Diablotin 3 session 18

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 18 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: July 12, 2015
Diablotin date:

Prologue

<DiablotinNarrator> As it nears the end of First-month, the unusually cold weather continues in Diablotin. People are beginning to comment on the strange freeze, and how long it's been going on. Some draw connections to the continued sightings of fey creatures about the city.

<DiablotinNarrator> There has also been a disaster in the Shade, although who to attribute the blame to is yet unclear. The pleasure-house known as The Penumbra was recently subject to a terrible fire, which destroyed part of the building as well as damaging several neighbouring establishments.

<Denise> (totally unrelated I'm sure >.>)

<DiablotinNarrator> In solidarity, Titania's is hosting several of the performers from the Penumbra over the next few evenings, and donating parts of the proceeds to help rebuild the pleasure-house.

<Denise> (oh Myyyy!)

<DiablotinNarrator> These performers include Fintel a Leyrin, a poet and storyteller, Aunisstra do Mtor, a dancer, and Rikkah sel Andis, a singer (and perhaps not completely coincidentally, Jed's mother)

<Aubrienne> (Yay for Jed's mom, boo for fire)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I don't have a specific order for scenes, so if you need/want to go earlier or later, just let me know. Otherwise, I'm gonna start with Hettie :)

Zola and Hugo discuss their concerns about the fey

  • Zola has coralled you into her dressing room to show off her new dress, sometime earlier in the day and has been gushing about it for a while.
  • Hugonel enthuses appropriately.

<Zola> It only took him a few days @_@

<Hugonel> It's lovely!

<Zola> I'm going to have to think of a special occasion to bring it out on stage...

<Zola> I've been thinking we should put on a big performance, something like a musical... get everyone involved!

<Hugonel> A musical - hmm, that's an interesting idea.

<Zola> Wouldn't that be fantastic? A story running through all the acts... something dramatic.

<Zola> I'm sure we could work everyone in... with the right idea

<Hugonel> I'm game.

<Zola> Excellent! I'm going to break the idea to Tits soon... even though we don't have an actual story yet... at least then she'll know it's been coming when we find something suitable.

<Hugonel> Any thoughts as to what story we would tell? Something historical? Contemporary? Fantastic?

<Zola> No, not yet... it's more the idea of us all weaving our contemporary acts together... well, mostly contemporary.

<Zola> I've got to run the idea by Theo too.

<Zola> Maybe he knows of something, or will have some ideas.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Zola> Maybe with all the troubles with the fey we might want to stick to contemporary stories anyhow >_>

<Hugonel> I'm happy to help, Zola. Especially now, when the future of the cabaret seems so uncertain, it's worth it to think big.

<Zola> Yes, I was thinking the same! Something big, dramatic!

<Hugonel> We might need a bigger venue...

<Zola> Hmm, that'd somewhat defeat the purpose wouldn't it?

<Hugonel> I know, I'm just thinking.

<Hugonel> Well, these are details to get sorted out.

<Zola> If we scale it right, it should be fine... and if it becomes so popular people are lining up to get in...well that's all the better, right? :)

  • Zola nods

<Hugonel> Quite right.

<Zola> There's been something else I've been wondering about ...

<Zola> Have you been looking into Eirini any more?

<Zola> And Jonas?

<Hugonel> Honestly, I haven't. After that meeting with the Emperor, I've decided to lay low and let things settle. I've got enough trouble without creating more for myself.

<Hugonel> Why?

<Zola> Well, it's been bothering me...

<Zola> What makes you think Jonas might be lying?

<Hugonel> I've been doing a lot of reading into fey creatures.

<Zola> I know, I was there for much of it :)

<Hugonel> If he really is a fossegrim, which is the best identification I can figure for him, then we have to accept that he may be, at nature, a deceiver.

<Zola> It's true, but what if the books are just wrong?

<Hugonel> I know he doesn't seem it. I know he seems trustworthy. But I'm not as good with non-humans as I am with humans, and I can't be sure. So you'll have to forgive me if I don't trust him, or Klara, or Eirini, or any of them.

  • Zola nods

<Hugonel> The books might be wrong, or maybe we just need better books. I can't go far wrong by not trusting anything to do with the whole situation, though.

<Hugonel> We have no idea what these things' motivations are.

<Zola> What worries me, is that Tits seems so certain she can vouch for him... and if you think he's lying about Berthillion, is he lying to her too?

<Zola> And why lie at all? Why turn us against Klara?

<Zola> What if she's not even the leanan sidhe? What if she's something else?

<Hugonel> What do you want me to say, Zola? Any of those things could be true. All the more reason not to trust Jonas.

<Zola> Well, shouldn't we find out? What if Tits is in danger?

<Hugonel> Tits has her father to look out for her. I think I was clear as day at our audience that I don't see any reason to trust any of them.

<Zola> I'm not saying we trust anyone...

<Zola> I'm saying we find out for sure.

<Zola> Or at least try

<Hugonel> Even if it puts us at risk? Maybe we should just go back to our jobs, Zola, and stay far away from this.

<Zola> I'm not sure we're going to be able to do that, short of leaving the city.

<Zola> They're here already, and it seems like things are only going to get more ... messed up.

<Hugonel> Sure, but we don't have to draw more attention to ourselves by meddling, do we?

<Zola> I don't know...

<Zola> I just thought... well, maybe if we talked to Klara she'd just confirm Jonas' story and we could be a little less ... unnerved?

  • Zola says that like she knows it's not entirely sensible.

<Hugonel> And you think you'd believe her over him?

<Zola> I meant if she just said the same thing as Jonas.

<Zola> Of course if she says something different we don't really know who is lying anyhow -_-

<Hugonel> Or else they're actually working together.

<Hugonel> I don't think this is a good idea, Zola.

<Zola> Well then why would he rat her out?

<Hugonel> I don't see what we have to gain from this.

<Hugonel> Either one is lying, or the other, or both, or neither, and we have no way to verify other than by asking. And we have good reason to think that both of them are part of a conspiracy whose nature and goals remain unclear to us.

<Zola> They're already in our house, Hugo, is hiding in the closet really any safer?

<Hugonel> Yes, but we're not bothering them, so they have no reason to kill us.

  • Zola frowns, obviously not satisfied with that

<Zola> What if they try anyway, and we aren't prepared? Or if they're using Tits? What if she's been dominated or something?

<Hugonel> Then there's certainly nothing you or I can do about that.

<Zola> I don't believe that.

<Zola> You're so smart, we should be able to figure something out.

  • Zola strokes your cheek.

<Zola> Will you try to think of some way, for my peace of mind?

<Hugonel> If I think of something, I'll let you know.

  • Zola purses her lips.

<Zola> That didn't sound very much like commitment

  • Zola sighs

<Hugonel> I'm commitment-averse, Zola darling. You know that.

  • Zola laughs

<Zola> You jerk!

<Zola> Joking when I'm all upset -_-

<Hugonel> I just wanted to make you laugh. And succeeded, I might add.

<Zola> I just hate this uncertainty.

<Hugonel> We all do.

  • Zola sulks anyway, as is her prerogative

Hettie gets a visit from her brother, Alain

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie, having a few extra performers around just makes it that much busier for you - you can delegate some things to your asssistant Flavia, fortunately :)

  • Hettienne buzzes around the backstage area.

<DiablotinNarrator> You've just sent a bunch more dancers out the door, and as they hustle off, you see your brother Alain standing there (definitely not admiring them as they go past...)

<Alain> Hey, sis

  • Hettienne looks up, surprised.

<Hettienne> Alain!

  • Hettienne shakes a couple of stray sequins off her cuffs and comes over to see him.

<Alain> I know you're busy - but I was here anyway, so I thought I'd drop by and say hi

<Hettienne> What brings you to the club?

<Alain> Needed to have a word with Ander Suterre.

  • Hettienne fronws slightly.

<Hettienne> Ander? What for?

<Hettienne> You in some kinda trouble?

<Alain> Nothing bad.

<Alain> He asked to talk to me, actually.

<Hettienne> Nothin' *bad*?

<Alain> Nah, he's just lookin' at gettin' into the newspaper biz.

<Hettienne> Oh...

<Alain> Wanted some words of wisdom.

<Alain> Which of course I have.

<Hettienne> Well that's... interestin'

<Hettienne> O_o

  • Alain shrugs

<Hettienne> Wonder what made him decide on that particular career move

  • Hettienne is just a bit nonplussed

<Alain> Well, I don't know that he wants to do it himself, so much as get it done.

<Alain> Some kinda local neighbourhood paper

<Hettienne> Huh, well how d'you like that

<Alain> He had some complaints about the way the big papers report on Rat stories. Or, you know, don't.

  • Hettienne nods.

<Hettienne> I can see that, for sure.

<Alain> I think it ain't a bad idea, but it'll take some doing.

<Alain> And it might not make everyone real happy.

<Hettienne> The other papers?

<Alain> Them, an' maybe the government. Not sure.

<Hettienne> Enh... fuck 'em.

<Alain> Other underground papers have managed in the past, so no reason it couldn't happen again.

<Hettienne> You just be careful though/

  • Alain nods

<Alain> Like, The Sentinel - that ran for years and years, and the folks behind it never got busted.

<Alain> An' they ragged on the government plenty.

<Hettienne> Right...

<Alain> Anyway - how's things?

<Hettienne> Oh good, yaknow. Busy.

<Hettienne> We got some extra talent in on account o' that fire at the place in Shade,

<Alain> Right, I heard about that. Folks don't know whether to blame the fey or the Colour Guard. Or the Shadar-kai themselves, I guess ;p

<Hettienne> I half think if it was faeries, we'd know about it... They don't seem much bothered about bein' subtle now.

<Alain> Any more fey sightings around here? Seems like they like it here.

<Hettienne> Well... not *this* week :p

  • Alain chuckles

<Alain> well, if anything crops up, feel free to give me the scoop

<Hettienne> You know it! ;)

<Hettienne> How about you?

<Hettienne> HOw's things?

<Alain> Busy, too. Can't complain I guess.

<Alain> Dee came by to see me the other day, that was nice.

<Hettienne> Oh yeah? That's good t'hear :)

<Alain> ... she asked if I had any of Georges' old clothes that maybe I could give up.

<Hettienne> ...Oh. :/

<Alain> I know some of 'em you made, so I didn't want to just give them away in case there was anything you wanted to keep, like...

  • Hettienne hesitates.

<Hettienne> I.. I dunno. If it ain't all wore out... maybe we could keep it in the family. >.>

  • Alain nods
  • Hettienne is ambushed by unexpected feels

<Alain> Some of 'em I want to keep... that red sweater he used to wear a lot.

<Alain> they mostly all fit me anyway.

<Hettienne> Oh, that were real nice.

  • Hettienne smiles wistfully.
  • Alain smiles too, sadly

<Hettienne> C'mere honey...

  • Hettienne hugs him.

<Alain> I still can't believe he's gone.

  • Alain hugs back

<Hettienne> I know, sweetie.

  • Hettienne sniffs a bit.

<Hettienne> You gotta come around more and eat some o' Den's cookin'.

<Hettienne> You're too skinny...

<Alain> Okay. I'll try to.

<Alain> I don't wanna keep you, I'm sure you've got work to do.

<Hettienne> Yeah, I guess...

<Hettienne> But I mean it, come by whenever.

<Alain> I will.

<Alain> It ain't good for me to be alone so much >.>

<Hettienne> That's right...

<Hettienne> We'll talk soon, yeah?

  • Alain nods
  • Alain will give you another hug and head off, then

<DiablotinNarrator> As he heads off, you realize Flavia is sort of lingering nearby, like she does when she has a question or something but is worried to ask you about it

<Hettienne> What is it, girl?

<Flavia> Oh, um... nothing, really. ...Is that your brother?

<Hettienne> Yeah, why?

<Hettienne> (sense motive)

<Flavia> (go ahead :)

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+9

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 25 ].

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+9

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 15 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 24 ].

<Hettienne> (25 it is)

  • Flavia is blushing, and looking more embarrassed than just her usual shyness
  • Flavia probably thinks he's cute ;p

<Hettienne> (HMMMM what house is she)

<DiablotinNarrator> (Bear)

<Hettienne> (HMMMM)

  • Hettienne cracks a little grin.

<Hettienne> 'S name's Alain.

<Flavia> Oh. I just, uh, hadn't seen him before.

<Flavia> @_@

<Hettienne> Well, he works for the paper, so he's pretty busy. Don't come around here much.

  • Flavia nods

<Hettienne> But with all that's happening, I guess he's lookin' for a scoop from his big sister ;)

<Hettienne> He might be hangin' around a while tonight, just sayin'.

  • Flavia smiles

<Flavia> Okay.

<Flavia> ...I should get back to work, I guess.

<Hettienne> Alright then, shoo! ;)

  • Flavia will shoo

Denise overhears a conversation wherein Guillame Rionet attempts to convince Ander to run for political office

<DiablotinNarrator> Denise, Ander is pretty busy tonight with people wanting to talk to him. Alain comes by, as he had promised, and they talk for a while about newspaper stuff. Some old war buddies of Ander and Ralf's stop in to chat. And then that old guy who's been around before comes in.

  • Denise prepares to be bored >.>
  • Ander welcomes him politely, and the old guy sits down, glancing around the club but not seeming too terribly interested in the show

<Old_guy> I hope you've been considering our previous discussion, M. Suterre.

  • Denise fiddles with her coaster

<Denise> . o O (blah blah blah)

<Ander> I been thinkin' on it, yeah.

<Ander> It'd be a pretty big change.

<Old_guy> It would. But you seem to be making some changes of your own in any case.

<Ander> An' what guarantee would I have that it'd even work?

  • Old_guy gives him a bit of a Look, like "seriously?"

<Old_guy> Do you mean, could we ensure that it would happen, or would it be effective?

<Ander> Well, the second. I know you got the strings to pull for the first one.

<Denise> . o O (bah what are they even talking about :p)

<Old_guy> That's up to you.

<Old_guy> But you don't strike me as the type of man to take a position like that, and then not use what he's been given.

<Old_guy> If you were, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

  • Ander looks pensive, and a bit concerned

<Old_guy> You could do a great deal of good for our community.

  • Denise glances at him, mildly curious

<Ander> Yeah, 'our' community >.>

<Old_guy> We do have that in common, at least. I won't pretend that it wouldn't benefit my goals as well.

<Old_guy> Having more Rats in positions of power can only help our people.

<Ander> Yeah, I get that.

<Ander> I'm just not sure I like the rest of the burdens that come with it.

  • Old_guy nods

<Old_guy> I understand that, believe me.

<Denise> (is ralf here?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (no, he isn't)

<Denise> ('kk)

<Old_guy> In any case - leaving aside this issue for the moment. I have a small donation to make, for your efforts.

  • Old_guy passes Ander an envelope that you feel sure has a wad of cash in it.
  • Denise makes mildly disgruntled faces into her beer, wishing it was closer to enmpty so she could wander off...but eyes the envelope
  • Ander takes it, a bit awkwardly

<Ander> It's gonna go right into the school.

<Old_guy> That's fine, of course. I trust your judgment as to where it can best be used.

<Denise> (wjat school? do I have any idea what *that* is, at least?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (well, there's a school in your neighbourhood, the one that Yvie goes to. I don't think you know much about how it's funded necessarily?)

<Denise> (fair >.>)

<Old_guy> We could do this more straightforwardly, though, if you were to take me up on my offer.

<Denise> . o O (Things not to mention to Pa ;p)

<Ander> I'm thinkin' on it.

<Old_guy> Elections come up in six months - there isn't too long to think.

<Denise> . o O (whut?)

  • Ander nods

<Ander> What if it weren't me? Maybe someone I know, like...

<Old_guy> I'd need to review your suggestions for candidates, if so. I'm willing to back this plan because I have confidence in you - not in 'someone you know'.

  • Ander nods

<Ander> Well, I'll think about it.

  • Old_guy nods

<Old_guy> I require a decision soon.

<Old_guy> And now, if you'll excuse me, my son just arrived, and I'm sure he doesn't want to bump into me here.

  • Old_guy shakes hands with Ander, nods politely, and will get up to leave
  • Denise waits for him to go
  • Ander swigs his drink with a sigh

<Denise> boss, what does that guy even want?

<Ander> ...He wants me to get elected to the Great Council.

<Ander> One way or another.

<Denise> Government stuff?

<Ander> yeah

<Ander> Politics

<Denise> . o O (no wonder he sounds so boring :p)

<Ander> more Rat votes

<Denise> that..... doens't sound real fun >.>

<Ander> well...

<Denise> but i guess that's good, maybe?

<Ander> he's right that it would be good for us. for our folks, I mean.

  • Denise nods

<Ander> I just dunno if I wanna be the one to do it. if I *oughta* be the one.

  • Denise doens't know much about this stuff

<Denise> well, prolly lots of folks would vote for you, though

<Ander> Mm.

  • Ander says noncommittally
  • Denise says with great certainty

<Ander> An' then I'd get to vote the way someone else wants me to.

<Denise> would you have to?

<Ander> I dunno.

<Ander> I don't even know if he'd ask for things I don't agree with. It's just that he could.

<Denise> like what?

<Ander> well... he's got one big reason for wantin' me - an' whatever other Rats he can get in

<Ander> 'Cause the Emperor ain't gonna live forever.

  • Denise looks blank

<Denise> well, yeah...

<Ander> an' his plan - his dream - is to get a Rat on the throne.

<Denise> huh!

<Denise> him?

<Ander> nah, I don't think so. Too old

<Ander> He's got kids, though.

<Denise> you? ^-^

<Ander> hahahah

<Ander> no!

<Ander> .. d'you know who he is, Dee?

  • Ander realizes you might not
  • Denise shakes her head

<Denise> who?

<Ander> He's Guillame Rionet. The Lord Chancellor.

<Denise> o_O

<Denise> oh. Huh.

  • Ander nods

<Denise> well.... like... I dunno, then. I don't know anything about politics stuff :/

<Ander> It's okay. Ain't anyone can make the decision for me, anyway.

  • Denise nods

<Ander> Just somethin' I gotta figure on my own.

<Denise> what would it mean if you say yes?

<Ander> .. you get to be the bodyguard to a Councillor? ;)

<Denise> an like.... what about your bosses? >..

<Denise> heh

<Denise> that sounds posh

<Denise> ^-^

  • Ander smiles

<Ander> Oh, well - they'd like me to do it, I'm sure.

<Ander> but on their terms.

<Denise> would they be wantin' you to vote certain ways too?

<Ander> that's part of what I worry about.

  • Denise can figure that much out at least :V

<Denise> :/

<Denise> well... but like still lookin' out for folks, right?

<Ander> Sure, yeah.

<Denise> :/

<Ander> but what our folks need an' what Rat nobles want ain't always the same.

<Ander> even if we're all Rats

<Ander> say, how 'bout you get me another drink?

  • Ander says, finishing the one he has

<Denise> that I can do

<Ander> Thanks.

  • Denise can hop off to do so

Zola introduces Bright to a chilly-seeming Rikkah

<DiablotinNarrator> Zola, you're just getting ready for the set you're performing with Rikkah, when you spot Bright and his usual entourage coming into the club

<DiablotinNarrator> His Shadar-kai bodyguard seems to have given him some fashion tips for the evening, as he's dressed in some leather straps that have to be a bit on the chilly side ;p

  • Zola waves happily to get his attention, and blows him a kiss
  • Bright waves back

<Zola> (If there's time before the set, I'll go over, if not, I'll see him after?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (it'll have to be after - so I can make you roll for your performance ;)

  • Zola is in a sleek black bustier/dress in SK style with SK accessories, aside from the low front and slits on the side, she's positively modest in comparison to Bright :P

<DiablotinNarrator> heh

  • Zola turns her attention back to Rikkah and making sure she's memorized all the words @_@

<Rikkah> <w> it'll be fine :)

  • Rikkah assures you

<Zola> Thank you :)

<Zola> I just haven't really sung in Shadar-kai before... it was all very boring things we learned in school :)

  • Rikkah smiles

<Rikkah> Well, at least this won't be boring

<Zola> :D

  • Rikkah lets you lead the way onto the stage

<Zola> Hopefully we'll make a good impression so there's even more in the crowd tomorrow :D

<Rikkah> I hope so!

<DiablotinNarrator> (feel free to roll your performance :)

  • Zola offers Rikkah her arm and escorts her onto the stage
  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 13 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 26 ]

<Zola> (or I could roll per song :P)

<DiablotinNarrator> (heh. 13 is adequate ;)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you did fine)

<DiablotinNarrator> The crowd seems to enjoy your performance!

  • Zola will bow with Rikkah, shares the love
  • Rikkah also seems pleased with how it went

<Zola> We did well :) Now to outdo ourselves tomorrow!

<Rikkah> Yes, quite!

  • Rikkah has a few small suggestions of things to improve for tomorrow, but nothing huge
  • Zola considers them all.

<DiablotinNarrator> After that, do you want to slip off to see Bright?

<Zola> What're you doing now? You could come have a drink and meet some friends of mine, if you'd like :)

<Rikkah> Oh, that would be lovely :)

  • Zola offers her arm and will lead Rikkah over to meet Bright and his friends
  • Bright stands to give you a hug and kiss

<Bright> That was a marvellous show - I'm glad I was able to get here in time to see it :)

<Zola> I'm quite pleased to see you too, darling :)

  • Zola tickles her black fingernails along his exposed skin
  • Bright grins

<Zola> You're missing something though

<Bright> Do you like this? It was Calix's idea...

<Bright> oh, I am?

  • Zola reaches up and turns his head a little to plant a big black kiss on his cheak

<Zola> There.

  • Bright smirks

<Bright> How could I have forgotten that?

<Zola> Bright, this is Rikkah sel Andis.

<Zola> Rikkah, Bright Rionet, a good friend of mine :)

<Bright> Pleased to meet you

<Rikkah> And you

  • Rikkah seems a little ... frosty?
  • Bright orders more drinks for you two
  • Zola will order something from the special additions for herself.
  • Zola is maybe a little distracted taking in Shadar-kai tarty-Bright

<Bright> So, is it Shadar-kai night every night this week? :D

<Zola> (Yes?)

<Bright> (yes, presumably)

<Zola> That's the plan, to help Rikkah and her folks get back on their feet. You heard about the fire? :(

<Bright> Yes, it's so awful...

<Bright> So once I heard about the theme, I couldn't resist ^-^

<Zola> Tell all your friends, so tomorrow's even busier :)

<Bright> I certainly will!

<Zola> Maybe if I do well enough, Rikkah will have me in to visit after they reopen :)

  • Zola gives her a smile

<Rikkah> Well, we don't usually have human performers. But who knows? There's a first time for everything.

<Rikkah> People come there expecting to see Shadar-kai, after all.

<Bright> It's a marvellous place - have you ever been, Zola?

<Zola> (I'm thinking at least a few times if Tits goes?)

<Zola> (She'd certainly be curious)

<DiablotinNarrator> (sure - you certainly could have gone before)

<Zola> Yes, I've been just a few times, mostly with Tits.

<Zola> Do you go often?

<Bright> Once in a while. You have to be in the right sort of mood, you know?

<Bright> You might get exotic dancing, or else an hour of poetry you can't understand ;)

  • Rikkah finishes her drink rapidly

<Zola> They still haven't figured out who set the fire have they, Rikkah?

