Diablotin 3 session 72

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 72 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: April 15, 2018
Diablotin date:

Prologue

Genevriel and Dorien try to find a way to gently kill a zygomind

<DiablotinNarrator> So Gen, with Veronise in 'protective custody', she's put you in charge of some of the more sensitive projects at the farm - particularly the feeding and care of the zygomind. As such, if you want to take Dorien there to test his fungicide on it, you can do that without having to jump through a million hoops.

  • Genevriel will suggest that to Dorien, then. And make sure he has all the safety protocols memorized, because he sometimes seems a little impulsive.

<Dorien> (lol)

<Genevriel> (It's a Take Your Cousin To Work day)

  • Dorien will meet up with Gen at the entrance to the farm with a full kit of testing supplies, exfoliant, and other assorted chemicals.

<Genevriel> Hi Dorien.

  • Genevriel smiles happily.

<Dorien> Hi Cuz

  • Dorien will hug Gen
  • Genevriel will hug him back.

<Dorien> I hear you have a fungus problem.

<Dorien> That... sounded wrong, didn't it?

  • Genevriel rolls her eyes.

<Genevriel> Do you remember the rules?

<Dorien> Yeah, yeah, I know my way around a lab.

  • Dorien rolls his eyes also

<Genevriel> Not a lab with a sentient fungus in it that really wants to feed off you.

<Genevriel> It's over this way.

  • Genevriel leads him towards the big barn that houses the zygomind.
  • Dorien will follow
  • Genevriel follows all Veronise's safety steps by the book, and makes sure her and Dorien's PPE is on properly. Then she leads you in to the barn where a biggish fungus is hanging out.
  • Dorien has his own goggles, thankyouverymuch

<Dorien> Thaaaaat's a thing.

<Genevriel> And this is a tiny specimen, as far as this species goes.

<Dorien> Have you done any experiments on it yet?

<Genevriel> I assisted Veronise once before she decided to turn herself in.

<Genevriel> Other than that, I've just been following regular procedure for keeping it from starving to death.

<Dorien> (How big is it?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (about 20x20 feet)

<DiablotinNarrator> (just a baby :3)

<Dorien> Hmmmmm...

<Genevriel> (But they usually get up to 300 feet, if not starved and rigorously controlled.)

<Genevriel> So we have this equipment over here that we can use to try applying your fungicide.

  • Genevriel refuses to call it defoliant/exfoliant since fungi don't have leaves. ;D

<Dorien> I'm wondering if just spraying it is going to be enough. We may have to flood the room for something this size. Is this place airtight?

<Genevriel> (Is it, Julia? I assume so since Veronise was very careful about preventing the spread of spores.

<DiablotinNarrator> (it's as airtight as it was possible for them to make it. Which probably means, not 100% airtight.)

<Dorien> (k)

<Genevriel> It's not completely airtight. It's a converted barn. And the goal of this experiment is not to kill this one outright but to see how it reacts to your fungicide. We want to find a way to kill a zygomind that is NOT growing in a controlled environment like this without having it release its spores.

<Genevriel> So that IF we find wild zygominds we can do something about them without contaminating our entire empire.

  • Dorien nods

<Dorien> Ok, well, let's give it a shot then.

<Genevriel> Okay.

  • Genevriel will involve Dorien with the test process as much as she can.

<Genevriel> (I will basically follow the same procedure Veronise was using for testing the substances she was trying.)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, can you each make a Nature or Alchemy check, which ever is better, to see how the testing goes?

<Dorien> !roll 1d20+24

  • Denise rolls for Dorien: [ 1d20+24 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 24 ] totals [ 25 ].

<Dorien> (lol)

<Dorien> (nope)

<Genevriel> !roll 1d20+24

  • Denise rolls for Genevriel: [ 1d20+24 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 24 ] totals [ 35 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - since Gen is the one enforcing the safety protocols, I'll say that your 1 doesn't mean a containment breech, but it does mean your current formulations don't work against it.

<Dorien> Huh.

<Genevriel> Well, damn.

<Genevriel> Back to the drawing board, eh?

<DiablotinNarrator> You can make observations based on what you tried, though, and maybe can try to reformulate based on that.

<Dorien> Well, it wasn't formulated for these things specifically. I can take it back to formula and try again. I don't suppose I could have a sample of the thing to use?

<Genevriel> Once we're back in the office, I can show you Mme Calondres' research notes, too. That might help you narrow down what doesn't work.

<Genevriel> No samples are leaving this building, sorry. It's too much of a risk. The spores are pretty much invisible and are airborne.

<Dorien> Hmmm

<Genevriel> You can come out here to test directly on the creature.

<Dorien> Well, I'll do what I can.

<Genevriel> If it saves time I can probably even set you up here temporarily.

<Genevriel> We can carpool.

<Dorien> Hmmmm

<Dorien> Well, I suppose I can set up a temporary workstation here for a little while. Assuming I can use your fancy government equipment.

<Genevriel> By definition, 'government' equipment belongs to the people.

<Dorien> I'm people.

<Genevriel> Also, this project is poentially a matter of Imperial security and you're already on on that kind of stuff with all these little adventures to the First World and everything.

<Genevriel> I doubt Her Majesty will mind, if it helps her prevent us being turned into an Empire of zombies and corpses.

<Dorien> Well, let's hope savign the world doesn't take too long. I'm already working ten hour days just to keep up with the lab.

<Genevriel> Misery can probably handle it.

<Dorien> I don't doubt she can, but I hate dumping stuff on her like that.

<Genevriel> I think she'd understand. Especially if her nerdy boyfriend finds the way to destroy these things safely. Big damn heroes are attractive, I understand.

<Dorien> I've been called many things in my life, but I don't think "Hero" is one of them.

  • Genevriel smiles.

