Diablotin 3 session 17

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 17 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: June 28, 2015
Diablotin date:

Prologue

<DiablotinNarrator> It is still early in the new year, and reports and rumours continue to circulate about strange encounters with fey creatures.

<DiablotinNarrator> Some people report being charmed, or lured into dangerous situations. A few bodies have been found bearing signs of attacks from small knives. And sightings of stranger creatures continue around the city, only to have them disappear by the time the guards arrive.

<Dorien> (Are they centered around the Shade or all over?)

<Genevriel> (Yeah, are the victims all S-k or a mix?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (in various spots around the city, but centering more around Rhenea, The Shade, The Shambles. The victims are not all SK, in fact many are humans.)

<DiablotinNarrator> The weather continues to be frigidly cold, colder than usual even for First-month.

Gen and Dorien ask Sylvise about Nysha

<DiablotinNarrator> Gen, your apartment's boiler has been repaired, finally, but even with the heat back on, it's not exactly warm in your place.

  • Genevriel wears lots of clothes indoors.

<DiablotinNarrator> Since you're home, you're present to receive a messenger with a summons - you are scheduled for your initial interview with the war crimes court on the 28th of First month, at 9am.

<DiablotinNarrator> (that is still a couple weeks away, however)

<Dorien> (dramatic chord)

  • Genevriel 's anxiety ramps up.
  • Genevriel thanks the messenger.

<DiablotinNarrator> In the meanwhile, you had hoped to speak with your aunt Sylvise - maybe that can take your mind off your upcoming interrogation.

  • Genevriel had thought to bring Dorien along, since he's interested in all this faerie business, too.
  • Dorien is certainly willing to go. He should visit more anyway, according to his mom.

<Genevriel> (I guess we would have pre-arranged a date and time to meet with her to make sure she is home?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (sure)

<Dorien> (Preferably when my father isn't >.> )

<DiablotinNarrator> (heh)

<DiablotinNarrator> (he can be out when you get there, but no promises he doesn't return home ;)

<Dorien> (Heh, fair enough)

  • Genevriel will bring along the letter. And I'm not sure how long it would have taken her to get copies of the photograph made? Or how expensive that would be? She'd want to give a copy back to Sylvise.

<DiablotinNarrator> well, it would be easiest with the negative, but I imagine they could copy it by taking another photo of the photo too?

<Genevriel> (Yup, that's what she had though since she doesn't have a negative.)

<DiablotinNarrator> in which case it wouldn't be any more expensive than getting one photo developed and printed

<DiablotinNarrator> and might take a day or two?

<Genevriel> (So it could easily be ready for this visit, cool.)

<DiablotinNarrator> yeah, I think that would be fine

  • Genevriel walks to Dorien's apartment to pick him up and share a cab.
  • Dorien will be waiting, dressed up nicely for the visit.

<Genevriel> Hi Dorien.

  • Genevriel smiles a little.

<Dorien> Hey Gennie. You ready?

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> Are you?

  • Dorien will shrug. "I suppose so."
  • Dorien will hail a cab

<Genevriel> Thanks again for letting me stay at your place so long.

  • Dorien smiles "Of course! Any time you need to. It's nice having someone around who can cook."
  • Genevriel is surprised because she doesn't think she's a very good cook.

<Genevriel> Umm... thanks?

<Dorien> (Well, who's willing to, at least ;) )

<Genevriel> Papa taught me a little.

  • Dorien nods.

<Dorien> So... I've been meaning to ask. How are you holding up? With... you know, everything?

<Genevriel> I'm still here, aren't I?

<Dorien> I suppose so. Do you need to talk about it at all?

<Genevriel> Dorien, if I did, I'd initiate the conversation.

<Genevriel> I know you mean well, but it gets a little tiresome, everyone always asking.

  • Genevriel smiles to take any potential sting out of her words.

<Dorien> "...sorry." Dorien says, slightly chastised, "I didn't mean anything. I just wanted you to know I'm here if you need anything."

<Genevriel> I know you are. Thank you.

<Genevriel> How about you? How are you doing?

<Genevriel> Misery seems to be good for you.

<Genevriel> Weird as that sounds aloud...

  • Genevriel looks a little amused.

<Dorien> Dorien grins slightly. "I'm doing... good. Yeah, she is. I never really expected that, but... there it is. I hope the two of us haven't been bothering you too much."

  • Dorien turns a shade redder.
  • Genevriel shrugs.

<Genevriel> Copulation is a natural expression of intimacy. Nothing to be ashamed about.

  • Dorien clears his throat and looks awkwardly out the window.

<DiablotinNarrator> (I'll assume the rest of the cab ride is politely neutral and/or silent ;)

<Dorien> (hehe)

<Genevriel> (lol)

<DiablotinNarrator> You arrive at Dorien's family home, then, and can head inside to visit with his mother.

  • Sylvise welcomes you in warmly, and has the maid bring some refreshments - tea and biscuits and little finger sandwiches

<Dorien> Hello Mother. How're you doing?

  • Dorien will hug his mom :3

<Genevriel> Good afternoon, Tante Sylvise.

  • Genevriel also greets Sylvise.

<Sylvise> oh, I'm well, thank you

  • Sylvise hugs Dorien back, and will smile at Gen rather than hugging her if she doesn't approach first
  • Genevriel actually will give her a gentle hug today.
  • Sylvise hugs back, then

<Sylvise> It's lovely to see you both. How are you doing?

<Dorien> "Good." Dorien will say genuinely, with a smile, "Very good."

  • Genevriel smirks slightly as she side-eyes Dorien.

<Sylvise> I'm glad to hear that

<Sylvise> come, have a seat :)

<Genevriel> I'm well, thank you. The boiler's fixed at my place so I'm back there.

  • Sylvise ushers you into the parlour
  • Dorien will sit down and help himself to finger sammiches.
  • Genevriel follows people in to the parlour.

<Sylvise> wonderful, that's good! it's so cold these days, you certainly couldn't live without heat in your home.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Dorien> It certainly is a cold winter...

<Genevriel> It's not always like this here, then?

<Sylvise> our fuel bills have been incredible!

<Dorien> It's always cold, but not usually like this.

<Sylvise> Trying to keep this big old place heated is quite a challenge

<Sylvise> I've even said to your father that maybe we should consider selling the home and moving to somewhere more modern, and smaller, but he won't hear of it.

  • Genevriel ponders vanity.

<Dorien> That's father, all right.

<Dorien> Good luck talking him out of anything once he's decided on it.

  • Genevriel 's own family home was significantly smaller, probably...

<Sylvise> He's doing so much better than he was, I can't be too annoyed. At least he's well enough to get cross about things again ;p

  • Dorien laughs

<Dorien> That's good to hear.

<Dorien> Is he working again?

<Sylvise> Not yet. He's eager to return, but the doctors want him to continue taking it easy for a little while yet.

<Sylvise> Maybe next month, if they think he's recovered enough.

<Dorien> I'm surprised they've managed to convince him.

<Dorien> I assume you've had a hand in that.

  • Dorien grins

<Sylvise> Well, I suggested to him that if he went back sooner, he could wind up in the same situation again, or even worse.

<Sylvise> He does listen to reason sometimes, Dodo :)

<Dorien> Mooooooom

<Dorien> -_-

  • Sylvise smiles benignly as she makes a half-hearted apology for embarrassing you ;)
  • Genevriel tries not to let the fact that she doesn't have these sorts of familial interactions anymore get her down.
  • Dorien will sigh and continue with the conversation, "Well, I'm glad he's listening to you at least. He must be going stir crazy around here, though."

<Sylvise> Well, he does get out on errands, and to visit friends, as long as he doesn't exert himself too much.

  • Dorien nods.

<Sylvise> we've been out a few times, to the theater or to a restaurant for dinner, and that's been lovely.

<Dorien> That's great :)

<Genevriel> Is there still an orchestra?

<Sylvise> Oh yes, there are several.

<Sylvise> Would you like to go sometime?

<Genevriel> Madds used to tell me about going to the orchestra. It sounded like fun.

<Genevriel> I used to listen to that sort of music on the radio sometimes, when there wasn't something else on.

<Dorien> Maybe we can all go together sometime...

<Genevriel> But to see the musicians actually playing would be something else.

<Genevriel> He said that the music sounds different, in person, too.

<Genevriel> Better. Deeper. Richer.

<Sylvise> I'd be delighted to take you some evening. Or if you'd rather we old folks didn't ... what's the term... 'cramp your style', I could get tickets for you and a couple friends.

  • Genevriel glances at her aunt.
  • Dorien will gently elbow his cousin. "Of course we'd love to go with you. It can be a family thing."

<Sylvise> well, all right :) let me know some evening when you aren't working, and I'll make arrangements.

  • Dorien suddenly remembers that means Lucette will probably go and his smile falters slightly

<Genevriel> I'd be happy to go with you... why wouldn't I be?

  • Genevriel looks puzzled...

<Sylvise> Well, I didn't know if you might have a gentleman friend you might prefer to bring.

<Genevriel> Oh. No. Nothing like that.

<Genevriel> I'm not really girlfriend material.

<Sylvise> Oh, I'm sure that's not true. Some young man would be lucky to have you.

<Genevriel> It would have to be a very peculiar brand of luck.

<Genevriel> I'm not a comfortable person to be around.

<Genevriel> Anyway... I don't want to forget. I brought something for you.

<Sylvise> oh?

  • Genevriel digs out the photograph of her family.

<Genevriel> I had copies made. They were your family, too.

  • Genevriel extends a copy to her.
  • Sylvise smiles sadly

<Sylvise> That's lovely, thank you. You didn't have to do that, but I appreciate it.

<Genevriel> You're welcome...

<Genevriel> Also - I don't know if you meant for it to be in her old journal when you gave it to me, but there was a letter.

<Sylvise> there was?

  • Genevriel nods and digs the letter out of her satchel.

<Sylvise> I didn't know it was there, but I'm sure it's fine for you to have it. She wrote so many letters over the years.

<Genevriel> She wrote about someone Andri saw in our orchards.

  • Genevriel shows you the paragraph(s) in question.

<Sylvise> oh... yes, I remember this.

<Sylvise> such an odd story

<Genevriel> In light of all the fey activity that has arisen here in Diablotin, I was curious whether you had ever looked into this Nysha as my mother requested?

<Sylvise> I did, but it was years ago. As I recall I found some things about tree spirits, and suggested that it was one of those that Andri had encountered.

<Sylvise> I could dig out my notes if you wanted to see them

  • Genevriel perks up.

<Genevriel> That would be very good, thank you.

<Sylvise> Do you want them today? I imagine they're up in the attic, but I can look for them if you want them urgently.

  • Dorien sits forward, curious as well.

<Sylvise> Do you think all these stories that are going around about fey creatures are the same sort of thing?

<Genevriel> (How much would I actually know about Fey? I have K:Nature and K:Planes)

<DiablotinNarrator> (k: nature is the relevant skill, so you could roll if you have some specific question?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (but in general, having k: nature would allow you to know some things about them)

<Genevriel> (Whether they are the "same sort of thing" - I'm assuming no - not the same species of faeries but yes, it might all be linked somehow?)

<Genevriel> (That's the only reason I'm asking her about Nysha in the first place, in case there's some weird link)

<DiablotinNarrator> (well, whatever Nysha was, she was connected to trees - and this recent stuff in the city seems to also be connected to trees growing rapidly and in strange places, like a vacant lot in the Shade)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you could roll for more insight?)

<Genevriel> I'm not convinced that the fey that have been attacking people are the "same sort of thing" but perhaps fey like her are involved somehow, since trees seem to be linked into all of this.

<Genevriel> !roll 1d20+11

  • Zola rolls for Genevriel: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 25 ].

<Genevriel> (That's my K:Nature roll for more insight)

<DiablotinNarrator> (You think that Nysha was likely something like a dryad, which are linked to specific trees - clearly the things you encountered are not dryads, but it could still be connected more broadly)

<Genevriel> (ok, thanks)

<Genevriel> Anyway, it is probably not a big emergency, but I don't know when I might see you again, so if it isn't too much trouble to dig them out now, would you be willing?

<Sylvise> Certainly, I don't mind.

<Sylvise> excuse me, then

<Sylvise> I'll try to find any other letters from your mother that mention things like that too, if you want

<Genevriel> That would be... lovely. Even if they aren't about fey. It's just nice to see her handwriting again.

  • Sylvise nods and will head off
  • Genevriel offers to help?

<Sylvise> If you like, dear - thank you :)

  • Genevriel follows Sylvise up and helps dig through boxes of papers in the attic.
  • Dorien will look at the good clothes he's wearing and follow after them with a sigh.
  • Dorien glances longingly back over his shoulder at the rest of the sammiches.

Dorien learns of some job opportunities from Jerard

<DiablotinNarrator> Dorien, as you're heading towards the stairs, your father comes in the front door

  • Dorien stops in his tracks and turns to greet him.

<Jerard> Dorien, good!

<Dorien> Father? How are you?

<Jerard> I'm fine, perfectly fine

  • Jerard gets his hat and scarf off, hanging them up

<Dorien> Good to hear

<Jerard> I was hoping to see you - I have some news about those prospects we spoke about.

  • Dorien perks up.

<Dorien> Oh?

<Jerard> I've been in contact with several associates, trying to get a feel for whether they might have a place for you.

  • Dorien nods

<Jerard> And finally I have a couple of leads.

  • Dorien smiles. That's... wonderful. Where?

<Jerard> Well, one is a position for a clerk in the Department of the Treasury.

<Dorien> A... clerk?

<Jerard> It might not be quite what you're accustomed to, but I'm sure you could pick it up quickly.

  • Dorien asks, hesitantly.

<Jerard> And there's certainly opportunity for advancement there.

<Dorien> I ummm... I see.

  • Dorien feels his stomach turn slightly.
  • Jerard senses it isn't quite what you had in mind, and continues

<Jerard> The other is an acquaintance of mine, Mme. Marita Capdeville, who owns a factory that manufactures rubber products. She seemed willing to consider you for a position in their research and development department.

  • Dorien nods.

<Dorien> Well, I'm certainly more qualified for that, I think.

<Jerard> Give it some thought, at any rate, and let me know what you decide, perhaps by the end of the month? They won't hold these openings forever, after all.

  • Dorien sounds relieved.

<Dorien> Of course.

<Dorien> I'll... I'll consider it.

<Dorien> Thank you.

  • Jerard nods

<Jerard> now, are those sandwiches in the parlour?

  • Dorien grins.

<Dorien> They certainly are. Good ones, too.

<Jerard> splendid

<Jerard> come in and have a seat with me, let me know how you've been doing

  • Jerard rescues you from hunting through the attic for dusty papers ;)

<Dorien> :)

  • Dorien will gladly join him for sandwiches and talk of technical things.

Hettie, Denise, and Argent investigate Clarence Molniere's workshop

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie, you are planning to go look into the inventor Clarence Molniere, by visiting his workshop which is apparently outside the city.

<DiablotinNarrator> And I gather you wanted to bring some backup? :)

<Hettienne> yarr, Denise & Argent I guess?

<Argent> (hehe backup)

<Denise> (:D )

<DiablotinNarrator> You can get together and take a streetcar to the end of the line, then ... walk, or try to wrangle a cab?

<Hettienne> how far will it be to walk?

<DiablotinNarrator> maybe an hour or two? the bigger issue than the distance will be that it's cold as balls.

<DiablotinNarrator> and walking through snow makes it take longer, of course

<Hettienne> ugh, I guess cab then

<Hettienne> get them to drop us off a block or so away?

<Hettienne> or not blocks I guess since it's outside the city

<Hettienne> but a short distance

<DiablotinNarrator> It's fairly out in the country, but you can get them to drop you off near-ish the lane that should lead to his workshop, and walk that shorter distance.

<Denise> shoudl we have'em come back in like.... an hour or so?

<Hettienne> Yeah.

<Hettienne> I don't wanna be stuck out here in the middle o' nowhere.

<Argent> especially in this cold

<Denise> eyah

  • Denise is definitely wearing her new gloves ^-^

<DiablotinNarrator> okay, you can arrange for that

<Denise> (then we can wlak the rest of the way :)

<DiablotinNarrator> So, you walk the shorter distance along the tree-lined lane that leads to the workshop

<DiablotinNarrator> Wading through the snow, you can see that it hasn't been disturbed by footprints or tire tracks, at least not since the last snowfall.

<Hettienne> (are there any lights on inside?)

<Argent> (which was how long ago?)

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent - about 3 days ago

<DiablotinNarrator> The workshop is a large two-storey building, probably formerly someone's country home. It doesn't have any lights on that you can see, Hettie.