<Rikkah> No... it was in the early hours of the morning. Fortunately no one was badly hurt.

<Zola> Yes, fortunately :/

<Zola> I imagine on top of getting everything set up again you'll need to pay for extra security too.

  • Rikkah nods
  • Rikkah glances up as Aubrienne and Jed are just coming on stage

<Rikkah> Well, I should be going. Thank you again - it was good to sing with you, Zola.

<Zola> And you!

  • Rikkah bids a polite good evening and departs

<Zola> (Do I need an SM roll to tell if she was annoyed a Bright in particular :P)

<Zola> (I'll roll anyhoo)

  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 31 ]

<DiablotinNarrator> (You think she was annoyed at Bright, yes.)

<Zola> Have you met Rikkah before?

<Bright> No, but I've seen her perform at the Penumbra before.

<Zola> She seemed a little cold... I wonder what that's about.

  • Bright shrugs
  • Zola strokes along his chin

<Zola> You don't misbehave in her house, do you? :)

<Bright> Do I look like the kind of fellow who misbehaves? ;)

<Zola> Yes, you look like a very naughty fellow.

  • Bright chuckles

<Bright> If you have time, maybe we can go back to your dressing room for some suitable punishment? ;)

<Zola> I'm not sure a proper punishment can be done so quickly...

  • Zola laughs a bit

<Zola> Who am I kidding

  • Zola gives him a kiss on the cheek
  • Bright smiles

<Zola> I suppose I could fake it, being a mean punisher, if I had to

<Bright> No, you're far too kind ;)

<Zola> At least to nice boys like you.

<Bright> You'd cave in after about two minutes of being cruel ^-^

  • Zola tugs him close for a kiss using some of his straps

<Zola> I could go longer than that!

<Bright> .... prove it? ;)

<Zola> I'd just need some inspiration.

<Zola> I might have to read some of those kinky novels for a day or two first :)

  • Bright laughs

<DiablotinNarrator> (are you going to drag him off to your dressing room, or make him wait until closing time? ;)

  • Zola will scoot in close and put her arm around his shoulders to stroke his hair, and watch Jed & Aubrienne
  • Zola practices her cruelty using his exposed flesh and the passing of time

<Zola> Though you might want to ask Calix why Rikkah was so chilly, maybe he'd know?

  • Bright shrugs

<Bright> Maybe

  • Bright seems more interested in you ;)
  • Zola is generally OK with this!

Hugo advises to Thera

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo, you are sharing MC duties tonight with Fintel, so you do get a bit more free time than usual

  • Hugonel will definitely try to enjoy the opportunity to watch the show and hang out while being paid

<DiablotinNarrator> (do you want to stay backstage, or mingle in the crowd?)

<Hugonel> (I'm happy to mingle around)

  • Hugonel is wearing a grey and silver scarf in honor of our thematic evening, and a nice suit with a grey cummerbund.

<DiablotinNarrator> You are mingling around, then, and you see that Thera is there, sitting off alone in a corner.

  • Hugonel will stop at the bar to grab an extra glass of wine and then go over to her table.
  • Hugonel sets the glass down and takes a seat.

<Thera> Oh, hello, Hugo.

<Hugonel> Thera, my dear, what a lovely surprise to see you here.

<Thera> You don't seem too surprised - or was that extra glass of wine for whoever you happened to meet? ;p

  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> You've discovered the dark secret to my romantic success.

<Hugonel> Wander around with alcohol until finding a beautiful woman to share it with.

<Thera> heh

  • Thera accepts it, anyway

<Hugonel> How have you been?

  • Thera gives a slight shrug

<Thera> Things are... odd.

<Hugonel> What's the matter?

<Thera> I don't know that I can explain it.

<Hugonel> Try me. I've seen a lot of strange things over the years.

<Hugonel> And I care.

<Thera> >.>

<Hugonel> I don't mean to pry. But I do care.

  • Hugonel says honestly.

<Thera> What if you had a marvellous opportunity, and you weren't sure whether you should take it or not.

<Hugonel> Hmm. It depends on what kind of opportunity, and what I'd have to give up to get it.

<Hugonel> If it's a romantic opportunity, I'd probably just take it and not think too much about it.

  • Thera sort of chuckles at that

<Thera> No, I'm not sure 'romantic' is the correct word.

<Hugonel> Marital?

<Thera> no...

  • Hugonel looks into Thera's eyes.
  • Thera looks back, frowning slightly

<Hugonel> What's going on?

<Thera> I have a gentleman who is interested in me, Hugo. Wealthy and powerful. I don't know that I am interested in him, as such, and there would be other repercussions, outside of my own desires. But it would be very...

  • Thera fumbles for the right word

<Thera> ... ambitious.

<Hugonel> All right. Well ... first of all, as I'm sure you are aware, you could have almost any wealthy and powerful gentleman you desire. What does this one provide - given that it's not a marriage - that others might not?

<Thera> well... I should say, I don't know for certain that it's not marriage. The subject hasn't been raised, but it's not ... impossible, at any rate.

<Thera> Maybe impolitic.

<Hugonel> All right. What do you gain out of it?

<Thera> Wealth, influence, maybe a title... having half my family hate me...

<Hugonel> The curiosity is eating me alive, Thera - just who is this mystery man?

<Thera> The Emperor.

  • Thera sips her drink

<Hugonel> Hmm. Well. That's something, isn't it.

  • Hugonel considers.

<Thera> it's something.

  • Thera agrees

<Hugonel> You can do better.

<Thera> oh?

<Hugonel> The Emperor is, by all accounts, a good man. But he's got to be, what, seventy years old. So you trade your youth spent as the paramour of the most powerful man alive followed by ... what, exactly?

<Hugonel> Decades as 'the former consort of the former emperor'?

<Thera> A title, enough money that I could live comfortably for the rest of my life, no need to marry unless I choose to...

<Hugonel> I'm not denying that there would be some appeal. But let me ask you this: what's in it for the Emperor?

<Thera> o_O

<Hugonel> I'm not saying that you're not an extraordinarily beautiful, alluring, wonderful woman.

<Hugonel> Only a fool would deny that.

<Hugonel> But ... why would he want a public consort now? Or are you to be hidden away?

<Thera> Oh, well... he isn't married, so I don't suppose there would be any strong reason to keep me hidden. But he's fairly private - I don't think he'd want to parade me around to parties.

<Hugonel> But - he would presumably ask for exclusivity, yes?

<Thera> Yes.

  • Thera says quite definitely

<Hugonel> So your next decade or more will be spent with a wrinkly old man, possibly with smelly feet, who just happens to wield unchecked power over us all?

  • Thera wrinkles her nose

<Thera> I'd assume he bathes at least ;p

<Hugonel> One would hope.

<Hugonel> My point is, I suppose, if I must say it, although it pains me to do so, is that there are any number of titled single men out there, your own age, some of whom are themselves very wealthy, who would marry you in a heartbeat.

<Thera> I don't think there are quite as many of these marvellous prospects as you imagine.

<Thera> Men my own age are in rather shorter supply since the war.

<Hugonel> I had noticed rather less competition over the past few years. I had supposed it was because I was becoming handsomer.

  • Hugonel sighs.
  • Thera sighs as well

<Thera> Look... I could end up married to a wrinkly man with smelly feet regardless. At least this way, I can get out of it if it becomes unbearable.

<Hugonel> Can you?

<Hugonel> How do you know how easy or hard it would be to ... extricate yourself?

<Thera> It isn't as though he hasn't had other mistresses before.

<Hugonel> A mistress is one thing ... what you are talking about is more ... contractual.

<Thera> I'm not signing anything ;p

<Hugonel> Then you shouldn't expect anything in return. Men like that don't have any cause to keep to unsigned promises.

<Hugonel> This wealth and title you refer to could be nothing more than a mirage, the sly words of a cunning old dog.

<Thera> My mother wasn't noble. My father gave up a great deal to marry her. I don't have a lot to fall back on, and there are plenty of Wolf girls with more money and less questionable pasts.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Thera> you think I should hold out for marriage? ;p

<Thera> Empress Thera?

<Hugonel> You know that this story is not unfamiliar to me, Thera. I'm nobody, like you. A man with a big name and many friends, playing a game. I don't know what you should do, but I do know the ways of the palace and politics. It's always complicated.

<Thera> Gods, then Aunt Zivia really would murder me in my sleep.

  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> Murdering the empress is, I believe, treason punishable by death.

<Thera> I half wonder if he doesn't like me because I remind him of her when she was young ;p

<Hugonel> Possible, but an unnecessary hypothesis. You are a very striking woman, and any man would be lucky to have you, as consort or as wife.

<Thera> Well, young-ish, anyway. I'm getting close to thirty, Hugo. maybe this is my best chance for... something better.

<Thera> I don't know :/

<Hugonel> Have you talked to Tristan about it?

<Thera> is it the sort of thing you'd talk about with your sibling? ;p

<Hugonel> No. No, I suppose not.

<Thera> He'd tell me I should follow my heart. He's romantic that way.

<Hugonel> I'd suggest that you talk to Sirris, but I worry that he is too far removed from the sorts of day-to-day human concerns that bother us.

<Hugonel> The conversation might start with parables and end in tears.

<Thera> heh

<Thera> I suppose it can't hurt to talk to him.

<Hugonel> He's always been a stable force in my life when things were ... odd.

  • Thera nods

<Thera> Maybe I could learn to like him. He's not ugly, or ... smelly, despite your claims ;p

  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> No, indeed. I was only saying that out of rank jealousy. With an emphasis on the 'rank'.

<Thera> And since he's old, maybe his demands wouldn't be too frequent :p

<Hugonel> Perhaps he's as flaccid as his foreign policy initiatives.

<Thera> ew.

<Hugonel> See how helpful I am?

  • Thera rolls her eyes

<Thera> come on, Hugo... take me away from here and show me a good time - maybe it's our last chance.

<Hugonel> How can I say no to that? After all, last chances only come along once.

  • Hugonel downs his wine and takes Thera's hand.

Aubrienne tells Titania about her dream encounter

  • Aubrienne will be decked out in SK attire for the show, certainly much more risque than her usual suit.

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, your performance with Jed taking the lead goes well, you think!

<DiablotinNarrator> The audience certainly seems to appreciate it - or maybe that's the costuming choices ;)

<Aubrienne> (Do I need to roll or anything? I'll take 'well' :))

<Aubrienne> (heh)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I'll assume it's Jed's roll, you're just supporting him :)

<Aubrienne> (I think I can manage that Aid Another roll)

<DiablotinNarrator> (indeed)

  • Aubrienne will try to track down Tits at some point when she's not so busy, so maybe not til later in the evening.
  • Titania can be tracked down later, sure

<Aubrienne> (Office, I assume?)

<Titania> (yeah)

<DiablotinNarrator> (that's the easiest place to get some privacy with her, anyway)

<Aubrienne> Well hey there, pretty lady.

  • Aubrienne says from the doorway.
  • Titania smiles to see you

<Titania> Your act was great tonight - say congrats to Jed for me too :)

<Aubrienne> Thanks, I'll be sure to.

<Aubrienne> Everyone was on their game tonight. The crowd seemed really into it.

<Titania> definitely

<Titania> Maybe we should do collaborations more often

<Aubrienne> It's nice we could offer the folks from the Penumbra a place to perform.

<Aubrienne> Quite thoughtful of you.

<Titania> well... we've had our share of troubles too lately.

<Titania> I felt like it was the least I could do.

<Titania> Since at least our building is still standing. For now ;)

  • Aubrienne will shut the door, then close for a kiss.

<Titania> mmm :)

<Aubrienne> I'm sure it will continue to do so.

<Titania> and I have to say, your outfit looks gorgeous.

<Aubrienne> I had been hoping to do a private premiere for you, but time kind of got away from me.

<Aubrienne> But I am fond of encores...

  • Titania smiles

<Titania> can I offer you some refreshments? ;)

<Aubrienne> Always. :)

<Aubrienne> So, I have a possible strange question for you.

<Titania> oh?

  • Aubrienne will take a seat on the couch.

<Aubrienne> You don't happen to know what the plans are in regards to the fey, do you?

  • Titania gets you a drink and will come to sit with you

<Titania> I know a bit about what's going on. I can't say I'm involved in high-level planning meetings, but I hear a thing or two.

<Titania> I think the top priority at the moment is to deal with the ones that are causing immediate trouble in the city. They've issued cold iron weapons to the guards, for instance. That sort of thing.

<Titania> But more broadly, they're still trying to figure out what's going on, why this is happening in the first place.

<Aubrienne> Aren't we all?

  • Aubrienne sighs

<Titania> I know there was at least one proposal to go to the Shade and chop down those trees, but after Seda Grove, it was felt that might not be ... diplomatic.

<Aubrienne> Like burning an embassy or something, I guess.

<Titania> Something like that.

<Titania> If there's some greater power behind this, then I think they want to talk to it.

<Titania> or attempt to, anyway.

<Aubrienne> That might be good, if there was a way to negotiate.

  • Titania nods

<Aubrienne> Sorry, I don't mean to bug you about this, or take advantage for information, I just...something happened the other day.

<Titania> oh? what happened?

  • Titania takes your hand

<Aubrienne> Well, Lathra has a client I've been helping with, and we brought your aunt to see him, and she took us into his dreams.

<Titania> ... I was going to ask which aunt, but that answers that.

<Aubrienne> Which was a bizarre experience on it's own, but...

<Aubrienne> My brother was there.

<Titania> In the dream?

<Aubrienne> Yes.

<Aubrienne> I think it was actually him.

<Aubrienne> Ilphere said she thought the dream was more than a regular dream.

  • Titania nods, listening

<Aubrienne> It had one of those trees, like we think was at Seda Grove, the portal tree things.

<Aubrienne> And Jean-Faust came through it.

<Aubrienne> We spoke for a moment, but he said he had to get back.

<Titania> huh

<Titania> so he's alive?

<Aubrienne> I believe so, yes.

<Aubrienne> I...I want to try to go get him back.

<Aubrienne> Ilphere said it would be possible, at least to travel to where he is.

  • Titania nods

<Titania> Of course you must try.

  • Aubrienne leans forward to give Tits a hug.
  • Titania hugs you back

<Aubrienne> Thanks for understanding.

<Aubrienne> I know it probably all sounds a little crazy, but I just couldn't not try.

<Titania> if it was one of my brothers, I'd do the same thing. I don't see how you couldn't try.

  • Aubrienne takes Tits' hand again and gives it a kiss.

<Aubrienne> You're the best boss ever. ;)

  • Titania smiles

<Titania> I know ;)

<Titania> you're not going by yourself, are you?

<Aubrienne> Well, Jed said he'd come with me.

<Aubrienne> We'll probably need more help, but I don't want to put anyone in danger.

  • Titania nods

<Titania> I wish I could go too. But I'd probably be more of a hindrance than a help.

<Titania> But surely there must be some people you could ask?

<Aubrienne> It means a lot that you would want to go.

  • Aubrienne has a happy, slightly odd look on her face.

<Titania> well... I love you.

  • Titania says, as if a bit surprised herself

<Aubrienne> ...I love you too.

  • Aubrienne responds somewhat quietly, squeezing Tit's hand.

<Titania> didn't expect that, huh?

  • Titania says gently
  • Aubrienne smiles, somewhat awkwardly, slowly growing to a big grin.

<Aubrienne> No, I don't think I did.

  • Titania leans over to kiss you
  • Aubrienne kisses back, putting her arms around Tits and sighing contentedly.

Lathra provides Orlan with a safe refuge from admiring fans

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra, with more Shadar-kai present than usual, including some of your acquaintance, you're kept quite busy tonight

<Lathra> (any that I work with? Or mostly people from the temple that I might know casually?

<DiablotinNarrator> (Aunisstra is there, she's one of your clients)

<Lathra> (kk)

  • Lathra brings a medical kit around with her as she socializes.

<DiablotinNarrator> You do notice another of your little flock - it's difficult to miss when Orlan shows up at the club, as he tends to get rather swarmed with fans

  • Orlan will seize the opportunity to escape from them by talking to you ;)

<Orlan> Hi there - could we go backstage, or somewhere more private anyway?

  • Orlan is a little bit frazzled

<Lathra> Well of course we can dear! Here, I'll show you the way, hold this.

  • Lathra passes him a full drink as she picks up another from the bar.
  • Orlan accepts it gratefully
  • Lathra takes him to the green room, since it's comfier than her storage area.
  • Orlan will follow you

<Orlan> this is much better @_@

<Lathra> Everybody thinks you're used to it by now, I expect!

  • Lathra has probably discussed crowds of fans with Orlan a bunch of times

<Orlan> Well... I am, in a way, but it's just impossible to go anywhere incognito.

<Orlan> Anyway... thanks for the rescue :)

<Orlan> I was hoping I'd get to see you

<Lathra> Well, no problem at all, dear. I'm afraid I may not be able to stay indefinitely - I *am* on duty, after all - but if I'm called away and you want to stay here, I can let the staff know.

  • Lathra pats her medical kit at "on duty"

<Orlan> Oh, no, I entirely understand. I might just slip out the back when I get the opportunity.

<Orlan> I wanted to let you know, though... Bella left her fiancé

<Lathra> Oh! That seems for the best - does she know what she'll do next?

<Orlan> It's all a bit up in the air at the moment.

<Orlan> I thought, if it was all right, maybe I could suggest she could talk to you for advice. You're so good at it, after all, and have been so helpful to me.

<Orlan> But I didn't want to just volunteer you, if you're too busy.

<Lathra> She is *always* welcome to come to me for advice! Yes, yes of course.

  • Orlan smiles at that

<Lathra> I don't guarantee that it'll always be advice that *you* like, but I'll try to make it *good* advice if I can.

<Orlan> Wonderful, thank you so much

<Orlan> I... I just want her to have the help she needs. I don't expect that she's going to fall into my arms now.

<Lathra> Good.

  • Lathra nods
  • Orlan sips his drink

<Orlan> how are you doing? we don't always need to talk about me and my problems :)

<Lathra> Oh, well I'm ok dear. I must admit I'm rather worried about the rash of magical assailants that has been plaguing the city, but I think I'm doing as much as I can to help with that.

  • Orlan nods

<Lathra> I got to meet Princess Ilphere and her children recently, that was delightful!

  • Lathra chuckles happily

<Orlan> That sounds interesting!

<Lathra> Oh, she is! She's VERY intelligent - you can tell.

<Orlan> I don't know what I'd do if I met the Imperial family - probably stand there and stammer ;)

<Lathra> Yes well I'm afraid I did rather stare at my feet at first, but they were lovely and I got over it.

  • Orlan nods

<Orlan> I mean... other than Titania. She doesn't quite have the same effect, maybe just because I've met her lots of times ;)

<Orlan> It's easy to forget that she's a princess

<Lathra> They're all really just people too, aren't they? I imagine those throngs that won't leave you alone suffer rather the same effects when they meet you.

  • Orlan nods

<Orlan> Some of them, yes.

<Orlan> Some of them are a bit more... assertive.

<Orlan> Maybe I need a bodyguard ;p

  • Lathra nods

<Lathra> Maybe you do! It couldn't hurt to have some some help escaping who is more... frequently present.

  • Orlan nods

<Orlan> But Shadar-kai bodyguards are so trendy right now ;)

  • Orlan teases

<Lathra> Haha! Oh my, I'd have to give up all of my other clients, and this job too!

<Orlan> oh, I suppose

  • Orlan smiles

<Orlan> I'll see about finding someone - it might be just what I need.

<Orlan> for now, though, I think I'll try and slip out the back alley and avoid the crowds if I can.

<Orlan> It was good to get to see you, though. Thank you, as always.

<Lathra> Well you're most welcome, and it was delightful to see you, too! Would you convey my regards to Bella?

<Orlan> Of course

<Orlan> I'll give her your information, and maybe she'll pay you a visit too.

  • Orlan will give you a hug before he sneaks away (or at least attempts to)

Argent discovers Evil in the Cabaret

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent, you're kept busy with your tables, as the club is more full tonight than it has been in a while

<Argent> (everyone running away from the cold and worries)

<Argent> (I need good tips to buy some more cold iron bullets :))

<DiablotinNarrator> (heh)

<DiablotinNarrator> One of your tables is particularly ordering a lot, so hopefully they'll tip well. There's a woman with three men - you don't recognize them.

  • Argent recommends the bestest of wines to pad the bill and make them more willing :)

<DiablotinNarrator> She's a bit older - maybe late 20s? while the men all seem somewhat younger. And they're all fawning over her.

<DiablotinNarrator> Arguing over who gets to buy her the next drink, etc.

<DiablotinNarrator> Just something about the whole situation gives you a little bit of a weird feeling.

<Argent> (yeah... does feel a little off)

<DiablotinNarrator> She's attractive, but not *that* attractive.

  • Argent will descretely cast detect magic... maybe a charm?... and if that does nothing, detect evil.

<DiablotinNarrator> There's definitely magic active on the woman - she's wearing a headband that radiates moderate transmutation

<DiablotinNarrator> still want to detect evil?

<Argent> (Yes)

<DiablotinNarrator> One of the men gives off an overwhelming evil aura - the kind that's enough to stun you for a round.

<DiablotinNarrator> The woman also radiates evil, but less powerfully, you can tell once you regain your composure

  • Argent is a little staggered by the whole thing internally but keeps his composer.
  • Argent will head over to the bar to see if Neva might recognize the group

<DiablotinNarrator> The man in question is tall, quite thin, with wavy brown hair. He doesn't seem especially strange-looking or anything. The woman is slim with brown hair to her shoulders.

  • Orlan is now known as Neva
  • Neva is busy at the bar, but can spare a moment for you

<Argent> Hey Neva... see my table... you ever seen them before?

  • Neva glances over to the group

<Neva> Azarea vak Andras and some of her latest boy toys.

<Neva> Are they giving you trouble? You need me to have a word?

<Argent> ive heard the vak Andras name before... what about the tall thin one?

  • Neva checks him out in particular

<Neva> Haven't seen him before.

<Neva> should I know him?

<Argent> there is something very off about him.

<Neva> Off how?

<Argent> he just makes me feel... like everything around him and that he touches feels dirty... its not but I just feel that way.

  • Neva frowns at that

<Neva> You want someone else to take over the table?

<Argent> I'll keep the table, but if you could have someone who may have some skills to check them, especially him, I would appreciate it.

<Neva> I mean, we all get someone sometime that makes you feel dirty just to wait on them. I don't want you to put up with that if he's doing anything weird.

<Neva> Skills, huh?

  • Neva casts something discreetly behind the bar, looks over in their direction again, and drops the glass she was holding

<Neva> ... shit :o

<Argent> You ok?

<Neva> what the hell?

  • Neva cleans up, still a bit shaken up

<Neva> You don't need to go back to that table, kid. I'll see them off.

  • Neva says firmly

<Argent> Ok

<Argent> but let me see if I can get a name before you do so.

  • Neva looks reluctant

<Neva> Whoever, or whatever, he is - do you really want to mess with him?

<Argent> I'll be fine

<Argent> no... but I can't just let him walk away either without trying to find out more.

<Neva> :/

<Argent> just swoop in if you see me in trouble.

<Neva> Okay, but I'm right here, keeping my eye on you. Don't hesitate to get out of there if anything happens.

