Diablotin 3 session 29

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 29 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: February 7, 2016
Diablotin date: Mid Fourth-month

Prologue

<DiablotinNarrator> It is partway through Fourth-month, and the unseasonable weather is fluctuating unpredictably. Spellcasters attempt to control the weather, resulting in spring-like periods interspersed with the cold of winter again when you leave the area of their magical effect, or when the spell ends.

<DiablotinNarrator> For those of you who pay attention to such things, there is some action happening around the strange trees in the Shade, however, that might presage some greater plans on the part of the government and the military.

<DiablotinNarrator> The trees have been under guard for some time, but now the number of guards has increased, as though an attack is anticipated (or perhaps has already begun).

<DiablotinNarrator> What precisely is going on there is a matter for speculation... which the papers of course engage in wildly.

Dorien and Aubrienne get a lead on fairy fungi from Cora

<DiablotinNarrator> Dorien, you have been continuing off and on with your experiments on the strange fungal samples and clippings people keep bringing you.

<Dorien> (Indeed)

<DiablotinNarrator> Late one night, you are about to head to bed, but you check on your experiments one last time, and find something interesting.

<Dorien> o.O

<DiablotinNarrator> You've managed to kill one of the fungal growths.

<Dorien> Huh.

<Dorien> (With what?)

<DiablotinNarrator> Checking your notes, you find that it was a solution that included a mixture of iron and a solution you created from some of the tree sap sample you took from the experimental lab.

<Dorien> Oh. OH. Oooooooooh...

<Dorien> Sunovabitch.

<DiablotinNarrator> Now, what effect this solution might have on a creature infected with the fungus is ... as yet unclear, but it seems to have a definite negative effect on the fungus itself.

<Dorien> (Does it appear to work topically? Like on contact?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you had it sitting in a solution - you're not really sure quite how quickly it worked, you'd have to do some further tests)

  • Dorien will call Misery and tell her about it and then start running those further tests.

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay

<DiablotinNarrator> As a result, you're up much later than you probably should be...

<Dorien> >.>

<DiablotinNarrator> (skipping around slightly)

<Dorien> (Likely, yes)

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, you get a message from Cora, asking you to meet her again

<Aubrienne> Did she specify a place?

<DiablotinNarrator> At the same cafe as before

<Aubrienne> The I suppose I will ask if she's willing to meet with my 'associate' and vice versa.

<DiablotinNarrator> Yes, she's willing to meet with your associate as well as you

<Aubrienne> i.e. Dorien, can I buy you lunch?

<Dorien> Sure?

<Dorien> There are two things I never say no to, and one is free food.

  • Aubrienne will then take Dorien with her to meet Cora.
  • Cora has her baby with her again, although he's awake and looking around this time

<Aubrienne> Cora! How are you? And hello, little Boden.

  • Aubrienne will make Prestidigitate some sparkly lights to entertain the baby.

<Cora> Hello... I'm all right. Although somewhat troubled.

  • Cora smiles at that

<Aubrienne> I'm sorry to hear that.

<Cora> So... this is your associate?

<Aubrienne> This is my associate, Dorien Voclain. Dorien, Cora of Gouge, my brother's former commander.

<Dorien> Of a sort. Dorien Voclain. Pleasure to meet you, Mme.

<Cora> It's good to meet you.

<Cora> I hope you don't mind if I inquire a little further... how exactly you came to be involved in this?

<Dorien> It's... complicated, really. I'm an alchemist by trade and my cousin has a former associate who works at the farm... lots of interesting coincidences all around.

<Dorien> Suffice to say I ended up there briefly and noticed some strange things.

  • Cora nods

<Cora> Well, it does certainly seem like there are strange things going on there.

<Aubrienne> Something to be concerned about? You mentioned being troubled...

<Dorien> There's something I should probably tell both of you before we go much further. I ran some experiments that might shed new light on things.

<Dorien> I found the other night that an extract of the substance I found on the farm, when combined with dissolved iron, is actually fairly effective at destroying the fungus we saw in the shade. I think they may be researching how to destroy it.

<Aubrienne> Well, that's a good thing, right?

<Dorien> Certainly better than some of the alternatives.

<Cora> Well, that might make sense with some of the things I was able to learn

<Cora> I was able to find out a little more, at least - please don't ask me to reveal my source, but I have friends and family who are highly placed in the military.

<Dorien> Of course. As far as I'm concerned we never had this discussion.

  • Cora nods

<Cora> I was able to learn the name of the researcher who is in charge of the facility you spoke of. Her name is Veronise Calondre.

<Cora> This ... was distressing to me, because I've met her before.

<Dorien> (Does that ring any bells?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (um... I'm just checking whether it should for you ;)

<DiablotinNarrator> (no I don't think you've ever heard that name, either of you)

<Dorien> (k)

<Aubrienne> Who is she?

<Aubrienne> And why is her involvement concerning?

<Cora> She's a scholar, I suppose... I don't really know a lot about her background. I met her during the war, when I was stationed at Seda Grove.

<Aubrienne> It's never good when that place comes up.

<Cora> She was part of a small team of researchers who were dispatched to study the tree there.

<Cora> They did .. something to it.

<Aubrienne> Something other than burn it to the ground?

<Cora> That was after.

<Aubrienne> Okay.

<Cora> I don't know the technical details of what they did. I know that in our briefing, we were told they had neutralized its threat.

<Dorien> Seems like that didn't take so well.

<Aubrienne> That's both pleasantly euphemistic and disturbingly ominous.

  • Cora shrugs

<Cora> After that, it was decided to burn it.

<Cora> But if she took samples of it, or was studying it, it's entirely likely that whatever she's doing now is related to that somehow.

<Aubrienne> If that's the case, it doesn't quite sound like trying to stop things.

<Cora> I don't know. I mean, they did... neutralize it. in some way.

<Dorien> Do you have any idea at all what they did to it?

<Cora> I wasn't there to watch while they did it. The soldiers who were dispatched with them as security.... none of them are around to talk about it now.

<Cora> I didn't think about that until all of this, because people died in the war... people died at Seda Grove. But all of them... I don't know, but I don't like those odds.

<Aubrienne> Just to clarify, when you say they're not around...?

<Cora> I mean they're dead.

<Dorien> Well, this just went from ominous to full on fucked.

  • Dorien looks at the baby.

<Dorien> Oh. Sorry.

<Aubrienne> Dorien!

<Aubrienne> I suppose it's not like he'll remember, but still.

<Cora> He's heard worse.

<Aubrienne> Fair enough.

<Aubrienne> Do you remember anyone else who was with her team? Was she the commanding officer?

<Cora> I have the names of the other researchers who were there. I don't know if it's helpful. She wasn't the one in charge - actually she was the youngest.

<Dorien> Who was in charge?

<Cora> There was a woman named Suzetta Claar, and a man named Clarence Molniere. I think Claar was the one in charge.

<Dorien> (I'm guessing neither of those mean anything to me?)

<Cora> (no, not particularly... Claar is a Lizard noble family, so probably she's a noble? but beyond that, no)

<Dorien> (k)

<Aubrienne> I have something of a strange question, or, at the very least, differently strange.

<Cora> all right, I can try to answer it

<Aubrienne> What do you think is the proper way to handle this? We don't have your official military experience, and I'm just curious if there's some avenue of redress for, let's say, 'improper activities' that we civilians just don't know about.

<Aubrienne> My instinct is to go to someone in the government, but now I have no idea who to trust in that capacity.

<Cora> I don't know if this is what they would consider improper. The deaths could be coincidental... and anyway they already had a tribunal over Seda Grove.

<Aubrienne> I guess sinister and illegal aren't the same thing.

<Aubrienne> It's still concerning.

<Cora> But I'm in the Order of the Spoke... there are people in my order I trust.

<Aubrienne> Do you think this whole situation bears further investigation?

<Cora> I think the whole situation is still ongoing. Whatever they did there, it's still playing out.

<Cora> So yes... it probably does. But I don't know if I'm the right person to do it.

<Aubrienne> Is there someone you could put us in contact with? You've already done more than I can repay...

<Cora> put you in contact with to do what?

<Aubrienne> If you don't feel comfortable continuing the investigation, but you feel others might be up to it, we'd like to assist, at the very least.

<Cora> I'm willing to try and talk to some more contacts... Boden's father, for one, might have some thoughts. But I don't want to put my son at risk over this.

<Aubrienne> I understand.

<Dorien> Of course.

<Cora> I ... I guess if you want to escalate this up the chain, you could talk to Danyel de Béziers, or Ramon Lozada.

<Cora> I trust both of them.

<Dorien> We appreciate what you've already done

<Aubrienne> And we will do everything we can to keep this from coming back on you.

<Cora> Thank you.

<Aubrienne> Thank you for all of your help. If there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask.

  • Aubrienne will make more lights for Boden.

<Cora> All right :)

<Dorien> It was a pleasure meeting you.

<Aubrienne> If nothing else, I'm a pretty good babysitter. :)

  • Cora smiles at that

<Cora> It was good to meet you too.

  • Cora will take her leave, then.

<Aubrienne> Well, shit, and here I was hoping whatever she had to say might dissuade you.

<Aubrienne> Now it's just worse.

<Dorien> Heh. Well, it's bad in a different way at least. I know de Beziers. Or at least my father does. I played checkers with his sons at their house once when I was young. Strange kids.

<Dorien> So what's our move? I feel completely out of my pay grade here.

<Aubrienne> Likewise.

<Aubrienne> She got us a name, at least.

<Aubrienne> It's something we might be able to follow up on.

<Dorien> Yeah. It didn't mean anything to me, but maybe some of your brother's or my cousin's army contacts might know more.

<Aubrienne> And, while Cora seemed concerned about her, it still seems like it might just be combating the fungus.

<Aubrienne> Though the Seda Grove connection makes me nervous.

<Dorien> Well, at least we probably won't have to break into a secured government laboratory anytime soon. Probably.

<Aubrienne> Have you been reading about the bigger patrols in the Shade?

<Aubrienne> Some people are saying it means they're about to do something with them, and if this is related...things didn't go well last time they dealt with things like this.

<Dorien> Reading, hell. I've been by there several times. They're starting to clamp down fierce

<Dorien> That's what I'm afraid of.

<Aubrienne> I wasn't sure if you'd been by. I know Misery stays at your place most nights...

<Dorien> Yeah, well...

<Dorien> >.>

<Dorien> I walk her back sometimes

<Aubrienne> How're things going by the way?

<Aubrienne> I've got enough scary in my life. Please tell me some happy.

<Dorien> Good. Real good. She's amazing. I don't know what I ever did to deserve it, but she's the best thing to happen to me in a long time.

<Aubrienne> That's nice, Dor. Glad to hear it.

<Aubrienne> Hopefully we won't all be murdered by fey. :)

<Dorien> And it looks like we finally got the business with Puce resolved. At least for now. A few months ago I didn't think things would ever be this good again.

<Aubrienne> Don't talk like that; you'll jinx it.

<Dorien> Heh

<Dorien> What about you, hot stuff? How're things in your life?

<Aubrienne> Peachy keen. My brother is alive...and under near constant observation. I'm apparently embroiled in some kind of government machinations. The fey might attack anyone at any time...

<Aubrienne> Work is good.

<Dorien> Well, at least you're not bored.

<Aubrienne> Never that.

<Dorien> Any sweet young ladies in your life lately?

<Aubrienne> I helped set Cassie up with someone. :)

<Dorien> hah! Who?

<Aubrienne> Ysabel Olivier. She's sweet, and hopefully more what Cassie is looking for.

  • Dorien will give you a sympathetic half smile.

<Dorien> So still a freelancer, then?

<Aubrienne> You know me, Dor. I don't like to be tied down. Well, not metaphorically...

<Dorien> Well, if you ever want to be literally, Misery knows some neat tricks.

<Aubrienne> And I'm sure she'd sure appreciate you offering her up like that. :p

  • Dorien grins.

<Dorien> One of these days you're gonna call my bluff and I'm gonna have to admit that I'm all bluster ;)

<Aubrienne> I don't need to call your bluff to know that.

<Aubrienne> I do what I do; I know misdirection when I see it.

<Dorien> Speaking of what you do, how're things at the cabaret?

<Aubrienne> Fine enough. Zola's still got her big show in the works. To be honest, I've kind of been going through the motions there, what with everything else going on.

<Aubrienne> How're things with your new job? Hopefully less exciting than your old work?

<Dorien> Yeah. It's kind of boring, but... in a good way. And I'm doing actual research, so it's actually better than I thought it would be.

<Dorien> I feel like... like I'm kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop. Maybe that's why I'm so worried about this government stuff.

  • Aubrienne will reach across the table and smack you upside the head.

<Aubrienne> Dor, let yourself be happy.

<Dorien> Ow.

<Dorien> I don't know... it's just been so long since I have been, you know?

<Dorien> It's like I forgot how.

<Aubrienne> Server? Two drinks?

<Aubrienne> Dorien, only for you would Misery teach you happiness.

<Dorien> Hah

<Dorien> Don't think the irony is lost on me.

<Aubrienne> Good thing she likes company, I suppose. ;)

<Dorien> She smacks me whenever I tell her that.

<Aubrienne> Hopefully in a good way.

<Dorien> Very much so.

<Dorien> Speaking of which, can I ask you something and not have you hit me?

<Aubrienne> I'm not sure I can promise that.

<Dorien> Fair enough.

<Dorien> I know this may be a bit hypocritical coming from me, and it might be none of my business... but how are things going with you and your... recreational activities. I kinda... worry about you sometimes.

<Aubrienne> What're you talking about?

<Dorien> Drugs, Bri.

<Dorien> I just... I don't even know, I just want to make sure you're ok.

<Aubrienne> Do I seem not okay to you?

<Aubrienne> Has someone said something?

<Dorien> No, nothing like that. You seem fine, but... nevermind, forget I asked. It was stupid.

<Aubrienne> I show up to work, I take care of parents, I do my best for my brother, I'm looking into this stuff with you, I'm...

<Aubrienne> I like to relax, Dor. Gods, I think I've earned it.

<Dorien> Ok, ok... sorry.

<Aubrienne> Why bring this up now?

<Dorien> I don't know. I'm sorry. I'm just trying to look out for you is all. You're... hell, you're probably the best friend I have right now.

<Aubrienne> Aww, Dor.

<Aubrienne> That's kind of sad. ;)

<Dorien> Hey, there's much worse friends to have. ;)

<Aubrienne> I won't argue that.

<Aubrienne> I appreciate the concern, Dor, I do, but I'm okay.

<Dorien> Just... promise me you're being careful. Not all dealers have my sense of quality control.

<Aubrienne> I have a...reliable source.

<Dorien> Ok. I trust your judgement. Hell, you hang out with me.

<Aubrienne> Is it rude to say I think I've classed up on dealers at this point?

<Aubrienne> I mean, let's be honest, that's work you were never meant for.

<Dorien> Hah

<Aubrienne> While I appreciate your talents, it was more of a necessity than a calling.

<Dorien> Well, I admit I was never a good dealer. Maker, sure. Great at that. Sucky dealer, though.

<Dorien> Too much talking to people.

<Aubrienne> Best leave that to the professionals.

Denise asks Hettienne about family in Ariège

  • Denise will talk to you over 'breakfast' one morning that it is just us woyhout additional partners
  • Hettienne huddles over coffee @_@
  • Denise passes you some eggs and toast to go with

<Hettienne> THanks, honey.

  • Denise smiles

<Hettienne> What am I gonna do without you? :p

<Denise> I dunno

<Hettienne> I'll be 10 pounds lighter when you get back, I reckon

<Denise> but I told you I'm goin' to Ariege for a bit right?

<Denise> heh

<Hettienne> Or I'll be livin' on pastry and big as a house.

<Denise> I thought you meant after I'm gone gone and you got the baby :3

<Hettienne> Oy.

<Hettienne> I'm gonna have to step up somehow; I hear babies don't do so good on black coffee.

<Hettienne> Any idea how long you're goin' for?

<Denise> Knowin' you that's what'll come out when hyou feed it, hyeah ;p

<Denise> um, I ain't right sure

<Denise> maybe a week?

  • Hettienne nods.

<Hettienne> You know yer gram's folks were from there, right?

<Denise> I think it depends on things like how long it takes to check folks out an stuff, plus I think the Boss wants to just take some time for just bein' Away, you know?

<Denise> un huh

<Denise> I was gonna ask about that

<Denise> enver's mam's folks were maybe from up that way too, so we thought maybe we could both look an see what we got for family, if anyone, up there

<Hettienne> Lapierres.

  • Denise nods

<Hettienne> I never met 'em.

<Hettienne> I got the impression they weren't close with Mam.

<Denise> *nod*

<Denise> You think her folks would still be around?

<Hettienne> She never talked much 'bout 'em...

