Diablotin 2 session 4

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 2 session logs
Previous Session 4 Next

Summary

Session

Session date:
Diablotin date:

Prologue

[Narrator] Two days have passed since the theft of the necklace. Today, early in the morning, the four candidates went into seclusion, following a highly visible and well-attended procession through the city. Although there were fears of further violence, the guards were out in force, and nothing more than occasional yells were exchanged.

Altheo and Ser Julian

[Narrator] Altheo, your mentor Ser Julian wishes to speak with you.

  • Altheo will head over to him right away.
  • Altheo will be a bit careful about his route, so its not so obviouse

[Ser_Julian] Altheo, good day.

[Altheo] Good day.

  • Altheo isn't quite sure why he was needed.

[Ser_Julian] I've brought the matter of this necklace to the attention of the Order, and they agree that it's a matter of concern. They want to see it investigated.

[Altheo] (Do I know its been stolen yet?)

[Ser_Julian] Knowing your situation as I do, I suggested you would be ideally placed to pay a visit to the young lady who sold it. There was some grumbling from the Knights' Council, but in the end they agreed that, as someone who was involved in this from an early stage, and who regularly moves in such... circles, you were best-qualified among us.

[Narrator] If you've been to the Antiquarian Society in the past couple of days, or talked to any of its members, then yes, you would know.

[Altheo] (ok, then I would)

  • Altheo nods.

[Altheo] Its true. Do you think they may have stolen it back?

[Ser_Julian] It's possible. Given the criminal overtones to all of this, it may even be likely.

  • Altheo nods.

[Altheo] I was thinking that as well. Its a great scam really.

[Ser_Julian] Be careful, though - please, if you can, take someone with you, just in case.

  • Altheo nods.

[Altheo] My first instinct is to take someone from the boar... but maybe someone from the society might be better. Less obviously a threat.

[Ser_Julian] It's your choice.

[Ser_Julian] If you can determine that they do have it, you don't need to try and retrieve it on your own, unless you think the situation warrants immediate action.

  • Altheo nods.

[Altheo] I am pleased to be able to serve the order in this.

  • Altheo says with a smile.

[Ser_Julian] Well, it might actually help your case, in addition to serving the Order ;)

[Altheo] I suppose it would.

  • Altheo says as a joke.

[Altheo] I'll stop by the society first, and see who's willing. Then I may head to the Boar and bring some back up.

[Ser_Julian] All right - may the gods go with you.

[Altheo] And with you ser.

  • Altheo will bow and take his leave.

Altheo and Seth

[Narrator] All right, so you're going to the Society?

[Altheo] Yes.

[Narrator] All right - Seth is there when you arrive.

[Altheo] (perfect)

  • Altheo smiles at his good fortune and will head up to the gentleman.
  • Seth is leafing through a book, and looks up as you approach.

[Altheo] (Does Seth look like he could handle himself if things got rough?)

[Seth] (he's wiry ... not too muscular though. But yeah, more or less, he can handle himself.)

[Seth] Ah, hello, M. Renaud.

[Altheo] Hello there.

[Altheo] I was thinking of looking into the theft a bit.

  • Altheo says, casually.

[Altheo] Its not often that one of our finds go missing so quickly.

[Seth] I see ...

[Seth] They do have guards looking into it, though, don't they?

[Altheo] This is true.

[Altheo] But I know the guards that opperate in Mrs. De Quincy's area, and I"m not sure we should leave the matter entirely in their hands.

[Seth] Well ... perhaps not.

[Seth] (have I learned anything from my investigations of the Bonemire?)

[Narrator] You know where it is, and that it's between twelve hundred and thirteen hundred years old, and the circumstances under which it was abandoned (as described last time).

[Seth] If it is not too presumptuous ... I might be of some assistance in your efforts.

[Altheo] I was hoping you might offer actually.

[Altheo] I'm not quite sure how many people it would be prudent to bring, but I certainly can't go alone.

  • Seth smiles.

[Seth] Yes ... too many people wandering around would stir up attention. Also ... well, one needs to be able to fit in in a place such as the Bonemire.

[Seth] I've been unable to find anything specifically linking the Bonemire to any necklace, or indeed to any unusual supernatural doings.

[Narrator] There are stories that the area in general is haunted, but those could well be fostered by criminals in order to keep people away.

[Altheo] Do you have any sugestions about who to bring with us?

[Altheo] I could ask someone from the Rutting Boar to join us.

[Seth] Well, if you feel that is useful, I suppose. But the way I see it, the fewer the better.

[Seth] If you would care to have someone nearby with a carriage in case we need to make a hasty exit, that would do, I suppose.

[Altheo] Good.

[Seth] All right, let's go then.

  • Seth will put his books away and gather up his things.

[Altheo] I do believe that Sister Alma travels by carriage. She may be helpful if we need a quick departure.

[Seth] Ah ... she is busy, I'm sure, with important matters of state, don't you think? Given the upcoming election?

[Altheo] You are probably right.

[Altheo] I'll get us a carriage.

[Seth] Very well, let's go.

  • Altheo nods and will head out.

[Altheo] We'll need to stop by the Boar first to get the carriage and a few of my things.

[Seth] All right.

  • Altheo heads off and gather his things and get ready, then off to the Bonemire

[Narrator] All right - you get whatever you feel you're going to need.

[Narrator] You take the carriage the well-travelled Elystan Walk, which runs roughly parallel to the river and passes through Rhenea, the Castalia, and ultimately ends in the Pav, but you must disembark and travel by foot along a narrow, muddy path that winds to the riverbank itself.

  • Seth will regale Altheo with tales of the various architectural features as we travel.

[Narrator] You walk carefully along the riverside, in an area that was once no doubt prosperous. That was before the river rose, leaving many of the buildings here on to collapse on their unstable, sodden foundations and sweeping some away entirely.

  • Altheo listens intently.

[Narrator] The stench of the river is strong here, all sewage and slime. The Bonemire is easily the strongest-looking structure here, built of stone - its foundations must be sunk deep in the sticky black mud. Its tiled dome is fractured and open to the sky in places, but it still stands tall.

  • Altheo is also carying weapons, just for the record.

[Seth] And here, blah blah blah collapse, blah blah structural integrity ...

[Narrator] It has long since been stripped of anything of value, no doubt, but the basic structure appears relatively solid.

[Narrator] Seth, Given its age, it's almost certainly got extensive catacombs beneath it, which may connect into the Old City's underground tunnels if they're not entirely flooded. There should also be some sort of drainage system to the river, but it may be long since blocked by silt.

[Narrator] Ironically, its wet terrain probably spared it from the Great Fire of 2128, which burned large sections of the north bank of the city, especially toward the Shambles.

  • Seth will look for a likely entryway.

[Narrator] Are you trying to approach stealthily? If so, I'll need MS/Hide checks.

[Seth] (how busy is the area?)

[Altheo] [q]I should warn you, I'm not the stealthiest man in this city...)

[Narrator] Pretty quiet, and it would be fairly hard to approach under cover - the area around the temple itself is pretty barren.

[Altheo] Could we approach from underground?

[Seth] I'm looking for an entryway right now. We have to be careful though, not to enter an area that's blocked from the temple.

[Narrator] Make a spot check

[Altheo] (13)

[Seth] (11)

[Narrator] You don't see any entryways other than the obvious doors and windows and holes in the ceiling of the temple.

[Narrator] You have the feeling that you're being watched, but can't spot anyone.

[Narrator] Make listen checks as well, please

[Altheo] (22 listen)

[Seth] (18)

[Narrator] You both hear a low whistle that could be a bird nesting in one of the dead trees on the once-hallowed ground. From above you in the abandoned temple, you also hear a faint click, perhaps a crossbow being drawn.

  • Seth tries to find some cover and looks up to see what is going on.
  • Altheo moves for cover as well.

[Narrator] There are some dead-ish trees, you could try to hide behind them.

  • Seth will do so.
  • Altheo as well.

[Altheo] Hmmmm, if they know were here, maybe we should just try a diplomatic solution.

[Seth] (what do I see if anything?)

[Narrator] Are you trying to hide? If so, Hide checks are in order.

[Seth] (13)

[Altheo] (21 hide on a natural 20)

  • Ninon steps out and gives a signal whistle.

[Ninon] How many of you are there?

[Seth] [q] It appears we've been spotted.

  • Altheo glances at Seth questioningly.
  • Seth stands up.

[Seth] Only two.

  • Altheo stand as well, and keep an eye out for any more attackers.

[Ninon] Stand down, girls.

[Narrator] From inside the temple, about a dozen girls emerge, some perched on windowsills, one clambering out of a hole in the roof to lounge there in the sun. They all look young, some not even fifteen yet.

[Narrator] There is also one young man, maybe early 20s, with dirty-blond curls, who leans against the doorframe and watches you suspiciously. He's got a gun, but keeps it pointed to the ground.

  • Altheo tries to memorize their faces, just in case.
  • Ninon gestures for you to approach.
  • Altheo walks gallantly forward.
  • Ninon runs a hand through her short red hair and smiles at you.

[Ninon] You here on business, Mr. Renaud? 'Cause I don't have any poor, unfortunate girls for you to rescue.

  • Altheo smiles.

[Narrator] Some of the girls laugh at that.

[Altheo] Well, I am on business, but not that kind.

[Altheo] Could we head someplace and talk perhaps?

[Ninon] Where?

[Altheo] Anyplace we won't be overheard.

  • Ninon shrugs.

[Altheo] (How many of those girls are carying weapons?)

[Ninon] We can go inside.

  • Altheo smiles and nods

[Altheo] Certainly.

[Narrator] Pretty much all of them have daggers, at least, some have crossbows.

  • Seth looks uncertainly at the group.
  • Ninon gestures to the guy in the doorway to stand aside, which he does, but looks pissed about it.

[Narrator] Inside, the temple is strewn with sleeping mats and assorted debris.

[Altheo] How is business these days?

  • Altheo asks in a friendly manner.
  • Ninon takes you up to where the altar stands, where there are a few mismatched wooden chairs, and gestures that you have a seat.

[Ninon] Good enough. You?

  • Seth sits uneasily.

[Altheo] I'm doing very well.

  • Altheo sits down.

[Ninon] What brings you here, then?

[Altheo] Its actually the business you conducted with Mr. Conquaine

[Ninon] Oh?

[Ninon] Is there a problem? He wants the money back?

[Altheo] No, not at all. But the necklace has gone missing. Stolen from the Antequarian Society soon after he was purchased.

  • Ninon looks surprised.

[Ninon] That's... very strange.

[Altheo] (SM to see if she is really surprised.)

[Narrator] (roll)

[Altheo] It was being studied using magic by some of the members of the society. They discovered it had some unusual properties.

[Altheo] I was hoping you might be able to tell me a little more about it.

[Narrator] (are you going to roll?)

[Altheo] (14 on the roll)

[Narrator] You don't have any sense that she's not surprised.

[Ninon] What did you want to know?

[Altheo] Well, I suppose it would be too easy if you knew of anyone else that might be trying to get that necklace back?

[Ninon] There *was* something weird...

  • Ninon says, thinking aloud.

[Ninon] After I took it to Conquaine's place, while he was keeping it for a few days to, I don't know, check it was real or whatever, I got someone around here asking about it.

[Altheo] really? Who?

[Ninon] I mean, I'd mentioned to a few people that Grandmere was looking to sell the thing, you know, trying to figure out where we'd get the best price, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

[Ninon] Anyway, a few days later, this old priest came here to ask about it. Walked up like he wasn't scared of anything, like he knew what he was doing.

[Ninon] Old, I guess in his sixties, with grey hair. He was really tall and scrawny, like a beanpole. Order of the Wolf, if you believe the robes.

[Ninon] He asks about the necklace, if it's still for sale. Now, he doesn't look like the kind of guy who'd wear a fancy stone like that, or have a sweetheart to give it to either, so I'm a bit suspicious why he's interested.

  • Altheo listens carefully.

[Ninon] So he says it's not him who's interested, it's the Hush.

[Ninon] I mean, he doesn't say he's *in* the Hush, they never say that, but that's the implication.

[Narrator] Altheo, you would certainly know of the Hush - also called the Companions of Silence. They're an underworld organization, rumoured to be directed from high up in the government, who generally keep things running smoothly among the criminal gangs, cutting down on turf wars and that sort of thing.

  • Seth nods as if he knows what that is.

[Altheo] Really.

[Altheo] That surprises me a bit.

[Ninon] Yeah, well, me too.

[Ninon] I pay my dues to the Hush like everyone else. I don't get on their bad side. But I can't sell them a necklace I don't have, so I tell him it's already sold, or as good as.

[Ninon] He offered to double whatever the other guy paid me. By then, I'm feeling real suspicious - okay, I'd like the coin, but this seems kind of crazy. I pull myself up and tell him no deal, and he goes away all pissy.

[Ninon] You know anything about what's going on here?

[Ninon] 'Cause now I'm worried the Hush are gonna come down on me and my girls like a ton of bricks.

[Altheo] hmmm.

[Altheo] What about your Grandmother? Can't she help you?

[Ninon] Yeah, well, I don't go running to her with every little problem. If I knew what the void was going on here, then maybe she'd be able to do something.

  • Altheo thinks carefully about how much he wants to tell this girl.

[Ninon] She never even liked the necklace anyway.

  • Ninon grumbles.

[Altheo] Who gave it to her?

[Ninon] She told me it was given to her by an old admirer, back when she was on the stage, but that it 'gave her the creeps' and so she stashed it away somewhere.

[Altheo] After it was purchased Mr. Conquaine brougth it to the society for magical research. It appears it had properties that neither of us expected.

  • Ninon listens.

[Altheo] Do you think your Grandmother suspected it was more than just a fancy necklace?

[Ninon] Maybe.

  • Ninon says with a shrug.

