Diablotin 2 session 68

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 2 session logs
Previous Session 68 Next

Summary

Session

Session date:
Diablotin date:

Prologue

Ysabeau, Martan and Marl

[DiablotinNarrator] Anyway - so Ysa, you have been making arrangements for Marl and Martan's meeting. If you would care to outline what you're doing, that would be handy :)

[Ysabeau] Well, I've been teaching Martan to act like a woman. With Martan we have probably arranged a room at a nice inn like Marl requested.

[Ysabeau] If Martan had a preference for a certain inn over others then I expect it's because the innkeep's in Maze's pay.

[Ysabeau] But even if not, I have concerns about the safety of both men at the meeting, so I sent you an email about my own security arrangements last ngiht - did you get it?

[DiablotinNarrator] yes, I got it

[Ysabeau] And the day of the meeting, I suppose Martan will go to the inn in question, and I will go to collect his Majesty, since Marl had said it was best not to let him know where/when until shortly before the meeting.

[Ysabeau] I mean that we could either split up and meet at the inn, or Martan could come with me to the palace in his disguise and we could all three go to the inn together

[Ysabeau] Does Martan have a preference for how we all get there?

[DiablotinNarrator] Probably the fewer people see him, the happier he'll be ...

[DiablotinNarrator] so he would go there separately, and wait for you two.

[Ysabeau] (Awww... I'll be diplomatic about the efficacy of his disguise since I know he's really worried about being a girl. :P)

  • Ysabeau has got the Emperor then and is leading him to the room, or did you want to talk to me just as Marl before we go to Martan?

[DiablotinNarrator] If you need to talk to Marl first, we can do that, or else we can just go to the meeting.

[Ysabeau] (I don't)

[DiablotinNarrator] ok

  • Ysabeau will talk to them both as soon as we're alone in the room, though.
  • Ysabeau introduces them to one another.
  • Marl gets the carriage to let you both off at some secluded location a bit of a distance from the inn, and leaves his cloak behind - beneath it he's just wearing some old Castalia robes.
  • Ysabeau tries not to look disturbed by memories of him in Castalia robes 5 years ago.
  • Martan is wearing whatever girls' clothes you've got for him, and carries off his disguise quite well, you think.

[Martan] Good to finally meet you...

[Marl] You as well.

[Marl] And thank you both for arranging this.

  • Marl adds.

[Ysabeau] You're very welcome, Your Majesty.

[Ysabeau] Before we get too deeply into things, I have a proposal to make.

  • Martan and Marl both look over at you, puzzled.

[Ysabeau] We set this room up several days ago. Long enough for someone else to possibly make plans. Although you were in Castalia robes Your Majesty, your face is on every coin and I wouldn't be surprised if someone recognized you.

  • Marl nods, listening...

[Ysabeau] It hasn't escaped my thoughts that another Kizer emperor was murdered in an Inn in Pearl City, not so many reigns ago.

  • Ysabeau turns to Martan.

[Ysabeau] As for you, if someone working for Lord Grey is also working for someone else, they might have set something up to interfere.

[Martan] It's possible.

  • Martan agrees.

[Ysabeau] So... a few days ago I made arrangements on my own for an empty rented house. I can teleport us all there with the permission of both of you.

[Ysabeau] It's furnished so we should be as comfortable there as we would be here.

[Marl] That's fine with me.

  • Martan nods.

[Ysabeau] Right then, give me your hands please.

  • Martan looks a little less certain, though.
  • Martan and Marl offer their hands.
  • Ysabeau casts Dimension Door and takes us all to the other place.

[Marl] I'd also like to take some precautions, if that's acceptable to you.

  • Marl says once you've arrived.

[Ysabeau] What do you propose?

[Marl] I can cast a spell that would ensure we cannot be spied on or overheard.

  • Ysabeau glances at Martan - how does he seem to feel about that?

[Marl] It blocks sound and sight from those outside the boundary, as well as scrying and other such spells.

  • Martan seems less and less thrilled with these changes/additions to the plan.

[Martan] I think we'll be fine - after all, our other precautions should ensure that no one even knows we're meeting right now.

[Martan] But if it makes you more comfortable.

[Marl] I assure you that you can leave the area of the effect at any time.

[Ysabeau] I will know if it's a different spell that's cast.

[Martan] Very well.

  • Ysabeau sounds confident, but isn't sure if that will reassure Martan or not.

[Marl] It will take a short while to cast the spell.

  • Ysabeau will use Spellcraft while Marl casts his spell to make sure it's what he says.
  • DiablotinNarrator] you can roll, Ysa

[Ysabeau] (29)

[DiablotinNarrator] Ysa - you believe the spell to be Mages' Private Sanctum, which would match with what Marl said.

  • Marl casts for about 10 minutes, after which things don't look different to you.

[Marl] That should do the trick.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Martan] Very well - let's get down to business, then.

  • Ysabeau lets the boys do their thing, watching them with interest (and to make sure there's no funny business).

[Martan] Your highness - this split in the Hush cannot be allowed to continue. It's a danger to you, and to the Empire.

[Ysabeau] . o O (Your Majesty, love...)

[Marl] I quite agree. But it's developed because of your master's actions, and he seems unwilling to take the steps that would be necessary to bring it to an end.

[Martan] To turn over control?

[Martan] To who? Nash?

[Martan] You know that she's controlling half the organized crime in the city these days, don't you? The Corriveau network - Vescan is one of her cronies.

  • Marl nods.

[Marl] It's been beneficial in some ways, but I agree that she's closer to that side of things than I would prefer.

[Marl] I don't think either of them deserve to be in charge any longer - I don't fully trust either of them, and I think that's rather a prerequisite for the job.

[Marl] You, on the other hand...

[Martan] Wait, what?

[Marl] I want someone I know has my best interests, and those of the Empire, at heart. Someone who isn't caught up in rivalries of decades ago, or organized crime.

[Martan] Someone you know you have a hold over.

  • Martan scowls.
  • Marl smiles slightly.
  • Ysabeau SMs

[Marl] Your young lady would of course receive the full benefit of my protection.

[Ysabeau] (28)

  • Ysabeau raises an eyebrow.

[Martan] I'm not ready. I don't have enough experience, enough contacts yet...

[Marl] So I look for someone else? I'm sure there would be other takers. Fredericia Hartzell would gut her mother for this job, for instance. If her mother weren't already dead.

[Marl] It would be a shame if I had to end my 'relationship' with Ysabeau, though.

[Martan] This is... not a job interview. This is blackmail :p

  • Marl shrugs.

[Martan] ...What would I have to do?

  • Ysabeau is keeping her expression schooled so it's not obvious how pissed she is.

[Marl] I can handle the problems with Nash. You handle Maze.

[Martan] Just so we're clear, 'handle' meaning kill?

[Marl] I leave that to your judgment - if you can convince him to step aside bloodlessly, that's acceptable.

[Ysabeau] And what will happen with Nash?

[Marl] If she's no longer the Warlord, then she rapidly ceases to be a threat.

[Marl] And there are problems brewing in Psyra - I might need a younger Warlord, someone more fit to lead troops into battle if it comes to that.

[Marl] It would be a valid excuse to replace her.

[Martan] You've already made it clear what happens if I refuse.

[Ysabeau] . o O (I'm not helpless, love. :/)

[Martan] You remove your protection from Ysabeau - who doesn't need it, if I'm not in the Hush.

[Martan] So if I refuse, and resign my position, what happens then?

[Marl] Then I find someone else who's more agreeable. But it would be necessary to ensure that you don't warn your master, and that process might be... unpleasant.

  • Ysabeau hopes the Serpent eats Marl.

[Marl] This is also why, and I'm sure you understand, you have to decide now.

[Martan] Do I get to talk to Ysabeau about it, at least?

[Marl] You can talk to her - as long as you don't mind doing it in front of me.

  • Marl waves a hand in Ysa's direction.
  • Martan glances over to you.
  • Ysabeau shoots daggers towards Marl, if *he's* not looking in her direction.
  • Ysabeau turns to Martan.

[Martan] Ysa ... maybe I can do this without hurting Maze. I'd rather... I think he would understand, I don't have a real choice here.

  • Martan says bitterly.
  • Ysabeau walks up to him, unhappy expression on her face.

[Ysabeau] If you think so.

  • Ysabeau takes his hands in hers.
  • Martan squeezes them tightly.

[Ysabeau] . o O (Would you want to work for him? Really?)

  • Ysabeau wishes she could speak to him telepathically.
  • Martan turns back to Marl.

[Martan] Very well. I accept.

  • Marl nods.

[Marl] Glad to hear it.

[Marl] I look forward to a speedy resolution of this trouble, then, and a fruitful working relationship in the future.

[Marl] Best of luck.

  • Martan nods, once.

[Ysabeau] Well then, seems like this meeting is over.

[DiablotinNarrator] (we'll end there, then.. on to Seth)

  • Ysabeau will Dimension Door herself and Martan out, and leave Marl to find his own way back to his carriage. If we're lucky, someone will murder him on the way.

Seth and Vianca

  • Seth will have arranged to meet with Mme Belden at a time convenient to her.
  • Vianca will of course meet with you.

[Seth] (we can meet at the society as long as it is private)

  • Vianca 's office should be private enough.

[Seth] Good morning, Mme. Belden. I appreciate you taking the time.

[Seth] I have a few matters of significant business to discuss with you.

[Vianca] Not at all, M. Argo. How are you doing?

[Seth] I am well enough, I suppose. The last few months have been... disconcerting.

  • Vianca nods.

[Vianca] I have examined the items you and your colleagues brought back from your most recent expedition. Quite fascinating...

  • Seth nods.

[Seth] Have you any insight into them?

[Vianca] My research is ongoing. The cloak appears to serve as a barrier to certain divinations - something like an amulet of proof against detection.

  • Seth nods.

[Seth] Very interesting.

[Vianca] Indeed - it has to have been placed as it was deliberately, in order to obscure its contents.

[Seth] Hmm.. And as for those contents?

  • Vianca spreads her hands, looking puzzled.

[Vianca] The statue resembles the other one you retrieved... though it has an additional enchantnment operating upon it that makes those who see it long to possess it.

[Seth] As we learned, much to our dismay.

  • Vianca nods.

[Seth] It is a construct, though not one of a type with which I am familiar.

[Seth] If we could find a way to examine it without triggering that effect, I would be most interested in assisting.

[Vianca] I would call it a rogue eidolon, perhaps... a servitor of a dead god, now masterless and mad.

[Vianca] It is equally as dangerous as the first, if not moreso...

[Seth] Indeed. And after what happened with the last, it is wise for precautions to be taken.

  • Vianca nods.

[Vianca] As for the third item, I have never seen anything quite like it.

[Seth] Yes.

  • Seth says, but thinking of Emkathon.

[Seth] Strikingly beautiful.

[Vianca] Further study will definitely be needed - at present, I can't even determine what it's made of.

[Seth] I do not know if M. Orecalo or someone else told you of the inscription.

  • Vianca nods, shuffling through her notes.

[Vianca] If this item is a star, or the ...earthly manifestation of one, then it would be a stunning discovery.

[Seth] It certainly called out to us ... or something did, seeking release of the souls of the stars.

  • Vianca nods.

[Seth] Who else have you told about the star?

[Vianca] No one, so far. I want to see what more can be learned about it first.

[Seth] I am very concerned. This Well is, after all, the counterpart of our Arch, and like it, damaged.

[Vianca] You believe the parallels extend further?

[Seth] I do.

[Vianca] After all, by some interpretations, 'stars' in the form of the Rat were imprisoned in our Arch, until they were released.

[Seth] Yes, I think that is right. I also know that Arches have guardians, leading me to wonder if the Well did (or does), and whether it is this construct, or something else.

[Vianca] I couldn't say.

[Seth] I believe it is extremely important to guard safely both the star and the statuette, lest it fall into unseemly hands.

[Vianca] Of course.

[Seth] I have not spoken to our ... new friend ... about this either, although I cannot speak for my compatriots, some of whom are less circumspect than I.

  • Vianca gives a little snort of laughter at 'new friend'.

[Vianca] Yes, quite.

[Seth] I also have further information about the Matriarch Pasith.

[Vianca] Oh?

[Seth] While in the Well, I went ... into the Well, and confirmed that the Matriarch does in fact exist, in the same state as in our realm and the dream-realm, even though, as far as any of us are aware, Pasith was never in the Shadow Plane.

[Vianca] So this inner-Arch realm is the same in all worlds?

[Seth] It appears so, yes.

[Vianca] Do you believe it would be possible to journey between worlds using this space?

[Seth] Honestly, I do think it would be possible, but one would need to be an expert on planar matters. Myself, I am simply capable of returning to whence I entered.

  • Vianca nods.

[Vianca] It was only a casual curiosity...

[Seth] Well, if the Matriarch is to be ... retrieved ... then we would need to find a way to do so.

[Seth] Presuming that this is still what Rab desires.

