Diablotin 2 session 58

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 2 session logs
Previous Session 58 Next

Summary

Session

Session date:
Diablotin date:

Dominik, Cornelia and Marl

[DiablotinNarrator] All right, we'll begin with Dom. Two days after your fight with the demon (?) on the bridge, you are summoned to talk to the Warlord and the Emperor.

  • Dominik will show up as summoned, dressed in his typical attire

[Nash] Dominik Rademacher?

[Dominik] (what is the proper address for the warlord, Lord? Lady?)

  • Nash has a variety of papers and notes before her.

[Nash] (My Lady would be fine)

[Dominik] Yes, my Lady?

[Nash] Have a seat.

  • Dominik nods and will sit down
  • Dominik looks at her and Marl
  • Marl is just keeping quiet for now, standing by the window.

[Nash] So, I would like to hear your version of what happened on the Bridge of Vanities.

  • Nash 's pen is poised.

[Dominik] Is there a particular point you would like me to start, or shall I begin when myself and Fredericia Hartzell arrived a tthe bridge?

[Nash] Begin with why you decided to go there in the first place.

[Dominik] Fredericia approached me at the event that evening and mentioned that she had heard of a disturbance at the Bridge of Vanities, recommended that I make alternate arrangements for my journey home that evening.

[Dominik] I suggested that instead we should look into the situation ourselves.

[Dominik] We procured some arms from the treasury and headed to the bridge.

  • Nash makes a note of that.

[Dominik] That was when we first saw the demon mounted on a black horse.

[Nash] It was on the bridge?

[Dominik] yes

[Nash] Was it taking any menacing action at that time?

[Dominik] The local captain informed us that none of her men were capable of stepping on to the bridge, due to fear, or some magical effect, although she herself was able to do so.

[Dominik] It was taking no menacing actions, other than holding the bridge.

[Nash] Why did you decide to attack?

[Dominik] It was a demon and its purpose seemed to prevent the use of the bridge, although at the time, I didn't understand its why to the purpose.

  • Nash nods, making a note of that.

[Dominik] Getting rid of it seemed the appropriate thing to do and I was confident that Fredericia and myself could end the situation.

[Nash] Did it say anything to you during the confrontation?

[Dominik] Nothing that I specifically recall. It did mutter a few magical incantations that it attempted to employ against us.

[Nash] And, in your evaluation, was this creature a serious threat, or a distraction?

[Dominik] I feel it was a tool for a specific purpose, to close the bridge. Beyond that I doubt it could have proven much of a real threat. So a distraction really.

  • Nash nods.

[Dominik] The effect that was preventing the guardsmen from approaching the bridge did not end with the demons defeat.

[Nash] Yes... it was an Unhallow spell, it had to be removed.

[Dominik] Do you know if the demon was the source of the spell?

[Nash] We are not certain. All that we can say is that they appeared at approximately the same time.

[Dominik] The black horse could fly so the demon had plenty of mobility for approaching the bridge unseen.

[Nash] Our experts have told us the creature was a Night Hag. They don't believe that such creatures are normally capable of casting Unhallow, but there are always exceptions...

[Nash] Were you injured by the Hag at all?

[Dominik] No, I took a grazing kick to the shoulder by the horse. Fredericia was bit by it. Is there a concern? The guard cleric took a look at it right afterward.

[Nash] Yes, it's a concern. They can spread disease.

[Nash] You're not feeling sick, though?

[Dominik] What kind of disease? No... no I'm not feeling sick at all

[Dominik] (am I?)

[Nash] (no, you feel fine)

[Nash] Just in case.

  • Nash stands and approaches you with a gemstone in her hand.

[Nash] This won't hurt.

[Dominik] what are you doing?

[Nash] Taking sensible precautions. Removing the disease, if you're infected and don't know it yet.

  • Dominik nods

[Nash] You would probably know if you were - it normally manifests in a day or so.

[Nash] But just in case.

  • Nash applies the gem to your forehead.

[DiablotinNarrator] You feel nothing different, and after a moment she removes it.

  • Nash resumes her seat.

[Dominik] Is there something more you wanted to know? I could try and give you a blow by blow account of the fight.

[Nash] We are mainly concerned at this point with who or what cast the Unhallow spell, whether this was deliberately connected to the fall of the Market Bridge, and the possible spread of this disease.

[Nash] If you know anything about any of those matters, we would be greatly interested to hear you out, of course.

[Nash] Otherwise, I think we are done here. Oh, except for your reward.

[Dominik] As to the disease, since this is if the first I'm hearing of it, there is little I can add, other than Fredericia should be contacted.

[Dominik] A reward?

[Nash] We sent a summons for her as well, but she hasn't presented herself yet. If we haven't seen her by tonight, we'll go looking for her.

  • Dominik nods, planning to go look for her right after this meeting

[Nash] Well, your reward.

[Nash] At some point we might like to recognize your service more formally, but for now, hopefully this will go some measure to showing our gratitude.

  • Nash offers you a bag of cash.
  • Dominik will gladly take a bag of cash

[Nash] (500 imps for you)

[Dominik] I don't have any facts for your first area of investigation but my gut says, and I'm sure you're likely convinced too, that the events at the two bridges are connected.

[Nash] Yes. We believe that they most likely are.

[Nash] If we have any further questions, or if you learn anything that might contribute to our investigation, we will speak again.

[Dominik] Of course

[Marl] Thank you for your service, M. Rademacher. Let me walk you out.

  • Dominik nods his assent
  • Marl walks with you, which is a bit odd.

[Marl] I have a question for you...

[Dominik] Yes?

[Marl] What is your current involvement with Ilphere?

[Marl] I know that at one point, you were her... bodyguard?

[Dominik] I serve as a bodyguard now, under her employ, when she deems it is required.

[Marl] I see.

[Marl] I ask because there is a ... a vacancy in the court, which needs to be filled, preferably with someone skilled in arms.

[Marl] I wanted to see if you might be interested.

[Dominik] A vacancy, you say?

  • Dominik does seem genuinly curious

[Marl] Yes, well - my cousin's death has left the ranks of my personal attendants diminished.

