Diablotin 2 session 3

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 2 session logs
Previous Session 3 Next

Summary

Session

Session date:
Diablotin date:

Prologue

[Narrator] The city of Diablotin is still reeling from the shock of yesterday's attack. Official reports are claiming twelve members of the crowd were killed, and many more injured. Some condemn the Levellers for their presumption or foolishness, but others see them as victims of reactionary authorities.

[Narrator] The Imperial Herald, naturally enough, deplores the violence but promises that the meetings of the Great Council will continue as planned, and that its members will not allow themselves to be swayed by the mob's demands.

[Narrator] The Sentinel of Freedom releases one of its sporadic pamphlets, containing accounts from anonymous Levellers who describe the riot in all its horror, and make dark references to some of their number being rounded up by the guards and taken away for questioning.

[Narrator] Meanwhile, the Oracle features interviews on both sides of the struggle, including a guard (quoted under the promise of anonymity) who claims that they were ordered to shoot if the Levellers got out of hand, and a few words from a tearful Thea Vermillion, who simultaenously apologizes to the families of the victims and vows that her followers will continue their struggle.


Guillame and Silvia

[Narrator] We'll begin with Guillame.

  • Silvia comes to your room in the early hours of the morning, just after the sun is up.

[Guillame] Good morning, Silvia

  • Silvia is twelve years old, still quite short for her age, with long wavy red hair. The tinted spectacles that she almost always wears are in her hands, and she is cleaning them before putting them on for the day.

[Silvia] Guillame, can I talk to you?

  • Guillame smiles reassuringly

[Guillame] Sure, what is it?

[Silvia] Alesia's acting awful. More than usual. And I had a bad dream, but I don't want to talk to her about it.

[Guillame] Well ok - lets hear it

[Silvia] There was this huge black...snake, I guess, coiled in a circle, biting its own tail.

[Silvia] It didn't move, so I wasn't too afraid of it, but I looked down and in the middle there was the city, as if I was looking at it from very high up...

[Guillame] Wow...

[Silvia] And everything was burning, but the flames were ...dark, somehow.

[Narrator] She looks up at you from her polishing of her lenses, and for a moment you can almost see the vision she speaks of in the pupil of her left, clouded eye - a dark circle with a flickering at the centre.

  • Guillame is chilled
  • Silvia blinks, putting on her glasses.

[Silvia] I couldn't get back to sleep - I've been up for hours.

[Guillame] That sounds pretty scary, Silvia. Was there anything else in it?

[Silvia] I don't think so. I don't remember anything else.

[Guillame] Do you think it means anything?

[Silvia] I don't know.

[Guillame] Well, I shouldn't worry about it too much - we all have bad dreams from time to time. Sometimes they can help you think things through, or just show you things that you're worried about, and other times they're nothing.

[Guillame] So, what kind of awful is Alesia being now?

[Silvia] She's refusing to let the maid do her hair. She says it's frivolous.

  • Guillame chuckles

[Silvia] I think it's stupid to put up such a fuss over it. What does it matter?

[Guillame] She's right, you know - but it's still good to keep yourself looking nice. It helps people feel at ease.

[Silvia] I suppose. She makes it into so much more of an issue than it should be.

[Silvia] It's sort of... frivolous, really.

  • Silvia says with a little smile.

[Guillame] I guess she doesn't realise that its funny or upsetting to us when she makes a fuss.

[Guillame] I prefer to think its funny

[Silvia] Well, it sort of is, except that I have to share a room with her and listen to her complain all the time.

[Silvia] It's sort of a relief to go to class.

[Guillame] Well, it *is* tiresome when she goes on about things - I think that occasionally she's right about something or other that Dad would have done, but most of the time I think she really means "I think we should"...

  • Silvia nods.

[Silvia] I hope she gets married soon and moves away :p

  • Guillame stifles another chuckle

[Guillame] Still, she's your big sister, and... well, I hardly need to tell *you* to be good, do I?

[Silvia] She can marry some scholar who doesn't care if her hair's a mess.

[Guillame] I wonder if she'd like that? She might, you know.

[Guillame] How's the temple work going?

[Silvia] It's good, I guess.

[Silvia] I don't think they know very much about Rat, though.

[Silvia] Well, in the general classes, anyway.

[Guillame] Maybe mother would let you have some special lessons with a priest of Rat? I could ask her for you, if you like?

[Silvia] I'm supposed to finish these lessons first - next year, if I'm good, I move on to study with one of our Order's priests.

[Silvia] So hopefully they'll have a better idea what they're on about.

[Guillame] Well in that case, I'd learn everything you can about the other Gods while you have the chance. It's always useful to know about other peoples beliefs and customs - it helps you to understand them, too.

  • Silvia nods.

[Silvia] Sister Margaret's voice is like a saw, too. :p

[Guillame] Heh! That sounds terrible! Is she dull, too?

[Silvia] She's all right, other than her voice.

[Guillame] There was a lecturer at the Society like that. His lectures were really interesting, when I could make myself listen

[Silvia] That's it.

[Silvia] Well, I should get going... Have a good day :)

[Guillame] Thanks! I should get started, I suppose

[Silvia] Oh, and thanks for listening.

  • Silvia says as she leaves.

[Guillame] No problem

  • Guillame waves
  • Guillame wonders if anyone at the society knows much about dreams

Alma and Society people

[Narrator] Alma: Medan, having made good use of your funds, purchased the necklace and, according to his plan, has brought it to the Society for further study. He asked you to stop by, if you were free before the Council meeting, to tell the others what you ascertained about it.

  • Alma will do so.

[Narrator] Professor Grenrake and Vianca, having heard rumours about this item's provenance and strange power, are most interested in examining it. Also present this morning, perhaps by coincidence, are Ser Julian Izaguirre, Sister Rachelle Beaumont, and Terceira D'Avin, who is occupying herself sketching some of the society's other artifacts.

  • Benalda unwraps the necklace and lays it on one of the long wooden tables beneath a window to better examine it.

[Benalda] So, Sister Alma, Mr. Conquaine tells us that you have examined this necklace, and have some interesting information about it. What can you tell us?

[Alma] (How strong was the enchantment again?)

[Narrator] (strong)

[Alma] (And it was an "enchantment" enchantment?)

[Narrator] (yes)

[Alma] Firstly, via my gifts from the Owl, I determined it was magical, with a strong presence of Enchantment magic.

[Alma] Then, following the advice of Mr. Renaud, I decided to see if there was an evil force to the item.

[Alma] The evil within was more potent than I have ever felt before, almost painful to withstand, and I was forced to let go of it completely.

  • Benalda and Vianca look surprised, and eye the necklace more warily.

[Alma] I'm sure you have heard as well that I have the ability to determine certain things about the owners, past or present, of an item. I understand this is not as reliable as magical detection, but Mr. Sleyght seems confident that it is accurate.

[Alma] As am I.

  • Vianca and Benalda both nod.

[Alma] From examining the necklace, I have traced the ownership back three degrees. The first in this series acquired it from her father as a gift, but had it stolen. The next owner received it in payment for a murder, and eventually gave it to a lover. The current owner, apparently the grandmother of the woman seeking to sell it, was that lover.

[Vianca] Well, that's very interesting.