<Hettienne> Well, she weren't that old when she had Pat. So her folks... yeah, they could still be there.

<Denise> Gosh... I were thinkin maybe liks if she had some brothers or sisters or they had kids or somethin'

<Hettienne> Her pa was called Montcalm, I think? I 'member 'cause it wasn't a real common name.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> what shouod I say if they are there?

<Hettienne> I don't even know if they knew when she passed.

<Denise> an I can find 'em?

  • Hettienne says sadly.

<Hettienne> Da' tried to send a message, but that ain't real reliable, you know? So maybe they never got it. That's what you wanna think, 'cause the other is that they just didn't wanna come.

<Hettienne> If you wanna try, you fill your boots, girl.

<Hettienne> I guess I'd wanna know... if they wanna know us, or what.

<Hettienne> What happened between them an' Mam.

  • Denise nods

<Hettienne> I dunno.

<Denise> okay

<Denise> well, if I do find somethin', I'll for sure wtewll you once I'm home :3

<Hettienne> Thanks... I can't say I ain't wondered. Just never had a chance to get outta town.

<Hettienne> You know I ain't never been outside the city?

<Hettienne> Nycki an' me used to talk about Quevallon...

<Denise> huh

<Denise> she been there? For real? >.>

<Hettienne> Huh, who knows.

  • Hettienne laughs.

<Denise> I ain't never been much outta pearl or rhenea afore like, this past year

<Denise> goin' to a whole different city, I dunno :3

<Denise> we're takin' the train

<Hettienne> Sounds romantic :3

<Denise> I guess they got ocean out there, so as I can see what Serge Yves likes so much though :3

  • Hettienne sighs.

<Hettienne> Lucky girl.

<Denise> I dunno, goin' some place where I don't know no one and no places...

<Denise> well I'll be with folks, that'll be better

<Hettienne> BUt with her fella!

<Hettienne> (yer)

<Denise> yeah :)

<Hettienne> That's excitin'.

<Hettienne> Wish we had a camera I could send with ya.

<Denise> gosh, I'd prolly just break sometin' fancy like that

<Hettienne> Aw, don't be so hard onyerself ;)

<Denise> I could gte a post card though :)

<Denise> or maybe there's folks there do do pictures an we could get one done

<Hettienne> That'd be real swell :)

<Denise> like one of them fancy pictures that sometimes go in the papers when folks get engaged...

<Hettienne> Heh. Just a picture of the sea'd be nice...

<Denise> well for you, sure ^-^

<Hettienne> Oh. Oh, of course!

  • Hettienne laughs.

<Hettienne> Where's my brain...

<Denise> I just got thinkin' is all >.>

<Hettienne> Yeah, you oughtta! Treat yerself.

  • Denise smiles and will chatter about some of the places Zola told her about

Genevriel does her best to get herself killed, but is thwarted by Lathra

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - Gen, how are you doing?

<DiablotinNarrator> In the days following your most recent bender.

<Genevriel> (Gen is still on a bend, in all likelihood.)

<DiablotinNarrator> (do we have an Ian yet? I'm thinking Sylvise and Jerard might try to call in Lathra for help, if it continues past a day or two)

<Lathra> (Yeah I can do thing)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay cool)

  • Sylvise would explain the situation over the phone

<Sylvise> Ever since she testified at the trial, she's been drinking, and very distraught - trying to leave here, saying she's putting us in danger.

<Lathra> Oh dear! Do you know what danger she thinks she poses?

<Sylvise> I think she's afraid that because of her testimony, someone will try to retaliate against her.

<Sylvise> Whether this Larache himself, if he's acquitted, or some of his allies if he isn't.

<Lathra> Well we must make sure that she's safe and that you are, of course - has she been offered any form of protection for her testimony? I gather that's a thing that happens sometimes...

<Sylvise> Not that I know of.

<Lathra> Oh well regardless I must speak with her and make sure that she's well, and we can decide what to do from there.

<Sylvise> But I don't feel at all comfortable with her just running off to who knows where.

<Lathra> Yes indeed! Is she still with you at the moment?

<Sylvise> If there was someone else she was able to stay with, where she felt safer, and someone could keep an eye on her, I would ... I suppose I could accept that.

<Sylvise> Yes, she is... grudgingly.

<Sylvise> I had to shrink her >.>

<Lathra> I will come right... shrink her?

<Sylvise> Well, she was trying to leave, so I used a spell to reduce her size, and carried her back to her room >.>

<Sylvise> It's something I occasionally used on the children when they were obstinate >.>

<Sylvise> She's back to normal now, of course.

  • Lathra pinches the bridge of her nose, shakes her head and composes herself.

<Lathra> I'll come directly dear.

<Sylvise> Thank you very much.

<DiablotinNarrator> So you can head over to the Voclain's house and see how things are going there...

<Lathra> (Yup!)

<DiablotinNarrator> My impression is, not very good?

  • Genevriel has been spending most of her time in her room... and is probably in danger of losing her job, because she probably hasn't been in any condition to work.
  • Lathra knocks on the front door
  • Sylvise will show you in

<Sylvise> Thank you so much for coming... she's up in her room :/

<Lathra> Well thank you for calling me dear, I do hope I can help

  • Sylvise will go up to the room with you, and knock on the door

<Sylvise> Gen, dear, your friend Lathra is here to see you.

<Genevriel> Go 'way.

<Lathra> I gather you've been having rather a rough time dear, and I hoped I could come in and see you

<Genevriel> Not in'erested. Go 'way.

<Genevriel> (How much alcohol has Sylvise been willing to give me, I suppose I should ask?)

<Sylvise> (maybe like... a bottle a day? she wouldn't want to give you more than that, but if it'll keep you from running off...)

  • Genevriel isn't very good at rationing it, unfortunately.

<Lathra> It's ok dear I'll wait here for a bit

<Sylvise> maybe it would help if I went away? I think she's cross with me.

  • Sylvise will step away and leave you to it, then

<Lathra> I rather think it might, yes.

  • Lathra smiles to Sylvise
  • Lathra sits down against the door once Sylvise has gone.

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra, as you sit down, you can feel a cold draught from under the door - like perhaps the window inside is open.

<Lathra> Well I can at least keep you company from out here Gen dear

<Lathra> ...

<Lathra> Are you still there?

  • Lathra tries the door if an answer is not forthcoming

<Genevriel> !roll 1d20

  • Zola rolls for Genevriel: [ 1d20 ] getting [ 13 ].

<Genevriel> (you hear some noises as of someone stumbling about)

<Lathra> Hrm.

<Genevriel> (And then a few loud thumps, and then silence)

  • Lathra tries the door.

<Genevriel> !roll 3d6

  • Zola rolls for Genevriel: [ 3d6 ] getting [ 3 5 4 ] for a total of [ 12 ].

<Lathra> (Is the door locked or barred at all or can I just open it?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (is it locked, Gen?)

<Genevriel> (Probably I am too drunk to lock doors)

<Lathra> I'm coming in, dear, Sylvise isn't with me.

  • Lathra slips inside.

<Genevriel> (there is no Gen in evidence)

  • Lathra checks out the window, if it is indeed open
  • Genevriel is struggling to her feet in the snowy yard 3 stories down, but cries out when she puts her weight on her left foot.
  • Lathra makes another pained face

<Lathra> (is there a safe-ish way down for non-drunk people?)

<DiablotinNarrator> probably only by going back down the stairs and outside through the door

  • Genevriel lurches forward a few steps before falling to the ground and sobbing.
  • Genevriel then lays her hands on her ankle and prays.
  • Lathra will do that quickly and, if possible quietly

<DiablotinNarrator> sure, you can do that

  • Lathra hurries after Gen

<DiablotinNarrator> Gen, you can heal yourself - so a) you can roll for that and b) if you're trying to get away, you can go along your route, with Lathra following I guess

<Genevriel> !roll 1d8+6

  • Zola rolls for Genevriel: [ 1d8+6 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 11 ].

<Lathra> (If Gen gets out of sight I will cast Hunter's Lore)

  • Genevriel fixes her ankle and lurches off into the city.

<Genevriel> (My main goal is just to get lost, so... I have no idea where I'm going.)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I'm not sure what the Hunter's Lore is meant to do? identify Gen's weaknesses?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I think the answer is 'gin' ;)

<Genevriel> (Except that it's probably easiest to get lost in the Shambles, so that is probably where I am generally headed.)

<Lathra> (It makes me better at tracking and not have to slow down to track)

<Lathra> (So if she loses me I'll cast it to try and follow her)

<DiablotinNarrator> (am I reading a different Hunter's Lore? http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hunter-s-lore)

<Genevriel> (I'm probably not super steady on my feet so it would be hard to lose sight of me?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (oh I guess it's this one? http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/deadeye-s-lore ?)

<Lathra> (I was reading this one: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/deadeye-s-lore)

<Genevriel> (I can't really run very well while plastered... there would be a lot of stumbling, etc.)

<Lathra> (Which... yeah, IDK about that URL/title thing)

<Lathra> (Ok well maybe easier if I just catch up with her then?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (Yeah... I'll assume with Gen's general instability, plus your tracking bonus, you can follow her and track her down, maybe near the bridge or so)

<Lathra> (As Lathra catches up to Gen she makes no attempt to stop her, but instead walks alongside her, at Gen's pace.)

  • Genevriel is probably a little slow on the uptake, and then when she figures out what's going on, she is drunkenly annoyed.

<Genevriel> Go 'way!

<Lathra> Well I'm a bit worried that if I were to "go 'way" right now, you might catch your death of cold, dear. But I'm not going to stop you, or tell your family where you are unless that's what you want.

  • Genevriel lurches on a little further while her alcohol-addled mind tries to frame a response.

<Genevriel> Don' wan you, don' wan family, don' wan nuffin 'cep be left alone.

<Lathra> Yes dear and I'm fine with that, so long as we can leave you alone somewhere warm and safe, and maybe with a way you can reach us if you need help.

<Genevriel> Don' wan warm 'n safe.

<Lathra> Mm, well that's a little bit of a sticking point for me, especially as I'm given to understand that you are concerned for your safety and that of those around you?

<Genevriel> Don' wan'nymore people gettin' hurt. Don' wan feel anyfin anymore.

  • Genevriel continues lurching along with no particular destination in mind.

<Lathra> Both reasonable goals, if sadly unattainable. In my experience, people have a habit of getting hurt whether we're around them or not, and feeling things happens whether we're around people or not - we just get to feel a few more good things when around people, as well as the bad.

<Genevriel> Nuffin' to feel if not 'round anyfin anymore.

<Lathra> Well if you're talking simply about isolating yourself then I think that simply isn't true - you'll still have plenty to feel. And the people who care about you will certainly be hurt if you leave them.

<Genevriel> You don' unnerstan. 'M done.

<Lathra> Well I think I rather do understand but I was being a little obtuse in the hope that I was wrong. My point still stands about people being hurt, but I'm not unsympathetic to your wishes, dear. You are definitely living with circumstances that would sorely try the best of us.

  • Genevriel sort of smiles.

<Genevriel> So you'll go 'way?

<Lathra> Well that rather depends on what exactly you're planning to do. And if you are planning something dr... well I'll be direct. If you're planning to end your life, I'd prefer that you do it in the company of somebody who can help to ensure that you don't hurt yourself in the process.

<Genevriel> ...

<Genevriel> Got nuffin' to hurt m'self wif.

  • Genevriel spreads her hands to show she has no blades or anything, really.

<Genevriel> Be fine.

  • Genevriel smiles with bleary bravado.

<Genevriel> Few more drinks, 'n pass out in alley, all done.

<Genevriel> Nuffin' left for Larache to touch, nuffin sayin' you gotta talk to that boy, nuffin talkin' in my head.

<Genevriel> 'Sall good, see?

<Lathra> Well dear that's a frightfully inexact way of doing it, I'm afraid. What if somebody finds you and brings you inside, you're stuck with frostbitten limbs, maybe you can't talk or all sorts of other complications.

<Genevriel> Can' do it no... 'nyother way. Voices won' let me...

<Lathra> Are you saying this isn't the first time that you've tried? But that it's only when you're drunk that you can defy them?

<Genevriel> Killin's wrong, innit?

<Genevriel> (Lathra already knows that Gen drinks to try to block out the voices, from back when she first started trying to help me.  :) )

<Lathra> (Yeah)

<Lathra> Killing, dear? It's pretty clear to me that there are cases in which it isn't wrong, but as a general rule it's better to find other ways to resolve problems.

  • Genevriel is getting teary-eyed now.

<Genevriel> No, 's wrong. All life is sacred. When you harm even one, you harm us all. We are all one.

<Genevriel> Don' wanna be here, Lathra.

<Lathra> Yes, that much is very clear, Gen dear. I'll admit I'm a little lost in this conversation, how the killing factors in. Are we discussing your intent to end your life, or your past?

<Genevriel> 'Sall the same. We're all one. We are all one. We are all one. We are all one...

<Lathra> Are you hearing them again...?

  • Genevriel barely seems to hear you. She's just crying and repeating those four words over and over.
  • Lathra tries to take her hand
  • Genevriel is not in a position to resist.
  • Lathra squeezes her hand and waits
  • Genevriel just stands there and repeats those words, slowly growing colder and colder because she isn't wearing winter clothes.
  • Lathra looks around for a tavern or something that might be a better place to wait

<Lathra> (although I think we established that it's magically not-cold here, but it'd still be better to be off the street)

<Genevriel> (Julia said the Grand is magically warmer, but the Voclains are in the Pav, and Gen was moving towards the Shambles pretty steadily until she started getting teary-eyed)

  • Lathra guides Gen towards a restaurant, if she'll move

<Genevriel> (Gen will sort of stumble along in a fugue)

  • Lathra guides her into a restaurant, and talks to the staff about renting a private room for a little while while her friend gets over an episode.
  • Genevriel is probably pretty off-putting to the staff! ^-^
  • Genevriel comes out of her creepy state gradually, once the warmth and the light of the building register on her consciousness. She looks confused and is still crying.

<Genevriel> What...? How...?

<Lathra> What do you remember, dear? I'll start from there.

  • Genevriel struggles to pay attention to Lathra.
  • Lathra doesn't try to force it

<Genevriel> I don't want to be here, Lathra.

<Genevriel> I wish they'd let me die.

<Lathra> Well I don't know how much you remember of our other conversation, but if that's what you want we can make arrangements while you're sober. I can't just take your word for it while you're inebriated though.

  • Genevriel nods and seems to close further inwards on herself.

<Genevriel> Well. I guess you had better return me home, then.

  • Genevriel sounds hollow.

<Lathra> I... suppose so? I had rather hoped to get a clearer picture of what's happening to you, and to make arrangements to follow up. Your family don't have to know what happened if you don't want them to, but if you *do* want to talk to them about your plans I'd be happy to support you in that discussion.

<Lathra> Also if things are getting worse for you then maybe we should be less patient about trying to find a solution - I can make some calls if you're still open to trying?

<Genevriel> I don't have any plans.

<Genevriel> If you know someone who sells hope, by all means, give them a call.

<Lathra> Really? It rather seemed like you had a plan today, and that it's still your plan now...

<Genevriel> I don't have any plans.

  • Genevriel repeats.
  • Genevriel stands unsteadily and makes her way to the door with as much dignity as she can muster (which isn't much).
  • Lathra helps her home and to sneak back into the house if necessary
  • Genevriel isn't going to try to sneak into her aunt and uncle's home.
  • Genevriel is going through the main door and will go right up into her room and sleep.

Hugo argues with Drusilla about Raimond, Dasra, and impropriety

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo, you had agreed to try and have a friendly chat with Dasra's mother-in-law, Drusilla Neherin, the Countess of Berenbrock.

  • Hugonel dons his friendliest scarf, and a half-decent suit that doesn't look too much like I'm trying to seduce her son's wife

<Hugonel> (where does she live?)

  • Drusilla lives in a big fancy house in the Grand

<Hugonel> (I presume I will have made an appointment, then, not just drop by)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yes, that would be appropriate)

  • Hugonel will present himself at Drusilla's house, then.
  • Drusilla 's butler will show you into the parlour
  • Hugonel treats him with appropriate polite distance with a hint of scorn.
  • Drusilla is a short, rotund lady with curly white hair, although she can't be over 60

<Drusilla> M. Silveira.

  • Drusilla says politely but coldly.

<Hugonel> Lady Drusilla. A pleasure.

  • Hugonel smiles warmly.

<Hugonel> Thank you for agreeing to meet with me.

<Drusilla> Of course. How is your dear mother?

<Hugonel> Very well, thank you for asking.

<Drusilla> She is quite recovered from the chill?

<Hugonel> Yes, I believe so. Although the cold affects us all, and her perhaps more than most.

<Hugonel> And yourself, my lady? I trust you are well?

<Drusilla> No, indeed, I am quite beside myself with worry.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Hugonel> Raimond's condition concerns us all deeply.