[Vianca] I think it is, yes.

[Seth] Well, to return to the subject of the Arch, and the Well ... it is clear that both, though damaged, retain power, and that both could, at least in theory, be ... repaired, or restored.

  • Seth waits to see her reaction
  • Vianca seems unsurprised.

[Vianca] I've long believed that could be possible, yes. Whether it's desirable... another matter entirely.

[Seth] Indeed, but regardless, there are clearly some who are interested in doing so.

  • Vianca nods.

[Seth] I am ... intrigued by the possibility, I confess.

[Seth] My expertise is strictly in the architectural aspects, however.

[Vianca] The question is, would it be restored to the power it had fifty years ago, or to its original power, which it seems was much greater?

[Seth] Certainly, if I or one of my colleagues were to make a presentation to the Society, this would cause considerable uproar. Have my colleagues talked to you about the possibility?

[Vianca] No one has raised that with me yet, no.

[Seth] Well, then, you may consider the subject raised. As an architectural expert I would greatly appreciate the prospect of showing the comparative Well and Arch materials to a scholarly audience.

[Vianca] As you said, there are concerns about possible upset that might occur were everything to be revealed... however, I think the architectural elements should be reasonably controvery-free.

[Seth] I would want the opportunity, also, to examine the figurine, if that is possible.

[Vianca] I'm sure that could be arranged, with appropriate precautions.

[Seth] Thank you. I appreciate your work on behalf of our group, Mme. Belden.

[Vianca] And I appreciate the efforts you and your colleagues are making - so many remarkable discoveries!


Ilphere and Ruchard

[DiablotinNarrator] Ilphere, you wanted to pay another visit to Ruchard, right?

[Ilphere] yep

[Ilphere] he said to come back if we decided we were going to Imraen's

[DiablotinNarrator] 'k

[DiablotinNarrator] You make your way into Ruchard's dream-realm, then - and you must be getting better, because you managed to wear clothes this time, even if it's just your nightgown.

  • Ilphere will go up to the door of his house and knock.
  • Ruchard answers the door, and looks quite pleased to see you.

[Ilphere] Hello...!

[Ruchard] Ilphere, what a pleasant surprise :) Please, come in.

[Ilphere] Thank you...

  • Ilphere steps inside.

[Ruchard] What brings you here?

[Ilphere] Well, I have information to share...

[Ilphere] About what we discussed last time.

  • Ruchard nods.

[Ilphere] The vessel that held the blood, in my dream... we found it...!

[Ruchard] Oh, that's amazing!

[Ruchard] What is it like?

[Ilphere] Well it's... broken

[Ilphere] :/

[Ruchard] Ah.. :/

[Ilphere] But it is definitely the same one. It carries traces of the Divine.

[Ruchard] But still - having confirmation that your dream was true is exciting, is it not?

[Ilphere] Oh, very much so...!

[Ilphere] Ysabeau cast a Legend Lore spell on it...

  • Ruchard nods, listening.

[Ilphere] "Borne by the mother of mercy, it nourishes life out of loss. Blood it held, blood it spilled, blood shattered it and blood makes it whole."

[Ruchard] Hmm... do you have any idea what that means?

[Ilphere] The mother of Mercy is Emkathon...

[Ilphere] (I don't think I've spoken to him about her before, is that correct?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (I don't think so, just Kavreshar)

[Ilphere] She is the counterpart to Kavreshar.

[Ilphere] The pact that Thaleus spoke of in my vision was made with her, by Laeken.

[Ruchard] It sounds familiar... perhaps I've read something about her, I can't put my finger on it.

[Ilphere] Oh my, so much has happened...!

[Ilphere] Laeken, we found Laeken. Or a demi-lich claiming to be Laeken.

[Ruchard] ...

[Ilphere] I know...!

[Ruchard] Is he... it... malevolent?

[Ilphere] He seems not to be...

[Ilphere] Not overtly so, anyway.

  • Ruchard nods, uncertainly.

[Ilphere] He seems mostly interested in books, knowledge...

[Ilphere] The bloodline that carries the blood of the serpent is his; of that I am sure.

[Ruchard] Over so many generations, it must be diluted?

[Ilphere] Indeed...

[Ilphere] But my thought is that there could be a way to ... activate it somehow?

[Ilphere] There is more..

  • Ruchard nods.

[Ilphere] Certain of my associates have also discovered the location of Emkathon, beneath Nine Elms.

[Ruchard] Is she alive?

[Ilphere] Some of us... sensed a presence there, and later they explored beneath...

[Ilphere] She is imprisoned, but she seems to be .. less so than before?

[Ruchard] With an Imprisonment spell?

[Ruchard] Or by some other means?

[Ilphere] Laeken declined to specify how he had done it.

[Ilphere] I don't believe anyone has told him she is there, not yet anyway...

[Ruchard] He is the one who put her there in the first place? He would have invaluable knowledge about the process... but I agree that it might be risky.

[Ruchard] Especially if you can't trust his motives.

[Ilphere] His stated motives were to have the favour of the serpent for those of his bloodline when it was restored...

[Ruchard] Fascinating...

[Ruchard] I wonder that Wolf allowed him to continue along such a path.

[Ruchard] The motives of the gods are... inscrutable, I fear :/

[Ilphere] Indeed...

[Ruchard] Perhaps, in some way, all of this serves their purposes.

[Ilphere] As you say, it is difficult to know...!

  • Ruchard nods.

[Ruchard] I'll try to track down where I read a reference to Emkathon... I'm sure I have seen the name elsewhere before.

[Ilphere] That ould be very kind of you...!

[Ilphere] (would)

  • Ruchard nods.

[Ilphere] There is something else I would discuss with you, as well... Last time I was here, we spoke of a possible return visit to Imraen's realm...

[Ruchard] Yes...

[Ilphere] We have decided to proceed with that... If your offer to guide us there still stands, it would be much appreciated...!

[Ruchard] I would be glad to assist, of course!

[Ilphere] Wonderful, thank you...!

[Ilphere] What... what do you think would happen to her realm if she were to be awakened?

[Ruchard] I believe it could persist without her, at this point.

[Ilphere] That is also my belief...

[Ruchard] My realm... I think without my presence, it would cease to exist, maybe not immediately, but in time.

[Ruchard] But hers is populated - so many lives there...

[Ilphere] We have found an artifact that may be capable of waking her.

[Ruchard] Fascinating... :o

[Ilphere] However, the wisdom of such an action is still being discussed...!

[Ruchard] Of course...

[Ruchard] What would become of her if she woke... I can't even imagine how it would affect her.

  • Ruchard looks sympathetic.

[Ilphere] Nor can I...

[Ilphere] Or how she could possibly integrate with the people, the plane that left her behind...

  • Ruchard nods sadly.

[Ruchard] I fear that she wouldn't survive the changes she would be forced to adapt to...

  • Ruchard looks pensive.

[Ilphere] Would there be anything to stop her returning to the dream realm?

[Ruchard] She could conceivably leave her dream and go into another, as I'm able to do. Or, you mean, once she was awakened?

[Ilphere] Yes, if she was awakened...

[Ilphere] Could she return to Andusk?

[Ruchard] Perhaps... it would no longer be *her* realm though.

[Ruchard] She could no longer control it the way she does.

[Ilphere] But it might still be easier for her...

[Ilphere] It would continue with a life of its own, but from a starting point that she created...

[Ruchard] Yes... her imprint would always be on it, but it could take its own path from there.

  • Ilphere nods, thoughtful...
  • Ruchard will chat with you some more before you leave, then.


Guillame and Alma

[DiablotinNarrator] Guillame, you have made arrangements to visit Alma so that she can attempt to scry on Thea.

[Guillame] (Indeed I have :V)

[DiablotinNarrator] Aden was able to provide you with a hair ribbon of hers that somehow got ... left... at his house...

  • Alma has also invited Ysabeau since she will help bolster her divinatory power.

[Guillame] (O rly)

  • Ysabeau shows up in good time.
  • Alma will bring Ysabeau and Guillame to sit in the room which she's dedicated to divining.

[Ysabeau] Good afternoon, Your Grace.

  • Ysabeau will explain to Guillame about how her song can bolster Sister Alma's scrying to increase the probability of its effectiveness.

[Guillame] I see, yes.

[Alma] Yes, that is why I invited Ysabeau this afternoon. I would normally spare her, as scrying can sometimes be long and fruitless :)

  • Guillame says politely, clearly taking it on faith.

[Alma] She's been of great help in the past, singing for very long periods in order to help :)

  • Alma smiles at Ysabeau, indeed grateful.

[Ysabeau] I don't mind; it's good practice for my work. ;)

  • Ysabeau settles herself down with her lute and will begin playing softly when Alma asks her to.

[Alma] As I mentioned, it will be easier to scry for Thea with an image, a possession, and/or a bit of her person such as hair.

[Guillame] Shall I fetch a glass of water?

[Guillame] Oh, yes.

[Guillame] I was able to obtain this from a friend of hers...

  • Guillame produces the ribbon.
  • Alma will take it and set it on top of her notes.

[Guillame] That is; it belongs to Thea, not to her friend.

  • Alma nods.
  • Alma looks at it to see if there might be a bit of hair tangled in (:P)

[Alma] What should I be looking for in particular? Whether Thea is with Felix?

[Alma] (Phelix?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (the latter, yes)

[Guillame] Yes... that, and her wellbeing.

[Guillame] I really don't know what to expect - I've even considered the possibility that she may be murdered and impersonated by Kavreshar.

[Guillame] I hope that is not the case.

[Guillame] And I have no hard reason to suspect that it is...

[Alma] Well, I will first attempt to scry for the person who was born Thea Vermillion, rather than the one who is currently known as Thea, in case there is a difference.

[Alma] Shall I proceed?

  • Guillame nods

[Alma] Very good. Ysabeau?

  • Ysabeau nods and begins
  • Alma will cast Owl's Wisdom once Ysabeau begins, and then immediately cast Greater Scrying on Thea Vermillion.

[Alma] (Working out DC)

[DiablotinNarrator] (k)

[Alma] (DC 27)

[Alma] (Oh, plus the ribbon bonus of 5)

[Alma] (Or more if there was hair ^_^)

[DiablotinNarrator] so 32?

[Alma] (Yup)

[DiablotinNarrator] All right...

[DiablotinNarrator] Alma, you are able to see a young woman with chin-length auburn hair, slender except for a distinct swelling about the belly region that's visible beneath her humble clothing. She's walking in what looks (from the region you can see) like a well-to-do-neighbourhood, probably the Grand.

  • Alma will describe her.
  • Alma casts Detect Evil and will concentrate on her.

[DiablotinNarrator] Guillame, the description sounds right apart from she used to have long hair, and she wasn't visibly pregnant last you saw her.

[Alma] (In case her baby is DEMONIC :D)

[Guillame] That sounds about right... and that's good news, for sure.

[Alma] It looks like she's probably somewhere in the Grand, actually.

[DiablotinNarrator] Alma, you don't detect any evil on the young woman.

  • Alma will detect magic on the off chance she's enchanted.

[Alma] At this point, I could observe her for most of the length of a day...

[DiablotinNarrator] There is magic on a necklace or amulet or something similar she wears beneath her dress.

  • Alma will concentrate on determining the school.

[Alma] (SPellcraft 35)

[DiablotinNarrator] (just looking that up)

[DiablotinNarrator] moderate transmutation

[Alma] Moderate transmutation on something about about her neck.

[Alma] That could be...

[Alma] Something to bolster just about anything, perhaps beauty or strength.

[Alma] Would you like me to "check in" on her throughout the spell's duration, Your Grace?

[Guillame] Yes... it would be good to know if she associates with anyone. Otherwise, it's good just to know that she's alive and well.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] (sec)

[Alma] Oh, I'm sorry Ysabeau, I meant to tell you that you could stop at your leisure :)

[Ysabeau] No worries, Sister.

[Ysabeau] I live to play. ^_^

[Alma] I have also come to suspect that the former aide to the late Chief Sorceror, Evalier Moncaire, was a demon. I was planning to attempt to scry him today as well.

[Alma] Though if you don't wish to remain around for that, I would understand, Your Grace :)

[Guillame] No, I'm happy to remain.

  • Ysabeau excuses herself temporarily... pregnant lady.

[Alma] Once Ysabeau returns I'll begin :)

[Guillame] I wonder if it would be wise to scry Phelix himself...

[DiablotinNarrator] The current Chief Sorceror was able to provide you with some odds and ends from Moncaire's office - quill, inkpot, that sort of thing.

[Alma] I could indeed try. Though again it would be easier if I have a possession of his. We could try, and if it fails, try to obtain something of personal value.

[Guillame] I assume that if scrying Kavreshar would work you'd have tried it already...

[Alma] I honestly haven't, for a number of reasons. I tend to assume that those directly responsible for finding Kavreshar would have tried. Additionally I fear it might draw attention to myself, and so would prefer to at least be in touch with those directly responsible to inform them I might require assistence fleeing...

