Diablotin 3 session 4

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 4 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: November 23, 2014
Diablotin date:

Prologue

<DiablotinNarrator> It is approaching the end of Ninth month, and the rain of the past week has finally blown over, leaving a bright, breezy, if somewhat muddy, autumn day.

Hettienne is visited by Serge-Yves!

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie, it's mid-afternoon and you're at home working on some chores around the house before getting ready to go to work. Denise is off, probably with some of her friends, so you have some peace and quiet.

<Hettienne> Probly should dust or somethin...

<Hettienne> buuuuut

  • Hettienne picks up her knitting

<DiablotinNarrator> The weather's mild enough to have the windows open so the place can air out, which is how you hear, coming down the street, a familiar whistle.

<DiablotinNarrator> Sounds like Serge-Yves is here!

  • Hettienne hops up off the couch!

<Hettienne> Well I'll be...

  • Hettienne opens the door before he can knock.
  • Serge-Yves is in uniform, with his duffle bag of stuff over his shoulder, but puts it down to pick you up and give you a hug

<Hettienne> Hey there little brother!

<Serge-Yves> Good to see you, Hennie!

  • Hettienne laughs as he swings her around.
  • Serge-Yves uses his name for you, dating back to when he was a toddler and couldn't pronounce it right
  • Serge-Yves puts you down eventually ;)

<Hettienne> I didn't know you were gonna be in town!

<Serge-Yves> I'm on shore leave for a couple weeks - The Feelya's docked for some repairs.

  • Serge-Yves 's ship, The Ophelia, has a colourful nickname

<Hettienne> Well come on in!

  • Serge-Yves does so, hauling his gear with him

<Serge-Yves> Haven't seen you in forever - so this is your new place, huh?

<Hettienne> Den's out; I was just wastin; time before work instead of cleanin'...

<Hettienne> Yup!

<Hettienne> I'll show ya 'round...

  • Serge-Yves gets the grand tour :D

<Hettienne> So, coffee?

<Serge-Yves> That'd be perfect

  • Hettienne asks when they end up in the kitchen?

<Serge-Yves> Sorry to miss Denise but I'm sure I'll catch up with her soon

<Hettienne> She'll stumble in at some point, or more 'n' like she'll be at Tits' tonight...

  • Serge-Yves nods

<Hettienne> You need a place to stay?

<Serge-Yves> Well, if you're offerin' :)

<Serge-Yves> I could get a bunk at one of the flop-houses by the river, but I figured I'd check around the family first, see who might have room to spare ;)

<Hettienne> Well, we got a couch you're welcome to!

<Hettienne> WEll, seein' as Thierry's missus is ready to pop...!

<Serge-Yves> Is she? I been away so long, I lost all track of folks.

<Hettienne> Aw yeah, real soon now.

  • Hettienne says over her mug.

<Serge-Yves> I know it's been ages since I wrote, an I'm sorry for that. But I have a pretty good excuse!

<Hettienne> You might get to meet your new niece or nephew afore you ship back out! ;)

<Hettienne> Oh?

  • Serge-Yves grins at that

<Hettienne> What's new?

<Serge-Yves> well, just after the war ended, they sent us off with a couple other ships on an expedition to explore ~the new world~

  • Serge-Yves waves grandly to illustrate this phrase

<Hettienne> Well damn!

  • Hettienne looks suitably impressed.

<Serge-Yves> Can you close the window so's we can talk in private? We ain't supposed to spill too much about what's goin' on

<Hettienne> You got it...

  • Hettienne closes up any that are open.

<Serge-Yves> We sailed up through the Empress archipelago an' made it as far as the mainland.

<Serge-Yves> (that's the southern island chain on the big map)

<Serge-Yves> Hen, it's weird there. I don't even know where to start.

<Hettienne> Weird how?

<Serge-Yves> There's people there, but they're pretty different from us.

<Hettienne> Are there lizard folk?

<Serge-Yves> Well, some of 'em look like us, more or less - some of 'em are short folk though, and some are even stranger things.

<Serge-Yves> Maybe

<Hettienne> Short like... midgets?

  • Serge-Yves holds a hand out to about chest-height

<Serge-Yves> Like that, or shorter?

<Hettienne> Huh...

<Hettienne> Well I'll be feathered...

<Hettienne> Are they friendly? Could you talk to 'em?

<Serge-Yves> They're kinda primitive? No big cities that I've seen, just little villages an' bunches of nomads. Friendly enough I guess, but kind wary of strangers.

<Serge-Yves> Not tryin' to kill us right off, so that's friendly, right?

<Hettienne> I reckon so...

<Serge-Yves> Everyone goes around in boats there, 'cause so many little islands...

  • Serge-Yves sort of breaks off.
  • Hettienne shakes her head in astonishment.

<Serge-Yves> Listen, Hen, I know this is a weird question, after all that's happened, an' if you want me to shove off, I will.

<Hettienne> What now?

<Serge-Yves> A pal of mine got hold of a load of this... stuff. They call it koa, or something like that.

<Serge-Yves> Like a drug.

  • Hettienne frowns a little bit.

<Hettienne> Uh-huh...

<Serge-Yves> I tried it once - that was enough for me. But I can see as how folks'd pay for it.

<Serge-Yves> Anyway, he wants to sell this stuff, but he's got no idea how to do that an' not get killed or arrested over it, you know?

<Hettienne> Best way is t' not, then.

<Serge-Yves> Yeah... but he's gotta unload this

<Serge-Yves> Not askin' you to get involved

<Serge-Yves> I was just hopin' you might have some idea of who he could get in touch with, someone who'd do the actual sellin' part an' give us a cut.

<Hettienne> Ugh.

<Hettienne> You know how I feel about slingers.

<Serge-Yves> I know

  • Hettienne sighs.

<Hettienne> There is a fella at Tits, sells junk.

<Serge-Yves> yeah?

<Hettienne> Yeah. I don't talk to him much, but I can point 'im out.

<Serge-Yves> That'd be swell, if you could

<Hettienne> He's always at the bar.

  • Serge-Yves nods

<Hettienne> Come by tonight, then.

  • Hettienne makes a face.

<Serge-Yves> Sure - we're goin' out on the town anyway :D

  • Serge-Yves will turn the conversation back to more fun/interesting subjects, then - his travels, how people in the family are doing, etc
  • Hettienne will tell him allll the gossip.
  • Serge-Yves settles in for some quality family gossip ^-^

<Hettienne> So, ya mighta clued in that Den is livin' here now...

  • Serge-Yves nods

<Serge-Yves> There's some signs of teenage girl around.

<Hettienne> Hah! She's tidier 'n me, truth be told...

<Hettienne> Her 'n Pat were always at it, like cats 'n' dogs.

<Vairon> Ah, that's too bad.

<Hettienne> Thierry cooked up the idea that she oughtta come stay here.

<Vairon> (oops, wrong gay sailor ;p)

  • Serge-Yves nods

<Serge-Yves> So how's that workin' out?

<Hettienne> I like havin' her around.

<Hettienne> Fair sight better cook too.

<Serge-Yves> heh

<Hettienne> She's in with the Mala Tajna now, eh.

  • Serge-Yves probably remembers having to eat meals you cooked, so he can nod in understanding

<Serge-Yves> Oh yeah?

<Hettienne> That's part of what had Pat so riled up.

<Serge-Yves> What's she doin' with them?

<Hettienne> Odd jobs, far as I can tell.

<Serge-Yves> well... that ain't so bad. Pat's mad about it though?

<Hettienne> Runnin' errands. Just hangin' around lookin'like a hard boiled tomato. ;)

  • Serge-Yves laughs

<Hettienne> Pat's mad about anyone not gettin' a proper job, an' basically livin their lives like a clone of hisself.

<Hettienne> He's been on Mikel lately too.

<Serge-Yves> Poor kids.

<Hettienne> Yeah. He don't want him bein' a channel, and don't like his boyfriend...

<Serge-Yves> Boyfriend, eh?

<Hettienne> On account of the kid's sister's a professional.

<Hettienne> Yup!

  • Serge-Yves smirks

<Hettienne> So tell me about this pal of yours...

<Serge-Yves> Well, I hope Mikel told him it weren't his business...

<Serge-Yves> Hopefully Pat'll come around sooner or later.

<Serge-Yves> Oh, Vairon?

<Hettienne> We keep sayin' that... :p

<Hettienne> Yeah.

<Serge-Yves> He's a cutie. Couple years younger'n me, curly brown hair. He's always got some new idea or other in his head on how to make money, but so far most of 'em don't come to nothin'.

<Hettienne> Mm-hmmm.

<Serge-Yves> House Cat. They're always fun ;)

  • Hettienne nods.

<Hettienne> Meow.

<Serge-Yves> heh

<Serge-Yves> He's thinkin', maybe if this works out, he'll get out of the navy and start up his own shipping business. Freight and so on.

  • Serge-Yves shrugs

<Hettienne> Well, we'll see...

<Hettienne> But ya know...

<Hettienne> I said I knew a guy at the club, but maybe we should stay closer to home...

<Serge-Yves> How'd you mean?

<Hettienne> One of the mala tajna big men hangs out at Tits' joint.

<Serge-Yves> You think they'd want in on this?

<Hettienne> Yeah.... yeah I think they might.

  • Serge-Yves looks a bit more serious for a moment

<Hettienne> Much as it gets my goat to be mixin' up with junk, I'd rather know who my little brother's dealin' with.

<Serge-Yves> I don't wanna get you in any trouble.

<Hettienne> Hah! I can take care of myself, don't you worry none. ;)

  • Serge-Yves smiles at that

<Serge-Yves> Sure, I know you can

<Serge-Yves> Gods, I missed you all!

<Serge-Yves> It's been too long away.

<Hettienne> It's real good to have you back.

<Serge-Yves> Just a couple weeks this time - then we're off again.

<Hettienne> I'll take what I can get!

<Hettienne> Now let me see what we can scare up for food before I have to get ready for work...

<Serge-Yves> All right - just lemme know what I can do to help. I'll pull my own weight around here, no worries.

<Hettienne> 'Course you will. ;)

Denise kills a zombie rat

<DiablotinNarrator> Denise, you're at the club with Ander and Ralf, who are meeting (well, mostly Ander is meeting, Ralf is lurking) with a woman named Delsa.

  • Delsa is a hard-faced, middle-aged woman, very short and slim, with hair the colour of ash. She looks like she could easily disappear in a crowd.

