Diablotin 3 session 2

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 2 Next

Summary

The Cabaret reopens; employees learn that the casualty was one Byran Dyess, a war hero. The saboteur Hettienne encountered was a type of fae called a quickling.

Session

Session date: October 19, 2014
Diablotin date: 8th of Ninth-month

Prologue

<DiablotinNarrator> After a week of repairs and rumours, Titania's is going to re-open tonight!

<DiablotinNarrator> Those of you who read the papers will know by this point that the man found dead in the club is being said to be Byran Dyess, count of Radstock and a noted hero of the Psyrene War.

<Hettienne> . o O (I fuckin' knew it!)

<DiablotinNarrator> However the precise circumstances of his death are being kept quiet, other than that he didn't die of natural causes.

<DiablotinNarrator> Before opening tonight, Titania gathers the staff together to speak to them.

  • Titania also has provided a little treat of some appetizers and drinks before the club opens, as thanks

<Titania> Thank you all for coming early - I wanted to have a moment to keep you informed about the ongoing investigation.

  • Titania stands on the stage as the rest of you stand or sit in the seats guests usually occupy

<Titania> The guards who are handling the unfortunate matter have let me know what I'm able to share with you.

  • Hettienne leans back in her seat with her glass of free wine.

<Titania> As you've probably heard by now, Byran Dyess was murdered - apparently drugged and then stabbed with a thin blade through the heart.

  • Lathra takes a fortified wine for her nerves
  • Hugonel tries to remain stone-faced.
  • Aubrienne just looks openly worried.
  • Gen forces herself to sip her wine rather than guzzle it.

<Titania> The guard have questioned his companion, and I know several of you have also spoken with them. They will also wish to speak to any others who had dealings with them that evening, so if you did, please contact me afterwards.

<Titania> The other ... unfortunate incidents that took place... they are not treating as a criminal matter, but as supernatural mischief.

  • Zola looks incredulous

<Hettienne> <m> Riiiiight

<Titania> The body of the creature that has been deemed responsible has been taken to the Castalia and identified as a quickling, which I am given to understand is some kind of fae creature known for creating just such mayhem.

<Titania> They're very rare in the city, but apparently we're lucky enough to have found one.

<Hettienne> . o O (some luck!)

<Titania> In fact, the suspicion is that there may have been more than one involved, given the timing of some of the incidents and the scale of the troubles.

<Hugonel> And our Psyrene songbird? What of her?

<Titania> So keep your eyes open for any more of that sort of thing, and obviously report anything to Geff or to whoever in security is available

  • Titania turns to Hugo

<Titania> She hasn't been seen since that night. The guards believe that, fearing that she might be the target of anti-Psyrene violence, she is in hiding. They're still engaged in searching for her to question her.

<Titania> The vandalism and destruction could have scared her into thinking someone was trying to sabotage her performance.

<Hugonel> Hmm. Well, their belief notwithstanding, the fact that they are looking for her is a good sign. But I have reason to think she may be far more dangerous than we presumed. She ensorcelled me, just before the show, and although she didn't do anything untoward - it is peculiar.

<DiablotinNarrator> There is some mild snickering among the staff at the word 'ensorcelled' :p

<Zola> Oh, but of course if the mischief and the murder are unconnected, surely the Psyrene songbird must be too

  • Zola says sarcastically.
  • Aubrienne a fair bit of that snickering is from Aubrienne

<Hugonel> Laugh if you must - I would not be laughing if one of you had been charmed and taken.

<Neva> I'd just like to add that we have all that wine that was tampered with secured now, and the delivery driver has some story about being knocked out.

  • Lathra cannot resist a little snicker at "and taken"

<Neva> And that doesn't sound like fae messing around.

<Neva> That stuff is pretty good, by the way - we could sell it as a special, it doesn't actually do any lasting damage

<Titania> Thanks for that, Neva.

  • Gen just doesn't understand how so many people can be ruled by their loins.

<Titania> Well, I know you're all very busy and have to get ready for tonight, so I won't keep you any longer. I know there was some concern about pay, and I want to assure you that I value your help and support during this difficult time.

<Titania> Your pay will be short 4 days' worth, not the full week. It's the best I can do.

  • Gen is glad she gets full pay for having worked at cleaning up.

<DiablotinNarrator> There is a bit of murmuring at that, but snacks and drinks help (mostly) smooth things over ;p

  • Hettienne makes a mental note to get another glass before she leaves >.>
  • Zola is unruffled, being rather comfortable all things considered

<Hugonel> What about the longer-term impact on business?

<Hugonel> Are we doing anything to allay natural fears of our clientele?

<Titania> Going on as normal and hoping.

<Hugonel> But perhaps I should lay off the Psyrene jokes in my monologue?

  • Titania rolls her eyes slightly at you

<Titania> Just use good judgment - you have that, right? ;p

<Gen> <mutter> Doubtful.

  • Hugonel shoots a look at Gen.

<Hugonel> I shall, as always, endeavor to entertain and amuse without offence to any.

<Hettienne> <m> Me-ow...

<Zola> Maybe you should try to lure Eirini out with a few choice digs.

<Titania> All right - thank you for your time, and enjoy the rest of the food. And if you have anything you need to report, you can bring it to me privately, or to Geff.

  • Zola quips to Hugo. "What do you call a Psyrene songbird who's escaped her cage?"

<Zola> "Fucking bitch."

  • Hugonel laughs loudly.

<Hugonel> Oh, you are *naughty*!

  • Hettienne chuckles as well.
  • Gen looks embarrassed that she said that loud enough anyone could hear. D:

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay - you guys can talk in #gnomeland if you want to continue chatting ;)

<Lathra> Titiana... I understand that there's not much to be done to protect us from the tides of human politics, but is there nothing we can do to ward the place against mischievous magic?

<DiablotinNarrator> (oh okay)

<Lathra> I suppose it would be expensive...

<Titania> I'm not sure what we could have done in this case... but I'll look into the matter.

<Lathra> If it's really that rare I suppose it mightn't be worth it. It was just an idea.

  • Titania nods

<Titania> It's worth considering, especially if we have any signs that it might be a recurring problem.

<Dorien_Voclain> ...

Argent

<DiablotinNarrator> The re-opening goes smoothly, all things considered, and you make it home sometime around dawn to fall into bed.

<Argent> (yeah sleep)

<DiablotinNarrator> You have a meeting planned with Briony later in the day, so you do have to wake up again before you've had quite as much rest as you'd like, though

<DiablotinNarrator> You normally meet with her in a café or a park or somewhere outside both the club and your apartment, in order to avoid attracting suspicion.

<Argent> (of course)

  • Briony will be at the café, since it's raining today. She has a cup of coffee waiting for you, given that she knows your work schedule.
  • Argent smiles as he sits down

<Argent> Thank you for the coffee

  • Briony is in her late 20s, with long brown hair tied back in a sensible bun.

<Briony> No problem. Late night?

  • Argent warms his hands on the mug

<Argent> Busy enough since the place had been closed for a week

<Briony> Right - that's mainly what I wanted to talk about

<Argent> I am not surprised

<Briony> What happened the other night at the club? I mean really happened, not what they're reporting in the papers.

<Argent> Several things...

  • Briony nods, listening
  • Argent proceeds to tell her about the quickling, the murder, the missing Psyren singer, and even the presence of the two princes that night
  • Briony makes a few notes, listening carefully to all you say

<Argent> and of course there was the ambushed shipment of spiked wine.

<Briony> So do you think it's all connected?

<Argent> Its possible its not all connected but it seems like quite a few coincidences.

  • Briony nods

<Briony> So far signs point to fae, though, not outsiders?

  • Argent nods

<Briony> Not that fae are anything to sneeze at...

<Argent> I know im supposed to be broadening my knowledge into the various enemies, but fae I haven't really looked at before.

<Briony> Not my area of expertise either - I'll be doing some research.

<Argent> They die when you shoot them... hope that helps.