  • Argent will head to the table with the next drink order... but will do a circumstant route to try to listen on what he can for clues as he approaches

<DiablotinNarrator> (you can make a Listen check)

<Argent> !roll 1d20+17

  • Zola rolls for Argent: [ 1d20+17 ] getting [ 18 ] which, after the modifier [ 17 ] totals [ 35 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> They're talking about you, as you circle around through the crowd.

<DiablotinNarrator> (sec, I need to nick in a way that will identify who's talking ;)

<Dark_blond_guy> Pretty hair - watch out, Tom, or he'll take your job!

  • Blond_guy 's name seems to be Tom, and he sort of chuckles in a not-very-amused way at that

<Azarea> There's something about him... no, not just the pretty hair ;p

<Evil_guy> What's a sweet little aasimar doing in a place like this?

<Azarea> No, you can't take him home, Val :p

  • Azarea says to the guy with the evil aura

<Azarea> You don't want to make me jealous ;)

<Argent> There you go Lady and Gentlemen... my bartender has a few specialities she could recommend if you wanted to try something more exotic.

<Evil_guy> Well, we do like ... exotic ^-^

  • Argent says arriving with the drinks, totally composed as if nothing was amiss
  • Azarea sort of nudges him under the table and accepts the drinks gracefully

<Azarea> Thank you so much, angel :)

  • Azarea gives you a generous tip

<Argent> It's just Jean.

  • Argent smiles

<Azarea> Jean? Such a plain name for a pretty face :)

<Evil_guy> I don't suppose you'd like to join us after you get off work, Jean?

  • Evil_guy offers with a wink

<Argent> Why thank you for the offer... mr?

  • Argent fishes

<Evil_guy> Val is fine.

<Argent> Mr Val, but its not very proffessional of me to accept such an offer, but it is appreciated.

<Evil_guy> Maybe another time, then. When you're not being so .. professional.

  • Neva is watching the situation carefully
  • Argent will swing by the bar

<Argent> I survived

<Neva> Good.

<Neva> Now I'm going to ... strongly suggest that they leave.

<Argent> Val, from what I could gather is staying with Azarea.

  • Neva nods

<Argent> Oh and I mentioned you might drop by with some drink specials for them.

<Neva> hah

<Neva> That blond one looks like the weakest, so I'll suggest it to him.

<Neva> and hope that he can convince the rest they don't really want to spend their whole night in a boring place like this.

<Argent> You could spike the Val's guy's drink... that might be a little too aggressive though.

<Neva> I don't wanna piss him off- just get him out.

<Argent> you want me to let anyone else know?

<Neva> Let Geff know in case there's any trouble.

  • Argent nods

<Neva> But I hope there won't be.

  • Neva takes up a bottle of whiskey and casts her spell on the way across the room

<Argent> so do I, business was just picking up.

  • Argent will head off to warn Geff
  • Neva offers them the bottle, has a few words, and leaves
  • Neva is now known as DiablotinNarrator

<DiablotinNarrator> After a bit more discussion amongst themselves, the group take their things and head off.

  • Azarea is now known as Neva
  • Neva breathes a sigh of relief

<Neva> Take five.

  • Neva instructs you

<Neva> You probably need a drink after that, too.

  • Argent nods and follows her instructions

<Argent> I am curious though... where did you learn your casting skills?

<Neva> My mother.

<Neva> Sometime, you an' me are gonna have a little talk about how you knew what that guy was. But it'll have to be sometime when we're not working.

<Argent> Sometime

  • Neva pats you on the shoulder

<Neva> Good job.

<Argent> You did the hard part

  • Neva shrugs
  • Argent enjoys the break and a drink
  • Neva gets back to work

Solos

Denise suggests to Mikel that he could move in with Uncle Alain

<Mikel> (what's our setup? :)

  • Denise will pop by home in the late afternoon and hope for good luck ;p
  • Mikel will fortunately be there

<Denise> (CONVENIENT :V)

<Denise> Hey Mickey

  • Denise says after going to check on her mom

<Mikel> hi :)

<Denise> I weren't sure you'd be home :3

<Mikel> (Mom is asleep, let's say)

<Denise> how's thing's workin' out, with the helper?

<Mikel> pretty good - she comes in three days a week, so that gives me more time to take care of my own stuff, get out of the house an' that

  • Denise nods

<Mikel> how 'bout you?

<Denise> doin' okay

<Denise> how's Yvie?

<Denise> They got enough heat at the school now?

<Mikel> yeah, it's doing' all right now

<Denise> good

<Mikel> THey're keepin' the kids inside at lunch, not allowed to go out an' play

<Mikel> but that's prolly for the best

<Denise> yeha, too cold 'an prolly it ain't safe

<Denise> so, like, that'sw somethin; I wanted to ask you about

<Mikel> yeah?

<Denise> well, see, I was talkin' to Ander

<Denise> 'bout maybe settin up some kinda... I dunnno. Like a neighborhood watch, maybe?To help our folks out

  • Mikel nods, listening

<Denise> an' I thought too maybe that's something the channels would wanna help with, or some of 'em

<Denise> but you're the only one I know ;p

<Mikel> ah, heh

<Mikel> what sorta thing were you thinkin' of? like patrols?

<Denise> but he said you might know if there's other might be interested, maybe at least givin' some advice and the like

<Denise> patrols is what I'd like, yeah

<Denise> I dunno though

<Denise> I just feel like - there's some really nasty stuff out there what could really hurt someone

  • Mikel nods

<Denise> plus like, I dunno - maybe we could find out what they're even after there >.>

<Mikel> well, I think it sounds like a swell idea

  • Denise grins

<Denise> I knew I coudl count on you at least :)

<Mikel> as long as the folks who're doin' the watchin' are trained an' all. or at least, have some idea what they're doin'?

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> see, I figured there's folsk with the Mala Tajna, and also like there's lots of vets around now

<Mikel> yeah

<Denise> an' if they need special trainin' fort fey stuff, maybe the Channels could help

<Mikel> well, we could try, yeah

<Mikel> I been talkin' with folks about that, some

<Denise> oh?

<Mikel> well, like, 'bout what we know about that sorta thing, an' what we might be able to do

  • Denise nods

<Denise> well?

  • Mikel sighs

<Mikel> well, it ain't like there was lots of trees down in the old city

<Denise> no

<Denise> but Enver says there's lot of other fey down there now too

  • Mikel nods

<Mikel> Yeah - there were back in the old times too, I guess, but not as many as now

<Denise> huh

<Denise> he says he's trying to find out more about 'em too

<Mikel> Like those little mushroom fellas

<Denise> yeah

<Mikel> But Channel Silvia knows about more sorts, too

<Denise> yeah....

<Denise> did she ever go look at them trees?

<Mikel> Yeah, she went an' looked at 'em

<Mikel> Honestly, I think they gave her the creeps

<Mikel> It ain't natural

<Mikel> An' they're sick, too. diseased or somethin'.

<Denise> yeah, all the mushrooms on 'em

  • Mikel nods

<Denise> an' the whisperin'...

<Denise> but she didn't say nothin'?

<Denise> 'bout why or what or anythin'?

<Mikel> She communed with it. With the trees an' stuff I mean.

<Mikel> it don't usually work in the city, 'cause of too many buildings an' all, but there's enough trees there that it did, I guess

<Denise> ..'kay...

<Mikel> Anyway, she sorta... talked to it?

<Mikel> But I don't think it went too good

<Denise> huh

<Denise> what did the...trees... say?

<Mikel> I dunno. but after, she said it was like talkin' to the Arch. she usedta do that when she was a kid, you know?

<Mikel> that's what it reminded her of

<Denise> huh

<Denise> that can't be no good

<Mikel> yeah

<Mikel> she told us all to stay away from 'em for now. she was gonna talk to some higher-ups I guess.

<Denise> ....higher where? :p

<Denise> well prolly that's smart anyway

<Mikel> Like the Emperor or whoever, I guess? An' Sirris, an' whatever other Arch folks she knows?

<Denise> huh

<Mikel> like, her brother's the Lord Chancellor an' I guess if anyone can get to talk to the Emperor, he can.

<Denise> well - you tell me if you hear more, okay?

<Mikel> Yeah, I will.

<Denise> I keep forgettin that >.>

<Denise> I guess i met him though :o

<Denise> like, a buncha times

<Mikel> oh?

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> he comes to the club to talk to Ander

<Mikel> he does? :o

<Denise> yep ^_^

  • Denise sounds perhaps a little smug ;)

<Mikel> what for?

<Mikel> maybe he just goes to look at the dancers? ;)

<Denise> no, he never pays 'em no mind

<Denise> mostly they talk about borin' stuff

<Denise> i guess he wants Ander to some some politics thing, I dunno

<Mikel> huh

<Denise> he didn't seem real keen on it, though

<Mikel> Ander, you mean?

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> I don't think he fancied havin' folks tell him what to do

<Denise> something' about votin - you know I don't follow that stuff real well

  • Mikel nods with a shrug

<Denise> Ander for Emperor, that's what I say ;)

  • Mikel laughs

<Mikel> that'd be somethin' all right

<Denise> it'd be the best ^-^

<Denise> anyway, so, speakin' of other things what would be the best

<Denise> I was over talkin' to Alain the other day

<Mikel> oh, yeah? how's he?

<Denise> Well...he's okay.... you know:/

<Denise> workin' a lot

  • Mikel nods

<Denise> he was in to the club an' Aunt Hettie saw him for a bit too

<Denise> and then *we* were talkin' like, and had an idea

  • Mikel gives you a quizzical look

<Denise> so like

<Denise> I kno you wanna get out of the house an' all

<Denise> but like - what about movin' in with Alain?

  • Mikel nods

<Mikel> oh, huh

<Denise> Da couldn't say nothin' 'bout *that*

<Mikel> well, no, but like... would it be weird for him?

<Denise> I dunno

<Denise> I mean

<Denise> I ain't talked to him about it

<Denise> but i figured if you thought it sounded good maybe you could?

  • Mikel nods slowly

<Mikel> I know he was used to sharin' with Georges, is all... I dunno if it'd be like I was tryin' to butt in?

<Denise> well it'd be different

<Denise> but like

<Denise> maybe that'd be good, ya know? :/

  • Mikel nods

<Denise> I just feel like.... maybe it be good for him to have some company

<Mikel> yeah...

<Mikel> well, I can talk to him

  • Denise nods

<Denise> Aunt hettie said she thought it's be good

<Denise> an she knows best, when it comes to Alain

<Mikel> would he care if sometimes Romain stayed over with me, d'you think?

<Denise> Alain grew up livin' with Serges Yves :p

<Mikel> well...yeah.

<Denise> you just got *one* boyfriend - I dnt think he'll give you no trouble ;p

<Mikel> but I dunno if Serge Yves brought guys home a whole lot...

  • Mikel shrugs

<Mikel> I guess all I can do is ask.

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> like

<Denise> maybe it would be weird

<Denise> but I figure not having Georges around is weird already, so at least it would b weird but less lonely :/

<Mikel> yeah :/

<Mikel> it's not a bad idea

<Mikel> like you said, Da couldn't say nothin' about it

<Denise> yeah :)

<Mikel> I'll drop by an' talk to Alain.

<Denise> 'kay, good

  • Denise gives you a hug
  • Mikel hugs back

<Denise> we're a family, we oughtta all be able to take care of each other

<Mikel> well, we can do our best

  • Denise grins, because of course our best is good enough

<Denise> (done?)

<Mikel> (seems like a good stopping point :)

Dorien introduces Misery to Titania

  • Misery will hang out with you at the bar, Dorien, keeping an eye on what you do, getting to meet some of your regular customers
  • Dorien will be my normal shmoozy self, buttering up customers as best I can, introducing her around and generally helping her get a handle on how it works.

<Misery> Is it usually this busy?

<Dorien> Sometimes. Tonight we have a bunch of the crowd from the Penumbra as well while they're rebuilding, so it's more packed than usual.

  • Misery nods

<Misery> So there aren't usually this many Shadar-kai?

<Dorien> No, not nearly. Usually only a handful.

<Dorien> I can't help wondering if the Penumbra burning had something to do with the general fae weirdness that's been going on.

<Misery> Maybe. Or maybe just the usual racists.

<Dorien> :/

<Misery> but I could ask around a bit, maybe?

<Misery> maybe the fey just really like nightclubs

<Dorien> Couldn't hurt, I guess.

<Dorien> Hah

<Dorien> Well then they should stop destroying them.

<Misery> you know how it is when a party gets out of hand...

<Dorien> Yeah, well ussually heating up the party is a figure of speech.

  • Misery smiles

<Dorien> When the show starts and things quiet down a bit I want to introduce you to my "boss", Tits. I annoy her too, so you'll have that in common.

<Misery> Okay.

<Misery> What's she like? Do I need to suck up to her?

<Dorien> Nah, she'd probably hate you if you did. She's surprisingly down to earth for a royal.

<Dorien> Just be your normal, charming self.

<Misery> I can do that.

  • Dorien grins.
  • Dorien will try to flag her over if I see her mingling around during the show
  • Titania can be waved over at some point

<Titania> Hey Dorien, how's business?

<Dorien> Going like gangbusters. It's packed tonight.

<Titania> That's what I like to hear :)

<Dorien> Boss, I wanted to introduce you to my apprentice, Misery. Misery, this is my boss, the Princess Titania, or as we call her, Breasts. I mean Tits.

<Titania> Hi Misery - do they call you that because you have to put up with this guy?

<Misery> Not... exactly, but it doesn't hurt.

  • Titania smiles

<Titania> So, are you going to be around most nights now?

<Misery> Yeah, it seems that way.

<Dorien> Actually, I, um... wanted to let you know that I may not be able to work here much longer. I'm looking into other avenues of business. If that happens, I was

hoping that you could maybe keep Misery on in my place.

<Dorien> I'm showing her the ropes

<Titania> Oh, yeah? Is everything okay?

  • Titania asks you, looking a bit concerned

<Dorien> Yeah, yeah. Nothing bad. I'm just... trying to branch out. You can only really play this game for so long, you know?

  • Titania nods

<Titania> Well, I hope it goes well for you, and that we'll still see you around sometimes.

<Dorien> Oh, definitely. Who would drive you to drink if I wasn't here?

  • Titania smiles

<Dorien> I'll still be around. Checking up on Mis if nothing else.

<Titania> Oh, there are plenty of options...

  • Dorien grins

<Dorien> Anyway, I'll be bringing her along for the next few weeks to get used to things, if that's ok. I figure with the extra business it's good to have another pair

of hands at the counter anway

<Titania> Sure - we'll see how it goes.

  • Dorien nods

<Dorien> Thanks.

<Titania> Speaking of which, can I get two vials of vodare and a couple grams of dreammist?

<Dorien> I owe you one.

<Dorien> Of course!

  • Dorien will pull out his special reserves from under the counter.

<Dorien> Planning on having a party of your own tonight?

<Titania> Ah, you never know - just want to be prepared :)

<Dorien> (Is aubrienne/Tits common knowledge, or still under wraps?)

<Titania> (still under wraps)

<Dorien> (k)

<Dorien> Well, don't party too hard. That's powerful stuff. Not that I need to tell you that ;)

<Titania> Yes, Dad ;)

<Dorien> Hey, if I was your dad, I wouldn't be working here.

<Titania> heh

<Titania> That's very true. He's never been here.

<Titania> ... that I know of, anyway >.>

<Dorien> Not his scene, I imagine.

<Titania> I sincerely hope not.

<Dorien> Hah

<Dorien> Yeah, that might be a little awkward, huh?

<Titania> It's weird enough when my brothers come by - I don't need to think about my father too ;)

<Dorien> Well, you never know. We do get all types in here.

<Dorien> Even transdimensional fae, apparently :P

<Titania> Yeah, I've had about enough of that.

<Dorien> You and me both.

<Titania> Rude little bastards.

<Dorien> Have you looked into upgrading the wards yet?

<Titania> Yeah, it's being taken care of. But it's expensive.

<Dorien> I can imagine.

<Titania> I didn't think that a cabaret would need security as tight as the Treasury ;p

<Dorien> Well, if it keeps them out, it'll be worth it.

<Titania> Yeah.

<Titania> well, thanks for the refreshments

<Titania> Nice to meet you, Misery

<Dorien> For you? Any time. Have fun tonight.

<Misery> Ah, you too. I guess I'll see you around.

  • Titania will head off, then

<Dorien> See? Told you she was down to earth. She's good people.

<Misery> Yeah. I had to remember that when she talked about her father, that means the Emperor ;p

<Dorien> Yeah, it's weird at first, but you get used to it.

  • Misery nods

<Dorien> Not all wealthy pink folks are total asses.

<Misery> heh

<Misery> I'll take your word for it ;)

  • Misery will get more comfortable with serving some of the customers as the evening goes on
  • Dorien will make sure she takes home half the profits for the night as well, since she helped make and sell it.

<Misery> (aww :)

Zola and Denise chat about the unequal distribution of economic resources in Diablotin, and about boys

  • Denise is sorta bumming arund the bar trying not to bug whoever is on duty
  • Zola will approach the bar a short time after her set and order a drink.

<Zola> Hey kid, how's things?

<Denise> pretty okay, I guess, 'cept for all the fey

<Denise> you?

  • Zola lights her cigarette with one of the table lighters and gives it a few puffs.

<Zola> 'bout the same :)

  • Zola slips Neva some coins

<Denise> how's your knittin' goin'?

<Denise> keepin' your cat warm?

<Zola> Hah... I admit I haven't practiced much... but I did bury him in yarn a few times.

<Zola> Wanna come sit with? I'm not keen on a stool today :)

<Denise> oh, uh, sure, I got some time :)

  • Zola leads Denise to a free table, drink in one hand, cigarrette in the other.
  • Denise picks up her beer and follows

<Zola> I'd better make another date with your auntie soon or I'll forget all she told me...

<Denise> oh yeah, you oughtta come by for sure - last time was lot of fun :)

<Denise> I still been workin' some on that shawl some

<Zola> Might bring Bastien by, let you meet him. Not that he usually has much to say.

<Denise> that'd be swell!

<Denise> I ain' never had no kinda pet, or animal friend like that, not really

<Denise> My sister Yvie's got a little kiutten now though

<Zola> Aww...

<Denise> Fluffly little orange'n white critter called Spark :3

<Zola> Good name for a familiar, is she so inclined? :P

<Denise> Aw, ain't no one in my family got that kinda thing, not so far as I know

<Denise> I figger we're big enough that we'd'a run into it by now ^-^

<Denise> Yvie's real smart though

<Zola> Hmm, not sure how House Rat figures into all that stuff they've learned about bloodlines.

<Denise> I dunno. Ander's gotta though.

<Denise> he's a sorcerer

<Denise> but he hasn't got a familiar

<Denise> maybe unless you count ralf ;)

<Zola> Ha!

<Zola> If you ever catch them talking in their own language, that might be a sign.

<Zola> I bet there's gotta be some potential in your family anyhow, coming from such a small population?

<Denise> heh, nothin' other'n commo or rat that I heard ^-6

<Denise> ^-^

<Denise> Maybe, I dunno

<Denise> I guess there's folks who keep track of all that sorta thing though

<Denise> Like, they use to keep reacl close track back when folks were livin' in the undercity

<Denise> and there's some old folks who still do a little of that I guess

<Zola> Oh, huh... like a registry of who's inclined to sorcery or to being a priest?

<Denise> well, we didn't have priests, an' I dunno if it is in families for Channels, or if it was back then

<Denise> I think they just kept track of all soerts of stuff like who was marryin' who

  • Denise shrugs

<Denise> but like

<Denise> even now if someone has a baby prolly one of the old folks 'll come around to meet it an stuff

<Denise> like my baby cousin Avionne :3

<Zola> That might be a little creepy, y'think? Suddenly this wisened old crone you don't know shows up at your door to lay her peepers on the child.

  • Zola laughs

<Zola> At least if you aren't used to keeping in touch with them

<Denise> I dunno

<Denise> That's just how it goes, it don't seem so weird

<Denise> I mean

<Denise> lots of folks come 'round to meet a new baby

<Zola> I guess if they're subtle about it :P

<Zola> I guess I just don't know many people who're having kids these days :)

<Denise> no?

<Denise> well, I guess that ain't somthing a lot of folks who'd be workin' here might be wantin'

<Zola> I don't have much family in the city... and.. yeah, exactly

<Denise> yeah, I sure ain't ready for any of that

<Denise> My friend maisie just had a little boy though

<Zola> It might not be so bad if you've set your mind on it, but who wants all that when you're not expecting it?

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> that's more how it goes with folks I now

<Denise> Well, I guess Uncle Thierry and Aunt Rosemary were wantin to have a baby

<Denise> Maise weren't

<Denise> She's doin' okay though

<Zola> I guess that's natural, though...

<Denise> he fella's still around, at least

<Zola> She's got family to help out?

<Denise> not really

<Denise> she ain't ever got on real well with her folks

<Zola> That's a shame :/

<Denise> that's why she was with the swarm

<Denise> well, her da ain't ever been around much an her mam's a drinker

  • Denise shrugs

<Zola> Oughta get those snoopy old folks to lend a hand

<Denise> maybe

<Denise> but like, there;s so many folks liek Maisie, ya'know? :/

<Zola> C'mon in, evaluate her mystical capacity and change some diapers :P

<Denise> heh

<Denise> well, they got friends, anyway

<Denise> I been over thee some to help out, an I know mam said she'd help her how she could too

<Zola> Yeah, maybe the city ought to set up a fountain for morning after potions.

<Denise> Ain' no one gonna spend money like that on the Shambles :|

<Zola> Might not be so shambly if they did.

<Denise> yeah, but like

<Denise> they don't care really

<Denise> see

<Denise> 'cause they need folks who ain't got nowhere else to go if they're gonna find folks to take all the shit jobs out there

<Denise> Workin' in the factories an all

<Zola> Well...

  • Denise makes a face
  • Zola bites her bright red bottom lip

<Denise> ain't no one gonna help out out 'cept ourselves

<Zola> Not *nobody*...

<Zola> There've got schools and stuff set up... it's not like everyone who has is trying to keep everyone who doesn't from getting ahead

<Zola> There's just enough selfish assholes in the world to make it look that way sometimes, I guess :|

<Denise> no, but they don't gotta *try*, do thay>?

<Denise> that just how it is

<Denise> an sure there's schools, if you can go to 'em

<Denise> just 'caiuse they're free don't mean it's something you can afford

<Denise> I didn't go most of the time 'cause Mikel an I had to look after Yvie when she was little

<Denise> 'cause mam had to go work when she could

<Denise> an Mickie is smarter'n me so it made more sense anyway

<Zola> :/

<Denise> Plus like

<Denise> the money for 'em ain't all comin' from the government, if you know what I mean

<Denise> >.>

  • Zola isn't really sure what to say...
  • Denise shrugs

<Denise> that's just how it is, anyway

  • Zola nods

<Denise> But it ain't like there's no one lookin' out for folks, neither

<Zola> I wish I had a good idea to fix it all.

<Denise> UI figure it's more like.... lotf of folks doin;' little things, maybe

<Denise> Like I got this friend Swinney, an' he ain't even 15 an he's not really got no one to look after him always. An I can't fix that but I cam make sure he's got

warm mittens, right?

<Zola> Yeah :/

<Zola> But you'd think in a city like this he shouldn't need to worry about mittens.