<Hettienne> Looks like maybe no-one's home.

<Denise> huh

<Denise> well

<Denise> we can go look >.>

<Hettienne> That's the idea...

<Denise> well, that's all on you, less you just want me to break a window >.>

  • Hettienne will go listen at the door for signs of life within.
  • Denise hangs back and be's quiet

<DiablotinNarrator> make a Listen check

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+9

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 28 ].
  • Argent is trying to figure out a way to conceal thier tracks when they leave

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie, you can hear something inside. But it doesn't sound human. Something sort of ... clanking/whirring - maybe a machine of some sort?

<Hettienne> <w> There's machines runnin' inside, maybe... I don't hear any people.

  • Hettienne produces her set of picks.
  • Denise nods
  • Hettienne checks around for security systems.
  • Denise will move up quietly beside hettie in casxe there's anything waiting when we open the door

<DiablotinNarrator> roll for Search

<DiablotinNarrator> er, Perception

<Hettienne> (is that under preception now?)

  • Argent will guard the rear, looking for anyone approaching while Hettie works

<DiablotinNarrator> I forgot what the damn skill is called now ;)

<Hettienne> (or disable device?)

<Argent> (preception, but you get your trapfinding bonus to it as well)

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+11

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 22 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> The door is locked with what seems like a good-quality lock, but you don't detect any traps on it.

<Hettienne> (picky picky time :D)

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+13

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 25 ].

<Hettienne> (if I add TF to that as well it's 27)

<Argent> (you do)

<Hettienne> (ok 28 actually; I forgot my MW tool bonus)

<DiablotinNarrator> (heh)

<DiablotinNarrator> (did you want to try and not leave traces? if so that is not quite enough - but just to open it, it's okay)

<Hettienne> (well I did want that, so can I try again?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (sure)

<Hettienne> (can I take 20?)

<Hettienne> (cause that would be 36 :v)

<DiablotinNarrator> (well, nobody's coming along to interrupt you it seems, there's no pressing danger... as long as you are willing to sit there in the cold :)

<Hettienne> Watch my back.

<Hettienne> Gotta do this right...

  • Hettienne mutters.
  • Denise nods, but shivers

<DiablotinNarrator> After several minutes of work, you are able to open the lock without leaving any traces of your entry

<Hettienne> Awright...

  • Hettienne carefully pushes the door open, looking for any other security measures...

<DiablotinNarrator> The room you're looking into is an entry hall, with some stairs going up to the second level, and doors to your left and right (as per the map on roll20 :)

They fight some robots

<DiablotinNarrator> So, in roaming around, you can find that indeed, there doesn't seem to be anyone here.. The fireplaces are cold, as though they haven't been lit within the past day at least, maybe longer.

<Denise> (after we break 3 robots :D)

  • Hettienne relaxes a little when it becomes apparent the place is really empty (of humans), but stays alert.
  • Argent will hit himself with a cure light wounds while we search around

<DiablotinNarrator> There is an inordinate number of beds on the main floor, tucked into things that were formerly sitting rooms or breakfast nooks or whatever

<Argent> !roll 1d8+4

  • Zola rolls for Argent: [ 1d8+4 ] getting [ 5 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 9 ].

<Denise> maybe that's for people who had metla limbs put on

<Hettienne> Like a barracks...

<Denise> (metal)

<DiablotinNarrator> like at least 20 beds (I counted them last night but I forget how many there actually are on the map ;)

<Denise> yeah...

<DiablotinNarrator> On the upper level is what is clearly a workshop of some kind

<Hettienne> SO there are a lot of these assholes out there.

<DiablotinNarrator> along with a nicer bedroom

<Denise> huh

<Hettienne> Must be the doc's.

<Argent> nicer bedroom... better clues?

<Denise> an where'd they go.... an why :o

<Hettienne> (Can we tell how long since it's been occupied?)

<DiablotinNarrator> There are also signs, Hettie notices in particular, that someone else has gone through stuff in the workshop and bedroom.

<Hettienne> Someone's been here already.

  • Hettienne sniffs the air.
  • Denise also

<DiablotinNarrator> you can make scent checks

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+9

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 28 ].

<Denise> !r 1d20+7

<Denise> !roll 1d20+7

  • Zola rolls for Denise: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 24 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> You pick up some faint scents of cigarette smoke and ... maybe someone's cologne? but it's at least a couple days old.

<Denise> (nothing familiar?)

<DiablotinNarrator> You think maybe you could recognize it if you smelled it again, though.

<DiablotinNarrator> No, not that you recognize

<Hettienne> I'd bet it's the Hush...

<Denise> maybe

<Hettienne> Let's see if they left us anythin', I guess.

<Argent> how did they get by the guards?

  • Argent will check the window to see if they came in a more direct route

<Denise> maybe they're better at sneakin', or went around the other way.... or just got lucky

<Argent> or they knew where to look

<Denise> yeah

  • Denise is not very good at searching, mostly trying not to bleed on stuff too much

<DiablotinNarrator> It looks like things such as notebooks and papers have been taken.

<DiablotinNarrator> But there are a few scraps that either didn't get found or were dropped on the way

<Hettienne> Or maybe he came back and cleaned out all his notes.

<Denise> maybe it was the scientist guy comin' back for his own stuff?

  • Hettienne will gather what she can.

<Denise> yeah...

<DiablotinNarrator> You can gather up what scraps there are of notes/papers

<DiablotinNarrator> In the bedroom it looks like clothing has been cleared out as well, for the most part - again, there are some things left, but a lot of it seems to be gone, which might support the idea that it was Molniere clearing out the place before taking off or something like that

<Hettienne> Ugh. What a waste o' time -_-

<Denise> I dunno

<Denise> Kinda worryin'

<Hettienne> Why?

<Hettienne> Why d'you think he cleared out?

<Denise> I dunno

<Denise> but like

<Denise> Maybe it had to do with why someone killed Vairon?

  • Argent will step out of the room while the girls chat and cast Detect Magic and start performing a sweep, just in case.
  • Hettienne rubs her temple, scowling in frustration.

<Denise> if they were makin' all these soldiers with special powers an all

<Denise> an' now they're gone off somewhere....

<Hettienne> He weren't army hisself though.

<Denise> well, were all these folks army?

<Hettienne> Yeah.

<Hettienne> Folk who got maimed in the wars.

<Denise> I guess we don't know so much about Vairon...

<Hettienne> Serge Yves didn't seem to know any reason why he'd've got got.

<Denise> well

<DiablotinNarrator> Argent, you can pick up a few traces of magic - in the lab, there are a few items that radiate

<Denise> maybe what we oughtta do is fins someone else who knew 'im?

<Denise> if he had family, maybe?

<Argent> (anything strong enough to be worth taking?)

<Argent> (or more specific what the items are?)

<Hettienne> I guess... I ain't got no clue who that'd be though.

<Denise> well, too bad he weren't a rat >.>

<Hettienne> :/

<DiablotinNarrator> Some are more like large pieces of equipment, so not especially portable, but there are a couple smaller items - I'll email later with details, because I'm too stupified to figure out reasonable treasure right now ;)

<Denise> We ain't heard or seen no more of Aigel though

<Argent> (its ok)

<Hettienne> He's gone to ground I 'magine.

<Denise> I guess

<Denise> or cleared out with this lot

<Denise> so... I guess we grab what we got an go catch our cab?

  • Hettienne nods, still scowling.

<DiablotinNarrator> Oh yeah - the sword the large robot was using is a MW sword, so that may also be worth taking

<Hettienne> I guess.

<Denise> (saleable if nothing else)

<Argent> Lets get what we can and get out of here.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> Thanks for comin an' helpin' out

  • Argent nods
  • Argent will go over and check Denise's wounds

<Argent> hold still...

  • Argent will mutter a prayer and cast cure light wounds on her

<Argent> !roll 1d8+4

  • Zola rolls for Argent: [ 1d8+4 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 12 ].

<Argent> That should help... and we still need to have a talk.

<Denise> ...yeah we do

<Hettienne> We do?

  • Denise is still down, but looks a lot better
  • Argent still has bruises, but nearly as bad as he was

<Denise> well, me an Argent do, I think

<Denise> maybe later, over a beer

<Argent> ... and we do have a way of maybe tracking this guy down... if its that important.

<Denise> oh yeah?

<Argent> the favour

<Denise> ooooooo, yeaaaaaaaaaaah...

<Denise> we'd have to pay off Collette an Francois somehow, but maybe we could

  • Denise eyes that sword

<Denise> but let's think about that

<Argent> ok

  • Denise eyes Hettie

<Denise> 'Cause I dunno if maybe we go other ways, too

<Hettienne> I get the feelin' you're not tellin' me somethin'.

<Denise> well

<Denise> I'm thinkin' about your lady friend now :p

<Denise> but we got a favour from Alea Pervenche, too

<Denise> from selllin' her back that knife

  • Denise assumes we can have this comverstaion while walking back towards where the cab is supposed to be

<Hettienne> (do I know who that is)

<DiablotinNarrator> (she's from a prominent Rat noble family, so I assume Hettie would recognize the last name at least)

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+10

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 19 ].

<Denise> (I thiiiink I told you? no reasn I woudlnt' have, really)

<Hettienne> (ok then)

<Hettienne> Right...

Aubrienne and Lathra travel into Raimond's dreams with Ilphere, Cordovera, and Ruchard Kizer

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra and Aubrienne, you receive word that Princess Ilphere wishes to visit with Raimond Neherin, and would appreciate your company as you have been tending to him so far.

  • Lathra will rsvp

<Lathra> (I assume I was able to clear that with Raimond, and that she's not gone behind my back to figure out who my patients were?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yeah, I assumed there was some back and forth)

<Lathra> (Cool :))

  • Aubrienne is happy (and nervous) to accompany her.
  • Ilphere has also brought two other people with her, a woman and a man, both a year or two on either side of 30 who resemble her to varying degrees

<Ilphere> Thank you so much for coming...!

<Lathra> Oh! You're welcome, of course!

<Aubrienne> We're certainly happy to help. :)

<Ilphere> My daughter Princess Cordovera and my son Prince Ruchard are both practitioners of oneiromancy, so I felt it would be fitting to bring them along to help...

<Ilphere> Although I'm afraid it may become a bit crowded in M. Neherin's room...!

  • Lathra isn't really versed in courtley manners, but tries a curtsey.

<Aubrienne> Oh! Pleased to make your acquaintance.

<Cordovera> You can call me Vera :)

  • Ruchard bows politely in return

<Ruchard> Lovely to meet you.

<Lathra> And to meet you both, too.

<Ruchard> My mother had ulterior motives for bringing me, too.

  • Aubrienne does likewise.

<Aubrienne> Aubrienne. :)

<Aubrienne> I can wait outside, Lathra, if you're concerned about crowding Raimond.

<Aubrienne> I certainly wouldn't want to make him uncomfortable.

<Aubrienne> He's suffered enough, poor dear.

<Lathra> Maybe that's for the best, but let's see how it goes, shall we?

<Aubrienne> Oh? Do tell. ;)

<Ruchard> Well... I also served in the war, and I've been experiencing strange dreams since my return.

<Aubrienne> Oh, my goodness.

<Ruchard> Mother believes there could be a connection.

<Lathra> There seem to be a few going around

  • Ruchard nods

<Ruchard> She wanted me to observe Raimond's dreams in the event that I can pick up on some similarities or common threads with my own.

<Aubrienne> (Given his status, would we know whether he was at Seda Grove or not? I'm happy to ask, but I wanted to check if that would be a dumb question.)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you don't know, so it would be fine to ask :)

<Aubrienne> How fascinating.

<Aubrienne> Ahem, and, hopeful, amelliorative.

<Aubrienne> (Hopefully, rather)

<Aubrienne> Were you by chance stationed at Seda Grove?

<Aubrienne> It seems to be a connection point for some of these phenomena.

<Ruchard> I wasn't - of course I heard about what went on there, but I didn't serve there myself.

<Aubrienne> Hmm. Interesting.

<Aubrienne> Well, Lathra has been quite helpful for Raimond, so I hope she can be of assistance.

  • Ruchard smiles

<Ruchard> I hope so.

<Aubrienne> I'm rather more of an observer here, myself.

<Ilphere> Well, shall we...?

<Lathra> Let's!

  • Ilphere rubs her hands together, looking altogether excited
  • Dasra will show you up to her husband's room, then
  • Aubrienne will be sure to say hello to Dasra and try to comfort/distract her with some small talk once folks get settled in.
  • Raimond is lying quietly in bed, not asleep though

<Lathra> Hello Raimond dear!

<Raimond> Hello

<Raimond> thank you all for coming...

  • Raimond says, peering weakly at the crowd gathered in his room

<Lathra> Well, thank YOU for accomodating us! I'm afraid I've been leaning rather heavily on you...

<Raimond> it's all right - if there's any chance it might help, it's worth it

<Lathra> Well I hope so, dear.

<Ilphere> we'll certainly to our best...!

<Aubrienne> You've been very gracious.

<Lathra> This is Princess Ilphere, and her daughter Princess Vera and son Prince Ruchard

  • Raimond nods politely

<Raimond> Forgive my not getting up to greet you, but thank you for coming

<Ilphere> Oh, not at all, we're delighted to be here...!

<Ilphere> This is the most fascinating puzzle I've had to examine in quite some time...!

<Ilphere> I hope you don't object to us taking a little stroll inside your dreams...?

<Raimond> No, that's all right. Although I can't promise it'll be a pleasant spot.

<Lathra> You will be careful, I hope? The stress of these dreams has taken an awful toll on dear Raimond, we must take care not to exacerbate them.

<Ilphere> Well, often those are the most interesting...! But I hope that we'll be able to improve them, rather than making things worse...

<Cordovera> You could join us, if you want to be sure :)

  • Cordovera offers

<Ilphere> oh, yes, that would be splendid...!

  • Aubrienne looks up.

<Aubrienne> You can take people with you?

  • Lathra looks to see how Raimond reacts to both the idea of the dream being different and to her accompanying the Oneiromancers

<Ilphere> Having someone who knows the patient better can always be a benefit...

<Ilphere> I could take up to eight, if we had that many - four would be no trouble at all...!

  • Raimond seems all right, or at least not freaked out by this idea

<Lathra> Well, for me it's up to you, dear. Would a familiar face be a comfort to you?

<Raimond> If Princess Ilphere thinks it might help to have people who know me there, then it's fine with me.

  • Lathra nods to Ilphere.
  • Ilphere claps her hands delightedly

<Aubrienne> I'd like to join you, if it's not too much trouble. It does sound fascinating.

<Cordovera> Of course, it's no trouble at all.

<Ilphere> Well, all we need to do is wait for M. Neherin to fall asleep and begin dreaming, and then we can just pop over for a little look around...!

<Cordovera> Maybe if we gave him a little space, Mother, he might fall asleep more easily.

  • Cordovera suggests gently

<Ilphere> Oh, I suppose that's true...!

<Lathra> Yes, that seems like an excellent idea.

<Cordovera> Excuse us, M. Neherin. We'll see you again soon.

<DiablotinNarrator> You can all retreat to a sitting room where Dasra can have a maid bring tea and pastries, to which Ilphere will certainly help herself.

  • Aubrienne gives Raimond an encouraging smile.

<DiablotinNarrator> Occasionally Dasra will check in on Raimond to see if he's fallen asleep yet, and after about 20 minutes, she will beckon for you to return to his bedchamber, where he's dozed off.

<Ilphere> <w> If you would all join hands, we can be on our way in just a moment...!

  • Ilphere whispers excitedly
  • Lathra will try not to interfere with any preparations, but will watch out for her patient.
  • Aubrienne joins hands and waits, paying close attention to Ilphere.
  • Ilphere will join hands with whoever is nearest to her, and place her other hand gently on Raimond's chest as she casts the spell

<DiablotinNarrator> You find yourselves at once in a darkened forest, thick with looming, twisted trees

<Ilphere> ooh!

<Cordovera> Mother... try to remember we're here to help, not sightsee :)

<Ilphere> observation is crucial to reaching accurate solutions, dear...

<Aubrienne> Well, ah, this seems consistent with what we've heard about.

  • Ilphere reaches out to touch one of the tree trunks, but draws her hand back sharply
  • Ilphere 's fingers look to be stained with a dark substance

<Lathra> Oh my!

  • Ilphere hesitantly tastes the substance

<Ilphere> Some sort of poison, I think...

<Ilphere> A poisoned forest...

<Ruchard> Maybe you shouldn't lick it, then.

  • Ruchard says dryly

<Ilphere> Oh yes, I should say - things here certainly could hurt you... I forget if I explained all that or not...

