Diablotin 3 session 10

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 3 session logs
Previous Session 10 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: March 1, 2015
Diablotin date:

Prologue

<DiablotinNarrator> It is approaching the end of Eleventh-month, and Diablotin is cold, blustery, and often rainy. In the mornings now, there is often a thin coating of frost on your windows, and occasional icy spots on the pavement.
<DiablotinNarrator> When it's not windy, mists rising off the river are often heavy in the evenings, sometimes so thick that it's difficult to see as far as the next streetlight.

Hugo and Zola try to figure out who Klara Dannan really is

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo, you have issued an invitation to Mlle. Klara Dannan to pay a visit to the cabaret and observe some of its performers in action.
<Hugonel> (is she giving advance warning of her visit, or just showing up one evening unannounced?)
<DiablotinNarrator> (she will let you know which evening she's planning to attend)
<DiablotinNarrator> (so it's up to you if you give the performers a heads up ;)

  • Hugonel will inform both performers and staff that a major critic is coming to visit, of course - and Tits, and anyone else who may need to know.

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay. And you are planning to host her around, so Tits will be emcee for the night.
<Hugonel> (sounds good)

  • Klara arrives just a smidge late, which is *practically* on time
  • Klara wears an elegant bronze-coloured dress with a wrap of dark brown mink. Her long red hair is held up in a knot by a pair of wooden combs.
  • Hugonel will be wearing his second-poofiest pants along with the new suit jacket he bought with the bonus Tits gave him. It is blue and black ... or is it? :P

<Klara> Good evening, M. Silveira.

  • Klara greets you politely

<Hugonel> Ah, Mlle. Dannan, so good to see you! Welcome to the cabaret.
<Klara> Thank you for inviting me.
<Hugonel> Tonight I'll be hosting you during your visit - should you need anything, just let me know.
<Klara> So very kind, thank you. I'd love a glass of champagne.
<Klara> Is the coat check nearby?

  • Hugonel will draw the attention of a server and get the champagne taken care of right away.

<Hugonel> Yes, of course, let me show you the way.

  • Hugonel escorts her to the coat check
  • Klara deposits her wrap

<Klara> So, tell me what I should expect to see tonight.
<Hugonel> (who do we have on the schedule, other than Zola?)
<DiablotinNarrator> (let's say Aubrienne and Jed, and Sonnet, and the usual band of course)
<Hugonel> Hmm, well, first we will be featuring the lovely Aubrienne Romilly and her stage magic performance. Next, I believe Sonnet is on - of course you will know of her. But naturally, and as we talked about when last we met, perhaps the most tantalizing act for you tonight is the wonderful Zola.
<Klara> I certainly am intrigued - you've talked of her before. She must be quite remarkable.
<Hugonel> Indeed. A real gem - not to imply that the rest of the show will be anything less than excellent!
<Klara> Well, I'll certainly be giving her my full attention.

  • Klara allows you to escort her to the table where you'll be sitting

<Hugonel> Very well, I'll take that as a challenge to provide no more than a minimal distraction! I must say that I shall have more than one captivating competitors for my attention this evening.

  • Hugonel smiles broadly.
  • Klara smiles but gives you a bit of a Look
  • Hugonel sits and sips at his drink.
  • Klara graciously accepts hers as well, and has a sip
  • Klara also has a little notebook she takes out of her handbag, although she isn't making notes quite yet - stage magic isn't her area of expertise :)

<Hugonel> So, Mlle. Dannan, before things get started here, I have a confession to make. For some reason I can't escape the notion that you and I have met before, perhaps long ago ... or perhaps it is someone else that you remind me of so clearly?

  • Klara smiles, turning to you with some slight confusion

<Klara> I'm afraid I don't recall meeting you prior to Dasra's salon. And unless you spent time in Wray in your youth, I don't know how we could have met long ago - I only came to the city about seven years ago.
<Hugonel> Oh my - you certainly have travelled far! No, I've never been so far afield. What brought you to the city?
<Klara> Ambition, I suppose. Hope for greater opportunities than my birthplace could provide.
<Hugonel> Quite understandable.
<Hugonel> (have I been able to place where I know her from? Maybe in a different light ...?)
<Klara> (you can make a Perception check)
<Hugonel> !roll 1d20+5

  • Zola rolls for Hugonel: [ 1d20+5 ] getting [ 19 ] which, after the modifier [ 5 ] totals [ 24 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> Hugo - you're studying her face, her appearance, trying to imagine where you might have seen her before, or who she reminds you of.
<DiablotinNarrator> A memory flashes across your mind, something long-buried... You must have been at the Castalia - seventeen, eighteen? There was a woman. You have only bits and pieces of the night - maybe you were high? You're not sure. You remember her red hair, down to her waist, and you remember when she kissed you and said "You won't tell, will you?"
<Hugonel> Do you have any relations who studied or worked at the Castalia? I spent several years studying there, an age ago.
<Klara> I'm afraid not.

  • Klara gives you a bit of a puzzled look

<Hugonel> I apologize. It was not my intention to disconcert you.
<Klara> No, it's quite all right. I'm afraid perhaps I've inadvertently troubled you?
<Hugonel> Not at all. Although I'm afraid that ever since the incident with that Psyrene songbird and the count of Radstock a few months ago here, I haven't been entirely settled.
<Klara> That was very upsetting, I'm sure.

  • Klara pats your hand.
  • Hugonel sips his drink thoughtfully.

<Hugonel> Excuse me for just one moment, I'll be right back.
<Klara> Certainly.

  • Hugonel slips away to go see Zola before her performance.

<Hugonel> Zola, my dear ... I'm afraid I'm no good at all this investigative nonsense. I have Klara Dannan with me, and it's all pleasant enough, but other than strange visions of all the women I've ever loved, I can't place why I think I should know her or how any of this relates to that damnable Eirini.

  • Zola covers her chest with a dress as Hugo barges into her room D:

<Zola> Oh, Hugo dear...
<Zola> Well I don't know how either, this was your idea. And now we have a major critic about to watch ME perform @_@
<Hugonel> Well ... uhh, yes ...

  • Hugonel stammers.

<Hugonel> Yes, that is the most important thing, I suppose.
<Zola> Have you considered that you just have an acute fondness for redheads?
<Hugonel> No moreso than brunettes ... I think.
<Hugonel> But no, this is something more. I'm sure of it.
<Hugonel> Anyway, she seems to be in a fine mood, as long as I don't become insufferable. You'll be wonderful, of course.
<Zola> And how did you even find the time to have visions about that many women... you haven't been ignoring Klara have you?

  • Hugonel laughs.

<Hugonel> I'm a quick visionary, I suppose.
<Zola> So you don't know why she's familiar then?
<Zola> Did you ask if she has any relatives in the city?
<Hugonel> I really don't know. I did ask - she's from Wray and has no relatives who I'd know. I tell you, Eirini is the person she reminds me of most, but when I mentioned her offhandedly, she didn't particularly react.
<Hugonel> Anyway, I should get back. After you've finished, come over to the table and I'll introduce you. Maybe you can help sort this all out.

  • Zola nods to him sympathetically, if not particularly convinced.

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - Hugo, you return to Klara, Zola, you return to getting ready to go on

  • Hugonel heads back so we can watch Zola strut her stuff

<DiablotinNarrator> Zola, how about a Perform check so we can see how it goes?
<Zola> .oO( Eeee )

  • Zola is absolutely using Inspired

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)
<Zola> (15 :( )
<DiablotinNarrator> (do you have Destiny or anything? I forget.)
<Zola> (No ;_;)
<DiablotinNarrator> (awww)
<Zola> (Best I could do is up my CHA if there was an encoer :P)
<DiablotinNarrator> (heh. You could do that if you want, and roll one more for an encore)

  • Zola resists the urge to claw at her hair in despair as she stands offstage listening to the somewhat polite patter of applause ;_;
  • Zola will cast Tap Inner Beauty and head back out for a single, short song...

<Zola> (25)
<DiablotinNarrator> (yay!)

  • Klara has been listening politely, making a few notes, but she sits up and looks considerably more impressed at Zola's encore
  • Zola bows graciously and retreats.