[Altheo] Well, If you don't know anything about the necklace, I doubt the Hush will cause you problems.

[Ninon] Are they going to cause you problems? 'Cause you seem to know something about it.

[Altheo] So Its probably for the best if I don't tell you anything more.

[Altheo] I'm not sure yet. But if anyone else seems to be sniffing around, I'd like to hear about it. And in exchange, if you do run into any problems, I'd be willing to help.

[Ninon] All right.

  • Ninon smiles at that.

[Altheo] (how old is she?)

  • Altheo will rise to leave and offer to shake her hand.
  • Ninon is maybe about 23-4 or so.
  • Ninon will shake.
  • Seth rises to leave as well, trying to hide his confusion.
  • Altheo heads out with Seth.

The noble PCs

[Narrator] The candidates, having done all they can to do persuade voters in one direction or another, have now, following a ceremonial procession through the streets of the city, retired into seclusion in the heavily-warded chambers beneath the Imperial Palace reserved for that purpose for many centuries.

[Narrator] They will not emerge until three days have passed, by which point you will have (hopefully) chosen a new emperor.

[Narrator] Rumours of what the candidates do during this period are often...colourful, though no doubt exaggerated. Formerly it was intended as a time for contemplation and purification before the test of the Arch; now, it is largely a formality, but it does have the benefit of preventing the candidates from directly interfering with the electoral process.

[Narrator] In the meanwhile, the rest of the Great Council are at leisure, somewhat. There continue to be daily meetings and discussions at the palace, but many of the most important deals at this juncture take place behind closed doors, and some who have already made up their minds have retreated until the vote itself, presumably not wishing to be swayed from their choice.

[Narrator] Guillame, you continue to be troubled by the attack on Aden Olivier. Although you answered the guards' questions to the best of your ability, you were not left with a feeling of great confidence that they would solve this crime, certainly not before the election the day after tomorrow.

[Guillame] (Indeed)

[Narrator] Given the nature of the attack, it seems likely it was not intended to be fatal - carried out in public, where onlookers could intervene, and not killing with a single blow, it seems to you more in the nature of a warning than an assassination attempt.

[Narrator] Dark rumours have been spreading through the Great Council as to who may have been responsible. The primary target of these whispers is Marl Kizer, known to be a sorcerer of some power.

[Narrator] (I suggest that maybe Guillame, Alma and Ilphere can talk about this - Dominik would also be there, as Ilphere's bodyguard ;)

[Ilphere] Well I think it's ridiculous what they're saying about Marl.

  • Dominik shrugs at the comment

[Alma] Is there any sort of indication it could be him, or is it simply a matter of him being a sorceror?

[Guillame] I don't know him, but it seems like it would be pretty stupid for him to do it.

[Ilphere] Precisely, he had nothing to gain!

[Ilphere] He was already well ahead, and something like this only helps Aden.

[Guillame] Unless he was just angry? I mean, some people really are that flaky...?

[Ilphere] I don't think so.

  • Ilphere says flatly.

[Alma] Has there been any talk of delaying the vote until more information is known?

[Narrator] (no, there hasn't)

[Guillame] I haven't heard any, and I'd be surprised to.

[Ilphere] The Levellers could have engineered it for all we know, to gain sympathy.

[Narrator] (Ilphere and Alma, can you make Spellcraft checks?)

[Guillame] Whoever did it isn't going to gain sympathy.

[Ilphere] I'll be glad when all this is over..!

[Guillame] Me too, to be honest.

[Ilphere] (11 :/)

[Ilphere] (or 27 if I use rollbot :V)

[Alma] (My character sheet isn't loading... I got 16+spellcraft)

[Narrator] (heh - let's go with Rollbot ;)

[Ilphere] (let's :V)

[Alma] (23)

[Narrator] You would both guess that, if this was a summoned creature, it would have to have been someone who was at the Council itself, given the short range and duration of such spells.

[Narrator] Ilphere, you further believe that, with more information about the creature itself, it would be possible to better determine the likely strength of the caster.

[Ilphere] Was anyone able to find out more about the creature itself...?

[Ilphere] It is sort of my area of expertise.

[Alma] Did Reverend Mother vak Andras say anything?

[Guillame] Not about the thing, to me. I saw it as much as anyone did, though.

  • Alma pulls out a copy of one of the broadsheets and flips through it.

[Ilphere] So...?

[Alma] (She did, actually.)

[Narrator] Ilphere, you can make a Knowledge: Planes check.

[Guillame] It was human shaped, at least while it fell. Before that it was invisible, and attacked using the wind

[Alma] (Well I guess not specifically, she said it could be an air elemental or a ... something else.)

[Guillame] I felt the wind, but wasn't hurt - only Aden was.

[Ilphere] (can I make some kind of roll based on that info?)

[Narrator] (I just said you can make a K:planes check :)

[Ilphere] (I'm blind)

[Ilphere] (27)

[Narrator] Okay, here is what you think, based on that description. Air elementals aren't completely invisible, they're sort of cloudy. On that basis alone, you doubt it was an air elemental. A better possibility is the invisible stalker.

[Narrator] Which is, well, invisible, and attacks using air as its weapon.

[Ilphere] Hmm... sounds like an invisible stalker.

[Ilphere] An elemental has *some* visible manifestation, even an air elemental...!

[Narrator] That would require a much more powerful caster to summon than a small elemental would.

[Ilphere] They would have to be quite powerful... much more so than a summoner of a simple elemental...!

[Guillame] I haven't heard of anyone like that in the Levellers...

[Narrator] Unless Marl has been doing nothing but studying since he left the Castalia, you would be very surprised if he were personally powerful enough, Ilphere.

[Alma] A sorceror so powerful could even be hidden himself, no?

[Ilphere] Marl would not be at that level...

  • Ilphere nods to Alma.

[Ilphere] I should say so... !

[Alma] It's almost pointless to guess at the members of the Council...

[Ilphere] Although it was certainly someone who was here... they could well have been hidden, as you say...

[Alma] I should donate some funds to the Castalia to put towards researching some sort of... investigative spell to trace the magic back to its source -_-

[Narrator] Anyone who's got K:nobles can make a check.

[Alma] (12)

[Ilphere] (12)

[Alma] Not that it will help today...

[Narrator] The only other candidate you know who's directly connected to a powerful sorcerer is Fredericia Hartzell, whose great-aunt is Lyra Hartzell, the Chief Sorcerer.

[Alma] .oO( I wouldn't entirely be surprised if a reactionary like her... no, stop that... )

  • Alma sighs.
  • Ilphere isn't going to say it...!

[Guillame] It's not worth distrusting everyone...

  • Ilphere glances at Alma though to see if she's thinking it... (SM untrained :V)

[Ilphere] (20)

  • Alma probably looks like she might have thought of something but dismissed it.
  • Dominik quirks an eye at the pause in the conversation

[Ilphere] Anyway...!

  • Guillame looks relieved

[Alma] Have either of you made any decisions?

[Ilphere] Well... I have been thinking carefully... Grand-Mère has given me a big responsibility...!

[Ilphere] Have you, Countess?

[Alma] I have not yet, no... though Marl Kizer seems like the wisest choice...

[Guillame] It's probably obvious that I'm obliged to be in support of a reform for the whole process, which means supporting Aden at this point.

[Ilphere] I think you may be right...

[Ilphere] He is a very intelligent man.

  • Alma nods, understandingly, at Guillame.

[Dominik] [m] or at least he appears to be

  • Ilphere shoots a sharp look at Dominik.

[Guillame] Of course, my own opinion isn't entirely relevant

[Alma] Have House Rat spoken to Kizer? Has he promised to have the Great Council decide your place in the cycle?

  • Dominik looks questioningly at Ilphere

[Ilphere] This is my... cousin, Dominik Rademacher

[Alma] Good day, M. Rademacher.

[Alma] Do you have issue with M. Kizer?

  • Dominik nods to the others
  • Ilphere says almost apologetically, realizing she hasn't introduced him.

[Dominik] Dominik is fine for me.

[Alma] Certainly, Dominik.

[Dominik] I don't have issues with Marl, I just don't think all of his choices have been great, thats all.

[Alma] Such as?

[Dominik] lets just say he's typical nobility.

[Alma] I'm sure I don't know what you mean.

[Ilphere] Me neither...!

  • Alma goes from looking interest to maybe a little vexed.
  • Dominik sighs

[Dominik] I've never really had a conversation with Marl. I do know he was a good friend of my sisters, for a while.

[Dominik] my sister has had quite a few good friends.

[Dominik] Hence my concern about some of his choices.

[Ilphere] ...!

  • Ilphere blushes a little.

[Ilphere] Well, I know him from the Castalia and he's always been very gentlemanly to me...!

[Narrator] Okay, we are now going to move on... you can continue talking elsewhere if you like, but I need to borrow Ilphere and Dominik :)

[Guillame] He doesn't seem to be ready to run everything to me - although I suppose nobody is ever really ready to run an empire...

[Ilphere] He's more ready than Aden Olivier...

  • Ilphere sniffs

[Dominik] are any of them really ready?

[Alma] I believe that is probably true... M. Oliver is... perhaps mostly optimism.

[Guillame] I think Aden has a better understanding of the people he'd be ruling, is all I'm saying.

[Narrator] (just make sure to log wherever you decide to keep talking :)

[Narrator] (Actually, I realize I need Sanadhil first - so we'll switch to him :)

Sanadhil

[Narrator] Sanadhil, you receive a note on the same expensive paper Phedre Lozada-Boyne used last time. It reads as follows:

[Narrator] "If you are still curious, you are most welcome to join us this evening. Simply present this note to the doorman to be admitted. It is customary for our members to come masked, in order that they may preserve their privacy."

[Narrator] The note concludes with directions to an address on Starcross Street, which is on the other side of the Down from your home.

  • Sanadhil will need a prety convincing mask ;p

[Narrator] (one that covers your ears? ;)

  • Sanadhil will send a note to illphere

[Sanadhil] (yeah, and dunno what to do with my hair either ;p)

[Narrator] (okay - telling her to meet you somewhere?)

[Narrator] (meet at the society, it'll save me trouble ;)

[Sanadhil] (yeah, not the society though, maybe the castalaia somewhere quiet?)

[Narrator] (aw, you're no fun ;)

[Narrator] Okay, you can arrange to meet where you please.

[Sanadhil] (cautious, I prefer ;)

Ilphere and Dominik

[Narrator] Ilphere, having received the note and departed the Great Council, you and your new bodyguard head for the designated meeting place, where you hope to meet Sanadhil and ditch Dominik ;)

[Ilphere] (what did the note say?)

[Sanadhil] 9That i have received word from the group we'd discussed, and i wantd to provide you with more details so we can prepare)

[Ilphere] (k)

[Ilphere] M. Orecalo is an intructor at the Castalia... he is working with me on some sensitive research.

  • Ilphere explains on the way.
  • Dominik nods
  • Dominik lets Ilphere lead the way

[Dominik] sensitive in what way?

[Ilphere] We are hoping to conduct some interviews to gather data on certain obscure superstitious practices...

[Ilphere] It has been difficult to convince them to speak to us.

[Ilphere] I am hoping this means he has obtained an agreement...!

[Dominik] good for you

[Ilphere] But... I don't think they will be pleased if we bring an extra person... !

  • Ilphere wrings her hands worriedly
  • Dominik eyes narrow

[Dominik] I thought we talked about this.

[Ilphere] Listen... I will be perfectly safe with M. Orecalo...! It would be just the same as if you were there...

[Dominik] who are these people?

[Ilphere] They have some alternate religious beliefs, that's all...

[Ilphere] I'm sure you would not find it very interesting... it will be a lot of asking them how their grandmother practiced things...

[Dominik] Fine, I will accompany you to your meeting, but wait outside.

[Ilphere] You might be more comfortable waiting at the Society...

  • Ilphere suggests helpfully
  • Dominik sighs

[Dominik] This isn't going to work

[Ilphere] M. Orecalo is very responsible...! :(

[Ilphere] He's an elf...

[Ilphere] Ah, I mean, Cozovode.

[Dominik] Fine, I'll wait at the society so you can go off to your "meeting" with the Cozovode.

[Dominik] so you can talk about your ancient religions.

[Ilphere] If I had known earlier that Mother was bringing you here I could have arranged something else... I really didn't plan it to try and 'ditch' you, as you say...

[Ilphere] :/

[Dominik] You will owe me. You understand?

  • Ilphere will take her victory, however slim.
  • Ilphere nods.

[Ilphere] Oh, thank you... I won't forget...!

[Narrator] All right, you drop Dominik off at the Society - fortunately, Ysabeau is there to keep him entertained - and go to meet Sanadhil.

[Dominik] Try not to

Ilphere and Sanadhil

[Narrator] (Okay, so you arrive, unencumbered, at your meeting with Sanadhil)

  • Sanadhil stands as you arrive

[Sanadhil] Good to see you, miss de Quessennet

[Ilphere] M. Orecalo!

[Ilphere] I was glad to get your message...!

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] I can see!

[Sanadhil] I received a message this morning

[Ilphere] What did they say?

[Sanadhil] I believe it should be fine to bring you along - it is fairly inspecific

  • Sanadhil shows you the note
  • Ilphere scans it.

[Ilphere] Oh my, masks...!

[Sanadhil] indeed

[Sanadhil] probably for the best

[Sanadhil] I still need to acquire something for myself - i can find one for you as wel, if you like

[Ilphere] Alright...

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ilphere] Thank you!

  • Sanadhil seems ahestitant still

[Sanadhil] What do you kow of the order?

[Sanadhil] Other than their fascination with the Arch?

[Ilphere] Well, I know what most do... that they worship and apparently are trying to evoke whatever used to power the Arch... and that people say they are depraved and debaucherous and so on...

  • Ilphere blushes a little.

