Diablotin 2 session 57

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 2 session logs
Previous Session 57 Next

Summary

Session

Session date: December 12,2010
Diablotin date: 5th of Fifth-month

Prologue

[Diablotin_Narrator] It is just over a year since Emperor Marl was crowned, and just over a year since the Hall of Worthies was destroyed.

[Diablotin_Narrator] In that year, much work has been done to rebuild - indeed, to *improve* the magnificent structure, and now it is finally complete. Its grand re-opening is to take place on the 5th of Fifth-month, with nobles and other prominent citizens in attendance.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Also invited to attend are the members of the Antiquarian Society. Not only is this a day of historic importance, but also two of your members will be speaking at the event. M. Seth Argo will be giving a few brief remarks on the architectural heritage of the building, and Mlle. Ysabeau Chanuier will introduce the premiere of her latest composition.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The day is a fine one for the occasion, clear and sunny with a hint of summer in the air.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The bridges of the city are crowded with carriages and pedestrians as the invited guests make their way onto the island for the celebrations, while many without invitations cross simply to see the exterior of the building, and enjoy the fair weather.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The Hall of Worthies was always an impressive edifice, with its great dome, elegant columns and grand galleries, but, as with many buildings in Diablotin, it had grown grimy with the centuries.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The restoration was also an opportunity to clean the structure, and redesign certain elements that had proven problematic. As a result, its stone walls seem to glow, and its dome sparkles in the sunlight.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The Assembly Hall's seats are gradually filling with people as you arrive. The changes within are evident to anyone who has been there before. Where once the hall was divided into six sections separated by stairways, now it has seven.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Although this is not a formal meeting of the Great Council, nevertheless nobles tend to take seats in their usual sections, out of habit.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The section for House Rat is underfilled, however, as there are comparatively few titled members of that House, so extra guests are filling in those seats. Several rows are occupied by the musicians who will be performing later.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The central section is of course reserved for members of the inner council, and the Imperial throne.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Above you, the reconstructed dome lets in a narrow ray of sunlight, which illuminates the centre of the hall in as dramatic a fashion as before.

[Diablotin_Narrator] A flourish of trumpets announces the Inner Council as they move to take their seats, and another heralds the Emperor and Empress as they enter the hall arm in arm.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Finally, once everyone is in position, the bells ring to signal that the ceremony is about to begin.


Matthieu Arguelles' introduction

  • Master_of_Ceremonies , Matthieu Arguelles, rises to speak first. A tall, portly man, dressed in a perfectly-tailored but perhaps ill-considered pale mauve suit, he takes the speaker's place at the centre of the hall.

[Master_of_Ceremonies] My lords and ladies, esteemed members of the church, and honoured guests, it is my privilege to welcome you today to this once-more magnificent edifice, the Hall of Worthies.

[Diablotin_Narrator] There is a surge of applause at that.

  • Master_of_Ceremonies proceeds to outline briefly the order of the program for the day. The Patriarch will perform a blessing, and then the Lady Chancellor will have a few words, followed by M. Seth Argo's remarks on the architectural significance of the Hall. Mlle. Ysabeau Chanuier will introduce her composition, which will then be performed, and finally the Emperor will speak. Then light refreshments will be provided and guests will be free to mingle and admire the building.


Patriarch Morlan's blessing

  • Patriarch Morlan rises from his seat. Beneath the ornate hat and robe, he is an unprepossessing figure, short and grey-haired, but when he speaks, his voice carries well in the grand hall.

[Patriarch] Almighty Gods, we give thanks and praise for the blessings you have bestowed upon us, and upon this our most favoured Empire of Aveyrone.

[Patriarch] As the worthies of this Empire gather in this grand hall, grant them your wisdom and courage to counsel our beloved Emperor with honesty and justice, and let them never be swayed by lust for power, sycophancy, complacency, or any other unworthy intent.

[Patriarch] Let them instead keep foremost in their minds the knowledge that they are servants here, servants to the Empire and to its citizens, and let them accordingly always strive to increase the safety, unity, and tranquility of the realm on behalf of those whom they represent.

[Patriarch] Blessings of the Seven be upon this place, and upon all gathered within and without it.

  • Patriarch resumes his seat.


Chancellor Theonee Deverara's speech

  • Chancellor , Theonée Deverara, next rises to speak. Her slight figure seems small in the centre of the vast hall.

[Chancellor] It is a wonder to see this room restored, when most of us last saw it under such terrible circumstances. Let us take a moment to remember those who lost their lives just over a year ago in this very place.

  • Chancellor resumes speaking after a minute of reverent silence.

[Chancellor] While this is a time for rememberance, it is also an occasion for celebration. The Hall of Worthies is the site where the Empire is given voice, and that voice had fallen silent. After today, it will be heard once more.

[Chancellor] With the installation of the new teleportation circles, the Empire will be knit more closely than ever, united as it has never been before.

[Chancellor] No longer shall the far reaches of the realm be subsumed under the will of the centre, for lack of ability to make their wishes known. All parts of this great Empire, including its most distant territories and its most humble members, will be heard in this new Hall.

[Chancellor] The tasks that lie before us are difficult, but they are not insurmountable. Together, in this Hall and everywhere we work, we will be building a better Empire.

[Sanadhil] . o O (Interesting analogy..)

[Alma] .oO( :D )

  • Chancellor takes her seat to the sounds of applause.
  • Alma applauds eagerly.


Seth's speech about architecture

[Diablotin_Narrator] Seth, it's your turn to speak now.

  • Seth rises to speak, reading his prepared remarks formally and with great dignity.

[Seth] http://wiki.rocksfall.org/rocksfallwiki/Seth_Argo%27s_speech_at_the_Hall_of_Worthies

  • Seth uses a set of formal oratorical gestures where appropriate.

[Alma] :o

[Sanadhil] hmm


Ysabeau's music

[Diablotin_Narrator] Ysabeau, you are now invited to introduce your composition.

  • Ysabeau is dressed beautifully for the occasion, but not extravagantly, wearing a gown of a deep burgundy and only a couple pearls at her ears and throat as her adornments. She is used to performing in front of people and is good at hiding whatever nerves she may feel in front of this huge and important crowd.
  • Ysabeau steps up to the podium and rests her hands, folded, on its top.

[Ysabeau] Your Imperial Majesties, princes and princesses of the Empire, gathered worthies of the realm, may I humbly present to you a symphony commissioned by His Imperial Majesty, Marl Kizer, to celebrate this day.

[Ysabeau] Now, I shall presume to offer a few words of explanation for the music you are about to hear. Some of you may be aware that I am a member of the Imperial Antiquarian Society, and have been privileged to go on a few expeditions with them, the most recent of which shed new and interesting light on our most ancient history.

[Ysabeau] Because music AND history are my passions, I took my inspiration for His Majesty's symphony from what we learned on that expedition: one small piece of the story of our collective past... before the gods granted that we might create an Empire spanning from The Ocean of Sorrow to the Cosovode lands to our east, and from the warm southern sea to the frigid mountains of the north.

[Ysabeau] Let the music transport you back to a past when we were separate peoples, the tribes of Wolf, Owl, Cat, Bear, Lizard, Ox and Rat.

[Ysabeau] Let it speak to you of our past, the small day-to-day happinesses of love, family, hard work that we still find comfort in today, and the great sorrows, the huge challenges our most ancient ancestors faced as we migrated here to this Imperial Island, where we found an Arch, where we became one, where we became the Aveyrone Empire.

[Ysabeau] That same enterprising spirit that led our ancestors to this place has survived through all the centuries since. Today let us honour those who preceded us, and remind ourselves to carry forward this spirit into all our future endeavours. May I now present to you "The Flight of the Tribes."

  • Ysabeau curtseys to the Emperor and Empress and other gathered nobles before joining the orchestra... she will seat herself behind her harp.

[Ysabeau] The music starts out softly, pastoral-sounding, evoking an idyllic scene of contented people going about their daily lives. One by one, seven melodies are introduced and intermingle with one another. They twine about each other, one dominating the others for a time and then another.

[Ysabeau] The second movement draws upon all this and slowly introduces some ominous undertones. These build and build until the music crashes all about you, speaking of a terrible calamity. Deep bass tones seem to actually roar like a dragon amidst all the chaos.

[Ysabeau] The third movement is sad and slow. It evokes a profound weariness and sense of loss. The seven melodies from the first movement softly rise from the background music. Their tempo has been slowed, they sound more solemn, but their essential nature is still there.

[Ysabeau] This movement turns gradually into a march as the seven tribes begin their long travels over the land. Near its end, a thin, hopeful-sounding thread of music weaves itself in, echoing the original pastoral sounds.

[Ysabeau] The fourth movement is the longest and most varied movement. It builds upon the theme of renewed vigour and hope, and the seven melodies are woven into one another to form one cohesive fabric of sound. An eighth, alien tune weaves its way in, and fights for supremacy with the mingled seven melodies.

[Ysabeau] Some aspects of the calamitous music from the second movement are reintroduced but with a more marshal sound, painting a picture of a war. This movement ends with a triumphal crescendo as the Empire is born.

[Ysabeau] (done!)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (you can make a perform check, and I'll make one as well for the rest of the orchestra :)

[Ysabeau] (I will destiny reroll)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (ok if you wish)

[Ysabeau] (Holy shit the dice hate me today)

[Ysabeau] (27)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (it's still a very good performance!)

[Diablotin_Narrator] The crowd applauds enthusiastically.


Emperor Marl's speech

  • Emperor Marl steps forward once the applause has died down.

[Emperor] Thank you, Mlle. Chanuier, for that remarkable and moving music.

[Emperor] I have only a few words to say, as I have no wish to try your worthy patiences.

[Emperor] First, my heartfelt thanks to all of you for attending today. I know this past year has been a difficult one for many. Our Empire has faced many hardships. But as this Hall has risen from its ashes to become even greater than its former glory, we too shall overcome our troubles through struggle and sacrifice and toil.

[Emperor] The rebuilding of the Place d'Iena's markets and the strengthening of the Empire's food supply must be our priorities now. Accordingly, taxes on all farmers and food merchants will be temporarily lowered in order to encourage them to rebuild and indeed expand their efforts.

[Emperor] Lands in the east of the Empire, fertile but under-used, will be settled and cleared to increase our production capacity, and our new system of teleportation circles will enable more efficient transfer of goods and people from one end of the Empire to the other.

[Emperor] My greatest wish is to see my people strong, healthy, and content, and the best way to accomplish this goal is to make this Empire a strong and prosperous nation as well - a safe and comfortable place for my own son or daughter to grow.

  • Emperor says with a smile to Yanina, who smiles back contentedly.

[Sanadhil] ...

[Emperor] I thank you once again for your support, and look forward to seeing many of you here again in the near future, as we make the plans and decisions that will bring our Empire into a new age. Thank you.

  • Sanadhil wonders how the Cozovode will take to haveing more human settlers on their borders


The mingling begins

[Diablotin_Narrator] After the thunderous applause dies down, the musicians resume playing some background recessional-type music, and people are free to mingle about.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Light refreshments are available in the gallery that rings the hall - drinks and finger-foods, nothing too heavy or substantial, but all of excellent quality of course.

[Diablotin_Narrator] (I'm going to do short scenes with everyone - max 15 minutes. Time permitting, two for everyone. You can of course also talk amongst yourselves or to your relevant SPCs in another channel if you like, when you're not busy.)

  • Ysabeau , being an artist, is analyzing the performance and thinking about what went wrong and how to fix it in future performances, etc.
  • Sanadhil drifts over to the snacks, looking around for people he knows
  • Ysabeau would chat politely with her fellow musicians and the conductor, before going over to the refreshment stands etc.
  • Guillame also heads to the ever-reliable snack table
  • Guillame takes something that looks like its probably made of pigs, and takes a bite
  • Guillame suddenly looks guilty, and looks at his snack
  • Guillame finishes it anyway.
  • Ilphere is nibbling a danish type pastry.

[Ilphere] Hello M. Rionet! :)

[Guillame] Hello, your Highness

[Ilphere] Did you enjoy Ysabeau's composition...?

[Guillame] It was very evocative, yes!

[Ilphere] She is so very creative... :)

[Ilphere] So... how have you been keeping...?

[Guillame] I've been well, despite various forms of drama!

[Ilphere] Oh.. nothing *too* unpleasant I hope...!

[Guillame] Oh no, just the normal - deceit, arrest, fears for my life...

[Guillame] We've seen worse

  • Guillame winks

[Ilphere] Oh dear...! :o

[Ilphere] So, ah.. how is your research progressing, then...?

[Guillame] Slowly, as ever!

[Ilphere] I was wondering...

[Guillame] I fear sometimes that somebody may notice and take away my membership!

[Ilphere] Has M. Orecalo perhaps broached the subject of our upcoming return to the Shadow Plane with you?

[Guillame] I... don't recall so...

[Guillame] No?

[Ilphere] Well...!

[Ilphere] Mlle. l'Averti has arranged for us to meet with her Shadar-kai contact there.

[Ilphere] We hope to speak to him about the cursed city, and Imraen, and so on...

[Ilphere] Your name came up as one who might be interested in joining us...

  • Ilphere smiles brightly.

[Guillame] It seems fascinating - as long as it's not too close to the wedding!

  • Dominik strolls over to the refreshment, seeking another drink

[Ilphere] Yours, I presume...? :)

[Ilphere] I don't think a date has been fixed for the trip yet.

  • Ilphere lowers her voice a bit.

[Dominik] greetings cousin, Guillame.

[Guillame] Mine, yes.

  • Dominik drinks deep

[Guillame] M. Rademacher! How are you enjoying the festivities?

[Ilphere] AHem...

[Dominik] The wine is always good here. Our Emperor does not spare that expense.

[Dominik] My appologies cousine, was I interupting?

[Ilphere] Well, I should tell the both of you, anyway.. Mlle. l'Averti is interested in the possibility of returning to Imraen's dream, to attempt to communicate with her in a more controlled fashion...

  • Ilphere says quietly.
  • Sanadhil drifts back over to the snack tale after chating with Seth

[Dominik] I hope there is a way to retain more of ourselves if this is repeated.

  • Dominik says quietly as well

[Ilphere] [q] I have been... practicing.

[Guillame] I... to what end?

  • Sanadhil eyes the quietly speaking cluster and shoots Ilphere a curious look

[Dominik] Knowledge, I would assume Guillame.

[Ilphere] To be able to manipulate the dreamscape...

  • Ilphere motions for Sanadhil to come over.

[Guillame] I... meant the expedition, but that certainly is interesting

  • Sanadhil approaches

[Ilphere] I am confident that I have become adept enough to retain awareness within a dream....

[Sanadhil] hmm?

[Ilphere] We were speaking of Imraen.

  • Ilphere says quietly.
  • Sanadhil nods, smiling in greeting to the others

[Dominik] Just a suggestion, you could practice helping others keeping aware as well... I would volunteer, since if it would work on me, it would work on anyone.

[Sanadhil] that would be wise

[Ilphere] (asking Julie if it's something I need to teach or whether you can learn it on your own, etc)

[Ilphere] I would certainly be willing to attempt to instruct whoever is interested in the techniques which I have used...

[Sanadhil] I believe it might be possible to force someone's mind to awake within a dream magically, but that would require the caster to be capable of that level of....lucid? dreaming as well.

  • Sanadhil nods to her

[Sanadhil] I would be most interested.

[Dominik] set up an convenient time to try then.

[Guillame] It sounds fascinating - I'd love to learn, whether we go back or not.

  • Ilphere nods.

[Ilphere] Very well, then...

[Ilphere] What do you think about (*time*)?

[Ilphere] I could guide you through some of the exercises and then you could attempt them in your own dreams...

[Dominik] I'll remember to be sober... or maybe a little wine would help the process.

[Sanadhil] I have a tutorial just afterwards, so i may have to depart early.

  • Ilphere nods.
  • Seth comes over, but is done snacking.

[Seth] Greetings.

  • Ilphere nods politely.

[Guillame] M. Argo

[Ilphere] M. Argo...

  • Guillame nods

[Seth] I trust all found my disquisition to be satisfactory?

  • Sanadhil nods to him as well.

[Ilphere] Quite...

[Dominik] Very stiring, yes.

[Sanadhil] Hmm, I should congratulate Mlle. Chanuier as well

[Seth] It is a remarkable construction, all the moreso given that it was rebuilt so rapidly.

  • Sanadhil looks around for her

[Dominik] I hear magic can do wonderful things

[Sanadhil] excuse me...

  • Sanadhil nods and slips off to find ys
  • Dominik finds a full glass of wine and appropriates it
  • Ilphere picks up a little mince pie.
  • Guillame excuses himself to mingle

[Dominik] Did you ever find out why they changed the foundation from seven to six?

  • Ysabeau is mingling in the crowd, and chatting with various and sundry folk. It's easy to lose sight of her because she is so damn short.

[Seth] No, although one can certainly imagine plausible scenarios. Sadly the textual evidence from the relevant period is much too scanty for such a determination.

[Dominik] Or maybe the correct question is why they originally built seven?

[Seth] Yes. One can imagine other scenarios - for instance, perhaps the seventh section was intended for priests - but my presumption is that given the symmetrical design, these were conceptualized as seven distinct and equal parts, i.e., Houses.

[Seth] Which suggests that, at least in early Imperial history, the Rat continued to have some role in the city.

[Dominik] I wonder what changed?

[Dominik] Back then I mean.

[Seth] It's a fair question.

[Seth] I admit, not being a political or social historian, that it lies outside my direct area of expertise.

[Dominik] well not being an historian at all, its well out of mine.

  • Dominik finishes his drink

[Seth] I'm sure that just due to your long exposure to our scholarship at Society meetings that you have acquired some proficiency in the subject, M. Rademacher.

[Dominik] Don't be spreading those rumors M Argo. Someone might think I have a head on my shoulders.

[Seth] I shall endeavour to ensure that you remain thought of as a blithering idiot, in that case.

[Dominik] That will not do you well either, for some might assume you mean to insult me and are looking to pick a fight.

[Dominik] While it may do you good for your reputation as being brave, I would not like things between us to go that way.

[Seth] Well, at the very least, I will not correct others should they think you to be cretinous.

[Dominik] That is well. Let them make what assumptions they will without external infulences from those who may know different.

[Seth] Very well.

[Seth] How are things with you, then? I have not spoken to you in some time.

[Dominik] I will not drag you down into the hollow dark depths that is my existance right now, M Argo, as it is your day to shine. Let things rest at that.

  • Dominik finishes his drink and slips away to find another

Sanadhil and Seth

  • Sanadhil picks up an innocuous looking pasty and wanders over to M. Argo.
  • Seth will politely pick up something so as not to be seen as disdaining the food.

[Sanadhil] Good afternoon - congratulations on your speech.

[Seth] Ah, thank you, M. Orecalo. I confess, not being accustomed much to public speaking, I had some difficulty in finding the correct tone for such a plebeian audience.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] They seemed interested enough.

  • Guillame takes something that looks like its probably made of pigs, and takes a bite

[Sanadhil] I'm curious about the original configuration of tha hall - what did yo estomate for the date of that construction?

[Seth] One would hope so, given the importance of the findings.

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Guillame suddenly looks guilty, and looks at his snack

[Seth] My estimate is that it was constructed around the year 350.

  • Guillame finishes it anyway.

[Sanadhil] and remodeled when?

[Seth] It has been remodeled several times over the centuries.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] but when was it changed to only having six sections?

[Seth] That is difficult to say, since the only surviving evidence of its seven sections is from the original foundation.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] It would have been interesting to see if we could pin down some kinf od date range for the exclusion of House Rat - assuming that is who the original seventh division was meant to include

[Seth] Yes, it would be. That evidence, if it exists, would have to be textual rather than architectural.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] What was the date for the frieze at the greysmoke temple?

[Seth] That was much much later than this.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Hmm

[Seth] The Greysmoke Temple was not built until 1686

[Sanadhil] relatively recently, then.

[Sanadhil] (I can't remember what year we are ;p)

[Seth] (2248)

[Seth] By elven standards, I suppose so.

[Sanadhil] indeed...

[Sanadhil] I wonder if the new arrangements, and your discovery, will help them gain any more respect

[Seth] One would hope so.

[Seth] I do admit to some concern at how my speech would be received. Particularly because there is an interpretation of it that might be thought seditious, though that be not my intent.

[Sanadhil] oh?

[Seth] Inasmuch as I did make reference to the Arch's role in the selection of emperors, and did not particularly disavow it.

[Sanadhil] ahhh

[Sanadhil] I suppose there are some who might take offene, though it seems a legitimate clam, all things considered

[Seth] Well, yes. Given that I was invited to give the speech by the Emperor's staff, I felt it would set a poor example to advocate treason.

  • Seth remarks dryly ... and is joking, right? right?
  • Sanadhil smiles slyly.

[Sanadhil] Indeed.

[Seth] Have any additional plans been made regarding our visit with the scholar you had mentioned?

[Sanadhil] I hope for things to be finalized soon.

[Sanadhil] If Mlle is here, I may speak with her again this afternoon.

[Seth] Good, good.

[Sanadhil] I will certainly keep you appraised.

[Sanadhil] Good afternoon.

  • Sanadhil nods to Seth and will slip over to find one of the other people he was hoping to talk to.