  • Ysabeau returns and resumes her place with her lute.
  • Alma will check Moncaire's items over and select one that was most likely handled regularly, such as the quill.

[Guillame] Who is responsible for something like that?

[Alma] The Chief Sorceror... among others, which is why I suspected foul play when she died, and Moncaire was allegedly an outsider.

[Alma] The current Chief Sorceror informs me that there are unfounded rumours of him having treasonous motives, and that the bodies of Moncaire and Hartzell were never found.

  • Alma will take the quill and use object reading.
  • Alma casts Owl's Wisdom first, and then checks for the races and ages of the current and previous owner.

[Alma] (I beat that spot roll by default)

[DiablotinNarrator] OK.

[DiablotinNarrator] (just trying to decide who counts as the current owner)

[DiablotinNarrator] sorry - trying to find something in a .pdf, having no luck -_-

[Alma] ('sok, this tends to break you things -_-)

[DiablotinNarrator] (specific demon type whose name I can't remember -_-) Let's just go with: demon (specific type to be emailed later), 857 years old, and prior to that, human 40.

[Alma] Well, this confirms it. The owner was a demon nearly a thousand years old.

  • Alma frowns.

[Ysabeau] It comfirms that the owner was a demon, but not that he murdered the Chief Sorceror, unfortunately.

[Ysabeau] We'd need more mundane evidence to prove that.

[Alma] (Was Moncaire supposed to be ~40?)

[Alma] Well its culpability is not particularly relevant, as he's a demon...

[DiablotinNarrator] (no, he was fairly young... 20s or so?)

[Alma] Well, I will attempt to scry the demon to see if he is still within the city.

[Alma] Ysabeau?

  • Ysabeau nods and starts playing again...
  • Alma casts Owl's Wisdom and then scries the demon who owned the quill.

[Alma] (DC 27)

[DiablotinNarrator] (same DC?)

[DiablotinNarrator] No success on that one, alas.

[Alma] No luck on that...

[Alma] I could still try Phelix... or if you'd like to wait for another day, we could make arrangements.

  • Alma schedules Ysabeau for another day then :)

[DiablotinNarrator] You can continue scrying on Thea, but for now we'll move on to Dom...


Dominik

[DiablotinNarrator] Dom, for the past while you have been periodically entertaining the count of Sephinos, Trevan Rademacher, as per Marl's instructions.

[Dominik] (I'm sure it was fun for the first few days... after that...)

[DiablotinNarrator] This has involved a lot of visits to museums and whorehouses. It gets tiring after a while -_-

  • Dominik stays resolved to show his cousin a good time

[DiablotinNarrator] And you haven't observed anything you think is especially noteworthy or treasonous... so far, at least...

[Dominik] (maybe he is trying to spread a plague in Diabloton by infecting all the whores with some magical disease)

[Trevan] Do you know of a place called the ... Rhenean Antiquarian Society?

  • Trevan asks you one day.

[Dominik] I do yes... I am a member of sorts.

[Trevan] Really? :o

  • Trevan seems surprised, but pleasantly so.

[Trevan] I hear they have quite a collection of artifacts, and a rather good library. Do you think you could take me there as a guest? Is that permitted?

[Dominik] Yes it is permitted, and of course I can take you there... I could introduce you around to a few of the members as well, if you would like.

[Trevan] That would be splendid, thank you.

[Dominik] It's my pleasure

[Dominik] I must admit I am a little surprised that you had heard of the society.

[Trevan] It was mentioned in passing... I forget who I heard about it from.

  • Trevan says carelessly.

[Dominik] of course

[Dominik] It is not nearly as an exciting place as the rest of the city we have visited, or else I would have suggested it earlier.

  • Trevan chuckles.

[Trevan] Well, perhaps only for an hour or so, and then somewhere more intriguing, if it does not hold my interest.

  • Dominik will leads him to the Society and will introduce him to several of the senior members who may be poking around
  • Trevan chats politely with whoever is around.
  • Dominik will try and take careful note of anyone who reacts familiar with him
  • Anstine is doing some reading in the library when you two stroll in, and looks up, seems to recognize Trevan immediately and comes over to speak with him in Psyrene. I don't suppose you happen to know Psyrene? :)
  • Dominik does not know Psyrene, but will try and listen carefully for names (places or people)

[Dominik] An old aquaintence cousin?

[Trevan] Oh, yes, forgive me!

[Trevan] M. Kypros is ... by way of an ambassador here, an employee of my father's.

  • Anstine nods.

[Anstine] I have known the count since he was a young boy.

[Dominik] Nice to meet you.

[Anstine] I have seen you around from time to time, M. Rademacher, but we have never had occasion to be introduced.

  • Anstine bows politely.

[Dominik] Yes, I tend to be aloof while here, sticking to my own books.

[Anstine] I did not know you were in the city, my lord - you took me by surprise.

[Trevan] Well, it wasn't Father's idea. I'm surprised he didn't contact you to tell you to keep an eye on me so I didn't get into trouble.

  • Anstine just smiles.

[Dominik] You've got family to keep an eye on you Trevan, no need to bother Anstine in his studies.

  • Trevan chuckles.

[Anstine] Are you remaining much longer in the city?

[Trevan] Only a few more days, I think. I don't want to wear out my welcome.

[Anstine] Before you go, you should come and visit me properly - it's been too long since we spoke.

  • Anstine gives an address.
  • Anstine adds another phrase in Psyrene, which makes Trevan look slightly surprised, and nod.

[Trevan] Of course I will.

[Trevan] Tonight?

[Anstine] If that suits you, my lord.

  • Dominik mentally notes the address
  • Anstine bows politely.
  • Trevan nods, and turns to leave, then, apparently losing interest in the library.
  • Dominik follows

[Dominik] Is that all of the Society you can stomach today?

[Trevan] I think so, yes. Sorry for dragging you here for such a short visit.

[Dominik] I don't mind visiting, I have a few friends who linger here from time to time.

[Dominik] My regular duties don't give me a chance to come down very often.

  • Trevan nods, but seems a bit distracted, not really paying attention to what you're saying.

[Dominik] So where to know cousin?

[Trevan] I'm not sure... I think I might need a rest, actually.

  • Dominik nods and will lead him back to the palace where his rooms are and bid him farewell.

[Trevan] You've done plenty to entertain me already - don't feel you need to join me tonight.

  • Trevan says as you leave.

[Trevan] It will only be boring family business.

[Dominik] Very well, if you need me tomorrow, you know where to call on me.

[Trevan] Certainly. Good day, cousin.

[Dominik] (who was I supposed to tell about strange stuff like this... Marl directly?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (yeah)

  • Dominik will head to his room initially to try and loose any potential tail, wait 10 minutes, then seek out Marl.
  • Marl is found in his offices, signing things.

[Dominik] Sire, if I may intrude?

[Marl] If you must. What's the matter?

[Dominik] You had asked me to entertain my cousin Trevan, and keep an eye on him... today he did something rather unusual. He asked to see the rhenean historical society... a curious request

  • Marl looks up from his papers, more interested now that you mentioned Trevan.

[Dominik] there he stumbled across an old aquaintance of his father, a Anstine Kypros.

[Marl] 'Stumbled' accidentally?

[Dominik] I highly doubt it was an accident... as the Society is not really a social hotspot or an area of touristic interest for Trevan

  • Marl nods.

[Dominik] The important parts of the conversation were in the Psyrene toungue which I do not speak.

[Marl] Kypros is the Duke's emissary here - he sits on the Great Council when it meets, as the Duke usually can't be bothered to make the journey.

[Dominik] They are meeting tonight.

[Marl] Ah... hmm.

[Marl] Do you know where?

  • Dominik give him the address
  • Marl makes a note of it.

[Dominik] although there was a word spoken between them afterward, again I did not know the meaning, but Trevan was surprised.

[Marl] Surprised? I wonder what he said...

  • Dominik will "attempt" to repeat it

[Dominik] (no idea what to roll)

[DiablotinNarrator] (it was a fairly short phrase, you think you can remember it pretty closely anyway)

  • Marl raises an eyebrow.

[Dominik] (I do have a really good listen skill)

[DiablotinNarrator] (sure, Listen would be good, to see how close you get)

[Dominik] (29)

[Dominik] what does it mean?

[Marl] That would mean... "We will make you a king."

[Marl] So yes, I would say this could be what we've been looking for.

[Marl] Kypros has connections with some of the more radical factions in Psyrene politics, and if he's involving Trevan in this... using him as a figurehead, perhaps...?

  • Marl taps his fingers on the desk, considering.

[Dominik] King would be a direct seperation of control from the empire would it not? Or am I reading too much into this?

[Marl] Not even a little too much.

[Marl] It's tempting to send the troops in and arrest them both, but that would be... hasty. It might be better to eavesdrop and find out what they're planning.

[Marl] I'll talk to the Chief Sorcerer.

[Marl] See what we can arrange...

[Marl] Thank you for this, Dominik. Excellent work.

[Dominik] I would suggest arranging a troop to pick him up afteward... I'm sure word could be sent after you've eavesdropped.

[Marl] Perhaps. It depends what we hear them say. But I'll bear it in mind, of course.

  • Dominik nods

[Marl] If Trevan seemed surprised, perhaps he isn't fully implicated in this plot.

[Marl] And I have no idea to what degree his father might be involved... which makes me most nervous. If I arrest his son and his emissary, it might give him the pretense he needs for war.

[Dominik] Assuming he looks me up tomorrow, I'll try to get a read on his mood... but the meeting was not unintentional, even if the news was surprising

  • Marl nods.

[Marl] Good work. I'll speak with you again tomorrow, then.

  • Dominik nods
  • Dominik will depart when given permission

Solos

Sanadhil and Nycaise

  • Sanadhil will send a note to Mlle L'Averti asking if we could meet
  • Nycaise will respond and agree to meet some time.
  • Sanadhil will meet up with her at the society then, some day after lunch

[Sanadhil] Good afternoon, Mlle.

[Nycaise] Good day, M. Orecalo.

[Sanadhil] Have you been keeping well?

[Nycaise] Fairly well, yes.

[Nycaise] And yourself?

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] The same.

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] I wanted to discuss with out a sort of expedition that you'd suggested some time ago - revisiting the dream of Imraen no Qu'rret, the sleeping Shadar Kai Queen.

[Nycaise] Oh, yes! Have you decided to proceed with that?

[Sanadhil] We have, yes.

[Sanadhil] Princess Ilphere has been researching the best way to do so, so that there will be a much lesser chance of losing ourselves there.

[Nycaise] I see... that seems like a sensible precaution.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] the plan is to use a contact of her from another dream realm to guide us into Imraen's dream less directly.

[Nycaise] How fascinating... she has contacts in other dream realms?

[Sanadhil] Yes...

  • Sanadhil will give her a short description of the Ruchard situation

[Sanadhil] (he learned dream craft and ram away into a realm of his own choosing, ilphere has been in contact with him, etc)

  • Nycaise seems very interested in all of this.

[Sanadhil] I believe the plan is for us to enter a dream of one of the expedition members via her spell, and to meet up with him to procedd to Imraen's realm.

[Sanadhil] But it is not my area of expertise.

  • Nycaise nods.

[Sanadhil] At the moment, myself, the princess and Duke Guillame are planning to go, as well as yourself, I presume?

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Nycaise] If you don't mind, I would be most interested, yes.

[Sanadhil] of course

[Nycaise] Thank you for thinking of me.

[Sanadhil] Well, it was you idea!

[Sanadhil] I know you mentioned you suspected a possibly clan connection with your grandfather - do you thik he might have any interest in accompanyin us as well?

[Sanadhil] (your idea)

[Nycaise] I can ask him. I don't know whether he would wish to or not.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I know the city is still considered to be cursed.... possibly the queen as well.

  • Nycaise nods.

[Nycaise] That is my understanding, yes.

[Nycaise] Tell me... have you or any of your colleagues considered writing a paper on this matter?

[Sanadhil] On which?

[Nycaise] On the dream world.

[Nycaise] I suppose also on your explorations of the Shadow Plane in general, but to me, the dream world is the most fascinating aspect.

[Sanadhil] Ahh, not to my knowledge, though it is possibel the princess has something planned.

[Sanadhil] I know some found the expreience rather personally disturbing

  • Sanadhil frowns thoughtfully
  • Nycaise nods.

[Sanadhil] It is definitely something to consider, of course!

[Sanadhil] I'm afraid i haven't had half a much time for writing as I would have liked lately.

[Nycaise] Yes - I think I might consider a paper, if our explorations are fruitful. But I wouldn't want to tread on any toes.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Princess Ilphere would certainly be the one to speak to them.

[Nycaise] Then I shall do that.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I'm sure either of us would be happy to provide material, if she isn't planning anything specific

[Nycaise] I appreciate that - your experiences are of course so much more extensive, it would be very helpful.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Nycaise] When do you think you'll be undertaking this expedition?