<Denise> maybe

<Denise> I don't know much 'bout other cities

<Zola> There's just so much here, you'd think it'd ... smooth out a bit more

<Denise> but we got them stupid ice fairies :p

<Zola> Maybe they just need mittens

<Denise> Well they ain't gettin' 'em from me ;p

<Denise> anyway

<Denise> I didn't mean to bring all that up :/

<Zola> It's alright, kid.

<Zola> Not that it isn't a downer :P

<Zola> But that's life too, right? It can't all be song & dance.

<Zola> ... I'm not rolling in bills or anything, but if someone's really in need, I could probably help you out?

<Zola> Or maybe try to convince one of my boys to talk to their folks :)

  • Denise grins

<Denise> I think prolly we got some ways of gettn to some of them types, anyway

<Zola> Who says my ways aren't more ... influential?

<Zola> :)

<Denise> well, I ain't gonna say no if you wanna put in some words

<Denise> or whatever >.>

<Zola> Hah

<Zola> Speaking of... I've been learning a bit of Rat.

<Zola> Mostly naughty things, so far, but also some of the basics.

<Zola> <r> Hello, my name is Zola, and I am a singer.

  • Denise grins

<Zola> And some other more indecent things :P

<Denise> <r> that's pretty good ^-^

<Denise> <r> you been learnin' that from Bright?

<Zola> Uh... yeah, and my other boy, Noren.

<Zola> Makes learning a little more fun :P

<Denise> you got another Rat boy? :o

<Denise> that's just hoggin' ;p

  • Zola laughs

<Zola> Oh, now, Bright's hardly hogged :)

<Denise> oh yeah?

<Zola> He's not much for being stationary.

<Zola> Noren and I used to be madly in love ... but his parents weren't too pleased about how he chose to invest some of their money and they made him leave the city.

<Denise> awww

<Denise> is he back, or do you like.... send him letters?

<Zola> Yes, it was all quite tragic at the time.

<Zola> Yes, he's back in town after the end of the war and we've been ... getting to know each other again :)

<Zola> He's been checking in on his investment :D

  • Denise nods as though she totlly followed that
  • Zola holds up her index fingers and gives her boobs a tap with them

<Denise> But if you're in love with Noren, how come you're still seein' Bright?

  • Zola sighs

<Zola> I don't know what I want right now, kid.

<Zola> It's not the same kind of love with Noren as it was, y'know? That was ... fierce. Right now it's more... like an old friend... that you fuck?

  • Denise blinks

<Zola> I love him lots, but I'm not sure it's the only kind of love I have to give?

<Denise> Well, I don't know nothin' 'bout love, I guess, not really

<Denise> :/

<Zola> Aw, you'll find out soon, Gods willing :)

<Zola> I hope it swallows you like a flood ^_^

<Denise> that sounds scary @_@

<Zola> Oh it is! But it's a glorious scary!

<Denise> Like bein' in a tough fight?

<Zola> You're a rough 'n' tough gal, right? You get into f- YES

<Zola> EXACTLY

<Zola> Exhilirating and scary all at the same time

  • Denise grins

<Zola> You could lose yourself to it, and you WANT to lose yourself to it, but there's no guarantee it'll end well.

<Denise> hm.

  • Denise tries to imagine feeling that way about Enver

<Zola> But of course you don't get the brass ring by holding onto the ride with both hands.

<Denise> ...I dn't knwo what that means >.>

<Zola> You know, on a carousel?

<Zola> They dangle a brass ring and if you grab it, you win a prize?

<Denise> oh, I guess I ain't ever seen that

<Denise> I ain't been on that many carousels

<Zola> Well maybe you and your boy have something to do on your next outing :D

  • Denise smiles

<Denise> maybe :)

  • Zola sighs

<Zola> I do have to figure out what I'm going to do soon though... or talk to Noren :/

<Zola> Don't want him to get hurt or anything.

<Denise> yeah.... you ain't worried about bright though? On acount of him... movin' around more?

<Zola> About hurting his feelings?

<Denise> yeah?

<Zola> Well... I just don't think that's his thing... expecting me to be his girl, and vice versa.

<Denise> ahh.

<Zola> He might be disappointed if I decided to settle down with Noren... but hurt?

<Zola> Unless I've read him all wrong.

<Denise> My friend Mireva's like that - she just wanst some fun, I guess

<Denise> But she don't get all put out about mostly mostly

  • Zola nods

<Zola> These days I'm worried I want both, you know? To be free and chained at the same time.

<Denise> ...an I bet you don't know how that'd work?

  • Denise sure doens't :V

<Zola> Not really, kid. At least not with someone who isn't just like me... I don't think that's Noren's style :/

<Denise> aw, yeah :/

<Denise> I didn't mean to get us on another downer though :/

<Zola> Hah

<Zola> Well, at least thinking about the last topic is a good way to keep perspective about my own problems -_-

<Denise> I guess, yeah

<Zola> I do recommend you stick to one gentleman for now.

<Denise> well, that don't seem too hard :)

  • Zola laughs

<Zola> So you think I went out of my way to pick up two lovely gentlemen?

<Zola> Well, maybe...

<Denise> I figure you got lots more to choose from

<Denise> there's always guys gogglin' after you when you're singin'

<Zola> Bright DID introduce himself after a show >_>

  • Denise grins
  • Zola looks over your shoulder briefly

<Zola> Looks like your boss and his familiar are back in their spots :)

<Denise> oh! I gotta run then

  • Denise smiles

<Denise> It were nice to chat though, even if it weren't all cheery

<Zola> Yeah, nice talkin', kid. Next time you'll have to tell me about your trip down in mushroom land.

<Denise> Oh, yeah, sure I will, if you wanna hear it, an about getiin' turned to ice too ;p

<Zola> o_O

<Denise> I'll catch you later ^-^

Denise and Zola talk fey and boys

<Denise> do we have a set up?

<Zola> Maybe nothing special again? :P

<Zola> or maybe after the turned to ice comment Zola'd tell you sometime to come by her dressing room when you're free?

<Denise> sure

  • Zola is in her dressing room a good bit before her set, then.
  • Denise feels totally out of place backstage, especially with all the performers and stuff, but will fine her way to your door and knock
  • Zola answers the door shortly. "Hey kid! C'mon in."

<Denise> hwy Miss Zola..

  • Denise looks around

<Zola> You have got to tell me about what happened.

  • Zola gestures to the divan she has along one wall.

<Zola> Go ahead and take a seat if you want.

<Zola> I've just been putting on my face.

  • Denise looks a little dazzled with all the shiny things in here, but will sit, careful ot to squish anything

<Denise> you wanna hear 'bout the ice thing?

<Zola> Yeah, what's that about? @_@

<Denise> well, you heard how them fey are gettin all over the place, right?

  • Zola sits back down at her lit vanity to continue her work

<Zola> Yeah, it's in all the papers.

<Denise> we was all over at Dorien an' Argent's after work one morning, and a bunch of the little ones were landin' on the roof

<Denise> this was when it was just first startin' up, so we didn'ty knwo what was happenin, so we all went to look

<Denise> there was a bunch of 'em, an' one had a fiddle that was makin' people dance - some kind of magic thing

<Zola> Yeah?

<Denise> I got caught by that pretty hard, but other folks took out the fiddler, an it was good nighht to the rest pretty quick after that

<Zola> Aww

<Denise> other folks were Argen and Dorien and Mis, and Dorien's cousin, Gen

<Zola> Shame I wasn't there... they teach us bards how to try to counter that sort of thing

<Denise> She was stayin; there ;cause her place had no heat

<Denise> oh yeah? That'd be handy

<Zola> Gen from here? Sad-face Gen?

<Denise> yeah, she does tables here

<Denise> anyway, they were cleainin' up the rest of the little ones, and this other fey comes 'round the corner

<Denise> not little little like the flyin' ones, but still short. like so tall

  • Denise demonstrates with her hand

<Denise> and with a big poiinty beard of ice, and carrying an hammer an' chisel

<Zola> Sounds kinda familiar. Was his beard all bloody?

  • Denise thinks

<Denise> no, I don't think so, but it was real sharp

<Denise> had to be careful not to get cut on it

<Denise> but he said this little rhyme when I came up an' whalloped him

<Denise> an it turned me into, like, living ice

<Zola> Like a statue?

  • Denise shakes her head

<Denise> I could still move an all

<Denise> but if I weren't careful...

<Denise> :|

<Denise> like when I punched him again, little bit of my hands all flaked off @_@

  • Zola stops in the middle of applying eyeshadow D:

<Denise> I figure it coulda been worse'n that though, if I weren't more careful @_@

  • Zola shudders visibly

<Zola> Oh just the idea @_@

<Denise> it weren't real swell

<Zola> You got yourself fixed up right though, yeah?

<Denise> had to get a priest to fix me up, after

<Denise> it was a curse, I guess

<Zola> Awful. Did you get it? Or did it get away?

<Denise> oh, we got it alright. it melted.

<Zola> Huh.

<Zola> I'll have to get you to try to tell me more about what all those things looked like... maybe Hugo and I came across something about them in our readings.

<Zola> When there's some paper handy, I mean.

<Denise> you been readin' up a bout fey?

<Zola> Yeah, we had a bit of a run-in ourselves... wanted to know if we were crazy.

<Denise> oh yeah?

<Zola> Hugo was all out of sorts after that first attack here. What with Eirini just up and vanishing after charming him into bed with her.

<Denise> ...that Psyrene dame?

<Zola> Yeah, the "songbird".

  • Denise tries to remember

<Zola> Then he met this other woman who sortof reminded him of her, or of the same woman as she did... and someone was talking about his "songbird" and how much he loved her... then he up and died... author by the name of Bouthillion, so we went to his funeral.

<Denise> okay...

<Zola> Eirini didn't show up, if she was his songbird, but we got invited out to a dinner party by the other red headed dame, and we decided to go.

<Zola> It was likely nothing right? And who wouldn't want to go to a dinner party?

<Zola> Well, it was something after all... we're not sure what exactly, but we were the only two humans there, I figure.

<Denise> ...they were all fey?

<Zola> We left disoriented and confused and at least for me, feeling a little violated... so we decided to look into things.

  • Denise looks concerned

<Zola> Yeah, I think so, all six of them.

<Denise> they didn't hurt you or nothin', did they miss Zola?

<Zola> I don't think so... exactly... but I got the feeling maybe the host uh... fed off us somehow?

<Zola> Hugo got all scratched up, though.

<Denise> that don't sound good at all

<Zola> The wine we drank was no ordinary wine, and the woman who owned the vinyards that made it is something called a handmaiden... I guess they can go into these rages if they drink their own wine?

<Zola> Not sure she meant harm exactly, but it took the hostess to calm her down. I barely remember noticing it.

<Zola> But when we left his jacket was all torn and his arm scratched.

<Denise> ...huh

<Denise> so what're you gonna do about it?

<Zola> Well, when we went with Hugo's uncle Loick to get some books from the Imperial Library, they were already taken out by this fellow named Xandhil Orecalo, who was researching things for Aubrienne and Lathra. So we talked with them, and Aubrienne talked to Tits about it.

<Zola> Well then she tells her father and he wants to talk to us about it @_@

<Zola> So we told him what we learned... I'm not sure they're really related to all of what's going on though. Some of them have been here for years.

  • Denise nods to the first part because she knew about Aubrienne and Lathra and then stops

<Denise> the Emperor :o

<Zola> Yeah, not just him even, Princess Ilphere, the Warlord, and a Reverend Mother too.

<Zola> If telling that group isn't going to help, I don't think telling anyone will @_@

<Denise> yeah - that don't sound like no fun

<Denise> I got Mickey to talk to Channel Sylvia about the trees in the shade

<Denise> prolly she's gonna talk to them too

<Denise> them folks can sort ot all the stuff 'bout like... arches an' whatever.

<Zola> It wasn't so bad. Tits was there. And it was good to know that we didn't have to dwell on whether all those fey had bad intentions or not... since they could instead.

<Denise> I just worry 'bout regular folks

  • Denise nods

<Zola> Yeah, you gotta tell me about those trees.

  • Zola finishes with her makeup and fishes around in a drawer for a tin of losenges before popping one in her mouth.

<Denise> well if you been talkin to miss Aubrienne an'...miss.... Lathra, I figured you musta hear 'bout them

<Denise> cause it was on account of 'em we went to look at 'em in the first place

<Denise> I was lookin' to tell 'em 'bout what Mickie said too, but I don't know 'em so well, to track 'em down when they ain't busy :|

<Zola> I heard some, yeah, but not your telling of it :)

<Zola> Mickey, that's your brother yeah? Cousin?

<Denise> brother, yeah. Mikel.

<Denise> He's learnin' to be a Channel too

<Zola> Right, he's got the pet... but not the kitten?

<Zola> That's a neice?

<Denise> my sister, Yvie :)

<Denise> for Yvonne, after my gran.

<Zola> Sometimes if I haven't met people it's like keeping a bag of pencils in order.

<Zola> -_-

<Zola> What'd he have to say about the trees?

<Denise> well, Channel Sylvia went to talk to 'em I guess

<Denise> she said that it felt like the Arch did

<Denise> talkin' to 'em

<Zola> The Arch talks? o_o

<Denise> she was a Guardian when she were little

<Denise> so I guess maybe she talked to it?

<Denise> I guess this didn't go so well though, but I don't know how

<Denise> but I guess it were like.... sick or somethin' too

<Denise> when we was there we saw these big mushrooms growin' all over the trees

<Denise> I guess thery were like, evil

<Denise> so that can't be no good

<Zola> Huh, see anything else below?

<Denise> I don't think they went down

<Denise> but, um, my, um, boyfriend's down in the undercity a lot, an' he says there'slot of fey down there too, just like up here

  • Denise does blush a little when she talks about her boyfriend :3

<Zola> I guess something important of theirs might have been destroyed at Seda Grove... so maybe they're here because they were pushed out or ... they're here for revenge, I don't know >_>

<Denise> an I guess the channles are lokkin' into that some too

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> I were thinkin' maybe we could catchone an find oout what they want

<Denise> I was gonna tlak to Argent 'bout that

<Denise> (talk)

<Zola> Some of them might just be drawn here by other forces though... from what I read.

<Denise> maybe

<Zola> Like if one of the powerful ones, like a hamadryad or something.

<Denise> bt I bet the'll know somethin'

<Zola> >_>

<Zola> Yeah...

<Zola> We talked to one of the party guests about things and he made it sound like something big is coming...

<Denise> liek that thing what came out from here?

<Zola> I think he meant bigger.

<Zola> Told us to be careful.

<Denise> :|

<Denise> ...who was this?

<Zola> I guess he's been around here all his life. Tied to some buried river nearby, and can't leave.

<Zola> >_>

  • Denise asks for No Reason >.>

<Zola> Uh, well, I don't know that I should say exactly...

<Zola> But Tits vouches for him.

<Denise> hmm

<Denise> ...what river?

<Zola> I don't know. I guess it's all walled up underground.

<Zola> You'd think it'd be near here though?

<Denise> theres' lots of rivers run through the sewers still

<Zola> Yeah, it surely still does, or he'd die, I think... but it might not be easy to find.

<Zola> And you might not want to...

<Zola> What I read about his kind didn't make them out to be the friendliest.

<Denise> oh yeah?

<Denise> what kind?

<Zola> Well, who knows if it's true, right? Old folklore. Maybe the only person to get their story to paper made one legitimately angry.

<Denise> maybe.

<Zola> The story is they can tempt you into the water by making you think they're a big pile of treasure... and then their kiss can drown you.

<Denise> but, like, part of what the channles did, before, is dealing with stuff like this

<Denise> so they might know more, ya know?

<Denise> hmm

<Zola> Well, surely they'll tell Channel Sylvia about the ones we met, right?

<Denise> I got no idea

<Denise> you said there was a reverend Mother, but I don't figure the church makes too much of the Channels

<Zola> You wouldn't think they'd pass up on the experts when the city's crowded with flying menaces

  • Denise shrugs

<Denise> I ain't got no idea how they all think

<Zola> Well, if it worries you, maybe you can tell Mikel and if his folk want to come ask me some questions it'd be fine?

<Zola> I just don't want to spread names around when those I met might just be trying to get along with their lives?

<Denise> right

<Zola> One of them made me a dress! I have got to show you!

  • Zola stands and goes to her wardrobe

<Zola> Before the wierd stuff started happening, he said I should drop by and maybe we could come to some arrangement, seeing as I'm on the stage...

<Zola> Seemed like a smart plan, right?

<Denise> mmhmmm..

  • Denise sounds dubious

<Zola> Well, until the wierdness at least...

<Zola> But I checked with the other guy and he didn't say there was any sort of harm from his dresses, right? So I stopped in...

<Zola> He took my measurements and all, and he made THIS.

  • Zola pulls it out and holds it up to her.

<Zola> In just a few days @_@

<Zola> I saw the fabric before he started working, not a thing on it!

<Denise> did you show aunt Hettie?

<Zola> Not yet >_>

<Zola> It feels a little bit like cheating on her, with all the good work she's done

<Zola> I figured I could just try to mention her to Vernel, but...

<Denise> un huh >.>

<Zola> Who needs a second pair of hands when you can do this in THREE DAYS.

<Zola> That's their thing though... making clothing, so it's like cheating, right?

<Denise> (it is or it'sn not?)

<Zola> (It's like Vernel is cheating.)

<Zola> (Oops)

<Denise> yeah, prolly

<Denise> it is real nice though

  • Denise grudgingly admits

<Zola> Anyway, for now I'm saving it for a special show or something >_>

<Denise> But I bet aunt hettie xcould do somethin' like that too - maybe not in just days though

<Denise> but she's been workin on some stuff for her friend Mrs Korisse

<Zola> Yeah, that's the thing right? She doesn't have time to put that much work into one thing.

<Denise> yeah, maybe

<Denise> if she were paid right I bet she could

<Zola> Yeah, maybe there's still opportunity with him, like he might be able to point to someone who's not quite so fast >_>

<Zola> And needs an apprentice to help her get into the door for fancier clients?

  • Zola goes to put the dress back in the wardrobe.

<Denise> I can't figure aunt hettie bein' no one's apprentice

<Zola> Hah, true... but sometimes you have to put in your time as second fiddle just to get some credibility.

  • Denise doesn't loookn convinced >.>

<Denise> I dunno

<Denise> proilly if she did ckothes for one of miss Korisse's shopws she'd be doin' okay

<Zola> Well it's all optional anyhow, she's doing a great job here... she might not even want to deal with snooty clients in the first place.

<Denise> (mrs Korisse, ugh that was terribel typing)

<Zola> What sort of shows does this Mrs. Korisse do?

<Denise> She does movies, I guess

<Zola> Oh yeah? Costumer like her?

<Denise> but they're all like... real sad, I guess

<Denise> No, she makes 'em

<Denise> Korisse Severin?

<Denise> Aunt Hettie worked with her an' miss Aubrienne at the Hesperage afore the war

<Zola> She knows Korisse Severin :o

<Zola> Fancy.

<Denise> they're real good friends

<Denise> that how she got the job here, I guess?

<Zola> Sometimes you need to be in the right mood for a sad movie, but they can be some of the best ones.

<Denise> maybe

<Denise> I ain't been to see any >.>

<Denise> I don't get to the movies too much, mostly

<Zola> Maybe you should take Enver to one, and then he can be there to comfort you when it gets all teary :)

<Denise> heh

<Denise> ww?

<Denise> (oh no, I'm in the ww ;p the heh was a ww though)

<Denise> we been to one before, but it were a funny one

<Denise> at a real nice theater, up in the pav

<Zola> Oooh, a real date then :)

<Denise> well, sorta

<Denise> that was our first date, an' we went with Argent an' Mireva

<Zola> Oh yeah?

<Zola> Argent, he's not bad to look at >_>

<Denise> he's been' seein my frined Mireva a few times since then

<Zola> Well, if you're looking for one that's still playing and is sure to draw a few tears, try The Nurse, it's a story of love during wartime and it's just so sad and so happy ;_;

<Denise> hh, well, I'll try an' remember that :)

<Denise> (huh)

<Zola> It's guaranteed to get you some cuddle time in :)

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> I don't figure we need a movie for that

  • Denise says, looking a little red faced

<Zola> Maybe not :D

<Zola> But sometimes boys think of petting awful quick...

  • Denise gives you a somewhat confused look

<Zola> You know, you're just cuddled up, enjoying being close, and they start to get a little frisky.

<Denise> oh

<Denise> We just been.... goin' slow with stuff, anyway >.>

  • Zola nods

<Zola> You've got plenty of time :)

<Denise> yeah :)

<Denise> I figure there ain't no rush

<Denise> 'cept I gotta get goin' to check on the boss :)

<Zola> Yeah, my set should be up soon too. Catch y' later kid :)

<Zola> ---

<Zola> I am vaguely sad I haven't had the opportunity to pay Denise to punch someone

<Denise> alas!

<Denise> not on screen anyway

<Zola> yeah

<Zola> Someday >_>

<Denise> :)

Argent, Denise, Zola and Aubrienne share information at a booth in the cabaret

Denise asks Argent to see if Aubrienne is free to share information about fey, one evening at the cabaret

  • Denise will tell Argent to see if Aubrienne wants to know what she heard back via the channels about the trees in the shade
  • Denise assumes he does :V
  • Argent does
  • Argent will ask Aubrienne if she is interested

<Argent> ... at worst, it will at least be an interesting way to pass the time... and we can tell you about the fight with the fey in the streets we had too.

Aubrienne can't make it right away but will join Argent and Denise as soon as she is free

  • Denise will be waiting in a booth, then :3
  • Argent will let her know where we'll be and she's welcome to join when she can
  • Argent heads to the booth
  • Denise has a fresh beer and permission to slack :V

<Argent> Aubrienne will come join us if or when she gets a moment

<Denise> okay :)

<Denise> welll....

  • Argent sits down opposite Denise

<Denise> prolly i can hold off on the gates stuff, but there's some other stuff I found out from Miss Zola

<Denise> what I think she already knows anyway

<Denise> Like - Hugo an Zola went to this crazy party after this writer guy dies and they're pretty sure like everyone there was fey of some kind

<Denise> they got all wacked out on the wine and don't remeber it all, but one of 'em clawed up Hugo's arm

<Denise> and Miss Zola says she went an' talked to one of 'em after an he told her a bit more - said something big was comin', but wouldn't say what

<Argent> so, this was before the antler guy

<Denise> Um, I think the party was for sure

<Denise> but I ain't sure 'bout the rest

<Argent> did she mention any names?

<Denise> she seemed to think that antler guy weren't it though, whatever he was talkin about

<Denise> No >.>

<Denise> She woudlnt say in case, like, they're fey but also they're just folks trying to live here

  • Denise doesn't sounds satisfied

<Denise> She said the kind of fey this guy was was linked to one of the rivers under the city

<Argent> hmmm

<Argent> well to be honest I don't know much about fey other than the cold iron part.

<Denise> yeah, well, me neither

<Denise> Enver said there's more down in the undercity now too

<Denise> an he's been tryin' to learn more about 'em

<Argent> they could be just trying to live or not... but the whole quickling in the club and the antler guy makes me feel a little less live and let live.

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> an, like, clearly this guy knows *somethin* right?

<Argent> that ice guy left a hammer and chisle behind... im trying to see if someone can identify the workings, since they were fine made, but im not having much luck.