[Sanadhil] They are.

[Sanadhil] it's true.

[Ilphere] Have you seen them... doing things...? :o

  • Ilphere furrows her brow slightly.

[Sanadhil] I have seen evidence of their activities, yes.

[Sanadhil] I want you to be aware... In case you change your mind

[Ilphere] ...

[Ilphere] No, this research is too important.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Narrator] (All right, I'll presume you can secure whatever things you need to take with you, and make your way there after sunset.)

[Sanadhil] I am hoping that with the masks, it will be easy to chose our own level of participation

  • Ilphere nods.

[Sanadhil] (yarr)

[Narrator] The address on Starcross Street you were given brings you to a plain but well-maintained brick home, just like many others on the street - you might guess it a merchant's residence, perhaps, if you were to walk by it under normal circumstances.

[Narrator] As you approach, a carriage draws up and two passengers disembark. Both are masked, and wear long dark cloaks that conceal their forms, but you think they are both female, and fairly young, as you hear one of them giggle.

[Narrator] They approach and knock at the door, which opens to let them enter.

[Sanadhil] (Do I know who lives here or works her normally?)

  • Ilphere has brought a riding cloak from home as well as the mask Sanadhil procured for her.
  • Sanadhil has nice taste at least!

[Narrator] (no, it's just a nondescript house - you never really paid attention)

[Sanadhil] (okay)

  • Sanadhil 's mask wraps around to cover most of his head, and he wears a hooded cloak as well

[Narrator] Following them, you present your note and are admitted into a narrow corridor. All of the doors leading off it are closed, so you don't get a look at the rest of the house, but from the hallway, it seems quite plain and simple - a worn carpet, a few nondescript prints of landscapes and flowers hanging from the walls.

  • Ilphere keeps her hood up as well.

[Narrator] The footman - masked as well - takes your cloaks (unless you're keeping them) and escorts you to a narrow staircase at the end of the hall and gestures to suggest you go up.

  • Sanadhil keeps his, for now at least
  • Sanadhil heads up
  • Ilphere will keep hers as well, then, taking cues from San.
  • Sanadhil will offer Ilphère his arm
  • Ilphere takes it gratefully.

[Narrator] The upstairs, rather than being divided into bedrooms and parlours, is one large chamber. The walls are black and traced with strange geometric patterns and designs in silver. The ceiling is decorated with inset stars, perhaps crystal of some sort, that reflect the light strangely.

[Narrator] The room has plush rugs and several low couches strewn with cushions, but most of the guests - about twenty-five or so in number - are standing, talking quietly amongst themselves.

[Narrator] They are all masked in order to conceal the upper halves of their faces, and dressed in simple, loose-fitting garments rather than the ornate finery of the upper crust. Most appear to be fairly young - you see no grey heads among their number.

  • Ilphere takes note of the designs... do they signify anything that I can puzzle out?

[Narrator] (make a K:arcane rolle)

  • Sanadhil would like to se if the patterns mean anything and if the tars mirror any real consterllations, which ones, and if they mean anything

[Narrator] (Ok, astronomy, I guess)

[Ilphere] (15 :/)

[Narrator] (You don't recognize anything about them that means anything to you - you can try to remember them to look them up later, perhaps.)

[Ilphere] (I will make an effort to do so)

[Sanadhil] (22 on Arcana, 7 on astrology - rolled a 1)

[Narrator] (You don't think the patterns on the walls mean anything - just look 'occult'. The stars, you're not at all sure about.)

  • Sanadhil will use a destiny to reroll on astrology though, what the hell :V

[Narrator] ('k)

[Sanadhil] (14 :p)

[Narrator] (They are roughly like real constellations, though not completely accurate.)

  • Sanadhil will make not to look them up later, just in case

[Narrator] The last to enter the room is Phedre herself, escorted by her husband. Neither of them wears a mask. She wears a simple black robe, and about her neck is a pendant, silver with a flat black stone at its centre.

[Narrator] (Definitely not a sapphire, btw.)

  • Ilphere looks around on the off chance she recognizes anyone by their hair...

[Sanadhil] (okay, good to know)

[Ilphere] (is it the one I saw in the society?)

[Narrator] (the necklace?)

[Ilphere] (OK no then)

[Narrator] (yeah, no :)

[Narrator] Ilphere, you do believe you recognize one of the men there, though he's masked. His hair is a striking mop of red-gold curls, and he bears a strong resemblance to Dominik's brother Theron Rademacher.

[Sanadhil] . o ( well, that's reassuring at least )

[Ilphere] . o O ( :o )

  • Phedre approaches you, smiling.

[Phedre] I'm so pleased you decided to join us this evening. And you've brought a friend, how lovely.

  • Phedre does not ask your name.

[Sanadhil] I hope that's no trouble

[Phedre] Not at all.

  • Sanadhil Sm's her

[Phedre] (to try to figure out what?)

  • Ilphere smiles (hopefully) inscrutably, and keeps quiet.

[Sanadhil] (gauge her reaction to Ilphere's presence?)

[Narrator] (sure, roll away :)

[Sanadhil] (16)

  • Phedre seems indifferent-to-pleased.

[Sanadhil] (keen)

[Sanadhil] What should we be expecting, then?

[Phedre] Please, know that whatever you may see here tonight, no one is being harmed. Everyone is here of their own free will, and everyone will leave safely when the ceremony is concluded.

[Phedre] I do ask that you not interrupt the ritual, of course. You may not wish to participate fully at this time, but if that's the case, please just step aside and remain quiet.

[Sanadhil] of course

  • Ilphere nods...
  • Ilphere is sooo excited to see what will happen, but tries to contain herself.

[Phedre] Thank you for coming - hopefully we will get a chance to speak again later.

[Sanadhil] I hope so

  • Sanadhil smiles
  • Ilphere smiles again as well.

[Narrator] The group gathers into a circle, subtly ushered into formation by Earric. Phedre takes up her place at the centre of the ring.

[Phedre] Welcome, friends.

[Narrator] (Are you joining in the circle?)

[Sanadhil] (sure, for now)

  • Ilphere watches Earric especially, after what San said about him before.

[Ilphere] (yeah)

[Phedre] We who gather here venerate our own strength, our own minds, our own bodies. We refuse to be bound by the ropes of priest-law, or the dictates of the cold, indifferent stars. We are here to strip away the bonds of convention, and to embrace life in all its fullness!

  • Phedre begins to chant softly, while Earric plays a hand-held drum and another man plays a reed flute with a high, haunting sound.

[Narrator] Ilphere, you recognize the language she sings in as Abyssal. She invokes the Lord of the Abyss, Filler of the Void, to bless and protect his followers, to watch over them and spare them from his wrath, and permit them to do his bidding.

[Ilphere] (do her words mean anything in any language I know?)

[Ilphere] (cool)

[Narrator] Make a Will save. [DC 18, San gets +2]

[Ilphere] (21)

[Sanadhil] (22)

[Narrator] Okay - you don't notice any change, except that the other members appear to be enthralled by what is going on.

[Sanadhil] (could I get a spellcraft or anyhting similar to recognize that there is some kind of effect at work?)

[Ilphere] (can I make a spellcraft roll to figure out what happened?)

[Narrator] (sure, you can make sp checks)

[Sanadhil] (9 :p)

[Ilphere] (29, natural 20)

[Narrator] (Ilphere - perhaps it is a bardic magic effect to enthrall the listeners. San, you have no idea ;)

[Phedre] Ophion! Ophion! Ophion! Lead us to your truth! Soul of the Seven, Seer of the Hidden Paths, help us shatter the ties that bind us, that we may know the truth!

[Phedre] To each of our brothers and sisters, even those who cannot be here tonight, grant strength, courage, and good fortune!

[Narrator] The chanting continues, growing faster and more powerful, and other members join in, some swaying back and forth or falling to their knees in ecstasy. The tight circle begins to break down as people move more freely around the room.

[Ilphere] (Ophion? Does that name mean anything to me?)

[Sanadhil] (yarr - is she still chanting in Abyssal?)

[Narrator] (K: arcane, I guess would be best)

[Narrator] (No, that part was in Common)

[Ilphere] (26)

[Sanadhil] (man my rolls ae ass tonight - ahh well, that's why i brought ilphere ;)

[Narrator] In Archaic Aveyronnais, it means 'Serpent'. You don't know of any being or entity by that name, however.

[Narrator] Some dance in meandering patterns, seemingly mesmerised by the shadows they cast or simply by the rhythm of the drum.

[Narrator] One young woman strips off her loose tunic, to cries of approval and admiration, and soon other members begin to follow suit.

[Ilphere] (I assume she's naked :V)

[Narrator] (yes)

[Narrator] Sanadhil, a woman sidles up to you. She seems quite young, at first glance, because she's very short and slender, but you think she may be past thirty. Masses of red curls hang loose around her masked face.

  • Ilphere keeps her eyes peeled for any evidence of actual magical/extraplanar activity other than the entrancement effect, but feels she may be disappointed.

[Woman] Here...

[Ilphere] . o O ( I need to see one of the rites on the Down...! )

  • Woman offers you a small glass vial that contains what looks like shimmering blue-white sand.

[Sanadhil] ...

  • Sanadhil takes the vial

[Sanadhil] what...

  • Woman chuckles.

[Woman] Vodare. You sniff it, like this.

  • Woman holds a similar, though empty, vial to her nose and inhales sharply.

[Woman] You'll like it... ;)

[Sanadhil] (have I ever heard of this Before?)

[Narrator] (uh... got Alchemy?)

[Ilphere] (Does it look like Phedre or Earric are on drugs?)

[Sanadhil] (no)

[Narrator] (Then no, and no to Ilphere's question too - they look pretty with it still.)

  • Sanadhil glances at ilphere

[Woman] I have enough for your friend too, if you'd care to join me...

  • Woman says with a tantalizing smile.
  • Ilphere sways to the drums and tries to look like she fits in

[Sanadhil] I think she's found distraction enough

  • Woman laughs.
  • Sanadhil smiles

[Woman] Then just you :)

  • Woman lays a hand on your arm.

[Sanadhil] ...why not?

  • Sanadhil will see if he can fake taking the drugs for now, and pocket the vial for investigation later on

[Ilphere] . o O ( M. Orecalo! :o )

[Sanadhil] (slight of hand?)

[Narrator] (Make a check, then...)

[Sanadhil] (10... mayeb she's high enough not to notice :V)

  • Woman doesn't seem to notice you palm the vial and pretend to ingest it.

[Sanadhil] (keen)

  • Woman will try to kiss you, unless you're resisting ;)

[Sanadhil] (nah, kising i can handle ;)

[Narrator] Well, other couples are doing considerably more... One pair have begun to copulate on the floor in full view of everyone. Soon another pair, this time both female, join them.

  • Sanadhil is nervous but tries to cover it

[Narrator] A young man approaches you, Ilphere.

  • Man might be in his mid-twenties or so, tall and stocky, with short, wavy brown hair. His face is obscured by a mask, and his shirt has been discarded somewhere along the way.

[Ilphere] (not familiar then...?)

[Man] (you don't recognize him)

[Man] You're so beautiful...

  • Man says, voice slightly slurred as if intoxicated. He reaches out to touch your face.

[Ilphere] ...

  • Ilphere freezes
  • Sanadhil tries to get not so involved with this lady as to abandon Ilphere completely, but I'll leave that up to J
  • Woman will keep making out with you, unless you try to disentangle yourself.
  • Ilphere musters a smile

[Man] Come, lie with me :)

  • Man says in a friendly fashion.
  • Sanadhil will have semi-distracted makeouts until he can see how Ilphere is dealing with this dude

[Ilphere] I... It's my first time here... I am just watching for now...

  • Man chuckles.

[Man] All right - watch all you want, beauty :)

[Narrator] Someone else has taken over the drum, you notice at some point, and Earric and Phedre are circulating around the chamber, talking briefly with one member or another, stopping to embrace or dance, either with each other or with their other companions from time to time.

  • Ilphere smiles genuinely, relieved.
  • Ilphere resumes swaying, dancing to the rhythms, surreptitiously watching the two leaders.
  • Earric locks his gaze with yours, Ilphere, and smiles, drawing closer.
  • Phedre accompanies him.
  • Ilphere returns the smile.

[Earric] I hope you're enjoying yourself.

[Ilphere] Yes... it is fascinating...

  • Earric nods, smiling.

[Earric] This is really only the beginning.

[Earric] Kiss me.

  • Earric suggests.

[Narrator] (Will save)

[Ilphere] (20)

[Narrator] (okay, you make it - it's up to you if you want to kiss him or not)

[Ilphere] (well Sanadhil did it and so can I ]:|)

  • Ilphere hesitates briefly but will go for it
  • Earric 's kiss is strong and passionate. His arms coil around your back, holding you tight. You feel strangely free and light-headed, unfamiliar sensations coursing through you.

[Ilphere] ...

[Narrator] Another Will save, please.

[Ilphere] (15)

  • Phedre stands behind you, half-embracing and half-supporting you.
  • Ilphere isn't sure what is going on...

[Sanadhil] ...

[Narrator] You taste blood in your mouth, Ilphere, but you feel no pain.

[Ilphere] ...?

[Narrator] You feel... strange. It's difficult to describe. You feel... very close to Earric.

  • Ilphere tries to pull away.
  • Earric won't hold you if you try to pull away.

[Earric] Thank you, Ilphere.

[Ilphere] What...?

[Narrator] (you don't remember telling him your name...)

[Ilphere] What happened?

[Ilphere] (Can I get any kind of roll to figure out what he just did to me and what he might be? :o)

[Narrator] (hm... a K: arcane check, I guess)

[Ilphere] (21)

[Narrator] (No idea - *something* just happened, but you're not sure what)

[Earric] Perhaps you're just feeling things you're not accustomed to.

  • Earric suggests.

