Diablotin 2 session 2

From RocksfallWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Diablotin 2 session logs
Previous Session 2 Next

Summary

Session

Session date:
Diablotin date:

Prologue

[Narrator] With the recent and unexpected death of Empress Idaia, the Empire has been cast into turmoil - not yet boiling over, but definitely simmering.

[Narrator] Idaia's funeral is well-attended, with guards lining the streets of the Old City as her cortege passes by on its way to the Mausoleum outside the walls where all (or nearly all) Emperors come to lie sooner or later.

[Narrator] The Levellers have been widely publicizing their intent to hold a peaceful gathering, followed by a march to the Hall of Worthies to present their case to the nobles assembled there.

Ysabeau and Mijanou

[Narrator] Ysabeau, your friend Mijanou comes to visit you.

  • Ysabeau is doing stuff at home.
  • Mijanou knocks at your door, then.

[Ysabeau] (What is Murienne up to? She has been informed about the possibility for violence, so is she staying close to home or what?)

  • Ysabeau answers it.
  • Murienne is indeed staying close to home.

[Mijanou] Hello there :)

  • Ysabeau has been trying to cook but she's not especially awesome at it. There is flour all over her, probably.

[Ysabeau] Hi Mijanou!

  • Mijanou gives you a warm hug.

[Ysabeau] Oh, watch the flour! :o

[Mijanou] Oh, sorry!

  • Ysabeau hugs her back gingerly, trying not to get Mijanou dirty.

[Mijanou] It's no problem, it's not like this is my good dress :)

[Ysabeau] IT's mostly *your* clothes I'm concerned about. ^-^ Mine are already quite ruined.

[Mijanou] It's so good to see you, Ysabeau.

[Mijanou] You should get an apron ;)

  • Mijanou says as she steps into your house.

[Ysabeau] I had one on... ;_; I was just starting to clean up the mess in the kitchen when you knocked. I managed to get this dirty even with one on!

  • Mijanou giggles at that.

[Mijanou] So, how are things with you? Other than the mess in the kitchen ;)

[Ysabeau] Pretty good - how about you? How's business? I have been wondering whether it would slow down or speed up with an Emperor's passing.

[Ysabeau] I mean people react to death in so many different ways.

[Mijanou] Oh, things are mostly the same as usual at the Boar... a couple of new girls came in not too long ago, so it's pretty full again. I guess it's a bit busier than usual.

[Mijanou] And Altheo's, well, you know, Altheo ;)

  • Mijanou says, blushing slightly, as she usually does when talking about Altheo.
  • Ysabeau nods, grinning.

[Ysabeau] You have to leave before you can sleep with him, you know.

[Mijanou] Yes, but then I'd never see him again, probably :p

  • Ysabeau laughs.

[Ysabeau] Unrequited love in a brothel! Who'd have dreamed of it.

[Mijanou] I'm not in love with him!

[Mijanou] I just... don't want to leave quite yet.

  • Mijanou says with a shrug.

[Ysabeau] There must be a song in there somewhere...

[Mijanou] Hmph.

  • Ysabeau smiles gently.
  • Mijanou says, pretending to be offended.

[Ysabeau] So, to what do I owe the honour of your visit? And would you care for some refreshment?

[Mijanou] I wouldn't mind something to drink.

[Ysabeau] Sure, come on in. Be warned: it IS a disaster area...

[Mijanou] Oh, that's all right :)

  • Ysabeau leads Mijanou to the kitchen where there is a table and chairs.
  • Mijanou will brush the flour off one of the chairs and have a seat ;)

[Ysabeau] It's just rising now... I hope it DOES rise.

[Ysabeau] What would you like? Water, tea, juice?

[Mijanou] If it doesn't, don't worry - it happens to everyone sometimes.

  • Mijanou says drily.

[Mijanou] Some tea, thanks :)

  • Ysabeau puts a kettle on over the fire in the hearth.

[Ysabeau] There we go.

[Mijanou] Oh, speaking of which, I have a new regular. I shouldn't say who, exactly, but he's very important ;)

[Mijanou] But he's been to see me three times, I think that counts a regular.

[Ysabeau] Ooooh....

[Ysabeau] Now why would you tell me that and not tell me his name?

  • Mijanou smiles.

[Ysabeau] I'm going to die of curiosity now.

[Mijanou] Oh, all right, force it out of me... ;)

[Mijanou] It's Nestor Dryden, the Lord Treasurer.

[Ysabeau] You're a loose girl, Mijanou. Loose morals, loose lips.

  • Ysabeau teases.

[Ysabeau] Oh - Lord Moneybags himself!

[Ysabeau] I hope he pays you well.

[Mijanou] That's right.

[Mijanou] He's nice enough, but a bit strange. I think he's one of those Revelator types, you know the ones I mean?

[Ysabeau] (Revelator, mind is blank... are they one of the culty groups?)

[Alma] (FIRE AND BRIMSTONE!)

[Mijanou] (the hellfire ones)

[Ysabeau] Oh... creepy.

[Mijanou] Yeah. Sometimes he likes to talk afterwards - just to vent, I suppose, to someone who won't gossip...

[Ysabeau] You won't? ;D

[Mijanou] Gossiping to you doesn't count, silly, I just meant he probably doesn't want it getting back to his noble chums or whatever.

[Ysabeau] What does he say? :o

[Mijanou] He says there are demons that walk around looking like regular people, you can't even tell them apart.

[Mijanou] [q] Even some who are in positions of power. He always gets very gloomy then and doesn't say anything else.

[Ysabeau] Well... do you believe him?

[Mijanou] I don't know. It gives me the shivers to think about it, if it's true.

[Mijanou] I mean, he's probably just crazy, but what if he isn't?

[Mijanou] Would they make someone crazy the Lord Treasurer?

  • Ysabeau pours some boiling water into a pot with loose tea leaves and brings it, some honey, spoons and mugs to the table.

[Ysabeau] Well, our old Empress Idaia made him treasurer, and we all know how effective she was.

  • Mijanou chuckles slightly at that.

[Ysabeau] And that Arch used to make *Emperors* crazy... so to be truly honest I wouldn't be surprised if crazy people were still running our country.

[Mijanou] You're probably right.

[Ysabeau] That being said, you and I both have known some pretty awful people, people who might as well be demons in disguise.

[Ysabeau] So maybe there's some truth to what he says, too - but whether we should take him literally or not, I couldn't say.

[Mijanou] I know... :/ I don't think we need demons to explain how people are awful to each other, though.

[Ysabeau] Would he ever tell you who he suspects of being demons?

[Mijanou] I've never asked.

[Mijanou] I almost don't want to know.

[Ysabeau] I'm totally curious. I'd ask him if I knew him, and if, you know, I thought he wouldn't freak out on me for asking.

[Ysabeau] But that's me!

[Ysabeau] ^-^

[Mijanou] That's the thing - he always seems so depressed by it, I don't want to make him more upset.

[Mijanou] But maybe he wants to get it off his chest, I don't know.

[Ysabeau] Does he bring it up a lot?

[Mijanou] Well, I've only seen him three times, but twice he's talked about it.

  • Ysabeau pours some tea into mugs for each of us.

[Ysabeau] The last two times?

[Mijanou] Yes.

[Ysabeau] He was probably feeling you out the first time.

[Mijanou] I suppose I must have passed :p

[Ysabeau] I bet he does want to get it off his chest, if he keeps mentioning it.

  • Mijanou nods.

[Mijanou] Well, if he brings it up next time I see him, I'll ask.

[Ysabeau] If you ask him, and he tells you, let me know, okay? Merrow might know something about it or maybe he has connections in the guard who would. He's been around long enough. I'll ask next time I see him, if there's any truth to it... No guarantee he'll know but I just want to find out if there really is some danger to us like that...

[Mijanou] All right.

[Ysabeau] It gives me the shivers too.

[Mijanou] Let's not worry about it.

  • Mijanou will change the subject, then, and talk to you about less serious matters until it's time for her to leave.

Alma, Sarigan and Medan

[Narrator] Alma, you wanted to talk to Medan again about the necklace, yes?

[Narrator] Or do you think it's more pressing to talk to Biatrix?

[Alma] (Like Biatrix has every been to a Great council!)

[Alma] (I imagine Medan will be more interesting?)

[Narrator] Let's presume you can talk to Biatrix off-board and she basically tells you 'good luck, they're all a bunch of loonies' ;)

[Alma] (Sure :P)

[Alma] (Is this after the funeral?)

[Narrator] Yes, probably the evening afterwards, so the day before the council meets.

  • Alma will have invited Sarigan to come along if he' curious.
  • Sarigan enjoys Alma's company, so he would have tagged along if asked

[Alma] This is the spot.

  • Medan 's shop is closed when you stop by, but he lets you in nevertheless.

[Medan] Good evening, both of you, glad you could come by.

[Alma] Thank you Mr. Conquaine.

  • Medan ushers you into the shop.
  • Alma steps in.

[Medan] I think this necklace is stranger than I'd originally supposed...

[Alma] Oh? Have you had it identified?

[Medan] Yes. The spell revealed nothing about it.

[Medan] From what I understand, there are several reasons why that could be.

[Medan] First, it could be that the aura of magic on it is fake, to put it bluntly.

  • Sarigan follows along, checking out the shop, and listening politely

[Alma] (Spellcraft 20 if he leaves out any reasons it might work that way.)

[Medan] Secondly, it could have a permanent spell cast upon it, like, oh, something to change the size or colour of the stone, but that has no other effects on the wearer.

[Medan] Third, and this is the one that makes me most nervous, it could be an artifact of such power that identify doesn't work on it.

[Alma] :o

[Narrator] (You can't think of any other reasons why the spell wouldn't work, off the top of your head. All of those are possible explanations.)

[Alma] Well, it was quite a powerful enchantment...

[Alma] (Was it THAT powerful?)

[Alma] I'm not sure I could tell you anything that would reveal its true nature... at least not just by reading it.

[Narrator] You didn't think so, at any rate. Powerful, but not, like, artifact-level power.

[Medan] I know. I certainly don't expect you to solve this for me :)

[Sarigan] (would you have filled me in on what we were doing here Alma? reg the ring and all?"

[Sarigan] )

[Alma] (Yes, on the way here... sorry :D)

[Medan] Mostly at the moment, I'm just trying to figure out whether to buy the thing or not!

[Alma] I don't think it was powerful enough to be an artifact though...

[Sarigan] Alma mentioned that the woman seemed quite in a hurry to get rid of it, mightn't it be dangerous then?

[Alma] Would you like to know anything more about previous owners?

[Medan] I think it could well be dangerous, yes. But still, people will pay for dangerous items...

[Medan] I've done some research of my own... I think I can safely say it matches the description of Noira Langevin's necklace, though I can't say for certain that it was hers.

[Alma] It could also just be a trinket ensorcelled to look worth more than it really is... :/

[Medan] Yes, it could.

