Diablotin 3 session 15

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 15 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: May 31, 2015
Diablotin date: 1st of First-month (Rat Day)

Prologue

<DiablotinNarrator> In recognition of your contributions, Titania has given each of you a year-end bonus equivalent to a week's pay.

<DiablotinNarrator> There is also a staff-only party to be held on the First of First month - the club will be closed to the public, and outside musicians and caterers will mean the band and kitchen staff actually get a night off.

<Hettienne> (I forget what my week's pay is :v)

<DiablotinNarrator> (uh... 10gp maybe? I thought you were getting around 40 a month?)

<Hettienne> sure :)

<DiablotinNarrator> The First of First month is also, unofficially, the Festival of Rat. Although not part of the officially-recognized holidays, it has nevertheless been celebrated for many years by the members of House Rat.

<DiablotinNarrator> Typically there are boisterous street parties in Rhenea and the Shambles, and many people take the day off work, whether their employers like it or not.

<DiablotinNarrator> This year, a more formal day of action is also planned - organized strikes in numerous factories and workshops, protests for higher wages and better working conditions.

<DiablotinNarrator> The Mala Tajna are involved in organizing the strikes, and are also hosting a sizeable party near the Cellar.

Denise takes Enver to meet some of her family members

<DiablotinNarrator> Denise, you wanted to go to the party near your family's home first?

<Denise> yes!

  • Enver can meet you there :)
  • Denise will meet around noon, as planned

<Denise> hey :D

<Enver> hi!

  • Denise has a bag with a bunch of presents for various people she hasn't seen yet, like some kind of lady gangster santa claus
  • Enver has a bag of roasted chestnuts he's already found somewhere, and offers you some

<Denise> aww thanks!

  • Denise will give him a hug before taking some though
  • Enver hugs back

<Denise> I got somethin' for you

<Enver> I, uh, have that gift for you too, if you wanted... although your hands are kinda full I guess

<Denise> (shoulder bag ;)

<Enver> (heh, okay :)

  • Enver will reach into his pocket and take out a small box, then.
  • Denise reaches around in her bag for one of the packages
  • Denise smiles a little nervously and will trade

<Enver> Like I said, I dunno if this is really your kind of thing...

  • Enver seems nervous also

<Denise> well, ummm... lets see :D

  • Denise will open it :3

<DiablotinNarrator> Inside is a silver and amber brooch or pin-type clasp

<DiablotinNarrator> (cbr1321_1.jpg ;)

<Denise> oh!

<Denise> it's real pretty, thank you!

<Enver> ... so if you don't like it... oh. okay :)

<Enver> Uh... is it weird if I say I found it while I was workin'?

<Enver> So it's like... old an' stuff. I got it cleaned up of course.

  • Enver adds hurriedly

<Denise> no!

<Denise> I can wear it on my suit an look all fancy :)

  • Enver smiles

<Enver> I thought it'd look nice.

<Enver> I found it an' was sorta hangin' onto it because it was pretty, but I never knew what to do with it.

<Enver> now I know.

  • Denise smiles again

<Enver> Should I open mine now?

<Denise> Anyway, yours is just a little thing, I didn't have lots fo time or nothin, but I though they might be good to have..

<Denise> yeha :)

  • Enver will open the package, then

<Denise> (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vancouver-fog - only a darker green)

<DiablotinNarrator> oh! those are great :)

<DiablotinNarrator> (ww, but I also agree ;)

<Enver> oh! those are great :)

  • Enver will take off his gloves and try them on

<Denise> they

<Denise> (bah)

<Denise> they're wool, so they oughtta wear pretty well

<Enver> they'll be great for when I'm workin'

<Enver> 'cause they're warm, but they don't have fingers so I can still get hold of stuff an' all.

<Denise> yeah, I hoped so :)

<Enver> did you make 'em?

<Denise> yeah...

  • Enver smiles

<Enver> nobody ever made somethin' like that for me :) they're the best.

<Denise> it's sorta a thing, in my family >.>

<Denise> aww :3

  • Enver gives you another hug
  • Denise hugs back

<Denise> okay

  • Denise says after a bit

<Enver> speakin' of your family? ^-^

<Denise> you wanna wander around a bit?

<Denise> yeah

<Enver> yeah, okay

  • Denise will keep hold of his hand and head off, knowing whee traditionally all the stuff worth checking out is to be found

<Enver> (was there anyone specific you wanted to see him introduced to? we probably don't have time to see your whole family, but if you want to focus on one or two, that'd be fine :)

<Enver> (Mikel and Yvie and your mom maybe?)

<Denise> (Definitely mom and Mikel, and Yvie yeah if she is around :3)

  • Mikel_ and your mother can be found at your house - he's got a chair set up for her near the steps, with a blanket for keeping warm

<Mikel_> hey!

  • Mikel_ waves to you as you approach

<Denise> hey! :D

  • Elcina smiles to see you

<Denise> I Mik! Mam!

  • Denise disengages from boy to give them both hugs

<Denise> (hi)

<Elcina> hello, sweetheart :)

<Denise> Um, this is Enver...

<Enver> Hello

  • Enver says, nervous but polite

<Denise> Enver, this is my mam and my brother, Mikel

<Mikel_> It's nice to meet you - Denise says you got all sorts of stories about goin' under the city.

<Enver> Oh, uh, yeah, a few. You prolly do too, though?

<Mikel_> Yeah, some :)

<Elcina> It's very nice to meet you, Enver.

<Denise> how's the party goin'?

  • Enver will shake your mother's offered hand

<Mikel_> Everything's good for now. Yvie's runnin' all around with her friends, but she'll prolly swing by.

<Mikel_> Da went to work :p

<Denise> what!?

  • Mikel_ shrugs

<Denise> >:\

  • Denise sighs

<Mikel_> He promised he'd get home in time for some of the party still.

<Mikel_> but we'll see...

<Denise> yeah.

<Denise> ugh

<Denise> they shouldn't even be open >:|

<Mikel_> you'd think that...

<Denise> it;s like... one more day >:|

<Mikel_> anyway, hey.. I got some hot chocolate in on the stove, you want some?

<Denise> Oh, uh, yeah, that be good!

<Denise> Plus I got presents...

  • Mikel_ grins
  • Denise pats her bag

<Mikel_> Okay, lemme just go in an' grab some mugs for you both, an' whatever presents there might be ;)

  • Denise grins
  • Mikel_ will head into the house

<Elcina> Are you have a fun time?

  • Elcina asks you and Enver

<Enver> Sure thing - this is a real swell party :)

<Denise> yeah :)

  • Yvie runs by with a gang of shrieking little girls, but will stop when she sees you, Denise, and run over to give you a hug.

<Denise> Yvie ! :D

<Yvie> hi!

  • Denise will pick her up, because she can
  • Yvie giggles

<Denise> happy Rat Day!

<Yvie> happy Rat Day :)

<Denise> you guys havin' fun?

  • Denise looks at her pack of friends

<Yvie> yeah! We had a snowball fight with those boys from Apple Court

<Denise> aww yeah? Did you win? :D

<Yvie> 'course :p there's more of us

<Denise> Aww, swell :D

<Denise> here, I got somethin' for you

<Yvie> ooh!

  • Denise reaches into her bag

<Yvie> what is it? :D

<Denise> well, open it and see ^-^

  • Yvie opens it up excitedly

<Denise> (Kitty haaaaat)

<Yvie> (eeee :D)

<Yvie> it's so cuuuute!

<Denise> :D

  • Yvie puts it on
  • Yvie looks adooorable, of course ;)

<Denise> oh good, it does fit :3

<Yvie> yeah, it's good :)

<Denise> it looks great :D

<Elcina> Very pretty :)

<Yvie> I'm gonna go show it to all my friends, an' tell 'em my big sister made it :)

<Denise> :D

<Denise> okay!

  • Yvie gives you another hug before running off to do just that
  • Mikel_ returns with hot chocolate for you and Enver, and a bag with packages in it

<Mikel_> Here you go :)

<Denise> :D

  • Mikel_ hands over the packages first, so you can open them without trying to hold drinks too ;)

<Denise> Here, I'll trade ya

  • Denise passes hers over

<Elcina> Here, I can hold those, dear

  • Elcina will take the drinks so you can exchange your gifts

<Mikel_> thanks :)

  • Denise passe Mikel three packages then

<Denise> that one's your' amd mam's, and da'

  • Mikel_ 's pack for you has two gifts in it - a rather large and bulky one, and something smaller, but ..lumpy?

<Denise> oooh :o

<Denise> shuld I open ;'em now?

<Denise> Can I? :D

<Mikel_> Yeah, sure!

  • Denise will open the bog one first :3

<Denise> (big)

<DiablotinNarrator> It's a sweater!

<Denise> :D

  • Denise snuggles it

<DiablotinNarrator> blue, with some white pattern at the yoke

<Elcina> I hope it'll fit you, dear. If it doesn't, you just let me know.

<Denise> Aww, it's great, mam!

  • Denise gives her annother hug

<Denise> (careful of the drinks)

  • Elcina smiles

<Mikel_> The other one's from me an' Romain

<Denise> oh yeah?

  • Denise will pull it out then and open it

<DiablotinNarrator> It's a bag of little oranges :)

  • Denise pokes it a bit first to see if she can guess what it is

<Denise> oooooh!

<Mikel_> those ones are really good - we had a couple to test 'em out ;)

<Denise> thanks :D

<Denise> they look real good!

<Mikel_> enjoy :)

  • Denise gives him a hug
  • Mikel_ hugs back

<Denise> nd give one to Romain, too

<Mikel_> okay :)

  • Mikel_ will give you both your hot chocolate, then, and you can chat some more before you have to head off :)

<Denise> (will do!)

<DiablotinNarrator> (For the record, Ander and Ralf have presents for you too ;)

<Denise> (yay!)

<DiablotinNarrator> (I can tell you them now, or we can do it as a solo at some point - if you wanna see adorable rattes ;)

<Denise> (I doooo!)

<DiablotinNarrator> (somehow I knew that would be the answer ;)

<Denise> (twist my arm ;)

Aubrienne and Lathra receive Xandhil's report on fey

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - next I need Aubrienne and Lathra, for a briefing at Xan's before the party :)

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - Lathra and Aubrienne, Xandhil will give you a call to let you know he has finished up his research for the time being (unless you want to pay more, presumably) and has some news for you

  • Lathra arrives excited
  • Aubrienne will do likewise
  • Xandhil will be waiting for you at his office

<Xandhil> Thanks for coming.

<Lathra> Not at all! I'm grateful!

  • Xandhil has Leiris get you something to drink ;)

<Aubrienne> Of course, and thank you again for your help.

<Xandhil> Well, it was quite an interesting matter to look into.

<Aubrienne> Thank you as well (to Leiris)

<Leiris> It was no problem. This time I didn't have to leave the city, at least :)

<Xandhil> I realize this is likely to be a long story - so feel free to interrupt if you have questions.

<Lathra> In that case might I trouble you for a cup of tea?

  • Leiris is helpfully there with tea and coffee :)

<Lathra> Thank you, dear.

  • Leiris will linger around because, uh, he can ;)

<Xandhil> I'll try to start at the beginning.

<Xandhil> The First World is a plane of existence, the ancestral home of the elven races (including the Shadar-kai) and currently ruled by the fey. Fey creatures can exist on our plane, but the First World is their true home.

<Xandhil> Some fey creatures that live here may have been exiled or cast out from their original home, for reasons unknown to us.

<Xandhil> Some elves, particularly the Austvagoy in the north, believe that their dead return there and exist as ancestral spirits whom they can contact. This may also be true of fey creatures, although we don't know enough about them to be sure.

<Xandhil> I believe that the Austvagoy are correct, at least in some sense. I've visited the First World once, with the aid of one of their shamans, and met with some of these ancestors, who spoke of the Court of Stars.

  • Xandhil realizes this is going to go off into a tangent >.>
  • Lathra sips tea

<Xandhil> The Court of Stars is... difficult to grasp, but as I understand it, it refers to the home of the gods. I don't know if it's a physical plane - if so, it's not one that we can reach, at any rate - or more of a metaphysical location. It was previously populated by the beings we call angels.

<Xandhil> When Serpent was imprisoned - what they call the Binding - and the gods of the Wheel came to power, the angels were destroyed. Well, many of them. Some escaped and survived by taking on other natures. Some became demons. Some became what are called in Psyra the djinn. Some, I suspect, may have become fey.

<Lathra> And... some human?

<Xandhil> I'm not sure.

<Xandhil> To be clear, all of these entities existed before - not all of them used to be angels. But each group, and possibly others we're not aware of, may harbour some of these refugees.

<Aubrienne> Is there any difference between the original creatures and these, ah, immigrants?

<Xandhil> I think their long life spans may preclude them seeming human, but I'm not certain.

  • Xandhil turns to Aubrienne

<Xandhil> Possibly. Their powers may vary somewhat, for instance, and as far as I know they retain their memories of what they were before. But in order to blend in, they had to truly become whatever they were attempting to imitate, if that makes sense.

<Xandhil> If you were to cast a spell on them that depended on the type of creature they were, they would appear in all respects as their new form.

<Aubrienne> Ah.

<Xandhil> The link between the elves and the fey is still mysterious - perhaps the elves are descended from the fey, or are themselves fey, though this is debated. Elven traditions speak of them coming from an ancient 'woodland home', and being expelled from it long ago.

<Xandhil> The tales say that the First World was created as a draft of our world, so it contains many similar features - trees, mountains, rivers - a fertile and wild land, as well as dangerous. But it is more fluid, more flexible - time and distance are malleable, geography can adapt to the will of powerful beings.

<Xandhil> But some mistake was made, perhaps, or whatever being created it - Serpent, or some even greater force - started again for unknown reasons.

<Xandhil> Perhaps this is why the fey don't worship any deities that we know of - some scholars speculate that they do not have souls, and therefore are cut off from the divine. While I believe that their plane must have an Arch of some type, I don't know what form it takes or how it is used.

<Xandhil> Gates to the First World are powerful... artifacts? entities? called the Irminsul. They take the form of massive, ancient trees. The wood is considered very useful for creating magic items or casting powerful spells, and so many have been destroyed over the years. It's very likely that there was one at Seda Grove, judging by your accounts.

<Xandhil> Certain types of fey are powerfully linked to trees - dryads and hamadryads in particular. Hamadryads are the more powerful of them, bonded to entire forests, and do not necessarily die when their trees are cut down or they are separated from their forest - although it can enrage them or drive them mad.

  • Lathra nods, not looking up from her note-taking

<Xandhil> Dryads are weaker, linked to a specific tree, and will typically die if their tree is destroyed, although the power of a hamadryad can aid them to bond to a new tree and survive.

<Aubrienne> Well, that sounds perfectly horrific.

<Xandhil> There is another matter that may be related to your questions.

<Aubrienne> Hmm?

<Xandhil> Some other people are also looking into these, or related, issues. I believe it would be useful for you to speak with them, and they've agreed that I can pass their names on to you accordingly.

<Xandhil> I think you already know them, however.

<Aubrienne> Oh?

<Lathra> Reeeally?

<Xandhil> Their names are Hugo and Zola.

<Lathra> Do we know a Hugo and Zola, Aubrienne?

  • Lathra winks

<Aubrienne> I shall have to ponder that...

<Xandhil> They came here over the same initial issues you were concerned about - the attack at the nightclub. but they have had other ... encounters as well.

<Aubrienne> Encounters? They've come into contact with the fey?

<Xandhil> It seems likely, yes.

  • Aubrienne looks worried for a moment

<Aubrienne> Previous encounters haven't ended well, but it seems they're both none the worse for wear.

<Aubrienne> I'll be curious to hear their account.

<Xandhil> I hope it'll be informative for all concerned.

<Aubrienne> As this has been. Positively fascinating.

<Xandhil> I realize that what I've been able to provide doesn't give you any firm answers as to what is happening.

<Xandhil> But I think it suggests some directions for further inquiry.

<Lathra> Yes, I've learned ever so much, but as you say, it doesn't *really* tell us whether, for example, we might be about to be invaded by tree spirit monsters.

