Homoventures Chapter 4, Part 11

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Homoventures session logs
Previous Homoventures Chapter 4, Part 11 Next

Summary

The vigil over the fallen worker is proved necessary when he rises as a ghoul at midnight! Justen and Xan (mostly Justen) put him down easily, but another ghoul appears, then runs away with an ominous warning. A Cozovode elf camped nearby, Anxikaril comes to investigate the commotion, and offers his assistance in guarding and clearing the site. Meanwhile Karala has the illness under control with the other workers. Xan approaches Sleyght about the confirmed undead sighting and convinces him that the tomb needs to be prepared. they make plans to do so the next day.

Session

Session date: August 20, 2011
Diablotin date: Spring 2275


<DiablotinNarrator> As it disappears back into the underground tunnel, the creature hisses something at you in what you think is an archaic form of Psyrene
<Xandhil> (can I make sense of it at all?)
<DiablotinNarrator> you can make an Int check, I'll say
<Xandhil> !roll 1d20+6
* BalthCat rolls for Xandhil: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 25 ].
<Xandhil> (^-^)
<DiablotinNarrator> You think it said something like "The general waits for you, intruders"
<Justen> What was that?
<Xandhil> nothing good.
<Xandhil> somrthign about the general waiting for us...
<Xandhil> are we going to have to kill the first king of Psyra? That'll go over well :p
<Justen> :/
<Justen> I hope not.
<Justen> What should we do with the body? bury it here? take it back to the camp?
<Xandhil> hmm
<Xandhil> I think people are goign to bury it tomorrow
<Xandhil> but we can take it back to camp I guess?
<Justen> okay
<Xandhil> we should tell someone we were right
<Justen> do we tell people what happened?
<Xandhil> no.
<Xandhil> well, not like, just anyone
* Justen nods
<Justen> Just Sleyght?
<Xandhil> yeah - let him figure it out
<Xandhil> >.>
<Xandhil> Unless he's being stupid
<Xandhil> I'm kind of afraid he's not really prepared for what's going on here
<Justen> yeah...
<Justen> do you think we should try to go further into the tomb before the workers do?
<Justen> in case there's more of those things, or worse?
<Xandhil> :|
<Xandhil> I wonder if we're enough?
<Justen> well... that thing wasn't too tough, it ran away after 2 hits.
<Xandhil> yeah, not to tough *for you* - I can't do much against undead, and it was resisting all my spells
<Xandhil> but I do think that place needs clearing out before it is safe for work to go on
<Xandhil> I'm worried that it will be hard to sell Sleyght, because it will compromise some of the discoveries.... but we do need to talk to him
<Justen> We could see if Sleyght and that other professor and maybe Karala were willing to come with us... people who are more accustomed to handling themselves? I don't know :/
<Justen> He might be kind of clueless - or blinded by the prospect of some great discovery - but he can't have survived this long going out exploring if he can't defend himself, right?
<Xandhil> true.
<Xandhil> we do need to talk to them
<Justen> and then they'd get to see the ... cool artifacts and stuff first.
<Xandhil> yeah :)
<DiablotinNarrator> As you're conversing, you hear a faint sound from the direction away from the camp - like a few pebbles sliding down a slope.
* Justen immediately gets his flail ready again, in case it's more undead
* Xandhil also whirls to see what's going on
<DiablotinNarrator> A figure, human-sized, is standing about 50ft away from you.
* NPC1 is now known as Figure
* Figure has no weapons drawn, but has a longbow over its shoulder
<Figure> Peace, I mean you no harm.
* Figure speaks with a faint accent
<Justen> (not a Psyrene accent)
<Xandhil> uhh
<Xandhil> (wgat language are they speaking?)
<Xandhil> where did you come from?
<Figure> (let's say they repeated it in Aveyronnais and in Psyrene, just to be on the safe side)
<Xandhil> ('kk)
<Figure> I was camped nearby and heard sounds of a struggle. Is all well?
<Xandhil> yes...
* Figure continues in whichever language you picked
* Xandhil supposes he could have been nearby without us knowing and no one in the camp knowing or mentioning it >.>
<Xandhil> (Aveyronnais to make life easier on Justen)
<Figure> ('k)
<Xandhil> thanks
<Xandhil> I didn't know anyone not asspociated with the excavation was camped in the area
<Figure> I am a ... traveller. An explorer. I heard tell of this ... excavation, as you say, and thought I would come to see it.
* Figure speaks a little uncertainly, as if he's thinking of the words before he says them.
<Xandhil> where are you from?
* Xandhil asks conversationally, as if this isn't a totally suspicious encounter >.>
<Figure> Cozovodë.