[Alma] To clarify, it appears that a certain amount of time of ownership, or at least of ... perhaps emotional attachment to an object is required for me to learn anything about them. The grand-daughter, and the thief who stole it from the first owner, I don't believe I can learn anything about.

[Vianca] I see...

[Vianca] It should be possible to verify certain details of your account, at least.

[Alma] I could also attempt to learn more today about the item, if you'd like.

[Alma] I can only learn so much at any given time, and it's hard to focus again without full rest, so it has been a rather protracted attempt :)

[Vianca] If you wish... I intend to examine it myself.

[Alma] What sort of information would you find most beneficial?

[Vianca] Meaning no slight to your powers, I intend to detect magic and evil on it myself, simply to confirm what you have told us.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] My time at the Castalia has given me more insight into the peculiarities of the historian :)

[Vianca] After that, I shall analyze the dweomer - which will hopefully tell us its properties.

[Alma] (Do I know what that is?)

[Narrator] (you can make a Spellcraft check if you wish)

[Alma] (18)

[Narrator] (it's a higher-level spell that gives you the functions and activation conditions of a magic item, that sort of thing)

  • Alma nods.
  • Vianca will cast her spells accordingly. Like you, she looks quite pale after the Detect Evil. For the third one, she takes a tiny lens of some red crystal or perhaps ruby out of her reticule and looks through it to examine the item.

[Vianca] Ah, I wondered...

  • Vianca says, half to herself.

[Benalda] What is it?

  • Benalda says impatiently.

[Vianca] A binding spell - very powerful.

[Vianca] Some... person or creature is contained in this stone.

[Alma] :o

[Vianca] So I'd say the 500 imperials was money well-spent.

  • Vianca says dryly.

[Benalda] You can't dispel it, can you?

[Alma] Would that let it out?

[Vianca] I wouldn't want to, even if I could, but no.

[Vianca] There are certain ways to remove a binding - it can't simply be dispelled, however.

[Alma] Is there a way to find out who... or what is trapped inside?

[Vianca] Possibly.

[Vianca] I'll have to consider this further.

[Vianca] It may be we ought to bring this to the Church's attention.

[Alma] It was my intention.

[Alma] Though I admit I'm not sure how to proceed with that...

  • Alma remembers that Vianca was a member of the Matriarch's household and imagines she has better contacts.

[Sister_Rachelle] We could take it to one of the Reverend Mothers or Fathers, see what they make of it.

  • Vianca considers.

[Vianca] I could ask my niece to come have a look at it - she's Reverend Mother of the Order of the Ox, and of course I trust her.

  • Sister_Rachelle nods.

[Vianca] Though I'm sure she's very busy at the moment, with everything else going on.

[Vianca] We'll see, at any rate.

[Vianca] Thank you for your help, Sister.

[Alma] It's no trouble.

  • Alma will head off to the Great Council then?

[Narrator] (you can stick around if you wish - there will be other PCs here shortly you can chat with if you want before you have to leave :)

Ilphere and Vianca

[Narrator] Ilphere: Following the fracas at the Hall of Worthies, your parents are more than usually concerned for your safety, and your mother has once again raised the idea of a bodyguard.

[Narrator] You are able to escape to the relative peace and quiet of the Antiquarian Society for a few hours this morning, before the Great Council gathers at the largest of the palace's ballrooms for wining and dining and negotiations over who will vote for whom.

[Narrator] These informal meetings will continue for three days, until the candidates go into seclusion. You are not obligated to be in attendance every minute of the time, however.

  • Vianca is there if you wish to talk to her ;)
  • Ilphere does ;)
  • Alma will be over in a corner with Medan or someone deciding what to try to find out about the owners today.
  • Ilphere will approach her when she doesn't seem overly busy.

[Vianca] Ilphere, good to see you.

[Ilphere] Hello!

  • Ilphere says brightly.
  • Vianca is a slender woman in her mid-sixties, whose unruly salt-and-pepper curls frequently escape her efforts to contain them.

[Ilphere] How are you this morning? Are you terribly busy?

[Vianca] Well, I'm deep in thought at the moment, but not too busy to talk :)

[Ilphere] Oh well, I don't want to disturb you, I just wanted to ask you about something, after the other night, after Obadiah's talk...

[Vianca] Yes?

[Ilphere] It's, well... I don't want to seem like a horrible snoop but I have to admit that I heard you talking with him about... *lowers voice slightly* the Arch...

[Vianca] Oh, yes? You don't need to feel ashamed, I'm sure we weren't being discreet :) If you were interested, you could have come to speak to us then!

[Ilphere] Oh it was all so busy... but thank you...! :)

[Vianca] Not at all. What was your question?

  • Vianca says kindly.

[Ilphere] You mentioned that... there might be a way to reforge it? And I was wondering... What would that mean?

[Vianca] Ah..

[Vianca] It's funny you should mention that.

[Ilphere] Oh...?

[Vianca] The simplest method I've been able to think of is that one could open a Gate to another plane, bringing a powerful entity here, and then bind it into the Arch with a Binding spell.

[Vianca] Not that that's especially simple.

[Vianca] And it would, of course, be phenomenally dangerous, I hope I don't need to say!

[Ilphere] Oh, of course...!

  • Ilphere furrows her brow suddenly...

[Vianca] And there is no guarantee that it would work, or function the same way it did before, even if it could be achieved.

[Ilphere] And it wouldn't necessarily have to be the same thing that was there before...?

[Vianca] Well, for it to function in a similar fashion, it would presumably have to be either the same entity or one with similar power.

  • Ilphere nods...

[Ilphere] Can I ask... what did happen with it, back then?

[Vianca] I don't claim to fully understand it myself, but I can tell you what I think.

[Ilphere] The records are all sealed. Even after so long at the Castalia, I can't get any access...

  • Vianca nods.

[Ilphere] I would love to hear anything you could tell me...!

[Vianca] This is simply what I gathered from years of conversations with Matriarch Pasith and some of her friends.

[Vianca] There were two entities bound within the Arch. One, a being of malice, a soul-eater, was presumably there from the artifact's creation, whenever that may have been. The second, the Rat, was trapped there at the time our people arrived in these lands, over two thousand years ago, most likely at the same time the Arch was split into two.

  • Ilphere nods, listening raptly.

[Vianca] The Rat's influence and the division of the Arch managed to mitigate many of the worst effects of the original evil. Not all who passed through the Arch were destroyed, and indeed some seemingly suffered no ill-effects from their passage; in fact, they prospered.

[Vianca] When the Arch was rejoined fifty years ago, following the efforts of Matriarch Pasith and her allies, it is obvious that the Rat was freed. As the Arch is evidently now inert, the second entity may have been destroyed in the process.

[Vianca] I would very much like to believe that it was.

[Vianca] However, I fear that it was not - that it too was released and now acts at will in the world.

[Ilphere] Well... Sanadhil told me something you might want to know...

[Vianca] Oh?

  • Ilphere fidgets with her sleeve.

[Ilphere] He told me the Order of the Black Down have been more... active lately, near his house.

  • Vianca sighs.

[Ilphere] And that they were trying to summon something, that looked to him like it possessed their leader.

[Vianca] They're fools, tampering with powers they don't understand.

