Diablotin 3 session 7

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 7 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: January 11, 2015
Diablotin date:

Prologue

<DiablotinNarrator> It is midway through 10th Month, and the city is in the midst of a spell of pleasant, fall-like weather, mild and clear. This is one of the more enjoyable times of the year, as the weather is still warm enough during the day to partake of outdoor activities.

Hugo goes to Dasra's salon

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo, as far as I know you don't believe in outdoor activities.

<Hugonel> (this is correct)

<DiablotinNarrator> Fortunately, you have an indoor activity today - an invitation to Dasra's salon, as promised

  • Hugonel will get himself all nicely dressed up with a ... maroon scarf to accessorize.
  • Hugonel heads over to the salon with visions of joining the intelligentsia.

<DiablotinNarrator> You arrive at Dasra's home around mid-afternoon and are shown in

<DiablotinNarrator> There are perhaps about 20 people gathered, mingling, having snacks and drinks

<Hugonel> (what kind of place is it? big, small, old, new, fancy?)

  • Dasra 's home is in the Grand - it's quite nice, older but well-maintained, not huge
  • Hugonel looks around - who is there, anyone I know (other than Dasra?)

<DiablotinNarrator> A few people you recognize by sight, if not that you know well. A mix of actors, musicians, poets, painters, writers, etc. Mostly non-noble, you believe.

  • Hugonel will mingle politely, hoping that others will recognize him.

<DiablotinNarrator> Certainly some folks do recognize you, due to your celebrity and/or notoriety

  • Hugonel will of course regale them with his witty repartee
  • Dasra will make sure to greet you and introduce you around, as well

<Dasra> I'm so glad you could make it, Hugo.

<Hugonel> And I as well, of course. It's so very congenial to be able to come and meet such fascinating people!

  • Dasra smiles at that

<Dasra> I do strive to have an interesting mix of guests.

<Hugonel> How are you doing, my dear?

<Hugonel> Last time we talked, you were coming to talk to Lathra.

  • Dasra 's smile fades for a moment, showing weariness behind it, but she quickly pulls herself back together.

<Dasra> Yes... I don't know if you were aware, but my husband was hurt in the war. Lathra has been wonderful in helping with his condition, as well as helping me cope with it.

<Hugonel> Ah ... I did know a little about that, and was so sorry to hear it. Lathra's wonderful, though.

<Dasra> She is, yes.

<Dasra> Well... let me introduce you around :)

  • Dasra says, putting on her happier face again

<Hugonel> Indeed, of course!

  • Dasra brings you over to a small cluster of people - a man of perhaps your age, mid 30s or so, very slight and small; a younger woman with lovely red hair piled up atop her head in an old-fashioned style; an older woman maybe of around 70 or so with a rather stern expression.

<Dasra> My dears, permit me to present M. Hugonel Silveira, an old friend of mine.

<Hugonel> Good afternoon.

  • Hugonel smiles warmly.

<Dasra> Hugo, this is Luc Berthillon, the author of 'The Setting Sun' and other works, Klara Dannan, who is a music critic, and of course surely you will recognize Marja Travere, the playwright.

<DiablotinNarrator> They each greet you politely

<Hugonel> Ah yes, of course! It is a great pleasure to meet you in such a fine setting.

<Klara> 'Music critic' sounds so foreboding, though!

<Klara> I prefer to think of myself as a connoisseur ;)

  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> A connoisseur with a sharp tongue and sharper quills, no doubt!

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo, can you make a Perception check please?

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+5

  • Zola rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 23 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo, there is something about Klara that reminds you a bit of... someone... You are first reminded of Eirini (the long red hair?) and then secondly of ... whoever it was that Eirini reminded you of, a more shadowy memory further back in your mind.

<Hugonel> Ms. Dannan, have we met before? You remind me of ... perhaps it is nothing, or perhaps a shadow of a dream I once had.

  • Klara smiles pleasantly, if a bit bemused perhaps

<Klara> I don't believe so, M. Silveira. I think I would remember a gentleman as ... distinctive as yourself.

<Hugonel> Ah, well, in any case, it is delightful to meet you.

<Klara> And you as well, of course :)

<Klara> I understand you perform at Titania's?

<Hugonel> Yes, that's right; I'm the master of ceremonies.

<Klara> How fascinating :) You must meet all sorts of people that way.

  • Dasra sees that you're engaged in conversation and will slip off to tend to other guests

<Hugonel> How true. People from all walks of life come through the cabaret, and I suppose as the public face I get more attention than some. I should say, though, that we have an enormous amount of talent in our show. You should come by. Zola, who is one of our most gifted singers, performs there regularly; perhaps you know of her?

<Klara> Ah, the name is familiar to me, but I've never heard her sing. I should remedy that!

<Hugonel> She's simply wonderful.

<Klara> I shall make a point of visiting, then, at my earliest opportunity. Does she perform most evenings?

<Hugonel> Oh yes, absolutely.

  • Hugonel turns to Marja

<Hugonel> Mme. Travere, I have to say, it's quite an honour to meet you at long last.

<Marja> Why, thank you.

<Hugonel> My parents took me to see "The Bridge of Tears" when I was just a young boy.

  • Marja looks pleased and flattered at that

<Marja> I've often thought that one was due for a revival at some point, but perhaps it's no longer quite so topical as once it was.

<Hugonel> Well, perhaps not in the details, but it has a timeless quality that transcends quotidian politics.

<Marja> That's very perceptive of you, yes...

<Hugonel> (does she have any new work that I've heard of, something playing now?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you've heard that she has a new production in the works - not currently playing, but perhaps next year?)

  • Marja is happy to go on about her plays

<Hugonel> I'd be fascinated to know more about your upcoming work - it's been the subject of much interest but I'm afraid my nefarious sources have been unable to tell me much.

  • Hugonel says with a twinkle in his eye.

<Marja> Ah, well, it's still in the pre-production stage, but perhaps I can give you some hints...

  • Klara is making small-talk with Luc as you converse with Marja, and something she says catches your attention

<Klara> She might be a songbird, but she seems to have you in her cage, dear.

  • Hugonel will turn his attention to their conversation then.

<Luc> I swear, it's nothing to be concerned about. We are perfectly happy together.

<Klara> Mmhmm.

<Marja> Such petty gossip. You'd think we were at a ... a music hall, not an intellectual gathering.

<Hugonel> Some of the greatest philosophies of our age began as a jotted note on the back of a cocktail napkin.

<Marja> If you wish to continue our conversation at another time, M. Silveira, I would be delighted to speak to you further.

  • Marja says, and strides off

<Klara> Don't mind her.

<Hugonel> (to my knowledge is Eirini still someone the police are looking for?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yes, as far as you know)

<Hugonel> Your songbird, is she beautiful, M. Berthillon?

<Luc> She is enchanting

  • Luc says dreamily
  • Klara rolls her eyes slightly

<Hugonel> You know this songbird as well?

<Klara> Only from what Luc tells me - which is little enough, except that they are deeply in love, of course. He claims he has never been so inspired to write.

<Hugonel> Well, M. Berthillon, perhaps you and your songbird would like to come by Titania's someday soon. I would be sure to have a special word or three in my monologue for her.

<Luc> I'll see if it's possible, but she's quite shy - we spend most of our time at home.

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, we need to move on, but I'll assume you continue chatting with people at the salon :)

Dorien tries to break free of the drug trade

<DiablotinNarrator> Dorien, your father remains under observation in the hospital, but he seems to be recovering, from what you can tell and what you hear from his physicians.

<DiablotinNarrator> He should be released by next week if he continues to improve, but they say that he will need to keep to a restful schedule for some time after, or else he might suffer a relapse.

<DiablotinNarrator> Any serious stress is to be avoided, of course.

<Dorien_Voclain> (heh)

<DiablotinNarrator> So, you wanted to speak to Puce?

<Dorien_Voclain> (yes, if I can get away from the hospital for a bit)

<Dorien_Voclain> (I probably need to deliver a shipment to him at some point anyway)

<DiablotinNarrator> You can - your mother and sister are also taking turns sitting with your father, so you can manage to grab a break I'm sure.

