Diablotin 3 session 43

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 43 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: October 30, 2016
Diablotin date:

Prologue

<DiablotinNarrator> It is mid Sixth-month, and the weather is fair, starting to get hot by midday, but still pleasant in the mornings and evenings.

<DiablotinNarrator> The big news that's circulating around the city, other than the engagement of Prince-Imperial Leolin, is the fact that a customs post, for lack of a better term, is being erected at the site of the Irminsul in the Shade. Rumour has it that transit to and from the First World is going to be permitted, although closely monitored.

Argent makes inquiries about Nalyrr Kah'lien

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent, you are investigating into the things you spoke about with Briony, concerning the escaped prisoners.

<Argent> (ok)

<DiablotinNarrator> The Shadar-kai woman, Nalyrr Kah'lien, served as one of the Blackbloods, so speaking to their commander, Captain Tazenir Orecalo do Baru, seems like a good starting place.

<Argent> (ok again)

<Argent> (are they all related, the Orecalos?)

<Tazenir> (presumably yes. You think this one is the son of the one who's a professor, so that would make him a brother of Xan's)

<Argent> (ok... they're hard to keep track of)

<DiablotinNarrator> (indeed)

<Argent> (so was this meeting arranged through Briony? Just trying to understand my standing for this - official or not)

<DiablotinNarrator> (Briony could have given you his name as someone to contact as a starting point. Your standing is about as official as you ever are ;)

<Argent> (ok... so following up as a favour for someone... got it)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yeah)

  • Tazenir can be tracked down at his home in Rhenea. He looks to be half-SK, maybe, with greyish-tinged skin and dark grey hair, but blue eyes. He's not especially tall, but muscular and fit, and has a number of tattoos and scars that are visible.

<Argent> (do I have an appointment?)

<Tazenir> (if you want to have made one, sure. you could have phoned ahead to ask if it's okay to stop by)

<Argent> (I would have done that, so as to not be a total surprise)

<Tazenir> (okay)

<Argent> Thank you for taking the time to meet with me.

<Tazenir> Sure... what's this about exactly?

  • Tazenir asks, after inviting you in to have a seat in his living room

<Argent> I'm trying to learn a little bit about the recent war, help with a research project for a friend, to be honest. The Blackbloods was a subject that came up.

<Argent> I'm not much of a scholar myself, but I'm good at talking to people, so here I am

<Tazenir> All right...

  • Tazenir seems a bit suspicious, but will listen

<Argent> What can you tell me about them? You were thier commander, correct?

<Tazenir> Yeah, I was the poor sucker they put in charge.

<Argent> who was they?

<Tazenir> Shadar-kai soldiers who had some kind of reason for deciding to fight in someone else's war.

<Tazenir> Some of them wanted their citizenship... some just wanted a good excuse to do battle. I guess some probably felt it was a good cause, who knows?

<Argent> and as a group they picked you to lead.

<Tazenir> Hah, no, they didn't ask for me. When the army were forming the divisions, they didn't want them mixed in with the human troops, but they knew it wouldn't fly to put a human in charge of them either.

<Tazenir> I fit the bill, I guess - Shadar-kai enough that they'd listen to me, human enough that the military brass felt I could be trusted :p

<Tazenir> It worked out pretty well. They were mostly a good crew. I was lucky to have them.

<Argent> May I ask were you saw deployment?

<Tazenir> We did. They liked to use us for stealth missions, a lot of the time, because of the plane-shifting.

<Tazenir> We were stationed a few different places over the course of the war.

<Argent> any places or battles that might be recognized?

  • Tazenir shrugs.

<Tazenir> Ardahan, Samri, Seda Grove...

  • Argent nods

<Tazenir> They moved us all over, where they needed some extra support, or someone to sneak in and take out a target.

<Argent> and after the war, did everything work out with the unit? How are the squad members doing these days, if you know?

<Tazenir> Well, the ones that survived were given their citizenship. I keep in touch with some of them.

<Tazenir> Folks working at setting up businesses, working... some stayed in the army, I guess it suited them.

<Argent> I've been told some haven't been doing as well as others. Do you remember anything about Nalyrr Kah'lien?

<Tazenir> Oh sure. She's one of the fucking wizards. We went through a few of those...

  • Tazenir sounds a bit cranky on that subject

<Tazenir> More trouble than they're worth, if you ask me.

<Argent> wizards? Like sorcerers? what was the issue with them?

<Tazenir> Yeah, they're like sorcs, but more finnicky.

<Tazenir> And weirder, but maybe that was just the ones I dealt with.

<Argent> I'm not sure I'm understanding.... I know most sorcerors are castalia trained, so can be academic... what was wierd about wizards?

<Tazenir> Wizards are like... Shadar-kai sorcerers, sort of. But they need to use books that have all their spells written down, and if they lose those, they're fucked. They need to plan ahead what they're going to cast, so you need to know what you're going to do ahead of time.

<Tazenir> I shouldn't say they're all weird. I mean... some of them are okay. but we had a run of bad luck, I guess.

<Argent> bad luck? situations that didn't go as planned or specific issues with your wizards, like Nalyrr?

<Tazenir> We had one get killed in a way that wasn't... normal. Her name was Zavriet. Then Nalyrr came to replace her - she'd been her apprentice before the war.

<Argent> can you clarify not normal?

<Tazenir> Like this fucking extraplanar ... dog-thing... came into her lab out of nowhere and ripped her apart, spilling wild magic all over the place in the process.

<Argent> I think that would count as not normal.

<Tazenir> Right?

<Argent> was there every any good explanation for what happened?

<Tazenir> This thing could travel in some fucked-up way, coming into places with corners. We wound up building all our camps and structures in circles :p

<Argent> or why it happened?

<Tazenir> Sort of... it was still pretty weird.

<Argent> (I'll try a K-planes to identify the hound thing for myself)

<Tazenir> (okay, you can roll)

<Argent> !roll 1d20+10

  • BalthCat rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 23 ].

<Tazenir> (yes, you think you've heard of that before - a hound-like creature that travels through dimensions and can move through angles)

<Tazenir> There was this Cozovode wizard who'd been kicked out of Cozovode for being too weird and creepy, which is saying something. Name was Rujek.

<Tazenir> He was squatting in some cave, doing his creepy wizard things, and the Psyrenes had some sort of deal with him, where he would give them scrolls or shit like that, for ... who knows what he wanted from them, probably nothing good.

<Tazenir> Zavriet was poking around his business, trying to figure out what he was up to, and he sent this Hound whatever it was after her.

<Tazenir> Nalyrr signed up after she found out Zavriet was dead - I always had the feeling she was there more to get her mistress's stuff, her notes, research, whatever, than because she really wanted to be there.

<Argent> did you end up dealing with Rujek?

<Tazenir> Nah, not me, that's above my pay grade. I passed that problem up to a higher authority. Specifically, Princess Ilphere wound up dealing with him.

<Tazenir> I did send a delegation with her, for backup. You could talk to one of them, maybe.

<Argent> I may, if I'm needed to. Who was in the delegation?

  • Tazenir gives you their names.

<Argent> I don't want to take up too much more of your time. I'm curious if you knew why Nalyrr Kah'lien is in prison?

  • Tazenir sort of grimaces

<Tazenir> I heard that she killed someone.

<Tazenir> I don't know if I believe it, but there was something a bit off about her, so it could be true.

<Argent> any mention of who it was she supposedly killed?

<Tazenir> one of my other troops - actually one who went on that job. His name was Ehlriz ar Lilvir. another wizard, sort of, but low powered.

<Tazenir> After Zavriet was killed, he was the closest thing to a wizard we had, so I put him in charge of her stuff. Nalyrr accused him of taking some of her mistress's things, but it was sort of glossed over while the fighting was going on.

<Tazenir> I guess afterwards she decided to get them back? :/

<Argent> killing seems an extreme response

<Tazenir> Agreed, but it probably depends what was in the notes and books and things that she wanted.

<Tazenir> Like I said, wizards, man.

<Tazenir> More trouble than they're worth.

<Argent> just one more question, on the subject of wizards and sorcerors.... did you squad or Nalyrr ever work with or encounter Suzetta Claar?

<Tazenir> oh, yeah. At Seda Grove. She was one of that group who came in and put up those fuckin' tree-things.

<Argent> tree things?

<Tazenir> Iron trees.

<Tazenir> Walking around, like on patrol, razor sharp leaves...

<Tazenir> That was after the fire and all, so I was never quite sure what they were patrolling against.

<Argent> sound mysterious to me, I've never heard of anything the like before.

<Argent> well, thank you for your time.

<Tazenir> Me neither. They were experts in constructs, those mages or whatever they were, so I think these things were things they made.

  • Tazenir will show you out

<Argent> If I'm tasked with some followup questions, I hope you wont mind speaking with me again.

<Tazenir> If I can, sure.

<Argent> thanks again

Lathra enlists aid in her plans to get to the bottom of Raimond's legalized abduction

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra, you wanted to talk to Tits about your plans to look into Raimond's 'rest home'?

<Lathra> Yes please, darling

  • Titania will certainly talk to you when she has a free moment or two

<Titania> What's up, Lathra? Working on your new act? :)

<Lathra> More like up to old tricks, I'm afraid

<Titania> Oh?

<Lathra> My patient, Raimond, has been abducted from his wife by his mother, and whisked off to a place called "The Institute". Have you heard of it?

  • Titania frowns, looking concerned.

<Titania> Abducted?

<Lathra> Well, they had some sort of legal paper saying they were to take over his care, but it was without consultation or notice, so it all seems very unusual to me.

<Titania> It sounds strange - wouldn't his wife have some say in what happens to him, if he's incapacitated or unable to make decisions for himself?

<Titania> And 'The Institute'? What is it, some sort of hospital?

<Lathra> That's my understanding, though this is the first I've heard of it. I'm under the impression it's some fancy care home, but since they're not even letting poor Dasra visit her husband, I'm already rather unimpressed.

<Titania> That does sound very odd.

<Titania> Is there something I can do to help? I mean... I don't know what, exactly.

<Lathra> Oh, well I was hoping that you might have a relative or somesuch that might have known it by reputation or somesuch?