Dominik and Zivia

[Diablotin_Narrator] Dom, your family are all (well, except for your father) in attendance.

[Dominik] (as was expected)

  • Dominik is making a show of family solidarity despite his own desire not to be present

[Zivia] Dom, would you fetch me a drink?

  • Dominik give Zivia a look

[Dominik] am I your servant now?

[Zivia] Nooo, but I assumed you'd be getting one for yourself as soon as possible.

[Dominik] I'm only doing this because I was already headed that way.

  • Zivia smiles.
  • Dominik finds two glasses of wine and returns

[Zivia] Why thank you.

  • Zivia accepts one.

[Zivia] Are you acquainted with that gentleman?

[Dominik] Which one?

  • Dominik glances towards where Zivia is pointing

[Zivia] The one who's talking with Ilphere. His name's Rionet, I believe.

[Dominik] Guillame? Oh yes, I know him.

[Zivia] What's he like?

[Dominik] He's travelled with us on several of our Society outings.

[Dominik] Reliable fellow. Good enough in a fight. Has some skills.

[Dominik] Interesting that you bring him up, since he was asking about you.

[Zivia] ... He was? My, why was that?

  • Zivia says innocently.

[Dominik] He is a friend of your recent conquest and was wondering about your nature.

  • Zivia arches an eyebrow.

[Zivia] "Conquest," you make it sound so sordid.

[Dominik] I fight battles with arms... you, with other tools... what is wrong with the comparison?

  • Zivia chuckles.

[Zivia] M. Olivier is a charming young gentleman.

[Dominik] So you do intend to marry him?

[Zivia] He hasn't asked me yet.

[Dominik] That isn't an answer to the question, now is it.

[Zivia] He is quite... attached to M. Rionet, so far as I can tell.

[Dominik] attached? They seemed good friends, although I have not seen much of thier interactions.

[Zivia] Well, I don't know the extent of their involvement.

  • Zivia says with a shrug.

[Dominik] I find it hard to believe you would become so tethered, my sister.

[Zivia] Oh, I doubt there would be much tethering involved.

[Dominik] Ah, what was I thinking. You are the moral center of house Wolf after all.

  • Zivia smiles.

[Zivia] I'm glad I have your blessing.

  • Zivia notices her drink is empty.

[Dominik] Far be it from me to judge you.

[Zivia] Don't worry, I'll get my own this time.

  • Dominik downs what is left in his.
  • Zivia strolls away.


Alma and Danyel

  • Alma enlists Danyel's aid to discretely cast True Seeing on herself
  • Danyel will assist, of course.

[Diablotin_Narrator] You scan the room...

  • Alma uses her opera glasses :3

[Diablotin_Narrator] No dragons within 120 feet - that would be fairly obvious.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Certainly plenty of people who have used a bit of magic to make themselves look a little younger, thinner, etc!

  • Alma looks for the people on Ysabeau's list, steeling herself.

[Alma] .oO( They won't be here, if they are... surely they would expect someone to think to cast True Seeing at such an event. )

[Diablotin_Narrator] You didn't see Temair Metivier in the council area, so perhaps he is not in attendance.

  • Alma looks among the musicians for Rouillard

[Diablotin_Narrator] You see her - blonde, would be pretty were it not for the wings and horns.

  • Alma gasps quietly.
  • Alma scans on so as not to be conspicuous.

[Diablotin_Narrator] You can also see Earric of course.

[Alma] (He has no wings though, right?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] No wings on him - but subtle horns, yes, and a glint of red about the eyes.

[Diablotin_Narrator] You can also see, perhaps not too surprisingly, a few ghosts in the Hall.

[Alma] .oO( I wonder what they're about... )

  • Alma tries to find the Chief Sorceror's retinue... the ghosts could wait... unless of course one looks familiar.

[Alma] (Is Metivier reclusive? Nobility roll 23)

[Alma] (Also I would confirm that Cornelia, Butler and Theonee look normal.)

[Diablotin_Narrator] His position is Lord Admiral, so it makes sense that he's often away from court doing boaty things.

[Diablotin_Narrator] And yes, Cornelia, Butler, and Theonee all look as they normally do.

[Alma] (only a 16 on nobility to see if I recognise any ghosts)

[Diablotin_Narrator] No one you recognize, no.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Anyone else in particular you wanted to look at?

[Alma] (I was going to look for the Chief Sorceror's retinue, if I haven't already.)

  • Alma is not particularly sure what retinue Diamond might be in, if she's here at all.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Oh right... You don't see him with them, so either he's not there, or he's gone off somewhere.

  • Alma will check out the clergy as well, just to make sure RF Theron isn't a demon :P
  • Alma assumes Diamond will not be with RM Esmena :P

[Diablotin_Narrator] (that would be ... particularly foolish ;)

[Diablotin_Narrator] The upper clergy all look fine.

[Alma] Dear, do you think we should split up?

[Diablotin_Narrator] (that's probably about the duration of your spell anyway)

[Alma] If you think you could... hide your surprise, I could give you fifteen minutes to search.

[Danyel] Of course, if you want me to, I will.

[Alma] It's a good opportunity to cover as many "Worthies" as we can.

  • Danyel nods.
  • Alma gives him a chaste kiss.
  • Danyel will accept the spell and wander off to scout around, then.
  • Alma also mingles as quickly as possible.

Alma, Ysabeau and Sanadhil

  • Alma will seek out Ysabeau before she casts True Seeing again
  • Ysabeau is chatting with some noble dude who seems to be a little misty-eyed when he looks at her.

[Ysabeau] (I'm hot and famous, I must have some people who want in my pants)

  • Alma approaches politely, nodding to the nobleman.

[Alma] Ysabeau, a lovely performance :)

  • Ysabeau smiles for Alma.

[Ysabeau] Thank you, Sister.

  • Ysabeau turns back to the nobleman.

[Ysabeau] If you'll excuse me, please?

  • Ysabeau curtseys to him, and turns her attention fully to you, linking her arm in yours and strolling away from the man.
  • Alma walks with Ysabeau, having had exactly the same idea.

[Ysabeau] Thank you. I was running out of things to say to him.

[Alma] No problem at all :)

[Alma] It really was a beautiful performance. It fit the tone of the evening so perfectly.

[Alma] This whole evening has just been wonderful and... optimistic, all things considered.

[Ysabeau] I'm pleased that it seemed to fit the occasion so perfectly.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I hope it is not just faint words.

[Alma] Well, the Emperor is ... a politician, but the things he spoke of would benefit the empire, so they're something even a politician would want.

[Alma] I've been looking about as well...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] He is working hard to be good at what he does.

[Alma] It's good that we picked the right man :)

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Alma] I took the opportunity to cast True Seeing, with all these notables about.

[Ysabeau] Oh yes? Were they all here?

  • Alma speaks quietly

[Alma] Kavreshar isn't here. Nor are Metivier, Moncaine or Levernois...

  • Ysabeau is very interested, but keeps her voice low as well.

[Alma] At least, I haven't seen them... have you?

[Ysabeau] I wouldn't know them if I did. You think I spend a lot of time in these lofty circles?

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Alma] Yes, I wouldn't necessarily recognise them myself, I imagine.

[Alma] I thought you might recognise Rouillard... but I was able to spot her myself.

[Ysabeau] Oh, yes, her I could have pointed out.

[Ysabeau] Well?

  • Sanadhil spies Ysabeau soeaking to Alma after he leaves Yanina, and waves to the pair
  • Ysabeau waves back.

[Ysabeau] Better hurry, M. Orecalo's coming over.

  • Alma smiles and waves as well.

[Alma] Wings and horns...

[Ysabeau] Who else?

[Alma] Earric's missing the wings though, oddly.

[Ysabeau] Hmm, interesting.

[Sanadhil] Good afternoon, ladies...

  • Sanadhil smiles as he approaches

[Alma] Good afternoon, M. Orecalo.

[Ysabeau] Good afternoon, M. Orecalo.

[Alma] No one else yet. I've sent Danyel about to look.

[Sanadhil] I hope I'm not intruding on anything?

[Ysabeau] I hope he finds what he seeks.

[Ysabeau] ;)

[Ysabeau] No, not at all, M. Orecalo.

  • Sanadhil sms

[Sanadhil] (27)

[Ysabeau] (22)

[Sanadhil] I just wanted to take the opportunity to compliment you on your composoition, Mlle.

  • Sanadhil says to Ysabeau.

[Ysabeau] Oh, thank you, M. Orecalo. :)

[Ysabeau] I'm glad it has been well -received.

[Alma] It was quite lovely.

[Sanadhil] Very evocative yes, you managed the themes extremely well

[Alma] I was telling her that it fit the theme of the night perfectly.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I'm sure it will be well remembered

[Ysabeau] And hopefully well-played, often. ;)

[Ysabeau] Could you guess which melody was which House?

[Sanadhil] Perhaps on a second hearing.

[Sanadhil] too much to absorb the first time around, I think.

[Ysabeau] Ah well.

[Alma] Yes, I wasn't able to place them all either. I didn't realise at first there even would be so many discrete... tones to look out for?

[Sanadhil] themes, perhaps?

[Sanadhil] by the time I thought to consider it, in the final movement, they were already beginning to integrate

[Alma] Yes, precisely!

[Ysabeau] Well then, you'll *have* to listen to it again to figure it out. That's good.

[Ysabeau] Hopefully everyone else will want to, as well. ;)

[Ysabeau] Not today, but at parties and events to come.

[Sanadhil] I hope to have the opportunity. I'm sure you will be much in demand.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Alma] I'm certain if you scheduled an extended run you would get repeat attendees...

[Alma] Works are always best appreciated when they reveal more each time you are exposed to them...

[Ysabeau] Oh dear, I'm afraid I can't afford the musicians to have an extended run.

[Alma] That is why the opera houses charge admission :)

[Sanadhil] indeed

[Sanadhil] I'm sure it would be easy to arrange after today

[Ysabeau] Well, the music is His Majesty's.

[Alma] Oh yes, that is true, he did commission it.

[Sanadhil] And I'm sure he would like to see it properly appreciated

[Alma] Indeed.

[Sanadhil] but yes, the arramgements may not be yours to make

[Ysabeau] It is his to do with as he wishes. But perhaps we could negociate.

  • Ysabeau nods.
  • Sanadhil nods

[Ysabeau] Should he wish to have performances for the general public.

[Ysabeau] I'll play things by ear.

[Ysabeau] No pun intended.

[Alma] :)

  • Sanadhil smiles as well

[Alma] [q] I was telling Ysabeau earlier that I was taking a look at assembled personages with True Seeing.

[Sanadhil] oh?

[Alma] No one present seems to be our missing wyrm.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] that's not surprising

  • Sanadhil drops his voice as well

[Alma] There are a few cosmetic changes at play, and a few ghosts...

[Sanadhil] I stand by my suspicion that he may be hiding among the levellers.

[Alma] Did you know that Earric is missing his wings?

[Sanadhil] Hmm. I was about to ask.

[Ysabeau] Has he spoken of it before?

[Sanadhil] he had claimed as much to me, but I had no way to confirm what he...showed me.

[Ysabeau] Ah.

[Alma] The horns were there, but not the wings.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Alma] What was his explanation for that?

[Ysabeau] Did he say how he lost them?

  • Ysabeau looks at Alma and smiles; great minds think alike.

[Sanadhil] he told me that his wife removed them, and that it is part of how she retains control over him, and keeps him here.

[Ysabeau] What a loving wife.

[Alma] Interesting.

[Sanadhil] mmm.

[Sanadhil] Is there anyone else of note among the assembled?

  • Sanadhil glances briefly around the room

[Alma] A succubus among the musicians... and Cornelia, Butler and Theonée are all as they appear.

[Sanadhil] I suspect that M. Boyne can't be the only one here.

[Sanadhil] ...why would they not be?

[Alma] They are all... special cases.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] do you know the musician?

  • Sanadhil asks Ysabeau
  • Alma describes her human form for Ysabeau's benefit.

[Ysabeau] Only in passing.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] do you know her name?

[Ysabeau] I am only beginning to travel in the lofty circles she has enjoyed for some time, apparently.

[Ysabeau] Indeed: Maryse Rouillard.

  • Sanadhil makes a mental note

[Sanadhil] well, it may be useful.

[Sanadhil] A pity we don't know of others...

[Ysabeau] In what way?

[Sanadhil] It would be interesting to have the opportunity to....cross reference some of the material I have learned.

  • Alma quirks a brow.

[Alma] It might be unwise to approach "Ms. Rouillard" directly.

  • Ysabeau keeps her features schooled.

[Sanadhil] oh, of course.

[Sanadhil] That was not my intent.

[Sanadhil] However I believe that the Warlord had expressed some interest....

  • Sanadhil eyes Ysabeau

[Alma] Interest in...?

[Sanadhil] interrogation?

  • Alma nods.

[Sanadhil] In any case, I have quite enough on my plate at the moment, with ongoing projects.

[Alma] .oO( I bet you do. )

[Ysabeau] And I need to fill a plate.

[Ysabeau] Pre-performance nerves, you know. I've hardly eaten at all, today.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] good afternoon, mlle, and congratulations again

  • Sanadhil says in a more normal tone.

[Ysabeau] Thank you, M. Orecalo.

[Ysabeau] We'll have to talk later; I haven't seen much of you in a while, buried as I have been in composing.

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] I look forward to it.

[Alma] Good afternoon, M. Orecalo :)

[Sanadhil] you as well, Countess.

  • Alma waits until he's stepped away

[Alma] Ysabeau?

[Ysabeau] Yes, Sister?

[Alma] I was wondering if you wanted to take some time to look with True Seeing. I understand it you'd like to keep the evening for revelling in your success, but I thought perhaps you might mingle in different circles. :)

[Alma] It lasts for about a quarter hour...

[Ysabeau] Oh, you can cast it on me?

  • Ysabeau seems excited and interested by the prospect.

[Alma] Yes, I can. Danyel's is likely just ending now.

[Ysabeau] Ah! Clever.

[Ysabeau] Well, if you truly think that I might spot something you have not, I'd be honoured, of course.

[Ysabeau] But I understand that it is quite a costly spell...

[Alma] You'll want to prepare yourself before you look about though, in case you find something disturbing... or bump into Rouillard.

[Ysabeau] Prepare myself how, exactly?

[Alma] Well, so as not to seem rattled.

[Alma] I expect Rouillard is not used to people being disturbed by her presence :)

[Ysabeau] I am, sadly, fairly practiced at dissembling.

[Alma] It is costly, but this is an excellent opportunity, and while some things can be seen from afar... such as wings, others might be more subtle.

[Ysabeau] Thank you for the warning; I believe I'm ready when you are.

  • Alma reaches into her pockets briefly.
  • Alma leads Ysabeau off to the side a bit and offers her the ointment to apply.

[Alma] Just a bit about the eyes.

  • Alma will subtly cast True Seeing on Ysabeau once some of the ointment has been applied.

[Alma] There... go mingle, you've got about fifteen minutes :)

[Ysabeau] Right, then!

  • Ysabeau goes and mingles; she's actually quite good at it.
  • Ysabeau will keep her eyes peeled for anything out of the ordinary.

Sanadhil and Yanina

  • Yanina gives you a little wave, San, as you peruse the room.
  • Sanadhil waves in return, deciding that Mlle Chanuier can wait for now

[Yanina] M. Orecalo, how lovely to see you again :)

  • Sanadhil will make his way over to her and give her a polite little bow

[Sanadhil] You as well, Your Highness.

[Sanadhil] You look lovely, as always.

[Yanina] Thank you :)

  • Yanina looks perhaps a little.. rounder than usual.

[Sanadhil] Are you well?

[Yanina] Quite well, thank you.

  • Yanina says with a smile.
  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I can only assume your elevation is as agreeable as it is suitable to you.

[Yanina] It's been quite something.

[Yanina] Very busy, of course.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Yanina] Marl wasn't merely speaking rhetorically in his speech - there will be a little prince or princess before the year's out.

[Sanadhil] oh, well, congratulations :)

  • Sanadhil wonders whose it is :V

[Yanina] Thank you.

[Yanina] And what have you been busy with?

[Sanadhil] Much the same as ever.... research, work at the castalia...

  • Yanina nods.

[Sanadhil] There was an expedition early in the year - I suppose you might have heard some of it from princess Ilphere...

[Yanina] Yes, I certainly did. It sounds all very interesting.

[Sanadhil] I have been studying some with Mlle Lozad Boyne as well

[Yanina] Oh yes? ]:D

  • Sanadhil returns her wicked smile, briefly

[Yanina] I'm sure you will have learned a great deal from her, she's very knowledgeable.

[Sanadhil] she has a number of very interesting collections at her home

[Sanadhil] Indeed.

[Yanina] Perhaps you'd like to have a study group with me one evening, I'd be most curious to see what you've been working on.

[Sanadhil] I was just considering that you might find some of the material quite fascinating

[Yanina] Indeed, I'm sure I would.

[Sanadhil] well, I shall be certain to make an appointment

  • Yanina says with a smile.

[Yanina] Marvellous, I look forward to it. I haven't been able to get out as much as I might like, so it would be lovely to have a guest.

  • Sanadhil returns her look.

[Sanadhil] I shall do my best to prove good company, then.

[Yanina] Shall I have a carriage sent for you? Perhaps tomorrow evening?

[Sanadhil] Wonderful.

[Yanina] Delightful.

[Yanina] I look forward to conversing with you further then.

[Sanadhil] indeed, I shouldn't monopolize you further this afternoon.

  • Sanadhil gives her another little bow

[Yanina] Good day, M. Orecalo.

[Sanadhil] And you, Empress.


Ilphere and Phedre

[Diablotin_Narrator] Ilphere, you are approached by Mme. Lozada-Boyne.

[Phedre] Good afternoon, your highness.

  • Phedre says with a curtsey.

[Ilphere] Oh, good afternoon..! :)

[Phedre] It was a lovely ceremony, I thought.

[Ilphere] Oh yes... I particularly enjoyed the music...

[Phedre] Yes, it was marvellous.

[Phedre] May we speak more privately, perhaps?

[Ilphere] Certainly...

  • Ilphere looks around.

[Ilphere] Where...?

[Phedre] Perhaps if we stroll, we might find someplace less obvious.

  • Ilphere nods.
  • Ilphere will walk with her...
  • Phedre speaks quietly.

[Phedre] Have you had any further visions of late? And, do you know how Theron is holding up?

[Ilphere] I have not spoken to Theron very recently... Though I have been meaning to do so. :/

[Ilphere] I shall ask Dominik if I do not see him this afternoon...

  • Phedre nods.

[Ilphere] I did have... an interesting dream...

[Phedre] Oh?

  • Phedre sounds intrigued.

[Ilphere] I spoke with Patriarch Thaleus...

  • Ilphere will describe what happened.

[Ilphere] I am not sure how to interpret everything that he said...

  • Phedre listens intently.

[Ilphere] Do you know of the 'pact' of which he spoke...?

[Phedre] It does not entirely surprise me, but I know nothing of its details, I'm afraid.

[Ilphere] Or this... angel, Emkathon?

[Phedre] The name... is not one I've heard before :o

[Phedre] I can certainly look into it, though, if you wish.

  • Ilphere nods...

[Ilphere] Thank you... I am looking into it as well, but information is very scarce...!

[Phedre] Yes, at such a distance, and ... well, even divinations are not reliable sources on this matter, I fear.

[Phedre] Fascinating questions this raises, though.

[Ilphere] So many questions, yes...

[Phedre] Do you find that you've experienced greater.. control over these visions, recently?

[Ilphere] Some, yes...

[Phedre] I had hoped that might be the case!

[Phedre] Perhaps there is some hope for Theron, then, if...

[Ilphere] I have been practicing directing my dreams, and experimenting with certain substances to induce and intensify them...

  • Phedre nods.

[Ilphere] Oh...! Yes, perhaps..!

[Ilphere] I *would* like to help him...

  • Phedre smiles.

[Phedre] Perhaps it's possible. We will have to confer over the matter, but I think everyone would be amenable.

[Diablotin_Narrator] A gentleman you don't recognize approaches the two of you. He looks... a lot like Phedre, actually.

  • Ilphere looks up.

[Phorien] Sister, am I interrupting?

[Phedre] Why no, not at all, my dear :) May I introduce my brother, the Count of Kielce?

  • Phorien bows politely to you.
  • Ilphere bows her head politely.

[Ilphere] Pleased to meet you... :)

[Phorien] I was glad to be able to make it to the city for this occasion,

  • Phorien says with a smile.

[Phedre] Well, I shouldn't monopolize you, your highness - I hope you have a lovely afternoon :)

[Ilphere] And you as well...!

  • Phedre takes her brother's arm and departs.


Seth and Cyrenne

[Diablotin_Narrator] Seth, your family are in attendance. Your father eyes you warily from near the refreshments.

  • Seth will certainly not go talk to him unless approached, but eyes him warily back.

[Diablotin_Narrator] You also see your sisters, whom you haven't seen in ages. Cyrenne seems to be quite pregnant, which you hadn't heard about.

[Seth] Hello, sister. How lovely to see you. It's been a long time.

[Cyrenne] Oh. Seth.

[Cyrenne] Fancy seeing you here.

[Seth] I am certain that it was announced publicly.

[Cyrenne] Yes, well, I also didn't fail to notice the speech.