[Sanadhil] it was very interesting - I'm currious to see what will happen when we re-enter

[Sanadhil] Soon, I hope.

  • Nycaise nods.

[Nycaise] Well, I should be available whenever you decide to go, with a few days' notice at least.

[Sanadhil] I thik those who are going are just trying to settle on what we woudl like to ask her, if we do have the opportunity

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I shoudl say that for the moment, we are being somewhat discrete about this plan.

[Nycaise] Certainly, I understand.

[Sanadhil] There are some who would likely feel put out about being excluded, even though it will simplyfy the matter of traveling through the dream realm, among other things.

  • Sanadhil nods, and smiles then

[Sanadhil] Did you have anything specific you wanted to ask her about?

  • Sanadhil asks curiously

[Nycaise] I suppose historical questions.. if she can recall things from before her dream began, that is. And about how she created it... again, if she even knows.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Similar to most of the rest of us, then

  • Nycaise nods.

[Nycaise] I'll try to think of more before we go :)

[Sanadhil] I think some of us want to know if she might want to be woken, if it were possible

[Nycaise] Hm.. what would happen to her, if she woke? She could hardly begin to rejoin society, I would imagine.

[Sanadhil] I don't know.

  • Sanadhil says, quite honestly

[Sanadhil] I have no idea what she would even wish to do.

[Nycaise] Indeed...

[Sanadhil] but I'm curious about matters like... her connection wth the arch, as implied by what we witness in the dream

  • Nycaise nods.

[Sanadhil] it will be fscinating to converse with her in any case, if we can manage it.

[Nycaise] Yes... if it's possible. Whether her control extends so far as to make it impossible...

[Sanadhil] we shall see!

  • Sanadhil smiles again
  • Nycaise smiles back.

[Sanadhil] I shall be in touch soon, then

[Nycaise] Very well, I look forward to hearing from you.


Sanadhil and Dozilva

  • Sanadhil will... invite Dozilva over for dinner that he will make?
  • Dozilva will come, of course :) And ask if she should bring anything.
  • Sanadhil thinks it seems like a reasonable thing? for Couples?
  • Sanadhil will tell her it isnt necessary, unless there is something she might want?
  • Dozilva will not bring anything, then.
  • Sanadhil hopes she will like the elfy food, even though there is no meat :3
  • Dozilva seems pleased.
  • Sanadhil will greet her with a kiss whenever she arrives, anyway

[Dozilva] Good evening :)

  • Dozilva still unreasonably enjoys greetings that use times of day.

[Sanadhil] yes, good evening :)

[Sanadhil] how are you?

[Dozilva] I am well. I made money today!

[Sanadhil] oh?

[Sanadhil] doing what?

  • Sanadhil will bring her into the living room where he has a little table for two set, and will pour her a glass of wine, and one for himself

[Dozilva] The man in the shop downstairs from me needed help selling his scrolls and so on, because it was too busy, and I helped.

[Dozilva] And then he gave me some silver, so that was good.

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] A convenient arrangement

  • Dozilva nods.

[Dozilva] And once he trusts me, he might even leave me there alone.

[Sanadhil] Perhaps if it stays busy he might hire you more... if you enjoy it?

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] that would be well

[Sanadhil] I suppose you coudl make scrolls too?

[Dozilva] It is all right... Many people coming and going all the time, and telling them what they need.

[Dozilva] I could - they have not very many choices.

[Sanadhil] sorcerers don't learn many spells, and fewer bother with scroll-making

  • Dozilva nods.

[Dozilva] I think I could give some that they do not have yet.

[Sanadhil] Wizardry is much more versatile, but humans can't do it, apparently

  • Sanadhil nods

[Dozilva] Why not?

[Sanadhil] I'm not sure, honestly

[Dozilva] Maybe they are just not smart enough.

[Sanadhil] partly lack of training... maybe it has to do with how their star eergy is focused

  • Dozilva says with a shrug.
  • Sanadhil raises his eyebrows
  • Dozilva smiles.

[Dozilva] Maybe it takes too long to learn, and their lives are too short.

[Sanadhil] that could be.

[Dozilva] You could learn, I bet. If you wished.

[Sanadhil] I... have never had the opportunity.

  • Sanadhil responds after a moment, hoping not to sound too guarded.

[Dozilva] Well, I would teach you, but you would have to submit to my mastery, and I suspect you would not like that so much ;)

[Sanadhil] . o O (Gah! how does she keep doing that @_@)

  • Sanadhil just smiles

[Dozilva] My mistress used to like to use a rod on our hands when we did not study hard enough.

[Sanadhil] Learning is different @_@

[Sanadhil] Oh?

  • Dozilva smiles.

[Dozilva] She was one of the nice ones.

[Sanadhil] hmm.

[Sanadhil] Perhaps I'm better off being self-taught, then

  • Dozilva chuckles.

[Dozilva] I would not be that nice, probably.

  • Dozilva teases.

[Sanadhil] You'd find better things to cane, I suspect.

[Dozilva] Probably so.

  • Sanadhil teases back

[Sanadhil] . o O (D:)

[Sanadhil] some day, maybe.

  • Sanadhil smiles noncomittally.
  • Dozilva nods, then turns her attentions to her glass of wine.

[Sanadhil] I hope you will like what i have prepared, in any case...

[Dozilva] What is it?

  • Sanadhil will give her the Cozovod names
  • Dozilva is intrigued, and asks for translations for all of them, and ingredients, etc.

[Sanadhil] the first is a sort of salad with roasted nuts...

[Sanadhil] and then second is a sort of... cheese pie.

  • Sanadhil gives her more elaborate explanations

[Dozilva] That sounds interesting.

  • Dozilva smiles.
  • Sanadhil will serve, then, having been extra careful with preparation and presentation things
  • Dozilva seems quite impressed!

[Dozilva] Your cooking is very ... eatable?

[Sanadhil] (I'm imaging a fancy pastry thing shaped like a chrysamthemum sort of flower, with a chaasy custard center thing...)

[Dozilva] (nom)

[Dozilva] And very pretty also.

[Sanadhil] thank you.

[Sanadhil] Edible means that... it is something that *can* be eaten

[Dozilva] I mean that it is good to eat :)

  • Sanadhil smiles, then

[Sanadhil] Tasty, then... or delicious.

[Dozilva] Delicious.

  • Dozilva agrees with a smile.
  • Sanadhil smiles in return, and will fetch deseret when we are thriugh, which is brightly coloured summer berries in an exotically spiced sauce of some kind?

[Dozilva] Ooh!

  • Dozilva admires the colourful food.

[Sanadhil] I thought you might enjoy that

  • Sanadhil settles back down

[Dozilva] Yes :) Very bright.

[Sanadhil] and, I hope, also delicious.... but that's mostly the fruit.

  • Dozilva picks up one delicately and licks the sauce off.
  • Sanadhil smiles
  • Sanadhil puts on serious face, though

[Sanadhil] Can I ask your opinion on some hings?

[Sanadhil] (things)

[Dozilva] Certainly.

[Sanadhil] You know how I led another expedition to sarakynel recently

[Sanadhil] ?

[Dozilva] Yes...

  • Sanadhil will describe to her what we found - the well/arch, the voices that people heard, the fight, the stuff we found and the information we have about it now.
  • Dozilva listens with considerable interest.

[Sanadhil] We still don't know what the....snowflake, or starflake, or whatever it is, does, or can do

  • Dozilva nods.

[Sanadhil] Whether it was directly related to how the well was sabotaged, or if it was placed there later

[Sanadhil] have you ever heard of anything like it?

[Dozilva] There are stories, legends, that there used to be stars.

[Dozilva] (looking something up, sec)

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I remeber something liek that, from the book you lent me

[Sanadhil] Sympathies and antipathies

[Dozilva] Yes...we do not know if that was written during the time we lived in your plane, though. But if it was earlier, than it would be the best evidence.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Its possible that the star substance from your world was drawn into the well, and trapped there, and that it effectively cut offyour plane form communion with vrag, and with the Center

[Dozilva] It could be.

  • Dozilva agrees.

[Sanadhil] and if that's true... then it might be possible to reverse, if we can learn more about the starflake.

[Dozilva] But I cannot believe that our plane is dying because of this.

[Sanadhil] No.

[Sanadhil] the nature of it has certainly changed, though

[Dozilva] That seems likely. But for worse?

[Sanadhil] I'm biased. I love the stars too much @_@

  • Dozilva smiles.

[Dozilva] They *are* very beautiful.

  • Sanadhil smiles also

[Sanadhil] I'm usedto thinking of them as a source of power, too

  • Dozilva nods.

[Dozilva] The gods, though... they would have power over our people again?

[Sanadhil] I don't thik it works that way

[Dozilva] Oh?

[Sanadhil] Gods have power if it is given, but you can reject them.

[Sanadhil] the Cozovodë reject the gods, but draw power from the stars

  • Dozilva nods.

[Dozilva] I can't say what my people would think if this were to happen. I think it would be very confusing for everyone.

[Sanadhil] I expect so also.

[Sanadhil] It would be....quite a thing to witness, however.

[Dozilva] Yes...

[Dozilva] To mould a world. It would be a little like being a god oneself.

  • Dozilva says with a slight smile.
  • Sanadhil smiles also, and sms @_@

[Sanadhil] (21)

  • Dozilva seems intrigued by the idea, if a little facetious about being like a god.

[Sanadhil] the other side of it is... that if the...starflake really is even just a piece of star substance, the power that it represents in phenomenal

[Dozilva] What do you think it could do?

[Sanadhil] if properly guided? Almost anything.

  • Dozilva nods, looking more wary.
  • Sanadhil sounds like he has only really sort of started to consider the possibilities @_@

[Dozilva] It should not fall into the wrong hands, then.

[Sanadhil] no.

  • Sanadhil makes a note to speak to Vianca pronto @_@

[Sanadhil] There is something else as well

[Dozilva] Oh? More than that?

[Sanadhil] somewhat less overwhelmig....I hope @_@

  • Dozilva nods.

[Sanadhil] Some of us are planning to revisit the TalAntar's dream

[Sanadhil] to see if we cna speak to her

[Dozilva] You don't think she will just kill you this time?

[Sanadhil] hopefully not/

[Sanadhil] We'll have a powerful guide, and we won't be interfering with the dream itself in the same way

  • Dozilva nods, but still looks a bit concerned.

[Sanadhil] we will be careful, I promise

[Dozilva] Good.

[Sanadhil] but there are also some who are seriosuly considering waking her

[Dozilva] Waking her? :o

[Sanadhil] yes

[Sanadhil] I'm not conviced it is a good plan, but they have reasons

[Dozilva] But... what would happen to her? What would happen to all those people?

[Sanadhil] I don't know.

[Sanadhil] Ilphere says it is possible that the dream would continue without her.

[Sanadhil] I don't know about her - it would be a difficult adjustment, to make an uderstatement

  • Dozilva nods.

[Sanadhil] I can't imagine she would want to leave

[Sanadhil] but others are not comfortable with the amount of power she has over the livs of the peope i her dream

[Sanadhil] I imagine there is likely to be some conflict there

  • Sanadhil says wryly

[Dozilva] It seems so.

[Sanadhil] I expect she would have a hard time finding a place with your people?

[Dozilva] I think this is very likely, yes.

[Dozilva] Is waking her the only way to remove her control of the dream?

[Sanadhil] I have no idea

[Sanadhil] Ilphere may know better

[Dozilva] It would be interesting to know. It may not be the only option.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] if it can be done, and we have some idea, it would also involve a powerful artifact, and after she is awake, it might be available for other uses, that could help some of the peope in this city.

[Dozilva] What artifact?

  • Sanadhil explains what he knows about the chalice.
  • Dozilva seems interested.

[Sanadhil] ...and that's another motivation, in any case

[Sanadhil] especially now, with food shortages and another year of poor harvests predicted.

  • Dozilva nods.
  • Sanadhil sighs, then

[Sanadhil] there is always so much to consider...

[Dozilva] It is one of the difficulties of being clever.

  • Dozilva says sympathetically.
  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] Well, then how do you cope so well, my dear?

[Dozilva] Well, I have found that usually even if I am wrong in my decisions, the world does not end.

[Dozilva] That may not be the case this time, though, I suppose.

  • Dozilva says lightly.

[Sanadhil] How reassuring

[Sanadhil] perhaos we will just have to play a little god and start the whole thing over if we mess it up, then

[Dozilva] Perhaps so.

  • Dozilva agrees.
  • Sanadhil shakes his head
  • Dozilva has long since finished her berries, and has valiantly resisted licking the bowl so far.

[Sanadhil] ....wouls you like some more dessert?

[Dozilva] Is there more?

[Sanadhil] some.

[Dozilva] Then yes please.

  • Sanadhil smirks

[Sanadhil] perhaps I'll make you earn them, though....

  • Dozilva seems not displeased by that idea.