<DiablotinNarrator> You assume she's from the Corriveaux, someone moderately important by the way Ander is talking to her - polite, but a bit hard-ass, like he's trying to impress.

<DiablotinNarrator> The conversation's a bit boring, so you're kinda only half paying attention to the words at first.

  • Denise will sit? Stand? whatever she is suppsed to be doing, paying more attention what the woman is doing than what she is saying

<DiablotinNarrator> (let's say sit, so you're not in the way of the waiters/busboys/etc, and not attracting undue attention)

<Denise> (okay)

<Ander> It's not a problem for us to get it from the docks to anywhere in the city you wanna deliver it - for the right fee.

  • Ander is saying

<Delsa> We understand. It needs to be done quickly, and out of sight.

  • Ander nods, leaning back casually.

<Ander> Of course. That's how we roll.

<Denise> . o O (oooh, neat - I bet that means the sewers!)

<Delsa> Don't you mean scamper? ;p

  • Denise makes an unimpressed face

<Ander> Depends - do you want this done or not?

  • Ander says dryly
  • Delsa makes a placating sort of hand gesture

<Delsa> The ship is The Genereux. The delivery's to the stone house at the end of Miniver Street. And you'll need at least two people to carry it.

  • Ander nods
  • Delsa sets an envelope on the table, presumably containing money, as she gets up to leave

<Delsa> It needs to be tonight.

<Ander> Understood.

  • Delsa heads off, fading away into the crowd

<Ander> Dee, I got a job for you.

  • Ander says once she's gone

<Denise> oooh? :D

<Ander> Track down Georn, or Enver if you can't find him, an' let them know there's a delivery needs to get done tonight. An' you might need to help carry, it sounds like whatever it is is heavy.

<Denise> okay!

<Ander> You heard the details?

  • Ander checks to see if you were paying close attention or not ;)

<Denise> mmm... from the genereux? To a house on Miniver?

<Ander> That's it.

  • Ander smiles, seeming pleased at that

<Denise> ..which house? >.>

<Ander> Stone one at the end, where it backs onto the old city wall.

<Ander> You know where that is?

<Denise> !roll 1d20+4

  • Zola rolls for Denise: [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 16 ].

<Denise> (K-local)

<DiablotinNarrator> It'd be in the Place D'Iena, you think you know the area

  • Denise thinks for a minute

<Denise> I know the area, anyway - but Georn oughtta

<Ander> Yeah, you won't be navigating - just so's you can find your way back if you haveta ;)

<Ander> Assuming everything goes well, I'll meet you back at the Cellar later.

<Denise> okay!

<Ander> Ralf can look after me, don't worry ;)

  • Ralf nods

<Denise> Oh I guess I can trust him just this once ;p

  • Denise teases
  • Ralf smirks

<Denise> I'll see you later!

<Ralf> I appreciate the trust.

  • Denise will hop off then, and head for the cellar, as that's going to be the best place to try and find Georn

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, you head there

<DiablotinNarrator> It's fairly quiet tonight - a few people at the bar having drinks, and a card game going on at one of the tables

  • Denise looks to see if maybe georn or Enver are actually here to start with :3

<DiablotinNarrator> You don't see Georn, but you do see Enver, hanging out near the back

<Denise> hey - is Georn around?

  • Enver is close to your age, maybe a year or so older, not as tall as you, with dark brown hair that falls in a careless wave over his bright green eyes.

<Enver> a new shipment of Onyx came in today... why, what'd you want?

  • Enver says as if that explains everything

<Denise> oh >.>

<Denise> I guess it's you an me then - got a job for tonight

<Enver> Sure - what is it?

  • Enver perks up a little at that

<Denise> picking something up from a ship, and movin' it over to the Place D'Iena

<Enver> Okay

<Enver> let's talk while we walk, you can tell me where we're goin' while we go

<Denise> can do :D

  • Enver holds the door for you like a gentleman
  • Denise will head out with him, and fill him in on the details

<Enver> Something heavy?

<Enver> is it big, too? it'll matter for which way we can go

<Denise> I don't know - but I guess we'll see when we pick it up?

  • Enver nods

<Enver> You ever gone under the river before?

<Denise> No! :D

<Denise> what's it like?

<Enver> Well, it ain't clean - I hope you don't care too much about your shoes.

<Denise> oh, hmmmm, I guess that makes sense

<Enver> The tunnels there are old ones... real old, like

<Denise> Maybe I should put on somethin'... less nice >.>

  • Denise nods

<Enver> sure, you gotta stop home first?

<Denise> if thayt's okay? Won't take long

<Enver> yeah, it's okay with me - hopefully it's okay with whoever we're supposed to meet up with

  • Enver will trail along with you while you go home to get changed, but he'll wait outside unless you're inviting him in

<Denise> well, they just said 'tonight' >.>

  • Denise will invite him in because it woudln't occur to her not to ;p

<Denise> alright then!

  • Enver mooches a cookie while he waits ;)
  • Denise emerges after a minute in her more 'running the streets' attire

<Denise> I made those :D

<Enver> Oh? they're good

  • Denise takes one for the road too

<Denise> thank - now let's go, an yo can tell me more about the old tunnels!

  • Enver will head with you to the docks, then - going above-ground for this part since secrecy is less pressing

<Enver> Sure, I can tell you some stuff

  • Enver will relate to you some of his more dramatic tales of 'shit I've seen in the undercity'
  • Denise will totally eat that shit up :V

<DiablotinNarrator> You arrive at the docks probably a bit past midnight. There are several larger ships docked there, plus the usual assortment of small boats for ferrying things up and down the river

<DiablotinNarrator> You're able to locate The Genereux, since they conveniently label those big ones. It's an Imperial Navy ship.

<Denise> (Do I have any idea who we are supposed to be looking for here?)

<DiablotinNarrator> There are a lot of crates and cargo around, and a few people here and there - sailors, hookers, some dock workers stuck unloading things at midnight, some security

<DiablotinNarrator> You weren't given a name, but you have a place where you're supposed to meet them - a little alleyway just off the quay

  • Denise heads there then :3
  • Enver as well

<DiablotinNarrator> There's a woman waiting there, in a guard uniform. For a minute you're worried maybe you're busted, but she gives you a look and says "You picking up a package?"

<Enver> That's right - got a delivery to make.

  • Denise looks to enver because this stuff is way more his job >.>

<DiablotinNarrator> The guard, if she is in fact a guard, will gesture to a crate behind her

<DiablotinNarrator> It's wooden, it's got rope handles for carrying, it's nailed shut

<Guard> Right there. Don't drop it, right?

  • Denise will go assess just how heavy it is

<Enver> Please - we're professionals.

<DiablotinNarrator> You'd say it's more bulky than heavy. You could probably carry it on your own if you had to, but it'll be easier with one person on each end.

  • Enver will go and grab one end
  • Denise nods to that

<Denise> After you...

<Enver> It's polite to tip

  • Enver points out to the 'guard'

<Denise> . o O (oooooh)

  • Guard grudgingly pulls a couple bills out and shoves them to him
  • Enver pockets them, and you can head off with your cargo

<DiablotinNarrator> You carry the crate where Enver leads you - to a little grating in a wall not too far away, which he opens to let you down. Getting the crate down the narrow stairs is a bit of a production, but you can manage

<Denise> is there more bits like that? :p

<DiablotinNarrator> Down in the tunnels, it's quieter, mostly sounds of dripping water and occasional scurrying feet in the darkness

<Enver> nah, we'll go the long way - it's wider

<Denise> okay

<DiablotinNarrator> You walk for quite a while in the dark, hefting this box which feels heavier than it did an hour ago, for some reason ;p

<Enver> Let's take a break, rest for a few minutes

  • Enver suggests after a while

<Denise> okay

  • Enver sets down his end and takes a seat on the box, which seems sturdy enough
  • Denise sets her end down gently, wondering if it would be safe to sit on >.>
  • Denise hsrugs ad will test to see if the edge will take her weight too

<DiablotinNarrator> It creaks a bit but it seems fine

<Denise> You ever think about what it woudl be like to live down here all the time?

<Enver> Yeah, sure

<Enver> It musta been pretty tough... but they had it set up better back then, too

  • Denise nods

<DiablotinNarrator> There's a weird scuffling sound from off in the tunnel ahead of you

  • Denise cocks her head

<DiablotinNarrator> Like, coming towards you instead of running away like most of the vermin down here

  • Enver also looks, and stands, drawing his knife

<Enver> Things coming closer are usually bad ;p

<Denise> (did any of his stories earlier involve running into thinsg down here that needed fighting?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (oh yes!)

<DiablotinNarrator> (and how heroic he is, of course ;)

  • Denise nods, and will activate her tattoo just in case >.>

<Denise> I'm guessi' guns down here ain't a great plan?

<Enver> Yeah, no

<DiablotinNarrator> Some kinda big rat rushes out at you - but there's something weird about it, besides it being as big as a small dog

<DiablotinNarrator> It looks like it's... rotting and kinda.... see-through, and gross

<Denise> ewww D:

<Enver> Shit!

  • Enver will take a swing at it with his knife
  • Denise will try and give it a good hard kick to send it strawling

<Denise> (sprawling)

<DiablotinNarrator> You can roll to hit

<Enver> !roll 1d20+6

  • Zola rolls for Enver: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 24 ].

<Denise> (Do I need to move to kick it? If not I'll jtake improved unarmed trip >.>

<DiablotinNarrator> (we'll say you don't have to move - I'm not bothering with the layout of this because it won't last long ;)

<Denise> !roll 1d20+7

  • Zola rolls for Denise: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 19 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> good enough!

<Denise> (if that hits, it is prone)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yup)

  • Enver manages to stab it, also

<Denise> (groovy)

<Denise> (and if I get to go before it gets up again, I will stmp it while it is down >.>)

<DiablotinNarrator> Yup, that's fine

<Denise> !roll 1d20+5

  • Zola rolls for Denise: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 17 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> it's dead...er.

<Denise> eww

  • Denise repeats, shaking ratguts off her boot
  • Enver wipes some gross dead-rat-gunk off his hands where it kind of ... squished on him when he stabbed it

<Enver> Nasty

<Denise> yeah D:

<Denise> you seen those before?