[Seth] I do not wish this to be an occasion for quarrelling. I do not believe I have given you any reason.

[Cyrenne] Only your foolish squabble with Father.

[Cyrenne] You know he was right. Just go apologize to him.

[Seth] I shall do no such thing. He needs to apologize to me.

[Cyrenne] You know that won't happen.

[Seth] That is not my concern.

[Cyrenne] So you're willing to simply set aside all of us because you refuse to apologize?

[Seth] I didn't say that.

[Seth] I am disinclined to apologize for actions for which I feel no remorse or regret, and which in retrospect have turned out quite positively for me.

[Seth] The fact that Father does not see them in this way is, again, not my concern.

[Cyrenne] [w] Sleeping with Mme. Dundrennan?! You see nothing to apologize for there?

[Seth] As you will recall, I am no longer, as you say, 'sleeping with' Vereth, and in fact this entire quarrel was motivated by the fact that I was ending an unfortunate situation.

[Cyrenne] Father is going to have a ton of work with rebuilding the market district - if you would only mend things with him, you'd surely have work there as well.

[Seth] I have no need of employment.

[Cyrenne] What *are* you doing these days?

  • Cyrenne eyes you skeptically.

[Seth] I am in the employ of the Duke of Friaul.

[Cyrenne] Yes, well - aren't we all, to some degree.

[Seth] Indeed.

[Seth] When is your child due?

[Cyrenne] Seventh-month.

[Seth] Very soon. You have my congratulations.

[Cyrenne] Yes, well. Perhaps by then, you'll realize that you're losing your family over your foolish pride.

[Cyrenne] Good day, Seth.

[Seth] Good day.


Guillame, Portia, Aden and Zivia

  • Portia takes your arm, Guillame.

[Guillame] Hello, my dear!

[Portia] Nice of them to make a little section for us - don't have to sit at the back any longer. Even if it *was* full of musicians and commoners ;)

[Guillame] It is rather an improvement - it almost makes one feel like a member of a *real* house

  • Guillame winks
  • Portia smiles at that.

[Guillame] I suppose it may be useful for you to know that the first place to look for me at these kinds of function is at the snack table, if I'm needed.

[Guillame] ... it's a good place to find anyone, I suppose.

[Portia] I rather thought it might be. I was caught up in conversations, but I've managed to escape at last.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Aden and Zivia are also arm-in-arm, talking. Aden glances over in your direction, as if trying to judge whether to come over and talk or not.

  • Guillame nods in acknowledgement
  • Aden and Zivia come over to chat with you, then. How nice :D

[Aden] Good afternoon :)

[Guillame] Good afternoon to you, and to Mmle Rademacher

  • Guillame bows

[Zivia] It's good to finally meet you, M. Rionet.

[Zivia] I've heard so much about you...

[Guillame] It's wonderful to meet you too - I've heard many nice things

  • Zivia smiles.

[Zivia] I'm only glad I had the chance to meet you before your wedding - that might have been awkward :)

  • Portia chuckles dryly at that.

[Portia] You'll be attending then, I presume?

[Zivia] Well.. I rather thought I would, yes.

  • Zivia says with a glance at Aden.

[Aden] Oh.. yes, of course.

[Portia] Mmhmm.

[Guillame] Wonderful!

[Portia] We look forward to it, of course.

[Zivia] Perhaps before then, if you're not too busy, we might be able to have dinner together, all of us.

[Guillame] I think that's a great idea

  • Guillame looks to Portia
  • Zivia nods.

[Portia] Certainly. I'm sure we have much to discuss.

[Zivia] Indeed.

  • Zivia and Portia are eyeing one another evenly, like boxers about to begin a match.

[Aden] Well, that would be lovely :D

  • Aden says brightly.

[Guillame] SO, Portia and I were just discussing how pleased we are with the new section for our house!

[Aden] Oh, yes, isn't that great? I was so glad that they decided to put it in.

[Guillame] I suppose it would have been hard to make the case to omit it now...

[Aden] Well, you might be surprised - but yes, I think that it was a minority opinion that wanted it rebuilt exactly the same as it had been.

[Aden] Maybe it's the start of bigger changes - we can hope, anyway.

[Guillame] It's one more way that we're institutionally recognised.

  • Portia nods to that.

[Guillame] Maybe next time the hall burns down we can argue for a section for the houseless, but I'm satisfied for now ;)

[Aden] Hopefully that won't happen anytime soon ;)

[Guillame] ... the tragic fires, yes, I hope not too.

[Zivia] Well, it's been lovely chatting with you, but I think we ought to go, Aden - I was hoping you'd get to speak with my family as well.

[Guillame] It was nice to meet you properly, Zivia.

  • Guillame bows

[Zivia] And you as well.

  • Zivia bids you both a polite farewell, and leads Aden off by the arm.

[Portia] ...Hm.

[Guillame] Is there a history between the two of you?

[Portia] Not yet.

  • Portia says, as you go off for some more refreshments.
  • Guillame nods 'fair enough'


Ysabeau and Martan

  • Ysabeau is wandering in the crowd making the most of her 15 minutes of True Sight.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Ysa, you see 'Martan' there - he looks the same even with the True Sight, you notice.

  • Ysabeau watches him briefly to see who he's talking to, what sort of mood he's in, etc.

[Ysabeau] (I'll have been wandering for a while before this... can't really talk to him until the True Sight wears off or I'll have wasted Alma's spell)

  • Martan is not talking to anyone atm, just sipping his drink and watching the crowd.

[Diablotin_Narrator] (that's fine)

  • Ysabeau mentally calculates that there's only a minute or so left for the True Sight, so she makes her way over to Martan, keeping her eyes peeled as she goes, just in case.
  • Ysabeau curtseys when she is within conversational distance of Martan.
  • Martan bows politely.

[Ysabeau] Good afternoon, M. Olivier.

[Martan] Good afternoon :)

[Ysabeau] I am saddened that you never replied to my notes about meeting over coffee to chat about Greywatch.

  • Ysabeau smiles to take any sting out of her words.

[Martan] I apologize for my rudeness...

[Ysabeau] It's quite all right. I suppose you have been kept terribly busy by more important people.

[Ysabeau] ;)

[Martan] Well, terribly busy, yes. I don't know if they were more important ;)

  • Ysabeau laughs.

[Ysabeau] You are too sweet.

[Ysabeau] How have you been?

[Ysabeau] You seem no worse for wear.

[Martan] Oh, well enough. And you?

[Ysabeau] Busy, busy, busy myself.

[Ysabeau] That may slacken a bit now that this symphony is complete.

[Ysabeau] Then again, it might make my life even busier.

[Ysabeau] We shall see.

[Martan] It was lovely, truly. I hope it brings you all the attention you deserve :)

  • Ysabeau tucks an artfully loose ringlet behind her ear and blushes slightly at the compliment.

[Ysabeau] Thank you, M. Olivier.

  • Ysabeau smiles up at him.

[Martan] You're most welcome.

  • Martan smiles back.

[Martan] ... Do you... would you like to join me for dinner this evening, perhaps? I'm sure you have a dozen invitations already...

[Ysabeau] (Do I? ;) )

[Diablotin_Narrator] (well, probably - but not from people you're really interested in, most likely ;)

[Ysabeau] Six, so far. The afternoon is early yet.

  • Martan chuckles.

[Martan] Only six? I expected more ;)

[Ysabeau] So far, yours is the most appealing.

  • Martan smiles at that.

[Martan] I'd be honoured.

[Martan] But if someone even more appealing invites you, feel free to accept.

[Ysabeau] Well, in that case...

[Ysabeau] If some terribly interesting other people invite me, would it be too much to ask to make it a dinner party?

[Martan] Much as I'd prefer to have you all to myself, even enjoying your company with others would be a delightful evening.

  • Ysabeau smiles beautifully.

[Ysabeau] You are a true gentleman.

[Martan] Well, I try.

  • Ysabeau will chat with him for a while.


Seth and Menard

[Diablotin_Narrator] Seth, you wanted to talk to Menard?

  • Seth will catch Menard's eye at some point and smile at him, then head over.

[Menard] Hey Seth. Nice speech.

[Seth] Uh, thanks. I hope it wasn't too much above people's heads.

[Menard] Well, I followed it ok, and I'm pretty much a cretin, right? :)

  • Seth laughs.

[Seth] No one thinks that you're a cretin. I hope.

[Menard] I'm sure you've called me that before... but never mind.

[Seth] Doubtless.

[Seth] So ... I was really a little surprised to get the request to speak.

[Seth] I would have thought they would get the actual architects to do it.

[Menard] Well, yeah - it was kind of my suggestion. I hope you don't mind.

[Seth] Have you ever known me to be reluctant to offer my scholarly opinions?

[Menard] Hahah, no.

[Seth] My father isn't really impressed. We're still not speaking. Alas.

[Menard] That's too bad :/

[Seth] Well, he doesn't understand.

  • Menard nods.

[Seth] And you - how have you been?

[Menard] Oh, you know, pretty busy with stuff...

[Menard] What about you?

[Seth] About the same. Stuff.

  • Seth tries to think of what he could actually tell Menard, and then fails utterly.
  • Aldrian wanders over, perfectly naturally, to say hi to his cousin.... oh, and you, Seth.

[Menard] Oh hey Rian, how're things?

[Aldrian] Great, actually.

  • Aldrian says with a smile.

[Seth] Hello once again. Nice to see you.

[Menard] Great, glad to hear it :)

[Menard] Oh good, you two know each other. Now I don't have to introduce you properly.

  • Menard says with some relief.

[Seth] We met at your wedding.

[Menard] Right, of course!

[Menard] It's all kind of a blur.

  • Aldrian smiles.

[Aldrian] Understandable.

[Seth] How have you been?

  • Seth asks Aldrian.

[Aldrian] Fine, thanks. And yourself?

[Seth] Very well. I have several scholarly projects I'm working on.

[Aldrian] Related to the architecture here? Or other buildings?

[Seth] Well, there is this one, but the other projects are more varied.

[Aldrian] Well, I'd love to hear about them, if you don't mind talking about your work.

[Menard] Seth always likes to talk about his work ;)

[Seth] I'd be glad to.

  • Seth goes on at length about some of his other work, but not his OTHER other work ...
  • Menard makes his excuses to leave because other people have to talk to him, but Aldrian seems happy to stay and listen.


Ilphere and Triana

  • Triana approaches you at the snack table.

[Triana] Ilphère! I mean, Your Highness! It's great to see you :)

  • Ilphere eats a cookie...

[Ilphere] Oh...! Hello...!

  • Ilphere smiles...

[Ilphere] How are you..? It's been ages...!

[Triana] It has! I haven't even *spotted* you since the wedding, I think.

[Triana] I'm good though, same as usual, I suppose. How about you?

[Ilphere] Oh, well... busy...

[Triana] Nose in your studies, I suppose? :)

[Ilphere] You probably heard that my Grand-Mère passed away...

[Ilphere] I've been helping my father sort through her things and such...

[Triana] Yes... I had heard :(

  • Triana looks a little sheepish.

[Triana] Father told me about the memorials in the broadsheets.

[Triana] You were quite close, right?

  • Ilphere nods.

[Ilphere] It is strange without her...

[Triana] At least we know the Gods will guide her on through another turn of the wheel :)

  • Triana says that a little ... mechanically.

[Ilphere] (sm?)

  • Triana seems to be grasping at things to say about that particular issue.

[Ilphere] (ugh, never mind)

[Triana] (Triana's never been particularly calculating, socially... or at least not good at it.)

[Ilphere] I suppose so... :/

[Triana] Did she enjoy the wedding?

[Ilphere] Oh yes... I think so... :)

  • Ilphere smiles a bit wistfully.

[Triana] She must have been so proud... you were beautiful!

[Ilphere] I think that it reminded her of parties from when she was younger..

[Triana] I wanted to stop by to wish you both well, but there were just so many *important* people about that wanted your time... I guess I just chickened out. :/

[Triana] I managed to push my way through them today :)

[Ilphere] Ah, well...

[Ilphere] I'm glad you did... :)

  • Triana smiles back, relieved.

[Triana] I hear you're doing really well at the Castalia.

[Ilphere] Well enough I guess... My research is taking me in some unexpected but fascinating directions...!

[Ilphere] (Isn't Triana there as well?)

[Triana] (Yes, but she's ... less committed.)

[Triana] Something about dreams, right?

  • Ilphere nods, looking pleased...

[Ilphere] And what are you up to...?

[Triana] (You'd have noticed she isn't in the same level lectures, etc. anymore.)

[Triana] Uh, well, squeeking by?

[Triana] You know how it is...

[Triana] ... well I suppose you don't :)

[Ilphere] What are you doing outside school...?

[Triana] I was dating this guy for a while, but apparently his parents weren't "prominent enough" so mine gave me such a hassle.

[Triana] It's about all they talk about, really.

  • Triana looks frustrated.

[Ilphere] That's too bad... :(

[Ilphere] Did you like him?

[Triana] He was nice enough, I guess. I'm not broken hearted or anything.

[Triana] I figure if it was "True Love" I'd be a wreck, right? :)

[Triana] That's part of why I haven't been by to see you... they're always on about when I'm going to see you next, if you'd introduce me to someone.

  • Triana shakes her head

[Triana] Anyway, that's ... ignore that.

[Ilphere] Most of the people they would want me to introduce you to... well, they aren't very interesting anyway...

[Triana] Like that matters to them.

[Triana] I'll figure something out.

[Ilphere] :/

[Ilphere] I hope so... I know how it can be; my parents were... a lot like that.

[Ilphere] I was very fortunate with Menard...

[Triana] Yeah, I remember you saying...

[Triana] You don't have a spare prince lying around? :)

[Ilphere] Sadly he is all out of brothers...!

[Triana] I was thinking though... I've heard about the Antiquarian Society, and all the things you've been doing.

[Triana] I thought that maybe it would be fun.

[Triana] I mean, best of both worlds right?

[Triana] Upstanding gentlemen, and interesting meetings.

[Triana] .oO( I could justify going to those... )

[Ilphere] Oh yes...! It is most diverting!

  • Ilphere agrees eagerly.

[Triana] I hear you need to be sponsored, though?

[Triana] Do you have to be ... a researcher or anything?

[Ilphere] (nes?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (hey, Dom is a member, so... ;)

[Ilphere] Well, theoretically...

  • Triana looks disappointed.

[Ilphere] However, my cousin is a member and he is mostly interested in researching the contents of the liquor cabinet, so...

[Ilphere] ;)

  • Triana laughs

[Triana] That's Dom right?

  • Ilphere nods.

[Ilphere] If you are really interested, I would be willing...

[Triana] That would be wonderful!

[Triana] I really do think it would be fun.

[Ilphere] It would be nice to see you more often... :)

[Ilphere] (who knows, you might even learn something :V)

[Triana] (Haha.)

  • Triana smiles.

[Triana] Yeah, it would.

[Triana] It might shame me into working harder myself :)

[Ilphere] Well, you might find something that piques your interest...!

[Triana] Well, I should let you get going... I'll be in touch about the Antiquarian Society soon, ok? :)

[Ilphere] Wonderful...!

[Ilphere] Have a good afternoon...!

[Triana] You too :)

Dominik and Fredericia

[Diablotin_Narrator] Dom, Fredericia comes to have a quick word with you.

  • Dominik looks impassive as Fredericia approaches

[Fredericia] [q] Something's going on - not sure what.

[Dominik] [q] Well that was very vague.

  • Fredericia shrugs.

[Fredericia] [q] Bridge of Vanities is blocked, and the Market Bridge is going to be a nightmare getting off the island.

[Fredericia] [q] You might wanna either stay here, or go north and then around by the Eagle Bridge if you're headed to the Grand tonight.

[Dominik] [q] Maybe I should go the other way and find out what the something is.

[Fredericia] [q] I was hoping you'd say that.

[Fredericia] [q] C'mon, let's skip out on this, we'll find something interesting instead.

  • Dominik nods

[Diablotin_Narrator] You and Fredericia can leave, headed for the Bridge of Vanities and whatever might be happening there...


Alma and Danyel

[Diablotin_Narrator] It is nightfall by the time most people are leaving the Hall. A display of fireworks has been timed to coincide with the mass exodus.

[Diablotin_Narrator] There seems to be some commotion of some sort going on at the Bridge of Vanities, and so most of the nobles' carriages depart via the Market Bridge, which is closer to the Grand anyway, though older and less impressive than its counterparts.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The traffic is sluggish, moving very slowly as hundreds of people attempt to cross the Ousel at once.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Alma, you and Danyel are in your carriage about halfway across the bridge, having moved only a few feet in the past quarter-hour. At least you have fireworks to watch...

  • Alma cuddles up with him as we look out the window together.
  • Danyel wraps his arm around you comfortably.

[Alma] You know, if we think about it, this isn't a bad thing :)

[Danyel] It could certainly be worse...

  • Alma hums a bit of Ysabeau's music.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Suddenly there is a crash that make the entire bridge shudder, followed immediately by an explosion that throws your carriage over on its side.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The bridge groans and tilts sharply to the right, wood splintering and shattering, as the smell of sulfur and smoke reaches you.

[Alma] Oh no!

  • Danyel tries to open the door - now upwards - so you can get out
  • Alma is supernaturally unencumbered by falling carriage things.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The bridge is going to collapse - no, *is* collapsing! Carriages are already sliding helplessly off into the black water below, the screams of horses and people alike ringing in your ears.

[Danyel] Give me your hand, Alma!

[Alma] Don't worry about me!

  • Alma casts Fly.
  • Danyel clambers out onto the top of the carriage, so at least he's free of that before it starts to fall...
  • Alma will fly out of the open doorway and look about to see what she can do.

[Diablotin_Narrator] (what's your encumberance... you could try to grab Danyel)

[Alma] (Nope, only 100 lbs)

  • Danyel starts to fall along with the carriage, then...
  • Alma casts Wind Walk on him

[Alma] (and herself)

[Diablotin_Narrator] Concentration check, I think, might be in order.

[Alma] (DC?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (15)

[Alma] (Made it.)

[Alma] (sec)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (hello?)


Guillame

[Diablotin_Narrator] Guillame, when you hear about the bridge collapse, you are of course desperate to find out whether your mother and sisters made it home safely.

[Guillame] (Am I still staying at the palace?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (you had been, because of... security concerns, yeah)

[Diablotin_Narrator] The best way across to the Grand at the moment, aside from using magic or a boat, is to take the Bridge of Tears to the north bank, then come around through the Pav and take the Eagle Bridge south.

  • Guillame will endeavour to borrow a horse, and disguise himself with the ring as soon as he can be out of sight.

[Diablotin_Narrator] You can certainly do that.

[Diablotin_Narrator] You reach the house quite late, after having fought through the crowds, to find the servants in a flurry of activity. Apparently the horses returned, but not the carriage...

[Guillame] (D:)

[Diablotin_Narrator] They have sent for the guards, but they're a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

[Guillame] (Did the occupants make it home without it?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (nope)

[Guillame] (:/)

  • Guillame leaves some instructions for setting things straight, and then heads back to the bridge, disguised again.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Much of the wreckage from the disaster has been swept downriver, so there's not a whole lot to see there. You don't see their carriage or their bodies among those that have been retrieved, at least.

  • Guillame is finding it hard to think straight
  • Guillame looks for someone in charge, or a guard

[Guard_] Yes sir?

[Guillame] Where can I find out what happened... about who is unharmed?

[Guillame] And... not...

[Guard_] That's a good question, sir. It's all a bit chaotic right now, no hard lists I'm afraid.

[Guard_] You have someone you're looking for, I can keep an eye out for them, that's about all I can offer.

[Guillame] I'm looking for the Rionets... do you know them?

[Guard_] Afraid not. Can you describe them?

  • Guillame lists and describes his Mother and Sisters
  • Guard_ takes down some notes.

[Guard_] I haven't seen anyone matching those descriptions. You may yet be in luck, sir. I hope so, at any rate.

[Guillame] And what of those swept downstream? Is there any effort to help them?

[Guard_] There are boats... doing what they can, as I understand.

[Guard_] Try back tomorrow - maybe more word by then.

  • Guillame sighs, and nods.

[Guard_] Don't give up hope.

  • Guard_ pats your shoulder, a bit awkwardly.
  • Guillame heads back to the palace, taking main roads and any that follow the river, in case he sees any of his family on the way.

[Diablotin_Narrator] On your way, you retrace the route they would probably have taken along the river - if they made it this far, that is...

[Guillame] *nod

  • Guillame will ask Aden to send a messenger to wait at the house, and inform him if there is any news.

[Diablotin_Narrator] It's pitch dark by this time... but you catch a familiar scent on the air.

[Guillame] (D:)

[Diablotin_Narrator] Your mother's perfume...

[Guillame] (:V)

  • Guillame stops short and looks around

[Diablotin_Narrator] You're in a wooded stretch along the riverbank.

  • Guillame heads down to the bank, tying the horse if the surface is too bad.

[Diablotin_Narrator] You find the carriage, pulled off to the side in some cover, sitting strangely silent - it doesn't look as if it's washed up on the shore.

  • Guillame checks that it is empty

[Diablotin_Narrator] The carriage door is slightly ajar, and you see with alarm a pale hand hanging out of it, limp.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Inside, the carriage is drenched with blood. Your mother and Alesia are inside, their throats slit.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Silvia is nowhere to be seen.

