Diablotin 3 session 58

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 58 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: August 6, 2017
Diablotin date: Ninth-month

Prologue

<DiablotinNarrator> All right. It's the period between the death of one Emperor and the accession of another, which is always a strange and difficult time - not that any of you can really recall it happening before.

<DiablotinNarrator> (I think only Hugo is old enough, and he would have been a little kid?)

<DiablotinNarrator> The candidates who have put themselves forward so far will each have an opportunity to address the Great Council, and be questioned by them in turn. Once they've all had a chance to make their cases, the Great Council will make their decision, ranking the candidates in order of preference in order to determine who will go through the Arch first.

<DiablotinNarrator> The media coverage of the various candidates is of course extensive, although the ones attracting the most attention at the moment are Bryson Arguelles, a war veteran with a Psyrene wife, and Janelle Rionet, the daughter of the current Lord Chancellor, who is romantically linked to Ander Suterre. The Rat paper Nas Glas is the first to break the news that they are going to marry prior to the candidates' selection.

<Aubrienne> (Woo!)

<Denise> (:3)

<DiablotinNarrator> It also, perhaps not coincidentally, receives an exclusive interview with Janelle and Ander, conducted in Rat, so that other papers have to scramble around and try to get it translated to figure out what they were saying ;)

<DiablotinNarrator> (M. Suterre, don't you have a financial stake in this paper? Nah I just ... helped 'em get off the ground.)

<Dorien> (hee)

Dorien checks in with Nedezde

<DiablotinNarrator> Dorien, you wanted to talk to Nedezde some more? Where would you like to meet up with her? and do you want to go alone or bring anyone with you?

<Dorien> (Alone preferably, and pobably someplace neutral like a cafe or the library)

  • Nedezde can meet you at a cafe, sure
  • Dorien will show up dressed in decent, non-chemical stained clothing

<DiablotinNarrator> (ooh, fancy)

<Dorien> (Only the best)

<Dorien> Hey Neddie. Thanks for meeting me.

<Nedezde> It's no trouble. How are you doing, Dorien?

<Dorien> I'm doing good, all things considered.

<Dorien> Look, I wanted to apologize.

<Nedezde> For what?

<Dorien> For showing up unannounced with Misery at your place. And for dragging you into all this. I mean, we haven't talked in so long and then when I see you again its all interdimensional invasions.

<Nedezde> oh.... but it's all right. It's what I'm here to research. And it seems that you have other information and resources that I don't, so perhaps we can help one another.

<Nedezde> Neither of us want to see these creatures take over more people, or do more harm than they already have.

<Dorien> I know, and I'm glad for that. But I'm also glad to see you again. I feel like there's so much I need to tell you. Like I need to make up for lost time.

<Nedezde> oh?

  • Nedezde looks a bit puzzled, but pleased.

<Nedezde> I'm glad to see you again too, I admit... I always wondered how you were doing, after I had to return home.

<Dorien> Why didn't you come see me after you got back here?

<Nedezde> Well... because I wasn't sure if you would want to see me >.>

<Dorien> How could you think I wouldn't?

<Nedezde> I left so suddenly... I thought you might be upset with me for that. Or that you would have moved on with your life and forgotten me, and I would only be digging up painful memories by returning.

<Dorien> Oh...

<Nedezde> I mean... you clearly have moved on with your life. You're doing fine.

  • Nedezde adds hastily

<Dorien> I... I admit, it was hard for a while. A long while, actually. But you were my friend. I know we're both very different people now but I still want to know you.

<Dorien> I thouhgt maybe you wouldn't want to see me

  • Nedezde nods

<Nedezde> I don't know if I'll stay here... if I can find some answers, it might be necessary for me to return home to pass on what I've learned.

<Nedezde> but for the time I'm here, I'd like to get to know you as well. We can still be friends.

<Dorien> I understand. Though if you do go back, I would hope it's because it's what you want. But I just wanted to be sure that things aren't... you know... weird between us.

<Nedezde> weird?

<Dorien> I don't know. I just don't want you to be uncomfortable I guess.

<Dorien> Maybe I'm doing a bad job of that.

<Nedezde> What passed between us was very special to me. Now that I know you are well, and happy in your current life, there is nothing to be uncomfortable about. ... I think? Is there some human nuance that I'm missing here?

<Dorien> Well, seeing exes is always supposed to be kind of uncomfortable from what I understand. Especially when they aren't single anymore.

<Nedezde> I was only concerned at the thought that my presence here might cause you pain. If it doesn't, then all is well. I can't expect you to have waited for me - you have a very short lifespan, after all ;p

  • Nedezde teases a bit
  • Dorien grins.

<Dorien> Do you remember what you told me the night I found out you were leaving?

<Nedezde> which.. specific part?

<Dorien> About the stars, and how they'd always connect us?

<Nedezde> ah.. yes.

<Dorien> (...does it look like she actually remembers that? o.O)

<Nedezde> (you can roll Perception)

<Dorien> d20+17

<Dorien> !roll 1d20+17

  • Denise rolls for Dorien: [ 1d20+17 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 17 ] totals [ 25 ].
  • Nedezde does appear to remember it, yes

<Dorien> (ok)

<Dorien> I never forgot that. I just wanted you to know that.

  • Nedezde smiles

<Nedezde> I'm glad.

  • Dorien smiles as well

<Nedezde> Perhaps it is the stars that also have drawn us back together, for a greater purpose.