<Drusilla> 'Us all'?

<Drusilla> you presume to include yourself in the same circle as his family?

<Hugonel> No, no, not at all! I beg pardon, I misspoke.

<Hugonel> I was speaking of those of us engaged in efforts to determine the cause of, and remediate, his condition.

  • Drusilla looks suspicious

<Drusilla> Is that what you're engaged in?

<Hugonel> Of course ... admittedly, I struggle with the ineluctable fact that I have not been able to do more.

<Drusilla> I should think that you, of all people, would have every reason to wish for my son's condition to continue to decline.

  • Hugonel frowns, then sighs slightly.

<Hugonel> I was afraid of this. I'm so sorry to have contributed to any misunderstanding.

<Hugonel> Perhaps I should have recused myself from the beginning, so as to avoid any appearance of impropriety.

<Drusilla> Appearance!

<Drusilla> What about the *actual* impropriety?

<Hugonel> Your ladyship?

  • Hugonel asks with as much surprise as he can muster.

<Drusilla> Your involvement with Raimond's wife.

<Drusilla> While he lies ill, helpless... you lure her into indiscretion.

<Hugonel> Madam, I can certainly see why one might think that, but that simply did not happen.

<Hugonel> My interest, regarding Dasra, is one of care and concern, yes. As anyone would be concerned for a long-ago love, now in such pain.

<Hugonel> But my interest, regarding Raimond, is to support the Imperial efforts to identify his condition and find some solution thereto.

<Drusilla> Is it. And how has that progressed?

  • Hugonel looks crestfallen.

<Hugonel> As you know, my lady, this is a difficult case.

<Drusilla> Yes. And there are experts who could be of far greater assistance to him, who have not so much as been consulted.

<Hugonel> I couldn't say about that. I do trust the Princess-Imperial to know that this is a matter of significance not only to the life of one man, but also to the security of the Empire.

<Drusilla> Surely the church ought to be involved - Reverend Mother Nydia could be of great assistance, I'm certain. And Mme. Claar, moreover, has told me that she believes Raimond can be cured.

<Hugonel> (have I ever heard of Mme. Claar?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (roll k:nob)

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+19

  • Zola rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+19 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 19 ] totals [ 36 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> (well, there are a number of Claars - they're a prominent Lizard noble family. Probably the only one who would be relevant in this, though, is Suzetta Claar, who is the daughter of the elderly count of Morterasch. She's a scholar, probably about 45 or so, who is one of the more powerful sorcerers in the empire as far as Hugo knows)

<DiablotinNarrator> (not Castalia or government-employed, independently wealthy and able to pursue her own research that way)

<Hugonel> (is she friendly with Loick, or not so much, to my knowledge?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (the opposite of friendly)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I think she thinks he's a dilettante and doesn't deserve his post)

<Hugonel> Lady Drusilla, I can of course take that recommendation to my dear uncle when I speak to him shortly.

<Drusilla> Your uncle... well. yes, certainly he should also have a recommendation, but he has obviously failed so far. My son's life is at stake.

<Hugonel> Of course, I am deeply aware of that. My understanding, though, is that all of this has something to do with the events of the war, matters which a soldier such as your son, I am certain, would agree transcend any one individual.

  • Drusilla looks cross, and sighs

<Drusilla> He is my son. I have every right to supervise his care and treatment.

<Hugonel> (is that legally true?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (no probably not, since Raimond is married - his wife would take precendence over his mother in determining his care if he's incapacitated)

<Hugonel> Countess, I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you, as I'm sure you know it is for Dasra as well. Her loyalty to him in the face of this perplexity is the stuff of ballads.

  • Drusilla makes a lemon-sucking face at that.

<Drusilla> If she continues to refuse my recommendations for treatment, I will be forced to assume that she does not have his best interests at heart, and bring the case to court in order to remove her as his legal guardian.

<Hugonel> Of course that is your right, my lady.

<Drusilla> Indeed, it is. I believe we have said all that is necessary here today.

<Drusilla> Good afternoon, M. Silveira.

<Hugonel> Good afternoon, my lady, and thank you for the audience.

  • Hugonel turns his scarf over to the 'pouty' side and leaves.

Zola asks Lili for advice on getting it on with people with 'lady bits'

<DiablotinNarrator> Where and when do you want to talk to Lili, Zola?

  • Zola assumes she would drop by the bookstore for Materials
  • Lili can certainly be found at her store

<Lili> Hi, Zo - what're you looking for today?

  • Zola will drop by to browse the naughty books

<Zola> Lili!

<Zola> Well, today I'm looking for something a bit more specific, I guess ...

  • Zola will head over to the counter

<Lili> oh?

<Zola> I'm looking for something that might have some ... practical instruction.

<Lili> On what subject?

  • Lili asks curiously

<Zola> How to please a lady, with the standard lady parts.

  • Lili smiles at that

<Zola> I thought you might have some books stashed someplace :)

<Lili> Is there a special lady in your life?

<Zola> Not yet... Noren and I are going on an adventure :3

<Lili> Dungeon-crawling? ^-^

<Zola> Well, I might give spelunking a try.

  • Lili chuckles

<Lili> I suppose I'm a little surprised you haven't tried it before.

<Zola> We're thinking of going to the Jewel Box... and I'd like to at least put on a good show for him rather than be all thumbs.

<Lili> I mean, thumbs have their places... but I'm sure when that kind of money is involved, you want to be sure it goes well.

<Zola> I know, it does seem a little off?

<Zola> There was always just enough fellows around to keep me distracted, I suppose? :)

  • Lili nods

<Lili> Well, I'm sure I can come up with something that would help.

<Zola> Great :)

<Lili> But there's really no substitute for hands-on experience.

<Zola> No, but then I'd have to try to find a spare lady about...

  • Lili laughs

<Zola> That's the nice thing about the Jewel Box, I suppose?

<Lili> Well, I suppose, sure.

<Lili> I mean, it's obviously a very classy place ^-^

<Zola> I could probably try to ingratiate myself with some willing lady, but I wouldn't want to leave a bad impression... would I? :3

<Zola> Hence the book :D

<Lili> You just need a girl who's willing to let you make a few mistakes, and give you some pointers :)

<Zola> Exactly!

  • Zola can probably get a post-mortem from the Jewel :3

<Lili> A girl like me ^-^

<Zola> Hmm?

  • Zola processes that

<Zola> Oh!

<Lili> Well, I feel like I'd be doing a useful service for your future lady-friends ;)

<Lili> Without charging you an arm and a leg for the experiment, in case it isn't your thing.

<Zola> Yes, but aren't you supposed to be trying to sell me books, not yourself? :P

<Zola> Oh, I'm sure I'll have fun... I just want to put on a good show for Noren.

<Lili> I'm not selling myself :p

<Lili> It's more of a charitable donation.

<Zola> :D

<Zola> Oh now I'm a charity case?

<Lili> After you pay for the Jewel Box, you might be ;)

<Zola> Hah

<Zola> Oh, Noren'll be contributing the lion's share of that, for sure.

<Lili> Good man.

<Zola> And if we have fun, we might try the Treasury next :3

  • Lili nods, smiling

<Lili> Well, look - let me find you some books. And if you want to practice what you learn from them, before your big date, give me a call.

<Zola> Well, I could certainly use a tutor to help put all my reading into...context :)

<Lili> Would Noren be participating in this study group as well?

<Zola> He's had time to practice already.

  • Lili nods

<Lili> Well, of course he'd be welcome - he's a sweetheart. But if you'd rather go it alone, that's fine with me - as long as it's also fine with him.

<Zola> We think it is...

<Lili> All right.

  • Lili locates a few books for you.

<Zola> That's ... part of why I suggested a night out, really... fun with a friend...

  • Lili nods

<Lili> is that a new venture for the two of you?

  • Zola flips through one of them

<Zola> "Ooh, diagrams."

<Zola> Yeah... when we were together before, it was a little simpler. And now I worry it won't work out...

  • Lili nods sympathetically

<Lili> So really it's a bit of a test, as well as a fun night out?

<Zola> Yeah, not that I put it that way >_>

<Lili> I hope it'll turn out well, then, for both of you.

<Zola> Thanks

  • Zola will exchange numbers with Lili if we haven't already.

<Lili> And give me a call if you want some tips - either in person or over the phone

<Zola> Will do :)

  • Zola gives her a peck on the cheek before she goes
  • Lili hugs you back
  • Zola happywiggles

Denise heads to Ariège with the gang

<DiablotinNarrator> Denise, you and Enver and Ander and Ralf set off on your trip to Ariège, on the train. Ander reserved two sleeping cars ;)

  • Denise is so excited!

<Denise> (and oooh fancy ^-^)

  • Denise hardly notices how cramped it is ;)

<DiablotinNarrator> Your trip takes about two days, with a number of stops along the way in various towns.

<DiablotinNarrator> At last, you arrive in Ariège, on the coast. It's a large city, not as large as Diablotin, but still quite impressive.

  • Denise will take advantage if we have a chance to get off and look around at all, or otherwise will gawk through the windows

<DiablotinNarrator> The ocean is huge. Who knew it was that big?

<Denise> @_@

<Denise> gosh...

<Enver> it goes on forever...

<Denise> it is kinda pretty though...

  • Enver nods
  • Denise stares

<Enver> but like... who even knows what's down there @_@

  • Denise smiles

<Denise> so you don't wanna go swimmin' then? ^-^

<Enver> Nah, I think I'm good. It's real nice here, though.

<Enver> Warm, like regular weather :)

<Denise> yeah, that's a real nice change... prolly hardly no faries at all :p

<Denise> so now what, boss?

<Ander> Well, I got a couple meetings set up, talk to some of the local folks here, so's we get started on good terms.

  • Denise nods

<Ander> I wanna find out the lay of the land here - who's in charge of things like the docks, smuggling routes, that sorta stuff.

  • Denise is not real clear on what her part is there, but us sure you will let her know

<Ander> You two, you can ask around without stickin' out so much, so I was hopin' you'd take some time to look around, ask a few questions.

<Denise> well, we can look - I ain't got a real good idea who to ask 'bout this sorta stuff...

<Enver> I can prolly help out with that.

  • Denise looks at Enver who has more practical experience dealing with smugglers ;p

<Ander> I got us set up in the Oceanview Hotel.

<Denise> that sounds real swell :3

  • Ander will say as we catch a cab at the train station.

<Ander> It should be nice, I hope.

<DiablotinNarrator> Indeed, as Ander predicted, it's a very nice hotel, with views of the ocean from your windows.

  • Ander got us two adjoining rooms

<Enver> it's got a real bathtub :D

<Denise> real swell :o

  • Denise looks around

<Ander> I'll let you know when I need some security for my meet-ups, Dee. Other'n that, you two take time to go around, enjoy yourselves - ask some questions or meet some people if you get a chance, that sorta thing.

<Denise> okay, can do boss :D

<Enver> yeah, no problem :)

  • Ander also slips you some money for food and entertainment while you're there, Denise

<Denise> (woohoo!)

  • Denise is keep to go out and look around
  • Enver as well

<Denise> We gotta find where the rats are at >.>

<Enver> Yeah, let's try an' see if we can figure that out

  • Enver takes your hand to go out and wander around the city

<Denise> well it ain't so big, at least :3

<Enver> Yeah, an like... you just gotta always remember the ocean's to the west.

<Denise> but I ain't got a real good idea where to start

<Enver> Then you can remember where you're at

<Denise> oh, yeah :)

<Enver> anyway - let's start down at the docks, I guess, an' we can go from there

<Denise> okay

<Denise> We should see if there's folkd around who do pictures

<Enver> Pictures?

<Denise> I told Aunt Hettie I'd try an get one for her... plus I think it's be nice to have one of us

<Denise> yeah

<Enver> oh... yeah, that'd be real nice :)

<Denise> like with a camera

<Enver> For an engagement picture?

  • Enver says with a shy smile

<Denise> maybe.... :3

<Denise> Maybe we can put it in the new paper :3

  • Enver nods

<Denise> I'd heve to talk to my folks afore that....>.> anyway

<Denise> just

<Denise> if we see someone, we shoudl do that

<Enver> Okay, yeah :)

  • Denise will go off with you to see the docks and the Ocean @_@ up close
  • Enver will listen to people talking, before going up to ask any questions of the workers
  • Denise tries to remember if Serges Yvese has ever said much about the port or the people here that might be useful >.>

<DiablotinNarrator> ("oh yeah, that bar's the one where the sailors like to go... well, the fun kind of sailors.")

<Denise> (hee)

<Enver> hey, hear that?

  • Enver says, nodding in the direction of a few workers

<Enver> Folks speakin' Rat :) that's a good sign.

  • Denise listens

<Denise> oh yeah :D

<Denise> so now what?

<Enver> I guess we go an' say hey?

<Denise> I ain't even got a clue what to be askin >_<

<Enver> Well, like... we wanna know where the other Rats live, if they got someplace that's kinda their pitch

<Denise> okay

<Denise> that I can do

<Enver> Ask about work, maybe. Like, who would someone talk to if they wanna find a job, or that kinda thing. THat'll tell us who's in charge around here.

<Denise> okay

  • Denise nods
  • Denise is glad she is not alone on this >.>

<Enver> An' maybe ask ... about if there's anyone named Raspail, or ... what was your folks' name?

<Denise> Lapierre

  • Enver nods

<Enver> I'll be right there with you, if you get stuck

<Denise> I guess we'll see what they say an go from there

<Enver> But you can do it, I'm sure :)

  • Enver nods

<Denise> kay. /me gives your hand a squeeze and will go over to the men then

  • Denise gives your hand a squeeze and will go over to the men then
  • Denise will continue in Rat

<Denise> Uhh, hi!

<Dockworker> Hey, girl, what do you want?

  • Dockworker says back to you in Rat

<Denise> uh, well... we just came up from Diablotin

<Dockworker> oh yeah?

<Denise> un huh

<Dockworker> How's things there? We heard it's bad an' gettin worse.

<Denise> It's cold an there's fairies around messin' with folks, is how it is :|

<Dockworker> That ain't no good.

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> I dunno if it's gettin worse though

<Denise> just it ain't gettin' any better.

<Dockworker> Well, good you got out, then.

<Denise> yeah...

<Denise> we don't know anyone here though, or where we might find, like, more Rats, or who to talk to about work an all...

  • Dockworker nods

<Dockworker> Well, most of us live in the Warren - that's over there, kinda all up an' back of the wharves.

  • Dockworker says, pointing

<Denise> The Warren, eh?

  • Denise grins at that

<Dockworker> Yeah... sounds real nice, huh?

<Denise> Well, sounds better then the Shambles >.>

<Dockworker> I guess so.

<Dockworker> What sorta work are you lookin' for?

  • Denise looks at Enver

<Denise> I dunno really..... I'm pretty good at movin' stuff around >.>

<Dockworker> Yeah, you look pretty strong.

<Dockworker> That your fella there?

<Denise> un huh

<Enver> Yeah, I'm her fella. I know some stuff 'bout movin' goods in ways maybe they ain't supposed to go.

<Dockworker> Oh yeah, that kinda movin?

  • Enver nods

<Enver> I'm sure it's all different here than in Diablotin, so I know I'd haveta talk to the folks in charge an' all.

<Dockworker> Well, there's a tavern where you might find folks to talk to 'bout your line of work or a place to stay. Place called the Sunset Sails.

  • Dockworker can give you directions on how to find it

<Denise> thanks

<Denise> that's reeal swell of you

  • Enver glances at you to see if you want to ask about family stuff too

<Dockworker> Yeah, well, you wanna be careful, movin' things that way. You could find regular work real easy an' stay outta trouble.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> we'll think on that...

<Denise> there's one other thing though, maybe a bit of a long shot

<Dockworker> what's that?

<Denise> we both got folks came from out this way, and were hopin' maybe to try an track some down

<Dockworker> yeah?

<Denise> yeah.... My da' folks were lapierres... an his were raspaille...

<Dockworker> LaPierres, there's a whole bunch of 'em.

<Denise> oh yeah?

<Dockworker> Clarise LaPierre's got a stand just down there, sells sausages an' drinks

  • Denise sounds encouraged
  • Dockworker says, pointing down the way a bit

<Denise> aww, swell!

<Dockworker> Raspail...

  • Dockworker thinks about that one a bit more

<Dockworker> It sounds familiar - I think there's a Vastion Raspail, he's got a shop that sells odds an' ends, second-hand stuff, that sorta thing.

<Enver> Might be, yeah.

  • Enver says with a bit of a >.> look

<Dockworker> Well, you two take care. I gotta get back to work.

<Denise> thanks, it was great to meet you ^-^

  • Enver squeezes your hand
  • Denise squeezes back and will withdraw to confer

<Denise> gosh that went real well :o

  • Enver nods

<Enver> should we get a sausage an' a lemonade, then?