<Briony> That's always helpful :)

<Briony> If it was connected, then presumably the purpose was to cause distractions so that the murder could be carried out.

<Argent> there definitly was plenty of distraction

  • Briony nods

<Briony> And plenty of people who would have wanted Dyess dead.

<Argent> seems like alot of work though, setting it all up.

<Argent> was the place just as important as the act?

<Briony> Well, you use the resources you have at hand, I guess.

<Briony> Maybe they wanted it done in public, to make a scene.

<Argent> they at least succeeded at that.

<Argent> Is there anything else I can help you with?

  • Briony considers

<Argent> anyone specific you want me to keep an eye on?

<Briony> Well, the 'war hero' might have pissed off someone at the club. Like I said, there are plenty of folks who'd be happy to see him snuff it, so...

  • Briony sighs

<Briony> It's not really our area, but it's .. kind of personal for me.

<Argent> I'd be glad to help in any way I can

  • Briony nods

<Briony> I appreciate it.

<Briony> My brother died at Seda Grove, under Dyess's command.

<DiablotinNarrator> (that name sort of rings a bell - some battle in the war)

<Briony> So I can see why someone - not me, but someone like me, maybe - would want him dead.

<Briony> Other vets working there, say, might have been glad to take a shot at him.

<Argent> a dagger through the heart feels up close and personal

  • Briony nods

<Briony> Someone wanted to see him die.

<Briony> And for him to know who was doing it to him before he went.

  • Briony sighs again, like she is reluctant to tell this story, but she has to.

<Argent> thats a mistake, isnt it... couldn't a priest just speak with dead to find out who it was.

<Argent> of course if he didn't know them, it may not help

  • Argent answers his own question

<Briony> If the family will let them, also.

<Briony> I don't know if they've done that yet.

<Briony> I'll tell you what I know, anyway.

<Briony> Dyess's troops had a bunch of Psyrenes holed up in this wood in a valley. Big, old trees - couldn't hardly see through them, I guess, but they knew they were in there.

<Briony> Had themselves a little siege there for a while, hoping to starve them out, but the slicks knew the terrain better, and soldiers kept getting picked off - they'd be on watch and someone'd find them dead in the morning, that sort of thing.

<Briony> I've talked to a few folks who were there... the stories get confused, but there was some weird stuff going on there. People talked about hearing voices, or even music, when there wasn't anyone there.

<Briony> I mean, I've been on patrol so long I've thought I heard things sometimes too, but more than one person mentioned it, so I don't know.

<Briony> They said the woods were haunted, there were stories about people going in and never coming back out, even though the whole damn thing couldn't have been more than a mile square...

<Briony> So Dyess got fed up and ordered them to burn it down.

<Briony> And that's when it all went to shit, pardon my language.

<Briony> The fire spread towards them, opposite from how the wind was blowing. Some magic at work, but whatever it was, twenty-four of our soldiers died.

<Briony> They gave him a medal because otherwise they'd have to admit how wrong things went.

  • Briony finishes, taking a sip of her now-cool coffee
  • Argent shakes his head

<Briony> I don't know if that has anything to do with why he died - maybe he cheated on his girlfriend or something equally mundane.

<Argent> I don't understand politics and I'm glad I was running the streets instead of fighting in a war.

  • Briony smiles a bit at that

<Briony> Sometimes it's preferable, yeah.

<Argent> Maybe its better this guy is dead and we just let it drop.

<Briony> I don't work that way, I'm afraid.

<Briony> 'Let it drop' isn't my idiom.

<Briony> So if you come across anything else related, or even just odd, let me know.

<Argent> I will

  • Briony leaves a couple silver for you to get yourself a lunch or something, and then heads off.

Hettie and Denise

<DiablotinNarrator> You are just sitting down for some lunch (or maybe it's breakfast for you...) when there's a knock at your door

<Denise> I'll get it :D

  • Denise hops up and will go see who it is
  • Hettienne stays with her precious coffee.
  • Mikel is at the door, and you can tell by the look on his face that he's upset/annoyed about something
  • Denise starts by smiling then looks concerned

<Denise> What's up?

  • Denise swings open the door so Mikel can come in

<Hettienne> Who is it?

<Mikel_> Why is Da so... ugh, Da.

  • Hettienne calls from the kitchen.

<Denise> what?

  • Mikel_ asks rhetorically as he comes in

<Denise> It's Mikel!

  • Denise calls back

<Denise> what did he do?

<Hettienne> C'mon back here, boy, I'm too lazy to get up.

  • Denise asks, leading her brother into the kitchen

<Mikel_> is there food?

<Denise> yes!

<Denise> you want some coffee?

  • Mikel_ asks, looking around hopefully because he's a 15 year old boy

<Mikel_> sure, that'd be great

  • Denise will fix him a plate

<Hettienne> Set yourself down.

  • Mikel_ flops crankily into a chair

<Hettienne> What's eating you, kid?

  • Hettienne asks over her mug.

<Mikel_> He just doesn't understand *anything*

<Denise> Da, apparently :/

  • Hettienne snorts.

<Hettienne> What's his problem now?

<Mikel_> He wants me to get a real job an' help out more

<Mikel_> Like what I'm doin' ain't a real job!

  • Denise makes a dace

<Denise> (face)

<Hettienne> He don't know from nothin', honey.

<Denise> no he don't >:|

<Denise> Like, he won't take anything I give but he wasn't you to stop training and ruin your life?

<Hettienne> He don't think you're helpin' folk enough? Hah.

<Mikel_> He don't think the folk I'm helpin' are the folk that matter the most.

<Hettienne> Ugh. Says him.

<Hettienne> Ass.

  • Denise looks slightly uncertian

<Denise> he means like - family, right?

<Mikel_> Yeah

<Denise> I meabn - you;re helpin' mam, that's not enough?

  • Denise gets huffy again

<Mikel_> An' ... he's already mad at me anyway... 'cause of other stuff...

<Hettienne> What stuff?

<Denise> what?

<Mikel_> uh stuff... like this friend of mine...

  • Mikel_ shoves some bread in his mouth

<Denise> friieeeeeend?

<Mikel_> shut up

<Hettienne> Hah!

<Denise> who? :D

  • Mikel_ says through his mouthful of food

<Hettienne> Anyone we know?

<Mikel_> prolly not... he's not Rat, so...

<Denise> eh?

  • Denise 's eyebrows go up

<Mikel_> I just mean, he's not from 'round home

<Hettienne> Where you know him from?

<Hettienne> And what's Pat's beef?

<Mikel_> His name's Romain. He's got a place over in Pearl, an' Da says he's a 'bad influence' :p

<Hettienne> Heard *that* before.

  • Denise shrugs

<Mikel_> yeah...

<Denise> >.>

<Hettienne> He cute?

<Denise> he just don't like us havin' friends at all :p

<Denise> where did you meeet him?

<Mikel_> uh ... yeah, he's cute

  • Mikel_ looks wholly embarrassed to be having this conversation at all
  • Hettienne gives no fucks

<Mikel_> met him 'cause he's got a job delivering telegrams, an' he brought one to Mme. Silvia.

<Hettienne> So how's that a bad influence, 'zactly?

<Denise> tha's cool

<Hettienne> He afraid you gonna turn into a mailman?

<Mikel_> 'cause he lives at a, uh, brothel

<Mikel_> well not *at* it

<Mikel_> like he doesn't work there!

<Mikel_> but like... his sister does, so he crashes there some

<Denise> He don't work for the Corriveaux, do he? >.>

<Mikel_> I don't think so?

<Denise> okay

<Denise> well that don't sound so bad to be, anyway

  • Denise sayes decisively

<Hettienne> So he's holdin what this fella's *sister* does to survive against him>

<Hettienne> What a buncha hooey.

  • Mikel_ nods glumly

<Hettienne> Pat needs to pull his head out.

<Hettienne> But what else is new.

  • Hettienne grimaces.

