Diablotin 3 session 45

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 45 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: December 4, 2016
Diablotin date:

Prologue

Dorien learns about Claar's shifty research from Julienne

<DiablotinNarrator> Dorien, you are working at getting your new lab space set up. It's looking pretty good, you think, although it still needs more work.

  • Dorien unpacks some crates of vials and flasks.

<DiablotinNarrator> Have you formally quit your other job? I wasn't sure if you had.

<Dorien> (Depends. does it look like things are going to work out with the alchemy shop?)

<Dorien> (With Irrez, I mean)

<DiablotinNarrator> Well, Irrez seems satisfied with your products, and sticks to his deal as far as the percentage he was willing to give you. There hasn't been enough time yet to say how much income that will actually bring in, but it's working all right so far.

  • Dorien will go ahead and take the plunge. More time to spend on the lab means less time before it is profitable.

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay

<Dorien> (Assuming Misery is ok with that...)

<DiablotinNarrator> yes, she is

<Dorien> :)

<DiablotinNarrator> You're working away, when there is a knock at the door.

  • Dorien will wipe his hands and apron and hurry to the door. "Welcome to DrenCo, how can I help you?" he says as he opens the door.
  • Julienne Sormet is there, and gives you a smile when you deliver your opening spiel.

<Dorien> Mme Sormet!

<Julienne> DrenCo, that has a good sound to it :)

  • Dorien will give her a hug
  • Julienne returns the hug

<Dorien> It's good to see you!

<Julienne> You as well.

<Dorien> Come in

  • Julienne steps inside, taking a look around.
  • Dorien will move some boxes out of a few chairs

<Dorien> How have you been?

<Julienne> Busy, but that's good - better that than bored.

<Dorien> Definitely

<Dorien> How's the shop?

<Julienne> Not bad, although I've been focusing more on research and no doubt neglecting the business side of things.

  • Dorien grins.

<Dorien> I can understand. That's basically my whole business model here.

<Julienne> Clearly I taught you well...

<Dorien> I learned from the best.

  • Julienne smiles at that

<Dorien> Can I get you anything? We might have tea somewhere. As long as you don't mind it in a flask.

<Julienne> Tea would be lovely, thank you.

  • Dorien will fill a large beaker with water and set it to boil on a bunsen burner.

<Julienne> I was also hoping to consult with you on a particular matter.

<Dorien> Oh?

  • Dorien will raise an eyebrow

<Dorien> Of course. What's on your mind?

<Julienne> I don't know if you recall the substance I have been working with for the past year or so - the strange mutable liquid.

<Dorien> Of course. How could I forget?

<Julienne> Yes, well, it's quite a puzzle.

<Dorien> I suspect you'll find it's likely of First World origin.

<Julienne> It's interesting that you say that. What leads you to that conclusion?

<Dorien> Oh... I've had some interesting experiences since we last met. Suffice to say, it's shed light on a few mysteries of late.

<Dorien> What have you found in your research?

<Julienne> The substance is infused with primal energy. Its effects are unpredictable, seemingly random.

  • Dorien nods.

<Dorien> That's not unexpected for a substance of the fae.

  • Julienne nods

<Dorien> It would probably make it hard to make any use of it, though.

<Julienne> yes... it isn't marketable, certainly not in its current form anyway.

<Julienne> But that doesn't mean no one is interested in it...

<Dorien> Like who?

<Julienne> I had a visit from another researcher. Apparently she's interested in some of the same issues as I am, and had read some of my works. But I admit that, while it's flattering that someone is reading the things I write, the visit left me a little... unsettled.

<Dorien> That's saying something from a woman who can handle extract of bloodworm without gloves.

<Julienne> Well... I'm not overly fond of human experimentation. Except on myself, but I know what I'm getting into when I sample things.

<Dorien> She wanted to test it on people?

  • Julienne shakes her head

<Dorien> Did you get her name?

<Julienne> Suzetta Claar.

<Dorien> Damnit.

<Dorien> I've heard that name. And not in connection with good things.

<Julienne> She let it drop that she has some 'research subjects' and wanted my assistance in analyzing certain substances in their blood.

<Dorien> Mme Sormet, I think that might be a particularly bad idea.

<Julienne> I wasn't entirely comfortable with it, but I thought, okay, analyze the substances for her and it'll be done.

<Dorien> She was involved with some very shady business in the war, including some things related to the recent fae epidemic.

<Julienne> But what I saw in the sample she provided was worrying. It was human blood, but infused with similar sorts of primal magical energy as the strange fluid in my lab. And I don't know how that could happen. She could be dosing them with it, I suppose, but even then I would have thought the effects would dissipate with time.

<Dorien> Void...

<Dorien> Oh. Sorry.

  • Dorien watches his language around his old teacher.

<Julienne> I let her know what I found, and then told her that I was unfortunately too busy to assist further. But it's been worrying me ever since.

<Dorien> Have you told anyone else?

<Julienne> No.

<Julienne> I thought that was the end of it - at least, she seemed to accept the answer graciously enough, and went off.

<Dorien> And you haven't heard from her since?

<Julienne> No. But last night my lab was broken into, and my research samples and notes were rifled through.

  • Dorien sighs

<Julienne> Do you think it's connected, or am I reading too much into this?

<Dorien> I've seen too much in the last few months to believe in coincidences any more.

<Dorien> It's almost certainly related

<Dorien> Mme Sormet, would you mind if I consulted with some of my colleagues on this matter? I know they have a vested interest in Claar and her activities.

<Julienne> I suppose that would be all right.

<Dorien> In the meantime, I'd suggest staying away from her and putting that substance somewhere safe for the moment.

<Julienne> Well, I certainly wasn't going to seek her out. But I'm having additional security measures installed at my lab as we speak.

  • Dorien will grab the boiling water with tongs and pour out the tea.

<Dorien> Good idea.

  • Julienne will make further conversation with you over tea, and then head off, unless you had anything else to discuss with her?
  • Dorien will just commiserate about her experience and thank her again for all her help :) Possibly set up a lunch date sometime soon for after he talks to people.

<DiablotinNarrator> okay

Argent and Aubrienne case the "rest home"

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne and Argent are up next, if you're both around?

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - so, proceeding with your sneaky plan of sneakiness?

<Argent> (that is the plan)

<Aubrienne> (Yes, we will sneak, sneakily)

<DiablotinNarrator> So Argent is going to sneak and Aubrienne is going incorporeal?

<Aubrienne> (I had a question about a spell real quick, re: expensive material components)

<Aubrienne> (That is the plan, yes.)

<DiablotinNarrator> okay

<Argent> (so yeah, I wanted to approach the facility off-road, and get a tour of the outside, looking for security/other entrances/ and such)

<Aubrienne> (Visualization of the Body mostly just offers a +5 to skill checks related to a specific attribute (along with a one-time effect you can use that will end the spell). It already takes an hour to cast, and it also costs 200 gp for materials. Any way that can be a bit cheaper?)

<DiablotinNarrator> Yeah, that seems expensive

  • Aubrienne will follow Argent, figuring he knows best how to do the sneaky.

<Argent> (and if its a starry night, ill have the cloak of the dark tapestry on)

<DiablotinNarrator> maybe soothing incense worth 20 gp? that's still pretty fancy incense, but not like "as expensive as a car"

<Aubrienne> (I can work with that :))

<Aubrienne> (Then I'll use that spell for Dex before we go, so I'll be well-prepped for stealth)

<DiablotinNarrator> okay

<DiablotinNarrator> All right - I guess Stealth check then?

<Argent> (ill use blessed infiltration to roll twice and take the better)

<Argent> !roll 1d20+10

  • Zola rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 25 ].

<Argent> !roll 1d20+10

  • Zola rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 26 ].

<Argent> (so 26)

<DiablotinNarrator> okay

<Aubrienne> !roll 1d20+21

  • Zola rolls for Aubrienne: [ 1d20+21 ] getting [ 6 ] which, after the modifier [ 21 ] totals [ 27 ].

<Aubrienne> (Good thing I had the spells)

<Aubrienne> (Though that's basically for visual stealth, if that matters. I don't make any noise as a shadow unless I want to.)

<DiablotinNarrator> *nod*

  • Argent makes mental note to chat to Aubrienne about the whole Shadow thing later

<DiablotinNarrator> You can approach the facility, travelling stealthily off the main road, to observe it and circle around to look for security measures and other entrances.

<DiablotinNarrator> Perception checks?

<Argent> !roll 1d20+21

  • Zola rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+21 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 21 ] totals [ 24 ].

<Aubrienne> !roll 1d20+8

  • Zola rolls for Aubrienne: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 10 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 18 ].

<Aubrienne> (How close are we getting?)

<Argent> (really depends on how much cover there is)

<Argent> (at least initially)

<DiablotinNarrator> There are some trees, but those are a bit of a distance away, or you could try to get closer by crawling through some tall grass.

<Aubrienne> (I can make you invisible, if you want.)

<Argent> (that would make it much easier to get closer)

<Aubrienne> Let me double check a thing...

<Aubrienne> (I'll spend a point from my arcane reservoir, so you'll have 10 minutes of invisibility.)

<DiablotinNarrator> okay

<DiablotinNarrator> All right, so you want to approach closer for 10 minutes, then retreat back to cover?

<Argent> (yes, if it will help get a better look)

<Aubrienne> (In theory, I've got 3 castings of 2nd level spells left, if we need more invisibility.)

<Argent> (well approach cautiously, looking for any alarms or traps, just in case)

<Aubrienne> (I'd like to keep Detect Magic up as much as possible, just in case.)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay

<DiablotinNarrator> The building is mostly dark, apart from a couple of lights on in rooms inside. You can see a few entrances other than the main door - what looks like a servant's entrance at the back, for instance, and a patio door leading out to some gardens.

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, you do detect abjuration magic on the doorways, possibly they are Alarmed or otherwise warded.

<Aubrienne> <whisper> Doors are warded, but I'm guessing you already counted on that.

<Aubrienne> (Do the walls seem to be at all?)

  • Argent nods

<DiablotinNarrator> Not so far as you can tell. They're thick stone walls though, so fairly secure from mundane means of entry.

  • Argent will take a quick look in the garden, see if anyone is lingering in there

<DiablotinNarrator> As you're sneaking around, you do also observe that there are some security guards that patrol around the area, about once an hour or so. You can manage to avoid being seen by them, fortunately.

<Aubrienne> Do they patrol singly or in groups?

<Argent> (do they go in and out of the building?)

<DiablotinNarrator> They patrol in pairs, you see at least two different sets so that suggests at least four guards. They do go in and out of the building. Basically what you'll see is a pair come out, walk around the exterior checking things out, and then head back inside.

<Argent> <w> is thier door warded?

<Aubrienne> (Is it?)

<Aubrienne> (I'm assuming yes?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yes. so maybe they have some way of not triggering it? like certain alarm-type spells can be set to trigger on specific conditions and not others, that would be your guess.)

