Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session 12

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Ye Olde Adventure Worlde session logs
Previous Session 12 Next

Summary

Laris show Saḫḫiru the new baths under development, and Saḫḫiru inquires about his continued presence in the city. Elven representatives from Vanilorra arrive at the city, inciting debate about how, and whether, they should be received. Laris checks with Merula about whether this could be the predicted rider. Kraaz updates Korivan on the meeting, and they discuss what to do with the Ankai and other future plans.

Session

Session date: 2018-05-20
In Game date: Three months (approximately) from the previous session

Laris and Sahhiru tour the baths


<Laris> Let's say meet at the keep and go together.
<YOAW_Narrator> All right, you can find him deep in paperwork, as per usual.
<YOAW_Narrator> (I'm assuming he asked you there, and then to go see the baths)
<Laris> (sure)
<Laris> Good morning.
<Sahhiru> Ah, good morning. Sorry, just finishing up a few things.
* Sahhiru scratches out a few notes on what he's working on.
<Laris> Is everything well?
<Sahhiru> Nothing out of the ordinary. The costs of, well, I can't really call what happened with the Maazikai a campaign...
<Sahhiru> Cost of doing business, shall we say?
* Laris nods
<Laris> This is an expensive line of work.
<Sahhiru> You would know. It was yours until not too long ago. :)
* Laris nods
<Sahhiru> Well, I suppose you're still in the same line of work, just a different position.
<Sahhiru> Is it a relief, I wonder? Not to have the direct responsibility?
<Laris> I suppose in some ways. I still feel responsible for the well-being of the city. It isn't so easily put aside.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> I had a feeling you'd say that.
<Laris> But it is good to... have someone to share that responsibility.
<Sahhiru> A burden shared is a burden lessened. :)
<Sahhiru> Well, I'm done here for the moment. Shall we go take a look at this new undertaking of yours?
<Laris> Yes, certainly.
<YOAW_Narrator> The two of you can make your way out of the keep and into the city. (I'm assuming walking is fine?)
<Laris> (sure - what's the weather like? I have no idea what season we're in now :)
<YOAW_Narrator> (It's pretty warm. It's late spring/early summer, and this is a tropical/subtropical environment)
<YOAW_Narrator> (To the extent there is a difference in seasons ;))
<Laris> (heh. hot -> hotter)
* Sahhiru sighs contentedly.
<Sahhiru> All other things being equal, I do love the weather here.
* Laris smiles a little at that
<Laris> I've gotten used to it I suppose.
<Sahhiru> It's quite different from your homeland, hmm?
<Sahhiru> Thantopolis isn't quite so gods-awful cold as the dwarven lands, but it, for instance, has actual winters, yes?
* Laris nods
<Laris> Yes... the change in seasons is more pronounced.
<Laris> If it becomes this hot, at least it then becomes cooler again.
<Laris> Not as humid...
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> It must have been quite the adjustment when you first came here.
<Laris> Yes... well, when I had my villa built, including some measures to moderate the heat were important to me. The courtyard is designed to allow air to circulate, for instance. Trees for shade to keep it from becoming excessively warm. The baths also help :)
<Sahhiru> They are quite nice, I have to say.
<Sahhiru> And, speaking of...
* Laris smiles at that
<YOAW_Narrator> You two arrive at the site of the baths, which have at least their outer walls built.
<Sahhiru> So, what inspired this bit of civic infrastructure?
<Laris> Obviously for a public bath, the considerations are somewhat different - but I hope it will provide similar benefits to the populace. An increase in sanitation and hygiene, as well as comfort.
<Sahhiru> This place might begin to feel like civilization at last. :)
<Laris> In my home, the baths are often a common site for people to gather and talk and conduct business. I am not certain if they will become such a destination here, but I hope at least they will help some of the city's inhabitants to engage in more frequent acts of cleanliness.
<YOAW_Narrator> You can take him in and show him around. The interior is still being worked on, but the bath areas are dug and mostly tiled, walls are at least laid out, etc.
<Sahhiru> Do you find the people here to be so...dirty?
* Sahhiru says jokingly.
<Laris> Ah... well. I understand that people have different standards of what they consider clean. I have accustomed myself to the local standards, even if they are below my own personal preferences.
* Sahhiru smiles.
<Sahhiru> You seem to maintain quite exacting levels of personal cleanliness.
<Laris> It will probably be a challenge to convince some of them that bathing is not harmful :p
<Sahhiru> (quieter) I've never had any complaints.
* Sahhiru laughs.
<Laris> well.... good.
<Sahhiru> I think even our more recalcitrant citizens may come to see the benefits.
* Laris nods
<Sahhiru> As you said, for social and business matters, if not for hygiene.
<Laris> If nothing else, it will be a novel, hopefully enjoyable, experience.
* Sahhiru smirks at that.
<Sahhiru> One may hope.
* Laris checks that we're not being observed before taking Sahhiru's hand in his and giving him a quick kiss.
* Sahhiru returns the kiss and smiles.
<Sahhiru> Out of curiosity, can I read into this investment any interest in, ah, extending your tenure as a consultant and confidant?
* Sahhiru says carefully.
<Laris> (has Laris had any further communication from his family/fiancee/anyone at home in the past 3 months?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Good question. I think yes from family, not as yet from fiancee. Your family is happy with your decision to stick around Nesu Abamatu for a while, to cement Corvis relations with the new leader. They seem enthusiastic about the fact that you should be able to focus on, basically, wealth generation without having to worry about running the place. They didn't specifically mentioned anything about you coming back or not.)
<Laris> (okay)
<May> Oooooh.... harsh...
<Laris> (says May off in the distance ;)
<YOAW_Narrator> (heh)
<Laris> I ... believe I could be ... persuaded.
* Laris says cautiously.
* Sahhiru smiles at that.
<Sahhiru> I've been told I can be fairly persuasive...
<Laris> Perhaps this is where I'm meant to be for now.