<Denise> You shoudl tell him you can get a job doin' telegrams too ;p

<Mikel_> You could say somethin' to him maybe...

  • Denise looks at Mikel like he grew another head

<Denise> Like Da's ever gonna listen to anything Aunt Hettie says

<Denise> unless, like, she syas h's right

<Hettienne> Yeah, that ain't happenin.

<Denise> then he'll change his tune :p

<Hettienne> Hah.

<Hettienne> Might be I could talk to Thierry though.

<Mikel_> yeah?

<Hettienne> He's the only one what Pat listens to.

<Hettienne> And Thierry listens to me, so...

  • Denise nods

<Hettienne> No promises, kiddo... but I'll try.

<Denise> :/

<Denise> Da's just worried, he's just kinda dumb about it is all.

<Mikel_> just tell him that... I ain't changin' who I am or what's important to me, an' I wanna do what's right for th family, but he can't keep me from havin' friends

<Hettienne> Damn right.

<Denise> yeah :)

<Hettienne> Pat ain't never learned how to bend.

<Hettienne> One day, he's gonna break.

  • Mikel_ sighs

<Denise> :|

<Mikel_> You got any more of that jam?

<Hettienne> Sorry kids. Sometime I forget he's still yer Da.

<Hettienne> Yeah, 'course!

<Mikel_> thanks, Aunt Hettie :)

<Hettienne> Anytime, honey. Yer always welcome here. :)

  • Denise will ask after mam and Yvie, etc :3

<Mikel_> yeah, well.. if he kicks me out, I might take you up on that >.>

<Denise> he can't

<Denise> Mam won't let 'im

<Hettienne> She's got sense, at least.

<Hettienne> You talk to *her* about this?

<Mikel_> I didn't wanna worry her

<Denise> if you're fighting with da, she's already worried and she just won't know why :p

<Hettienne> Yeah.

<Mikel_> you're prolly right :/

<Denise> oh trust me, I know :p

<Mikel_> is she gonna be upset too though?

<Hettienne> ABout what?

<Hettienne> There ain't nothin to be upset about!

<Denise> SHe'll be upset about you and da'm but I dunno, I don't think she'll mind about Romain?

<Denise> and she's got more sense 'n to say you need a real job

<Mikel_> yeah, about that...

<Denise> she'll way have your back on that

  • Mikel_ nods

<Denise> you know how proud of you she is!

  • Mikel_ manages a slight smile at that

<Hettienne> She's gotta know that runs in our family, between me an' Serge-Yves.

<Mikel_> at least I ain't gonna get some girl knocked up and marry her before I'm 20 :p

<Denise> >.>

  • Hettienne chuckles.

<Denise> I still like... I kinda blame Gran for that, you know? :p

<Mikel_> I don't think it's a bad thing, like he shoulda done something different...

<Mikel_> I just mean, it ain't like any of us can afford it, you know?

<Denise> yeah :|

<Mikel_> Sorry :/

<Denise> naw, it's okay

<Denise> we're gonna be alright

<Denise> just you see :)

  • Mikel_ nods

<Mikel_> I know I ain't ever gonna make a lot of money as a channel.. but I feel like I'm doin' something important.

<Denise> So can we meet this Romain? ^_^

<Hettienne> It is important.

<Denise> yeah

<Mikel_> oh, uh... meet him? I guess so, sure.

<Denise> :D

<Mikel_> if you wanna feed us dinner, I can get him to come over, no problem ;)

<Denise> aww yeah, we can do that D:

<Denise> :D

<Mikel_> not tonight, but like... maybe in a few days. just lemme know when?

<Denise> okay!

<Hettienne> Great!

  • Hettienne grins.

<Hettienne> Promise we'll go easy on him. ;)

<Hettienne> Sorta. ;)

<Mikel_> heh

<Denise> more or less >:)

<Mikel_> I'll give him fair warning then ;)

<Mikel_> I should get on my way - thanks for the lunch

<Denise> okay - it was good to see you!

<Hettienne> Have a good one!

  • Denise stands up to see him off and give him a hug
  • Mikel_ hugs back
  • Mikel_ also grabs a couple more club-cookies before he leaves ;)

<Denise> (hee!)

<Denise> Well, I shoulda seen that coming I guess :3

  • Denise says after he's gone

<Hettienne> What? Mikel likin' fellas or Pat bein' an ass? :p

<Denise> both? :/

<Hettienne> Heh. Guess so.

<Denise> Dad shoul leave him alone - he can pick on me more, I can takie it >:|

<Hettienne> He had t'find a new target since you left. >:|

<Denise> :/

<Denise> he ain't *that* bad

<Denise> just you know, like you said

<Denise> he ain't good at ebnding

<Denise> and everything's been so different all the time sine Mam got hurt

<Hettienne> Your mam's tough, though.

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> but its like.... I dunno :/

<Denise> its good but also harder on her in some ways?

<Denise> not bein' able to do for herself so much :/

<Hettienne> Yeah.

<Hettienne> That'd drive me batty.

<Denise> yeah, me too :/

<Denise> it's scary

<Hettienne> But like, a lot of folk 'd just roll over.

<Denise> ywh

<Hettienne> Yer mam's found a whole new thing.

<Denise> (yeah)

  • Denise nods

<Denise> yeah.

<Denise> And like - that's good for her but I think... I dunno

<Denise> just everythin' all different, like I said

<Hettienne> Yeah. And Pat don't do change.

<Denise> no :/

<Denise> he'll be alright, I guess

<Denise> We're all atough bunch

<Denise> but I wish he wodln't take it out on Mikey

<Hettienne> Yeah.

Dorien and Gen

<DiablotinNarrator> Meanwhile at Dorien's....

<Dorien> >.>

<DiablotinNarrator> Dorien, you've been working on the bottle that you and Denise recovered from the dumpster

<DiablotinNarrator> (is that right? ;)

<Dorien> (Indeed)

<DiablotinNarrator> ('kk)

<Dorien> (Trying to isolate the drug and see if I can replicate it)

<DiablotinNarrator> okay - make me a craft: alchemy check, then

<Dorien> (I believe I have an alchemical item that helps with that)

<Dorien> (k)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay :)

<DiablotinNarrator> (if you want to use that, that's cool)

<Dorien> !roll 1d20+9

  • Zola rolls for Dorien_Voclain: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 14 ].

<Dorien> (I forget the exact effects of the item, let me look it up

<DiablotinNarrator> 'k

<Dorien> (Hmmm, it's made to be used with potions and alchemist extracts, not sure how it would work with drugs or poisons. Here's the link: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/formula-alembic)

<DiablotinNarrator> I guess it depends if this is something that's on the alchemist extract list, so lemme look there

<Dorien> kk

<DiablotinNarrator> It's not, unfortunately. So, just going off your alchemy check, you are having some difficulties. The sample might have been contaminated by its time in the trash, and in general there isn't enough of the sample left to draw a firm conclusion :/ If you could get hold of a full bottle, though, you have confidence that you could do better.

<Dorien> *nod*

<DiablotinNarrator> (or even one with more than dregs left in it :)

<Dorien> (k :) )

<DiablotinNarrator> You do fortunately have a connection with someone who might clear tables.... ;)

<Dorien> (I do!)

<DiablotinNarrator> So, I assume you head to your usual place at the bar tonight? (this would be the second night after the club has re-opened)

<Dorien> yes

  • Neva is at the bar as usual as well

<Dorien_Voclain> Hello, Neva

<Neva> Hey, Dorien - busy night?

<Dorien> I'm hoping so.

<Neva> At least the taps are working right, so you don't have to go on a dungeon crawl to get a beer ;)

<Dorien> Ha

  • Neva offers you one

<Dorien> Yeah, I think I'll be staying out of the basement for a while.

<Dorien> Oh... thanks.

<Neva> on the house - I felt bad for getting you shanked by a fairy

  • Dorien will always accept a free beer
  • Dorien smiles

<Dorien> Not your fault

<Dorien> But I appreciate it.