[Sarigan] you mentioned that it could be spelled to change its apprearance - could it be that its enchanted to look like a fake?

[Sarigan] (er, a fake enchanted to look like the necklace in question)

[Medan] Yes. I don't know if that would account for the strength of the perceived magic, but perhaps...

[Alma] (Weaker than an artifact, stronger than a permanent spell?)

[Alma] (I suppose that depends on what spell is permanent doesn't it?)

[Narrator] Yes, it would depend on the level of the spell that was made permanent, but your general impression is that this was stronger than something like, say, a simple illusion made permanent.

  • Alma frowns a little.

[Medan] I'm leaning toward not buying it. I think it's got a lot of 'ifs' attached. But if I don't take it, someone else certainly will...

[Sarigan] you could certainly sell it as a curio if nothing else

[Sarigan] mystery enchantments and possibly seedy past and all that

[Medan] True enough.

  • Medan chuckles at that.

[Alma] It all depends on how much Mr. Conquaine wants to offer though :)

[Medan] There is that, too.

[Alma] Might I see it? I'm curious to try again, for whatever good :)

[Medan] Of course.

[Sarigan] you mentioned she seemed quite keen on being rid of it, that could mean a good deal for you

  • Medan will retrieve it from the safe.
  • Sarigan perks up, always interested in seeing Alma do her thing

[Alma] ("Noira" was three owners ago, or two?)

[Narrator] well, theoretially, three, as best as you can tell

[Alma] (I assume that this power treats certain people as non-owners, like people who move it, transport it, etc.)

[Narrator] Yeah. I forget the exact wording, but it doesn't count those sorts of people.

  • Alma will try to read the owner after our assumed "Noira" owner, how they gained and lost the item (DC 17?)

[Narrator] Okay, so two owners back, how they gained and lost it?

[Alma] (Yup)

[Narrator] Yeah, DC 17.

  • Alma casts Guidance first -_-

[Alma] (25)

[Narrator] That owner was given it in payment for a murder, and lost it by giving it to a lover.

[Alma] :o

  • Alma looks aghast

[Medan] Is something wrong?

  • Sarigan watches intently

[Alma] It... it was given in payment for a murder...

[Medan] o_O

[Alma] And was given to a lover.

  • Alma hands it back.

[Medan] Well.

  • Medan takes it and wraps it up again.

[Medan] I think I *will* buy this. It's too interesting to pass up.

[Sarigan] O.O

[Medan] Thank you for your help, Sister.

[Sarigan] well thats certainly seedy enough

[Alma] Not a problem Mr. Conquaine...

[Medan] Indeed!

[Alma] I'm sorry I can't provide solid proof of its nature... but I have yet to find myself making a mistake.

[Sarigan] your ability is astounding sister.

  • Medan nods.

[Medan] I understand. Thank you.

Seth and Vereth

[Narrator] Seth, morning brings you to Vereth's home, as it so often does. Fortunately, as he so often is, her husband is away on business.

  • Seth enters through a back entryway.
  • Vereth is tall, with short, straight brown hair and a prominent nose. She may not be conventionally beautiful, but her face has considerable character.

[Vereth] Good morning, Seth.

[Seth] Oh ... hi.

  • Vereth is poring over some blueprints.

[Seth] What are you doing?

[Vereth] Considering.

[Vereth] With the Empress dead, some of the Imperial property here might finally come up for sale.

[Vereth] I'd love to get my hands on Stone's End, see what's actually under there...

  • Vereth says, gesturing to the plans.

[Seth] Mmm ...

[Seth] Any hypotheses?

[Vereth] Stone's End is a rambling series of joined tenement houses and shops that runs from Butcher's Row to Falcon Lane to Three Dagger Court and backs onto the Down. It was built about two hundred years ago as decent lower-middle class housing and shops, but it's been abandoned for quite a while.

  • Seth nods.

[Vereth] Empress Tristane bought it about fifty years ago and it's remained in Imperial hands since then, though not much has been done with it.

[Vereth] I think it was built on some older structures, though. There's got to be *something* under there.

[Seth] I suppose what happens with it now depends on who is chosen.

[Vereth] Yes, very much so.

[Vereth] And whether there's actually something worthwhile under there, and whether they know about it or not.

[Seth] Right ...

[Seth] Have you been paying attention at all to the politics?

  • Vereth shrugs.

[Vereth] It's all foolishness.

[Seth] Yeah ... of course.

[Vereth] Someone will be chosen, things will go on. I don't much care who it is, as long as they're an idiot about architecture.

  • Seth chuckles.

[Seth] I ... I heard something the other evening.

[Vereth] What was that?

[Seth] Well, just a few words exchanged after the lecture, between Vianca and Obadiah.

[Seth] [w] ... about the Arch.

[Vereth] o_O

[Seth] Vianca was explaining that she knew how it could be re-forged.

[Seth] It was ... odd.

[Vereth] Hm.

[Vereth] Well, it doesn't entirely surprise me that she would say that - whether it's true or not is another matter, I suppose.

[Seth] Neither she nor Obadiah thought it was a good idea, mind you ... just that it could be done.

  • Vereth nods.

[Vereth] People say it can be done - I'd believe it if they ever proposed some concrete plan. Until then, it's just talk.

[Seth] Sometimes I wonder, though, you know, whether it might be better than all this.

[Vereth] Well, things were simpler back then, I guess.

[Seth] Exactly ... more orderly, and not so ... crass.

  • Vereth laughs at that.

[Vereth] Crass isn't always a bad thing ;)

[Seth] Well, I just mean, everyone making all these promises, these ... these weak-minded people plotting and ... ugh.

  • Seth makes a disgusted face.

[Seth] Menard's brother Marl is in the running, I hear.

[Vereth] Really? You could be friends with the emperor's brother? That would be... interesting.

[Seth] Yeah, except the emperor's brother would think that his brother is an idiot.

  • Vereth laughs.

[Vereth] Oh, he might come around once the power goes to his head a little.

[Seth] Well ... yeah. But he's exactly the kind of person who would have been too cowardly to put himself forward, in the past ...

[Vereth] I see what you're saying...

[Seth] Anyway ... I guess it won't be so bad. As long as the Levellers don't mess with things.

[Vereth] I wouldn't count on it. They'll try, at least.

[Seth] Yeah. :/

[Vereth] That could be a void of a mess. I just hope it doesn't interfere with any of my projects.

[Seth] Are there members of the Society who support them?

[Vereth] Gods, probably.

[Vereth] Intellectuals will support any voided thing they can think of, they don't figure it'll ever get their hands dirty.

[Seth] Yeah, I guess so.

[Seth] Do you think it is going to be possible for people like us to just stay above the fray though?

[Vereth] I don't know. I'm planning to ignore it and hope they sort it out soon.\

  • Seth nods.

[Seth] Me too.

[Seth] So what are your plans for the rest of today then?

[Vereth] Oh, I don't know... now that you're here, I can probably come up with something, though.

  • Seth chuckles.

[Seth] ... I've missed you.

[Vereth] Gods, it hasn't been *that* long. What are you, eighteen? ;)

  • Seth laughs.

[Seth] Yup, which means that every day is a much larger proportion of my lifespan to date! It seems much longer! :)

[Vereth] Poor baby. Come upstairs, then, and we'll see how long we can make this afternoon seem ;)

  • Seth takes Vereth's hand tenderly.

Sarigan and Lora

[Narrator] Sarigan, you have agreed to meet Lora for that promised walking tour.

  • Sarigan seems a little nervous, and likely fidgets some
  • Lora is waiting for you at the door of the Antiquarian Society's meeting hall, wearing a bonnet over her dark brown hair and a pretty if somewhat faded print dress that doesn't fit her perfectly, as though it's second- or perhaps third-hand.

[Lora] Good afternoon :)

[Sarigan] Hello Lora :) thank you for joining me

[Lora] It's a pleasure.

[Sarigan] you uh.. you look nice.

[Lora] Thank you.

  • Lora says, blushing slightly.

[Sarigan] Have you been about much at all in town here?

[Sarigan] or is there anything in particular your interested in?

[Lora] Well, I've mostly seen around this neighbourhood. Maybe we could walk somewhere else - maybe to see the noble's houses or something like that?

[Sarigan] alright, there are some nice gardens in that area also

[Lora] That sounds nice :)

[Sarigan] How is working with Prof Grenrake?

  • Lora will take your arm as you walk.

[Lora] It's all right... she's been quite kind to me, really, I can't complain.

  • Sarigan blushes when she does so

[Sarigan] Shes given some intersting talks at the society

[Lora] She certainly knows a lot, that's for sure.

[Lora] I don't always know the answers to the questions she asks.

  • Sarigan smiles

[Sarigan] well I know that feeling.

[Sarigan] The society is full of people who seem to know a lot more then I do.

  • Lora smiles back at that.

[Lora] I don't even know how I know the things I do know, if that makes any sense at all.

[Sarigan] it does actually...

[Lora] I can't remember anything before about a month ago.

[Sarigan] that must be very frustrating for you

[Lora] They said they found me wandering in the street, um, naked.

[Lora] So they took me to the Mercy Terrace asylum.

[Sarigan] ... :/

[Lora] I guess its director knows Professor Grenrake, and she told her about me, and that was how she came to take me out of there.

[Sarigan] I'm glad she did.

[Lora] Me too.

  • Lora says fervently.

[Lora] Whatever's wrong with me, I don't think I'm crazy like the people in there are.

[Sarigan] no, of course not

[Sarigan] what kind of research are you doing with Prof Grenrake, if you don't mind my asking

[Lora] Well.... I don't know exactly how I can explain it. Mostly she asks me questions about my... my past lives, if that's what they are. That's mostly all that I can remember, so it's easy to talk about, at least.

[Lora] I think she's trying to figure out if what I can remember is true or not.

[Sarigan] What do you think?

[Lora] If it's not true, then.... then I don't have anything.

[Lora] So I hope it's true. It seems too real not to be.

[Sarigan] I've heard superstition that people who remember their past lives sometimes also have other abilities

[Lora] Like what?

  • Lora asks curiously.

[Sarigan] I'm not sure, really - things like a gift for art, or other knowledges or some such

[Lora] Oh. That's interesting.

[Lora] I don't think I have any gifts or knowledges, though :/

[Sarigan] What sort of things do you recall?

[Sarigan] if this talk bores you, thats ok..

  • Sarigan says quickly

[Lora] No, it's okay.

[Lora] I remember... five people's lives. Not every single thing about them, but enough.

[Sarigan] I'm just interested in learning about you

[Lora] Two men, and three women. Some of them lived a very long time ago...

[Lora] All different Houses, different lives... some died young and some lived to be very old...

[Lora] It's strange - they feel so much more real than I do.

[Lora] :/

[Sarigan] you're real enough Lora :)

  • Lora smiles at that.

[Sarigan] the fir..