  • Dorien nods.

<Dorien> I'd like to think so.

<Dorien> Maybe I could help you with your research. We should meet at the library some time.

<Nedezde> All right :)

<Dorien> :)

  • Nedezde will name some times when you can meet up with her at the library.

<Dorien> (Cool)

Aubrienne and Titania get married

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, you've been busy for the past few days helping Tits deal with the aftermath of her father's death, which unlike most people's, includes things like 'preparing for a state funeral' and 'moving my things out of the palace'.

<Aubrienne> (I guess that means into her place?)

<DiablotinNarrator> Yes although probably some of it has to just go into storage for the time being, as her place can't hold it all.

<Aubrienne> (Kind of figured she'd have a lot :))

  • Titania is more or less keeping it together through the process, although she's tired and stressed
  • Aubrienne will do her best to be supportive.

<Titania> There's something else we need to take care of, before they pick a new Emperor and replace all the officials.

<Aubrienne> Oh?

<Titania> Well... about what my father said. About us.. getting married. I don't know if he had time to put that in writing, or even tell anyone about it.

<Aubrienne> Oh.

<Aubrienne> We don't have to worry about it right now, sweetie. I love you, I still want to be with you, but you have so much else to worry about right now.

<Titania> But if he did tell anyone, I assume it would be the Chancellor. It'd be him who'd deal with the logistical issues.

<Titania> And if the Chancellor is replaced in the next week, and we don't know who the new one would be or whether they'd accept that my father really did want this... we should talk to Guy now and see if he can at least get something solid down, so they can't change it later.

<Titania> ... assuming you still want to do it, that is

<Aubrienne> Oh, yes, absolutely.

<Aubrienne> Please don't doubt that.

  • Titania smiles a little at that

<Aubrienne> I'm happy to talk to the Chancellor whenever you like.

<Titania> All right. I'm sure he's busy, but I'll see if I can get a few moments of his time.

<Aubrienne> Okay.

  • Guillame is dealing with Marl's death + the bureaucratic ramifications thereof, and his daughter is a) running for Emperor and b) getting married. but sure he can squeeze you in ;)

<Aubrienne> (Heh)

  • Guillame will arrange to meet you in his offices at the palace, while he still has them. They're probably in the process of being cleared out.

<Titania> Thank you for making time to see us...

<Guillame> It's no trouble, what can I do for you, Princess?

  • Titania glances at Aubrienne

<Titania> Before he died, my father expressed his willingness that... that Mlle. Romilly and I should be allowed to marry.

<Titania> I just wondered - had he said anything about that to you, or put anything in writing?

<Guillame> ah... well, not precisely.

  • Titania 's face falls a bit
  • Aubrienne doesn't really know how to act in this situation.
  • Aubrienne 's does likewise.

<Guillame> But he did discuss it with me in relation to your brother.

<Titania> oh?

<Guillame> It's my understanding that he made a similar offer to Prince Leolin, obviously prior to his marriage, but the Prince elected not to pursue that course.

  • Aubrienne looks very surprised at that.
  • Titania as well

<Guillame> Your father discussed with me at that time what obstacles or issues there might be as a result of such a union.

<Aubrienne> And?

<Guillame> I know that he felt that, given the various possibilities for such unions to produce heirs, there was no other legal cause for concern.

<Aubrienne> That's good.

<Guillame> But there are broader ramifications - it sets a precedent that would consequently influence any other people in similar situations who wished to marry. Religiously, it may have complexities that I'm not well versed in. I can only speak from a position of what the law says and how the inheritance of titles and property would work, and from that perspective, I don't see any obstacles.

<Titania> So the church might object, but legally it's all right?

<Guillame> Yes, but it wasn't that long ago that the church also held that inter-House weddings weren't permissable, and that has changed over time.

<Guillame> Perhaps all it will take is some ... high profile examples, to show them that it's not going to cause problems.

<Titania> Well... probably we weren't going to have a church wedding anyway...

  • Aubrienne squeezes Titania's hand.
  • Titania says with a glance to Aubrienne, assuming we were going either the Serpent or Rat route ;)

<Aubrienne> Not exactly our style. :)

  • Guillame nods

<Guillame> Well... I don't know how you wish to proceed, but given that time is of the essence, and who knows what might happen next week, what if I were to draw you up a legal marriage contract today?

<Guillame> You could then have a ceremony of your choice whenever you wish - you'd at least have the paperwork to support you.

<Titania> You'd do that?

<Aubrienne> Oh, wow, really?

  • Guillame gives you both a Look :p

<Guillame> Yes, of course.

  • Guillame gets out some paper and starts drafting an official-looking contract

<Guillame> I think this is what your father would have wanted.

  • Guillame says as he writes away
  • Aubrienne smiles at Titania.
  • Titania smiles back

<Guillame> We'll need witnesses, of course, for the signatures.

<Guillame> I'll see who I can round up.

  • Guillame 's office staff are super busy right now but he can scrounge up Loick and Dozilva - they don't need to clear out the library, that stuff all stays, so they're not as busy as most palace officials right now ;)

<Guillame> All right. I apologize for the lack of more... formality, but we'll make do.

  • Titania is practically in tears

<Titania> Thank you so much...

<Aubrienne> We'll have the rest of our lives for formality. :)

<Aubrienne> We can't thank you enough for this.