<Neva> Well, I appreciate you being willing to help out - it isn't your job, after all

  • Dorien shrugs "I don't mind helping out if I'm needed. I do mind getting shanked, though. ussually."

<Neva> Understandable

<Dorien> Hey, I was wondering... did you still have any of that drugged wine left?

<Neva> oh, yeah - most of a whole case of it

<Neva> well - I haven't checked every bottle. but they look the same, anyway.

<Dorien> Do you think I could have a bottle of it? I'll buy it off you if you want.

  • Neva looks kind of uncertain

<Dorien> I just want to see if I can find out what it was spiked with.

<Dorien> Nothing sinister.

<Neva> Tits was wanting to keep it off the menu for now - just worried about what it could do

<Neva> But you could find that out, I guess?

<Dorien> Yeah, that's the hope.

<Neva> wellll... if one went missing, probably no one would notice

  • Neva calls Gen over

<Neva> Gen, can you do me a favour?

  • Dorien_Voclain grins. "Thanks, neva, you're the best."

<Gen> If it's not going to get me fired.

<Neva> Nah, not by me anyway.

  • Gen raises an eyebrow but says nothing.
  • Gen stays to listen, though.

<Neva> Can you run back to the vault and get a bottle of that drugged wine for M. Voclain here?

  • Neva offers you her keys
  • Gen glances at her cousin, then takes the keys and nods.

<Gen> (I assume we bussers do sometimes get sent to the vault for more booze, but just want to confirm that's the case? I have no rogue levels yet.)

  • Gen heads towards the vault.

<DiablotinNarrator> Well, normally regular booze would be kept in the wine racks behind the bar, or in storage downstairs, and not locked up in the vault - this is a bit unusual in that case. But it would be usual to have you guys get another crate of wine if the bar ran out or something like that, that's not too odd.

<DiablotinNarrator> It's mostly the keys + vault that make this situation out of the ordinary

<Gen> (Yeah...)

  • Gen is a good soldier, though... :P

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, you head through the kitchen and up to the heavy steel door of the vault

  • Gen doesn't think much of it since she was told by a superior to do this task.
  • Gen inserts the key in the lock and opens it up.

<DiablotinNarrator> You head into the vault. It's lined with shelves, and there's a large safe where you assume the money is kept.

  • Gen leaves the safe alone, and looks for bottles of wine.

<DiablotinNarrator> You can find them easily - the large crate of wine bottles is pretty hard to miss, and it's open already of course. There's also something else odd sitting, leaning against the wall, though.

  • Gen looks at it but doesn't touch it.

<DiablotinNarrator> It's a wooden staff, carved with leaves and vines, with a metal cap on the end. It looks slightly fire-blackened.

  • Gen thinks it is rather out of place here but leaves it alone.

<Gen> . o O (None of my business what the boss keeps in here.)

  • Gen grabs a bottle of wine and goes.

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, locking up behind you I assume?

<Gen> (Yes)

<DiablotinNarrator> 'k

  • Gen heads back to the bar and hands the keys and the bottle over to Neva.

<Neva> Thanks, Gen

  • Neva puts the keys back at her belt, and hands the bottle to Dorien

<Gen> Do either of you know why there would be a staff in the vault?

<Dorie> Thanks, hopefully this will help

<Dorien> ...a staff?

  • Dorie raises an eyebrow

<Neva> Staff are only supposed to be in the vault if they have a good reason.

  • Gen nods.

<Gen> A wooden staff.

  • Gen clarifies for the stupid.

<Dorien> ("A wooden staff? Like our warforged bouncer?")

<Neva> Sometimes things get confiscated from patrons, and they put them in the vault for safe-keeping. Could be something like that?

  • Gen nods, accepting this explanation.

<Neva> Although who walks around with a staff these days? It's not the dark ages...

  • Neva shrugs, though
  • Dorien shrugs. "I think my mom still uses one sometimes..."

<Gen> It was pretty, but it had been slightly burned.

<Neva> Weird...

<Dorien> Very odd.

<Neva> Anyway - back to work, you can wonder about it later.

  • Neva says to Gen, since she can't actually order Dorien to work ;)
  • Dorien stashes the bottle under the bar for now
  • Gen nods and goes to wipe off tables.

<Dorien> Thanks again for the bottle. If you need any help or anything tonight, let me know. As long as it's not in the basement.

  • Neva chuckles

<Neva> No problem - I owed you one, anyway.,

  • Neva gets called over to make some mixed drinks for a loud and giggly party of girls out on the town
  • Dorien sets to work pimping his concoctions

<DiablotinNarrator> You can probably sell the bachelorette party on some of your more festive wares ;)

<Dorien> (heeee)

Hugo

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo, there's a ceremony at the church this morning - if you want to try to stay awake for it ;)

<Hugonel> (sure!)

  • Hugonel will try not to look too bleary-eyed.

<DiablotinNarrator> You aren't the only one who looks like they had a late night, don't worry

<DiablotinNarrator> The ceremonies happen at varying times of the day, and the morning ones are usually the most sparsely-attended.

  • Sirris is there to greet people, as usual

<Sirris> Hugo, welcome

<Hugonel> Thank you. It's good to see you.

<Sirris> You as well - how are you doing?

<Hugonel> I'm well. Very busy at work, as always. And perhaps you heard about the little incident the other day?

<Sirris> I'm afraid I didn't. What happened?

<Hugonel> Ah, there was a bit of mischief, some sort of distraction, and in the chaos, the Count of Radstock was killed. I'm afraid I can't say too much more. They're still investigating.

<Sirris> How awful!

<Hugonel> Yes, it was very disturbing.

  • Sirris probably has no idea who that is, other than 'someone important' >.>

<Sirris> You are all right, though?

<Hugonel> Oh yes, I'm fine.

<Sirris> That's good, at least.

<Sirris> If you're troubled by what happened, you can always speak with me about it, or another of the priests if you prefer.

<Hugonel> Thank you, Sirris. That puts my spirit at ease, just knowing that.

<Hugonel> Are we expecting a large group this morning?

<Sirris> Probably not many more than this - on such a dreary morning, I think some people would rather stay in.

<Hugonel> Alas.

<Hugonel> How are things with you?

<Sirris> I have been sleeping poorly lately, but nothing too serious.

<Hugonel> I have the same difficulty sometimes. My mind, it races.

  • Sirris nods

<Sirris> Well, I should greet the others - blessings of Serpent on you, Hugo, and I'll speak with you later.

<Hugonel> Of course.

  • Hugonel smiles warmly and goes off to see who else might be around.

<DiablotinNarrator> You see that Lucette Voclain is there, already seated on her mat on the ground, but not seemingly lost in meditation yet

  • Hugonel will sit down next to Lucette, then.

<Hugonel> Hello, Lucette.

<Lucette> oh, good morning, Hugo

<Lucette> I haven't seen you for a while, how are things?

<Hugonel> I'm well, and you?

<Lucette> Quite well, thanks.

<Lucette> I'm giving a talk at the Castalia next week.

<Hugonel> Oh? On what subject?

<Lucette> Well, it's part of my research addressing Prof. Orecalo's work on sorcerer bloodlines. I believe I've been able to identify a previously-undiscovered one.

<Hugonel> Which one is that?

<Lucette> I guess you'll just have to come to the talk and find out ;)

<Hugonel> I will! And of course, you should come by to the cabaret more often, when you're not hobnobbing with the intellectual elite of the city. I'm sure that Dorien would be happy ... as would I.

  • Hugonel smiles warmly.
  • Lucette smiles back, blushing a little

<Lucette> I'd like that - I'll see what I can do, although I'm so busy these days with work...

<Hugonel> Well, I tell you what, I will come, honestly. It is so easy, with matters at work, to neglect my own scholarship.

<Hugonel> And then I will see you there, and remind you of the tremendous burden of coming and having a complimentary drink at Titania's.