<Titania> Ah.. my cousin Ruchard was in the war. He might know more about rest homes and so forth, if it's something specifically for veterans?

<Lathra> Oh! That's promising, would he speak to me?

<Lathra> I'm hoping to visit the place to inspect it you see, to at least be able to reassure Dasra that Raimond's being cared for.

  • Titania nods

<Titania> I could ask him if he would.

<Titania> But you aren't going alone, are you? I mean... if something odd is going on, you might need some support.

<Lathra> Well I don't want to seem suspicious... but you're right, perhaps a retinue would be wise?

<Titania> Maybe Argent would help out - he's been doing very well since he got promoted to security. Or... Aubrienne, perhaps? Her brother's care has been a bit ... different, but she might be interested anyway.

<Lathra> Oh do you think they would? Of course they would, if they aren't too busy... why didn't I think of that?

  • Lathra shakes her head

<Titania> It's worth a try. And maybe they'll have other thoughts on how to approach it. Meanwhile, I'm happy to call my cousin and ask if he'd speak to you.

<Lathra> Yes, please do - I'll go as soon as possible, but if I can speak to him before, I will. I'll try and track down Aubrienne - I should have told her already, she's been there for Raimond before.

<Titania> All right. Good luck, I hope it turns out everything is fine!

<Lathra> Thank you so much!

  • Lathra flounces off to find Aubrienne

Lathra asks Aubrienne for help with the Raimond case

  • Lathra pokes around Aubrienne places
  • Aubrienne would most likely be in her dressing room

<Lathra> (That's conveniently nearby!)

  • Lathra knocks

<Aubrienne> Come in!

  • Lathra sweeps in omnously

<Aubrienne> Hey Lathra! What's shakin'?

<Lathra> I'm sorry to intrude Aubrienne dear, but it's about Raimond! I should have told you immediately, but I fear I'm a bit flustered...

<Aubrienne> What happened? Is he all right?

  • Aubrienne motions for you to sit.

<Lathra> I don't know, to be honest...

  • Lathra gladly sits

<Lathra> It's his Mother... she's had him taken away from Dasra and put in some sort of care home.

<Lathra> They won't even let her visit!

<Aubrienne> Void!

<Aubrienne> How did she manage that?

<Lathra> I don't know... Dasra's lawyers are looking into it. I told them I'd go to the place and try to get them to let me inspect it, to see if he's being cared for properly.

<Aubrienne> I can't believe his mother would just come in and take him...

<Aubrienne> Do you want some company for the inspection? I'm not exactly his caretaker, but I am somewhat involved.

<Aubrienne> And certainly concerned.

<Lathra> I would love that - Titania suggested as much. She said maybe Argent would too...?

<Aubrienne> How much trouble are you expecting?

<Aubrienne> He's a good person to have along in any case, I'm just wondering.

<Lathra> I wish I knew - I've never heard of this "Institute" before, and nor has anybody I've mentioned it to. Titania said her cousin Ruchard might know about it?

<Aubrienne> Where is this place?

  • Lathra shares the address Dasra gave her

<Aubrienne> (I forget, is that in town or outside of town?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (the location given is outside of town)

<Lathra> (It was outsi... yeah)

<Aubrienne> (Thanks :))

<Aubrienne> Why so far out? That seems strange.

<Lathra> It all seems strange. Dasra's done so much to keep Raimond alive and comfortable...

<Aubrienne> I can understand Raimond's mother wanting to feel like she has some control over the situation, but this is ridiculous.

<Aubrienne> Dasra was doing everything possible for Raimond.

  • Lathra nods

<Aubrienne> I'm happy to help in any way I can.

<Lathra> I'll see if I can find Argent...

<Aubrienne> I'm sure he'll be willing to help, too.

<Aubrienne> Are you all right? I know Dasra must be a wreck, but you've been so involved in his care and you seem pretty shaken.

<Lathra> It's... not what I planned to be doing with myself right now. I'm furious and I want to go and bash down the door and sweep off with him, but I don' think that'd be much help to Dasra.

<Aubrienne> Not the least because it's illegal, but, hey, say the word and I'll bash and sweep right alongside you.

Lathra enlists Argent's aid in the Raimond case

  • Lathra looks for Argent around the cabaret theater
  • Argent is lounging looking all securitylike

<Lathra> Ah, there you are, Argent!

<Argent> Hi Lathra, not gonna give me any rocks are you?

<Lathra> Not today, horsie

  • Lathra winks

<Argent> somethin' you needed then?

<Lathra> Actually yes... Titania suggested you might be willing to chaperone Aubrienne and myself as we investigate a mysterious but purportedly legal "Institution" which has kidnapped, purportedly legally, one of my patients.

<Lathra> I'm supposed to go and see if they'll give me a tour so I can review his new treatment.

<Argent> mysterious and kidnapping, eh? Who did they nab?

<Lathra> Raimond Neherin, and they won't allow his wife, who was his former caregiver, to see him.

<Argent> Riamond...

<Argent> that doesnt sound good.

<Argent> So where is this Institution and who's got him, specifically, if you know.

<Lathra> It's outside of town, and I don't know much more than that. Apparently it's a fancy rest home, but it's fancy enough that Titania's never heard of it. Her cousin Ruchard might have though, she's going to ask him.

<Argent> of course I'll help. Did you need a ride out there?

<Argent> although I don't think three will fit on my bike very well...

  • Argent ponders

<Lathra> Oh, I'm a cyclist myself...

<Argent> really? thats great... I have a Tribal Trailblazer, excellent machine... what do you ride?

<Lathra> Oh it's a ladies model, from Cycles Rochet

<Lathra> I find the pedal action very smooth, but the brakes need a little tuning.

<Argent> pedal action?

  • Argent chuckles

<Argent> No, the Trailblazer is a motorcycle

<Argent> I can take you for a ride sometime, even let you try it out if you're interested

<Lathra> Oh, yes that sounds wonderful!

  • Lathra makes plans for both expeditioning and motorcycle testing

<Argent> I think you'll really enjoy it, the ride or even your own cycle.

<Lathra> You know, you might be right

<Argent> (do you have the address? I just want Julie to confirm/deny its not the same place we went previously)

<DiablotinNarrator> (the address does not match that of the robot/cyborg workshop you visited previously)

<Argent> (we good here?)

<Argent> (Since I don't think Claar's name is going to be dropped and send me all crazy)

<Lathra> (Yup, I think we're good, and I've gotta get cooking!)

Hugo stalks the red-haired elf who sold the Dark Tapestry

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, Hugo - you had been asked by your dear uncle Loick to look into the mysterious elf lady who might have sold a powerful artifact. Being a bit stumped on how to start with this, one option that springs to mind is you could talk to Kai, at the club, since he's a half-elf.

<DiablotinNarrator> (it's a stretch but who knows if maybe he has contacts in the elven community...)

<DiablotinNarrator> (unless you have another idea of how to approach it :)

<Hugonel> (sure, I can do that - do I know Kai especially well? I don't think so)

<DiablotinNarrator> (not especially, no. I mean, you've worked at the club together for a few years, so I'm sure you've talked to him before, but you're not really good pals or anything.)

  • Hugonel will find Kai at some point before the show, when we're unlikely to be interrupted.

<Kai_len> Hey Hugo, what's up?

<Hugonel> Hi Kai. Listen, can I pick your brain for a minute about elfy things?

<Kai_len> Sure, I guess. I can pretend to know things about that :)

  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> Right, well, we all spend a lot of time pretending.

<Kai_len> What elfy things did you want to know?

<Hugonel> Have you ever heard of a Cozovode artifact called the Dark Tapestry?

<Kai_len> Doesn't ring any bells - it sounds sort of ominous though.

<Kai_len> I mean... I know some Cozovode songs that call the sky a 'dark tapestry', but it's a metaphor, not a real thing.

<Kai_len> at least... I think?

<Hugonel> Right, well I think this is like an actual tapestry, that depicts the sky, but also is a powerful ancient artifact of some sort?

<Kai_len> Uh, okay...

<Hugonel> Hmm ... well, obviously that didn't work.

<Hugonel> Are you familiar with the important Cozovode who are around the city right now?

<Kai_len> The important ones? Like the diplomats and that crowd?

<Kai_len> Or you mean like prominent people here, who might or might not be important back in the old country? :)

<Hugonel> Both, I guess.

<Kai_len> The emissaries and that sort are far too important to bother with the likes of me. But I know all the folks who own restaurants or stores selling 'authentic elven goods'.

  • Kai_len says with a smile
  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> You mean the people who sold me that lotion that one time that gave me a terrible rash?

<Kai_len> Probably, yeah.

  • Hugonel shakes his head ruefully, shifting uncomfortably at the memory.

<Hugonel> Are there any red-haired Cozovode women doing that kind of work, selling or buying goods, in the city?

  • Kai_len considers that

<Kai_len> I did see a Cozovode woman with red hair, yeah, a few weeks ago maybe?

<Kai_len> It's weird, because most Cozovode have dark hair, so red sticks out.

<Hugonel> Oh? Where was that that you saw her?

<Kai_len> The stories say that red hair means fey blood, but that's just old gossip for why a baby doesn't look like its father ;)

<Kai_len> There's a little ... I don't know if I'd even go far enough to call it a district. But on Osprey Street, in the Place D'iena, that's where there are a bunch of elven shops and restaurants in close proximity to one another.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Kai_len> I buy replacement strings for my shamisen there, and usually go to the Peach Blossom for lunch when I'm in the area. Nice little place, good food. Anyway, I saw her there, having a lunch meeting with someone.

<Hugonel> With whom?

<Kai_len> A human guy - no one I knew, though.

<Hugonel> What did he look like?

<Kai_len> Short, bit on the chubby side, middle aged... not very interesting, I'm afraid.

<Hugonel> All right. Thanks, Kai. I appreciate the tip.

<Hugonel> (can I head down there?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (sure)

  • Hugonel goes to the Peach Blossom for some fine Cozovode cuisine, then.

<DiablotinNarrator> Mm, lentils.

<DiablotinNarrator> You can have a tasty vegetarian lunch there. It seems to have a mostly Cozovode clientele, you'd say, though there are some humans.