<DiablotinNarrator> Do you want to go join them at the table, Zola, or are you gonna hide out in your dressing room and despair? :)

  • Zola does take a moment to despair

<Zola> .oO( Maybe I could fake laryngitis. )

  • Zola tries a few tentative coughs in the mirror
  • Zola throws herself on the divan with an exasperated "Auugghgh!"
  • Zola tries burying herself in boas to see if the world goes away...
  • Zola will eventually marshall herself, take off some of her extra sparkly stuff and head out :P

<Hugonel> Zola! As always, enchanting!
<Klara> It's lovely to meet you.

  • Zola smiles warmly in return, "Always a comfort, Hugo."

<Zola> Good evening, Mlle. Dannan. I appreciate you coming out to see us.
<Klara> I'm glad to be here. It has been a very interesting evening so far.
<Klara> The last number you did - was that an original piece? I don't believe I've heard it elsewhere.
<Zola> Yes, it was, "Waiting for You"; Theo Olivier and I wrote it... he is my partner in all my original works.

  • Klara notes that down

<Zola> It was a somewhat desperate attempt to make up for a lacklustre performance with earnestness... I hope it will give you cause to come see us again another evening :)
<Klara> I must ask - have you released any recordings? Your voice sounds somehow familiar to me.
<Zola> No...
<Klara> Ah, well. Perhaps it will come to me later.
<Zola> So far I've only performed on the stage, though I would love to be on the radio some day...
<Zola> I hope I remind you of someone favourable :)
<Zola> .oO( @_@ )
<Klara> Well, I certainly think if you recorded that song - Waiting For You - that you would have quite some success with it.
<Zola> Oh, how kind of you to say!
<Hugonel> She really is a hidden treasure, our Zola.

  • Zola kicks Hugo a little under the table.
  • Klara smiles

<Klara> I would certainly be happy to return some other evening - I don't know how I've managed to avoid it this long.

  • Zola looks relieved, though tries not to look TOO relieved.

<Hugonel> Can I get you ladies another drink?
<Klara> Not for me, thank you.
<Zola> The Cabaret is wonderful fun!
<DiablotinNarrator> (did you guys have anything else you wanted to say/do? otherwise we should move along)
<Klara> I must admit, I've enjoyed myself more than I expected.
<Zola> Sonnet does have such a lovely voice.

  • Zola just makes somewhat more subdued smalltalk than normal, relaxing a little now that Klara seems likely to come back and maybe see a better performance.

<Hugonel> Well, you are of course always welcome back.
<Klara> Thank you, both.

  • Klara will make polite chitchat for a while longer before taking her leave.

Hettienne is caught spying on Annyck

<DiablotinNarrator> Hettie, you're up!
<Hettienne> D:
<DiablotinNarrator> So, what is your plan? You've been able to observe Nycki's comings and goings over the past couple weeks. She typically comes home late at night, maybe 2 or 3 in the morning (if she comes home at all) and doesn't go out again until noon or thereabouts.
<Hettienne> (so about the same as me)
<DiablotinNarrator> (yeah, similar)
<Hettienne> (So maybe I'll get a little time off from Tits', leave a few hours early)
<Hettienne> (Get my shit together, fill up the flask and get ready for some good old fashioned b & e)
<DiablotinNarrator> okay - so heading there late at night?
<Hettienne> (yeah)
<DiablotinNarrator> like 11-midnight ish?
<Hettienne> (cover of darkness nd all that)
<Hettienne> (yeah)
<DiablotinNarrator> Okay. From your observations of her house, there's a front door and a back door, also ground floor windows.
<Hettienne> (I will choose whichever is most covered, sheltered from street view/neighbours)
<Hettienne> (so probably the back door I'd guess?)
<DiablotinNarrator> Yeah, back door is least visible
<DiablotinNarrator> How about a Stealth check as you're sneakin' around there

  • Hettienne will creep around the back when there's no one on the street.

<Hettienne> (15... -_- here we go with the shit rolls)
<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - well, nobody comes running out to yell at you or anything
<DiablotinNarrator> if they're calling the cops, they're doing it from the privacy of their own homes >.>

  • Hettienne breaks out her shiny new tools...

<DiablotinNarrator> okay
<DiablotinNarrator> The door is locked, as you would expect.
<Hettienne> (I'll check for any security things before I start...)
<Hettienne> (is that perception?)
<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - Perception check, then. And remember you get a +1 bonus from having trapfinding :)
<DiablotinNarrator> (if that's not already incorporated into your score)
<Hettienne> (er I forgot my +7 on there)
<Hettienne> (so 17)
<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, you don't see any kind of security things or oddities. So you can try to open the lock, which will be a Disable Device check (again with that +1 from trapfinding, and with your bonus from your MW tools)
<Hettienne> (ugh I thought lockpicking was under sleight of hand, poop)
<DiablotinNarrator> (narp, sorry :/)
<Hettienne> (welp)
<Hettienne> (here is a flaw in my plan then :v)
<Hettienne> (AHAHAHAHAHA. 8 -_-)
<Hettienne> fml.

  • Hettienne swears under her breath.

<DiablotinNarrator> You fiddle with the lock, but it doens't open. However there is a faint 'click' sound and a little needle pokes out at you.
<DiablotinNarrator> !roll 1d20+8

  • Zola rolls for DiablotinNarrator: [ 1d20+8 ] getting [ 8 ] which, after the modifier [ 8 ] totals [ 16 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> (does 16 hit your AC?)
<Hettienne> (just -_-)
<DiablotinNarrator> Fort save, then.
<Hettienne> (18)
<Hettienne> . o O (Why are my goddamn hands shaking so goddamn much?!)
<DiablotinNarrator> (okay, it pokes you but no damage/other problems)
<Hettienne> (I can't try the lock again, can I?)
<DiablotinNarrator> (I think you can, just checking)
<DiablotinNarrator> (yes, you can try again. and well, you already activated the trap, so presumably nothing else could go wrong, right?)
<Hettienne> (hahahaha)
<Hettienne> (still can't roll above a 4 sooooo)
<Hettienne> (I can't take 10/20 can I)
<DiablotinNarrator> (you could take 10, since you're not in immediate danger. taking 20 would take too long, unless you want to be standing there for ages)
<Hettienne> (ok I'll do that, and if that doesn't work I guess it's window smashing time idk)

  • Hettienne takes a drink from her flask and tries one more time.

<DiablotinNarrator> (okay - what does taking 10 give you, then? including your trapfinding and tools bonuses?)
<Hettienne> (16)
<Hettienne> (21 if I swap them around)
<DiablotinNarrator> Okay - with that final try, the lock opens
<Hettienne> . o O (Thank you Rat)

  • Hettienne slips inside and shuts the door behind her.

<Hettienne> (Can I re-arm that trap?)
<DiablotinNarrator> That would be another disable device check
<Hettienne> (I'll try it >.>)
<Hettienne> (28 :v)
<Hettienne> (for the recor I am wearing gloves >.>)
<DiablotinNarrator> yup, you can re-enable it with that

  • Hettienne will look around now...

<Hettienne>
<m> let's see how you're livin' now, fancy girl...
<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, you're inside her home. It's quite dark in there, curtains drawn and such so not even light from the street gets in. It's kind of mundane, is the first thing you think. Like some ordinary house for a lady secretary or bureaucrat or something.
<DiablotinNarrator> living room with a couch and a radio, a kitchen with a nice stove and fridge.
<Hettienne> (Can I see with low light, or is it too dark for that)
<DiablotinNarrator> (if you cracked a curtain you could see enough to get around)
<Hettienne> (ok)

  • Hettienne will use Scent to try and find the room(s) where Annyck spends the most time.

<Hettienne> (22)
<DiablotinNarrator> Upstairs, you think - the living room doesn't feel overly lived-in.

  • Hettienne keeps sniffing, and heads upstairs.

<DiablotinNarrator> There are two bedrooms up the stairs - the one on the left, that faces towards the back of the house, seems to be the one that's actually used.
<Hettienne> (is the door open?)
<DiablotinNarrator> Yes, it's open

  • Hettienne steps in.

<DiablotinNarrator> Thi room feels more like her. A bit messy - some clothes strewn around, a glass beside the bed that still smells of booze, that sort of thing.
<DiablotinNarrator> The bed isn't made
<Hettienne> (Are there any desks/drawers I can snoop in?)
<DiablotinNarrator> There's a chest of drawers, and a table like a vanity/make-up table kind of thing

  • Hettienne settles in to snoop.

<DiablotinNarrator> Okay, you're going through her clothes...
<DiablotinNarrator> Make a Perception check
<Hettienne> (20)
<DiablotinNarrator> !roll 1d20

  • Zola rolls for DiablotinNarrator: [ 1d20 ] getting [ 1 ].