  • Ilphere says to Aubrienne and Lathra

<Ilphere> But if we run into any serious trouble, join hands and I'll whisk us away at once.

<Lathra> I don't believe you did, but I was rather erring on that side.

<Ilphere> Let's have a little peek around, then - and yes, Ruchard, I won't lick anything else ;p

<Aubrienne> I tend to assume it's possible to be hurt unless specifically proven otherwise.

<Raimond> I don't want to have to be the one to explain to father that a dream poisoned you.

  • Ilphere giggles at that

<Lathra> Well *I'm* certainly not going to do it!

<Ilphere> Dreams have done stranger things than that to me...!

  • Ilphere then sets off through the woods, picking her way carefully through thorns and underbrush
  • Ilphere will explain some general things about dreams as she goes

<Aubrienne> (Does there seem to be a path at all? How thick are the trees?)

  • Aubrienne follows along, walking carefully

<Ilphere> An individual's dreams are like little temporary demi-planes.

<Ilphere> (there's not a path as such, but there's areas where the trees are a bit less crowded, so you can walk that way)

<Aubrienne> (I'm happy to let Ilphere lead the way :))

<Aubrienne> Interesting. I've read some sorcerers have created their own demi-planes. Is that, then, something of a development of this natural ability?

<Ilphere> Yes...!

<Ilphere> Most people don't have the power to sustain them, so they dissappear on waking...

<Lathra> (does it feel foggy, or light on details, like a dream?)

<Ilphere> (It seems quite detailed, Lathra, but you think further away from your immediate area, it gets kind of foggy - like the most detailed area travels with you, and the rest is only detailed if you focus on it)

<Aubrienne> (She doesn't get to show it too often, but Aubrienne is a *NERD*)

<Aubrienne> Fascinating.

<Aubrienne> :)

<Ilphere> They come from the Eye of Dreams, which is a permanent ... nexus, I suppose, where these little dream-planes bubble out from

<Ilphere> When people use the spell to travel through dreams - you know, not like this, but actually travelling a distance in the real world - then that's where they're journeying

<Aubrienne> On a related note, the degree of, ah, clarity to this construct seems to be related to our proximity. Is that Raimond filling in details of this plane, or are we imposing on it somehow?

<Aubrienne> Interesting.

<Cordovera> Well, dreams are complicated things - the details tend to fill in based on the dreamer's attention to them

<Cordovera> so if there's something that is particularly important or significant to M. Neherin, we can expect that to have a higher level of detail

<Aubrienne> Apparently I should have been giving more thought to my dreams. :)

<Aubrienne> So is Raimond's attention on us?

<Aubrienne> Ah. Well, that should help our search here.

<DiablotinNarrator> As you proceed through the woods, the trees take on stranger and more distorted forms - looking at them, they almost look like they have faces, or arms, humanoid features encased in bark.

  • Lathra walks a little closer to Ilphere

<DiablotinNarrator> you hear screaming coming from somewhere up ahead - several voices

<Aubrienne> I'm hoping these are symbolic...

<Lathra> <w> will I be able to cast spells here? *Should* I cast spells here?

<Ilphere> You should be able to cast spells... but sometimes the effects may not be quite as expected.

<Cordovera> should we see what that screaming is?

<Lathra> I suppose we should

<Ilphere> Probably something *fascinating*...!

<Aubrienne> But we won't hurt Raimond if we cast something, will we?

<Ilphere> Oh no, no... he'll be fine...

<Ilphere> If he wakes up, we might be catapulted into the Eye of Dreams, though...!

<Lathra> ... Ilphere dear, is that as inconvenient as it sounds...?

  • Aubrienne gives Ilphere a somewhat dubious look and heads towards the screaming

<Ilphere> Well, we'd probably all manage to stick together, and then I would bring us back to our plane at once, of course...!

  • Aubrienne halts

<Aubrienne> 'Probably' all manage to stick together?

<Ruchard> It'll be all right.

  • Ruchard assures you.

<Ruchard> If you stay close to one of us, any of us could extract us if necessary.

  • Aubrienne will grab the hand of whichever of the younger two are nearer and resume heading towards the screams

<Aubrienne> Sounds like a plan.

<DiablotinNarrator> It seems like the forest opens somewhat, guiding you in the direction of the screaming

<DiablotinNarrator> As you enter into a clearing, you can see where the sound is coming from

<DiablotinNarrator> There is a massive tree at the center of this clearing, with what looks like a huge split in its trunk. It is dying, you think - it is blackened and has lost most of its leaves. Hanging from its branches are figures bound with vines, struggling to free themselves.

  • Aubrienne will let go and rush forward.

<Aubrienne> Are these...these are just part of the dream, right?

  • Lathra follows her

<Cordovera> Yes, they're part of the dream... but if we can help them, maybe M. Neherin will rest more easily.

<Ruchard> here, I can boost someone up to try and cut them down

<Aubrienne> Well, ah, can we try to free them?

  • Aubrienne looks at the tree

<Aubrienne> Preferably while doing as little damage as possible, I should think.

  • Ruchard looks around to see if there are any volunteers

<Lathra> I'll go up, thank you

  • Ruchard offers you a lift, then
  • Ilphere will just levitate herself up to work on freeing the higher ones

<Aubrienne> Oh, I thought we'd just try to cut them down.

<Aubrienne> I just worry about them falling.

<Aubrienne> Be careful...or, ah, as careful as you can.

<Aubrienne> (How high are they hanging?)

  • Lathra tries to loosen the vines gently, so that the people don't fall without support.

<DiablotinNarrator> (some are higher, some lower... the highest ones could certainly fall quite a distance, if they were dropped)

  • Ilphere seems to have some greater control over the effects of the dream, however - once she manages to untangle someone, they float gently down to the ground rather than plummeting.

<DiablotinNarrator> As you free the figures, you can see that they look thin and wasted away, as though the tree was sucking at their very life force.

<Aubrienne> (If there are some low enough to brace from the bottom, Aubrienne will ask Vera to stabilize them while she sets about severing their connections with either cards or cantrips)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, you can try that :)

<DiablotinNarrator> The figures wear uniforms of the Imperial army, although you don't recognize any specific individuals

<Aubrienne> (Are they all unconscious?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (they're awake but don't seem to be aware of you - just open-mouthed and dazed)

<DiablotinNarrator> But they do stop screaming once they're freed

  • Aubrienne will try to make them as comfortable as possible when they come down, then go back to trying to free more.

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, as you move to help another soldier, you see a figure standing in the split of the tree - your brother Jean-Faust.

<Lathra> (Do they look sick? Or more traumatized/malnourished/drained?)

<Jean-Faust> Aubrienne?

<DiablotinNarrator> (they look drained and wasted, as if they haven't eaten or drunk for a long while, but you don't think they have an actual illness. there are wounds from the vines' suckers on their skin, but not severe ones)

<Aubrienne> Jean-Faust?

  • Aubrienne will rush over to him.
  • Jean-Faust holds a warning hand up before you can reach him

<Jean-Faust> What are you doing here?

<Jean-Faust> Is this another trick?

<Aubrienne> (Is he stuck in the tree?)

<Aubrienne> I'm...I'm trying to help a friend.

<Aubrienne> What are you doing here?

  • Jean-Faust doesn't seem to be stuck, but is standing in the cleft of the tree
  • Lathra casts create water into any available divet and will try to distribute it in sips

<Jean-Faust> I heard your voice... I followed it through the door.

<Aubrienne> My voice?

  • Jean-Faust nods

<Jean-Faust> I have to go back... but you could come with me. It's lovely there.

<Aubrienne> Through what door? Back...back in the grove?

  • Cordovera tentatively approaches you

<Cordovera> <w> is this someone you know?

<Aubrienne> Where, Jean-Faust?

<Aubrienne> Where have you been?

<Jean-Faust> I... I don't know the name of the place.

<Jean-Faust> I've been staying with friends.

<Aubrienne> This...this is my brother.

<Aubrienne> If you came here, can you come back?

<Jean-Faust> I don't know.

<Jean-Faust> Maybe.. if I could find my way again.

<Jean-Faust> I need to go, they'll be wondering where I am...

<Jean-Faust> I'll see you again?

  • Aubrienne reaches towards him.

<Aubrienne> You could come with me, Jean.

<Aubrienne> (I'm trying to come up with a diminutive or a childhood nickname and I got nothing)

<Aubrienne> Don't go!

<Aubrienne> We thought you were gone.

<Aubrienne> Don't leave us again, please.

<Jean-Faust> I... I miss you too.

<Jean-Faust> But I can't stay here, it isn't safe.

  • Jean-Faust steps back into the tree and is gone.

<Aubrienne> Jean-Faust!

  • Aubrienne rushes to the tree.
  • Cordovera hurries over to it with you

<Cordovera> Careful...

<Lathra> <to Ilphere> Can we follow him?

<Cordovera> This isn't just a tree.

<Lathra> It's a door, isn't it?

<Cordovera> Yes.

<Aubrienne> (I assume there's nothing there but the split trunk?)

<Cordovera> It's a portal, or an Arch. This isn't an ordinary ephemeral dream, if it's connected like this to another plane.

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, when you look into the gap, it looks very dark, and very large.

<Aubrienne> So what's on the other side? Can we see?

<Aubrienne> It's an Arch?

<Aubrienne> Raimond said the tree at Seda Grove felt like the Arch...

<DiablotinNarrator> You can't see the inside of the tree, as you would if it was an ordinary tree - it's like there's more room in there than there should be

<Aubrienne> If it's a door, there's a way through, right?

  • Aubrienne looks at Vera pleadingly.

<Cordovera> Yes, but we're not prepared for that - we don't know where it would lead.

<Lathra> But you could pull us out when we get there?

<Cordovera> Maybe - if it doesn't result in all of us bursting into flames, or going mad, or falling forever into the Void!

  • Ilphere comes over to examine it

<Ilphere> Very interesting...!

<Cordovera> Mother. No.

<Ilphere> Oh, well, no.. not this time, I suppose.

  • Ilphere says a bit reluctantly

<Ilphere> Perhaps I could just cast a few spells and try and learn more about it...

  • Lathra joins the others when the water has been distributed

<Aubrienne> Why not?

<Aubrienne> Is there not a way to see what's through there without going ourselves?

<Aubrienne> We could scout it somehow, maybe?

<Ilphere> Yes, yes, I'm giving it a try...!

  • Ilphere 's bird familiar (or is it? it seems to have tentacles instead of normal bird feet...) appears out of nowhere and she sends it through the gap in the tree, then casts a spell or two

<Ilphere> So unusual...!

<Ilphere> This portal is a link to the First World. I'd wager this link is the source of M. Neherin's troubled sleep.

<Ilphere> With goodness knows what passing back and forth in his head...!

<DiablotinNarrator> The tree begins to shudder and open wider, like some awful creature giving birth

<Cordovera> I think we ought to be going.

<Cordovera> Another time we'll come back, come on Mother!

<Lathra> But... will this remain in his dreams?

<Aubrienne> Is there some way of severing his connection?

<Lathra> What's it doing, shouldn't we try to stop it?

  • Ilphere beckons for you all to join hands
  • Aubrienne shuffles back, frightened, drawing and imbuing one of her cards.

<DiablotinNarrator> Smoke starts pouring out of the tree, as though it's burning from the inside out

<Ilphere> That wasn't my fault...!

<Aubrienne> Certainly there's something we can do for Raimond...

  • Aubrienne tucks the card back into her sleeve.

<Cordovera> Yes, but we can talk about our options when we're out of here.

<Aubrienne> But what if we've caused damage right now?

<Aubrienne> We can't leave this thing in his dreams, can we?

<Cordovera> We can't get rid of it either - at least, not without a lot of planning...

<Ilphere> Severing a bond of this sort is ... well...! quite a challenge, to say the least...!

<Ilphere> But it explains so much...!

<Lathra> Ok then, let's go, and we'll make a plan.

  • Aubrienne will tentatively join hands with the people near her.
  • Ilphere casts her spell once you have all linked hands

<DiablotinNarrator> You all reappear in Raimond's bedroom, where he is stirring slightly in his sleep. Maybe it's your imagination, but you can still smell a hint of smoke.

<Aubrienne> Is he okay?

  • Aubrienne will look to Lathra
  • Lathra checks on his condition
  • Raimond wakes up with a start

<Raimond> ahh... are you all right?

<Lathra> We're fine... are you alright?

<Aubrienne> Us? Are you alright?

<Raimond> I feel ... relieved, a bit.

<Lathra> Well, now I do, too.

  • Aubrienne gives a relieved half-smile.

<Cordovera> I hope at least freeing those people helped a little. But the larger problem remains.

<Aubrienne> Well, I suppose we should let you sleep, eh?

<Ilphere> Yes, we need to ... get to the ROOT of it...!

  • Lathra stifles a laugh
  • Aubrienne lets out a short bark of laughter before giving Ilphere a smirk.

<Ruchard> We'll leave you to rest, then - undisturbed by us poking around in your mind.

  • Ilphere will retreat with the others, leaving him to rest

<Ilphere> I only hope we're not... barking up the wrong tree...!

  • Ruchard and Vera just roll their eyes

<Aubrienne> It's a shame we had to leaf so soon.

  • Lathra will ask Dasra for a jug of water to "enhance" and share out as we make our plans.

<Ilphere> Yes, indeed!

<Lathra> Wooden't it have been something to see what was on the other side, though?

  • Cordovera stifles a laugh at that.

<DiablotinNarrator> You can retreat back to the sitting room to discuss your findings, then

<Ilphere> Well, that was certainly informative...!

  • Aubrienne is obviously shaken up.

<Aubrienne> Yes, I suppose it was.

<Cordovera> Are you all right?

  • Cordovera asks Aubrienne gently

<Aubrienne> I'll be all right, thank you.

<Aubrienne> It was just...unexpected.

<Lathra> (As previously mentioned, Lathra requests a pitcher of water from Dasra and casts Enhance Water. transforming it into medium-quality gin)

<Aubrienne> What do we do now?

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)

<Aubrienne> It can't be good for Raimond to have that thing in his dreams, and I can't help but think it might give the fey some kind of foothold here.

<Ilphere> That tree - well, it isn't a *real* tree in a physical sense, but it represents a link to the First World.

<Ilphere> And no, I certainly don't imagine it's healthy for him...!

<Aubrienne> Do you have any thoughts as to how it got there?

<Ilphere> If this incident at Seda Grove destroyed an Irminsul, then perhaps it's as though... splinters of it took root in the minds of those who were nearby...!

<Ilphere> Which would be a fascinating development, if so...!

<Aubrienne> (Would Aubrienne recognize that word? I don't... >.>)

<DiablotinNarrator> (ahhh... I forget who's heard it before and who hasn't. But she's been doing reading/research into the fey, so it's possible she's come across it.)

<Aubrienne> (Okie doke. What does it mean?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/plants/irminsul)

<DiablotinNarrator> (a tree with a gate to another plane in it, more or less)

<Aubrienne> (Coolio, thanks. :))

<Lathra> (We might have heard it from our researcher friend, IIRC?)

<Lathra> (He certainly talked about them, I forget if he used the name)

<Aubrienne> Fascinating, certainly, but also dangerous.

<DiablotinNarrator> (ah yes - http://rocksfall.org/wiki/Diablotin_3_session_15#Aubrienne_and_Lathra_receive_Xandhil.27s_report_on_fey)

<DiablotinNarrator> (he did use the name then)

<Aubrienne> (Oh, yeah, I'm refreshing my memory now. :p)

<Ilphere> I wonder if similar shards took root in the minds of the Shadar-kai who severed their connection to the planes...! of course, we can hardly ask them...

<Aubrienne> You seemed to think you could find a way to sever Raimond's connection to this entity. To, ah, remove the splinter, as it were. How would you go about doing that?

<Cordovera> Well, I don't think it could be as hard as destroying an Arch, for instance. This is a... more limited connection, it seems.

<Lathra> I'm wondering what the purpose of it is? Is it just a side-effect of being there, or does it serve some kind of function - could they be like seeds, which could grow to form a new tree maybe? Or, if they don't have such an explicit purpose, could these dreams be used in some way? As some kind of staging ground perhaps?

<Aubrienne> It's the staging ground idea that most frightens me, but the concept of the seeds spreading seems, well, about as frightening as it is wondrous.

<Ilphere> I'm not certain... I suppose it's possible that if M. Neherin were to die, something larger could take root... Oh, I'm sorry, dear...!

  • Ilphere says to Dasra, realizing that was a bit insensitive ;p
  • Aubrienne will put a comforting hand on Dasra's arm.

<Aubrienne> I'm sure that's not going to happen.