<Denise> well, maybe he brought it with 'im from wherever they came from :p

<Argent> probably true but I though it might be worth a shot.

<Argent> so more underground too...

<Denise> yup

<Denise> I guess it ain' a surprise after the mushrooms

<Argent> nope

<Denise> Miss Zola said they've been talkin' to, like, the emperor an' all @_@

<Denise> like, she had to go an tell him all about what happened

<Denise> an Mr. Hugo an' Miss Aubrienne and...miss Lathra

  • Denise still doesn't know what the term for a SK cleric is

<Argent> guess things are getting that big, and it is Tit's place, maybe just worried about family.

<Denise> yeah, with the anthler guy an' the stabbin' and all that mess form back a fewe months, yeah

<Argent> well, we can ask Aubrienne about it when she gets here.

<Denise> yeah...

  • Denise looks around

<Denise> I dunno

<Denise> I mean I guess it's good that folks like that are lookin' into things, but I feel like if I really wanna know what's goin' on I don't wanna just leave it for someone else

<Argent> from what I dug around about that incident back then with the staff, I think, Jonas, the musician was involved... there is something odd about him, but I cant figure it out.

<Argent> Yeah, I agree

<Denise> I dunno, I ain't ever talked to him

<Aubrienne> Well, 'odd' is relative, now isn't it?

<Denise> yeah...

<Argent> Hi Aubrienne, Zola

  • Aubrienne will slide into the booth

<Denise> oh hey :)

  • Argent scoots over to make room

<Aubrienne> Hey kids.

  • Denise also scoots
  • Zola slips in beside one or the other

<Zola> Afternoon kids.

<Denise> We ain't really kids, though, I'm almost seventeen now an Argent is older'n me :p

<Aubrienne> And I have to agree with Denise. I'm increasingly unhappy with waiting for others to take care of this whole fey mess.

<Aubrienne> Didn't mean to offend.

<Aubrienne> Void, spend enough time with the shadar-kai, we all seem like kids.

<Denise> yeah, I guess...

  • Argent shrugs

<Argent> Hey no offence given.

<Aubrienne> Anyway, as to Jonas...I don't *think* he's a problem.

<Zola> So you're saying you think Jonas was involved with that first attack?

<Aubrienne> Wait, really?

<Argent> I think he was involved in rescuing the staff from Tit's vault

  • Aubrienne frowns.

<Zola> What makes you say that?

<Aubrienne> But Tits seems so sure of him.

<Argent> He was seen carrying a staff leaving one day, and when he was questioned about it, he denied every having it... its not something he normally carries.

  • Denise looks at the other girls

<Zola> Did anyone ever figure out what kind of staff it was?

<Argent> never had a chance, did we

<Argent> its circumstantial, I know, but with the other oddity about him, and all the strangeness, it does make you think.

  • Zola looks to Aubrienne, "You tell them?"

<Argent> ... so what don't we know?

<Aubrienne> Well now, that could take a bit.

<Denise> 'bout Jonas though

<Aubrienne> Though this particular tidbit is more your secret than mine, Zola.

  • Denise waits

<Zola> Well, it's not like a dozen people don't know by now anyhow...

<Zola> You two just be discreet, because Tits vouches for him, and if someone goes and says something to someone who's angry for all the chaos the fey've been causing and he gets hurt, it'll be on us.

  • Zola says to Denise and Argent

<Zola> He's the one I said was tied to a river nearby, Denise. Been here his whole life I imagine, can't go too far either.

<Argent> so he's a fey.

<Denise> huh

<Zola> Yeah, but like I said, Tits vouched for him before her father and everyone else at the meeting.

<Argent> so she knew before

  • Aubrienne cocks her head to the side, and you think you can hear faint whispers for a moment.

<Denise> maybe he put a spell on her, like that fiddler what makde folks dance :p

  • Aubrienne looks around spotting Jed just at the edge of the stage.

<Aubrienne> Oh for...I'll be back in a second.

<Zola> Well... it seemed like not that long before, but she wasn't surprised when she learned.

  • Zola frowns

<Denise> I mean

<Denise> he even playes the fiddle :p

<Zola> Yeah, I guess I'm a bit worried about that, but you'd think that her father would be looking out for her in that, right?

<Denise> I don't know how that all works

<Argent> enchanting leaves signs.

<Argent> traces

<Argent> of the magic

<Denise> well maybe someone oughtta have a look :p

<Denise> 'course straight up lyin' don't leave no traces >.>

<Denise> well, not like that

<Zola> I suppose, but that'd just be like checking the teacher's work, right?

<Zola> Princess Ilphere's a powerful sorceror, and there was Reverend Mother Alma too.

<Denise> (the Emperor is also a ppowerful sorcerer ;)

  • Zola taps her cigarette anxiously and puts the holder back into her lips

<Denise> yeah well, I ain't got a great track record with teachers ;p

<Zola> (Oops... he is? o_O)

<Denise> (yes)

<Argent> seems unlikely something like that would go unnoticed

<Zola> The Reverend did ask for us to try to score some possessions from the fey... but I don't know if that could tell us if he has anything bad in mind for the club, or Tits >_>

<Denise> she wants.... their stuff?

<Zola> Yeah, I guess she must use it for divination?

<Denise> huh

<Denise> well, anyway

<Zola> I guess I oughta swipe a page from his music or something and send it her way.

<Denise> even if she vouches for 'im if he knows more 'n he's saying than someone oughtta have more of a chat

<Zola> But how do you know that before you have the chat?

<Denise> yo're the one who said he said somethin' big was comin'

<Zola> :/

<Zola> Yeah, I guess... but what if the Emperor's already had a chat?

<Argent> could make him more inclined to talk to you

<Argent> if he's already had to spill his guts once

<Zola> I suppose...

<Denise> yeah - what the emperor knows ain't helpin' us.

  • Zola looks pretty wary

<Zola> Well, it will in time, right?

<Zola> Once they know what's up, they'll try to stop it, or... figure it out at least?

<Denise> I guess, but, like, meanwhile things ain't so great for folks who aint powerful sorcerers and who don't got no guards around 'em all the time

<Argent> I'm not the person to sit by and let others fix things for us, neither is Denise.

<Denise> yeah

<Zola> What sort of choice do we have about that? It seems like something big is happening, and we barely know anything.

<Denise> that's just circles though, 'specially if yo don't wanna ask folks who might know more

<Argent> and there are folk who are willing to go out and try to fill some of the holes in what we do know

<Argent> we just need to get aligned.

<Zola> Isn't that the Emperor's job? The guard?

<Denise> yeah well

<Zola> What're we going to do, gumshoe about the place and hope none of the fey we find try to murder us?

<Zola> Hugo's already got his head stuck in the sand.

<Denise> the Emperor's job lots of "jobs" he don't always do so well when it comes to some folks, and the guard too.

<Zola> Just from meeting a half dozen fey who didn't do anything more than have dinner with us and scratch up his arm.

<Argent> you don't think thats the right attitude.

<Zola> No, I mean... not if Tits is in danger. I just don't see that any of us know anyone better at figuring this out than the folks we told in the meeting with the Emperor.

<Denise> there's already plenty of fey who are hurtin' folks

<Zola> But we don't know prying into Jonas' life is going to help with that :/

<Zola> And what if Hugo's right? Some of the fey I read about... they're not said to be kindly.

<Denise> Some of the fey I met ain't kindly

<Denise> either he doens't know anything, in which case, whatever, he don't know nothin'

<Argent> or it can help

<Denise> yeah

<Argent> seems like its at least worth askin'

<Argent> If Tit's has some arrangement or trust with him, maybe she can help

<Argent> nobody is talking about using hot iron pokers or anything

<Argent> (yet)

<Zola> Well, I guess it couldn't hurt for us to know more about what he think's coming...

<Denise> We ain't like.... evictors or nothing :p

<Zola> But you need to promise that you'll be careful with what I tell you, is all.

  • Denise nods

<Argent> of course

<Zola> Just because you've got the right idea doesn't mean others will.

<Zola> So... what's the plan?

  • Zola asks somewhat cautiously

<Argent> did anything else come out of your big meeting? About the trees or anything else fey-wise?

<Denise> I got more on the trees bu I wanted to tell Miss Aubrienne too

<Zola> Well, mostly it was us telling them, but I guess they were going to look into something with people having dreams and visions but Aubrienne knows more about that, I guess?

<Zola> I don't really know much, I just went to a dinner party and read some books :/

<Aubrienne> Tell miss Aubrienne what about the trees?

<Zola> I did get a gorgeous dress out of it, though >_>

<Denise> it is a nice dress

  • Denise admits, still someone grudging ;)

<Denise> but so, like with the trees

<Denise> I already told Miss Zola when we were talkin' befpre

<Denise> But Channel Sylvia went to like.... talk to 'em

<Denise> An, so, right, she was an Arch Guardian when she was younger

<Denise> she said they kinda felt like that - like talkin' to the arch

<Denise> only not real friendly

<Denise> but also that, like, they were sick

<Denise> Like a big, mean, sick tree-arch

<Aubrienne> I wish I could say that was surprising.

<Zola> Well, Aubrienne did say that whatever happened at Seda Grove might have destroyed a gateway to their world...

<Argent> so they bring sick gateway trees here?

<Denise> maybe its the other way, I dunno

<Zola> Well, maybe not intentionally? Maybe when the gateway... they're these giant trees called Irminsul... when they're destroyed, something goes wrong?

<Aubrienne> Well, Princess Ilphere thinks the destruction of the tree at Seda Grove might have, ah, seeded other places.

<Aubrienne> Including some folks dreams.

<Denise> eh?

<Aubrienne> And apparently the Shade?

<Argent> people have trees growing in thier dreams?

  • Argent seems a little incredulous

<Aubrienne> At least one person that I know of, a client of Lathra's.

<Denise> how is *that* a thing?

<Aubrienne> How up are you on planar mechanics?

<Denise> uh.....

<Denise> @_@

<Aubrienne> I mean, a lot of this is somewhat new to me, and it was theoretical knowledge for me just a few weeks ago.

<Denise> looks, okay, trees in dreams, I got it

<Denise> I don't think anything else you say is gonna stick, so that's okay

<Denise> trees in dreams

<Aubrienne> Trees in dreams indeed.

<Aubrienne> But, equally importantly, those trees are gateways.

<Denise> like the one in the shade?

<Denise> are they sick too?

<Aubrienne> Well, in the dream they were feeding off people, which seems pretty sick to me.

<Denise> Like the one in the shade's got all them gross mushrooms on 'em

<Denise> eww

<Denise> yeah that ain't good

<Aubrienne> So far as we know, the ones in the Shade aren't doing that, but the mushrooms had certainly grown on their dead farmer.

<Denise> if they're liek gates, maybe its like.... whatever's on the other wise is all sick too an that's why they're all comin' here? :p

<Aubrienne> You think the fey might be fleeing something?

<Zola> Well, I think I read something that suggests some fey just follow the power of the Irminsul or the hamadryad... I forget...

<Denise> I dunno but they gotta have some reason for comin; here?

<Zola> So they might just be coming here because they're drawn here, not because of some plan?

<Argent> hamadryad? Is that what that antler guy was?

<Denise> or lik e- maybe whatever is makin' the gates sick - I guess if they ain't always like that, i dunno - mayeb that's what is comin'

<Zola> No, Aubrienne pegged that as a Cold Rider

<Aubrienne> No, a hamadryad is a tree spirit, and we think that one was attached to the Irminsul at Seda.

<Aubrienne> And she survived the destruction of her tree, and is pretty pissed at us.

<Aubrienne> Us being the empire, not us specifically.

<Aubrienne> Though someone does seem to have a grudge against the club...

<Argent> and this being the capital seems a good target.

<Denise> yeah

<Zola> Yeah, there could be that as well, a more... personal reason.

<Denise> is that why that guy got killed then?

<Denise> the officer that no one liked?

<Zola> No doubt.

<Argent> he was the officer at the burning of the seda grove

<Aubrienne> Yeah, we think they're targeting the people who were there.

<Zola> Hugo and I didn't manage to figure out if that was Eirini or not.

<Denise> if who was Eirini?

<Zola> The one who stuck a knife in his back.

<Argent> she disappeared when it happened and hasn't been seen since, so she is either the killer or involved in some way, I would suspect.

<Zola> She might be behind the death of Luc Berthillion as well... or not >_>

<Zola> Jonas blames our party hostess for that.

<Argent> live and let live...

<Zola> Someone's not sticking to their side of that bargain...

<Denise> yeah

<Argent> so we have the party fey and we have sick trees... thoughts on where to start on either?

<Zola> Well, I guess we want to make sure he doesn't have Tits enchanted or something?

<Denise> yeah

  • Aubrienne coughs

<Aubrienne> You think she's enchanted?

<Argent> its not likely, but just to be sure.

<Aubrienne> Yeah...

<Denise> just liek though

<Argent> if she's not, we thought she might be able to help speak with Jonas.

<Denise> if Jonas is involved in suff like takin' the staff or whatever

<Zola> Not exactly, but the books don't paint a nice picture of Jonas' type, and she seemed so certain she could vouch for him when she'd only just learned what he was?

<Denise> and he's got her vouchin' for him

<Denise> seems a bit fishy

<Denise> yeah

<Aubrienne> Yeah, yeah, I guess it makes sense.

<Zola> Not that the books are necessarily accurate...

<Zola> Maybe they only wrote down the things that scared them >_>

<Denise> what did you say them kind of fey were called?

<Zola> Uh...

<Zola> Best guess is something called a fossegrim.

<Aubrienne> ...Damn it.

<Denise> if he's got a river in the undercity maybe there's old Rat lore about it

  • Zola looks at Aubrienne?
  • Denise says that to herself

<Aubrienne> I just realized...Tits has been concerned about her wards.

<Aubrienne> But clearly Jonas can get through them.

<Zola> I guess, depends on how they work?

<Aubrienne> So they must be designed to let him in, somehow.

<Zola> Yeah, or maybe they just stop harmful action? Maybe her daddy's got the resources for that sort of thing?

<Aubrienne> I'm not so big on abjuration, but I'd be curious to see how their constructed.

<Aubrienne> Maybe I can get someone to come take a look at them, someone with more experience with that sort of thing.

<Zola> Anyway, the fossegrim are said to lurk in waterfalls and tempt people into them by appearing to be a pile or treasure, or playing enchanting music, and then drowning them with a kiss.

<Zola> So uh...

<Zola> You might want to be careful...

<Aubrienne> Sweetie, I'm beginning to think paranoia is the smart ticket right now.

<Denise> yeah....

<Aubrienne> So careful may be a few steps back.

<Zola> That sure is Hugo's take on things...

<Aubrienne> Then again, I'm hoping to go charging off into their world, so what do I know?

<Denise> yo are?

  • Aubrienne sighs.

<Aubrienne> It's...I was about to say "It's complicated," but it's really not.

<Aubrienne> The fey have my brother.

<Zola> D:

<Aubrienne> I'm going to get him back...somehow.

<Zola> How'd you find out about this?

<Aubrienne> The dream, with Lathra and Ilphere and the rest.

<Zola> You... shared a dream?

<Denise> if they had my brother I'd go after 'im to, no matter what

<Aubrienne> The tree there, the gateway, my brother came through it, but he said he had to go back.

<Aubrienne> Sorry, yes, sort of.

<Aubrienne> Lathra has a client who's been having nightmares.

<Denise> is this the tree in dreams guy?

<Aubrienne> They seemed related to this whole mess, so Princess Ilphere took Lathra and I along with her into Lathra's client's dream.

<Aubrienne> Yeah, the tree in dreams guy.

<Denise> ....they ai'nt feedin' off your brother, are they :o

<Aubrienne> Well, not that I saw, but I don't know what they're doing to him there.

<Denise> :|

<Argent> so you're going after him. How?

<Zola> Through the ... fragment of the Irminsul?

<Zola> seed?

<Aubrienne> That what we think, though I'm looking into some other options.

<Aubrienne> Ilphere...the Princess seemed to think it might be dangerous to follow through there, because we can't be sure what's on the other side.

<Zola> Something like Plane Shift would work if you knew the right materials, but... that'd dump you out anywhere... you'd likely arrive in the right spot if you entered through the dream again @_@

<Aubrienne> Yeah, there are some options, it's just, you know, finding someone who can and will help.

<Zola> Is the Princess going to help?

<Denise> well, if you need help with gettin' him bak, yo let me know. Rats gotta look out for each other.

<Aubrienne> I think so.

  • Aubrienne smiles at Denise.

<Denise> an I know how it is with family an all

<Aubrienne> <rat> Thanks, Denise.

<Zola> Ooh! I know that!

  • Denise nods seriously

<Aubrienne> Yeah.

<Aubrienne> On a similar note, I have a possibly weird question for you?

<Aubrienne> These attacks...are your bosses doing anything?

<Argent> I'd help too if I can

<Aubrienne> I thought maybe they might organize some watches or something.

<Denise> yeah, they're gettin' on it

<Aubrienne> Good to know.

  • Denise says, FULLY CONFIDENT

<Aubrienne> Thank you, Argent, I appreciate it.

<Aubrienne> I just...I don't want anyone else to get hurt.

<Denise> exactly

<Denise> an' there's places the guard don't go much, ya know?

<Aubrienne> I thought about coming to your aunt, Denise, as she's the toughest person I know, but, like I said...

  • Zola sighs

<Argent> going in eyes wide open Aurbrienne. No guilt on your part if someone gets hurt.

<Denise> I think she's kinda sick of them little fey fuckers messin' with her work ;p

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> like, I already been turned to ice so... bring it

<Aubrienne> Well, I'll let you know if and when things go down, then.

<Zola> I don't know how you all have such confidence @_@

<Aubrienne> And you can do the same. I'm not some battle sorcerer like some, but I think I can be of some assistance.

<Denise> okay :)

<Aubrienne> They're young and I don't have much of a choice.

  • Aubrienne winks at Zola
  • Zola smiles sadly
  • Argent chuckles

<Denise> well okay sometimes maybe I can be a little *too* confident >.>

  • Denise eyes Argent

<Denise> But I'm workin on that, an plus I do know what all I can do

<Denise> and it ain't knothin', ya know?

<Aubrienne> And, at least a little, it's a Rat thing. Or a Shambles thing. Like Denise said, some places the guard won't go.

  • Denise nods

<Aubrienne> So we take care of things ourselves.

<Denise> the Shade, too

<Aubrienne> Yeah.

<Argent> if we free your brother, it may also give us a clue on how to deal with the sick trees.

<Zola> I... I'd like to help, I just don't know what good I'd be.

<Zola> I mean, I could have helped with that fiddler, I guess?

<Zola> But I'm not a fighter, really.

<Zola> All I've got is this dinky toy.

<Aubrienne> Well, if nothing else, it seems like the fey have an appreciation for music.

  • Zola reaches into her cleavage and pulls out her little pistol to flash it around.
  • Denise grins

<Aubrienne> I'd really prefer it if all this could be settled without a fight, but I'm less and less idealistic about that being possible.

<Aubrienne> Oh, that reminds me, I need to pick up a piece.

<Aubrienne> I got Hettie and Kori to give me some pointers.

<Zola> Well, if the Princess can't fill your ranks with a better bard than I, I can't say no to something so important, right?

<Argent> at the very least, its song material.

<Zola> Honey, I'm not sure there'll be much loving to sing about...

<Aubrienne> Hey, there may be a bard with more spells or something, but I don't think there's a *better* bard than you.

<Zola> Awww, you flatterer :)

<Zola> If you need me, though..

  • Zola says, pretty sure she won't >_>

<Zola> And I could go around with you maybe, Denise? If you want?

<Zola> Unless you think I'd get in the way >_>

<Denise> for what now?

<Zola> Weren't you talking about going on patrols?

<Denise> oh yeah!

<Zola> I could probably find a better pair of shoes and tag along in case you find another fiddler >_>

<Denise> prolly any help with that'll be good.

<Denise> I think there's more of 'em for sure, from all the stories

<Aubrienne> We could cover more ground in my car, if you want some extra backup...

<Zola> Oh that sounds so much better than what I was imagining, trudging through the snow...

<Denise> well there's places you can't take cars, so, maybe some of both, I dunno

<Aubrienne> I'm wondering if it's something where we might take turns, and we could probably use Dor and Argent's place as a base.

<Aubrienne> So we could bring reinforcements if someone sees anything.

<Aubrienne> ...that rather sounds like the guard, huh?

<Zola> If we had some radios or something, we could get word to people where to go...

<Denise> mm, maybe - I'm gonna see what the bosses get set up

<Zola> That way there might be warmer feet >_>

<Denise> oh, that's a good idea!

<Zola> Maybe headquarters could be in a bar, and I could sing until you actually need me :)

<Zola> C'mon in from your rounds, boys! I'll sing you a few songs...

<Aubrienne> Well, I can't imagine there's a bar that wouldn't welcome you.

<Aubrienne> Maybe talk to your bosses, Denise? We don't need to duplicate efforts if we can just join in on things they're already doing.

<Denise> Will do :)

  • Zola is pretty sure some bars might not be fond of her beyond a cetain point >_>

<Denise> prolly if they're workin' out fo a bar, it'll be the cellar >.>

<Denise> it ai;nt really a place for singin' in

<Zola> Why the cellar?

<Denise> bt we'll see :3

<Denise> It's kinda.... our place

  • Denise is briefly surprizede Zola has to ask this, but only briefly

<Zola> Might not only be your boys who want to help out though, maybe you aren't thinking big enough :)

<Aubrienne> Yeah, they're other folks we can talk to.

<Zola> I could sing upstairs anyway, and they could come up for a drink :V

<Aubrienne> Maybe coordinate with.

<Denise> well, we'll see

<Zola> I guess I could tell you more about the others at the party, and just leave out names for now... until we need them...

<Zola> Then after that yuo've got to tell me all about the mushroom farm.

<Denise> alright

<Zola> The fellow I got my new dress from is something called a spindler, they're said to accost people and make them wear their clothing.

<Zola> Honestly, that dress is gorgeous, I can't imagine how he'd need to force anyone @_@

<Denise> ...what happens to folks when they wear the clothes?

<Zola> I guess sometimes they do things to those who see the wearer, but Jonas just looked at me funny when I asked if his dresses were dangerous.

<Denise> hmm

<Zola> There's an opera singer who's a rusalka, who I'm hoping is better than advertized.

<Denise> what do they do?

<Zola> They can use their hair like a limb or something... and apparently like to charm people and other creatures to defend them and also to treat cruelly before they tire of them and kill them >_>

<Denise> uh, real nice :|

<Zola> There was a faerie seer. They are ... wierd.

<Denise> what do they see?

<Denise> like, the ftre?

<Zola> It's like they're not tied down by time like we are, and see all possibilities at once? I guess sometimes they go crazy.

<Denise> huh

<Denise> yeah, that don't sound fun

<Zola> I sat to his right at the party, and he was quite friendly, but it was like ... everything rippled when you were close to him.

<Denise> huh

<Zola> I guess he'd be easy to find ...

<Zola> The hostess seemed like she might be something called a leanan sidhe. They're patrons of the arts, I suppose? Except they also offer you the ability to become more than you are, at the price of your vitality.

<Zola> Eirini might be that as well, or instead of? I'm not sure...