[Ilphere] He said he thought she was speaking an infernal or abyssal tongue.

[Vianca] I only hope they're mostly frauds.

[Vianca] But that doesn't sound like it...

[Ilphere] Yes... he said it was different from what they usually do... and that there were more of them, a lot more of them

  • Vianca nods.

[Vianca] I'll see what more I can learn about this. It's very troubling, all of these things coming up at once, and when the city is in such a state already.

  • Ilphere nods..

[Ilphere] Oh it certainly is...!

[Vianca] (did you have any further questions for her?)

[Ilphere] I am wondering if I should try to investigate it myself... ALl the studying I have done, I might be able to figure out what they are trying to do, and if it is genuine...!

[Ilphere] (no not really)

[Vianca] Be careful with them - I believe they're mainly misguided rather than evil, but they can still be dangerous.

  • Ilphere nods solemnly.

[Ilphere] I will, oh of course...!


Altheo and Ser Julian

[Narrator] Altheo, following your various lines of inquiry about the mysterious Ninon de Quercy, you are able to ascertain the following pieces of information.

[Narrator] She is rumoured to be related to Tatiane Corriveau, possibly her grand-daughter, and so many people are reluctant to mess with her.

[Narrator] She is involved in some low-level criminal activity such as fencing stolen goods, 'protection' for small businesses along the border of the Shambles and Rhenea, confidence scams and the like.

[Narrator] Her gang's turf is centred on an abandoned temple along the riverside in Rhenea, called the Bonemire.

[Narrator] For the moment, however, you wanted to speak to your mentor, Ser Julian Izaguirre. He lets you know that he'll be at the Society's meeting hall this morning for a few hours, and you are free to stop by at your convenience.

  • Ser_Julian is a short, thin man in his late sixties, with grey hair and a drooping mustache.
  • Altheo will have a scotch in his hand as he approaches his friend.

[Ser_Julian] Hell, Altheo, how are you doing?

[Altheo] Well, things are going well for me at least. I'm not so sure about the rest of the empire these days.

[Altheo] How about you?

[Ser_Julian] I'm well enough, though, like you, worried.

  • Altheo is friendly like he always is, but not overly familiar, in case others might be listening.

[Narrator] (there are indeed others in the room)

[Altheo] I saw what happened on the steps. That Thea Vermillion is either very stupid or willing to martyr her own people for her cause.

[Ser_Julian] How so?

[Altheo] Well, she made one statement demanding entry. The tried to physically push past the guards.

[Altheo] She didn't even give them a chance to allow them entry.

[Narrator] (I don't think that's true, strictly speaking... she asked a couple of times.)

[Altheo] And when the guards pushed her back, she fell, and one of her "friends" through a rock at a guard. His weapon misfired, not even aimed at anyone, and thats how it all started.

[Ser_Julian] Can you be sure of that?

[Altheo] (sec, checking logs.

[Altheo] The guard was quick to push her, thats true. But you don't get up in guards faces, its either dumb or your looking for violence to start.

[Ser_Julian] Perhaps.

[Ser_Julian] I'm quite sympathetic to their position, myself.

[Altheo] Do you know her?

[Ser_Julian] No, not personally.

[Ser_Julian] I don't think this is necessarily the best way to achieve their goals, but then, it's difficult to persuade a mob to be patient and hope for the best.

[Altheo] I guess my main concern is that I'm not sure she wasn't trying to provoke something like what happened.

[Altheo] It makes a lot of people sympathetic to her cause.

[Ser_Julian] If she was trying to provoke it, would it matter?

[Ser_Julian] They permitted themselves to be provoked.

  • Ser_Julian says with a slight smile.

[Altheo] Well, it doesn't make the guards any less wrong. But is says volumes to the kind of person she is.

[Ser_Julian] Someone who's willing to sacrifice herself for her beliefs?

[Altheo] No, someone who's willing to get other people killed for her beliefs.

[Ser_Julian] I don't think she could have possibly known she wouldn't be killed.

[Altheo] Perhaps your right.

[Altheo] After all, I'm not one to shirk violence when I feel its needed.

  • Altheo says with a wry grin.

[Ser_Julian] I'm not saying that you're necessarily wrong - you may be correct - but I think you're being overly harsh toward someone you don't know.

[Altheo] Maybe.

[Altheo] I guess I should get to know her better.

[Ser_Julian] I'm sure there are many people who feel the same way, now - she's certainly succeeded in attracting a lot of attention to her cause.

[Ser_Julian] Come, have you heard about this necklace? It's fascinating, in a troubling way...

[Altheo] I have indeed seen it. It looks quite valuable.

[Altheo] Has Sister Alma had any luck in finding out more about it?

[Ser_Julian] I believe so - though not for the stone itself, though I'm sure that wasn't cheap.

[Ser_Julian] When did you see it?

  • Altheo sips his scotch.

[Altheo] I was with her at the shop when young Ninon de Quercy brought it in.

  • Ser_Julian looks momentarily startled, but covers it quickly.

[Altheo] Have you heard of her?

[Ser_Julian] The name sounds familiar, perhaps. I can't place it.

[Altheo] Well, she is woman who is more likely to walk in my circles than yours. Fencing, theft, that sort of thing.

[Altheo] But its rummored she is the daughter of Tatiane Corriveau.

[Narrator] (grand-daughter)

[Ser_Julian] Ah. Very interesting.

[Altheo] (yes, sorry.)

[Altheo] So what have you heard of the trinket?

[Altheo] (So he's heard of that name as well eh?)

[Ser_Julian] (you would say so)

[Ser_Julian] I'm afraid I have to run, Altheo, but Sister Alma is just over there, and I'm sure she can tell you more.

[Ser_Julian] Good day :)

[Altheo] Good Day.

[Altheo] [q] Its an ill thing.

  • Altheo smiles at Ser Julian and will head over to Alma.


Seth and Gwen

[Narrator] Seth, you are at loose ends, as Vereth's husband is back in town, so you decide to head over to the Society and see if you can find something to amuse yourself there.

  • Seth will leaf through volumes in the library, if nothing else.

[Narrator] You are on your way when a carriage pulls up alongside you.

  • Seth steps aside.

[Narrator] Unmarked, but the door opens and your aunt Gwen is sitting inside.

  • Gwen Argo is your father's younger sister, about forty-five years of age and never married. She is short and wiry, with straight light brown hair tied back from her sharp features.

[Gwen] Seth, need a ride?

[Seth] Oh, hello! Uh ... where are you headed?

[Gwen] Nowhere particular. Hop in.

  • Gwen says in a tone that brooks no argument.

[Seth] (Is this typical for her?)

[Narrator] (yes)

  • Seth sighs under his breath.

[Seth] Umm, all right.

  • Seth gets in.
  • Gwen signals to the driver to drive on before asking where you actually wanted to go.

[Gwen] I wanted to talk to you anyway - it's good luck I ran into you.

  • Gwen says in a way that suggests it wasn't a coincidence in the slightest.

[Seth] Ahh ... I see ...

[Seth] Okay, what can I do for you, Aunt Gwen?

[Gwen] Do you know much about the Levellers?

[Seth] Well, not too much. Just what I read in the papersl

[Gwen] Ah.