<Genevriel> Come on, let's go decontaminate so I can show you those notes.

<Genevriel> (I think we probably don't have photocopies or even gestetner machines yet...?)

  • Dorien is probably crazy fast at writing in chemistry shorthand that only he can read so he can copy what he needs.

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, you can copy what you need from the notes and then head home.

<DiablotinNarrator> (or maybe back to work, in Dorien's case...)

<Genevriel> (Back to work for Gen, too, surely... Since she is at work.  ;) )

<DiablotinNarrator> heh, yes

Dorien learns that Misery is pregnant

<DiablotinNarrator> Dorien, you arrive back at work to find Misery sitting on the steps, even though it's chilly out.

<Dorien> Heya, Dollface. Whatcha doing out here?

  • Dorien will walk up and give her a hug

<Dorien> Is everything ok?

  • Misery looks sort of ... puzzled and/or annoyed?

<Dorien> ...what did I do this time?

<Misery> well... I suppose it IS your fault.

  • Misery smiles a little though, so you can tell she's not really mad.

<Misery> I think I'm pregnant.

  • Dorien sits down.

<Dorien> Oh.

<Dorien> Oh...

<Misery> are you okay?

<Dorien> I'm... yeah. I think so. Are you?

  • Dorien looks Misery up and down

<Misery> I feel like shit, but otherwise, yeah.

<Dorien> How sure are you?

<Misery> well, the feeling like shit was my first clue. so I whipped up a little test in the lab and... unless I screwed it up... I think it's fair to say I'm knocked up.

  • Dorien nods.

<Dorien> I...

<Dorien> I love you so much.

  • Misery smiles at that

<Misery> I love you too. so... we'll figure this out?

<Dorien> Of course we will.

  • Misery hugs you back

<Misery> maybe those potions don't work as well on shadar-kai :p

<Misery> if I can formulate a better one, maybe we can get in on the market... :p

<Dorien> We'll double check. And we'll triple check. And if it's true, whatever we do we'll do it together.

<Misery> hey I'm not testing it on myself :p

  • Misery says with a chuckle

<Misery> at least, I think I'm out of the testing game for a while.

<Dorien> Well, for the foreseeable future you're not testing anything on yourself, yeah.

<Dorien> ...is this something you want?

<Misery> Well, it wasn't something I was expecting, but I'll be fine. I'm just still in shock I think.

<Dorien> Yeah...

<Dorien> Yeah, I think I need a drink.

  • Misery will bring you inside to your supply of important research alcohol ;)
  • Dorien will take the rest of the day off work.

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, you have a chance to spend some time with your brother, and have him spend some time with Hyacinth :3

Aubrienne visits Jean-Faust

<Aubrienne> (Where are we spending time?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (hm, maybe at your parents' house is easiest)

<Aubrienne> (Okie doke)

<DiablotinNarrator> We can say they wanted to have a family dinner and are currently cooking it while you guys chill in the sitting room.

<Aubrienne> (Sounds good)

<Aubrienne> So, how is it being more or less a free man? ;)

<Jean-Faust> It's strange...

<Aubrienne> Oh?

<Aubrienne> (Do we have the logs from last time?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (it would appear not)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I mean, they exist, they just aren't posted yet)

<DiablotinNarrator> (is there something you needed to check?)

<Aubrienne> (I just couldn't remember everything Thea said about Jean-Faust specifically)

<Aubrienne> (Oh, nvm, I scrolled up. It's right there.)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)

<DiablotinNarrator> They say I have to keep coming in for regular check-ups, to make sure I'm not... relapsing or whatever, but otherwise they think I'm okay.

<DiablotinNarrator> (ww)

<Jean-Faust> They say I have to keep coming in for regular check-ups, to make sure I'm not... relapsing or whatever, but otherwise they think I'm okay.

<Aubrienne> That's good. How are you feeling, in general?

  • Jean-Faust considers that question, looking at Hyacinth, who is on his lap, sitting up and looking around.
  • Aubrienne will make googly faces at her niece.

<Jean-Faust> I feel like... everything is sort of flat and grey. Like I should feel happy - I'm getting better, Hyacinth is healthy and happy, things are all right... but I just feel blank most of the time.

  • Aubrienne frowns at that.

<Aubrienne> I think...there might be something for that.

<Jean-Faust> what?

<Aubrienne> I was in the First World recently, and a...friend? Reflection? Andwho, someone I know and trust told me that taking you to the Irminsul might help you feel better.

<Aubrienne> And I trust her, especially on something like this.

<Jean-Faust> are we... am I... allowed to do that?

<Aubrienne> I've got a few connections. I think I could swing it.

<Jean-Faust> well... all right. I'll try it, if you think it might help.

<Aubrienne> It's just, there's something of a caveat.

<Jean-Faust> oh?

<Aubrienne> I think, if you go, if you decide to go to the First World, you'd have to stay there. Or you would choose to? Thea wasn't entirely clear.

  • Jean-Faust looks a bit concerned at that

<Aubrienne> But I can go there whenever I want now, and I could bring Hyacinth and Mama and Papa and, well, whoever.

<Aubrienne> I just want you to be happy.

<Jean-Faust> would it be like last time? where I don't remember things? I don't want to forget...

<Aubrienne> I'm not sure.

<Aubrienne> I don't think so?

<Aubrienne> But I can't say for certain.

<Aubrienne> (Would I know?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (well, you think that probably at least some part of that was specifically due to Eirlys - if he isn't back with Eirlys, working her magical wiles on him, probably it wouldn't be the same as before.)

<DiablotinNarrator> (there could still be strange side-effects - like time not passing the same there. but you don't think he would forget his life here or anything as extreme as that.)

<Aubrienne> There might be some weirdness, but that's to be expected with the First World. But I think you'd keep you memories and such.

<Jean-Faust> all right...