  • Lucette chuckles

<Lucette> All right, I'll look forward to it.

<DiablotinNarrator> Thera Rademacher, also looking like maybe she hasn't slept yet tonight, will sweep her way over to sit beside you, Hugo

<Hugonel> . o O (You sit next to one, you get them all, you sly dog.)

<Thera> Hugo, darling, so lovely to see you!

<Hugonel> Thera! I had hardly expected such a great pleasure! How wonderful!

<Thera> Oh, well, I was on my way home from a friend's house and I suddenly recalled that there was a ceremony this morning, so I had the driver turn around.

  • Thera says with an airy wave of her hand

<Hugonel> Of course, of course, it's so difficult to keep track of all our obligations. How have you been?

<Thera> Oh, I can't complain - well, I could, but it would be *tedious*, so I shan't.

  • Thera says with a smile

<Hugonel> Is Tristan here also?

<Thera> No, not today - I gather he has managed to arrange some sort of visit with the Shadar-kai temple, and he's attending one of their ceremonies.

<Hugonel> Ah, I see.

<Thera> Oh, I'm reminded that I don't see you nearly enough, Hugo dear.

  • Thera puts an affectionate hand on your arm
  • Hugonel laughs.
  • Lucette gives her a slight.. glare?

<Hugonel> Of course.

<Thera> I say, would you like to come to a get-together next week? As my escort, of course.

<Thera> You can't work every single night, can you?

<Hugonel> A get-together, you say? Might I ask what kind of togetherness is to be gotten?

  • Thera laughs

<Thera> Whatever kind one wishes, I suppose!

<Thera> It's a little soirée Bright Rionet is hosting - you know he always has marvellous parties.

<Hugonel> Well, when you put it that way, how could I refuse?

<Thera> Splendid! :)

<Hugonel> I'll talk to the Princess. I'm sure she'll have no difficulty. It does her good to have me seen at these sorts of events now and again.

<Hugonel> And of course, in what fine company!

  • Thera gives you an 'oh you' smile

<Lucette> I hope it wouldn't interfere with your attending my talk, Hugo?

  • Lucette asks politely but maybe a bit coldly

<Hugonel> Well, I haven't found out the date for either of these events ...

<Lucette> The 18th

<Thera> The 18th

<Hugonel> Ah. At what time?

  • Hugonel asks, dreading the trap into which he has just fallen.

<Lucette> 7pm

<Thera> Whatever time we wish to arrive, I suppose.

<Hugonel> Well, I'm sure that I can do both. It will make it easier - I'll only have to book the one night off!

  • Hugonel says hopefully.

<Lucette> Don't feel as though you need to inconvenience yourself, Hugo.

  • Lucette says dryly.

<Thera> Oh, by all means, go to the talk - we can meet afterwards

<Hugonel> There - it shall be no inconvenience whatsoever.

<Thera> 7pm would be a ghastly hour to arrive

<Hugonel> (can I do a k:nob to find the name of a noble who might, like me, have to go to both events?)

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+13

  • Zola rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 16 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> maybe one of the Silveira kids who is a sorcerer? they are probably expected to do some sorcery-sorts-of-things. that's Maxime and Camille)

<DiablotinNarrator> Certainly you think their father would be at the talk, but it would be a bit awkward for him to go to the party ;p

<Hugonel> Indeed - and when you think about it, there will surely be some others coming to both the talk and to the party. My dear cousin Maxime, perhaps? Do you know Maxime, Lucette?

<Lucette> Maxime Silveira? Yes, I know him in passing, at least.

<Hugonel> Well, then that's settled. I'll check with Max and Camille, as well, and make sure they're going. What a grand evening! Now I only must confront the most fearsome lady of all: the Princess herself!

<Thera> Delightful!

<Lucette> ... can't wait.

<DiablotinNarrator> The ceremony is looking like it is about to start soon, so the two women are obliged to settle down and Lucette confines herself to a few more glares.

  • Hugonel smiles warmly.

Zola

<DiablotinNarrator> Zola, it is far too early when you're awakened by your phone ringing

<DiablotinNarrator> *brrring*

<DiablotinNarrator> *brrring*

  • Zola reaches out to slap her alarm clock off the nightstand

<DiablotinNarrator> The sound keeps going, alas

  • Zola heaves herself up and struggles through her apartment to find the phone

<Zola> "Hello?"

<DiablotinNarrator> The operator's tinny voice says "Call for Mico Torvalle?"

<Zola> That's m- *ahem*

  • Zola pitches her voice down

<Zola> That's me.

<DiablotinNarrator> <Operator> One moment please

  • Hector 's familiar voice is at the other end of the line

<Hector> Mico, baby, how's it going?

  • Zola lets out a very tired sounding sigh.

<Zola> It was going great until I got woken up way too early in the morning.

<Zola> How are you doing, Hector?

<Hector> Oh, did I wake you? Sorry, but this couldn't wait

<DiablotinNarrator> You can practically hear his skinny little mustache vibrating with excitement

<Zola> Yeah, I know, the world seems to think daytime is just grand. What is it?

<Hector> I've got a gig lined up for you. Private party, lot of toffs, big payout.

<Zola> You know I don't like to do live shows, Hector.

<Hector> I know, but hear me out, baby. This could be a great opportunity for you!

<Zola> How is a private party better than the radio? The whole city can hear the radio.

<Hector> Because at the party you'll make as much as you can in a month from that little club

<Hector> And it looks good for us - for you.

<Hector> Exclusive live show, you know?

<Zola> I'm not in it for the money...

<Hector> Builds up interest, people can't wait to hear more!

  • Zola says, not exactly UNtempted.

<Zola> Is this party going to be in the papers?

<Hector> It'll be in the gossip rags, sure.

<Hector> Especially if someone gets in a fight, or falls out a window or something.

  • Hector senses that he's not entirely selling you on this...

<Zola> I'm just not sure this'll lead anywhere except more private parties. It's not like rich folk need to buy extra copies of the albums, right?

<Hector> Rich folk might get you to record a new album just because they liked your show so much, though

<Hector> Look, baby - if you do this, I'll see about getting something nice for Zola.

<Hector> Maybe a radio spot, or a single...

  • Hector wheedles

<Zola> How about you see about getting Mico's name in the paper associated with this party, and I'll do it.

<Zola> And you owe me one.

<Hector> No problem, sure, I can make that happen for you, kid

<Hector> And hey, who knows. I heard the brat hosting the shindig asked for Mico specially 'cause he thinks he's dreamy. You might find a patron there.

<Zola> You saved that for after I agreed on purpose, didn't you?

<Hector> ... I'm signing the papers right now

  • Zola sighs, thinking about how much close contact people are going to want with "Mico"

<Zola> When is it?

<Hector> 18th

<Zola> Alright. I'm going back to bed.

<Hector> Gotta run, honey, I'll send an errand boy around with the info and anything you need to sign

<Hector> So don't be asleep when he gets there!

  • Hector hangs up

<Zola> Great, I'll just sit here by the door.

  • Zola hangs up as well.

<Zola> Aaugh!

  • Bastien winds around your ankles, looking up at you with puzzlement

<Zola> Hey Professor.

<Bastien> *prr*

  • Zola picks him up and carries him to a couch to sit on.

<Zola> Guess I've gotta get all dolled down next week for a show.

<Bastien> *mr?*

<Zola> Yeah, some rich boy's party. Hector says he thinks I'm dreamy. He's going to be all clingy, I'm sure.

  • Bastien wrinkles his nose
  • Zola smiles and rubs faces with him

<Zola> Yeah, I'm going to have to tape my tits down too.

  • Zola sadfaces at him
  • Bastien puts his paws on your chest for more nose-rubs
  • Zola gives him some love and affection while she waits for the errand boy.
  • Bastien kneads on your boobs a bit, then settles down in your lap

<Zola> You could go in my plae y'know?