Riders from House Camellia arrive at the gate


<YOAW_Narrator> Okay, also a Sahhiru scene for May, presumably finding her in her library?
<May> (May will be going through a series of old Turathi military treatises)
<YOAW_Narrator> All right, then we'll pick up at a point that the three of you are all in the keep, though it doesn't necessarily have to be together for right now.
<May> (Ok. May is in exactly the same spot then :D )
* Induriel is going through his library, trying to pick a book that will interest Laris
<Laris> (heh)
* Laris is working on writing letters home.
<YOAW_Narrator> May, a servant will com to tell you that a party of riders is approaching the city from the north, bearing a flower sigil.
<YOAW_Narrator> Sahhirru requests your presence to receive them.
* May furrows her brow.
* May will make her way downstairs and find Sahirru.
<May> (Do I know the sigil?)
<YOAW_Narrator> Servants will also be dispatched to request Laris and Induriel's presence as well.
<YOAW_Narrator> (You can roll to see if you do)
<May> (Knowledge?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Or Status)
<May> !roll 5d6
* Korivan rolls for May: [ 5d6 ] getting [ 1 4 1 4 3 ] for a total of [ 13 ].
* Induriel responds to the summons!
* Laris will also go down to see what's happening. Should we also roll to see if we recognize the symbol?
<YOAW_Narrator> (Sure)
<Laris> !roll 3d6
* Korivan rolls for Laris: [ 3d6 ] getting [ 1 3 6 ] for a total of [ 10 ].
<Induriel> !roll 4d6
* Korivan rolls for Induriel: [ 4d6 ] getting [ 1 2 4 2 ] for a total of [ 9 ].
<Induriel> (sad trombone sound)
<May> (lol)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Heh. Okay, well, Induriel actually has reason to know a little of this, so I'll give him a break. It's actually two banners. The one flown above is a stylized amaranth, appropriately the sigil of House Amarantha, the so-called 'royal
<YOAW_Narrator> ' house of elves. The other is a camellia, again, sigil of House Camellia.)
* May looks at Induriel.
<May> Friends of yours?
<Induriel> . o O (What? What are they doing here?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (You guys know they're dragonmarked houses of elves, previously loyal to Arkhosia, now, all you know is that they have consolidated in central Nerath)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Tuck, they are considered traitors and rebels by Aethrennar)
<Induriel> The amaranth and the camellia - the symbols of houses that are so named.
<Induriel> (I realize that too, I take it?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (And ostensibly Nesu Abamatu was founded to fight them.)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yes, you know all that.)
<Induriel> Rebel houses. Traitors to Queen Alcarinel.
* Induriel frowns
<Laris> (What is the composition of the group? like does this appear to be a military force or a small group of diplomatic envoys or what?)
<May> Huh.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Lookouts on the walls counted 12 people with the group. Armed, but nothing out of the ordinary for travelling through these lands.)
<May> Maybe we should post some archers on the wall. Just in case.
<Laris> Well... at that size, they are not likely looking to attack. We should see what their intentions are - but be wary.
* Laris nods to May's suggestion, as well.
<YOAW_Narrator> A runner will head off to give those orders.
<Sahhiru> Shall we meet them, or receive them here?
<Induriel> (What's the story with these two houses? Why are they outcast?)
* Laris will see what May says (but if he disagrees, may speak up ;)
<May> I guess out there. If they're trouble I don't want to invite them in quite yet.
<YOAW_Narrator> (When Aethrennar joined Bael Turath, the elves rebelled and joined Arkhosia.)
* Induriel nods at May's decision
<YOAW_Narrator> (Taking a the western portion of the territory and much of the physical military might with them.)
<Induriel> With your permission, perhaps I will hang back so they do not see me - not immediately.
* May shrugs.
<YOAW_Narrator> Mounts will be brought for you, then.
<May> Suit yourself.
<Induriel> It may be revealing to hear what they say when I am not there.
<Induriel> When they do not *realize
* I am there, I mean.
* Laris will accompany the party to go out to meet them, then.
<YOAW_Narrator> You can all ride out to the northern gate. It seems the riders took their time and made sure they were seen.
* Induriel will as well, but hang back somewhat and wear unremarkable clothing to avoid attention
<YOAW_Narrator> Where exactly do y'all want to meet them? Outside the gate? From atop it?
* Laris would vote for 'from atop it'
<May> (Yeah, atop is good if that's an option)
<Induriel> (I concur!)
<YOAW_Narrator> You can watched as the riders approach, taking a slow and careful pace. It is indeed 12 riders, plus several pack animals and remounts. They pull up not far from the gate, and two members of the party ride forward.
* Elven_warrior (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
* Elven_mage (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) has joined #gnomeland
<Induriel> . o O (Hmph.)
<Elven_mage> We seek entrance to the city of Nesu Abamatu, that we may bring words of greeting and offers of friendship from the Ohtaher lómelindë of the House Amarantha.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Ohtaher is a title that literally translates as "Warlord". Think of it like the elven shogun.)