<DiablotinNarrator> (hah)
<DiablotinNarrator> You hear the door open downstairs, and slam behind whoever it is, who also says "what the fuck?"
<DiablotinNarrator> You'd know that voice anywhere, of course...

  • Hettienne draws her gun.
  • Hettienne comes to the top of the stairs.
  • Nycki 's voice comes from the foot of the stairs, around the corner in the living room. "Come out, motherfucker, I ain't got time for this bullshit."

<Hettienne> You better *make* time, honey.
<Nycki> ... Hettie?

  • Hettienne cocks her gun.

<Nycki> Well shit, darlin', I thought it was something to worry about.

  • Nycki stays out of sight still, though.

<Hettienne> You don't think so?

  • Hettienne stays at the top of the staircase, on the high ground.

<Nycki> Well, I'm gonna have to get my security touched up.

  • Hettienne listens for gun cocking sounds, etc.

<Nycki> Other'n that... you wanna drink or somethin'?
<Hettienne> You know I ain't here for that.
<Hettienne> We got unfinished business.
<Nycki> Yeah. I guess we do.

  • Hettienne feels calmer than she expected to.

<Nycki> I'm sorry about how all that went down. It wasn't what I woulda wanted for you.
<Hettienne> You're sorry, huh.

  • Hettienne takes a step down the stairs, still holding up her gun.

<Hettienne> I lost years off my life in the worst place in the world, an' you're sorry.
<Nycki> Well, a bit. You seem like you made it out okay. Better'n gettin' drafted, huh?
<Hettienne> Are you fucking kidding me?!
<Hettienne> I had to keep a SHIV up my goddamn snatch for YEARS
<Nycki> Hope you remembered to pull it out, baby. You sound a bit touchy.
<Hettienne> Because I trusted YOU!
<Hettienne> I just wanna know... why.
<Hettienne> Why'd you do it, Nycki?
<Hettienne> What was in that box?
<Hettienne> And why *me*? Couldn't you've found someone else's life to ruin?
<Nycki> I don't know. It ain't my job to know.
<Hettienne> Just a rat in a cage huh.

  • Hettienne says flatly.

<Nycki> Look, do you wanna talk about this, or are you gonna come around that corner blazin?
<Hettienne> I ain't decided yet.

  • Nycki sighs

<Hettienne> You're lucky I got some more level-headed friends these days.
<Nycki> Well, same I guess.

  • Hettienne sighs, and comes down the stairs, but doesn't put the gun away.

<Hettienne> If somethin' happens to me, your life's gonna get more complicated.
<Hettienne> Just sayin'.

  • Nycki stands there - she has a gun in her hand as well, but it's pointed at the floor.

<Hettienne> (what is she wearing? >.>)

  • Nycki is wearing a dark blue wool coat, and a scarf you knit for her years ago.

<Nycki> Honey, my life is complicated enough.

  • Hettienne is wearing a dark read coat with a black sheared fur collar and cuffs, and an adorable cloche hat, for the record

<Hettienne> I bet.
<Hettienne> So you gonna tell me why?
<Nycki> Only if you put the gun away.
<Nycki> is that Thundercunt?
<Hettienne> You first.
<Hettienne> 'Course it is.

  • Hettienne grumbles.

<Hettienne> I ain't too proud to throw away a piece like that, even if its owner did stab me in the back.

  • Nycki tucks her gun back inside her coat.
  • Hettienne lowers hers as well, then.

<Nycki> come on... sit down, baby. we'll talk.

  • Hettienne steps into the sitting room slowly.
  • Nycki turns on a light so you can see your way into the room better

<Hettienne> You need a better decorator.
<Nycki> Shit, this place... it's what I thought I wanted, right? A nice life.

  • Nycki says 'nice' like there's something sour in her mouth

<Hettienne> Nice and boring ain't the same...
<Hettienne> Looks like someone's gran lives here.

  • Hettienne sits down.

<Nycki> heh
<Nycki> well, I ain't home too much to use it, anyhow.

  • Nycki shrugs
  • Nycki sits down in a chair across from you

<Hettienne> Too busy with Tatiane.

  • Nycki sighs, again

<Nycki> Lately, yeah.

  • Hettienne 's upper lip twitches slightly into a minute scowl.
  • Nycki knows that look ;p

<Nycki> you never said yes or no on a drink
<Hettienne> Alright.

  • Nycki stands to go and get one for each of you, then
  • Hettienne sighs, and even takes off her hat.

<Hettienne> (which is still adorable)
<Nycki> (and I have a feeling this conversation might take a while... so, solo or thread maybe?)
<Hettienne> (WAAAAAT)
<Hettienne> (solo pls)
<Hettienne> (where did that hour go O_o)
<Nycki> (can do. I promise more dramas :)

Denise punches Vairon's killer

<DiablotinNarrator> Denise's turn
<DiablotinNarrator> Tonight Ander has a meeting in one of the private rooms of the Cellar. Haron and Evard are there, as well as Retha and a middle-aged woman you haven't seen before, rather plump, with dark brown hair in a fashionably short cut.
<Denise> (cool)
<DiablotinNarrator> You and Ralf get to wait outside - private business, apparently.
<DiablotinNarrator> (not outside-outside - just out in the bar area ;)

  • Denise will sip a beer and watch people play cards maybe?

<Ralf> (hell, Ralf will play cards with you if you want ;)

  • Denise is not gonna play cards with Ralf. I know better >.>

<Ralf> (heheh)

  • Ralf has a beer too, then

<Denise> no way, you always win >.>
<Ralf> ah, not always... people get pissy when you do that too much
<Denise> yeah, I guess they would...

  • Denise eyes the meeting room

<Denise> well maybe just like, a friendly game >.>
<Ralf> Yeah... they might be a while

  • Denise nods

<Ralf> When Ander's aunt is involved, it's some kinda serious high up business.
<Denise> (is anyone else around?)
<Denise> His aunt?
<Denise> That who that lady is?
<Ralf> yeah... I ain't talked to her a lot or anything, but I met her before. Name's Myria.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> Suterre?
<Ralf> Nah, Langol. She's his mother's sister, I guess.
<Denise> huh

  • Denise tries to store that in her brain

<Denise> and she's real high up? Like Haron?
<Ralf> Higher up than him.
<Denise> ...really?
<Ralf> yeah
<Denise> huh

  • Denise seems surprised

<Denise> is ther, like, a lot higher? @_@
<Ralf> Some, yeah. Folks who ain't gettin' their hands dirty.
<Denise> huh
<Denise> I didn't know that :3
<Denise> I guess that's maybe how he got in, then?
<Ralf> Yeah.
<Ralf> Well, I don't think he ever had to get in. He was just in.
<Denise> yeah....

  • Denise glances at the door again

<Denise> that fig'res
<Ralf> I think they gotta talk about that nob... that fella from the party at the club.
<Ralf> Figger out what to do with him.
<Denise> ...who?

  • Denise was pretty much oblivious to all of that @_@

<Ralf> oh... I dunno all the details, myself.
<Ralf> Just some rich bastard beatin' on his girl.
<Denise> Oh geeze >:|
<Denise> sounds like it don't need no big meetin' to me >:|
<Ralf> well, it's tricky, prolly. where do they wanna take this? handle it ourselves, or what?
<Denise> maybe

  • Denise says, but she still seems to think it should be more straightforward ;p
  • Denise idly cracks her knuckles after shuffling the deck

<Ralf> folks with money got different sets of rules :/
<Denise> bah >.>
<Ralf> but that don't mean there's nothin' we can do.
<Denise> oh yeah?
<Ralf> well. we'll see what Ander says, when they finish up.

  • Denise nods
  • Swynfen comes in, looking cold. His coat is nowhere near big enough, since he looks like he's grown half a foot since last winter and his arms are sticking out the sleeves.
  • Denise looks up

<Denise> hey Swinny
<Swynfen> Hey Den

  • Denise knows how that goes

<Swynfen> Gettin' foggy out there.
<Denise> yeah :|
<Denise> I hope it don't rain again >.>

  • Swynfen nods

<Swynfen> Prolly the guy hangin' around out in the alley down the block wishes that too.
<Denise> ...
<Denise> eh?
<Denise> what guy?

  • Ralf looks up from his cards at that

<Ralf> yeah - what guy?

