Homoventures Chapter 3, Part 6

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Homoventures session logs
Previous Homoventures Chapter 3, Part 6 Next

Summary

Xan and Justen journey to the city with Ardent. On the way, they see various disturbing symptoms of the plane's decay. They arrive in Andusk and Ardent takes them to the undercity, where they overhear the news that Father Willem has been captured.

Session

Session date:
Diablotin date:

[DiablotinNarrator] So, you and Justen and Ardent set off on your way. [DiablotinNarrator] There is something like a road, but really it's just a space where there aren't trees. [DiablotinNarrator] The trees are very regular/non-specific, as you had previously noticed - evenly spaced and without much variety to them.

  • Ardent seems to know where he is going, at least.
  • Xandhil follows, mostly stopping himself from asking stupid questions

[Xandhil] (what's the ground like in the space?) [DiablotinNarrator] (quite even and flat... some texture in the way of grass-like-substance or rock-like-substance in places, but not the variety of stuff you would find on the ground in the real world) [Justen] Is it like this all the way to the city? [Justen] We came through the woods more, not on the road. [Justen] I guess I thought the road would be more... obvious.

  • Ardent gives him a bit of a funny look, but shakes his head.

[Ardent] No, the road gets more... obvious as we get closer, you were right. There will probably be more people there too. [Xandhil] (heh, that was what I wasn't asking ;) [Xandhil] people we should be wary of? [Ardent] It's hard to say. Probably they'll keep their distance from us, I think we look scary enough :p [Ardent] But it's possible there could be bandits. [Xandhil] figures... [Ardent] We'll keep on guard.

  • Ardent says with a shrug.
  • Xandhil nods

[DiablotinNarrator] You travel along, mostly uneventfully for that day. It's starting to get dark, and Ardent is starting to look around for a reasonable place to camp. [DiablotinNarrator] (over to roll20) [DiablotinNarrator] [fight with a shadowy blob thing that Ardent called a 'breach', when it was 'killed' it shriveled up and seemed to shrink into a smaller and smaller space until it disappeared]

  • Xandhil rushes over to check on Justen after the thing shrivels up
  • Justen and Ardent are both fairly injured, and Ardent looks seriously unimpressed

[Justen] I'm okay... I think. [Xandhil] okay [Xandhil] you? [Ardent] More or less.

  • Xandhil gets out his wand
  • Ardent eyes it uncertainly

[Xandhil] It's healing [Xandhil] here

  • Xandhil will 9try) and uses it on Justen

[Xandhil] !roll 1d20+15

  • @BalthCat rolls for Xandhil: [ 1d20+15 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 15 ] totals [ 29 ].

[Xandhil] (that should do ;p) [Justen] (yup)

  • Xandhil will use 2 charges on Justen to start

[Justen] (ok)

  • Ardent grudgingly accepts that it's not going to hurt him...

[Ardent] That wasn't good... [Xandhil] no

  • Ardent says grimly

[Xandhil] what was that thing?

  • Xandhil will also use 2 on Ardent

[Ardent] A breach in the plane... [Xandhil] !roll 2d8+2

  • @BalthCat rolls for Xandhil: [ 2d8+2 ] getting [ 2 2 ] for a total of [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 2 ] totals [ 6 ].

[Xandhil] (on Justen) [Xandhil] !roll 2d8+2

  • @BalthCat rolls for Xandhil: [ 2d8+2 ] getting [ 3 3 ] for a total of [ 6 ] which, after the modifier [ 2 ] totals [ 8 ].

[Ardent] Shadow trying to get in. [Xandhil] huh [Ardent] I guess, anyway. I'm not an expert on that sort of shit, but that's what I heard.

  • Xandhil nods

[Ardent] Like this place's ... walls, or whatever, aren't quite strong enough anymore to keep other things out.

  • Xandhil is not satisfied with that level of healing, and will pop 1 more on each
  • Xandhil nods

[Xandhil] right [Xandhil] that makes sense [Ardent] Someday it might just give way entirely. [Xandhil] I just hadn't ever seen one before [Xandhil] hmm [Ardent] They're getting worse. [Justen] Do they happen everywhere, even in the city? I've never seen one either. [Xandhil] I wonder if this place would just.... wind up on the Shadow plane, and what would happen then [Xandhil] !roll 1d8+1

  • @BalthCat rolls for Xandhil: [ 1d8+1 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 1 ] totals [ 3 ].