* May looks at Sahirru
* Laris will let May make the call on letting them in, but will quietly turn to her and say "We should be cautious, but not turn them away."
<May> (quietly) What do you think, uncle?
* May will nod to Laris
<Sahhiru> Well, there are not many of them. There's no need to be rude.
* May will address the envoys "Alright, then. Come inside and we'll talk. Leave your weapons and animals out here and they'll be tended to."
* May will send a runner to get some stablehands.
* Elven_warrior will exchange glances with her counterpart but comply.
* Induriel will continue to attempt to listen in while avoiding notice, and try to make sure others of his retinue are similarly not in evidence
<May> (I guess we can recieve them in the hall. I'll have someone bring food)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Just to clarify, you're having them leave their mounts and weapons at the city gate?)
<May> (To be taken to the stables, yes.)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Okay)
<YOAW_Narrator> They'll enter, following you and your guards.
<YOAW_Narrator> How exactly do you play to receive them?
<YOAW_Narrator> (Does May have a throne? A nice chair at least? >.>)
<Laris> (let's form one our of our arms and carry her around)
<Laris> (out of)
<May> (Lol, I figured at a long table with some food)
<May> (Everyone likes food)
<Induriel> (I'll try to stand in a side passage or something where I can hear and see what goes on without being seen myself.)
* Laris will stand beside May, visible but a little off to the side.
<May> I'm Domina Mamitu Lalu. Welcome to Nesu Abamatu. You say your Ohtaher sent you?
<Elven_mage> Yes, Domina. Ohtaher lómelindë of the House Amarantha. At his behest, my sister and I were sent to bring gifts and good tidings to your ladyship.
* Elven_mage will bow deeply and formally.
* Elven_warrior will echo the gesture.
<May> And what should I call you two?
<Elven_mage> I am Istar Ettelëa Camellia, essëcolindo for the peoples of the Yána of Vanilorra.
<Elven_warrior> I am Istar Lócë Camellia, essëcolindo for the peoples of the Yána of Vanilorra.
* Elven_warrior is now known as Loce
* Elven_mage is now known as Ettelea
<Laris> Greetings.
* May will introduce the others at the table as well
<Loce> Well met.
<Ettelea> We thank you for your hospitality, Domina.
<May> You're quite welcome. Try the snake. It's good.
<YOAW_Narrator> (For reference, Ettelea: Kyra.jpg , a little martial for her, but they're both fighters of one sort or another)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Loce: tumblr_ohuf4bnVFn1sazby5o1_500.jpg)
<May> (Sweet :) )
<May> What sort of friendship is Ohtaher lómelindë looking for? I understand our territories are not historically on the best of terms.
<Ettelea> Excellent, I'm quite fond. We brought peppers from our lands. Perhaps we could have our servants prepare urin ango for you while we are here.
<Loce> Historically, yes, Domina, but a new era is being made now. Is it not?
<May> There have certainly been a lot of changes, yes.
<Ettelea> We hope that a positive relationship between our peoples might be one of those changes.
<May> Well, we're certainly not looking for enemies.
<Ettelea> I do not mean to offend, but Bael Turath is no more, just as Arkhosia is gone. Those feuds do not need to carry into the future for their descendants.
* Laris nods
<Laris> How long do you intend to remain here for?
<Loce> We do not wish to overstay our welcome, but the Ohtaher would like to establish a permanent presence here to facilitate partnership, if at all possible.
<Laris> What sort of permanent presence? An embassy of sorts?
<Induriel> . o O (Oh HELL no.)
<Ettelea> That would be ideal, yes.
<Laris> We will consider the issue.
<May> Does the Ohtaher understand that as a former protectorate of Bael Turath we still have some ties to Aethrennar? Diplomatically speaking...
* Laris says noncommittally.
<Ettelea> We understand there are many demands on your time and attention. We do not wish to cause an incident. But I would like to say that a relationship with one power need no necessarily impact that with another.
* May will nod.
<Loce> Nesu Abamatu is well-positioned as a median space, for many polities. We would like to participate in its rise.
<May> Well, we'll need some time to consider of course.
<Laris> I'm sure you understand that the stability and safety of the city is foremost. We will need to confer with our allies and associates to ensure that such a change does not cause difficulties.
<Ettelea> Of course, Domina.
<YOAW_Narrator> (Presumably, you guys can continue diplomatic small talk for a while, until you wish to dismiss them so you can discuss things amongst yourselves?)
<Laris> (yeah - do we have a place where we can put them up safely? I guess Laris can offer the tavern up, it probably has enough rooms?)
<Laris> (I mean outside the keep - I don't really want them in there at this stage ;)
* May will try to appear friendly but noncomittal as best she can.
<May> (Yeah, outside the keep but somewhere we can keep an eye on them)
<May> (Does Laris have a guest room at the villa?)
<May> ( :D )
<Laris> (hell no they are not staying at my villa)
<May> (heee)
<YOAW_Narrator> (The tavern is fine, or they can camp if you give them a place.)
<May> (Tavern is good. More hospitable.)