<Denise> yeah :D

  • Enver says, nodding to the stand the guy indicated
  • Denise will head down that way for lunch and maybe family reunions? :V

<Enver> (Hazel said she could go later, so we can find out about the family reunions!)

  • Enver will walk down the docks to the wheeled cart
  • Clarise is a stout, tall, middle-aged woman with steel-grey hair.

<Clarise> What can I get ya, kids?

  • Denise tries to see any family resemblance there...

<Denise> Uh, two hot dogs an lemonades please

<Clarise> Comin' up.

<Denise> thanks :3

  • Clarise will get you your order.
  • Denise will pay her

<Denise> uh, sorry - but is your name Clarise lapierre?

<Clarise> That's right, hon.

  • Denise nods trying not to seem to nervous/excited
  • Clarise gives you a somewhat curious look

<Denise> Just... we came up here from Diablotin for a bit but, I guess I gor Lapierres out here who are family, and I ain't never met 'em

<Clarise> You're a LaPierre?

<Denise> My gran was, afore she was married

<Clarise> What's your name, hon?

<Denise> Denise Murodea...

<Clarise> Or, maybe better yet, what was your gran's name?

<Denise> she was Yvonne LaPierre

  • Clarise breaks into a smile

<Clarise> Well, damn - granddaughter, huh?

<Denise> un huh

<Denise> Did you know her?

<Clarise> Only a bit, she took off before I married her brother Jorrin.

  • Denise nods

<Clarise> I guess that'd make me your great-aunt, or somethin' like that

<Denise> yeah :D

  • Clarise comes around the cart to give you a hug
  • Denise gives her a hug back

<Clarise> You come from Diablotin, huh?

<Denise> yep!

<Denise> It's real nicce up here

<Clarise> Is Yvonne livin' there? She got married again?

<Denise> uhh, she were married, but she passed when I was just born :/

<Clarise> Oh :/

<Clarise> Sorry to hear that

<Denise> Yeah.... I don't remember her so much, but my folks do, an her other kids..

<Denise> what do you mean, likem, again though?

<Clarise> Oh, well... It was before I knew the family so well, so I'm just goin' off what I heard later. But she was married when she lived here, to a fella name of Cederic DuPuitts... he died, an' she headed out to Diablotin short while after. Left the baby behind an' all.

  • Denise blinks

<Denise> the... baby?

  • Denise can't imagine that at all from everythig she heard about her gran and sounds a little stunned

<Clarise> Yeah, she woulda been just tiny then. Aina. Yvonne's folks brought her up.

<Denise> ... huh :o

<Denise> gosh...

<Clarise> I mean, I dunno what all happened back then, an' maybe it ain't my place to say.. but she was real young, an' shouldn't'a been married off yet, if you ask me. I think she couldn't handle it all.

  • Clarise says, seeing you seem surprised
  • Denise nods

<Denise> it doens' sound much like what I know about her.....

  • Denise thinks and then looks sad

<Clarise> My Jorrin always says she was a sweet girl. I don't think they thought worse of her for goin'.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> You think... maybe I could meet him? or maybe her parents?

  • Denise seems more hesitant

<Clarise> Aina turned out fine anyway, she's doin' good for herself - runs a tavern, proper one with a roof an' all, not like this stand :)

<Clarise> Well, sure you could. Any of 'em would be real glad to meet you I bet.

<Denise> okay :3

<Clarise> Sure, well, the Sunset Sails is just up this street, top of the hill. Aina oughta be there this time of day.

  • Denise blinks and then grins again

<Denise> gosh!

<Denise> that's swell, we heard of that place already!

  • Clarise smiles

<Clarise> Well, they'll take real good care of you there- especially once they know you're family :D

  • Denise grins

<Denise> Gosh - just... I guess I wasn't expectin it to be so easy to find folks in a whole city.... :3

<Clarise> Well, Rats gotta stick together.

  • Denise grins of for sure :D

<Denise> ("Oh for sure!")

<Denise> we're gonna be around town for a bit I guess, so i hope we can meet some more folks...

<Denise> oh!

<Denise> This is my boy, Enver Raspail

<Enver> Hi, ma'am.

  • Enver says politely
  • Denise remembers to be polite eventually >.>

<Clarise> Raspail? Any relation to Isila Raspail?

<Enver> Uh.. I don't really know, ma'am. Maybe? I know I got some family out this way, but I don't know who they are.

<Clarise> well, she came from Diablotin, I think ... goodness, maybe fifteen years ago or so?

  • Denise looks atb him

<Enver> It could be.

<Denise> that could be, yeah

<Denise> from what you said

  • Clarise nods

<Denise> do you know her much?

<Clarise> A bit. She does some dressmaking, mending, that sort of work.

<Enver> yeah...

<Enver> do you know where she lives, or if she has a shop or somethin'?

<Clarise> She lives on Clifftop Street

  • Clarise gives some general directions

<Enver> Thanks, ma'am

<Clarise> No problem

<Clarise> Are you here for long?

<Denise> I ain't real sure yet - maybe a week, more or less?

  • Clarise nods

<Clarise> Well, I hope I'll see you around again, then, 'fore you go.

<Clarise> Here - on the house.

<Denise> oh for sure :D

  • Clarise gives you back your money

<Denise> Oh, that's real swell of you, thank you :3

<Clarise> Take care, now.

<Denise> you too!

  • Denise will head off to make more plans then :3

Hettienne is mugged by a Bloodforged, and saved by Nycki

<DiablotinNarrator> Do you think Hettie usually walks home from work, or takes a cab? there aren't any busses/trolleys/whatever running at that time of night

<Hettienne> (Depends on the weather... I have a bike if the streets are clear)

<Hettienne> (if it's miserable out probably a cab, otherwise walk)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay. We'll say it's not miserable enough for a cab, so she can bike or walk.

  • Hettienne hops on her bike.

<DiablotinNarrator> You're biking home in the early hours of the morning. The streets are mostly dead this time of night, and it's quiet.

<DiablotinNarrator> You get off your bicycle and are just bringing it up to your steps when you hear an odd noise - a faint footstep or click or something behind you, which takes you right back to your days of robbing corner dealers.

  • Hettienne whips around to look.

<DiablotinNarrator> "Don't move," says a woman's voice.

<Hettienne> (do I recognize the voice?)

<Woman> (I don't think so, no)

  • Woman is standing at the edge of the alley between your house and the next. She is short, with dark hair cut short - not like a cute bob, but like military short. She's pointing a gun at you.
  • Hettienne commits the face to memory.

<Woman> put your hands where I can see them

  • Hettienne is doing some mental math re: how fast she can get out her own piece.

<Hettienne> The fuck you want?

  • Hettienne scowls.

<Woman> Where are they keeping him?

<Hettienne> Who?

  • Woman takes a step closer and you hear a sort of weird... click, again. Something about her legs isn't quite right.
  • Hettienne glances down.

<Woman> Servan

<Woman> I know you know where he is

<Hettienne> WHat makes you think I'd tell you if I did?

  • Woman cocks her gun at you

<Hettienne> If you shoot me I *definitely* ain't tellin'.

  • Woman angles it just slightly

<Woman> Maybe in the shoulder to start with?

<Hettienne> (am I expecting Nycki tonight?)

<Woman> It's up to you, really

<DiablotinNarrator> (you're not sure... she had said she might be there or might not, depending on work things)

<Hettienne> Like I ain't never had a bit of lead in me.

<Woman> Suits me.

  • Woman shoots you

<Hettienne> Your shithead boyfriend messed with my kin. I ain't a snitch.

<Woman> (or at least, at you - lemme roll for that ;)

<DiablotinNarrator> !roll 1d20+6

  • Zola rolls for DiablotinNarrator: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 17 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> (I think that should hit?)

<Hettienne> (just... yeah)

<DiablotinNarrator> !roll 1d8+1

  • Zola rolls for DiablotinNarrator: [ 1d8+1 ] getting [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ 1 ] totals [ 8 ].
  • Woman wings you in the shoulder, as she predicted
  • Hettienne swears and drops to the ground, going for her own gun in her purse...)
  • Woman will close with you, moving faster than she ought to be able to, and will try to kick your purse away

<Woman> (I guess we can roll uhhh.. Dex checks for this?)

<Hettienne> (it's over my body though, not just on my shoulder... it'd have to be for biking)

<Woman> (ah, true)

<Woman> (well, she'll try to grapple you before you can get to your gun then)

<Woman> (yay grappling rules -_-)

<Hettienne> (ok just tell me what to roll)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yup, just getting them pulled up)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay. So as she tries to grapple you, you get an attack of opportunity against her.

<Hettienne> (with the gun or no?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I think you'd have to draw the gun, then make the attack... so no gun for the AOO)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you can punch her in the face ;) <Hettienne> (yeah that'll have to do, although I suck)

<DiablotinNarrator> (or boot to the knee, or whatever)

<Hettienne> (I'm going for a punch in the face; I know she has metal knees)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+3

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+3 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 3 ] totals [ 14 ].

<Hettienne> (weh)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you swing at her to no avail)

<DiablotinNarrator> (now she rolls her CMB vs your CMD)

<Hettienne> (mine's 20)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)

<DiablotinNarrator> !roll 1d20+5

  • Zola rolls for DiablotinNarrator: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 14 ].

<Hettienne> (EAT MY ASS, BITCH)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - she's adjacent to you, but not grappling you

<Hettienne> (so now I shoot her? >.>)

<DiablotinNarrator> What do you do?

<DiablotinNarrator> Yes, you can get your gun out and try to shoot her

<Hettienne> 5' step back and shoot?

<DiablotinNarrator> kk

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+11

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 27 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> (yup that'll sure hit)

<Hettienne> !roll 1d8+2

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d8+2 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 2 ] totals [ 4 ].
  • Woman manages to avoid getting hit right in the chest or head anyway - a glancing wound

<Woman> Tell me where he is!

  • Woman screams

<Hettienne> Go fuck yourself!

  • Clarise Nycki

<Nycki> GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM MY WIFE, BITCH

  • Nycki says, stepping onto the porch from inside, her gun aimed dead at the girl's head
  • Woman realizes she's outnumbered and will run
  • Woman is ... really unnaturally fast

<Hettienne> . o O (Just like Den said)

  • Nycki comes out to the street to make sure she's gone, then turns to you

<Nycki> Babe, you're hurt!

<Hettienne> Took it in the shoulder... Is it still in there?

<Nycki> well, I can't see shit... let's get you inside where there's some light

<Hettienne> She wanted to know where Aigel's at.

  • Nycki is in her bathrobe, for the record ;)

<Hettienne> (heh)

<Nycki> stupid cunt. better ways to find out than goin' after you :(

  • Nycki will help you inside

<Hettienne> Yeah well, they fixed her legs, not her smarts I guess.

<Nycki> You want me to call for someone? how bad is it?

<Hettienne> I've had worse.

  • Hettienne says through gritted teeth
  • Nycki tries to get a better look once the lights are one

<Nycki> ... I'm gonna get some help. 'Cause.. in case there's the baby ...

  • Nycki says anxiously

<Hettienne> ... Yeah... I guess better had.

<Hettienne> >.>

<Hettienne> ... Wife, huh? :v

<Nycki> ...

  • Hettienne cracks a grin.

<Nycki> I wasn't thinkin' 'bout it at the time

  • Nycki says, a bit embarrassed, but smiles back

<Hettienne> Mik's a Channel... he might be able to come.

<Nycki> sure... they got a phone there, I can ring him up?

<Hettienne> I think Alain does... for work.

  • Nycki nods
  • Nycki will call, and get a groggy Mikel on the phone, and convince him to come over at 5am or whatever time it is now
  • Nycki comes back to your side, with a towel for the bleeding in the meanwhile.

<Nycki> I heard the first shot... that was hers, I guess

<Hettienne> Yeah.

<Nycki> I was so scared

<Hettienne> I'm sorry, hon :(

<Hettienne> SHe seemed pretty desperate.

<Nycki> not your fault

  • Nycki strokes your hair

<Hettienne> I'm gonna get an earful from Serge-Yves...

<Nycki> you did good, though... you got her back

<Hettienne> Still stubborn as fuck.

  • Nycki nods

<Nycki> she talked to you first, or did she just come on firin'?

<Hettienne> She wanted me to tell her where he was at.

<Nycki> well what the fuck did she think she was gonna do, even if she knew? she couldn't take out one scrappy dyke on a bike, let alone all the guards they got there.

<Hettienne> Heh.

<Hettienne> Desperate, like I said.

<Hettienne> Pretty hard up I guess.

  • Nycki nods

<Nycki> Maybe he's got some super mechanical dick :p

  • Hettienne snickers.

<Nycki> okay, you laughed, you must be doin' a little better ;)

<Nycki> ...

<Nycki> like I said, I wasn't thinkin' real clear at the time. but it did feel right, callin' you that.

<Hettienne> It sure felt right to hear...

  • Nycki smiles

<Nycki> well, void, we can do somethin' about that, I bet

<Nycki> you wanna get hitched, Hettie?

<Hettienne> Hell yeah! :D

  • Nycki kisses you
  • Hettienne kisses back, forgetting about the bleeding for the moment...
  • Nycki will be careful of your shoulder
  • Nycki will keep you busy until Mikel gets there and can heal you up

<DiablotinNarrator> (awwwwww)

Solos

Argent finds out that Servan Aigel is an Inquisitor

  • Briony will arrange to meet you at a local café, as is her usual venue
  • Argent arrives as appropriate
  • Briony will get us both a coffee

<Briony> How are you doing?

<Argent> (is she still looking a little worn/stressed out?)

  • Briony does seem tired, yeah

<Argent> I've had some trying situations come up, but I am staying focused. Yourself?

<Briony> Well, it's been ... trying, like you said.

<Briony> Our plans to take out the Cold Rider are on hold for the moment, and I'm worried that the longer we let it slide, the more chance something goes badly. More badly.

<Argent> Its a balancing act, since the cold is keeping the Fungus Queen and her blight at bay.

<Argent> I've not learned much more on that front, however.

<Briony> Exactly.... and they have some kind of idea now about how to take care of that, supposedly.

  • Argent frowns

<Argent> will we be supporting those efforts as well?

<Briony> I don't know.

<Briony> They've upped the guards around those trees in the Shade, and there's something going on there.

<Briony> But so far they haven't asked us to assist.

  • Argent nods

<Briony> That worries me.

<Argent> Oh? How so?

<Briony> I mean... I get that they want us to keep a low profile. We aren't the Spokesmen, we don't parade around in flashy armor and that sort of thing.

<Briony> But surely, whatever is going on, they should be keeping us informed? I don't know.

<Argent> (im on the in on Dorien's caper right?)

<Briony> (yes although he isn't going ahead with it right yet - but you know in general I think?)

<Argent> I've heard there is a Farm outside of the city, military run... they may be studying the blight.

  • Briony nods

<Briony> That doesn't surprise me, I suppose...

<Argent> I hope to have an opportunity to find out more soon

<Briony> All right - if you do, keep me informed.

  • Argent nods

<Briony> I feel like there are so many layers, and so many groups, and I don't know who to look to for answers, or who to trust anymore.

<Briony> I still trust you, anyway. So there's that.

<Argent> I've been wrestling with similar feelings.

<Briony> I wonder if we need to go higher.

<Briony> Talk to my superiors... take these concerns up the chain within the Church.

<Argent> I'm honestly torn on that.

<Briony> Same, or I would have just done it by now.

<Argent> I know there are true people in the church, but I wonder if there is also some complicity as well.

  • Briony nods

<Briony> I can vouch that there probably is.

<Briony> But there are others of us, not priests or spokesmen. I feel like, if we can't trust our own order, who can we trust?

<Argent> Unfortunately the line of work we do tends to make trust a rare thing... when all you do is look for shadows, you can start to see them everywhere

<Briony> that's very true :/

<Briony> For instance... at least one of us is in jail right now.

<Briony> Probably for good reason, if reports are accurate.

<Argent> That's not something I knew... who is it?

<Briony> His name is Alec Derant. Or was, anyway - he's going by an assumed name.

<Argent> care to share his current alias?

<Briony> Servan Aigel.

<Argent> The half warforged caught outside Titania's

<Briony> Right. he's one of ours.

<Briony> It's a mess - enough people squabbling over him that I doubt he'll ever see a trial. Either they'll spring him, or someone'll kill him first.

<Argent> I helped investigate a hospital, outside of the city, looking for more information on him, for some friends.

  • Briony nods

<Briony> experimental research with soldiers injured in the war?

<Argent> yeah.... was he a part of us before that or after?

<Briony> Before - but it's not like he was dismissed from our ranks after the war or anything like that.

<Briony> We had a number of folks in the war, stationed here and there.

<Argent> Understandable... but he's radicalized.

