Hayley talks to Diamond, then she makes up to Janus, 7/17/2005
- Hayley dresses in an Empire-style sundress, with a high waist and long skirt, and a navy blue sash at the waistline. Her hair is up in
an elaborate pony tail with little curlicues left loose to frame her face.
- Hayley fastens the necklace Janus gave her shorter than usual so it fits more like a choker, with a long tail at the nape of her neck.
<Hayley> (I forgot to say that the dress is white, with that navy sash)
- Hayley arrives at the anteroom a few minutes early so that the Queen does not have to wait on her, which would be very discourteous.
<Diamond> (you are called to an audience in the music room)
- Hayley arrives a few minutes early there, then, so as not to be discourteous. :)
- Hayley goes through the usual formalities in terms of announcements, etc.
- Hayley of course curtseys deeply when she is shown in to the Queen's presence.
- Diamond is seated at the harpsichord, wearing an elegant one-shouldered gown constructed from panels of silver-grey silk. Finely-crafted
silver bracelets curl vinelike from her wrists to her elbows, and the sun from the window sparkles through the small crystal crown set in her hair.
- Hayley smiles; Diamond is so beautiful, as always.
- Diamond is playing a complicated and haunting melody, something quite unlike anything you have heard before.
- Hayley 's ears are pricked attentively; she does love music.
- Hayley just listens quietly, standing at a respectful distance, so the Queen can address her at her leisure.
- Diamond finishes the section she is playing, then shuffles the sheets of music together and sets them aside.
<Diamond> Good afternoon, Hayley... <Hayley> Good afternoon, Your Majesty.
- Hayley curtseys again as she addresses you.
<Hayley> (How well does Diamond look?) <Diamond> (she looks alright to you... not that you're any kind of expert)
- Diamond turns to sit on the corner of her bench.
- Hayley smiles.
- Diamond looks you over...
<Diamond> Have you been enjoying the fine weather we've been having? <Hayley> Not as much as I should like to, Your Majesty. It has been lovely. <Hayley> . o O (But it's hard to go out and enjoy oneself when one is worried about Janus...) <Hayley> And you? <Diamond> Yes, quite so.
- Hayley smiles again.
<Hayley> I'm glad. It is good to see you looking so well.
- Diamond gracefully crosses her legs, sitting with perfect posture.
- Hayley is still standing at a respectful distance but close enough that she can converse in a normal tone of voice.
<Diamond> I have been feeling much better.
- Hayley nods. She does really look glad to see you looking so strong.
<Hayley> (How many servants are around?)
- Hayley seems a bit shy around you, too. A little uncertain maybe. If Dovev's around, she smells nervous.
<Hayley> (awkward pause...? ;D) <Diamond> (there are a few standing back by the door... you don't see Dovev) <Hayley> (Am I expected to speak or does she have more to say?) <Diamond> (waiting for you apparently)
- Hayley blushes awkwardly at her making you wait.
<Hayley> I... well, I hoped you might be able to offer me some advice, Your Majesty.
- Hayley isn't sure what all Windrider would have told her.
<Hayley> About Prince Janus, since you and he are very close. <Hayley> . o O (Closer than me and him, even. :/ )
- Diamond waits for you to finish, her expression unreadable.
- Hayley wonders if you'll send the servants away like the King did or not.
- Hayley 's eyes have shadows in them... she is obviously troubled over Janus.
- Diamond rises fluidly from her seat.
<Diamond> Walk with me.
- Hayley falls in beside you as commanded.
- Diamond crosses the room to stand by one of the tall windows. The servants, on the opposite side of the room, are well out of earshot as
long as you keep your voice under control.
- Hayley looks up at you respectfully. She wants me to go on?
<Hayley> (Or does she have something to say first?) <Diamond> I have heard about what happened in Concordia.
- Hayley nods.
- Diamond says, keeping her expression neutral.
<Hayley> He seems very depressed. :/ <Diamond> Quite... <Hayley> Well... I'm not sure who he's most upset with, Rachel or I. I think with me, though, he has trouble believing I trust him. <Hayley> At least, we have had two conversations where the issue of trust was brought up in the recent past. <Diamond> He is not upset *with* either of you. <Diamond> Rather I would say, 'about...' <Hayley> Oh...
- Diamond 's features are carefully schooled; to a casual observer she might merely be discussing the marine weather forecast with you.
<Diamond> But you are correct that he is... disheartened at your lack of faith.