<Aubrienne> <w> Yes. We could try to get close enough to hear if there's a password, if it's Alarm.

  • Argent nods with that idea

<Argent> <w> well watch a door and before they're due, invis me and Ill listen to see how they bypass it

<Aubrienne> <w> Can do.

  • Aubrienne will execute that plan.

<Argent> <w> and see if they have magic on them when they come by

<Argent> (thats the plan)

<Argent> (so we wait and execute)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - Argent, you sneak close as you can to the door, and wait for them to pass by. You hear one of them whisper "Beseech" when they go to open the door.

<Aubrienne> <w> How dangerous do you think it would be to enter?

<Aubrienne> <w> Just to see if I can find Raimond and actually see how he is.

<Argent> <w> easy for you, you can walk through the wall... difficult for me, even invisible, since we dont know if there is someone physically watching the doors

<Argent> <w> and if we get caught this is all for naught

<Aubrienne> <w> I just mean, is it too risky?

<Aubrienne> <w> Yeah...

<Argent> <w> lets be patient, stick with the plan, and get Raimond out of here tomorrow night

<Aubrienne> <w> All right.

<Argent> <w> believe me, if there was an easy way, I would say we should, but by ourselves, its too risky

<Aubrienne> <w> I know.

<DiablotinNarrator> All right, so sticking around until morning to see what happens then?

  • Aubrienne says dejectedly.

<Argent> (yeah, which I think is just me, since Aubrienne's spell may run out)

<Aubrienne> <w> I spy, with my little eye, something shady...

<Aubrienne> (I've got 8 hours as a shadow)

<DiablotinNarrator> There are a few workers who come in early, around dawn - probably people like cooks, cleaners, that sort of staff.

<Aubrienne> (Though I'm obviously more visible in lighter conditions.)

<Argent> (nobody leaves?)

<DiablotinNarrator> No, nobody leaves. Perhaps the security guards stay on-site?

  • Argent will head back to town then... im sure Aubrienne will have filled everyone in on all the rest we discovered

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay.

Lathra and Leiris hear about Claar's research from some locals

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra, you and Leiris make yourselves comfortable at the inn, and he can manage to gather up a few folks to play cards with in the evening, to chat and hopefully drop some questions about the facility.

<Lathra> Oh goody!

  • Cloelia is an older woman, probably in her 70s or so
  • Hubert is a middle-aged man. Both are locals who seem to enjoy hanging out at the inn for social interaction and drinks.
  • Lathra also looks for anyone she might have spotted at the facility during the day
  • Leiris can get the game underway, and, as promised, will not play to win - or at least, not very much.

<Cloelia> So, what brings you to our little town?

<Lathra> Well unfortunately, we were visiting an acquaintance at the convalescence facility... so we decided to make the best of it and stay the night in this charming little inn!

<Cloelia> Oh dear, those poor folks. It's so good that they have people to look after them, though.

  • Hubert grumbles something, looking at his cards.

<Hubert> Would have thought they'd have hired some locals at least, though. Plenty of folks who need the work.

<Cloelia> Now, come on - my daughter works in the kitchen there. They did hire some.

<Lathra> Oh that's nice for her, at least.

<Cloelia> It's a good steady job. And she likes knowing that she's helping injured soldiers, at least as much as she can.

<Lathra> She's enjoying it, then?

<Cloelia> Well, the hours are hard, getting out to the manor house by daybreak. But she seems to like it. And she says some of the soldiers have recovered enough to help out around the place, which is good for them.

<Lathra> Ooh fingers crossed

  • Lathra nods at Leiris

<Leiris> It was very kind of the Claars to give their manor house over to make it into a nursing home, too.

<Hubert> Well, the old fellow didn't care for it much, from what I heard, but it's the daughter who runs the show there now, and what she says goes.

<Lathra> I'm relieved to hear your daughter speaks well of the place - I must confess our visit left me a little worried, especially after they talked about some of the patients being dangerous...

<Cloelia> Dangerous? Oh, well, some of them have odd fits and spells now and then, but not so that they'd harm anyone, I don't think. More likely to do themselves harm, poor things.

<Hubert> I heard one of them jumped off the roof. Killed himself.

  • Cloelia nods sadly

<Cloelia> That sort of thing, yes... very sad.

<Lathra> Oh gosh

<Leiris> That's awful, I'm sorry to hear that.

<Cloelia> Mme. Claar came to give her condolences. She keeps an eye on things that go on there, even if she doesn't live there any longer.

<Leiris> Did she move very far away?

  • Leiris asks curiously

<Lathra> Oh, my glass is empty, excuse me

<Cloelia> Oh no, not terribly far. The family have a hunting lodge, over near Beech Lake, and she stays there now, from anything I've heard.

  • Lathra visits the bar, and casts Build Trust a couple of times on the way back with her drink.

<Hubert> They've got a place in the city too, like all those rich folks do.

  • Leiris nods

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay, you can do that, Lathra)

<Lathra> Oh Lieris did you lose again? I swear you're the worst at this game.

  • Leiris chuckles

<Leiris> But I enjoy it, so I don't mind.

<Lathra> Well *I* enjoy this martini, so I don't mind either.

<Leiris> Good :)

<DiablotinNarrator> (was there more you wanted to add with them?)

<Lathra> (No, I think that probably covers it :/)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)

Dorien shares what Julienne told him to Aubrienne and Genevriel

  • Dorien will stop by the cabaret that night and try to get Aubrienne and Gen alone for a moment, probably at the bar.
  • Genevriel makes herself avaialble for the moment.

<Dorien> Hey there, gorgeous. How's tricks?

  • Genevriel looks around, assuming he's addressing someone gorgeous, and looks confused when she doesn't spot anyone.

<Dorien> (That was addressed to Aubrienne ;) )

<Dorien> (But he will smile and give Gen a hug as well)

  • Genevriel spots Aubrienne and puts two and two together.

<Aubrienne> You talking to me or the tall drink of water?

  • Aubrienne winks at Gen.

<Dorien> Can't be both?

<Aubrienne> Fair enough.

  • Genevriel looks awkward and confused.

<Dorien> Althoush she is my cousin, so... that's kind of weird.

<Genevriel> Yes. Very.

<Aubrienne> Buy you a drink?

<Dorien> You're a goddess of a woman.

<Dorien> Sorry to bug you guys at work, but something important came up.

<Aubrienne> S'fine. What's shakin'?

<Dorien> So my old master came to see me the other day, and guess who's name she dropped? Suzetta Claar. Apparently she's doing some kind of human experimentation with fae substances.

  • Genevriel sips a tall glass of water.

<Dorien> (heh)

<Genevriel> Why?

<Dorien> No idea. But she wanted Mme. Sormet to analyze blood samples for her, and after she backed out her office got broken into.

<Aubrienne> Blood samples?

<Dorien> From the experiment. She's somehow got people infused with some kind of primal energy fae substance. Very unstable stuff. totally unpredictable.

<Aubrienne> That sounds monumentally dangerous.

<Dorien> Yuuuuup.

<Aubrienne> But that seems in keeping with Claar's work.

<Genevriel> Not to mention unethical.

<Dorien> Incredibly.

  • Genevriel looks at Aubrienne.

<Dorien> But I'm not sure what we should do about it.

<Genevriel> So, you know this Claar person?

<Aubrienne> Of her, more like.

  • Genevriel looks curiously interested.

<Aubrienne> She was involved with the Irminsul stuff at Seda Grove, and the Shade, and just...if it's, well, shady and involves the government, she seemed to be mixed up in it.

<Dorien> Gen, I thought you might know her from your military days, or at least have heard of her.

<Genevriel> I wonder if she's behind the experimental farm...?

  • Genevriel muses aloud.

<Dorien> It's not impossible.

<Dorien> Seems like her MO.

<Aubrienne> She has a...well, they're calling it a convalescence home for veterans, but I think it's more like a research lab, a ways from the city.

<Genevriel> (I'd have to check with Julia whether I know anything about Claar.)

<Aubrienne> (Tuck, I'd have to check, but I think Cora confirmed that Claar was involved with the farm.)

<Dorien> Oh void... you don't think theyre using them as lab rats, do you?

<Dorien> (Ah, ok)

<Aubrienne> I had my suspicions, but, yes, I absolutely do now.

<Dorien> Fuck.

<Aubrienne> Eloquently put.

<Dorien> We have to tell someone. Or do something...

<Aubrienne> I wasn't sure the rest of the people there were test subjects, but if she's outsourcing sample analysis...

<Aubrienne> That seems like it's a bigger operation that I feared.

<Aubrienne> So, I may have a favor to ask in this regard, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

<Dorien> Whatever you need. What's up?

<Aubrienne> A friend of mine and Lathra's, one of her patients, is being held there. Do you remember Raimond? A few of us went into his head to get my brother?

<Aubrienne> The fae make me say really weird things sometimes.

<Dorien> Damn. I'm sorry.

<Aubrienne> It's a long story, but we're fairly certain the place isn't doing him any good, and, while his wife's lawyers are trying to get him out, we were thinking of, kind of, sort of, you know...rescuing him.

<Dorien> Dorien shrugs. "Wouldn't be our first B&E. I assume you guys have a plan? And what about the rest of the patients?"

<Aubrienne> That's my next concern.

  • Genevriel listens closely but her expression is unreadable for the moment.

<Aubrienne> We *do* have a plan, but it was just for Raimond. Maybe we can get some records while we're there?

<Aubrienne> Then we take it to the palace, see if we can get the place shut down?

<Aubrienne> My big worry there is this being officially sanctioned in some manner.

<Dorien> Yeah.

<Dorien> Well, you know I'm in.

  • Aubrienne grins.

<Aubrienne> You really can't shake the outlaw life, can you? ;)

<Aubrienne> Even as a respectable businessman.

<Genevriel> I'm concerned about being party to illegal activities... I've had quite enough of court already.

<Dorien> Then let's not get caught.

<Genevriel> BUT if you need someone who can heal and doesn't actually have to go into the building with you, I could linger somewhere outside?

  • Genevriel suggests.

<Aubrienne> Can you drive?

<Genevriel> Horses or vehicles?

<Aubrienne> A car.

<Dorien> ...can you drive a horse?

<Aubrienne> Though, now that you mention it, getaway horses would be quite dramatic.

<Genevriel> I grew up driving horses, but I did occasionally drive mechanized vehicles in the war.

  • Genevriel gives Dorien a look.
  • Dorien smiles innocently.

<Aubrienne> Well, we could use a getaway driver, if you'd be amenable. You wouldn't have to get involved in the actual infiltration.

<Genevriel> Hitching horses to wagons and carts? Then getting them to move, hauling the cart behind them? That's called driving.

<Dorien> I'm a city boy, remember?

<Dorien> I thought maybe you stuck a steering wheel on them.

<Aubrienne> You're the dumbest smart person I know, Dor.