[Marl] You're of suitable rank and stature, and apparently know how to fight, which is one of the lesser-known requirements of the job.

[Dominik] My skill is with arms, and not with courtly matters, I would be little use to you in those areas.

[Marl] That's not strongly necessary - there are many others who can cover those areas.

[Marl] Mostly you have to be willing to spend excessive amounts of time with me, and take a blade or a spell for me if it should be necessary.

[Marl] There are many compensations for the sacrifices involved, of course.

[Dominik] Your offer, sire, has many serious merits that I must consider. How soon must I decide?

[Marl] I would prefer to know as soon as possible - within a day or two?

[Dominik] Then I will send word by the end of the day today.

[Marl] Very well.

[Marl] Good day, M. Rademacher.

[Dominik] And to you, Emperor.

Alma and Danyel

[DiablotinNarrator] Alma, you are investigating into the murder of Janelle and Alesia Rionet. So what are you doing in the course of this investigation?

  • Alma will try to find out the location of the attack, and try to get a vision of the events.
  • Alma would also offer to Speak with Dead

[Alma] (On the off chance the knew the attackers)

[DiablotinNarrator] You can find the location easily enough. It's a muddy area at the side of the river.

  • Alma will bring Danyel with her for moral support.
  • Danyel will of course come with you if you wish.

[Alma] (I know they pulled the carriage ot the side, so I'll try to get an impression from where the Guard think the killings actually occurred, it it was pulled further after the attack.)

[Alma] I think this is it.

[DiablotinNarrator] OK.. Other than that the killings took place in the carriage, they don't know whether it was at the road or off to the side - more likely off to the side, for greater privacy.

  • Alma will head to where the carriage wheel impressions are deepest.
  • Alma will hold Danyel's hand.

[Alma] Here goes.

  • Danyel nods.

[Alma] (I have probably brought a nice fold-out chair tbh)

  • Alma casts Guidance and Owl's Wisdom before beginning to concentrate
  • Alma assumes she will have to go back some time, through the Guillame's arrival and that of the guards.

[DiablotinNarrator] (seems likely, yes)

[Alma] (41)

[DiablotinNarrator] You do indeed go back through Guillame's arrival and investigation

  • Alma is obviously distressed by what she sees, squeezing DAnyel's hand for comfort, but continues to focus

[Alma] (35)

[Alma] (I'll destiny any failures until I see it.)

[DiablotinNarrator] After half an hour or so of that, you get to the scene you wanted to see...

[DiablotinNarrator] You see the carriage being dragged into the bushes. There are two men that you can see, but their faces are covered.

[DiablotinNarrator] One of the carriage doors opens and its passengers are trying to get out, but the door is slammed shut by one of the men.

[DiablotinNarrator] Then one of the men seems to be casting a spell of some sort.

[Alma] (Is it too vague to get a Spellcraft roll?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (yes)

[DiablotinNarrator] Then the other man goes around and opens the door on the other side, getting into the carriage. You only have hints of what happens there. WHen he exits, he leaves the door slightly open, and you can see an arm hanging out, limp.

[DiablotinNarrator] The man has something in his hands - the rat, you suppose.

[DiablotinNarrator] He whispers something to it, puts it down on the ground and it runs off.

[DiablotinNarrator] Then they leave, and that's all you get.

  • Alma opens her eyes eventually.
  • Danyel looks anxious.
  • Alma lets out a sigh, conflicted.

[Danyel] What happened?

[Alma] I'm not sure... their faces were covered, of course.

  • Danyel nods.

[Alma] I'm not sure what help it will be.

[Danyel] How many were there?

  • Alma pulls him in close for a hug.
  • Danyel hugs you back.

[Alma] Two. One a caster...

[Alma] (Were the drivers ever found?)

[Danyel] (not that you have heard of yet, anyway)

[Alma] I couldn't tell if they were the drivers.

  • Danyel nods.

[Danyel] They could have been, or could have taken the place of the real drivers... or they could just have accosted them on the road, I suppose.

[Alma] One whispered something to the girl before he let her go...

[Alma] (Did he seem to put the rat down gently?)

[Danyel] (yes)

[Alma] Perhaps she can tell us what he said...

[Alma] It might be helpful.

[Danyel] If she's able, yes.

[Alma] Let's go.

  • Alma will walk back to the rented carriage with him.
  • Danyel goes with you.

[Alma] It's strange, it seemed like he put her down gently... Silvia that is.

[Alma] Perhaps he knew her.

[Danyel] Well... if he was leaving her to send a message of some sort, I suppose he wouldn't have wanted her harmed? I don't know.

[Alma] But if she hadn't been found... she'd have forgotten who she was, and the message.

[Danyel] Unless her transformation itself was the message.

  • Alma nods.

[Danyel] Although I don't know why they would have set her free.

[Danyel] If they wanted her to be found, they could have left her in the carriage. She wouldn't have been able to get out...

  • Alma goes over the full details of what she saw.

[Alma] I suppose the spell was the Baleful Polymorph

[Danyel] Perhaps.

  • Alma will make a point to talk with Guillame about talking with Silvia

Guillame and Theonee

[DiablotinNarrator] Guillame, you are required to meet with the Chancellor, in order to sort out the succession to your mother's title.

[Guillame] (ok)

  • Theonee is waiting for you when you arrive.

[Guillame] (If possible, I'd have talked to the Emperor to get advice beforehand)

[Guillame] (Just in case he has any preferences for what I should do)

[Theonee] (your Emperor? or the real one? ;)

[Guillame] (Mine)

[Theonee] (heh - well, his personal view is that Imperial titles are just a way of sucking up to the mainstream, becoming integrated, and losing your culture, etc. but he doesn't stop people from taking them if they want, or shun them or whatever)

[Guillame] (ok)

[Theonee] My condolences for your loss, M. Rionet.

[Guillame] Thank you, Chancellor

[Theonee] I know that it is difficult to discuss these matters, but it must be done, I'm afraid.

[Guillame] Yes... it's necessary, and for the best, if anything surrounding these sorts of events can be considered for the best.

[Theonee] These questions are formalities - no offense is intended.

  • Theonee nods.

[Guillame] I shall try to remain unoffended... I'm usually quite good at it...