<Jean-Faust> you know, this is probably the exact opposite of what people treating me said I should do. but ... if this is what the rest of my life is going to be like, then I'll take the risk of trying something else.

<Aubrienne> Like I said, I'll check with people to clear it, but we should be able to manage it, and I trust Thea with knowing this sort of thing. She's got kind of an inside source. In that it is inside her.

  • Jean-Faust looks a bit puzzled, but nods.

<Aubrienne> Oh, if you do stay, I should be able to visit soon, as I'm going to be doing a movie in the First World.

<Jean-Faust> as long as I could still see everyone ... even if it was only sometimes... it would be okay.

<Jean-Faust> you are? they can do that? :o

<Aubrienne> We're going to see. :)

<Jean-Faust> wow...

<Jean-Faust> things are changing so fast.

  • Aubrienne shrugs.

<Aubrienne> They always are.

<Aubrienne> It'll be okay.

<Aubrienne> You've got me looking out for you. ;)

  • Hyacinth burbles something at her father, who gives a little smile back

<Jean-Faust> You too, huh?

  • Aubrienne smiles.
  • Jean-Faust will spend a bit longer cuddling her before she gets squirmy and insists on being put down on the floor to roll around

Argent and Hugo visit Katha

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - Argent, you wanted to go and try to talk to your mom, I believe, which apparently first requires talking to Hugo?

<Argent> (yes to find the portal)

  • Argent will track Hugo down then
  • Hugonel can probably be found at home most of the time lately
  • Argent will head there then
  • Argent knock, knocks on the door
  • Hugonel opens the door.

<Hugonel> Oh, hello, Argent!

<Hugonel> What a pleasant surprise.

<Argent> Hi Hugo. I was hoping to talk to you and get your help with something if you have time.

<Hugonel> Yes, of course, come in. Would you like a drink?

<Argent> Sure I guess

  • Argent will step inside and take off his jacket

<Argent> How you been?

<Hugonel> Not bad. Trying to figure out next steps, think about what I want to do with myself, that sort of thing. You?

<Argent> funny enough similar stuff

<Argent> my faith in some things is being stretched

<Hugonel> What do you mean?

<Argent> its just some of the shit that's happened... the whole arch incident... stuff like that

<Argent> it's kinda why I need you help.

<Hugonel> For me, even though the end result was a good one, it does make me rather less trusting in these processes and powers, if that's what you mean.

<Argent> Like that... it really bugged me.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Argent> I spoke with Mother Alma, and she was very contrite, admitting she should have done more sooner

<Argent> which helped, but still

<Hugonel> A lot of people underestimated the threat.

<Hugonel> So what is it that you want my help with?

<Argent> yeah... I wanted to see Katha

<Hugonel> I see. Just for a ... family reunion, or something else?

<Argent> I have questions, questions I didn't get a chance to ask last time I saw her

<Hugonel> Do you have any reason to think that she'll give us truthful answers? Not to seem too cynical, but ... she's two millennia old and I don't know what her motives really are.

<Argent> maybe she will maybe she wont, but I need to at least try and ask

<Hugonel> Right. Well, I'm happy to help you try, just as I was the last time we talked about this.

  • Argent smiles

<Argent> Thanks

<Argent> Can we go now?

<Hugonel> I don't know exactly what to do, but I have questions of my own. As long as you're not squeamish about hearing about the circumstances of your own conception.

  • Hugonel smiles.

<Hugonel> Not the fine details, of course.

<Argent> Like why you? Why make me?

<Hugonel> Right, like that.

<Hugonel> I don't even presume that question has an answer. But, when I think about the circumstances of her own creation, her father, Laeken, being a human of ancient times, I do reflect on that sometimes.

<Argent> we both have questions, so go do this

<Hugonel> Right, just let me grab a scarf.

  • Argent stands and grabs his jacket
  • Hugonel does so, and a few other things that he might want for a planar jaunt, then we can head out.

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, you can head out - to where?

<Argent> (wasnt the portal he rememebered in a particular corridor at the Castalia?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yes)

<Hugonel> (well, I guess that alleyway)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I think that's right - that alley anyway. I think it's in the Castalia district :)

<Hugonel> (yes)

<Hugonel> (there's an alleyway with a door in a brick wall)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - you can make your way back to the alley in question, and then... open the door I guess?

<Hugonel> (I want to inspect it closely first - any signs of anything unusual?)

  • Argent was hoping Hugo may have some ideas on opening it

<DiablotinNarrator> You can make a Perception check

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+13

<DiablotinNarrator> (oh right, Heather's offline)

<Hugonel> (no I can't ...)

<DiablotinNarrator> (well, Heather's rolling ability)

<DiablotinNarrator> (welp, roll with an actual die, or we can go on roll20 just for one roll ;)

<Hugonel> 13 + 13 = 26

<DiablotinNarrator> okay


<DiablotinNarrator> You take a close look at the door and you determine that there's some things off about it - like when you look closely, it seems more like an image of a door than an actual door, if that makes sense. Like as though it was in a stage set for a play, rather than real life.

<Hugonel> I could cast true seeing on it, if we wanted. Or we could just see if we can go in.

<Argent> lets try the latter to see if it works

  • Hugonel tries to touch the door and see if it is solid, and then tries to open it.

<DiablotinNarrator> You put your hand to the door, trying to open it, and it seems to change before your eyes - both of you are able to see it now as a portal, rather than a door, with a sight of green foliage and blue sky beyond.

<Argent> looks like we're invited

  • Argent will head through the portal
  • Hugonel follows.

<DiablotinNarrator> You step through and find yourselves in another place - familiar to both of you in some ways, but different as well since your last time visiting. Grassy hills, with flowers in bloom, suggest you are clearly not in Diablotin any longer. Ahead you can see a pond, and a small house.