  • Sarigan stops short and just turns red

[Lora] I'm sorry, was it something I said?

  • Sarigan shakes his head

[Sarigan] sorry, I just... when I saw you at the meeting, it seemed like..

[Sarigan] well, like you were glowing

  • Lora looks puzzled.

[Lora] Glowing?

[Sarigan] - I don't mean anything disrespectful

[Sarigan] :(

[Sarigan] brighter then everyone else there

[Lora] No, it's all right, I'm just confused, I guess. You mean, actually glowing?

[Sarigan] (if I recall, it was an actual glow)

[Narrator] (yes)

[Sarigan] it sounds like a cheesy line - I know - but I promise its not

  • Lora smiles slightly.

[Lora] Well. That's ... very strange, then.

[Sarigan] (was it colored or any such?)

[Narrator] Just sort of white/light coloured.

[Sarigan] Just a bit of a.. a whitish glow. It made you seem more real then anyone else there.

[Lora] Do you think Professor Grenrake should know about it?

[Lora] Maybe it means something...

[Sarigan] maybe.. but you were in the doorway. Maybe I imagined it?

[Lora] Oh. Maybe...

[Lora] I sort of hope not, though :)

  • Sarigan sounds like he doesn't really think he imagined it
  • Lora says, giving your arm a little friendly squeeze.

[Narrator] (okay, I'll move on in just a sec, unless you have anything more to add :)

[Sarigan] (just to suggest that she meet my good friend Q, under some excuse, at a later date)

[Sarigan] (we can call that assumed though, and move on :))

  • Lora will gladly meet your friend. You have a lovely afternoon walk together :)

[Narrator] (brb, then)

Council Meeting

[Narrator] The Hall of Worthies, where the Great Council meet, is a large-domed circular building in the Imperial City, designed to accommodate a thousand or so nobles and their respective attendants.

[Narrator] Each House has its own designated seating area around the perimeter of the arena-like hall, with the most prominent and prestigious title-holders and the members of the Outer Council nearest to the centre. The sections are divided from one another by stairs leading down to the centre or up to the gallery that surrounds the entire hall.

[Narrator] In the central open area is a smaller section of enclosed seats reserved for the Inner Council, circling around the empty throne at the precise centre of the hall, positioned so that the light from above falls dramatically onto the place where the Emperor should sit - now, of course, empty.

[Narrator] As the handful of House Rat nobles do not have a designated area in which to sit, nor would they be able to fill it if they did, they have been assigned seats in the section belonging to whichever House currently holds the throne - still, at least for the next few days, House Ox.

[Narrator] Sort of toward the back, though. Not the good seats or anything.

[Guillame] . o O (Grr.)

[Narrator] All eyes are, of course, on the members of House Wolf, from whose midst will come the nominees for the throne.

[Narrator] After the Council is presented with the nominees and each of them have made a short speech, it is customary for everyone to retire to the Imperial Palace for food and drink, and a preliminary opportunity for everyone to speak to the candidates or begin negotiating their votes.

[Narrator] The candidates will spend the next three days busily trying to convince people to vote for them, before going into three days of seclusion, originally intended to prepare them for the test of the Arch, but now done partly out of tradition and partly to prevent them from trying to manipulate the electoral process.

[Narrator] It is during those final three days that the Emperor will be chosen, crowned and announced to the public on the tenth day following the old Empress's death.

[Narrator] Guillame, Fern indicated that she was perfectly happy to attend the Levellers' assembly alone, and that of course you should stand by your mother if that was your duty.

[Guillame] (nod - I would have tried to persuade her to take some company)

[Narrator] She's stubborn, but probably you could convince her ;)

[Guillame] (good good :) )

[Narrator] You and your mother are seated almost at the very top of the auditorium, at the back of the section reserved for House Ox.

[Narrator] Of course, there are only about a dozen noble families of House Rat, so even all together you don't take up much space.

[Narrator] You know all of them by sight, naturally enough. Ciatha is present with her father, the Duke of Romershoven, and she waves prettily at you when you enter, though her father sniffs and gives you only the barest nod of greeting.

  • Guillame nods politely to Ciatha

[Guillame] (if slightly coldly)

[Narrator] Alma, your seat is, of course, much better than Guillame's, more toward the middle-to-front of the House Owl section.

[Narrator] You only vaguely know the people on either side of you.

  • Alma will have Marielle find out who anyone is she doesn't recognise?

[Alma] (Well anyoen nearby.)

[Narrator] (okay, I'll presume you do so)

  • Alma is dressed in appropriate noble finery with her holy symbol prominent.

[Narrator] The Hall is gradually filling up as people arrive and find their seats.\

  • Alma wishes she knew more...

[Narrator] Ilphere, the Hall of Worthies is rather more large and intimidating than you'd expected, but you find your place easily enough - they have ushers to make sure everyone gets where they're supposed to be.

[Ilphere] . o O ( Goodness me! )

[Narrator] Fortunately, you find yourself seated beside a somewhat familiar face - Anstine Kypros, from the Antiquarian Society.

  • Anstine is in his mid-forties, with black hair that sweeps back from his forehead. He is quite a bit shorter than you, and slenderly built.
  • Anstine stands to greet you politely.

[Anstine] Mademoiselle deQuessenet, I did not expect to see you here.

[Anstine] Then again, I did not expect to be here myself.

[Ilphere] I could say the same of myself... :)

[Ilphere] My grandmother wished for me to come in her stead.

[Anstine] Ah, yes, I understand.

[Anstine] My uncle, the count of Dyrrachium, has designated me to stand in his place - the journey would have been difficult for him, since he is quite elderly now, and as I am already here...

  • Anstine shrugs.
  • Ilphere nods in understanding.

[Anstine] I suppose this will be an interesting experience, however.

[Ilphere] Oh yes, I am learning so much...!

[Narrator] A bell tolls, and people who were chatting begin to quiet down, taking their seats.

  • Adrius Armitage, the Lord Chancellor, is also the leader of the Great Council when the Emperor is not present.

[Adrius] I hereby call this session of the Great Council of Aveyrone to order!

[Adrius] Let the House of the Wolf send forth their speaker.

[Narrator] House Wolf have designated as their speaker the eldest high-ranking noble present, Guenael Falgout, Duchess of Breese.

  • Guenael is in her mid-eighties, plump and grey-haired but still steady on her feet as she stands. Her voice quavers slightly, but otherwise carries well in the large auditorium.

[Guenael] We, the bearers of noble title of the House of the Wolf, do hereby take up our duty to present before the Great Council those whom we feel would be suitable to assume the title and responsibilities of Emperor.

[Guenael] We assert that, to the best of our knowledge, each of these candidates is a trueborn member of House Wolf, never sworn to the church, of sound mind and body.

[Adrius] Then let the nominees stand forth as they are named.

[Guenael] Fredericia Hartzell.

[Guenael] Marl Kizer.

[Guenael] Lavinie Rademacher.

[Narrator] As each candidate is named, they rise from their seats and stand so that all can see them.

[Adrius] Very well...

  • Aden stands. He is in his early twenties, fairly ordinary-looking, with medium brown hair cut short and green eyes. He is dressed in plain, sensible clothing, despite his noble background.

[Aden] My lords, ladies, members of the Inner Council, your Holinesses, I beg your leave to speak.

[Alma] .oO( I... don't think that's supposed to happen. )

[Adrius] ...

[Adrius] Very well, speak.

  • Ilphere looks questioningly at Anstine.

[Ilphere] . o O ( what is going on...? )

  • Guillame listens, interested

[Aden] I am of House Wolf, and of noble birth, never sworn to the church, and of sound mind and body. It is true that I do not have the support of my House to nominate me. But nowhere is it written that such support is required - only the consent of the Great Council as a whole.

[Aden] We are living in an age of changes, when the ways we have grown accustomed to doing things are no longer sufficient. But it was not always the case that nominations were controlled and dictated solely by the titled nobles of each respective House.

[Aden] I am simply proposing a partial return to the ways of our ancestors, who allowed for the possibility that anyone, not merely their own chosen puppets, might be suited to lead this great Empire of ours.

[Aden] I therefore nominate myself for the position of Emperor of Aveyrone.

[Narrator] There is quite a bit of murmuring at this.

  • Loick Silveira also stands, over in the House Cat section.
  • Loick is the current Duke of Brissarthe, a tall, handsome young man of about twenty-five years. His striking silver-blond hair is tied back from his face.

[Loick] Patriarch, members of the Inner Council, lords and ladies of Aveyrone, my peers, I too humbly beg your leave to speak.

  • Guillame glances at Janelle

[Loick] For too long, our Empire has shackled itself to the constraints of an outmoded House system, denying itself many excellent candidates for the throne simply because it was not their turn.

[Loick] My House will not take the throne, under the present system, for perhaps another fifty years or more. By that time, if I am still fortunate enough to be alive, I will be far too old to serve the Empire. I ask you, is this just?

[Loick] Does this arbitrary rotation of the Houses guarantee fairness? Of course it does not. Recent events serve to remind us that any ruler may perish after far too short a rule, and yet their House is thereafter denied the opportunity to govern for the length of the reigns of *five* other monarchs - a century and a half out of power, if not longer, all due to accidents of fate.

[Loick] I do not propose that we undertake the radicalism of those who advocate for anyone at all to be able to nominate themselves for the highest position in our land, for such a system - if one can even call it such - would bring about chaos.

[Loick] I merely suggest that we no longer allow ourselves to be bound to an obsolete custom that denies all but a few of our number the chance to reign, no matter their background, skill, or qualifications.

[Ilphere] [m] Oh dear...

[Loick] I therefore nominate myself for the position of Emperor of Aveyrone...

[Narrator] There are outcries from many around the hall, some rising to their feet in surprise or anger.

  • Alma takes a deep breath.

[Narrator] Many eyes are also upon Leoncienne Silveira, Loick's aunt and the current Chamberlain, to gauge her reaction to this breach of tradition.

  • Leoncienne is an enormously tall woman in her late thirties with short-cropped red hair. She seems unsurprised, but also unimpressed.
  • Ilphere hides her eyes as if horribly embarrassed.
  • Adrius calls repeatedly for silence, and eventually the crowd settles down.

[Adrius] My lords and ladies, please, resume your seats.

  • Adrius says calmly.
  • Alma looks about to gauge the reaction of House Owl.

[Narrator] (House Owl are seriously unimpressed.)

[Adrius] I, for one, believe that it would do no harm to permit these two candidates, Monsieur Olivier and my lord of Brissarthe, to stand for the position they so obviously desire.

  • Guillame is doing similar, especially toward Janelle

[Narrator] More murmuring from the crowd.

[Alma] (Any more so than the other houses?)

[Narrator] (Janelle looks intrigued)

[Narrator] (Yes, well, maybe except Wolf - they look more pissed than anyone ;)

  • Guillame smiles, excited

[Adrius] If either has sufficient support to be elected, then it will be obvious that our will is for change.