[Theonee] Very well. You are the eldest child of Janelle Rionet, and you were born in wedlock, correct?

[Guillame] Yes, that's correct.

[Theonee] Your mother's wish was that you would inherit her title, according to the normal laws of inheritance.

  • Guillame nods acceptance of the statement.

[Theonee] Of course, your engagement to the Duchess of Corcyra presents a certain slight complication here. That is, if you intend to proceed with the wedding.

[Guillame] I do at present... what is the complication?

[Theonee] One cannot hold two titles simultaneously, except under extraordinary circumstances. So if you are Duke of Corcyra, you can't also be Duke of Coindeliere.

[Theonee] If you had a legitimate child, one of the titles could pass to them, but of course you do not... so far as I am aware?

[Guillame] Ah, I see your point, yes.

[Guillame] No, no children.

  • Theonee nods.

[Theonee] This may be something you need to discuss with your fiancee, then. My records indicate she has no siblings. If you proceed with the marriage, then the only option I can see would be for your sister ... Silvia, is it... to take the title of Duchess of Coindeliere.

[Guillame] I suppose I shall have to discuss that with both Portia and with my sister, Silvia, to determine our best course of action.

[Guillame] Yes, as you say.

  • Theonee nods.

[Guillame] Would it also be an option for Portia to retain Corcyra?

[Theonee] Portia would retain Corcyra, and if you are her husband, you would share her title, under this envisioning of the distribution.

[Guillame] I see, yes. As we are considered a unit once married, and so cannot hold two titles between us.

  • Theonee nods.

[Guillame] I assure you we will consider carefully how to proceed.

[Theonee] That's correct.

[Theonee] For now, I suggest you assume your mother's title. If you decide to pass it to your sister within a short period of time, there is nothing prohibiting that.

[Guillame] That's an excellent suggestion.

[Theonee] Very well.

[Theonee] I apologize for the lack of ceremony, but... it's been a busy few days.

  • Theonee says, with considerable understatement.

[Guillame] I... yes, that's certainly true.

  • Theonee jots something down on her papers, then offers it to you to sign.
  • Guillame reads the papers carefully before signing, if nothing seems insidious or amiss.

[Theonee] (nope - "I [insert name here] do hereby assume the title of [insert title here]" etc)

  • Guillame will sign, then

[Theonee] As your sister is still underage, it would be best if you serve as her guardian. Is that your intention?

[Guillame] Yes, I think that's best... if it proves not to be, I'm sure we can find another arrangement.

  • Theonee nods.
  • Theonee has some other paperwork for you to sign, then.
  • Guillame examines it

[Theonee] (assuming guardianship of a minor child, blah blah blah)

  • Guillame takes the time to understand his legal duties, but will sign everything in time

[Theonee] Your mother's will is in order, though the provisions made for your late sister will have to be redistributed of course. She specified that if any of her children were to predecease her, their share should be evenly divided between the surviving children...

  • Guillame has some trouble dealing with that emotionally.

[Theonee] I don't believe this presents any serious difficulties, legally-speaking.... oh.

  • Theonee notices that you are growing upset.

[Theonee] I'm sorry. If this is too much for today, we can continue at another time.

[Guillame] No, no... I'll be ok.

  • Guillame bites his lip and soldiers on.

[Theonee] Very well.

  • Theonee continues through the legal details, you sign some more papers, and matters seem to be resolved.

[Theonee] Thank you for taking the time to deal with these matters, Your Grace.

  • Theonee says when all is concluded.

[Guillame] Who? Oh, me.

[Guillame] That's quite alright, of course.

  • Theonee then shows you out.

[Guillame] Thank you for your guidance, Chancellor.

[Theonee] Not at all... just part of my job.

[Guillame] Well, you appear to be good at it, then.

Seth and his family

[DiablotinNarrator] Seth, your mother's funeral is being held today. Do you plan to attend?

[Seth] (yes - for the record, how did I hear about her death?)

[DiablotinNarrator] (probably in the paper or from a Kizer, whichever you think more likely)

[Seth] (awesome)

  • Seth will show up unannounced at the funeral, not having spoken to anyone from the family previously.

[DiablotinNarrator] The funeral ceremony is taking place at your family's local temple, where I doubt you've been in ages.

  • Seth will of course have cleaned himself up nicely.

[DiablotinNarrator] Your family are all in attendance, of course, as well as your mother's extended family, most of whom you don't know that well, some friends and neighbours, and a few Kizers by way of showing their respect, including Leonien.

[DiablotinNarrator] Where are you going to put yourself - up with the rest of the family, or staying at the back?

[Seth] (up with the family)

  • Kex looks at you sternly when you do so.
  • Kex then proceeds to ignore you for the remainder of the ritual.
  • Cyrenne and Euberthe at least seem ... ok with you being there, if not happy.
  • Gwen is the only one of your family who actually comes over to talk to you after.

[Seth] Hello, Gwen.

  • Seth is subdued, very neutral in tone.

[Gwen] How are you holding up?

[Seth] I'm well. You?

  • Gwen shrugs.

[Gwen] all right... Your father's....uh.

  • Gwen shrugs again.

[Seth] Yes, well. I cannot expect much of him.

[Gwen] Do you think you should try to talk to him?

[Seth] Not unless you would like Mother's funeral to turn into a scene.

[Seth] I would not expect him to be civil.

[Gwen] He won't make a scene.

[Gwen] So unless you will, it won't turn into a scene.

[Gwen] I'll go with you if you want...

[Seth] Yes ... I will speak to him.

  • Gwen accompanies you over to where your father is standing, then.
  • Kex nods to her.
  • Kex looks icily at you.

[Seth] Hello, Father.

[Kex] Seth. Good of you to come. No one expected that you would.

[Seth] It was fortunate that His Grace informed me of the date and time.

[Kex] Messengers never seem to manage to locate your current address.

[Seth] The service was competently executed, I thought.

[Kex] As well as could be expected.

[Seth] Tell me what happened.

[Kex] ...we wouldn't even normally have been crossing to the south. If we had just gone home...

  • Kex 's expression wavers for a moment, then regains its composure.