<Hugonel> (presuming that I don't see the woman right there, after lunch I'll chat up my server)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you do not, so you can, certainly - a nice young lady :)

  • Kai_len is now known as Waitress

<Waitress> Was everything to your liking, sir?

<Hugonel> Oh, yes, absolutely, it was lovely. I must admit that I am no expert on Cozovode cuisine but I see from your clientele that this must be a very authentic experience. All credit to your chef ... and of course, to you.

  • Hugonel smiles warmly.

<Waitress> You are too kind :)

<Hugonel> Do you happen to know a very striking-looking Cozovode woman, red hair, quite attractive, who might come in here from time to time?

<Waitress> Oh, you must mean Sharena.

<Hugonel> Sharena?

  • Waitress nods

<Hugonel> I've met a lot of Cozovode in my day, but she's the only one I know with red hair.

<Waitress> Yes, it's very unusual.

<Hugonel> Does she live in the city?

<Waitress> I think she's a merchant - she travels a great deal, at any rate. Sometimes I won't see her for months at a time. I think when she's here, she stays at the Magnolia Hotel.

<Hugonel> Right, right, I know the place.

<Hugonel> Does she have any particular friends here in the city that you know of?

  • Waitress shakes her head

<Waitress> I don't know, I'm sorry. I need to get back to work...

<Hugonel> Of course, I understand. Just one more thing.

  • Hugonel pulls out his coin purse and leaves an ample tip.

<Hugonel> I really appreciate your discretion in this matter.

<Waitress> Thank you, sir :o

<Hugonel> For the meal, and the conversation. Both, a pleasure.

  • Hugonel will get up and then go home and call Uncle Loick with this new information.

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)

Denise and Hettienne get a lead on the man with the metal arm

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, Denise - Ander's first campaign speech is coming up, and before it takes place, he has a few things he wants to talk to you about. He also asks if Hettie can be there.

  • Denise will let her unt know, and also that no, she doesn't know what its about

<Hettienne> Huh. Well, alright...

  • Waitress is now known as Ander
  • Ander will meet you both at the Cellar, let's say.

<Denise> hey Boss :3

<Ander> Hey, thanks for coming.

<Hettienne> Howdy.

  • Ander orders everyone a round of drinks.

<Denise> thanks boss :)

<Denise> what's up?

<Ander> Well, I wanted to let you know a couple things I found out 'bout your pal there, the metal-armed fella.

<Hettienne> Oh?

<Denise> ooooh...

  • Hettienne leans in.

<Ander> But also, that I gotta back out on pokin' into that stuff any further, less somethin' major changes.

<Ander> For a couple reasons

<Hettienne> The election?

<Ander> Yeah, that's part of it. Kinda more directly than you might think.

<Denise> oh yeah?

<Ander> One of the folks runnin' against me, name of Taveras Derant? That name sounded familiar first time I heard it, so I asked around.

<Ander> He's a barber, seems like a decent enough sort by all accounts. He has, or had, a son named Alec, an' a daughter, Aronne. Son went off to war, didn't come back.

<Hettienne> Alec Derant... Fuck

<Hettienne> I knew that name sounded familiar

  • Ander nods

<Denise> :|

<Ander> But you can see how for me to go butting into that more would look real bad, like.... If they get the idea I'm tryin' to dig up dirt on my opponent, or intimidate him or somethin'.

<Denise> yeah I guess so....

<Hettienne> Yeah.

  • Denise frowns a bit

<Denise> am i gonna get you in trouble if I keep lookin'? >.>

<Ander> Well, not if you're careful, I hope.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> okay, I'll try

<Denise> what you got, then?

<Ander> I don't think talkin' to Derant himself would be much use, plus he's prolly almost as busy as me. But the daughter, Aronne - she's not too much oldern' you, Dee, 19 or so. She might have some info, if you can butter her up or get it out of her somehow.

<Denise> okay

<Hettienne> Hm.

<Hettienne> Butterin' ain't my strong point

<Ander> Well, it's up to you.

<Denise> we'll fgure somethin' out

<Ander> Okay.

<Ander> Just, like... don't rough her up or nothin'? Unless she turns out to be a psycho too, I guess.

<Denise> gosh, we won't o_O

<Hettienne> Yeah yeah.

<Hettienne> Not unless we gotta.

<Denise> uh, rght

  • Ander can give you the Derant family's address, and let you know that Aronne works in her father's shop.

<Denise> but like, you wanna know if we find anythin'?

<Ander> Yeah... if it's somethin' important anyway. I got a lot goin' on right now, but if you find out they're tryin' to rig the election, or they got a bunch of bodies buried in their cellar, or somethin' weird, lemme know.

<Denise> okay

  • Denise looks to hettie

<Denise> so.... wanna go get a haircut? ^-^

<Hettienne> Don't barbers only do fellas?

<Denise> oh, hmmm...

<Denise> then we need a boy >.>

<Hettienne> Well, *I* ain't got one

<Denise> well, I got one, an I know some :3

<Denise> so, prolly we can figure it out :)

<Hettienne> Argent?

<Hettienne> You're tight with him yeah?

<Hettienne> Or Enver.

<Hettienne> Too bad Serge-Yves ain't around. :p

<Denise> ueah

<Denise> Argent's prolly better at chattin' folks up though

<Denise> than Enver

<Denise> plus like... I ain't sending him to chat up some girl >.>

<Hettienne> Ladies seem to like 'im too... Boy gets his buns pinched most every night

<Denise> heh

<Denise> okay

<Hettienne> We need t'find out if she's got contact with her brother

<Denise> well we can go by an check it out, an then maybe we can ask argent later

<Hettienne> Or any idea where he might be hidin' out...

<Denise> she might not now though, liek if he were supposed to be gone...

<Hettienne> She might not, but we gotta be sure

<Denise> okay

<Denise> well

<Denise> we can always... watch >.>

<Hettienne> Yeah.

<Ander> Just take care, okay?

<Denise> we will :)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, what's your plan?

<Denise> (I am goign to say, ratte up sneak in the store, then follow her when she leaves for the day???

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay

<DiablotinNarrator> I'll get you both to make a Stealth check, then

<Hettienne> (sounds good; that's about what I thought)

<Denise> (do we have stea bonuses as rattes?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (which you will have a bonus on for being rattes ;)

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+16

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+16 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 16 ] totals [ 33 ].

<Denise> !roll 1d20+9

  • Zola rolls for Denise: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 17 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> (+4 stealth mod in ratte form)

  • Hettienne is now known as Rattienne

<Denise> (so 21)

<Rattienne> (37)

  • Denise is now known as Ratniece

<DiablotinNarrator> All right - you can ratte surreptitiously into the barber shop, basically find a quiet place to hang out and observe things where you won't be detected.

<Ratniece> (groovy)

  • Ratniece tries to be patient ;p

<DiablotinNarrator> You can watch as customers come and go - Aronne is there, alone with another older man, maybe an uncle or the like, who seems to be the one in charge in the absence of her father. He bosses her around somewhat - she mostly seems to get stuck with sweeping up the floor.

  • Ratniece feels for her, bleeeeeh

<DiablotinNarrator> The shop is pretty busy, though, and eventually in order to deal with the flow of customers, he grudgingly lets her do some of the haircutting.

<DiablotinNarrator> People seem to come there to chat and gossip as much as to get their hair cut or a shave.

  • Rattienne listens to everything.

<DiablotinNarrator> A lot of people asking about Taveras running for the Council - he seems to have a lot of support, at least from his customers.

<Rattienne> . o O (Well you probably wouldn't come to his place if you didn't like him...)

  • Ratniece knows that Ander does much better things for people and is not concerned ^-^

<DiablotinNarrator> Some of the guys flirt with Aronne, but she mostly seems to ignore that, or at least doesn't encourage them.

<DiablotinNarrator> One of them teases her by asking if she fell in any holes lately, and she seems sort of embarrassed at that, but you don't know that that's about, other than that everyone else seems to get the reference.

  • Ratniece wonders about that....

<DiablotinNarrator> You stick around until the shop closes - she's left to clean up, naturally, and is there later than everyone else.

<DiablotinNarrator> You want to follow her when she leaves?

<Ratniece> (yes please!)

<DiablotinNarrator> You'll need to get out through your little rat tunnels - are you planning to switch back to human form to follow her, or continue in rat form?

<Rattienne> (rat for now?)

<Rattienne> (unless we start having problems keeping up basically)

<Ratniece> (or are too exposed, I guess)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - you can get outside in time to see her heading down the street, but yeah, you might have trouble keeping up because she walks much faster. You'd be running full out just to keep up with her (i.e. your base speed is 15 and hers is 30 :)

<Rattienne> (yeah, people time then :()

<Ratniece> (alas...)

  • Rattienne is now known as Hettienne

<DiablotinNarrator> You can shift back to human in an alley, and resume your pursuit before she gets out of sight

  • Ratniece is now known as Denise

<DiablotinNarrator> She heads to a diner around the corner, the Sunset Special, and goes in to get dinner, presumably.

<Hettienne> (meeting anyone?)

<DiablotinNarrator> She eats alone.

<DiablotinNarrator> Then heads back to the flat above the shop, goes inside. Again, alone.

<DiablotinNarrator> And by that time it's probably getting time for you to get to work, Hettie.

<Denise> (we can just have a quiet snack somewhere just out fo sight.... but then we can snek back in as rats I guess...?)

<Denise> (or not...)

<Denise> I can stay

  • Denise tells her aunt

<Hettienne> Well that was a bust.

<Hettienne> Good luck, Den. :/

<Denise> I gotta be up in the ,ornin' I guess, but I vbet she's just goin' to bed all normal anyway :p

<Denise> okay

<Denise> maybe talkin' to her woudl do better, but we'll see

  • Denise will stay and rat around while she's home alone...
  • Hettienne goes to work.
  • Denise will maybe sniff around and see if she can pick up any traces of Servan in the place?

<DiablotinNarrator> You want to go inside the apartment?

<DiablotinNarrator> or just sniff around outside?

<Denise> (inside as a rat)

  • Denise is now known as Ratniece

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay

<DiablotinNarrator> Another Stealth check, then.