<Aubrienne> :p

<Genevriel> Mechanized vehicles aren't so old and commonplace that you never saw a horse pulling a carriage or a cart.  :P

<Genevriel> I mean, they're still all over the place in Diablotin.

<Genevriel> Although cars are becoming more common, it seems.

<Aubrienne> (He lives in the Shambles, right?)

<Dorien> (Are they?)

<Genevriel> (http://rocksfall.org/wiki/The_Past_Thirty-two_Years#Technological_Advances )

<Dorien> So who else is in on this caper?

<Aubrienne> Lathra, Leiris, and Argent right now. I figured I'd talk to Denise and Hettie if Argent hasn't already.

  • Dorien nods

<Dorien> The gang's all here.

<Aubrienne> More or less. Zola and Hugo know Raimond, so I might talk to them, but maybe I has a bias about having casters along.

<Dorien> More spells are always a good thing.

<Aubrienne> Because you're not at all biased, either. ;)

<Dorien> Well, I guess let me know when you want to get everyone together.

<Aubrienne> Will do.

<Genevriel> Me, too...

<Aubrienne> Gen, you don't have to get involved if you don't want to.

  • Genevriel starts thinking about how to relate this to Madds (or not)

<Aubrienne> We'd be happy to have you along, but I don't want you to do anything you're uncomfortable with.

<Genevriel> I'm comfortable being an accessory, I suppose.

<Genevriel> Shorter jail time.

  • Genevriel jokes.

<Aubrienne> That's the spirit. ;)

  • Genevriel smiles weakly.

<Genevriel> If I could see the car you intend to use, and drive it a bit beforehand, that would be good.

<Genevriel> They all seem to be a little different. Clutch here, shift stick there, lights on this side of the wheel, or on that side...

<Genevriel> Gas cap on the driver's side or the passenger's. I really don't understand why they can't be standardized.

<Genevriel> While you are all in the hospital extracting the target, I can black out the license plate in case we're followed.

<Genevriel> Or just remove it entirely.

<Aubrienne> Oh, smart.

<Aubrienne> Yeah, you can take a look at it. I drove to work today anyway. I can give you a lift home if you want.

<Genevriel> All right.

<Genevriel> And I did spend a good chunk of the war behind enemy lines. I still remember a few of our tricks.

  • Genevriel smiles self-deprecatingly.

<Aubrienne> Well, hey, we can use all the expertise we can get.

<Aubrienne> I can make things disappear on a stage, but the closest I came to the war was helping with the dances for the soldiers on leave.

  • Genevriel smiles again.

<Genevriel> I didn't ever go to any of those.

<Aubrienne> Aww. Not a dancer?

  • Genevriel shakes her head.

<Genevriel> That was on of our secret weapons: the sight of me dancing would be enough to cause the capillaries in any watcher's eyes to spontaneously burst and fill the eyeballs with blood.

<Aubrienne> Well, that sounds quite effective.

<Aubrienne> I can see why you were concerned about frivolous use of such power.

<Aubrienne> Best to be careful.

<Genevriel> Indeed.

<Aubrienne> So what did you do in your down time? Certainly you had some leave.

<Genevriel> I read.

<Genevriel> Or went for long walks if we were far enough from the front.

<Aubrienne> You're from Psyra, right? Grew up in the country?

  • Genevriel nods.

<Aubrienne> That must've been nice. I'm a city girl like Dor.

  • Aubrienne laughs.

<Aubrienne> You know what I mean.

  • Genevriel smiles a little and nods.

<Genevriel> I loved it. I really did.

<Genevriel> But... I guess our neighbours weren't so fond of us. We were part of the settlement scheme, and I suppose there was some arrogance in that.

  • Genevriel says regretfully.

<Genevriel> We didn't belong there.

<Aubrienne> I'm sorry you feel that way.

<Aubrienne> Maybe the circumstances weren't great, but it sounds like it was a good fit for you.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Aubrienne> Anyway, I should get backstage, but I'll see you after work.

  • Aubrienne gives Gen a cheerful smile.
  • Genevriel nods again.

<Genevriel> Thanks. Good l- no, I mean "break a leg" with your set.

  • Genevriel hopes she used that idiom that the performers seem to use correctly.

<Aubrienne> You're sweet. Have a good rest of your shift.

<Genevriel> Thank you.

  • Genevriel heads back to work.

Genevriel attends Guydain Larache's sentence hearing

<DiablotinNarrator> Gen, the phone rings at Madds' apartment mid-morning after he has already left for work.

  • Genevriel answers it blearily. "Hello?"

<Madds> Hi, sorry to wake you.

<Genevriel> It's all right... It's about time I woke up anyway.

<Madds> I wanted to let you know that they've reached a verdict in Guydain Larache's trial. It'll be this afternoon.

<Madds> I wasn't sure if you would want to be there or not.

<Genevriel> Um... I hadn't really given it much thought. Or any at all.

  • Genevriel admits.

<Genevriel> I guess the Psyrene boy might be there, though. I suppose I could go for him.

<Madds> Well, I'm planning to go. It's up to you if you want to be there, or just want me to tell you about it afterwards.

<Genevriel> I'm not really keen on it - I'd rather not remind Larache that I exist. Do you want me there, though?

<Madds> It doesn't matter to me. But like you said, perhaps the boy will be there, or other people that you might have more interest in seeing again.

  • Genevriel thinks about it for a moment, then agrees.
  • Madds lets you know the time and location, then.
  • Genevriel reschedules her homeless healing and feeding rounds around the trial and her shift tonight.

<DiablotinNarrator> You go to the court for the appointed time, and can meet up with Madds there.

<Genevriel> Hi.

<Madds> Hello, how are you doing?

  • Genevriel shrugs.
  • Madds offers his hand.

<Genevriel> Not really feeling anything, to be honest.

  • Genevriel takes it.

<Genevriel> Let's find somewhere at the back of the courtroom, though.

<Madds> Sure.

<DiablotinNarrator> The courtroom is quite crowded, but you can find a couple of seats toward the back.

  • Genevriel is grateful for the crowd, and hopes that means Larache won't notice her at all. She will scan for familiar faces, like old squadmates and the Psyrene boy, though.

<DiablotinNarrator> You do spot some familiar faces. You see Polly Hayn, Meg Topher, and Cydoran Vell, from your former squad, and you can also see Tehan, the boy you saved, more towards the front of the crowd.

  • Genevriel tries not to attract anyone's attention but if she catches the eye of Polly or Tehan she will give them small shy smiles.
  • Genevriel settles in for the sentence hearing.

<DiablotinNarrator> The accused is seated with his lawyers, of course, and doesn't appear to notice you.

  • Polly smiles back and gives you a little wave, while Tehan looks at you curiously but doesn't wave or smile back.
  • Genevriel didn't expect him to; she murdered his family and friends, after all.

<DiablotinNarrator> The justices arrive and take their seats, and the courtroom falls quiet at the call for order.

<Judge> The defendant, Guydain Larache, is charged with war crimes and torture.

<Judge> He is hereby found guilty of the charges, and is sentenced to a term of ten years' imprisonment.

  • Judge calls the case closed and the prisoner is escorted away by guards.

<Madds> well.. that's over with, then.

<Genevriel> Unless he escapes.

<Genevriel> Or someone breaks him out.

<Madds> Possible, I suppose, but they'll be taking him to one of the isolated military prisons, not just sticking him in the Creux with the general population.

  • Genevriel nods. "They have to get him there first, though."

<Madds> I know you're bracing yourself for something to go wrong.

  • Genevriel scans the crowd for Polly, Tehan, Meg, and Cydoran's reactions to the sentence.

<Madds> But they do take precautions when transporting prisoners.

<Genevriel> I know. But my whole experience of the whole war was utterly vile so I tend to be pessimistic about anything related to it.

<DiablotinNarrator> Polly seems relieved, Tehan seems calm, Meg seems concerned and is frowning, Cydoran's expression is hard to read - maybe resigned?

  • Genevriel turns her attention back to Madds.

<Genevriel> I'm sorry.

<Madds> What for?

<Madds> It's all right to be worried - I was just trying to reassure you that things are not necessarily going to go horribly wrong :)

<Genevriel> For coming down so hard on the military. I know it's important to you. But you were absolutely right: I should never have enlisted.

  • Madds looks puzzled.

<Madds> It can be important to me and I can still acknowledge that the war was terrible and you have every right to be concerned.

  • Polly makes her way through the crowd towards you.

<Polly> Good to see you again :)

<Genevriel> Hi, Pol. How are things out at the experimental farm?

<Genevriel> Oh, and I forget my manners.

  • Genevriel formally introduces Madds and Pol.

<Polly> Oh, things are going well.

<Polly> Nice to meet you.

  • Polly says to Madds

<Madds> Likewise.

<Polly> How are you doing?

<Genevriel> Better, in general, thanks. And you?

<Polly> Well, relieved that all this is over.

<Polly> It seemed to drag on forever, but I guess they have a lot of cases to handle.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Polly> I was thinking I'd ask if Meg and Cy wanted to go out for dinner, while we're all around - would you like to join us?

<Genevriel> Ummm...

<Genevriel> Sure, I guess.

  • Genevriel dreads the dinner conversation. What do they have to talk about except the war? :/

<Genevriel> I work a lot of nights, though, so... I'll need to know what night well in advance so I can get time off.

<Polly> Oh, I meant tonight. I think Cy is going back to Ariege soon, he was just in town for this.

<Polly> But we could make it early enough for you to still get to work?

  • Genevriel 's quick flare of hope that she can avoid the awkward conversation is quelled.

<Genevriel> Sure... I have to be at work for 6, though.

<Polly> Ah, you'd be welcome too, of course.

  • Polly says to Madds with a smile.
  • Madds glances at you to get a sense of whether you'd like him to come, or rather have time with your former squadmates without him there.
  • Genevriel looks rather desperately reluctant to go to dinner with them and flashes him the look of a drowning rat. Or wolf. A drowning something. She probably would not mind having Madds there.

<Madds> Thanks, that would be nice.

<Polly> Great. I'll make a reservation at Pascale's, for four? That should give us enough time, hopefully.

  • Polly heads off to also talk to the others and presumably relay the same information to them.

<Genevriel> Great!

  • Genevriel 's smile is more of a rictus and quickly fades since Polly is already heading away.

Hugo gets a call from a concerned Dasra

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo, you are up next

<DiablotinNarrator> You get a phone call.

  • Hugonel is organizing his scarves by length, weight, and colour when the phone rings.
  • Hugonel answers

<Hugonel> Hello?

<Dasra> Hugo, they have Raimond at this terrible place, and Lathra says they heard people screaming there, and I don't know what to do....

  • Dasra says all in a rush

<Hugonel> Hold on, hold on, hold on there! Dasra? Just ... all right, start from the beginning.