- Hayley is conscious of the servants as well and is keeping her voice very well modulated and her features schooled.
- Hayley looks unhappy about that.
<Hayley> Well, the thing is, I *do* trust him... It's the Tuatha de Danaan I don't trust. <Hayley> I tried to tell him that, but I can't seem to make myself clear. <Hayley> And at this point, I'm not sure whether I ought to bring it up again, or just leave him alone, or what. <Diamond> Love sometimes requires risks and sacrifices, my dear.
- Hayley nods.
<Hayley> I know that... <Diamond> Janus risks much for you, and though he is aware of the danger, he thinks little of it. He believes that the potential gains far
outweigh the risks.
<Diamond> And he takes it for granted that you would feel the same.
- Hayley nods again.
<Diamond> When you balk at his offers... after all that has happened... <Diamond> Well. <Diamond> Among other things, one begins to wonder if you simply lack the stomach for immortality...
- Diamond idly fingers an earring, looking bored.
- Hayley bites her lip and looks away briefly.
<Hayley> I guess I can see how it might look that way. <Hayley> I want to be with him, though... <Hayley> I'm better equipped to do so this time, I think. <Hayley> It is just hard to brush the Tuatha de Danaan aside when the wrath of one has influenced me so much for so long. <Hayley> Not only me, but him.
- Diamond crosses her arms over her chest, still gazing impassively out the window.
<Diamond> You need to decide, child, whether you will be ruled by love, or by fear. <Hayley> ... <Hayley> I would prefer love. <Hayley> (Does she seem to have anything more to say or would she like this audience to end?) <Diamond> (well, she isn't saying anything atm)
- Hayley 's expression is composed once more.
<Hayley> Well, thank you, Your Majesty, for your time. <Diamond> You are welcome.
- Diamond nods in your direction.
- Hayley curtseys, taking that as her dismissal...
<Diamond> If the weather is pleasant this Sunday, I would like to have an afternoon on the south beach with the family. <Diamond> Before the boys leave. <Hayley> Oh? That sounds lovely.
- Hayley smiles.
<Hayley> (I take it the implication is that I am invited too) <Diamond> (seems to be) <Diamond> Keep it in mind, then...
- Diamond gives you a small but dazzling smile.
- Hayley smiles beautifully back. :)
<Hayley> I shall.
- Hayley curtseys once more.
<Hayley> I hope you have a good afternoon, Your Majesty. <Diamond> And you. <Hayley> Thank you. <Hayley> (One more curtsey I guess... let me go! ;_; ) <Hayley> ( ;D ) <Diamond> (yeah yeah... get out!) <Hayley> (every time you talk to me it seems like a dismissal so I curtsey, then you say something else so I have to stay and curtsey
again! ;D )
- Hayley takes her leave of the Queen, uncertain still how to fix things but with a number of things to think about.
- Hayley will seek Janus out when she has the opportunity.
- Janus is in your room.
- Janus is only half-dressed by his usual standards, wearing just a simple linen shirt and trousers. He is sprawled across one side of the
bed, apparently asleep despite the fact that it is only about 4:30 in the afternoon.
- Hayley is in the same outfit she wore during her audience with the Queen, though it has been some time since she left Diamond's presence.
- Hayley glides gracefully up to your side of the bed.
- Hayley wonders if he is asleep or not.
- Janus has a nearly-empty glass of red wine on the nightstand beside him.
- Janus does not respond, anyway.
- Hayley seats herself on the edge of the mattress and lays her hand on your cheek.
<Hayley> Janus. <Hayley> (Any reaction? Is he, um, breathing?) <Janus> (yes, he seems quite warm and alive :p) <Hayley> (hee) <Hayley> (Passed out though? :P ) <Janus> (how can you tell the difference?) <Hayley> (Well, I've touched you. You might have frowned slightly or something.) <Janus> <m> mah...
- Janus turns his head to face the other way.
- Hayley withdraws her hand.
- Hayley lays her hands in her lap.
<Hayley> I was just talking to someone who knows you very well, and is pretty wise. <Hayley> And do you know what she said to me?
- Janus does not really seem to be awake yet
- Janus shifts slightly.
<Janus> <m> What?
- Janus mumbles groggily.
<Janus> <m> What are you talking about... <Hayley> You. Us. I'm talking about us. <Hayley> She said to me that I have to decide between either love or fear... <Hayley> And I choose you. I choose love.