[Adrius] If, however, neither has that support, then our feelings will also be made clear on the matter, and perhaps that will be sufficient to bring this debate to a close.

[Adrius] However, it is not my place or that of any other individual to decide this matter. I propose, therefore, that we put it to a vote of the Great Council.

[Adrius] Two votes, I suppose.

  • Adrius amends, with pointed looks at both of them.

[Adrius] I hereby call for an hour's recess, in order that the honourable members of the council may consider their decisions. When we reconvene, we will vote.

[Ilphere] . o O ( Goodness, what would Grand-Mère think? )

[Narrator] The bell tolls again, and chaos erupts in the Hall.

  • Alma clutches her holy symbol anxiously.

[Ilphere] Oh my Gods, what a confusion!

[Anstine] Not quite what I was expecting...

  • Anstine says, putting it mildly.

[Guillame] Well, that was refreshing...

  • Adrius is now known as Janelle

[Ilphere] :o

[Janelle] Good heavens.

[Janelle] We need to confer...

  • Alma looks around for House Owl nobles she may know, from Montfaucon or Marignane perhaps @_@
  • Janelle says to the other nobles of your House, who agree.
  • Guillame agrees too!

[Ilphere] I wonder what will happen...!

[Narrator] (okay, switching scenes for a moment...)


Leveller's Rally

[Narrator] The Levellers' rally is to begin in the main market square of the Place d'Iena. The shops are mainly still closed for the period of mourning, but numerous more mobile vendors are taking advantage of the crowds gathering there to hawk their wares.

[Narrator] At one end of the square is a series of wide stone steps. Once they no doubt led to something, but now they terminate at a flat, open platform, surmounted only by a single broken column. This space is often used for public announcements and, occasionally, insane ranting.

[Narrator] Which this day will bring has yet to be determined, but many people have gathered to watch, at least.

[Narrator] In addition to the crowds of curious onlookers and the Levellers themselves (numerous and quite visible, with their white cockades pinned to their hats or at their breasts), there are also a not-inconsiderable number of guards strategically positioned throughout the square, armed and wary.

[Narrator] (My understanding was that Altheo and Sanadhil were planning to attend, am I right? Anyone else I'm not aware of?)

[Sarigan] (I was going, I believe)

[Alma] (Jodie said Sarigan was going to lurk)

[Narrator] Okay :)

[Altheo] (I'm there.)

[Sanadhil] (yarr)

[Narrator] Sanadhil, you are hanging around, not exactly mingling with the crowds, when someone tugs you on the sleeve.

  • Sanadhil looks over

[Fleurisse] Hello, Sanadhil! I hardly expected to run into you here :)

  • Fleurisse is very short, with neat curly blonde hair and blue eyes. She wears a simple dress with a sensibly-raised hemline for walking through muddy streets, rather than the scholarly robes you are more accustomed to seeing her in, or the noblewoman's gowns you presume she must wear outside of the Castalia.

[Sanadhil] Ahh, hello, Fleurisse.

[Fleurisse] What brings you out today? :)

[Sanadhil] One doesn't commonly get to witness these sorts of events - curiousity.

[Sanadhil] And yourself?

[Fleurisse] Oh, I just came along for a lark. I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about.

  • Fleurisse smiles up at you brightly.

[Sanadhil] I suspect there's wuite a few here of the same mind

  • Sanadhil looks out across the sea of people.

[Fleurisse] Probably.

  • Fleurisse hops up to try and see better.

[Sanadhil] Not much happening yet though...

[Fleurisse] I'm sure it'll pick up soon.

[Fleurisse] Maybe there'll be a riot!

  • Sanadhil raises his eyebrows

[Fleurisse] Well, just a little one. It might be exciting :)

[Fleurisse] Don't worry, I'll protect you ;)

[Sanadhil] Hopefully not *too* exciting. I can never comprehend people who seek to make their points through violence...

[Sanadhil] How generous.

  • Sanadhil smiles a little.

[Fleurisse] Since I learned to cast magic missiles, my parents have been much less concerned about making sure I'm properly guarded at all times ;)

[Sanadhil] I see - though I didn't thik you were interested in the magical arts?

[Fleurisse] Not really, but I thought I should pick up a little something ;)

[Fleurisse] I doubt I'll bother going much further with it - I prefer history.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] There are other school of magic better suited to a diplomat in any case - though perhaps they would not be as helpful in assuring your parents.

[Fleurisse] Maybe.

[Fleurisse] I haven't really made up my mind about it all yet.

[Fleurisse] Ooh, look, they're starting!

  • Sanadhil starts to reply, but looks over towards the action

[Narrator] Meanwhile, over where Altheo's standing...

  • Altheo is watching everything with interest.

[Narrator] Altheo, you see several other Spokesmen in the area - your friend Ramon Lozada is one of them.

[Sarigan] (if at any point I saw someone from the society here, I would trot over and join them :))

[Narrator] (You could spot Sanadhil, and talk to him in #gnomeland if you like :)

  • Altheo will saunter over that way then.
  • Ramon is a knight in his mid-twenties with curly honey-blond hair that he keeps short and striking violet eyes. He is wiry rather than hugely muscular, but you know he's quite capable with that sword he has at his hip.

[Ramon] Oh, hello Altheo :)

[Altheo] Hello. Are you here in an official capacity?

[Ramon_] Not really...

[Ramon_] I'm just hoping everything stays under control here. It feels as though everything in this city's going crazy.

[Altheo] Well, to be fair, its not that if just feels that way. It really kind of is.

[Ramon_] Don't I know it.

[Ramon_] Not just now... things have been crazy for a few years, at least.

[Altheo] Sometimes I think its been far longer than that.

[Ramon_] Probably. Maybe I just didn't notice it before then...

[Altheo] it was just everyone was so comfortable with it that no one complained.

[Ramon_] Ever since my father passed away, though...

  • Ramon_ shrugs.
  • Altheo nods.

[Ramon_] I thought it was just my family, but I think it's actually the whole Empire that's gone mad.

[Altheo] people need to belive in their ruler.

[Altheo] I'm not quite sure the best way to give them that.

[Ramon_] Neither is anyone else, I don't think.

  • Altheo chuckles.

[Altheo] If the church wasn't so divided I'd sugest a theocracy.

  • Ramon_ smiles faintly at that.

[Ramon_] Probably things will sort themselves out. At least, I hope they will.

[Ramon_] Oh look, I think they're starting.

  • Altheo looks on to see how it goes.

[Altheo] Do you think there are enough guards here to contain this if it goes bad?

[Ramon_] I think so, but people would die.

  • Ramon_ says matter-of-factly.
  • Altheo nods in agreement.
  • Altheo waits to see what the levelers plan on saying.
  • Thea climbs the steps to the platform. She is an attractive young woman in her mid-twenties, with a long cascade of auburn hair and a slender figure clothed in a simple dress.

[Thea] Levellers, thank you for showing your support!

[Thea] Change is coming, my friends!

[Thea] Those stuffed shirts and bustles in the Great Council would love to keep the power all to themselves, but they can't hang on forever! Their grip is already starting to slip!

[Thea] Do their long-dead ancestors make them better than us? Does their blood give them the right to lord over us?

[Narrator] The crowd shout back an enthusiastic 'No!'

[Thea] Then let's make sure they know their days are numbered!

[Thea] Let them hear your voices - let them know that you count!

  • Thea raises her fist in the air, and many of the crowd cheer, doing likewise.
  • Thea jumps down from the platform and begins to walk in the direction of the Market Bridge, clearly heading for the Hall of Worthies. Many of the crowd follow her, still shouting and chanting.

[Narrator] Many of the guards also go along, though some remain at the Place d'Iena to make sure the remaining citizens disperse themselves.

  • Altheo will follow along as well, but clearly not part of the parade.
  • Sanadhil will place himself on the fringe of the crowd, so that he can still see what is going on but is les likely to be in any real danger should somnethig happen

Guillame and Ciatha

[Narrator] Okay, back to the Great Council now, where everyone is trying to figure out what to do.

[Janelle] I have to confer with the rest of our House, dear. If you can keep an ear out and try to get a sense of what other Houses are thinking, of course we'd be grateful.

  • Janelle says to her son.\

[Guillame] Of course

  • Guillame scans the crowd for people he knows

[Narrator] As you scan, Ciatha comes up to you.

  • Ciatha is very pretty, with fine blonde hair and green eyes.
  • Guillame pretends to be absorbed in scanning the crowd

[Ciatha] Isn't this all madness, Guillame? What do you think will happen? :o

  • Ciatha says, ignoring your pretending to ignore her.
  • Guillame looks around as if startled

[Guillame] Oh, hello

[Ciatha] Hello :)

[Guillame] Yes, it is a bit unorthodox

[Ciatha] I haven't seen you for simply *ages*, what have you been doing?

[Guillame] Oh, I've been studying at home, mostly.

[Ciatha] Oh.

  • Ciatha clearly thinks that sounds boring.
  • Guillame smiles

[Ciatha] Come, walk with me while they're doing all their boring talking!

[Guillame] I'm not sure what will happen here - I confess I hope the wheel will be overturned...

[Guillame] Ok, I suppose that would be fine. I mustn't leave the hall, though.

[Ciatha] Oh, of course :)

  • Guillame motions in the direction of house wolf
  • Ciatha leads you up the stairs to the gallery that surrounds the auditorium, which is currently rather crowded with people trying to get to one member or another and gauge or sway their opinion.

[Ciatha] Now, Guillame, I know things have been ...difficult between us lately. But I want to put all of that in the past!

  • Ciatha says as you walk.
  • Guillame tries to keep an ear out for interesting conversations

[Guillame] Oh?

  • Guillame says as if distracted

[Ciatha] I understand that you need your, your space or what have you, but honestly, this is getting ridiculous!

[Ciatha] Just say the word and things can be the way they used to be. Daddy's cross about the whole business, of course, but he'll come around.

  • Ciatha presses herself against you, quite close, and smiles up at you fetchingly.
  • Guillame nods absently, gazing ahead

[Guillame] . o O (Oh dear...)

[Narrator] Down this way, it's less crowded, though there are still some people conferring quietly while smoking their pipes or simply getting some fresh air. Servants also hurry to and fro, no doubt carrying important messages for their masters and mistresses.

[Narrator] One noblewoman hurries past as quickly as she's able to in her encumbering gown, a servant trailing after her.

[Noblewoman] ... And get Argo here as quickly as you can, it looks like we have a job for him...

  • Noblewoman wears the colours of House Wolf.
  • Guillame frowns

[Ciatha] Are you listening to me?

[Ciatha] I'm trying to make things right again, and you ignore me! :(

[Guillame] Of course, of course... where are we?

[Guillame] Oh, Ciatha, I'm sorry. I'm so concerned about what will happen at this council, you see...

  • Ciatha pouts.