[Guillame] ]:(

  • Guillame looks for tracks

[Diablotin_Narrator] You can make a search check.

[Guillame] (20)

[Diablotin_Narrator] You can see the tracks where the carriage was dragged off into the bushes, to conceal it, and some human footprints around it, you think male. As the footmen and driver are nowhere to be found, you have no way of knowing if it's their tracks running away or the attackers (assuming they're not the same)...

[Diablotin_Narrator] You don't see any tracks that look like Silvia's, however.


Guillame and Aden

  • Guillame ... goes back to the hall, looking for Seth and/or Aden.
  • Aden_ is findable, eventually.

[Aden_] Guy, thank the gods you're ok... I was so worried.

[Guillame] I need... to talk to you.

[Aden_] Oh... of course.

  • Guillame gestures away from people
  • Aden_ takes you somewhere away from people, then.

[Aden_] What's wrong?

[Guillame] Is there anyone that can investigate a murder that will actually find out the truth, instead of just what they want people to think?

[Aden_] ... what's happened :o

[Guillame] I... someone killed Mother and Alesia.

[Guillame] Deliberately.

[Aden_] OH ... oh, Guy, I'm sorry :o

[Guillame] And I don't know where Silvia is.

[Aden_] Gods, that's awful! We'll find her, I swear it.

[Aden_] Where did this happen? *What* happened?

[Guillame] They took the carriage, and they hid it, and they cut their throats.

[Guillame] I found it... I was riding along the river.

  • Aden_ puts a hand over his mouth, horrified.

[Guillame] I smelled mother's perfume.

  • Aden_ takes you in his arms.

[Guillame] I want someone to look at the scene before anyone can mess with it... I thought about asking Seth, or someone else from the Society...

[Aden_] I don't know where they are. But ... I can find someone, I'm sure.

[Guillame] Or maybe a cleric? Or a mage... yes, someone. Someone trustworthy.

  • Aden_ nods.

[Aden_] There are a lot of dead tonight... but I'll find someone to help, I promise.

  • Guillame is clearly furious, and hasn't gotten around to grief yet.

[Guillame] I suppose it could be connected to the bridge sabotage, but I... I don't really know.

[Aden_] I'll... I could get my aunt Martine, maybe. She's excellent at noticing things.

  • Guillame doesn't really know who that is, and seems rather distracted

[Guillame] Hrm. Yes, that's fine.

[Aden_] We'll look for Seth, too, if you want him to help. I'll send someone to try and find him.

[Guillame] Yes, Seth's good at noticing things too.

  • Aden_ nods.

[Guillame] You're supposed to be when you're a researcher.

  • Aden_ makes you come with him, reluctant to leave you alone.
  • Guillame will be ushered wherever, but will keep looking for other society members as they walk.

[Diablotin_Narrator] (probably most likely to find Ilphere, on the island... I suspect San is safely home, Dom is ... busy, Ysa went out to dinner, Alma is working on the rescue efforts, and Seth is... dunno :o)

  • Sanadhil is safely home, yes

[Guillame] (I will co-opt Ilphere, if she'll come along?)

[Ilphere] (sure)

  • Guillame lets Aden explain, unless he starts getting things wrong
  • Martine will allow herself to be dragged to investigate this horrible scene.
  • Aden_ will indeed do the explaining, assuming you are not in any state to do it yourself.

[Diablotin_Narrator] You make your way back to the scene of the crime...

[Diablotin_Narrator] (Everyone can have a search check to look around)

[Guillame] (Can I take 20? Do we do that?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (sure)

[Guillame] (Then my search check is 36)

[Diablotin_Narrator] Guillame, you are looking around the riverbank for any clues there, when you hear a small rustling noise.

  • Guillame goes to see what it is
  • Rat_ is a small, russet-furred rat cowering in the bushes. It approaches you when it sees you, though.

[Guillame] Hrm.

  • Rat_ comes quite close, sniffing at your feet.
  • Guillame bends down to the rat, letting it sniff his knuckles
  • Rat_ climbs up onto your hand after a moment's hesitation.

[Guillame] Hrm.

  • Rat_ 's eyes... one of them is clouded, like Silvia's (and Raina's).
  • Guillame looks around, and steps out of view of the rest of the investigators
  • Rat_ 's nose twitches uncertainly.

[Ilphere] (I get a 37 to search for clues)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (ok)

[Guillame] Hrm. If you're going to turn into a person, it's probably best to do it out of view of other people.

[Ilphere] (42 if I can get the bonus from my glasses)

[Diablotin_Narrator] ('k)

[Guillame] If not, I suppose you can have a ride in my pocket.

  • Rat_ will clamber into your pocket, then.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Will write up what's found in the investigation and email, due to lateness...

[Guillame] (Ok :) )

  • Guillame will keep looking for clues with everyone else.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Eventually, guards will come along and take over, but you've probably found everything you can at that point.

  • Guillame will not investigate inside the carriage, I suppose.

[Diablotin_Narrator] (good plan...)

[Diablotin_Narrator] The end for now... solos can be arranged at everyone's leisure.

Solos

Dominik and Fredericia

[Diablotin_Narrator] Dom, you and Fredericia leave the party and make your way through the crowded streets of the Imperial Isle, heading for the Bridge of Vanities.

[Fredericia] It could turn out to be nothing - a cart overturned blocking the way or something equally boring.

  • Fredericia warns you.

[Dominik] It's not like where we were leaving was that exciting, at least to me

  • Fredericia nods.

[Fredericia] At least it was short, and there wasn't any dancing.

[Fredericia] The problem is, if we *are* going into a fight, we're not exactly well-prepared for it.

  • Fredericia says, eyeing your party clothes as well as her own gown.

[Dominik] Can't you improvise?

[Fredericia] I have a better idea. Let's requisition some stuff. There are *some* perks that come with my rank, after all.

  • Fredericia says with a grin.
  • Fredericia points to the Treasury, which is just up ahead.
  • Dominik smiles at that
  • Fredericia walks up the steps to the door boldly.
  • Fredericia speaks to the guards outside.

[Fredericia] Do you know what's going on at the Bridge of Vanities, soldier?

[Guard_] Uh... not sure, miss. My lady. Sir.

  • Guard_ corrects himself in the face of Fredericia's stern glare.

[Guard_] People coming this way say it's blocked, but I don't know anything further than that.

[Fredericia] And you haven't gone to investigate, I take it.

[Guard_] Can't leave my post, sir.

[Fredericia] Of course you can't.

  • Fredericia says, faux-sympathetically.

[Dominik] Guess its up to us.

  • Fredericia nods.

[Fredericia] We'll have to speak with the Master of the Treasury, then.

  • Fredericia whisks past the guard into the grand marble building before he can stop her.
  • Master of the Treasury is an old man, past seventy, with grey hair and a thick beard.
  • Dominik steps in before the guard can react, on Fredericia's heals

[Master] What is the meaning of this?

  • Master demands, coming out to see what the commotion is about.

[Fredericia] Master Garelay, I do apologize for disturbing you, but it is a matter of some urgency.

[Fredericia] There is a problem on the Bridge of Vanities, and my companion and I are ordered to investigate by the Warlord herself.

[Fredericia] In order that we may carry out our appointed task safely, we request the loan of appropriate arms and armor from the Treasury, to be returned upon the completion of our investigation.

  • Master looks wary.

[Master] Permit me, if you don't mind, to contact the Warlord and confirm this?

[Fredericia] We don't have time for a ten-minute sending.

  • Fredericia says calmly.

[Fredericia] I am Fredericia Hartzell, niece of the Chief Sorceress, and I hereby requisition two weapons and two suits of armor in the name of the Companions of Silence, for the protection of the Empire, for a duration of not longer than one day. I will gladly sign a surety to that effect, but we cannot waste further time in bantering.

[Master] ...Very well.

  • Master does indeed make her sign to that, though :p
  • Master then escorts you both into an armory.
  • Dominik shakes his head at the excess formality

[Diablotin_Narrator] The walls are lined with weapons of all sorts, and suits of armor are neatly arranged on stands.

  • Fredericia picks out a very elegant-looking rapier and a suit of leather armor, which she changes into hastily (and rather to the surprise of the old man), leaving her gown behind.

[Diablotin_Narrator] You can pick a weapon and armor of your choice (within reason, let me know what you're picking ;)

  • Dominik will look for a good quality longsword, a breastplate and a shield.

[Diablotin_Narrator] OK. +3 on all of them seem reasonable? :)

[Dominik] (ok)

  • Fredericia looks pleased as you leave once more.

[Fredericia] That's much better.

[Dominik] It will do.

  • Fredericia picks up the pace as you near the bridge.
  • Dominik will nab a gun off one of the guards, just in case

[Fredericia] (sure :)

[Diablotin_Narrator] You are approaching the bridge now. It seems oddly deserted. A cluster of people stand a little distance from the end, behind a hastily-erected barrier made of a tipped-over cart and some barrels.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Several guards also stand by the barrier, as if considering what to do.

  • Fredericia strolls up to the guards.

[Fredericia] What's going on here, soliders?

[Guard_] None of your concern - now back behind the barrier, miss, for your own safety.

  • Fredericia draws herself up to her full height of just over five feet, and snaps at the guard.

[Fredericia] You will address me as 'sir' if you presume to speak to me again. Someone more useful, tell me what the void is going on.

  • Female_Guard salutes.

[Female_Guard] Sir. There is a spell of some kind on the bridge, and a... creature is blocking it.

[Fredericia] What sort of creature?

[Female_Guard] Humanoid, appears female, evil as hell. Mounted on a horse of some sort.

[Fredericia] And what's the spell?

[Female_Guard] A fear effect, I figure. Some who tried to go onto the bridge ended up running away, others are badly shaken up.

[Female_Guard] I was all right, but I didn't feel I could proceed alone, sir.

  • Female_Guard adds.
  • Fredericia turns to you, Dom.

[Dominik] You've got help now, lets deal with this thing, where ever it came from.

[Fredericia] Any thoughts on our approach?

[Dominik] I'll lead the way in, you try and flank it... take out the horse to limit its maneuverablity and finish it.

  • Fredericia nods.

[Fredericia] [q] We could take her - she made it onto the bridge before without pissing herself, and she's an extra target.

[Dominik] [q] Sure, it will be good experience for her too

  • Fredericia nods, then.

[Fredericia] What's your name, soldier?

  • Fredericia asks the young woman.

[Female_Guard] Nais, sir.

[Fredericia] Then you're with us, Nais. The rest of you, carry on keeping the civilians back from the bridge, and send for reinforcements. Spellcasters, especially.

  • Fredericia steps forward onto the bridge, sword drawn.
  • Dominik joins her, sword and shield ready
  • Nais follows, also with her pair of shortswords out.

[Diablotin_Narrator] You feel a slight shiver as you step onto the bridge.

[Diablotin_Narrator] (What's your AL, Dom? I forget :)

[Dominik] (AL?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (alignment)

[Debbie] (NG)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (ok)

[Dominik] (yeah thats it)

[Diablotin_Narrator] The very air around the bridge seems to crawl with an evil feeling.

  • Nais goes pale, but proceeds with you.
  • Fredericia seems... unaffected by the aura of wrongness about this place.

[Diablotin_Narrator] At the centre of the bridge is a black horse with a female figure on its back.

[Fredericia] [q] Everyone ok?

  • Fredericia asks you both.

[Dominik] [q] The area feels wrong... but I can handle it.

  • Dominik face shows grim determination
  • Nais nods.

[Nais] [q] It's a demon of some sort. I'm sure of it.

[Fredericia] [q] Looks that way. See the horse's hooves. That's not normal.

  • Dominik looks hard

[Diablotin_Narrator] On closer examination, the horse's hooves are wreathed with flames, and smoke issues from its nostrils when it snorts.

[Diablotin_Narrator] (ok, let's switch over to gametable...)

[Dominik] [q] I think my first plan may be a good one.

[Fredericia] [q] I'll get behind it, somehow.

Fighty fight fight in Gametable

[Diablotin_Narrator] With the creatures slain, you have a moment to catch your breath.

  • Fredericia looks annoyed, if pleased that they're dead.

[Fredericia] We'll have to tell the Warlord about this.

  • Dominik nods

[Dominik] This doesn't make much sense... that thing was tough, but not invulnerable... it couldn't have held the bridge for long. What's the point?

[Fredericia] Not sure.

[Nais] The bridge still has some kind of spell on it...

  • Nais pipes up.

[Dominik] (the uneasy feeling is still there?)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (yes)

[Fredericia] True... maybe that was the point? I don't know enough about magic to guess what it might be.

[Dominik] Maybe its something on it...

[Fredericia] Search the bodies.

  • Dominik will give a quick search of the body and the horses

[Dominik] (singular horse)

[Diablotin_Narrator] (ok, just checking something)

[Diablotin_Narrator] There is a necklace around the thing's neck, and a belt about its waist, the robe it was wearing, as well as a handful of gems in its pocket. Since you have no Detect magic, you don't know which if any of these things are magic.

[Diablotin_Narrator] Nothing on the horse.

  • Dominik will grab the necklace, belt and gems and take them off the bridge, in hopes that the aura goes with one of them.

[Dominik] Any chance there is a mage on the watch?

[Nais] They were calling for some.. I don't know if they've arrived yet.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The aura does not seem to travel with any of those items, Dom.

[Dominik] Void, that didnt work

[Fredericia] Until some casters get here and can figure this out, this bridge is off-limits.

[Dominik] Could it have dropped something on the bridge or had time to draw some magic scribbles?

  • Dominik asks Nais

[Nais] Maybe. Or maybe it cast the spell and .. it stays in effect after it's dead? I'm not really sure.

  • Fredericia walks off the bridge, wiping her sword. The assembled crowds (much larger now) cheer you all on when you emerge.

[Fredericia] I could use a fucking drink. The smoke from that thing was disgusting.

[Dominik] [q] all these people, and not one of them has a useful skill to deal with this.

[Dominik] Don't remind me... where did that think nip ya?

[Fredericia] Everyone useful's at the party :p Until word gets to them and one of them can pry themself away to deal with this... *shrug*

  • Dominik wipes the soot of the hoof off his shoulder

[Fredericia] Got me on the arm...

  • Fredericia shows you her injuries.

[Nais] We do have a healer with us... I think she can help you out.

[Nais] [q] She's new, but I don't think she'll mess this up, at least ;)

[Dominik] Just a quick look, who knows where that bitch of a things been.

  • Fredericia nods grudgingly.

[Diablotin_Narrator] The cleric takes a look, and will heal some of her damage at least.

[Fredericia] I trust you can keep civilians off the bridge until someone competent to deal with this spell gets here?

  • Fredericia says to Nais.

[Nais] Sure. I don't think anyone really wants to set foot on it anyway...

[Dominik] Has a message been sent to the Warlord?

[Nais] Uh... no, I guess not. We sent word to our Captain, maybe the message has been passed along?

[Dominik] We can get a drink on the way, she's likely still at the party.

  • Dominik says to Fredericia

[Diablotin_Narrator] The Captain, Franeka of Gouge, and an assortment of other guards are arriving on the scene now, in fact, so it seems like things will be taken care of.

  • Fredericia nods.

[Fredericia] Thanks, Nais. You should get promoted :p

[Nais] Thanks, sir :)

  • Fredericia walks off with you, then, through the crowds of people who are gathered to see what's going on.
  • Dominik nods in agreement with Fredericia's comment

[Fredericia] Come on - let's find that drink.

  • Dominik nods in agreement with that comment as well
  • Dominik joins her weaving through the crowd

[Fredericia] You're not hurt too bad, I hope.

[Fredericia] I don't think that cleric had any more healing in her.

[Dominik] Just a graze really, I wont even notice it come morning

[Fredericia] OK then.

  • Fredericia finds a fountain to wash her hands in and scoop up some water for a drink.
  • Fredericia splashes some water over her face, too.

[Fredericia] Ugh.

[Fredericia] Soot and I don't even know what.

  • Dominik will take the time to clean his face off as well

[Fredericia] We'll probably be in the papers.

  • Fredericia sounds kind of annoyed by that, but then, she's annoyed by lots of things.

[Dominik] I try not to think of all the shit I've breathed in with all the strange places I've fought

[Fredericia] Heh.

[Dominik] Just what I always wanted, to be in print.

  • Fredericia gives a wry smile at that.

[Fredericia] Oh look - they're starting the fireworks.

  • Fredericia says as the first few go off up-river.
  • Dominik looks over

[Fredericia] Kind of pointless. Pretty, though, I guess.

[Dominik] Exciting if you havent been fighting for your life just a few minutes earlier with demons and flaming horses

  • Fredericia nods.

[Dominik] I must thank you for rescuing me from that dreadful party

[Fredericia] Oh... hey, no problem. And thank you for all your help.

[Fredericia] Fucking flying creatures, fucking smoke... they do it just to piss us off, I think.

[Dominik] Do they have cloaks of flying in the treasury of ours... if they do, next time I'm making sure I have one. Do cloaks of flying even exist?

  • Fredericia laughs.

[Fredericia] I don't know. I'm sure they have something, though.

[Dominik] Next time... whatever that thing is, we bring it...

  • Fredericia watches the fireworks in the darkened sky.
  • Dominik stands next to her and watches as well

[Fredericia] This is all a mess, Dom... I need to be level with you.

[Dominik] Is this where you tell me about the mess that the Companions of Silence have become and the split in leadership?

[Fredericia] ...Yeah, that.

[Fredericia] You already figured it out, huh?

[Dominik] I'm still a Wolf, arn't I?

[Fredericia] Yeah. I should give you more credit, probably. You're not just a meat-shield ;)

[Dominik] So, spill... lay it out to me.

[Fredericia] [q] I don't know what's right anymore. I don't know which side is right. Maybe neither of them.

[Fredericia] [q] I want to do what's best for the Empire. And this fight is far from what's best for the Empire.

[Fredericia] Stupid squabbling over power and who's inside the law and who's outside it... but the law isn't a line. It's...a cloud, maybe. It's not that easy to see sometimes.

  • Fredericia looks upset.

[Fredericia] If I were Empress... I was so damn close, Dom, and maybe I could have sorted this out, but I'm not, and I can't.

[Fredericia] And Marl doesn't give a fuck, obviously.

[Dominik] There are so many agendas going on, and I'm like you, I have no idea who is right or wrong... so much grey.

  • Fredericia nods.

[Fredericia] Things like that... thing back there - it's almost a relief, at least you know it's evil and you can fight it.

[Fredericia] You know?

[Dominik] Exactly

[Dominik] I know right what you mean... no thinking that if I am killing this am I really helping the people I want to help, or just making it easier for someone else

  • Fredericia nods.

[Dominik] So what can we do about it?

  • Fredericia sighs.

[Fredericia] We can tell the Warlord about what happened. And my aunt, for that matter. That sort of thing, it's outside the Hush's territory.

  • Dominik nods

[Fredericia] And for now... we keep balancing on the knife's edge.

[Dominik] back into the mist

  • Fredericia gives you an ... affectionate (?) pat on the shoulder.
  • Dominik glances down at her

[Dominik] how do you keep your balance?

[Fredericia] Just keep running fast and don't look down.

  • Dominik sighs

[Dominik] I guess I'll have to.

[Fredericia] Look... we'll talk about this more, I promise.

  • Dominik nods

[Fredericia] We're in this together.

  • Fredericia takes your hand and gives it a squeeze.
  • Dominik will squeeze it back

[Dominik] So, I think we were looking for a Warlord or some drinks

[Fredericia] Yeah, excellent idea.

[Diablotin_Narrator] You start making your way back to the Hall of Worthies... Suddenly, there is an explosion larger than any of the fireworks so far.

[Fredericia] Shit! What was that?

  • Fredericia gets on tiptoes to try and see what's going on.

[Dominik] Accident at the fireworks staging site?

[Fredericia] Maybe :o

  • Dominik uses his height to his advantage to look and try and see

[Diablotin_Narrator] You look, and despite the darkness, you can see that the bridge is collapsing. The lights of carriages sliding into the water, and the screaming, give it away.

[Dominik] BY THE VOID AND THE SEVEN THE BRIDGE IS COLLAPSING!!

[Fredericia] What?!

[Fredericia] Let me see!

  • Fredericia runs to the river's edge, or as near as she can get.
  • Dominik helps her to a better advantage if needed

[Fredericia] Fuck, fucking void... Can you swim?

  • Dominik nods
  • Dominik starts stripping off the heavy armor
  • Fredericia is as well.
  • Fredericia wades into the river, starting to swim when it gets deep enough.
  • Dominik races after her once he's unencumbered
  • Fredericia works frantically to try and help fish people out.
  • Dominik puts as much effort as he can
  • Fredericia is a good swimmer too, fortunately.

[Diablotin_Narrator] You work until your limbs feel like rubber, swimming back and forth. Many people are trapped in their carriages, or swept downriver before you can help them, but you save the ones you can.

  • Fredericia pulls herself up onto the bank finally, and just lies there.

[Fredericia] I can't... there's nothing left.

  • Fredericia says between gasps.
  • Dominik rolls out of the water and lays cold on his back

[Dominik] We... got... who... we could...

  • Dominik breaths deeply

[Fredericia] Yeah.

[Dominik] going alone likely end up a victim

  • Fredericia nods.

[Dominik] my family...