[Sanadhil] (etc ^-^)

Sanadhil and Loick

  • Sanadhil has made an appointment to meet with the Chief Sorcerer, to discuss some historical matters relating to his office @_@
  • Loick meets with you at the appointed time, or probably actually a bit late.

[Loick] Good afternoon, M. Orecalo. Sorry for the delay.

[Sanadhil] No trouble, my lord - thank you for agreeing to meet with me.

  • Sanadhil smiles
  • Loick smiles back.

[Loick] So, what were the... ah.. historical matters you wished to discuss?

[Sanadhil] I wanted to inquire with you about whether there are any records available from the time that [court sorc's name under Adrius Blessing] might be available?

[Sanadhil] [Charlette D'Angremond]

[Loick] Ahh... she was quite a remarkable figure in her day. I'm sure there are records around somewhere.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Loick] Was there some particular aspect of her work or her research that you were interested in? It might help to narrow down the search.

[Sanadhil] The period I'm most interested in is around the period of the fire of 2128...

[Loick] Oh?

[Sanadhil] As to the subject, I'm hoping to find references to a powerful magical binding she may have been involved with casting

[Loick] A binding, hm.

[Loick] Have you consulted the Emperor's treatise on the subject? It's quite good.

[Loick] And I'm not just saying that because he could have me executed :)

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] I tried to track down a copy, but found that it had been misplaced in the Castalia libary.

[Sanadhil] I would be very binterested to read it, however, if it was available through some other means.

[Loick] Hm, odd. Someone else must have liked it too.

[Sanadhil] indeed.

[Loick] I do happen to have a copy, as a matter of fact.

  • Loick goes to his shelf and retrieves Marl's thesis, handing it over to you.

[Sanadhil] Thank you, my lord.

  • Sanadhil tries not to take it too greedily @_@

[Loick] It's no bother - you can return it to me at your convenience.

  • Sanadhil nods and will carefully tuck it away in his bag

[Loick] Binding is quite a fascinating spell - there are few spells that have so many variants.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Loick] But I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that, eh? :)

[Sanadhil] (....is he making an entendre?)

  • Loick just seems to realize he's lecturing a lecturer ;)

[Sanadhil] (okay, that's fine)

[Sanadhil] Indeed! Though it is somewhat outside my normal field of study, it is something I have been encountering with surprising frequency lately/

[Loick] Oh?

[Sanadhil] Yes... it started with the matter of the Hell Wyrm released during the Emperor's coronation.

[Loick] Ahh, that -_- Yes.

[Sanadhil] As it was bound, apparently, in a necklace that had been stolen from the Antiquarian society...

[Sanadhil] But, further research has suggested to me that the original binding was likely done during the regn of Adrius Blessing.

[Sanadhil] Around the time of the great fire.

[Loick] I see... and you believe that D'Angremond's notes might shed some light on the event?

[Sanadhil] That is what I am hoping.

  • Loick nods.

[Loick] I confess I'm still learning my way around these offices - but if such material exists, it should be here somewhere.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] yes - I had hoped to investigate the matter earlier...

[Sanadhil] :|

  • Loick nods grimly.

[Loick] The place was left in considerable disarray after my predecessor's death...

[Sanadhil] Disarray?

  • Loick nods.

[Sanadhil] . o O (Its going to have been stolen -_-)

[Loick] And tragically, her secretary also perished in the accident, he who might have actually known where things were.

[Loick] But come - we'll have a look anyway.

  • Loick stands and leads you through a door to the side of his office, into a room stuffed with papers, scrolls, books, etc.

[Sanadhil] o_O

[Sanadhil] My goodness

[Loick] Yes...

[Sanadhil] That is quite a lot of material to organize

[Loick] This is after several weeks of intensive tidying @_@

[Loick] I have yet to engage staff...

[Sanadhil] ...perhaps you should consider hiring a librarian

  • Sanadhil nods

[Loick] Do you know any?

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] I do in fact, know someone with considerable relevant experience

[Loick] Really?

  • Loick sounds intrigued.

[Sanadhil] I can speak to her, and have her send a note to your office if she is available?

[Loick] That would be wonderful, thank you!\

  • Sanadhil smiles considering whether this is a good idea or not @_@

[Sanadhil] oh yes, there was another matter I wanted to ask you about as well.... though i suspect the records will be equally difficult to unearth

[Loick] What was that?

  • Sanadhil eyes the stacks
  • Loick asks, digging through some loose papers.

[Sanadhil] The Chalice of Dawn?

[Sanadhil] its an item currently held by the Imperial Museum

[Loick] Oh, that thing in the museum, with the creepy hand...

[Sanadhil] yes, precisely

[Loick] What about it?

[Sanadhil] One of my associates is stdying it currently, and we suspect that it may date to the perod of the founding, if not even earlier, and were hoping that there might be some more information we could track down regarding the legend, or the chalice itself.

[Loick] Hmmm, possibly...

[Loick] I can have a look around, at any rate, although that's a bit more difficult - it's the sort of thing that could be anywhere.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] If you have the time, I would appreciate the effort.

[Loick] Any previous sorcerer who researched it... oh, my brain hurts a bit just thinking about it.

[Loick] But if I come across anything, I'll certainly let you know. If this librarian friend of yours works out, I'll owe you.

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] I'll speak with her soon, I'm sure.

[Loick] Much obliged.

[Sanadhil] Its no trouble, my lord.

[Loick] Ahah, I knew I'd seen these somewhere.

  • Loick retrieves a stack of leather-bound books.

[Loick] These are some of D'Angremond's records, anyhow. Probably not all of them, she was Chief Sorcerer for, oh, fifteen years or something like that.

[Sanadhil] Ahh, excellent!

[Loick] But it's a starting place.

  • Sanadhil nods, smiling

[Sanadhil] . o O (so much reading @_@)

[Loick] I'm afraid there's really no ideal spot for you to sit and read them - the desk in here is sort of.. buried. Perhaps you can take them to the adjacent office and work there?

  • Sanadhil glances over that way

[Loick] (There is a smaller office where, presumably, the secretary or librarian or whoever would work)

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] That will do... Though if you are amenable, I might be abe to find a place more condusive to research elsewhere.

[Loick] Well, probably the records shouldn't leave here.

[Loick] You won't bother me, don't worry. And if you come across anything interesting, you can let me know right away :)

[Sanadhil] of course :)

[Sanadhil] Thank you then, my lord.

[Loick] You're quite welcome.

  • Sanadhil will set himself up for some light reading, then @_@

[Loick] (ok - will let you know what you find :)

[Sanadhil] (thanks :)

Ysabeau and Martan

  • Ysabeau Dimension Doors us back to the original room in the original inn.
  • Martan seems somewhat agitated, but not totally freaking out or anything.

[Ysabeau] That cocksucking bastard!

[Martan] Ysa...

  • Ysabeau yanks her hair pins out angrily.

[Ysabeau] What?

[Martan] We'll talk about it at home.

[Martan] This isn't the place.

[Ysabeau] He's a sorceror; he can scry us anywhere if he wants to and has the spell. But I know you mean other people.

  • Martan nods.
  • Ysabeau angrily twists her hair back into a more dishevelled updo and then goes over to the bed to wrench angrily at the sheets.
  • Ysabeau throws a pillow or two on the floor with more violence than is really necessary, and twists the sheets up into an untidy mess.
  • Martan waits until you finish messing up the room, then opens the door to leave.

[Ysabeau] You should mess up your clothes and hair too.

[Ysabeau] Not much.

[Ysabeau] Just as if... as if we got dressed rather hastily.

  • Martan pulls down a lock of hair
  • Ysabeau adjusts her clothes accordingly.
  • Ysabeau schools her features, burying her anger under a smug sort of expression.
  • Ysabeau rearranges Martan's dress before heading out with him.
  • Martan will head home with you in silence.

[Ysabeau] I'm sorry. That was ill done. I should have brought him back too.

[Ysabeau] But if I had to touch him I would have torn his arm out of its socket and stuffed it down his throat.

[Martan] It's all right. Anyone watching will assume he teleported away.

  • Ysabeau nods. Which home are we going to?

[Martan] (yours)

  • Ysabeau seems to calm down a little during the carriage ride.

[Martan] I should have been expecting something like that. when he wanted to meet with me instead.. it's the only thing that makes sense.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I thought he might offer you the post as well. It's true, there's no real reason to ask to meet with you other than that. But I was stupid and I thought maybe we were starting to be something like friends.

[Ysabeau] No, I am just a piece on a game board.

[Martan] We all are. So is he, for that matter.

[Martan] And he wants me because he says he trusts me - more, at least.

[Ysabeau] For now.

  • Martan shrugs.

[Ysabeau] What did Maze do?

[Martan] You can't operate without oversight for this long without making some decisions on your own...

[Martan] This is, in a way, a concession to him.

[Martan] If Marl respected him less, he'd just be assassinated. That he's willing to let him step aside, and willing to let me take over, rather than someone Maze didn't train... this is as good as it's going to get, for him.

[Ysabeau] I mean... what did he do to stop being 'overseen' to begin with? How did that even happen?

[Ysabeau] Was it Empress Idaia?

[Martan] Well, Idaia didn't really care too much - she left him to do his own thing most of the time.

[Martan] And when Nash came to power, she basically started to work on cutting him off completely. Subverting his network, his contacts...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Martan] One or the other of them was going to have to go. I guess he decided it was better not to choose either.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] But what did Maze do?

[Martan] What do you mean?

[Martan] He did his job.

[Ysabeau] Marl said the split developed because of Maze's actions.

[Martan] Oh - no, just that he wouldn't submit to Nash.

[Ysabeau] (SM)

[Martan] If he'd given in, it wouldn't have grown so large.

[Ysabeau] (39 to know if he's being truthful)

  • Martan believes he's telling the truth.

[Ysabeau] That doesn't add up. It doesn't sound like Marl wanted Nash to have control of the Hush.

[Martan] He might have originally.

[Martan] He probably thought it would be easier to regain control of it that way.

[Martan] When it didn't work out the way he hoped...

  • Martan shrugs.

[Martan] Look, he had to have given her authorization in the first place, or he would have removed her months ago.

[Ysabeau] Well then he was stupid. Maybe it would have been easier to gain control of the Hush that way, but it seems a very foolish idea to have one person in charge of the military and the spy network, when one's position isn't backed by divine authority any longer.

[Ysabeau] I'm not suggesting that Nash would have tried, for all I know she may be the most loyal person he has.

[Martan] It's dangerous enough to have someone in charge of either, if you're thinking about it that way. He could just assume all power for himself if he really felt that way.

[Ysabeau] He doesn't have the time to watch over every branch of his government himself. That's why he has counsellors. He can watch over them.

[Martan] Yes. And he couldn't watch over Maze anymore.

[Ysabeau] And so now we're here.

[Martan] Yes.

[Martan] There are good points to this, though I know they're hard to see right now.

[Ysabeau] You know more about it than I do.

  • Ysabeau sighs.

[Ysabeau] He didn't say anything about Maze having to leave the city.

[Martan] No. And he said nothing at all about Jess.

[Martan] So either he doesn't know how much she does, or he doesn't care.

[Ysabeau] Jess?

[Martan] Maze's sister.

[Ysabeau] A sister?

[Martan] He's the public face... she does things behind the scenes.

  • Martan nods.
  • Ysabeau seems not to have known he had one.

[Ysabeau] Well, I guess she does it well.

[Martan] She keeps a low profile, they've worked hard to ensure that.

[Ysabeau] So now you'll be the public face.

[Martan] If I can have her to advise me, I feel a lot more confident.

  • Martan nods.

[Ysabeau] Would he be all right with doing things behind the scenes?

[Ysabeau] Or would that gall his pride?

[Ysabeau] Two advisors seem better than one.

[Martan] I'm not sure... I think it would probably be best for him to appear to retire as thoroughly as possible.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Martan] But we'll see what he says, I guess.

[Martan] Another plus is that he does seem like he's going to get rid of Nash. That will cause problems, but it should also solve some.

[Ysabeau] May I go with you when you see him, or would my presence just make things worse?

[Martan] I'd rather speak with him alone.

  • Ysabeau nods, a bit unhappily.
  • Martan squeezes your hand.

[Ysabeau] I...

[Ysabeau] I only hoped I could maybe talk to his wife, see how things have been for her.

[Martan] Oh.

[Martan] Well, that could probably be arranged.

[Ysabeau] Do you think she could help me?

[Martan] Quirille would probably be happy to talk to you sometime.

[Martan] Help you how?

[Ysabeau] If everything falls out the way Marl wants, then I'll need to know how to survive being the spymaster's wife.

  • Martan nods.

[Ysabeau] And try to figure out how to keep our baby safe, too.

[Martan] In one sense, you'll have it easier than she has - Marl's still willing to protect you. I know you can read that as a threat-that he could remove the protection-but really it's a good sign, I think.

[Ysabeau] As long as we keep him happy. :/

  • Martan considers.