[Gwen] The boss is concerned about this situation with Aden Olivier.

[Narrator] 'The boss' is Leonien Kizer, Duke of Friaul. Marl is his eldest grandson.

[Seth] Ah ... well, I suppose a lot of people are concerned ... any reason why he particularly is concerned?

  • Gwen shrugs.

[Gwen] He's a cousin of theirs, though from the, ah, black sheep branch of the family. I mean, they're about as noble as I am, really.

[Gwen] Anyway, they want to see him off. Not taken out of the picture directly, so to speak, but discredited.

[Seth] Hmm ... well, that would be for the best, really.

[Seth] Don't want any more bloodshed.

  • Gwen nods.

[Gwen] If it were possible to prove that he's tied to the Levellers, more than just these vague rumours, that would do it.

[Gwen] None of the nobles will vote for someone who's likely to turn around and strip them of their power.

[Seth] Will any of them vote for him anyway? I mean ... why would they do that when there are perfectly good candidates who won't upend the social system?

[Gwen] Logically, they should. I don't trust nobles to act logical, though, and apparently neither does the boss.

  • Seth shrugs.

[Seth] I guess ... I just can't imagine, after what happened, that they would be *more* likely to vote for him after his thugs stormed the council.

[Gwen] They aren't *his* thugs, though. The best anyone can say is that he *might* be *possibly* associated with them somehow, or sympathetic to them, or... no one really knows for certain how involved he is in any of what they're doing.

[Gwen] If he's smart, he'll disown them.

[Seth] Hmmm ... yeah, I suppose so.

[Seth] So ... uh, not that I don't appreciate the visit, but, er, why are you talking to me about this?

[Gwen] Thought you might have some Leveller friends, maybe. I don't know anyone in their little coterie.

[Gwen] Someone who's seen him at a meeting or what have you.

[Seth] Ah ... well, I don't really consort with rabble. I'm sure some of the members of the Society are sympathetic, though.

  • Gwen snickers at that.

[Gwen] It's fine - if you find out anything in the next day or two, let me know. Otherwise, we'll just have to figure out some other solution to the problem...

[Seth] (do I know anyone for sure who is a Leveller?)

[Narrator] (you don't know for sure - maybe Fern, maybe Nycaise? They're that sort, you know.)

[Seth] You know, Marl is a lot more sociable than I am ... I'm sure he would know someone. All I have are guesses as to who might be supportive.

[Seth] (uhh, Menard)

[Gwen] Yeah, but he's in the family. You know.

[Seth] Yeah ... I know. We always get called in, in these sorts of situations, don't we?

[Gwen] They don't like getting their own hands dirty.

  • Gwen says simply.

[Seth] Our motto should be "We clean up your messes."

[Gwen] Hah, when they ennoble us for our services, that's what we can put on the crest.

  • Gwen says sarcastically.
  • Seth chuckles.

[Seth] Well, you know, if I should happen to meet any would-be-traitors, what would you have me say, auntie?

[Gwen] Well, for gods' sake, be subtle.

[Gwen] Don't just out and say "Hey, did you see Aden Olivier at any of your traitor meetings?"

[Seth] "Planning to overthrow any monarchies lately?" ;)

[Gwen] Yeah.

[Gwen] Just try to get a sense of what they know, I suppose.

  • Seth shrugs.

[Seth] Okay, sure, I guess. I can't really promise that this hypothetical conversation will happen, though, or you know, that it will be helpful.

[Gwen] I understand.

[Gwen] I'm just running out of resources here, figured it couldn't hurt to ask you.

[Gwen] Sorry, where were you going? I'll get the driver to drop you off.

[Seth] Ahhh ... to the Society. To consort with non-rabble. ;)

  • Gwen will drop you off there, then, and you can chat with the folks in #gnomeland if you're so inclined ;)

Sanadhil and Phedre

[Narrator] Sanadhil, you have been consulting astrologial charts and making use of the Castalia's telescope, but so far you have found no obvious celestial correspondences to the ceremony you witnessed.

[Narrator] That night the moon was waxing, and it will be full in six days' time - the same day the new emperor should be crowned, if all goes according to schedule. Whether that means anything to these people, you're not certain.

[Narrator] I heard rumours you wanted to send a note to Phedre Lozada-Boyne?

  • Sanadhil doubts is - heathens!
  • Sanadhil did, indeed.

[Sanadhil] (brief introduction, I am curious about your activities and the arch, would liek to meet, etc0

[Narrator] You receive a note back on expensive stationery that invites you to tea at the Lozada-Boyne home this afternoon, if you are able to attend.

  • Sanadhil is, and will!
  • Phedre lives in a lovely, fairly new home on Damask Crescent in the Grand. You are admitted by the butler when you arrive, and escorted into a parlour decorated in dark reds and purples.
  • Sanadhil will wear one of his nicer Cozovode outfits, and possibly hire a carriage if it is far ot crappy out

[Narrator] (it's a fairly nice day, but then, you wouldn't want to get mud splashed on your clothes or something... ;)

[Sanadhil] (ineed, i would not!)

  • Phedre is a handsome woman around forty years old, slender, with long, wavy brown hair. You recognize her immediately as the leader of the rite you observed atop the Down, though she has rather more clothing on now.

[Phedre] Welcome, sir, it's a pleasure to meet you.

  • Phedre says, warm and polite.

[Sanadhil] Likewise, Mrs. Loza-Boyne. Thank you for your invitation.

[Narrator] A selection of little sweets and pastries and tea is provided by a maidservant.

[Sanadhil] (Or is she ennobled? if so go with lady)

[Phedre] (she's of noble birth, but not titled - Mrs is acceptable, or Madame or something like that :)

[Sanadhil] (madame sounds nicer)

[Phedre] I'm honoured you accepted.

  • Sanadhil smiles

[Phedre] I've not had much opportunity to know your people, to my chagrin - have you been in Diablotin long? How do you find our fair city?

[Sanadhil] I don't believe we are very common this far east.

[Sanadhil] I have only ben here a few months, myself, and am still getting acquainted with Diablotin.

  • Phedre nods.

[Phedre] Is it everything you expected?

  • Phedre says with a smile.

[Sanadhil] In some ways, certainly.

[Phedre] I hope you've been made to feel welcome here.

[Phedre] No... troubles of any sort.

[Sanadhil] No, nothing like that, though people are quite curious.

[Phedre] Understandably! Your clothing is lovely, if I may say so...

  • Phedre admires you ;)

[Sanadhil] Thank you.

  • Sanadhil accepts her appreciation graciously, with a slight nod
  • Phedre sips her tea.

[Sanadhil] One thing here that greatly piques my curiousity is the arch.

[Phedre] Ah, I see.

[Phedre] I understand you're curious about our little social club.

  • Phedre says with a knowing smile.

[Sanadhil] (does she now? ;p)

[Sanadhil] I have witnessed some of your gatherings, yes

  • Phedre nods.

[Phedre] Well, of course, I'm obliged to tell you that it's all harmless fun. Our members are young, bored, looking for a thrill, and we provide it.

  • Phedre 's tone suggests she has to feed you this line, but hints that she wishes she could tell you more.

[Sanadhil] Oh really?