[Ilphere] Perhaps...

[Ilphere] Yes, I guess so...

[Phedre] We should make sure to greet all our new guests, love.

  • Phedre reminds him.

[Earric] Of course.

[Earric] I'll see you again soon, I hope.

  • Ilphere nods slowly...
  • Earric and Phedre will move over to where Sanadhil and his make-out partner are.
  • Sanadhil is kind of keepin an eye out
  • Phedre and Earric will basically insinuate themselves into the cuddle puddle, unless you move away.
  • Sanadhil will not immediately, anyway
  • Earric will move to kiss you, in between the chicks trying to kiss you.
  • Sanadhil is somewhat hesitant :x

[Earric] Kiss me...

  • Earric suggests

[Narrator] (Will save!)

[Narrator] (but you get +2 to it)

[Sanadhil] (13 :p)

[Narrator] It seems very reasonable to kiss him. What harm could it do?

[Sanadhil] (I suppose!)

  • Earric kisses you deeply, his tongue pressing into your mouth.

[Narrator] (Will save!)

[Sanadhil] (14)

[Narrator] You feel strange - you taste blood, as though you'd bitten your tongue, but feel no pain.

[Narrator] You feel a strange bond with Earric.

[Phedre] Has this been as enlightening as you'd hoped?

  • Phedre whispers in your ear.

[Sanadhil] (during the kiss?)

[Sanadhil] (or after?)

[Narrator] (well, he's still right there, but hasn't got his tongue down your throat atm(

[Sanadhil] ....what are you?

[Narrator] (which one of them are you asking?)

  • Sanadhil asks mostly to Earric

[Earric] I'm your master.

  • Earric says with a smile.

[Sanadhil] No.

[Earric] It's worth it, believe me.

[Earric] There is so much more to it than this - you're clever, not like the others - you'll understand all, in time.

  • Ilphere drifts over to where Sanadhil is talking to the leaders.

[Sanadhil] What do you want?

[Earric] In time - you have so much time to learn. Be patient ;)

[Sanadhil] ...

[Sanadhil] for now...

[Narrator] The rest of the evening passes in something of a blur. Finally, at the sound of a gong, people begin to dress and drift away. Sanadhil and Ilphere can talk on their way home, if you wish, but I have to go on :)

[Sanadhil] (pick a channel, sas?)

Dominik and Ysabeau

[Narrator] Dominik and Ysabeau, you are left passing time at the Society's library. Most of the other members who were working seem to have gone home for the evening, leaving you with the place more or less to yourselves.

[Narrator] Since the day after the robbery, Vianca has confined herself to her quarters at the Hall, which she rarely uses otherwise, deeply involved in a lengthy spell which she said might help ascertain the nature of the necklace. No one is willing to disturb her to find out what, if anything, she's learned so far.

[Narrator] (Both of you, spot checks please)

[Dominik] (19)

[Ysabeau] (18)

[Narrator] Okay - both of you notice at the same time a large black rat skulking along the base of one of the shelves, heading in the direction of Vianca's offices.

[Dominik] Is that normal?

  • Ysabeau looks surprised.

[Dominik] (when you say large... how big?)

[Narrator] (like... larger than a normal rat, but not like... dog-sized big or anything.)

[Ysabeau] (Is it normal, Julia? I assume not. And does it look like anything I'd recognize from past experiences in sewers?)

[Narrator] (well, it's somewhat bigger than normal. Other than that, it looks like a regular rat, such as one might find in the sewers I guess.)

  • Dominik will stand, drawing his rapier from its oiled sheath.

[Ysabeau] (I meant, is it something we are used to seeing in the society HQ? ^-^ That's what I assume is abnormal for it)

  • Rat_ scuttles away from you.

[Ysabeau] Dominik, don't be too hasty!

[Narrator] You've never seen a rat in the Hall before.

[Ysabeau] It IS unusual...

  • Dominik narrows his eyes
  • Rat_ turns a corner around some shelves.

[Ysabeau] And they say House Rat can't turn into Rats anymore... but maybe..

[Ysabeau] We should follow it.

[Dominik] [w]I can at least chase it away from the books.

  • Dominik moves with surprising quickness and agility after the rodent.

[Narrator] Around the corner, you see no trace of it.

[Narrator] Listen check, please.

  • Ysabeau moves after Dom, bringing out her sap which she never goes anywhere without.

[Ysabeau] (7 for me :P)

[Dominik] (15)

[Narrator] Dom, you can still hear it moving along the base of the shelves, you think, but you can't see it.

  • Dominik will stalk forward trying to judge its position... hold a hand for ysabeau to stay back

[Narrator] Ysabeau, you can't hear or see it.

[Narrator] You think you could pinpoint it, Dominik - your guess it that it's invisible, but just near the centre of the stacks.

[Ysabeau] Can you see it still? i've lost it.

  • Dominik stabs the unseen rat

[Narrator] (what are you doing, Dom?)

[Ysabeau] Dominik!

[Narrator] Make an attack roll, then roll for your 50% miss chance

  • Ysabeau will aim a Flare very near to where Dom just stabbed.

[Dominik] (8)

[Narrator] You miss, but the ...creature seems to explode into another form - a tiny humanoid figure with bat-like wings, sharp horns, and a barbed tail. It flies at you.

  • Ysabeau will try to Flare it.

[Dominik] . o O(what the Void)

  • Imp attempts to sting Dom with its tail, but misses, swooping by his head.

[Narrator] Okay, you can try your Flare - ranged touch attack, I believe that is.

[Narrator] (oh, nm, I guess it's just a Fort save...)(

[Narrator] (what's the DC on that?)

[Ysabeau] (I'm trying to find it. I should write it down on my character sheet when I do)

[Narrator] (10+0+your attribute bonus)

[Ysabeau] ((14 then)

  • Imp fails, and flies into a bookcase, dazzled by the light.

[Imp] *thud*

  • Ysabeau dives after it to try to catch it.
  • Imp isn't unconscious, just flying blind, basically.
  • Imp flounders around, but it's headed generally up.

[Ysabeau] We have to catch it!

[Dominik] (how high is the ceiling?)

[Narrator] Dom, you can try to stab it again if you like, before it gets out of reach.

[Narrator] (High, like two stories.)

  • Dominik will try one more stab

[Ysabeau] (Is there stairs we can climb to an upper level or anything?)

[Dominik] (15 hit?)

[Narrator] No, it's just a two-storey room, no upper level to this part of the Hall.

[Ysabeau] (ok)

[Dominik] (If I miss, I will destiny reroll)

  • Ysabeau will start singing ( try to fascinate the imp to lure it back to me)

[Narrator] No, sorry, 15 misses.

[Narrator] (okay, try rerolling)

[Ysabeau] (Only he can't see me at the moment but that will wear off)

[Dominik] (sorry, my original roll is a 22... the first roll didn't go through)

[Narrator] Okay - 22 hits.

[Narrator] Roll damage.

[Dominik] (5 damage)

  • Imp flutters back toward Ysabeau and tries to sting her.
  • Ysabeau swats at it with her sap.
  • Imp 's tail barb catches you on the arm and stings you.
  • Ysabeau stops trying to fascinate it since that isn't going to work.

[Ysabeau] Ow!

[Ysabeau] Little brute!

[Narrator] 1 point of damage, and make a Fort save, please.

[Ysabeau] (11 on Fort save)

[Narrator] you take 3 points of Dex damage.

  • Ysabeau will try to hit it with her sap since it's the only weapon she is in the habit of carrying around with her.

[Narrator] Okay, roll to hit.

[Ysabeau] (bleah, 4 will be a miss)

[Narrator] (yep)

  • Vianca , attracted by the noise, emerges from her office.
  • Vianca takes in what is going on and shoots the little beast with a bolt of energy.
  • Imp falls motionless to the ground.

[Vianca] What is going on here?

  • Ysabeau pounces on it viciously.

[Ysabeau] It came in looking like a large rat. We tried to see where it was going!

[Dominik] Like I know? What is that thing?

[Ysabeau] Dom stabbed it and it turned into THIS!

  • Dominik sheaths his rapier

[Vianca] It looks like an imp... very strange.

  • Ysabeau holds the distasteful creature at arm's length, one hand gripping its tail firmly so if it wakes it can't sting anyone.
  • Verity comes into the library as well.

[Dominik] what is an imp doing here?

[Verity] Ysabeau :o

[Ysabeau] A necklace was stolen a few days ago!

  • Verity rushes over to you, stopping when she sees the creature in your hand.

[Verity] Are you all right?

  • Dominik will go over and take a look at Ysabeau's wound

[Ysabeau] Could this be related?!

[Ysabeau] Oh, hello Verity.

  • Verity half-shoves Dominik out of the way to get to Ysabeau.
  • Ysabeau smiles weakly at her, still holding the Imp.
  • Vianca will take the imp away from you, if you'll permit her.

[Verity] You're bleeding!

  • Ysabeau does.

[Ysabeau] It stung me.

  • Ysabeau explains to Verity.

[Verity] You should sit...

[Ysabeau] That's why I was holding its tail so if it woke...

[Narrator] Time for your second Fort save, Ysabeau.

[Ysabeau] I'm all right.

[Ysabeau] (14 this time)

  • Dominik will attempt an unskilled heal check to see if that is true

[Narrator] (okay, you make it - no further effects from the poison)

[Dominik] (11)

[Narrator] She's only very slightly wounded, but perhaps a bit unsteady on her feet.

[Ysabeau] It's just a little puncture...

  • Ysabeau smiles bravely.
  • Verity will get you to sit down, anyway.

[Dominik] Does there happen to be a cleric or a healer who is here?

[Verity] I can heal her...

[Dominik] (who is this Verity person?)

  • Verity will sing a brief song and heal your physical wounds - the poison's effects still remain, however.
  • Ysabeau acquiesces to Verity and sits down.
  • Ysabeau seems comfortable with Verity, if that helps any, Dominik.
  • Verity is a middle-aged, dark-haired woman - you don't know her.

[Vianca] Verity, did you have any success?

[Verity] Oh! I should be asking you the same thing.

[Ysabeau] I'm just a bit shaken, is all. It'll pass...

  • Vianca nods.

[Dominik] It looked like the rat was heading to that room you came out of, when we spotted it.

  • Dominik says to Vianca

[Vianca] No doubt...

  • Vianca says, eyeing the thing as she sets its remains aside for future study.

[Verity] I just paid a visit to Mr. Deverara, to see how he's faring.

[Ysabeau] Oh?

[Verity] He's much improved, thank the Centre, and he can remember some details of his attackers.

  • Ysabeau turns to Verity.

[Ysabeau] How *is* he?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Verity] He says they were guards. Not in uniform, but that was his impression nevertheless.

[Verity] One was a spellcaster, who commanded him to take them to the necklace. He felt he was unable to resist.

  • Vianca looks displeased at that.

[Vianca] I like this very little.

  • Ysabeau listens to her elders.

[Verity] And you?

[Vianca] Gods, I wish I'd done that when I had the blasted necklace in my hands. It would have been much easier, not to mention faster.

  • Dominik thinks maybe it was a good thing Ilphere wasnt here
  • Vianca says, sounding frustrated.

[Vianca] "The soul-eater's servant, bound against its will by a blessing under flames, is confined within the stone of black hope."

[Ysabeau] Blackhope? Like the Duchy?

[Verity] So what in the world does that mean?

[Vianca] I would say so, if the stone was reputedly owned by members of the Langevin family.

[Vianca] Reverend Mother Mayne also performed a divination on the subject, and her results were as follows:

  • Vianca reads from a small piece of paper that she had tucked up her sleeve.

[Vianca] "The star-crossed seek the key to the serpent's prison, while unknowing silence opens the door."

[Verity] Gods, I hate divinations.

  • Verity says crossly.

[Vianca] I need to do more research, and time is running out quickly. And this... thing, I can only assume was sent to try and interrupt me, or to find out what I'd learned.

  • Verity nods.

[Verity] Come, Ysabeau - let me take you home, so you can rest. It's late, and you look pale.

[Ysabeau] (Julia, any chance that my Owl-given ability of divine insight might help me figure out anything about the divinations)

[Narrator] (make a check :)

[Ysabeau] (24)

[Narrator] The serpent's prison may be the same as the 'confined within the stone of black hope', which would make the soul-eater's servant the serpent.

[Ysabeau] One moment, please - I have to get my books and notes.

  • Ysabeau looks pensive.

[Narrator] If the necklace is the 'stone of black hope', then there must be a serpent of some sort imprisoned within it.

[Ysabeau] Could it that the prison and the stone are the same thing?

[Vianca] It ... could be, yes.

[Vianca] Then that would mean...

[Vianca] Gods.

[Ysabeau] That the serpent and the servant are the same.

  • Vianca nods.

[Vianca] That may aid our research. Perhaps once you're rested, you can return tomorrow and help us further :)

[Ysabeau] I'd be honoured. :)

  • Verity will escort you home, then, and let you know she's proud of you.

[Narrator] Dominik, you're basically left standing around until Ilphere gets back around midnight.

  • Dominik will return to his book until Ilphere returns

[Altheo] (What about me and Seth returning? When does that happen in the timeline?)

[Narrator] (that would have been much earlier in the day - this is late in the evening, like 10pm or so.)

[Narrator] (If you wanted to return to talk to people, you can do that the following day - everyone but the nobs will probably be there ;)

  • Sanadhil would see her to the society if that's where she was meeting her chaperone

[Ysabeau] (Do my Dex points come back with sleep? Or will I have to get a Restoration?)

[Narrator] (yes, they return gradually, no restoration needed)

[Narrator] (So yes, anyone who wants to talk with other PCs and doesn't have to be at the council, I suggest you can chat ;)


The Imperial Election

[Narrator] The day of the election is finally at hand. The Hall of Worthies is once again filling with nobles, now more anxious, no doubt thinking of the events that occurred last time they gathered here. The steps are already lined with guards, and there are Levellers and other citizens in attendance, but thankfully there have been no outbreaks of violence - yet.