<Aubrienne> But the manifestation of these seeds remains in the realm of dreams. Was that Raimond's demi-plane, or do you think it was some sort of shared construct with the others suffering from these nightmares?

<Ilphere> But if any of these creatures possess, for instance, a spell like mine, they could potentially exit his dream and journey here...

<Ilphere> But it seems complicated, when perhaps they could plane shift from their own plane in any case....

<Ruchard> ... I can say at least that my own dreams don't seem to share a connection to that realm. But then, I wasn't at Seda Grove...

<Aubrienne> Well, the war had plenty of horrors without the interference of the fey.

  • Aubrienne gives him a sympathetic look.
  • Ruchard nods

<Lathra> I know other people who have... prescient, or relevant dreams, that have had them become preoccupied by this theme, too.

<Lathra> I don't think they have any particular connections to the war.

<Ruchard> I'd be interested to speak to them, if you were willing to introduce us.

<Lathra> I can certainly try

<Ilphere> I'll conduct some research into ways to possibly sever this connection, without doing grievous injury to M. Neherin.

<Aubrienne> And tracing the connection? I know it's to the First World, but I can only assume, being a plane, it's rather large.

<Ilphere> Well, yes, I believe so...!

<Ilphere> The connection between the planes can be quite convoluted...

<Aubrienne> I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

  • Aubrienne gives her best appropriate puppy dog face. ;)

<Ilphere> The connection is quite real - so I feel confident that the young man - your brother? - was a genuine presence, not a figment of M. Neherin's imagination...

<Lathra> Yes, I've been rather preoccupied with Raimond, but if your brother and others are alive we should certainly see what can be done to help them.

<Aubrienne> He said he's staying with friends...I can only assume the fey?

<Ilphere> But whether he, it, was genuinely your brother, or some other entity impersonating him for some reason, I'm not certain... I didn't have time to try and study him more closely...!

<Aubrienne> It was him.

<Aubrienne> I know my brother.

  • Aubrienne states with conviction.

<Lathra> Or his "friends" could be other soldiers who went missing, perhaps?

<Ilphere> All right...

<Aubrienne> (Not that she has any real idea :p)

<Aubrienne> I'm perfectly aware of the fact that it was a dream, and the fey are known tricksters and shapeshifters, but I'm certain that was Jean-Faust.

<Aubrienne> <quieter> I'm certain.

  • Ilphere nods

<Ilphere> I believe you, dear, of course...!

<Aubrienne> I'm sorry, I don't mean to pull focus from Raimond.

<Aubrienne> His is the more immediate plight.

<Ilphere> But if your brother is in the First World, that's marvellous... at least, it could be much worse...!

<Lathra> No, I think it's quite important that you saw your brother, and I got the distinct impression that he wasn't the only one stranded there.

<Aubrienne> It does seem like there are more people being held, or stuck, or visiting, or whatever they are doing in the First World.

<Ruchard> I wonder about the soldiers we pulled down

<Ruchard> Whether they were figments of the dream, or actual people.

<Ilphere> I believe they were dream-creations, my dear... but the symbolism is potent...!

<Ilphere> The tree feeding on soldiers it's captured, who are being drained somehow...

<Lathra> The imagery spoke to me of Raimond's psyche, perhaps of people he felt he had failed in the war and their suffering?

<Ilphere> yes, quite so...!

<Ilphere> It may also be significant that we didn't see Raimond himself in his dream...

<Aubrienne> I had wondered about that...

<Ilphere> Perhaps by exploring further, we can locate him, and speak to him in a way that has more knowledge of the dreamscape than his waking self...

  • Ilphere ponders

<Aubrienne> So we'll need to return?

<Aubrienne> That won't tax him, will it?

<Cordovera> I think he'll be all right... but if you don't wish to return, it's certainly not required. I know it can be rather alarming.

<Aubrienne> No, I think I'd rather come along, if it's all right. If nothing else, it's terribly fascinating, and perhaps I can be of some help, somehow.

<Cordovera> Then we'll arrange another visit, after we've had a chance to perform some research, then.

<Lathra> Not to mention it's the only lead you have on your brother, dear! I'd imagine you wouldn't want to miss any excursions.

<Cordovera> Thank you for coming along with us.

<Aubrienne> Thank you for the opportunity.

<Ilphere> oh yes, thank you ever so much, it was fascinating...!

  • Aubrienne gives the best smile she can muster.

<Aubrienne> Now, I think some of Lathra's enhanced water might be a good plan, for the nerves...

<Dasra> Anything you can do to help Raimond, I certainly appreciate.

  • Dasra will pass around the enhanced water, then
  • Lathra passes Aubrienne a glass

Zola meets with Valeen about Geffrard's wedding plans

  • Valeen makes plans to meet you for dinner, and says she's bringing a friend.
  • Zola wonders if Valeen has found herself a young man :3
  • Valeen will meet you at a nice upscale restaurant, then
  • Zola puts herself together stylishly as always in red and black, and picks out a suitable cigarette holder for the occasion.
  • Valeen has a female companion - a woman maybe about her age, around 30 or so, with bobbed red hair and a cute dress

<Valeen> Zola, dear, this is my friend Lili Veilleux :)

<Zola> .oO( Or a nice young lady, I suppose! )

<Zola> Valeen!

<Zola> Lovely to meet you Lili :)

  • Zola leans in to give her a peck on the cheek.

<Lili> Nice to meet you too, at last.

<Valeen> I've been telling her all about you ;)

<Zola> Oh, dear, only good ones I hope :)

<Lili> Nothing but the best, I'm sure.

<Zola> (Has she mentioned Lili ?)

<DiablotinNarrator> Maybe once or twice, as a friend of hers.

<DiablotinNarrator> You seem to recall her saying that Lili owns a bookstore

<Zola> Valeen says you run a bookstore, is that right?

<Lili> Yes, just a little place in the Place d'Iena.

<Lili> And you sing at a cabaret?

<Zola> Yes, Titania's. Though I do hope we'll hear some of my songs on the radio sometime soon :)

<Lili> Ooh, exciting! :)

<Valeen> Then it'll be a short step to making records and selling hundreds of copies :)

<Zola> I do hope!  :)

<Zola> I just need to twist my agent's arm into getting things in order, he takes some badgering sometimes.

<Zola> When it's not his idea, at least.

<Valeen> heh

<Valeen> So listen, I have a question concerning the club, in fact.

  • Valeen says as you peruse your menus

<Zola> (Has Geff gotten married yet?)

<Zola> Oh?

<Valeen> (not that you know of)

<Valeen> Well - you remember I spoke about that particularly ... special... wedding ceremony I was asked to preside at?

<Zola> Yes? Of course!

  • Zola looks back and forth between the two to see if she can gauge if Lili already knows about it.

<Valeen> Don't worry, Lili knows :)

  • Valeen says, reading your look

<Zola> So tight lipped, our Valeen :)

<Valeen> You have to have discretion to be a priest!

<Valeen> ... mostly

<Zola> So is he thinking about having it at the Cabaret?

<Valeen> He is - as you might imagine having it at a church isn't really an option...

  • Zola has a hard time seeing that as the most covert option

<Valeen> But asking your boss to close the place seems presumptuous.

<Valeen> Do you think she'd mind if we did it one afternoon, maybe, before opening?

<Zola> Well, perhaps something during th- yes, exactly.

<Zola> I'll arrange it!

<Zola> Does he need a singer? :D

<Zola> You must have told him you told me?

<Valeen> Well, I might have mentioned, yes. So as you guessed, they were hoping you'd be willing to sing :)

<Zola> :D

<Valeen> I told him he should just ask you himself, but he's so shy ;p

<Zola> Yes but now that I know he knows I know... he can't shy away :D

<Zola> I'll have to corner him and find out what songs they'd like to hear

  • Zola is clearly pretty excited by the prospect of participating in a wedding :D

<Valeen> I'm sure he'd like that :)

<Valeen> well, maybe not the being cornered part

  • Valeen teases

<Zola> He'll live.

  • Zola takes a drag and looks back at her forgotten menu

<Valeen> I've met his partner now too.

<Zola> "Oh dear, I should pick something..."

<Zola> Oh?

<Valeen> He seems... well, he seems like a charming fellow.

  • Valeen seems to fumble a bit for a description
  • Zola 's eyes flick up over the menu, to see if Valeen is being polite

<Valeen> There's nothing *wrong* with him

  • Valeen adds quickly

<Zola> Is he a little ugly?

<Valeen> No, no - quite handsome, although he's on the small side - short and thin. He just gives me a little bit of an odd feeling. But they seem very happy together.

<Zola> Hmm... what's his name?

<Valeen> Osmyn Devos.

<Zola> (That seems like an odd name?)

<Valeen> From what I know of him, he's Psyrene, but he was an ally during the war.

<Valeen> a... double agent, or some such? very dramatic I'm sure.

<Zola> It did sound like his name came from 'round those parts.

<Valeen> And he's a sorcerer, I know that much.

<Valeen> They met during the war. so romantic :3

<Zola> Well, maybe he's just troubled from the war. Geff's a little quiet himself.

<Valeen> Maybe so.

<Zola> Yes @.@

<Zola> A brotherhood above all others ^_^

  • Valeen smiles at that

<Valeen> I do hope they'll be happy together. They seem to be good for one another.

<Zola> Do you share our silly love of weddings, Lili? Do we need to find an excuse to get you invited too? :)

<Lili> I do like weddings - they always seem so optimistic :)

<Zola> How're you at mixing drinks? :D

<Lili> I don't know that I'd ever want to get married myself, but I think if people are happy together, then that's for the best :)

<Lili> All right, I suppose?

<Zola> No??

<Lili> Well... I don't think I could tie myself down to one person forever, let's say.

<Zola> So then you get married more times:D

<Lili> If there was an understanding, maybe, that we could see other people... I might consider it ;)

<Zola> I know what you mean.

<Zola> I'm not sure what my endgame is. The story romances are so enticing, but I want to have more than one!

<Lili> And it would have to be with someone who respected me, and wasn't trying to control me or stifle me.

  • Valeen nods

<Valeen> You can't marry someone expecting them to change who they are.

<Valeen> That never works out well.

<Zola> Well that's what real love brings... respect... if they want to control or stifle you, they don't really love you, they love what they want you to be.

<Lili> I suppose I've just never found that yet.

<Zola> I pray you do :)

  • Valeen nods, smiling

<Valeen> In any case - I did tell him I'd ask you, and since you've agreed you'll sing, you can speak to him and make whatever arrangements are necessary...

<Zola> Until then, at least, you find enough fun, I hope? :)

<Lili> Oh, yes! plenty of fun :)

  • Zola will indeed corner Geff sometime >_>

<Valeen> They're planning for the wedding to be in about a month. I hope that'll give you enough time :)

<Zola> Oh certainly!

<Valeen> wonderful :)

  • Valeen pauses as the waiter comes to take your orders, and you can proceed with having a girls' night out :)

<Zola> (:3)

Solos

Gen chats with Sylvise in the attic

  • Genevriel follows Sylvise up into the dusty old Voclain attic.

<Sylvise> Mind your head...

  • Genevriel ducks just in time.

<Genevriel> Thank you.

  • Sylvise says, gesturing to a low beam

<Genevriel> (Say, how tall is Sylvise relative to me? ^-^)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I think Tuck has said both Dorien's parents are fairly tall, but she's probably not as tall as you. maybe 5'9" or 5'10"?)

<Genevriel> (cool, thanks)

  • Genevriel probably won't get the courage up to say much to Sylvise until we've started digging through boxes, so we can fast forward to that unless she has things she wants to say to me as well
  • Sylvise will make chitchat as she goes through things, getting to the boxes she is looking for

<Sylvise> (but nothing consequential, unless you want to know about boxes of Dorien's toys and baby clothes and such ;)

<Genevriel> (not especially, no!  :) )

  • Sylvise eventually pulls out a trunk and opens it up

<Sylvise> here we are - these are all sorts of family letters and papers

  • Genevriel will be engrossed in helping her sort through them for ones from Tiphaigne (there may even be some obligatory niece and nephew letters to aunt and uncle in there, I suppose! Written in Gen and Andri's childish hands from years gone by.)

<Sylvise> I'm positive I put a copy of the notes I sent her in here, just as a precaution

  • Genevriel nods.
  • Sylvise 's letters are at least fairly neatly organized, tied in small bundles that might each represent a year or so of correspondence

<Genevriel> How have you been?

  • Genevriel asks at length.

<Sylvise> Oh, I'm all right. It's a relief that Jerard is doing better.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> That's good.

  • Genevriel had meant more about losing her sister and stuff, but doesn't pursue the matter from this angle.

<Genevriel> I... I thought you might like to know that they're buried in the military cemetery at the Arguvan outpost. In case you ever want to visit...

<Sylvise> oh... yes.

  • Sylvise falters slightly

<Sylvise> I'd like to visit there one day.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I don't think there are any headstones, though. The war had broken out so there was no time.

  • Sylvise nods

<Sylvise> Perhaps we could see some sort of monument put up.

<Genevriel> Oh, isn't that a bit... ostentatious?

<Sylvise> well... maybe something that would commemorate the people buried there

<Sylvise> not only our family, but all of them

  • Genevriel nods.

<Sylvise> if that sort of thing might be allowed

<Genevriel> Madds could probably tell you.

<Sylvise> You mentioned this 'Madds' before - is he a friend of yours?

<Genevriel> We became friends just before the war. But I've changed a lot, and I'd be surprised if he hasn't, too. He sustained at least one major injury. At least, he limps now when he walks. So... I'm not sure how well we'd get along as friends anymore.

<Genevriel> And I think he might want to keep his distance anyway, since he works for military justice now, and I'm possibly a war criminal.

<Genevriel> At least he didn't seem to want people to know he knows me when I turned myself in.

<Sylvise> Oh... that's difficult. But I think that whatever you had in common before the war, you must still share some of it at least.

<Sylvise> Perhaps after things are more... settled, you and he can be friends again.

  • Genevriel shrugs.

<Genevriel> I expect it will depend on whether I'm found guilty or not.

<Sylvise> Maybe.

<Sylvise> Are you worried about that?

<Genevriel> I don't really know whether to worry or not. I didn't believe during the war that I was killing any civilians. But since they brought the charges up, I've been doubting myself.

<Sylvise> I suppose all you can do is answer their questions honestly, then, and hope they'll see things as you do.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> That's the plan. I'm not a liar, anyway.

<Sylvise> No, of course you're not!

<Sylvise> Having doubts is understandable. I'm sure it was a very chaotic time.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I don't think anyone can imagine, who wasn't there themselves.

  • Sylvise nods

<Sylvise> Did you... did you see them buried? Were you there?

<Genevriel> ...

  • Genevriel nods.
  • Sylvise puts her hand on your shoulder

<Genevriel> I was there when we found them, too. That was worse.

<Sylvise> I'm so sorry.

<Genevriel> You needn't apologize - you had nothing to do with it.

  • Genevriel smiles wanly.

<Sylvise> I can still feel sorry that you had to go through that.

  • Sylvise says gently.
  • Genevriel nods slightly, accepting that.

<Genevriel> I - I have another friend, August. He's an older gentleman, a musician at the Cabaret. He's been very supportive of me for the past few months.

<Sylvise> oh? that's good, I'm glad you have friends to help you.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> He told me I need to open up a bit more to people. Be more willing to ask for help. I don't know why, but that is a very difficult thing for me to do.

<Genevriel> Well, maybe I do know. I don't want you or anyone to be ashamed of me. I already feel like- like I'm a complete failure so I'd rather not anyone confirm it for me.

<Sylvise> Genevriel - we're your family. I know we can never replace your parents, or your brother, but we love you. We aren't ashamed of you, not at all. You've had some difficult times, awful experiences - but nothing that makes me think less of you.

<Genevriel> Well... you might change your mind, still. The reason I'm working at the Cabaret is because it's the only job I've been able to hold down. I had two other jobs before I got it and I got myself fired from both of them.

<Genevriel> I know everyone who knows me must think I'm a waste bussing tables. The problem is that I drink too much. I started during the war and I haven't been able to stop.

<Genevriel> I'm trying to now, though. I don't know how successful I'll be.

  • Sylvise pauses, considering what to say next

<Genevriel> But I just wanted you to know I am trying, at least.

<Sylvise> I don't think you're a waste - you're doing what you need to in order to survive. You're very strong. And trying to stop drinking is also a very brave thing to do.

<Sylvise> I'm proud of you, Gen.

<Genevriel> Okay. Okay, that's fine.

  • Genevriel 's eyes well up.
  • Sylvise hugs you
  • Genevriel hugs her back and cries for a bit.
  • Sylvise will pat your back and hug you until you calm down

<Genevriel> Thank you.