<Ratniece> !roll 1d20+13

  • Zola rolls for Ratniece: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 27 ].

<Ratniece> (that's with the bonus)

<DiablotinNarrator> okay

<DiablotinNarrator> You find that she does basically just settle in for the evening - turns on the radio, leafs through a magazine, that sort of thing.

<DiablotinNarrator> You are able to sneak around, though, and you find that in the apartment there is a bedroom that doesn't seem to be occupied - although it's still set up for someone who might come home, someday.

  • Ratniece will sneak in and look around

<DiablotinNarrator> There's a bed, a dresser, a wardrobe - things on the dresser suggest a man's room. Cufflinks, a shaving kit, maybe a bottle of cologne, that sort of stuff.

<DiablotinNarrator> But it smells stale and unused.

<Ratniece> :/

<DiablotinNarrator> You're sniffing around in there and Aronne comes into the room, surprising you so that you freeze (fortunately, out of sight)

  • Ratniece hides >.>
  • Ratniece watches though

<DiablotinNarrator> She goes to the wardrobe and takes out one of the sweaters and hugs it close for a moment.

<DiablotinNarrator> You think she's crying.

  • Ratniece is thinking about Georges :(

<DiablotinNarrator> Eventually she puts the sweater back, folds it up, and leaves to her own room.

  • Ratniece will wait until she is sleeping and see if she has like, a journal or something >.>

<DiablotinNarrator> She does seem to have a diary, yes - at least, a notebook on her bedside table.

  • Ratniece will see if she can look through it any?

<DiablotinNarrator> Another stealth check, then.

<Ratniece> !roll 1d20+13

  • Zola rolls for Ratniece: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 29 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - I'll say you can get it open without waking her, and read a few pages, but Denise isn't the fastest reader anyway, and in ratte form it's probably harder. But I'll do you a writeup of what you find, anyway.

  • Ratniece will then skip out and either go home, or go see hettie at work (which we can do later after I know what I saw :)

Gen goes to Psyra

<DiablotinNarrator> Gen, you and your family (and any guests) have made the trip by airship to Nys, and then by train to your family's former home, in order to have a memorial stone erected in the local graveyard.

<DiablotinNarrator> The airship journey is smooth and much swifter than the train, if perhaps a bit uneasy for those who aren't used to being high up in the sky.

  • Genevriel probably enjoys the new perspective. Vreel liked flying, after all.
  • Genevriel grows more introspective on the train, though, as she gets closer to Arguvan.

<Madds> How are you doing?

  • Genevriel smiles slightly.

<Genevriel> All right. Anxious, though. I'm not sure how hard it will hit me when we get there.

  • Madds nods, giving your hand a squeeze

<Genevriel> Worse: what if it doesn't even hit me at all?

<Madds> We'll all be there to help you through this.

<Genevriel> I know.

<Genevriel> ... What will it be like for you?

<Genevriel> It was your posting before everything went to hell.

<Madds> I don't know. Strange, probably.

<Genevriel> Strange good, strange bad, or strange neutral?

<Madds> I'm not sure... it depends how things are there now, I guess.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Madds> If it's completely different, that will be strange in one way, but if it's the same, except people I knew are missing... that's another type of strange.

  • Genevriel nods again.
  • Genevriel wonders how many soldiers he lost.

<Genevriel> If it's bad, please let me know. I'd like to be able to help you, if I can.

<Madds> Thanks.

  • Genevriel gives his hand a squeeze and rests her head on his shoulder.

<Genevriel> It all seems like it happened so long ago.

  • Madds nods

<DiablotinNarrator> You find that Arguvan looks changed in some ways, but familiar in others - some buildings have changed, and obviously many people you knew are absent, but things like the fountain in the square, the trees along the roadside, are the same as they always were.

<DiablotinNarrator> Your aunt has booked rooms for everyone at the local inn, so you have a place to stay, although the inn is under different ownership than you recall.

  • Genevriel shudders a little as she walks in, remembering the old innkeeper's words on that fateful day.

<DiablotinNarrator> Maybe it's your imagination that people seem to stare at you, or whisper when you pass...

  • Genevriel tries to make out what they're saying, a sick knot in her stomach.

<Genevriel> . o O (Conqueror's whore, and here I am with him again...)

  • Genevriel wrestles with bad memories.

<DiablotinNarrator> You hear a couple of whispers of your family's name, or surprise that you're here. nothing quite as dire as what you're thinking, probably, at least not while you're in earshot.

<DiablotinNarrator> The (new) innkeeper seems perfectly polite and welcoming, at least.

  • Genevriel tries to feel grateful for that.

<DiablotinNarrator> The following day is the memorial ceremony, in the morning. You will then have the afternoon and evening to do as you wish, with the return train leaving the next morning.

  • Genevriel thinks she ought to go visit the old farm. Maybe pick a few regenerating olive shoots to lay on her family's grave before they leave.

<DiablotinNarrator> The monument that your aunt has commissioned is nice, you think - tasteful, not too showy, durable.

<Genevriel> (K:N is there any sort of placatory offering one ought give a dryad or hamadryad when one is about to pick some shoots from her grove?)

<Genevriel> (Nysha might be nuts, if she's still alive at all.)

<DiablotinNarrator> It's a quiet ceremony. The local priest speaks briefly, and then your aunt says a few more words - you would also be welcome to speak if you want, but no one will force you to or anything.

  • Genevriel doesn't feel like speaking; she is probably crying.
  • Madds puts his arm around you to comfort you
  • Genevriel kneels before the monument and says some silent prayers before they leave, though. One that her family might be at peace, one that the soldiers who died might be at peace, and one that the Psyrenes who died might be at peace.

<DiablotinNarrator> In the afternoon, you can make the trip to your family's former farm. Do you want to go alone, or take anyone with you?

  • Genevriel doesn't think going alone would be good. If Madds can manage it, she'd like him to come.
  • Madds will accompany you, certainly
  • Madds is quiet and subdued but seems to be holding himself together okay.
  • Genevriel also extends the invitation to her family since they might need some closure about their sister/sister-in-law/aunt, brother-in-law/uncle, and nephew/cousin.
  • Genevriel doesn't really need them there for her, though.

<DiablotinNarrator> Sylvise and Jerard and Lucette will agree to come, certainly. Dorien comes with Misery, as well.

<Genevriel> (It's a long way from town - are we renting a car? Or horses and a wagon?)

<Genevriel> (I always imagined it was nearly 2 hours from Arguvan by horse cart)

<DiablotinNarrator> You can rent a horse and carriage to make the trip.

<DiablotinNarrator> You travel along the familiar road, seeing what has changed and what hasn't.

<DiablotinNarrator> At last, you approach the farm - or what remains of it.

<DiablotinNarrator> The site where the house was is vacant now, the ruins presumably torn down.

  • Genevriel tries not to vomit as she has a flashback to the way they found her family's remains.
  • Genevriel is having trouble breathing. Her oak's gone, of course, so she looks around for any sizable tree within walking distance.

<DiablotinNarrator> The gardens are overgrown and wild, but parts of the orchards are still more or less intact, although also in dire need of pruning.

<DiablotinNarrator> You can find a tree, certainly.

  • Genevriel hastens towards it and rests her hands on its bark, trying to regain control of her overpowering sense of loss.
  • Genevriel has no words, so she just cries.

<DiablotinNarrator> As you stand there, the voices inside your mind speak to you as One.

  • Genevriel stiffens with momentary fear and shock, but she listens.

<DiablotinNarrator> "As the fire allows the seeds to grow stronger, so your strength emerges from your suffering. Like the lyre, our song speaks through you, and you will carry our words: we are all one. Here at the hub of the wheel, where all is still, we embrace you. Be at peace, child."

<Genevriel> ...

<DiablotinNarrator> The voices speak in Celestial, which you seem to now understand well enough to grasp their meaning.

  • Madds does come over eventually, picking his way carefully across the uneven ground.

<Genevriel> I... I'm trying. I'll keep trying. It would be helpful if I knew what it is that I'm meant to do for you...

<DiablotinNarrator> The voices fall silent for now.

  • Genevriel appears to be addressing the tree.
  • Madds hangs back a little, giving you your space to talk to the tree if that's what you need...
  • Genevriel hangs her head and her shoulders droop when no reply is forthcoming.

<Madds> Hey... how is the tree?

  • Madds asks gently
  • Genevriel startles slightly, finally realizing Madds is there. She turns bright red.

<Genevriel> It wasn't the tree. It was the One. Trying to be nice, I think.

<Madds> Oh?

<Genevriel> But if it wants someone to evangelize for it, it could have chosen a much better spokesperson than me.

<Madds> You were down here a long time, so I just wanted to check on you.

  • Madds reaches his hand out to you
  • Genevriel takes it.

<Genevriel> How are you doing?

<Madds> It's rough, seeing things like this... but in a way, sort of peaceful. Nature is good at reclaiming things, I guess.

  • Genevriel looks around and nods.
  • Genevriel tries to spot the rest of her family.

<DiablotinNarrator> They are back near the house's site - your aunt kneeling to touch the ground there.

<Genevriel> Hopefully she's getting the closure she needs...

  • Genevriel turns her attention back to Madds.

<Madds> Did you want to take a few cuttings...?

  • Genevriel nods.

<Madds> All right - just tell me how I can help.

<Genevriel> Now that I know a tree spirit calls this home, I feel like I ought to ask permission before I take any.

<Madds> Makes sense.

<Genevriel> Which is weird because she never asked us to do that when we lived here and pruned and harvested.

<Madds> Did you want to take any home with us? Maybe we could have them on our balcony garden, until we have a better place to plant them.

  • Genevriel smiles a little sadly.

<Genevriel> I'm not sure that they'd be happy in Diablotin. It's too cold.

<Genevriel> I was thinking of leaving some on their graves, before we go back to the inn.

  • Madds nods
  • Madds will help you gather some cuttings of plants, then.

<Genevriel> (Did you see my K:N query near the beginning of the scene?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yes - you can roll if you want)

<Genevriel> !roll 1d20+16

  • Zola rolls for Genevriel: [ 1d20+16 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 16 ] totals [ 33 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> (Maybe some wine to pour over the roots of the tree would be appropriate. You could have planned ahead and brought some from the inn.)