[Narrator] As you take up your assigned places in the Hall, there is a palpable sense of tension in the air.

[Narrator] The voting will be a more formal (and time-consuming) process than the nominations were. In order to ensure an accurate count, each member must stand and state their vote in turn, with the results being recorded.

[Altheo] (ok)

[Narrator] If no candidate achieves a majority of the vote, then the lowest-ranked candidate is dropped from the roster and the voting begins again, and this process continues until one candidate has at least fifty percent of the vote.

[Narrator] The order of voting begins with the House currently standing for election, in this case Wolf, and proceeds by rank and seniority through each House in turn.

  • Adrius_Armitage records the votes of each member as they speak.

[Narrator] So, beginning with Ilphere (well, after a bunch of other House Wolf nobles have voted already ;)

[Ilphere] (well, I vote for Marl.)

[Narrator] Alma?

[Alma] (How does House Owl vote as a whole?)

[Narrator] (It's pretty mixed - hard to get a sense of overall patterns. If there's a particular person you want to know how they voted, I can tell you - that goes for any of you, btw)

[Alma] (Actually it being pretty mixed is probably a good enough response, but you COULD tell me the dukes of Marignane and Montfaucon.)

[Narrator] (Marignane votes for Fredericia, Montfaucon goes for Marl.)

[Narrator] (voooooooooote)

[Alma] Marl Kizer

[Narrator] Guillame (well, Guillame's mother ;)

[Guillame] (I reckon Mom's going for Aden, and I'm happy with that)

[Narrator] (Okay)

[Narrator] (and the rest of you, just out of curiosity... :)

[Sanadhil] (I vote for Aden, san really wouldn't care.)

[Seth] (well, like I said, I'm an Argo, and we have to stick with our own. Plus it would be cool to have a friend in the Imperial Family. So, Marl it is!)

[Dominik] (Aden)

[Narrator] Ysabeau? Altheo?

[Altheo] (Aden)

[Sanadhil] (We know ys will vote Aden ;)

[Narrator] (true ;)

  • Adrius_Armitage stands, having tabulated the votes.

[Adrius_Armitage] No candidate has achieved a majority; therefore, Lavinie Rademacher, having two hundred and thirty-three votes, is removed from the list, with thanks for her service. Let the voting will begin again.

[Narrator] (I presume you will all vote the same way again ;)

[Ilphere] (marrrrl)

[Dominik] (yep...Aden)

[Sanadhil] (same, yeah)

[Ysabeau] (aden because marl is a bastard)

[Guillame] Yup

[Altheo] yup

[Seth] (yup)

  • Adrius_Armitage tabulates the votes *again*

[Alma] (Alma votes the same, for now.)

  • Sanadhil votes for the vak Andras's?

[Adrius_Armitage] No candidate has achieved a majority; therefore, Aden Olivier, having two hundred and eighty votes, is removed from the list, with thanks for his service. Let the voting begin again.

[Ilphere] (Marl!)

[Alma] Marl!

[Altheo] (ok, now I vote for Marl)

[Seth] (marl)

[Dominik] (fine marl)

[Sanadhil] (marl)

  • Ysabeau withholds her vote because neither remaining candidate is worthy.
  • Adrius_Armitage rises *again*, looking very weary.

[Adrius_Armitage] One candidate has achieved a majority. The new emperor of Aveyrone, with five hundred and fifty-one votes, is Marl Kizer.

[Narrator] There is a huge sigh, mainly of relief that the process is concluded, and a few ragged cheers.

[Guillame] (I reckon we're for hollow commitments over traditionalism ;) )

[Adrius_Armitage] The candidates will be brought from their seclusion directly to the Hall of Worthies, that they may hear the results for themselves.

  • Adrius_Armitage the Speaker and Chancellor perhaps only for a few more hours, will go to seek them, bearing the Disenchanter's Stone, an artifact of great power which impedes the function of magical spells and items within its area of effect.

[Narrator] This has traditionally been done to prevent the possibility of anyone contacting candidates magically, or of the candidates themselves attempting to divine the results of the election and possibly take action to affect them.

[Narrator] After the Chancellor departs, there is a period of quiet murmuring and slight tension, as you await the arrival of the candidates.

[Narrator] The candidates arrive, still wearing their plain, unbleached robes and otherwise unadorned. Their expressions vary from apprehensive to excited to simply tired.

  • Adrius_Armitage stays near them, holding what looks like no more than a fist-sized chunk of stone. His face is pale, as though the strain of carrying it is affecting him.

[Narrator] You cannot see item's effect, except that within the central circular area of the Hall, where the Inner and Outer Councils have their seats, the subtle magical lights wink out, leaving the area shadowed.

  • Adrius_Armitage steps into the central area, and suddenly all hell breaks loose.
  • Ilphere wonders what that rock is

[Narrator] A huge beast is suddenly in the centre of the Hall. It is winged and scaled, with vicious bone spikes jutting from its head and shoulders, ferocious claws and a mouth full of razor-sharp teeth.

[Narrator] Smoke rises continually from its form, and its eyes are an intense yellow, while its entire body shifts subtle in colour from black to red, orange, blinding white, as if it was covered in flowing molten stone. The stench of brimstone fills the air.

[Ilphere] !

[Wyrm] Well, this is interesting.

  • Wyrm says in the common tongue, its voice raspy and inhuman.

[Ilphere] (can I get a roll to identify it?)

[Narrator] (K: planes)

  • Wyrm flaps its mighty wings and struggles into the air.

[Alma] (16)

[Ilphere] (24)

[Narrator] It's evidently a dragon, Alma.

[Alma] :o

[Narrator] Ilphere, you think it's a dragon, but some sort of extraplanar creature as well.

[Ilphere] !!

[Narrator] Will saves for all who are there

  • Ilphere tries to take in all the details of its appearance!

[Ilphere] (15)

[Ilphere] (DC?)

[Narrator] (30)

[Dominik] (9)

[Ilphere] (lol.)

[Alma] (... 22)

[Guillame] (21 (natural 20))

[Narrator] (so, yeah, no point wasting a re-roll on that ;)

[Narrator] You're panicked, just like almost everyone else there.

[Narrator] A few casters direct attacks at the dragon, but more are using their powers to escape.

  • Wyrm heads straight for the domed roof of the hall, breathing a cone of flame at it before smashing straight through with its tremendous strength.
  • Wyrm soars upwards and then disappears from sight, as though it had never been.

[Ilphere] (what happened to the candidates?)

[Narrator] (fleeing, like everyone else, but it's hard to tell for certain)

[Narrator] Large flaming chunks of the ceiling collapse around you, sending people scattering in all directions.

  • Ilphere casts Mage Armor D:
  • Adrius_Armitage tries to maintain some sort of order, trying to get the Council to follow him, with limited success.
  • Alma drags Marielle behind her as fast as she can.

[Narrator] There is chaos outside the Hall of Worthies, for everyone awaiting the results of the election saw this beast erupt from the roof in flames and then vanish.

  • Alma casts Expeditious Retreat...

[Narrator] Those of you inside the hall manage to escape with only minor burns and scrapes.

[Narrator] It takes until the following day for events to calm sufficiently for a shaken Marl Kizer to be crowned and announced as Emperor to a stunned and frightened populace.

[Narrator] The End, for now...

Solos

Sanadhil and Altheo

[Sanadhil] (Does Altheo ever hang out much at the society of his own accord? Or would he be around much after the events of the last game for anything?)

  • Altheo is ready.
  • Altheo would be around more often as he is looking into the theft.

[Sanadhil] (even after the bit with the demon?)

[Sanadhil] 9well, regardless, ken

  • Sanadhil is around adecent amount of time anyway, as it is a nice place to study and clser than the castilia

[Altheo] (especially after the bit with the demon.

[Sanadhil] (keen)

  • Sanadhil will try and catch Altheo sometime where it is otherwise fairly quiet, then
  • Altheo will be having a drink then. sitting in a comfy chair.
  • Sanadhil comes into the library with a mug of some werd smelling tea, some papers under his arm, and nods when he comes in
  • Altheo nods back in a friendly way.
  • Sanadhil sets his stuff down on one of the tables, and glances over your way thoughtfully once before coming over

[Sanadhil] Good evening Mr Renauld

[Altheo] Good evening.

  • Altheo always seems to have a drink in his hand, but never really seems drunk.

[Sanadhil] You seem to be around the society quite a bit more, lately.

[Sanadhil] Are you still looking in to the theft of that necklace?

[Altheo] Somewhat. But it seems to be going slowly.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I suspect that the guard is somewhat preoccupied with other matters now, in any case

[Sanadhil] Still, it is convenient for me, there is a more business-related matter I wanted to ask you about.

[Altheo] How so?

  • Sanadhil glances sidelong around the room, as though to be sure no one slipped in while he wasn't looking
  • Altheo will glance around as well, just in case.

[Sanadhil] I'm looking to engage a girl, and I understand that your establishment has a fairly solid reputation.

[Altheo] It does in deep.

  • Altheo smiles proudly.

[Altheo] The Rutting Boar is one of the finest establishments in pearl.

[Sanadhil] (was that a purposeful deep or a typo? ;)

[Sanadhil] of course - I thought that having somethign of a personal connection with the proprietor couldn't hurt, either.

  • Sanadhil smiles also

[Sanadhil] I need someone I can be sure will be discrete, and careful.

[Altheo] I'd be happy to help you out.

[Altheo] And I've always shown the utmost discretion with the society memebers that use my establishment.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I figured as much

[Sanadhil] Thank you.

[Altheo] Any time.

[Sanadhil] I'm hoping to find one girl to stick with, i think... Is there a better time to come by and see them?

[Altheo] There are more of them working at night then during the day.

[Altheo] But if you get there too late, all the choicest ones will probably be taken.

[Sanadhil] That was what i meant, yes

[Altheo] I'd try around 9 or so for the best picks.

[Altheo] after that the drunken crowd starts to roll in.

[Sanadhil] I'll keep that in mind then

[Altheo] I'm glad your interested in my establishment. It shows very good taste.

[Sanadhil] (sense motive? ;p)

[Sanadhil] (21? ;)

[Altheo] (sec, looking up my bluff)

[Altheo] (good thing I allready leveled him.)

  • Altheo rolls [ 1d20 ], getting [ 3 ] and the total is... [ 3 ] ( Average: 3 )

[Altheo] (I get an 12)

  • Altheo seems sincere. He thinks very highly of his brothel.

[Sanadhil] Well, I do have high expectations, I'll let you know how it measures up to the hype.

[Sanadhil] Good evening, then, sir, if you dont' mind, i am going to return to my studies.

[Altheo] Good evening. Enjoy your studies.

  • Altheo says with a grin.

[Sanadhil] thank you :)

Sanadhil and Alma

  • Sanadhil wonders if anyone else will be here, but is secretly glad they aren't
  • Sanadhil has carefully picked a few things

[Sanadhil] Good afternoon countess

  • Alma looks up from where she's been sitting in the common room.

[Alma] Ah, hello M. Orecalo

[Alma] I trust you are well?

[Alma] :)

[Sanadhil] yes, thank you, and yourself?

[Alma] I am... though perhaps a bit unnerved.

[Sanadhil] I'm sorry to hear that.

  • Alma closes the book she was reading, it has dark looking characters scrawled around the outside of the book.

[Sanadhil] what have you been reading?

  • Sanadhil arches his brows, curiously
  • Alma shows you the cover "An Introduction to the Languages of Evil, A Novice's Guide to the Abyssal and Infernal Languages of

Outsiders"

[Sanadhil] ahh

[Alma] (If you have either, the characters are simply a translation of that title :P)

  • Sanadhil doesn't.... yet!

[Alma] A ... professional interest...

[Alma] Still... unnerving.

[Sanadhil] I would imagine

  • Alma sets the book aside.

[Sanadhil] A lot of poeple seem to have developed a keen interest in demons lately, but I suppose it isn't surprising

[Alma] Yes... it did rise a little in my priority list...

  • Alma pushes that all away.

[Alma] Well, we didn't come to mope about today, did we? :)

[Sanadhil] no indeed

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] I am very curious about your powers of divination

[Alma] I have to admit, I have been looking forward to this myself, M. Orecalo.

  • Sanadhil slides gracefully into a chair opposite Alma
  • Alma smiles, excitement breaking through a little.

[Sanadhil] I can see that!

[Sanadhil] I do have a few questions, if you don't mind

[Alma] It will be the first time I've had the opportunity to examine something

[Alma] (ignore that)

[Alma] Certainly :)

[Sanadhil] What kinds of information can you divine from reading objects?

[Alma] I learn mostly the basic details about the owner... whether they are a young man, or an old woman, to what House they belong if any.

[Alma] The only obscure detail is related to how they acquire or lose the item.

[Alma] I can sometimes tell that.

[Sanadhil] interesting

[Sanadhil] Did you discover the limits trough trial and error, or was it intuitive?

[Alma] Trial and error.

[Sanadhil] so it is possible that you might be able to learn other things ?

[Alma] The impressions came spontaneously, at first, when I thought about the items... I would suddenly know what I was wondering.

[Alma] It is possible... but if so, I must need to... discover something?

[Alma] I have tried other things, for example... finding out where the owner is, or who is in their family...

[Alma] Are they alive or dead?

[Sanadhil] I see...

[Sanadhil] and you can learn about previous owners as well?

[Alma] Yes, sorry, I left it out, but I believe I mentioned that talking about the necklace...

[Sanadhil] yes, I believe so

[Sanadhil] Is it more difficult?

[Alma] Yes, it takes more concentration to ... peer past the impressions of the current owner.