<Sylvise> Anything we can do to help, we're here for you.

<Genevriel> I'll try to be better about asking for help when I need it. I just hate being a burden.

  • Sylvise nods

<Sylvise> you're not

<Sylvise> now... let's find those notes. Did you want to see the other letters and so on too?

<Genevriel> I should like to, yes, if it isn't too much trouble.

<Genevriel> I could almost hear her voice when I read the one in the journal.

<Sylvise> of course, dear

  • Sylvise will help you retrieve your mother's letters, and also locate the notes she took

<Genevriel> (cool - there is one more thing I wanted to ask her about, though...)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay - ask away, although I should wrap up soon-ish :)

  • Genevriel will be cautious while asking this.

<Genevriel> Tante Sylvise... I was wondering how things are, really, between Oncle Jerard and Dorien? When I first met him, I got the impression that he'd been disowned... But now that I've seen him with you and everyone else, it doesn't seem like there is such a big divide after all.

  • Sylvise sighs

<Sylvise> For a while, after the... accident, things were very tense.

  • Genevriel nods, listening.

<Sylvise> They had words with one another, and they can both be very stubborn too, in their ways.

  • Genevriel half-smiles.

<Genevriel> I think it runs in the family.

  • Sylvise nods

<Sylvise> Yes, definitely.

<Sylvise> I tried to get them to speak to one another, but it was difficult.

<Sylvise> But when Jerard had his scare, with his heart, he realized he didn't want to die with that ... that weight on his conscience. He asked to see Dorien almost as soon as he was awake again.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Sylvise> Things are still not perfect - I know he would like Dorien to take a new job, and he's been speaking with friends and colleagues to try and help find him one.

<Sylvise> But I'm not certain if that's what Dorien wants.

<Genevriel> Don't you know? Dorien has been training an apprentice. I think it's so he can move on to something different.

<Sylvise> Jerard's always had a certain... vision of how his children's lives would turn out. Dorien has always ... resisted that path.

<Sylvise> Oh, he is?

  • Genevriel nods.

<Sylvise> That's good, then, I suppose. Maybe he does mean to move on.

<Genevriel> I think so, but then I don't really know him as well as I knew Andri, so I might be reading him wrong.

  • Sylvise seems slightly encouraged by that

<Genevriel> I'm not very good at figuring out people.

  • Genevriel admits.

<Sylvise> I'm glad you and Dorien are friends. And I suspect you know him better than you think.

  • Genevriel shrugs.

<Genevriel> Only time will tell.

<Genevriel> Well, he is probably wondering what has happened to us. I suppose we should head back downstairs.

<Genevriel> Thank you for taking the time to find these for me. I do appreciate it.

<Sylvise> It was no trouble, dear.

  • Sylvise closes up the trunk and will slide it back into its place.
  • Genevriel will start reading the notes and letters as soon as she gets home. :)

<Genevriel> (If there's anything of note, will you send me an email?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (sure)

<Genevriel> (thanks!)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you're welcome :)

Argent reveals his Inquisitiveness to Denise

Argent keeps Denise company at her home after returning from Molniere's robot workshop.

<Argent> (I'll have picked up a bottle of rum to help take the bit of the cold off)

<Denise> (after we're home, I assume?)

<Denise> you wanna come in an talk, then?

<Argent> (On the way home)

  • Argent nods

<Argent> Now is as good as any time.

<Argent> but yes I do

<Denise> We can go to my room.

  • Argent will follow Denise in
  • Denise looks in the kitchen to see if we have anything snacky, and grabs a jar of cookies, and some glasses for the rum

<Denise> (mmm, rum and cookies >.>)

  • Argent sheds his heavy winter clothes, still wincing a from a few bruises from the contruct.
  • Denise does likewise, lookign down at her all cut up and bloody clothes from getting stabbed
  • Denise is still hurt too, for that matter

<Denise> just uh, gimme a minute to get changed >.>

  • Argent nods and waits

<Argent> Do you want me to take a better look at those?

<Denise> can you do any more healing?

  • Argent nods

<Denise> okay

  • Argent will look at the cuts

<Argent> They're not deep. I've seen worse.

<Denise> yeah... they were worse >.>

  • Argent closes his eyes and speaks a brieft prayer to the gods. Healing energy coarses from this hands into the wounds.

<Argent> !roll 1d8+4

  • Balthcat rolls for Argent: [ 1d8+4 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 6 ].
  • Denise looks pretty much all better after that

<Denise> thanks

<Argent> can't mend clothes, at least with magic.

<Denise> that okay

<Denise> need to see if all the blood comes out first anyway

<Denise> gimme a few, then

  • Argent nods and will pour a finger of dark rum in the two glasses while he waits
  • Denise changes into some old clothes that probably beloinged to (at least) one of her uncles

<Denise> there

  • Argent will hand Denise her glass

<Argent> They look comfortable

<Denise> thanks

  • Denise takes a drink of her rum
  • Argent will find a seat
  • Denise plonks down on her bed

<Denise> so like...

<Argent> oh by the way, I can cast spells

<Denise> Are you.... yeah

  • Argent smiles

<Denise> are you a priest?

<Argent> not exactly

<Argent> I do work for the church

<Denise> okay....

  • Argent pulls out his holy symbol he keeps on a chain on his neck

<Denise> How come you didn't say nothin'?

<Denise> like - before >.>

<Argent> there are reasons...

  • Argent rolls his eyes even has he says it

<Argent> I'm sort of still in training

<Argent> let me start from the begining and lay it out for you

<Argent> remember when I disappeared about a year or so ago?

  • Denise nods, and sips more rum

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> gotta be longer than that though, now @_@

<Argent> yeah... I didn't go to jail, I was recruited.

<Argent> I did go to a monestary, but it wasn't for a work detail, it was training.

<Denise> ....by the curch.

<Denise> what for?

<Argent> To infiltrate, find, and defeat... monsters, I guess, you could say... really creatures not of this plane.

<Denise> like the fey?

<Argent> I was being sent out to find Demons and Devils that had infiltrated Diablotin... they fey wasn't exactly what I was trained for.

<Argent> but I guess the fey now

<Argent> I'm learning

  • Argent takes a sip of his rum
  • Denise nods

<Denise> okay

<Denise> so

<Argent> so the whole infiltrate part is why I didn't tell you.

<Denise> right...

<Argent> but I'm not going to sit by and let my friends get hurt when I have the ability to do something about it.

  • Denise nods

<Argent> even if it exposes myself

<Denise> well, I don't need to tell no one

<Argent> thank you I really appreciate that... it was more than I could hope, keeping things like this from you.

<Denise> but like

<Denise> what about Mireva?

  • Argent drinks down the rest of his rum

<Denise> an - what about other stuff?

<Denise> like - what all are you tellin' the chruch about?

<Argent> I need to figure out about Mireva...

<Argent> and the other stuff, I only tell them about what's involved in the goals I'm set about... I have discretion in my actions to achieve the ends.

<Argent> So far I've done nothing against the goals the church would have me do.

<Denise> so like

<Argent> The investigation in the Duke's basement... potential demon.

<Denise> right

<Argent> fighting the fey... recognized threat

<Denise> is that the real reasn you went?

<Denise> hmm.

<Argent> and to help my friends. I can do both.

<Argent> even the factory investigation... trying to find a murderer, they would understand

<Argent> I have no qualms about any of the actions i've taken.

<Denise> okay

<Argent> my biggest fear is that you won't trust me any more.

<Denise> I get about doin; stuff that ain't all things you should be spreadin' around

<Denise> I dunno about the church - you never struck me as real churchy, but fightin' monsters is oretty cool.

<Denise> But I think what gets me is like.... "infiltratin'"

<Denise> 'cause, like - what's there to infiltrate?

<Denise> An - if all you got for folks to watch your back is folks you ain't gonna be straight with, you're in trouble

<Argent> I know... im a waiter...

  • Argent shrugs

<Argent> It was for me to learn

<Denise> I guess so

<Argent> I need people watching my back. We all do.

<Denise> yeah

  • Denise smiles a little
  • Argent looks away

<Denise> I think prolly I'd be madder 'cept I know you're there for me.

<Argent> of course I am

<Denise> If it were jus' me an aunt Hettie tonight, I don't think it woulda gone real well >.>

  • Denise nods
  • Argent looks back

<Argent> Glad you asked me to come then

<Denise> me too

<Denise> you know if you've got other fights, you can come to me too, right

  • Argent nods

<Denise> I ain't all churchy or nothin, but i bet it be cool to puch a demon

<Denise> :)

<Argent> Fighting monsters is cool

<Denise> mostly

<Denise> I still ain't real keen on ben' turned to ice

<Argent> you'd be able to put your rum on the rocks just by putting your finger in it.

  • Argent jokes

<Denise> heh

<Denise> or pieces of it, anyway ;p

<Argent> one knuckle or two?

<Denise> hah

<Denise> So like - I was gonna talk to Ander about maybe seein if there was somethin' to be done to help folks in our neighborhoods

<Denise> since you know what the guards there are like

<Argent> yeah and with the fey wandering around, and even with the extra cold weather, things arn't great

<Denise> If somethin' does get set up I was gonna ask if you wanted to help

<Argent> I'd be glad to

<Denise> okay - even if it's not secret stuff?

<Denise> you don't gotta, like.... check with that priest lady? >.>

<Argent> no

<Denise> with the cute kid?

<Denise> okay

<Argent> Although I could descretely ask her to maybe move some resources through the church to the area to help out.

<Denise> I guess any help would be good

  • Denise sounds a bit dubious though >.>

<Argent> Can't hurt to ask

  • Denise nods

<Argent> and if we do see more of the fae, we might be able to track down where they're coming from.

<Denise> okay

<Denise> yeah

  • Denise nods

<Denise> thiough I bet them trees would be a good place to start >.>

<Denise> Enver says they're all down in the undercity too

  • Argent nods

<Denise> same as up here

<Argent> may need to take a second close look at them

<Denise> uh, the fey, I mean, not the trees, it just reminded me is all

<Denise> but yeah

  • Argent knuckles his forehead

<Denise> what?

<Argent> I'm not well read enough to figure out half this stuff

<Argent> I've looked at books, I'm good at spotting weaknesses, but this stuff with trees?

<Denise> I dunno

<Denise> like

<Denise> I just do what I can

<Denise> the channels know more though

<Denise> They even knew what they were all called an' stuff

  • Argent nods

<Argent> suppose we could talk to them, have them take a look if they havent already.

<Denise> Mickey said they were gonna

<Denise> but he;'s just in trainin' too, so i don't know if they'dve told him if they found anything

<Denise> i could ask, though

<Argent> yeah

<Argent> and if they haven't looked maybe we could tag along

<Denise> maybe... - no infiltratin' though :p

<Argent> I'll only check to see if they're evil, you know, just in case

<Denise> :p

<Denise> you can check that?

  • Argent nods

<Argent> It doesn't work on people, really, unless they are really bad, or are a servant of an evil god.

<Denise> huh

<Argent> or not exactly human

  • Denise frowns a bit, trying to get her head around exactky what that means, perhaps, but shrugs and finishes her rum

<Argent> its an inexact tool

<Argent> at times

<Denise> ...right

<Denise> anyway

<Denise> I don't figure any of the channels are evil :p

<Argent> neither do I

<Argent> with the fey and the winter, I'm never gonna get my motorcycle

  • Argent muses, changeing the subject to a more light hearted one

<Denise> all the more reasn to get rid of 'em, I guess :)

<Argent> I'll see if that works... "hey you... get out of my city, I got biking to do!"

<Denise> what you need

<Denise> is a bike, an like.... cold iron chains on the tires

<Denise> so you can just run' em over

<Argent> and put a mount of the front for a shotgun

<Argent> POW!

<Denise> :D

<Denise> there you go :D

<Argent> you'd need a bike too

<Denise> ask the church real nice I guess ;p

<Denise> yeah...

<Denise> that'd be nice, but it ain't happenin' :|

<Argent> even with our windfall, things that tight?

<Denise> yeah :/

<Denise> 'cause I gotta help take care of mam

<Denise> to have someone come an look after her

<Denise> so Mikel can move out and Yvie can stay in school

<Argent> darn, that sucks.

<Argent> its family though, so its worth it

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> she's my mam.

<Argent> If it was my mom, I'd do everything I could, too

  • Argent finishes his drink
  • Denise tilts her head and looks at you, remember that maybe you don't actually know what that would be like >.>

<Denise> :/

<Denise> did you ever think about goin' to talk to the ... the old people, like Alea Pevenche was takin' about

<Denise> who keep all the records an' stuff?

<Argent> I'm not sure it would help

<Denise> maybe though

<Denise> I dunno - is it something you ever really wanna know about?

  • Denise curiouses

<Argent> It is, and I have found out a little bit... enough to make me cautious about finding more.

<Argent> Maybe I'm a little scared to know the whole truth

<Denise> ...how come?

  • Denise tries to imagine why - maybe knowing why someone didnt' want tpo keep you woudl be difficult though
  • Argent is deep in thought, wrestling with something

<Denise> well, you don't gotta tell me.

<Denise> or you can have more rum :)

  • Argent chuckles
  • Argent gets a little more rum

<Argent> You're my closest friend, and I just don't get to talk about stuff like this to anyone.

<Argent> I've already dropped alot on you tonight.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> yeah, but like, you helped put me actually back together, so.

  • Denise shrugs

<Argent> Void... whats the worst that could happen.

  • Argent swigs back his rum and hand the glass to Denise
  • Denise takes it

<Argent> This is a trick I learned when I was young... I never showed anybody.

<Denise> okay...

  • Argent focuses and touches the glass. It glows in a brilliant radiance, like the sun, filling the room with light.

<Argent> (its really bright)

  • Denise squints

<Denise> that's really bright!

<Denise> is it a spell?

<Argent> no, I can just call up light.

<Argent> there are spells that can do the same thing, but they are well beyond me.

<Argent> I learned I could do that when I was 12

  • Argent will touch the glass and the light will vanish

<Denise> can you make it stop?

  • Denise asks, peerimg at your from squiunted eyes

<Argent> that better

<Denise> you can just.... do that?

<Denise> whenever you want?

<Argent> not whenever I want... I draw the light from inside myself... it needs to build up again. It takes about a day.

<Denise> ...huh.

<Argent> when I snuffed it out, I just released it from the glass... I'm probably not explaining it very well...

<Argent> its a gift from part of my parentage

<Denise> huh

<Denise> that why you're scared to find out more?

<Argent> I'm at least part not human

<Argent> so yeah, its a little scary

<Denise> I know lots of folks who ain't all human, or human at all

<Denise> Mireva's half

<Argent> I know, and she's always known... and knows her lineage.

<Denise> not really

<Denise> I mean, she knows she's part Shadar kai

<Argent> yeah

<Denise> She sais she has got some bets on maybe who her da was, but she dp't know nothin'

  • Argent smiles

<Denise> I get how it would be scary, not knowin' though

<Argent> especially if you're one of the only ones

<Denise> ort only one..s... you know about, anyway

  • Denise counters

<Argent> true enough

<Denise> but maybe you shoudl talk to the old people

<Argent> so yeah... im half angel or something like that

<Denise> maybe they got records about that sorta thing

<Denise> half what?

<Argent> Angel... celestial servant to the gods.

<Denise> ...is that why you're with the church?

<Argent> as far as I know they don't know.

  • Denise nods

<Argent> although it may help explain how I have such a strong divine connection.

<Denise> how do you know, then?

  • Denise had assumed they'd told you :V

<Argent> I can't tell you. It's a trust I have to keep. I believe completely what I was told.

<Denise> ...okay.

  • Denise nods

<Argent> so... hows that for a load to drop on someone.

<Denise> well, I dunno

<Argent> no leads on who my parents were exactly.

<Denise> I'm glad you could tell me, an all

<Denise> an I know it's a big dea for *you*, cause it's who you are' an stuff

<Denise> but like - it ain't so big a deal for me? Does that make sense?

<Denise> It doens't bother me none, I guess, is what I mean

<Argent> hey Im glad its no bother

<Denise> An' it makes more sense to me why you'd not say about it, 'cause of folks like the colour guard an; all

<Argent> I do want to find out more.

<Argent> I just need to be cautious, like I said.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> well

<Denise> if it's somethin' I can help with, lemme know

<Argent> Thanks

<Denise> anythin' else you need to unload? ;p

<Argent> yeah... one more thing... Why'd you go running after that little noisy 'bot when we already had one in front of us to deal with and you're aunt had a gun, which would be a whole lot easier to take it out with? Whats with that? Do you like getting netted and stabbed.