<Zola> We just need someone to polymorph you!

<Bastien> *mew*

<Zola> Professor Purrington, Singer Extraordinaire.

<Zola> :D

<DiablotinNarrator> The errand boy will arrive about an hour later, finally allowing you to sign the papers and get back to sleep... if you can.

  • Zola will try her best >_>

Aubrienne and Lathra

<DiablotinNarrator> There is a ceremony at the temple this evening, early enough that you could make it before the club opens and still get there in time.

  • Aubrienne will happily attend. It's been a rough week.

<DiablotinNarrator> When you arrive, Aubrienne, Elaknar is there speaking to a human man whom you recognize as Tristan Rademacher from the occasions you've attended the human branch of the church.

  • Lathra feels like a proper, big ceremony would do her good and help her to reconnect after the hectic week...

<Lathra> . o (I hope nobody gives me any shit, though)

<DiablotinNarrator> They're sort of standing awkwardly together, making stilted talk

  • Elaknar seems relieved to see Lathra and Aubrienne arriving

<Elaknar> <sk> Thank Serpent. Maybe you can talk with him.

  • Elaknar says to either or both of you

<Aubrienne> (Is there a title for a serpent priest?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (uh good question - I have a feeling there is, but I'm looking for it ;)

<Aubrienne> Good evening, Elaknar. And it's nice to see you here, [priest] Rademacher.

<Tristan_> Thank you - it's an honour to be welcomed

<Aubrienne> To what do we owe this visit?

<Elaknar> <sk> He wants to see how we fascinating foreigners do things.

<Lathra> ... greetings, [honorific]... I'd be happy to help?

  • Elaknar says dryly, apparently convinced he can't be understood by the human

<Elaknar> <sk> If you two could keep an eye on him and make sure he gets a little tour and doesn't get into trouble, I'd appreciate it.

  • Aubrienne gives Elaknar a slightly reproachful look, but nods

<Lathra> Oh, I'd be delighted!

<Aubrienne> <sk> I'd be happy to.

  • Tristan_ smiles
  • Lathra makes a polite flourish to Tristan

<Elaknar> <sk> I appreciate it

  • Elaknar will head off, then, leaving you two with Tristan

<Aubrienne> [Priest], have you had a chance to look around? Perhaps Lathra and I could show you the temple.

<Tristan_> THat would be great - thank you. I haven't seen anything beyond the doorway so far.

<Lathra> Well, come along inside!

<Tristan_> I don't want to be a bother, by any means - if it's not an inconvenience for you?

<Aubrienne> It will be our pleasure.

<Tristan_> Thank you

<Lathra> Not a bother at all, I assure you dear.

  • Aubrienne smiles and slips her arm in Tristan's leading him inside.
  • Tristan_ accompanies you inside, then

<Tristan_> I've wanted to pay a visit to our sister-temple here for some time, but never quite managed to ... well, to be honest, never quite found the right person to talk to, or the right way to ask.

  • Tristan_ says with a self-deprecating shrug

<Tristan_> But it seems wrong that we should be so close together, and yet separated by such a great gulf.

<Lathra> I have to admit being in a similar situation - when I arrived in the city I wasn't sure that I'd be welcome, and since then I've rather let my time get filled up.

<Tristan_> Not sure you would be welcome in the city? or at the temple?

<Lathra> At the temple, I'm afraid - terribly silly of me, I'm sure.

<Lathra> I resolve now that I simply must come.

<Tristan_> Well, I hope I shall see you more often in the future, then.

<Lathra> You have my word

  • Tristan_ smiles
  • Lathra pauses to point out something nice

<Tristan_> If this goes well, I plan to try and attend services of both temples whenever I can - I know at least a few humans come here

  • Tristan_ says with a nod and smile to Aubrienne
  • Aubrienne returns the smile.

<Tristan_> How did you come to worship here, if I may ask?

<Aubrienne> I grew up not far from here, actually, and I just sort of...fell into it, I suppose.

  • Tristan_ nods
  • Aubrienne makes a strange face

<Aubrienne> That makes it seem like it was random, or some kind of apathy.

<Aubrienne> Which isn't the case at all.

<Tristan_> I can't imagine it was

<Aubrienne> I was simply afforded more opportunity to hear what the temple had to say.

  • Lathra listens to Aubrienne, interested in her history.

<Tristan_> I think few people, especially few humans, come to this faith by accident or out of simple habit :)

<Tristan_> There needs to be something that... that calls to you

<Aubrienne> I couldn't agree more.

<Tristan_> As for myself, from a young age I felt drawn to it, even before I knew what was doing the drawing.

<Lathra> I couldn't deny it if I tried.

<Tristan_> It concerned my parents somewhat, of course - I think they were almost relieved when the church was set up, so I'd have somewhere to seek my answers.

<Aubrienne> I'm not sure I have quite the same level of calling, but I suppose that would be why I am an adherent while you sought out the priesthood.

  • Tristan_ nods

<Tristan_> I suppose so - and we wouldn't be much without our congregation, of course :)

<Lathra> I felt drawn to the priesthood rather young... but it wasn't done back home, so I rather tried to ignore it all - to no avail, of course

  • Lathra smiles

<Elaknar> Ah, interesting - you weren't brought up in the faith?

<Elaknar> (argh ww)

<Aubrienne> To Diablotin's benefit, I'm sure, Lathra.

  • Aubrienne smiles.

<Tristan_> Ah, interesting - you weren't brought up in the faith?

<Lathra> Well very nice of you to say so, Aubrienne!

<Lathra> Well, yes and no - my grandmother taught me some, somewhat reluctantly, when my parents weren't around.

  • Tristan_ nods, listening with interest

<Aubrienne> Why reluctantly?

<Lathra> Well... she knew, I suppose, that my parents wouldn't have approved. And when they found out, well, that was the end of that.

<Lathra> Until I left home, of course.

<Tristan_> Do your family know about it now?

<Lathra> Oh yes, I made my intentions very clear. There's no drama over it all now - I was a teenager when it happened, and all the fallings-out and never-come-homes were hashed out long ago.

<Tristan_> Well... that's good, I suppose.

  • Lathra says, very blase
  • Tristan_ nods sympathetically

<Aubrienne> Do you get to see them at all these days?

<Lathra> Not since I left the city... we write from time to time.

<Lathra> They've rather come around, I think. Their letters are more supportive than they ever managed in person.

<Lathra> Maybe I'll ask them to come and visit?

<Tristan_> While my parents still have concerns about it, they've come to see that this is the only path for me. One of my sisters is also a follower, which helps a little with assuaging their anxieties - as if they think having someone there to watch out for me is important even though I'm 32 ;)

<Aubrienne> Parents rarely stop worrying, I find.

<Tristan_> Very true...

  • Lathra nods in keen agreement.

<Tristan_> It's fascinating to see the differences in the design and decor of the temples - understandable, of course, but it's interesting. About the main similarity that I can see is that they're circular.

<Aubrienne> I suppose I have the benefit of parents with more ties to this community, so, while they may not be adherents, they're not *overly* concerned with my faith.

  • Tristan_ nods

<Tristan_> That's a benefit, I'm sure

<Aubrienne> Well, Lathra, I'm sure you have more knowledge of the, ah, authenticity of the design.

<Tristan_> Sometimes there is so little understanding... more can always be good.

<Lathra> I imagine you could have a temple without a circular design, but the symbology is important, and it's convenient for a lot of the traditional rituals. I don't think it'd be by choice.

  • Tristan_ nods

<Tristan_> Do you have a usual place you like to sit?

  • Tristan_ asks, looking around the main chamber
  • Lathra makes a deferential gesture towards Aubrienne

<Lathra> I like to move around

<Aubrienne> Yes, ah, sitting isn't really until later.

<Aubrienne> (If I'm reading the wiki correctly...)