[Sanadhil] or is there a prerequisite - easier if you know how the next owner obtained it, for instance?

  • Sanadhil nods

[Alma] It was like that once, but now I can... focus beyond the current owner without focusing on him first.

  • Alma takes a moment to think.
  • Sanadhil is patient

[Alma] I'm just trying to think of how to explain it, but I'm not sure I can think of an analogy :)

[Alma] I think I have one :)

[Sanadhil] oh?

[Alma] If you come across a carriage in heavy mists, you may not realise it is a caravan until the other carriages have passed.

[Alma] Once I became more familiar with my ability, it was as if the mists partly cleared... so that I can see the other carriages vaguely in the distance, and if I wish to see who is in the third carriage, I may try to do so.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] that is a good analogy

[Sanadhil] well, then, I bought a few small items...

[Alma] :)

  • Sanadhil pulls out two green laquered hair clasps with silver inlay in the shape of a star, and a brass ink-pen

[Alma] I realise that I may not get any impressions from these that will be revelations to you, as they are your own, but I want to say I appreciate the opportunity... if you wish to test me another evening, with an assortment of things belonging to other people, I will try to make myself available :)

[Sanadhil] (three hair clasps, even, I don't know if you specified)

[Sanadhil] we'll see how things go!

[Sanadhil] I'm interested to see just what your power will say about me

[Alma] I usually cannot glean any information from more than three things, so perhaps I will examine your hair clasps.

[Sanadhil] me nods

  • Alma takes the nearest.

[Alma] First I will be trying to see whether I learn anything about your race :)

[Alma] That IS, after all, my biggest curiosity :)

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Alma will look it over, then pray to the Owl for Guidance.
  • Alma takes the hair clasp and turns to the side so she is not facing you quite so directly, and focuses on it
  • Sanadhil watches as unobtrusively as he can
  • Alma sits...
  • Alma turns it over in her hands...
  • Alma looks frustrated, but forces herself to calm down and concentrate.
  • Alma relaxes with a bit of a sigh...

[Alma] (Race? Sex? Age?)

[Sanadhil] (half elf, male, 22)

[Alma] It's funny how rewarding it can be to learn what I already know :)

[Alma] It's strange, because previously I would take for granted that the person I would be learning about would be human...

[Sanadhil] interesting

  • Alma seems perhaps like she might be at a loss for words.

[Sanadhil] so what did you learn then?

[Alma] The owner of this item is a young man, half human, half elven. :)

[Sanadhil] true enough :)

[Sanadhil] how precise it is in determining age?

[Alma] I would say... about my age?

[Alma] Twenty-two?

  • Sanadhil nods thoughfully
  • Alma looks at you, not really sure how to gauge your age.
  • Sanadhil smiles
  • Sanadhil looks like he is maybe 17
  • Alma considers...

[Sanadhil] I'm curious whether you could determine under what stars someone was born

[Sanadhil] its sort of a related questions

[Sanadhil] (-s)

[Alma] (Is this Aveyronnais? An Aveyronnais zodiac? Human astrology or elven?)

[Sanadhil] (up to you hpw you take it, I do't know the differences oog, though i suspect they exist - San can probably translate between the two if necessary)

[Alma] I'm not sure, M. Orecalo...

[Alma] I know some people talk about their birth in relation to the sky when they are born?

[Alma] Whether the Ox or the Owl is to the north, or south... ?

  • Sanadhil nods

[Alma] I don't know much about it, it doesn't have any scriptural foundation...

[Alma] At least, that I know of.

[Sanadhil] Cozovode take our realtionship to the stars more seriously

[Sanadhil] its more complex.... I was just curious if it was something you'd ever tried

[Alma] No, it isn't... I'm not sure it's something I could even know?

[Sanadhil] one way to find out, i suppose?

[Sanadhil] but perhaps another time, if you wanted to test other aspects of your power

[Alma] Well, I can try, to repay the favour :)

[Alma] Uh... what should I be looking for, exactly?

[Sanadhil] It is usually described in terms of sun signs, moon signs - it refers to what constellatios are dominant in the sky, and in relationship to other constellations...

[Alma] (And so the Astrobabble ensues? :P)

[Sanadhil] (yarr)

  • Sanadhil tries to keep it fairly simple
  • Alma will have you explain the signs in relation to the months, so she can have perspective...

[Alma] Alright...

[Alma] I'll give it a try for you :)

  • Alma will take another hair clasp and stand... "I'm just going to sit a bit further away. I don't think it matters really, but just to help me focus :)"
  • Alma steps over to another, comfortable chair a bit further away and sit with the clasp in her hands.
  • Alma prays to the Owl for Guidance and begins to focus
  • Sanadhil nods and lets her do her thing
  • Alma tries to focus on the celestial bodies when you were born...

[Alma] .oO( The moon... the stars... passing through the night sky... Sanadhil Orecalo... your starsign is... ... twenty two... )

  • Alma stands after a minute or two.

[Alma] It doesn't seem to be something I can learn, M. Orecalo. I felt I had good focus, but I just seemed to come back to your age.

[Alma] Perhaps I just don't have enough of a grasp on the idea, as a human?

[Sanadhil] possibly

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Sanadhil] Thank you for satisfying my curiousity, at least

[Alma] No problem :)

  • Alma sits down again and takes the third into her hands.

[Alma] Now I will see where you bought this :)

[Sanadhil] of course!

  • Alma prays to the Owl for guidance and focuses again... this time feeling confident enough that she does not turn away, and simply closes her eys.
  • Alma frowns...
  • Sanadhil is too pretty to allow you to concentrate well :V

[Alma] I lost it...

[Alma] :/

[Sanadhil] Ahh, that's unfortunate

[Alma] I should have tried to find that out first.

[Alma] I was just so eager to see how it felt to hold something belonging to a Cozovode.

  • Alma looks disappointed.

[Sanadhil] we could try again another day, perphaps

[Sanadhil] I could tell you, but that might spoil the fun?

[Alma] I would like that...

  • Sanadhil 's eyes flash with mischief

[Alma] I can't know if it's the truth unless I find out myself, can I ? :)

[Alma] Not that I question your truthfulness :)

[Sanadhil] there is that

[Sanadhil] I hope not!

  • Sanadhil be's mock affronted

[Sanadhil] I have an appointment at this time tomorrow, but we could meet earlier in the day, or in the evening... or another day, at your convenience

[Alma] Certainly, I will check with Marielle to see if I have any engagements I don't remember, and send you a message :)

  • Sanadhil nods

[Alma] (Anything more?)

[Sanadhil] Thank you, Countess.

[Sanadhil] (nah)

[Alma] I must drop by the Nine Elms to help with the evening meal. I hope to see you again soon, M. Orecalo :)

[Sanadhil] Likewise.

Ilphere and Sanadhil

  • Ilphere is chatting quietly with Sanadhil to (hopefully) avoid attracting Dominik's attention.

[Sanadhil] (what are we chatting about? ;)

[Ilphere] (crock pot recipes)

[Ilphere] (oh wait, the other thing. demons :V)

[Sanadhil] (hee!)

[Sanadhil] [q] have you noticed any lingering effects?

  • Ilphere shakes her head.

[Ilphere] [q] Non... I seem to be fine. you?

[Sanadhil] Maybe I'm just paranoid

[Sanadhil] I'd still like to know more about whatever powers he posseses

[Ilphere] Obviously it was a ... memorable thing, but I don't feel strange..

[Ilphere] Have they contacted you since?

[Sanadhil] no, but it hasn't ben so long

  • Ilphere nods.
  • Ysabeau spots Ilphere and Sanadhil, and looks around for Dominik.

[Ysabeau] What, no strapping lads with silver tongues today?

  • Ysabeau bounces up to the two of you.

[Sanadhil] Pardon?

[Ilphere] -_-

[Ilphere] Shhh.

  • Ysabeau looks around conspiratorially.

[Ysabeau] Oh, so he IS around?

[Ilphere] He is always around.

[Ysabeau] Well, there are worse things.

[Ilphere] Easy for you to say...

[Ysabeau] What are you two being so hush-hush about, anyway?

[Ilphere] Oh... rien...

  • Ilphere glances at San.

[Ysabeau] Ilphere de Quessenet, I don't believe you for a minute.

[Sanadhil] Private conversations are something of a luxury for you these days, i suppose.

  • Ilphere nods.

[Sanadhil] and it is hard to vent when the subject of your furstrations may be listening

  • Sanadhil says, qquietly again, with a glance in Dominik's direction, wherever he may be

[Sanadhil] I was just saying how I can't imagine having someoen follow me around everywhere...

[Ysabeau] Well, I can leave if you'd like to continue your private conversation.

  • Ysabeau looks a little hurt.

[Sanadhil] no, no... we should probably stop gossiping in any case

  • Sanadhil smiles
  • Sanadhil sounds slightly ashamed of himelf

[Sanadhil] How have you been, Ysabeau?

[Ysabeau] (SMing you to the ground! I am the new SM queen!)

  • Sanadhil continues in a friendly tone, less hushed

[Sanadhil] (gimme a sec)

[Ysabeau] I've been well.

[Sanadhil] (14 bluff :p)

[Ilphere] (17)

[Ysabeau] Well, well enough.

  • Sanadhil nods
  • Ysabeau eyes Sanadhil very briefly then shrugs it off.

[Ysabeau] Did you see the Serpent when it first appeared?

  • Ilphere nods.
  • Sanadhil blinks, the realizes the question must be directed to ilphere

[Ilphere] It was incredible.

[Ilphere] I have never seen anything like it.

[Ysabeau] I wish we'd figured it out sooner. :/

[Ysabeau] Who knows what it means now that it's free.

[Ilphere] It was supposed to be the herald, or the servant of something else?

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Sanadhil] it was?

[Ilphere] (wait, now I can't remember whether I know that in game or not)

[Ysabeau] (I don't have the log to tell you what it was)

[Sanadhil] (Cat asked - we have probably heard some fragments at last, around the society)

[Sanadhil] (We're a gossipy bunch!)

[Ysabeau] (You weren't around when I figured it out but by now it may be common knowledge?)

[Sanadhil] (sec C, I'll look it up)

[Ysabeau] Vianca's got me looking into things for her but I haven't had any luck making sense of anything yet. I wonder if I'll ever have time to practice my music again?

[Sanadhil] she's keeping you that busy?

[Ilphere] I am more fortunate... this wyrm may make an excellent paper for me

[Ilphere] Does she know what it is meant to serve?

[Ysabeau] Well, when a gigantic portent of probable evil breaks free into the world, other things tend to get pushed aside in the mad scramble to figure out how to remedy or at least mitigate the problem.

[Sanadhil] true...

[Ysabeau] If she does, she hasn't mentioned it to me. :/

[Sanadhil] it susprises me that she is still so heavily involved however - i think it would be more a matter for whoever your new emperor names as his chief sorcerr

  • Ysabeau replies to Ilphere's question.

[Ysabeau] As far as I know, she isn't involved in an official capacity.

[Ysabeau] It's just because it's tied to the necklace, which was in the Society's hands, however briefly.

[Ysabeau] She had been working on the necklace, and this is just a continuation of her researches.

[Ysabeau] No doubt if his imperial majesty ever gets around to appointing anyone, Vianca will be called on to brief the new officers.

[Ilphere] She knows more than most about the Arch...

  • Ilphere muses.

[Sanadhil] how is that?

[Ilphere] Well, she was alive when it was moved.

[Sanadhil] *nod*

[Ilphere] She has seen things first hand that are only written of in restricted books.

[Sanadhil] True enough... I keep forgetting her family connections

  • Sanadhil shakes his head

[Sanadhil] My grasp on the history surrounding the move of the arch is somewhat shaky, I admit.

[Ysabeau] Join the club.

  • Ysabeau smiles weakly.

[Ilphere] Well it is surprisingly poorly documented.

[Ilphere] As far as what is publicly available.

[Sanadhil] yes, that doesn't help

[Sanadhil] How is the investigation proceeding?

[Ysabeau] (You're asking me?)

[Sanadhil] (yes)

  • Ysabeau shrugs.

[Ysabeau] You overestimate my role in all this. I don't really know how it's going overall.

[Ysabeau] My part is going very slowly.

[Ilphere] I am just relieved that Marl was not seriously injured.

  • Ysabeau looks at Ilphere.

[Ysabeau] You're on a first name basis with the Emperor?

[Ilphere] Well, I know him, yes.

[Ilphere] I do not think I would call him such at court or anything...! But our times at the Castalia overlapped.

[Ysabeau] Ah.

[Ilphere] He is friendly to my family.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] . o O (He would be.)

[Sanadhil] I'd heard he was a Sorcerer

  • Ilphere nods.

[Sanadhil] but I don't know much more

[Ilphere] He gave up his research for politics... he could have advanced much further.

[Sanadhil] ahh well

[Sanadhil] Sorcerers are common enough, Emperor's les so

[Ilphere] I do believe he was the best choice...!

[Sanadhil] I suppose he could have return had his candidacy failed

[Ilphere] Yes, he mentioned that to me...!

  • Ilphere laughs lightly.
  • Ysabeau keeps her own counsel.
  • Ysabeau tucks a curl back behind the ear from whence it escaped.

[Sanadhil] Well, this is all giving me an interesting perspective in to Averyrone politics, in any case.

[Sanadhil] I wasn't expecting to observe through a chance of rules so soon

[Ilphere] I certainly was not expecting to be so involved!

[Ysabeau] Oh, well if you'd read any of our history you'd see the vast majority of our emperors don't last very long.

  • Ysabeau laughs, a little nervously perhaps.

[Ysabeau] I wouldn't want to be Empress for the world. I love life too much.

[Sanadhil] the previous ones seem to have all ruled for quite some time, I supposed I thought it was a trend

[Sanadhil] too soon, it seems

[Ysabeau] Back before Enzephir Dyess things were rather nasty, brutal and short.

