Diablotin 2 session 6

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 2 session logs
Previous Session 6 Next

Summary

Session

Session date:
Diablotin date:

Prologue

Solos


[Narrator] The Fifth-month rains continue to fall, though interrupted more often now by days that are clear and warm, suggesting a hot, dry summer will likely follow. [Narrator] The usual fomenters of discontent, the Revelators and the Levellers, remain active. [Narrator] Though their lack of success in the recent elections has no doubt hurt their popularity, the Levellers continue to hold rallies agitating for the people to have a greater voice in government. The radicals among them would see an elected council to advise the Emperor. [Narrator] The Revelators, meanwhile, continue their streetcorner preaching as usual, rain or shine - now with additional hellfire dragons come to punish the wicked! [Narrator] However, the mood of the city is cheerful enough, despite the recent upheaval. It's as if the man on the street forgets about these things so long as his job and home are safe and there's food on the table... [Narrator] (dun dun duuuuun) [Narrator] Alma, you arrive home after services at Nine Elms, accompanied by Marielle, and find your housekeeper Sagesse waiting for you at the door. [Sagesse] Oh, miss, thank goodness you're home.

  • Sagesse sounds rather frazzled.

[Alma] Good day, Sagesse :) [Alma] Is something the matter? [Sagesse] No, no... It's just that the young master arrived while you were out. I was not informed he would be coming, and things are not prepared for him... [Alma] Young master? [Alma] César? [Sagesse] Your brother, yes.

  • Alma looks surprised.
  • Sagesse says with a slight sniff of disapproval.

[Alma] I didn't know he was coming to the city... [Sagesse] Well, then it is a surprise for all of us, apparently. [Alma] Well, it's a good surprise at least :)

  • Sagesse is not usually this snippy, but is evidently under some stress.

[Sagesse] He is waiting for you in the lilac drawing room, miss. [Alma] Thank you, Sagesse. If there's anything else, Marielle can take care of it.

  • Alma will go in to see Cesar.

[Sagesse] Yes, miss. I'll see to his rooms. Please, if you can - find out how long he intends to stay? [Alma] Certainly

  • Cesar is a fit young man of seventeen, with red hair like your own, though his is kept short, as befits a future military officer. He seems to have grown several inches since you last saw him, and now towers over you.

[Cesar] Alma! [Alma] Frere :)

  • Cesar gives you a lazy brotherly half-hug.
  • Alma will open her arms for her hug :)

[Alma] It's so good to see you! [Cesar] And you, of course. [Alma] I can't believe how tall you are.

  • Cesar shrugs.

[Cesar] Military food, lots of fresh air and exercise. [Cesar] The place is looking nice, but dull. You could stand to decorate a bit more, couldn't you? ;)

  • Alma chuckles

[Alma] I mostly just give Marielle a colour and leave it to her...

  • Marielle smiles modestly.

[Cesar] Oh. Well, it's fine, of course. Nothing wrong with the classics, eh? :) [Alma] What brings you to Diablotin? I didn't expect you this way at all! [Cesar] I can't believe you didn't ask me to come when the Great Council met. I had to make my own way here and everything! At least I've made it in time for the balls and so forth. [Alma] Well... it wasn't exactly a /party/... [Cesar] No, but now it will be!

  • Cesar has been studying for several years at the military academy in Caulderon, in the duchy of Marignane. You were under the impression that he still had at least another year before completing his training.

[Alma] Is the academy on leave? [Cesar] Ah, no... [Cesar] I've learned everything I need from them.

  • Cesar says dismissively.

[Alma] ... [Alma] You left your studies? :( [Cesar] Not in so many words... [Cesar] But my commission in the army is assured. What else do I need, really? [Cesar] It's not as if there's a war going on, heh.

  • Alma frowns a little.

[Cesar] Oh, don't worry :p [Alma] Do you ... do you just need some time to think? To stretch your limbs? [Cesar] I need some time to enjoy myself :p [Cesar] So, you're still doing that whole priest business? Seriously? [Alma] :o [Alma] What do you mean?! [Alma] Of course I am! [Cesar] Nothing, nothing. I just... you actually lead services, at some little church? [Alma] Sometimes, yes, though I fill other roles more often. [Alma] ... [Cesar] I'm sure it's fascinating and all, but isn't it more important for us to be at court? [Alma] I attend to those duties as well, brother. [Cesar] With a new emperor, now's the chance to get into his good graces early, position ourselves for further honours. And the benefit of our people, of course.

  • Cesar adds as an afterthought.

[Alma] I'm not sure what you think I could be doing to ingratiate him to us... a comté on the other side of Marignane, House Owl at that. [Cesar] Well, perhaps you're not best suited to the ingratiating roll. But fortunately, now I'm here :)

  • Sagesse enters the room.

[Alma] So you mean to *stay*? [Cesar] Until I get bored, or run out of town by angry fathers ;) [Alma] César!

  • Sagesse frowns at that.
  • Cesar just laughs.
  • Alma looks scandalised.

[Sagesse] The Count of Childress has arrived, milady. [Cesar] Excellent! Show him in :)

  • Cesar replies for you.
  • Sagesse pointedly waits for you to reply.
  • Alma is momentarily speechless.

[Alma] Yes, of course Sagesse... sent the Count in.

  • Sagesse bobs a curtsey and goes to do so.\
  • Marielle is now known as Patric
  • Alma will greet the Count.

[Sagesse] The Count of Childress, milady.

  • Sagesse announces formally.
  • Patric Arguelles is a slim gentleman in his mid-twenties, not especially tall but quite handsome and certainly well-dressed.
  • Alma nods politely.

[Alma] Count

  • Patric bows politely to you.

[Patric] Lady Alma - or should I say Sister? [Alma] Either is fine :)

  • Patric smiles.

[Patric] It is a pleasure to see you again, it has been far too long. [Alma] And you :) [Alma] I see you've made the acquaintance of my brother, César [Patric] Oh yes, I know César :) We got your message this morning, Cé. We shall have to welcome you properly to Diablotin! [Patric] I don't mean to rush out on you, Lady Alma. We must meet again, when I have greater leisure to sit and catch up :)

  • Cesar is already getting his coat on.

[Alma] Of course, Count. :) .oO( :| ) [Patric] Please - Patric is fine :) [Patric] You outrank me, after all, you may condescend to your hearts' content ;) [Alma] (... I do?) [Narrator] (your land's better than his ;) [Alma] (Oh, heh.) [Narrator] (you do in fact have the same title, though, so he's exaggerating ;) [Narrator] (or flirting, one or the other) [Alma] Well, I imagine I'll be seeing much more of you now, Patric, so it's good to be on familiar terms :) [Patric] Indeed :) [Cesar] Right, I'm ready. [Patric] Everyone else is in the carriage. [Cesar] Don't wait up, Alma :) [Alma] Goodbye :]

  • Patric takes your hand to kiss it.

[Patric] Farewell, Sister.

  • Alma nods her head politely.

[Alma] Take good care of my brother :)

  • Alma means that, if nothing else in the past five minutes...

[Patric] We'll see what we can do. The city holds many temptations for a sheltered youth...

  • Cesar laughs.

[Alma] Well just make sure I don't have to drag him to Sister Beatrix for an intervention :| [Patric] Centre forfend! :) [Alma] :|

  • Patric and your brother depart. You can hear the rowdy laughter of young men from outside.
  • Alma waits until they're outside and rushes to the window to see who is in the carriage.
  • Alma files their faces away somewhere safe.

[Narrator] The carriage bears the Arguelles crest - an owl with an unfurled banner in its talons, with a star on the banner indicating the Count of Childress. You believe Patric's brother Ruston is also in the carriage, but you can't get a clear look at the others.

  • Alma slumps down in the nearest seat.
  • Marielle will get you a soothing cup of tea.
  • Alma clutches it gratefully.

[Alma] You'd best tell Sagesse to expect him for some time, Marielle. [Marielle] Very well, miss. [Alma] .oO( Oh Gods... I'm no mother... )


[Narrator] Ysabeau, Murienne has been both excited and nervous about your promised visit to the Shambles to locate her friend Dessa Underdown.

  • Sagesse is now known as Murienne

[Narrator] On a day when the skies seem likely to be clear, you set out on your excursion.

  • Ysabeau prepares herself by dressing in some of her older clothes so she won't stand out too much in the Shambles! :o
  • Murienne does as well.

[Narrator] The familiar sights and sounds of the Shambles bring many memories back, no doubt to your sister as well as to you. [Ysabeau] :/ [Narrator] A rag-and-bone man pushes his cart along the narrow alleyway. Although it's early in the day, there is already a drunk lying half-propped up against the wall. [Narrator] On the other corner, a pair of whores stand idly waiting, probably mother and daughter by the looks of them. The younger one is scrawny and no more than your sister's age, the elder looks aged beyond her years.

  • Murienne looks away, saddened and, perhaps, guilty.
  • Ysabeau gives Murienne a reassuring squeeze around the shoulders, grateful that she was spared that girl's fate.

[Ysabeau] It's harder than I thought. [Murienne] I know... I want to give them something, but I know we can't help all of them.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Until I gain financial independence, there's little I can do for *any* of them... [Murienne] There should be more places like Altheo's, that would be safe for them to go.

  • Ysabeau sighs. She does rely too much on Verity and wishes her musical career would take off so she could pay Murienne and her way through life on her own.

[Ysabeau] Yeah... if the boys and girls were willing to go there. [Murienne] Why wouldn't they? [Ysabeau] Well, remember me? [Murienne] Yes... [Ysabeau] It took my almost dying before I decided that yeah, I needed help. I couldn't do this on my own.

  • Murienne nods.