<Guillame> Well, if this is my last official act before leaving office, I will leave feeling like I did something worthwhile.

<Loick> Besides, you won't be here to deal with the fallout :)

<Guillame> There is that...

  • Guillame passes the paper across the table for you two to read over and see if it all looks okay

<Aubrienne> (I assume it is?)

<Loick> (yes)

  • Aubrienne looks at Titania, smiling hopefully

<Aubrienne> Are you ready?

<Titania> yes :)

<Aubrienne> I can't believe this is happening. :)

<Titania> we'll have the rest of our lives to get used to it ;)

  • Aubrienne grins wider, then signs.
  • Titania signs as well
  • Loick and Dozilva sign as witnesses, Dozilva getting a bit teary-eyed too because she loves weddings ;)
  • Loick and Dozilva and Guy give you both hugs too :3
  • Aubrienne hugs everyone, kisses Titania and tells her "I love you"

<Aubrienne> Thank you all so much. :)

<Titania> I love you too :3

  • Guillame seals the paperwork so it's all legal and correct

<Loick> So, what's the proper way to announce this?

  • Aubrienne looks at Titania and shrugs.

<Guillame> With your permission, I can dissminate the information through the usual channels for palace announcements. We'll see where it goes from there.

<Aubrienne> Should we wait until we can do a ceremony?

  • Titania looks torn

<Titania> I don't want people to think badly of me for marrying so soon after my father's death. Maybe it's better to wait?

<Titania> but if this could allow other people who want to marry the opportunity to do so, is it selfish to hold it back?

<Aubrienne> I want to give other people the opportunity we have, but I also don't want to disrespect your father's memory.

<Guillame> It's certainly up to you, but - if we allow the information to get out, it's harder to take it back later. I would hope that whoever takes this position would honour the contract, but it's always possible they could try to put obstacles in the way.

  • Titania bites her lip, considering

<Titania> I don't really care what they think about it - there's going to be gossip and rumours no matter what. So let's let it out now.

  • Aubrienne nods.

<Guillame> All right.

<Guillame> I'll do my best to frame it respectfully and appropriately, and hope that it won't be too troublesome for anyone. But be prepared for the attention that will follow.

  • Titania nods

<Aubrienne> Well, we always knew we'd have to deal with some attention.

<Titania> It's sort of inevitable.

<Aubrienne> But we'll get through. :)

<Titania> yes :) Thank you again for all your help.

Hugo gathers information about Imperial candidates

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, Hugo, you wanted to find out more about some of the Imperial candidates?

<Hugonel> Indeed. Going to put on my most diplomatic scarf and hang out around the Palace and environs and check out any butts I can scuttle.

<DiablotinNarrator> Can you give me an idea of what sort of things you're trying to learn? I mean - more about their politics/positions on various issues, or personal gossip, or..?

<Hugonel> Who their bases of support / major supporters are, any links to anyone who I might consider problematic (crime, Cyst, etc.), etc.

<Hugonel> I assume none of them have too much in the way of a formal platform at this point, and if they do it will not be "Cyst for all!"

<DiablotinNarrator> okay, how about you make a k:nobility check and a diplomacy check for each of the major candidates (that's 5 of them, taken in the order in which I announced them last game). I'll assume you can beef up your checks as needed I guess :)

<Hugonel> ok, uh ... what is the order then?

<DiablotinNarrator> Bryson Arguelles, Revelyne Fourre, Tavar Estournel, Maryvonne Hartzell, and Janelle Rionet.

<Hugonel> ok, Bryson:

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+31

  • Denise rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+31 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 31 ] totals [ 33 ].

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+22

  • Denise rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+22 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 22 ] totals [ 41 ].

<Hugonel> (the +31s are Diplomacy, the +22 are K:nob)

<Hugonel> Revelyne

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+31

  • Denise rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+31 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 31 ] totals [ 46 ].

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+22

  • Denise rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+22 ] getting [ 20 ] which, after the modifier [ 22 ] totals [ 42 ].

<Hugonel> Tavar

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+31

  • Denise rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+31 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 31 ] totals [ 45 ].

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+22

  • Denise rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+22 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 22 ] totals [ 40 ].

<Hugonel> Maryvonne

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+31

  • Denise rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+31 ] getting [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 31 ] totals [ 35 ].

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+22

  • Denise rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+22 ] getting [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ 22 ] totals [ 29 ].

<Hugonel> Janelle

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+31

  • Denise rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+31 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 31 ] totals [ 45 ].

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+22

  • Denise rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+22 ] getting [ 1 ] which, after the modifier [ 22 ] totals [ 23 ].

<Hugonel> I'll roll a Destiny on that last one

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+22

  • Denise rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+22 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 22 ] totals [ 24 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay then

<DiablotinNarrator> I guess it depends on what you consider problematic, but: it's widely known that Bryson Arguelles' wife is from a Psyrene noble family, who were (mostly) allied with the Empire during the war. There are definitely some suspicions around her from people who are dubious about Psyra in general, and her motivations in particular. Rumours about them being separatist double agents, or the like.

<DiablotinNarrator> Bryson himself is pretty well respected, though. He rose through several field promotions, people who served under him or with him generally have good things to say about him. He's a career military type and people who know him seem to think he'd have advantages in future dealings with Psyra, should troubles break out again.

<DiablotinNarrator> He's on the conservative side in terms of things like finances, probably not the type to make radical social changes - he is probably the most popular candidate, at least among nobles.