<Enver> Not that exactly... I'll ask Georn about it though

<Denise> an' like... maybe let's move on D:

  • Enver nods

<Enver> Good plan

<DiablotinNarrator> You can pick up the pace and head on to your destination, then

<DiablotinNarrator> The delivery goes off without any further hitches, and Enver will split the money with you ;)

<Denise> Now I know why you ask for tips :p

<Denise> thanks man!

<Enver> Definitely, yeah

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, ready to move on to Hettie?

<Denise> lemme know if georn says anything about the.... zombie...giant rat thing :p

  • Enver nods

<Enver> Will do

<Enver> Thanks :)

<Denise> anytime :D

Zola has an awkward dinner with her family

<DiablotinNarrator> Zola, you're woken by a phone call. By the looks of things, it must be around noontime.

  • Zola groans and crawls out of bed to answer ... Ring ring ring, it's love calling.
  • Zola picks up. "Hello?"

<DiablotinNarrator> It's your father

<Allaude> Good afternoon...

  • Allaude sort of hesitates around your name, as if he is waffling over what to call you, and winds up not saying either.

<Zola> Oh, hi Daddy.

<Allaude> How are you doing? I hope I didn't wake you.

  • Allaude is at his office, by the sounds of things in the background.

<Zola> No, no, I was already up.

  • Zola sounds rather tired though, so her lie might be obvious :P

<Allaude> Well, ah...

<Allaude> Your sister is in town for a few days, and we ... I ... thought it would be nice if you came over to dinner while she was here. The whole family together, wouldn't that be pleasant?

<Zola> Yeah, that sounds nice, it's been a while.

<Zola> When did you have in mind?

<Allaude> Is tonight good for you? or tomorrow? I'm sure it doesn't matter to your mother which night it is.

<Allaude> I'll just let her know whichever is better for you, so that she can inform Cook

<Zola> Let's say tomorrow, that gives me a chance to talk to Tits about getting the night off.

  • Zola realizes that isn't necessary, and imagines dinner going THAT late with a shudder

<Allaude> All right. We'll see you at around six tomorrow?

<Zola> Sure thing.

<Allaude> We're looking forward to it, dear.

<Zola> Love you.

<Allaude> You too.

<DiablotinNarrator> So, the next day, you can head to your parents' house for dinner. How do you want to dress/prepare?

  • Zola will dress rather conservatively, at least for her taste, in a plain dress with modest earrings
  • Allaude greets you at the door with a rather-too-manly handshake/shoulder-clasp combo

<Allaude> Good to see you, dear

  • Zola is all polite smiles..

<Zola> You too, Daddy.

<Allaude> Come on inside, we were just having a little drink before dinner. Do you want anything?

<Zola> Sure, whatever everyone else is having.

  • Allaude offers as he ushers you into the parlour, where your mother and sister are
  • Allaude will get you an aperitif, then
  • Elianne is older than you, she'd be 30 now. She has dark brown hair, long and done up in a style that was current ten or fifteen years ago, when she was young. It makes her look older than her years.
  • Mylene looks vaguely disapproving, as usual
  • Elianne stands up to greet you with a hug

<Zola> Elianne, Mother... it's good to see you.

<Elianne> Hello, Zola

  • Zola returns the hug
  • Elianne smiles to see you, and it seems genuine?
  • Elianne seems tired, however - maybe the trip from Ariege was difficult
  • Zola smiles back, relieved at least there's no obvious tension... well except from her mother.

<Zola> How was your trip?

<Elianne> I took the train - it was all right, just long and tiring.

<Elianne> You're looking very well. I like your earrings.

<Zola> Uh... thank you, I picked them out at the store...

<Zola> How're things back home?

<Elianne> Very busy - so much work

<Mylene> The store is doing very well, though - the latest figures looked excellent

  • Mylene says, smiling to Elianne - she was always proud of your sister's skill
  • Zola 's eyes flicker to the heavens briefly.

<Zola> All the more reason I'm surprised they didn't make you take the airship :)

  • Elianne chuckles

<Elianne> I don't really care for them... at least if something happens with the train, you're not a mile off the ground.

<Zola> Landing on your feet isn't enough from that high up :)

<Elianne> Not really, no...

<Elianne> So, I hear you're singing at a club now?

  • Mylene gives a faintly disapproving sniff at that

<Zola> Yes, Titania's Cabaret, it's run by the Princess Imperial, a friend of mine.

<Elianne> Well! That sounds very impressive.

<Mylene> Just because she's a princess doesn't mean that it's a very proper sort of place.

  • Mylene takes the opportunity to point out, of course

<Zola> Well, she's somewhat right there... it's not the Imperial, but she's put a lot of work into it and it's quite nice.

  • Allaude returns with your drink

<Allaude> Here you go, dear...

<Zola> Thank you :)

<Mylene> In any case, that's rather part of what we wanted to speak with you about tonight

  • Mylene says, getting down to business
  • Elianne stifles a sigh, and your father looks a little frowny

<Allaude> Surely it could wait until after dinner...?

<Zola> Oh?

<Mylene> Your sister is being courted by Jerome Dannecker - you know, of Dannecker Hardware?

  • Zola doesn't really have any idea who that is...

<Zola> Well that's nice...

  • Zola smiles at Elianne

<DiablotinNarrator> You recognize the name of a chain of stores, if not the person... not as wealthy as your family's of course, but there are several branches, and besides Torvalle's doesn't really have a hardware division.

  • Elianne has a slightly stiff smile about this

<Mylene> The Danneckers are an excellent family, our sort of people. It would be a good match.

<Mylene> So we don't want to have them get wind that there's anything... improper about us.

  • Mylene says, eyeing you

<Zola> You mean how I spend my time with a Princess Imperial?

<Allaude> Dear, I'm sure that there's no reason they would need to worry...

  • Allaude sort of tries to smooth things over

<Elianne> Is it better if he finds out after we're married?

  • Elianne asks

<Mylene> No, well, certainly not... but perhaps after you're engaged and things are more... firmly settled.

<Zola> You sound like you're working out a contract, Mother.

<Mylene> Well of course there are contracts involved.

  • Elianne sighs slightly

<Zola> I suppose your skill at hiding the ugly side of things is why you do so well with business contracts as well.

<Mylene> You can't pretend you have no idea how things like this work.

<Mylene> All I'm asking is that you not ruin things.

<Mylene> It's not so much to ask, for your sister's happiness...

<Elianne> <m> ... for the business...

<Zola> I know very well how you want things like this to work. Marriage is about love, and you should treat Elianne's marriage that way too.

<Mylene> Oh, do be practical.

  • Zola rolls her eyes

<Allaude> Well... surely it's about time for dinner?

  • Allaude says hopefully
  • Zola turns to her father and lets him lead the way

<Allaude> We're not asking you to change, dear... just, perhaps... if we need you to come for a family dinner, or the like...

  • Allaude says awkwardly as he leads you in to the dining room

<Allaude> You could be Mico for the occasion?

<Zola> Right, of course... a costume for family dinners. Will Mother be dressed as a clown?

<Allaude> ha hah...

  • Allaude chuckles uncomfortably\

<DiablotinNarrator> Dinner can proceed in semi-awkwardness

  • Elianne will try to get you aside afterwards, out of earshot of your parents

<Elianne> Let me show you this necklace I brought, you can tell me if it's in style...

  • Elianne says to have an excuse to bring you to her room
  • Zola follows, somewhat wearily

<Elianne> I want you to know... it wasn't my idea.

<Zola> Mother doesn't need help coming up with ways to be judgmental.

  • Elianne nods

<Elianne> I'm happy with you as you are, as long as you're happy.

  • Zola starts to tear up a little.

<Zola> Thank you...

  • Elianne gives you a hug
  • Zola hugs back.

<Zola> We haven't talked much in years, I figured Mother would have said all sorts of things about me...

<Elianne> I really did mean it about the necklace, though... I have no idea what people are wearing in Diablotin right now.

  • Elianne says with a smile
  • Zola laughs

<Elianne> I know better than to listen to most things Mother says. She's good at business... not at people.

<Zola> I'm so glad.

  • Zola wipes her eyes.
  • Zola is glad she didn't put on much makeup today >_>
  • Elianne offers you a handkerchief
  • Zola dabs

<Zola> So, the necklace...

<Elianne> oh, yes

  • Elianne will get it, and your advice

<Zola> It's lovely, and it goes very well with your outfit... but what sort of look are you going for?

<Zola> Current styles?

<Elianne> I don't know, honestly... something not too flashy or too young, but not old-fashioned either.

<Elianne> I've been considering cutting my hair, too... do you think it would be a good idea?

<Zola> Well... it might be a *little* behind the times?

<Zola> Maybe we should take a trip to the shops, and we can see about your hair too?

<Elianne> THat sounds lovely :)

  • Zola smiles.
  • Zola will work out how long she's in town and set a date

Hugo runs into his ex-fiancee, Dasra, who then seeks aid from Lathra

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo, you are strolling up to the club before opening time, and you notice an elegantly-dressed woman lingering outside the club as if she isn't quite certain about going in.

<DiablotinNarrator> She paces a bit, then turns, and you get a good look at her

  • Dasra is the former Dasra Junod, your ex-fiancée, now Mme. Dasra Neherin.

<Hugonel> Uh ... I say! Dasra, is that you?

<Dasra> Oh, Hugo :o

  • Dasra seems surprised to see you there.

<Hugonel> It is ... it has been a long time.

<Dasra> How rude of me - how are you doing? It's been ages since we spoke.

<Hugonel> (how long has she been married?)

<Dasra> (uh.. how long ago were you engaged? like 15 years ago?)

<Hugonel> (yeah)

<Dasra> (probably she's been married about 12 years, then? she didn't sit around pining for you for that long)

<Hugonel> It's wonderful to see you. What brings you by Titania's this evening?

  • Dasra looks somewhat thinner than you recall. Her black hair is cut in a stylish bob and she's of course wearing the latest styles (as appropriate for a married woman, though, nothing too scandalous)

<Dasra> Well...

  • Dasra seems to be considering whether to tell you

<Hugonel> What is it?

<Dasra> I was actually here looking for a woman named Lathra. Do you know her?

<Hugonel> Ah ... yes, of course. I'm not sure whether she's here yet.

<Dasra> I wasn't sure, but I also wasn't sure how else to reach her.

<Hugonel> Well, come in, at any rate.

  • Hugonel takes her around through the staff entrance.

<Dasra> Thank you...

<Dasra> How have you been, Hugo?

  • Dasra asks as you enter the building

<Hugonel> I've been well. I still keep up with some of the folks from the Castalia, of course. But my heart is here now.