[Fredericia] Mine too.. I don't know...

[Dominik] our families...

  • Dominik wills himself up

[Dominik] Need to get ourselves warm.

  • Fredericia struggles to her feet as well. She's soaked, and muddy, and looks like death warmed over.

[Fredericia] Shit... our stuff. I'll end up paying the treasury back for that -_-

[Dominik] nice look for you... complain to Nash... blame demon

[Fredericia] heh.

[Fredericia] You don't look so great yourself :p

  • Dominik is just in breaches covered in dirt
  • Fredericia is in her bloomers and an undershirt, as that's probably all she had on under her armor.

[Dominik] Bah... shining perfection of nobility here

[Fredericia] They can do a picture for the papers.

[Dominik] Best thing they ever published... damn straight

  • Dominik will wrap an arm around Fredericia
  • Fredericia lets you.

[Fredericia] The Warlord can wait until tomorrow. She's probably busy right now anyway.

  • Dominik nods

[Fredericia] ...

[Dominik] Tomorrow is going to be a bad day...

  • Fredericia nods, looking up at you uncertainly.

[Fredericia] Worse than today?

[Dominik] Today is bad, tomorrow we learn how bad... lets get you someplace warm.

[Dominik] We know we did what we could.

  • Fredericia nods, trying not to cry.

[Fredericia] Come on, we can go to the palace. If they don't recognize me and let us in, I'll yell at them until they do.

[Dominik] I'm sure they'll recognize that

  • Fredericia nods.

[Dominik] [q] until we know for sure, our families are safe, we have to hope that.

  • Fredericia walks through the streets in her bare feet, dripping muddy water along the way, until you reach the palace. She throws her weight around and gets you let in.

[Fredericia] My aunt's quarters... if she's there, maybe she knows what happened, who else is safe...

  • Dominik nods and lets Fredericia direct them as they help eachother through the palace
  • Fredericia knows her way.
  • Fredericia 's aunt isn't there, however at least there's a warm fire and blankets and so on.

[Fredericia] [q] Shit. I ... I don't know why I thought she'd be here, she's probably busy... still.

[Dominik] [q] worry about that later... we need to get warm

  • Fredericia nods.

[Fredericia] Get into bed - under the blankets. I trust you :p

  • Dominik nods
  • Dominik will slip off the wet clothes and get in the bed
  • Fredericia does the same.

[Dominik] (peel of would be a better word)

[Fredericia] (heh, yeah... probably pretty sticky)

  • Fredericia curls up against you, her back to your stomach.
  • Dominik wraps his arms around her and likely quickly falls asleep, in the comfortable warmth
  • Fredericia does as well.
  • Fredericia stirs sometime around dawn, and disentangles herself from your arm.

[Fredericia] ...

  • Dominik stirs, old insticts firing

[Dominik] ... where?

[Fredericia] Um... palace, my aunt's bedroom...

[Dominik] right... the bridge...

[Fredericia] Yeah...

[Fredericia] She hasn't come back all night. I hope that just means she's busy :/

[Dominik] I hope so too

[Dominik] I... should... you probably... want to check

  • Dominik rambles

[Fredericia] ...I don't have any clothes here.

  • Fredericia points out.

[Fredericia] I can't go wandering around the palace in my underwear. Again.

[Fredericia] -_-

[Dominik] Your aunt probable has a robe or something.

  • Fredericia nods.

[Fredericia] What about you, though?

[Dominik] robes are fashonable for men, right?

[Fredericia] heh.

[Dominik] I have a locker in the palace... I keep a few things there

  • Fredericia nods.

[Fredericia] this is...surprisingly unawkward.

[Dominik] uh yeah...

[Fredericia] well, ok, maybe not?

  • Dominik smiles

[Fredericia] maybe we're just really good at pretending.

[Dominik] or just trying to be respectful?

[Fredericia] Oh fuck respectful. We know each other too well for that.

[Dominik] right

  • Dominik kisses her
  • Fredericia kisses back.

[Fredericia] ... You smell like crusted-on river mud, and so do I..

[Fredericia] But other than that, that was ... nice :)

  • Dominik nods

[Dominik] Id have to agree...

[Fredericia] Fortunately, there's a bath.

[Dominik] all these palace ammenities

  • Dominik smiles

[Fredericia] Cushy, isn't it :)

  • Fredericia invites you to join her in the bath, then.
  • Dominik will do so

Ysabeau and Martan

  • Ysabeau seeks Martan out.
  • Martan seems pleased to see you.

[Martan] Did you have many more fascinating invitations? :)

[Ysabeau] Twenty-three now, and most of them are old or married.

  • Martan grins at that.

[Ysabeau] No one quite so pleasant or interesting as yourself.

  • Ysabeau makes a moue of disappointment, followed swiftly by a smile.

[Martan] I'm flattered - surely those who are old and married must have a wealth of fascinating stories and experiences to share ;)

[Ysabeau] Possibly. But I'm not sure how much talking they had in mind.

[Martan] Sadly, you're probably right.

[Ysabeau] So, if your offer still stands? It's entirely possible *you* have found someone infinitely more interesting.

[Martan] I, on the other hand, would love to talk with you. And I haven't found anyone who interests me more in quite some time.

[Ysabeau] It is my turn to be flattered.

  • Martan offers you his arm.

[Martan] Shall we depart, then?

  • Ysabeau slips her hand over his forearm.

[Ysabeau] Indeed.

  • Ysabeau smiles up at him.

[Ysabeau] Did you have some place in mind?

[Martan] I did - if that's all right with you.

[Ysabeau] I will let you know once I know what this place is. ;)

[Martan] A little place called Lumière - is that to your liking?

[Ysabeau] (Have I heard of it? City Lore if necessary)

[Martan] (It's small and fancy, and in Rhenea. You don't know too much more about it than that.)

[Ysabeau] I've never been. But I do like new things.

[Martan] I hope you'll enjoy it, then.

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] The company will more than make up for any conceivable shortcomings, of which I am sure there are none. ;)

  • Martan escorts you to his open carriage, which he drives himself, taking the north bridge off the island into the Castalia, and then into Rhenea.
  • Ysabeau asks if she can try driving the horses, as she never has. ;D

[Martan] Of course.

[Ysabeau] How do I do it?

  • Martan hands you the reins, giving you a few pointers but mostly letting you get the feel for it yourself.
  • Ysabeau does her best not to convey any anxiety to the horses.

[Ysabeau] Ah, like so!

  • Ysabeau is pleased when she gets them to navigate a corner without mishap.

[Martan] Good, that's right :)

[Ysabeau] My father was a carter, after we left Greywatch and came here.

  • Martan lets you know when you have to turn to get to the restaurant.

[Martan] Oh?

  • Ysabeau notes, conversationally.
  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] He made deliveries for the textile factory where my mother worked.

  • Martan nods, listening.

[Ysabeau] I don't think he liked it very much, though... he meant to try to work his way back into his trade.

[Martan] What was that?

[Ysabeau] Upholstery. He used to make fine furnishings for the Duke's trains.

[Ysabeau] Well, finish them, anyway. ;)

  • Martan smiles at that.

[Martan] I've ridden in those trains - he did a marvellous job, they're very comfortable.

[Ysabeau] Oh, that would have been ten years ago or more. Do you think any of my father's seats would still be in use?

[Ysabeau] I admit I have never been on a train, and therefore cannot imagine what sort of wear and tear they accumulate.

[Martan] Well, I rode them ten years ago or more, but they could well be. I can't imagine tossing them aside simply because they got a bit worn - they'd repair them first, surely.

[Ysabeau] I think I'll give these back to you, now. The streets are getting narrow.

[Martan] Things as well-made as that would endure, I'm sure.

  • Martan takes the reins.
  • Ysabeau smiles and hands the reins back to him.

[Martan] We're nearly there in any case.

  • Martan draws up outside a small but brightly-lit building.
  • Martan jumps down, hands the reins to the valet parking guy, then offers you his hand to help you down as well.
  • Ysabeau looks at the warmly lit building.

[Ysabeau] Appropriately named.

  • Ysabeau murmurs.
  • Ysabeau alights from the carriage while Martan's horses are being tied to the hitching post.
  • Ysabeau lets one sniff her hand and then rubs its neck.
  • Martan holds the door for you.

[Ysabeau] Thank you.

[Martan] You're welcome.

  • Ysabeau looks around once we're inside, sparing some quick smiles for Martan.
  • Martan seems to be known here, and you are promptly taken to a table for two, tucked in a cosy nook for a bit of privacy.

[Ysabeau] You're well-known here?

[Ysabeau] Probably brought lots of young ladies to this very corner.

  • Ysabeau teases.
  • Martan chuckles.

[Martan] Well if so, I'm lucky the staff are discreet ;)

  • Ysabeau laughs quietly so as not to draw too much attention to their corner. ;)

[Ysabeau] So, are you more comfortable in the city now?

[Martan] Well, finding places like this helps - places where I can be out, but still out of sight to a certain extent.

[Ysabeau] Out of sight? You don't strike me as quite *so* shy.

[Martan] Not shy, no... but no one enjoys being gawked at, do they?

[Ysabeau] No, I suppose not.

[Martan] Everyone's decided I'll be the next Lord Grey - I don't even know if that's true or not, but it doesn't stop them talking.

[Ysabeau] Oh...

[Ysabeau] Are you even interested in that line of work?

[Martan] I wouldn't mind. It's certainly a challenge. But I do resent, just a little, having it decided for me ;)

[Ysabeau] Well... in that regard I suppose you aren't so different from many other young people.

[Ysabeau] I guess I am one of the lucky ones. No one decides anything for me but myself.

  • Martan nods.

[Martan] You've done remarkably well for yourself, too, it seems. Premieres in front of the Imperial elite! :)

[Ysabeau] Well, the gods blessed me with talent, and life has blessed me with many wonderful people. I can't take all the credit.

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Martan] And so modest, too! :)

[Ysabeau] It's not modesty, really. It's just the truth.

  • Ysabeau shrugs.

[Martan] I'm only teasing. I think we both know we wouldn't be where we are today without the help of many others.

  • Martan orders a bottle of wine, and suggests letting the chef surprise you with the meal.

[Ysabeau] Sounds marvelous! I do enjoy surprises.

[Ysabeau] So, where did you live when you were in Greywatch? I grew up in Val des Fentes.

[Martan] As did I. Well, my foster-parents travelled around sometimes, but that was where our home was.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] How old are you, if you don't mind my asking?

  • Ysabeau has had a sudden thought.

[Martan] Twenty-eight - just turned.

[Ysabeau] Oh, we wouldn't have been at school at the same time, then. Supposing you even went to the public school.

[Ysabeau] I suppose you might have had tutors. :)

[Martan] I didn't go to the school, no.

[Martan] I always rather envied the children who did - it seemed fun, at least from my perspective.

[Ysabeau] I loved it.

  • Martan smiles.

[Ysabeau] I wouldn't have done so well for myself if my early years hadn't been in Greywatch. I owe a lot to being able to read and write, and other basic skills like that.

  • Martan nods.

[Ysabeau] I wish there were schools like that everywhere.

[Martan] Perhaps one day there will be.

  • Martan pours you some wine.

[Ysabeau] Thank you.

[Ysabeau] I really miss the mountains.

[Ysabeau] I remember the days seemed so much shorter because they were so tall.

[Martan] There's a quality to the air there that I miss most. A sort of cold freshness :)

[Ysabeau] We were in shadow for half the time the sun was up! Or so it seemed to me, anyway.

[Ysabeau] Oh yes, the air was lovely.

[Ysabeau] And especially when all the wildflowers were in bloom! Everywhere smelled like perfume.

  • Martan nods.

[Martan] You'll make me thoroughly homesick ;)

[Ysabeau] Oh, I'm sorry.

  • Ysabeau looks chagrined.

[Martan] No, please, don't stop.

  • Ysabeau laughs.

[Ysabeau] I *am* thoroughly homesick.

[Ysabeau] I haven't seen it in going on ten years, now...

[Martan] I try not to think about it, I suppose.

[Ysabeau] Oh, whyever not?

[Martan] Because it makes it worse?

[Ysabeau] I can't stop thinking of it. I remember all those days with such warmth, even though I know they can't possibly all have been so idyllic.

  • Martan nods.

[Ysabeau] My happiest memories are from Val des Fentes.

[Martan] Do you plan to go back there one day?

[Ysabeau] I'd like to, for a visit at least.

[Ysabeau] But I'm a little afraid. It's been so long; I know it must have changed since we lived there.

[Ysabeau] I sometimes worry that it wouldn't match up with my memories anymore, you know?

[Martan] Probably. But you might enjoy finding the things that are the same.

[Ysabeau] True. True.

  • Ysabeau will ask him about some of the people she vaguely remembers, like bakers and such whom her parents would have bought from.
  • Martan remembers some of them as well, and can update you on what's happened with them.
  • Ysabeau listens with rapt attention and asks lots of questions about them and the town and all. :)
  • Martan quiets when the food is served - fish with a light lemony sauce, tiny new peas and fresh bread.

[Ysabeau] (Quiet because he's eating, or something's eating him? ;) )

[Martan] (possibly both)

[Ysabeau] This is delicious...

[Ysabeau] Are you all right, M. Olivier?

[Ysabeau] I hope I haven't upset you with all my talk...

[Martan] No, not at all, I'm fine, thank you. I just... well, I suddenly feel a little nervous with you, that's all :)

[Ysabeau] With me? Really? Why? I'm harmless.

  • Ysabeau smiles warmly.

[Martan] I know, foolish of me, really.

[Ysabeau] It is, rather.

  • Ysabeau smiles to take the sting out of the words.

[Martan] But I like you, Ysabeau. Quite a lot. And I just... don't want to mess things up.

  • Ysabeau smiles, looks down a little nervously herself. She's heard *those* words before...

[Ysabeau] Well. Just be yourself. That's the best advice I can give.

[Martan] Heh, I can try.

[Ysabeau] You'd have to do something seriously awful before you could mess anything up with me.

[Martan] Oh? That's a relief :)

[Martan] I'll try to avoid anything awful.

  • Martan and you are finishing up your meals, lingering over wine, when word arrives about the bridge collapse...
  • Ysabeau looks quite shocked and alarmed.
  • Martan does as well.

[Ysabeau] Oh, those poor people!

[Ysabeau] We have to go! See if there's anything we can do to help!

[Martan] Of course. Is there anyone you need to check on, to see if they're safe, or should we go straight there?

[Ysabeau] I should drop by my house, check on my sister. She might want to help, too - she's in training for the priesthood. I could get Rye, he could help find people who may have washed downstream.

[Ysabeau] But we must go as quickly as possible!

  • Martan will pay the bill so you can leave, then.
  • Ysabeau was already pulling her own purse out (hey what did Marl pay me, anyway? ;) )

[Martan] (nothing yet - would be crass to pay you right there ;)

  • Martan looks momentarily dazed and a bit distant as you get into the carriage.
  • Ysabeau will toss some coins down on the table for a tip. The place was lovely and the food delicious.
  • Ysabeau glances at him sharply.
  • Martan shakes his head as if to clear it.

[Ysabeau] Are you all right? A message?

  • Ysabeau is used to spellcasters, being one herself.

[Martan] Yes... I'm ignoring it. He knows I'm safe, he doesn't need me in front of him.

[Ysabeau] Lord Grey?

  • Martan nods briefly.
  • Ysabeau smiles.
  • Martan will drive to the Eagle Bridge, which is jammed with people trying to get across.

[Ysabeau] (Which bridge collapsed? The north one or one of the south ones?)

[Martan] (the one between the island and the Grand)

[Ysabeau] (So my house is on the way, thankfully - in he Place D'Iena. I think?)

[Martan] (If you can get across the Eagle Bridge, sure - you're stuck on the wrong side of the river atm)

[Ysabeau] Go west? We could try the one into Pearl City, then cut through the Place D'Iena. That's where my house is, anyway.

[Martan] All right, we'll try it.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Martan] The Shadow Bridge is usually deserted anyway - I'm sure it will be easier to cross there.

[Ysabeau] Do you need directions? I am quite familiar with Pearl City.

  • Martan drives quickly through the darkened streets.

[Martan] I may if we have to go off the main roads, yes.

  • Ysabeau will do her best to help him as needed.
  • Martan was right, the Shadow Bridge, though busier than usual, is at least able to be crossed.
  • Martan asks your help with directions a few times, but manages to make it safely into the Place D'Iena, and take you to your house.
  • Ysabeau rushes in and calls for Murienne and Rye, explains the situation if Muri is there...

[Martan] (There is a note when you get there from Muri, saying that she went to help and took Rye)

  • Ysabeau runs back out to Martan.

[Ysabeau] They're there already.

[Ysabeau] Murienne is very mature for fourteen... I have to trust that she won't get into trouble...

[Martan] All right - should we take anything? Anything that might help? I don't know what will be needed...

[Ysabeau] I have very little healing magic but some first aid supplies might help. I grabbed my kit when I was inside.

[Ysabeau] Also my weapons, just in case...

  • Martan nods.

[Ysabeau] Do you have anything?

[Martan] I have a blade under the seat.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I don't think the bridge collapsed on its own, Martan...

[Martan] No?

  • Ysabeau shakes her head.

[Martan] What makes you think that?

[Ysabeau] There's a lot going on in this city, I'm afraid...

[Martan] That's true...

[Martan] (You can arrive at the site - having to leave the carriage some distance away and walk, probably - and help with relief efforts)

[Martan] (this will take as long as you want it too, more or less - there's probably always more you could do...)

  • Ysabeau gets busy trying to help with the survivors, help find people, whatever she can do to help!
  • Martan also pitches in to help.

[Martan] (You can also find Muri at some point, so you know she's also safe)

[Ysabeau] (Always with a fear for Murienne at the back of her mind; she spares a glance for Muri whenever she can.)

  • Ysabeau will not stop until she is too exhausted to be of any further use.

[Martan] Come on... sit down.

  • Martan says after several hours, when you're looking like you're fading.
  • Ysabeau gives Murienne a big hug and praises Rye for his efforts, too, when they find her, introduces her to Martan as quickly as possible.
  • Martan gives her a faint smile and nod.
  • Ysabeau glances wearily at Martan.

[Martan] There's not much we can do when we're this exhausted... we'll just be in the way.

  • Ysabeau nods reluctantly.

[Martan] Shall I take you home?

  • Ysabeau scans the scene... are things as under control as they can be at this point?

[Martan] (well, more or less - people immediately able to be rescued have been, now it's more.. recovery of bodies, etc.)

  • Ysabeau nods wearily once more.

[Ysabeau] I'm sorry. When our parents died in the fire, there was no one for my sister and I. I couldn't let that happen to anyone else, not if there was anything I could do...

[Martan] You don't have anything to apologize for. It was the right thing to do.

[Ysabeau] We should try to find Murienne again; she must be exhausted, too.

[Martan] (You can find her - she's with a group of other priests and trainee-priests, and seems inclined to stay the rest of the night if necessary)

[Ysabeau] All right... do you want to keep Rye with you, or should I take him home?

[Martan] (she'll keep him, if that's all right)

  • Ysabeau gives Murienne a big hug and kisses her forehead and tells her how proud she is of Murienne.

[Ysabeau] Please be careful, sweetie.

  • Ysabeau turns back to Martan.
  • Martan is waiting patiently, but looking pretty exhausted himself.

[Ysabeau] I guess she'll stay here. She's in good hands, with the Church...

[Ysabeau] Let's go.

  • Martan nods.
  • Martan will take you home, then.
  • Ysabeau is quiet for much of the ride... maybe even drifting off?

[Martan] This wasn't how I expected this evening to go...

  • Martan says, half to himself.

[Ysabeau] Life is very good at confounding a person...

  • Ysabeau agrees; apparently, she is not asleep.
  • Martan nods.

[Ysabeau] What were you expecting?

  • Ysabeau asks curiously.
  • Martan glances at you.

[Martan] More conversation... more drinks... more... of you.

[Ysabeau] (SM... was he pretty much counting on getting in my pants when he invited me to dinner?)

[Martan] (you can roll)

[Ysabeau] (35)

  • Martan seems not to have expected that, but just more of your delightful company.

[Martan] But I think seeing you this way is... almost better, in a way, despite how terrible it all is. To see what you're like when things go wrong.

  • Ysabeau gives him a sidelong glance.

[Ysabeau] Really? You have met me all of twice, failed to respond to my notes and...?

[Martan] I didn't know what to say.

  • Martan sounds weary.

[Ysabeau] I had better warn you: one way you might do something truly awful is by not being honest with me.

  • Martan glances at you.

[Martan] I'm not usually good with women, Ysabeau. And that's completely honest on my part.

[Ysabeau] (is it?)

[Martan] (you don't think he's lying)

[Ysabeau] [q] Which makes things difficult, if you are indeed going to be the next Lord Grey...

  • Ysabeau murmurs.

[Martan] Heh. I can pretend well enough, I suppose. But .. actually feeling something, that's different.

[Martan] And I have ... obligations. Involvements. That I wouldn't want to drag you into if you weren't ... if it wasn't worth both of our times, do you see what I mean?

[Ysabeau] I'm tired, Mar - M. Olivier. Martan. Too tired to think straight. I can't make you any promises; I find myself re-evaluating what it is that I want out of life these past few weeks, and I have yet to draw any conclusions.