  • Sanadhil sounds suitably dubious
  • Phedre simply smiles.

[Sanadhil] In the past I might have believed it was so... innocent?

[Sanadhil] But your more recent gathering seemed rather more.... intense.

[Phedre] One has to keep the interest up, after all.

[Sanadhil] Interest, yes.

  • Sanadhil says wryly.

[Sanadhil] Perhaps there are subtleties there that an outsider simply can't appreciate

[Phedre] Perhaps. If you were interested to attend one of our meetings, it could be arranged...

[Sanadhil] Im certain it would go a long way towards satisfying my curiousity.

  • Sanadhil says 'innocently'

[Phedre] I certainly hope it would ;)

  • Earric wanders into the room, and looks mildly surprised to see you there.

[Sanadhil] (that's her husband?)

[Phedre] Oh, dear, this is Mr... I'm sorry, I don't know what the proper way is to say your name.

[Phedre] (yes)

[Sanadhil] Sanadhìl Órecalo

[Sanadhil] a pleasure.

  • Sanadhil will stand to greet him

[Earric] Pleased to meet you.

  • Earric will shake your hand firmly.
  • Earric is much younger than his wife, perhaps mid-twenties or so, and very attractive. He is tall and broad-shouldered, with curly dark brown hair tied back in a somewhat old-fashioned queue.

[Phedre] Mr. Orecalo was interested in the Order, dear.

  • Phedre says, taking his hand affectionately.

[Earric] Oh, really?

  • Earric seems interested to hear that.

[Sanadhil] Yes, I have seen some of your meetings...

[Earric] Will you be joining us at one of our little get-togethers? :)

[Sanadhil] I'd like to se what hey are about, certainly

  • Sanadhil says, meaning what they are *really* about

[Phedre] I shall send you an invitation when the next one is coming up, then :)

[Sanadhil] I would very much appreciate it

[Earric] Look forward to seeing you there.

  • Earric says with a grin.
  • Sanadhil smiles in response

[Sanadhil] . o ( oy. )

[Narrator] You get a little bit of a weird feeling about this guy.

[Sanadhil] (no kidding)

[Sanadhil] (sense motive - os he hitting on me or is it somethig else?)

[Narrator] (you can roll)

[Sanadhil] (25)

[Narrator] Weird like maybe ogling you, but maybe also something else, harder to define. Something... hungry.

  • Sanadhil pretends not to be creeped out

[Narrator] (bluff check? ;)

[Sanadhil] (oh, a natural one, how lovely. total of 9 though :p)

[Sanadhil] 9oh no waith, i was using rollbot. still only an 11)

[Sanadhil] (on bah, no it was a 1, they jsut didn't go in the same order)

[Sanadhil] (or gah. 11. really)

[Sanadhil] (anyay, probably not enough :p)

[Narrator] (not really)

  • Earric looks a little bemused.
  • Phedre doesn't appear to notice.

[Phedre] I look forward to seeing you before too long, then :)

[Sanadhil] Likewise.


Alma and Aden

[Narrator] This portion of the Great Council's meetings has more in common with an afternoon party - music, refreshments, everyone in their best clothing and, at least publically, on their best behaviour.

[Narrator] The grand ballroom is not set up for dancing today, however - it is dotted with small tables and elegant chairs, and the doors leading to the garden are thrown open for those who wish to partake of more private conversation.

  • Alma has chosen to wear high quality priestly robes instead of an awkward dress since the first day... and Marielle carries about her healer's kit.

[Narrator] Alma, Ilphere, and Guillame are all in attendance, and can talk in #gnomeland when they're not otherwise busy, if they want ;)

[Narrator] Alma, you have ample opportunity to talk to your friends and fellow nobles here, in an effort to determine who would be best to vote for.

[Narrator] Was there anyone particular you wished to speak with?

[Alma] (Not *particularly* I'd like to guage how each will behave in response to some of the current issues, like the Levellers etc.)

[Alma] (Maybe even seek the candidates out themselves if I can't get a good picture)

[Narrator] Okay...

[Narrator] You can manage to talk to Lavinie Rademacher for a few moments, enough to determine that you think she's a bit dim, though pretty and well-intentioned, which will probably be enough to get her some votes.

  • Alma sighs.

[Narrator] Fredericia Hartzell strikes you as clever - maybe overly clever - and quite strong-minded in her views.

  • Alma explores what those views are...

[Narrator] She is something of a traditionalist, from what you can tell.

[Narrator] Not in favour of the Levellers, by any means, and perhaps not even in favour of, say, the Pasithians.

  • Alma worries perhaps her strong mindedness may result in reactionary behaviour :(

[Narrator] Marl Kizer is something of a scholar, trained at the Castalia. He's a little older, perhaps wiser, and quite popular.

[Narrator] And then there's Aden Olivier, of course.

[Narrator] You have the opportunity to speak to him, if you want.

[Alma] (Sure.)

[Alma] (What should I call him? I forget his title.)

[Alma] (If he even has one.)

  • Aden is young, in his early twenties, and fairly plain in appearance and dress, though his green eyes are quite piercing.

[Narrator] (Mr. Olivier would be fine - he doesn't have a title himself)

[Alma] Good afternoon Mr. Oliver.

[Aden] Good afternoon, Sister.

  • Aden says, bowing his head slightly.

[Alma] (Indicating he is aware of me / my title? )

[Narrator] (you're not sure - but you're definitely wearing your robes, so that's safe ;)

[Alma] I thought I would like to take a few minutes of your time to talk :)

[Aden] Of course, I'm glad to speak with you :)

[Alma] Your boldness was not in vain, it seems.

[Aden] I hope not.

[Alma] You hope to be Emperor, then?

[Aden] I would be honoured to be so chosen. But I hope that even if I am not, that others may follow in my footsteps.

[Aden] You are the Contesse de Béziers, am I correct?

[Alma] Yes, Mr. Oliver.

[Aden] I have never been to that part of the empire, I'm afraid.

[Aden] I hear it's lovely.

[Aden] I've been to Friaul, though, which is quite close, I believe?

[Alma] It is, on Lake (Oops).

  • Aden nods.

[Alma] We are situated just up the River (Unnamed).

[Aden] I see. Your county must conduct much trade down the river, then.

[Alma] Indeed, from Montfaucon and further east, and towards Diablotin itself.

  • Aden nods.

[Alma] If I may be so bold, Mr. Oliver, as I imagine you will be pulled away to another quickly enough...

[Aden] Of course.

[Alma] What is it that would make you a great Emperor?

  • Aden smiles modestly.

[Alma] Why are you worthy of stepping outside of hte norm.

[Aden] Because, Sister, I care about the people of the empire - not about the revenue they can bring me, but about bettering their lives. For instance, I am very keen to build more railways - I think they're a marvellous tool for bringing our land together, putting long-distance travel in reach of those who don't have the money for a teleport spell, for instance.

[Aden] For too long we've been ruled by an elite - they understand nobles, but they look on their subjects as...

  • Aden shrugs.
  • Alma looks a little interested at this.

[Alma] (well part of it.)

[Alma] Do you not think that traditions exist for a reason?

[Alma] (If Aden's an observant kind of guy, I can provide you with some of Alma's motives behind questions?)