<Hugonel> Yourself?

<Dasra> Oh... I'm well enough.

  • Dasra sounds a bit down, though

<Hugonel> Would you like a drink? We're not open yet but that doesn't matter.

<Dasra> welll... yes, that would be lovely, thank you.

  • Dasra says after a moment's waffling
  • Hugonel will go get her something nice, and one for himself too.

<Dasra> Thank you, that's so kind

<Hugonel> (if I see anyone along the way, I will ask them to get Lathra to stop by the green room, and let her know she has a visitor.)

<Dasra> (okay, you can get Haft to find her, he's around)

<Hugonel> So you're here to see Lathra ... about a religious matter?

<Dasra> Well... a personal matter, I suppose.

<Dasra> I don't know how much you may have heard. My husband's lands are... were... between Kyrone and Isyene.

<Hugonel> Ah, I see. I haven't heard anything.

<Dasra> During the war, they were quite devastated.

<Hugonel> I'm so sorry to hear that.

<Dasra> Raimond went there to try and help, or to ... I don't know what he even thought he could do.

<Dasra> He wound up caught up in things, and was badly hurt.

<Dasra> Gas.

  • Dasra says simply

<Hugonel> Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.

  • Dasra shrugs

<Dasra> Thank you...

  • Dasra sips her drink

<Dasra> I've spoken to Lathra a few times... she's been quite helpful, as far as helping me ... cope, I suppose.

<Hugonel> Yes, of course. She has that effect on many people.

  • Dasra nods

<Dasra> I find it helps me to keep busy.

  • Lathra prepares a few things and heads to the green room as soon as she gets the message.

<Dasra> I like having company over, and conversations that give me plenty to think about...

<Hugonel> Is your salon still as active as ever?

<Dasra> Yes, it's about all that keeps me going some days.

<Dasra> ...Would you like to join us one day? I don't know whether you'd find it interesting, but I try to have a good mix of guests, artists, authors and the like.

<Hugonel> I ... yes, I might quite like that. I wasn't sure if I would be welcome.

<Dasra> Oh, well... after all this time, you didn't think I was still holding a grudge, did you?

  • Dasra teases slightly

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra, you can get there whenever you want :)

<Hugonel> No, I suppose not.

  • Lathra hustles into the room

<Lathra> Hugonel, are you in here? I had a message...

  • Dasra turns to see Lathra and looks rather relieved

<Lathra> Oh, there you are, and why hello, Dasra dear!

<Dasra> Hello - I'm so sorry to bother you here, I hope it's not an inconvenience?

<Lathra> Oh my of course it never is, it never is, dear!

  • Dasra smiles weakly

<Dasra> Thank you...

<Lathra> But why whatever is the matter? We can go to my store room if you'd prefer to speak privately?

<Dasra> I'd appreciate that

  • Dasra turns to Hugo

<Dasra> Shall I give you a ring, then, one of these days?

<Hugonel> Of course. Although I would have thought you had enough of rings when it comes to me, Dasra my dear.

  • Hugonel winks.
  • Dasra laughs

<Lathra> Thank you so much for sending for me, Hugonel!

<Dasra> I see you haven't changed.

<Hugonel> Only for the better.

  • Dasra finishes up her drink and will go with Lathra, then
  • Dasra seems like she's upset about something, you can tell, Lathra

<Lathra> (Once we're out of the room) Why the two of you are *darling* together, Dasra dear. What a... personality that man has.

  • Dasra sighs, but nods

<Dasra> We were engaged, once... a very long time ago, though.

<Dasra> It didn't work out.

<Lathra> Well I'm sorry to hear it, but... I wonder if that isn't rather a pattern for him?

  • Lathra winks

<Dasra> Yes, it is. Hugo's not one for settling down, I don't think.

<Dasra> It was really more our families' idea...

<Dasra> but... I'm sorry, that's not what I came here to talk about.

  • Dasra says, getting back on track

<Lathra> Well, I rather thought it wasn't, and I'm sorry if I might have been prying - it wasn't my intention.

<Dasra> No, no, not at all.

<Lathra> My store-room's just over here, with the changing rooms.

<Dasra> It was so long ago, it's hardly private any longer.

  • Dasra will join you in the store-room, then

<Dasra> It's about my husband, actually...

  • Lathra leads Dasra into a converted changing room that hasn't really changed that much - she keeps robes in here for emergencies.

<Lathra> Oh my, is he well, I hope?

<DiablotinNarrator> (Dasra has told you about her husband before, who is an invalid since injuries sustained in the war, but you haven't met him.)

<Dasra> No, not really.

  • Dasra bites her lip, considering how to explain

<Lathra> Worse yet?

<Dasra> He's been having... bad dreams? If that's what they are. I don't really know if he's asleep during them.

  • Lathra looks a little stunned

<Lathra> ...

<Lathra> ... go on, dear.

<Dasra> Sometimes he says things during them... things that don't really make sense.

<Lathra> Does he ever... say things during them which *do* make sense?

<Dasra> ...He yells about the trees. I don't know which trees.

<Dasra> but he's so distraught... nothing I can say will help, when he's like that. All I can do is give him more of his medicine until he quiets down.

<Dasra> I wondered if you would be willing to pay him a visit... I don't know if you can help, but maybe... I thought it was worth a try?

<Lathra> Well, I can understand that it must be awfully distressing, but I don't suppose it's unusual for one in such a condition to have awful dreams. But... I would certainly be willing to pay him a visit, if only to put *your* mind at ease.

<Dasra> Thank you... I understand, of course, if you can't come tonight, on such short notice, if you're busy...

<Lathra> (Am I busy?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (well, you'd normally be at the club, but probably no one is going to complain if you show up late?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (it's not like you have to go on stage or something)

<DiablotinNarrator> (it's really up to you if you want to go with her now, or make plans to visit tomorrow, say)

<Lathra> If you can believe it, I'm not busy at all, though I certainly will be later. I'd be delighted to come.

<Dasra> Oh, thank you, I do appreciate it

  • Lathra packs a few things and writes a quick note to leave for Tits.

<Dasra> I parked just down the street...

  • Dasra can take you to her car, and drive you to her house in the Grand
  • Lathra is delighted as always by the chance to go for a drive

<Dasra> It's so strange... he only started this a few weeks ago, but it seems to be getting worse, not better.

  • Lathra double-checks that she packed her notebook
  • Dasra says as you drive along, crossing the Eagle Bridge into the elegant neighbourhood across the river

<Lathra> How often does it happen?

<Dasra> At first it was only occasionally. Now it seems to happen every night, every few hours even.

<Lathra> Oh my, how awful for you, my dear

  • Lathra leans into all the corners just as if she's riding her bicycle

<Dasra> It makes it almost impossible to sleep soundly... for me, but also for him. I'm afraid he's wasting away.

<Dasra> Is it a terrible thought to think that maybe it would be ... for the best, for him? :/

<Lathra> I'm not a believer in terrible thoughts, dear.

  • Dasra gives you a relieved look

<Lathra> It would be terrible for you and everybody to lose him, and for him it would be terrible for his life to end, but I'm sure you're right that it wouldn't be at all terrible for his suffering to be over. And, one way or another, one day his suffering will end.

  • Dasra nods

<Dasra> He's never going to be the way he was before...

  • Dasra sighs

<Dasra> I don't know. I don't want to lose him, even like this.

<Dasra> But I hate how he's suffering.

<Lathra> Well my dear, that is the very best kind of selfishness.

  • Dasra pulls up the drive to her small but tasteful home.

<Dasra> You always seem to know the right thing to say to help me feel better, Lathra.

  • Dasra says with a slight smile
  • Dasra will lead you into her home, and upstairs to the room where her husband rests.

<Lathra> Well I'm quite glad to have helped, but as you know, with my clients I speak only what I believe. You're good to him, Dasra, and you're good *for* him.

  • Raimond is a haggard, pale figure, lying in bed with his eyes closed. His breathing is raspy and laboured. He looks well-cared for, but obviously not healthy at all.
  • Dasra goes to a chair that is at his bedside, sitting down to take his hand.

<Dasra> Raimond, dear, I'm back... I brought a friend as well, her name is Lathra.

  • Lathra quietly takes a chair and waits to see if he will wake.
  • Raimond stirs slightly, but doesn't open his eyes

<Raimond> <w> ...can't see... too many branches...

<Dasra> There aren't any branches here, darling, you're at home, in bed

  • Lathra pulls out her notebook and starts taking notes.

<Lathra> Dasra dear, let him speak - I'd like to hear what he's seeing.

<Dasra> oh... of course. Sorry.

  • Dasra falls silent, just holding his hand tightly.

<Raimond> <w> ... all the paths... closing up...

<Raimond> <w> lost, they're all lost, it's too dark, they can't go home...

  • Lathra is startled again

<Lathra> Raimond... which path is best?

  • Raimond 's voice is hoarse, barely raised above a whisper

<Lathra> Are there any paths for you?

<Raimond> the path through the trees... the path to the stars...

<Raimond> it's gone, it's burning up

<Raimond> the air burns!

<Dasra> <w> sometimes he says that... I think he's remembering how the gas burned his lungs... :(

<Lathra> Do you have his medicine ready, if he gets too distressed?

  • Dasra nods to a bottle at the bedside table

<Raimond> <w> build a shell, make a cage

<Raimond> hurry, the gate's open!

  • Lathra scribbles furiously.
  • Raimond thrashes around, more distraught
  • Dasra looks pained

<Lathra> <w> Give him just a little, dear.

  • Dasra gives him a small sip of the medicine
  • Raimond begins to calm down again, going back to muttering instead of crying out

<Raimond> <w> the trees aren't empty, the trees ...

<Lathra> What is in the trees?

<Raimond> <w> ... lost...

  • Raimond has tears streaming down his face

<Raimond> <w> can't go...

  • Lathra pulls a handkerchief from his bag and dabs his face gently.
  • Raimond falls silent, possibly back into sleep

<Dasra> That's what it's like... at least a few times a night now. sometimes worse.

<Dasra> maybe he'll rest now...

<Lathra> I hope so, for your sake.

<Dasra> Thank you...

<Lathra> Tell me, do you always sit with him when he's having an... episode?

<Dasra> I try... sometimes if I can't, then our maid will stay. we have a nurse come in a few times a week as well.

<Dasra> just so I can have a break once in a while...