<Xandhil> oh?
* Figure pronounces it right with the accent and everything ;)
* Figure steps close enough that you and Justen can see he is an elf.
<Xandhil> <c>Welcome
* Xandhil says but is a litte wary
<Figure> <c> Thank you. You speak my language, that's unusual.
<Xandhil> <c> My Father is from Cozovodë.
<Xandhil> But Justen doesn't speak it. I'm Xandhil.
* Figure has dark hair, straight and long enough to be braided back, his skin is a sort of tan/olive shade, and he is around your height, maybe an inch taller.
<Figure> Your father, you say?
* Figure takes a closer look at you
* Xandhil nods to Justen when he names him
<Xandhil> (Justen)
<Justen> Hello
* Xandhil nods
* Justen greets the traveller, still holding on to his weapon but not aggressive
* Xandhil wonders how racist this dude is >.>
<Figure> He gave you a name from our people.
* Xandhil nods
* Figure smiles a bit at that, you think - not in a bad way, but in a 'isn't that nice' sort of way.
<Figure> Then he hasn't forgotten where his ancestors came from. That is good.
<Xandhil> (lulz)
<DiablotinNarrator> (*g*)
* Xandhil nods because he knows his father's relationship with his heritage is Complicated but really knows almost nothing about it @_@
<Figure> It is good to meet you, Xandhil and Justen. I am Anxikaril.
* Figure is now known as Anxikaril
<Xandhil> nice to meet you too
<Xandhil> We're explorers as well
<Anxikaril> Are you with the group nearby?
<Xandhil> yes, but we just arrived today
* Anxikaril nods
<Anxikaril> Was there some difficulty here?
* Anxikaril asks, indicating the dead body lying nearby >.>
<Xandhil> yeah...
* Xandhil looks to Justen for input on how much we should be telling this guy
<Xandhil> We need to go back and make a report
<Justen> There seem to be some undead about. You should be careful, if you're staying nearby.
* Xandhil nods
<Anxikaril> I wondered...
<Anxikaril> It seems like the sort of place they might infest.
<Xandhil> yeah, no kidding -_-
<Anxikaril> If you would be willing, I would come camp near your site - for protection, and so that I could see the ruins as well.
* Xandhil nods
<Anxikaril> Very well. In the morning, then?
<Xandhil> Well, it isn't up to us - we're basically guests here ourselves, but you could come with us to talk to the head of the camp
<Anxikaril> or now, yes, that is fine
<DiablotinNarrator> heading back to the camp then?
<Xandhil> (yup!)
* Anxikaril will accompany you on your walk back to the camp (while you and Justen carry the ex-worker, now ex-ghoul)
* Anxikaril remains fairly quiet unless you are talking to him on the walk
<Xandhil> how did you hear about the excavation?
<Anxikaril> I passed through a village three days to the north, and people there were speaking about it.
<Anxikaril> They said it was the tomb of a great king, many centuries ago.
* Xandhil nods
<Xandhil> well, I guess we'll find ouT!
<Anxikaril> Have you ventured inside yet?
<Xandhil> no one has been very far yet - they want to study everything very carefully
* Anxikaril nods
<Anxikaril> It's good they are being cautious, then.
<Xandhil> It has some benefits, yes.
<Xandhil> the undead presence may change things
* Anxikaril nods again
<Anxikaril> The abominations will need to be cleansed from this place.
* Xandhil nods
<Anxikaril> I would be honoured to assist in such an effort, if my help would be welcome.
<Xandhil> (Can I sm him? I want to know if he might have ulterior motives >.>)
<DiablotinNarrator> (sure)
<Xandhil> !roll 1d20+11
* BalthCat rolls for Xandhil: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 16 ].
<Xandhil> (peh)
<Xandhil> well, again, that's not really up to us.
<DiablotinNarrator> You don't believe he's got ulterior motives, but he does seem pretty determined to kill some undead if presented with the opportunity
* Xandhil sizes him up better - what he got for weapons other than a longbow?
* Anxikaril also carries two shortswords.
<Xandhil> I'll definitelty mention it though
<Xandhil> have you done a lot of that sort of thing?
<Xandhil> I'm guessing yes, since you're traveling alone.
<Anxikaril> Travelling alone for many years, it's been necessary to fight in order to defend myself, or to rid the world of something that poses serious danger to others.
* Xandhil nods
<Anxikaril> It seems as if this place may fall into the later group.
<Xandhil> I tend to agree
<Justen> Yeah.
<Justen> I hope none of the others who are sick will die from it :/
<Xandhil> well
<Xandhil> we have that salve
<Anxikaril> People are unwell?