  • Hugonel sits and pulls out a notepad from the desk, just in case one is needed.
  • Dasra takes a deep breath, trying to calm herself down

<Dasra> Raimond's mother took him to this care home in the countryside. And they won't let me in to see him, I tried. So I asked Lathra if she could try, and she went there with some friends I guess.

<Dasra> They were let in on some little superficial tour, and then sent off again without having seen him. But they heard someone scream, and the staff seemed worried or anxious or ... I'm not sure, but they don't think it's a good place.

  • Hugonel starts jotting down something, then pauses when he hears that last bit.

<Hugonel> This is on Suzetta Claar's recommendation?

<Dasra> Yes, it's her family home that's been turned into a nursing home.

<Dasra> I don't know if she's in charge of it, or what, but she was the one who talked Raimond's mother into it.

<Hugonel> A nursing home - where there are many people being held?

<Dasra> Yes, I suppose so? I don't think they got to see enough of it to say, but he can't be the only one, right?

<Hugonel> I have no idea, Dasra darling. I ... this is all very perplexing, although I'm starting to get a sense that this is not just about Lady Drusilla's personal concerns.

<Dasra> What is it about, though? And why won't they let me in to see my husband?

<Hugonel> Well, that's downright wrong, possibly illegal, although I'm not a lawyer.

<Hugonel> What can I do to help? I know my uncle is no fan of Ms. Claar.

<Dasra> Well, Lathra said she was going to keep working on it, I don't really know what she's got planned.

<Hugonel> She's still out there now, or back in the city?

<Dasra> She's coming back tomorrow.

<Dasra> (I say, assuming this is the day Lathra phoned Dasra from the inn)

<Hugonel> All right, well of course I'll talk to her when she gets back, and these friends of hers, whoever they may be.

<Hugonel> . o O (I can guess ...)

<Hugonel> Are you alone, then? Do you have anyone who can be with you? You shouldn't be alone at a time like this.

<Dasra> Yes, I'm alone. But...

  • Dasra hesitates

<Hugonel> But what?

<Dasra> But you shouldn't come over.

<Hugonel> All right ... because you're concerned about how it would look?

<Dasra> Because I'm concerned about what I would do.

<Dasra> because I would want to be close to you, and then would feel awful afterwards.

<Hugonel> I understand. What about a relative or a friend you can trust?

<Dasra> It's hard not being able to explain what's happening to people, but I'll call a friend.

<Hugonel> That's good, at least.

<Hugonel> Is there anything else I can do for you until I talk to Lathra?

<Dasra> just... stay on the phone with me for a little longer?

<Hugonel> Of course, of course. At a time like this, just a little bit of the everyday.

<Hugonel> Has your garden been coming in well after such a long winter?

<Dasra> Hugo... *sigh* Yes, it's been doing well, but the bulbs took forever to sprout...

  • Dasra can make more ordinary conversation for a little while until she's calmer.

<Hugonel> Sometimes I wish I had a place where I could grow something ... although I admit, my history with plant life is far from triumphant.

  • Dasra chuckles a little

<Dasra> You gave me that bouquet of irises once, remember? I was impressed you asked around to find out what flowers I liked, and then you went and ruined my illusions by saying they had been on sale.

  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> I was demonstrating my frugality. Or making a joke to pretend that I hadn't spent an hour wandering around the Pav looking for the place that had them. One or the other.

<Dasra> mmhmm.

<Hugonel> When this is all done, you and Raimond can invite me over and I'll pay full price for the irises I bring over this time.

<Dasra> maybe. maybe we can.

<Hugonel> Until then, Dasra, rest assured that you have many, many friends to see you through this. She can't keep your husband captive from you against your will, not legally.

<Dasra> thank you, Hugo. I hope you're right.

<Hugonel> I'll call you back as soon as I know more, all right?

<Dasra> Please do. Thank you.

<Hugonel> Until then. Goodbye.

Zola and Noren discuss the Bloodforged suit

<DiablotinNarrator> Zola, Noren goes to work and campaign stops as usual for the next few days, without further assassination attempts.

  • Zola insists he get his parents to buy him an Amulet of Bullet Protection though
  • Zola also buys a nice set of his & hers pistols

<DiablotinNarrator> heh, fair

<Zola> .oO( Something with a little more oomph. )

<Zola> (I assume it made it into the news?)

<DiablotinNarrator> Yes, there would have been news, and time spent talking to the cops.

  • Zola has Bastien field reporter questions
  • Noren is a bit more on edge than before, but determined to keep going.
  • Zola does her best to be supportive and help him relax at the end of the day (:V)
  • Noren appreciates your efforts I'm sure

<Noren> I was thinking...

<Zola> Mmm?

  • Noren says, cuddled up with you sometime early in the morning
  • Zola looks up, then reaches up to straighten his bed-moustache
  • Noren smiles

<Noren> If this attack really was in relation to the case at work, maybe the people who want to bring the suit would have some clue of what it's all about, or what they're trying to achieve.

<Zola> They might indeed.

<Zola> Or if Audemars is involved...

  • Noren nods

<Noren> I just don't know if it's reasonable or... ethical, I guess, to ask them.

<Zola> Why wouldn't it be ethical?

<Zola> I cracked your ethics TOME once but I shut it pretty quick.

<Noren> These people have already demonstrated their willingness to attack, perhaps even to kill - if they were to learn that these clients were providing information, it might make them targets as well. I guess I just don't know if involving them in this is fair to them, or if it would be putting them at risk.

<Zola> Hmm, that's true... but they were all soldiers weren't they? Maybe that's a question for them to answer.

  • Noren nods

<Noren> And they've already approached the firm, so I suppose they've already expressed a willingness to give information connected to their case, and might already be aware of possible risks.

<Zola> I'm sure they've imagined risks, if the people who did this are so callous.

<Noren> it feels different to put them at risk for my own self-interest, though.

<Zola> Is it only for your self-interest?

<Zola> Don't getme wrong, babe, I am a little motivated by revenge right now...

<Noren> I don't know.

  • Zola gives him a kiss on the cheek
  • Noren smiles at that

<Zola> But maybe they deserve what's coming to them. Maybe everyone is better off that way.

<Noren> You're cute when you're vengeful.

<Zola> The case is for the government... someone at the top let it happen, and they can't pass the buck. But someone else did the dirty work, and they should pay for it.

<Noren> That's part of my worry, I suppose.

<Noren> I don't know how high this goes.

<Noren> Or how aware people in power were of what was happening.

<Zola> You weren't even hurt, and I don't care how high up it goes.

<Zola> Who's to say they'll feel any different, when they've really suffered for it?

  • Noren nods

<Zola> After all, suing the military itself is no small goal.

<Noren> yeah... it might be an impossible goal to achieve. But even if we fail, it would at least bring things to light.

  • Zola nods

<Zola> And if you succeed, it'll be good for your career :)

  • Zola teases

<Noren> Maybe what I need to do is have a talk with them, off the record, and let them know about the attack - assuming they haven't already read it in the papers - and find out where things go from there.

  • Zola nods

<Zola> If you're honest, I think there's no unfairness to it.

<Noren> If they want to talk about it, it'll be their own choice.

<Zola> Do we know what we're going to do with it yet... any information?

<Noren> Do with what, sorry?

<Zola> ... well, I guess I mean are we going to keep digging into things on our own...

<Zola> Or handle things on our own if we have to.

<Noren> Well, the guards are theoretically investigating, but I don't know how that'll go, or if it will result in anything.

  • Noren doesn't seem overly confident

<Zola> That gal Denise says she's been digging into it too.

<Noren> If we dig into things on our own, and find out something important, we can always take it to them.

<Zola> Maybe, but that might just tip them off too, if they've got friends in high places.

<Noren> I suppose so...

<Noren> We'd have to decide based on what we were able to find.

  • Zola nods

<Zola> That's fair...

  • Noren sighs

<Zola> ...but if things turn out complicated... maybe the police aren't who need to learn about it?

<Noren> maybe, yeah.

  • Zola nods grimly
  • Zola leans in to hug you
  • Noren holds you close

<Noren> We'll figure things out.

<Zola> We will.

<Zola> The idea of the benefit concert's still on the table too... you ask your clients... we could put our thumbs right in that bitch Claar's eye.

  • Zola says half joking

<Noren> heh

<Noren> Well, I don't know - I can ask them how they'd feel about that too, I guess.

<Noren> It's a nice idea.

<Zola> After a few nights sleep it does seem a little brash...  :P

<Zola> But if they sound angry and defiant... I think I'm still in...

<Zola> I could pick out a nice bullseye dress

<Noren> Even if you wanted to do a concert, and then donate the money quietly to their legal fund, it might work?

<Zola> Yeah, we could do that too.

<Zola> Or some other sort of fund for them.

<Zola> It's not like you're hurting for imps :)

  • Noren nods

<Noren> Well it isn't just *me* that it would pay, but that's fair. A fund for medical care?

<Zola> Yeah, or both... I know not everyone there's gonna be like you and Justen... :)

<Noren> heh

<Zola> If we DO send a message with the concert, do you think I should hold off on my big reveal?

<Zola> I guess it depends on what the message is... exactly.

<Noren> Yeah, I don't know.

<Noren> Let's wait and see what they say, I guess, whether they're even comfortable with a fundraiser or not.

  • Zola nods

<Zola> You can tell them I can be tasteful if I've got to be :)

<Noren> heh

  • Zola sits up and flips a leg over Noren
  • Zola straddles him

<Zola> IF I have to be :)

<Noren> well you certainly don't have to be right now...

  • Zola practices her tasteless language before noren has to go to work
  • Zola shops for his & her shotguns in case things go bad

<Zola> :V

Denise tells Argent about Servan's latest escapade; they check out his sister at the barber shop

  • Denise will let Argent in when he shows up, but uncharacteristically doens't have any baking or other home cooking to offer

<Argent> Hey, how are things?

<Denise> well.....

  • Argent says as he walks in

<Denise> you hear about Zola's guy?

<Argent> No, what happened?

<Denise> He got shot at - by Servan Aigel an' his leggy gal pal

<Argent> so they've emerged from hiding. Is he alright, Zola's guy?

<Denise> yeah he's okay

<Denise> Zola said it was probably about some lawyerin' stuff - I guess some of the Bloodforged are tryin' to sue, an he's dealin' with that

<Argent> at least he was ineffective again

<Argent> but maybe this will make him easier to find

<Denise> I figure that was her - she ai't a great shot :p

<Denise> I hope so

<Denise> ow's things with you?

<Argent> been busy with a couple of things, speaking of, one which I would like your help with.

<Argent> you remember Raimond... tree dream guy?

<Denise> oh yeah!

<Denise> has he still got a tree in his head?

<Argent> well Suzetta Claar has him interred at a facility outside of town and wont even let his own wife see him... saw the facility, very shifty

<Denise> :|

<Denise> that ain't no good

<Argent> no its not

<Argent> so I'm organizing a breakout

<Denise> oh yeah?

  • Argent nods

<Argent> I'm gonna need some muscle, preferably with some fists attached.