<Lathra> That's very good, dear. You must be aware of when you can't, and leave him be for your own health.

  • Dasra nods

<Dasra> Thank you...

  • Dasra says again, as if she's clinging to any hope

<Lathra> Now, may I tell you something in confidence?

<Dasra> Yes, certainly

<Lathra> I know a man who has similar episodes. His health is much better than Raimond's, but there's a queer similarity between the episodes, and I shall ask him if he has any advice on how to make them easier on oneself.

<Dasra> Oh? THank you, that would be helpful... I'm sorry to hear that other people are suffering, but if he has any advice, I'd be grateful.

  • Dasra rises to give you a hug

<Lathra> But even if there's nothing he can suggest, you may keep in mind that your husband's episodes aren't unique.

  • Dasra nods
  • Lathra gladly gives a comforting hug.

Aubrienne meets up with Briza and Cassandreia for drinks and pick-ups

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, you've managed to coordinate with Briza and Cassie a time when you can go out for some fun after work - meaning that at about five in the morning you three wash up at a little dive near the Castalia, The Grey Cat.

<DiablotinNarrator> It's nothing much to look at, but it's open and serving drinks.

<Aubrienne> (Well, there's my two requirements met)

  • Briza is unduly amused by the name

<Briza> Don't they say that in the dark all cats are grey? Isn't that like... something about sex?

  • Cassandreia giggles

<Cassandreia> Do they say that in the Shadow Plane too? It wouldn't make as much sense there

<Briza> Shit, I don't know, I haven't been there since I was a little kid. Probably there are some that are black, or white?

  • Briza ruffles her own white curls playfully.

<Aubrienne> I'm not sure that's true.

<Aubrienne> The cats in the dark thing.

<Aubrienne> I'm sure it's about sex.

<Cassandreia> I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference between cats in the dark.

<Aubrienne> (How crowded is it?)

<DiablotinNarrator> A few students, but at this hour, not very busy

<Cassandreia> At least, cats that I know...

<Cassandreia> Maybe if I'd never met the cat before?

  • Cassandreia is a bit tipsy already

<Aubrienne> I was going to say, Cass. How much practice do you have discerning between two cats in the dark?

  • Cassandreia giggles

<Cassandreia> Do I have to discern two at once?

<Cassandreia> That sounds more complicated

<Aubrienne> Why? Are there more?

  • Briza orders a round of drinks for you all

<Cassandreia> I think the most cats I could handle is about one at a time.

<Aubrienne> Why thank you, madam. However will we repay you?

<Briza> You can get the next round!

<Aubrienne> I guess that's acceptable.

  • Aubrienne fake pouts

<Briza> Okay, so ... can I ask you something?

  • Briza says once the drinks arrive

<Aubrienne> Sure thing.

<Briza> Is Jed seeing anyone?

<Cassandreia> Does that matter, for shadar-kai? ;p

<Briza> It matters if I don't want some other girl to knife me ;p

<Aubrienne> He's not seeing anyone seriously at the moment.

<Aubrienne> I think you'd be safe.

  • Briza grins

<Briza> All right, thanks

<Cassandreia> Would some girl really stab you over a guy she liked? :o

<Briza> maybe... but she might just be flirting ;p

<Cassandreia> Shadar-kai are weird... no offense.

  • Briza laughs

<Aubrienne> Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

  • Aubrienne waggles her eyebrows at Cass
  • Cassandreia blushes a little
  • Aubrienne bumps her shoulder playfully into Cassie's

<Aubrienne> Let's see what we have tonight.

  • Aubrienne turns to survey the room.
  • Cassandreia looks around at the rather paltry selection of drunk students

<Briza> I dunno, the guy with the black hair over there isn't bad.

  • Cassandreia looks where she's (somewhat subtly) indicating

<Cassandreia> He's wearing a robe over his clothes. Who wears a robe?

<Cassandreia> Is it like 2100 or something?

<Aubrienne> So, you're thinking about what's under the robe, huh?

<Aubrienne> Let's find out.

<Cassandreia> ... it looks like 'scruffy clothes'

  • Aubrienne strolls over in that direction.

<Aubrienne> (What is he doing? Is he by himself?)

  • Student is by himself, with copious amounts of coffee and a book
  • Aubrienne sits down across from him.
  • Student looks up, surprised

<Aubrienne> Hiya!

<Student> Oh, uh.... hello!

  • Student smiles, a bit flustered

<Aubrienne> Whatcha workin' on?

<Student> Well, it's supposed to be a dissertation. It.. isn't yet.

<Aubrienne> Oh? Do tell?

<Student> Uh... okay. Well, do you know much about history?

  • Student seems uncertain where to start

<Aubrienne> Let's say it's not really my subject.

<Aubrienne> But I'm a quick learner.

<Student> Well, I'm working on the role of propaganda during the reign of Empress Roslin Marcoux... it was a time when the Empire was expanding a lot, and sort of... examining the reasons they gave as to why military conquest was justified - because in legend, the lands up in the Silver Desert and that area were where we originally came from.

<Student> And of course, now that's been shown to be true, since the rediscovery of Am, so ...

<Student> But whether they actually knew that at the time, is debateable

<Student> Maybe it was just a good excuse.

  • Student says with a sort of shy smile

<Aubrienne> So you're wondering if they were telling the truth, or it was all smoke and mirrors.

<Aubrienne> I know a thing or two about that.

<Aubrienne> Now, I have a very serious question for you...I didn't catch your name.

<Student> Right, did they actually have any evidence that it was true? Were there artifacts or documents that haven't survived down to our day that maybe they were using to justify their cause?

<Student> oh.. oh, of course, sorry.

<Student> My name's Cedric.

<Aubrienne> Nice to meet you Cedric, I'm Aubrienne.

<Cedric> What's your name?

<Cedric> Oh, you just said.

  • Cedric blushes, looking embarrassed

<Cedric> Hi, Aubrienne...

<Aubrienne> Now, to my question. Is this [places her hands on his books and papers] due tomorrow?

<Cedric> No, no ... I don't really have a deadline, except when my money to pay for tuition runs out.

<Aubrienne> Dandy. :)

<Aubrienne> Because I have something of a homework assignment for you.

<Cedric> ... you do?

<Aubrienne> You see those two lovely ladies at the bar?

  • Cedric looks mildly terrified/intrigued

<Cedric> yes

  • Aubrienne gestures to her friends.

<Aubrienne> The taller of the two is my friend Briza, and she told me she thought you looked, and I quote, "Not bad." I'd call that, what, a C? And you look like a man who hasn't settled for less than an A in his life. So why don't you go over there, buy her a drink, and make the grade?

<Cedric> Uh... okay. Yes ma'am.

<Aubrienne> Thataboy.

  • Cedric will put his books and papers away and go over to the bar to buy Briza a drink, as instructed
  • Aubrienne smiles and gestures for Cassie to come take the vacated seat.
  • Cassandreia comes over, leaving them to their conversation

<Aubrienne> She is going to eat that boy alive.

<Cassandreia> How'd you do that?

  • Cassandreia asks curiously

<Aubrienne> Magic.

  • Aubrienne waggles her fingers playfully
  • Cassandreia looks like she's not quite sure whether to believe you or not

<Aubrienne> I'm joking, Cass. It's the same magic girls like her have been using on guys like him for, well, ever.

  • Cassandreia is young and not yet wise in the ways of the world ;)
  • Cassandreia nods

<Aubrienne> A pretty smile and the right attitude will get you the world. You should know: you're in show business now.

<Aubrienne> ;)

  • Cassandreia smiles back

<Cassandreia> I'm not as brave as you, though....

<Aubrienne> Well, no, that's just a crying shame. You could have whatever fella you wanted.

<Aubrienne> Any dame too, I'd wager.

  • Cassandreia blushes again

<Cassandreia> You think?

<Aubrienne> Why not? You're a knockout. You're telling me the guys at Tits aren't falling over themselves to talk to you? If they aren't they're a pack of fools.

  • Aubrienne keeps an eye of Briza and Cedric to be safe, though which one she's worried about is a fair question

<Cassandreia> Sure, they like to talk... I don't really know what to say back to them.

  • Cassandreia fiddles with the cuff of her coat

<Aubrienne> Well, I guess that depends on what you want from them.

<Aubrienne> What do you want, Cass?

  • Aubrienne meets Cassie's gaze, just long enough to put a little suggestion into the words.
  • Cassandreia looks over at you with big brown eyes that look like they're saying 'you'

<Cassandreia> ...Not guys.

  • Cassandreia says eventually.
  • Aubrienne smiles

<Aubrienne> Well, now, then maybe it won't be as hard to find something to your liking as I thought.

  • Cassandreia smiles shyly

<Aubrienne> (How do Briza and Cedric look to be doing?)

  • Briza has her arm around him and they seem to be deep in conversation - prooobably not about 15th century military propaganda

<Aubrienne> Would you like to get out of here?

<Cassandreia> Yes, please

  • Aubrienne tosses down a few coins, stands, and offers her hand to Cass.
  • Cassandreia takes it

<Aubrienne> Madam?

  • Aubrienne casts a look back at Briza.

<Aubrienne> Have a good night, you two. Briza, don't break your new toy.

  • Briza just sort of waves when she sees you going, with a smile

<Briza> I'll be good... mostly

  • Aubrienne smiles at Cassie and pulls her outside.
  • Cassandreia seems ready to follow you wherever you want to take her
  • Aubrienne turns south towards the bridge to Imperial City
  • Cassandreia goes along, still holding your hand

<Aubrienne> So, out of curiosity, is this, ah, not something you've done before? You seemed a little embarrassed. It's cute.

  • Aubrienne gives Cassie's hand a reassuring squeeze.

<Cassandreia> Well.. not exactly? Um... there was a girl when I was in school, that I liked, but we never did anything more than 'practicing kissing' kind of things.

<Cassandreia> She liked boys, really. or at least, mostly? I'm not quite sure.

  • Aubrienne gives a gentle, wistful laugh

<Aubrienne> Yeah, I know how that goes.

<Cassandreia> Does that happen a lot?

  • Cassandreia seems curious

<Aubrienne> I don't want to oversell my breadth of experience, but it seems kind of common.

  • Cassandreia nods

<Aubrienne> To be fair, I mean, people want different things at different times.

<Aubrienne> Some folks have to find things out about themselves...some people always know what they want.

  • Aubrienne is sure to give Cassie an appraising (and approving) look as she says the last part.