  • Genevriel will pour some good wine over the roots and ask permission to take some shoots, then. And she will make sure she and Madds only harvest 1-2 shoots from each tree, so that the tree's health isn't put into jeopardy.

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)

  • Genevriel will head back to the rest of the family when she and Madds have collected a modest number of olive shoots.
  • Genevriel will decide at the last minute to bring one or two shoots back to Diablotin... maybe they'd be all right potted indoors in a sunny spot in the apartment. :)

Zola asks Loick for news about the Dark Tapestry and its codex

  • Zola wears sensible shoes today in case of stalking :3

<DiablotinNarrator> heh

<DiablotinNarrator> no, you should dress up, because Loick is inviting you out for drinks ;)

  • Zola sighs as she is forced to pick non-sensible shoes to wear
  • Zola is in the mood for a red dress :3
  • Zola will cab to the appointed spot
  • Zola leaves Bastien behind tonight, as well :P
  • Loick will meet you at La Folie, a fancy bar in the Castalia district.
  • Loick has a booth for us, for some amount of privacy.

<Loick> You look lovely, as always :)

<Zola> Thank you, you're quite dapper tonight yourself :)

<Loick> Would you care for wine, or do you go for the harder stuff? ;)

<Zola> Wine would be lovely... though one of my favourite's is called a cherry bomb, and it's a little stronger :)

<Loick> Well, let's have some wine to start, and if you feel like you need a stronger drink after we talk, that can be arranged.

<Zola> Sounds like a plan :)

  • Loick orders a bottle of (expensive) wine for us to share, then.

<Zola> .oO( I suppose there's no real way to order an expensive cherry bomb, is there? )

  • Zola makes a note to savour it.

<Loick> How are you doing, by the way?

  • Loick asks as the wine is poured

<Zola> Oh, I have to say things are going wonderfully lately. Summer's here, things are mostly back to normal.  :)

<Zola> How do you fare, troubled with the abnormal that's left over?

<Zola> I guess it's a good sign that you can escape for drinks :)

<Loick> Oh, well, I'm counting this as a work expense ;p

  • Zola laughs

<Zola> A witness consult?

<Loick> That works :)

<Loick> So... I suppose you're waiting for my update about the item.

<Zola> Well, eventually... but there's no rush.

<Zola> I was wondering if, in a position like yours is there always something crazy to think about, or if you get to relax once in a while.

<Loick> I've made a point throughout my career to take time to relax. I think if I hadn't, I wouldn't still be here.

<Zola> Recreation is important :)

<Loick> Besides, if I hadn't come home to my wife and kids now and then, I also wouldn't still be married ;)

<Zola> It must be hard sometimes to balance that with safeguarding the Empire from outer plane menaces.

<Loick> Mm, sometimes. There aren't always crises going on, fortunately.

<Loick> And I do have a very skilled staff.

<Zola> Knowing things are handled when you need to run home is important :)

  • Loick nods

<Zola> So, would you qualify your findings into the Dark Tapestry as good news or bad news?

<Loick> I would qualify them as confusing news, which could develop into bad news.

  • Zola sighs

<Zola> Well, I guess that's not really a surprise :/

<Loick> Also as probably incomplete news, I'm afraid.

  • Zola chuckles... "Also not really a surprise... with no disrespect meant to your talents, I just expected it to defy investigation as much as possible... out of spite maybe"

<Loick> Perhaps spite is the best explanation... but also, unfortunately, our impediments to free communication with the Cozovode. If we could just ask them about this without arousing suspicion, it would be much easier.

<Zola> They don't offer guided tours of the ruins of the monastery? :P

<Loick> Unfortunately no... that would be fascinating though!

  • Zola laughs

<Zola> "And this burnt husk was the kitchens"

  • Loick chuckles

<Loick> Well, I'll let you know what we've been able to uncover so far.

<Zola> All ears.

<Loick> The Codex and the Tapestry were both stored at the same monastery. I think I already explained, but the Codex is what's needed to correctly interpret and understand the Tapestry's messages. Without the Codex, the Tapestry is ... well, maybe not useless, but distinctly unhelpful to those not familiar with it.

<Zola> Oh, so both were stolen that night?

<Loick> I have to assume so. Either that or possibly the thief didn't know they needed both, and the Codex was destroyed in the fire.

<Loick> But I'm going to presume that whoever it was did their research.

<Zola> (Amanita had a book yes? Can I remember anything to pin down whether it was the Codex for sure?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (she did, and you can remember a bit about it, but it was dark and chaotic in the cavern, so probably not a perfect description? You know the approx. size of the book, anyway, but probably didn't see the colour or things like that)

<Zola> Well Amanita had a book... wouldn't that have been the Codex?

<Zola> Though she did put a tear in it maybe that means she was using something else?

<Loick> It's possible, yes. But I am not aware of a way to use the Codex on its own. That doesn't mean it couldn't be done, I suppose. But all I've heard is in relation to it being used along with the Tapestry.

<Loick> Now, I think in terms of when your father acquired it, it's at least possible that she had them both.

<Loick> Maybe she left one or both behind when she returned to the First World, and they were retrieved by this mysterious elven woman with red hair. But something about that doesn't feel quite right to me.

<Zola> I can see why you might be excited to find the Dark Tapestry down there, but why would such an opportunist leave the other items?

  • Loick nods

<Loick> And how would she know it was there? Unless she was in communication with Amanita (or whatever was occupying her).

<Loick> We need to at least be open to the possibility that this elven woman is similarly possessed, and the Cyst-creatures were working together in some fashion.

<Zola> Wouldn't that suggest THEY wanted us to find it?

<Loick> It's difficult to know. If they had completed whatever they were trying to achieve with it, then they might have simply wanted to get rid of it. Or the elven woman became freed from her possession and unloaded the item without really understanding what it was.

  • Zola nods... " I just imagined she was rattled by the sudden tear."

<Loick> Or, as you said, they wanted us to find it.

<Zola> Have you thought about asking Amanita if she has the Codex?

<Loick> We haven't been in communication with her since this happened, but yes, that has crossed my mind. My next course of action, now that we have a convenient passage back and forth to the First World, is to see if we can ask her.

<Zola> Where abouts does the portal exit, on that side?

<Loick> Apparently it's mutable. The First World is a morphic plane - which is fancy talk for 'it changes a lot'. So wherever it comes out now might not be where it comes out tomorrow.

<Zola> So it's not that much better than a Plane Shift? :P

<Loick> I'm hoping that will make it slightly less tempting for people to decide they want to go through it.

<Zola> Well, if you want a slightly familiar face for her, Hugo & I would surely accompany you. I admit I'm tempted to go back myself...

<Zola> Though not without someone who can teleport, I'd say >_>

  • Loick nods

<Loick> I appreciate the offer - I'll bear it in mind.

  • Zola sips her wine

<Loick> Another thing that's troubling, and which makes me quite relieved you got it out of your family's home as quickly as you did, was that Primal Magic seems to occasionally emanate from the region where the Tapestry is torn.

<Zola> (Arcana for that?)

  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+17 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 17 ] totals [ 36 ]

<DiablotinNarrator> Primal Magic is also commonly called wild magic. Basically like raw magic energy that can do a bunch of different, often alarming things.

<Zola> Primal magic? :o

<Zola> Has anything major happened?

<Loick> So far, only superficial effects, and we're working to contain it from getting worse.

<Zola> Is it? Getting worse?

<Zola> I imagined it knitting itself closed over time >_>

<Loick> Not so far. I think our examinations might have triggered it, so we've paused on that for the moment.

<Zola> Well, that's a relief.

<Loick> I suppose the elves would say its 'star substance' is spilling out or something like that.

<Zola> Well, maybe you'll have luck with Amanita and she can fix it before you leave it on the embassy doorstep in a basket :P

  • Loick smiles at that

<Loick> We can hope so.

<Zola> I guess the mysteries have yet to be solved... but at least I get to help you get in your prescribed relaxation...

<Zola> I mean... consult :)

<Loick> Yes - much more pleasant than many of my work responsibilities ;)

<Zola> I suppose they discourage this much wine at work :)

<Loick> Depends on the work function...

<Zola> Luckily in my line of work, as long as you don't slur too much, you're golden.

<Loick> Not so different than mine, then :)

<Zola> Hah, that must be a perk of being at the top

<Loick> Well, I suppose the consequences if I slur a spell are potentially worse.

<Zola> And you don't want to give wild magic any excuses :P

<Zola> Really, it seems sensible to just get the wine drinking out of the way now ^_^

<Loick> That seems prudent :D

<Loick> Your boyfriend is certainly lucky to have such wise advice :)

<Zola> I hope so, he's running for Council this election... I'd be glad to help him take Rhenea by storm :)

  • Loick nods

<Loick> I'm sure you'll make a smash.

<Zola> Fingers crossed :)

<Loick> A toast to your mutual success :)

<Zola> Thank you!

  • Zola will toast

<Zola> That's all getting dangerously into business talk, and I think we've had enough of that for now...

<Loick> Very well... let's talk about more enjoyable matters.

<Loick> Would you like to get out of here? :)

  • Zola grins a little. "Where did you have in mind?"

<Loick> I suppose that depends.

<Zola> What are my options? :)

<Loick> Well, I keep a little flat not far from here for those nights when I need some privacy. Or, I could take you home to meet my wife - she's quite welcoming to guests. Or I could show you some of the more off-the-beaten-path parts of the palace.

<Zola> An adventure in the palace would be fun, but I wouldn't want to deprive your wife of your company... it's a dilemma

  • Loick smiles

<Loick> I could invite her for the tour, I suppose - although she's seen it before, the company might make it worthwhile :)

  • Zola grins.

<Zola> Sounds like a plan.

  • Loick will make a phone call to his wife from the bar, and then have his car brought around, then :)
  • Zola savours the last of her expensive wine :3

Aubrienne learns that the Vjestaci wish to question her

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, your aunt Svara will come by, looking concerned/serious.

  • Aubrienne lets her in.