<Denise> Gonna bust out of his dream an carry him off? ^-^

<Denise> well I'm in

<Argent> may need someone with some shifty skills as well. You think Hettie would be willing to help as well?

<Denise> well, Claar's mixed up in the bloodforged stuff, so she might.

<Argent> and apparently I really like the word shifty tonight

<Denise> if we can figure more out 'bout what

<Denise> is goin' on with that

<Argent> yeah there are bloodforged there.

<Argent> saw some

<Denise> huh

<Denise> well

<Denise> for sure I bet she would be in then

<Argent> that would be a side mission to try and get more info on them

  • Denise nods

<Argent> but I dont see why we couldn't take advantage of being there

<Denise> right

<Denise> well, I trust you to set thigs up, but you let me know if there's anythin' else I can help with

<Argent> its a few hours outside of town, so we'll probably need some transport... be suspicious all squeezing into Aubrienne's car.

<Denise> okay

<Denise> I can sort that out I bet

<Argent> I mean it could work, a few folks as rats and stuff, but I really dont think thats what we really want to be doing

<Denise> nah

<Denise> not if we gotta get a sick guy out

  • Argent nods in agreement

<Argent> getting the team back together for another adventure, just like Amanita... at least I'm not expecting to be sucked into the first world this time... I hope

  • Argent is excited

<Denise> so we' re not goin' in through his head? ^-^

<Argent> already cased the joint, have a good idea how were gonna get in... sucks that the guards bunk there, means we need to be careful.

<Denise> I mean at lest we know how to get out :V

  • Denise nods

<Argent> the idea of going through his head, while novel, may not be as effective as we hope... if they're messin' with the tree there, it may not be stable.

<Denise> oh, hmmm

<Denise> that's too bad

  • Denise sounds disappointed

<Denise> it was kinda neat last time

<Denise> I guess wed need someone to take us through the drream or to the right spot or whatever anyway :

<Denise> :/

<Denise> I don't know if any of our folks can do that

<Argent> not that I'm aware of, and this may not be all on the up and up, considering we really don't know how much official approval Claar has for doing any of this.

<Denise> well, shoot

<Denise> well, we'll get him out, one way or another

<Denise> but I still wanna go talk to Aronne, if you'll come with me

<Argent> ok

<Argent> we're being upfront right

<Denise> yeah, basically

<Denise> 'Cause I'm shit at lyin' mostly

<Denise> I'm gonna tell her we're tryin' to find someone who was at that place an we heard her brother was there

<Denise> does that sound okay?

<Argent> well thats mostly true, so yeah sounds good

  • Denise nods

<Denise> okay then

<Denise> we can stop by her shop - I think her da' been pretty busy with election stuff so hopefully he wo't be in >.>

<Denise> or it'll be busy enough we can talk to her anyway

<Argent> alright

<Denise> I wanna keep outta his hair, so as not to get the boss in trouble

  • Denise will go to the barbershop then and peek from across the street at who may be there at the moment >.>

<DiablotinNarrator> There are customers, and the other barber you saw before, the one who isn't her dad, and Aronne is also there, currently sweeping up.

<Denise> hmmm

<Denise> I guess if you go in an get a cut, you can listen while I talk to her maybe, I dunno...

<Argent> ok that will work I guess, or we can just catch her on her way home?

<Denise> well, she lives at the shop

  • Denise points at the upper story

<Argent> well that wont work, so, ill get a cut and you talk to her, maybe get a coffee afterwards.

<Denise> okay

  • Argent will head in to do that
  • Aronne comes over to greet you with a smile when you walk in

<Aronne> Hello there, how can I help you?

  • Denise goes with

<Denise> I'm just waitin' on him...

<Argent> I guess I'm looking for a hair cut, and this seems to be the right place to get one.

  • Denise nudges Argent

<Aronne> Sure thing, we can fit you in - it's gonna be a bit of a wait if you want a fella to cut your hair, but I can do it right now if you don't mind a girl barber :)

<Denise> ooh!

<Denise> do that :)

<Argent> apparently I'm doing that

  • Argent smiles
  • Aronne smiles back

<Aronne> Some guys don't care for it, but I can do just as good a job as him, so why wait?

<Argent> cause somebody is a little impatient

  • Aronne says a bit more quietly

<Denise> >.>

<Argent> lets see your skills

<Denise> Well I bet you can, anyway

<Aronne> Come on over here and we'll get you all handsome - not that you aren't already ;)

<Argent> See, some people appreciate me

<Denise> heh

  • Aronne brings you over to the other barber chair, at the back.

<Aronne> What's your name?

<Argent> I'm Jean, but everyone just calls me Argent

<Argent> and you are?

<Aronne> 'Cause of your hair?

  • Argent nods

<Aronne> Oh.. Aronne Derant. My father owns the shop.

<Denise> huh

<Denise> I'm Den

<Aronne> Nice to meet you.

<Aronne> So, how do you want your hair cut?

<Denise> Well, Denise

<Aronne> That's a pretty name :)

<Denise> thanks

<Argent> well, I'm trying to look a little more professional in my job... so a little shorter?

  • Aronne nods

<Argent> honestly I don't think about it much... I thought hair was supposed to be a rats nest

  • Aronne chuckles

<Aronne> Well, I'll see what I can do. Something easy to take care of, I guess :)

<Argent> I'll defer to your knowledge

  • Aronne gets her scissors and comb and starts to work.

<Denise> So, uh....

<Denise> I don't wanna mess up your cuttin' or nothin'....

<Denise> but I gotta a, like..... more personal reason for comin' in here

  • Denise admits

<Aronne> oh it's okay, I can talk while I work. Some folks like to chat...

  • Denise nods

<Aronne> Is it your hair? I can tell you're tryin' to grow it out, right?

<Denise> Um, well, I am, yeah, it got real messed up a while back, but that weren't it....

<Aronne> oh... well, if you did want, I could see what I can do for it, maybe get it back into shape :)

<Denise> oh well... we'll see I guess, maybe :3

<Denise> But I, um....

  • Denise drops her voice

<Denise> I wanted to ask 'bout your brother

<Aronne> oh :o

  • Aronne turns to look at you for a moment

<Aronne> do you know something about what happened to him? or where he is?

<Denise> I got.... well. I got mostly questions is what I got

<Aronne> okay...

<Denise> We're tryin to find...someone else

<Denise> who mayeb went through some of the same things

  • Aronne nods

<Denise> Were he at [name of resthome I got from her diary]?

<Aronne> At Steepling Rest? Yes... at least that's what we heard.

<Denise> do you know anythin' about it?

<Aronne> It's supposed to be some kind of special care home for soldiers that were injured really badly. Some new program, that was really lucky he got into it...

<Denise> :|

<Denise> did you ever hear form him when he was there at all?

<Aronne> We got a few letters at the start, but then they stopped coming :/ We tried writing to him but no answer.

<Denise> did he sasy anythin' about it? Mention any other folks?

<Denise> maybe some church friends?

<Aronne> Yeah, some. I mean, a lot of the letters had bits blacked out, you know, by the censors I guess.

<Denise> yeah :/

<Aronne> He said he met a girl there. We were happy about that, you know? Like even if maybe he was injured, maybe he could still be happy.

<Denise> yeah.....

<Denise> did he give her name?

  • Aronne nods

<Aronne> Juditte Ampere. He said she was hurt when a mine blew up under her, and she lost her legs. But she was real pretty anyway :)

<Denise> (YAAAAAAY)

  • Denise seems pleased, and smiles

<Denise> I bet

<Argent> another name is another lead. Thanks for helping us.

<Denise> ...

  • Denise nods

<Aronne> Who is it you're looking for? A relative?

<Denise> no... Someone who ain't a real great person, I'm afraid

<Denise> but anythin' more we can find about other folks who were there might help us try an find 'im

  • Aronne nods sadly

<Aronne> Well... if you do hear anything about my brother, I'd like to know. His pension cheques keep coming, so we know he's not dead, but we can't seem to get any more information about what happened to him.

  • Denise tries not to look too guilty
  • Denise is also a little surprised though, that they woudl keep coming even after he was arrested
  • Argent turns to see how Denise is doing
  • Denise looks thoughful and hopefully not suspicious >.>
  • Aronne returns her attention to cutting Argent's hair

<Denise> did he have any close friends from berfore he went away that maye he'da talked to even if he didn't come home?

  • Denise 'suggests'

<Denise> I know some folks had a hard time adjustin' to comin' bak

<Denise> especially if they were changed a lot, or got hurt real bad...

  • Aronne nods

<Aronne> Well, he was friends with Selenis Ryserin, and Lucien Versavel... and his girl before he left, her name's Elsa de Corvet, but they broke things off, so I dunno if he'd try to talk to her or not.

<Denise> have you talked to any of 'em?

<Aronne> Yes... I thought maybe he'd written to them too, you know? I guess Lucien and Sel got a few letters, same as us, but they stopped around the same time.

<Denise> :/

<Denise> did anythin' in the letters change?

<Denise> in the last ones?

<Denise> like, was he talkin' about anything strange... I guess that didn't get censored

<Denise> or even just sayin' anything that didn't sound like him, or anythin'?

<Aronne> He seemed sort of odd, yeah. Like he was upset or angry about something... he thought things weren't working the way they should, I guess, or was frustrated he wasn't making more progress in his recovery?

<Denise> huh

<Denise> well

<Denise> I guess, from what I know, it didn't go real great for everyone - changed some folks, like this person I'm lookin' for :/

  • Aronne nods

<Denise> well, thanks

<Aronne> you're welcome... I hope you find the person you're looking for.

<Denise> I dunno if you'd still wanna work n my hair or not

<Denise> thanks :|

<Aronne> Well, sure, if you'd like me to.

<Denise> well, okay :3

<Aronne> I could trim it so it's neater while it's growing out, and maybe do an oil treatment for where it's got some damage.

<Denise> okay :)

  • Aronne did a good job on Argent's hair, anyway :)

<Denise> It's got a few months to get back in shape, anyway >.>

<Aronne> What happens in a few months? :)

  • Argent suppresses a chuckle

<Denise> I'm gettin' married :3

<Aronne> oh really? You two? :)

  • Aronne asks, glancing back and forth from Argent to Denise.

<Denise> no, to my boy Env...er...

  • Denise gets a thoughful look

<Argent> were just old friends

  • Aronne nods, smiling

<Denise> ...Did you say your brother used to know ...Luc Versav..somethin'...?

<Aronne> Well, congratulations...

<Aronne> Oh, Lucien Versavel? Yes, they were friends... well, like, Luc was older than him, he kind of looked up to him I guess.

<Denise> I hearda him before.

<Denise> he were friends with my boy's ma :o

<Aronne> oh, small world...

<Denise> yeah...

<Denise> well thanks, anyway

<Aronne> you're welcome... it was nice to meet you both.