[Ysabeau] And then Idaia wasn't around for long.

[Ilphere] How long did she rule?

[Ysabeau] Enzephir and Tristane were somewhat anomalous.

[Ysabeau] A mere 13 years, our Idaia.

[Ilphere] Sailing accident...

[Ilphere] :/

[Ilphere] At least that is less violent.

[Sanadhil] indeed

[Ysabeau] Well. I've probably had a long enough break... :/

[Ilphere] Good luck to you!

[Sanadhil] yes... and try not to neglect your other studies too much.

  • Sanadhil smiles
  • Ysabeau flashes a small smile back, then returns to wherever Vianca has her set up, her shoulders a little stooped. Her music is so important to her!

Sanadhil and Alma

  • Sanadhil will be waiting at the society, reading in the library
  • Alma will meet you at the Society one afternoon not long after our other visit.
  • Alma is dressed in her usual priestly robes, and carries nothing else with her today.

[Alma] Good afternoon, M. Orecalo :)

[Sanadhil] Good afternoon, countess

  • Sanadhil sets his book aside
  • Alma will find a seat near you.

[Sanadhil] How have you been

[Sanadhil] ?

[Alma] Well, if a bit busy :)

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Is the grand council's work over now?

[Alma] I'm getting back into gear at the Castalia, now that the business of succession is over.

[Sanadhil] ahh yes, classes.

[Sanadhil] I'd forgotten you were also a student, of sorts

[Alma] I'd like to remain one my whole life, I think... of some sort :)

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Alma] As for the Grand Council, yes, our business is done.

[Alma] (sec)

[Sanadhil] I feel the same way about my own studies - there is always something to improve on

[Alma] Aveyrone is in Emperor Kizer's hands now.

[Alma] Gods willing, it will be some time before the Great Council need meet again :)

[Sanadhil] (i'm pretty sue it's going to be emperor marl?)

  • Sanadhil nods

[Alma] (Yeah, I'm jus tseeing that now based on how the emperors are listed on the page)

[Alma] (Marl the first)

[Sanadhil] It is probably a good time to have a sorcerr on the throne

[Sanadhil] is that common, though?

[Alma] I'm not sure it is particularly uncommon?

[Alma] Now that I think about it, I can only think of Empress Myrtha?

[Alma] Sorcerors themselves are not particularly common, so perhaps that is reason enough?

[Sanadhil] True enough. I understad that there was a ruling made disallowing priests from taking the throne, I just wondered what the experience was for Sorcerers...

[Sanadhil] however - that might have been on account of the arch

  • Sanadhil says as though it it just occurred to him

[Alma] Pardon?

[Sanadhil] I wonder if that ruling will hold now that the council does the selecting? if it might be challenged at some point down the road?

[Alma] I don't see how the Arch would change that...

[Alma] It is assumed Emperor Maxence was concerned that too much power may fall to one soul?

[Sanadhil] well if some sort of evil extra planar entity were responsible for selecting the emperors, it might have tried to sway things to limit the potential of the clergy to discover its trur nature....

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] That is a valid reason, of course

[Alma] (I'm pretty sure Alma doesn't know about evil entities in the arch still... arrgh)

[Sanadhil] But I can see how someone might try to make a case for change in any case

  • Alma looks at Sanadhil, a little confused.

[Alma] What would an evil entity have to do with succession?

[Sanadhil] have you never heard that?

[Alma] Heard what?

[Sanadhil] The full details aren't available, but apparently the arch somehow contained some malevolent extraplanar being, and it influenced the selection somehow

[Alma] ...

  • Alma looks like she may be reading you...

[Alma] No, I have not heard anything of that nature.

  • Sanadhil doesn't have anything to hide in this respect

[Alma] Where did you hear this?

[Sanadhil] Miss de Quessenet is probably the one to speak to if you wanted to hear more - she's made a more concerted study of the arch.

[Sanadhil] but there is some information avaiable at the Castillia

[Sanadhil] and here...

  • Sanadhil lists a few revelant titles that mihgt have some relevant information

[Alma] So you've spoken of this with Mlle deQuessenet? She's aware of it?

  • Alma looks uncomfortable to be unable to dismiss you out of hand.

[Sanadhil] As I said, she's more expert than me in the matter.

[Alma] Well... Maxence was a priest himself.

[Sanadhil] I'm sorry, I didn't mean to distress you - I forgot that it isn't such a well known fact

[Sanadhil] . o ( yes, a priest who accepted power form an evil extraplanar entity.... )

[Sanadhil] Perhaps we should get down to our less troubling business?

  • Sanadhil smiles again

[Alma] That sounds like a good idea :)

[Sanadhil] here then

  • Sanadhil produces a silver ring
  • Alma will look to see what you have brought today.

[Sanadhil] or, hmmm

[Sanadhil] maybe save that for later, it is sightly more interesting

[Alma] Oh?

[Alma] A test perhaps? Something belonging to someone else? :)

  • Sanadhil smiles mysteriously, and produces one of the laquer hair clasps from last time
  • Alma accepts it.

[Alma] So first, I will find out where you shop.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] a long way from here, I'm afraid :/

[Alma] Ah, well... perhaps it will show me directions :)

[Sanadhil] west

  • Sanadhil says with a wink
  • Alma prays to the Owl for guidance before holding the clasp in her hands with her eyes closed as she concentrates.

[Alma] Not a gift, then, a purchase.

  • Alma looks to see you confirm.

[Alma] A jeweller.

[Alma] And as it is still yours, you have not lost it :)

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] not unless you plan to keep it, no :)

  • Alma smiles, realising this isn't a particularly spectacular show.

[Alma] Did you bring one of the others?

  • Sanadhil nods, and sets the mate down on the table

[Alma] I'm curious to see if it might say anything about your House.

[Alma] Do you know if your ancestor was from the Empire?

[Sanadhil] its hard to say

[Sanadhil] I suspect so.

  • Sanadhil says, perhaps sounding a bit wary
  • Alma will repeat the process with the other clasp.

[Alma] Fascinating...

  • Alma says as she opens her eyes and sets the clasp down.
  • Alma looks at it, and then you, pensively.
  • Sanadhil raises his brows curiously

[Sanadhil] what did you divine?

[Alma] I have examined items belonging to Aveyronnais which tell me they are Houseless... but for you it seems to say, instead, that you are of No House.

[Alma] I am not entirely sure what significance that is.

  • Sanadhil considers

[Sanadhil] it seems logical eough to me

[Sanadhil] I don't subscribe to your religious beliefs, after akll

[Sanadhil] I wasn't raised with your gods.

[Sanadhil] They have no particular claim on me

[Alma] Indeed, perhaps it is simply a sign that your spirit is in other hands.

[Sanadhil] . o ( HA! )

[Sanadhil] reliable ones, I'm sure.

  • Sanadhil says with perfect confidence
  • Alma considers.

[Alma] This, I think, poses more questions than it answers :)

[Sanadhil] oh?

[Alma] Well, you are in an Empire founded by their followers. Some who might attribute sterner motives to the Gods might expect them to lay a sort of claim to you anyway...

[Alma] Of course, it doesn't really SAY anything to this...

[Sanadhil] sterner motives?

[Alma] Some see the Gods as seeking dominion over our lives... if that were so, wouldn't they also seek dominion over yours?

[Alma] If instead, they are motivated to guide us through life to a sublime end... would they not also seek to guide you?

[Sanadhil] ahh.

[Sanadhil] Well, seeking is different then claiming?

[Alma] Of course!

  • Sanadhil tries to think of how to express the fact that he is anti theistic without being really insulting to the nice priest lady

[Sanadhil] is that your point?

[Alma] There is no mistaking the difference between the lash and the crutch.

[Sanadhil] I admit I would be resistant to the idea of being 'claimed' by any god.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Alma] Were your spirit in peril, would you not appreciate help from the wise?

[Sanadhil] That depends on the cost

[Alma] Perhaps.

[Alma] I can think of reasons for what I sense for both situations...

[Alma] If the Gods truly are jealous, perhaps the way of your spirit is jealous too?

[Alma] If you believed in ... elven gods, perhaps?

[Sanadhil] the Cozovode reject all gods.

[Alma] But otherwise, perhaps the Gods do not feel they are needed in your life.

[Alma] Reject?

  • Sanadhil be's diplomatic, trying to expain rather than be too haughty about it

[Sanadhil] yes.

[Alma] Do you ... deny their existence?

[Sanadhil] we acknoledge their power certainly - but we value the freedom of our own spirits above the cost of their .... guidance

[Alma] Cost?

[Sanadhil] I must apologize - I'm not a priest, it is difficult for me to express, perhaps

[Alma] I understand...

[Sanadhil] I suppose their perceived superiorty doesn't give them the right to presume to now what is the best course for us?

[Sanadhil] There are other ways in which mortal spirits can find guidance - from within- and tap into 'divine' powers.

[Alma] Perhaps it does?

[Alma] I suppose that if your people have found the way to

[Alma] (wipe that)

[Alma] Perhaps that is what I was talking about... that the Gods do not seek to guide you because you have the tools to move on beyond death?

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] yes, that would make sense

[Alma] Our souls are reborn in the Cycle, moving towards the Centre. When we die for the last time, our souls join the One God, and exist in bliss.

[Alma] The Gods provide the path towards the Center. Without it, we could be lost in the Void, or who knows?

[Sanadhil] indeed

[Alma] I know that it could perhaps be easy to mistake the Church for the Gods, M. Orecalo.

[Sanadhil] How do you mean?

  • Sanadhil listens with patient attention, aleady knowing that whatever Alma says, it isn't going to change his mind about either.

[Alma] It's not just Cozovode who value their freedom. There are Aveyronnais... good people... who chafe at the idea of being forced. While the Church may have edicts, and rules, even we must admit that it is not perfect.

[Alma] In the past two generations, the Church has seen change that would have seemed perhaps unthinkable to the generation before that.

[Alma] Thanks to Matriarch Pasith

[Alma] Once, her words would have been considered Heresy.

[Alma] It is possible to follow the Gods' path to the Center without the Church. It's just harder :)

[Alma] (Bah...tired...whatever :P)

  • Alma theobabbles warmly some more and then looks where you hid the ring?
  • Sanadhil is wearing it, actually

[Alma] Now what should I try to find out about the ring?

[Alma] ;)

[Sanadhil] This is a piece that comes to me second, or possibly even third hand, I'm not sure precisely

[Sanadhil] it's quite old

[Sanadhil] But I tought you might be interested to see what you can learn about owners further back.

[Alma] That is the sort of thing I joined the Society to do :)

  • Sanadhil passes it over

[Sanadhil] I thought you might relish the opportunity

[Alma] Will it be new to you as well, or do you know the answer so I don't seem to be just making it up? :)

  • Alma accepts it.
  • Alma admires it briefly

[Sanadhil] (the ring is a bit worn, especaily on the band, but still exquisit craftsmanship)

[Sanadhil] I know some details

[Sanadhil] about the more recent owner, in any case

[Alma] It is now yours?

  • Sanadhil nods

[Alma] Do you know how *they* acquired it?

  • Sanadhil shakes his head
  • Alma looks it over while she decides what to concentrate on.
  • Alma prays to the Owl for Guidance and begins to concentrate.

[Alma] It was inherited, perhaps and heirloom. They sold it to you when they fell upon hard times?

[Alma] (and =an)

[Sanadhil] ahh...

[Sanadhil] I half thought it was stolen at the time

[Alma] The price was not what it should have been?

[Sanadhil] possibly not :/

[Alma] I can try another day to confirm details about the owner... perhaps if you wear the ring regularly we may cross paths here in the next few days :0

[Alma] :)

[Sanadhil] perhaps I shall do so then!

[Alma] We can hope his luck has changed, if nothing else :)

[Alma] Or hers...

[Sanadhil] indeed...

[Sanadhil] I'm afraid I mus excuse myslf now, however. I have to meet a student in an hour and I need to prepare. Thank you again Countess.

[Alma] And you, M. Orecalo :)

[Alma] [cozovode] Be well :)

  • Sanadhil smiles more broadly

[Sanadhil] [C] And you as well.


Dominik and Ysabeau

The first bit of this log was lost unless Terry logged it because I forgot to, and then I kept getting disconnected. Basically they were sparring together since they both use rapiers.

[Dominik] I've got strength and reach on you... keep using your speed...

  • Ysabeau mimics your stance and tries to get a strike in on you.

[Ysabeau] I'll say you've got reach! You're like twice my height!

  • Dominik quickly deflects the blow and uses the opportunity to step into Ysabeau
  • Ysabeau laughs.
  • Dominik looms over her

[Dominik] In a fight, this isnt where you want me to be... so what do you do?

  • Dominik will put his free hand on Ysabeau's shoulder.
  • Ysabeau makes a feint towards your crotch with her free hand formed into a fist. She misses purposefully, not wanting to injure you, and tries to dart out of the way while bringing her sword up in an effort to block an attack of opportunity from you.

[Ysabeau] Fight dirty!

  • Dominik laughs
  • Ysabeau grins impishly.
  • Dominik lets her pull away

[Dominik] just make sure your not trying to punch a codpiece

[Ysabeau] (You're not wearing one right now, are you?)

[Dominik] but thats what you need to do... whatever you can to maneuver to range to keep the fight to your strengths, not mine.

[Dominik] (not that you can tell)

[Dominik] Something else you can try is to attack low, especially against taller opponents, just don't throw yourself too far off balance.

[Ysabeau] What about tripping you? I'm short so maybe my leverage would be good? Or at least my centre of balance is lower than yours.

[Ysabeau] But I'm not sure how to do it - I've seen others but it all happens so fast!

[Dominik] thats an option if you are forced in close, but its risky too.