<Lathra> Which I definitely think we shall look into further.

  • Xandhil nods

<Xandhil> If I had to make a guess, I would suspect that there is a hamadryad at the root... heh. of some of these issues, at least.

  • Lathra raises her teacup in celebration of the pun.
  • Aubrienne laughs, having an appreciation for bad jokes :)

<Xandhil> The other fey you've encountered or heard about may have come here because of her, being drawn by her power or in hopes that she can aid them.

<Xandhil> But that's only speculation on my part.

<Aubrienne> You said that some have been driven mad when their trees have been destroyed. Does that mean this has happened before?

<Aubrienne> A documented case, legend, anything to provide some guidance for moving forward?

  • Xandhil nods

<Xandhil> There are some cases that I feel straddle the line between legend and history. I can provide you with the sources on those - it might at least give some idea of the types of powers these creatures are said to possess.

<Aubrienne> Sounds like a logical next step. It would be greatly appreciated.

  • Xandhil will provide those notes.

<Xandhil> If there's further help I can provide, please let me know.

<Aubrienne> If there's any more help we can afford, we'll be happy to give you a call. ;)

  • Xandhil smiles at that

<Lathra> Why yes absolutely!

Genevriel shows her mother's letter to Dorien

  • Genevriel has been very apologetic for the situation, beyond her control, of having no heat in her home, and has been trying to do what she can to earn her keep at the apartment you share with Argent. She's been diligently trying to find another place she can stay so she can stop inconveniencing you and Argent. She has also been diligently checking whether her landlord has come back from his holidays and taken care of the heating issue yet, but no luck.
  • Dorien has been constantly reassuring Gen that she is not being a burden in any way and is welcome to stay as long as she needs to, as long as she stays out of Dorien's room when he and Misery are... working...
  • Genevriel tries to make herself inconspicuous and stay out of your way and Argent's as much as possible, though that is hard for a such a tall person in your small apartment. She is sitting quietly in the living room early on the afternoon of Rat Day, reading the gift your mother gave her on Wolf Day, when she calls you over.

<Dorien> Hey, what's up? You ready for the party tonight?

  • Genevriel looks a bit like a deer in headlights when you mention the party, then shakes her head.

<Genevriel> You should maybe read this.

<Dorien> What is it?

  • Genevriel passes you what looks like a letter your aunt wrote to your mother some years ago. Gen points out a particular paragraph.

<Genevriel> Most of it is just what you'd expect, but then there was this...

  • Genevriel lets you read the paragraph.

<Genevriel> (sec, will copy paste)

<Dorien> (KK)

<Genevriel> "Andri tells me an odd story today, and I don't know what to make of it. He says that as he was out in the eastern grove, he heard someone singing. He followed the sound among the olive trees, and found a woman there, a stranger. He was cautious, but she seemed friendly, and told him that she was a guardian of the trees here - that she was grateful for the work we were doing with them.

<Genevriel> "Then, according to his word, she stepped into one of the trees and vanished. He said that her name was Nysha, and that she was very beautiful, but something about the tale left me uneasy. Perhaps this woman is a local priestess - the old ways are still practiced in a few areas. Perhaps she is some being of the woods, or something stranger yet.

<Genevriel> "I have asked him not to tell anyone about it for the time being. Can you see if there is anything to be found in the city's libraries that might shed light on this? In the meanwhile, we will continue our efforts here. The trees are doing well with the latest supplements you sent."

<Genevriel> It just put me in mind of what we were discussing yesterday with Argent and Denise.

<Dorien> That's... ominous...

  • Genevriel shrugs.

<Genevriel> Maybe. But if your mother did look into it for mine, maybe we could ask her what she learned?

<Dorien> Maybe. I wonder if and how this relates at all to the mushroom farm...

<Genevriel> It was just the trees and you mentioned those mushroom people - they'd be faeries, wouldn't they? And this woman might have been, too.

<Dorien> Yeah, it's possible.

<Dorien> Weird...

<Dorien> But for now...

<Dorien> You should get dressed.

<Genevriel> I am dressed.

  • Genevriel looks down at the daytime clothes she has been wearing since shortly after waking up.

<Dorien> Huh... you don't have any more... partyish clothes?

<Genevriel> "Partyish clothes?" What's wrong with these? We partied just fine with the other settlers wearing our usual clothes.

<Genevriel> If you mean a dress, forget it. I look frightful in dresses, like a man portraying a woman in a comedic play.

<Dorien> Well, nothing's wrong with them per se... it's just... well... I mean... It's kind of a little more fancy thing than that.

<Dorien> Not necessarily a dress, but...

  • Dorien checks his pocket watch.

<Genevriel> I could go pick up the suit I bought to wear to meetings with my lawyer, if I must.

  • Genevriel doesn't look especially enthralled by the idea.

<Dorien> Ok, look, we have an hour and a half before Misery is supposed to arrive. That's just enough time to get to the shops and back. C'mon, we'll get you some nice slacks and a shirt. My treat.

<Genevriel> ...

<Dorien> "I insist," Dorien adds with a smile, offering you his hand.

<Genevriel> I'll buy them myself, thank you.

<Dorien> No arguments.

<Dorien> For once, just let me treat you, will you?

  • Genevriel looks a little upset.

<Genevriel> I'm not rich, but I'm not a charity case, either.

<Genevriel> You and Argent have gone out of your way to keep me housed for days now.

<Dorien> You're family. This is what family does.

  • Genevriel hesitates but doesn't know how to counter that argument.

<Dorien> C'mon, don't make me fail to push you out the door.

  • Genevriel mostly looks confused by that statement... Do you want her to get out of your hair and this is how you're going to do it, by forcing her to accepts clothes from you? Or something else?
  • Genevriel goes shopping with you, although she can't seem to get really enthusiastic about the experience.

<Dorien> (He just means he's too much of a weakling to actually make her go with him, so please just go along with it :P )

<Dorien> (As in, "Don't make me try to physicaly make you go and fail because you're like so much stronger than me >.> )

<Genevriel> (I'm not Denise! My STR is only 13  :) )

<Dorien> (Yeah, mine is 10 ;) )

<Genevriel> (Now I have to try to figure out what she is wearing. Would Dorien have nixed the things she would have been automatically drawn to (ie, modest things that cover up her perceived ugliness) or would he have just let her get what she wanted so as to avoid further arguments?)

<Dorien> (He'd be willing to compromise. Something modest but stylish would be fine :) )

<Genevriel> (OK)

Zola and Hugo discuss their game plan

  • Zola is lounging in Hugo's dressing room while he puts the finishing touches on his attire for the evening.

<Zola> I've been thinking...

<Hugonel> Hmmm?

<Zola> ...do we really know that they have a grudge against the Empire? Klara and Jonas and the others?

<Hugonel> No. It's possible, but we don't know that.

<Zola> So you were just adding that in as a possibility, with Mr. Orecalo?

<Hugonel> I'm not sure I did that. Did I say that?

<Zola> Well, I guess you said against humans, not the Empire?

<Hugonel> I suppose I might have asked him if they would have some reason to dislike humans.

<Hugonel> I was curious why they might be here instead of in Psyra, and why they might be killing people like the Count of Radstock.

<Hugonel> I don't really *know* anything. This whole business is all questions and no answers.

  • Zola nods

<Hugonel> Why, do you have a different idea?

<Zola> Well, I was just thinking... maybe we could just ask?

<Hugonel> Ask ... Ms. Dannan?

<Zola> Or Jonas?

<Zola> Maybe they had nothing to do with what happened here.

<Hugonel> Well ... yes, I agree we could talk to Jonas.

<Hugonel> Presuming he's not their next planned victim.

  • Zola looks at Hugo

<Zola> You don't think he's one of them?

  • Zola is giving him a look

<Hugonel> He might be ... or he might be someone they're ... drawing energy from. He's an artist, like poor M. Berthillon the writer, or ...

  • Hugonel leaves the rest unspoken

<Zola> I suppose...

<Zola> But how could we tell?

<Hugonel> Well, maybe we could detect magic on him, at least.

<Hugonel> Beyond that ... we could ask him?

  • Zola sighs and throws her head back against Hugo's couch (?)

<Zola> Ugh

<Zola> So Jonas then, not Klara?

<Zola> I just think... before we start sharing information, and names, with whoever else it is who's looking into the fey... we should be sure. There's no putting the cat back in the bag.

<Hugonel> How would we be sure, without sharing information? And speaking as a Cat who may already be in their ... bag ... I'm not inclined to delay.

<Zola> Well what if the bag is a nice place, where they invite you to parties that are less unsettling when you know what's going on, and... they make dresses for you?

<Hugonel> All we're doing is asking questions.

<Zola> I know, I meant if we tell too much to his other clients...

<Hugonel> We don't know who they are or what they want.

<Zola> That's a good reason to be careful.

<Hugonel> Of course we'll be careful. What have we done that hasn't been careful?

<Zola> ...go to a party where we might have been leeched on by psychic faeries?

  • Zola is more sulky than serious
  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> We're probably in greater danger here. Have you ever *talked* to the people we work with? Some of them are just ... *weird*.

<Zola> One of them works here!

<Zola> That's the point! :P

<Zola> So we talk to Jonas... should we... Charm him?

<Hugonel> If necessary. I usually find I don't need to, though.

<Zola> Well casting it mid conversation isn't very subtle :P

<Hugonel> Well I can do it without somatic components, but I take your point.

<Zola> Oh, well that's good, I suppose.

<Zola> In case of emergency >_>

<Hugonel> I promise not to do anything stupid without consulting you first, all right?

<Hugonel> Besides, Thera is accompanying me tonight at the party and I can't be slinking off doing weird things all night.

<Zola> Well we haven't heard word of a meeting yet anyhow, we have time.

<Zola> It's not like I wanted to spend our night off grilling Jonas :P

<Hugonel> Is that what the kids are calling it these days? :P

  • Zola rolls her eyes.

<Zola> I'm not sure he could handle us.

<Zola> He looks like he'd get tired too quickly.

<Hugonel> Yes, rather.

<Zola> I'll bring my pistol anyway, in case he tries to eat us.

  • Zola says, only half seriously.
  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> Look at him. You think he *eats* anything?

<Zola> So he might be extra motivated!

<Zola> (I'm good I think for this scene, having established we'll talk to Jonas first.)

<Hugonel> (sure)

The staff party at the Cabaret begins

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - on to party times :)

<DiablotinNarrator> Walk into the club like whatup... :p

<Dorien> >.>

<DiablotinNarrator> you folks can describe what you're wearing, who you're with, whatever :)

  • Dorien is wearing blue slacks and a white shirt with a neckerchief and a matching overcoat. he also has a small shoulder satchel filled with goodies.
  • Dorien will arrive with Gen and Misery
  • Genevriel feels rather self-conscious in her new duds, which consist of something like this, though she also wears the long kid gloves he gave her as a Festival Gift, of course.. normashearer1930s.jpg
  • Hettienne is wearing an emerald green velvet and silk sleeveless number, with a deep v neckline and an even deeper back, fringed with beads... (like this but a bit shorter: il_fullxfull.207997797.jpg ) Her hair is twisted up behind and to the side in something like an asymmetrical faux-bob.
  • Hettienne is with a tall, slim, knockout redhead :3
  • Lathra is wearing some combination of her "robes" and evening wear, and invited Leiris as she was leaving Xandhil's place on a whim.
  • Hugonel is wearing a dark grey suit with a gold and green corsage and a matching green scarf. He is coming to the party with Thera Rademacher, as befits a man of his handsomeness and great (self-)esteem.

<Leiris> (:D :D :D)

  • Zola returns to the club hanging attentively on Bright Olivier's arm. Her black dress is less showy than she usually wears to perform, and she's wrapped a light green feather boa around her shoulders in honour of Rat Day

<DiablotinNarrator> Most of the rest of the club's staff are there as well, looking stylish and kicking back more than usual.

  • Titania is mingling around, making sure that everyone's having a good time.

Titania and Aubrienne have an interlude

  • Titania will sidle up to Aubrienne

<Titania> Hi gorgeous :)

  • Aubrienne will be happy to be sidled up to

<Aubrienne> Well hello yourself.

<Aubrienne> Having a good time?

<Titania> Oh yes - it's great to have the holidays wrapping up.

<Titania> I've been splitting time between the club and family obligations, and it gets exhausting.

<Aubrienne> On a related note, when you have a moment later, I have a little something for you.

<Aubrienne> Well, I have lots of things for you, but this one is specifically holiday-related. ;)

<Titania> Oh really? well, if you're not too busy, there's something in my office I wanted you to see ;)

<Aubrienne> I believe I have a little time to spare...

  • Titania will escape to her office with you, then ^-^
  • Titania takes the opportunity of privacy for some kisses before producing her gift :)
  • Zola will find Hugo so the two can (re)introduce their arm candy.
  • Titania offers you a large, flat box (like the kind clothing might come in)
  • Hugonel is hard to miss, like always :)
  • Aubrienne will stop by her dressing room on the way to procure her gift for Titania

<Aubrienne> (which comes in some form off box, but it's a little strangely shaped...I think it is also a flat box, though smaller than a clothing box)

  • Titania will open it up excitedly :)
  • Aubrienne will do the same with hers

<Aubrienne> bridal_necklace_for_the_shoulders_victorian_style_beaded_pearls_and_rhinestone_ooak_bridal_jewelry_wedding_jewelry_vintage_1920_s_style_b5070821.jpg

<Aubrienne> (I think that posted correctly)

<Zola> (worked for me)

<Aubrienne> (Coolio)

<Aubrienne> I thought it would go with your usual attire.

<Titania> oh - it's so beautiful!

<Titania> thank you :D

<Aubrienne> I'm glad you like it. :)

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, your box contains a short, black cape

<Titania> I know yours doesn't look like much, but it has a few special features.

<Aubrienne> Oh?

<DiablotinNarrator> http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/cloak-prestidigitator-s

<Titania> I thought you might be able to use it for your act, if you like - unless that's cheating ;)

<Aubrienne> Sweetie, I already use magic in my act. So, if it's cheating, I'm already doing it. ;)

<Titania> plus, I thought it would look quite dashing on you ^-^

<Aubrienne> Well, doubly thoughtful of you.

  • Titania gives you a hug
  • Aubrienne returns it with a kiss

<Titania> Happy Rat Day, honey :)

<Aubrienne> Happy Rat Day to you too.

<Aubrienne> How long can we be absent the party...?

<Titania> Hmmm...

<Titania> Long enough, I think ;)

Hugonel and Zola interview Jonas

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo and Zola, you wanted to show off your arm candy?

  • Hugonel will escort the lovely Thera into the room.
  • Zola gives him a little wave
  • Thera had a little gift for you, Hugo ;)

<Hugonel> (I like gifts)

  • Thera 's gift was a new silk scarf - forest green
  • Thera knows your tastes ;)

<Hugonel> (awesome - I'll get her a nice tasteful bracelet or something like that.)

  • Thera seems pleased with that

<Hugonel> Oh, there's Zola - have you met her?

<Thera> I don't believe so - introduce me?

<Hugonel> Of course!

  • Hugonel leads her over, taking a slightly circuitous route to make sure everyone sees us/her/me.

<Hugonel> Zola, darling, you look lovely!

  • Bright 's gift for you is at home, Zola - which is definitely not a bribe to get you to go there later ;)
  • Zola will have sighed dramatically when she was told she'd have to wait. She got Bright a monogrammed green pocket square for him to wear tonight, if it fits his outfit.
  • Bright will tuck it into his pocket, certainly :)

<Zola> Hugo! And you, as always :)

  • Zola gives him a peck on the cheek.

<Zola> You've met Bright, yes?

<Hugonel> Yes, of course. A pleasure. And Zola, allow me to introduce Mlle. Thera Rademacher.

<Bright> Hugo, nice to see you.

<Thera> It's lovely to meet you

  • Thera says to Zola

<Hugonel> Happy Rat Day to all.

<Zola> And you!

<Zola> Yes!