[Martan] I don't think that's so...

[Martan] I mean, obviously within reason.

[Martan] But he can't threaten you to make me do what he wants - because he can't follow through on it.

[Ysabeau] You'll have to explain.

[Martan] What do you think happens if he hurts you, or has you killed? Do you think I'll just agree to do what he says then?

  • Martan shakes his head.

[Ysabeau] No.

[Martan] Then it's an empty threat. And he doesn't strike me as the type to make empty threats.

[Ysabeau] So why did he make it?

[Martan] He didn't... he just said he could remove his protection. That would leave you open to other people who might wish to target you in order to get me to do something they want.

[Martan] People I don't have to have a productive business relationship with. :p

[Martan] But if he does that, then I resign. Immediately. And he knows that now.

[Ysabeau] Then he finds someone else to be his spymaster. Fredericia perhaps.

[Martan] Then it's not our problem any longer.

[Martan] Because you're what's most important to me, you and the baby.

[Ysabeau] But if you're alive you'd be a threat to him if you resign. You'd still have all the connections.

[Martan] We'd leave if we have to. Travel to, I don't know, Kholm :)

[Ysabeau] He has teleport circles to pretty much everywhere.

[Martan] Further, then. I don't care.

  • Ysabeau looks a little worried in spite of his apparent confidence.

[Martan] Or we can change our identities, if we have to. But I hope we won't have to.

[Martan] Look... however this happened, these threats were going to be present. It's just happening sooner than I expected.

[Ysabeau] I know. Me too. I was hoping I'd have more time to adjust to things. I am frightened, I won't lie to you.

[Martan] So am I.

[Martan] But together, we'll get through this.

[Ysabeau] We'll try.

  • Ysabeau agrees.
  • Martan smiles.

[Martan] That's all we can do.

[Martan] Look, why don't you come with me?

[Ysabeau] Where?

[Martan] To talk to Maze. I still think it's best if I talk to him alone, but maybe you can talk to Quirille while we're discussing all of this, and maybe after, he'll want to talk to you too.

[Ysabeau] All right.

[Ysabeau] When are you going to do it?

  • Martan sighs.

[Martan] Soon... I should do it now, really, but I should probably get changed first :p

  • Ysabeau smiles slightly.

[Ysabeau] You did really well.

[Martan] Glad you think so.

[Ysabeau] I mean, if you ever get sick of spying you could probably join me on the stage.

  • Martan laughs.
  • Martan gives you a kiss.
  • Ysabeau kisses him back.

Ysabeau and Quirille

  • Ysabeau will have freshened up at the same time as Martan changes back into his men's clothes.
  • Martan will take you with him to Maze's house and leave you in a sitting room there, saying that he'll be back as soon as he can.
  • Ysabeau nods and wishes him luck.
  • Martan departs upstairs, then, with a bit of trepidation.
  • Ysabeau might look fresher but she is still rather worried-looking, too.
  • Quirille appears at the door a short while later, and gives you a reassuring smile.
  • Ysabeau stands up and curtsies.

[Ysabeau] My lady.

[Quirille] Hello, Mlle. Chanuier.

[Ysabeau] (Does she go by the name Olivier or Marcoux these days?)

[Ysabeau] (or Lady Grey? ;) )

[Quirille] (Olivier)

[Quirille] (Lady Grey is also acceptable)

[Ysabeau] Lady Grey, thank you for seeing me.

[Quirille] I'm glad to, of course.

  • Ysabeau looks as young as she is, at this moment, I imagine.

[Quirille] Can I offer you anything to drink?

[Quirille] Or eat? You look a bit peaked.

[Ysabeau] Some tea would be calming, thank you.

  • Quirille will have servants bring some tea and biscuits.
  • Ysabeau will wait until the servants have left.

[Ysabeau] Can we speak freely here?

  • Quirille nods.

[Quirille] This place is well-defended from eavesdroppers.

  • Ysabeau smiles slightly.

[Ysabeau] That's good.

[Ysabeau] Well...

  • Quirille sips her tea.

[Ysabeau] I'm not sure where to begin.

[Quirille] I gather you have some ... concerns about your future role.

  • Ysabeau nods, looking relieved.

[Ysabeau] I was wondering if you might be able to tell me what it's been like for you?

[Quirille] I wish that I could put your mind at ease and tell you that everything will be all right.

  • Ysabeau shakes her head.

[Quirille] It won't. It will be hard, painful, and there's always the chance you could lose everything you love.

[Ysabeau] I know... It took me three days to get up the courage to write him that letter. I was frightened of how strongly I felt for him so quickly, and of how many things could go wrong.

  • Quirille nods.

[Ysabeau] But in the end what frightened me more than anything was the thought that that one night with him would be the only one I'd ever have.

[Quirille] Then you've already made your decision.

[Ysabeau] Oh, yes my lady.

[Ysabeau] Months ago, and again when he proposed.

  • Quirille nods.

[Quirille] I remember that feeling.

[Quirille] Although in our case, I was the one who proposed.

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] You're more confident than I am.

[Quirille] I was more foolish, maybe.

[Quirille] But I haven't regretted it often.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] When have you regretted it, if you don't mind my asking?

[Quirille] ...When I lost our child.

  • Quirille says quietly, after a pause.
  • Ysabeau lays her hand on her own belly and looks rather stricken.

[Ysabeau] I'm sorry, my lady.

  • Quirille nods briefly.

[Quirille] It was a long time ago... the pain is faded.

[Ysabeau] ...

[Quirille] It was a poison, we were never able to discover the name.

[Quirille] I don't know if its effects were what stopped me having any more children, or if that was just bad luck.

[Ysabeau] :/

[Quirille] That's the thing - no one is safe from tragedy, no matter who they are.

[Ysabeau] I know. My parents worked at a factory. They went to work one day and never came home. So I know that it doesn't matter if he's a spymaster or a tailor. I could lose him any number of ways.

[Quirille] Exactly.

[Quirille] And would you give up the moments of happiness because of the fear of pain?

[Quirille] Pain that could - that *will* - come eventually to everyone.

[Ysabeau] No.

[Quirille] Then you'll do fine.

  • Ysabeau nods, biting her lip.

[Ysabeau] What I had hoped you could tell me, maybe, is what to look out for.

  • Quirille smiles sadly.

[Quirille] I wish I could, but it will always be something different.

[Quirille] Anything out of the ordinary, I suppose.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Quirille] Carriage driver taking a different route... an unfamiliar servant in a friend's house...

[Quirille] Most of the time it will be nothing - a road was blocked, a maid left to get married.

  • Ysabeau nods and listens.

[Quirille] But you need to be alert for that sort of thing, because maybe 1% of the time, it will be something important.

[Ysabeau] All right.

[Quirille] People will try to use you to get to him. Your job becomes sheltering him - not just from danger, but from people who want his time, his attention, his favour.

[Quirille] You have to become adept at discerning between the things he needs to know, and the useless distractions.

[Ysabeau] How do you judge whether something is important or not?

[Quirille] It's not always easy to know. Keeping as informed as possible about his dealings, and events in the city in general, can help, but even then, sometimes things will connect in ways you couldn't anticipate.

[Quirille] When in doubt, it's probably best to tell him, so at least if you're wrong, the worst you've done is waste a bit of his time.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Quirille] He'd surely rather have his time wasted by you than by some petitioner :)

  • Ysabeau laughs lightly.

[Ysabeau] One would hope.

  • Quirille smiles.

[Ysabeau] You... live in a house full of servants, some of whom, I must assume, are more than what they seem. I live alone with my sister.

[Quirille] That will change.

[Quirille] You'll have resources at your disposal for protection.

[Ysabeau] I was wondering if I should hire a guard, or whether that would be too obvious.

[Quirille] If you have someone you trust, it's not a bad idea.

[Ysabeau] I have a dear friend - the closest thing I have to a father - who used to work as a guard in the Shambles.

  • Quirille nods.

[Quirille] Then that would seem as safe a choice as you could wish for.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Quirille] Let me see, what else... you'll have to become very good at hiding your emotions, at having dinner with people who've betrayed your husband, or threatened his life, and smiling and passing the salt when they ask, because they're important and your husband has to continue to work with them.

[Ysabeau] I may have an advantage there. A fair bit of my life since my parents died has been spent acting, or as good as.

  • Quirille nods.

[Quirille] In many cases, it's not personal anyway. So don't take it personally, if you can help it.

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] I can try. Or at least hide my anger until I'm alone.

  • Quirille nods.

[Quirille] Sometimes that's the best you can do.

[Ysabeau] If I hire my friend, I will need some premise. I'm just some girl who's doing well for herself in the musical world. What do I need a guard for?

[Ysabeau] I'm not sure how well he could pretend to be something other than a guard.

[Quirille] I don't think it will require that much explaining. You're become quite famous, my dear - perhaps you've had some unwanted attention from a devoted fan?

  • Ysabeau nods thoughtfully.

[Ysabeau] It's a whole different way of thinking, isn't it.

  • Quirille nods.

[Ysabeau] How did you ever get used to it? Or were you pretty good at it already?

[Quirille] I grew up in unusual circumstances. My grandfather - step-grandfather, really - was the Emperor, but my mother was a commoner.

[Quirille] So in a way, I got some of the attention that's directed at the Imperial family, but without all the benefits of security and isolation that they have.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] You had an advantage there, then, in a way. Compared to me.

[Quirille] In some ways that might have helped prepare me, but I was still very naive when I met Maze.

[Quirille] You haven't been sheltered, at least. I get the feeling you understand how the world works.

[Ysabeau] I've had a fair taste of it...

  • Ysabeau agrees.

[Ysabeau] But it's strange, now that I think on it. I think I trained myself to this first as a coping mechanism perhaps: I try to find something good in everyone.

[Ysabeau] But I mustn't let myself do that anymore.

  • Quirille considers.

[Quirille] I don't think that's a bad trait, necessarily. You can't assume the best, but you can look for it.

[Quirille] Keeping a bit of optimism is probably good for your sanity.

[Ysabeau] Maybe...

[Quirille] You don't sound so sure.

[Ysabeau] Just, if I spend too much time convincing myself that someone has good intentions, or at least doesn't have ill intentions, and fail to see the knife they stick into my kidneys, is all.

  • Quirille nods.

[Ysabeau] I have made a few mistakes like that, in the past. The last time was nearly the end of me.

[Quirille] I'm sorry to hear that.

[Ysabeau] It was a few years ago.

  • Quirille nods.

[Quirille] Then you've probably learned since then.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I hope so.

[Ysabeau] Thank you for speaking with me, Lady Grey.

[Quirille] You're welcome, and I'm sure there will be many other chances.

[Ysabeau] I hope so.

  • Ysabeau smiles hopefully.

[Quirille] Enjoy every good moment to its fullest. Try to be glad for every time he comes home safely, every night you get to sleep next to him, even when you want to strangle him for making you worry.

  • Ysabeau laughs a little.

[Ysabeau] I haven't had that happen, yet.

[Quirille] Don't worry, it will :)

[Ysabeau] I'm sure it will. :)

  • Ysabeau smiles warmly at Quirille.
  • Quirille will chat politely with you until Martan and Maze are done talking, then.

[Ysabeau] (sure)

[Ysabeau] (we probably won't talk about babies... ;_;)

  • Quirille doesn't mind talking about babies! She's had ~40 years to recover, after all.

[Ysabeau] (Okay, well maybe we will talk about babies, then. With my charm and diplomacy and all I can smooth any awkwardness over, should it arise! She'll be like a grandmother to the one in my belly, if I don't get poisoned... and if Maze doesn't disown Martan.)

Alma and Ysabeau

  • Alma has arranged to meet with you the day after we scry. That day she suggested that if it's easier, she could drop by wherever you are, when she's going to try to take advantage of your singing :)
  • Ysabeau will be at her house, then - she wouldn't want palace folk to overhear whatever you are going to scry.

[Ysabeau] (Or Laeken)

  • Alma drops in when you expect to be home.

[Ysabeau] Welcome, Sister.

[Ysabeau] :)

[Alma] Good afternoon :)

[Ysabeau] Come in.

  • Alma will, bringing a small basket of fresh bread.
  • Ysabeau moves aside so you can come in. She'll help you with your outdoor gear if you have any.

[Alma] I brought some bread made by Sagesse for you to enjoy :)

  • Alma lets you get her overcoat.

[Ysabeau] Oh, thank you - it smells lovely!

[Alma] How are you doing?

[Ysabeau] Pretty good, thank you. :)

[Ysabeau] This baby has been no trouble at all.

[Alma] Excellent :)

[Alma] It seems like it's been a while since I've stopped by to chat.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] How is Martan doing?

[Ysabeau] He's well, thank you.

[Ysabeau] Excited about being a father. :)

  • Alma smiles.

[Alma] I can imagine what that's like... seeing Danyel excited about a child :)

[Ysabeau] Will you be having children soon, Sister? :D

[Alma] I don't expect to :) I think I'll be taking precautions for the near future.