  • Denise eyes Ralf about the time he looks up

<Swynfen> Big guy, kinda bundled up for the weather. Ain't one of the usual bums around here though.
<Denise> oh yeah?
<Denise> shoudl we maybe go say hello?

  • Denise asks Ralf

<Ralf> We could go an' take a look. Swyn, you make sure Ander doesn't leave, kay? Don't go interrupt, but if he comes out, tell him to stay in here 'til we get back.
<Swynfen> Sure, okay.

  • Denise kicks out a chair for him to have a seat and pushes her beer in front of it
  • Denise will then get her coat and activate her mage armour :V

<Diablotin_Narrator> so, what is your plan? Stroll down there and have a look around?
<Denise> I think so? that's den's plan
<Diablotin_Narrator> okay
<Denise> unless Ralf has a different idea ;p
<Diablotin_Narrator> Ralf is a'ight with this plan
<Denise> 'kk
<Diablotin_Narrator> You can see a guy, presumably the one S. mentioned, standing back by some crates and other junk about halfway up the alley
<Denise> oooh That Guy :V
<Diablotin_Narrator> Ralf also takes a peek and draws back with a whispered 'shit'.
<Denise> does he look like a bum or does he look liek trouble?

  • Denise looks back at Ralf

<Diablotin_Narrator> He does not look like a bum. He looks like... maybe trouble? if he wanted to be trouble?
<Denise> what?
<Denise> whispers back
<Denise> (can I see the metal arm? ;p)
<Denise> (or is it hidden)
<Diablotin_Narrator> (he's pretty bundled up, but you can see there's something weird about his left arm. like it's bulkier or something?)
<Denise> (okay)
<Denise> (Denise is not likely to make the connection right away, i don't think)

  • Ralf whispers "I think it's that guy Ander was askin' around about..."

<Ralf> maybe he ain't happy about it."
<Denise> Oh yeah? think we oughtta go maybe scare 'em off, then?
<Diablotin_Narrator> Ralf thinks about that for a moment. "We should tell Ander."

  • Denise nods

<Ralf> Might be more trouble than we wanna step into right here.
<Denise> Right
<Ralf> c'mon
<Denise> will follow Ralf then, but with a glance back over her shoulder

  • Ralf heads back into the Cellar, where Ander is actually just emerging with the others
  • Denise brushes her fog damnp hair out of her face, bt dosn't look happy

<Ander> What's up?

  • Ander asks you two, seeing you just come in

<Denise> There's some guy hanging around down in the alley
<Ralf> the one-armed fella, I think.

  • Ander frowns
  • Denise 's eyes go wide, then narrow

<Denise> That guy?!

  • Denise looks at Ralf
  • Ralf nods

<Denise> >:|
<Ander> What the fuck...
<Ander> C'mon, we're gonna go find out what he wants.
<Denise> right >:|
<Denise> Reckon I gt a thing or two to aski'im too >:|
<Ander> Ev, little backup here? You an' whoever else you grab, circle around the other end of the alley
<Evard> What's the trouble?
<Ander> Someone's lurkin' down there, an' I wanna know what he's after.
<Evard> Sure thing

  • Evard will head out with a couple other folks to try and block the guy's escape route, while you and Ralf and Ander head back the way you just went
  • Denise keeps herself in front of Ander >.>
  • Ander grabs your shoulder as you go and casts a Bull's Strength on you

<Denise> (I thought we were gonna swap that for Cat's grace? But I'll take it :3)
<DiablotinNarrator> (oh were we?)
<Denise> (it has grater overal utility - ups ac, good for guns and dexy fighting)
<DiablotinNarrator> (okay then)
<DiablotinNarrator> (Cat's grace it is)
<Denise> (woot)
<Diablotin_Narrator> The guy is still there when you get back
<Denise> looks back at her boss, since she is a good Minion
<Denise> will ready an action to charge this guy if he tries anything, though >.>

  • Ander will call out "Hey, pal. What do you want?"

<Diablotin_narrator> The guy replies back after a moment, "I want to know why you're asking around about me."

  • Ander says calmly "It's a free country, ain't it?"

<Denise> . o O ('cause prolly you killed Vairon, that's why, you shitstain)
<Denise> just scowls though
<Diablotin_Narrator> The guy says "Keep out of my business, rat."

  • Ander nods to you two to move, then

<Denise> (move how?)
<Diablotin_Narrator> (move closer to him - block the alley)
<Denise> (happy to do so :V)
<Diablotin_Narrator> (hopefully Evard and his folks will be able to block the other exit shortly)
<Denise> (I will Boden this guy down if I have to :V)
<Diablotin_Narrator> The guy holds his arm up. It gleams faintly in the misty light.
<Diablotin_Narrator> "Don't come closer" he orders
<Denise> >:|

  • Ander calls out, "There ain't gotta be trouble here. You go on your way an' we'll be on ours."
  • The guy backs up slightly - in time to realize that his other exit is about to be blocked off as well

<Denise> (I was expecting them to pop up out of the sewer there :V
<Diablotin_Narrator> (they could - but wherever they're coming from, he seems to be able to hear or sense them)

  • Evard and some other dude show up to block the alley exit

<Denise> (*nod*)
<Diablotin_Narrator> (but he'll do for a 'blocking your exit' person
<Diablotin_Narrato> "Sure," the guy with the metal arm calls, "I see how it is". And he does... something with his arm, and darts fire out of it in your direction.
<Denise> (ander why didn't you give us your *other* spell >.>)

  • Denise is hit but a flying thingy for 1 hp

<Denise> (Can I take my readied action to charge him?)
<Diablotin_Narrator> yes

  • Denise punches the guy for 9

<Diablotin_Narrator> you punch him in the face!
<Denise> (yesssss! I hope he was a little surprised ;p)
<Diablotin_Narrator> He seems it!

  • Ralf yells that there's someone on the roof too

<Diablotin_Narrator> A shot rings out - doesn't seem to have been aimed at you, Denise. Either at Ralf or Ander?
<Diablotin_Narrator> From the way Ralf is swearing, you'd say Ander was either hit or close to hit
<Denise> (damnit Ander this is why you have protection from arrows!)
<Diablotin_Narrator> (he was gonna do it next round >.>)
<Denise> (he still should >.>)
<Diablotin_Narrator> (yes well..)
<Diablotin_Narrator> You can choose to stay on this guy, or go back to them
<Denise> (is there anyway to get up on the roof? Hopping on things or what have you?)
<Diablotin_Narrator> there's that pile of crates beside you
<Denise> (that pile of stuff that's beside me, say?)
<Denise> (can I punch this guy and then use my move action to get up there?)
<Diablotin_Narrator> yes
<Diablotin_Narrator> well, you can try :)

  • Denise will do that!

<Diablotin_Narrator> that'll hit

  • Denise hits him in the face again for 9

<Denise> will hiss "That's for Vairon" and leave him for Evard :p
<Diablotin_Narrator> And you're going to get up on to the boxes, or onto the roof itself?
<Denise> (on the roof if I can)
<Diablotin_Narrator> make a climb check for that, it's wet and slippery
<Denise> (climb?) (29 with destiny reroll)
<Diablotin_Narrator>Yeah, you can get on that roof
<Denise> (can I get up in her business or is it too far?)
<Diablotin_Narrator> You can see there's a small, slim figure there, on the next roof over
<Diablotin_Narrator> You can't get to her yet, you used your move to get up there
<Diablotin_Narrator>And it's going to be difficult terrain moving over the roofs

  • Denise will just yell at her too then

<Denise> Bitch you better leave off >:|
<Diablotin_Narrator> She's going to take off at that
<Diablotin_Narrator> She seems better at running on slippery rooftops... maybe there's somethin' on her boots ;p

  • Denise can still shoot her!