  • Zola uses that as an excuse to give Bright a peck on the cheek :)
  • Bright grins

<Bright> I gather there are some special refreshments to be had? Where do we go for them? :)

<Hugonel> Oh, you probably should go talk to Dorien, who is ... over there.

<Hugonel> He'll have what you want, I'm sure.

<Bright> Marvellous. I'll be sure and hit him up.

<Zola> I'll make sure you find him in the crowd :)

  • Bright nods
  • Bright certainly knows Thera already, and they can chat for a bit
  • Hugonel will look around - is Jonas here?

<DiablotinNarrator> Yes, he's there

<DiablotinNarrator> Over busily chatting/flirting with Neva

  • Zola glances in the direction Hugo's looking.
  • Hugonel looks meaningfully at Zola.
  • Zola leans in ... "Now? In the middle of the party?"
  • Hugonel shrugs.

<Hugonel> Why not?

<Zola> I guess it would discourage him from eating us.

<Hugonel> Indeed.

<DiablotinNarrator> (Well, are you going to talk to him?)

  • Zola will excuse herself from Bright then, since he seems to already be friendly with Thera it won't be super rude.

<DiablotinNarrator> (you can probably leave Bright and Thera to chat ;)

  • Hugonel will excuse himself from Thera and will head over with Zola.
  • Jonas is at the bar, having a drink

<Hugonel> Jonas! Good to see you! Happy Rat Day!

<Jonas> Oh, yes, happy Rat Day to you as well, Hugo.

  • Zola will in fact get herself a stiff, yet fruity, drink.

<Jonas> Are you enjoying yourselves?

<Hugonel> Of course, absolutely, and you?

<Jonas> Certainly. It's good to have a night off once in a while :)

  • Zola also orders one of Hugo's habituals for him

<Hugonel> Yes. This party is certainly more lively than the last one we were at.

  • Zola does her best not to look nervous :D
  • Jonas nods a bit uncertainly

<Hugonel> Been meaning to ask you about that, really. Do you go there often?

  • Zola hands Hugo his cocktail and takes a rather big drink of hers.

<Jonas> Well, once in a while. Old friends, you know?

<Hugonel> Sure, sure, of course.

  • Hugonel sips his drink.

<Hugonel> Little bit of a weird occasion though.

<Jonas> I hope it wasn't too disconcerting for you. The wine was rather strong.

<Zola> Klara does seem to have such interesting friends.

<Hugonel> It was a different sort of soirée than the one I thought I was going to, I'll say that.

  • Jonas nods

<Zola> It DID seem to go right to our heads.

<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+14

  • Zola rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+14 ] getting [ 12 ] which, after the modifier [ 14 ] totals [ 26 ].

<Jonas> It wasn't my idea to bring you - I would really have preferred to leave you out of it, seeing as, well, I work with you both.

  • Jonas says a bit abashedly

<Hugonel> We're just wondering, Jonas, what we got ourselves into. Why we were invited there and what the purpose was of the odd business that took place.

  • Zola will also do the D for general:
  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 18 ]

<Hugonel> I don't want to pry into what's not my business but it seems like Klara has made it our business.

  • Jonas sighs

<Jonas> Klara gets ... interested in people. Attached to them. If she's interested in you, then you want to be careful.

<Hugonel> Why?

<Jonas> Well, you saw what happened to Luc.

<Hugonel> I saw a man in love ... then I saw his corpse. Was that Eirini's doing?

<Jonas> Eirini? no, no. That's not her style at all.

<Hugonel> But he was seeing her, right?

  • Jonas sighs again

<Jonas> Klara introduced them - she holed up with him for a little while. I don't know what happened between them - not really my business.

<Hugonel> She ensorcelled me that night when she played here, I'm sure of it. I feel like I have attracted the attention of someone, or something, and I'm just trying to understand it, Jonas, so I don't play a sour note. You understand, right?

<Zola> And the party was... confusing, Klara seemed protective of us, but it felt... like we were used.

<Jonas> I try to stay apart from these matters.

<Jonas> I'm just trying to go about my own business.

<Hugonel> Will they have one of these parties after my funeral?

<Hugonel> Will you go and toast my memory?

<Zola> Hugo...

<Jonas> If you get involved with Klara, most likely.

<Jonas> She doesn't do it on purpose... it's just her nature.

  • Hugonel softens.

<Hugonel> Are you ... are you safe, Jonas?

  • Jonas laughs

<Hugonel> I have friends in high places, who can help you.

<Jonas> Me? I'm doing better than most, I suppose.

<Jonas> And, forgive me, but I don't think your friends can help.

  • Hugonel smiles thinly.
  • Jonas smiles

<Zola> Did ... Luc Berthillion ask for what happened?

<Jonas> He wanted to create something magnificent - and he did.

<Zola> But did he know the cost?

<Jonas> I think it's very possible he wanted that more than he wanted to live to a ripe old age, if that's what you mean.

  • Zola nods

<Hugonel> What do you want?

<Jonas> Me?

<Jonas> Another drink would be nice.

  • Zola laughs

<Zola> We'd buy you one, but it'd be a hollow g esture tonight :)

  • Jonas smiles

<Hugonel> Thank you, Jonas. You're a good fellow. We'll stay clear of trouble.

  • Zola will get her drink refreshed and pick up something she's seen Bright get before before we go

<Jonas> Look - I don't dislike you two. I'm not out to do you any harm. So I recommend you keep yourselves safe for whatever's coming.

<Zola> So something is coming.

  • Zola says, somewhat ... unsurprised.
  • Jonas sips his drink coolly.

<Hugonel> We'll stay safe. You do the same.

  • Jonas nods

<Jonas> Have a good night.

<Zola> You too... and thank you for your honesty.

Hettie and Nycki exchange gifts and kisses

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie, Nycki seems to be having a pretty good time :)

<Nycki> Thanks for invitin' me, babe :)

<Hettienne> Glad you're havin' fun :D

<Nycki> Don't usually get to do the 'work party' thing

<Hettienne> Haha, I bet not.

<Nycki> by the way - I got a little somethin' for you

<Hettienne> Aw, really? :3

<Nycki> yeah, well... happy Rat Day an' all

  • Nycki produces a little box

<Hettienne> Ooo... Should I open it now?

<Nycki> Sure :)

  • Hettienne will eagerly unbox it then...

<DiablotinNarrator> It contains a gold locket

<Hettienne> Oh, that's real pretty! Thanks, sweets.

  • Hettienne gives you a kiss.

<Nycki> Glad you like it :) Open it up, too

  • Nycki kisses back

<Hettienne> Oh?

  • Hettienne pops it open.

<DiablotinNarrator> Inside is two locks of hair twined together, red and black

<Hettienne> Oh, hon...

<Nycki> Had to get it while you were sleepin' ;)

<Hettienne> You stole my hair?

  • Hettienne laughs out loud.

<Hettienne> That's perfect.

<Hettienne> Put it on me! :3

  • Nycki will clasp it around your neck

<Hettienne> I love it...

<Nycki> Looks good on you

<Hettienne> I got somethin' for you too... I left it at home though; wouldn't fit in this little bag.

<Nycki> well, you can gimme that later - along with anything else you want ;)

<Hettienne> Count on it. ;)

<Nycki> (does Hettie dance? or would it be more fitting to sit and have a drink or something together ;)

<Hettienne> (both!)

<Hettienne> (I like drinks and also fun)

  • Nycki will have a dance with you, then, and some drinks, and more dancing, etc. ;)
  • Hettienne is having a wonderful time :)

Dorien and Misery dance

<DiablotinNarrator> Dorien, you're doing a very good business tonight, even though the crowd isn't as large as it has been during the holidays - the staff are ready to party ;)

  • Misery hasn't actually been on this side of the business before, but seems ready to learn how it works
  • Dorien will mingle readily, making sure to keep misery close by :)
  • Misery_ wears an adorable red dress and basically is wide-eyed the whole time
  • Dorien will also make sure she has a drink and whatever else she wants.

<Misery_> Do I get to sample the merchandise? ;)

<Dorien> I think that can be arranged... what were you looking to try?

<Dorien> I should warn you, I have a botle of cherry nectar with our name on it for when we get home.

  • Misery_ smirks

<Misery_> Maybe I'll just stick with the champagne then ;)

  • Dorien smirks right back.

<Dorien> I'll introduce you to some of my clients tonight. It'll be good for you to know them. I think you'll especially like Aubrienne.

<Misery_> Well, wasn't she there at the mushroom farm?

<Dorien> (Duh. -_- I had a complete brain spasm. Retract that :P)

<Misery_> (heh, I just assume Dorien's memory is shot too ;)

<Misery_> (but we can retract it :)

<Dorien> (I can work around it...)

<Dorien> Yeah, but you didn't really get much of a chance to talk to her. She's good people.

  • Misery_ nods

<Misery_> Yeah, I'd like that

<Dorien> Are you doing ok so far? I know this isn't really your normal scene.

<Misery_> No, it's fine so far :)

<Misery_> Do you get to take a break long enough to dance? ^-^

<Dorien> For you? Of course ;)

  • Dorien will plant a kiss on her cheek and lead her to the dance floor.

<Dorien> (Assuming there's not a line of people or anything >.>)

  • Misery_ will cheerfully (for her) dance with you ;)
  • Dorien is actually a pretty good dancer, with his 18 dex

<DiablotinNarrator> (for the record, even though he's not here atm, Argent is also there with Mireva - you can both have SK dates ;)

<DiablotinNarrator> (well, half-SK in his case)

<Dorien> (hee)

Aubrienne and Lathra compare fey notes with Hugo and Zola

<Aubrienne> (At some point in the evening, Aubrienne will try to wrangle Lathra, Zola, and Hugo, probably backstage, I guess)

  • Lathra is at the bar encouraging the staff to get creative with her drink

<Aubrienne> Dorien's here, so I'd be worried about getting too creative with your cocktails.

<Aubrienne> So, I know this isn't exactly the venue for it, but I suppose we should have a word with Hugo and Zola about recent events, huh?

<Lathra> (It's no fun if I have to cast neutralize poison on *everything*.)

<Lathra> Yes, I suppose that's probably for the best.

  • Lathra picks up her drink, pushes a couple of excess cherries out of it and joins Aubrienne
  • Aubrienne will nod towards them (assuming they are in sight), and offers her arm
  • Lathra takes it with a smile
  • Aubrienne will walk over towards Hugo and Zola (hopefully in a moment without their dates), all smiles

<Aubrienne> Happy holidays, you two. I hope they've been good.

<Hugonel> Oh, hello, Aubrienne. Yes, very good.

  • Hugonel sips his drink thoughtfully.
  • Zola turns to the pair and smiles broadly.

<Zola> Wonderful, and you?

<Aubrienne> It's nice for everyone to have a chance to unwind. We've certainly had some strange times this year.

<Aubrienne> Oh, fantastic. Lots of family business, as usual.

<Zola> Yes, always thrilling, family. -_-

<Lathra> Yes, it's a lovely time of year. Speaking of strange times, though... we've been told that you've been undergoing research into some of them?

<Zola> Hmm?

  • Hugonel laughs.
  • Lathra also laughs

<Hugonel> So you're M. Orecalo's other interested party?

<Lathra> That's right!

  • Aubrienne smiles

<Aubrienne> It was a bit of a surprise when he shared that, but at least we were already acquainted.

<Hugonel> If I may ask ... why and how did you get involved in that?

<Aubrienne> Well, it's something of a family concern for me, and, uh, I suppose somewhat of a professional one for you, Lathra?

  • Zola quirks a brow.

<Hugonel> How's that, then?

<Lathra> Well, we noticed certain patterns... in particular, rather a lot of my dream-prone acquaintances have had commonalities in their oneiric adventures.

<Aubrienne> Though, truth be told, I guess it was your lovely date's brother who initially got us involved.

<Hugonel> ... so Tristan *is* involved with all this somehow. Ha!

  • Zola looks at Hugo quizzically

<Aubrienne> Well, I'm not sure I'd go that far, but he did have an, ah, episode, when visiting our temple.

<Zola> So there have been dreams about fey?

<Aubrienne> As Lathra said, it showed some similarities to a few other strange instances...

<Lathra> Although I'd prefer you not spread that around, as Tristan's been very accomodating.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Aubrienne> Indeed.

<Aubrienne> As I said, I'm not sure I'd say he is involved, but his gift seems to be sensitive to whatever is going on.

<Aubrienne> I don't think he needs any more trouble coming his way.

<Hugonel> I know Tristan from Sirris' temple, although not especially well. I had spoken to Sirris about ... some dreams and visions of my own, relating to some things that have happened to me over the past few months. I haven't spoken to Tristan directly at all.

<Aubrienne> Dreams and visions?

<Lathra> You too?

<Hugonel> Ever since our Psyrene songbird has come to visit, I've had a couple of odd experiences relating to red-haired beauties. Not, I might add, the one I'm with tonight. That's just because she's stunning.

<Aubrienne> Well, I hope whatever experiences you have tonight are only as odd as you prefer.

<Hugonel> We have reason to think that she, along with at least some others, here in the city, are fey posing as humans.

<Aubrienne> She meaning our elusive Psyrene?

  • Aubrienne looks over at Thera quizzically for a moment

<Zola> Yes, not Mlle Rademacher.

<Zola> ... to our knowledge.

  • Aubrienne winks

<Aubrienne> Well, I should hope not.

<Hugonel> Her powers are remarkable but, I think, of mundane origin.

  • Hugonel says with a twinkle in his eye.
  • Aubrienne grins at that

<Aubrienne> I'll bow to your expertise in this matter, of course.

  • Lathra sips her drink politely

<Aubrienne> In any event, I gather you've had more direct contact than our efforts have provided?

<Hugonel> Yes, I believe so.

<Zola> We were ... invited to a party which proved to be... stranger than expected.

<Aubrienne> Stranger how?

<Hugonel> We have reason to think that we were invited in order to ... attempt to bring us under their sway in some way. That wine *was* drugged, and we had odd visions.

<Zola> Well, it might have been their typical fare, but not ours.

<Zola> And it's likely what you saw wasn't a vision, considering the gash left behind >_>

<Aubrienne> Gash? Was someone hurt?

<Lathra> It doesn't sound *awfully* outlandish to have intoxicating drinks...

  • Lathra sips again
  • Aubrienne smirks at Lathra

<Hugonel> I was ... scratched. By a ... thing, that looked like a woman, or vice versa.

<Zola> And it wasn't just fingernails, she cut through the fabric!

<Aubrienne> She attacked you?

<Hugonel> I don't know ... yes, it seems so.

<Zola> I don't even remember it happening...

<Hugonel> When it happened, I didn't think it was real. I thought it was a delusion.

<Zola> From what he said it seemed like maybe she was just angry and ... lost control. It's not as if she wasn't close enough to do real harm.

<Aubrienne> Well, at least you're safe, but that certainly is troubling.

<Aubrienne> What were they like? Our experiences seem to be leaning more towards the effects they are having, than any real interaction, but I gather something rather sinister is afoot.

<Hugonel> For the most part, they were like ordinary humans, which is the role they are assuming.

<Hugonel> There is some greater plan involved, but at the same time, they do not seem to be of a single mind.

<Zola> We've talked to one of them since and he warned us to stay away from the hostess, and implied that ... yes, something is going to happen.

<Aubrienne> I don't know how much of our investigations M. Orecalo shared with you, but it seems we've angered them, or, from the sound of it, possibly just some of them, and they're seeking a redress of grievances.

<DiablotinNarrator> (just a question - where are you guys talking?)

<Aubrienne> (We were at the edge of the party. I assume we're talking low, though maybe we should move to a more private venue)

<Aubrienne> (At least, I thought we were more towards the edge...)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay, just curious)

<Zola> <DiablotinNarrator> (ok, juts curious *rolls some listen checks*)

<Aubrienne> (heh)

<Zola> (You did suggest behind the stage at the beginning but didn't really usher us out of the way explicitly, I guess?)

<Hugonel> How did we anger them? And who are 'we', anyway?

<Aubrienne> The Averyonnais (sp?) as a whole, I believe, or close enough as makes no difference.