<Xandhil> yeah
<Justen> Yeah...
<Xandhil> i think they've been attacked by one of the undead
<Anxikaril> I may be able to assist them.
<Anxikaril> not very many of them, though... if there are cases that are especially grave, that might be best.
* Rum (~Rumor@63.142.161.6) has joined #changeling
* @Rumor (~Rumor@24-212-231-234.cable.teksavvy.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 201 seconds�)
<Justen> Do you have healing skills, or magic, or ...?
<Xandhil> This man was the first, and worst afflicted, I think
<Xandhil> I don't know if any of the others are as badly off
<Anxikaril> Magic - I am not strongly skilled in it, but I have a little power.
* Anxikaril nods
<DiablotinNarrator> You arrive back at camp about this time, and the sentries who were posted recognize you and are relieved to see you again, although puzzled by the new arrival.
<Xandhil> ("I'm a ranger, actually')
<DiablotinNarrator> (heh)
<DiablotinNarrator> ("I certainly do not have undead as a favoured enemy" ;)
<Xandhil> any activity?
<DiablotinNarrator> "It's been quiet," says the watchman.
<DiablotinNarrator> You can see that most of the camp is asleep, aside from those on watch, or a few tents where there is some quiet activity. Karala emerges from one of those with a basin, so presumably she is still tending to the ill.
<Xandhil> Let's take him back over to her, and you can check with her about the bad cases while we wake up the camp leader...
* Anxikaril nods
<Xandhil> (were 'him' = ex-ghoul and "you"=Anxikaril)
* Xandhil indicates who he means with nods since he is "helping" Justen ^-^
* Justen is now known as Karala
* Karala looks weary but not super stressed or anything
<Karala> I'm glad you've returned...
<Xandhil> how are they doing?
<Karala> The sick men seem to be resting well, and I hope with another day of care they'll recover.
<Xandhil> good
<Xandhil> it is definitely ghoul fever
* Karala nods
<Karala> Did the man who died...?
<Xandhil> this is Anxikaril - he has some healiong and might be able to help, if you think it is necessary at this point
* Xandhil nods
<Karala> Thank you, that's good to know, especially if any more cases develop. Right now I think they're doing well enough.
<Xandhil> okay
<Xandhil> more cases are a definite possibilty
<Xandhil> we saw the thing that I think is causing it... if there is only one... but it ran away
<Xandhil> we need to wake up Sleyght I think
* Karala looks concerned at that, but nods
<Anxikaril> If you need to rest, I would be willing to keep watch over the sick for the rest of the night.
* Anxikaril offers her.
<Karala> Well...
* Karala glances to you, a bit uncertain whether to trust this guy
<Xandhil> I think it will be okay
<Anxikaril> Perhaps you can show me which are ill, and what you have done for them so far, so that I can observe?
* Anxikaril says, trying to assuage her worry.
<Karala> Yes, all right.
* Karala will take him to see the sick folks.
* Rumor (~Rumor@24-212-231-234.cable.teksavvy.com) has joined #changeling
* ChanServ sets mode: +o Rumor
<Xandhil> (and I guess we go see Sleyght, if we can wake him up >.>)
<DiablotinNarrator> (yup)
* Rum (~Rumor@63.142.161.6) Quit (Ping timeout: 183 seconds�)
* Anxikaril is now known as Sleyght
* Karala is now known as Justen
* Xandhil will go listen at his tent for a sec just to see if he might be still awake and making notes or what have you >.>
* Sleyght sounds as if he's lying down but restless, you would say - tossing and turning
<Xandhil> Professor?
<Sleyght> Yes?
<Xandhil> I think we need to talk.
* Sleyght comes to the flap of his tent and peers out, putting on his glasses.
<Sleyght> Oh. Certainly, of course, come in.
<Xandhil> thanks
* Sleyght will open the shuttered lamp so there's light in the tent.
* Xandhil keeps his voice low
<Sleyght> What happened?
<Xandhil> So - I was right. It was ghoul fever. He started to try and get back up right around midnight
<Xandhil> :|
<Xandhil> Karala says the others are all doing better now, at least
<Xandhil> but there's more
* Sleyght nods, listening
<Xandhil> After we, uh, subdued him, another undead creature of some kind came out of the ground nearby
* Xandhil describes it, with the claws and such
<Xandhil> it was intelligent, and retreated how it had come after a couple of good hits from justen
<Sleyght> That sounds frightful.
<Sleyght> Some sort of more powerful ghoul, perhaps, if this is what was spreading the disease.