The House Leaders discuss how to deal with the elves


<Laris> (can we also have a Hrieffen rep to confer with? Maybe Kraaz if Korivan is currently unavailable?)
<Laris> (I just want to make sure they are included in any discussions of letting new peeps into the city)
<YOAW_Narrator> (We can say y'all can send for Kraaz)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Though it'd probably be a day before he could get there.)
<Induriel> (Can I get Valtheriel into this meeting too? )
<Laris> (well, we probably won't make any final decisions in just a day, so that should be okay?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Sure, Charles)
* Loce is now known as Kraaz
* Ettelea is now known as Valtheriel
<May> Well this is... unexpected.
<Sahhiru> Only somewhat. We would have ended up dealing with them eventually.
<Induriel> Now that you've proven victorious.
<Laris> The fact that they have made this overture may suggest that they wish to pre-emptively avoid the possibility of further conflict, or that they have some ulterior motive for wanting to have some of their people stationed here.
<Kraaz> How is what they want different from what he's doing here?
<Induriel> It should surprise no-one that I suspect the latter rather than the former.
* Kraaz points to Induriel.
<May> Well, for one thing, I know him.
<Kraaz> Okay, fair.
<May> Still, we don't need enemies right now.
<Induriel> The difference, Hraal, is that my Queen offered alliance unprompted, *before
* your great victory, and indeed had me help in it.
<Laris> If they remain here, we can keep a closer eye on them, and perhaps guide them for our own purposes.
<Laris> Whereas if we turn them away, even if we do so in a non-aggressive manner, we lose that opportunity to know more of their actions.
<Sahhiru> It does seem the wiser course of action to have them where we can see them.
<Induriel> Why? What are they offering?
* Kraaz nods at Induriel.
<Kraaz> I suppose that's true.
<Induriel> Do you think they have not considered your reaction?
<Laris> (have we had any evidence of what specifically they're offering, other than peppers?)
<May> I'm with Laris. If they're for real then it's better to treat them well. We always need more friends. If not, it's still better to keep them where we have access to them. Keep your friends close and all that.
<Induriel> I'm afraid that Queen Alcarinel would see your acceptance of their permanent presence in this city as an insult and betrayal. She has proven her friendship, and you would reward her by accepting traitors to her name into your city?
<May> I was afraid you'd say that.
<Induriel> I understand that you wish to maintain peace with them; all to the good.
<YOAW_Narrator> (They brought good from Vanilorra (peppers, other spices, magic plants), some rare scrolls for May's library, assorted other luxury goods.)
<Induriel> But I do not think it is wise to accept them as a permanent fixture in this place.
<May> They *did
* bring scrolls...
<Induriel> If they wish to send individual diplomatic missions for specific ends, I suppose you must listen.
<Induriel> But do not offer your ally's enemy equal consideration.
<Induriel> (How does Valtheriel look?)
* Laris arches an eyebrow slightly at that
* Valtheriel looks contemplative. You get the impression she's trying to recall something.
* Valtheriel whispers to Induriel
* Induriel frowns as he considers whatever she's said
<Laris> With all due respect, Ambassador, you would only be harming your own people's opportunities here if you reject this offer on the grounds that it would be insulting to your own position. After all, our relationship with one party does not detract from our ties to another.
* Laris says entirely straight-faced.
<YOAW_Narrator> (hee)
* May smirks
<Induriel> What offer? They did not offer anything to Aethrennar. Nor to Nesu Abamatu, not anything of substance.
<Induriel> And as my aide has just pointed out to me, a permanent embassy here would put them in a much better position to negotiate and coordinate with the Amanya Hatal.
<Laris> If we dismiss them, will they not pursue such negotiations separately?
<Laris> They offer opportunity - for trade, at least, and perhaps for greater peace and stability if these preliminary overtures go well.
<Induriel> But without the diplomatic cachet of being able to claim that they have established an embassy - and spy post - within Nesu Abamatu.
<May> Any thoughts, Uncle?
<Induriel> They have been your enemies as much as Aethrennar's for the full century since they abandoned their duty to our Queen.
<Induriel> I understand the appeal of peace; but do not be quick to trust them.
<Sahhiru> I don't believe anyone here is proposing we trust them.
* Induriel ponders for a moment
<May> They were Bael Turath's enemies.
<Induriel> If they were to make sincere overtures of restitution to Aethrennar, I would not oppose listening to them.
<May> Induriel, we aren't Aethrennar. I respect you and your queen, but we're our own city now.
<Induriel> But Aethrennar is your proven friend, Heri Mamitu.
<Induriel> And these newcomers are asking something that would give great offense to Aethrennar.
<Laris> Allowing them to remain does not mean we trust them, or that we esteem them more highly than you. You have proven your friendship, of course, and we value it. I would give these the opportunity to strive to do likewise - if they do not, we can always have them eliminated.
<Induriel> Allowing them an equal embassy to our own would be a public statement that your regard for each is equal.
* Laris leaves that a little vague as to whether he means 'kicked out of the city' or 'heads on spikes' type of eliminated.
* May rubs her temples.
<Laris> Perhaps we do not allow them a post within the keep - you have this, and they would not. You would therefore be clearly the more trusted allies.