- Janus opens his eyes and props himself up on his elbows.
<Hayley> So... you should get cracking on that research of yours, and to hell with what anyone else thinks. Because you are what's
important to me. You, and only you.
- Janus looks you over.
Do you really mean that?
- Janus says in a somewhat small and apprehensive voice.
- Hayley smiles at you shyly.
- Hayley nods.
<Hayley> I do.
- Hayley slides her hand along the coverlet, catching one of yours and squeezing it gently.
<Janus> I... I don't know what to say... <Hayley> You could say "I'd better get to work right away, then!" <Janus> ... Thank you.
- Hayley shrugs.
<Hayley> I love you.
- Hayley says simply.
- Janus sits up and puts an arm around your shoulders.
- Hayley leans her head on your arm.
I love you... I won't let anything happen to you.
- Hayley turns so she can look up at you.
I know. I know you won't.
- Hayley says, with a great deal of trust.
- Janus leans over and kisses the top of your head, still smelling faintly of wine.
<Hayley> Do you have any of that left? <Janus> Any what?
- Hayley points with her chin at the wine. ^-^
<Janus> Oh... <Janus> Some... in the other room.
- Hayley nods.
<Hayley> Have you had enough? <Janus> Enough for what? <Hayley> For now. :) <Hayley> Because maybe we should put the rest away for a romantic dinner by candlelight or something.
- Hayley smiles.
<Janus> Well... okay... <Hayley> All right. I'll be right back.
- Hayley puts the alcohol away so you can't drink more, because if you smell of it, you've had quite enough! >:(
- Hayley comes right back, as promised.
<Hayley> There. <Janus> You were talking to my mother?
- Hayley nods.
- Hayley settles back down on the bed beside you.
<Hayley> Is that okay?
- Hayley interlaces her fingers with yours and looks up at you.
<Janus> I suppose so... I'm just... surprised. <Hayley> Surprised?
- Hayley smiles.
<Hayley> Why? <Janus> Well... because I didn't think you found her that easy to talk to... even now. <Janus> A lot of people don't... <Hayley> I don't. But it seemed very important. <Hayley> So I couldn't let a little residual fear get in the way. <Hayley> Anyway... she invited us to a farewell get-together on the south beach Sunday, if the weather stays fine... For Tally, you know. <Hayley> It sounds like fun, don't you think? :) <Janus> Oh?
- Hayley nods.
<Janus> Well, sure... <Hayley> I'll have to find something to wear that won't be too immodest when soaked... Hmm. <Janus> Just bring something to wear over ... whatever... That's what Mother does.
- Hayley nods, smiling at your befuddled state in spite of her concern for your alcoholism!
<Hayley> I'll see what I can find then. <Hayley> Will you swim, too? <Janus> If it's nice... <Hayley> Well, the whole thing's going to occur only if it's nice, so it had better be! <Hayley> What's the appropriate etiquette for a royal family gathering? <Hayley> Same as usual? <Janus> If the sea is nice... <Janus> AH... <Janus> Well... you don't have to curtsey after everything Mother says if that's what you mean... <Hayley> What about speaking myself? <Hayley> I usually wait until addressed by the royal personage in question, excepting of course you and the children. <Janus> Oh... <Janus> That should be allright... <Janus> It's not like... a formal audience or anything
- Hayley nods.
<Hayley> Great! <Janus> I think you have a fair grasp of what's appropriate... <Hayley> I assume splashing the King or Queen would be out of the question, but how about you? ^-^ <Janus> Definitely... definitely out of the question. <Hayley> And splashing you? <Janus> Absolutely <Hayley> Out of the question?
- Hayley pouts.
<Janus> Out of the question. <Hayley> Oh... <Hayley> What about the young princes? ^-^ <Hayley> Can I splash *them*, at least, or is there to be no splashing at all? <Janus> At your own risk... <Janus> Oh, oh... <Janus> Not Aidan.
- Janus says as if remembering something.
<Janus> He can't swim... he is very cautious of the sea. <Hayley> All right. <Hayley> Well, if he's not in the water, it would be hard to splash him anyway. <Hayley> So, I am limited to Tally then! Unless Windrider is a safe target. Dovev is probably absolutely unsplashable too. <Janus> He likes the water... <Hayley> Yes but he has a certain dignity about him. <Hayley> That one wouldn't wish to infringe uninvited. <Janus> Windrider ... <Janus> You be careful <Hayley> A caution against Windrider?