<Hugonel> what is Bryson Arguelles' wife's name?

<DiablotinNarrator> uhh great question. if I had my NPC database I'd tell you ;)

<Hugonel> fair

<DiablotinNarrator> But of course Hugo can know that info, or find out more about her/ her family if you want.

<DiablotinNarrator> Hasaret. Heather found it in a chat log :)

<DiablotinNarrator> Did you want to roll on her and her family too?

<Hugonel> no that's fine

<Hugonel> we can keep going

<DiablotinNarrator> okay

<DiablotinNarrator> Revelyne: she's the Church's candidate, basically. Her mother is a high-ranking priestess in the Order of the Owl, and she's married to a Spokesman. She herself isn't a priest, of course, because priests can't run for Emperor, but the general impression is that she is very religious, and would take a pro-Church position on various issues. This of course could be a problem for people outside the Way of the Wheel.

<Hugonel> ok

<DiablotinNarrator> You believe that if any of the candidates are likely to be Colour Guard/Evictor types, or sympathetic to them, it would be her. Some of her associates are certainly in those sorts of crowds.

<DiablotinNarrator> Given the suspicions you lot have about various Church members and their Cyst influence, she could also be affected by that.

<DiablotinNarrator> Basically I think Hugo would have a lot of concerns about her.

<Hugonel> so presumably not the preferred candidate of Alma et al.

<DiablotinNarrator> No. Actually what you can find out re. Alma's position, which I don't think she's keeping secret, is that she didn't want any of her children to run, and supports the possibility of a non-Owl candidate. She similarly stepped aside to let Velten become Patriarch, so it would be in character for her to do the same this time.

<Hugonel> right

<DiablotinNarrator> Tavar Estournel is a rich asshole. He basically has a lot of money and not a lot of political ties. He's the Donald Trump of this election :p

<Hugonel> so he's going to win?

<DiablotinNarrator> heh

<DiablotinNarrator> this is a fantasy game, I don't have to let the asshole win >.>

<DiablotinNarrator> But he's likely to face opposition both from the nobles in the council, who don't think he's one of them, and from at least some of the commoners in the council, who object to him on the grounds of his boorishness or his family's history of anti-union, pro-business activities.

<Hugonel> ok

<DiablotinNarrator> But he can probably buy some votes ;p

<DiablotinNarrator> Maryvonne: the daughter of the Warlord, the youngest candidate at only 21. Some people will discount her because of her age, but she's very smart and has been raised around politics and the palace, so she knows how things work.

<Hugonel> are the children of current Great Council members viewed negatively for that reason alone, because of their ties to the previous administration?

<DiablotinNarrator> There can be that perception. Also in her case because she's Wolf/Owl, there's some resistance to her on the grounds of 'Wolf just had a turn'.

<DiablotinNarrator> Alma's probably pissed that she's running ;p

<Hugonel> because she's Cesar's daughter, or because she's part Wolf?

<DiablotinNarrator> Because she's Cesar's daughter and I think Alma would have expected her family to fall in line with her wishes, as usual ;)

<Hugonel> indeed

<DiablotinNarrator> Besides, at 21, they might get an extra decade out of her rule ;p

<Hugonel> Maryvonne the Even Younger?

<DiablotinNarrator> heh

<DiablotinNarrator> Of course, the Warlord has her own set of questionable associations - with the various military research projects and developments that have gone on. There is also the possibility of Cyst influence there.

<Hugonel> right

<DiablotinNarrator> or at least ethically dubious practices ;p

<DiablotinNarrator> Janelle: she's obviously the daughter of the Chancellor, she has similar issues to Maryvonne in that sense, in that she was raised in/around government and knows a great deal about it, only probably even moreso because she's 10 years older and has had more chance to observe

<DiablotinNarrator> Her forthcoming marriage to Ander Suterre is a big issue - you can certainly hear about Ander's war record (a plus for some people) and his mob ties (a minus for some people). Just the fact that she's marrying a non-noble is an interesting factor. She's positioning herself as a candidate for the ordinary people - not someone working to uphold noble privileges.

<Hugonel> what is the general sense among the nobility about whether this is the time for a Rat emperor, and whether that means a breakdown of the whole house cycle or just inserting Rat between Wolf and Owl now?

<DiablotinNarrator> I'm sure there are factions among the nobility, it's not just a single point of view. Some (like Alma and her faction) think that yes, this is the right time for a Rat emperor, and that it would be added into the cycle rather than eliminating it entirely.

<DiablotinNarrator> Others probably see this as a mistake, that it could cause chaos and upheaval, that House Rat hasn't been thoroughly integrated yet, they're still weird and different enough to cause concerns, etc.

<DiablotinNarrator> You think that overall the nobles are leaning more towards a conventional candidate like Bryson Arguelles. He's a safer bet. If Janelle can pull this off, it will only be because of the votes of the commoners in the council.

<Hugonel> two more questions: a) Is there any possibility of a last-minute surprise candidate or is the time for nominations over; b) if yes, any word on any dark horse entries that might surprise us all?

<DiablotinNarrator> There is always the possibility of a last-minute candidate (well, up to the point when the council votes. then it's too late ;) but so far no one you are aware of seems plausible. Certainly no other Rats are putting themselves forward, they're falling in behind Janelle to support her and not split those votes.

<Hugonel> ok, one last question then: who is Loick supporting?