<Laris> We could permit them to set up an establishment within the walls, but not within the keep.
<Induriel> Why within the walls?
<Laris> So that we can observe them more easily.
<Laris> Outside the walls, we would have less opportunity to conduct our own surveillance on them.
* Induriel frowns, but takes a moment to consider the point
<May> Wouldn't your queen welcome a chance to have her enemies somewhere visible?
<May> She's smart. She'll see the advantages.
<Induriel> A formal embassy would still send the message that Nesu Abamatu is at peace with them, which strengthens their hand in other negotiations.
<May> We *are
* at peace with them.
<Induriel> You are not currently fighting them. Not entirely the same thing...
<May> I was 8 when Bael Turath fell. I'm not gonna be saddled with old grudges I never had any part in if I don't have to.
<Induriel> I'm afraid you may not have a choice, Heri Mamitu. At least, you may have to suffer through the rather tortuous process of sorting them out.
* May sighs
<Induriel> You do not have to give them an answer right away.
<May> Let's all sleep on it then.
<Induriel> Very well.
<Kraaz> Next time, I'm sending Kor.
<Kraaz> Siru Lalu.
<May> Wonderful. That should help diffuse things.
* Kraaz nods towards May before making his exit.
* May will give him a smile and a nod as well.
* Induriel bows and takes his leave to discuss the whole situation with Valtheriel
* Induriel (Mibbit@bas1-montreal43-70-51-28-203.dsl.bell.ca) Quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
* Valtheriel also takes her leave.
* Kraaz (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* Valtheriel (webchat@rw-199-38-187-9.ranchwireless.com) Quit (Quit: webchat.esper.net)
* May will hang back with Sahirru as the others leave.
<Sahhiru> Well, we knew from the moment our scouts saw the banners this would be an issue.
* May tilts her head back dramatically, careful not to smack her horns into the wall.
<May> Why is everything so coooomplicated...
* Sahhiru chuckles softly.
<May> Maybe if I send a personal letter to the queen it will help smooth things over.
<Sahhiru> That's possible.
<Sahhiru> An envoy of our own might do well, but I'm not sure who we can spare.
<May> hmmm
<YOAW_Narrator> (Is Laris still there?)
<May> (You can be if you want)
<Laris> (I can be)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Either way is fine, I'm just curious)
<May> Maybe Ferko? Although if they're staying here I want him around to supervise them.
<May> If anyone can find out if they're for real he can.
<Laris> I wouldn't advise sending him away at this juncture.
<Sahhiru> *nod*
<Sahhiru> His usefulness lies outside diplomatic circles, I think.
<May> Yeah
<Sahhiru> ...I would be the logical choice.
<Sahhiru> But I do not want to abandon...the city, at this juncture.
* Laris glances over at him at that
* May 's eyes go a bit wide at the suggestion.
<Sahhiru> I say this only if we feel it is necessary. Perhaps Induriel will see reason and help us smooth over relations with Aethrennar.
<May> I can ask him to. As a favor.
<May> But he seems pretty gung-ho against this.
<Sahhiru> But I am known to the Queen somewhat, through you. Should it become necessary to repair that connection, none can speak for you as I can.
<May> Yeah but... I need you here...
<May> Like... what if something happens?
<Laris> I think to some extent Induriel is posturing. While he has valid concerns, I don't think he is actually going to withdraw his contingent over this. It may cause some disturbance in our relationship, however would it truly be enough to sever ties over?
<Sahhiru> I must admit, I did not expect him to be so...partisan over this.
<Laris> Perhaps there is more to it than there seems.
<Sahhiru> May, were I not here, it would not be for long. And you have other advisers.
<Sahhiru> You and the city would be in good hands.
* Sahhiru will glance at Laris at that.
<Laris> ...
<Sahhiru> Hopefully, it is a moot point.
<Laris> Perhaps you are correct that you can convince Induriel to see reason in this matter. If you have any sway over him, now might be the time to use it.
* Laris suggests to either of them ;p
<May> Let's hope so. I'll draft a letter to the queen in any case.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> I did, however, have another issue to discuss with you, Mamitu.
<Sahhiru> Something you said before, it, ah, coincides with a thought I'd been having for a while.
<May> What's that?
<Sahhiru> That this is not Bael Turath, and you do not want to be beholden to those grudges and such.
<May> Oh... yeah.
<Sahhiru> Nesu Abamatu was founded as a military outpost. It is much more than that now.
<Sahhiru> This may seem silly, but it can have significant ramifications...I wonder if we might not want to rededicate the city. Find it a new divine patron.
<Sahhiru> Asmodeus sits on high, of course, but the city is currently dedicated to Bel and Dispater. Fine patrons, true, but perhaps not the best to guide our endeavors.
<May> Hmmmm
<May> It would be a good way to show our break with the old way of doing things.
* Sahhiru nods.
<May> Yeah...
<May> Yeah.
<May> That's not a bad idea.
<Laris> It may cause offense to some, however?
<May> Maybe. But if we want to show ourselves to be independent it would be an important step.
<Sahhiru> I do not believe Kalu would protest, but it can be discussed.
<May> I don't want to make him angry, but I'm sure he'll recognize that we might be better served with new patrons.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> I have some ideas...some more unorthodox than others, but that might be good in this case.
<May> We can talk about it once we figure out this elf business. I think that's more pressing right now. But I'm definitely on board.
<Sahhiru> Of course.
<Sahhiru> Now, I think I will take some dinner. Anyone care to join me?
<May> Please!
<Laris> Certainly.

