Diamond welcomes Hayley into the family, 6/26/2005
- Hayley says good-bye to Janus as he heads off to talk to Michael.
- Hayley tries to seem brave but there are shadows in her eyes.
- Hayley steels herself and gets the page or knight or whoever is guarding the door to go through the appropriate formalities, if there are any.
<Diamond> (A page escorts you in, introduces you to the QUeen, and then departs, pretty much)
- Diamond is waiting for you in the sitting room where you were last night.
- Hayley curtseys politely.
<Hayley> Your Majesty.
- Hayley says quietly and respectfully.
- Diamond is seated in a highbacked chair by a low table. She looks quite pale, but much improved since the last time you saw her.
- Diamond is clothed in many folds anf layers of velvety black, with a feathery fringe at her cuffs and hems.
- Dovev is brushing the Queen's hair... There seems to be no other members of the staff about.
<Hayley> You're looking well.
- Hayley smiles.
<Diamond> You don't lie very well.
- Hayley is sincere but Diamond probably will twist the sentiment.
- Hayley sighs.
- Diamond looks you over, perhaps examining for signs of weakness...
<Hayley> I'm not lying. <Diamond> Please sit down.
- Hayley takes a seat as offered.
- Diamond 's lips twitch slightly.
<Diamond> Perhaps you suffer from a defect of vision.
- Hayley sits down gracefully, making pretty much no sound.
<Hayley> You're looking stronger, and that is good.
- Dovev looks down at you, saying nothing.
- Hayley clarifies politely.
- Diamond looks to the window.
- Hayley folds her long and graceful hands in her lap and waits quietly for Diamond to say whatever she has to say.
<Diamond> How long has it been, since our conversation at Yule? <Hayley> A couple of years, I think. <Diamond> Two years.
- Diamond turns back to fix her icy gaze upon you.
- Hayley manages to find the strength to meet that gaze.
<Diamond> Two years now, I have waited for you to fail. To show your true colours.
- Hayley says nothing, just regards you as calmly as she can.
<Diamond> For two years I have despised you, and hidden my hate from my son.
- Diamond 's expression is impossible to read.
- Hayley listens respectfully.
<Diamond> ... <Diamond> I have set foils for you, threatened you... <Diamond> And yet, you are still here.
- Diamond 's eyes narrow.
<Diamond> Why is that?
- Dovev quietly sets the brush down.
<Hayley> Because of love. <Diamond> Do you not fear me, then?
- Dovev glides to Diamond's side.
<Hayley> I do, but I also respect you because you are the mother of the man I love. <Diamond> Hm.
- Diamond sits back in her chair.
- Dovev looks you over, his eyes bottomless black pools.
<Diamond> And what about my quiet friend...?
- Diamond smiles up at her companion.
- Hayley sits quietly and calmly, wondering what will happen next.
- Hayley can never really tell, though usually it is something bad.
<Diamond> Do you fear him? <Hayley> He is your bodyguard and faithful servant. I do fear him, but I also respect him and the role he plays in your entourage.
- Hayley knows very well that he could eat her any time... but he hasn't, yet...
- Hayley continues to wonder where this is leading, and dreading it inwardly.
- Diamond gives you a thin, indulgent smile.
<Diamond> You are very tactful.
- Hayley isn't sure what to make of that remark, and ends up looking down modestly at her hands in her lap, as she does also with Janus at
- Hayley seems cautious, though, too...
<Diamond> But I can tell that you are burning with desire to know what it is I am going to inflict on you today... <Hayley> I suppose I am conditioned to wonder by now.
- Hayley admits.
- Hayley returns her golden gaze to your icy one.
<Diamond> I want to speak to you about what happened last night.
- Diamond says matter-of-factly.
<Hayley> Yes, Your Majesty.
- Hayley replies respectfully.
<Diamond> With you and Rachel.
- Hayley swallows.
<Hayley> Of course, Your Majesty. <Diamond> I have not been able to put it out of my mind.
- Diamond 's lips thin.
- Hayley continues to listen, her eyes searching your own.
- Hayley doesn't know why exactly you can't put it out of your mind, what stands out, and wouldn't wish to presume she knows.
<Diamond> I have hated you for years. I used my last breaths to curse you. <Diamond> And yet your last words to me were kindness. <Diamond> ...
- Hayley is forced to look modestly down at her hands again. She seems quite awkward receiving such praise (?) from you...
<Diamond> Look at me when I am speaking to you.
- Hayley looks back up at you, looking vulnerable for a brief moment before she composes herself again.
<Diamond> Now, listen to me carefully, for you are not like to hear it again. <Diamond> I have been... proven wrong in my judgement of your character.
- Hayley listens, hardly believing her ears.
<Hayley> (more to come?) <Diamond> I regret... certain things that I have done.
- Hayley smiles slightly, gently, hopefully...
- Hayley wonders if she is dreaming.
<Hayley> (anything more or may I speak?) <Diamond> (go to it) <Hayley> You have also shown me great kindness... I couldn't forget that.
- Hayley is referring to her time as a Squire before she went mad, and also when she was Debbie.