  • Hugonel lets the memories wash over him.
  • Argent will head toward the house, assuming he doesn't see Katha elsewhere
  • Katha steps out of the house, apparently aware that you are here, and will smile to see you both.

<Katha> You made it.

  • Hugonel smiles.

<Hugonel> It's ... good to see you.

<Argent> Thanks for seeing us.

<Argent> Do you have time to talk?

<Katha> You are always welcome here.

  • Katha nods and will invite you inside.
  • Hugonel comes in.
  • Argent follows
  • Katha gestures that you can sit down on a bench that is along the inside wall.
  • Argent sits
  • Katha offers you some food and drink - what seems like honeyed oatcakes and some kind of herbal tea.
  • Argent takes a drink of the tea to settle himself

<Argent> Listen... I have some questions, which I hope you'r willing to answer

<Katha> I can imagine. I'll answer as well as I can.

<Argent> thank you

<Argent> I guess first of all, and I think Hugo has a similar question... why? why me? why Hugo? this feels vague and strange but I don't know how else to ask

<Katha> Why did I create you?

<Hugonel> Yes, that's one way to put it, I suppose.

  • Argent nods in agreement

<Katha> There are so few strong forces for good in the world. I feel like it's my duty to adjust that balance when I can.

<Hugonel> Not to seem ungrateful, but there were any number of people you could have chosen to ... help you in that duty. And yet you seemed to think, even back then, that I was ... special? That seems hard to believe.

<Katha> You are right that there could have been others chosen. But you *are* special. You have a rare quality within you, a strain of blood that is in danger of being lost.

<Hugonel> What strain is that?

<Katha> Your family descends from another great force for good in the world, a powerful being that was long ago wiped out by humans - the dragons. They left traces behind, but over time those strains fade and disappear, absorbed into the ocean of humanity.

<Hugonel> Hmm ... and you are saying that the Silveira bloodline is in danger of fading? That would ... surprise ... many of my relations.

  • Argent chuckles at that

<Katha> Offspring are one thing - power, or the potential for it, is another, and the two are not necessarily connected.

<Hugonel> At the Castalia there are those who have speculated that I have what is known as an "Imperious" bloodline - that my magical ability comes from my ancestry. I've never quite known what to make of that.

<Argent> guess you need the right spirit mojo to make it work

<Katha> ...yes... 'mojo'.

<Hugonel> All those many years ago, you spoke as if you knew we would see each other again. How can that be?

<Katha> I gave you the ability to return here... I don't do that lightly. I felt that, one day, we would need to see one another again. When you were older and less... hm... easily distracted.

  • Katha says, not unkindly.
  • Hugonel smiles.

<Argent> if I was to be this force for good, why not leave me with a family? Why dump me in an orphanage?

  • Katha looks a bit pained at that.

<Katha> Your society is ... misguided. Why do these 'orphanage' places even exist? Surely there is enough for all - when there are children in need, why are they not cared for?

<Hugonel> That is a very good question.

<Katha> I suppose it is my way to say, I didn't know what it would be like. I couldn't keep you by my side - you needed to understand the world you would live in, and be a part of. But I thought it would be only a short while until you were with those who would care for you.

<Hugonel> Why didn't you tell me about Argent's existence? As his father, don't you think I should have known?

<Katha> At that point in your life, what would you have done?

<Hugonel> Well I grant that I wasn't the most responsible, but I have many wealthy and powerful relatives who I surely would have begged for assistance.

<Hugonel> ... how did your father come to know of your existence? Did you ever spend time with him?

<Katha> Yes, of course. He raised me, after my mother was gone.

<Hugonel> Why did you not raise Argent yourself? Or was that not possible?

<Katha> I am not ... a part of the world you live in. He needed to be - not simply one who visits it from time to time, but one who understands it completely because it is his world. I couldn't give him that.

<Hugonel> Hmm, I see what you mean. Look, I know that you don't understand our world, but aren't you able to check in on us, see what we're doing? You must have seen that Argent was not growing up in a good environment.

<Katha> You think he would have been better off with you, or your relatives?

<Hugonel> I don't know. I just feel very guilty that I didn't even know I had a son until .. well, until after I knew him as a person for a long time. I feel that I should have known, and I feel terrible that he has suffered.

<Hugonel> I had an extremely fortunate life, so much so that I could squander a decade of it and still come out very well.

<Hugonel> I would have wished the same for any child of mine.

<Katha> I regret that you feel that way. And I know I can't change how things happened, but if I were to do it again, I would do it differently. When I have had children before, things were different - different for me, different in terms of the rest of the world.

<Katha> But Argent has also grown strong and learned much through his life - perhaps if he had been raised as a Silveira, there would be things he would not have gained. Or at least, he would have gained different advantages and disadvantages from such an upbringing.

<Hugonel> That is surely the case.

<Argent> I asked because I was curious... no my childhood wasn't the greatest, but I did make good friends that have helped me on the way, and it did lead me to the Church, which was a good thing

<Argent> I can wish I had a better childhood, and a family, but that time is past.

<Argent> I know there are things both of you would change, but I harbour ill feelings to either of you, just regret I didn't get to meet you earlier.

<Argent> (dont harbour)

<Argent> (don't!!!)

<Katha> (heh)

<Katha> I am glad of that. I have had children grow to resent me in the past, and I hoped that would not be the case here.

<Argent> Truth is, I'm feeling a little lost right now.

<Katha> Is there a way that I can help you?

<Argent> The Church of the Seven has always been a pillar for me, but recent events, specifically the incident with the Arch... has made me question the institution

  • Katha nods

<Katha> It seems to have moved far from its original purpose.

<Hugonel> How much do you ... follow the events of our world? Are you mostly removed from them, or do you spend much time attending to them ordinarily?

<Argent> exactly!