[Ciatha] Fine, if that's more important to you.

[Guillame] Here, I'll talk to Mother about taking some time off from my studies

  • Ciatha looks pleased.

[Guillame] Maybe then we'll have time to talk things over

[Ciatha] Good!

  • Ciatha gives you a quick kiss on the cheek, then, and leaves you to your wandering and eavesdropping.
  • Guillame waves, then starts looking for anyone he might know

Alma and Silana

[Narrator] Alma, you wanted to find someone from Marignane or Montfaucon?

  • Silana Arguelles is the duchess of Marignane, you can spot her.
  • Silana is in her late sixties, with long curly hair that was once red.
  • Alma will head towards her.

[Alma] (How do I greet her?)

[Silana] ('Your grace' would be fine)

  • Alma will approach and wait for an appropriate moment to intrude.
  • Silana spots you and waves you closer.
  • Alma will approach.

[Alma] Your grace.

[Silana] Alma, dear, what unfortunate circumstances to meet under.

  • Alma curtsies if appropriate.

[Silana] This is like some sort of nightmare, don't you think?

[Alma] I had hoped the Great Council would go smoother :(

[Silana] I think we all did - naively, it would seem.

[Silana] It's madness, truly.

[Alma] What do you plan to do, Duchess?

[Silana] Our only hope of getting things back on track at this point is for us to vote those upstarts down and proceed as usual.

[Silana] If they're permitted to stand, even if they don't win, this will only happen again and again, until the whole system collapses.

[Silana] I'm only afraid that others won't see it that way.

  • Alma nods, still unsure herself...

[Alma] What of House Rat, Duchess?

  • Silana shakes her head.

[Alma] Will they not seek their own turn?

[Silana] Who knows what they'll do? They probably *want* to bring the system down so they can get their grubby little paws on the throne.

[Silana] Oh, I speak too harshly. I'm upset, that's all.

  • Alma nods...

[Alma] I ... am not sure I disagree with Aden, Duchess.

  • Silana blinks, slightly surprised at that.

[Silana] Well. Of course, that is your right, to vote as you see fit. He is known as a Leveller, though...

[Alma] I know... if Emperor he could change many things...

  • Silana nods.

[Silana] Quite right.

[Alma] I am more concerned in that respect with Loick Silveira...

[Alma] The Houses have served us, and the Gods, for thousands of years.

[Silana] Idiot boy, what was he thinking?

[Silana] The system has never been about ensuring 'fairness', whatever that means - it's about preventing civil war.

  • Alma mulls that over...

More Council Stuff

[Narrator] Ilphere, was there anyone you wanted to confer with during this recess?

[Ilphere] (I'm mostly trying to keep my head down, tbh)

[Ilphere] (unless *Vianca* is here ;)

[Narrator] (haha, no - you can keep your head down, that's fine)

[Ilphere] (K :)

[Narrator] After an hour, the bell tolls to summon everyone back into the hall for the vote.

[Alma] .oO( D: )

[Narrator] From outside the Hall of Worthies, you can hear a faint but steady stomping and chanting, which gradually increases in volume.

[Narrator] The Levellers and the followers they've accumulated over the course of their march, now numbering perhaps a thousand or more individuals, have reached the Hall. They cluster at the steps.

[Guillame] . o O (The march... )

[Narrator] There are guards at the edges of their group, and other guards have quickly lined the steps that lead into the Hall itself, guns at the ready to prevent the mob from storming the place.

  • Ilphere is feeling faintly nervous...
  • Guillame looks for Fern
  • Adrius seems slightly shaken up, but presses on nevertheless.
  • Altheo tries to stay near the front, to get the best view. Keeping Ramon with him if he can.

[Narrator] (You can't really see them closely - just a mass of people outside)

[Adrius] The first question before us is, will we permit Aden Olivier, son of the Duke of Greywatch, of the House of the Wolf, to stand as a candidate for the position of Emperor of the Aveyrone Empire in the forthcoming election, aye or nay?

[Adrius] Let all those in favour say 'aye'.

  • Ilphere is quiet

[Narrator] I'll be getting everyone here to vote, just out of curiosity - it may or may not determine the results ;)

[Alma] (Aaaaaarght)

[Guillame] Aye!

  • Guillame speaks loudly and clearly, then looks a little sheepish

[Narrator] (By everyone, I mean all you guys, not just the ones in the Council - I just want to know what you think ;)

[Sanadhil] (in private or not?)

[Narrator] (out here ;)

[Altheo] (oh, darn you! I wasn't expecting to have to think about that.)

[Altheo] (I vote against both motions.)

  • Alma says her Aye, hesitantly...

[Sanadhil] (I'm an outsider, I don't get a vote! :V Err... San doens't care, but I am inclined to let Aden stand, but not Loick ;)

[Ilphere] (I will also be voting 2x nay)

[Seth] (no and no)

[Ysabeau] (I guess I am for non-nobles to be able to be Emperor so I have to say aye to Aden, even if I think he sucks. ;) )

[Narrator] (Sarigan?)

[Sarigan] (thinking! sorry!)

[Narrator] (np, just making sure you saw :)

[Sarigan] (yes aden, no cat)

[Narrator] There are shouts of aye, and subsequent shouts of nay...

[Adrius] In the matter of Aden Olivier, I think the Ayes have it.

  • Adrius acknowledges.
  • Ilphere is surprised. :o

[Adrius] The second question before us is, will we permit the Duke of Brissarthe, Loick Silveira of the House of the Cat, to stand as a candidate for the position of Emperor of the Aveyrone Empire in the forthcoming election, aye or nay?

[Ilphere] (nayyyy)

  • Alma is not sure what emotions she feels at Aden's motion passing.

[Altheo] (nay)

[Alma] Nay!

  • Alma says with conviction.
  • Guillame looks to Janelle this time

[Seth] (nay)

[Narrator] (she's going with 'aye')

  • Guillame is glad

[Guillame] Aye!

[Guillame] (more conviction this time)

[Narrator] Wolf and Owl are opposed almost unanimously, Cat and Lizard almost unanimously in favour, Bear and Ox more split, Rat in favour.

[Adrius] On the matter of Loick Silveira, I think the Nays have it.

  • Guillame looks disappointed

Back to Levellers

  • Thea steps up, approaching the line of guards fearlessly. She holds her empty hands out as a gesture of peace.

[Thea] Let me in. I bear a message for the Great Council.

  • Adrius is now known as Guard

[Guard] We can't let you in, miss.

[Thea] You can't stop us from being heard!

  • Thea shouts, getting rather up in the guard's face.

[Guard] Step back!

  • Guard forces her back.
  • Thea stumbles down the flight of stone stairs, falling backwards and landing hard on the ground below.

[Narrator] Someone from the midst of the crowd - later, no one is sure who - throws a stone at the guards, hitting him in the face. He staggers back, and his gun goes off, firing over the heads of the assembly.

  • Ilphere jumps at the noise.

[Narrator] Some of the mob take off running, but others immediately rush up the stairs, and a struggle begins.

[Narrator] Certainly those of you inside the hall can hear the gunshot.

[Alma] :o

  • Altheo tries to help Ramon.
  • Adrius looks quite concerned now.
  • Alma calls Marielle to her in case she needs help moving in her dress.

[Adrius] Very well, I call this session of the Great Council to a close, and suggest we adjourn to the Palace.

[Narrator] Ushers begin escorting the nobles out of the building, through the servants' entrance.

  • Ilphere shifts around nervously, eager to leave/

[Alma] ...

  • Guillame waits to make sure all of his house leave safely

[Alma] Marielle, please tell the guards that I will remain to treat any wounded

[Alma] ... I think.

[Alma] Go.

[Narrator] Marielle will let you stay, though she's not happy about it.

  • Alma stares down at her dress.

[Guillame] Mother... Fern is supposed to be out there...

[Narrator] Janelle tells you to go find her, but stay safe.

  • Ilphere wonders how much her mother is going to freak out over this, and recalls the threat of the bodyguard... :(

[Narrator] Alma, are you going out, or just staying in the hall?

  • Guillame rushes to look for a way out front without leaving through the main doors

[Narrator] You could probably get out a window, Guillame.

  • Guillame will do that, then, and try to find somewhere with a view of the riot
  • Alma will approach the entrance cautiously...

[Narrator] Alma, outside it's basically chaos. The guards are firing into the crowd, who are mostly scattering at this point.

[Alma] .oO( Is this stupid... is this stupid... )

[Narrator] Altheo, Ramon is mostly engaged in trying to get people out of the way of being shot or trampled - you can certainly help in his efforts.

  • Altheo does.

[Alma] (Does it appear that guards are shooting when it is no longer necessary?)

[Narrator] Alma, you'd say yes. Though most of them are now putting aside their guns and descending the steps to try and round up the survivors.

[Narrator] There are several fallen bodies at the base of the steps.

  • Sanadhil would mage armour himself and Fleurisse if she is still with him, or Sarigan - I assume that was before I taked to Fleurisse?
  • Alma will get a guard to follow her.
  • Guillame rushes to the front if there are more gunshots
  • Alma will descend the steps to see to the wounded.

[Guillame] s/if/as

[Narrator] Okay - Alma, you can commandeer a guard to go with you, and try to heal some of the fallen.

[Narrator] Sanadhil, you can mage armor you and your companions and make your escape if you wish.

  • Sanadhil thiks that seems like a wise plan

[Narrator] Guillame, you rush to the front, trying to spot Fern, but you don't see her anywhere. Hopefully she's already gone, and not one of the fallen...

[Alma] (The only other thing I might do is, if guards are blatantly firing without need, try to get their names or tell a guard to go make them stop or like... I dunno, have htem excommunicated.)

[Alma] (Of course that's hard if a jugular is spurting in your face so...)

  • Sarigan will make a quick escape as soon as possible, and make his way to the nearest clinic/church what have you to help when wounded come in/try to help calm people who come in
  • Guillame will start checking bodies for survivors, and for if they are my mentor

[Narrator] Ilphere, you are safely escorted out the back of the hall and into the (much better-defended) palace complex.

[Ilphere] (woo!)

[Narrator] Guillame, you certainly will see Alma there, then, if you're checking bodies.

  • Guillame will help to point her toward people who need help
  • Alma 's expensive dress is probably covered in blood and dirt now ;_;
  • Altheo is helping the injured.

[Narrator] The crowd has completely dispersed by now, except for the dead and wounded, and all the guards have stopped firing now.

[Guillame] (How many bodies are there? Is it a massacre, or a few casualties?)

[Narrator] You would estimate about 15-20 or so.. Some might just be wounded.

  • Alma will essentially just stabilise and move on.

[Guillame] (ta)

  • Guillame keeps identifying wounded for Alma

[Alma] (And yes, I use magix :3)

  • Altheo will also first aid.

[Narrator] All of you, whether you were there or not, quickly learn about the events that took place - the papers are full of the news, and some bring out special editions that very evening to report on the massacre.