<Aubrienne> There were some...events, during the war, that impacted them.

<Zola> Well... the one who clawed up his arm did lose a fair number of vinyards...

<Aubrienne> I believe there are some who were involved that might be more targeted, but they seem less than concerned about collateral damage.

<DiablotinNarrator> (there is a shriek that interrupts your conversation)

<Hugonel> What was that?

Genevriel seeks counsel from August

<DiablotinNarrator> But for now, we'll go over to Gen lurking in the corner :)

  • Genevriel lurks and watches people and nurses a drink.
  • August will come and have a seat beside you when he notices you're there

<August> How are you doing?

<Genevriel> Oh, hello M. Merrion.

<Genevriel> I'm all right, if feeling a bit like a fish out of water. And you?

<August> Well, it's not precisely my 'scene' either, as the young people say ;p

  • Genevriel smiles a little.

<August> But it's thoughtful of Titania to give everyone a night off and a fun time.

<Genevriel> Do they? And yes, I suppose so.

<Genevriel> I wanted to work but they wouldn't let me.

  • August smiles slightly at that

<Genevriel> I've been enjoying the book you gave me. Thank you again for it.

<August> I'm glad you like it.

<Genevriel> Have you had a good Festival season?

<August> It's been very busy - I'm sure yours has as well.

<August> How are you holding up?

  • Genevriel nods, thinking of all the miles she's logged trying to find someplace she can afford to stay so she can get out of Dorien and Argent's hair...

<Genevriel> All right, I guess. I wish the investigators would come talk to me, though. It's hard, waiting.

  • August nods

<August> Well, I expect now that the holidays are at an end, they'll be back to work.

<August> So, with any luck, you'll speak to them soon. And hopefully it will go smoothly.

<Genevriel> I hope so, which is probably a strange thing to say, since it could just be more bad news for me. But I'd rather know and have some certainty than be stuck wondering - especially with all the other wondering it seems to be my fate to do.

  • August nods

<August> If you're feeling troubled, you can always talk to me.

<Genevriel> I know.

<Genevriel> Oh -

  • Genevriel digs in her satchel for a moment, and pulls out the photograph of her family.
  • Genevriel shows it to him.

<Genevriel> That's my mother, and my father, and Andri.

  • August looks at it

<August> It's a lovely photograph of you all

  • Genevriel 's eyes water a little, but she doesn't start to cry.
  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I'm glad I have it, because I was having trouble remembering what Andri, especially, looked like.

<August> Is it something you've had this whole time, or did you recently come across it?

<Genevriel> My aunt gave it to me - Dorien's mother. As a Wolf Day gift.

<Genevriel> I've been thinking it would be good to find a photographer who could make copies of it, because this is all I have left of them.

  • August nods

<August> I'm sure that could be done

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> How do you move past such a loss?

  • Genevriel asks, a little waver in her voice.

<Genevriel> It still feels like it only just happened.

<August> Well... with enough time, it gets a little easier. It's never gone, but it doesn't hurt so much.

<August> Then again, I've had more time than I ever expected.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I've had more time than I would have wished for.

<Genevriel> I -

<Genevriel> I feel like I didn't just lose them.

<Genevriel> I lost me, too.

  • August puts a calming hand on your shoulder.

<Genevriel> I lost the only place, and the only people, I ever felt like I really belonged to.

<Genevriel> And people keep trying to make me feel welcome, but it just doesn't feel right.

<August> I don't know if it's much help, but it doesn't mean you can never feel at home again. It just may take time.

<Genevriel> It feels like I would be faking.

<August> And if people want to help you, that's a good start.

<August> Your cousin, and aunt, surely mean well.

<Genevriel> I don't know how to relate to them. I've made bad choices. I'm not someone my aunt or Madds or anyone should be proud of.

<Genevriel> So letting them help me feels wrong.

<August> Well, I wouldn't be so sure of that, but in any event, perhaps they don't need to be proud of you.

<Genevriel> I want them to be proud of me, though.

<August> Helping someone doesn't require that you like every single thing they've done with their lives - only that you think they have the possibility to improve, to get better. That you care about them because of who they are.

<August> You don't need to do it all on your own.

<Genevriel> I also feel like... they knew who I used to be, and as long as those memories are intact, maybe that me is still alive, somehow. And if they got to know who I am now, then those memories would die, and there would be no hope that I could ever be that person again.

<Genevriel> Not that everything was wonderful when I was that person - she had her problems, too.

<Genevriel> But she was happier than this person I am now.

<Genevriel> I don't even know if I'm making sense.

<August> I don't know that you can ever go back to being the same person as before. But I do believe that you have the capability of becoming someone who is happy again.

<August> Cutting yourself off from people isn't the way to rebuilt that part of yourself, though.

<Genevriel> I guess not. I just don't want to see the hurt and disappointment in their eyes when they learn how much of a waste I am.

  • Genevriel laughs a little.

<Genevriel> I'm sorry; I didn't mean to get all maudlin on you.

<Genevriel> I guess these thoughts have just been weighing on me a lot recently.

<August> I'm sorry to hear that.

<August> But I hope talking about it helps, at least a little.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I've been thinking of maybe trying to stop drinking.

<Genevriel> But I don't know if I can do it.

<August> That might also help, although it could be difficult.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> I know it will be. I'm a healer, after all.

  • August nods

<Genevriel> I'll need someone to supervise me, because I could get very sick.

<August> Would you want for me to help?

<Genevriel> I was thinking of asking Lathra, because she's a healer.

<Genevriel> But I'm a little nervous about people here finding out how bad it is. I've already lost two jobs because of it.

  • August nods

<August> Well, if there's anything I can do, please let me know.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> Do you think it would be all right, to ask Lathra?

<August> I don't really know her that well, but she's a healer - it seems like it would be her duty to help you if she can.

<Genevriel> She's a healer too, but she's Shadar-kai, and I don't know if they have the same rules about confidentiality.

<August> And trying to get help would be unlikely to cost you your job, I believe.

<August> Better than the alternative, at any rate.

  • Genevriel nods again.

<DiablotinNarrator> There is a shriek that interrupts your conversation

<DiablotinNarrator> (also that of the people in gnomeland, and anyone else around)

Shadar-kai in the Cabaret are attacked by an invisible foe, and a portal opens

<DiablotinNarrator> There's a certain amount of chaos, so it's difficult at first to tell what's going on.

  • Aubrienne will look around, trying to ascertain the source

<DiablotinNarrator> (but I'll try to describe, so hold on a sec :)

<Aubrienne> (kk :))

  • Genevriel will be trying to find out what's happening, as soon as she hears it.

<DiablotinNarrator> The first, most obvious source is someone in the middle of the dance floor. The crowd there have drawn back from the couple at the center - Dorien is holding Misery, who seems wounded somehow. Almost at the same time, there is some commotion from the lounge, and then near the bar, and then towards the kitchen. Basically this is like a wave rolling around the room, as people are being

<DiablotinNarrator> struck by some unseen force.

  • Zola also looks around, though not particularly tall, at least she's in high heels.
  • Hugonel looks for Thera and moves towards her.
  • Genevriel rushes to the nearest injured person.

<DiablotinNarrator> The other people who are being struck, other than Misery, are as follows (and then you can go to wherever you're most inclined to run) - Jed and Briza (who were canoodling together at the bar), and Reyld near the kitchen, and Yonelle in the entrance to the lounge.

  • Zola casts Detect Magic

<DiablotinNarrator> (fairly easy to notice they are all Shadar-kai...)

<Genevriel> (I'm sort of figuring Misery is closest to me.)

<Hettienne> (not llathra?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (not yet?)

<Aubrienne> Jed!

  • Aubrienne rushes to Jed and Briza as best she can through the crowd

<Hettienne> What the fuck...?

  • Genevriel runs to Misery since Dorien has been noticeably happier for the past little while, and Gen thinks Misery has something to do with that.

<DiablotinNarrator> Gen - you can run to Misery, and Aubrienne to Jed and Briza

  • Aubrienne will likely grab Lathra's hand and drag her along if possible
  • Hettienne looks around...
  • Genevriel will do a Heal check and if that indicates that a cure light wounds spell or something will help, she will then cast CLW.

<DiablotinNarrator> (basically each of those was a round - like scream, scream, scream - a series of attacks, not one single thing striking them down)

<Genevriel> !roll 1d20+10

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie - you can make a Perception check

  • Zola rolls for Genevriel: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 29 ].

<Zola> (Do I see anything looking around with magic?)

<Genevriel> (that's my Heal check)

<Zola> (er detect magic)

<DiablotinNarrator> Gen - she's bleeding from a wound in her side, looks like a knife wound. Fairly easy to notice!

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+8

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 22 ].

<Genevriel> Knife!

  • Genevriel calls out loudly so that other people with healing skills can maybe just cast cure spells on other wounded.
  • Lathra casts detect evil

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie - you do think you spot something, but it's hard to see. It only appears briefly, in the shadows - something fluttering quickly and then gone again

<Hettienne> ...

  • Hettienne scowls and sniffs the air.

<DiablotinNarrator> (scent check)

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+8

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 25 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> Zola - you do spot something as you look around, although there's probably a lot of magic on people in the room

  • Lathra will start healing people once detect evil's up
  • Hugonel is just going over to Thera and making sure she's safe from harm.

<DiablotinNarrator> Zola - some sort of teleportation effect sort of poofing around the room

<Zola> .oO( Shit. )

  • Genevriel will cast CLW on Misery and then Detect Poison as soon as possible afterwards, just in case.

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra - you are in the middle of the dance floor, having cast Detect Evil. You do in fact detect evil - right in front of you, as something you can't see attacks you

<DiablotinNarrator> !roll 1d20+9

  • Zola rolls for DiablotinNarrator: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 18 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> (does that hit your AC?)

  • Aubrienne checks on Jed and Briza, then looks to see what Geffrard is doing

<Lathra> (Checking, p. sure yes)

<DiablotinNarrator> !roll 1d3+1

  • Zola rolls for DiablotinNarrator: [ 1d3+1 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 1 ] totals [ 3 ].

<Lathra> (Yeah, it hits for sure)

<DiablotinNarrator> (3 damage, and you can make a Fort save)

<Lathra> !roll 1d20+2

  • Zola rolls for Lathra: [ 1d20+2 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 2 ] totals [ 18 ].

<Lathra> (woo?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay, you're good)

<Lathra> (Can I glass it?)

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne - Jed is okay, if injured, Briza seems worse off. Geff is checking on Yonelle, and Neva is tending to Reyld

  • Aubrienne is in now way designed to handle this situation ;)

<Zola> (If I see the arriving flash of teleportation magic, rather than only the exit, I'd try to get in a Daze at the target if it's within 30')

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie - you smell something odd, but it's not the same as before. This smells sort of like before a lightning storm, or something like that?

<DiablotinNarrator> Lathra - you can try?

  • Aubrienne will cast Detect Magic and, if she can see Lathra get hit seemingly by nothing, will cast Obscuring Mist at about knee height.
  • Hettienne looks over at Nycki... "You smell that?"
  • Lathra is about to strike with her glass, but notices that it isn't empty and casts Hold Person instead.

<Nycki> yeah - somethin' weird

  • DiablotinNarrator will assume Argent is doing something useful in all of this too ;)

<Denise> (probably also detecting evil and/or healing someone)

<DiablotinNarrator> !roll 1d20+9

  • Zola rolls for DiablotinNarrator: [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 11 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 20 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> (I'm guessing 20 beats your DC on the hold person Lathra?)

<Lathra> (I can't work out what it is but yeah, that'll beat it.)

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne - you don't see anything odd in the knee-level mist

<DiablotinNarrator> Maybe whatever it is is not on the ground?

<Denise> (wis + spell lvl +10)

<Lathra> (DC 16 then - thanks Denise!)

<Aubrienne> !roll 1d20+5

  • Zola rolls for Aubrienne: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 21 ].

<Aubrienne> (rolls her crappy Scent score)

<Aubrienne> (when able)

<DiablotinNarrator> You can also scent the weird ozone-ish smell in the air

<Aubrienne> (kk)

<DiablotinNarrator> There is something weird going on, which the mist on the floor semi-obscures, but those of you on the dance floor or near one of the injured people can notice it

<DiablotinNarrator> (more weird, that is...)

<DiablotinNarrator> The black blood that's been spilled is moving, gathering and pooling in the center of the dance floor

<Zola> What in the name of the Gods...

<Zola> (K-Arcana?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (you can roll it)

  • Genevriel 's eyes widen when she notices that but she returns her attention to Misery and casting spells.
  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+9 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 9 ] totals [ 23 ]
  • Hettienne reaches into her purse for her gun...

<Hettienne> That ain't gonna be friendly.

<Aubrienne> (Can anyone with K: Arcana roll that check?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (sure)

<Genevriel> (Well, I guess I can try K:Planes in case Gen has an inkling what this might be, but it would have to be a sudden insight since her primary occupation is Misery atm)

<Aubrienne> !roll 1d20+10

  • Zola rolls for Aubrienne: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 27 ].

<Genevriel> !roll 1d20+10

  • Zola rolls for Genevriel: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 27 ].

<Aubrienne> (Nice!)

<Lathra> K: Planes? !roll 1d20+6

<Lathra> !roll 1d20+6

  • Zola rolls for Lathra: [ 1d20+6 ] getting [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 6 ] totals [ 10 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> (you're a bit distracted from being stabbed, probably :)

<Lathra> (reckon so)

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne, Zola, and Gen - you feel like something is opening. The blood pool shimmers and reflects like a dark mirror, and then suddenly opens like a portal or gate.

<Zola> EVERYBODY OUT!

<DiablotinNarrator> A figure steps through the gate - tall and towering, with a helm of antlers. Its presence seems to suck the very warmth out of the air, and frost spreads as it moves

<Genevriel> !roll 1d8+3

  • Zola rolls for Genevriel: [ 1d8+3 ] getting [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 3 ] totals [ 7 ].

<Genevriel> (7 HP back for Misery)

<DiablotinNarrator> It is male, about 9 feet tall, wearing some kind of armor of ice.

<DiablotinNarrator> People are scattering, of course, although some stand their ground to take shots at this .. thing

  • Hugonel backs the hell away!
  • Genevriel stays with her patient

<Hettienne> Rat's balls O_o

  • Aubrienne will try to get the wounded people near there out of the way if at all possible

<Genevriel> !roll 1d20

  • Zola rolls for Genevriel: [ 1d20 ] getting [ 13 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> Geff for instance, and Haft, and Julian, and Epane

<Genevriel> (that's for detect poison but if a "DC 20 wisdom check" means I need to roll 20, then I fail the spell, obv.)

  • Hettienne is gonna take a shot unless Nycki is taking off

<DiablotinNarrator> (you can, Hettie)

<Genevriel> (My DC for a 0 level spell would just be 10)

  • Zola will look to make sure Bright is able to make it out

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+7

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 3 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 10 ].

<Hettienne> (lolno)

<Aubrienne> (The check for detect poison is only to determine the exact type of poison)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yeah, you can tell there's poison)

<Genevriel> They've been poisoned, not just stabbed.

  • Genevriel yells, keeping her cool in spite of the antlered ice dude nearby.

<DiablotinNarrator> A few of the shots hit it, but it looks to you like it just sort of ... seals up with ice again, and keeps on walking

  • Lathra joins Gen, casting cures

<Hettienne> You ever seen the like?

  • Hettienne asks Nycki?

<Nycki> nope @_@

<AntleredMan> Let the winter's night begin

<Hettienne> 'S like we need somethin' to melt that shit off...

  • AntleredMan says, and walks out the door

<Hettienne> Uh...

<Hettienne> where's it goin'?

<DiablotinNarrator> Geff and Haft, at least, are going to run after the thing

<DiablotinNarrator> Most everyone else is busy trying to help the people who were injured

  • Hugonel will try to see what Jonas is doing, if anything

<DiablotinNarrator> or get the hell out of there @_@

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo - you don't see him anywere, so maybe he vamoosed as soon as this all started?

<DiablotinNarrator> (or before?)