  • Dorien_Voclain will take a taxi home, pick up what drugs I've made before getting called to the hospital, and head to meet Puce.
  • Dorien_Voclain will also bring his revolver... just in case.
  • Puce 's usual hangout is a seedy bar in Rhenea called The Raven's Nest, and you can track him down there.
  • Dorien_Voclain will walk in and scan the crowd

<DiablotinNarrator> It's not too busy this time of day - a few regulars, a skinny young man behind the bar, and Puce is over in a corner.

<Dorien_Voclain> I'll nod to him and walk over, taking a seat across from him and placing the package of drugs on the floor between us.

  • Puce gives you a nod of greeting

<Puce> Haven't seen you lately.

<Dorien_Voclain> I've been... occupied. How's business?

<Puce> Steady, not bad.

<Puce> Could always be better, though.

  • Dorien_Voclain nods.

<Dorien_Voclain> Puce... how long have we been doing this now? Six months?

<Puce> Yeah, 'bout that.

<Dorien_Voclain> And in that time, I've made you a good bit of coin, right?

<Puce> Pretty good.

  • Puce concedes
  • Dorien_Voclain nods, pausing to collect his thoughts

<Dorien_Voclain> There's been... I have an opportunity maybe to go legit. I want to take it. This will be the last delivery.

  • Puce frowns

<Puce> Whadda you mean, 'last'?

<Dorien_Voclain> I mean last. I want out.

<Puce> I thought we were in this together, man.

<Dorien_Voclain> We were. It's been a good run.

<Puce> Dorien... I don't wanna make this messy.

<Puce> But it ain't as easy as just sayin' 'I'm done'.

  • Dorien_Voclain glances around again. "Look, I don't want to make a big deal of this. I'll give you the formulas. It shouldn't be that hard to find someone to replace me."

<Puce> You don't understand. It ain't just about the formulas. Those're great, but you can come up with new ones. Not everyone can do that.

<Puce> You've got a gift.

<Dorien_Voclain> Yeah. I do. And I might have a real opportunity to use it for something better than getting people high and making some quick cash. I need out, Puce.

<Puce> Is it that you want a bigger cut? 'Cause it might be that could be arranged.

  • Dorien_Voclain sighs. "No, man, it's not about the money. It was never about the money. I can get by on my income from tits' place now. You can keep the rest of my money for this batch. A show of good faith if you want.

<Puce> Aw, it ain't about the money for you, maybe. For other folks, though, that's what it's all about.

<Puce> And other folks ain't gonna like if it that well dries up.

<Dorien_Voclain> What other folks?

<Puce> Not me, man - if it was up to me, I'd say, go, run free, be happy.

<Puce> But I got a boss too, you know.

<Dorien_Voclain> Look, man... just... tell me what I need to do to get this behind me.

<Puce> First off, you can't just quit cold turkey, it ain't workin' like that.

  • Puce explains simply, as if you might not quite understand

<Puce> Maybe if you got other jobs on the side, you can ease back a bit. Make the formulas, outsource the production.

<Puce> I could see 'bout findin' you an assistant, maybe, so you got more time for other work.

<Dorien_Voclain> An assistant? You want me to train you a replacement?

<Puce> Yeah, maybe down the road. If it works out with them, then maybe you can step aside easier.

<Puce> That way nobody gets upset.

<Puce> Generatin' jobs in the community, me.

<Dorien_Voclain> I don't know if I have that kind of time. If anything gets traced back to me it could... Look, I just don't know how long this window is for.

<Puce> What's the window?

  • Dorien_Voclain hesitates

<Dorien_Voclain> It's... someone wants to help me out. Maybe get me back in a legitimate chemistry career somehow. But I can't do that if I'm still working with you.

<Puce> Aw, that's sweet.

<Puce> I guess they wouldn't like it if they knew what you'd been up to.

  • Dorien_Voclain raises an eyebrow.

<Dorien_Voclain> Is that a threat?

<Puce> It's an observation.

<Puce> I know you ain't gonna stick in this game forever. You come from someplace nicer, and you wanna go back there, and I understand that.

<Puce> But you gotta do it gradual-like, or we're both gonna get in shit.

<Puce> I don't wanna lose a good chemist - either cause you got a better job, or cause you got knifed and dumped in the Ousel. But if I gotta, then I'd rather it's the first one.

<Puce> You're a good kid, I don't wanna see you get in trouble.

<Dorien_Voclain> I'm touched by your concern for my well being.

  • Puce reaches into his pocket
  • Dorien_Voclain watches very carefully, sliding his hand over towards his own pocket.
  • Puce draws out what looks like 50 imps in rolled bills, and passes it across the table to you
  • Dorien_Voclain sighs

<Puce> A bonus for good work, an' I'll look around for an assistant for you.

<Dorien_Voclain> A month.

<Dorien_Voclain> One month, and then I'm out.

<Dorien_Voclain> That's all you get.

<Puce> Sure.

<Puce> We'll see how that goes.

<Puce> Good luck, Dorien.

  • Dorien_Voclain looks at the rolled bills and hesitantly picks them up as he stands.

<Dorien_Voclain> I'll see you soon. Find someone with half a brain at least.

  • Puce nods and goes back to his drink.
  • Dorien_Voclain walks out, head hung slightly lower than when he went in.

Zola flirts with Bright

<DiablotinNarrator> Zola, your show tonight has gone really well, you feel. The audience is definitely enthused, and you get called back for an encore.

<Zola> :D

  • Zola picks something fun and energetic to see herself off.

<DiablotinNarrator> After you sweep glamourously from the stage to rounds of thunderous applause, you are back in your dressing room catching your breath when there's a knock at the door

  • Zola stands from the divan and heads to the door to open it. "Hugo darling, have you come to congratulate me on my dazzling per-"
  • Haft is there, holding an incongruous bouquet of flowers

<Zola> Oh, Haft. How are you :)

<Haft> These are for you.

  • Haft says, sticking them in your general direction.

<Zola> How lovely.

  • Zola accepts them graciously

<Zola> Who sent them?

  • Zola looks for a tag.

<Haft> A man.

<DiablotinNarrator> There is indeed a note with them

<Zola> I said who, not what :)

<Zola> There's a note though, it should say who they're from.

<Zola> Thank you dear :)

<Zola> (Is he too tall to peck on the cheek?)

  • Zola will give him a peck on the cheek if she can, otherwise she'll just sortof look at his cheek awkwardly.

<DiablotinNarrator> uh.. how tall is Zola? he's probably around 6' tall

  • Zola isn't teeny, so she can pull it off, despite his expected lack of cooperation

<Zola> See you later :)

<Haft> Yes.

  • Haft walks away
  • Haft sort of wipes at his cheek a bit confusedly as he does so.

<DiablotinNarrator> "Beautiful Zola, your performance tonight was magnificent. I'd love for you to join me for a drink in the lounge. - Bright"

<DiablotinNarrator> (says the note)

  • Zola will open the note and read

<Zola> o_O

<Zola> Oh that tart.

  • Zola bites her lip with a grin
  • Zola will go about freshening herself up
  • Zola switches from a black wig to a dark red wig, despite the potential for Hugo to murder her and hide her body in the Ousel, and she's a new woman!
  • Zola takes a last look in the mirror, adjusting her twin gifts, and heads out to the lounge.
  • Bright has a booth to himself, although there are signs that other people were sitting there, in the form of some half-empty drinks and the like. He stands graciously when you arrive, and bows to kiss your hand if you'll let him.
  • Zola will absolutely!

<Bright> Thank you for joining me :)

<Bright> Can I get you anything?

<Zola> It's my pleasure, M. Rionet, that lovely bouquet was a perfect follow up to the fun I had on stage tonight :)

<Zola> A nice red would be lovely.

  • Bright will get the waiter to bring a bottle of expensive red wine, then.

<Bright> I especially enjoyed your performance of 'The Man I Love' - very moving.

<DiablotinNarrator> (do you need me to repeat the last couple lines?)