[Murienne] I hope Dessa's all right :/ [Ysabeau] Me, too. [Murienne] Dessa used to come with me to Hettie's... Maybe that would be a good place to start. It'd be nice to see Hettie again anyway :) [Ysabeau] I was thinking the same thing. I thought we might have lunch at her place. [Murienne] I'd like that :) [Narrator] Streets in the Shambles only occasionally have formal names, and even when they do it can be difficult to determine whether you're still on the street you thought you were on, with all the twists and turns. However, the two of you know your way around pretty well, despite a few changes here and there since the last time you were in the neighbourhood. [Narrator] Hettie's place, the Frying Pan, is a small but relatively well-maintained tavern on Fire Street, so called because the Great Fire of 2128 reached it but spread no further north. [Narrator] Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire, ha ha. The joke's been made a million times, but that doesn't stop anyone. [Ysabeau] Only, I hope she won't think we've risen above ourselves... [Murienne] Hettie wouldn't be like that. [Ysabeau] I hope not. I probably worry too much.

  • Murienne squeezes your hand.
  • Ysabeau smiles down at her, grateful for the sisterly support.

[Ysabeau] All right! Ready? I'm looking forward to some of her stew in a bread trencher. [Murienne] I'm ready!

  • Ysabeau pushes open the door to The Frying Pan.
  • Murienne follows you in.
  • Hettie is chatting with a patron when you enter, and filling a glass of beer
  • Hettie looks over and smiles broadly when she sees you both
  • Ysabeau smiles broadly back, reassured by the welcome.

[Hettie] Look who the cat dragged in! [Ysabeau] Must be a big cat! [Hettie] Well this is the shambles, dear ;)

  • Murienne giggles.

[Hettie] How have you been - you both look well. [Ysabeau] Yeah, and it's the rats that are huge, here. ^-^ [Ysabeau] I've been well, thank you. :)

  • Ysabeau allows Murienne to answer for herself.

[Murienne] I'm very well, thank you.

  • Hettie passes her customer his drink

[Murienne] The cats grow bigger from eating the huge rats, maybe.

  • Ysabeau giggles.

[Hettie] Something like that, yes. What can I get for you? [Ysabeau] How have *you* been, Hettie? [Hettie] Oh, well, same old, I supose, more or less.

  • Ysabeau smiles and takes a seat at the bar. It feels a little weird being a customer and not a charity case.
  • Murienne will sit as well.

[Ysabeau] Well, for me, I'd *love* some of your stew in abread trencher, if you have it today. [Murienne] Beer and stew, please :) [Hettie] I think we can manage that.

  • Ysabeau glances at Murienne, surprised. Beer? ^-^
  • Hettie will procure the food, and beer for Muri

[Murienne] I missed your beer, Hettie :) [Murienne] They don't make it the same anywhere else. [Hettie] I use just the right touch of rat piss. hat the problem with the others, you know. they just don't know when to say 'when."

  • Murienne laughs.
  • Ysabeau does also.

[Hettie] So, is this a social call?

  • Hettie looks around, sees no one else requiring her immediate attention, and freshens her own mug

[Ysabeau] Indeed it is, but we're also tying it into a mission.

  • Ysabeau glances at Murienne to see if she wants to explain.

[Hettie] A mission, eh?

  • Murienne is eating, but nods to you to go ahead.
  • Hettie also looks to Muri, but then back to Ys.

[Ysabeau] We're looking for Dessa, and we thought this might be a good place to start, as well as spend some time with you, and fill our bellies. [Hettie] Ahhh.... [Hettie] :/

  • Hettie sighs

[Hettie] That girl.

  • Hettie shakes her head

[Ysabeau] What happened? [Murienne] Is she all right?

  • Ysabeau is a bit alarmed.

[Hettie] She's off running with Ninon de Quercy's gang :/ [Hettie] Offered her a job here, even, but no, she thinks she can do better on the other side of the law.. [Hettie] her and Garlan :/ [Ysabeau] (and what do I know about them? That's the gang of lesbians that some other PC was trying to get information from, right? Anything else?) [Ysabeau] (And who is Garlan?) [Hettie] (Garlan is my son) [Hettie] (I don't know what you woudl knwo about Ninon de Quercy in game though, oher than what Altheo may have told you) [Narrator] (Yeah, you would remember Garlan, he's a few years older than you.) [Narrator] (Ninon's name was mentioned in Vianca's talk.) [Ysabeau] (Well, I have City Lore, and lived in the Shambles for the largest portion of my life) [Narrator] You can make a CL check. [Ysabeau] (ok) [Ysabeau] (24) [Narrator] You have heard of them - they were just getting started around the time you left the Shambles. Ninon's gang are thieves, mostly of the petty variety, almost all young and female. Their HQ is the Bonemire, as far as you know. You don't know too much about them beyond that. [Ysabeau] Oh. I'm sorry to hear it...

  • Ysabeau glances at Murienne, to see how she's taking the news.

[Hettie] I don't know

  • Murienne looks concerned.

[Hettie] They've managed to keep their noses pretty clean so far, for all that everyone knows what they’re up to. [Hettie] but how long can that last? [Hettie] It isn't like they don't both have other opportunities... *especially* Garlan.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Hettie] I'm sorry dears, I didn't mean to upset you. I really haven’t seen to much of Dessa lately, though [Ysabeau] Well, it wasn't so long ago that I myself believed I knew what was best for me and no one could tell me otherwise... maybe it's just a phase. [Hettie] Well, I hope so.

  • Ysabeau says, attempting to convince herself as much as anyone else.

[Hettie] I just hope they get over it before they get burned.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Well, that makes things a little more complicated. [Murienne] Garlan always liked you, Ysa - maybe you can persuade him to come around ;)

  • Hettie chuckles
  • Ysabeau raises an eyebrow.

[Murienne] I didn't mean like that.

  • Ysabeau grins.
  • Murienne looks embarassed.

[Hettie] I reckon she's got a lot of competition at the moment [Hettie] Most of that lot are girls... [Murienne] Oh. [Hettie] I can see the appeal for a young man, in any case -_-

  • Murienne studies her food intently.

[Hettie] I'm just teasing, Muri [Ysabeau] . o O (Awwwww... she likes him? ^-^) [Murienne] I just hope Dessa's not doing that. [Hettie] No no... [Ysabeau] Well, Muri... I'm still willing to try to get in touch with her but I admit I'm a little anxious about taking you into the Bonemire. [Ysabeau] We're going to have to think about this.

  • Hettie nods
  • Murienne gives a grudging nod.

[Hettie] it is a dangerous spot

  • Hettie cautions

[Ysabeau] Hettie, do they wear anything to mark them? [Ysabeau] Quercy's gang? [Hettie] (Do they? that I woudl know of?) [Ysabeau] Or do Garlan or Dessa ever come by to visit? [Narrator] (you don't know of anything like that. But Garlan at least does come by from time to time.)

  • Ysabeau is trying to think of how to get a message to Dessa.

[Hettie] Garlan does - hasn't forgotten me yet, in any case ;)

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Hettie] But I don't think they have a mark, no. [Ysabeau] How could anyone forget you?

  • Ysabeau says fondly.

[Ysabeau] All right... Well, do you think you could ask him to pass a message along to Dessa the next time you see him? [Hettie] Of course

  • Ysabeau turns to Murienne.
  • Hettie listens

[Ysabeau] What would you like to say to her? [Murienne] Just tell her that I miss her, and that she should come to visit us if she has the time.

  • Murienne also gives your new address.
  • Ysabeau nods, and takes something out of her purse to write the address on.
  • Hettie looks it over

[Ysabeau] Here. [Hettie] I'll be sure to pass it along.

  • Hettie takes it

[Ysabeau] Thank you. [Murienne] Yes, thank you.

  • Ysabeau is pretty disappointed that she has failed Murienne.
  • Murienne doesn't seem *too* disappointed.

[Hettie] . o ( maybe with a side of 'warning not to take advantage of old friends' -_- ) [Hettie] so, then, tell me, how have you two ben making out? [Ysabeau] Pretty good... [Ysabeau] I think we're still trying to get adjusted, though.

  • Hettie changes the topic

[Hettie] details, details!

  • Hettie prompts
  • Ysabeau takes a deep breath, trying to sort out her thoughts.

[Ysabeau] Well, we live on our own in a house in Pearl City, now. I'm attending classes at the Castalia, and I play music with three others (we're The Vallon Consort). I hope eventually to be able to make a living as a musician so we can pay the rent ourselves. [Hettie] Oh? [Ysabeau] I'm studying history and music. Murienne's in school too and eventually she ought to be able to go to the Castalia too, if that's what she wants. [Hettie] Classes at the Castillia, is it? Well done, ys.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] We've got a long way to go, yet. But we're trying hard. [Hettie] how are you making rent these days?

  • Hettie asks somewhat carefully, sounding concerned

[Ysabeau] My love is helping us out. That's part of the reason I want to do well with my music - I think this arrangement could eventually put strain on our relationship, and I don't want that. [Hettie] (Do I know about your relatinship? or much about it - up to you C) [Ysabeau] (doubtful) [Hettie] yes, its good to have your independence in some ways [Ysabeau] (I'm pretty discreet since Verity's husband doesn't want more scandals)

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Hettie] he's treating you well otherwise? [Hettie] And Muri?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Very well.

  • Ysabeau would let Muri speak for herself since she's here...

[Hettie] good - just be careful, though.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Hettie] Love is sweet, but you can't know how strong it is until its tested

  • Ysabeau blushes.

[Hettie] And you can land yourself back in a hard pace if you're not looking out for yourself [Ysabeau] Well... I wouldn't know. It's the first time I've ever loved someone who isn't my immediate family. [Ysabeau] That's another reason why I really, really want to be able to make it on my own. [Ysabeau] Just in case. [Hettie] You've got a good head and a good heart dear - I think you'll be fine :) [Hettie] But you know you both are always welcome here if there's anything you needs from a poor old woman in the shambles

  • Ysabeau smiles gratefully.

[Ysabeau] You're so kind. Hopefully someday I can help you out the way you've always helped us.

  • Hettie chuckles

[Hettie] I'm fine dear - but thank you. [Hettie] mind if you *could* talk some sense in to that son of mine...

  • Ysabeau smiles.
  • Hettie shakes her head, not entirely serious

[Ysabeau] I won't promise anything but I shall certainly try. :) [Hettie] Good luck - he's just got a bit of his father in him afterall :/

  • Ysabeau finishes up the last morcels of her meal.