<DiablotinNarrator> if pressed into an actual answer, Loick is in favour of Janelle.

<Hugonel> ok

Argent, Margaux, Denise and Enver chat with Chalniss

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent, you and Margaux were planning to sneak into the High Temple via secret underground tunnels and try to talk to Chalniss, the current Guardian of the Arch. Who did you want to bring on this?

<Argent> I wanted to see if Denise and maybe Enver could come for tunnel expertise

<DiablotinNarrator> gee I don't know if Denise likes secret tunnel expeditions ;)

<Argent> Although I'm fairly confident in my ability to navigate

<Argent> I know it would be a stretch, but I'll ask nicely

  • Denise can come but we'll have to work around Ander's schedule ;)
  • Denise can drag Enver and Lady along too

<Argent> Lady?

<Denise> our dog :3

<Denise> she's great in the tunnels

<Enver> Yeah, she'll be real good - she won't bark or nothin'.

<Argent> alright

  • Margaux is a bit nervous about this, but game to help with the navigating as well

<Argent> our goal is to sneak in and sneak out without being spotted

<Enver> What do we do if we do get spotted?

<Argent> assume that these are regular people just doing thier jobs... if we can subdue them, then we'll do that... if things go real bad, I'll stall and you guys can get away.

  • Denise nods

<Enver> okay

<Argent> if we run into anything unexpected, and not necessarily human, well thats a different story

<Argent> I'm not expecting anything like that, but its underground and with the strange stuff thats happened this year, who knows, right?

<Denise> right

  • Argent will Greater Longstrider himself, and Pass without trace the group of us, including Lady.
  • Argent then follow Margaux/Enver to begin this excursion

<DiablotinNarrator> Your group can make their way down into the undercity, following Enver's guidance of where best to enter, and Margaux's knowledge of the environs around the Temple itself.

<DiablotinNarrator> You can each make a Survival check and a Stealth check.

<Argent> (Ill use Blessed Infiltraion for the Stealth... Survival first)

<DiablotinNarrator> (or if you have K: local or Dungeoneering you can use that instead)

<Lan-cloud> !roll 1d20+10

  • Denise rolls for Lan-cloud: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 12 ].

<Argent> !roll 1d20+20

  • Denise rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+20 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 20 ] totals [ 32 ].

<Argent> (stealth)

<Argent> !roll 1d20+12

  • Denise rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 15 ].

<Argent> !roll 1d20+12

  • Denise rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 17 ].

<Lan-cloud> !roll 1d20+11

  • Denise rolls for Lan-cloud: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 23 ].

<Argent> (32 survival, 17 stealth)

<Denise> (12 dungeineering, 23 stealth ;p)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, well, between the four of you, you can navigate your way to the vicinity of the Temple without too much trouble, avoiding any major hazards on the way.

<DiablotinNarrator> You probably get wet but otherwise nothing too bad.

  • Denise falls into a pool *really* quietly ;p

<DiablotinNarrator> heh

<Denise> (but not a gross pool, I mean, I didn't roll a 1 >.>)

  • Margaux gets more wary the closer we approach, but she presses on

<Margaux> wait, it's around here...

  • Margaux says, stopping
  • Denise holds up

<Argent> What are we looking for?

  • Denise closes her mouth because Argent is faster

<Margaux> There's a secret door. I never had to approach it from this side before, but it has to be around here.

<Denise> Ooooh!

<Argent> everyone search quietly

  • Argent will then do so
  • Denise too

<DiablotinNarrator> You can make Perception checks

<Denise> (can I also try scent?)

<DiablotinNarrator> or Scent, if you have it

<Argent> !roll 1d20+26

  • Denise rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+26 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 26 ] totals [ 29 ].

<Lan-cloud> !roll 1d20+11

  • Denise rolls for Lan-cloud: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 14 ].

<Lan-cloud> !roll 1d20+12

  • Denise rolls for Lan-cloud: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 16 ].

<Lan-cloud> !roll 1d20+12

  • Denise rolls for Lan-cloud: [ 1d20+12 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 12 ] totals [ 25 ].
  • Enver also looks around, and points to an old, worn carving near the floor level.

<Enver> There's a Rat symbol - for danger.

<Argent> any chance it identifies what the danger is?

  • Enver crouches down to look closer

<Denise> we should brought hettie >.>

  • Enver looks a bit confused

<Denise> what?

<Denise> I just mean shes good at, like, traps an stuff

<Enver> <w> it's pretty worn, an' I ain't seen this before, but it's like ... sayin' somethin' like it's dangerous except for the right person? or the right people?

  • Argent will cast detect magic

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent, you are searching along when you find an indentation in the wall. It's subtle but it could be a pressure plate.

<Denise> well like... hmm.

<DiablotinNarrator> You don't detect any magic along the wall here, Argent.

<Argent> there is a pressure plate here

<Denise> well, we know our foks used to use the arch, right?

<Argent> and I sense no magic

<Margaux> wait... let me try it. maybe it's only safe for people who are... attuned to the Arch.

<Argent> ok

  • Denise nods
  • Margaux comes to where the pressure plate is and after a moment of closing her eyes and concentrating, she will press it with her hand.

<DiablotinNarrator> A segment of the wall slides out of the way and opens into a dark passage beyond.

<Denise> :D

<Margaux> this is the way...

<Enver> there's some places that are only safe for Rats to go... maybe it's like that.