<Zola> Thank you :) I must have been doing something right tonight. I'm lucky you were here to see it :)

<Zola> That song comes easily to me though... I'm a ... big fan of love :)

<Bright> Well, I'm glad my friends convinced me to come. It's been a lovely evening so far.

  • Bright smiles at that

<Zola> Is it your first time here at Tits'?

  • Zola looks a little surrpised, since this IS such a hot spot after all ^_^

<Bright> I came a few times shortly after it opened, but it must have been before you were here, or perhaps on nights you didn't perform.

<Bright> Have you been here long?

<Zola> A few years now... I missed her grand opening, but Tits is a great gal so I couldn't stay away long.

<Zola> Tsk. You should have the place another try sooner :)

<Bright> I know, I'm kicking myself right now!

<Zola> Well, now you know better :)

<Bright> I do :)

<Zola> Where've you been having all your fun then?

<Zola> I hear you throw parties of your own, does that mean you're a homebody most nights? :)

<Bright> Oh, here and there - friends' houses, mainly, sometimes private clubs.

<Bright> I do enjoy a more intimate atmosphere, I admit :)

<Zola> They have their uses... but some kinds of fun take a crowd :)

<Zola> There's only so much energy you can derive from a small audience... it can be wonderful... intimate, but a big crowd is... something else.

  • Bright grins at that, nodding
  • Zola says rather breathlessly

<Bright> Perhaps, if you liked, we could proceed somewhere more intimate ourselves - once we've had some more of this excellent wine, of course.

<Zola> I have had a fair bit of the crowd tonight, something more intimate might be just what's needed next :)

<Bright> Wonderful :)

  • Bright will make flirty small talk until you're ready to go
  • Zola lays on her tarty wiles
  • Bright seems happy to be .. wiled?

<Bright> (beguiled! that's the word I was looking for)

  • Zola has some added rosy complexion thanks to the wine.
  • Bright will summon a taxi for the two of you to head to... wherever you're going
  • Bright 's directions are to the Grand, so it's a bit of a drive, wherein you can .. converse, make out in the back seat, whatever ;)
  • Zola is probably a little hands on, she is a little physical that way, brushing his cheek and leg to start >_>
  • Bright doesn't seem to have any objections to that

<Bright> You're so beautiful...

  • Bright tells you, a little drunk and handsy himself
  • Zola smiles. "That's not just the wine and the dim lighting talking, is it?"

<Bright> not at all

<Bright> after all, I saw you first on a bright stage :)

<Zola> Hee, a Bright stage :D

  • Bright grins
  • Zola tugs at his tie playfully.

<Bright> Yes, I guess my parents didn't think about the many possibilities for jokes... ;)

<Zola> Aww...

<Bright> but hopefully soon I can see you on a bright bed ^-^

<Zola> But there might be jokes, but at the end of the day, you get to go home with that adorable face of yours.

  • Zola gives him a peck on the cheek.

<Bright> well, I try to go home with someone else other than myself, if I can ;)

  • Bright gives you another kiss

<Zola> I bet you've had lots of luck with that :)

  • Zola is interrupted by makeouts

<Bright> I don't like to brag, but... ^-^

<Zola> But you will anyhow :)

<Bright> just a little

  • Zola grins.

<Zola> I suppose I can handle being a feather in your cap, Bright young man.

  • Bright chuckles
  • Bright will bring you to ... his house, where you've been before of course, though perhaps he doesn't realize that.

<Zola> Lovely...

  • Zola tries to look like she's never been there before >_>
  • Bright smiles and escorts you in, and gives the taxi driver a decent tip to make up for smooching in the back seat ;)

<DiablotinNarrator> I imagine we can draw a curtain over this scene, at least until someone writes a story about it? ;)

  • Zola is v. noisy

<Denise> (as long as you tell us if it all goes well :V)

<DiablotinNarrator> (Bright is not easily fazed ;)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you'll have to tell me if you think he can recognize Mico, though. not sure if Zola would take her wig off, for instance)

<Zola> (Hmmm)

<DiablotinNarrator> (his reaction would probably be adorable fanboy squeeing, for what it's worth ;)

<Zola> (Maybe a disguise check?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (sure, if you want to try and keep the disguise in... tact.... ish...)

<Zola> (Well, she does try to "disguise" herself up as Mico, and then disguise herself in another direction with Zola, and even if the disguise is in shambles it'd be like... smeared makeup and a missing wig :P)

<Zola> (I'll do a roll, and maybe if he sees through it can be when she's sleeping and not performing :P)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)

<Zola> (Also not drunk)

  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 18 ]

<Zola> (Up to you :3)

<DiablotinNarrator> ('kk, I'll let you know what I decide ;)

<Zola> (Maybe a solo in the morning :P)

<DiablotinNarrator> (sure :)

Aubrienne gets news about her lost brother

<DiablotinNarrator> You're arriving for work, early evening or so, just getting warmed up.

  • Aubrienne will chat and joke with the stagehands, lighting people, etc.

<DiablotinNarrator> A woman approaches you a bit hesitantly. She is a few years older than you, maybe in her late 20s, tall, with long black hair tied back in a braid and a strong, stocky build. She also looks to be about 5 or 6 months pregnant.

<Aubrienne> (Do I recognize her at all?)

<DiablotinNarrator> You've never seen her before, you don't think.

<DiablotinNarrator> "Excuse me, are you Aubrienne Romilly?" she asks

<Aubrienne> It just so happens I am. Can I help you?

<Cora> I don't know... I'm hoping I can help you.

<Cora> My name is Cora of Gouge. I was your brother Jean-Faust's commanding officer.

  • Aubrienne 's ubiquitous smile falters.

<Aubrienne> Uh, it's nice to meet you. Would you like to have a seat?

<Cora> Can we speak in private?

  • Cora asks, glancing around the club

<Aubrienne> Sure, sure.

  • Aubrienne calls to the stage staff "Back in a few, guys!"
  • Aubrienne leads Cora backstage to her dressing room.
  • Cora follows you
  • Aubrienne makes sure there's clear space to sit, then takes a seat, gesturing for Cora to do the same.
  • Cora takes a seat

<Aubrienne> Do you...do you have some news?

<Cora> I debated whether I ought to come talk to you... I didn't want to reopen your wounds, if there was nothing to it...

  • Aubrienne gestures for you to continue

<Cora> Your brother was a good man - I was privileged to serve with him, and have the opportunity to get to know him.

<Cora> So I felt I owed it to him to bring you this.

  • Cora reaches into her jacket and draws out an envelope. It looks worn, as though it's been carried about for a long time.
  • Aubrienne reaches out to take reverently

<Cora> He was writing this to you when he... disappeared. It wasn't finished, and I knew if I mailed it, the censors probably wouldn't even let it through, because of what it says. So I kept it.

<Aubrienne> Censors?

  • Aubrienne opens the envelope as carefully as possible

<Cora> Sure... they reviewed all the mail coming and going from the troops, in case anyone was dumb enough to tell their family back home just exactly where they were marching next.

<Aubrienne> Ah.

<Cora> this isn't that sort of letter - he knew better than that. but it's ... strange.

<Cora> anyway... sorry. I'll let you read it yourself.

<DiablotinNarrator> "Dear Aubrienne, I can't sleep, so I'm writing to you. It's going to be an awful mess tomorrow - I can't tell you details, of course. But it's already a mess. The slicks know this land so much better than we do, but there are things even they don't understand.

  • Aubrienne nods, vaguely acknowledging the other woman, but her gaze is fixed on the letter as she takes it out of the envelope.

<DiablotinNarrator> "There's another world behind ours, one that we can't see except when it breaks through in spots, or maybe in dreams. You probably know more about things with magic and the planes and all of that, so maybe you'll understand what I mean.

<DiablotinNarrator> "I've been having dreams about it lately. There are people there, or not people exactly, but beings... They can look like people, but they're something much older. They want me to come with them, but I'm scared. I'm not explaining this well, I probably sound crazy.

<DiablotinNarrator> "I tried to tell some of my friends here about it, but they just brushed it off as nerves and stress and not enough sleep. Maybe they're right. But I heard the singing again tonight, and when I woke up I could still hear it. I can still hear it now. The Forestheart is open

<DiablotinNarrator> (it cuts off like that, probably in the middle of a sentence, or word even)

<DiablotinNarrator> You recognize your brother's handwriting, even though it's not signed.