[Kex] We were invited to His Grace's home after the celebrations, and I accepted.

[Kex] That's all.

[Gwen] It's not your fault, you know...

  • Gwen says to her brother.

[Seth] No.

[Kex] If it weren't for me... for my family, and who we are... we wouldn't have been there.

[Seth] That is, of course, true, of all who perished that night.

  • Kex shakes his head.

[Gwen] [q] Don't try to make this into yet another thing the Kizers have done to you - it was an accident, that's all.

[Seth] Indeed, and if we are to determine why this truly happened, the Kizers are the best allies we can have.

  • Kex grimaces slightly at that.

[Kex] It was ...good of you to come.

[Seth] Of course I came.

[Kex] Well.

  • Kex seems uncertain what more to say.

[Seth] Well. Is there ... anything that is needed to be done?

  • Kex shakes his head.

[Kex] Her affairs were mostly in order.

[Seth] Of course.

[Kex] There are some things she wanted you to have...

[Seth] Ah. Shall I ... shall I come to the house?

[Kex] If that is simplest.

[Seth] Yes, I suppose it is.

[Kex] At your convenience, then.

[Seth] Very well.

[Kex] Excuse me.

  • Kex walks away.
  • Gwen pats your arm.

[Gwen] That was...not so bad.

[Seth] For our family, yes.

  • Gwen nods.

[Gwen] You know he wouldn't make a scene in public.

[Seth] Yes, of course.

[Gwen] It's better to talk to him here. It could be different when you go to the house...

[Seth] Perhaps.

[Seth] But there is no alternative.

  • Gwen nods again.

[Gwen] Well, if you want company, just let me know when you're going.

  • Seth nods.

[Seth] I'll think about it.

[Gwen] All right. Take care, Seth.

[Seth] You too, Aunt Gwen.

Ysabeau and Merrow

  • Ysabeau invited Merrow to her house. :)
  • Merrow drops by to see you, then.
  • Merrow is not in uniform, and looks somewhat down.
  • Ysabeau is happy to see him.
  • Ysabeau registers his down expression and gives him a chaste hug.

[Merrow] Hey, how are you doing?

[Ysabeau] Hi Merrow. I'm well enough, thank you. But you - are you all right?

[Merrow] Let's talk...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Would you like some refreshments?

  • Ysabeau settles him in to the sitting room.

[Merrow] I wouldn't say no to something to drink.

[Ysabeau] Hard liquor or tea?

[Merrow] Tea is fine.

  • Ysabeau says with a wry expression.

[Ysabeau] Tea it is then. Help yourself to the treats.

  • Ysabeau nods at the selection of squares and things on the side table.
  • Ysabeau makes the tea and is back before long to listen to what he has to say.

[Merrow] Well, you had asked me to try and find out what information the guards had about Nouel Izaguirre...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Merrow] They have a lot, is the answer. But it's all sealed.

[Ysabeau] Oh. If he was a crime lord, I suppose that makes sense.

  • Ysabeau looks a little puzzled, though.

[Merrow] He was. He also tried to kill Empress Tristane.

[Ysabeau] What? Why? What would that have accomplished? Aside from hurrying the succession along to the next House.

  • Merrow shakes his head in an 'I don't know' kind of way.

[Ysabeau] But the Izaguirres are from House Lizard, aren't they?

[Ysabeau] And so are the Dizons.

[Merrow] Yes, they are.

[Ysabeau] So he couldn't have benefitted.

  • Merrow nods.

[Ysabeau] Well, if it's sealed, it's sealed, I guess.

[Merrow] Welll... I decided to try and get a look at the records anyway.

[Ysabeau] Oh no, you didn't...?!

[Merrow] It didn't go so well.

[Ysabeau] They caught you.

[Merrow] Yeah.

[Ysabeau] Oh Merrow.

[Merrow] I'm sorry, Ysa.

[Ysabeau] You shouldn't have done that. Not on my account.

[Ysabeau] You don't need to apologize to me.

[Ysabeau] I suppose you've lost your job now, because of me.

[Ysabeau] I am the one who should apologize to you.

  • Ysabeau looks kind of at a loss.

[Merrow] No... I shouldn't have been so stupid.

[Merrow] I could have helped you if I hadn't gotten caught...

  • Ysabeau shakes her head and pours tea into cups, handing one to him.
  • Merrow sighs.

[Ysabeau] Merrow, you have helped me. You helped me turn my life around.

[Ysabeau] I never, ever wanted you to risk your own future for me, though.

[Ysabeau] I'm sorry. I should never have asked.

[Ysabeau] I just didn't know who else to turn to.

[Ysabeau] I didn't know they'd be sealed, or that this might happen.

[Merrow] It's all right. I can work at the Demon, until something else comes along.

  • Ysabeau nods, sadly.

[Ysabeau] I wish there was something I could do to ameliorate things.

[Merrow] I did see a few things before I got caught.

[Ysabeau] What did you see? You've sacrificed so much. Hopefully the things you know will help us work out what the void is going on in this city, somehow.

[Merrow] Like that in his files, there's a file for an 'Althea Dark' and one for a 'Tatiane Renaud'. I didn't get to see what was in them, but they're there.

[Ysabeau] Well... Althea Dark was probably the same person as Althea Deverara.

[Ysabeau] Tatiane Renaud is La Corriveau, if I remember correctly.

[Ysabeau] I wish Altheo were around still. He was a Renaud, too.

[Merrow] There was also something that said 'de Quessenet', that's the Princess's family.

  • Ysabeau looks surprised.

[Ysabeau] I don't know if Ilphere would have the slightest clue what that might be about, but I suppose I could always ask her.

[Merrow] From what I could see, they seemed like they thought he was going crazy, in the last little while before he died.

[Ysabeau] M. Izaguirre?

  • Merrow nods.

[Ysabeau] And who is 'they'?

[Merrow] The guards who were in charge of the file way back then.

[Ysabeau] What were their names?

[Ysabeau] Maybe some of them are still around.

[Merrow] There were a lot of them working on it... only name I remember was Lt. Andry.

[Ysabeau] :/

[Ysabeau] Did you see anything else before they caught you?