[Hettie] as good as you remembered? [Ysabeau] Better. :) [Hettie] spoiled by all that rich food, I'm sure [Ysabeau] Thank you so much, Hettie. [Ysabeau] No, not at all. Your cooking's as close to home cooking as we know, and there's nothing better than what you grew up eating.

  • Hettie laughs

[Hettie] if you say so, dear. Thanks. [Ysabeau] I mean it.

  • Ysabeau says with conviction.
  • Ysabeau leans over the counter to give you a hug.
  • Hettie hugs you back
  • Ysabeau plants a kiss on your cheek, too. ^-^

[Hettie] It really cheers me to see you both doing so well [Ysabeau] Well, I guess we might go check out some of our old haunts in the hopes that we might spot Dessa. [Ysabeau] Thank you, Hettie. [Ysabeau] :) [Hettie] you're welcome - and good luck. [Ysabeau] Thank you. [Hettie] maybe she'll listen more to someone her own age [Ysabeau] Hopefully.

  • Ysabeau settles up for the meal and waits for Murienne to get organized, then they leave.
  • Ysabeau smiles back once more from the door, before it blocks her from view.
  • Hettie gives Muri a hug as well begfore you both take off, and will see you to the door with cautions to take care of yourselvs on the streets here


[Narrator] Ilphere, your mother, as threatened - er, promised, has arranged for Menard Kizer to join you for afternoon tea. [Narrator] Your father has, quite sensibly, vacated the premises for the day.

  • Justine has been fussing over you, trying to make over one of your gowns to be more perfectly au courant with fashion.

[Justine] Here, just a little tighter...

  • Justine is helping you dress herself, as you can't even afford a lady's maid at present. How shameful...

[Ilphere] oof...! [Justine] Perfect! [Justine] Now, don't do all the talking, but if he goes all quiet, make sure to keep the conversation flowing.

  • Ilphere looks herself over in the mirror...
  • Justine has been giving you instructions like this, often contradictory, all morning.

[Ilphere] Yes, yes... [Ilphere] (where is dominik?) [Justine] Laugh at his jokes, if he tells any. [Narrator] Your mother eventually decided that, since she would be there, it would be all right to dispense with his services for the day. [Ilphere] Will you be there the whole time...? [Narrator] Because it would mean explaining why he's there, and etc. [Justine] Oh, it may happen that I'm called away for a time...

  • Justine says brightly.

[Justine] Do you want me to stay? [Ilphere] I am... well, I don't know what to expect...! [Ilphere] I am sure it will be fine...!

  • Justine nods.

[Justine] He doesn't seem like the sort of young man who would do anything indecent if I were to step out of the room for a few moments. [Justine] . o O (Unfortunately)

  • Ilphere nods, furrowing her brow slightly.

[Justine] You look so lovely, darling. He would be a fool if he didn't fall in love with you.

  • Justine says proudly, admiring you.

[Ilphere] Oh Mother...!

  • Ilphere laughs a bit nervously.
  • Justine gives you an air kiss, so as not to mess up your hair or makeup.

[Ilphere] Where's Hali...? [Justine] What?

  • Ilphere looks around for the bird

[Justine] Oh. [Narrator] Hali is on your windowsill. [Ilphere] [aa] Do you want to meet Menard...? [Ilphere] :)

  • Justine frowns.

[Justine] Couldn't you leave the bird outside, for this? [Ilphere] He isn't 'a bird'...

  • Ilphere pouts.

[Justine] Please, dear. [Ilphere] Menard might think he is interesting...? [Justine] :/

  • Ilphere pleads weakly

[Justine] If he asks about it, you can retrieve the creature. [Ilphere] ... Yes, mother. [Narrator] The sound of a carriage drawing up outside your door sends your mother into a tizzy. [Justine] That must be him! [Justine] I hope that butler does everything according to form!

  • Justine has splurged on hiring a butler, just for today - it wouldn't do for your possibly-future husband to see that you have no servants!

[Ilphere] Oh...! :o [Justine] Stay calm, my dear. Everything will go wonderfully :)

  • Butler grandly announces the arrival of Prince-Imperial Menard.
  • Menard is dressed in simple but very elegant (and expensive) finery.
  • Ilphere takes as deep a breath as possible in her restrictive garment...

[Justine] Welcome, your highness. [Menard] Thank you.

  • Justine says, curseying.
  • Menard will bow to you both.
  • Menard is trying hard, but may need to practice his elegant bows a bit.
  • Ilphere curtseys deeply.

[Ilphere] Good day, your highness...!

  • Menard smiles at you.
  • Ilphere smiles back...

[Menard] Your looking lovely today Ilphere. [Menard] (Whatcha wearing?)

  • Justine ushers you both into the best parlour, which has had all the sheets taken off the furniture for the occasion.

[Ilphere] Oh...! Thank you!

  • Ilphere is wearing a tightly corsetted gown in shades of green tastefully trimmed with muted gold accents. It shows a little shoulder, and a bit of cleavage but nothing improper.
  • Menard will take a seat in the parlor werever Justine shows him he should.
  • Butler also prepares and pours your tea - double duty!
  • Ilphere sits gracefully.
  • Menard kind of glances around, not sure what to do.

[Justine] Tell me, sir, are your accomodations at the palace to your liking? [Ilphere] It is so nice to meet you properly...! [Menard] Yes.

  • Menard isn't sure who to anser.
  • Ilphere blushes attractively.
  • Menard looks to Ilphere. "It is so very nice to meet you as well."
  • Menard then looks to Justine. "yes, the palace is very nice. Of course, it should be, its the palace. "
  • Justine chuckles politely.

[Justine] Of course it must be.

  • Menard was trying to make a joke, but it sort of only happened.
  • Ilphere laughs lightly.

[Menard] You have a very lovely home. [Justine] Thank you, sir. [Ilphere] Do you have a lot more repsonsibilities now that you are a prince...? [Ilphere] Is it very different...? Or do are you still able to pursue your own interests...? [Menard] Um..Well not yet. But I'm sure they are coming. We are mostly still in the celebrating and moving stage of my brothers reign. [Justine] Do you think your brother - I'm sorry, I should say Emperor Marl - will hold a ball anytime soon? [Menard] Yes. I've heard some of the planning for that. It should be a splendid affair. [Justine] Everyone would love to attend, I know. [Menard] .oO (I'm totally taking on my new responsibilites right now...) [Menard] Yes. It should be the even of the season. [Menard] .oO(As long as my brother can figure out who are dates should be.) [Ilphere] How lovely... Are you looking forward to it...? [Menard] Yes! [Menard] I do like a good Ball.

  • Menard seems to be trying his best to be dashing...

[Menard] And you? [Ilphere] I like the music... My friend Ysabeau is quite musical; I have been discovering all sorts of interesting new sounds...! [Menard] "new sounds" Like what? [Ilphere] Well, composers from outside the Empire... [Ilphere] :) [Menard] Maybe you could sugest some to me? I'm not sure if they've picked all the music for the ball yet. [Ilphere] oh! Hm... let me think...

  • Ilphere tries to think of someone Ysabeau has mentioned.

[Ilphere] There was a Cozovodan one... Dozilva [Menard] ah nice. [Ilphere] I believe they composed some arrangements which have been adapted for cello and strings...

  • Menard smiles.
  • Menard nods.
  • Butler had left the room once the refreshments were served, but now returns.

[Butler] Pardon me, milady, but there is a matter that requires your attention. [Justine] Oh, goodness, I do apologize, sir. I shall return as quickly as possible.

  • Menard eyes the butler.

[Ilphere] Oh...! [Ilphere] Alright...

  • Justine leaves cheerfully, having obviously contrived a reason for the two of you to be alone for a time.

[Ilphere] I am sure we will be fine...!

  • Menard looks nervous
  • Ilphere smiles in what she hopes is a reassuring manner...

[Ilphere] So...! [Menard] So...We actually have a friend in common. Seth Argo is a good friend of mine. [Ilphere] Oh really...? [Ilphere] Yes, we are both members of the Antiquarian Society... [Menard] yes! We've known eachother for years. [Menard] He's told me all about it. [Ilphere] You ought to come along some time...! [Ilphere] Some of the lectures are very interesting... [Menard] I kept meaning to go, but with my brother becoming emperor and all, I doubt I'll be able to now. [Ilphere] I'm still looking forward to hearing Seth speak on his research...! [Ilphere] That is a shame...! [Ilphere] Are you interested in history, though...?

  • Ilphere leans forward in her chair a bit.

[Menard] Well, to hear Seth talk of it, it sounds like the Society makes it very interesting. [Menard] My tutors never really managed to do that though.

  • Menard notices the change of scenery as Ilphere leans forward, but tries not to stare.

[Ilphere] Why do you think you wouldn't be able to go now that Marl is Emperor?

  • Ilphere furrows her brow slightly.

[Menard] Well, I'm sure things will be busy for us in the beginning.

  • Ilphere tilts her head slightly to one side

[Ilphere] I suppose so...! [Ilphere] But later on...? [Menard] To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what life will be like once I'm more firmly set in the palace.

  • Ilphere nods.

[Ilphere] Well I should certainly hope you would still be able to pursue your own interests...! [Menard] Me to.

  • Menard says, with earnest.

[Ilphere] So, ah... what sorts of things do you enjoy doing? [Menard] um...so what about your studies?

  • Ilphere tucks a stray piece of hair behind her ear...

[Menard] oh...um

  • Ilphere is vaguely worried that she is talking too much...!

[Ilphere] I just, well... I know so little about you...!

  • Ilphere smiles shyly.

[Menard] Well...you go first. I'd like to hear of your studies. [Ilphere] Oh...? Really..?

  • Ilphere is chuffed that you would be interested...!

[Menard] Sure. [Ilphere] Well! [Menard] . o O (Oh Please not crazy, Oh please not crazy!) [Ilphere] My research focuses on planes beyond our own, and extraplanar interactions with, and influences on it. [Ilphere] It is a difficult, but fascinating field...!