- Hayley grins.
<Janus> He is without mercy! :( <Hayley> Well, retaliation is at least half the point of splashing! <Hayley> You *expect* to get splashed back. And then it becomes a splashfest until everyone wearily pulls themselves out of the water. <Hayley> It's *fun*. <Hayley> You're sure you are not eligible to be splashed? <Janus> Yes, quite sure..!
- Janus says adamantly.
<Hayley> Oh, okay. <Hayley> ...
- Hayley seems disappointed but then brightens.
<Hayley> What about dunking? <Hayley> ^-^ <Janus> Noooooooo... :( <Hayley> Pulling under like Jaws?
- Janus shakes his head.
<Hayley> Not even pulling you under to steal a kiss? <Janus> Why are you so intent on my near-drowning? <Janus> oh... <Janus> Well, maybe then... <Hayley> Oh, is that so...? <Hayley> I'll hold you to it. <Hayley> ^-^
- Janus grins a bit lopsidedly.
<Hayley> We should make sand sculptures, too.
- Hayley says thoughtfully.
<Janus> If the tide is out... <Hayley> In teams or individually? <Janus> I guess it depends on how many people want to do it. <Hayley> You and me vs. the twins vs. their Majesties vs. WR and Dovev would be fun. ^-^ <Hayley> But you're probably right that not so many would want to have *fun*! <Janus> Well, I wouldn't hold your breath, my dear... <Hayley> Oh! <Hayley> We should see who can hold their breath longest underwater, too! <Hayley> ... <Hayley> Probably Dovev would win. <Janus> Haha, probably...! <Hayley> But he might not! I have a great lung capacity. Being a singer and all. :) <Janus> He has... great skills! <Hayley> Minus reat and sk? <Hayley> That would be interesting... :o <Janus> (... what?) <Hayley> (great - reat = g; skills - sk = ills. G + ills = gills. ) <Janus> ...
- Hayley grins.
<Hayley> I was the best speller in my grade. <Janus> Congratulations? <Janus> I don't think he has, anyway... He's just like... a crocodile, or what have you... <Hayley> Yeah, probably not. <Hayley> But he's got bigger lungs as a dragon and probably a slower metabolism. <Hayley> Anyway... <Hayley> What other fun things can we think of? <Janus> Is that our job? <Janus> Are we the entertainment committee? <Janus> :V <Hayley> (empathy, is he bored? :/) <Janus> (no... he thinks it's kind of funny that you think we have to plan out activities) <Hayley> No, I'm just anticipating... <Hayley> I'm excited. <Hayley> Is that not obvious? ^-^ <Janus> It's just the beach; it's there allll year...
- Janus is teasing you a bit.
<Hayley> Yeah, but when do we all go as a *family*?
- Hayley smiles; she knows.
<Hayley> (But going as a family is very exciting for her, apparently! ;D ) <Janus> It should be interesting.
- Janus lies back on the pillow.
- Hayley lies back as well and cuddles up to you.
<Hayley> Tired? <Janus> Mmm. Just... relaxed...
- Janus puts his arm around you again, and twirls a bit of your hair around his finger.
- Hayley snuggles even closer.
- Hayley smiles happily and tilts her head so she can rest her eyes on your handsome and beloved features.
- Janus smiles back at you...
- Janus 's eyes seem to drift out of focus, though, as if he were somewhere else for a moment or two.
- Hayley watches him with a curious/puzzled expression on her face, and a bit of concern...
- Janus snaps out of it quickly enough.
- Hayley reaches up and lays her hand gently on your cheek.
<Hayley> Are you all right, love? <Janus> Mm-hm...
- Janus turns into your touch and lightly kisses your hand.
<Hayley> You just seemed... to go somewhere else for a moment there.
- Hayley smiles at the kiss, though she is still rather concerned.
<Janus> Oh, I was just thinking about something... <Janus> Don't worry about it.
- Janus smiles fondly at you.
<Hayley> Very well.
- Hayley strokes your cheek lightly with her thumb.
<Hayley> This is nice... just lying here, with you.
- Janus sighs contentedly.
<Janus> I know... I don't want to move at all. <Hayley> Then let's not...
- Janus cuddles you closer.
<Janus> Sounds lovely...
- Hayley is very warm, and her skin is so soft, and she smells so prettily of apples and a hint of roses.
- Hayley sighs happily.