[Merrow] Sorry :/

[Merrow] It should be possible for someone to find out Lt. Andry's first name, and who was working under him. *that's* probably not sealed, at least.

  • Ysabeau tries to make the best of a bad situation.

[Ysabeau] It's all right Merrow. I'm not upset that you didn't see much.

[Ysabeau] I'm upset that you risked so much for me and that you lost your job.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Merrow] It'll be all right.

[Ysabeau] If you say so...

  • Ysabeau doesn't sound convinced.

[Ysabeau] What possessed you, Merrow? You don't owe me that much. You don't owe me anything.

[Merrow] I just ... I wanted to help you.

  • Ysabeau dashes away some tears, trying to control herself.

[Merrow] I should probably get going.

[Ysabeau] No. Please don't.

[Ysabeau] I'm just trying to understand, and trying to think of how to make it better.

[Ysabeau] The Shambles will be the worse, without you there.

[Merrow] It's all right, really - after twenty years there, it's probably good I go on to something else anyway. They weren't ever gonna make me a captain or anything ;)

  • Ysabeau laughs shakily.

[Ysabeau] I wish I were someone powerful, someone who could pull strings for you, get you set up somehow.

[Ysabeau] But I'm not. I'm just me.

[Merrow] I don't expect you to do anything, Ysa. Really. I'll be fine.

  • Ysabeau nods, trying to believe him.

[Ysabeau] I'll have to try extra hard to find out what's going on now, to make your sacrifice worthwhile.

[Ysabeau] I just don't know how to do it.

[Ysabeau] It's so frustrating.

[Ysabeau] I don't know how you did it for so many years. Investigating and all.

[Merrow] (moving on!)

Ilphere, Sanadhil and the Cult

[DiablotinNarrator] Ilphere and Sanadhil, Phedre has invited you to her home for an unknown purpose.

  • Sanadhil will of course attend :o
  • Ilphere will as well.

[DiablotinNarrator] Several of the other members of the inner circle are also present when you arrive, and the rest show up shortly later.

  • Ilphere glances around at the assembled group and smiles politely, but sticks close to Sanadhil.

[Sanadhil] (I assume that they are sneaky about it, but what kinds of precautions do they appear to be taking?)

[Phedre] Thank you for coming, and on such short notice...

  • Sanadhil nods, but listens for now

[DiablotinNarrator] (Some arrive invisibly, or under spells that disguise their appearance, some teleport in, etc. Some are just sneaky ;)

[Sanadhil] (keen)

[Phedre] There is some new information that has come to my attention, and I felt it should be shared, as we all continue our respective courses of research.

  • Ilphere listens with interest...

[Phedre] Ilphere recently shared a vision she had with me, that... well, perhaps you wish to tell everyone yourself?

  • Phedre says, looking to Ilphere.

[Ilphere] Oh...!

  • Ilphere is somewhat startled to be called upon, but will relate what she saw...

[DiablotinNarrator] The rest of the group listen with varying degrees of interest.

  • Sanadhil listens carefully

[Phedre] This entity, Emkathon.... I have spoken to Earric about it, and learned what I could from that channel.

  • Sanadhil assumes Earric is not in attendance, but was he anywhere apparent in the house?
  • Sanadhil still listens

[DiablotinNarrator] (you didn't see him)

[Phedre] He acknowledges its existence, as a ...counterpart, or counterbalance perhaps, to Kavreshar.

[Phedre] Justice and Mercy.

  • Ilphere waits eagerly to hear the rest...!

[Phedre] He believes it to be dead, however.

[Sanadhil] hmm...

[Phedre] And not just recently, but long, long dead.

[Sanadhil] How long?

[Phedre] At or around the time of the Serpent's imprisonment, according to him.

[Ilphere] What led him to believe this..?

[Phedre] He reported that all efforts to contact this being failed around that time. I presume he meant his own efforts...

  • Sanadhil nods

[Phedre] But Ilphere's vision suggests it survived at least a short while - long enough to make some sort of bargain with one of the founders, Laeken of House Wolf.

[Phedre] The nature of this bargain, should it be proven, is of considerable interest to me.

  • Ilphere nods ...!
  • Sanadhil considers how it could be proved...

[Sanadhil] hmmm...

[Phedre] I would gladly attempt to learn more about this, with Legend Lore, if we feel it is important, though the time involved may be considerable.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ilphere] (SC on that spell)

[Phedre] (sure)

[Ilphere] (33)

[Phedre] (what did you want to know about it?)

[Sanadhil] Some of the information we have about that period comes from Loch DuChamp... Apparently he and some other experienced a vision of the arrival of the founders after passing through the lower arch.

[Ilphere] (well I can look it up, just wanted to know if I could ;)

[Phedre] (yep)

  • Phedre nods.

[Sanadhil] I don't know that there is any way to control what one see or experiences, however.

[Phedre] Yes... My father was one of those present, as were the parents of several others here.

[Phedre] My father believed, and I don't know if this is true, that it showed them aspects of their past lives.

[Sanadhil] hmm.

  • Sanadhil looks to Ilphere
  • Sanadhil considers

[Sanadhil] :Should we mention Seth's dream experience of the arch?:

[Butler] This is all very interesting from a scholarly standpoint, I'm sure, but what exactly is its relevance to our current situation?

[Ilphere] Well, the Arch no longer functions as it did in this plane, above or below.

[Ilphere] : ... perhaps, yes; although I do not know how we could recreate it, lacking his particular... abilities..!:

[Bessa] No, indeed.

[Sanadhil] I was considering whether it could be used to view a more specific event.

[Phedre] If there is a lack of balance in the Serpent, perhaps it is attributable to the loss of Emkathon. The loss of mercy.

  • Phedre ponders.

[Ilphere] It seems logical to me...

  • Sanadhil nods

[Butler] So find this Emkathon, the Serpent's fixed up?

[Bessa] Maybe...

  • Bessa seems doubtful.

[Bessa] I still don't know how it would fix the Arch, though.

[Bessa] And even if we *could* find Emkathon, if it's dead, what good would that do?

[Loric] The bargain was to preserve the blood?

[Sanadhil] Ilphere's vision suggests that it might have.... embued some of its power in a human lineage, perhaps?