<Diablotin_Narrator> yup! well, you can try :)
<Diablotin_Narrator> no luck on that, the shot misses her and probably breaks a tile on someone's roof
<Diablotin_Narrator> She's going to keep running, not trying to fire back
<Diablotin_Narrator> Once she crosses over the peak of that roof she's out of your sight
<Denise> (I will chase as far as I can at least)
<Diablotin_Narrator> okay
<Denise> (unless I get called back)
<Denise> (I will keep going, if I can catch up :3)
<Denise> (or get her back in my sight)
<Denise> (again, unless I get called back)
<Diablotin_Narrator> well, you can chase her to that next roof, but by the time you get there she's gone.
<Diablotin_Narrator> Either jumped down to the street and hidden, or gone some other way.
<Diablotin_Narrator> And Ander will call you back at that point, too
<Denise> (okay)

  • Denise will get back down then

<Diablotin_Narrator> Ralf and Evard are chasing after the guy with the arm, so no idea what's up with them at the moment.
<Diablotin_Narrator> Ander is bleeding from the arm but seems mostly not too badly off.
<Denise> Sorry Boss :|
<Ander> Not your fault"
<Denise> I lost 'er
<Ander> We'll get back into the Cellar, get this looked at. You okay?
<Denise> yeah
<Ander> Okay, good

  • Denise flicks away the stupid dart thing

<Denise> ain't even worse 'n a bee sting :p
<Diablotin_Narrator> Ralf and Evard will return to the Cellar maybe about 15 minutes later, looking worn out and cranky and Ralf has what looks like a burn on his shoulder.
<Diablotin_Narrator> "He got away" is the gist of their story
<Diablotin_Narrator> (we can get out more details/plans in solo or thread?)

Aubrienne and Lathra continue trying to figure out what's going on with the Seda Grove veterans

<DiablotinNarrator> Aubrienne and Lathra, you are able to return to Raimond's sickbed in order to talk to him further about his experiences in the war

  • Aubrienne will bring along a spare journal to take notes
  • Lathra brings pastries and a bottle of something restorative.
  • Raimond seems like he is doing somewhat better, although his breathing is still laboured and his voice raspy.
  • Aubrienne will also bring some flowers

<Raimond> <w> thank you, those are lovely

  • Lathra <pop!>

<Aubrienne> You're very kind, M. Neherin. I hope you're feeling well today.
<Raimond> <w> I'm feeling a bit better. I slept well last night.

  • Aubrienne smiles

<Aubrienne> I'm glad to hear that.

  • Lathra nods.

<Lathra> That's delightful!
<Raimond> <w> I can't remember any dreams, but that is quite a relief, honestly.
<Aubrienne> I can imagine.
<Aubrienne> It's good you can rest.
<Aubrienne> Do you feel up to telling us more about the war? Seda Grove and the Forestheart?
<Raimond> <w> I can try to.

  • Lathra pours glasses for anybody who'll accept one.

<Raimond> <w> The Forestheart was a magical place. And I don't mean that lightly.

  • Aubrienne quietly accepts a glass with a smile and a nod.
  • Raimond tries to think how to explain what he means

<Raimond> <w> When I was a boy, maybe nine or ten, my parents took me to see the Arch. It was when they were starting to build the shrine there, and I suppose they knew it wouldn't be something you could just walk up and see for too much longer.
<Lathra> Oh my!
<Raimond> <w> I could tell there was something... alive about it, even though it was made of stone. It felt like it was watching. I knew somehow that if I went into its shadow, I'd ... well, I didn't know what would happen, only that it would be something incredible and dangerous.
<Raimond> <w> I had nightmares about it for weeks. My parents decided I was ill, but I was just ... overwhelmed.
<Raimond> <w> That was what the Forestheart reminded me of.

  • Aubrienne looks very concerned

<Raimond> <w> In my dreams, it wasn't just a tree. It was... a doorway to somewhere else.

  • Lathra looks overawed

<Raimond> <w> The branches moved even when there was no wind blowing.
<Raimond> <w> Sometimes it sound like voices, whispering.
<Aubrienne> Can you make out any of what they're saying?
<Raimond> <w> Not words, exactly... at least, not in a language I understand. but it sounded ... sinister. frightening. Maybe that's just my projecting back and the other fears of the war though.

  • Aubrienne pats his hand reassuringly

<Lathra> Well that's perfectly understandable
<Raimond> <w> After ... after the fire, the dreams stopped.
<Raimond> <w> At least, for a while.
<Raimond> <w> But then I was in hospital for quite a while, and everything was rather a blur at that point.
<Raimond> <w> It was only after I was back here, and I seemed to be recovering, that they started up again.
<Aubrienne> Was there anything in particular that might have, ah, brought up memories of the grove?
<Raimond> <w> Nothing that I can think of.
<Aubrienne> Have you recently talked to anyone else who was there?
<Raimond> <w> I've had visitors ... a few friends from the army.
<Aubrienne> Habe any of them had similar, ah, difficulties?
<Raimond> <w> I'm not sure... if they have, none of them troubled me with them. But you could ask Dasra if any of them mentioned anything to her, I suppose. They may not have wanted to burden me.

  • Lathra nods

<Aubrienne> Of course.
<Raimond> <w> I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
<Aubrienne> Nonsense. You've been of tremendous assistance.

  • Aubrienne smiles brightly

<Aubrienne> I just hope we haven't been bothering you too much.
<Aubrienne> You're a dear to indulge our curiosity.
<Lathra> It really is *too* good of you
<Raimond> <w> No, it's fine. I'm feeling a bit tired now, but I'm happy to have you visit again whenever you wish.
<Aubrienne> We'll be sure to take you up on that. You rest now.

  • Raimond will do so

<Lathra> Well, let's check with Dasra whether Raimond's friends had anything interesting to say, shall we?
<Aubrienne> By all means...

  • Aubrienne gesutres for Lathra to lead the way
  • Dasra is in the sitting room downstairs, reading
  • Dasra stands as you enter, however

<Lathra> He's resting now, Dasra dear
<Dasra> Oh, that's good. Thank you for keeping him company.
<Aubrienne> Our pleasure.
<Lathra> What an exciting life he's had! I must say there are moments when I'm jealous, though it's clearly taken a toll
<Dasra> Yes, I'm afraid it has.
<Lathra> He mentioned that he'd had visits from some of his old military comrades at one point or another, and suggested that they might have spoken more freely to you than to him, in order to spare him worry...?
<Lathra> Do you recall if any of them mentioned anything that could be connected to all of this?

  • Dasra thinks for a moment

<Dasra> Alexavier Rouyer visited, and did mention that he hadn't been sleeping well either - but I'm afraid I didn't inquire further. Many people who were in the war seem to have that trouble. And Cora of Gouge paid him a few visits, and perhaps was feeling unwell, but then I realized she was expecting a child, so that could explain that...
<Dasra> I'm not sure I can point to anything concrete, I'm afraid :/
<Dasra> I'll be sure to let you know if I do hear of anyone with similar difficulties though.

  • Lathra notes down the names.

<Aubrienne> On, no, thank you. It was more curiosity than necessity. You've both been so helpful.
<Dasra> Well, it's the least I can do.
<Dasra> Thank you again for all your help.
<Lathra> Do you think they... or would you... object to us getting in contact with them? It all feels like a jigsaw with a lot of missing pieces, although the picture is becoming fairly visible...
<Dasra> I think it couldn't hurt to contact them. If they can't or don't wish to talk about it, I'm sure at least neither of them would be rude about it.
<Lathra> Well Dasra, thank you so! We shall certainly be back for storytime when Raimond is feeling better, another day.
<Dasra> That's lovely, thank you.
<Aubrienne> I hope he continues to improve, and thank you again for your hospitality.

  • Lathra leaves the rest of the bottle on Dasra's table as we leave.
  • Aubrienne will be sure to tell Lathra she already met Cora and has her number

<Lathra> (oOo!)

Argent learns he may not be entirely human

<DiablotinNarrator> So, Argent, you were writing to Alea Pervenche about the knife you guys stole... well, recovered... er... liberated? from the Duke of Crouch End. What did you want to say to her, more or less?
<Argent> (I think the basics of it would be "found this knife (with description), believe they may be intersted in it, would like to meet to discuss" nothing too flowery... I would have let the others review the note before sending it off and let them pick the location for the meet.")
<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)
<DiablotinNarrator> (where would you want her to reply back? your address? the club? somewhere else?)
<Argent> (hmmm...)
<Argent> (did collete have any ideas, don't really want to bring Tit's into it)
<DiablotinNarrator> (Collete could suggest maybe having her send her reply to a post office box - it wouldn't be too much to rent one just for a short while)
<Argent> (could probably rent a box with the loot cash... be safest.... thinking the same then)
<Argent> (do that)
<DiablotinNarrator> (okay)
<DiablotinNarrator> (no reply yet, I just wanted to know what you were doing with that :)
<DiablotinNarrator> Meanwhile, you're working away as usual. You're taking a short break between running from tables to the kitchen and back, and there's a young woman sitting at the bar, kind of watching you

  • Argent will saunter over with a smile

<Argent> (is she cute?)