[Ardent] I guess it's possible - but more often out here, where things aren't as solid. [Xandhil] !roll 1d8+1

  • @BalthCat rolls for Xandhil: [ 1d8+1 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 1 ] totals [ 3 ].
  • Xandhil looks at his wand, frustrated

[Ardent] It's okay... I feel better anyway. [Justen] Yeah... thank you. [Xandhil] alright - as long as we dont' run in to anything else

  • Xandhil puts it away

[Xandhil] sometimes it is easier to make it work :p [Ardent] Maybe we should move on a bit before we make camp. [Xandhil] that seems like a good idea, if this area is 'weaker'... [Ardent] I don't really want to sleep right where that thing was... in case it comes back or something. [Xandhil] yeah

  • Ardent nods.
  • Ardent will head further down the 'road' before selecting another site to make camp, then.
  • Xandhil will help set up, since he si the only one not hurt and all ;)

[DiablotinNarrator] Did you have anything you wanted to talk about with either Justen or Ardent or both before sleep? Ardent is probably inclined to just stay quiet unless you talk to him. [Xandhil] (not particularly) [Xandhil] (Not gonna say anythign about the maging?) [DiablotinNarrator] (fair, he might ask about that( [Ardent] Didn't know you could cast spells. [Xandhil] its not the sort of thing I like to advertise [Ardent] That's fair. [Ardent] Probably a better surprise that way.

  • Xandhil shrugs

[Xandhil] it attracts attention [Ardent] Yeah? [Ardent] You get some attention you didn't want?

  • Xandhil shrugs again and glances at Justen

[Xandhil] nothing we haven't been able to handle, yet [Xandhil] I get enough attention I don't want, though [Ardent] Yeah? Because you're pretty, or what? [Xandhil] yeah [Xandhil] and because I look Cozovode [Ardent] Right... they're kind of touchy about all that. [Xandhil] yeah [Ardent] 'Mixing blood' and all that bullshit. Like it matters at this point.

  • Ardent looks grumpy about all of that, anyway.
  • Xandhil gives him a sympathetic look

[Xandhil] Cesar told me about your girl [Ardent] yeah? [Xandhil] well, that she's kind of with the embassy, anyway [Ardent] She's hardly even Cozovode... like... a quarter, or something? I don't know exactly, but she looks even less like them than you do. But they still get all jerky about it.

  • Xandhil nods

[Xandhil] yeah... [Ardent] I tell her she should leave there, but ... I don't know. I guess it's home for her. [Xandhil] they probably look after her, at least? [Ardent] yeah... they have good access to supplies, anyway [Xandhil] Who through? [Ardent] I'm not really sure. I guess they have connections, but I don't know who they are.

  • Xandhil nods

[Ardent] I don't exactly hang around there a lot... ].] [Xandhil] fair enough [Ardent] She's so gorgeous though... she's not like anyone else.

  • Ardent says wistfully.

[Xandhil] heh [Xandhil] I know how you feel

  • Xandhil says, glancing Justen's way
  • Justen smiles too

[Justen] Yeah... [Ardent] I just hope she hasn't given up on me since I've been gone... found someone else ... ].] [Justen] Would she, that fast? I mean you haven't been gone *that* long, right?

  • Ardent shrugs.

[Ardent] [m] maybe. [Xandhil] I guess we'll see

  • Ardent nods

[Xandhil] even if she's been messing around with someone though, it doesn't mean it's anything serious [Ardent] yeah... I just hate to think of her with anybody else.

  • Xandhil nods

[Justen] That's fair...

  • Justen says, as if he at all understands 'jealousy'
  • Xandhil rolls his eyes

[Xandhil] anyway [Xandhil] do you think we'll make it back tomorrow? [Ardent] Yeah, barring any other problems, we should. [Xandhil] okay [Xandhil] I'm going to get some rest, then [Ardent] Good idea.

  • Ardent will take the first watch, then.
  • Justen will take the second, leaving you for the early watch...

[Xandhil] (wheee) [DiablotinNarrator] The night passes uneventfully... [DiablotinNarrator] The next day, you set off again. The closer you get to the city, the more 'real' things start to seem - more variation, more detail, etc. [DiablotinNarrator] Around about the middle of the day, the sky darkens as you pass into the twilight zone. (hee)

  • Xandhil tries not to gawk too obviously

[Xandhil] . o O (yay Cozovode eyes)

  • Ardent sighs contentedly at that

[Ardent] Finally... [Ardent] too bright out there. [Xandhil] yeah....