  • Menard nods, trying to keep up.

[Ilphere] So I've been studying at the Castalia for some years now... I'm looking for one really exciting project that would make my name as a researcher... [Menard] Any leads yet? [Ilphere] I'm not sure... [Ilphere] It turns out a lot of times that what appears as extra-planar influence is just someone being crazy. [Ilphere] Which is always a let down...! [Menard] I can see how that would be. [Ilphere] I am looking into a few things though... [Ilphere] For instance that dragon that appeared at the coronation...! [Ilphere] I am certain it was not of this plane. [Menard] oh yes. That was horrible wasn't it. [Ilphere] Oh yes, very destructive...! Such a close encounter...! [Menard] (So does Ilphere seem horrified? or excited?) [Ilphere] (excited ;)

  • Menard smiles in a practiced way.

[Ilphere] I have a contact in the guard and I am hoping to find some indication of where it came from, and therefore deduce what it means for our own plane...! [Menard] I think my brother has quite a few people working on that was well. [Ilphere] People don't like to think about how other planes influence this one... An event like this, reinterpreted over thousands of years, becomes the basis for certain supersitions, even religion...! [Ilphere] I am sure he must... There is so much competition in scholarship... [Ilphere] :/ [Menard] um, yes.

  • Menard isn't quite sure where to go from there.

[Ilphere] I have limited access to restricted resources as a student... which makes it difficult to carve out a name for oneself... [Ilphere] Oh dear... I have bored you...!

  • Ilphere looks crestfallen.

[Menard] no, no! [Menard] not at all! [Menard] I'm afraid I just...don't have the background to really understand the magics involved.

  • Menard says, maybe a littel afraid of her.

[Menard] or bored, I mean...

  • Ilphere shifts in her chair a bit. :/

[Menard] You are anything BUT boreing Mlle DeQuessenet. [Ilphere] Oh... thank you...

  • Ilphere smiles again.

[Ilphere] I would love to hear about yourself, though...! [Menard] Well, I've enjoy spending time in the city. [Menard] so many interesting people and places. [Menard] .oO(Don't say you like goofing off.) [Ilphere] I'll wager you'll meet even more fascinating people now...! [Menard] I'm sure I will. [Menard] Riding is also a great pastime of mine. [Ilphere] Oh, how nice...! [Menard] yes. [Menard] And Trains. [Ilphere] I don't get out to the countryside very often, myself. [Menard] So new and interesting things. [Menard] oh, you should! [Menard] Our fair city is nice, but visiting the rest of the countryside is also a great way to spend some time.

  • Justine returns.

[Ilphere] I think I went to Alarches once when I was very small, but I do not remember it... [Justine] I'm very sorry to have been gone so long... [Ilphere] Grand-Mère often speaks of how lovely it is... [Ilphere] Oh, hello Mother!

  • Ilphere is almost surprised to see her return.

[Justine] Did I hear you speaking of travel, your highness? :) [Menard] Um yes. [Menard] I was just saying how I like to Ride in the countryside. [Justine] Oh, how lovely! Ilphere loves to ride too. [Menard] Does she?

  • Menard seems confused.

[Ilphere] Well I... It has been a while.

  • Menard looks at Ilphere.
  • Ilphere laughs nervously...

[Ilphere] . o O ( Mother! :( ) [Menard] So you rode when you where younger? [Justine] Well, perhaps the two of you might go riding one of these days, when the weather is fine. [Ilphere] Well, at my uncle's house.

  • Menard looks abit caught.

[Menard] I do have some fine horses.

  • Ilphere smiles winningly.

[Justine] That sounds delightful :) [Menard] How do you ride Ilphere? [Ilphere] How do you mean...? What style? [Menard] Yes! [Ilphere] Well, I was only a girl when last I rode, so I must confess I used to ride like a boy...!

  • Ilphere blushes a bit.

[Ilphere] But I can ride side saddle I'm sure... if you think it more proper. [Ilphere] :)

  • Menard smiles
  • Justine looks relieved at your answer.

[Menard] Well, whatever you would be more comfortable with. [Ilphere] I would be delighted...! [Narrator] (okay, if you want to keep talking in another channel you can, but there is something I need to do after Menard leaves :) [Menard] Great...! [Narrator] (skipping ahead slightly, then...) [Ilphere] (ok)

  • Butler holds the door for Menard as he departs.
  • Butler turns to Ilphere after the young prince has gone.

[Butler] Miss, this was delivered for you while you were taking tea. I thought it best not to disturb you at the time.

  • Butler hands you a small black envelope.

[Ilphere] Oh... thank you...!

  • Ilphere takes it curiously.

[Ilphere] (any markings on the outside?) [Narrator] It has your name on it, that's all. [Ilphere] (Is my mother still hovering?)

  • Justine is bubbling excitedly, but not in the immediate vicinity.
  • Ilphere will open it discreetly then.

[Narrator] It contains a single sheet of paper. In an ornate hand is the message: a date three days hence, a time - an hour past sundown - and a location: the Arch. It is not signed. [Ilphere] :o [Narrator] Thank goodness your mother wasn't the one who answered the door!

  • Ilphere quickly tucks it away.


[Narrator] Okay, we'll go on to Seth now. [Narrator] Seth, since the new emperor's election you haven't seen your Aunt Gwen, when usually she drops by the house once a week or so. [Narrator] Finally, however, she is apparently joining your family for dinner tonight. [Narrator] Your father seems particularly keen to talk to her.

  • Seth will get dressed in his best scholarly-looking clothes and show up right on time, but not early.
  • Gwen arrives late, as usual.

[Kex] Can't the Kizers afford to buy you a pocket watch?

  • Kex says with a frown when she finally gets there.

[Gwen] Shove it, dear brother.

  • Gwen says cheerfully.

[Gwen] I've been run off my feet for three weeks, and I just want to relax for a few hours, if that's allowed in this house. [Kex] Hmph. Important work for the Emperor? [Gwen] I don't work for the Emperor, I work for the Emperor's family. There *is* still a difference, believe it or not.

  • Seth stays in the background as best as he can manage.

[Kex] Who are they hiring to rebuild the Hall of Worthies? [Gwen] Want me to put in a good word for you, is that it? [Kex] They do owe us...

  • Gwen gives him a pointed look.

[Gwen] I have no idea what you're talking about. Come on, let's eat!

  • Gwen makes pleasant conversation during dinner, and resolutely doesn't discuss work, to your father's annoyance.

[Seth] So, Aunt Gwen ... what *have* you heard about the Hall of Worthies?

  • Gwen laughs.

[Gwen] Not you too! [Seth] Well ... there is a lot of interest in the Society, obviously.

  • Gwen stretches heartily after dinner.

[Gwen] Excellent grub, as usual. I think I'll have a smoke in the garden and walk it off a bit.

  • Gwen knows your father hates for her to smoke in the house.

[Gwen] Seth, care to join me? [Seth] Ah ... yes, of course, that would be fine.

  • Seth will accompany her out to the garden.
  • Gwen offers you one of her cigars.

[Seth] Ah ... no thanks. [Gwen] Suit yourself.

  • Gwen lights hers.

[Gwen] Don't tell your father, but they offered to make me Captain of the Guard for the Imperial City. [Seth] Why? [Gwen] Why? [Seth] Uh ... why did they offer? Why did you turn them down? Why shouldn't I tell father? And why are you telling me? [Gwen] They offered it because Marl wants to put me *somewhere*. He doesn't seem to grasp what his grandfather's always understood - Argos work best behind the scenes. Don't put a fucking feather in my hat and make me march in a parade, you know? [Seth] Yeah, exactly. [Gwen] I turned them down because I'm not a guard, never been a guard, wouldn't know how to lead a bunch of guards. Forget it. [Gwen] I don't want to get stuck behind a desk doing paperwork, not even for a seat on the Outer Council.

  • Seth nods.

[Seth] Makes sense. [Seth] But you don't think father would understand. [Gwen] He'd think I should have taken it. [Gwen] Franeka of Gouge got it instead - better choice anyway, she's career military, knows her shit, plus enough people still remember her father that she's got that going for her too.

  • Gwen takes a drag on her cigar.

[Seth] True ... although don't they mostly remember her father as a sort of dunce of some kind?

  • Gwen laughs.

[Gwen] A popular dunce.

  • Seth shrugs.

[Seth] Well, I guess I can understand why you might see her as better suited. [Gwen] Thinking about it more, though, I wonder if maybe Marl *does* get it, and he just wants to neutralize me. I don't know how much he trusts the old man. [Seth] Yeah ... although I never gave Marl a lot of credit for that kind of cunning. [Gwen] He's not stupid, not like some of them. [Seth] No ... no, I know. [Gwen] He got through the Castalia, idiots don't manage that. [Gwen] What do you know about the Hush? The Companions of Silence, I mean.

  • Gwen says, apparently changing the subject.

[Seth] Ahhh ... not much. [Seth] Why?

  • Gwen shrugs.

[Gwen] Because it seems like more my scene, if they feel like putting me in charge of something. But I don't play well with others, so... maybe still not a good idea. [Seth] Well ... it you're in charge, things would be pretty different, I would imagine. [Seth] Who's in charge right now? [Gwen] I don't know. That's why I don't know if they'd actually put me in charge ;) [Gwen] It's all very ... hush-hush.

  • Seth chuckles.

[Gwen] But I might suggest it. [Seth] Does the Emperor even get to pick that? [Gwen] If he doesn't, I don't know who does. [Gwen] Which sort of scares me. [Seth] Yeah. [Seth] Well, you know ... if you did get it, I would be ... that is, I might be interested in ... helping?

  • Gwen smiles.

[Gwen] All right, I'll keep that in mind, kid. [Gwen] We should be getting in, your father probably wants to nag me a bit more before I take off. [Seth] Yeah ... probably. [Seth] So, uh ... let me know how it all turns out? [Gwen] I'll keep you posted.

  • Seth smiles.

[Seth] Thanks.