  • Girl is probably about your age, with short black hair and very pretty green eyes. She's not dressed as fancy as many of the people who come here, although presentable enough to get in.

<Argent> Hi there, I noticed you glancing my way while I was working. Do I know you from somewhere?
<Girl> Oh, uh, no, I don't. I mean, you don't. I mean... is your name Argent?
<Argent> That's what people call me. You are?
<Girl> Margaux.
<Margaux> I was looking for you before, only I didn't know it was you. But I talked to a girl who knows you and she said I should come back and talk to you, so...
<Argent> Yeah, my friend Denise mentioned it. Not sure why you would be looking for me.
<Margaux> well, it's ... kind of hard to explain.
<Margaux> Can we talk somewhere else?
<Argent> We could find a quiet corner in back, or you could wait until the end of my shift... but I'm not sure why I should be wandering off with a stranger. Can you explain a little more first.
<Margaux> You probably won't believe me.
<Margaux> But, uh, I used to be the guardian of the Arch. and .. it showed you to me.
<Argent> so you're that Margaux? No way

  • Margaux nods
  • Argent do I sense any deception in her?

<Argent> (that should have been in brackets)
<DiablotinNarrator> (roll a Sense Motive?)
<Argent> (28)
<DiablotinNarrator> (you think she is telling the truth)
<Argent> ok, come with me

  • Margaux stands to follow you
  • Argent will take her in back to someplace quiet (maybe the basement)

<Margaux> (okay, basement is quiet)

  • Margaux seems not at all concerned about going to a dark basement with a strange man

<Argent> This should be private enough... so can you explain yourself a little better
<Margaux> So... uh... I can try.

  • Argent will take the time to detect good while she explains (SLA so just have to concentrate)

<Margaux> Do you know who your parents are?

  • Argent loses concentration
  • Argent shakes his head

<Margaux> Me neither.
<Margaux> But... I know some things about them.
<Margaux> Mine, I mean.

  • Margaux shakes her head

<Margaux> Sorry, I'm not explaining this well
<Margaux> Maybe I can just show you.
<Argent> yeah, really your just confusing me quite a bit.
<Argent> show me what?

  • Margaux closes her eyes for a second, and when she re-opens them, they almost seem to be glowing like gemstones. You realize that it's not actually her eyes, as such, though, but a glow that's coming from her head
  • Argent takes a step back
  • Margaux 's glowing is quite visible in the dimly-lit basement

<Argent> thats different.
<Argent> some gift of the arch or something?
<Margaux> No, I could always do that.
<Margaux> because I'm different. like you're different.

  • Argent glances around to make sure nobody has noticed the bright light from the basement

<Argent> maybe you should put that out and tell me what you know about me right now
<Margaux> sorry... I can turn it off

  • Margaux does so, resuming her normal levels of incandescence

<Margaux> I know that my parents - that one of them wasn't human. I didn't know anyone else was like me, and the Arch... told me I wasn't the only one.
<Margaux> It showed me you.

  • Argent looks a little incredulous

<Argent> that doesn't make any sense. why would the arch show you me? Are you sure it was me?
<Margaux> It didn't tell me your name, I just saw you. So when I saw you again, I knew it was you.
<Argent> Are we supposed to be family or something?
<Margaux> I don't know. I just know that whatever I am, you're the same as me.
<Argent> but I'm no arch guardian
<Margaux> Okay, well, you know there are demons, right? and half-demons and I guess quarter and less and less... but they have some of that blood in them still.
<Argent> yeah I know about that
<Margaux> We're like that except not from demons. There are ... were... things in the world that are good, too.

  • Argent will now detect evil on her, and he's not going to let himself be distracted.
  • Margaux does not radiate evil

<Argent> (will my K-planes let me know something about celestials?)
<Margaux> (you could roll it)
<Argent> (12)
<DiablotinNarrator> (you can imagine there must be good outsiders too, but mostly you've dealt with/learned about the evil ones)
<Argent> I guess that could be possible
<Margaux> well, a lot of them died.
<Margaux> a long time ago.
<Margaux> there was a war, and ... uhh, it's complicated.
<Margaux> but look - do you believe me?
<Argent> I'm trying to understand, believe me I am...
<Argent> I don't think you would lie to me... I mean why would you.
<Margaux> I know... it's strange, and I've had longer to try and understand it, and I still don't entirely
<DiablotinNarrator> From upstairs, you hear Neva calling your name - presumably your break's over whether you want it to be or not
<Argent> I mean I knew I was a little different..,
<Argent> I have to get back to work... I want to talk about this further... can I meet you somewhere?
<Margaux> okay. At the Hall of the Arch?
<Argent> (can I even get in there?)
<Margaux> (you can get into the main area, it's public - it's just the area where the actual Arch itself is that people can't just walk into. but the main hall is just kind of like a big temple)
<Argent> Ok, I'll meet you there.
<Margaux> Okay. I'll wait for you.

  • Argent shakes his head
  • Margaux leaves

<Argent> . o O (what in the V' just happened)

Dorien looks at weird trees and fungi with Misery

<DiablotinNarrator> Dorien, you've been giving lessons to Misery, and she seems to be doing fairly well, although she still has a lot to learn.
<DiablotinNarrator> So far your impression is that she's hard-working, and she must have had some previous training in alchemy. She can get on your nerves sometimes though, and can be sarcastic and cranky when things aren't going well.
<Dorien_Voclain> (heh)
<Misery> (I'm sure you don't know anyone like that ;p)
<Dorien_Voclain> (Not at all >.>)

  • Misery arrives at the appointed time as usual, this morning, and brings more pastries.

<Misery> Hey, can we do a field trip today?

  • Misery asks once she's barely in the door

<Dorien_Voclain> "Field trip? Where to?"

  • Dorien_Voclain says as he takes a bite of a pastry

<Misery> The Shade. There's something weird I want to show you.
<Dorien_Voclain> ...Define weird.
<Misery> "Adjective: Unexpected, unfamiliar, unsettling."
<Dorien_Voclain> Has anyone ever told you you're a smart ass?
<Misery> Once or twice.
<Dorien_Voclain> ...fair enough. Let me grab my coat.
<Dorien_Voclain> (and my revolver, just in case >.> Rough part of town.)
<DiablotinNarrator> (fair)

  • Misery takes you into the Shade. You attract some glances, as not many non-shadar kai come to this part of town, but nothing too worrying at the moment.
  • Dorien_Voclain will try to look as inconspicuous as a six foot pale-skinned human can in this part of town.
  • Misery leads you to an area of vacant lots, some ruined foundations of former buildings. The size of the trees growing there suggests that it's been abandoned for many years, as they tower over you. It's early enough that the mist still hasn't dispersed, and it's a gloomy looking place.

<Dorien_Voclain> Void, you couldn't have picked a sunnier day for this?
<Misery> Home sweet home ;p
<Misery> Don't you know, my people hate the day-star and all its works ;p
<Dorien_Voclain> Well, we have that in common, then.
<Misery> Why do you make me show up at 9am if you don't like daylight?
<Misery> for that matter, do you ever sleep?
<Dorien_Voclain> Sleep is for the weak.
<Dorien_Voclain> What did you want to show me, it's fucking freezing?
<Misery> See anything wrong here?
<Dorien_Voclain> (Do I?)

  • Misery asks, gesturing to the general area

<Misery> (you can roll Perception)
<Dorien_Voclain> (Hah. 11.)
<DiablotinNarrator> (no idea - you assume it always looks like this ;p_
<Dorien_Voclain> Yes, I see it now. That pile of bricks is 1/8th inch to the left of where it should be.

  • Misery sighs

<Misery> Look up.

  • Dorien_Voclain looks up.

<Misery> So, first thing. The branches are moving even though there's no wind right now.
<DiablotinNarrator> She's right. Although the air is still and calm, the branches are sort of ...rustling and waving slightly, all on their own.
<Misery> Second thing. These trees have some kind of gross fungus growing on them, I thought you might enjoy that part.
<Dorien_Voclain> Huh. I do like fungus...

  • Dorien_Voclain leans in closer to look

<DiablotinNarrator> There's a sort of black, vaguely greasy fungus growing in patches on their bark
<Misery> Third thing, and this one isn't your fault for not noticing. These trees weren't here when I walked by here the last time, like a month or two ago.