[Narrator] Thea Vermillion is reported wounded but alive, but there are said to be a dozen other casualties.

[Narrator] News about the doings in the Great Council also spread, of course.

[Narrator] Many account the day a great tragedy, but hold out hope that events may yet right themselves.

[Narrator] The end, for now...

Solos

Alma and Sarigan

[Alma] Oh there you are.

[Alma] I totally thought you weren't here.

[Alma] You were just up top

[Sarigan] its true

  • Alma sighs, rather contentedly, as the last parishioners trickle out after the service.

[Sarigan] are you feeling better about your meeting?

[Alma] Well... not exactly.

[Alma] I was a little more relaxed last night, but now 'tis the day, so I'm a bit nervous again :)

[Alma] If only the rest of today would go so easy as Brother Strauch's eulogy.

[Alma] I may still have time to visit Sister Beatrix though...

[Alma] (Actually for all I know I already have :P)

[Alma] What do you plan to do this afternoon?

[Sarigan] I'm sure that either way it will be fine. You must be at least a little excited about it.

[Alma] (I'll ask that later)

[Alma] I have faith that I alone cannot mess the whole thing up :)

[Alma] All the nobles of Aveyrone... in one place.

[Sarigan] It will be quite the event!

[Sarigan] I must admit I am a little jealous

[Alma] Really?

[Sarigan] hearing first hand all the arguments and such

[Sarigan] having a real hand in it all

[Alma] There may not be much to talk about at all...

[Alma] If things go simply, it could just be a confirmation of House Wolf's choice.

[Sarigan] Its still a big deal!

[Alma] True... it is history in the making.

[Sarigan] it could be a once in a lifetime thing - having a hand in the succession, even if its quick and easy

[Alma] I hear there's some sort of demonstration planned for today.

  • Sarigan nods

[Sarigan] I'm planning on heading out to that and see what its all about

[Alma] You'll have to tell me how it goes... but be careful, people sound a little worried about it?

[Sarigan] I don't plan on getting involved with anything, so I should be alright.

[Sarigan] I imagine I'll see some faces from the society there as well - its to big of a curiousity for folks as nosy as we are to pass on :)

[Alma] True :)

[Alma] I was wondering if you would like to join me to view the procession?

[Sarigan] that would be nice!

[Sarigan] Thank you :)

[Alma] I thought my carriage might be more comfortable than jostling for a spot in the crowd :)

[Alma] It will let you get a better view at least.

[Sarigan] it will be much more fun to have someone to chat with about it all also

  • Alma looks out over the nearly empty church.

[Alma] Well... if you'll excuse me for now Brother Sarigan, I'd best make sure i'm ready to go :)

[Sarigan] of course sister :) I will see you later

[Alma] ---

  • Alma and Sarigan settle into her carriage again.

[Sarigan] have you always had that ability Alma?

  • Sarigan says carefully, as though not sure how much you would want to talk about it

[Alma] No... at least not that I remember.

[Alma] When I was a little younger than you I started getting... flashes of insight into certain things.

[Sarigan] If you don't mind my asking, when did it manifest?

  • Sarigan nods

[Alma] It started innocently enough... I would just be holding something... wondering whose it was, where it came from...

[Alma] If it wasn't for its accuracy, I might have dismissed it as my imagination.

[Sarigan] was that what first influenced you to join the clergy?

[Alma] No, I had been interested in the priesthood since before that...

[Alma] When my mother died, I saw how much comfort the priest brought my family, and I admired him for it.

[Sarigan] it must have been difficult to lose her so young

[Alma] It was. My poor brother barely got to know her.

[Sarigan] He was lucky to have you then.

[Alma] Actually, mostly his father :)

[Alma] I left Béziers for the seminary not many years later.

[Alma] (Your story is that you're an orphan?)

[Sarigan] (pretty much - he just says that he doesn't have any parents when asked)

[Sarigan] Is it a family gift? You hear of that sort of thing now and again.

[Alma] Not that I know of...

[Alma] I'm not sure what it is, to be honest.

[Alma] When I was young and impressionable, I thought it might be a gift from the Gods.

[Alma] Now I don't know...

[Sarigan] why wouldn't be a gift from the gods?

[Alma] It could... but I have no way of knowing that.

[Sarigan] just a little more unusual then others :)

[Alma] Maybe someday I'll find out what it is.

[Sarigan] I suppose I think of all our abilities as gifts from the gods.

[Sarigan] maybe I am to.. nieve?

[Alma] Well, they are... but they come with years of study and dedication

[Alma] Not a few afternoons wandering an aunt's home :)

[Sarigan] I mean more what we're good at. A talent for making other people open up, a flare for language, the ability to make others happy.

[Sarigan] :)

[Alma] Oh :)

[Alma] I see...

[Alma] -..

[Sarigan] like I said, maybe a little hokey

[Sarigan] :)

[Sarigan] but I'm alowed a little hokeyness, I'm a cleric :P

[Alma] Very true :)

[Alma] I wish it was easier to prove what I feel... perhaps they are long dead, but I am concerned a murder may have gone unpunished.

[Sarigan] if it really did belong to who she says it did, it may have had political implications as well!

[Alma] Perhaps... but I expect most people in the life of Noira Langevin have already been discredited.

[Alma] She was a traitor in the Blackhope Rebellion, fifty years ago.

[Sarigan] Is that why you keep it so hush hush, becuase its so hard to prove what you can do?

  • Sarigan nods to that

[Alma] Yes, in part. And it doesn't really serve a real purpose...

[Sarigan] its interesting. I am sure that some people at the society would be eager to study it... though that might not be very pleasant for you

[Alma] Mr. Sleyght uses my information as a starting point for his research... but the average person wouldn't benefit.

[Alma] (Theodore Sleyght is in the Society, in case you don't have him as an NPC)

[Sarigan] it could have practical applications - ownership disputes for example

[Sarigan] verifcation of artifacts. Detecting forgeries of art works

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] I think the Society is a good place for it to be known, much of that stuff shares common interest with the Society's themes :)

[Alma] Outside of that sort of thing, it looks a bit like a parlour trick :P

[Sarigan] I suppose.

[Alma] I think that's my main concern :)

[Alma] I will have to visit Mr. Conquaine again and explore the rest of his shop, when I have more time :)

  • Alma chatchatchats, takes Sarigan for sammiches, then drops Sarigan off :3

Ilphere and Ysabeau

  • Ilphere is putting in a few hours at the library since her time is going to be so tied up for the next couple of days. :/
  • Ysabeau goes to the library the evening after the funeral, figuring it will probably be mostly vacant on this day, so she might be able to get a lot of reading done.
  • Ysabeau is seated at a table with a tome of folklore analysis in front of her. The entry she is currently reading is about demons.
  • Ilphere gives you a little wave as she passes with a stack of tomes...
  • Ysabeau catches the movement out of the corner of her eye and looks up.

[Ysabeau] Hey - there's room at this table. ^-^

  • Ilphere smiles.

[Ysabeau] If you want to read some of those.

  • Ilphere sets the books down carefully.
  • Ysabeau is speaking softly so as not to disturb the other patrons.

[Ysabeau] How have you been?

[Ysabeau] Your House must be crazy busy with sorting out their new candidates.

[Ilphere] [q] Oh, busy, yes... Grand-Mère has named me to take her place at the Council...

  • Ysabeau 's eyes go round.

[Ilphere] [q] So I am trying to get as much work done as I can before that.

[Ysabeau] Oh - cool. So you might be instrumental in choosing our new emperor?

[Ysabeau] Wow.

[Ilphere] I am just trying to do well for our family and not make a fool of myself...

[Ilphere] But how are you?

[Ysabeau] You'll do just fine. :) Go with your gut feelings - they're usually pretty good.

[Ysabeau] I'm trying to learn about demons a little.

[Ilphere] A new project?

  • Ilphere seems interested.

[Ysabeau] Well, not my usual project...

  • Ysabeau would normally be looking up things related to songs etc. so that she can understand them better before singing them

[Ysabeau] ...

[Ilphere] No, I did not think so!

[Ysabeau] Well, there ARE songs about demon lovers et cetera. ;)

[Ilphere] Yes, I have looked at some in my studies... they sometimes have beginnings in truth, I believe

[Ysabeau] Really?

  • Ilphere nods excitedly.

[Ysabeau] There really are demons in disguise?

[Ilphere] Well, it is possible.. My studies focus on interactions between the planes, and demonic activities fall into that category...!

[Ysabeau] What sort of 'demonic activities' have you come acrss in your studies?

[Ilphere] It is known that certain demons have the ability to disguise their appearance, of course...

[Ilphere] (sec, asking)

[Ilphere] Well, there is the Arch... Of course whether that creature was a demon or some other extraplanar entity is debated still...

[Ilphere] And there are accounts of people encountering demons, capturing them and killing them.

[Ilphere] None of those had been trying to pass as humans for any *length* of time though.

[Ilphere] Why such a sudden interest?

[Ysabeau] Oh.

[Ysabeau] Well I've heard rumours that there are demons around, disguised, and some even in high positions in the government.

[Ysabeau] I was trying to see if that was even possible, or at all likely. And trying to figure out what they would gain by it? What motivates demons?

[Ilphere] Really, where did you hear such a thing?

[Ilphere] For a demon... or any extraplanar creature to pose as a human and influence affairs here... I could not guess at their motivation, but I should certainly like to investigate!

[Ilphere] Their ways are so alien to our own, it is difficult to comprehend.

  • Ilphere gets a bit of a faraway look.

[Ysabeau] I just heard it. I wonder what kind of danger we're in if it could be true.

[Ilphere] If such a thing were occurring here, right now, in the city, under our very noses...! Imagine...!

[Ysabeau] Exactly!

[Ilphere] It would be an excellent opportunity for study!

[Ilphere] Who told you this?

[Ysabeau] An old friend. I am sorry, but she may get herself in trouble if this knowledge gets back to the person who told her.

[Ilphere] Ah....

  • Ilphere looks chagrined and disappointed.

[Ysabeau] So I am afraid that I can't tell you. However, since it's only hearsay it probably wouldn't be valuable for you to meet her anyway.

[Ilphere] I would be very... discreet?

[Ilphere] Or perhaps she would tell *you* more things, that we could investigate?

[Ysabeau] YEs, i was just going to say I am not comfortable with giving her name to you but if she tells me anything more, I CERTAINLY would be happy to pass it along to you.

[Ysabeau] What she tells me.

[Ysabeau] ^-^

[Ysabeau] Maybe you'll get a thesis out of it.

[Ilphere] Oh, merci beaucoup, that would be most interesting!

  • Ilphere does in fact seem very interested.

[Ysabeau] Meanwhile, is there anyway a person could detect a demon in disguise?

[Ilphere] There are certain spells, to be sure.