<Argent> how do I support an organization that a part of it would want to kill me if they knew my heritage?

<Argent> a part that was supposed to be gone but it probably bigger than ever

<Katha> I visit when I can, but it is like visiting a distant land now - I am far removed from the changes that take place.

  • Katha replies to Hugo

<Hugonel> When I first started to have memories ... resurface, of you ... was that something you brought into being, or was that just a coincidence that it happened now?

<Katha> I suppose you have two choices, Argent. You can stay within the church and try to change it from within - to work to remove those factions that do not belong - or you can leave and seek another path. There are risks to both, of course.

<Argent> what would you do?

<Katha> I've always preferred forging my own path over following in the footsteps of others.

  • Katha turns to Hugo.

<Katha> Perhaps that knowledge came to you when you were ready to receive it. It was not my doing.

<Hugonel> Hmm ... interesting.

<Katha> I am not the only factor at work, of course - it could be that another power gave you those visions.

<Argent> can you help against the Cyste?

<Katha> It's not a part of my sphere of influence. It's possible I could

<Katha> (er, cut off too soon, sorry(

<Katha> It's possible I could help you locate the source of the infestation, however.

<Argent> I have strong ideas where that could be, but yes that would be very useful

  • Katha nods

<Argent> any chance you have a flaming rapier or something similar I could borrow to do some good ol' smiting?

  • Katha smiles at that

<Katha> I don't have a flaming rapier, but I might be able to give you something else.

<Argent> Anything that helps is appreciated.

  • Argent smiles at Katha

<DiablotinNarrator> (I'm giving some thought to what she could provide - I want it to be something cool ;)

<Argent> (you can decide later)

  • Argent will get up and give Katha a hug
  • Katha embraces you in return

<Hugonel> Thank you for your answers, and your time.

<Hugonel> I am sure I will return again.

  • Katha nods
  • Katha takes a small metal lantern from outside her door, where it hung on the wall, goes to her fireplace, and lights it from the fire there. She hands it to Argent.
  • Argent will take it

<Katha> This will help to guide your path, I hope.

<Argent> thank you

<DiablotinNarrator> http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/artifacts/minor-artifacts/beacon-of-true-faith/

<DiablotinNarrator> You can continue to have small talk with her until you leave, then.

Denise asks Gen about healing

  • Denise will call ahead to Gen's and see if she is home and if she can stop by to just catch up on any new info
  • Genevriel is home, fortunately.

<Genevriel> Sure, come on over. Madds is out with friends.

  • Denise will hop on her bike, then, and zoom on over ^-^
  • Genevriel ushers you in after you ring her doorbell.

<Denise> Hi!

<Denise> So your man is out?

<Denise> Seems like he's gettin' around better :3

<Genevriel> Hi Denise. Yes, he went out with some friends tonight. I was just finishing up some stuff in the kitchen; I know it's very uncivilized but would you like to sit at the kitchen table?

<Genevriel> And yes, he's feeling a lot better.

  • Genevriel smiles happily.

<Denise> oh I ain't fancy, kitchen is fine for me :3

  • Genevriel has an apron on and was clearly not expecting guests.

<Genevriel> Right then, this way.

<Genevriel> (I imagine the kitchen table is really small and kind of battered, used mostly for cutting veggies and stuff. I picture mismatched chairs because originally there would only have been Madds using it to prep food, but now there are both Madds and Gen.  :3 )

  • Genevriel has a bunch of herbs out on the table, and a scale and stuff. She sits down and continues weighing out different herbs and mixing them together in a jar while we talk.

<Genevriel> Dorien came out to the farm the other day and we tried his fungicide on the zygomind but it didn't work.

<Denise> that's the big.... zombie plant thing that's been eatin' all that meat right?

<Denise> me asks, just making sure she has it right in her head

  • Denise asks, just making sure she has it right in her head

<Genevriel> Yes. Mme Calondres was trying to find a way to kill them without triggering a release of spores, which would be catastrophic.

<Genevriel> Imagine hundreds of those things springing up all over the Empire, wherever the wind could carry them?

<Denise> ugh, I'd rather not

  • Denise makes a face

<Genevriel> Anyway, in the absence of any other authority I decided to share Mme Calondres' notes with him so he can learn from what didn't work and hopefully come up with something that does.

<Genevriel> I also set him up a workspace at the farm since he wanted a sample of the zygomind but I thought it would be too risky to take any parts of it out of the warded barn Mme Calondres has been keeping it in.

  • Denise nods

<Genevriel> Aside from that, I don't really have anything else to report, I'm afraid. I can keep you posted and so can Dorien if he discovers anything that works.

  • Genevriel smiles.

<Denise> okay, I'll let folks know then

<Genevriel> Did you ever imagine you'd be the right hand woman for an Empress and her husband?

<Denise> oh gosh, no this ain't nothin' like I ever figured @_@

<Denise> I just wanted to help do right for folks in the neighborhood, an look out for 'em, you know?

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> Life can certainly take you in strange directions, can't it?

<Denise> no kiddin'...

<Denise> Even just ;ike.... home tuff

<Denise> Like, Yvie's gone to be the rch Guardian... that's my little sster

<Denise> an mam's pregnant again so I'm gonna have another littler one..

<Denise> or I guess maybe another brother

<Genevriel> And your wedding to Enver is coming up, isn't it?

<Denise> un huh @_@

<Denise> like... soon

<Denise> We're buyin' a house :3

<Genevriel> That's great!

<Denise> un huh!

  • Genevriel smiles happily for you.

<Denise> It's maybe in where just anyone wokd wanna live, but its still close to my folks, and to the bridge for gettin' to work

<Denise> I fiure mam's gonna still need help with the baby, even if she's doin better than she was before

<Genevriel> Oh? Has she been sick?

<Denise> But even without that, I just do't wanna be too far, ya know?