<Denise> huh

<Zola> But it seems pretty likely that Luc Berthillion was being "inspired" by a leanan sidhe and paid for his last masterpiece with his life.

<Argent> you've managed to learn quite a bit

  • Argent is impressed

<Zola> Hugo and I did a fair bit of reading after the party >_>

<Denise> they got books and stuff and they like, hired some guy to help with that?

  • Denise contributes helpfully

<Argent> did any of this reading indicate any other vulnerabilities other than cold iron that we know of?

<Zola> Yeah, Aubrienne and Lathra did. Hugo and I went to see his uncle, and when we went to find the books that might help us, he had them all.

<Zola> Uh...

<Zola> I wasn't really looking for that...

<Zola> But we took notes, so I guess it wouldn't be that hard to look over the books again.

<Argent> might be worth checkin', just saying

<Denise> which is the one who scratched up M. Hugo?

<Zola> Oh, yes... a handmaiden, they used to be associated with some of the pre-Wheel faiths in Psyra.

<Zola> They make a special kind of wine, which is why we were so ... out of it during the party and all the strangeness.

<Zola> But I guess when they drink it they eventually fly into a rage and try to kill people... men first? Though Hugo was sitting right beside her.

<Zola> They go all beastly too, when this happens.

<Denise> huh

<Zola> It seems strange that they'd drink a wine that'd make them blow their tops like that... and especially wierd that they'd bring it to a party.

<Zola> Hugo and I tried some of the wine from the night of the first attack, and it's not the same.

<Denise> well, maybe she's got different kinds, 'cause it weren't nothin' normal :p

<Zola> Yeah, it could be...

<Zola> We did wonder if maybe she was a part of all that... which is why we tried the other wine... :P

<Denise> an' maybe they like rippin' folks up >.>

  • Denise nods

<Argent> some things are just evil

<Argent> that simple

<Aubrienne> Do you really believe that?

<Zola> Well there's demons and such... their very essence is evil...

<Argent> unfortunately I do.

<Aubrienne> I'm not sure I believe either of those things, that some things are just evil with no good in them, or that is a simple matter.

<Aubrienne> But I suppose I don't have experience with such things.

<Zola> Just because there's a sliver of a chance doesn't make it a safe bet, though.

<Argent> and were not talking about people

<Aubrienne> Of course we are.

<Denise> what the fey?

<Aubrienne> Maybe not like us, but still people.

<Denise> Just 'case somethin' ain't human don't mean it ain't *people* Argent

  • Denise says pointedly

<Aubrienne> Exactly.

<Zola> I mean, most of the Shade isn't from this plane..

<Denise> But all kinds of folks can be good or bad or a little of both

<Denise> An maye things like Demons are different

<Zola> And I read elves are maybe from the same plane as all these other fey.

<Denise> an' they're really just evil

<Denise> but like, we don't now that 'bout the fey

<Denise> though, like, for sure some of 'em are right little bastards >:|

<Argent> I didn't really want to swing the conversation this way, I appologize.

<Zola> Remember, you agreed to be careful with what I told you...

  • Zola looks a little concerned.

<Aubrienne> No need to apologize, and I didn't mean to put you on the spot.

<Argent> so back on topic, we got some organizing on the patrols to happen, an expedition into the dream to save Aubrienne's brother, and some more research on the fey from the party, and check on Tit's make sure she is good and talk some more with Jonas.

<Argent> full plate it seems

<Aubrienne> You aren't kidding.

<Zola> Were you in the war, Argent?

<Argent> no... I just like to keep things organized in my head or I forget.

<Denise> he weren't old enough, but he's got a good head for plannin'... stuff >.>

<Denise> prolly how he can keep all them folks orders straight :p

<Zola> Yeah, just seems a bit wasted bussing tables.

<Denise> Lots of folks who were in the war are doin; worse :|

<Zola> I suppose there's not as much need for take-charge, after.

<Argent> speaking of tables, I need to head back and get ready for some.

<Denise> a'right

<Denise> I can tell Miz Zola 'bout the mushrooms

<Argent> ok

<Denise> Though Miss Aubrienne was there too

<Argent> ill catch up later

<Denise> later!

  • Zola gives a little wave.

<Aubrienne> Bye!

  • Argent slips out and heads to work
  • Zola looks from Aubrienne to Denise

<Zola> He was here with your friend, right?

<Aubrienne> And I'll offer what I can, but I got hit pretty bad by those screaming ones on the way in.

<Zola> So you're sure he's not one of those rainbow band assholes?

<Aubrienne> Argent?

<Zola> Yeah.

<Aubrienne> I wouldn't think so.

<Aubrienne> Denise?

  • Zola eyes Denise a bit as she waits for a response

<Denise> Yes >:|

<Denise> he ain;t

<Zola> Alright.

<Denise> I don't hang with that type

<Denise> he's just ...kinda sheltered 'bout some kinds of things

<Zola> It's just his apology seemed a bit like "Sorry for saying my mind" rather than "Sorry for putting my foot in my mouth".

<Denise> Well, he ain't like that.

<Zola> Good...

<Zola> It'd be a shame. He's pretty cute.

<Zola> And I'd hate to have to warn off that opera singer only to find out she really is eating babies or something.

<Zola> :P

<Zola> I didn't read they do that, I mean... I'm just saying.

<Zola> There was this kind of fey that would steal the skin of the dead though, that was awful gross :|

<Aubrienne> Yeah, there seem to be a lot of unpleasant types.

<Zola> There were some nice ones though...

<Zola> Hamadryads are supposed to be nice ... when they aren't angry or insane.

<Zola> If we're lucky maybe the Emperor and all can find a way to fix the seeds of the Irminsul and make it up to her.

<Aubrienne> Well, I'd be pretty upset if someone burned down my home.

<Aubrienne> And I'm not even mystically linked to it.

<Aubrienne> So, while I want to stop her, I kind of see her point.

<Zola> It's not like we knew it was there... right?

<Denise> well like though - *that's* when the rainbow guard are like

<Denise> blamin' follks who are inviolved for stuff

<Denise> so some asshole burned down their tree, - yeah that's real bad!

<Denise> but like - it aint the fault of everyone who's in the city

<Denise> an that's who's payin' for it all

<Zola> Yeah...

<Denise> anyway

<Denise> we are gonna figure some of this out

  • Denise says, re-mustering her determination
  • Zola nods

<Zola> Let me know if you need me... I'll try to chip in.

<Denise> okay

<Denise> I will :)

<Denise> I prolly oughtta go check in too though

<Aubrienne> And we should probably get backstage.

<Zola> You still owe me the full mushroom story

<Aubrienne> Jed might have gotten himself entangled in something again...;)

  • Zola peeks out

<Zola> But you're right

<Zola> Next time

Denise asks Ander about the possibility of citizens' patrols to protect helpless humans from fey

<Denise> (when should we set this? Could it be right after the big convo with Argent and Zola and Aubrienne?)

<Ander> (sure)

<Denise> (Okay then :)

  • Denise returns after her general conference :V
  • Ander is at his usual table I guess?
  • Denise returns with fresh drinks!

<Denise> hey boss

<Ander> hey Dee

  • Ander takes one of the drinks gratefully

<Denise> how was your meetin?

<Ander> ah, you know - lotta talk, not much action :)

<Denise> yeah....

<Denise> speakin' a action though

  • Ander arches his eyebrows at that

<Denise> I was wonderin' if you knew if there was any news on maybe gettin' organizes too look out for folks, with the fey around?

<Ander> Yeah - Evard's takin' that in hand, gettin' folks who're interested to join up

<Denise> oh yeah? i should go an see him, then, I guess :3

<Ander> Yeah, if you wanna volunteer, he's the man to talk to

<Denise> I do! An maybe some of the other folks I was talkin; to

<Denise> well, Argent for sure

  • Ander nods

<Ander> that's good

<Denise> Mlle Aubrienne too, that was kinda a surprise

<Ander> huh

<Ander> well, the more the better!

<Denise> But she's a Rat, after all, and she's got soem personal reasons and such

<Denise> Mlle Zola said we oughta use radios or somethin'

<Ander> she gonna buy us some radios to use? :)

<Denise> heh

<Denise> prolly not >.>

<Denise> I though maybe after the war there's be lots of that sorta thing around

<Ander> that might be, I suppose

<Denise> But I guess that don't mean we could get 'em >.>

<Ander> yeah... it's a thought, though. Maybe Evard's already got it in mind, I dunno.

<Denise> well I guess I'll find out :)

  • Ander nods

<Denise> YOu think we still gotta look out for that Aigel guy, with the arm?

  • Ander sighs a bit

<Ander> I think we oughta be careful in general. He was a good warning to step up our precautions an' all, but I ain't sure where he's at or if he's comin' back.

<Denise> right...

<Denise> YOu ain't heard more about him?

<Ander> He's layin' low, it seems like.

<Denise> yeah, or he toook off somewhere maybe

<Ander> maybe, yeah

  • Denise shrugs, then, and sips her beer

<Denise> ...

<Denise> (nope can't not!)

<Denise> >.>

  • Denise fiddles with her hair

<Denise> So, I gues that means prolly you ain't gonna be goin' out with any of the patrols or nothin'

<Ander> ah, heh. No, I'm gonna, least a few times.

<Ander> Prolly the safest place to be ;p

<Denise> oh yeah? :D

<Ander> sure

<Denise> I was thinkin', maybe, on account of you being a officer an all ;3

<Ander> Gotta pitch in an' help out, right?

<Ander> hey - you pickin' up that shit from Ralf? ;p

<Denise> what shit?

<Denise> I just meant like - even if Evard's runnin' things prolly it'd be good to have folks who've done that sorta thing before

<Ander> oh, I thought you meant I might sit it out 'cause I was an officer ;)

<Denise> no, the opposite!

<Denise> Ralf wouldn't say that 'bout you anyway :p

<Ander> ah, he might if he was jokin'

<Ander> he's allowed

  • Denise looks dubious

<Denise> Well I *suppose*...

  • Ander smiles

<Denise> Well, you gotta let me know, anyway, if you're gooin' out ^-^

<Denise> On patrol

<Ander> sure, 'course I will

<Ander> heh

  • Denise clarifies

<Denise> (for reasons)

<Denise> :D

<Denise> (I think I'm done!)

<Ander> (okay)


Denise takes Enver on a movie date

<Denise> So, what do you wanna see?

<Enver> Hmm

<Denise> Mlle Zola was tellin; me I should take you to go see 'The Nurse'

<Enver> oh yeah? what's that one about?\

  • Denise says, but sounds a bit dubious of the 'sappy romance' genre

<Denise> Some kinda love story, I guess?

<Enver> if you want

  • Enver says

<Enver> Or there's one I saw the poster for called The Beast From The Sea, that's a monster one.

<Denise> ooooh!

<Denise> that sounds more fun :D

<Enver> okay :)

<Enver> do you wanna take a cab, or you okay walkin' there? it's pretty cold.

<Denise> where's it playin'?

<Denise> (i.e. how far is it? >.>)

<Enver> The Glory, in the Pav.

<Enver> (so, not across the river, but a bit of a walk)

<Denise> well, lets start walkin', an if we see a cab we can see how we feel >.>

<Enver> all right

  • Denise will tooootally hold hands though
  • Enver can wear those nice mitts you made him :)

<Denise> I oughtta make you ones with real fingers

  • Enver smiles

<Enver> well, these ones are real nice

<Denise> yeah but I don't want you getting your fingers frostbit :p

  • Enver seems happy to hold hands, not just because it helps warm up his fingers ;)

<Denise> So I guess Evard is puttin' something together for patrollin'

<Enver> I heard somethin' about that

<Denise> yeah?

<Enver> yeah, folks were talkin' about it anyway. sounded like a lotta folks thought it was a good idea

<Denise> well, yeah! :D

<Denise> It was your idea ^-^

  • Enver smiles

<Enver> you got it goin' though

<Denise> not really

<Denise> I just mentioned it to the boss :3

<Enver> that counts :)

<Enver> I, uh... maybe we can do some patrols together, like, if you wanted

<Denise> Oh yeah :D

<Denise> I'd like that

<Enver> I kinda wanna see you punch stuff :D

<Denise> well, maybe you should come down to the gym sometime when I'm trainin' ^-^

<Enver> but, it'd be better if we don't find nothin' I guess >.>

<Denise> 'course that's got a lotta me gettin' punched too

<Enver> oh, yeah? would I be allowed?

<Denise> Yeah, you'd just have to keep out of the way some, but other folks come an' watch

<Enver> that'd be swell, then

<Denise> Mireva came once but she ain't got a taste for it

  • Enver nods

<Enver> would it be weird if I was there?

<Denise> why would it?

<Enver> like, I don't wanna distract you when you're trainin'

<Denise> oh heh

<Denise> no, prolly that's good practice too ^-^

<Denise> 'specially if we're gonna go on patrol :D

  • Enver nods

<Enver> well, okay then :)

  • Enver squeezes your hand
  • Denise squeezes back

<Denise> oh - there's a cab!

<Enver> oh, good :)

  • Enver will wave it down
  • Enver gets us headed to the theater in slightly warmer conditions

<Enver> d'you want some popcorn?

  • Denise can snuggle surreptitiously
  • Enver asks once we're there

<Denise> sure!

<Enver> okay :)

<Denise> we could share one?

  • Enver will get us one, plus a couple of sodas

<Enver> wanna sit up in the balcony?

<Denise> that was fun last time, yeah :3

<Enver> keen

  • Enver will find us some seats - it's busy, but not toooo crowded
  • Denise follows along, feeling vaguely guilty for being tall and large when we do sit
  • Enver settles in beside you, wedging the popcorn between us so that we can share

<Enver> this okay?

  • Denise nods

<Denise> yeah :)

  • Enver leans closer once the lights dim for the movie to begin
  • Enver wraps his hand around yours
  • Denise smiles but also remembers what Zola was saying about some boys :V
  • Denise laces her fingers through yours though

<Enver> (The movie is a pretty high-budget effort, with effects for ships in storms and a mysterious monster from beneath the waves terrorizing the sailors, although rather over the top at points)

<Enver> (there is also, maybe to make Zola happy, a little bit of a love story with the lady captain of the ship and a lighthouse keeper ;)

<Denise> Aww, she was great!

<Enver> yeah :)

<Denise> The end were kind of a let down though, how they just ran over it and then it was gone

<Denise> after all the rest of it

<Enver> maybe they wanna leave it so they can make a sequel

<Denise> oh yeah :D

<Denise> I'd see another one

<Enver> Revenge of the Beast From The Sea or whatever :)

<Denise> :D

<Enver> anyway I thought it was good

<Denise> yeah, me too!

  • Enver smiles

<Denise> I wonder what it'd be lile, to really have to fight somethin' like that

<Enver> somethin' that big?

<Denise> yeah... or I dunno

<Denise> maybe not size big, but like, um... threat big?

  • Enver nods

<Enver> prolly pretty scary

<Enver> but like... if you didn't fight it, it'd just get you anyway, so you gotta do it

<Denise> yeah.

<Denise> that kinda thing

  • Denise is thinking about Stuff

<Denise> i dunno

<Denise> maybe things are kinda like that now

<Enver> with all the fey stuff?

<Denise> yeah

<Enver> maybe, yeah. I hope it ain't that bad.

<Denise> I guess those trees up in the shade are like some real serious shit

<Enver> you can't really fight a tree, though.

<Denise> oh say

<Enver> hm?

<Denise> you ever heard of a kind of fey that, like were attched to rivers?

  • Enver thinks about it for a moment

<Denise> or if any of the rivers underground got fey attached to 'em?

<Enver> there's some, yeah.

<Denise> some real nasty kind?

<Enver> stuff like kelpies an' nisps an' that. I dunno if they're *attached* to rivers, but they could live in 'em.

<Denise> this kind is like.... the river ain't doin' well so he ain't doin' real well

  • Denise tries to remember what Zola called it

<Enver> kelpies are pretty nasty

<Denise> fosss.... something?

<Denise> or moss?

<Enver> oh! fossegrim?

<Denise> yeah :D

<Enver> I know there's some stuff, like... with the old rivers under the city.

<Denise> you ever heard anything 'bout one of them 'round here?

<Denise> yeah

<Enver> In the old times we left offerings an' like that sorta thing for the spirits

<Enver> there's stories 'bout how if you don't do that, then they might pull you in an' drown you

<Denise> hmm

<Denise> bt nothin' 'bout any of em bing especially nasty?

<Enver> I dunno if there's anything to it, but I know I don't like to cross them little streams without at least sayin' some right words.

<Denise> oh there's somethin' to it >.>

<Enver> well - nasty if they ain't treated right, maybe?

<Denise> at least for one of em <.<

<Denise> what kinda offerins?

<Denise> or right words?

<Enver> I dunno what the old folks used... Georn usually pours a bit of wine

<Enver> but maybe that's just 'cause he's got some booze on him usually anyway ;p

<Denise> yeah >.>

<Denise> hmm, okay then

<Enver> for the words, I just do somethin' like "I'm crossing over here, don't mean no disrespect, thanks" or whatever

<Enver> in Rat, 'course

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> well, there is one, anyway

<Denise> not underground, but the river is

<Enver> yeah?

<Denise> I dunno which one, or if there's only one, but there's at least one real one

<Enver> one real... spirit?

  • Enver tries to parse that

<Enver> fossegrim?

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> you wouldn't know it to look at 'im

<Enver> you seen him? what's he look like?

  • Enver seems intrigued

<Denise> yup

<Denise> I ain't supposed to go spreadin' around who it is though :p

<Enver> oh

<Denise> he just looks like a guy who maybe ain't real healthy

<Denise> it ain't no one you know

  • Enver nods

<Enver> d'you think he ain't healthy cause of the way the river is, all full of shit an' the like, or 'cause he ain't get those offerings anymore, or some other reason?

<Denise> hmmm

<Denise> way it was put to me was 'cause of how the river is

<Denise> liek

<Denise> I figure, if he were healthier prolly he could make sure he wqas still gettin' offerins if he wanted >.>

<Enver> I guess so, yeah

<Enver> that's pretty neat that you met him

<Denise> well, I know who he is an I seen hm

<Denise> but I ain' really *met* 'em

  • Enver nods

<Denise> not to talk to or nothin'

<Denise> an there's other fey in the city too, I guess, just livin' maybe

<Enver> d'you wanna come in an' have some tea, get warmed up maybe?

  • Enver offers hopefully

<Denise> yeah, I got some time :3

<Denise> to stay for a bit...

<Enver> okay :)

  • Enver is happy to help with warming up >.>
  • Denise as well ^-^


  • Enver had invited you in and offered tea, I believe?
  • Denise will accept your offer to come in for some tea to warm up after the trip back from the theatre
  • Enver will put the kettle on for the tea, once he's out of his coat and boots and all
  • Denise finishes stashing her suff as well and will go make herself comfortable while you do that - probably aslo in the kitchen since that's where the fire is currently

<Enver> it should warm up in here after a bit

  • Denise nods, but is glad she wore a sweater uner her coat for now

<Denise> we'll just have to sit close, is all

  • Enver is also well-layered with sweater + shirt :)
  • Enver smiles at that

<Enver> that sounds like a good idea

  • Enver comes over to sit with you while the water heats
  • Denise snuggles up close
  • Enver puts his arm around you
  • Denise puts her arm around you too, since she is generally larger

<Enver> man, the only bad thing about that movie was that it was good enough that I wanted to pay attention to it ;)

<Denise> heh

<Denise> yeah, but it was still nice to watch it together

<Enver> yeah

<Enver> I wasn't really complainin'

<Denise> I guess I don't watch so many movies that I like to not pay attention anyway >.>

<Denise> but it is nice to have time with just us

  • Enver nods

<Enver> I like gettin' to talk to you an' hang out, just us

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> I mean, talk an other stuff too...

<Enver> uh huh

<Enver> is there any other stuff you ... you wanna try?

  • Enver asks a bit shyly

<Denise> ummm...

  • Denise blushes

<Denise> maybe?

<Denise> Mireva's always tellin' me things >.>

<Enver> yeah?

<Denise> I....

<Denise> I'm afraid of gettin' to accried away, maybe

<Denise> But...

<Denise> I like you, and I like... doin' stuff, with you

<Enver> I like you too

<Denise> is there stuff you wanna try?

  • Denise kicks the ball back to your court :V

<Enver> an' I don't wanna get all carried away until... unless... you want that too.

  • Denise hesitates, but shakes her head

<Enver> but umm... we could try some more... like, touching? maybe ... under clothes if that was okay?

<Denise> ...okay....

  • Denise bites her lip nervously, but then leans in to kiss you
  • Enver kisses back
  • Enver also seems nervous/excited
  • Denise wonders under which clothes you mean @_@

<Enver> okay, uh, well, do you still want the tea? or ... maybe later?

<Denise> um...

<Denise> it miht be nice to have for after...

<Denise> but like

<Denise> maybe we can just do some more usual things, and then have a break to make it and then...try some new things?

<Enver> sure

  • Denise hopes that will help her feel more excited and less nervous, anyway

<Denise> plus like

<Denise> then it will be warmer in here >.>

  • Enver smiles

<Enver> that's true

<Enver> d'you wanna go in the sitting room?

<Denise> okay

<Enver> I can turn on the little heater in there so it'll get warmer

  • Denise nods

<Denise> sure

<Enver> (I figure he has the main stove in the kitchen, and then basically like kerosene or equivalent heaters in the other rooms that he can turn on as needed)

  • Enver will light the little heater in the room, which has the added benefit of giving a romantic glow ;)
  • Denise will follow him in and then sit on the couch and offer you her hand
  • Enver comes to sit beside you, taking your hand
  • Denise pulls you close
  • Enver 's furniture is, I assume, largely of the 'someone was throwing this out' variety, but at least the couch isn't too bad ;)

<Enver> (college student apartment ;p)

  • Enver touches your hair gently before leaning in for a kiss
  • Denise 's hair frames her face in thick loose waves, these days
  • Denise still feels all shy and nervous and excited whe we first start making out, but will loosen up as we get going
  • Enver takes things slowly at first
  • Enver runs hands over your shoulders, arms, sliding down to around your waist to hold you close
  • Denise snakes her arms up around your back, holding you against her
  • Enver 's heart is beating hard, even through several layers of clothing ;)
  • Denise 's is too, definistely thinking about later >.>
  • Denise teases the back of your neck with her fingers
  • Enver 's hair is getting a little bit long and the waves in it are more noticable than when it's really short
  • Denise plays with it a bit

<Enver> prolly need a hair cut soon

  • Enver says a bit shyly

<Denise> its fun now though

  • Enver smiles

<Enver> you like it a little bit longer?

<Denise> but I like it when its short too

<Denise> like...

<Denise> this is more fun to like... play with

<Denise> but then it is more fun to pet

  • Enver nods

<Enver> I like your hair too... it was nice when it was longer too, but this way I can run my fingers through it more

<Denise> sorta, anyway >.>

<Enver> it's pretty thick :)

<Denise> I should get you to brush it first

<Denise> :p

  • Enver smiles

<Enver> I'd do it if you like that

<Denise> oh yeah?

<Enver> sure

<Denise> I could brush yours too

<Denise> I always find it feels real nice an relaxin'

<Enver> that'd be nice ... like, takin' care of each other

  • Denise nods

<Denise> Plus like

  • Denise blushes a bit

<Denise> The you could like, lir there wth your head in my lap an' that might be nice

<Enver> oh :)

<Enver> yeah, uh, that'd be real nice

  • Denise has certainly not thought about this scenario before >.>

<Enver> I got a hairbrush, you want me to get it? or like... do you need a special one for girl hair?