<Hayley> And... I know a little of what it is to be a mother, too. <Diamond> Everything that I have done, I have done for my son.
- Hayley nods. She knows. She has known that all along.
<Diamond> I told you before I was Queen that I meant for him to be a Prince.
- Hayley nods.
<Diamond> Someday... someday I mean for him to be a king. <Diamond> And his sons after him...
- Diamond glances briefly at Dovev.
- Dovev withdraws soundlessly into the next room.
- Hayley nods, swallowing.
- Hayley wonders if this is the crux of the matter now... Diamond needs him to marry a Sidhe woman...
- Hayley understands but it still hurts.
<Diamond> I have a favour to ask of you, Hayley. And then I shall give you a gift.
- Hayley 's eyes grow a bit shiny with tears.
<Hayley> Yes, Your Majesty. <Diamond> Janus does not know that I had a choice in the matter of... in the fate of the child I lost. He does not know that I sacrificed
it for him. And he must never know.
<Diamond> Swear to me that you will keep my secret, and you shall have my favour. <Hayley> Of course I will swear not to tell him...
- Hayley looks a little uncertain, remembering that she is oathbroken. She isn't sure what kind of oath you'd find acceptable.
- Diamond seems satisfied with just your word.
<Diamond> Now, remove that charm you're wearing.
- Hayley had already forgotten that part of what you said last night.
- Hayley hesitates only for a moment.
- Dovev returns now, bearing a large bowl of beaten silver, engraved with swirling, almost hypnotic patterns.
<Diamond> Ah, thank you.
- Hayley hopes she isn't making a mistake as she sets the necklace on the table next to you, but closer to her.
- Diamond reaches up to take it from him.
- Diamond sets the basin, filled with clear water, on the table in front of her.
<Diamond> Give me your hand...
- Diamond holds out her own.
- Hayley places her hand in yours.
- Diamond turns your hand palm-up, and grips it tightly. Her hand is quite cool.
- Hayley 's is warm and dry.
- Diamond produces a long, sharp pin from the folds of her gown with her free hand.
- Hayley watches without fear.
- Diamond pricks your index finger, then draws your hand over her bowl to squeeze a single drop of blood into the water before letting you
- Hayley presses her thumb into her pricked finger to quell the bleeding.
- Diamond seems to ignore you now, leaning over the bowl as the blood diffuses, spreading red tendrils through the crystal water.
- Diamond 's eyes lose their focus, and she seems to be in a trance.
- Hayley sits quietly, not about to interrupt her cantrip. Especially when she is still recovering from trauma and near-death.
- Dovev watches you quietly.
- Hayley just watches Diamond with quiet interest.
- Hayley rubs her pricked finger a bit to soothe it, and that's the only movement she makes, aside from the regular rise and fall of her
ribcage as she draws breath.
- Diamond is very still for about five minutes -- maybe more, it's hard to tell -- and then sits up straight, her eyes clear once more.
- Hayley might shift her hooves once then, too. (Legs falling asleep)
<Diamond> Well... that should work out nicely, I think...
- Diamond looks to Dovev again, who swiftly moves to take the vessel away.
- Hayley smiles tentatively, wondering what she did but uncertain how polite it would be to ask.
- Diamond smiles at you, without the ice.
<Hayley> Might I ask... what you saw? Or is it a secret?
- Hayley smiles. She doesn't mind if you don't tell her.
<Diamond> I don't want to spoil the surprise. <Hayley> Very well. <Diamond> When it happens... I think you will know.
- Diamond winces very slightly.
- Hayley looks alarmed.
<Hayley> Do you need one of your healers to attend you?
- Hayley offers... she'll go get one if so.
<Diamond> No, that's allright. <Diamond> There's no cause for alarm.
- Hayley hopes that Diamond will not be angry that I noticed her distress... she hates appearing weak, Hayley knows.
- Dovev appears at the Queen's side once again.
<Hayley> All right. <Diamond> I think that I should rest a bit...
- Dovev moves to help her to her feet.
<Hayley> Very well. <Diamond> ... Come a little closer. <Hayley> (me?) <Diamond> (yes)
- Hayley stands up and comes around to a side of Diamond that Dovev is not occupying, then, I guess.
- Diamond cups your cheek with her hand, looking you over again.
- Hayley withstands the scrutiny.
<Diamond> You really are quite lovely... <Diamond> Hm.
- Hayley blushes and lowers her gaze modestly.
- Diamond smiles faintly.
- Hayley seems awkward about the praise again.
<Diamond> Welcome to the family. <Hayley> (Is she still touching me or is it safe to curtsey?) <Diamond> (go for it)
- Hayley raises her warm golden eyes to your gaze again, and curtseys gracefully.
- Diamond turns (with Dovev) to go back to her room, then.
Take care, Your Majesty.
- Hayley does whatever protocol requires... wait for you to leave or leave before you do. She has etiquette. ;)
- Hayley puts her necklace back on and departs Diamond's quarters, walking on air and still not quite believing what just happened.
- Hayley pinches herself a few times, in fact, to make sure she's not dreaming. And she laughs out loud joyfully when it's apparent she's not. ;)