<Denise> oh...

<Genevriel> ...

<Genevriel> Would you like some tea?

<Denise> She was in a big accident a few years back, an she was hurt real bad

<Denise> oh, sure, thanke

  • Genevriel asks sympathetically, maybe misconstruing your 'oh...' for dismay.

<Denise> There was a big fire at the factory where she was workin'.... lotsa folks didn't even get out >:|

<Denise> folks runnin' those kinda place don't care about peopel who work there, just about makin' money

  • Genevriel will get some water boiling, grab some mugs, some herbs from a different but very similar-looking jar, and drop them in the pot while you talk.

<Genevriel> ...  :/

<Genevriel> Madds' parents own a textile factory but they do seem to care about their workers.

<Denise> mmhmm

<Denise> me says, politely dubious

<Denise> anyway, used to be she coudln't hardly get out of bed too much 'cept for a few hours a day, an she had someone in to care for her

<Denise> but Lathra came by... gosh, a monh now? Maybe more?

<Denise> I'm all mixed up on time

<Denise> An she cast some spell that fixed up the worst of it

  • Genevriel nods.

<Denise> she still gets tired real easy and she's still got some pain but, like, it;s a lot better @_@

<Genevriel> I could have a look at her, if you wanted, though if Lathra's already seen her, I doubt I could do much better for her.

<Denise> I mean, it can't hurt I guess, like, especially with the baby

<Denise> I know Da's still worried.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> Pregnancy's risky for her, then?

<Denise> Yeah, I guess so?

<Denise> Like, I an't a healer.

  • Genevriel gets up to get the pot of boiling water and pour it into the teapot. While she's at it, she rummages through a drawer where she finds a little paper bag, might once have contained sugar or something.
  • Genevriel sits back down and puts some of the herb mix she has been working on into the paper bag.

<Denise> My brother is, but like, I dunno if he's lookin' after mam or if they got someone else

<Genevriel> Well, it's a bit too late now, but this tea will minimize the chance of getting pregnant in the future. You just mix it up like ordinary tea the morning after you have intercourse.

  • Genevriel passes the little paper bag over to you.

<Denise> oh, like the potions only tea?

<Denise> I mean, like, *in theory* they oughtta know these things

<Genevriel> There are potions?

  • Denise rolls her eyes at her parets irresponsibility
  • Genevriel looks puzzled.

<Denise> Oh yeah! I take 'em all the time, just in case!

  • Denise says, then blushes

<Genevriel> I'll have to look into that. I mean, it's basically the same skill that lets you make potions or herbal remedies. I wonder how similar the recipes are?

<Denise> I dunno. Maybe ask Dorien

<Genevriel> I will.

<Genevriel> I grew up making this tea. Maman taught me.

<Denise> Obvioulsy mine didn't know aout this kinda thing...well Otherwise I prolly wouldn't be here :V

<Genevriel> Has your mother got a midwife? Maybe your brother? Or would that be too awkward...

<Denise> Um, I think prolly? I know Mickey will make she shes' looked after thiugh, he's good at that

  • Genevriel nods.

<Denise> He's a Druid. Like the empress :3

<Genevriel> That's good...

<Genevriel> Oh, um... is your mother very religious?

<Denise> Well, like, druids religious I guess?

<Denise> It's ain't like the seven

<Genevriel> Like, would it bother her if the ability I have to heal comes from millions of dead ancestors instead of Rat?

<Genevriel> If I were to see her and be able to do something for her, I mean.

<Denise> Oh, I don't think so

<Denise> I mean like

<Denise> the druids care about that sirta thing anyway, really

  • Genevriel smiles.

<Genevriel> All right, well, I can't promise anything but I can certainly have a look at your mother and ask the One if it wishes to help her. When would be a good time? And you'd come with me, right?

  • Genevriel is a little shy of meeting new people.

<Denise> oh yeah!

  • Denise will work out a time for us to drop in :3
  • Genevriel pours a mug of tea for you and one for herself, then reaches behind her for a bowl of honey from the counter which she sets down on the table.
  • Denise will add a generous amount :3

<Genevriel> (By bowl, I mean a little pot with a lid and a honey stick)

<Denise> (I figured :)

  • Genevriel will make small talk with you as best she can. She's probably kind of awkwardly charming when it comes to small talk, at this point. She'll ask about your wedding plans and all the deets on your new house and stuff, I guess.

Denise brings Genevriel home to heal Elcina

  • Denise will have set up with her folks to bring 'abnother one of her healer friends around" to see if there ia anymore that can be done for her mam :3
  • Elcina and Patric will be waiting with some nervousness, and Mikel will come by as well since he's curious ;)
  • Genevriel will have arranged to meet up with you, I suppose, and accompany you to your parents' home.
  • Genevriel brings a basket of home-baked goods, because she probably reflexively made some because she's used to doing that whenvever we meet up.

<Denise> aww, thats nice, mam'll like that :)

<Genevriel> They're lemon squares. They always remind me of my family. Papa always used to bake them.

  • Genevriel has brought lemon squares to meetings before, and vaguely remembers that you liked them, she hopes.

<Denise> oh yeah, those are real good

<Genevriel> Thanks.

  • Genevriel smiles.

<Genevriel> Papa was amazing in the kitchen.

<Genevriel> Does your Papa bake, too?

<Denise> nah, that was moastly me an Mikey when mam was sick

<Denise> he was always workin' or tryin to keep the house together

<Denise> Da, that is.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> It must have been tough.

<Genevriel> To have all those responsibilities all of a sudden.

<Denise> yeah...

<Denise> We got through it.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Denise> an we'll get through the rest :3

<Genevriel> I have no doubt you will. :)

  • Denise grins

<Denise> alright then, come on in an Ill let folks know we're here

<Genevriel> Okay.