[Ilphere] If we are talking about true demons, their evil nature can be revealed by clerical magic...

[Ysabeau] I wonder if anyone in the position to do so ever casts those spells on the Council members. ^-^

[Ysabeau] I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they do that.

[Ysabeau] Or the other high ups.

[Ysabeau] I doubt anyone does it; it would probably be quite rude.

[Ilphere] There are also spells which can block such detections. :/

[Ysabeau] Oh, well there you go.

[Ysabeau] Do you know of any more reliable ways to detect demons?

[Ilphere] (asking, in case I've forgotten something)

[Ilphere] There are more powerful arcane magics which would be more difficult to resist...

[Ilphere] Otherwise, not that I can think of just now...

[Ysabeau] Ah well, nothing you or I could do anyway!

[Ysabeau] If we are to investigate this we'd need someone who can do those things, wouldn't we?

[Ilphere] Yes... the spell of True Seeing is sadly beyond myself, but I believe the clerical spell for detection of evil is quite simple, if I recall correctly.

[Ysabeau] Hmm.

[Ilphere] we must have more information from your friend...

[Ysabeau] Well if she gets any you'll be the first to know. :)

[Ysabeau] After me, obviously. ;)

[Ilphere] If it were more concrete I could take it to Coco or someone, and ask for assistance in research, perhaps there would be some resources available to cover these things...!

  • Ysabeau smiles.

[Ysabeau] I'll tell you, I promise!

[Ilphere] Ah, thank you! :)

[Ilphere] I should get back to my *current* studies though...

[Ysabeau] It's extra creepy to think it could be true...

  • Ysabeau nods.

[Ysabeau] I've almost finished with what this book can tell me about demons, and then I think I had better go home and make sure Murienne gets to bed at a reasonable hour.

  • Ysabeau yawns.

[Ysabeau] And me too.

[Ilphere] If you are looking for more sources I can recommend a number of excellent books...!

[Ysabeau] Oh yes?

  • Ysabeau digs out some parchement and ink and writes down the books you recommend.
  • Ilphere rattles off a few titles.

[Ilphere] That should be a good start I think!

[Ysabeau] Thanks :)

[Ilphere] Bonne chance!

[Ysabeau] Merci beaucoup.

  • Ilphere will get on with her work, then.


Seth and Ilphere

  • Seth arrives at the Society earlier than his rendezvous with Ilphere and skulks around looking out of place until the appointed time.
  • Ilphere shows up at the appointed time to meet Seth, with her raven, Hali, perched on her shoulder.

[Seth] Oh ... hello.

  • Seth says in a slightly surprised tone.

[Ilphere] Ah, hello there, M. Argo!

[Ilphere] I hope I am not late..]!

[Seth] No, not at all ... Thank you for coming, mademoiselle.

[Seth] It is always so difficult to speak to fellow scholars during our busy meetings.

[Ilphere] How are you then?

[Seth] I'm well. And yourself?

[Ilphere] Ah yes, well, but so busy with all this politics business!

  • Ilphere laughs a little.

[Seth] Ah yes, of course ...

[Seth] My friend Menard Kizer was mentioning you the other day.

[Seth] . o O ( Stupid, stupid, stupid! )

[Ilphere] Oh?

[Ilphere] I know his brother :)

[Seth] Uh, yeah, well ... I am led to understand that Marl is putting his name forward, is that so?

[Ilphere] It is, I spoke with him a little at the meeting...

[Seth] Oh ... he was there?

[Ilphere] Well, if he were not to show up it would not have been very good for his chances!

[Seth] Ah yes, of course, I was thinking of the other meeting, *our* meeting, I am sorry.

[Seth] . o O ( Stupid, stupid! )

[Ilphere] Oh, haha, that is alright! :)

[Seth] Ah well, I suppose the political matters will work themselves out one way or another ... I am not particularly engaged in those matters at present, or indeed at all.

[Seth] I find them to be distractions from more important work.

[Ilphere] Well, I agree completely...

[Ilphere] I would not be, but it is my grandmother's wish that I go in her place.

[Ilphere] :/

[Seth] Ah, I see ... you are her heir, then?

[Ilphere] For the purposes of this council, it seems...

[Ilphere] I have been in the Library all day trying to get extra work done so that I will not be behind after all these meetings...!

[Seth] How fascinating. Well, I apologize then for calling you away from your duties at such a busy time, to discuss unrelated matters.

[Ilphere] Oh no, it is fine...

[Ilphere] What did you want to ask me?

[Seth] Well ... it is no secret that you are interested in matters relating to powerful entities from other worlds.

  • Seth shifts uncomfortably.

[Ilphere] Oh yes, it is the focus of my research! :)

[Seth] My own research, of course, deals with matters significantly more mundane, architectural matters, largely, historical questions about the construction and maintenance of the city's edifices.

[Ilphere] Yes, I remember...

  • Ilphere nods.

[Seth] But in a place such as this, in Rhenea in particular, there are some ... well, some points of intersection, one might say, between our areas of inquiry.

[Ilphere] Yes... I imagine so...

[Ilphere] You are speaking of the Arch?

[Seth] Well ... *cough* ...

[Seth] ... *gulp* yes.

[Ilphere] It *is* a fascinating artifact! I have spent much time studying it myself..!

[Seth] Truly? I would have thought that, now that it has no specific power, that it would not be of interest from your perspective.

[Ilphere] The history interests me... And to have such a tangible relic of interplanar interactions is simply amazing...

[Seth] Well, yes, quite!

[Seth] Do you ... do you know anything about the entity that was inside it?

[Ilphere] I feel that it still has secrets to yield...

[Ilphere] (well, let me ask :V)

[Ilphere] Not about it specifically, no... any real accounts of what happened are closely guarded, which is most unfortunate for those of us who wish merely to advance knowledge!

[Seth] Yes ... yes, quite.

[Ilphere] It is known that the arch and the entity or entities within it predate our presence in these lands, that it was broken and rejoined... but I'm sure you are well aware of those facts

[Seth] Yes, yes, of course.

[Ilphere] I would dearly love to read those restricted books...

[Ilphere] So much that could be learned... what a shame.

[Seth] Over the past year or so, m'lady, my research has turned increasingly towards the various magical entities used in, or alongside, our city's architecture. The arch entity is of course the most famed of these, but also the most elusive in terms of what is actually known.

[Ilphere] Yes, I have also encountered this problem. :/

[Seth] I suppose I had hoped that you might know more ... but I see that the problem is more general than I had thought - that perhaps no one knows a great deal.

[Seth] The only one I know to have any real knowledge of this matter is the Lady Vianca herself.

[Ilphere] Oh?

[Ilphere] What sources does she have?

[Seth] Well ... at least, she has suggested that she does, and I have no reason to doubt her.

[Ilphere] What did she say?

  • Ilphere is very interested.

[Seth] Well, she was remarking at the last meeting, after the talk, to M. Byrland, that she knew how to restore the Arch, but considered it highly unwise.

[Ilphere] Truly?!

[Seth] Even so I thought this was a remarkable thing to utter in a public venue.

  • Ilphere 's eyebrows shoot up.
  • Seth nods.

[Ilphere] I must speak to her myself, then... :o

[Seth] Ahh ... yes, quite.

[Seth] I should note that she was not exactly aware that I overheard her. It was very crowded.

[Ilphere] How astonishing, that she might have information of such importance, and not let on at all... only to be chatting casually about it in our very midst...!

[Ilphere] Well then anyone could have overheard her...

[Seth] Yes, well, I suppose so.

[Ilphere] Not just yourself, I would think...?

[Ilphere] I wonder why that would have come up with M. Byrland...

[Seth] People tend to ignore my presence, oftentimes.

[Ilphere] What do you mean?

  • Ilphere blinks.

[Seth] Well, mademoiselle, only that I am an unassuming person, and that I do not strike the conscious mind overmuch, excepting when I draw attention to myself.

[Ilphere] Ah, I see... I think...?

[Seth] But regardless, she was speaking in a normal tone of voice, where others might have heard her, although I do not know for any certainty that any others did in fact do so.

[Seth] As to why she would have broached the subject, I cannot say.

[Ilphere] Well... I shall speak to her at earliest opportunity! Perhaps she would be willing to share someinsights with me as she did M. Byrland...

[Seth] Possibly ...

[Ilphere] If I can discover anything of aid to your research I will certainly let you know...!

[Seth] And I, likewise, of course, mademoiselle.

[Ilphere] Thank you for proposing this meeting ... I feel there is opportunity here for both of us to advance our studies considerably!

[Seth] Uhh ... you are quite welcome, of course.

  • Ilphere is obviously quite excited at the prospect of some new information!

[Seth] I, er, look forward to having the opportunity to speak with you in the future.

[Ilphere] And I you!

[Ilphere] I must be returning to the Castalia though... !

[Seth] Ah, of course. My apologies for taking so much of your time with this trifling matter.

[Ilphere] No, no, it was most interesting.

[Ilphere] Have a pleasant day, M. Argo!

[Seth] You as well, Mlle. de Quessenet.

  • Ilphere waves as she flounces off :V


Sarigan and Sanadhil

  • Sarigan spots Sanadhil, smiles, waves, and makes his way over
  • Sarigan seems awfully excited
  • Sanadhil waves back

[Sanadhil] Hello Sarigan

[Sanadhil] Did you ome out to watch the action as well?

[Sarigan] I wouldn't miss it :) All this fuss!

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sarigan] I'm glad to see the guards out though, I am a little worried things might go a little unpleasantly

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] t is somewhat reassuring, though there are an awful lot of people

[Sarigan] it is a bit of a mob, but still thats to be expected.

[Sarigan] I am curious, what sort of method does your homeland use for promoting officials?

[Sanadhil] Cozovode is a hereditary monarchy.

  • Sarigan nods

[Sanadhil] I'm sure the people here would not find it very satisfarctry, but it's worked for, well, thousands and thousands of years

  • Sarigan nods

[Sanadhil] Our emperors are all much longer lived, as well

[Sanadhil] Things are generally quite stable.

[Sarigan] I know some small factions are pushing for it here, but it seems like an invitation to chaos with our house system.

[Sanadhil] Lesser officials generally find their place through a mix of patronage, skill, and heredity

[Sanadhil] though i believe there are examinations for some positions, at least

  • Sarigan nods

[Sanadhil] what do you think of the levellers?

[Sarigan] I think its an interesting idea, though I think they expect to much change to quickly

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sarigan] I won't pretend to know whats best - but it is awfully exciting to see all this... potential for change if nothing else

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] It's all very novel for me - I can't say I've given too much thought to Averyrone politics, but they seem to be everywhere now.

  • Sanadhil frowns, thinking of the scene he witnessed on the first night of mourning

[Sarigan] Is there something the matter?

[Sanadhil] No -it is just interesting the different ways people have reactd, I suppose...

[Sanadhil] There are some disturbing extremists in the city.