  • Aubrienne will actually run after Geff and Haft, given that there's little she can do for the wounded

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - you can run out the doors and into the street, although you have to be careful given the ice that's coating the floor now

<DiablotinNarrator> (basically you're moving at half speed sort of thing, to keep from falling)

  • Zola can't really pursue in high heels even if she could help

<Hettienne> Welp.

<Aubrienne> (Is he (and Geff and Haft) in sight?)

<Hettienne> THat *was* a real nice party. :/

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne - you're in time to see this thing a ways down the street, mounted on a horse of an icy grey, whose hooves seem to be made of smoke, as it rides off. Haft and Geff take another couple shots at it, but it's outpacing you

<Hettienne> This is officially above my pay grade, though.

<DiablotinNarrator> Geff is going to go call the actual cops

  • _Zola_ will probably try to get Bright to retreat to her dressing room if there's no one who isn't being assisted
  • Hettienne puts her gun back into her purse

<_Zola_> (And he hasn't already fled)

<Nycki> I got people I should tell about this, babe.

<Nycki> This is above mine too.

<Hettienne> I bet you do @_@

  • Nycki gives you a kiss and will take off

<Hettienne> Don't forget about yer present..!

  • Aubrienne will head back in to check on everyone

<Nycki> I'll be back, but it might be late - don't freak out an' shoot me if I sneak in, okay? ;)

<Hettienne> I'll try! :v

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - for the injured folks and those who are tending to them

<DiablotinNarrator> Fortunately, a lot of bards on the premises mean a lot of people with cure light wounds anyway

<Zola> (>_>)

<DiablotinNarrator> The poison is the bigger problem

<DiablotinNarrator> Neva can handle those, but she has to get to everybody who's affected

  • Lathra can delay poison on whoever looks sickest

<DiablotinNarrator> THat will be a big help!

<DiablotinNarrator> If you can hold them until Neva can get around with her neutralize

  • Genevriel can't do anything yet to slow down or neutralize poison, sadly.

<Lathra> I've got one l2 left, so I can do one person.

  • Zola can make the poison victims sound like they've inhaled helium?

<DiablotinNarrator> okay - well, I'll say that Briza is the worst off, so use it on her

<Zola> (Anything in the bar's first aid kit for that kind of thing?)

  • Lathra also sends somebody to fetch her leeching ket

<Lathra> *kit

<Genevriel> (You'd think there'd be some potions in case...)

<DiablotinNarrator> yes, there are, but someone has to get them and administer them

  • Zola is totally up for that
  • Titania is sort of shaken up, but will help with that, Zola

<Zola> Ugh, Tits, I'm so useless ;_;

<Titania> Yeah, like the fucking wards I put on this place? This is bullshit.

<Titania> Why here?

<Zola> Do you know what that thing was?

  • Zola tries to think of whether it is something she's ever read about

<Titania> A giant dude with ice antlers?

<Zola> ... :/

<Zola> It looked... like a big deal.

<DiablotinNarrator> Neva can get around to neutralize the various poisoned folks, and the various cure lights floating around can get them back on their feet

<Aubrienne> (Crud, apparently lost connection)

<DiablotinNarrator> (not everyone got poisoned, some of them made their saves, fortunately)

<DiablotinNarrator> (because she doesn't have a million of those... )

<Genevriel> Are you okay?

  • Genevriel asks Misery and Dorien when things are more or less back under control.

<Hugonel> Let the winter's night begin ... I suppose he thinks he's a showman now. Hmph.

<DiablotinNarrator> (The black puddle/gate/thing has vanished, btw.)

<DiablotinNarrator> (it lasted only a short while)

<DiablotinNarrator> welp, party kinda falls apart after that

<DiablotinNarrator> people can huddle for warmth and have recuperative drinks

  • Hugonel is available for warm huddling as needed ...

<Zola> (Can I roll a K for that thing or the seeming ritual that spawned it?)

<Aubrienne> (heh)

<Hugonel> . o O (gulp.)

  • Lathra will eventually remember that she had a +1 and go and apologize for abandoning him.

<DiablotinNarrator> (you can try. K: planes would be best, K: arcana maybe an acceptable substitute)

<Aubrienne> (Oh, yeah, did our knowledge rolls do anything?)

<Lathra> Can I try another K:Planes?

  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+4 ] getting [ 9 ] which, after the modifier [ 4 ] totals [ 13 ]

<DiablotinNarrator> it let you know that a gate was opening right in the middle of the floor, slightly before it happened?

<Zola> (:()

<Denise> (Leiris probably has tons of knowledges, roll for him ;)

<Aubrienne> Ah, gotcha

  • Genevriel will attempt to make herself useful by assisting with distributing drinks or offering comfort to people who might be in a bit of shock still.

<Aubrienne> Well then

<DiablotinNarrator> Leiris is super stoked, Lathra, although obviously concerned that you got stabbed

<Aubrienne> !roll 1d20+10

  • Zola rolls for Aubrienne: [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 26 ].

<Zola> (lol)

<Aubrienne> (Arcana)

  • Lathra probably has a cure light left, when reminded about the wound

<Leiris> !roll 1d20+13

  • Zola rolls for Leiris: [ 1d20+13 ] getting [ 4 ] which, after the modifier [ 13 ] totals [ 17 ].

<Leiris> (aw, lame, Leiris)

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne - you did just read a bunch of books about the fey, anyway, so this may ring a bell.

<Aubrienne> (Hoorays!)

<Leiris> !roll 1d20+11

  • Zola rolls for Leiris: [ 1d20+11 ] getting [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ 11 ] totals [ 18 ].

<Aubrienne> (Aubrienne just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

<Zola> (lol)

<DiablotinNarrator> (lol)

  • Zola rolls [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 16 ]
  • Zola is obviously rattled and drunk

<Lathra> (Can I make another K: Planes, now that I'm no longer stab-addled?)

  • Zola DOES find Bright she hopes :P

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne - the ice, and the horse out of nowhere, reminds you of a creature you read about called the Cold Rider.

<Aubrienne> (Do I remember him from a Bon Jovi song?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (.... sure.)

<Aubrienne> (It just sounded like that kind of title)

<DiablotinNarrator> Basically the story, summed up quickly because I have to go walk the dog, is that they were fey knights who had their hearts torn out and were turned into monstrous creatures of corruption and winter

<Aubrienne> Yeah, that's bad news bears :(

  • Leiris will definitely make sure Lathra is okay, get her another drink (maybe a hot toddy? ;)

<Lathra> (D'aww)

<Hugonel> (how is Thera taking all this?)

<DiablotinNarrator> Zola, you can find Bright, he's fine, Hugo, Thera is also fine, if rather shaken up.

  • Hugonel will comfort her the best way he knows how.
  • Aubrienne is torn between taking care of Jed and Briza, and trying to escape with Tits to cuddle for comfort

<DiablotinNarrator> (oh yeah, Zola, you should go back to Bright's place and get your gift ;)

  • Zola will, certainly, as long as she knows people are OK

<DiablotinNarrator> (he got you a black and gold silk dressing gown, which he will hope you will model for him ;)

  • Zola does, imagines he likes it best around her ankles
  • Genevriel goes back to Dorien and Argent's home after ensuring she has done everything she can for people at the club, and stuffs rags in her ears so she doesn't have to listen to sex noises.

Solos

Denise and Enver see how Ander likes his rats

<DiablotinNarrator> So, after hanging out at your local neighbourhood party for a while, you guys can head over to the Mala Tajna's festivities

<DiablotinNarrator> The party over here is perhaps a bit more rowdy, but maybe that's just because it's later in the day by the time you get there and people are drunker ;p

<DiablotinNarrator> Are you looking to track down Ander?

  • Denise needs to check in, yes!
  • Denise has the last few gifts tucked in her bacg still :)
  • Ander is much in demand, with lots of people wanting a chance to talk to him, but you can find him

<Ander> Hi Dee, happy Rat Day :)

<Denise> hey boss, same to you :D

<Denise> I got somethin' for ya, sec....

  • Denise will dig ot the nicely wrapped box of cigars
  • Ander smiles

<Denise> Is Ralf around?

  • Denise assumes yes but didn't see him right away

<Ander> that's real nice, sweetheart, thank you :)

<Ander> Yeah, he's not far. You wanna track him down?

<Denise> yeah, before I forget is probably better >.>

<Denise> how's things goin' here?

<Ander> Well, good so far - busy. An' people keep gettin' me drinks.

<Denise> heh

<Denise> yeah I bet >.>

<Ander> here, I got a little somethin' for you too

<Denise> oh yeah? :D

  • Ander digs into his pocket for his wallet, and pulls out a card, which he hands to you
  • Denise looks at it

<Ander> (it's for a tailor's shop, Chauseul's)

<Ander> You head on over there when you got some time, let 'em know I sent you, an' they'll fit you up with a nice new suit.

<Denise> oh! Thanks boss :D

<Ander> That way you can pick out somethin' you like. Or if you'd rather use it on some shoes or whatever, that'd be swell too. Just get somethin' you like :)

  • Denise grins more at that

<Denise> That's real swell!

  • Denise will give him a hug ^-^
  • Enver hugs you back

<Enver> (oops. although he would ;)

  • Ander hugs you back

<Denise> (hee)

<Ander> Now, you wanted to find Ralf?

<Denise> yeah, if he ain't busy...

  • Denise looks around

<Ander> He was just goin' into the Cellar last I saw - let's check there.

  • Denise nods and will weave through the crowds with Ander
  • Enver trails along with you as well :)
  • Ralf can be tracked down in the Cellar, where he is just doing.... something? behind the bar, checking on a box perhaps? ^-^

<Ralf> Oh hey!

<Denise> hey Ralf!

<Denise> Happy Rat day!

  • Ralf pops up, subtly putting himself between Ander and the box of whatever

<Ralf> You too, Dee.

<Denise> I got you a little somethin'...

  • Denise rummages in her bag to find it

<Ralf> Aw, you didn't haveta...

<Denise> well, it's Rat Day!

<Denise> I heard good stuff about it anyway, but I thought it could be useful...

  • Denise passes him a small box

<Denise> it's just a little thing

  • Ralf opens it up, looking curious

<Denise> (a bottle of sharpening oil stuff >.>)

<Ralf> Ah, that's real nice - I can use that for sure.

<Ralf> Thanks!

<Denise> oh, great! :D

<Ralf> Here, I got somethin' for you too

  • Ralf does not say 'because Ander made me' ;)

<Denise> aww! Well, you didn't have to neither, but thanks :)

  • Ralf reaches behind the bar again, and takes out several flat presents that are pretty clearly records.

<Denise> oh swell :D

<Ralf> I hope you'll like 'em - my little sister's about your age, an' she says these are good, so...

  • Denise 's record collection has grown significantly this holiday, probably to Hettie's mixed chagrin and relief...

<Denise> I bet they're great :D

<Ralf> (probably at least one Mico record in there ;)

  • Denise looks through them and then surreptitiously peeks past ralf at the box :D :D :D
  • Denise knows better than to give Ralf a hug though >.>

<Ralf> Oh, so, uh, Ander, while you're here

<Ralf> I got somethin' for you too >.>

<Ander> yeah?

  • Denise grins more but keeps out of the way

<Ralf> yeah...

<Ander> well, are you tryin' to kill me with suspense? :)

  • Ralf unveils the cage that's behind the bar, which contains two rather familiar rats

<Denise> :3

  • Ander looks surprised

<Ander> wha..?

<Denise> :3 :3 :3

<Ralf> pet rats. Enver there helped get 'em. They're pretty friendly.

  • Ander bends down closer to look at them

<Denise> they arrrrrrre :3

<Ander> were you in on this too, Dee? :)

<Denise> yep :D

<Denise> the grey one is more shy

<Denise> but they ain't bitey

<Ander> They're real cute.

<Ander> Thank you :3

  • Ralf smiles
  • Ander does not know better than to give Ralf a hug, and will do so ;)
  • Denise will be politely distracted, probably grinning at Enver

<Ralf> they can stay here til after the party's done, Hyson says it's okay. Well, I convinced Hyson it was okay.

  • Ralf says, once slightly awkward hugs are done

<Denise> you should pick up the black one

<Ander> What're we gonna name 'em?

<Ander> they ain't gonna run off, if I pick 'em up?

<Ralf> Nah, they know where the food's at.

<Ralf> Might try to run up your sleeve or summat, though.

<Ander> oh, okay...

  • Ander will experimentally reach a hand out to the black one, since you recommended it as being more friendly

<Ander> hi there

<DiablotinNarrator> The rat sniffs at his hand and will put its front paws up onto it

<Ander> :3 :3 :3

<Denise> aww...

  • Ander will attempt to pick it up, then

<Ander> heh... squirmy little fella

  • Ander manages to get it up into the crook of his arm, where he can hold it more securely
  • Ander pets its back

<Ralf> I hope this wasn't a dumb idea

<Ander> No... it's good.

<Denise> he likes havin' beind his ears scratched too

  • Ander tries that

<DiablotinNarrator> The rat circles around and settles down to be scritched

<Denise> see? :D

<Ander> :)

<Denise> you do gotta give 'em good names though

<Ander> I'm thinkin' about it

<Ander> Ralf, you should name one too :)

  • Denise peeks in the cage at the grey one to see if he is feeling curious today

<Ralf> Uh, I dunno... they're for you, really.

<Ander> Nah, if they're gonna live with us, they're yours too :)

<DiablotinNarrator> The grey one will sniff at you, since you're more familiar :)

<Denise> hey there little guy....

<Denise> you wanna come out too?

<DiablotinNarrator> it will bravely venture up onto your hand

  • Denise will pull him out then, and will hold him up so Ander can see him/so he can sniff Ander

<Ander> aww :)

<Denise> he's the boss, right, so you gotta be good for 'im :D

  • Denise tells the rat

<Ander> heh

<Ander> I pay in... what do rats like?

<Ralf> Raisins.

<Denise> but not too many or it gets messy >.>

  • Denise reveals >.>

<Ander> Well, I pay in raisins, then - but not too many ;)

<DiablotinNarrator> This adorable scene is interrupted by some kerfuffle at the doorway of the bar, as several people, some of them injured, all try to pile in at the same time

<Ander> Whoa, what's goin' on here?

<Denise> ...

  • Denise puts the grey ratte back
  • Darold makes it to the front of the group to talk to Ander

<Darold> There was some problems, boss, at the protests

  • Darold is bleeding from a scrape on his head

<Darold> The guards were stirrin' up shit

<Darold> An' they hauled in some folks who didn't sit down an' shut up when they got told

<Darold> or who didn't get away fast enough >.>

<Denise> :|

  • Ander frowns too, listening

<Ander> Okay - we'll get bail for folks who got taken in. How many are we lookin' at?

<Darold> Maybe about twenty, twenty-five?

<Ander> Phew, okay. Could be worse, I guess.

<Darold> Some folks from in the factories were gettin' off the day shift, an' got caught up in it too.

<Denise> ...

<Ander> Well, they ain't our problem...

<Denise> >.>

<Denise> what factories?

  • Ander realizes he's still holding a rat, and will pass it back to Enver to put away
  • Darold names a couple different ones, including the one your father works at
  • Denise looks perturbed

<Darold> Most've the owners just shut stuff down today, but a few kept open - some were sayin' shit about firin' the ones who weren't at work today, that sorta thing, but I think that's mostly just talk...

<Denise> well, like.... wha' do you mean 'caught up'?

<Darold> People yellin' at each other, one side of the picket line to the other, you know - talkin' shit 'bout who went to work today an' who didn't.

<Denise> :|

<Darold> It wouldnt've amounted to nothin' if the guards hadn't been stirrin' shit up though.

<Denise> . o O (Da would keep his head down for that sort of thing though, right? >.>)

<Ander> Okay - we'll get it sorted out.

  • Ander glances at you since you seem worried

<Ander> Was anybody hurt worse than some bruises or cuts?

<Darold> I don't think so - people throwin' punches, mostly, not weapons

<Ander> What happened to your head?

<Darold> Caught a sign upside it - that was an accident.