<Denise> ...shoud we... do the thing? :3

<Enver> well, maybe.. we'd be harder to notice anyway.

<Denise> okay

<Denise> well, okay for us...

<Denise> maybe Lady can stay here an' guard?

  • Enver nods

<Enver> Lady, stay here, an' guard.

  • Enver gives her the command so that she'll alert you by barking if anyone approaches.
  • Argent will cast see invisible before we go in

<Denise> hush hush now, y'all :V

  • Denise will turn into a rat
  • Enver shifts as well

<Margaux> oh! @_@

<Argent> gift of the Wastelord, lets keep going

  • Margaux nods
  • Margaux heads into the passage, then
  • Argent follows
  • Denise scurries along

<DiablotinNarrator> It's not a very long passageway, and soon you can see light up ahead.

  • Argent does the quiet motion to Margaux, and slows the pace so we can approach quietly

<DiablotinNarrator> You proceed cautiously and emerge into what looks more like a basement room, lit with magical lanterns, rather than a sewer tunnel. There are some storage crates, barrels, a shelf laden with scrolls and books here, it looks like it could be beneath the temple.

<Argent> (empty of occupants but ourselves as we enter?)

<DiablotinNarrator> Yes, currently empty except for you

<DiablotinNarrator> There is a set of stairs leading up, and an arched passageway leading off to another room or hallway

  • Margaux looks around for a moment, getting her bearings, then gestures to the passageway
  • Denise scurries along ahead to check it out, carefully
  • Argent nods and will look down it from the corner of the entryway quickly
  • Denise is pretty quick as a rat, and good at staying hidden

<DiablotinNarrator> You believe it's okay to proceed. You don't see anything unusual or any people.

  • Argent nods to proceed
  • Margaux leads the way through the maze of hallways under the Temple. A couple of times you need to pause and wait as you hear other people moving around, but you don't encounter them other than perhaps a glimpse. They seem just like temple staff or priests going about their business.
  • Margaux eventually holds up her hand at a large, ornate door.

<Margaux> <w> in here...

  • Margaux listens for a moment, then carefully opens the door, which is not locked.
  • Denise will look for ratty ways in

<Denise> (or not ;p)

<DiablotinNarrator> Inside, it looks like a living chamber - there are some bookshelves, table and chairs, a couple of doors leading off to other rooms or places beyond...

  • Margaux smiles

<Margaux> <w> this is it :)

<Argent> <w> you lead, we don't want to spook her

  • Denise sniffs around to see if she can find the occupant
  • Margaux looks around carefully

<Lan-cloud> !roll 1d20+11

  • Denise rolls for Lan-cloud: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 30 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> Denise, you can pick up the scent of a person who smells something like Mireva, and follow it through one of the open doors where you find a young woman sitting cross-legged on the floor. She's half-shadar-kai and has pale blue hair, and looks quite young, like maybe 14 or so. When you approach she opens her eyes, which are also pale blue.

<Chalniss> I wondered when you would get here.

  • Denise squeaks and tries to look friendly

<Argent> you knew we were coming?

  • Denise will back up and transform into human self
  • Enver turns back into his human form as well
  • Chalniss nods

<Chalniss> I had a dream that there would be visitors soon.

<Denise> well... hi ;3

<Margaux> Do you remember me, Chalniss?

  • Chalniss nods
  • Denise say, chipper but quiet

<Chalniss> You came before me.

<Margaux> Yes.

<Margaux> We hoped that we could talk to you...

  • Margaux glances over at Argent

<Argent> yes

<Argent> I'm called Argent, these are my friends Denise and Enver

<Argent> its an honor to meet you

<Chalniss> Why?

<Denise> 'cause most folks don't get to, I guess?

<Denise> 'an you got a real special job

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> even if we sneaked in >.>

<Chalniss> They wouldn't have let you in otherwise.

  • Denise nods

<Argent> yeah, do we have time to talk uninterrupted?

<Chalniss> Yes, they won't return for some time.

  • Argent lets a sigh of relief with that assurance

<Argent> good

<Argent> we came be cause we are concerned about the Arch

<Argent> do you know about the Cyst?

<Chalniss> The ones who ventured beyond the stars? Yes, I know of them.

<Denise> the, um, kairti?

<Denise> Kaorti?

<Argent> It is an almost certanty that some of the Cyst/Kaorti have infiltrated the Church

<Denise> like, real important church folks

  • Chalniss nods

<Argent> and I fear that they may take steps to use the Arch to fullfil thier goals of invading this plane

<Chalniss> Yes, I've seen them.

<Denise> you have? :o

<Denise> you can see 'em?

<Argent> do you know who they are inhabiting specifically?

  • Chalniss nods

<Denise> do they know that? :o

<Chalniss> I can see the layers of their being, as they dwell within another living person.

<Chalniss> Well I haven't mentioned it to them.

  • Chalniss says calmly.

<Denise> good :3

<Chalniss> It seemed like a bad idea.

<Argent> who have you seen carrying them?

<Chalniss> Brother Cillard, Sister Harmony, Breyas who is one of the temple guards, Reverend Mother Nydia...

  • Chalniss names off a few people you don't know, and one you certainly have heard of

<Denise> :/

<Denise> they all Cats?

<Argent> I dont know the first three personally but I can find out

<Chalniss> Brother Cillard is, Sister Harmony is of the Order of the Bear, and Breyas I'm not sure of his House.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> we figured they were gonna try an put someone in the arch who can let 'em through, or somethin... I dunno how it works

<Denise> but if they got a temple guard...