<Denise> you too :)

<Argent> yeah and great hair cut.. maybe too good, her boy might get jealous

<Denise> pfft

<Aronne> well, hey, he can come and get his hair cut here too :)

<Denise> well now I just know where to send 'im, yeah ;p

  • Denise will tip well :3

<Aronne> thanks :)

  • Denise will leave with Argent
  • Argent will SM just to see if he gets the feeling how bothered by what we've talked about she is

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)

<Argent> !roll 1d20+23

  • Zola rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+23 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 23 ] totals [ 31 ].
  • Aronne seems worried and upset about her brother, but not really suspicious of you or anything like that.

<Argent> (then that is good)

  • Argent will chat with Denise after we leave

<Argent> If we could get a personal item or hair from Sevren, its possible that Aubrienne or Lathra may be able to use magic to scry on him, and find out where he is.

<Denise> well... okay now next time I see 'im I'm gonna punch him for her too :p

<Argent> the letters made me think about it.

<Denise> They got tons of stuff up in his room

<Denise> looks like they ain't never changed nothin'

<Denise> I could get somethin' for sure

<Argent> and we can follow up on Juditte Ampere

<Denise> yup

<Argent> Ill talk to Briony, see if she's heard anything about her.

<Denise> okay

<Argent> (and see if Briony can arrange a safe house for Raimon)

<Denise> I weren't sure how to ask about his church stuff before the war...

<Argent> she may not even know

<Denise> yeah :|

<Denise> I kind figure

<Denise> maybe one of those other folks he mentioned will

<Denise> I bet I coudl go with Enver to talk to that other guy

<Denise> Like... He might wanna anyway, I guess

  • Argent nods

<Denise> but maybe Briony's heard of them too?

<Argent> its possible from the war

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> thanks for comin' with me, Argent

<Argent> you did all the hard work, dont sell yourself short

<Denise> I feel bad for her, ya know?

  • Argent nods
  • Denise nods but looks dubious

<Denise> she coulda been feedin' me a whole story an I prolly woudn't know

<Denise> I though about tellin' her for real a few times

<Denise> but like

<Denise> it just don't seem kind

<Denise> even if she'da bought it

<Argent> she wasn't as far as I could tell, and she didn't seem to distrust us

<Denise> good

<Denise> anyway, I gotta let Hettie know all this an see if she'd come up with anythin' :3

<Argent> if we catch Servan, we can tell her the whole story.

  • Argent nods

<Denise> ugh

<Denise> yeah, catch him *again* you mean >.>

  • Denise cracks her knuckles
  • Argent smiles

<Argent> if we find him, he's not getting away

<Argent> not again

  • Denise nods

<Denise> not between me an' Hettie an Zola, he ain't >.>

<Argent> he's not very clever, gettin all these women hatin' him

<Denise> nope ^-^

<Denise> an Judy the Legs ain't gonna protect him :p

<Denise> (can I sneak in and steal something from his room?)

<DiablotinNarrator> sure. what would you like to steal?

<Denise> (something small?)

<Denise> (if argent says hair is good, see if there is anything like that, otherwise, just some little thing)

<DiablotinNarrator> okay

<DiablotinNarrator> I'm not sure if you could confirm for sure that any hair present was his? Like if there was one on a sweater or a comb or something, it could belong to anyone in his family, perhaps. but you could probably snag something small like a cufflink or a button off one of his shirts.

<Denise> (yeah)

<Denise> (I can try hair, but grab something more definite as well)

<DiablotinNarrator> *nod*

Solos

Hettie seeks SWM w/ metal arm

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, so Hettie, you are looking into Taveras Derant, finding out what you can about his background etc.

<DiablotinNarrator> You could make a K:Local check to see how much you're able to find out

<Hettienne> (Can I ask Nycki for help? see what she can dredge up too?)

<Hettienne> (k sec)

<DiablotinNarrator> yes, sure you can ask Nycki for help too

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+13

<Hettienne> (no worky?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (bah, I'll roll, sec)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I rolled a 12, so 25)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, you can talk to some people who know the family - have a drink in the nearest pub or whatever.

<DiablotinNarrator> You learn that he was married to a woman named Aimee, but the marriage ended when their two children were still young.

<Hettienne> (I have the Friends in Low Places trait if that helps_

<Hettienne> (1/2 the time to gather info in lower quarters; ppl there 1 step closer to helpful)

<DiablotinNarrator> (it'll make it faster anyway :)

<DiablotinNarrator> Aimee is apparently still alive, and lives in Pearl City. Word on why the marriage ended is 'they just weren't suited for each other', leaving some vagueness that Hettie can guess about what exactly that means.

<Hettienne> (I assume gayyyyyy :v_

<DiablotinNarrator> (heh, fair enough)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I mean, he is a hairdresser ;p)

<Hettienne> (lol)

<DiablotinNarrator> Taveras kept the children with him, although their mother stayed somewhat involved with them - taking them to visit her relatives occasionally and so on.

  • Hettienne wonders if Servan Aigel might be holed up with someone on Mom's side...

<DiablotinNarrator> He was and is active in the local church, the Vine Street church, and his children attended there with him when they were younger.

<Hettienne> (what House/Church?)

<DiablotinNarrator> He's House Cat, and the church is primarily Cat-focused.

<Hettienne> . o O (Cat.. of course, like the red woman.)

<DiablotinNarrator> Nycki can also report back on what she found

<Nycki> So, he's kinda the churchy type, I guess?

<Hettienne> Yeah, seems like.

<Hettienne> Real god-fearin' like :p

<Nycki> Yeah. Well, I found a little bit on that.

  • Hettienne listens eagerly

<Nycki> I guess when he was younger, like a teenager or so, he was in training for bein' a Spokesman

<Nycki> But he flunked out or dropped out or somethin'.

<Hettienne> Huh.

<Nycki> But like... you don't even get into that, if you're some kid from the Shambles, without someone higher up havin' your back or puttin' in a good word, you know?

<Hettienne> So not someone from the church here...?

<Nycki> Maybe... like, that might've been a way for him to get connected to someone in the Order of the Spoke.

<Hettienne> Maybe... an' maybe if I go to that church I can figure out who I guess...

<Nycki> Could be, or at least maybe they'd know more.

<Hettienne> What are the chances there's still a connection though, if he got kicked out?

<Nycki> I dunno. I guess it depends on why, an' if it pissed folks off or not. Maybe he just wasn't good enough with a sword or somethin'.

<Hettienne> Maybe he was too racist :p

<Nycki> Do they kick folks out for that? ;p

<Hettienne> Kick 'em out... or recruit 'em for somethin' else.

  • Nycki nods

<Hettienne> I guess I gotta go to church. :p

<Nycki> Put on a nice hat.

<Nycki> Those church folks gotta respect a nice hat.

<Hettienne> Then I've got it made. :v

  • Nycki smiles

<Hettienne> What should I ask though? I ain't no spy.

  • Nycki thinks about it for a moment

<Hettienne> 'Hello, I would like to know about this guy who's s'posed to be dead, for no particular reason, Rat's honor'

<Nycki> Well, if you're talkin' to a priest, they got rules about what they're allowed to say an' not say, if it's churchy stuff.

<Nycki> You could tell 'em half the truth - like maybe that you think this guy's alive, but on the outs with his family, an' you're tryin' to figure out whether to tell 'em he's still alive or not?

<Nycki> Leavin' out the murder an' metal bits an' all that.

  • Hettienne nods.

<Hettienne> If he gets wind of me pokin' about, there could be trouble.

<Nycki> yeah, that's true... but do you figure he stops in for Seventh-day services at his local church anymore?

<Nycki> he seems like he's got his own personal faith goin' on.

<Hettienne> Yeah I guess.

<Hettienne> I dunno if I should go to an actual Cat service. Seems weird. >.>

<Nycki> well, there's usually a priest around anytime, I think. For those middle of the night religious crises.

  • Hettienne snickers.

<Hettienne> I guess I'm off to raid my hat collection

<Hettienne> thanks babe.

<Nycki> Good luck.

  • Hettienne gives you a kiss.
  • Nycki kisses you back

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, you can pick a hat and head to the church, then?

<Hettienne> (yarp)

  • Hettienne steps inside and looks around for someone clerical

<DiablotinNarrator> The Vine Street church is sort of run down, not in the best shape, but it seems worn from being well-used, not like it's vandalized or whatever.

  • Hettienne clears her throat.

<Hettienne> Anybody home?

<DiablotinNarrator> A stout blond man in a priest's red robes steps out and greets you.

<Brother_Henri> Good day, I don't believe I've seen you here before. Welcome. My name is Brother Henri.

<Hettienne> (how old does he look?)

  • Brother_Henri is on the youngish side for a priest - maybe in his mid-twenties or so.

<Hettienne> Hey there.

<Brother_Henri> How can I help you?

<Hettienne> Well, I got kind of a dilemma.

<Hettienne> See, I wanna help some folks out in the congregation, but I don't wanna make things worse for 'em instead.

<Hettienne> I was hopin' to talk to someone who maybe knew the family. How long you been here?

<Brother_Henri> I grew up in the area, and have been the priest here for four years, since Sister Gwenna retired.

  • Hettienne files that name away for future reference.
  • Hettienne nods.

<Hettienne> So... d'you know the Durants then?

<Hettienne> I guess most folk must now.

<Brother_Henri> Certainly. M. Derant is a prominent member of our congregation.

  • Brother_Henri nods

<Hettienne> Well... It's about his kid. Is this in confidence?

<Brother_Henri> It can be, if you wish.

<Hettienne> Probly best...

<Brother_Henri> Is it about Aronne? She's been absent from the church lately...

  • Hettienne files that away too.

<Hettienne> No, but I hope she's doin' ok...

<Brother_Henri> As do I ...

<Hettienne> It's about her brother

  • Brother_Henri says, maybe blushing a little

<Hettienne> (oooOOOooooOOOoh, hehe)

<Brother_Henri> Oh, Alec?

<Hettienne> Yeah. I got some info that maybe he ain't as dead as they think, but like, he don't wanna be found.

  • Brother_Henri frowns, looking concerned

<Hettienne> Some kinda conflict, maybe with his Da, I don't know for sure.

<Brother_Henri> I heard that he was injured in the war, and after that he rather... dropped out of sight. I suppose I assumed that, like some soldiers, he had fallen into drink or drugs to try and cope with his troubles.

<Hettienne> Maybe he don't want them interferin'...

  • Brother_Henri nods

<Hettienne> I just dunno whether I should tell 'em.

<Brother_Henri> He and his father were... well. They did not always see eye to eye. But he was close with his sister, or else I think he would have gone off years before.

<Hettienne> What did they get into it about?

<Brother_Henri> Every little thing, and some larger things. The way that his father had left his mother, Alec and Aronne's schooling, whether Alec should pursue a career in the church...

<Hettienne> I heard he got in with the Spokesmen... was that his Dad's doin'?

