Questionnaire of Doom!
A character generation tool.
This questionnaire should be filled out as much as possible before playing your character. It has four sections: Past, Present, Future and Out of Game. You may skip questions (especially in the Present section) if you don't know the answer to a question or don’t feel that a specific question is applicable or interesting, but try to put something down for each question. You may write blah in place of any name, location, or date, if you would rather that I fill in something appropriate. You may answer the questions one by one, as listed below, or you may write out part or all of your answers in paragraph form, as a narrative.
Copy and paste it into your word processor or Microsoft Wordpad.
1. Where and when were you born?
2. What was your family life like? How did your parents treat you?
3. Do/did you have any brothers and sisters? If so, describe them.
4. Did you have any pets as a child? If so, describe them.
5. What was your general outlook on life?
6. What were your social and/or economic circumstances?
7. What sort of education did you receive (both formal and informal)?
8. Did you have a mentor, teacher, or advisor in acquiring your abilities?
9. What (if any) expectations were placed upon you when you were young?
10. Did you have any unusual talents or features as a child?
11. What did you want to be when you grew up?
12. What were your goals or ambitions as a youth? If you haven't accomplished them, why not?
13. What was your proudest moment or greatest accomplishment?
14. What was your most embarrassing or painful experience?
15. Describe two or three other experiences that helped mold your personality and beliefs.
16. Who were some of your childhood friends? Are they still close to you? If not, why not?
17. What did your friends (or enemies) tease you about as a child? Is it still something that affects you?
18. Did you have any rivals or enemies as a youth? What is your relationship with them now?
19. Have you ever been in a serious relationship? With whom? What happened?
20. What were your first experiences with sex? How did you learn about sex?
21. How many people have you had sex with, and who are they?
22. Have you ever been in love? With whom? What happened?
23. What was your first experience with death? How did it affect you?
24. Have you ever been in a fight? With whom? Did you win?
25. Have you ever committed any crimes? If so, were you caught? Punished?
26. What is the one action or event that you regret the most?
27. What was your worst childhood nightmare?
28. What was your most treasured possession in childhood? What happened to it?
29. What is your most closely guarded secret? Does anyone else know about it?
30. What is your happiest memory? Your saddest? Your most traumatic?
1. What are five positive adjectives or personality traits you could use to describe yourself?
2. What are five negative adjectives or personality traits you could use to describe yourself?
3. List five adjectives which describe your physical appearance.
4. What is your opinion of yourself, in general? Why?
5. What do you think others think about you? Why? Do you think they are right?
6. What is your greatest fear? Why?
7. What is your greatest passion? Why?
8. How do you respond to dangerous or stressful situations?
9. How do you respond to sad or depressing situations?
10. How do you respond to boring or mind-numbing situations?
11. How do you deal with failure? Success?
12. How do you deal with authority figures?
13. How do you treat others when you are placed in authority over them?
14. Are you a dog person or a cat person? Why?
15. What are your attitudes towards marriage and family?
16. What are your attitudes towards children?
17. What is your opinion of sex and sexuality?
18. Do you have any pets? If so, what?
19. How would you describe your current relationship with your family?
20. Have you ever travelled? If so, where, and under what circumstances?
21. Who is your most serious rival or enemy? Why?
22. What are three things you like to do in your free time?
23. What is your occupation or profession?
24. What is your opinion and satisfaction level concerning your current profession?
25. What are three things that you absolutely will never, ever do?
26. Who are three of your closest friends? Why?
27. Whom do you consider to be your current mentor, teacher or advisor?
28. What is your favourite colour?
29. What is your favourite food and/or drink?
30. Where do you live? Why? Describe your home surroundings.
31. What do you find attractive / unattractive in other people? Try to name at least three things for each.
32. Do you have any particular prejudices or biases?
33. Would you describe yourself a traditionalist or a rebel? Explain.
34. What are your "pet peeves"? Try to name at least two.
35. What sort of music do you like to listen to?
36. What sorts of books do you like to read?
37. What is your most treasured possession? Why?
38. What is your worst nightmare today?
39. How is your physical / mental / emotional health?
40. Do you currently suffer from any serious illness? Have you ever?
41. What is a joke that you find especially funny?
42. What colour is your hair? How much of it do you have? How do you wear it?
43. What colour are your eyes?
44. How do you usually dress?
45. Do you have any distinguishing marks, scars, or other features?
46. What do you think is your best physical feature? Your worst?
47. Do you have any unusual habits, mannerisms or quirks?
48. What religious beliefs do you hold, if any?
49. What skills (not just Skills) are you particularly good or bad at?
50. What are your opinions on the following subjects: the monarchy, the church, religion in general, people of other religions/cultures, wizardry, sorcery, gender roles?
1. What are your goals for the next year?
2. What are some of your long-term goals? Over 10 years? Over 50 years?
3. What do you think is the greatest obstacle you must face in order to achieve these goals?
4. Do you want to get married? Have children? How many?
5. Would you like to change professions in the future? What would you like to be?
6. What is the place you would most like to visit?
7. If you were going to write a book, what would the title be?
8. What are three things you would change about yourself if it were possible?
9. What are three things you would change about your environment if it were possible?
10. If you were going to die in 24 hours, what three things would you most want to do?
11. What would you like your epitaph to read?
Out of Game
1. What is your alignment? Explain your understanding of that alignment, and how it will affect your character’s behaviour.
2. Which historical figure would your character most admire (real-world, any historical period)?
3. What are three ways in which you (the player) and your character are alike?
4. What are three ways in which you (the player) and your character are different?
5. List any NPCs you feel your character needs to have made up (not necessarily by name).
6. What do you think is the best thing that could happen to your character?
7. What do you think is the worst thing that could happen to your character?
8. What do you consider to be your ultimate goal with this character? What are you (the player) trying to accomplish?
9. What sort of campaign are you generally interested in? What do you hope for from this campaign?
10. List at least one thing you are going to try in playing this character that you have never tried before. Do you think you will have any problems in playing this character?