  • Denise says, strolling up to the door
  • Genevriel gathers her courage to meet a houseful of strangers.
  • Denise will just roll in like she still lives there, though she doesn't >.>

<Denise> Mam? Da?

  • Patric comes to greet you when you call for him
  • Genevriel looms somewhat awkwardly behind Denise. Two very tall young women. ^-^

<Patric> So this must be your friend?

  • Patric says by way of 'greeting'

<Denise> UH huh - this is Gen. Umm. Mlle Doucette.

<Genevriel> I'm - yes.

<Denise> This is my Da. Patric Murodea :3

  • Genevriel nods at Denise, and extends her hand to shake M. Murodea's.

<Genevriel> Pleased to meet you, sir.

<Denise> Where's Mam?

<Patric> She's in the sitting room

  • Patric shakes your hand

<Patric> Thank you for coming.

<Genevriel> You're welcome.

<Genevriel> I, ah, brought some baked goods. I have a habit of baking before meeting people, I guess. Helps calm me down.

  • Genevriel extends the basket to him.

<Patric> Ah, thanks - that's real thoughtful.

<Genevriel> You're welcome.

<Denise> Her lemon squares are real good too @_@

  • Patric smiles at that

<Patric> Well, I'm sure Elcie will like that.

  • Denise will head into the sitting room, glad it no longer is doubling as her father's bedroom >.>
  • Elcina is sitting there, working on some knitting for the new baby, and Mikel is also there, keeping her company.

<Denise> HI Mam, Mickey!

<Mikel> Hey Dee, how're you doin?

<Denise> This is my friend I was tellin' ya about, Gen Doucette

  • Elcina sets aside the tiny hat she's knitting and smiles to see you.
  • Denise will gove her brother a hug if he'll get up for her, and one for her mother as well :3
  • Mikel will ;)

<Elcina> Nice to meet you, Gen.

  • Denise takes much less after her mother, physically, though her brother does

<Genevriel> Nice to meet you, as well, Mme. Murodea.

  • Genevriel extends her hand to shake both Elcina and Mikel's in turn.

<Genevriel> And you, young M. Murodea.

  • Denise giggles at that

<Elcina> Ah, thanks. I mean, thanks for comin'.

<Elcina> (ww, meant that to be Mikel)

<Mikel> Ah, thanks. I mean, thanks for comin'.

<Genevriel> It's my pleasure.

<Denise> YOu wanna sit downI can get soem tea goin' if you wanna chat a bit first?

<Denise> or coffee

<Genevriel> Oh, thank you. Tea would be great.

  • Genevriel finds Diablotin coffee quite bland compared to Psyrene coffee. ;)

<Denise> an I can bring out some fo those squares too, if Da ain't got em ste up yet :3

  • Denise says and will bustle off to the kitchen
  • Genevriel will take a seat and attempt to make small talk until she gets back.
  • Patric is indeed working on putting some of the lemon squares out on a plate, along with some cookies that they must already have had on hand.

<Patric> So, your boss there - he's settlin' in as Emperor?

  • Patric asks casually

<Denise> Yup! He's doin' just swell.

  • Denise says a tad defensively/warily but also with a hint of sass
  • Patric nods

<Denise> They're gonna set a lot of things right.

  • Denise will get the kettle going if it isn't already, and get some tea things together

<Patric> well, I hope that's so.

<Patric> He ah... came by here th'other day. We had some words out on the porch.

<Denise> What! :o

<Denise> what kinda words >.>

<Patric> Mm.

<Patric> He wants to give me a job.

<Denise> what!?

<Denise> I mean.... doin' what? :o

<Patric> Well.

<Patric> At first I weren't real pleased to see him - pullin' up in his fancy car an' all. I came out to tell him to take off, but he's a stubborn one. Said he understood how I felt, but he had somethin' important to talk about.

<Patric> They got some kinda plan, I guess, on makin' factories safer. Passin' laws or what have you, to make the owners do better by their workers. He said ... since I know 'bout the ways they try an' cut corners, an' how they'd rather have things get done fast instead of safe, that he figured I'd be a good like... inspector, kinda.

<Denise> huh

<Denise> well... he ain't wrong...

<Patric> I was gonna say no, but then... I think on what happened to your mam, an'... if I could stop that from happenin' to more folks, then.. I guess I'd even work for him.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> it ain't *so* bad :p

<Patric> Yeah, well, now he can change the laws so he ain't breakin' them no more :p

<Denise> well, yeah, lik Isaid, they can get things fixed up. SOme of the laws are stupid, lettin' folks get away with all kinds of things.

  • Patric nods

<Patric> He said they'll give me a team, go 'round to factories an' sweatshops an' all that, see what kinda stuff they're doin' and come up with reports to help 'em decide how to change stuff.

<Denise> I thkn YOu'll be real good at that

<Denise> an it *will* help lots of folks :3

<Patric> yeh well... if i can get someone else to write the reports, it's okay I guess >.>

<Denise> they can get that sorted out easy

<Patric> an' it'd be good if I can be home with your mam when the baby comes, not workin' long hours anymore.

<Denise> yeah :D

<Patric> they'd give me vacations an' sick days an' all that.

<Denise> that's real swell :3

<Denise> I'm so happy for you!

<Patric> well, we'll see how it goes.

<Denise> un huh

<Denise> It'll go fine.

<Denise> well, let's go see how they're gettin' on I guess :3

  • Denise willtake out the tea things and on a tray
  • Patric will join you back in the sitting room
  • Genevriel has probably been struggling a little with the small talk, unless we stumbled onto a topic she is passionate about, like plants or something.
  • Elcina and Mikel are talking about gardening with Gen ;)

<DiablotinNarrator> (heh, gmta)

<Genevriel> (lol)

  • Denise will ut out the tea stuff and pour some tea for folks :3

<Genevriel> Thank you, Denise.