[Aden] I think there are some traditions well worth keeping. But we shouldn't carry on doing things the way we always have blindly, without considering what other options are before us, or how our decisions might be harmful to those whose voices aren't so easily heard.

[Alma] Of course, we have just seen a big change in tradition, through Matriarch Belden.

[Alma] Can the Empire handle more uncertainty, Mr. Oliver?

[Aden] I have confidence that it can. But I admit it's possible that others don't see it that way :)

[Aden] I hope that's helped answer some of your questions, Sister? :)

[Alma] We have barely just adjusted to a new way to chose the Emperor... to accept the Houseless as a part of the Cycle...

  • Aden nods.

[Aden] Although I would debate whether we have truly adjusted to a new way of choosing the Emperor, given recent circumstances.

[Aden] It seems to me that we are still finding our way on that matter.

[Alma] I was simplifying that a bit :)

[Aden] I understand :)

[Alma] How would you try to convince the nobility, Mr. Oliver?

[Aden] To accept me?

[Alma] I meant looking farther ahead :)

[Aden] Ah. Well, if they have gone so far as to accept me as Emperor, I hope that my ideas would not be as ...challenging to get them to accept.

  • Alma looks a little disappointed.

[Aden] Honestly, I am still working on how to get them to accept me in the first place. I'm not going to pretend I have all the answers yet :)

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] Thank you for your time, Mr. Oliver... perhaps we will speak again.

[Aden] I hope so, Sister. It was a pleasure.

  • Alma will let another steal him.

Ilphere and Marl

[Narrator] Ilphere, you are circulating at the council meeting. Your cousin Lavinie is apparently so confident of your support that she has barely spoken to you today. Other candidates, however, are not so sure...

  • Marl sweeps a dashing bow.

[Marl] Mlle. deQuessenet, I hope you're well.

[Ilphere] Oh, yes thank you! :)

[Marl] I feel I ought to apologize for this vulgar process taking you away from your studies, and hope it is not too great a trial for you.

  • Marl says with a slight smile.

[Ilphere] Ah, well, I'll be back at the Castalia soon enough...!

  • Marl nods.

[Marl] Perhaps if this doesn't work out, so will I :)

  • Ilphere laughs lightly.

[Marl] Would you care to walk with me for a little while - in the garden, perhaps? I could do with some fresh air.

[Ilphere] Certainly! It is very warm in here, isn't it?

  • Marl will offer you his arm to walk outside, then.
  • Ilphere takes it graciously.
  • Marl will make small-talk about the gardens, the weather, etc. as you walk.
  • Ilphere is happy enough to prattle on about whatever for a while.

[Marl] I wanted to let you know, my offer still stands, if you have any interest...

  • Marl says after a little while.

[Ilphere] ... offer?

  • Ilphere blinks.

[Marl] Of a union between our families.

[Ilphere] Oh... Oh!

[Ilphere] Well... I am very flattered...

[Ilphere] But at this point in my life my studies are so important...

  • Ilphere looks a little pained.

[Marl] I completely understand.

  • Marl says gallantly.

[Marl] It would not necessarily have to be an immediate arrangement - a betrothal only, perhaps...

  • Ilphere thinks...

[Ilphere] . o O ( What would Grand-mère say? )

[Ilphere] I am so sorry, I just feel that I am under too much stress just now to make such a decision...!

[Marl] Not at all, I am sorry to have placed you in such an awkward position.

[Ilphere] Or... oh, I do not know!

  • Ilphere is very embarrassed.

[Marl] Please forgive me, Ilphere. I didn't mean to cause you any distress.

[Ilphere] No, no, it is very alright.

[Marl] I hope you'll think on what I've said, and perhaps we can speak again soon.

  • Marl bows once more.

[Ilphere] I will, I promise.

  • Ilphere resolves to consult her family for advice ASAP. :/

Guillame and Aden

[Narrator] Guillame, Aden Olivier approaches you as you linger near the snacks.

  • Guillame bows

[Aden] Good afternoon, M. Rionet.

  • Aden says, bowing back politely.

[Guillame] And to you too, M. Olivier

[Aden] I wanted to thank your family for its support during the nominations. It meant a great deal to me.

[Guillame] Well, to be honest, it meant a great deal to us that you would stand up to the predominant will of your house for a fairer government.

  • Aden smiles modestly.

[Guillame] I must say I was quite excited about it all

[Aden] I hope that I can live up to your confidence. :)

[Guillame] Although the deaths outside have sobered me somewhat.

[Aden] The prospect of change of any sort is exciting, I agree. Clearly *something* has to give.

  • Aden nods sadly.

[Aden] It's a tragedy. It didn't have to happen like that.

[Aden] I understand their anger, but violence isn't the right way to achieve their goals - it can only harm their credibility.

[Guillame] I believe if not for Sister Alma there may have been more deaths, even.

[Aden] Was she there? If I'd known, I would have thanked her when we spoke earlier.

[Guillame] You believe the crowd were at fault? I heard of a stone being thrown, but for guards to fire on people...

[Guillame] She was - I saw her heal several of the injured.

[Aden] I don't know for certain who was at fault. Certainly the guards over-reacted, I think that much is clear.

[Aden] But there are so many conflicting versions of the story - it's difficult for me to say either side is completely blameless.

[Aden] I only wish it hadn't happened.

[Guillame] I think we can all agree to that.

[Aden] People feel strongly that change is needed. I hope that we can achieve such change without further bloodshed.

[Guillame] Do you mind if I ask an... impertinent question?

[Aden] Not at all.

[Guillame] Do your plans for upsetting the established council process cease at your nomination, or election, or beyond?

[Aden] I don't mean to relieve the Great Council of their powers, by any means. I do think that some further opening of their numbers might not be ill-advised. Your House, for instance, is frightfully under-represented.

  • Aden says as you wander toward the doors and out onto the terrace overlooking the gardens.

[Narrator] In the gardens, there are small groups of people, some sitting on stone benches or in secluded arbors, others walking in the peaceful surroundings. The spring leaves are mostly out, and flowers are beginning to blossom.

[Guillame] I'd agree to that, although it bothers me more that we're under-represented in the process than in numbers. We're barely tacked-on at the moment, and I believe we can really make a contribution.

  • Aden nods.
  • Guillame takes in the surroundings.
  • Guillame smiles

[Aden] The treatment of House Rat has been, on the whole, deplorable. Certainly it is one of the foremost issues that the next emperor ought to work to remedy, if they're sensible.

  • Guillame nods
  • Aden glances over your shoulder for a moment.

[Aden] It's getting quite windy, isn't it... perhaps we ought to...

  • Aden suddenly staggers back, as if struck by a fierce blow.

[Guillame] Are you okay?

  • Guillame moves to support Aden
  • Aden manages to right himself, only to be struck again. You can feel the stregth of the air as it rushes past you, but you are unharmed.
  • Aden throws himself to one side, trying to avoid the next onslaught.

[Narrator] You cannot see anything, and yet he's clearly being attacked by *something*.

  • Guillame shouts for help

[Narrator] The commotion is attracting attention - someone nearby runs off calling for help as well.

  • Guillame also looks for shelter

[Narrator] Whatever it is, it is clearly focusing all its attention on Aden - you are not being targeted. He looks very injured.