<Argent> or at least set things up so they can use the Arch

<Denise> man now I don't ven know, teyr'e all kinds a stuff they could to to the other candidates when they come through

<Denise> if it aint' who they want :/

<Argent> Is there anything we can do to help you defend the Arch from them?

<Denise> an' like, protect the folks who're goin' through? >.>

  • Denise says, mostly thinking of Janelle but I guess the other ones who aren't cysty too >.>

<Chalniss> When the candidates come to the Arch, I will be there to guide them. If their intentions are malicious, the Arch will know.

<Denise> what if they do somethin' to you thouh?

<Denise> like... I'm just sayin

<Denise> what if? D:

<Chalniss> The Arch would protect me.

<Margaux> it can't always, though. If they come to you here, or when you're asleep...

  • Denise looks Concerned

<Enver> Maybe we gotta take those folks out >.>

<Denise> yeah.... an... maybe somoene oughtt stay with her, just in case...

<Enver> like, not kill 'em, maybe, if we don't have to, but get 'em out of where they can mess things up.

<Margaux> I can stay.

  • Margaux offers
  • Argent looks concerned

<Denise> :|

<Enver> or I could.. I can hide if I gotta.

<Denise> I woudl stay, 'cause I can hide real easy, but I gotta look out for Ander an Janelle, so she can be empress

  • Denise also looks concerned about that

<Denise> ug

<Argent> Margaux is the best choice... even if they find her here, it may not draw as much suspicion as Enver

<Denise> you think?

<Argent> she's the former guardian visiting the current

<Denise> I guess...

<Margaux> I can tell them that I had a vision, or felt called back here for some reason

<Argent> I'm sure its happened before

<Denise> SOme Reason >.>

<Margaux> yes

<Denise> They might not like that

<Argent> its a tulmultous time, stranger things have happened.

<Denise> does that sounds... okay to you?

  • Denise asks Chalniss?

<Argent> And I agree we Enver, we need to take out those that we know of.

<Margaux> ... if you can, you could get word to Silvia Rionet, and she can tell the others like us - the other former guardians. Maybe ... if we're needed... we could all be here.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> I can do that, I'm gonna see her at the weddin' :3

  • Chalniss nods

<Chalniss> How do you know the Arch hasn't called you back?

  • Chalniss asks Margaux

<Denise> too bad *you* dont got the gift of the wastelord....

<Margaux> I... don't know. The contact is lessened now, but there are still moments...

  • Margaux turns to Argent and gives him a hug and kiss
  • Argent holds her tight

<Margaux> I'll stay with her and watch over her. I'll see you again soon.

<Argent> Keep her and yourself safe

  • Denise will give her a a quick hug too
  • Denise will also offer one to CHalniss
  • Margaux hugs you back
  • Chalniss looks puzzled, but accepts

<Denise> is there anyone you want us to, like, say anything to, out in the world?

<Denise> Like, I know Mireva, and she knows everyone in the SHade...

<Chalniss> Mireva? oh... yes - tell her I'm well. She can let others know.

<Denise> okay

<Chalniss> My duty will not keep me here much longer.

<Denise> uh... I hope that's in a good way 3

<Denise> :3

<Denise> but I'll tell 'er

  • Chalniss nods
  • Margaux will remain behind, then, while the rest of you sneak your way back out.
  • Argent will look back once through the secret door and back in the tunnels, wondering if this is the right choice

<Denise> She'll be okay

<Denise> An we'll do our part

  • Denise reassures him
  • Enver nods

<Enver> Whatever we can do to take out those folks, we will

  • Argent nods

Ander gets ready to marry Janelle

  • Ander is all dressed up nice and fancy in his wedding suit, and waiting around before things start - Denise, you're keeping an eye on him and making sure things are okay ;)

<Denise> you look real swell, boss :3

<Ander> oh... thanks.

  • Ander seems a bit dazed and nervous

<Denise> you okay?

<Ander> Sure. Just... ain't every day you get married.

  • Ander says and then kind of laughs

<Denise> yeah, well :p

<Ander> Just every couple days

<Denise> you just did it like... yesterday :V

<Denise> yeah

  • Ander nods, shaking his head a bit like it's still hard to absorb

<Denise> that was rea sweet, you an Ralf, though :3

  • Ander smiles

<Ander> I was glad we could do it.

<Denise> an, like.....it made *me* feel like this coudl work out, at least, LI mean, it ain't for me an all, but still.

<Denise> I was worried a bit, 'cause I just want you to be happy

  • Ander nods

<Ander> thanks, Dee.

<Denise> But Janelle is real swell too

<Ander> I don't know what's gonna happen. There's a lotta stuff up in the air right now. But however all that shakes out, I think Janelle an' Ralf an' me can make a go of it.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> see, You'll be fine :3

<Denise> . o O (even if theres a zillion nobs everywhere now @_@)

<Ander> yeah, I hope so.

<Ander> Still, I'll feel better after all this is over.

<Denise> which part? >.>

<Ander> heh. well I meant the wedding, but the election an' all that too.

<Denise> the marryin' or the emperor choosin'?

  • Denise nods

<Denise> right? AN you're only engaged for a lil' bit

  • Denise teases

<Ander> That's true - didn't have much time to get cold feet, anyway.