<Aubrienne> Oh Jean-Faust

  • Aubrienne tears up, but tries to hold it back

<Aubrienne> Thank you for bringing this.

<Cora> I'm sorry. Like I said... I don't know if this is helpful, or just ... more pain for you. But...

<Aubrienne> It means a lot.

<Cora> Your brother went missing from our camp in the middle of the night. The sentries didn't see him leave, but we were able to track him some distance into the woods before we lost the trail.

<Cora> I don't think he deserted, and I said as much in my report. I think someone or something lured him away. He was listed as 'missing in action' but... I don't know what really happened.

<Aubrienne> I understand if you are not allowed to say, but, if you could, could you tell me about where you were when he went missing?

<Cora> It was near a place called Seda Grove. you've probably heard of it because of what happened there later... but this was before all that.

<Aubrienne> (That was in the papers, right?)

<Cora> (yes, it would have been - and again more recently, with Byram Dyess's death, it would have been mentioned because of that too)

<Aubrienne> (Right)

<Cora> (Byran, sorry, typo)

  • Cora looks a bit uncertain, but reaches out to pat you on the shoulder
  • Aubrienne puts a hand absently on hers and gives a squeeze, still mostly staring at the letter

<Aubrienne> Thank you again.

<Cora> If you want to talk to me about it... or about anything, really, here's my telephone number.

  • Cora gives you that, and her address in the Place D'Iena
  • Aubrienne will take the number with a nod.

<Cora> I'll let you get back to work. I'm sorry, again.

  • Cora stands to leave

<Aubrienne> If you have a moment, I have a question.

<Cora> oh, sure

  • Cora pauses

<Aubrienne> Again, I understand if these things aren't meant for, ah, civilians.

<Aubrienne> But was he the only one who went missing like this?

  • Cora hesitates for a moment

<Cora> The only one among my troops. But I heard rumours - there were others, in Dyess's platoon.

  • Aubrienne nods solemnly

<Cora> They were there longer than us - we didn't stick around long

<Cora> I wasn't there when it all went to hell, so I'm not sure. Maybe I can put you in touch with someone who was, though.

<Aubrienne> ...I would appreciate that.

<Cora> Okay - I'll put out some feelers, see who I can track down.

<Aubrienne> Thank you. For everything you've done.

  • Cora nods sadly

<Cora> I wish I could have done more.

  • Aubrienne will turn back to the letter, reading through it a few fore times, crying quietly

<Aubrienne> (Eventually she'll go look for Jed and probably cry with him some too)

<Aubrienne> (Or Tits, if she finds her first)

<DiablotinNarrator> (aww. Jed will of course comfort her, and offer that if she wants to not go on, he can do the show himself)

<DiablotinNarrator> (and then maybe she can find Tits in a thread or solo? for some crying-on-shoulders? ;)

<Aubrienne> (Sounds good :))

Hettie asks Ander about Nycki

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie, you were going to go talk to Ander - did you want to catch him at the club, or elsewhere?

<Hettienne> (dk where elsewhere would be...)

<DiablotinNarrator> (hmm... the Mala Tajna have their own bar/hangout, but maybe she doesn't want to go that much into their turf?)

<Hettienne> (yeah, I prefer my own)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay - club it is, then! and that way you can be sure Denise isn't around ;)

  • Ander is hangin' out as usual - does this guy actually do any work?
  • Hettienne sidles up to his table after all her emergency repairs and such are done for the evening - or at least, for the moment.

<Ander> Hey, what's up?

  • Ander asks with a gesture for you to have a seat.
  • Hettienne sits down.

<Hettienne> (are his buddies around too?)

  • Ralf is there

<Hettienne> Listen... Den told me she was gonna talk to you 'bout Serge-Yves' boy.

  • Ander nods

<Ander> Yeah.. I had a word with her.

<Hettienne> I wanted t'say, just, we really appreciate that... whatever you're doin'.

<Ander> Oh... thanks.

<Ander> I felt like I had to let her know it weren't her fault or anything. I let her know about the ... shipment they brought in. But I kept your name out of it.

<Hettienne> And she probably told you we think there's more to it than just a muggin'.

  • Ander nods

<Hettienne> Thanks.

<Ander> yeah... I don't know if that's what it's about or not. But it seems more likely than anything else.

<Hettienne> I got more of a stake than she knows in findin' out what happened, though.

<Hettienne> I saw someone there when they was pullin' out the body, see?

<Ander> yeah?

  • Ander leans forward, listening

<Hettienne> Does the name Nycki Duployé mean somethin' to you?

<Hettienne> (sense motive fwiw)

<Ander> Yeah. I knew her, once, long time ago.

<Hettienne> (23)

<Hettienne> Me too. :|

  • Ander doesn't seem to be lying

<Hettienne> She got me my last job workin' for the Emperor.

<Ander> ah :/

<Ander> I knew her when we was kids, more like... her family and mine were close

<Hettienne> We used t'be.. close too.

  • Hettienne says with a grim set to her mouth.

<Ander> For a while they wanted to set her up with my brother Greg, but ... yeah.

  • Ander says with a shrug

<Hettienne> Well. She looked real spooked when she saw me by the river.

<Hettienne> Her bein' there can't be no coincidence.

  • Ander nods

<Ander> well... lemme tell you what I can, 'bout Nycki.

  • Hettienne sits back in her chair to listen.

<Ander> So, I knew about her gig with you... that was after she didn't talk to her family so much anymore, but you hear things.

<Hettienne> Right.

<Ander> Like I heard she took somethin' from them when she took off, and they weren't too happy 'bout that.

<Hettienne> What kinda somethin'?

<Ander> Some kinda old family heirloom. from the old days in the undercity.

<Hettienne> Huh.

  • Hettienne wonders...

<Ander> Anyway. Then stuff went down - I guess prolly you know more about all that than I do.

<Ander> What I heard was, the Hush flipped her. Had enough on her to put her away for a long while, but instead they recruited her. I know that's how they work, so it seemed plausible to me, but it's just a rumour, right?

<Hettienne> The Hush?

<Hettienne> Well, fuck me. :|

<Ander> Yeah. So if that's true, if she's workin' for them... maybe that's what she was up to there, keepin' an eye on it for them.

<Hettienne> Would *they* have wanted to whack Vairon?

<Ander> I don't think so.

<Ander> It doesn't sound like them.

<Ander> They mostly try an' cut down on the number of murders where they can.

<Hettienne> But keep the number of backstabbins nice and high.

  • Hettienne says with a scowl.

<Ander> Yeah...

<Hettienne> I can't believe she sold me out for the gods damned Hush.

<Hettienne> You hear anything about here recent-like?

<Ander> I dunno if that's what happened, but it would make sense, yeah? I mean... she sure wasn't locked up.

<Hettienne> (her)

<Ander> Not real recent. But I'll ask around if you like.

<Hettienne> I'd appreciate it.

<Ander> What's your aim? findin' her? bumpin' her off?

<Hettienne> I'm not sure.

<Hettienne> Reckon I won't know until I can get my hands 'round her scrawny little neck. :|

<Ander> Okay. That's your business.

<Ander> I'll see if I can find out where she hangs. or where she's restin' her head at night.

<Hettienne> Sure like to know what was so important in that safe I cracked that she was willin' to send me back to the worst place in the world to rot.

<Hettienne> Thanks.

<Hettienne> And if I can do you a turn, you know where to find me.

<Ander> where was the safe at?

  • Ander asks curiously

<Hettienne> Some ritzy pad in the Grand.

<Ander> hm

<Hettienne> (I'm not sure if I said specifically in my bg... if it was somehwere else feel free to correct the log :v)

<Ander> (I don't thiiink so?)

<Ander> Well, I'll see what I can do, yeah?

<Hettienne> Thanks again.

<Ander> no problem, Hettie.

<Hettienne> Better get backstage in case someone's popped their girdle again.