[Dominik] I've been working on being able to sweep in for the trip against an armed opponent... trying to decide if I like that strategy, but I haven't worked out the best way to do so without leaving myself too open.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] How would it work if I did want to try it? Can you show me?

[Dominik] It leaves you very open. Anyone who knows what they're doing will be able to get a good strike at you as you move in.

[Dominik] It might work if your fighting someone without a weapon.

  • Dominik thinks
  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] It would be good to know how to fight without a rapier too!

[Ysabeau] In case I get disarmed.

  • Dominik nods in agreement

[Dominik] I've read about unarmed fighting skills... the previous warlord was said to be skilled in such types of fighting skills.

[Dominik] I haven't had much practice in it.

[Ysabeau] Oh well then, I'll have to ask someone else about teaching me that, then!

  • Ysabeau smiles.
  • Dominik shrugs

[Ysabeau] Back to rapiers, shall we, or would you like a break?

[Dominik] Thats enough for now.

  • Ysabeau looks a little disappointed. She seems to be pretty energetic! ^-^
  • Dominik will walk over to where he set his chain shirt and real rapier down.

[Ysabeau] Very well, some other time, then. :)

  • Dominik nods

[Dominik] You're skilled enough that you can defend yourself

  • Ysabeau returns to her own pile of things, where she unties the knot in her skirts and steps back into her petticoats, which she had taken off in order to be able to fight. (Stupid big D2 dresses!)

[Dominik] did you learn it on your own?

[Ysabeau] Oh, no...

  • Ysabeau glances over her shoulder at you.

[Ysabeau] I wish I had - then I'd have learned it much earlier.

[Ysabeau] . o o (When I really could have used it...)

  • Dominik nods

[Ysabeau] My friend - well, he's a guard who used to patrol in the area I grew up in, and he became a friend - he taught me.

[Dominik] You should tell him he did a good job.

  • Dominik removes his vest to slip the heavy chainlink shirt on
  • Ysabeau flushes with pleasure at the compliment.

[Ysabeau] I will! Maybe you could meet him sometime. He often is at the Dreaming Demon right across from the Society HQ.

[Dominik] Dreaming Demon?

  • Dominik comes over to collect the practice sword

[Ysabeau] The tavern? Right across from where we hold our meetings.

  • Ysabeau clarifies kindly.

[Ysabeau] His mother owns it.

[Dominik] right. I'll have to remember such a convenient local.

[Ysabeau] Yeah, you can run out to get a drink when we bore you to tears.

  • Dominik chuckles

[Dominik] History does interest me... maybe not the way some people delve into it.

[Ysabeau] What do you like learning about most?

[Dominik] Several things... nothing specific

  • Dominik says dismissively

[Dominik] I did enjoy the book you had found for me.

  • Dominik changes the subject
  • Ysabeau notices but doesn't press you.

[Ysabeau] Oh? I'm glad. :)

  • Dominik idly wraps up the practice swords.
  • Ysabeau is curious why you can't talk about what interests you, though.

[Ysabeau] Here, let me help you with that...

[Dominik] There is no need

[Dominik] It gives me something do while waitin for Ilphere.

[Ysabeau] Yeah, I guess so...

[Dominik] As this little practice session was.

  • Dominik smiles

[Ysabeau] You don't really like guarding her, do you.

[Dominik] Its a means to an end

[Ysabeau] But you're her cousin, right?

[Dominik] and it's better than other options.

  • Dominik nods

[Ysabeau] Doesn't that mean you're a nobleman too?

  • Dominik nods again

[Dominik] I am a Rademacher... they're... known.

[Ysabeau] So... why are you her bodyguard? You should have a bodyguard yourself, my lord. ;)

  • Ysabeau never addresses you as my lord, generally.
  • Dominik frowns

[Dominik] my name is Dominik, don't call me your lord, I'm not anyones lord by my own...

  • Ysabeau doesn't mean anything nasty by it, she is just genuinely curious.

[Dominik] as to why I don't have bodyguards... for one I don't need them... and its complicated.

  • Ysabeau looks taken aback by your unexpected reaction, and rather ashamed that she unknowingly seems to have touched on a nerve.

[Ysabeau] Oh - I'm sorry, Dominik. I didn't mean anything by it. It was just something I've been wondering about since I met you.

  • Dominik seems to calm a little

[Dominik] You couldn't have known. No need to appologize.

[Ysabeau] I mean, all the nobles I've met before seem to have someone hovering around them, so it seemed odd - and interesting - that you don't.

  • Sanadhil is walking by the courtyard, seemily a little lost in thought

[Ysabeau] Oh! There's Master Orecalo now!

  • Dominik glances up at the bystander

[Ysabeau] So Ilphere must be done with him.

[Dominik] I was hoping to get a chance to meet him. Do you know him?

[Ysabeau] So... where is she now? She does tend to get absorbed in things easily....

[Ysabeau] Hmm? Oh! Yes.

[Ysabeau] I know him, he's been teaching me Cozovode.

[Dominik] lets interupt him then

[Ysabeau] Sanadhil!

  • Dominik will stand and approach Sanadhil
  • Ysabeau calls, approaching the half-elf.
  • Sanadhil looks over

[Ysabeau] Hello!

[Sanadhil] Good afternoon, Ysabeau

[Ysabeau] How are you?

[Ysabeau] This is Dominik Rademacher - he is Ilphere's cousin, and he wanted to meet you!

[Sanadhil] Well enough, yourself

[Ysabeau] I'm well, thank you.

[Dominik] hello... Master Orecalo?

[Ysabeau] We've been practicing at rapiers together.

  • Ysabeau says by way of explanation.

[Sanadhil] Ahh, yes, she's mentioned you. A pleasure.

[Dominik] she's mentioned you as well

[Dominik] I hope you've been keeping her good company.

  • Ysabeau seems especially bursting with life and excitement today

[Sanadhil] ...

[Sanadhil] (SM?)

[Dominik] (what are you trying to figure out?)

[Sanadhil] (are you implying somethig there?)

[Sanadhil] The project we're working on seems to be coming along well enough.

[Dominik] (vague impropriety implications, but nothing threatening really)

[Dominik] I'm glad to hear that.

  • Dominik smiles

[Dominik] she seems quite dedicated to her work with you.

  • Ysabeau shifts from foot to foot impatiently.

[Sanadhil] She is very devoted to all her studies, I believe.

[Ysabeau] I'll say!

[Ysabeau] Sometimes that girl worries me.

[Sanadhil] I left her in the library.

[Ysabeau] [m] Well, I'm not really one to talk, I guess.

[Dominik] I just want you to know that I want her to stay quite healthy while studying... try not to work her too hard.

  • Ysabeau eyes Dominik.

[Ysabeau] (SM - does he think Ilphere is sleeping with Sanadhil, seriously?)

  • Sanadhil gives Dom a disapproving look

[Dominik] (he defintely thinks there is something up with their relationship)

[Sanadhil] I assure you She is at no risk of any ill-health from me.

  • Ysabeau tries to suppress some giggles but isn't successful; she bursts into gales of laughter.
  • Dominik looks at Ysabeau

[Dominik] whats so funny?

[Ysabeau] Dominik... Sanadhil is the most honourable tutor on campus. Even though he's got female students practically THROWING themselves at him, he values his career too much to engage in such activities, I believe.

[Sanadhil] o_O

[Sanadhil] Miss Chanuier!

[Ysabeau] I'm sorry, Sir... but it's true. I hear many of my classmates gossiping about you all the time.

  • Dominik is a little caught off guard by the comment... but then laughs himself.

[Ysabeau] They think you're exotic.

[Ysabeau] And they wonder whether elves are any different from human men.

[Sanadhil] That's hardly an appropriate conversational topic.

  • Dominik laughs even more

[Ysabeau] Obviously, you haven't spent much time socializing with your students.

  • Ysabeau grins.

[Dominik] ....stop... please...

  • Sanadhil frowns

[Sanadhil] Clearly I've been spending *enough*.

  • Sanadhil says somewhat cooly.

[Sanadhil] Goodday to you both.

[Dominik] Good day Master.

  • Dominik says gasping for breath.
  • Sanadhil inclines his head with forced politeness and will glide away

[Ysabeau] Good day, sir...

  • Ysabeau isn't laughing or even smiling anymore.
  • Ysabeau sighs.
  • Dominik turns to Ysabeau

[Dominik] You're full of surprises.

  • Ysabeau gives you a half-smile. She feels bad for having offended her tutor, even though it's only the truth.
  • Ysabeau wasn't laughing like Dom was.

[Ysabeau] You don't know the half of it...

  • Ysabeau says, her heart not really in it anymore.

[Ysabeau] Well.

  • Ysabeau tries to recollect herself.

[Dominik] I probably don't.

[Ysabeau] If I don't get kicked out of his classes I guess I'll be grateful.

[Dominik] You wont get kicked out.

[Dominik] All you did was ruffle a few feathers. He'll have forgotten about it in an hour.

[Ysabeau] I didn't think he'd actually take it that way...

[Ysabeau] I was trying to defend him against YOU, sir, but... I didn't do it so well.

  • Ysabeau smiles a little ruefully, trying to regain her earlier good cheer.

[Dominik] I'm not use to people being that open and direct. It's surprisingly refreshing.

[Ysabeau] Unfortunately for me, I'm only too used to people couching everything they say in, shall we say, diplomatic terms?

[Dominik] When you grew up living and breathing it, its hard to stop.

[Ysabeau] I suppose it would be.

[Ysabeau] Thank goodness for me, I didn't. ^-^

  • Dominik nods in agreement

[Ysabeau] It can be fun to try to figure out what all the nobs are really saying but it can get tiresome too.

[Dominik] I'd like to spend time with you... outside of sparing and histories and noble intrigues.

[Ysabeau] [m] Oh, sorry... I keep forgetting the company I'm keeping - Oh?

  • Dominik says directly
  • Ysabeau is distracted from what she is saying and scrutinizes you. Do you mean just as friends? (SM if needed)

[Dominik] (he seems attracted to you, of course, hes a 17 year old boy...but that is not all of it)

[Ysabeau] Well, I enjoy making new friends - they're the family you choose, you know - so I'd be proud to call you one.

  • Dominik nods

[Dominik] sometime then

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Dominik] I need to be going. Until then

[Ysabeau] Well, when I'm not raising my younger sister, in classes, doing homework, at Society meetings, music practices, or gigs, or otherwise engaged, I'm free as a bird.

[Dominik] well just have to see how it plays out

  • Ysabeau nods.

Ysabeau and Sanadhil

  • Ysabeau seeks out Sanadhil very soon after Dominik took his leave of her.
  • Ysabeau feels horrible for having offended. ;_;
  • Sanadhil has retreated to a disused classroom where he often hosts his tutorials
  • Ysabeau taps on the door (doorframe if the door is open) tentatively. She looks pale and anxious.
  • Sanadhil looks up at the knocking

[Ysabeau] Sir? I owe you an apology. It was just so preposterous, what he was saying, I couldn't beleive what I was hearing, and then I tried to defend you but it came out all wrong.

[Sanadhil] Ahh.

[Sanadhil] please come in miss Chanuier

[Ysabeau] I have a lot of rough edges to grind out, I mean, that's partially why I'm here...

[Ysabeau] And I'm so, so very sorry for having offended you.

[Ysabeau] Oh? Really?

  • Ysabeau steps inside cautiously and still terribly anxious about having offended you.
  • Sanadhil considers

[Sanadhil] I appreciate that you were attempting to defend against his absured insiuations...

  • Ysabeau wrings her hands, anxiously awaiting her judgment.

[Sanadhil] but do you understand why I took offense?

[Ysabeau] I... assumed it was because you thought I was mocking you...?

[Sanadhil] no.

  • Sanadhil smiles somewhat.

[Sanadhil] I realize that was not your intention.

[Sanadhil] Bt please consider. There are reasons that I strive to maintain a certain leve; of formality with my students.

  • Sanadhil slightly emphasizes reasons
  • Ysabeau nods, chastised.

[Sanadhil] I don't want people formulating just the same sort of unfounded speculations as Mr Rademancher.

[Ysabeau] Sir, I understand that, I truly do.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Ysabeau] But have you ever considered that maintaining an air as formal as you do might actually work at cross-purposes to your goal?

[Sanadhil] At this stage, Miss Chanuier, I feel that ti is what will serve me best.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I understand.

[Sanadhil] Thank you.

[Ysabeau] But at the same time, I know these girls, because I am their peer and in some cases, their friend. And honestly, I think it's precisely because no-one DOES know much about you that a lot of your students find you mysterious, which leads to speculations and... other things.

[Ysabeau] Just so you know...

[Ysabeau] It might be something to think about...

  • Ysabeau peters off, not certain about the propriety of offering advice to an instructor.

[Sanadhil] Thank you for your opinion, but I'm affraid I am a rather private person by nature - formality or not.

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] Yes, sir.

[Ysabeau] I am sorry, sir.

[Sanadhil] Your apology is accepted, just pelase try and have more respect for my boundaries in the future - especially on campus

[Ysabeau] Yes, sir.

[Sanadhil] Thank you.

[Ysabeau] Dominik meant well... he takes his responsibility to look out for Ilphere seriously. Rather too seriously, perhaps.

[Sanadhil] Indeed

  • Sanadhil shakes his head
  • Sanadhil also isn't sure he really meant well

[Sanadhil] In any case, I appreciate your sentiment.

  • Ysabeau smiles a little since it doesn't look like she'll be expelled, for the moment.

[Ysabeau] Well, anyway, thank you for listening to me.

[Ysabeau] You probably have many things to attend to... I should probably go home and cook something for Murienne and I, anyway.

[Sanadhil] very well - have a good evening.

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Ysabeau] You too, sir.

  • Ysabeau curtseys and starts to turn away, then pauses, but thinks better of whatever she might have been about to say, and continues on her way.