Solos

Laris consults Merula about the new arrivals


* Laris will track her down at the temple, yeah
* Merula will be at the temple, doing priestess-y stuff :)
<Laris> Excuse me, Fata Merula. May I have a moment of your time?
<Merula> Dominus Corvis, of course.
<Merula> To what do I owe the honor?
<Laris> I seek your insight, if possible.
<Merula> I'm happy to offer it.
<Merula> What's troubling you?
<Laris> A group of riders approached the city from the north, bearing banners from houses of Vanilorra. They claim to seek peace, and brought gifts for Domina Mamitu. However... there is concern that they may have ulterior motives as well. I thought of your words about the rider approaching... I wonder if you feel this may be related, or if that has yet to come to pass.
<Merula> Hmm.
<Merula> It's certainly a concerning coincidence, if nothing else.
* Laris nods
<Merula> What do you know about these riders?
<Merula> Elven nobles from Corellon's sanctuary, you say?
<Laris> There are about a dozen in their group, from the houses of Amarantha and Camellia. Their leaders are Istar Ettelëa Camellia, and Istar Lócë Camellia.
<Laris> They seek to establish a presence here in the city.
<Merula> It's not exactly my area, but that's a, ah, dicey proposition, no?
<Laris> Yes, it would potentially cause troubles with others of our prospective allies, and it may be that, as I said, they have other reasons for wishing to have a foothold here.
* Merula nods.
<Merula> I wouldn't ordinarily think one of the Queen's revelations to show itself so soon.
<Merula> Nor so literally.
* Laris nods
<Merula> But it does seem to fit.
<Merula> Maddening thing, prophecy.
<Laris> It may be that my concerns are coloured by my other worries. But perhaps you are right that it's too literal.
<Merula> And this coming from one who worships the Queen in her aspect as the Weaver of Fate.
* Merula sighs.
<Merula> I can pray on it. Perhaps attempt another look beyond.
<Merula> But my gut says, no, this is not the purpose for which Harbinger was sent.
<Laris> Very well.
<Laris> If your prayers lead you to other impressions, I would very much like to hear of them, but I trust your instincts in this matter.
* Merula nods thanks.
<Merula> They aren't foolproof, but I have some experience with interpretation.
<Merula> What do you think?
<Laris> Me?
* Merula nods.
<Laris> It is not my area of expertise... but the words spoke only of a single rider. This was a group, and I do not know if there is one alone I could single out - even among their spokespeople, there were two.
<Laris> So... it does not seem to be a precise match. But it need not be literal, as you said.
<Merula> Correct.
<Merula> They obviously bring opportunity. What of death?
<Laris> Unless their intention is to kill someone here, or to gain access to the city for others who do mean harm, then I don't see it.
<Laris> Obviously if that was the case, they would hide their intentions.
<Merula> Of course. But you met them. What did you think of them?
<Laris> They seemed sincere to me in their wish for peace and better relations between our peoples. They spoke of not being bound by the old grudges of the past.
<Laris> They have wealth, or at least they offered gifts that indicate wealth, and if they wish to trade, perhaps they seek to make use of our port or to enhance their networks in that regard.
* Merula nods.
<Laris> It is not my decision to make, but my advice will be sought, at least.
<Merula> And the ulterior motives you mentioned. You think they might wish the city or its people harm?
* Laris considers that for a moment
<Laris> No... I don't think it is quite so simple as that. If they wished to conquer the city, this is an odd way to go about it. Perhaps it is that they seek to gain information, or access to someone or something here. Perhaps it is that they know we have allies from Aethrennar and wish to work against them, to have us ally with them instead.
<Laris> Perhaps they know that Domina Mamitu is young and inexperienced, and think they can gain a hold over her, or manipulate her to other ends.
* Merula nods, listening intently.
<Merula> All valid concerns, I would think.
<Merula> But not, and forgive me, on the level I feel would merit intervention from our Queen.
<Laris> If I were a less confident man, I would be insulted that after so many years, only once I step aside do all the emisarries come to pay tribute and make offers of alliance.
* Laris says dryly
* Merula smiles.
<Merula> You were a steward, were you not?
<Merula> If you had claimed this place, perhaps they would have come to you.
<Laris> I was. I would not have been in a position to make the same kind of agreements that Domina Mamitu could.
<Laris> I think perhaps they knew it would not be successful in the ways they might wish. My agreements would have been provisional or temporary, were they accepted at all.
<Merula> Not to mention, as you said, Domina Lalu is neither as experienced nor as formidable as yourself.
<Laris> Perhaps not, but she has good advisors.
<Merula> She offers them an easier, more permanent route to influence here.
<Merula> One cannot have everything one wants.
* Merula smirks.
* Laris nods
<Laris> This is very true.
<Laris> Sometimes, perhaps only one thing one wants.
<Merula> Sometimes, that is enough.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I will leave you to your business. I thank you for your time, and your counsel.
<Merula> I am always happy to offer it, Dominus.
* Laris will take his leave, then
<Laris> (I don't think he will mention this to Harbinger, but will just keep an eye on any interactions they have in the next few days, in case anything seems odd/off about him)
<YOAW_Narrator> (No more off than usual, I would think :))
<Laris> (Heh)

Laris consults with Sahhiru about the elven emissaries, Induriel, and their obligations