  • Seth will head inside with his aunt.


[Narrator] Sanadhil, you are at home when there is a knock at your door.

  • Courier is a young man in the uniform of the Courier's Guild.
  • Sanadhil answers

[Sanadhil] Yes? [Courier] A message for ...Sanadile?

  • Courier says, mispronouncing your name.

[Sanadhil] Sanadhìl. [Sanadhil] Thank you. [Courier] Sorry.

  • Courier hands you a small black envelope.
  • Sanadhil takes it

[Sanadhil] Who is this from?

  • Courier shrugs.

[Courier] I just deliver them, friend.

  • Sanadhil asks expecting no real good answer

[Sanadhil] Oh course.

  • Sanadhil gives him a medium-crappy tip

[Sanadhil] thank you.

  • Courier accepts it and leaves.
  • Sanadhil opens it, figuring he does know who it is from...

[Narrator] The envelope, which simply bears your name, contains a single sheet of paper. In an ornate hand is the message: a date three days hence, a time - an hour past sundown - and a location: the Arch. It is not signed. [Sanadhil] . o ( of course.... )


[Narrator] Guillame, things are relatively peaceful at home for once. Your sisters aren't squabbling, your mother is busy but seems content... It can't last. [Narrator] One morning your mother is out taking tea with friends, Silvia is at school, and Alesia has barricaded herself in her room to read. [Narrator] You are just settling in to enjoy having the place to yourself, more or less, when one of the maids enters the room. [Maid] Excuse me, sir, but there's a M. Olivier to see the mistress of the house. As she's not at home, he's asked to speak to you instead. [Guillame] Very well... [Guillame] (how's the weather) [Narrator] (threatening rain) [Guillame] Where is he waiting?

  • Aden_ is in the entry way, because the maid didn't know if you'd see him yet.

[Aden_] M. Rionet, it's good to see you again. [Guillame] Welcome to my family home, M. Olivier!

  • Aden_ smiles.

[Aden_] It's a lovely home you have here. [Aden_] I'm sorry I missed the duchess, but I'm glad to have the chance to speak to you. [Guillame] Yes - she's always busy, my Mother. It's prudent to make sure she's at home. [Guillame] How can I be of service? [Aden_] I'm sorry, I ought to have sent word. I always forget these formalities, I'm afraid. [Aden_] I wanted to thank Coindeliere for supporting me. [Aden_] I apologize for not coming sooner, but visiting two hundred and eighty-something people takes up quite a bit of time :) [Guillame] I'm sure it does! [Guillame] Where are my manners - would you like to come through and sit down? [Aden_] Certainly, thank you :)

  • Aden_ will follow you and take a seat.
  • Guillame also takes a seat.

[Aden_] How have you been these last few weeks? [Guillame] Well - I've had a little more free time than usual, so I've taken the opportunity to spend some time studying.

  • Aden_ nods.

[Guillame] The society is abuzz regarding that display at the ceremony! [Aden_] Yes, I can imagine! [Aden_] It was quite shocking to everyone. [Aden_] Well, no doubt it wasn't a shock to *someone*, but you know what I mean. [Guillame] Or *nearly* everyone, some suspect [Aden_] Exactly.

  • Guillame grins and nods

[Guillame] How about yourself? Have you enjoyed visiting your supporters? [Aden_] It's been very enlightening. [Aden_] Some have refused to even see me, but most have been quite welcoming. It's encouraging. [Aden_] Hopefully the next time, it will be even more successful. [Aden_] For those who come after me, I mean.

  • Aden_ adds hastily.

[Guillame] I certainly hope so, I have to say. I'm sure you appreciate, the system seems somewhat... lacking to me.

  • Aden_ nods.

[Aden_] Despite our failure this time, I'm still hopeful that certain changes might be made to the government's structure, in order to ensure that the citizens have a greater say in the rule of the Empire. [Aden_] For instance, the Great Council could meet more often, in order to advise the Emperor on key decisions. [Guillame] That's not a bad idea. [Aden_] It's a step, one that I hope would not be too offensive to most. [Guillame] For one man to be expected to be... infallible - it's not always plausible. [Aden_] Indeed. [Aden_] And as he appoints most of the inner council members himself, it's easy to have it turn into a council of yes-men. [Guillame] Has there been any movement on that front, from our new Emperor? [Aden_] He has made his appointments, yes. I think it's an interesting selection, in all honestly, though some of the choices perplex me.\ [Guillame] Such as? [Guillame] If you don't mind me asking [Aden_] Theonée Deverara as Chancellor. [Aden_] She's not a political insider, despite being Empress Tristane's daughter. She's a scholar, reputed as an eccentric. I suppose Marl must have met her through his Castalia studies. [Aden_] We'll see how that turns out, I suppose. [Aden_] My aunt Martine has been chosen as Chamberlain, but since she doesn't much like me, I don't imagine it will aid my cause any ;) [Guillame] It's an interesting choice, you're right. I'd like to think that a scholar would be a good choice... [Aden_] I hope it will prove so. [Aden_] If there is anything I can do to help you in the future, please don't hesitate to ask. I owe you a debt beyond simply my gratitude for your family's vote. [Guillame] That's very kind of you to say - I'm sure we're grateful to you just for taking the risk of running. [Guillame] I am forever fascinated by politics - every time I think to try and ignore it for a while, there is always something going on that is either so promising, enraging or baffling that I'm unable to.

  • Aden_ chuckles.

[Aden_] You are exactly the sort of noble this Empire needs, if I may say so, sir :) [Guillame] Well, I think that a lot of people feel that you're the kind of politician this empire needs. I'm sure we have a number, actually.

  • Aden_ smiles and perhaps actually blushes slightly.

[Aden_] I try. [Aden_] I've taken up too much of your time already, I ought to be going. But... perhaps we could meet again, to speak more of these matters. [Guillame] You're welcome here any time. I'll pass on your thanks to my Mother. [Aden_] Thank you, sir.

  • Aden_ shakes your hand warmly before departing.
  • Guillame nods to Aden.


[Narrator] Altheo, you are busy with things at the Boar lately - a couple of new girls want to come work for you, but you're running low on space, so it's meant persuading some of the girls to work alternate shifts and others who've been their longer to move out into their own places. [Narrator] Julian comes by the Boar one afternoon. He doesn't visit there often, to minimize potential scandal, and when he does, he generally claims he's making a 'charitable donation.'

  • Altheo will greet him the way one might expect when money walks into a room.

[Narrator] The girls all like him because he typically buys them drinks and doesn't actually, you know, have sex with them. [Altheo] (lol)

  • Altheo will step behind the bar himself, so he can personally serve the Noble Spokesman.
  • Ser_Julian manages to get a word with you, despite the crowds of whores and patrons around.

[Ser_Julian] How's business? :) [Altheo] Booming. [Altheo] It seems all this excitment has gotten this city..well, Excited!

  • Ser_Julian laughs.

[Ser_Julian] Well, if I were twenty years younger... Oh, except then my wife would still be alive, and she would kill me ;) [Altheo] She was a tough woman to be sure.

  • Ser_Julian nods.
  • Altheo says, smiling as he pours Ser Julian a drink.

[Ser_Julian] I miss her dearly, but the things I miss are mainly the parts your fine ladies can't provide for me, unfortunately. [Altheo] That wouldn't stop them from trying. But I get your meaning.

  • Altheo will pour a drink for himself as well.

[Ser_Julian] So, remember I told you he might put together a team to look into that mess?

  • Ser_Julian says, being deliberately vague.

[Altheo] I think so.

  • Altheo says, playing along.

[Ser_Julian] Well, he wants you to be on it. Me too, as it turns out, and a couple of others who might be in good positions to find things out.

  • Altheo laughs.

[Altheo] Well now, he does does him. [Ser_Julian] He's not stupid - he might not like you, but he'll use you if you serve his purposes. And if we screw up, I suppose he can deny that you were working for him, heh. [Altheo] I'm sure he'll play things close to his breastplate.

  • Ser_Julian nods.

[Ser_Julian] Actually, I think everyone he's assigning to this job is potentially disposable, if it comes to that. Everyone's probably done something that could get them booted without it looking suspicious. [Ser_Julian] Except me, of course, he's got nothing on me ;) [Altheo] He can meet here if he wants. I have a back room thats big enough.

  • Ser_Julian looks mildly surprised, then amused.

[Ser_Julian] I was going to suggest the Demon, but this is funnier. [Altheo] (Whats the Demon?) [Narrator] (the Dreaming Demon is the tavern near the Antiquarian Society) [Altheo] I guess it depends just how discreet he wants it all. [Ser_Julian] Pretty discreet.

  • Altheo nods
  • Altheo leans in close so he can't be overheard.

[Altheo] What's his first move? [Ser_Julian] Checking every member of the Inner Council. [Ser_Julian] At least, that's what I'd do. [Ser_Julian] Former members and current ones, if it comes to that. [Ser_Julian] Then moving on to the Outer Council. [Altheo] Did he mention my role in all this? [Ser_Julian] I believe at least one of said members is a regular patron here. Possibly more, I don't know.

  • Altheo nods

[Ser_Julian] But we can talk about all of this at the meeting - he might have further instructions, I'm not certain. [Altheo] when is it? [Ser_Julian] Three days. [Ser_Julian] I'll volunteer this place, but I don't know if he'll agree to it.

  • Ser_Julian finishes up his drink.
  • Altheo nods.

[Altheo] Let me know. I can't wait. [Ser_Julian] I will.

  • Ser_Julian will take his leave, then, tipping his hat to the girls, who all wave goodbye.
  • Altheo watchs him go and finishes his drink.


[Narrator] Dominik, you are free from your duties as bodyguard today, since Ilphere apparently objected to having you sit there and watch while she flirts with the Prince-Imperial. [Narrator] Having nothing better to do, you pass by the daily practice session at Master Halden's training yard.

  • Ser_Julian is now known as Master_Halden

[Master_Halden] Well, I'm glad *someone* decided to show up.