<Hettienne> Be seein' you.

Lathra asks Tristan if he can look in on Raimond

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra, you wanted to talk to Tristan I believe? in connection with Raimond's odd visions and such.

  • Tristan can be found most easily at his and Lurancy's home
  • Lathra will roll on over
  • Tristan welcomes you in cheerfully

<Tristan> How are you doing?

<Lathra> Well aren't you a dear for asking! I'm just fine, as always, and just as busy too it seems. And yourself? Have you had any more episodes, or any good news to share?

<Tristan> Well, I do have a bit of good news - purely at a personal level :)

<Lathra> How splendid!

<Tristan> We've learned that Lurancy's expecting a baby :)

<Lathra> Wonderful news! This calls for a drink, or some sort of celebration at least?

<Tristan> By all means!

  • Tristan will pour you both a drink

<Tristan> So... what brings you by?

  • Tristan asks once you've had a toast to the new baby :)
  • Lathra clink

<Lathra> Well, it's the most curious thing, but I've met another fellow who talks about strange places and people who can't go home when he's unconscious, and I thought you'd rather like to know.

<Tristan> Oh?

<Tristan> Yes, certainly I would like to know about that.

<Tristan> Are you at liberty to tell me who?

<Lathra> I must confess I didn't ask permission for that, and although I suppose he and his family wouldn't mind, I'm afraid that I would terribly. If you want to meet them I can certainly try to arrange it, but I came to you rather more with *his* wellbeing in mind.

  • Tristan nods

<Tristan> I understand, certainly.

<Lathra> You see, he's dreadfully sick, this fellow, and these... dreams? No, nightmares. No! ... Episodes. These episodes are very wearing on him, and I wondered if you had any advice that you could give on mitigating the wear, or on how to better recover from them.

<Tristan> Hm.

  • Tristan considers that question for a moment

<Tristan> It's difficult to say... if he's well enough, I could try to provide him with some meditation techniques that might help him find a more peaceful rest.

<Tristan> I'm not certain whether putting him into a magical sleep would help or only make things worse :/

<Lathra> As I understand it, he's better during the day, but it's happening multiple times in the night. If he could rest peacefully I do hope that could lessen the strain.

  • Tristan nods

<Tristan> Do you think he's too ill for a meditation lesson? I'd be happy to try and show him what I can of the techniques I've developed.

<Lathra> I don't see that it could do him any harm, it's more about whether he has the energy to try. When would you be available? I can go and see him and pass on the offer.

<Tristan> I could pay a visit most days - if you say he's usually better at a certain time, I can arrange to visit then.

<Lathra> You're so darling, Tristan dear, and I'm just still so delighted about the baby Rademacher that I'm all fired up! I shall go directly to see him and send you a message with his response this evening.

<Tristan> All right. I'll see if I can't think of any other ideas too, that might be of help to him.

<Lathra> Anything you can come up with could help, I'm sure. Perhaps there are methods that you use to cope that you aren't fully aware of? But regardless of that, I'm deeply grateful that you're willing to try.

  • Tristan nods

<Tristan> I'll give it plenty of thought, and see if I can't figure something out. I think there might even be spells we could try, if possible...

<Lathra> One more toast for the baby before I get on my bicycle, then!

  • Lathra lifts her glass

<Tristan> Cheers!

  • Tristan clink
  • Lathra clink

Denise and Argent and the Crouch End Heist

<DiablotinNarrator> Denise and Argent, you are preparing for your exciting adventure!

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent, Briony has left a few supplies for you, as promised

<Denise> :D

<DiablotinNarrator> an amulet of natural armor +1, holy water, 6 silver and 6 cold iron bullets

<Argent> (just one vial of holy water?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (let's say 3 - they're easy to come by :)

<Argent> (ok)

  • Argent will have the cold iron bullets loading in his revolver

<DiablotinNarrator> okay

  • Denise doesn't need to do tooo much to prepare, just make surw she's got some nice big sacks for loot
  • Denise has her aunt embroider the dollar signs on them
  • Collete has made plans, scoped out the joint, etc. and has decided that the best time to go is in the morning, when most people will be asleep/passed out

<Denise> (for luck, right? :V)

  • Argent will be geared up for the adventure :)

<Denise> (what kind fo gear?)

  • Collete and Francois will meet you at the point that Enver showed you for entering the sewers.
  • Denise is ewearing on grubby older clothes

<Denise> (and boots)

  • Argent will arrive on time, calm and collected, dressed appropriately, and a change of clothes in a sack.

<Argent> for when were done

  • Argent exlains

<Collete> Okay - so we want to try and get in and out without them knowin' we were even there. So keepin' quiet's the name of the game.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> no gun unless it all goes ta shit, then

  • Argent nods as well

<Denise> (guns)

<Collete> Right

  • Denise has hers, though

<Argent> Ok

  • Luc has a rapier and Francois has a crossbow, for relatively quiet killin' if need be, but you wouldn't be surprised if they both also have guns

<Luc> (er, ww)

  • Argent will also indicate he has his gun as well, and a rapier.
  • Collete has a rapier and Francois has a crossbow, for relatively quiet killin' if need be, but you wouldn't be surprised if they both also have guns

<DiablotinNarrator> (like a little crossbow - a hand one)

<Collete> Any questions before we go?

  • Denise shakes her head

<Argent> Nothing comes to mind

<Collete> Okay.

<Collete> If we get separated, meet back at the exit

  • Denise nods

<Collete> Let's get going.

  • Collete will lead the way down from the pumphouse into the sewers
  • Denise follows!
  • Argent will of course go with
  • Argent will tap Denis and hand her two vials.
  • Denise looks at him curiously

<Denise> whassat?

  • Denise takes them though

<Argent> <w> careful, they break easy if thrown. Just in case the demon thing is true.

<DiablotinNarrator> Remembering the route Enver showed you is trickier than you expected, but you are able to make your way to the place with the switch in the wall

  • Denise nods to Argent
  • Francois checks it for traps before pulling it, after getting you all to stand back a bit
  • Denise will activate her tattoo
  • Argent will point out the switch location and such.
  • Francois gives an 'all clear' nod once he's looked it over, and pulls it carefully

<DiablotinNarrator> The grate up above opens and a knotted rope ladder that was apparently coiled up above it falls down

  • Collete will go in first, and let Francois go last, with you two in the middle

<DiablotinNarrator> (let's switch into roll20 now)

<Argent> (ok)

  • Denise will let Argent go before her

[They fought a screaming devilkin, won, and got away with a nice haul of loot]

Gen finds out that August is a Seventh

<DiablotinNarrator> Gen's turn - for a short teaser, with full scene to follow tomorrow, so we aren't running *completely* over time >.>

  • August will come locate Gen one evening during a break in the show
  • Genevriel is probably busy bussing, but will ask whoever's in charge in the kitchen if she can take her break when August comes to see her.

<August> Come take a short walk with me?

<August> A breath of fresh air would do us both good.

<DiablotinNarrator> You can take your break, yes.

<Genevriel> Sure, though I am not certain I'd call the air in the city 'fresh'.

  • Genevriel smiles to show she was joking, not complaining.
  • August smiles back

<August> I had a word with those friends I mentioned.

  • August says once you're outside enjoying the 'fresh' air of the alleyway

<Genevriel> Oh?

<August> Yeah. They're interested to meet you, if you'd be willing.

  • Genevriel looks a little uncertain.

<Genevriel> Can you tell me who they are?

  • Genevriel seems mostly worried about going to face a bunch of unknowns blindly.

<August> I can tell you a little about myself. Their stories are for them to tell... but maybe knowing more about me will help you understand.

<Genevriel> ... All right.

<August> You remember I said I fought in a war once too?

  • Genevriel nods. "Over a century ago."

<August> ... yes. over a century ago.

<August> rather more than that, actually.

<August> I wasn't lying when I said it was during the reign of Enzephir. It just wasn't the Enzephir you were probably thinking of.

  • Genevriel tries to think back through the history books she has read...

<Genevriel> The... 1600s?

<August> Yes.

  • Genevriel takes a moment to try to digest that.