<Denise> you're gonna have a real pretty weddin' too.... everythin's so fancy :3

<Ander> it looks real nice, from what I seen... Janelle wouldn't let me see her dress of course.

<Denise> an it's so nice out today too!

<Denise> well, I seen it an it's real pretty :3

  • Ander smiles at that

<Ander> well, good

<Ander> they're prolly gonna put pictures in the papers an' all that, so might as well look nice

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> :3

  • Denise fiddles with her hat, even though she'd probably not going to be in any pictures
  • Ander fidgets with his cufflinks

<Denise> (at leat not on purpose)

<Denise> No fussin', you look fine!

<Ander> okay, okay

<Ander> you look fine too - I like the hat :)

<Denise> thanks, I bught it special :3

<Denise> when I was out with Janelle

  • Ander smiles at that

<Ander> well it suits you

<Denise> that's what she said, so I figured I ought to get it...

<Ander> I said I could just wear my dress uniform but I guess a suit's better. I ain't army no more anyway.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> that'd woulda looked real swell too, but I liek the tuxedo

<Ander> thanks

  • Enver is now known as Bright
  • Bright gives a little knock on the door and pokes his head in

<Bright> They're ready, time to get in position

  • Denise nods

<Ander> Thanks.

<Denise> I'll take you up an then go sit down

  • Ander nods
  • Ander gives you a hug first, careful not to mess up your hair or anything
  • Denise hugs back, also careful not to mess up his clothes
  • Ander will then head out to his second wedding...

Solos

Denise asks Silvia if she can help protect the Arch from the Cyst

  • Denise will try and find Sylvia while things are getting set up, before anyone is here, after Parking Ander under Ralf's watchful eye >.>

<Denise> Um, Channel Sylvia, can I talk to you for a minute?

<Denise> It's important.... not a weddin' thing, but important

<Silvia> All right... what is it?

  • Denise looks around

<Denise> can we just like, go in a quiet room somewhere? >.>

  • Silvia nods

<Silvia> we can go in here

<Denise> thanks!

  • Silvia will lead you into her brother's library for a moment of quiet.

<Denise> so, um, it's about the arch

<Silvia> oh

<Denise> We wanted to go warn the arch guardian, Charnisse, 'cause we thought maybe that someone would try to mes with in while things are changin'

<Silvia> that wasn't what I was expecting, somehow.

<Denise> Like how they tried to use the Irminsul to bring he, uh, kaorti.. cyst things in

  • Silvia nods, listening

<Denise> anyway, we got in, an then in talkin' to her we got *more* worried

<Denise> so we left Margaux there with her in case they tried to do anythin' to her before the arch coud help her

<Silvia> they who?

<Denise> but they both said to let you know in case they might need all the guardians

<Denise> ...

<Denise> oh right

<Denise> um, so, she can *see* them

<Denise> the ones who have cysts in them

<Silvia> ... huh.

<Denise> an there are a bunch in the church for sure

<Denise> including one of the temple guards

<Denise> and the reverend mother of cat >.>

  • Silvia frowns

<Denise> an some other ones where she just gave us the names an' we don't know 'em, but they gotta be ones who are *around* sometimes if she's seen 'em

<Denise> but, like, the church is basically puttin' up their own candidate...

<Denise> so, we got worried. an' then more worried >.>

<Silvia> I can see why.

<Denise> yeah

  • Silvia sits down in a chair to consider this

<Denise> but Margaux said to tell you, an I know it ain't really the *best* time, but it's a time, and that's why we got :/

<Silvia> All right... so currently Margaux is staying with Chalniss?

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> we got in the under way, but I dunno if we could get back wthout some other arch guardian

  • Silvia nods

<Silvia> This is probably something that the Patriarch should hear about.

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> well I dunno about that

<Silvia> Because you don't trust him?

<Denise> I mean maybe you trust him an' all, but there's folkd around him that got loose lips an dangerous thoughts >:|

<Denise> an maybe he don't know who all they are.

  • Silvia nods

<Silvia> I understand.

<Silvia> Still, if one of the Reverend Mothers is compromised, it's going to be difficult to intervene without his aid.

<Denise> at *least* one >.>

  • Silvia nods
  • Silvia ponders a bit more

<Silvia> All right, I'll talk to the other guardians - the ones I can get in touch with quickly, at least.

<Silvia> If we go to the Temple together, present a united front, then there isn't much they can do about it.

<Denise> okay

<Denise> thanks.

<Denise> I'll... think about the Patriarch.

  • Silvia nods
  • Denise says, by which she means ask Argent and maybe Ander when hes less busy :p

<Silvia> We can help Chalniss to stay safe for now.

<Denise> and protect the arch?

<Silvia> And - yes.

<Silvia> Or at least, we can help her to protect it.

<Denise> okay. I'll let Argent know. I know he's worried.

  • Silvia nods

<Silvia> I'll contact as many of them as I can tonight, once the wedding is done, and try to organize them to go tomorrow. If I can't get them, I'll at least go myself.

<Denise> okay

<Silvia> Can you give me the names of the people Chalniss says are affected, so that I'll know if I encounter them?

  • Denise will repeat to the best of her memory

<Silvia> thank you

<Silvia> all right - go and try to enjoy the wedding :)

<Denise> okay, you too :3

  • Denise will slip off to find the groom, feeling a teensy bit better with that responsibility discharged

<Denise> (thanks Julie!)

<Silvia> (np!)