<Denise> uhhh... I think its pretty much the same :p

<Denise> well some girls do more fancy things

<Denise> but I ain't one

<Enver> okay

  • Enver gives you another kiss before disentangling himself to go fetch the brush
  • Denise has seen Mireva's mind boggling array of beauty products
  • Enver pretty much runs to get it >.>
  • Enver returns and offers it to you
  • Denise smiles

<Enver> uhh so... d'you want me to lie down?

<Denise> okay

<Denise> or i guess you could sit in the floor, I dunno :3

<Enver> we could try that first?

<Denise> okay

  • Enver will sit down on the floor in front of you, then

<Denise> (facing away?)

  • Denise will position herself so he can lean back between her legs

<Enver> (yeah, facing away)

  • Enver leans back against the couch/your legs though
  • Denise will run her fingers through his hair fist then, to get a sense of it actaully needs real brushing or not

<Denise> (plus also it is fun)

  • Enver 's dark brown hair is pretty thick, wavy rather than curly - probably doesn't *really* need brushing, other than maybe from hat-hair
  • Denise will brush it out then, making sure to run the bristlesall across his scalp, and alternating brush striles wth raking her fingers through it

<Denise> Is that nice?

  • Enver sighs pleasurably, leaning his head back

<Enver> real nice, yeah

  • Denise finds it relaxing mayeb more than sexy, except that you do have youre head right therr @_@
  • Enver traces his fingers along your calf while you brush his hair
  • Denise is definitely still thinking about Hands though, especially when you start doin' that :3
  • Denise 's calves are pretty thick and solid - not very "ladylike"

<Enver> (I assume you're in pants, not a skirt?)

<Denise> (yes)

<Denise> (I don't think she actually owns any skirts, and certainly doesn't wear them)

  • Enver keeps his hands over the pants, then

<Enver> (that's what I figured)

  • Denise also combs her fingers up through your hair from the back of your neck

<Enver> mmm

  • Denise smiles down at you, though probaby you can't see
  • Enver rests his head against your knee

<Denise> mm

<Denise> oh, um - is that the kettle?

<Enver> oh.. yeah

<Enver> I'll get it

  • Enver stands, a bit awkwardly, making some slight adjustments as he goes to make the tea >.>
  • Denise blushes a bit
  • Denise bruses her own hair sort of distractedly
  • Enver takes maybe a bit longer than it should take to just make 2 cups of tea, but he brings it back to the sitting room after a few minutes

<Denise> (heh)

<Enver> here...

  • Enver passes you your cup, setting his down as he sits down beside you again

<Denise> thanks

  • Denise push the brush aside and takes the cup

<Enver> did you want me to brush your hair too? maybe, uh, while we drink our tea?

  • Denise takes a little sip, but pus it aside and makes room for him to sit with her again

<Denise> okay :3

  • Enver takes the brush, then
  • Denise will move down to the floor then, unless he stops her

<Enver> d'you want a cushion?

<Denise> oh, um, sure

  • Enver offers one from the couch
  • Denise will sit on it
  • Denise scootches up beweeen his legs @_@
  • Enver tries an experimental brush stroke
  • Enver takes a few tries to find a good amount of force to use to actually get it through your hair, but without tugging too much ;)

<Enver> is that okay?

<Denise> yeah, my head's pretty tough

<Denise> unless its real tangly you ain't gonna hurt me or nothin'

<Enver> heh

<Enver> no, it's not ... it's nice an' soft

  • Enver strokes back from your temple with his free hand
  • Denise smiles contentedly
  • Enver rests his hand there, rubbing gently behind your ear as he brushes the other side of your head

<Denise> that feels real nice

  • Denise leans into your touch a bit

<Enver> yeah?

  • Denise nods
  • Enver tries it some more, then

<Enver> it feels good to me too. maybe that's weird, 'cause I ain't the one gettin' touched, but ...

<Enver> I like makin' you feel good

<Denise> well... I like brushin your hair

<Denise> and yeah.

  • Enver takes a moment to have a sip of his tea, then goes back to rubbing your head and brushing your hair
  • Denise will sip her tea too, vaguely thinking complicated things about her relationsip with care giving and receiving
  • Denise is mostly thinking about how it feels to be touched like that though

<Enver> do you wanna ... talk more about stuff? or like... anything?

  • Enver asks uncertainly

<Denise> I'm sorry, I was just thinkin' about some stuff, I guess...

<Enver> okay

<Enver> if you don't wanna talk, that's okay too

<Denise> Like.... the difference between lookin' out for someone, an' takin' care of someone

<Enver> oh...

<Denise> does that make sense?

<Enver> yeah

<Denise> I dunno

  • Enver tries to put it into words

<Denise> Just what you said before

<Denise> 'but takin' care of each other

<Denise> it made be think of that

<Enver> like, if you're lookin' out for them, then you ain't necessarily helpin' them, or they don't know about it?

<Denise> welll... sorta

<Denise> Like

<Denise> Lookin; out for someone is like... makin' sure they can take care of themselves, right?

<Denise> that they got what they need, and you can help if that's what they need

<Enver> uh huh

<Denise> But like if you're takin' care of someone, maybe theres a lotta stuff they can't do

<Denise> or now they don't gotta do

<Denise> 'cause you're doin' it

<Denise> cause that's stuff's on you instead

<Enver> that makes sense

<Enver> but you can take care of someone just 'cause it's nice, too. 'cause it gives them a break, or a chance to relax an' feel special.

<Enver> it don't mean it's gotta be ... like, work

<Denise> I guess, so yeah.

<Enver> maybe that's more like... takin' care of each other

  • Denise nods

<Enver> 'cause you can take turns

<Enver> like this :)

  • Denise smiles

<Denise> I like this

<Enver> me too

<Denise> It just made me think like.... I got lots of folks who're lookin; out for me, an that's real nice

<Denise> But also it makes me feel like its been a long time that I had to be takin' care of myself, and other folk

<Denise> But I guess you know what that's like even more

<Enver> I guess.

  • Enver shrugs

<Denise> well, you've been more really on your own, I mean

<Enver> it's good to be able to take care of yourself... like, it's useful. but it's real nice to have someone else to share it with too.

<Enver> I was lucky.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> 'cause you found folks to take you in?

<Denise> or 'cause you had your mam afore that?

<Enver> yeah, both of that, an' just 'cause... I dunno.

<Enver> I made it okay.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> I'm glad

  • Enver nods

<Enver> me too

<Enver> I never thought I'd have all this

  • Denise sets down her mostly empty tea cup

<Enver> a place, a job, folks who care what happens to me... a girl...

  • Denise smiles
  • Enver says, bending down to kiss the top of your head
  • Denise leans back to look up at you
  • Enver gives you an awkwardly-angled kiss, then :3
  • Denise will break that off before she gives herself a crick in the neck

<Enver> heh

<Denise> Can I come back up on the couch, though? :3

<Enver> please

  • Denise will do that

<Denise> so can I ask a maybe dumb question though?

  • Enver can give you better kisses that way

<Enver> oh... sure

<Denise> Like.... why did you wanna go out with *me*?

<Enver> well... there ain't a lot of girls who'd think messin' around in the sewers is a good time.

<Enver> that was one thing

<Enver> an' then... you're so kind, an' always tryin' to do good for folks.

<Enver> plus, uh....

  • Enver blushes a bit

<Enver> I like that you're strong, an' I think you look real hot.

<Denise> 'cause I'm strong?

<Enver> well... yeah. not just cause of that.

<Enver> but ... I like that about you, for sure.

<Denise> okay.

<Denise> thanks

<Enver> I like how strong your arms are, an' your shoulders, your legs... they look like you could sweep me off my feet if you took it in your head to do that >.>

  • Denise smiles

<Denise> Oh I way could

  • Enver smiles back

<Enver> I bet

<Denise> jus' like...

  • Denise will reach over and scoop you up in her arms

<Enver> oh!

  • Enver gasps, holding on tight
  • Denise sets you down in her lap

<Enver> @_@

<Denise> is that okay?

<Enver> better'n okay

  • Enver kisses you

<Enver> amazing

  • Denise kisses back
  • Enver is breathing harder

<Denise> ...did you wanna ....try things, like we talked about?

<Enver> yeah

      • fade to black***

Zola and Noren: Is this The End?

<Noren> (what's our setting?)

  • Zola was thinking she might be inclined to bring it up while they were cuddling in bed >_>

<Noren> (okay)

<Noren> (in his bed, or yours?)

<Zola> (Her place, I think)

<Noren> ('k)

  • Noren is good at cuddling ^-^
  • Zola is cuddled up against him after some more energetic activities have been completed.
  • Zola is on one hand doing her best to try to put off any serious talk, and on the other upset with herself for leaving it so long in the first place...
  • Zola has as a result gotten a little quiet, just tracing her nails across his chest.

<Noren> sleepy?

  • Noren inquires, wondering if he's about to be trapped with an arm under you ;)

<Zola> A little...

  • Zola sighs
  • Zola bites her lip
  • Noren kisses your cheek
  • Zola smiles

<Noren> I can get going and let you get your beauty rest if you want

<Zola> No...

  • Noren says, although maybe a bit reluctantly

<Zola> I'm just... wondering... what this is...

<Zola> What we're supposed to be?

<Noren> Us?

<Noren> or is this a broader philosophical question?

<Zola> Yes... what we are now, or... what our next step is?

<Noren> well... what do you want us to be?

  • Noren takes the path of the chicken >.>
  • Zola says a little plaintively, "I don't know, that's what worries me..."
  • Noren rolls so that he can look at you better
  • Zola gives him a half-hearted smile
  • Noren smiles back

<Zola> What... what if you need something I can't give?

<Noren> well... I'm not sure what that would be. My parents do expect grandchildren at some point, but ... it's not something I feel a pressing need for myself.

  • Noren tries to see if that's what you're getting at

<Zola> It's not just children, they want you to have a nice wife along with the children, so carry on your family name.

  • Noren nods

<Zola> And I don't blame them, I guess... your House is still so small...

<Noren> they want that, yes. it doesn't mean I have to do what they want.

<Zola> No, I know...

<Noren> Sometimes I worry that maybe I'm not giving you what you want.

<Noren> I know I'm busy a lot, and I'm not the sort to go to a lot of parties...

  • Zola is a knot of emotions about that and it plays out in her face...

<Zola> I don't even know what I want right now...

<Zola> What if I'm not ...

<Zola> ... ready? To settle down... I don't know. It sounds so stupid saying it out loud.

<Noren> ... do you need ... do you need some time, some space, to figure things out?

<Zola> I don't know... I like this... us, even when you're so busy.

  • Noren nods

<Zola> I just don't know if that's enough.

<Noren> I hope it won't be like this forever. Once I'm more established at work

<Zola> Maybe it is, but what if it isn't?

  • Noren nods, looking a bit sad

<Noren> Zola... there's something I've tried to find the right way to say, and I haven't managed yet, so I should just ... say it.

<Noren> I love you. You were the first person I loved, and it's never stopped, even when we were apart.

<Zola> Oh, Noren.

  • Zola reaches up to stroke his cheek tenderly

<Zola> I love you too, I truly do. That's what makes this so wonderful...

<Zola> I just ... it seems different than before.

<Noren> I've been trying not to ... not to expect too much. if that makes sense.

  • Zola nods

<Noren> to just let this be what it is, like you said when we started again...

<Noren> you have your life, and I have mine, and I ... well, I didn't know how much you wanted, or what it would look like...

<Noren> I didn't want to scare you away.

  • Zola smiles a little.

<Zola> You've done a good job of showing me once again what a lovely gentleman you are.

<Zola> But you've heard my songs haven't you?

  • Noren nods

<Zola> I want to know what it is you want... where you see us, your dream...

<Zola> Not just because it's beautiful, but because I need to know if I can be that for you.

  • Noren thinks about that for a moment

<Noren> If it could be whatever I wanted... I'd marry you. I'd keep working, and you'd keep singing, and eventually we'd have enough to buy a nice house in the Pav and a vacation place at the coast. Maybe that's not very exciting... but I'd be happy with that.

  • Zola starts to tear up at that. "Oh, Noren... it does sound beautiful..."

<Zola> I just don't know if I can do it... I like the nightlife, and parties and...

  • Zola begins to cry in earnest

<Zola> I feel so selfish

<Noren> I know. and I don't want to ask you to give that up for me.

<Zola> But how will you be, if I'm out about, doing whatever with whoever?

<Noren> (the 'I know' was inrelation to the liking parties, not being selfish ;)

<Zola> I just... I thought maybe you might be buying into your parents' plan... and so you'd need a proper respectable wife and we could just be there for fun.

<Zola> And then it wouldn't matter...

<Noren> is that what you'd prefer?

<Zola> I don't know ;_;

  • Noren holds you close

<Noren> I mean... we could make that work. maybe it wouldn't be exactly perfect, but nothing ever is.

  • Zola presses her face into the sheet against his chest.

<Zola> I don't want you to settle, Noren.

<Noren> I'm here for you, Zola. I'm not going away again, or going to find someone I like better somewhere just because they're more convenient or more suitable.

<Zola> But ... maybe you should.

<Zola> ...

<Zola> I don't say this to hurt you but... I've been with other men since we started seeing each other again...

  • Noren nods slowly

<Zola> It was stupid of me, I should ... I should have known that you might have wanted more from the beginning, but I thought we would just see how things progressed.

<Noren> I wasn't sure... I mean, we hadn't talked about making what we have exclusive...

<Noren> and I know I can't be there for you every night, and there are plenty of men who can >.>

<Zola> I don't even know if that's it...

<Noren> do you love someone else?

  • Noren asks gently

<Zola> No, not... exactly. I just... spent so much time these past few years, talking about love & passion with Valeen...

<Zola> And thinking of myself as free to share them with anyone I want...

<Zola> I thought maybe love might strike again like lightning, like we had, and that might change things for a while...

<Zola> ... but us, now, it's not the kind of craziness I was expecting.

<Zola> We did some really stupid things... and now we're barely staying out late ...

<Noren> well... we were younger then, and ... I have more responsibilities now. I know maybe that makes me ... boring for you.

<Zola> I ... thought it was a good thing.

<Zola> I'm sorry.

<Noren> I'm sorry too.

<Zola> Maybe ... I do need some time.

<Noren> All right.

<Noren> I meant what I said, though - I'm not going anywhere.

<Zola> I've fuCked this all up good enough already, I ... need to sort out myself before I twist it up any more.

  • Zola gives him a kiss on the cheek.

<Noren> You can take the time you need

<Noren> just... let me know what you decide?

  • Zola nods, rubbing her eyes and likely smearing some makeup
  • Zola sits up in bed with a sigh
  • Noren sits up as well

<Zola> Do you want to stay here?

<Zola> Maybe ... I should sleep on the couch.

<Noren> no, it's fine... I'll go home.

  • Zola nods.
  • Zola gets up and slips a night gown on, and will see him out
  • Noren gets up and will retrieve his clothes from wherever they got thrown

<Noren> I love you. Whatever happens, that won't change.

  • Zola gives him a hug before he goes
  • Noren hugs you back
  • Zola wants to say she loves him back but doesn't know which way to say it.
  • Zola will then try to go find Bastien to bawl into

Gen undergoes interrogation

<DiablotinNarrator> So, did you want August to accompany you (at least as far as he's able?)

<Genevriel> Hmmm... I figured the only person who'd be allowed in with me would be Noren, so I assumed that Gen would just have made sure August and Lathra knew where she was going to be today.

<DiablotinNarrator> okay

<Genevriel> And of course I would have had to ask for the day off, probably.

<DiablotinNarrator> August couldn't go in with you, certainly, but he could theoretically wait for you outside or something, if you wanted

<DiablotinNarrator> okay

<Genevriel> In theory that would be nice, but Gen doesn't know how long this will take and wouldn't want to put anyone out by making them wait for hours on hard wooden benches.

<DiablotinNarrator> well, he would insist he doesn't mind, but they could also agree that they'll talk later or whatever

  • Genevriel would maybe have asked where she might find him later in the day, if she needs to talk after the interrogation? (Supposing she is let go after the interrogation, and not imprisoned to await trial, which she can't know)

<DiablotinNarrator> he'll let you know that you can come to his house if you want, and give you the address

<Genevriel> (okay, she will be happy with that.)

<DiablotinNarrator> (or maybe you already have it - anyway, he'll be home until work time, and if your hearing goes until then, that's worrying!)

<Genevriel> (indeed!)

  • Genevriel probably asked to not work the night before, either, so that she could be well-rested for today.

<Genevriel> (In theory...  :P )

<Genevriel> (In practice, she probably didn't manage to sleep much out of anxiety)

<DiablotinNarrator> (fair)

  • Noren will meet you ahead of time to make sure you're doing okay

<Noren> Do you have any questions about what's going to happen?

  • Noren also brought coffee for each of us
  • Genevriel is plainly not really doing okay, but she is trying to put on a brave face about it all.

<Genevriel> Thank you.

  • Genevriel accepts the coffee and sips it carefully.

<Genevriel> Questions, yes... what can I expect?

<Noren> The tribunal will consist of three justices - all military officers. They'll ask you questions, and you will answer them, to the extent that you can.

<Noren> They may ask about specific events you witnessed, or people you served with, orders you were given.

  • Genevriel 's experience with military interrogations to date has, of course, included torture, but she realizes that is probably not going to happen today since the inquiry has to do with said torture. Still, it is hard to shake off that niggling doubt.

<Noren> I'm there throughout, to make sure that you're being treated legally and fairly.

  • Genevriel nods.
  • Noren looks a bit tired himself, and drinks his coffee quickly

<Genevriel> If you have to intervene, what should I do?

<Noren> Just keep quiet, in that case.

<Genevriel> Are... you all right?

  • Noren smiles slightly
  • Genevriel picks up on his tiredness and starts worrying a little more.

<Noren> It was a late night last night.

<Noren> But I'm fine. Thanks for asking.

  • Genevriel nods, a little uncertain.

<Genevriel> Are you up for this today?

<Noren> Yes, definitely.

<Noren> There are several possible outcomes from the inquiry today. They could decide that based on what they've heard, there is no reason to question you further, in which case you're free to go. They could decide that there's evidence of a crime or crimes being committed, but not by you - in which case you might need to serve as a witness against someone else.

<Noren> Or they could decide that you need to stand trial for something you've done.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> . o O (I had ascertained as much for myself.)

<Noren> If that's the case, you'll be taken into custody to await trial.

  • Genevriel doesn't want to undermine Noren's confidence since her future might depend on it, so she listens like she is not an intelligent person. ;)
  • Genevriel nods.

<Noren> Whatever happens, I'll continue to represent you - unless of course you want to engage someone else.

<Genevriel> If I am taken into custody, can you please notify my aunt and uncle, and M. August Merrion and Mlle. Lathra Scales? They've all been helping me through this.

<Noren> Certainly.

  • Genevriel will provide you with names and addresses for everyone. Is he surprised to see Jerard Voclain is my uncle? ^-^
  • Noren might recognize the name, but doesn't comment on it

<Genevriel> Any last advice?

<Noren> I'm sure you'll be respectful and polite to the justices, of course. If they ask you a question that you don't know the answer to, it's better to say that up front than to try and come up with something.

  • Genevriel nods.
  • Genevriel can think of nothing more to ask about at this time.
  • Noren will head into the building with you, then

<DiablotinNarrator> The room where the hearing is being held is not a large, ornate courtroom, but a fairly simple room with chairs and tables for you and the others to sit at. The three justices are dressed in military uniforms, and there's also a court secretary present to record the proceedings.

<DiablotinNarrator> The justices are Ivern Berral, a man of about his mid fifties, Aeda Surwin, a woman in her mid-thirties, and Elange de Villemer, a younger woman, maybe only late twenties or so.

  • Berral seems to be the senior officer present, and will ask you to state your name for the record
  • Genevriel is on her best behaviour, but she looks pale and anxious as she takes a seat/stands up, whatever she is told to do.

<Genevriel> Genevriel Doucette, sir.

<Berral> Do you hereby swear to tell the truth throughout this inquiry?

<Genevriel> I do, sir.

  • Berral lets you know you can sit down, then
  • Genevriel does so.

<Berral> With which squadron did you serve during the war?

<Genevriel> The 5th Squadron, Princess Tessera’s Royal Infantry, sir.

<Berral> Also known as the Red Squadron?

<Genevriel> ... Yes, sir.

  • Berral will ask you some basic questions about your time in the army - where you were stationed, specific battles or events you were present for, that sort of thing (we don't need to go through it all :)

<Genevriel> (Sounds good, as I'd have to make a lot of that up on the spot. I did make some notes, but not of that type. ^-^)

<Berral> (yeah, I figured it would be a lot of making stuff up, so we won't worry about it too much. mostly they just seem to want to establish a sort of outline of Gen's service during the war)

  • Genevriel will explain that she enlisted at Leoniel, did her three months' basic training at Carn Eige, then went for three weeks' advanced training for scouting at Brissarthe before being sent to the front and assigned to the 5th squadron.

<Berral> Were you present at Beykal, on [date]?

<Berral> (that is the farm where Gen rescued the boy from the burning building, or at least the nearest village to it)

<Genevriel> I was in that area on that date, yes, sir.

<Berral> What orders had you been given at that time?

  • Genevriel 's knuckles are probably white as she grips her armrests... Traumatic memories. :/

<Genevriel> Our orders were to seek out Psyrene rebels and their bases, sir. If the rebel forces were small enough for us to eliminate them, we were to do so; if not, then we were to report the location back to our commanding officer.

<Berral> What did you find, during your mission?

<Genevriel> We found a group of armed Psyrenes, sir. We followed them to a farm where they secured some supplies.

<Berral> What happened then?

<Genevriel> We observed them for a while to see if the armed individuals would leave. They seemed to be friends with the farmers; the boy soldier might have been a son. The woman at the farm embraced him.

<Genevriel> They had not left by nightfall, and their numbers were small, so our squadron attacked.

  • Berral and the other justices listen intently

<Genevriel> We disabled or killed several; Vell was wounded in the exchange of fire, but not mortally. We subdued them all and... and herded them into the farmhouse, which we set on fire.

<Genevriel> I couldn't stand it anymore, so I... I broke, and ran into the building to try to save them.

  • Genevriel is becoming increasingly agitated; her eyes look haunted.

<Genevriel> The boy soldier especially, he reminded me of... of my brother.

<Berral> You disobeyed your orders and aided an enemy combattant.

<Genevriel> Yes, sir.

  • Genevriel whispers.

<Surwin> Were you able to save him?

  • Surwin interjects

<Genevriel> I don't know? I got him out, and a woman. She died. I prayed for the boy to be saved; his burns closed. I then carried him to the temple in Beykal and left him there. He was alive when I left him.

<Berral> Where did you go after that?

<Genevriel> I think I ran into the woods. Everything hurt and I could barely see. I don't really remember much, after that. I'm sorry, sir.

<Berral> Do you have anything else to add that might explain your actions?

<Genevriel> No, sir... I just couldn't... couldn't kill anyone, anymore.

  • Genevriel has tears trickling down her cheeks.