  • Master_Halden grumbles as you enter.
  • Master_Halden is a massive man of about fifty, with short-cropped hair that could be blond or could be grey, depending on the light.
  • Kex is now known as Laurine
  • Dominik shrugs
  • Laurine Talavera pretends to look offended.

[Laurine] I'm here, aren't I? [Master_Halden] Sure enough. The two of you can spar, that way it'll be easier for me to see how you're both fucking up.

  • Laurine jumps to her feet, ready to go.

[Dominik] He must be talking to you... I don't fuck up. [Laurine] Eat cock, Rademacher :)

  • Dominik taunts Laurine
  • Laurine will come at you, then.
  • Master_Halden runs you through your paces, being tough on both of you to improve your form and speed.

[Master_Halden] Keep your blade up, girl - he's not going to wait until you catch your breath if he's trying to kill you. [Master_Halden] Get in there, stab her, what are you waiting for, an invitation?

  • Dominik looses himself in the fight focusing on the task at hand
  • Master_Halden barks further instructions at you both until the bout is over.

[Master_Halden] Not bad.

  • Master_Halden finally says, which is high praise coming from him.

[Master_Halden] Haven't seen you much lately.

  • Dominik nods to the compliment
  • Master_Halden says to you as you're catching your breath afterwards.

[Dominik] I've been otherwise occupied these days. [Master_Halden] Got a girl? Or are you training somewhere else and cheating on me, heh. [Dominik] neither... although I haven't been letting my skills rust. [Master_Halden] Oh? [Dominik] I'm watching over my dear cousine Ilphere [Master_Halden] Watching over her? Is she three or something? [Dominik] It would probably be more entertaining if she was three

  • Laurine gives a snorting laugh.

[Master_Halden] They've got you working for family, huh. Classy. [Master_Halden] Are they paying you? [Dominik] of course

  • Master_Halden nods.

[Master_Halden] Either way, it's insulting. If they pay you, you're the hired help, not family. If they're not paying you, you're wasting your time.

  • Dominik frowns

[Dominik] It's better than idling where I was.

  • Master_Halden shrugs.

[Master_Halden] Is that what you want to do with your life, be a bodyguard? [Dominik] It's a means to an end, thats all... and only for the short term [Master_Halden] It's not a criticism, there are worse things you could do. Void, my father started off as a bodyguard. [Master_Halden] Means to an end, like you said. It can put you in the right place at the right time, and that can be useful. [Dominik] True enough [Master_Halden] Well, I hope it pans out for you. [Dominik] time will tell

  • Master_Halden nods.\

[Laurine] You wanna grab a beer, Dom? [Dominik] might as well. [Laurine] Oh, no, wait, I have to go for a fucking dress-fitting. Rain check - next time, okay? [Dominik] are you kidding me?

  • Laurine shrugs.

[Laurine] Ball. Grand-mere said I didn't have to go, but mother's making a fuss about it. [Dominik] So be late [Laurine] Well, I could... ;) [Laurine] All right, fine, you temped me ;) [Dominik] It's your choice... have the beer with me now, or when I see you in that dress, I'll make sure you regret not having the beer. [Laurine] Are you propositioning me? It's hard to tell.

  • Laurine says with a smirk.

[Laurine] You need to work on those lines, Dom. [Dominik] Please... if I wanted to pick you up, I'd punch you first so you'd know I'm serious.

  • Dominik gathers up his weapons

[Laurine] You're such a romantic. :p

  • Laurine will go with you for a beer, then, and be late for her dress fitting.

Solos

  • Dominik will slip away from Ilphere, who is lost in a book, and aproach Sanadhil.

[Dominik] Excuse me, could I have a word with you?

  • Sanadhil seems slighly surprised, and glances around quickly to see that Ilphère is elsewhere

[Sanadhil] Certainly, Mr Rademacher

  • Sanadhil sounds curious as to what you might want

[Dominik] Dominik is fine... are there many from Cozovode in Diablotin? [Sanadhil] Only a handful that I am aware of... why do you ask? [Dominik] I've been reading in the library here, and there is something of a cultural interest I have. [Dominik] I figured you may be able to point me in the right direction if there was someone in the city to talk to. [Dominik] There are a few books that describe a certain fighting style used by Cozovode. [Sanadhil] I'm not personally familiar with any of the others here as yet - I've been more concerned with finding my place in a new society, so far [Sanadhil] But if there was some particular point of curiousity, I'm sure I could give you some insight [Sanadhil] ahh [Dominik] I was hoping to find someone skilled in this art... to observe it first hand. [Dominik] Can you help me? [Sanadhil] That I'm afraid is outside my personal experience - While I've certainly *observed* a number of the regional styles, especailly the unarmed combat favoured by monks, I'm not personally trained to any great capacity

  • Sanadhil says apologetically

[Dominik] and you're not familiar with anyone in the city who is? [Sanadhil] not personally, no. [Sanadhil] Access to some of the styles are caste based, however - if I knew more what you were looking for I might be able to give yoyu an idea of who you might seek out, if such a person could even be found locally. [Dominik] the unarmed fighting styles was the first that had my interest. [Sanadhil] ahh, well, it is unlikely that you would find a practitioner here, then.

  • Dominik shrugs

[Dominik] It was worth asking.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Dominik] Good day. [Sanadhil] To you as well.

  • Dominik will head back to Ilphere
  • Sanadhil watches after him curiously


  • Ysabeau has spent some time gossiping with the girls in the Boar's kitchen. She's glad to see some have moved on like she has, even though it means she may rarely get the chance to see them again.
  • Ysabeau is friendly to the new girls that are there and hopes she can provide them some sort of inspiration too... But after the visit with them winds down, she goes to see if Altheo is in his office.
  • Altheo is playing cards with himself in his office.
  • Ysabeau taps on the door if it's closed, the doorframe if the door is open. It's afternoon, not too many customers around in all likelihood.

[Altheo] (He does this when he's ploting. Like freecell or whatever.)(

  • Altheo looks up (His door is open.)

[Ysabeau] (hee) [Altheo] Come in! [Ysabeau] Hello Altheo.

  • Ysabeau smiles.
  • Altheo stands.

[Altheo] Hello Ysabeau, I've missed that smile.

  • Altheo says, taking your hand and kissing it demurely.
  • Ysabeau steps in and allows him to take her hand.

[Ysabeau] Oh well, you have plenty of other smiles to keep you company in your old age.

  • Ysabeau teases, pleased by the compliment.

[Altheo] I supose thats true. [Altheo] Please have a seat. And feel free to close the door if its that sort of visit.

  • Ysabeau does close the door gently so as not to disturb the rest of the inhabitants.

[Ysabeau] It's not *that* sort of visit, but it is that sort of visit. I'm a one-person girl now. I actually came in the hopes of some information.

  • Altheo will go to his cabinet and pour a rye for himself and whatever Ysabeau's favorite drink was for her.

[Altheo] Well, thats my second favorite trade.

  • Altheo hands her the drink.

[Altheo] How can I help.

  • Altheo sits in his chair and smiles disarmingly.
  • Ysabeau likes red wine.

[Ysabeau] Well, Murienne misses her old friend, Dessa.

  • Altheo always seems to have better wine than one might expect from a brothel like the Rutting Boar.
  • Altheo nods.

[Ysabeau] So we went for a visit in the Shambles the other day to try and find her, only to discover that she has joined Quercy's crew. [Altheo] Really?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] So, we left a message with Hettie, whose son is also in the gang, but who at least comes to visit her still sometimes. [Ysabeau] But should that message fail to get through, I was trying to figure out some other way to get in touch with her... Some way so that Muri is not let down... [Altheo] How old is Dessa? [Ysabeau] She's about the same age as Muri - 13. [Altheo] And you heard the part where the necklace originated from de Quercy's gang? [Ysabeau] (Vianca mentioned that in her lecture, didn't she?) [Ysabeau] (The necklace thing) [Altheo] (yes, I think she did.)

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Altheo] Well, I think its accurate that De Quercy is the grandaughter of Tatiane Corriveau.

  • Altheo waits to see if you recognize the name.

[Ysabeau] Vianca did mention that, yes... [Ysabeau] But I came about Dessa, not the necklace. I was wondering whether it would be safe or even possible for me to visit the Bonemire and try to get in touch with her... [Ysabeau] I don't know how violent they are, or anything. [Altheo] Well, I visited them successfully with Seth Argo. [Altheo] I do not think they make their living with violence. [Altheo] My sugestion is to just go and visit during the day. [Ysabeau] Okay. [Altheo] But this necklace has brought them attention from people who wanted it. And de Quercy sold it anyways. That could bring them trouble. [Ysabeau] So I could expect danger from other people should I have any dealings with them and it became known? [Altheo] I don't know. They maybe just be bit players. Passed over now that they no longer have what others want.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Altheo] Or the could be victims of revenge. Without knowing who was after the necklace, you can't be sure. [Altheo] Another funny little aside. [Ysabeau] Well, I'm going to give the message a month or so to get through... After that I may try to visit Dessa in their den. [Ysabeau] Hmm?

  • Ysabeau looks up at Altheo.

[Altheo] They knew of me. And made a joke about not needing saving. I got the impression that many of these girls may have decided theivery is more honest than your old vocation. [Ysabeau] Maybe thievery is just more comfortable for them. [Altheo] Could be. [Altheo] Its not a choice I'd ever hold against someone. But it could color Dessa's view of you. [Altheo] I just thought I'd let you know. [Ysabeau] I was always taught NOT to steal, and I feel that strongly. Otherwise, my sister and I might have been able to get by on thieving. But I'll take your concern into account. [Ysabeau] Dessa never seemed to dislike me when we all still lived in the Shambles. [Ysabeau] She never mentioned anything, anyway.

  • Altheo nods.

[Altheo] I'm glad to hear that. [Altheo] I don't really know much about them. They are probably just trying to get by as best they can.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Same as everyone else. [Altheo] yes. [Altheo] And if Dessa is a friend of yours, she can find a friend in me if she needs one. no matter what she does for a living.