<Ander> All right - we're gonna head down to the station, see if we can't sort this out, get our folks out on bail.

<Ander> You take it easy - let's get you a drink.

  • Ander gets Darold and the others who came along with him set up with drinks

<Ander> Dee, I don't wanna take you away from the party if you're havin' fun - Ralf can go with me if you wanna stick around here.

  • Ander says to you once things are a bit less hectic

<Denise> no.

<Denise> My da was at work, so like... Prolly I gotta go >.>

<Ander> ah, I wondered :/

<Ander> okay - if he's there, we'll deal with that when we come to it, kay?

  • Ander puts his hand on your shoulder

<Ander> it'll be all right

  • Denise nods

<Denise> yeah...

<Denise> he won't like that much though, if he is :/

  • Ander nods

<Ander> All right.

<Ander> Let's get goin' then. Maybe we can get folks home before nighttime.

  • Denise nods
  • Denise will give Enver a hug before she takes off
  • Enver hugs back

<Enver> I'll stick around here, if you need to find me later, 'kay?

<Denise> thanks

<Denise> you have fun though, okay?

<Enver> keep an eye on the rats an' stuff ;)

<Denise> yeah :)

  • Ander and you can head off to the cop shop, then, to bail out protesters

<Denise> (are we continuing?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (well, it's just bailing people out, so Denise is probably just there for Ander-protection - Ander is doing most of the work/talking)

<Denise> (okay, just making sure my dad is not there ;p)

<DiablotinNarrator> (he is not)

<DiablotinNarrator> (but the odds of him not knowing about this are... low ;)

<Denise> (Yeah >.>)

Zola, Hugo, and Aubrienne talk fae

  • Zola spots Aubrienne and asks her to meet in the green room in a bit to talk about Things, and goes to snag Hugo to drag along
  • Hugonel is still more than a little bit shaken up so is not hard to drag where needed
  • Aubrienne will happily (or as happily as can be managed right now) meet you there
  • Zola smiles and will approach to give Aubrienne a hug once we meet in the green room.
  • Aubrienne will gladly accept and return the hug

<Zola> This is all so awful :/

<Aubrienne> (Oh, Julie, Tits talked to the cops, right?)

<DiablotinNarrator> (yes - also no doubt to her father >.>)

<Aubrienne> Yeah. At least most of the physical injuries have been taken care of, but another attack in the club...

<Zola> I know ;_;

  • Aubrienne shakes her head

<Zola> (not actually CRYING)

<Zola> Did you tell Tits about the fey stuff you've learned?

  • Hugonel shudders perceptibly.

<Aubrienne> Not yet. She's had a...busy day, I think. I'm going to try to fill her in later.

<Aubrienne> (No pun intended.)

<Zola> Good, I was going to suggest that... she's put up wards but maybe they're not prepared for fey things... and twice, I think she deserves to know.

<Aubrienne> Definitely.

  • Zola pulls Hugo into a couch beside her to comfort

<Hugonel> As someone who has spent a lifetime mastering the grand entrance ... that was quite a show, and deliberate.

<Aubrienne> I think she's bringing more of her resources to bear on this, all things considered.

<Hugonel> Whatever is behind this wanted us to be afraid.

<Aubrienne> Yeah, I've been wondering about that.

<Hugonel> And too, it had to know that doing that would bring down the force of the Empire.

<Aubrienne> It seems strange to announce the act without announcing the star, don't you think

<Aubrienne> ?

<Zola> Yes, what it said, about winter's night...

<Hugonel> In a way, I'm glad it happened.

  • Zola looks at Hugo in surprise

<Aubrienne> Certainly this will call more attention to the issue.

<Hugonel> Exactly. People who know more about these things and are more capable will be paying attention.

<Aubrienne> Though I'm given to understand expertise in these matters is rather rare.

  • Zola nods

<Zola> So... what else has been happening?

<Hugonel> I have been cowering in terror at home, personally. It doesn't help that my bedtime reading these days are books about strange fey creatures.

<Aubrienne> Well, I think I said before that we haven't had as much direct interaction, but I realized last night that's not entirely true.

  • Aubrienne nods in agreement with Hugo's statement
  • Zola eyes Hugo wondering if maybe Aubrienne's learned about Jonas.

<Aubrienne> (Just a moment, I need to check in-game dates)

<Zola> They're not all bad, at least...

<Aubrienne> A few weeks ago...how do you mean, Zola?

<Aubrienne> I thought you two were attacked last time you met with them.

<Zola> Well in the books they're not all bad...

<Zola> And we weren't attacked... exactly...

  • Aubrienne frowns

<Zola> It's ...

<Zola> It's more like we were invited to a party and offered something we weren't prepared for ... I think?

<Hugonel> Not to quibble about semantics, Zola dear, but I think I was attacked, don't you?

<Aubrienne> Well, I assume they're just people, if different from us, and people can be good, bad, or whatever. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm still worried about this guy wandering around the city.

<Zola> We talked to one of them after and he ... was helpful.

<Aubrienne> So you have a contact? That could be useful.

<Zola> What if she's just ... easily agitated, dear?

<Zola> You're sure she meant you harm?

<Hugonel> Whether she meant me harm or not is beside the point.

<Zola> I mean such a pretty man, surely she'd have gone for the face if she did :)

<Hugonel> In the moment, she attacked me.

<Aubrienne> Well, Zola, a sorcerer who wants to fireball you and a sorcerer who can't control their power and does it anyway are both dangerous.

<Aubrienne> I'm sympathetic, but danger is danger. We should be careful at the least.

<Zola> It's true... he warned us away from the host of the evening...

<Aubrienne> What if the next one does damage to more than Hugo's wardrobe?

<Zola> ... because of that.

<Zola> She's already had some involvement in the death of an artist, it seems.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Aubrienne> She killed someone?

<Zola> Maybe?

<Aubrienne> It sounds like maybe you think she didn't mean to.

  • Zola says, not entirely sure where culpability truly lies
  • Aubrienne 's voice obvious makes her last statement a question

<Hugonel> We don't know enough.

<Zola> He said it's her nature...

<Zola> And I'm not sure it wasn't a tradeoff.

<Aubrienne> Well, that's certainly the truth, Hugo.

<Zola> It's like ... drugs, some people can't handle it, and they trade good health for fun.

<Zola> I'm not sure that isn't the same for her.

  • Aubrienne looks momentarily abashed

<Zola> But, like you said, she's still dangerous still

<Zola> -still

<Aubrienne> Yeah. I mean, if she doesn't mean to do it, it is sad, but it's still something to be concerned about.

<Hugonel> Do you think we should expect to be questioned?

<Zola> (You know Zola partakes as well, but usually not the stronger stuff.)

<Aubrienne> It's not as though we Averyonais have the greatest reputation when dealing with other planes.

<Aubrienne> I think we might be, Hugo.

  • Aubrienne shrugs

<Aubrienne> Seems like it's best to get out what information we can.

<Aubrienne> If they're dangerous whether they mean to be or not, people should be warned, don't you think?

  • Aubrienne frowns.

<Aubrienne> Then again, we don't need another demon hunt...

<Zola> That's what I'm a little afraid of :/

<Zola> I don't really know the rest of the party, but... what if they're not dangerous

<Hugonel> People are so afraid, though - not that they shouldn't be - that I wonder what I should say, exactly. I don't want innocents to get caught up in accusations.

<Zola> Well, except for the one who scratched you, dear, of course

<Aubrienne> But you said she might be innocent as well.

<Aubrienne> Or, well, sort of.

<Hugonel> Like you say, if some of these entities mean well or have no ill intent ...

<Aubrienne> So what? We say nothing?

<Aubrienne> I mean, I live in the Shade. I'm used to ducking authorities, but I can't imagine we won't receive some sort of official attention.

<Zola> It'll be a little harder the nights they've got your name on the marquee, dear :P

  • Hugonel laughs feebly.

<Aubrienne> Well, yes, but plenty of people are willing to buy into the 'ditzy star' idea.

<Hugonel> Hey! Oh wait, were you talking about me or you?

<Aubrienne> It's pretty easy to say you hid under a table and didn't see anything important.

<Zola> Not if they know we've told Tits.

<Aubrienne> True.

<Aubrienne> Hmm.

<Hugonel> I don't mean about what happened here at the club. I mean more generally about all the things we've been involved in in the weeks past.

<Zola> Maybe we should just tell her everything and let her decide what her father should know?

<Hugonel> Talking to M. Orecalo, talking to my uncle Loick.

<Aubrienne> Well, we still have some control over how much of all that to tell, don't we?

<Aubrienne> If you don't want to name names...you don't think they'd force you or anything, do you?

<Zola> Yes, but ... what better to blow off persistent questions than "Ask the Princess."?

<Aubrienne> I'm not sure it's the best idea to pass the buck on to Titania.

<Zola> We just finished a war, and now there's big icy monsters running through the capital... I'm not sure they're going to make it optional, no :/

<Aubrienne> Well, then, there may be no choice about who to 'out' and who to protect.

  • Zola nods

<Aubrienne> To one degree or another, we're all pretty public. It's not like it'd be easy to hide.

<Aubrienne> And I don't see much other choice.

<Aubrienne> It's tell, or run.

<Aubrienne> And I'm not really excited about either option.

<Hugonel> Well, thinking about it another way - it's not like we're going to be doing much business while this cloud is still hanging over the cabaret.

<Aubrienne> Yeah, this is going to be rough for Tits.

<Aubrienne> And for all of us, of course.

<Hugonel> She may have to lay people off.

<Aubrienne> Shit.

<Hugonel> If she's even allowed to keep the place open.

<Zola> We could get out and drum up business...

<Zola> ... but I was a little worried... do you think there's something about... this place?

<Zola> The land?

<Aubrienne> Yeah, I think Hugo's right. It might not be optional.

<Aubrienne> I'd be wondering that, too.

<Aubrienne> I've never really sensed anything off, but maybe if it's so omnipresent, it just hasn't registered?

<Zola> If it's not the kind of power we're used to... who knows if we'd ever notice it?

<Aubrienne> Right

<Hugonel> There's something else you should know, Aubrienne.

<Aubrienne> Oh?

<Hugonel> One of the guests at the party Zola and I were at, the one where I was injured ...

<Hugonel> One of them works here.

<Aubrienne> Oh.

<Zola> Well, I suppose if we're going to tell Tits...

  • Aubrienne looks wary for a moment

<Aubrienne> Should I be concerned?

<Hugonel> Not about him specifically ... I think.

<Zola> He's the one that gave us the warning.

<Hugonel> It's Jonas.

<Aubrienne> ...All right.

<Zola> And he's the one who said something is coming...

<Zola> And I don't think he meant the attack that night.

<Aubrienne> Actually, about that, I have something else to tell you two.

<Aubrienne> I started to a moment ago and we got side-tracked.

<Zola> Oh yes, what you've learned!

<Aubrienne> I said previously our experience with the fey had been less direct interaction, and I realized that's not entirely true.

<Aubrienne> A few weeks ago, we found out about some strange, well, plant growth in the Shade.

<Aubrienne> Trees popping up overnight.

<Aubrienne> And it seemed like it might be related, so an, ah, investigation was mounted.

<Aubrienne> Lathra, Hettienne, Denise, Argent, Dorien, Misery and myself went to take a look.

<Aubrienne> The site was at one of the shadar-kai mushroom farms.

<Aubrienne> We found...well, more than we bargained for.

<Hugonel> What do you mean?

<Zola> Goodness, does the entire club know about this? o_O

<Zola> .oO( Who is Misery? )

<Zola> .oO( Wait, DEnise? )

<Zola> .oO( How did Hettie and Denise get involved? )

<Aubrienne> There were mushrooms, as you would expect, but kinds we'd never seen or heard of before.

<Aubrienne> Some of them attacked us.

<Zola> Gross, monster mushrooms?

<Aubrienne> We found a dead shadar-kai I believe was one of the original tenders.

<Aubrienne> And Hettienne, and I think Denise if I recall, saw a small humanoid mushroom that it only now occurs to me I should be researching to see if it's fey.

<Aubrienne> It was, ah, quite an experience.

<Aubrienne> Dorien is still looking at the samples he took.

<Hugonel> Might I ask - what made you think it was all connected in the first place?

<Aubrienne> Some of our research suggested the possibility for the realm of the fey to 'bleed' through to our world.

<Aubrienne> It seemed like it might be important.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Hugonel> Well, it seems that all of this is interconnected somehow.

  • Aubrienne sighs

<Aubrienne> Yeah. <Hugonel> But it's still so opaque.

<Aubrienne> You're not wrong.

<Aubrienne> It's hard to prepare for something if you have no idea what it is.

<Zola> You said something about visions... how did that tie back into the attack here?

<Aubrienne> Tristan's vision? He said there were things on the 'other side', things that came before, that we pushed out but might come back.

<Aubrienne> Lathra has it written down somewhere.

<Aubrienne> In retrospect, his vision seems to have been quite accurate.

<Zola> They must be long term thinkers if they're bitter about being pushed off these lands ...

<Hugonel> He is truly blessed - and cursed, Tristan.

  • Aubrienne nods, a worried look on her face.

<Aubrienne> ...I need to check with Lathra.

<Aubrienne> I think I just remembered something that might be significant.

<Aubrienne> But I'll need to check Tristan's wording.

<Aubrienne> M. Orecalo said some of the fey might not originally have been fey, that they were angels before that.

<Aubrienne> And I think Tristan said something about people who were there, who remember this whole casting out business.

<Aubrienne> In any event, something to look into.

  • Zola looks puzzled >_>

<Zola> Maybe your uncle could get us books about angels, Hugo?

<Zola> Unless M. Orecalo already has them.

<Zola> :P

<Hugonel> I'm sure ... and I'm sure he knows a great deal about that already, given the events of the past few decades.

<Zola> I suppose it would be his job to know about that...

<Hugonel> I might also talk to Sirris.

<Aubrienne> Yes, he might have some insight.

<Zola> It's hard to believe that just a few decades ago there were just a few Cozovode and just us humans here... at laest in the open.

<Aubrienne> Well, if this whole experience has taught us nothing, it's that there was plenty here we just didn't know about.

<Zola> Surely some, but maybe some sort of hornet's nest was stirred up during the war.

  • Hugonel nods.

<Hugonel> Remembering, of course, that when the entity entered the cabaret, it was not the humans, but Shadar-kai who were attacked.

<Zola> But the thing that was summoned was a fey right? Why would the Humanist League summon a fey?

<Hugonel> I'm afraid I don't follow, Zola dear. Who's to say it was summoned at all?

<Hugonel> Or at least, not by humans.

<Zola> Well the blood was clearly a ritual

<Aubrienne> I'm inclined to agree with Zola.

<Aubrienne> But who performed it, I'm still unclear.

<Zola> And who else hates the Shadar-kai?

<Hugonel> Maybe the fey have reason to hate the Shadar-kai, is what I'm suggesting.

  • Aubrienne gives Zola a dry look.

<Zola> I mean everyone else, like that church group, they'd hate the fey too.

<Zola> Didn't we read that the Shadar-kai are related to the Cozovode and the First World?

<Hugonel> Yes, that's right.

<Aubrienne> Yes, they are, or at least were, fey at some point, I believe.

<Hugonel> The details are confusing.

<Aubrienne> So there might be some animosity we don't know about.

<Aubrienne> Also, we're talking like the fey are a monolithic force, when there seems to be at least some factionalization.

<Zola> Seems like an awful lot of work to set up shop in the city just to chase the Shadar-kai out of a plane that isn't even theirs originally in the first place.

<Zola> Maybe the ritual needed fey blood.

<Aubrienne> That was my thought.

<Aubrienne> Our resident shadar-kai may just have been what was at hand.

<Hugonel> Hmm ... you're suggesting that somehow the Shadar-kai still count as fey, in some sense?

<Zola> Or I suppose just Shadar-kai blood... Kai Len wasn't attacked...

<Aubrienne> Well, he might just not have been in the path of the attacker.

<Zola> True

<Zola> Or maybe they're more removed somehow >_>

<Aubrienne> Just another of our million questions, it would seem.