<Cassandreia> I never really felt that interested in guys... not like my friends did, anyway.

<Cassandreia> They're nice enough I guess? But not...

  • Cassandreia fumbles for the right words

<Aubrienne> Right for you?

<Cassandreia> They don't make me feel all nervous and excited in a good way.

  • Aubrienne smiles
  • Aubrienne will walk along in silence for a bit, assuming Cassie doesn't speak up, just enjoying the night air and pleasant company

<Cassandreia> Is that the same for you?

<Aubrienne> I think so. I mean, everyone is different, so I can't say for certain, but I like guys fine. Jed is my best friend, Dorien is a doll, Jaspart makes me laugh more than anyone I've ever met, but...there's no spark there for me.

  • Cassandreia nods

<Aubrienne> I can appreciate a handsome man...half my act is built on it.

<Aubrienne> But seeing someone like you, for instance...

  • Aubrienne lets the moment hang a second

<Aubrienne> ...spark.

  • Cassandreia nods, and leans over to kiss you
  • Aubrienne smiles as Cassie leans in and returns the kiss wholeheartedly.

<Cassandreia> ...I'm trying to be more brave, like you said :)

  • Cassandreia says eventually

<Aubrienne> Seems like you're doing a fine job to me.

<Aubrienne> And this is where I have to be brave.

<Aubrienne> You're gorgeous, and all I want to do right now is take you home and, well, see how much more your practicing paid off.

<Aubrienne> But I'm not looking to be anybody's sweetheart right now, Cass.

<Cassandreia> Oh...

<Cassandreia> I understand

<Aubrienne> I don't want you to think that means I don't want you.

  • Cassandreia nods

<Aubrienne> Because I do. But I also want you to know where I'm coming from.

<Cassandreia> So...it would be only tonight?

<Aubrienne> That's not what I'm saying at all.

<Aubrienne> Sweetie, I'm sure we've got plenty of nights in us.

<Aubrienne> I'm just not settling down just this moment.

<Cassandreia> oh...

<Cassandreia> well, I couldn't settle down now either.

<Cassandreia> I'm only seventeen!

<Aubrienne> You'd be surprised...

  • Aubrienne smirks

<Aubrienne> But, if you're up for it, I would very much like to take you back to my place and hopefully continue your studies.

  • Cassandreia thinks about it for about half a second, and nods

<Cassandreia> I'd like that too.


Gen, Dorien, and Argent run into Dorien's ex-fiancee

<DiablotinNarrator> Gen, you haven't heard anything back from August and his mysterious 'friends' yet, and keeping your nerves in check while you wait is getting difficult, yet you don't want to pester him...

<DiablotinNarrator> Being anxious, you're tempted to drink more, to take the edge off.

  • Gen is anxious but also a little less withdrawn, for anyone who notices such things and cares. Hope is a powerful thing.
  • Gen drinks what she can to take her mind off things and the edge off the constant pain.

<DiablotinNarrator> One of the tables you're clearing at the club tonight has left the better part of a bottle of brandy behind. Maybe they didn't care for it, but you're not nearly as picky...

<DiablotinNarrator> (you can make a will save if you want to try and avoid putting it aaalll away. or, you know, just give in ^-^)

  • Gen will make a detour somewhere she can't be seen to transfer its contents into her pocket flask, and drink the rest.

<DiablotinNarrator> The staircase is usually a good bet

  • Gen tops up her flask and then checks how much is left in the bottle...

<DiablotinNarrator> a bit less than half, say

  • Gen looks around halfheartedly for a good hiding spot, realizing that if she drinks ALL of that now, she probably will be too drunk to work.

<DiablotinNarrator> (Are you trying to avoid drinking it all?)

<Gen> . o O (But... everything hurts, so much...)

<Gen> (Struggling with my inner demons)

<Gen> (13 for my will save)

<Gen> (to avoid drinking it all)

<DiablotinNarrator> You have several hearty drinks, but manage to set it aside before consuming the *entire* rest of the bottle. Enough to get you to a state of pleasant numbness, anyway.

<Gen> (numbness is good... as long as I don't stumble and break the dishes)

  • Gen thinks, in her alcoholic daze, that hiding the rest would be a good idea, for some night when there isn't as much left behind by patrons.

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - you can stash it in the basement somewhere

  • Gen makes her way (unsteadily or reasonably sober-looking?) downstairs.

<DiablotinNarrator> You manage to hide it in the wine cellar, behind some barrels, where you think it won't be noticed

  • Gen then returns to work, well-satisfied with herself.

<DiablotinNarrator> Then you can make your way back upstairs - surely work will go much smoother now, you're feeling better

<DiablotinNarrator> (flipping to Argent for a moment)

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent, you're at work, being run off your feet as usual.

<DiablotinNarrator> A couple come in and are seated in your section. The woman is pretty, if serious-looking - maybe it's just the glasses. She's got red hair and is very pale.

<DiablotinNarrator> The man, however, you recognize. His name is Charlen Audemars, and he's another inquisitor. Quite a bit older than you, probably close to 30 or so. You don't know him really well, but what you do know makes you think he's kind of a jerk.

  • Charlen doesn't seem to recognize you, or if he does he's good at hiding it
  • Charlen is very thin, scrawny really, with a little curled mustache that seems like he probably spends way too much time on cultivating it
  • Argent will conceal his recognition of the man as well
  • Charlen barely glances at you as you arrive to take their orders

<Charlen> I'll have the duck a l'orange, she'll have a salad.

<Charlen> And two glasses of the '76 Laperrine

<DiablotinNarrator> Your cheapest wine, and not even a whole bottle of it...

<DiablotinNarrator> The woman looks like she might want to say something, but keeps her mouth shut.

<Argent> An excellent pairing. Anything to start? We have a wonderful bruschetta tonight.

<Charlen> No, that's fine, thank you.

  • Charlen turns back to his conversation with his date (?)

<Charlen> So, tell me more about your work

<Argent> (is the woman afraid or just nervous?)

  • Argent will slip away from the table but try to stay within earshot

<DiablotinNarrator> (you could make a Sense Motive check to try and get a sense)

<Argent> (OK = 24)

<DiablotinNarrator> (You think that she is nervous, and a bit annoyed with this guy - you think that it is a date, but not a very successful one so far)

<DiablotinNarrator> (flipping to Dorien now ;)

<DiablotinNarrator> Dorien, you're having a pretty successful night. Plenty of customers, plenty of cute girls getting wasted and flirty.

<DiablotinNarrator> Everything's coming up Dorien!

<Dorien_Voclain> (Woot!)

<DiablotinNarrator> You are just finishing up with a pair of customers when you look over and realize that Emelinda is at a table with some guy with a poncy mustache.

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent is just finishing taking their order, it looks like.

  • Dorien_Voclain feels his heart drop into his stomach.
  • Emelinda doesn't seem to have noticed you, she's facing more towards the stage

<Dorien_Voclain> <w> shit...

<Dorien_Voclain> (Who else is working the bar?)

  • Argent will swing by the bar to drop of the drink request

<DiablotinNarrator> Neva is there, and in terms of wait staff, Argent and Gen are around, probably some others too?

  • Dorien_Voclain will wave Argent over.

<Argent> For the cheapskate and his date...

<Argent> Hey Dorian, whats can do for?

<Dorien_Voclain> Do you know who that guy is?

  • Dorien_Voclain gestures to moustache man
  • Neva will get the cheap drinks in question
  • Argent shrugs

<Argent> Someone who is not charming their date with food thats for sure.

<Dorien_Voclain> Hey... would you mind if I take those drinks over to them?

<Argent> Serving drinks isn't up your typical ally... whats going on?

<Dorien_Voclain> She's... an old friend. I just want an excuse to say hello.

<Argent> Be my guest... its not like I'm going to get a great tip anway... just watch yourself though, that guy can likely mean business when he wants to. Just the vibe I get off him.

  • Argent will hand him the tray.
  • Dorien_Voclain shrugs.

<Dorien_Voclain> Looks like kind of a ponce to me. Don't worry, you'll get the tip

<Dorien_Voclain> Thanks, I owe you one

  • Dorien_Voclain will take the drinks and head over to the table.
  • Gen watches her cousin take drinks to someone's table in puzzlement. That's not his job...?
  • Argent nods and willturn to watch the show

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - Dorien, you can take the drinks over to their table

<Dorien_Voclain> Your drinks... I must say, with our extensive wine list, I could probably recommend something a little better.

  • Charlen sort of glances up at you, long enough to realize you aren't the same waiter as before
  • Emelinda looks up and does a double-take

<Emelinda> Dorien?

<Dorien_Voclain> Emelinda.

<Charlen> You two know each other?

<Dorien_Voclain> Oh, we go back a ways.

<Emelinda> Well, we did, once.

<Dorien_Voclain> How have you been Em?

<Emelinda> I'm all right...

<Dorien_Voclain> Good to hear.

<Charlen> Thanks for the drinks.

  • Dorien_Voclain sets down the drinks.
  • Charlen says, evidently dismissing you

<Emelinda> ...

  • Emelinda seems torn over what to do

<Charlen> Oh, I suppose you're waiting for a tip.

<Dorien_Voclain> Well, I can see that you're busy here. I suppose I should let you two love birds get back to the show. It seems like you're having such a wonderful time.

  • Charlen hands you some petty change
  • Dorien_Voclain looks at the proferred coins.

<Dorien_Voclain> Tell you what. I have a tip for you.

<Dorien_Voclain> Be careful of your date here.

  • Emelinda winces a little

<Charlen> What is that supposed to mean?

  • Dorien_Voclain turns to head back to the bar.
  • Charlen asks menacingly, standing up
  • Dorien_Voclain turns back.

<Dorien_Voclain> It means she's real good at kicking people when they're down.

<Charlen> Get back here and explain yourself!

<Dorien_Voclain> Let her explain it.

  • Dorien_Voclain heads back
  • Charlen realizes he's making a scene and sits down, bristling
  • Gen feels protective of her cousin and has moved forward as she witnesses the probable beginnings of an altercation.

<Dorien_Voclain> (If he doesn't stop me I'll head to the employee area to cool down)

<DiablotinNarrator> He isn't going to stop you, no... but Gen is moving closer, apparently

  • Dorien_Voclain hands Argent a few dollars as I pass him. "Thanks."
  • Gen was just getting ready to smack the dude or heal people if she had to, but when the man with the bad moustache sits back down, I'll probably stop.
  • Gen follows Dorien out of the common area, though.
  • Dorien_Voclain sits down in the stairwell, head in his hands.
  • Gen comes up and sits down next to him.