  • Martan nods.

[Ysabeau] But you're in luck if what you want right now is more of me, because I find that for tonight, I do not wish to be alone.

[Martan] I'm not expecting any promises, rest assured. Not expecting anything at all.

[Martan] ...

[Martan] Good. Neither do I.

  • Martan takes you home, then.

[Ysabeau] (My home or his? ;) )

[Martan] (whichever you want)

[Ysabeau] (His home is Lord Grey's, isn't it? That could be awkward.)

[Martan] (could be, but he seems willing to deal with it if you don't want to go to your place ;)

[Ysabeau] (My place is easier to get to right now.)

[Ysabeau] (I think.)

[Martan] (sure, that's fine)

[Martan] (you were on your way there anyway, you'd have to turn around and go back to the Grand otherwise ;)

[Ysabeau] (yeah)

[Martan] (add an extra half hour before you're naked, more likely to fall asleep ;)

[Ysabeau] (I'm not sure how energetic either of us is, anyway? ;) )

[Martan] (probably not exceedingly... I think Heather's theory of cuddling + more fun in the morning might be right)

[Ysabeau] (Ysa won't skimp if they do get up to fun stuff later in the morning... she has her pride, even if it is no longer professional pride.)

[Martan] (heh)

Guillame and Aden

  • Aden is exhausted by the time you leave the scene, but keeping himself together for you.

[Guillame] (Would I have been able to tell using scent whether the smoke smell was phelix, or at least plausibly phelix?)

[Aden] (you can make a check)

  • Guillame rolls 1d20+5: (14)+ 5 = 19

[Aden] (you can't be sure, alas)

[Guillame] (kk)

[Aden] (it could be, but could also be smoke from the fireworks, say)

[Guillame] (Ok, so he's not ruled out?)

[Aden] (not ruled out, no)

[Guillame] There must be something else we could be doing...

[Aden] (have you mentioned the rat to Aden?)

[Guillame] (no)

[Aden] (ok)

[Aden] (so it's just hanging out in your pocket?)

[Guillame] (So long as it's happy there)

[Aden] (seems to be)

[Aden] I don't know, Guy... the guards will do what they can, and we'll do more tomorrow, but we should try to rest now, if we can.

[Guillame] Hrm... I suppose so.

  • Aden gets into the carriage. It's the middle of the night by this time.
  • Guillame gets in too

[Guillame] Would it be stupid to stay at home tonight?

[Aden] At your house?

[Guillame] Yeah

[Aden] ...Maybe. I'm not sure. If this was targeted against you... then it might be better to be in the palace. But if it wasn't, then I don't know why being at your house would be worse than being anywhere else.

[Aden] If that's where you want to be, then we'll go there.

[Guillame] I guess... the castle is probably better. I need to talk to you about something when we get there though, before anything else.

[Aden] Of course.

  • Aden keeps quiet on the ride, unless you want to talk.
  • Guillame will probably also keep quiet.
  • Aden waits for you to raise whatever it is you need to talk about, then.

[Guillame] (When we get back to his room)

[Guillame] Ok... I need to tell you a bit about my research, and... hum. And I need you to bear with me a bit, before you decide whether I'm crazy.

[Aden] All right...

[Guillame] So, something that I've discovered is that House Rat may have had, in the past, the ability to shapechange - into actual rats.

  • Aden listens.

[Aden] I had heard that, but I assumed it was just one of those things people say.

[Guillame] Which, incidentally, I have told to very few people, because *if* I tell anyone, it has the potential to be pretty damaging to the house in simple terms of validating slurs.

  • Guillame nods.
  • Aden nods.

[Guillame] So, that's actually true. I've seen someone do it. And they... did it to me, although I don't really know how that worked, or if I could ever do it myself.

[Aden] ...wow.

[Guillame] ... yeah.

[Guillame] It gets better.

[Aden] Ok...

[Guillame] There is another hereditary ability, much rarer. A sort of prescience. People with it used to be called Seers, and had a sort of rank, or social position among the undercity society.

[Guillame] It came with some side-effects - firstly, without the proper training, currently lost, it's difficult to live with.

[Guillame] It can send people mad.

[Aden] That... sounds troubling.

[Guillame] Secondly, there's a sort of physiological sign - a mismatched colouring of the eyes, quite distinctive.

[Guillame] I know two people alive today that have that gift, and you know one.

[Aden] Your sister?

  • Guillame nods

[Aden] Do you think that would have helped her escape?

[Guillame] Maybe. I think so, yes. I don't think my sister was kidnapped.

[Guillame] It seems to me like if they were trying to take someone alive from the carriage, there would have been more of a struggle...

  • Aden nods.

[Guillame] And... there's this, too.

  • Guillame takes the rat out of his pocket, if it'll come
  • Aden looks startled when it emerges.

[Guillame] So... all of that preamble was really to say that I'd like somewhere safe to keep this rat until we can work out if it's my sister, and she can turn human again if it is her.

[Aden] ... All right then.

[Guillame] It's possible that it's not, but... what rat lets you put it in your pocket?

[Aden] Good point.

[Aden] I must have a box around here somewhere, we could make a little nest for it in there.

[Guillame] That'd be great

  • Aden finds a hatbox and puts some flannels in the bottom.
  • Guillame goes to find some food and water to leave on a plate near the box

[Aden] (The rat seems satisfied with that, and will drink water and eat some food when it's provided.

[Aden] If it's her, maybe we should get a sorcerer to check her out. Maybe they can do something to help, or at least tell if it's really Silvia or not.

[Guillame] Well... if she hasn't turned back in the morning, I'll take her to some of my contacts.

[Guillame] If they can't help, then we'll try that, certainly.

[Aden] All right.

  • Guillame points out the rat's eyes to Aden

[Aden] That's... huh.

[Guillame] I'm always questioning my sanity at moments like this, but... there have been a lot of moments like this recently.

[Aden] I don't think you're crazy, if that helps.

[Guillame] That does help!

[Aden] Even if it's not something to do with some special Rat hereditary power, it could have been someone using magic on her to alter her form.

[Guillame] Yes, of course. It could be that.

  • Guillame doesn't look convinced, but does look a little relieved to have an alternate explanation.

[Aden] I don't know why they'd want to do that, but .... it's possible, at least.

[Aden] Guy, I have something I have to tell you too.

[Aden] I wanted to tell you earlier, but with everything... well, never mind. I can tell you now.

[Guillame] Well, it's comforting that you believe that my sister is a rat at the moment.

[Guillame] Ok?

  • Aden gives a faint smile at that.

[Aden] We ... well, I say 'we' but I really mean the Warlord... checked into Phelix Valtieras.

  • Guillame adjusts how he's sitting, to listen better.

[Aden] And are still checking, I should add.

  • Guillame nods

[Aden] But as far as concerns you, right now - he seems to be gone. Or at least, hasn't been to his place of residence or Thea's since they started the investigation.

[Aden] He could be hiding out somewhere, or just decided to get away for a while, and like I said, they're still looking.... but I figured you should know.

[Guillame] Yeah.

[Aden] It doesn't necessarily confirm what you suspect. But... it doesn't look great, either.

[Aden] Especially combined with what happened tonight.

[Guillame] I feel like this was him... I don't want to start a manhunt for someone innocent, but... I could smell smoke there.

[Guillame] It could have been him...

[Aden] It could have.

[Guillame] And then it's my fault.

[Aden] You can't look at it that way... you did what you believed was right.

  • Aden puts his hand on your arm.

[Guillame] I know, but... I could have been so much more careful. I should have checked whether he and Thea were close... I... oh, I don't know.

[Guillame] I guess if it's true, and if she finds out, she'll think it's her fault, and it's not, so maybe I'm just being dramatic. Hrm.

[Aden] Thea?

[Guillame] Yes.

[Aden] I don't know. They haven't seen her around either.

[Guillame] ...

[Aden] So I don't know if she's gone with him, or whether she's... still alive, even.

  • Guillame slumps down

[Guillame] I think... I guess I should sleep now.

[Aden] I'm so sorry, Guy...

[Guillame] Thanks...

  • Aden embraces you.
  • Guillame hugs him back, finally starting to cry.


Ysabeau and Martan in the morning

  • Ysabeau wakes up for the second time, nestled close against Martan.
  • Martan is still asleep.
  • Ysabeau watches him for a bit, wondering how events can transpire so quickly.
  • Martan stirs eventually, rolling closer to you.
  • Ysabeau kisses him gently on the forehead.

[Martan] Mnhnhh...?

[Martan] Morning. Again.

  • Ysabeau smiles.
  • Martan smiles drowsily.

[Ysabeau] Morning, again.

[Martan] Possibly afternoon? I'm not sure.

[Ysabeau] Still morning, I'm afraid.

  • Martan stretches.
  • Ysabeau stretches languorously as well.

[Martan] That's all right... morning means I don't have to leave too quickly.

[Martan] Unless you need me out, of course :)

  • Ysabeau smiles again.

[Ysabeau] Not yet, surely.

[Martan] Oh, good.

  • Martan kisses you.
  • Ysabeau is pleased to be kissed.

[Ysabeau] That was wonderful, Martan. Just what I needed. Thank you.

  • Martan smiles.

[Martan] I think I should be the one giving thanks, but I appreciate the compliment nevertheless.

[Ysabeau] Why shouldn't we both be thankful?

[Martan] All right, I agree to that.

  • Ysabeau snuggles up against him again, fitting herself to his body.
  • Martan is rather on the skinny side, not at all like Dom....
  • Ysabeau can find something to appreciate in all body types. ;)
  • Martan wraps an arm around you as you cozy up.

[Ysabeau] Any thoughts about breakfast?

  • Ysabeau isn't really hungry but feels the need to play the hostess. ;)

[Martan] Only that I'd like some. I'm famished.

[Ysabeau] Oh, all right.

  • Ysabeau kind of regrets asking. She pulls herself away from him reluctantly.

[Martan] If you tell me where, I can find it myself - I'd hate to make you get dressed unnecessarily ;)

[Ysabeau] Don't even think of it! What kind of hostess would I be, making my guest find his own breakfast?

  • Martan chuckles.

[Martan] The kind of hostess who looks particularly lovely without clothing ;)

  • Ysabeau smiles and lays her hand on his cheek affectionately.

[Ysabeau] If I didn't share my house with my sister, I'd shamelessly cook in the nude.

  • Ysabeau teases.

[Ysabeau] With an apron.

[Martan] What, and risk burning anything important? That would be a disaster!

[Martan] Ah, an apron. Well, that might be acceptable.

  • Ysabeau 's torso does still bear some marks of past violence. A burn scar wouldn't really look out of place, actually...
  • Ysabeau stretches and clambers out of bed, going over to her bureau. She really is quite comfortable in her own skin, it seems.

[Ysabeau] Oh...!

  • Martan watches with obvious enjoyment.

[Martan] mm?

  • Ysabeau appears to have had a sudden thought, and opens a drawer, pulling out a little... frame of some sort?
  • Ysabeau smiles mischievously and almost jumps back on to the bed, giving Martan some close scrutiny, and glancing down at the frame.

[Martan] What's that?

[Ysabeau] Remember when we met at the wedding?

  • Martan sits up on one elbow.

[Martan] Of course.

[Ysabeau] I asked if you were related to the Kizers, because you bore a striking resemblance to one of them. This is he.

  • Martan looks.

[Ysabeau] Since I seem to have you, somehow, in my bed, I figure I might as well see whether I was just imagining things.

  • Ysabeau turns the portrait so he can see.

[Martan] ...That's... remarkable.

[Martan] (Now that you can compare them directly, he's not a mirror image of the miniature, but there's an obvious resemblance...)

[Ysabeau] It is, isn't it?

[Ysabeau] But you aren't identical...

  • Ysabeau smiles warmly at him.

[Martan] No... nose is a little different, isn't it? And the hair, of course.

  • Martan runs a hand through his own, which has a tendency to stick up at odd angles.

[Martan] Where did you get this?

[Ysabeau] Oh, that's a long story...

[Martan] Just tell me he's not your grandfather or something.

[Martan] That would be ... weird.

  • Martan says with a slight smile.

[Ysabeau] I'm House Owl - the Kizers are Wolves.

[Martan] Of course...

[Martan] He looks so much like me :o

[Ysabeau] I know.

[Ysabeau] Maybe he's *your* grandfather.

[Ysabeau] Or great grandfather.

[Ysabeau] Those fashions are from a long time ago.

[Martan] ...maybe so. I don't know anything about my parents, or their parents...

[Ysabeau] His name was Martan, too.

[Martan] Ysabeau... there's something I need to tell you. If we're going to be honest.

  • Ysabeau bites her lip, knowing that there is something she can't be honest with him about.

[Martan] My name's not really Martan. Lord Grey picked it for me, as a cover.

[Martan] I suppose I'm not doing a very good job of keeping it, but it doesn't seem that important right now.

[Ysabeau] Well. Perhaps I should keep calling you Martan, then.

[Martan] That would probably be best... but I wanted you to know my real name, anyway.

  • Ysabeau lays a finger on his lips and regards him gravely.

[Ysabeau] It might be best for me not to know. If we're going to be honest...

[Martan] Why?

[Ysabeau] Oh, my dear...

[Ysabeau] The last thing I would have thought, this time yesterday, is that you'd be here, today.

[Ysabeau] There is something I stumbled across, because I knew the right people, because I was in the right place, at the right time.

[Martan] ...What is it?

  • Ysabeau looks troubled, trying to think of the right words.

[Ysabeau] This is a grief to me...

  • Martan takes your hand.

[Martan] Tell me. If you can't tell me whatever this is, then...

  • Martan shrugs.

[Ysabeau] I would tell you, I wish I could, but I fear it is not my place to do so. I'm sorry, Martan.

  • Ysabeau does look very unhappy.
  • Martan does as well.

[Ysabeau] I have no right to demand honesty from you, if I can't give it in return.

[Martan] What will happen, if you tell me whatever this is? Would it be so awful ?

[Ysabeau] I don't know, Martan. That's the trouble. I don't know.

[Martan] I'm willing to take whatever the consequences might be - but I understand if you aren't.

[Martan] I can't ask that of you... not if it might cause you problems.

[Ysabeau] [q] It's not myself I'm frightened for.

[Martan] ... that was why I couldn't bring myself to write back to you. Because I... I just have all these problems surrounding me, and dragging other people into them... it never works out.

  • Ysabeau smiles bittersweetly and smoothes your hair down.

[Ysabeau] I don't know where to go, from here.

[Martan] It looks like we have two choices.

[Martan] We can keep doing this, knowing that we're each keeping secrets from the other, and accepting that, or we can decide that's not acceptable, and stop.

[Martan] That's assuming the third option - being honest - is off the table.

[Ysabeau] I think that it must be, for now.

  • Ysabeau says carefully, and regretfully.

[Ysabeau] Of the remaining two, which do you prefer?

[Ysabeau] I like you, and I care about you and what happens to you. I would not wish to be shut out of your life.

  • Martan considers.

[Martan] I like you too. And I don't want anything bad to happen to you - especially not because of me.

[Martan] So I think it's best... as much as I don't want to... that we stop.

  • Martan looks unhappy.
  • Ysabeau sighs.

[Martan] ... was that the wrong answer?

  • Ysabeau shakes her head.

[Ysabeau] I don't think there is a right or wrong answer in this situation.

[Ysabeau] If that's what you think is best, then I accede to your wishes. With the proviso that we remain on speaking terms.

[Martan] I don't know. I mean - yes, of course, we can speak. But I don't know if it's what I think is best. I don't like any of the options.

[Martan] I just want to be someone else - someone who wouldn't have all this baggage, who'd be what you deserve.

[Martan] It would be so much easier.

  • Martan sighs.

[Ysabeau] Martan, if I can't be honest with you, who's to say *I* deserve *you*?

[Ysabeau] It's not really a question of who deserves whom.

[Martan] I don't understand what you know that could possibly be so awful...

[Martan] Or whose place you think it is to tell me.

[Ysabeau] I don't know whose place it is, either. Perhaps it is no one's. Perhaps it's something you would have to inquire about. Perhaps it's something you should forget.

[Martan] Inquire with who? You're the only person who seems to know... whatever it is.

[Ysabeau] Why did Lord Grey think it important that you go by a different name?

[Martan] So that people wouldn't know who I was... so that my foster-parents wouldn't be at any risk...

[Ysabeau] Why would your foster-parents be at risk?

[Martan] Because, moving into this role, anyone near me could be.

[Ysabeau] This role of possibly being the next Lord Grey?

  • Martan nods.

[Ysabeau] You told me you don't even know for sure that you are being groomed for that position.

[Ysabeau] Maybe there are other reasons for what Lord Grey has you doing.

[Martan] Maybe.

[Martan] You're saying this is something I need to ask him about?

[Ysabeau] I've only met the man once, and his brain was working far too fast for me to keep up.

[Martan] Yeah, he'll do that.

  • Martan says with a hint of a smile.

[Ysabeau] I think he cares for you, if that means anything.

  • Martan nods.

[Ysabeau] I'm sorry that I... That I am not a very good friend.

[Martan] Don't say that... :/

[Martan] We all have to do what we have to do.

  • Ysabeau reaches for her robe and slips it on.

[Martan] And with that, I think I have to leave.

  • Martan locates his clothing and starts getting dressed again.

[Ysabeau] Before you've had breakfast?

[Martan] ... I don't want to end this memory with an awkward breakfast. I'd rather leave it the way it is.

[Ysabeau] There's muffins, from yesterday's baking.

[Ysabeau] Let me pack you some, at the very least.

[Martan] ...

[Martan] All right.

  • Martan buttons his shirt.
  • Ysabeau smiles, watching you dress.
  • Ysabeau laughs, gently.

[Ysabeau] Your hair, it's all messed up again.

[Ysabeau] Here's my comb.

[Martan] It always does that... it was easier when it was long.

  • Martan will comb it down as best as he can.
  • Martan finishes getting ready to leave.
  • Ysabeau hugs her robe close.

[Ysabeau] Do you think he'll send people after me?

[Martan] Lord Grey? I think he's got more important things to worry about, no offense.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Martan] Thank you, Ysabeau. I'm glad we had one night together, anyway.

[Ysabeau] Maybe some time, there will be another.

[Martan] Maybe.

[Ysabeau] I'll go get those muffins for you.

  • Martan nods.
  • Martan waits by the door, coat and hat on.
  • Ysabeau emerges from the kitchen, gives him a covered basket.

[Ysabeau] Please take care, my dear.

  • Martan nods.
  • Martan steps out the door, then turns back for a second.

[Martan] ... I would have told you everything I could. Anything.

  • Ysabeau impulsively moves forward to give him a kiss; he's short enough to do that, anyway.
  • Martan kisses back.
  • Martan leaves to go retrieve his carriage from the livery stable, then.

Alma and Danyel

  • Danyel is in the bath!
  • Alma leans back into him.

[Alma] I always wondered why this bath was so big.

[Danyel] Clearly it's for bathing dozens of children ;)

  • Alma smiles and lets out a sigh as the hot water melts away some of her tension.
  • Danyel rubs the back of your neck.

[Alma] What a day... oh... ooh...

[Alma] That... I like that.

[Danyel] Then I'll keep doing it.

[Danyel] It's the least I can do for the lady who saved my life.

[Alma] I'm sure you'd have swam to safety, my big strong masseur.

[Danyel] ...maybe.

  • Alma isn't sure what to say or think... and looks a little conflicted.

[Danyel] Things like this... they remind me that we don't necessarily get all the time we want.

  • Alma strokes her hands along Danyel's legs affectionately, since cuddling is less of an option while you're getting a neckrub.

[Danyel] So many people, just gone. We could have been among them, if we'd been a little further forward.

[Alma] (Explosion?)

[Danyel] (yeah)

[Alma] So senseless.

[Danyel] I hate things I can't fight. If it was an opponent I could face... and I failed, then at least... it would have been something, anyway.

[Alma] I know what you mean...

[Alma] Owl has blessed me with so many gifts to help people, but I still couldn't make *time*.

  • Danyel nods.

[Alma] I feel so stupid.

[Danyel] Don't... it's not as if you could have known.

[Alma] But I *should* have known you were in trouble. I wasn't paying attention. I thought, you'll be fine, we'll have to get out there and help.

[Alma] There I am flying out of the carriage like some stupid fairy.

[Danyel] ...

  • Alma 's eyes begin to well up.

[Alma] When I looked down and realised how stupid I'd been...

[Danyel] When you flew out, all I was thinking was "at least she'll be safe." It would have been a good thought, as far as last ones go.

[Alma] Don't you dare ever let yourself go that easily.

[Alma] I mean that.

  • Danyel wraps his arms around you.

[Danyel] I wouldn't have. You know I'd have done everything I could to stay with you.

[Alma] Well if I ever fly away from you like that, I wouldn't deserve it.

[Alma] That would take a real bitch.

  • Alma chuckles quietly.
  • Alma leans back into Danyel.
  • Danyel kisses the back of your neck.

[Danyel] Let's set a date for the wedding. Let's make it soon.

[Alma] How soon?

[Alma] Does your mother have everything arranged?

[Danyel] ... Tomorrow might be pushing it, hm?

[Alma] Yes, I expect the invitations might not have arrived by then :)

[Danyel] The only people who really need to be there are the two of us. And a priest, I suppose.