  • Argent pokes Denise in the ribs

<Denise> :p

<Denise> I figured I was faster an' culd stop it gettin away if she couldn't get a clean shot

<Denise> plus I figured you an her wouldn't have trouble with just one -_-

<Denise> I thought maybe there might be somethin in that other room, but not where i couldn't get away from it >.>

<Argent> We... we know how to work as a team to take things down...

  • Argent points between them

<Argent> I'd never been in a fight with your aunt... and she's obviously not inot the up close and personal type of fighting.

<Denise> ¬_¬

<Argent> Im just saying we could have handled that better

<Denise> I know it weren't the smartest thing *now*

<Denise> I ain't always real good at thinkin' on the fly

  • Denise says, a tad defensively

<Argent> You've got a great head for a fight... We...both of us... have to keep reminding the other that a pair can take down a foe faster than individually. Its not an arena, fair fights are fights you have a 50% chance of loosing.

<Denise> you sound like Syrez ;p

<Argent> Its a message I got beat into me... with scars to show for it.

<Denise> I already *got* someone to tell me what I need to work on >.>

<Denise> an fair fights ain't a thing I'm worried about, neither

<Denise> I'll try an' be smarter next time

<Argent> I just want to keep the wounds we have to patch up a little less.

<Argent> I hate sewing

<Denise> well, lucky I got an aunt who's real good at it >..

<Denise> >.>

<Argent> well maybe I'll see if she can patch up a few things.

<Denise> Prolly she;ll say yes 'cause you came along, but I'd still ask real nice ;)

<Argent> Damn straight, I don't want to get shot.

  • Argent laughs

<Denise> prolly if you give her some if that rum before it;s all gone, that'd help too

  • Denise grins

<Argent> yeah, ive had enough rum for the night.

Aubrienne tells Jed about her experiences dream-walking in Raimond's brain

  • Aubrienne will drive herself home from Raimond's, paying dangerously little attention to the road.
  • Aubrienne is still lost in thought as she opens the door to the apartment, taking a moment to lean against it once she closes it.
  • Jedrezj is lounging on the couch, chatting on the phone

<Aubrienne> <mouths> Who is it?

<Jedrezj> ... he didn't even zip up... oh, hi there

  • Aubrienne gives a weak smile in greeting

<Jedrezj> <mouths> Briza

  • Aubrienne nods.

<Jedrezj> Look, I gotta run - I'll talk to you later, okay?

<Jedrezj> Okay.

<Jedrezj> Okay.

<Aubrienne> Tell her I say hi.

<Jedrezj> Aubrienne says hi.

<Jedrezj> She says hi back.

  • Jedrezj tells you

<Jedrezj> Bye - yes. Later. Bye.

  • Jedrezj finally detaches from the phone
  • Aubrienne nods and continues the weak smile.

<Jedrezj> argh.

<Jedrezj> ... are you okay?

<Aubrienne> Problem?

<Aubrienne> Not at all.

<Jedrezj> not... really, I guess.

<Aubrienne> What's up with Briza?

<Jedrezj> It's, uh... I don't know.

  • Jedrezj sighs
  • Aubrienne heads towards the kitchen, assuming he'll follow.

<Jedrezj> She's just really... young? and ... forgive me... ditzy.

  • Jedrezj follows along

<Jedrezj> The conversation is not always scintillating.

<Aubrienne> Well, I didn't think it was her brains you were seeing her for.

<Jedrezj> No.

  • Aubrienne will grab drinks from the fridge.

<Jedrezj> I didn't expect the phone calls though, where she just wants to talk.

  • Jedrezj shrugs

<Jedrezj> But what's the problem at your end?

  • Aubrienne returns the shrug, handing Jed a bottle of [probably beer?].

<Aubrienne> Oh, so much.

  • Jedrezj accepts

<Aubrienne> I saw Jean-Faust today.

  • Aubrienne sits, opens her drink with a quick prestidigitation, and takes a long draw.

<Jedrezj> you... what?

<Jedrezj> he's alive?

<Aubrienne> Yes.

<Jedrezj> but that's good news! .. right?

<Aubrienne> I'm...99% sure.

<Aubrienne> It's a matter of where I saw him.

<Jedrezj> okay...

  • Jedrezj sits down with you

<Aubrienne> You know how Lathra has that client who's been having those strange, draining dreams?

<Aubrienne> The one I've been meeting with with her?

<Jedrezj> Yeah, I remember you said something about that

<Aubrienne> Well, with all the fey weirdness that's been going on lately, we thought there might be a connection, so, long story short, Lathra and I ended up accompanying Princess Ilphere and two of her children into M. Neherin's dreams.

  • Aubrienne stares at the bottle for a moment.

<Aubrienne> My life has gotten very strange in the past few months.

  • Aubrienne shakes her head.

<Jedrezj> ... that's topping it, even for you, though.

<Aubrienne> Anyway, in the dream, there was a tree that had soldiers, like, our soldiers, Imperial soldiers, wrapped up in vines and the like in it's branches.

<Aubrienne> It seemed to be feeding off them somehow.

<Jedrezj> o_O

<Aubrienne> And, in the trunk of the tree, there was a cleft, and Jean-Faust was in it.

<Aubrienne> He said he'd heard my voice and followed it through to there.

<Jedrezj> but... it was a dream, right?

<Jedrezj> or... not only a dream?

<Aubrienne> Yeah, the latter.

<Aubrienne> I'm sure it was him.

  • Aubrienne 's voice leaves a little bit of doubt about that fact.
  • Jedrezj nods

<Aubrienne> He said he had to go back, that he was staying with friends, and they'd miss him, or they needed him, or...he left, is the upshot.

<Jedrezj> :/

<Aubrienne> The others told me not to try to follow him, and I know that was the right call, but I can't help but feel a little like I just let him go.

<Aubrienne> We're going to try to do something about the tree in the dream, which is a danger all on it's own, and it's a good thing to do, but all I can think about right now is trying to get my brother back.

<Aubrienne> He's out there.

<Aubrienne> Somewhere on another plane, but it's not like that's such a barrier these days.

<Jedrezj> well... no, I guess. but where?

  • Aubrienne directs a small smile at Jed at that.

<Jedrezj> Planes are complicated. I hated that part when I was studying :p

<Jedrezj> Transient, contiguous, magically morphic... :p

<Jedrezj> No wait, transitive.

<Aubrienne> Well, given what I just experienced, I think some of them may be transient.

<Jedrezj> fair

<Aubrienne> But he's in a place called the First World. Where the fey are from?

<Jedrezj> ... uh, huh.

  • Jedrezj sort of muses at that.

<Aubrienne> Well, it makes sense. The tree at Seda Grove was a kind of gateway there, and they think this one in the dream may be similar.

  • Jedrezj nods

<Aubrienne> I think he was called or lured or...something.

<Aubrienne> So, if he can't come here...

  • Aubrienne shrugs.

<Aubrienne> I'll just have to go there.

<Jedrezj> Before we go running into The First World - consider another possibility. Just... I'm not saying you're wrong. But it's worth being sure, right?

<Jedrezj> This guy, with the messed-up dreams. He was at Seda Grove, with your brother. He probably knew him. Maybe he has these bad dreams about people he knew.

  • Aubrienne sighs, looking a little defensive.

<Aubrienne> I know it's possible it wasn't him.

<Aubrienne> I'm just not sure how to verify it, and I can't afford not to pursue this.

<Jedrezj> Or maybe... it's something else, trying to lure you in too.

<Aubrienne> It's possible, but it's not like I'm going in completely unprepared.

<Jedrezj> :/

<Jedrezj> We.

<Aubrienne> You're not wrong.

<Aubrienne> What?

<Jedrezj> Well I'm not gonna let you go without me :p

  • Aubrienne stands up and comes around to wrap Jed in a fierce hug.

<Jedrezj> anyway my solo act still needs a lot of work

<Jedrezj> mhp

  • Jedrezj hugs you back

<Aubrienne> <sk> Thank you, [clan-mate].

<Aubrienne> I don't want to lose you, too.

  • Jedrezj smiles weakly at that

<Jedrezj> you realize you're overcoming my natural inclinations to laziness and cowardice.

<Aubrienne> It'll be a growth experience for everyone.

<Jedrezj> on the plus side, if I never come back from the First World, no more interminable phonecalls from Briza.

<Aubrienne> Unless it's like with Raimond, and somehow you get stuck in her dreams.

  • Aubrienne winks, looking a little better than she has since she got in.

<Jedrezj> ahahah don't joke.

<Aubrienne> Can't help it, it's kind of how we make a living.

  • Jedrezj smiles, but then looks a little more serious

<Jedrezj> Maybe we should try to learn more about the... intended destination, first? before we ... do whatever it is we're planning to do?

<Jedrezj> I know some, but it's very academic. and, let's be honest, hazy at this date.

<Aubrienne> I was going to go talk to Gelin, and maybe some of my Vjestaci connections. Plus, Princess Ilphere seemed willing to help, I think.

<Jedrezj> What's she like?

<Aubrienne> In fairness, she seemed mostly interested in an academic sense, but I'll take it.

<Aubrienne> Honestly?

<Jedrezj> sure

<Jedrezj> am I going to be offended? ;)

<Aubrienne> This might seem strange, but fun.

<Jedrezj> heh

<Aubrienne> Like, she's definitely a character, and she's got her interests and seems a little scatterbrained for an otherwise brilliant mind, but I liked her.

<Jedrezj> I'm not a big Imperial-watcher, but she always seemed sort of interesting, as far as people with fancy titles and poofy dresses go.

<Aubrienne> Well, it wasn't poofy dresses for this trip.

<Aubrienne> She seemed to know what she was doing.

  • Jedrezj nods

<Aubrienne> Well, except for the part where she licked poison bark.

<Jedrezj> o_O

<Aubrienne> ;)

<Aubrienne> The forest in the dream.

<Aubrienne> Or, I guess she just licked the sap.

<Aubrienne> Which, you know, in a story of mine from, say, six months ago, would have meant something completely different.

<Jedrezj> heh

<Jedrezj> Maybe she's where Tits gets it from.

<Jedrezj> The fun I mean.

<Jedrezj> Definitely not the boobs.

  • Jedrezj says with a smirk

<Aubrienne> I fully believe those were a gift from the gods.

<Aubrienne> To her, and to us all.

<Jedrezj> heh

<Jedrezj> well, honestly, no one else in her family has ... well. uh. they're just all pretty slim, I mean.

<Aubrienne> Says the person claiming not to be an Imperial watcher.

<Jedrezj> I suppose that's part of why the rumours.

<Jedrezj> Imperial Boob Watching is entirely different.

<Jedrezj> You can't help but notice in official portraits and stuff :p

<Aubrienne> It sounds more regal with Imperial in front of it. Like you're serving the Empire.

<Jedrezj> I like to think I am.

<Aubrienne> We work for her. I quite like to notice in person.

<Jedrezj> I bet ;)

<Aubrienne> So, uh, I may have gotten you into something else, while I'm confessing these things.

<Jedrezj> ...oh?

<Aubrienne> But this, I think you'll like.

<Aubrienne> So, I was talking with Korisse and Hettie the other day, and Korisse is looking to start a new movie soon, and she might have some good parts for us.

<Aubrienne> If you're interested.

<Jedrezj> oh! sure! ... assuming we're available >.>

<Aubrienne> I'll talk to Kori. I don't want to inconvenience her, but I think it was still going to be a bit before she was going to be able to put it together.

  • Jedrezj nods

<Jedrezj> well, it sounds like a great opportunity.

<Jedrezj> I hope we'll live to see it ;)

  • Aubrienne rolls her eyes and give Jed another hug.

<Jedrezj> Do you want me to talk to some folks, see what more I can maybe find out?

<Aubrienne> That's probably a good idea.

<Jedrezj> Okay.

<Jedrezj> Tell me if you think this is a completely stupid idea...

<Aubrienne> This whole thing has felt like...like getting tested on some theory or spell and finding out you studied for the wrong one.

<Aubrienne> Okay?

<Jedrezj> The First World is supposed to be where we - I, us, whatever - come from.

<Jedrezj> And the stabbings, and all that...

<Aubrienne> That is my understanding, yes.

<Aubrienne> Yeah...

<Jedrezj> If all this it has something to do with Shadar-kai, and something to do with the war, I could track down some of the Blackbloods, see if they know anything that might be useful.

<Aubrienne> Yeah, that sounds like it could be very useful.

<Aubrienne> I'm happy for all the help I can get right now.

<Jedrezj> Okay. I'll see who I can ... get some information out of.

  • Aubrienne smirks.

<Jedrezj> pump, if you will.

<Aubrienne> Damn, beat me to it.

<Aubrienne> :p

<Jedrezj> That's what he said.

  • Aubrienne laughs.

<Aubrienne> Seriously, I really appreciate this.

<Aubrienne> I really can't tell you how much.

<Jedrezj> Hey... we've got each other's backs

<Aubrienne> I'm terrified, for oh so many reasons, but I feel better knowing you'll help.

  • Jedrezj nods

<Jedrezj> Maybe I should try and learn some spells that kill things, huh?

<Aubrienne> Yeah, I'd been thinking of getting a few new ones, especially if I can wheedle them out of Gelin.

<Aubrienne> And Hettie and Kori taught me how to shoot! :D

  • Aubrienne says very proudly.

<Jedrezj> well then - we're gonna be fine!

<Aubrienne> You joke, but...

<Aubrienne> I'm going to get Jean-Faust back.

<Jedrezj> All right.

<Aubrienne> I...I'm not sure I've felt like this about something.

<Aubrienne> It's kind of scary.

  • Jedrezj nods

<Jedrezj> You're telling me.

<Aubrienne> ...

<Aubrienne> Want to get really blitzed after work?

<Jedrezj> Yes. Absolutely.

<Aubrienne> So, we have plans both long- and short-term.

<Jedrezj> Completely and utterly foolproof plans.

  • Aubrienne will reach over to grab her bottle and raise it towards Jed

<Aubrienne> Friends and family, and no distinction between.

  • Jedrezj will drink to that

Zola chats with Geff about his wedding

  • Zola will show up a little early the day she lunched with Valeen and try to catch him in the office
  • Zola will slip in and shut the door behind her
  • Geffrard looks up as you enter

<Zola> Geff! :D

<Geffrard> Hello, Zola. What can I do for you?

<Zola> Valeen tells me your good news :D

  • Zola is all smiles, and almost wiggly with excitement
  • Zola rushes over

<Geffrard> Oh, heh.

<Zola> Congratulations!

<Geffrard> Thank you.

  • Zola gives him a hug where he sits
  • Geffrard hugs back a bit awkwardly

<Zola> I'm going to talk to Tits tonight to see about holding things here... and then it's just about finding a date, right? :D

<Geffrard> I guess so. It all seems to be falling into place so quickly.

<Zola> Big days will do that to you!

<Zola> I'm also thrilled to sing for you both :D

<Geffrard> I'm sure it'll be lovely - thank you :)

<Zola> Did you have any songs you were looking forward to hear in particular? Or shall I pick?

<Geffrard> Oh... I trust your taste. I liked that one you've been singing lately... I'm not sure of the name though.

  • Zola sings a bit of Waiting for You which she might be singing more of because of Klara?

<Geffrard> Yes, that's the one :)

<Zola> :D

<Zola> Very romantic ^_^

<Zola> If you think of anything, or if your lucky fellow does, let me know!

<Geffrard> All right, I will.

<Geffrard> I'm not certain who all to invite...

<Zola> Who would you LIKE to invite?

<Geffrard> Well, I think we probably want to keep it fairly small.

<Geffrard> I did ask Haft if he would be my best man.

<Zola> Awww ^_^

<Zola> Well I'm sure Tits would love to come see you on your important day!

  • Geffrard nods

<Zola> Is there anyone else you'd miss?

<Geffrard> Well, probably I'd ask the rest of the security staff.

<Geffrard> Wouldn't want them to feel left out ;)

<Zola> (Do I recall him being social or friendly with anyone else on staff, in particular?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (Jaspart, maybe a bit with Valerien)

<Zola> What about Jaspart? Valerien?

  • Geffrard nods

<Geffrard> That's a good point, yes.

<Geffrard> And Neva - since we want good drinks ;)

<Zola> :D

<Zola> Did you want any other music? I'm pretty good on the piano, but anything else I'm not very experienced with.

<Geffrard> Well, what would you prefer as an accompaniment?

<Zola> Oh, the piano would be fine... but I'll let you know if I think of something :)

<Zola> Do you need help with anything else?