  • Dorien_Voclain produces a sample container as if from nowhere and uses a twig to scrape some into it.
  • Dorien_Voclain looks up at that.

<Dorien_Voclain> "Say what?"
<Misery> I mean they grew? appeared? out of nowhere, basically sometime in the last few months.
<Dorien_Voclain> Ok... that is strange. I wonder if it has to do with the fungus. Possibly a growth accelerator?

  • Misery shrugs

<Misery> So... yeah, that's about it. Kinda cool.
<Dorien_Voclain> Very interesting. Very good find.

  • Dorien_Voclain grins at Misery.
  • Misery smiles back

<Dorien_Voclain> I'll make a scientist out of you yet.

  • Misery rolls her eyes

<Misery> At least you didn't make any mushroom jokes.
<Dorien_Voclain> Oh, just wait. You're gonna help me analyze this little guy.
<Misery> I bet you say that to all the girls.
<Dorien_Voclain> Only the lucky ones.
<Dorien_Voclain> (While I'm at it, I'll see if I can take a sample of the bark and a few leaves and twigs, too)
<Misery> (sure)
<Misery> okay, fine. let's take it back to your place and analyze the fuck out of it.
<Dorien_Voclain> You always know exactly what to say to me.
<Dorien_Voclain> When did you first notice this was here?

  • Misery smiles at that

<Misery> A few days ago.
<Misery> But I don't come around this area that often. It's all fungus farms under here, and it smells like mold ;p
<Misery> And before you ask, it's not that kind of fungus. That shit is not something we eat, I've never seen it before.
<Misery> But I guess it could be mutating or something.
<Dorien_Voclain> Hmmm...
<Dorien_Voclain> Interesting.
<Dorien_Voclain> Could you get me some of the normal type? For comparison?
<Misery> specifically from under here?
<Misery> I mean I can buy some mushrooms at the market, but I can't guarantee they come from underneath this area specifically.
<Misery> We'd have to sneak in and grab some to be sure ;p

  • Dorien_Voclain looks around. Is that a resonable proposition?

<Misery> (probably not right this moment - you have no idea what kind of ... security there is on mushroom farms?)
<Misery> (but maybe with a bit more preparation/planning?)
<Dorien_Voclain> Hmmm... probably best to take our chances with the market ones. As long as they're the same species it should be a reasonable comparison. If we need to, I know someone who might be able to... procure a sample.
<Misery> Okay. We can swing by the market on our way back, then.
<Dorien_Voclain> Sounds good. I'll even buy you some breakfast. Consider it a finder's fee.
<Misery> So generous.
<Misery> No mushrooms.
<Dorien_Voclain> No mushrooms.
<Misery> I don't actually like them.
<Dorien_Voclain> Fair enough.
<Misery> Because I'm a race traitor or something.

  • Misery says with a shrug
  • Misery accepts some non-mushroom breakfast and will procure some of the usual variety for study

<Dorien_Voclain> So you don't dig mushrooms, huh? That explains a few things.
<Misery> what's that supposed to mean?
<Dorien_Voclain> Nothing, really. I just felt I owed you a mushroom joke.

  • Misery smirks

<Misery> So thoughtful.
<DiablotinNarrator> OKay, you can head off for mushroom analysis :D
<Dorien_Voclain> (Yay!)
<DiablotinNarrator> And we'll end there, for the moment, because aah it's late and the dog really needs to get walked.
<Dorien_Voclain> Misery will be examining Dorien's mushroom all day long.

Solos

The Ratte Mob regroups

  • Ralf and Evard return, with Ralf still somewhat smoldering.
  • Denise waist at the cellar with ander, sort of fretting

<Ralf> (not in the sexy way)
<Ander> Shit, you all right?

  • Ander goes over to him at once
  • Denise hops up when they come in

<Denise> what happened?
<Ralf> Fuckin' arm has a ... I dunno, flamethrower or someshit.
<Denise> o_O
<Denise> that's some arm...
<Evard> I tried to grab him but he's strong... managed to get free
<Denise> :|

  • Ander is still making sure Ralf isn't more than superficially singed

<Ander> It's my fault - I shoulda planned it better. I didn't figure on him having an accomplice.
<Denise> Yeah, she got away too :/
<Denise> She moved pretty fast up there
<Evard> Well, I think you can figure if you hadn't known he was out there, an' had just walked out like normal, it woulda gone a lot worse.
<Ralf> Next time, cast more spells first.

  • Ralf grumbles a little, but is also relieved to see Ander's okay despite being shot.

<Denise> next time, eh....

  • Denise frowns

<Denise> So like - that's the guy who took out Vairon?
<Ander> It could be. I don't know for sure.
<Ander> He matches the description of a guy who was seen with Vairon before he died, at least.
<Denise> YOu got any idea who he's with?

  • Denise nods

<Ander> That I don't know.
<Denise> :|
<Ander> He obviously isn't too happy someone's askin' questions about him.
<Denise> (Did Myria and Haron already leave?)
<DiablotinNarrator> (I assume they're still there, maybe ensconced back in the private room for more chats?)
<Denise> (fair)
<Evard> We can't let someone get away with that kinda shit, though.
<Denise> no.
<Evard> I'll talk to Haron about what we can do. Whether we can move against him.

  • Denise readily agrees

<Denise> where you even *get* an arm can do all that stuff o_O
<Evard> Even if he isn't the guy who killed your pal, he sure got involved now.
<Denise> that's like.... a warforged arm or somethinn' :p
<Ander> Yeah, it kinda is.... it might be somethin' to look into.

  • Denise says, thinking of Haft

<Ander> Geff might know somethin' about that.

  • Denise nods though she has no idea who to ask about that..... or does she :V

<Ander> Or Haft, I guess.
<Denise> oh yeah!

  • Denise nods

<Denise> I guess we gotta be more careful, like now, tough?

  • Denise says, where 'we' means 'you', meaning Ander >.>

<Ander> Yeah. We should try an' take precautions if we're goin' out. I think here, an' at the cabaret, we should still be safe, an' prolly at home.
<Denise> (and us looking out for him >.>)

  • Denise nods

<Denise> yeah
<Denise> like - what, though?
<Ander> He seems like the kinda guy who'd rather jump you from an alley than go up into a public place.
<Ander> well, like drivin' more places. Not walkin' around where someone can jump you.
<Ander> An' if I do gotta walk somewhere shady, I'll make sure an' cast more spells if it seems risky.

  • Ander assures Ralf

<Denise> oooh?

  • Denise perks up at the whole 'driving' notion

<Ander> heh
<Ander> You know how to drive, Dee?
<Denise> no......t yet? :3
<Ander> heh
<Ander> well, I'll make sure you learn, but for now, Ralf can drive, or I can.
<Denise> can't be that hard - I ain't no bear >.>
<Denise> right
<Denise> (is that.... a skill? How does driving work?)
<Ander> I might be sendin' you or Ralf out to scout a bit more too, before I leave places

  • Denise nods, refocusing on serious stuff

<Denise> a'right
<Denise> Whatever you need, boss
<DiablotinNarrator> (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/vehicles but I have to read them closer)
<Ander> You did good tonight, Dee.
<Evard> Yeah, you caught him a couple good hits, it looked like. He was bleedin' a fair bit, anyway.
<Denise> heard his nose crunch good, anyway

  • Denise grins though

<Denise> don't think he was countin' on that

  • Ander smiles

<Ander> Nice job.
<Denise> thanks!
<Denise> Ain't been in a real good fight in a while - I know that's kinda that point, but it felt good
<Ralf> Let's get patched up an' head out before they decide to come back or anything.
<Denise> right
<Evard> I'll talk to Haron, let you know what we can do. It ain't just about you, anyways.

  • Evard says to Ander

<Evard> You take care, all right?
<Ander> Sure thing.

  • Ander will get some bandages and the like from the kit behind the bar and help Ralf get patched up
  • Denise is mostly useless but vcan hold things

<Denise> I still got that potion too >.>
<Ander> Ah, you hang on to that. We got ones too, but I don't think either of us needs it that much?
<Ralf> Yeah... mostly just surprised me, it ain't too bad.

  • Denise nods

<Denise> how's your arm doin', boss? >.>
<Ander> It's sore... but I'll be okay.

  • Ander is apparently still in the army habit of 'think before you use that potion - do you REALLY need it?"