<Tristan_> (yup, that's about right :)

<Tristan_> oh, interesting. I can see I'll have to learn a lot here :)

<Aubrienne> But I'm sure we can find a good spot. :)

<Tristan_> I'll follow your lead

  • Aubrienne will lead Tristan to a place towards the front, where he can see and hear the leading priest well

<DiablotinNarrator> The ceremony is starting soon, so you can find a place to take up your pose and wait

<DiablotinNarrator> Elaknar is leading the ceremony today, guiding you through the various movements and incantations

  • Tristan_ follows along as best as he can

<Aubrienne> ("Kali-ma!")

<DiablotinNarrator> (hee)

<DiablotinNarrator> (it's like a Thulsa Doom party, I think ;)

  • Lathra gives him pointers, if he seems amenable
  • Tristan_ is very open to suggestions

<Lathra> (pspspss)

<DiablotinNarrator> At last you reach the point where the cup of bhaell is passed around as people take up a resting pose to recover from their exertions

<DiablotinNarrator> It's optional whether you want to consume it or not - if working later, it might not be advisable...

<Aubrienne> :/

<Aubrienne> (Maybe just a little sip...)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay :)

  • Aubrienne will consume at least a token amount
  • Aubrienne takes maybe a little more than is advisable
  • Lathra reluctantly abstains
  • Tristan_ takes a slightly wary look at the cup, then sort of shrugs and takes a drink before passing it to the next worshipper

<Lathra> . o (I should, but I have so many things to do... and I should watch Tristan's back)

<Lathra> . o (Next time)

<DiablotinNarrator> You each settle into your meditative state, trying to relax and open your minds

<DiablotinNarrator> The room falls very quiet, apart from the breathing and slight movements of the congregants

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra, having not consumed any of the intoxicant, you'll be the first to notice that Tristan is quietly speaking to himself under his breath

<Tristan_> <w> ...they're there, I can feel them but I can't see them, they don't want to be seen...

  • Lathra breaks herself away from her brain, and shuffles over to check that he's ok.

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, you can notice this too when Lathra moves

  • Tristan_ 's voice gets gradually louder

<Tristan_> we pushed them out, we forgot... such short little lives, forget so fast...

<Tristan_> ...thought these ones understood... these ones were there, these ones know the truth....

  • Aubrienne not being the most focused of people at the best of time, looks over lazily, then awkwardly scrambles in that direction as Tristan gets louder

<Aubrienne> Whoa, [priest], Tristan, are you okay?

  • Tristan_ looks around, wild-eyed but unseeing

<Tristan_> ...breaking through the walls, it's too late...!

  • Lathra puts a gentle hand on his shoulder, trying to calm him
  • Aubrienne casts a worried, questioning look towards Lathra
  • Tristan_ practically shouts, making *everyone* in the hall turn to look at him, just in time for him to pass out
  • Aubrienne tries to catch him, even though he's essentially sitting
  • Tristan_ kind of slumps over against you, Aubrienne, so no damage done
  • Lathra gestures over to an antechamber where he can recover, and helps Aubrienne to move him.
  • Tristan_ stirs a bit when you get him to some cooler air and he has a few moments to breathe

<Tristan_> ... sorry...

<Aubrienne> [quietly] Is he...is he okay?

<Aubrienne> Oh!

  • Tristan_ mumbles weakly

<Aubrienne> Are you all right?

<Lathra> I think so... Tristan, can you hear us?

  • Tristan_ nods

<Aubrienne> What happened?

  • Tristan_ manages to push himself up to a sitting position

<Lathra> It's quite alright, I'm sure

<Tristan_> I don't know - sometimes these... visions, spells, come over me. I don't remember them afterwards.

<Lathra> Do you remember?

<Tristan_> only a sort of feeling.. nothing concrete

  • Lathra takes out a notebook and tries to write down what Tristan mumbled before she forgets

<Tristan_> that someone, or something was trying to tell me something important...

<Aubrienne> You said something about breaking walls, and, uh, short lives...

<Lathra> You spoke about seeing something hidden, and forgotten - that they were here.

<Lathra> That they know the truth.

  • Aubrienne is still a bit out of it

<Tristan_> I'm sorry... I wish I could tell you more.

<Tristan_> It fades away ...

  • Tristan_ is still a bit trippy too

<Aubrienne> Shh, just take a minute.

<Lathra> Yes, of course.

<Lathra> If it comes to you with a sense of urgency, then we must do our best to interpret it...

  • Lathra muses

<DiablotinNarrator> Some of the other congregants will start to come over too, to see if he's all right

<Aubrienne> Maybe I should get you some water. The bhaeli can be rough if you're not used to it.

  • Tristan_ nods

<Tristan_> THat would be.. much appreciated, thank you

  • Aubrienne gives him one more worried look, a similar one towards Lathra, and goes to quickly retrieve a glass of water.

<Aubrienne> [muttered] And to think I came to temple today to feel better...

  • Lathra copies my notes and slips the duplicate into Tristan's pocket (or hand, if he has none)
  • Tristan_ rubs his eyes

<Tristan_> is it all right if I just ... sit here until things stop spinning?

<Lathra> It is absolutely all right!

<Tristan_> thanks

  • Tristan_ sips the water gratefully
  • Tristan_ will be recovered enough to get himself up and moving around after a little more rest, and promises that he can see himself home
  • Lathra stays close, and does some half-hearted meditation, focusting more on making sure Tristan is well.

<Tristan_> I hope I haven't ruined my chances of coming back here... :/

<Aubrienne> I'm certain you haven't.

<Aubrienne> Are you sure you don't want someone to help make sure you get home safely? I'm positive we could find someone willing to help.

<Lathra> Well, I can hardly imagine that you have, but if you like I'll speak to [high priest] Elaknar to make sure, and let you know what he says.

<Tristan_> Thank you...

  • Tristan_ seems a bit embarrassed by the outburst now

<Tristan_> I could use the time to clear my head. But thank you for the offer.

  • Tristan_ says to Aubrienne.

<Aubrienne> Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope for your sake all your visits aren't this...exciting. ;)

<Tristan_> I might avoid the drink for a little while ;)

<Lathra> I wonder if it was *because* of the bhaell?

<Tristan_> Well... it's not the first time something like that has happened to me... although it was rather more intense than usual

<Aubrienne> Hmm, that's interesting.

<Aubrienne> If it brings about a preexisting condition or ability...

<Lathra> Or... well... maybe it's my imagination, but...

<Aubrienne> It seems like you could experiment, if you wanted to learn more about your visions.

  • Aubrienne indulges in some light academic interest

<Lathra> It seemed rather like a vision - that could have been inspired divinely. And if so, it would make sense that taking the sacred drink could induce it.

  • Tristan_ nods

<Lathra> Oh, here we are, making so much of a little thing, when I'm sure you just want to go and rest.

  • Tristan_ smiles wanly

<Tristan_> Thank you for your care... and for the tour, I appreciated it very much.

<Tristan_> I'm sure we'll meet again soon.

<Aubrienne> Our pleasure, and likewise.

  • Tristan_ heads off, then, as other people are also dispersing from the ceremony

<Lathra> We will indeed! I intend to make a visit next week, if there's an appropriate ceremony?

<Lathra> w (to Tristan & Aubrienne) I wrote down what you said - it's in your pocket.

  • Tristan_ can certainly let you know when ceremonies are, and thanks you for the notes

<DiablotinNarrator> THe end, for now...

  • Lathra hangs around with Aubrienne as long as she's staying, and waits to talk to Elaknar

<DiablotinNarrator> Elaknar would mostly be like "wtf was that?"

<DiablotinNarrator> but might suggest talking to Jezina about it, since she's the high priestess

<Lathra> I'd be happy to tell him that I thought it was a vision, and that he'd seemed rather embarassed about it all.

Solos

Zola, Aubrienne, Hettie, and Hugo share their thoughts about Titania's news

  • Zola takes an angry drag from her cigarette holder.

<Zola> I can't believe they think the quickling is unconnected. What are they stupid?