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] Thanks. You're a good man, Altheo. [Altheo] Any grace I have, I've learned from all the best of people who have lived in my home for a time.

  • Altheo says smiling back.

[Ysabeau] Well, it's nearly supper time. I'd best get home and start cooking. [Altheo] Of course. [Altheo] I'd like to hear of your visit to Bonmire. With all that necklace nonsense, I'd sort of like to hear what you think of de Quercy's operation.

  • Ysabeau isn't quite sure what to make of your comment about what you learned, so she glosses over it.

[Ysabeau] Well, as I said, I'm planning to give the message at least a month to get through to Dessa. [Altheo] (he's just saying that he learned it from people like youl ;)) [Altheo] of course. [Ysabeau] If we haven't seen hide nor hair of her by then, I'll probably make a foray into the Bonemire. [Altheo] Its not that rought a place if you go in peace. [Ysabeau] Hopefully by then, if any trouble is coming to them, it will have already passed.

  • Altheo nods.

[Altheo] I hope you find your friend healthy and happy. [Ysabeau] I hope so too.

  • Altheo will walk you out in a gentelmanly fashion.

[Ysabeau] (She probably blushed a little when you made the comment that flustered her) [Ysabeau] Take care, Altheo.

  • Ysabeau blows you a kiss as she heads out the back door.
  • Altheo smiles and nods to you.

[Altheo] You too Ysabeau.


[Narrator] So, you want to go to the theatre and ask around about that girl? [Sanadhil] *nod*

  • Sanadhil will dress medium elfy

[Sanadhil] (which is to say elfy, but not superformal elfy ;) [Narrator] You return - alone - to the Duke of Mericourt Theatre in the Place D'Iena. It is much less busy than the last time you were there, but there are still some people about. [Narrator] There is a ticket-seller stationed at the box office, though she looks rather bored at the moment.

  • Sanadhil approach her, then

[Ticket_seller] Can I help you?

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] I hope so - I'm trying to track down one of the company members from The Elven Ambassador [Ticket_seller] Oh? [Sanadhil] not any of the headliners, unfortunately. She only had a small part. [Ticket_seller] All right... [Sanadhil] (did her character even have a name?) [Ticket_seller] (probably not - something like 'elven attendant 2' or whatever ;) [Ticket_seller] What did she look like?

  • Sanadhil smiles again, and will give a general description of what he could tel from the stage, ansd add "She may have some Cozovodan ancestry as well"

[Ticket_seller] Oh, that's Vica. Vica Trestelle, I mean. [Ticket_seller] She'll be so happy she has an admirer ;) All of the girls love hearing that gentlemen are asking after them. [Sanadhil] I'm sure...

  • Sanadhil smles again though

[Sanadhil] I don't suppose you could tell me how I could get in contact with her? [Ticket_seller] Well, she'll be here tonight for the performance, of course.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ticket_seller] If you have a note, or flowers or anything you wanted to leave for her, I can make sure she gets them... [Sanadhil] Ahh... I admit I may be underprepard at this time... I'll bring something back later. [Sanadhil] Do you know her? [Ticket_seller] A bit. She's sort of... odd. [Sanadhil] oh?

  • Ticket_seller shrugs.

[Ticket_seller] I don't know. She's just not like most of the other actresses. She's more serious or something. [Sanadhil] about her acting or just in general? [Ticket_seller] Just in general, I guess. She's nice, though, don't get me wrong. [Sanadhil] I see. [Sanadhil] has she been with the company long? [Ticket_seller] A year or so, I think.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Thank you - I'll stop by later with a note for her. [Ticket_seller] Sure.

  • Ticket_seller goes back to being bored.

[Ticket_seller] (So, I presume you do so?)

  • Sanadhil will take his leave then, but will leave a note later

[Ticket_seller] (which says basically what?) [Sanadhil] (yeah - it will tell her basically who I am (name, visiting scholar at the castillia, saw the play with some students and noticed her performance, very intrigued by her would you liek to meet you can leave a message for me at the castilla (I assume I can arrange that anyway!))) [Ticket_seller] (okay) [Ticket_seller] (let us assume that through various exchanges of notes, you manage to meet somehow ;) [Sanadhil] (groovy!) [Ticket_seller] (maybe at a tavern near the theatre) [Sanadhil] (that's cool) [Sanadhil] (Do i get much of a sense of her through the notes or are they pretty straightforward?) [Ticket_seller] (pretty basic) [Sanadhil] (okay)

  • Sanadhil will probably arrive a litle early
  • Vica arrives shortly after you do, then.
  • Vica looks to be in her early twenties, with dark brown wavy hair and hazel eyes.

[Vica] Hello... you must be Sanadhil.

  • Vica pronounces your name correctly.
  • Sanadhil smiles - that never happens!

[Sanadhil] yes, that's me. And you are Mlle Trestelle? [Vica] In a way, yes :) [Sanadhil] oh? [Vica] It's a stage name. [Sanadhil] ahhh, that makes sense

  • Vica says with a little shrug.

[Sanadhil] So then what shoudl i call you? [Vica] Vica is fine. It's a short form of my Cozovodë name. [Sanadhil] (any guesses on what it could be?) [Vica] (well, there are several names that end in -vica, it would be hard to guess) [Sanadhil] (fair enough :) [Sanadhil] vry well, Vica, would you care for something to drink? [Vica] Ale is fine with me.

  • Sanadhil will a pitcher then

[Vica] So, you saw the show? [Sanadhil] I did, yes. [Vica] What did you think?\ [Sanadhil] I admit I'd never been to the theater before... [Sanadhil] It was interesting to see Aveyrone perceptions of Cozovode culture. It was well performed, I think.

  • Vica smiles at that.

[Vica] Are you from Cozovodë [Vica] ? [Sanadhil] Yes, i came here to study human magics. [Vica] Oh, how fascinating :) [Sanadhil] how about you? [Vica] I was born here, actually. [Vica] I've never been there, though I'd like to visit one day. [Sanadhil] It's wonderful - I miss it, expecially on these humid days....

  • Vica smiles.

[Vica] My mother's told me many stories about her birthplace.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] has she been in the city long? [Vica] About eighty years.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Vica] Maybe a bit longer, I forget. [Vica] I suppose she'll go back one of these days. I hope I'm able to go with her.

  • Sanadhil wonders if her mom has told her about human slavery :x

[Sanadhil] They operate on such a diferent time scale there - I'm sure it would hardly seem like anything's changed. [Vica] Probably. [Vica] It's funny - I've never met anyone else who was half... like me. I don't think it's something that happens often. [Vica] Is it more common where you're from? [Sanadhil] Somewhat more, but still fairly rare

  • Vica nods.

[Sanadhil] I've only ever met a handful, but you're the first I've run across here, of course [Vica] Well, there are so few Cozovod here, and they mostly keep to themselves. [Vica] I don't mean they're rude or whatever, just they don't tend to marry humans :) [Sanadhil] No.... they don't. [Sanadhil] Less so in Cozovode, even. [Vica] I suppose the play has it right on that at least - the timespans involved are too different.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Vica] Can I ask, how old are you, actually? [Sanadhil] thirty

  • Vica nods.

[Sanadhil] I hear it is rude to ask a lady [Vica] I'm close to that too. People always think I'm younger, though.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I get that a lot. It is sometimes hard to get taken seriously... [Vica] Yes. Although as an actress, at least it means that I can play younger parts longer ;) [Sanadhil] there is that! [Sanadhil] May I ask what your mother does? [Vica] She's retired now... [Vica] But she used to be a whore.

  • Vica says matter-of-factly.

[Sanadhil] ahh

  • Sanadhil says non judgementally

[Sanadhil] (what is the opinion of hos n Codovoë?) [Vica] (poor - it's very degrading to take money for sex, in their opinion) [Sanadhil] How did you get i to acting? [Vica] Oh, you know, it seemed like fun. [Vica] What about your parents? Which one was human? [Sanadhil] Well, I'm not certain. [Sanadhil] I ws left at a monestary as an infant and raised there [Vica] Oh. I'm sorry.

  • Sanadhil shrugs

[Sanadhil] It's worked out well enough :)

  • Vica smiles, then.

[Vica] I don't know who my father was, either, except that he was human.

  • Sanadhil nods.

[Sanadhil] It can be interesting to speculat though, can't it? [Vica] I gave up on that a long time ago. [Vica] I used to look at men walking down the street when I was little and wonder if that was him, but there are so many of them, and it could be anyone... [Sanadhil] Well, at least you culd narrow it down to gender ;) [Vica] I suppose there's that. [Sanadhil] (is she uncomfortable wit the topic?) [Vica] (no, but she really does seem to have given up on the idea of finding her father) [Vica] I should get going. But perhaps we could meet again :) [Sanadhil] I would like that.

  • Vica smiles and takes her leave, then.


  • Sanadhil will arrange to meet Ilphère at school so that Dom wil be less likely to be hanging around (?)

[Sanadhil] (or at least wll be more easy to ditch?) [Ilphere] (sure!)

  • Sanadhil will comandeer an empty classroo and pull shut the door
  • Ilphere settles leans back slightly on a desk, while her familiar settles on the back of a chair.

[Sanadhil] Thank you [Sanadhil] I anted to speak with you about a number of related matters... [Ilphere] Oh? [Ilphere] What is it? [Ilphere] Have you some new information on [lowers voice] the order...?

  • Ilphere asks, not without eagerness.
  • Sanadhil nods

[Ilphere] Did you get... a card...? [Sanadhil] I receive another invitation yesterday, yes [Sanadhil] I presume it was from them

  • Ilphere nods with ill-concealed excitement.

[Sanadhil] to meet three - two now - days hence, at the arch, after midnght

  • Sanadhil speaks lowly

[Ilphere] Yes, mine was the same...! [Ilphere] I would very much like to go and observe...! [Sanadhil] you plan to attend?

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ilphere] But... there may be a problem.

  • Ilphere frowns prettily.

[Sanadhil] oh? [Ilphere] Dominik...

  • Sanadhil waits

[Ilphere] His sister is plotting against me, because I am in the running, so to speak, to be betrothed to the Emperor's brother...!