[Alma] Too much going on.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] So I think for the moment, if I'm going to have children, it'll have to be the will of the Gods.

[Alma] Though I suppose one can never rule out forgetfulness.

  • Ysabeau smiles.
  • Alma takes her seat.

[Ysabeau] This one's the will of the Gods, for sure.

[Alma] Yes, or destiny, if such a thing exists.

[Ysabeau] Aren't they pretty much the same thing?

[Ysabeau] Would you like some tea? Or wine?

[Alma] Tea would be lovely.

[Alma] I'm not sure I believe in destiny, and I am not sure that all of this is the will of the Gods. Though I suppose it might be the will of Serpent, and that might be the same thing.

  • Ysabeau will go make some and also bring out some little treats; she'll put the bread you brought away, too, so you can have your basket back.

[Alma] ... not your pregnancy, I mean... all of it.

[Alma] So I gather that you learned about Emkathon from... Sanadhil?

[Ysabeau] Well, I suspected it was her from the day of your wedding.

[Ysabeau] But he confirmed it, yes.

[Alma] I'm sorry I didn't top in to tell you personally...

[Ysabeau] It's all right...

[Alma] This has all been rather... overwhelming...

[Ysabeau] What was it like?

[Ysabeau] She seems to have had quite on impact on M. Orecalo.

  • Ysabeau comes back in with teapot, teacups and a small plate of treats on a tray.

[Ysabeau] Aside from overwhelming... :/

[Alma] Well...

[Alma] It's hard to say.

[Alma] I was not as "taken" with her as Seth or Sanadhil...

[Alma] As I mostly had to help deal with their fungal poisoning...

[Ysabeau] Poisoning?

[Ysabeau] He didn't go into any details; he just spoke of her with reverence.

[Alma] Yes, the whole area is filled with poisonous fungal spores which seem to act as a drug of some sort. They both became completely irrational, trying to advance towards the sphere.

[Alma] Yes, well... he was under the effects of the poison.

[Alma] I thought that we might encounter some trouble, so I decided to merely delay the poison rather than neutralizing it. That was a mistake, because they started babbling cryptic things and fawning.

[Alma] I tried to stop them so I could see if they were alright, but Seth just walked through the wall I made, and Sanadhil must have teleported.

[Ysabeau] Do you think someone 'planted' the fungus there to make it harder to get to her?

[Alma] I'm not sure. Perhaps? I think it's related to the original purpose of the structure there. It was called... the Odyton, which also might have meant something like "listening place".

[Alma] I've read of primitive tribes using drugs to go into trances or receive visions...

  • Ysabeau nods; she's probably heard of that too.

[Alma] However the whole area was suffused with positive energy, you could smell flowers...

[Ysabeau] How did you find out it was called the Odyton? Flowers?

[Alma] Seth did some research.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] It's possible the fungus simply prospers there because of all that energy.

[Alma] Yes, the smell of flowers sometimes accompanies large amounts of positive energy. I suppose representative of... life?

[Ysabeau] Well, that sounds like the sort of thing Emkathon would embody.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I wonder whether she's working free because of what was predicted by the Legend Lore, sometimes.

[Alma] When I teleported us down, I noticed the tingling in my extremities, warmth, etc. I didn't think that tingling should accompany positive energy so I neutralised it in myself.

[Alma] If I hadn't, who knows whether I'd have been rational for much longer.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] You probably did the right thing. It's good to have your point of view - uninfluenced by magic mushrooms - to act as a counterpoint to those of M. Orecalo and M. Argo.

[Alma] Anyhow... when we got close enough, we could see the sphere, small... about the size of a fist... swirling colours and whiteness. And there was a ringing like perhaps what Seth heard first, that seemed to come from inside your head.

[Alma] And then we were all struck deaf and blind.

[Alma] And that was all matter of inconvenient. The two of them blithering fools, and me unable to see where they were. I had to scry just to see and hear what was going on.

[Ysabeau] A little like Aushinre's spell.

[Ysabeau] Which draws on the powers of nymphs.

[Alma] Perhaps... yes.

[Ysabeau] Only they only blind you. I think.

[Alma] I don't know if it was some sort of intentional effect or merely the product of seeing so much energy.

[Ysabeau] I was thinking that your all going blind and deaf might be a result of being too close to divinity.

[Alma] I've been considering going back... to see if that's really what it is.

[Alma] Well, Emkathon is not a god, per se.

[Ysabeau] Perhaps not.

[Alma] Finding her under the Nine Elms... *my* church... was hard for me.

[Ysabeau] That she was there all along and no one knew?

[Ysabeau] Well, no one knew for a long time.

[Alma] Yes, likely since she was Imprisoned.

[Alma] Perhaps the first priests of the Gods knew...

[Ysabeau] There's been a temple there for ages, hasn't there?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] Yes, centuries.

[Ysabeau] That's what I was thinking. Rhenea is the oldest part of the city.

  • Alma looks down at her tea.

[Ysabeau] Someone might have known, once.

[Ysabeau] You can't blame yourself; we have probably forgotten as much as we've learnt over the centuries.

[Alma] It's not that...

[Alma] I don't know what's happening, or what I can or should do...

[Alma] And I couldn't tell you, considering what I thinking...

[Ysabeau] What do you mean?

[Alma] I thought of telling Laeken, so that he could seal off the area again. But who knows how he would react, and how he would try to bury the secret again?

[Alma] I thought it best to keep you out of it until I had decided.

[Alma] I even wrote up letters to have sent to the Reverend Father in the case of my sudden demise -_-

[Ysabeau] Oh, Alma...

  • Ysabeau reaches over to pat your hand.

[Ysabeau] I don't know what's happening either. I wish I did. I've thought about casting a Legend Lore on myself, to see if it reveals anything about this child.

[Ysabeau] But considering the heartache caused by Martan's - and how it begs more questions than it answers, I'm not sure that it would be any use.

[Ysabeau] I am sort of hoping that Silvia might have some vision of the future that might give us an idea. But if she does, would she tell anyone? Would she tell her brother?

[Ysabeau] Mostly I am just putting my faith in the Gods, and hoping for the best.

  • Alma smiles.

[Alma] (... if a little weakly)

[Alma] I'm trying to let that be enough as well.

[Alma] I'm sorry, I shouldn't mope.

[Alma] .oO( It's my job to seem confident. )

[Alma] Maybe we should cast Legend Lore on everyone we meet. :)

[Ysabeau] It's all right. You've dedicated your life to the Seven, and there's an eighth coming along to mess everything up.

[Ysabeau] Or a first, hard to say.

[Ysabeau] Anyway, I understand how difficult this must be for you.

[Alma] If only I knew whether it was truly going to be a mess or not... I could settle for knowing that.

  • Alma laughs a little bitterly.

[Alma] But I did want you to know that I was only trying to hide it from you until I was sure an angry skull wouldn't arrive at your door and kill you :)

[Ysabeau] So have you told Laeken then?

[Alma] No.

[Ysabeau] And you don't plan to, then?

[Alma] I ... think I've resigned myself to impotence.

[Ysabeau] Well...

[Ysabeau] Martan and I have spoken about this, too.

[Alma] Everything seems to be falling like dominoes.

[Ysabeau] It's true, we may be powerless to stop anything from happening.

[Ysabeau] But we can at least prepare ourselves, and hopefully, others, for it.

[Alma] I *really* don't like that feeling.

[Ysabeau] No one does. It's all right.

[Alma] I suppose everyone does... but I'm doubly tasked with trying to make things right.

[Alma] As a Countess, and as a priest of Owl.

[Alma] And despite all these gifts, it seems like I can't do anything.

[Alma] What if we're at risk of what befell Am?

[Ysabeau] Then we need to get people ready for that.

[Ysabeau] But I kind of wonder if the Serpent hasn't had long enough to get over its fit of pique. Or perhaps Emkathon can talk some sense into it.

[Ysabeau] Those are two of the things I pray for, anyway.

[Alma] I would be completely alright with not finding out.

[Ysabeau] We may not have that luxury, Sister.

[Ysabeau] And by the time we find out it may be too late.

[Alma] I think I'm going to break down and ask what I should be doing...

[Ysabeau] Ask Owl?

[Alma] I suppose I have that capacity for a reason... maybe it's silly of me to have put it off for so long.

  • Alma nods

[Ysabeau] Well, hopefully he will have a good answer for you. :)

[Ysabeau] Me, I'm going to keep pushing for getting people ready for the worst.

[Ysabeau] That way, if it doesn't happen, we can all breathe a huge sigh of relief.

  • Alma nods.

[Ysabeau] But if it does happen, the bloodshed will hopefully be kept to a minimum. :/

[Alma] Would you like to know what I learned from scrying Thea?

[Ysabeau] If it would be useful and not infringe on her privacy, sure.

[Ysabeau] I mean, if the infringement is justifiable.

[Alma] Ah, at this point I'm not particularly concerned about her privacy. She is working as a servant in a home in the Grand, and I suspect she's there under false pretenses.

[Alma] Everything seemed quite normal, such that I tried not to pay too much attention, until she got home and started talking to someone who wasn't there...

[Ysabeau] Whose home, do you know?

[Alma] I'm not sure, yet, though I think I will have to check.

[Ysabeau] I hope it's not Lord Grey's.

[Alma] It sounded like she was waiting for the opportunity to steal something, or do harm to the family. She clearly resented them.

[Ysabeau] Someone who wasn't there?

[Alma] Yes, I couldn't hear them OR see them through the scrying.

[Ysabeau] A Message or Sending type of spell, maybe?

[Ysabeau] A magic item?

[Alma] No, there was... evidence that the entity was there, in the room with her.

[Ysabeau] Creepy.

[Ysabeau] What sort of creature is immune to scrying?

[Ysabeau] Or maybe it has a magic item that makes it so.

[Alma] She talked about waiting "not much longer". Later she asked it if it wanted to feel the baby kick, and asked it to tell her what would happen. Perhaps ... when the baby is born.

[Ysabeau] How far along is she, do you think?

  • Alma gives an estimate (not sure)

[Ysabeau] (Hopefully farther along than me... ;_; )

[Ysabeau] (Don't want my baby to have to fight Kavreshar's baby or something... )

[Ysabeau] Well, seems like we have that much time to get people prepared then.

  • Ysabeau sighs.

[Alma] You think she was with Kavreshar?

[Ysabeau] I don't know.

[Ysabeau] But her invisible friend seems fairly ominous, don't you think?

[Alma] I should be able to find both homes again.

[Ysabeau] Probably good to do so sooner rather than later.

[Ysabeau] Figure out who she and her friend are targeting, then maybe we can figure out why.

[Alma] Yes, especially if the family who employ her are in danger.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] I'm going to get in touch with the Duke of Corcyra again as soon as possible, and then will likely try to determine what her intentions are with them.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] It's a shame I can't make myself invisible...

[Alma] I would very much like to spy on her myself.

[Ysabeau] Oh, I can cast Invisibility Sphere.

[Alma] Hrm... you would be in favour of joining me?

[Ysabeau] Sure, as long as Ser Danyel comes too, in case things go south.

[Alma] If I can determine where she is working, we could lie in wait and I could try to read her thoughts while she is there.

[Alma] Presumably she will dwell on whatever matter it is, cursing the family the whole while she has to show them deference.

[Ysabeau] I could read her thoughts, too.

[Alma] Oh yes?

[Alma] How perfect.

[Ysabeau] Well, Detect Thoughts, anyway.

[Ysabeau] And I can Dimension Door us all out if need be.

[Alma] The version of Detect Thoughts to which I have access is somewhat weaker, so it's all the better.

[Ysabeau] Which one do you use?

  • Ysabeau looks puzzled.

[Alma] Well normally the divine spell is only available of those of the Order of the Wolf and only after some study, but I have been studying a specialty divinatory technique which I think would allow it to be used by a novice priest... and generally the easier the spell is to master, the easier the spell is to fight off by power of will.

[Alma] It's almost identical though.

[Alma] (ie: It's Lv1 in the Truth Domain so the save DC is weaker :P)

[Ysabeau] (okay)

[Ysabeau] Interesting - I'm not as familiar with Divine Magic as with the Arcane Arts.

[Ysabeau] When would you like to do this? And who will be involved?

[Ysabeau] You, me, His Grace the Duke of Corcyra, Ser Danyel?

[Alma] Well I ought to speak with his Grace first, but I should think as soon as possible.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I could invite Martan if Guillame was all right with it, but he may be too busy to come, anyway.

[Alma] Well, if we simply explore her place of employment we shouldn't run into any difficulties, or need so much support.

[Ysabeau] Anyway, if His Grace is with us, we probably don't need Martan.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] When we try to determine with whom she was talking, that might be a different story, if it is in fact Kavreshar.

[Alma] I can also only teleport with great precision once a day. Do you agree that determining where she's been working is most important?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] That family could be in danger; whereas her own residence - who'd be in trouble there, except for her?