<Berral> Our records indicate you received medical treatment, and did not return to combat, is that correct?

<Genevriel> Yes, sir. Someone must have found me, and I regained consciousness under the care of our medics. I was told that I had been out for days. They would not let me return to combat because my arms wouldn't heal.

<Genevriel> And then the peace was signed and I asked to be released from military service.

<Surwin> The medical records from those who tended to you indicate that in your troubled state, you spoke of something called 'The One'. Can you explain what this means?

  • Noren looks at you, then back to the justices

<Noren> Your honours, is this relevant to the issue at hand?

<Genevriel> I-

  • Genevriel waits since Noren told her to be silent if he intervenes.

<Noren> Surely a soldier's ramblings in a state of pain and crisis are not evidence to be brought forward in court.

<Surwin> Let us say, then - does 'The One' you spoke of have any impact on your actions at Beykal?

  • Noren nods to you that you can answer that (if you're able, anyway)

<Genevriel> ...

<Genevriel> The One is what I call the divine power that healed the boy, when I begged the stars to do something. I didn't know of it before that night, nor, I think, until I woke in the medical facility. It's been with me ever since.

<Genevriel> So, to answer your question sir, I think it cannot have impacted my actions, not consciously, anyway.

<Genevriel> I still don't really understand what it is.

  • Surwin nods, seeming satisfied (?) with that response

<deVillemer> Have you or members of your squadron carried out attacks against unarmed civilians, or engaged in violence or torture beyond the scope of what was necessary?

<Genevriel> I don't believe we attacked any civilians, sir. We were always careful, I think, to ascertain that our targets either were enemy combatants or were supplying them, before we attacked.

<Genevriel> Herding them into buildings and burning them alive instead of offering them a clean death by gunshot - that was part of what I couldn't stand anymore.

<Genevriel> That wasn't necessary.

<Genevriel> As to torture, yes - I believe that - certain members of our squadron went beyond the scope of what was - necessary - to learn about enemy locations and - movements.

<deVillemer> Which certain members?

<Genevriel> ...

<Genevriel> Sergent Larache, often aided by Sergent Thovas. Although I do not believe that Thovas was ever as extreme as Larache.

  • Genevriel is openly crying now.

<Genevriel> I could speak Psyrene the best, so I was always there...

<Berral> Thank you for your testimony today, Mlle. Doucette. Please take a moment to compose yourself while we retire to determine how we will proceed from here.

  • Berral and the other two justices will withdraw, and the court reporter goes to take a break as well, leaving you with Noren
  • Noren offers you a handkerchief
  • Genevriel takes it absently, but doesn't do much with it, lost in bad memories.

<Noren> Do you want... some water or anything?

<Genevriel> They didn't ask - enough questions.

<Noren> What did you think they should have asked?

<Genevriel> The burning - that started with me.

<Genevriel> There were - these Psyrenes - we'd captured. Leading them back to camp - for questioning.

<Genevriel> They figured out - that I understood what they were saying - so they started - saying things.

<Genevriel> To rattle me, you know? Make me angry. It worked when they started - insulting my family.

<Genevriel> I snapped, and herded them into a shed, and threw one of Pol's fire grenades at it.

<Genevriel> It should have been - one time only - but some of the squad thought it was - fun. So we started doing it more often...

<Genevriel> I never said anything because I was just so glad to have fit in, just a little.

  • Noren nods

<Genevriel> But every time... more and more empty.

<Noren> Well... I can say that they've already questioned other members of your squadron. It's very possible they've already heard that story from them.

<Noren> Maybe they didn't consider it worth pursuing at this point.

<Noren> ... Is it something you want to tell them?

  • Genevriel hesitates, then nods.

<Noren> All right.

<Noren> When they come back, I'll ask that you be allowed to make a concluding statement.

  • Genevriel nods, and tries to compose herself as ordered, but it isn't easy.

<Noren> For what it's worth, I think you've done very well so far.

  • Genevriel laughs a little hysterically.

<Genevriel> It doesn't take much effort - to just tell the truth.

<Noren> As a lawyer... I can safely say that for some people, it does.

  • Noren will get you that glass of water
  • Genevriel can't do much but accept it, but her hands are shaking so much she probably sloshes more than she drinks.
  • Berral and the other justices will return after about another 15-20 minutes

<Noren> Your honours, my client has asked to make a final statement before you deliver your opinion.

  • Berral looks a little cross about this, but says "Proceed, Mlle. Doucette."
  • Genevriel will tell them about how the burning started with her. It obviously troubles her a great deal that she never said anything to put a stop to it.

<Genevriel> (But telling some authority figures seems to be somewhat cathartic for her.)

  • Berral looks to the other justices, maybe in a 'do we need to go talk about this some more?' kind of way, but they seem to reach some kind of agreement quietly and do not withdraw again.
  • Genevriel waits expectantly, although she doesn't really know what she expects. She mops her eyes with the handkerchief occasionally.

<Berral> Mlle. Doucette, it is the conclusion of this tribunal that your actions in this regard do not fall outside the scope of what may be expected during warfare. While showing greater mercy might have been to your credit, the deaths of soldiers in war is an unfortunate necessity.

<Berral> We were concerned at your apparent failure to obey orders, but your testimony today, combined with your medical records, suggests that you were undergoing a mental breakdown. A mitigating factor was that your breakdown did not further endanger your squadron, or cost any of them their lives as a result.

<Berral> The testimony of others in your squadron, and the young man whose life you saved that day, reflects your general strength of character and purpose, and does not reflect poorly on your time in service.

<Genevriel> ...

<Berral> As punishment for your actions, your military pension will be revoked. However at this point, we recommend that no charges be laid against you.

<Berral> We ask that you remain in the city, in case you need to be called to testify in further proceedings.

  • Genevriel takes a moment to digest the fact that the boy is still alive, then to wonder how she'll survive on her busboy earnings alone.

<Genevriel> Yes, sir.

<Berral> You are dismissed.

  • Genevriel looks to Noren, and will head out in a state akin to shock.
  • Noren will thank the court for their decision, and lead you out

<Noren> Are you okay?

  • Noren asks once you're both outside again

<Genevriel> I... I don't know.

<Noren> Is there anywhere I can take you? A friend's, or your aunt and uncle's?

<Genevriel> M. Merrion's.

<Noren> Of course.

  • Noren will take you there by cab

<Noren> Is there anything else I can do for you?

  • Genevriel seems stunned and has little to say during the trip. Just as she's exiting the cab, she remembers her manners.

<Genevriel> No, thank you.

<Noren> All right. Obviously if there are any further hearings that you're needed for, I'll be there.

<Genevriel> And thank you for representing me.

<Noren> You did most of the work.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> The boy... he's still alive.

<Genevriel> Do you think it would be possible, or even advisable, to meet him some time?

  • Noren nods

<Noren> I think it could be possible. Whether it's advisable... you would need to decide for yourself.

  • Genevriel nods absently.

<Genevriel> I don't think I can decide anything right now.

<Noren> I have his name in my records, if you do decide to pursue the matter.

<Genevriel> All right...

  • Genevriel nods and starts heading up the walkway to August's doorway, but pauses to turn and thank Noren again for his trouble.

<Noren> Good luck, Genevriel. Please don't hesitate to contact me again if you need help.

<Genevriel> Yes, I will...

Genevriel tries to make sense of things with August's help

  • Genevriel rings the bell for August's home, highly befuddled.
  • August is waiting for you when you arrive
  • August opens it at once
  • August ushers you in out of the cold

<August> How did it go?

  • Genevriel breaks down immediately upon seeing him, and attempts to hug him.
  • August will hug you back, of course

<Genevriel> They aren't going to execute me.

  • Genevriel sobs.

<August> good!

<August> and I take it since you're here, they didn't have you arrested either

<Genevriel> No - yes.

<Genevriel> They shouldn't have done that...

  • August brings you in to sit down

<August> Gen... they heard what you had to say, and made their decisions. You'll have to live with that.

<Genevriel> I can't - I don't know how to!

<Genevriel> And they took away my pension so I will never be able to pay you back!

<August> Don't worry about that now.

<Genevriel> But the boy's still alive.

<Genevriel> And oh, I don't know how to *be*!

<Genevriel> I should be dead, and instead all I see are all the long years of nothing opening up before me...

  • August nods

<August> You're not alone.

<August> You took tonight off from work, right?

  • Genevriel nods, angry and sad beyond words.

<August> Let me make you dinner - you must be hungry. It's been a long day.

<Genevriel> You can make me dinner, but I don't know how much I'll be able to eat.

<August> that's fine

  • August will prepare a simple meal of lamb stew and bread

<Genevriel> Aren't you happy?

  • Genevriel fires the words out as he prepares the food.

<August> I'm relieved that you aren't in jail. I'm worried for you, though.

<Genevriel> You seem happy. You can't possibly feel like I do, or... or you wouldn't look like you are so happy with living forever after whoever you lost.

<Genevriel> I'm not going to live forever, or I hope not; that's the only good thing I can think of right now.

<August> I'm able to go on because I feel that I have a purpose. It doesn't mean I don't miss people... I miss them very much.

<August> But the pain does fade with time, I suppose you could say. It never goes away, and sometimes certain things bring it back very strongly indeed.

<August> But... this is going to sound foolish, I imagine... there is still a lot to enjoy in the world.

<August> I know it's difficult for you to see that now.

<Genevriel> If you're a normal person, maybe.

<Genevriel> I'm not. I've been wrong - broken - all my life.

<August> What makes you believe that?

<Genevriel> All sorts of things.

<August> Perhaps it's the lens you're using to reflect on your past that's broken, not you.

<Genevriel> I'm using the lens everyone else sees me through. Everyone can't be wrong.

<August> Everyone?

  • Genevriel nods.

<August> I don't believe you're broken.

<August> So 'everyone' can't be right.

  • Genevriel frowns.
  • August serves you up a bowl of the stew and a couple pieces of bread and butter
  • Genevriel stares at it blankly.
  • August sits down across from you to eat

<Genevriel> I'm ugly. Too tall, too masculine to ever be desirable. Everyone's always told me that. Even Maman used to tell me that it would take a special sort of person to appreciate my qualities. But even if that special person did materialize, I can't be what he wants.

<August> How do you know what he might want?

<August> this hypothetical person

<Genevriel> What does any man want? Someone sexy, and being sexy means wanting to do the things he wants to do, to crave those things, even. I don't. That's how I'm broken.

<Genevriel> And this is making everything way too simplified. It's not the only thing that troubles me, but it feels like an important thing.

<Genevriel> My parents and my brother loved me, and they're gone.

  • Genevriel cries.

<August> It's certainly important to feel like there is someone who cares about you. But it doesn't necessarily need to be someone who desires you, if that isn't what you want.

<August> You don't need to be alone.

<Genevriel> I do want it, though - but on my terms. And my terms won't be enough.

<August> You seem very sure of that.

<August> Out of all the men in this world, you think that none of them would love you as you are?

  • Genevriel nods blindly.

<August> I think you shouldn't decide it's hopeless.

<August> Give people a chance to decide for themselves, hm?

<Genevriel> I must sound so stupid to you - so young and... and wrapped up in myself to notice the world around me.

<August> You do sound young, and very hurt and sad. That doesn't make you stupid.

<Genevriel> I just want a little hope, that's all. But I don't know where to find it, and I don't know if I'd recognize it, even if I did.

<August> You said that the boy you saved was still alive. That might be a place to start.

<August> I hope that without the tribunal hanging over your head, maybe you'll be able to take some time to recover and heal, and find those things in the world that are worthwhile to you again.

<Genevriel> Maybe... but I don't know if I did him any favours by saving him. I just made another me.

<August> You don't know.

<Genevriel> No, I don't.

<August> And even if you did - maybe at least you wouldn't feel alone, knowing he's in a similar situation.

<August> But you can't know that unless you speak to him.

<Genevriel> I'm his family's murderer. One of them, anyway. I wouldn't want to talk to me if I were him.

<Genevriel> They weren't doing anything so bad, M. Merrion...

<August> You need to let people make their own minds up. You can offer - he can refuse. But deciding that he's going to refuse before you even try is ... self-defeating.

<Genevriel> We're the bullies...

<August> Now we're getting into geopolitics. I don't have the energy for that tonight, I'm afraid.

<August> And you could probably use a rest as well. It's been a long day, and a stressful one.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I'm sorry.

<August> nothing to apologize for.

<August> try to eat a little of the stew, anyway? You're free to stay here tonight if you want, although I won't be home.

<Genevriel> I lashed out at you. That requires an apology.

<Genevriel> Thank you... Lathra might wonder where I am, though.

<August> If she's at the club, I can let her know.

<Genevriel> And on my own I will probably drink myself into oblivion.

<Genevriel> With no army pension I definitely can't do that anymore.

<August> maybe it's a good thing, then.

  • Genevriel shrugs listlessly, and sorts out with August where to spend the night/how to let Lathra know what's going on.

Denise spills all to Mireva

  • Denise will come by her best friend's place :3
  • Mireva is lounging and leafing through a fashion magazine

<Mireva> oh hey :)

<Denise> can I come in?

  • Denise sasks as she comes in

<Mireva> sure

<Mireva> not like I'm real busy :)

<Denise> well you coulda had a date or soemthing I dunno >.>

  • Mireva shakes her head

<Mireva> what's up?

<Denise> wellllllll

<Denise> so, like

<Denise> I had a date yesterday....

<Mireva> ooh?

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> we went to a movie

<Denise> that was fine an' all

  • Denise fidgets with her hair

<Denise> Prolly you'll thik I'm silly anyway :p

<Mireva> what happened? come on, spill :)

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> Well, we were foolin' around an stuff

<Denise> and we talked about it and we thought maybe we could try some more ther stuff

<Denise> nothin' even real serious, even!

  • Mireva 's eyes widen and she smiles encouragingly

<Denise> Just maybe some under the clothes sorts of things

<Mireva> mmhmm?

<Denise> but things just sorta all went a lot faster from there

<Mireva> did you do it? >:D

<Denise> no!

<Denise> but it were a close thing >.>

  • Mireva nods

<Mireva> I was gonna ask if we needed to get you a potion, but I guess prolly not... yet?

<Denise> Like, I wanted it really bad

<Denise> I thought i could hold...off

<Denise> but I don't know :|

<Denise> It just made my head full of crazy ideas

<Mireva> like what?

<Denise> Well >.>

  • Denise fidgets

<Mireva> c'mon... you can tell me :)

<Denise> Like, I just really wanted it, like... You know, it was feelin' real nice an' all to start and then just like I dunno

  • Denise shakes her head, trying to think about it with some more distance

<Denise> I mean I ain't even ever done it but it sure felt that that was....

<Denise> I ...wanted him inside me, right away

  • Denise admits, blushing
  • Mireva nods

<Mireva> that's good!

<Denise> is that how it goes, normally?

<Mireva> I mean... like, if it's going good, yeah - you should definitely want it :)

<Denise> It felt like I weren't even thinkin' straight

<Mireva> because you wanted it a lot?

  • Denise feels like she is missing something in her explanation, because Mireva doesn't seem to think this sounds terrifyingly overwhelming
  • Denise nods

<Mireva> not like... because he slipped something in your drink or whatever, right?

<Denise> No. He wouldnt' do that.

<Mireva> okay

  • Denise says firmly

<Denise> he's been real patient, and nice.

  • Denise says, blushing more
  • Mireva smiles

<Mireva> it sounds like it was good... maybe just more, or faster, than what you expected?

<Denise> it was scary, comin' on so sudden like that!

<Mireva> was there somethin' he did that... flipped on the switch, so to speak?

<Denise> I guess, maybe >.>

  • Denise squirms a bit, thinking about it
  • Mireva nudges your knee with hers

<Mireva> you ain't gotta be embarrassed! I tell you all sorts of boy stuff.

<Denise> I know :(

<Mireva> oh.

<Mireva> is that why?

<Mireva> I won't think it's silly, I promise.

<Denise> I dunno :/

<Denise> Okay I mean he was doin' a thing an' that's when it happened. But I dunno if that's why or if it's just that's what he was doin' when it hit?

  • Mireva nods but looks a bit puzzled

<Mireva> you'd been doin' things for a while at that point? an' maybe it was just all the everything catching up at once?

<Denise> mmmaybe >.>

<Denise> Like I said, things started all goin' kinda fast

  • Mireva nods

<Denise> Like first it was just like... hands under the shirt and stuff, but thaat seemed sort of not too different I guess, so then the shirts came off, and it ewas just the under stuff but that's still clothes an' we said under >.>

<Mireva> uh huh...

  • Denise sighs

<Denise> it just got real confusing real fast :/

<Mireva> :/

<Denise> he smelled so nice @_@

  • Mireva smiles at that

<Denise> maybe that were part of it

<Denise> Anyway

<Denise> Comin' on so strong like that an.... iut was hard to think about all the reasons I had for not doin' it

<Denise> 'cept I knew that I had 'em and it was somethin' important an I just couldn't hold it all in me

<Denise> So I started cryin' real hard -_-

<Mireva> oh :(

<Denise> An he wanted it real bad too

<Denise> well

<Denise> I dunno what he wanted or if he knew either

<Denise> but he wanted it real bad to an' then I started cryin

<Denise> So then we were both real confused -_-

  • Mireva puts her arm around you

<Denise> :(

  • Denise leans against her friend

<Mireva> it's okay to be confused.

<Mireva> sometimes, when you want someone real bad like that, it can feel like you're goin' crazy

<Denise> yeah

  • Denise agrees empatically

<Mireva> what did he do? when you were cryin' I mean.

  • Mireva prepares to Judge Boyfriend based on this information ;)

<Denise> He just held me an was all apologizin'...

<Denise> I think he was scared >.>

<Mireva> oh, that's okay. I mean, not okay you guys were havin' a tough time, but he acted nice about it anyway

<Denise> He told me it was okay

<Mireva> didn't get all standoffish or annoyed?

  • Denise shakes her head

<Denise> just like... worried maybe?

<Mireva> that sounds like a good guy, then

<Mireva> he wasn't just thinkin' about how now he wasn't gonna get his rocks off ;p

<Denise> He ain't like that

<Denise> Plus I thik he ain't afraid to get his own uh, rocks off, if he's gotta >.>

  • Denise says, thinking about how long he took to come back with the tea earlier >.>

<Mireva> heh

<Mireva> well most guys do that anyway ;)

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> But he tries real hard to not be pushy

  • Mireva nods

<Denise> that he's okay to wait for things, so they can be special

<Denise> For us both

<Mireva> :3

  • Denise smiles a little

<Denise> he's real sweet

<Denise> I really like him a lot

<Mireva> I'm glad for you :)

<Mireva> you deserve a sweet boy like that

<Denise> I guess...

<Denise> I asked him why he asked me out

<Mireva> what did he say?

<Denise> He said 'Cause I'm nice, plus I'm big and strong, I guess

<Denise> he likes that

<Mireva> oh yeah? ^-^

<Denise> Like I could pick him up

<Mireva> aw :)

<Denise> well I guess it ain't what everyone wants

<Denise> but I like hangin' out and talkin' wkth him, too

<Denise> oh also he said 'cause I don't think runnin around in the sewers is too gross

  • Mireva chuckles at that

<Mireva> well *that* is weird ;)

  • Denise says, more pointedly

<Mireva> maybe it's not what everyone wants - but if it's what he wants, then you two sound good for each other.

<Denise> There's all kinds of cool stuff down there!

<Mireva> uh huh

<Denise> and he knows about it too

<Denise> like there's old writin' on the wall from when people used to live there

<Denise> more like marks than writin, maybe

  • Mireva nods

<Denise> anyway

<Mireva> it sounds like he really gets your motor goin' too :)

<Denise> yeah...

<Denise> I just gotta figure out what to do about it

  • Mireva nods

<Mireva> I told you there's other stuff you can do, right?

<Denise> yeah... >.>

<Mireva> that feels almost just as good

<Mireva> or even better, sometimes

<Denise> <.<

<Denise> maybe

<Denise> but it weren't what I wanted

  • Mireva nods

<Denise> he said that too though

<Denise> I dunno

<Denise> He seemed real happy with other things >.>

<Mireva> yeah?

<Denise> Wellll

<Denise> after all that, an we talked some more an stuff

<Denise> I said I wanted to help him out >.>

<Mireva> :D

<Denise> so I did...

<Denise> plus I got to see him all naked

<Mireva> eee!

<Mireva> how was he?

<Denise> real nice to look at @_@

<Mireva> good :)

<Denise> all that walkin' an climbin' an haulin' stuff I figure >.>

<Mireva> what about... you know :)

<Denise> Well, I thought it was nice :3

  • Mireva grins

<Mireva> I bet.

<Denise> it was like..

  • Denise gives general dimensions with her hands

<Mireva> that *is* nice!

  • Denise smiles, pleased, though she was perfectly happy already

<Denise> I been thinkin' about it a lot @_@

  • Mireva nods

<Denise> its nice to think about

<Mireva> ~thiiinkin'?

<Denise> but also there's part of me that just wants really dumb things

  • Mireva tilts her head

<Mireva> like what?

<Denise> babies @_@

<Mireva> ohhh

<Denise> yeah, real stupid

<Denise> I don't want a baby!

<Denise> not now

<Denise> an I know he doesn't either!

<Denise> this is why I didn't want start doin' it - I feel like I can't trust myself to be smart about this stuff :(

<Denise> I mean

<Denise> I figured I would like *forget*

<Mireva> :/

<Denise> not that I'd be thinking about just.... not being' careful >.>

<Denise> I don't think I really would

<Mireva> but you're worried about an accident?

<Denise> I guess?

<Denise> or that maybe I am that dumb :(

<Denise> An thinkin' I'm not is just another trick >.>

<Denise> :/

<Denise> I bet you don't gotta worry 'bout that though

<Mireva> well... I had a couple scares before

<Denise> oh?

<Mireva> well, just... you get worried sometimes, even if it ain't too likely?

  • Denise nods

<Denise> :/

<Mireva> but it worked out okay

<Denise> that's good

<Mireva> the potion works even if you take it a few days after

  • Denise tries to remember if you ever told her about any of those times

<Denise> a few days?

  • Denise sounds cautiously optimistic

<Mireva> well... they say it gets less good the longer you wait. so it's best if you take it the next morning, but it still works - most of the time - even if you use it the next day, or the next... even a week later, maybe?

  • Denise looks dubious about that

<Denise> that's a real long time

<Denise> but like

<Denise> a day.... probly I wouldn't keep bein' stupid that long, right?

<Mireva> yeah

<Mireva> ... I don't think you'd be stupid, sweetie. but sometimes you don't have one right on hand, or it slips your mind for a bit.

<Denise> I gotta think about it more :|

  • Mireva nods

<Mireva> it sounds like your fella will wait for you to figure it all out

<Denise> yeah :3

<Mireva> and when you do... I bet it's gonna be amazing :3

<Denise> yeah :)

  • Mireva hugs you again
  • Denise hugs back

<Denise> thanks

<Denise> I'm glad I got you to talk to

  • Mireva smiles

<Mireva> I'm glad I got you too

<Mireva> now... tell me which of these dresses would look better on me

  • Mireva says, pointing to two pages of her magazine

<Denise> oh!

  • Denise comes and looks

<Denise> I like the blue one....

<Denise> (and so on ^_^)

<Mireva> (etc. :)