<August> I realize that this probably seems impossible to you...

  • Genevriel shrugs.

<August> I'm what some people call 'Seventh', although that name... well, it's not one I've ever thought was especially fitting.

<August> Less so now.

<August> It means that after I lived through my various lives, the gods ... sent me back.

  • August tries to explain
  • Genevriel listens carefully.

<August> It doesn't mean that I know all the answers, by any means, but I've been around long enough to have a few clues.

<August> My friends have similar backgrounds.

<Genevriel> All right.

<August> you're willing to talk with us?

  • Genevriel smiles a little hesitantly.

<Genevriel> I think it would be interesting.

<August> well... I hope so. and perhaps - as people who've been affected in ways by higher powers - we might have some insight for you.

<Genevriel> Don't worry... I won't expect you to have all the answers... or maybe even any. But if you've all lived for centuries, you'll have to know a little more than I do, anyway. About lots of things, if not what's up there.

  • August smiles

<Genevriel> That alone would be enough for me to want to get to know you.

<August> Not all of us have lived for centuries... but a few.

<August> Would tomorrow be all right with you?

<Genevriel> I'm supposed to work in the evening. Would it be difficult to meet in the afternoon?

<August> No, I think that would be just fine.

<Genevriel> All right, then. Where should I go?

  • August gives you an address in the Pav

<Genevriel> I look forward to it. I think.

<August> I'll see you then.

<August> I ought to be back at my post, I suppose.

<Genevriel> Thanks, M. Merrion. I appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

<August> Have a good night

<Genevriel> I think my 15 minutes are up, too.

  • August heads back inside

<Genevriel> Yes, have a good night, sir.

  • Genevriel follows him in and resumes her duties.

<DiablotinNarrator> The End, for now...

Solos

Gen asks Lathra about training for the healing arts

  • Genevriel approaches Lathra tentatively, early of an evening, when people are still just setting tables and the doors are not yet open.
  • Lathra notices and invites her over
  • Genevriel has finished her section of tables already; she is typically a conscientious worker.

<Lathra> Hello, it's Gen, isn't it?

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> Mlle. (?) Scales...

  • Genevriel isn't sure how to address you politely, apparently.

<Genevriel> Do you have a moment?

<Lathra> I certainly do!

<Lathra> And you can call me Lathra, unless it's a tremendously solemn religious matter.

  • Lathra winks
  • Genevriel smiles faintly.

<Genevriel> It's sort of religious. In a way. I guess.

<Genevriel> I seem to have been granted a gift for healing.

<Genevriel> It just sort of happened, though. I wasn't training to be a cleric or a priest.

<Genevriel> I never really studied it, when I had the opportunity to study. I was more interested in other things. It never occurred to me to study healing magics.

<Lathra> Well now, I suppose that circumstances could make that solemn, but I don't see a need for any formalities regardless. It's certainly fascinating!

<Lathra> Do go on!

<Genevriel> Well... anyway, now that I have this, I figure that I ought to learn what I can about its applications and its limitations.

<Genevriel> So I don't get someone's hopes up, only to fail.

<Genevriel> And so I was wondering if you know how I could learn about it. I know there are probably books upon books about it at the Castalia, but I can't afford a library card there.

<Genevriel> So... I would need access to a less expensive way to learn.

<Genevriel> And... I don't think it's the Seven. And I'm not sure if it's Serpent. So... I don't know that asking for an apprenticeship with a cleric from either of those churches would be the solution.

<Lathra> No no no indeed.

<Lathra> Well, unless you actually want to be apprenticed to a cleric for other reasons.

<Lathra> But since it developed by itself rather than by any formal method, I don't really see any way to know how powerful it is without testing it.

<Genevriel> Testing it?

<Lathra> Well, if you had learned some kind of formal healing art, you'd already know what it does, since you'd have learned it, if that makes sense?

<Lathra> Now, I realize that testing healing out is rather fraught, to say the least, since you need injuries to assess it.

<Lathra> What happened? How did you find out about it?

<Genevriel> It was in the war.

<Lathra> Would you mind going into details, or would you prefer not to?

  • Genevriel looks a little tense but not like she's about to shut down. She may be struggling with how to explain.

<Genevriel> There was a sl- a Psyrene boy.

<Genevriel> He was... badly burned.

  • Lathra nods, listening

<Genevriel> I prayed to whoever was listening to heal him if they could.

<Genevriel> They did.

<Genevriel> Since then... I've asked for healing for others, nothing so bad as his burns.

<Genevriel> But it's worked, so... I know I'm not crazy.

<Lathra> Well, that sounds rather more profound than I'd expected. A gift, perhaps, although if you don't feel that it's divine I'd be hard-pressed to say from whom.

<Genevriel> I... didn't say I didn't think it was divine.

<Lathra> I'm sorry dear, I must have misunderstood.

  • Lathra looks questioningly at Genevriel

<Genevriel> I just don't know for sure which ones speak to me.

  • Genevriel says in a rush.

<Genevriel> I don't even know if they're the eight we know of or something else.

<Genevriel> I don't know that that really matters... I just really want to know how healing magic works and what I'll be able to mend, and what I won't.

<Lathra> Well, if that's what you're after, I can certainly teach you what *I* know, and see if that helps? I could reserve an evening for you every week or two, barring emergencies among my patrons?

<Lathra> I'd certainly like to help - if you've been given a gift you shouldn't have to have any barriers to using it.

  • Genevriel looks grateful.

<Genevriel> It would be good. Thank you. I can... come in early and... make sure all your supplies are in order, or something.

<Genevriel> To compensate you for your time.

<Lathra> Well I suppose if you feel you must you may, but it's hardly necessary.

<Genevriel> Something else, then.

<Genevriel> It's... it's good for me to keep my mind busy.

<Lathra> Well my dear, if I find myself at a loss I'll ask for something, I suppose.

<Lathra> Can you read and write? You could check my agenda in the morning for me, that'd save me a lot of time, and it certainly keeps *my* mind busy.

<Genevriel> Yes. I can... my parents taught me. They were both graduates of the Castalia.

<Lathra> Well, if that'd entertain you it'd certainly save me a headache.

  • Genevriel looks down at her feet and nods. It's not really a question of entertainment, to her. :/
  • Genevriel glances back up at you. "You... just want me to let you know what you're supposed to do that day, or...?"
  • Genevriel wants to make sure she understands her duties so she doesn't let you down.

<Lathra> That'd be wonderful dear. Why don't we do a session on Thursday evening, and then if you think it's been useful I can show you my agenda on Friday morning, and you can check it for me the day after we do each lesson so that I can sleep in. Does that sound fair?

<Genevriel> Yes. Thank you.

<Genevriel> I should get back to work; the doors will be opening soon.

<Lathra> Oh of course! Thank you for coming to see me Gen dear, I hope I can teach you something helpful.

<Lathra> Off you go, don't let me delay you.

  • Genevriel goes.

Lathra and Aubrienne discuss crazy visions over coffee

  • Lathra cycles to her coffee engagement with Aubrienne
  • Aubrienne will wave through the window at Lathra so she knows where they're sitting
  • Lathra waves back as she parks up and enters the cafe.

<Aubrienne> Thanks for coming.

<Aubrienne> Coffee?

  • Aubrienne flags down a server

<Lathra> I would desperately love one, thank you dear. I've been waiting for this all day!

<Aubrienne> Likewise.

  • Aubrienne gives a somewhat tired-seeming smile.
  • Aubrienne will engage in some small talk as you wait for your order, club gossip, local news, that sort of thing.

<Aubrienne> So, I, well, I'm a little embarrassed to even be bringing this to you, but I was hoping maybe you could set my mind at ease.

<Lathra> Well now, is this a professional meeting?

  • Lathra winks

<Lathra> Oh don't worry dear, I'd love to hear what's on your mind.

<Aubrienne> Possibly, I suppose, though I hope it doesn't have religious ramifications.

  • Aubrienne smiles back playfully

<Aubrienne> The other day, when Jaspart had his...episode.

<Lathra> Oh yes, poor fellow.