<Aubrienne> Something wrong?

<Aubrienne> Have a seat. Would you like a drink?

<Svara> No, it's okay...

<Svara> The Vjestaci want you to appear before them, and explain what you know about the Wastelord and the Harrow and... whatever other questions people come up with, I suppose.

<Aubrienne> I'm sorry?

  • Svara sighs

<Svara> No, I am... it's probably my fault.

<Aubrienne> That doesn't really track. Are you sure you don't want that drink?

  • Aubrienne will try to get her to sit.

<Svara> Maybe.

  • Svara will sit and accept a drink.

<Aubrienne> Take your time. What's going on now?

<Svara> Well, you know they've been after this Harrow deck. And that they've had divinations that suggest The Wastelord has it, whoever that might mean.

<Svara> There's been a lot of debate over what to do - how aggressively to pursue this.

<Aubrienne> So they want to summon me to a Q&A session?

<Svara> Yes. With a Zone of Truth in place.

<Aubrienne> To what end? What do they want to do about the Wastelord and the Deck?

<Svara> They want to know who has it - or had it, if it's been moved. They think that this person, whoever it is, is extremely important. They're almost more interested in them than in the Deck, at this point. Almost.

<Aubrienne> Alright, but, again, what do they want with them?

<Aubrienne> What will they do if they meet the Wastelord? Or what do they want them to do?

<Svara> To know who they are, and what it means that divinations seem to be calling them The Wastelord. Does it mean they have special powers, or communion with Rat, or...I don't know, that they're blessed in some way?

<Aubrienne> Well, I suppose I'm willing to answer what I can, but I'm not entirely at liberty to speak.

<Aubrienne> They might have to settle for a lot of silence.

  • Svara nods

<Svara> I can't blame you for that. I mean... I don't think they're handling this the right way at all.

  • Aubrienne shrugs.

<Aubrienne> I can't blame them. They're used to being the secret-keepers.

<Svara> You aren't required to go before them. They can't force you or anything.

<Aubrienne> They don't like being out of the loop.

<Aubrienne> I know, but maybe I can help allay some fears.

<Svara> All right. I'll be there too, so you won't be on your own.

<Aubrienne> I appreciate that.

<Svara> And I can't help but feel partly responsible for you being in this position :/

<Aubrienne> It is what it is, and it's not your fault.

<Aubrienne> I seem to be fated to be wrapped up in all this madness. :)

<Svara> Still, I'm sorry you're having to be dragged into it.

<Aubrienne> Well, I appreciate the thought, and the support.

  • Aubrienne leans over to give you a hug.
  • Svara hugs you back

<Aubrienne> I guess set up a meeting? Give me a couple days, though. I need to check on a few things.

<Svara> All right, I will.

<Svara> Thank you...

<Aubrienne> Thank you :)

<Svara> How are you doing, besides all this?

<Aubrienne> @.@

<Aubrienne> Fine, for the most part.

<Aubrienne> There's a lot going on.

  • Svara nods sympathetically

<Aubrienne> I'm trying to do best by everyone, and I'm worried that means they're all getting me at a fraction when everything deserves 100%.

<Svara> I'm sure you're doing the best you can, and people will understand that. Well, except maybe Hyacinth. But she'll understand that her aunties and uncles and grandparents can all take good care of her :)

  • Aubrienne smiles.

<Aubrienne> Yeah, I'm trying to remember that I have a support system. Bigger than most, even.

  • Svara nods

<Svara> And ... we all saw your photos in the Scourge, too :) So take a night off now and then, with your pretty friend.

<Aubrienne> That's the plan. :)

<Aubrienne> She's been so great with all this.

<Svara> That's good. People are already asking if you're going to bring her to meet us ;)

  • Aubrienne laughs.

<Aubrienne> That's the plan, hopefully soon, but she's pretty busy, too.

<Svara> All right, we'll be patient :)

<Aubrienne> Not exactly a family strong suit. ;)

<Svara> but I have to say it, anyway!

<Svara> we can pretend

<Aubrienne> Honestly, I think she'd like to meet everyone, however overwhelming it may be.

  • Svara smiles at that

<Aubrienne> But, first things first. I don't want a bunch of sorcerers pissed off at me.

  • Svara nods

<Svara> Yes... I'll be in touch when we've got a time arranged. You said a couple of days?

<Aubrienne> That should be all I need, yeah.

<Svara> All right.

<Svara> Take care, okay?

  • Svara gives you another hug before she leaves.
  • Aubrienne would have suggested lunch (dinner, depending on time)

<Aubrienne> (or dinner, rather)

<DiablotinNarrator> (sure :)

<DiablotinNarrator> (she can stick around for that)

<Aubrienne> (Coolio)

Solos

Denise asks Argent to spy on Servan Aigel's family for her

  • Denise will show up with muffins for everyone, because that's how she rolls

<Argent> mmm muffins... its just me here right now so it looks like lots of muffins for me :)

<Denise> well, you can give 'em to folks later , or you can hoard 'em al for yourself, however you like ;p

<Denise> I keep forgettin' they're on days now too

<Argent> I like how you assume they will make it to later

<Denise> heh, well there are a lot of 'em ^-^

<Denise> anyway, I wanted to ask you some advice on stuff

<Denise> and *not* on dresses

  • Denise says sternly

<Argent> and I was all excited for but a moment

<Denise> so don't even start ;p

  • Argent raises his hands defensively

<Argent> No dresses, got it. So what can I help you with?

<Denise> well...

<Denise> So, it turns out one of the folks runnin' against Ander in the Shambles?

<Denise> is Servan Aigel's dad :o

<Argent> I suppose he had to have one, a dad I mean.

<Denise> his name's Taveras Derant

<Denise> so, the boss said he's gotta back off on lookin;' up on him, because of polictics stuff

<Denise> but he told me an Hettie some things, like where they live an work and stuff, in case maybe they knew where he was at

<Argent> did you check it out?

<Denise> yeah...

<Denise> hettie an I went and watched 'em at work a bit, then I went up and ooked in on 'is sister at night... as rats like. It were... I dunno.

<Denise> Neat to do it but I kinda felt bad for her, I guess

<Denise> ike, it were neat that it were a thing I could do i mean

  • Argent nods

<Denise> I mean, I ain't smooth to liek go up an talk to her an find stuff out

<Argent> watching is usually a good first approach

<Argent> before talking

<Denise> I read some stuff in her diary though...

  • Denise says, sounding a bit guilty

<Denise> I don't think he's been to see 'em, or even that they got any idea where he's at

<Denise> like, he just disappeared for 'em, after he got hurt in the war, and then was supposed to go to some care home

<Argent> considering he changed his name, I dont find that too surprising, but it would have been good to get a solid on his location

<Denise> yeah...

<Denise> I dunno, now, if it is still worth talkin' to 'im

<Denise> like

<Denise> maybe they do kno *somethin*, liek who was running that place, or whatever...

<Denise> bu I don't know how to figure that stuff out

  • Denise says, looking at you hopefully

<Denise> an like...

<Argent> there are ways

<Denise> they work at a barber shop

<Argent> I can think of a few

<Denise> well, th da owns it

  • Denise listens

<Argent> if they really dont have any contact with him, could just pretend to be looking for him... just need to think of a reason why... but they come easy

  • Denise scowls

<Denise> 'cause I need to punch 'im in the face >.>

<Denise> but like...

<Argent> I'm thinking more like old friend trying to track him down, or some clerk from the military with back pay

  • Denise nods

<Denise> I ain't good at that sorta thing

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> but you are.... :3

<Denise> But like, I just feel bad for his sister, now, too

<Denise> she seems real lonely

<Argent> this approach has the advantage of either getting what they know... or if either of them are still in contact... we have you and hettie watching them, and we find out how if they try and warn him

<Denise> an she don't know he brother turned into a part metal asshole :p

  • Denise nods

<Denise> we could do that..

<Denise> I dunno

<Denise> part o me just wants to go and talk with her straight, but prolly she woudlnt' believe me

<Denise> an if I'm wrong and she do know where he's at...

<Argent> thats another way to go at it, I guess

  • Denise shrugs

<Denise> I dunno

<Denise> I thought of somethin' else though, when I was tryin' to figure more f all this out

<Denise> YOu remember how we got that favour owed us, for bringin' back that knife?

<Argent> yeah

<Denise> Maybe old lady Pervenche could find out somethin' useful for all this stuff

<Denise> But I dunno what to ask about.

<Argent> She may not appreciate being thrown into this, considering how big it feels

<Denise> well, maybe, but she owes us an I bet she's got all kinda a connections.... an ones hat woldn't be traced to us

<Denise> she's so old, she's gotte know how to take care of herself from these sortsa things

<Argent> probably true

<Argent> we could try and play it straight with the sister, approach her after work, say were trying to find her brother, and see if she's got anything to help

<Argent> if that doesnt pan out, go to the lady

<Denise> okay

<Denise> I gotta run that by Hettie, but she'll prolly be okay with it

<Denise> If we use the favour, then we gotta figure out somethin' with Colette an Francois..... ut I been thinkin' on that an I think I got it covered

<Argent> oh?

<Denise> I fell like, there so much stuf goin' on, that prolly you or me 's gonna be the ones to use it one way or another

<Argent> Hook em up with your boss?

<Denise> somethin' like that, yeaah. Maybe even just buy 'em out

<Denise> but if they want hooked in, that's work too

  • Denise says but maybe a little too innocently O:)
  • Argent chuckles

<Argent> who knows, maybe the cold made em get real close and they're in their own family business now, or at least preppin to

<Denise> they were alredy pretty close >.>

<Denise> like *real* close - come on, everyone knew that :p

  • Argent shakes his head
  • Argent holds his hand out in front of his stomach

<Argent> family business

<Denise> Yah, collette's too smart for that

<Argent> it was oftly cold for a long time

<Denise> unhuh

<Denise> not too cold to drink a potion - d I gotta be worryin' 'bout you an Margaux?