<Gen> You all right?

<Dorien_Voclain> No... maybe... I don't know.

<Gen> Do you want to talk about it?

<Dorien_Voclain> That was Emelinda. My fi... my ex fiance.

  • Argent watches the cousins chat but doesn not interfer

<Dorien_Voclain> The one I told you about in the letters

<Gen> Oh... I remember her vaguely, from one of your letters.

  • Gen nods.

<Dorien_Voclain> I shouldn't have done that...

<Gen> No, probably not.

<Dorien_Voclain> Just... seeing her here...

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent, from your vantage point, you can see that Charlen has his hand on her arm, not in a nice romantic way. She looks upset now.

  • Gen nods.

<Dorien_Voclain> Sorry. I didn't mean to cause a scene. I don't even know what I was thinking...

<Gen> It's okay to feel upset. I'm guessing you two didn't part in the best circumstances.

<Dorien_Voclain> No.

<Argent> (do I think it will turn violent, if so I will intervene)

<Dorien_Voclain> She left me right after my... after the accident.

<DiablotinNarrator> (not violent here, anyway... he seems reluctant to make a big scene. who knows about after they leave, though)

<Gen> That sucks.

  • Gen will hesitantly put her arm around Dorien's shoulders and give him a supportive half-hug.

<Dorien_Voclain> Yeah.

  • Dorien_Voclain will lean into the hug

<Dorien_Voclain> thanks.

  • Emelinda seems like she is trying to get up to leave, and he's not having it yet - insisting she stay to keep talking or something, it looks like?

<Gen> But you know, maybe she wouldn't have been the best person for you anyway, if she'd cut her losses and run at the first sign of trouble.

<Gen> I mean, in the long run.

  • Argent will get two more glasses of wine and head over to the table

<DiablotinNarrator> okay, you can do that

<Gen> But I understand being hurt by her rejection.

<Dorien_Voclain> I don't know. We were good together. I thought... I thought she really understood me, you know? And then when things went bad... she just couldn't handle it.

<Argent> I'm sorry for the mess Dorien caused, he was just filling in while I stepped away for a bit.

  • Gen gives him another squeeze since he didn't object or pull away from her when she put her arm around him.

<Charlen> It's fine.

  • Charlen says stiffly, rather red in the face.

<Emelinda> No.

<Emelinda> It's not fine.

  • Emelinda jerks her arm away from him and stands up.
  • Dorien_Voclain seems to be a bit calmer after talking to you, Gen :)
  • Gen will stick with him a bit longer if he seems to need it.

<Emelinda> I'm leaving, and you're not coming with me. I need ... time to think.

<Emelinda> .. And this was a really terrible date.

  • Emelinda adds before she leaves him sitting there.

<Argent> I take it I should cancel your order with the kitchen. You wouldnt recognize the inquistion ill get over it.

  • Argent says to Charlen
  • Charlen fumes
  • Charlen is gonna sit there, dammit, and eat his duck + an extra salad :p
  • Argent shrugs whatever

Solos

Argent and Lathra discuss Shadar-kai beliefs

  • Argent and Lathra are enjoying a conversation and a coffee at a small cafe

<Argent> As to what I fill my day with, other than waiting tables, these days it's mostly just getting familiar with the city again and catching up with friends. I've been away for almost two years and I've only been back for a couple of months. It feels different than when I left," he muses.

<Argent> Have you been in the city long?

<Lathra> Oh, a few years now. It's really flown by.

<Lathra> The first year was the slowest, when I didn't know anybody.

<Argent> I can imagine

<Argent> If its not too personal, what made you decide to come?

<Lathra> It's a little personal, good man, but I don't mind.

  • Lathra smiles cheerfully

<Argent> I've been told I can be a little overly curious at times.

<Lathra> It's been my experience that being too curious can get one in trouble. But as somebody that's not afraid to share, I admit that I rather enjoy the company of curious people - they tend to have good stories to tell.

<Argent> at least we do like to hear good stories

<Lathra> But anyway, I really came here to see what form the faith of Serpent took in the color plane, and if there wasn't a better way for me to serve, here.

<Argent> you make it sound like the Serpent isn't especially favored in the shadow plane.

<Lathra> That's... not what I meant, but there's a grain of truth in it.

<Argent> How does that work out? I don't really know much about that faith myself. The nuns that raised me were of The Wheel.

<Lathra> Eldest has long been a controversial figure in our history. There are many who are skeptical that his return is in our best interests.

<Argent> Eldest? A more formal name for the Serpent? Obviously you dont share that skepticism.

<Lathra> The worship of Vrag is a practical faith; even among priests we accept that there are dangers.

<Lathra> But I feel that the Serpent enriches our lives, and shows us a way to live and be true to ourselves in the real, dangerous world.

<Argent> Dangerous?

<Argent> I know that the streets can be dangerous, but I dont think thats what your talking aobut.

<Lathra> Are you asking me about the dangers of the Serpent, or of the world?

<Lathra> Surely your life has not been so charmed as to be oblivious to all the dangers we face in life, M. Lundi?

  • Lathra asks cheekily

<Argent> you made it sound so ominous... the real dangerous world...

<Argent> I've know plenty of dangers in my life so far.

  • Argent closes his eyes for a second

<Argent> Are there really dangers from the Serpent? You're a follower and you don't come across as dangerous.

  • Argent smiles and teases

<Lathra> From me? Oh my, no. But there are rituals that come with a risk, or a price.

<Lathra> I suppose it's not really a topic easily covered in a cafe, but Vrag is a very primal god, with motivations that are hard to interpret. Serpent represents balance, both creation and destruction, and many would prefer not to engage in fear of encountering the latter.

<Argent> People still do though... I guess all those risky rituals are not manditory?

<Lathra> Not at all.

<Argent> how risky are you?

<Lathra> Oh, barely. It sounds like you've risked far more, with your plentiful dangerous exploits!

<Argent> I ran the streets when I was younger, it was fun at the time, but I wouldn't call them "dangerous expliots".

<Lathra> What does that mean, "ran the streets"?

<Argent> you'll think less of me, and its not like it was a secret, but I was in a gang in the Shambles.

<Argent> We did a lot of stupid stuff, mostly just petty theft.

<Argent> Got into some fights

<Lathra> Why would I think less of you? The adventure, the cameraderie... doing stupid things is what youth is for.

<Argent> I guess so

<Argent> Were you a terror when you were younger?

<Lathra> Oh, absolutely. Of course, from my perspective it was all very unfair and my parents just didn't understand. Who's to say who was right?

  • Argent smiles

<Argent> I bet everyone said they were right

<Lathra> Oh, not everyone. Just everyone who got to make real decisions.

  • Lathra grins

<Lathra> Well, it's been enchanting to get to know you, Argent, but I must be off. Shall we do this again some time?

<Argent> yeah, I think that would be good

Denise pays Argent a visit

  • Denise will stop by in the afternoon a day or so later

<Denise> HellooOOOOO?

  • Argent will open the door

<Denise> hey :D

<Argent> its just me girl

  • Denise wanders in

<Denise> that's cool

<Denise> not busy, are you?

<Argent> not really, was just readin something.

<Argent> Dorien's been in a bad mood all day so I kicked him out.

  • Denise makes a face

<Denise> heh, fair enough

<Argent> well more like encouraged to be pissy somewhere else.

<Denise> I didn't thikn old people got that sulky :p

<Denise> older

  • Argent shrugs

<Denise> anyway that's probably better

<Denise> guess what i did! :D

  • Argent gives Denise a pondering look

<Argent> hmmmm

<Argent> got in a fight?

  • Denise plonks down on your most comfy looking piece of furniture

<Denise> Kinda, yep :D

<Denise> guess wheeeeeeere :D :D

<Argent> well that's trickier...

<Argent> not at the club, I would have heard about that already...

<Denise> nope :D

<Denise> not supposed to get in fights there unless I gotta >.>

<Argent> can't be the street, since you wouldn't askin me to guess...

<Denise> maybe

<Denise> depends on which street

  • Denise says innocently

<Argent> well now...

<Denise> but it weren't :3

<Denise> :D

  • Argent throws a cushion at her
  • Denise catches it and tosses it back

<Denise> give up?

<Argent> bar fight then?

<Denise> nope!

<Argent> ok, you got me... its not like it just happened and I can check ya for clues.

<Argent> or did it?

<Denise> So, like, I'm not supposed to go tellin *everyone* or nothin' but I know you'll understand right

<Denise> nope!

<Denise> it was a few nights ago

  • Argent nods

<Argent> ok spill

<Denise> in....

<Denise> the tunnels - under the River :D :D :D

<Argent> How was I gonna be able to guess that? Like wow, but come on.

<Denise> no but it were funny to watch you try ^-^

<Argent> why were you under the River and who were you fighting?

  • Argent will pull a chair closer all conspiratorial like

<Denise> well I was there for like.... work things. Movin' a thing >.>

<Denise> you know... work things >.>

<Denise> but it weren't a who - it was a WHAT!

<Denise> it was this big - like this big - zombie rat thing.

<Argent> a what?

  • Denise gives an only slightly exaggerated impression of the size

<Denise> a zombie rat - it was super gross!

<Denise> but I like... kicked it over and mashed in its head

<Denise> :D

<Argent> how do you know it was a zombie?

<Denise> 'cause it was all rotted and gross?

<Argent> maybe it was just diseased

<Denise> ...no

<Denise> like

<Denise> it had inside bits on the outside that were like.... green

<Argent> ok so it was a zombie rat and you kicked its gross little butt

<Denise> yes :D

<Denise> isn't that cool?

<Argent> yeah it is

<Argent> and the tunnels are better off with one less zombie

<Denise> See i knew you'd understand! Mireva coudln't get over the 'gross' part ;p

<Denise> yup

<Argent> its not like you could take it home as a pet.

  • Denise makes a face

<Denise> no

<Denise> I don't wanna think about what you'd have to feed it ;p

<Argent> zombie refuse

<Argent> I don't know

<Denise> eww

<Denise> Mikel's gota rat now though

<Denise> not a dead one

<Argent> it might have eaten that

<Denise> I don't think that Mickey's have been real happy about that >.>

<Denise> but yeah

  • Argent chuckles

<Argent> its been a while since ive been near any tunnels

<Denise> there were like - really realy old ones

<Denise> I'd never been in 'em before

<Argent> who knows what else you could find down in them

  • Argent muses

<Denise> all kinda stuff, I hear

<Denise> other weird shit too

<Denise> the rat's all I seen though

<Argent> thats good and bad I guess

<Argent> nothing that exciting has happened in my life

<Argent> a good fight might be fun for a change

  • Argent shrugs

<Denise> :/

<Denise> is it okay, bein' a waiter?