<Argent> was he leaking intel? Why keep him?

<Briony> I don't know the full story there.

<Briony> maybe his contacts were useful?

<Briony> maybe he has allies higher up who were looking out for him?

<Argent> Do you know if he and your sister were in contact with eachother?

  • Argent shakes his head

<Argent> I'm sorry

<Briony> I don't know. I haven't heard anything about that... but it's not like she would tell me, if that was the case, and I certainly can't just go in and ask him.

<Argent> I shouldn't have asked... it didn't feel right.

<Briony> it's not crazy, though

<Briony> If they have similar radical views, it's not impossible they might know each other

  • Briony shrugs, sipping her coffee

<Briony> She'll be going to trial soon - unlike him.

<Argent> Is there anything I can do to help you?

<Briony> I don't know... I might need a babysitter, but... I wouldn't ask you for that. No offense.

<Argent> It's ok, although I would if needed.

<Briony> thank you

<Briony> I'll keep it in mind if I get desperate ;)

<Argent> It's not like I haven't dealt with younger children before.

  • Briony nods

<Briony> It's really not that I don't think you could handle it.

<Briony> Just.. I've seen your apartment ;)

  • Argent chuckles

<Argent> What? Delicate glassware is not a good child's toy? Since when?

  • Briony smiles

<Briony> I'll keep you posted, okay? I'll try to figure out if there are people I feel like we can safely talk to about this.

  • Argent nods

<Argent> I'll let you know if any of my investigations pan out

<Briony> All right. good luck.

<Argent> you too

<Briony> thank you

  • Briony will pay for our drinks, and take her leave
  • Argent finishes his coffee, and waits to make sure nobody has been paying extra attention to Briony and the meeting before departing.

<DiablotinNarrator> Seems clear.

<Argent> (just being careful)

<DiablotinNarrator> *nod*


Denise and Argent compare notes

  • Denise can catch up with you after work maybe?

<Argent> (thats fine)

  • Denise is hiking it hoem tonight, since Ander and Ralf had errands to run of some late night variety >.>

<Denise> (or cabbing I suppose)

  • Argent will walk with his friend, inviting her back to his place to chat.

<Denise> sure :D

<Denise> I got, like a *lot* of stuff to tell you @_@

<Denise> like, a lot a lot!

<Denise> an some of it is even good :V

<Argent> Wow... some good news will be a change.

<Argent> Lets things fly

  • Denise grins

<Denise> you want me to start with that or keep it for last? ^-^

<Argent> good news first, it may cushion the rest

<Denise> okay

<Denise> So like - Enver an I are gonna get married :D

  • Denise hops excitedly

<Denise> Like - not right away

<Argent> Congratulations

<Denise> but like, toward the end of the year :3

<Denise> :D :D :D

<Denise> thanks :3

<Argent> No little Denise's gonna be running around before then?

  • Argent teases

<Denise> We were talkin' bout movin' in, cause Aunt Hettie's plannin on ...having Nycki move in for real... an i figure they prolly will want some space when that happens >.>

  • Denise says vaguley and badly covering up something else she is super excited about ;p

<Denise> no :p

<Denise> No little Denises or little Envers

<Denise> Not for like... a while

  • Denise says stubbornly

<Argent> It takes more than willpower to stop that you know :)

<Denise> we're bein real careful >.>

<Argent> But I'm really happy for you

<Denise> :D :D :D

  • Denise is stuill too excited to be overly annoyed at everyone's lack of faih in her ability to use proper birth control

<Argent> now that were both flying high, lets bring it in for a crash.

<Denise> okay

  • Denise says, more serious

<Denise> so like, you want the real serious hard stuff or you want the medium kinda neat stuff?

<Argent> medium then hard, always better to build up... makes it easier to drink afterward

<Denise> okay

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> that's prolly a good plan 'cause you ain't gonna like it sober >.>

<Denise> Anyway - Enver an I went an checked what the big important Fey this is what's under the club

<Denise> it's this like really cool pool, all mossy an pretty, where folks used to leave offerin's to the river

<Denise> so we left a thing there an said thanks like I guess youre' supposed to

<Denise> an' like, it was a different place, kinda, for just a second, real pretty an not all hemmed in with stone, an like.... real *grateful*

<Denise> you could feel that too

<Denise> an *then*

  • Argent nods listening

<Denise> when I were at the club the next day an I saw Jonas, he looked better

<Denise> not like, all better

<Denise> but not like he were gonna keel over, neither

<Denise> so, like.... its gotta be his place,. ya know?

<Denise> an real old

<Argent> From the sounds of it I agree

<Denise> un huh

<Denise> oh!

<Denise> man I almopst forgot the other cool thing

<Denise> I knew there wee more not bad or weird news :3

<Denise> I'm takin off to Ariege with the boss for a bit!

<Denise> well him an Ralf an he said I oughtta bring enver, for reasons >.>

<Argent> Sounds like it could be an interesting trip.

<Denise> un huh

<Denise> there some work stuff I guess, makin' contacts out there

<Argent> and its probably a little warmer

<Denise> but Enver an I both got family out that way, i guess, an wanna see if we can find somethin'out about 'em

<Denise> un huh, that too

<Denise> plus they vgot a whole Ocean out thwere an I ain't ever seen it, jjst heard lots about it from Serges Yves :3

<Argent> Don't have too much fun, wouldnt want you to not come back.

<Denise> heh

<Denise> no, there too much stuff goin' down here I can just walk away from, even if I step out for a bit

<Denise> which is the last thing, an you ain't gonna like it >.>

<Denise> so, you know they caught Sevan Aigel

<Argent> I've heard

<Denise> Nycki got aunt Hettie in to see what they could get outta him on what when down with Vairon an all

<Denise> what his deal was

<Argent> Did it go well?

<Denise> I guess they got him talkin' some

  • Argent wishes he could have been there...

<Denise> he said Vairon was a Selkie, that'sa why he killed 'im

<Denise> Which that goes with what Geff said, I guess, 'bout him bein' all out to get folks who're different

<Argent> Good to know the reason why I guess... did he provide any clue on how they are finding these folks?

<Denise> Serge-Yves said he had kinda webbed fingers or somethin, I dunno if that makes him a Selkie or what, cause I don't knwo what one of them is :p

<Denise> sorta >.>

<Denise> he said he was workin for a reverent mother

<Argent> Any chance he said who?

<Argent> there are unfortunately more than one

<Denise> the red priestess

<Denise> he called her that

<Argent> (do I have a clue who that could be?)

<Denise> that's all I know, they didn't have real long

<Denise> (red is the order of the Cat colour I think?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (the reverend mother of Cat wears red robes... there's also the Reverend mother of Owl, who has red hair, I suppose ;)

<Argent> (I doubt it's Owl sanctioning killings...)

  • Argent nods

<Argent> that is not great news

<Denise> no

<Denise> an, like, I'm worried 'bout you gettin' all messed up in this with folk's like that around

<Argent> I did get some information that Sevan had been associated with the church before the war.

  • Denise frowns

<Argent> now you've confirmed that the association still exists

<Denise> he were a priest?

<Argent> more like what I do, if my understanding is correct.

<Denise> he sais that guys house we broke into works for her, too, but maybe she had him offed

  • Denise frowns deeper at that

<Denise> Your folks aren't on that though, just killin' folks 'cause they're not human, right?

<Denise> or they ain't supposed to be?

<Denise> they gotta be real bad too, right?

<Argent> Not the people I work with... and definitely not me.

<Argent> What you're telling me is confirming things I have been worrying about lately.

<Denise> oh yeah?

<Denise> :/

<Argent> Church involvement in recent attacks... radicalized members.

<Argent> I need to poke around on this more, thanks for letting me know.

<Argent> Enjoy your trip at least.

<Denise> okay, I'll try

<Denise> an I'll check in when I get back, so you can catch me up an let me know you ain't been murdered by crazy church cyborgs

<Argent> if that happens, I'll be sure my ghost tracks you down.

Gen is 'kidnapped' by Madds

  • Madds will come to see you at your aunt and uncle's house maybe in the following day or two? if your aunt thinks it's okay.
  • Genevriel is not disruptively demanding alcohol after her outing with Lathra, but she is lying in bed a lot and not doing much of anything.

<Madds> Gen? it's me, can I come in?

  • Genevriel is confused by hearing Madds' voice in her aunt's house. Confused enough to answer the door with a suspicious expression on her face.

<Genevriel> Madds... what are you doing here?

<Madds> I was worried about you. I hadn't seen you for a while, and usually you had been coming by to do that spell.

  • Genevriel looks really rough around the edges.

<Madds> I called your aunt and she said you hadn't been very well lately.

<Madds> Since the trial.

<Genevriel> Right. I'm sorry. I'll pray for it now.

<Madds> oh, no... it wasn't that. That wasn't why I came.

<Madds> I wanted to see you.

  • Genevriel glances over her shoulder back into her room, which he can't see because the door is only open wide enough for her to look out at him, and her body obfuscates much of the view.
  • Genevriel turns back to Madds, looking embarrassed.

<Genevriel> It's not exactly set up for public viewings at the moment.

<Madds> Well, you could come and sit in the parlour... your aunt said that would be all right too.

<Genevriel> That only works if you don't mind her listening to everything.

<Madds> I don't have anything to say that I would be embarrassed about.

<Madds> but we can talk right here if you want

  • Genevriel opens the door wider so that he can come in, looking somewhat mortified.
  • Madds doesn't seem shocked or horrified by the state of the room
  • Genevriel will close the door behind him and begin trying to straighten things.

<Madds> I'm not here to see the room, Gen.

<Madds> please.

  • Genevriel starts trying to hide the gin bottles under the bed but then she takes a deep breath and sets them neatly on the bureau.

<Genevriel> It's still embarrassing.

<Madds> I understand that.

  • Genevriel tugs the sheets into some semblance of order and sits down heavily on her bed.
  • Madds sits as well

<Genevriel> Right then. You're seeing me.

<Genevriel> I'm a mess.

<Madds> Little bit, yeah.

  • Madds agrees

<Madds> Is there anything I can do?

<Genevriel> Probably not.

<Genevriel> I've got enough people trying to help me already, but I still seem to fuck everything up.

<Madds> Would you like to go and see Miel, still?

<Madds> Because the roads are better, now that they're dealing with the weather.

  • Genevriel glances at Madds, eyes red-rimmed.

<Genevriel> Part of me would, but she's a horse. She probably doesn't even remember me.

<Genevriel> And it's stupid to want to be remembered by a horse.

<Madds> I don't think it's stupid.

<Madds> And horses are very smart... you might be surprised by what she remembers.

<Genevriel> Maybe.

<Madds> And besides, it might be good just to get out of the city for a little while.

<Genevriel> Forever would be better, but there's no where else to go.

<Genevriel> And I'm supposed to be here, anyway.

<Madds> Supposed to?

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> The One pushed me here. I don't know why.

<Madds> Well, the One will just have to deal if you take a weekend off.

  • Genevriel smiles slightly.

<Genevriel> I don't think it would care about a weekend. Forever, though. That would be a problem.

<Madds> let's take care of the weekend now, and worry about forever later.

<Genevriel> Okay...

  • Genevriel replies softly.

<Madds> all right

<Genevriel> I'll have to clear it with the boss. If I still even have the job.

<Madds> Do you need a little while to pack a bag?

<Madds> I can take you by your work before we leave.

  • Genevriel looks surprised.

<Genevriel> Right now?

<Madds> Sure. Unless you had big plans for tonight?

<Genevriel> ...

<Genevriel> No.

  • Genevriel sniffles. When has she ever had big plans? :P

<Madds> All right.

<Madds> I'll just go and tell your aunt I'm whisking you away. I will try to say it in as dramatic a way as possible, so she assumes we're eloping.

  • Madds says with a slight smile
  • Genevriel looks alarmed, then smiles a little.

<Genevriel> I need to clean up as well as pack. I probably smell like the trenches.

<Madds> I'm happy to wait.

<Madds> I'll submit to your aunt's interrogation in the meanwhile.

<Genevriel> ...

<Genevriel> You're sure? She can be terrifying.

<Madds> I'll pull through somehow. That's how much I care.

  • Genevriel looks bittersweet and a bit bemused as she sees him out the bedroom door.
  • Madds will leave you to your packing and cleaning, going downstairs to brave Sylvise's questions.
  • Genevriel will do her stuff quickly and head downstairs.
  • Madds will escape from Sylvise and lead the way out to his car

<Madds> I apologize in advance for any bumps and stalls... I'm still getting used to it.

  • Genevriel feels as if the world has taken a rather surreal turn as she places her overnight bag in the boot.

<Madds> It's customized so that I don't have to use my bad leg.

  • Genevriel is interested in how they did that.
  • Madds can show you the changes, if you like
  • Genevriel would.
  • Madds will drive us off after his show and tell

<Genevriel> If only there were adaptive technologies for broken brains...

  • Genevriel says somewhat wistfully.

<Madds> That would be nice...

  • Madds will drive us to the club first, as promised

<Madds> Do you want me to park and come in, or just wait here?

<Genevriel> I... don't know.

<Genevriel> I really ought to fight my own battles.

<Genevriel> Probably best for me to go in on my own.

  • Genevriel decides, not sounding completely certain.

<Madds> All right, I'll wait.

  • Genevriel will go see Myrtale, to apologize and explain that she is going through a rough time, etc.
  • Genevriel isn't trying to make excuses to Myrtale, just laying it out.

<Myrtale> Your aunt telephoned and let us know you were ill. I hope you're doing better?

<Genevriel> A little, I think, thank you.

<Myrtale> All right.

<Genevriel> A friend is taking me out to the country for the weekend in the hopes that a change of scenery might help.

<Genevriel> It came up rather suddenly, so I apologize for the short notice.

<Myrtale> That sounds good. I know the weather has been so miserable lately, some fresh air might do some good.

<Myrtale> Will we see you in a couple of days, then?

<Genevriel> I... hope so?

<Genevriel> I'll call as soon as I get back to the city to let you know.

<Myrtale> All right. Take care, Genevriel.

<Genevriel> I'll try. Thank you.

  • Genevriel heads back out to the car.
  • Madds is waiting with the car still running
  • Genevriel settles back into the passenger seat.

<Genevriel> Still got a job, for now, at least.

<Madds> Well, that's good.

<Genevriel> Yes, it's good for the person I am right now.

  • Genevriel agrees.
  • Madds will take us off on the road out of town
  • Genevriel is quiet for a bit, gazing out the window at everything passing by.

<DiablotinNarrator> As you leave the city, you can see the countryside, rolling hills, trees... The road isn't too bad, although a bit muddy in places.

<Genevriel> I started drinking while serving.

<Genevriel> It's the only way I could get by.

  • Madds glances over, listening

<Madds> Did it help?

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> It seemed to. Long enough to let me fall asleep without having to think about all the people I'd killed.

<Madds> Maybe I should have tried it.

<Genevriel> No. Please don't.

<Madds> I won't... it's a bit late now, anyway.

<Genevriel> It just got worse when The One came to me. It's the only way I can shut it and the dead Psyrenes out for a few hours.

<Genevriel> I've been trying to stop.

<Genevriel> I was doing so well, too. I think...

  • Madds nods

<Genevriel> But I couldn't help myself when I got the subpoena.

<Madds> Setbacks are to be expected... especially under that kind of stress.

<Madds> but at least that part of things is over now.

<Genevriel> Larache... is probably not going to let me forget that I ratted on him.

<Madds> Probably not. But there shouldn't be much he can do about it. And if he tries to send anyone after you, we'll take care of it.

  • Genevriel tears her gaze away from the window and spares a glance for Madds.

<Genevriel> Honestly I might prefer if you didn't.

<Madds> How do you mean?

<Genevriel> I just... don't see much reason to hope that things will ever get better.

<Madds> Neither do I, most days.

  • Genevriel glances down at her lap.

<Madds> So we just keep going.

<Madds> Things won't be the same as before, but ... who knows what the future holds?

<Madds> I met you again. That was something worth having stayed alive for.

  • Genevriel blinks back some tears and turns her gaze back to the landscape rolling by.
  • Madds will keep quiet

<DiablotinNarrator> The drive takes probably 3 hours, all told, with a couple of stops to push the car out of the mud. But each time you get out of the car, you realize the weather is warmer and the air is clearer.

  • Madds will at last pull off onto a narrow road, and drive us up to his family's country estate. It is a large manor, but has a sort of lived-in comfortable air to it, not a very formal, cold place.

<Madds> Here we are.

  • Genevriel looks around curiously, and takes deep breaths of the country air.

<DiablotinNarrator> A servant will come out and bring your bags in.

<Madds> The stables are this way, if you want to go there before it gets dark...

  • Genevriel thanks the servant before s/he heads into the house.
  • Genevriel glances at Madds, hesitant and fidgeting nervously with the cuff of one of her gloves.