<Brother_Henri> No, his father was against it. Alec got in, but his father I would say... discouraged him to the point where eventually he quit.

<Hettienne> Damn. :o

<Hettienne> I woulda thought that'd make a father proud.

<Brother_Henri> I admit I don't know all the details of that... I remember Alec being very angry about it, though.

  • Brother_Henri makes a bit of a face, like he doesn't want to speak ill of someone, but...

<Hettienne> (buuuut? :v)

<Brother_Henri> M. Derant, though a devout man, is also a man devoted to peace and doing good works in a humble manner. He felt that the Order of the Spoke was ... well, he might have used the words "vainglorious fools waving swords around".

<Hettienne> Ohhh.

<Brother_Henri> He thought that if Alec wanted to join the church, the priesthood would be more appropriate, but Alec had no interest in that.

<Hettienne> So how did a boy from the Shambles get in with them then?

<Brother_Henri> There was a Spokesman, Ser Martsen, who used to occasionally visit our church - I think he had some family in the area. Alec admired him - well, to be honest, we all did when we were boys, it was quite a sight to see a man in armour and with a sword, very impressive.

<Brother_Henri> Eventually Alec worked up the nerve to talk to him, and I suppose must have impressed him enough that he put in a good word for him.

<Hettienne> Huh.

<Hettienne> Well I'm in a quandry.

<Hettienne> Sounds like ALec might really want shut of his old man...

<Hettienne> I feel for the sister though.

  • Brother_Henri nods

<Brother_Henri> They were quite close, yes. I think she's had a difficult time since he disappeared.

<Hettienne> What would you do?

<Brother_Henri> If I knew something about where he was, or why he hadn't returned, I suppose... she deserves to know. But if there's a reason he hasn't come back to tell her himself, that complicates matters somewhat.

<Hettienne> Yeah.

<Hettienne> Well, thanks for your time, Brother. Looks like I got some more mullin' to do.

<Brother_Henri> But I would like to believe that, no matter what trouble he might have fallen into, there is always hope that he could turn his life around. Especially with the support of a sister who loves him.

  • Brother_Henri nods

<Brother_Henri> I hope I've been some help... and please, feel free to return anytime.

<Hettienne> I may do. :)

  • Hettienne takes her leave, then.


Zola proposes to Hector... that Mico can do a benefit concert

  • Zola will call ahead so he's not interviewing some starlet on the black couch.
  • Hector will make time for you, his most important client!
  • Hector says that to all his clients, you're pretty sure
  • Zola wonders idly if it might be true anyway.
  • Zola is probably less cooperative than the others :P

<Zola> (Does he have a secretary to let me in? :P)

  • Hector might be too cheap for a secretary... although, they do look nice
  • Zola will let herself in then :P
  • Hector 's secretary-who-is-definitely-not-a-floozie will let you in ;)

<Hector> What's up, doll?

<Zola> Oh, not much, Hector... at least not yet...

<Hector> Oh yeah? You got some news, I can tell.

  • Zola closes the door behind her since she's not afraid of some rumours but isn't too sure about how fast others would spread from that secretary :P

<Zola> More of an idea, really...

<Zola> But I think you'll like it.

<Hector> Well, lay it on me :)

<Zola> Well, I was thinking it might be time for Mico to get a little fresh air. Maybe even some stage time.

  • Hector looks delighted

<Hector> Babe, I'm always telling you, Mico's the hot ticket - I know you want to keep him under wraps, but if he does a show now and then it'll help build his mystique.

<Zola> Yeah, that's kinda what I've been thinking... you don't want him to go stale or anything.

  • Zola liiiiies

<Zola> And hey, some extra coin wouldn't hurt.

  • Hector nods

<Hector> So what've you got in mind?

<Zola> I was thinking something a little less private for a change... maybe a bigger crowd.

<Zola> A real concert.

<Hector> Solo, or with other folks?

<Zola> I hadn't really thought about other folks... did you have someone in mind?

  • Zola has her interest piqued

<Hector> I could probably find some folks who'd be interested in playing with Mico, anyway.

<Zola> Well, it might be a little gauche to invite some folks along and then promote it big as Mico's one & only public show, y'know?

<Hector> Ah, you never know - maybe some up and coming sorts might like to open for Mico.

<Zola> Yeah, maybe if it's a new star they might not mind that schtick being laid on so thick :)

  • Hector nods

<Hector> So, you want me to find a venue for this show? Something big?

<Zola> Yeah, someplace big... pack it full.

<Hector> That won't be a problem.

<Zola> But the usual rules apply for backstage... Mico needs his privacy.

<Hector> Sure, no problem.

<Zola> Now, just a warning... when I was dreaming all this up, I thought it might be an idea to make it a charity event, but that'd by my cut, and I haven't really decided yet anyway...

<Hector> Well, what you do with your cut's up to you, sugar.

  • Zola smiles

<Zola> You just make sure you earn yours shaking up some publicity.

<Hector> That's what I'm here for :)

<Zola> Well, the ball's rolling then. You gimme a call with any acts you think might want to open for Mico and I'll let you know if they seem like a fit.

<Zola> I almost thought of it myself, but it might seem a little tacky if the truth ever gets out :P

<Hector> Can do - and how soon were you hoping to do this? So I know what to look for as far as venues.

<Zola> Well, short notice and a big press blitz might be the most exciting, but I guess you can give short notice anytime... but not too far away?

<Zola> Middle soon?

<Hector> In the next month or so, then? I might not be able to get a big venue sooner than that.

<Zola> Yeah, sounds fine. I don't think I'll change my mind before then :)

<Hector> Sounds swell - I can't wait!

<Zola> It'll be a blast :)

<Hector> You know it, doll :)

<Zola> (SM, do I think he senses anything?)

  • Hector mostly senses money ;p

<Zola> (Excellent)

Genevriel goes out to supper with Madds and her old squad mates

  • Madds will accompany you to Pascale's, which is a nice but not extremely fancy restaurant in the Pav.
  • Genevriel is glad she has to go to work later! A plausible excuse to HAVE to leave!
  • Genevriel looks around the restaurant for the people we are supposed to meet.
  • Polly has indeed reserved a table for your group, and the others arrive around the same time as you.
  • Genevriel braces herself for awkward socialization.

<Polly> It's good to see you all

  • Genevriel smiles awkwardly. (She hasn't changed a bit.)

<Genevriel> You too.

  • Genevriel replies, because it's the socially acceptable thing to do.

<Meg> Same. Good to know you lot made it out without gettin' shot.

<Cydoran> heh

<Cydoran> Hey, I got shot in the arm, that counts.

<Genevriel> I got grazed a few times. I guess that doesn't really count.

<Meg> Whatever, if you walked it off, it don't count :)

<Genevriel> So, this is my friend, Madds...

<Genevriel> And this is Meg, and Cydoran.

<Madds> Hi.

  • Meg and Cydoran say hello to him.

<Madds> I actually didn't walk it off, but hey, I can walk now, so that's what matters.

  • Madds says with a smile.

<Genevriel> So... what are you all doing these days? I know Pol's at the experimental farm, but not what you two are doing.

  • Genevriel hates asking because the socially acceptable thing will be for them to ask her what she does, and she does nothing interesting.

<Meg> Got a job in a slaughterhouse. Reminds me of the old days ;p

<Meg> Although the cows don't usually try an' shoot me, so there's that.

<Cydoran> Definitely an improvement.

  • Genevriel smiles a little.

<Cydoran> I've been doing some work on the docks in Ariege. Whatever I can pick up here and there - there's always something.

<Cydoran> I'm glad I got a chance to see you before I have to go back.

  • Genevriel nods.
  • Cydoran 's family has a cargo shipping company in Ariege, you recall, which makes sense

<Genevriel> Would you ever sail yourself?

<Cydoran> Ah, I get seasick. I don't even really like the train, it rocks too much.

<Genevriel> Huh.

<Polly> Like that time you threw up from riding a donkey? ^-^

<Cydoran> like that, yes.

<Genevriel> Maybe you have an inner ear problem...

  • Genevriel suggests helpfully.
  • Cydoran shrugs

<Cydoran> I don't have a problem with heights or anything like that.

  • Genevriel shrugs.

<Meg> Yeah that's why we always threw you up top when there was a wall or a tree to climb or whatever :)

<Cydoran> Not because you wanted me to be the most obvious target?

<Meg> Well I wasn't gonna say it, but... ;p

  • Cydoran chuckles

<Genevriel> (Not sure if using Heal on him would help me diagnose anything. I feel like it shouldn't unless I had an otoscope or something, and even if Gen owned such a thing (highly doubtful) I can't see her bringing it with her everywhere she goes.)

<Genevriel> I thought I was the bait because I'm stupidly tall. Also the red hair.

<Meg> That do stick out a bit, yeah.

<Meg> Why'd they ever think we'd be good for anything sneaky, I wonder :p

<Genevriel> Because we were. :/

<Cydoran> Maybe they just figured we were dumb enough to take the risks ;p

<Genevriel> No, I don't think so.

<Genevriel> None of us are dumb.

<Polly> Hey, Meg - you and Alric were close for a while - have you heard anything about where he wound up? I tried to find out if he'd testified, but no luck.

<Meg> Yeah... he wound up in some veteran's hospital. Not doin' too good, I guess.

<Polly> I'm sorry to hear that. Was he hurt, or ...?

  • Polly leaves unspoken the possibility that it was mental trauma

<Meg> I don't really know too much of the details. I just got a letter from him when he went in there, an' nothing more since. I guess he could've died, for all I know.

<Polly> :/

<Genevriel> Which hospital is he at...? Not the one at [location of Claar's rest home, which I would know from Aubrienne, I'm gonna say, since she drove me home last night so I could familiarize myself with the escape vehicle].

<Meg> Yeah, Lynwood.

<Meg> that was the one.

<Genevriel> Oh.

  • Genevriel 's tone might give away a certain apprehension.

<Meg> What?

<Genevriel> Some of my colleagues at work are really concerned about another patient there... and basically, what sort of quack treatment they're actually giving vets there.

  • Polly frowns a little

<Polly> We've done some work out there - I mean, my division, not me personally.

<Genevriel> Does it involve sap from those weird trees?

<Polly> No... well, not exactly.

<Genevriel> Something else from those weird trees?

<Polly> Our division head, Mlle. Calondre, is friends with Suzetta Claar - it's the Claar family estate, Lynwood. Some of the team did work in the garden there when it was being converted into a rest home.

<Genevriel> That's... probably not a good thing.

<Genevriel> Supposedly they are injecting veterans with magical chemicals with a fae origin. I think those trees have some link to the First World. If they planted some of those trees at Lynwood, that might be what they're using to 'treat' people like us.

<Polly> Some of the plants we work with have medicinal uses - it was to transplant some of those for easier access by the staff there.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Polly> I can't really say more than that - obviously some of it is classified research.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> Of course.

<Cydoran> Classified gardening. That's amazing.