<Xandhil> and it said in some kind of ancient Psyrene something along the lines of "the general will be waiting for you."
<Sleyght> ... that's worrying.
<Xandhil> yeah
<Justen> <m> No kidding.
<Xandhil> I really don't think it is safe to go on with the excavation like this
<Sleyght> Yes... I don't want to put any more of the men at risk :/
<Xandhil> The place needs to be cleared out first
* Xandhil nods
* Sleyght considers
<Sleyght> To send back for reinforcements could take weeks.
<Xandhil> also, while we were out there we ran into an elf
<Sleyght> oh?
<Xandhil> he says he's a traveller and an explorer who heard about the site and wanted to see what was found, but he seemed interested in the possibility of killing undead
<Sleyght> well, that's certainly a fortuitous coincidence.
<Xandhil> Justen and I would be willing to help as well - I don't know who else here is qualified for that sort of thing, though
<Sleyght> I'm willing to venture inside, and I assume Professor Gyrus would want to go as well.
* Xandhil nods
<Sleyght> I'm not sure whether it would be best to send the workers home for now, or ask them to stay here in the event that something happens to us...
<Xandhil> maybe give them the choice?
* Sleyght nods
<Xandhil> if you pay them still while they're not working, at least some will still stay, for sure
<Sleyght> and I'm not sure what the healer would like to do... whether she needs to tend to them longer, or if she would need to return to her home, or if she might be willing to accompany us.
* Xandhil nods
<Justen> We can ask her.
<Xandhil> again, we can ask - I don't know of she has any experience with this sort of thing
<Xandhil> yeah
<Sleyght> I suppose we should discuss this further in the morning, when the others are awake and we have clearer heads.
* Xandhil nods
<Xandhil> we thought you shoudl be told sooner rather than later at least.
<Sleyght> Thank you, I appreciate it, and also your willingness to help.
<Xandhil> And Anxikaril - the elf - also wanted to know if he could camp with us for safety
<Xandhil> though I am not sure if he meant his our ours :p
<Sleyght> Oh - yes, I don't see why not.
<Xandhil> okay, I'll let him know
<Xandhil> he was helping karala
* Sleyght nods
<Sleyght> Now that the tomb is open, we certainly can't leave it like this... even if it wouldn't mean giving up on one of the greatest archaeological finds of all time.
<Xandhil> exactly!
* Sleyght smiles wanly.
<Sleyght> I only hope the discovery won't cost any more lives :/
<Xandhil> hopefully not, now that we have some idea what to expect...
<Sleyght> Hopefully so.
<Xandhil> anyway, I'll go talk to Anixkaril, and we shoudl get some rest
<Sleyght> I hope you're able to rest, indeed. Good night.
* Justen steps outside the tent with you
<Xandhil> alright them :|
<Justen> Talk to Anxiwhatsit, then bed?
<Xandhil> yup
<Xandhil> come on
<Xandhil> Cozovode names aren't that hard ;p
<Justen> I'm sleepy :/
<Justen> Anxikaril.
* Justen says to make you happy ;)
<Xandhil> ^-^
<Xandhil> okay
* Sleyght is now known as Anxikaril
* Xandhil goes back to the healer's tent
<Xandhil> Did Karala go get some rest?
<Anxikaril> Yes, she looked as if she was worn out. These men are resting well, and there isn't much to be done tonight unless something changes.
<Anxikaril> I promised I would wake her if it did, though.
* Xandhil nods
<Xandhil> We talked to Professor Sleyght, he said you are welsome to stay and that we could used the help once clearing the place out
<Xandhil> we're going to make plans in the morning
<Anxikaril> All right.
* Xandhil nods
<Anxikaril> I'll have to return to my camp to get my things, but then I will be ready to investigate further.
<Xandhil> Justen and I are going to get some rest as well right now, but we can find you in the morning
<Anxikaril> Very well.
<Anxikaril> Good night, Xandhil and Justen.
<Xandhil> thanks then, and goodnight to you as well
<Justen> Yes, good night.
* Justen will gratefully fall into bed once you are back in your tent
* Xandhil will then head back...yes that ^-^
* Xandhil snuggles up
<Xandhil> this is gonna be so awesome isn't it?
<Justen> I hope it won't be awful, at least.
* Justen snuggles you
<Xandhil> it won't be all awful
<Xandhil> I'll be there ^-^
<Justen> true :)
<Justen> and you'll be all excited over old carvings and dusty artifacts so you'll be adorable ;)
<Xandhil> unhuh
* Justen gives you a kiss before he falls asleep :3
* Xandhil limpets and tries not to be too excited to sleep ^-^