<Genevriel> Yes. All right.

  • Madds gets his cane out of the car and will walk with you over to the stables

<Madds> She should be down this end.

  • Madds says, gesturing

<Genevriel> All right...

  • Madds will hang back to give you your space
  • Genevriel is lagging a bit, making a fuss over checking out the other horses sticking their noses out.
  • Genevriel gets a little distressed as she runs out of non-Miel horses to fuss over.
  • Miel is stabled where Madds indicated. She looks up when you approach, and whinnies, sticking her face over the edge to get closer to you.
  • Genevriel 's instinct is to hold out her hand to Miel's nose and let her sniff her bare skin, like she used to always greet the family horses.

<Genevriel> Madds?

<Madds> Yes?

<Genevriel> Turn around, please. My hands - I don't want you to see my hands.

<Madds> all right

  • Madds turns away
  • Genevriel pulls off a glove and holds out her hideous arm to Miel, worried that the burnt smell will not be agreeable to the mare.
  • Miel sniffs at you, and then licks your hand gently
  • Genevriel is crying as she tentatively strokes Miel's long nose.
  • Miel snuffles and nudges you affectionately, possibly wondering where the apples are. She looks older, but still clearly her old familiar self.
  • Genevriel fumbles with the latch on the stall door and slips in beside Miel so that she can rub the mare's powerful neck, and then encircle it in a hug.
  • Genevriel burrows her face into the warm, horsey hair and sobs into Miel's neck.
  • Miel leans against you a little, and stamps the ground with her hoof, as if to say 'when are we going for a ride already?'
  • Genevriel cries for a good long while.
  • Genevriel will pester Madds for grooming equipment and give Miel a good grooming before heading in with Madds to supper.
  • Madds can of course provide
  • Genevriel seems to enjoy a quiet evening with Madds, and will thank him and give him an awkward peck on the cheek before retiring for the night.

Zola goes home with Jonas

  • Zola brings some sensible clothing with her to the club to change into before we go wandering in the sewers
  • Jonas admires your sensible shoes

<Zola> I wouldn't want to break a heel :)

<Jonas> No, certainly.

<Jonas> Well, are you ready to go?

  • Zola does bring her pistol, just in case Jonas' security isn't THAT great.

<Zola> Lead the way :)

  • Jonas will take you out, and around the back of the building, to an unobtrusive piece of grating mostly hidden by bushes and shrubs
  • Zola will try to be at least somewhat inconspicuous.
  • Jonas unlocks it and will let you go down first so he can close it behind us.

<Jonas> Now, this isn't my preferred way... but it's the most straightforward for guests.

<Zola> How do you prefer?

  • Zola imagines him turning into a puddle

<Jonas> Following the route the water takes.

<Jonas> But unless you happen to be amphibious, it's not so practical.

<Zola> Where do you have to start, outside the city?

  • Zola will get out a battery powered flashlight pretty soon, as she has no suitable eyes for caves

<Jonas> Oh, no... well, I could, but it would be a long walk.

<Jonas> But there are drains, and storm sewers, and if you don't need to breathe, it can be quite pleasant.

<Zola> Sounds ... tight

<Jonas> Maybe a little :)

<Zola> I appreciate this roomier, less submerged route :)

  • Jonas will lead the way once we get to the bottom of the shaft

<Jonas> It's not far

  • Jonas gives you warnings for any obstacles or tricky spots
  • Zola steps over them gingerly >_>
  • Jonas offers his hand if need be
  • Zola is not the strongest, but at least knows how to step properly
  • Jonas soon brings you into his boudoir, namely a chamber with a waterfall and a pond and a good deal of moss and greenery.

<Zola> Ooooh

<Jonas> I hope it's to your liking... I didn't clean up for company.

  • Zola looks around for any sign of Jonas in the first place
  • Jonas does not appear to have anything like... a bed, or a wardrobe, or furniture

<Zola> It's quite lovely... the whole setup...

<Zola> I can't even tell where you keep your socks.

  • Jonas does nevertheless manage to be clothed and groomed every night ;)
  • Jonas nods in the direction of the pool
  • Zola aims the flashlight up at the ceiling for a slightly less intense look at things

<Jonas> Through there. Although I understand if you don't want to go.

<Zola> Through it?

<Zola> An underwater chamber?

  • Jonas nods

<Zola> Or is it a portal?

<Jonas> It's ... it's another place.

<Zola> Wild.

  • Zola looks around

<Zola> It's all very fantastic, a waterfall, a pool... soft moss... and a portal at the bottom.

<Zola> I wish it was brighter...

  • Zola casts Prestidigitate and sends out a few motes of light to give her a slightly better view of the features

<Jonas> Maybe I need some mood lighing.

<Jonas> (lighting)

  • Zola laughs

<Zola> The others said there were a lot of glowing mushrooms below the tree in the Shade... maybe you could tame some of those :)

<Jonas> I'm not sure I want to bring any mushrooms in here.

<Jonas> Who knows which ones you can trust...

<Zola> So far I'm not sure any >_>

<Jonas> indeed

<Zola> But I guess I haven't met many?

<Zola> So... how long has all this been here?

<Jonas> well I'm already used to keeping out rats and vermin

<Jonas> this... the river? or the tunnel?

<Zola> Both? And the passage to the other place?

  • Zola will look around at the things growing at the edge of the pool

<Jonas> The river was here before the city. The city enclosed the river as it grew - I suppose a thousand years ago or a bit more? The passage, I made as a.. back door, if I needed it.

<Zola> Oh, I thought maybe that's where you came from...

<Zola> Like, maybe the skin between the worlds was just thin...

<Jonas> I was here first.

<Jonas> Not always *here*, precisely.

  • Jonas amends slightly

<Zola> Other rivers?

<Jonas> elsewhere on this river

<Zola> Is it... OK to take a drink?

<Jonas> Yes.

<Jonas> It's clean, if that's what you mean. And it's not offensive to me, if *that* was what you mean.

<Zola> I wanted to be polite :)

  • Zola will kneel and cup her hands for a sip

<DiablotinNarrator> (it's clear and cool)

  • Zola dangles her fingers in it

<Jonas> So... now that we're here, what do you want to do?

  • Zola chuckles.

<Jonas> I could play for you if you like.

<Zola> Oh!

<Zola> I'd like that...

<Zola> I should have brought some candles.

  • Jonas will get his violin out of its case and play for you.
  • Zola will get comfy and watch the waterfall
  • Jonas plays quite beautifully, not in his usual jazz style at the club
  • Zola probably cries ;_;
  • Zola thinks about his poor river all locked away in the dark
  • Jonas is quite willing to let you stay the ... day? I guess it is technically ;p

<Zola> How long would I have to hold my breath to get to the other side? *eyes the pool*

<Jonas> mm... not long. Maybe a minute?

<Zola> I admit, I'm curious :)

<Jonas> all right

  • Zola will take some of her heavier garments off, setting them aside

<Jonas> if you take my hand, I'll lead you - you won't be able to see me once we're in the water, but you can hold onto my hand

<Zola> OK @_@

  • Zola will take his hand and hold on firmly
  • Jonas puts his violin into its (presumably well-sealed) case and will take your hand as he leads you into the pool
  • Zola prepares for the chill >_<
  • Jonas does indeed become invisible while under the water, but you can still feel his hand as the water closes over you...
  • Zola takes one last deep breath
  • Jonas pulls you down to the bottom of the pool... it's dark
  • Zola really hopes she's not doing something stupid >_>
  • Jonas draws you onwards and at some point you feel like you're going up again... it gets lighter, and your head emerges from a pool of water at last

<DiablotinNarrator> On this side, there is actually quite a bit more light - not sunlight, exactly, but it's not dark either.

  • Zola gasps and draws in a big breath, and letting the panic that was starting to build bleed away.

<Zola> What is this place? A ...demiplane?

<DiablotinNarrator> There's a house by a pond. You could be outside? You're not quite sure, the air feels different than it did underground.

<Jonas> A little place of my own. Yes, I suppose you could call it that.

  • Zola will make for shore

<Jonas> (it reminds you a bit of the First World, in some ways)

<Jonas> (the weird diffuse light that doesn't come from a sun, the greenery, the vibrant colours)

<Zola> Is it a part of the First World? Or... beside it, I guess?

<Zola> It seems a bit like it...

<Jonas> The First World is too ... troublesome. Contested. This is mine.

<Zola> I can see the appeal in that :)

  • Zola will pull herself out of the water
  • Jonas helps you out

<Zola> Thank you :)

<Zola> I'm glad you have a place this beautiful to relax.

<Jonas> I don't think I'd have survived otherwise.

  • Zola nods
  • Zola shakes some of the water off

<Jonas> Shall I show you around? or would you prefer to go inside and warm up first?

<Zola> Well, it's not quite Diablotinesque, but maybe drying off first is a good idea >_>

  • Jonas nods

<Jonas> Let me take you inside, then ^-^

  • Zola spends a while letting Jonas warm her up :V
  • Zola is also up for a musical duet as well:3

<DiablotinNarrator> (aww :)

Denise meets her aunt Aina

  • Enver will walk with you to the Sunset Sails, once you've finished your hotdogs and lemonade
  • Denise tries to size the tavern up as they approach
  • Denise wonders if Aina will look like Hettie, or maybe Allain and Georges, or any of the ones who get their size more from the LaPierres and not the Murodeas

<Denise> . o O (Or I guess she could look more like her da...)

<DiablotinNarrator> It looks like a busy place - sailors coming and going, mixed with a few locals and the like - some girls sitting around out front like they're waiting to pick up.

<Denise> man, what if she aint keen on meetin folks who her mam left her for?

<Enver> I dunno... I mean, it sounded like she had family an' stuff when she was growin' up, so maybe it weren't so bad for her?

<Denise> maybe, but still

<Enver> Her grandparents an' aunts an' uncles an' all that

  • Denise wonders
  • Denise tries not to think that she was beter off here anyway, compared to how things went back home, but it does make her feel a little....small and confused and unsettled maybe
  • Denise smiles over at Enver
  • Enver gives your hand a squeeze for reassurance

<Denise> I ain't ever thought of bein' related to someone wh could own a place like this

<Enver> Whatever she thinks, well, at least you found your folks... It's somethin'

  • Denise nods

<Denise> Yours are next

  • Enver smiles nervously at that
  • Denise smiles sympathetically

<Denise> I'll be there, no matter what

<Enver> Yeah.

<Denise> okay

<Enver> No matter what, I already got you for family, an' that's good enough.

  • Denise nods and will give him a little kiss

<Denise> okay

<Denise> I guess we can keep an eye out for work sorts of stuff too >.>

  • Enver nods

<Denise> let's do it, then @_@

<Enver> sure thing

<Denise> I'm for sure gonna need a drink though

<Enver> Well, we're in the right place for that

  • Denise goes up to the bar

<Denise> yup :D

<DiablotinNarrator> The bartender is a young woman - maybe your age or a little older. Definitely not old enough to be your aunt.

<Denise> um....actually, I gotta go pee first, then we can go meet folks.... all that Lemonade >.>

<Enver> okay - you want me to order you anything?

<Denise> sure, just a beer please :3

  • Enver will head up to the bar and order for us both, then
  • Denise will run off to make a pit stop and meet him there shortly
  • Enver is chatting a bit with the girl at the bar, and there is a beer waiting for you
  • Denise comes up

<Denise> hey

<Enver> Hey, Denise - this is Reva.

<Reva> Hi. Welcome to the Sunset Sails :)

<Denise> Nice to meetcha :)

<Denise> seems like a real busy place

<Reva> Yeah, we get a lot of sailors, especially, but other folks travellin' too

<Reva> Your fella here was sayin' you're from Diablotin?

<Denise> yup

<Denise> uh...

  • Denise eyes Enver

<Denise> I guess we came up lookin' to meet folks in the smae kinda work?

<Denise> same

<Reva> It must be real swanky there.. I always wanted to go...

<Reva> hm?

<Denise> right now its mostly real cold :p

<Denise> but there's some real swell places, for sure!

<Reva> What sorta work are you lookin' for?

<Reva> Sailors?

<Reva> 'Cause there's always ships lookin' for crew, if you know where to look

<Denise> nooooot exactly >.>

<Enver> Maybe somethin' more in the import line

<Reva> Like... traders?

<Enver> Well, yeah, more like that. Sorta ... transportation, gettin' things from here to there

<Reva> From here to Diablotin, that kinda thing?

<Enver> yeah, like that.

<Denise> yeah.... maybe not so official though

<Denise> we heard tell there might be some folks to talk to 'round here

<Reva> Ohh, yeah...

<Denise> (aere miost folks here speaking rat?)

<Denise> (or any, lets go with any >.>)

  • Reva is not, nor are most of the sailors and visitors, but a few folks are here and there

<Reva> well if you wanna do that sorta trade here, first of all you'd gotta talk to Aina.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> well

<Denise> we were hopin' to talk to her anyway...

<Denise> Clarisse said maybe she might be here though

<Reva> She's down checkin' the stock in the storeroom - you want me to get her up here?

<Denise> I don't wanna pull her outta somethin if she's real busy

<Denise> but I think she might be keen to hear some of the stuff I wanna tell her

<Reva> Well, she is, but she'll prolly be up in a bit, if you wanna sit an' have your drinks til she's back

<Denise> that sounds swell to me :)

  • Denise sips her beer
  • Aina looks like a fair-haired version of Hettie - the resemblance is pretty obvious

<Denise> oh my gosh :o

<Enver> wow.

  • Enver talks to Reva for a minute, and then looks over at you - presumably the girl told her you were wanting to speak with her

<Enver> (er, ww)

  • Denise tries to stop stairing
  • Aina talks to Reva for a minute, and then looks over at you - presumably the girl told her you were wanting to speak with her

<Denise> (and staring -_-)

  • Aina comes over to where you're sitting

<Aina> Hey - I heard you wanted to talk.

<Denise> yes ma'am

  • Aina sits down at your table with you
  • Denise is feeling flustered a bit because of the resemblance

<Denise> I, um, we... um, we come up from Diablotin for some stuff

<Denise> Business stuff, like.....

<Aina> you lookin' for work? Or a place to stay?

<Denise> but uh, also family stuff an..

  • Denise shakes her head

<Denise> nah, my boss got us a place

<Denise> We were lookin for folks to talk to 'bout certain kinds a trade >.>

  • Aina nods

<Denise> but then, like....

<Denise> Gosh

<Denise> Okay...

<Denise> So, We talked to Clarisse, afore we came here, 'cause some folks we heard sent us that way

<Denise> 'cause she was a LaPierre

<Aina> yeah...?

<Denise> An my gran was a lapierre, in Diablotin....

<Aina> Who was she?

<Denise> Yvonne Lapierre

<Aina> ...

<Denise> Or I guess maybe Dupuitts.....

<Denise> yeah @_@

<Aina> Reva, bring me a drink.

  • Aina calls over her shoulder.

<Denise> Gosh I'm sorry I just weren't anything what I was expectin to find here

<Aina> hey.. ain't your fault, ah... what's your name?

<Denise> Um Denise, Murodea

<Aina> Aina Dupuitts.

  • Aina offers her hand
  • Denise shakes

<Denise> gosh

<Denise> You just... you look right like my Aunt Hettie, only fair when she's dark

<Aina> well, they say I look a good deal like my mam did.

<Denise> gosh

<Aina> so... she had other kids, huh?

  • Denise nods

<Denise> a parcel of

<Denise> 'em

<Denise> I can tell you, if you wanna know, what all happened....

<Denise> much as I know it, anyway

<Aina> Yeah. I think my folks'd like to know too. They got a few letters after she went out to the city, an' then she stopped writin' after a while.

<Denise> ...they ain't never....got no letters... 'bout her?

  • Denise probes gently

<Aina> Last one said she was lookin' to start over, an' to please let her be, so...

  • Aina shrugs

<Denise> :/

<Aina> It was a rough deal she got... I guess I don't blame her.

  • Denise nods but looks sad and down at her beer

<Aina> She made sure I had folks to look after me, anyway... she coulda left me on an orphanage doorstep

<Denise> that sounds more like what I know of her - she tried to be real good for her kids

<Denise> other kids

<Aina> For a while I guess I was real mad about it.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> I can figure on that

  • Denise says sympathetically

<Aina> But when I got older, an' had my own kids, like... I sorta saw how it could be, when you ain't got nothin'

  • Denise nods

<Denise> Looks like you done real well here!

  • Denise smiles

<Aina> It's not so bad :)

  • Denise does not know how to tell this woman that her mother died seventeen years ago livin in slums, married to a drunk, with 6 other children

<Aina> So... who's your mam, or dad? who's her other kids?

<Denise> oh!

<Denise> Um, er, oh, right

  • Denise botes her lip apologetically

<Denise> This is Enver, he's my man, i shoulda said that already

<Enver> Nice to meet you, ma'am.