  • Justen nods in 'agreement'

[Ardent] So, what's the plan when we get back? You guys have somewhere to go?

  • Justen glances at you

[Xandhil] not that we can go back gto right away, no [Ardent] ... do you need someplace to stay?

  • Ardent offers sort of grudgingly, but not insincerely
  • Xandhil looks to Justen

[Justen] Well... do you have a place? [Ardent] Not exactly... not one big enough to share, anyway. I could get you into the undercity, though - there's lots of places to hide out down there, as long as you don't piss anyone off. [Justen] I don't know... that might be good, I guess? [Xandhil] oh - uh - that would be great. We can be real unobtrusive

  • Justen looks to you
  • Ardent nods, then

[Ardent] I'll have to lie low for a while too - but I'll show you where you can get in touch with me if you need to. [Xandhil] great, we appreciate it [Ardent] sure. I appreciate you guys helping me get home, so we're even.

  • Xandhil nods at that
  • Justen as well

[DiablotinNarrator] You continue on your way towards the city, then. As promised, more people can be seen the closer you get - people with carts bringing in whatever meagre supplies, thin and desperate-looking folks heading away from the city... [Xandhil] . o O (No wonder pavo didn't believe we were refugees...) [DiablotinNarrator] The city has gates, but they're sort of half-assedly guarded at best. [DiablotinNarrator] It's mostly just chaos going in and out of the walls. [DiablotinNarrator] It's weird because it kind of reminds you of home, but then you'll see things - weird architecture, shadar-kai in a litter carried by slaves - and suddenly it's very alien again

  • Xandhil tries to make like his glancing arounds is nerves and not fascination
  • Justen tries not to gawk at half-naked ladies and such ].]
  • Ardent keeps a wary eye out
  • Ardent leads you to a somewhat quieter street, and then down a narrow little alley
  • Xandhil tries to orient himself based o his knowledge of the real city, so that he might be able to find his way back here again

[Xandhil] (I mean, yes, we could just teleport, but hey... ].])

  • Ardent stops behind a pile of crates and taps on a grate with his foot
  • Ardent then bends down to open it, after what may have been a signal, or just a warning

[Ardent] down here...

  • Xandhil nods, paying attention to what he's doing
  • Justen will follow him down

[DiablotinNarrator] The tunnel you descend into is dank, smelling of mildew but at least not sewage.

  • Xandhil follows along, keeping a sharp eye out
  • Xandhil wonders if there are navigational markers or anything

[DiablotinNarrator] Eventually you come up against a heavy iron door with a narrow slit in it for seeing through. [Ardent] Hey - open up. [DiablotinNarrator] "Password?" [DiablotinNarrator] says a voice on the other side [Xandhil] . o O (Really?)

  • Ardent rolls his eyes a bit
  • Xandhil eyes Justen

[Ardent] Password is, let me in or I'll kick your ass, Savid, I know it's you. [Xandhil] . o O (Casters are probably less common here?) [DiablotinNarrator] "Who are they?" [DiablotinNarrator] the voice is suspicious [Xandhil] . o O (especially ones who know Knock -_-) [Ardent] They helped me out, so I'm helping them - they need a place to stay for a bit, that's all. [Xandhil] We won't be any trouble, I swear. [Ardent] Now seriously, let me in, or I'll tell your mom you were being a dick. [DiablotinNarrator] The door opens slowly - and probably a bit reluctantly. There's a young man standing on the other side, reddish-blond hair, pale skin. [Savid] If they make trouble, you know what'll happen. [Ardent] Yeah, yeah. They won't. [Xandhil] (is there anyone else on the other side, or just the kid?) [DiablotinNarrator] There are some other people a little further down - keeping an eye on things, but not immediately guarding the doorway. [Ardent] Come on... I'll take you as far as I'm going, anyway. [Xandhil] right, thanks [DiablotinNarrator] The door shuts behind you with a clang. [DiablotinNarrator] You move further into the undercity. There are definitely people here, lots of people - mostly all humans, as far as you can see so far anyway. They mostly avoid you, but you can tell they're watching you.