<Denise> you're welcome :3

  • Denise will also take a lemon square for herself @_@

<Genevriel> So, I have some seeds of traditional healing plants used in Psyra. I can give you some to plant next spring if you're interested, M. Murodea. (addressing Mikel, not Murodea Sr.)

  • Genevriel tries to wind down the plant conversation.

<Denise> YOu can just call him Channel too

  • Denise says because that's just *weird*, it's Mikel :V

<Mikel> That'd be real swell, sure :)

<Genevriel> Right! Like Channel Silvia. I'm so sorry.

<Mikel> It's fine :)

  • Genevriel blushes with embarrassment for forgetting that, or assuming that he was still in training and couldn't be addressed as a Channel, yet. ^-^
  • Genevriel will nibble a cookie and sip some tea while she tries to regain some confidence.

<Denise> anyway, I was tellin' Gen about what Lathra did...

<Denise> She's got healin' magic too

  • Genevriel nods, remembering the real reason she's here.

<Genevriel> I don't know what all Denise may have told you, Mme Murodea, but... I don't follow the Seven or Serpent. The gifts I have come from... an entity I call the One, because it's a multitude of voices that speak as one. From what I have been able to figure out with a lot of help, they're likely the souls of all those who passed on while the Arch was broken in half.

<Genevriel> They were trapped in the Void for thousands of years, and when the Arch was repaired they chose to remain there rather than be reborn. There are good souls, evil souls, and every shade of grey between. But overall, the sense *I* get from them is that they value and honour life.

<Genevriel> I'm telling you this, Mme Murodea, just in case you have religious beliefs that mean you wouldn't want to accept the help of the One. If you're okay with it, then I'd like to carry out a physical exam to make sure that your injuries are ones the ancestral souls would be able to heal. And then we'll see what we can do for you. Do you have any questions?

<Elcina> Well... I suppose it's all one and the same, in the end. If you think you can help, I wouldn't mind if you got your powers from the gods or your 'One' or some magic beans.

  • Genevriel chuckles.

<Denise> heh

<Genevriel> Right then.

  • Genevriel will make appropriate arrangements to complete a thorough heal check... Not sure if that means Elcina has to strip down or not.

<DiablotinNarrator> (she might need to take off her sweater so you can see the extent of the scarring I guess)

<DiablotinNarrator> (but everyone here's seen it before anyway... >.>)

<Genevriel> (Yes, but if we're in a living room with windows we might at least want to draw them closed so people walking by don't catch an eyeful. ^-^)

<DiablotinNarrator> (Fair :)

  • Genevriel will do a heal check to figure out what ails Elcina/still ails her, and will check on the baby's health while she is at it... Presumably healing magic doesn't harm babies.)

<Genevriel> (But Gen would want to make sure whatever she does doesn't harm the child.)

<Genevriel> !roll 1d20+23

  • Denise rolls for Genevriel: [ 1d20+23 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 23 ] totals [ 39 ].

<Genevriel> (that's my Heal check)

<DiablotinNarrator> The main problems are scarring-related - Lathra's spell was able to heal the internal damage (and stat damage) but didn't fix the scars from her injuries, so she has soreness/stiffness/difficulty moving in some ways.

<DiablotinNarrator> And you don't think that your spell would harm the baby.

<Genevriel> (And using my real world knowledge, a Regeneration spell has a good chance of fixing the scarring since skin is an organ.)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yup)

  • Genevriel smiles warmly at Elcina when she is done.

<Elcina> so... do you think you can help?

<Genevriel> I think the One can, yes.

  • Denise sips her tea anxiosuly while this goes on

<Genevriel> In many ways what troubles you is just like what was troubling Madds. Ah... my boyfriend.

<Genevriel> So, I'll pray and see if we can help you like we helped Madds.

  • Elcina nods, listening

<Elcina> all right. is there anything I should do, or just... wait?

<Genevriel> You don't have to do anything.

  • Genevriel will pray and ask the One if it is willing to heal Elcina/ cast Regeneration.

<DiablotinNarrator> You cast the spell, requesting help from the One, and when you finish, which takes only a few seconds really, you see that her skin has changed, no longer red and gnarled where it was burned, but clear and smooth as if it had never been harmed.

<Elcina> oh!

<Denise> :o :3

  • Elcina 's hair hasn't regrown but it looks like it *can* regrow at least, since the skin is healed.
  • Genevriel smiles happily and steps back so the family can be all happy family.
  • Genevriel quietly thanks the One.
  • Denise will give her mom a big hug, and inher excitement give Gen one as well ^_^
  • Patric comes over to hug his wife, running his hand over her cheek gently, like he's afraid of hurting her.

<Denise> :3

<Mikel> wow, that worked real good!

<Elcina> Thank you so much, Gen.

  • Genevriel is kind of surprised by Denise's hug but hugs her back.

<Genevriel> It wasn't me... It was the One.

  • Elcina nods

<Elcina> I know it's only ... only on the surface, but it means a lot to me.

  • Elcina goes to look at herself in a mirror.
  • Genevriel is a little flustered by being thanked.

<Denise> even if it was their magic there wouldn't a been anyone to do it if it weren;t for you so it still counts.

<Denise> :3

<Genevriel> Well, I think Clerics of the Wheel could do it, too. And possibly Channels, too...

  • Genevriel glances over at Mikel.

<Genevriel> But maybe it takes time to be able to do it.

<Denise> studyin' an all that

  • Denise says, poking her brother

<Mikel> yeah...

<Denise> still :3

<Denise> You'll have to go see Yvie :3

<Denise> she'll be so happy too :3

<Elcina> oh, yes :)

  • Elcina gives hugs again, including to Gen if she wants one.
  • Genevriel will hug Elcina back, glad to have been able to help someone else.