[Sarigan] if there is anything history teaches us about people its that they are prone to extremism at times.

[Sanadhil] indeed.

[Sarigan] I think a lot of the more extreme groups will find themselves at a bit of a loss. I think people will be leary now, with all the talk of danger and such.

[Sanadhil] Perhaps...

[Sarigan] not to mention the future political ramifications of being associated with an unsuccessful fringe group

  • Sanadhil considers.

[Sanadhil] It isn't just politics, though.

[Sarigan] no, its too tied to religion for that

[Sanadhil] I live quite close to the Black Down, and I have seen people gathering there...

  • Sanadhil frowns again

[Sarigan] that seems strange, most people aviod the Black Down when they can

[Sanadhil] Its a wonderful place for observing the movement of the stars.... But these seem attracted for other reasons.

[Sarigan] oh?

[Sarigan] some sort of excavation or such?

[Sanadhil] No. It's a cult fo some kind.

[Sanadhil] Chanting drumming... less mentionable activities. Calling out to the Arch in evil tongues...

[Sanadhil] Extremists, as i said.

[Sarigan] :O

[Sanadhil] indeed.

[Sarigan] thats alarming!

[Sanadhil] Humanity is fascinating, if somewhat unsettling at times -_-

[Sarigan] I wonder what they think the arch would do for them o.O

[Sarigan] ... do you know what they were speaking?

[Sanadhil] what tongue?

  • Sarigan nods

[Sanadhil] No, it was unfamiliar to me.

[Sanadhil] (though, mental note, I was going to see if I could figure it out ;p)

[Sarigan] (it is likely known that S has a thing with languages - he does translation work for some folks in the society)

[Sanadhil] (yeah - I have a thing for languages also ;)

[Sanadhil] (I can ask Julie but she is probably too busy)

[Sarigan] I would be interested in hearing some of it - but not interested enough to want to come across them!

[Sanadhil] No, i shouldn't think so.

[Sanadhil] I've been meaning to see if I can determine it, but I have been distracted by other studies

[Sarigan] If you recall some of the sounds, and could write them out, I would be happy to look in to it as well

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Oh course.

[Sanadhil] (of)

  • Sanadhil eyes the cleric
  • Sarigan looks so young to be this dorky about languages and history that its probably a little funny

[Sanadhil] (been there! How old is S?)

[Sarigan] (looks about 16)

[Sanadhil] Surely the church must keep tabs on these 'heresies'?

[Sarigan] I'm sure they do - but they don't exactly encourage young members to go digging through those particular records :/

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] Of course. You are much younger than the other clerics I've seen.

[Sarigan] its hard to get taken seriously, but that will come :)

[Sanadhil] I've wonderd about that. Even the Countes de Béziers has only recently complete her trainig, has she not?

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] . o ( tell me about it :V )

[Sanadhil] That I can sympathize with.

  • Sanadhil barely look much older than you

[Sarigan] I can't remember a time when I didn't feel a calling to serve in the clergy :) I am very lucky to do well enough at what I care about - I've managed to acheive a great deal in a short time, with help :)

[Sanadhil] I feel the same about my studies.

  • Sarigan nods

[Sanadhil] But here I must make my own way.

[Sarigan] Is it difficult for you, studying so far from home?

  • Sanadhil considers

[Sanadhil] In some ways, I suppose. As you said, sometimes it is difficult to get taken seriously, especially as an outsider.

[Sanadhil] I am hoping I can prove myself through some collaborative work with profssor lawfeld - we shall see.

  • Sanadhil 's tone is casual, but he still comes across as very determined

[Sarigan] I am given to understand, and forgive me if I am being overly forward, that your people live much longer - surely you have plenty of time to make a name :)

[Sanadhil] Longer than most, in any case

[Sanadhil] Assuming things here do not get entirely out of hand -_-

[Sarigan] hopefully we will make it through without any violence

[Sanadhil] I admit - I'm not full blooded Cozovode, and I am still accustomed to thinking of myself as having *less* time, relatively, rather than more.

  • Sanadhil nods

[Sanadhil] My people have very high standards - they can afford to.

  • Sarigan nods

[Sarigan] I don't know much about Cozavode, I assume though that the main faith there is different

[Sanadhil] yes, very.

[Sanadhil] we do not worship any gods.

[Sarigan] none at all?

  • Sarigan sounds surprised

[Sarigan] are your people not reborn?

[Sanadhil] (sec....)

[Sanadhil] 9I e-mailed Julie to ask about a bunch of this stuff but we didn't think it was pressing :V)

[Sanadhil] No.

[Sanadhil] When we die, our substance returns to the stars.

  • Sanadhil clearly includes himself in the elven group in this instance.
  • Sarigan appears to think about it for a moment

[Sarigan] Prehaps your people get all their life times at once.

  • Sarigan smiles

[Sanadhil] I don't believe that it works that way.

  • Sarigan shrugs

[Sarigan] hopefully it will be a long while before either of us is sure about it

[Sanadhil] quite, yes.

  • Sanadhil will smile at that.

[Sarigan] what do you think about our cycle? it must be quite hard to swallow for you, coming from an athiest community.

  • Sarigan doesn't sound confrontational at all, just curious
  • Sanadhil looks around and considers.

[Sanadhil] Perhaps a different venue would be more appropriate for this conversation?

  • Sarigan doesn't quite smile

[Sarigan] of course

[Sanadhil] (we could make an appointment, if you wanted?)

[Sarigan] (sure)


Alma and Altheo

  • Alma lives in a very nice building in the Grand Vallon.
  • Altheo is dressed rather nicely and probably doesn't look very out of place.
  • Altheo walks there.

[Alma] * Marielle, Alma's dark haired maid, will let you in.

[Alma] (I'm assuming you introduce yourself by name to the maid :P)

  • Alma joins you in a few minutes, wearing priest's robes and her holy symbol, her hair looking a little strange, still done up fancy for the Great Council. She looks a little tired too.

[Alma] Good evening Mr. Renaud.

[Altheo] It is good to see you. But I'm worried the evening is not going to be so good.

  • Altheo seems happy to see you, but obviously worried about the days events.
  • Alma picks up a special edition broadsheet from a side table.

[Alma] I haven't had time to read how it all seems to the public...

[Alma] Is that what you mean?

[Altheo] Well, yes.

[Altheo] But also how it will affect the Levellers as a whole.

[Altheo] I was out there when it started.

[Alma] I'm not sure I follow...

[Altheo] well...to be honest, I think Thea, the one that was organizing the rally, kind of wanted this kind of thing to happen.

[Altheo] Or if she didn't, she is dagerously stupid.

[Alma] It's not a stretch, considering she didn't wait to see the result of Aden Oliver's attempt...

[Altheo] What did he attempt?

[Alma] Mr. Oliver nominated himself as Emperor, without the backing of House Wolf...

[Alma] You had not heard?

[Altheo] to be honest, I was mostly concened with if the Riot would spread.

  • Alma nods.

[Alma] Both he and Loick Silveira. The Great Council chose to accept Aden for consideration.

[Altheo] Does he have conections to Thea?

[Alma] I've learned Aden Oliver is influential among the Levellers.

[Altheo] interesting.

[Altheo] To be honest, I feel Thea should probably be charged in this manner.

[Altheo] She physically tried to push past the guards, without really giving them any time to see if she would be granted access.

[Altheo] (manner = matter)

[Altheo] But because of the simpathy over the dead Levellers, I doubt it will happen.)

  • Alma sighs.

[Alma] Is there something you think that I can do in this matter?

[Altheo] Well, you are a member of the council.

  • Alma nods.

[Altheo] And I am an eye witness to what happened....

[Altheo] So I thought it at least prudent that I let you know how it transpired.

[Altheo] The original shot wasn't aimed at anyone, the gun went off accidently when the guard got hit in the head with a rock.

[Altheo] He did push Thea to the ground when she tried to push past him, but to be honest, thats his job.

[Alma] All the while, inside, Aden Oliver was getting his way.

  • Alma shakes her head.

[Altheo] I know.

[Alma] And now a dozen move on...

[Altheo] I think it would be important to find out just how close Aden and Thea are.

[Altheo] but I'm not in a position to do so.

[Alma] I don't know anyone in the Levellers myself... but I can bring what you've said to the guard.

[Altheo] I was hoping you could ask around more about Aden.

[Altheo] taking it to the guard won't be that useful. They will back their own people no matter what.

[Altheo] Bringing it up to council members would probably but much more helpful.

[Altheo] its important the levellers don't look like the victims here.

[Alma] I will see what I can do in the Council, but I am new both to my seat and the city and I don't believe I know anyone in Oliver's circle... and I'm not sure this will come up in Council proceedings... but we are given opportunity to speak with the candidates for the throne, so perhaps Oliver is willing to denounce what Thea Vermillion did.

[Altheo] It could be helpful.

[Altheo] Do you know anyone in house Wolf?

[Alma] None intimately, no...

[Alma] I am more likely to know those in the Order of the Wolf :)

[Alma] I will meet with a friend of mine who may be able to point me in the right direction though.

[Altheo] That could be helpful.

  • Altheo smiles at you.

[Alma] Is there anything else tonight, Mr. Renaud?

[Alma] ... I don't usually rush guests from my home, but it has been a long day.

[Altheo] I understand.

[Altheo] Thank you for your time.

[Altheo] Oh, one last thing though, that necklace...

[Altheo] did you get a funny feeling about it?

[Alma] I returned to Mr. Conquaine's shop and spoke with him about it... it's still a bit of a mystery.

[Altheo] Well...I looked into its history in some pretty shady areas. I don't have any concrete information...but you should check it for evil.

[Alma] He was unable to identify it, which suggests it is of such power it cannot be identified, or that it's magic is perhaps a deception, but the power I felt from it is not such that it would be an artifact, but more powerful than simple illusion.

[Alma] Quite shady... you recall that it was stolen from the owner I examined? It was then given in payment for a murder...

[Altheo] hmmmm...that would fit.

[Alma] You suspect it could be evil? The item itself?

[Alma] Do you know something else of the item now? Perhaps Mr. Conquaine should not buy it...

[Altheo] I'm not sure how all these things work, but in my business, I learn to read how people say things more than what they say.

[Altheo] some people are kind of scared of that object.

[Altheo] on the contrary, he most definitely should buy it.

[Altheo] because no one else that will buy it will be as honest as him.

[Altheo] and of course...he has you to check it out for him.

[Alma] I will send a message to him tonight suggesting he be careful with it.

[Alma] I will visit him in the morning.

[Altheo] I appreciate that.

[Altheo] I kind of like that man, and I hope he sticks around.

[Alma] Thank you again, Mr. Renaud.

[Alma] Marielle will see you out.

[Altheo] and thank you.

  • Altheo will bow gracefully and depart.

[Alma] I am glad to see you are invested in the health of the Empire :)

[Altheo] I like people.

[Alma] Me too :)