<Denise> I knwo you ain't got no family, but did them church folks give you The Talk? ;p

  • Denise giggles at the thought

<Argent> depends on which talk you are referring to

<Denise> Man, now I don't even know what they tell *boys* about not gettin' babies, huh

<Argent> mostly wait till marriage

<Denise> pfft

<Argent> you wanted to know

  • Argent shrugs

<Denise> but like - you *do* kow better, rigt? >.>

<Denise> I figure livin' with Dorian you'd be all set, but....

<Argent> I know how it all works

<Denise> un huh

<Denise> I just know Margaux's real sheltered an all...

<Denise> like, I ike her lots, she's real swell

<Denise> Just you two be sure to take your potions, is all >.>

<Denise> I guess even they even work for you >.>

<Argent> or if we even can have children

<Denise> well, I don't see wht that be a question - you got here somehow

<Argent> well my mother is a demi-goddess or avatar or something, so it may not work the way its supposed to

<Argent> and my dad... well...

<Denise> huh?

<Argent> oh yeah... been so busy... I found out who my folks are.

<Denise> No way :o

<Argent> yeah my mom came and visited me in my dreams at Mireva's friends house.

<Denise> at the sleepover? o_O

  • Argent nods

<Denise> you sure it weren't jst the drugs?

<Argent> I'm pretty sure it wasn't the drugs.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> who was she? :o

<Argent> she's the daugher of Emkathon, sometimes called Katha.

<Denise> huh

<Argent> as in Emkathon, the herald of the Serpent, not the nice winged girl we met

<Denise> I figured

<Denise> I gues... that makes sense with what that ghost said, huh

<Argent> exactly

<Denise> what did she say, other than that she was your ma :o

<Argent> and what I learned from my own investigations

<Argent> who my dad was

  • Denise nods

<Denise> well - who! :o

<Argent> I'm not sure I should tell you

<Denise> why not? :o

<Argent> well... you'll probably laugh... and make fun of me... and oh so many other things to make the rest of my day a tortuous tread

<Denise> yeha but like... I can do that withou you tellin' me that so you'd better just tell me already@!

<Denise> an like, I can promise not to laugh if that's what you need

<Denise> 'cause I know this is real serious for you.

  • Denise says more solemly

<Argent> I wouldn't make you make a promise you can't keep

<Argent> all right... look at me... look at my distinctive features... who do they remind you of?

<Denise> well...

<Denise> YOu got hair like Tits, or the chief sorcerer, or Hugo, I guess.... an you got rat eyes, kinda like Channel Sylvia

<Argent> of those who do you think could be my dad?

<Denise> well, the eye thing rund in the family. is what I meant... but I guess none of her folk that I know of.... so I guess the chief sorcerer... or Hugo

<Denise> And I gues like.....

  • Denise thiks

<Denise> the chief sorcerer is more the type who might get to bang a demigoddess

<Denise> but hugo is funnier so...

<Denise> It it... hugo?

  • Denise asks, dubiously

<Argent> bang

  • Denise continues looking dubious for a bit

<Denise> well...

<Denise> I guess maybe you lok a little tiny bit that way if I squint, other'n the hair

<Denise> but we know you gotta get your smarts an al that form your mam ;p

<Denise> you're like, way too serious for Hugo to be your da

[Then Argent's player had to run unexpectedly]

Aubrienne talks politics with Ander

<DiablotinNarrator> So, where do you want to track him down?

<Aubrienne> Hmm

<Aubrienne> Some place relatively private, but wherever works for him.

<Aubrienne> I assume she'll get word to him through Denise.

<Denise> (She can do that :D)

<Denise> (though tbh she's been around the club a lot less lately and might be harder to track down herself, hmm)

<Ander> Hettie's still around a lot - Aubrienne could get a message to Denise through her

<Aubrienne> (Yeah, that'd work. Does Aubrienne have a number for Ander?)

<Ander> I don't think he gave out his home number but he probably also would have said that she can leave a message at The Cellar for him and he'll get it

<Aubrienne> She can do that then

<Aubrienne> Don't need to bother too many people. :)

<Ander> okay

  • Ander can arrange to meet you at the Cellar then, that's probably simplest :)

<Ander> (Denise could be there too if she wants to join, although Aubrienne might then immediately ask her to leave ;)

  • Aubrienne will show up at the appointed time, probably dressed a little less onstentatiously than usual.

<Aubrienne> (Heh, probably not. She trusts Denise.)

<Denise> (well you know how much I hate solos ;p)

  • Lannie is now known as Denise
  • Denise can certainly be at the Cellar nearby at the least ;)
  • Ander has a booth at the back that's relatively private, but the place isn't super busy anyway
  • Aubrienne will make her way over to Ander's table, giving Denise a smile as she crosses the room.

<Aubrienne> Thank you for seeing me.

  • Aubrienne sits down.

<Ander> No problem, what's up?

<Aubrienne> Well, maybe a problem.

<Aubrienne> I got a visit from my aunt in the Vjestaci.

<Aubrienne> They're, ah, very interested to know what I can tell them about the Wastelord.

<Ander> yeah... that ain't too surprisin' I guess.

<Ander> Are they givin' you trouble?

<Aubrienne> Which I'm inclined to tell them is 'diddly' and 'squat', but I thought I'd talk to you first.

<Aubrienne> Not as yet, but they're pretty insistent, and the implication it things could get difficult.

  • Ander nods

<Aubrienne> I'm not *too* terribly concerned, but it's possible letting a little information out might be a good thing in the long run.

  • Aubrienne shrugs.

<Ander> I don't want you to get in shit over coverin' up for me. You ain't obliged to be loyal or nothin'.

<Aubrienne> I'll be fine. I guess my question here is what do you want me to tell them? Or not tell them?

  • Ander considers that for a moment

<Ander> I did some lookin' into them, yeah? to see who maybe I could trust on there.

<Aubrienne> Okay.

<Ander> but if this is an all or nothin' thing, it's harder

<Ander> which I'm guessin' it is

<Aubrienne> It might not be.

<Aubrienne> I could keep my trap shut for the big meeting, then try to talk to some leadership more covertly.

<Aubrienne> My aunt might be able to get a message to the right people.

<Aubrienne> If there're folks you're more comfortable with, I mean.

<Aubrienne> That doesn't sound so bad.

<Ander> an' Milos Resnik's not a bad sort, he's friends with my brother Greg.

<Aubrienne> (Do I know any of these people?)

<Ander> (the names are probably familiar, as Rat sorcs go - they'd be a bit older than you, so probably not people you really know well)

<Aubrienne> (kk)

<Aubrienne> If I can get a more private meeting, do you want me sending people your way?

<Ander> My main worry is about Lyth du Champe. I mean... the du Champes are a pretty mixed bunch, got their fingers in a lot of pies. An' he's ambitious, an'... well, I just think he might see this as a tool he can use, somehow.

<Aubrienne> Hmm.

<Aubrienne> Well, as I said, I can keep my mouth shut and try to talk to some people more individually.

<Ander> but as the head of the Vjestaci, he's gonna have a lot of clout in how they handle this.

<Ander> once they find out - which you're right, they're gonna sooner or later

<Aubrienne> It's ultimately up to you what to do with all this, regardless of what the Vjestaci want from it.

<Aubrienne> But information management...I can totally understand that.

<Ander> Well, yeah, they can't hold me down an' force me to do this.

<Ander> Or.. not do it. Whichever way they swing.

  • Ander says with a shrug

<Aubrienne> Mostly this just ups the timetable, because they hate not to be in on something.

<Aubrienne> They were always going to be a mix of help and hindrance.

  • Ander nods

<Ander> ... would it make things go easier on you if I went an' talked to 'em myself?

<Ander> or do you wanna wangle some special favours out of them by promisin' them my name? ;p

<Aubrienne> Heh, I hadn't thought of that.

<Aubrienne> You could come with me.

<Aubrienne> I have plenty of practice being a warmup act. ;)

<Ander> I'm gonna have to do it sooner or later, ain't I

<Aubrienne> Pretty much.

<Aubrienne> We have a couple days, at least.

<Ander> guess I'll pencil that in around the meetings an' speeches an' all

<Ander> just another special interest group to butter up ;p

  • Aubrienne laughs.

<Aubrienne> Sorry to drop this on you. Thought you'd want to know.

<Ander> nah, I appreciate it

<Aubrienne> Anything I can do? I'm not a speechmaker precisely, but I can work a crowd. :)

<Ander> if I need a date for a classy party, you wanna go?

  • Ander says, only half-joking

<Aubrienne> I think I can manage that, if you really need the backup. I've been practicing my socializing with nobles, as you might have read. ;)

<Ander> Yeah, I saw somethin' about that

<Ander> How's that goin' for you?

<Aubrienne> Can't complain.

  • Aubrienne will say with a huge grin.

<Ander> that's good :)

<Aubrienne> And the campaign? Treating you okay?

<Ander> It's a lotta work. I figured I'd just kick back an' give a speech now an' then, but apparently I gotta meet with folks an' convince 'em to support me or somethin' :p

<Aubrienne> Imagine that.

<Ander> yeah

<Ander> but it's goin' all right so far

<Aubrienne> Still, it's good. We need more representation, and someone speaking up for all of our House, not just the nobles.

<Aubrienne> I guess that's true for all the Houses, really. ;)

<Ander> well, the news could give two shits about what's happenin' in the Shambles, but I get good coverage in the Rat paper anyway :)

  • Aubrienne smiles.

<Aubrienne> Anyway, I'll let you get back to the campaign. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help, or if you need a social bodyguard for dealing with parties. :)

  • Aubrienne will pull out a pen and a bit of paper to write down her number on.

<Ander> Will do.

<Ander> An' let me know if I can help you out too.

<Aubrienne> Of course.

<Aubrienne> I'll let you know when I hear about when the meeting with the Vjestaci is.

<Ander> all right

<Ander> my campaign manager might insist on joining us too

  • Ander says a bit grudgingly

<Aubrienne> Not a fan?

<Ander> Oh, nah... she's fine, just ...

  • Ander considers how to answer without getting himself in trouble ;)

<Ander> She'll wanna make sure I'm not gettin' myself in trouble.

<Aubrienne> Well, I guess if she has to...

  • Aubrienne shrugs.

<Ander> well, we'll see

<Aubrienne> I'm not sure how many guests they'll want me to bring, but if they want me to talk...