<Aubrienne> Hey, Lathra, for some of us, mischievous magic is our stock in trade.

<Hettienne> Uh, have you *metthe guards?

<Hugonel> They may not actually think that.

<Hettienne> The average cop can't find his arse with two hands an' a flashlight.

<Hugonel> They may be saying that publicly, to ensure that they can investigate unobtrusively.

<Hettienne> Yeah it's the not-cops you gotta worry about.

<Hettienne> The ones in the suits.

<Aubrienne> It still seems like a pretty strange plan, don't you think?

  • Zola looks dubious, but supposes there might be a good reason.

<Aubrienne> Wouldn't all that mess just draw more attention?

<Hettienne> I dunno, it worked alright.

<Hugonel> One would assume that when the Emperor's daughter is under assault - even indirectly - that the investigation goes beyond the level of your usual street-thug official.

<Hugonel> It depends, Aubrienne, I would think, on what their motive is.

<Zola> Sure, but as long as they pull it off, it just adds to the effect of killing a war hero.

<Aubrienne> Yeah, but it seems like the assassination working was kind of incidental. Did the fae really accomplish much?

  • Aubrienne shudders at the word assassination.

<Hettienne> No, but that were just luck.

<Hettienne> If I hadn't been there, the thing might well've blown up the boiler.

<Zola> Well who's to say how much distraction they needed to get the drop on Dyess?

<Hettienne> Julien said it were pretty balled up.

<Aubrienne> That's even worse. I mean, that could have caused much more widespread damage, right?

<Hettienne> You wanna believe it.

<Aubrienne> I guess they didn't seem too concerned about collateral damage, what with dropping the light on the dance floor.

<Hugonel> Another question is how they knew for certain that the Count would be at the cabaret that night. This must have been planned long in advance - at least as early as when Eirini was first booked.

<Hettienne> Could've burned the place to the ground.

<Hettienne> Fuckin' slicks.

<Hugonel> When Eirini was speaking to me, her main interest seemed to be the lay of the club, where the exits were, and that sort of information.

<Hugonel> . o O (And when she wasn't speaking ... sigh)

<Hugonel> But the ... quckling? ... as I understand it, had to have known quite a bit about where things were, to be able to cause such mischief.

<Aubrienne> And to think I was nice to that two-bit..low-down...Psyrene vamp!

  • Aubrienne growls.
  • Zola nods emphatically to Aubrienne, "I know!"
  • Aubrienne looks up at Hugo

<Aubrienne> Hey, yeah, how'd it know where to go?

<Hugonel> Zola, I'm not saying that they are unrelated - but it is possible that they were not working together, at least.

<Lathra> It does seem like an unlikely coincidence that so much could go wrong on the same night.

<Hettienne> It was pretty fuckin' fast.

<Zola> Well, it sneaky, right? It could have gotten the lay of the place real quick.

<Hettienne> Maybe it just had time to look around before the party got well started.

<Hettienne> Yeah.

<Aubrienne> Well, that's just scarier.

  • Zola shrugs at Hugo. "Well when we sort that out, I'll think about being nice again."

<Hugonel> Maybe. I'm not saying it wasn't. But - I didn't tell her anything that a trained assassin would have had to work hard to figure out.

<Hugonel> It's not like I told her where the secret escapes and vaults and trapdoors are ... if I even knew such things.

<Lathra> Yes, I've been meaning to ask - how long do you have to work here before they teach you those?

  • Lathra holds a deadpan look for a few moments, before cracking a grin
  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> I'll let you know when I find out.

  • Aubrienne rolls her eyes, gives Lathra a friendly shoulder bump, and laughs.

<Zola> You find out about the spike pit under the stage on your last day :V

  • Aubrienne shoots Zola a look of mock horror

<Zola> What, aren't you in for the long haul? :)

<Lathra> Oh, were you fired once before?

<Aubrienne> Though, I wonder. If we had a spike pit, and dangle Jed over it...

<Aubrienne> I mean, it'd certainly be dramatic.

<Zola> You'd never be able to show that to the audience with good perspective?

<Aubrienne> Yeah

  • Aubrienne sounds genuinely disappointed.

<Aubrienne> Ah well.

<Lathra> It'd have to be some kind of spike mat, I suppose, or a fixture that raises above the stage floor...

  • Zola taps her little cigarette holder over one of the ashtrays

<Aubrienne> Yeah. Spike wagon, maybe, so it's moveable.

  • Hugonel gets an odd look.

<Aubrienne> Hugo?

<Hugonel> Have we considered the possibility that this is not related to Psyra?

<Hugonel> The Count was certainly not well-loved by all his fellows in the city.

<Hugonel> And if this is a political statement, it is a peculiar one: with no claim to the body, or no specific aim or message stated by anyone.

<Aubrienne> I guess that's possible.

<Hugonel> The Dyess family has a rich history of miscreants and scoundrels, and while this one is by no means the worst, one would want to think of non-political motives as well.

<Hugonel> I also wonder, that our Psyrene songbird does not have a Psyrene look to her.

  • Zola frowns a little but clearly accepts the possibility.

<Aubrienne> Well, do any of their enemies have any sort of connection to the fae?

  • Aubrienne scrunches up her face in concentration for a second before shaking her head.

<Hugonel> That, I couldn't say.

<Aubrienne> Wait, what does it matter? Isn't this what the guard is for?

<Aubrienne> We just need to keep our heads down and a look out for that Psyrene dame.

<Hettienne> And faerie freaks.

  • Aubrienne nods emphatically at Hettie.

<Aubrienne> Exactly.

<Zola> So we can pop her one in the face

  • Zola gives the air in front of her jab with her fist

<Hugonel> Well, yes, indeed. Or at least give her a stern tongue-lashing.

  • Hugonel says impishly.

<Zola> What, again? :|

<Lathra> Even it was meant as a distraction or a cover-up, it's hard not to take the attack on our boiler personally - it could have personally killed most of us.

  • Hettienne snickers.
  • Zola looks at Hugo pointedly
  • Aubrienne snickers again

<Aubrienne> Lathra's got a point though. Do you think Titania will beef up security?

<Hettienne> Always a way in for someone who wants it bad enough.

<Hugonel> She may - but that is expensive, and I've already lost several days' pay over this.

<Hettienne> Anyway, I gotta go.

  • Hettienne shoves herself up out of her chair.

<Aubrienne> We all could have lost a lot more than a few days' pay.

<Hugonel> Yes, I should go get ready as well. Can't get rusty!

<Hettienne> Gotta make sure no chorus gals have snacked themselves outta their outfits.

<Zola> Remind me to have someone check on the lighting if I ever have a hunch like that again, 'Bri.

  • Zola frowns :(

Gen apologizes to Hugo

  • Gen will approach Hugonel at some point during the evening when both she and he are not otherwise occupied.
  • Hugonel is in the vestibule, sitting on a low bench and going over some notes.

<Gen> Excuse me, sir. Do you have a moment?

  • Hugonel looks up distractedly.

<Hugonel> Yes ... yes, of course.

  • Gen looms over Hugo, looking rather awkward.

<Hugonel> Please, have a seat.

<Gen> I wish to apologize. I did not think I spoke aloud, but even if no one overheard me, my comment was inappropriate and undeserved.

<Hugonel> Oh ... which comment?

<Gen> About your judgment, sir. I do not, in fact, know you well enough to make such sweeping assumptions.

<Hugonel> Ah, well. Yes.

<Hugonel> Consider the matter forgotten. I would not want to be held responsible for any of the indiscreet words of my own youth.

  • Gen nods decisively, then looks over her shoulder as a dish shatters in the distance.

<Gen> I must return to my duties.

<Hugonel> As I am sure whoever is responsible for *that* would not want it held against them for too long or with too much malice.

<Hugonel> Mlle. Doucette, as always, it is a pleasure.

  • Gen inclines her head towards you gravely, then goes to find something to clean up shards of glass.