  • Loric says to Ilphere
  • Sanadhil nods to Loric
  • Ilphere nods...

[Loric] Its own power, or that of the Serpent?

[Sanadhil] Perhaps the power can be awakened in some way.

[Ilphere] That is what Thaleus said, anyway...

[Sanadhil] Its own, I think.

[Sanadhil] if the Serpent was already destroyed, as the dream seemed to suggest.

[Ilphere] (sec, checking the exact words in the log)

[Ilphere] Thaleus said 'the blood of the serpent', which was shed in its fall, and given into my family's keeping...

  • Phedre nods.

[Phedre] And there was a vessel, in the dream - a jar, yes?

[Sanadhil] hmm.

[Ilphere] Yes.

[Phedre] It could be merely symbolic, I suppose - but if it were real...

[Loric] Legend Lore just takes so *long*. If we could find this vessel... it would be much more efficient.

[Ilphere] He also raised the question of whether Emkathon was dead, or merely 'lost' or sleeping...

[Phedre] Where might one find things that belonged to someone so long ago, though...

[Phedre] If it was not handed down in the family.

[Sanadhil] There are tombs thought to belong to the founders

[Phedre] Which it could have been, I suppose - handed down and lost, eventually...

[Sanadhil] as far as I can ascertain, they haven't been disturbed

  • Loric nods.

[Ilphere] What about Thaleus' tomb?

[Loric] Moreover, Thaleus Rademacher's tomb is also extant - perhaps there's something there that might be of relevance.

[Loric] My thoughts exactly.

  • Loric says with a smile to Ilphere.
  • Ilphere returns the smile...

[Phedre] I think it's worth it - if it cuts the casting time down from weeks to days, or even minutes, well...

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ilphere] Definitely...!

[Sanadhil] how difficult would it be?

[Esmena] They'll be well-protected, I suspect. But I can probably arranged to authorize a small group to perform a 'scholarly investigation' of the tombs.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Esmena] The Antiquarian Society seems well-suited to the task.

[Esmena] And if some non-affiliated members are involved, it diffuses attention from us and our true purpose.

[Ilphere] The others would not even know what to look for...

  • Ilphere agrees.

[Phedre] Very well - I trust you will make appropriate arrangements, then, and we will proceed according to what you learn.

  • Phedre says to Ilphere.

[Sanadhil] Excellent, then.

[Ilphere] I hope this will prove fruitful...! :)

[Esmena] As do we all, I'm sure! Thank you all.

[DiablotinNarrator] Everyone departs, then. The End, for now...!

Solos

Ysabeau and Ilphere

  • Ysabeau has invited Ilphere to her house for tea and conversation. She is so happy and excited to own a house!
  • Ilphere will gladly accept..! :)
  • Ysabeau took the morning away from school in order to bake treats because she knows Ilphere's got a sweet tooth. ;)

[Ilphere] (aw yeah :D)

  • Ysabeau is putting the finishing touches on her modest array of squares and cookies, excited for Ilphere's arrival!
  • Ilphere will ring/knock...
  • Ysabeau welcomes you in when you show up!

[Ysabeau] Ilphere!!!

  • Ysabeau gives you a big hug.

[Ysabeau] Come in, come in!

[Ysabeau] (If you have a cloak or anything like that, I'll take it and hang it like a good little hostess.)

[Ysabeau] I should give you the grand tour while the water is boiling.

  • Ilphere does have a cloak, fo'sho

[Ilphere] I would love to see the place..! :)

  • Ysabeau shows you around. It's way smaller than what you'd be used to, but slightly larger than the house she used to live in, and definitely larger than the apartment that was her most recent abode.

[Ysabeau] I even have a guest room!

  • Ysabeau is very proud of her house. It's tastefully decorated well within her means, which is to say, she doesn't have paintings on the walls or things like that. Yet... ;)

[Ilphere] It's lovely...!

[Ysabeau] Thank you!

[Ysabeau] There's a little garden too but I don't have it furnished yet.

[Ysabeau] I'd like to put some wrought iron lawn furniture there, I think. Then we could have tea outside.

[Ysabeau] I need to fix the flower beds up, though. They're all grown over and I don't know what's supposed to be there and what's not.

[Ilphere] That will be quite a project...

  • Ysabeau will show the small walled patio/garden to you; it is indeed looking a bit overgrown but has promise.

[Ilphere] I'm sure they will be beautiful when you are finished...!

[Ysabeau] I hope so.

[Ysabeau] I thought I might even be able to have kitchen garden.

  • Ysabeau beams, and leads you back inside once you've had your fill of the garden.

[Ysabeau] Oh! The kettle!

  • Ysabeau dashes into the kitchen to get the tea brewing.

[Ysabeau] Have a seat in the parlour; help yourself to the treats! I'll join you shortly.

  • Ysabeau calls out, poking her head around the doorframe of the kitchen.

[Ilphere] Oooh thank you...!

[Ilphere] I am famished...

[Ysabeau] (There's fresh-baked crackers and a selection of cheeses, pickles and olives, sweet squares and cookies...)

  • Ysabeau will indeed join you in the parlour with a tray and the tea and cups before too long.

[Ysabeau] So, how have you been?

[Ilphere] Oh, busy...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I heard about Rogier and Perline Kizer. Were they cousins of yours, too? Or just by marriage?

[Ilphere] Probably... I'm not sure to be honest...! I have so many now...

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] I suppose.

[Ilphere] It was terrible about Guillame's family...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Do you believe what the papers are saying? That it was all an accident?

[Ysabeau] Well, not the Rionets... but the bridge.

[Ysabeau] The papers aren't trying to cover up the Rionets, at least. :/

[Ysabeau] Have you seen M. Rionet since...?

  • Ilphere shakes her head.

[Ilphere] I can only imagine there is a mountain of official paperwork and estate matters he has to deal with...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ilphere] On top of dealing with the terrible circumstances of his inheritance. :(

[Ilphere] He will be... a duke, I think, now?

[Ysabeau] Coindeliere, yes...

  • Ysabeau sighs.

[Ysabeau] Sister Alma did say that his sister had been found. He brought her by...