<Aubrienne> He was babbling, which isn't uncommon, but something about it struck a chord, I guess.

<Aubrienne> I'm sure it was something from the war, but he talked about a valley, and dark trees, and a beautiful lady, and getting to the other side...

  • Aubrienne 's words spill out a little fast, like she's making herself get through them quickly
  • Lathra listens

<Aubrienne> I'm sure I'm being silly, but it, especially the last part, reminded me of Tristan's vision at temple.

<Aubrienne> We've had a lot going on lately, and I'm sure I'm just on edge, but...I don't know. Do you think it's significant?

<Lathra> Yes, I haven't wanted to alarm anyone, but I have noticed that rather a lot of people seem to be babbling about fantastic places and people who came before and want to come back and such, when they're non compos mentis. My more fanciful side rather wonders if there's something divine, or magical or mystical going on.

<Lathra> It's certainly getting harder to put it all down to coincidence.

  • Aubrienne smiles sadly

<Aubrienne> Well, there goes making me feel better.

<Aubrienne> Is it...I was about to ask if we should be concerned, but I'm already there.

<Aubrienne> What do we do? Is there someone we should be talking to?

<Lathra> Sorry dear. It certainly could still be nothing, but I do rather worry that it isn't. I wonder who would be best to check it with.

<Lathra> Perhaps Elaknar would know something, or somebody from the Castilia

<Aubrienne> Right.

<Aubrienne> So you think it bears looking into?

<Lathra> I certainly do

Gen meets more Seventh

  • Genevriel will head out to the Pav in time for the meeting. But before she leaves, she'll leave a note with the address August gave her and the information that she would be at work as usual that night. Just a routine from army scouting days... make sure your commanding officer knws where your squad is headed and when they expect to be back.

<Genevriel> (That'll be left on her cot.)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay. The address turns out to be an ordinary-looking home in the Pav, not too fancy, not too new, just unobtrusive and plain.

  • Genevriel pauses outside for a little as she tries to prepare herself for being social with a lot of strangers.
  • Genevriel will knock on the door when she's ready.
  • Genevriel tries to be optimistic as she waits for someone to answer the door.

<DiablotinNarrator> A young woman maybe in her early or mid 20s answers the door. She's got short brown hair, maybe as though she was in the military and it's only starting to grow out.

<Woman> Hello, are you Genevriel?

<Genevriel> I am, yes. And what should I call you?

  • Genevriel asks politely.

<Woman> You can call me Nais.

<Genevriel> Pleased to meet you, Nais.

<Nais> Come in, please.

  • Nais steps aside you let you enter her (?) house.
  • Genevriel slips in past her and looks around for a place to put her coat.

<Genevriel> Thank you.

<DiablotinNarrator> There's a coat tree in the entry hall, with several other coats already hanging on it.

  • Genevriel will add her coat to the collection.
  • Genevriel then turns to Nais for an indication as to what to do next. ^-^
  • Nais leads you into a sitting room, from which you can hear sounds of quiet conversation.
  • Genevriel will look around for August once she can see the speakers.

<DiablotinNarrator> There are four other people in the parlour - August, whom you already know, another elderly man (younger than August, maybe mid-60s or so) with dark skin and grey hair, and then a young man of about 25 or so with short brown hair and a few freckles, and a very young woman, maybe somewhere around 18 years old, with curly black hair and light brown skin.

  • August stands to greet you as you come in
  • Genevriel smiles at August; it probably comes off as rather shy.

<August> I'm glad you could make it.

<Genevriel> Thank you, M. Merrion.

<August> You've met Nais already - let me introduce you to everyone else.

  • Genevriel nods.
  • August indicates the other older man first

<August> This is Qadmiel

  • Genevriel will greet each person in turn as she is introduced to them.
  • August then presents the young man

<August> Rab

  • August finally indicates the teenager

<August> And Patience

<Genevriel> I'm Genevriel... but most people just call me Gen.

<Genevriel> Pleased to meet you all.

<Qadmiel> You as well.

  • Qadmiel stands to move over and make room for you to sit
  • Nais has a pot of tea, and offers you a cup
  • Genevriel will take the offered seat and try not feel too nervous.

<Genevriel> Thank you, I'd love a cup.

  • Nais pours you some and passes it to you, then resumes her own seat
  • Genevriel sips it carefully, and wonders how to proceed with people who may be centuries older than her, without making them or herself feel weird.

<Nais> August has told us a little bit about you... I understand you served in the war? I was with the 5th Artillery, mostly near Kyrone.

  • Genevriel smiles gratefully for a topic of conversation.

<Genevriel> I was with the Princess Tessera's Royal Infantry... lots of places, but mostly in (blah part of Psyra).

  • Nais nods

<Genevriel> (Are the Kyrone people the ones who got involved in Seda?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (Seda Grove is/was in Korytsa, which is where Kyrone also is. but it's not necessarily the case that everyone who was in that duchy would have been at Seda)

<Genevriel> Were you... were you at Seda?

<Nais> No - I heard about that, but I wasn't there.

  • Genevriel asks respectfully, in case it is not a good memory for Nais.
  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> Me neither. I'm grateful for that.

  • Nais nods

<Nais> Yes, it sounded like a ... a mess.

<Genevriel> ...

  • Nais says, probably choosing a different word out of politeness

<Genevriel> You don't think the whole war was a mess...?

  • Genevriel suggests with a faint smile.

<Nais> Well, most wars are.

  • Nais agrees
  • Genevriel nods.

<Nais> I gather that... what happened to you, happened towards the end?

<Genevriel> Yes...

<Genevriel> I think the Psyrenes might have seen already that they were losing by attrition...

<Genevriel> But we... I only knew what my commanding officer had told me.

<Nais> It could have gone differently, perhaps, but I think you're right - by the end, it was just dragging on.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> Had you fought in other wars?

<Genevriel> Prior to this one?

<Nais> A couple... and I've been in the city guard for a while too, off and on.

<Genevriel> Might I ask - why?

<Nais> Everyone has something they're good at - something they feel suited for. I'm good at fighting.

<Nais> And ...

  • Nais looks to the others

<Nais> We try to help, where we can. Scenes of violence are places where people often need help.

<Genevriel> But it also meant you had to choose a side to fight for.

<Nais> Everyone chooses sides, and you have to live with your choice afterwards.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I don't envy you, if you will live as long as August, or longer.

<Qadmiel> It's not only something you're suited for. It's something you have a gift for.

  • Nais nods

<Nais> When we... each of us... when we had our chance to choose...

  • Nais looks to you to see if you have any idea what she's talking about
  • Genevriel is listening but not with an expression that suggests she has had the same sort of experience as you are talking about.

<Nais> For us - and I don't know how it was for you, but I get the idea it was different - we had a choice about our ...gifts, as Qadmiel says.

<Genevriel> (It seems like they're suggesting I might be something like a Seventh, then?)

<Nais> (she's just trying to see/understand your experience - not suggesting anything)

<Genevriel> I just prayed for a dying boy, for no real reason except that I... couldn't do what I was doing anymore, and he reminded me of my baby brother.

  • Nais nods

<Genevriel> And then he was healed. And I was marked. And since then I have been able to heal, and... call... call fire.

  • Genevriel seems especially distressed by that.

<Qadmiel> Is it something you have control over?

  • Qadmiel asks gently

<Genevriel> (the fire?)

<Qadmiel> (well, presumably either, but the fire is more concerning!)

<Genevriel> Usually. But I am not the same person I used to be... I can't control my anger, sometimes.

<Genevriel> It's possible that I might lash out at someone, someday.

<Rab> I think each of us can understand the feeling of not being the same person we used to be... Not just by being reborn, but in the course of our existence, we need to change ourselves in order to avoid being recognized.

<Rab> And we struggle, sometimes, too, with the feeling that we don't know why we're in this position - why we were chosen and not someone else.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Nais> Do you feel like your powers come from the gods?

  • Nais asks

<Genevriel> If the gods are stars. Or among the stars. Or behind them.

  • Qadmiel considers that

<Qadmiel> The Cozovode believe that the stars are the source of magical, spiritual power - that this energy is within all of us.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> It's stronger in the gods, and weaker in us. That is the only real difference between us, according to the Cosovode.