  • Hugonel sighs.

<Hugonel> Well ... as fascinating as this has been, I believe I need at least another full day of huddling under my blankets at home before I'm ready to face any more of this.

<Zola> Aww.

<Zola> Maybe you should find some company for that :)

<Aubrienne> Shouldn't be too difficult, I would think.

  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> That, at least, is a department where I have little to worry about.

<Zola> And if the club runs into trouble with business... maybe I'll call my agent...

  • Zola adds for Aubrienne... "He has an in with Mico... maybe he could draw an audience back."

<Aubrienne> On that note, Zola dear, I believe I'm going to go look for our esteemed employer and bring her up to speed.

<Aubrienne> Drinks later?

<Zola> Sure :)

<Zola> I'll drink one for you while you're huddling, Hugo dear :)

  • Zola gives him an affectionate peck on the cheek

Aubrienne fills Titania in on faerie activity

  • Aubrienne will try to track down Titania for a private chat at some point after her conversation with Hugo and Zola.

<Titania> (okay - that was the following evening I think?)

<Aubrienne> (Yeah, the next night after the attack)

  • Titania can spare some time for you after that, then
  • Titania will meet with you in her office, if that works for you?
  • Aubrienne will give a polite knock

<Titania> come in!

  • Titania sounds a bit frazzled

<Aubrienne> Hey, sweetie, how're you holding up?

<Titania> Oh, you know. Just spent the day with my father, so that's always fun.

  • Titania rubs her temples
  • Aubrienne frowns sympathetically

<Aubrienne> Well, I don't want to add to your troubles, but, if you have a minute, there's, ah, some things we should probably talk about.

<Titania> is everything okay?

<Titania> well, other than the obvious

  • Titania comes over to take your hand

<Aubrienne> It's actually related to the obvious.

  • Aubrienne gives your hand a squeeze.

<Titania> oh?

<Aubrienne> Given all the weirdness that's been going on, some of us have been looking into things.

<Aubrienne> And I thought you might want to know what we know.

<Aubrienne> Well, me and some of the others.

<Titania> I... think that'd be for the best, yeah.

<Aubrienne> Okay, uh, where to start?

  • Aubrienne gives your hand another squeeze.

<Aubrienne> So, not long after that first, uh, attack, I guess, on the club, a friend of mine and Lathra's had a sort of episode at temple.

<Aubrienne> A vision, sort of, that sounded possibly related to the attack, or the general weirdness at least.

<Aubrienne> And some of Lathra's clients have been having debilitating nightmares with some similar themes.

<Aubrienne> All related to the fey, like that thing that attacked Dorien, and, now, that thing that stormed out of here last night.

  • Titania nods, listening

<Aubrienne> We ended up getting some help from a...private investigator, I guess. I'm still not entirely clear on what M. Orecalo's actual job title is.

<Titania> oh, Xan.

<Aubrienne> Yeah.

<Titania> I think he likes 'researcher' but I prefer 'hired brain' :)

<Aubrienne> Hired brain. I like that. :)

<Titania> I kind of went to school with him. for some values of school.

<Aubrienne> Well, maybe we should have come to you with this sooner. :/

<Aubrienne> Anyway, apparently his services had also been sought by Hugo and Zola, who have had some recent experiences with the fey.

<Titania> well, it might've been useful - but we'll manage with what we can do now.

<Aubrienne> They're concerned about them, both that they might be a danger and might be in danger if more people become involved.

<Aubrienne> We've had plenty of hate for outsiders already, and not all of them seem to mean us ill.

  • Titania nods

<Aubrienne> I'm sorry I didn't mention this before. It just seemed so...big. I'm still not sure what we're doing.

<Titania> it's okay, sweetie

<Aubrienne> There's some more, too.

<Aubrienne> I had a visitor a while back, my brother's old commander.

<Aubrienne> She brought me his last letter, and it...well, it's somewhat complicated, but he might be mixed up in all this, and he...he might still be out there, somewhere.

<Titania> out... where? in Psyra?

<Aubrienne> Uh, I think the call it the First World? Wherever the fey are from.

<Aubrienne> (they, rather)

<Aubrienne> His letter said they were calling him.

<Aubrienne> It looks like others heard the same call.

  • Aubrienne looks on the verge of tears.
  • Titania brings you to sit down on the couch

<Aubrienne> I don't want to hope when there isn't any, I just...he might still be there.

<Aubrienne> I don't really know what it means, but if there's a chance to bring him back...

  • Aubrienne will let herself be led to the couch

<Titania> if there's a chance, then you have to pursue it.

<Aubrienne> At first I thought it might be a good thing, and then the attack last night...made me reconsider.

<Aubrienne> They don't seem to have any love for those of us on this plane, so what might they be doing to Jean-Faust and the rest?

<Titania> I don't know.

  • Aubrienne is quiet for a moment, trying to regain her composure.

<Aubrienne> I'm sorry, this isn't exactly what I came to talk to you about.

  • Titania puts her arm around your shoulders

<Aubrienne> I just...I couldn't tell my parents because I don't want to get their hopes up, and I didn't want to put anyone else in danger.

  • Titania nods

<Aubrienne> Though it seems like half the club has been dragged into it at this point.

<Titania> it's pretty hard to avoid

<Aubrienne> We, ah, we kind of got into a bit of trouble with it a few weeks ago.

<Aubrienne> There was this weird plant growth in the Shade that Misery, uh, Dorien's new...friend, I guess, found.

<Aubrienne> So, well, quite a few of us ended up investigating and running afoul of some pretty ferocious flora, and I'm genuinely not kidding in that regard.

<Titania> o_O

<Aubrienne> Hettie's niece got some kind of acid goo spit in her hair, Dorien got hit with some kind of mind-affecting spores or something...we really weren't prepared.

<Aubrienne> It was kind of awful.

<Titania> :/

<Titania> I'm sorry to hear that

  • Aubrienne shrugs

<Aubrienne> Well, awfulness is kind of a shared experience here, now.

<Aubrienne> At least everyone is okay.

<Titania> yeah...

<Titania> Aubrienne - I don't want to put you on the spot with this. And I really appreciate you telling me all you've found out.

<Titania> But would you be willing to go over all of this with my father, and maybe a few other folks?

<Titania> I tried to explain what I knew, but it sounds like you know a lot more than me.

<Aubrienne> I kind of assumed I would have to, really.

<Aubrienne> And I think I've proven I'm pretty much willing to do whatever you ask.

<Aubrienne> ;)

  • Titania smiles

<Titania> He really, truly isn't that bad.

<Aubrienne> It's not the person that's scary, it's the office.

<Titania> I mean... he can be. but he doesn't have any reason to be with you.

<Aubrienne> But I guess that's not news.

<Aubrienne> Okay.

<Titania> He'll just want to find out as much as you can tell him. It's up to you, though - if you don't want to talk about your brother, you don't need to.

<Aubrienne> Do you...do you think it's possible to keep people out of it? Like I said, some of us are worried this will blow back on people who don't deserve the negative attention.

<Aubrienne> I don't want anyone hurt. Anyone.

<Aubrienne> I know that might not be possible, but however we can minimize the injury, I'd like to try.

<Titania> I don't know. But my father, he's... welllll, he plays by the rules. you know?

<Aubrienne> I understand.

  • Aubrienne has contemplative look for a second.

<Titania> He's let the Shadar-kai come here, and do their things, even given the issues that have cropped up, and past history, and who knows what else.

<Titania> I don't think he's going to hunt down every fey in the city on account of something a few have done.

<Titania> For one thing, I'm not letting him touch Jonas :p

<Aubrienne> Is this what it's always like for your family? No matter what, everything you do is just so big that there can't help be consequences?

  • Aubrienne gives you a worried look.

<Titania> not everything we do.

  • Titania hugs you
  • Aubrienne hugs back

<Aubrienne> Okay. I'd hate to think I'm causing some unknown harm here.

<Aubrienne> I like just having you and me sometimes, you know?

<Titania> me too

  • Aubrienne is happy to just sit there for a bit
  • Titania will hold you for a while

<Aubrienne> So, uh, you knew about Jonas, huh?

<Titania> oh. yeah.

<Titania> >.>

  • Aubrienne smiles

<Aubrienne> I just found out today.

<Titania> It's complicated.

<Titania> He tried to explain it to me once.

<Aubrienne> Did he warn you, too? Zola and Hugo said he told them something big was coming.

<Aubrienne> And we don't think he meant just last night.

<Titania> he's been edgy for weeks... I pinned him down to find out what was shaking a few days ago.

<Aubrienne> Though Sir Icypants the Horny was certainly BIG.

  • Titania smiles a little at that

<Titania> Believe me, Jonas would have been out of here ages ago if he could.

<Titania> But he, uh, can't leave.

<Aubrienne> How's that?

<Titania> well, he can leave the club

<Titania> I don't keep him chained up in the basement :)

<Aubrienne> Kinky. ;)

<Titania> But he's the ... guardian, I guess... of a river that doesn't exactly exist anymore, or not the way it used to.

<Titania> It's all underground and walled in now. Kinda sad.

<Aubrienne> Well, hey now, 'underground and walled' is my heritage, madam.

<Titania> No offense :)

<Aubrienne> Though all of those old stories do sound kind of sad.

<Aubrienne> So he's stuck here?

<Titania> Until the last drop dries up, or so he says.

<Titania> he'll just keep wasting away :/

<Titania> in the meanwhile, he likes playing music. keeps him distracted.

<Aubrienne> Oh, wow, that's awful.

<Aubrienne> ...And kind of sounds like something out of one of Korisse's movies.

<Titania> very poetic, yeah.

<Aubrienne> Poor guy.

  • Titania nods

<Titania> so you and Lathra, and Hugo and Zola, have all been looking into this stuff?

<Aubrienne> Yeah, and Dorien, Hettie, and Argent came on that trip to the Shade.

<Aubrienne> Well, plus Misery and Denise, but they don't work here.

<Aubrienne> Dor is still testing some of the stuff we found down there.

<Titania> .... nothing against Dorien, but I don't know if I'll drag him in front of my dad's Inner Council.

<Aubrienne> Seems smart.

  • Aubrienne smiles

<Aubrienne> I imagine most of them would prefer to be left out of this.

<Aubrienne> But I'm certainly willing to talk to people.

<Aubrienne> And I think Hugo and Zola are resigned to it.

<Aubrienne> Lathra, I believe, just wants to help however she can.

<Titania> You and Lathra and Hugo and Zola, I trust to put on your hoitiest-toitiest clothes and talk all polite :)

<Aubrienne> Well, I don't think I can produce the same levels as Lathra's accent, but I'll do my best. ;)

  • Titania smiles

<Aubrienne> And, yes, I believe the four of us can manage to dress for the occasion.

<Titania> I don't know who exactly will be there. At a guess - my father, my aunt Ilphere, and someone from the church.

<Aubrienne> Uh, our religious affiliations won't be a problem, will they?

<Titania> I doubt it.

<Aubrienne> Just thought I'd check.

<Titania> Maybe the Warlord, maybe some others from the Inner Council, I'm not positive.

<Titania> it depends as much on who they can get together on short notice as on how important they feel this is. I'm sure anyone who isn't there personally will get a briefing after the fact.

<Titania> it's Imperial business :/

<Aubrienne> Well, that's not terribly imposing or anything. :/

  • Aubrienne hugs

<Titania> I'm sorry you're caught up in all this. I'd hoped I'd get to introduce you to my family under nicer circumstances.

<Titania> like a funeral or something ;)

  • Aubrienne gives a strange smile

<Aubrienne> You'd given thought to introducing me to your family?

<Titania> well... yeah.

<Titania> they're not all awful

<Aubrienne> Oh, I'm sure.

<Titania> My uncle Menard is adorable, for instance.

<Titania> Dumb as a hammer, but sweet :)

<Aubrienne> Ha! I've got some relatives like that, too.

<Titania> My aunt Ilphere is ... she can be intense.

<Titania> mostly she's interested in learning things.

<Aubrienne> Well, I can get behind that.

<Titania> my brothers, my sister, my cousins... mostly not too bad ;)

  • Aubrienne is happy to let Titania talk about her family as long as she likes. :)

<Titania> I'll be there, okay?

  • Titania assures you, squeezing you close

<Titania> I'm not making you face them all alone.

<Titania> Or alone... with Lathra and Hugo and Zola >.>

  • Aubrienne smiles.

<Aubrienne> Well, that doesn't sound so bad then.

<Titania> probably there'll be refreshments, at least.

<Titania> and afterwards, hm, maybe I can show you my old room :)

  • Aubrienne snickers.

<Aubrienne> Oh really?

  • Aubrienne raises an eyebrow.

<Titania> sure :D

<Aubrienne> I like this plan. :)

<Titania> they leave it there just in case I ever change my mind

<Titania> I do use it occasionally... *very* occasionally ^-^

<Aubrienne> Well then, I'll consider myself quite lucky to get to see it.

<Titania> you have to promise not to laugh at the fact that I need a stepstool to get into bed, okay? ;)

<Titania> it's a big bed!

<Aubrienne> I don't like making promises I can't keep, but I will do my best.

<Titania> okay :)

  • Titania will snuggle you a bit more, then
  • Aubrienne will be happy to snuggle for however long Tits has to spare

<Aubrienne> (knowing Tits is a busy lady)

<Titania> (awww :)

Hettienne teaches Zola the rudiments of knitting while Denise plays hostess

  • Hettienne bustles around shoving stuff into closets and doors so Zola will have somewhere to sit in her craftin' area :v
  • Zola arrives by cab and knocks at the door :3
  • Hettienne opens up.

<Hettienne> C'mon in...

<Hettienne> Denise went to get somethin' at the patisserie.

  • Zola does, carrying a little basket. She's wearing a black skirt and bright red cardigan.

<Zola> I brought a little something myself :)

<Hettienne> Aw, that weren't necessary... but that don't mean I won't appreciate it ;v

  • Zola opens the little basket and pulls out a bottle of spiced wine and some biscuits

<Hettienne> Looks great!

<Zola> I figure there's no reason learning can't be fun :D

<Hettienne> Here, have a seat, I'll get some glasses.

  • Hettienne shows you to her sitting room.

<Zola> I think this one is meant to be served warm... might need the stove.

<Hettienne> (Half of it is taken over by projects... bolts of fabric, muslin mockups, etc)

<Hettienne> Kitchen's this way, then!

<Zola> Ooh!

  • Zola stands and follows
  • Hettienne fiddles with the gas to turn the burner on.

<Hettienne> There's a trick to it, Denise is better... oh, there we go.

  • Hettienne digs through the cupboard for a saucepan and plunks it down over the flame.

<Zola> You own this place yourself right?

<Zola> I still rent -_-

<Hettienne> Yeah... I was lucky to get in before prices started goin' up.

<Hettienne> It's small but it's enough for me an' Den. :)

<Zola> Yeah, it's cosy. I don't need much space myself. It's just me 'n Bastien for now.

<Hettienne> For nooowww?

  • Hettienne arches an eyebrow.
  • Denise bustles in with a wrapped paper parcel

<Hettienne> Ah there she is.

<Denise> hiya!

<Hettienne> Savin' me from the indignity of burnin' wine.

<Zola> Hey kid :)

  • Hettienne passes you the bottle she was about to pour into the pot.

<Denise> hey Miss Zola!

<Denise> oh!

  • Denise takes it and looks at it

<Denise> what'm I doin'?

<Zola> Just warming it up a bit.

<Hettienne> I'll make someone a terrible wife someday :v

<Zola> Hah. That's what I was hinting at is all, Hettie... someday I'll need more space :)

<Denise> Ha, that ain't likely ;p

  • Denise gives her aunt a look and a grin

<Hettienne> :p

<Denise> you need your own wife ^-^

<Hettienne> 'S true :v

<Zola> Everyone should have a spare wife, really.

<Denise> heh, amybe

<Denise> I kinda like this sorta thing though

  • Denise pours the wine into the pan and turns the burner on low so it won't scortch

<Denise> Or maybe I just got used to it with yvie, when mam was still workin', I dunno

<Hettienne> I did it for years for the boys an' I'm still hopeless.