<Denise> I mean

<Denise> Mayeb as I could get you a job doin' somethin' else, if you wanted >.>

<Argent> Waiting is a job, sometimes the tips are good, and it keeps me with a roof over my head.

<Argent> thanks for thinkin' of me, but I'm not that bored yet that I'm looking for somethin' else full time.

<Denise> alright

  • Denise shrugs

<Argent> I could help with the odd job here or there, if you need another set of eyes

<Denise> you just lemme know ^-^

<Denise> I'll see what Ander says

<Denise> he knows you from the club at least though

<Argent> you like workin for him?

<Denise> I do!

<Denise> Ain't a whole lot to do, most of the time, just hag out with him 'n ralf

<Denise> I'm mostly there liek - just in case, ya know?

<Denise> but then sometimes I'm off un the undercity fightin' zombie rats :D

<Denise> i mean the rat weren't part of the thing officially like, but it was still pretty cool just bein' down there

  • Argent nods in agreement

<Argent> like I said, odd job here and there i;d be up for to break the routine

<Denise> cool

<Denise> that should be fine

<Argent> so I should be wiating on you and askin if you want some tea or somethin like that.

<Argent> Do you?

<Argent> I think we have tea. I know we have coffee.

<Denise> oh, uh I like coffee :D

<Argent> when you grab tea in this house, you need to make sure its tea first

<Denise> yeah.... >.>

<Denise> I bet that's not a mistake you amke more'n once

  • Argent will hop up and head into the tiny kitchen

<Argent> nope

  • Argent agrees whole heartedly
  • Argent will bring out the drinks and chat a bit longer about old friends and such

<Denise> maybe somethimes by "mistake" though? >..

  • Denise will catch you up on all the gossip she knows :D

Hettienne hooks Serge-Yves up with a distributor

  • Serge-Yves will meet up with his pal and then head to Tits. He will avoid pre-drinking despite this being sailors out on the town, because SRS BZNS ;)

<Hettienne> (hee)

  • Vairon is indeed a cutie, as described by S-Y
  • Vairon also seems a bit wired on ... something. Maybe just 'excitement of being in Diablotin', maybe something else.

<Vairon> Hey, hi, you're Serge-Yves's sister? It's great to meet you!

  • Hettienne meets up with them at the bar during a break between sets.
  • Vairon says when you join them

<Hettienne> Evenin'.

  • Hettienne says with a little grin, holding out her hand to shake.

<Hettienne> You must be Vairon...

<Vairon> Yeah, that's me :D This place is swell, you work here?

  • Vairon is certainly... energetic.

<Hettienne> Yeah.

  • Hettienne shoots Serge-Yves a look.
  • Serge-Yves sort of shrugs, smiling

<Serge-Yves> Shore leave.

  • Serge-Yves says by way of explanation.

<Hettienne> Uh-huh.

<Serge-Yves> I won't let him do the talking.

<Serge-Yves> You hear that, mouthy?

<Hettienne> Well, alright...these folk can be a little prickly, you get me?

  • Serge-Yves tells him mock-sternly
  • Vairon makes a lip-zipping motion

<Hettienne> Mm-hmm. :|

<Hettienne> Right.

<Hettienne> You boys sit your keisters down here til I call you over.

<Vairon> Right, sure, of course.

<Serge-Yves> Vairon, shut it or I'll shut it for you, kay sweetie?

  • Hettienne knocks back the rest of her drink.

<Hettienne> What's this junk called again?

<Hettienne> And what's it do?

<Serge-Yves> Koa, that's what the folks we got it from called it anyway.

<Serge-Yves> and... well, look at him.

  • Serge-Yves says with a shrug

<Serge-Yves> Feels good, but kinda crazy-good? Hyper. When I took it that once, I felt like I could do just about anything, so it's good some friends were there to remind me I couldn't.

<Hettienne> That what you're flyin' on?

  • Hettienne asks Vairon.
  • Vairon nods brightly

<Hettienne> Whaddaya, drink it, shoot it, smoke it?

<Serge-Yves> Chew it - comes in kinda little chunks, like sap from a tree, which I'm guessin' is more or less what it is.

  • Hettienne grimaces.

<Hettienne> Ugh. Right.

<Hettienne> Right. I'm off. Stay here.

  • Vairon gets up for a second to follow you, until Serge-Yves drags him back

<Hettienne> <rat> and I hope your mother tongue ain't too rusty!

<Serge-Yves> heh

<Serge-Yves> <rat> I'll manage

  • Hettienne puts on her hard face and makes her way over to Ander's table.
  • Ander and Ralf are sitting with a couple of drinks - Denise isn't around by now.

<Hettienne> <r> Evenin'.

<Ander> <r> Hello there, Miss Hettie.

  • Ander says politely, with a nod

<Hettienne> (how well do we know each other? I'm not clear on that)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I assume he knows you because you're Denise's aunt, and probably also by your prior reputation?)

<Hettienne> <r>So you know who I am... good.

  • Hettienne flashes her crooked grin.

<DiablotinNarrator> (I don't know if you would have had any reason to deal with him before, but he's sort of a known guy in the community - rat as well as criminal ;)

<Ander> Sure, have a seat. Can I buy you a drink?

<Ander> (I'll assume everything is in rat from here on unless we specify otherwise?)

<Hettienne> Don't mind if I do...

<Hettienne> (sounds good)

<Ander> What's your poison?

<Hettienne> Tonight, gin and tonic.

  • Ander sends Ralf off to get you that, then

<Ander> You here to talk about your niece?

<Hettienne> So. I'm a gal who don't like to bandy words around.

  • Ander guesses

<Hettienne> Not exactly.

<Hettienne> It's more business.

<Ander> oh?

  • Ander looks intrigued at that

<Hettienne> But it's business I want her kept out of, you feel me?

<Ander> Sure, I get your drift.

<Hettienne> Right.

<Hettienne> Well. My little brother, he's a travellin' man, see.

<Hettienne> And in his travels, he's come across somethin your lot might be keen to get their hands on.

<Ander> What might that be?

<Hettienne> Might be it's the next thing, chemically speakin'.

<Ander> hmm.

<Hettienne> Comes from out west.

<Hettienne> Real far west.

<Ander> I take it you don't mean Ariege.

  • Hettienne grin-smirks again.

<Hettienne> The locals there call it koa.

<Ander> what's it do?

<Hettienne> Well, I'm told it's the kinda thing that makes you feel invincible.

<Ander> Some folk do tend to like that.

<Ander> Those folk end up dead, sometimes.

<Hettienne> Most folk do.

<Ander> Unless it really *does* make you invicible ;)

<Hettienne> They say it feels crazy good.

  • Ander nods

<Hettienne> But I think you know this ain't really my bag, so you'll have to talk to my bro and his partner if you want to know more... They got a supply, but no distribution network.

<Ander> What's their supply like? Steady?

<Hettienne> Well. It ain't like goin' across the street for a bottle o' milk.

<Hettienne> But it ain't gonna run out anytime soon neither.

<Ander> So... this stuff'd be top-drawer kinda shit, charge a lot for it?

<Hettienne> That's the idea.

<Hettienne> Exotic like.

  • Ander considers, as Ralf brings back your drink and offers it to you, sitting down again

<Ander> Tell you what.

<Hettienne> Thanks, you're a doll.

  • Hettienne winks at him.
  • Ralf gives a grimace-smile back - his scar makes all his smiles look like that, though

<Ander> Get me a sample, I'll talk to my people and see what kind of offer we might be able to make. We got the network, obviously, if this is as good as you say.

<Ander> What kind of cut you lookin' for?

<Hettienne> Let me call Serge-Yves over.

  • Ander nods

<Hettienne> (can I make a k! local or some kind of roll to guess at what would be appropriate to ask for?)

  • Hettienne waves at her brother.

<Ralf> (sure)

  • Serge-Yves will come on over, clearly making Vairon stay back

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+6

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 19 ].

<Ralf> (you could probably ask for...25 or 30% without annoying them. 40-50% if you wanna push your luck.)

<Hettienne> We were thinkin' 35.

<Serge-Yves> Hello there sir.

  • Serge-Yves says politely

<Ander> You're the one with the connection, then?

<Serge-Yves> That's right... If it goes over well, we could get more, but it'll take a bit to arrange.

  • Ander gestures for him to have a seat too, so he does

<Ander> This shit, it aint' illegal? yet, anyway?

<Serge-Yves> Sure, nobody who'd wanna make it illegal knows about it yet.

  • Ander nods

<Ander> So as long as we keep it that way, it's pretty low-risk.

<Ander> I'll take your offer - and a sample - back to my people, and we'll see what comes of it.

<Ander> But I think we can do business here.

  • Ander offers his hand to shake to each of you
  • Hettienne shakes it with a firm grip.

<Serge-Yves> I can get you that sample now, if you wanted.

<Ander> Sure, why not

<Ander> as long as it ain't come in a huge vat or somethin'

<Serge-Yves> Nah, it's nice an' portable

  • Serge-Yves digs into his pocket and gets out a little piece of paper wrapped around something about the size of a pea, hands it to Ander
  • Ander tucks that way out of sight, inside his jacket

<Ander> Whadya do with it?

<Serge-Yves> Chew it, like gum, or chewin' tobacco. When it doesn't taste of anything anymore, it's done, you can just spit it out.

  • Ander nods

<Ander> How long's it last?

<Serge-Yves> a couple hours?

<Ander> Anything bad when you're comin' off it?

<Serge-Yves> Just tired... at least, that's all I've seen. Burns up a lot of energy.

<Ander> Okay.

  • Hettienne lets Serge-Yves talk up the product :p

<Ander> I'll check into it, get back to you - can I send a message through you, Hettie, when I've got an answer?

<Hettienne> Alright.

<Hettienne> I'm here most every night; you know where to find me.

  • Ander nods

<Ander> You two have a good evening, then, and I'll talk to you soon.

<Hettienne> Good talkin' to ya.

<Serge-Yves> Thanks.