<Ander> maybe she'll be busy

<Aubrienne> They can deal.

  • Ander nods

<Aubrienne> Yeah, we can see how things shake out.

<Ander> a'right

<Ander> (anything further to add?)

<Aubrienne> Anyway, I should head to work. I'd hate to make my boss angry. ;)

<Aubrienne> (Nah, I think I'm good. :))

Dorien punches a racist in Nys

<DiablotinNarrator> so, the last session, you had gone with your family and Gen to the dedication of the memorial for her family in Psyra

<Dorien> Ok :)

<DiablotinNarrator> I wasn't sure if you wanted to bring Misery on that trip :)

<Dorien> I would assume it's only for family, unless Gen said otherwise

<DiablotinNarrator> Gen brought Madds

<DiablotinNarrator> so I don't think she would have a problem with you bringing Misery. what your parents might thing, otoh... ;)

<Dorien> Oh, then I might ask her if she would like me to invite her.

<Dorien> Heh

<Dorien> Well, they already know

<Dorien> So I'm hoping it wouldn't be TOO much of a shock

<DiablotinNarrator> *nod*

<DiablotinNarrator> she would agree to go, mostly because it involves a trip on an airship and she thinks that would be fun ;)

<Dorien> But I'd leave it up to Gen, since it's really about her.

<Dorien> Heh

<DiablotinNarrator> Basically I think the first part of the trip, your mother would be like aggressively polite/friendly to Misery, asking her all sorts of questions and trying to make her feel welcome, and your dad would sort of pretend like this isn't happening.

<Dorien> heh

  • Dorien tries his best to run interference, though I know Misery can hold her own.

<DiablotinNarrator> The airship lands in Nys and then you have to travel by train and then I think also by carriage to get to Gen's family's home, so there's a lot of sitting around awkwardly time ;)

<Dorien> hee

  • Misery will try to sort of stay out of the way in Arguvan, letting your family do their family stuff.

<DiablotinNarrator> The other complication is that in Psyra in general, and especially in a small country town in Psyra, they don't get many Shadar-kai

<DiablotinNarrator> so she probably gets stared at a lot when she does go out, although that she can mostly just ignore

<Dorien> *nod*

  • Dorien will try to make sure she knows not to go too far from the family home alone... just in case.

<DiablotinNarrator> Once the memorial is done, you make the trip back to Nys, where the airship will depart from the following day.

<Misery> Hey, can we go out somewhere tonight? Just... something a bit more fun, I don't know where though.

  • Misery asks you privately

<Dorien> Sure, I guess. I don't really know the area too well, though. Last time I was here I was a kid.

<Dorien> Did you have something in mind?

<Misery> Drinks?

<Misery> Or, you know, whatever passes for refreshments here.

<Dorien> I can ask around. See if there's anyplace nearby.

<Misery> OKay.

<Misery> are you doing all right? I mean... it's been kind of a depressing few days. I thought you could use cheering up.

  • Dorien will check with anyone who might know such things.

<Dorien> I'm... ok. I mean, it's weird being back.

<Misery> (the hotel concierge can probably recommend some places nearby ;)

<Dorien> Thanks for coming, by the way. My family isn't always the easiest to deal with.

<Misery> Oh, they're not bad. Your sister's pretty fun.

<Dorien> Right. Fun.

<Dorien> That's a word.

  • Misery smiles

<Dorien> Has she been giving you a hard time at all?

<Misery> No, she's actually been nice. I wasn't being sarcastic for once.

<Dorien> Huh.

<Dorien> That is unaccountable human of her.

<Dorien> ...no offense.

<Misery> I mean, other than asking a couple times why I was with you when I could do better ;)

<Dorien> Well, she's not wrong there.

  • Misery smiles

<Dorien> Of course, we both know you only want me for my body.

<Misery> that's it

  • Misery squeezes your butt

<Dorien> *sigh* It's hard being so beautiful.

  • Misery will go with you to a nearby bar/nightclub-type place and have some refreshments

<Dorien> (What sort of place is it?)

<DiablotinNarrator> decent, not high end but not really seedy either. mid-range, with a mix of locals and tourists/visitors.

<DiablotinNarrator> There's live music and room to dance if you feel like that

  • Dorien orders a gin and tonic.
  • Dorien is up for dancing.
  • Misery as well

<DiablotinNarrator> (oh, question - does Dorien speak Psyrene?)

<Dorien> let me double check

<Dorien> (yes)

<Dorien> (he speaks like... everything)

<DiablotinNarrator> (heh, okay)

<Dorien> (Does Misery that I know of?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (no, she doesn't)

<Dorien> (k)

<DiablotinNarrator> Things are going fine until you hear some guy say in Psyrene, loudly enough for you to be pretty sure he meant you to hear it, "Fucking darkies, think they can come in here just because they're with some Aveyronne asshole"

<Dorien> (...What does this guy look like and how many guys are with him?)

  • Misery ignores it because she has no idea what he said and he's probably just some drunk guy being loud and obnoxious

<DiablotinNarrator> He's young-ish, mid-twenties or so, and seems to be on his own and mostly just ranting to the bartender or whoever will listen to him

  • Dorien will try really, really hard to ignore him for now, but keep an eye out in case he tries to start something.

<Drunk> Now that Serkan's back, it won't be long before their kind get what's coming to them.

  • Drunk slurs loudly

<Dorien> (Serkan?)

<DiablotinNarrator> Serkan was the leader of the rebels in the Psyrene War. He is, as far as you are aware, dead, killed near the end of the war.

<DiablotinNarrator> You think the bartender is having some words with this guy, probably along the lines of 'hey, shut the fuck up or get out'

  • Dorien will stop dancing and take Misery's hand. "Hey, maybe we should call it a night."

<Misery> Okay... is something wrong?

<Dorien> "I'll tell you later. Just... trust me."

  • Misery nods
  • Dorien will attempt to walk her to the door.
  • Misery goes with you, but the loud drunk guy is also leaving, only shortly behind you

<Drunk> Yeah that's right, take your blackblood bitch and get out!

  • Drunk says from a little way behind you
  • Dorien counts to ten.
  • Misery can tell that was rude, whatever it was

<Dorien> Just keep walking...

<Misery> okay...

<DiablotinNarrator> The bouncer of the club will stop this guy and let you two go out

<DiablotinNarrator> because he doesn't feel like breaking up a fight immediately outside the door ;)

  • Dorien will nod a thank you to him.

<Dorien> (Can we get away from the bar?)

<Drunk> Fine, fuck off! Serkan and Thyatera will put you back where you belong soon enough!

  • Drunk yells after you, but is prevented from further following you

<DiablotinNarrator> You can get away if you so choose, yes.

<Dorien> Fuck this.

  • Dorien turns and tackles the fucker.

<DiablotinNarrator> The bouncer is still in between you guys, but you can uhh make an attack roll I guess to see if you can connect a punch.

<Dorien> (hahahahahaha)

<Dorien> !roll 1d20+6

  • @BalthCat rolls for Dorien: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 23 ].

<Dorien> (oh hey!)

<DiablotinNarrator> I'll say that can hit, you punch the guy in the face before the bouncer can separate you two.

<Misery> What are you doing?!

<Dorien> <psy> Serkan is dead you ignorant fuck!

<Dorien> <psy> And if you say one more word you will fucking join him!

<Drunk> That's what you think! He's back and he's going to show you imperial bastards!

<DiablotinNarrator> The bouncer will yell for backup.

  • Dorien will step back, still mad, but not going for another punch.

<Misery> Come on, let's get out of here

  • Misery says, dragging on your arm

<Dorien> Dorien will look at her and nod weakly, all the fight suddenly gone from him.

  • Dorien will leave if the bouncer lets us.
  • Misery will hurry us away, and the bouncer is mostly occupied with dealing with the drunk guy and doesn't stop you

<Dorien> Void I'm... I'm sorry.

<Misery> what was that all about? :o

<Misery> are you okay?

<Dorien> I'm fine.

<Dorien> He was saying things. Nasty things. I shouldn't have flipped out like that. He was crazy.

<Misery> :/

  • Misery holds onto you tight

<Misery> about me?

  • Dorien nods.

<Misery> I guess there's racist assholes everywhere

<Dorien> He thought his dead rebel hero was coming back to... He was crazy.

<Misery> huh, weird

<Dorien> Yeah.

<Dorien> I'm sorry.

<Misery> not your fault

  • Misery gives you a kiss
  • Dorien kisses her back.

<Dorien> You know... being with me... it's gonna be like this a lot.

  • Misery nods

<Misery> Yeah, I'm used to people telling me I can do better ;)

<Dorien> heh

<Misery> As long as we know they're stupid, it's fine.

<Dorien> Are you sure I'm worth it?

<Misery> I wouldn't come all the way to Psyra to go to a funeral and put up with your parents if I didn't.

  • Dorien smiles.

<Dorien> I love you so much.

<Misery> I love you too.

<Misery> now look - there's one of those Psyrene bathhouses everyone talks about on the way back to the hotel. I'm going to take you there and show you a good time before we have to leave.

<Dorien> ...are you sure that's a good idea? After what just happened?

<Misery> No better time. They're just going to have to deal with our filthy cross-species love.

<Dorien> Well... you convinced me.

<Misery> besides, our room is next to your parents and I'm pretty sure your mother sits beside the wall listening for sex :p

<Dorien> Well, I mean if that's her kink...

  • Misery laughs

<Misery> are you trying to get your father laid tonight too? ;p

<Dorien> Oh gods.

<Dorien> That is not the way to get me in the mood.

  • Misery smirks

<Misery> I'm sure I can find a better way.

<Dorien> Just be gentle. I think I might have broken something in my hand.

<Misery> awww

  • Misery takes your hand and gives it a kiss

<Dorien> Mmmmm... that feels a bit better...

<Misery> We'll just have to find something to do that doesn't require your hands...

<Dorien> I'm sure we'll manage.

<DiablotinNarrator> You two can go off and enjoy the rest of your evening without further difficulties, then :)

<Dorien> :3

  • Dorien will do terrible, terrible things with Misery in the bathhouse.