[Alma] Are you suggesting we ... elope?

[Danyel] What if we did?

[Alma] Would we tell everyone, or pretend?

[Danyel] I don't know... I haven't really thought this through, it's just something that popped into my head right now ;)

  • Alma smiles up at you.

[Alma] We could... if it would make you happiest. But we do have time.

[Alma] I think your mother would be sad if her son didn't get a big fancy ceremony. :)

[Danyel] What if we don't have time, though? With everything that's going on... what if we don't.

  • Alma nods slightly, understanding his worry, but...

[Alma] I think life is always like that, though... even when the Empire is quiet, each life is unknown to us...

[Danyel] I know... I understand if you want to wait for the official ceremony and everything.

  • Alma turns so she can look up at him.

[Alma] I didn't want politics to rush things, and I don't think our mortality should either.

  • Danyel nods.

[Danyel] In my heart, I already know that I'm yours, and you're mine. If anything happened - to either of us - we'd have that, wouldn't we.

[Alma] It may just be a party, but why not have one... a beautiful one that we can cherish for the decades that will follow :)

  • Danyel smiles at that.
  • Alma squirms around in the bath so she's sitting facing him.
  • Alma takes your hands.

[Danyel] May it be so, Alma. I want that very much indeed.

[Alma] We can take a vow before the Gods anytime we please.

  • Danyel nods.

[Alma] If that's what will bring you comfort, we can do it right now, in the bath :)

  • Danyel smiles.

[Danyel] This will probably not be the story we tell the grand-children, will it.

[Alma] Depends on our mood :)

  • Danyel laughs.

[Alma] I, Sister Alma de Béziers, swear before Owl, before the Seven, that my heart belongs to you, Ser Danyel Rackley, and I'll let nothing keep me from swearing it again on our wedding day :)

[Danyel] Alma de Béziers, I love you with all my heart. I swear before all the Gods that I will always love you, and do everything I can to keep you safe. So that we can have all those decades together that you talked about, and the grandchildren that I talked about, and everything that goes into filling our lives together.

[Alma] Ohh ;_;

  • Alma reaches in to hug you and kiss you! ;_;
  • Danyel pulls you onto his lap with a splash, during the course of kissing.
  • Alma grins around your lips, her earlier anxiety replaced.

[Danyel] ...stay here, or take the time to get dried off and go to bed? ;)

[Alma] New places are like an adventure :)

  • Danyel inquires, out of some urgency.
  • Alma squirms a little, noticing the 'problem'

[Alma] You're in charge of keeping the water warm :)

[Danyel] I'll try... can't promise I won't get distracted.

  • Alma shakes her head... "We're going to be prunes!"
  • Alma proceeds to get naughty :3

Guillame, Alma and Silvia

  • Guillame goes looking for Alma when Aure can't help with his Sister-rat

[Alma] (Is this the day after, or the next day?)

[Guillame] (The afternoon of the day after the explosion)

[Alma] ('k)

  • Alma's home address is probably something a gentleman of your stature can acquire from the Society or the Nine Elms church.

[Guillame] (I'd look for you at the Church first, so I guess I'll come to you from there)

  • Alma is taking an afternoon break from service and helping out with any leftover relief efforts, as well as taking care of to-do lists.
  • Alma will have Marielle send you in immediately.

[Alma] Good afternoon M. Rionet, I am quite surprised to see you... I was just about to send over a message to your residence requesting we meet!

[Alma] Have a seat. Tea?

[Guillame] Hrm, no tea for now, thank you. Maybe later.

  • Alma nods to Marielle, who steps out.

[Alma] Is this about that man, Phelix?

[Guillame] Maybe, sort of.

[Guillame] Not directly.

  • Alma takes stock of you discreetly

[Alma] (Are you visibly upset?)

[Guillame] (Less so than yesterday, but plainly shaken and not particularly cheerful)

[Alma] Is everything alright?

[Guillame] Not really, to tell the truth. My family were... attacked, during the chaos. I think they might have been the target.

[Alma] Oh no!

[Alma] H- how are they?

[Guillame] Only Silvia survived. I think.

  • Alma stands.

[Alma] That's awful... I'm very sorry... Guillame.

[Alma] If there is anything at all I can do to help... whether as a priest of Owl, or ... my visions.

[Guillame] I know... I. I came to you because I thought that maybe you can help Silvia...

[Alma] Is she hurt?

[Guillame] Can I ask you to keep my confidence about it?

[Alma] Yes, anything necessary to help her.

[Guillame] She was shapechanged. But it's possible that she was able to do it to herself, to escape.

[Guillame] Either way, she doesn't seem to be able to turn back.

[Alma] Oh :o

  • Guillame takes ?Silvia? out of his pocket.

[Alma] Oh goodness...

[Alma] .oO( Oh let him not have lost his sense... )

[Alma] Well.

[Guillame] My research has previously proven that members of House Rat used to be able to take the shape of a rat. My sister has previously shown herself to have... other powers, unique to our House.

[Alma] Oh?

[Guillame] It's still possible that I'm just grief-stricken, but... this rat is unusually friendly to me, and has my sister's rather distinctive eyes.

[Alma] I had heard such a suggestion...

  • Alma nods sympathetically.

[Alma] So you haven't been able to verify it?

[Guillame] Most 'suggestions' of my findings are slurs, I'm afraid, which is why I asked for your confidence.

[Alma] Well, I'm not sure I understand how that is a slur, exactly... there are records of some sort of changing form in some of the shamanistic tribes that the Church replaced, whether or not it was inherent or magical...

[Alma] Come, bring her into the library.

  • Alma pulls some books from the shelves and turns to the appropriate sections.

[Guillame] Well, I have a second opinion that agrees that it's probably her - a House Rat contact.

[Guillame] But nothing iron.

[Alma] Does she respond to language?

[Guillame] Yes... it seems like it.

[Alma] Well, there are a few spells that might be responsible, but if it was willing it would have expired by now, certainly.

[Alma] There is Baleful Polymorph, which is of permanent duration... *reads*

[Alma] So this would have happened last night...

[Guillame] Yes... I can give you an approximate time?

  • Guillame tells Alma roughly when
  • Alma nods

[Alma] Well, I will try to detect thoughts.

  • Alma will look at the Rat.

[Alma] Silvia, I am going to cast a spell which will try to listen to hear your thoughts. It is harmless, and I would like to you let the effect take hold, rather than fighting it off, if you *

  • Alma casts Detect Thoughts as unobtrusively as possible.

[Rat] :Help!:

[Alma] Is that you Silvia?

  • Guillame rolls 1d20+4: (8)+ 4 = 12

[Guillame] (Fail)

[Rat] :It's me!:

[Alma] Your brother will be very glad to know it for certain, dear.

  • Alma certainly looks relieved as well.

[Alma] Is this because of a spell cast upon you? An attack?

[Rat] :I'm not sure...:

[Guillame] (Guillame is indeed worrying a lot, and his thoughts are conflicted - you probably get much more detail than you'd like about the condition of his mother and other sister, and a few darker thoughts about revenge, murder and a sword called Calathangas)

[Alma] That's alright. If you weren't aware you could do this, I imagine you might not be able to tell the difference.

[Alma] (I guess I don't get your thoughts unless I pry. I reread :P)

[Guillame] (kk. Well, if you pry, that's what you'd get ;) )

[Alma] Do you know anyone among House Rat who can do this, either of you?

[Alma] I am more than willing to sit and try to help you focus, but perhaps someone who can do it would be best?

[Guillame] I took her to see the only person I know that can do it this morning...

  • Alma nods

[Alma] Well, I don't know of any magical solutions... .oO( At least none which aren't harmful. )

[Alma] But perhaps we could talk her through it, Guillame?

[Guillame] Maybe... he values his privacy, so it'd probably be best if I go and ask him, and either bring him here or fetch you if he's willing?

[Alma] Hm?

[Alma] I meant just us.

[Guillame] Oh... yes, I suppose. I don't really know... what to suggest.

[Guillame] It's definitely her?

[Alma] Well, she responds to Silvia. Do you have a question for her?

  • Alma looks back at the Rat

[Guillame] I... nothing that can't wait until she's... better. Tell her that I'm glad she wasn't... hurt.

[Alma] I believe she can understand you, isn't that right?

[Alma] I must have lost concentration.

  • Alma shakes her head at her stupid mistake.

[Alma] Well, let's first determine there's no magic on her.

  • Alma casts detect magic.

[Rat] (sec, looking something up)

[Rat] (ok - you detect magic on the rat, moderate strength. Spellcraft roll to identify the school)

[Alma] (34)

[Rat] (transmutation)

  • Alma frowns

[Alma] Definitely magic.

[Alma] I will attempt to dispel it.

  • Alma takes a breath
  • Alma casts Owl's Wisdom first, then Dispel Magic

[Alma] (23)

  • Silvia appears, naked and looking frightened.

[Alma] Oh, dear, I should have had them bring some clothing.

[Silvia] What happened?

  • Alma will stand and quickly get a blanket from a nearby chair.
  • Silvia clings to Guillame.
  • Guillame hugs her

[Guillame] Everything's going to be all right, Silvia.

[Silvia] Mother?

  • Alma will drape it over Silvia once she can.

[Guillame] Mother's... gone to a better place...

[Silvia] No...

[Alma] .oO( Was this cowardice or cruelty? )

  • Silvia cries.
  • Guillame hugs her again.

[Guillame] A... Alesia too.

[Silvia] It can't be true... it can't.

  • Alma holds the silver wheel hanging from her chest for support.

[Alma] I will get Marielle to bring some clothing.

  • Alma ducks out to find her.

[Guillame] I... it's not ok. But we're going to be... now.

  • Silvia just holds onto her brother and cries.
  • Guillame shuts up and just holds her.
  • Alma will return once arrangements have been made for Silvia to be able to leave with dignity.
  • Alma will deathwatch to make sure Silvia is healthy.
  • Silvia seems uninjured, though obviously very upset.
  • Alma will make sure they feel welcome to sit and stay until they are ready to leave, or talk again, and putter near the fringes.
  • Alma will accompany you out to the carriage (yours if you brought one, or if you didn't, she'll insist on calling for one.)
  • Alma will stop you just before you get in.

[Guillame] (I brought a horse)

[Alma] (Alma will insist it's no trouble to send the horse on later, if Sylvia would like privacy.)

  • Alma talks quietly so that Sylvia can't hear. "Would you like me to get in touch with the guard? I can... try to see what happened,

maybe see who did it."

[Guillame] (We'll take the carriage)

[Guillame] If you can help find out more than they can otherwise, then yes, absolutely. I'll let them know to expect you to assist.

[Guillame] Thank you for everything, Sister.

[Alma] I have a unique ability... so I will be in touch.

[Alma] You're absolutely welcome, M. Rionet. If I can help in any way, let me know.

[Guillame] Phelix might have been involved... there was a smell of smoke in the carriage.

[Guillame] It could have just been the fireworks, but... it could have been him.

[Alma] That was what I was going to ask, if anything came of him... I was on the bridge as it collapsed and thought the same thing later. What if it wasn't the fireworks?

[Alma] Not a worm, just a ... monster.

[Alma] I'll see what I can do.

[Guillame] Ok, Sister.

[Guillame] Be careful.

[Alma] You too.

  • Guillame takes Silvia home.

Sanadhil and Bessa

  • Bessa has given you her address, a nice little place in the Pav.
  • Sanadhil will drop by at the appointed time, possibly with some books or notes that may be of interest
  • Bessa welcomes you in.

[Sanadhil] Thank you - what a lovely place.

  • Sanadhil looks around briefly
  • Bessa 's home is decorated with rich colours, and she has quite a few bookshelves, and a moderately-cluttered desk.

[Bessa] Thank you :)

[Bessa] Can I offer you some tea, or anything else?

[Sanadhil] tea would be lovely, if it is no trouble.

[Bessa] Not at all!

  • Bessa makes a pot of tea for the two of you to share.
  • Sanadhil will peruse her shelves while she does :x

[Bessa] I hope Cynthea didn't put you off last time - she can be so ... unsubtle.

[Sanadhil] She is not the first of the type I've encountered.

[Bessa] Sometimes I think Phedre only let her in because she's ... well. I shouldn't be catty.

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] But now you've made me curious!

[Bessa] Because she's Boden's grand-daughter, and because she's ...accomodating.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I could see that.

[Bessa] Certainly not for any intellectual weight she might lend the endeavour.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I don't know her well enough to judge, but I will take your word on it.

[Sanadhil] What about the others?

[Bessa] What about them specifically?

[Sanadhil] Well, the only other meeting I have been to yet was Ilphere's induction

  • Bessa nods.

[Sanadhil] I don't know what kinds of contributions people have been making, I suppose?

[Bessa] Ahh, I see.

[Bessa] Well, quite a few of them are very well-connected, politically and socially-speaking, as I'm sure you can imagine.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] some were quite surprising on that front

[Bessa] For them, it is a simple matter to gain access to information that might not be publically-available, for instance.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Bessa] There are other scholars in the group as well - Loric is quite brilliant, for instance, if a little unfocused.

[Sanadhil] oh?

[Bessa] He was the last to be inducted, prior to your joining.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] How long have you been a member?

[Bessa] For just about two years now.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Bessa] It's been so... challenging, and fascinating.

[Sanadhil] I can well imagine

[Sanadhil] what led you to it?

[Bessa] Phedre learned of my work - she approached me with the invitation.

[Sanadhil] Your research on House Rat? Or were you already looking into The Serpent?

[Sanadhil] Although they are surely related...

  • Sanadhil muses
  • Bessa nods.

[Bessa] As much of my research challenges the accepted doctrines of the Way of the Wheel, it was perhaps inevitable.

  • Sanadhil nods as well

[Bessa] I would have come upon it sooner or later on my own, I suspect.

[Bessa] This has facilitated the process considerably, though. Phedre's own research is quite remarkable.

[Sanadhil] yes, absolutely.

[Sanadhil] I don't think she's given much credit in that regard

[Bessa] No... though she quite deliberately cultivates her chosen image to minimize that, I think.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Bessa] It's easier for authorities to dismiss her that way.

[Sanadhil] hmmm, yes

[Bessa] But she's travelled the Planes, she's seen things none of us have ever encountered... she's a remarkable woman, in my estimation. I certainly look up to her.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] And understandably - I'm honoured to have the opportunity to study with her.

  • Bessa smiles.

[Sanadhil] and to have been invited to join the group

[Bessa] I'm so glad you decided to!

  • Sanadhil smiles also - there is really no way to talk about Phedre without everythig turning into a double entendre

[Bessa] Politics is one thing, and it's very important of course - but I firmly believe that we need scholars if we're going to reach any kind of resolution in this matter.

[Sanadhil] absolutely

[Sanadhil] to that end - I really am quite interestd to hear about what you have been researching!

[Bessa] Oh, of course!

[Bessa] I'm sorry, here I am chattering on :)

[Bessa] Let me get my notes...

  • Bessa goes to her desk and retrieves a pile of paper.

[Sanadhil] well, it was pleasant enough chattering :)

  • Bessa smiles at that.

[Bessa] So, it was actually some of your own research that brought these thoughts to my mind.

[Sanadhil] oh?

[Bessa] The idea that, if we cannot repair the Arch, that we must instead destroy it.

  • Sanadhil tries to remember when he said that :o

[Bessa] Your research in Kholm... the previous Arch's destruction seems to have precipitated the ... creation? arrival? of this one.

[Sanadhil] ahhh, yes

[Bessa] So logically, if this one is likewise destroyed, perhaps a new one will form elsewhere.

[Bessa] The problem would be finding it, then.

[Sanadhil] that is possible - but look what happened in Kholm.

  • Bessa nods.

[Bessa] Yes... I'm afraid the group won't like this plan much.

  • Bessa says a bit regretfully.
  • Sanadhil nods throughfully
  • Sanadhil silent casts detect thoughts

[Sanadhil] (still/silent)

[Bessa] (dc?)

[Sanadhil] (20)

[Bessa] (presence of thinking mind... highest intelligence 21)

  • Bessa is thinking that the group might just reject it out-of-hand as too risky, etc.

[Sanadhil] It would certainly require more research

[Sanadhil] knowing just what happened in Kholm would be a start

[Bessa] Indeed - foremost, into a means of destruction! It's simply said, but not so simply done, I suspect.

[Sanadhil] quite.

[Bessa] This entity... Kavreshar?

  • Sanadhil nods

[Bessa] I wonder if it is capable of effecting the destruction.

[Bessa] If it was it, or something like it, that did so before.

[Sanadhil] its difficult to say - it has certainly been altered from its nature since that time

  • Bessa nods

[Bessa] And of course, controlling its destructive force would be near-impossible.

[Sanadhil] there is also the matter of tracking it down and ensuring any kind of ....reasonable cooperation

  • Bessa nods.

[Sanadhil] ys, precisely

  • Bessa leafs through her papers.

[Sanadhil] I have heard a very reasonable theory that it mya have gone a little mad itself, before it was unleashed

[Bessa] Well, that would not be surprising, I suppose.

[Bessa] For that matter, where was it for the previous two thousand years?

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I have been trying to find information on precisely that matter

[Bessa] I find it difficult to believe that, if it were free during that time, it would have simply remained uninvolved.

[Sanadhil] indeed

[Bessa] Therefore I conclude that it was imprisoned in some fashion, or otherwise prevented from interfering.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Bessa] Does the name...

  • Bessa checks her notes once more.

[Bessa] ...'Emkathon' mean anything to you?

  • Sanadhil thinks for a moment, and shakes his head

[Sanadhil] (does it have any notable linguistic roots even?)

[Bessa] Phedre asked me yesterday if I had heard of anyone or any creature by that name, but I hadn't.

[Bessa] (um... what languages do you have?)

[Sanadhil] (Aveyronnais, Cozovode, Draconic, Gravonian, Archaic Aveyronnais, Middle Aveyronnais, Infernal, Psyrene, Placensial, Shadar Kai)

[Bessa] (then no, not in any of those languages)

[Sanadhil] (okay)

[Sanadhil] did she say anything else about it?

[Bessa] That an entity by this name may have made some kind of pact with one of the founders of the Empire.

[Sanadhil] hmmm.

[Bessa] This may be dubious, though - her source was apparently a vision from Princess Ilphere, so...?

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Bessa looks to you to see how accurate you think that might be as a source.

[Sanadhil] It is worth further investigation.

[Sanadhil] ....Do you have acces to any of your grandfather's papers?

[Bessa] All right.

[Sanadhil] I know he experienced a vision of the founders, within the arch. Some of his academic writing on the subject was based on it.

[Bessa] I don't have them here or anything like that... but it would be reasonably easy for me to acccess them. I think most of his scholarly material went to Corwen Storms, who was his apprentice. Or are you interested in more personal papers?

[Sanadhil] Either - though personal papers may be of more use

[Bessa] Oh, yes - he talked to me about that.

[Sanadhil] he did?

[Bessa] Once...

[Sanadhil] what did he say?

[Sanadhil] I tried to research them - there are some tombs that are purported to belong to them, but they have never been thoroughly investigated

[Sanadhil] the information is so old, and records from that period are exceedingly sparse

[Bessa] Well, he gave me what I assume was probably an expurgated version of the events... and said that the founding was not like any of us imagined.

[Bessa] I believe he did further research into it, as far as he was able at least.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Bessa] I was quite young at the time, and didn't really have the knowledge to ask the right questions of him, alas.

[Sanadhil] ahh, alas.

[Sanadhil] do you know what happened to his research? I suppose that would have gone to Professor Storms?

[Bessa] Yes, perhaps. Or if it was deemed too sensitive, it could have been kept in the Imperial archives. Or destroyed, I suppose.

[Sanadhil] hmm

[Bessa] Accessing the Imperial archives is quite easy for us, fortunately :)

[Sanadhil] indeed!

[Bessa] I will try to ascertain where such material might be, if it still exists.

[Sanadhil] that could be helpful, though I'm sure Ilphere will be reserching the matter as well.

  • Bessa nods.

[Sanadhil] I can try to speak to professor Storms

[Bessa] That would be splendid.

[Sanadhil] I'm sure I can make a legitimate case, based on some of my ongoing research, at least

  • Bessa nods.

[Bessa] This is purely speculation on my part - but what if this 'pact', whatever it was, was the reason for Kavreshar's lengthy absence?

[Bessa] Some sort of bargain to protect the city... I don't know.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] its possible

  • Bessa ponders.

[Sanadhil] That would imply the pact was broken somehow...

[Bessa] It would...

[Sanadhil] I'll speak to Ilphere

[Bessa] I do not know if there was any further information contained in her dream, yes - it might be significant.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Bessa] If you learn anything further from her, will you let me know?

[Sanadhil] Of course :)

[Bessa] I am normally ... reluctant to trust information that comes from visionary sources, without outside confirmation.

[Sanadhil] it's not something I've encountered all that often

[Bessa] You may find you encounter it more often, in this group.

[Sanadhil] oh?

[Sanadhil] do other experience visions also?

  • Bessa nods.

[Sanadhil] of any significance?

[Bessa] Debateable?

[Bessa] Phedre is usually quite good about ensuring further research is done before any action is taken.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Bessa] Such as in the case of this... prophecy, I suppose you can call it.

[Sanadhil] Ilphere is quite skilled at the interpretation of these things - I think it is a matter of experience.

