound convinced.
<Laris> There's something to be said for contrasting strengths, though. Someone who doesn't echo her own skills so much as supplement them in other areas.
<Sahhiru> My thoughts exactly.
<Sahhiru> The Thantopolitan contingent is perhaps better suited to balancing out May's areas of lesser focus.
<Rufus_Metilius> Though certainly Domina Mamitu is, herself, still learning. She has time to cover her own weaknesses.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> She's growing into her role, yes.
<Laris> Do you worry about her coming on the campaign? Obviously we'll endeavour to keep her well out of the way of any dangers, but I hope it isn't too nerve-wracking for you.
<Sahhiru> If I had some way to prevent her going without undue stress on all involved, I would invoke it, but I fear her mind is set.
<Rufus_Metilius> She'll be mostly away from the fighting, though.
<Rufus_Metilius> And she'll be well-protected.
<Laris> If it seems like things are getting too risky, I'll send her back under guard.
<Sahhiru> I appreciate that.
<Laris> She might not.
<Sahhiru> I know you were both roughly her age when you first commanded troops, so I cannot gainsay her going.
<Rufus_Metilius> Wouldn't be the first time a ruler's been 'escorted' to safety against their wishes.
<Laris> I think it's worthwhile for her to see what it involves. I admit part of me hopes that she'll see battle, and decide that leaving such things to her commanders is fine.
<Sahhiru> I'll admit, that may be the most useful outcome.
<Rufus_Metilius> Still, an appreciation of what battle entails, a genuine one, would be a good thing for her to acquire.
* Laris nods
<Laris> It's not something she should approach casually, certainly. I hope that she'll come away with an appreciation, as you said, for the costs and difficulties involved, and bear them in mind as she goes forward - but not necessarily on the field herself.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> I know you'll have plenty of other things to occupy your attention, but...I'm trusting her to you for this.
<Laris> I understand.
<Rufus_Metilius> The main force will be nearby.
<Laris> And I'm trusting the city to you, while we're away.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Sahhiru> I had a month, at least, of practice with that.
<Laris> I know it isn't the same...
<Sahhiru> I'm sure I can manage.
<Sahhiru> On the contrary. You have shaped and guided and watched over the city.
<Sahhiru> I understand completely.
<Sahhiru> (Crud, I have to step away for a little bit)
<Laris> (ok)
<Sahhiru> (I'm on my phone but I can't do Sahhiru and Rufus both from it)
<Laris> (no worries, I can wait)
<Lan_phone> (Rufus suddenly has to go pee. Too much wine :V)
<Sahhiru> (hee)
<Sahhiru> (I return)
<Laris> (wb)
<Laris> I'm still not quite used to having other people around who can share the responsibility of taking care of things here.
<Sahhiru> I hope it's not too uncomfortable an adjustment.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Laris> No, it's just not quite second nature yet.
<Rufus_Metilius> Lot of that sort of thing going around.
<Rufus_Metilius> But change is a good thing.
<Sahhiru> I quite agree.
<Laris> I know it's for the best. It wasn't ... well, I was going to say it wasn't sustainable the way it was before, but clearly I did sustain it for a decade. But it wasn't ... healthy.
<Laris> For the city, or for me, to have that much resting on one person. It's better to share the load.
* Sahhiru gives his best encouraging look.
* Rufus_Metilius will look around to check no one is paying attention, then quickly reach over to squeeze Laris's hand, then let go.
* Laris smiles slightly at that
<Rufus_Metilius> Well, there's a whole set of people here to help now.
* Laris nods
* Rufus_Metilius doesn't clarify if he means help with the city or just to help Laris. :)
<Laris> I appreciate that.
* Laris glances around to see how the rest of the party is faring
<Rufus_Metilius> (Presumably just fine. :))
<Laris> I suppose I should ... mingle. That is what one does at these things... I've heard ;)
* Laris says with a slightly reluctant smile
<Sahhiru> It is your party, after all.
<Rufus_Metilius> But you know where we are.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I'll go make a circuit, and maybe locate another cup of wine.
<Laris> do you want anything?
* Laris asks either of them
* Rufus_Metilius gives a smile whose fragility likely would go unnoticed by Laris and Rufus both.
<Rufus_Metilius> No, I'm good.
* Sahhiru moves his eyes from Rufus to Laris.
<Sahhiru> I am likewise content.
<Laris> Very well.
* Laris will step away, leaving the two of them to talk (or not, as the case may be)
* Laris feels like he isn't sure if he messed things up there or not.