[Narrator] A sudden burst of flame roars down from above, striking the invisible attacker.

[Guillame] We should try to get you behind something!

  • Aden lies panting on the tiled terrace, hardly able to move, but the attack seems to have ceased.

[Guillame] He needs help!

  • Esmena , Reverend Mother of the Order of the Bear, stands there, surveying the scene. She hurries to heal the wounded young man.
  • Esmena lays hands on him, praying.

[Guillame] Thank you - I don't know what happened...

  • Aden looks much better, though still not well.

[Esmena] I'd say it was something like an air elemental, or an invisible stalker - something summoned to attack him.

  • Esmena says once he's not about to die any longer.
  • Guillame looks over to where the flame was

[Esmena] I called down a flame strike upon it. I doubt I killed it, but it was enough to drive it off.

[Aden] ...thank you...

  • Aden says weakly.

[Esmena] Watch your back, young man.

  • Esmena says sternly.

[Esmena] It's pretty clear someone doesn't want you to make it to the election.

[Esmena] Are you all right?

[Guillame] Just so! We need an investigation, to find out who!

  • Esmena asks, turning to Guillame.

[Guillame] Me?

[Guillame] I'm fine, again.

[Esmena] Good.

[Guillame] I felt gusts of wind, but they didn't hurt me at all.

  • Esmena nods.

[Guillame] Should I fetch somebody? The guard, perhaps?

[Esmena] A spellcaster, or someone allied with one, that much is clear. Unfortunately, that doesn't narrow down one's choices all that much.

[Aden] I'll be all right.

  • Aden says, struggling to his feet.

[Esmena] Talk to Captain Harnage, at the very least.

  • Esmena advises Aden, but you as well.

[Esmena] Any attack in the Imperial Grounds is his affair.

[Guillame] Better sooner than later, I'd say.

  • Aden nods grudgingly.

[Aden] I'll speak with him... M. Rionet, perhaps you will accompany me, to tell him your view of the events?

[Guillame] Of course. Thank you, Revend Mother

  • Esmena nods.
  • Guillame bows

[Esmena] Be careful.

  • Esmena says before she departs.

[Guillame] .oO(I'll try...)

[Narrator] You go off to give your report to the Guard Captain, then, which takes some time.

[Narrator] Evening has fallen by the time you're finished, and fireflies dot the gardens with their gentle light.

Alma and Anstine

  • Anstine Kypros approaches you as the evening draws to its close at the palace.

[Anstine] Sister, have you heard the news?

[Alma] News?

[Alma] No, I have not... Mr. Kypros is it?

[Anstine] That's right. I apologize, I'm a little out of sorts.

[Anstine] Apparently there was a robbery at the Society this evening. Professor Grenrake was out, but Tiphaigne was there doing some reading, so she told him to lock up if he left before she returned.

[Alma] :o

[Anstine] She got back a couple of hours later and found him bleeding on the floor. He's still dazed, I don't know whether he's aware enough to answer questions about what happened.

[Anstine] The strangest part is, all that was taken was a necklace.

[Alma] No...

[Narrator] The end, for now....

Solos

Sanadhil and Ilphere

  • Sanadhil will seek Illphère at the Castallia Library
  • Sanadhil doens't know you are all involved in this noble emperor choseiing thing, so will assume youc an be found in your usual haunts
  • Ilphere is easily found

[Ilphere] (uh, or not?)

  • Sanadhil hopes that the library is fairly empty, in anycase, but will approach you

[Sanadhil] (you are or we get no scene ;)

[Ilphere] (haha)

  • Ilphere is doing some shelving.

[Sanadhil] Miss deQuesenet?

[Ilphere] Oh! Hello!

[Sanadhil] I was wondering if I might trouble you for a moment of your time

[Ilphere] (would I be calling you by your first name?)

[Ilphere] Why anything I can do to be of assistance...! What is it?

  • Sanadhil tends to be more formal when he is actaully at the castillaia, so probably not?

[Sanadhil] Something i saw the othernight that has raised my curiousity

[Sanadhil] You are something of a student of the Arch?

  • Ilphere nods energetically.

[Ilphere] Why yes, it is most fascinating...! Why?

[Sanadhil] have you ever heard of the Order of the Black Down?

  • Sanadhil asks quietly

[Ilphere] (I assume I have?)

[Curtana] (yes - the info on the wiki is pretty much common knowledge to anyone who's lived in the city for a while)

[Ilphere] Oh... yes...

  • Ilphere 's eyes widen a little bit.
  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I thought as much

[Sanadhil] because of where I am located, I have at chance seen signs of there activities

[Sanadhil] Small moonlight gatherings and revelries, tokens left at the arch itself, etcetera

  • Ilphere nods.

[Sanadhil] But the night of your Empresses's passing, after the Society meeting, I observed somethig of an entirely different nature

[Ilphere] Different how?

[Sanadhil] many more people, for one.

[Sanadhil] (how many again, Julie? About a hundred maybe?)

[Sanadhil] A larger ritual, with drumming and chanting

[Curtana] (not that many... I think I said 30 or so?)

[Sanadhil] (okay, my bad)

[Curtana] (I may be misremembering, but it wasn't 100, anyway :)

[Sanadhil] About twice as many as I'd ever seen there before, drumming and chanting

[Ilphere] Do you recall what they were chanting?

[Sanadhil] In fact, yes.

  • Ilphere listens eagerly...!

[Sanadhil] I wasn't familiar with the tongue they were speaking - it sounded fairly ominous, but I was able to use a spell to understand them

[Sanadhil] They were invoking the entity in the arch

[Ilphere] :o

[Ilphere] What did they call it?

[Sanadhil] (did they have a specific name for it, Julie? or was it just 'oh great demon of the arch, our father in evilness, come to us your humble willing servants and tell us your bidding!)

  • Ilphere takes out a little notebook and a pencil and starts scribbling.

[Curtana] (you didn't catch a specific name in the part you 'translated')

[Sanadhil] I am not sure that they were using a specific name

[Sanadhil] at least, i did not hear one I could recognize as such

  • Ilphere nods.

[Ilphere] Do you know what language it was?

[Sanadhil] (Julie? you answered my other questions but not that one :o)

[Curtana] (sorry - Abyssal or Infernal, maybe, would be your best guesses)

[Sanadhil] (;k)

[Sanadhil] I'm not positive, but I suspect either the Abyssal or Infernal tongues

  • Sanadhil says with a slight frown
  • Ilphere nods again.

[Ilphere] That would make sense, yes...

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] that is what I surmised

[Ilphere] So... what did you want to ask *me* about it then?

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] I am not familiar exactly witht he nature of your research on the Arch

[Sanadhil] however, in the course of this ceremony, the woman who led them put herself into some kind of trance

[Sanadhil] And ...something... spoke through her

  • Ilphere scribbles furiously.

[Sanadhil] She was surrounded by powerful magical auras, but i was not ablt to discern their nature.

[Ilphere] ...What did it say?

[Sanadhil] It is possible that it could have been some kind of ruse..

[Sanadhil] (sec)

[Sanadhil] That it had come, as they had called it, and they together they would bring this land to its knees.

[Ilphere] Huh...