  • Geffrard considers

<Geffrard> I might benefit from someone to come with me and help pick out a suit. But maybe that's not your line ;)

<Zola> I have an eye for style! But perhaps Hugo would be even better?? Though he'll insist you wear a scarf :D

<Geffrard> I can probably fend off a scarf.

  • Geffrard says dryly

<Zola> He likes ones you can pull off with flair anyhow, so even if you get entangled you can pull it off when his back is turned.

<Zola> Does Osmyn have good fashion sense? We could make it an event!

<Geffrard> Well, I'd say he's quite traditional.

<Geffrard> He prefers Psyrene clothing but it's not really politic to wear that at the moment, so he goes for older Aveyronnais styles instead.

<Zola> Hmm, well, it sounds like he'll have things in hand then?

<Zola> It might be hard to find either in the city :)

<Geffrard> He'll probably go to a tailor and have something made that he likes.

<Geffrard> He always has to have things taken in anyway, might as well start from scratch.

<Zola> You should bring him by some night for us to meet him :D

<Zola> I'll be discreet, I promise!

<Geffrard> All right.

  • Zola grins wider

<Geffrard> I'll try to bring him on a quieter night, he doesn't like large crowds very much.

<Zola> And if you need anything else, let me know! I'm right here, after all!

<Geffrard> Well... I appreciate it.

<Geffrard> I didn't know you'd be this excited about it, or I'd have said something earlier :)

<Zola> I don't sing all those songs about love just for the audience, dear. I just adore weddings _

<Geffrard> Well, if you have a special someone, I guess your friend Valeen would be happy to do the honours. Assuming she doesn't get sacked after this one...

<Zola> Oh, I'll need her someday, sacked or not :D

<Geffrard> I appreciate that she's willing to take this risk for us, when she barely knows us.

<Zola> It's the right thing for a servant of Cat to do!

<Geffrard> That's what she said too.

<Geffrard> But I'm not sure the entire Order feels that way.

<Zola> Well, I've got her back if things get rocky. :)

<Geffrard> That's good.

<Geffrard> Osmyn was the one who really wanted this... I would have been happy to keep on living together without all this official business.

<Geffrard> But he says that in Psyra, they used to have weddings, or something similar anyway, for two men, or two women.

<Zola> I thought that might be the case. Otherwise you'd surely have already picked out a favourite song to request :D

  • Geffrard smiles slightly at that

<Geffrard> I just feel like I'm so fortunate to have found him, despite everything... Asking for more seems greedy.

<Zola> I barely know anything about Psyra, but I'm beginning to think I should learn some more... first satyrs, and now marrying men :D

<Zola> Awww

  • Zola is stricken with the adorableness

<Geffrard> They certainly have more... liberal attitudes about certain subjects.

<Zola> Maybe the rest of the Empire'll pick them up in time :)

<Geffrard> Well, it might not hurt if they want Psyra to stay.

<Geffrard> Otherwise I have a feeling we - or not us, but a younger generation - are going to be right back there, fighting the same stupid fights over again.

<Zola> :(

<Zola> Well, let's hope we give them more reasons to stay

  • Geffrard nods

<Zola> Alright, I need to go get ready...

<Zola> Up, up! *she gestures for him to stand*

<Geffrard> Thank you for stopping by.

  • Geffrard stands
  • Zola gives him a proper hug, with a big of a wiggle at the end.
  • Geffrard hugs back

<Zola> I'm happy for you :)

<Geffrard> Thanks.

<Geffrard> I just hope it'll all go smoothly.

<Geffrard> No blood magic summonings would be swell.

<Zola> WE can put Hugo on security while your folk are all in attendance, and he can run diversion :)

  • Zola opens the door of the security office and pops out, with a final wave before she disappears.

Lathra learns something of the depths of Gen's issues

  • Genevriel approaches Lathra early one evening at work in the second week of First-month. She looks unwell.
  • Lathra is checking her medical supplies in preparation for eventualities at the performance

<Genevriel> Mme. Scales, may I speak with you?

<Lathra> Of course, Gen dear - oh my, are you feeling alright?

  • Genevriel nods, then shakes her head, and closes the door to the infirmary room behind her.
  • Lathra pats a space on the storage box beside her
  • Genevriel takes the offered seat but leaves several inches of personal space between us, if possible.
  • Lathra makes a little more room

<Genevriel> Something happened last night, only I don't remember what.

<Genevriel> I think I tried to cut my arms off.

<Lathra> Is... that a local expression?

  • Genevriel glances at you, a little confused in spite of her obvious distress.

<Genevriel> No- I literally tried to cut my arms off. I think.

<Genevriel> I woke up this morning, and my arm had a deep wound. There was a knife on the floor next to me, covered in blood.

<Lathra> My word!

<Genevriel> I healed it, but it should never have happened in the first place!

  • Genevriel bursts into tears.

<Lathra> Have you been feeling... suicidal at all? Or had any other blackouts?

  • Lathra puts a hand gently on Gen's shoulder, ready to withdraw it if she seems uncomfortable.
  • Genevriel seems okay with it, but it's always good to be cautious with Gen, it's true. ^-^

<Lathra> (Lathra has been learning this)

<Genevriel> I... no. Yes. Sometimes. I wish I were dead often. But taking my own life-

  • Genevriel chokes a little, horrified by the thought.

<Genevriel> It's wrong. Life is sacred, all life, even mine.

  • Genevriel is having trouble breathing through her sobs.

<Lathra> Well now, I should very much like to hear from you some time, when you're ready, about what it is that makes your life so unbearable? But unless you're ready for that tonight, would you be willing to consider keeping more constant company? I have no idea what compelled you to harm yourself, and it seems like you don't remember, but I'm definitely concerned for your safety.

<Genevriel> I- my arms- the One.

<Genevriel> I hate my arms, I hate the One. "We are all one," all the time, in my bones, in my blood.

<Lathra> You hear a voice... in your arms?

  • Genevriel shakes her head.

<Genevriel> In my head, but always, especially when I'm alone, ever since it marked my arms.

<Lathra> Take your time dear, I'm here to listen.

<Lathra> What is the One?

  • Genevriel struggles to pull herself together, because she can hear herself and she sounds crazy.

<Genevriel> The One is... I don't really know. Except that I'm part of it, and it's part of me.

<Genevriel> I've heard it since I healed that boy in the war.

<Lathra> And it was at that time that it... marked your arms?

  • Genevriel nods.

<Lathra> (I don't *think* Gen has shown Lathra her burns?)

<Genevriel> (Nope, nobody has seen them in game yet)

<Lathra> Who was the boy?

<Genevriel> A Psyrene. A rebel... they had guns.

<Genevriel> But he looked so much like my brother...

<Genevriel> And I'd taken so many- so many lives already. I couldn't do it anymore.

  • Lathra listens

<Genevriel> Every life I took... it didn't make a difference. My family will never come back. I never thought they would, but I couldn't just- just pretend they never died, either. I had to do something. So I joined the army.

<Genevriel> I was so- so angry!

<Genevriel> But every life I took - it didn't make me feel any better.

<Genevriel> I was only hurting myself. We are all One.

  • Lathra nods
  • Genevriel draws her hand across her eyes, distraught.
  • Genevriel realizes she just told you a lot more than she had intended.
  • Genevriel takes a deep breath.

<Genevriel> Vengeance is a bad reason for going to war.

<Lathra> Vengeance is a bad reason for doing most things dear, but it's a natural one.

  • Genevriel agrees. "It's a bad reason for anything. It really does only hurt you. And the bitter truth is that probably none of the rebels I killed were the ones who killed my family."

<Lathra> That's very likely true - and it's quite possible that they died at the hands of other soldiers in another place, for other reasons.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Lathra> And so seeing this boy - it brought you away from the need for vengeance, made you reconsider your actions?

<Genevriel> I'd already helped herd the boy and the people he was with into the farmhouse, and it was already burning. But I'd had enough, so I went in after them.

<Genevriel> All of them, but I only found two. The rest were already dead. The adult died, I think, as I was carrying her out. But the boy was still breathing, so I prayed to the stars to heal him. As if that could possibly make up for everyone else whose lives I had already ended!

  • Genevriel cries bitterly.

<Genevriel> The One answered, and that's how I can heal.

<Genevriel> But it marked me, too. And I hear it all the time.

<Genevriel> I was able to ignore it when I was at Dorien's, but now I'm back at my boarding house and it's ever so quiet in my room.

<Genevriel> I remember drinking and drinking to try to drown out the voices, and then I woke up this morning like I said.

<Lathra> Thank you for sharing these things with me, Genevriel. It must be so hard.

  • Genevriel nods somewhat absently, huddled and miserable.

<Lathra> May I put out some ideas to consider, things that only you can decide the truth of? Just things to think over - you may well have considered them already.

  • Genevriel shrugs, listless.

<Lathra> It's not an exam, you don't have to respond to them.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Lathra> Firstly, I am struck by this feeling you describe that you especially hate yourself for the things that you did in the war - when every soldier could say the same. It's certainly natural to abhor the actions that you're asked to take, and I understand your dislike of the motivations that drove you, but you were serving your country, and there are others that bear the same burden.

  • Genevriel cries quietly.

<Genevriel> (So that she can hear what else you might have to say, it seems.)

<Lathra> And secondly, while I think anybody would resent the constant voice you describe, I wonder if some of the hatred you feel towards this "One" entity is not a projection - "the One" feels like a punitive force in your life, the punishment you called for, for the sins you bear - and while I don't have any real experience with any such entity, it bears a striking resemblance to the sort of structures people put in place to punish themselves for guilt. Perhaps it is your own forgiveness that it awaits?

<Genevriel> ...

<Lathra> And finally - this is all much more serious that I'd realized. This is no simple substance addiction - the underlying conditions are horrific, and we can consider your drinking as much medication as addiction. I think we should seek expert help - I think that you deserve treatment and support, to give you the conditions that you need to heal.

<Lathra> And in the mean time, as I offered before, if you need people around you, you are more than welcome to room with me to avoid being alone for prolonged periods.

<Lathra> If not me, then I think you should make other arrangements to have support and company when you need it.

  • Genevriel cries harder.

<Genevriel> What kind of person can help, if not a priest?

<Lathra> Well dear, I certainly can try, but I may be able to find other priests who understand your condition better, or somebody who knows more about "the One".

<Genevriel> I've been trying.

<Genevriel> M. Orecalo said he'd look into it for me, in case it's some old Psyrene god, but he's never gotten back to me.

<Lathra> I'm sure he hasn't forgotten.

<Genevriel> And Channel Sylvia and her husband Sirris seemed to recognize the name, but then they told me it was probably all just my own interpretation.

<Genevriel> Which is possible, I'll grant, but it doesn't help me figure out what all the voices are *saying*.

<Lathra> Do they speak to you in another language?

<Genevriel> It sounds like it is - it doesn't seem random enough to be just gibberish or background noise.

<Genevriel> But I don't know.

<Genevriel> The only four words I understand are "We are all One."

<Lathra> Would you be able to repeat or transcribe the messages? I could try a simple comprehend languages spell to see if we can determine the basic meaning?

<Lathra> That's how I found out what the wind was whispering in those trees...

<Genevriel> (That's a question for Julia, I think, if she feels up to answering!)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you could certainly try to transcribe it)

<Genevriel> (or even just repeat what it sounds like i suppose)

<Lathra> (I'm thinking repeating the sounds would be more likely to be successful, since that'd be easier than getting the spelling right)

<Genevriel> (Exactly)

<DiablotinNarrator> (either way, as long as I don't need to provide a translation tonight ;)

<Genevriel> (hee)

<Lathra> (No, I think I'll be writing an email to you both!)

  • Genevriel will try to remember some of the sounds she hears and speak them for you. Maybe she has trouble because she's so distraught, which is a plausible reason for Lathra not being able to make sense of them tonight (/Julia not being prepared to provide a translation tonight. ;) )

<Genevriel> I'm sorry...

<Genevriel> There are so many, it's hard to separate them out. I will try to remember them better so we can try another time.

<Lathra> Yes, and we can try just sitting together quietly and waiting to see what you hear, if you like.

  • Genevriel nods. She is plainly quite desperate to figure out what has happened to her.

<Lathra> Anyway, for now - would you like to have dinner together? You can stay the night, it'd make me feel better for you. I keep a cot set up for patron emergencies, so it's no bother.

<Genevriel> (We're at the Cabaret and have a whole shift ahead of us still, I think.)

<Lathra> (Yeah, I was meaning after work)

<Genevriel> ...

<Genevriel> All right.

<Genevriel> I think I'll feel better with you, too.

<Lathra> Oh I do hope so!

  • Genevriel will try to change the subject once that's settled by showing you her notebook in which she has been keeping track of drinks. In your professional opinion, you might find she drinks dangerously high quantities of alcohol. Probably headed towards cirrhosis if she continues like this.

<Genevriel> (But we probably need to get to work!  ;) )

<Lathra> (Lathra is probably willfully unaware of the dangers of cirrhosis, but given everything you just told her would be 1. proud of you for keeping track and 2. secretly amazed that you've managed to use alcohol abuse to make the trauma and hounding by voices manageable)

<Genevriel> (awww)

<Genevriel> (To be fair, she lost track last night... the tally marks grow progressively less controlled  ;) )

Denise asks Ander if there is any way to help the poor with fey attacks

  • Denise is happy to bring things up in a quiet moment at the club
  • Ander can spare time for you between meetings, certainly

<Denise> hey boss - maybe this is kind of a dumb question....

<Ander> oh?

<Denise> but, like - are we, or maybe could we, do anything to help folk in our neghborhoods from being messed with by the fae?

<Ander> hmm

<Ander> Like what sort of thing?

<Denise> well, I dunno... anything, realy

<Denise> but like

<Denise> people to watch out for the ordinary folks

<Ander> Like patrols?

<Denise> maybe?

<Denise> I dunno

  • Ander considers

<Denise> You're the Captain. Or, well, you were :3

<Ander> Well, if someone gets hurt, or their stuff gets smashed up, we can help 'em. Stoppin' it before it starts, that's harder. Seems like these fey whatever they are can be pretty sneaky.

<Denise> :/

<Ander> But you know, it might not be a bad idea to get some of the vets or interested folk to do some patrols

<Denise> I just figured, like..... there's lots of other folk back from the wat, an stuff...

<Denise> yeah

<Ander> Ain't like the guard is gonna be doin' it, not in our part of town anyway

<Denise> I know there's some rough stuff out there >.>

  • Ander nods

<Ander> I'll ask around, see if we could get some volunteers

<Denise> but we know some more about 'em now

<Denise> liek about the cold iron

<Ander> If people are willin' to give it a try, ain't no harm in that.

<Denise> an' maybe the channels woyld help too - seems like they know more about the fey

<Ander> An' maybe it helps - or at least, maybe folks feel a bit safer.

  • Denise nods

<Ander> That's a good thought too, yeah.

<Ander> Your brother's one of 'em, right?

<Denise> Well, I'm willin' to help - like, when I'm not needed fo other stuff, anyway..

<Denise> oh yeah

<Ander> Maybe you could see if he knows any folks who'd like to help out, or can give any advice at least

<Denise> I can ask

  • Ander nods

<Denise> he's just still in trainin... I think

<Denise> But I think they do lots and ;lots of training >.>

  • Denise is under the impression that it will take a few years, anyway >.>

<Ander> well, even if he can point us to some others who might be willin' to help

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> I'll talk to 'em

<Ander> that'd be swell

<Denise> Argent said he'd help

<Ander> yeah? he's a good fella, seems like.

<Denise> yeah...

<Denise> he wants to help folks

  • Ander nods

<Denise> Enver'd help too - it was kind of his idea, really

<Ander> well, we'd be glad to have 'em along, if this gets off the ground

  • Denise grins

<Ander> I got a question for you, while we're at it

<Denise> oh?

<Ander> You got an uncle who's in the newspaper biz, right?

<Denise> yup! That's Alain

<Ander> D'you suppose he'd be interested in givin' some help to startin' up a local newspaper, like for our part of town?

<Ander> I don't expect him to leave a good job or nothin', but even some advice would be great

<Denise> I dunno - I could ask, I guess, but, like, who'm I askin' for?

<Ander> Well, for now, just for me.

<Denise> okay

<Ander> I ain't got some kind of official backing or nothin'

<Ander> I just wanna get a sense of like... what sorta equipment we'd need, how much it might likely cost, that sorta thing

<Denise> okay

<Denise> I can do that - prolly I should go check on 'im more anyway

<Ander> thanks, Dee :)

<Denise> No problem, boss :)

<Ander> How's everythin' else goin' for you?

<Denise> okay....

<Denise> well

<Denise> I went with Aunt hettie to check out that scientist guy you put her on to

<Ander> oh yeah?