<YOAW_Narrator> Okie doke. Presumably Sahhiru is somewhere in the keep to be found.
* Merula is now known as Sahhiru
* Laris will track him down, then
<Laris> good evening...
<Sahhiru> Good evening, Laris.
<Sahhiru> Was I meant to be expecting you? Not that it isn't a pleasant surprise.
<Laris> no, I hoped to talk if you have time. If you have other plans, it can wait.
<Sahhiru> No, I don't have anything urgent, and I'm happy to make time for you. What did you want to talk about?
<Laris> what do you think of the elven emissaries? their intentions, I mean.
<Sahhiru> Hmm. The question of the moment, isn't it.
* Laris nods
<Sahhiru> (?, rather)
<Sahhiru> I'm not entirely sure. Generalities can be problematic, but my experience with the elduar says they're not here for just one reason.
* Laris nods
* Lan_phone (uid135102@id-135102.brockwell.irccloud.com) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
<Sahhiru> But, with the change of power here, such as it is, it makes sense for them to make a move.
<Sahhiru> Better at least to have Nesu Abamatu neutral than allied against them.
<Laris> I do think that we will not learn more about their intention by sending them away. If we permit them to stay, even if at arm's length, at least we have the opportunity to find out more of what they actually want.
<Sahhiru> I'm certainly inclined to agree. They've been perfectly polite and accommodating, moreso than entirely necessary for such a power, however distant.
<Sahhiru> I would prefer to keep them where we can watch them.
<Laris> Induriel seems very averse, however. And I don't wish to cause undue harm to our ties with Aethrennar.
<Sahhiru> Nor I, but I do think Induriel is being unreasonable.
<Sahhiru> Not that he isn't representing the typical Aethrennari viewpoint, however.
<Laris> I don't suppose there could be some other reason he is so opposed?
* Laris ponders idly.
* Laris sighs
<Sahhiru> I don't know of any personal issue that might influence him on the issue, but I could look into it.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I think May was hoping she could talk him into agreement but I suspect you might have better luck >.>
<Sahhiru> I can attempt it.
<Sahhiru> Laris, speak your mind, please.
<Laris> ... would you really journey to Aethrennar and leave here?
* Laris carefully doesn't say 'leave me'
* Sahhiru pauses a moment.
<Sahhiru> I would journey to Aethrennar, for the time it would take to make the trip, convince Queen Alcarinel of our friendship, and return, *if
* it proved necessary. I sincerely hope it does not, but it would not mean permanently abandoning...the city.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I understand. We all have our responsibilities to fulfill.
<Sahhiru> Burdensome though they may be.
* Laris nods
<Laris> I've become accustomed to having you here.
<Sahhiru> I would say the same.
<Sahhiru> You would be my first choice to shepherd the city and my 'niece' in my absence, but perhaps you would prefer to accompany me if the journey is required?
<Laris> ...
<Laris> I... would not wish to leave the city in a perilous state.
<Laris> as we said, we have our responsibilities.
* Sahhiru nods.
<Sahhiru> As you say.
<Laris> I know that I have no claim on you. And I ...
* Laris pauses
<Laris> we each have other obligations.
<Sahhiru> That's not new information.
<Laris> but... if I were free, yes. I would go with you.
* Laris manages to say
<Sahhiru> If you came with me, it would not break any other obligation of your's, would it?
<Sahhiru> You would be maintaining your interests in the city, and the city itself.
<Sahhiru> That there might be other benefits...that can't be held against you, I would think.
<Laris> my obligation to protect the city... to maintain my family's interests here... what if they summoned me home or ..
* Laris hesitates
* Laris knows perfectly well that they aren't going to summon him home
<Sahhiru> It is still months until you said you would leave...most of a year, yet.
* Laris nods
<Sahhiru> You've no need to worry about that just now.
<Laris> this is... mmph. this is getting ahead of ourselves. there may be no need for such a trip in any case.
<Sahhiru> You're right.
<Sahhiru> For the time being, why don't you save yourself a trip tonight?
<Laris> you don't need to go and persuade Induriel to see the light?
<Sahhiru> That's a conversation that can wait. I believe I have more important concerns to attend to.
* Laris nods grudgingly
<Laris> it would not be what is best for May, or for the city, for both of us to leave at once... we can't always have everything we want.
* Laris says, still wavering but willing to be drawn into staying tonight, at least.
<YOAW_Narrator> (That seems like a good spot to end it on?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (I'll brb)
<Laris> sometimes just one thing is enough ;)