<Polly> Classified agricultural science and research, you mean ;)

<Cydoran> That's what I said.

<Genevriel> You and Madds ought to be best friends.

  • Genevriel says dryly.
  • Madds chuckles

<Madds> Because we both call things like we see them? Clearly we're men of discernment and a rare perceptiveness.

<Genevriel> Or you're scabrous jackasses.

<Madds> That's what I said.

<Madds> :)

  • Genevriel rolls her eyes, but there's a smile tugging at her lips.

<Meg> Look... if Alric is in some sort of trouble, I... well, I ain't gonna say I'd run to his bedside, but I'd wanna know if there was somethin' I could do to help.

<Genevriel> I'll be right back... got to go powder my nose.

  • Genevriel 's gaze might linger on Meg a trifle longer than necessary.
  • Genevriel heads to the ladies' room.
  • Meg joins you there a few moments later

<Meg> What's goin' on?

<Genevriel> Some people I know are going to try to break out the guy they're worried about.

  • Meg nods

<Genevriel> I He was taken from his wife by his mother I guess, and put in that place. And no one is letting the wife know what happened and they're not letting her in to see him, either.

<Meg> That don't seem right.

<Genevriel> So... I can't really recruit you to help, and I never much cared for Alric to begin with, but you were always kind to me. So, if there's something I could maybe... do... to help put your mind at ease... just let me know.

  • Genevriel says reluctantly since she wasn't planning to go into the building.

<Meg> If you see him there, I guess I'd wanna know if he's okay. If he's not...

  • Meg thinks about that for a moment

<Meg> well, if you could get him out too, that'd be good, but it ain't like I can just take him in either.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Meg> I don't know what'd be best for him.

<Genevriel> I don't think we'd be able to get him out, honestly. Not without changing the plan completely. But... I'll see what I can learn about what the fuck they are doing to people there. That's something I *should* be able to do.

  • Meg nods

<Meg> That'd be somethin', at least.

<Genevriel> If I learn anything, how can I get a hold of you?

  • Meg gives you her address, so you can track her down. I doubt she has a phone.

<Genevriel> That'll work.

  • Genevriel slips it into her small purse.

<Meg> thanks

<Genevriel> You're welcome.

  • Genevriel washes her hands and returns to the table.
  • Meg returns after you, and the conversation can turn to other matters...

Denise and Aubrienne recruit Zola

  • Zola is sitting around with a cigarette and a cherry bomb after her set.
  • Denise comes into the club, trying not to get too distracted with people and performances, because she has to be up in the mornings now, ugh

<Denise> Zola!

  • Zola is probably having a harder time boycotting morning events with Noren since the sniper attack

<Zola> Hey kid! It's strange not having you here almost every night!

  • Denise grabs an empty seat beside her

<Denise> I know, right?

  • Zola leans over for a side hug

<Denise> It's like a whole other life, this campaignin' stuff

  • Denise hugs back

<Denise> how's your man doin'?

<Zola> He's good. We're committed to seeing it through.

  • Denise will also order a cherrybomb ^-^

<Denise> well, I promise he's got my vote ^_^

<Zola> Thanks :D

<Denise> does he live in Rhenea?

<Zola> Yeah, when he moved out of his folks' place he got a place in Rhenea... closer to his work.

<Denise> well that's good, I think

<Zola> I guess some might think that's not quite enough time in the area to represent it, but hopefully we'll make a good case.

<Denise> Some folks got a bit of resistance for the Boss 'cause he doesn't live there. Not folks who know 'im, but you know.

<Denise> theyre all like "well it ain't *your* community"

<Denise> but he can turn 'em pretty quick if they listen at all

<Zola> Yeah, there's an ugly side to community sometimes... when people forget that a community can grow.

<Denise> yeah....

  • Denise looks a bit thoughtful at that, then shrugs

<Denise> its different in the shambles though

<Denise> anyway....

<Denise> I was kinda lookin' for Aubrienne, you seen her aroud?

<Zola> Maybe, yeah, I've just been doing a bit of thinking since you mentioned that Red Priestess... one of Cat's principles is community...

<Denise> oh right

<Denise> speakin' of all that

<Zola> Not in an hour or two, maybe she's made her way home

<Denise> an Aubrienne, I guess

<Denise> you talked to her about anythin' ... goin' on... recently? >.>

<Zola> ...no?

<Denise> or Lathra... or Argent...

  • Zola takes a drag from her cigarette

<Zola> Something going on?

<Denise> mmhmmm

  • Denise looks around

<Denise> well... maybe we can book it back to your dressin' rom for a few?

<Zola> Yeah, sure thing.

  • Zola downs the dregs of her drink and gets up
  • Denise just takes hers with her, promising she'll being the glass back, and actually paying for her own (with a nice tip :3)

<Zola> Honey, there's probably a few glasses in my room anyhow :P

<Zola> You can just blame me if you forget

<Denise> well I can bring them out too :3

  • Denise will go with you to your dressing room, then, and fne someplace to sit
  • Zola spots Aubrienne walking by the door as she's just about the close it

<Zola> Oh!

<Zola> Aubrienne, come in, Denise is here!

<Aubrienne> Well hey, what's shakin'?

<Zola> Not sure, I guess Things.

  • Zola waves her in
  • Aubrienne will head inside.
  • Zola shuts the door behind

<Denise> (well, it is a change room!)

<Denise> Oh, great :D

<Aubrienne> 'Things'?

<Zola> (Hee)

<Denise> well, I was gonna tell her about the breakout :3

  • Zola clears some boas and stuff off of her divan

<Denise> but also....

  • Denise looks at Zola

<Zola> Breakout?

<Denise> you're gonna like this...

<Denise> I got this - belonged to Servan Aigel

<Denise> Argent says we can use it to scry on him, maybe :3

  • Denise pulls out a button

<Aubrienne> Oh really?

  • Aubrienne grins.

<Denise> find out where he's at, give him a right what for

  • Denise says, tighenint her fist around the object

<Zola> Excellent.

<Zola> Do we know anyone who can scry?

<Denise> ummm....

<Denise> I thought Aubrienne could do that sorta thing?

<Denise> or am I gettin' you confused with Thea again -_-

<Aubrienne> In this case, one and the same. ;)

<Zola> Oh, great!

<Aubrienne> Scry can do it. :p

<Zola> -_-

  • Zola throws a boa at Aubrienne

<Denise> heh

  • Denise grins
  • Aubrienne takes a bow after it hits her

<Zola> So where'd you get that?

<Denise> maybe not right now though, but like, we gotta figure out when. An Aunt hettie'll wanna know too.

  • Denise shrugs

<Denise> from his house

<Zola> His house? :o

<Denise> well, his before he went to war an got turned into a crazy bloodforged house, yeah

<Aubrienne> You took a button from his house?

<Aubrienne> Oh.

<Aubrienne> Should still work, I think. Not sure how bloodforging might mess with things.

<Denise> well I guess we'll see :3

<Zola> Yeah, I suppose in theory it could present a significant spiritual difference that it might cause interference... but it's not like we NEED a possession anyhow...

<Aubrienne> It's just helpful.

<Aubrienne> But I think I can manage regardless.

<Denise> okay

<Zola> I can share a memory of him with you too, that might help :3

<Denise> but first.... the breakout!

<Aubrienne> It'll be nice to have a chance to put it to use.

<Aubrienne> Right, the breakout.

<Denise> Oh I got memories >:|

<Zola> Yeah, breakout? Do we know anyone in prison?

<Denise> sorta

<Aubrienne> Not prison, per se.

<Denise> remember the guy with the tree in his head?

<Aubrienne> Raimond, Denise.

<Zola> Yeah, Raimond... Dasra's husband.

<Aubrienne> Right.

<Zola> Is he ... still OK?

<Aubrienne> He's being held against his will. Or at least against Dasra's. We're not sure how much will he can express right now.

<Zola> Hugo mentioned his mother was trying to interfere in things...

<Zola> So they have him then...

<Zola> :o

<Aubrienne> Out in the country, at a 'convalescence home' for veterans.

<Denise> they got him holde up in some kind... yeah

<Denise> we're gonna break it out

<Denise> Argent's plannin' t

<Aubrienne> But they're doing experiments there.

<Aubrienne> Yeah.

<Zola> Of course they are.

<Zola> Are we going to burn it down too?

<Aubrienne> I sure hope not.

  • Zola jabs her lit cigarette

<Denise> well, they prolly got tother folks in there too

<Aubrienne> Exactly.

<Denise> who need help, not burnin' alive

<Denise> but I dunno

<Zola> I suppose.

<Denise> we can get him out, an maybe find out stuff or somethin' to get it closed up if it is all rotten

<Zola> We can always burn it down once we get everyone out.

<Aubrienne> Hopefully, we can do it with a minimum of fuss.

<Denise> well, I got us a few extra cars but not that many :p

<Zola> Two trips, then...

<Zola> :P

<Denise> heh

<Aubrienne> Oh, we have extra cars?

<Denise> we'll figure it out, but I trust Argent

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> they fell off a truck >.>

<Aubrienne> I talked to Dor, and Gen offered to drive getaway...

<Zola> Must have made a pretty big sound :P

  • Aubrienne laughs

<Denise> weren't no one around to hear it ;)

<Denise> well, I figure we're gonna need more'n one car

<Denise> I can drive... I know argent can but prolly he's gonna wanna ride *his* fancy new wheels

<Aubrienne> Shame he never got into show business; he's got some style. :)

<Zola> Pretty cute too. :3

<Denise> heh

<Denise> he don't really like the attention

  • Aubrienne shrugs

<Denise> anyway

<Denise> I trust him to sort things out, you just let him know you're on board

<Aubrienne> Yeah, so, Zo, we're doing a caper.

  • Denise says to Zola
  • Denise grins

<Zola> Well, like I said, I'm all in against these bastards.

<Denise> I figured

<Zola> I'll let Hugo know, he might want to help too, for Dasra... or points with Dasra, one or the other :P

<Denise> right

<Aubrienne> Six of one...

<Zola> I'll be good and leave my matches at home... for now.

<Denise> I'm sure there'll plenty of other trouble to get into

<Denise> anyway.... I gotta get going now, I got stuff to do in the mornin'

  • Denise says the word with some distaste

<Zola> Sounds familiar...

<Denise> un huh

  • Denise gives Zola a hug, and offers one to Aubrienne
  • Zola hugs tight
  • Aubrienne will return the hug gladly

<Aubrienne> Don't be a stranger.

<Denise> I won't - I'll be around to plan t'other thing, at least ^-^

<Aubrienne> Looking forward to it.

<Zola> I ought to pick out something comfortable and black to wear.

<Aubrienne> Sensible shoes, Zola dear.

<Zola> I don't know if I'd go THAT far.

  • Aubrienne grins.

<Denise> see you gals later!

<Denise> at caper time! :D

<Zola> Toodles!

<Aubrienne> 'Night! :)