<Denise> but we got there an the place had been all cleared out1 There was a couple of like.... not warforged, 'cause they weren't like.... whatever makes Warforged like people. They weren't liek that. not thinky.

<Denise> and there was bunches of beds all over the place like a bunch of folks had been stayin' there

<Denise> but there weren't much else

<Denise> Someone else had been in and grabbed a bunch of papers

<Ander> so he weren't there?

<Denise> we got a few things - Aunt hettie's been' tryin to see if there's any thing good in 'em

<Denise> yrah, no one was there.

<Ander> huh

<Denise> like

<Denise> there was lost of snow all around an no one had been there

<Ander> seemed like there'd been a fight or what?

<Denise> nope, nothin'

<Denise> 'cept that it looked like someone had come got that stuff, like I said

<Ander> weird

<Denise> btu they didn't have to deal with the.... metal not-people

<Ander> So someone that was, ah, allowed to be there? didn't twig their defenses or whatnot?

<Denise> or mayb they were just sneakier >.>

<Denise> I dunno

  • Ander nods

<Denise> Seemed liek they knew right where to go, I guess

<Denise> ...

<Denise> maybe it was Aigel

<Ander> That could sure be.

<Ander> Him an' his sneaky little girlfriend.

<Denise> hmmm

<Denise> I'll run that by Aunt Hettie

<Ander> A'right. I'll keep my ear to the ground for any other word about him, or about this Molniere fella, if he's still around.

<Denise> thanks again :3

<Denise> ...

<Denise> How are the rats doin'?

<Ander> Ah, they're doin' good :)

  • Denise asks "randomly"

<Ander> We named 'em...

<Denise> oh yeah? :D

<Ander> yeah. Prince an' Killer. Ralf picked Killer ;)

<Denise> yeah I bet ^-^

<Ander> that's the shy one

  • Denise nods

<Denise> he still all scaredy?

<Ander> he's been warmin' up a bit

<Ander> he'll come an' steal food out of your hand if he thinks maybe you ain't lookin' ;)

<Denise> yeah - Mickey says the more you handle 'im when he's still little the better, but he might not ever be as friendly as, uhm, Prince

<Denise> heh

<Ander> Ralf got him out an' let him just set on his lap a bit yesterday.

<Denise> awwww

<Ander> Killer pissed on him a bit, but didn't bite or run away anyway ;p

<Denise> heh

<Denise> yeah, i guess the boy's'll do that some

<Denise> Vir doens't, though >.>

<Denise> I dunno if you can make 'em stop

<Ander> Ralf thought he might just be nervous

<Ander> but I dunno

<Denise> maybe

<Ander> They're real cute, anyway

  • Denise smiles

<Ander> they snuggle up together when they sleep :3

<Denise> awwww - yeah they did that some when we were lookin' after 'em

<Ander> :)

<Denise> I'm glad they're workin out for ya, though :3

<Ander> yeah, they're great. Best present I ever got.

  • Denise grins

<Denise> . o O (Good job, Ralf ^-^)


Denise asks Alain for help in setting up a neighbourhood newspaper

  • Denise will go by her youngest uncle's place with some baked goods she knows he likes, in the late afternoon
  • Alain opens the door for you

<Alain> Hi there, kiddo :)

<Denise> Hi Alain!

<Denise> how's it goin'?

<Alain> Busy, like usual

<Alain> C'mon in

  • Denise wanders in and looks around

<Denise> busy with work stuff?

  • Alain 's place is a bit on the messy side, like he doesn't have time to tidy much rather than actively filthy or anything

<Alain> Yeah. All this weird fey stuff, they can't get enough of stories about that. "I saw a pixie in my garden and he stole my laundry" sort of crap.

<Denise> well, it ain't all crap >.>

<Alain> well... no, I'm sure it's not. But some of it is just folks wantin' to jump on the bandwagon.

<Denise> they shouldn't be so keen

<Denise> even them little ones are dangerous

<Denise> and there's other things out there what are worse.

<Alain> yeah?

<Alain> You got a story you wanna pitch? :)

<Denise> uhh.

  • Denise looks a bit like a deer caught in headlights
  • Alain smiles

<Alain> hey - relax, I'm teasin'.

<Denise> I ain't thought about it. Plus there ain' no need to get folks more scared 'n they are >.>

<Denise> yeah, well, I ain' no good with words, you know that :p

<Alain> it's okay.

<Alain> How're you doin'?

<Denise> well... other than fey stuff, I'm okay

<Denise> workin', you know

<Denise> helpin' Aunt Hettie with some stuff for Serges Yves

<Alain> yeah?

<Denise> plus, like, I got that boy still :3

<Alain> aw, that's great :)

  • Denise assumes she talked to him some on rat Day

<Denise> (though that may have been a rough spot - first Holiday after the war, when people who didn't come back are extra noticed :( )

<Alain> (*nod*)

<Denise> yeha :)

<Denise> anyway, I brought you some stuff

  • Denise passes over the basket

<Alain> ah, you didn't have to... that's real nice, thanks.

  • Alain accepts the basket and picks out a muffin to nibble on

<Denise> well, like, somene's gotta make sure you're gettin' some real food

<Alain> heh

<Alain> thanks

  • Denise grins

<Denise> Though, um... I did have somethin' i wanted to ask you about

<Alain> oh? what's up?

<Denise> well, it ain't for me. But Ander was lookin' for someone who he could maybe talk to about what you need for settin' up a newspaper

<Denise> a local thing, you know?

<Alain> like a neighbourhood paper?

<Denise> yeah, I think?

<Denise> for our folk, prolly

<Alain> Well, I ain't in the production side of things, but I guess I could give him some advice on gettin' started.

<Denise> I think he just want to know what all it would take

  • Denise nods

<Denise> that's be real keen :D

<Alain> no problem

<Alain> Where should I meet up with him? And when?

<Denise> Prolly just some night you can sgtop in at the club?

<Denise> Lots of fey shit goin' on there too, really, maybe' you'll catch a scoop ;p

<Alain> heh

<Alain> well, all right, I'll drop by sometime

<Denise> great!

<Denise> Aunt hettie'd be really pleased to see you there too ^-^

<Alain> sounds good

<Alain> And like you said, maybe I'll get some good leads too

<Denise> maybe she could get you behind the scenes some ^-^

  • Alain nods

<Alain> Like back in the dressing rooms? ;)

<Denise> maybe ^-^

<Denise> You'd have to ask her 'bout all that

<Alain> well, we'll see how it goes

<Denise> yeah

<Denise> at least you work for a real paper, not just the scourge - they always got fgolks hangin' around

<Alain> yeah...

<Denise> so, um...

<Denise> there was somethin' else I was gonna ask....

<Alain> oh?

<Denise> yeah :/

<Denise> 've you still got any of Georges old clothes an' the like?

<Alain> oh, uh...

<Alain> yeah, some.

<Alain> why?

<Denise> Just.... with it bein' so cold right now an all, I know some folks who coudl maybe use some extra.

  • Denise says, thinking of Swyny

<Alain> oh...

<Denise> If you were keep it 'cause of like.... jsut because, that's okay though

  • Alain looks resolved

<Alain> It ain't like he's gonna need it. I can give you some stuff.

<Denise> okay. thanks.

  • Denise will give her uncle a big hug
  • Alain hugs you back

<Alain> you want me to put a bag together?\

<Denise> sure - I can help if you want, or, if you just want me to come back later I can do that too

<Alain> I... I'd rather do it myself.

  • Denise isn't sure if he would want to be alone or not to go through Georges stuff

<Denise> okay.

<Denise> you jus' lemme know, then

  • Alain nods
  • Denise will give him another hug, and we can maybe talk about some more mundane stuff for a bit
  • Alain is glad to do that


Zola visits Vernel for a fashion consultation

  • Zola wonders how to dress @_@
  • Zola supposes she'd have asked Vernel when he stopped by at first if he wanted her to bring examples of the sorts of things she wears on stage

<Vernel> (he'd say no - doesn't want to be influenced ;)

  • Zola ends up in a lime green chiffon pouf
  • Vernel will welcome you into his atelier
  • Zola dresses casually in a skirt and cardigan in case there's disrobing required, and cabs to his shop.

<Zola> Good afternoon, M. Nicandor.

<Vernel> Ah, Mlle. Zola, lovely to see you again.

<Zola> And you!

  • Zola is a little excited :3
  • Vernel will flit about, helping you off with your coat
  • Zola lets him take it and watches him bustle about.

<Vernel> So tell me - what are you hoping for today?

<Vernel> not that I guarantee you'll get it, hah!

<Zola> You mean, what style of garment? I don't know, I'm excited to hear what your ideas are!

<Vernel> Well - something for everyday wear, or for performing?

<Zola> Oh, I was thinking something for performing, to show off! But it's not as easy to slip into conversation who the designer is when you're on the stage.

  • Vernel looks pleased

<Zola> Of course I am on stage more nights than I am at dinner parties :)

  • Vernel chuckles

<Zola> That does seem like the more practical thing to ask of you...

<Vernel> Does your performance involve much dancing, for instance? how... mobile do you need to be?

<Zola> And you can be more adventurous with something for the stage :)

<Zola> Oh, there's certainly always a bit of dancing, it depends on my mood, I suppose.

<Zola> Some days it's just...

  • Zola dances a bit in place like she might during a performance, to give him an idea of how her legs move

<Zola> A more energetic night, well...

  • Zola gives him a taste of that as well.
  • Vernel applauds, smiling

<Vernel> Now, I imagine with your colouring, you wear a good deal of black and red, perhaps some white?

<Zola> But I have a fairly well stocked wardrobe, so if what you create isn't as versatile for movement, I have other options for those days :)

<Zola> Yes, black and red, and a fair bit of gold. Less often white...

<Zola> Not that I've anything against it, really.

  • Vernel nods

<Vernel> And of course you want to catch the light on stage.

<Zola> Yes! There tend to be sequins, beads, metal threads.

  • Zola describes a few of her current performing outfits

<Zola> Some of them start out as quite simple garments until our costume department get ahold of them :)

  • Vernel sort of half-listens as he goes about pulling out some bolts of fabric

<Zola> Our seamstress Hettie does a fabulous job!

<Vernel> oh, no doubt, with whatever limited resources she has

  • Vernel says, considering some silk before putting it back and drawing out another instead

<Zola> And on demand, in a rush!

  • Vernel nods

<Zola> Perhaps you should come by the Cabaret some more flashy night and see the costumes on parade :)

<Vernel> Perhaps so

  • Zola detects no overabundance of eagerness
  • Zola looks on as Vernel rustles through his materials
  • Vernel is sort of distracted by his pondering
  • Vernel will eventually bring over several different fabrics in order to hold them up against your skin and see what they look like
  • Zola complies with any angling and positioning he requires
  • Vernel seems satisfied with a dark, glistening coppery silk

<Zola> I have a wig or two that would suit that nicely :)

  • Vernel nods

<Vernel> Now... we want to de-emphasize the shoulders, hmm, and give a little more oomph to the hips perhaps?

<Zola> I do have some undergarments that help with that...

<Vernel> Every little bit helps :)

  • Zola nods.

<Zola> Showbiz is all such a sham, when you think about it :)

<Vernel> It's an illusion. A beautiful one, sometimes.

  • Zola chuckles... "That's just the academic word for sham"

<Zola> It's all sorts of fun though :)

  • Vernel will get out his tape measure and begin taking your measurements, having apparently settled on a fabric
  • Zola resumes a compliant posture for the fitting.

<Zola> So, how long have you had your shop in the city?

<Vernel> Goodness, I suppose about four, five years now?

  • Zola does try not to ask at a time that'll make him forget a number, but she is a little too prone to chatter to be completely silent.

<Zola> It's quite an exciting city. I came from Ariège about ten years ago myself.

<Vernel> You must have been quite a young girl then

<Zola> Not quite so young, nearly of age!

<Zola> It was a big change, but the city has so many more ... options.

<Zola> Where were you before?

<Vernel> Oh, here and there... I never settled too long.

<Zola> Do you think you'll tire of the city someday?

<Vernel> Perhaps. Although I do enjoy having my own space to work in.

<Zola> Where wouldn't you?

<Zola> You'd think it'd be harder in a big city like this, if anything :)

<Vernel> In smaller places, it isn't always possible to find such a suitable studio

<Zola> Ohhh, space, but not the right space.

  • Vernel nods

<Vernel> And one that I can keep as my own

  • Zola wonders at that, it sounding a litle ominous.
  • Zola will eye him a bit
  • Vernel makes notes as he jots down your inseam
  • Zola shifts a little awkwardly

<Vernel> I imagine you have some undergarments to help with that as well.

  • Vernel says without judgment, more as a 'should make a note' kind of way

<Zola> Yes >_>

  • Vernel nods

<Vernel> It's nothing to worry about

  • Zola nods, "I've done well to improvise pre-made dresses from the shops, after all :)"

<Vernel> Yes - do you have to have them altered much?

<Zola> Sometimes... it helps to have a seamstress in your workplace :)

  • Vernel nods

<Vernel> Much better to have one made just for you, though :)

<Zola> Yes :D

  • Zola is so curious about where he's been before

<Vernel> Well - I think I have enough to go from here.

<Vernel> Could you return in a day or two for fittings?

<Zola> Certainly! :D

<Vernel> Excellent

<Vernel> And if you like it, I should have it ready for you in another day or two after that

<Zola> So quickly!

  • Vernel smiles

<Vernel> I work fast.

<Zola> Well, I look forward to seeing it! Thank you!

<Vernel> You're quite welcome

  • Zola gives him an quick and excited little hug when he steps near enough.

<Zola> I'll leave you to things, then :D

  • Vernel hugs back awkwardly, and seems a bit relieved when you let go
  • Zola chides herself a little, but remains upbeat as she whisks out the door

A day or two later...

  • Vernel will welcome you back in a day or two, then

<Vernel> Come in, come in!

  • Vernel says excitedly

<Zola> Hello!

  • Zola ducks in out of the cold and takes off her hat and gloves
  • Vernel will again help you off with your winter coat, and then lead you in to see the creation so far

<Vernel> I think you're going to like it...

<Zola> I'm sure!

  • Vernel 's studio now has at its center a dress something like this, on a dressmaker's form: 17098e2ec6a3d5f68660449a8518fc54.jpg
  • Zola gapes

<Zola> It's �gorgeous

  • Vernel beams
  • Zola reaches out to stroke the material
  • Zola will walk around it to take it all in

<Vernel> well, let's have it on you and then I can see what alterations it might need

  • Zola will look for a spot to set her clothes and then begin to undress
  • Vernel has a little screen with a chair and some hooks on the wall behind it that you can use to disrobe
  • Zola hangs her boob gun beside her cardigan >_>
  • Zola takes a moment to reposition everything

<Zola> All set :)

  • Vernel will help you get into the gown, then
  • Vernel seems supremely indifferent to your boobs, apart from how they fit into the dress ;)
  • Zola steps out and into molten gold @_@
  • Vernel has evidently somehow covered the coppery fabric with all these sequins and so on - it seems like far more work than could have been done by one person in just a few days

<Zola> And you did all this yourself? :o

<Vernel> I work quickly :)

<Zola> Amazing...

<Zola> Is it a kind of magic? or are you simply so quick? :o

<Vernel> Can't it be both? :)

<Zola> It can! It is!

  • Zola makes getting into the dress somewhat more difficult by trying to crane at a mirror while it goes on

<Vernel> hold still now

  • Zola settles down and behaves so as not to tear anything
  • Vernel fastens the back of the dress and will circle around to see how it looks

<Vernel> maybe a few slight adjustments...

  • Vernel places a few pins, careful not to jab you
  • Zola is too captivated by shiny to notice any flaws
  • Vernel seems satisfied at last, and will step back

<Vernel> That should have every eye in the house on you.

<Zola> It will @_@

  • Vernel smiles
  • Zola strikes a few poses in the mirror @_@

<Vernel> You look magnificent.

<Zola> How are you not engaged through the next decade? A dress like this a week!

<Vernel> Perhaps I need the right inspiration.

<Zola> Aww, you flatterer.

<Zola> As if you need to flatter me right now @_@

  • Zola tests out the slit for showing off leg

<Vernel> (it works!)

  • Zola tears herself away from the mirror after not toooo long

<Zola> I suppose I have to take it off again now

<Vernel> Alas, yes.

  • Zola pouts
  • Zola lets him help her out of it

<Vernel> However, the alterations are fairly minor.

<Vernel> You should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

<Zola> Fantastic!

<Zola> Thank you!

<Vernel> You're most welcome.

<Zola> See you tomorrow!

  • Zola will take her leave