  • Ilphere sighs exasperatedly as if this were all soooo very annoying.

[Sanadhil] Ahh. [Sanadhil] how do you mean, 'plotting'? [Ilphere] She is looking for something to use against me, and Dominik says that my working with you might... appear unseemly to some eyes, and so she might spread lies about what it is we are doing...

  • Ilphere looks worried.

[Sanadhil] Hmm. [Ilphere] If I am running away from my chaperone, oh, bodyguard.. whatever...! It will look the worse; I am not sure what the solution is...! I don't want to abandon my research...!

  • Ilphere sounds frustrated. The bird ruffles its feathers.

[Sanadhil] I'm sure we can think of something..

  • Sanadhil says reassuringly

[Ilphere] Deceit is not my forté... :( I could not come up with a plan on my own... [Sanadhil] I had an idea the other day that may help to some small extent [Ilphere] Apart from bringing Dominik in on it, but that is almost certainly a stupid idea...! [Ilphere] What was yours?

  • Ilphere asks hopefully.

[Sanadhil] It was somewhat more academically oriented, but still...

  • Ilphere listens intently.

[Sanadhil] I think that we can more broadly contextualize this research we are doing in a way that will seem less compromising to outsiders [Ilphere] What do you have in mind...? [Sanadhil] Simply - if we aim to produce something specific, such as a paper examinng the nature of enchantment in terms of innate abilities of creatures of different planes... [Sanadhil] it gives us more to research for one, that coveres both of our interests and backgrounds [Ilphere] Yes, I see...! [Ilphere] I would be delighted to corroborate with you...! What an excellent idea. [Ilphere] I still need a way to deal with Dominik... He won't care if I'm writing a thousand papers, he always has to follow along everywhere...! [Ilphere] :/

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] There would be practical work involved to which he is simply not suited, presumably. [Ilphere] He will say there is no reason he can't come and watch, or some such thing...! [Ilphere] I wish I knew whether I could trust him...! [Ilphere] I do not think he is overfond of his sister, but that does not mean that he wants to aid me... [Sanadhil] Is there any sort of incentive that you could offer him in that regard? [Ilphere] I just don't know what interests him at all...

  • Ilphere sags in on herself a little bit, throwing up her hands.

[Sanadhil] His martial studies, for what I've seen [Sanadhil] which is, sdmittledly, very litle [Ilphere] If I do marry Menard, it could mean a place at the palace for him... but I don't know if that would appeal or not. He doesn't seem to enjoy guarding me overmuch...! [Sanadhil] how did you learn of his sister's plotting? [Ilphere] He told me. [Sanadhil] Why? [Ilphere] I'm... not really sure? [Ilphere] At first I thought he might be threatening me... but then it seemed more like he wanted me to be prepared...? [Sanadhil] hmmm [Sanadhil] What is his sister like? [Sanadhil] Do they get along? [Ilphere] She sounds like a scheming, horrid cow, if I may be so blunt...!

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] maybe they just don't get along? [Ilphere] I think that he... gets along with her as he must, for the sake of family, but no, he does not like her.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ilphere] He told me that he... he is not in a position to deny her information about me if she asks... like where I am going and with who... :( And that if he didn't tell her, in any case she will just make up something worse. [Sanadhil] . o ( as though she could! ) [Sanadhil] well then it is essential she doesn't learn of your real activities. [Sanadhil] have you any idea the time scale in which this is likely to play out? [Ilphere] It depends on how quickly Marl moves on his own wedding plans. [Ilphere] If he marries Lavinie Rademacher, than Zivia's scheming is for naught... It is him that she desires. [Ilphere] She thinks that if I marry his brother, Marl will not feel he needs any more ties with the Rademachers, since I am of that family on my mother's side.... [Ilphere] Oh it is all so foolish...! [Ilphere] ]:(

  • Sanadhil looks sympathetic

[Sanadhil] Are they related? [Sanadhil] Dominik's sister and miss Rademancher, that is [Ilphere] They are cousins. [Sanadhil] right [Sanadhil] well... i don't now [Ilphere] Dominik's father is my uncle, {can'trememberhisname] Rademacher. [Sanadhil] the *safest* option woud proably be for you to suspend your investigation for the moment, though i hardly expect you to find that appealing! [Ilphere] No, no indeed!

  • Ilphere says firmly, crossing her arms.
  • Sanadhil smiles

[Ilphere] Knowledge is not advanced without taking risks...! [Sanadhil] . o ( among other things.... ) [Sanadhil] Indeed....

  • Sanadhil sighs

[Ilphere] I will speed to Dominik again... and try to figure out how best to proceed with him. [Sanadhil] what did you tell domink last time? [Ilphere] I told him that we were conducting sensitive interviews for our research, and that the subjects would not cooperate if he were there. [Ilphere] He wasn't pleased... [Ilphere] :/ [Ilphere] I think he could tell I was not being honest. I am just not used to deceit...! [Sanadhil] No, of course not

  • Sanadhil thinks

[Sanadhil] I'm sorry, but I can't think of anything better that would serve to put him off this time... [Sanadhil] we have some little time, at least [Ilphere] Yes... in the meantime I will try to figure out what I can expect from him... I will let you know what happens...!

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I will see what I can think of [Ilphere] I should return to the library... Dominik will be looking for me soon.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] . o ( if all else fails I could always charm him ) [Sanadhil] good luck [Ilphere] Thank you... :)

  • Ilphere says sincerley, before flitting off with her bird.


  • Alma is home, studying the Almas Genara or or the WAy of the Wheel or somesuch.

[Aden_] (Your maid will announce M. Olivier's arrival, blah blah) [Aden_] Sister Alma, it's a pleasure to see you again. [Alma] M. Olivier, good day :) I did not expect to see you again to soon. [Aden_] Really? I had hoped to see you again sooner, but time has not been on my side, alas. :)

  • Alma smiles at the compliment.

[Aden_] How have you been? [Alma] I've been well. And I keep myself busy. [Alma] How have you been since the Council? [Aden_] All right. Disappointed, of course, but also encouraged by the amount of support I did manage to garner. [Alma] In that you weren't alone though, only one was to be Emperor :) [Aden_] That's very true. [Aden_] And then there was the terrible tragedy at the Hall of Worthies. A great shock to everyone. [Alma] (I'm going to assume from the fact she presented it at our "Club Meeting" that Vianca's research isn't intended to be secret in any way.) [Aden_] (yeah, that's a fair assumption) [Alma] Yes... a great concern :( [Alma] A dark beginning for the reign of an Emperor... [Aden_] Yes. If I believed in omens... well. [Aden_] Hopefully it will not cause any further problems. [Alma] I find myself doubting that... [Aden_] I confess, I do as well. But there seems to be nothing to be done about it at present. [Alma] Not from tea rooms, at least :)

  • Aden_ smiles.

[Aden_] Many other things, however, may be accomplished there.

  • Alma nods.

[Aden_] For instance, it's evident that there is not-inconsiderable support for changes to our current way of governing. [Aden_] One proposal that seems to be meeting with some favour is the idea of calling the Great Council more frequently, in order to advise the Emperor on important decisions. [Alma] That sounds like an expensive proposal. [Aden_] Possibly. It might also prove difficult for those with distant estates. [Alma] If notice is short, that is most of the Empire. [Alma] Even Béziers is far away, on short notice. [Aden_] Indeed. It might be an option to allow members of the Council to send delegates who would remain in the city on a permanent basis.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] Are you suggesting the Emperor would be obliged to comply with the advice of the Council? [Aden_] I think that would be sensible, seeing as how he was chosen by them. However, the Emperor himself might not agree.

  • Alma considers.

[Alma] Has it been suggested that, rather than the entire Council, those members of the Emperor's House be instead convened? [Aden_] I don't believe anyone has suggested that as an option. Do you think that would be preferable? [Alma] I see the goal is to seek additional input, rather than rely on one imperfect soul, but to call the Council together, or even their representatives, seems a very taxing process. Residences must be upheld, sorcerors hired, etc.

  • Aden_ nods, listening.

[Alma] A good way to reduce that would be to select a portion of the Council, and an appropriate portion WOULD be the House of the Emperor. There would be no need to quibble about who is a part of this "smaller" council. [Aden_] Perhaps... [Aden_] My concern would be that the Emperor has the power to create - and uncreate - nobles. [Alma] That could unbalance the council no matter what its size. [Aden_] True. And perhaps he would be less likely to remove those who disagree with him if they are from his own House. [Alma] Kinship :)

  • Aden_ chuckles.

[Aden_] The bonds of kinship are often not as strong as one might think :) [Alma] Diablotin is a very big city... it can be hard. [Alma] But I believe the Gods gave us the Houses for a purpose. If we are nothing else in life, we are a member of our House.

  • Aden_ nods.

[Aden_] You raise excellent points, Sister. [Aden_] You've given me much to think about.

  • Alma considers...

[Alma] I must admit that I do appreciate the idea of ... a more active Council. If the Council, Gods forbid, makes a mistake in chosing the Emperor, it's a mistake that will last a lifetime. [Alma] But I don't believe we should rush change either... [Aden_] Indeed. [Alma] Unless it weighs heavily on us, or our people. [Aden_] Yes. If I may speak frankly, I am afraid, in this case, that it may.

  • Alma sighs, remembering the riot, and the deaths.
  • Alma holds her holy symbol lightly.

[Aden_] I hope I haven't upset you, Sister.

  • Aden_ says, looking concerned.

[Alma] I'm fine, M. Olivier... I was just there after the trouble happened...

  • Aden_ nods.

[Aden_] A terrible business. [Aden_] I hope nothing like that will happen again. [Alma] So do I. [Aden_] It has been most informative talking with you, Sister. Thank you again for granting me this time. [Alma] I'm glad for your visit, M. Olivier. [Aden_] Perhaps we can meet again in the future :) [Alma] Certainly. :) [Aden_] I would like that.

  • Aden_ will bid you farewell .
  • Alma will have Marielle or Sagesse see him out