[Ysabeau] She'd been turned into a rat by them!

[Ilphere] A rat...?!

[Ilphere] :o

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ilphere] How... well, I'm not sure what to make of that.

[Ysabeau] Sister thought it was a Baleful Polymorph, she said.

[Ilphere] I am glad that she is safe, at least.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] And speaking of Sister Alma, that reminds me - I wanted to mention that I learned a new song.

[Ysabeau] Hearing it has a positive effect on the spells of casters.

[Ilphere] Oh...?

  • Ilphere looks interested.

[Ysabeau] So if you ever want to get a little more power for your troubles, just give me a call. ;)

[Ysabeau] (it increases the caster level of allies who hear it by 1)

[Ysabeau] The effect would last for as long as I sing it, and a little while after.

[Ysabeau] (5 rounds after, to be exact)

[Ilphere] Sounds very useful...! :)

[Ysabeau] It should be. :)

[Ysabeau] That's the one thing about my kind of magic, there's not much that does me any good on my own.

[Ysabeau] I've been thinking about that, lately.

[Ysabeau] Woe betide me if anyone who wishes me ill ever catches me alone.

[Ysabeau] Oh well.

[Ilphere] I'm sure you could handle yourself...! :)

[Ilphere] And besides, you are too clever to be caught out like that.

[Ysabeau] Maybe.

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] Are you still looking into the necklace that Kavreshar came from, or is that old hat?

[Ilphere] There are so many threads to pick up, honestly... it hasn't been my main focus but I am still interested...

[Ilphere] Why...?

[Ysabeau] Well, I think I have a lead on something...

[Ysabeau] I asked Merrow - my friend who was with the guards - to see if he could find the old Izaguirre file.

[Ilphere] Oh...?

[Ysabeau] He looked, but it was "Sealed"...

[Ysabeau] Unfortunately he decided to look at it anyway and has now lost his job. I didn't expect him to do that...

[Ysabeau] But before they caught him, he saw that the Izaguirre file contained three others.

[Ysabeau] One was labelled Tatiane Corriveau and the other, Althea Dark.

[Ysabeau] What I'd give to read them!

[Ysabeau] The one with Althea might have some clues not only about the necklace but also about Dessa's death.

[Ilphere] Althea?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ilphere] Is she the same one who became the Empress' consort...?

[Ysabeau] I think so.

[Ysabeau] The file might say more.

[Ysabeau] However, it's sealed.

[Ysabeau] I doubt I could look at it legally.

[Ilphere] What was the third file...?

[Ysabeau] Well, that's the thing, and may be one reason why it's sealed. It said de Quessenet.

[Ysabeau] So you see, even if I had the rights to ask, they probably wouldn't let me look at it because of that file.

[Ysabeau] They might think I was trying to find ways to discredit you or your family.

[Ysabeau] I really don't need to see that file, myself - but thought you might be intrigued.

  • Ilphere looks thoughtful...

[Ilphere] Perhaps...

[Ysabeau] Do you think you could request it? Would they let you?

[Ilphere] Well, they certainly can't fire me for asking...

[Ysabeau] It's up to you of course.

[Ysabeau] I'd be indebted if you did.

[Ilphere] I will see what I can do... I am curious what a file on Nouel Izaguirre could possibly have to say about my family...!

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] It does seem strange!

[Ysabeau] If they do let you borrow it, do you think there's any way I might be able to peek at the files on Althea and Tatiane?

[Ilphere] If it is a sealed file I doubt I will be permitted to take it very far...

[Ysabeau] I suppose.

  • Ysabeau sighs.

[Ysabeau] I just want to get to the bottom of Dessa's murder.

[Ilphere] What kinds of things are you looking for in there, in case it isn't possible to show it to you...?

[Ysabeau] Who she's related to, mostly.

[Ysabeau] Any mention of a foster-sister, her parentage, etc.

[Ysabeau] Any mention of a locket, though I doubt there will be...

  • Ilphere nods.

[Ysabeau] Confirmation about her being Althea Deverara, her relationship to the Deveraras.

[Ysabeau] And any link to Tatiane Corriveau.

[Ysabeau] In Tatiane's file, much the same information.

[Ysabeau] And if she's related to Althea in any way.

[Ilphere] I will do my best...!

[Ysabeau] Thanks. Ideally I'd like to see the Dark, Corriveau and Izaguirre information with my own eyes, in case there's something that clicks.

[Ysabeau] But the de Quessenet one is all yours. ;)

[Ilphere] I will let you know what happens... If I do manage to take it out you may have to meet with me on short notice...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Do you have some way of contacting me that wouldn't involve sending a messenger over to the Society, Castalia and here?

[Ysabeau] A Sending or something would be so convenient.

[Ilphere] (I don't think so; lemme check :V)

[Ilphere] Sadly, that is not my specialty...

[Ysabeau] Ah well, we'll have to do it the old fashioned way.

[Ysabeau] Those three places are the ones I'm generally to be found.

[Ysabeau] Have you made any headway with your work on the Serpent?

[Ilphere] I have some leads that I am following up with M. Orecalo...

[Ysabeau] I've been thinking about it a lot since we spoke with Nash...

[Ysabeau] The symbolism, Vianca and Reverend Mother Mayne's research, your visions, what Nash said. I have the very beginnings of a hypothesis, but I need to flesh it out before I could present it as anything worthy of a talk at the Society.

[Ysabeau] I think I'm going to visit Vianca later this week.

  • Ysabeau looks pensive.

[Ilphere] Well... I am still quite disappointed in Nash's attitude. I would take her words with a hefty portion of salt...

[Ysabeau] Oh, I don't know.

[Ysabeau] What she said doesn't really clash with what your visions are saying.

[Ysabeau] You both agreed that the Serpent needs to be "fixed" - balanced by a force of good.

[Ysabeau] I think that is indeed what's wrong with it. It's missing its good bits.

[Ilphere] She does not truly believe that the Serpent could be a force for balance.

[Ysabeau] She thinks it needs to be balanced by a tremendous force of good.

[Ysabeau] Do you remember Vianca's presentation to the Society not long after the necklace was stolen?