  • Aina shakes his hand too
  • Denise looks contritely at him because this is the secomnd time *today* she has done that -_-

<Denise> But the family....

<Aina> You got a real looker there, Denise :)

  • Aina says, smiling at you both

<Denise> Thanks ^-^

<Denise> an he's real smart too :)

<Aina> Well, that's even better

  • Enver blushes a little

<Denise> an other nice things besides ^-^

<Enver> Ah, you're too sweet ;)

<Denise> well, not *too* sweet >.>

<Denise> anyway...

<Denise> My pa is the oldest of our lot, I guess

<Denise> he's Patric

<Denise> I figure prolly he ain't much younger'n you?

  • Aina nods

<Denise> The it's Aunt Hettie, but she's a fair bit younger

<Denise> likegosh... 7 or 8 years? I forget >.>

<Denise> after thatt they came more regular, an all boys

<Denise> Thierry, then Serge-Yves, then the twins, George and Alain

<Aina> Twins?

<Denise> yeah

<Aina> I got a pair of 'em too.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> we only got one of 'em left, after the war :/

<Aina> ah :/

<Denise> That's Alain

<Denise> the next gen, there's me

<Denise> I'm the oldest there

<Denise> then my brother mikel - H;es a channel, an real smart

<Denise> an my little sister.... she's a Yvonne too, but we all call 'er Yvie

  • Aina nods, smiling at that

<Denise> then Thierry just had ahis first little one, Avionne, with his wife, Rosalie

<Denise> an' that's it, for now

<Denise> I....

<Denise> I never actaully met my gran

<Aina> she's passed on? :/

<Denise> when I were just a baby :/

<Denise> I'm real sorry...

<Aina> :|

<Aina> well... I dunno what I'd say to her if we met anyhow

<Aina> I guess I hoped...

<Aina> but I mean, I never really figured on havin' all those relations

<Denise> none of us never knew much about her folks out here, save some names i guess

  • Aina nods

<Denise> My aunt say my granda sent a message, when she passed

<Aina> My folks - well, her folks... they're still kickin'. I bet they'd like to meet you, if you wanted.

<Denise> but maybe it never got here or maybe it never got sent, its hard to say

<Denise> I'd like that a whole lot :3

<Aina> .... it could be, you'd have to ask them 'bout it. I dunno whether they woulda told me.

  • Denise nods

<Aina> For me, well, you met my girl Reva already, an' there's Jervis an' Jesyn, the twins, an' then Cylla's the baby of the family, she's just six.

<Denise> gosh, that a whole parcel of cousins @_@

  • Aina nods
  • Denise smiles

<Aina> They all got different daddies... I never was one for settlin' down with just one fella I guess.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> its like that on my other gran's side too

<Aina> Besides, you take up with sailors, you gotta figure on them bein' gone a lot ;)

  • Denise grins

<Denise> Serge-Yves is a sailor

<Aina> Yeah? I wonder if I ever served him a beer.

<Denise> but his kinda place is more the [local gay bar he's talked about] if you know what I mean >.>

<Aina> oh, well then. Maybe not so much around here.

<Denise> I dunno, maybe :)

<Denise> I could ask next time he's in the city

  • Aina nods

<Aina> You said I look a lot like his sister, yeah? He mighta noticed if we'd met.

<Denise> yeah

  • Denise cannot argue with that @_@

<Aina> Look... do you - both of you - wanna come 'round for a family dinner, maybe tomorrow say?

<Denise> Gosh, I'd love that

  • Denise says earnestly

<Denise> I gotta be on hand if I'm needed for business things.... but I get to figuring if you're having a family dinner maybe there ain't no business to be done anyway >.>

<Aina> How'd you mean?

<Denise> well, from what Reva was sayin', you got a lotta say 'bout what kinds a deals get made round here

<Aina> Yeah, I know a thing or two I guess

  • Denise glances at Enver because she doesn't totally trust her own judgement

<Denise> un huh...

<Enver> Well, I think that's somethin' we'd like to talk on more, but I'm sure a family dinner ain't the time or place.

<Denise> oh, yeah, for sure it ain't

  • Aina nods
  • Denise is not great at being subtle or clever apparenlty

<Denise> ...YOu ever hear a thing 'bout the Mala Tajna?

  • Denise asks a little more quietly

<Aina> I heard the name before...

  • Denise nods

<Denise> I just know some folks who are lookin to find someone to talk to 'bout movin some stuff >.>

  • Aina nods

<Aina> Well, dependin' on the stuff, I could prolly hook you up with some folks in the trade.

  • Denise has no idea what the stuff is, actually >.>

<Enver> We're sorta lookin' for connections here, all sorts, I guess.

<Denise> ain't really for us to sort out all the details

<Aina> all right

<Denise> jjust to figure more who's who

<Aina> Well, that I can prolly help you figure out. So's you don't step on any toes by accident.

<Denise> that'd be real swell

<Aina> Sure thing

<Aina> I mean, more trade goin' through, that's good for everyone

<Denise> that's the idea

  • Denise grins

<Denise> (I'm not sure what more there is to do here - Denise can hapyly chatter iuntil she needs to go do actual work ;)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yeah, that's probably all for the moment?)

<Denise> (thank you!)

Denise meets the rest of the Ariège branch of her family

<DiablotinNarrator> Aina will invite you round to meet her 'parents' - actually grandparents - maybe say the next morning? with plans for a bigger family dinner that evening or the next or whatever, assuming things go okay

  • Denise will agree to come around at a time where she is fairly certain she;ll have been able to give Ander a run down of the night before

<DiablotinNarrator> okay - maybe you can give him a rundown in the morning, and meet them for afternoon tea or something

<Denise> (yeah, that works)

  • Enver will check to make sure you want him to go with you?

<Denise> (of course!)

<Denise> (they're bpraaactically your family too at this point <3)

<DiablotinNarrator> (aww :)

  • Enver will accompany you to the address Aina provided, then - Aina herself is at work. The house is old and not overly large, but in relatively good shape - not decrepit or anything. The neighbourhood is near the docks, so it's a bit on the rough side, but again, not like Shambles-terrible or anything.

<Denise> . o O (Is this The Warren?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (apparently so!)

<DiablotinNarrator> The streets are kind of narrow and winding and hilly, and the houses are close together

  • Denise will knock at the given address
  • Corinne comes to the door to answer it. She is a short older woman, mid-seventies or so, with thick curly grey hair tied back in a bun.

<Corinne> Hello, are you... Denise?

<Denise> Um, yes, that's me!

  • Denise smiles a little nervously
  • Corinne smiles back

<Corinne> come in, please!

  • Denise does, looking around a little at the house

<Denise> It's real nice to meet you...

  • Denise is not really sure what to call her
  • Corinne 's house is obviously kept neat and tidy, although it's somewhat crowded with things. She seems to like little knickknacks and has several potted plants and tatted doilies and framed photographs and the like.

<Corinne> I never thought we'd see you, that's for certain. But I'm very happy that you're here.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> I dunno what all Aina told you

<Denise> oh, um, this is Enver

<Enver> Hello, ma'am.

  • Denise remembers to make the introduction at the start this time

<Corinne> It's nice to meet you.

<Corinne> Aina told me that you're Yvonne's granddaughter...

  • Denise nods

<Corinne> that you came all the way from Diablotin

<Denise> yeah....we we came up for other stuff but i figured... maybe I could see what I could find

<Denise> I guess I didn't expect to have much luck at it :o

  • Corinne nods

<Corinne> Well, if you ask a Rat, they do all know each other :)

<Denise> un huh!

<Denise> well, that's how it is back home - I ain't never met any Rats from Ariege before

<Corinne> I made some tea and honey-rolls... would you like to sit down and have some?

<Denise> that sounds great, thank you :3

  • Corinne will lead you into the kitchen to have a seat at the table. There is an old man sitting (dozing, maybe?) in a rocking chair near the stove.

<Corinne> Monty! The girl Aina talked about is here, wake up.

<Montcalm> eh?

<Corinne> THE GIRL AINA TOLD US ABOUT. YVONNE'S GRANDDAUGHTER.

  • Corinne says more loudly

<Montcalm> Oh, ah.

  • Denise blinks when she yells
  • Montcalm nods in your general direction.

<Denise> Uh, hi!

  • Denise chirps at a slightly more than medium volume

<Montcalm> What're you on about?

  • Montcalm has what you feel is a more... ratty? accent - at least, he sounds more like old folks from back home than his wife does.

<Corinne> My husband doesn't hear so well these days.

  • Denise waves
  • Montcalm waves back, looking a bit bemused
  • Corinne pours each of us some tea and offers you the plate of glazed rolls

<Denise> thank you!

  • Denise will take one and have a nibble

<DiablotinNarrator> (it's sweet and a bit sticky)

  • Enver will have one as well

<Denise> (perfect!)

<Denise> Did Aina say anything else?

<Corinne> She said a little about your family...

<Corinne> She asked if we knew about Yvonne having died :/

  • Denise nods, maybe a little relieved that she doesn't have to tell tnhat story again

<Denise> ...Did you?

<Denise> My granda said he sent a letter, I guess, but he ain't always real...reliable >.>

<Denise> (/s/reliable/sober >.>)

  • Corinne nods

<Corinne> We got his letter... after a while. It took some time for it to find its way to us.

  • Denise nods

<Corinne> it was... well... it was quite brief.

  • Denise nods, unsurprised
  • Denise wonders what was in it

<Corinne> he let us know that she had died... that he and the children loved her... that he thought she went quickly and didn't suffer.

<Denise> :/

<Denise> I guess he ain't really much one for letters

<Corinne> it was good of him to send it... when he didn't even know us.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> I guess, well, My aunt knew your names, I figure at least my pa prolly does too, but hettie at least didn't know much more 'n that

  • Corinne nods

<Corinne> yes... the letter was addressed to us by name, although he didn't know our address except that we were in Ariege... it's a miracle it got to us at all, I suppose.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> maybe some of your mail folks were Rats too ;)

<Corinne> I think that helped, yes :)

  • Denise fidgets slightly
  • Denise nibbles more on her honey bun

<Corinne> ...you must have some questions of your own, I imagine

<Denise> Well... sorta...

<Denise> I mean, I guess I do but like.... at the same time it were all a real long time ago now

<Denise> All I ever knew about her is what other folks in the family have said

  • Corinne nods

<Denise> but they always say such real nice things, it makes me sad :/

<Corinne> :/

<Corinne> You never got to meet her, I guess?

<Denise> I were just new still, when she passed

  • Corinne nods

<Denise> so I figure I did, but I don't remember back that far, is all

<Corinne> of course

<Denise> but I guess.... knowin' all what folks say, it was really strange...hard, even, to hear 'bout her leavin' Aina like she did, even though I guess she were real young

  • Denise says tentatively

<Corinne> it makes me sad too... but like you said, it was a very long time ago.

  • Corinne says gently
  • Denise nods

<Corinne> She wanted what was best for Aina... and she thought that would be for her to be with us.

  • Denise nods

<Corinne> Going to a new city where she hardly knew anyone, she didn't know how she could take care of a baby and also find work...

  • Denise thinks about that

<Denise> How come she left though? Was just like.... hard memories?

<Corinne> Well, a few things.

<Corinne> Back then there wasn't much work for a single woman here - lots of work for men on the docks and ships, but she wasn't big and strong enough to work with them. And it was always harder for Rats to find work. They said that in Diablotin, there were factories starting up where they needed workers and didn't care too much who they were.

  • Denise makes a bit of a face at that, but nods

<Corinne> And then, her husband... well, her first one. They had a rough time of things :/

<Corinne> He was very charming... he could talk anyone into anything. but he didn't have a good head for money, and what he did make he gambled away.

<Denise> :/

  • Denise wonders if he got doen in for debts >.

<Corinne> When ...

  • Corinne pauses for a moment, as if maybe she's not sure she wants to say whatever comes next, or not sure whether you want to hear it
  • Denise put on her serious listening face

<Corinne> He got into debt to some unpleasant characters.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> Were she worried they were gonna be after her too?

  • Denise lets her gran-gra skip over the part where he was unpleasantly murdered >.>

<Corinne> They ... had told her, if they caught up with her, they were going to have her work off his debts. The sort of work that a girl does around the docks.

  • Corinne says obliquely

<Denise> :|

<Denise> :(

<Montcalm> You can say whorin'.

  • Montcalm says from his chair. apparently he caught at least some of the conversation.
  • Denise looks over at him

<Denise> Yeah, I got it.

<Corinne> Be polite, dear.

  • Corinne says to her husband.

<Denise> It's okay.

<Denise> I'm glad she got away, then

<Denise> I guess maybe that figures in some too, how she met up with my granpa

<Corinne> We always hoped maybe she would come back one day, but... she was too worried it would come back to hurt us, or Aina. She even asked us to stop writing to her, in case it led them to where she was. I don't know if they even had that kind of reach, but she was worried about it.

<Corinne> oh?

<Denise> he were in the guard

<Corinne> oh... she would have liked that, I think.

  • Denise nods

<Corinne> can you tell me a little about him?

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> I guess.... he were always a real hard livin' type

<Denise> 's name is Corbin Murodea

  • Denise glances at Monty becaus emaybe he would ow the name if he is an old Diablotin rat, but who know

<Montcalm> Hm?

<Montcalm> Murodea, d'you say?

<Corinne> Yes - that's Denise's name, Aina told us that.

  • Corinne says patiently with him
  • Denise nods

<Montcalm> Good family.

  • Denise wasn't sure, maybe they already had it from the letter
  • Denise smiles a little at that

<Montcalm> Least she found a Rat fella.

<Corinne> He did sign the letter but... I'm afraid I couldn't make it out, other than that it started with a C and an M...

  • Corinne says to you

<Denise> Well, he weren't always real steady

<Denise> >.>

<Corinne> Were they happy together?

<Corinne> I know maybe you don't know that, being only little when she passed, but... if your father or anyone said?

<Denise> I know aunt hettie says she figured she musta loved him a whole lot.

  • Corinne smiles a little at that

<Denise> My pa don't talk much about it, but he ain't great at that sorta thing

  • Corinne nods

<Corinne> It must have been hard on him.

<Denise> yeah...

<Denise> an the rest

<Corinne> :/

<Denise> he had me an' mam to look after, an Mikel just on the way, an there weren't really anyone else to look after th' others 'cept aunt hettie

<Denise> It's real sore between 'em, on that point:/

<Corinne> :/

<Corinne> I wish there was anything we could have done to help.

<Denise> ain't no way you could've knowed, I guess

<Denise> I think folks are mostly doin' alright now, anyway

  • Denise says, encouragingly

<Corinne> I'm glad to hear that.

  • Denise can chatter on about various family folks, especially the more successful ones ^-^
  • Corinne is interested to hear about all of that

Denise meets the Ariège branch of Enver's family

  • Denise will sort out a time to go chanse down Enver's family instead of hers
  • Denise was assuming he would want her to go but will check on that, just in case >.>

<Enver> of course I want you to go

<Enver> I figured we'd go by the shop they mentioned... check it out, anyway

  • Denise nods

<Denise> okay :)

  • Enver will find our way there, then
  • Enver will scope out the place first. It looks like a pretty shady place, cluttered with various junk, but not too different than various stores in the Shambles.

<Enver> well... I been in worse.

  • Denise will poke around through the junk with him

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> that place down on the oaks

<Denise> kinda reminds me a that one

  • Enver pokes at some barrels of scrap iron

<Enver> yeah

<Enver> I guess we can go in...

  • Denise nods

<Denise> there's that lady, too, we coudl look in to >.>

<Enver> yeah, if this don't work out, we can try her too

  • Denise gives his hand a squeeze

<Denise> c'mon then

<Enver> 'kay

  • Enver is really nervous, but will step inside the dimly-lit shop. A bell jangles as the door swings closed.
  • Denise will gently lead him up to the door
  • Denise looks around inside, then
  • Shopkeeper comes out of the back of the shop when he hears you enter. He's a skinny, wary-looking man, maybe in his 30s or so, with curly black hair.

<Shopkeeper> You kids lookin' for somethin'?

<Enver> Ah, yeah...

  • Denise glances at enver, letting him take lead here

<Enver> We're lookin' for a man named Vastion Raspail

<Shopkeeper> What for?

  • Shopkeeper says, instantly growing more suspicious

<Enver> Well, cause my name's Enver Raspail.

<Shopkeeper> I don't care what your ma told you, I ain't your father.

  • Denise doesn't look impressed

<Enver> No, I, ah... I think you might be my uncle though, maybe.

  • Shopkeeper looks dubious

<Enver> Does the name Mauna ring any bells?

  • Shopkeeper displays a flicker of recognition, but shrugs

<Denise> what?

<Enver> She was my mother. She's dead.

<Shopkeeper> That's too bad for you, I guess.