  • Qadmiel nods
  • Patience speaks up for the first time

<Patience> The gods as we represent them - whether that's as animals, as stars - are symbols of something greater, something we can't fully comprehend.

<Patience> So it's possible that what you're speaking of is divine power, in a more unmediated way.

<Genevriel> There's more than one of them...

<Patience> Do they speak as one?

  • Genevriel ponders that for a moment.
  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> They all refer to themselves in the plural "We are all one."

<Genevriel> And I guess there are usually a lot speaking at once, but usually I find an individual's voice stands out more than the rest.

<Genevriel> Of course I don't really understand anything they say.

<Genevriel> Except for "We are all one."

<Qadmiel> Do you mean you don't understand the words, or the meaning behind them?

<Genevriel> ... Both?

<Genevriel> Those four words are always intelligible to me. But who is "we"?

<Genevriel> It's hard to understand the message if you don't understand what the subject is.

<Genevriel> There are other words that I do not understand.

<Genevriel> Maybe they aren't even words; I'm just trying to make them into something I can understand, make sense out of.

<Nais> Do you hear them all the time?

<Genevriel> In a way...?

<Genevriel> Mostly in dreams... or when I have flashbacks. Like the day M. Merrion stumbled across me at the cabaret.

<Genevriel> I can't hear it right now, while I am speaking to you, or when I'm concentrating on something else. But when I'm not doing anything, it's always there, like the sound of my own blood pushing through my body.

<Genevriel> But if I were to stop speaking to you, and purposefully focus on it, I would hear it.

  • Nais nods

<Genevriel> I also know always where the star at the centre of the Wheel is.

<Genevriel> Even if I can't see it.

<Patience> Another thing we should bear in mind is that there are forces in the universe other than the gods of Aveyrone. It's possible that your contact is with another being or beings entirely.

<Nais> With Serpent?

<Patience> Beyond that, even.

<Genevriel> Since you are called the Seventh, I must assume that it is the animal totem gods that... sent you back?

<DiablotinNarrator> They all nod in agreement, although Patience sort of hesitates a bit

<Genevriel> I feel like I must admit to you that I lost my faith in them early in the war...

<Genevriel> So I don't think it is them.

<Patience> I can't give them all the credit. I'm here in part because of the efforts of mortals - some I don't even know, others I've known for ... a very long time.

  • Patience says, taking Rab's hand for a moment
  • Rab smiles back at her

<Rab> I don't know if they require faith, precisely. Certainly there have been times when mine has ... wavered, when I've questioned their reasons for what they do to us.

<Rab> but it does sound like what you're experiencing is something different.

<Rab> for one thing... forgive me, but - you don't think you died, do you?

<Genevriel> I... don't know.

  • Genevriel looks a little distressed now.

<Genevriel> I mean, I don't think so?

<Patience> I think you'd know if you had.

<Patience> You'd not only feel different when you came back, you'd look different as well.

<Genevriel> My arms are different.

<Genevriel> I was burned, my skin slipped right off. I remember that.

<Patience> Different to the point of no longer being recognized as the same person.

  • Patience clarifies

<Genevriel> I carried the boy to a temple, and then... nothing.

  • Genevriel seems to be freaking out a little. Just bad memories. August can do his thing. :P

<Genevriel> Then clerics poking at me. My arms, they couldn't understand my arms!

  • August reaches over to put a hand on your shoulder, gently

<August> It's all right, Gen.

  • Genevriel 's wild gaze refocuses on August.
  • Genevriel looks embarrassed.
  • August 's touch, and his voice, seem to calm you somewhat

<Genevriel> I'm sorry.

<August> You don't need to apologize to us.

  • August reassures you
  • Genevriel takes some deep breaths to try to rein in her terror.
  • Genevriel manages to calm, with August's help.

<Nais> Yes... it's all right to be upset. You've been through something very strange, that's clear, and it's only normal you'd be troubled by it.

  • Genevriel shakes her head.

<Genevriel> They're all burnt, to remind me always of what I did.

  • Genevriel 's eyes fill with tears.

<Patience> I don't know why this happened to you. But I don't think it was a punishment.

  • August keeps his hand on your shoulder, comforting you

<Genevriel> I deserve it.

<Genevriel> I knew what we were doing was wrong, but I did it anyway.

<Nais> Even if you feel that's the case - don't others deserve it too? People kill and rape and make other people suffer, even when they know it's wrong, or for petty, stupid reasons. Why would you be singled out? I can't believe you're the worst person ever to live.

<Genevriel> I know... I know it's very stupid of me. I'm not special. I'm just trying to... trying to make sense of it all, and I can't!

  • Genevriel cries.
  • August will give you a hug, unless you try to avoid being hugged or seem to freak out more at that
  • Genevriel lets him hug her.

<Genevriel> I feel like a helpless, little child.

<Genevriel> I hate feeling like that.

<Genevriel> I'm sorry.

<August> None of us feel that you aren't special, or that you're stupid.

  • Genevriel tries valiantly to pull herself together because she knows she sounds like a stupid little child right now and it's mortifying.

<August> It's all right.

<Genevriel> I'm not special. Please, I don't want to be special. I just want to be normal.

<August> I don't know if that's possible. But I hope with time you'll be able to find a way to use what power you've been given, and to come to terms with your specialness.

  • Genevriel takes some deep, ragged breaths and tries not to wish she could crawl under the nearest rock right now.

<Genevriel> This- this isn't me, either.

<Genevriel> I don't have much control, like I said. I'm sorry.

<Genevriel> I came with some questions I hoped it wouldn't be too hard to ask or for you to answer, but I don't know if I remember them anymore.

<Nais> It's all right. I don't think any of us are going anywhere soon?

  • Nais says with a glance to the others

<Nais> You'd be welcome to come back when you like, if you need more time to think.

  • Genevriel pulls out a handkerchief and wipes at her eyes and nose in as dignified a manner as she can.

<Genevriel> Do you know of any gods who... whose hallmark is fire and healing?

  • August lets you go enough so you can do that, and gives you a bit of space, but stays close.

<Genevriel> I don't even know if that is a sensible question to ask, but if I don't ask anything, I will never get any closer to understanding.

<Patience> People in other lands follow other gods. And even among our people, there were other gods once.

<Patience> I don't know if that's what you're hearing - forgotten gods?

  • Genevriel shrugs helplessly.

<Genevriel> Do you know someone named Silvia?

<Genevriel> A woman on the Downs told me I should speak with her.

<Genevriel> Oh, there are probably a hundred Silvias in a city this size.

<Genevriel> She has mismatched eyes.

<Rab> I think I know who you mean. Silvia Rionet.

<Rab> She's a ... Channel, I guess is what they're called. The House Rat druids.

<Genevriel> What is she like? Do you think it might be helpful? Would it be safe? I don't know who to trust.

<Genevriel> I've probably already told too many people.

<Rab> I don't really know... I've met her brother before - the Lord Chancellor. Well, I met him before he was Chancellor.

<Rab> My understanding is that they - the Channels, I mean - do a lot of work in the Shambles. I think they're willing to speak to anyone who needs help. It couldn't hurt to see if you can talk to her, and get a sense of whether you want to open up to her about your experiences.

<Genevriel> All right...

<August> Are you feeling any better?

  • August asks, concerned about you

<Genevriel> About some things, or in some ways, maybe, yes.

  • Genevriel replies honestly.

<August> all right

<August> like Nais said, I think any or all of us would be willing to speak with you again, if you feel it would help.

<August> obviously I would, and I'm probably easiest for you to find :)

  • Genevriel nods and tries to smile.

<Genevriel> I should go, then.

<Genevriel> Thank you all, for making some time for me.

<Nais> Well, if there's anything we have a lot of, it's time.

  • Genevriel nods and smiles shyly, unsure if that's a joke and also acutely aware that she is 'other' than this group of people.

<Genevriel> Have a good afternoon.

  • Genevriel will head out.
  • Nais smiles back, suggesting it was meant lightheartedly
  • Nais will show you out