  • Ardent eventually leads you into a larger open area - a market of sorts, although there's not too much for sale at the moment.
  • Xandhil feels self-conscious
  • Ardent heads up to an arched doorway, covered by a cloth with a symbol painted on it - a rising (or setting?) sun

[Ardent] This is the closest thing to an inn here - you might have some luck getting a room, anyway, if there are any going. [Ardent] Until you find someplace more permanent. [Xandhil] thanks [Ardent] yeah, no problem [Ardent] if you leave word here, I'll get it - maybe not fast, but eventually.

  • Xandhil nods

[DiablotinNarrator] "Ardent?!" [Xandhil] I guess the same - if you need to find us, even if we don't-

  • Xandhil pauses when he hears the voice

[DiablotinNarrator] a woman's voice exclaims

  • Ardent turns around hastily, then relaxes when he sees who it is

[Ardent] Oh, it's just you. [Woman] Just me? :p

  • Woman is a young woman, probably about 20 or so, short, with curly black hair that's rather like Ardent's.

[Ardent] Yeah, well... you're not going to tell Dad I'm back, are you, Ysra? [Ysra] I ought to, after that :p

  • Ysra is probably his sister, by the looks of things
  • Xandhil guesses based on the name @_@
  • Ysra also looks disconcertingly like one of Justen's sisters... or his mom...
  • Justen sort of blinks and looks a bit stunned

[Ardent] Look, just give me a little while - I'll go talk to him myself, I promise.

  • Xandhil takes his hand

[Ysra] Hmph. [Xandhil] (Justen's)

  • Justen squeezes your hand tight

[Ysra] I won't... yet. But if you don't come home in a few days and explain yourself, I'll tell him I saw you here. [Ardent] Okay. Thanks. [Ardent] I brought home some food at least...

  • Ardent opens his bag and brings out some stuff he apparently stashed from Pavo's house - dried fruit and a couple pounds of oats and a bottle that's probably wine.
  • Ysra 's eyes widen but she tries not to look too swayed by this gesture.

[Ysra] I'll take them home... [Ardent] No way. I'll bring them when I'm ready to talk - then they can't be too angry.

  • Ardent puts the stuff away again quickly
  • Xandhil smirks, raising his eyebrows at ysra

[Xandhil] If I were you, I'd demand a bribe [Ysra] Yeah.. I think I could take that bottle, at least. [Ysra] It's heavy, and if you break it when you're running around and hiding in holes or whatever you're doing, what good does that do anyone? [Ardent] Fine. Take it, but don't tell them where you got it, okay?

  • Ysra takes it and puts it in a basket she's carrying, hiding it under some scraps of other stuff

[Ysra] Not a word. [Ysra] ... I'm glad you're back.

  • Ysra says before she turns and hurries off.

[Ardent] :/ [Xandhil] sister? [Ardent] Yeah.. youngest. [Ardent] well, only one that I know ].] [Ardent] Anyway, I should get going - take care, okay? [Xandhil] right - you too

  • Ardent nods and heads off in the opposite direction from his sister.
  • Xandhil looks over at Justen

[Justen] [w] weird. [Xandhil] yeah... [Justen] probably only going to get weirder, huh?

  • Justen manages a little bit of a smile

[Xandhil] probably [Xandhil] so far it;s just been Cesar [Xandhil] shall we, then? [Justen] yeah, I guess we shall [Xandhil] or do you think we should bypass this place compeltely? [Justen] I don't know... if this is the only place to get a room, maybe at least we can stay a little while, until we find someplace better? [Xandhil] okay [Justen] and maybe people come here to gossip, too. [Xandhil] that's true [Xandhil] I wouldn't mind having a room to hide out in for a while

  • Xandhil sighs
  • Justen nods

[Justen] just us, hm? :) [Xandhil] yeh [Xandhil] just us

  • Justen draws back the curtain to head inside, then

[DiablotinNarrator] Inside it's dark and a bit smoky - poorly ventilated - but there is the smell of cooking meat. A few people are gathered around a table talking, and there's a bar with a tired-looking woman standing behind it. [DiablotinNarrator] As you enter, you hear one of the men at the table say something that catches your attention: "... and they captured Father Willem!" [DiablotinNarrator] (dun dun duuuuun.) [Xandhil] (eep!) [DiablotinNarrator] (until next time ....) [Xandhil] (oooOOOOoooo... :D)