[Ysabeau] (session 5)

[Ysabeau] I think she was partly right but partly wrong, that's what I want to talk to her about.

[Ilphere] WHat do you think she was wrong about...?

[Ysabeau] Well, it's all purely speculative right now, and I might bore you with poetic allusions and stuff bards know about, but bear with me...

[Ysabeau] Circles are an archetypal symbol for continuity, eternity, cycles, unity.

[Ysabeau] Our earliest known representation of the Serpent shows it biting its tail, forming a circle.

[Ilphere] Yes...

[Ysabeau] There was another circle in the temple at Kholm, which we thought might be a representation of another Arch. It was mottled black and white.

[Ysabeau] The circle as cycle represents opposites like life/death, light/dark...

[Ysabeau] That passage you quoted from the Shadow Plane book alludes to that.

[Ilphere] (I don't recall it being 'mottled'...)

[Ysabeau] (From Julia: The 'arch' (if that is what it was) depicted in the temple in Kholm was also black and white, though not a solid half-black, half-white pattern: "This ring is picked out in black and white paint, with a sort of banded or mottled pattern, and its centre is pure black, studded with tiny shards of glass that catch the light and reflect it like stars.")

[Ysabeau] The Arch here in Diablotin is half-black, half-white...

[Ilphere] (ok)

[Ilphere] Go on...

[Ysabeau] It's a stretch but I'm sort of thinking that the Serpent is a unified oneness formed of opposites.

[Ilphere] That is plausible...

[Ysabeau] Whether the mottled circle at the temple in Kholm and the half-black/half-white Arch here represent a progression from a homogenous mix of light and dark aspects to a more polarized separation, I don't know.

[Ysabeau] That's one of the big gaps I need to fill in.

  • Ysabeau makes a face, trying to think of how to put her thoughts into words.

[Ysabeau] It's all so speculative.

[Ysabeau] Anyway, you know from your visions that something happened... whether it began at Kholm or here with the binding of entities in the Arch, I don't know.

[Ilphere] I think it happened around the time that DIablotin was founded.

[Ilphere] Well, something did.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ilphere] Perhaps there was more than one event that led to the Serpent's current state.

[Ysabeau] I think that's certainly possible.

[Ysabeau] Anyway, we know it's not right, now. It is missing something...

[Ysabeau] My hypothesis is that it's missing the "light" aspects of itself.

[Ysabeau] That doesn't disagree with either your visions or Nash's suppositions.

[Ysabeau] Or with the idea of angels and demons, for that matter.

[Ilphere] The aspect of mercy.

[Ysabeau] Yes, exactly.

[Ysabeau] Mercy, light, white, goodness, whatever you want to call it.

[Ysabeau] Now... You'll remember that Vianca said that she thought it was apparent that the being identified as 'the serpent' is to be identified with 'the soul-eater's servant', and the 'prison' with the 'stone of black hope.'

[Ysabeau] She actually got that from me... I was there when she first told Verity about the riddle she got from her Legend Lore on the necklace, and the one Reverend Mother Mayne got from her Divination.

[Ysabeau] I'm not so sure that the two riddles referred to the same event, anymore - that is, the release of Kavreshar from the necklace.

[Ysabeau] I think Reverend Mother Mayne's riddle may have to do with the aspect of mercy that is missing.

[Ysabeau] But I'm not sure.

[Ysabeau] All speculation, still.

[Ysabeau] At the same time, I do not disagree with the idea that the serpent is the servant, nor with the reverse argument that the servant is the serpent.

[Ilphere] Well, I don't think that the soul eater's servant is the Ophion.

[Ysabeau] You see, I'm sort of thinking that possibly in some way Kavreshar is, or is linked to the dark aspect of the Serpent.

[Ysabeau] Well we'll disagree on that, then.

[Ilphere] Kavreshar... may represent the aspect of retribution... Justice, unbalanced by mercy.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ilphere] It is the servant of the Ophion.

[Ilphere] Or was.

[Ysabeau] But if Ophion is Everything, then Kavreshar is just an aspect of it.

[Ysabeau] Everything, as symbolized by the circle.

[Ysabeau] Anyway...

[Ysabeau] I am probably crazy.

  • Ysabeau laughs.

[Ysabeau] Oh, there's something else I wanted to ask about.

[Ilphere] What's that..?

[Ysabeau] You and other Rademachers have visions... you also think the Rademacher bloodline is related to whatever happened way back.

[Ilphere] Yes.

  • Ilphere says firmly.

[Ysabeau] I was just curious whether these two things are related, and if they are, how you think they might be?

[Ysabeau] What happened to the bloodline?

[Ysabeau] What's special about it?

[Ilphere] Well, that is part of my current research...

[Ilphere] I would prefer not to discuss it until it is more developed. :)

[Ysabeau] After all I just told you? Oh, come on.

  • Ysabeau smiles charmingly.

[Ilphere] I really cannot... not yet...

  • Ysabeau looks chagrined.

[Ysabeau] The reason I'm asking is I think it might be tied into what I'm thinking, somehow...

[Ysabeau] Please?

  • Ysabeau seems to think it's very important.

[Ilphere] *If* I were to tell you, I would require that you not tell anyone else... and so it would not be very useful in supporting your work in any case...

[Ysabeau] Well, it would help me know I may be on the right track. I wouldn't need to tell anyone else. I'll leave that to you.

[Ilphere] I had a vision.

[Ysabeau] About...?

[Ilphere] Thaleus Rademacher spoke to me; he told me that we carry the blood of the serpent.

[Ilphere] The true blood, shed in its fall.

  • Ysabeau looks quite awed.

[Ysabeau] That's... that's quite remarkable.

[Ysabeau] I'll keep it to myself. Thank you, Ilphere.

  • Ilphere nods...

[Ilphere] What does that tell you, then...?

[Ysabeau] Well... only more speculation.

[Ysabeau] But it means the Serpent did lose something, doesn't it?

[Ysabeau] Something of itself.

  • Ysabeau will continue chatting with Ilphere about less momentous things until it's time for Ilphere to go.
  • Ysabeau does ask that you refrain from sharing her own speculations with others, though. She still feels pretty tentative on a lot of it!