<Ralf> You don't haveta tough it out, you know. We can get another one
<Denise> (....now I am imagining there were posters >..)
<Ander> (so was I :)
<Denise> yeah...
<Ander> Well... okay.
<Ander> Only if you take yours too ;)

  • Ander says to Ralf
  • Denise eyes them both and then crosses her arms

<Ralf> oh, fine.

  • Ralf says on seeing Denise's look
  • Ralf and Ander will both take their cure light wounds like good little mobsters.

<Denise> there

  • Denise watches them get better

<Ander> Okay - ready to go, then?

  • Denise nods
  • Ralf nods too
  • Ralf will lead the way out


Hettienne and Annyck kiss and make up

  • Nycki will pour you each a couple fingers of whiskey and pass one to you before she returns to sit down

<Hettienne> (she's not trying to sneak something into it, is she? >.>)

  • Nycki 's drinks cabinet is in the sitting room you're in, so you can keep an eye on her as she pours it. It seems to all come from the same bottle, no tampering that you can tell.

<Nycki> (unless she had a glass pre-coated with poison or something ;)
<Hettienne> . o O (Didn't really think she'd be *that* sleazy... I guess.)

  • Hettienne accepts the drink with a nod.
  • Hettienne takes a little swig, eying Nycki.

<Nycki> I haveta admit, I figured if we met up again, it was gonna go rough.

  • Hettienne snorts.

<Hettienne> Coulda been rougher, if someone hadn'ta talked me down.
<Nycki> ah, fuck. I coulda let you hit me one, if you'd wanted to go toe to toe. Prolly owe you that, anyway.
<Nycki> I ain't real keen on bein' shot though.
<Hettienne> You think that's all you owe me, huh?
<Nycki> It's somethin' I could give you. Can't give you back the time.
<Hettienne> Well, I ain't wanna mess up my hands, so I guess it's your lucky night.

  • Hettienne scowls.
  • Nycki sips her drink

<Nycki> I didn't know it was gonna go that way. It wasn't in the plans - least, not the ones I knew about.
<Hettienne> (SM)
<Nycki> (you can roll)
<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+7

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 20 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 27 ].

<Hettienne> (welp, not gonna bother rolling the second die :v)
<Nycki> (nice! You don't think she's lying about that. You've seen her lie a lot, you know the signs.)

  • Hettienne is taken off guard.

<Hettienne> What... what did you think was gonna happen?

  • Nycki sighs

<Nycki> Okay, the orchid thing was bullshit. Mostly bullshit. Someone woulda paid for it, sure, but that weren't why I was there.
<Hettienne> What was it then? Them papers?
<Nycki> Yeah. I dunno what all exactly was in 'em - dealins with crime of some sort, fraud or somesuch.
<Nycki> Evidence.
<Nycki> That's mostly what it comes down to...
<Hettienne> What did you think was gonna happen to *me*?
<Hettienne> I went to the Creux for a stack of fuckin' paper.
<Hettienne> Un-fuckin'-believable...

  • Hettienne shakes her head, but she's lost a lot of her mad.
  • Hettienne takes another drink.

<Nycki> I... they told me that you'd get let off, on account of the evidence disappearin'. I couldn't be there when the guard busted in, but it musta got screwed up somewhere. Regular guard types aren't that good at findin' shit, usually... they were supposedta have the word on how things oughta play out.
<Hettienne> You bought that garbage, really?
<Hettienne> Thought they'd let me skip off into the sunset in Quevallon?
<Nycki> no... But I thought maybe, even after it was all fucked up, they might try and recruit you.

  • Hettienne looks up at you.

<Hettienne> (SM)
<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+7

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 7 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 14 ].

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+7

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 23 ].

<Hettienne> (23 then)

  • Nycki seems to be ... hmm, maybe justifying-in-retrospect? like, whether she believed that at the time is hard to say, but she seems to *want* to believe it now.

<Hettienne> I dunno what I expected to hear... but not that.

  • Nycki nods

<Nycki> you figured I turned you in so's they'd let me off?
<Hettienne> Before I found out who you worked for, maybe.
<Hettienne> Then I thought.. I dunno. It seemed like I was just an easy mark.

  • Hettienne looks down into her glass, which seems to be getting a little blurry.

<Nycki> that ain't the kinda crime they ... we... bother much about.
<Nycki> I wanted to work with you one more time. I... I missed you.
<Hettienne> ...

  • Hettienne feels the tears start spilling out of her eyes.

<Hettienne> Aw fuck.
<Hettienne> My makeup's ... gonna be... wrecked.
<Nycki> aw, don't cry, darlin'...
<Hettienne> I'm tryin'!!

  • Hettienne tries to staunch the flow with a knuckle.

<Nycki> you need a hankie or somethin'?
<Hettienne> Why couldn't you justa been a cunt about it? You know I ain't no good at anythin' but angry.
<Nycki> well I guess I coulda... but like I said, I got no real wish to get shot, an' I know what happens when you get angry.
<Nycki> plus, I felt like a shit about it for years. so gettin' it out's kinda ... a relief.

  • Hettienne laughs or sobs, she isn't even sure which.

<Nycki> I can try an' make you angry again, if it'll feel better.

  • Nycki says with a slight smile

<Hettienne> I thought if I got an answer it'd be.. better? I been so angry so long. Just... sittin' in the joint, tryin' to understand WHY...
<Nycki> I never came to see you. You wanna get mad about that?

  • Nycki offers as a .. peace offering?

<Hettienne> But now I find out it's just some stupid clusterfuck and there... there ain't even anythin' I can do, there *ain't* no answer, there's just... there's just SHIT.
<Hettienne> My life is just a piece of garbage for assholes to kick around the alleys like it weren't nothin'!!
<Hettienne> And yeah... if you were so torn up how come you never even wrote?
<Nycki> I didn't know what to say... an' can't put some of it down in writin' even if I did.
<Nycki> figured you might just tear it up without readin' >.>
<Nycki> tell me I'm wrong
<Hettienne> Might have done...
<Hettienne> But I prolly woulda kept the pieces. -_-
<Nycki> shit. you tryin' to make me cry too?
<Nycki> I still got that scarf you made.
<Hettienne> I saw...
<Nycki> 's a nice scarf...
<Nycki> warm

  • Nycki sounds a little sniffly

<Hettienne> You prolly coulda bought a better one...

  • Hettienne sniffs.

<Nycki> yeah but it wouldn't be the same

  • Hettienne studies Annyck's face for a minute...

<Hettienne> I guess not...
<Nycki> lotta things, I guess, wouldn't be the same

  • Nycki looks over at you

<Hettienne> (SM?)
<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+7

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 2 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 9 ].

<Hettienne> !roll 1d20+7

  • Zola rolls for Hettienne: [ 1d20+7 ] getting [ 20 ] which, after the modifier [ 7 ] totals [ 27 ].

<Hettienne> (27 pls)

  • Nycki looks kind of wistful, kind of sad, kind of wishing things were different... kind of like she wants to come closer but is scared to

<Hettienne> (I'm not 100% sure where she is in relation to me?)
<DiablotinNarrator> (sitting on a chair opposite ... chair? couch? you're sitting on. maybe about 5-6 feet away?)

  • Hettienne sets her glass down.

<Hettienne> Different ain't... necessarily bad.
<Nycki> I don't wanna fuck things up more for you. You could go an' have a good life, you got things sorted out now, seems like...
<Hettienne> Sorted as I ever do...

  • Hettienne stands up and moves closer to Nycki's chair.

<Nycki> yeah... sorted without me. an' you're prolly safer that way.

  • Nycki stands up too though

<Hettienne> Enh.
<Hettienne> Some deformed elf tried to blow me up a few weeks back.
<Nycki> ...?
<Hettienne> So who gives a fuck about safe.

  • Hettienne grabs Nycki around the waist and kisses her.
  • Nycki kisses back like it's a relief

<Hettienne> Missed you so much girl...
<Nycki> I didn't think that'd ever happen again
<Hettienne> Me either...
<Hettienne> Lessee what else happens.

  • Nycki will pull you in the direction of the stairs
  • Hettienne is very down with that

<Hettienne> (so... :v)
<DiablotinNarrator> (some time later...? ;)
<Hettienne> (yes but Ian is waiting for me to watch John Oliver and I've been on here an hou and 45 -_-)
<DiablotinNarrator> (okay. you wanna pick up the rest another time?)
<Hettienne> (or thread?)
<DiablotinNarrator> (sure, that works :)