<Denise> I ain't never heard 'em complain :)

<Hettienne> They're afraid to ;)

<Zola> Well they're still alive, it sounds like, that's something :)

  • Hettienne gets some glasses down.

<Denise> :|

<Denise> yeah....

  • Denise stirs

<Hettienne> So... was that Bright Rionet you were with t'other night?

  • Hettienne changes the subject

<Denise> you still seein' him?

<Zola> Yeah, now and again, he's a fun guy :)

<Zola> Sounds like you know him by name at least, Hettie?

<Hettienne> He's a Big Name Rat. ;)

<Zola> Yeah, I suppose he is... sure has a big house at least :)

<Hettienne> You been to his house, huh? :v

<Zola> Hah, yeah, a few times :)

<Zola> He came by the club one night and decided to stay after his friends left to say hello.

<Zola> We ... hit it off.

<Denise> u huh

<Denise> they was havin' drinks that time Orlan Celier came to the club for the secret party

  • Denise tells hettie, all conspiratorial

<Hettienne> Nice.

<Denise> he bought me one too though :)

<Zola> That'd be the second time we met.

<Zola> You found yourself a nice fellow yet, kid?

<Denise> oh! uh... maybe :3

<Hettienne> Well I think he's nice. :v

  • Denise says, blushing a little and stirring more intently

<Denise> he is real nice

<Zola> Well, if auntie approves, I bet he is :)

  • Denise smiles at the stove

<Zola> Dear, Hettie... I think she's smitten.

  • Zola :D

<Denise> I just ain't had a.. uh.... fellow... before is all!

  • Zola says a little dreamily... "It is a nice feeling, being smitten."

<Denise> I guess, yeah...

<Denise> um, how warm is this supposed to get?

<Zola> Not too warm, I guess? I don't really know, I mostly brought it as an excuse for when I fudge things up.

<Hettienne> Hah!

<Hettienne> Drunk knittin' is the best :v

<Zola> I've never done knitting of any kind to know, but I hope so :)

<Denise> heh

<Denise> well it ai'n hot but it's probably be nice to drink

<Zola> Sounds good :)

<Denise> it is some cold out there, eh?

<Zola> I brought some treats as well.

<Denise> oh?

<Hettienne> Colder 'n' a lich's tit

<Zola> Oh Hettie ^_^

<Denise> heh

  • Denise will find the soup ladle to serv up the warmed wine

<Zola> Ooh, that'll warm up the fingers too :)

<Denise> what'd you bring? I got some chocolate croissants, plus some rye bread

<Zola> A little tray of cookies, all sorts.

  • Zola points to where Hettie set the package

<Denise> ooh!

  • Denise will shamelessly break into it and pass it around
  • Zola nibbles delicately on one :3

<Hettienne> let's get settled in then...

  • Zola follows Hettie
  • Hettienne carries her glass and both boxes of snacks :v
  • Hettienne sets them down on the coffee table in the sitting room.

<Zola> So I get the idea it'll mostly be little scarves for me at first :)

<Zola> Maybe Bastien would like a scarf for his prowls :D

<Denise> who's bastien?

<Zola> My cat, sortof?

<Hettienne> Little scarf's a good idea

<Zola> He's sortof his own thing now. But we're old friends.

<Hettienne> Regular size are borin' as fuck to knit.

<Denise> ....sorta yours or sorta a cat?

<Zola> And he likes hats.

<Hettienne> Takes forever... no payoff for ages, not great when you're just startin'

<Zola> Sorta to both, I guess?

<Denise> huh

  • Zola nods to Hettie

<Zola> He was my aunt's familiar...

<Zola> He made it through her... passing.

<Denise> Aww

<Zola> So now he's ... more than a cat I guess.

<Zola> I mean what cat likes hats?

<Zola> I've tried since him and most hate it

<Zola> But it's not like I can say he's mine, right? He could leave if he wanted.

<Denise> huh

<Denise> my sister Yvie just gt a kittern - Spark's just a kitten though

<Zola> Yeah, it's wierd. I've been thinking of taking him to the Castalia to figure it out.

<Zola> Awww :3

<Denise> But Mikel's got Vir and I guess that's kinda tha same, maybe

<Denise> Like, he's a rat, but he ain't just liek a regular rat

<Zola> Oh? Is he a sorcerer?

<Denise> Nah, he's a channel.

<Zola> Oh yeah, I've heard of channels.

<Denise> He says Vir don't belong to him though, not like a pet, just like a friend

<Denise> well, Channel Sylvia's a Rionet

<Zola> So like a familiar maybe but not as connected?

<Denise> maybe?

<Denise> I don't know so much about it.

<Zola> I suppose she must be related to Bright then.

<Denise> yeah, that's what I figured, 'cause like, she's the Chancellor's sister

<Zola> Oh that'd make her his aunt.

  • Zola sips her wine
  • Denise grins

<Denise> well I guess he'd probably alright then!

  • Hettienne is digging through a basket
  • Hettienne pulls out a couple of balls of yarn and some needles...

<Zola> I took a look at the needles in the shop but there were so many @_@

<Denise> yeah, it's all on what you're makin'

<Hettienne> .. And what you're makin' it with, see?

  • Hettienne shows you how the two yarns are vastly different thicknesses

<Hettienne> This here's a worsted

<Hettienne> And here's a little light fingering

  • Hettienne almost says it with a straight face
  • Zola snickers.
  • Hettienne snickers

<Denise> >.>

  • Zola listens to Professor Hettie's yarn tips

<Hettienne> this is probably good t'start.

  • Hettienne tosses over the thicker yarn.
  • Zola the end of the yarn through her fingers... then gives the ball a little squeeze
  • Zola wiggles her red polished nails into it >_>
  • Hettienne picks out a pair of needles and passes them over too.
  • Zola holds them like a knife and fork :V
  • Denise rummages around until she finds a cloth bag, and pulls out her own Big Project - a fancy shawl for her motheer that she is contantly coming to hettie for help with

<Zola> Oooh

<Zola> How long have you been working on that?

<Denise> uhhhh. like, since I moved in here >.>

<Zola> @_@

<Denise> It were Hettie's idea

<Denise> well I ain't as good as her

<Zola> Well it's good Bastien doesn't have very big shoulders.

<Denise> plus I got lots of other stuff to do, so it sits around a lot

<Denise> Then I had to do all my holiday knittin'

<Hettienne> (mah dins are ready :/)

<Zola> (d'oh)

<Denise> (well, we got some good gossping in, anyway :)

<Denise> (we coul always come back to it another time)

<Hettienne> (yeah, assume I at least show you the basics anyway :v)

  • Zola is probably not the best student, and also gets progressively tipsier, but does pay attention ^_^

Gen asks Lathra for help kicking her drinking habit

<Genevriel> (Should it be the Thursday following the party, do you think? Thursdays are when Gen was doing work for you in exchange for healer lessons)

<Genevriel> (But that would be 5 days after the party)

<Genevriel> (And I'm not sure if there would be stuff Lathra needs other scenes for before then)

<Lathra> Sure, we can do the Thursday after if Gen doesn't want to come and talk to me at another time? I don't have any other scenes arranged.

<Genevriel> (Gen doesn't like inconveniencing anyone, if she can help it - and for her, inconveniencing includes merely being approached by her... :/ )

<Lathra> kk

  • Genevriel has been working hard at your appointment books and tidying your supplies this morning, and has completed all her work. Instead of courteously saying good-bye like she usually does, though, she lingers, hesitating about something.

<Genevriel> Mlle. Scales, thank you again for teaching me the things I need to know. I do appreciate the time you spend on me.

  • Genevriel says eventually.

<Genevriel> And are you quite recovered after the attack on First-day?

<Lathra> Oh, it's nothing, Gen dear - and thank *you* for all the help you've been giving me! I feel *quite* spoiled!

  • Genevriel adds after the briefest pause, remembering vaguely that you got stabbed too, and concerned for your health.

<Lathra> Oh yes, I'm just fine. Luckly I still had a little magic left, so I don't even have an itchy wound to heal.

<Lathra> You are a darling for asking, though!

  • Genevriel smiles slightly.

<Genevriel> I'm glad.

  • Genevriel pauses again, longer this time.

<Genevriel> Might I ask you something?

<Lathra> I should just like to say as well that you were *quite* the hero, leaping into action and putting everything you've learned into practice. I was very proud!

<Lathra> Oh! Of course, don't let me interrupt!

  • Genevriel blushes from the praise.

<Genevriel> I was only doing the right thing to do.

  • Genevriel brushes it off.

<Lathra> Well, is that not something to be proud of you for?

<Lathra> Gosh, if I shouldn't be proud of my friend for doing what's right I'm not sure *when* would be appropriate...

<Genevriel> (You're laying it on a bit thick!  ;) Gen is suspicious. SM to see whether you're being genuine or... actually laying it on thick.)

<Genevriel> !Roll 1d20+5

  • Zola rolls for Genevriel: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 13 ].

<Lathra> (Not opposed, Lathra's genuinely proud of you, pleased to see her teaching being put into action and still a bit embarassed to be having you "pay her back", which she sees as totally unneccesary. She does exaggerate the positive in general, but only where it already exists.)

<Genevriel> (OK, thanks.)

<Genevriel> Well, thank you.

  • Lathra nods in a satisfied way, remembering that Gen gets flustered by too much positivity.
  • Genevriel replies sincerely. Since we've been working together, you'd know that there is nearly always an air of sadness underlying Gen, even when she's in a good mood. :)

<Genevriel> (And that's probably why she treats positivity with suspicion)

<Genevriel> Well... what I wanted to ask was: if I told you something in confidence that could cause problems for me with regards to my work at the Cabaret, would that be putting you in a tough place?

<Genevriel> To clarify: would you feel obliged to tell Mme. Harthain, or could I trust in patient-healer confidentiality?

<Lathra> Well now, that's a complex question, I'm afraid. Maybe we could... feel it out?

<Genevriel> It's not anything illegal. It's just a - a health condition that might make me a less desirable worker.

<Lathra> Is it something that could hurt Mme. Harthain or her business? Or more... something personal that won't hurt her if she doesn't know?

<Lathra> Oh, no no dear, I don't see any reason I'd have to tell her something like that.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> All right.

  • Genevriel takes a moment to gather her thoughts and her courage.

<Genevriel> I... started drinking during the war.

  • Lathra waits patiently - she's used to hearing various kinds of confessions
  • Lathra nods, still listening

<Genevriel> I drink to... to stop feeling.

<Genevriel> But things have changed now, and I'd like to try to stop drinking. Only, I'm enough of a healer to know that I shouldn't try that on my own.

<Genevriel> I drink enough that... it could create serious complications.

<Genevriel> So... I was wondering if you, or anyone you know, might be able to supervise me while I try to stop? Or is there a hostel somewhere in Diablotin that I ought to go to, for a while?

<Lathra> I would be happy to do that for you, Gen dear, if you're comfortable with me. I think it's very brave of you.

  • Genevriel visibly relaxes as the tension of the past few minutes leaves her.

<Genevriel> What would be the best way to do this?

<Genevriel> I'm going to have to take time off from work.

<Genevriel> Also, I live alone, but I think it would be unwise for me to be alone while trying to stop. So... I've been trying to think who I could stay with while doing this. M. Merrion might be all right with it; he did offer to help, but he isn't a healer.

<Lathra> Well, there are options, as I understand it.

<Genevriel> I suppose there is also my aunt and uncle, but... I don't know how comfortable I'd be, staying with them while trying to do this-

  • Genevriel stops so she can listen to what you are saying.

<Lathra> If you want to try and do it suddenly, that can work, but it's very hard and very unpleasant. If you do want to try that, I can take some time off too and we could do it at my apartment, or I could stay at yours?

  • Genevriel smiles slightly.

<Genevriel> I live in a boarding house, and my room is hardly big enough for one person, let alone two.

<Genevriel> That's why I was thinking of M. Merrion or my aunt and uncle.

<Genevriel> And I don't want anyone to lose their own income because of me.

<Genevriel> So maybe that means I'd have to stay with my aunt and uncle.

<Lathra> Well, then my place should be fine, or whichever place you prefer.

<Lathra> However I know that some people manage very well by a more gradual method, keeping an honest track of the *amount* that they indulge, and reducing it over time until they don't need it any more.

  • Genevriel looks uncertain of her ability to exert that much willpower over an extended period of time.

<Lathra> Either way, you should know that you're likely to *crave* a drink after you think you're clean - as I understand it that'll be stronger if you stop suddenly.

<Genevriel> What do you think would work best?

<Lathra> Well, I think what'd be best would be maybe to start by doing a gradual reduction, and then when you feel like it's getting hard to do your day-to-day without "cheating" - if you're tempted to steal from the bar, for example, or find yourself hiding bottles - then we could sequester ourselves for a day or two while you get through it.

<Genevriel> I've never stolen from the Cabaret.

  • Genevriel is quick to say.

<Lathra> Oh I never imagined that you have! I didn't mean to imply!

  • Genevriel looks suddenly a little uncertain.

<Lathra> I just meant that... you might find that when you try to stop, you have impulses that aren't a normal part of yourself.

<Genevriel> All right.

<Genevriel> If I cut back gradually, how long could it take if everything goes well and I don't feel any need to fall back into my old ways?

<Lathra> Well, I haven't really done this myself, but I've heard from clients how it went for them, and I'd guess around two to four months? I imagine it depends on how driven you are?

<Genevriel> Oh... I don't know how well I'd do if it takes that long and I'm living alone. I mean, I was trying to stop even before the holidays, and a little girl's kindhearted attempt to give me a gift set me right back to not wanting to try to stop.

  • Genevriel apparently thinks the gradual method means she'd be living on her own while the sudden method means she'd be living with someone for a little while and preventing them from going to work.

<Lathra> Well, if you'd prefer to spend a long weekend locked in my apartment I'd be happy to try that route too! Sadly, neither is going to be easy, and both are prone to setbacks.

  • Genevriel tries to figure out the least inconvenient method for everyone but herself; she knows it won't be easy for herself.

<Lathra> Even so, that's only the first step - staying clean is still a long process.

  • Genevriel nods.

<Genevriel> But the best chance for success is to try the gradual way, you think?

<Lathra> That's my understanding. Think of it like this: quitting takes a long time, and you can spend that time not drinking and craving a drink, or drinking less and less and hopfully not having those cravings much.

<Lathra> Also, my clients tell me that when they *have* succumbed to a craving, it sets them back a lot.

  • Genevriel looks a bit anxious, but nods.

<Genevriel> All right. Maman always used to say a thing wasn't worth doing if you didn't spend the time doing it right.

<Lathra> That sounds like good advice to me.

<Lathra> Oh, I should ask - the reasons that you started drinking, back in the war - are they gone? Is your life better now?

<Genevriel> Well, I don't have to... to crouch in a trench anymore, at least.

<Genevriel> Or translate for- for Spider.

<Lathra> Well, I don't know exactly what all of that means, but it sounds awful.

<Lathra> If you want to, you can tell me about it when we're at my apartment one day!

  • Genevriel looks pretty pale and unhappy thinking of all those things.
  • Genevriel glances at you, a little fearful of the idea of telling you about those things.

<Lathra> Maybe not today, eh?

<Lathra> Or at all, if you'd rather not.

<Genevriel> I don't know.

  • Genevriel says quietly.

<Genevriel> I'll have to talk about it soon enough, but it's not something I like to talk about, or remember.

  • Genevriel looks rather vulnerable at the moment.

<Lathra> ... would you like a hug?

  • Genevriel shakes her head.

<Genevriel> No, thank you.

<Genevriel> I should go, but before that, when do you think I should start trying to cut back?

  • Lathra nods

<Genevriel> And how do I figure out how much to cut back?

  • Genevriel and Lathra can work on a plan together; it might help Gen calm down a little.

<Lathra> Well now the first step will be for you to start counting your drinks. Carry a notepad, mark it whenever you take a drink, or keep track another way that you can check later.

<Lathra> (etc. etc.)