[Bessa] Yes, but frankly, I mistrust *any* of the possible sources of these insights. They are not without their own motives in these affairs.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Oh, absolutely.

[Bessa] To view visions from the gods as 'objective'... well, it is naive, at the very least.

[Sanadhil] but the more sources we have, the better the chances we have at corroborating any of it

  • Bessa nods.

[Sanadhil] and once we have the information, we can draw our own comclusions about how to use it

[Bessa] Indeed, yes.

Ysabeau and Sanadhil

  • Ysabeau spots Sanadhil at the Society one day...
  • Ysabeau hesitates before disturbing him in his studies.
  • Ysabeau clears her throat, a little anxiously.

[Ysabeau] M. Orecalo?

  • Sanadhil sighs and looks up from the book he is reading
  • Sanadhil starts very slightly, then smiles
  • Ysabeau tries to gauge why he is sighing. (SM?)

[Sanadhil] Good afternoon Mlle Chanuier.

[Ysabeau] (23)

[Sanadhil] (That was bad timing - you could tell he hdn't noticed you, and it happened prtty much as you spoke ;)

[Ysabeau] Good afternoon, Monsieur.

[Ysabeau] How are you? i hope you didn't lose any friends in the disaster.

[Sanadhil] I am well enough... and not so far as I am aware..

  • Sanadhil frowns slightly

[Sanadhil] I don't have many acquaintances in those circles.

[Ysabeau] Nonsense... many of the Society members are from 'those circles,' as are a number of Castalia scholars and many students.

  • Ysabeau smiles slightly.

[Sanadhil] I suppose you are right - but I haven't seen any familiar names in the lists that have been released, at any rate

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] What are you studying?

  • Ysabeau asks curiously, craning her neck to get a glimpse of what you're reading.

[Sanadhil] re-reading some early accounts of the founding by Loch Duchamp

  • Sanadhil pushes the volume towards you so you can see

[Sanadhil] And how are you?

  • Sanadhil smiles again

[Ysabeau] Oh- have you picked up on anything related to what we've been looking in to?

[Sanadhil] nothing new yet, I'm afraid

  • Ysabeau starts looking at the book, but stops when you ask that.

[Ysabeau] I'm - well, I suppose.

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Sanadhil] You suppose?

[Ysabeau] It's complicated.

[Ysabeau] Waiting to hear from someone.

  • Ysabeau offers by way of explanation, blushing slightly.

[Sanadhil] not M. Rademacher?

[Ysabeau] Oh... no.

  • Sanadhil just nods

[Sanadhil] Well, I hope it all works out for you.

  • Sanadhil says sincerely

[Ysabeau] Thank you.

[Ysabeau] The... the party was nice, until the bridge, wasn't it?

[Sanadhil] I was already gone by that time...

[Sanadhil] but it was pleasant, afater from the tragic aftermanth, yes.

[Sanadhil] Have you heard anything about it?

[Sanadhil] I admit, after the granary fires, and the Levelers riot, I'm somewhat suspiscious

[Ysabeau] Only what everyone else has heard.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ysabeau] I'm not convinced that it was accidental, though.

[Sanadhil] do you know why the other bridge was closed?

[Ysabeau] No. I guess you haven't heard anything either, then?

[Ysabeau] I also feel that the explosion may not have been as accidental as the papers would have us believe.

[Ysabeau] Of course, the writers probably have no reason to suspect a hellwyrm on the loose in the city, so I can't really blame them.

[Sanadhil] I heard there was a fight, but no details...

[Sanadhil] at the Bridge of vanities

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Well, I'll keep my ears open in case someone saw something.

[Sanadhil] I wonder if it was a distraction...

[Sanadhil] something to concentrate the flow of traffic

[Ysabeau] I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was.

[Ysabeau] Hellwyrms are supposed to be quite devious, I understand.

[Sanadhil] no, sadly

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ysabeau] M. Orecalo... what you said at the party. Are you really all right with the Warlord torturing a sentient being, even if they happen to be a demon?

[Sanadhil] Not particularly, no.

[Sanadhil] ...did I give that impression?

[Ysabeau] Not exactly. I wasn't sure what you were implying, to be honest.

[Ysabeau] Many people would be all right with it. The only justification they'd need is that demons are evil.

[Sanadhil] If she is looking to gain information from demons by torture.... I would rather know about it, at least.

[Sanadhil] but I don't think that it woudl be particularly effective.

[Ysabeau] I suppose it depends on what techniques she used. Holy water or similar might do the trick.

[Sanadhil] I don't thik it can compell them to be truthful

  • Sanadhil looks somewhat disapproving, in any case.

[Sanadhil] They woudl lie to save their skins

[Sanadhil] and if they didn't think that would work, they would lie for spite.

[Ysabeau] She suggested that she has rooms full of ways to make them speak. Ilphere mentioned magic circles.

[Ysabeau] Well, of 'sharing their information,' to be precise.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] there are ways around magical compulsion as well...

[Sanadhil] but with enough time and creativity she may be able to find something she might consider reliable

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Sanadhil] What is your interest in the affair?

[Ysabeau] Mostly to try to understand you a bit better.

[Sanadhil] Oh?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Sanadhil] Any success on that front?

  • Sanadhil smiles wryly.
  • Ysabeau shakes her head.

[Ysabeau] I don't know whether to be relieved, or to be even more wary of you, now.

[Sanadhil] Wary?

[Ysabeau] I know you've been associating with Earric.

[Ysabeau] You are an outsider, and a devoted researcher.

  • Sanadhil listens.

[Ysabeau] You keep a lot to yourself.

[Ysabeau] At least with Ilphere, I know she wouldn't want to see... how bad things could get.

  • Sanadhil arches an eyebrow

[Sanadhil] You think I would?

[Ysabeau] What assurance can you give me that you wouldn't?

[Sanadhil] I really have no idea what you might accept.

[Sanadhil] I can tell you that I certainly don't - though honestly I have no idea what you imagine a worst case scenario to be

[Ysabeau] Worst case? The razing of this city, the collapse of the Empire.

[Sanadhil] Well.

[Sanadhil] I have made my home here. I certainly don't plan to see it destroyed.

[Ysabeau] (SM)

[Ysabeau] (bleah, lie to me all you want, I'll drink it up)

[Ysabeau] That is reassuring.

[Sanadhil] (see, the diece don't love me either ;p)

[Ysabeau] I don't... like feeling this way, M. Orecalo.

  • Sanadhil is doing a less good job than you might have expected at hiding how offended/annoyed he is, but you don't think he is lying!

[Sanadhil] I'm sure its awful for you.

[Ysabeau] It is, so I won't apologize for bringing my concerns out into the open. But I will apologize for my weakness. I'm scared and overwhelmed. My life's work has, until recently, been to keep my sister alive and well. I don't want to see all that undone.

[Ysabeau] It's not just about her anymore, though...

[Ysabeau] I know that half the hellwyrm's danger is... how it can make friends doubt one another.

[Ysabeau] So I'm sorry for that, M. Orecalo.

[Sanadhil] I hadn't realized you'd had any contact with one, or indeed any true confimation that Kavreshar is in the city. Or perhaps its ability to cause the naive to cast aspersions on their associates is simply far more potent than I'd realized.

[Ysabeau] Whatever, M. Orecalo. Do you think a Regenerate spell would give Earric back his wings? Supposing you could find someone who'd cast it on him.

[Sanadhil] No.

  • Sanadhil says, cooly, and closes his book.

[Sanadhil] I'm sorry if its disapponting, but I find I am not in a particularly forthcoming mood.

[Sanadhil] Excuse me - Good day, mademoiselle.

  • Sanadhil picks up the volume and sweeps past

[Ysabeau] I deserve that. Good day, monsieur.

[Ysabeau] . o O (Not that you're EVER in a forthcoming mood.)

  • Ysabeau goes back to her own studies and tries not to dwell on his temper tantrum too much.

Ysabeau and Alma

  • Ysabeau has invited Alma to her house for tea, for a change.
  • Alma arrives promptly ^_^
  • Ysabeau is excited to have a distinguished guest at her very own home, and has spent the morning baking treats and making sure everything would be pleasant and relaxing.

[Ysabeau] Good afternoon, Sister! Do please come in.

[Alma] Good afternoon :) Thank you.

  • Ysabeau moves aside so Alma can pass through the doorway. Are you wearing any outdoor gear? She'll help you with it and hang it

like a proper hostess. (Or a servant).

  • Alma would have left it in the carriage probably, this time of year.

[Alma] I brought you a little something to share with Murienne. :)

  • Alma reveals a tin of assorted specialty chocolates or somesuch.

[Ysabeau] Oh, you needn't have!

[Alma] It's nothing :)

  • Ysabeau ushers you into the sitting room, which is nicely appointed for someone of her social station.
  • Alma looks about discreetly, taking in Ysabeau's tastes, style, etc.
  • Alma will sit where she seems directed to sit

[Ysabeau] (She has simple but elegant tastes, at least in here. The sitting room is very cosy and homelike.)

[Ysabeau] I'm glad you were able to come.

[Ysabeau] I know you've been very busy. Please, make yoursself comfortable while I go get the tea steeping.

[Alma] Oh, I thought it would be a great way to talk and stay relaxed :)

  • Alma sits in a chair that seems less "lived in" so as to avoid taking the favourite, if there is one.

[Ysabeau] (There are nice looking baked goods on the table, little snack plates and proper napkins so you don't get crumbs on your clothes.)

  • Alma will help herself to something *nibble nibble*
  • Ysabeau heads off towards the dining room and into the kitchen, where you can hear her making preparations. A cute mid-sized dog clicks into the sitting room and cocks its head at you before settling down in front of the unlit fireplace.

[Alma] You must be Rye.

  • Rye whuffles, perking his ears up, and comes over in response to your voice, plainly requesting to be petted.
  • Alma strokes down the friendly dog's back

[Ysabeau] Oh, I see you've made acquaintance with Rye already!

[Alma] Yes, he's a lovely dog.

  • Ysabeau sets down a tray with a cozy-covered teapot, sugar bowl, creamer and two teacups on saucers with tea spoons.
  • Alma gives him a final scratch on the top of his head and turns her attention back to Ysabeau

[Ysabeau] Thank you.

  • Ysabeau smiles proudly.
  • Ysabeau settles into the seat of the sofa that is nearest you, so neither of us have to raise our voices to speak across a distance.

[Ysabeau] It'll be a few minutes before the tea's ready.

[Alma] How have you been?

[Ysabeau] Well, thank you.

[Ysabeau] And you?

  • Ysabeau asks with maybe a little concern.

[Alma] I'm well...

[Ysabeau] (SM...)

[Alma] I'd be happier if we could mark a few things on our list as being finished :)

[Ysabeau] Oh, yes. Me too.

  • Ysabeau sighs, but seems maybe a bit less concerned.

[Alma] Did you hear about the Duchess of Coindeliere?

[Ysabeau] I did. Poor M. Rionet.

  • Ysabeau looks sad.
  • Alma nods.

[Ysabeau] Did you know her?

[Alma] No, I don't believe we'd met.

[Ysabeau] I was... was wondering if you'd lost any friends or family yourself.

[Ysabeau] I don't know about Dominik or Ilphere, either.

[Alma] M. Rionet did bring his youngest sister by... she was in the carriage during the attack and... well I can only assume the murderers turned her into a rat...

[Ysabeau] What?

  • Ysabeau looks puzzled.

[Ysabeau] Why would they do that?

[Alma] I think... to be as cruel as possible.

[Alma] To leave her defenseless and lost.

[Ysabeau] Is she... human again, now?

[Alma] Yes, I was able to dispel the transmutation. I suspect it was Baleful Polymorph.

[Ysabeau] Why would they have wanted to kill the others but not her?

[Ysabeau] It doesn't make much sense, does it?

[Ysabeau] Well, very little makes sense lately.

  • Ysabeau answers her own question.

[Alma] Well, I thought perhaps they might not have been able to hurt a girl as young as her, but now... I think it was just a whim, a cruel whim.

[Ysabeau] I hope the guards will find out who did it soon.

[Ysabeau] And why.

[Alma] I've offered my help to examine the scene. Perhaps I can see who did it.

[Ysabeau] Oh, that's good of you.

[Alma] As for myself... there was no one I knew personally though Reverend Father Theron's wife was one of the victims.

[Alma] And you saw that Mr. Argo's mother was killed as well?

[Ysabeau] Yes.

[Ysabeau] I was thinking of packing some of my baking into baskets for them...

[Ysabeau] But I don't know where they live, or if that's even done in the better neighbourhoods.

[Ysabeau] We did it for wakes in the Shambles.

[Alma] I'm sure Seth would appreciate it nonetheless.

[Alma] Though I suppose he might not even eat them...

[Ysabeau] Well, he doesn't need to eat, actually... according to him.

[Ysabeau] It would be more for... for the rest of his family, you know?

  • Alma nods.

[Ysabeau] Do you know where I could them? Ad the Rionets?

[Alma] I'm not sure, truly.

[Alma] Guillame and his sister would be at their home, but I'm not sure about the Argos.

[Ysabeau] I don't know where M. Rionet's home is.

  • Alma is not entirely sure how something so personal would go over in servant heavy households

[Ysabeau] Maybe the Society would have records?

[Ysabeau] Unless you think it would be too presumptuous...

  • Ysabeau catches your expression.

[Alma] It's on [Street]. I could send by the address. I was planning to send a message to him the day after the attack, but he came to me instead.

[Ysabeau] That would be helpful. Thank you, Sister.

  • Ysabeau smiles gratefully.

[Ysabeau] Murienne, Rye and I have been down at the river nearly every day since the disaster, helping how we could.

[Ysabeau] They said yesterday that there wasn't much point...

  • Alma nods.

[Ysabeau] If bodies hadn't been found yet, they probably never would.

[Alma] Time is unyielding...

[Ysabeau] That will be hard on the surviving family members, not having closure.

[Alma] There's only so much anyone can do.

[Ysabeau] I am sad for them.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Oh... one thing I wanted to tell you. I don't know if it would help with your investigations into the Duchesse's death. But it's one of the reasons I invited you to tea.

[Alma] Yes?

[Ysabeau] I've learned a new song that bolsters a magic-user's effects.

[Alma] Oh yes?

[Ysabeau] Well, it wouldn't help mine any, but anyone else who was close enough to hear.

  • Ysabeau nods.
  • Alma asks which way, according to common spellcraft terms.
  • Ysabeau will explain it.

[Alma] That's quite a song. I don't think I've heard of it before...

[Alma] Does it work on all your allies, like the other spells I've seen?

[Ysabeau] All the ones who use magic.

  • Ysabeau confirms.

[Ysabeau] As long as they can hear me.

[Alma] I suspect you'll be high on the list to invite on new society trips now :)

[Ysabeau] Oh, maybe.

[Ysabeau] I don't know of any though, do you?

[Alma] No, not yet, but I imagine there will be others.

[Ysabeau] I loved the trip to Kholm.

  • Ysabeau smiles, reminiscing.

[Alma] I'm sure we'll stumble onto some other ... world shaking insights where we least expect them.

[Ysabeau] Undoubtedly.

[Ysabeau] Speaking of which... aside from what Lord Grey said about Martan, which wasn't much, I only know that he used to be a girl. Dominik told me that.

[Alma] As for the murder, if the Guard or M. Rionet chose to have me speak with the departed, then it might help me ask more questions...

[Alma] I don't know much about him myself.

[Ysabeau] Oh I could do that, if you let me know.

  • Alma nods

[Ysabeau] I don't really understand why anyone would want him, or what role someone thinks he has to play.

[Alma] I will keep someone at the ready to send for you :)

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] That's a good question, actually. There's no real indication that the Order would want anything other than to confirm his existence.

[Ysabeau] Some number of people thought his life was in danger when he was born.

[Ysabeau] I wish I knew why.

[Alma] That might be enough, however. Maybe the Order already assumes that Theonée Deverara is the one they're looking for... but if they doubt... well that's a good thing, I think.

[Ysabeau] So aside from his being transformed, the child of Theonee Deverara, and mentioned in that riddle about her, you don't know anything more?

[Alma] Reverend Father Velten spoke of divinations performed about the time of his... well, her birth. I have an appointment to speak with COrwen Storms at the Castalia to see if his records from that time period are available.

  • Alma thinks

[Alma] When we asked about particular risk, the Reverend Father merely implied that his parentage might be enough to make people uncomfortable. Matriarch Pasith was unnerved enough by the idea of Theonée and Butler being involved...

[Ysabeau] Why?

[Ysabeau] Butler Belden, her own son?

[Alma] Well, Theonée was... different, I suppose? Butler was her son, so she was concerned for him.

[Alma] And she was pregnant with him when she passed through the Arch...

[Ysabeau] He's supposed to be 'plane-touched' along with Theonee.

[Ysabeau] Butler, I mean.

[Alma] Yes... I've been meaning to ask you if you could ask your acquaintance how exactly he knows that they are plane-touched.

[Ysabeau] Oh... I could ask, certainly. But I don't know if he'll answer.

[Alma] Oh?

[Ysabeau] He's reluctant to share anything he knows.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] Well, it could be useful to know in what way the planes have influenced the two of them, and Nash.

[Ysabeau] Theonee looked exactly the same with the True Sight spell you cast on me.

[Ysabeau] So did Martan.

[Alma] Yes, exactly why I am curious.

[Alma] He did, did he?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] I think that suggests further some sort of Miracle or Wish.

[Alma] His being was fundamentally altered.

[Ysabeau] I was close enough to speak to him during the last minute or so of the spell.

[Ysabeau] I didn't notice anything odd.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Would a child born of plane-touched parents also be plane-touched?

[Alma] Additionally, if your source can tell us how they determined this about the other three, perhaps we could look to see if Martan is similarly plane-touched. Though again, perhaps the transformation could have altered that as well.

[Alma] Not necessarily, no.

[Alma] I suppose that's a non-answer. It's not as if we have many case studies to work from :)

[Ysabeau] There's a spell I've been saving up for... Legend Lore?

[Alma] Yes.

  • Alma nods, familiar.

[Ysabeau] Once things have calmed down enough for His Majesty to pay me for the symphony, I should be able to.

[Alma] Much like True Seeing, not to be undertaken lightly :)

[Ysabeau] I had originally thought to try to use it to learn more about Kavreshar.

[Ysabeau] But I'm not sure how fruitful that would be.

[Alma] Something so abstract would take a lot of concentration.

[Alma] Though it might prove useful...

[Ysabeau] I think that once I can afford it, I'll ask our colleagues where such a spell could be put to best use in light of our studies.

[Ysabeau] You included, of course.  :)

  • Alma smiles.

[Alma] Now Legend Lore requires... incense to burn, and ivory as a focus.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I've got enough for incense or ivory, but not both, yet.

[Alma] The ivory, at least, seems like a sound investment.

[Alma] I will see about getting a set for myself, which you can of course make use of.

[Alma] And we can see if others in the society will help with the incense :)

[Ysabeau] Well enough...

  • Ysabeau looks pensive.
  • Ysabeau takes a sip of her tea, which she would have poured for both of us some time ago. ;)
  • Alma has been sipping away comfortably :)
  • Ysabeau will make small talk unless you can think of anything else to discuss?

[Alma] I myself have been looking into once again Communing with Owl.

[Alma] It would be nice to know if there are any questions we need answered...

[Alma] Keeping in mind the answers must be simple...

[Alma] I have so many things about which I want to know the truth. About Matriarch Pasith, Vrag, all the business tied back into the Hush... I'm afraid I'm missing something fundamental.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] It must be nice, being able to actually talk to Owl, and actually hearing him answer.

  • Ysabeau says wistfully.

[Alma] It is ...a powerful experience.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I can only imagine.

[Alma] Which is why I am so worried about getting it right, and not wasting it...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] Your song might be of use there as well :)

[Ysabeau] He'd understand and forgive if you got something wrong, though, wouldn't he? As long as you tried your hardest.

[Ysabeau] Oh.

  • Ysabeau ducks her head modestly.

[Alma] It might allow me to ask additional questions.

[Ysabeau] I'd be happy to play it, if you think it might help.

[Alma] I may send a carriage by some afternoon :)

[Alma] I still have to order a new one...

[Ysabeau] Oh - what happened to yours...?!

[Ysabeau] Were you on the bridge?!!

[Alma] Yes, Danyel and I were on the bridge... I was able to get us to safety.

  • Alma sips her tea

[Ysabeau] Oh, I didn't know...! I'm glad you were both all right. And... and your horses...?

[Alma] Lost, with the carriage.

[Ysabeau] Oh... poor things.

[Alma] I used Wind Walk on myself and Danyel... it lets you turn into a fog and float. I was then able to return for Marielle and some other survivors.

  • Ysabeau reaches over to scratch Rye's head, listening.

[Alma] As I said, time is unyielding... if only everything could have been suspended...

[Ysabeau] I didn't see you... we arrived a bit late and then there was just so much to do...

[Alma] Owl granted me the power to save lives, but it's hard to be satisfied with just some.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Alma] You might have mistaken me for smoke from the explosion.

[Alma] A surprisingly long spell. I imagine I could make it back to Béziers, floating on the wind.

  • Ysabeau smiles.
  • Alma will move on to pleasanter topics
  • Ysabeau will chat pleasantly with her for the rest of her visit.