<Enver> Did you know her?

  • Enver presses, getting more cross
  • Denise looks a little cross and a little concerned

<Shopkeeper> Long time ago, yeah. Dunno what you think I can do for you though.

<Enver> Was she your sister?

<Shopkeeper> Half-sister.

<Shopkeeper> She barely had anything to do with me, so if you're after money or somethin' 'cause of old family ties, you can get on your way.

  • Denise frowns at that more

<Enver> I ain't after money. I just wanted to find someone else besides me who might care she was dead.

<Enver> But I guess that ain't you.

<Denise> C'mon Enver...

  • Enver will turn to go with you

<Denise> ugh.

  • Denise says when she is mostly outside
  • Enver needs to take a minute to calm down, as much as he can anyway

<Denise> You ain't got no usef for a sourpuss like that anyhow

<Enver> ... what if the old lady ain't any better :(

<Denise> I'm sorry he were like that though :/

<Denise> then at least you know it an ain't just left wonderin

<Denise> for me that'd be better, but if you don't wanna, that's okay too

<Denise> these ain't folks you *need*, either way

<Enver> I mean... if it's her, really, then she lived in Diablotin same time as us, an' never came by or anythin'. Maybe there's some kinda bad story there, an' I'd just be diggin' it all up.

<Denise> maybe

<Denise> but maybe it's like with Aina an it were a long time ago and itds easier

  • Enver nods a little

<Denise> an if it still hard, well, maybe it still something more you could know

<Enver> well... maybe we can get a drink or somethin', an' then go try her. I dunno if I can go right away.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> where d'you wanna go?

<Enver> Just anywhere that ain't here.

  • Denise will drag you off then, and try and fins a little pub or something that looks okay
  • Enver seems a little better after having a beer and some pub snacks.

<Enver> okay... I guess we might as well give it a try.

  • Enver says once he's finished his drink

<Denise> okay

<Enver> if it goes bad too, can you ... just make sure to get me back to the hotel okay? I dunno how I'll be doin' >.>

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> I ain't gonna let you run off or nothin'

<Denise> I'll take care of you :3

  • Enver smiles at that

<Enver> thanks, Denise... I dunno if I could do this without you

  • Denise smiles
  • Enver takes your hand

<Denise> well, you don't gotta, so that's okay

<Enver> I'd always wonder if I didn't, though

  • Denise nods

<Denise> I meant you don't gotta do it without me :3

  • Denise will give him a little kiss

<Enver> oh, yeah

<Denise> you ready? or ready enough?

<Enver> I guess, yeah

  • Enver will head off with you, then
  • Denise will try and find this place and see if we can find the right house >.>
  • Enver finds one that has a little sign in the window saying 'Dressmaking, Alterations, Repairs'

<Enver> I guess it's this one...

<Denise> aww yeah! :)

<Denise> maybe that's where your mam learned it...?

<Enver> Maybe, yeah

<Denise> c'mon then

  • Enver will head up to the door
  • Enver takes a deep breath and rings the bell
  • Old_woman answers the door. She's fat and wears a nice floral dress with a bit of lace at the collar. She looks perhaps around 60, with sort of faded pale hair in a braid.

<Old_woman> Yes, how can I help... you...

  • Old_woman sort of trails off looking at Enver, and then her knees give out and she crumples into a faint

<Enver> uh, shit!

<Denise> o_O

  • Denise will try and catch her?

<Denise> oh gosh

<Enver> (You can manage to catch her before she hits the ground)

  • Denise looks inside the house for a chair or couch ir somewhere she can carry her too

<Denise> uh, go find some water or somethin' maybe?

  • Enver will go and try to do that @_@
  • Old_woman 's house does have a comfy, well-used chair, so you can take her to that.
  • Denise will pick this lady up and try to get her somewhere more comfortable
  • Denise will settle her as gently as she can

<Denise> ma'am?

  • Enver returns with a cup of tea
  • Denise knows you're supposed to check somehow if they're okay but is not really sure what you are supposed to be checking >.?

<Enver> this was already made so ...

  • Denise nods to him
  • Denise gives her a gentle shake >.>
  • Old_woman stirs a little when you try to bring her around

<Denise> ma'am? Are you alright?

  • Old_woman looks at you, blinking in confusion, and then looks at Enver and gives a little shriek

<Enver> Ah, sorry to startle you, ma'am...

<Denise> go sit down, sweetie

  • Denise is startin' to get a bad feelin'
  • Enver puts the teacup down where she can reach it and sits down on the other side of the room, looking anxious

<Denise> We didn't mean to scare you, ma'am

<Old_woman> Who are you?

  • Denise says, trying to sounds real calm

<Denise> My name's Denise, an this is my boyfriend, Enver....Raspail

  • Old_woman 's hand goes to her mouth and she looks like she might cry

<Denise> We came up from Diablotin, an he was hopin' to find out more maybe 'bout his mam's folks, is all

<Old_woman> Oh, yes, of course...

  • Old_woman says a bit shakily
  • Denise will pass her the tea
  • Old_woman takes it, not really looking at it, still staring at Enver

<Denise> We didn't figure on it bein such a rough kinda surprise, I guess, so we're sorry...

  • Denise will scoot back and sit with him, taking his hand
  • Old_woman nods

<Old_woman> It's not your fault... you just look so familiar.

<Enver> 'Cause I look like someone you know?

  • Enver asks uncertainly

<Old_woman> Yes... or someone I knew, at any rate.

  • Old_woman sips her tea

<Denise> ...are you his gran?

  • Old_woman nods
  • Old_woman is now known as Isila

<Isila> I never thought I'd see you again.

  • Isila says to Enver

<Enver> ...Again?

<Isila> Yes... the last time I saw you, you were just a baby still.

  • Enver seems surprised at that, but nods

<Enver> Why?

<Enver> I mean... I don't wanna pry, but ... why didn't you come around when I was older?

  • Isila looks pained

<Enver> ... if you don't wanna tell me, it's ... it's your business, really.

<Isila> Mauna... your mother... we parted on bad terms. It was my fault. I should have listened to her :(

  • Enver hesitates, as if he doesn't know if he should ask more, or not
  • Denise squeezes his hand

<Isila> Is she... still alive?

<Enver> No ma'am.. She died around about ten years ago.

<Denise> :/

  • Isila starts crying, finding a handkerchief in her sleeve

<Isila> I should have been there for her... for you... it's my fault.

<Denise> oh gosh, ma'am...

  • Denise looks at Enver to see if he wants to get up and go over to her maybe?

<Enver> it wasn't your fault she died... she just got sick.

  • Enver is still hesitant, but will squeeze your hand

<Isila> But maybe if I had been there...

<Enver> Maybe things woulda been different, I guess, but it don't matter now. I just... just wanted to find her folks.

<Enver> I'm sorry if it's stirrin' up bad memories though.

  • Isila manages to compose herself a little, still sniffling into her handkerchief from time to time

<Isila> I tried to imagine she was happy... that maybe she got married, had more children...

<Enver> No other children, no. Just me. But .. I think she was happy?

  • Isila nods tearily

<Enver> But I feel like I gotta ask... 'cause I know I don't look like her, not a lot anyway. Who did I look like to you?

  • Denise braces for this

<Isila> My... my husband.

  • Isila says quietly

<Enver> I look like my grandfather?

  • Denise keeps hold of his hand, but looks grim
  • Enver asks a bit cautiously
  • Denise puts her other hand on top of his

<Isila> No... well, yes. Your eyes remind me of his. But you look like .. like your father.

<Enver> ...

<Isila> She tried to tell me what he was doing to her, and I didn't believe her until ... it was too late and ....

<Isila> I don't blame her that she couldn't forgive me for that

  • Enver is holding your hand very very tight
  • Denise will rub his back

<Denise> That were your second husband?

<Denise> What happened to 'im? >.>

<Isila> yes...

<Isila> When I realized what he'd done... when I knew it was true what she'd said....

<Isila> ... one night he went out drinking with his buddies, and he must have tripped on the stairs coming home.

  • Denise smiles grimly at that but nods

<Isila> I went by ... I tried to tell Mauna... that was the last time I saw you.

  • Isila says to Enver

<Isila> She said she was glad he was dead, but she didn't want to see me again :/

  • Enver nods grimly

<Denise> Thank you for tellin' us all that.

<Enver> Then... did she have a friend or someone named Luc? A boyfriend or somethin'?

  • Isila thinks about that for a moment

<Isila> Luc... that's what she called Lucien. They were friends, yes.

<Enver> Lucien who?

<Isila> Lucien Versavel. He lived around the corner from us when they were children.

  • Enver nods

<Enver> I... I don't wanna cause you no further distress, ma'am. Thank you for tellin' me all that you did, anyway... I know it was prolly a shock, me showin' up by surprise.

<Isila> I'm just so ... so glad that you're all right, Enver.

  • Isila gets up and will come over and sort of hesitantly offer to hug him
  • Enver hugs back

<Isila> Is this your... wife?

  • Isila asks of you

<Enver> My ... well, someday, yeah. This is Denise, she's my girl.

  • Denise waves

<Isila> Thank you for coming

  • Isila says to both of you

<Isila> Where are you staying while you're here? How long are you in town for?

<Denise> We

<Denise> are here for maybe a week more?

<Enver> We got a hotel to stay at... an' yeah, I guess we're here for a few more days, maybe a week?

<Denise> depends on some other business, I guess

  • Isila nods

<Isila> Please... if you would... come back before you leave?

<Enver> Sure, ma'am.

<Isila> You don't need to call me that... Would it ... would it be too strange to call me Gran?

<Enver> .... that'd be good. Gran.

  • Enver says, trying it out
  • Isila gives him another hug before you go

Lathra learns of The Cyst from a visiting Shadar-kai priest, Ranighar

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra, you are at the temple, though not at service time - taking a few minutes to meditate or center yourself after some difficult days.

  • Lathra tries not to think about the many other things she -should- could be doing

<DiablotinNarrator> Even though no ceremony is going on, there are still a few people around - some of your fellow priests, others worshipers coming for private sessions or counselling or to engage in their own reflective prayers and quiet thought

<Lathra> . o (It's nice to just be around people doing something for themselves for a change)

<DiablotinNarrator> Your attempts at peaceful, grounded thoughts are disrupted, though, by a slight squeal of excitement and footsteps running across the temple's stone floors.

  • Lathra fails to stop herself from peeking at the disturbance

<DiablotinNarrator> One of the young priestesses, Eletyl, is hurrying towards a tall, black-haired man in a simple traditional robe, and giving him a hug

<DiablotinNarrator> When you look over, you see that it's someone you know - Ranighar, a priest from back home, who was one of the people who was instrumental in your conversion.

<Eletyl> You actually came to visit!

<Ranighar> I promised I would, didn't I?

  • Ranighar and Eletyl are speaking in shadar-kai, as probably doesn't need saying ;)

<Lathra> . o (:o)

<Ranighar> It's so... bright.

<Eletyl> It takes a while to get used to...

  • Lathra listens, trying to decide when/whether to intrude

<Eletyl> Is everything all right at home?

  • Eletyl asks, realizing that maybe he has some other reason for visiting apart from just curiosity or wanting to see friends

<Ranighar> Well... the situation is difficult, as always. Your mother is well, if that was what you were worrying about.

  • Ranighar says a little bit evasively, but trying to put her mind at ease
  • Eletyl nods
  • Ranighar looks around the temple and spots you, smiling
  • Lathra waves!

<Ranighar> Lathra, it's so good to see you again :)

  • Lathra sweeps over

<Lathra> Ranighar! It is a delightful surprise, I assure you!

  • Eletyl also smiles, stepping aside slightly
  • Ranighar offers you a hug
  • Lathra accepts it, then moves to include Eletyl into the gathering

<Lathra> Perhaps we might find somewhere less disturbing to have a reunion, if I'm welcome to join you both...?

<Eletyl> Of course! What if we step into the refreshment room, and we can have some tea

<Ranighar> That would be wonderful, thank you

<Lathra> Oh I *adore* tea, yes please!

  • Eletyl will lead the way to the smaller room off the main hall, where people tend to go for post-ceremony snacks and cool-down, but which is empty right now

<Eletyl> I'll put some on... you sit :)

  • Lathra sits
  • Ranighar does as well. He looks somewhat tired, although certainly glad to see people.

<Lathra> Did you just arrive today, Rani d-... ear?

  • Lathra stumbles over her affectation, as Ranighar would certainly have never heard her speak that way exactly.

<Ranighar> Yes, earlier... I found my way here without too much trouble, thankfully.

<Ranighar> How have you been doing?

<Lathra> Oh my, it's been a whirlwind... but I'm doing well, very well.

<Lathra> I do *like* it here so.

<Ranighar> I'm very glad to hear it. It certainly seems like the temple here is quite successful - or at least, it's quite visible, which may be a different thing.

  • Ranighar 's own home temple is entirely underground and accessible only by hidden trap-door, so his standards of 'visible' may be different ;)

<Lathra> It's certainly trendy, and seems to be resonating with the congregation...

<Ranighar> Do you get many humans as well, or mostly our people? I know they have their own ... version... of things.

<Lathra> Well, if you're talking about the temple here, I've certainly seen a few, and I personally minister to several.

  • Ranighar nods

<Ranighar> It's truly wonderful to come to a place where our faith can be practiced openly, without fear.

<Lathra> Isn't it though!

<Ranighar> I could never stay here... but it's a very refreshing break. And a chance to imagine how things might be at home eventually.

<Lathra> I never thought I'd see the day you took a vacation, Rani

  • Lathra smirks
  • Ranighar smiles as well, but turns more serious

<Ranighar> It isn't completely a vacation, I'm afraid. I was hoping to speak with other priests here, and see if ... well. If certain signs and visions are corroborated.

<Lathra> Oh... oh?

<Ranighar> Well... I'm a little troubled, to be honest.

<Ranighar> A number of our followers at home have been reporting unusually consistent visions. I tried to chalk it up to perhaps concerns about the political situation there, but lately I feel it may not be about that.

<Lathra> Ooooooooh?

<Ranighar> The reports concern what I assume are symbols... visions of windows shattering or walls collapsing or fences giving way.

  • Lathra is listening intently, clearly personally interested

<Ranighar> I wanted to try and interpret them in a hopeful way - perhaps as signs that the barriers in front of us would at last be removed, with changes to the Irrdin'errin

<Ranighar> But none of those who I spoke to who've received these insights felt that it was a positive sign. The visions tend to go on to have... unpleasant outcomes.

<Ranighar> A window breaks and black ooze comes spilling in to overwhelm the viewer, or a wall caves in and tendrils reach out to grab them

<Ranighar> that sort of thing

<Lathra> We have had a rash of unpleasant dreams here too, all connected to each other.

<Ranighar> oh?

<Lathra> They concerned forests, and a place called Seda Grove, and were, in the end, connected to an ongoing resurgence of ancient fae creatures trying to return to this world.

<Lathra> To make a rather longer story short.

<Ranighar> hm.

<Lathra> "Breaking down barriers" is a rather apt metaphor, although the breaching has thus far been done in the form of oversized trees.

<Ranighar> Before I came here, I paid a visit to a friend... a librarian at the great library in Llorfir. I asked if he could look up some materials there that might help.

<Lathra> I will admit that it's all a bit much... any help would be gratefully accepted.

<Ranighar> I particularly wanted to know about a term that came up in several of these people who reported visions, or speaking with the voice of the god through them

<Ranighar> 'The Cyst'

<Lathra> Oh! I have heard of that!

<Ranighar> you have?

<Lathra> It seems to be the source of some sort of... corruption, or sickness, affecting the faerie realm. That's part of why they're trying to get back here, you see.

<Lathra> We had occasion to speak to a personage of some import from that land, and that's my understanding of what she told us.

<Ranighar> so it may be related, then, to the troubles you mentioned

<Ranighar> My friend was able to find some materials, at any rate, although I don't know how helpful they might be

<Ranighar> He asked if I was coming here anyway, whether I could see my way to bringing copies of them to his brother.

<Lathra> Who is he, this friend of yours? Did you find his brother?

<Ranighar> Oh! His name is Serhyl Orecalo. He actually has quite a number of brothers, but the one he was hoping to get word to is Xandhil.

<Ranighar> But no, I haven't found his home yet.

<Lathra> Oh! I can help you with that, too!

<Ranighar> Well, wonderful! I'm doubly glad I ran into you, then :)

<Lathra> M. Orecalo was instrumental in our own research into this issue. Perhaps putting the brothers' heads together can help to clarify this picture!

<Ranighar> I certainly hope so.

  • Eletyl returns with the tea

<Lathra> Welcome back, Eletyl dear!

<Eletyl> Here we are!

<Lathra> Wonderful!

  • Ranighar will gratefully accept some tea and a chance to relax for a little bit before you whisk him off to Xan's office