Kraaz and Korivan discuss the future


* Kraaz will probably meet up with you the day after the meeting with the elves.
<Kraaz> (Likely not too long after returning to camp)
<Korivan> (cool)
* Korivan can be pulled away from whatever he is doing - probably talking to Booyagh ppl, or listenting (listening") to them talk >.>
<YOAW_Narrator> (heh)
<Kraaz> Gaath. You have a moment?
* Kraaz is bearing a wine jug.
<Korivan> hmm?
* Korivan looks at you, then at the wine, then at whoever he is with
<Korivan> ...Yes.
<Kraaz> Don't worry, there's more to go around.
* Kraaz will say to the other booyahg there.
<Kraaz> More fruits of our alliance. :)
<Korivan> mmm, good.
* Korivan will gesture towards his tent
* Kraaz will follow you inside.
<Kraaz> Least they could do, really. That was a pointless damn meeting.
* Kraaz will take a slug of wine and pass it over to you.
<Korivan> Hmm?
* Korivan takes the wine, though, and will drink while waiting for you to elaborate
<Kraaz> Some new envoys showed up from...Vanilorra, I think. Elves from the north, I know that much. They wanted to make nice with Siru Mamitu.
<Kraaz> The eladrin ambassador isn't happy about it.
<Kraaz> Not a lot to do with us, just yet anyway.
* Kraaz shrugs.
<Korivan> Not the Amanya Hatal?
<Kraaz> No, they were 'nobles'. From dragonmarked families, I gather.
<Kraaz> Sent by their warlord, so I'm told.
<Korivan> hmph.
* Korivan sort of shrugs
* Korivan tries to remember if he n=knows anything about Vanilorra other than 'elves I guess?'
<YOAW_Narrator> (You could roll...I think Knowledge? for it)
<Korivan> (would education apply here?)
<Lan_phone> !roll 4d6
* Korivan rolls for Lan_phone: [ 4d6 ] getting [ 3 3 6 3 ] for a total of [ 15 ].
<Lan_phone> !roll 1d6
* Korivan rolls for Lan_phone: [ 1d6 ] getting [ 6 ].
<Korivan> (either 15 or 18, anyway :)
<Korivan> Arkosia's time is as past as Bael Turath.
<YOAW_Narrator> (You know it's an elven holy place, sacred to the Seldarine (the elven gods) and Corellon in particular. You would also know its become a gathering place of elven tribes in the (to you) far north in the last few decades)
<Kraaz> From what I heard, they seem to think so, too.
<Kraaz> At least, that's what they're telling Siru Lalu.
<Korivan> There is a new world to be made...
<Korivan> but they follow....weak gods.
* Kraaz nods.
<Kraaz> I'd actually been thinking about that.
<Kraaz> The empires, they had something to unite around. But Arkhos proved weak and Ratha false.
* Korivan tries not to look tooo dubious, but listens
* Korivan nods at that
<Kraaz> The Ankai, they seem ready to take up Bane's cause.
<Kraaz> Bane is strong and true.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Kraaz> Two tribes are strong, but there are others who might heed Bane's call.
* Korivan nods
<Korivan> More will come to him.... in time, yes....
<Korivan> They will see his strength
<Kraaz> The city folk, though. They'll never bend the knee willingly.
<Korivan> they
<Korivan> are too soft for Bane
* Kraaz nods.
<Korivan> what are you thinking?
<Kraaz> I'm not sure.
<Kraaz> I can't see the future. I don't hear the ancestors. But I think this might be the beginning of something...important.
<Kraaz> We crushed the Maazikai, and we will erase their taint from this land. That will not be the end of this.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Korivan> Bane will become the champion of all Gobbar
* Kraaz nods.
<Korivan> Then...who next?
<Kraaz> Cement ties with the Ankai. Then...the Kobrakai? They bow to the Osoro, but it's not as though Iaga is well-liked.
<Korivan> yes
<Korivan> The Ankai... They have shown strength, and this should be rewarded
* Kraaz nods.
<Kraaz> The Ankai took lands from them. I think they should be returned...conditionally.
<Kraaz> (Maazikai, rather)
<Korivan> Yes...
<Kraaz> (He's not that drunk)
* Korivan remembers that he has wine, and drinks some more
* Korivan also remembers to share :V
<Kraaz> (I assumed Kraaz had been drinking some more over the course of the conversation)
<Korivan> (legit)
<Korivan> If they recognize our greater power
<Kraaz> Right
<Kraaz> Hrall Mygal seems worthy.
<Korivan> She is clever
<Kraaz> Though much of this may fall on their new Gaath, whoever that turns out to be.
<Korivan> She recognizes....strength
<Korivan> (Do I have any idea how that's looking?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (A final decision hasn't been made, but it looks like Faasha is a strong contender. It's possibly having Korivan as a recent example may be swaying things. ;))
<Korivan> Malaga saw Bane's strength. Our strength. Their Booyagh knows this.
* Kraaz nods.
<Korivan> I will.... guide them.
* Kraaz will raise an eyebrow at that.
* Induriel (Mibbit@70.51.29.82) has joined #gnomeland
* Korivan seems oblivious to your quizzicalness
<Kraaz> Well, we need to get it settled. Or they do, whichever.
<Korivan> (did they get hit with th plague as well?)
<YOAW_Narrator> (Yes, though they seem to have it in hand like the Hrieffen)
<Korivan> (cool)
<Korivan> Thins game...calmed. The sickness passed
* Korivan frowns
<Korivan> (things have)
<Kraaz> What?
<Korivan> Mm. It will get resolved soon.
* Kraaz nods.
<Kraaz> I thought you and the booyahg handled that well.
<Kraaz> There were bound to be aftereffects of Maazikai's sorcery.
* Korivan huffs.
<Korivan> Yes....
<Korivan> The strong prevailed.
<Kraaz> As we will continue to do. :)
* Korivan says but sounds disatisfied
<Kraaz> What's wrong? You won.
<Korivan> Yes...
<Korivan> The camps.... were... bad.
<Korivan> They were bad deaths
<Korivan> :|
<Korivan> (I assume Kraaz was discouraged from coming out to them, lets not expose all the leadership >.>)
<Kraaz> It's not a fit end for our people, no, but they march with Bane now.
<Kraaz> That is a triumph, in the end.
<Korivan> Yes.
<Korivan> I know.
* Korivan drinks more wine
<Korivan> It is better to look to the future.
<Kraaz> You did the tribe proud. You saved those strong enough, and eased the pain of those whose battles had ended.
<Kraaz> I agree.
<Kraaz> We have too much to do to dwell on our troubles.
* Korivan nods, and will pass back the jug
* Kraaz will take a deep drink.
<Kraaz> Well, at least they know what they're doing with some things.
* Korivan will drink to that :V