  • Ilphere thinks.

[Ilphere] Had you seen this woman there before?

[Sanadhil] I didn't recognize her, no

[Ilphere] It's *possible* that it was an illusion and she is trying to bilk some gullible cultists... but on the other hand...!

[Curtana] (Ilphere, you think a woman leading such a ceremony is most likely to be Phedre Lozada-Boyne.)

[Ilphere] (who is she?)

[Curtana] (the leader of the OBD, basically - she's a House Cat noblewoman, in her 40s or so.)

[Ilphere] (oh right)

[Curtana] (I think she's in their desc. on the wiki)

[Ilphere] (yeah I just found it)

[Curtana] ('k)

[Curtana] (her leadership of the group is pretty commonly known - the rest of the membership is more mysterious.)

[Ilphere] I may have to investigate...

  • Sanadhil blinks in concern
  • Ilphere says, half to herself.

[Ilphere] How often do these people meet?

[Sanadhil] I would advise caution...

[Sanadhil] They did not seem keen on being observed -_-

[Ilphere] Yes, yes, of course...

[Ilphere] Perhaps if I pretended to join their group...

  • Sanadhil frowns again

[Sanadhil] I am certain that their activities would not be approprieate for a young lady of your standing to attened - even without the possibility of demonic onvolvement :o

[Ilphere] Hm, well... I will see if there is some way to discreetly observe...

[Sanadhil] perhaps - I had planned to keep watch of their activities myself

[Sanadhil] I have not seen them up there since that night, however

[Ilphere] Hm.. perhaps they are waiting for an auspicious night...

[Sanadhil] perhaps

[Sanadhil] That is somethig i may be able to research

[Ilphere] I should consult some charts... do some research... we might be ablt to predict a likely time for their next ritual...!

[Ilphere] That would be excellent!

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Plese, let me know of you do plan to pursue this - iwould feel terrible if something untowards happened to you.

[Sanadhil] I am also, I admit, curious to know just what is going on myself

[Ilphere] Well, let *me* know if you find anything of interest in your research! :)

[Sanadhil] Of course.

[Ilphere] ANd I shall keep you apprised :)

  • Sanadhil nods, and smiles

[Sanadhil] I shall consult the stars.

Alma and Medan

  • Alma will send word ahead she is coming, then stop by before heading on to Council affairs.
  • Medan will let you in to the shop, though it's a bit before opening hours.

[Medan] Sister, welcome.

[Alma] Good morning Mr. Conquaine :)

[Alma] I've come to take another look at the necklace, if you don't mind.

[Medan] Of course.

[Medan] At this rate, you might consider buying it yourself ;)

  • Alma chuckles.
  • Medan says as he goes to retrieve it.
  • Medan sets it out, wrapped, on the counter.
  • Alma will take a moment to look it over again before seeking the Owl's Guidance and closing her eyes to focus on it.

[Medan] (okay... what are you looking for?)

[Alma] (Owner after the one who received it +2, how they gained and lost it +5)

[Alma] (Would you mind rolling for me? I'm +10)

[Medan] (sec)

[Alma] (DC 17)

[Medan] (Wasn't that the one you did last time?)

[Alma] (I did the one after "Noira" last time. I'm doing the one after that, the lover.)

[Alma] (I ... think :P The Lover / The Grandmother)

[Medan] (oh, I see. That's not +2, then, as that person is the most recent owner)

[Alma] (Oh, the woman who came here is not considered an owner?)

[Medan] (apparently not.)

[Alma] (That explains my confusion OOC the other day! :D)

[Medan] (if it's the case that she's just transporting it, she doesn't count as an owner)

[Alma] (Then I'll check her alignment instead.)

[Medan] (the most recent owner's?)

[Alma] (Yup)

[Medan] ('k)

[Alma] (I'm dumb.)

[Medan] (I'll roll for you)

[Medan] (you just made it, I think - I rolled a 7)_

[Alma] (Actually I failed since alignment is +3, but I already know how she got it, and she hasn't lost it yet... so I'm just out alignment.)

[Medan] (well, yeah, I assumed you weren't doing the gained/lost in that case)

[Alma] (Ok, if I can leave it off I will :P)

  • Alma clues in.

[Medan] (yeah, that was what I was presuming)

[Alma] (Then I get it! She is... EVIL! MUAHAHAHA)

[Medan] (now I have to check it, sec)

[Medan] (TN)

  • Alma will then cast Detect Evil.

[Medan] (Presence of evil on the necklace, so overwhelming you lose the spell and are stunned for a round unless you drop it after the first round.)

  • Alma was intent on examining it and as such doesn't drop it immediately... so she is stunned.

[Medan] Are you all right?

  • Medan asks, seeing your expression.
  • Alma drops the necklace to the table when she is once again able.

[Alma] ...

[Alma] Y-yes, I am alright...

[Medan] Do you need to sit down? You look quite pale...

[Alma] Yes, please.

  • Medan will help you to a seat (a lovely antique chair.)
  • Alma will take a seat and compose herself.
  • Alma holds her Holy Symbol.

[Medan] What happened?

  • Medan will ask after a few moments.

[Alma] The necklace is ... evil, something in it is *intensely* evil.

  • Medan nods slowly.

[Alma] I have not had the displeasure of sensing something so powerful before.

[Alma] Have you put it on, Mr. Conquaine?

[Medan] No, it's not really my style.

[Alma] I ... well, not knowing what it does, I thought I should ask :)

  • Medan nods.

[Medan] More and more, I am thinking I ought to buy it, so as to keep it from falling into other hands.

  • Alma looks over at where it shines on the table.

[Medan] Perhaps then I could bring it to the Society for study.

[Alma] (Would this be a church issue, specifically?)

  • Alma nods.

[Medan] (possibly, but it wouldn't have to be unless you chose to make it one)

[Alma] I will have to speak with my mentors about this... I am not sure if this is something The Church should be involved in.

  • Medan nods.

[Medan] When next I see Miss de Quercy, then, I will offer to purchase the item.

[Medan] Maybe I can get the Society to chip in some funds...

  • Medan says pensively - this is clearly going to cost him.

[Alma] I believe I can help compensate you for the trouble, Mr. Conquaine...

[Medan] Oh, Sister, I couldn't ask that of you.

[Alma] I am a member of the society, albeit new, so just consider it a part of that.

  • Medan will protest a bit more, but eventually accept your offer ;)
  • Alma will looks through her purse and give him five platinum imperials.

[Alma] (HE did offer her 500 gp right?)

[Medan] (yes)

  • Medan looks... mildly surprised that you carry that amount with you ;)

[Medan] Thank you, Sister.

[Alma] I also assure you that... on the off chance this ends up being a Church matter, you'll be compensated in full should the Church require it...

[Alma] I mean, I'm not sure how it all works...

  • Medan nods.

[Medan] I'll let you know when I've made the purchase, then.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] I had best be going to the Great Council then...

[Alma] Have a good day, sir.

[Medan] Oh, of course. Good luck - I hope it goes better than yesterday! :o

[Alma] Yes...

[Alma] I've seen enough blood for a long time.

  • Medan will escort you to the door, then.
  • Alma mounts her carriage and rides off into ... the Imperial City.