[Alma] Do you think this justifies trying to sneak into the house uninvited? Or should we just establish who they are, and spy on Thea from outside?

  • Ysabeau smiles a bit self-consciously.

[Ysabeau] We should probably establish who they are, and go to them a more a mundane way once we know.

[Ysabeau] Depending on who they are are who they're related to, they might have ways of detecting invisible people in their house, maybe?

[Ysabeau] Say if it's Leonien Kizer's house, for example.

[Ysabeau] Or Lord Grey's.

[Alma] Yes, perhaps. But if that's not the case, it might be difficult to determine what he goal is if we try to detect thoughts from outside. Thick enough walls would prevent us.

[Ysabeau] See the thing is, my Invisibility Sphere won't render us soundless.

[Alma] Ah, but I can do that.

[Alma] Though it would prevent us from casting...

[Alma] Unless I cast it on an item which we can leave behind.

[Alma] And it can be dismissed at will.

[Ysabeau] I don't know, I think it's risky.

  • Ysabeau bites her lip.

[Ysabeau] How do we explain if we get caught?

[Alma] Well, that's why we should discuss it ahead of time, in case we come up with nothing from lurking about outside.

[Ysabeau] We'd have broken into their house.

[Alma] We point somewhere, and yell "Look over there!" and teleport away :)

[Ysabeau] I have doubts about the efficacy of such a strategy.

[Alma] The other alternative is that we stop and try to find out what she might want from them by other means... but I assume that would involve talking with the elder Mister Olivier.

[Ysabeau] Maybe.

[Alma] I suppose if I invited them to my wedding, they might recognise me :)

[Alma] All three of us, even!

[Ysabeau] Not me, if I do this I'll be Disguising Self.

[Alma] Then we'll bring the Duke, and then it'll be a Duke, and a priest of Owl. We'll be beyond reproach :)

[Ysabeau] You can hope that...

[Ysabeau] Guillame might have some good ideas about how to avoid any difficulties.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] Hopefully the walls aren't too thick :)

[Ysabeau] Maybe we should all three sit down and try to figure out the least risky method of getting the most possible information.

[Alma] Perhaps, yes, though pinning His Grace down can be difficult ;)

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I think we should, though... I get the feeling he's more geared towards this sort of thing than you and I.

[Alma] Oh? I hadn't really gotten that impression.

[Alma] Have you heard of him ... infiltrating things before?

[Ysabeau] No. But he scouts ahead when we have gone on expeditions.

[Ysabeau] And he finds traps and things.

[Alma] Hmm, I suppose.

[Alma] Though it's unlikely the house is trapped.

  • Alma smiles.

[Ysabeau] That depends entirely on whose it is, I think. :P

[Alma] Well they may not be anyone of import anyway.

[Ysabeau] Perhaps not, but that doesn't make their lives any less valuable than anyone else's/

[Alma] Of course not, but your average person does not need to booby trap their home or have antispying measures :)

[Ysabeau] I agree.

[Ysabeau] I'm just saying we shouldn't assume anything until we know whose house it is.

[Alma] I didn't recognise anyone, but she did spend most of her time in the staff area.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] One thing Thea did say...

  • Ysabeau listens.

[Alma] Something like "When you talk that way, it makes me feel like things will finally be *right*. Like everything that's wrong with this world will be washed away."

[Alma] I didn't like that one bit.

[Alma] [q] Not that I suppose I would mind washing all the evil in the world away... it's just not likely that easy.

[Ysabeau] Especially not if it's a wash of flames.

  • Alma nods

[Ysabeau] It does sound suspicious.

  • Ysabeau sighs.

[Ysabeau] But again, without knowing who exactly she's talking to, or what that entity said, I may be reading too much into it.

[Alma] Well from what the Duke said about Felix, I doubt it's anything good.

[Alma] There's a difference between working for change, like Aden, and being a malcontent.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] The question is: is she a malcontent?

[Ysabeau] Or is she enchanted, perhaps?

[Ysabeau] Or is her mystery conversationalist lying to her?

[Alma] She didn't appear to be enchanted.

[Alma] Her necklace was transmutation, and there were no other auras.

[Alma] The way she talked about the people she's working for was rather venemous.

[Alma] Maybe they're rotten people, but...

[Ysabeau] I think it best if we figure out whose house it is, then think about the next step before taking it.

  • Alma nods

[Alma] Well, I suppose I could always do that first. Put on some big black riding cloak and put the hood up, and teleport outside the place to see whose it is.

[Alma] then worry about lurking about outside later.

[Ysabeau] That might be the best idea yet. I'll lend you my comb so you don't even need a big black riding cloak.

[Alma] Your comb?

[Alma] A magical item?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] What I'd use to disguise self

[Alma] Ohhh.

[Ysabeau] Don't let the world know I have it though, please.

[Alma] Certainly.

  • Ysabeau will fetch it and teach you how to use it.

[Ysabeau] (It's a Hat of Disguise; Verity gave it to me in comb form, though.)

[Ysabeau] (You can turn it back into a hat, or wear it like a hair ribbon or whatever.)

[Alma] I suppose looking like someone else is probably less alarming than looking like some shadowy necromancer lurking in an alley :)

[Ysabeau] Indeed.

  • Alma puts the comb in her hair and tries it out.

[Alma] Uncanny.

  • Alma looks in a mirror. "I normally have trouble doing anything at all with my hair." :)
  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] I'll need it back when you're done finding out whose house it is.

[Alma] Yes, of course :)

  • Ysabeau teases, knowing you wouldn't *not* give it back.
  • Alma places it somewhere safe amongst her things.

[Ysabeau] I'd recommend you disguise yourself as some other woman.

[Ysabeau] Because it won't change your voice or the way you walk.

[Ysabeau] You'd have to practice walking and speaking like a man, if you decided to go as a man.

[Alma] Mm, yes, I will likely keep it as simple as I can :)

[Alma] I'm not very good at acting, I imagine.

  • Ysabeau shrugs and smiles.

[Ysabeau] Well, Sister - do let me know how it goes, will you?

[Alma] I will.

  • Alma will chat about things for a bit before being on her way :3
  • Ysabeau will make some small talk with you before seeing you off?

[Ysabeau] (gmta)

Alma

  • Alma has tried to make herself look like a convincing servant with the Hat of Disguise.
  • Alma imagines she went out to ask Marielle for advice and possibly startled her.

[DiablotinNarrator] heh

[DiablotinNarrator] All right, and then what?

  • Alma will then greater teleport a short distance back from the door Thea first entered in the Grand.

[DiablotinNarrator] So you want to be within the grounds of the house, near the servants' entrance?

[Alma] (Hrm, I was thinking more of a front-street style alley, but I suppose that would be on the grounds of a fancy house, wouldn't it... If Alma can properly conceive of the entrance to the grounds, she'd do that instead.)

[DiablotinNarrator] Well, you watched Thea approach the house too, presumably, so you could aim for the street outside the gates or something like that.

[Alma] (That sounds best then, a few meters back from that.)

[DiablotinNarrator] But yes, it's a big fancy house, it has some distance between it and the street, and seemingly sizeable grounds.

[DiablotinNarrator] What time of day are you doing this, btw?

[Alma] (Probably about one to two hours after Thea arrived, that day.)

[DiablotinNarrator] oh, so you're doing this while she's there. I didn't realize you wanted to do it the same day.

[Alma] (No, no. Later than she would presumably arrive if she's arriving that day as well.)

[Alma] (ie: after shift start)

[DiablotinNarrator] OK. So a different day, and later than whatever time she arrived.

[Alma] (Yes.)

[DiablotinNarrator] All right.

[DiablotinNarrator] You teleport to the street outside the house. A carriage horse shies, startled by your sudden appearance, and the driver shouts at you.

[Alma] !!

[Alma] Sorry... sir!

  • Alma looks around to see if anyone else noticed her arrive in such an unorthodox fashion.

[DiablotinNarrator] It's late morning, and the street is fairly busy with passers-by, so probably yes.

[Alma] .oO( Well I suppose I should have thought of that. )

[DiablotinNarrator] But you believe you've arrived at the right place, anyway. You recognize the gates of the house from your scrying.

  • Alma will take a quick walk along the street to get her bearings and surreptitiously look at the grounds from outside to see if she

recognises the house.

[Alma] (City Lore?)

[Alma] (Or K-nob?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (you can roll C Lore to know where you are in general - name of street, etc. And k-nob to know whose house this is.)

[Alma] (CL 13, KN 24 Ahaha)

[DiablotinNarrator] All right... you aren't sure of the identity of this street, apart from that it's obviously in the Grand.

[DiablotinNarrator] But the insignia on the carriage waiting outside the house's doors is that of the Kizers, so...

[DiablotinNarrator] Some Kizer's house, presumably.

[Alma] .oO( Hrrm. )

[Alma] .oO( Now do I do something ridiculous and try to eavesdrop? )

  • Alma does her best to poorly seem inconspicuous out on the street while she decides.

[DiablotinNarrator] Probably some people walking by shoot you funny looks, but no one comes to shoo you away, at least not yet.

  • Alma tries to find somewhere to step out of sight...

[DiablotinNarrator] There are some shrubberies...

  • Alma does so, and will then Dimension Door to the servant's entrance.

[Alma] (Unless the grounds looked particularly active.)

[Alma] (Oh she just DDs)

[DiablotinNarrator] There is the carriage out front, with driver + footmen, which might suggest someone important will be coming out soon.

[DiablotinNarrator] But other than that, not too active.

[DiablotinNarrator] The servants' entrance is around the side of the house, so out of view of the carriage anyway.

[Alma] (If the servants' entrance is out of sight form the main entrance, which I assume it is, then DD away!)

[DiablotinNarrator] Ok, you are outside the servants' entrance now.

  • Alma looks around again to see if she's been spotted @_@

[DiablotinNarrator] No obvious signs that you've been spotted.

  • Alma will check around her with deathwatch, and then see invisibility so she is isn't surprised.

[DiablotinNarrator] Nobody within sight on the grounds.

  • Alma will then try to Detect Thoughts through the door :3

[DiablotinNarrator] Either there's no one there, or something's blocking it.

  • Alma casts Detect Magic

[DiablotinNarrator] Could just be lead-lined doors or something of that sort.

  • Alma frowns and looks back and forth again...
  • Alma will sneak around to the corner of the house where she can see the carriage.

[DiablotinNarrator] You come to the corner of the house and peek around. Make a Hide check.

[Alma] .oO( If I hadn't checked for magic I could have just read the footmen... )

[Alma] (At least I'm not -3 from armour.)

  • Alma rolls [ 1d20+1 ] getting [ 14 ] which, after the modifier [ 1 ] totals [ 15 ]

[DiablotinNarrator] Well, you think you're being sneaky anyway :)

  • Alma watches to see if she can see who comes out.

[DiablotinNarrator] One of the footmen is just opening the carriage door, as an elderly man descends the stairs to embark. You presume it's Leonien Kizer, though I don't think you've ever met him? But you surely know what he looks like, at least.

[DiablotinNarrator] He is accompanied by a younger woman, maybe around 30-ish.

[Alma] (He came to my wedding :3)

[Alma] (Didn't he?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (oh, maybe so - if that's the case, you definitely recognize him :)

[Alma] .oO(Well I'm sure Ysabeau will love this.)

[Alma] (Was she his plus-one to the wedding?)

[DiablotinNarrator] I don't think he brought anyone ;)

[Alma] (And is there anything about his departure that would indicate whether he's visiting or lives there? I listen hard! And spot! :P)

  • Alma rolls [ 1d20+10 ] getting [ 16 ] which, after the modifier [ 10 ] totals [ 26 ]

[Alma] (listen)

  • Alma rolls [ 1d20+24 ] getting [ 17 ] which, after the modifier [ 24 ] totals [ 41 ]

[Alma] (spot)

[Alma] .oO( I suppose I could just find out where he lives, and go there, and if I wind up here, that's where it is.)

[DiablotinNarrator] The woman seems to be running over his itinerary, listing places he's going to go - so and so's house, then to blah restaurant for lunch, etc.

[DiablotinNarrator] He reminds her that he's not senile yet as he's getting into the carriage.

[Alma] (I assume there's someone manning the gate to let people in?)

[DiablotinNarrator] A pair of guards to open/close the gates, yes.

[DiablotinNarrator] Leonien embarks, the woman watches him go and then goes back into the house.

[Alma] .oO( Excellent! )

[DiablotinNarrator] From they way they talked you think they must be family or close friends - she's not a servant, certainly.

[Alma] .oO( Well that's enough for the adventures of Sister Alma... )

  • Alma will look around one last time

[DiablotinNarrator] OK.

  • Alma then casts Word of Recall to take her home.

[DiablotinNarrator] *blip*

  • Alma arrives in her entryway.
  • Alma takes the modest hair-cap out of her hair and the disguise dissipates back to regular ol' Alma.